Different Yet Destined by j_nikki
Summary: Ororo, a princess, is in desperate need for a husband in order for her to officially rule her country. Logan is the surly, yet handsome, Pirate Lord who can rescue her from her troubles-if they can ever get along
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 17200 Read: 13758 Published: 10-20-03 Updated: 06-02-04

1. The Journey by j_nikki

2. The Captive by j_nikki

3. Trapped by j_nikki

4. Awkward Moments by j_nikki

5. Cat & Mouse by j_nikki

6. Imprisonment by j_nikki

7. Glimpse of Hell by j_nikki

8. Intrusion by j_nikki

9. The Interrogation by j_nikki

The Journey by j_nikki
Different Yet Destined

Rating: PG for now

Summary: Ororo is a princess and Logan is a pirate - well pirate Lord -

Authors Note: In this fic Ororo in the King/Lord of Scotland and Ororo in the Princess of Egypt. I chose Scotland as Logan's place of origin because during this time period Scotts were known to be "big" "burly" warriors (all characteristics that Logan posses). Almost all the characters have a Scottish accent.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story



Chapter 1:
The Journey

************************************************************

Portshaven, Scotland
1817

“Look there. Aint that the biggest ass you ever seen?” Peter Rasputin asked, and pointed gleefully over the heads of his shipmates.

Not daring to glance right or left lest her stomach spew forth its dubious contents, Ororo Munroe, crown princess of Egypt, kept her eyes strictly on the balding head of the passenger in front of her. She could not help but wonder, however, if some Scottish maid should be mightly offended or if, perchance, there was a prize-winning donkey upon the blessed terra firma they had almost reached. ‘Twas impossible to guess with the giant called Victor. Indeed, hiring him was near the pinnacle of folly. But boarding this leaky tub was surely the worse mistake of all. She hated the sea. When she returned to Egypt, she would ride astride for a week and never board a ship again.

The waves slapped hard against the ship’s weathered side. Beneath her feet the Melody heaved and groaned. Ororo’s stomach did the same. She pulled the hood of her cloak farther over her head.

“Ahh.” Peter sighed and shook his oversized head, apparently oblivious to the sickening roll of the ship. “Makes me ’appy just to think of the things I could do with and ass like that.”

The Melody bucked. Ororo swallowed hard and closed her eyes against the roiling misery.

“Aye, she was the finest ass I ever ‘ad she was.” Peter sighed , and Ororo realized somewhat belatedly that her hired body guard may well have been waxing nostalgic about his long lost burro for quite some time, but in that moment he noticed her expression. “You unwell, missus?” he asked. He called her that from the first, even though she had ordered him more than once to refer to her as Mrs. Mulgrave, or Widow Mulgrave. Or even Linnet, if he must. But Peter was something like an upset boulder. Once he was set on a path it was difficult to change his course. Still missus was better than some things he might call her if he knew the truth. If he knew she was a crown princess incognito, with a paid imposter on the throne. The imposters features were strikingly like hers, however a great deal had to be done to transform her dark hair into that of the snowy whiteness of the princess.

“Yer lookin’ a might green about the gills there, missus. If’n your gonna vomit, ‘twould be best if you made your way to the rail.”

She gritted her teeth. “I am not about to-” She paused to swallow and squeeze her eyes shut again.

“Tis naught to be ashamed of, missus and you’d feel the better for it.”

She didn’t respond. Didn’t dare.

Peter elbowed her with a chuckle. She bounced off his arm ricocheting into a stout man holding a speckled chicken. It squawked its offense and fluttered wildly whiles its owner cuddled it to his chest and glared at her from beneath his frayed cloth cap.

She suppressed a groan and reminded herself that while Viscount Xavier might be one of the few advisors she trusted she trusted without question, he had not chosen this particular guard for either his wit or his charm.

“Ey,” he exclaimed, “there’s that ass again. “ I can see her ears.” He laughed happily. “ Perhaps I could…” he began but at that moment the man ahead of her stepped onto the plank, leaving a bit of space between them and allowing fresh air to caress her nostrils. She gulped it in, but in a second it was gone, stifled by the host of bodies jostling towards the shore.

“Me uncle Tod ‘ad him an ass one, though it wasn’t near so bid as that lady’s-”

“Cease talking about that lady’s ass,” she gritted. Perhaps her words were louder than necessary, but Victor’s expression was placidly mild as ever, but she felt the gazes of the other passengers. Remembering her intention of remaining unnoticed, she smiled and lowered her voice. “Please.”

“Have you got my trunk?” she asked, changing the subject.

“Got it right ‘ere.” He hoisted the leather-bound bag onto his shoulder, like another might lift a lute, than nodded toward the solid earth beyond. “Way’s clear.”

She glanced ahead and found with breathless relief that he was correct. She stumbled forward onto the plank, shambled down the dock and blessedly, miraculously, reached the firm soil of Scotland. Her head swarmed with the sudden cessation of movement. Her stomach boiled, but she straightened her back and glanced about. There was little to see, for bodies milled about her like eels, pushing and shoving and cutting off any hope of a better view.

“We’re to make our way to the abbey,” Peter said above the ebb and flow of the crowd. “This ain’t a good place for a lady misses,” he said. “Best not be dawdling ‘ere.”

She tried to shoulder her way through two sailors, but they were drunk and tipped her off balance. The movement did nothing to still the turmoil in her stomach. “Let Peter ‘ave a go, he said and stepping around her, thrust the crowd aside like many grains of sand.

**********

About half an hour later Ororo found herself inside a shabby dimly lit tavern, but at least it would afford her some privacy. It had taken quite a bit of convincing to get Peter to leave her here while he sought out the abbey, but in the end she succeeded. Ororo closed her eyes and willed her stomach to last a few minutes longer. Her upper lip was moist and her head was swimming. She managed to make her way to and empty booth in the farthest corner of the room. In the adjacent booth a man made a disparaging remark about her condition. His companion chuckled. She longed to confront them with the truth, but she dared not turn, dared challenge her fragile system.

She sighed and in that moment of relaxation, her bag leather valise was wrenched from her hand. The force of the motion yanked her from her seating and onto the floor. She cried out in shock, but her bag was already gone, whisked through the crowd by a ragged darting figure.

“No” she muttered in disbelief. No one tried to help. She scrambled to her feet. “Stop him! I command you to stop him!” Not a soul turned to comply, but the crowd was as thick as a London fog, barring the thief’s way. He clawed at their backs trying to get through, and in that moment she saw her chance. Snatching up her skirts she lurched after him. He turned in a panic, his face soiled, his eyes wide, and she almost had him, but at the last instant, the crowd murmured and broke. He skimmed between two elderly men, darting into the mob.

There was nothing she could do but give chase, past the laughing maid with the goat, over the drunken sod. A dappled horse reared, thrashing huge hooves over the thief’s head. He cowered away, and she took the opportunity to lunge at him, but her equilibrium was still unsteady and she tottered sideways into a man with a cane. He cursed and swung at her, hitting her in the shins. She leapt away, causing her the hood of her cloak to fall off. A hound snapped at her heels, latching onto her billowing skirts. She pivoted about, grasping her gown in both hands and swinging the mutt off his feet. It let go with a whine, and she swiveled towards the thief. She bolted after him rapidly covering the distance where the mob was thinner.

Her lungs ached in her chest, but in a moment she was upon the narrow robber. Her fingers skimmed his ragged tunic. But suddenly the crowds opened and he dashed through. She stumbled after him, tumbling into a solidly built man and tottering backward. He caught her, his hands tight upon her upper arms.

“Careful there or you’ll-” he began, then stopped short as his grip tightened around her biceps.

“The Devil!” he hissed.


She jerked back, startled as much by his dark gaze and scowl as his daring to touch her. “Unhand me!”

But he didn’t. Instead his grip tightened and with that a smile lifted his lips. “So my luck holds,” he said and laughed. “Another thief caught.”

She glared up at him, trying to catch her breath, her wits. “You’ve apprehended him?” she asked.

He canted his head slightly. His hair was slightly darker than his eyes, and a bit longer than fashion deemed proper, long thick sideburns ran down the sides of his face. “You know Victor Creed, do you?”

“Victor Creed?”

His lips lifted in the corner, as if he laughed at her. “Yonder thief,” he explained, and turned her slightly. “Do you know him?”

She jerked at her arms again. But it was a futile effort. “Of course I don’t know him. He snatched my bag and fled. Do you believe I would have asked his name before hand?”

He stared at her for a moment longer, then laughed. “I knew you were clever lass, but I must admit, I am impressed.”

“Tis easier to impress some than others,” she retorted. “Where is your Lord?”

“My Lord?” he was still smiling, looming over her like an overdressed barbarian.

“Yes, your master, whomever you answer too. The Lord of this isle preferably”

“You want to speak to Laird Howlett do you?

“Yes.”

“Laird… Logan… Howlett?”

“Yes!” She yanked away and he finally released her, she stumbled slightly. The crowd surrounding them was quiet. “I will have a word with him. And when I tell him about your treatment of the prin-” but she stopped, remembering all. She dared not tell the truth. Not here. Not in front of this self-important cretin, for she had traveled far and risked much. The crowd seemed ungodly quiet behind her and the smell of rotting fish attackin her senses, twisting her stomach.

‘Perhaps Lord Lenshur had been right’ she thought. ‘Teleere was not a place she should visit. But how could she determine a man’s quality if she had never met the man? And it was too late for a turn about now. She had set her own course and would see it through.’

She glanced around trying to find a more suitable man with whom to settle her disputes, but at that moment her stomach lurched.

Fifty feet away, above the heads of the packed crowd a gallow stood against the grey-blue sky. And upon those gallows a body swung with slow deliberation.

She gasped.

“A friend of yours?” asked the cretin. “Or is it Creed you favor?”

She tried to shift backward, away from the staring corpse, but there was no room. “What did he do?” she rasped.

“Rethinking you sins, blue eyes?”

“Cut that man down!” she demanded. “Does your Lord know of this… this….” She faltered, realized that there was another man awaiting execution- a handsome fellow with rakish golden hair. “Does your Lord know of these proceedings?”

“Aye, he does.” He watched her intently and stood too close. “In fact he is enjoying the…proceedings…even now.”

Dear Goddes! So the stories about Teleere’s rouge ruler were true. She had been entirely wrong to come. At least she knew that now, and could return to Egypt and choose another to share her throne. “Then I will see him at once!”

“Howlett?” There was laughter in his voice. Laughter at the entire situation. “Will you now?”

Rage shoke her. “Laugh at me and you will share the same hapless fate as the corpse! Now take me to Laird Howlet!”

“Tell me the game we play Darlin’ so I may know the rules?”

“You think this is a game!” she gestured wildly about her. “Take me to your pirate lord!”

He grabbed her by the arm, starling her breathless, and leaned in close, baring his razor-like teeth. “I am the pirate lord, as well you know, and you have played your last trick!” His fingers cut into her flesh.

She reared back in shock. “Let me go!”

“Go?” he laughed and pulled her closer. “I think not. In fact…” he nodded towards the gallows. “There seems to be an extra rope for you, my blue eyed thief.”

“My Lord, the hour grows late,” said a soldier from behind. “Are you ready for Creed?”

He didn’t turn toward the soldier, and in that insane moment Ororo wondered if he had told the truth. Was he really Lord Logan Howlett- the man she had hoped to marry to fulfill her uncle’s requirement and become queen regnant in her own right? If he was, then she’d been foolish.

“What say you?” he asked. “Are you ready to see your friend die? Or perhaps you would like to test the rope first?”

She tugged frantically at her arm. He tightened his grip and she cried out in pain. “Of course your light weight would hardly be a test at all. You could hang there for hours.”

“You’re mad.”

“And you’re a thief” he gritted. “But I’m not above a bit of thievery, murder on the other hand-”

“Aye murder, but perhaps you did not know that about him? Perhaps you only warmed his bed? Or did you also share his plans?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I tire or games,” he gritted. “Spill the truth or share his fate.”

She did not speak. Indeed she could not. So he grabbed her chin and turned her toward the gallows. The corpse’s eyes bugged from his head, his tongue was grayish purple. She jerked her chin free, but it was too late. Her stomach revolted. She tried to control it but there was no hope. Half digest food spilled forth, striking Logan full in the chest, plastering his blue cutaway and dripping from his double row of brass buttons.

The crowd gasped and drew back. A soldier hissed something unintelligible. From the gallows there was a scrape of metal. A woman screamed.

Logan jerked away with a curse. “Drake! No! Worthington! Stop Him!” A pistol fired then another. Ororo watched d as the man called Creed raced towards a galloping horse. A gun fired again but he had already grabbed the rider’s waist and launched himself onto the saddle. Soldiers yelled and swore, but Logan turned back to her with a deadly silence.

She backed away slightly, realizing belatedly that she should have run, escaped when she had the chance.

“Well it seem like you have accomplished your goal, my little harlot. But you forgot one thing.”

She didn’t speak, didn’t move. Couldn’t, for the hatred in his eyes held her entranced.

“We are not biased her in Scotland, we hang women just as well as men.”

She tried to voice the truth. To back away. But she could not do more than stare at the vomit that hung suspended from the black piping of his lapel. It swung gently back and forth. She watched its cadence movement for a moment, and then, like a broken marionette, she fainted.
The Captive by j_nikki
Authors Note: In this fic Ororo in the King/Lord of Scotland and Ororo in the Princess of Egypt. I chose Scotland as Logan's place of origin because during this time period Scotts were known to be "big" "burly" warriors (all characteristics that Logan posses). Almost all the characters have a Scottish accent.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story

Chapter 2:
The Captive

**********************************************************

“You swoon very well.”

Ororo awoke blearily.

“Have you been practicing?” Logan asked, and crossed the floor towards her.

She sat up with an effort, wincing as she did so. Her head was swimming and her throat ached as if it had been scrubbed with sea salt and left to dry, but her stomach had felt somewhat restored. One glance at Logan assured her he was rid of his soiled jacket. In fact he had changed his entire ensemble and now wore a simple tunic of soft brown. It was open at the neck. A glimpse of thick dark chest hair sprang out of its opening.

“Where am I?” she asked. Her voice sounded cool and aloof, befitting a queen.

He said nothing, but seated himself on the edge of her bed and poured wine from a bottle into a silver goblet. Yes, she was sitting on a bed. It was wide, huge really and draped in velvet curtains that boasted an intricate pattern of bright gold and deep green swirled in a background of burgundy. It was a large room decorated with an assortment of items. A huge textured globe stood on clawed feet. A Grecian statuette stood in feminine grace beside an immense cluttered desk. Draped over the ivory shoulders of the statuette was a silken scarf of sapphire blue, and scattered about the room were scores of other articles she could not even begin to identify.

She smelled the contents of the goblet and tasted the wine. She emptied the glass and handed it back.

Logan raised a brow, glanced into the goblet, and returned his attention to her. “Who is he to you?”

She turned slowly towards him, shifting her attention from the strangely organized clutter of the room. Her mind was clearer now, as was her eyesight, but still she could not believe her senses, for she would never have imagined the pirate lord to look like this. Nay, though she had made it a point to learn a great deal about him, she had never inquired about his physical attributes.

He was the Lord of Scotland, shrewd, cunning, and powerful enough to gain control of his country’s unruly people. She had assumed that his physical attributes would agree with his nature. He would surely not be young and….handsome-in an unruly sort of way.

She stared at him, suspicion growing in her mind. “Is this some sort of deception?”

His brows rose slightly. But it was his eyes that held her interest, for they were so cold and analyzing that it seemed beyond the realm of possibility. “Deception?” he asked.

The way he said the words raised her suspicions, for his tone seemed too happy, too even tempered and light-hearted to possible suit the horrid situation. And suddenly she was certain she was right. “Xavier coerced you into this.”

“I don’t know an Xavier.” He said

She ignored his words and glanced around the room, half-expecting the viscount to step out from behind some tapestry. “Is he here?”

Her captors smile faded a bit. But the fact did nothing to diminish his appeal. It was ridiculous, really, how handsome he was. His dark hair roguishly untamed. Xavier had planned this silly prank. Xavier, who had found the girl, Brigit, to take her place at the throne. Xavier who had believed she would never understand her people unless she lived like them for a time. Well this certainly would satisfy his desires wouldn’t it?

“Where is he?” she asked, anger burning through her.

He tilted his head, as if uncertain of her meaning, but amused just the same. “Maybe that’s not the question you should be asking me just now, Darlin’.”

“My name is not Darlin’!” she said pulling her knees up, prepared to swing her feet off the mattress, but at that precise instant she realized the truth. She was naked! Completely and utterly naked!

Snatching the blanked back up to her chest, she pursed her lips and caught her breath. “What have you done with my clothes?”

He smiled again, slowly and leisurely. “Ahh now there’s the question,” he said placing a palm upon the mattress, leaned back slightly and drew up his knee. This caused his slacks to draw tight against his hard muscled legs.

She scowled, her mind whirring. True, Xavier could be inappropriately capricious at times, but even he would not have gone as far as to put her in such a compromising position. Yes, he often said she was too stiff, to cool, too removed from the common man, but he had cared for her as few others did. Of this she was certain. Something had gone wrong here. “Who are you sir? Truly?”


“Very well, I shall play your game if you like. I am Logan Howlett, pirate lord, as you called me, and bastard son of the late laird of Scotland. And who are you?”
Trapped by j_nikki
Authours note: I know my characters are to have Scottish accents but I just couldn’t help slipping in a few “Darlins.”

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story


Chapter 3:
Trapped

************************************************************

He was keeping to his story then. Whoever had put him up to this had told him to be very convincing. But if they meant to fool her, they should have found a more believable pirate.

“You Lie,” she said simply.

Something flashed in his eyes but he still smiled, “Do I?” he asked, and rose abruptly to his feet? Pacing to the dark, oversized desk, he placed his goblet atop it and turned back towards her. “I suppose you should know a liar when you meet one, aye Megs?”

There was a sudden intensity about him that belied his grin. An intensity that did nothing to soothe her own unease. She tightened her grip in the bed sheets and watched him carefully. “My name is not Megs.”

“Isn’t it?” Pacing, he sat again, closer still, so close, in fact that she could smell the wine on his breath,, could feel the warmth of his body against her arm. “Then who are you?"

Xavier had told her the tale of his journey to the tavern, in which he found her double, many times. Had told her of his meeting with Bridget, and from those tales they had secretly laid their plans. The girl would sit on HER throne for a few short days while Ororo traveled to Scotland. Yes, she had planned to meet with Lord Howlett, and if he was the man she judged him to be, she would offer a marriage alliance. For that was the only way to fulfill her uncle’s requirements. She had to marry… and marry soon. But her choice had to be a quick one.

Yes, had planned only a quick trip to Scotland and find herself a suitable husband. But she no longer had such plans, for she had witnessed the Pirate Lord’s true nature, had seen the light in his eyes at the execution. She would not bind herself to such a man no matter how dire the circumstances. Lord Lenshur’s assessments were right.

Howlett was a scoundrel and a barbarian, hardly above the rumored murder of his young wife. Ororo had greatly misjudged him, had hung her hopes on a dream. Despite his ability to rule a country, he was nothing like her dead uncle, the old King

“It should not take you so long to remember your name, Darlin’?

“Unless the bump on your head has addled your thought,” reaching out he touched the side of her skull. She winced, surprised by the pain, but in a moment, he left the wound and trailed his fingertips along the curve of her ear. The caress was gentle and strangely unnerving. She shivered in its descent. “Have you lost your memory?” he asked.

She said nothing but watched him closely.

“I admit you are prettier than I recall,” he said, and skimmed his knuckle down her cheek to her throat. She shivered, for the sensations were disturbingly erotic, but she found her tongue and spoke coolly.

“We have not met before.”

“Aye, we have lass. Surely you remember. I was just about to board the Skian Dahr with my first mate when you caused a distraction and stole my brooch.”

She started with surprise and he pulled his hand away with a chuckle.

“You are deluded!” she said. “I’m not a thief.”

“Oh but you are,” he said as he stroked her fingers where they clung to the blanket. “You are called Megs and you stole my mother’s brooch off my very chest. T’was quite a bold move,” he smiled. “But you are quite a bold lass, are you not?” His knuckles skimmed along her forearm and up her shoulder.

“I’m not who you think I am!” she said in a rush.

“Truly,” his fingers stopped for a moment. “Then who are you?”

“Who are you?” her words were breathy and he laughed.

“I believe we have covered those grounds already Darlin’.”

“You’re not Logan Howlett!”

“And all the while I thought I was,” he said, and let his fingers drift southward.

“Don’t touch me!” she warned. “Unless you wish to pay a heavy price.”

He raised his brows. “You are daring- for a liar and a thief who has been caught dead to rights.”

“As I have said…”

“You are not Megs,” he finished for her. “Then who are you? Her twin sister perhaps?”

“I know no one named Megs.”

“Lucky for you since she tends to steal from those nearest her. Then again…” He paused to let his gaze slip down her. “I almost think it might be worth the loss now that I see you like this.

She pulled the blankets higher. “Men have died for less insolence.”

“Are you threatening me?”

Yes she was, but she was also no fool to admit it. “I have not stolen from you,” she said evenly, “or any other.”

“No?”

“NO.”

“Then what is your attachment to Creed?”

“Creed,” her mind was still spinning, but she tried to steady it, be smart. “The man that was executed?”

“The man that escaped!” His smile was gone and his words growled.

“I don’t know Creed.”

“Tell me where he is!”

“I do not know Creed,” she repeated.

She did not see him move but suddenly the blankets were whipped out of her hands and she was left unclothed and uncovered.

“Then I shall have to seek revenge with you,” he said and reached for her.

Terror consumed her. Instantly she leapt to her feet on the bed just as his fingers skimmed her arm.

“Come now Darlin,” he crooned and stepped easily onto the mattress. “It will not be so bad. Surely if you can stand Creed’s touch, you can stand anything.”

“I KNOW NO ONE NAMED CREED! And if you touch me again you will surely be hanged by dawn!”

“Hanged!” he laughed and leapt.

She darted away. He was after her in an instant. She heard his feet hit the floor as she reached the door. Fingers tangled in her hair, snatching her to a halt. She whirled around, slapping wildly, but he was already pulling her towards his chest, muffling her protests, stilling her movements with the strength of his arms around her naked torso.

She struggled but there was no hope. His good looks were locked with determination. She stilled, conserving her strength and engaging her mind. The sound of their breathing was all that could be heard. His grip eased a bit. She didn’t move. At least here, pressed against his body, he could not see her nakedness.

Keeping one arm wrapped around her, he stroked his fingers through her hair, and she realized suddenly that it was completely undone and hung in heavy waves down the length of her back. “Such an odd color” he mumbled. Then the dazed look disappeared from his eyes.

“You’re damned poor at defending yourself, for a thief and a murderer.”

“Murderer!” she reared back, but he eased her against his chest again.

“Perhaps you were jus his accomplice,” he said and skimmed his fingers down her spine to the crease of her buttocks.

She quivered in spite of herself. “Cease!”

“Tell me where he is Megs,” he said, and leaning back, stared into her eyes. Perhaps there was anger there, but another emotion burned brighter, something far more frightening.

“I told you…” she began, but he leaned forward and kissed her.

For a moment she remains frozen in shock, then she shoved with all her might, managing to break free and stumble backward. “How dare you!”

He smiled and stepped forward. “I dare much, and this is but the beginning unless you cooperate.”

She backed away, breathing hard and fighting to control her emotions, to think, to plan. “We do not deal with brigands such as you.”

“We?” He stopped abruptly.

“You’ll get no ransom for me, so you’d just as well let me go.”

“Ransom?” His eyes were narrowed. “Creed would pay for your return?”

She shook her head. Was he trying to trick her into admitting who she really was, or did he truly think her a thief? Was her life in danger or just her pride?

“So your Important to him?” he asked.

She continued to retreat, but her thighs struck something cold. She stopped with a gasp but dared not to look back. Instead she thrust her hand behind her, feeling the smooth edge of a desk. “I don’t know what you are talking about?”

“I’m talking about life Megs,” he said and took a step closer. “Your life. I’m offering it to you in exchange for a small piece of information.”

“I don’t know what you want.” Behind her, her fingers skimmed the surface of the desk.

“I want to know where to find him.” His voice was soft, but the words were gritted. “And that you know. Creed would not waste a prize like you. You’re clever. You care about him. And…” His gaze raked her nakedness. The light in his eyes sparked brighter. “And you are…bonny”

Something cool and hard met her fingertips. She inched breathlessly along an edge.

“No.” his tone was thoughtful, his eyes narrowed. “He will use you again. Believe me, it’s what he’ll do. He will use you and leave you to hang.”

She merely stared, her mind racing along the edge of the unseen object, trying to conjure a image in her head.

“He has abandoned you already.”

She said nothing, and perhaps he took her reticence for disagreement, for he continued on.

“Is he here now then? Bent on saving you?”

The object was strangely shaped. Triangular almost. But not too large, and “ her breath stopped as her thumb brushed the point. It was narrow and deadly sharp.

“Were he in your spot he would give you up in an instant,” Logan said.

She didn’t answer, didn’t breathe.

“He will sacrifice you to save himself.” He shook his head and stepped closer still. “Tell me where he has fled.”

She remained breathlessly silent, then shook her head. “I do not know what you speak of.”

He reached for her with a curse, and in that instant she struck, snatching the instrument blindly from the desk behind her and stabbing it into his chest.
Awkward Moments by j_nikki
Authors Note: Most of the characters have a hint of Scottish accent. I’m also attempting to write a little French accent for Remy, so pardon the mistakes.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story.


Chapter 4:
Awkward Moments

***********************************************************

Pain sliced Logan’s chest. He swore at his own stupidity and reached for the brass compass, but she had already snatched it out and dropped it to the floor. Her gasp was one of utter horror “ as if it was she who had been stabbed, and her eyes were tremendously wide, blue as a cloudless sky and filled with terror. Behind him the door slammed open, and footsteps thundered into the room.

‘That would be Lieutenant Summers and his entourage, nosey as always and too bored to keep to themselves.’ He thought grimly.

She obviously noticed their arrival too, for she was staring past his shoulder, her eyes wider than ever, her plump lips parted. He turned slowly, careful to step directly in front of her, covering her nudity.

Five men stood in an arc before him. Summers was the closest. His sword was drawn, and his right hand held a pistol. The others were armed similarly.

“My Lord!” Scotts tone was breathless his expression tense. “You are wounded.”

“Logan glanced down at his chest. Blood had seeped onto his tunic “Aye, so I am.”

“By her hand,” added Scott.

“True.” Reaching toward a Grecian statuette Logan pulled the silken scarf from its shoulders and handed it to the girl behind him.

“Cover yourself,” he ordered.

The sheer fabric shook as she took it and he almost smiled. So she was finally scared.

“My Lord,” said Summers, “if you’ll just step aside I’ll see to her punishment.

He should step aside of course. She was a thief, a liar, and most probably a murderer’s accomplice if not a murderer herself, but even now it seemed he could see it was not true in her eyes “ deep pools of blue with her snow- white hair wild and unbound about her splendid breast.

Of course it was neither her breast nor her terrified eyes that kept her from punishment. A bastard had no time for foolish sentiment. It was merely that he was certain he could convince her to reveal her lover’s whereabouts. She was young, scared, and alone.

“Go to supper summers!” he ordered, his mind elsewhere. “I have use for the girl here.”

“My Lord…”

“And take your men with you.”

“But…”

“What’s afoot?” LeBleau appeared in the doorway like a looming bad omen. Logan scowled, the Cajun had no doubt heard the commotion a while ago.

“Good for you to join us,” said Logan through gritted teeth. “The men were just about to take their supper.”

Remy nodded and studied Logan. “Did she stab you?”

“Yes…” growled Logan.

Remy nodded once again, his expression something between admiration and boredom, before he turned to the guards. “Well monsieur’s there is a fine bite of lamb at the table. How’s about we test it before it’s gone?”

“My Lord…” Summers began again, ignoring Remy, but Logan silenced him with a glare.

“All is well Scott,” Logan assured him. “You needn’t worry.”

“She is dangerous my Lord!”

“What you thinkin’ monsieur?” exclaimed Remy obviously tired of Scott’s over-eagerness. “You wanna chew his food too, no?”

“Tis my job to protect the Lord of the Isle! And protect him I will!” shouted Scott, his face beet red.

“Yes, Yes” Remy mumbled. “ But if the Lord cannot save himself from this lil petite,” he jerked his head toward Ororo…

“Just get out!” barked Logan after losing patience with them all.

For a moment Logan thought Scott might actually venture a second objection, but apparently he wasn’t completely daft, because he finally left with his men. The room was nearly empty besides Remy who remained.

“Stabbed you,” he mumbled to himself and chuckling he shambled towards the door. “Good for the cher’e.”

Now they were completely alone. Logan turned slowly toward the girl. The numbing shock of the blow had warn off his chest and was beginning to throb rhythmically, but one glance at the diminutive thief drove all thoughts of pain from his mind. In truth it drove all thoughts of any kind from his mind, sending his blood pumping to lower regions.

She stood perfectly still, her brown skinned body unmoving, the sheer fabric he had given to her earlier now draped down to her knees. He hadn’t realized what an erotic picture she would make.

‘Perhaps she was the reason Summers refused to leave…I’ll kill that…Whoa! Why was he getting jealous?’ he questioned himself.

He continued to stare at her and felt his blood pressure rise with his cock.

Perhaps his thoughts showed in his eyes, because she bunched up the cloth more tightly between her breasts and took a step back. The sheer fabric seemed to do little more than magnify her bounteous charms.

He began to harden and grow. Sometimes his dick forgot the greater good, preferring to embark on its own endeavors. It began to stir restlessly as Logan’s eyes flickered downward then up.

He waited in taut anticipation for her reaction but she did nothing but raise her chin and tighten her grip on the scarf.

“So you truly are Lord Howlett.”

“Yes,” he simply agreed. “I am Logan Howlett and who are you?”

“My name is Mrs. Mulgrave.”

“Mrs. Mulgrave?” he repeated.

“Yes.”

“And your husband?”

“He is dead.”

“Really, did you kill him?” he said with a smirk.

“What! No! How…?” she began, but he gestured toward the hole in his chest. “Of course I did not kill him! And I would not have stabbed you if you had ceased…”

Her words stopped. Her gazed remained frozen on his chest.

“What are you doing?” she demanded

“I’ve known you less than a full day and already you’ve ruined more garments than I did during my entire voyage to Jamaica.”

She swallowed and he scowled as he tugged his shirt tail from beneath his breeches.

“How then?” he asked.

She ripped her gaze from his torso to his face. “What?” she asked.

“Your husband, how did he die?”

“Oh, he drowned.”

“What was his name?”

“William.”

“When did it happen?

“Last May. He was boating on the Thomas.”

“Tragic.”

“Quite.”

“What was his occupation?”

“He was a tailor.”

Logan smiled, ‘Damn she was good.’

“And where did you and your beloved live, Mrs. Mulgrave?”

“In London.”

“Where in London?”

“On Craven Road, just across from the gardens.”

He paused for a moment, and she pursed her lips with regal disdain. “Might I have my clothes back now?”

“No,” he said without thinking. True there had been no weapon found in her garments. Neither had there been any stashed away in the white bundle of hair she’d piled atop her head, but it had been a good excuse to see her unclothed.

“Whyever not?”

“Because...” he thought for a moment and realized he needed no reason. “You’re my prisoner! You’ll have your clothes when I see fit “ Miss Megs!!!!”

“I am not Megs…”

“My apologies Mrs. Mulgrave…” he corrected politely with a bow. Old Hank had taught him a lot of things- from judging wine to tying a cravat, but bowing was what he excelled at. God knew that Logan was never meant to be Lord. But his mother had been young and bonny, and the King had taken a liking to her. The old man had no idea of knowing that is only heir would be a ragged “ assed ruffian. “…But you see I have a problem.”

She stared at him for a full five seconds before speaking. “The lowest of men can change his temperament if he so wished.”

It took him a moment to understand her meaning, and when he did he didn’t try to contain his grin. “You think my temperament is a problem?” he asked and circled her slightly. His intention was to reach the caneback chair that accompanied his desk, but he did mind a view of her profile from the rear if the opportunity presented itself.

“You did threaten to hang me,” she reminded him.

“And of course you don’t deserve to be hanged,” he admitted.

“No, I most certainly do not.”

“And of course neither did Creed.” He tried to continue his casual tone, but the very thought of Creed twisted his stomach. ‘Months ago he had vowed to get revenge. He was Lord of this isle! How hard could it be to execute one man! One brigand! One Murderer!’

“As I have told you…”

“Yes, you have told me,” he growled and lifting the chair in one fist, slammed it back down on the hardwood floor beneath. Her gasp filled the room. He gritted his teeth and watched her, calming his nerves, easing his tension.

“Tell me the truth Megs, or I swear your bonny looks will not save you from the consequences.”

“My name is not Megs.” Her words were no more than a whisper.

“You lie.” Easing his hand from the chair he approached her slowly. “But damned if you don’t do it well.”

“It’s not gentlemanly to accuse a lady of an untruth.”

“Gentlemanly,” he said and laughed. “I could almost believe you are from abroad with such foolish talk.”

She stared at him with confused eyes.

“No one has ever accused me of being a gentleman,” he said and touched her cheek. The skin was soft as the heather blossom of his homeland. “Tell me where to find him.”

She shook her head. Her gaze never leaving his face.

“What has he done to gain such loyalty?” he mused, then thought of a new idea. “Or is it fear? Do you think he will harm you if you spill the truth?”

She opened her mouth to speak, but he slipped his fingers over the plump rise of her lips, shushing her. They were ungodly soft and unusually full. His lower region stirred, and he scowled, remember to concentrate.

“Don’t speak,” he ordered. “But listen. Creed is dangerous. I don’t know what he’s told you…what he’s promised you…but you can’t trust him. Tell me where he is, and I will make certain he never harms you.”

The stared into each others eyes. She shook her head.

“I cannot.”

He stopped the curse before it reached his lips. “Then I’ll have little choice but to imprison you, Darlin’,”

“For refusing to say what I cannot?” Her voice was hushed, but he discerned no desperation, no panic.

He forced a smile. “For withholding information from your sovereign Lord.”
Cat & Mouse by j_nikki
Authors Note: This took a while to be posted because I’m currently going through finals. Anyway I know there are a lot of scenes with Lo and Ro in his bedchamber, but I wanted this fic to be mainly about the interaction between them. Don’t worry they’ll be leaving his quarters soon.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story

Dedication: To Pari, Tigerstorm, Tempest, Vixen, Luly and Candice. Thanx 4 the reviews. By the way Tempest, I’m still waiting for my update on “Vermillion Nights,” just thought I’d throw that in there.

Chapter 5:
Cat and Mouse
*********************************

“I told you, I do not know where he is. I am not this Megs you speak of. I am Lady Linnet Mulgrave of…”

“Of London, on Craven Road, a recent widow…”

“Yes,” Ororo replied.

“It’s cold in the dungeon Megs. Dank and Dark. And Lonely. If you’re lucky enough to have a cell to yourself.”

“I just arrived on your isle. Check the captains log if you don’t believe me” she pleaded. “There will be record of my passage. The ship, it’s called the Melody. Its captain is named Mr. Beuren. He will remember me.”

“I’m sure he would,” Logan skimmed his thumb along her throat. Damn it was soft. “And I suspect you called yourself Mrs. Mulgrave?”

“Of course, it is my name.”

“And you came all the way from London alone?”

“No, I had … a companion,” she replied.

Logan raised his brows. “Companion?”

“I asked Peter to accompany me. I had never been to Scotland before.”

“Peter?” he asked. He had no particular reason for interest, of course, but he was curious as to the relationship she had with this “companion.”

She blinked. Her eyes were enormously wide. She must not have been more than 24 years.

“I commissioned him to accompany me,” she said.

Running his hand down her back, Logan felt a shiver at the descent. “You hired a man to accompany you?”

Her gaze shifted slightly. Perhaps it was the first sign of weakness in her story. He began to see the first signs of uncertainty.

“Yes. I heard the wharves of Scotland are dangerous so I opted for a … Bodyguard of sorts.”

“I can’t imagine you had to pay him much,” he said and drew his hand away from the base of her back.

“I am not a thief, regardless of what you may think. I am an honest citizen with good income. I paid him quite…”

“I meant I doubt you would have to pay any man to guard your body so long as his treasures are hidden elsewhere.”

She opened her mouth to speak, then closed it suddenly. “I will pay you.” Her tone was crisp and self-assured.

He raised a brow. Some had called him a pirate. Others a privateer. He tried not to take offense to either. Piracy, after all was as honest as most enterprises. “Pay me?”

“For my release,” she explained.

“Perhaps we can come to an agreement. What can you offer?”

He noticed that her breathing had stopped completely. Perhaps he was watching her bosom a bit more closely than necessary, but it seemed as if she was hanging on his every word.

“What do you want?”

“Creed’s whereabouts,” Logan stated plainly.

“Damn you!” she swore swinging her hand up to slap him.

He caught it easily, inches from his cheek. Passion. It shone in her eyes. ‘Did Creed evoke such passion in women? Even women like this small cool thief? Had Jean been passionate in his arms?’ he questioned himself.

“I know no one named Creed!” she hissed.

He held his temper. “Then how will you pay your ransom?”

“Ransom?” her face went white and her knees buckled.

He scooped an arm around her back, pressing her up against his chest.

“Ransom?” her voice was weak.

“For your safe return to London.”

“Oh, yes,” she nodded and straightened, but he did not let her go, for she felt wonderfully soft against the bare skin of his chest. “I…” she cleared her throat and tried to move away. He tightened his embrace. “My family…will…you please…” her breathing came hard and fast. “Let me go.”

“But you will give me what I want” Suddenly he realized what he wanted had changed. Leaning forward he kissed the corner of her mouth and slowly drew back.

“Don’t do that,” she whispered.

“This?” he asked pressing his mouth to hers, swiped his tongue gently along the crease.

She pushed against his chest. Slight pain shot through him. “Don’t,” she insisted, but he barely noticed, for she had lost the thin scarf that barely covered her. And now they stood bare chest to bare chest.

“You don’t like it?” he asked.

“I…” she was breathing hard. “It’s not right.”

“Better that the dungeon.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“A man might take offense to having his proposition called a threat, Megs.”

“Proposition?”

“I admit, Scotland’s prisoners might miss your company should you choose to stay with me.”

He watched the blood drain from her face, and perhaps a niggle of guilt seeped into his consciousness. Aye, he was threatening her, compromising her. But he was not doing it for his own passion’s sake. He was no ugly ogre she must choose, and if she spent a night or so in his arms, she would surely leave her loyalty to Creed behind.

“I…” she shook her head. “I cannot.”

“Cannot what?’ he asked and bent to kiss her throat. She caught her breath on an unusually high note. He pressed his kisses lower, his hands traveling down the smooth side of her glossy body.

“Quit!!” she ordered and thumped her hands on his chest.

Sharp blinding pain coursed through him and he was forced to let her go. “I would not hurt you.”

“I cannot,” she said

“Why?”

“Surely it’s obvious to you.”

“It isn’t,” replied Logan.

“It would be wrong.”

He ground his teeth. “How did creed win such loyalty?”

“Creed again! Are you mad!” screamed Ororo.

“Aye, perhaps. Which do you choose Megs?” Anger felt hot in his gut.

“Leave me be,” she backed away. “I’ve done nothing wrong.”

He laughed as he followed her. “I seem to have a hole in my chest bonny Megs. That alone surely warrants a hanging.”

“Hanging!”

“I gave you a choice.”

“Choice! A choice between the impossible and…” she shouted.

“So ‘tis impossible to share my bed?”

“It is impossible to tell you that which I do not know.”

Damn her for choosing Creed. “So you would rather die that cuckold him?”

“Who?”

He managed a smile. “Your lover.”

“I have no lover.”

“So you are untried?” there was a slight whisp of hopefulness in his voice.

“Y… No. Of course not. I was…” her breath was coming hard. She was pressed against the desk. Her spine bent to avoid him. “I was married.”

“Of course.” His gut twisted. “And yet you choose a dungeon to a night with me. Not very flattering, love,” he said as he slipped his palm across her cheek.

“Let me go please.”

“Tell me where he is Megs. Tell me and no harm will come to you. I promise.”

“I cannot,” she insisted.

He remained as he was for the moment then straightened and nodded once. “Good luck to you then.”

“Summers,” he bellowed.

The door opened in an instant, Logan had ordered him to take a meal, but perhaps the good lieutenant had no need for sustenance as long as he could serve the Lord of Scotland.

“You have need for me my lord?”

Logan’s stomach knotted. “Yes.” he said. “Take this maid to the dungeon until she sees fit to talk.”
Imprisonment by j_nikki
Authors Note: More X-men characters are introduced in this chapter.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story



Chapter 6:
Imprisonment

***********************************************************

The night ground on forever. It was cold and dank in the silent darkness. Worry gnawed and time creaked along with miserable slowness.

‘Damn her!’ Logan paced his chilly bedchamber yet again. Not a candle had been lit. ‘Why couldn’t she talk? What magic did creed employ to engender such wretched loyalty? Did she know his true nature? Did she know and cherish him regardless?’

But he needn’t worry. He would know the answer soon enough. One night in prison would surely quell her spirits. But the damned night dragged on, cramping old injuries and making his head ache until he could no longer bear to wait.

The sun had not yet risen when he gave up his vigil and clattered down the stone stairs toward the castle dungeon. Rarely had it been used since Logan’s arrival in Scotland. It was the place Meg’s belonged. She would learn that he meant what he said. She would talk or suffer.

He scowled into the darkness and found nothing. The cell was empty, the door open. He cursed aloud then spun away, taking the steps three at a time. Summers appeared in an instant, his eyes wide. Despite the hour and the fact that he should have been in the barracks sleeping, every hair was in place, every garment wrinkle free.

Logan grabbed the man’s pristine tunic in one gigantic fist. “She’s gone!” he snarled.

Scott went pale. Confusion clouded his features. “Who…who is gone my Lord?”

“Who!” Logan roared. “Megs, the thief. She’s Gone!”

“Nay, she cannot be, I delivered her to Pikeshead myself.”

“Pikeshead?” Logan loosened his grip on the guard’s shirt, careful of his temper. “You took her to Pikeshead?”

“Aye my Lord.” He swallowed one, his Adam’s apple bobbing. “Twas where you said to take her.

“I said the dungeon.”

“Yes the…” Scott begun, but in a moment his eyes widened. “You meant here at the castle?”

“Where is she?” Logan cut him off.

“I but delivered her to the gate master there. I do not know where they placed her.”

Logan gritted his teeth, but refrained from reaching out. Hank assured him that violence was not the answer. But perhaps hank did not know the question.

“Fetch me my steed,” Logan ordered.

“A…look of shock stamped Scott’s features. “A carriage sir?”

“A saddle horse, you dick! Get one before I fillet your arse!”


***************************************************************

Ororo Munroe sat huddled against a stone wall. The cell was dark, dank and smelled of things she dared not consider. She shivered once and wrapped her arms more tightly against her knees. A high-born lady was above fear, she told herself. She was exhausted, but dared not close her eyes, for she was not alone. Rats scurried somewhere in the distant dimness, but that was not the vermin she feared. Her terror was closer to hand and human.

“Are you asleep yet lassie?” someone asked. The voice was somewhere between a hiss ad a croon.

“No.’ she found her voice with some difficulty, but she dared not remain silent. “I am awake and vigilant.”

“Vigilent?” a chuckle issued from the darkness. “Don’t she talk pretty Mortimer?”

“Aye. And she wields a rock even better, aye Arkady?”

Arkady cursed vehemently. They had attacked her shortly after her arrival and knocked her down, but she had found a stone in the waiting darkness and fought with a strength born of desperation.

“She’ll sleep soon enough,” hissed Arkady. “Then we’ll see how feisty she can be.”

“Perhaps I’ll take her first and…” began Mortimer.

“She’s mine!” Something struck the wall. “And you’d better not forget it, you sawed off little bastard.”

“Bastard am I?” croaked Mortimer. There was scuffling in the straw, accented heavy breathing and raspy curses.

“Sod off the two of you before I call the warden!”

Ororo jerked at the sound of another voice. Perhaps it was a young girl, but her tone suggested experiences Ororo did not share.

“Sod off yourself, you lil tart,” Arkady said, but the scuffling had ceased.

“Tart am I?” said the young girl.

“A whore more like.”

“At least I confine me interests to me own species.”

“When the girl e’re sleeps I’ll show you where my interests lies,” Arkady said.

Mortimer muttered something, and the girl snorted, but finally all was quiet. When she escaped this hellish nightmare, Howlett would pay. Of this much Ororo was certain.

From the far end of the cell someone began to snore. ‘So, one of them was asleep, but what of the other?’ She waited. Minutes passed. The night wore on as images flitted through her mind. ‘Xavier’ She steadied her nerves and let her mind dwell on the viscount.

*Flash Back*

“I but said you should not marry the first sniveling cur that sniffs your crown,” said Xavier. “Not that you should sneak off and marry that bastard lord of Scotland.”

“But you said her was strong, Charles.”

“Yes he is that.”

“And fair-minded.”

“He seems to be, from what I could see, Ororo but…”

“Then I shall go there and see for myself.”

“And what of your throne? What of Erik? You cannot trust him with your throne.”

“No, she agreed. But I can trust you can I not?”

Xavier watched her for a long moment, his face somber, before he shook his head. “No, trust no one,” he said.

*End Flashback*

And in that moment she awoke. Something was wrong. She jerked to her feet, jumping backward. From the darkness, close at hand, Arkady cursed.

“Quick little bugger ain’t you lassie? Come now, I ain’t gonna hurt you.”

“No,” she straightened her back and clenched her hands into fists. From the corner of her eye she could see Mortimer. He was small and scrawny, his eyes were bright. “You are not.”

Arkady chuckled. “Come over e’re now and we’ll have a bit of fun.”

“Fun!” The word escaped on hysterical laughter.

“You thinking you too good for me?”

Terror coursed through her but her mind was formulating a plan. She snapped her gaze to Mortimer and then back to her current nuisance.

“Yes,” she said, and currently her course was set. She braced her back against the cold stone wall and prayed silently. “I am far too good for you. As is every living soul. In fact I pity poor Mortimer.

“Mortimer!”

“At least he has the decency to leave me unmolested.”

“Decency!” Arkady laughed, then turned his gaze toward his cell mate, who stepped forward. “Aye he has the decency to wait till I’m done with you ‘afore he takes what’s left over.”

She felt the wall behind her, searching for some unseen weapon, but there was nothing. “You should not judge others by you own depraved standards.” Ororo said.

“Depraved!?!” he took another step closer. It was near impossible for her to breath. He was too close, only a couple yards away. There was nowhere to go.
“Yes, she said. “You are depraved while Mortimer…”

“I’ll learn you too…” Arkady began and stepped even closer, but Mortimer came with him.

“Leave ‘er be,” he said.

Arkady stopped with a jolt. “What’s this then,” he rasped.

“You ‘eard her. She don’t want nothing to do with you.”

His enormous cell mate coughed a laugh. “And I guess her ladyship wants a tiny wick like you?”

Mortimer clenched his fists, shifting his eyes to her and away, he licked his lips. “Aye, she is.…mine.”

Arkady snorted and turned away, but in that same instant, Mortimer launched himself at his rival. They went down in a jumble of flailing limbs. They swore. From behind her a woman cackled and Ororo screamed for the guards, grabbing the metal bars in both hands.

It all happened in an instant. Light burst into her eyes. The door swung open and she was flung aside. Her head struck the wall. From a great foggy distance she thought she heard the word “Megs,” but perhaps it was a fragmented portion of her dreams.

The light glowed blearily. Someone bent over her like a looming shadow. There was a whimper of fear. ‘Was it her?’ The thought floated groggily through her mind, but it didn’t mater. She let her eyes fall close and heard someone growl an oath.

For a moment she tried to sit up, but her body felt strangely heavy, then she was rising, floating mistily from the filthy straw and lifting languidly upward.

‘Death,’ she sighed inwardly. It didn’t feel half“bad.
Glimpse of Hell by j_nikki
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story

‘…’ Indicates thought


Chapter 7:
Glimpse of Hell

***********************************************************

“Forgive me my Lord,” the voice was quiet but fraught with tension.

‘Was she in hell? No one answered. Apparently Satan was the laconic sort,’ Ororo thought.

“I thought you meant to punish her.”

‘Punishment. So it was hell. Xavier had been right. She should not have been so haughty, so aloof. She should have tried to understand the plight of her subjects. Still…even in hell it felt good to simply lie in silence and let time slip quietly away.

“I had no way of knowing she meant something…”

“Summers!” Satan growled. “Shut the hell up!”

Someone chuckled.

“Yes, my Lord. Am I dismissed, my Lord?”

There was another growl, which she failed to comprehend. A door opened and closed. Too loud. It echoed in her head. She moaned and lifted a hand tentatively to her brow.

“Here, put your hand down.”

She opened her eyes, but only to slits, for the light seemed ungodly bright, blurring her vision.

“Who…”

“Quiet now,” he said.

“Howlett!” So he was the devil. ‘Of course.’ She attempted to sit up. He wrapped a hand around her upper arm and pulled her upright.

“So you’ve finally learned my name.” His voice was rough, his touch the same. “Here, drink this,” he ordered, and pressed something to her lips.

She would have enjoyed refusing, but she was horribly thirsty. Sitting was difficult. He steadied her with a hand to her arm and tipped the mug forward. Too fast. She sputtered and gagged and the herb-laced wine burned her lips and throat.

She coughed, winced, and coughed again then opened her eyes to glare at him. “I’d think Satan would have better seduction skills.”

He stared at her with a brooding glare. “You’re raving,” he said, and felt her forehead with the back of his hand.

She jerked her head to the side and was rewarded with a quick jab of pain through her eyeballs. She gritted her teeth and spoke none the less. “Threats, imprisonment and drowning in cheap wine. Is that the only way you can convince women to sleep with you Howlett?”

Someone chuckled again. She turned her head painfully, sweeping her gaze past a tumble of hazy artifacts to land on a man near the door. It was the ominous Lebleu. A grin was planted on his handsome features.

She scowled groggily and turned back to her captor. “What next? A whipping if I don’t capitulate?”

He was silent for a moment. “The dungeon is generally incentive enough for most maids.”

“I am not most maids.”

“Of course not, you are magical Megs.”

She laughed. “Even in prison you called me Megs. I would think you would know my true identity.” Ororo said. “Given your…station.”

“My station?” he was ungodly handsome, but of course Satan would be. Some thought the God of the underworld ugly and old, but she had always known better. Beauty disguised a host of sins and drew admirers all at once.

“God of hell,” she explained, though reality was seeping painfully into her head.

Anger sparked his eyes. “So you prefer last night’s accommodations?”

She refused to shudder, refused to dwell on the stench of the dungeon he had saved her from, for he had also been the one to put her there. Memories from the day before sluiced in, and she glanced down quickly, but she was still clothed, though her sleeve was torn.

So she was well, basically uninjured and virtually untouched. Circumstances could be worse. She raised her gaze back to his and pursed her lips.

“Let me go Howlett, and I’ll seek no revenge.”

“Vengence!” he jerked to his feet and paced back and forth before the enormous bed she found herself in for the second time. “And tell me, Megs, how would one in your position go about seeking vengeance?”

She longed to tell him the truth, to inform him that she had an army at her disposal, but she had said too much already. Instead she remained perfectly still and watched him.

“If you think Creed will avenge you, then you are a greater fool that I believed.”

“Tell me Howlett, how long have you been obsessed with this Creed fellow?”

Anger flashed in his eyes, and for a moment she thought he might strike her, but he settled back in the mattress and watched her. “I might ask the same of you.”

“And I might tell you…again…that I know no one by that name.”

He smiled and reached out to touch her cheek. She refused to draw away, but met his gaze with her own hard stare.

“Maybe you don’t realize what I can do to you Megs,” he said instead.

“I think you already did it,” Ororo replied.

The Cajun chuckled again.

Logan turned to glower, but Ororo didn’t shift her gaze. Her statement was not entirely true, of course, for he had saved her. ‘But yhy? If he meant to have her tortured. Why was she back in his private chamber?’

“Don’t you have something else to do?” Logan asked, and she realized that he was talking to Lebleu.

“Not at the moment. Since it seems I’ll have to wait to torture la petite.”
“You are of French descent?” she asked. Both men turned to her in unison, and she realized her mistake. Most women would not assume to question a man in such a situation.

“I am,” replied Remy

She nodded, remembering traveling to the beautiful country as a child, but Logan was scowling.

“Tell me Remy,” she said. “Are you in need of employment?”

His brow rose. “What’s that?’

“I seem to have lost my guard. But I wondered if you might wish to take up that position.”

The slim man shrugged. A shadow of a grin played around the peripheral edges of his mouth. “What do you pay?”

Logan swore under his breath.

She didn’t glance toward him. “I’ll give you twice what he does.”

Remy laughed. “That won’t be difficult, for he pays me nothing.”

“Ahh…just in my price range then.”

He laughed. She smiled.

“Get the hell out of here!” Logan ordered.

Remy glanced at his master and friend in some surprise. “The lady made me an offer, monsieur”

“She’s not a lady.”

Remy smiled. “Better yet.”

“Go check on Summers.”

“You worried he’s going to kill himself for disappointing you?”

“Actually, I’m afraid he’s not.”

Remy once again returned his attentions to Ororo. “My apologies,” he said and kissed her hand. It seems I am being sent to rout wild geese.

“Consider my offer.”

“But of course, mademoiselle,” he agreed and nodded. “That I will, and if the brute here gives you any trouble…you’ve but to call.”

“And if I call, what will you do?”

He shrugged. “I’d have to charge extra to kill him.”

“I shall bear that in mind.”

Remy chuckled as he turned to leave. The door shut solidly behind him.

She shifted her attention slowly back to Logan. “Loyalty is a difficult commodity to come by.”

“I don’t believe in loyalty.”

“Why is that?”

“Because there are women like you.”

“You think me disloyal?”

He was still scowling. “Here he said, and lifted the cups to her lips. “Drink this.”

She turned away, making a face of disgust. “It tastes like sheep dung.”

“Drink it before I pour it down you throat.”

She considered arguing, but his expression changed his mind. “What is it?”

“Heather wine laced with arsenic.”

“Then I am certain you understand why I must respectfully refuse.”

“You’re in to position to refuse anything.”

“What about Remy?”

Logan laughed. “You expect him to save you?”

She shifted her lips into a parody of a smile.

“From me?”

She said nothing.

“For a woman of the world you are a poor judge of people, Megs.”

“Am I?’

If you think Lebleu will set himself against me to save you.”

“So loyal is he?”

He saw the trap just a moment before it snapped shut. Indeed, he almost smiled at his misstep. “I prefer to call it force of habit.”

“He has been with you a long while?”

For a moment some unknown emotion crossed his eyes, but it was gone in an instant. “Drink the wine,” he commanded once more.

“I’ve a strange aversion to poison.”

‘He looked tired she thought, and older than she first thought.’

“Tis nothing but herbed wine.”

“And I should trust you?”

“I don’t care if you trust me or not, but I’ll not have you swooning again!”

“Swooning!” Indignant anger bubbled up inside her. “Is that what you call it when one is struck on the head while defending herself from execrable brigands?”

“Execrable brigands!?!” he scoffed, perhaps at her choice of words. “They were nothing but a one armed petty thief and his dwarfed companion.”

She drew herself up. “I’m sorry if my tormentors were not to your liking.”

He shook his head. “Tis a sorry day when Scotland’s premier thief can’t best a pair of doddering miscreants.”

“Again, my apologies.”

The room went silent. He had the deep penetrating gaze of a wolverine. “So you admit you true identity?”

“I admit that you are a spineless cur.”

“You almost make me wonder why I rescued you.”

“Rescued me!” She growled the words at him, though, if she remembered correctly ladies weren’t suppose to growl. Drawing a deep breath she steadied herself. “It was you who put me into their midst. It was I who distracted them with their own witless brawling.”

“You set them to quarrelling?”

“I thought it preferable to rape.”

For a moment she thought he would respond, but he remained as he was. “Drink this wine,” he said instead.

“No.”

“Drink it!” he ordered, “or I swear, Pikeshead prison will look as rosy as an afternoon jaunt in the park.”

She wanted nothing more than to resist him, but his eyes were deadly earnest, and she was no fool. The wine tasted like yesterday’s death.

“Where else do you hurt?”

“What?’

“Besides your head.” He said the words as if she were daft. “Where else are you injured?”

“Why? Do you keep a list? So many a day to reach your quota?”

“Dammit, woman! I’m surprised he didn’t kill you, too!”

Her stomach twisted. “You said he was only a petty thief.”

Logan scowled. “Is that what he told you?”

“We didn’t have a great deal of time to converse. What with his companion wanting to rape me, and the woman in the next cell…”

“Christ I’m talking about Creed!”

She blinked trying to assimilate the new information. “Whom did he kill?”

A muscle jumped inside his jaw, and he drew a deep breath as if trying to steady himself. “Where else are you hurt?”

“If you are so concerned with my well being, then you should allow me to see a physician.”

“Hoping to escape Megs?’

“Hoping to stay alive, regardless of your cruelty.”

“Perhaps you want me to check your well being for myself?” he asked, his hand was suddenly caressing her thigh.

She glanced at him. “Touch me again, and I shall not need Remy’s help to dismember you.”

“You threaten me again?”

“No.” She raised her chin. He touched a finger to its center. She jerked away. “I tell the truth.”

His eyes laughed at her. His mouth remained absolutely immobile. “So you would kill me,” he dropped his hands to hers, “with these hands?”

She nodded. Bending slightly, he kissed the center of her palm. Hot feelings shot through her like a flaming arrow. His lips were much softer than she had expected.

“Tis a soft little hand, for one who uses a threat so boldly.” He said, and pushed the sleeve up her arm. “And a frail arm,” he added and kissed the veins that throbbed rhythmically at her wrists.

Her body jerked at this uncustomary contact. “Cease,” she commanded.

He raised his gaze to hers as if worried. “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

She sharpened her scowl. Her heart was beating overtime, and her breath was coming fast. “Unhand me or you shall surely rue the day.”

“Rue the day.” He smiled at that. “You speak very well, for a murderous thief,” he said, and kissed the bend of her elbow.

“Desist Howlett, or you shall regret your actions.”

“I have many regrets,” he said, and when he raised his gaze to hers, it seemed almost like she could see them there, shadowed by a veil of bravado, but still visible. “I doubt if touching you will be amongst the worst of them.”

**
Authors Note: I hope you all enjoyed my pitiful attempt at subtle humor in this chapter.
Intrusion by j_nikki
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story

Author's note: Sorry it took me so long to get this chapter out. I added 1 or 2 new characters to this chapter in hopes of broadening the storyline.

‘…’ Indicates thought


Chapter 8:
Intrusion

************************************************************

She stared into his eyes, trying to read his thoughts, trying to discern the regrets, but in that moment he grinned, laughing at her attempts. She yanked at her hand, but it was an exercise in futility, for he held it fast.

“Release me,” she breathed.

He smiled. “I only wish to make certain you are unhurt.”

“Then maybe you should not have thrown me in prison with a pair of degenerate rapists.”

Something snapped in his eyes again. “Surely you’ve been worse places.”

His hand was easing up her arm toward her shoulder.

“Let go of me.”

“Does that hurt?” He squeezed her upper arm gently. She scowled.

“You are making a horrible mistake.”

He skimmed his hand over her shoulder. “All is well here?”

“You do not know who you are dealing with, Howlett.”

Turning his head slightly, he brushed his knuckles along her collarbone. “I believe you said your name was…Linnet Mulrooney.”

“Musgrave ,” she corrected, but his knuckles were inching downward, sapping her strength. They skimmed as low as her bodice, not detouring an inch as they slipped over her nipple.

“Nothing amiss here.”

She stilled a shiver. “Let me go, and I’ll not seek retribution.”

He smiled. Something knotted in her gut. “Tell me lass, who would do the retributing?” he asked and laying his hand flat, pressed it gently down her ribs.

“Retributing is not a proper word.”

His smile remained. “How would you seek revenge, wee Megs?”

“I have friends.”

“Any not wanted for murder and rape?

“You are not one to speak of rape.”

His eyes darkened, but finally he nodded. “You are right, I am surely not above a little rape. Still, I should have known better than to send a fragile thing into a den of…” he paused. A muscle jumped in his jaw. “…miscreants.”

“Miscreant is a pitiably weak word for the beasts I endured. His hand skimmed over her hip and onto her thigh.

“He who wastes not, wants not. I’m saving my best words.”

He was tugging at her skirts, lifting them up her legs, baring her shins, her knees. She stared at his progress, then raised an imperious brow. “If you hope to frighten me, Howlett, you will be sorely disappointed, for I fear I’ve endured far worse than you.”

“I’m flattered,” he said, and, wrapping his hands around her ankle, eased them up her leg. “But nay, sweet Megs, I do not wish to frighten you.”

She held her breath as his fingers squeezed up her knee.

“Any pain there?”

“What is your intent?” Ororo asked.

He smiled. “You may be a murderous thief Megs, but you are a bonny murderous thief, and I currently without a mistress.”

She felt her body go momentarily numb, and though she ordered herself to remain still, to withstand his ministrations, she could not. Instead, she jerked her knees up to her chest, slapping her skirts down bellow her feet as she did so.

“I’ll never lie with you!” she hissed.

He watched her in silence. “To me or with me?” Logan asked.

She glared and he laughed.

It may not be so hideous,” he assured her. “You may even enjoy it.” He reached for her, but she scrunched against the head of the massive bed.

“This I can promise you.” She raised her chin. I shall never enjoy it. Not with you, Logan.”

‘She had called him by his first name…this was proof enough that he was actually getting to her. He was wearing down that tough exterior. Her words still stung though, he would not let his pride be battered by a mere woman who was nothing but a…thief for Christ’s sake!”

“Not like you did with Creed,” he retorted.

She stared, her mind churning madly in her head.

A muscle ticked near his mouth. “Tell me what magic Creed possesses then. Perhaps I can learn from his expertise, and please you against all odds.”

She sat frozen in place. His eyes smoldered in anger, but when he lowered his gaze to her breasts, there was a new light ablaze in their depths.

“Tell me, Meg’s, do you cherish him so very much? Or do you give him all because of fear?”

“Let me go.” Her voice sounded deceptively calm.

“So that you can return to him? He shook his head. “I think I’ll keep you here, and maybe, if he cares half so much for you as you for him…” Leaning forward, he pressed a kiss to her throat. “Maybe he will come for you.”

“Howlett.” Her voiced wavered now. “Do not be a fool.” He kissed her again, in the hollow of her throat. She swallowed hard. Did a man’s touch always elicit such feeling? “Save yourself.”

“From Creed?” Logan asked.

“From me.”

He straightened slightly. They were inches apart, his gaze absolutely steady on hers. Her limbs felt weak.

“There are many things I should save myself from,” he breathed, and skimmed a finger along the edge of her collarbone, “but I don’t think I care to save myself from you.” He said and bent to kiss her neck.

Ororo jerked away and skittered off the bed. “Then you are a fool.”

He descended the mattress and stalked after her, like a beast hunting its prey. His strides were smooth. He resembled nothing more than a, wolverine, sleek, confident, and undeterred.

“Tell me Meg’s, are you worried of what Creed would say If he found you had shared my bed?”

She was nearing the door, perhaps if she could make it through, Remy would be there and…but in that moment Logan leapt, she shrieked and darted, but he caught her by the arm and spun her about. They were chest to chest, thigh to thigh. She could feel the tight expanse of her body against his, and there in the middle of his being, the hard evidence of his desire was impossible to mistake.

Fear choked her. She pushed on his chest. “No.” The word was weak, pathetic, her strength the same.

“You must pay your debts,” he said. “Here or in the dungeon. Surely one night in my bed would be preferable to a lifetime in Pikeshead.”

“You are making a mistake.”

My nether region disagrees,” he said, and, kissed the high flesh of her breast.

She gasped. He smiled. The door flew open.

“My Lord!” came an unfamiliar voice.

Her gaze darted across the room. A stranger stood there. He was immaculately dressed in a dark waistcoat and tight pantaloons. Logan did not turn, did not loosen his grip, but he spoke, nonetheless.

“Sir McCoy,” he said, but his tone was weary.

“My Lord,” he said again, his tone was tight with disapproval, “tell me ‘tis not so.”

Ororo felt his grip loosen the slightest degree. He turned with a scowl. “I thought you were in Paris.”

“I have returned, and just in the nick of time it seems.”

“That‘d be your opinion.”

Hank corrected, tight lipped. “If it can not be said correctly then it should not be said at all.”

“What do you want, Hank?”

“You cannot keep this…” his gaze skimmed her - “woman…” She had felt a host of emotions emanating toward her through the years, jealousy, avarice, hope. But never had she felt such utter disdain. “…in your chambers.”

“Aye,” Logan disagreed, but he had released her entirely now. “I disagree.”

“Then pray, my lord, what is my purpose here?”

“I’ve wondered that myself.”

“How would it look if word of this becomes loosened?”

She could almost feel Logan sigh. “How will what look?”

“The mighty Lord of Scotland with…” he indicated her with the sweep of his hand. “Her!” he couldn’t have sounded more disapproving of his master. “Really my lord!”

Logan rubbed his eyes, but perhaps there was a hint of humor quirking his lips now. “So you’ve heard of her, Hank?”

“Yes, Lieutenant Summers informed me of her presence.”

“Did he say he put her in Pikeshead?” There was something in his tone that she could not quite decipher.

“My Lord…” the man’s voice was nothing more than a whisper. “You should not have gone there yourself.”

“To Pikeshead.”

“You must think about your reputation, your safety.”

He smiled. “Aye, I’ll have to do that.”

“You think I jest.”

“No, I’m sure you don’t.”

“Your father…”

“Was a true gentleman,” Logan finished.

“And not one to take in…” he paused as if he did not want to offend her, but his expression did that for him. “If one has…” he paused again, searching for the perfect words. “If one has needs then one should keep himself to himself.”

Logan’s smile widened. “I’m sure you are not saying what I think you are saying.”

“This is not a matter taken lightly.”

“I’ve rarely taken sex lightly.”

“If you hope to shock me, you will be sorely disappointed, my lord.”

Logan laughed out loud. “And if you hope to discourage me from bedding who I will, then you‘re barking up the wrong tree.”

“She is not the proper sort.”

“I’ve always liked the improper sort, Hank”

“So you have no wish for an heir my Lord?”

Logan scowled. “I hardly think bedding the girl will make a difference on that front.”

“You think a proper heiress would want you after you soiled yourself on her?”

“I think a proper heiress would want my money regardless.”

“So jaded my lord.” He sniffed sadly. “It pains me to hear it.”

“Damn, have you come here for a reason?” he growled.

“What of disease?”

“What?”

“Look at her. The wastrel of the streets. Might you believe that she keeps herself pure?”

Logan glanced at her, Ororo stared back. “I hope not.”

“It’s not a laughing matter, my lord. She might be comely enough to look at if you’ve a weakness for that sort…but is she worth the loss of an heir?”

Logan opened his mouth but Hank carried on.

“Tis said it falls off.”

“What?”

Sir McCoy’s face was beyond red now. “Your…” he cleared his throat. “Your most private parts.”

“They can fall off?”

“I have heard it said. Surely you do not wish for that?”

“No.” Logan shook his head slowly. “No I don’t.”

“Then think long and hard, my lord, of how much you have achieved and can achieve if you keep your head.

Perhaps there was something of a pun there for Logan smiled ruefully. “Aye, I’d like to keep my head.”

“Then send her back to the dungeon. It’s surely where she belongs. Forget this foolishness with Lord Creed. It can only cause you grief.”

Remy stepped in the doorway. “Hank,” he said, “you’re back from old Paree.”

Sir McCoy turned slowly. “Aye,” he bowed, a look of total disdain on his face.

“The monsieur there are a lively lot.”

The other man’s lips pursed. “Was it your idea to bring the chit here?”

“The chit?” asked Remy, then nodded. “You mean Magical megs here? No, it wasn’t my idea. The petite swooned all pretty at Logan’s feet. He thought of it by himself. You can hardly blame the man fro taking her to his bed.” He paused looking hank up and down. “Or maybe you can.”

The room fell silent.

“She should be returned to Pikeshead.”

“Pikeshead? The lady would be too clever to stay there long. Besides, the place is crawling wit’ murderers and sodomizers. Surely you wouldn’t wish dat on your worst enemy.” Remy’s gaze sharpened. “Maybe your best frien’.”

“You go too far!” Hank’s voice shook.

“Leave the peitite alone, she’s done you no harm.”

“If she harms my lord, then she harms…”
“What do you think she’s is likely to do? De tiny ‘lil thing, wrestle him to the groud and have her way with him?”

“I know her type.”

“I doubt it.”

“She deserves to be hanged.”

“Have you nothing better to worry about? Napoleon invades Russia. England’s regent is a fool, and trouble brews in Egypt. But you are worried that Monsieur Logan might find himself a bonny lass, dashing your hopes for…”

“You are a cretin and a degener…”

“Get out, the two of you!” Logan sounded wary.

“My Lord…”

“Shut up,” he ordered.

“Howle…”

“You too,” he said and strode toward the door. They turned to follow him. “Summers.” His voice was just short of a yell. The soldier appeared in less than an instant, his face strained, his eyes wide.

“Yes my lord.”

“I’ll be gone for some hours. I’m leaving the girl here. Can I trust you to keep her safe?”

“Yes, my lord. Without a doubt, my lord. I’ll not fail you again my Lord.”

Logan nodded curtly and continued through the door. Ororo heard his voice from the far side. “Get her a meal and a change of garments.”

“Yes my lord.”

“And a bath.”

“Yes my lord.”

“And do not let her escape.”

“No, my lord. Of course not, my lord. I’ll watch her every moment.”

“Every moment?” Logan’s tone was strange and suddenly clearer, as if he’s turned back.

“Well not…not when she is bathing my lord.”

“Very well.” She heard footsteps again, then, “and Summers, relax. She’s only a lass. I’m certain you can handle the job.”
The Interrogation by j_nikki
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following story.

Author's note: Yes I have resurfaced, sorry for the long wait. I had a full plate this past semester.

Reminder: Once again my characters have more of a Scottish accent, except Remy (I’m not good at French accents though)

****Flashback****

Dedicated to: All who have been patiently waiting for so long

Chapter 9:

The Interrogation


Logan took a carriage to Pikeshead, gritting his teeth against the jostle and jolts of the horrid contraption. The streets of Portshaven deteriorated as they wound their way southward. The buildings became shabbier and the children dirtier. He scowled out the window and disembarked after a final jolting halt in front of Pikeshead Prison. It loomed over him like a gray, full cloud.

Logan stepped out of the carriage. He had insisted that he come alone, but he knew better than to think his wishes had been met. Remy Lebleu, master cardsman and frequent pain in the ass, was nearby.

Pikeshead gate master was a tall man with hair gone gray and a somewhat ghoulish expression. He bowed at Logan’s approach

“My Lord,” he said and straightened. “I swear I did not know there had been a mistake. I was told to imprison the girl, and I did. Had I…”

“Tell me,” Logan interrupted. “Do you keep such watchful care over all your prisoners?”

The warden licked his lips and shifted his eyes from side to side as if debating if this was sarcasm or a question truly asked. “I am not certain of your meaning, my Lord.”

“I mean, do you simply throw every prisoner to the wolves, regardless of their crime or station?”

“They are…” he paused for a moment as if baffled. “…criminals, my Lord. Incarcerated as a punishment for their crimes.”

Logan swallowed and straightened slightly. The man was right, of course. They were criminals, here to be punished. Logan had never been squeamish about punishment.

“It matters not if they are female or male, hardened criminals or tender maids?” he asked though he supposed it would have been a fine time to keep his mouth firmly shut.

“Tender maids.” The warden looked affronted at best. “my lord, ‘tis true, the sometimes look mild, but this I know from experience “ they would as son rip your heart from your chest as do an honest day’s labor. But…had I known you favored her, my lord…”

“I do not favor her.” He made certain his tone was chill. “But I am Lord of this isle and ‘tis my duty to look after even the lowest of my subjects.”

The warden looked confused. Logan gritted his teeth and exhaled between them. This was getting him nowhere.

“Did you recognize her?”

“Your pardon my Lord?”

“The girl,” he said. His impatience was mounting. “Did you know the girl who was brought here last night?

“I believe the lieutenant said her name was Megs.”

“But you hadn’t seen her before.”

“No, my Lord, but as I said, there are brigands and vermin aplenty in Portshaven. I cannot know them all.

Logan drew a deep breath. “I need to speak to the girl’s cell companions,” he said instead

When they were led in to the cell, there were 2 blubbering and incoherent cellmates. Logan asked them much that same questions he’d asked the warden, but they knew nothing, or at least, in his glowering presence, they professed to know nothing of the girl called Megs. They had thought her just another cell rat. They’d had no intention of harming her. Just fooling they were.

Memories knotted in Logan’s mind. The stench, the screams, the sight of tiny Megs unconscious. He was tempted to wring their scrawny necks, but they were so pitiful, so low and wretched already that he could do nothing but send them back to their cell.

Logan gritted his teeth as they were led away, and a slight growling sound escaped his lips. He turned back to the guard. “Were there any others here last night?”

“No, my Lord, just the two.”

He scowled remembering. ****Even in prison you called me Megs**** But he hadn’t called her. God only knew if he had spoken at all. Rage was a primeval thing.
“Was there another she might have spoken to?” he asked

The warden looked nervous, shuffled his feet and blinked. “There may be others she spoke to in the adjoining cell.

“I want to see them.”

“My Lord?”

“Anyone who may have spoken to the girl, but don’t’ tell them my title.”

His wish was granted, but not happily. Five people were ushered into a barren, rough-stoned room. They came one at a time: a tattered old man, a woman who cackled when she spoke, two boys barely into puberty, and a young woman.

“What’s your name?” Logan asked her. The corner of her mouth lifted with a grin. Her hair might have been brown, but there was clearly a single white streak in front. It was matted and her face dirty, but under other circumstances, she might have been pretty.

“That depends,” she said. “On why you be askin.”

“I am asking because I wish to know.”

“Oh,” she sounded bored, irritated even. “And who are you that I should be sharin’ my name?”

He paused a moment, taking in her appearance. Her gown might have been blue at one time. Now it was an undistinguished grayish hue, faded almost white at the ends of her ragged sleeves.

“Howlett,” he said, and let the word sink in for a moment. “My mother called me Logan.”

She paled, but she didn’t cower. “Bloody hell,” she murmured, and he chuckled despite himself.

“What’s your name girl?” he asked again.

She straightened her spine. “I don’t need ta…” Remy shifted his feet, settling his weight more comfortably against the wall. The girl looked nervously past Logan to the Frenchman.

“They calls me Marie,” she said

He repeated the name with a nod. “Do you know a lass named Megs?”

“Megs you say?” She glanced and Remy again. He was like an unsightly wart. Hard to ignore and harder to get rid of, thought Logan.

“No me Lord, I don’t believe I do.”

“Why are you at Pikeshaed Marie?”

“Me?” a corner of her mouth lifted as she glanced about the room. “I enjoy it here, guvner, don’t you?”

“We usually hang murderers,” he said. He would play her little games.

“Murder! I didn’t do nothing but steal some bloke’s snuffbox.”

“Really?”

“Aye. Bloody lot of good it did me, too, cause it weren’t even silver.”

“Are you saying that’s the only thing you stole, Marie?”

“On my honor, guvner, I never took nothing else.”

He smiled. “I hope you’re a better thief than you are a liar, Marie.”

“You callin’ me a liar?” her hands were balled into to fists, her bright mouth pursed.

“Aye,” he said, and nodded once. “I am that.”

She watched him for a moment, lifted her gaze to Remy, watched him again, then shrugged. “Suit yourself.”

Logan smiled. He had forgotten how much he enjoyed common thieves. “About Megs…” he began.

“There was a chit named Megs brought here last night. Or so I was told.”

“From whom?”

I ‘eard the warden say it.”

“So you’ve not heard of a lass called Magical megs?”

“Was that Megs herself!?”

“You’ve heard of her then?”

“Magical Megs? Of course I have!”

“Could you identify her?”

She shook her head slowly, her eyes widened. “Like I told you I only stole one time.”

“The snuffbox.”

“Seems a harsh sentence for one foolish mistake don’t it?”

“Your lying skills seems to be approving already.”

Anger flashed across her mobile features, but one quick glance at Remy, and she shrugged again. “I does what I can.”

“Aye,” he stood, turned away, then slowly swiveled back. “How long will you be visiting Pikeshead?”

“Six months, if’n I live that long.”

He let her words sink into the silence. “What if I set you free?”

“What?” She started suddenly, but her eyes narrowed a moment later.

If you come to Westheath and identified the thief called Megs, I’d see that you went free.”

“Magical Megs is at the castle?”

He gave her a noncommittal stare.

“Is she alive?”

“Would you care?”

A rainbow of emotions crossed her face, but finally she shrugged. Like I said guvner, I don’t know her personal.”

He nodded once, then turned away. A moment later he could hear her heckling the guards as the transported her back to her cell.

Remy was silent as he fell in beside Logan.

“What is it?” Logan asked.

“What is what?”
“You going to ask why I spoke to the girl?”

“I assume your improving your circle of friends.”

“She’s lying,” Logan countered.

“Maybe she’s afeared of you. After all, you are the Lord of this isle.”

“For today.”

Remy grinned.

“Why do you think she lied? Even if she didn’t know Megs, surely she’d say she did, just to get a chance to be free of this hell.”

“She’s naught but a thief.”

“A onetime thief.”

Remy snorted. “You come around asking bout a ‘petite named Megs. Showing a good deal of interest. She hears you got the cher’e at the castle.”

They exited the stifling confines of the prison. Logan scowled across the cobbled street toward the waiting carriage.

“Anyone in their right mind would be scared,” Remy said

Logan flashed his gaze from the restive stallions to the Frenchman.

A smile lurked just below Remy’s handsomely roguish features. “I’m talking about the girl,” he said.

“Of course.”

Remy grinned.

Logan swore in silence. “She didn’t seem scared.”

“Maybe she’s a better actor than your Megs even.”

A liveried footman lowered the carriage steps with a bow and a flourish, as if swinging wide the pearly gates of heaven.

Logan grabbed the window with a deadly grip and levered himself into the rocking casket. Remy followed in suit, wedging his body in the opposite seat.

Logan scowled. “Curious about my visit here?”

“Not at all.”

“Really?”

Remy gave him a baleful glare and pulled a curved pipe from somewhere inside his vest. “ ‘Tis pitifully obvious.”

“Oh?”

“The cher’e has bored beneath your skin.”

Logan carefully controlled both his anger and irritation. It was best to show Remy no emotion whatsoever, but Logan was not the stoic sort. Emotions and actions rode hand and hand in his world.

“The lass,” Remy sighed as he leaned back against the plush upholstery of the red velvet cushion and put a light to his pipe. “She’s made you sit up and take notice.”

“Interesting theory. You know she stole my mother’s brooch.”

The other shrugged.

“And she’s Creed’s accomplice.”

“Ahh. So we finally get to the Crux of the matter.” Remy said, and puffing once, thrust his arm out the window to rap twice on the carriages sleek mahogany siding.

There was a word from the driver, and the vehicle lurched forward. Logan gritted his teeth. Remy’s eyes seemed strangely bright as if he were enormously happy.

“Your making less sense than usual, Lebleu. I didn’t know it was possible.”

The other man smiled. “You want me to speak plain?”

“It’d be a change.”

“Very well then.” He leaned forward and looked Logan in the eyes. “The young Lord of Scotland is enamored.”

“Enamored.” Logan said the word dryly.

“Yes, he’s met a wee maid. Beautiful and fair, with a quick wit and bold manner. A maid who stirs his interests and blood like none of his highborn ladies which have come before.
“Remind me to check for vacancies for Portshaven’s asylums.”

If Remy heard him he gave no indication. “But the pirate Lord dare not let his guard down, so he proclaims her to be a thief and a…”

“She is a thief,” Logan reminded him. “She stole my brooch.”

Remy held up one long slim finger. “And not just a thief, but Creed’s accomplice. In case one death sentence isn’t satisfactory for the isle’s grand sovereign.

“Perhaps it is you who is enamored,” Logan suggested.

Remy raised his brows as if considering. His forehead wrinkled. “She is a bonny piece. If you have no use for her, I’ll…”

“Stay away from her!” Logan growled.

Remy grinned. “You’re almost too easy.”

Logan ground his teeth and managed a rough smile at the same time. “She’s my link to Creed.”

“Ahh, so that’s it. You’re not aching to have her for yourself then?”

“I’ve little use for conniving women.”

“Had your fill with Jean then?”

Logan’s stomach churned. “Leave her out of this, Lebleu.”

“Dammit!” the grin was gone. “It’s been all of two years. When might you be planning to cease your brooding?”

Logan clenched his teeth. He desperately wanted to take a swing at his lifelong friend.

“You know what you need?”

I can only hope you will enlighten me.”

Remy nodded his agreement. “You need to be bedded.”

“I’m flattered,” Logan said, careful to keep his tone dry. “But your not my type.”

“And what is your type? Some milk-fed princess who speaks of everlasting love, then spreads her legs for every handsome liar that smiles her way?”

“She was my wife,” Logan growled.

“We,” he nodded curtly. “That she was, but she’s dead now. Dead and gone.”

“You think I hadn’t noticed?”

“Yes, you’ve noticed. But little else. Since her death you’ve been a walking corpse, but it’s time to wake up now. You’re not some wayward bastard, leaping with the waves anymore. You’ve a country to rule now. Open your eyes.”

“I’m awake.’

“And the guilt is eating you every minute.”

“Guilt?” he stared at Remy in honest surprise. “Why would I feel guilty?”

“Because you wanted her dead.”

“Besides the whirring of the carriage wheels the world had seemed to go silent.

“If you’ve an accusation to make, Remy, you should take it to the magistrate.”

“Damn Hank and all those fancy words he put in your head. There was a time when I could get a straight answer from you.”

“I didn’t kill her, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“You must think me the daftest man in Portshaven. Of course you didn’t kill her, but you might as well have for the flogging you give yourself.”

“You’re a far cry off course, Remy, I feel no guilt.”

“So it wasn’t your fault she went to Creed’s bed?”

Logan tightened his grip on the window and said nothing.

“She would have lain with the devil himself if she thought it would hurt you.” Remy’s voice was suddenly quiet.

Logan turned to look out the window, but he saw nothing except Jean’s face, twisted in anger, in hatred. It was entirely possible there had never been another human being who had despised him with such hot intensity. Funny, as a young, ragged lad, he had believes a lady’s every thought would be filled with peace and light. Her smile would be radiant, her love would be pure. Jean had taught him much.

“I didn’t resent her affairs.” Logan said to the blur of passing trees.

“She was a whore, hom’e, everyone knew it.”

Logan turned slowly toward his oldest friend. “She was my wife.”

The Frenchman nodded once. “But it’s not your fault that she chose her bedmates poorly.”

“I should have stopped her.”

“How?’

“I am Lord of Scotland.’

Remy snorted. “Since when does a laird overrule a woman? You couldn’t have stopped her, not without killing her yourself.”

“Maybe I should have.”

“Maybe. But Creed beat you to it, and so you make others suffer.”

“The girl knows where to find him.”

“Does she?”

“Aye, and she’ll say eventually.”

“Planning some torture are you?”

“I thought I’d leave that up to you.”

“You’ve always been generous.”

The wheels lurched, launching the into the air. Logan gritted his teeth and swore between them.

Remy shook his head and grinned. “I love them bays.”

Logan turned his head to his companion and allowed a thin smile.

“What is it? Remy asked, his brow furrowing.

“I have a plan.”

“Does it involve me risking my life?”

“Aye.” Logan said. “That’s my favorite part.”
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=380