By the Midnight Sun by Echo
Summary: Without giving too much away, Logan’s had a tough time recently, and escapes the Mansion with Gambit for some much needed R&R. A chance encounter, however, will change his reasons for returning to Westchester.

For Ororo Munroe, life has been hard enough as a mutant without the added curse of a Day Walker (damn, spoiled that one, huh?). At war with herself and this condition, she will reach out to the X-Men for help…and one of them accepts the call.
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Horror, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 52776 Read: 25235 Published: 02-06-06 Updated: 09-24-06

1. Prologue by Echo

2. Chapter 01 by Echo

3. Chapter 02 by Echo

4. Chapter 03 by Echo

5. Chapter 04 by Echo

6. Chapter 05 by Echo

7. Chapter 06 by Echo

8. Chapter 07 by Echo

9. Chapter 08 by Echo

10. Chapter 09 by Echo

11. Chapter 10 by Echo

12. Chapter 11 by Echo

13. Chapter 12 by Echo

Prologue by Echo
By the Midnight Sun
PROLOGUE:

‘Three years…I can’t believe I wasted three whole years..!’

With furious, jerking movements Logan jammed articles of clothing into a large duffel. Much later he’d be sorry he wasn’t more aware of his choices, but at the moment all he wanted was to get packed and get the hell out of Dodge.

“Logan, please”wait!”

He cringes slightly at the usually soft, feminine voice behind him, now raised with a level of panic. He still remembered with some pain how that voice used to clam his mid-night terrors…

“Logan, please, I’m so sorry! Please, let’s talk about this”“
…and the sound of that same voice raised in ecstasy to the touch of another man.

‘Three fuckin’ years…’

Shoving the drawer to the clothes dresser with such force the wall rattled slightly, he turned quickly and headed to the bathroom. Sniffling apologies, the woman followed, close enough to touch him yet she seemed to dare not.

“Can’t believe this shit…right under my own god dammed nose”“, his mumbling was closer to a feral growl as he brushed the toiletries on the sink inside the bag with one sweep of his hand. A few of the intended items missed the jagged entrance of the bag but he didn’t seem to notice or care.

James.”

For the first time he raised his eyes to her as he turned toward the door framing her slim form. She held her ragged breath at the look he spared her. He didn’t even look at strangers with such dispassion as he threw her way now. “Don’t. Call. Me. That. Not you, not anymore.”

“B-but Ja”Logan, just”“

“That’s it. I’m done.” He stepped forward, hoping she wouldn’t be dumb enough to hold a front. No such luck.

“I can’t let you just walk out on me”on Us”like this! I won’t.”

He was in the middle of a sigh when she began her plead, but now his feral expression returned at that remark. “Me, walk out??! Lady, you gotta be shittin’ me. I ain’t the one caught with their hand in some one else’s ‘cookie jar’. Or should I say pickle jar??”

She winced at the crude joke, but stood her ground, hands braced against the frame. “It was a mistake, Logan. I’m sorry! We both are.”

“Yeah, you sure are. Now MOVE.” He hoisted the bag over his shoulder, ready to put some distance between them before his temper flared again. There was some part of him that was proud he hadn’t lopped off heads at this point. He also knew that wouldn’t last the longer he stayed in the House. It was difficult enough seeing her, but if he had to be in the same vicinity as that sonuvabitch he’d lose it for sure.

“Logan,” she pleaded, “I’m trying to make things right. I’m”“

“I said move, dammit!”

“”not giving up on Us.”

‘Jesus, enough is enough’, the thought came almost as quick as his temper returned, and Logan found himself suddenly leaning closer to her, his right fist shooting up approximately eye level to her, close enough she let out a yelp of surprise and drew back. Though Logan had no intention of striking, he allowed the tips of his claws to peek through the skin of his knuckles just for effect.

They stared at one another for several seconds, apparently unaware of the insistent banging on the bedroom door or the voice beyond.

Finally Logan broke the silence. “That’s why I’m leavin’. If you don’t know me well enough by now…”

She shrank away from the door’s opening finally, unable to cover the instinctive fright she’d displayed.

Open the door, damn you! I swear, if you hurt her--!”

Logan growled as he swung open the heavy oak wood door,
having finally realized that hated voice was on the other side. The two men eyed each other for half a moment; Logan was warring with himself as to whether or not he could (or should) attempt to pass without taking a shot. “She ain’t the one you should be frettin’ over, Slim.”

Scott cocked a brow at that, but before he could respond”

‘Oh hell, why not?’

Wolverine rushed him, knocking the younger man back against the opposite wall. The force alone was enough to knock the wind out of Cyclops, but Logan’s adamantium-laced frame kept him firmly in place. With his arms pinned successfully, Scott was completely helpless, unable to remove his ruby shades.

“Logan!” She came up behind them, her finely manicured fingers covering her mouth. She could end this now, with one telekinetic thought, but there was a very perverse wish to see this…

Scott held his ground (such as it was) however, despite the odd feeling of his bladder threatening to loosen. “You wouldn’t dare.”

In response, one slender nine-inch blade sang, striking the wood at the right of Scott’s throat. The gasps around him alerted Logan his little conversation had probably awakened some of the others. ‘Good’, he thought, ‘an audience.’ “Oh? And who’s gonna stop me, huh? Chuck’s outta town, you don’t seem to be going anywhere. And I doubt anyone else here is stupid enough to play hero.” He paused, realizing the unintended joke, and chuckled once. “I could run you through right now, and there ain’t a damn thing to stop me.”

The slow sound of metal against metal and bone was the only sound as the blade opposite the first slid out. There wasn’t enough space to ensure Scott’s neck wouldn’t get hit, and he knew it.

Mon ami.”

With an almost knowing grin, Logan turned slightly to see Remy LeBeau standing not a few feet away, Rogue behind his shoulder. “Oh yeah, I f’got you, Cajun. Gotta be one dumb one in the bunch.”

Remy only grinned, knowing Logan well enough that that wasn’t completely meant as an insult. As for Logan, he didn’t seem to question the fact Remy was dressed to leave while everyone else still donned sleepwear. He and the Swamp Rat had an understanding, after all. They were there for one another even in the roughest of spots. It had been Remy to put his own neck on the block and alert Logan he thought something was going on behind the Wolverine’s back. He evidently was not the only one who knew but definitely the only one to step up. Logan would always respect that about the “kid”.

Wood creaked as the other adamantium claw returned to its home, and Logan backed away from Scott, the X-Men’s leader out of breath from being crushed against the wall. His knees buckled and he slid to a sitting position on the carpeted hall’s floor, coughing to catch his breath. Gathering his bag once more, Logan didn’t spare either of them a glance as he headed down the hall.

Remy pulled at his gloves, then gave Rogue a quick pat on the cheek. “Don’ worry, chere. Remy’ll be in touch as soon as the Wolverine’s had some time to cool down.”

With that he hefted his own bag, and headed after Logan. Before he passed Scott (who was still struggling to stand) a slender arm reached out to stay him. “Remy”“

“If yer goin’, LeBeau, let’s book!” Logan’s rough voice was near the end of the hall but still managed to shake things on the wall.

He looked down into her sparkling eyes and shrugged dispassionately. “You heard de man, Jeannie. Time to go.”

And with that, the young Cajun jogged to meet Logan in the garage.



End Prologue.
Chapter 01 by Echo
By the Midnight Sun
CHAPTER ONE


Sacre blieu! What a dump!” Remy dropped his duffel in the hall outside the apartment, secretly hoping Logan was joking about staying here, and that the sudden movement had scared off some crawling things that’d come out to investigate the new arrivals.

Logan growled a snort. “Ah, looks like somebody got used to the high life at Chuck’s.”

Remy waved off that crack as Logan dug in his jeans pocket for the keys. “Remy don’ tink it’s too much t’ask for a place not already bein’ sublet by three species o’ insect. Thought you said a lawyer friend of yers owns dis place?”

As they stepped inside the small 2 bedroom complex in the heart of Hell’s Kitchen, Logan tossed his duffel on the nearest chair on his way to the fridge. “Hey, the place may not be the Ritz, but a man can still be proud to call somethin’ his own. Besides, he’s not one o’ those stuff-shirt corporate-type lawyers. He does a lot of free shit…among other things.”

Remy shrugged, carefully stepping inside the room and mindful not to come into physical contact with anything. It wasn’t the type of place even a street urchin like LeBeau wished to call a haunt. He had definitely still seen worse in his lifetime, but that didn’t mean he wanted to relive those years. “Only f’you, mon ami…only f’you…” he chuckled, mumbling to no one in particular.

Logan wasn’t paying attention anyway, his wild hair hidden by the open refrigerator. Sounds of a few spare items being moved carelessly in great empty space met Gambit’s ears, then joined by a series of swear words. “Sunuva”y’gotta be fuckin’ kiddin’ me. That rat-bastard--!”

“Uh, are we damning anyone Gambit knows?” Remy leaned against the fridge door, peeking over it as Logan continued rummaging hopelessly.

“He said he’d refill my stash. Ain’t nothin’ in ‘ere but sports drink, moldy cheese and a box o’ bakin’ soda.” Logan leaned up, a very dissatisfied expression coloring his face.

“Ah, de lawyer.”

Dismissing the disappointing contents of the ancient fridge, Logan retreated from its hollow depths, mumbling, “Man shares his beer with a friend that’s hurtin’, look how he repays ya. Ppfft.”

Remy suddenly perks up, following Logan to the tall window in the small living room area. “Ey, it’s a drink you lookin’ for, ami, Gambit knows where to find one. Close enough, too.”

A wiry dark brow rose from its brooding post above Logan’s eye. “Yeh? Cajun, you treatin’?”

Dark crimson irises sparkling mischievously, Remy suddenly produced a glittering piece of plastic in silver; one of Xavier Institute’s Platinum cards. He took it only because he thought to use it in paying for their lodging, but the way he figured it this could be considered a business expense as well…Besides, he couldn’t dare be caught short of funds with Logan as a drinking buddy (he’d learned that the hard way, of course). “With an open credit-line, even you couldn’t dent.”

Grabbing his worn leather jacket and the keys to Scott’s pilfered cherry-red Viper, Logan was already half-way to the door when he threw over his shoulder, “Wanna make a bet?”

-----

Half the night and several bars later…

Logan, who was just getting started, spun the expensive sports car around the street corner, catching the edge of the curb and nearly a pedestrian or two. He was by no means inebriated but the amount of alcohol warring with his mutated metabolism definitely had him about to piss himself. As the car slowed, Remy gave an adrenaline-charged cheer beside him, then promptly let his head fall between his knees to puke.

“Shit, Cajun! I told ya to aim for the glove compartment, didn’t I? ‘Supposed t’leave ol’ One Eye a nice surprise.” Logan chuckled, then gave his friend a few sympathetic pats on the back before jumping out of the convertible. He stood on the sidewalk several seconds as he looked for the nearest open establishment. Usually a man like Logan could be content to ‘go’ anywhere, but for some reason then he wanted to piss and drink almost simultaneously.

Across the street, there was a line of people at the entrance to a local club, The Xile, and even from that distance Logan could feel the pulsating beat within. Maybe it was the slight buzz he’d managed to obtain from three kegs, but he felt something call to him. As Gambit finally finished retching and seemed to collect himself, wobbling close to Logan’s side, the Wolverine started to cross the street. “This place is new. Don’t ‘member it being here last time I was in town. C’mon, Cajun. Let’s Christen it.”

With a surprising amount of jovialness despite his precarious position, Remy followed, desperately trying to clear his head. “De ‘Egg-sile’, huh? Sound like Remy kind a’ place…”

Definitely as an after-thought, Logan paused, turning to the car to remotely activate the Shiar-inspired security system. After all, he didn’t think he was done fucking up Scott’s favorite ride before he’d feel like having it returned to the mansion.

As other patrons waited patiently to be admitted in by the club’s freakishly-muscled bouncers, Gambit followed the brazen Wolverine straight up to the door, moving people aside”in some cases with more than just the funk of Budweiser rolling off of them.

“Hold it, Dumb and Dumber,” one of the two bouncers held a meaty paw out to stay the two slammed X-men. “End of the line’s round the corner.”

“Then you’d better hurry on back there, dumbass.” Wolverine didn’t even slow down as he dragged Remy by the collar behind him. The Cajun”apparently unaware of the potential danger”laughed the ugly laugh of a seriously-intoxicated individual.

“Yeah, ‘Tiny’. Hey, you got eh’twin, monmi! Wolvie, de be 2 of ‘em!”

“You talkin’ ta me, you fuckin’ French reject?” The other bouncer stepped forward then, cracking his knuckles in anticipation.

“Hold it, you two.”

Logan paused long enough to give this new younger man a once over. He was standing in the shadows behind the bouncers, and his command had stopped them cold. As he came forward with a small (but noticeable) limp, he regarded Logan and Remy as if they were the worst level of Euro-trash. “’S’alright, kid, trust me we don’t need no saves.”

This seemed to amuse the man, as he looked at them for a moment. Logan could’ve sworn the man recognized them. “I’m sure. However, if you’re not too drunk to see, this establishment is for mutants only. Inebriated Flat-Liners with attitude need not apply.”

Something about the way the man said that raised Logan’s ‘bullshit’ meter, but he only smirked as this prompted the bouncers to advance. With barely a thought he raised his fist, the middle claw suddenly extending in the bright moonlight. Several of the waiting patrons gasped, and all of them gave the two a wider berth. “Is that mutated enough for ya, Junior?”

The man’s eyes narrowed briefly, though his thin tanned lips stretched into a perfect smile. He nodded once, the bouncers stepped back grudgingly, and Logan advanced the steps. They moved to intercept Gambit, however.

Rolling his eyes, Logan sneered, “The kid’s with me. He blows shit up, ‘kay? Jesus…all this for a piss and a pint??”

With the second approval, the X-men disappeared into the club’s smoky interior. The first bouncer grimaced, turning to the ‘maitre d’. “You want me to keep an eye on them, Mr. Forge?”

The man with the limp only shook his head, still smiling. “Don’t bother, Lucas. I’ll take care of it. Next!


Inside Club Xile…

Several minutes, two loosened bladders and emptied stomach later, Logan and Remy emerged from the men’s room newly refreshed and thirsty. Their need for drinks was temporarily halted, however, as the two noticed the club for the first time. Or, more to the point, the people inside.

On the wide dance floor stationed ground level of the multi-tiered room, the mass of moving bodies ebbed and flowed like a wave. As new patrons entered from outside, each one seemed to go through a transformation of sorts, displaying their X-genome given powers as a sort of badge. Even those apparently unfamiliar with one another seemed to acknowledge this and give an approval, if in nothing more than the nod of a
head.

Young men and women who were obviously not simple homo-sapiens twisted and turned, cheering the D.J. above them on a raised dais who orchestrated the unusual tempest of mutant bodies like Apollo on the storm of the seas. All over the dance floor, people were openly displaying mutant powers”a pyro-tech over on the left; a young girl on the right dancing and remerging with 3 ‘clones’ of herself; the speed-freak who zipped across the floor taking orders for drinks, apparently an employee.

Remy and Logan exchanged glances, then slowly turned back to look again. “Logan…where de’ fuck are we??”

“Cajun, ya got me.”

Just then, the speedster zipped past them, then came back, a wide smile on his young face. The boy couldn’t have been older than 21. “Firsttime, huh?Youguys’lllovethisplaceCanIgetchaadrinkcigarcigarettes?”

Remy just blinked at the boy, his beer-drowned brain still uncomprehending. Logan watched the antsy kid with near amusement, and said, “Show us where the bar’s at, kid.”

“Rightthisway, sir!”

After the kid had found them open space at the wide bar, right above the dance floor, Logan and Remy settled on the bar chairs each with a drink in hand.

“Remy never seen anythin’ like dis before, ami.”

Logan nodded, lip-deep in his domestic, as one of the bartenders came up behind them. A young woman around college-age, she gave Wolverine an appreciative glance. “Got meself two newbies, eh see. Ye fellahs will never find a place quite like The X-ile. Ev’ry mutant in th’ five Burroughs makes th’ place th’ hottest nightspot on the east coast.”

“How long has this place been ‘round?” Logan’s interest was temporarily piqued.

The bartender continued wiping out the shot-glass she was holding. “Oh, ‘bout te celebrate its three year anniversary, she is. Took a lotta B.S. & T to see her up an’ runnin’, but that’s the sort o’ thing Eh’ve come t’expect from the blokes who run the joint.”

Logan’s eyes narrowed at that. “Yeah? And just what type o’ people open a mutants-only night club in the middle o’ NYC? They ain’t afraid of being messed with?”

Before the bartender could answer, the song being played ended, and the DJ suddenly came over the mic: “Ladies and gentlemen, Club Xile thanks you and welcomes all our new patrons! Here at Xile, you don’t have to be anyone but exactly who you are. So let it all hang out, New York!” The crowd cheered. “And lose all control!!!”

The crowd roared suddenly, many heads turning to the entrance. “What’s goin’ on? Some celebrity?”

The bartender nodded at Logan, her dark eyes glittering in the artificial light. “Ye
asked t’bout the type o’ people it took te run this place. Well, there’s one o’em now.”

Logan turned in his seat, leaning over the rail of the platform to see below, where a spotlight was poised at the entrance to the club. The crowd hushed momentarily, expectantly, until the DJ began the new song, at which point the whole place seemed to erupt. As they sang along to the haunting song, She walked in, straight through the swaying masses, enveloped by them, touching them, one of them. Logan watched, unaware he’d come to stand at the railing above her.


“Oh, the night is my world
City light painted girl
In the day nothing matters
It’s the night time that flatters
In the night, no control
Through the wall something’s breaking
Wearing white as you’re walkin
Down the street of my soul…

You take my self, you take my self control
You got me livin’ only for the night
Before the morning comes, the story’s told
You take my self, you take my self control…”



With short-cut hair white as a Ghost, that seemed to float in waves over one eye but tapered to a v-cut at the nape of her neck, this vision seemed to float among the denizens of Xile like a queen above her loyal subjects. As Logan did a double-take, he realized she was floating. The woman wore an outfit of the finest leather, from the form-fitting bodice and long-sleeved, tailed jacket to the skin-tight pants and stiletto-heeled boots. At first he thought it was all black, but as the spotlight stayed with her, it shone a dark blue that complimented her haunting eyes. Skin the color of milk chocolate rose in the swell of her breasts over the tight, obviously constricting top bodice.

“Logan? Logan??” Remy struggled to stand with the pulsing in his chest and head matching the rhythmic beat of the music. Logan probably couldn’t hear him over the den, or more likely chose to ignore him, as his grey eyes bore into the sight of the woman below them…

She moved purposefully, acknowledging the many patrons of the club who stopped her, to praise her, to worship her.

‘Wait. Blue eyes??’ Logan suddenly shook his head to clear it, abruptly coming to the embarrassing realization the woman had raised her face and was staring directly at him.


“Another night, another day goes by
I never stop myself to wonder why
You help me to forget to play my role
You take my self, you take my self control

I, I live among the creatures of the night
I haven’t got the will to try and fight
Against a new tomorrow, so I guess I’ll just believe it
That tomorrow never comes

A safe night, I’m living in the forest of my dream
I know the night is not as it would seem
I must believe in something, so I’ll make myself believe it
That this night will never go…”



As the woman made rounds in the dancing patrons, eventually making her way up to the V.I.P. tables in the upper tiers, their eye contact broke. Logan wasn’t at all sure what it was about her that sped his heart rate, but it also raised the hackles at the nape of his neck.

“The chere down there”she runs this place?” Remy immediately regretted the quick act of swinging around toward the bartender as he asked the question, squinting his eyes momentarily from the pain.

The female ‘tender smiled broadly, nodding with the pride of someone pleased with their status of association. “That’s our Boss. She owns the joint. Most of the day-t’-day nonsense is handled by her business partner, though. Ye prob’ly met’tim out front, ye did.”

Logan grimaced at the fresh memory of the snobbish man vainly attempting to hide some malady in his own person. But he couldn’t keep from looking at the woman who owned the place. She seemed to be taking her time getting up to the higher tiers, but definitely on a collision course with them. As he settled back down at the bar counter beside Remy, Logan reacquainted himself with his mug, which the bartender had thoughtfully refreshed. “The lady have a name?”

The bartender absently refilled the drinks of two other patrons, then slid Remy another Vodka-straight as she answered, “Well, you kin’ call ‘er Miss Munroe. Meself an’ the general manager, Mr. Forge, are of the few blokes round here what knows ‘er proper name. Is alright, she’s good te’ the staff. We all love’r round ‘ere.”

More info than Logan asked, he shrugged, dismissing the exotic club owner and her pinched GM as he finished his 3rd beer. He turned to Remy, who was contemplating the distance to the bathroom again. “Well, Cajun, ye ready to hit the road? I’ve had enough of the ‘club scene’ for one lifetime.”

Remy held up one hand, then quickly escaped to the restroom. Logan laughed, a real, robust sound that he hadn’t heard come out of himself in weeks.

“Friend canne’ andle his ale, eh see…” the bartender grinned and scooped up their glasses.

Logan tossed her the Platinum card to pay for the drinks. “Oh, he did pretty well. You didn’t have to drive over here with me on a gut full o’ whiskey.”

The woman chuckled, handing Logan the receipt to sign and the card. As Logan swiveled around on his barstool, he caught sight of a flash of white to his right. As he looked up, the Xile’s owner was coming his way.

She stopped at several tables to laugh and greet her patrons, every few steps her blue gaze flirting back to meet his. Logan wasn’t sure if it was just the liquor thinking for him or not, but the closer she got, the Hotter she looked to him. A career drinker, Logan wasn’t the type to automatically trust the alcohol-aided senses. Even though he had a definite advantage with his quick healing factor, the barrage of alcohol still threatened to give him an altered sense or two.

Her sultry steps seemed to slow as she neared their area of the bar, and she tossed her head in a vain attempt to get her cream-colored locks out of her eyes. Sliding along the counter to a stop just a foot or two from Logan’s chair, she leaned over the bar and smiled a smile that showed no teeth toward Logan’s bartender. “Angela, how are you doing tonight?”

The bartender smiled a toothy grin, immediately handing Miss Munroe a dry martini. “Ev’rythin’s fine, Miss Munroe. I’m doin’ just fine.”

Nodding, the dark blue-clad mistress plucked the olive from the glass, popping it into her mouth before she began to move on. As she passed Logan, he felt her intentional brush against his body, turning slightly to meet his gaze with a small grin. Logan felt the adamantium blades beneath his knuckles begin to itch; something that rarely happened unless he sensed a fight. That look she gave him was hardly threatening; as a matter-of-fact, it did the exact opposite to certain parts of him (still unaffected by the alcohol in his system). As he watched her disappear through a set of guarded doors marked ‘authorized personnel only’, Logan shook his head with a wry grin. He’d leave that one alone, he thought. ‘I ain’t got time for that kind o’ trouble…’

As Remy came tumbling up to him, Logan patted the Cajun on the shoulder. “Alright, Remy, I’ll have pity on ya. Let’s hit the road.”

Behind them, Angela picked up the phone posted on the bar’s wall. “Yes’m. Aye ma’am, their leavin’ right now…”

“Good. Thank you, Angela.”

---

A few moments later, Logan led Remy back across the street where a group of young thugs were appreciatively casing the Viper. Evidently stumped as to why they couldn’t get it to start, a few of them considered just jacking the expensive tires instead.

Logan chuckled his trademark gruff laugh as he activated the remote, several beeps sounding off the car. The hoods jumped, some of them scattering like so many cockroaches.

“Hey, man, didn’t mean no trouble…just checkin’ out your ride is all…” One of the youths, a tall kid in his late teens and obviously a mutant if his greenish-brown skin was any indication, waved in a placating fashion as he backed away from where he’d been admiring the 20 CD disc-changer and the XM-radio.

Logan paused from hopping in, holding Remy back. He suddenly changed his mind about riding back to the apartment. He turned and gave the kid a hard stare. “Oh yeah? How old’re you, kid?”

“Sixteen, bro. What of it?”

Logan suddenly tossed the keys the boy’s way, the youth catching them in surprise. “Close enough, I guess. You want it, you can have it.” With that, Logan started walking off in the direction of the apartment. Remy did a triple-take, then came after him.

“Ye sure you wanna do that, ami? That’s Sc”“

“I know what it is. I also found out who was done in it. C’mon, Gumbo, a walk’ll do ya some good.” Logan smirked, hanging an arm over Gambit’s shoulder as the boy and his friends suddenly erupted in cheers and piled in the car (one of them groaned as he realized he’d stepped in three inches of puke).

Logan turned away as the teens peeled away with the cherry-red sports car, wildly driving down the street. He grinned wider at Gambit’s hesitant expression. “Besides, ol’ One Eye and I got an even trade: One Red Viper for another.”



To Be Continued…
Chapter 02 by Echo
CHAPTER TWO

It was about half past four, as Logan stood on the street corner near the entrance to a dark alley, waiting for Gambit to finish his business. After a few moments the disheveled Cajun emerged from the dark alley, wiping his pale lips with the sleeve of his jacket. He looked a royal mess, and there was a part of the Wolverine that regretted subjecting the man to one of his harsh all-night benders. Remy was a good friend, but ultimately a fool in believing he could keep up with Logan’s notorious drinking abilities.

As LeBeau matched steps with Logan, he noted how quiet the older man had become as they made their way back to the apartment Logan’s friend used as a crash-point. It wasn’t really Remy’s place to open the sort of wounds he knew Logan was tending right then, but he felt some morbid curiosity along with the concern of a friend. “So, mon ami… What now?”

His hands buried deep in his blue jeans, Logan didn’t answer initially, only smiling sadly to himself as he acknowledged that was probably as close as Gambit dared to come in asking about his personal life. As much as Remy wasn’t used to opening those injuries, neither was Logan at all comfortable showing them to others. He’d gradually amended his usual M.O. of going off into a corner somewhere alone to lick his wounds in peace; eventually including the fun-loving but deeply loyal Cajun in his inner circle. It was a tight spot usually reserved only for the likes of Jubilee, Kitty, or Jean…

“Jean…” Wolverine breathed slowly, feeling very much unlike himself talking about this at all. “That’s what you mean, kid?”
Feeling a little too close to the fire, Remy quickly said, “F’get it, oui, ami? S’okay.”
Shaking his head, Logan pushed forward a bit. “Naw, it’s alright. I know you mean well, Cajun. It’s just…you know. Hard. I don’t do this shit a lot. But you’re a good man. Good friend. I didn’t thank ya proper…for givin’ me that Heads Up.”
“Don’ mention it, Logan…”
“Heh. Too bad nobody else in that damned place had the balls to do what you did.”
Remy shrugged, somewhat at a loss. Exactly how many people living in the mansion knew about Jean and Scott’s affair is still unclear. Some of those Logan had openly confronted insisted it was none of their business, while others would still have him believe they had no idea. It was unsettling indeed not to know who to trust anymore. Logan knew one thing, however; he could still smell a liar, and there was a list of people he’d have to contend with when he returned to Westchester.

If he returned to Westchester.

As if sensing Logan’s indecision, Remy clasped his arm momentarily for his attention. “At least wait ‘til Xavier get back, eh? Talk to the Prof. He’s good at dis sort of stuff.”

A trademark snort escaped Logan as they entered the neighborhood; a part of NYC where not many people walked the streets at that hour. “’Preciate the advice, Rem, but with all this mutant Registration bullshit goin’ on, I think Chuck has a lot more important things ta worry about than mutant melodrama. Besides, who knows how long he’s gonna be down in D.C.? And, as long as that pencil-necked dickhead is left in charge, ya better believe I ain’t steppin’ foot back in Westchester.”

Remy looked down at Logan, brows raised. “What if an emergency come up?”

Without hesitating, Logan lifted one broad shoulder and answered, “Then I’ll be there. Don’t get me wrong, Cajun, this shit hurts like hell, and pisses me off. But I realize the Bigger Picture. Ya’ll can count on me to do my job. You know where I’ll be…Just gimme a call an’ I’ll”“

“Yo, what up homes?”

Remy stopped abruptly slightly behind Logan, who only seemed to be smiling. Evidently he hadn’t been as surprised as he let on. “Ye been tailin’ us for 3 blocks, kid. Really sloppy-like, I might add. I think you wanna keep goin.”

The young thug sneered, whipping a butterfly knife from his back pocket. He seemed an especially brazen young fool, to take on 2 adult men, but evidently had assumed Remy’s slightly drunk swagger would give him an advantage. “Whatever, Pops. Hand everything over. All of it.”

Remy cocked his head, evaluating the thug. “You kiddin, right boy?”

“’Boy’?? Dude, ya see the blade? Now hand it over.” The young punk switched his gaze from one to the other alternately, trying to appear as menacing as possible.

Logan halted for half a second, and with a quick sniff determined they weren’t alone…again. He searched his memory for the oddly familiar scent, puzzled. It was so fresh but distant to his mind…As his heart rate increased and the hackles on his neck rose, he knew.

“Hey, I said hand it over, dammit”“ As the punk attempted to lunge at them, a shadow passed underneath the streetlamp above them, then the young punk was screaming like a little girl as he fought against the vice-like grip on his neck.

Shit!” Gambit jumped back instinctively as the figure had jumped down to land on the boy. As She rose with the thug in a compromised grip that threatened to rend his head from the shoulders, the 2 men got a look at their ‘savior’.

“You…” Logan barely breathed the word as he met her Blue gaze.

There was something different about her this time, and it wasn’t just the all-over black leather jumpsuit she was wearing. The cool blue irises of her eyes were slit like that of a feline. She gave the same grin she’d given him in the club as Miss Munroe deftly disarmed the young thug.

“Shit, Lady lemme go! Please, ah”ahh! Wait”“, he pleaded, struggling as she tightened her grip on his neck.

Her intent clear, Logan held out a hand to stay her. “Waitaminute, Lady. The kid’s scared shitless as it is. He’s learned his lesson.”

With a very cold look, She met Logan’s eye. For a split second she eased the vice-grip”before twisting the perp’s neck with a satisfying crunch.

Shocked, Remy and Logan watched as the kid’s limp body crumpled to the concrete sidewalk. Without so much as a word, the woman crouched low, then took flight, as a flash of distant lightning and the roll of thunder rattled off in the distance.

“Hey--! Stop!” Remy’s hand immediately dug into his jacket for a card to charge.

Logan looked up to the night sky, and blinked rapidly as she appeared to have completely vanished. There wasn’t even a trace of her scent left in the air.

Mon blieu..! What was she??” Remy turned to Logan.

“She’s a mutant.” The Wolverine answered simply. Although he secretly suspected this woman was much more than that…


A couple miles away
Her heart beating triple-time, Munroe rested atop one of the high apartment buildings, willing her pulse to slow.

‘Calm down, Ororo…breathe…’ She closed her eyes several times, breathing deeply. She’d been so close that time. She’d almost Taken that one. It was getting harder to control the urges to feed again. It had been so long since the last time, everyone she came into contact with was a potential mark.

That kid though, Darrell Jenkins”he deserved what he’d just gotten. She wasn’t sorry in the least for what she’d done. That man didn’t understand. He wasn’t from around these parts, he and his Platinum card-wielding buddy. She recognized who they were, just as Forge had. She respected the work they and their People did on a global basis, but what about the problems at home? While the likes of the X-men were out saving the universe, no one was watching the streets.

Finally, she was able to calm her thoughts and the feeling in her stomach. She’d gained so much ground in the past several months, she couldn’t give it up now.

Perched on the building ledge, Ororo drew a still-shaking hand up to her face. She wiped the cold sweat away from her brow, as her eyes reclaimed their normal appearance. She opened her mouth, grinning to feel the sharp canines on either side that protruded more than they should have. They throbbed with ill use, but then began to shrink back to a normal size. Good. ‘I can control it. I can control this…’

She gathered herself together, running a hand through her wild white hair. With a shutter, she recalled the way they’d looked at her, as she took the thug’s life. It shouldn’t have mattered, but there was also something in that Man’s eyes, the short one, that bore into her. How presumptuous to look at her as though he knew anything about her!

Ororo pushed all thoughts of the man and his young friend away as she rose once more and took flight into the early morning sky.

---

Several hours later, around noon…
Reclining in the wide sill of the window facing the street, Logan stared out at the busy world below, only slightly aware of what went on. With his knees drawn up slightly, he rested his muscular arms on the caps, one hand loosely grasping the neck of a beer bottle he’d hardly touched since popping it open a few hours ago.

His sharp grey eyes barely held a tinge of red from the previous night’s outing, staring fixedly at the lamppost down the street. He wasn’t really interested at all in it, but it reminded him of Her.

The first time Logan had laid eyes on Miss Munroe, he’d known then and there that something was slightly off about the woman. With no room for comparison, however, he couldn’t put his finger on it. When she’d shown up in Hell’s Kitchen, not five blocks from this apartment, and jumped the kid trying to jack them, all his reservations were gone. He’d seen that feral, hungry look before in someone’s eyes. With little humor, he conceded that she probably did the kid a favor snapping his neck, as opposed to the probable alternative. If he was right about her, then she needed to be stopped before anyone else”anyone innocent”was hurt.

‘Wonder why She let us alone?’ he thought suddenly, remembering the bottle and suddenly bringing it to his lips for a swig. Witnesses probably didn’t survive long after seeing something like that. Wasn’t she afraid of blowing her cover? ‘Who’d believe me anyway? Mutant, okay. Vampire?? Cops prob’ly won’t go fer that…’

Logan sighs, rubbing his eyes, which began to hurt, reminding him he still needed to blink on occasion . ‘I’ll just have to do some investigation on my own, then…’

Ohhh…God, have mercy…” The painful groan came from behind him, bringing a small smile to Logan’s lips as he tried not to laugh.

Behind him on one of the 2 couches in the tiny living room, Remy lay spread-eagle with at least one limb hanging on the floor. The plastic-lined waste basket parallel to his head was a thoughtful act of his drinking buddy, who wasn’t about to play ‘orderly’ if the Cajun’s gut acted up in the middle of the night.

Slowly rolling onto his side, then stomach”groaning”then back to his side, Gambit carefully opened his eyes, blinking several times as the room began to spin.

“I wouldn’t advise tryin’ t’get up right away, kid.” Logan didn’t turn from the window, adding, “I picked up some coffee a little while ago, tho’. I can getcha some o’that, if ya think you can handle it.”

A groan that sounded in the affirmative prompted Logan off the sill, resting the beer bottle where he’d previously been sitting. As he drew a mug from the cabinet, Remy groaned again at the unusually loud sound of porcelain clanging against glass.

While the pot brewed, Logan dug through the small grocery sack on the table, and cracked open a fresh bottle of aspirin. Meanwhile, Remy rolled off the couch, literally crawling to the bathroom. By the time he re-emerged, looking a little less green, Logan was perched on the arm of the couch with black coffee and 2 aspirin in hand.

Mercì.” LeBeau mumbled as he tossed back the pills and reached for the ‘I ♥ NY’ mug.

Logan let him take a couple sips before he asked, “How much about last night do you remember?”

After several moments of deep thought, it was apparent: Not Much. Swallowing hard, Remy laid back against the opposite arm of the couch.

"Uh…hm…sheesh…Gambit at a loss, mon ami. We went to de bar down de street…’nother across town…Remy think there was another one, but”“

“You don’t remember The Xile?” Logan interrupted, leaning close.

“De Xile…” Remy’s eyes narrowed in concentration.

“That mutants-only joint downtown..? The Hulk-size bouncers, the Suit outside with ‘em, the”“

“De Owner. Remy remember Her.”

“Yeah…” Logan was quiet for a minute. Remy grinned mischievously, misunderstanding his intent.

“You interested in seein’ de petit again, eh?” He managed a slight wolfish smile.

Logan snorted. “You obviously don’t remember everythin’. The kid that tried to mug us? ‘Member what she did to him??”

“Oh…yea.”

“If that’s how she treats men, I think I’ll pass on that. But I’m curious about her anyway.”

Remy watched him closely. “Why? Dis woman sound kinda dangerous, no?”

“Cajun, ev’ry woman is. But that’s not it. This one’s different. She owns a hot-spot in the heart of downtown New York that’s exclusively for mutants, but then spends her early mornin’s twistin’ the necks o’muggers? And did ya catch a glimpse of’er face”the eyes, I mean? They were weird-lookin’ for a human or mutant, and we both know that’s sayin’ a lot. There’s more to this one than you think.”

“And o’ course, you’re gonne find out what, eh?”

“Damn straight. I got some questions I know she’s got the answers to. That was a crime we witnessed last night, kid. No two ways about it. Miss Munroe won’t want her loyal patrons to find out what she’s really up to at night. Hell, any one of those suckers steps foot in the place could be next fer all I know.”

“What’re you gonne do?”

“I’m gonna go back to where this all started. The Xile.”



To Be Continued.
Chapter 03 by Echo
CHAPTER THREE


Westchester. Two days after Logan and Remy have left…
Knock. Knock.


Rogue looked up from the fashion magazine she really wasn’t reading, her evergreen eyes landing on the door. ‘Hmph. Ah knew she’d come sniffin’…’
“C’mon in.”

The knob twisted slowly, the door opening only a small crack, enough for Jean’s lithe form to slide through. She closed it behind her as quietly. For a few seconds the 2 women simply stared at each other in suffocating silence. Jean met Rogue’s almost openly-accusatory glare with calm politeness. Rogue wasn’t fooled; she realized the fiery red-head was there for one reason only, and would gladly patronize whomever she pleased to accomplish her goal.

When Rogue finally tired of their game of Stare-down, she calmly continued to read the magazine as if Jean had left.

“Rogue?”

Her eyes still scanning the page, the saucy Southerner answered, “Yeah?”

“Rogue, I’m not going to waste either of our times by patronizing you. I’ll just get straight to the point.”

“That’s pr’ferred…” Rogue kept turning pages.

Biting her tongue at the cool dismissal, Jean came closer to stand at the foot of Rogue’s bed, leaning against the high post to regard the other woman carefully. “We all know Gambit wouldn’t just disappear on you like this for days…without checking in with you…”

Suddenly very tired of the whole thing, Rogue snapped the pages shut and tossed the magazine toward the pile on her right. Gauging Jean with cold green eyes, she said simply, “F’get it.”

“Wait, now, Rogue, hear me out”“

“F’what? Besides, you claimed y’weren’t up here t’waste muh time. Ah think that’s a good idea. You wanna know where Remy and Logan are. I ain’t gonna tell ya that. Wow, all that an’ Ah didn’t even need telepathy.”

Jean’s patience wearing thin, she faced Rogue fully, gripping the foot board of the bed with both hands as she leaned in close. “Look, Rogue, I didn’t come up her for the 3rd degree. I thought maybe you would be inclined to help me, since we both know what it’s like to have to fight for the men we care about. With everything you and Remy have gone”“

“Oh, no. Dontchu’ dare try that card! Remy is not Wolverine, an’ Ah sureashell ain’t you, Sugah. Besides, maybe you’ve done enough to that man. Far as I can tell, Logan must not want to be found. ‘Meybe we’d bettah oblige him, huh?” She picked up a Cosmo and began flipping.

Jean’s face was the picture of calmness as her temper raged just beneath the surface. She was conflicted inwardly, unsure whether she should cut her loses and curse the auburn-haired woman or continue the charade to eventually hope to regain Rogue’s favor once more.

Following Jean’s silence, Rogue raised her eyes only, barely visible above the rim of pages, and added, “Go ‘head. Why don’cha jus’ poke around up here and get it over with?”

At that remark, Jean stood straight, allowing the slight hurt, frustration and anger she felt to show through (all the better to mask the truth that she’d already contemplated doing just that). With a stiff lip she turned on her heel, yanked the door open, and closed it soundly behind her. Once on the other side, she took a breath, smoothing her hair and shirt as if to wipe the anger away. ‘There’s no rush, I’ll get what I want soon enough.’


Later that night, around 10:00 pm…
Ororo leaned back in her leather chair, crossing her ankles on top of the mahogany desk before her. The club was only moments from opening, but instead of the expected feeling of anxiousness, she felt unusually calm. Almost languid. It was Sunday night, and she decided to take the night off, from patrolling the streets. Her prideful nature wasn’t going to allow her to believe the decision had anything to do with the events of two days past. She simply needed a break, was all.

“Well, we certainly look relaxed.”

She came out of her thoughts quickly as she turned to see Forge standing at the door. Smiling lightly she drew her arms from behind her head and attempted to look more businesslike. “Hey, well, you should be happy for me. Usually you complain I’m always on pins and needles.”

Catching the serious note in her words, Ororo’s GM came to stand opposite the desk, a look of concern mixed with pity in his dark eyes. “Hey, you know I’m just kidding. Seriously, I’m glad you’re doing well, then.”

She smiled, but broke the searing eye contact between them. Forge knew too many of her secrets for Ororo’s taste; sometimes she forgot that, and then was unnerved by his sporadic displays of affection. “Yeah, thank you.”

He smiled that type of smile that often made other people want to wring his neck; like he knew she knew he knew something privileged but wasn’t sure if he could keep his mouth shut about it. The wheels that turned in Forge’s head were a complete mystery to Ororo, so often she simply let them be. This was no exception.

“Anyway, don’t you have a club to open? It is after ten.” She glanced at the small, obviously feminine silver watch on her wrist.

Forge shrugged his shoulders, but eased back toward the door of the spacious office. “Whatever you say, ‘Boss’…”

Ororo leaned over the stacks of papers that littered the desk before her, once again immersing herself in work. As Forge slid through the door, closing it behind him, she heard, “…and don’t worry, I’ll keep an eye out for your Little Friend.”

Her head snapped up quickly, but not quick enough to respond to the comment. For several seconds she sat, pen in hand still poised over the paper that required her signature, just staring at the door. The mixture of curiosity and annoyance didn’t clear from her face for several moments. Licking the inside of her jaw purposefully, Ororo scoffed softly and twisted the pen in the air before mentally dismissing Forge’s tasteless sense of humor.

She could not, however, dismiss her thoughts of that “little friend” he spoke of. Since that night she first laid eyes on him, the X-man they called Wolverine had haunted Ororo’s thoughts. She knew him, in the way one knew a celebrity”from a distance. The increasingly public exploits of the unsanctioned team were difficult to ignore. By no means an expert or even casual observer, Ororo had, nonetheless, heard of Charles Xavier and his “gifted students”. Encountering one in the flesh, though…honestly, she wasn’t impressed. His superficial attributes aside, the Wolverine showed no obvious mutation that Ororo could see would inspire even the least bit of concern. In fact, she mused to herself, he seemed like any other professional drunk out bar-hopping on the weekend. And his friend..? the one who evidently didn’t know when to say ‘when’??...

Ororo shook her head, barely withholding the laughter at the memory of the younger man scurrying off to the men’s room. Of course, she recognized him as a Team Member, but at the moment couldn’t recall his ‘name’. “Goddess, if that’s the sort protecting mutant-kind, heaven help us…” she muttered, returning to her paperwork with a soft chuckle.

---

Several hours later, The Xile in full swing and nearly occupied to full capacity, Ororo took a much needed break, excepting her usual drink from Angela at the bar, pausing to chat with the young woman as was her habit.

“Ev’nin’, Boss…’ere ye go…”

Ororo smiled genuinely at the younger woman, though as usual with no teeth showing. Sipping from the polished glass, she turned to watch the dancing throng below, inwardly pleased with herself. “I never tire of seeing that…”

Angela grinned, leaning closer over the bar with her towel clutched in one hand. She eyed the sometimes melancholy, always enigmatic owner of The Xile, not even attempting to hide her “hero worship” as the other employees called it. She wasn’t the first one there inexplicably drawn to the successful businesswoman, and knew somehow definitely not the last…

“Canne ask ye a question?”

Ororo nodded her head, but for a moment Angela wasn’t certain if it was to her question, or to the pulsing beat of the music the DJ played, until she turned puzzled blue eyes her way.

“I’ve ne’er seen ye out on th’ Floor yeself…ye always ‘ncourge the rest o’ us te “go where th’ music takes ye”, but I’ve ne’er seen ye once out there…” her words trailed off at the guarded expression they invoked, and suddenly the younger woman seemed very uncomfortable under the intense stare of those cerulean-blue irises.

Ororo could sense the girl’s unease, and for a moment considered letting her stew some more, but honestly didn’t have it in her. Not with Angela. They were a lot like sisters, at least as much as possible considering the wealth of info about Ororo’s life that remained closed to her. After all, it had been Ororo who’d taken the former runaway off the streets of NYC and given her a job, a sense of stability…belonging. The close-knit ‘family’ of employees at the club took care of each other”and their ‘Boss’.

After a sustained length of silence, Ororo carefully placed the now empty martini glass on the counter between them, as if a symbol to remind Angela of their working relationship, and gave her a small smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes. “Well, I think that’s the sort of carefree behavior best left to my devoted employees, don’t you think?”

Angela, unsure how to respond to that, opened her mouth, and then closed it promptly. Ororo wasn’t waiting for a response anyway…

“Besides, someone has to steer the boat…”she grinned, this time with a twinkle in her eyes that relaxed the girl a bit.

“Aye, Boss…” Angela smiled a little sheepishly.

Ororo slid away from the counter, nodding to her once, and waved a signal indicating she was going back into the office. As she headed that way, she watched the people around her closely, admiring their skilled dancing, all the while secretly envying their carefree attitude.

Suddenly, she felt the uncomfortable throb in her gums, could taste the metallic tangy-sweet blood that erupted from the disrupted tissue. It only fed the Need more, and in an instant she could feel herself gravitating toward a young couple dancing near the door to her office, totally engrossed in each other, never suspecting they were in harm’s way.

‘Come on…just one more time…’ her clouded mind begged, ‘invite them in…no one will know…it’ll be over quickly.’ With the painful pulsating in her jaw, of that she was sure.

The young man looked up as she closed in, a smile immediately coming to his face as his girlfriend also realized they were in the audience of the popular club owner. “Hello, Ms. Munroe! We love your club!”

Her boyfriend nodded eagerly, agreeing, “You know, you’ve given a lot of people a place to just chill out… y’know, when shit’s goin’ on in their lives…Means a lot…”

‘Look at them. They want you. Just as much as you do Them. Go ahead; you know you need this…’ She shook her head at the voice, almost in a near panic as her eyes darted from the kids to her office and back again. She wasn’t even sure she could utter a single word of thanks without pulling them willing or otherwise into the depths of the sound-proof room. ‘Do it…’

“Ms. Munroe, are you alright?” The girl stepped forward quickly, as if she believed Ororo was near passing out (which wasn’t so far from the truth), reaching a steadying hand to the wavering woman.

Watching the smooth skin of the girl’s wrist, surely throbbing with warm sweet blood, Ororo suddenly became sick, swallowing hard and backing away as if she’d been scalded. “’Scuse me…”

The two youths watched, startled at her reaction, as she abruptly darted for the door to the office.

Slamming the heavy door soundly, Ororo willed her labored breaths down, resting her head against the cold surface. Eyes closed, she felt tears welling behind the lids, at how close she’d come this time. It wouldn’t have been like that street punk…they were her patrons, they trusted her, admired her, and she was about to serve them up like a buffet. “Goddess..! Make It stop..!!” She hissed, begging the unseen deity”not for the first time”to take the Need away.

For several moments she stayed there, her weight against the door, the only sound that of her deep breaths as the throbbing slowly began to subside and the canines retracted. As the sensation dissipated, and her awareness returned she suddenly realized she wasn’t alone. “Whoever you are, you picked the wrong night to fuck with me…”

With a light scoff, He stepped out of the shadows across the room to confront her openly. It was painfully obvious to her that he was not hiding. “Yeah? Why’s that, darlin’?”

Ororo’s eyes narrowed at the X-Man, as she struggled to regain & keep her composure in his presence. “I realize you people must need a ‘night out’ or whatever, but aren’t there establishments more to your tastes, say, Anywhere else?”

Logan noted her agitated appearance, could smell the fear rolling off of her. He was puzzled, however, sensing that the emotion was not because of him. “Not t’ let you get away with changin’ the subject, but ‘you people’?”

Growing even more uncomfortable, she sneered, “Yes. You know, you “super-hero” types. Is this your idea of ‘slumming it’?”

At that, the X-Man almost laughed out-right, taking a step toward her.

“Don’t come any closer.” She warned, raising a hand to the open space between them. “I don’t know why you’re here, and frankly, right now I don’t care. If you leave quietly, I won’t call security.”

Wolverine raised a thick brow to her, shifting his weight to one side and crossing his arms. “I’m not too worried about your “security”, Lady. If I could get in here without havin’ ta gut any of ‘em, I can sure as hell get back out.”

She balked at his frankness, and for the first time concern came over her face. Of course, Logan misunderstood it as fear of his intentions. “What do you want, then?”

“Answers.”

She lifted her own finely arched white brow at that, noting the somewhat relaxed stance he took. “You want to know about the club.”

He sniffed, as if the prospect was beneath him. “I don’t give a rat’s ass about your little mutant hideaway, here, darlin’. I’m talkin’ about that little stunt you pulled a couple nights ago. Downtown?”

For a moment she was puzzled, then the encounter came rushing back to her. She eyed Logan carefully, as if trying to figure out his angle, of which she was positive he had one. Evidently unafraid of sassing him, she countered, “Do you moonlight as a cop now?”

“Funny.”

“Because the last time I recall hearing something about your exclusive mutant ‘club’, I don’t remember hearing the term ‘government sanctioned’.”

Stepping only close enough to lean against the edge of her cluttered desk, Logan regarded the feisty woman with a level of intrigue. “You’re one to talk, twistin’ necks in alleys an’ shit. That sort of vigilantism is gonna get you arrested. Or worse.”

“Well, thanks for caring, but I’m fine from here.” She gestured to the door. “Now, if you will excuse me, I have a lot of work to do…”

When she made the mistake of turning her back to him, Ororo realized it immediately, even before the rush of air reached her back.

His heavy weight pushed against her before she had time to turn again, sending her against the wall. “I don’t think so, Lady. I know what yer game is, an’ I doubt my “unsanctioned” ass would get much flack for takin’ you out.”

Quickly realizing to struggle was near hopeless, Ororo suddenly ceased when he said that. “What?”

Close to her shoulder, Logan lifted his face, never relinquishing the pressure that kept her pinned to the wall. “I know what you are.”

He could feel her body tense suddenly at that statement, and knew his hunch had been on the mark. Just as suddenly, though, she composed herself. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Unhand me, dammit!”

“You don’t have ta admit it. That ain’t why I’m here. If I wasn’t sure, I wouldn’a come.”

“You don’t know anything!”

“Don’t I? I know you’re the proverbial fox in a henhouse. Or I suppose next you’ll claim it’s all just one big cosmic joke that put a vampire in a club full of stupid drunk kids?”

For a moment, Ororo opened her mouth to deny it all, but then she hesitated. There was a part of her that just wanted to let everyone know, to stop hiding from what she truly was. Maybe it was time to stop running. “Stop it. Please…”

He felt her relax, albeit rigidly, against his crushing weight, the sound of defeat clear in her voice. “Why? You put yourself in this situation. You had ta know I’d come back after what I saw.”

“You don’t understand…none of you understand…” she mumbled against the wall, feeling the need to release the pent up anxiety that was welled within.

Logan stopped for a moment, his own anger and adrenaline waived to allow him to see this woman for exactly what she was: Tortured. He watched her face from the difficult angle behind her, glimpsing the anguish behind the tough façade. His senses told him she wasn’t going anywhere, though he didn’t release the suffocating hold on her. Quietly, he said, “Then make me.”

Having not expected that from this man who charged into her domain--the one safe place she felt she was in control--Ororo couldn’t take it anymore. “I…I…”

Logan instinctively reached for her as her body let go, sliding to the floor with her as she broke down in tears. Unsure, he kept his body tense in case this was a ploy to get free, but cradled her against the wall as she cried.

“Goddess…I tried (choke) so hard..! You don’t know what…been through! How hard it is not to…to Feed…”

Curious, he asked quietly, “How long has it been?”

(sniff)…Over four years…”

Logan wasn’t sure what that sort of denial could do to someone like her, but he had a pretty good idea it couldn’t be good. “If it’s so hard to resist, then why put yerself in a place like this? That’s insane.”

“I have my reasons…” she began to compose herself once more, wiping at her tears as if angry with them. “Besides, what else am I to do? Stay in my casket?”

He stifled a laugh at that, unable to help himself from imaging the visual. “Sorry. I know it ain’t funny, but..”

“Goddess, I can’t believe I’m actually telling you this. I don’t even know who you are…well, of course I know who you are, but I don’t Know you…”

“Oh? A couple minutes ago, sounded like you knew everythin’ about me and my renegade friends…” He teased, easing up on her a little.

“Oh, that…” she gave a short laugh not meant to imply humor. “There’s more to it than that.”


“Don’t apologize. If that’s the way ya feel.”

“That’s a discussion for another time. Right now, I’d really just like to be able to breathe again, if you don’t mind…” she lightly elbowed him, then wiped her eyes again quickly.

Logan barely hesitated before standing, releasing her from his grip. For a minute he stood above her, watching as she vainly tried to clean up the mess of her reddened eyes and running nose. “You’re a mutant, too.”

“Yes,” she glanced up at him briefly, “so?”

“Well, look, I didn’t mean ta give ya a hard time about this place. I guess the whole idea kinda took me off guard. The people I’m with don’t go ‘round advertising their mutant status for nothin’, is all.”

“You think we should all just run and hide?”

“That ain’t what I said.”

“Well, okay then. That’s exactly why I opened Xile. Maybe I was hiding, in my own way, but at least this place lets others like Us feel like they didn’t have to do that anymore.” She lowered her head, eyes cast to the floor, when he stared at her.

“Look, I understand what you’re tryin’ ta do here. But in your…’condition’, if I kin call it that, I think you’re playin’ with fire.”

“Don’t you think I know that? I haven’t given up on finding some reliable treatment or even a cure for this. But right now, this is the hand I have been dealt.”

He paused, choosing his next words carefully. “You know, despite what happened Friday night, I think you mean well. I know some people, they might be able to help you…”

“If they carry garlic and crosses, no thanks, “ she said dryly.

“I’m serious. It’s at least worth a try. Before you can’t control these urges anymore, an’ someone else gets hurt.”

“I appreciate the offer, but I have to say, in my defense, what you saw Friday night, wasn’t what it appeared to be. Obviously, you must realize that young man wasn’t as innocent as most of my patrons here.”

“The kid was tryin’ to mug me. O’ course I realize that. But sometimes that ain’t enough to twist someone’s neck…” ‘Christ, did I just say that??’

“With all due respect, things are a bit different here than in Westchester.”

“Ohh..There we go. I was wonderin’ when the soapbox was gonna make an appearance.” Logan crossed his arms, eyeing her suspiciously. “You have absolutely NO friggin’ clue, Lady. I ain’t got the time ta sit here and defend the X-Men to ya, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that one. At least, for now.”

“Fine. Then what now, Mr….what is your name? I feel sort of odd calling you ‘Wolverine’, if you’ll pardon me.” She said this with the hint of a smile on her full lips.

He cocked his head to one side, sizing her up.” You can call me Logan, then.”

“Logan, “ she extended her hand immediately, forthright as if the past ten minutes hadn’t happened, and they were meeting for the first time in a coffee shop, “you may call me Ororo.”

He took her hand firmly, and the two shook, the unusualness of the situation lost to neither. ”Look, I’d better be goin’, Ms”uh, Ororo. But the offer for some help still stands. On one condition…”

“Oh? And that is..?”

“Leave the “super-hero” gig alone for a while?”

She gave him an admonishing look, but smiled slightly, replying, “I’ll consider it, if you’ll agree to come with me one night; see what it’s like on These streets.”

Logan slid through the door, turning to grin at her. “Deal.”

“I am not kidding.”

“I know.”

“Then how will I find you?”

“You won’t have to.”

After he was gone, Ororo stood in the middle of the room, hugging herself closely for a moment. It was arguably the weirdest encounter she’d had in a long time, but there was something about this Logan that definitely intrigued her. She had heard he was widely considered the most abrasive, headstrong and aggressive member of the team, so his almost gentle reaction to her plight this night was a complete shock. She had to concede maybe she really didn’t know as much as she thought about the mutants calling themselves X-Men.

---

Upstairs, in the Security Control Room…
Forge sat back stiffly in the leather chair at the console, one hand raised to his jaw in some concentration. His eyes ached, but not because he’d been staring at the spot on the screen where Logan had been standing in Ororo’s office. Having witnessed most of the encounter, he was disturbed for entirely different reasons.

Finally moving, he kept one eye on Ororo, who eventually returned to her paperwork as if nothing happened, and reached for the secure line beside him. After several rings, the line clicked over.

“Hello, General? Yes, it’s Forge. I have something I believe you will be most interested in…”


To Be Continued…
Chapter 04 by Echo
CHAPTER FOUR

Hell’s Kitchen, late Monday afternoon…
“You did what??”

Logan tossed the contents of the small grocery bag into the fridge, then carefully made room for the stack of six-packs waiting at his feet. Behind him, Remy stood with his hands on his hips like an admonishing mother. “I offered ta help the lady, that’s all. What’s wrong with you, Gumbo?”

“De last Remy heard, chere was bad news. Now, you offerin’ t’cure what ails her?”

“Watch it, Cajun.” Logan stood, bringing two cans with him as he came into the small living room. “You weren’t there. You didn’t see her. The woman’s definitely in some pain, seems like every wakin’ minute she ain’t suckin’ somebody dry. And she’s been like this for years, accordin’ ta her.”

“So…you b’lieve her, homme?” Gambit perched himself on the arm of the old couch, watching Logan carefully.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m ready to be takin’ on any charity cases, if that’s whatcha mean. But I was thinkin’ maybe Chuck or McCoy could have a look at her.” Logan popped one of the cans, bringing it to his lips as he said this.

Gambit shook his head. “Gambit don’ b’lieve dis…an’ how dis ‘appen t’her?”

“Don’t know.” Logan shrugged, as if it hadn’t occurred to him to ask. “Our conversation wasn’t a therapy session…at least, not a conventional one.”

Remy shrugged it off, leaning so that he slid over the arm of the couch and laid back. He watched Logan down the first then pop the second beer can, before he spoke next. “Logan.”

“Hmm?” Only the Wolverine’s eyes addressed him as he gulped the domestic.

“’Called Rogue earlier, b’fore you came back...uh, she say Someone’s been leanin’ pretty heavy on ‘er t’know where you run off to.”

The can froze in mid air, as Logan’s gaze pierced Remy for several seconds. He brought the can down into his lap, running a finger along the outer edge of the aluminum. “And?”

“The chere knows the deal. But she seem t’tink Jeannie gettin’ desperate t’know where you are…wants t’reconcile, no?”

Logan quickly finished the can, then leaned forward with his elbows resting on his knees. He fixed Gambit with his piercing grey eyes and serious expression. “I’m glad Rogue understands this ain’t none o’ her business. I don’t want her caught up in any o’ this shit. But she needs to watch Jean. If there’s one thing I learned about the lady, it’s that she rarely just gives up when she wants somethin’ bad enough.”

“She wouldn’t hurt Rogue…” Remy looked surprised at the implication.

“Maybe not the way you’re thinkin’, Bub. But Jean told me some shit even Chuck don’t know ‘bout the way she’s used her powers. Just let Rogue know, okay?”

Remy glanced away as if he were contemplating going back to Westchester right then. “Oui, ami…”


A couple hours later, across town at the Xile…
Ororo paced the hall outside Forge’s office, on one of the lower floors of the building near the Security Office. She’d been waiting for him for over two hours now, and still couldn’t reach him by his cell. Her mood was becoming increasingly agitated, as the minutes passed.

‘All I ask of him is to be on time…he knows I need him to be on time for this…’ she thought angrily, feeling the blood pumping faster as her pressure rose. She’d been feeling ill all morning, and the longer she went without the Shot, the worse she felt.

‘Goddess, is it not bad enough I have to be a slave to this condition, the ‘medication’…now must I also be one to his Schedule??’ She paused from pacing, wiping her brow, which had begun to perspire. The hall was beginning to tilt slightly, and so she decided getting worked up and moving about wasn’t the best thing to do. Leaning against the wall, she tilted her head back, breathing slowly and deliberately.

“Just calm down…it’ll be alright.” She soothed herself, trying desperately to ignore the feeling of nausea coming.

For the past year and a half, Ororo had been religiously following a medication regiment implemented by Forge that had drastically helped control the Feeding urges she had. The cocktail he invented mimicked the properties and consistency of blood plasma, in essence fooling the vampiric “virus” within her to believe it was receiving legitimate nourishment. So far it was met with some success, but it was crucial the monthly shot be administered on time, lest these undesirable side effects occur.

Forge was a master at creating almost anything she needed of him, so it had been a no-brainer to ask him to concoct something for this ‘problem’. The cocktail was powerful, it worked…and was highly addictive. Ororo knew all this, but most importantly it kept her from attacking innocent people on the street, people she knew; her friends. So she dealt with the mood swings and occasional withdrawal symptoms, which were few and far between as long as she got the shit on time. Unbidden, she thought of Wolverine…Logan, he called himself. Absently, she wondered if his ‘offer’ of help still stood.

“Sorry I’m late…” Forge’s deep voice came from behind her as he stepped off the elevator from the upper floors, effectively keeping her thoughts from further exploring the possibility (for the moment, anyway).

Ororo turned toward him, her hands firmly planted on her knees as she leaned over, unsure how close she was to vomiting. “Just give it to me.” The look he gave her made her stomach flip again. “You do have it, don’t you??”

“Ororo, honey, I’m sorry…” He began, but she turned from him suddenly, hurrying down the hall to the restroom at the end. Forge stayed rooted in place as she disappeared, and the apologetic look on his face melted to one of haughty satisfaction. He slid one hand in his slacks pocket, rolling the vial between his fingers as he waited for her return.

Inside the women’s restroom, Ororo stood shakily from her knees, breathing heavily and gulping several times. She paused, contemplating whether or not she was finished, then exited the stall, going to the basin to wash her hands and splash her face. She stared at her visage in the mirror, all sorts of curses going through her mind.

When she reemerged, she walked carefully, for the hall was still spinning, and came to stop several feet before him. “Forge…where is it.”

His sorrowful expression was back, as he spread his hands wide in apology. “I tried so damn hard, baby, I swear…my contact for some of the key ingredients screwed me. The bastard was supposed to have them delivered a few days ago, and when that didn’t go through, I had a rough time tracking the punk down.”

“I thought you ordered everything a few months in advance.” She brushed the sweat away from her brow, giving him a weary look.

“Yes, usually that is the case. But that’s with Henrí, the reliable guy from upstate. When he got pinched awhile back, I had to go with someone else. This new guy--I forget his name--he seemed reliable, but now this…” He came forward as she leaned against the wall, obviously ill. “I’ve been trying to track him down or get someone else to pull through for me ever since.”

“You couldn’t have called? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I thought focusing on getting the mix was more important.”

She could hardly argue that point, though she was still more than mildly upset. “And just what am I to do now?? You know how badly I need it.”

He was quiet for a moment, as if in contemplation. Finally, he reached over and gripped her shoulder and spared her one of his trademarked dazzling smiles. “I’ve never let you down before this, have I?”

“No.”

“Then don’t worry, honey. I’ll figure something out. I probably have something to take the edge off of the withdrawal; go lay down for awhile, and I’ll see what I can do.” His eyes followed her as she dragged herself away toward her office with its comfortable couch and wide waste basket. Confident she wouldn’t turn to see him, Forge couldn’t help the small smile that tugged at his lips. ‘Well, look’s like We won’t be going out on any late-night rendezvous tonight…’

After she disappeared, he turned and walked back down the hall toward the lift, whistling.


Meanwhile, in Westchester…
Scott walked into the spacious kitchen, tossing the keys to the Bentley on the counter in more than mild disgust. Bobby Drake looked up from his sandwich but then lowered his eyes again, trying desperately to contain a wicked grin. Beside him, Jean pursed her lips, on the verge of saying something, but didn’t want to call attention to an already embarrassing situation.

“Scott, how’d it go?” She looked to their official leader in Charles’ absence.

(scoffs) The cops aren’t sure they can find It.” He said simply, letting her fill in the blanks as to what he meant.

Bobby’s eyebrows raised as he studied his foot-long sub, then took a bite quietly, pretending not to be listening.

Not fooling Jean, she slid off of the stool at the counter and approached Scott, taking him by the arm into the next room. “Look, I’m sorry, this is all my fault. I really didn’t think he’d do something so juvenile…They really have no clues?”

“Well, it wouldn’t be an issue if the bastard hadn’t found a way to disable the tracking system. God, if I could get my hands around his thick-ass neck..!” Scott’s hands clenched impulsively, an uncharacteristic display of emotion for him.

Jean rubbed his back, pointedly ignoring the figure that came around the corner at that moment. “We’ll find it, Scott. I’m sure the police are doing all they can.”

Guessing the nature of their conversation (it was a very small mansion sometimes with how quickly gossip spread), Rogue kept a steady pace to the kitchen, where she saw Drake and the two exchanged knowing glances. Coming up beside him and reaching for the bowl of fruit in the center of the counter, she said quietly, “How’s the treasure hunt going, Bobby?”

That was all he needed, as chewed cheese and a mouthful of his club sandwich sprayed the counter before him. Coughing as he laughed, Bobby gave Rogue a slightly chastising glare as he visibly admonished her for making him waste the food. “Shit, Rogue…”

“You think that this is funny?” Jean suddenly re-appeared in the doorway, giving both of them a mother’s glare.

Rogue ignored the question, as she pulled out a short switchblade, one of Gambit’s, and proceeded to peel the orange.

“Geez, Jean, no, it’s just…” Bobby busied himself with cleaning up his mess, avoiding the fiery red-head’s gaze as he did so.

*Bobby, leave it. I’ll get that up later.* Jean came a couple more steps inside the room, as Scott came up behind her.

Giving Rogue a ‘head’s up’ look, Drake quickly escaped once the tough little Belle gave him a look obviously stating she could handle herself.

“You like making jokes behind people’s backs?” Jean’s caustic tone even made Scott do a double take, as he quickly surmised the two women had evidently gotten into it at some earlier date.

Rogue’s slight smile of dismissal only made Jean’s blood boil hotter, as she stood close, evidently waiting for a response. ‘Better’n sleepin’ b’hind people’s backs…’ “Oh, was that a real question, Sugah? Ah thought it was rhetorical or some shit.”

“Jean…” Scott grasped her arm as she made to take another step closer to the other woman.

“Go ‘head, Lover Boy, let’er.” Rogue’s rough southern accent was barely audible.

“We’re a team here, People,” he said to both of them, a statement that made Rogue scoff, “We don’t have time for this high school bullshit. I know what’s going on here, and I’m putting a stop to it since you two won’t.”

“Fine, Scotty,” Rogue tossed the peels of the orange at the pile of Drake’s food, “But I’m not the one who’s stirrin’ the pot on Old relationships…I’m just mindin’ muh business…’scuse me, ya’ll.”

Jean gave the woman a look to kill, as she followed her waltz out of the room. She turned to see Scott giving her a look as well.

As Rogue headed back upstairs, she griped the railing of the stairs briefly, feeling slightly light-headed for an instant, before she ‘heard’, *This isn’t over Rogue, “sugah”.*

Sighing, she kept going, shaking her head at the other woman’s threat, whether it was implied or explicit. ‘See, this is how Shit gets started…’


To Be Continued…
Chapter 05 by Echo
CHAPTER FIVE

‘I can do this…I can do this…’
Ororo crept along the mostly deserted alleyways of New York’s less aesthetically pleasing neighborhoods. Her steps weren’t always sure, but she kept close to the walls, just in case she needed some physical support.

It had been almost two days since Forge had admitted he didn’t have the medication to control her Feeding urges. She’d spent the first day completely holed away from everyone, suffering in silence at her modest apartment home only a few blocks away from the club. As the moon shone on another night of torture for her, the cravings became unbearable.

‘All I need is something small…yes, something small…hell, a rodent would do…’ her tortured body was pressing her mind toward action, as she searched the deserted alleyway like a derelict. There was a part of her that knew from the moment she stepped out of the sanctuary of her apartment what she intended, and that part of her was more than slightly ashamed. With a heavy heart, Ororo remembered the last time she stalked the streets, choosing instead the upscale neighborhoods of Manhattan and surrounding areas, where she was sure she could focus solely on the criminal element. Here, however, among the people she strived to protect on a nightly basis, her sense of guilt was a little less tolerable.

‘These people count on you for protection’, she reasoned with the small part of herself that was still in control, ‘You can’t Feed on Them! That’s wrong!’
Just as that humbling thought passed her mind, the sound of someone approaching pricked her delicate ears.

Crouching low, Ororo hid easily in the darkened alley, waiting to appraise the possible candidate. Her heartbeat quickened as the approaching footfalls became louder. Unable to stand the suspense, she slid along the wall in the shadows, angling her lithe body to get a first glimpse of the target…




“When I see what I want
I’m gonna take it.
If it’s against some law
You can bet I’ll break it.
My need to feed
Gives me the will to survive,
I gotta find it fast
To keep me alive…”




Her breath caught at the image of the street walker, evidently some drunken fool barely able to keep his or her posture straight with apparent inebriation. The short figure was draped in a hooded jacket for the chilly night, mumbling to himself (she assumed by the body posture it was male) as he hurried down the street.

Even though she could smell the odor of alcohol rolling off the man’s clothes, Ororo wasn’t concerned about the tainted taste it would give the blood. ‘Beggars and Choosers’, as the saying went. Following the man at a respectable distance, she evaluated his condition, stalking him like the prey he was…



“I can’t believe my
Hunger,
I want it so bad I can taste it,
It drives me mad to see it wasted
When I need it so bad that it’s burnin’ me…
I’m hungry..!

I’d do anything to get it and feel no regret
Time is running out and I ain’t found it yet…
And it’s burnin’
It’s burnin’
It’s burnin’ me…”





As she closed in on him, her mind swirled with the euphoric delight of a Feed after years of denial. The addictive nature of her condition carried Ororo’s steps as she floated on a light, silent wind toward the unsuspecting man.

Alone on the street, she still kept to the darkness as she assumed the man’s shadow. Only two steps behind him, she reached a shaky hand out to close around the back of his hooded neck.

“Gotcha.” A hand with the grip of a vice closed around her wrist, the pain shocking her out of the trance momentarily as she recognized the hooded figure.

“L-Logan??”

He held on to her wrist, never alleviating the pressure, as he watched her with clear eyes. His charade became painfully obvious to her, as he took in her dark attire and stealthy disposition. “What’re you doin’, darlin’?”

“I”I”“How was she going to explain this..?

Wolverine took one sniff of her, and drew his own conclusions. She smelled exactly as she had when he’d infiltrated her office at the Xile; or on that street corner with the mugger: hungry.

The predatory scent was overwhelming, and one that someone like Logan couldn’t help but identify with ease. “Ororo?”

She trembled before him, from both the Need and the guilt fighting within her to consume what little sense of control she had left. Her eyes asked him what her words could not. Help me.

With no more questions, Logan slid out of the heavy old hooded jacket, draping it about her shoulders. Something told him this woman wasn’t the type to ask for help easily, and that was definitely something he could relate to. He took her by the arm, and ushered her down the street.

---

Back at the Hell’s Kitchen apartment…
Logan didn’t bother turning on lights as they entered the quiet apartment, pulling Ororo’s trembling body after him. While she stood rooted in place, visibly ill, he locked the door behind them, and then gently slid the hood from her shoulders. “Hey, it’s alright…you can stay here for a minute, ‘til It passes. My buddy prob’ly won’t be back ‘til the mornin’.”

She shook her head, trying to stave off the inevitable nausea as it crept up her esophagus. “It won’t just pass. Not this time.”

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

“I…I’ve gone too long…without my medication…I NEED BLOOD.” She said it almost as a whisper, the agony plain in the expression she gave him.

Logan was going to ask another question, but realized the look she gave him begged not to.

Swallowing several times, she asked, “Where is your bathroom?”

Pointing, he watched her quickly disappear, closing the door quietly behind her. Logan stood in one place, watching the light beneath the door. His unparalleled auditory senses picked up the action going on within, and he suddenly turned from the hall facing the bathroom. ‘Shit, what the hell have I gotten myself into?’

It was awhile before she reappeared, minus the dark long-sleeved shirt she wore previously. She didn’t explain what happened to it, and he didn’t ask, as she crossed her bare arms over the white tank top beneath. Her eyes seemed to ask him ‘what now?’ and Logan motioned her over to the couch, where she curled up on her side, shaking. Dragging over the small waste basket he’d set up for Remy a few days ago, Logan then took a clean blanket and covered her with it.

“What else can I do?”

She shook her head, evidently unable to speak without fear of vomiting. As he reached an unsure hand down toward her shoulder, the low rumble of thunder nearby stopped him, as did the sudden chill in the air around them. As large drops of rain pattered against the panes, the small living room lit with an eerie light from the lightning outside. Logan could’ve sworn the sudden storm was right on top of them. He took an inadvertent step backwards when the hackles on the back of his neck rose. Ororo looked up at him. “I’m sorry.”

He looked down at her, as if suddenly realizing she was in the room, then knelt by the couch. He tried to keep the startled expression off his face when he saw how much of the rich brown coloring had left her face, leaving her with the appearance of death warmed over. “You’re doin’ that, outside?”

She nodded weakly reaching out to him and licking her lips several times in preparation of speech. “Hurts…so bad…Please, just…”

Logan’s eyes softened at the unfinished request, as he took her quaking fingers away from his wrist and held them firmly. The slight electric shock he received didn’t seem to bother him a bit. “Now, we ain’t goin’ down that road, ‘Ro. There’s got t’be another way o’ lookin’ at this.”

Moaning deeply, she rolled to the edge of the cushion and let her head fall toward the waste basket as whatever was left of her stomach contents came forth. Afterward, she resettled on the couch, tears down her cheeks as she sobbed weakly.

Logan brushed her hair out of her eyes, noting for the first time it seemed longer than the last time he’d seen her. Absently he guessed that sort of personal up-keep was the last thing on one’s mind going through the sort of hell she was in right then. His mind churning for ideas, he looked over his shoulder at the raging tempest outside, then back at the deteriorating form on his couch. He was sure, if he did nothing, she probably wouldn’t last the morning. Nodding to himself in decision, Logan rubbed her hand to get her to look at him. “Ororo…I think I can help…”

He definitely had her attention then, as she struggled to see his image without getting nauseated. “Wha…? How?”

“You know I’m a mutant just like you. Well, part o’ my mutation is a healin’ factor. Now, I ain’t positive this’ll work at all, but if you took some o’ my blood…” he paused when she began to shake her head vehemently.

“What?? I cannot do that, Logan… I won’t. Do you realize what you’re saying? I could…could ‘turn’ you into this..! Is that what you want??”

He took a deep breath, dismissing her concerns but only partially, to get his point across. “Listen fer a minute, b’fore ya say no. Now, this vampire-thing, it’s like a virus, right? I mean, it’s in yer system muckin’ things up.”

“Yes, that’s true…”

“Well, I don’t have to worry ‘bout that sort of thing. My healin’ factor should take care of it…uh, I think McCoy called ‘em ‘foreign bodies’?”

“McCoy?”

“Doctor friend of mine. You prob’ly recognize him as the big blue cuddly one.”

“Mm…”

“Any how, from what he’s told me over the years, my body can defeat near any
‘foreign agent’ introduced to it. Don’t see how this is any different.” He searched her watery blue eyes, recognizing a plea behind the fear.

“Logan…I…I don’t know what to say…I appreciate what you are offering, but…I just can’t be responsible if this doesn’t work. I can’t go down this road, not again. I’ve held this off for over four years…”

“Darlin’, pardon the observation, but it don’t look like you’re doing too good a’ job right about now.”

She continued to shake her head, suddenly racked with painful spasms, and huddled into a fetal position, closing her eyes to him and his offer of relief.

Taking the cue, Logan stood, lightly caressing her short tussled locks before retreating to the small kitchen table several feet away. He sat there, about to light a cigar (suddenly he really needed one) but thought better of it considering her agitated stomach. Sitting there in the dark, he listened to her ragged breathing; the soft moans as she fought control over her senses and her tortured body. He leaned over the edge of the table, looking at the opposite wall in the dark, trying instead to focus on the torrential storm outside. Vaguely, he considered how dangerous this power of hers was, and how much damage she was doing outside.

So deep in thought, Logan missed her as she stood on rubbery legs some thirty minutes later, and carefully crossed the short distance to him. Glancing up at her then, he met her gaze and recognized the conflict going on behind those cobalt irises.

Ororo didn’t speak initially, reaching out to grasp his t-shirt’s round collar. She paused, locking gazes with him for several seconds. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“You won’t. I’ll stop you before that happens.”

She nodded, not asking for an explanation of those terms, and knelt by his chair, so that her eye level was just below his.

The thunder and lightning crackled outside, growing even more intense if possible. Logan could sense the excitement rolling off of her, the prospect of releasing her pain so close. Detaching her trembling fingers from his shirt, he easily whipped it over his head, to allow her the easier access.

Ororo’s heart beat triple-time as she leaned closer to him, and sat there awestruck at the clarity of her senses; she could hear the thump of his pulse, see the vein she wanted. He was the picture of calmness, and it only made this encounter the more erotic for her.




“I know what you want,
I know what you need
Better than you do.
I know why you came,
I promise you.

I know where you go,
I know what you do
Better than you do.
When nothing remains
I come to you…

Sometimes she shines and I know
Beauty has her way.
With her hooks and her grace,
Beauty has her way.
Lights down, we drown, and I know
Beauty has her way…
This plain game
Beauty has her way.”




Logan sat as still as he could, trying not to break the sudden concentration she seemed focused on, and also attempting to quell the second thoughts threatening to creep into his mind. God, if he was wrong about this…

Aching canines finally thrust forward, and Ororo rested against his cheek, savoring the moment before impact, breathing deeply his scent, the sense of life in his form. “Oh, Goddess…” she moaned, rubbing her face against his neck, giving in to the arousal of feeling his blood pulsating.




“The trembling looks,
The concurrent touch
Everything to you.
And into your flame
I follow you.
Where all wishes twist,
And bitter they kiss
Everything to you.
And always in vain
I run to you,

Sometimes she shines and I know
Beauty has her way.
With her hooks in your face…
Beauty has her way…

I know what you want,
I know what you need
Better than you do.
I know why you came
I promise you…”




Logan’s hands gripped the table as he felt the sudden pinch, then more pain as the bite deepened and he could feel her canines drawing the blood from him. A small trickle escaped her suctioned grip on his neck, coursing down Logan’s collarbone. Ororo hesitated when she saw this, drawing back to watch the thin stream. Coming to her feet, she swung a leg across his lap, straddling him on the chair, and bent her head to run a warm tongue down to capture the escaping blood stain. Logan jumped slightly, his body reacting to both the physical pain as well as the unexpected pleasure of this new erotic gesture.

Ororo wrapped her arms around him, holding his neck steady with her hands carefully, enjoying the warm metallic taste as it flowed down her throat once more.
Unsure how to respond to this, Wolverine found himself embracing her slight, trembling form as she pressed against him. She was a refugee rescued from the desert and greeted with a feast, as she latched onto Logan like a woman starved. He could feel her caressing his neck, arms, the shadow of her fingers floating over his face as she made love to his veins that fed her.

After a few minutes of this, and it became apparent she had no intention of stopping herself, Logan gently but firmly detached himself from her, holding her wrists away from his body, and watched her face. Her euphoric expression was slow to fade as she finally came to the realization she was no longer feeding on him. For the first time since he’d met her, she gave him a grin showing sharp teeth, stained a dark red, and licked her full lips in obvious pleasure. For an instant her eyes clouded over a ruby color, then faded with the sounds of the storm outside. As Ororo slowly fought coming down from her high, Logan backed away from the table, attempting to stand but finding it oddly difficult to do so. His legs buckled beneath him, and he stumbled away from the kitchen, feeling ill.

“Jesus…” he choked on his own words as he felt the burning inside him, first around his face, then slowly traveling down his torso, scorching his chest. Gripping his heart, Wolverine staggered to one knee, falling close to the couch.

Behind him, Ororo turned and watched him. She felt a burning as well, but of a completely different nature, as she saw the man struggling…like fallen prey. Crawling over to him, she hovered above his stricken form for several moments, just watching, sort of reveling in the pain she’d inflicted on him. Reaching out, Ororo caressed his body as he groaned in agony, as if she were searching for another piece of ‘Grade A Choice’.

Sensing her out of sorts, Wolverine gathered his own. Hunched over, he held his burning innards with one hand as he raised his other just high enough she could see over his shoulder, and popped a claw.

Just as he expected, the gleaming metal startled her enough to re-evaluate her position. To get his point across, Logan turned and held the razor-sharp blade close to her, heaving in pain the whole time, and locked eyes with the dazed vampire.

For several moments the two uneasy companions stared one another down, then Ororo seemed to come out of whatever trance held her, and blinked several times, seeing the blade again, for the first time.

Convinced, Logan sheathed his internal weapon, turning and burying his face in the cushion of the couch, unsure whether he wanted to yell or cry. The heat and pain resulting from her bite was almost too much to bear, as he felt his body striving to rid itself of the poison. After a few more tense moments, it did. Violently.

Ororo cringed as his head suddenly came up off the couch and turned sharply, a thick, obsidian-colored liquid spewing from his mouth. It missed the waste basket completely, splashing the floor. After several more violent wretches (this time in the waste can), he rested his shoulder against the edge of the couch, breathing heavily.
Opening his eyes, he looked at the mess he’d made. “Ah…shit…”

While he sat there on the floor, she passed him, rummaging around the bathroom and returning with a damp old mop and several rags.

He watched her clean up the mess, as his illness faded with the passing minutes. Logan was amazed how ‘normal’ she appeared now; her eyes no longer blood-shot, the warm glow of her brown skin returned and the gale outside receding. She shook her cloud-colored locks away from her eyes as she came to sit in the corner of the couch behind him, drawing her legs up to her chin, appearing very much younger than she was. “Thank you…”

Logan roughly wiped his chin with the back of his hand, turning to gaze at her, inwardly amazed how different her disposition had become. The serenity behind those eyes was an unnerving thing, considering the road traveled. “How do you feel?”

She seemed to contemplate that question very seriously, her gaze falling away from his face for a few minutes until she was sure how to answer. “I feel…alive.”

Logan turned slightly, reading the guilt in her face at that admission, and gingerly covered her hand with his. Hours later, he still wasn’t sure whether it had been her hand or his that was trembling.




To Be Continued
Chapter 06 by Echo
CHAPTER SIX


Ororo blinked several times, her eyes adjusting to the dim light shining through the cheap blinds in the living room. For a tense moment she had no idea where she was, and was startled up into a sitting position. Memory quickly flooded back to her, after looking down to see the sleeping man below her on the floor. Relaxing back onto the couch, she curled up again, this time watching Logan as he slept, albeit fitfully. Even in the mode of dormancy, this man appeared tense and almost alert, if that were possible. She looked at his hands, folded beneath his wild head, as his fingers twitched every few seconds. She remembered with biting clarity the nine inch blade that had been pushed toward her, gleaming in the night like some cold terror. The fear she had thought would come next didn’t, instead replaced by curiosity. She wondered where that fit into his mutant healing factor…

“You awake up there?” Logan’s voice was muted and groggy below her, though he didn’t move.

She jumped a little, then sat up. “Yes. I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“You didn’t. I’m a light sleeper.”

She looked around the quiet apartment, then back down to him. “What time is it?”

Logan moved then, stretching a little before rolling to his feet to peek at the clock on the microwave. Confused, he glanced at the window. “Hmm…that can’t be right…”

He went from the table to the fridge, where a small calendar was adhered to the freezer door on top, and peered at it in the semi-darkness. “Jeez…”

“What?” she was up immediately, coming toward him.

“Shit…if you can believe it, we’ve been out for almost 20 hours.”

“What??” she looked at him as if she expected him to come clean with the Joke. When he didn’t, she ran a hand through her messy hair, embarrassed. “I’m so sorry, really. I didn’t mean to impose on you like this…”

He waved her concerns away, opening the fridge to free a beer. “You don’t have to apologize…want one?”

“No, thank you.” She scratched her arm because there was nothing else to do, looking at him with more than mild curiosity.

Logan shrugged, taking two more for later, and closed the fridge, coming back to the couch. When she didn’t move to join him, he looked up, popping the beer. “Well, ya gonna stand there, or come sit down?”

“Don’t you think I should be going?”

“Well, that’s entirely up to you, darlin’. From where I’m sittin’, though, the time for being awkward is long gone.” He almost laughed, gulping the beer.

She thought about that, deciding he was probably right. After what they’d gone through together, she did feel kind of odd just leaving it like that to return to her life, never to see him again. “Well, then can I ask you something?”

“Yeh, you can ask.”

She came to sit on the opposite side of the couch, drawing her legs up to her chin and evaluated him for several seconds as she mentally formulated what she intended to ask and how. She sensed she should probably choose her words carefully with Logan.
“Why did you do…what you did?”

“You mean let you suck my blood?” he seemed to get some thrill out of the embarrassed expression over her face in his mere voicing it.

“Yes.”

“Well, in the grand scheme o’ things, it didn’t seem like somethin’ that was gonna be that big a’ deal…”

“You say that as if”“

“Now it is? Well, I’m not sure ‘bout that…but I didn’t realize how…personal, I guess, it would be.”

“Don’t tell me you based your decision on public misperceptions? Or vampire movies?” she grinned teasingly at him.

“Maybe. Can’t say I ever knew a vampire I liked enough to let’em suck on me.”

She raised a brow at that. “You know other vampires?”

“Long time ago, ‘Ro. And not in the way you think.” His disposition became somewhat guarded as he said that, and Ororo didn’t delve deeper into that admission.

“…Why do you call me that?”

“What?”

“’Ro’?”

“Hm, sorry, didn’t realize. Didn’t mean t’offend ya.”

She reached over and laid a hand on his knee, smiling. “It’s no offense, Logan. I kind of like it, I guess. I’ve never had a nickname like that before.”

He nodded, taking that for what it was, and popped the second beer. As he drank, Logan could feel her eyes burning through the aluminum can as it blocked his view.

Ororo’s mind churned for some way to adequately express her gratitude to this man; he’d saved her from possibly doing something terrible, and at the same time given her a taste of what she knew ‘life’ to be like. A simple thank you seemed the height of inadequacy to her, even though she suspected Logan himself didn’t fully understand how much he’d done for her.

“So what’re you gonna do now?” His deep voice interrupted her thoughts, and Ororo looked up to meet his gaze.

She kept the eye contact to gauge his response to her answer. “Honestly, I’m not altogether sure. I haven’t tasted blood in so long…I feel like a different person. Who I used to be, shortly after”“

He kept looking at her even when she ducked her head, obviously unwilling to complete the sentence. For her own reasons, he surmised, this woman was uncomfortable talking about why she was the way she was. With a sad sort of humor, he realized how much she reminded him of himself, concerning the Weapon X program. Just as he imagined the other X-men were naturally curious about his origins, so he found himself about this mysterious woman. “That’s not such a bad thing, now is it?”

She shrugged one shoulder, contemplating this. “Not on the surface, I guess not. But I’m just afraid of what I’m going to do with myself now. After all, I can’t very well just snack on you whenever I get a craving.”

“Damned straight.” He chuckled, rubbing his sore neck as he took a swig of beer. As an after-thought, he asked, “By the way, what’d you do before? To keep this shit in check, I mean.”

Picking at the hem of her t-shirt, Ororo didn’t meet his gaze. “I…had help. From a friend…” She caught his eye and quickly amended, “Not the way you think. He’s a whiz at chemistry…botany, engineering--pretty much anything science-oriented. The medication he fixed for me was keeping the edge off.”

“So what happened?”

“Ran out.” She didn’t really consider that a lie, but for these purposes it would do as an answer. The less Logan knew about the illegal means she’d used to keep this virus under control, the better.

He drank from the can, taking his eyes off of her so she couldn’t see he thought that was bullshit. Logan was the first to admit a person’s private life was their own, so this little white lie of hers really didn’t bother him…much. “Well, the offer I made a few days ago still stands. I may not be headin’ that way for a while yet, but when I’m on my way back to Westchester, yer welcome to tag along.”

She thought about that invitation, the cool way in which he said it, and determined there was no hidden agenda. “You really believe your friends can help me?”

“They helped me.” His voice nearly caught in his throat as he realized what he’d said. The last thing Logan wanted right then was some deep conversation about his past and his problems.

Ororo’s eyes begged to probe deeper, and he could see that, but then she just smiled, and looked away. “Well, let me think about it. I have a lot of people depending on me here. To just disappear for goodness knows how long without adequate explanation to the staff, my patrons…I couldn’t do that to them…”

He sort of snorted, a little playfully, she guessed, and said, “I doubt they’d mind if they knew what for. B’sides, can’t your uptight manager take care of things?”

Her brow arched at the undertone that slipped in when he mentioned Forge. She had heard some rumors of what supposedly happened outside the club when Logan first showed up, but assumed it was simple gossip, the sort that would usually follow someone like him. That tone of voice convinced her otherwise. “Whatever first impressions Forge made on you, he’s a very competent man. I’d have no problems leaving the business in his care, indefinitely.” She wasn’t sure why she suddenly felt compelled to defend the man, considering it was his own negligence that had her in the position she was in.

“Didn’t mean t’ ruffle feathers there, darlin.” Logan smirked.

“Whatever. All I’m saying is that Forge has been there for me through a lot of hard times. I haven’t trusted anyone as much as I do him.”

“That wasn’t Forge you were tryin’ to latch onto last night.”

She paused, giving him a hard once over. Suddenly Ororo stood, making tracks for the door. “Mr. Logan, I think I should be going now”“

He was up and after her before she could even finish that sentence, grasping her wrist only firmly enough to halt her progression. “Hey, don’t get all pissed off…it was a joke.”

She gave him a piercing look.

“Okay, a bad one.”

She hesitated, watching his clear grey eyes carefully. She wasn’t sure what he hoped to get out of their association, and for the first time wondered if she’d been a fool to put so much trust in a man she barely knew. “No, that’s alright. Perhaps I should be going anyway. If I know my employees, they’ll have half the NYPD out looking for me.”

“What’s yer rush?” he still held on to her hand, his eyes holding her gaze steadily.

Ororo couldn’t explain why she suddenly wanted away from him, but she knew it had nothing to do with his comments about her and Forge. Searching his haunted eyes brought her back to that night, when their bodies had been as close as lovers, and she could feel his pulse beating beneath her as she held onto him like a life support. Ororo didn’t want to admit it, even to herself, that Logan had captured more of her fascination than just as a ‘midnight snack’. “I’m not in a hurry.” She whispered, almost defensively.

“Then come back over here.” He pulled her close so that their bodies almost touched again, looking up into her wide blue eyes with a twinkle in his own. Ororo surprised herself to realize her heart sped up momentarily as she waited for his next move. “B’sides, ya never told me…”

She could feel herself leaning into his bare chest, his intense gaze entrancing her.

“…what got you started watchin’ the streets.” He dropped her hand, turning to reseat himself on the couch, smiling devilishly behind her back.

Ororo blinked, once, twice, a third time, as her mind adjusted to the swift gear shift. She realized he was teasing her, and it only made her growing attraction to him stronger. ‘We want to play games, Logan? I can play games…’

She smiled, coming back over to the couch. “Well, that’s an interestingly long story…”

He patted the cushion beside him. “Hell, I got nowhere t’be.”

---

The next morning…
Remy stepped carefully around the considerable debris littering the streets of the neighborhood, wondering what in hell happened since he’d left only about forty-eight hours before. He thought he could leave Logan by himself for a couple nights just to check in with Rogue in Westchester and assure the rest of the team they hadn’t jumped ship. However, with how things looked--broken glass, crushed trash cans, bent lamp posts, some cars pushed out of their spaces into the streets…he thought maybe he’d been too optimistic in that assumption. “Mon dieu...!”

The door to the apartment building was loose on its hinges as he entered and climbed the several flights of stairs, part of him wondering if he truly wanted to keep going toward that apartment. By the time he reached the door, and took out the key to unlock it, he was convinced something was up.

Pushing the door open quietly, Remy peeked his auburn head through, and was slightly relieved to see Wolverine slumped over against the couch. Hell, the man probably slept through the whole storm. Smiling to himself, Gambit came in fully and turned to lock the door. When he came around again, his heart nearly stopped.

“Hello.” Ororo sat up on the couch from where she’d been curled up, wiping at her eyes and giving Gambit a sheepish grin.

The Cajun was speechless, probably for the first time in his life, as he stared openly at the sleep tussled woman. Her low, throaty greeting was enough to wake Logan, who stirred at her feet, becoming immediately aware of his surroundings. He glanced up at Remy’s curious and startled face, and then away, to see the almost playful look on Ororo’s. “Mornin’, Gumbo. You wanna close the fly-trap?”

Ororo chuckled, stretching for several seconds before she bounced to her feet, and came to stand before the surprised X-man, who hadn’t moved since seeing her. Offering a hand, she looked up at him with a twinkle in her eye. “I suppose an introduction is in order.”

Logan eased himself onto the couch, wincing at sore back muscles from where he’d been hunched over on the floor, and without looking at them said, “Yeah, Remy LeBeau, Ororo Munroe, vice versa, you two know the drill…”

Rolling her eyes at Logan, Ororo smiled properly at the young man, taking his hand. “It’s nice to meet you, Mr. LeBeau.”

“Oh, uh…’Remy’ is fine, chere…”

“Remy, then. Glad to see you’re feeling better than the last time I saw you.”

“Yeah…” he angled his head around to look Logan in the eyes pointedly, an action Ororo didn’t miss.

“Well, I guess I’d better get going…” she backed away from Remy and went around him toward the door.

“What’s yer hurry, darlin’? Y’haven’t even eaten yet.”

She paused with her hand on the knob, and turned to give Logan a bright, but still apologetic smile. “I’ll have to take a rain check on that one, Logan. I promise. Besides, if your refrigerator is any indication, I would probably end up doing most of the cooking!”

He tossed a pillow her way, growling deep in his throat. “Suit yerself.”

She chuckled, pulling the door closed behind her. “Don’t worry. I keep my promises.”

With the click of the door, the silence in the room was palpable. Remy stood staring at Logan, as if the older X-men member had gone completely berserk. From where Remy was standing, that wasn’t too far off the mark. Reaching for the cluster of empty beer cans that had slept with him, Logan ignored the other man, going to the kitchen to toss them. Of course Remy wasn’t one to let this sort of thing go.

“Y’know, ami, Remy sense o’ self-preservation tell him not to open dis Door, but we both know how hard de head can be…”

Surprisingly, Logan only snorted a short laugh at this, tossing the cans into the trash. “Cajun, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you. Which I ain’t. At least, not right now.”

Remy shook his head, smiling at his friend but still chastising him under his breath as he picked up his tote and headed for his bedroom.

---

Outside the apartment, about a half block away…
“Excuse me…” Ororo angled her shoulder to pass the woman who evidently didn’t feel the need to move to one side of the busy sidewalk. She gave her only a cursory glance, noting the conspicuous scarf and expensive leather boots that were sure to get her mugged any moment. Shrugging, she passed on by, automatically assuming the lady was probably either a misplaced tourist or a socialite looking to score something illegal.

Completely oblivious, Jean Grey nodded to herself, adjusting her scarf and sunglasses, happy with her fledgling attempt at tracking Remy to the Hell’s Kitchen apartment. Discovering the hideout, she wondered why she never thought about it before. It wasn’t like she didn’t know Logan and Matt had some place in one of the Burroughs they called a “sanctuary””they didn’t know she knew, but that was the risk one took when dating a telepath. Now that she knew for sure where it was located, maybe it was time she made a little surprise visit…



To Be Continued…
Chapter 07 by Echo
CHAPTER SEVEN


The Xile, about five hours before opening…
Sometimes this place was too small. Despite the multi-floored architecture, the expansive V.I.P. rooms, and the two levels devoted specifically to running the joint, sometimes there was the distinct feeling among Xile employees that none of that was enough space to stave off the rumor mill.

Wiping down the counters at the bar, Angela kept her head discreetly lowered, pretending not to listen to the conversation at the end of the bar. Right then, she imagined, her Boss probably would’ve felt the same about the club’s ‘walls with ears’.

Resting against the reflective surface of the bar counter, Forge looked out onto the empty dance floor, where a crew was finishing the daunting task of polishing it. The pensive expression on his face was normal, but the quick tapping of his fingers against an empty shot glass was not. More than anything, this tell-tale motion alerted the quiet Angela that the club’s manager was under some sort of stress. Usually the epitome of cool calmness, Forge had the subtle demeanor of a man under great anxiety. Anyone within a hundred yards could tell it had something to do with the club’s missing owner.

“Angela, another one over here, please.” She nearly dropped the daiquiri glasses she was absently drying out, realizing she’d zoned out into her own thoughts.

“Aye, Mr. Forge.”

He turned back to face the glistening dance floor, the expression there again. Leaning slightly to his right, his voice lowered just barely so that only the man beside him could hear. “I called the Detective this morning, Josef, but there’s some bullshit waiting period to file a missing person’s report. After that time, he’s assured me that they’ll have their best men on the case. Even so, I just don’t put that much stock in the NYPD.”

The other man nodded in understanding. “I gotcha boss. My cousin had his shit broken into one time, took the cops half the day just to get out there to his place and file a report. That’s why the Boys and I wanna go lookin’ for her ourselves…and if this little squirt what snuck in the other night had anythin’ ta do with it, lemme tell ya…”

Forge stayed silent on that, but nodded slowly. “I’d like nothing better than to let you guys go looking around the city for her, but unfortunately the Xile still needs Bouncers. Besides, something tells me maybe I’d have a better shot at locating her. Ororo’s done this sort of shit before on me. Not going on three days, but all the same…I’m going to take care of it myself.”

“You soundin’ like you don’t think it was the half-pint that broke into her office. I still think the cops should’a known about that, sir.”

Forge shook his head slowly, his piercing glare searching some unknown spot ahead of him. “You don’t understand, Josef. That man is more dangerous than even the NYPD can handle. You saw that little trick he pulled out of his fist. That was more than a mutation. Besides, I don’t want the flat-liners and their antiquated justice system fouling this up. I have some friends that can handle the likes of him, if he’s responsible for Ororo’s disappearance.”

Josef nodded in agreement, though he didn’t know specifically what Forge was referring to.

As for the club manager, he smiled inwardly as he realized this was turning out better than he’d expected. While he was content to let the Xile’s employees gossip about the ‘intruder’ that may or may not be responsible for Ororo’s disappearance, the truth of his own intentions he kept to himself. It didn’t matter particularly that she may be out sucking the life (literally) out of NYC citizens; it had fit perfectly into his ultimate goal of targeting the elusive X-men member that’d fallen across his lap. If everything went according to plan, Forge reasoned, he’d probably be back in the Agency before the end of the month. “Yeah, just let me handle this, Josef. We’ll put everything right.”

---

Across town, in Hell’s Kitchen…

For most of the day, Logan had been very quiet, sitting at the windowsill for hours, just staring out at seemingly nothing. Remy had let the man have his space, barely keeping quiet about the unexpected visitor he’d come back to the day before. There were dozens of questions the Cajun X-man burned to ask his friend, but dared not too, considering the circumstances. He could tell something had happened there, and the bruise that he’d seen neatly healed on Logan’s neck didn’t help hide matters.

Logan, of course, could all but smell the curiosity rolling off of Gambit, but was too caught up in his own thoughts to indulge the man at that point. He realized he’d gotten himself into a very strange set of circumstances with the night club owner, and now he found himself unable to think of much else. The encounter with her still burned fresh in his mind, and Logan hazarded a guess that he wouldn’t soon forget it. Not for its unusualness, but because deep, deep down, he knew he’d enjoyed it. The truth of the matter was, in fact, that he wasn’t sure if that bothered him or not. True enough, he realized there was a certain attraction to playing with the sort of ‘fire’ she represented, but he couldn’t place the unknown factor that had kept him up unable to think of anything else past her warm, trembling body pressed close to his, the feather-touch of her breath as she nuzzled his neck, and the way she’d caressed his body even as she laid razor-sharp teeth into his flesh.

Shaking his head as if to clear those thoughts, Logan chastised himself, pointedly remembering that she was still dangerous, that he barely knew her, and that somewhere in his heart, he thought he was still in love with Jean. Blinking rapidly, he realized he hadn’t spared his former love a thought in almost three days. The pain and frustration of her betrayal was still quite fresh, and he wasn’t surprised he’d pushed most of that hurt to a back burner, but even so…the seductive porcelain face surrounded by crimson locks had been replaced in his dreams; now haunted by feathery white curls, and devilish blue eyes. If he tried hard enough, Logan was certain he could still pick up a whiff of her scent in the apartment.

‘Fuck, get a’hold of yerself…’ he grimaced, as the part of him that centered on self-preservation took control. After the disaster of his last relationship, the last thing Logan was looking for was another reminder at how unlucky in love he was.

“Logan?”

He looked up, as near to startled as Wolverine could get, considering, seeing Remy standing near the door with his jacket in hand. “Where’re you off to, Gumbo?”

With a grim smile, Remy watched his brooding friend. “Sorry, ami, but Gambit got plans d’night. Rogue supposed to be drivin’ up to meet in de city.”

“Yeah? Tell the Belle ‘hey’ fer me.” Wolverine’s casual disposition didn’t have Remy fooled for a moment, but he knew sitting there holding his hand all night wasn’t what the Wolverine needed, nor wanted. Perhaps the best thing he could do for Logan was to leave him be. After years of communal living in the Mansion, a few quiet nights alone was anyone’s best friend.

“Gotcha. See ya later, Logan.”

“I won’t wait up.” The older man grinned, turning back to the window once more.

When the apartment was quiet again, and he was alone with his thoughts, Logan contemplated the one thing he seemed unable to stop thinking about.

Ororo Munroe was nothing like any other woman he’d met, of that he was sure. Her ‘condition’ had nothing to do with it, though. It was her smile that made his heart beat faster, and that nameless spark behind her baby blues that churned something in his gut that hadn’t been there for a long time…even when he and Jeanie had been in the best of times.

But was it really an attraction he felt for this woman, or was it simply a rebound from the pain?


Tired of his own thoughts, Logan roughly pushed himself up off the sill, and retrieved a few beers from the fridge, noting with some disdain he had nearly gone through seven cases in a little less than a week. When he came to rest back at the window, the sun was slowly beginning to set, the sky ablaze with a scorching blue, pink and orange. The usually busy streets had calmed considerably, which was highly unusual for this neighborhood anytime before 2 a.m. Wolverine was glad, however. He knew he had a lot of soul searching to do, and not a lot of time to do so.

‘Specially if She actually takes you up on that offer…’ he shook his head at himself; if Ororo came back to Westchester with him, he knew being in those close quarters with her was going to be no good for either of them. After all, it wasn’t every day he stayed up to all hours of the night just talking with a woman. That wasn’t Logan’s M.O. at all, and there was a very small part of him that was horrified that he’d even done that. He resolved to swear Ororo to secrecy the next time he saw her.

Chuckling at himself and his idiosyncrasies, Wolverine turned tired and somewhat sad eyes toward the streets of Hell’s Kitchen, to watch the sun set before he would turn in early (for the first time in recent memory). What greeted those eyes almost made him spit beer. He actually rubbed his eyes with his hands, thinking this was either the cruelest joke his mind could possibly play, or maybe he was already asleep and didn’t know it.

Pressing his body against the window pane, he watched Her as she took purposeful strides up the sidewalk, directly toward the apartment building. A lump of something unnamed lodged in Logan’s throat, as he found himself immobile and emotionally in turmoil…


These eyes, cry every night for you
These arms, long to hold you, again
The hurtin’s on me yea
But I will never be free, oh my baby no no
You gave a promise to me, yea
And you broke it, you broke it, oh oh…



“Jeanie?” The tortured whisper couldn’t have met her ears, yet she looked up immediately to meet his hard gaze, her dark green eyes searching his; for what, he could not know. For several moments they stood thus: Jean on the sidewalk steps leading up to the building, her hair loose and blown slightly in the early evening wind, a calm expression on her classically beautiful features; Logan, his slightly trembling hands palms out against the window, his breath a little ragged and shallow, his eyes unable to hide the gamut of emotions playing there, from excitement, to caution, from healed to hurt.

The cool glass suddenly felt like dry ice, and Logan backed away from the window as if under attack. He shook his head slowly, as if attempting to convince himself he hadn’t just seen what he’d seen. For several seconds he hesitated there, knowing he wouldn’t be right with himself unless he could step back up to that window, and see there was nothing there but an empty street. For some reason, however, he couldn’t seem to convince his feet to understand that.

Logan turned, nearly tripping over the couch which he had inadvertently backed up to, and went to the door. He wasn’t at all sure what he was going to do there, but his choices seemed clear: ‘You gonna invite her in, or keep ‘er out??’ His fingers closed around the dead-bolt and hesitated for what seemed like forever. Resting his forehead on the wood, he stood there for a moment, admitting to himself that he wasn’t ready for this at all. How dare she come to him like this? Disobeying his wishes? Invading his privacy, his sanctuary? And what had taken her so damned long?

Letting go of thoughts like that, Logan controlled his breathing, clearing his thoughts entirely. He automatically went into battle mode, all the mental and some physical defenses rising instinctively. He wasn’t about to make assumptions about why she’d chosen to show up, and he knew that was the only way to maintain both his pride and his sanity.

The thick lock suddenly turned counter-clockwise, and the old wooden door swung open dramatically. Logan was about to step through to go downstairs and meet her, when he looked up into those green eyes on the other side of his threshold.


…These eyes, watched you bring my world to an end
This heart, could not accept and pretend

The hurtin’s on me yea
But I will never be free, no no no
You took the vow with me yea
You spoke it, you spoke it
Babe

These eyes, are cryin’
These eyes have seen a lot of love,
But they’re never gonna see another one like I had with you…



“Logan?” That voice sounded so foreign to him now, even though it’d only been a week since he’d heard it. Jean watched him, as if for some signal, and he tried his damnedest not to let anything show through.

“Jean”, he nodded, sounding as neutral and void as possible. No nicknames, no pet-names, no calling names. He tried to remember that, no matter what, she should always just be ‘Jean’ to him.

Her eyes narrowed barely at the formality in his behavior, and immediately recognized it as the defenses she knew he’d erect upon seeing her. Jean slowly released the tight crossing of her arms, displaying her own lack of defenses to hopefully get it through to his subconscious that she meant no harm. When he didn’t move from blocking the doorway, she said “I’m not armed, you know. You can let me in.”

He gave her a look that clearly questioned that statement, but backed out of the frame anyway, following her movements as she passed through. Logan wasn’t convinced this wasn’t a mistake, and hesitated from closing the door. When he looked up to note her stare, he finally closed the door, only locking the bottom lock. Putting distance between them, he went to the fridge and retrieved one of the last bottles of beer he had, easily popping the cap, unconcerned as it clinked to the floor.

Jean Grey watched this man that she had shared so much with in the past, evaluating his movements and gestures as she’d been taught (very well) to do. The sad irony was not lost upon her that they stood here, using mental training techniques from the Xavier Institute against one another; she in an attempt to read his emotional state, and he in every effort to prevent that.

Logan gulped the beer so fast it burned on the way down, constricting his throat muscles, but it was all he could do to keep his cool. He watched her sit primly on the edge of the couch’s arm, smoothing her silk skirt over her knees and crossing her sandaled feet before looking up to him again.

“You’re looking well…”

He almost laughed at that flimsy attempt to open conversation, but knew that would probably get them nowhere. “Yeah, back ‘atcha Re”Jean. So, what brings you out this way? No emergencies, I hope. Remy didn’t mention anythin’”“

“Logan, you know very well I’m not here because of something like that. Come on, how about we stop playing the games.”

He let the bottle down away from his lips momentarily, studying her. “You know I ain’t never been one for those sorts of games. So, yeah, why don’t you tell me first off, how you found me? I heard you were snoopin’ around Rogue fer a while.”

“She didn’t tell me anything.”

“Oh, I know. Gambit’s girl has more sense than that. I’m surprised you didn’t just ‘pick’ the info outta her head. Wouldn’t be the first time.” He couldn’t help it.

Jean sighed at the slight barb, folding her hands in her lap. “Does it really matter, Logan? I’m here. You let me in. Obviously you want to hear what I’ve to say.”

“That being..?”

“I want you back.”

---

Not far away…
Ororo walked the streets alone, thinking. She’d been out walking for several hours, and looked up suddenly as if she had no idea why she was outside. She smiled to herself, realizing she was not too far away from Logan’s apartment. Belatedly, she wondered if her subconscious mind hadn’t guided her steps there. She knew she wanted to see him again, but was so unsure if he felt the same. After a day of deep soul-searching, Ororo wasn’t afraid to admit to herself that she was definitely attracted to Logan, and the fledgling friendship they had developed was a large part of that attraction.

She had briefly returned to her apartment, only to find two of her employees, Josef and Lucas, parked outside in one of the company cars. She’d barely ducked out of sight in time, and then spent the next thirty minutes wondering why she’d hid. After they’d left, she snuck inside only to be faced with dozens of messages on her home phone voice-mail, and even more on the cell she hadn’t taken with her. Forge’s number showed up more than any, and she felt a pang of guilt at disappearing without telling someone. It was that same guilt that eventually made her pick up her cell and dial Angela’s number, only to realize it was so late, the girl was probably already at the club for her shift. She left the message anyway; a short one, just to let them know she was alright, and that they shouldn’t worry, nor expect to see her anytime soon. She called Forge’s home number next, knowing he was working and not wanting him to change her mind. Her message for him was a little less informal, the sense of disappointment and anger at his part in her ‘relapse’ still coloring her tone. But she knew he would do his job and keep the Xile open and running properly until she returned. “Think of this as an indefinite vacation”, she’d said shortly before ending the call.

Now, she was walking aimlessly around NYC”well, not entirely aimlessly. She knew she was just working up the nerve to go to Logan’s. It wasn’t her attraction to him that kept her away, but rather the fact she was going to be asking for his help. For obvious reasons, she was still uncomfortable appearing (in her opinion) weak before him. ‘If it hadn’t been for his help, you’d be pretty bad off, you know…’


Nodding in affirmation to her resolve, Ororo sped her step, stopping briefly at a corner store. Afterward, she lifted the case of Budweiser to her side and turned the corner, proceeding down the streets with her peace offering.

---

Back at the apartment…
“You…what?” His voice was a mixture of disbelief, skepticism and surprise.

She stood, taking several steps closer to him. “Well, I mean, we all want you back. Nothing’s been the same…nothing’s been right since all this nonsense happened…”

He didn’t immediately stop her when she reached out and caressed his face, smiling gently and leaning into him. But he took special offense to the end of her statement, stepping out of her grasp. “’This nonsense’? Which part of our break up was the nonsense: when you cheated on me, or when you cheated on me??”

Jean tried not to let his slightly raised voice bother her. “Logan, I’m trying to put the past behind me. I thought maybe you came here to do the same thing. The rest of the team feels the same way I do. Shouldn’t personal problems stay personal?”

“What the hell does that mean?”

“Well, taking Scott’s Viper certainly wasn’t keeping things private. The whole house knows about that. What do you think Charles would say if he knew?” She actually looked down her nose at him while saying that.

Logan gaped at her as if she’d suddenly morphed into Magneto in a dress. ‘This shit is too unreal.’ “What would”? I don’t give a flyin’ fuck what Chuck would say! You wanna talk about keepin’ shit personal?? Our relationship was supposed to be ‘personal’, but we both know how you kept it that way. Who else have you ‘let in’?”

“Oh, for God sake, I knew this was going to be a mistake…” she turned quickly, but he grabbed her elbow, swinging her back around to face him.

“Don’t you dare..! You got some friggin’ nerve, lady, waltzin’ up in here talkin’ this bullshit to me. What’s the real reason you’re here, hm? Everyone knows what kinda lyin’ two-timin’ cunt you are and ain’t got no resp”“

The crack of her palm across his face echoed in the empty apartment. Logan didn’t even flinch, fully expecting it. Jean’s breathing was the only sound afterwards, as she stared wide-eyed at his insolence.

Logan’s head remained in the downward position after her strike, his eyes staring hard and defiant at the floor. He could’ve moved that bottle cap he stared so hard at it. The instinct in him to lash back was as real as though she was a stranger, but he forced it back down as his low voice broke the silence. “So, the little wolverine is supposed to come crawlin’ back to Xavier’s, like nothin’ happened, an’ you and Scooter are completely exonerated? (scoffs) If there’s tension in that house, lady, it’s cuz you put it there. I ain’t got nothin’ ta do with that. I sure as hell don’t plan on helpin’ you fix it.”

Jean could see she was losing this battle of wills, no matter what she said or did to him. It was obvious he was still hurting from her betrayal, but she assumed, like everything else in Logan’s life, he’d get over it. Maybe she’d under-estimated his pride. Deciding on a different tactic, she stepped in front of him, and lifted his chin so they faced each other. He stared at her in typical Wolverine defiance, but the hurt in his eyes was clear and unchecked. “Logan, I’m so sorry. You must know I never intended for you to get hurt. I loved you…I still do.”

He barely resisted when she pulled his face close to hers, brushing her lips against his, testing his resolve. Logan’s emotions warred within him, one side disgusted and defiant, the other craving her touch in the vain hopes of reclaiming what he thought they had, and maybe just a piece of his pride.

She moaned in his embrace when his hands came up to encircle her, deepening the kiss. It was a test, to see if she still had what it took to make things up to him. Logan told himself he had no intentions of letting it go any further, trying to keep in mind that she was loving Scott with those same lips she teased him with now, but it became apparent such restraint was futile.

Roughly, he pushed her against the kitchen wall, and she grasped his shirt, pulling him close with a whimper for more. When his greedy hands pushed her blouse open, running over the soft curves he’d memorized over years of exploration, she didn’t stop him; in fact, she only tugged at the waist of his jeans to grind their hips together, whispering things to him she knew he wanted to hear.


Turn down the lights;
Turn down the bed.
Turn down these voices
Inside my head.

Lay down with me;
Tell me no lies.
Just hold me close;
Don’t patronize.

Don’t patronize me.



As the encounter intensified, Logan’s mind spun, from one moment chiding himself to the next condoning the act; if Scott didn’t know what type of woman he was sharing his bed with, that was his problem.

Jean griped his hand as he slid it up the length of her bare leg, not to stop him but guide him. He lifted her leg up to a stationary position above his hip, cradling her ass with his palm as he ground his denim-enclosed erection against her.


…I can’t make you love me
If you don’t.
You can’t make your heart feel
Something it won’t.
Here in the dark
In these final hours,
I will lay down my heart
And I’ll feel the power;
But you won’t
No, you won’t.
‘Cuz I can’t make you love me
If you don’t.


---

Just outside, on the street below…
Ororo stopped outside the building, looking up to the fourth floor where she knew Logan’s apartment was. He had a place facing the street, and she could see the darkened window where the blind had been drawn up. She hesitated, thinking maybe he’d already gone to bed, but shook that thought away; he was the perpetual night-owl, and she knew she was just trying to come up with some excuse not to go see him.

Looking around for spectators and seeing none, she picked up the case of beer and generated a light breeze beneath her feet, floating up to the window.


---

Inside…
Logan felt her fingers trail down his chest, rubbing him beneath his shirt, then fall down to the button fly of his jeans, popping them with a quickness that surprised him. “Jean…”

She didn’t seem to be listening, as she kissed his neck, his cheek, his lips, pressing her breasts against him. Apparently she didn’t notice his sudden lack of response when his hands stopped fondling her. “Wolverine…I want you to fuck me.”

His dick jumped in his pants, a silent cheer, but he shook his head even as she continued molesting him. “Wait…Jean, we”“

A sudden crash outside stopped all movement, as they turned instinctively toward the window. Logan disentangled himself from her grasp, pulling his shirt down over his partially opened fly, and hurried to the window. By the time he got there, however, all he saw was a ruined case of beer on the sidewalk below, the broken glass of the bottles glittering in the lamppost light.

Jean came up behind him, and after assessing that there was no danger, continued her assault on his most sensitive areas. By that time, though, Logan had had enough.

“Jean, stop.” He didn’t even look at her, focusing on the mess below on the street (later that night, he would wish he’d been able to find the ‘drunk’ that’d spilled the beer…to thank him). His face turned away from her, he knew it was the only way he was going to put a stop to this before he did something he’d regret later on.

“Wha--? Why? Isn’t this what you want?” she rubbed his back seductively, whispering in his ear.

“Doesn’t matter if it’s what I want…” he turned then, giving her a small, sad smile, “…it ain’t mine to have anymore, now is it?”

She stood there for several seconds, unsure whether she’d heard him correctly. This wasn’t the same man she’d spent three years with, in a whirlwind affair that had left them both breathless from lust and frustration. Even if she was now officially hooked up with Scott, she knew better than to believe Logan cared about that at all. On any other day, he’d have considered this a triumph, stealing back what had been taken from him. That was the Wolverine she knew, not this man. Backing away from him, she closed her blouse, adjusting the buttons back into place, and smoothing her skirt. With bitter eyes, she watched his back until he turned his head slightly, catching her gaze out of the corner of his eye. “If that’s the way you want to play this, Logan, fine. I guess I was wrong about how you felt about me.”

He didn’t argue with that sentiment as she hurried to the door, and without another word left. Turning back to the window, he watched her step over the mess of booze slowly soaking into the sidewalk’s cracks, and soon disappeared down the street. Letting his forehead rest against the windowpane, he stared hard at his own reflection, honestly unsure how to feel about his decision.


I’ll close my eyes,
Then I won’t see
The love you don’t feel
When you’re holding me.

Morning will come,
And I’ll do what’s right;
Just give me till then
To give up this fight.

And I Will give up this fight.




To Be Continued.
Chapter 08 by Echo
By the Midnight Sun
CHAPTER EIGHT


Sometime during the middle of the night…
The quiet apartment echoed with a stillness to rival death. With the expensive blinds drawn, the moon’s reflected light was shut out with the rest of the world. It would have been the last thing she wanted to see anyway.

Oh, wait, she’d already seen that

Ororo closed her eyes tightly at the image behind them, in some sad, vain attempt to forget. It was her own fault, her mind chastised her, for not calling first.

‘Oh, so they could finish up before I came over?’ Sighing, she ground the down-filled pillow into her temple, the memory making her face tingle with embarrassment. It wasn’t like she assumed he was single (who would do that, these days..?), but maybe she did assume he was alone. ‘You know what assuming does, right?’

Sighing, she sat up suddenly in her bed, as if indecisive of some action. Her mind, of course, wandered back to the scene burned there indelibly; the way the woman held onto Logan as if he were and would always be hers; his hands gripping parts of the woman’s body like she were his lifeline…like Ororo had once held him.

Shaking that thought away, she stood, stepping over to the bedroom’s door, and going down the short stairs into the spacious living room of the modest brownstone. She had checked the door probably a dozen times since sneaking back into her own apartment some hours before, along with the street outside to make sure none of her employees (and especially Forge) had decided to make an uninvited stop. She still wasn’t ready to see any of them, and had to be truthful to herself that perhaps she was using this as an excuse not to face the very real possibility that the club may have some serious repercussions if she should leave. No one dared argue the fact that the mysterious owner was a major draw to most of the patrons; sort of like a local celebrity they could have almost unlimited access to. Ororo also realized that a sudden disappearance on her part could not only hurt business, but raise suspicion among the staff. She knew she definitely didn’t need anyone else finding out about her, considering how simple it had apparently been for Logan (of course, her own careless behavior hadn’t helped…). ‘I cannot just stay here…’

The thought of continuing her existence with the need to draw blood aching just beneath the surface was so sickening to her, she stopped in the middle of the living room, consumed by the over-powering silence around her. Ororo had lived almost two decades with this disease, and now enough was enough. Stealing pharmaceuticals and relying on the honor of drug traffickers and petty thieves wasn’t her idea of survival. Her midnight jaunts into the realm of vigilantism were the only semi-positive thing to come from it all, other than the club. And now, if she took Logan up on his offer, she wouldn’t even have that.

Warring with her difficult decision, Ororo curled up on the soft cushion of one of the couches, staring into the darkness for some answer. She went back and forth, mentally making a pros and cons list. When she found herself at a draw, she decided to give it a rest. Of course, what should her mind return to? What else?

The sight of Logan with another woman bothered her; she’d admit it. Without even realizing it, she’d laid some claim on him, both physically and emotionally. The time they had spent together was undeniably part of it. It was the first time in years Ororo had reacted like that while Feeding, and even then she hadn’t turned right around to have deep emotional and philosophical conversations with the very person she’d fed on. That night, Logan had seemed so attuned to her. He listened better than anyone she knew, devoting his entire person to what she’d had to say as if they were the only two people in New York. Needless to say, he’d made an impression upon her.

They had talked for hours, beginning with a little about her unorthodox nightlife, but mostly about the plight of mutants. However, toward the end of their conversation it had turned very personal. She had been curious as to why he was away from the rest of the team. He seemed evasive, initially, and she thankfully had taken the point that maybe it was a little too personal for someone he’d just met (even if they had shared more than strangers at that point). Of course, the question of how she came to be a Vampire arose. Ororo remembered how her heart had raced with just the mentioning of that dreaded day. Evidently, Logan had sensed her angst, because he immediately reassured her that she didn’t have to talk about it if she didn’t want to. After so many years of hiding it, though, Ororo felt some sense of relief to finally verbally exorcise that emotional demon…


---

‘I was about twelve years old when It happened. I found out some years later that They call it “Turning”. At any rate, this was almost eight years after my parents’ accident. By this time I had made my way north out of Egypt, floating around the streets of London with dozens of other forgotten children, just surviving.

‘They behaved much like a family, these Young Ones, so when a shy little white-haired girl came amongst them, they accepted me unquestioningly. It was the first taste of a family I had had since my dear Mother and Father. There were older children, sort of like our Big Brothers or Sisters, less like parents, who taught us everything we needed to know to live on our own. One of them, calling himself ‘Ronin’, was our little group’s unofficial leader. He was born to do it, and I suppose in another set of circumstances he may have made a wonderful, legitimate profession out of it.

‘He was a few years older than I, and because I was so different, even among these discarded children of the world, he took me under his wing. Our relationship was just platonic, you understand…but not for lack of my own feelings. I was, admittedly, quite taken with the young man. We all were, to some degree or other. It was the first time I ever conceived to do anything so bold in my entire life…but I wanted to be His, in every way a 12-year-old woman-child could imagine. Even after all that has happened, I still credit Ronin with bringing me out of my proverbial shell, though he would never take me up on my adolescent offers of eternal love.

‘I was with the Children for about three years before I began to notice anything strange. At first, it was nothing; a child disappeared here and there, but that was the nature of our existence. Parents would come finally, or the law I guess, and send us all scurrying into the shadows like so many wounded rodents. Within the discourse of our existence, it never occurred to us that being “yanked” as we called it, could be good for us. The majority of these children were never seen again. There were a few that made it back to the group, but they never seemed quite the same to me. I always wondered why it seemed They all looked the worse for wear once they returned to Us. One day, I discovered why.

‘A girl called ‘Mouse’”she was my ‘Big Sis’”and I were on our way back from scouring for food for the group, and it was late. We usually did our illegal activity under the cover of darkness, when most of the honest-working people were asleep, and so we had made out like the bandits we were. I was floating on such an adrenaline rush, I didn’t even realize we were being followed until it was too late.

‘Mouse must have noticed Him first, because she dropped the bundles of bread and cheap wine in her hands, and I saw her unsheathe the make-shift blade we were all made to carry…

‘You’ll have to forgive me…my memory here may be unsure. Of course things happened so quickly, I’m sure my mind has had to improvise in certain spots it cannot accurately recall.

‘…I can feel the eyes watching us from the shadows. At first, I thought it was a rival group of street kids, perhaps to steal our ill-gotten goods, but that couldn’t be it. Not the way Mouse was acting. With a name as ill-suited as calling Ben Grimm ‘tiny’, she was the toughest of us all. But that night, as we held our backs to each other, waiting for battle, I saw her hands shaking. I knew then that it wasn’t simple street urchins that frightened the fight out our little warrior princess.

‘”Run, lit’l White Raven”, she said to me, her voice a shaky whisper against my back. I didn’t know how to respond to that. Mouse and I had always been a team, a duo. We promised each other never to leave the other, no matter what, and here she was now, pushing me to run away?

‘I turned to refuse, and that’s when I saw him. It was Ronin! I remember my heart leapt in my chest: We were saved!

‘…the next moments of my life I shall have to say I will remember forever. There is no blurred memory here, because every breath was caught in painstaking clarity as it occurred, and forever will remain so:
‘I broke away from Mouse, my arms outstretched to meet Ronin…my Ronin…when a shadow passed over us. I looked up into his pale face, and never did I feel such relief…until I met his gaze. There was a cool distance there, to be sure, but also something much more sinister. He smiled down at me, a sad, sort of pitying smile; as if he had read my fate in the headlines, but knew I was illiterate. “My little White Raven…”

‘As the shadow came to his side, Mouse ran up to me, pushing me out of the way, as the Man materialized right before our eyes, and raised his clawed hand, ripping the flesh from her face. My mouth opened to yell as if I’d been struck myself, though no sound came forth, as I watched Mouse’s slim little body fall to the cold concrete. I’ll never forget her eyes, still opened, as the life drained out with her blood into the cracked concrete.

‘“R-Ronin..??” I must have found my voice again, turning accusing, confused eyes to my beloved. But he didn’t respond. Ronin stepped back, the mask of cool superiority firmly in place, as a group of crimson-eyed children emerged from the shadows, the tall man stepped from behind him, over Mouse’s twitching body as if she weren’t there, and reached down, dragging me up by my neck.

‘”This is the one you told me so much of? She hardly seems worth the trouble, my son. Or the gift.” That voice. If I heard it today, out of hundreds of others, I could still identify it without question. It was the sound of the Creator yelling a war-cry, and the Destroyer whispering in love. It would be the essence of all my dreams and nightmares for years to come. It would be the last voice I heard, as a whole human…

‘As I looked at this man in horror, he met my gaze, laughing at me. I remember the sharp teeth when he opened his mouth, his head falling back. I remember the look Ronin gave me at that moment, as the man drew me to him, a small, frightened child too afraid to fight or move. I was five years old again, when my beloved parents had died under the rubble of our home and I was too frightened to do anything but watch as life slipped away from them.

‘He didn’t waste much time, crushing my trembling little body to his with one hand, while the other held my head to the side. When his razor-sharp teeth settled into the soft flesh of my neck, I felt like my entire body was lit aflame from the inside out, as his poison ran its course within me. It was only then I was able to scream, and with it came a crisp bolt of pure electricity striking the ground where we stood, marking the beginning of my life as a member of the mutant community forever. He held on to me though, as if the pain only gave him some increased sense of power”which I’m not sure it didn’t”and through the sudden tempest I had created, this man took what had been left of my childhood, and sucked it dry, leaving me with only a Mark, and a mutation.

‘I can still see his bloody face as he tossed me to the ground at his feet, laughing, daring me to stand. They all looked at me, grinning with those sharp, pointed teeth, as if they knew my fate but would never tell. All I could see then was The blood. My blood, as it fell across my shirt, and coursed down his ashen face. It was the last thing I saw before I’d lost consciousness…’



“You still belong to Me, White Raven”



With a start, Ororo nearly jumped clear off of the couch, her eyes wide as she searched around the room. The fine hairs on the back of her neck were standing on end, as she sought to determine whether or not she was still asleep.

Only after checking every single room in the brownstone (twice) was she able to curl up in the corner of the couch, facing the entrances, of course, and trying to calm herself down. It had been years since she’d dreamed of that night, and she wished to keep it that way. The trauma never really re-exposed until her talk with Logan, she regretted telling him only now, as she knew it would be impossible to close her eyes without seeing that face.

Shaking uncontrollably, Ororo hugged her knees close to her chest, and rested her cheek there, allowing the tears to roll, because there was nothing else she could do…

---

Early the next morning, about 6:30 a.m….
‘Ro woke to the sound of a tentative but steady knock on her front door, which startled her up from her awkward leaning position on the couch. She looked around the still-darkened living room, then hesitantly got up, coming to stand at the door where she could look through the peep hole. Sighing heavily, she unlatched the locks above the knob, and opened the door.

Angela looked up with a mixture of relief and surprise, evidently unsure whether or not anyone would answer. “Ororo..?!”

Despite being slightly groggy, ‘Ro immediately accepted the young girl’s constricting hug as she threw herself at Ororo, near to tears. “Angela…it’s…early.” She said, unsure of the exact time, but nonetheless sure it was before eight a.m.

“I’m…I’m sorry, ‘Roro, really…” she wiped her eyes as ‘Ro ushered her past the threshold and secured the door closed again.

Ororo took her to the couch, sitting her down, and sat beside her, almost uncomfortable with the guilty feeling in realizing how upset the young woman was. “No, I think I’m the one that should apologize. I haven’t been a very good influence on you lately, have I? I didn’t mean to upset you…” she caressed the girl’s head as she leaned against her shoulder, moving the gold locks away from red-rimmed eyes.

“It’s just…all th’ rumours an’ such goin’ round th’ place…Some o’ us thought ye were really hurt…” her thick Scots-Aussie accent was even more muddled as she spoke through the tears.

“I should have at least contacted You earlier…I’m sorry. I know what a rumor mill that place can be sometimes.” She handed Angela a Kleenex, and frowned with concern as the girl wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

“I’ve been comin’ back ‘ere fer days…just knockin’…I didn’ne think ye’d be here t’day, I was gonne call the cops an’ let ‘em ‘ave it.” She laughed slightly at the end of that sentence, for the first time realizing how absurd that would have been. She turned shining grey eyes to Ororo, as if in need of reassurance. “But I got ye message…What’s ‘appened t’ye all this time?”

Realizing that question was inevitable, Ororo still wasn’t sure what or how much of it to divulge to Angela. The young mutant was as close to a sibling as ‘Ro had managed to have here in the States, and especially since Mouse, but she nevertheless hesitated from spilling it all. Could Angela be in danger if she told? (Was she in danger now??) Or would she understand, ‘Ro having kept this secret the entire length of their friendship? With so few people in her life she could depend on for any type of support, Ororo wasn’t so ready to jeopardize that.

“Angela…I…” ‘Ro hesitated, her mind searching for something that was a little less than a lie, but definitely not the whole truth.

“’Roro, please, ye’ got ‘te tell me what’s wrong.” She pleaded, needing to know her mentor and friend was alright.

“…I’m…not well.”

“Wha--?” Angela’s head snapped up, her gaze clouded with pain and puzzlement.

“Look, you can’t tell anyone what I’m about to say…not even Forge. If this gets out, it could be disastrous for the club, your jobs, and all the people who come to Xile.” ‘Well, when you put it like that…’

“I promise, ‘Roro, I swear.”

“Well, I’ve been…under private care, for the past few days. I’d been feeling under the weather for a few weeks, and decided to go in to see someone. They ran some tests…I’m not sure exactly what’s wrong with me. They tried to explain it, that it’s something that has to do with my immune system, or some glands or something…you know how doctors talk above your head sometimes.”

Angela’s eyes never left ‘Ro’s, as the realization that her friend was seriously ill dawned on her. “Oh, Ororo…”

Pushing the sharp feeling of culpability deep down, ‘Ro continued with her spontaneous lie. “I sort of had to disappear for a few days there. It’s not easy when you find out you have a serious disease. I just couldn’t face you all like that. I had to take some time off, I guess.”

“…What’re ye gonne do now?” Angela’s soft voice was barely a whisper as she leaned against ‘Ro both in support and in need of it.

“Well, it’s interesting you should ask. You remember that man that came to the club a week or so ago? The X-Man?”

Angela’s features physically twisted as she attempted to recall, then suddenly remembered. “Aye! The two wasted blokes at th’ bar. Is it true the short one broke in’te ye office one night??”

For a moment, Ororo was stunned, unsure what to say. She knew she hadn’t told anyone about Logan’s then-unwelcome visit. Perhaps he’d been seen leaving her office (the fool had left via the front door, after all). Why hadn’t Forge come to her afterwards, then, if there had been a suspected security breach? Oh, yeah, that’s right: ‘You were too busy yelling at him for not having the Shot ready.’

“No, no Angela, it wasn’t like that at all. I, um…had an appointment with him. We were trying to keep it under everyone’s radar, but evidently I wasn’t careful enough.”

“I don’ understand, ‘Roro. What’s he got ‘te do wit’ all this?”

“You know how hard it is for Us to get adequate medical care sometimes. I know my health insurance company may not cover anything they can claim as being related to my mutation, and this may qualify. Well, Logan”that’s his name”Logan knows some people upstate that would be willing to help me, at a minimal to no cost. They do this sort of thing for Mutants all the time, I guess. There’s only one catch…”

“Yeh?”

“I may be gone for a while, to their private clinic, during the treatment. I just don’t know what to do about the Xile. I can’t close it. You know that as well as anyone. But I hate to leave such a burden on the staff like this.”

Angela took Ororo’s hand in hers, the tears dried now, as she tried bravely to be strong for ‘Ro’s sake. “Don’che worry none ‘bout Xile. Forge can ‘andle things on the management end. We all know how important the place is. Ye can count on us to keep things a-goin’.”

Ororo nearly broke down then, watching the stoic resolve in the young woman, and regretting the lie she felt she had to tell for the benefit of all, but especially herself. “Angel,” she sighed the little nickname she rarely called Angela, giving her a dear smile, “I’d like it very much, if you’d accept a promotion, just until I return. We both know Forge is a capable man, but since She’s been open, the club’s had a woman at the helm. I know you can do me proud.”

“Boss…I’ll do me best..!” Angela’s excitement was barely contained as she hugged Ororo tightly, then apologized, unsure whether she’d hurt the “sick” woman.

“That’s okay, Angel. Just remember: the rest of the staff can’t know. I’ll talk to Forge before I leave. But I don’t want all the pity everyone else is sure to give me. You understand.”

The girl nodded readily, willing to accept her challenge head on. “I just wan’ che to get better, ‘Roro. Please. If this Logan and the X-Men can help ye, then I’ll do whatever it takes t’see t’that. Ye’ve got me word.”

Ororo smiled somewhat sadly, though her words were sincere. “I knew I could count on you.”

---

After Angela had left…
Ororo stood before the mirror in her bedroom, just looking at her reflection. She didn’t feel too badly about having lied bold-faced to Angela, and some part of her was disturbed by that. She tried to convince herself that it was all for the best and the safety of everyone involved, but even that, she knew didn’t ring quite true.

Now, she realized what a corner she’d backed herself into. With the lie to Angela, she really did have to go somewhere, or at least disappear for a while. Her thoughts went to Logan, who’d been so casual in offering the services of the X-Men, despite what his team may think about helping a vampire. Ororo laid a delicate hand to her chest, right above her heart as it fluttered, and tried to convince herself that it was only at the prospect of finding a cure for the disease.

Shaking her thoughts clear, she turned with some determination to the opened
cases on her bed, and continued to pack.


To Be Continued…
Chapter 09 by Echo
By the Midnight Sun
CHAPTER NINE


Hell’s Kitchen…
It’d been over four days and Logan had not seen hide-nor-hair of ‘Ro; frankly, he was getting a little suspicious, and even though he’d never admit it at this point, maybe even worried. Though she’d been in jovial enough spirits when she’d left his apartment in Hell’s Kitchen, he could have no idea what lasting effects their Midnight Encounter (as the two had coined it) would have on her. The longer he went without word from her, the more he began to re-evaluate his decision, hoping that giving her a taste of what she’d craved for so long hadn’t been a big mistake.

“Why don’chew just find de petit, eh?”

Logan blinked, so deep in his thoughts he hadn’t noticed Remy standing near the front door. Settled in his usual spot at the window, the older man returned his gaze back to the encroaching evening. “Didn’t know you read minds, Gumbo.”

Remy only grimaced at that, the reference involuntarily bringing his thoughts to a certain red-head who’d found it conducive to masking her appearance in his mind, enough that he didn’t even realize he’d been followed back to the apartment several days prior. Remy was still sort of hot about that, and apologized to Logan even though the other man had insisted there wasn’t much he could’ve done about it. He hadn’t told Rogue about it yet, and upon discovering the rift between the two women since his and Logan’s absence, he thought it better to keep it that way. “You know where she at…or, at least you got a good idea.”

Logan only shook his head, not really wishing to reveal his own thoughts on ‘Ro’s whereabouts to Remy, yet unable to stop thinking of the possibilities. After several more moments of silence, Gambit shrugged, and bent briefly to pick up the tote he’d brought with him. Hefting it over his shoulder, he leaned back to unlock the door, still looking at Logan. “Well, ami, if you change your mind, d’ black Harley’s waitin’ for you downstairs…as for Gambit, he gon’ head back to de Mansion…”

Wolverine ignored the open-ended part of that statement that would’ve required acknowledging that he wanted Gambit to stay longer. “You brought the Harley? I’m surprised Scooter didn’t take it out back and trash it.”

Remy grinned, “Don’chew t’ink he know better ‘den that, ami?”

Logan only shrugged one shoulder, but inwardly he was glad Remy had been thoughtful enough to bring him back a ride. He suspected the young man realized he was serious about bringing home ‘company’…if he could find that company. “I guess he does, then. Thanks fer the ride, Gumbo.”

“You gon’ go to her?” Remy couldn’t help but be curious.

Logan shrugged again, although he knew his mind was already made up. “We’ll see. Safe trip back, alright? I’ll be ‘long in a couple days.” There was hardly any point to staying; especially now that Jean had discovered the place. The last thing he needed was another meeting like the first time she’d shown up. Despite his feelings, Logan honestly wasn’t sure if he could say no twice…

Remy nodded, and without another word quietly closed the door behind him. Once Wolverine was alone, he promptly tore himself away from the window, going to retrieve his jacket, and the keys Gambit had left on the kitchen table.

---

A couple hours later, inside the Xile…
Forge’s fingers gripped the cordless receiver of the telephone, nearly crushing it to his ear as he attempted to calm his feelings. The tell-tale jaw muscle ticked relentlessly as his teeth ground against each other. Stiffly, he whispered, “You don’t have to do this.”

On the other end, Ororo’s lips parted just enough to allow a shallow sigh, connoting her assumption that he wouldn’t take the news of her departure well. Without really meaning it, she asked, “And what would you have me do? It’s painfully obvious that I can’t go on like this forever. Don’t you want me to get well?”

His eyes narrowed, lips drawn into a tight line at that comment. He knew ‘Ro couldn’t possibly be aware of his plans, or the little stunt he’d pulled with the medication, but all the same he felt his defenses rise. “I said I was sorry about the Medicine. How many times do I have to apologize??”

She debated whether or not to ignore the defensive remark, as she stared at the neatly packed bags at her feet. She and Forge had been through so much, she did feel she owed it to him to let him know she wouldn’t be using his expertise anymore. She just didn’t realize he’d take it so personally. “Look, Forge, I don’t want to turn this into an argument. I thought you’d be pleased, now that you don’t have to put yourself out to get that medication together anymore.”

’Put yourself’”‘? Is that what you’ve been thinking I thought about you? Ororo, baby, you know it wasn’t like that. You know I care about you; we’re friends…”

“I know.”

“…We were a lot more, too….”

Her eyes closed, fighting back memories of their tumultuous attempt at a romance. The relationship had stayed on life support for about four years, every once in a while breathing on its own and giving them the false hope of a recovery. Once it was painfully obvious no such revival was in sight, it’d been ‘Ro to finally pull the plug and make her peace. She’d thought it was a mutual decision in the end, but when he made comments like this…

“Forge…I have to do this. For myself, as much as for The Xile and all of you, and I could never forget how you’ve been by my side all these years. I shutter to think how my life would’ve turned out if we hadn’t met. It’s that same appreciation that made me pick up the phone tonight.” She didn’t want to have to resort to rank with him, so Ororo tried the friendship-angle. She knew this call would be the most difficult of all, and that’s precisely why she’d left it for last.

He gave a terse sigh in what she could only assume was extreme reservation. “Where are you going?”

She hesitated, not only because she didn’t really feel comfortable telling him, but also because she still wasn’t sure herself. “Don’t worry Forge, as soon as I get settled, I’ll call.”

“You know it’s dangerous to just run off like this without anyone knowing where you’ll be.”

She smiled at the almost paternal tone he took with her, even though she suspected he knew she wasn’t about to give him more information than that. “I can take care of myself.”

“I know. That’s what I’m afraid of.”

She paused at that, her resolve softening ever so slightly despite the historic difficultly marked time after time in their relationship. “…I’ll call. I promise. Angela agreed to help out. Just take care of things for me, please?”

“You know I will.”

There was an awkward silence for several seconds, as each was unsure what to say next. Finally, Ororo whispered quickly, “Goodbye, Daniel.”

He couldn’t find his voice until she’d already removed the phone from her ear. “Ororo--?”

His last-minute plea was met only with the silence of the dead line, then the dial tone. She was gone. Forge stood there in his office, surrounded by security technology”most of which he’d built himself. The part of his wounded heart that hated her callously reminded him that this was all he could depend on; machines, science, man-made articles…that which could be controlled. That inability to do so with her was what Forge abhorred and loved about her the most.

Finally hanging up the phone, he wiped his face as if to clear his thoughts and his heart of her, quickly switching gears and heading to the door on his way back upstairs.

---

Angela looked up from the bar where she was wiping down the polished surface, her alert eyes glued to Forge’s stiff (even for him) posture as he emerged from the elevator. His steps slowed ever so slightly as he passed the locked door leading to Ororo’s office, then he seemed to snap out of whatever trance had momentarily captured him, and the grim countenance returned with a vengeance.

As he came toward the bar on his way down to the floor, she called after him. “Mr. Forge? Sir?”

He was quite unsuccessful at hiding the momentary look of chagrin before he turned back to the bar. “Yes, Angela?”

She reached across the counter, the glistening martini glass casting an impressive reflection. For an odd moment he stared at it, then only his eyes moved to watch hers. The silent communication between the two was brief; Angela hoped it would help him get past the obvious pain, while Forge was interested only in that it appeared as though he had a new source of information to bleed.

He accepted the martini with a forced smile, and nodded to the young woman as he stood there a moment to taste it. ‘So, no one knows where you’re off to, indeed..?’

Before he could even take the second sip, a shuddering crash and raised voices reached them even over the music of the dance floor. The martini was forgotten, as Forge turned toward the dance floor entrance, where the guard posted right inside the door raised a hand to his earpiece, then looked up as though searching for someone. When his eyes met Forge’s, he nodded briskly and disappeared outside.

“Excuse me…” Forge abandoned the glass and Angela, as he scurried down the levels. Most of the dancing patrons were oblivious, though some of them slid out the door to see what the ruckus was about.

Angela watched him go, curious as to what the hell was going on outside. Of course there was the occasional bar fight at Xile, but they were far and few between, thanks to the thoroughly frightening size of the bouncers. Coming from around the counter, she wondered what (or who) had been stupid enough to take on the likes of Lucas and Josef??


Outside the Xile…
Wiping gingerly at his busted lip, Josef looked at the man with a murderous glare; he guessed the last time someone had managed to strike him was probably when he was about twelve years old, and he didn’t like the reminder of the memory.

Standing quickly, he cracked his knuckles loudly as he stepped toward the older man who was waiting for him several feet away. Just like he had then, he planned now to make sure it didn’t happen again.

Logan growled low in his throat, as the pissed off bouncer advanced. His equally huge and angry buddy side-stepped, obviously attempting to initiate a two-front campaign. Wolverine fought the itch of his knuckles, refusing (for the moment, anyway) to bring out his claws. It wasn’t a fight he was looking for, but if it brought ‘Ro out of hiding, then maybe he didn’t mind roughing up her help a little. “Look, ‘Bruno’, I ain’t got time fer this shit. Jus’ lemme inside.”

Lucas dove at him as he said this, but the Wolverine was too quick for him, sliding out of the way and managing to lay an elbow between the man’s shoulder blades as he sailed past. Lucas slid along the hard sidewalk, picking up concrete burns and gravel as he went.

“You’re not goin’ anywhere, old man.” Josef reared back, clasping his fists together over his head. Logan quirked an eyebrow, realizing the man was still a couple steps out of his muscled arms’ length to strike him. Josef had no intention of physically hitting him, though.

With a grunt, he slammed his fists into the ground, pieces of gravel and concrete and the dirt beneath flying everywhere. Bystanders were sent running (or flying) as the mini-quake ricocheted outward. Logan was thrown off balance, but managed to stay away from the man’s jack-hammer fists as they came down again and again.

As the sidewalk began to look more like a phosphate mine, Forge and another guard burst out of the club’s main entrance, immediately losing their own footing with the cascade of tremors. “Josef!!

Unable to hear beyond the noise of his own making, the young bouncer kept pummeling the earth toward Logan, who made it look too easy as he kept time with the tremors, bouncing from an over-turned car, to a mailbox, to the side of the building…

As Josef raised his arms again, he realized too late he’d opened himself up to attack, as Logan’s powerful legs pushed off the side of the building like springs and sent him flying directly at him. Logan crashed into the man’s chest, the weight of his adamantium-laced skeleton and the force of the impact sending Josef flying backward, laying him out prostrate on what was left of the side walk behind him. Before he could think to react, Logan had a hand pulling at the man’s open shirt collar and the other rose, pointing downward as all three claws emerged.

“Stop!!”

Logan let his claws come down to barely centimeters away from slicing through Josef’s thick neck, as he looked up to see Forge just outside the door, another man beside him with a glock pointed squarely at Logan’s head. The two men met gazes, each recalling their first meeting. Logan didn’t like the look in Forge’s eye one bit, so he kept his blades dangerously close to Josef’s skin. “You wanna call off yer dogs, b’fore one o’ em gets hurt?”

When Logan’s gaze moved pointedly to the man with the gun, Forge waited a few moments before he brought his hand up to lower the man’s automatic. Only then did Logan sheath his claws and lifted his weight off of Josef. “You don’t have any business here, X-Man. I suggest you leave, before the police arrive.”

Logan sniffed, stepping closer to the entrance several feet. Hooking a thumb in one of his belt loops, he shifted his weight to one foot, evaluating Forge. He could tell the man was hiding something, but he was curious at the sense of frustration and loss he also picked up. “Last time I checked, you didn’t own the joint, Forge. Whatever business I got inside is ‘tween me an’ the Lady you call boss.”

At the mere mention of Ororo, Forge seemed to ice over even more, if possible. He watched the ease and familiarity with which Logan referred to her, and his blood pressure shot up several notches. He was only comforted with the thought that if this X-Man was here, he must not know of Ororo’s plans for an indefinite absence. Torn between his emerging Plans for Logan and a compelling need to hold on to his place in ‘Ro’s life, Forge hesitated when Wolverine said this. He couldn’t very well let the man out of his grasp since Logan had gone through the trouble of delivering himself so neatly to Forge’s front door, but his curiosity at what he wanted with Ororo warred with his better sense. “As far as you’re concerned, I do. Besides, Ororo isn’t here.”

The surprise in Logan’s eyes was well worth the leak of info, as Forge smiled smugly, crossing his arms. Before Logan could open his mouth, the young bartender Angela rushed out of the door, panting slightly, as her bright eyes assessed the situation quickly. “Mr. Forge, sir, Carlos got th’ cops headin’ this way…”

Forge nodded as if this only confirmed his already low opinion of Logan. Turning back to the X-Men member, he said, “Now look what you’ve done. I don’t suppose you’ll want to stick around to explain all this to the police, will you Mr. Logan.”

Wolverine grunted, but he really wasn’t paying too much attention to Forge at this point. His eyes had been drawn to the young bartender; the look she was giving him gave Logan pause. It was definitely a message of some sorts, but he wasn’t sure what she was getting at. He kept his eye on her as he growled to Forge, “Let yer watch-dogs over there tell ‘em what happened. B’sides, I’m sure some o’ these fine people that were jus’ waitin’ t’get in but got their heads shook up instead will be more than willin’ to sing some songs fer the cops.”

Sneering, Forge turned momentarily, barking at the two dazed bouncers, (not exactly helping them to their feet) as the sounds of sirens became louder. The other patrons quickly got their bearings and dispersed, many not wishing to get into the middle of whatever it was they’d stepped into. In the commotion, Angela innocently slid down the sidewalk, disappearing down the dark alley after making eye contact with Logan one last time. This time, he needed no other sign to get the point.

By the time he came down the alley behind her, the girl was gone. Logan wondered if this wasn’t some trick, but he kept going anyway. Just when he thought better to stop and turn back, he came upon a door on the side of the building. There was a slightly damp white towel tied around the knob. Untying the towel, Logan slipped inside the unlocked door, closing it soundly behind him.


Somewhere deep inside Xile…
Angela wrung her hands to the point the skin was beginning to tingle, as she willed her heart to slow its tumultuous beating against her ribs. She’d been waiting there for almost five minutes, all the while alternating between wishing she hadn’t just done what she’d did, and hoping this Logan man hurried the hell up. She stopped pacing, convincing herself she was doing what was best for Ororo, but first she needed answers herself.

When the door to the storage room opened quietly, and he slid inside, she suddenly wished she’d taken all this on good faith. Logan watched the girl in the dim light of the small room, obviously attempting to determine whether or not she was on the up and up. Tracking her scent hadn’t been that difficult at all, considering her perfume mixed with the smells of a night club fairly rolled off of her. What had taken Logan so long, was in the decision to follow this little white rabbit down the hole.

“Mr. Logan…” Angela chastised herself mentally for the slight waver in her voice. The last thing she wanted to appear was weak or afraid to this man.

“First off, it’s just ‘Logan’. Second”Kid, you got a lot of nerve. Forge finds out ‘bout this, it’s yer ass.”

She raised her pointed chin, indignant. “Don’che think I know that? Ye lemme fret over such things…Logan.”

He grinned, deciding he may like her already. “Fair enough. Now what’s with all the subterfuge?”

Here, Angela’s resolve seemed to weaken, as she leaned against the wall. “I spoke with ‘Roro b’fore she left. She told me ye were gonne help her. Yet here ye are, sniffin’ round th’ club like ye don’ know where’n she is. What the hell’s up?”

Appreciating her straightforwardness if not the attitude along with it, Logan cocked a brow at her. “Okay, Third, watch the tone, girl. Remember, you brought me in here. If Ororo told you about me, then you know my intentions t’help her are genuine. I ain’t here ta jerk no chains. I thought she’d be here, is all. ‘Haven’t seen her in a couple days.”

“Ye don’t think som’thin’s ‘appened te her, d’ye?” Angela seemed about ready to call the search dogs.

Logan stopped himself from commenting on the last time Ororo had disappeared. He had to remind himself that ‘Ro had told him not many people knew about her condition. This girl seemed to know something was up with her though. “Well, a woman in Ororo’s…condition, may just want to be left alone for awhile. I doubt it’s really anythin’ to get all up in arms about. But I need t’ find her all the same.”

Angela came away from the wall, tentatively stepping close to him, searching his eyes closely. Lightly gripping his jacket’s sleeve, she pleaded, “Please, Logan. If’n I give ye her home address, ye got te promise me ye’ll get her the best help ye can. Find out what’s wrong with her! ‘Roro tries te be so strong sometimes…she does’ne like te ask f’ help, ‘specially when she be needin’ it the most.”

‘So, the kid doesn’t know…’ Logan was glad he hadn’t blown Ororo’s cover, but wondered why she kept such a secret from someone she’d told him was such a close friend. When they’d spent all night talking at his apartment, Ororo seemed so proud of the progress the little bartender had made. It made little sense to him that she wouldn’t let the girl in on her affliction. “I’ll do my best, kid. Now…you said you have her address..?”

Angela whipped out a small note pad from her short apron, and jotted it down. Tearing it off and handing it to him, she held on a second longer than necessary so he’d look at her again. “Give ‘Roro muh best, mate, ‘kay? Tell her t’call me soon as it’s proper.”

Logan wasn’t the sentimental type at all, anyone who knew him could’ve said, but still he hesitated at the real concern marked in the young woman’s eyes. He could tell her care was genuine, and for that, he’d do his damnedest. Wordless, he only nodded briefly, sliding the paper out of her grasp, and quietly disappeared back the way he’d come.

---

Smoothing her apron and hair, Angela turned the corner back onto the street, where a half dozen squad cars were parked along the up-turned sidewalk, lights flashing. Most of the officers were questioning potential witnesses, while two in particular were crowded around Forge, Lucas and Josef.


As she tried to slide unseen back into the club, Forge suddenly looked her way, and his eyes held a mark of both relief as well as consternation. “Angela! Over here.”

She calmly walked to them, looking up at Forge with just enough naïve curiosity. “Aye, sir?”

“I was looking for you, where’d you run off to??”

Before she could answer, one of the officers chimed in, “Ma’am, we’re trying to gather enough eye-witness accounts to piece together what happened out here. Anything you saw could help us.”

Forge turned to the man angrily. “I told you what happened, officer! One of Charles Xavier’s X-Men came to my club and caused an out-right disturbance when asked to leave. Now why don’t you find out where he’s gone and make some arrests??”

“Calm down, Mr. Forge. We’re following procedure. Want to make sure things are done right.” The officer barely spared him a glance, turning to Angela again. “Ma’am?”

She briefly looked at her manager, then back to the officers. “I thought I saw ‘im headin’ down the alley, so I tried te follow, but the buggah must’ve been too quick, cuz I lost ‘im.”

Forge groaned deep in his throat. She turned to him again, reigniting the apologetic façade she’d seen him spare so many times. “Sorry, mate.”

“That’s great, that’s just great. These people can come down here and make a mess of my property, and there’s not a damned thing the NYPD will do about it??!” Forge turned away from the officers before they could answer, heading back to the club. He stopped only briefly to instruct one of his guards to stay glued to the cops, then stalked back inside. He was burning with anger, but more at himself than anyone else. He knew he’d let Logan slip through his fingers for a third time in as many weeks, and it was getting a little ridiculous. At this rate, if he couldn’t deliver the X-Man to General Wolfe, he’d be stuck in this dead-end job, in a dead-end city forever. Now that Ororo was gone as well, he couldn’t even depend on her to be the unwitting bait for the Wolverine.

As he watched his plans fall apart before his eyes, Forge stormed through the halls beneath the Xile, more determined than ever to see this through.

---

Ororo’s Brownstone Apartment, about thirty minutes later…
For someone who was going to disappear without the aid of any friends, Ororo was having a difficult time deciding what to take and what to leave behind. She kept reminding herself that she wasn’t leaving forever, but it didn’t seem to help. As she stood before her bedroom’s walk-in closet for the fifth time since re-packing her four bags, she finally let go of the compulsion to take her entire wardrobe, sighing heavily and stepping back.

‘It’s not as though I can’t get whatever I need on the road.’ She thought, then remembered she didn’t have a personal car, let alone a driver’s license. The irony was not lost to her that the Xile had a fleet of company cars, none of which would do her much good right then. Chuckling to herself, ‘Ro ran a nervous hand through her hair, which she’d spontaneously decided to let grow out. It’d been a cool decade since she’d worn anything longer than a messy Bob, but for some reason, she now felt as if a change were in order.

Digging through the mess she’d left around the foot of the bed, Ororo lifted the heavy yellow pages, sitting on the edge of the bed to leaf through in search of the nearest taxi. As her eyes and fingers did the searching, her mind drifted back to Logan, whom she had tried not to think of in some days. There was a very real part of her that regretted just ditching him and his offer of help, especially after what he’d done for her, but honestly, ‘Ro just couldn’t imagine being around him, knowing he was someone else’s. Witnessing his little rendezvous with the redhead had definitely spoiled any appetite for pining away for something she couldn’t have…

Shaking thoughts of Wolverine aside, Ororo seriously searched the pages, arguing with herself that there had to be another way to cure this disease; she didn’t need Logan and his X-Men. She’d survived this long, she’d find a way to keep surviving.

Deciding on a cab service, she picked up the cordless by the bedside, and began dialing.

Liberty Taxi Service.”

“Hello, I need a cab to come out to”“

Ororo nearly jumped out of her skin at the loud knocking downstairs at the front door. She cursed inwardly, suspecting she’d taken too long to pack, and now Forge was going to try to stop her from going.

“Ma’am?? What’s yer address??”

Ignoring the banging going on past the bedroom door, ‘Ro tried to focus her thoughts. Maybe if he thought she was already gone, he’d leave soon…”Oh, yes, I’m at 11600”“

Now the pounding was getting ridiculous, and the sensible side of Ororo became concerned the neighbors may call the police if it kept up. She tried to concentrate on her address, feeling trapped and just a little bit peeved.

“Lady, d’ya need a ride or not??” The voice on the other end was getting testy.

In answer, Ororo clicked the phone off roughly, tossing it on the bed and stalking out of the room. “For goddess’ sake…! Forge, I swear to the heavens you’re a dead man…”

With each step toward the foyer and each insistent pound on the hard oak wood, Ororo’s temperature jumped a few degrees. The type of language her mother wouldn’t have approved of leapt to her tongue as she lunged toward the door, reaching the knob before her steps, and jerked the lock, swinging it open angrily. “What the fuck is your prob--?”

“Well, hello t’ you too, darlin’.”

“”lem…” Ororo stared open-mouthed at the wind-tussled Wolverine clouding her door step, his hands on his slim hips as he conveyed the patience of a two year old. For several seconds she just stood there with the door open, her mouth opening and closing alternately, as if her lips worked independently of her will.

Logan’s eyes watched her, and it was clear that not-so-deep down he completely reveled in the shock he’d given her. He wasn’t surprised at all to discover, upon seeing her again, that it was exactly what he’d needed. “Well, you gonna invite a man in, or do I have ta stand out here in the chill?”

Still strangely quiet with that dumb-founded look plastered on her face, ‘Ro silently sidestepped to allow him in, following his progress into her home with a gaze colored with a mixture of shock and ire. When he turned to look back at her, she finally closed the door, and then faced him, her arms crossed. “Wha--? How”?”

“You plannin’ on goin’ somewhere without me, ‘Ro?” he asked pointedly, ignoring her stuttering attempt at a question.

She stepped up to him, openly puzzled. “How do you know that?”

He shrugged one shoulder, giving her a wolfish grin. “I got my sources. Lucky fer me, you got people ‘care enough t’worry ‘bout ya.”

With a wry smile, she shook her head, knowing immediately the only person who would’ve given Logan that sort of information. “Yes, lucky me. Now, am I to assume you have become one of those people?”

Wolverine cocked a brow at her fresh tone (just barely laced with a dose of sarcasm). “I never said that.”

“Then why are you here? To send me off?” she chuckled, walking past him to sit gingerly on the edge of the nearest couch.

Logan jammed his hands deep into his pockets, studying her face closely. He looked a lot younger to her then, his clear grey eyes shining in the dim light of the room. He rocked back and then forward on his booted heels, the leather of his shoes and the jacket creaking momentarily. “I told ya I’d help ya. I’m here ta’ keep my promise.”

She searched his eyes closer, her fingers lightly drumming along the couch’s arm as she studied his every move and gesture. “What if I said I didn’t need it anymore?”

He couldn’t miss the undercurrent there lying beneath those words, and decided maybe it was time to stop with the cat and mouse. “’Ro, you can talk t’me, ya know. It’s obvious somethin’s botherin’ ya, and I gotta admit I was startin’ ta take offense when ya didn’t get back to me. I thought we had a deal.”

“Oh, so is that what this is about? You want me to return to Westchester with you so the X-Men can keep tabs on another ‘dangerous’ mutant?”

“Where the hell’d you get somethin’ like that from?? Listen, darlin’, if I did somethin’ to irk ya, then that’s fine, be mad at me. But don’t cut off yer nose just ta spite yer face. The X-Men are your only real chance o’ beatin’ this thing. I thought that’s what ya wanted.” He said quietly.

Ororo’s eyes fell away from his face. She knew it wasn’t fair to give Logan the cold shoulder, especially since all he’d ever done since meeting her and hearing her plight, was to offer help. She would’ve gladly accepted it, too, if it weren’t for the fact that every time she looked at him, she saw him with that woman…”Logan, I just need to get away for awhile. I thought going to Westchester with you, meeting the X-Men and hoping they could help would be good for me…”

“An’ now ya don’t?”

She bit her lip, chewing in silence. She didn’t want to get into this with him right then. She couldn’t relive the embarrassment of what she’d seen and definitely didn’t want to do so with him! Truth be told, ‘Ro couldn’t say what it was that made her think so irrationally about this whole situation. She knew it was in her best interests to go with him, but something in her chest hurt at the thought of being by his side when he stepped back into the X-Men’s fold, into the arms of another woman.

Seeing the indecision warring just beneath the surface, Logan stepped close to where she sat, so that he was directly in front of her, and knelt there. When she still refused to meet his questioning gaze, he reached out to lift her chin. “Hey…”

Ororo gave him eye contact only briefly, afraid he’d see what she so desperately was trying to hide. “No, of course I still do. I’m fine, really. Just…apprehensive, I guess.”

Logan wasn’t fooled, but for the second time since he’d known her, let the white lie slide. “That’s understandable. But you don’t have to go through none o’ this alone…the X-Men will take good care o’ ya. B’sides, you know me now, so it ain’t like yer too much a stranger in a strange land, right?”

“Yeah…” she smiled a little weakly, but tried to sound more assured.

That decided, Logan stood once more, and then held out his hand. “Good girl. So, what’d’ya say?”

She looked at his palm for several seconds, then up into his eyes. All she saw there was the concern of a friend, and it both reassured and disappointed her. Taking his hand, she stood and then gestured upstairs. “My bags are already packed.”


And So…
After retrieving her things (one bag she had so sling over her neck, as it wouldn’t fit on the back of the Harley), Logan settled into the comfortable groove of the leather seat, then ‘Ro behind him. He handed her the helmet he never used but always carried, and helped her secure it properly. “Ever been on one o’ these?”

“…No.”

“Then ya’d better hold on tight, darlin’. ‘She’ really moves.”

Before Ororo could get a clarification on exactly how fast that was, he pumped the bike into action, the rumble beneath them loud and powerful and to her exciting and frightening at once. Lacing her hands around his torso, ‘Ro clung to him as she felt the wheels begin to turn, and the wind pick up around them.

Even through the turbulence of the ride, Logan could feel her heart thumping quickly against his back, and he slowed just a bit as they rode, enough to quickly lay a hand on hers pressed against his chest. When he could feel her nervousness subside, he picked up the pace, and headed for the open road.

Despite her initial misgivings, Ororo couldn’t deny the whipping wind all around them, reminding her of many midnight flights she’d indulge in when she was sure no one was around. She realized this was not unlike soaring high above the clouds, and she smiled to herself.

She didn’t know Wolverines could fly.

TBC…
Chapter 10 by Echo
By the Midnight Sun
CHAPTER TEN


“Here you go…”

Ororo couldn’t keep the look of pure excitement and anticipation off her face as the waitress placed the plates of food before her, hot and fresh and beautiful.

“And for you, sir…”

Logan watched the undeniably youthful expression as it played across her features, looking past the arms of their server as she positioned their respective meals. If he hadn’t known better, he’d have to assume the woman hadn’t eaten in days, as she didn’t hesitate to unwrap the provided silverware from their paper napkin prison, and dug in.

The waitress smiled pleasantly, wrapping her hands with her spotted apron, and turned appreciative eyes to Logan. “That be all for ya?”

He nodded, picking up the monstrous double cheese and bacon burger before him. “Thanks.”

For the first several minutes, they ate in silence, and appreciated it. The two had stopped for a rest and a bite to eat at one of Wolverine’s favorite out-of-the-way, all-night diners along Hwy 95, after Wolverine had sworn he’d heard her stomach growl louder than he does. He didn’t really need to convince her to stop for the short rest, and the two found themselves engaged in light conversation, albeit extremely safe from any hot topics”of which Ororo could name more than a few.

Now, she buried her head as she attacked the short stack topped with whipped cream and strawberries and eyed their companion sausage links and Southern-style hash browns. She realized the ride to The Institute was nearing an end, and the closer they got, the more she began to rethink this decision. After all, she wasn’t necessarily looking forward to meeting all these new faces, or to being bombarded with the inevitable questions, nor to the expected confrontation with Charles Xavier himself, one of the most imposing people she’d ever seen (on television, that is). After so long on her own-- making her own rules in life--Ororo suddenly didn’t know how to deal with the prospect of regulated communal living.

“Is that good?”

She looked up suddenly from her plate, realizing she’d stopped eating with a forkful of pancake still hovering and dripping strawberries and cream. “Hm? Oh, yeah, yes, it’s very good. Thank you, again…”

He watched her as he brought the burger up to take another bite, sensing her drifting thoughts. “No problem.”

Before he could say anything more though, she looked at the fork with some contemplation, and smiled wistfully. “You know, it’s been a long time since I’ve had anything like this. I think my father used to prepare something like this for me…on the weekends, if I recall. When I saw it on the menu, I could almost smell it from back then…”

“You and the folks were close?” He alternated between the sliced pickles and the spicy French fries at his side.

She shrugged, laying the fork down as her mouth suddenly went dry. “As close as you can be when you’re five years old. Most of my memories of them have faded so over the years…the pleasant ones, at any rate.”

He kept looking at her, studying her expression, which ran the gamut between concentrating on wistfulness and sorrow. He could tell the exact moment she was thinking of their last seconds alive. “It’s hard, ain’t it?”

She looked up then, as though he’d interrupted her train of thought. “Pardon?”

“Lettin’ go of the past. It’s hard. ‘Specially when there’re some parts that don’t make much sense anymore”if they ever did.”

She watched him now, curious at his decidedly knowledgeable tone. Ororo realized it wasn’t like Logan to talk about his own past”as they’d broached it little when she’d been at his apartment that one night”so now she was puzzled. Pushing the plate aside slightly, she leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table to support her chin on her hands. “Yes…I suppose it is. Hard. Hm, you sound as though you know a lot about the subject, Logan.”

He grinned sadly at the invitation to open up a little, feeling his reflexive tendency to avoid such requests. After a moment’s thought, he met her inquisitive gaze, “I suppose I do.”

She kept the eye contact, knowing full well that was all he was going to say on the matter. It only made her curiosity of him and his life even greater, if that were possible at this point. Ororo had to admit she knew very little of this man she’d chosen to trust so much; it was a wish of hers that”along with a cure for her disease”she may also learn more about her mysterious new friend.

Logan couldn’t help the slight smirk as he pointedly drew his eyes away from hers and returned his attention to his meal. He could sense the curiosity rolling off of her, but that wasn’t what made him grin; it wasn’t every day he met a gorgeous woman who Smelled like she wanted him…He’d picked up on it the moment she’d opened the door of her Brownstone to him, and suspected this alleged attraction was behind her sudden disappearance, and perhaps why she’d wanted to leave without him.


---


After they’d finished the meal, it was back on the road for a few hours, until it became blatantly apparent that if he didn’t stop Ororo would probably have fallen off the motorcycle, she was so drowsy.

“Wanna rest somewhere a while?”

She nodded, thankful, and he slowed to a coast as they approached a spot by the road that barely escaped resembling the Bates Motel. Logan unpacked her things quickly, not trusting the expensive-looking luggage to be there when they returned, and activated the security lock on the Harley’s ignition. It was one of his favorite rides, after all.

“I promise, just a couple of hours, tops. I just need to rest my eyes.” She held out her hand to take one of the bags, but he shook his head negatively, walking up to the little office of the motel.

“Hey, take as long as ya like darlin’. I ain’t necessarily in any hurry…” he let the rest of what he was going to say hang in the air, and purposely didn’t turn to meet the questioning gaze he knew would greet him.

When they entered the office, the petite but precocious-looking old lady behind the desk looked up at them, then smiled as she removed her hand from the shotgun adhered to the underside of the wooden desk (which, of course they couldn’t see). “Well, how’re you folks doin’ this evenin’? Kind of late fer young’ins like you to be out; dangerous, too.”

Ororo could just barely hear the low growl from Wolverine, evidently feeling they could do without the sermon or the Mothering. She smiled pleasantly at the elderly woman, coming up to the counter. “Hello. If you have a room to spare, we’d be happy to get out of the night air.” As an after-thought, she turned to Logan, “One room is alright, isn’t it? I only need a few hours’ rest.”

He nodded, unbothered. “Sure. I ain’t plannin’ on sleepin’. One room’s fine.”

The little lady hopped off of the stool she’d been perched on, and slid it over to the corkboard only a few feet away with the rooms’ keys tacked there. Climbing on it with a sureness of someone several decades younger, she stood there eyeing the silver and gold trinkets as though deciding among the most valuable. While her back was turned, she crowed, “You know, I like a young woman with manners. Can’t find many of them these days…little tarts are as foul as the boys, I tell ya. You got yerself a perty lil’ girl there, son; better hang onto that one, I say.”

‘Ro tried to hide her giggling, as she swore Logan turned a light shade of pink in the face. She leaned over to the counter as the old woman slid the log book close to them, signing her name. As she handed the woman the 50 dollar bill, Logan cleared his throat and quickly gathered her bags and headed for the door.

As he left, the old matron gave ‘Ro a purely innocent look. “Did ah say somethin’ wrong, Dearie?”

Ororo accepted the key from the woman and gave her a warm smile. “Not in the least…Good night.”

“’Night. Oh, and if’n ya ain’t stayin’ too long, you can check out ‘fore noon, and get half of this back.”

“I appreciate it, but if it’s all the same to you, I’d prefer you keep it.”

The woman gave ‘Ro a near toothless grin, and winked at her. “Sleep well, Hon. Don’t let ‘im wear ya out…heehee…”

Shaking her head, barely able to restrain from bursting out in laughter, Ororo caught up with Logan, who was walking toward the cluster of rooms only a few yards away. “What a pleasant woman…”

She heard the growl again, as he slowed just barely for her to catch up. Glancing at her, he muttered, “Old bird needs to mind her own business, ya ask me.”

“Why, Logan, shame on you!” The playful tone escaped Ororo’s lips, her eyes twinkling at him in the darkness, “She was just joking.”

“Oh, an’ what about me ‘wearin’ ya out’?? Was that a joke, too?”

She tried not to allow the blush to touch her own face as she peered at him. “You heard that?”

“Mm-hm.” He took the keys from her and unlocked the door to Room 127, bringing her bags in and setting them on the floor.

‘Ro’s chuckle turned to one of slight embarrassment, as she realized what he must think at the fact that she hadn’t corrected the woman. “Hey, I didn’t mean to offend you, Logan. I just thought it was kind of cute, that’s all. I apologize, if”“

“You don’t need ta ‘pologize fer anythin, ‘Ro. Ain’t like my feelin’s were hurt or anythin’. Just don’t like people in my business, is all. Even cute old ladies.”

She relaxed a little at the slightly playful tone at the end of that last statement, as he stacked her bags near the door, and locked it behind them. Turning to the neatly-made bed, she sat down on it for a second before sighing and leaning over, her aching back blessing her at feeling the welcomed cushion of the mattress. “Goddess, that feels good…”

Logan pulled the single chair of the room close to the television set (which looked like its cousin may have been a b/w) and turned it on, keeping the volume low. With his back to her he manually flipped through the plethora of stations (nine total…). “If the light from the tube is too bright, just lemme know, alright?”

When she didn’t answer, he turned to repeat the question, but found the tired woman already asleep. Walking over to the bed, he watched her sleep for a few seconds; her face was calm, with lips slightly parted as she breathed. Her nostrils flared every few moments, as her eyes moved behind the lids. Sliding out of his heavy leather jacket, he draped it over her shoulders carefully so as not to wake her, and brushed a few random white curls out of her face. They were soft and smooth as silk, feeling just like he imagined the clouds they resembled would.

Turning away, Logan went to the nearby window and cracked it open, then returned to the chair where he promptly pulled out a cigar, and settled in to watch the last few minutes of a Conan O’Brien rerun.


---


About 4:47 a.m…
Logan’s face contorted as his senses struggled to wake him from dozing. Initially, he couldn’t imagine why he was getting warning signals, but then the Wolverine’s instincts took over, reminding him that until he opened his eyes and saw there was no danger, all he needed to know was that there were warning signals.

His eyes popped open suddenly, and he nearly fell from the chair, turning his head
around in the darkened room. There were no explosions, no group of rogue mutants from the Brotherhood or killer Sentinels; nothing. As he surveyed his surroundings in the dark, the only sounds he could make out were his own breathing, and the soft moans of despair.

‘’Ro?’ He came around to the side of the bed, where she’d curled up into a fetal position, but was evidently struggling in her sleep. It must’ve been her sounds of a
nightmare that had awakened him. “Ororo?”

She didn’t respond, as the dream seemed to intensify and her hands clutched at anything within grasp. Abruptly, she let out a terrible sound like a wounded animal, and
Logan’s hackles rose as he heard the not-so-distant thunder beyond the room’s walls. Belatedly, he realized it wasn’t him, but the instantaneous static electricity in the atmosphere around them. “Ah, shit…”

He kneeled close to the bedside, and tentatively reached out to her, but then drew back swiftly when her body began to waver as if blown by a strong wind. “What kinda friggin’ nightmare are you havin’??” He reached out again, and this time received a not so pleasant shock when he touched her skin. “Agh…’Ro. Ro!”

The ‘tickle’ of the lightning must have jolted her slightly, because all at once her eyes opened toward him, but instead of meeting the cool blue gaze, Logan saw only a cloudy white”which flashed a dangerous crimson he remembered all too well…

Don’t you touch me...I won’t let you do it to me again..!” her voice was distant, almost an echo, and his eyes widened at the malicious intent there.

“Ororo, darlin’, wake up!” he fairly shouted it above the rising wind in the room, which was beginning to pick up lighter objects like pillows, magazines…then lamps. As he saw this, he could feel his knuckles itching feverously, and bit back the feeling.

When he spoke, something flickered in those eyes, something that evidently told her he was not who she wanted to dismember. The stiff breeze and the rumbling thunder died almost instantly, and her irises returned slowly. Ororo looked at him then, surprised to find him backed against the wall with an equally dangerous expression on his face. He’d been near to using force, and so decided the best way not to hurt her would be to get as far away as possible.

“L-Logan...?”

He hesitated, but then came to kneel before her as she dissolved into tears, the realization of her night-terror as just that, apparently too much to bear. She’d been close”for the second time”to doing him real, physical harm. Logan touched her arms gingerly, but felt no charge, and then vigorously rubbed them as if she were a hypothermia patient. “Hey, it’s alright, yer awake now…”

‘Ro could only shake her head, unable to release the image burned in her brain. After so many years the Man still haunted her nights, and even now seemed to hold some unholy control over her. She knew what these dreams meant. They usually preceded the Need to Feed… “Logan…I’m so sorry..!”

She leaned into his embrace as he reached for her, feeling the trembling and sensing the fear rolling off of her like a perfume. “Hey, hey, it’s okay, darlin’…it’s okay.”

For several moments he just held her as she tried to let his steadying embrace and soothing voice calm her fear. He wasn’t at all sure what it was she thought she’d seen that would inspire such obvious hatred, and maybe he didn’t want to know. He knew he did want it to stop. As she leaned against him, Logan touched her face carefully, as if it was the most fragile glass, and he relaxed as well, when he felt her warm breath against his fingers. “Logan?”

He didn’t look down when her hand reached up to close around his fingers. She didn’t brush them away, however; for several tense seconds she just held them, as if the touch gave her all the strength she needed. Leaning up, Ororo watched him through watery eyes, not wanting to trust the sudden change she had wished to feel in the air between them. Logan observed her carefully, as if for some sign of his next direction. “Ororo, I…”

He couldn’t seem to find the words he knew he needed, and the frustration it caused was evident on his face. All he wanted was for her suffering to stop, but somehow what he thought was the appropriate words failed him.

Ororo waited patiently for him to continue, her heart beating a little faster in anticipation. She squeezed his hand in comfort, and when he looked up at her again, she smiled warmly at him, even as a last tear fell, caressing her cheek; marring the delicate skin with its salty trail of pent up despair.

Transfixed by it, Logan met her gaze again, but this time instead of speaking, he slowly leaned forward, and gently brushed her lips with his. Still grasping his fingers close to her face, Ororo took a sharp intake of breath; he hesitated, their faces less than a hand’s breadth apart, foreheads touching barely. It reminded him of that night in his apartment, when she’d been so close to him, he felt like he was drowning in the scent of her all around him. Even then, just as now, he could hear both their hearts beating wildly in tandem, and when she moved in suddenly to kiss him, the sound was literally music to his ears.


There’s such a sad love
Deep in your eyes, a kind of pale jewel
Open and closed within your eyes
I’ll place the sky within your eyes.

There’s such a fooled heart
Beating so fast in search of new dreams,
A love that will last within your heart
I’ll place the moon within your heart.

As the pain sweeps through
Makes no sense for you.
Every thrill has gone
Wasn’t too much fun at all.
But I’ll be there for you…
As the world falls down…

(Falling)
Falling down
Falling in love…



Since that night, Logan had secretly wondered what this fair-haired angel would taste like, and as that thought became a reality, he wasn’t disappointed. Holding her face carefully despite his instinct to show her exactly how much he wanted her at that moment, Wolverine deepened the kiss, savoring the soft, feathery feel of her hair between his fingers and the plump fullness of her bottom lip as he pulled on it gently with his own. He could hear her response to that subtle act”the breathy moan of approval, low and seductive”and could feel it as well, as she leaned into him for more.


I’ll paint you mornings of gold
I’ll spin you Valentine evenings
Though we’re strangers till now,
We’re choosing the path between the stars
I’ll leave my love between the stars.

As the pain sweeps through
Makes no sense for you.
Every thrill has gone
Wasn’t too much fun at all
But I’ll be there for you
As the world falls down…



Feeling his level of excitement reach a point where it wasn’t comfortable any longer, Logan reluctantly drew away from her, watching as she kept her eyes closed, face tilted, with a smile as delicate as her features. She seemed to be savoring the kiss, almost reliving it, and then finally came back to him and the real world, touching the tips of her fingers to her mouth gently. She opened her eyes to him, now sparkling with a different emotion all too welcome. “Damn…”

Logan’s eyes widened momentarily at that blasphemous announcement, as she seemed to realize her own somewhat uncharacteristic reaction and grinned sheepishly. He couldn’t deny the familiar feeling tingling over certain parts of his body, and chuckled softly, watching her. Damn, was right.


TBC…
Chapter 11 by Echo
By the Midnight Sun
CHAPTER ELEVEN


Morning; Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters…
As the sun seemed to struggle over the horizon, a solemn and more than slightly-uncomfortable group of people sat around one of the kitchen tables, each trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to bury him- or herself in their own thoughts as much as in their breakfasts.

Remy LeBeau sat hunched over a mixing bowl filled with more than his share of Fruit Loops and watched the artificially-flavored rings drown in a sea of milk, sabotaging their attempts to stay afloat with his spoon. Usually he would have no problems devouring such a large amount at breakfast, but this time his heart”nor his stomach”was in it.

To his immediate left, Rogue mirrored his posture, except her concentration was centered on covering a thick half of a Lender’s bagel, slathering it down with cream cheese. Every few moments or so, her sparkling gaze would lift to glare at the figure across the short table.

Jean Grey delicately scooped the last of her peach yogurt from the little Yoplait container, bringing it to her lips like she was modeling for the commercials. She was more irritated than she would let on; having to forcefully block the mental daggers Rogue was undoubtedly aware she was tossing across the table.

Beside her, at the head of the table, Scott Summers appeared immersed in the morning edition of the Times, the remnants of his grapefruit half and bowl of Grape Nuts pushed aside so he could spread the paper out before his face. Behind it, however, his ruby-quartz shaded eyes nearly bore holes through the pages, as he barely held from throwing the paper down and yelling at all of them. He was tired of the ill feelings circulating around the Mansion, especially among those gathered in this very room. It frustrated him that he didn’t seem to have the same impact on them as the Professor surely would have, to get all this nonsense to stop. As he sighed under his breath, he felt Jean’s thoughts push to enter his mind, curious as to what was wrong. Without so much as a second thought, he firmly drew up a few mental blocks the Professor had taught him, and kept reading the paper. He suspected she still didn’t know he knew about her “visit” to Hell’s Kitchen a few days back, and he wanted it to stay that way. He’d deal with her later…

Sitting opposite to him, Sage robotically finished her plain oatmeal, and then went to the dishwasher to dutifully deposit the used items before wordlessly washing her hands and leaving. Far from a spectator to this internal turmoil among certain team members, she had better things to do, heading to the Med-lab.

Bobby Drake met her on his way in as she left, grinning but receiving only a curt nod in return. Shrugging (that was Sage, after all, Love her or leave her), he opened the refrigerator door, window-shopping for a few moments before turning to the pantry and dragging out his stash of Soft Batch double-chocolate chip cookies, a bag of chili-cheese Bugles and an unopened six-pack of Yoo-Hoo. Coming to sit in Sage’s vacated seat, he spread his “breakfast” before him, looking up to smile at the group, but his bright beam faltered at the icy response. ‘Shit, and I thought I knew what cold was…’ Shrugging, Drake opened the noisy bags, deciding he’d likely have better conversation with the bottles of Yoo-Hoo.

As he popped the first fistful of Bugles into his cavernous mouth, they could hear the front door suddenly open and slam shut, then opened again and shut, then once more. Jubilation Lee raced past the kitchen door, following Shadowcat and a fast-paced Colossus.

Scott’s paper never moved as his voice called out, “Slow down, Jubilee..!”
He heard her sneakers on the polished floor of the foyer skid to a halt, then back- track toward the kitchen. Even before she reached the door her excitement was palpable. “Guys! Guys! He’s back!”

Whomb?” Bobby tried not to spit Bugles and cookie everywhere.

The teen hopped with uncontained joy, already backing away from the kitchen door. “Wolvie! Wolvie’s back!!”

Looks were exchanged all around the table, and the New York Times was quietly laid to rest on the counter top.


---


Outside, along the steep road approaching the Mansion…
Logan slid the gate opener back into one of the small compartments on the side of the Harley, then leaned up to look behind him at Ororo. He smiled at her, and patted her knee with some reassurance. “Well, here we are. Ready?”

She smiled at him through the dark sunglasses she’d thought to bring with her, and squeezed his hand as it rested on her knee. “As I’ll ever be, I suppose.”

They rode up the steep, winding incline to the back of the Mansion, where the garage would open up for him to park the bike. Before they could do that, however…

“Oh, my goodness…” her eyes widened at the ugly, pitiful sight before them as they came up to the garage entrance. Logan didn’t say anything, slowly riding past the mangled, broken shell of what used to be a Dodge Viper. The Chrome wheels had been stripped; the red paint buried under layers of dried mud and permanent spray-paint (the kids must’ve used it as a practice canvas); the leather interior looked as though the cow had lost the battle to reclaim it; and the sound system that Scott had paid for with his own money…well, it was assumed the pieces were somewhere in car audio heaven by the looks of the gutted dashboard and trunk of the automobile.

Logan pointedly ignored the sad sight as he parked the motorcycle next to the other cars. He knew it was there only until he returned, probably Scooter’s idea of a message. He thought the kids might bang it up a little, but he couldn’t have imagined in his wildest dreams that they’d find it looking like the metal skeleton from a cannibal’s barbeque.

“I hope no one was driving that.” Ororo began to unpack her bags from the back of the Harley.

Barely containing a snicker, Logan muttered, “Fer sure, no one will again…”

The entrance leading to the house opened then, and before he could think twice, Logan found himself smothered by Jubilee, who did her best to crush him in a hug. “Wolviiieee!!! Omigod, I’m sooo glad you’re back! We missed you so much..!”

Chuckling despite himself, Logan wound an arm around the girl’s waist, pinning her to his side, and lifted her off the ground in a tight embrace. “Same here, JuBees.”

She laughed at the playfully crushing hug, squealing as she wound her arms about his neck. Behind them, Ororo couldn’t help but smile at the tender scene. She’d learned how compassionate the rough-edged Wolverine could be, when he wanted, and wasn’t surprised to see this again with the way he treated the young teen. She suspected the relationship between the two was as big a factor in his decision to come back as her illness.

Setting her down, Logan turned toward Ororo, pressing Jubilee forward as he began the introductions. “Hey, I want you to meet someone, Jubes. She’s gonna be stickin’ around fer awhile…this is Ororo Munroe. ‘Ro, Jubilation Lee.”

The young girl surprised her, immediately coming forward and extending a welcoming hand, a genuine smile on her face. She glanced back at Logan once or twice, evidently a silent communication not lost upon ‘Ro, and then turned to beam at the woman. The look she gave her was both welcoming as well as slightly knowing. “Nice t’meet ‘cha, Ms. Munroe. Are you joining the team?”

Ororo laughed at that, glancing at Logan briefly, before taking the girl’s hand warmly. “Uh, I don’t think so, Jubilation.”

“She’s just here to meet with the Professor,” Logan explained, coming to stand beside ‘Ro and laying a reassuring hand on her back, “to see if he and Hank can help her. Is he back, yet?”

“Naw, not yet.” Jubilation’s inquisitive nature knew better than to prod when Logan gave vague answers such as that, though she did eye Ororo for a moment. “But the last I heard, he was planning to return sometime next week. Scott would know for sure…”

“Yeah, I bet he would.” Logan bent to gather Ororo’s bags, and turned to the two as he indicated the garage entrance to the mansion. “Anyhow, ‘Ro, if ya wanna follow me, I’ll take ya upstairs. I’m sure the rest o’ the team will wanna meet ya, and you’ll prob’ly have t’meet Scott at some point. Might as well get it over with.”

“Who’s Scott?” she followed them toward the door.

“Mr. Summers, he’s Team Leader and in charge when the Professor’s away,” Jubilee took her by the hand, dragging her toward Logan and the door. Under her breath, she muttered, “He can be a dick sometimes, but the Professor trusts him while he’s gone.”

“Jubes…” Logan began, and then paused, shrugging. “Ah hell, it’s the truth.”

Jubilee giggled, turning to ‘Ro and smiling. Ororo liked the girl already, with her welcoming smile and Loganesque attitude. ‘It seems as though I’ve been adopted’, she thought, inwardly laughing. Her heart still fluttered though, as they traversed the long hall leading up to the mansion’s interior. Logan didn’t seem the least bit concerned, but she had to notice when he didn’t tell Jubilee the exact reason she was there. She wondered whether the girl would still be holding her hand, if she knew…

“Ah, ‘Home Sweet Home’…and all that shit.” Logan led them off the lift and into the wide foyer of the mansion, where, of course, a noticeable entourage had gathered.

“Hey, Logan, welcome back.” Iceman grinned, still holding his bag of Bugles.

Ororo watched as Logan’s posture suddenly stiffened. He nodded toward the young man, though his eyes scanned the small crowd as if watching for an attack. “Drake.”

Ororo came to stand beside him, trying to take some comfort in their physical proximity, as she felt the stares. Jubilee came up and grabbed her hand, smiling up at her silently, then turning to someone in the gathering and glaring. Ororo tried to see who she was giving the daggers, but then a man stepped up to her from the pack, his eyes hidden by red-tinted glasses. Upon seeing him, Ororo recognized his face from television and the papers, and could only assume he was this supposed hard-ass, Scott.

Summers stopped a few feet away from them, watching Logan. “Wolverine, I see you’ve brought us a guest. Care to introduce us?”

Ororo heard a barely perceptible growl from Logan, as his flint-colored eyes roved over the younger man carefully. Baring teeth in what could only be perceived as a threat (it was nowhere close to a smile), he said coolly, “Sure, Cykes. This here’s Ororo Munroe. She’ll need to see Chuck as soon as he gets back from D.C. Hank, you may wanna take a look at her, too, later. She’ll need yer help.”

At that, the blue-furred Doctor came forward, adjusting his specs as if to get a better look at her. An appreciative smile came to his face when he saw the slightest bit of recognition in Ororo’s eyes. He took her outstretched hand, and promptly turned it over palm-down, kissing it. “It’s an extreme pleasure, Ms. Munroe. Henry McCoy, at your assistance.”

She smiled, slightly embarrassed, but said, “The pleasure’s mine, Dr. McCoy. I have to admit, your true appearance is somewhat of a shock. I’m used to seeing you on television. I’ve admired your work for sometime.” Now she recalled Logan mentioning him to her before. It’d thrown her off, however, seeing him with the blue fur, but she thought he looked more attractive with it.

McCoy smiled sheepishly, as Bobby chimed in, “You actually understand him?”

“Don’t mind Chilly, over there,” Logan smirked at Drake, then gestured to him. “’Ro, Robert Drake…”

She nodded. “I remember seeing you. Your mutation has some similarities to my own.”

“Which is..?” Scott still stood with his arms crossed, the slight mistrust coming through his ruby glasses.

She turned to him. “Weather manipulation mostly…Mr. Summers, I believe it is? A pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

Somewhat softened by her politeness, Scott extended his hand and they shook. He was caught off guard by the way she seemed to look past his glasses, as if she could meet his gaze through them. The look of confidence he saw there impressed him. “Likewise, Ms. Munroe. I hope the X-Men can help you.”

Hank nodded eagerly. “If you would like, we can initiate a preliminary consultation and some testing prior to Professor Xavier’s return from his Conference. Dr. Grey, if you’d lend your expert assistance in the Professor’s absence, I’m sure we could obtain a marvelous ‘head-start’, if you will.”

‘Ro smiled at the gentle doctor, as he turned to the group and addressed one of them. Her eyes followed his, scanning the faces of which she was somewhat vaguely familiar with, but then her smile faltered, as she landed on one she knew she’d never
forget.

Jean stepped from behind Rogue and Remy, the stiff smile on her face firmly in place. She watched Ororo for a moment, inwardly puzzled at the momentarily startled look on her face. She could sense the woman recognized her in some capacity, but assumed it was because Logan had explained who she was prior to their arrival. As Ororo’s gaze lowered quickly and a confused expression covered her features for a moment, Jean wondered just what had Wolverine said..? Maybe she could find out. “Of course, Hank, I’d be more than happy to lend a hand.”

Logan stepped in front of ‘Ro, his eyes the only indication he thought that was bullshit. “Actually, I thought I’d show Ororo to her room. We’ve been ridin’ all night, and I’m sure she’s tired.”

‘Ro couldn’t have thanked Logan enough for that ‘Out’, and her expression told him so as he turned to look at her. He could sense her distress and confusion, but didn’t automatically associate it with Jean. “Yes, I have to admit, I am rather fatigued.”

Scott nodded, as if the decision had been his, and began to back away, returning to the kitchen. “Well, welcome to the Xavier Institute, Ms. Munroe--“

“Please, call me Ororo.”

“Ororo, then. If you’ll excuse me, I’m sure Logan can show you around.”

As most of the others came up and quickly introduced themselves”the quiet and aloof Sage; the somewhat reserved but curious Lucas Bishop; the gentle giant Peter Rasputin and his young girlfriend Kathryn Pryde; the winged Adonis Warren Worthington III and Elizabeth Braddock; followed by mysterious yet attentive Kurt Wagner”Scott and Jean disappeared back into the kitchen, the latter giving Logan and then Ororo one last once over.

Jubilee didn’t miss the exchange between the two women, and raised an eyebrow at Rogue, who also seemed to sense something amiss. Remy and the Belle stayed as the others departed, leaving the quartet alone in the foyer. Jubilee squeezed ‘Ro’s hand once before following Peter and Kitty back out the front door, where they’d been in the middle of a game of poker on the front patio.

“Ororo, glad you decided t’meet our lit’l rag-tag group, chere,” Gambit gave her a dazzling smile, then turned to Rogue.

The other woman gave ‘Ro a cautious smile, extending a gloved hand. “Hope ya know what yer gettin’ inta here, Sugah. ‘Much as ah love it here, sometimes the place feels like one big Reality T.V. show.”

‘Ro laughed, appreciating the humor as much as the sarcastic warning. She smiled at the two; obviously in love if Remy’s close proximity and Rogue’s arm low around his waist was any indication. “Well, I’d appreciate a sneak preview, if you’d be willing…”

“Oh, merci, where’re Remy’s manners…Ororo, dis is Rogue…”

The Southerner dipped her head, then amended, “You can call me by muh given name, if ya like: Marie. ‘Sides, any friend a’ Logan’s…”

‘Ro smiled as Wolverine hefted her things over his shoulder, indicating they were about to leave. “Marie…that’s a beautiful name. Nice to meet you. And good to see you again, Remy.”

They came along as Logan headed up the central stairway, making small talk. Ororo told Rogue about the club, which Gambit had evidently mentioned to her, and promised to take her there sometime in the future. As Logan stopped outside the bedroom, which was just down the hall from his, the other two politely made their exit, disappearing into Rogue’s bedroom.

As he led the way in, placing her bags near the vacant vanity dresser nearby, Ororo followed silently, watching him as her mind reeled. She wanted to know why the hell this Jean chick was there, and why she and Logan were acting as if they didn’t know one another, when only about a week before, it was blatantly apparent to her that they did. Especially in the Biblical sense. Confusion marred her features as she tried to piece together what she knew, what Logan had told her earlier that morning at the hotel after they’d kissed, and what she’d just seen.

“Hey, are you alright?”

She looked up then, meeting his gaze. She realized she must’ve zoned out for a moment there. “Hm? Sorry?”

“I’ve been talkin’ to ya fer like, five minutes, an’ ya ain’t said jack. You okay?” he came to stand before her, a look of concern there.

Ororo walked past him, picking up one of her bags and unzipping it, unpacking it into the vanity dresser. With her back to him, she said, “It’s nothing, really. I…just didn’t realize when you told me this morning that you had just gotten out of a relationship that She’d be here.”

There was a moment of silence while he digested that. She turned to see the obvious confusion in his face. How did she know it was Jean?? “Did she say somethin’ to ya? Telepathically, I mean.”

Oh, shit the woman was a telepath? This just got better and better… “No, at least I don’t think so.”

“Then how’d you know she was here?” he came to stand behind her, close enough ‘Ro could feel his body heat.

“I saw her. At your apartment.” Her voice was quiet, though she knew he could probably hear the quiver in it as well as she could. She hadn’t planned on telling Logan what she’d seen that night, but considering what’d happened at the hotel, she knew she couldn’t go much further into an affair with him (if this was going that far) without coming clean with it.

Logan was speechless for several moments, as his mind went back to that night, searching for anything that could’ve alerted him to ‘Ro’s presence. All he could remember was the sound of glass breaking, and suddenly he put two and two together. As he searched for some explanation, the sound of the spilled beer, the broken bottles, reverberated in his mind. “’Ro, darlin’ I didn’t know that was you.”

She smiled somewhat grimly, “Obviously. No, really, I wasn’t there long. I’d seen enough.”

He stopped her nervous hands from moving the clothes around the dresser drawer, looking at her profile. “You know there’s nothin’ goin’ on there anymore. This mornin’ wouldn’a happened if there was still a ‘Me and Jean’.”

Ororo wanted to believe him, but deep down she was now glad they hadn’t gone any farther that morning at the hotel. This put a whole different spin on her stay here at the mansion; one she wasn’t really comfortable with. “That’s why you were in Hell’s Kitchen. That’s why you didn’t want to talk about why you and Remy had gone there.”

He turned her around to face him, feeling still that he needed to convince her she had nothing to worry about. Logan realized Ororo had some feelings for him, just as he did for her, and he’d be damned if a relationship that was over before he’d even met her was going to fuck this up now. “That’s right. Sometimes ya just need some time away…but that’s not what’s botherin’ ya, darlin’. C’mon, you can tell me.”

She shook her head, not wanting to voice it, but she knew he could tell already what fears she was trying not to express. This new thing they had was so fragile, and though neither of them had placed any expectations on it, she still hoped it would go somewhere. First, though, she had to know… “What happened?”

“Nothin’.” He met her questioning gaze head-on, daring her to find some untruth. “When I heard the crash outside that was it. She left soon after that.” Ororo was quiet. He watched her for a minute before saying, “Do ya believe that?”

She nodded, still looking at the clothes in her hand. It wasn’t that she didn’t believe him, but how was she going to get this treatment she needed from these people, if she couldn’t stand to even look at one of them? She knew every time she saw Jean Grey from then on, she’d see her as she had in Logan’s apartment. She was sure the woman probably didn’t want to hear that they’d had an audience. “Well, this is going to be interesting.”

He shook his head at her thin attempt at levity, rubbing her back reassuringly. Loan hadn’t expected to find himself in this sort of situation, but he knew no matter what, ‘Ro couldn’t get the impression in her head that business wasn’t finished between him and Jean. “I’m glad you can make jokes about this, darlin’. It’s not like I’m stuck in an awkward spot here, right?”

“Well, you are the one who asked.”

He smirked, as she turned then and gave him a light peck on the cheek. His brows rose at that, and he pulled her closer, landing a heavy, languid one on her lips. Afterward, he said simply, “Get used to that.”

As he left her to finish unpacking, Ororo grinned to herself. If he kissed her like that every time, she doubted it would be a problem.


---


At that moment, in the kitchen…
Scott folded the paper neatly, and set it aside as Jean finished clearing the table from breakfast. She chastised Remy and Rogue in her mind, just knowing they’d left the remnants of their respective meals there on purpose knowing how she couldn’t stand an untidy kitchen. “Jean?”

She looked up at him, wiping the table with a damp sponge. “Hm?”

“You’ve been awfully quiet since he came back.”

She shrugged. “Not much to say, I suppose.”

“Well, what do you think about the ‘friend’ he brought with him?” Scott watched her reaction closely.

Without thinking, Jean spouted, “What am I supposed to think? You know Logan as well as I do, Scott. It’s just like him to bring home charity cases when he’s feeling badly about himself. He did it with Jubilee and Remy, after all. It makes him feel more like a hero I guess. Someone’s White Knight, so to speak.”

Continuing to watch her responses, Scott nodded, adding, “And you think that’s all this is? A charity case?”

It was then that Jean stopped the obsessive, sweeping wipes across the counter top, and gave him a caustic glare. “If there’s something on your mind, Scott, I’d prefer you just come out with it.”

He cursed himself, realizing he may have inadvertently broadcast his suspicions too ‘loudly’. “Alright, then. How about this: I can’t believe you’re the only one that was in that room that didn’t notice something was going on between them. For God’s sake, the man looked like her watch dog ready to strike if one of us got too close.”

“So he’s protective. Logan acts the same way around Jubilee, or Kitty…”

“Uh, sweetie, in case you didn’t notice, we’re not talking about a teenage girl, here.” Scott grinned sarcastically, unsure whether she was just being intentionally dense for his sake, or if she really believed that.

“You think Logan and this Ororo woman are together? Please, Scott, let’s not jump to absurd conclusions.” She chided him, turning to place the sponge on the back of the sink.

“You think it’s absurd because I’ve only seen them together for all of five minutes, or because you think Logan’s interests are somewhere else?”

She kept her back to him for a couple seconds when he said that, then turned to give him an icy glare. He stood up, coming around the table to stand against her back, looking down at her with a frighteningly reserved expression. He could feel her mind reach out to his, but he kept the block up. Scott wasn’t about to give her any help there. Quietly, he continued, “Where are they then, Jean? Do you know?”

She kept silent, facing forward stubbornly. She realized exactly what he was getting at, and it was also safe for her to assume he knew about her trip to Hell’s Kitchen. How he’d found that out with her careful planning and well constructed half-truths, innuendoes and blatant lies, was anyone’s guess. Apparently it never occurred to her that Scott wasn’t as naïve and trusting as he seemed, or that Rogue”who’d no doubt wrangled the info from Remy (who had briefly confronted Jean after the fact)”would go directly to him, not passing Go, or collecting $200.

“Well, I’m waiting.”

“Oh, ‘Cuse me…” The two looked up then, as Logan was already backing out of the door.

“Oh, don’t bother, Wolverine, there aren’t any secrets among friends, right?” Scott still looked at Jean, though he backed away from her a step.

He didn’t really care about what he’d walked in on, but Logan wasn’t really in the mood for it. All he’d wanted was a beer, not a peek into the next episode of The Young & the Restless. However, he raised a wiry brow at the reference to them being friends. He knew as well as Scooter that it’d been a long time, indeed, since they’d called one another that. When Charles Xavier had recruited his first two students, they had developed quite the friendship”despite their obvious differences”bordering on a brotherhood. Logan”the older of course”took a young Scotty Summers under his wing, and considered him as close to a sibling as he dared, unable at the time to recall any of his own past. It wasn’t until Jean made three, that the brotherhood had begun to break, as a friendly rivalry morphed into so much more…“Yeah, whatever…”

He side-stepped the two of them, going to the fridge and searching for the bottles he knew he’d left there. Withdrawing one, he popped the cap himself and headed back out the way he’d come. Scott let him get as far as the threshold before he called after him, “I didn’t want to ask in front of the others…”

Logan paused, turning only his head.

“…what kind of help, exactly, are we supposed to be giving this friend of yours? I know you may not think it’s any of my business”and I’m not making any assumptions about Ororo’s integrity”but as Team Leader in Charles’ absence, I feel it’s my responsibility to protect the group. You understand.”

Taking a long swig, Logan nodded briefly, “Yer right. It’s none of yer business”, and continued out the door.

Although Scott wasn’t finished with Jean, he immediately tailed Logan out the door; Wolverine slowed, his shoulders slumping irritably when he heard the footfalls behind him. “Look Logan, considering the kind of trouble you’re probably already going to be in once Charles returns, I wouldn’t be going around with such a cavalier attitude. Especially where the potential safety of the team’s concerned.”

Evaluating the thickness of the beer bottle and whether or not it may be a suitable
weapon for bludgeoning, Wolverine turned slightly to stare him down. He thought on some level this was just Scott’s way of asserting some authority he’d seemingly lost with the whole Viper-thing, but it had been many years since Logan had indulged the man so, and he really wasn’t about to pick that up again. “Yeah, well somethin’ tells me Chuck’ll be just as concerned with why I did what I did to get into that ‘trouble’. Don’t you think?”

Jean came up behind Scott, her eyes playing tennis between the two men. She knew full well Logan wouldn’t think twice before spelling it out to Xavier, and that was something she wouldn’t stand for. She couldn’t have Charles looking down at her. The rest of the team was one thing, but Xavier was completely different. “You two stop it already, okay? God, things aren’t tense enough around here without the two of you feeding the flames??”

Pulling a long gulp from the bottle, Logan nodded then, glaring at her. “Ya know, Jeannie, yer right. So, if’n you’ll excuse me, I’ll letcha get back t’ explainin’ to Scooter where ya think my ‘interests’ are…”

The two gawked at him, as he smirked devilishly and turned, whistling on his way back upstairs. There were times he really enjoyed having the sensitive audio range; it still managed to surprise him sometimes with its usefulness.


Upstairs, in Ororo’s new room…
Having quickly unpacked her few things she’d brought, ‘Ro toured her spacious living quarters briefly, wondering just what kind of man this Charles Xavier was to be able to afford such a place. She couldn’t be sure how many bedrooms were in the Mansion but, she mused, they wouldn’t call it a “mansion” for nothing.

The room itself was quite impressive, though a bit on the confining side for her tastes. It was nothing like the renovated Brownstone she’d called home for several years, which she’d tailored to her own specifications and added more wide windows and a short terrace off of the bedroom. Shaking her head quickly, Ororo wouldn’t let her claustrophobic fears arise. It was silly, anyway, that she seemed to have little to no problem among the patrons of the Xile, with the tight ebbs and flows of dancing bodies, but with the cold concrete, or confining wood of interior spaces…

Knock. Knock.

The light rap on her door mercifully brought Ororo out of that train of thought, and she raked a nervous hand through her still-tussled hair, going to the door. She sighed in some relief to see Logan standing at the threshold. “Can I come in?”

“Of course.” She stepped aside for him, and gave him a bright smile despite the flip in her gut. She couldn’t say for sure it was only her previous thoughts that caused it, or his presence.

Immediately he sensed something was up. “You alright, ‘Ro?”

She gave him a slightly surprised look, then brushed it off. “I’m fine. Just tired, I guess.”

He came up to her, giving what he hoped was a reassuring smile (when was the last time Logan gave anyone one of those? He wasn’t sure himself what it would look like) and reached for her hand. The damp, clammy feeling was all he needed to confirm what his other senses were already screaming to him. “No, yer not. Lemme tell ya somethin, darlin’, you don’t have ta put on the Show fer me. If somethin’s the matter, just come on out with it.”

“How do you seem to know when there’s something on my mind??” she couldn’t help but wonder.

He lightly tapped his nose with his free hand, grinning slightly. “Never lies.”

She smiled, but inwardly couldn’t help but add, ‘Duly noted…’ “Well, it’s just the room…”

“Not to yer fancy? Well, there’re others, but I thought maybe ya’d wanna be closer to me…” he smirked, sliding next to her briefly before continuing, “If ya wanna pick yer own, I won’t take it too badly.”

She appreciated his humor in all of this, but still the smile she gave had a tinge of sadness to it. “That’s good to know.”

“What is it?” he lightly tugged on her hand.

“It’s…I think it’s too small. There aren’t enough windows. I really haven’t been…able to breath right, since I came in. It just gets worse the longer I’m in here, the more I think about it, the smaller it gets. Which I’m trying not to, even now.” She laughed weakly.

His eyes warmed as he looked her over, noting the shallow breathing and nervous movements she was trying so hard to control. When a distant rumble of thunder came to his ears, Logan knew all joking aside, she needed Out of that room. “Come on, then, we’ll find somethin’ else…”


---


After about an hour, touring the different levels of the mansion”all of which seemed exactly the same as her own room”‘Ro and Logan stopped outside one of the Professor’s study rooms on the top floor, resting against the wall.

Logan cracked his back and grunted before chuckling, “Shit, I never realized how many damn rooms this place has. None o’ em looked any good to ya?”

She frowned, shaking her head. “I don’t want to be any trouble, Logan. Why don’t we go back downstairs; I’ll just learn to deal with it. Goodness, I don’t want to be the uptight guest.”

He waved that concern away, and then scratched his wild head in thought. Suddenly he beamed, snapping his fingers and looking up at her. “Hold that thought, ‘Ro. Come on, I got one more place. It should be”“


“”Perfect..!” Ororo sighed in delight, turning 360 degrees several times to get a greater feel of the room’s airiness. It smelled like a grandmother’s hope chest, but she couldn’t have cared less at that moment. Decorating ideas were already floating around her head, but for the moment, all she wanted to do was stand there.

Logan grunted in agreement to his find as well as her reaction. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal to let her stay there; no one used the loft for anything more than another storage room, and he was sure he could just move all the unused boxes of Holiday decorations, folded cardboard boxes and all the rest of the junk somewhere else. If it’d make ‘Ro happy, he thought, he’d move a lot more…

‘Damn, slow down, Casanova…’ he chided himself, wondering where the hell a thought like that came from. All kinds of defensive barriers geared to raise themselves, but he tried to push against the reaction that came when she turned and gave him a smile that spoke volumes of her thanks. It wasn’t ‘Ro’s fault he had the Trust Issues, but if he wasn’t careful she may end up paying for them.

“Logan…” she glanced from him to the high ceiling overhead, the late morning sunlight warming her face through the row of long windows slanted across the dip in the roof’s architecture. It was the east side of the mansion, so of course it made perfect sense to the architects to put a wide wall of windows there to greet the coming dawns. For Ororo, it was perfect. “…thank you…so much. Are you positive no one will mind?”

He shrugged, moving over to a stack of boxes that hid dust-covered French Doors. “I’ll clear it with Chuck, if that’ll make ya feel better, but I doubt there’s anythin’ ta worry ‘bout…” As he picked away at the cubed cardboard coating, he revealed another surprise to her, as she peered through the doors to discover there was an impressive terrace beyond, reminding her so much of Home.

Moving past him, she unlatched the doors, and forced their ancient, unused hinges open, stepping out onto the semi-circle of concrete and wood, breathing the still-cool air of morning and relishing the sunshine on her face. She was so close to the sky, she almost called up a gust of wind to carry her up into the clouds, if Logan’s voice hadn’t interrupted.

“So, I take it ya like this one?”

Turning, she nodded, appearing much younger with her enthusiasm. “When can I move in?”

“No time like the present.”

Continuing to nod, she looked around the room once more as he led the way back down the stairs and back into the mansion proper. Suddenly, the future wasn’t looking all that bad, either.



TBC…
Chapter 12 by Echo
By the Midnight Sun
CHAPTER TWELVE




Xavier Institute, Westchester County…
It’d been almost a week since Logan had returned with Ororo in tow, and gratefully the swarming rumors and speculations had begun to die down. No one had the balls, of course, to come out and directly ask the attractive young woman how she’d met Wolverine or the nature of their relationship, and they certainly had more sense than to inquire it of him. Only Remy and Rogue seemed privy to the back story, but both would feign ignorance in the face of the rest of the group.

As the days passed, Ororo found kindred spirits of sorts in the two rugged love birds; Remy was the perfect club-hopping buddy and source of entertainment when she was down, and Marie had taken her into the city on a couple of occasions to help pick out decorating ideas for the Loft. She could easily see why Logan associated with them, and felt somewhat safe in letting her guard down among them.

As for her blossoming relationship with the man himself, Ororo was unsure how much she could get away with, considering they seemed under constant”however non-verbalized”scrutiny from so many different directions. For instance, only the next day after her arrival, she’d been in the kitchen with Logan sharing a pan of scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage he’d fixed for her, simply enjoying his company, when Scott had come in for a glass of orange juice, and given her the most uncomfortable look. She was sure the glance had a caption to go with it, but he said nothing. Wolverine either didn’t note it (which seemed impossible) or chose to ignore it, continuing to joke about how she owed him lunch after he’d proven he could cook. Then, when she’d met with Henry for the first time later that same afternoon, she was surprised to walk into the Med-Lab and see Jean sitting there, as if waiting for her. The woman obviously felt no shame, giving ‘Ro a thorough once-over thinly veiled as a welcome. The attempt at small talk went badly, but soon Jean took the hint (for the moment, Ororo suspected…) and left her alone with Hank, claiming she had work to do. Then there were the younger students, who she imagined didn’t have much else to do other than gossip about the trials and tribulations of their older “more mature” counterparts. She got looks in the halls, could sense the whispered comments behind her back, but did her best Logan impression to let it all roll off her back. Having thought Rogue’s analogy to a Reality television show a bit of an exaggeration, Ororo now reconsidered that thought…


******



“How are we this morning, Ororo?” Hank smiled at her as she came through the doors to the Med-Lab, perched on a stool at one of the counters.

Rubbing her eyes, ‘Ro yawned behind her hand, looking around for any unwanted visitors. Seeing none, she responded, “I could be better, to be honest with you…”

He turned, and indicated another seat, adjusting his specs. Picking up a clipboard and a pen, he started the micro voice-recorder he’d used for their sessions and asked, “Please, continue.”

She sat gingerly, obviously uncomfortable with disclosing so much of her private life to someone she barely knew. Of course, the gentle doctor had made every effort to give her some comfort or peace of mind during their consults so far, but Ororo still felt the overwhelming sterility of the situation. Meeting with Hank wasn’t like the midnight talks she’d now come to expect each night with Logan, who could hold her hand, and give her the sort of emotional reassurance she needed with just his presence alone.

Sighing heavily, she looked at her hands momentarily, and then ran one of them through her hair, which was still growing out. “The Dreams are getting worse.”

Hank made a notation on his clipboard, nodding. “How often, now?”

“Every night. Last night, twice. I didn’t get to sleep without waking until around a quarter till five.” She rubbed her red-rimmed eyes as if in point.

Hank turned back to the console behind him, grabbing the blood-pressure monitor and turned back to her. “And you’ve stated before, these intense dreams seem to precipitate the Hunger for Blood?”

She nodded, sliding closer on the stool so he could wrap her arm with the device. “Yes. Although, for several years, I didn’t have them at all…”

“While you were on the Medication your friend gave you.” He pumped the small ball on the end of the hose, watching the gauge on the monitor.

“Right. But before that, it was the same. I could Feed and be alright for a few days, maybe up to a week and a half, then it started all over again. Actually, this is the longest I’ve gone before the dreams came back.”

He took the monitor off then began taking notes, so intent in his process he wasn’t looking at her. “And was there anything irregular about this last instance, if you can pinpoint something specific?”

She hesitated a moment before saying quietly, “The last time I Fed, the blood was from Logan.”

That got the pen to stop. “Oh. I see.”



That night at the Xile…
As music streamed through the expensive sound system and the DJ moved to the beat along with the dancers, Forge sat in Ororo’s office, closed off from the almost celebratory atmosphere that marked the opening of the club each night. He didn’t have time for the sort of nonsense his employees enjoyed at Xile, such as the dance and drinking contests, the shameless “meat-market” that evolved from them both, nor the “most useless powers” competition that occasionally arose among the guests. He was a man on a mission, and this time he would not be distracted.

“Come on, Ororo…I know it’s got to be here, somewhere…” he spoke under his breath, going through the contents of her desk like the thief he was. Forge wasn’t exactly sure what he was looking for, but he knew it had to be somewhere in this office. It’d been days since she’d left and he’d managed to let Logan slip from his grasp. When he realized the X-Man hadn’t returned looking for the club owner, it didn’t take Forge too terribly long to surmise that he must have found her. Now, he was really kicking himself at allowing Logan’s escape. It had originally been his plan to keep tabs on the elusive X-Man via Ororo, but when he’d picked up on their mutual attraction for one another, Forge had let his stupid, personal feelings get in the way of the bigger plan.

‘That won’t happen again…’ his brow furrowed, promising to himself as he turned away from the drawers and his eyes settled on the silent iMac centered on the desk. He thought about it for a moment, then shook his head, knowing Ororo better than to leave anything secretive on her office computer. But the laptop resting in the corner…

Even though his pulse raced with the anticipation of discovery, Forge was soon disappointed when he realized she hadn’t used the machine in weeks. Stumped, he leaned back in the comfortable chair, his fist resting against his chin, thinking. He knew the Xavier Institute was upstate, located in Salem Center, but how to get close enough to set his plan into motion without being caught? That was supposed to have been Ororo’s part in the Plan. Now she was gone, presumably to get herself “fixed”. He sneered at the thought, just a little hurt that she seemingly abandoned him after one little ‘mistake’.

Scolding himself, Forge had to admit, if only to himself (and never aloud) that he’d screwed up his Plans to get back into the Wolfe Pack. After so much careful planning, it was his own human emotions that had betrayed him, proving once again that the flesh could not be trusted.

Suddenly he perked up, as that thought ran through his mind again. ‘No, it can’t be trusted, can it?’ With a grin brighter than the Cheshire Cat, he pushed away from the desk, leaving everything in the disorder he’d found it in, and quietly left the office.

Outside at the bar, Angela tried not to appear too flustered with the New Hires, as they tried their level bests not to drop anymore beer mugs or martini glasses. She thought it wouldn’t be too difficult to train temporary replacements for her while she assumed more responsibility in the club, but after a few days of “oops”s, “shit!”s and “does that come out of my tips?” she was near to tearing her hair out and firing them all.

“’Kay, now Paige, take ye time…don’ pour too quickly, or it’ll bubble up ev’rywhere.” She held her breath as the young girl, questionably legal to be pouring drinks, stuck her tongue out between pursed lips in concentration at the task of concocting one of the Xile’s signature”and most difficult”specialty drinks. Across the counter from them, one of the patrons, waiting patiently for his drink, couldn’t help but grin devilishly, enjoying the suspense.

“Ah think ah got it, Miss Jacks…Ah think ah got”!“ her tone of proud excitement quickly turned to one of dread, as she realized the slight hop she’d done in happiness had jostled the clear plastic practice-cup, and now the contents were on their way back up. “Ah, Shhheeee--!!”

The other two Newbies ducked quickly, and the patron followed suit with no question, as the tall cup began to tremble in her hands. Angela reached for it, thinking only that she didn’t want to have to scrub the dark blue liquid out of the floors or her hair again. “Shite, give it ‘ere, girl!”

Panicking, Paige let go of the cup before Angela had a firm grip on it, and they all gasped, watching in slow motion as the glass fell toward the floor. ‘That’s it, dammit, I quit…’ was Angela’s only thought.

A swish of air rushed by them, then two of the Newbies sighed, clapping suddenly as Ryan, one of the fast-paced servers, slid underneath it and caught the glass by the base, laying flat on his stomach against the floor. The surrounding audience whooped and clapped, and Ryan looked up at Angela, grinning proudly and winking at her. “MaybeIshouldhangaroundmoreoften,atleastduringtrainings,eh?”

They all chuckled, but as Angela reached down for the cup, it suddenly snapped, crackled and popped, erupting vertically from the jostled base, spaying her full in the face. Leaning back up, she didn’t say a word, as Paige hid her head shamefully, and Ryan sat back on his haunches, licking the sweet liquid of the Blue Cyclone off his face.

“What the Hell is going on here??”

Turning, they all saw Forge standing not too far away, his hands firmly on his hips and his expression of the type that saw employees”New Hires and otherwise”out the door. Stalking up to the wet counter, he leaned over to see Ryan still holding the ruined plastic cup, and Angela leaning against the far side of the bar, reaching blindly for a towel, which Paige gratefully provided. “Not’ins the mat’tah, Mr. Forge, just a lit’l spill. Paige, Sam, get the mops, f’God’s sake!”

The Newbies went scurrying, and the patron laughed a boisterous sound, flipping a couple twenties on the wet counter. As Forge came past him, the man said jovially, “Shit, partner, skip the drink; it was just worth the Show!”

As the man left toward the lower dance floor levels, Forge gave him a look of disdain, but then turned back to Angela and Ryan. His look was of course unsympathetic. “Well, at least they are willing to pay to see you all make complete idiots of yourselves.”

Angela sighed, feeling her pressure rise. Ever since Ororo had left, she’d had to deal with Forge’s sour attitude, and frankly, she was tired of it. She realized he must be stressed out about Ororo as much as she was, but she knew she didn’t deserve that sort of abuse, and especially not from him. “Ye know, if’n ye ain’t gonne help me train these roughnecks, I’da ‘preciate it if’n ye shut yer yap.”

Ryan’s eyes bulged at the unapologetic tone she waved before Forge’s face, and when he looked up at the GM knew it was time to make his own exit. “Uh…I’llcallthemantinenceguystocomehelpcleanup…”

As she let the sopping wet towel fall to the counter, their eyes met, and Forge could see she’d about had enough of him for one night, possibly more. Motioning her around the counter, he took her arm firmly, and led her back into Ororo’s office. “We need to talk.”

Barely succumbing, Angela didn’t want to make too much of a scene before customers or employees, so she quietly followed, her eyes shooting daggers across at him the whole time. When they were within the sanctity of the office, Forge closed the door soundly and turned to her. “Look, if you can’t handle the job, I’m sure Ororo will understand if we get someone else to Supervise the crews.”

Crossing her arms, Angela peered at him with malice. “Like I said, Forge, if’n ye wanne trade spots, I’ll gladly take over the job o’ sittin’ on me arse, lookin’ constipated.”

He couldn’t help but laugh inwardly, feeling her near her breaking point. Unknown to Angela, Forge had suddenly included her in his Revised Plan, and all this was just his way of playing with her. After all, there was something very satisfying about being able to manipulate people. “Oh, we’ve graduated to insubordination, have we?”

Yanking her apron off, Angela tossed it at him. “Fuck you, ye Bastard!”

He caught the cloth, his eyes wide with the surprise she’d managed to give him. So, the little Aussie-Scot was more like a young Ororo than he’d thought. That would without a doubt make it even easier to use her; being able to anticipate her actions. ‘All in good time, Angel…’

Watching his slightly amused expression, Angela suddenly burst into angry tears, swiping at the papers littering ‘Ro’s desk. Forge came up to her, very calculating, and threw some believable apologies her way. “Hey, hey I’m…sorry. I’m just under a lot of stress, with Ororo gone, the club’s finances could be better, and I don’t know how to get in contact with her, let her know what’s going on…Still, that’s no reason to take it out on you, Angela. I’m sorry.”

Wiping angrily at her face, Angela looked up at him at the mention of Ororo. “What? Is the club in trouble?? ‘Roro has to know, if’n it ‘tis.”

He shrugged, watching her expression very carefully. “I know that. But since she’s left, Ororo hasn’t called me once. I don’t know if she’s alright, if she needs help, or whatever. It’s just frustrating, not being able to help her, or even know that she’s being helped. Sometimes I feel like just jumping in my car and riding up to Westchester myself…”

She looked up at him then, the gears turning behind her shining grey eyes. “That’s where Mr. Logan took ‘er?? Te Westchester?”

Forge did his best to appear in the Know, all the while inwardly cheering his duplicity working. Shrugging a single shoulder, he said, “Yeah, I suppose. I know that’s where the X-Men are headquartered, at some so-called ‘School’ up there.”

Angela fed this into her own limited pool of knowledge concerning Ororo and her attempt to get help for an illness as yet ‘unknown’. “Ye sound like ye don’ trust these people, Forge.”

He gave just the proper amount of hesitation and then shrugged again. “To tell you the truth, Angela, I don’t know them well enough to say that. But I can tell you, if the government considers these people a possible threat”which it does”that’s enough to raise anyone’s brow. Besides, what if Ororo gets caught up in some of their illegal business of ‘saving people’? Who knows what may happen to her…”

The startled look on Angela’s face was enough to almost break him out of the “concerned” character role, but Forge held his elation in check, watching her. She seemed genuinely worried for their friend, twisting her hands, eyes darting back and forth across the room.

Angela wasn’t sure at all what to make of Forge’s accusations against the X-Men. She knew only what Ororo had told her, and what the media made of the Team of super-powered mutants. She’d thought she could trust Ororo to know who would help her and who wouldn’t, but could it be possible that even Ororo had no idea who these people really were that she was dealing with? Or worse, could they have targeted her specifically, for some unknown purpose?? “What’re we gonne do, Forge? We canne let anythin’ ‘appen te ‘Roro! She was so des’pret te get help, I hope she does’ne get herself hurt..!”

Forge watched the young woman agonize over all of this, turning away from him and sniffling quietly. She mumbled something he couldn’t hear, shaking her head. “What?”

Turning to him, her eyes glistening, she repeated, “It’s all me own fault, Forge! It’s my fault if ‘Roro’s in trouble!”

He slid up next to her, snaking an arm around her quaking shoulders, patting her gently. “Shh…shh…Tell me what happened…”


******


Later that same night, Salem Center…
The halls of the Xavier Institute were quiet, as most of its residents had turned in for the night. The moon shone brightly in the clear night, reflecting a silver light on the darkened windows of the impressive mansion.

On the lower levels, silent footsteps stepped lightly toward the Med-Lab’s security-locked doors. The figure stopped briefly, using an entrance code not their own, and quickly stole inside the dimly lit room. The medical instruments that Henry McCoy used were all neatly resting in their respective places, and only a few lights flickered on the control panels of the consoles. The adjacent doors to the examination and triage rooms were closed of course, but that didn’t matter, as they were not the target here.

Quiet as ever, the intruder slid over to the good doctor’s favorite desk, knowing the area quite well. Delicate, manicured hands came up in the air, and the drawers of the desk slid open quietly. Objects began to shift, then float up out of the depths of the drawer; empty notepads, pens and pencils, other office supplies. Lastly, they all moved aside, stationary in the air, as one of the last items to escape floated past”the doctor’s micro voice-recorder. The other items went to rest back in the drawer, just as they’d rested before being disturbed, but the recorder came toward the figure, stopping about eye level.

With a barely perceptible sigh of disappointment, the intruder realized the device was empty. There hadn’t been any memory chips in the drawer, so it was assumed McCoy didn’t keep them in the Lab. Knowing him, he probably stashed them in his room to work after leaving the Lab. ‘Just my luck.’

Somewhat disappointed, the Intruder retreated back toward the entrance, but suddenly stopped shy of the doors, as a yellow legal pad caught the eye. It was laying by itself on one of the examination tables, where two stools had been drawn up. Nearing the end of the 100pg tablet, it looked as though some had recently been torn out if the ragged remnants of the top of a page were any indication. Coming closer, the Intruder gestured toward the pamphlet and it came obediently. Upon closer inspection, the scribbled notes of Hank McCoy were visible”just barely more than two sentences. Evidently he’d forgotten to tear this last sheet out along with the others:


“…needed to further assess a possible cure for the patient’s prognosis, although preliminary questioning and assessments lead me to believe that James Howlett’s involvement may prove in the long term to be of the most significance. An appointment with both Patient Munroe and J. Howlett has been set.

*Note To Self: Acquire blood samples from both for furthering comparative testing…”



The Intruder paused at this, unsure what assumptions to draw. Her green eyes narrowed in the dim light of the closed Med-Lab, as she re-read the short partial notation. It raised more questions than answered, of course, but still she committed the brief entry to memory. ‘What has Logan got to do with this?’ she wondered, glancing over her shoulder briefly to focus her telepathy outside the door, making sure she wasn’t about to get any unexpected visitors. ‘And just what is this Ororo hiding?’

As the pamphlet was settled back onto the shiny table, her footsteps receded, heading back toward the door as silently as she’d entered…


******



Outside the mansion, not too far away on the grounds, Logan moved about the quiet woods just to the edge of the Institute’s north boundary. He’d been out there for quite some time now, as he usually did this late at night to clear his thoughts and have some time to himself.

It had been an interesting few days since he’d returned with Ororo, but he was relieved to see she was making genuine attempts to make her stay there worthwhile, and as hassle-free as possible. He knew it hadn’t been easy once she’d discovered his ex-girlfriend was staying there”not to mention a member of the team”but all in all she seemed to take that at face value, and didn’t seem in the least intimidated by Jean’s presence. Not that he thought she would be. Doctor Grey was another story entirely. Logan had been forced on at least two separate occasions to thwart Jean’s non-too subtle attempts to glean info out of him about Ororo’s ‘illness’ and the extent of their relationship. Her “concern” (if he could get away with calling it that) confused and irritated him; Logan knew she and Scooter were a definite couple, and he’d thought he had made his feelings quite clear when she’d pulled that stunt coming to the Hell’s Kitchen apartment, but still Jean felt the compelling need to dictate certain aspects of his life. He couldn’t be sure if it was just her unwillingness to see him with another woman, or if there was something deeper going on with her, and honestly he didn’t care.

Sighing, he ruffled his hair, depressed at the realization that he wished Charles would come back. It wasn’t that he thought he needed the Professor, but he knew the calming influence would probably keep him from seriously considering decapitating a few students (older and younger alike).

As he passed a thick lock of trees near the wide lake behind the mansion, his thoughts turned to the object of everyone’s curiosity. He had to admit that it wasn’t entirely their own faults; the woman just seemed to radiate intrigue and mystery, even though she’d be the last person to admit it (much less realize it). She was a lot like him in that respect”no doubt a contributing factor to their mutual attraction to one another. And what an attraction it was. Away from the rest of the team, they couldn’t seem to keep their hands off of each other, though both had maintained from the very beginning that it would be best to take things slowly. Logan wouldn’t dare think of breaking that clause”at least, not yet”because the attempt alone only made his attraction for her all the stronger, the anticipation that much sweeter. It was an unusual game the two played with their emotions, but it served a dual purpose; other than making them both hot for one another, it gave them necessary opportunities to get to really get to know each other better. Logan and Ororo would often find themselves sitting out in the night air of the terrace outside the Loft she’d made a perfect room out of. Most of the time, he’d just sit there, smoking his cigar in peace, listening to her day (which consisted mostly of a gamut of tests and psychoanalyses by Hank) and her thoughts about being there. She didn’t seem to mind that he often said little, seemingly understanding that all he wanted was her physical presence, and to listen.

The nights on the terrace were what he began to look forward to every other night, but this night she’d complained of being too tired after an especially grueling day of tests courtesy of their Head resident physician (who had even more planned in the morning), so he’d let her retire early, choosing instead to take to the grounds for some time alone. Now, Logan moved through the thick underbrush with a stealth only he could manage, walking without a destination. His nose twitched suddenly, though, and he paused in his tracks. Taking several deep breaths, he recognized Ororo’s scent, but didn’t see her nearby; for a moment he wondered if it wasn’t just his mind playing tricks on him, thinking of her, but then a cool breeze rushed by him and the leaves, and it brought the scent again. He knew he couldn’t be imagining it twice, so he crouched down low, a devilish twinkle in his eyes, and crept along the trees, heading toward the lake, and the scent.


******



With lazy, deliberate strokes, Ororo moved through the night-cooled water of the lake behind the Institute, taking the laps like a seasoned veteran. She’d been there for over 90 minutes, just swimming and enjoying the quiet beauty of the area. Having spotted the locale some days ago (courtesy of Marie, who’d given her a short, impromptu overview of the grounds), she knew even then that it’d be only a matter of time before she found herself immersed in the depths of that pond.

Pausing in a spot roughly the middle of the lake, she waded for several moments, as a stiff breeze waved the immediate area, then concentrated on her. The waves began to lap up against her bare shoulders, as the water below churned upward, pushing her out of the lake. As the water spout she’d generated rose, ‘Ro lifted her arms like a child on a roller coaster ride, a grin of pure enjoyment on her face. As the ride neared its climax some fifty feet in the air, she turned the wind down with a thought, and felt the immediate pull of gravity back to the lake. Arching her back, she welcomed the free fall as it blew against her face, through her hair, over her exposed body. The midnight escapades she knew in the city were nothing compared to this”the feeling of total freedom and the added pleasure of the calming water released the tight muscles of her neck and back, bringing a smile to her face.

The splash down was loud and water sprayed everywhere with the impact. After several moments, she broke free of the surface, shaking her soaking white locks out of her eyes, and wiping the water away. Treading for a few seconds, she contemplated going ashore for her clothes to return to the quiet, darkened manor before anyone could have the chance to notice her missing, as what she thought were the remnants of her water spout rushed against her feet…

The wet hairs on her neck struggled to rise, as she felt a sudden chill over her body. Looking around, Ororo gasped as the water only a couple feet before her began to churn. “Shit..!”

As he emerged from the water, wiping his eyes, Logan grinned at her devilishly, and received another face full of H²O as she splashed a wave toward him. “You should be more careful, darlin’; it’s dangerous out here in the dark…”

She only “tsk”ed at that, grinning at him. “Only with you here…” An eyebrow raised; she watched him quickly tread beneath the waves. “What’s the matter? Been awhile since your last swim?”

Chuckling, he drifted a little closer, still treading like mad. “If you had an extra ‘few’ pounds o’ adamantium weighin’ ya down, you’d be treadin’ like hell, too.”

“Ah…” she nodded, evidently remembering the edited story he’d given her about the unusual substance covering his skeleton.

Logan’s eyes widened as he felt a sudden rush of water beneath him, then realized she was pushing air below them, forming a sort of bubble. He let his feet come to rest on nothingness, feeling the gusts sustain him from sinking but curiously neglecting to drag him under.

Through the wind that whipped around them, she smiled at him, calling out, “Is that better?”

Pushing his weight in her direction, Logan was rewarded with movement, gliding close enough to wrap his arms around her. Their bodies had almost dried in the sudden wind gust, and both looked as though they’d been attacked by a mad hair stylist. The sight of his even wilder mane made ‘Ro giggle uncharacteristically, as she wrapped her arms about his neck, welcoming the inevitable kiss. Logan grinned up at her, squeezing her bare waist. “Much.”

She didn’t have time to nod her own approval as he captured her lips in an almost desperate kiss; not like the tentative, reassuring one from the hotel. Here, he seemed to be asking something; laying a question out there in the air between them (which wasn’t much space) that needed an answer, and an immediate one, at that.



“Oh…
Pretty baby
This feeling I just can’t hide
You got me mystified

Oh…
Pretty darlin’
This feeling is deep inside
You got me mystified…”




Gripping the dark tendrils of hair behind his head, Ororo pushed closer to his bare chest. The touch of his fingers at the middle of her back, searching for the clasp of her still damp Victoria’s Secret bra, tickled her a little, and she struggled to keep from giggling out of the kiss. As the small metal clamps moved to his bidding, she became acutely aware of the fact that he was completely naked, as his penis gave a soft but urgent push against her thigh. Her own body yearned to be noticed as well, though (slightly) protected from view by the Diamanté satin V-string. She sighed against him as the turmoil in her gut began to sink lower; it was a feeling she hadn’t been familiar with in quite some time, but in the weeks she’d come to know Logan had increased dramatically. Somewhere in the back (way, way in the back) of her mind, ‘Ro wondered just how much longer the two could go on with this whole “let’s wait awhile” thing.

When Logan’s lips suddenly parted from hers, and his head dipped to one side as he took one soft, coffee-colored nipple between his teeth delicately, rolling his tongue across the tip, she knew the answer to that immediately.

He couldn’t help but smile, still holding her back with one hand, her right ass cheek with the other, and her breast in his mouth, as Logan heard her moans above the curiously dying winds…



“The light that shines around you
It blinds my eyes
There’s a magic surrounds you
Tell me where your secret lies

Oh…
Pretty darlin’
This feeling is deep inside
You got me mystified

Oh…
Pretty baby
This feeling I just can’t hide
You got me mystified

You got me mystified
Mystified…”




Initially, neither one seemed to notice that the winds no longer rushed through their hair, and so deep in the seductive foreplay even the sounds and feel of droplets of cool lake water against their burning flesh didn’t immediately inspire concern. That is, until Logan ran his hot tongue across the valley of her cleavage, fully breaking Ororo’s concentration, and the water waiting just outside their protective “bubble” swiftly rushed them, its polarized coolness to their heated bodies nearly shocking the lust out of them.

Several minutes later, once they’d dragged their soaking wet and slightly chilly bodies out of the lake, Logan and Ororo collapsed along the cool grass of the shore, chuckling. He shook his body all over quickly and only laughed harder when she objected to being sprayed again. “Hey, don’t complain. This’s yer fault, anyway!”

She picked up his shirt, which lay on the ground between them, and rolled it into a perfect whip, swinging it his way. Logan was just quick enough to roll his ass out of the way before the cloth cracked against the air near him. ‘Ro giggled again, rolling the shirt for another shot. “Oh, really? I wasn’t the one nibbling on ‘titties’, breaking people’s concentration…Come here!”

As she stepped near him for another strike, and the rolled up shirt snaked out into the air, Logan’s quick reflexes caught it, winding it around one fist, and yanking her to him before she could think to let it go. The two tumbled to the soft grass, playfully fighting for his shirt. Once ‘Ro made the mistake of allowing him to roll on top of her, she knew it would be nearly impossible to get the upper hand again, and lay motionless beneath his still damp body as Logan smiled in some pride at his ‘conquest’. “Now was that a complaint? Ya seemed t’ enjoy it before…meybe we need to get a second opinion…” he trailed off, his head suddenly angling toward the other as-yet unmolested breast.

‘Ro let him get as far as breaking eye contact before she smirked devilishly, calling up a quick gust of Cold air that blew him over her head and landing him (not too gently) in the bushes beyond.

When his head popped up from the underbrush, full of twigs and leaves and spitting acorns, she rolled over, holding her middle from laughter.

When he dusted himself off, all the while giving her a playfully dirty glare and pseudo-threats, Logan came to sit beside her on the grass, their laughter calming a bit.

She reached up and tousled his wild hair, loosening a few rogue pieces of twigs and an acorn, as he leaned one elbow against the ground, grinning up at her. Ororo wasn’t in the least surprised at his lack of modesty, as he laid there completely naked. Usually, she wouldn’t be that concerned either, if not for the fact that she wanted him so badly, and realized her body could only go so far before showing it. Clearing her throat, she unwound Logan’s shirt, pulling it over her damp head. It wasn’t so much because she was cold (because she wasn’t) but as a sort of physical reminder that they weren’t supposed to be in these kinds of situations with each other. The less sexual she felt, the more she thought she could ignore the muscular, attractive man beside her. Yeah, good luck.

Logan turned on his back, lacing his hands beneath his head and staring up at the clear night. Of course he could sense her reservation, but it didn’t upset him. It was the ‘answer’ to his previous question, and one he could deal with, for the moment. It still didn’t mean he had to make it any easier for her. “I thought ya were upstairs, sleepin’. ‘Didn’t even know ya knew ‘bout this place.”

She ran her hands through her hair, which was just barely long enough to brush the nape of her neck; it was sort of pointless to try to smooth it into submission, but she tried anyway. “I was. For awhile. But around 11:00 I just couldn’t get back to sleep.”

Only his eyes moved to her, as he said simply, “Those dreams again?”

She nodded wordlessly, swallowing hard. Even the barest mention of them was enough for her to get a chill. After several seconds, she looked up to see him watching her quietly. Hugging herself beneath the large shirt, she went on. “Henry seems to think that your blood, in particular, has helped to stave off the worst of the withdrawal symptoms I usually have. He wants to run some tests on you, too, if you don’t mind.”

His eyes back to the sky, Logan only whispered, “I’ll do what I have ta’.”

She smiled a little, unable to express her thanks, considering that she’d picked up enough about him from Remy and Marie to know that the man definitely did not like anything in the remote association to Laboratories and physicals. She was still unclear as to exactly what it was that had made him so, but felt uncomfortable in asking. “Really? You don’t mind?”

“Why would I?” Those grey eyes pinned her again.

“Well…I…I understand you kind of have a thing about Labs and doctors. I mean, I suppose you’re probably okay around Henry…” She picked at the grass before her.

Eyes back skyward, he sighed, “’Ro, don’t bother yerself with what I’m feelin’ ‘bout shit like that. If Hank thinks this’ll help ya, then I’m there. That’s all to it.”

She nodded, feeling that she’d barely skirted a possible landmine. All she could do was believe him, though there was a part of her that still felt uneasy of the situation. Biting her lip, she rolled over a few times until she was right next to him, and leaned over close to his face. They stared at each other for a few moments, then she whispered, “Thank you”, kissing his lips, deepening it momentarily before pulling away.

He reached up and smoothed her hair out of her face, stroking the locks as they maintained eye contact. He could just barely sense the turmoil behind those often haunted blue eyes, and suspected that she was”once again”hiding her true pain for his sake. Neither had opened the discussion of whether or not she’d need to feed on him again, and Logan was willing to bet she’d probably near kill herself than ask that of him twice.

Ororo’s eyes fell away from his, as she rested her head against his shoulder, and took his hand in hers, squeezing tightly. She closed her eyes when he reached over to kiss her forehead lightly, secure in his closeness. After several minutes, her eyes struggled to stay open as she listened to the hypnotic ‘purr’ deep in his chest, slowly stroking his neck and shoulder. Logan soon found himself also near sleep, and pushed her away from him, settling into a spoon against her back. Holding her close to him, he buried his nose in her hair, as the two gave in to sleep.




TBC…
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=1548