Consolation Prizes by OriginalCeenote
Summary: Disclaimer: Storm, Yukio and Wolverine are property of Marvel. Too bad… Ororo hasn’t been feeling quite like herself. Yukio thinks she has the perfect remedy, but Logan, in the wake of his aborted wedding, tries to take a more sensible approach. Set in Uncanny universe, based on issue 173-174, and Unlimited X-Men Storm story “Rebirth”. Off-canon.
Categories: NC-17 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 36697 Read: 17078 Published: 05-16-06 Updated: 06-07-06

1. Where Problems Melt Like Lemon Drops... by OriginalCeenote

2. …Away Above the Chimney Tops by OriginalCeenote

3. That’s Where You’ll Find Me by OriginalCeenote

4. If I Only Had a Heart by OriginalCeenote

5. Yellow Brick Road by OriginalCeenote

6. If I Only Had the Nerve by OriginalCeenote

Where Problems Melt Like Lemon Drops... by OriginalCeenote
“I can’t believe I let you talk me into this.”

“I just made the suggestion, Wind-Rider. You took it without any pressure from me. Go ahead and act like I forced you, if it makes you feel any better. Besides, that new look of yours is just begging to be shown off.”

Ororo sighed, realizing it was going to be a long night. She allowed her slender, impishly pretty companion drag her down the crowded sidewalk to stand in line. The stars winked down at them from the indigo sky, and an errant breeze made Yukio shrug more deeply into her cropped leather jacket.

The street was as busy as you’d expect it to be on a Friday night, well after rush hour. Ororo drank in the sounds and sights of the crowded block, marveling at the swelling, reveling mass of club hoppers as she mused that this was somewhat, but not entirely different from the nightclubs she had frequented in Manhattan with Jean. She sighed as she remembered with a pang the evenings that the two of them had sipped wine and chatted in the dark corners of cozy taverns or Harry’s Hideaway, listening to sultry jazz and sweet soul.

Jean had laughed at Ororo’s losing battle with her striking looks whenever she wore a scarf or snood with dark glasses to cover her snowy hair and compelling blue eyes. “No sense in trying to blend in with the wallpaper, sweetie,” she’d giggled, sipping her chardonnay. “Just enjoy the attention, for once. We’re off duty, we’re allowed to show off a little and play once in a while.”

“I’ve almost forgotten how,” Ororo murmured, returning Jean’s gentle smile. Both women gave their attention to the stage and the voluptuous female singer who took the microphone and wailed an almost mournful, poignant rendition of a Teena Marie song that Ororo loved that made the hairs on her neck stand on end. A faint hint of tobacco, random scents of perfume, and the aromas of various kinds of alcohol mingled, tickling Ororo’s nose as she watched a handful of couples make their way onto the dance floor, stretching the definition of “slow dancing” to include the casual grope or caress. Her attention was yanked away by the sound of Jean’s voice, politely but firmly stating “No thank you, I’m engaged; I won’t be dancing tonight. Sorry about that.” Ororo was nearly oblivious to it, ignoring the sound of Jean’s rejection, since they were generally frequent when they went out.

Until she found herself eye-to-waistband with Jean’s would-be dance companion as he shifted himself, moving directly into Ororo’s line of vision.

“How about you, pretty lady?” Ororo’s eyes traveled up to his face from behind her glasses. He was passably handsome, clad in a button-down dress shirt that was open at the collar and tucked into dark slacks with a sharp crease. He had keyboard straight teeth and laughing dark eyes, but he reeked of cologne, and his hair was unfortunately styled in a Jheri curl that reminded Ororo of the piles of damp seaweed that lay in untidy clumps along the shoreline at Martha’s Vineyard when she and Jean had driven to the Cape for a well-deserved break. “Are you available? Care to dance?”

Something proud and defiant stiffened Ororo’s spine. “No, thank you. But thank you for asking.”

“I can’t change your mind?” He nodded at her half-empty glass. “Buy you a drink?”

Again, Ororo felt a tiny surge of annoyance. Jean stifled the smile curling the corner of her lightly glossed pink lips. Bristling, she raised her voice a slight notch and pronounced “No thank you, sir. I have what I need, right here,” and she saluted him with her glass.

“Maybe I can help you with what you need…?”

“I doubt that.” Ororo’s voice flattened, leaving no margin for misinterpretation, and her whole body tensed when he attempted to take her free hand.

“Suit yourself, babe.” His smile vanished, replaced with a disdainful sneer. Ororo’s hand itched to toss the remainder of her wineglass at his retreating back. She felt Jean’s light mind touch and heard her soothing tone whispering in her thoughts.

“I don’t blame you. He seemed like an ass.”

“It wasn’t just that. He made me feel…”

“…nauseous?”


Ororo chuckled under her breath. “Just…irked. It’s hard to describe, but…he came here and asked you to dance.”

“And I told him I wasn’t interested…?”

“Yes, pretty clearly, which he accepted without any problems when you said you had someone else.”
Ororo sighed heavily, taking another sip of her sauvignon blanc. “My ego’s more fragile than I like to admit. Forgive me, sister, but I hate playing second fiddle.”

“ORORO! You’ve got to be kidding? Is that what you think?”

“Yes. I do,”
Ororo admitted without shame, or hesitation. “If he was really interested in asking me to dance…maybe he would have asked me first.”

“I never thought you would have had it in you, kiddo.”
Jean shook her head in wonder, and didn’t bother to suppress her grin.

“What?” Ororo let her dark glasses slip a centimeter or two past the bridge of her nose to shoot Jean a curious, heavy glance.

“You didn’t really like him,” Jean pointed out.

“No. Ick!” Jean giggled into her wine.

“That’s what I thought. But you’re mad that he didn’t ask you to dance first, instead of me.”

“Exactly.”
It was her prerogative, Ororo decided. Her irritation was justified, her tone matter-of-fact.

“God, you’re a little pill, aren’t you?” Jean loved her for it. She waved the waitress over to refill their drinks and paid for the next round.

“I don’t want to settle for being anyone’s consolation prize.” Even if it occasionally got lonely. Being a goddess in her native land had elevated her standards. Jean thought of Scott and the boundless love that she felt in his thoughts and saw in his eyes “ what she could see of them behind his visor “ and shivered deliciously.

“Then you shouldn’t, sweetie. Not one bit.”


Now, Ororo’s eyes wandered through the crowd, noticing that several pairs of eyes were staring back at her at random, assessing her with interest. Yukio’s smile teased her before she stared back at the onlookers suggesting “Take a picture, it’ll last longer!” in a tone that was utterly saucy and without shame.

“Maybe this is a bit…much.”

“Like hell. You’re a knockout. I don’t see anyone complaining, Wind-Rider.” Ororo felt a funny tingle of mischief darting through her stomach as Yukio threaded her slender arm through hers. Yukio’s light, spicy perfume tickled her nose as she leaned in, whispering into Ororo’s ear, “No more reserved wallflower tonight. You’re going to have fun. Or you answer to me. Don’t make me jump off another building to get a rise out of you, Storm.”

“Don’t you dare,” she hissed, urging her lips to smile as nonchalantly as possible at the gawkers who gradually, easily parted to allow them to cut a few spaces in line. The press of bodies began to surround them, and Ororo felt that familiar chill of apprehension. Too close. Too much commotion. Her claustrophobia reared its head and begged for an open space. The wind picked up, ruffling Yukio’s carefully gelled hair, which she hadn’t thought possible before they finished their grooming rituals at her tiny apartment.

“Ororo? You all right?”

“It’s a bit…crowded.” Ororo smiled weakly at two women that chattered admiringly at her in Japanese as one of them fingered her black vest of supple leather. She didn’t pause to translate their words amidst her discomfort.

“So? It’s a club. Crowds are kinda expected, y’know? We came here to party!”

“I…don’t like being boxed in, my friend. It’s…difficult.” Heat rose up into Ororo’s cheeks, and Yukio felt her body grow taut as a bowstring, the set of her plump lips thinning into a hard line.

“Ororo…did something happen to you?” Ororo’s eyes fluttered shut as she nodded.

“Then you can tell me about it when we get inside. Excuse me, EXCUSE ME!” Yukio threw propriety to the wind and began elbowing her way through the crowd, ignoring the cries of outrage, and what Ororo suspected was profanity as she felt herself being dragged behind her, almost stumbling in her three-inch heeled black leather boots. Bluish-white light from the overhead street lamp glinted off the steel studs on the leather anklets strapped over her boots and the similarly studded collar around her neck as Yukio yanked her to the very front of the line and nudged the ID checker insistently.

“Not so fast. What’s the rush, ladies?” He flicked his eyes over them without humor, noting the rising clamor of the crowd behind them.

“She has to use the bathroom…really, REAAAALLLY bad,” Yukio whined, her voice plaintive, almond-shaped brown eyes all innocence as she nodded to Ororo. Ororo flushed all the way to her hairline, or what was left of it with her recent haircut.

“My sympathies for your apparent lack of bladder control, but that’s not my problem.” Yukio eyed him slyly, but was unwilling to give up the game. That was half the fun.

“You’d turn down the chance to tell your buddies tomorrow that Tina Turner came in to your club to use the little girls’ room?”

“Who…?” Ororo whispered, her voice cutting off when Yukio pinched the tender flesh of her inner arm to silence her.

“What? You’ve gotta be…seriously, you’re not…”

“C’mon now, just look at her! Can’t mistake those legs!” Yukio was enjoying herself now, treating herself to a long look as she backed away a step, allowing the bouncer to scan Storm from head to toe, from her flamboyant white Mohawk to the fashionably pointed tips of her boots, lingering longest on the endless stretch of lithe, toned, mocha brown thighs exposed by the brief leather skirt. His eyes never made it all the way back to her face. Yukio struggled not to grin and blow their ruse.

“Go ahead in.”

“You’re a lifesaver,” Yukio reassured him, patting his cheek warmly and flashing him a smile that she hoped was sincere.”

“Can I get an autograph?” Ororo heard him call after them. She almost asked him what for until Yukio yanked her over the threshold.

“Maybe on the way out!” she promised, releasing the bubble of laughter from her lips.

“What on earth…?” Yukio didn’t stop pulling Ororo through the people milling around in the large foyer of the building until they reached the coat check room. Yukio quickly shucked her black leather jacket and reached for the small money clip in the pocket before handing it to the pretty attendant. Ororo eyed Yukio’s outfit with a hint of confusion.

“Where could you possibly put that, my friend?” Her snug black vinyl pants gleamed and hugged her lean curves like liquid, and Ororo didn’t see any pockets. Or any pantylines. For some reason Ororo wouldn’t have been able to explain, she blushed again, glad no one could notice the rise of color in her cheeks in the dimly lit interior.

“Where do you think?” Yukio unabashedly rolled up the thin clip and sheaf of bills and tucked it deeply beneath the edge of her black leather corset, well below the sumptuous dip of her golden tan cleavage. Despite herself, Ororo chuckled.

She was just so much fun.

“C’mon. I’m thirsty, we need drinks! Lots of them!”

“Maybe one little glass of wine…” Ororo hedged.

“Psssh! Are you kidding, Storm?? Perish the thought, we’re here to have a good time. Wine won’t cut it.” Yukio tugged Ororo into the large, open bar with soaring ceilings, a spacious dance floor flanked by ornate cast-iron “cages” and a sunken DJ booth. She sidled up to the counter with her guest in tow and barked out, “Two tequila sunrises.” The bartender eyed her up and down, winking his approval at their attire, paying close attention to the tall, quiet brown one who was trying to avoid his eyes. He measured a finger each of the clear spirits, then splashed in some orange juice for color before sinking a maraschino cherry into each for garnish.

“They’re…very pretty drinks,” Ororo commented, swizzling the liquid around in the glass with her straw.

“Pretty potent, too. Bottoms up!” Ororo took a hesitant sip.

Whooooaaa…

Her sapphire blue eyes widened in delight. “What did you just give me?” Yukio whooped at Ororo’s look of shock. Ororo lightly fanned her hand over her cheeks at this new flush of heat as the liquor burned her nostrils, but was soon replaced by a delicious warmth that traveled straight into her stomach.

“Good, huh? Live a little. Have some more!” Yukio downed half of hers without a second thought. She’d half-guessed that Ororo would be a lightweight, but she was surprised that she’d even agreed to come. The two unlikely companions sipped their drinks and enjoyed watching the crowd as the dance floor began to fill to capacity. Ororo was amused to see that Manhattan wasn’t the only city that had embraced the “New Wave” movement as people in outfits more outrageous than hers occasionally walked by. Ororo almost enjoyed the faint, raspy draft of air against her skin through the diamond-patterned mesh of her fishnet stockings that Yukio had talked her into. Damn her eyes…I must be making such a spectacle of myself.

As if reading her thoughts, Yukio leaned in and muttered “We got all gussied up to have a good time. That ain’t gonna happen here with us huddled by the bar all night. I wanna dance!” She tossed back the rest of her drink. “Finish that!”

“You can’t be serious…do you have any idea how much alco-“

“Duh! I guarantee it, Wind-Rider, you’ll have an idea of just how much when your buzz hits you, and it WILL hit you! Just ride it like you ride those winds!” Ororo shook her head.

“You’re a bad influence, did you know that?”

“Uh-huh.”

“And absolutely wicked.”

“Yup,” she drawled, her smile creeping up another notch, reminding Ororo of the proverbial Cheshire cat.

Ororo glanced at the dance floor, then back into her glass. Wordlessly she tipped it to her lips and glugged it down thirstily, all pretense of ladylike behavior thrown out the window. This time Ororo pulled Yukio out onto the floor.

“Let’s GO!” Yukio’s tinkling laugh rose above the throbbing rock music as they made their way onto the hardwood dance floor.


The two women waded through the revelers with some trepidation at first. Yukio sensed that Ororo wouldn’t be comfortable among so many strangers nudging and bumping so closely against her, especially when she was so scantily clad. Still, Yukio admitted, she looked amazing. Ororo’s old, long cape draped over what was otherwise a costume straight out of a Jane Fonda workout gear catalog was long gone, and Yukio gave thanks to whatever style gods and goddesses that intervened and blessed Ororo with the new boldness and attitude to carry her new look. The leather vest left her shoulders and surprisingly muscular, slender arms bare. Underneath it she wore more black leather, this time a snug, strapless bustier that stopped just above her navel, exposing a tiny inny navel that attracted the occasional peek and admiring glance. Her skirt was short and tapered, topped with a low-slung hip belt slanted askew and adorned with a silver buckle that spelled out “Bad Girl.”

The most striking thing, though, was her hair. Or what was left of it. Ororo’s cheekbones were higher and sharper thanks to the sleek Mohawk haircut, waving up in the air like a peacock’s comb. Her blue eyes appeared even bigger and more slanted without the masses of white hair that previously framed that majestic face. A shy smile blossomed on her face as they maneuvered and gyrated in the middle of the crowd; it widened considerably as she allowed the music to possess her body and spirit. The strobe lights flickered, casting a hypnotic glow on them and giving their movements more meaningful, sinuous emphasis. Ororo’s torso and hips undulated, each muscle and curve rippling and unfolding itself into the dance, gyrating with rhythm that Yukio suspected she had, but was almost enthralled by witnessing it close up. Infected by her enthusiasm, Yukio fell in almost perfect step with Storm, as though they had been dancing together on nights like this for years, instead of being uneasy acquaintances over the past few weeks.

Inside the club, Ororo’s vision was hazy from the drink and filled with the complex light show and Yukio’s infectious grin.

Outside, a light rain began to pelt the pavement and sent a grumbling wave of complaint through the people waiting in line. A compact, dangerous-looking figure clad in a fleece-lined, corduroy jacket crossed the street at the busy stoplight, staring down the driver of a sleek blue sports car who would have otherwise turned right over the crosswalk without a second thought. The driver nearly leaned on his horn but thought better of it. The pedestrian’s gait was jaunty and unhurried, and his gaze beneath the brim of his beige Stetson was unwavering. He reached up and tipped his hat casually enough, but the menace in his eyes left the driver no doubt that had he honked or cut him off, the stranger would have happily shown him the error of his ways by force-feeding him the steering wheel.

Live and let live…

Logan ignored his disgruntled neighbors as he fell in line and trimmed his Cuban cigar, lighting it with his pearl-handled Zippo. He sucked the nourishing curl of smoke deep into his lungs and blew out a perfect row of three smoke rings, to the delight of the questionably young girls a few feet ahead of him. He touched the brim of his hat, this time allowing a faint smile to play about his lips. Beneath the clamor, Logan heard excited whispers that piqued his interest:

“I heard Tina Turner’s here tonight! No, not for a concert, HERE! She came through with some other girl to use the BATHROOM!” Logan chuckled at the audacious rumor. He didn’t expect any thrills from this crummy little dive.

All he really wanted was to be alone. Indulge in a little people-watching, drink until his eyeballs swam, and do his level-best to forget. Yep. This was a flashy crowd. He’d fade right into the wallpaper. Unconsciously Logan’s feet inched him closer to the door, following the silent but persistent flow of the crowd as they buffeted him like ants swarming into a hill.

Back inside, Ororo and Yukio engaged in a deep and philosophical discussion with the sincerity and intensity only possible after the consumption of two tequila sunrises, a kamikaze, and four lemon drop shots apiece. Ororo’s blue eyes were drowsy but still twinkling with mischief as Yukio peppered her with questions.

“You wouldn’t lie to this little samurai, would you? A THIEF??? You, with your lily-white moral code of ‘I swore never to take a life, no matter what’ used to be a thief?” Yukio’s words weren’t slurred, but the so-fast-she-never-even-took-a-breath pace of her speech died down by a few miles per hour, and Ororo relaxed, enjoying her slightly accented voice with its light, rich soprano.

“A pickpocket,” Ororo clarified. “The best…PICKpocket in Cairo.” She stared blearily into the bottom of her empty shot glass, watching the strobe lights flicker and reflect back at her in the minute droplets of liquor.

“Still doesn’t make you any better than me,” Yukio gloated, lightly tugging on the stray lock of Ororo’s hair swishing against her nape.

“Owww! That wasn’t nice!”

“Yeah, well…neither am I.” Her grin wilted a little as she stared into her own cup.

“Liar,” Ororo murmured. “You have your moments. At least when you aren’t tempting me to knock you off of a cliff…”

“Admit it, you, I saw that look in your eye when you caught me with that updraft…you were gonna let me splat into the ocean without a second thought!”

“My second thought made me fly after you in the first place, Wild One.”

“Even after I got your goat.”

“No, you didn’t.”

“Yes, I did.” Ororo reached into the shot glass and indolently sucked on the lemon wedge, pursing her pouting, ruby red lips around its tart flesh.

“Fine. Maybe you did. You seemed awfully determined.” Ororo’s tone was slightly indignant.

“Determined to do what?”

“To prove to me why Logan was right to warn me about you. You’re a dangerous woman, Yukio-chan.”

“Why? Because I don’t fear death? Because I like to take risks?” Yukio waved the bartender back over and ordered two more lemon drops, then helped herself to a stray cherry from the condiment tray beside them. “I never, ever love life more than when it’s about to be yanked from my fingertips, Storm.”

“That wasn’t all he warned me about.” Yukio was in the middle of dangling the cherry by its stem over her lips, about to bite into the succulent morsel, but she lowered it as she met Ororo’s eyes. “Logan told me about you. And him. How you saved him once. And about how you offered him something that very hard to refuse.”

“Didn’t stop him from refusing it; you were there at the wedding. What there was of it,” she scoffed, tapping the cherry against the rim of her glass. “He said her name. Right after he kissed me, he said that uptight little porcelain doll’s name.” Her lips hardened into a snarl. Ororo searched the bottom of her empty glass for clues of how to smooth it away.

“What did you do then?”

“The first thing that came to mind. I kicked his teeth in.” Yukio nonchalantly resumed her snack and sucked the cherry in between her lips, puckering her lips with a faint “Mmmmm” as she freed it from the stem and chucked it onto the cocktail napkin.

“That wasn’t very nice.”

“Felt good, though.”

“Mmm-hmm.” Their eyes met on a wicked look, and both women burst into spasms of cackling laughter. Yukio wiped the corner of her eye with her fingertips.

“Hooooo…I never thought I’d say this, but I’m so damned glad you came out tonight. I thought you were gonna be a boring old stick in the mud and run back to your little team, and play the good Girl Scout.”

“Let’s just say I needed some down time. They won’t miss me horribly in the meantime.” The image of Kitty running away with her hands covering her face and muffling her sobs furrowed her brows for a moment as that pain settled over her heart. I’m not her mother. So…why did it hurt so much?

“You could have spent that down time in the states.”

“This is a beautiful country.” Ororo hesitated to reveal her ulterior motive.

Logan had gone missing. The memory of him standing in the temple, hands fisted at his sides in his wedding regalia, staring hopelessly ahead still gnawed at Ororo. Her gut clenched as she remembered how the air was squeezed from her lungs, almost as though she had been punched in the chest. In that excruciating moment, witnessing Logan’s rejection and humiliation by the woman he loved more than his life, Ororo felt his pain as acutely as if it were her own. The look in his eyes, his muted assurances that he didn’t want to talk about it “ ever “ still invaded her sleep.

Yukio was about to say something, but their reflections in the mirror behind the bar caught her eye, and she straightened herself on her stool from where she’d been unsteadily perched. “Look, Ororo,” she hissed, elbowing her out of her stupor.

“What?” Ororo squinted into the mirror, unsure of what she was supposed to be seeing. She twiddled the lemon wedge between her finger and thumb, playing with the strands of depleted pulp. There they were…Yukio on one side, Ororo on the other. Ororo beamed serenely and waved at her reflection. Then waved at her twin. Then at Yukio’s twin.

“I thought you didn’t have a sister,” she accused.

“I don’t,” she huffed, tsking under her breath.

“Then…who’s that?” Ororo pointed to the blurry Yukio…Yukios in the mirror. All of them laughed at her without restraint.

“You’re drunk! You’re actually hammered! I never would have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own two eyes!”

“Two?” She giggled. Yukio shook her head in disbelief.

“Oh, yeah! And you’re not paying attention.” She directed her glance to the two men beckoning to them from the other end of the bar. Both of them looked to be in about their mid-twenties, lean and attractive. Yukio raised her empty glass in a salute. Ororo smiled weakly. “You could show a little more enthusiasm, Storm.”

“How?”

“How? Are you kidding me…Storm, you’re hot! They’re staring over here, staring at you, and you really don’t have a clue of what to do next?”

“Ask me to pick a lock. Pick a pocket, even. Crack a safe. Or even leap off a cliff…”

“Already covered that.”

“Exactly!” WHAM! Ororo’s palm smacked the counter hard enough to make it throb. She’d notice the pain in the morning, she supposed… “What was I saying?”

“You asked me to ask you to leap off a cliff?”

“Right. RIGHT! Cliffs…what to do next. I’m not any good at this,” she moaned lamely.

“Talking to men?”

“Strange men.” Ororo live under the same roof with a handful of men, none of whom made the back of her nape prickle with excitement and fear. Well, all except one…

“They aren’t all that strange. I’ve seen worse.” Yukio eyed what looked like a diamond pinky ring and a relatively fat pocket on the one. He’d be an easy mark, if she could get close enough. Or a good lay. Both would be nice…

“I’m out of my element.”

“Then maybe we need to break the ice.” Yukio dipped her fingers into the condiment tray again and extracted a plump cherry. “Ororo? Do me a favor?”

“What?”

“Tip your head back and open up.” Yukio stared at their two admirers, watching them exchange knowing glances as they sized up the attractive pair.

“Why would I…?”

“Just do it.” Yukio’s eyes took on that look. Uh-oh… Ororo obeyed, tipping her head back and allowing her lips to drop open a tiny fraction. Rising from her stool, Yukio arched her back a bit, leaning toward Ororo, her cleavage brushing up against Ororo’s arm purposely as she dangled the cherry over Ororo’s lips. “More,” she hissed, suppressing the full-fledged grin, but shooting a knowing nod at the men. Their eyes widened as they nudged each other, watching the spectacle unfold with surprise and delight. Yukio gently, teasingly rubbed the fruit against Ororo’s lower lip, tickling it; instinctively her lips opened and sought to taste the sweet. Ororo gave in to the nagging urge to play along with this completely foreign but ultimately tempting big girl game and lipped the cherry, nipping it with her lips. Her eyelids drooped in surrender as Yukio lowered it into her mouth. With a light pop, Ororo sucked the cherry from the stem, lolling it in her mouth for a moment before chewing it triumphantly.

Goddess, what was she doing???

Before she could ponder the wisdom of her gesture, uncharacteristically wanton as it was, Ororo gasped moments later as the waitress sidled up to the bar, laid down a crumpled pile of bills, and asked the bartender to give “these two ladies” another one each of whatever they were having, courtesy of “those two gentlemen over there.”

“Ororo, hurry up and finish that! We’ve got more dancing to do!” Ororo hastily tossed back the shot, questioning the wisdom of it when her eyeballs felt like they were swimming in a tide of lemon and vodka. They returned to the dance floor, the wooden boards clumping beneath their boots as they moved with new purpose. Ororo was surprised at how steady she was amidst the press of bodies as they seemed to buoy her, not unlike zephyrs or warm summer winds when she took to the skies. Yukio adapted her rhythm to Ororo’s their bodies moving in sync, and Ororo eventually felt the heat from Yukio’s torso up against her back as she clasped Ororo’s hips from behind. Ororo gasped, “What on earth -!”

“Go with it. Let’s give ‘em a little show.”

“Didn’t we already do that?”

“This show has a one-drink minimum. Strut your stuff, Wind-Rider.” Compelled by the music and unseen fingers pulling the strings- perhaps it was Yukio’s madness again “ Ororo leaned into Yukio’s teasing embrace and danced, pulsed, and moved, watching their admirers back at the bar through hooded eyes. Sometimes, she mused, it was fun to be bad…

Outside the front entry way, Logan grumbled to himself at the exorbitant cover charge of the club, knowing damn well he would end up paying at least triple that in drinks as the night progressed, throwing back shots of Jack Daniels until he couldn’t feel his teeth. Too bad it wouldn’t dull that sensation of having his heart ripped out and his nuts kicked up into his ribcage to take its place…Logan was determined. Numb teeth were a start. He made his way to the coat check room and shucked his thick corduroy jacket, tucking his wallet and ID into the pocket of his chambray shirt and leaving on his Stetson. Mentally Logan counted his money and estimated how many shots it would get him as he wove his way to the bar. Hunh…interesting crowd. And they seemed to all be staring that way…

Logan swiveled his head toward the dance floor, feeling the throbbing music pulse through him but remaining unaffected by its thrall. The sea of dancers gradually parted, and Logan caught a glimpse of white above the crowd. His thirst forgotten, Logan drifted inexorably toward the dance floor. Various colognes and the scent of sweating beer bottles and shot glasses assailed his nose, but the faint hint of something achingly familiar and completely unlikely lay just beneath that surface layer of smells. A light, fresh scent of morning dew misted over English tea roses, mingled with sandalwood…unforgettable. Distinctive.

And not supposed to be anywhere near here, no how, no way.

“Holy - !” Logan tipped his hat further back on his head, unable to believe what he was seeing.

Out on the floor, undulating and rippling with careless grace and an almost sexual energy, Ororo danced questionably close with his one-time lover and partner-in-crime.

Shit. The friggin’ whiskey could wait…
…Away Above the Chimney Tops by OriginalCeenote
Logan stood watching the dance floor from the shadows, content for the moment to enjoy the spectacle Ororo was making of herself. Never in a million friggin’ years…

He was so distracted “ no, enthralled “ by the little show in front of him that he nearly didn’t hear the waitress approach him until she was practically on top of him, nudging his arm gently. He missed the look of admiration that she gave him, licking her lips at the firm, solid heat of his muscle. “Sir? Can I take your order?”

“Jack Daniels, neat.” Logan absently fished in his wallet for a crumpled bill. He silently gave thanks that she moved away so he could get back to his entertainment without interruption.

“Never woulda figured ya had it in ya, ‘Ro,” he murmured, then stopped himself.

Of course she had it in her. She was a young, healthy, red-blooded woman with all-too human needs. This was a long time in coming, and like everyone else, he’d just turned his head and assumed that their resident weather goddess and mother hen would stay buttoned up and hiding in the corner. He realized that was a foolish assumption now. He just never expected this.

That nagging little pain gnawed at his gut as Logan recalled Ororo striding into the foyer of Mariko’s apartments mere weeks ago, calm and serene in her long black cloak. The mellow glow of the track lighting and elegant lanterns shone down on her smooth, thick waves of lustrous white hair. She beamed at him pleasantly enough, blue eyes soft and thoughtful as she accepted the cup of green tea from his thick, callused hand. Something had been wrong then. Kurt, Kitty, Pete and Chuck were chatty as hell and weren’t shy about tearing through the tempting spread of food. Ororo, though…he couldn’t put his finger on it then, but now it was coming back to him. She spent most of that night just watching and listening in the corner, admiring the plants and occasionally inclining her head toward the conversations.

Why wouldn’t she relax amongst her family? Why was the regal, imperious Wind-Rider standing off to the side all by her lonesome, trying to blend into the wallpaper? She’d reminded him of a flower closing its petals at the sign of nightfall, trying to shield her glory and make herself take up as little space as possible. He’d tried to call her on it:

“You’ve changed, ‘Roro. You seem different.”
“So are you, my friend.”

He wouldn’t deny that. There was a hint of amusement playing at the corners of her mouth as she studied him, sending an uncharacteristic flush into his cheeks. M’iko had civilized him, at least on the surface. Logan imagined himself as Ororo must have seen him at that moment: Relaxed. Unwary, despite Rogue’s startling arrival in their midst. His well-worn, faded jeans and flannel shirts had been replaced by an impeccably pressed hopi coat and wool slacks, and he partook of the green tea instead of his customary beer, the tiny porcelain cup looking almost ridiculous in his enormous hand. Even his hair was neatly combed and laying mostly in place, aside from the natural “bulls’ horns” that no barber could tame.

Logan kicked himself now for never picking up their talk where they had left off. Instead of heading home to Westchester to lick his wounds, all he’d done was camp out on Mariko’s front door. Which should have been his front door, if only he hadn’t fucked up. And for the life of him, he couldn’t figure out how. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Logan remembered that someone famous and full of themselves once said “Love makes you blind.” He wished he could correct that fucker right now as he thanked the waitress for his drink and took a fortifying gulp. Love makes you hurt.

But yeah, he’d been blind, too. In the middle of letting his heart bleed into his eyes, making him see nothing but red hate and pain so bitter he could choke on it, he missed the fact that life had brought his best friend, a veritable goddess on earth, to her knees.

Now it was time to help her back up, and from the looks of things, Yukio was doing her level best to beat him to the punch…

Logan scanned the bar slowly, surveying the crowd and wondering why his hackles stood up. A random scent of musk and increased pheromones “ his feral intuition warned him of “rival males” among the pack thronged within the club “ brushed past him, bumping him in their haste. His whiskey splashed slightly over the edge of his glass. “Fuckers,” he growled under his breath.

He lost interest in his drink once he noticed them weaving through the dancers, making their way toward Ororo and Yukio. He slammed the glass down on the counter and abandoned his bar stool.

Yukio could handle herself with a little liquor under her belt. ‘Roro, on the other hand, didn’t drink more than a single goblet of wine in one sitting on the rare special occasion. That made her a mark. Yeah, that was it…

Ahhhh, who’re ya kiddin’, Patch?

Maybe if she wasn’t dancing like that…her hips. Damn, those hips! Quit gettin’ distracted!

Out on the floor, Ororo flung her head back and felt Yukio’s cheek brushing against hers, just for a fleeting moment. Naughty. This felt naughty. The alcohol fizzing in her stomach and swimming through her veins made everything amusing at first: The glances she had gotten while in line for the rest room. The fact that the rest room was their initial excuse for lying their way in through the front entry. The random inquiries of when her next album was coming out, whatever that meant. Yukio’s grin. Her own grin that felt as though it had been pasted to her lips for the past three hours. And the completely foreign feeling that she was in a club, far from home, dancing wantonly with a woman she hardly knew instead of handling her responsibilities as team leader while Scott was in Anchorage, and she didn’t give a damn. Not one.

Ooooh, here come those nice men that bought them the drinks. And they were smiling, too. That’s nice… Ororo smiled back, glad to be in on the joke. Behind her, Yukio’s eyes were sly and full of cunning as she tugged Ororo in front of her, hands wrapped almost, but not quite possessively around her tiny waist.

“Hey, ladies.”

“Hey, boys,” Yukio drawled, drawing out the game a little longer. Their eyes were drawn to Yukio’s lips, which were suggestively close to Ororo’s ear as she watched them from above her taller friend’s shoulder. Ororo repressed a tiny, curious shiver at the steam from Yukio’s lips against that ticklish spot, left so vulnerable by here bare little haircut. She watched the two men lightly elbow each other. Ororo giggled. Again. She still felt Yukio swaying behind her, and she swayed along.

“Saw you two dancing out here by yourselves.”

“We thought we were dancing with each other,” Yukio reminded him gently. “Kinda figured you saw us, too. Explains why you came out here.”

“Those drinks that you were sipping came from me and my friend here. Thought it might break the ice.” Yukio almost wanted to laugh as his friend drifted behind her, moving to the music and adapting to her rhythm. You think you’re slick…

“You thought so, huh?”

“Uh-huh.” His tone was confident. His cologne smelled expensive and overwhelmed Ororo’s senses. He flicked his eyes over Ororo, resting longer than they needed to on her smooth and creamy cleavage. “Thought it might give us the chance to get a little more friendly.”

“See, Yukio? They’re friendly,” Ororo reassured her, craning her head around to glance into her face. Her smile was bleary enough at first glance, but Yukio felt Ororo’s muscles tense with anticipation and something akin to caution.

“Real friendly.” Yukio almost laughed as she felt herself being pulled from Ororo from behind. Her would-be dance partner was insistent, all right, and slightly taller than her five feet, nine inches. Yukio let him think he had the upper hand for a moment, shooting Ororo an “aw shucks, he’s got me now!” look in her direction when Ororo turned to face her. The cool air hit her back and she felt bereft of Yukio’s sheltering presence there.

She was a few sheets less to the wind, after all…

“Looks like my friend’s keep your friend entertained for now. Care to dance, beautiful?”

“I’m a bit…tired.” It wasn’t a complete lie. Ororo’s feet ached from the cruel leather boots and the beating she’d given her feet on the hardwood floor. The vodka and tequila weren’t anesthetizing the discomfort by any stretch.

“You didn’t look tired a minute ago.” Ororo felt her wrist cuffed his firm grip as he pulled her closer to him, wanting a better look at those captivating eyes and saucy mouth. Her feet chose that time to betray her, losing all of their nimble coordination and gait as he hauled her close. Ororo felt the faint bulge of something firm pressed against her stomach and shuddered. Bright Lady, surely he doesn’t mean to…?

“You DARE?” Ororo savagely twisted her wrist lose, competently breaking his hold the way a certain cocky, compact Canadian friend of hers showed her to once. Yukio paused in telling her own dance partner that yes, she did think her girlfriend was getting lonely, even in the company of his idiot friend, when felt static surround her, making the hairs on her arm stand up and whistling over her nape.

“Shit,” she muttered. The music still blared, and it almost felt surreal to Yukio that no one else save her, Ororo’s prospective beau and his companion noticed that the weather witch’s eyes were glowing an eerie, bone-chilling white.

“Holy crap!!! You’re one of those ““ A large hand clapped over his shoulder and jerked him back, spinning him around to face the scariest pair of dark brown eyes he’d ever seen, hooded by scowling, thick brows. His breath lodged in his throat along with a huge lump of unadulterated fear as his collar was fisted in an unbreakable grip. Hard lips thinned into a snarl and pulled back from teeth that gleamed a startling white in the strobe lights, revealing the feral snags of his slightly elongated canine teeth.

“Think ya were just sayin’ she’s one of those women who’s way outta yer league, right, Twinkle-Toes?” Sweat broke out on his forehead as he watched Logan in disbelief, scarcely crediting his eyes with the sight of one long, gleaming metal claw breaking the surface of bronzed skin.

“P-please, I-I j-just bought her a d-drink, it was just…”

“And ya were just tellin’ her no hard feelins’ if she didn’t wanna dance anymore, am I right?” Casually Logan used his claw to pick a random speck of something from between his teeth and sucking them thoughtfully, never letting his eyes drop.

“Butt out, old man! Just mind your business!” Yukio’s suitor lost interest in her and released her, to her relief. She was getting bored with his tired lines and deluge of cologne.

“The lady is my business, dumb ass!”

“I can handle this, Logan.”

“I know ya can, sweetheart.” Ororo was given little opportunity to prove it as she felt herself shoved out of the way by Yukio’s companion. He reached for Logan, fists swinging. Ororo tripped over her high-heeled boots and was carried by the momentum. She fell face-down with an ungraceful splat on the floor. “WHOOOMPPH!”

“Oh, that tore it!” Yukio yanked him back by the scruff of the neck and jabbed her stiffened fingers into his sternum. She grinned with malice at his grunt of pain as Logan tipped back his Stetson and head-butted the grabby punk with little remorse, enjoying the faint crack of bone colliding with adamantium. The second man recovered and snarled at Yukio, practically spitting “BITCH!”

“Oh, that’s nice.” She backhanded him to prove her point, then tangled her fingers in his overgelled hair and drove his face into her raised kneecap. Unfortunately, that got the bouncer’s attention. He looked large, unhappy, and wore an expression that shouted “I knew you two crazy hussies were trouble.” Logan quietly retracted his claw and shoved the punk aside like a boy throwing down a truck he didn’t want to play with anymore. Yukio hunkered down next to Ororo and whispered “You okay?”

“I’m okay,” she slurred. “Oh, look, ‘Kio, now th-there’s two of you again, so I can dance with you, an’ you can dance with Logan, and no worries…” Ororo reached up and patted Yukio’s cheek warmly. “Hullo, Logan.”

Logan’s expression was thunderous.

“Yukio?” Yukio winced at Ororo’s breath as she pulled her close to whisper, not realizing she sounded loud enough to be heard above the music.

“Yeah, Storm?”

“Are we in trouble?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Oh. Okay.” With that, Ororo’s eyes rolled back in her head and she gratefully passed out. Logan eyed them both, particularly the faint hint of a smile curling Ororo’s slack lips, then shook his head.

*****
Something beneath Ororo’s cheek felt firm and solid, and smelled like Tide. She was moving slowly, her body being shifted and buoyed along with the rolling, jaunty gait of whoever was carrying her. The winds rose, feathering her hair and making her scalp tingle.

“Don’t think we’ll be welcome in there anymore, somehow.”

“Ya think?” The growling, raspy bass held the faint burr of a Canadian accent that Ororo enjoyed so much whenever they talked.

“Mmmmmnnnhhh…”

“Roro?” Ororo thought she heard Logan murmuring to her. No. Of course not. She sighed and buried her face in the clean-smelling, soft chambray cotton against her cheek.

“Shoulda warned me she couldn’t hold her liquor.”

“Would ya have listened ta me?”

“Nope.” A pause. “She sure as hell had a good time, though. Never knew she had it in her,” Yukio admitted.

“Hnnnh.” Logan gently shifted Ororo in his arms. For such a tall woman, she weighed surprisingly little, but for the moment she was still a dead weight. “Yeah. Neither did I.”

“How’d a guy like you fall in with these uptight mooks, anyway?”

“Chuck asked me ta join, an’ made me a better offer than what I was doin’ at the time.” Logan eyed her carefully. “Maybe even better’n what yer doin,’ sweet cheeks.”

“What I do doesn’t concern you anymore, does it? You made your choice. Concern yourself with your uptight friends and play house with your little doll.”

SNIKT…

“Go ahead and push me. Just a little further. Ya always brag about how ya don’t fear death. I can put Ororo here down nice and easy, and ya can put yer money where yer smart mouth is, missy.”

“And here I thought you didn’t believe in foreplay. Liar,” she hissed. Ororo thought she heard a faint jingling sound beneath the faint buzzing in her head as Yukio fumbled in her jacket pocket for her house keys.
*****


Back at the night club:

“Pan left. Now zoom in. Closer. Get a better detail on those two. They came in after happy hour.” The technician obeyed the terse command and adjusted the video camera playback feed, leaning in toward the monitor. He cleared his throat against the stench of the unfiltered cigarette throwing random curls of smoke into the tight interior of the security booth upstairs.

“Would you mind smoking that else-“

“Yes. I would.” Her tone brooked no argument. The technician sighed and continued to review the footage.

“That’s it. Sharpen that a little.” Her green eyes narrowed shrewdly as the two women came into focus. The corner of her mouth quirked up faintly at the image of the taller of the two, dark-skinned and skimpily attired. The hair was…flamboyant, to say the least, but Viper would recognize Storm anywhere. Her face was emblazoned in her memory from the day that she knocked her senseless with one gust of wind and then proceeded to electrocute her paramour half to death with her damned lightening.

Viper relished the prospect of making her pay. Pity that she had shaved off all of that hair. It deprived her of ripping it out by the roots one excruciating inch at a time when she inevitably hunted her down.

She picked up the slim black cordless phone and dialed in the number. Kenuichio’s voice rumbled at the other end of the line, and she smiled.

“We found them.”


Inside Yukio’s apartment:

“Least ya owe me is a beer.”

“Why? No asked you to interfere.”

“Ya got us kicked out before I could finish my whiskey. Ya don’t come between a man an’ his whiskey.” Logan yanked open her refrigerator and wrinkled his nose. “Fuckin’ pansy-assed light beer!” he sneered, but popped one can loose from the six-pack anyway.

“Why’re you still here?”

“I’m stickin’ around ta take care of ‘Roro. In case ya hadn’t noticed, she ain’t in the best of shape. How much did ya let her drink, anyway?”

“The day anyone ‘lets’ that woman do anything is the day I settle down and become a nun. I just paid for every other shot. Storm drank ‘em by herself. Pretty damn thirsty, too.” Yukio flopped onto her couch and tugged off her high-heeled boots. “Don’t you guys ever take her anywhere?”

“Watch yer mouth.” Logan sank into the recliner and flipped the lever, elevating his feet. He clicked on the modest color TV with the remote and surfed for a decent late-night movie. The news caught his eye instead:

“…local police still have no clues as to the whereabouts of the arsonist that set fire to the fireworks factory warehouse two weeks ago, resulting in several thousand dollars of damage to the surrounding neighborhood…”

“Great,” Logan muttered. He suddenly felt grateful that Ororo was snoozing peacefully back in Yukio’s bedroom. Logan had shucked off her boots and vest, then covered her with the light comforter, pulling it up to her chin. He turned out the overhead light and studied her in the now moonlit room, still incredulous at what he’d seen before. Ororo, dancing and so carefree, not to mention overtly, startlingly sensual that he couldn’t take his eyes off of her. It didn’t make sense.

It was Ororo, for God’s sake.

Still…the moon picked out glints of silver in her plume of silky white hair and heightened the crowns of her cheekbones, making her skin look smooth as water. Ridiculously long eyelashes kissed her cheeks, and Ororo moaned softly, with that same silly hint of a smile on her lips as she slept. Logan smothered an exasperated sigh, then smiled in spite of himself.

She was cute when she slept. Even if she was drunk as a skunk.

Logan knelt by the bed, knowing he should go ahead and let her rest, but something in him wanted to stay and make sure she was safe. He leaned over and lightly stroked a limp lock of hair from her forehead with his fingertips. Ororo moaned again, her voice deep and drowsy. “Nnnnngggh. Sleepy.” She leaned into his touch, then unconsciously reached for him, gripping his forearm to hold him immobile. The pulse in his wrist leapt at her gentle touch, and her thumb stroked his warm skin, light as a butterfly wing.

Heat shot into his stomach, and all of his nerve endings woke up. Her touch was gentle. That was Ororo all over; she was always that gentle. When she tended her plants, dressed a wound, or braided Kitty’s hair, those hands of hers were always graceful and painstakingly tender. Something in him was relieved that her drastic change in appearance these last few days hadn’t changed that, because he’d sure as hell been worried.

Now he was more worried about the effect she was having on him that was certainly more subtle than the one she had when she and Yukio were playing their little game earlier. Once one of his senses was stimulated, all of them went on full alert. Logan’s nostrils twitched as he inhaled the scent of her skin, sleep-warmed and smelling of sandalwood, and that sweet little tea rose smell that was so her. He listened to her slumberous breathing, then strained to hear the smooth, even cadence of her pulse. Her heartbeat. Her face was relaxed and free of the tension and sadness that haunted her eyes during the engagement party. And her lips were ripe and plump, and to his delight, pillowy soft as he stroked the bottom one with his fingertip.

Something irresistible and undeniable drew him down to her, and Logan gave in to it, lightly brushing his mouth over hers.

One little goodnight kiss, then he was off.

That had been the plan. The best laid plans have a way of going awry, as is often the case when the kissee tastes like sunshine and honey and lemon drop martinis and has velvety soft lips.

“Mmmmmmmm. Mm-hmmm.’ Ororo nodded in her sleep, almost coaxing him to return when he parted from her, and Logan dipped his head to take another taste. It was even better than the first as he nibbled and sipped up her flavors, slowly deepening the kiss as the beast inside him roared in triumph; Ororo’s fingers had released his arm and crept up to curl themselves in his thick waves of hair. His tongue probed her mouth, stroking hers with velvety heat.

That’s when the realization hit him: He was taking advantage of his best friend. While she was passed out drunk. Reluctantly, yet urgently, Logan broke the kiss and pried her hand from his face, gently laying it down over the covers. Ororo’s eyes fluttered open, glancing at him quizzically.

“Logan?” There was nothing accusing in her tone. Just curiosity, and more concern than he deserved. Guilt washed over him in bitter, stagnant waves.

“Go back t’bed, darlin’,” he husked, rising unsteadily to his feet. “G’night.” He almost didn’t hear her low reply.

“G’night, Logan.” The door clicked shut behind him.

And that was how he ended up out here, playing twenty questions with his ex. The worst part of it was, he felt like a bonafide sonofabitch for kissing Ororo when she was helpless like that, but he’d ignored the even bigger sin that he’d committed, namely kissing any woman who wasn’t Mariko. His love. His soul.

Logan sighed as he took another sip of the wussy light beer. “Ya don’t have anything else?”

“Hey, you didn’t ask.”

“Nice. Very nice. Holdin’ out on the guy that escorted you two crazy broads home.”

“Eh.” Yukio rummaged in the cabinets for two shot glasses and curled the bottle of Jack Daniels up in her arm, hugging it to her chest as she sat by the coffee table on the floor. She poured two shots and handed Logan one, saluting him “To old friends and lost loves.” Logan winced, scowling at her before he raised his glass back and downed it in one gulp. The whiskey burned his eyes before the mellow glow spread across his chest. Yeeeaahh, that was it. Just what the doctor ordered.

“M’iko ain’t lost ta me yet.”

“You’re lying if you believe that. She was lost the moment you killed her father.”

“God knows what would’ve happened if I hadn’t killed that miserable sonofabitch. I was protectin’ her. I still am.”

“Hard to do that when you’re huddled up here, Patch.”

“I’ve been watchdoggin’ her doorstep from the moment that she left the altar.” Logan held out his glass for another drink; Yukio’s was bleary and sleepy as she poured, spilling a few droplets over the rim. She laughed at that and the random clutter of her living room. Discarded shoes and jackets littered the loveseat and floor. Nothing like cleaning up after an impromptu sleepover.

“I won’t tell you how I feel about that.”

“Good.”

“You aren’t the teensiest bit curious?”

“Not when I need a place ta crash tonight.” And a place to keep an eye on Ororo through the night.

“Logan?”

“Yeah?”

“What’s Ororo’s story, anyway? Why’s she got such a thing about not wanting to kill? You’d think in your line of work she’d have no problem with it.” Yukio stared into her glass and considered refilling it, then thought better of it.

“Our line of work ain’t killin,’ darlin’, it’s savin’ people. Fighting the bad guys. Protecting mutant rights, truth, justice, the American way, apple pie and all that crap. Killin’ ain’t supposed ta be in the job description.”

“She threw a hissy fit over frying that Silver jackass.”

“That ain’t her way.” Logan contemplated this and frowned. The evening news became less interesting, and he turned the volume down. “We were gone for a while. When we got back, things were harder for her. Ya know how her powers work, right?”

“Yeah. She mentioned a few things when she came to stay with me. Said something about her moods affecting the weather.”

“Yep.” Logan sipped his drink. “And the weather affects her. When something ain’t right with the world, it hits her hard. Something happened when we were gone, and it ain’t fixed itself since. Ororo’s lost touch.”

“When you were gone? Where? And lost touch with what?”

“The earth. We were gone, and when we got back, her whole connection to the planet shut down, even went haywire.”

“Waitaminnit…back it up, Patch. You were gone from the earth? As in space? Doing what?”

“Destroying giant, parasitic killer insects that wanted to take over the universe.” He looked long and searchingly into her face. She made a noise of disgust and flipped him the bird. “S’true.”

“Fine, don’t tell me, then. So, she loses her connection to the earth, then what?”

“She can still use her power, but it’s not the same. No more fine control. A woman who can make a hurricane with a wave of her hand needs that fine control and can’t afford ta crack up.”

“So living a repressed, miserable little life of a mouse is supposed to fix the problem? She gets to hide her light under a bushel?”

“Ya shouldn’t be pushing her so much, little ronin.” Logan set his glass on the tiny chrome-legged side table. “Ya think yer just havin’ fun with her, but she ain’t a plaything.”

“What’s the matter, Logan?” Yukio’s smile wasn’t so bleary now. Her eyes glittered at him. “Jealous?”

“Yer outta yer-“

“Deny it.” Yukio put the bottle of whiskey back in the cupboard. Logan watched her lithe retreating back, impressed with how well she’d maintained herself over the years. Her leather pants and corset fit her like a glove and flowed lovingly over her curves. Logan sighed and picked at a loose thread in the upholstery of the recliner, trying to ignore the tightness in his crotch. “I think you’re afraid, Patch. You’re afraid I’ll convince her to ditch your sorry little school and finally live life without so many stupid rules or being afraid of it.” Her expression was still casual, even mocking. Logan still heard the edge in her voice and smelled the building wave of resentment in her pheromones.

“I’m jealous,” he deadpanned.

“Yup.”

“Of you.”

“Nope. Of what I have to offer to Ororo.”

“What exactly do ya think ya hafta offer her, besides gettin’ kicked outta nightclubs, a life of crime, and a doozy of a hangover?”

“Someone sounds defensive.”

“Someone just asked ya a pretty valid question. Whaddya want with Ororo?”

“Maybe more than I ever wanted from you.” Logan’s eyes widened.

“What?”

“The X-Men’s name isn’t written on her, and neither is yours. I want her to be my partner.”

“In crime? Burglaries? As an assassin?”

“Among other things. If she’ll have me.” Yukio counted few enough people in her life as friends. Even having the lively, clever weather witch in that capacity would be enough. But Logan had taken the bait.

“Why ‘Roro?”

“Why not?” Logan struggled to come up with an answer. A really good one. He found none, but plundered on anyway.

“Because she’s too good for that kind of life.” And she’s never indicated that women were her thing, even cute and crazy ones like you.

“You mean too good for me.” Now her smile was gone.

“That, too.”

“Screw you.”

“We’ve already been down that road, darlin’.” He was standing now in his bare feet, boots leaning against the frame of the front door as though waiting for him to step into them and go. His throat suddenly felt tight, and guilt started to creep up the back of his neck for the second time that night. “Shit…Yukio, don’t…I didn’t…”

“Yeah, you did. It always comes down to this, Logan-sama. I can’t compare to your precious little M’iko.” Her eyes shone with something like regret before she looked away. Firm, callused fingers captured her jaw and forced her to look at him.

“Maybe I never wanted ta compare ya.”

“Could’ve fooled me. And maybe I don’t want to settle for being second best.” She was still beautiful, her features and slender body looking deceptively delicate but hiding a crafty mind and heart of a thief.

“Nah. Ya shouldn’t. Still doesn’t mean I’ll let ya try ta finesse Ororo away from her life, though. Not without a fight.” Logan felt the same little twisting feeling stirring in his gut that he always had when they crossed paths. He feathered the sensitive corner of her mouth with his thumb. “Ya’ve got yer moments. Never woulda worked between us, ronin.”

“Duh.” She clutched his wrist and let her other hand drift over his smooth muscles, palming his heartbeat. “She’s not spoken for, Logan-sama.” Logan resolved to feel no guilt for this particular kiss as his lips met hers, and she made a small, hungry sound in her throat. It was intimate, familiar, and noncommittal. It ended too soon.

WHAP! Yukio’s hand stung from the brisk slap. Logan raised his fingers numbly to his reddened cheek and his mouth twisted as he stared her down.

“I don’t recall you drinking any tequila, or a lemon drop martini when we met up earlier, Patch,” Yukio hissed, wiping the back of her hand over her mouth. “It’s one thing to come to me and say another woman’s name, Logan.” She reached for the remote and turned off the TV, chucking it onto the recliner. “It’s another one entirely to come to me tasting like her.”

“Now who’s jealous?”

“FUCK YOU.” Logan heard the room to the guest bedroom slam shut behind her and stood there alone in the dark. He fumbled with the pocket of his discarded corduroy jacket and found his cigar and Zippo. “Ororo can make up her own mind. And I won’t be your consolation prize.”

No, darlin’. Ya wanna be the competition. Even though Logan wasn’t playing the game.

He thought he’d stopped playing games when Mariko said yes. Plain and simple. Boy meets girl, boy loves girl, boy marries girl and lives happily ever after. In that scenario, girl didn’t kick boy’s testicles into his chest cavity in front of the only friends and family that he ever had…

Logan quietly slid open the patio door and let himself outside, drinking in the cool night air. He rolled up the sleeves of his chambray shirt and unbuttoned it to expose more of his skin to the breeze. Logan stripped the label from the cigar and trimmed it, letting it flutter away. He’d been feeling that way, too. Like something someone used up and cast away.

Logan flicked on his Zippo and lit his smoke, sucking it into his chest as he mulled what went wrong. The night had started well enough. The ashes began to drop onto the pristine concrete of Yukio’s well-swept stoop, soiling it. Logan ground them beneath his toe, spreading them in dark smears. He contemplated the whiskey bottle tucked safely in Yukio’s cupboard. She was pissed at him, sure; he still doubted she was drinking anything else for the night, high tolerance or not. Logan brought out the bottle and ignored the glass, drinking long draughts that even his healing factor began to have a hard time keeping up with. The buzz was always too short-lived.

Minutes stretched into hours as the stars twinkled at him. Logan had ignored the rolling clouds for a while until he smelled the scent of ozone, heavy and surprisingly sharp. He looked up to see that the stars had grown considerably dimmer, obscured by the clouds, even blocking out most of the moon. The first drop hit Logan on the bridge of his nose, making him blink.

The thunder rumbled beneath his feet, shocking him in light of how high above the ground Yukio’s apartment was. They were only a couple of floors below the penthouse, but he still felt the barely restrained fury of Mother Nature stretching her wings. Storms didn’t usually whip up this fast, unless…

“Ororo…” Logan tossed aside his cigar stub and stumbled back in through the patio doors, bolting down the hall to Yukio’s room. His moment of gratitude that Yukio wasn’t occupying the same space, or the same bed, strangely comforted him; there weren’t two heads taking up space on the pillows.

But when he flicked on the lamp, Ororo wasn’t there, either.

Logan’s stomach clenched as wretched-sounding, rasping gurgle cut across his thoughts and shattered the silence in the tiny apartment.

Sounded like someone was worshipping the porcelain gods…Logan heaved a gusty sigh.

“Yukio?” He cringed as Ororo heaved again. Logan cursed his enhanced hearing first, followed shortly by his sense of smell. The fumes reached him, even through the closed door. Then again, in his lifetime, he’d smelled worse. At times, hell, even he smelled worse. Logan hovered by Yukio’s spare room door and nudged it open a crack.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz…

Friggin’ perfect…

Logan sighed again and gently swung the creaky bathroom door open. The unbridled aroma assailed his nostrils, but the worst thing that hit him was the look in Ororo’s eyes as she peered up at him from where her forehead was resting on the toilet seat. Her skirt was rucked up, barely uncovering the edge of her panties and exposing the garter clips of her fishnets.

“Whoa…” Logan reined in any lengthy commentary he could have made, deciding to save the lecture “ and he was planning on giving her one “ for when she was cleaned up and less fragrant. Her blue eyes were red-rimmed and watery as she pleaded with him.

“Logan? Can…can you make…the room stop…spinning?”

“My pleasure, darlin’, I’ll do my best.” Logan reached for the neatly folded washcloth hanging from the towel rack and ran it under the faucet, letting the water stay cold. Ororo shut her eyes on a pained grimace, and Logan fought against the feelings of sympathy. What the hell, a little lecturing now wouldn’t hurt. He wrung out the cloth and folded it, laying it over Ororo’s nape. She jerked at the press of cool moisture on her neck, then relaxed her shoulder muscles in relief. It didn’t last.

Logan leaned over and flushed the toilet, and the faint backsplash of droplets, coupled with the sudden, raucous whooshing noise, startled her and made her jerk backwards, plowing directly into Logan’s kneecaps.

“OOOWWWWWHH…”

“Gads…yer gonna make me carry ya again, aren’tcha?” Ororo peered up at him through her splayed fingers.

“…could you?” His smirk was almost devilish as he gently hoisted her up beneath her armpits to stand against him. She groaned again, exhaling fumes more noxious than a tiny holding cell he remembered being interred at in Madripoor once, this time at nose level, but Logan steeled himself and lifted her into his arms.

“Upsa-daisy, Boss.”

“Mmph. Used to…be…goddess. Did I tell you that, W-Wolverine?”

“Yep.” Logan headed to Yukio’s master bedroom and decided against turning on the light, since he didn’t really need it anyway. He was surprised to hear a steady drum of rain, coming down with so much force the sound reverberated through the windows. “That yer doing, kid?”

“Unngh.”

“Can I take that as a yes?”

“Had a dream…”

“Bad one?” Logan avoided taking liberties as best as he could and unhooked the clasp of her skirt, unzipping it and surveying it for stains. No spatters. Good. He liked that skirt and was glad nothing happened to it. The skirt’s owner was a different story…

“Th’ worst.” Ororo’s eyes were closed as Logan tried to shuck her clothes from her without jarring her, but her brows drew together in distress.

“Sorry ta hear ‘bout that. Explains that storm ya whipped up, though. Logan tugged at her garter belt, lifting the hook to better inspect it, then carefully unlatched it, letting it spring open. Ororo’s belly was flat, toned and brown, with faint impressions from the lace-covered elastic marring its smoothness, but otherwise, it was perfect. He tried to convince himself he didn’t give a damn, she was his friend. His team leader. A bossy, nosey frail. Sure don’t sound too convincing, bub. He peeled away the stockings and rolled them into a tidy ball, laying them atop her skirt. Logan considered her top for a moment, then drew his hands away from her. Strapless. Snug. That meant nothing underneath, which meant that he could consider his job done.

Ororo’s stomach had other ideas.

“HUUUUGGGGHRRRKLLL!” Ororo bolted upright, hands clapped over her mouth as she practically steamrolled Logan in her haste to return to the bathroom.

“GAAAH!” Missed him by that much, holy crap…but there was that stench again, just when the air had begun to clear. He needn’t have worried about Ororo’s bustier.

When he followed her back to the bathroom, he discovered that it was thoroughly ruined. “Dang, darlin’.” This time she shivered against the cool floor tiles, spent.

“Logan…if you’ve ever liked me at all, even a little…take me outside. I need…I need air.”

“Still rainin’ out there, unless ya wanna…”

“No.” Her voice was stiff but determined. “Take me. Now.” She gulped down a sob, and Logan bent to swab her face again with the cloth. He picked her up again in one easy swoop, clicking off the light switch with his elbow and heading back to the patio.

“Wanna robe?”

“Nnh-nh.” She shook her head. “Won’t need it. Gonna…take a shower.” Her meaning suddenly occurred to him, and Logan eyed the thunderclouds and pounding rain ominously as he opened the slider.

“But the bathroom…”

“My way.” She wriggled in his strong grip until he loosened her legs; she stepped gingerly onto the paved flagstones and stood on her own, unsteadily at first, but she fought his hands, stubborn as ever as she crossed to the rail. She leaned against it and let the rain give her a thorough soaking, gasping in the cool night air in hungry breaths. Logan watched her in awe. She was just elemental like this. Natural. Fierce. It might have been the whiskey that had a hold of his common sense, but Logan didn’t question the wisdom of letting a drunken weather goddess lean half-dressed over a metal railing during a thunderstorm, ten stories up. He just watched her and waited for the right moment to speak. She beat him to it.

“You had me worried this week, Logan.” He almost couldn’t believe his ears. “Very, very worried. You just left. No note, no calls. If my hair weren’t already white, then it would’ve turned gray.”

“Sorry about that, Boss.” Why was he apologizing? Who was supposed to be lecturing who?

“Logan…what happened at your wedding…”

“I know,” he grated out.

“It…hurt.”

“Yeah.” He turned away from her and leaned his palms against the patio door, closing his eyes.

“It hurt, to watch you. Hurting.” She turned to face him, her plume of hair no longer bobbing, instead slicked down against her scalp, but taking nothing from her appeal. “Your eyes, Logan…I couldn’t look into your eyes. So much pain there.” Her leather bodice was beyond salvaging now as the rain studded it hopelessly, but washed away the worst of Ororo’s indulgences. Logan heard her sniffle, and felt the winds pick up.

“Hey, ‘Ro…you okay?” His voice was shaky as he stood away from the slider and faced her.

“What happened hurt you. On the happiest day of your life. It was taken from you.” Against his better judgment, Logan edged himself closer, looking into her eyes, which glowed with intensity as lightning crackled overhead, illuminating the patio. The flashing light threw Ororo’s curves and shining skin into stark relief. “You loved her. She loved you.”

“I thought so. I believed it, for a while.” But the stabbing ache in his chest lingered, like sour milk. Ororo stepped away from the railing and slowly walked to him, hand outstretched. He didn’t turn her away when she grasped his hand and pulled him to her, wrapping him in an embrace that could only be called bittersweet. Logan almost never cried. So Ororo opened up the skies and let them, and herself, cry for him as she held him.

“You’re worthy. You’re worthy, Logan. Always. Worthy.” She whispered it like a litany into his dampening hair. It tore at him, both his need to believe her and to quit blaming himself, coupled with the fierce longing for her closeness. Her openness. Her goodness.

“Tell me about that dream, ‘Ro.”

Logan felt her body jerk for a moment, then almost smiled when he heard her self-deprecating chuckle. “It’s the least I owe you.” Ororo tugged Logan back to the railing, and they looked out at the city scape together, holding hands as they’d done so many times before. Harnessing her concentration, Ororo began to slowly tame the storm, slowing the winds until they no longer howled. Logan was soaked to the skin, but he was still numb from the last of his buzz.

“In my dream, all I could see was her eyes. I saw her pupils dilate, and saw myself in them as she saw me. Savage. Willing to kill.”

“Whose eyes, ‘Roro?”

“Cal’s. Callisto. She lives underground.” Ororo heaved a gusty sigh and tightened her grip on his hand. “She kidnapped Warren in the middle of the night. She’d maimed him. She cut off his feathers to keep him from flying away.” Her voice turned bitter. “I couldn’t bear it, Logan. She tried to cripple that bright, beautiful creature so she could selfishly keep him for herself. Don’t you see? If I…if I couldn’t ride the winds, Logan, I couldn’t live. And she tried to take that away from him. It made me want to go bloody.”

“I bet.”

“Then Kitty…got sick, an-and sh-she would have died. She would have let innocent, sweet child perish out of pride. For control. It was all about control.” Her voice hardened. “I don’t kill for control, Logan. But she forced my hand. I was goddess of my own people, Logan. I swore not to hate. I swore not to kill. And she took that away from me. And all I can see in my mind’s eye, and when I sleep at night are her horrid, hateful, hollow eyes. Right after I stabbed her in her cruel, black heart.”

“Is that what this is all about? This new look, this new hardness, ‘Ro?”

“That’s only a small part of it. Out in space, Logan…I died. I allowed myself to perish, and I took the life inside of my body with me. I nearly killed the Samurai. I didn’t mean it. My lightning just flew out from my hand, and it felt so good to release it! To let it all go, even though I could hear him screaming, Logan! I hear his screams, and see her eyes, and I hate… myself…” Her voice had reached a hysterical fever pitch but broke off as she collapsed against him, covering her face with her fists. “I can’t live with killing. I can’t bear the day, if it comes…that I can’t stop. That I won’t want to.”

“Ororo, listen ta me. Killing’s not you. That’s never been you. They call you Wind-Rider, and a goddess fer a pretty good damned reason. You bring life. You nurture it. You ease the land. You comfort the people and every creature that walks this friggin’ earth. That’s a big job fer one woman. That’s the way ya were made from the very beginning. Killing’s not in yer blood. It doesn’t whisper in yer ear. It doesn’t drive ya to the edge every waking moment and turn ya into an animal.” He emphasized the last word harshly, leaving Ororo no doubt who he was talking about. “Any time ya’ve ever raised yer hand in violence, cutie pie, it’s been ta save someone’s skin. That’s a testament ta how much ya sacrifice of yerself with every breath.” She moaned in protest, shaking her head against his shoulder. “You do, ‘Ro,” he argued.

“Ororo…I know Yukio talks a big game. Makes losing a little control sound pretty tempting. Maybe she even makes it sound fun. What ya need ta take away from this is that even you can’t keep everything bottled up. Ya need ta feel. And ya need ta quit actin’ like it’s wrong ta feel what’s in yer heart, even when it ain’t something ya wanna accept.”

“Ohhhh.” She sniffled loudly and drew back from him. “This has really got to stop. You’ve done nothing but pick me up off the ground since you laid eyes on me tonight.” Her cool mask was back place, and Logan smoothed a lock of hair that had plastered itself over her eye.

“That service don’t come without a price, darlin’. We’ve really gotta talk about this new drinking habit of yers. You’ve barely gotten yer lips wet with the occasional sip of wine since I’ve known ya, so it’s no wonder Yukio drank ya under the table.”

“I suppose you’re about to offer me your sage advice.”

“Yep. Ya had this comin’ once I scraped ya off the floor and carried ya home.” Logan tugged her over to the dripping chaise lounge and sat down, leaning back and tugging her onto his lap. She laid back against his chest, snuggling up as she reduced the rain to the merest mist and warmed the air.

“Rule number one: No mixing. That’s just askin’ fer trouble. Rule number two: Never forget Rule Number One. Rule Number Three…”

The sunrise found them two hours later in a peaceful, dreamless sleep. Yukio’s bellow woke them after she staggered into the bathroom and was greeted by the stench. Logan smiled.
That’s Where You’ll Find Me by OriginalCeenote
Steam rose and billowed from the nearly scalding spa, lightly scented with lavender and eucalyptus. Kenuichio eased himself into its depths, hissing out a sharp breath at the temperature; the shock faded as his muscles began to unknot and relax. Beneath the water, he flexed and unflexed his fingers in an attempt to ease the spasm in his forearm left from wearing a plaster cast and sling. A faint grimace twisted his heavy but chiseled features, making the puckered skin of the scar over his eye bulge unbecomingly.

Kenuichio stretched and sighed in the near silence of the suite, listening to the water drip from the jets.

“Want some company, lover?” He slowly swiveled his head toward the deep, indolent voice beckoning to him from the doorway.

“What do you want, woman?” His voice was hard, but his sable brown eyes roamed her body, draped enticingly in a emerald green silk robe. Her stiff nipples poked out, straining against the cloth. Her gait was graceful as she sauntered over to the tub, setting down the wide tray in her hands.

“What else? I want to make you an offer.”

“You’re offering me something I’ve already had.” She reached for the empty pitcher by the edge of the tub and dipped it into the steaming water. She poured it over his knotted shoulder muscles and sluiced some over the back of his neck. He sighed in contentment as he regarded her.

“You’ve already had your revenge against your half sister’s consort? And the witch who nearly killed you? My apologies, then, love.” She set down the pitcher and began to rise to her feet, but Kenuichio caught her by the wrist before she could straighten, nearly pulling her into the tub.

“Explain yourself, Viper.”

“We’ve found them. Wolverine and Storm have been sighted at that miserable little ronin thief’s apartment. We trailed them back from a nightclub last night when they were picked up by the security feed.” His grip on her wrist was still firm but less painful as he studied her, looking for any clues of deceit.

“You know what happens to those who lie to me,” he said simply.

“I left you the security tape upstairs. Feel free to watch it when you finish your soak.” It wasn’t lost on him that she didn’t claim an inability or unwillingness to lie. “Relax, my love. Rest, regain your strength,” she purred, running an errant fingertip along his broad jaw. “You’ll need it soon.” He rumbled his agreement as he reached for her, untying the fragile sash and letting her robe fall open and slip off her shoulders. He raked his eyes over her flesh. “You’ve licked your wounds long enough.”

“Watch your tongue,” he warned. He was still sensitive about the scar.

“Why don’t I put it to better use?” She lifted his hand and laid it against her cheek, encouraging him to stroke aside the soft fall of greenish-black waves of hair. Kenuichio closed his eyes and explored the contours of her scarred cheek, becoming acquainted with the damaged tissue by touch. He opened them again, meeting her gaze before he let his hand drop to her breast. He cupped it and kneaded the nipple until it turned a rosy pink.

Wounded animals, the pair of them.

“I want the gaijin to pay,” he grated out. Viper’s fingertips brushed his lips fleetingly. “I want him humiliated before I take his life. I want him to lose everything he loves and see that I was responsible.”

“You will.” Viper’s stomach fluttered as he nipped her fingertip, almost painfully. “I promise you, my warrior. You will.”

“I’m not ungrateful for your help thus far.” Kenuichio rose up onto his knees, letting the water sheet off of his rippling pectorals and taut stomach as he reached for her, gripping her shoulders and pulling her into the tub with no ceremony. Her laughter was cut off as he punished her with a bruising kiss. “But the killing blow is mine, woman. He dies by my hand, my sword. My honor, and that of Clan Yashida, demands blood.”

“And what of the weather witch?” She gasped as his fingers parted her, plunging into her roughly.

“When I’m finished with her, you may do with her as you wish.”

*****

“How do you like your eggs, Storm?” Yukio cracked two eggs deftly, jumping back as they sizzled and spit in the bubbling oil. “Storm? Stooorrrmmmm…helloooo?”

“Errrgggghh.” Ororo’s voice was muffled by the throw pillow that she hugged against her head, blocking out the harsh glare of sunlight streaming in through the patio.

“Can I take that as a no?”

“Ergh.” Ororo’s hand lifted weakly in a wave of dismissal.

“Remember what I told ya about mixing?”

“Told me…too late, you blasted man.” Logan’s grin widened as he met Ororo’s gaze, what he could see of it. Her cerulean eyes were narrow, wincing slits peeking at him from beneath the pillow as she glared at him like a disgruntled kitten fresh from a flea bath. Logan’s chuckle was rusty but low; oversensitivity to light was one thing, but he wasn’t going to take his life in his hands by being too loud when she looked at him like he was an easy target.

“Two overeasy for you, Logan-sama.” Yukio flicked hot oil over the tops of the eggs, watching the surface of the yokes turn an opaque, milky yellow. She handed him the Bloody Mary that she’d fixed him, chucking in a stick of celery.

“Don’t need the roughage, babe.”

“Eat your veggies; wouldn’t wanna stunt your growth.” Logan sat on the other end of the couch and relaxed with his drink and suffered another withering look from Ororo as he lifted her feet up to make room. He smiled at her anyway, and surprised her by laying her tootsies in his lap, massaging them gently. Ororo sighed in relief; they really had taken a beating in those bloody boots. She adjusted the pillow and tucked it behind her head, then glanced at Logan’s drink with a faint scowl.

“Isn’t this one of those rules you were preaching to me last night?”

“This is an exception to the rule. Sometimes ya hafta take a hair o’ the dog that bit ya.”

“Don’t listen to him. He’s got a healing factor and doesn’t follow the rules most of the time, anyway.”

“Henh, henh, heennnhh…” he pantomimed, raising his glass on a salute before taking a generous sip. “Used enough tomato juice, didn’tcha?”

“SOME tomato juice, Logan-sama. It calls for some.”

“I hate bringing this up,” Ororo began, rubbing her temples, “but I feel at a bit of a loose end. I came here to find you, Logan, so I could check up on you.”

“So ya found me.”

“Mmmmm. Now, the question remains, what do I do with you?”

“Who says ya hafta ‘do anything’ with me? What d’ya wanna do, drag me back to Chuck and One-Eye and act like everything’s fine?” He drummed his fingers against her toes, somewhat impatiently.

“The Professor understands why you needed some time away, I’m sure.”

“Then he probably understands why I ain’t comin’ back any time soon.”

“You’re not leaving for good.” Her voice stiffened, and it wasn’t a question.

“I ain’t necessarily back fer good, either, even if I do go back. I got matters ta attend to here, ‘Roro. You on the other hand, missy, ain’t exactly at a loose end. From what ‘Elf told me, ya got more than just our team ta lead these days.”

“I think I made myself pretty clear as to who was in charge that night in the tunnels.” Yukio slid the eggs onto the plate and grabbed the toast as it popped up, tossing it back and forth to avoid burning her palms. She almost dropped it at the stern looks Logan and Ororo exchanged.

“When the cat’s away…” he reminded her. “Can ya really afford ta use the honor system with the same folks who kidnapped one of yer teammates, kid? Yer business is back home in Westchester.”

“It’s not just my home, Logan. If you’ve forgotten that, let me tell you again.”

“Save yer breath.” Ororo’s mouth worked like she wanted to say something else before she settled on shooting him a scowl that could sour milk. She jerked her feet from his grasp and stalked away.

“Ororo, don’t you want anything?”

“I want him to see reason,” she called over her shoulder. The bedroom door slammed behind her. Logan was left with the sight of her long, bare legs flashing beneath the short robe that Yukio lent her, as well as a faint draft across his lap where her feet had warmed him. Crap.

“Boy,” Yukio quipped, “she sure wants a lot.”


An hour later:

WHAM. Thud. Thud. Thud. WHAM. THWAP! WHAM. Thud. THWACK!

“Shit. She’s a natural with the heavy bag.”

“Who d’ya think taught her, eh?” Yukio grunted at him from beneath the well-loaded barbell as Logan spotted her. She curled her upper lip in concentration, brows furrowing and collarbones standing out sharply as she moved it cleanly, slowly above her chest. Logan steadied the bar, watching Yukio’s form and checking to see that her grip and balance didn’t falter, but occasionally his eyes flitted from Yukio’s sweat-drenched face and sweat triangle-patterned shirt to his very irritated friend. Ororo was giving the bag hell, using hand wraps instead of the standard issue gym gloves. Her footwork was nimble, and her shoulders rotated with liquid grace as she jabbed and drove on.

Thud. Thud. WHAM. Thud. WHACK!

“Think she’s still pissed off,” Yukio huffed.

“Eh.”

“What’re you gonna do about it?”

“Ain’t up ta me ta do anything about it. She wants ta be ticked, that’s her deal, she chooses ta be pissed with me. She chooses ta play mother hen ta the team. Don’t make much sense fer her ta try doin’ that with me. I’ve been doin’ what I do since way before she was in diapers drinkin’ her mama’s milk.”

“You think you don’t need mothering? Tell me another one, Patch.” Yukio’s arms shuddered slightly, and Logan tightened his grip on the center of the bar as she mustered one more lift. “You don’t look like it doesn’t matter.”

“’Scuse me?”

“You keep watching her like a bear protecting its young. So,” she grunted out, hissing at the knot in her quadriceps, “maybe you’re more worried about her.”

“It ain’t every day ‘Ro shows up at my doorstep looking like she raided a biker bar.”

“Admit it, you dig it.” Yukio was unapologetic.

“It took something big ta make her take a huge friggin’ leap like that. I know it ain’t just skin deep and something she did just ‘cause she was bored.”

“Yeah, she wasn’t bored…” she muttered. “Who wouldn’t be if they were in her shoes? She was whining about that little munchkin giving her the cold shoulder at the wedding.”

“Kitty?” Logan’s voice hardened despite himself. ‘Ro never “whined.” Ever.

“Yeah, that one. What’s the big deal if the kid wants to act all snotty?”

“It’s a big deal ta ‘Ro.” Yukio shook her head to indicate that she didn’t want to try another one, and Logan hefted the barbell back into the pegs. “Ororo’s been the next best thing that Kitty has to a mom since she came to the school. It wasn’t intentional. It just happened. Dunno if she told you this already, but ‘Roro lost her mom when their house collapsed. She was just a kid when it happened, so she grew up without her mother. She tries to put on a good face, and she succeeds pretty damn near all the time, but ‘Roro gives Kitty a lot of the love that she missed out on herself, and that Kitty’s parents aren’t around ta give up close an’ personal, with her livin’ away from home. Think about it, little ronin. How would you feel if the woman who was the only loving, constant and stable thing in your life just one day up and decided she wasn’t up fer it anymore? Bye bye, baby, Mama’s checkin’ out.” Logan sat on the floor beside the weight bench and took a long pull from his water bottle. “That’s how Kitty felt, ya could see it on her face. And Ororo felt it, too, sensitive little thing that she is, as though Kitty had punched her in the face and disowned her.”

“But Ororo isn’t her mother.”

“Hurts just the same.”

“I guess. I wouldn’t know.”

“Eh.” Logan eyed the rowing machine and reached for this towel, noticing that the gym was surprisingly quiet. The three of them had bumped elbows with the crowd of fitness warriors and jockeyed for space on the cardio machines as little as an hour ago, but now Logan found the near quiet unsettling. It made his hackles go up.

“I expected it to be busier right about now; wouldn’t a gym downtown like this get a lunch rush?” Ororo voiced Logan’s suspicions for him as he was about to take another chug from his water bottle. He strode over to the mat and handed her a fresh one, not envying her the cotton mouth she no doubt still had.

Logan opened his mouth to reply, but he was interrupted by a questionable sounding “BZZZZT!” and hollow click. “Didja hear that?”

“Hear what?”

“That sound. Almost like something was just shut off…” Logan looked up at the ceiling from where the sound seemed to come from, and his eyes fell on the video camera in the upper right corner.

The tiny red power light went off, and the automatic shutter over the lens swiveled shut.

“Storm?” His voice was low and steely, and Ororo nearly felt all of his muscles tense, even though she wasn’t touching him.

“What’s the matter, my friend?”

“Take yer wraps off an’ get behind me.” Yukio tossed aside the workout towel she had been trying her hair with and stood from the weight bench, a look of unrestrained glee and anticipation on her face.

“Why?”

“They might catch fire if ya use yer lightning.” SNIKT! Logan’s nostrils flared as he caught the menacing new scents of the corridor “ and above them, sons of bitches! “ tinged with the tang of metal. The overhead lights were extinguished, plunging them into near-darkness.

“Logan? I ““

“Don’t hold back, Storm,” Yukio growled.

CLANK! The grates over the air ducts dropped open as two men garbed in black leapt through the ceiling, brass knuckles gleaming under what little light that shone through the narrow windows. Four more sprinted out from the men’s locker room, making Logan wonder how long they’d been there. Damn it, old man, yer nobody’s amateur, ya shoulda been payin’ attention! Stainless steel shuriken flew like quicksilver across the suite. “I toldja ta DUCK, woman!” CLANG! TING! TING! Logan’s claws made a clean sweep, deflecting the deadly toys, but he grunted as one made its mark, glancing off of him and leaving a crimson stream in its wake.

“I heard you the first time.” Ororo reached for a nearby dumbbell and hefted it, tossing it toward the window. CRASSSSSSH! She sprawled away from the spray of shattered glass. “But I still need room to work.” Her eyes glowed white and the wind outside picked up, beginning to howl.

“I second that.” Yukio flung two ten-pound dumbbells deftly, catching the first assailant in the abdomen with an impact that nearly made him cast up his accounts. The other attacker lunged, plowing forward with his sai, his thrusts rapid. Yukio grinned at him as though he’d merely asked her to two-step. She played with him a bit, parrying and blocking his jabs, then decided to even the playing ground. He never even saw the throwing dart that she whipped out of the back of her waistband before it lodged itself in his cornea.

“YEEEAARRRGGGHHH!” She didn’t have time to savor that he’d been taken out of commission. The ninjas for hire were like ants; once you killed one, a pheromone signal went up to attract more drones to the feast. Yukio silently gave thanks that the day yielded more worthwhile fare than listening to Ororo and Logan argue within the confines of her tiny apartment…although that could be entertaining, too.

Ororo lost sight of Yukio amidst the hail of kicks and flying weaponry as she stirred the winds, pushing back the thugs that were still advancing on Logan. His hair whipped in the gusts, making him tingle as he gave in to his natural urge to fight, to maim. He bared his teeth in a feral snarl and began taking them out, feinting, punching, and letting his claws do what they were made for. Noses bled, bones crunched, teeth went flying and Logan earned more battle scars that would only leave their marks on his soul, when all was said and done. These boys were good. He was better.

Ororo wasn’t exactly a slouch.

A sable bow staff swung out; she ducked a mere hairsbreadth below its deadly arc, then swept the legs out from under her partner, catching him as he recovered with an elbow to his jaw. Weight benches were tossed at oncoming thugs, buoyed on Ororo’s currents. The scant sunlight streaming in through the window set her white hair ablaze as she stood, gathering lightning to her fingertips.

CRAAACCCKK!

“What the hell…?” Logan nearly missed being flattened by the thug as Ororo slammed into him, fist sparking and crackling with barely restrained ball lightning. His body flew, twitching and jerking, into two of his companions, colliding with them and throwing off their footing. BRAAKA-KOWWWW! Ororo began to work her way through the melee, summoning lightning from the sky and channeling it from her hands. For one fearsome moment that Logan knew would haunt his sleep, he witnessed Storm doing the unthinkable: She used her powers with ruthless intensity that rivaled his. And she was enjoying it.

That distraction nearly cost him. A bo staff was rammed into his ribcage, and he staggered back, claws extended. “Yer gonna eat that, jackass!” There wasn’t time to ponder Ororo’s motives. Yukio needed his help, even if she didn’t know it yet. Yukio let the momentum of one of her assailants carry him forward as she swung him into another, but missed a particularly mean-looking one coming up behind her, sai blade raised “

He needn’t have worried.

WHIZZZTT. THUNK! Logan felt the wind in the chamber pick up and whoosh past him with a bitter chill, almost stinging him as it added speed and impact to the shuriken flung from Ororo’s outstretched, trembling hand. Yukio dodged his falling bulk as he wobbled on his feet, clutching his throat where the blade opened his jugular. “Oh, ssshhiitt!” Yukio hissed. She grabbed the sai blade that clattered to the floor from his limp fingers and quickly dispatched him, stabbing him in the heart. He was dead before he even hit the floor. The winds died down, and Ororo’s eyes reverted to their customary blue, but remorse and rage flooded their depths.

“I killed him,” she whispered.

“Naw, ya didn’t, babe. Yukio did. Ya just saved Yukio from bein’ killed instead.” Logan’s tone was matter-of-fact and meant to stall discussions of the ramifications of what she did.

“Wasn’t any less than what they planned for you, Wind-Rider.” Yukio kicked her attacker in the ribs, allowing his body to roll over and exposing some of his flesh. She eyed the tattoos laddered down his forearms. “These guys are Yakuza, Logan-sama.”

“Very astute, little thief.” Yukio whipped around to confront the voice that was all too familiar, and full of menace. “They also didn’t come here alone.”

“Goddess,” Ororo huffed under her breath. “Viper.”

“Glad you remembered my name, weather witch. I haven’t forgotten you. And neither has a certain friend of mine. He takes exception to being electrocuted half to death, even on the best of days.” She stepped aside to allow the Silver Samurai to enter, clad in full regalia and armor, his hand resting on the hilt of his katana blade.

“I can speak for myself, woman.” Kenuichio sneered with unfettered malice at Logan. “I’m surprised to find you here, gaijin, instead of camped outside my worthless half-sister’s doorstep.”

“M’iko’s worth more than the whole lot o’ you bastards an’ yer precious clan put together, an’ don’t ya forget it.”

“She was never worthy of the power she inherited from our father. It should have rightly gone to me.”

“Maybe the old man knew what was obvious ta me from the moment we met. Yer a big pussy in a shiny suit.” Viper kept her blaster trained on Yukio, assessing her as a useful bargaining chip since she had no powers. The fact that she despised her didn’t hurt, either.

“And you’re nothing but an animal to be slaughtered, who knows nothing of family honor.”

SNIKT.

“I might not know anything about family, bub, but I’ve got yer honor hangin’ right here.”

“You realize you won’t be walking out of here alive?” Viper purred.

“Suits me.”

Yukio’s blood sang in her veins as she back-flipped nimbly over fallen benches and eluded Viper’s blaster fire. She leapt up in the air and flung her darts aloft. TING! KTING! The Samurai acted as Viper’s bodyguard once again, reacting with customary speed and grace for one so large; his sword cleaved through the air, diverting them from their target.

“Are you insane, woman?” Static crackled in the air as Ororo ran toward her to back her up.

“You’ve been asking me that a lot lately, Storm.”

“Can you blame me?” Ororo aimed a blast of lightning at Viper, missing her narrowly as she teleported out of range. The bolt singed the wall behind her.

“UNNNGH!” Yukio struggled against Viper’s iron grip around her neck from behind when she rematerialized there to get the upper hand. Viper cocked her blaster at Yukio’s temple.

“Go ahead, try again, weather witch. Be as sloppy with your aim as you like.”

“Let me give her some room to work!” Yukio found the pressure point in Viper’s tricep and gave it a bruising pinch.

“AAGHH!” She released her grip around Yukio’s neck for only a second, but a second was all she needed. Yukio ducked and flung up her arms, clenching them against Viper’s head and flipping her over. “WHUNNNFF!” Her landing wasn’t pretty, but it was effective. She groaned low in her throat and reached for her blaster, which had been flung free. Yukio wasn’t having it.

“Uh-uh-uhhh, it’s not polite to point those things at people. You could use some manners.” The women grappled for the blaster, drawing the Samurai’s attention away from Logan.

“I could say the same about you, ronin.” There was a loud thrumming as the Samurai’s blade came alive with energy, throwing off an eerie yellow glow. He lunged, sword raised over his shoulder, and nearly took Yukio’s head off in a clean sweep. She reached again for the fallen sai, abandoning her bid for the blaster, and moved to counter his move. To her dismay, the prongs of the sai were shorn neatly off the handle when it came into contact with the blade. Yukio’s eyes widened. Death, she wasn’t afraid of. A gory death was a slightly different story. She didn’t like that look in his eye beneath the visor of his shining helmet. There was no soul there. None. Yukio had gotten the best of him once before when she caught him by surprise.

Logan had already learned this lesson, to her relief. Almost soundlessly, he came up behind the Samurai and raked his claws across his back. His armor made an ominous sound as it weakened from the strike. The Samurai grunted in annoyance and swiveled around to return the favor, craving Logan’s blood.

The two gladiators faced each other and matched metal against metal. The Samurai’s field held its integrity against the onslaught of Wolverine’s claws, and he wielded it with years of experience, swinging it confidently, and drawing first blood. Logan reached up and gingerly fingered the deep cut beneath his eye and never stopped glaring at Kenuichio as he tasted the precious ichor, knowing it wouldn’t be the last. Logan’s muscles rippled and stretched, savagely, poetically beautiful as he fought. The Samurai’s armor had been fortified since they last met, but whatever substance it was made from was still lightweight enough not to hinder his movements. The Samurai feinted and lunged, measuring the distance between him and Logan’s nine-inch claws. More blood was drawn, and after a while, Logan couldn’t say whose was whose.

All he could see was red.

“Logan…” Ororo fought against crying out, not wanting to distract him. On the floor, Viper scrabbled for her blaster. “Yukio, she’s reaching for her gun!” Yukio dug her sneakered heel into Viper’s back and kicked away the blaster.

“Bitch!” she spat. She reached into the belt of her snug green flak jacket and extracted a small red-tipped dart. Her aim was true, to Ororo’s horror. Yukio was hit, and she staggered back momentarily, her eyes dazed at the tiny object lodged in her shoulder.

“Whuuuttt…” Her eyes rolled back as she collapsed.

“NO! YUKIO, NOOOOOO!”

“It’s a fast-acting blowfish toxin that targets the nerves. Yukio’s still in there, even if she can’t consciously react. But she can hear me. And she can feel pain.” Viper’s smile was of course, venomous.

“She’s not the only one who can feel pain.” Logan felt an uneasy sensation crawl up his spine as the air was again charged with electricity and the winds once again picked up. But this time, the air in the chamber was so cold it stung his exposed, perspiring flesh, biting into his cuts. “Logan, find something to hang on to! Use those blessed claws of yours, for Goddess’ sake!”

Ororo created a mini-tornado, complete with hailstones that howled loudly enough to rival the rumbling of a freight train. And she sent it hurtling straight for Viper. “Get away from my friend.” Ororo’s voice dripped with acid as she swept Viper up into the maelstrom. Viper was buffeted about by the gusts, tossed with abandon into various gym machines and weights at random. She held her arms futilely over her face to ward off the hailstones as big as quarters, and to protect the unscarred side of her face. The Samurai found himself blown back but stood his ground, partly anchored by his armor.

“Let her go!” Kenuichio ran at Storm, retrieving three shuriken from his belt, and he sent them spinning toward her, while she was completely vulnerable and concentrating on the gale. Logan only saw her look of shock as two of them found their mark, and she stared down at the shining metal spikes protruding from her chest and ribcage. Her eyes gleamed and rose to meet Logan’s, pleading with him. The winds weakened again but were still strong enough to fling gym equipment up against the walls. The Samurai took the open window of opportunity to catch Viper before she could suffer any more harm, wincing at the welts and reddening skin that bordered on frostbite.

“Get us…out of here. T-take us a…souvenir.” Logan’s sharp hearing picked up her breathy whisper, but his eyes were riveted on Ororo as he rushed to her side.

“RO?” The whites of Logan’s eyes were visible as they bulged in disbelief. Ororo’s blood oozed in a thick flood from the wounds as she sank to her knees.

“As you wish.” Kenuichio hoisted Viper up into his arms and knelt by Yukio’s listless form. He grasped her wrist and activated Viper’s teleportation ring. In a blinding flash, they were gone.

“Shit,” Logan hissed. “Shit. Shit, shit, shit. ‘Roro? C’mon, darlin’, talk t’me, please, stay with me, babe. Please, ‘Ro.” Ororo sagged into his grip as soon as he touched her, falling against him as she struggled for air.

“He took Yukio…unnnggh. Hurts,” she gasped. “Poisoned her.”

“That’s why they call that bitch Viper, kid. ‘Roro, we’ve gotta get outta here. NOW.” Logan wiped away a fleck of blood that had splashed up onto Ororo’s satiny cheek with a trembling hand. His touch was gentle, and Ororo ached with the distress and desperation written on his face.

“I might just…have enough strength…to carry us both, my friend. Could you move us away from that wall?” She nodded weakly to the one behind them. His brows beetled together as he obeyed.

“Why d’ya need-“

SHRAAKKKA-BOOMMMMM…CRACK! Lightning sizzled and struck the brick wall, pulverizing it and sending splinters and shrapnel spraying across the concrete floor. Logan looked up from the rubble and felt the breeze blowing freely upon him through the now gaping hole.

“Holy crap,” he muttered.

“Pick me up and hold on tight. Plenty of “ OWWWH! “ time to lecture me later.” Logan cradled her in his arms like a sleepy child and stood at the edge of the wall’s remains, and nearly lost his lunch as Ororo’s winds swept them neatly into the sky.

“I know this’ll seem a little awkward, ‘Roro, but take us to M’iko’s.”

Ororo’s voice held a note of caution and understanding. “Are you sure, Logan?”

“She and I ain’t on the most comfortable of terms right now, darlin’, but she ain’t one ta turn away a body in need.” Her sickly gray pallor urged him to believe his own words.
If I Only Had a Heart by OriginalCeenote
“Lady Mariko?” Soft footsteps brushed against the hardwood floors as the fragrance of green tea filled the elegantly appointed suite. “Where you would like me to leave this for you?”

“On the side table is fine,” she indicated, nodding to it. “Thank you, Keiko.” Her smile was gentle and serene, one of very few that she’d allowed herself over the past few days. Mariko’s serving attendant bowed low and backed out of the room, closing the door softly behind her. Mariko poured herself a cup of tea and gazed out through the wide patio doors, watching the clouds darken and swell. It was late spring, too late for thunderclouds to be rolling across the sky. Mariko shivered inside her indigo silk blazer as she sipped her drink, wondering why it felt like someone just walked over her grave.

The winds picked up, making the trees surrounding her estate sway and toss and bringing a kiss of dampness to the air. Mariko’s reverie was interrupted by strident male tones at the front gates. She furrowed her brow and strained her ears to distinguish the voices, counting them. She set her cup back on the ornate silver serving tray with a clatter when she recognized the loudest one, the foreign accent and thunderous growl a dead giveaway.

“Logan-sama?” she whispered. The past week had finally been quiet. Almost too peaceful. Mariko had silently held her breath, waiting for another heated outburst. Another argument that left her bleeding and stinging inside, the memory of Logan’s eyes, wounded and furious over her rebuke, burned into her dreams at night. The weight on her heart was matched by the empty space on his pillow. Even though the bedding in her chamber was washed daily, the pillow, even out of its case, still held his lingering scent.

She fell asleep each night clutching it to her cheeks.

Relief that he hadn’t abandoned her, even though he would have been justified, battled with trepidation and gathered her stomach into a fist-sized knot. The need to look into his face again spurred her footsteps into the foyer. Her houseman hurried alongside her, racing to bar her from answering the door. “Lady Mariko, please, let me handle this. I don’t want you to suffer any distress from his intrusion…”

“I know that. Truly, I do; and I know you are just doing your best to protect me, and I appreciate it. But if things had been different, you would have served him as you do me.” Her voice was firm. “I will let you know when it is time to show him the way out. In the meantime, you will accord him the respect of the most honored guest. Step aside, Masao.” His lips tightened briefly before he bowed to her.

“At least allow me to show him in for you.” Mariko nodded and stepped back, letting him unbolt the locks and turn the brass handle. The chaos and clamor that greeted her left Mariko stunned.

“You have no place here, gaijin!”

“Ya picked the wrong day fer this shit, bub! I ain’t got time ta mess with ya right now, can’t ya see this lady’s on her last friggin’ leg?”

“That isn’t Lady Mariko’s concern.”

“Anything that concerns Logan, concerns me.” Mariko’s light, clear voice rang out across the courtyard. Her gut twisted at the sight that Logan made, covered in deep scratches and bruised from head to foot, his dark sweats torn and soaked in even darker patches of something suspicious. What froze Mariko in the doorway, however, as Logan made his way up the front walk, was the sight of Ororo Munroe, pale, dazed and limp, sprawled unconscious in his arms. Blood flowed unchecked from a wound below her collarbone. “Logan-sama…Ororo?? Blessed ancestors! Who did this to her?”

“Time enough ta explain it once we get inside,” he huffed, staggering beneath Ororo’s weight, more due to her dangling limbs and the precarious way she was balanced. His own wounds were healing, but they didn’t tickle. “With ‘Roro in this kinda bad shape, the weather ain’t gonna be fit for man nor beast pretty soon. She needs help.” Logan swallowed, eyeing Mariko with cautious eyes, pleading silently with her. “I need yer help. Please.”

“Of course. You have but to ask.” She said nothing of his visits and the harsh words exchanged between them; this wasn’t the time. “It’s not safe for you both to stay out in the open; someone could see. Many eyes are upon the comings and goings of Clan Yashida, Logan-sama. That much hasn’t changed.” She stood back and flung the door open wide. “Bring her inside, quickly.” Mariko clucked over them like a mother hen, beckoning to Masao, “Call the physician immediately. Prepare the guest suite upstairs, and fetch Logan some towels and a change of clothing.”

“Forget about ‘em. I ain’t leavin’ her.” Logan wobbled slightly but held fast to his precious burden, his eyes glazed with exhaustion and worry.

“You’re barely standing, you’ve been hurt!”

“I don’t give a shit!” Of course he didn’t. Mariko sighed heavily. She swept her hand in a graceful gesture.

“Then come sit down. Before you fall down and reopen her wounds. Keiko, bring us some blankets, please,” she called. “And you come with me.” Mariko lead the way, wishing again for who knew what time out of how many that week that things were different, that she could just fight her way through the thick and heavy bitterness between them and hold him. Love him, kiss him, and never let him go. But she held herself steady, calm and aloof, motioning to a high-backed mahogany chair. Logan grunted his assent and sat down, cradling Ororo on his lap. She groaned in complaint at the shift of position, and her fingers clutched at the tatters of Logan’s blood-soaked shirt.

“Uuurrrggh…huuuurrtsssss.”

“I know, darlin’, yer gonna be okay, just stay with me.”

“Logan…don’ worry…about me, jus’ save…Yuki’, she needs you. Vi-per, she wants to…to hurt ““ Ororo’s chest spasmed painfully as she coughed and choked.

“Easy. EASY. Don’t talk, darlin’, ya ain’t gotta tell me twice. I know. M’iko, where’s the damn doctor? I can’t drag her into a hospital like this, it’ll draw too much attention…”

“I know, Logan-sama. This isn’t the first time someone’s crossed my doorstep nearly at death’s door. This house has seen its share of blood. Masao, take her upstairs. Logan, you can follow him up.” Logan’s ears twitched at the sound of an engine outside cutting off abruptly. He snarled as Mariko’s houseman reached to take Ororo from his grip.

“Logan.” Mariko’s voice held a hard edge. “Let him take her. She’ll be in good hands. Rest now.” Her dark, fathomless eyes brooked no room for dispute. The damp, sweet weight of Ororo’s body was lifted from his lap, and his hands itched to hold onto her as Masao made his way upstairs with her. Logan stared after them, watching Ororo’s sneakered feet dangling and swinging around the corner of the hall before he heard footfalls on the stairs. The scent of her blood lingered with him, mingling with his.

“Who did this?” Mariko’s voice softened now, and her soft, delicate hand found his shoulder, stroking it to calm him. She didn’t shy away from the bloody streaks on his skin, nor the bits of debris decorating his unruly black hair. She flicked away a bit of something that looked like rubble. The pebble clattered against the hardwood floor. “Viper?”

Logan nodded, then looked down at his shoes in shame. “She had help.”

“Who?” Mariko feared the answer as tingles of unease ran up her arms.

“Yer brother.”

Mariko was literally saved by the doorbell as Keiko let in the physician and his two assistants, beckoning for two more of her staff to help them bring in their equipment. They looked stunned when Mariko told them that the one that needed their help was upstairs, not the miserable-looking, haggard foreigner dripping blood in dining room.


**
The warm summer winds buoyed Ororo as she raced a large golden eagle to a towering ash tree. “Catch me if you can, slow coach!” she taunted, her gauzy cotton skirts fluttering as she swooped at it, chuckling at its startled screech. Ororo and her playmate dipped and dove through the air, the bird making sharp turns on its wingtip and doing its level best to impress Ororo with its stunts.

Ororo hovered above the tree’s branches, content for the moment to catch her breath and admire the countryside. Everything was more beautiful from up here, from the emerald green of the new spring grass, to the pristine hills and placid creeks. Ororo looked up just as she began her descent, surprised to see that eagle return, flying full-speed to join her.

“I’m done playing, my friend. I must go home now.” Ororo sent a strong draft to buffet him and discourage him from following her. Suddenly, the gap between them narrowed and slammed shut as the eagle bore down upon her, seeming to grow larger the closer he came. Ororo’s eyes weren’t playing tricks on her; the majestic bird, whose wingspan rivaled the length of her own slender arms, had somehow grown and swelled, his shadow darkening the sky. His wings beat savagely at the air, whipping the air into choppy, careless currents and knocking Ororo out of her flight path.

“Bright Lady! Get away from me!” The enormous bird opened its talons and reached for her, diving for its prize.

“AAAAGGGGH!” Razor-sharp claws grazed her skin and shredded her flimsy garments, showing no regard for her tender flesh as the eagle gripped her, bearing her away. She struggled and swore, writhing in pain and outrage. The air was stolen from her lungs as the creature flew faster and higher than she would have taken herself. His wings beat the air as he wheeled them away from familiar territory. “Stop!”

Ororo felt his hunger vibrating through his downy feathers and sinew. The eagle’s eyes were cruel and dark as they raked over her, watching her struggle without an ounce of pity. The predator never sympathized with its next meal.

The sun was too hot. Ororo concentrated on cooling the winds and gathering the clouds over the blazing orb to shut out the unrelenting glare, but the drafts and gusts blew gusty and hot, whipping her cheeks and hair, chafing her. Her skin prickled and stung as the eagles claws shifted her in their grip, scratching her again. She could smell the faint tang of her blood and knew it was enthralling him, whetting his appetite. She felt the air being squeezed from her as his claws tightened around her ribcage. “Let me go! Please!”

His squawks and shrieks seemed to mock her.

Ororo’s eyes clouded white, flashing in warning as she stared deeply into those of her tormentor, and she shakily summoned a burst of lightning, aiming for the beast’s mighty legs.
“SSSQQQWWARRRRKK! AWWWWKK!” The eagle’s muscles spasmed and clenched, and his talons loosened their grip, reflexively wrenching and tossing Ororo free. Her neck nearly snapped with the momentum, but she sped away without grace or hesitation. Her control of the winds began to wane, however, and to her horror, she began to plummet. The ground rushed up at her, and the unfeeling winds whistled in her ears. Her skin still burned; the hot gusts created friction in her seeping wounds.

“NOOOOOO!”

“What are you crying about now?” a voice trilled in her ear. Ororo’s eyes darted to the source of the sound, unable to believe what “ and who “ she was seeing.

“YUKIO?!?” The ronin’s laugh was infectious and carefree as she fell alongside Ororo, arms splayed in abandon. Ororo scrabbled for Yukio’s wrist, attempting to stall their descent, adjusting the winds. It scarcely made any difference; Yukio’s laugh continued to bubble from her lips. Her eyes were shiny with tears caused by the tearing winds.

“Ya’ve gotta learn to let go, Wind-Rider. You can’t keep on living like this.”

“How?” Ororo could barely speak, and she strained to hear her next words.

“Being too damned afraid to die.” Something snapped inside Ororo, and for one insane, unbelievable moment, her laughter mingled with Yukio’s, and she held onto her, literally, for dear life…

…until Yukio’s wrist was wrenched from her grasp. “YUKIOOOOO!” Ororo floundered for purchase, clutching at branches that slapped her hands, clawing at empty air, falling…falling…falling…

Landing in cushiony, black nothingness. Engulfed in it.

Drowning in it.

Ororo fought to scream, but no one could hear.

Fought to move, but felt nothing but oppressive cold and emptiness.

Fought to think…and came up with only one name.

Logan?


“Type and match everyone in the house. She needs blood.”

“That everyone better include me, doc.”

“You’ve lost too much blood yourself, already. Surely you’re joking.”

“Does it look like I’m jokin’, bub? Don’t worry ‘bout me not havin’ enough blood. Keiko, darlin’, could ya grab me a beer? All I need ta do is fortify myself.”

“Come away, Logan. Let them work.”

“I’m stayin’ right here.” His voice was brittle with exhaustion and stubborn as a mule’s.

“Start a line of saline.”

“Damn it, whoever did this barely missed her artery. She’s lucky to be alive.”

“Naw. She’s just damned stubborn. That’s why she’s the boss.” No one questioned this.

“Fifteen blade. Her pressure’s better than I expected.”

BIP…BIP…BIP…BIP…Logan’s eyes were glued to the tiny red, flashing chevron shape of the heart monitor, watching it wink in and out rhythmically, doing precious little to reassure him that she was still alive. A steady, pounding rain pelted the windows, rousing Keiko to adjust the thermostat; before she could draw the blinds, Logan gruff rasp stilled her hand. “No. Leave ‘em open.”

If Ororo woke up…when she woke up, she’d want to see daylight. Or the stars, if it took that long.

Logan’s gaze swept the interior of the suite, stunned at how short a time it took to turn the sumptuous master bedroom into an impromptu surgery suite. The smell unnerved him the most. His enhanced sense of scent was awash in the metallic, yet strangely sweet tang of Ororo’s blood, first and foremost, and his hackles were still standing on end. It had been an ugly fight. Yukio was wounded and taken hostage, at best; or at worst, considering Viper’s penchant for torture. And Ororo was fighting for her life after defending his. Damn her. Friggin’ stubborn frail…why’d she have ta step in where she wasn’t needed? Where she could get her sweet little tail killed? It was his fight. His axe to grind.

What rankled the most was that he’d stayed in this blasted country to protect the woman he loved, regardless of the fact that she wanted no part of him anymore. And his best friend “ it gnawed at him, that she’d come to mean that much to him, even if he’d never admit it out loud “ was being carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey by following his own shitty example. She did it to protect him. Logan laughed harshly to himself. The physician’s assistant peered at him over the edge of the surgical mask with no small amount of rancor at his inappropriate humor until he saw the set of Logan’s brows, his tense white knuckles as he clawed at the ripped remains of his sweats.

The faint hiss of the oxygen tank, coupled with the heart monitor and the physician’s low instructions created a mood of concentration and blanket of white noise as the backdrop to Logan’s black thoughts. “If only’s” reared their ugly heads and mocked his pain. If only he hadn’t picked that club to drown his sorrows. If only he hadn’t broken up their little tiff on the sticky dance floor. If only he’d tucked tail and slunk home to Westchester. Home. Westchester was his sorry excuse for a home…with all of the other misfits. No wife, no dog, no picket fence made with his blood, sweat and tears. All that was left was blood, tears that he wouldn’t cry, and scrambled memories of things he’d do better to forget.

Logan’s hearing picked up bits and pieces of the conversation from Mariko’s housekeeping staff as it drifted up the stairs.

“What kind of fool’s errand was he on, to show up here in such shape?”

“How does he think he can protect the head of the Yashida clan, if he cannot even keep his companion safe?”

“Did you see her HAIR? How did he carry her so far, she towered over him by nearly a FOOT!”

“He just sits there; I cannot bear to go up unless I’m told to, all that blood…it’s horrible. And still he stays, by her side.” This was couched in a cluck of pity.

“This must be killing him.” Finally, someone hit the nail right on the head.

“Haven’t you better things to do than waste time gossiping in the kitchen? Keiko, please bring fresh linens into the blue suite and also prepare a dinner tray. Our guests will be staying the night.”

“My lady…is that wise?” Masao sounded like she’d just asked him to swallow cyanide. “What if the same people who did this to them track them here? They could come after you ““

“You forget who he is.” Logan winced. He. Not “You forget who my husband is.” Never that. He took what consolation from her next words that he could. “To threaten that which Logan holds dear is to take one’s life in their hands.” It wasn’t just that she had more faith in him than he had in himself. She acknowledged that she was something that he held dear. So he told himself…

Logan longed for a cigar and more of Yukio’s precious supply of Jack Daniels.

BIP…BIP…BIP…BIP…BI-WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…

Logan’s entire body jerked out of his chair as though someone stabbed him with a cattle prod. “Oh, no. No. Nonononono…what’re ya doin’ ta her? Save her, goddamn it, SAVE HER!”

SNIKT!

“Charge the paddles, we’re losing her!”

“SUCTION! She’s bleeding out!”

“Ororo…hang in there, darlin’, yer scarin’ me, d’ya hear me?” Logan’s vantage point at the foot of the bed yielded a horrific site of Ororo’s still limbs studded with IV tubes and needles.


Ororo was wrapped in a cocoon of pain and panic beneath the rubble. Sparks from ruptured electric lines popped and hissed amidst the crumbled dry wall and concrete. Bleeding. That warm, sticky sensation that hurt a bit more with every labored breath.

“Don’t do this ta me, ‘Roro! Ya can’t do this! Kurt, Kitty an’ Petey’ll never forgive me fer lettin’ ya die on me! This wasn’t yer fight, darlin’! I’ll never be able ta live with this!” The rubble shifted beneath her; there was a deep rumbling from the ground, and Ororo mutely wondered if more bombs were dropping from the sky…

BANG! Logan’s fists slammed into the nearby wall, startling the attendants as the positioned the paddles.

CRAAACCK! Volts of electricity were discharged into her inert form. Her eyelids flickered a moment, but there was no change in the painfully shrill flatline.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe…

CRAACK! Another jolt was administered. The sound of the hose interrupted the siren as it sucked away another pooling of her life’s blood.

“CLAMPS!” The physician’s assistant adjusted the magnifying lens as he fought against time to bind the wound at its source. Ororo’s lips were dry and blue beneath the oxygen mask.

“ORORO MUNROE! Ya told me that ya used ta be a goddess, darlin’! This is it, it’s go time, babe, strut yer stuff! Prove it ta me that yer bigger than this!” Logan’s hands clutched at the protective tarp beneath Ororo near her feet. He didn’t touch her. He didn’t dare.

“Get him out of here!”

“YOU try to get him out of here!”

“BACK OFF, BUB!”


Mommy? Please…don’t leave me. Hurts. Can’t see you…make this go away. Make the dark go away, Mommy… Ororo’s pleading was interrupted by more rumbling, the aftershocks jarring her beneath the rubble, making it shift. Then, impossibly, the enormous mass of wreckage began to lighten; only incrementally at first. Then Ororo could move her arm…

…SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…BIP-BIP-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…

“Don’t leave us, ‘Ro! Yukio needs you!”

BOOOOMMMMMM…Logan’s eyes darted to the window. A flesh of lightning illuminated the swaying trees outside. Enormous raindrops slapped the windowpane, threatening to crack the glass. Downstairs, Mariko hugged herself as she stared out through the patio doors, praying for the life of the woman upstairs who’d shown her nothing but graciousness and friendship during their short acquaintance, hoping that future chances to further it weren’t ripped away from her. Mariko pondered for only a moment how Logan would be affected if worse came to worst, and shivered.

That ride was one in a million, Wind-Rider…

You’ve changed, ‘Roro. Ya seem different…

“RORO! Are ya happy now! I NEED YOU! I need yer friggin’ help, so quit just layin’ there and come back!!! I can’t do this alone! I CAN’T DO THIS WITHOUT YOU!”

“Set up another charge…” The attendant dropped the paddles as the thunder rolled across the sky, shaking the house to its foundation, and the lights went out, plunging the suite into darkness.

“NOBODY MOVE!”

“Holy…’RORO!”

’RORO!” The rubble shifted again, and Ororo watched the faint crack of soothing light sift through the hunks of wreckage. Relief poured through her, past the pain, past the choking grip that fear had on her heart. The voice was insistent, and so full of rage, but it was still the most beautiful, blessed sound she had ever heard.

Logan…LOGAN? Is that you, my friend? Help me, Bright Lady…let him hear me! LOGAN! Gathering the last of her strength, Ororo pushed against the edge of the rubble.

”I CAN’T DO THIS WITHOUT YOU!” Ororo’s breathing quickened, her heart leaping up into her throat. More light poured, liquid and golden, between the cracks of the debris as more of it was moved aside. Hands…his hands. She could see strong fingers tearing aside the heaps of brick and plaster, unburying her.

Freeing her.

Saving her.

Ororo’s eyes met Logan’s for a tenth of a second before her eyes glowed an ethereal, eerie white. Light was all she could see, bathing Logan in it until all she could make out was the dim outline of his features, twisted in relief, and the pointed, bellicose silhouette of his horned hair.

KRRAAAAKKOOOOWWWWWWWW-CRACK!

CRASSSSSHHHH!

“Get DOWN!” Fragments of glass sprayed from the window frame, almost in slow motion as it imploded, shattering into myriad shards, littering the suite. The lightning poured inside, reaching its limp target on the blood-spattered bed. The bluish-white light reflected off of the shards, turning them into diamonds as the electricity hit Ororo’s chest. Logan fell to his knees, writhing on the floor with his hands clamped around his ears. The thunder boomed in his ear drums relentlessly, battering his senses, but he clawed his way back to the bed. He wouldn’t leave her, wouldn’t let her do this alone…

“ORORO…HOLEEEEY…what’re ya doin’, darlin’?”

“This isn’t happening, this isn’t happening…” The physician stepped back from the bed, clutching his chest as though he would need the paddles next. Downstairs, Logan heard one of Mariko’s security guards bellowing something about the facility’s backup generators, but he ignored it, pulling himself up enough to peer back at Ororo.

ZZZZZZZZZAAKKTT! A second bolt hit her again, in the same location as the first, but to the awe of those assembled, there was no visible burn wound or scent of scorched flesh.

The entire house hummed back to life as the power came back on. Logan listened to the wind howl and the skipping, stertorous beat of his own heart as one set of track lights flickered back on, then the other. The heart monitor clicked back to life…

…and brought its patient back with it.

BIP…BIP…BIP…BIPBIPBIPBIP…

“What just happened?!” Masao ignored his earlier misgivings about entering the suite before he was summoned and crashed through the door, with Keiko hot on his heels.

“She’s back,” one of the assistants murmured, in total disbelief.

“We’re…we’re not finished. We need to close. Clear the debris from the wound. Start a drip of morphine.” The physician eyed Logan’s stark, bloodless face as he clutched the tarp and leaned over Ororo from the foot of the bed again. He drank her in, noting a faint twitch of her fingers. Her chest rose and fell shallowly, but evenly as the medical staff continued their work.

“And will someone please get this man downstairs!”

“In a minute. Don’t rush me,” Logan growled. He moved up to the head of the bed, glaring at the attending nurse until she stepped aside. “Just give me a minute.” He approached Ororo and reached for her, smoothing her hair from her face before he lightly caressed her cheek. He swallowed around an enormous lump in his throat and croaked out, “Glad ya decided ta stay with us, babe.” Her eyelashes fluttered and her lids cracked open.

“Nnnnnnngggh.” She frowned up at him quizzically before raising her arm limply, poking at the mask with her fingers. Logan looked at the physician, mutely asking for approval, and grunted at his answering nod. Logan gently lifted the oxygen mask from her mouth and watched her lips.

“Some-someone…has to watch out…for you, you blasted man.” The corners of her mouth quirked up into something resembling a smile. Incredulously Logan nodded, too overwhelmed to do anything else. He replaced the mask and stepped back.

“I know, darlin’, I know.” Logan let Masao lead him out of the suite toward the shower and fresh of change of clothes that were waiting for him.


A short while later Logan joined Mariko in the dining room. Keiko served him a piping hot bowl of fish soup thick with hearty noodles and a cold bottle of imported beer that Mariko still thoughtfully stocked for him, even though she really didn’t have to anymore. Some habits died hard. Logan’s hair was shining and textured with slick grooves from the wide-toothed comb that he raked through it while it was wet from the shower. Logan was dressed in an off-white linen shirt with a low mandarin collar and well-cut black gabardine pants with a knife-sharp crease. His soggy sneakers had been taken down to the laundry for a thorough wash and tumble; Keiko wore household gloves and carried them a foot out in front of her, cringing at the blood stains and odor of “wet feet” emanating from them. Both Ororo and Logan’s soiled and torn sweats had been disposed of, once they were outfitted accordingly.

Mariko allowed Logan to work his way halfway through his dinner before letting him know what was on her mind. “What you did was very dangerous and foolish, Logan-sama. I could have arranged to have Storm taken elsewhere; two mutants bleeding half to death on my doorstep will attract the wrong kind of attention.”

“Ya already managed ta do that, darlin’, without any help from me this time. Yer brother’s up ta no good. Viper came after me and Storm, I won’t deny that. But my gut feelin’s that she did it ta get us outta the way. She wants a clear shot at you.” Logan uncapped his beer and took a long, fortifying pull, wiping his mouth with the proffered napkin that Mariko dangled from her slender fingers. “That, an’ a little revenge fer trippin’ her up and messin’ things up when they came after ya before.”

“I’m not without security, Logan. I have my own people watching out for me. And my esteemed cousin, Shiro. He is aware that my brother and I have a bit of a…strained relationship right now.”

“Shiro made a big to-do about heading back to his home country to handle matters of ‘national importance.’ Said he was too good for Charley, our team, and Charley’s dream of ‘peaceful coexistence between humans and mutants.’ If he couldn’t waste his time with us, no skin off my nose. But what if he decides he’s too good ta help you, M’iko?”

“Shiro believes in family honor, Logan.”

“So do I. Even if things got in the way of us bein’ family, M’iko.” Logan set the beer down and leveled a grim gaze across the table, his dark eyes boring into hers. They weren’t cold eyes; beneath the fatigue making his lids droop and sag, Mariko still saw the regard and trust in their depths, and so much more. Even though it hurt to see it there. “I still love you, M’iko. More than my life. That hasn’t stopped. You told me…that I wasn’t worthy.” Logan’s eyes drifted down to his hands as he clenched and unclenched them on the table and toyed with his mother-of-pearl inlaid chopsticks. “Whaddya want me ta do for ya ta deem me worthy, Mariko?” He swallowed harshly, swallowing against the savory heat of the chili pepper and strong ginger that flavored the soup and lingered in the back of his throat. “How can I prove myself?”

“It isn’t up to you to prove yourself, Logan-sama. I have obligations to fulfill on behalf of Clan Yashida, including an alliance that we have been consigned to with the Yakuza.”

“They want yer blood, M’iko.”

“If they wish to honor our bond, they will not harm me and mine.”

“M’iko, they’re workin’ with yer sonofabitch brother!” BAM! Logan’s fist against the table rattled the beer bottle and soup bowl, making droplets of broth slop over the edge. His bushy black brows slammed over his eyes, and they were glittering at her with undisguised frustration. “They’re all over this. Those blades that doc of yers pulled outta Ororo belong to the Yakuza. They’re engraved with their marks. The thugs that attacked us at the gym were covered in their tattoos.”

“Kenuichio swore to me to honor my father’s name and agreed to a truce. He is a samurai. For him to act without honor…”

“I know samurai codes of honor. Don’t throw ‘giri’ in my face again, darlin’, I don’t wanna hear it.” Logan’s voice cracked. “What’s honor done fer me, except keep you from me?”

“If you have to ask, Logan-sama…then we shouldn’t be having this conversation. I cannot be your wife. I have obligations to fulfill. And you have made your promises already, in your new home, among your friends and family at that odd little school.”

“M’iko…I can’t just leave ya unprotected.”

“It’s not up to you, Logan-sama. But if you continue this conflict with my brother…”

“Conflict!” Logan spat.

“…if it continues, you will draw unwanted attention, Logan, and the men who came after you will be followed by many more. You cannot rain a trail of destruction and blood on our heads, Logan. Don’t bring that to my front door. Not if you love me as you profess.” Mariko attempted to take some of the sting out of her words, lowering her voice and laying her soft hand over his large one. She stroked his heated flesh, tracing the familiar, crescent-shaped scars over his knuckles with much tenderness. Logan drank in her scent; he detected a faint hint of jasmine and wintergreen, the crisp scent of starch used in her clothing, and the powdery sweet scent of her flesh.

“When this is over…”

“It will never truly be over, Logan-sama. You know that, better than anyone else.”

“M’iko…do you still feel any kind of…?”

“You know I do, my heart.” Mariko clasped his hand and didn’t let go as she rose from her seat, joining him. She bent down and cupped his strong jaw in her palms and kissed him sweetly and with great yearning. Logan shuddered with it, wanting to howl at what was being denied him, a fresh batch of “if only’s” flooding his consciousness. He was loathe to let her go as she tugged herself free.

“Within the next twenty-four hours you will need to decide where to go, Logan. Storm will need to go with you. I can offer you shelter and assistance if you need it…”

“But not a home.” Logan pushed his soup bowl away from him and retrieved his beer. “I hear ya loud and clear. I’m gonna check up on Storm. An’ then I’m goin’ out.”

Mariko bristled at his brusque tone and stiffness in his gait. She followed him as he stalked out of the kitchen. “Where are you going?”

“Out hunting.”



Elsewhere:

The waves of the harbor could be heard lapping at the docks, making the neat little rows of skiffs and fishing boats bob in the evening light. The noticeable, unmistakable scent of low tide wasn’t well received by the occupants of the large, locked boathouse.

“Smells like piss and dead fish out there.”

“Part of the ambience.”

“Fuck off.”

“Show me how.” His companion flicked his switchblade and grinned menacingly, showing off the gaps where he was missing teeth.

“We’re making enough on this job that you can pay some of the best girls in town to show you just that. If they’d touch your ugly carcass…”

“Shut up. Boss lady’s on her way in, don’t cross her, and whatever you do, don’t stare at her face!”

“How’s Sleeping Beauty?”

“Still making that weird little noise and twitching like a gasping guppy. They messed her up good.”

“There was hardly a mark on her; she had to be good to hold her own that long. Word on the street is she was that thief that did that job on the warehouse a few weeks ago.”

“The one that got torched?”

“Yep. Her and a tall broad with white hair, if you can believe that. An American in a barely-there black suit. Some of the boys said she’s one of those ‘X-Men.’”

“X-Woman. She’d be an X-Woman.”

“Who cares?”

“You’d care if she fried your butt with a lightning bolt. She almost took out the Samurai.”

“The silver bastard?”

“SSSSHHH, sssshhhh, shut up, SHUT UP; here they come! Look busy.”

The outer door was kicked open with no ceremony as two sets of footsteps thumped their way inside.

“Ya’d think a chick who used to work for HYDRA wouldn’t walk like an elephant.”

“Or a fully trained samurai.”

“Whaddya expect? Guy’s huge.”

“He’s a no-good mutie, too.”

“SHUT UP!” The interior door to the grimy sitting room was flung open, and Viper marched inside, dripping scorn and discontent. She wrinkled her nose in disgust.

“Pigs,” she huffed.

“Motherless dogs,” Kenuichio corrected her, leering at the Yakuza thugs as he kicked aside a discarded fast food carton littering the floor. “What’s the status on our guest?”

“Just gave her another dose of the venom. She’s not going anywhere any time soon.” The gap-toothed thug sneered back, paring the dirt from his fingernails with his switchblade.

“What’s the word from your network?”

“Some of our men saw the wind-witch and the hairy gaijin floating over the city, looking pretty jacked up.”

“She’s alive.” Viper gave Kenuichio a measuring look beneath her curtain of green hair.

“They haven’t turned up at any of the local hospitals.” And it had been fun wrangling that information out of the desk nurse. She’d screamed real nice. Another visit might be in order once she got off her shift.

“They wouldn’t. They would be too easy to trace. Logan can heal himself easily enough. Storm’s too memorable; he’d never keep her in a public facility. They have too much to lose.”

“They’ve already lost. I do believe, Viper, that it’s time to visit our houseguest and make her feel at home.”

“Especially since she’ll never leave.” Viper strolled through the filthy room to the back door and reached into her flak jacket pocket for a heavy chain of keys. She selected a large, copper-colored one and fit it into the lock, turning it with a sharp click.

The room was dimly lit, the only illumination coming from a low-wattage bare bulb in the overhead fixture. It flickered as a result of not being screwed in very tightly, casting an eerie glow on Yukio’s wan face.

The room was a hall of horrors.

Yukio’s eyes were closed, but her ears pricked up at the sound of familiar, dreaded footsteps thudding over the concrete floor. Her bare back was pressed up against the icy cold brick wall, her arms stretched taut and straight over her head, held in place by steel manacles. She allowed her head to hang limp against her chest, since it was all she could do. She’d given up on gathering the breath to scream hours ago. Even the nerves in her vocal cords were numbed by the venom.

The sickeningly sweet scent of Viper’s perfume held overwhelming notes of gardenia and something metallic, perhaps her own personal aroma of malice that she wore like a cloak. That was it, Yukio thought. She smelled evil.

Yukio’s eyes were half-lidded as her chin was jerked upright. Viper’s smile was full of vinegar and triumph.

“Wakey, wakey, little ronin. We’ve heard you aren’t afraid to die. You don’t know how happy that makes me. I plan on killing you slowly. And your former lover boy and little girlfriend will get here just in time to see you breathe your last. Isn’t that nice?”
Yellow Brick Road by OriginalCeenote
Downtown, at a familiar nightclub:

Logan swirled the remainder of his whisky in the thick, shallow cocktail glass and hummed along with the low strains of an old Johnny Cash classic. It was happy hour, and still early enough for the ID checker and bouncer not to be on duty yet, or for them to recognize him as one of the brawlers from the night before. Had the circumstances been any different, Logan would have savored the memory of a good bar fight over beer nuts and a football game in a smoky interior like this one. The taste of the whiskey palled at the recent memory of Ororo’s uneasy breathing as she was shifted and made more comfortable in the master suite. The physician left, leaving behind his attendant staff and the stern injunction that his services rendered that day were never, ever to be disclosed to anyone, particularly if the Yakuza were involved. It was bad enough endangering his medical career treating a fugitive, American mutant. Lady Mariko graciously escorted him out to his car just as the nighttime sky began to clear; the stars began to blink out from the receding clouds, assuring him that a large donation to the hospital’s foundation would be forthcoming, made in her father’s name. Mariko made a mental note to have Keiko send him a fruit basket later in the week.

Ororo’s words still echoed in his ears:

“Logan? Where are you going? We have to find Yukio…” Ororo’s voice cracked as she suffered another spate of coughing from trying to sit up too fast.

“Easy, darlin’, quit doin’ that, ya ain’t goin’ anywhere right now. And what’s this ‘we’ stuff?” Logan’s hand was gentle but insistent, grasping her shoulder and pressing her back into the thick pillows. Earlier, Ororo had been carefully rolled to the side to allow Keiko to remove the blood-spattered tarp and make up the bed with fresh sheets; the bedding had been stored with a sachet of dried rose petals and jasmine, and the light scent enveloped Ororo, soothing her as she studied her friend. Some of that desperate look had finally left his eyes, and he looked less haggard after his bath and meal, but Ororo noted the tightness and tension around the corners of his chiseled mouth.

“You can’t just leave without telling me what you plan to do, Wolverine.” Her voice was weak but held a hint of stubbornness.

“You plan on flying in ta kick Viper’s ass still hooked up to yer IV pole, darlin’?”

“Don’t patronize me, little man. You’re still an X-Man, correct?”

“Last I looked, that was the case; what’s yer point?” Logan straightened up to his full height, bristling and slightly indignant. She always knew how to get his goat.

“That makes me the boss. I lead the X-Men, and I can’t allow you to go off half-cocked, without hide nor hair of when you will come back, and without help.”

“I’ve been goin’ it alone since before ya were just a twinkle in yer daddy’s eye, Boss.” He cocked his thick brow as he emphasized the last word. “When we’re under Charley’s roof or out in the field on a mission, then fine, run my ranch from sunrise ta sun-up, babe, have at it. But this ain’t one o’ Charley’s missions. It was mine from the jump.”

“That was before Yukio was taken from us. That changed everything.”

“I know yer worried about her, ‘Roro…”

“I’m petrified for her, Logan. Worried doesn’t begin to describe it.”

“Look, I know ya’ve been gettin’ ta know Yukio a little better, Boss, and ya think she’s a friend, but she an’ I go way back. I know her old haunts and a bunch of her old connections around this city. I have ways of gettin’ folks ta talk.” SSSSNIKT. Logan slowly extended his claws, watching the overhead light gleaming against the cool metal blades. Ororo released a ragged sigh.

“More blood.” Her voice sounded almost resigned. Logan retracted his claws and rubbed the sore spots over his knuckles out of habit as he stared at her. Her intelligent, liquid eyes probed his, mutely pleading with him.

“Can’t be helped. Folks like Viper deal in bloodshed.” Logan reached for her hand that was lying in her lap and tucked it tenderly into his. He sat in the chair by the bedside and let his gaze roam over her, assessing her injuries. Ororo’s ribs were thickly bandaged, and he noticed that she arched her back slightly in discomfort, unable to settle herself without the stabbing pain stealing her breath. Blood no longer seeped through the deeper and heavier wound below her collarbone, but her flesh was still bruised, and her eyelids were decorated with broken capillaries from her self-induced attack of lightning bolts. Tiny scratches marred her smooth forearms from when the shards of glass hit her. Logan stroked the back of her hand with his thumb; her skin was cool and satiny to the touch. He caressed the scratches along her arm with his fingertip, soothing her while reassuring himself that she was still there, all in one piece, albeit the worse for wear. Ororo made a small sound of contentment, letting some of the tension in her shoulders ease away at his touch. She still wasn’t happy at the prospect of letting him hare off, but she realized that this argument could be the last discussion that they had together if anything truly went wrong.

“You shouldn’t do this alone.”

“Can’t afford ta stick around, ‘Roro.” Logan didn’t mention Mariko’s injunction that they not overstay their welcome and remove themselves from her estate as soon as they could.

“You don’t understand what it means to me to help you, Logan. We lost one of the students while you were gone to her madness.” Ororo stiffened at the memory. “Viper and the Silver Samurai blew up her stronghold in Big Sur, and Charles’ current class of students was caught in the blast. X’ian didn’t make it back to shore. Viper nearly killed Danielle, and Rahne was grievously injured by the Samurai. We were at an extreme disadvantage, both in being taken by surprise and letting her take one of our own hostage, and in not having your tracking skills to find her sooner. Before she could come here.” Her fingers tightened around his, drinking in his strength. “This isn’t just about saving Yukio. I want to protect the children, and I don’t want to fail them again. Just like I…” and she clamped her mouth shut.

“Ya didn’t fail anyone. Not the new kids at the school, and not Kitty, even if she’s a little upset with ya right now. Things’ll smooth over with time. ‘Roro, Kitty loves ya so much. When we get back, all ya have ta do is take her aside and talk to her.” Ororo’s lip quivered, but she didn’t break down. She gave him a shaky smile as she realized that he’d said “when we get back.” Logan felt a small pang that his absence had cost his team, and the students Ororo wanted to protect, so dearly.

“Wolverine…this isn’t finished. I came to bring you back. I know now that you have some unfinished business here with the woman you love.” Logan grunted, but held onto her hand. “I don’t want to leave you behind, even though it looks like I have no choice.”

“Nope. Ya don’t. And I don’t want ya stickin’ around waitin’ on me ta change my mind. It’s too dangerous. Even if Yukio makes it sound like sunshine and lollipops, livin’ on the edge like she does.”

“I lived on the edge much like that myself, once. Perhaps not leaping off of buildings, but I’ve picked my share of pockets and locks, and sometimes I didn’t know where my next meal would come from. Hardly sunshine and lollipops, but I envy her the freedom to live the life she chooses. She’s a special woman, Logan. I’ve grown very, very fond of her.” Her smile was weak but genuine, and Logan caught the hint of mischief in her eyes. Logan fought the urge to ask her just how fond.

“I can see that. ‘Ro…are ya plannin’ on growin’ yer hair back?”

“I like it!”

“It’s just…so drastic. When ya make a change, ya don’t do things halfway, do ya?”

“Our favorite little ronin convinced me that there was no point in changing my life and allowing myself to feel, and to live without such constant, strangling control just on the inside. The outside needed a little change, as well.”

“Why fix something if it ain’t broken?”

“That’s the point. I was broken, Logan.”

“Coulda fooled me.”

“You’ve been away a long time, my friend.”

“I liked ya just fine the way ya were, kiddo.” He smiled gruffly, softening the criticism as he lifted her hand to his lips. His lips drifted over her knuckles, steaming and nibbling them. Beneath her haze of burning aches and exhaustion, Ororo’s pulse quickened, and Logan felt it. An odd but irresistible warmth pooled in her stomach.

“Goddess,” she murmured, overcome. Her gaze locked with his. “I…I like you just the way you are, too.” She broke away, dropping her eyes to her lap. “And I want some means of knowing where you will be.”

Logan growled under his breath, “It ain’t like yer gonna follow me.”

“You’ll be busy tracking down my friend. I don’t see how you plan to keep me here.”

“Wanna bet?” Logan leaned down and closed in on her, breathing in her scent, close enough to watch her pupils dilate. The mattress sagged beneath her as he rested his hands on either side of her, boxing her in. Ororo’s pulse skipped again, but she didn’t back down. She met his look squarely, defiantly, jutting her chin like an unrepentant child. “I’m an old dog, ‘Roro. I’ve learned a few tricks.” Before she could speak, Logan swooped down and captured her lips in his. There were moments in life that just begged for one startling, vital kiss that set your senses on fire and made your blood run fast and hot.

This moment had “kiss” written all over it. Logan took his sweet time taking “one for the road.”

“Uuummmm…Lo…gan?” Logan tasted her, running his tongue over the seam of her lips, urging her to open for him. His tongue caressed hers with slow languor, and the taste became a feast of hunger and need. Logan felt himself go up in flames at the feel of her fingers curling into his hair, holding him close as she sighed into his mouth. No lemon martinis or sleepy murmurs this time, only Ororo, her soft lips and the twist in his gut as he remembered whose roof was giving them shelter. With a start, Logan broke away, collecting her hand from his nape very, very reluctantly. He laid her hand back in her lap.

“I…I’m sorry. I shouldna done that.” His fists clenched themselves as he licked the last taste of her from his lips.

“Logan, please don’t…don’t apologize.” Ororo picked at the bedspread’s hem. She looked back at him. “You were just saying goodbye. I understand.”

“Uh-uh.” He skimmed the backs of his knuckles along her temple, down the contour of her cheek. She leaned into his caress and closed her eyes against revealing too much of what she was feeling. “I was just sealing a promise. I’m comin’ back for ya, ‘Roro. That’s what friends do.”

“That’s what friends do,” she repeated. “Stay quick, my friend.”

And that left him here, chasing empty leads in a bar with crummy lighting and a glass of watered down whiskey in his hand. He relished the solitude, loner that he was. Pacing the floors for the past several hours, arguing with M’iko and feeling the eyes of her housekeeper and personal handlers boring into him made him want to climb the walls. It chafed him, and it drove home the irrefutable truth.

Mariko’s house, and her life, no longer felt like home.

Logan wondered how much of that gut feeling was due to Ororo’s taste, or that tiny little sound of yearning she made as his lips closed in on hers. He shook his head, berating himself. Not just a kiss. It was everything she brought into it. Loyalty, devotion, friendship…even partnership. She busted his chops at every turn and nagged him like a school marm, but how many times had he spent on the other end of one of her tongue-lashings, also within arms’ reach? That firm yet beseeching look was seldom delivered without a hand laid gently on his chest or shoulder, or without her hand clasping his in some way, even if it was just to stall his claws within their sheath. The so-called “untouchable” goddess was hands-on, something he’d grown used to and thankful for.

In her own way, Ororo made Charley’s “school” feel like “home.” Maybe even like a family.

“Nosey, bossy frail,” he muttered to himself.

A moment later, Logan felt the hairs on his arm rise and ripple the air beside him grew inexplicably chilled, like an ill wind. He breathed in the familiar and unwelcome tang of a visitor he knew all too well.

“I ain’t got business with ya today, Ogun.”

“You’re in my homeland, now, Logan-san. We play by my rules, and that makes it my business.” Ogun snaked over a barstool and barely leaned his hip against it, beckoning to the bartender to fix him his usual. His attire was similar to Logan’s but more elegant, his shirt cut in the same style but tailored from black raw silk. Black leather shoes with a high gloss shod his feet. His dark mustache was neatly trimmed and his nails were impeccably manicured. His dark eyes held a mixture of humor and malice. “I hear you’ve been making a nuisance of yourself at the Yashida estate.”

“All depends on who’s been doin’ the talkin’, bub.”

“”I have ears everywhere.” He prodded an ice cube in his martini with the toothpick skewering his green olive. “And other ways of knowing when something’s afoot.” Logan grunted. He’d known the spry old samurai for a long time, including his penchant for dark magic. Logan didn’t trust magic. “I felt a disturbance in the earth’s balance earlier tonight that interrupted my meditation, almost as though the sky were being split in two.”

“Rainier summer than we’re use to this time o’year,” Logan grumbled. “Ya got anything useful ta say? I ain’t got time fer idle chat, old man.”

“Old man,” he huffed, sipping his martini. “Look’s who’s talking, old friend. A little respect for your samurai master.”

“Ain’t my master any more, last I looked.” Despite his rebuke, Logan ordered their next round of drinks. Ogun’s black eyes measured him over the rim of his glass.

“Why are you looking for the Silver Samurai?”

“Got a score ta settle with him and the bitch he’s been slinking around with. Viper an’ I, we go way back. It wasn’t pretty. Tonight it just got uglier.” Logan took a drink of whiskey, even though he didn’t really want it anymore. It burned him more than the first; evidently the bartender realized his money was good after all. “They came after someone I care about, and they hurt my friend. I aim ta pay ‘em back. An’ I ain’t got time ta lose, sinkin’ a few with an old buddy, catch my meanin’?”

“Loud and clear. There have been murmurings of a foreigner running trade from the docks, not far from that old fireworks warehouse that went up in flames just weeks ago. Rumor has it she has green hair, can you imagine anything more ostentatious? Hardly the way to remain inconspicuous,” he pointed out.

“Yeah. She’s all about class.” Logan mentally catalogued the docks surrounding that old warehouse. Yukio mentioned something to him over breakfast “ while Ororo was sulking in the shower “ about a huge firebird looming over the factory following a shower of random lightning bolts and an explosion big enough to be felt across ten neighborhoods. One in particular stood out in his mind.

“Are you sure it’s wise to just walk in through the front door, old friend?”

“I’m a good houseguest. I don’t plan on overstayin’ my welcome.”

“It wouldn’t be wise to leave a calling card.” Ogun munched the olive thoughtfully. “Or witnesses, if you can avoid it. Clean deaths, Logan-san. With honor.”

As if there was such a thing…Logan nodded. He headed to the rest room without offering any goodbyes.

Once inside, Logan unzipped himself and made use of the surprisingly clean urinal and smiled at the lack of graffiti on the walls. More male voices drifted down the hall to him, pricking up his ears.

“Harada’s been sloppy lately; that gym job was a mess. Normally he’s quiet, and he runs with an efficient crew.”

“They were up against that hairy little gaijin, he goes by the name of ‘Patch,’ or something.”

“Does he wear a patch?”

“Dunno. Heard he’s short, and mean as hell. Has claws in his hands.”

“Claws, as in fingernails?”

“Nope. As in blades. Great big metal blades. Rumor has it, they’ll cut through anything. Gave Harada and his boss lady a run for their money. That gym paid their protection money already, so the Tin Man’s gotta lot to answer for. The whole weight suite was destroyed. Hole blown right through the wall. And get this: The whole room was covered in what looked like hailstones.

“Are you shitting me?”

“Go there, see for yourself. I’ve gotta head up to the security booth to check that feed again, and the spy eyes we have at the little ronin bitch’s apartment. She’s the only thing tougher than the roaches in that dump.”

“She’s not so tough now. Get any footage of the tall one in the shower?”

“You know it!”

The tall one. Little ronin bitch’s apartment. Hailstones. Logan sorted through the faint odors in the rest room that even the air freshener cones behind each commode couldn’t quite mask, picking out the two human scents headed down the corridor. He washed his hands with the watery excuse for soap from the nearly empty pump and dried them on his slacks when he found the spool in the paper towel holder empty. Suited him fine.

He’d have to wash his hands again in a minute. Right now the Beast was scratching at the door, and Logan knew he’d have to let him out.

One as an example; one for information…

The taller and broader of the two never saw Logan coming as he lurched forward on a gurgle of outraged surprise, staring stupidly at the claws skewering him from back to front, gleaming up at him and streaked with his own blood.

“Need ta learn ta mind yer own business and keep yer eyes in yer head, bub. Some folks don’t take kindly ta invasions of their privacy!” SNAKT! Blood bubbled over his lips as Logan retracted his claws, letting him fall to the concrete with a sick thud.

“You’re that gaijin -!”

“And you’re the guy who’s gonna tell me what I wanna know. How long have ya been tailin’ me an’ my girls, slick?” Logan’s breath was hot and stunk of gin; the man was hoisted by his shirt collar and stared up the “muzzle” of the wolf whose territory he’d crossed and made the mistake of staring him in the eye. Logan’s nostrils flared and quivered with each breath as he pressed him for answers. “Take me ta wherever ya hold yer friggin’ peep shows if ya wanna leave here with yer spleen.”

He sang like a chickadee. A tap of his adamantium knuckles applied to his glass jaw rendered him silent after he escorted Logan upstairs to the security room to view the feeds. Logan watched the screens for five minutes, rewinding and zooming in when appropriate, and felt almost dizzy as he caught Yukio and Ororo in various locations. The front door. The rest rooms, thankfully not in the stalls, but damned close. The coat check room. The bar. On the sticky dance floor, strutting their stuff. Logan had no time to appreciate the sinuous flow of their bodies onscreen or to wonder just how many drinks they’d each sunk that night.

He had a date at the docks.


Elsewhere:

It was almost clichéd. The silver bastard had flicked on an overhead light that was just a bare bulb hanging down from the ceiling, and it glared down into her eyes that were already rendered oversensitive from the venom. All the better to see you with, my dear…

“Comfortable?”

Yukio heard a faint dripping from the docks outside, broken the by the occasional scurry of something that sounded suspiciously like a health and building code violation in the darkest corners of the grimy room. The cold steel of the manacles bit into her, chilling her flesh. Her fingers were already blue with poor circulation from having her arms suspended for so long.

“Nnnnnngggh.”

“Speak up, darling, I couldn’t quite make that out.”

“Guuhh.”

“Venom seems to be wearing off a bit. Should we give her another dose?”

“Not yet. I like watching her squirm. Look into her eyes, sweetling, she’s dying to wrap her hands around your throat. Or mine. You can tell a lot by looking into a woman’s eyes.”

“I’ll take your word for it, Viper,” he grunted dismissively. “Hers are bloodshot. She can barely keep them open.” Yukio’s face held the vacant laxness of someone holding onto consciousness by a mere thread since nightfall, but now she fought to school her brows into a frown, nearly succeeding as her chin bobbled up repeatedly from her chest. Mentally she tested the shackles.

Simple enough design. She wondered where the trigger was to the latch.

“Her fingers are blue.”

“Not for long.” ZZZZZIIIIIPPP! Yukio’s eyes watered involuntarily at the sharp, stinging burn of the razor-thin slash left across her swollen index fingertip. “Now they’re red.” Yukio’s vocal cords wavered from prolonged disuse. She gargled a low scream of defiance. Viper smiled and struck again with the tip of her short switchblade. Crimson droplets drizzled their way to the concrete, and Viper backed away to survey her handiwork.

“I believe we have some guests for dinner and a show.” Tiny black eyes glowed almost yellow from the floor as the vermin scrabbled into the fuzzy pool of light. Nostrils twitched at the metallic, enticing scent of blood. Kenuichio grimaced; like many great beasts, he detested tiny, wriggling creatures, particularly the disease-carrying variety such as these. He leaned against the nearby table and extracted a soft lawn cloth from his belt pack. He wiped it along his sword blade, cleaning it lovingly as Viper held up her end of the discussion.

“You realize you’re just bait, don’t you, thief?” Viper purred. “Logan will come after you, no doubt with the Wind-Witch in tow.”

“I took care of her,” the Samurai growled.

“She’s an X-Man; give the harlot some credit.”

“Remember who I am.” His eyes were steely upon her, his lips tightly pursed. Viper reached for Yukio’s hand, grasping it in a savage pinch, squeezing until liquid rubies welled up from her gashed fingertips and flowed with greater frequency. Yukio winced at the further abuse.

The rats stood on their hindlegs to better catch the treat, snuffling and squeaking their greed and enthusiasm.

Outside the bar:

Logan climbed into the back of the cab, drinking in the scent of cigarette stubs in the driver’s overflowing ashtray up front and itching to use his claws again. They were as thirsty as he was a little while ago.

“Take me to this warehouse,” he growled, indicating the address scribbled on a scrap of napkin purloined from the bar. The cabby eyed him from the rearview mirror with the indolent expectation of someone who only takes orders to make a living, and then only when he was in the mood. Logan reached into his pocket for the crumpled but thick wad of money. “Step on it, bub, I ain’t got time fer this shit.”

The driver remembered how important it was to provide sparkling customer service and crammed his foot against the gas pedal. The cab wove expertly through the post-rush hour traffic, barely nipping the stoplights a beat before they flashed.

Logan’s claws itched again, but this time it could have been his random vision that he had of burying them in Kenuichio’s eye sockets when the time came, or just the feeling that the crusted upholstery was crawling on him.

Back at the Yashida estate, in the kitchen:

“Miss Munroe should be ready for her tray right about now, Masao. Ask if she has already had her dressings checked and see if we can make her more comfortable.” Masao nodded solemnly, silently wondering how comfortable they could make someone who barely survived an impromptu surgery and a resuscitation that no one would ever believe if he told them. Keiko had just finished sweeping away the glass and discarding the expensive “ and now shredded “ tasseled rug that had born the brunt of the shattered window. He placed the cover over the tray and strode carefully up the stairs, taking care not to spill the tea.

At least she didn’t look so desperate now. Her color was slowly returning to its normal mocha splendor, even though she had slept fitfully since Lady Mariko’s betrothed had departed. Masao breathed a sigh of relief when he made his brusque farewell and let himself out, grumbling the whole way. He wasn’t even halfway up the walk before he lit up one of his smelly cigars that reminded Masao of the rich, heavy stench of burning livestock after his uncle’s barn had caught fire when he was a child. He also didn’t like the unsettled quality of the house that seemed to linger whenever Logan made his appearance and consequent escapes.

Masao set down the tray on the side table and fluffed Ororo’s pillow, straightening the hem of the comforter. Ororo smiled weakly at him with cracked lips; Masao poured some ice water from the nearby pitcher into a small drinking glass that already had a straw leaning against its lip. He tipped his head toward Ororo, beckoning for her permission, and she nodded, closing her lips around the straw for much needed moisture. Masao wondered how Logan had come to acquire such colorful, bizarre friends, including this tall, exotic woman with such startling hair and eyes who seemed so reserved on the night of the engagement party. Keiko assisted her, sponging her clean and helping her into a change of fresh clothes. Ororo was clad in a lightweight linen tunic that closed in the front with silk loop frog clasps, almost a mate to Logan’s shirt with its low mandarin collar, but hers had wide, vented sleeves and an ornate willow tree embroidered on the back in beige thread. She wore dark lounging pants with a drawstring waist. Even her flamboyant plume of hair stood proud and aloft once more, much to the amusement of the household staff. Yet no one denied that she cut a striking figure.

Masao lifted the cover from the plate and lifted the chopsticks as if to feed Ororo. Her hand stilled his.

“Thank you; I can do it myself, if you’ve work to do.”

“It is my duty to serve.”

“You’ve done enough, and you have my thanks.” Ororo surveyed the savory smelling rice, spicy vegetables, and grilled fish with satisfaction. “This is perfect. I will let you know if I need anything.” He backed away, nodding as he departed. Minutes later, Ororo looked up from her meal, now half-finished, when she heard a light rap on the door.

“Come in,” she invited, her voice still raspy. She laid down the enamel chopsticks as Mariko entered, closing the door behind her.

“Please, continue your meal. May I join you?”

“Of course!” Mariko served herself tea from the pot that came up on Ororo’s dinner tray, noting that her guest hadn’t touched it yet. “I’m in your debt for all that you’ve done for me today, Mariko. It’s…challenging at times, finding anyone willing to help us under such unseemly circumstances.”

“Any friend of Logan’s is a friend of mine.” Mariko sipped her tea. “You two seem so close.”

“When he’s not snarling at me to get off his back, we get along fine.” The two women exchanged a smile. “He has many sterling qualities.” These of course included a knack for starting “ and ending bar brawls, cigar-chewing, and swearing like a longshoreman. “We’ve been lucky to have him as long as we have.” Ororo left the opportunity for Mariko to clarify whether they wouldn’t have him any longer if she chose to restore their engagement to its previous harmony. She didn’t want to say goodbye to her friend.

But she hated to see him in pain.

Mariko’s eyes didn’t reflect the smile on her lips. “He’s also very stubborn. I love that about him, too. He would call me stubborn if he were here to defend himself.” Ororo raked her chopsticks through the remainder of her rice. “And he would be right.”

“He loves you. More than words could ever express, he loves you, Mariko. Why won’t you accept him as your husband?”

“There are matters within my clan that I must attend to myself. Logan means well…and he means the world to me, Ororo, don’t think for a moment that he doesn’t…but he would try to rescue me from problems of my own making. I entered into an alliance with the Yakuza and I alone must deal with them and rescue the honor of my family.”

“Logan hasn’t been taking things well. You love him, so you know that he doesn’t open up easily even to those of us who are close to him, who care about him.” Ororo reached for her water, surprised when Mariko handed it to her mid-grasp. “Logan’s been floundering for his sense of self-worth ever since you left him in the temple. You love him, but only someone he loves as much as he does you could hurt him so deeply. I’ve only seen Logan care so deeply for one other woman during our friendship who affected him so much, and she died before our eyes by her own hand. You don’t know what losing you is doing to him.”

“He hasn’t lost me. But I cannot marry him.”

“Not being able to share his life with you is roughly the same as losing you, Mariko. Forgive me if I’m reading things incorrectly.” Ororo’s expression was soft but full of questions.

“I have my responsibilities. And Logan, in his way, has his. He has grown to love this country and our customs, but a part of him will always be the wild mountain man who cannot stay in one place long enough to put down roots. He has become so loyal to your school and your esteemed professor, and so fond of them, even if he won’t admit it out loud. His loyalty is also to you.” Ororo nearly choked on her water.

“Excuse me?” she gasped, coughing and setting the glass down on the side table.

“You always seem so comfortable around Logan when you occupy the same space, and he is more relaxed around you than anyone else that I’ve met from your school,” she pointed out, then chuckled, “perhaps with the exception of Kurt.”

“Beer’s usually involved,” Ororo reminded her. “They share a passion for it.”

“His whole face, and his stance changes when he speaks to you, you know.” Mariko steered the conversation back onto its original path, much to Ororo’s dismay. She felt an uneasy tingle run up her neck at the underlying meaning of her words.

“What are you trying to say, Lady Mariko?” Ororo’s smile finally drooped and flattened.

“I’m not trying to say anything.” She sipped her tea, swirling the black residue of leaves in the bottom of the fine porcelain. “I am saying very plainly that this so-called inability of his to open up to you and your friends at the school doesn’t seem to be in evidence when the two of you are together.”

“Do you consider growling at me and telling me to mind my own business ‘opening up?’” Ororo was incredulous. “I hope you haven’t read anything inappropriate in my day-to-day communications or dealings with Logan.”

“I don’t; not necessarily.” Mariko set down her teacup and crossed her foot over her knee in a surprisingly casual gesture. She eyed Ororo squarely. “It wouldn’t be in appropriate for him to move on, in light of the circumstances, especially if the two of you have feelings for each other?”

“He’s like a brother to me! Perhaps even a great-uncle, in light of the age difference!” The corner of Mariko’s mouth quirked.

“So why are you blushing so deeply? I have rubies in my jewelry box that are less pink than you right now, Ororo.” Ororo opened her mouth, searching for a retort…

…and found none. She closed her mouth and stared at her hands, her cheeks still radiating incriminating heat and color.

“He…doesn’t feel that way about me. Trust me. I wouldn’t lie to you about something like that.”

“I believe you, Ororo-chan.” Mariko stood and made her way to the intercom in the room, calling for Keiko to take Ororo’s tray. Perhaps you two haven’t realized it for yourselves. Mariko silently dug her fingernails into her palm.

“And Mariko?”

“Yes, Ororo?”

“Logan is my friend, and so are you. I would protect those close to him with my life.” The depth of her convictions flashed in her sapphire blue eyes.

Those convictions were about to be tested…

SSSSKKRRAASSSSHHHHHHH!!!!
If I Only Had the Nerve by OriginalCeenote
“Mariko, get DOWN!” Bits of glass from the remaining intact window sprayed across the hardwood floor, without the benefit of an area rug to protect its glossy finish this time. Ororo’s eyes glowed white, murky swirls billowing in their depths. The evening calm following the storm was completely decimated now by the crack of renewed thunder overhead. The ninja footmen were clad in their customary black, covered nearly head to toe, but Ororo could still make out their eyes beneath their hoods, glittering with malice and cunning. From down the hall, Ororo could hear Keiko’s panicked cry, cut short on a gurgle of pain and outrage.

“Ororo, what…?”

“DOWN! NOW!” Ororo tore herself loose from the thick comforter and flung herself from the bed with some effort, legs unsteady. Her dinner tray clattered to the floor, scattering food here and there and shattering Mariko’s delicate tea cup. “Behind me,” Ororo hissed. She summoned gusting winds to buffet their attackers “ five so far “ backwards and to deflect the shuriken zooming toward them. Ororo yanked the IV line from her arm, releasing a thin gout of blood, and she swung the pole in a mad arc, clipping the closest attacker in the sternum. She feinted and danced with the next two, allowing one of them to take hold of the end, then tipping the end attached to the medicine pouch to slam it into the other’s jaw with a savage clack. Ororo mourned the loss of her morphine drip momentarily, but she needed to be clearheaded to protect her hostess. More shuriken flew, and this time Ororo didn’t hesitate. She hoisted Mariko against her chest and spun around, then shoved her into the adjacent, cramped closet, kicking the door shut behind her. She cringed apologetically at Mariko’s shocked cry but there was no help for it.

“Mariko…stay in the corner, do you hear me?” SWIIISSSHHH…THUNK-THUNK-THUNK! As if on cue, the shuriken found a futile target in the heavy closet door. Ororo wouldn’t allow them too many other opportunities.

SHRAKA-SKARA-BOOOOOOMMMMM! CRACCCCKKK!!

Lightning sizzled and leapt into Storm’s palm as she sized up their attackers once more. The bedroom door was flung open by three more of Viper’s henchmen, and this time Ororo saw the tattoos on their arms that marked them as Yakuza. Their careless lack of regard for their own flesh was reflected in their flagrant disdain toward innocent lives, and the “Goddess” still lingering in Ororo’s heart was outraged at the desecration of what she held dear.

“Infidels,” she intoned. “You dare?” The wounds in her chest tingled and stung with renewed fire. She wrested a bo staff from a wild-eyed thug before he could get the drop on her and landed a volley of thuds with uncanny speed for someone who nearly died that very evening. “Don’t let the bandages fool you.” It was time to clean house.

The one thing that none of Viper’s hired hands could realize is that no matter what kind of attack they threw at Storm, she was perfectly capable of throwing it right back. Nunchucks whipped and flew through the air, perilously close to taking her head off; her attackers found themselves yanked by the expertly wielded weapons into her waiting fists. Lightning left smoking, gaping holes in their clothing where it struck them mid-leap. Ororo’s eyes still glowed a blinding white, but she saw their confident leers above edges of their masks turn to dawning terror that the more dangerous of the two X-Men they were paid to eliminate might NOT have been the one who sauntered out the front door with his Stetson on at jaunty angle and chewing a Cuban cigar between his teeth.

Can’t let them get to Mariko. The thought beat like a tattoo in her head as she fought, and struck, and brawled. Ororo never left her place in front of the wardrobe as the gangsters flooded inside from the shattered window frame and bedroom door. A stray shuriken zipped by her face, grazing her cheek. “OWWWNNNGGHH!”

CRRACCCRRKK! Extreme moments sometimes called for extreme measures, she decided, harnessing her thunder in her fist, much like she had her lightning, and swinging with all of her might…her attacker flew backward from the force of the blow, the thunder resounding and sending shockwaves through the entire upper story. Low-voltage lightning bolts took out the fleeing remainder of the thugs, and Ororo’s eyes reverted back to their customary, benign blue. She hurried to the window, not liking what she saw; two of the men were making their way into the thickly wooded copse behind the house.

“Not so fast,” she murmured. The air grew frosty and the sky turned a sickly gray, and two hailstones the size of baseballs pelted them with unerring accuracy, knocking them out. Then she remembered her charge.

“Mariko?” Ororo flung open the closet door. She found Mariko huddled behind a huge pile of thick coats, shivering. Tear tracks stained her cheeks, and her carefully done hairstyle was slightly mussed.

“Please…Ororo, if you could, call downstairs…have Masao call the authorities.” Ororo strained against a pain in her shoulder, but reached down to help Mariko up, and didn’t even wince when Mariko clung to her for dear life.

Down by the docks:

“There isn’t all that much to you, is there? You’re just a sorry little snip of a girl,” Viper purred, stabbing Yukio’s toned abdomen with her unfiltered, lit cigarette. A low gurgle of outrage issued from her lips as the scent of singed flesh filled the already ripe, dank chamber. Viper kept the blowfish toxin on a low dosage, enough to prohibit broad movements, but little enough to allow the sporadic jerks and muscle spasms when she introduced any painful stimulus.

After all, it was so entertaining watching her squirm.

The floor was decorated in her blood. Viper took out her aggression against Yukio’s previously insolent tongue with a savage beating; in-between doses of the venom, Yukio swore that she would make her pay; promising methods that would make Viper’s tortures these past few hours look like a tea party.

Yukio tried to speak from swollen lips. “Nnnnnnggggh. Nnnnhh. MMmmmmmmbbb. Mbbb. ‘tch. Mmb-tch.” She finally succeeded: “Bitch.”

“So feisty,” Viper chortled to Kenuichio as he sat quietly in the corner, wiping the blade of his katana with a soft cloth. He polished it until he could see his wavering reflection in its surface.

“You’re taking too much joy in this. We’re wasting time. For all we know, Logan could be back at my sister’s estate, convincing her to pledge herself to him after all.”

“Do you honestly think he has a snowball’s chance in hell?”

“He did with you,” he reminded her, his face still lowered to his sword as he raised his eyes to meet hers. They glittered with emotions she couldn’t name.

“Once, perhaps.” THWACK! Viper’s palm came into sharp contact with Yukio’s cheek again. “I came to my senses. I was young. Young and foolish.”

“B-bet h-he said the little porcelain doll’s name with you, t-too, eh?” Yukio’s smile was watery but wicked.

“That’s enough out of you,” Viper growled.

“It sounds like she hit her mark,” the Samurai murmured, tucking his blade back into its sheath.

“She’d be wise to speak only when spoken to.”

“Where’s…the fun in that?”

The electric prod hummed as Viper flicked it on, stabbing it into Yukio’s vulnerable ribs.

“AAAAAGGGGGHH!”

“That’s better.”

“Don’t you ever get bored with this, Viper?” Kenuichio shucked off his helmet and rubbed his eyes with his knuckles.

“I never get bored with my favorite toys.”


Minutes later:

Logan strode up the pier, watching the skiffs and fishing boats bob in the harbor, the scent of low tide nearly overwhelming his sensitive nose. He almost regretted having seafood stew for dinner…

There was no chance of being inconspicuous on this side of the tracks wearing fancy duds like these, he mused. But if luck was on his side, he wouldn’t be there too long. He kept walking, taking in the surroundings and casing the cars in the lot. One in particular caught his eye. It was a gleaming black BMW sedan, with a cracked tail light and a few scratches on the bumper. Looked like someone made a hasty getaway. It was flanked by two other cars that weren’t remarkable other than having expensive accessories that made them an easy target for a carjacking.

Someone had been spending their blood money.

Logan breathed in the final curl of nourishing smoke from the well-chewed stump of his Cuban before stubbing it out with his foot. He had work to do. The dilapidated boathouse that drew his attention wasn’t well-lit from without or within, and it seemed like the perfect place to take a peek. He crept around the boats, his ears perking up at the night sounds and the low voices traveling more easily across the water.

“The Samurai…picked the wrong side of town…can’t believe they dragged the ronin over here, don’t they know what kind of company she keeps?”

“All that matters is that we’re getting paid.” Their voices grew closer, and Logan could smell cheap alcohol on their breath.

“It’ll never be enough. That sonofabitch is small, but he’s crazy!” A pause. “We’ll never live long enough to spend any of it.”

“Got that right, bub!” A flash of shining claws and merciless black eyes were the last things they saw. SNIKT. The last one was clutching his bleeding stump of a hand, his severed fingers lying on the dock like discarded party poppers. Logan’s cigar-kissed breath steamed his face as he dragged him by his collar to meet his gaze. “Ya picked the wrong guy, on the wrong day. You’ve got a friend of mine stashed away somewhere in this stink hole. Yer gonna tell me where, or yer gonna say hello ta yer ancestors for me.”

“B-b-but V-viper will k-kill me,” he stammered.

“Gettin’ warmer, bub.”

“You don’t know what she’s capable of!”

“Sez who? We practically drank from the same tit.” Logan’s thoughts drifted back to Seraph; ah, the old days…what he could remember of ‘em. “Die slowly now by me, or live to lie, cheat an’ steal another day by pretending ya never heard of a guy named Patch.”

“Never heard of who?” Logan grinned. “She’s in the back.” He motioned with his head to the boathouse that Logan has suspected. “The Samurai is in there with them.” Logan’s smile faded.

“Get the hell outta here. Take yer flamin’ fingers with ya.” Logan released him and shoved him away. His informant still wasn’t convinced that Viper was the lesser of two evils, and Logan smelled steel coming at him from behind.

SNIKT!

That’d teach him to write him off…

Overhead:

Ororo’s winds carried her along on a maelstrom, buffeting her aching limbs and nearly knocking her off-balance, but still she forged ahead, summoning fog to mask her flight. The cold air sliced into her wounds, making them sting and bite, but she used the pain to keep herself focused and alert.

It had been easy enough to pry Yukio’s location out of the only conscious remaining attacker before the police came to collect them from the premises.

“You’ll get nothing from me; death before dishonor,” he coughed.

“You don’t call what you’ve done dishonorable?” Ororo’s eyes gleamed white, and thunder rumbled overhead. “Your death can be arranged.” They didn’t have to know about her vow never to take a human life. It had various, loose interpretations lately. She was willing to redefine it again… “Lightning is an irrestistible force of nature, and one of the earth’s most effective tools for cleansing its atmosphere. I could call down a blast large enough to incinerate you to mere ashes, if you would prefer that to rotting in a local jail.” Her grip on his jaw was gentle but firm. Mariko’s teary eyes swam before Ororo’s vision, reminding her why being the ever-diplomatic Wind-Rider was not an option.

It struck Ororo as ironic, later, when she hurled herself aloft, that the boathouse was so close to the source of where it all started. She flew over the charred remains of the fireworks warehouse, shuddering as she remembered the Phoenix effect. From her aerial vantage point, she saw a familiar stocky yet graceful figure forcing his way into the boathouse, through the front door.

“Subtlety, Logan, subtlety,” she sighed. She swooped lower in the sky, hovering above the now-misty docks.

Inside the boathouse:

“What took you so long?” Viper beamed, as though Logan were merely a tardy guest to a tea party.

“Yer gettin’ sloppy, woman. Thought ya didn’t believe in leavin’ loose ends.”

“It brought you here, didn’t it?”

“Logan-sama…don’t let…” Yukio’s face jerked before she sagged back against the cold wall, blessedly unconscious. Logan swore under his breath at her swelling lip and bruises. He smelled the tang of her blood and worse in the chamber. A rat scurried over his foot, which he kicked away savagely, getting warmed up.

“Don’t give away the surprise, Sunshine.”

“I don’t have the patience for this nonsense,” the Samurai growled. “I’ve waited long enough. I’ve had time to recover since the last time you saw me, little man.” He assumed his stance with broad and fluid grace, positioning his sword so it gleamed in the scarce light. “You won’t walk away from this.”

“Bub, I walk away from everything.” SNIKT!

“How about Hobson’s choice?” Viper chuckled. “Surely you don’t just expect me to leave a ripe, juicy hostage like your little friend here untouched while you two indulge in a testosterone-fueled frenzy? Your choice is simple, Wolverine. I want you to swear to terminate whatever’s left of your betrothal to Lady Mariko, and give up your allegiance to Clan Yashida, leaving the way clear for Harada to take his rightful place in his father’s seat of power.” Viper pointed her blaster at Yukio’s temple.

Logan drank in the night sounds and scents, unavoidable in the drafty boathouse. Suddenly he found himself downwind of the faint scent of English tea roses and sandalwood, swearing to himself that it was impossible…

…until he remembered that he was an X-Man, and that he kept extraordinary company.

When we get outta this, ‘Roro, so help me, I might hafta kiss ya again…

“An’ if I don’t?” As if he would even consider it.

“What do you think?” CLICK. She chambered the next cartridge.

“I think someone’s been playin’ possum.” His senses never lied, particularly his hearing, which had picked up a steady pulse in Yukio’s neck from several feet away.

“Boo!” Yukio swung her foot up in a near-impossible fan kick, knocking the blaster from Viper’s hand with a loud clatter. Her dark eyes shone mischievously out from the bruised and swelling flesh as she allowed Viper to reach for her throat, then rammed her forehead into the bridge of her patrician nose.

“OOOWWWWWWHHH!”

“That’s for waving that stinky cigarette smoke in my face!” Yukio twisted her fingers and sprung the latch on the left manacle. “That’s for wearing that sickening cologne!” she crowed, twisting her fingers through Viper’s long green hair and driving her face down into her lifted kneecap. She kicked her soundly in the ribs. “That’s just because I felt like it!”

“Knew ya’d come around, darlin’,” Logan drawled.

“You should be more worried about yourself, gaijin dog. My sister was right about one thing: You’re unworthy. I intend to cure you of those illusions.”

“I intend ta cure ya of a few limbs, bub.” Ororo’s soft whispers on Yukio’s balcony came back to him in that instant, charging him with new strength and determination. The Beast whispered to him, too, reminding him how easy it would be to slide his claws through the Samurai’s vitals, how satisfying it would be to beat him into the stinking floorboards…

Like it or not, this man was the half brother of his betrothed. Eliminating him would protect her. Yet it would kill her, and kill the love between them as surely as though Logan had broken off the engagement himself. Hobson’s choice, indeed.

The roof shifted and clattered, creaking beneath the onslaught of the gale outside.

“WHAT?” The Samurai’s eyes were riveted to the ceiling as it continued to creak and buckle. Suddenly the entire roof, rafters and all, were torn off the boathouse, unleashing the full fury of the winds on the occupants inside. Despite his heavy silver armor, he was suddenly ducking more of the softball-sized hail that was coming at him in a battering frenzy as he stared into the eyes of the weather witch.

“I will protect those close to him with my life,” Storm cried, her voice hard, repeating the promise she had made to Mariko moments earlier. “That includes him. You won’t threaten the ones I care about, behemoth!”

“I hardly need protectin’, darlin’, “ he reminded her, guarding his face with his hand and moving closer to Yukio to shield her with his broad bulk.

“Don’t argue with me, little man!”

“Got it, Boss.” The Samurai couldn’t get in a clear shot with his shuriken this time amidst the hail and wind; Storm wouldn’t let him, having learned from their last skirmish. So Kenuichio harnessed his own kinetic energy and advanced on the two huddling against the wall, sword drawn. Viper lay unmoving on the floor like a fallen rag doll, her flesh growing blue from the cold. Storm released a blast of lightning from her fingertips, aiming for his sword. It conducted the electricity, naturally, like a lightning rod, interrupting the flow of his own energy. This time Storm reigned it back in with little effort.

“YEEEARRRRHHHH!”

“That was a warning shot. Perhaps you’d like to save your paramour, she’s looking the worse for wear.” Two inches of rain had accumulated in the boathouse, flushing out the vermin and rising perilously, bathing Viper in its murky waves.

“Yukio ain’t looking much better, darlin’,” Logan grumbled, a look of genuine worry marring his features. She was still bleeding from multiple shallow wounds and her pallor was a sickly gray. Storm hovered aloft, shoulders back and eyes fierce, like an avenging angel. Logan recognized that look, having only seen it once or twice before.

“I’m fine. Gut that pompous fuck,” Yukio snarled, waving him away. Kenuichio was still weaving from the blast but readying his sword. Yukio sagged against the wall when he released her, and he turned to face the Samurai, claws extended. He advanced on him “ CLANG! “ and grunted as the Samurai parried the blow from his blades. PPPHHTT! Logan’s claws slashed up in a wicked arc, nicking Kenuichio neatly across the jaw, taking first blood this time. Metal struck metal, as both men pushed the limits of their reserves and their mutant abilities, shedding blood and sweat but nary a tear.

“Storm…a little hand, here?” Yukio held her hand out limply, beckoning to her.

“Always, wild one.” She descended into the boathouse at last, mere inches from the filthy, flooded floor, and gathered her into her arms, taking to the air once again.

“Storm…take her to the hospital. Her apartment’s got eyes!” Logan warned before she was fully airborne. His eyes never left the Samurai

“I hear you, my friend.” Ororo wouldn’t endanger Mariko’s life any further by asking her to harbor another thief in her home.

“What…a way t’go, Wind-Rider!”

“You’re not going anywhere yet,” she promised, clutching her close, reading the intent of her words loud and clear.

“I’m not afraid of death.”

“No. But that doesn’t make your life any less precious. Promise me you are done scaring me for one day!”

“I love getting a rise out of you,” she grimaced. “Ow.” Ororo tried to suppress her smile and failed miserably.

Ororo soared above the rooftops, admiring the relative calm of the late night and giving silent thanks that she wouldn’t be there to witness whatever justice that Logan chose to mete out to those who caused their friend such pain and horror.

Some time later:

Logan winced as he made his way up the front walkway of Mariko’s manor house, gritting his teeth as a cut over his eye healed shut. The feel of tissue mending and knitting itself back together was second only to the grating of fingernails over a chalkboard in excruciating sharpness, but as Logan had said earlier, he always walked away. He popped his knuckles before he paused, noticing the lines of yellow police tape strewn across the porch.

“Holee…!” He rushed forward and rapped on the door. A harried looking house maid opened the door and stared at him cautiously. “I need t’see M’iko, where is she?”

“You don’t belong here, Logan-san. Please leave this place.”

“Not til I see M’iko, goddamn it!”

“Haven’t you done enough?” Masao came up from behind her, clutching a folded rag over his cheek and nudging her aside. “You’ve brought trouble to Lady Yashida’s front doorstep, gaijin. You’re a magnet for it. If you love her as you profess, you will leave her alone and never trouble her again.”

“I do love her. I just came ta say goodbye.” There was no malice in his eyes.

“Consider it done. She left you this.” Masao reached into the pocket of his cleaning smock and handed him an envelope that smelled like Mariko and was addressed to him in her girlish script. The door was slammed in his face, and for the first time, Logan didn’t try to stop it.


In the hospital waiting room, at the start of visiting hours:

Logan folded and unfolded the letter in his scab-encrusted hands, re-reading it as he continued to punish himself. A magnet for trouble. That was him.

“I’m…quite certain that it says the same thing now that it did the first few times you read it, my friend.”

“Ya think?” He finally crumpled it and shoved it deeply into the pocket of his jeans. “Don’t hurt any less.”

“I know. That doesn’t mean that it won’t eventually.” Her voice was hopeful.

“I’ve been around a long time, darlin’, it never really hurts less. The old hurts just get replaced by new ones.” Logan scratched his knuckles out of old habit, and he was slightly surprised at the soft, cool hand covering his, stilling his restless fingers.

“Or sometimes the old hurts are put away long enough to let in new joy. A very wise man once told me when I was feeling sad about some troubles that I was having with someone that I care about to just be patient, she’ll come around.” Logan grunted.

“Wise, huh? Sure he wasn’t just talkin’ out of his ass?”

“Positive. Absolutely certain. I trust his wisdom.” Ororo’s cerulean eyes deepened as she smiled and gave his hand a squeeze. “Although, he usually dispenses it with startling profanity that curls what remains of my hair. He means well,” she finished. Ororo put her sunglasses back on with her free hand, resuming her “disguise.”

“Ya don’t hafta keep on fussin’ over me, ‘Roro, I’ll be fine.”

“I know.” He didn’t take back his hand, and he even shifted it, lacing his fingers through hers. They walked down the hall toward Yukio’s room that way when the desk nurse signaled for them to go ahead. They had a busy morning already. When they returned to Yukio’s apartment, Logan ferreted out the video cameras and left the first one a pile of gutted wires; Ororo zapped the other two with her lightning, destroying the footage. Logan mentally kicked himself for not sniffing ‘em out sooner, until he’d remembered that a good portion of his night had been spent out on the balcony helping a certain weather goddess to sober up.

They were an odd couple of sorts; her, garbed head to toe in black raw silk, with a silk chiffon scarf wrapped around her hair and supple leather boots on her feet; and him, wearing his customary Stetson, black denims and a red and black plaid flannel shirt. Ororo knocked gently on the door. “’S’open.” Yukio’s voice rang clearly across the private room.

Ororo let the door click quietly shut behind them as they let themselves in, letting Logan seat himself in the chair beside the bed. She crossed to the other side of the bed and leaned her hand against the cool rails. Thankfully the room was devoid of the intimidating monitors and other equipment that had flanked Ororo’s bed during her stay at Mariko’s, but Yukio didn’t look much better. She bore no deep wounds, but her arms were wrapped in snug bandages, and her right eye was swollen shut. She smiled warmly at them despite cracked lips.

“Brought ya flowers,” Logan announced without preamble. He laid the bouquet of pink chrysanthemums and white carnations on the side table. Ororo thoughtfully poured Yukio a glass of water from the brimming pink pitcher before she unwrapped the flowers, then arranged them in the pitcher, using a self-contained rain shower to fill the water back up to the top.

“Don’tcha just love the way she does that?”

“Yup. She’s handy to have around.”

“I came to check up on you, Wild One. And I came to say goodbye. I have a team to go home to who needs me.”

“Going back to be a good little Girl Scout?”

“No. I’m going back to my life.”

“You could have a life here.”

“Not the life that matters most to me. Not the one where I can do the most good in the long run.” This time she took Yukio’s hand. “I will miss you, ronin.” Yukio tsked.

“Sure. That’s what they all say.”

“Cut her some slack, will ya?” Logan growled. “Don’t make it harder on her.”

“What’re you gonna do, threaten to beat me up after last bell?”

“Nope. I won’t be here.” Logan removed his sunglasses and twiddled them by their stems. “I’m goin’ back with her.”

“What do you have back there? It’s a school, Logan. What’s a grizzled old thief and assassin like you doing in a school?”

“Learning new tricks. Teaching the next generation how ta get by without endin’ up like me.

“And you’ve already taught me some new tricks, Yukio, for which I’m forever in your debt.”

“Like what?” A faint sheen of unshed tears glazed her eyes. “How to order drinks with the most alcohol per ounce?”

“That will come in handy occasionally,” Ororo admitted, clasping Yukio’s limp hand in hers, her eyes beseeching her, but Yukio wouldn’t return her gaze. Logan saw her shoulders tense up and felt a pang of sympathy for Yukio, a rare instance, indeed. She was losing the thing she wanted most, too.

“However…I was thinking that you taught me how to feel. All of my emotions, without reservation or regret. Without fearing the consequences. Without being a slave to my power. And of course you imparted your impeccable shopping sense to me! Those are invaluable gifts, Wild One.” The meaning wasn’t lost on Yukio when she added “You’re an amazing woman whom I’m proud to call my friend.”

“God, you X-Men and your inflated speeches,” she sniffled, wiping her eyes.

“We’ve always believed in cutting a dash, even when we’re makin’ a grand exit.” Logan swept off his Stetson and ducked to kiss Yukio’s lips, still slightly puffy from her ordeal. She sighed beneath the caress. When he pulled away, she reminded him “I only tolerate your crap for her benefit,” jerking her face toward Ororo.

“And I find that very flattering.” Ororo was mindful of the scratches on Yukio’s cheek as she gently tipped her jaw around to face her, tilting it up and capturing her lips in a kiss that quickened her pulse and stole her breath. Logan’s brows shot up as he tilted his hat back on his head, not expecting that at all. What was it about these two and making a spectacle? They parted, and Ororo’s smile was warm as she trailed the backs of her knuckles down Yukio’s cheek. Yukio collapsed back against the pillows, speechless. “Logan and I have a plane to catch, before he changes his mind. And next time, you can visit us in the states. I’ll take you to Bloomingdales. It’s absolutely addicting!”

“Promise?’

“Absolutely!”


Two hours later:

Logan and Ororo browsed the gift shop near the gates and came away a few small parcels apiece. A wad of gum crackled between his teeth as Logan prepared himself against his ears popping during takeoff. Visions of overpriced Jack Daniels shots danced in his head. Ororo sat beside him on the rotating chair in the waiting area, hoping that the airplane seating wasn’t as uncomfortable.

“I wish I were stronger.”

“You’ve forced yerself ta be stronger than anyone should expect ta be on any given day, darlin’, just relax.”

“I wish I could fly us both home myself,” she corrected herself. “I hate planes. I hate being closed up with that stale air and tiny interior.”

“I know, darlin’. Don’t help much that we’re gonna be up in the air for the better part of the day, either.” Logan thumbed through his copy of People magazine. “Howsabout a rousing rendition of ‘Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall?’”

“Bright Lady preserve me…no.”

“Guess we’ll hafta settle for the in-flight movie, then. Just fer giggles, d’ya want me ta go through the X-ray machine again?”

“You’re incorrigible.”

“Yep. I glow in the dark now, too, after they made me go through the first six times.”

“You could have fabricated that story of having a steel plate in your skull after the first time through, you know.” Her look was deadpan.

“Wouldn’t have been as much fun.” Logan feigned interest in the latest escapades of Princess Di on the Features page. “Bought us a little more leisure time ta stretch those long legs of yers, darlin’.”

“What happened to the Samurai?”

Logan snorted. “Whaddya think?” He tried to blow a bubble with his gum, until he remembered it was Wrigley’s, so it wouldn’t. “I gave him an out. We fought til the bastard remembered that Viper was snorting rainfall over in the corner. Sneaky bugger used that handy little teleportation ring of his to beam ‘em outta there.”

“Are you all right?”

“I’ll heal. Shit, I always heal.”

“Yes, but are you all right?” Fire coiled in his gut as she laid her hand on his thigh. He looked up at her sharply, laying down his book.

“’Roro…” He clenched his fists in his lap. “Ya don’t wanna poke around in this. Not now. Inside my head’s not a pretty place ta be.”

“So you say. You don’t give yourself enough credit. Your heart is enormous and full of love. A woman could count herself lucky to belong in it.”

“I’m gonna take some convincin’, ‘Ro.” Yet he already sat a little taller at her declaration, enjoying the faint flush of warmth that ran through him at her words. He dug into his pocket and fished out the crumpled letter, handing it to her. Ororo read it silently as their seat numbers were called. The last line echoed in her chest and made her stomach do flip-flops:

Don’t let a good thing pass you by, my love; especially when that good thing is closer than you think. Perhaps even right under your nose.

Ororo and Logan boarded the plane; Logan thoughtfully gave Ororo the window seat, earning him a grateful smile. He almost needn’t have worried. After a few games of gin rummy and Go Fish, Ororo collapsed against his shoulder, sound asleep. Logan smiled and moved the armrest aside to cuddle her across his lap.

To be continued in next installment, Wounded Animals.
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=1716