“Still no reply?” He asked making his way back to his seat at the terminal, strapping in as the jet sped back home.

“No, not one which is strange.” The white haired beauty steering the Jet replied with a hint of worry in her voice.

“And very suspicious.” Logan grumbled cracking his knuckles, which itched with tension.

“What do you mean? Do you think there is something wrong?” Ororo asked her fear now showing.

“Well, we’ve tried callin ‘m on tha com, and you’ve tried telepathically to reach both Jeannie and chuck, and we got nuthin. So, yeah I think something's wrong.”

“Goddess, I pray not.” She silently prayed as she pushed the jet harder

They soon arrived at the mansion and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. They landed the jet and hurried inside. Logan instantly went on the defensive, stopping them at the doorway.

“Logan what is it?” Ororo asked over his shoulder, as he held her back, behind him with his hand. He stood still, lifting his nose a bit and sniffing the air.

“Ro, you stay here,” He said turning to face her.

“Why? Logan what is wrong, tell me.” She asked her voice rising in a panic.

“I smell something.”

“What?”

“Blood.”

“Oh Goddess!” Ororo gasped as she tried to push past Logan, who held her firmly. “Let me go, Logan.” She warned with the rumbling of thunder heard overhead as a testament that she was serious.

“Ok, darlin but be prepared, there’s a lot of blood and it aint all from one person, it’s all over the house.” Logan said.

“Should we split up, I want to check the children. Or do you think there is someone in the house?”

“Naw, there aint nuthin moving in this house,”

“Nowhere?” Ororo asked in surprise. The house was filled with children.

“I can’t hear anything, but if the house was under attack, which I think it was, then the children know how to get outta tha house. So they coulda gotten out. You go check fer them and I’m gonna look outside, make sure there’s no intruders still lurkin. You gonna be ok?” Ororo simply nodded her head. They both headed out, Ororo went up the stairs and Logan back out the door. “Com check.” Logan spoke into the com link in his collar.

“I can hear you Logan, I am at the top of the stairs and am heading to the children’s wing.” Ororo whispered as she slowly walked down the hallway.

“Somebody’s definitely been here, a lota people, with guns, and judging by the tire tracks out here all over the lawn, they brought a lota trucks wit them, but aint nobody here now so I’m gonna head back in to…”

“Nooooo! No, no, no…” Ororo’s scream blared into Logan’s ear, putting him on alert as he raced, full speed back inside and up the stairs.

“Ro! Ro, where are you!” Logan called out but got no reply. Logan moved to the opened door at the end of the hallway, and was stopped in the doorway by the sight before him. Only the whimpering from the crumbled form on the floor pulled his attention from the scene of slaughter that filled the room. “Ro,” He spoke softly. She didn’t acknowledge his presence and Logan knelt behind her. “Ro, they’re all gone darlin.” Her whimper turned to a grief filled moan, which broke Logan’s heart. “Come on darlin, we should check to see if any other kids got out, come on,” He gently nudged her, trying to lift her, causing the limp body of the small child she had been holding to fall to the floor. Logan could tell that she was in shock. “Ro,” He continued in a soft voice. He turned her to face him and noticed she was covered with blood. “We have to go see if anyone else survived this, check Scott and Red’s room and Xavier’s. Come on darlin.” Logan coaxed as he slowly lead his grief stricken friend and comrade out of the room. They moved down another hallway, to the room that Scott and Jean shared, and as they stood before the door, Logan could smell the blood, and his heart nearly stopped, as fear gripped it. “Ya stay here.” He said to a despondent Ororo, who stood shivering against the wall. Logan moved to the door, turning the knob and slowly pushing the door open. Even in the darkness Logan could sense that there were ‘bodies’ in the room, and as he moved further inside he bumped something. Looking down he could see that it was a hand, a hand of a woman. “Jeannie.” He sobbed silently as he knelt down and stroked the long silky red hair. He gently pulled the hair back from her face and could tell from the expression on her face that whoever, whatever had killed her had taken her by complete surprise. Logan growled mournfully and helplessly as he closed her eyes, and then leaned in and placed a chaste kiss on her lips. “Bye Jeannie,”

Logan swiftly moved back out into the hallway and found it was empty, and again his heart froze with fear. “Ro?” He moved down the hallway at a fast pace. “Ro!” He called louder as he ran at full speed down the hall and then the stairs. When he calmed himself enough he was able to track her scent easily, and he followed it. He hurried into the room and he found her, crying as she sat at the Professor’s feet, her head resting in his lap. Logan had figured that The Professor’s death had been quick and clean, compared to the other’s, one shot to the head. “Ro, we gotta go. Whoever, whatever did this they may be back soon. We need to grab a few things and leave.” Logan suggested but Ororo didn’t move. He walked over to her, lifting her to her feet. “Ro,” He looked into void eyes and it pained him. Most of the people there had been acquaintances to him and other annoyances, but to Ororo they all had been her family, and the were all gone. “I’m sorry darlin,’ Logan said sincerely as he engulfed her into an tight embraced, which she neither welcomed nor dismissed. “I’m so sorry, but we have ta go. Come on.” He coaxed her out of the room, and quickly moved them about the mansion, grabbing clothes, and mad money, before heading out in Logan’s jeep.




"We’re gonna be ok,” Logan said more as reassurance to himself, more so then Ororo. “With our mutual bank accounts, we’ll be fine. We can get a place, settle in, try ta act normal, til this thing blows over and we can find out exactly what happened. I pulled tha tapes from the security room, it should tell us something.” He continued talking awaiting a reply and when he got none he looked over to Ororo, who sat with a blank stare on her face. “Roro, please talk ta me. Ya been so quiet since we left tha mansion, come on darlin say something, please.” In response she simply burrowed her brow and then looked down at her hands, which were covered with now dried blood. “Shit,” Logan mumbled as he sped up, hurrying to get them to the motel a few miles away.




“I ran ya bath water, it’s nice an warm.” He spoke as he re-entered the motel room with one bed that he had gotten for them. It wasn’t the Ritz, but it was clean, and Logan had used the very room on several occasions coming and going on his many trips from the mansion, in search of his past. He now stood in the bathroom doorway, drying his wet hands with a towel, waiting for Ororo to make a move, but she wouldn’t. Ororo sat on the foot on the bed and stared at the bare wall. Logan was beginning to think that a bath wasn’t the only thing she would need to rinse off the reminders of what they had seen. He moved to her, not saying a word and knelt to her feet, lifting one he began pulling off one of her shoes and then the other. Logan then moved to her top, zipping it down. “Ya know there have been times I’ve wondered what was under this uniform, a beautiful body to go wit a beautiful face, or a robot.” He chuckled hoping to get some kind of reaction, but got none. With a heavy sigh he continued undressing her in silence, and when she was completely naked he lift her in his arms, took her to the bathroom, and placed her into the tub of water. He decided he’d let her body soak, to make it easier to get off the caked on blood. He decided instead to wash her hair, which also had a little blood in it. He gently wet her hair, grabbed the bottle of shampoo, and began lathering her up. “It’s alright darlin, you’re gonna be ok. I’m gonna take care of ya, I promise.” He whispered into her ear as he slowly massaged her hair and scalp.





You must login () to review.