Slow Burn by windrider1
Summary: Post The Last Stand: Loving Jean was easy; it was a spontaneous combustion of emotions that flared hot and intense, here in a flash and gone just as quick. Ororo was different. Falling in love with her was a slow burn...
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 81425 Read: 85108 Published: 07-13-06 Updated: 03-29-08

1. One by windrider1

2. Two by windrider1

3. Three by windrider1

4. Four by windrider1

5. Five by windrider1

6. Six by windrider1

7. Seven by windrider1

8. Eight by windrider1

9. Nine by windrider1

10. Ten by windrider1

11. Eleven by windrider1

12. Twelve by windrider1

13. Thirteen by windrider1

14. Fourteen by windrider1

15. Fifteen by windrider1

16. Sixteen by windrider1

17. Seventeen by windrider1

18. Eighteen by windrider1

One by windrider1


For as long as he could remember pain had permeated his life in nearly every aspect. For Logan, former soldier and current X-Man known as the Wolverine, it was his constant. It was his unfailing link to reality that let him know that, even if all else could proved false, the pain was real and it meant that he was alive. The physical pains he had endured throughout the majority of his life were more than enough to kill most men, but being as he was blessed--or cursed, depending on who you asked--with mutation; his being an unmatched healing factor, none of his wounds had ever been more than a lingering soreness for a day at most.

That was the physical. The emotional pains he’d suffered were not so easily dismissed. He could barely recount the past twenty years of his life but of that twenty, the recent few had been and still were the most heart wrenching for him. Not long past he had come across a wayward teenager in Canada, lost and alone, and at first he had dismissed her outright, but she had worked her way into his heart with her earnest eyes and open need. Try as he might he had been unable to turn his back on her and by taking her under his wing he had been unwittingly been drawn into some rather deep shit.

He and his companion, Rogue, or Marie as she now preferred, had come across some very bad people and after taking a ruthless beating by a brute named Sabertooth that had left him busted and unconscious he and Rogue had been rescued by two mutants known as Storm and Cyclops. Code names it turned out, for a tri force team that called themselves the X-Men. Immediately upon rescue, he and Marie had been transported to Westchester, New York and taken into The Xavier Institute for the Gifted.

It was there that he met the woman that he had come to love more than life itself; Jean Grey. Beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, she had radiated all the things he had craved for himself and had subconsciously deemed out of reach. It had been instant, his attraction for her. She had touched him, stirred him, and admired him, but she had not loved him. Her heart had belonged to and would always belong to her longtime love Scott Summers. Logan knew that now, but it did nothing to diminish how very much he had loved her. Would always love her.

He sighed with more than a hint a bitterness as he snubbed his cigar in the ashtray beside his bed before running his hands through his naturally disheveled hair. Three months after Alcatraz and dreams of her death still woke him in the night. His dreams came with vivid clarity and with such crystal clear intensity that he could still see her eyes pleading with him to release her, still hear the last beats of her heart echoing in his ears and still feel that last whisper of breath against his lips as she slipped forever from his grasp into sweet oblivion.

He leaned back onto the cool cotton of his pillows, not even bothering to fight the ache in his heart. It was futile, he knew, to try and ward it off. It was ever present, always there, worse at night when the only distraction he had was himself. He closed his eyes, concentrating on his breathing, making the deep ins and outs match in rhythm. He had no idea where he had picked up the habit of going zen, but he did it often, leading him to believe he had either undergone serious martial arts training or lived somewhere where Eastern culture was prevalent. Not that it really mattered two shits where he picked up the habit, but it would have been nice to know about his past.

His past was as much a mystery now as it ever had been, with no light at the end of the tunnel for him. He tucked his hands behind his head, his wide chest filling the expanse of the bed as he willfully steadied the pace of his heart. Professor Charles Xavier had promised to help Logan find out about the times in his life long forgotten, forced from his mind by shady governments and unknown circumstances, but that was no longer possible, given the fact that Jeannie had demoleculorized Xavier in her crazed state as Phoenix.

So much unnecessary death in the past few months. Jean, Xavier, Scott and the countless soldiers turned to ash on Alcatraz. It had been the darkest time the X-Men had ever faced, and the battle for their right to exist had culminated with the hardest decision he himself had ever had to make. To this day it ate at him. Could he have cured her as opposed to killing her? He doubted it. The only reason he got as close as he had been able to was because Jeannie had wanted him to. She had asked him to end her suffering, and loving her as he did, he could do no other than comply.

Behind his closed eyes he was momentarily back on that island, with Jean’s warm weight in his arms as she whispered, “Save me,“ in that heartbreaking voice of hers. That voice that had haunted him after Alkali Lake and her initial sacrifice, and the voice that plagued his dreams now. He couldn’t escape her here, in the place where he met her. It was impossible. Every hallway, every room, every mission reminded him of her. Some days hurt, others were better, but all of them left him one more day without her.

If he hadn’t promised Storm he would help with the impending fall semester he would have hit the road for one of his extended trips, to escape for awhile, but seeing as how the school was understaffed as it was, he decided against the trip. Besides, Rogue needed him. Her decision to take the cure while it was still offered was weighing heavily on her and she needed him to lean on. He didn’t figure he was much good for anything else lately, but he could be a shoulder for the kid that had led him to the only place he’d called home in two years.

Logan turned his head, his eyes still closed, catching the scent of rain and fresh flowers in the hall, one floor above him. His senses were more acute than any predator’s on the planet, a result of his secondary mutation. So fine tuned, in fact, that Logan’s sense of smell enabled him to catch even the faintest scent in the air or on the ground, even those that dogs couldn’t detect. He was certain, however, that even without his enhanced senses he would recognize the singularly distinctive aroma that was Storm anywhere at anytime.

The Professor had once told him that her given name, Ororo, meant beauty in her native tongue. Logan thought it was a severe understatement. Ororo Munroe went beyond beautiful to straight up exquisite. Her skin, always smooth and blemish free, was the color of warmed chocolate. Her eyes, full of lively intelligence and compassion were the deepest molasses, dark and bottomless; that was unless she was pissed. Then they snapped and swirled, becoming blue as the sky, then arctic until they were ultimately glowing white.

He had more occasion to see them blue than not, he mused with a wry smile. Something about him seemed to get under her skin and prickle. He wouldn’t deny a certain amount of satisfaction in that fact. It took a lot to ruffle the unflappable Storm and he liked doing it every chance he got.

He sniffed the air again, logging her location. She was headed out to the balcony as she was prone to doing at night. He opened one eye and glanced at his bedside clock. Eleven fifteen, time for a night flight. She would return in roughly thirty minutes, shower and go to bed. Asleep by midnight, up at five. It was her schedule, something he’d come to rely on, he mused. Even the nights he went to bed before her, like tonight, he counted on catching her scent and hearing her footfalls. It somehow soothed him to know he wasn’t alone.

He wondered briefly if his presence soothed her at all…


~X~


The night air felt good against her skin, Ororo thought, closing the sliding door behind her. She titled her face skyward, inhaling the night and damp grass. She smiled, Bobby and Peter had mowed the large estate yard, lovingly referred to as the Great Lawn, earlier that morning in preparation for the upcoming visitation and tours of the facility, and the fresh cut grass smell lingered in the air. It was a delightfully normal fragrance that helped remind her that despite the mad rush and seemingly endless to-do’s she had lately there was still a sense of normalcy to her life. Being a mutant superhero and trying to maintain that sense of normalcy was harder than one might suspect.

She leaned forward, her hands pressed against the cool banister. The sky was clear, devoid of clouds giving her a crisp view of the multitude of heavenly diamonds against midnight velvet and the full face of the moon that stared down at her. It truly was a lovely evening, she thought with a pang of longing. It was the type of evening that had often found her and the Professor on that very balcony, sipping hot tea and discussing poetry and flowers, passions for both of them.

She exhaled a shaky breath. Lord, she missed that man. Her fingers tightened reflexively on the white banister before she forced herself to relax. She glanced at the stone bench nearby, her seat when she and Charles had talked into the late hours. She sat so that they could converse on equal level, eye to eye. It had been a gesture on her part to show him that she never thought less of him as a man because he could not stand, and though he never spoke it aloud, his appreciation for her thoughtfulness was evident in every touch, every gentle tone, and every day that he made her feel less like a student and more like a daughter.

A small choked sound escaped her lips before she could fully prevent it. Her shoulders twitched with repressed emotion. Three months and she had not cried. Three months and not one tear shed. She took a deep breath. Her tears would not bring her beloved Charles back, all she could do was honor him and his request that she follow in his much too large footsteps and hope to keep his dream alive and make him proud.

With a final, fleeting, look at the stone bench Ororo launched herself over the balcony rail and up into the sky, spinning high and relaxing back, floating much as one would float in a pool, only she rode the air currents. She closed her eyes, letting all thought leave her, relying solely on her feel for the earth’s rhythm of things and the rightness of nature.

After a few moments she caught a faint whiff of a familiar blend of cigar in the clean air. Cuban, vintage, hand rolled; a gift from Xavier to Logan the first Christmas the feral had been with the X-Men had been an ornate cigar box full of one of a kind blends. Logan had been at a loss, never having received gifts that he could recall. Charles had waved off Logan’s offer to pay for the cigars with a slightly amused look exchanged with Ororo, whose idea it had been to get the cigars in the first place. “They’re a gift, Logan,” he had said gently. “Meant for you to enjoy with no obligation for anything in return.”

That was simply the way Charles had always worked, give all that you are, expect nothing in return save the reward within oneself and take each day and each small step forward for what they were worth, miracles.

Above the mansion Storm righted herself to vertical, her eyes searching out and finding effortlessly the open second story window and the man sitting on the ledge, his bare back pressed to the wood with one knee propped to keep his balance. Not that it mattered, she thought idly, Logan could easily survive a two story fall.

His dark head tiltled in greeting, the end of his Cuban flaring cherry red in the dark as he inhaled. Ororo raised one hand in silent acknowledgement toward the only other person who had borne witness to her mentor’s fall. They had never spoken of the incident after it happened, both too immersed in their own minds and grief she assumed. Ororo had been busy hardening her heart for the battle ahead and preparing a funeral for the only father she’d ever really known and Logan, well, Logan had been just as busy plotting ways to try and reach the red head responsible for Xavier’s death and bring her back to them--to him. He had refused to believe that Jean was gone, that the woman he loved was capable of such horror…Ororo on the other hand had known better.

With one last spin and flip she floated back to the balcony. Her bare feet touched the cool stones lightly, barely skimming them, in a manner that Charles had once told her reminded him of the expression ‘dancing on air‘. That thought brought about another twinge of sorrow.

Would the memories not leave this evening? She quashed that thought before it was even fully formed. She’d take all the memories, all the heartache, every nightmare and every fleeting stab of sorrow and self doubt she had; she would take all of it, because they were hers, she earned them. She would hold onto, with both hands, each memory, each and every shared moment with the man that had taught her not to fear those that feared her, the man that taught her that pity was useless, but empathy was empowering. The man who had painstakingly helped her understand her place in the world and what it took, the kind of sacrifices that were to be made, for a dream worth fighting for; for a family worth protecting.

His dream was her dream now, his responsibilities now hers to bear. The family that he, in the end, had died to protect was now under her protection, and she too would die before she failed them. Before she failed him.

She opened the sliding doors once more, stepping through into the inky shadows of the hall. She walked the corridor, listening for any sounds of disturbance, checking on the rooms where the door was ajar, clicking off lights and adjusting nightlights as needed in her rounds. Each student was important to her, each special, and it was her job to protect them, guide them and help them find their way.

Ororo paused outside of Jimmy’s room, placing her hand on the closed door. He was still painfully shy and quiet, blaming himself far more than he would ever admit for what had happened. The mutant cure derived from his DNA was no longer being made, in large part as a result of the final battle, and mutants saving the world from being ripped apart to its most basic atoms by the Phoenix. Although Worthington Labs had stopped production and Jimmy had been placed under Hank McCoy’s care, and thus placed with Ororo and the X-Men for his safety, there were still mutants and humans alike out there that wanted to do him harm and use the young boy.

Ororo’s hand curled in on itself. Not on her watch. They had lost too much as it was. No more blood was she willing to let be spilt by her students. No more.

~X~


Amidst the holocaust of battle she heard him call to her.

“Be their light…Show them the way…”

“CHARLES!” She had screamed as her body had been flung from the Grey house, smashing through the front bay window as a shockwave erupted from the study where Xavier confronted Jean.

The walls of the house had bulged, the wood cracking with the force of it, splintering under the awesome, cataclysmic power the likes of which could never have been imagined until made real.

She had cared not for the impressive display, only on reaching her friend--her teacher. “Oh, God, no…no…” She had staggered to her feet, running towards the pile of rubble that had once been a lovely two story home.

Logan had busted his way through the wreckage, shouldering his way in a few steps ahead of her. She had retained an iota of hope against hope that they would find Charles until she saw Logan drop to his knees, his body seeming to give out from beneath him. “Nnnnnooooo.” His pain became hers when she followed his gaze and her eyes rested on the empty wheelchair.

Charles Xavier was dead.

Her knees gave out and she clung to Logan’s back, her sobs coming from deep inside, the very bottom of her soul. Charles Xavier was dead…she had failed him.


Ororo sat up, gasping for breath, her hand flying out to slap her offending alarm clock, accidentally knocking it to the floor. Wiping the sweat from her head with her forearm she waited for her heartbeat to decelerate to a near normal pace. When she was once more relatively calm she rolled from her bed, tugging on her thin silk robe. She didn’t bother knotting the sash, instead letting the material flutter behind her as she made her way downstairs to the kitchen.

Back in her youth in Africa she had slept naked more often than not, and had for a time at Xavier‘s, but given the number of times Scott had pulled random room checks and late night “emergency drills” she had given up nudity for comfortable and efficient boy shorts and tank tops.

A small smile graced her face as she removed the carton of eggs from the fridge, memories of Scott’s first random room check rising to the surface of her mind. She chuckled softly, cracking two eggs in one hand with practiced efficiency, dumping the contents into a small mixing bowl where she intended to add some milk and cheese for scrambled eggs.

A grumpy growl of a voice interrupted her thoughts. “I can’t imagine anything bein’ amusing at 5:30 in the damn morning’.”

She tossed a look over her shoulder, her warm eyes still dancing with her inner thoughts. Logan strode barefoot through the swinging door, wearing his blue jeans and with tank, one hand scratching the dark curls on his chest. “No?” She pursed her lips. “That’s unfortunate.”

“Ain’t it though?” He grunted, running the tap, testing the filtered water with his fingertips. Satisfied he filled the empty coffee carafe, pouring it into the machine. He cricked his neck, a loud popping sound was followed by a sigh of contentment. “Good stuff,” he muttered, opening the sealed coffee beans and pouring some into the grinder. “Yours?” he asked. Ororo was a bit of a coffee aficionado and whenever she stocked the coffee it was some of the best tasting stuff he’d ever had.

“Mmhm. Brazillian.” She began whisking her eggs.

They moved around one another easily, having over the past few months developed an early morning ritual that consisted of eggs, toast, coffee and mutual respect for the others space and quiet time. Ororo set the table for herself, knowing better than to offer Logan anything; he’d have his cup of black coffee, his morning beer and then be on his way, so she made a place setting only for herself.

Logan watched with mild interest as she laid down a placemat, fork, spoon, cup of juice, small bowl of fruit and of course her scrambled eggs and toast on a plate. She shook out a cloth napkin, no paper towels for her, and placed it on her lap. She picked up her fork, piled high with a steamy bite of egg, and took a bite, chewing slowly as she perused the headlines of the paper.

The early morning light, still more gray than anything, cast an eerie glow in the kitchen, making her hair shine more vivid than usual. She had let it grow out a bit in the past few months, the white strands brushing her shoulder blades. Her hair was constantly changing, Logan thought, pouring himself a cup of Brazilian brew and taking a drink. It was damn good. He’d once made a comment about her salon bill to which she had simply replied, “The seasons change, as do I.”

“Sleep alright?” he asked taking the seat across from her.

She looked up from the paper, a bit startled. “Yes, fine,” she lied. “And you?”

“Like a baby,” he lied in return.

She nodded. “Good.” She went back to reading. She flipped the paper over, the motion causing the silky material of her robe to slip, baring the smooth curve of her shoulder.

Logan paused in the act of taking a sip, his eyes resting on her satiny skin. There was something about Ororo that was indescribable. She was elegant and feminine without being pretentious. He reached over without thinking about it, righting her robe, the backs of his fingers lingering ever so slightly on her arm. It was a simple gesture, so light she barely felt it, but it sent a subtle undercurrent through both of them.

She looked up, her eyes meeting his and for a moment, just a brief moment, both were laid bare and vulnerable, each letting down their walls and revealing hurt, and ache…and perhaps promise. She blinked quickly, looking away. The moment was broken.

Logan finished his coffee, hastily getting up away from the table. His hands flexed at his sides. “Catch ya later, ‘Ro.”

She lifted her hand farewell, but didn’t look at him again. A few minutes later she heard the rumble of his motorcycle.

Ororo couldn’t finish her breakfast, for reasons she tried to convince herself that had nothing to do with Logan. She dumped the remains of her uneaten breakfast into the disposal before she returned to the stove. She piled the left over eggs from the pan onto a new plate, popped some fresh toast, buttered it and microwaved several strips of bacon.

“Something smells really good!” Robert Drake said as he entered the kitchen, another early riser. He took a deep breath, practically salivating.

Ororo smiled, gesturing to the table where she had already prepared him a plate.

“Storm, you are the best!” He began shoveling the food into his mouth before he’d even sat completely down on the chair.

“You say that now,” she teased. “Wait until this afternoon and I run you through about a dozen Danger Room drills.”

Bobby groaned. “You wouldn‘t be so cruel, would you?”

Ororo threw her head back and did her best diabolical laugh. “Mwuhahahaha, your soul belongs to me,” she hissed, allowing her eyes to glow white.

Bobby blinked, egg dropping from his fork onto his plate with a flop. “You can be downright scary, you know that.”

“Remember that.” she said lightly.

“Will do.”

After a quick clean up Ororo left the kitchen. Her hand strayed to her shoulder unconsciously as she walked up the stairs to her room. She tried ineffectually to shrug off the tingle that brief touch had given her, one that she felt even hours later while she was busy preparing the fall curriculum. It was nothing, she told herself. Well, that wasn’t entirely true. She had always found Logan to be particularly appealing, ever since she had met him on that cold Canadian road. There was something wild and primitive about him that called to her very core. As one child of nature to another.

He was also a monumental pain in her ass, she reminded herself. They could never be anything more than teammates, she corrected and solidified her earlier assessment. It was too complicated and too dangerous to get involved. Besides, she mused, flipping through her mountain of paperwork, it wasn’t like he had any real interest in her anyway. He was Jean’s. Even dead, the red head had more of Logan than Ororo could ever hope to, so why bother hoping? It could only lead to heartache and pain, and of that she’d had more than enough.

~X~


A few hours later the afternoon found Logan sitting on his bike, staring out past the overlook and into the city, bathed yellow by the noontime sun, but his mind wasn’t on the scenery, it was somewhere back at Xavier’s mulling over the complex woman that was Ororo Munroe. Unassuming and borderline Princess were his initial impressions of the white haired weather manipulator when they had first met, and over the course of the past two years he had come to see her differently. Fierce, loyal, protective, stubborn, willful and controlled. She had some amazingly good qualities, as well as some that made him want to wring her lovely little neck.

Where Jean had been warm and welcoming Ororo had always regarded him with cautious eyes. Where Jean pleaded with him: Please, Logan, don’t make me do this…Save me, please. Ororo demanded of him: If you’re with us, than be with us! She took no shit and made no excuses. He admired and resented that about her.

He thought briefly about their battles on Alcatraz and how she had followed his lead and taking control when necessary. She was a real leader, willing to bend when needed and unwilling when necessary. He unwillingness to bend where Jeannie was concerned still bothered him. She had seemed so quick to write Jean off as a lost cause and irredeemable. He wasn’t sure what bothered him more about that, the fact that she had been correct, or the fact that maybe she viewed him in the same way. Once a killer, always a killer, no redemption, no leeway, no forgiveness. Absently he rubbed the ridges between his knuckles where his claws emerged.

He knew in his current mood that he couldn’t head back to the Institute just yet. He needed a ride and a breather. He pulled his cell from his pocket, dialing Ororo’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hey, ‘Ro.” He shifted position, readying the bike for ignition. “I’m gonna take off for a bit.” It wasn’t a request.

He heard her sigh softly, a bit exasperated. “But I have you scheduled to run Peter through some new defensive programs today.”

“Them’s the breaks.”

“Alright, fine. I suppose I can fit it in with my schedule.” He heard papers rustling. “We have visits all day tomorrow. Will you be around?”

“Possibly. Probably not, though.” He checked the gas tank.

“Well,” he heard her teeth clamp. “When do you think that you will be back?”

“A day or two, tops.”

“Logan, now is not the best time for you to go disappearing. We have a million things to do.”

“First off, I’m not disappearing. I’ll be back in a day or two. Second, I don’t need any shit. I just called so you wouldn’t send the teenie-bop crew lookin’ for me and Marie wouldn‘t worry. I ain’t askin’ ya, darlin’, this is just a courtesy call so to speak. ”

“Courtesy noted. And, Logan…”

“Yeah?”

“I am not your darlin’.” She hung up.

Logan pulled his phone away from his ear. That hadn’t gone well.

~X~


Ororo slapped her cell phone shut, her face clouded with tension. She resisted the urge to yank her hair out with her hands. Plucking her scalp bald would solve nothing, perhaps cut down on her need for hair care products, but otherwise solve nothing.

She sighed softly moving aside her ledger and penciling in a defensive DR session with Peter. She’d have to put it between two potential staff interviews, but she supposed she could fit it in. She’d just move planning the events schedule until later that evening.

“Storm?” Kitty Pryde’s head phased through the door, her chestnut curls bobbing. “Madam Headmistress?” The girl teased.

Ororo smiled indulgently. “Hello, Kitty.”

“You know I hate when you do that.” Kitty scowled at the play on words.

“I know.” Ororo seemed unperturbed by that. “What can I do for you?”

“You have a phone call.”

Ororo glanced at her cell, then at her desk phone that was her private line. Her brow furrowed slightly. “I do?”

“Yeah, he called the house phone.”

Ororo rose, straightening her black pinstriped skirt and white shirt. “Did you get the name of who was calling?”

“Yep.” Kitty scrunched her nose. “He said you’d know him as ‘The Maker’.”

Ororo grimaced. “Forge.” Shit, she’d completely forgotten that she was supposed to have called him. A mutant blessed with the extraordinary ability to make whatever he thought of, Forge was the man responsible for the Blackbird, the cloaking devices, the Danger Room, the bullet proof leathers the team wore and countless other technological advances that the X-Men possessed. He was a good friend who at one time had expressed interest in dating Ororo, but after a few movies and dinners they had come to the mutual conclusion that they were not well suited.

“Okay, thanks, Kitten. I’ll take it in here.” Ororo pressed the blinking line a moment later when Kitty patched the call through.

“Hello, Forge?”

A smooth voice replied, “Ah, so you do remember me.”

“I am so sorry, Forge. I have a million things-”

“No worries, Windrider.” He paused. “My deepest sympathies on your losses.”

She swallowed. “Thank you. Do you have the new programs completed?”

Noting the quick topic shift Forge moved on. “Yep, sure do. Heat sensors and stun settings all ready to go.”

“Great.” She said. “I don’t suppose you can find time to come up and install them?” Without Charles to tap into Forge’s mind and set up the system Ororo was having to read the dictionary thick manuals and learn everything herself. It was a time consuming process.

“Sure. I can be there in less than a day.”

“Really? That quickly?”

“For you, absolutely.”

She smiled into the phone. “I appreciate that.”

“Alright then, I’ll see you soon.”

“Sounds good. Tell Val I send my best.” They said their goodbyes.

“He sounds cute.” Kitty’s head popped back in.

Ororo‘s eyes narrowed. “You eavesdropped?”

“I think of it as forgetting to hang up.” Kitty grinned cheekily. “So, is he?”

“What?”

“Cute, duh.”

Ororo nodded. “Very.”

“Oooooh.”

“And very married.”

Kitty’s face dropped. “Oh.”

Ororo cocked a brow. “Forge is too old for you.”

“Not for me,” Kitty sighed. “For you.”

Ororo blinked.

“You have no love life.” Kitty pointed out frankly.

“My love life is none of your concern.” Ororo said, straightening.

“What about Mr. McCoy? He’s hot if you like the furry blue types.”

“Out!” Ororo pointed her finger.

Kitty was halfway through the wood. “You could play Belle--”

“Out!”

“AndhecouldplayBeast!”

Ororo flounced into her chair. “That girl.” She shook her head, but Kitty’s words stayed with her. She had no love life. Had never really had one, to be truthful. Honestly she didn’t know what she’d do if she ever fell in love. She probably wouldn’t even recognize it if it was right in front of her face.
Two by windrider1


Logan wandered his way back to the mansion shortly after eight in the evening, a little over a day after he had called Ororo to inform her that he was taking a ride. His trip had been short, and not altogether that beneficial. There was something setting him on edge, and he couldn’t quite shake it or place it. It’d come to him eventually, he’d surmised, but in the meantime he would be on alert.

He parked his custom bike in the underground garage that housed a multimillion dollar collection of fine automobiles and took the elevator up to the main floor. The hall was empty when he stepped through the doors, an unusual occurrence that set him slightly on edge. There was more often than not at least one person roaming the corridors at any given time and seeing them empty so early in the evening caused him a moments pause and a quick sniff.

He caught several scents, all familiar but one. He focused on that one. He shrugged out of his heavy leather jacket, laying it across a nearby table, instinctively seeking more maneuverability. He flexed his shoulders beneath his ribbed tank and cracked his knuckles as he walked the hallway towards the den, where the scent was the strongest. Although new security measures had been taken throughout the estate after William Stryker’s successful ambush against the X-Men and students, that evening and it’s repercussions still hung with Logan in the back of his mind.

That one event was forever imprinted in Logan’s mind as the catalyst that had dominoed things so out of control. Jean’s sacrifice and ultimate resurrection had all been results of that night. Perhaps something else would have triggered the dormant powers within Jean, and she would have manifested her Phoenix personality regardless, no one, least of all him, would ever really know; all Logan knew for sure was that he never wanted to be caught off guard like that again. The consequences were far too high.

The hushed murmur of voices tickled his ears as he approached the end of the hall, one of them Ororo’s. Her tone was calm, pleasant even, holding no tension, so whomever the newcomer was wasn’t causing any trouble, but even that didn’t settle Logan completely. He paused outside the closed antique doors. That too was odd; ‘Ro hardly ever closed the doors. She never talked about it, but he got the distinct impression that she disliked enclosed spaces tremendously. The only time she closed doors was when she wanted privacy, or to be left alone. Seeing as how she had someone in the room with her, it was safe to assume she was after privacy.

Inside the cozy den Ororo placed the schematics Forge had given her on top of the coffee table. The plans were carefully detailed and worded so that she could follow them in case the need ever arose. Despite not being engineering savvy, Ororo was indeed very good at figuring out how things worked. Hank had once told her that he believed it was an integral part of her mutation to be able to see and understand the flows and patterns of energy. She didn’t much care where the trait came from, it was just good to have.

“Thank you again for coming up on such short notice,” Ororo said to the handsome Cheyenne man seated across from her in one of the rooms large wingback chairs.

“Not a problem,” Forge replied with a smile. “It has been awhile since my last visit. I only wish that I had come before…” He let the rest of the sentence go unsaid.

Ororo’s gaze lifted towards the wall where a new portrait of Charles hung over the polished mantle, painted so lifelike that it made her heart ache. Peter had certainly captured the essence of the man lovingly referred to most often as Professor. Seated in his trademark wheelchair and facing a group of eager faced students, the painting reflected exactly how she remembered her mentor looking, and exactly how she was certain he had wanted to be remembered.

Ororo let out her breath in a slow exhale. Far too many great leaders were taken from the world too soon and long before their due time. Xavier was no exception, but in his students the dream lived on, and for that Ororo was certain that he was proud.

“Every time I come home lately there’s a new mutant sitting in this room.” Logan stood in the doorway, arms at his side in a deceptively casual stance. He was of course referring to Hank McCoy’s surprise visit not too many months ago, when the blue mutant had told Charles, Ororo and Logan of Worthington Labs “cure”. Logan’s and Hank’s introduction had been rocky, seeing as how Logan distrusted most people on sight and Henry worked for the U/S Government but he and the Furball had struck a cord in the heat of battle and both men harbored a mutual respect for the other.

Ororo and Forge turned towards the newest den member in unison. The fact that neither heard the heavy doors open was not surprising to Ororo, given the stealth that Logan was capable of. He was surprisingly graceful and stealthy without even trying, yet when he put his mind to it, he could be downright uncanny.

“Perhaps you should stick around a bit more. Visitors would be far less likely to catch you unawares.” Ororo said by way of greeting.

“Hnh.” Logan strode fully into the den. His eyes flicked Forge up and down appraisingly. The Indian was tall, probably as tall as Logan, slimmer, and definitely fit. The other man held himself with the confidence of a person comfortable in their own abilities. There was something peculiar about the way the man leaned in his seat, Logan noted, almost favoring one side.

The Cheyenne stood, confirming Logan‘s musing as he stepped forward with a slight but definite limp. “The name’s Forge.” He held out one gloved hand.

Logan nodded, but made no move to take the outstretched gesture.

Left with no alternative Forge dropped his hand. “Okay, then.”

Ororo gave Logan a reproachful look before turning a placating smile onto her guest. “My apologies, Forge. We’ve barely taught him to stay. We’re still working on sit and shake.”

Logan glowered at her, but couldn‘t fully suppress his own amusement at her remark. The woman was not nearly so boring and easily disregarded as he had once believed her to be. Seated comfortably on the wide beige and gold swirled loveseat, with her hair pushed away from her face by a black band and wearing one of her favorite scarlet shirts she looked damn good. But then again, the dressing really didn’t matter. Ororo was beautiful regardless of the trimmings. It surprised him still that she had managed to keep herself so unassuming for so long.

“Where is everyone?” Logan gestured over his shoulder towards the empty hall.

“Here and there. Robert took Marie to the movies. Kitty and Jubilee went shopping and should be home shortly. A few students are in their rooms. Most of the children are in the Danger Room.” Ororo supplied.

One brow shot up. Ororo had them running simulations unattended? Granted the room was designed with fail safes that prevented any type of substantial injury, but there were still risks involved and rules to be followed. Ororo always put the safety of the students above everything else, so it made no sense that she‘d wouldn't do so now.

Sensing the direction of his thoughts, as she had a knack to do, Ororo stated, “They are playing with a new virtual game. Forge designed it.” She gave her companion another approving smile, that for some reason grated on Logan’s nerves.

“Fully interactive, like the Danger Room, except in fantasy games and quests,” Forge added, pride in his voice. He returned Ororo’s smile. A subtle growl raised the hair on the other man‘s neck.

“Fascinating.” Logan’s voice was flat.

“It’s a nice distraction.” Ororo commented. And the kids need it, went unsaid. Everyone in that institute had been affected by the recent events regarding mutant rights and the Phoenix, as well as the loss of a favorite teacher and the Professor, not simply the X-Men or the adults, but everyone. It was a lot to take in for such young people. Sadly, a few students had even left the school, unable to stay, pulled out by concerned parents. Ororo couldn’t altogether blame those parents. The Xavier Institute had been, and would likely remain, a target for those that wanted to oppress or rid the world of mutants.

“Aside from being Captain Nintendo, what is it you do?” Logan questioned.

“I work out of Baltimore. I’m an inventor.” Forge’s response was deliberately vague.

“Uh-huh.” Logan sat on the arm of one of the wingbacks. “You smell like a G-man.”

Forge blinked in surprise. “I do occasionally work for Secretary McCoy among other divisions.”

“Right.” Logan shook his head. “Government tool.”

It was Forge‘s turn to get a bit defensive and posture. “You have a problem with me?”

“Damn right I do.” Logan’s jaw was set.

Ororo knew that look all too well. He was about to get extremely bullheaded. She stood facing Forge. “Will you please excuse us for a moment?” Without waiting for a reply she turned icy blue eyes on Logan.

Shit, he was gonna hear it now.

With more calm than he knew she was feeling, Ororo motioned for him to step into the hallway. She closed the door to the den before whirling on him. “You do not get to come and go as you please with no cares or responsibilities and expect to have any say whatsoever in the goings on of this school, much less insult the people that help keep it running,” she hissed, careful to keep her voice low.

“I’ve never seen that guy in all the time I’ve been here,” Logan snapped back. “He can’t be that damn important.”

“That’s your point? You’ve never seen him? You never met Hank until recently either,” she countered. “Believe it or not, Logan, this school functioned before we hauled your ass in from Canada and amazingly enough with a whole bunch of people you’ve never met.”

She made her point, he had to grudgingly acknowledge. Not out loud of course. He tried a different tactic, less hostile. “Look, I just don’t think we need to have too many government agents with access to the mansion.”

“Then don’t think,” she snapped, irritation still showing. “You have no idea what it takes to keep this place operational. I‘ve known Forge longer than I‘ve known you and his background is far less suspect than your own. We have relied on him and his inventions for as long as I‘ve been here. How do you think we got the Blackbird? The Danger Room? Hm? Magical wishes?”

He spread his arms. “How the hell should I know--”

“You wouldn’t know, would you? That would require being aware of things outside of yourself.” Thunder rumbled overhead, heralding a warning to all that heard it that nature’s mistress was reaching the end of her rope.

Logan sighed, working the back of his neck with his hand. “I’m not questioning your ability to run the school, ‘Ro,” he said, guessing with dead-on accuracy the real source of her anger.

“Aren’t you?” she cut in, her eyes narrowed.

The door to the den opened before he could respond, giving him a momentary reprieve. Forge stepped into the hall, unintentionally placing himself between the two verbal combatants. He gave Ororo an apologetic look. “I hate to interrupt, but I really need to be getting back.”

“Of course.” Ororo’s eyes swirled, losing their icy glow and deepening to their warm brown once more. “Thank you again, for everything.”

“Anytime, Windrider.” He kissed her cheek, earning a dark look at the back of his head from the grumpy Canadian behind him. “If you have any questions about the programming I am certain that Doug or young Katherine could help you out. She had quite the knack for running the simulation.”

Ororo‘s smile was full of pride. “Yes, Kitty has many gifts. I‘ll see you out.”

“It’s no trouble,” Forge replied, casting an uneasy glance towards Logan. “I know my way around.”

She began walking. “I know, but I could use the air.”

Logan watched Ororo walk the corridor, speaking in low tones to the Cheyenne, but he caught a few words. “Is he always like that?”

“Mostly,” came Ororo’s response.

“He’s the one called Wolverine, right?”

“Yes.”

“Rumor has it that he’s the most dangerous man on the planet. Are you certain he’s safe to be around? Can he be trusted?”

Logan snarled, but his ears perked, awaiting Ororo’s response.

“I trust Logan. Completely.” Her voice held more than a grain of truth and a surprising amount of warmth. Whatever tension and odds were between them, she must have felt as he did, that given all they’d shared, the trust that had formed between them was genuine. Her next words gave him pause however. “Whether or not he’s safe, is a matter of perspective. There are a select few that never need to fear him. And then there is everybody else.”

The words faded to an undistinguishable muffle as the large front doors of the Mansion closed behind the two, leaving Logan alone in the hall.

Outside in the drive Ororo lifted her hand in farewell, watching the taillights of Forge’s Jeep Liberty until they faded from view. She still wasn’t ready to go back inside, but she knew she had to. There was a mountain of paperwork still left to do and she had to make a grocery list for tomorrow, and the semester classes still hadn’t been completely pounded out. Not to mention she had staff interviews to conduct. She wished Moira MacTaggart would call her back and let her know if Sean Cassidy, Theresa’s father, would be taking the position as math teacher.

Dividing up Scott’s classes wasn’t all that difficult, but finding the staff to do it was another story. Not that she didn’t have applicants, because she did, but without the benefit of an adept telepath it was all the more difficult to weed out those with ulterior motives. Sean was a safe bet. His daughter, affectionately dubbed Siryn due to her sonic scream, had been a student for over three years and he had been a friend to both Charles and Moira.

It was odd that Moira hadn‘t called her back yet. Ororo shrugged to herself. She imagined that Moira was probably increasingly busy with mutants being in the news so much lately. Her research center off the coast of Scotland on a private island, Muir Island to be specific, was secluded, but not private; therefore Moira and her staff attended to a variety of patients mutant and ‘flatscan’ humans alike.

Ororo sat on the cool stone steps, resting her chin thoughtfully in her palm. She supposed she could take the advanced math class on herself, she was definitely qualified for it. However, the mechanics class was way out of her league. She sighed. There was no getting around it. Loathe as she was to do it, she would have to ask Logan to take the class. He was the only one at the Mansion qualified to fill in.

She drummed her fingers against her cheek. Logan was more than intelligent enough to take on the academic portion of the mechanics class, he was one of the smartest men she knew, and he was as definitely skilled beyond compare in the construction portion, but to give him the class meant relying on him to be, well, reliable. It was a word she didn’t associate with the feral who was prone to disappearing for months on end.

She glanced at her watch: twenty to nine. Ororo rose, dusting the back of her black pants with her hands. Nothing was getting done with her sitting on the front porch. Resolutely she marched back into the Mansion and headed towards Charles‘--her--office. She glanced about as she strode the halls, wondering where Logan had wandered off to. As she passed one of the east windows she noticed the flame atop Xavier’s memorial flicker. Knowing that there was no breeze outside Ororo paused, her eyes, keen in even the deepest dark, picked out a solitary shadow in the garden.

She should have known. After nearly two days away of course he’d have to go and see her. The old adage about a moth and a flame popped into her head, and Ororo felt a genuine pang of sympathy for the man that would forever love that unattainable and elusive beauty. With a heavier heart than before she continued down the hall. Not since the afternoon she had offered a shoulder to Kitty had Ororo stood in front of Jean’s grave. She laid flowers atop Charles’ and Scott’s regularly, but for some reason, undefined even to herself, Ororo had not spared Jean’s tombstone even a cursory glance during her visits.

Not wanting to think of the redhead that she had loved more than a sister Ororo locked herself in her office, immediately burying herself in her work, hoping to submerge any thoughts not directly related to budget and academia beneath the stacks before her.


~X~


The garden smelled of exotic flowers.

Logan placed his previously removed cigar back in his shirt pocket, unlit. He didn’t want to disturb the earthy, somehow satisfying bouquet. As much as he enjoyed the aroma and taste of a fine hand rolled Cuban, this was not the place for it.

He gave Xavier’s monument a slight smile. He remembered well the threats Xavier dolled out to him whenever Logan attempted to light a cigar within the Mansion walls. The only place he got away with it was the Danger Room, and even then it was iffy depending on the scenario they were running.

He stepped past the larger memorial and stood facing one of two smaller ones. Side by side Jean lay with the man who had been her love in life, and the one she took with her in death.

Logan couldn’t remember ever truly theologizing anything, but he to his metal laced bones, felt that Jean had somehow known how it would all turn out and had ensured that Scott would forever be with her. He couldn’t explain it, but that day in the infirmary when he had been so close to having her, right there on the examination bed, he had looked into her eyes and seen forever. The beginning, the end, and all the in-between. Conscious of it or not, Jean must have known the same.

The Professor had explained that the Phoenix personality as the part of Jean that hungered for and fed on the most primal emotions. Fear, anger, lust and rage. All the things that made up Logan, he had to ruefully admit. Jean hadn’t wanted him, the Phoenix had. Jean had wanted Scott, always had. She cared for him, he knew, without a doubt she cared for him and had perhaps loved him in her own way, but not with the all consuming fire that she had loved Scott. For a long time Logan had tried to convince himself that she could love him like that, that he could make her love him like she loved Scott, but in the end she had seen the very depths of his love for her and even as “I love you” passed his lips to her ears she had not returned the sentiment. She had smiled adoringly up at him as she had let go of life, but in her infinite gaze all Logan had seen was a longing for the man already on the other side, waiting for her.

He was surprised to find that the normally painful ache that clutched his chest during thoughts like those was curiously absent. His gaze flicked up and back towards the Mansion and the balcony that Ororo frequented. Thinking of her brought forth an unfamiliar zing of awareness. He shook his head, best get thoughts like those right outta your head, Bub.

~X~


Magneto? No. Mystique? Nope. Callisto? Haha, no chance. Paperwork. Paperwork was her worst enemy, Ororo decided leaning back in her chair and rubbing the spot between her eyebrows with her index finger.

She gave a sigh that showed clearly her exasperation. She was so fed up with forms she could scream. She’d been working on the same repetitive documents for hours and although she had made serious headway she had also earned a serious headache. How on earth had Charles managed all of this and still remained sane? She wondered. Of course, he’d had Jean, Scott and herself to help organize everything and handle most of the scheduling and curriculum. Now it was just her, doing what normally took at least four to accomplish.

It still irked her that she would have to ask Logan for assistance. He had never shown any signs of interest in the educational aspect of Xavier’s, aside from the occasional Danger Room session, and more often than not Ororo believed he had stayed on more out of longing for Jean than for any type of obligation that he may have had to the Institute.

She had fully expected him to pack up and hightail it out of there after Alcatraz, and to be completely honest, she would not have blamed him or thought less of him for it. She herself had found it near unbearable to be in the Mansion after Charles’ death. But the school was his greatest achievement and the students the bearer of his dream and Ororo would be damned before she walked away from it or them.

Resigning herself to another bout with scheduling conflicts she opted to go get a drink of water, some Excedrin and to go check on the students.

~X~


Logan found himself glancing at his bedside clock for what felt like the tenth time in as many minutes. It was nearly one in the morning and he hadn’t heard Ororo head for the balcony yet. It unnerved him a bit how much he’d come to rely on her consistency, it had been part of the reason he had returned from his breather so soon, but he didn’t care to dwell on that. He cocked his head to the side, listening to the sounds of the mansion.

Jubilee had fallen asleep with her headphones still playing some God awful pop music, he could hear. Kitty was sleeping soundly, as were Peter and Marie. Bobby was still online, though he shouldn’t be looking at the sites he was looking at; even with the sound turned low it was distinctive, Logan thought with a wry twist of his lips. He’d let it slide. After all, all anyone had to do was lift his mattress and they’d be witness to some classic Playboy and a few less classy mags.

He sat forward on his bed, his elbows on his knees, his attention being drawn by a husky whisper of sound. Faint. Several walls away. He closed his eyes and concentrated, filtering out any unnecessary sound, focusing entirely on the faint murmuring, a murmuring that turned out to be soft humming.

A lullaby. Ororo was humming a lullaby. He turned his face, tilting his ear toward the sound. She was in Jimmy’s room, he realized. The boy must have had another nightmare. He hadn’t made a sound, Logan knew, because he hadn’t heard him, but Ororo had a way of knowing whenever Jimmy needed her.

Logan was all too familiar with the pains of night terrors, and for just a second he allowed himself a twinge of envy towards the child who had Ororo’s strong arms and soft voice to soothe away the fear and hurt of those invasive dreams.

After a few more minutes, and a whispered goodnight he heard the latch of Jimmy’s door click closed. Ororo’s footfalls were light as she padded down the hallway, obviously barefoot. Logan’s interest perked when she stopped just outside of his door. He could hear her breathing and smell her scent, reminiscent of the garden. His own breathing seemed to pause as he waited, uncertain as to what he was waiting for exactly. A moment later she continued walking and he let out a puff of breath that he hadn‘t realized he was holding.

Not two seconds later he heard her mutter something under her breath and head back his way. He watched with mild amusement the play of shadow beneath the crack of his door, wondering what her next move was going to be.

“Logan,” she whispered. “Are you awake?” She sounded like half of her hoped he was sound asleep.

Curious now, Logan made his way to the door. He opened it fully, his brow lifted in polite inquiry.

Momentarily caught off guard by the magnificence of his bare chest, Ororo blinked twice before she said, “Oh. Hello.”

This caused an amused smirk to grace sculpted lips.

Ororo didn’t understand her consternation, after all she had seen him shirtless dozens of times. Perhaps it was the fact that it was well into the forbidden hours of the night, when the good were resting and the wicked were cavorting that made her thoughts stray in such a manner, but regardless of the reason she put a quash to that line of thinking immediately.

When she still hadn’t given reason for her presence outside his room, Logan couldn’t help himself, the urge to instigate Ororo seemed somehow ingrained in his nature. “Got an itch you need scratched?” he drawled, his smile slow and infinitely seductive.

Ororo lifted one brow, her mouth firming. “I came to talk.”

Logan shrugged easily. “Call it what you want. No one I know wants to talk at one in the morning.”

Something in his tone gave him away and Ororo knew that he was purposefully goading her. Perhaps it was because he did it so frequently but whatever the reason she picked up on the baited words and she decided that she could easily play damsel to his wolf. Masking her inner mischievous thoughts she dropped her gaze demurely and whispered, “So, how about it, big boy. You want to scratch my itch,” she drew the words out in a hushed hiss.

Logan shifted in the doorway, his blood suddenly heavy. She turned her face up at him, her mouth forming a pretty pout and he knew that she had caught on to his instigator tactic. She batted her ridiculously long lashes rapidly, feigning doe eyes. “You are the one with the claws,” she reminded him saucily running the very tip of her index finger in a slow swirl through his mat of chest hair.

The little tease.

Logan’s fingers shackled her wrist. Enormously strong yet infinitely gentle. His mouth curved wickedly at her startled expression. Clearly she had no idea who she was playing with. You didn’t poke fun at the Wolverine and not get a response of equal measure.

Ororo realized her folly a moment too late. Darkening eyes slid over her tank top and boy short combo, and despite the cotton barrier Ororo felt completely exposed. She cursed the blush flooding her cheeks. She knew when she was beaten in the game and decided it was time to retreat back to the safe bank of the hallway, but before she could vocalize her withdrawal Logan growled sub-vocally, tugging her forward.

“C’mere, Princess.” His lips touched hers. Cool, firm and velvet soft.

It started as a tease, a call to her mischievous bluff, but the moment his lips touched hers fire raced through Logan’s veins and his heart thundered in his ears. He pressed more fully, needing to somehow assuage the terrible hunger that was sweeping over him, a hunger that was a mix of sexual need and possessive lust. He inhaled her scent, took it deep inside and savored it. He felt her stiffen, try to back away, but when he slanted his mouth she moaned.

Ororo sighed softly, giving herself up to the hot, hungry persistence of Logan’s mouth. His teeth tugged at her lower lip, persistent little nibbles that were at once enticing and endearing. His hands moved to her hips where they flexed in the soft cotton. They tightened, drawing her past the threshold, their heat persuasive.

Down the hall a doorknob turned and the effect was the equivalent to a bucket of ice water being tossed over the lip locked twosome. Ororo drew back hastily, her eyes wide and luminous on her face. She spoke before he could, trying to brush off the moment with a forced smile and a less than convincing laugh, “Well, what do you know, itch scratched.” She was proud that her voice was relatively calm and casual.

Bobby stepped out of his room, drawing their attention, rubbing his eyes in a sleepy stupor. He barely seemed conscious as he headed for the stairs, mumbling something about “thirsty”.

Ororo took the diversion Bobby provided as an opportunity to mutter a quick, “Goodnight,” and made a hasty retreat.

Logan said nothing, watching her flee down the corridor. Slowly he closed his bedroom door, stepping over scattered beer cans. He wiped his fingers along the sides of his mouth, a thoughtful look on his inordinately handsome face.

The kiss had been better than any of his imagined fantasies involving Storm. He was a man, so of course he fantasized, he’d be hard pressed not to with a body like hers tucked in black leather on a regular basis. But never in all of his secret dreams did he picture himself lip sucking Ororo Munroe in the hallway after midnight like some furtive teenager on Mommy and Daddy’s porch.

He settled against his headboard, a genuine smile tugging his lips for the first time in months.

Ororo was all the way back up the stairs to her room before she realized she had never even gotten around to mentioning the Mechanics class. She touched her lips with her fingertips; she swore she felt ‘supercharged’. She shook her head. Get a grip, she chided. It was only a kiss. Only a playful interlude between teammates, nothing more than that. She pressed her hands to her face, her burning cheeks contradicting the lie.

She felt a giddy warmth seep into her body, thinking of only moments ago and the way Logan’s mouth had so skillfully taken over hers. It was better than she had imagined it would be, she admitted to herself, settling under the covers in her bed. Much, much better…
Three by windrider1


“Do we really need an entire case of eggs?”

Ororo glanced away from the road towards the brown-haired woman contemplating their grocery list in the passenger seat beside her. Kitty, with her chestnut hair pulled back in a neat braid, was scanning the inventory list Ororo had drawn up with a pensive frown.

“At the very least,” Ororo confirmed, returning her gaze back to the freeway. She flicked a quick check in the review, assuring herself that Jimmy was fine.

The young mutant was busy playing one of those handheld games, a PSP she believed he had called it. Jimmy loved to lose himself in the fantasy world of video games. Alcatraz Island the games had been his sole means of escape, and had since become a crutch for him.

Ororo was gradually trying to wean him away from that and bring him out of his shell. It was tricky because she did not wish to force him, knowing how jarring that could be. Kitty was a great benefit in this area. Ororo speculated that Jimmy had developed a bit of hero worship where Kitty was concerned. She had been the one to risk her neck and rescue him from the Juggernaut.

A faint shudder went through Ororo as she recalled the lumbering giant of a man that had beat the hell out of Logan, and flung him around as if he was a rag doll. The fact that Kitty had faced this man down and come away alive, much less victorious, spoke volumes of the young woman’s bravery and ingenuity.

“There’s some seriously weird crap on this list,” Kitty continued. “Squid? Who the heck eats squid? Please tell me that’s not the secret ingredient in the Krabby Patties.” She scrunched her nose.

“This coming from the girl who likes chocolate covered pickles,” Jimmy chimed in from the back seat.

“Hey,” Kitty turned in her seat so that she could see him. “You’re the one that got me hooked on them.” she accused.

Jimmy smiled at his game screen.

It did Ororo’s heart good to see that. The previous evening’s nightmare had been entirely too graphic and had caused Jimmy quite a bit of anxiety. In the dream they had been back on Alcatraz and all around him people were screaming as they became ashes, which had actually happened and the poor child had witnessed this as Kitty had ushered him to safety, but then the dream had altered reality and the dying had turned on him, crying out that it was all his fault.

Ororo knew from experience how much it hurt to feel responsible for things beyond one’s own control. As a child in Africa she had learned quite young the consequences of her powers and the good as well as the bad that came with them. She couldn’t fathom, however, the weight this poor boy thought believing that he was responsible for all the destruction caused by Magneto and Phoenix.

“We’ll never fit all of this in the back,” Kitty stated. “The laws of physics being what they are and all.”

Ororo lifted a brow. The mutant that could phase through matter was spouting physics as a certainty? Kitty was full of contradictions today. “Most of our supplies will be delivered,” Ororo acknowledged. “But there are a few items I like to take care of personally.” Such as the soaps and detergents, feminine products and certain organic foods. Ororo, at times, was very, very particular and there were some things best not left in the hands of others.

Besides, it was a means to escape the confines of her office for a few hours. That room was beginning to feel like a prison.

Kitty folded the list back up and opened the latch of the glove box placing it inside, unable to phase through due to Jimmy’s close proximity.

Jimmy‘s mutation was the unique ability to neutralize other mutants’ abilities by effectively retarding the mutant genome on a cellular level. Unlike Rogue, who had the ability to absorb another mutants powers upon direct skin contact, Jimmy did not gain any abilities, nor did he need to be in direct contact. Jimmy’s mutation was effective continuously at an approximate six foot radius.

The results of Jimmy’s power was not permanent; their mutation didn‘t disappear, but the brain was unable to recognize it and therefore it was shut off until out of range. Worthington Labs, however, had found a way to isolate Jimmy’s mutated cells and create a ‘vaccine’ for mutants--a cure--suppressing the “x” genes permanently.

This made other mutants considerably uncomfortable being around him, and Ororo knew that bothered the boy. She, herself, was one of the many mutants comfortable with their powers, and in fact, she enjoyed having them. Being around Jimmy had at first been a bit disconcerting. It had taken her some time to adjust to not see the colors on the wind or feel the energy of the planet sing through her body, but after awhile she had gotten used to the “powered down” feeling.

“Who‘s running the School while we‘re shopping?” Kitty asked, bringing Ororo out of her inner musing.

Ororo cast her a sidelong glance. “Logan is there.”

“And he’s ok with babysitting the Mansion?”

“Why wouldn’t he be?” Ororo responded evasively.

“You didn’t ask him did you?”

“I don’t have to ask Logan anything.” Her voice held a hint of haughtiness.

Kitty smirked. Nothing irked Ororo more than having her authority questioned. “Okay, let me rephrase that. You didn’t tell him, did you?”

“I did.” Well, technically she had left a note on his door: ‘Gone shopping. Don’t kill anyone. Be back at dinner.’

Kitty stared at her for a moment. “Are you sure the place will even be standing when we get back?”

“Not entirely, no,” Ororo admitted with a slight grimace. She hadn’t wanted to leave Logan in charge, but she was left with few alternative options. Bobby wasn’t quite responsible enough, and Peter’s soft heart was too easily swayed by a pouty face, Kitty was with her, and Marie… well, she and Marie had barely spoken in the past few months.

Ororo had not invited the gulf between her and the southern belle, but nor did she try and breech it. The cause of their dissent was based in Rogue’s decision to take the cure. The younger woman no longer wished to live without basic human contact; and that was entirely her choice. Ororo accepted that. She didn’t like it, but she accepted it.

Marie was welcome to stay in the Mansion, welcome to attend classes, as were any other non-mutant students--of which they had twenty five--and she would always have a home with them.

A place on the X-Men was debatable. None of the reasons for Ororo’s hesitation in reinstating Marie had anything to do with the fact that the girl was no longer a mutant. The X-Men had faced their greatest threat and suffered through their darkest hour and Rogue had not been with them. By her choice. The other girl had put herself ahead of her team and her would-be family. Her emotional issues ran deep and until they were sorted and clear Ororo couldn’t trust that Marie wouldn’t make the choice of herself over her team again. That was why she was reluctant to allow Marie on missions and in the Danger Room, but convincing Marie of that fact was near impossible. She felt slighted and outcast once again. Her only comfort was that she got to keep her boyfriend, and even that didn‘t seem to remove the perpetual morose look on her face.

“Is there something on your mind, Kitten?” Ororo asked when Kitty continued to stare at her. She signaled a lane change.

“Weeeell, now that you mention it.” Kitty sat forward, her face expectant. “Bobby says you and Logan have a thing. He says he saw two kissing in the hall last night.”

Ororo turned, startled, the motion jerking the wheel and sending the van swerving. She quickly righted the vehicle but the sudden movement had betrayed her.

Kitty grinned. “That’s a confirmation.”

Ororo wiped a lock of hair from her brow before she replied in a chill voice. “Robert is mistaken.”

“So you weren’t doing the ole tongue tango? The Greco-Roman lip lock?”

“Kitty.”

“Weren’t playing uvula tag? Spit swap?”

“Kitty.”

“Oral twister? Wrestling-”

“Katherine!”

“What?” She blinked innocently. With Jimmy in the car there was no fear of an “accidental” jolt, an opportunity that Kitty took full advantage of.

“I will only say this once. There is no “thing” between me and Logan.” Ororo hoped her voice didn’t betray the slight hurt that statement caused. She pushed the minor sting aside. As attractive as she found him, and she’d be a big fat liar to pretend otherwise, there was no way she was risking her heart to a man clearly not suited for her. What she had for Logan was a mere spark compared to the raging inferno of a torch that he carried for Jean.

“Hm. That’s too bad,” Kitty murmured thoughtfully. “I always thought you two looked great together. Very aesthetically pleasing.”

Ororo rolled her eyes heavenward. “Thank you. I appreciate the…uh, compliment.”

“Made you sound like a rug,” Jimmy pointed out.

Kitty shot him a frustrated look.

He shrugged. “It did.”

“Go back to your Pokémon,” Kitty said with a teasing smile.

“It’s Tekken Dark Resurrection.”

“Whatever.”

Jimmy poked his tongue out.

Ororo smiled, changing lanes again. As she did her eyes were drawn to the dark blue sedan that followed suit. After a few minutes she switched lanes again and so did the other car. Her eyes narrowed.

She maneuvered towards the break-down lane. Not wanting to alarm her passengers she said, “You know, I think we may have a flat.”

Kitty took a quick look out her window. “Tires on my side look fine to me.”

“You’re probably right, but I want to double check.” Ororo pulled the vehicle to a halt, her hazard lights blinking. She watched carefully as the dark sedan slowed, but didn’t stop, going past. Honda Civic. New Jersey plates. LX 8390.

She waited a minute before pulling back onto the highway.

“You didn’t check the tires,” Jimmy pointed out.

Ororo didn’t reply, her eyes sweeping the traffic for the dark Civic. A few miles ahead the sedan was pulled over. She slowed as she passed. Two men, both in suits wearing dark glasses, one on a cell phone.

Kitty tensed in her seat and Jimmy seemed to draw back, pushing himself into the cushions. Ororo sped up.

“Storm?” Jimmy sounded so small.

She reached behind her, over her seat back, searching for him. “Hey, buddy.” He took her hand, and she felt his tremble.

Ororo and Kitty exchanged looks.

Deciding to ease a tense situation with levity, Kitty chuckled, “Someone should call the paranoia police on all of us.”

Ororo let out a slow breath. She squeezed Jimmy’s hand reassuringly before releasing it. “Absolutely,” she agreed with a smile that glowed. Ororo’s smile could always lift spirits, it was yet another of the many features that made her such a comfort to the students of Xavier’s. “Probably just a couple of bankers,” she added.

“Mafia hit men,” Kitty added, her eyes twinkling. “Jersey plates.”

“Ah.” Ororo nodded. “Of course.”

In the back seat Jimmy huddled against the door.

~X~



Logan hadn’t been inside of the infirmary since the day Jean busted her way out of the lab and made a permanent dent in the thick steel wall with his body.

He hadn’t been avoiding the room, per se; after all, he really had no need for the place. At least not lately, and since he was by no means a qualified doctor, he saw no reason to be there. That was until Marie had decided to try her skills as a New England Patriot wide receiver courtesy of Captain Nintendo.

“Hurry up, Logan. It hurts.” Marie winced as she limped alongside him, her knee scraped and bloody, the leggings torn.

He gave her a disgruntled look. “Should know better than to try and run towards a four hundred pound man hell bent on stompin’ you.”

“Hey,” she grumped. “I at least made a goal.”

“Touchdown,” he corrected.

She grimaced in response.

“What the hell were you thinkin’? You don’t even like sports.” He opened one of the cupboards, shuffling through containers looking for some gauze and alcohol. “Or video games for that matter,” he turned towards her holding a clear bottle.

“Bobby does.” She said quietly, her face pensive.

As does Kitty, Logan thought but left it unsaid. He shook his head slightly, more to himself than anything. Even after taking the cure and being able to touch her boyfriend, to stake her claim, Marie was still insecure about her and Popsicle’s relationship.

Not that she didn’t have reason to be, he thought wiping her knee with a cotton ball liberally doused with isopropyl alcohol. The look she gave him as the stinging liquid touched her gash told him that she wished for a moment to have her powers and yank his healing. But she couldn’t. She’s made the ultimate sacrifice for love, and in the end it may have been for nothing.

He would never think to tell her that, but he wasn’t blind, and he saw the way Bobby looked at Kitty. There was a subtle undercurrent that flowed between those two whenever they were in the same room together and Marie must have felt it.

What made it worse for her was that despite being able to, Bobby had yet to make any move that would take their relationship to the next level. It made her feel betrayed somehow. She had taken the cure so they could be together and he wasn’t even taking advantage of that.

“You know, kid, there comes a time when you’ve gotta stop tryin’ to be someone other than who you are in order to please some boy.” Logan tossed the cotton balls in the trash.

Marie lifted her eyes to his, still sparking with that bit of sass that had endeared her to him from the beginning. “Thanks much Dr. Phil.” Though said in jest her tone implied that this was a subject that she wasn’t ready to delve into just yet.

He pressed a piece of clean gauze over her scrape, taping it in place. “All set, roughhouse.”

“Thanks, Logan.” She touched his arm, something she did frequently now that she could. “For everything.”

“Sure.” He shrugged, giving her one of his patented lazy smiles.

“You hungry?” she asked as she hopped down from the table.

They turned towards the door and both paused. The deep indent caused by Logan was still in the wall beside the fixed doors, a few feet deep and shadowed.

His smile evaporated. “No.”

She nodded stepping away, still slightly limping. She paused at the door. “Logan?”

He glanced at her. “Hnh?”

“I know how hard it is to let go of something you believe to be precious, but when that something hurts you and threatens to destroy everything you love, it needs to be put down.” With those parting words, that were as much for him as for herself, Marie left him alone in the infirmary.

He stared at the body dent in the wall for a long time. Had he been a normal man he would have been killed by the blow Jean had dealt him. As it was he had been unconscious for nearly twenty minutes before Ororo and Xavier had found him on the floor.

Jean’s telepathy had prevented Xavier from knowing what was going on and her unmatched telekinesis rerouted the alarms so no one even knew she had left until she was long gone. Smart girl, that Jeannie.

He remembered well waking up, dazed, and calling out for the redhead. But it hadn’t been her face that had greeted him, it had been Ororo kneeling before him, her eyes alive with concern. For him, he had realized belatedly. She had feared for Jean and was worried about her, but in that moment she had cared for him more. In spite of the strain that seemed to come so natural between them now he knew without a shadow of a doubt that Ororo cared about him. Deeply. As much as she had cared for Scott and Jean. He wasn’t sure how to handle that. He wasn’t used to someone worried about him.

With a sigh and muted curse he left the indent, the memories and, surprisingly, some of the pain behind him as he headed back upstairs to see what other mini crisis needed his attention.

He was lucky, most of the kids feared him so much that they were model examples of good behavior. Of course his rounds of walking the halls and snarling had pretty much ensured that, but every now and again some ‘travesty’ occurred amongst the students that needed to be sorted or settled.

As the doors opened on the first floor and a shriek of indignity reached his ears followed by the ’pap’ that could only be one particular Asian, he thought fleetingly about Ororo’s note and wondered how mad she’d be if he duct taped everyone to the walls.

~X~



“I think that’s everything.” Ororo checked off her list with Mr. Finn, the grocer that supplied the foods for delivery to the Institute, and had since before Ororo herself had been recruited.

“Expect delivery sometime between six and eight this evening,” he told her placing his copy of the list on his clipboard.

Ororo smiled. She liked to watch Mr. Finn speak. His weathered old face had great depth, but it was his massive walrus mustache that did her in every time. “That sounds good.”

Mr. Finn scribbled her a receipt. “There you go, dear.”

She pocketed the small slip of paper. “Thanks.” She scanned the store for any sign of Kitty or Jimmy, likely together as he never strayed far from her side.

“Across the street at the arcade. The girl was asking about a Pac-Man machine,” Mr. Finn told her pointing.

“Thanks again,” Ororo said heading the way he had indicated.

The arcade was busy but not packed. Ororo spotted her wayward students easily and was heading towards them when a lanky teen with rust colored hair and the beginnings of a bad beard darted out from the shadows of the room, colliding with her and knocking her onto her back.

The teen scrambled to their feet continuing on their mad dash towards the back exit calling a hasty, “Sorry,” over their shoulder, revealing a mouthful of fang.

Ororo rolled, rising to her feet. “What the…?”

The reason for the teen’s frantic run became evident as three other teenagers raced through the aisles as well, following out the back door and into the alley hollering for the “Mutie!” to stop.

Ororo didn’t hesitate, pursuing the chaotic parade. She called for Kitty as she slammed out the fire exit. At the end of the alley, pressed back to a chain link fence the mutant teen was cornered. Two of the attackers in black tank tops were tossing bottles and rocks at the young mutant while the third paced with a baseball bat, taunting. The words spewing from his mouth made Ororo think of Logan’s more colorful phrases.

“Hey!” Ororo shouted, striding towards them purposefully.

One pimple faced punk gave her a passing glance over his shoulder. “Beat it lady. This ain’t your business.”

“Mutie freak!” An amber beer bottle smashed against the fence raining glass and stale beer over the cowering mutant, who snarled in response, their face and nose becoming more pronounced, extending.

Ororo called forth a deafening clap of thunder, startling the boys into turning around. She gazed at them with vivid white eyes. “I’m making it my business.”

“Jesus Christ another one!” The skinniest of the three said, his eyes bulging nearly out of his sockets.

“Step away.” Thunder cracked again, this time in unison with the flash of lightning overhead. “Now.”

“Take her down!” The apparent alpha of the group shouted.

Ororo cocked her head, allowing them to see her smirk. “Oh, please.” She waved her hand and a gust of wind split them, tossing the two followers against the left wall and the would be ringleader against the bricks on the right with audible thumps. “Stay put. If you get up I will show you what happens to little boys that like to be bullies.” Ororo intoned in her best teacher voice.

They moaned but made no attempt to rise.

Ororo moved slowly towards the growling form still pressed against the fence. “Take it easy I’m not going to hurt you.” She held out her hand, forced to draw it back in order to avoid the teeth snapping at it.

She studied the too thin mutant with a calculating eye. Rust colored fur, gaping mouth with fangs, wild yellow eyes. A feral. Most likely a metamorph. She smiled reassuringly, trying again. “It’s okay now.”

“Stay back!” The voice was muddled, hoarse and barely recognizable as human. At first Ororo thought it was a threat but the next words belied that. “Please, I dinna wanna hurt ye.” The voice was lilted, and softer. A female.

“Are you hurt?” Ororo asked, remaining where she was but making no move forward, letting the girl know without words that she respected her wishes, but wasn’t going to leave.

“Nae.”

“Do you have a name.”

There was a shudder from the girl. “Mutie.”

Ororo bit back a savagely scathing comment about the people that threw around that term like it was a curse. “Please,” she implored gently. “Tell me your name.”

So quiet she almost missed it. “Rahne.”

Ororo smiled. “That’s a lovely name.” She regarded the tattered clothes and the too thin frame. A brief flash of her own past rose in her mind’s eye and Ororo remembered how it felt to be hungry and dirty on the streets. “Rahne, can I take you home?”

The girl made a choked sound that bordered between growl and sob. “I have’n got a home.” The fur was receding revealing pale skin and smattering of freckles. There was a grating crunching sound as Rahne’s face reshaped itself into that of a lovely young girl with a dimpled chin.

Ororo held out her hand once more. “You do now.”

Rahne blinked up at the woman in front of her, expecting to see loathing or pity, but all she saw was warmth and compassion. She hesitated only a moment before throwing herself bodily at her white haired savior and sobbing.

Ororo, a bit startled, closed her arms around the girl, murmuring soft soothing sounds.

“Storm!” Kitty and Jimmy were in the alley, a short distance away.

Ororo lifted her hand, indicating that all was well. Too soon it turned out. Tires squealed and all eyes swung towards the dark blue sedan barreling down on Kitty and Jimmy.

“Kitty! Grab Jimmy!” Ororo shouted. Kitty yanked the younger boy into her arms, trusting Storm.

Ororo, far enough away from Jimmy not to be effected by his power rose to her feet, shielding young Rahne behind her back and using a concentrated gust of wind to lift Kitty and Jimmy over the car.

It wasn’t something that she could sustain and manage to maneuver herself and Rahne out of the car’s path, so as soon as the two were clear she let them drop behind the sedan.

Kitty, relying on her training and instinct grabbed Jimmy’s hand and raced back into the arcade.

No mistaking the car, it was the same Civic as before. So much for bankers, Ororo thought as she gripped Rhane under her arms and lifted them onto the roof of the grocery store.

Tremors shook the teen and her hair started to sprout tufts again.

Below them the back door of the arcade slammed open again and Kitty and Jimmy stumbled into the alley, two men in suits following them out. The Civic’s doors opened allowing the two men from before to get out.

Kitty pulled Jimmy tight against her, turning in a circle, feeling helpless in the face of the odds, but she refused to show it. A hand closed around her arm, trying to shake Jimmy free of her grasp. Kitty hugged him tighter. “Back off, ass-wipes!”

On the roof Ororo turned to Rhane. “Can you drive?”

The girl looked at Ororo like she was daft. “I’m only fourteen.”

“Can you try?” Ororo asked hurriedly.

The girl nodded vigorously.

Ororo fished the keys to the van out of her front pocket. “Black van, it has a large X on the side. Parked out front of Finn‘s. Get it ready and meet us at the end of the alley. Can you do that?” Ororo leveled her a steady look, knowing it was an awful lot to ask of someone she’d known for all of two minutes and even more of a burden for the girl to involve herself with complete strangers, who were obviously in a world of shit.

Rahne nodded once more before loping towards the opposite side of the roof and leaping to the ground.

Ororo took to the air, rising above the alley. The four men were too close to Kitty and Jimmy for her to use a lightning attack, and a cyclone was out of the question. With a battle cry that would have done Wolverine proud she dropped to the ground swinging.

The first blow she swung caught the man grappling with Kitty in the chin. He was knocked back, but should have been otherwise relatively unharmed. The way he bellowed one would think she’d gutted him.

Ororo felt, rather than saw the second man behind her. She dropped to the ground, leg sweeping him. He fell easily. A bit too easily.

Ororo’s quick mind processed this. She took in the men’s appearance. All of the men were in suits, matching, all were wearing sunglasses, again matching, like they had been issued and yet none could fight worth a lick. Or at least made it appear that they couldn’t.

She grabbed Kitty, shoving the girl and Jimmy towards the alley opening that she instructed Rhane to meet them atshe instructed Rhane to meet them at. She could contemplate her opponents
lack of skill at a later time. “Move, move now!”

Taking advantage of her distraction the men attacked at once, joined by the three trouble making teenagers that had been whimpering against the trash until now, the increased odds giving them courage.

Ororo managed to evade most of the hits, but one fist caught her in the face, a ring grazed along her cheek, tearing skin. She grunted, but retained the frame of mind to deflect the next blow. These people were nothing compared to the stuff the Danger Room threw at her on a regular basis.

“Storm!” Jimmy hollered, his voice panic stricken. They had made it to the opening of the alley and thankfully the X-van was there.

Ororo dodged another hit, lifting her knee and connecting with a crotch. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Kitty shuffle Jimmy into the van and give him a thumbs up. Immediately the brunette sprinted back towards Storm and the fray.

With Jimmy a distance away and the risk of hurting him or Kitty removed Ororo let loose a series of lightning bolts using careful precision to bring them within inches of the men, allowing them to feel the scorching heat but not striking directly. Over and over she struck, shepherding them all backwards. The seven men were soon backed against the chain linked fence that Rhane had been cornered on.

A familiar image came to mind; that of Callisto, beaten and smoldering against a similar fence, having been effectively cooked by Storm’s lightning.

“Who are you?” Ororo demanded, shaking free the visual.

No one dared move it seemed.

“I asked a question,” she reminded them with a boom of thunder.

“We…we are the Coalition of Mutant Liberators.” One of the men spoke, his hands hovering over his face.

“The who?” Kitty asked, stepping beside Ororo, her face tight with anger.

The man repeated the title.

“Uh-huh.” Kitty looked less than impressed.

“Mutants have a right to the cure. They have a choice.” Another man, blond and built like an athlete, spoke. He had been the one that had landed the hearty punch to Ororo’s cheek. “You’ve taken away their only hope.”

Kitty grumbled. “More anti-mutant wackos who got bored at the Trekky convention and formed a clubhouse. Swell.”

The blond removed his sunglasses revealing two deep holes where his eyes should have been. “Not anti-mutant, mutant.”

This caught the two women off guard.

One of the teens groaned. “Man, we were helping fucking muties.”

Ororo shot him a glare. He sniveled. She glanced at Kitty. “Send these three on their way,” she suggested.

“With pleasure.” Kitty moved in front of them. One by one she pressed them through the fence. On the opposite side they blinked, startled, clutching their chests. “Scat.” She made an oogidy-boogidy face and the teens ran.

“I understand your frustration--” Ororo began after the trio disappeared around the corner, speaking once more to the blond, trying not to sound patronizing, though it was difficult given the circumstances.

“You don’t,” Eye-less man said. “You can’t possibly. You are flawless. Even your mutation is beautiful. You’re biased based on your own experience. ”

Eye-less, not blind.

“Think what you like,” Ororo stated dismissing the propaganda and focusing on the real issue, “but know this, if you ever, ever, come after my boy again I will come after you.” She dropped the temperature surrounding them to near freezing, frost covering the chain links. Her voice matched the chill when she added, “Personally.”

“We didn‘t want to, but we have no choice. Worthington Labs has a stockpile of the cure, we know they do, yet they aren’t releasing it.”

“No,” Kitty shook her head. “The cure was destroyed after the fiasco on Alcatraz.”

“That’s what they’d like you to think,” The shortest of the four suits spoke up.

“Did I say trekky? I meant X-Files convention,” Kitty rolled her eyes.

Ororo on the other hand was not so eager to dismiss the claim. “How do you know this?”

The shortest one stood straighter, sensing that the white haired lightning rod was no longer going to fry them. “I worked there. Doctor Rao was my direct superior. I was one of the lucky that took the cure. Before that I was a hideous monster with scales and a tail. More reptile than man.” He still sounded bitter.

Ororo nodded, indicating that she wanted him to continue.

“They have far more of the cure than they let on. They were trying to duplicate the DNA, but couldn’t. They were getting close. You can’t imagine that they would just let that go because a team of vigilante mutants rescue a few people and make nice with the press.”

“Try the entire planet,” Kitty fairly growled. “Beside President Cockrum outlawed the distribution and selling of the cure.”

“Right, and laws never get broken,” another spoke with disdain. “Go on eBay, girlie, and tell me that no one is selling the cure.”

Kitty took offense to the ‘girlie’ comment. “The crap on there is bogus. The cure is gone. Besides, your Lone Gunmen theory doesn’t add up. Worthington Labs is privately owned, not government funded.”

“You think that matters?” Short-one asked incredulously. “You think for one minute that the government doesn’t have its hand in all things mutant?”

Kitty made a motion with her finger beside her temple whistling.

Eye-less spoke up. “The source of the cure is sitting in your van not twenty feet away. The cure is still very much alive and well. We’re not the only ones that know this.”

Ororo glanced back at the van. Jimmy was pressed to the window, his hands flat as he watched, his face worried. She waved reassuringly. Rhane was beside him, her breath steaming the glass.

Turning back to the men she was detaining she asked, “You’re saying that Worthington Labs is secretly stockpiling the cure. For what purpose?”

“The government claims the US has no nuclear weapons anymore either, but we know that we do, and chemical ones as well. My best guess would be that they are holding the cure for contingency.”

“Why wouldn’t they?” The short one asked. “Like it or not it makes sense to have a supply of the cure, especially after Magneto’s terrorist attacks and that chick that vaporized a few hundred ground troops with her mind.”

Ororo frowned, not liking the logic of the argument.

When Ororo‘s eyes narrowed he quickly added, “Look, we don’t think the cure should be a weapon, or even forced on mutants, all we want is the option to take it. The chance to be normal.”

The most silent of the four finally spoke, his voice pulsing like waves of heat as he did. “What right do you have, or does anyone have, to keep that from us?”

Ororo had no readily available answer to give.

~X~



Hank McCoy lifted his chin as his executive assistant, and new lover, Alicia Vargas adjusted his tie. When she was done she ran her fingertips through the thick blue fur of his hair and smiled. “Perfect.”

He turned towards the antique oval mirror adorning the wall on his right and admired her handy work. “You never cease to amaze,” he commented. His voice, a deep baritone, carried on it a flavoring of sophistication, culture and a wealth of intelligence.

Just looking into Hank’s eyes and a person knew instantly that the man was a genius, the wheels practically visible as they churned nonstop in his head.

“Any idea as to what this impromptu meeting is about?” Alicia asked checking the rounds of her SIG.

“None at all.” Henry answered, his discomfort over that fact evident.

Satisfied with her inspection Alicia holstered her weapon. “Well, then, shall we?”

“After you, my dear.” He gave her a courtly bow.




The situation room in the White House was abuzz with murmurs. It seemed that he was not the only one unclear as to the purpose of the security session.

“Sir,” Henry greeted the President.

“Hank.” Cockrum stood so the two could shake hands.

“Forgive my impertinence, sir, but what is this all about?”

“I believe we are about to find out.” Cockrum said, gesturing towards the door where Boliver Trask had just entered.

Bolivar Trask was a large imposing figure, nearly as wide as he was tall. His face, hardened through experience and a majority of his life spent on the street, housed a set of intelligent eyes. His bald head gleamed under the lights as he made his way across the dark gray carpet.

“Mr. President. McCoy.” He nodded to them before greeting the other men seated in the room, each by the proper rank of their position. Mr. Secretary, Chief, General and so forth; everyone but Henry, who was the impartial ‘McCoy’.

Bolivar was nothing if not meticulous in knowing who the people around him were and what were capable of. His not using Henry’s Ambassador title was no mere slip of the mind, it was an intentional slight.

After a round of greetings Boliver took a seat, surprising Hank by taking the chair directly across from the President as opposed to the right hand chair left vacant for him. That did not bode well.

“I’m interested in knowing why you called this meeting, Trask,” Cockrum stated when the room had quieted.

“Sir.” Bolivar nodded once. Not a man given to fancy speeches he cut right to the point. “In light of recent events I feel it is my duty as Secretary of Defense and with the support of the Chief Security Council to sanction the activities that the people at Xavier’s School are permitted.”

Hank sat up straighter in his seat. Cockrum lifted his fingers from the glossy table top, a silent command for Hank to hold his tongue for the moment.

Trask opened his briefcase to remove official looking documents. “We can not condone the actions of this group of vigilantes. They are not above the laws that govern this country and it is time that they faced the consequences they’ve incurred by acting as though they are.”

Hank could not suppress his comments any longer. “Need I remind you, Trask, that these vigilantes saved you and everyone in this room from utter destruction on a scale that you can’t even begin to fathom.”

“Oh, I can fathom it,” Trask replied, his voice soft, a disturbing counter to his overbearing presence. “In fact, it is because I can fathom the level of destruction that nearly occurred three months ago that I propose these sanctions. Charles Xavier knew of Jean Grey’s instability and dual personality. As much was documented in your very own report, Henry. He knew of her destructive capabilities and warned no one of the threat she presented, and in hiding her from us we were ill prepared for her meltdown. Hundreds of men died because of this. Harboring Jean Grey was no different than hiding weapons of mass destruction.”

Hank was appalled, even more so when several members of the delegation began slowly nodding as Trask spoke. Striving for diplomacy, what he was best at, Hank asked, “Have we learned nothing from Magneto and his retaliation? Nothing from the tragic loss of so many lives? Charles Xavier is dead; he has paid the price for his sins with his life. Do you truly wish to seek another pound of flesh from his students?”

Trask sat back in his seat, his eyes shrouded. “I am not seeking a pound of flesh. I am seeking justice.”

“And I say justice has been served at the expense of great men and women, mutant and non-mutant alike. Jean Grey is dead, Charles Xavier is dead, Magneto is lost and powerless, as is Mystique. No greater justice could be dealt to them.”

“I disagree.” Trask said. “They should be serving time in prison for their crimes, not wandering around free. Your implication that being stripped of their powers and being categorized as normal is sufficient punishment for the lives lost and damage done is not only grossly inadequate, but damn insulting. It’s that level of thinking that Magneto himself carried. Mutants: superior, Human: inferior.”

Hank spoke very carefully, his words enunciated with razor precision. “Do not presume to categorize me in the same manner as Magneto.”

The exchange was becoming heated.

President Cockrum leaned forward speaking to Trask. “You know as well as I that there is an ongoing effort to locate Magneto. He will not remain free for long.”

Trask steepled his fingers over his chest. “And Mystique?”

“Ms. Darkholme was granted amnesty for her testimony when Magneto is brought to trial, again something you are well aware of, Trask.”

Trask let his eyes rest on each member of the panel as he spoke. “Until the trial she is presumably in jail? Or at the very least under direct surveillance?”

Hank shifted in his seat, seeing where Trask was headed. The man would have made an excellent chess opponent, maneuvering the pieces around the board with calculating skill.

“No,” Cockrum answered, a bit reluctantly. “She is not.”

“Ah. So she is free, then.” He pulled out a newspaper, spreading it on the table. “A fifteen year old boy in Detroit, named Terrance Walker. Shot and killed a classmate that was bullying him. He was arraigned and tried as an adult. He is now serving twenty-five to life in a maximum security prison.” Dark eyes took weight of the room. “Tell me, Mr. President, how this is justified? Look me in the face and tell me that if young Mr. Walker was a mutant who retaliated with an eyebeam that killed that bully we would see the exact same punishment for the crime.”

Cockrum couldn’t in light of the things already brought forth. “Our judicial system is not perfect. There are flaws. We must work together to achieve the goal of equality for mutant and human alike. You know I don’t play favorites, Trask, and I resent the implication that I do.”

“My apologies, sir, but I feel it is my duty to point out these flaws when I see them. Our nations’ security is at stake and I do not take that lightly.”

Sighing, the President asked, “What type of sanctions did you plan to propose?”

Hank turned, startled. “Sir!”

The President faced him. “To be a fair I must hear what Secretary Trask has to say.”

Trask removed another paper from his briefcase. “I propose that the jet located at Xavier’s be grounded. The school must report its student roster and the powers each mutant student has.”

Hank balked. “The Registration Act was shot down for a reason. This is nothing more than an effort to circumvent that. Xavier’s is private school and as such it is beyond the federal regulations of public schools. A roster would be a blatant breech in confidentiality. ”

President Cockrum acknowledged Henry’s concern with a nod but allowed Trask to continue.

“If Xavier’s is to be considered a private school then it can not remain a tactical training facility.” Trask countered. “Without a public roster and curriculum as well as staff records then the school is no more than a center of mercenary activity.” He once more scanned the room, weighing out who was in his corner, who wasn’t and who was on the fence. “The X-Men are not above the law.”

Hank shook his head, removing his black reading glasses from his nose. “Nor have they tried to be. The X-Men abide by the laws as best they can given the circumstances.”

“As best they can,” Boliver repeated, noting several faces wearing frowns at that. “If the X-Men are not above the law, then I won’t hear you complain when I file a motion tomorrow morning.”

Hank tensed. “What kind of motion.”

“I intend to bring forth charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder, hindrance of several investigations, destruction of public and private property…” He held up a thick stack of papers. “The list goes on.” He flipped through a few pages. “Twenty eight men died on that school’s campus, all killed while following an Executive command. I plan to see the people responsible for those deaths answer for them.”

Henry fought the urge to bare his teeth. “Those men were killed in self defense.”

“Self defense? Those soldiers were doing their job. They had clearance from the White House. Their deaths were uncalled for.”

Cockrum spoke. “That order was not given by this administration. I read the writ for that exercise and it was for reconnaissance only. William Stryker broke the law and those right along with him when they entered that school in hopes to kidnap and capture. The X-Men have already been granted pardon for that night and the incidents that resulted from it.”

“And what of the lives taken on Alcatraz? Or future lives? Will the X-Men forever be pardoned when we have children being sent to prison for crimes a fraction of the severity as those committed by these mutants?”

Henry, seeing a neat trap laid out by Trask, spoke hurriedly. “Mr. President, in light of Secretary Trask’s concerns regarding the School and the people in it, might I suggest a compromise of sorts.”

Cockrum inclined his head, a small smile playing with his mouth. Trust Henry to be one step ahead. “What do you suggest, Hank?”

“I will move my office into the school. As the World UN Ambassador I am entitled to certain diplomatic privileges, and as the Mutant Ambassador position is new with no prior set accommodations or restrictions I will employ the X-Men as operatives and enforcers under my office. I will be directly accountable for their actions.”

Several murmurs and nods of approval began around the table. Henry was well liked and admired by most everyone in the room, and all knew of his strong character, and honest dedication to the country’s best interest. If he was taking responsibility for the X-Men, placing himself in the line of fire so to speak, it was because he believed in their cause.

“You can’t do that,” Trask said, irritation showing.

“Article 17, paragraph 4, section (a) of the United Nations codes of Resources says that I can. If any member of the UN with no direct national service requires security, police, or civil servants they may hire as they see fit. I am a World Ambassador, Mr. Trask, not a US representative. I can assign whomever I choose to be the enforcers of mutant rights and regulations.”

Cockrum sat back slowly, his gaze intent on Henry. “You do understand what this means.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Very well.” He turned to Trask. “Your concern is duly noted and appreciated Secretary Trask. You do your country great service. For now, however, I must err on the side of hope and unity. There has been enough dissention between mutant and humans to last a lifetime. I would rather work towards a more promising future and I believe that Charles Xavier’s X-Men may very well be the beacon to light that way.”

Trask looked momentarily thunderstruck. “I see.” He cleared his throat, filing his papers away. “If that is the way things will remain, then I am sorry, Mr. President, but I can not continue to work for this administration. I hereby tender my resignation, effective immediately.”

“Bolivar”“

“If you’ll excuse me, sir, I must go clean my office. Good day, gentlemen.” He stood, nodded to the panel and walked stiffly from the room.

Henry felt a dark shadow of foreboding settle over him like someone had just trod upon his grave. As the meeting adjourned he excused himself from the President. He had a phone call to make.

~X~



Ororo ran her hands over the front of her thighs, smoothing the creases in her dark pantsuit. She and her motley crew had returned to the school less than a half an hour ago, and once she saw too it that Rahne had a room and that Logan hadn’t eviscerated anyone, she immediately went to shower and change leaving Rahne in Kitty‘s capable and effervescently cheerful hands.

Ororo hated feeling rushed, but there was no help for it. She had two interviews to conduct and she was already behind schedule. She glossed her lips and did a quick side check in her full length mirror. Good enough.

She was halfway down the hall to her office when she heard her name. She turned to see Logan stalking towards her, the presence of his well worn leather jacket telling her he was on his way out for a ride.

She made a face, knowing she was about to hear it for leaving him in charge of the kids. She held up her hand to silence him before he spoke. “Before you start, I didn’t have a choice. There was no one else and Logan…what are you doing?” She asked blinking when his hand cupped her chin and he tilted her face.

She knew he was examining the gash on her cheek. A low, nearly inaudible growl emanated from him. “What happened?”

She shrugged, checking the thin gold watch on her wrist. “A little scuffle. Nothing really. I have interviews--”

“Kitty tells it a little different.”

Gossip monger, Ororo thought with a twist of her mouth. “Oh, and how does our young Kitten tell it?”

Something in the way she said our Kitten made Logan’s stomach tighten and warm. “She says a group of ’paranoid nut-jobs’ followed then jumped you.”

“They were after Jimmy,” she confirmed. “But they were handled easily enough.”

His scowl deepened. “You just let them go, didn’t ya?”

Another glance at her watch. “And what would you have had me do, Logan? Beat them senseless?”

“For starters.” He was serious.

She rolled her eyes. “Violence isn’t the answer to every problem.”

He shrugged. “Haven’t run into a problem yet I couldn’t punch my way out of.”

She gave him her patented ‘Oh, brother’ look. “I really have to get to my interviews, Logan. I don’t have time to stand here and listen to you cite to me the wonders of violence.”

He quirked an eyebrow. “Is that what I was doin’?”

“Isn’t it?”

“No.” He advanced a step. “I was checkin’ on my friend.” He cupped her jaw in a manner that made her ache in ways she refused to acknowledge.

“Oh.” Ororo said, her mouth forming a little moue around the syllable. “Well…thank you.” Their eyes met and held, a look so full of intensity that for a moment neither knew what to say.

Logan cocked his head to the side appraisingly, his eyelids half mast as he studied her lips. For a moment he contemplated kissing her again right then and there, but he blinked, clearing that thought from his mind. That’s one place you don’t need to go, Bub. He took a step back. “If you’re gonna insist on being a pacifist, then you really need to learn how to fight.”

Ororo gave him a funny look. “What?” That made no sense. “I already know how to fight.”

“No.” He shook his head. “You know how to kick ass with your powers. You don’t know jack about fightin’.”

“Logan, I can fight just fine.” She argued.

“That’s why Calisto handed you your ass? And you’re sporting a cut?”

She gave him an indignant look. “In case you missed it, Cowboy, I’m still standing and Calisto is dust.” Why the hell did she sound proud of that? She frowned, wondering how Logan manged to pick her ire so easily.

He leaned back, his grin cocky. “Yeah, ‘cause you fried her.”

Ororo bit back a retort. She was not going to argue this with him. “I have to go. Some of us actually work in this school.”

“I work.”

Her snort was very unladylike.

His face became serious. “As soon as your done your interviews meet me in the Danger Room.”

“What? No.”

“Yes. You think you can fight. Fine, then you can prove it.”

“You’ve seen me in the Danger room a hunded times.”

“Running simulations.” he said disdainfully.

“Your point?”

“This time it’ll be just me and you and a mat.”

“Let me get this straight; you want to fight me?”

His look was damn smug. “Don’t imagine it’ll be much of a fight.”

Don’t let him bait you, her brain warned.

“That is of course unless you’re scared.”

Damn it. Damn it to hell. “You don’t scare me.”

“Ok then. See you in there.” He was already jogging backward down the hall, his smirk egging her on.

Damn him. Ororo whirled on her heel, marching for her office. Outside her door she took a calming breath. In the span of a few short minutes Logan had her heartbeat tripled and her cheeks flushed. The alarming part was that she couldn’t tell if it was a result of anger…or lust.

“Storm!”

She turned to see Bobby heading towards her at a quick pace. Marie hung back.

“Yes, Robert?”

“Hey,” he puffed abreath when he reached her. He held out a sticky note. “Mr. McCoy called fo ryou while you were out.”

Ororo took the message and unfolded it. “La Belle Rouge. 8 p.m.” she read aloud.

“Yeah, weird message, but that’s all he said.”

“Thank you.” She replied distractedly. La Belle Rouge was Henry’s very favorite restaurant, a high class, five star, taste bud multiorgasm of a restauraunt to be exact.

Henry had once told her the best way to deilver bad news was over good food. Whatever he needed to see her about it was serious.

Great, just great.
Four by windrider1



Ororo adjusted the cuff of her jacket as she strode the long corridor leading to the Danger Room. She hadn’t bothered suiting up, as she was pressed for time and had no intention of engaging Logan in his ridiculous challenge, but she couldn’t in good conscience leave him in the sublevels waiting for her; no matter how much she may want to. Her mouth curved a bit at that. That man sure could rankle her, even on her best days.

She and Logan had their fair share of conflicts and clashes over the past couple of years, but in the recent months an invisible bond had begun to form between them; forged from the shared experience on Alcatraz island, the loss of their friends, and something…else. Something she refused to put a name to.

Just outside the circular doors she glanced at the gold watch on her wrist, noting it was nearly six; the grocery delivery from Finn’s should be arriving soon and if she could get Peter and Bobby to help she should be able to unload and put away with enough time to dress for her dinner with Hank.

Her last two interviews had taken longer than anticipated, but had yielded some good results. Ororo had found a music teacher that would be a welcome addition to the school. Ms. Alison Blaire had come complete with references and stacks awards, but it was her genuine enthusiasm and sparkling eyes that had sold Ororo. With that addition the staff needs were still far from met, but Ororo felt a bit more accomplished having finally hired someone. Sean Cassidy had a job as well, if he or Moira ever returned her calls. Now all she had to do was convince Logan to take on Scott’s Mechanics class, and then maybe she could foresee a light at the end of the tunnel.

With a determined toss of her silver hair Ororo strode through the doors and… wham! She felt her arm yanked forcefully and then a momentary weightlessness just before the hard, unyielding impact of the floor to her backside knocked the wind out of her. Coughing against the unexpected and abrupt loss of oxygen to her lungs Ororo glared up from her sprawled position on the floor.

Logan, with a far too amused smirk on his face, stood a few feet away with his arms casually crossed.

Clutching her chest Ororo spluttered, “You threw me.”

Logan cocked his head, a telltale glimmer of mirth in his dark eyes. “More of a toss, really.”

“What the hell was that for?”

“Gotta be prepared for anything, anytime. Ain‘t that what I heard you lecturing the other day?”

Ororo’s eyes narrowed as she rose.

He smiled.

She was not amused. “Damn it, Logan, this isn‘t a game.”

Logan chuffed. He’d heard those exact same words a few times before. ‘Damn it, Logan, blah, blah, blah’ seemed to be her favorite thing to say to him. Not that he didn’t give her reason, he admitted internally, and not without an inkling of smug satisfaction at that.

He let his gaze idly travel the ruffled headmistress as she primly dusted her backside, glaring at him. It gave him a kick to get under the ice princess’ skin. Maybe because it was a rare thing to see her at a loss, or maybe it was more than that. Maybe it was because he seemed to be the only one to do it and that meant more to him than he cared to admit.

He inclined his head, still regarding her, but his eyes were shadowed by the fall of his hair. She looked downright pissed and ready to hit him, which was what he had hoped for given the exercise that he planned to run with her. Her barely repressed fury effected him as it always did. For some unknown, unexplainable reason, he found it damn sexy. Once again, he couldn’t pin down the ‘why’ exactly, but the way her brown eyes snapped, rimmed with a darkening blue that heralded potential danger and the firm line of her too full mouth did something to him on a primitive level.

Ever sine the first time she’d gotten in his face, ordering him to fight with them for the greater good, he had felt a stirring response to her determination. He’d never really associated that response to attraction, however; until recently. After all, his lust had been for the beautiful redhead that touched him with reverence and a bit of fear, not for the woman that held herself with aloof reserve.

But somewhere along the way, that ostensible indifference Ororo had appeared to carry had changed. Faced with losing him the way she had lost Scott and the Professor, Ororo had opened up to him. She had pleaded with him not to go after Jean, giving him a glimpse at a side of her that he had never seen before, and had felt surprisingly honored to be privy to.

He remembered well that day in his room. He had cleaned everything, picked up his discarded beer cans, magazines, and clothes. He had even polished the floor before packing a bag, nearly certain that he was never to return to the school, had, in fact, been in the middle of packing a travel duffle when Ororo had come upon him. She had known where he was going before she had asked. And without preamble she had demanded of him, why he couldn’t let Jean go--although to that question too she had also known the answer. And it had been her to voice it when he had been unable to put words to the wrenching emotions inside of himself. “You love her,” She had said, and for one split second, those words had sounded pained, but then she had continued speaking, her voice less husky, less gentle, “She made her choice. Now it’s time for us to make ours. If you’re with us, then be with us.” He had known then, as he knew now, that she wasn’t issuing a command or an ultimatum, she had been asking him to stay the only way she knew how. In doing so, she had laid out the choice plainly : Jean or the team.

He chose Jean.

He knew that she would never humble herself like that again, and even though she’d had the right, she hadn’t held his foolhardy choice against him. She allowed him to suit up with her team and she had fought by his side when the time came; had lent him her strength when he needed it, and forced him to face the harsh truth about what he would have to do for them all.

When it was over, and the smoke had cleared, and the water had receded and the island had grown eerily silent, Ororo had been the first person he had seen. She hadn’t looked at him with anything other than understanding, even as he lay her best friend at her feet. She hadn’t cried then, as he had, but had simply nodded her head and reached for his hand. She had become the X-Men’s pillar of strength that day, although he knew now, it was what she had always been.

Not entirely comfortable with the track his thoughts were on, Logan shifted his weight and dropped his arms to his side. “I’m not playin’,” he responded to her sharp words. His stance was at the ready for another attack.

Ororo gave him a wary look. “Don’t even think about it.”

“Oh, I’m thinkin’ about it.” His smile was dangerous. And sexy.

Stop it, she scolded herself. “Logan. No.” She shook her head. “I don’t have time for this.”

“Then why did you even show up?”

“I came here because I need you.”

His expression shifted, one eyebrow shooting up in quizzical male humor.

She rolled her eyes, fighting back an answering quirk of her lips. “Mechanics still has no teacher and I need you to take the class.”

“You want me to teach?” His gaze was downright disbelieving at this point.

“Yes,” she bit out reluctantly. This made his smirk widen into a self-satisfied grin.

“Say please.”

Her jaw jutted out a bit. “Will you take the class?”

He crossed his arms once more, leaning back against the wall. “Say please,” he repeated.

Like hell, Ororo thought. She gave him a haughty look ash she started for the exit. “Forget it,” she said dismissively.

Logan sighed. He reached for her wrist as she passed. “Wait,” he said.

She paused, her eyes regarding him speculatively.

“Make ya a deal,” he offered.

She raised a brow, waiting.

“You knock me on my ass and I’ll take the class.”

Ororo wondered if she’d heard him correctly. “You want me to what?”

He repeated himself. “Take me down and I’ll take the class.”

He was serious, she realized. “Fine.” If knocking Wolverine around got her a Mechanics teacher, then knock him around she would. Besides, she’d been itching to go Zeus on him for awhile. Her eyes began to swirl.

“Without powers,” he added.

Ororo felt a flicker of irritation. She really didn’t have time for this. She had a school to run, a team to lead, teachers to hire, phone calls and parent conferences, not to mention all the day to day household things she managed. She, unlike her team mate, didn’t have the luxury of following whatever whim struck her at whatever time it did. She told him as much.

Instead of being put off, Logan gave her a tolerant smile that made her want to smack him upside the head. “All the more reason to get a little stress out. Maybe get you to loosen up a bit.”

Storm’s nostrils flared slightly; not a good sign. She took his last comment as a direct insult, though he had not intended it as such. A flash of light overhead, here and gone within a single heartbeat, caught his attention, followed by the snap of familiar thunder.

Not surprisingly, however, Ororo kept tight reign on her emotions--a trait she was notorious for. The moment the echo of thunder passed she gave him a reproachful look. “I think you’re loose enough for the both of us.”

Logan wasn’t quite sure how to take that comment so he ignored it. “Deal?” he questioned.

Ororo was about to flat out refuse him when she realized that she truly did need him to take the class. Her options were limited at the moment. “Fine,” she said, “But not tonight.”

“Why not?” he smirked. “Hot date?”

His mocking tone irked her, garnering a sharp retort. “As a matter of fact, yes.”

Completely unprepared for that response Logan was momentarily speechless.

Satisfied that she’d for once managed to silence the Wolverine, Ororo removed her wrist from his grip and sauntered out the door. They hissed open a scant moment later with Logan hot on her heels.

“You have a date?” he asked coming along beside her. His tone was almost accusatory.

Ororo cast him a sidelong glance, avoiding an outright lie. “Is that so hard to believe?”

Not really, no, he thought. “Who?” he demanded instead.

She paused, turning towards him, her arms weaving a defensive X across her chest. “I fail to see how that’s any of your business.”

“It’s that government tool, isn’t it? You‘re going on a date with Captain friggin‘ Nintendo.” He looked disgusted.

Ororo blinked, uncomprehending for a moment. “You mean Forge?”

“Whatever.”

“What do you care?”

“I don’t.” he snapped.

“Well, alright then.”

“Fine!” He turned and marched away from her.

“Fine!” She called after him. Ororo threw up her hands and walked away, having no real clue as to what in the hell they had just argued about.



Back in the Danger Room Logan punched the wall in an effort to vent the sudden build up of anger he had. It was an unexpected and violent reaction that he hadn’t seen coming, to something he could not name. Not good. Not good at all. He drew in a ragged breath, straightening to his full height and cricking his neck. “Danger Room, activate. Run program 19-42-35: Wolverine.”

The walls shimmered to life, an eerie neon blue glow casting shadows as the floor and walls shifted around him and photon imagers created a fully interactive 3-D environment, that was not only visible but tangible as well.

With a roar he unsheathed his claws and leapt into the fray as mortar shells exploded all around him.



At the end of the corridor Ororo chanced a glance over her shoulder. She heard no sound because the room was soundproofed, but the vibration beneath her feet told her that Logan had activated the room. She shook her head a bit sadly. Too often Logan lost himself in that room, without teammates, without backup; facing enemies as he faced life: alone.

Although the room could be activated by any member of senior staff (which at the moment consisted only of her and Logan), the safeties could only be overridden by her. That little fact was a small comfort for her, because Ororo knew that Wolverine pushed the room to its very limits, and with it, himself.

She wished wholeheartedly that she could fend off whatever demons haunted him and give him the pieces of himself he so longed to get back. He was so full of rage, and anger that it worried her. Not for her safety, but for him. No one should live like that. He very rarely spoke of his past anymore, at least not since Stryker and Alkali, and he never spoke of Alcatraz at all. She could only imagine how much those things were eating him alive inside.

Much as she wanted to rescue him, she couldn’t. Logan was a grown man and she, well, she had other responsibilities. Pressing the button for the main lobby Ororo stepped onto the elevator leaving the lower levels and Wolverine behind.


An hour later…

Ororo, fresh from her shower and mindful of her room’s open French doors that led to her balcony, kept her robe tied around her until she reached her closet. She rifled through several layers before reaching the dress she was hunting for. She too the sleek garment off the hanger and held it up against her torso. She had bought it on a whim, and had never gotten a chance to wear it.

The fabric, a fine, fine silk was light as air and when she put it on it clung to her in all the right places, making her feel deliciously feminine. Definitely a bit racy, and definitely for tonight, she thought. La Belle Rouge was not a place to go looking frumpy or like a school teacher.

Satisfied with her choice of dress Ororo then tried on a few different shoes, settling on a pair of open toed sandals with dainty ribbons at the heel. She spared her bedroom wall clock a look and cringed. She had to get moving if she was going to make dinner on time.




Logan rubbed his towel along the back of his neck, ruffling wet strands, sending them shooting out in wild disarray. He paused beside his bed, moving the towel forward to rub his chest, drying the thick mat of hair there.

He rolled his shoulders, the left one still aching from the hit he’d taken in the Danger Room. He’d been a little too close to one of the mortar explosions and a shard of red hot metal had gone straight through at the cuff, missing his adamantium bone. He rubbed the sore muscle, mostly healed already, and his lips twisted into the semblance of a smile. Ororo would have a cow if she knew he’d found a way to override her safety protocols. She was such a nag about that shit sometimes.

A faded pair of blue jeans lay crumpled on the floor. He pulled them on before grabbing a plain white t-shirt from the bureau. He didn’t bother with shoes, he had no plans to go anywhere tonight. Unlike Storm. He frowned as he yanked open his bedroom door. She had another thing coming if she thought he would play babysitter while she was out whooping it up with pony-tail boy.

The downstairs was a bustle of activity as it usually was that time of evening. Logan caught sight of Marie and Bobby heading his way, their fingers interlocked, sans glove on Marie’s part.

Kitty was engaged in a lively discussion with Doug Ramsey on the couch against the far wall, with Jubilee and Weezie nearby, obviously trying ineffectually to follow the rapid fire debate between the two resident geeks.

Peter was on the phone, presumably with his sister in Russia and a few other students, that he couldn’t name off the top of his head, passed, keeping a healthy distance from him. He was known more from his reputation than actual interaction by most of the students and that suited him just fine.

“Logan!” Marie greeted him with her customary enthusiasm.

“Kid.” He inclined his head, but there was a tenderness in his hard gaze that was hers and hers alone. “Popsicle.”

Bobby grimaced, severely disliking the nickname that Logan had dubbed him with. He supposed it was better than Tin-Man, Wolverine’s alter ego for Peter. “Hey.”

“Wanna join us for a pizza?” Marie offered.

Logan shook his head in the negative. “You seen ‘Ro around?”

“Not since earlier,” Bobby commented with a lift of his shoulders. “She’s probably getting ready for her dinner.”

What, did everyone know that Ororo was going on a date? Logan wondered.

“Speak of the devil.” Marie murmured, motioning her head towards the staircase.

Turning, Logan felt his insides clench. Ororo was simply stunning. There really was no other word for it. Her appearance hit him with the same subtle impact of a trailer truck upside the head. He had always known she was beautiful, he had a brain and eyes, it wasn’t a big mystery, but she had never looked so…womanly before.

She was speaking to Jimmy at the foot of the stairs, not yet noticing the effect she had on him, as well as a few others, Logan noted with a sub vocal growl. He swept the room with a predatory gaze and several male eyes quickly darted away.

Ororo gave Jimmy a quick kiss on his cheek before making her way into the den where Logan and the others resided. She was speaking as she approached. “I left the number of the restaurant and the car phone on the fridge. You have my cell number, right?”

She was talking to him Logan realized dimly, his attention riveted on the smooth skin of her legs that was exposed with every step she took.

“Logan?” She was directly in front of him, amusement twinkling in her eyes. She knew he was staring and the feminine vixen in her liked it.

Logan snapped his head up, which was no real help because then he had a delightful view of her shadowed cleavage. “Huh?”

“I left the numbers in case you need to reach me,” she calmly repeated.

“I don’t recall agreeing to baby-sit.”

“I don’t recalling asking you to,” she countered with one of her dazzling smiles. “Just keep the mansion from burning to the ground, ok?” She pat him on the shoulder, walking past.

Logan inhaled reflexively. She smelled of rain and spring, and a subtle perfume that was definitely expensive.

“Don’t wait up,” she called over her bare shoulder. She was out the front doors a moment later.

“She has to meet him? What kind of jerk doesn’t pick a woman up?” Logan grumbled aloud.

Bobby gave him an odd look. “I’m sure he would have, but Mr. McCoy is pretty busy you know.”

“McCoy?”

“Yeah. That is who she’s having dinner with.” Bobby answered a bit defensively.

Logan couldn’t help the grin that spread across his face, his expression confused the two younger mutants. No way was Ororo on a real date with McCoy. The fur-ball was all hot and heavy into his body guard, Logan knew. His mood, dark and tense only moments ago, lightened considerably. “Who’s up for that pizza?” he wanted to know.


~X~


Ororo was greeted at the restaurant by an eager valet. She handed him the keys to her Mazda and couldn’t help the small flare of female satisfaction she had when he walked into the door, too busy watching her to watch where he was going.

Inside the two story building low lit chandeliers illuminated expensive carpeting, tables and drapes. The entire place oozed of class and sophistication. She knew immediately why Henry liked it. A glimpse of deep indigo and a tailored suit told her where her dear friend was seated. She didn’t wait for the host to lead her to him, she simply hiked up her skirt a bit and stepped over the red velvet rope separating the waiting area from the dining area.

“Ororo.” Henry stood as she approached, his fangs gleaming stark white against his blue face. He bowed gallantly, moving around the table to embrace her. “You look breathtaking,” he commented sincerely.

She blushed. “Thank you.” She ran the flat of her hand along his lapels. “You look rather dashing yourself.”

He chuckled, a deep rumble that elicited an answering smile from her. There were very few things in life that Ororo was helpless to resist. Henry’s laugh was one of them.

With a grace that defied his size Henry maneuvered behind her and pulled out her chair. Once she was seated comfortably and Henry across from her Ororo asked, “How bad is it?”

He should have known she would be forthright. “It’s not good,” he confirmed.

Ororo nodded. “Tell me.”

With patient detail Hank explained what had transpired in the White House Situation Room. When he was finished he sat back and waited for her response. He didn’t have to wait long.

Ororo reached across the table, her smooth hand closing around his large furry one. “Thank you, Henry,” she said softly, emphatically. Ororo was moved beyond measure at what Henry had done for them. He had put his career on the line for them--again.

Hank had expected anger, and though he saw some shimmering in the chocolate depths of her eyes, her tone and expression were those of relief and gratitude. He squeezed her fingers affectionately.

“When will you be moving back in?” Ororo asked, leaning back as a waiter with red on black eyes came upon them, filling Henry’s wine glass and then hers. She smiled at the handsome young server, and he grinned back with a wink.

Henry waited until they were once again alone before answering. “Within the next week or so. I don’t dare wait too long.”

Ororo sipped the robust liquid in her glass. As expected it was a delicious bouquet; Henry was a man of many talents, she thought as she rested the glass back on the table, wine selection among them. “With Trask resigned, shouldn’t that alleviate some of the obstacles you were faced with?”

“In terms of certain White House politics, yes,” Hank agreed. “However, I fear that Trask’s position, though powerful, was the only thing that kept him in check.”

“You think he’s more dangerous now?”

Henry sighed. “Dangerous is a matter of perspective. There are those that feel Trask is protecting them, others feel he is a threat.”

“Is he?” Ororo asked softly.

“Is he which?”

“Either. Both.”

Henry smiled indulgently. “Again, that would depend on your point of view, but, in all honesty, I am concerned about the influence he has. Bolivar believes his cause is just and that he is serving the American people. He‘ll do what he believes he must--at all costs.”

Ororo cringed slightly. “Just like Magneto.” There was no greater foe than those that believed so vehemently in their cause that they were blinded to anything else.

“Let’s hope not,” Henry added.

They sat in deep silence for a moment.

Startling her, Henry rose to his feet. “Dance?”

Ororo blinked. “Don’t you think we should continue this conversation? Go over some options in case Trask does try something--”

He gripped her shoulders gently, but firmly, lifting her to her feet. “There is always time for that later,” Henry replied. “But no more tonight. You look far too lovely to be discussing such a depressing topic. It would be a shame not to see you dance. Besides, it‘s not every day that I get to make so many men jealous all at once.” His gaze flickered over the room where several heads were turned in their direction. “Consider it a favor.”

Ororo laughed lightly. “I suppose, since you put it that way. Although, it is more of a pleasure.”

Henry was smiling as he led her onto the floor. The orchestra, a large full scale ensemble, immediately switched tempo. Violin strings were caressed and a steady beat of percussion picked up. Ororo recognized a favorite song of Henry’s.

The lively tempo caused both her and her partner to grin widely. Effortlessly the duo moved into one another’s arms and Ororo followed Henry as he lead her in a circle around the marble floor, her black heels barely touching the ground as they seemed to fly around the room.

Ororo recalled Kitty’s comment of Beauty and the Beast and she laughed aloud. This certainly seemed reminiscent of the Disney film, although she and Hank were far more provocative she thought as one thick arm draped her backwards in a sensual dip.

Henry carried himself with a natural confidence that Ororo was certain transferred into the bedroom. If she was right, then Alicia Vargas was one very lucky woman. She whispered as much into his ear, making him laugh without restraint, the baritone sound a delight to her ears.

When the dance was finished Henry led her from the floor by her hand, ever the gentleman. “I believe this evening calls for some sherry, don’t you?”

“I hardly think the occasion calls for celebration,” Ororo responded.

“And why not? Despite the egregious circumstances behind the move, I’ll soon be in the Mansion once more on a more permanent basis. We could call it a homecoming celebration.”

Ororo lifted her eyebrow. “Mmmhm.”

He could tell she was wavering. “When was the last time you let your hair down and relaxed, Ororo?”

She couldn’t recall.

Henry raised his hand for the waiter. “I’ll have my driver bring you home.”

Ororo decided to hell with it. She could be responsible in the morning. Tonight Storm took a backseat and Ororo was free to be herself. “Sherry it is.”

~X~


The mansion was quiet when she returned home; and dark. She bit her lip as her toe stubbed quite hard in the entry. She hopped on one bare foot, a curse escaping on a harsh whisper, her shoes dangling from her fingers. She gave the offending threshold an angry glare, jiggling her keys from the handle.

Slowly she eased the large front door closed, making a tight face until she heard the latch catch. She punched her six digit security code into the alarm system, re-arming the house. She was tiptoeing towards the stairs when a gruff voice made her gasp.

“’Bout time you got home.”

“Logan.” Ororo turned, a bit too quickly in her inebriated state, towards the man in the den doorway.

He stepped forward quickly, grasping her arm to help her balance. “You’re drunk,” he announced, surprised.

“I prefer the term intoxicated,” she corrected with a lopsided smile that did strange things to his insides.

“How was your date?” he asked.

Ororo’s smile was bright. “I danced.”

Logan swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. “Did ya now?”

“Mmm.” She closed her eyes and swayed towards him, one arm looping around his neck. “How come you never ask me to dance?” she murmured.

Would a horizontal dance count? He wondered. Because damn if that wasn’t what he wanted to do. He stepped back, putting some distance between them.

Ororo blinked slowly. “Did you wait up for me?” she questioned with a confused frown.

Logan shook his head. “I’m a night owl. You know that.”

“Oh.”

Did she sound disappointed? He squelched that question. Not flamin’ likely. She would most probably be royally pissed that he was seeing her in such a state.

“Tired,” she said quietly.

Logan was about to tell her to go to bed, when she started to wander away from him, her voice, soft, carrying to him.

“So tired,” she continued on her aimless journey. One hand waving idly at her side. “Too much, not enough, but never right.”

“’Ro…?” He followed her.

She dropped her shoes on the floor, forgotten. Barefoot she padded the long hallway, past the stairs, past the classrooms. She was headed to the garden, Logan realized. He was briefly unsure as to whether or not he should follow her out, but the not too subtle stagger of her stride told him he ought to.

She flung aside the sliding glass door carelessly. The grass was cool and welcome against the balls of her feet. Ororo tilted her head back, allowing the night breeze to caress her exposed flesh and giving Logan an enticing view of the curve of her throat.

He looked away and swallowed again. It wasn’t right, his reaction to her. He had better learn to fight it off before she caught on and fried his ass. What he really should do was go get laid. That should take the edge off and then he could go back to seeing her as just a teammate.

Not a woman. Not a sexy, lithe, well formed…Jesus.

He stopped trekking behind her, letting her shape disappear into the shadows of the garden. He’d wait for her there. It was safer--for both of them--if he stayed behind.

Ororo, oblivious to the man trailing her, or his thoughts, followed the well cut path through the bushes and flowers to the three monuments set away on the back lawn. She passed Xavier’s large monument with a loving touch of her hand, cast Scott’s a tender look, but it was the redhead’s grave that had Ororo’s full attention.

“Never right,” she repeated her montage quietly. She didn’t bother to keep the anger from her voice. “I spent my entire adolescence watching Charles and Scott trying so hard to please you. Trying to help you see how wonderful you were. How special. Doing their best to make sure you never forgot that,” she hissed at the silent tombstone. “Nothing they did was ever enough for you though, was it?”

She waved her hands dramatically, as if to encompass the entire estate. “You had it all. Beauty, intelligence, friends, a family. Two! Two families! And it still wasn’t enough. Charles loved you like a daughter, and Scott, Scott loved you more than anything! They would have given you the world had you asked for it, and how do you repay them? You killed them, you ungrateful bitch!”

She had never sworn at Jean in her life, and Ororo paused, almost shocked at the words coming out of her mouth. But now that the floodgates were open she couldn’t seem to stop. “And then there’s Logan. Do you have any idea what you’ve put him through? The hell he goes through knowing that he killed you. But that wouldn’t matter to you, would it? So long as you got what you wanted. It was always about you. Always. And you never cared!”

Thunder rumbled overhead, low and deep, a building to something greater.

“Whoa.” Logan’s head lifted up. Ozone was alive in the air and the hairs on his body began to rise. He moved forward hurriedly through the garden maze until Ororo came back into view.

What he saw pulled him up short. Ororo was standing in front of the graves, lightning snapping from her hair and eyes. She looked beautiful and terrifying all at once.

Logan moved toward her. “That’s enough, Storm,” he barked worried that she may inadvertently hurt herself.

Ororo snapped her head around, her eyes glowing bright in the darkness. “Still her protector, even in death,” she whispered, more to herself than him.

She‘d misunderstood his reaction. “Storm--”

“Was she worth it?” Her voice cracked, but her composure held.

Logan tensed, but faced her head on.

“Answer me, Wolverine. Was she worth it? Worth the lives? The destruction? The pain? Was she worth it?”

Logan’s eyes captured and held hers, his unguarded sincerity a fleeting thing that she would remember for the rest of her life. “Every bit of it.”

Her shoulders slumped and her anger vanished. Sad brown eyes blinked away a sheen of tears. “I thought so too,” she whispered. She tried to brush past him, but he was having none of that.

Logan caught Ororo by her shoulders, turning her to face him. “No. You need to do this.”

She shook her head. “She’s dead, Logan. She can’t hear me.”

“Prove it.”

Ororo almost smiled at that. Given the history of the X-Men it was not entirely improbable that somewhere Jean could hear her.

“Wolverine--”

He turned her back towards the tombstones. “Don’t do it for her,” he said next to her ear, his warm breath stirring the faint hair there. “Do it for you.” He nudged her forward.

Ororo hesitated, her eyes shifting between Logan and the grave.

He took his cue. “I’ll be inside.” He was halfway back to the mansion when he heard Ororo’s soft voice say, “I should hate you. I want to hate you. God, I’ve tried to hate you. But I don’t. I can’t. I loved you too much to hate you…”

Forty minutes later Ororo stepped back through the sliding glass door. Her eyes were faintly red rimmed and she smelled of tears, but she was smiling slightly.

Logan stood up from the small end-table he was seated on.

She stepped toward him. “You didn’t have to wait for me,” she whispered

“I know.”

“Thank you.”

He reached out with his hand and cupped her jaw with one rough palm. “Anytime.” Moonlight cast his face in unforgiving shadows but Ororo was certain she had never seen anything more appealing.

“You should get to bed,” he suggested after a lengthy pause.

“I thought you might like to kiss me,” she murmured softly, her brow furrowing.

Logan repressed a groan. There was nothing more that he would like to do than to kiss her senseless, but he knew that she was in a vulnerable position, having just laid herself bare at Jean’s grave and being more than a bit tipsy.

“Of course,” she whispered, leaning closer. “I could always kiss you, and then blame the alcohol.”

Logan could only resist so much temptation. With a small growl he pulled her up close to his chest, his fingers threading through her hair. “Just remember who asked who for what,” he said as his mouth came down on hers.
Five by windrider1




The world spun off of its axis.

At least that was what it felt like for Ororo. Her world, already off kilter from too much alcohol flew into complete disarray the instant she felt Logan's lips on hers. She clutched the cotton encompassing his shoulders in a death grip, her mouth opening of its own volition beneath the heated assault of his. He tasted so good. More intoxicating than the fine wine and sherry she had indulged in that night.

She stretched up on her tiptoes and returned his kiss full measure; frantically, passionately. For this one moment she allowed herself the luxury of indulging in her most secret feelings and desires--where none other than Logan lay at the heart of both.

The kiss in the upstairs hallway the other night was kids play compared to this, she thought as his tongue stroked hers, encouraging her to explore his mouth in return. Where that kiss had been a teasing gesture with light nips and pleasant sensations, this kiss was a dark and sensual foray that ignited the kindling brush fire that was ever present between the two of them, the one that they both so valiantly tried to ignore.

Logan's fingers removed the delicate pins holding her hair in place before immersing more fully into her satiny strands. He cradled her face between his palms as his mouth--that wonderful mouth--completely took over hers. It only took that moment for Ororo to confirm a fact she already knew to be true. He had far more experience in this area than she did. The man made kissing an art form that rivaled anything da Vinci could put together.

Strong hands slid along her back, lifting her up against him. She gasped when she felt the hard ridge of his jeans, just below his belt buckle, pressing boldly against her stomach. The evidence of his arousal sang through her.

It was Logan that finally ended the kiss, lifting his head away from hers. The dangerous intensity in his eyes made her shiver. Not with fear, but with acute anticipation.

Logan was breathing harshly, his fingers flexing against the curve of Ororo's back. Her damp, pouted mouth drew his hungry gaze. Just a bit more, he told himself. One more kiss and then he'd let her go, before her reason rushed in and her icy barriers came up. Before he did something that they'd both regret.

She must have wanted the same thing because her head tilted up eagerly, her lips brushing his. The fleeting touch scorched him. Never had a kiss affected him so passionately. Not even Jean in her overheated Phoenix mode had made him burn like he was now.

Immediately, thoughts of the redhead brought forth feelings of guilt. He shouldn't dwell there, shouldn't feel any guilt, he knew. After all, Jean had never really been his, but thinking of how her kisses paled in comparison to Ororo's seemed like a betrayal on his part. Wasn't he supposed to forever hold her on an unattainable pedestal? One that should never be reached, much less surpassed.

Logan pulled back once more, letting out a ragged breath. He tried without success to convince his hands to let go of their prize. A quick, humorless, laugh passed his lips when they refused to obey his command. He dropped his head to the crook of her neck, taking a deep, calming breath, and immediately wished he hadn't. No woman should smell so damn good, he thought as his lips parted to allow his tongue access to her pulse.

Taste so damn good.

Look so damn good.

Feel so damn good.

He leaned back and looked into her eyes, now shining an indescribable, beautiful shade of blue due to the smoldering passion that he'd ignited there, and he felt a surge of primitive, male satisfaction. Passion was good, but he wanted a whole hell of a lot more. He wanted things from her that he had no right to want. His mouth twisted, realizing that he was dangerously close to crossing a line that should not be crossed between them. "We should stop." His voice was rough, graveled.

Ororo simply blinked languidly in return, still dazed by his kisses.
Logan's reluctant hands moved to her shoulders, setting her gently away from him. "We both know this ain't a good idea," he elaborated.

Without Logan's warmth pressed close, Ororo felt herself growing colder, feeling vulnerably exposed. "Not a good idea," she repeated dully.

He nodded. "Neither one of us really wants this; or what will come after."

Ororo, though still fuzzy from too much wine and drugged by feverish kisses, was astute and aware enough to know when she was being rebuffed. Her instinctive defense rose up and cool reserve slowly replaced simmering passion. "And exactly what do you think I'm offering you here, Logan?"

Logan pushed his fingers through his hair and let out a heavy sigh. Her sudden chill demeanor annoyed him. "A whole lotta misery, that's what."

Misery? He was saying that being with her would bring him misery? This coming from the man that had spent the past two years pursuing a taken woman and having his heart ripped to shreds was unbelievably insulting. And hurtful. Ororo tried in vain to ignore the sharp blow to her pride.

She was fuming, he could tell by the arctic swirl of her eyes, but he refused to take back what he'd said.

"My apologies if kissing me was such a miserable experience for you."

He didn't take the bait. "You're drunk, `Ro. If you were thinkin' rationally you'd agree with me."

She lifted her chin, hiding her hurt behind the familiar mask of indifference. "You're absolutely right. I'm drunk. What's your excuse?"

"I'm male."

She looked ready to hit him again.

He wanted to comfort her, but didn't, knowing that if he touched her again it would be him that couldn't stop. "'Ro…"

She turned her face, her eyes veiled by dark lashes, still damp from her graveside tears. "Don't worry, Wolverine. I harbor no illusions of anything between us. It was just a kiss." She stepped back, gathered her shoes and hairpins and moved past him.

Logan watched her walk away, his hands clenching at his sides to keep from reaching for her. If she knew how close he was to hauling her into his arms and taking her right there in the hall she wouldn't be walking away from him, she'd be running.

It was just a kiss. Her soft words echoed in his mind. Yeah, right. His body still thrummed with wanting.

He waited until he heard her bedroom door open and close before he went back out the glass doors to the garden. Outside he took a couple of deep breaths, once more following the maze to the back.

He crouched on one knee in front of Jean's headstone, touched the engraving briefly, his gaze somber. He moved a few feet back, seating himself cross-legged on the grass. "I think I may have fucked up again," he said aloud, speaking to Xavier's memorial. "Go figure, right, Chuck?"

He pinched a blade of grass between his thumb and forefinger, contemplating it with the same intensity a scientist would study an elusive find. Although his elusive find and the focus of his thoughts were not the plucked greenery in his hand, but were instead concentrated on the enigma that was Ororo Munroe.

She was occupying more and more of his thoughts lately and even more of his fantasies. Where once he had only dreamed of a pliant and willing redhead, a seductive, snow crowned minx had begun to take up residence. With her delectable mouth, flawless face and curvaceous figure Ororo could tempt a priest out of celibacy.

It was one of the reasons, Logan whole heartedly believed, that Nightcrawler had left the X-Men. He saw the way the indigo elf had stared at Storm. It was a look that no holy man should have on his face except at the feet of God. Nightcrawler's face had been full of such awe and reference that Logan had actually felt a touch of sympathy for the guy. He imagined that was how his face looked when he stared after Jean.

Logan knew he didn't stare after Ororo like that. He didn't lust after her with the same sense of adoration. The way he looked at Storm, when he was certain she was unaware of it, was more of a: "Hello. Could I bend you over please?" look.

If he was completely honest with himself, something he wasn't altogether sure he wanted to be at that moment, he could have broken Jean and Ororo down into categories.

Jean had been the sweet girl he had wanted to save. Protect. Cherish.

Ororo was the woman he wanted to dominate. Posses. Challenge.

That thought disturbed and excited him all at once.

He glanced furtively at Charles' tombstone, somehow expecting it to rebuke him for his rather racy thoughts. But all was silent in the garden. There was no scornful admonishment from the graves. No one telling him that his feelings were wrong, unwanted, misplaced. No one that was--but him.

A soft breeze through the trees brought to him the scent of flowers and rain. He closed his eyes and dropped his head. Damn.




Upstairs in her room Ororo pressed her palm to the glass of her balcony doors, her heavy lidded gaze resting on the man crouched in the garden. She smiled mirthlessly, her own words coming back to her. Even dead, Jean had more of Logan than she could ever hope to have. She quickly turned away from the window.

She didn't know what had possessed her to be so foolish as to encourage Logan to kiss her. It was a mistake. She knew this. But to have him point it out to her was a humiliation that she could have done without.

She had hoped that over time her feelings for Logan, that initial attraction, would fade away, and for awhile it had. Faced with his obvious adoration of her best friend, Ororo had been given little other choice than to bury that spark or carry the torch of longing for someone that didn't want her. She'd even told Jean once, "What I feel for him is small stuff. You two; you're the show."

So she had dug deep and buried her feelings. But like most things, they hadn't remained buried. Even before Jean's miraculous return Ororo had begun to find her thoughts drawn more and more to the Institute's resident feral. She wouldn't deny her attraction, but she had been able, up until tonight, to deny she harbored any real emotions for him.
That all changed with one hot, hungry, unbridled kiss.

She leaned her forehead against the cool wood of her wall. She was falling in love with Logan, and she had better find a way to stop it, because she had the distinct impression that he wouldn't be there to catch her if she did; and a fall from the enamored height she was at could likely prove fatal.

~X~


A few thousand miles away Bolivar Trask sat on a luxury four-poster bed in a Detroit hotel room, his deep set eyes reading the classified papers before him. The documents were meticulously detailed and organized, which was no surprise considering who had put the package together. Henry Gyrich had been an anal retentive prick when he was alive, but a more compulsively organized person would be hard to find.

Trask took a sip from his glass of Kentucky Straight whiskey beside him and set the papers down. He drummed his thick fingers atop the nightstand, his sharp mind already formulating strategies to locate funding, security, business alliances and potential partners.

Although most of Senator Robert Kelly's ideas had never been brought to fruition, they all had merit. Especially the one Bolivar had just reviewed. Trask took another swallow, his heavy brows drawing forward. He had hoped to avoid such extreme measures, but with McCoy proving to be an even bigger obstacle than anticipated, he was left with little alternative.

It was his job to protect the people, the law abiding citizens, of this country that he had sworn allegiance too, and by God, he'd keep that oath. He'd be damned if he'd let a bunch of soft headed politicians, safe and secure in their cushy mansions--thanks to him--deter him from delivering justice to those that ran amuck over it.

With one last glance at documents on the table Trask clicked off the bedside lamp. Project Wideawake would not be easy to launch, but he was determined, and when he was determined, he was even more unstoppable than that freak Cain Marko. With that thought he closed his eyes and slept easy.

~X~


Alicia Vargas rolled from her blue furred lover, pushing back her sweat slicked brown hair with a soft exclamation of, "Oh my God, Henry!"

Hank smiled broadly, a smile of pure contentment, turning to his side, his large hand caressing her bare arm. She had taken his strategic repositioning rather well, considering. He knew she wouldn't be joining him immediately in New York. She still worked for the White House and would be reassigned to a local official, at least until her request for relocation went through.

After a long, breathy silence Alicia turned towards him, circling his waist with her arm. "I'll miss you." It was the most vulnerable the hard-ass bodyguard ever let herself be.

Henry, knowing very well that "I'll miss you" translated into "I love you" for Alicia, kissed her slowly, reverently. "And I you, but this parting is not such sweet sorrow. I will make a few phone calls and have your paper work expedited."

She raised herself up onto her elbow, her hazel eyes searching his softer blues. It wasn't like Henry to use his pull for such a trivial thing. "You're worried." It wasn't a question.

Hank nodded, revealing to her what he would reveal to no one else. "More so than I care to admit."

"Trask is harmless. All bluster." She attempted to soothe.

Hank gave her a quizzical look. She knew better than anyone how determined, ruthless and cunning Bolivar Trask could be when his back was against the wall. Alicia had worked closely with the Secretary over several years before Henry had come onto the scene. She was at one time considered his protege.

Realizing that Hank saw through her as she did him, Alicia said quite seriously. "If it comes down to it, you know whose back I've got."
"As always, you are my ray of sunshine."

She sighed, resting her head under his chin. They lay that way throughout the remainder of the night, neither one sleeping.

~X~


"Whoa!" Ororo was forced to lift her breakfast plate over her head with both hands in order to avoid having its contents knocked to the floor by a haphazardly running Rahne.

"Sorry!" the girl called over her shoulder, disappearing out the side entry before Ororo could so much as mutter a hello.

Ororo turned, shaking her head in gentle amusement, her lips parted in a smile. It was good to see Rahne adjusting to the Institute so well. She imagined it was the first real shelter the girl had had in a long while if her frail appearance and raggedy clothing were any indication.

Ororo remembered all too well the hunger and feeling of helplessness associated with living on the streets. Not to mention the humiliation and the realization that a person would do just about anything to put food in their stomach.

Still lost in her own thoughts Ororo didn't notice Logan enter the kitchen until he was right behind her and announced his presence himself. "Mornin', darlin'."

"Jesus." She whirled, her plate falling from suddenly clumsy fingers. Scrambled egg and broken ceramic decorated the red tiled floor. She bent down immediately hoping to conceal her flushed face, a shade she was certain that matched the tiles. With hurried movements she began to scoop up handfuls of yellow egg.

"Here." Logan crouched down, picking up the larger fragments of the broken plate.

He smelled good, she thought as he leaned beside her. Like soap and something altogether masculine and...wild. Against her will, her eyes strayed toward him. He was dressed in his usual 'uniform' of broken in jeans, tank and a light blue and gray flannel. She couldn't help the flutter she felt in her stomach as the muscles beneath the cotton stretched the material taut with his motions. Such a simple action should not get such a heated response, she thought, helpless to fight it.

He caught her stare. Unspoken current flowed between them.

"I'm all set," she said icily, the first to break eye contact. She reached out to snag the pieces of her plate from him and in her haste she inadvertently sliced her palm. Ororo inhaled a sharp breath, drawing her hand close to her chest.

Logan gave her an exasperated look. "Now look what you've done. Ya've gone and hurt yourself."

"I'm fine," she argued despite the drop of blood that splotched her khakis.

He held out one tanned hand. "Lemme see."

"I said it was fine." She stood. Ignoring his reproachful glower she wadded some paper towels from above the sink into the center of her hand.

Logan got to his feet as well, a scowl marring his handsome face. "You're a stubborn broad, you know that," he snapped.

Too busy trying to pretend he wasn't in the room she refrained from responding.

Logan rubbed the back of his neck and decided to shoot the elephant in the room. "Look `Ro about last night--" he began only to be stopped by her raising her good hand.

"No," she said flatly, still not looking at him. "There is nothing that needs to be said." At least nothing that she wanted to hear. She didn't think she could take the rejection in the broad light of morning. Or worse, some sort of awkward "it's not you." speech. She pursed her lips.
She'd been dealt a blow to her feminine pride and the old adage of a woman scorned flashed in Logan's head. He really didn't fell like testing that out with a woman that could summon lightning.

He tried to reason it out for her despite her obvious want to avoid the subject, hoping to take the hurt from her eyes--a hurt he was unsure that she was even aware was showing. "You're a woman, I'm a man. It's only expected that at some point nature'd rear its head."

"Anatomy lesson noted," she replied, her tone acidic. She took a breath, knowing she was acting childish and said, much more sedate, "If you don't mind, I'd rather forget the whole thing ever happened."

He smiled ruefully, wondering how the hell she planned on doing that, because he sure as hell couldn't get the way she felt pressed against him out of his mind. The way she had tasted. The small breathy sounds she had made pressed up against him. He intentionally bit the inside of his cheek hoping to deflect his wayward thoughts and the growing hardness in his pants.

"Excuse me. I think I'll go find a bandage."

Logan watched her go, doubting if he'd ever be able to not put his foot in his mouth where Ororo was concerned.



Ororo sighed, her head bent over her wounded hand. It was a small cut, nothing to fret over, but that wasn't what was causing her discontentment. Her face scrunched into a distasteful scowl at her own behavior. She had no right to be so callous toward Logan; he was after all only giving her the truth. What had she wanted him to do? Lie to her? No. That wasn't the way between them. If nothing else they had always been frank and honest--sometimes brutally so--with one another.

Ororo taped the gauze into place, closing her bathroom's first aid kit and returning it to her medicine cabinet. She nearly jumped out of her skin when Kitty's head popped through the wall behind her, reflected in the mirror.

"Kitty!" Ororo turned, her eyes flashing.

Kitty grinned. "Sorry about that. I just wanted you to know that a real expensive looking limo just pulled up."

Ororo nodded. "You may want to consider knocking next time."

"I suppose I could, but where's the fun in that?" She was gone again.
Ororo rolled her eyes.

A moment later Kitty's head reappeared, much to Ororo's consternation. "Didjya know that Logan meditated in the nude?"

Ororo's eyes widened. "Katherine!"

Her full name did nothing to remove the impish smile from the younger girl's face. "Just thought you might be interested in that little tidbit. Bye now."

Ororo should have reprimanded her more but the image of Logan, naked and meditating, momentarily stole her breath and her full attention. She rubbed her forehead with her fingertips, a headache already forming. It was going to be a long day.



Outside in the courtyard Logan pulled a cigar from his front pocket, watching the impressive figure of Hank McCoy, Fur-ball to him, striding towards him. Gone was the three piece suit that the larger man usually wore and instead a tee shirt and dark jeans were the politician's choice of attire. It was a bit disconcerting to see.

Logan stuck out his hand, shaking Henry's in a hearty grip. "What brings you by?" he asked.

"Ororo didn't tell you?" Hank inquired, releasing Logan's hand.

"Tell me what?"

"I'm moving back into the Mansion."

Logan's brows went up. “No shit?”

“I most assuredly shit you not,” Henry replied with good humor.

Logan chuckled. “'Ro never mentioned it.”

“Hm.” Henry made a noncommittal murmur.

Both men were interrupted by a joyful, "Henry!" from the woman in question as she started towards them, her arms open for a hug.

Logan had the absurd notion to shove Hank aside and take the embrace himself. He restrained the urge. Barely.

"I wasn't expecting you so soon," Ororo said, squeezing her friend affectionately.

"I thought it best not to wait too long, given the circumstances."

"I agree," Ororo replied with a nod.

"What circumstances?" Logan wanted to know.

Henry gave Ororo a speculative look. "You haven't told him yet?"

She shook her head. "Not yet. I had planned to tell the X-Men in our next training session. The students need not be concerned, they've been through enough."

Henry agreed. The students of Xavier's had endured far too much in the recent months, they need not fret over a situation that may turn out to be nothing.

Logan met Ororo's gaze then flicked his attention back to Henry, waiting impatiently for either of them to fill him in. Henry took the honors, telling him in succinct and brief detail what had thus far transpired and why he was moving back into the Mansion.

Logan, hearing the information retold, grew rigid, his nostrils flaring. "They want to press charges against the X-Men?" he all but growled.

“Henry has put himself on the line to ensure that won't happen,” Ororo pointed out with a healthy amount of pride and gratitude in her tone. She returned her attention to her blue furred friend. “What is it you'll need to set up your office?”

“Not much. As it is all I really need right now is a computer and a phone. I'll also need you to go over some paperwork with me a bit later.”

Great, more paperwork. Ororo grimaced a bit, but nodded. “Of course.”

“The movers should be arriving later this evening with the bulk of my possessions. Is my old room still free?”

“Yes. Charles always said one day you'd return,” she smiled gently, gripping Hank's hand. “It would appear he was right.”

“He usually was,” Henry replied, patting her hand. He noticed the bandage. “What happened?”

Ororo felt color flush her cheeks, reminded of her own rash actions, ones that had nothing to do with the plate. “An accident.” She began walking towards the front doors. “Come, let's get you settled.”

Logan hung back, contemplative. McCoy was far tenser than he was letting on. He was hiding it well, but Logan had scented it. It made him wonder what Hank knew that he wasn't sharing.

He glanced up in time to see Ororo cast him a worried look over her shoulder. It seemed she too had the feeling of all not being quite right. He nodded once, letting her know that she wasn't alone in her assessment.

She disappeared through the doors with Henry.

late evening…

Ororo signed yet another form that Henry handed to her, the quick swirl of her pen the only sound in the library. She leaned back in her chair, raising her arms over her head to stretch, her pale blue shirt lifting to provide a tantalizing view of her flat abdomen.

Henry perused the documents, insuring that all the proper places had been initialed and signed. “That's the last of them,” he said shuffling the pile.

“Good,” Ororo responded with a roll of her eyes. “Because if I see one more piece of paperwork…” she let the threat trail off.

Henry chuckled. “Buried in it, are you?”

She held her hand to her eyebrows.

“I should have stayed to help--” he began.

She interrupted. “Nonsense, Hank. You've done so much for us, for all mutants,” she reached across the desk. She waited until his eyes met and held hers. “You've done good, Blue.” She used an old nickname that she'd given him in the early days.

Those early days, of cocky attitudes and black and white right and wrong seemed so long ago. The years had not been easy for those that had stayed on at Xavier’s, but the friendships formed were unbreakable. Even Charles’ and Erik’s, Ororo mused silently.

Hank lifted her fingers to his lips, delivering a gentlemanly kiss. “He would be very proud of you.”

Ororo didn’t need to ask who Hank referred to. She smiled softly. “Forge said much the same thing.”

“The man is a certified genius,” Hank pointed out.

A throat cleared in the doorway. “Interrupting?” Kitty asked quietly.

Ororo turned towards the doorway. “What are you doing up, Kitten? Curfew was three hours ago.”

Kitty's face, normally full of vibrant energy, was drawn in concern. “I think Jimmy is having a nightmare, but I can‘t get in. The door‘s locked and he‘s not answering.” Jimmy's room was against one of the outside walls so he had a view, and pressed against the corner of another and though the position was a desirable one for Jimmy, it made it hard for Kitty to phase in from any way but the front. It made it difficult for anyone to reach the boy, which was the point.

Ororo was immediately on her feet. “Excuse me, Henry.”

“Of course.” He said with understanding. “Tend to your flock.”

She took the stairs two at a time. She rounded the second floor corner at a dead run, her heartbeat accelerating when she noticed that Jimmy's door was no longer closed, but ajar, and there was no sign of the boy.

“Jimmy!” she cried, shoving the door open so hard it rebounded off the wall, nearly slamming into her face. She drew to a halt inside the room, her mouth opened on a startled gasp of horror. “Oh, God, Logan!”

Logan lay on the floor, his face pale beneath his scruff and his lips were a grisly shade of blue. He didn't seem to be breathing. “Hank!” Ororo screamed, rushing to Logan's side.

Jimmy was huddled in the closet, his eyes squeezed shut, rocking back and forth, saying over and over, “I didn’t mean to. I didn’t mean to.”

Ororo bent over her fallen teammate, rolling him onto his back, checking his airway for obstruction. Finding none she began mouth to mouth. “Come on, Logan,” she commanded. “Breathe.” She placed her hands over his chest and froze. How did you give compressions to something that wouldn't compress? Logan's adamantium skeleton prevented the action. She screamed for Hank again, but he was already in the room.

Hank, calmly and efficiently switched into Doctor mode, easing Ororo out of the way. He checked Logan’s vitals. “No pulse.”

“He’s not breathing either,” Ororo informed him, fear making her voice shake.

Hank looked up to where Jimmy sat. “My boy, you need to leave this room. Immediately.”

Jimmy’s wide eyes, so innocent, tore at Henry’s heart. “I didn’t mean to,” he repeated weakly.

“Shh, shh, shh,” Kitty calmed him, bending down and pulling him up close to her body, hunkering him against her slender shoulder. “It’s okay, they know. But we gotta go now, ok.” She led him towards the door.

Ororo’s scream for Hank had drawn several students from their rooms. “Stay back,“ she ordered them, policing the room, not wanting them to see Wolverine down; and also needing to do something to keep herself from panic.

Questions came at her from the curious onlookers. What had happened? Were they under attack again? Fear and tension mingled with avid curiosity.

Marie shrieked when she saw Logan’s fallen form. “Logan!” The southerner cried out, trying to shoulder past the others to get into the room.

Ororo restrained her. “No. Everyone back out of this room. Now!” The command was punctuated by a roll of thunder.

“You can’t make me leave him,” Marie argued vehemently. She shrugged off Bobby’s comforting hand stepping forward to go toe to toe with Ororo.

Ororo knew the girl was upset, but she was a distraction. One that could not be afforded at the moment. Ororo took one step back and slammed the door in Marie’s face.

“Is he gonna be all right?” Jimmy asked quietly, his eyes awash with fresh tears.

“Don’t you worry,” Kitty said reassuringly, with false cheer. “You know Storm, she won’t let anything bad happen to him.” Kitty hoped using Storm’s name would alleviate some of Jimmy’s misplaced guilt.

Ororo on the other side of the door felt the tidal wave of responsibility crashing over her. They had lost too many lives, she was not losing Logan.

“I believe he has severe metal poisoning,” Hank said. “Damn, I wish I had my kit,” he grumbled, though in his heart he knew there was nothing in there to really help.

Ororo hollered through the door, “Kitty! Med kit!”

“On it!” she heard the muffled response.

Kitty turned to Marie. “Watch him,” she gestured to Jimmy.

Marie regarded the boy warily. “Did he do this to him?” she asked.

Bobby placed his hand on Jimmy’s shoulder. “We got him.”

“It was an accident. Not so different than the one you had,” Kitty said sharply. She gave Jimmy a supportive squeeze, stepped a few feet back and dropped through the floor, not stopping until she reached basement level.

Inside Jimmy’s room Hank swore.

Ororo shot her friend a apprehensive look. Hank rarely swore. “Hank?”

“I’m sorry, Ororo.” He sat back on his haunches.

Dread clutched Ororo’s heart. “Don’t say it,” she hissed. “Because no, Hank. Ok, just--just no!” She scrambled to Logan’s side again. “I know you can hear me, Logan. You have to fight, alright? Fight.” She pinched his nose and began to breathe for him.

“The toxic levels in his blood--” Ozone caused the fur on his body to stand on end.

“I said no, Henry.” She repeated with quiet determination.

It was clear he didn‘t like delivering the news, but he reaffirmed, “Ororo, his heart’s stopped. I can’t defib him, not with his metal bones, I’ll cook him from the inside out.”

She swallowed hard, her throat tight. “I. Will. Not. Lose. Him.” She enunciated each word carefully. With a firm grip on his shirt Ororo ripped it wide open.

“Storm, what are you doing?” Hank asked uneasily.

“I need you to tell me how much to juice,” she said, her now white eyes focused on the center of Logan’s chest. Her slender hands hovered, crackling. “Hank.” She made it an order.

“Three hundred joules. Low peak current,” he responded, hardly daring to hope that her insane idea would work.

Ororo focused on channeling her energy specifically, through Logan’s ribcage, without touching his bones. It was a near impossible feat, but one she had to try. She couldn’t lose him. She just couldn’t.

Logan’s body arced in spasm then dropped. Hank picked up his wrist. “Nothing.”

Ororo’s expression didn’t flicker. “Clear!” she commanded.

Again, nothing.

“Ororo…”

“No, Hank!”

He opened his mouth but the look she shot him silenced anything he wanted to say. Not even Xavier’s death had put such a look of desolation on his friend’s face. He nodded at her. “Four hundred joules. Low peak current.”

Ororo focused. Logan’s body arched, dropped and remained unresponsive.

“Damn you, Wolverine,” she said, tears evaporating from her heated eyes. “Don’t you die on me, you jerk!”

Kitty shot through the floor. “Here!” She moved to hand the kit to Henry, but knew before he reached for it, that it was a useless tool.

Hank, however, saw another tool. He grabbed Kitty. “Child, can you control the level of your phasing?”

She blinked rapidly. “Yes.”

He tugged her to the floor beside Ororo. “Reach into his chest and grab his heart.”

“What?” Kitty looked terrified.

“I want you to stimulate his heart. Pump it for him.” Hank explained rapidly.

Kitty looked panic stricken. “What-what if I kill him?”

Henry’s tone was grave. “He’s already dead. It’s up to us to bring him back.”

One look into his soulful eyes and Kitty felt instant trust. “Okay,” she agreed.

Step by step Hank led the women through the series of pump, shock, breathe. Over and over, with Kitty manipulating Logan’s heart, Ororo providing a current to keep it pumping and Hank breathing for their feral friend.

It had only been six minutes since Ororo had found Logan on the floor, but it felt like an eternity. Each second feeling like an hour, each breath echoing in her head. Each beat of her heart that she wished she could give him thundered in her ears.

Don’t you dare die on me, Logan. The kids need you. I need you. Come back. Please. Come back.

A broken sound came from the man on the floor, a spluttering and retching sound that was the most beautiful thing Ororo had ever heard. Kitty carefully withdrew her hand, openly weeping as Henry turned Logan onto his side and helped him vomit out a thick black bile from his stomach.

Ororo, knowing that Logan was far from in the clear hastily opened the door and ordered someone to bring a stretcher.

As they were strapping Logan onto the stiff platform he lifted his eyelids partway open, his bloodshot eyes seeking out Ororo. She smiled down at him.

“You said please,” he whispered before slipping into peaceful unconsciousness with the help of the morphine shot Hank administered.
Six by windrider1


Voices.

Hushed.

Murmurs speaking in confidential tones.

The sterile smell of antiseptic.

Something in his arm. A needle.

Tubes; invading is body. His nose. His throat.

Flashes of fragmented memories filtered through his hazy mind. Phosphorous tanks. Men in masks. Pain, endless pain. Blood. Screams.

He tried to move; couldn’t. He tried to open his eyes, but even that small feat proved to be alarmingly futile. His head felt too heavy. He was trapped within his own body, wanting to roar against his helplessness. Where was he? Who had him? His heart rate accelerated causing a machine somewhere in the room to blip incessantly.

Immediately something cool and soft touched his forehead, smoothing his hair back. He caught the scent of rain and flowers as a soft voice whispered in his ear, “Shh. You’re safe, Logan. You’re safe. Sleep.”

A fleeting touch and a soothing whisper and he was instantly calming, the hazy darkness in his mind’s eye replaced by flowing snow, and silken strands wrapping themselves around him, cocooning him. Keeping him safe.

The gentle voice whispered her command once more, “Sleep.”

He slept.



Ororo watched him sleep.

Over twelve hours had passed since Logan’s revival from his ‘dead-as-a-doornail’ state, and in that time Ororo had cleared her desk of every piece of paperwork she’d had. Documents had been signed, mailed, or filed; each and every e-mail, fax and piece of postal had been read, deleted, shredded or saved. Phone calls to worried parents had been returned, staff interviews rescheduled, meetings and training planned.

She had grossly miscalculated how long those tasks were going to take her and despite her much grumbled about opposition to paperwork, she was not altogether thrilled to find herself momentarily caught up. She wanted to bury herself in work, as was her habit when she was stressed, because sitting idle was not good for her. Every paused moment she had was spent thinking about Logan and she worried.

She still hadn’t openly acknowledged how close they had truly come to losing the indestructible Wolverine, and she was relatively certain that she never would admit that fact aloud to anyone. It scared her too much. If she admitted it, voiced it, then she’d have to deal with the emotions that came with that acknowledgement; and not dealing with those feelings, though perhaps a bit cowardly, was far more preferable than facing them.

Even as she told herself that he was fine, that he would heal, that he didn’t need her, she had found her feet carrying her towards the elevator and the sublevels where he rested. Her inexplicable need to assure herself that Logan was indeed still with them plowed through any wall her rational side tried to throw up in protest.

Once inside the slate and steel room she couldn’t seem to tear her eyes off of him. She had to, more than once, fight down the completely irrational fear that if she looked away from him, then he’d be gone. Taken from her in a cruel twist of fate as her beloved mentor had been.

She knew it was ridiculous. Henry had all but guaranteed her that Logan was well past the worst of it and now all that was necessary was recovery; which for Logan would take hardly any time at all. The man brushed of injuries that would kill any normal person like they were scrapes on the knee.

“How’s he doing?”

She inclined her head toward the door, but her eyes remained locked on Logan‘s prone form. “Still sleeping.”

Henry entered the room, nodding his head as though expecting that answer. A long white lab coat hung over his great frame, sweeping against dark brown pants with each step. “Sleep is good for him. It is what he requires most right now.” Henry removed the chart hanging from the foot of the single bed, scanning his previous notations before checking the machines. “How is young Jimmy?” He asked Ororo over his shoulder.

Her sigh was quite telling. Ororo shifted her weight from one foot to the other, crossing her arms and drumming her fingertips along her forearm. “Withdrawn. He seems even more reluctant to come out of his room than before, if you can believe that.”

Hank frowned. He felt a deep pang of sympathy for the child that had endured so much pain in the past year. Someone so young should not have such a tremendous burden placed on his shoulders.

Ororo felt the same way. Not wanting the boy to feel anymore guilt than she knew he must already be feeling, she had attempted to speak with Jimmy about the events in his room. Apparently the entire situation had been one bad turn upon another. It all started with a nightmare, one that Jimmy refused to revisit--even with her.

Logan had been passing in the hall when Jimmy had rush from his room, searching for Ororo in a blind panic. Logan had reached for the boy, most likely to calm him or to halt his mad dash, and the immediate shutdown of his healing factor had caused his body to respond violently to the metal lacing his bones. He had seized and fallen forward through Jimmy’s door. Try as he might, Jimmy had been unable to move away fast enough and Logan’s weight had trapped his legs. Because of this he had been unable to wiggle out of range for a minute and when he had scrambled free Logan‘s healing factor had failed to kick back in..

The incident weighed heavily on him, and though Ororo had tried to comfort him, Jimmy was determined to avoid people once more. His self inflicted alienation reminded Ororo eerily of young Marie when she had first came to the team. Like Marie, he was such a loving, gentle soul, that to see him isolate himself broke her heart.

“He’ll come around,” Henry said, jarring her from her thoughts. He flashed her a toothy grin, scribbling some numbers. “No one can resist you for very long, my dear.”

“I hope so. He’s come so far, it’d be such a shame for him to retreat from us now.”

“I know you, you won’t let that happen.” Henry lowered the clipboard. “Losing Jimmy to his self doubt and fear is no more an option for you than letting Wolverine die.” Hank knew, better than most, that the idea of failure and the ability to give up were completely foreign concepts to his white haired friend. She would face insurmountable odds and never back down. That inner strength was the very essence of who she was, and what made her such an important pillar in Xavier’s house.

“No,” Ororo agreed on a whisper. “I won’t lose him.”

Seeing the glimmer of resolve in her eyes Hank did not doubt she meant it, but he was not altogether certain as to whom Ororo referred to in that moment; Logan or Jimmy. From the faraway look on her face, Hank doubted that she knew either.




The voices were back again.

One deep and solid like a bass drum. One soft and smooth. Comforting. Like warm velvet.

He tried to turn his head towards that sound. The one that eased the pain and chased away the demons, but found, as before, that he was unable to do so. Something was holding his head in place.

Padding of some sort.

Smelled of vinyl.

There was a silence between the room’s other occupants and some motion. They were milling carefully around him. He followed the sounds as best he could, still unable to come fully awake.

Buttons being pushed.

The scratch of pen on paper.

Breathing.

Heartbeats.

In his foggy state he was incapable of making his thoughts connect coherently; everything was free floating and random. He could shake off elephant tranqs if he needed to, but he couldn’t shake this. He didn’t know what drug they were pumping him with, but it was a strong one, whatever it was. Or he was really weak. That thought put a chill in his body.

“He hates the med-lab,” warm velvet was saying, drawing his scattered attention once more.

Bass Drum replied with, “At the rate he is healing, he will be out of here soon.”

“Not soon enough.”

Fingertips brushed his cheek, there and gone almost in the same instant, bringing with them the scent of the outdoors and peace. He wanted to reach up and take hold, but before he could even try she was moving away, her voice becoming more and more muffled as sleep overcame him. “How soon can we move him…”




Ground Metal.

His mouth tasted like ground metal. It was as though he’d eaten a case of his beer cans as opposed to drinking out of them. Logan smacked his too dry lips together, attempting to rid himself of the horrid, bitter tang.

“Here.”

Hank was seated on a small stool beside the bed, water bottle in hand. Logan levered himself up onto his elbows and took the offered beverage, drinking heartily, taking in the room with a quick glance. Dark curtains, hardwood floors, the scent of cigars and Molson. His bedroom.

“Ororo insisted you wake in you room,” Hank provided by way of explanation, though Logan hadn’t asked. The larger man bent at the waist, reaching for his medical bag.

Logan gave the good doctor a cocked eyebrow when Hank pulled out a tongue depressor and light.

“Say ‘Ahhh’.”

“You stick that thing anywhere near me, Bub, and you’ll be the one needin’ a doctor,” Logan warned.

Henry lowered his arms, giving an exasperated sigh. “Must you be so difficult?”

Logan didn‘t budge. “It’s my nature.” He laid back down, his strength still nowhere near performance level. He felt weak as a newborn, to tell the truth, and that pissed him off.

“You will require an abundance of H2O, my friend. And rest.” Hank stated matter-of-factly. “I strongly recommend avoiding any type of physical excursion, at least for the remainder of this evening--”

Logan snorted dismissively. “Quit yer henpeckin’, McCoy. Gimme a few minutes and I’ll be good as new.”

Hank paused in snapping his case shut. “You do realize that you have been unconscious for the better part of a day.”

Logan scowled. Had he really been out of it for that long? He rubbed his fingers against his temples, forcefully recalling exactly why he felt like a bus had mowed him down. He swallowed back another drink. “How’s the boy?” he asked after a moment of collecting his thoughts.

“Jimmy is understandably upset, but otherwise he is unharmed.”

“Good.” Logan hadn’t liked the idea that perhaps he had hurt the child inadvertently.

“Storm is looking after him,” Henry added, almost as an afterthought.

“The kid’s lucky to have her,” Logan commented sincerely.

“She saved your life, you know.”

No he hadn’t known, but he had suspected as much. He took another drink from his water bottle, grimacing, wishing he had a beer. “Did she now?”

“Her and young Kitty.” Henry concisely relayed all that had transpired in Jimmy’s room.

It took Logan a full minute to digest everything the Fur-ball had just laid on him. Fuck. He’d been close, damn close to dying countless times in his miserable life, but to be done in by a kid and a nightmare…that kind of irony would surely be a great jest in hell.

A quiet knock sounded, interrupting.

“Henry?”

Every muscle in Logan’s body responded to that soft voice. Shadows of remembrance flitted just beneath the surface of conscious thought like trout beneath water. Come back. I need you. His bedroom door opened a fraction allowing amber light from the hall to spill in. His gut clenched expectantly.

“Sorry to bother you, but you have a phone call.” Ororo’s head peeked around the corner. Her eyes traveled to the bed and where Logan lay in the shadows. The grin that spread across her face could have dimmed the sun. “Hey,” she greeted, moving into the room and making her way towards him.

Hank pat her on the shoulder as he passed her, headed to take his call. “See that he rests,” he instructed sternly before closing the door.

Ororo took Hank’s still warm seat, rolling it beside the bed. She reached for Logan’s hand, grasping it within her own.

Logan welcomed the gesture and the firm presence of her hand over his. “Hey.”

“How are you feeling?” She asked, concern evident in the darkness of her molasses eyes.

“I’ll live.”

She squeezed his thick fingers, hiding her true emotions behind a veil of humor. “Good. I don’t have time to hunt down anymore staff.”

He smiled a bit at that. “I hear I owe you and Kitty some thanks.”

Her eyes flared with an emotion that Logan didn’t recognize. “No thanks necessary. It’s what we do, you know. We’re a team.”

“A team. Right.” He seemed to mull over that term. “I ain’t never been much of team kinda guy.”

She made no comment. He had proven time and again that despite his say to the contrary, he was indeed a valuable team member. If he chose to still see himself as the lone wolf, who was she to correct his misconception?

“Is there anything I can get you?” she asked looking around the room.

“Beer.”

She shook her head, mouth quirked in a way that was fast becoming endearing to him. “Aside from that.”

He lifted his eyes to hers, their gazes holding. A long, drawn out moment passed between them, and all the tension from the previous few days was erased, both grateful for the chance to let bygones be just that.

Ororo stood, releasing his hand. “I should get back downstairs. Peter and Bobby are attempting to cook dinner this evening.”

Logan ached with the absence of her warmth. He shook that feeling off, disgusted at his own weakness. “Popsicle and Tin-Man are cookin’ dinner. Feeling rather brave, aren’t ya, ‘Ro?”

She shrugged but he caught her sly smile. “Whatever doesn’t kill you, right?”

“Yeah.” He cleared his throat. “Ororo?”

She paused, nearly at his door, startled by his use of her full name. “Yes?”

He halted, searching for the right words. All he came up with was a raspy, “Thank you.”

They shared another heavy look. “Get some rest, Logan. I’ll send you up some dinner.”

~X~

The facility was certainly large enough, Bolivar Trask thought, his polished boot heels echoing against the concrete as he strode through one of the long abandoned government warehouses along the property. The size of two jumbo airline hangars, this building was more than adequate to serve his purposes.

Put up for private auction, with only the who’s who of officials even aware of the sale, the clandestine base in the heart of the Midwest had served its purpose and was now up for bid.

The young, prematurely balding, junior executive named David, giving him the tour was talking. “Along with the sturdy frame, the walls are reinforced--”

“I’ll take it.” Bolivar interrupted.

The man blinked rapidly behind his glasses giving Bolivar the impression of an owl. “Ex-excuse me, sir?”

Bolivar turned on the younger man his hard face impassive. “I said I would take it.”

David spluttered for words. “Very good, sir.”

“To which agency should I have the money wired?”

A small rectangle with appropriate account numbers was hastily thrust forward. “Here, sir.”

Bolivar pulled out his thin cell phone, giving the younger man a pointed look.

David beat a rapid retreat, turning his back and moving several feet away.

Into the cell Bolivar said, “It’s a go.”

Twenty minutes later he signed on the dotted line, taking possession of the facility that would become ground zero for Project Wideawake.

He had been fortunate enough to find and secure a significant amount of funding almost immediately. Bolivar had made it a point over the course of his long career to know exactly who held similar viewpoints and ambitions as he did. Who would cave, who stood firm, who was influenced and who was influential. As it stood now he had several high ranking politicians in his corner as well as a dozen commercial businesses and companies. Owners, all too eager to share their bottom dollars in order to control the ‘mutant menace’ as Senator Kelly had dubbed it when he had been alive.

Normally, Trask avoided playing into the propaganda surrounding the debates involving mutants, he much preferred cold, hard, logical facts to heated, emotionally charged exchanges, but if it helped him achieve his goals, then he’d fan the flames of insecurity for as long as necessary.

He held no unfounded bias towards mutants, he told himself. The ones that obeyed the laws and led normal lives should be allowed to do just that, like every other law abiding citizen. So long as they were monitored and understood that they were not exceptions to the laws governing them. It was the handful of others, vigilante law bringers and corrupt criminals alike, running roughshod over the democracy he was alleged to that needed to be corralled and brought to heel.

Bolivar was a man of few words, and lived by Roosevelt’s credo of “Walk softly; carry a big stick.” Well, he was about to swing a two by four across this country and to hell with anyone that stood in his way. Especially the X-Men.

~X~

Kitty knocked on the door for the hundredth time. “I told you I wasn’t leaving. Now open the door, Jimmy. Your dinner is getting cold.”

“Not hungry,” came the muted, muffled response, again for the hundredth time.

Kitty sighed, rolling her eyes heavenward, asking for patience.

“What’s going on, Kit-Kat?”

She turned towards Peter Rasputin, who looked adorable as ever in his Xavier sweatshirt and jeans. “Trying to get into Jimmy’s room.”

He nodded once, his dark eyes full of understanding. “You sure do have a soft spot for that kid.”

Kitty smiled, the gentle look softening her already delicate features. “Yeah. I guess I do.”

Peter gestured toward the door. “Mind if I give it a shot?”

“Sure.” Kitty said, motioning palm up. “Knock yourself out.”

He gripped her shoulders, setting her aside carefully. She raised a brow at him. He winked. With barely a nudge he shouldered his way into Jimmy’s room, startling both the boy and Kitty.

“I think your dinner is here,” he said mildly as if busting open a door to talk to someone was an everyday, normal occurrence. Which, come to think of it, wasn’t such a far fetched notion considering.

Jimmy’s eyes widened to the size of small saucers. “You broke my door.”

Peter shrugged, pushing the wobbly door. “It’s fixable.” He gave Jimmy a searching look. “It’s all fixable. Nothing stays broken forever.” With a nod and a smile for Kitty the taller X-Man left the room.

Kitty watched him go, admiring his broad shoulders and lean backside. She turned back to Jimmy, her face a little pinker than before. “So, where were we? Oh yes…You need to eat.” She marched purposely into the room.

Jimmy, mouth still agape, shook his head. “You people are so weird.”

Kitty set his tray on his desk, her smile brilliant and welcoming. “Get used to it, kiddo. You’re one of us.”

The hope that ignited into Jimmy’s eyes touched her heart.

She regarded him openly, letting him see that she held no ill will towards him at all. He was still just Jimmy, and she was still just Kitty and their friendship had not changed, nor had his position in the makeshift X family. She told him so.

“But I almost killed Mr. Logan,” he protested.

Kitty made a peeshaw motion with her hands, rolling her eyes. “Like you’re the first X-kid to try that.”

Jimmy looked even more confused.

Kitty laughed gently, patting the bed beside her. “C’mere and I’ll tell you about when Logan first came to this school.”

Jimmy went forward, his expression a mixture of hopefulness and caution. Once he was seated near her Kitty wasted no time, gathering him to her side. She knew how very important human contact could be when a person wanted to flee from themselves, so she didn’t let Jimmy withdraw from her.

With her natural flare for the dramatic Kitty told him of Logan and then Rogue’s encounter, which had also occurred after a nightmare. He listened with avid interest, flashes of relief passing his young face when Kitty told him how both X-Men had survived the incident and had learned from it, and formed a near unbreakable bond because of it.

Outside in the hall Bobby Drake listened to Kitty comfort Jimmy, his heart doing a small flutter flip that he often associated with his teammate. He closed his eyes, dropping his head forward. He had hoped that his feelings for Shadowcat would diminish, but after her bravery on Alcatraz and her constant caring and nurturing of her fellow classmates, he was finding it harder and harder to suppress them.




Later…

Ororo sat up in bed, her heart hammering, a scream lodged in her throat. “Jesus,” she whispered shakily, running her hands over her face and into her hair, pushing the damp mass back.

She pulled her blankets up around her suddenly chilled body. It was the same nightmare as before, a reliving of the day Xavier died, only this time not only had she been too late to save her beloved teacher, she had failed to save Logan as well.

She inhaled a tremulous breath, attempting, without success, to calm the erratic tattoo of her heart. He’s fine, she told herself. It was just a stupid dream. Even as she thought it she was throwing her covers back and reaching for her wrap. Her footsteps were near silent as she padded down the hall, then stairs. The soft illumination provided by the wall lanterns sent her shadow skittering at odd angles.

She paused outside of his closed bedroom door, trying to justify her illogical behavior. When still the niggling of doubt tugged at her mind, urging her to check on him, she opened the door and stepped into the pitch dark of his room.

She paused, waiting for her eyes to adjust. Her heart nearly stopped its dreadful hammering when she saw him peacefully asleep on his bed, but not quite. Her apprehension was not entirely eased by her visual confirmation. Slowly, drawn towards him by a will that was not her own, Ororo hovered bedside. Her fingers twitched with the urge to brush a stray lock of hair from his forehead.

He looked peaceful, vulnerable and…young, she noticed. With his perma-scowl removed and his face relaxed, Logan looked more youthful than she’d ever seen him…and more appealing.

Letting her unreasonable emotions be her guide, Ororo knelt on the ground beside the bed and laid her head over Logan’s beating heart, needing to hear the steady thump. Needing to assure herself on the most basic level that he was alive and well. She closed her eyes, listening to the steady drumming.

Fragmented remains of her nightmare caused her to tense, screams that were not her own tore through the confines of her mind, causing her to bury her face more fully into the thick mat of hair beneath her cheek.

For his part Logan had remained impassive, knowing the very second that Ororo had entered his room. Her scent had stirred him well before he ever heard the faint click of his doorknob turning. He had very nearly called out to her, to alert her of his wakeful state, but something prevented him from doing so. Curiosity, he would later surmise, as to why she was in his room and to what her next actions would be.

However, his impassivity was torn away the moment he felt the press of her skin on his. His fingertips bit into the sheets below him and his breathing hitched. She seemed not to notice, and he made no move to draw attention to himself. The feel of her against him was too good to pass up. He could berate himself later, but for now, he indulged in a bit of selfishness.

It wasn’t until he felt the cool drops of moisture against his chest and scented the saline in the air did he allow himself to fully react. Of their own accord his hands clutched her head, fingers threading through her thick tresses, fisting there. He lifted her tear streaked face to his, his mouth claiming hers with scorching intensity.

No words passed between them. No questions or hasty explanations. No apologies or forgiveness. All that truly needed to be said was being said in the frenzied nature of their kiss. Logan levered her more fully on top of him, not breaking contact, not allowing the space between to be filled with those accursed words.

Ororo clutched his face between her hands. Soft, throaty sounds hummed against his lips, her frantic touch sending fire through him. With a low rumble he flipped her onto her back, looming over her in the darkness, his eyes shrouded by shadows. The back of his hand trailed the line of her jaw, his touch achingly gentle. He shifted his position, lifting his hungry mouth from hers.

She stared up at him, her eyes luminous, like cats eyes. She watched him as he watched her. Her hand moved, her fingers stroking the grain of his stubble. “Logan.” His name. It sounded like a prayer. He had never heard it sound so beautiful before.

With a growl he dropped his head so that their foreheads touched; his breathing sounded harsh in the silence of the room. When he lifted it again there was hard resolve etched on his rugged features and a lingering vulnerability that ate at Ororo’s heart. “If you’re gonna run,” he rasped. “Now would be the time to do it.”
Seven by windrider1


Logan wanted to gut himself. He shouldn’t be giving her a choice, he shouldn’t lay out the option of leaving. He should just take the goods and shut the fuck up. He stared down at the woman in his arms, the silence of his bedroom deafening, waiting for her answer to his question. Every fantasy he had ever entertained about her flashed through his mind in the space of a heartbeat. When yet another heartbeat passed and she still had not voiced her reply he felt a tightness gather in his chest, his mouth suddenly too dry.

There would be no turning her away tonight. He didn’t have the strength or the willpower to try and play noble, but if she chose to go, he’d let her, he told himself. His fingers tightened reflexively in her hair.

He hoped he wasn’t lying.

Ororo couldn’t find her voice. Her brain screamed at her to Run! Run now! While you still can! Her body on the other hand was melting beneath his like warm butter. Seeing as how her vocal cords refused to cooperate, she answered him the only way she could. She pushed her hand through his hair, rounding the back of his head and pulling him down for a searing kiss.

She wasn’t going anywhere.

Logan groaned, some tension leaving his shoulders as he covered her mouth with his own. He prodded plump lips apart with his tongue, stroking teeth, entreating for entry. She responded immediately, allowing him unfettered access, which he took full advantage of. He was a hunter by nature, and he devoured his prey.

Long minutes passed before he pulled back. He leaned in, unable to relinquish his treat completely, nipping her bottom lip, wanting to look at her. Even in the darkness of his room her hair seemed to glow, it’s silver and white strands flared around her face. He brushed his fingers along its length, his gaze contemplative. She had changed much since their first encounter just over two years ago, but one thing had not changed; from the very first time she’d faced him down in the front foyer of the Mansion and he had heard the strength beneath the softness of her voice, he had been hers for the taking.

He never had a chance. He understood that now. There was no reason to keep fighting the attraction, he decided, letting the strands sift between his fingers, so that they came to rest against his knuckles.

A sliver of light from the moon slanted between the slats of his blind, spilling across her face. Her chocolate and caramel skin radiated vitality and warmth even in the cold light. She was, without a doubt, the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on. The only other woman to come close had been Jean.

Logan shoved thoughts of the redhead forcibly aside. She had no place here, in this moment. This was between him and ‘Ro. Whatever came of it or was destroyed because of it, would only be because of them--no one else.

“Just remember,” he whispered gruffly as he tugged at her light wrap. “You started this.” He pulled her closer, kissing her forehead in a nearly platonic manner, giving her one last chance to change her mind. “Tell me what you want.”

Ororo exhaled a sigh of pent up breath. She smiled up at him with that tantalizing smile of hers, one that bespoke of ancient femininity and rivaled the Mona Lisa‘s for its mystery. It was the smile Eve had bestowed Adam. Delilah to Samson. It was a lure, a promise of pleasures unknown and completely irresistible. Nope, he never stood a chance against her.

She kissed his chin, saying the words he needed to hear to waylay any guilt he might have felt in the morning. “I want you.” Her mouth moved lower, finding his rapid pulse. She nipped. He growled.

On that growl Logan gripped her head, tilting it back, kissing her with a sensual ferocity that left her panting and dazed. He shoved blue satin off of her shoulder as he ravaged her mouth, a soft rending sound filling the breathy darkness. “Sorry,” he mumbled against her lips, completely unrepentant.

Ororo didn’t seem to care. She pressed the flat of her palms against his back, holding him as close to her as the blanket/wrapper barricade allowed. Logan shifted, lifting his weight and tugging the twined blankets from around his waist, tossing them haphazardly onto the floor.

He slept naked.

Ororo gasped, feeling the hot, hard length of him jutting against her thigh. She rolled her hips, unconsciously seeking.

Logan dropped his head, trying to tether his reaction. He’d never been so worked up from merely kissing before. Everything about her aroused him; from sight, sound and scent to, above all, taste. He needed to slow down so that he could savor every nuance of this experience, yet at the same time he wanted to tear her clothes off so that he could bury himself inside of her. It was a dichotomy he had never before needed to address.

He opted for the former. Leaning back onto his haunches, Logan watched her face intently as the flat of his hand traveled from the hollow of her neck to the waistband of her smiley face boy shorts.

Watching him watch her was a completely erotic experience. His passion was nearly palpable, making her dizzy. Ororo bit her lip to keep from saying the words lodged in her throat. She wasn’t sure how a man like Logan would take to hearing that he was beautiful. But he was beautiful. His chest was all muscle, swirling dark hair and sun bronzed skin. His features, hardened by desire, were strong, noble, and breathtaking.

She followed him upwards, shrugging out of her wrap. He grasped the bottom of her Lycra cami, the look in his eyes heated. With a quick jerk her pulled the garment over her head, tossing it by way of the blankets. He pulled her into his arms, hot skin pressed flush to hot skin. The sensation was indescribably intense, yet it still wasn’t enough for either of them.

She threaded her fingers through his wild mane, tugging at him to get him to kiss her again. He didn’t need much urging.

The kiss was hot and wet. Consuming. She swore she passed out from the pleasure.

Logan urged her to her knees, sliding her shorts down past the gentle curve of her hips. He wanted to rip the offending material from her almost desperately. His desperation should have concerned him, but he was too far gone to care. He tried concentrating on working the underclothes past her knees but she was making it damn difficult to remember his own frikkin’ name, much less how to work his way around something as complex as cotton and elastic.

Butterfly kisses fluttered against his neck, their erotic effect exponentially enhanced by their innocence. He tilted his head to the side, giving her free reign. It was an act of submission that did not go unnoticed by the cognitive part of his brain, but the acknowledgement was quickly shuffled aside.

He didn’t want to over think anything about this night. It felt good. He let her. End of fucking inner dialogue.

He tried again to deftly slip her clothes off, getting caught under her impossibly appealing backside. He was usually a hell of a lot smoother getting a woman undressed. Nine times out of ten they were naked before they knew what hit them, but this was Ororo. And it was different.

The reasons behind the difference, like all of his rational thoughts, were heaved aside. He didn’t want to ponder the whys of anything. He just wanted to feel, and feel he did. He was on fire, pulsing, throbbing, aching, needing.

“How much,” a kiss, “do you like,” a stroke, “these, uh…” What the hell were they called? Damn he’d gone stupid. “Things,” he finished with a grunt.

Ororo blinked. “Things?”

He jostled the material in his hands.

“Hate them,” she blurted.

He smiled against her lips. She sounded as frantic as he felt.

-Snikt-

One lone claw on each hand slipped beneath the elastic, sharp as a razor’s edge, divesting her of the last remaining obstruction between their straining bodies.

“Sexy,” he whispered, gazing at her unabashedly. His hands reached up, cupping her full breasts. He didn’t know which turned him on more, her quick indrawn breath or the way her toffee colored nipples peaked against his thumbs.

Ororo trembled. His touch was exquisite torture. Her fingertips bit into his shoulders when he dipped his head, the tip of his tongue flicking her sensitive skin. “Oh,” she breathed, curving against him so that he could take a more ample amount of her flesh into the sinful heat of his mouth.

Her open responses drove Logan crazy. His head tilted back, his breathing labored. He knew his control was at the brink. He needed to breathe. To center himself.

“Logan?”

“Just need a sec, darlin’.”

She cupped his jaw, lifting his face. Her eyes glittered into his a moment before she crushed his mouth in a surprising display of dominance. “No.” If he paused then he would think and so would she, and she knew if she let her brain function for even one moment then she would bolt.

Slowing down was not an option.

They fell back onto the bed as one, causing the springs to groan in protest. He cradled her in his arms like she was breakable. The tenderness in his touch stole her breath.

Logan watched her eyes, so reflective of what she was thinking. They were dark brown, rimmed with frost. Like the rest of her they were exotic and unique. Carefully he nudged her thighs apart with his knee. If he saw one spark of uncertainty or fear, he’d stop. He swore he would.

She smiled up at him, tremulous but sure. It was possibly the most awe inspiring sight he’d ever beheld. He braced his weight so he wouldn’t crush her. A sub vocal growl rumbled forth from his throat, a sound of sheer male satisfaction at its most primitive. She was disheveled, naked and thoroughly aroused beneath him. She reached up to pull him down again, but he shook his head.

“Lemme see you.” He trailed the tips of his fingers over her cheek, along her ear, and across her collar bone on an unhurried journey, seeming to find every new hollow he located exceedingly fascinating.

Ororo moved restlessly against his questing digits. He trailed soft touches over her thighs, hips, navel, nearing the apex of her thighs, but never quite touching. She wanted to scream with frustration and wantonness. She literally ached for his touch; a dull throb that took over the whole of her body. When finally, finally, he delved between her legs and stroked her she nearly came off the bed.

She couldn’t remain passive. It wasn’t in her nature. She stroked his face, her thumb pressing over his lower lip. He bit the pad. She stilted her head, her eyes veiled. She slid her palm across his chest, the hair tickling her palm, before journeying down his abdomen. His skin was hot, filmed with sweat, but so enticing to touch. She couldn’t seem to get enough of touching him.

When she moved lower, following the line of hair from his navel his hand shot down, shackling her wrist, halting her. His teeth were bared in a grimace.

“Did I hurt you?” she asked, concerned that maybe in her awe she had let her powers slip and shocked him.

Oh, she’d definitely shocked him, but not how she feared. The muscles in his abdomen flexed in response to her questing fingertips. He swallowed convulsively and growled low in his throat. “No. You didn’t hurt me,” he finally responded.

“I want to touch you,” she whispered.

Logan grit his teeth, preparing himself for the acute pleasure he knew that her touch would bring. He released her wrist and she immediately closed her nimble fingers around his thick erection.

His indrawn breath told her without words how much he liked what she was doing to him. Encouraged by his throaty responses, Ororo let her thumb glide over the head, slicking the velvet soft skin with his own essence. She moved up, then a slow glide down, enamored by the pulse she felt, the thickness, the length. He was definitely…gifted in his endowment. She squeezed.

He grabbed her hand again, jerking it and its companion over her head. His tongue plundered her mouth, robbing her of breath and of coherent thought. She moaned his name, arching her back, pressing her breasts flat against his chest.

He shifted, his cock prodding her damp center.

Ororo curled her legs, lifting her knees. The ball of her foot stroked his calf.

“Tell me what you want,” he demanded, his voice gravel and silk.

“You know.” She cried out.

He shook his head. That answer wasn’t good enough.

“Logan,” she beseeched, lifting her hips.

“Tell me.”

He bent his head, laving one nipple. His teeth scraped the sensitive peak.

“Oh, Jesus.” Her fingers flexed helplessly above her head. “Inside. Now!

Ororo’s passionate cry was his undoing. With a muted curse Logan surged forward, deep. He squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his jaw tight. “Flamin’ hell.” She arched against him, crying out at the invasion but welcoming it wholeheartedly. Her passion more than equaled his. She was just as wild, just as uninhibited, just as raw.

Each hard thrust was met by eager hips and a pleasured moans. She was right there with him when he felt his climax coming. Soon, far too soon for his liking, but building with the force of a tsunami. He released her wrists in order to gather her close, burying his face in the crook of her neck. Each pump of his hips was harder, faster, deeper. His grunts became frantic, harsh, almost like growls.

Her hands clasped his back, sliding on the sweat. Her voice was in his ear, saying his name like he was her savior.

He needed to see her eyes. For some reason he needed to see.

Their gazes locked and held with heavy familiarity. “Let go,” she whispered, holding his face between her hands.

He closed his eyes and let himself go. Freefalling over an invisible ledge.

She rode it with him, her muffled cries echoing his savage roar.

Logan collapsed, rolling to the side. His breathing was still staggered and labored when he asked, “You okay?”

Ororo was also still reeling, aftershocks running along every nerve ending in her body. Did he have any idea what he had just done to her? How amazing that was?

“’Ro?”

Realizing she hadn’t answered she offered a soft, “Yeah, I’m okay.”

Logan nodded once. He kissed her hard on the mouth before getting up from the bed and heading to the bathroom. Once behind his semi closed door he slapped his hand against his forehead, expelling a breath. Fuck.

He splashed water onto his face, trying to clear his head, but no matter how clear it became he couldn’t bring himself to feel a bit of remorse or guilt about what had transpired in his bed.

Ororo felt bereft by Logan’s abrupt departure. She hadn’t expected him to pull her close and cuddle her with romantic words, but his sudden absence made her feel uncomfortably vulnerable and self-conscious. She sat up, searching the floor for her silk wrap. Tonight was driven by lust, nothing more. For her to hope otherwise was complete romanticized foolishness on her part and could only lead to heartache. Best to accept the situation for what it was. No matter what, she told herself, she would not bother with self pity.

She slipped her wrap across her shoulders, standing to tie the sash. She didn’t hear Logan walk back into the room.

He watched her bend and pick up her torn shorts and flimsy camisole. His hands opened and closed at his sides. He wasn’t sure what the hell to say to her, but he knew he didn’t want her to go. He should let her. He should turn around and open the door for her. He should tip his head, give a hearty “thanks for the good time” and call it an evening. There was no point in prolonging the inevitable. Best she leave and give him his space.

“So now you run.”

Ororo turned on him, her eyes frosted over, concealing their true color. “I’m not running from anything--”

“Good.” He draped his blanket over the bed, flopping down onto the mattress. His next words went against everything he had just told himself. “Then get in bed.”

She gave him an incredulous look. Clearly she had misheard him. “What?”

He scooted towards the side of the bed, grabbing her wrist. They engaged in a brief tug-of-war with her arm. He won. She tumbled unceremoniously across his chest. He stretched, pulling her more fully against him. He nuzzled her neck. “How come you smell so good?”

She tried for indifference and failed miserably, her body curling into his, legs entwining. “I bathe.”

“Hnh.” It was more than that. He caught the scent of her cleansers. He could probably even identify soap, shampoo, lotion, conditioner, and perfume by name brand, but none of those smells were the enticing ones. It was her natural fragrance that drew his nose to the crook of her neck for another inhale.

Ororo couldn’t stop touching him. The feel of his hard muscles beneath her fingertips drew out her inner girly-girl. His body was warm and hairy and sexy.

“Better than my fantasy,” he murmured against her skin.

Ororo raised a brow. “You thought about this?”

He shrugged. “I’m male.”

“So I noticed.”

“Did ya now?” His smirk was cocky.

She rolled her eyes.

“What about you?” he asked.

“What about me?”

“Ever fantasize?” He slipped his hand beneath satin to touch her breast.

She shuddered. “No.”

His voice dropped to a rough whisper. “No?” He flicked her nipple. “I can smell a lie, y’know.”

“Yes, all right. Yes.” She confessed on a gasp.

He levered himself up on one elbow, his wolfish smile white in the dark. Her confession pleased him. “Tell me. Tell me the naughty thoughts you had about me.” His teeth captured her earlobe.

She gave him her ‘have you lost your mind look’. “Everyone fantasizes,” she tried to deflect.

“Tell me.”

“Why?”

He swirled his tongue along the back of her ear. “So we can act them out.”

Her eyes widened. Her response was drowned out by her own pleasured moan, his mouth and tongue working their magic.

As he lay her back against his pillows Logan thought to himself that tomorrow would be soon enough for regrets. Tonight was theirs. There was no past, no future, only the here and now of the moment. He could live with that.

Ororo didn’t know if she could.

~X~


“The media hasn’t lost its flare for the dramatic,” Henry said by way of greeting the following morning.

Ororo, clad in a dark blue shirt and black slacks, and perched on one of the large windowsills in the common room gave him a quizzical look.

He handed her the morning paper.

She did not have to look far to gain the answer to her unasked question. The front page headline read: Mutant Defender or Obstructer of Democracy? Has UN Ambassador Dr. Henry McCoy Overstepped His Position? With wary eyes Ororo skimmed the article, her only comment about the less than tasteful read, that referred to mutants in a range that covered ’unfortunate’ and ’misguided’ as well as ‘loathsome’ and her new favorite ‘vigilante’, was, “Oh, look. They put in a nifty little poll.”

Henry took a seat on the couch. “It was only a matter of time before news of my relocation hit the papers, but I had not anticipated it this soon.”

Ororo made a rather unpleasant face. “I have no idea how you stomach politics.”

“Some days, my dearest, Ororo, neither do I.”

Ororo was nearly finished with the article when Logan entered the room. She felt his eyes on her before she looked up. She lifted her gaze slowly, arrested by the dark intensity she found in his.

“Good morning, Logan,” Hank boomed. “It’s good to see you up and about. How are you feeling?”

Logan only had eyes for Ororo. “A bit worn out to tell the truth, Fur-ball.”

Hank nodded. “After the ordeal you’ve been through that is to be expected.”

Logan’s mouth curved in a devilish smile. He just couldn’t resist irking the shit out of her. “And what an ordeal it was.”

Ororo resisted the urge to throw the morning paper at him. She was saved from anymore double entendres by the appearance of one winged Angel in the doorway.

“Hey.” the blond Adonis greeted, lifting his hand.

Ororo smiled warmly. “Good morning, Warren.” After Alcatraz and the reconciliation between his father and himself, Warren had not stayed in the Mansion, wanting to remain in the home he had grown up in. However, that did not mean he was not welcome to visit, attend classes or use the facilities. “You’re early.”

He looked a bit flustered, as he always did faced with Ororo. “I’m sorry. I can wait.”

“No, no. it’s fine,” she assured him, hopping from the sill. “Give me a minute to change and I’ll meet you on the front lawn.”

Over the past few months Ororo had begun training with Warren, teaching him how to ride the currents. Granted, she had the advantage of being able to see the wind patterns around her, but he could feel them.

He was becoming quite adept at sensing the changes, so today she thought she’d throw a little moisture into the equation to step things up a notch.

She handed Henry his newspaper. “Will you be around for the day?”

“I have several meetings to attend, but I shall be back around six o’clock.”

She nodded. “All right. See you this evening.” She kissed his blue cheek. “Logan,” she greeted as she passed the feral.

“’Ro.”

They caught one another’s eye. The smiles were instantaneous…and very telling.

When Ororo had left the room Hank murmured idly, “Looks like you two are working past your differences.”

Logan shot him a look. “Me and ’Ro ain’t got no differences.”

“Good Lord, boy, your grammar is appalling.”

Logan cocked him a warning look. “You call me boy one time too many and you’ll have a severe speech impediment after I cut out your tongue.”

“Violence is always the threat by those without the intellect to solve problems rationally.”

“’People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.’”

Henry raised a surprised brow. “George Orwell.”

Logan shook his head, his brow furrowed. That quote came out of nowhere. Well, not exactly nowhere, it came from the murky recesses of his mind that he could not call upon willingly. The quote felt very much like it was part of a doctrine of sorts, one that he had been very familiar with. He realized Hank was still staring at him. “Probably read it on a fortune cookie.”

“Indeed.” Henry was unconvinced.

Logan didn’t feel like being gawked at. With a flick of two fingers he turned and left the common room.

On the couch Henry tapped his fingers against his leg, running the quote through his head, knowing he had heard it before. Recently. Then he remembered. “Trask.”

A chilling disquiet settled over the blue mutant and he shivered with cold despite his thick layers of fur.

~X~


“I appreciate you taking the time to see me, sir.” Bolivar Trask shook hands with eth aging, but still fit, man in front of him. The small restaurant the two men were meeting at was clean and minimally staffed.

Judge Petrie nodded his head. “I read the fax you sent. Very interesting stuff you’re proposing, Trask.”

“Yes, sir.”

The Judge sipped his Mocha Java. “Everything looks good on paper, but funding--”

“Already taken care of, sir.”

This was an unexpected bonus for the Judge. “Impressive.”

Bolivar had no use for flattery. He needed a judge as powerful as Petrie in his pocket. Warrants, arrests, files. All needed to be taken care of and the fewer people he had to involve the better. “I was sorry to hear about your daughter.”

Petrie’s face hardened. His daughter, Melissa, had recently celebrated her thirteenth birthday. A few weeks after the adolescent’s rather large birthday bash the young girl had started showing discoloration around her face and neck. Lumps forming. Scales. She was a mutant. Horrified by this the girl had killed herself by stepping in front of a train.

She had lived for ten hours. Eight of which the Judge had been bedside. It had not been the train that killed his daughter as far as he was concerned, but the mutant disease that had infected her.

He lowered his eyes, swallowing hard, the loss current--only four weeks past. When he looked up again he found Trask staring at him with quiet intensity. The large black man had always reminded Petrie of a jungle cat. Silent. Patient. Deadly. He shivered.

Trask was a force to be reckoned with and Petrie would much rather be on his side than opposed. He sipped his frothy café once more. “So, Trask. Tell me about these robots of yours…”
Eight by windrider1




Logan winced as a harsh alarm blared in his ear and the red lights of the simulator began to flash. “Flat Spin. Crash Imminent.”

“Yeah, yeah.” He flipped the disable switch and opened the hatch. His mind just wasn’t on running the Blackbird simulator program. Just as it hadn’t been on fixing the boys’ bathroom sink, or on tinkering with the cars. In fact, all his mind seemed capable of thinking about was the previous evening. Every other second it seemed he was sidetracked by a flash of skin in his mind’s eye or a soft moan remembered in his ear.

He recalled all too well the details of last night. His favorite remembered image, and the one that was distracting him now, was of Ororo astride him, her mouth parted and damp from his kisses, her fingernails biting into his chest as she made the most enticing sounds. Her eyes had remained open and locked on his as she came, shuddering and clenching him so tightly that he had followed a fraction of a second later, gripping her hips and bucking up into her warmth.

The smile she had bestowed upon him was full of feminine satisfaction but it was also gentle and tender. It was that smile that kept invading his thoughts, doing uncomfortable things to his pants as well as his gut.

“Shit,” Logan grumped as he hopped to the floor. Last night probably never should have happened. An involvement between him and ‘Ro would only complicate an already complicated relationship, but, he’d be damned if he could find an ounce of regret in himself that it had happened. He’d be an outright liar if he told himself he regretted taking Ororo to his bed, or that he hadn’t wanted to do it for some time. He couldn’t even convince himself that it would never happen again. He would be a liar and a fool to think he could resist their attraction anymore, especially knowing what he knew now. Together they were unbelievable in bed.

His stomach rumbled, pulling him-- thankfully--from his thoughts. He glanced at the overhead clock. Quarter past twelve. The lunch rush was probably in full swing. He opted for a quick shower and change, wanting to get upstairs before all the good grub was gone.

The kitchen was indeed a bustle of activity when he strode through the doors. A three ring circus with Ororo as the ringmaster. She stood in the center of the kitchen, her shoulder length hair pulled back in a tiny nub, at the island, making sandwiches, taking orders and dictating who got what. She chopped tomatoes and celery in a way that Wolfgang Puck would envy, her motions smooth and flawless. She wielded the knife in her hand as she did most everything else, as though it were an extension of her own body.

She flew the Blackbird in the same manner. If he wasn’t so stubborn he could have asked her for some lessons. But Logan hated to admit he needed help with anything.

“No, Kitty. Artie can’t have the tuna. He’s allergic.” Ororo snagged the plate from the younger girl’s hand as she passed, exchanging the tuna for a ham and cheese melt. “There.” As Kitty phased through the wall Ororo called out, “And no eating in the Rec room! It took me two days to get the pizza stains out of the sofa.”

“Excuse me, Ma‘am, would it be possible to get a PB&J with banana?”

Ororo glanced at Sam Guthrie, one of the new students, over her shoulder and nodded. He was a polite youth with blond wavy hair and the promise of extremely good looks. At seventeen years old he was already well into college level academia. Smart, polite and good looking. Sam was going to make the young girls at Xavier’s swoon. Just like another southern charmer with a penchant for peanut butter and bananas.

Ororo chuckled at her own thought. “Sure thing, Elvis. Want that fried?”

He grinned widely, pleased that she seemed willing to cater to his request. “Yes, Ma’am, if it ain’t too much trouble.”

“No, it isn‘t too much trouble.” She bent down, retrieving a small frying pan from the island cupboard. When she stood up she gasped, nearly dropping the pan. Logan was leaning on the opposite side of the island, his mouth slanted in a sardonic line. His hair was still damp from his shower and he smelled of soap.

“Chaos.” He gestured towards the umpteen bodies milling in and out of the kitchen.

Ororo nodded, her smile a tad strained. “A cook would be nice.” She glanced at the carrots still piled on the counter waiting to be sliced into sticks and the grilled cheese waiting to be cooked. “And a few more hands.”

Logan stepped around the counter, rolling up his sleeves. “What can I do?”

Ororo blinked. Logan offering to help? With the kids? She set he knife down and pinched her upper arm.

“Funny.” He immediately recognized her disbelief.

She laughed, a soft throaty sound that made Logan’s stomach tighten. “How are you at grilled cheese?”

“It’ll be edible.”

“Good enough.”

The two of them moved around one another, preparing and serving. Conversation was minimal, but the atmosphere was surprisingly comfortable. Soon all the mouths but their own had been fed. Ororo leaned back against the island, sighing. She wiped her hands on a hand towel, tossing it onto the counter. “Finally.”

She made her way to the refrigerator where she had stored herself a salad the night before. She stood searching, one hand on the door. If one of those kids ate her salad…Oooh, they were in for it.

She nearly jumped out of her skin when Logan leaned over her arm, reaching for the beer he had in the rear. The warmth of his chest against her back was appealing. She barely resisted the urge to lean into him. She tilted to the side, allowing him unfettered access to his Molson.

At one time alcohol was strictly prohibited, but as the months passed Logan had begun leaving a beer or two in the fridge until it became a regular six-pack. The students, despite Ororo’s and Charles’ initial concern never tried to ’raid’ the alcohol in the fridge or in the basement. As soon as people were told whose beer it was no one tried to take it. No one dared.

“Thanks, darlin’.” Logan straightened, beer in hand. His mouth brushed her cheek in an impromptu kiss that surprised both of them.

He turned quickly, popping the cap from his brew. Shit. He took a long draw, swallowing the amber liquid repeatedly, his Adam’s apple bobbing.

Ororo found herself hiding her smile behind the door. When she was relatively certain she was composed she straightened, salad in hand. She turned, a bit put off by finding herself under the scrutiny of Bobby, Peter, Marie and Doug, all of whom were still seated at the round table by the window.

Logan glanced in their direction as well, one eyebrow quirked as if daring them to comment. They immediately returned to their conversation and food.

“Thanks for the help.” With a stride that was slightly hurried, Ororo left the kitchen.

Logan grinned, enjoying her fluster. “Anytime, darlin’. Anytime.”

Marie sent him a look that spoke volumes. She wasn’t happy. He was surprised to find that he didn’t really care. Sure, he loved Marie, loved her like she was his very own family, but her approval or disproval of his women was not something he sought.

He paused on that thought. Was Ororo his woman? Did he want to go there? Did she? She had seemed at ease with him in the kitchen. There was no lingering awkwardness from the night before. Subtle tension, sure, but not discomfort. He shrugged internally. It was what it was. Whatever it was. He wasn’t one to reflect too hard on things best left alone. Instinct was his guide and he’d rely on that where Storm was concerned.

~X~


Hank studied the papers contained within the file that Alicia had handed him with dawning horror. “You’re certain?” he asked her, his normally booming voice whisper soft.

She nodded, her face grim. “The original Kelly files went missing shortly after Trask resigned. I happened to have copies.”

Hank didn’t ask her how she got the copies. Alicia was known for getting her hands on information in a number of ways, many of them illegal and most unpleasant. He admired her ability to do her job so well, and respected her enough not to delve into areas she would rather he didn‘t.

With a calculating eye, Henry scanned several of the ideas Senator Kelly had outlined in his files. Many of them were downright terrifying, but none more so than the mutant internment camps and capture protocols written in the Project Wideawake files. Henry flipped the page, his brows furrowed. “It skips.”

Alicia nodded. “There are six pages that we never acquired. I believe that Senator Kelly and his associate Peter Gyrich had another secure location for their files. I’m sorry, Henry.”

He shook his head, dismissing her apology. “No need to be, my love. You’ve done more than enough. You‘ve given me an idea as to what we‘re up against.”

Alicia shuddered, moving towards Henry, allowing him to see her vulnerability, taking comfort in his strong arms as he set the folders down and gathered her close. “God only knows what Kelly had in those missing files. What he left behind is bad enough. I can’t imagine what he was hiding,” Alicia whispered. After a long pause she asked the question she truly feared the answer to, “Do you think Trask has them?”

Henry kissed the crown of her head. “Yes.”

Alicia closed her eyes. Normally the coolest head in a situation, her fear angered her, yet she was helpless to stop it. Bolivar Trask had trained her. She knew how determined and hard he could be. And how ruthless. If he believed Henry was an obstacle he would do everything in his power to remove him. “I love you,” she whispered.

Henry, surprised by her admission repeated it back. “And I you, Alicia.”

She stepped back. “Which makes what I’m about to say so hard.”

He tensed. “What is it.”

Alicia swallowed the lump forming in her throat and took a breath. “I can’t come to New York with you. Not yet.”

“Alicia--”

“No, Hank.” She shook her head adamantly. “If there is something going down I need to be on top of it, so I can keep you on top of it.”

“It’s just as dangerous for you as it is for me.” He countered.

“Not really.” She reached out, touching his face, stroking the thick fur of his sideburns. “Only a select few know I’m a mutant, Henry. You, on the other hand, stand out like a big, blue sore thumb.”

She had a point. But he wasn’t ready to relent just yet. “Did Bolivar know?”

“Honestly…” she paused, not wanting to worry him. He probably did. The man seemed to know everything, but she wasn‘t sure. “I don’t know.”

“I don’t like this.” Henry stated flatly.

“I know.”

They were both quiet. Alicia spoke first, changing the subject. “Have you told Storm about your soon to be houseguest?”

Hank shook his head. “Not yet. I am not entirely certain as to how to broach the topic.”

“You’ll figure it out.”

“Your faith is comforting. I don‘t suppose you would care to be the one to break the news.”

She laughed. “And risk a lightning bolt to the head. No thanks.”

“I hate to drop too much on her at once. Ororo’s plate is rather full.”

“Are you going to tell her about Trask and the files?”

“In good conscience I cannot keep that information from her.” He sighed, feeling infinitely weary. From the day he had left Xavier’s all those years ago, Henry had been fighting on the political front for mutant rights; facing more than his fair share of hatred and bigotry, but never in his career had he felt as trapped by his station as he did now.

Bolivar, intentionally or not, had backed Henry into a tight little corner. The X-Men, for all intents and purposes, were UN police agents, not the freelance activists they had once been. This limited the scope of what could be allowed by them, at least for the time being. The thought of murder or any other criminal charges brought against the X-Men made Hank justifiably cautious. He needed more concrete knowledge about what Bolivar was up to.

“I am going to ask Trask to meet with me.” Henry said.

“Are you sure that’s wise?” Alicia asked. “You may lose any leverage you have if he knows you are looking into him. Besides, he may not agree to meet with you if he is up to something.”

“I don’t believe that will be the case. Bolivar is a very confident man, bordering on arrogance. He will meet with me if for no other reason than to let me know he does not fear me.”

“I don’t like it.” Alicia moved away from Henry, locking the door. She turned back to him, unbuttoning her blazer.

Henry swallowed as she pulled the pins from her hair, shaking out the dark brown bun coiled at her nape. “What are you doing?” he asked.

She smiled at him. She had a beautiful smile. “You’re an astute man.” She began working on her button up shirt. “Surely you can tell when you are being seduced.”

“Alicia.”

“Hush.” She shrugged, her shirt dropping to the floor. She reached for his hands.

Henry chuckled ruefully. “You are just trying to keep me from debating you.”

She blinked innocently. “Is it working?”

“Hell yes.” Henry crushed her to him.

They made love as if they were on the deck of the Titanic. Frantic, hurried, passionate, and above all with a sense of impending doom.

~X~


Dusk found Ororo watching Logan from the control room turret as he ran himself through yet another Danger Room session. He was, as usual, not in uniform, instead running through the virtual woods in a torn tank and dirt stained jeans. His arms glistened with a sheen of perspiration as he paused, scenting the air, tracking.

He was more at home in the Danger Room’s hostile environment than he seemed to be in the mansion at the best of times. Ororo couldn’t help but question the kind of life he must have had to make violence his comfort.

She wondered if he had ever really known gentleness, tenderness…love.

Absently her hand reached up, her fingertips touching the spot in which he had kissed her in the kitchen. She felt an alarming flutter in her stomach. That small peck did more to her heart than their entire night of passionate sex.

Sex could be dismissed as craving, as lust, as momentary insanity. Affection, on the other hand, especially when given in the broad light of day was not so easily set aside. She cared for Logan a great deal, always had, and made no secret of that. Logan knew she would be there for him whenever he needed her. She was his friend, as he was hers.

That friendship had been cemented after Alcatraz. They had learned to rely on one another. Count on each other. And be vulnerable for one another. She had watched him mourn for Jean and he had forced her to face her anger. She knew that no matter what the future held, as uncertain as it was for all of them, that she and Logan had a bond that was forged through fire, stronger than tempered steel.

She was also certain that their bond would be tested, by events and by each other. She just wasn’t sure what that meant for them in the long run. Teammates, certainly. Friends, assuredly. More…? She didn’t know. And not knowing was the worst part.

“Storm?” Kitty’s voice carried over the intercom.

“Yes, Kitty?”

“You, uh…may want to go see who’s sitting in your office.”

Something in the girl’s tone made Ororo alert. “Who is it?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

Ororo sighed. She had no interviews scheduled today so whoever it was, was an uninvited guest. “On my way.”



Kitty was right. She wouldn’t have believed her.

Ororo stared at the woman standing idly in her office as though she owned the place with a mixture of curiosity and anger. Raven Darkholme, better known to the X-Men as Mystique, stood in front of the bookcase, one red tipped finger tracing the well worn spine of Moby Dick--one of Charles’ favorites. Her short black skirt and lengthy heels accentuated her sculpted legs. She was certainly attractive, as she had been even with her blue skin and blood red hair. It was impossible not to notice Raven, and the woman knew it.

The new arrival turned, sensing she was no longer alone and sent Ororo a chill smile.

“What are you doing here?” Ororo demanded, her hackles up.

Raven’s smile widened, her ruby red lips parting to reveal perfect white teeth. Her eyes, once a golden glow, now a pale blue, sparkled with dark mirth. “I was invited.”

Ororo couldn‘t believe she had heard her right. “Oh, hell no.”

Raven inclined her head, still amused. “You don’t believe me?”

“Get out.”

“So inhospitable. I thought Xavier’s policy was that all mutants were welcome here.”

Ororo stood, holding the door open impatiently, allowing ice to coat her tone, throwing down the words most likely to hurt. “You are no longer a mutant. And even if you were, you would not be welcome here.”

“Ororo?” A familiar baritone called out. Henry strode through the doorway, his gaze on Raven. If he was surprised he didn’t show it. His lack of surprise was verified a moment later. “Mystique. You’re early.”

Ororo tilted her head, her eyes glowing white, a precursor to some rather nasty repercussions if someone didn’t start explaining. “What the hell is going on here, Hank?”

“I had hoped to have a chance to explain the situation to you before Mystique’s arrival,” he began. “She was not supposed to arrive here until the end of the week.”

“Explain what?” Ororo demanded. Thunder rumbled.

“I’m a protected citizen.” Raven’s smile was acid sweet. “It’s your job to keep me safe.”

Ororo’s teeth ground together. “What is she talking about?”

Henry sighed, realizing he wasn’t going to have an opportunity to get Ororo gradually adjusted to the idea. “As a key witness in the federal case against Magneto, Mystique has been granted immunity from prosecution, and also given ‘round-the -clock protection as directed by the UN office of Mutant Affairs.”

Ororo looked ready to punch him in the face. “What?”

“She approached us,” Henry began, regretting that he had not approached Ororo with the news of Mystique’s arrival sooner.

“I don’t care.” Ororo cut in. “She is not staying here.”

He looked sincerely apologetic. “I’m sorry, Ororo, but she must. Her testimony will be too valuable.”

“I don’t believe this.” Thunder cracked, shaking the windows. Ororo took a calming breath. She knew her friend well enough to know that he hadn‘t intentionally deceived her, and that if Mystique was indeed staying at the Mansion, then Henry had his reasons. She didn’t like it, but she would accept the situation--for now.

“You do what you have to do, Hank.” She gave Raven a pointed look. “Just know that I will protect my students from anyone I perceive as a threat to them. By any means necessary.”

Hank nodded once. “Understood.”

Ororo strode forward, facing Raven. “You so much as blink in a manner I don’t like, and I will make you sorry.”

“Touchy little thing, aren’t you?” Raven asked, unconcerned. It was her very nature to push people and she was certainly going to enjoy antagonizing the weather witch. She brushed past Storm and out the door, intentionally buffing shoulders. Her voice carried to them from the hall. “So which room is mine? I do hope it’s somewhere near Wolverine’s…”

Ororo gave Hank an exasperated look. “She’ll be lucky if I don’t clobber her by this evening.”

Hank chuckled. “Your restraint is admirable.”

Ororo crossed her arms over her chest. “We’ll see.”

“Thank you.” He touched her shoulder. “I know what a predicament I am placing you in-”

“Forget it,” she waved her hand. “I trust your judgment, Hank. I don’t trust her.”

“Truth be told, neither do I, however, I do not believe she is still in contact with Magneto.”

Ororo didn’t appear appeased by that. “Mystique has always been dangerous in her own right. What‘s the old adage about leopards and spots...”

“Yes, but the good news is that this leopard can no longer change her spots.”

Ororo sent Hank a look. “That’s what I am afraid of.”
Nine by windrider1

The shower was scorching hot; just the way he liked it. Of course it was designed to be. State of the art technology adjusted the water heat, pressure and even spray width to the shower occupant’s exact preference. Xavier’s was nothing if not on the cutting edge of technology and beyond. Especially the Danger Room. That one definitely went beyond cutting edge, the room actually adapted to the fighter, the holograms becoming more and more difficult to master. Logan had become so engrossed in the latest holographic inclusions that he had lost track of the time. Emerging from the Danger Room he had been surprised to find it well past eleven in the evening.

Logan rolled his head back, enjoying the sting of heat on the tired muscles of his chest and shoulders. He had given his healing factor quite the endurance workout, but one that felt remarkably good. He closed his eyes, letting out a breath of satisfaction. As with any moment he’d had alone with his thoughts that day, they immediately strayed to Ororo.

He wondered, not for the first time, whether or not she thought of him as he was thinking of her. Erotic, naughty, sexy thoughts that made him throb with a longing that couldn’t be named for fear of the consequences.

Had anyone told him three months ago that he would be harboring deep, gut clenching desire for anyone other than Jean Grey he would have laughed in their faces scant seconds before gutting them. He couldn’t imagine wanting anyone the way he had wanted Jean, but Ororo had surprised him. Though in hindsight it really shouldn’t have. The attraction had always been there between them, he couldn‘t deny that. She was drop dead gorgeous and he was male, but more than that initial attraction, he held a wealth of admiration for the school’s Head Mistress.

He admired her beauty, certainly, but it was her intelligence and determination that had earned her his respect. Not that Jean hadn’t been smart, because she was brilliant, and beautiful. The difference between the two women was simple really. He had wanted to save Jean; had wanted to rescue her from toy soldier, boy-scout Summers and a miserable passionless life, and then ultimately from herself. However, he had no such desire to save Ororo, in fact, scary as it was, he thought maybe she had saved him.

If you’re with us, then be with us.

She demanded that he be a better man than he thought himself capable of. She took nothing less than his all. Gave nothing less than hers. She had enough strength to shoulder the burden left behind in the wake of Scott’s and Charles’ deaths as well as bearing witness to the murder of her best friend, under her command.

It was his blades that stopped Jean’s heart, but it was Ororo’s force of will that had placed him there. She knew that. He could see it in her eyes. Ororo had to be, hands down, the strongest person he had ever met. Strong enough maybe to stand by his side…

Jolting him from his thoughts was a smooth hand that wrapped around his middle, stroking his abdomen. For a brief moment he thought his mind had fashioned Ororo out of thin air, but the smell was wrong. He whirled swiftly, slamming the naked dark haired woman behind him against the wall, one hand closed around her throat, the other drawn back, ready to deploy the weapons housed within.

He shook his hair back, glaring at the woman openly leering at him. “Mystique,” he ground out, belatedly recognizing the scent. Which wasn’t all that surprising, considering that her former mutation had caused her scent to shift as well as her appearance. The only time he had ever caught her by scent was when she had tried to disguise herself as Ororo. No one but ‘Ro could smell like summer rain and winter frost at the same time. ‘Ro’s scent was as distinctive as she was.

Blue eyes sparkled with humorless mirth. “Ah, you recognize me.”

“What the fuck are you doin’ here?” His fingers flexed against her jugular.

She placed her hands over his wrist, trying to subtly, and ineffectually, pry him off. “I live here now. Just like you.”

“Bullshit.” he spat.

“What? You’re the only stray allowed to roam in off the streets?” She practically purred at him. “I thought you of all people would be happy to see me.”

He cocked a disbelieving brow. “Happy to see you,” he repeated with a sardonic edge. “Not flamin’ likely.”

She didn’t look insulted. Instead her lips spread wider and her smile was a little too self assured. “We’re the same you and I.” She lifted her leg, caressing his hairy calf with her foot. “Warriors without a war. Two lonely souls, aching.” She licked her lips. “Can’t you feel the ache?” She lulled, her lashes lowered seductively. She curled her leg around his like a clinging vine, pressing herself against him, her voice a husky whisper. “You lost your greatest love. I’ve lost mine. Perhaps we can use one another to help ease the pain. Let me lick your wounds, Wolverine.”

He snarled at her. “I don’t fuckin’ think so.” With a baring of fang he shoved himself away from her and out of the stall. He snapped up his towel from the rack, hooking it around his waist. He shot her a narrow look over his shoulder before stomping from the locker room.

Mystique, gloriously naked, strolled behind him. “Run, run, run as fast as you can,” she whispered with a cruel twist of her mouth.



“Storm!”

Ororo leaned over the front stairwell banister, wincing at the impatient bellow from her teammate. She had just finished room checks and was on her way down to her office. It had been a long day with the end finally in sight and all she really wanted to do was finish up so that she could get to bed. “Logan! Stop shouting, I’m right here. What is it?” she demanded, her head already pounding.

Despite her aggravated state she took a moment to enjoy the way Logan’s muscles flexed beneath the light cotton of his tee shirt. He moved with a prowler’s grace, lithe and sure. He made love the same way, she knew. She mentally shook herself. No time for thoughts like those. Not that they hadn’t been creeping into her mind all day, regardless. She waited patiently for him, one hand resting on the polished rail, hoping she looked as composed as she feigned.

“I was just accosted in the damn shower, that’s what,” he snapped, halfway up the stairs. “What the fuck is Mystique doing here?”

Ororo grimaced, she knew she should have ankle shackled that woman in her room. “Hank has her under protective cust--wait, what do you mean accosted? She attacked you?”

“In a manner,” he replied dryly.

Ororo needed no elaboration. “Here I thought I could avoid smacking her around before this day was out,” she mumbled nodding her head almost to herself.

Logan’s brow went up. That tone sounded a lot like jealousy. He took the remaining steps between them two at a time. “You gonna defend my honor?” he teased, finding his sour mood suddenly lifted.

Her eyes sparked with irritation. “Don’t start with me.”

In less than a full minute, Ororo had managed to ignite him, arousing him in ways that the naked, fully seductive Mystique couldn‘t even begin to compete with.

Voice taking on a timbre that hinted at growl, Logan leaned forward a bit, “But I like starting with you.”

Ororo inclined her head, giving him an appraising look. “Logan, are you flirting with me?”

He was one step directly below her, and given the difference in their heights put them eye to eye. “If you have to ask, then I’m more out of practice than I thought.”

A subtle blush colored Ororo’s cheeks. “Look, Logan, about last night…” she paused, glancing around to make certain no one was within earshot, though she knew most everyone was in their own rooms. “I’m not usually…what I mean is…” Well, shit, this was awkward.

He cocked his head, waiting. When she still didn‘t finish he prompted. “’Ro?”

“I don’t do one night stands.” She blurted, without meeting his eyes.

His lips twitched. He hadn’t figured she was the type to hump and run, but to hear her say it, however hastily she tossed it out there, gave him a growing familiar sense of warmth. “Good. ‘Cuz neither do I.”

She hadn’t been expecting that response, he noted, from her startled expression. “Oh,” she responded for lack of anything better.

“Yeah.” He touched the backs of his fingers to her cheek, watching her eyes flicker warily. They would tell him everything he needed to know. Their depths were so revealing, he’d come to realize. How he had ever thought her cold was beyond him.

They darkened to a deep chocolate. “Logan…”

He had her. “I like to hear you say my name.”

“You do?”

“Yeah.” He brushed his thumb over her lips. “Sexy.”

She fought down the urge to nip the pad of his thumb. Anyone could walk into the foyer and see them. She cleared her throat, trying to maneuver past him. “I, uhm, have some papers to file.”

He caught her and backed her up a step, then another, then another. “They can wait.” He clasped her nape. “I can’t.”

“Lo--” Her protest, albeit a weak one, died a premature death at the swift invasion of his tongue into her mouth. She clutched his shoulders, wrapping her legs about his waist as he lifted her. He marched up the stairs determinedly, never breaking contact with her mouth. He wanted her so bad he thought for sure he’d bust through his jeans. No way was he making it up another floor to his bedroom.

He pressed her back against the wall near one of the window alcoves, hidden mostly in shadow. He drew the drapes shut with a quick jerk, concealing them from any outside prying eyes, unlikely though they may be. “Jesus,” he rasped pulling at his belt buckle. “Gotta have you.”

“We can’t, not here,” she whispered raggedly even as she sucked his lip into her mouth and lifted the bottom of his shirt over his washboard stomach.

“Sure we can.” He countered with a rasp, tangling his fingers in her hair and devouring her mouth. He used his mouth and hands to encourage her. “Everyone’s asleep. We just have to be quiet.”

She gave him an incredulous look but he was too busy tugging his fly open to notice. Ororo gasped the moment his thick erection sprang free. She felt heat pool low in her belly and knew she was lost.

He grinned wolfishly, her scent filling his nostrils. With quick tugs he lowered her slacks to her knees. “Bend over,” he commanded, turning her around and leaning her forward so that her hands rested on the pillows of the reading bench beneath the window. This was probably the only way that Ororo Munroe would take orders from him, he thought with a twist of amusement.

She had a magnificent ass, he couldn‘t help but notice, running the flat of his palm over the rounded curve before giving it a sharp slap.

Ororo shot him a startled look over her shoulder.

He shrugged with his devil may care smile. “Couldn’t help it.”

“Do try,” she whispered sharply.

“Afraid you might like it?” he teased.

She couldn’t prevent her answering smile. “Freak.”

He bent down and bit the reddened skin gently. “Been called worse.” He moved his mouth lower.

Ororo closed her eyes, her body clenching around an unexcelled breath. “Oh,” she cried out as he found her damp heat.

Logan was lost in her. She tasted so good on his tongue. He plunged deep, licking and swirling. He felt her knees give way and he caught her around the waist. He stood and with a sharp snap of his hips he thrust forward, burying himself inside.

“Logan.” Her full moan drove him on.

“You’re so goddamn hot.” He pulled her hips back, each pump from him giving them both exquisite pleasure. “Wet.” He watched his slick cock slide in and out. “Beautiful.”

Ororo grit her teeth, her ragged breaths echoing in her head. The need for silence only seemed to enhance her pleasure until she wanted to scream. When his fingers slipped between their straining bodies to rub her overly sensitive clit she nearly did. “Oh, oh, god, Logan.”

“You like that?”

“Yes.” She whispered harshly, her face scrunched in a grimace.

“How ‘bout this?” He took his finger and swirled it around her anus, slowly sinking in.

“Logan!” Ororo arched back, her startled cry louder than she had wanted, but she was unable to control it.

He grinned. “That’s a yes.” He pressed in and out in time with his thrusts. She quivered. He loved that feeling. “Come for me.”

Ororo moaned helplessly as his cock and finger brought her to completion. She bit her lip so hard she thought she may have drawn blood as her orgasm overtook her. She reared against him, her ass grinding into him as she rode it out.

Logan gasped, her muscles clenching to the point of pain, his eyes shut. He thrust rapidly, his balls slapping her ass as he pushed into her, harder and harder. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.” He chanted his favored four letter word over and over, hating the fact that his own orgasm would soon be unavoidably upon him. He didn’t want to stop.

With a growled litany of swear words he pulled out, turning her around once more.

She looked so enticing, her eyes heavy lidded and hazy with passion, her face flushed and damp, her lips parted and swollen.

He lowered her down to sit on the nook, yanking her pants completely off, spreading her legs wide. He sank to his knees in front of her. With hooded eyes he watched his hand splay her tender flesh. She tried to close her legs, modesty making her feel too open, too vulnerable.

“Don’t,” she whispered.

“Let me,” he encouraged. “You’re so damn beautiful, ‘Ro. Everywhere.” He stroked down, circling her swollen clit with his thumb.

Ororo was captivated by the intense look on Logan’s face. He looked savage, aggressive, yet eerily adoring.

His eyes searched hers as he sunk two fingers deep.

She moaned.

He panted with restraint. “’Ro…”

She nodded, needing no words of explanation, feeling his hunger.

“If I hurt you…”

She trusted him as much here as she did in battle. Perhaps because the two were so similar for them. “You won’t.”

“Spread your legs,” he commanded, leaning back only long enough to remove his shirt.

“Like this?”

Oh, God. “Perfect,” he growled. He pulled her forward, his mouth replacing his fingers. He lapped at her, hungrily licking and swallowing her juices. He rumbled against her swollen flesh, nipping.

“Logan, please.”

He jerked her down onto his lap, surging up as he did so.

Ororo came immediately. Her body convulsed and her mouth opened on a silent scream. Her fingernails bit into his shoulders as she whimpered his name in surrender.

“Christ,” he swore, his movements hard and fast. He lifted and jerked, pushed and pulled, plunged and took. Harder, harder, harder. “Fuck, ‘Ro. Take it, baby. Take it.”

“Logan, I can’t…I can’t…”

“You can.” He pressed her all the way down, filling her. He threw his head back, a guttural sound torn from his very soul.

Ororo arched back, her eyes white as snaps of lightning arced between them.

Logan spasmed, the shock stunning him. He gripped her hips, reflexively spurting deep inside.

Released from the electric current they slumped against one another, winded. Ororo wrapped her arms around his neck, trying to keep from weeping.

Logan stroked her back, her hair, her face. He too was in awe. “Fuck, that was amazin’.”

Ororo gasped, trying to compose herself. It was, she knew, and she knew why. She loved him. Her worst fear had come true. She had given herself completely to him and yet he had held back. She had felt it. She didn’t know what to do now.

Logan lifted her face, capturing her lips in a lingering kiss that tempted her to believe that maybe he could love her too. It was so achingly tender. She didn’t want to let the moment pass.

For his part, Logan didn’t relish the idea of letting her go either, but he needed a moment to clear his head. He couldn’t believe how consumed he had been, taking her in the hallway for Christ’s sake.

Neither of them spoke as they dressed. Forgoing paperwork Ororo followed Logan up the stairs. At his door he pulled her close, kissing her again. He didn’t ask her to stay, however, and she made no move to join him. With a soft “goodnight” Ororo continued down the hall to her private staircase.

Once inside she wandered to her balcony. The fresh air felt good on her fevered skin but it did nothing to soothe her hectic thoughts. Could he love her? Would he? Could she handle it if the answer was no? He had loved Jean so much. Was there room for her?

Ororo stared out across the Great Lawn for a long time, contemplating those questions.


A few hours later…

In his room, Logan lay on his back, staring at his ceiling in the exact same position he had been in since he had flopped into bed. He rubbed his forehead with his hand, cursing. He couldn’t get her out of his head. It was sick, this addiction.

Rationalizing what he was feeling wasn’t really giving him any piece of mind either. So, she was a phenomenal fuck, so what? Look at her. How could she not be? She was perfection. She was fierce and sexy and loyal and…sonuvabitch, he was doing it again. Listing all the things about her that he admired. Maybe he should start cataloguing all the things about her that irritated the shit out of him. Then maybe little Logan would settle down and he could get some fucking sleep.

She was bossy. Demanding even. “Inside. Now!”

Shit. Okay, moving on. She was too uptight. So fucking tight.

Damn it.

“Fuck it,” he swore savagely, swinging his feet over the side of his bed.

Moonlight filtered through gossamer curtains, casting Ororo’s room in a pale glow. He moved silent across the hardwood, watching the deep, even rise and falls of her chest. She looked damn peaceful, he thought, a bit bitterly. While he had lay awake, his thoughts and body in turmoil she had been up here, sleeping like a baby.

He stood over her, his hands clenched at his sides, uncertain as to what exactly he was hoping to accomplish.

“Logan?” Ororo yawned, blinking rapidly, having just gotten to sleep only moments ago.

“It damn well better be,” he growled.

She sat up, running one hand through her hair. “What’s wrong?”

“Can’t sleep.” He pulled back her comforter.

“What are you doing?”

“Coming to bed.”

This was not good, she told herself, already shaking her head no. Her heart was already far too fragile.

His lips sought and found hers, prodding them apart. “Can‘t seem to get enough of you,” he said softly, lightly coaxing. “Say I can stay.”

“Logan, it’s not a good idea,” she whispered.

“Sounds like a great idea to me.”

“That’s because you’re horny.”

He bit her lightly for that bit of snarkiness. “If you don’t want me, tell me to go then.”

Rotten bastard. She maneuvered her mouth away from his, his lips too great a distraction. “You need to go.”

“Hnh.” He licked her pulse point. “That was hardly convincing.”

She sighed. “Logan…”

“Oh, yeah, that is definitely a stay.” He smiled down at her, his eyes mischievous. “You want me. Admit it.”

She scootched back a bit, a hesitant, answering smile on her face. To hell with it. He had come to her, right? Didn’t that count for something? “Don’t get me wrong. You’re entirely adequate as far as sex goes, but I can’t have you hogging my bed--”

Logan gaped at her. Entirely adequate? Little witch! He tugged her back towards him, pinning her hands over her head. “Adequate,” he repeated, baring his teeth in a dangerous fashion.

Ororo laughed, knowing she’d pricked his ego. “Definitely adequate,” she said with overly bright reassurance.

“Woman,” he warned. “I’ll make you beg.”

“Ha!” she challenged foolhardily.

Twenty minutes later Logan had the satisfaction of hearing Ororo whisper and plead for him to take her. Forty five minutes later it was he who was groveling as she teased and tormented him.

The sex was just as passionate as before, only less frantic. They took their time, enjoying each caress, each stroke, every whispered endearment that would never be spoken in the light of day.

He touched her reverently, gently, with infinite tenderness and she returned the gesture, telling him with each touch and kiss how she adored him.

When at long last they found release it was silent, lips melded in a kiss that spoke the words neither was prepared to give.

Sweat slicked and finally sated they lay side by side on her bed for a long time.

It was Logan that broke the silence. He spoke to her ceiling. “Whatever this is between us, ‘Roro… it’s mutual. I want you to know that. I ain’t stringin’ ya on for a piece of ass, and I’d hope you weren’t with me. I don’t got words for it, and I’m not sure I want to give it a name, but I do want you to know that I’m in it with you. Whatever this is.” He rolled to his side, facing her, looking uncharacteristically vulnerable. “That is, if you want me.”

Ororo swallowed the lump in her throat. It wasn’t a declaration of undying love, but it was something. It was a start. “Yes, Logan, I want you,” she whispered, touching his whiskered jaw.

“Good,” he nodded once. Satisfied he pulled her against his shoulder, kissing her forehead. He felt more content than he could remember feeling in a long, long time.

~X~


Bolivar Trask examined the files before him carefully. He had read them before, countless times, and his memory was as pristine as ever, but he wanted to make damn sure he had not missed a thing. If his mission was to be successful then he couldn’t afford to be caught off guard. One mistake could compromise the entire operation.

As it was his factory and training facilities would be up and running in six months, fully staffed and operational inside of a year. Longer than he had wanted, but fast enough to ensure that everything met his specifications without taking years.

He set the files down and picked up one of the loose sheets. It was a roster of local FoH members. FoH, better known to the media as the Friends of Humanity, was a sect of ant mutant activists with military training. Involving them would be risky, a risk was posed when involving any fanatic, but Bolivar needed soldiers. Men to watch the streets, protect the citizens and deliver justice in the interim between now and when Project Wideawake was to launch.

Tomorrow he would be finalizing a deal with a multimedia mogul, allowing him access to a network of satellites that could be used for real time observation and location. After that he was having dinner with Judge Petrie, cultivating a legal plan of attack and counterattack that would help keep him out of the government’s hands and more importantly out of Hank McCoy’s long reach.

Bolivar settled back in his chair, eyes closed. The pieces were all falling together. He smiled.

~X~


“Could you be any more obvious? I see the way you look at her, Bobby, I’m not dumb!”

Bobby cringed, glancing furtively at the small crowd near the foot of the steps in the hallway that had stopped talking in order to look their way. He took Marie by the elbow, leading her to the foyer. “What?” Her outburst caught him completely off guard. Hell, all he had done was say good morning to Kitty and when he’d turned back around Marie had been glaring daggers at him.

“Don’t play stupid.” Marie snapped, hating the way her tongue ran rampant ahead of her brain. She really loathed the traitorous flip of her heart when she looked at Bobby. With his wavy hair and vivid eyes and movie star good looks, Bobby Drake was a heartthrob, plain and simple.

Bobby sighed. “Is this about Kitty?”

She gave him a look. “Well, well, look who finally caught up.”

“All I said was hello,” he said, irritated. He crossed his arms over his chest , asking the question he had wanted to ask for months. “What the heck is your problem with Kitty anyway?”

“You mean aside from the fact that she wants my boyfriend?”

“She doesn’t want me,” he argued.

“Sure, Bobby.” Marie rolled her eyes. “Every time I turn around she’s hovering near you. Always asking to talk. Why do you suppose that is? Hm?” Her eyes narrowed.

“Maybe because we’re friends and she lives here.” Bobby countered. Truth was Kitty rarely spoke to him anymore. She was usually with Jimmy, and more and more lately Peter. Bobby missed her quirky conversation, mischievous teasing and laid back humor. He had been willing to let his and Kitty’s friendship slip in order to make time for Marie, to help her adjust to life without her powers. He had wanted their relationship to strengthen, but all it had done was continue to crumble despite his best efforts.

“Like hell,” Marie stated, her voice rising. Her eyes wavered, tears brimming.

“Whoa.” Logan rounded the corner, his ears perked at Marie’s scathing tone, scenting her sadness and anger. He gave Bobby a dangerous look. “What’s goin’ on, Pop-ice?”

Bobby surprised Logan by straightening and meeting his dark eyes directly. “Having a conversation with my girlfriend, Logan.”

Logan glanced at Marie. “You okay, kiddo?”

She nodded. “Yeah.” She turned away from Bobby. “Can we talk?” she asked Logan.

He met Bobby’s eyes. The younger man nodded, walking away stiffly.

“What’s goin’ on, darlin’?” Logan asked, walking with Marie out the front doors and into the courtyard. It was a beautiful day with a clear sky and a scattering of wispy clouds. He tucked his hands in his pockets, waiting for Marie to tell him what was on her mind.

“I thought it would be different,” she said softly.

He waited, giving her time to speak.

“When I took the cure, I thought…hell, I don’t know. I thought…”

“That it would fix everything.” Logan provided.

She nodded, having her thought finalized. “Yeah. But everything seems worse.”

Logan cocked his head. “By everything you mean Popsicle.”

She chuckled a bit at that. “Yeah.” She paused, looking up at the sky. “He feels like my everything.” She cast him a shadowed look. “You know what that’s like.”

Logan nodded slowly, having known that feeling with Jean.

“I thought that taking the cure was the answer. But now…” she trailed off. “Maybe not.”

“A quick fix usually ain’t the solution,” Logan agreed.

She gave him a sharp look.

“I’m not sayin’ ya shouldn’t have taken the cure,” he clarified. “Just that ya shouldn’t have held out the expectation that it’d fix everything. Real relationships take work,” he added.

After a short pause she asked, “Is that what you’re doing with Storm? Working on a relationship?”

He had been waiting for this question. Knew Marie would be the one to ask it. He also knew she wouldn’t like his answer. “Could be.”

“She doesn’t suit you.”

Logan snorted. “Didn’t ask ya, sweet-pea. Besides, you have your own relationship to be focused on.”

Marie shrugged. “Maybe not. I don’t know how much longer me and Bobby will work. It’s like every day he’s farther and farther away from me.”

“And he’ll only keep drifting the more you push him.” Logan provided. He turned her, grasping her shoulders gently. “Look, kiddo, I ain’t the best guy to get romantic advice from, but I can tell ya that that boy cares about you. If you care about him, then let him know. Leave the negative shit for someone else to shove on him.”

“But Kitty--”

“Is not the real problem.”

Marie sighed in frustration. “And what exactly is the real problem, Dr. Logan?”

“Trust.” Logan stated point blank. “You either trust him or you don’t.”

Marie mulled over what he said. After a time she said, “I trust him.”

“Then that’s all that matters now, ain’t it.”

The pair continued towards the paths that led around the estate, no longer talking, content in one another‘s company.



Inside the Institute Ororo was finishing up her phone conversation with Sean Cassidy. “Thank you for getting back to me,” she said.

“Sorry it took so long, lassie. I was unreachable fer a time. Trekking the Highlands and such.”

Ororo smiled into the receiver. “Sounds enjoyable.”

“Oh, ‘tis, lass. It surely is. Ever been t’ Scotland?”

“No,” Ororo said. “I would love to some day, but as of yet, no.”

“Beautiful country.”

“So I’ve heard.” She flipped open her planner. “So, Mr. Cassidy I will expect you on the twentieth.”

“Yes, and it’s Sean.”

“Very well, Sean. Welcome to the Xavier’s family.”

“Glad t’ be aboard. Theresa has not’in’ but the highest praise fer yer school, same wit‘ Moira.”

The brogue on the other end thickened a bit when he referenced his daughter and Moira, Ororo noted. “Theresa is a delightful student and Moira a dear friend.”

“Be seein’ ye soon, then.” He hung up.

Ororo grinned, circling the date in her planner. She was almost fully staffed with time to spare She couldn’t believe she had pulled that out of her rear-end.

“What has you so radiantly cheerful?”

Ororo glanced up, her grin widening. “Sean Cassidy just confirmed.”

“Excellent,” Hank McCoy nodded his approval striding into her office.

“With him on board, and Logan taking Scott’s Mechanics class, all I need now is an Ethics Professor and--”

“Consider the position filled,” Hank interjected.

“Really? You can manage that?” She didn’t want Hank to burn himself out.

“Absolutely. It will be my relaxing time.”

That was true. Henry loved to teach and even more loved to debate and Ethics was a fine subject for him.

“Great.” Ororo hugged him. “You’re the best.”

“Ahem.” Logan leaned in the doorway, one brow cocked, a snarl curling his lips.

Henry growled right back.

Ororo rolled her eyes. Testosterone Showdown could have been a game show at the Institute.

“Intrusive bugger, isn’t he?” Henry semi joked, gesturing towards Logan.

Ororo grinned. “At times.”

“You do know how to make a guy feel welcome.” Logan winked at her.

Ororo shook her head, her mood light. “Sean Cassidy confirmed,” she told Logan.

He lifted one shoulder in an indifferent motion. “’Kay.”

“Ororo is pleased because now the faculty roster is complete.”

Logan pushed away from the doorway, entering the room. His eyes twinkled. “Is it now? You found someone to take Scott’s class?”

Ororo slanted him a look. “You.”

He gave her a dangerous smile. “We had a deal on that, remember.”

Ororo’s smile made Logan’s seem tame. “As I recall the conditions were for me to take you down, knock you on your ass... Get you on your back, so to speak. I believe I’ve fulfilled the requirement.”

Henry’s bushy brows touched his hairline. Oh, my stars and garters.

Logan swallowed hard. Damn her. He ignored Henry’s inquisitive look. “In combat,” he clarified.

“Ah,” Ororo murmured. “Well, then. Shall we?” She made a sweeping gesture towards the door.

“What?” Logan looked at her. “Now?”

“No time like the present,” she acknowledged.

Logan watched her saunter past him and into the hall.

Henry’s deep chuckled drew an irritated look from Logan. “Something to say, Fur-Ball?”

Henry attempted to compose himself, not quite managing to rid himself of the grin altogether. He tugged at the bottom of his suit jacket and straightened his tie. He gave Logan a courtly nod. “Good luck.”

Logan had a feeling he was going to need it.
Ten by windrider1



She wasn’t messing around, Logan thought, narrowly dodging the heel end of Ororo’s black boot. They’d been sparring for more than an hour, with neither one willing to give so much as an inch. With reflexes beyond even the most advanced predator Logan reached out to snag her ankle…and missed. He blinked twice, watching with a mixture of fascination and irritation as Ororo once more back flipped just out of reach of him.

When she finally stopped a few feet away from him, she stayed crouched, watching him, a smile on her flushed face. She was enjoying herself and it showed. That smile alone made him want to lay down and give her the victory, but it simply wasn’t his nature. Logan fought to win. Period. With a feral grin of his own he stalked towards her. “Fancy gymnastics are pretty, but useless in a real combat situation,” he informed her.

“Funny,” she responded mildly, her grin widening, “seems to be working just fine with you.”

He snorted. He gave a roll of his broad shoulders, his chest muscles flexing beneath his ribbed tank. “I’m just gettin’ started, darlin’.”

Ororo flapped her fingers in a yapping imitation. “Talk is cheap, Logan.”

“Keep pushin’,” he warned with a flash of incisors.

“Some days, you have no sense of humor. Kurt was much more fun to train with.”

Logan’s gray eyes narrowed dangerously, glinting silver. “Is that who taught you all the tumbling crap?”

She arched her back, flipping end over end in a slow walk over. “He was the Incredible Nightcrawler after all.”

“Hnh.” With a quickness that belied his three hundred pound frame Logan leapt at her.

Instinctively Ororo wanted to call for her winds to keep him aloft, but the agreement between them specifically stated that she was to take him down without powers. Relying on some unnamed, ingrained instinct that Logan would never willingly hurt her, she stayed her ground, allowing him to collide with her.

“Shit.” Logan swore as he plowed Ororo into the Danger Room floor. They lay sprawled across the tile, both a bit winded from the collision. “Way to evade, Storm,” he grumbled, lifting his head.

She shrugged. “So, I was a little slow.”

He chuffed. One thing he knew for certain was that Ororo Munroe was never slow. She was quick, decisive and dangerous. A born strategist her thinking in the Danger Room was rivaled by only one person, and Scott was long dead.

Logan knew that she could have easily moved out of his way. Why she didn’t was deliberate, he was sure. His thoughts were distracted by the play of her fingers in his sideburns. He let out a breath, leaning his cheek into her palm. He rumbled low in his throat, pressing closer.

She raised one eyebrow, noting his immediate erection.

He gave her an unapologetic look. “Can’t help it.”

Taking his face between her hands, she pulled him closer. “That’s ok.” Her lips teased his. “It’s the same for me.”

His rumble turned into a full on growl. He lowered his head to claim her mouth and caught her breathless gasp in his, enjoying the way she was so open in her responses to him.

Ororo lifted one sculpted leg, swinging it over Logan’s hips. She rocked beneath him, her movements pure invitation.

“’Ro…” he groaned, nuzzling her throat, inhaling her pleasant scent.

She tilted her head, relishing the tickle of his whiskers contrasting with the silk of his lips. With a sinuous flex of muscle she rolled them over, straddling him. She gazed down at him, her heart thundering at the passion she saw reflected in his molten eyes. Fingertips bit into her hips through the leather of her uniform as she undulated, riding him through their clothing. “Logan…?”

“Yeah, baby?” he rasped.

She licked his bottom lip, moving in a slow up and down that made him grunt. “I win.” With very deliberate movements she leaned back, winked at him, then rose to her feet.

Logan stared at her like she had grown three heads. “You cheated.”

“All’s fair in love and war.” She danced away from him, her laughter taunting. “I expect your class syllabus by weeks end.”

Logan rolled to his feet, moving up behind her, halting her with one thick arm around her waist. He drew her back against him, bending forward, his breath stirring the small hairs beside her ear. “Just so long as I’m the only opponent you use that little trick on.”

Ororo’s entire body shuddered at the possessive tone in his voice. She pushed back against him, her body pliant. “Why? Would you be jealous?”

He turned her in his arms, his face hard, his gaze intense. “I’d kill.”

He meant it, she realized, startled. “Logan--”

“It’s who I am, ‘Ro.” He caressed her cheek, but his expression remained unchanged. “I can’t help who I am.”

“I know,” she assured him, and she did know. There was something undeniably primal and raw about Logan, that no amount of civilization was ever going to erase. It was one of his most appealing traits, as far as she was concerned. Her fingers massaged the nape of his neck, feeling damp tendrils. “We could use a shower,” she changed the subject.

Logan lowered his head to kiss her again. He didn’t think he’d ever get enough of kissing her. “Your room,” he suggested hungrily.

“It’s the middle of the day. The students--”

He silenced her, capturing her words on his tongue. “You head up first. I’ll be a few minutes.”

She hesitated.

Logan rotated his hips, pressing against her. “Or I could say fuck it and strip you naked right now. Matter of fact, that sounds damn good.”

“My room,” she relented, body throbbing. “Ten minutes.”

“Five.” He growled, kissing her again. When they broke apart Ororo wasn’t sure she’d refuse him if he offered to tear her clothes off right then. She made her way hastily from the room, running her hands over her hair to smooth it, hoping she appeared semi composed.




In the foyer, arms crossed over her chest, Raven Darkholme’s blue eyes followed the well muscled form of Logan as he disappeared from sight up the stairs, mere minutes after Storm. Raven could practically smell the sex on them. So, that was the Wolverine’s new fetish? No longer into fiery redheads, it seemed the feral had taken a liking to a chillier type of woman.

“It’s not polite to stare.”

Raven turned. “Says who?”

Marie looked the dark haired woman up and down, noting her meticulously put together appearance. Tailored white blouse and short black skirt, coupled with a sleek hairdo and five inch heels. She could have stepped straight out of a magazine. Raven was beyond beautiful, but the malice in her eyes cautioned Marie that looks were deceiving. “Says everyone.”

“Everyone says a lot of things they know nothing about, now don’t they.”

“He ain’t ever gonna want you.” Marie stated point blank.

Raven’s blood red lips parted in a sickly sweet smile. “I guess the same could be said for you as well. No more buddy-buddy with Wolverine, hm? It looks like Storm has him all to herself now.”

It wasn’t a bulls eye easy to miss, yet no one else in the mansion had seemed to get to the heart of her irritability quite so accurately. “It ain’t like that.”

“No?” Raven moved around the younger woman, her tone mocking. “Don’t tell me you never entertained the idea that you would be the one to get through to him. To tame the Wolverine. I can see it on your face.”

“I don’t want Logan like that,” Marie denied. And that was true. Once upon a time she had a crush on the hero that had saved her, but that felt like a lifetime ago. Now, it wasn’t about that. The simple truth was, at one point she had felt that Logan was the only person that truly understood her, and now, with her and Bobby on the brink of ending and Logan with Storm, she felt more alone than ever.

“Of course not.”

“You just stay away from Logan,” Marie warned.

“Or you’ll what? Look at me hard. You’re powerless now, remember?”

Marie stepped forward, her fist clenching. “I bet your nose breaks now.”

“Marie?” Bobby strode down the hall, regarding Raven warily. “Everything ok?”

Marie took a step towards him. “Yeah, everything’s fine. Just setting a few things straight.”

Raven laughed throatily, moving away from them. “If you say so.”

Marie watched her go, a sick feeling of dread in the pit of her stomach.



~X~


Two days after the Danger Room session and impromptu shower, Logan sat cross legged in the garden behind the Xavier estate, brooding. At least that was what everyone else assumed, in truth he was merely reflecting. Something he did on occasion, a practice that held roots he could not place.

Leaning back so that his face was tilted towards the sun he closed his eyes, allowing his mind to drift to where it always seemed to lately: Ororo. Just her name sent waves of warmth coursing through him. An ache that was almost unbearable accompanied that warmth. It was indescribable, but he knew it was now a fundamental part of who he was. She was now a part of him. The how and why of it seemed not to matter.

Logan had never really understood love. Never really known it in his life. He had never thought to find it until he had come across Jeannie. She had been the light in his turbulent darkness, something he could hold onto as he tried to find himself. She had changed his life by allowing him to dream of possibilities where before had been bleak existence. And though he had loved her, deeply, it wasn’t the same kind of emotion he felt for Ororo.

Whether or not he loved Ororo was a matter of opinion, he supposed, refusing to label it. He wanted her--always it seemed-- but more than that he wanted to simply be with her. She made him laugh. She teased him. Made him feel welcome in her life. Made him feel whole. It was a rare thing for someone to gaze at him without fear. Even Jeannie, who he would never have harmed unless called for, had always held a part of herself back when regarding him. Like a person does when in a yard of pit bulls.

Not that he could really blame any of them. He had given more than good reason for a number of people to fear him, including those that lived at Xavier’s, and truth be told, he’d probably give them a dozen more reasons to be afraid of him.

“Contemplating the meaning of life?”

Logan opened one eye a bit startled. He had not sensed the other man’s approach. “You’re a sneaky bastard, Fur-Ball.”

Hank laughed, a deep sound that echoed. “True enough. Mind some company?”

Logan shrugged indifferently. “Suit yourself.”

“Very well.” Taking a squatted seat to Logan’s left, Hank plucked a long blade of grass. He twirled it between his thumb and index finger idly.

Logan wasn’t fooled. He opened both eyes, sitting straighter. “What’s on your mind?”

“Ororo.”

Well, that was blunt.

“What about her?” Logan asked, immediately defensive.

“I have known Ororo for many years. She is family to me. I will not see her hurt.”

“Is this some sorta big brother talk? ‘Cuz ‘Ro’s a grown woman, McCoy. She has her own mind.”

Hank smiled, his teeth gleaming bright against his indigo fur. Before answering he adjusted his massive frame to a more comfortable position. “Her mind is astute as ever. It is her heart I am concerned with.”

“And you think I’m gonna break it?”

“The thought has crossed my mind.” Hank met Logan’s eyes squarely. “She is not like Jean.”

Logan flinched. “I’ve never compared the two.”

“No?”

Logan thought of his recent musings and swore under his breath. “Not in the way you mean.”

“Regardless, the fact remains that Ororo will never be Jean.”

“I don’t need her to be.” Logan growled, growing irritated. “She’s fine the way she is.”

Hank tucked the blade of grass between his lips. “I could not agree more. Ororo is a fine woman, indeed. I hate to see her cast in someone‘s shadow, even if that shadow is our beloved Jean.”

Now Logan was truly getting pissed. Pointing his index finger at Henry, he leaned forward. “She’s in no one’s fuckin’ shadow, Fur-Ball! ‘Ro fuckin’ eclipses everyone else. Period. We clear?”

Hank grinned, un-intimidated. “You are not telling me anything I did not already know. I just was not sure you were aware of it.”

Logan snarled. “I’m fuckin’ aware.”

Hank simply chuckled.





Ororo Munroe was beginning to hate Raven Darkholme.

Before her animosity had been based on distrust and past experience, but now, the woman was wearing her last nerve.

“I bet he is an animal in the bedroom. All grunts and growls.” Raven was murmuring, sipping her water as though it were a $100 a glass flute of champagne. “Bet he can go for hours too.”

Doing her level best to ignore the brunette, Ororo bent down to remove her cinnamon rolls from the oven. She waved a hand over them and puff of cool air caressed the steaming rolls.

“I suppose I’ll find out soon enough,” Raven continued despite Ororo’s seeming uninterest. “I can hardly wait.”

The pan clattered to the stove top, Ororo barely containing her angry commentary. Instead she bit her cheek and took a deep breath through he nose, counting to twenty.

“You can tell me,” Raven added in a confidential whisper. “One woman to another.”

Ororo whirled, her lips compressed to prevent a series of cuss words that would make Logan flush. “Find someplace else to be,” she ground out tearing off her oven mitt and tossing it onto the counter top.

“Am I bothering you?” Raven inquired innocently.

“Go away.”

“Touchy subject?” Raven took another sip of her drink. “Tell me, Storm, does he ever call out for the redhead? You know that was who got him the hottest. He couldn’t keep his hands off of me when I looked like her.”

Ororo had heard quite enough. Without so much as a blink to indicate her movement she lashed out, palm flat, dead center in Raven’s chest, knocking her off her stool. At once Raven was back on her feet with a balletic grace that had nothing to do with her lost mutant gift.

“Bitch.” She snapped, swinging her fist towards Ororo.

Ororo evaded, barely, feeling a light breeze whistle past her ear. She tossed Raven a glowing glare. “You really wanna play rough with me?” she demanded.

Raven paused, taking stock of her odds against Storm. In hand to hand alone, she was relatively sure she could wipe the floor with the weather wielder, but against her powers? Not a chance. “Don’t you ever touch me again,” Raven hissed. “I am under UN protection, and so help me I will report this to McCoy’s superiors.”

Ororo didn’t give an inch. “Go ahead. let’s see where they stick you.”

Raven glared.

Ororo smiled.

“Everything all right in here?” Logan strode through the back door, his eyes taking in Ororo’s stance, immediately sensing the tension in the air.

She barely spared him a glance. “Yeah. Just peachy.” With that she waved her hand, blowing open the swinging door with a thwap and left the room.

Logan turned on Raven.

She gave him a secretive smile. “Sensitive little creature, isn’t she?”

“What’d you do?” he demanded.

“I did nothing.” Raven countered, picking up her spilled glass. “She attacked me.”

“Hnh.”

“Hand me a towel would you?” Raven tugged the neckline of her shirt down, revealing ample cleavage. “I’m all wet.”

Logan didn’t miss the double entendre. He tossed her the hand towel from the sink before walking through the swinging door in hopes to catch up with Ororo and find out what had happened in the kitchen.





In her office Ororo sank down intro her plush leather chair, rubbing her temples. Greta, now she had a pounding headache. A sharp rap on the door announced Logan’s arrival scant seconds before he entered the room uninvited.

“What the hell happened back there?” he wanted to know.

Ororo didn’t lift her head, continuing to rub her temples. “Nothing.”

“Don’t give me that. You knocked her on her ass. I wanna know why.”

“Maybe I needed a Home Ec. instructor.”

Logan smirked at that. “Uh-huh.” He walked around the mahogany desk, coming to stand directly behind her chair.

Ororo tensed momentarily when she felt his hands on her shoulders, then let out a sigh of bliss as his thick fingers began to work the knots she had there. “Mmmm.”

Logan enjoyed that sound. “So tell me, darlin’. What really happened.”

Ororo leaned forward to give him better access. “Lost my temper,” she muttered.

“Why?”

“Do we really have to talk about this?”

Logan shrugged. He supposed not. He wasn’t really the type to pry, just so long as Ororo was alright, then he’d let it go. He squeezed her shoulders, before moving away from her.

Ororo opened her eyes, muting her disgruntlement. Logan tossed her a devilish grin over his shoulder, locking her door. “What are you doing?” she asked, already breathless.

He turned back towards her, removing his shirt and kicking of his boots. “I can’t give you a proper massage with all these clothes interfering.” He drew her out of her chair, tugging her white cotton top over her head. “Skin on skin is so much better.” His pants dropped next, along with his boxers.

He buried his face in her neck. “You always smell so damn good.” He kissed her throat, pushing her slacks down over her hips.

Ororo relaxed beneath his wandering mouth and sure hands. She traced her fingertips over his weathered features, lingering over the crook in his nose and the stubborn line of his jaw.

With a grunt Logan lifted her onto the edge of her desk. “You’re so damn sexy.” His fingers caressed the slick heat between her thighs. He didn’t want to wait, wanted to hear her moan his name in that throaty way she did when he took her. He stepped between her legs, his eyes glittering with raw possessiveness. With her name on his lips he thrust forward, burying himself deep.

“Logan!”

God, just like that, he thought, his heart clenching. He began to move, every thrust a declaration to the emotion he refused to name. She surrounded him, her hands on his shoulders, legs around his hips, mouth on his neck, her scent mixing with his. She gripped him with her inner muscles, pulling him deeper and deeper, all the while staring up at him with those dark chocolate eyes, rimmed iridescent blue. He could drown in those depths, he thought.

He shifted slightly, putting himself at an angle to rub in all the right places. He pistoned forward, making her cry out his name in an ache of longing that had tears pricking his eyes. He watched her face as he traced her body’s contours with his hands, as he moved, as he said her name. She gave herself up to him with a soft cry and a boom of thunder that melded with his harsh yell. He emptied himself into her, pouring everything he was into her, body, heart and soul.

Ororo trembled, feeling the difference in their lovemaking this time. She didn’t know what to make of it. When he didn’t release her, she whispered, “Logan?”

He lifted his head from her breast, his eyes shadowed. “Again,” he growled.


~X~


Bolivar Trask was a patient man.

Victory often times required a near infinite amount of patience. However, seeing the beginnings of his dream coming to life made him all too eager for its completion. He watched as mechanical arms moved, whirred and welded. Soon, he thought, nearly rubbing his hands in anticipation. Soon.

A vibration from his front pocket tore him away from his internal thoughts. “Trask,” he answered. “You’re sure?” He listened. “Excellent. Keep me posted.” He hung up. If everything went according to plan, no one would stand in his way. No one.

In less than a year he would see the fruits of his labor and the eradication of vigilante mutant groups. He would have a force of warriors ready to stand guard. He would have his Sentinels.
Eleven by windrider1



“The object of this exercise is very simple.” Storm’s voice rang out in the hallway with unmistakable authority. Dark brown eyes gazed at her young team, making certain to look each one in the eye, letting them know nonverbally that she meant business, that this was serious and they had better take it seriously.

Storm stood just outside the Danger Room doors, overhead lights casting a silver/blue sheen over her and her crew. Each dressed in their uniforms, Storm was preparing Kitty, Colossus, Bobby to go in. The three teens had proven themselves time and again since Alcatraz, and had been officially named X-Men months ago, and as such, they, unlike the other students at Xavier’s, never really got a break from training.

“Once inside you will have a single objective.” Storm entered her five-digit security code, opening the polished silver doors. She glanced at her team over her shoulder, smiling internally at their solemn, yet eager expressions. “Any questions?”

“Yeah. What the heck is our objective?” Kitty finally asked, rolling her eyes. Cloak and dagger never really suited her, she liked things straight forward and to the point.

Storm motioned them forward through the doors into the holographic environment. The scene behind the doors was unassuming at first glance; a dim city street with flickering lamps, five story buildings, a quick-stop with a gas station, a laundry mat and several pedestrians milling about. “Find and detain Wolverine.”

Bobby groaned. “Why can’t we just face an insurmountable army on quicksand?”

Kitty punched him lightly in the arm. “Quit being such a baby.” Despite her bravado, she looked just as nervous.

“All right, team.” Storm spread her arms, a small funnel of wind forming beneath her feet. “You have all the time you need. Remember your training and you’ll be fine.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Bobby‘s look was incredulous. “You’re not helping us?”

“Not this time. I’ll be observing. Good luck.” She lifted herself into the air, disappearing over the ledge of one of the taller brick buildings.

“What’d we do to you?” Bobby called after her.

“Okay, guys,” Kitty said, snapping her fingers to get their attention. “Logan isn’t going to make this easy on us. I suggest we stick together and don’t separate for anything.”

“I think we should split up,” Bobby countered. “Cover more ground.”

“What? And have Wolverine pick us off one by one? No way.”

“He can’t get all of us at the same time if we separate. Together we’re a bigger target.” Bobby looked at Peter for support. “Right, man?”

Peter shrugged his massive shoulders. “I’m with Katya on this.”

“Of course you are.” Kitty beamed. “That’s two to one, Popsicle.”

Bobby was less than thrilled with Kitty’s superior look and use of his loathed nickname. If she wasn’t so damn cute she would be nearly unlikable.

Across the street, concealed by the shadows of an intersection, Logan watched the trio huddle together, his eyes narrowed into slits. He sniffed the air, and smiled at a scent he immediately recognized. He lifted his head catching a flash of white on the fire escape of a nearby building. She may not be leading her team, but she wasn’t exactly about to throw them to the wolves, so to speak.

Logan turned back to the others, noting, with a fair amount of pride, the younger X-Men begin moving along the street, in the opposite direction, guarding one another’s backs and checking concealed locations, just as they had been trained to.

With a confident smirk he stepped under the street lamp, striding into the open as unconcerned as could be. He bent down, tied his boots tighter, stretched and yawned. A walk in the park for him, that’s what this exercise was.

Above them all Storm watched Logan strut into the open and rolled her eyes heavenward, asking for patience. Always had to play cowboy, she thought with mild irritation. Someday his reckless attitude would likely get him into severe trouble, but for now, she supposed he had every right to be arrogant. What was that expression he used all the time? He was the best at what he did and what he did wasn’t pretty…or something like that. Well, she supposed that depended on what he was doing.

Adjusting her position to keep tabs on Logan and her team, she set aside her wayward thinking and began following Logan’s path along the rooftops. He was closing in on the others, still strolling, but she knew his brain was forming a multitude of attacks, counterattacks and strategies.

Storm pulled out her binoculars to get a better look and noticed Peter’s skin ripple, steel replacing flesh. They were not as unaware as they would have Logan believe. With a smooth twist Colossus picked up Kitty, throwing her hard and fast in Logan’s direction. The maneuver was rather brilliant, Storm thought, considering that Kitty was nearly invulnerable in her phased state, the only problem was she had to stop herself and to do that she would be tangible and all Logan needed was an opportunity and he could take her out of the equation.

“Keep coming, kid,” Logan grinned, unsheathing. A moment later he grimaced, feeling his hands going numb. Bobby Drake, fully in Iceman form, came from his left, sending a stream of ice towards him. Kitty, still ghostlike, shot through Logan, reaching out one hand to grab hold. Logan evaded easily, moving out of her line, knowing she would be forced to come at him again, her initial strike a miss.

Kitty swore softly, landing several feet off target. She should have calculated Logan sidestepping her, but she had assumed he would face her like he did everything else. Head on and stubborn.

Logan chuckled at the string of curse words coming from behind him. Kitty had a temper, that was for sure. He smashed his fists into the ground, effectively removing the layer of ice coating his skin. He crouched down low as the three circled him and grinned at his three would-be captors.

~X~



“Are you sure this is the right approach to be taking?” Alicia Vargas’s asked.

Henry moved the phone to a better position against his ear as he searched his closet for his red tie. “I see no other alternative,” he stated flatly. “Best to take the bull by the horns, so to speak.”

Alicia’s sigh traveled the miles between them over the phone line. “Yes, I know that is how you operate, Henry, but Trask--”

“Is a formidable man, I know, Alicia. Believe me when I say that these are not the circumstances I had hoped for, but never-the-less, they are what they are. I can‘t spend my entire career being afraid to address those that pose a threat. To do that, to show that kind of cowardice, goes against everything I stand for.”

“I know,” she said quietly. “Just…be careful, ok?”

Henry was touched by the concern in her voice. “Always, my love.” He looked at his watch. “I have to go now.”

“I love you, Hank.”

He hung up, his chest tight. He would have to get her to Xavier’s soon. He didn’t like the separation. He straightened to his full, impressive height, adjusting his suit jacket. Time to face the bull, he thought grimly.

~X~



The exercise was going to hell, Storm thought, watching her team scatter. Logan was having way too much fun handing them their collective asses. Using the radios they all had in their ears, she voiced instruction to the younger mutants.

“Stay in formation. Wait for him to make a move. Counter and plan,” she coached. “Stay together.”

Logan sliced down a street lamp, dropping it dead center of the trio. They scattered.

Damn it, she thought with admiration and irritation. Clever bastard.

Kitty, from her crouch behind a small Pontiac, cursed for the hundredth time. “We are so royally fu--” Her words were cut off by a hand around her neck and a yank to her feet.

“Kitty!” Bobby foolishly ran towards them, just as Logan had known he would. Kitty could easily phase out of his grip, but Bobby hadn’t thought of that, only reacted to his teammate in severe danger.

With a growl, Logan moved to intercept.

~X~




Hank McCoy had never been intimidated by anyone or anything in his life. He had not flinched as a child when his father had beat him relentlessly and had not given up his dream of becoming a doctor even later in life when his mutancy made it impossible for him to continue in public school; however, standing behind his desk in a stare down with Bolivar Trask was definitely one of his more uncomfortable experiences.

Both men, broad shouldered and larger than most football players stood on opposite sides of Henry’s polished desk, neither willing to sit and be, for one moment, on a lower level than the other.

“You called this meeting, McCoy,” Trask broke the silence with his usual frankness. “What is it you want?”

Henry adjusted his spectacles absently, a habit he had when about to engage in a serious debate. “I believe you to be an shrewd man, Trask. Certainly not one to be confused about the reasons behind my inviting you here.”

A small flicker of what could have been annoyance touched Bolivar’s dark eyes. “It is my thinking that you intend to try and influence me the same way you influence policy. Through twisted logic and manipulation to suit your agenda.”

Hank sighed inwardly. This was not the foot he had hoped to start out on. Trask was already borderline antagonistic, making no attempt at the appearance of truly wanting to debate anything. Like his hard features, it seemed his opinions were already set in stone.

Deciding that once more it would be up to him to bend, Henry sank into his custom fit leather chair, indicating with a welcome hand gesture for the other man to follow suit. Trask remained standing. Henry continued regardless, “With all due respect, I do not believe I have ever manipulated policy to suit any agenda, as I do not have an agenda.”

Trask’s mouth twisted sardonically. “Don’t you?”

“No,” Henry stated matter-of-factly. “I do not. But I believe you do.”

Bolivar actually looked momentarily startled when Henry tossed the files Alicia had given him onto the desk.

“Look familiar?” Hank asked, his tone idle; his posture tense.

Bolivar didn’t bother to open the manila folder. He straightened his tie, seeming almost indifferent to the entire situation. “Suspicion and speculation, McCoy? These are the reasons I flew to New York? I don’t have time for your innuendos. If you have something to say, I suggest you stop wasting my time and say it.”

Hank just barely restrained a rumbling growl. He cleared his throat before continuing. “Very well. I believe, with certainty, that you are endeavoring to continue Senator Kelly’s misguided attempt to control all mutants.”

“I don’t believe it is anyone’s right to control all mutants,” Bolivar corrected, not bothering to confirm or deny Henry‘s statement. “Only those that pose a threat to the general populace.”

“And just who decides what constitutes a threat? You? What qualifies you to make that determination?”

Trask, for a brief moment, let his mask of indifference slip, anger crossing his features. “I swore an oath to defend this country and it’s Constitution, and by God, I’ll do just that.” He reached one battle scarred hand into his blazer, pulling out a small diskette and tossing it atop the unopened folders. “If you are so interested in what constitutes a threat by my standards, take a look at that.” He lifted his long coat from the rack beside the door. Turning back towards Henry, he pointed at the diskette. “That is the threat you house under this very roof, and that is what I will protect the law abiding citizens of this country from.” He opened the door, his face hard as granite. “Stay out of my way, McCoy, if you know what’s good for you.”

Hank flinched as the door slammed, knocking his degree from the wall. “Well,” he muttered under his breath. “That went smoothly.” He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, removing his glasses and setting them on his desk. There was no getting around it, things were looking grim, he would have to tell Ororo what they were up against. He reached over the folder, fingering the diskette that Trask had left behind. Undeniably curious, Hank opened his closed laptop and slid the disk into the drive.

Fifteen minutes later he let out a shaky breath, feeling nauseas. “Dear God in Heaven.” He shot to his feet, moving swiftly into the heart of the Mansion. He needed to find Ororo.

~X~




Logan straddled Colossus, three adamantium claws extended mere inches from the Russian’s face. The team had done a remarkably good job of getting Logan cornered, however, they forgot one cardinal rule of nature-- a cornered animal was often the most dangerous.

Kitty and Bobby were effectively neutralized as threats first, and by Danger Room rules, despite being able to continue, they were forced to sit out and watch Wolverine and Colossus battle it out. The fight was a slugfest that had nearly gone Peter’s way, but he made the mistake of miscalculating Logan’s agility and had ended up on his back, Logan astride him.

A crack of thunder signaled the end of the exercise.

“Good job, everyone,” Storm said with genuine pride.

“Are you kidding?” Peter asked, allowing Logan to help him to his feet.

“We got our butts kicked,” Kitty pointed out.

“As expected.” Ororo landed next to them.

Logan dusted off his jeans. “Ya didn’t think you’d actually get me, did you?”

“Well,” Kitty mumbled. “We might have.”

“You done good, kiddo,” Logan assured her. “All of you.” He looped his arm around her shoulder companionably.

Kitty beamed. “Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“I’m starving,” Peter commented just as his stomach made a boisterous rumble.

“Can we order in, Storm?” Bobby pleaded. “Pleeeeease.”

“Chinese sounds good,” Kitty added with a batting of her eyelashes. “We did work up an appetite.”

“I suppose you’ve earned it,” Ororo agreed after feigning contemplation.

Bobby whooped, hugging her. “You’re still the best!”

Laughing Ororo shooed them towards the showers. She watched them go, her smile full of affection. Studying her face Logan wondered if she realized the emotions she radiated. She glanced at him, her eyes sparkling. “What?”

“You’re beautiful.” He stated simply, honestly.

She opened her mouth to say something, but Hank’s baritone boom came from the elevator. “Storm!”

“Henry.” Immediately Ororo knew something was very wrong with her friend. She rushed towards him. “What is it?”

Henry’s eyes flickered briefly over Logan and there was no mistaking the subtle tension that went through him. “I need to speak with you.”

Ororo’s brow creased in a worried frown. “Alright. Let me change and we’ll be in your office.”

Henry shook his head. “Privately.”

Logan took the hint. “Catch ya later, Storm.” He stalked towards the showers. He was irritated for some unknown reason at being left out of the loop. He rarely participated in the scholastic or academic end of the school and just as rare was his involvement in team decisions. He did his own thing most of the time and couldn’t give a shit what the others did, but he felt distinctly put out by Hank’s obvious not wanting of him around for whatever he wanted to discuss with ‘Ro.

~X~





Upstairs in Henry’s designated UN office Ororo took a seat on the small couch near the fireplace. She waited patiently as Henry poured himself a drink, and declined his offer of one for herself. “Something has you very upset, Hank, What is it?”

Hank swallowed his glass of Scotch in one throw back. He welcomed the burn of the liquid down his throat. “I met with Bolivar Trask today.”

“Ok, Hank. You have my attention.” Ororo sat forward, her eyes taking on a hard edge. She had never been a fan of Trask’s and after recent events even less so. She knew from her initial dinner with Henry weeks ago that Trask was a problem, but from Henry’s expression Trask had moved from ’problem’ category to ’threat’. She had rarely seen her friend so flustered. “What did he want?”

“Not much of anything. I invited him here in hopes to mend fences.”

“And it didn’t go well?”

“That, my dear, is an understatement.”

“So, what happened?”

Henry took the seat beside her, reaching for her hand. Whatever he had to tell her wasn’t good, she knew with great certainty.

“It’s Logan.”

Ororo tensed, a ring of blue appearing around the dark chocolate of her eyes. “What about Logan?”

Henry took a breath, continuing gently. “I know you’ve come to care for him a great deal--”

“What about Logan,” she interrupted.

Reluctantly Hank met her eyes. “He’s dangerous, Ororo. Far more dangerous than I think Charles realized.”

“Hank, I know you and Logan sometimes rub each other the wrong way, but where is this all coming from?”

“How much did Charles speak of Logan’s past?” He evaded subtly.

“Hardly at all and rarely to anyone other than Logan. Is that what this is about? His past?” Ororo relaxed a bit. “We all know he has a past, but that’s just it--his past.”

Henry took a long minute before speaking again. “How long do you think that past will stay buried?”

“Henry, it isn’t like you to talk around in circles, well, at least not with me. Just spit it out.” She prompted.

“You said yourself a leopard doesn’t change it’s spots.”

Ororo‘s own words regarding Mystique, she knew. But Logan wasn‘t like Raven, she was sure of it. She squeezed Henry‘s fingers reassuringly. “Whatever Trask said needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because I refuse to take his word--”

“He didn’t say anything, Ororo. It was what he showed me.”

She tensed again. “Something from Logan’s past?”

“Yes. A video.”

Ororo stood up. “Do you still have this video?”

“Yes. Wait, Ororo, where are you going?”

“To get Logan.” She turned at the door, her eyes mostly blue now. “This is his past; his life. He has a right to see it.”

Hank stood as well, shaking his head. His eyes held a wealth of sympathy. “I don’t believe that his seeing it will be of any benefit to him.”

Ororo spun on her heel, her eyes snapping. “How can you say that? He has a right to know about his past. Even Charles knew that.”

Henry chose his words carefully. “And if that knowledge could trigger a violent reaction that puts the students here at risk?”

That gave Ororo pause. She regarded him carefully, gauging his expressions. “What aren’t you telling me?”

“I have never before seen the likes of what was on that disk, and God willing, I never will again.” Henry appeared visibly shaken.

“Hank?”

“I can’t in good conscience not tell you my concerns. You are ultimately the one to make the decision as school Head Mistress.”

Ororo blinked, slightly confused. “What decision?”

“Whether Wolverine stays or not.”

“Of course he stays.”

“Ororo, you have not seen the footage.”

“That doesn’t matter. This is Logan’s home. I refuse to turn him away. Now or ever. He is welcome as long as he chooses to stay.”

“You trust him so completely?”

“Of course.”

Henry closed his eyes. He hated to break her heart, but knew she needed to see what he saw. “Ororo, you may want to sit down.”

“I am not watching it.”

“Ororo--”

“No,” she held up her hand. “Whatever that disk holds on it is for Logan, not me.”

Henry grimaced. Damn her and her stubbornness. “If you insist he see it, I must warn you that his reaction could be--volatile.”

Ororo nodded solemnly. “Understood.” She held out her hand, waiting.

She wasn‘t about to relent. “Do you want me to come with you?” Henry finally asked, sliding the small diskette onto her palm.

“No.”

“Ororo?”

She paused.

“Don’t think me too harsh. I simply want the students here to remain safe.”

She smiled at him, full of warmth and understanding. “Henry, I know that.”

His next words caused Ororo more fear than their entire conversation before hand. He took her face between his big palms, holding her eyes. “He’ll need someone to lean on after he watches that.”

~X~




“Logan?” Ororo hesitated just outside of his room. The door was ajar, and she could hear him moving around inside, but still she waited for him to answer.

“Hey.” He opened the door farther, toweling his thick hair. His button down shirt was partially undone, revealing a damp mat of hair on his chest. “You and Furball squared away?”

Ororo bit her lower lip, not quite sure how to proceed. “More or less,” she murmured quietly. “Can I come in?”

Logan backed up a step, sensing her anxiety. “Sure, ‘Ro.” He quick stepped across the floor to his bed, picking up his discarded towel, clearing a spot for her. She glanced at the newly designated seat, but chose not to sit, instead pacing the hardwood.

After a few moments Logan grabbed her arm, gently halting her. “What is it, darlin’?”

“Do you remember Bolivar Trask?” she asked, stepping away to continue pacing.

“Yeah. Big guy, looks like he’s gone a round or two in his day. Never met him personally, but I remember him in Cockrum’s office from time to time.”

“Well, he was here today.” She moved to stand beside his dresser, her fingertips playing over the brass handles. “He gave Henry something.”

Logan leaned against the dresser next to her, his eyes intent on her averted features. “Am I supposed to play twenty questions to figure this out, or are you gonna spill it sometime soon?”

Ororo held up her hand, a silver diskette snugly secured between her index and middle finger. “Henry says this has to do with you.” She faced him, her eyes speaking volumes as they always did. Concern, tenderness, a subtle fear. Not of him he knew, but for him.

“What is it?”

“I’m not sure. I haven’t seen it. Henry says it’s something from your past.”

Logan wasn’t sure how to take that. He had given up any chance of his past after Chuck’s death and now Ororo stood, offering him a glimpse of it. He tried for nonchalance. “Well, put it on,” he said, gesturing towards his flat screen.

“You want me to go?” she asked, opening the disk tray.

“Why?” He shrugged, his forced smile not reaching his eyes.

Ororo stepped back as the screen flickered to life, standing beside Logan. She glanced at his averted features, but he was focused intently on the screen, the tick in his jaw betraying his pseudo calm.

Scrolling data that meant nothing to either of them was what first appeared. Ororo caught several statistics that could have been basic stats, height, weight, blood type. The next series of figures was completely foreign to her. Then at the bottom, flashing in neon green were the words “Weapon X: Codename Wolverine”.

Logan shifted subtly, his hands moving together. He absently rubbed the ridges between his knuckles, his eyes glued to the television.

A winter scene filtered on after the data. The footage was old, grainy, black and white. It was a cabin, somewhere in the woods. A lone figure stood in the snow, chopping wood. The camera zoomed in and Ororo recognized Logan. He looked…younger. Her eyes flickered towards from the television image to her companion, but quickly back to the screen.

A voice spoke, just off camera. “Mr. Logan?”

The Logan onscreen stopped chopping wood, wiping sweat from his brow.

“Yeah. Who wants to know?”

“Mr. James Logan?”

“Who are you?” The onscreen Logan rolled his shoulders in way Ororo recognized all too well, poising to strike.

The voice never answered, instead rifles fired.

Ororo clasped her hand over her mouth, her eyes luminous, as she watched television Logan being thrown back with the force of each shot, blood spraying the pristine white surrounding him.

Helpless as a sodden dishrag, the onscreen Logan tried to drag his battered form away from the approaching men. They reached him and despite his bloodied state, he lashed out, only to be pummeled ruthlessly by booted feet.

The voice spoke once more. “Subject captured.”

The screen flickered again and a dozen physicians and specialists and scientists crowded a phosphorous green liquid filled tank labeled Weapon X. Logan floated in the center of that tank, long tubes protruding from his naked body. They doctors were all murmuring and clasping each other on the back approvingly.

Ororo felt like she was going to be ill.

In the tank, Logan began to thrash.

“Impossible,” one of the doctors said. “He has been injected with enough sedatives to down a herd of elephants.”

“Obviously they aren’t working.” Another voice, harder and more commanding answered.

In his bedroom, Logan whispered, “Stryker.”

On the television the scientists were scrambling. “500 ccs of Thorazine, now!”

“That’s going to mess up his brain--”

“Do it!”

“Shocks administered through electrical pulses on Subject’s body will subdue him enough to administer the drug.”

“I don’t want a rundown,” Stryker’s voice came again. “I want it done!”

Inside the tank, Logan jerked and screamed, his hands balled into fists, and long bone claws erupted, blood swirling black around him.

“Well, well, well, will you look at that,” Stryker whispered, sick awe in his voice. “Our boy just became priceless.”

There was a lapse in video and when the feed came back it was obvious a great deal of time had passed. Logan was laying in a different tank, one that was also sealed shut, appearing peacefully asleep.

“Why isn’t he responding?”

“No idea.”

“Come on, Wolverine, wakey, wakey.”

One of the scientists moved towards the tank. “Maybe he can’t breathe in there.” He leaned over the glass.

“No! Step back!”

Too late.

Logan’s eyes snapped open and his fist shot out, breaking the glass, pulling the scientist into the tank. Intestines poured from the man’s gutted stomach.

Logan erupted from the liquid, slashing wildly. Necks were gashed and arms severed.

Alarms blared, lights flashed.

Screams, so many screams.

Logan raced through the room, killing each and every person in it without pause.

Panic erupted and people ran, only to be chased down, newly laced adamantium claws slicing through skin and bone like a hot knife through butter.

The camera switched, and the security footage followed Logan through the building. No one he came across was spared. Didn’t matter their age, sex, or station.

Ororo felt tears prick her eyes, watching as a woman folding laundry was stabbed through her back, blood bubbling from her lips, and a kid, no older than Kitty in the kitchen fall beneath Logan’s claws. They screamed for mercy and he gave them none.

Person after person, he killed them all brutally. It didn’t matter if they were simply kitchen workers or the scientists that hurt him, janitors or doctors. All fell before him, He was ruthless and kept going until he was covered in blood, no piece of flesh visible through the crimson sheen.

The last room he came across was labeled Day Care and children could be heard crying behind the closed door. Children of the men and women that he had just slain.

Onscreen Logan put his hand on the door, smearing a bloody hand print.

Ororo bit her lip. Please, no, no, no…

He turned away.

The footage ceased.

The two of them stood in silence. Ororo wanted to say something, but had nothing to offer. Her emotions felt raw, exposed, she could only imagine what Logan felt like.

Logan, for his part, stood staring at the black screen, his breathing heavy. He didn’t move, didn’t blink, just stood staring.

Ororo moved forward, shutting off the television. She turned back to him, her voice tight. “Logan…” She truly didn’t know what to say.

He didn’t look at her.

Slowly she moved towards the door, prepared to give him his privacy to deal with what they had witnessed.

“’Ro…wait.”

She stopped.

His voice was rough, low, strained. “Stay with me.”

She turned his light off. Without a word she approached him, wrapping her arms around him.

At her touch Logan shuddered, his breath catching.

“I’m here, Logan.” She whispered. “It’s ok.”

“What am I?” he asked raggedly into her hair.

She pulled him closer.

They sank to the floor.

The night passed with neither one saying a word.
Twelve by windrider1



“No!”

Six blades of lethal adamantium shot forth, spraying droplets of blood across polished hardwood.

“Logan!” Ororo shot straight up, her back crying out in protest, cramped from her awkward position slumped on the floor. She and Logan had succumbed to sleep just before dawn.

Logan turned on her, a snarl curling his upper lip. He growled viciously, his gleaming white teeth bared against the haunted shadows of his face. “Monster,” he rumbled and she knew he was referring not to her but about himself, still in the throes of whatever nightmare he was having.

Slowly, so not to startle him, she moved closer, her hands reaching for him, ignoring the extended claws. She moved her fingertips along his shoulders, up to his face where she gripped each side firmly, gently forcing him to look at her. “It’s alright, Logan. You‘re at the Mansion,” she whispered.

Reality began its slow filtration through the remnants of his nightmare. He retracted instantly, searching her frantically for any sign of injury. “Are you hurt?” he demanded, his voice raspy. “Did I hurt you?”

“I’m fine,” she assured him.

He swallowed hard, nodding, accepting her answer.

Ororo watched his eyes, seeing the defensive wall forming. He turned away from her. “Do you want to talk about it?” she asked softly, knowing he didn‘t, but having nothing besides an ear to offer him.

“No.” Absolutely no, he didn’t want to talk about the bloody visages in his mind. Didn’t want her to look at him with the loathing he felt for himself, or worse, pity. He shook her hands from his shoulders, standing. “You should probably go.”

Ororo glanced at the clock on his nightstand. “It’s early yet. I can stay.”

Logan shifted so that he was looking down at her upturned face. She was regarding him openly, but neither fear nor loathing marred her exquisite features She had this incredible ability to remain unflappable even in the face of the most horrific circumstances. It was certainly helping her now.

Fresh beads of sweat broke out across his forehead and he shuddered. “No.” He refused to meet her eyes. “Go.”

Ororo stood, her own eyes rimmed with arctic blue. Determinedly she moved around him, forcing him to look at her. She touched her fingertips to his stubborn chin when he still refused. Very deliberately she lifted her lips to his, kissing him softly on the mouth. “Stop trying to push me away.”

A sharp pain twisted in his gut and he pressed his forehead to hers his arms circling her waist even as his brain told him to force her away. “You saw what I did.”

“Yes.”

“I killed those people.”

“Yes.”

“What if I--”

“You won‘t.”

“You don’t know that.”

“I do.”

He wanted to shake her. “No, Storm, you don’t.” He tried to pull away from her, but she restrained him gently.

“Yes, I do.” She touched his face with one hand, lightly dancing her fingertips along his jaw.

His jaw hardened, his breath rasping out of him. He wanted so badly to believe her. She sounded so sure of herself--of him. His upper lip curled slightly back, revealing flashes of white. “I don‘t belong here,” he said, his voice thick.

“If not here, with us, then where?” she asked.

“Alone.”

“The lone wolf?”

He shrugged. “It’s what’s best.”

“You know, the expression lone wolf makes no sense. Wolves, by their very nature are not solitary creatures. They seek packs. A lone wolf spends his entire life wandering, looking to be accepted into a pack,” she held his eyes. “Here’s yours.”

She really was something else, he determined. Not even Chuck had seen through him like she did. Logan framed her face with his hands, his gray eyes molten silver in the dim light. “What if your wrong?” he whispered. He didn’t give her a chance to answer, lowering his head to hers. He kissed the corner of her mouth, flicking his tongue against her lips.

Ororo sighed at the velvet roughness of his tongue. His mouth moved over her neck, nipping her throbbing pulse, nuzzling her below her ear, rumbling low sounds. Logan slid his hands up under her shirt, his thumbs skimming along the underside of her breasts. He backed her up slowly, following her down onto his bed. She smiled up at him.

He growled low in his throat, tugging her shirt over her head, tossing it to the floor. Carmel muscles rippled as she tugged his from his shoulders, following suit. She was so strong and yet so utterly feminine, he thought, enjoying the way her full breasts bounced.

She sensed his need for comfort on a primal level, pressing closer, wrapping her arms around his waist, resting her head on his broad shoulder. He moved against her, letting her feel his desire, his hunger, his need for her. “You make me so damn hard.”

She sighed in pleasure. Logan reared back, snapping the button and shoving the denim off. He gripped her securely removing the rest of her clothes quickly. He hovered over her, a tick working in his jaw. He growled something inaudible, yanking her legs apart.

Ororo’s breath caught, realizing that something was happening to them, something far beyond her control or his.

He was everywhere, his body hard and demanding. His eyes were near feral as he grabbed her waist, dragging her to him, bending over her to feast on her breasts. She tangled her fingers in his rich hair, holding him to her, each flick of his raspy tongue sending stabs of pleasure through her.

He covered her body with his own, her moist heat enticing him. He moved away from her only slightly, long enough to raise a questioning brow, then surged forward in one powerful stroke when she nodded, urging him on. He gasped as he thrust, his cock filling her, making himself whole.

Ororo cried out with the pleasure of it, clutching his shoulders. “Logan!”

“Aw, fuck, ‘Ro.” His voice was a haunted growl, low and deep. “You shoulda let me go.”

She silenced him with a kiss, her lips mashed to his. “I can’t,” she said, not bothering to explain her words.

The roaring need of his body engulfed him and he took her with aggression. He was insatiable, taking her harder and faster. It wasn’t enough, he would never get enough of her and that thought terrified him nearly as much as the video had. He plunged deeper, his low grunts and rumbles rasping in her ear. “Fuck, baby, fuck. So damn tight. So wet.”

Ororo placed her hands over her head, palms braced against the wall as he thrust in and out of her, forcefully moving the mattress, banging the headboard in a savage tattoo. He rested his forehead on her shoulder, his body driving into hers, his huffs of domination increasing in volume and frequency. He gripped her hips, his strong fingers nearly bruising her, holding her steady as the pleasure mounted in them.

Ororo arched under him, her nails scoring his back. “Logan! Oh my God!”

“Oh, God, ‘Ro.” He slammed into her. “So tight.” In his head a mantra began to play with each thrust. My. Ororo. My. Ororo. My.

Lightning flashed outside, thunder shaking the windows. He watched her through hooded eyes and was nearly undone by how sexy she was. Her kiss-swollen mouth was parted, her eyes were closed, long lashes fanning her cheeks.

“Look at me.” he commanded.

Ororo complied, gasping at the feral glow in his eyes.

He pinned her hands above her head, devouring her mouth. His tongue was hot and wet, stroking across her teeth, swallowing her cries. Her wet walls tightened, tightened, tightened. “Fuck me…” he growled rolling her so that she straddled him. “Fuck me,” he repeated, hips bucking upwards.

He could feel the ripples beginning in her body at his demanding words. She tossed her head back, her body arched tight as a bow. She moved on him, up and down, faster, harder, deeper. Ororo opened her mouth, silently screaming his name. Her inner walls tightening around him as she found release, pulling him with her. They exploded together in a series of cries, a moment he knew he would never forget.

Logan pulled her close, shudders wracking his sweat slicked frame.

Ororo couldn’t speak, rendered mute by his hard possession. She wrapped herself around him like a vine, not wanting to let go.

As if reading her mind his dark voice whispered, “Don’t let go.”

“I won’t. I promise.”

Logan closed his eyes. Let me deserve her, he mentally whispered. “Storm.” Fingers trailed her hair, cupping her cheek, tilting her head so that she had to look him in the face. They lay that way for a long minute, uncertainty warring between them.

“I think I love you,” she whispered breaking the silence.

Logan closed his eyes, fighting back the words in return. “Don’t,” he told her. “It’s better if you don’t.”

Ororo shrugged. “I don’t think I have much of a choice.”

“You do have a choice,” he countered, his next words a complete contrast to him asking her to not let go. “Walk away.”

Ororo wasn’t fooled. “Fine. Tell me that’s what you want, Logan. Look me in the eyes and tell me you don’t want me. That you don’t have some feeling for me in return. Tell me that I’m wrong. Go on, tell me.”

“’Ro…”

She refused to so much as blink. “Say it, Logan,” she whispered harshly. “Tell me you don’t love me.”

He couldn’t he realized. He couldn’t say the words. Even though they meant she would be free of him, he couldn’t tell her he didn’t love her. “’Ro…damn you.”

She smiled gently, tenderness shimmering in her chocolate eyes. She shifted, crossing her arms across his chest. “Scared me too.”

His mouth twisted bitterly. “I can fuckin’ imagine.” He gathered her to him, his arms tightening around her waist.

Ororo adjusted her weight, meeting him more than half way. His tongue swept into her mouth in a kiss that was achingly tender. She moaned softly as the kisses deepened, becoming aggressive as he fed on her lips, over and over. She pressed her aching breasts into the hard heat of his chest, her nipples stiffened, protruding in invitation.

“I want you again.” He bit her lip, sucked it into his mouth before meshing their mouths once more. He trailed moist kisses along the graceful curve of her neck, over her collar bone, eliciting a soft gasp, and down across the swell of her breasts.

Ororo’s fingers clenched in his chest hair, her head falling back as she delivered herself up like a willing sacrifice to his sexual appetite. “I want you too.”

Logan rolled her beneath him and tangled his fingers in her snowy white hair. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

She knew he wasn‘t talking about the physical. “I know.”

His stomach clenched tight, like he was about to take a fist to the gut. She could do that to him so damn easily. One touch, one whisper could wipe away his control and leave him aching-- aching-- for her in ways that had nothing to do with sex. He buried his face in the hollow of her neck. “Ororo…I…” He couldn’t find the right words, so he let his body speak for him.

This time he took her slowly, drawing out each kiss, each touch like the had forever. As the passion subsided and drowsiness once more found the duo, Ororo thought she heard him whisper the words she longed for.

~X~


“She loves you, you know.”

Logan looked up from the Jeep towards the open garage. He tossed his duffle in the back seat, shutting the door. “McCoy.”

Hank strolled into the garage, his large bare blue feet silent on the concrete. “If you leave now, you will most assuredly break her heart.”

Logan shoved his half smoked cigar into his mouth, eyes glittering in the early morning light. “I’m no good for her.”

Hank shrugged. “Probably not, but there is an old expression that remains doggedly true, despite your sense of nobility.”

“Oh yeah, what’s that?” Logan pulled the keys from his pocket.

“The heart wants, what it wants.”

Logan gave the other man a hard look. “We both know my leavin’ is for the best.”

Hank didn’t argue the point, simply asked. “And what do I tell Ororo when she wakes?”

Logan closed his eyes, his fist clenching on top of the Jeep. “Nothin’. I left her a note.”

“Ah, a note. I’m certain that will assuage any pain your depature leaves her with.”

Logan swore. “What the fuck do you want me to do? Huh? Come on, Furball, give me the fuckin’ answer!”

Hank’s teeth snapped together and an audible growl could be heard from his chest. “I want you to be a man! I want you to give Ororo the same devotion you gave Jean! I want you to prove me and everyone else wrong!”

The two men faced each other, panting and teeth showing. “But you won’t, will you? You will proceed to do what serves you best.”

Logan snorted, his throat tight. “You think I’m doin’ this for me? You think I wanna leave her? I don’t! I lo--I don’t.”

Hank gave a hefty sigh, running his hand through his dark blue hair. “If you leave now, Logan, you will never know if you are the man you think you are, or the man that Ororo sees.”

Logan wiped his palm down his face. “What do I do?”

“What is your heart telling you to do?”

Logan chuckled without humor. “It’s telling me to run back upstairs, grab ‘Ro, and never let her go.”

“Well then, you have your answer.”

“You make it sound so fuckin’ simple.”

“Oh no, my friend, love is anything but simple, but at the very least, it is worth holding onto.” With that the larger man left Logan alone in the garage.

~X~


Ororo blinked several times, the first thing she noticed was that she was alone in the bed. She pressed her hand to Logan’s pillow, feeling her chest constrict by how cold it was. He had been gone for awhile. She sat up slowly, clutching the sheet to her chest. She felt a sense of loss and vulnerability akin to the feeling she had losing her friends so many months ago. She swallowed the lump in her throat, determined not to cry.

She looked around the room for her discarded clothes, noticing them stacked neatly on the chair beside Logan’s dresser. How thoughtful, she thought with a trace of bitterness. She draped her feet over the side of the bed, her toes touching the floor. A strangled sound escaped her and she covered her mouth with her hand, holding back the sounds of her tears.

The bedroom door swung inward and Logan stood in the doorway. He dropped his duffle near the dresser, slamming the door with his heel. He strode towards her, pain and apology in his dark eyes. “I’m sorry,” he whispered raggedly, dropping to his knees in front of her. His big hands cradled her face. “So sorry.” His lips touched hers, tasting the salt of her tears.

“I thought you--”

“I almost did.” He pulled her closer. “I couldn’t.”

Ororo clutched his jacket. “If you feel guilty…”

“I don’t.” His lips sought hers, softly testing. “I couldn’t leave you.”

Ororo took a shaky breath. “I’m glad.”

Logan levered himself up, leaning her back onto the rumpled bed. “I’m glad your glad,” he smiled against her lips.

One knee inched between her legs, causing the sheet to ride up. He probed her with his fingers, groaning at how quickly she was ready for him. He tugged open his jeans, releasing his throbbing cock, pressing it against her damp center. He watched her face with hooded eyes as he rubbed the head up and down against her moist flesh, making her shudder.

Ororo lifted her fingers to his face, tracing his jaw, up along his sideburns into his thick mane, tugging at him, pulling his mouth down to hers. “I want you inside,” she whispered.

He took his time, kissing her slowly even as his hips surged forward. “Jesus,” he groaned, eyes tightly shut. Her body was made for him, he thought. Hot. Tight. Strong. He growled leaning back so he could watch himself enter her. He took her hand in his, placing it between their bodies as he moved. “Feel that?”

“Yes,” she gasped, his slick erection slipping through her fingers.

“And here.” He pressed her fingers to her clit. “Did you ever touch yourself when you thought about me?” he asked, his voice harsh.

“Yes.”

“Show me how.” He pulled away from her, shrugging from his jacket.

Ororo lifted her eyes to his, questioningly.

“I wanna watch.” He tugged his black tee over his head. “Show me.”

Ororo enjoyed the play of his muscles and the way he moved. She leaned back onto his pillows, her fingers circling her own slick skin. “I will if you show me.” She moaned, finding a delicious spot. “Did you think about me?”

Logan grunted, his breathing erratic. “All the time.” His pants were kicked away.

Ororo smiled, slow and seductive. “Show me.”

Logan kept his eyes on her, his hand closing around his cock. He worked himself up and down, his feral eyes gleaming.

“What would I do to you?” she asked him.

Logan groaned, fingers tightening. “You’d ride me.”

“Mmmm.” Ororo shifted, curling her knees up, giving him an unobstructed view. “I like riding you.”

Logan’s head dropped back. “What would I do to you?”

“You would touch me…here.” Ororo flicked her fingers over her breasts.

“Yeah…?”

“Yes.”

“And?”

“Here.” She ran her hands over her stomach, stroking. She stopped between her thighs, inserting a single finger.

Logan jerked in his palm. “Come on, baby, I’m much bigger than that.” His lips curled, his hips moving.

“Yes, you are.” Another finger.

“Fuck.”

“Yes we would.” Her hand moved. In and out, in and out.

Logan ran his thumb over the head of his cock, smearing precum.

“And then…” Ororo moved, her hips arching ever so slightly. “Here.” She rolled onto her hands and knees.

Logan lost it.

With a ferocious growl he moved for her, grasping her hips, jerking them back. His dick twitched. He ran his hands along the smooth perfection of her back, his nails raking slightly. Ororo bucked against him, tossing her head back. “I want you. Now!”

With a low snarl he reached around her to flick his fingers against her clit, causing her to rear against him reflexively. He groaned. “Fuck, ‘Ro.” He moved his fingers again and she whimpered. He stroked her until she was riding his fingers the way she rode his dick.

When he felt her near orgasm he slicke dher juices over her tight little anus and pressed the head of his cock onto her.

“Oh God, yes,” Ororo moaned into the pillows.

Logan panted returning one hand to her damp nether curls. Working his fingers against her he began to move slowly at first, but then with increasing urgency. Ororo moaned his name, squeezing her breasts, rubbing her thumbs over her nipples. Logan grunted in approval, his erection swelling even more.

The pressure began to build and Ororo lifted herself and settled on him, riding each thrust. Logan was completely lost, his fingers thrusting into her damp center while his dick was snuggled by her ass. He bared his teeth at the reflection of them in his mirror, his hips bucking violently, his grunts savage. “Fuck, fuck, oh, fuck…”

“Logan!” She was frantic, a wild thing screaming and writhing. Her sobs for completion pushed him harder. “I’m coming!”

He roared as his orgasm exploding with blinding force, his hips pumping in a furious rhythm that he was sure would leave both of them walking funny. “Son of a bitch…”

Ororo laughed weakly. “Yeah…”

Logan pulled out slowly, wincing as he did. His dick still throbbed. He rolled Ororo onto her back, his gaze searching her face. “I won’t leave you.”

“No?” She smiled tentatively.

“No.”

“Good sex, huh?”

“There is that, but it’s more.”

“Oh?”

“I love you.”

Ororo’s eyes widened. “Logan, you don’t have to say--”

“Ororo, I love you.”

She smiled, her eyes misting over. “I love you too.”

“Good.” He kissed her. “Now that that’s settled maybe we can get a shower.”

“We definitely need one.”

“Is that a complaint, woman?”

“Heavens no,” she bat her lashes. “Just an observation.”

“Hnh.” His mouth settled on hers.

“Mmmm. I could get used to this.”

He could to, he thought. He really could.
Thirteen by windrider1


Trask walked through his factory, his intelligent eyes betraying not a hint of emotion, but instead they reflected cool calculation. A line of guards flanked him on either side, men he had hired from other companies and some retired soldiers he had served with. These were the men he trusted to guard his factory. He had other soldiers, soldiers that even he considered to be loose cannons. Members of the FOH group that were merciless, borderline fanatical and entirely expendable. It was their expendability that made them worth having around.

Stopping before one of his four behemoth creations Trask allowed himself a small smile. His guardians of humanity. His Sentinels. Exquisite piece of machinery. Equipped with lasers, tethers, probes, darts, tazers and a nearly cognitive intelligence, making them adaptable, and unstoppable fighters. They were to be his enforcers; defenders of right and bringers of justice to those that had no respect for it. For the cause he championed Trask knew he must soon test his creations against those that could be their greatest resistance.

Charles Xavier’s mutant vigilantes were undoubtedly well trained, organized and potentially lethal to Trask’s own dream. He had no desire to see the students at the Xavier institute suffer due to the actions of their faculty and certain other students, however, he couldn’t handle them with kid gloves either.

He had hoped leaving the video of Wolverine slaughtering the workers at Alkali would be enough to cause a rift in the X-Men’s ranks, causing enough dissention to shake them apart, but to his consternation, and admitted surprise, the fold seemed tighter than ever. According to his source, the school’s new head had taken on quite a fondness for the Wolverine.

Ororo Munroe was as determined as she was beautiful and that determination made her dangerous. After the deaths of Scott Summers, Jean Grey ad Charles Xavier, many in the government--himself included--had assumed the school would close down. To the contrary the woman called Storm had stepped up to take the reins. She was the backbone of that school and of the X-Men. If he was to take them apart, he needed her to crumble.

He flipped open his cell phone and dialed. “Judge Petrie, do you have the papers ready to be served? Good. And it’s all neat, McCoy can’t finagle his way around this? Good man.” He pressed END then immediately dialed another number. “I have something for you. I’ve arranged the drop at the usual location. I don’t care how hard it is to get away--meet my agent in one hour. You know where.” He hung up, satisfied that soon he would make the dent he needed to topple the X-Men.

~X~







“Earth calling Ororo? Hello Ororo?”

Fingers drumming idly on her mahogany desk top stilled. “I’m sorry, did you say something, Kitty?”

Blowing a lock of wavy brown hair from her face Kitty flopped into one of two identical wingback chairs facing the Headmistress’ desk, her short black tee riding up on her stomach as she did. “What are you daydreaming about? Or should I say who?”

Ororo leaned back in her seat, mildly startled to feel heat creep into her cheeks. She had indeed been daydreaming about a certain rough-around-the-edges Canadian X-Man. Was she that obvious? She recalled that not too long ago she had commented to Jean about the glow on the other woman’s face after Logan had returned home from his initial trip up to Alkali. He caused that “dazed adoration” effect on a woman, that was for sure.

The past few months between them had been beyond happy. Logan seemed more at ease than she could ever remember him being, laughing and joking with her in the kitchen at lunch, tinkering in the garage to prepare for his classes and even helping in the Danger Room.

They never spoke of the horrible video tape Trask had left, and Ororo wasn’t sure if that was good or bad. She didn’t want Logan to keep himself so tightly bottled, but she also did not want to pry. She figured that when and if he was ever ready to talk, she would be there for him.

“Finished the files?” Ororo asked in lieu of commenting to Kitty’s teasing.

“Yeah, I put the last of them away a few minutes ago.” Kitty gave an exaggerated hand to brow gesture.

Ororo smiled affectionately. “You really have been a terrific help with everything.”

Kitty beamed. She gave her knuckles a quick puff of air before rubbing them on her chest. “Yeah, this place would fall down without me.”

“Undoubtedly.” Ororo shuffled the small stack of paper in front of her. As she did she caught the time on her small gold watch. “Shoot.”

“What‘s wrong?”

“I need to run some errands in town and I have class in thirty minutes.” Ororo picked up her phone. Maybe she could get Sean Cassidy to cover her class. Ever since his arrival a few weeks ago the Irish teacher had proven his worth as an instructor and in the Danger Room. He was charming and handsome and had several of the female students fawning after him, but aside from his good looks and accented charm, he was intelligent and dependable.

He picked up his cell on the second ring. “This is Sean.”

“Hi, Sean, it’s Ororo.”

“I’d know that lovely voice anywhere. Washes over a man like spring rain.”

“You are a shameless flirt.” she chided with humor.

“My beloved Moira says the same thing.” Moira MacTaggert, long time friend of Charles had recently accepted Sean’s marriage proposal. After the semester was up he was heading back to Muir Island, which Ororo had known before he had arrived, but it gave her the teacher she needed for the year and ample time to maneuver faculty.

“What can I do for you?” Sean asked.

“I need to run a few errands, but I have World History in a half an hour. Could you cover for me?”

“Sure, lass.”

“Thanks. I owe you one.” She hung up the phone.

Kitty hopped up out of her seat. “Want some company?”

“Sure. Oh, and why don’t you grab Jimmy too. It’s been awhile since he’s been out of the Mansion.”

Kitty agreed with a nod. “Good idea. He’s been kind of a mope lately.”

Ororo paused in slipping into her black button down blazer. Small waves of guilt washed into her conscious. Had she put her own personal situation so far in the forefront of her life that she had missed something with Jimmy? “Has he said anything?”

“Not really. It’s just an impression I get.”

“Then definitely bring him.”





Outside in the front yard of the institute there were students enjoying the crisp fall afternoon, some reading, others playing. Several hands shot up to wave at the departing headmistress and companions. Ororo returned their waves and flashed one of her brilliant smiles. Seeing her students so relaxed and happy did wonders for her mood in general and made her near euphoric given her current state of happy bliss.

“Are you sure you want me to come with you?” Jimmy asked quietly when they reached the outside garage which housed the Institute vehicles as opposed to the personal ones. Kitty had nearly dragged him from his self-seclusion in his room to the foyer where he had greeted Storm with a soft hello and nervous eyes.

Ororo’s hand stilled above the door handle. “Why on earth wouldn’t I want you with me?”

The young boy shifted uncomfortably under her direct gaze. “Well, with me around you can’t be with Mr. Logan…because, y’know…” He watched his feet shuffle on the concrete.

“Jimmy.” She waited for his head to lift. When it didn’t, she repeated his name in a tone that would not be denied, earning a reluctant look. “You are very important to me. Don’t ever forget that. Logan is…special… yes, but so are you, and I am never, ever giving you up. Not for anyone. Got that?”

A shy smile found it’s way onto his face, so full of innocent joy that Kitty had to turn away and wipe her eyes.

“Got it.” Jimmy nodded.

“Good. Now get your butt in the truck before we’re really late.”

“Late for what?” Bobby Drake poked his head out from under the small Hyundai he was working on.

“We’re going to town.” Kitty informed him. “What are you doing under there?” She indicated the car, holding the back door open for Jimmy.

Bobby rolled out to stand and wiped his hands on the small rag tucked in his belt. “Getting a jump on Mechanics. With Logan teaching I want to be on my toes. ” A head jerk towards the back of the garage where Logan, unseen until that moment, stood, emphasizing his point.

Ororo hid her smile. Logan had quite the reputation as a hard-ass with the students, but she knew he cared for all of them--far more than he even let himself believe. She gestured towards the open doors. “If Logan has no objections, you are more than welcome to come along.”

“Yeah?” He grinned tossing his hand cloth aside. Getting out of the Mansion wasn’t something forbidden, but most of the students stuck close to the institute after the events of the past year. Unspoken fear still lingered beneath the calm surface surrounding them and Ororo took every opportunity she got to help them overcome that and instill security in her charges.

“Objections to what, darlin’?” Logan asked, sauntering towards them. He remained several feet away, leaving space between Jimmy and himself, but he nodded at the boy. Jimmy smiled tentatively in return.

Ororo moved around the SUV, smiling up at him. “Bobby coming with us to town.” She reached up and thumbed away a smudge of grease from his chin.

Logan’s eyes flicked towards the eager looking Bobby. “I suppose the pup could use some air.”

“I call shotgun!” Bobby shouted.

“Oh no you don’t!” Kitty said, wrestling Bobby away from the door. “I was here first.”

“Did you call it?”

“What?”

“Did you call shotgun?”

“No, she didn’t,” Jimmy provided with a cheeky grin.

Kitty shot him a mock severe look. “You little traitor.”

“It’s settled then.” Bobby said with smug satisfaction. “I get shotgun.”

“That’s crap.” Kitty poked her tongue out. “Besides, I’m a lady.”

Bobby slanted her a crooked smirk. “Since when?” This made Jimmy burst into laughter.

“Okay, that’s enough. Jimmy, get in the front seat. Kitty and Bobby can bicker in the rear.” Ororo made shooing motions.

“They give ya too much trouble, you send them to see me when you get home,” Logan said, giving them all a warning look.

Bobby and Kitty both hopped to attention, giving Logan mock salutes before clamoring into the vehicle. It took another two minutes to get everyone settled in their respective seats.

“When d’ya think you’ll be back?” Logan asked, his hand coming to rest on the curve of Ororo‘s hip.

“Probably around dinner. Why?”

“Just curious.” He shrugged easily. He opened the driver’s side door for her. “Catch ya later.” His mouth brushed hers in a lingering kiss before closing it.

Smiling from ear to ear Ororo pulled the SUV out into the afternoon sunshine.

***


Hank glanced up from his paper work as Logan passed his semi-open door for the third time. Closing the file he was currently evaluating Hank folded his hands atop the manila paper and called out. “Is there something on your mind, Logan?”

A dark head poked itself around the corner, gray eyes casting a furtive look around the office. “You busy?”

“Not particularly.”

“Good.” Logan closed the door behind him. He stood a few feet inside the entry way, his posture tense.

Hank slowly reached up and removed his spectacles laying them carefully on his desktop. “Is something troubling you?”

“What do you know about giving a woman flowers and shit?” Logan finally blurt out, looking exceedingly uncomfortable.

Hank coughed into his hand, barely concealing his laugh. After a moment he cleared his throat but his smirk remained. “Logan, are you perhaps trying to romance a certain someone?”

Logan rubbed the back of his neck with one hand. Jesus fucking Christ this was absurd. He was a grown man, he shouldn’t feel so goddamn inadequate, but the truth was he wanted to do something special for ’Ro. It was nearly laughable at how little he knew about romance. The simple fact was, he never really needed it before. Women were never a priority for him. He’d had more than his share of them in his life, but none that had ever really mattered. Not like Ororo did.

Glancing at the obviously amused blue mutant in front of him set his teeth on edge. He wasn’t the sonnets and candy type, but he had hoped Hank could give him some general ideas. Now, seeing the mirth dancing in Hank’s blue eyes, he felt utterly ridiculous.

With a rough growl he turned to leave. “Forget it,” he grumbled.

Hank stood. “No, wait.”

“This was stupid.” He jerked the door open and strode into the hall.

Hank moved around his desk. “Monty Python!” He called after the feral.

Logan stopped, turned, came back in. “What?”

Hank elaborated. “Ororo loves Monty Python.”

That one was unexpected. “No shit.” He took that into consideration. “What else?”

“She has a soft spot for rabbits.”

Logan quirked a brow. “As in bunny rabbits?”

A bushy blue brow rose, as if to question any other type that Logan may be referring to. “Yes, as in bunny rabbits.”

Logan seemed to log that tidbit away. He moved into the office further and leaned against the wall. “Keep talkin’.”

Less than an hour later Logan was issuing commands to a small fleet of recruited students. “Yo, Tin-man, set the TV up over here.” One hand slapped a bare wall.

Peter rolled his eyes at Logan’s favorite nickname but followed his instruction. “Here?”

A curt nod was given in approval.

The far east section of the Mansion was rarely used, as Hank had informed him, and several of the rooms were completely vacant. Logan intended to take full advantage of that little fact. Using the information Henry had provided about Ororo’s likes Logan had created a secluded ‘haven’ for them to enjoy, even if only for one night.

The room he was currently in had dark wood floors and cream colored walls. The room, upon first entering had smelled stale and dusty. Grabbing a handful of students as he roamed the Mansion, Logan set them about the task of scrubbing and dusting. He was pleased with their progress.

“Flowers just arrived.” Sam Guthrie entered the room, carrying a large bouquet of exotic flowers. He looked around the room and whistled. “Ms. Munroe is sure going to be surprised.”

Unlit candles lined the walls in sconces, put in place by Logan himself. The large flat screen television that Peter had just brought up hung on the wall facing a small, but cozy loveseat that Logan had borrowed from the library.

A miniature round table was set off to the side, champagne chilling in ice sat beside a tray of strawberries. Logan had questioned the need for fruit, but Hank assured him that Julia Roberts was never wrong. Logan had no idea what in the hell that meant, but he left it alone.

“Where should I put the flowers, sir?”

“I’ll take ‘em.” Logan took the flowers from the corn silk haired teen.

“Special occasion?” Sam questioned.

Logan didn’t reply. It was common knowledge around the school now that he and Ororo were an item, but at times he really wished that they weren’t under the constant surveillance of a hundred different people. Tonight he hoped to capture some privacy for the two of them and he’d gut anyone that interfered.

A few more minor preparations and the room finally was finished. With a baring of teeth Logan ordered everyone out and warned them all that if he so much as sniffed them within fifty feet of the room he‘d take it personal. He closed and locked the door behind him. It was time to lay the trail.

“Logan!”

He turned towards the call of his voice. “Hey, kiddo.”

Marie walked towards him quickly. “Have you seen Bobby? I thought he was with you.”

“He was.” Logan reached the elevator. “He left awhile ago.”

Hazel eyes flashed with irritation. “Left for where?”

“Went to town with ‘Ro to run errands.”

Marie frowned. “He never told me he was going.”

Logan placed his hand on the elevator door, keeping it from shutting as he crossed the threshold. “It was kind of a last minute thing.”

“When will he be back?”

Logan shrugged, his mind on things aside from keeping tabs on the runts. “No idea, kiddo. I ain’t his babysitter.”

“Was it just him and Storm?”

Logan knew where that question was going. He thought it best to remain neutral. “A couple of other kids went too.”

“What other kids? Was Kitty with them?” Marie’s voice rose an octave.

“So was Jimmy.” He was not in the mood for any teenage drama. “If there isn’t anything else, I have some stuff to do.”

She looked hurt. “Fine.” She turned abruptly away from him. “Like you care anyway,” she mumbled.

“What was that?” Logan asked with a hint of impatience.

Marie whirled, a shimmer in her eyes. “I said ‘like you care’! it’s not like you do anymore, right? Ever since you and Storm have become a..a.. thing all you care about is her! So much for always being there for me, for always taking care of me, huh?”

Logan felt his temper flare up. “You know damn well it ain’t like that--”

She threw up her hands. “It is like that, but you refuse to see it!”

Logan rumbled in frustration. “Damn it, Marie--”

She wiped her eyes, interrupting. “So sorry I bothered you. Get back to your important life.” With a toss of her long hair she rushed out of the corridor.

The doors of the elevator slid shut. Logan let out a nasal sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Damn it.”

Raven Darkholme watched the interaction between Logan and young Marie from her position in the shadows. She turned back towards the staircase, whistling, her light blue eyes narrowed into slits. There was something about that man that got under her skin, something that made her ache. It was not a completely unpleasant sensation, as most of the men in her life had little to no effect on her. The only other man to make her feel that spiraling sensation in her stomach had betrayed her in the end. Left her lying naked on the floor, disowning her love, devotion and sacrifice with a flick of his cape.

She took a right on the second floor landing, heading for the student dorms. She stopped outside the closed door, listening to the soft sobs coming from inside. She knocked.

The door swung inward and a bleary eyed Marie glared at her, obviously expecting someone else.

“He’s not coming,” Raven stated.

Marie glowered. “Go away!”

Raven smiled, one hand slapping the door as it swung towards her face. “Don’t be so hasty.” She strolled into the room uninvited. “I think you and I can help one another.”

Marie gaped at her. “Are you crazy? I hate you. Get out of my room.”

Raven ran her fingers over the magazines covering Marie‘s corner desk. “Yes, yes, you hate me.” One sculpted ebony brow arched. “But do you hate me more than you hate the idea of Wolverine with Storm?”

Marie sniffed. “I don’t hate--”

“Oh, please.” Raven rolled her eyes. “You’re more transparent than Sue Storm.” The tall beauty approached, and placed one hand on Marie’s shoulder on a confidential manner. “You want your hero back. I can help you.”

A shrug of Marie’s stiff shoulder shook the hand off. “Why would you help me?”

Raven‘s smile was sickeningly sweet. “Because by helping you, I help myself. I’m not an altruist, honey. I want something out of this too, but you know what they say about two birds and one stone.”

“I’m not going to help you hurt Logan.”

Raven smiled in amusement. “Why on earth would I want to hurt him? I have other intentions.”

Marie made a face. “I know exactly what you want and it’s disgusting.”

There was genuine malice in Raven’s voice when she spoke. “No one knows exactly what I want.”

“I don’t trust you.”

“You would be foolish to.” Raven crossed her arms over her chest. “If you want your champion of champions back in your corner, I can help you. If you don’t, then fine, I walk out of here right now and this conversation never happened.”


Marie’s teeth worked her bottom lip worriedly. “And Logan won’t get hurt?”

Raven’s smile disappeared to be replaced by a cool look. “Physically, no.”

Marie hesitated.

Raven shrugged, moving towards the door.

“Wait…”

She paused, head titled.

“What did you have in mind?”

She smiled.
Fourteen by windrider1



She was being followed.

Ororo glanced furtively over her shoulder.

No one was behind her. At least not anyone suspicious. Just a few other shoppers perusing the sale racks and a few high school kids chatting by the doorway. No one that seemed interested in her, well save the salesman who was eyeing her like she was a steak dinner, but nothing out of the ordinary.

She turned back to the black silk shirt she was inspecting, muttering beneath her breath. She was getting as paranoid as the kids. The hair on the back of her neck stood up and she whipped around. Still no one there, but she was certain she was being watched. She still had her street kid instincts and she trusted them. Time to move.

She shoved the shirt back on the rack, nearly blue eyes searching out Kitty, Bobby and Jimmy. She spotted them at a table just outside the shop she was in, sipping DQ Blizzards. She moved quickly towards them.

“Come on,” she said by way of greeting. “We’re getting out of here.”

Kitty looked up her over her bendy straw. She immediately caught the tension around Ororo’s mouth. “Something the matter?”

Not wanting to worry them Ororo shook her head. “No. Let’s go, it’s time to get back to the school.” She took Jimmy’s arm, propelling them towards the doors. The parking lot seemed to stretch on forever, windshields reflecting the late afternoon sunlight, glinting like jewels.

Ororo glanced both ways, ushering Jimmy through the cars, keeping him close as she searched out anything unfamiliar or out of place. Her pace was fast, forcing Bobby and Kitty to quickstep to keep up with her.

“Nothing wrong. Riiiiiiight,” Kitty muttered as she had to increase to a near jog.

Their truck was just ahead, and Ororo slowed her pace a bit, making certain that no one was near their vehicle. Her hand tightened on her key and pressed the unlock button on the alarm. “Okay, hop in, buddy.” She prompted Jimmy, her eyes darting across the parking lot. He gave her a questioning look and she smiled at him in what she hoped was a reassuring manner.

Once everyone was safe inside the SUV Ororo slid her sunglasses over her eyes and sped out of the parking lot. Her feeling of unease did not dissipate until they were on the highway.

“Target on the move. Orders?”

“Do not engage.”

“Sir?”

“This was surveillance only.”

“They’re goddamn muties. We should take ‘em now.”

“You have your orders. Acknowledge.”

“Acknowledged.” The walkie talkie was flung angrily side, bouncing off of the tan seats of the Toyota. The man behind the wheel clenched his teeth against a wave of anger and disgust. “Damn muties.”



~X~


Peter Rasputin met Ororo as she and the others reached the courtyard. She smiled up at the much taller man, allowing him to assist her with the bags she carried. “House didn’t fall down I see,” she commented, having left the senior student in charge of the underclassmen who were not in sessions.

He grinned. “Well, only once, but we put it back up again.”

Kitty bounced out of the SUV. “As long as you didn’t use the Leggo’s from the back room. They’re faulty.”

Peter made a face of mock surprise, swinging his head towards the Mansion. “We may need to evacuate.”

“So long as it holds up until after I’m finished cooking,” Ororo said.

Peter glanced over at her. “That reminds me, I’m supposed to give you a message.”

“Oh?”

“Yup. Dinner is taken care of for the students. You have another engagement.”

Her brow furrowed. “I do?”

“You do.” The Mansion door swung open, revealing Hank in a ‘Kiss the Cook’ apron. He peered into one of the bags Peter was carrying. “I do hope you remembered cilantro.”

“No need.” Ororo gave him a kiss on the cheek as she passed. “There is some in the pantry. Now what’s this about dinner being taken care of?”

Henry grinned toothily. “I am preparing a culinary masterpiece for our young students.”

“That’s awfully sweet of you, Hank, but I could have prepared dinner.”

“No, no, my dear. Your presence is needed elsewhere.” He handed her a small note card.

Climb the stairs… The masculine scrawl was easily identifiable as Logan’s.

She raised inquisitive eyes to Henry’s. “What is this?”

He shrugged. “You had best not be late.” With a wink and a pat on her backside he was off.

Ororo shot a look at Peter who was busy studying the ceiling, whistling. “What is going on here?” she wanted to know.

He looked at his bare wrist. “Oh, look at the time. I’ll take care of these bags.” He nudged Kitty as he passed her, making her flush.

“Dang that boy is cute,” she sighed.

Bobby gave her a look that bordered annoyed.

She gave him an unconcerned wink, following Peter down the hall. “Hey, Petey, wait up!”

Bobby shook his head. He was in love with Marie, and harboring his crush on Kitty was bad for him, he knew, yet he was unable to shake it completely. With a sigh he wrapped his arm around Jimmy’s shoulders. “Women. Avoid them if you can,” he said sagely.

Jimmy just laughed.



At the top of the staircase Ororo found another cryptic note. Into your bedroom… Reading the words her heart began to increase it’s already hurried pace. Was Logan waiting for her in her bedroom? She ran her hands over her hair, smoothing the fly-aways then grimaced at her own girly behavior.

She opened the door to her room slowly, peering inside. “Logan?” No answer. She closed it quietly behind her. There were no signs that anyone was in the room--or had there been anyone recently. She looked around, mildly confused. What was the point--? Oh, my. Her mouth parted on a gasp and a smile when she noticed the single lily laying on her vanity. She picked it up, twirling it between her thumb and index finger. A crisp white note card was attached to them stem. On it was a single word: Closet…

Quickly, eager as a child, Ororo was inside her walk-in closet. Hanging on her door was a slinky black dress. Attached to the thin straps was yet another white card: Wear this. Only this. Go to the East Wing…Follow the trail.

Hastily, Ororo shrugged out of her clothes, slipping the silky material on over her head. She sighed, running her hands over the dress. It was one of her favorites, and one she rarely got to wear, much like the cocktail dress she wore to dinner with Hank. She felt very feminine in it, as she was sure was the purpose of wearing it. With an excited smile she made her way to her door, the hem of the dress brushing her bare ankles as she walked.

As her bedroom door clicked shut behind her, she noticed a white petal swirl in the draft. In fact, the entire hall was littered with petals, something that hadn’t been before. She glanced about, looking for Logan. Not seeing him, she followed the flower droppings, trusting the scented petals to lead her way. Her heart fluttered down to her stomach and back up again. What was Logan up to? No one had ever done anything so dramatic for her. He had said he loved her, but this was the first sign of it he had shown outside the bedroom. It made her giddy. Light footsteps increased until she was almost running down the halls.



Logan couldn’t breathe.

He was standing just outside the door of the room he’d “reserved” when he spotted Ororo walking towards him, her bare feet swirling flower petals around her as she approached. She looked like a pagan princess come to call. The thin material of her dress hung on her in a graceful flow, hugging her slender, well curved frame, and giving him a generous view of the shadowed valley between her breasts. The dark black of the silk complimented her caramel skin and shocking hair in such a way that he couldn’t adequately formulate an adjective to describe it. To put it simply, she was positively the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

He straightened away from the wall, running suddenly clammy hands over his black trousers. In the spirit of the evening he had forgone his usual jeans and tee attire for a pair of black pants and a crisp white dress shirt. He had even shaved--not that anyone could really tell, but he had put in the effort. He wanted everything to be perfect for her. It mattered to him that she was happy.

And happy she looked. Her face, sans make up, as he preferred, was lit up by a radiant smile. “You look handsome,” she said breathlessly when she was a little closer. Handsome was an understatement as far as she was concerned. With slightly less disheveled hair than usual, one dimple showing in his shaven cheek, and a twinkle in his slate eyes, he literally knocked the air from her lungs and she wasn’t sure it was ever coming back.

They stood facing one another for several heartbeats, the air between them thick with various emotions. Finally, Ororo gestured towards the petals in the hall and the note cards she still carried. “What’s the occasion?”

Logan’s lip quirked at the edges, deepening his dimple. One hand reached up, knuckles skimming the soft curve of her cheek. “You are.”

Ororo blinked up at him, her heart thundering in her ears. “I’m not sure I understand…” She was silenced by warm lips against her own. She sighed, leaning into the kiss, eyes drifting shut as his big hands cradled her face. The man certainly knew how to shut a woman up, she thought when he parted her lips with a skillful flick of his tongue. He delved deep, causing her to arch back slightly.

Ororo moaned, enjoying the invasion. Logan always tasted wonderful to her, but tonight he tasted faintly of chocolate and strawberries. Not just any chocolate, she realized as he stroked his tongue against hers, but La Maison du Chocolat, chocolates. She broke the kiss hurriedly, her eyes wide. “There’s La Maison chocolate in there?” she pointed over his shoulder at the closed room.

Logan gave her a bemused look, his lips still tingling from their encounter. Was that the name of those things? Henry had insisted that no ordinary box of chocolates would suffice and had placed the order for Logan. Whatever they were, they had cost a damn fortune. He shrugged, “I guess.”

Ororo grabbed his hand, tugging him towards the door with a laugh. “Well then, what are we waiting for?” She stumbled to a halt as she crossed the threshold, astounded at the scene that greeted her. The flickering light of dozens of candles along the walls, and on the floor was the room’s only illumination, casting an amber glow throughout. The soft golden glow was more than sufficient to reveal a beautiful bouquet of flowers on a small table, two chairs and a steaming serving cart alongside. There was a cozy love seat on the far side of the room with blankets and pillows tossed across it and a large TV on the wall. It was a perfect little love nest. It left her speechless.

Logan cleared his throat, feeling suddenly unsure of himself when she didn’t speak. He rubbed his hand over the back of his neck. “I hope you have an appetite.” He started forward but Ororo stopped him with a hand on his forearm. He turned towards her with an arched brow, a question in his dark eyes.

With a sultry smile she pulled him towards her, her pouty mouth capturing his in a deep kiss. Her fingers threaded into his hair, nails gently scraping causing his scalp to tingle. She held him still for her exploration by his roots. She licked and nipped, taking her fill of his enticing taste. A low growl rumbled against her lips and she felt his hands flex on her hips, dragging her tight against him. She leaned back, only slightly, her eyes cloudy with passion. She licked her lips teasingly. “Oh, yes, Logan, I definitely have an appetite.”

Logan’s grin was borderline animal. Goddamn she sounded sexy when her voice was smoky with lust, and her playful teasing never ceased to excite him. He caught her lower lip with his teeth, tugging it into his mouth to suck on. “Good. So do I…” Hs cupped one breast through her dress, enjoying the heavy weight of it against his palm. He worked the soft swell with open adoration. “Nice,” he murmured.

“Why do I…think our food…will be getting cold…” Ororo gasped as he flicked his thumb over her budding peak.

Sharp teeth nipped her neck. “Because it will be,” he rasped in her ear, breath tickling.

She felt so good beneath his hands. All woman and response. Logan smiled at her startled expression when he swung her up into his arms. “C’mere, princess,” he murmured against her lips, reminding her of their very first kiss in the hallway.

“Does this make you my knight?” she whispered.

“I’m whatever you need me to be,” he said with surprising sincerity.

“Logan” Ororo replied with a tender touch, her fingers skimming his sideburns. “Just be Logan.”

Would that be good enough? He wondered momentarily. Would being ‘just Logan’ ever truly be enough? It hadn’t been for Jean, and he couldn’t remember ever trying with anyone else before. Did Ororo really find him worth having just the way he was? Gently Logan settled her on the loveseat, not wanting to over analyze.

Ororo watched him through lowered lashes. He looked starkly handsome and primal in the flickering candlelight. He knelt in front of her, his strong, warm hands on her ankles, thumbs rubbing against her shins. She smiled down at him, all the love she felt for him reflected in her eyes.

Logan swallowed hard. No one had ever looked at him like that. Like he was vital. He whispered her name in awe and watched her face as he slid his hands over her calves, massaging as he went. She had the smoothest, silkiest legs he had ever felt; smoother even than the silk bunching at his wrists. He enjoyed the small gasp she made as his hands rounded her thighs, nudging them apart. His teeth flashed in a feral smile when he realized she had taken his instructions very literally. “Good girl,” he murmured, bending his head.

Ororo nearly came off of the loveseat at the first touch of his lips. “Logan!”

Her breathy cry made him groan and the tug of her fingers in his hair made him smile. He gripped her hips, pulling her closer to his questing lips. She tasted tangy and fresh, womanly and natural. It was damn intoxicating.

Ororo couldn’t think, could barely breathe. Logan’s tongue brushed against her with increasing pressure, making her squirm. “Oh, God,” she whimpered. Her heel slammed into his shoulder in a reflexive leg curl, her body instinctively trying to drag him closer.

Logan growled, feeling her muscles clench. She was close to the edge and he wanted to push her over. He pressed even closer, mouth opening hungrily, sucking and licking until Ororo was writhing against him in mindless abandon, her cries echoing in his ears. He was determined to feel her release against his lips.

Ororo for her part was grappling with a pillow, pulling it over her face as she bucked, a scream, muffled by the cotton, marking her orgasm.

Logan groaned, lapping up every silvery drop of her release. “Love the way you taste,” he said huskily, pressing small kisses to her thighs. When she didn’t reply he glanced up at her. He chuckled, reaching up to pry the pillow from her death grip. “You okay?”

Ororo shivered, her body still trembling with aftershocks. She pressed one hand to her chest in a vain attempt to calm her erratic panting. “Just dandy,” she managed to say.

Logan grinned.

Ororo gave him a mock scowl. “No need to look so smug.”

“Can’t help it.” He leaned up over her, moving her legs to his hips. He kissed her chin, teeth scraping playfully. “I like to make my girl scream.”

Ororo flushed. “You certainly do it well.” She shifted position, pulling him tighter against her damp center. “But I still want more.”

“Oh. yeah?” Logan growled, his erection pressing against the seam of his pants painfully, seaking her heat.

“Mmmmm.” Ororo nodded, her deft fingers working the button of his shirt. She shoved the material aside, dragging it over his shoulders, wanting to see the hard play of his muscles in the candlelight. Her hands moved over his revealed flesh, touching, branding, scorching his skin. “Want you.”

“I’m yours.” He shuddered when her nails lightly scratched across his nipples. She set him on fire so easily. A touch, a whisper, a look--it all enflamed him. Had it been solely sexually that she turned him on, he could have categorized her with any other woman he had ever had, but she turned his insides out, made him want more for himself than he had ever dreamt of before.

“Mine you say,” Ororo inclined her head, her eyes searching his. “For how long?”

“Forever if you want,” he answered without hesitation. The words were out and he had no desire to call them back. For her, for this one woman, he would give her forever.

A definite sparkle shone in her dark chocolate depths. “I think forever sounds good.”

“Damn good,” he confirmed gruffly. He pulled her from her slump against the cushions, rolling them onto the floor, dragging the blanket with them. They landed in a tangle of limbs and half adorned clothing.

Ororo leaned up from her sprawl across Logan’s chest, laughing. “I think the blanket has trapped my legs.”

Logan looked down the length of her body, noticing the red material wrapped around her ankles. With a good natured grumble he flipped her onto her back, tugging the offending plush from her limbs. He stood, spreading it across the floor and grabbed a couple of pillows from the seat.

Satisfied with his makeshift bedding he winked at Ororo. She smiled back. It was all the invitation he needed. With a growl he crawled up alongside her, pulling her on top of him. Strands of white fell across her forehead and she pushed them away.

He muttered her name in his familiar shortened form, his head lifting so that he could fasten his lips to hers, hard and relentless, dominating and hungry. He kissed her until he felt like he was drowning in her taste. His arms tightened possessively around her. “You can’t imagine how fuckin’ sexy you are.”

“You think I’m sexy?” Ororo asked with a teasing tilt of her lips. She sat up fully, straddling him. She rolled her hips, earning a rather throaty groan.

“Fuck, yes, you’re sexy.” Logan panted, gritting his teeth. His hips surged upward, letting her feel how hard he was. “So goddamn sexy.” His hands settled on her shoulders, sliding over the soft skin, fingers picking up the thin straps of her dress. He hooked them around his index fingers, pulling the material down, down, down, over the swell of her breasts, revealing dark tipped peaks.

Ororo let out a soft sigh when his warm hands cupped her, stroking the underside. “You make me feel sexy,” she confessed.

Logan smiled up at her. If he made her feel half as good as she did him, then he was happy. “Good.” His lips closed over one budding peak, tugging the nub with his teeth, pulling it into his mouth to suckle.
The feel of his moist mouth and the heat of his whispered words against her skin made her tremble with want. “Logan, I love you.”

Logan gripped the back of her head, pulling her down to him so that he could fuse his mouth to hers in a kiss that left little doubt that he felt the exact same way about her. He groaned, lifting her up just slightly so that he could work his zipper. He wanted--no needed-- to be inside of her.

Ororo gasped into his open mouth when she felt the head of his cock at her slick entrance. He was so thick and hard, pressing into her with exquisite slowness. “More,” she murmured against his lips.

“Take what you want,” he encouraged.

Ororo reared up, adjusted her position, clasping her ands around his neck and with one graceful shimmy, impaled herself on him. “Oh!” Fingernails bit into skin.

“Jesus!” The veins on Logan’s neck stood out as he tossed his head back. She was so hot and tight, gripping him in the safe haven of her body. With her, he was whole. Complete.

“You feel so good.” She moved against him leisurely, enjoying the full sensation of having him imbedded deep inside. She savored the hot slick feel of them together.

He lifted her hand to his lips, his longer incisors slid across the skin of her wrist, his tongue licked wet circles around her pulse point and then down to her fingers, sucking one into his mouth.

Ororo moaned, lifting herself and settling back down, the silk of her dress rustling around their writhing bodies. The more she moved on him, the more possessive Logan felt. She was his. He couldn’t completely wrap his brain around that. His. He pulled her head forward locking her lips into his into a heated kiss,

“I ain’t never lettin’ you go,” he whispered on her lips.

“Don’t…” she cried out, pleasure mounting like lightning in her blood. “Don’t let me go.” She moved over him restlessly, needing him in a way that should have terrified her, but instead filled her with a hope that she had once believed snuffed by Xavier’s death.

Logan could feel his release approaching and he strove to fight it off, but Ororo was having none of that. She rode him with abandon, her perfect breasts bobbing over the top of her dress, her mouth parted and eyes glazed. “Oh, oh, God…”

“Fuck, baby…” Logan’s hands flexed on her hips. His grip was bruising but she didn’t care. He helped her move, lifting and pulling her back down to meet his thrusts. He fought the desire to close his eyes when he felt her inner walls tighten as she came. The sight of her was too good to miss. He watched her with something akin to awe for a split second before his own body succumbed to the pleasure he was feeling. His teeth gnashed together and a long growl erupted from his throat as his seed erupted from his dick.

Ororo, spent and sated, collapsed against his chest.

Logan was instantly lost in the contentment of having her snuggled against him. She awoke and soothed the animal in him at once. It was a unique experience. He brushed his fingers over her cheek. “Love you.”

Ororo gently kissed his chest. “Sleepy…”

He smiled, satisfied. “Rest. We have all night.”

“Forever…remember?” she yawned.

Logan, surprised by the sting of tears in his eyes, pressed his lips to her hair. “That’s right. Forever.”

Wrapped together in an embrace only lovers shared, they slept.
Fifteen by windrider1


Something was tickling her arm.

Heavy lidded chocolate eyes parted ever so slightly to examine the cause of her wakefulness. Unblinking black orbs, framed by plush white fur, glittered down at her. Ororo picked the floppy eared stuffed animal up from her arm. Pushing her mussed hair from her face and rolling fully onto her back she gave Logan a quizzical look. “What’s this?”

“A rabbit.” Logan, unabashedly, and gloriously naked, crouched in front of her. Morning light gleamed against the dark ebony of his hair creating blue highlights. Tawny muscles rippled as he shifted position, momentarily causing Ororo’s brain to seize and her thoughts to scatter to the wind.

Noting her still perplexed look, Logan added, “Hank told me you liked rabbits.”

This caused Ororo to pause, glancing down at the stuffed bunny, her eyes momentarily widening before crimson flooded her cheeks. “Oh, God.”

Curious at her obvious fluster, Logan leaned forward. “What?”

Ororo shook her head, lower lip caught by pearly teeth as she tried ineffectually to contain her laughter. Her shoulders shook with it.

Crawling up the length of her body, Logan pinned her effortlessly to their makeshift bed on the floor. “Out with it,” he ordered.

Knowing he was unlikely to let her escape without explanation, Ororo slanted him a mischievous look. “Henry misunderstood.”

Logan cocked his head. “So, you don’t like rabbits?”

“Oh, no. I do. Adore them.” She paused for a beat. “Just…different rabbits.”

Something about the twinkle in her eyes told Logan he wanted to hear this explained--in detail. “Different? I think you need to elaborate.”

“I’m sure you can figure it out.”

“I’m dense, remember. Thick adamantium skull.”

She rolled her eyes.

He grinned. “I’m waiting.”

A soft puff of air passed her lips. “Ok, fine. If you really want to know, one girls night out, after a few too many, Jean and I started talking about…sex.”

One eyebrow shot up, interest clearly peaked. “Sex, huh? You and Jean?”

She swatted his arm. “It was talk only, pervert.”

“That’s too bad.”

“Do you want to hear this or not?”

He chuckled, nipping her shoulder. “I’m listening.”

Ororo sighed, enjoying the play of his lips on her skin. “Well, as it happens, Henry came upon us while we were talking about sex toys.”

Another bite and a rumble. “Sex toys?”

Ororo’s body began to move restlessly, instinctively seeking Logan. “Yes, sex toys.”

“Mmm.” He caught her earlobe between his teeth. “Go on.”

“Uhm…” She was at a loss.

“You were talkin’ to Jean about sex toys,” he prompted, licking the soft shell of her ear.

“Oh…yes…” She tried to relocate her lost train of thought. “He happened upon us as we..Ohhh…”

Logan grinned, fingers probing between her legs. “I’m listening,” he repeated.

Ororo’s knees bent, hips lifting, beseeching. She nearly swore when all Logan did was stroke the soft nest of curls. “We were discussing vibrators.”

“Vibrators? You?” He clearly seemed taken back by that.

She gave him a look. “A woman has needs, and since I don’t sleep around indiscriminately--”

“I wasn’t judgin’, darlin’.” Logan corrected with a sly grin. “So, this rabbit is a type of vibrator?” He gently parted her thighs.

“Yes!”

“Hnh.” The pads of his fingers hovered. “One that you enjoy?” Teasing strokes.

“Damn it, Logan.”

He cocked her an innocent look. “What?”

“You know what!”

“I’m afraid I don’t, ‘Ro.” His grin was complete devilish intent. “You’re just gonna have to explain to me what you want.”

“You cannot be that dense.”

He sat back on his haunches. “Maybe I am.”

“Maybe you’re full of shit.”

He blinked. Then sharp barks of laughter erupted from his chest. “Damn, I love when yer fiesty.”

Ororo couldn’t prevent her answering, throaty laugh. “You once would have called that ‘having my panties in a bunch’.”

Strong fingers stroked adoringly. “Yeah, but ya ain’t wearin’ panties now.”

“Neither are you,” she whispered, her own hands seeking.

“Hnh.” Logan closed his eyes, a shudder running through him. “How ‘bout that.”

“Yes, how about that…” The rest of their words died off as Logan lay claim to her mouth and followed suit with her body.

~X~


“I take it your evening went well.”

Logan glanced up from the motorcycle magazine he was browsing, earmarking the page with the black leather jacket he was certain would look damn fine on Ororo. Hank stood in the kitchen doorway, a quizzical look on his intelligent face. A nod was the only response to his inquiry Logan gave before resuming his reading.

Hank wasn’t about to let him off that easy. Striding into the room he took the seat directly across from Logan, leaning one elbow against the island. “Did you give her the chocolates?”

Logan recalled drizzling melted chocolate over taut nipples of the same dark color, licking and sucking the sweetness away. He cleared his throat, shifting position in his seat. “Yup.”

“And was the wine satisfactory?”

Open mouths sharing dark red liquid, a soft tongue lapping his navel…moving lower… “Jesus.”

“Pardon?”

“Yes.” Logan barked.

Hank blinked. “I apologize if my curiosity in the matter seems unwarranted.” He stood.

Logan ran a hand over his face. After a calming breath he said a bit less gruff, “Things went fine, Fur-ball. I appreciate the help. ‘Ro was thrilled.”

Hank was appeased. “Really?”

“Really.” Logan also stood. He swatted Hank on the arm with his magazine as he passed. “You were dead on about everything…’cept the rabbit.”

Hank‘s grin dimmed a bit. “That’s odd. I was certain Ororo had once expressed a sincere fondness for rabbits.”

“Wrong kind, Bub.” Logan provided as he left the kitchen, chuckling under his breath.

Hank stared at the swinging door, perplexed. Then, “Oh my stars and garters.” Face flushed, he began a robust laugh.

~X~


Ororo scribbled her signature across the bottom of the last of the checks she was mailing out, the bills paid for one more month. She sighed with satisfaction, noting with a fair amount of pride that for once Xavier’s was actually ahead of budget.

A soft rap on her door broke her moment. “Ororo, lass, are ye free?” A rusty head poked through the doorway.

“Of course, Sean, come in.”

Sean made his way towards her. “Dinnae mean t’ intrude but I thought ye might like t’ be aware that we’re being watched.”

Ororo shot up out of her seat. “What?”

“I was flying around fifteen minutes ago, down by the lake in the back and I noticed several tracks in the woods. They looked fresh and deep, like someone had set up some sort of camp or lookout. I may be mistaken, lord knows we got enough wandering students here.”

Remembering her suspicion the other day at the mall Ororo shook her head. “I’m sure your instincts are right. Did you see anyone?”

“Nae. But there were cigarette butts and a few candy wrappers too.” He pulled a plastic baggie containing said objects from his pants. “Thought maybe Henry could run an analysis on them.”

“Good thinking,” Ororo stated with genuine admiration. She also knew someone that should take a look at the items and the area Sean had spotted. With a calm she wasn’t certain she felt, Ororo ushered Sean towards the door. “Bring your findings to Henry, then Logan and I will meet you in the back of the mansion.”

“Gonna have the Wolverine do a bit of tracking? Breaking out yer old bloodhound?” Sean tried to lighten the subtle tension he felt in her.

Ororo felt her lips twitch. “He is the best there is at that sort of thing.”

“So I’ve heard, lass,” Sean added closing Ororo’s office door behind them.

~X~


Marie watched Raven maneuver around the pool table, her long creamy legs revealed by a too short red skirt, with disdainful eyes. The more she thought about what the older woman had said to her the other day the more confused, hurt and angry she became.

True, she felt abandoned by Logan, but did that really mean she was willing to help Raven? Was she that petty? She sighed, leaning back onto the couch, working her thumbnail with her teeth. If Raven succeeded in her manipulation, then Ororo and Logan would be no more, and Raven would more than likely be removed from the Mansion. Then what? Would she and Logan automatically resume their friendship? Would the bond still be there? She grimaced in frustration.

“Bug up your ass?”

Marie scowled up at the dark haired beauty. “Yeah, you.”

“Ah.” Raven leaned against her pool stick. “And what about me is up your ass?”

“I won’t help you,” Marie blurted.

Something akin to amusement flickered across Raven’s face. “No?”

“No.”

“Found your lost sense of X-Men nobility?”

Marie stood, her posture tense. “I won’t be responsible for hurting Logan.”

“Can he be hurt?”

Marie remembered how crushed he was when Jean had died--both times. She flinched. “Yes. And I won’t let it happen again.”

“Well, well, grew a pair, did you?” Raven smirked. “Given how much you loathe him and Storm together, I figured you’d be chomping at the bit to tear them apart. You can’t honestly tell me you think she’s the right woman for him.”

Marie frowned, her feelings mixed. “No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean I think you’re a better choice.”

“If you didn’t have the stomach for the game, little girl, you shouldn’t have agreed to help me.”

“I won‘t--”

“What? Won’t let me?” Raven laughed throatily. “Consider it a favor. You stay clear and let me do the dirty work.” She ruffled Marie’s hair. “Before you know it Wolverine and Storm will be no more.”

Marie gnawed her lip. “You promise that all you want to do is break them up?”

“Of course.” Raven’s smile was falsely sweet.

“And what in the flamin‘ hell makes you think that‘s even remotely possible?” Logan was leaned against the entry, arms crossed over his massive chest.

Marie jumped nearly out of her skin. “Logan! How long have you--?”

His steel gray eyes flicked over her face and shone bright with disappointment. “Long enough, kid.”

Oh God. Marie reverently wished the floor would open up and swallow her. She tried to talk, choked, tried again, “Logan--”

“Save it,” he barked, his dark eyes on Raven. “You are one sick bitch, you know that. Trying to use her to get to me.” He straightened from the door, a snarl on his face.

Instead of being intimidated, Raven let out a sultry laugh. “What an ego you have. Eric was right, you think everything is about you.”

“Don’t fuckin’ pretend innocence.” Logan was nearly upon her.

Raven turned more fully to face him, almost eager for his crowding. “We both know I am no innocent.”

Logan halted, the scent of arousal snaking it’s way up to him. The bitch was excited. He shook his head in disgust. “I don’t know what game you two were plannin’, but it ends now.” He gave Marie a hard look. “Either of you try and come between me and ’Ro, and I’ll send you packin’.” He looked at Raven. “Or worse.” -SNIKT- With that he strode from the room.

Marie raced after him. “Logan! Logan, wait! I can explain!”

He didn‘t bother to halt his stride. “Give it up, kid. I ain’t in the mood for explanations.”

“Please, just hear me out.” Tears shone in her eyes, sounded in her voice. “Please.”

Logan sighed, running a hand through his hair, finally stopping. “What do you have to say?”

Marie swallowed. “You hurt me,” she began.

“What?” Logan looked incredulous. “When?”

“I can’t give you a specific date,” she stated. “But ever since you and Storm have become a…thing…it’s like no one else matters to you.” She wiped her eyes. “All you care about is her.”

Logan snorted. “Marie, you know damn well that ain’t the case. Storm isn’t the real issue.” He faced her directly. “Ever since the Cure you’ve been different. You took it, kid, you can’t change that. If you regret it, then I’m sorry, but that was no one’s decision but your own.”

Marie tensed. “I had no idea my being a non-mutant would get me removed from the X-Men! Or that Bobby would still be panting after Kitty! It was all supposed to be different!”

“That’s where this stems from?” Logan pinned her with a harsh glare, his sympathy running short. “Marie, grow up.”

Tears coursing freely now, she snapped, “Who are you to tell me to grow up? Huh? You play more games and have childish fits more than anyone. Jean’s cold in the ground and you’re screwing her best friend! Where is that undying love you supposedly had, huh? You‘re as inconsistent with that as you are with your friendship.”

Logan’s teeth bared in a snarl. “Anyone else would be through a wall by now, Marie.”

She laughed, the sound bordering on hysterical. “Tell me, Logan, do you love Storm as much as you loved Jean? Or is that relationship expendable, too?”

Logan fought down a growl. “First of all, Jean was never mine to ‘expend‘. Second, I loved her, yes, and I will always love her.” He swallowed the lump in his throat. “That hasn’t changed. That will never change. And third, what I have with Storm is none of your fuckin’ business.”

Marie winced. “It used to be.”

“No, that’s where you’d be wrong. My shit was never your business. I told you once I wasn’t your father, and I meant it.”

“You also told me that you’d take care of me,” she sniffed.

Logan felt his anger crumbling beneath her misery. She was just a kid, lost and confused. He could relate to that, he supposed. With a sigh he placed his hand on her shoulder. “I will always care about you.”

She blinked up at him. “But…?”

“But,” he continued. “There comes a time when you need to take care of yourself. You ain’t broken and bloody, you ain’t in danger, you’re confused. That isn’t something I can help you with, it’s something you need to work out on your own.”

Marie inhaled a shaky breath. “I know.”

“Good. Work it out, but in the meantime, don‘t let me catch you plottin‘ shit with that bitch again.”

Marie nodded. “So…are we okay?”

“We’ll see.”

She gave him a weak smile. “Fair enough.”

Their conversation was interrupted when Logan caught scent of rain and heard the clacking of small heels walking determinedly down the opposite hall. Wherever ‘Ro was headed, she was headed in a hurry--and she was anxious.

“You gonna be ok?” he asked Marie.

She shrugged. “Yeah. I think I‘m going to go find Bobby and have a talk.”

Logan watched her walk away for a moment, then headed in Ororo’s direction. “Hey!” he called when he caught sight of her snowcapped head.

She turned and waited for him. “Good, just the man I was looking for.”

He gave her a sly smile, hand on her hip. “Better be.”

She returned the smile, though hers was more tense. “We have a situation.”

The severity of her tone wiped the levity from him. “What’s up?”

Walking towards the rear of the Institute Ororo apprised Logan of everything Sean had told her. As she spoke Logan felt his pulse quicken and his adrenaline pump. His home, his territory, invaded. He growled.

Sensing his displeasure, Ororo placed her hand on his arm, absently rubbing, soothing.

“Logan.” Sean gave him a nod.

“’Ro says you spotted something’ you didn’t quite like.”

“That’d be the right of it. Something about it sits funny with me. Could be a couple o’ rebellious students, but I’d rather not take me chances, especially considering Theresa’s already been through enough.”

Ororo and Logan both nodded. Logan remembered all too well the terror the kids felt the night of Stryker’s attack. “Show me.”

Fifteen minutes later Logan had scouted the area, and logged away the unfamiliar scents he came across. Sean was right, whoever had been squatting in the woods wasn’t a teenager. Tobacco, sweat, gunpowder and traces of jerky were all military man give aways, but more than that--whoever it was, was smart enough not to close in too tight and trip the perimeter sensors.

“Well?” Ororo, hovering just above the tree line, watched the school and horizon like a hawk.

“No one goes out alone,” was Logan’s only response, and the only one Ororo needed to know that the threat was real. She lowered herself to the ground.

“The other day, at the mall, I thought I was being watched,” she told him.

“What?” Logan swung around, eyes narrowed. “And ya never thought to mention it?”

Ororo placed her hands on her hips. “As a matter of fact, no, I didn’t. I was distracted.”

“What the fuck kind of--oh.” Logan stopped, realizing just what had distracted her.

“Yeah, oh.” She gave him her haughtiest glare.

“Sorry, babe, I didn’t mean to--”

“Storm!”

They both whirled at Kitty’s frantic yell.

“Kitty, what is it?” Ororo asked, racing towards the girl.

“It’s Jimmy! There are some men here to take him away!”

Ororo’s eyes flashed stark white and thunder cracked like a whip in the heavens. “Like hell they are! Where’s Hank?”

“He’s with the men, going over some papers.” Kitty was near tears. “Storm, we can’t let them take him. We just can’t.”

“We won’t.” Ororo assured her, pulling her in for a hug. Over Kitty’s curls Ororo met Logan’s eyes, the look they exchanged was grave.

“Fly, I’ll catch up.”

Ororo nodded. Gripping Kitty around the waist she launched into the air, speeding towards the mansion.

“What’s goin’ on now?” Sean asked as Logan emerged from the wooded area.

Logan looked towards the mansion and the woman soaring above it. “Nothin’ good, I’m sure.” He began a jog after Ororo. After everything Ororo had gone through, Logan knew that she couldn’t lose Jimmy, it would destroy her.

Rain slammed into the ground with driving force. His jog became a flat out sprint.
Sixteen by windrider1
By the time Logan reached the back door of the Institute the driving rain that had plastered his clothes and hair to his skin had ceased completely. The strange quiet left in its wake made his hackles rise and a sense of foreboding seemed to settle over the mansion. He shook his head as he hurriedly strode the hall, sending a spray of cool droplets over the hardwood in a manner that was borderline canine.

Voices, all raised in agitation, reached his ears and his steps quickened to a jog. Rounding the corner Logan caught the scent of rising tension and the distinct tang of fear.

Ororo‘s voice cut sharply, “--Not to mention clearly delusional, Mr. Johansson if you think for one minute that Jimmy is leaving this school!” The bringer of storms stood in the center of the foyer, the boy in question behind her back, one arm hugging him to her as she glowered at the men standing just inside the entryway. Her posture was straight, not giving one inch, almost hard, but Logan saw her fingers gently squeeze Jimmy’s arm, soothing him. She was flanked by Henry, Kitty, Bobby and Peter. Each and everyone of them stood much as they did that fateful night on Alcatraz. United. A swell of pride and love rose within Logan, something that at one time would have felt completely foreign and unwanted, but now towed with it the fierce desire to protect what was his.

“You have no choice,” one of the men said, snapping Logan’s attention back to the intruders. The man speaking, Mr. Johansson apparently, was dressed in a grey pinstriped yuppy suit, neatly pressed and tidy, complete with thick black framed glasses, but the build beneath the tailored fabric and the manner in which he held himself, screamed of a man far more comfortable with violence than one with currying messages. He was flanked by two other men, each in suits, each with the same stone-cold looks upon their faces. These were not people who were going to be moved by an emotional entreaty. As if to punctuate that thought, Johansson spoke again.

“McCoy, it would behoove you to explain to your friend here what will happen if we have to resort to forcibly removing the boy.”

Ororo’s eyes hardened, their warm molasses gone nearly black, as if she dared any of them to try it. Restating her position and annoyed at the callous way the man referred to her charge, Ororo snapped, “Jimmy stays here.”

Logan, for his part, was not liking one damn bit the open animosity he scented coming from the men. He stalked the remaining distance to the group, careful to remain a few feet from where Ororo stood with Jimmy, his eyes watching every twitch the men made. His hands balled into fists, knuckles already itching.

“We have provided all of the legal documentation to Mr. McCoy, Ms. Munroe. He can verify that we have every right to remove the child. Given this school’s reputation we have also been allowed the liberty to retrieve the child by any means deemed fit.” There was no mistaking the threat.

Jimmy shuffled closer to Ororo, a tremble running through his small frame. “Storm…”

Ororo took a moment to compose herself before she turned and sent him a gentle smile over her shoulder. “It’ll be okay,” she whispered. She lifted her eyes to Logan and in their dark depths he saw her doubt. Ororo was afraid, and that did not sit well with him--not one bit.

“On what grounds is he being removed?” she demanded, retuning her attention to the men at the door. “This is a safe haven for mutants, surely you cannot presume you offer a better facility.”

“Not at all. In fact, you answered your own question. This is a safe haven for mutants and that child poses a threat to those around him here.” He pointed an accusatory finger at Jimmy. “He is to be removed for the continued well being of your other students. Surely you can’t think to put one child above all others.” There was a smug arrogance in the man’s tone.

Ororo snorted disdainfully. “Jimmy is no threat to anyone.”

Mr. Johansson actually smiled. “Wolverine, why not come stand beside your Headmistress and her young companion.”

Ororo winced imperceptibly as she was neatly routed into a corner. It was a request they somehow knew couldn’t be complied with. She shook her head and held up a pausing hand when Logan, despite the danger to himself, stepped forward.

Mr. Johansson‘s smile widened to a grin. “I didn’t think so. Now release the boy.”

She looked at Henry helplessly, her mouth going dry.

“Step in anytime here, Furball, and toss some of that UN weight around.” Logan prompted, his anger rising.

Henry adjusted his spectacles between thumb and forefinger, giving Ororo an apologetic look. He spoke reluctantly, obviously not wanting to deliver the news he had to. “I’m afraid the documentation is very thorough…and very legal.”

“This is such bullshit!” Kitty exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. She huffed a deep breath, obviously fighting back tears of frustration. Peter lay a broad hand on her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

Ororo was not about to give Jimmy up. She didn’t care if she was served a decree by God himself, Jimmy was not leaving…at least not alone. Without looking at Logan she stated, “I’m going with him.”

Logan’s head snapped around, his eyes narrowed on her averted face.

“I’m afraid that’s not possible.” Johansson rebuffed, completely unapologetic. “Given your extreme bias in this situation--”

“Extreme bias?” Ororo cut in, irked at the smooth smile the man bestowed upon her, as if it gave him great pleasure to thwart her.

Johansson continued as though she had not spoken. “It was deemed in the boys best interest to appoint a Guardian ad Litem that held no such bias, therefore; Bolivar Trask will be the child’s caretaker and make the decisions that best reflect the interests of the child.”

Visibly furious, Ororo opened her mouth, then closed it again, completely at a loss for the words to vent her frustration. She shook her head, anger welling up inside with such force she was thankful that Jimmy was buffering her powers, lest the mansion be torn up from the ground by an F5 tornado. Like that asshole Bolivar Trask had no bias when it came to Jimmy, or mutants in general, she thought viciously.

Flatly, her voice far more calm than she felt, Ororo said, “Lies.”

Johansson met her eyes and in them saw her resolve. This was a woman that would face the worst they could throw at her and keep coming. Inside he felt an excited tingle of anticipation; knowing the worst was yet to come, and he was suddenly eager for it.

Logan scented the shift in the man and his hackles rose further still. He growled, low in his throat, a sub-vocal warning, drawing several wary eyes his way. He smiled, but there was no humor in the sardonic twist of his lips; it was the taunting smile of a predator. They were eager for a conflict and he’d be only too happy to oblige.

That chilling grin should have made everyone’s blood run cold, and for the most part it did, but Ororo suddenly wished she were in Logan’s arms. His dangerous nature, though unpredictable, didn’t frighten her. It never really had. He was impulsive and volatile at times, but so too was the weather, and that’s where the mystery and beauty lay. She felt the familiar stirrings in her heart when she looked at him. He was her partner.

Sensing her as acutely as any telepath he sent her a small nod of reassurance. Whatever call she made, he’d back up one hundred percent.

“Again, I must caution you against the use of violence, as we will retaliate full measure.”

The man directly to Johansson’s right mouthed an order into his shoulder, presumably where a radio lay. Immediately Logan and Hank heard the faint thum-thump of helicopter rotor blades. Reinforcements were inbound.

Hank gripped Ororo’s shoulder, his eyes solemn and saddened by the knowledge that there was nothing they could do at the moment, short of full out combat, to prevent the men from taking Jimmy from the school. “Ororo…”

She shook her head. She would refuse, she would fight, she would not give him up--

“It’s ok, Storm,” Jimmy’s quiet voice drew her attention. He moved away from his protector. “I don’t want any more fighting.” His wide, innocent eyes shone with certainty and misery. “No more people can die because of me, ok?”

“Jimmy--”

“It’s ok,” he restated, stepping towards the men in the doorway. “I’ll be ok.” His voice shook.

Ororo’s hand closed in on itself, tears shimmering in her eyes. She took a steadying breath, knelt and pulled Jimmy back into her arms. “I’ll be coming for you,” she whispered for only him to hear. “Count on that.” She felt his small nod of acquiesce. Rising she held Jimmy’s hand. “I’ll walk him out.”

Kitty made a small choked sound in her throat, turning her head into Peter’s broad shoulder.

“I’ll start making phone calls,” Henry stated. “This isn’t over, I am certain there are several Supreme Court Justices that would be interested to hear about this blatant disregard to civil rights and liberties.”

Johansson’s smirk never faltered. “By all means, Mr. McCoy, rattle your saber and pound your drums. In the meantime, we’ll be taking the boy.” He reached for Jimmy only to have Ororo step in front of him.

“I said I would walk him out.” Her tone was ice.

Johansson made a sweeping gesture with his arm. “After you.”

Outside, on the stone steps of the Institute, Ororo had the near overwhelming desire to bolt with Jimmy in tow, but knew the results of that hasty action would be disastrous. Instead she slowly walked the distance to the parking lot and helped Jimmy into one of two Jeeps idling there. Once he was secured and buckled she gave him a long look, her eyes boring into his. “You’ll be back home before you know it.” He tried for a smile and looked away. Heartbroken, she closed the door.

“You’re cooperation is appreciated.”

Her teeth ground together at that smug, arrogant voice. She whipped her head around, stalking towards Trask’s agent. “Know this, Mr. Johansson,” she practically growled. “If that little boy comes into any harm, in any way, I will come after you, and I will retaliate full measure,” she spat his own words back at him. She jutted her index finger in his direction, her eyes swirling white and a snippet of lightning dancing across her knuckles. “There won’t be a hole deep enough for you to hide in.”

“Is that a threat upon my person, Ms. Munroe?”

“It’s a God-damn guarantee,” Logan snarled, stalking up behind the agent.

“Until we meet again,” Johansson tipped his head in mock civility before climbing into the Jeep.

Ororo stood, ramrod straight and vigilant, watching until the vehicles had disappeared beyond the gates. Only when the last taillight had vanished did she allow herself to slump, taking refuge in Logan’s warm embrace.

Wrapping his thick arms around her, Logan held her close against his chest. “Easy, darlin’.”

“They took him.” Her voice broke. “I promised him I would always keep him safe and they took him.”

“We’ll get him back.” Logan buried his face into the snowy crown of her hair, his gut tight, knowing she was hurting and there was nothing he could do to ease her. Helplessness never set well with him. He pressed his lips to her ear, whispering promises to retrieve Jimmy.

A short throat clearing broke them apart. “I know this isn’t the best time t’ be remindin’ ye, but I think I found some more tracks around the school.” Sean ruffled his red hair with one hand, looking both conciliatory and worried.

Ororo lifted her head, once more all business. Her knack for quick composure never failed to impress and annoy Logan. “Did any of the men smell--”

“No,” Logan cut in, shaking his head. “It wasn’t anyone here just now. Don’t mean they ain’t a part of it, but none of them was the squatter.”

“How many people are out t’ get at this school?” Sean asked, more to himself than anyone, yet Logan answered in the most eloquent way possible.

“Too fuckin’ many.”

~X~


Bolivar Trask sat in his factory’s modified “Situation Room”, waiting for the phone call confirming the extraction of young Jimmy from the Xavier Institute. He had to admit a certain level of anxiety and anticipation regarding that call. The moment he received that confirmation he would set phase two of his plan into motion while the X-Men were still reeling.

To bide his time meanwhile he observed the wall monitors that lined his office, each screen portraying various floors of his factory and the workers in it. Dark eyes skimmed the screens and stopped on the deck 5 monitor. Bill Thompson was once more taking a cigarette break, three others on the same team of men were playing cards on the cement floor and yet another was chatting on his cell phone.

Trask’s brow furrowed in displeasure. He was a man of meticulous planning and high expectations, he could ill afford a few lackeys to interfere with his progress. With an angry jerk he yanked the intercom phone from the wall, barking, “Thompson! My office, now!”

Below the burly worker jumped, swore and snuffed his cigarette with his boot. A minute later he arrived in Trask’s office with a hesitant knock and wary look. “You wanted to see me?”

Trask didn‘t bother to turn around. “You’re fired.”

“Excuse me?” Thompson blinked several times. “Fired?”

Trask barely spared him a glance over his shoulder. “Yes, fired. I cannot abide a lack in leadership or a lazy crew, and you have both.”

Thompson spluttered. “What the hell? Just because I took a smoke break?”

“Seven.”

“What?”

“You’ve taken seven smoke breaks in the span of three hours,” responded Trask, turning to fully face his employee.

Thompson shook his head. “Bullshit.”

“You’re questioning the validity of my statement?”

“Damn right.” Thompson answered, seemingly ignorant to the flickering screens around him.

Trask tisked and gestured towards his many monitors. “Technology gives me the advantage of multiple perspectives and round the clock observation. I was merely going to fire you and see to it you were escorted from the property, however, your obvious ignorance leads me to believe you may not be able to keep your mouth shut about the goings on within this building.”

Sensing an upper hand Thompson puffed his chest. “Damn straight. You fire me and I’ll go straight to the papers and the tv people, telling‘ them about yer giant robots.”

“How unfortunate.” Trask’s mellow comment belied the violence of his next action. With a fluidity that defied his stature Trask moved across the room, gripped Thompson on either side of his head and gave a vicious twist, snapping the hefty man’s neck with a sharp crack. He grabbed several Kleenex from the box on his desk, wiping the other man’s sweat from his palms. Satisfied, he once more picked up the intercom phone. What was the name of Thompson’s second in command? Ah, yes, Jameson. “Jameson, my office.”

Fifteen minutes later the newly prompted Jameson was en route to a narrow, twisting road where Thompson would have a very unfortunate car accident breaking the poor man’s neck.

Back in the Situation Room the phone rang.



~X~





Ororo’s eyes glowed, casting eerie shadows across her face in the dimly lit bedroom. Her hair stirred, ruffled by a breeze only she felt. She had long since passed the point of pissed and was now stewing in a realm of furious that Logan recognized only too well. It was a place that he had never been comfortable with in himself and it was damn sure disconcerting watching Ororo battle it within herself.

He stepped fully into the room, closing the door behind him. “Here. Drink this.”

Ororo gave the mug in his hand a fleeting look before resuming her pacing.

He placed the untouched steaming cup of tea on the bedside table before taking a seat on the edge of the bed, eyes solemn, following her movements. He watched her run her hands through her already disheveled hair, watched the tense way she walked, her normal grace gone in her agitation, and watched as her chin buckled every so often when the hurt became a little too much.

He wanted to kiss her, to hold her, to make her ache go away. It was almost comical, he was sure Scott would have found the whole thing amusing. Logan turned all Boy Scout. How cute.

“He’s just a boy,” she ranted. “A boy who has already seen too much violence and death in his life and been caged and hunted far too long. Did you hear the way they talked about him? As if he was an object, not a person.”

Logan braced himself on the mattress, his hands on either side of his body, her words hitting a little too close to personal. Ororo’s eyes went white again and he jerked a bit as her temper flared and small sparks of lightning flitted over her hair. Within the confines of her room there was a distinct rumble of thunder bringing him back from the loneliness her words conjured up.

He stood, placing his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to halt. He touched her cheek gently, lifting her face. “’Ro.”

She shook her head, too close to cracking. “No, I need to stay angry. I can‘t believe I just stood there.”

“There was nothing’ ya could’ve done, darlin’. You know as well as I do those fuckwads wouldn’t have held back because of the kids. “

She closed her eyes and sighed. “He trusted me to take care of him.”

“Stop doin’ this to yourself. You did everything you could have done.”

She took a step away from him. “Did I?”

“Yes.”

She knew he was right, but that didn’t prevent her insides from tightening with guilt and regret. “Where the hell is Henry?” she demanded. “He should have heard something by now.”

“I have.”

Henry stood in the doorway, his expression grim.

“Well?”

“Out with it.” Logan and Ororo spoke in unison.

“It would appear that Bolivar Trask has managed to pocket several judges, one in particular a rather high ranking official.”

“What does that mean for us?” Ororo wanted to know.

“It means that Trask has his bases covered.” Henry sighed, rubbing his nose. “And it will take me some time to cut through all of the red tape the man has thrown up in our way.”

Logan snarled. “And while you’re snipping through bureaucratic bullshit, what about Jimmy?”

“I’m afraid Trask will retain custody.”

Ororo shook her head. “No, there has to be something we can do.”

“Unfortunately our hands are tied.”

“No,” Logan corrected. “Your hands are tied. Mine, conveniently enough, are free.”

Henry gave him a rueful smile. “Even if we were so inclined to let you loose on Trask, we have no idea where he has taken our young friend.”

Faced with that undisputable fact, Logan let out a growl. “Well, fuck.”

“Well, fuck, indeed,” Henry echoed.

“I don’t understand. What does Trask want with Jimmy? Without Worthington labs and their technology, it’s not like they can harvest the cure any longer.” Ororo demanded. “So what? What’s the purpose of taking him?”

“I do not have that answer, my dear, but I can assure you that Bolivar Trask is not a man who makes rash actions. He has a purpose for Jimmy, of that I am certain. Only time will tell us what it is.”

Ororo sank onto the bed, her hands closed in helpless fists. “In the meantime, Jimmy is somewhere out there all alone.”

All three fell silent, each knowing there was nothing more to say. The stark, hard truth of the matter was, for the first time in as long as they could recall, they had lost a battle.

“I’m not giving up,” Ororo whispered with the iron will power she was known for.

Logan sat beside her, wrapping an arm across her shoulder. “None of us are, ‘Ro. Ain’t that right, McCoy?”

“You may rely on it,” Hank confirmed.

***


She couldn’t sleep.

Ororo sat up in her bed, sighing into the darkness. She flicked the covers back.

“’Ro…?”

“I’m just getting a glass of water. Go back to sleep.”

Logan snorted. Like he was sleeping any more than she was. He yawned, stretching his arms over his head. He froze mid stretch. “’Ro.”

She wrapped her small robe around herself. “Hm?”

He eased himself fully into a seated position. “We’ve got company.”

Eyebrows met hairline. “What?”

“Outside. I smell six.”

Ororo trusted his instincts unquestioningly, but had to ask, “They wouldn’t be foolish enough to attack us again--”

The sound of an explosion cut off the remainder of her sentence.
Seventeen by windrider1
Before the reverberation of the explosion had time to fully echo across the mansion, Logan was in motion. In one smooth, predatorily graceful maneuver he was off the bed, one arm snaked around Ororo’s middle, his broad shoulders blocking her view as he edged her backwards towards the wall, instinctively using himself as cover for her. Shards of glass rained across the bedroom, tinkering onto the floor and gouging deep cuts into Logan’s back as another blast shook the grounds causing the windows to implode.

“Sonuvabitch!” He pulled Ororo’s head into his neck, covering her as best he could. “Are you hurt?” Logan demanded the second his ears stopped ringing. His hands roamed across her head and shoulders, assuring himself that she was unharmed.

“I’m fine,” she replied. “What about you?” She pulled a sliver of glass from the thick flesh of his bicep, causing him to wince. She sent it skittering across the floor with the rest of the debris.

“I’ve lived through worse.” He straightened away from the wall, sniffing the air. “Be back.” With that he pressed a hard kiss to her lips and tore off towards her balcony, leaping the distance to the ground without so much as a stagger to slow him down; heedless of the fact that he had only his checkered boxers for cover.

Ororo shook her head, both marveling and fuming over his reckless, headlong rushes into danger. The majority of the time the man emerged without a scratch on him, only his clothes the worse for wear, but that fact alone was not enough to staunch the worry seeping through her veins.

“Storm! Help!” Students’ frantic calls could be heard in the hallway, snatching her attention from her musing. Tearful whimpering was followed by the voices of some of the older students trying to reign in the younger, scared ones.

With one last quick glance over her shoulder Ororo jerked open her bedroom door and strode out into the hall. Emergency generators had already kicked in, and thankfully they weren’t stranded by the darkness. With her acclaimed cool and efficiency she immediately set about the task of soothing and tending her charges. “Everyone stay calm! Stick together. Everything will be all right. Kitty,” She grabbed the young woman as she passed her.

“Yeah?” The young brunette was clearly ruffled, but admirably composed.

“Start a headcount for me.” A quick visual count assured Storm that most, if not all, of the students would be accounted for, but she wanted to be certain.

“On it!”

Next Ororo flagged down their resident behemoth. “Peter!”

The tall Russian stepped forward. “Da?”

“Secure the front doors and check the lobby for any wandering students, or unwanted guests.”

A single nod, a ripple of steel, and he was off.

Bobby came towards her, shouldering his way through the scared throng of students amassed in the hallway, followed closely by Marie. “What can we do?”

“Start herding everyone to the lower levels.” She paused, worry creasing her brow. She surveyed the group. “Where the hell is Hank?”

Marie shook her head. “We didn’t see him when we came up.”

Ororo digested that. “Get everyone into the lower levels. Tell Sean to safeguard the Danger Room.” She was already heading towards the offices.

“What about you?” Bobby called after her.

“Storm can handle herself, Bobby. Let’s do as she says and get these kids to safety.” Marie urged him, her voice stronger than he’d heard it in a while, her demeanor fierce.

“You can take the powers out of the mutant, but can’t take the X-Man out of the girl,” he quipped with a smirk.

Marie elbowed him, but her telltale blush told him she took his words as complimentary. Hands interlaced they began shepherding the students down the emergency stairwell.

“Hank!” Ororo jogged down the main stairwell, her pace indicative of her worry. “Hank!” She spotted a light streaming from his ajar office door. “Henry!” She broke into a run, shoving the door open with her shoulder, prepared to fend off any would-be attackers.

There were none, but the scene that greeted her said there had been. On the floor, a pool of blood seeping from an open scalp laceration, Hank McCoy lay groaning, and barely conscious. “Oh, God.” Ororo dropped to her knees, checking her friend‘s pulse.

“Nnnn…Storm…?”

“Yeah, Big Blue, it’s me.” Satisfied that his wound was fairly superficial and non-fatal, Ororo rocked back on her heels surveying the tossed office. “What happened?”

“Raven…attacked me…my-my files…” Hank lifted on hand weakly in the direction of his adjacent room.

Ororo swore, bolting to her feet. She knew, without entering the normally secured room, that she was too late. Raven, and the X-Men files, were long gone. “Shit, shit, shit!” She dug her hands into her hair, frustration causing the air surrounding her to crackle; alive with sparks of electricity. She slammed the open safe door shut, the metal clanging. One glance at the mockingly blank screen of Henry’s computer monitor told her that her fears were accurate.

All of their files were gone. Every danger room session, every counseling session with Xavier, every strength and weakness that made up the X-Men; gone. She felt an involuntary, bone-chilling shiver of dread from her head to her feet.

Hearing Henry’s muted groan Ororo hurriedly returned to his main office to find him struggling to sit up.

“Did she get them?” he asked, visually upset, swaying slightly.

She helped him to his feet. “Yes.”

“Damn it.” He shook his head as though to clear it. “I’m so sorry, Ororo, if I hadn‘t insisted she stay here--”

She held up one hand, eyes rimmed arctic white. “Save the apologies for later. Get yourself to the med-lab and take care of that cut.”

“Where are you headed?”

“Me? I’m going to find that bitch.”


~X~



Smoldering bricks lay scattered across the courtyard, chunks of pavement and soil torn up from the ground by the force of impact. Logan crouched, fingertips following the subtle shape of the ground, calculating the trajectory of the explosion with an instinct and training he cared not to dwell on.

He tilted his head back, inhaling the night air. The faint smell of gunpowder hung heavy. Not professional, whoever they were. Professionals didn’t use such archaic explosive methods. Or, at least they didn’t want to appear professional. He wasn’t foolish enough to assume anything.

One hand released the metal weapons housed beneath the skin. Logan prowled along the drive, listening for any sounds that may indicate he wasn’t alone, but he suspected the perps long gone. The moment his bare feet had struck ground after he leapt from the balcony he had heard tires squealing.

He moved purposefully towards the iron gates. The undamaged iron gates. Someone had let the attackers in and he didn’t need three guesses to figure out who it had been. “Mystique,” he growled, anger causing the timbre of his voice to become more snarl than anything. He took a deep breath, cataloguing the scents, detecting the faint, but discernable aroma that was the former blue mutant confirming his suspicion.

“Logan!”

He turned to see Storm approaching. With her halo of white hair, flowing nightdress and eyes illuminating the dark, she looked very much like a mythical deity. It was a wonder it had taken him so long to see her, he thought, watching the graceful sway of her hips.

“Looks like Mystique made a breakout,” he informed her.

She stopped a few feet from him, tension oozing from her every pore. “Yes. Raven attacked Henry and made off with some files.”

Logan growled again. “The Fur-ball--?”

“Henry is fine.” She assured him. “Any sign of them?”

“No. I’m guessing it was a quick distract and run job.” He stated as matter of fact. “She’s probably long gone.”

One slender hand pressed against her forehead. “It never ends,” she whispered. “It’s always something.”

Logan reached for her. “Hey, hey,” he tugged her gently into his arms. “C’mere.”

Ororo allowed herself to take a momentary solace against Logan’s warmth. She tucked her head under his chin, listening to the steady thrum of his heart. “I’ve got to protect them, Logan. It’s my job to protect them.”

“And you do it well,” he told her.

She made a sound that seemed trapped between laugh and hiccup. “Ha! They got to Jimmy. They attacked our home.” She stepped out of the protective circle of his arms. “I’m tired of running from these people; of hiding from them. Terrified of when the next attack will come.”

Something in her voice made him wary. “What’re ya sayin’ ’Ro?”

“I’m saying Raven was the last straw. I’m saying I want Jimmy back. I’m saying I want anyone that does harm to this school to be sorry they crawled their way out of their mother’s womb.” Each word dripped with icy resolve. “I’ll find whoever helped Mystique and the people that have Jimmy if I have to tear the entire city apart to do it.”

Logan nearly laughed. Damn, she could be downright terrifying when she wanted to be. No wonder Charles had trusted his school into her care. “Babe, you’re angry, with definite reason to be, but I don’t think you wanna do anything hasty like plow through an entire city just to find some assholes.”

Ororo cocked her head at him, one brow arched, and a hint of humor in her flickering eyes. “Is the unpredictable, fly-off-the-handle-fight-on-a-whim Wolverine trying to talk reason into me?”

He shrugged, giving her a gentle brush across her hair. “Naw. Just thinkin’ about the liability claims we’d bury Fur-Ball in.”

“Uh-huh.” Ororo felt some of the tension leave her shoulders. Who knew Logan could be so…endearing?

Seeing the slight curve of her lips Logan asked, “What’re ya thinkin’?”

She shook her head. “Nothing.” She linked her fingers through his. “Let’s get back inside. I’d like to get the students settled and back in their rooms and put you in some pants so that we can focus on finding Mystique.” She gave his boxers a pointed glance.

He winked at her. “Y’know, most women try to get me out of my pants.”

Ororo rolled her eyes, but found it hard to fight her grin. “I’m not most women.”

He cupped her cheek, bending his head so that his lips breathed across hers. “No. You aren’t.”

Despite the chaos of the evening, being with Logan, having him tease her, having him touch her, made her feel right. Ororo smiled as familiar warmth tingled through her body at the stroke of his lips, then, to her shock and horror, that warmth was replaced by horrible, excruciating pain.

Logan jerked, startled when Ororo’s knees buckled and she sagged against him, a small gasp of air her only sound of distress. “’Ro!” He grabbed her, keeping her from hitting the pavement. Warm stickiness coated his hands and for a fraction of a second time froze and he stood completely confused, then in a blink everything fast forwarded, ramming senses together. A whisper of sound; a whistle on the wind; metal meeting flesh; the smell of blood.

Sniper.

“No! No! No!” Logan grappled with Ororo’s limp form, hauling her towards the safety of the Institute, shielding her as he had done in the bedroom. He expected more shots to be fired, but to his relief, and later fury, none were. He swore, violently. Positioned as they were he couldn’t move her as quickly as he needed to. With a grimace he shifted Ororo’s weight, pulling her tight to his side, wrapping one of his arms across her back, and pulling her arm around his neck, and shackling the wrist with his hand.

“Logan…” Her voice was strained, edged with pain.

Blood coated his forearm. He forcibly repressed a sound that was painfully close to a howl. “Hang on, baby. Please. Almost there.” Never had the driveway to Xavier’s appeared so long and twisted. The short walk up the hill seemed to take forever.

“Ororo, are you with me?”

She made a muffled sound against his shoulder.

“Ok, we’re at the steps. Here we go.” He turned them so that he was using his torso to hold as much of her weight as possible. He stumbled backwards through the foyer door, with Ororo sprawled across his chest. “HAAAAAANK!”

Peter Rasputin stepped down from the stairwell. “Storm!”

“Where the fuck is Hank? Find him! Find him right fuckin‘ now!” Logan demanded, choking back another grief stricken sound of rage and fear.

Peter took off running.

Logan pressed his lips to Ororo’s head. “Baby, you still with me?”

He felt her small nod. “Sh-shouldn’t…yell…at Peter…”

Of course she’d reprimand him for that. “He’s a big boy,” he murmured. She was sweating profusely but he could feel the shivers wracking her body. She was going into shock.

Rage threatened to consume him, and would have, had she not needed him.

Her fingers twitched involuntarily. “So…weak…hurts…” She sagged further.

Logan tightened his hold. “Hang on to me, okay, darlin’. Just hold onto me.” He shifted again, blood causing his arm to slip. She cried out. He felt hot tears scald his cheeks. “I’m sorry,” he said. “So fuckin’ sorry.”

Where the hell was Hank?

The elevator doors dinged open. “Logan!” A head bandaged Henry emerged, followed by Peter pushing a stretcher. “What happened?”

“She was shot,” Logan ground out. “Fuckin’ cowards shot her in the back!”

Henry looked appalled. “Quickly, get her on the stretcher. Lay her on her left side.”

Logan hated to move her again, but knew he had to. “Ok, ‘Ro, I’m going to lift you up.”

No response. Her breathing was shallow and he could hear how thready her pulse was.

Logan felt icy fingers of fear grip his heart. He lifted her as gently as he could, laying her on the stretcher, giving him his first real look at her wound. Crimson stained the back of her gown, soaking the material, causing it to cling to her skin. A broken sound escaped his throat.

He touched his fingertips to her cheek, withdrawing his hand immediately when he realized it was covered in her blood. “Please,” he whispered. Please, what, he didn’t know, all he knew was he was willing to beg for her to be all right.

“Logan, step back.” Henry ordered, his tone crisp and efficient. “We need to get her to the med-lab. She’ll want you by her side, I’m sure.”

There was no way he wouldn’t be there. “Someone needs to do a sweep of the grounds-“

“I will,” Peter volunteered. He rippled steel once more. “Let them take a shot at me.”

Logan nodded curtly, acknowledging the younger man, but his eyes never left Ororo.

“Here we go,” Henry pulled his end of the stretcher towards the elevator doors.


~X~




“What in hell were you thinking?” Bolivar Trask demanded.

One raven’s wing dark eyebrow rose. “What?”

“Killing one of the X-Men was not in the plan!”

Raven Darkholme shrugged her shoulders, the thin straps of her blood red dress slipping down her arms. “I can’t believe you of all people are complaining that I decided to get rid of Storm.”

Trask gave her a hard look. “It’s not the fact that you took her out, Raven, it’s the consequences of that action that I will hold you personally responsible for.”

She seemed unconcerned. “What consequences?”

Bolivar poured himself a drink. “You just severed the only tether we had keeping the Wolverine in check.”

Raven snorted. “You think anyone can keep that man on a leash?”

Bolivar lowered his glass. “She could.”

Raven’s eyes narrowed. “Well, now she’s dead.”

“You seem inordinately pleased with that fact, Raven. Your petty jealousy may very well have jeopardized my future plans.”

“Whatever.” She uncrossed her long legs and stood. “I held up my end of the deal.” She gestured to the files and disks on his desk. “Now you keep yours. Give me the antidote.”

A cruel smile twisted Bolivar’s lips. “Why on earth would I do that?”

Raven blinked, anger simmering in her blue eyes. “Because that was our deal. I got you inside information on Xavier’s little helpers and now you give me the antidote to the Cure.”

“I don’t think so.”

“I am not a woman you want to double cross, Trask.”

“Oh, believe me, I know.”

“Then give me the goddamn antidote!”

“I’m afraid that’s just not possible.”

“Give it to me!” She nearly shouted.

Bolivar took another drink. “I would, dear, dear Raven, if there was one.”

In that moment Raven realized that she had been truly and well played. “You bastard.”

“And then some,” he acknowledged.

“I should kill you where you stand,” she swore.

“If I were you, I would be very nice to me, Raven.” He smiled solicitously. “After all, I’m the only friend you’ve got.”

~X~


“We need to transport her to a hospital.” Henry pulled off his surgical mask and tugged at his gloves. “The bullet is lodged too deep. I can’t get it on my own.” His eyes showed weary sadness. “Without Charles or Jean to assist, I’m afraid I’ll do more damage than good.”

Logan gave Ororo’s still form a lingering look. “Is she stable enough for transport?”

Henry avoided answering directly. “She’s a strong woman.”

Logan didn’t miss the evasiveness of that answer. He lifted Ororo’s hand to his lips. “She’s a fighter. She’ll pull through.” He refused to believe anything else.

Across the stretcher Henry began to pray.
Eighteen by windrider1
He hated the smell of hospitals.

The stringent scent of antiseptic brought forth fragments of a past he had yet to piece together, along with the lingering pain and hostility from those experiences that continuously drifted on the rim of his consciousness.

The tang of chemicals and anesthesia stung his eyes, clung to the back of his throat, making him want to gag. His nostrils flared and muscles corded with tension. To say hospitals put him on edge was a severe understatement. He was teetering on the edge now, but for the woman down the hall he would suffer the uncomfortable scents and fragmented shards of past piercing his brain. For her, he would suffer anything.

He took a shuddering breath, forking fingers through disarrayed locks. She couldn’t die. He couldn’t lose her. He just…couldn’t. Losing her would destroy any vestige of good left in him… Losing her would kill his humanity.

He took another deep breath. And another.

It didn’t help.

“Here. You look like you could use this.”

Logan spun on his heel; the fact that anyone could sneak up on him testament to how distracted he was. In the private waiting room entryway Marie stood, a steaming Styrofoam cup outstretched towards him. Her eyes were red and puffy and he could detect the saline in the air; physical manifestations of her sadness.

His eyes took in her overall appearance and the slightly guarded way she held herself. It was more than coffee she was offering, he knew. It was a peace offering. An apology. And maybe even a prayer rolled into a Styrofoam cup.

He stepped forward and took the cup. “Thanks, kid.” He swallowed the bitter, day old coffee without really tasting it.

Marie removed her wool overcoat, placing it across the back of one of the empty chairs. “Any news?”

“No.” He swallowed more of the stale coffee, closing his eyes.

“Storm is strong, Logan. She’ll pull through. ” Marie echoed Henry’s earlier prediction. “She’s the strongest woman I know. Determined. Stubborn. Tenacious. She doesn’t know the meaning of the word defeat.”

Logan stared into the black liquid, his breathing slightly irregular.

As though unsure of what to do with her hands, Marie began to rub them against one another. “So…would you…uhm…like me to wait with you?”

Bleary gray eyes met teary hazel ones. Despite the recent unsettling between them, Logan knew it was this girl that had brought him hope; had given him his first reason to love again. Whether she knew it or not, Marie would always hold a special place in his heart, one that engraved and not easily eroded. “Yeah.”

She sat.

They waited.

~X~


The sun was bright, it’s rays illuminating the vast green acres of manicured lawn and hedge work, but it was not warm.

Ororo strolled the cobblestone garden path, her fingers lazily brushing across the soft blooms of Charles’ prized roses, stirring the petals, but eliciting no scent. No breeze ruffled her hair, no bees buzzed her ears. All was still.

Eerily still and silent.

Unnatural.

She knew she wasn’t supposed to be here now, but she wasn’t sure exactly where she was supposed to be. So, she walked. The cobblestone path was as she remembered, winding through the sculpted bushes, leading her to her family’s resting place.

Slowly she rounded the hedged bushes, entering the small cemetery enclosed by the living walls of the garden.

“Hello, Ororo.”

Jean Grey stood in front of her tombstone, looking every bit as lovely as Ororo remembered her; long flowing red hair, vivid green eyes, alabaster skin and of course, Scott faithfully at her side. They were both dressed in their X-men uniforms-- and that somehow seemed fitting.

Ororo should have been surprised. She wasn’t. “Jean! Scott!”

The couple moved to embrace her, circling her in their arms and suddenly Ororo felt …warmth, safety, comfort. She buried her face in Jean’s long red tresses, inhaling her fresh lilac shampoo. Just like she remembered.

“I’ve missed you,” she whispered. She kissed Scott’s cheek, feeling the stubble against her lips, the warmth of his skin.

“Ditto,” he squeezed her hands, his smile broad across his handsome face.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to miss us for awhile longer,” Jean informed her with a compassionate smile. “You can‘t stay here too long, you still have work to do.”

Ororo grimaced slightly. “I can feel myself being pulled away from here already.”

“The doctors are determined to bring you back.” Scott informed her.

“Bring me back? Am I dead?”

“Not quite…”


~X~


“BP dropping… 85 over 15... We’re losing her!”

Hank closed his eyes. “Come on, Ororo…Stay with us.”

~X~


Ororo cocked her head, listening. She swore someone just said her name. She shrugged dismissing it before regarding Jean and Scott once more. “I know we’re not really at the school, so, where are we?”

“Neither here nor there.” Jean answered with a vague wave of her hand.

Ororo snorted. “That’s not the most comforting answer.”

“She likes to be mysterious.” Scott added affectionately.

“Sorry.” Jean replied with genuine sympathy. “But it’s the only answer I can provide.”

Scott kissed Ororo’s cheek and stepped back to Jean’s side, wrapping his arm around her waist. “Your struggles aren’t over yet, Storm, but just remember to keep strong. No matter what happens, keep strong. You‘re an X-Man. It‘s what we do.”

Ororo felt another pull, but warded off returning just yet. “I am really not liking the sounds of that.”

Jean nodded and there was a flash of gold in her green eyes. “You have overcome so much, dear sister, and yet, sadly, there is so much more…” She glanced at Scott. As if taking some unsaid cue he grinned at Ororo once more and slowly began to fade away.

Ororo lifted her hand and waved farewell.

Once he was gone, Jean sighed, her gaze solemn. “It was enough,” she said quietly.

Ororo tilted her head, confused. “Jean?”

Jean laid one hand flat against her own memorial. “Not too long ago, in this very spot, you called me an ungrateful bitch, saying that the love you all gave me was never enough for me…but it was. It was more than enough.”

Ororo cringed, recalling her drunken tirade. “Jean--”

The redhead smiled gently. “Don’t apologize, Storm. You had every right to be angry… you still do if you choose.”

“No. I’ve forgiven you.”

“And yourself?” Jean knew her too well.

“…Yes...”

“Logan… helped with that.”

Ororo felt herself flush. “Yes, he did.”

“He’s been very good for you.” There was a trace of wistfulness in Jean’s voice. “He needs you.”

“I need him too,” Ororo confessed. “I love him.”

Jean nodded, turning to stare up at the sky. “I know you do. Hold onto that love, Ororo. In the future, when all seems lost, hold onto that.”

There it was again, that enigmatic phrasing that Ororo loathed so much. Charles used to do it to her all the time, and it seemed a trait he had passed onto his number one student. “Jean?”

“It’s time for you to go now.”

“Wait, Jean, what did you mean when it all seems lost--?”

“I love you, Ororo.” Jean blew her a kiss.

“Jean! Wait! Jean!”

“Be strong.”

“Jean! Wait! Where’s Charles? Can I see him before I go?”

Jean’s smile was mysterious as she faded away.




~X~


Logan’s head snapped up the moment he caught Henry’s scent. He stood abruptly, knocking empty Styrofoam cups haphazardly to the floor. Fifteen hours had passed like a hundred years and he was impatient for the results of Ororo‘s surgery. “How is she?” he demanded before Henry had even crossed the threshold.

Removing his surgical mask, weariness oozing from his every pore, Henry breathed a heavy sigh. “It was touch and go for awhile,” he reported softly, rubbing the bridge of his nose as was his habit when stressed. “Her injuries are significant. The bullet was lodged deep between two vertebrae. These next few hours will be critical.”

“But she’s gonna be okay?” Marie inquired. She sat up slowly from her curled position in one of the chairs, where she’d been dozing. “Right?”

Henry spared her a tender look. “Ororo is not out of the woods yet, Marie. She is critical but stable.”

“Stable is good though,” Marie said optimistically. She placed her hand on Logan’s back, to assure him of her presence should he need her.

Henry knew that Logan needed hope more than anything at that moment so he conceded, “Yes, Marie, stable is good.”

Logan exhaled the breath he was holding. “When can I see her?”

“Normally they don’t let any visitors in during this critical time, but I believe having you near her will be more beneficial to both of you than keeping you waiting out here. She’s in a secluded room down the hall. 516B.”

Logan was already heading towards the door. He stopped; turned. “Thanks for the company, kiddo.”

Marie wiped her eyes. “Anytime. Now go and see your woman,” she said tearfully.

He needed no further urging. He turned and jogged down the hall.

Marie glanced over towards Henry. “Is she really going to be all right?”

Henry‘s eyes never quite met hers. “Only time will tell.”


~X~


The room was dim, shades drawn and lights low. Logan made his way unerringly to the small, railed bed, his throat tightening when he caught sight of Ororo’s pasty complexion and limp form. She looked… he didn’t even want to think the word. If not for the incessant blip of her heart monitor he may have panicked.

“Hey, darlin’.” He encased her slender hand in his. With that single hand she could wield thunderstorms forceful enough to wreck a building; lightening that could scorch the flesh from bone and yet nothing had ever felt so frail in his grip. “I’m right here waitin’ for you to wake up.”

Her fingers twitched.

Logan bent his head forward, forcibly choking back his anger and anguish. He never should have let his guard down. He never should have broken protocol. He wouldn’t make the same mistake twice. He’d protect her. He’d protect her with his dying breath if need be. Never again would he risk losing her.

“Never again,” he vowed out loud.


***


Her throat was sore. That was the first thing she noticed. The second thing she became aware of was Logan. Seated directly beside her bed, his smile was one of such joy and tenderness that she thought she was probably delusional from the drugs.

“Hey,” he said by way of greeting, bringing her fingertips to his lips.

“Hi.” Her brow furrowed, trying to focus. She felt drained. Sore. Stiff. “How long have I been out?”

“Couple days.”

She took in his rumpled clothing and shadowed features. “You’ve been here this whole time?”

He shrugged. “Nowhere else to be.”

Ororo blinked slowly, then rapidly, still trying to focus.

“You ok, darlin’?”

“Headache.”

“I’ll get the doctor--”

“No.” She halted him. “Just… stay with me.”

He sat back down. His eyes were gravely serious when he said, “I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For not anticipating an attack, for not protecting you--”

She was already shaking her head. “Logan, hush. I’m a big girl, and an X-Man. I can look after myself--well, uh, normally. So hush. This is in no way your fault.” She struggled to lift her head. “Ugh.” She grimaced, closing her eyes.

“’Ro-”

She shook her head slightly. “I’m fine, just a little woozy.”

“You need to rest.”

She gave him a one eyed look. “I think I’ve rested enough.”

“I ain’t having you over-do anything.”

“Worry-wart.” she mumbled.

“What was that?”

Both eyes opened. “I called you a worry-wart.”

He smirked, patting her thigh. “That’s what I thought you said.”

Ororo’s brows dropped. “Logan…”

“Hm?”

“Do that again.”

“Do what?”

“Touch my leg.”

He caught the anxious tone in her raspy voice and immediately obeyed. He squeezed her thigh gently.

Ororo’s eyes widened. “Again.” Once more. Oh, God… She lifted blue rimmed eyes. “I didn’t feel that.”

Logan tensed, but forced himself to remain calm. “Hey, you’ve got a lot of drugs running through ya. Probably some shit to numb ya…”

“I can’t move them!” Ororo’s anxious tone turned into a frightened edge. “Logan!”

“Easy, darlin’.” He grasped her shoulders. “Relax.”

“Why can’t I move?” Her voice cracked.

“I don’t know…maybe it’s a sedative…” Even to him it sounded false.

“I can’t feel anything…” She shook her head back and forth in mute denial.

Logan gripped her shoulders, forcing her to look at him. “I’m goin’ to find Hank.”

She nodded once.

“I won’t be long.”

“Okay.”

Her defeated voice ate at him.

“It’s probably nothin’, babe.”

She wasn’t looking at him anymore, however. Instead she was staring at her useless appendages. When Logan left the room Ororo wiped her eyes. “Oh, Jean…why?”
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=1905