The Eclipse
After Alkali Lake

Musings in May – Weeks after


It snowed every night that April after the goodbyes were said… after Alkali Lake.

Locals of that hamlet in Westchester were long used to unexplainable weather phenomena. Flashes of angry thundershowers. Frustrated hailstorms which would dissipate like a calming exhalation. Balmy, cheerful days warming well within winter. The townies and weekend commuters from “The City” tolerated the quiet frost which accompanied the nighttimes, always to be reclaimed by the sun come the mornings.

Those April days were soon followed by May and her seasonal winds of promise and life. With each day born, all hint of midnight snow would melt and fade. The activity of daytime, the appointments to keep, the lessons to teach, allowed one to forget, for her to forget, if only for a few fleeting moments. Constant activity was key. But, ultimately, with the slumber of the young and the retirement of responsibilities came the quiet, dark night highlighted by the moon and her accessorizing stars, glittering like playmates, treasured companions. Time for reflection, remembrance, regrets. Soon soupy grey clouds blanket the indigo skies. Large, fat flakes gracefully dance their downward ballet. Miniature foliage from a dying dream. Occasionally, the winds would whip violently, like a tantrum or a thought shook out of the mind. The lush green grasses off Greymalkin Lane would become covered by white. Well-loved flowers braced themselves for their now accustomed forced, nightly winter.

There would be no color again this night over the house Xavier built. Built to protect, house, educate, self-actualize – train, perhaps – and ultimately love those who yearned to love themselves when the others would not.

Of color, there was none to be seen from this high vantage point. No red. No longer. Ororo surveyed her black and white world – and isn’t it all black and white anyway? – overshadowed by intangible grays. Biting breezes blew over the home where she has lived for countless years. For years far longer than those she had spent with her own parents, her actual flesh and blood, her true genetic family. This place, this home, was quickly becoming unrecognizable, although tauntingly familiar in its routine. Too much has changed, too quickly. Too soon.

And as she was silently and delicately held aloft in the winds of her Goddess’ conjure, over the estate which carried the name of the man and the movement she committed herself to so long ago, one thought whispered like a twisted affirmation of the truth in her mind…

How I have failed you so.



Between gloved index and thumb, a No. 2 pencil wiggled loosely. She gnawed at her lower lip while toes wriggled in her thick soled boots. At her teacher’s instruction, Rogue turned to page forty three. Brown flecked green eyes quickly scanned the fresh pages for any pictures to distract herself with. Her mouth bunched to one side as she sucked on her canine and incisor in idle disappointment. Soft velvet fingers lightly brushed over the neatly lined up letters and spaces combining into words on the mass printed page. Times New Roman, 10 point font? Or is that Bookman? Rogue decided she likes Arial while twirling a lock of her hair nonchalantly. Deep auburn with a bold strand of white twisted about the deep green index finger of her other hand forming a long two toned rope. Her eyes began to glaze over as the words thickened and blurred into horizontal stripes on the pages before her. She sighed a silent breath and looked for stimulation outside the window of the classroom as her teacher’s soft voice started to morph into the Mwanh Mwanh’s of a covered trumpet horn.

Her vision floated about the outer scenery of the grounds of the estate - well at least the portion off the eastern part of the mansion. The bright blue sky, the deep lush green of the trees that line the wide flat expanse of grass, the birds of reds, blues and purples were back now to join the bland browns of the ever-present sparrows, adding their melodic songs to the monotonous chirpings she had grown accustomed to. As she lost herself in thoughts of the subtle yet poignant changes marking the end of the dead rustlings of winter to the ever present undercurrent of motion and hum of life reborn with the blowing breezes of spring, her eyes fall on a tree and a man, standing side by side, and her eyes soften and mouth downturns.

Two silent companions motionless except for the movement spurred on by warm breezes blowing. She watched as her other teacher, Mr. Summers, stood before a thin white barked tree in the middle of the open glade. Rogue blinked at the recognized figure and his silent stare at a tree. The May breeze blew through his brown hair, its length longer than what she and it was accustomed to. Above and around him the slight yet blossoming leaves rustled in its own playful melody. If he heard its tune, he didn’t show it. The slump of his shoulders and his downcast head was a stark contrast to mirthful dance of branches and its dressing. Odd companions the two were. The tree had an unusual attendant in the brooding figure while itself stood tall, unabashedly free, holding up its branches and leaves high in wild abandon.

The curious pair was seemingly out of place with the rest of the natural surroundings. Thick brown barked trees native to this part of Westchester lined the outside the glade. Proud and strong, Rogue commented to herself while turning her attentions away from the living statues of the field. She flashed a slightly bitter smirk while contemplating the lifetime of trees. THOSE trees, they carry a kind of silent conceit one cannot help but respect. They had laid roots here at the estate now called Xavier’s for years. They been seen’t it all. Natives, settlers, squatters, slaves, runaways, lovers… branch swinging children, neck swinging captured - now mutants. Like seasons. Life and death comes, goes and comes again. Those trees done seen’t it all. And what strange fruit those wide-trunked trees must have had to bear. She returns her attentions to Scott as he suddenly moved forward a step and gently rested his forehead on bark. Yes, that thin tree next to the thinning man are indeed out of place, Rogue decides. That tree was only planted there weeks ago and he, well, he’s not the man Rogue remembered. She slowly gulped to remoisten her throat. A lot of changes around the same time. The time was April… after Alkali Lake. The teenager frowned deeper at the sight and the thought. Her face turned away and she roughly plopped her back on her chair’s. She wiggled her pencil idly between her thumb and middle, her eyebrows furrowed in old, deep thoughts.

She briefly smiled as a familiar gruff voice sighed resignedly in her memory. No matter how long and far he had gone, it is as if he never left her behind. She missed the little jewels he would spontaneously blurt out, he was never quite aware how profound he truly was.

And so it goes…

Indeed, Logan. Indeed. Comes, goes… you WILL come again.

Before, when she was just known as Rogue, cynicism was the salve that desensitized and ultimately protected her. But now she’s also Marie. And for Marie, who in her short life has had her share of disappointments and has witnessed the random acts of cruelty men were wont to inflict on his fellow, the honest reality of the beauty of man was like a bad dream. A slow, agonizing, surrealistic, cruel, visual and physical night terror experienced during that day above the green and blue-grays -- above Alkali Lake.

Not many words were spoken after the screams of grown men died down. Just the echo of too-fast beating hearts vibrating within the hull of the ship they were cocooned in, hovering, waiting, above raging swells and lumber carcasses. Nothing more to be done, it was all already done. A narrow escape from a certifiable death, only to be saved by the most horrific and selfless act Rogue’s young life had to witness. A selfless act that rivaled and surpassed many of Logan’s – because at least he lived.

That day, weeks later, amidst yet another daydreaming session during class, one of many attention deficit moments she would regress into while “moving on”, beyond the contemplation of trees and a man’s fingers gently caressing bark, in her thoughts Rogue would contemplate the delicate balance, that fine line, between adult self-assuredness and childlike confusion. Marie pondered the notion that mere choices could make everything tilt either way. Sanity and insanity. Life and death. Rogue and leader.

“Death is whimsical,” she overheard her teacher whisper to herself one day when she thought the others couldn’t hear. Uttered like a realization, an irony she only shared with herself, as always.

She recalled and reflected on those scant minutes, weeks prior to today’s twirled locks of hair and eyes glazing over during a recitation of Ibsen’s ennui. Marie mentally proceeded to deconstruct, rewind, review. She tried to find meaning and etymology in the words spoken only by horrified stares, blank eyes, tearful blinking.

Silence was never so deafening.





Alkali Lake – Then
She’s gone-
Don’t SAY that!
She’s gone…


On a perfect day, Scott Summers would often be so stoic and stiff to the point of other’s amusement. Logan, outside his fearful yet noble rages, was known to be the most emotionally unmovable. And never the twain shall meet; much less find anything to be considered common ground that would not include a snide comment or a silent threatening glance. On this day, the two were locked in an embrace of despair, brothers in act and feeling. And although Logan was turned away from her and Bobby, Rogue noticed the unfamiliar shudder of his body, supporting both the weight of Scott’s sorrow and his own intolerable shock and grief. Silent, except for the brief loud intakes of breath is body forced. Logan’s body denying him what his mind wanted to stop -- to breathe, to live, to continue yet another agonizing day. His words, cruel yet confirming still hung in the air: She’s gone.

Ororo, like a lost child, peered out of the pilot’s window. Persistent. Silently frantic. Looking. Looking. With unhad x-ray vision, she willed her eyes to see deeper, deeper still, into the swells of the now formed river. A sign, any sign, of her. That’s a rock. There, the remains of a violently uprooted tree. That - that’s a body... The leap of the stomach. The tight grasp of console. Then the glint of a belt, green fatigues, not black leather or red hair. That’s not her. Yet still she searched, helpless, unable to stop her now futile mission. Her self imposed duty taunted by the swift moving waters underneath the Blackbird, now more a rapid than a river.

The new one, the blue one, truly a mutant in form and ability, glanced from face to face. Completely unfamiliar with this new group who sought him, found him, had him join in their search for their companions, saved them all in one way or another, and now fully immersed in their grief. The Nightcrawler’s yellow eyes darted to Scott, who had become unintelligible in his cries and pleas for sanity, gripping at Logan’s collar like a madman, drowning. To Logan, whose eyes were in open REM, reading invisible lines in the air for meaning. To Ororo, unaware of the misery behind her, yet Scott’s sobs provided the background symphony for her shopping.

Kurt Wagner’s eyes then rested on the professor, who he had heard about from Ororo and Jean Grey herself. He who the other held to the highest regard. He who was responsible for their focus, temperament, goals - their makeshift family. He now relegated to merely sit to watch, helpless in his inability to stand, crawl, walk on his own, his chair long ripped from him in his abduction. His physical vulnerabilities cruelly balanced by his unsurpassable mental abilities. Professor Xavier seemed to have aged 20 years within the three minutes they witnessed the waters overtake and claim Jean Grey as part of the new landscape. One of his first students sacrificing herself for the good of them all, and for the continuance of his cause. His hands trembling, periodically clenched in random patterns. Head down. He had the power to dance and peruse minds, all minds, but with the wisdom and honor to not do so. His own distress amplified by the distress of the others. Jean Grey was Scott’s love, Logan’s passion, Ororo’s sister, the children’s teacher, his responsibility. He let out a moan, low, breathless, without soul, his dream a nightmare. He was prepared to die for his morals but he was now aware he was unprepared for his children to make the same sacrifice.

His moan somehow cut through the wall of Scott’s dirge. Ororo, long trained to be sensitive to the calls of the man she loved and respected, her chosen father, quickly snapped out of her focused trance. Reacting to the mournful cry, she quickly turned around in confusion. She then saw. Saw the two men reduced to children. Saw the rescued children – currently overlooked and forgotten – reduced to unwilling witnesses to pain and consequences well beyond their years. Like deer caught in the headlights of the speeding disaster of mutant existence – the reality and the pain - the adults were long accustomed to, the children mingled wide eyed in the back of the cabin. Ororo saw Marie and Bobby, clinging to each other, clutching the tangible. Ororo blinked slowly at the pair, both too young and foolish to realize that a normal life of infatuations and crushes – love - were out of reach for a mutant, especially for an X-Man. Scott’s sobs tickled a familiar memory of loss in the back of her mind. Today was evidence of their mutated lifestyle.

She looked at them. The children and Kurt looked back at her, to her, silently bombarding her with questions and pleas. What should we do? What happened? Please make it go away. For a moment, her eyes reflected the same terror and need as she quickly looked to her mentor, the one man who always had the answers. And then she saw. She saw the state the Professor was in. The wind howled outside the fuselage. The clouds moved swiftly in the winds across the sky many miles in the heavens. The elements acquiescing to her notions, calling to their mistress. It was up to her.

Her breaths came quickly as her lungs reminded her to breathe. Ororo turned quickly again to the window for another glance to the waters. Be sure. Her brows furrowed as she focused back to the cabin. The men lost in grief, the professor lost to his failure. With her eyes trained on her mentor, she slowly reached the few feet from her pilot’s perch to her teacher’s position, capturing his cheek with her outstretched hand. All eyes, save for those of the two who loved Jean Grey as a woman, were fixed on this moment. Empathy, understanding, without their crutch of telepathic thought, communicated by their eyes, between the daughter and the sire. With her touch, his eyes raised from their sorrowful weight to her soul searching ones. His blues looked into her dull, seemingly artificial browns, and like a regretful boy his eyes creased and cringed in begged for forgiveness. Her reply was in shared sorrow but with acknowledgment and promised resolve. Both hands gripped either side of his face as she lowered herself to him, his face returned downwards in acquiescence, her lips met his forehead, his responsibility now relieved. Foreheads met as she pulled it together with a settling breath, shaky in the inhalation soft and steady in its release.

I will make it better.

Head still down turned, buoyed by hers, his hand reached up and caught her wrist. Only they would know but it was understood, whether telepathic or not, communication was completed. “Washington,” she whispered as a confirmed conclusion. Their mission not yet done, the Movement still must move on. She stood up and looked about the cabin once more. With steady eyes she looked back to the children. Nod of the head indicated sanity and promised progress.

It’s okay.

A few of the children exhaled, unaccustomed to a world where adults did not know what to do. Ororo looked at Jubilation Lee with a twitch of her brow. Jubilee was the oldest amongst those in the rear. With her teacher’s message received, Jubilee, at first unsurely, started to rouse the children. Comfort and prepare. We are heading home. Satisfied with the girl’s progress, Ororo then looked to Marie and Bobby next. Pull it together, prepare and move. Marie, unable to find the needed movement in her body, just looked up wide-eyed at her teacher while Bobby’s eyes never left the ground, too much too soon. This is not real. Storm’s eyes softened slightly. Then her eyes furrowed in purpose. It is. Pull it together.

Ororo last turned to the brothers in grief. She paused in empathy and in her need to join them in mindless despair. As eyes resting on Scott, her hand caressed down the back of his head to his neck as if to gently knead away his grief. With soft eyes and tilted head, she then looked at Logan. Unaware, still staring into nothingness, his body shaking with his and his companion’s disbelief.

“Logan,” she uttered softly.

No response from the Wolverine, gone into worlds he foolishly thought were possible.

“Logan,” she spoke again, with a sharper tone to gain his attention.

This he heard finally and looked at her with a dull fire in his eyes, amazed to be thrust from that safe place he created for the moment, undoubtedly one with Jean.

“We have to go,” softly again but with purpose. “We have to go on. We have to finish.”

“No,” he spoke, voice hoarse with pain, barely above a whisper. Please no.

Her eyes held his steadily. Yes.

With outrage the dull fire grew to insane intensity.

“NO!” he screamed.

The professor’s head fell lower. The children, even the teens, jumped at his fury. The Blackbird echoed with his angry outburst.

“No! It’s not over! We are not leaving! We can’t…” He roared, stuttered, pleaded. Yet he knew the truth. She knew he knew. Death was a mutual acquaintance.

Her steady, firm gaze infuriated him. His claws popped out with a fierce metallic *SNIKT* in his instinctual, irrational defense of this fight. Three indestructible blades unsheathed inches from Storm’s face. He growled challengingly. Beneath the confrontation, Scott gave off a sob in semi-assent. Relenting to his once rival to fight the fight against which he felt too weak to endure, the truth. Yet Ororo Munroe, designation: Storm, fondly endeared silently as Goddess, did not flinch at Wolverine’s outbursts and posturing. Eyes steady, separated from his by adamantium, she read past every emotion clouded judgment, she was talking to the man.

She moved closer to him still. He leaned back, slightly startled by her unfamiliar forward movement. She rested her free hand on his shoulder, just beside Scott’s fist clutching Wolverine’s leather collar. She repeated the words he uttered only moments before, yet from her mouth they sliced into him with a terrible progress that only could be matched by his claws.

“She’s GONE.” Each word uttered as its own statement. Windows of the soul. So trite, so true, she remarked to herself as looked into his grays reading the range of emotions. With her eyes, she showed him her heartbreak.

My best friend, too. My sister, too. My love, too. She’s gone.

She continued to ignore the possible unpredictable danger as she moved ever closer to Logan. Her right hand slid down Scott’s shoulder to clutch his arm in a half hug, her grip on Logan’s firming as Scott’s relaxed.

“Retract your claws, Wolverine,” she said firmly. Her eyes furrowed to meet his challenge.

Metal claws flirted dangerously with her eyelashes as he growled one last warning. Her hand left his shoulder and gently enveloped the side of his face, fingertips about his earlobe, bottom of her hand at his chin. Her eyes softened slightly, her mouth pressed together firm. With a breathy gasp, his claws slowly retreated, his hand dropping to his side in defeat. But his eyes still burned, anger focused on her unwelcome company.

She pulled both men to her, her arm scooping Scott closer and her hand reeled Logan to rest on her cheek. She held them both then raised her head, whispering words to Logan only they two could hear. His chest rose and fell. She pulled back and with her head down turned, glanced up at Logan’s eyes, her hand trailing down the nape of his neck to his upper shoulder to cover Scott’s hand. As he answered her words with a startled look, she swiftly robbed Logan’s shoulder of Jean’s fiancée’s hand. Logan recovered with look of confusion as he realized Ororo’s theft. She took the weight and responsibility of Scott from Wolverine and maneuvered with soft, soothing words the broken shell of their field leader to a seat and gingerly buckled him in.

Logan was left standing in disbelief. Her words’ breath still tickling his ear, reeling from the burden relieved. He suddenly became aware of the cabin and her contents and looked around. While adjusting Scott, Storm whispered to Kurt instructions to ready the cabin. He avoided Wolverine who then saw Marie, his eyes confused, flashed with sudden recognition. She gave him a quick smile to show she was uninjured, his constant source of worry. Faces quickly fell as they looked at each other with the memory and realization. No, it’s not all okay. He then plopped into his seat. Ororo, bent low in constant activity, moved from Scott to the Professor and finally to Logan, rearranging positions, securing buckles, assuring the men’s safe shipment home.

She fastened Logan in and temporarily the strength in her legs gave out from underneath her as she rose to straighten them. She quickly recovered by grasping firmly to the armrests on either side of Logan, then lowered herself to her haunches willing her body to steady. Suddenly self-conscious of the others thinking she was not in control, she feigned activity by stroking down the arms of his suit quickly. Brush. Down the top then sides of his legs. Brush. Brush. Like she was cleaning of dirt and dust, her face unreadable during her unconscious act. She went to brush down the front of his chest and slowed down lost in her thoughts, stalling her having to rise and pilot the plane away. Reality suspended in nervous ticks. He remained motionless during her absentminded act. Uncomplaining. Lost again, unable to look up at her. He, like the others, didn’t return her favors with their own recognition of her loss.

In a squat before him, between his knees, her forearms resting on his thighs, lost in her thoughts she allowed her forehead to rest on his chest. She fisted her hands until the leather covering her knuckles groaned. How I envy your rage, Wolverine. His eyes blinked softly, aware.

With a deep, settling breath, she quickly rose and surveyed her ship. Kurt had cajoled the kids into semi comfort. At first, a few resisted due to his startling appearance, but his experience with funny faces and self-effacing humor soon convinced the others.

With routine focus Ororo’s hands and fingers danced between the navigation controls and the plane’s flying mechanisms. About to initiate the last motion, she paused, finger hovering above the large red button, as she scanned outside her window once more, a final confirmation. A slight silence of everyone’s seemingly held breath, awaiting her next move. Even Logan lifted his head enough to watch her lean her head against the window, slowly scanning from right to left. Then her back silently collapsed and she pressed the thrusters firmly. The Blackbird groaned in movement, as it rose over Alkali Lake with a hum and made its way south. First to Washington, then to Westchester. Back to home.

Another sob was heard from Scott, the movement away from the scene bringing a sense of finality too much to bear. Wolverine held his head in his hands, trying to will these thoughts – and why the hell not THESE memories – out of his head. The Professor turned away from everyone as if in shame. Kurt settled in and buckled up by the children, looking down in part confusion and sadness. Storm sat low in her seat, arms on both arm rests, watching the scenery move in front of her. Her breathing shallow, sedate. She again forgot to breathe, her body going through the usual motions of survival. A weight settled on her chest like bricks. Brick by brick by body…

Not again.




In medias res…






You must login () to review.