Prodigal by babs
Summary: You can never step in the same river twice.
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 16455 Read: 25083 Published: 03-10-13 Updated: 08-12-13

1. Chapter 1 by babs

2. Chapter 2 by babs

3. Chapter 3 by babs

4. Chapter 4 by babs

5. Chapter 5 by babs

6. Chapter 6 by babs

7. Chapter 7 by babs

8. Chapter 8 by babs

9. Chapter 9 by babs

10. Chapter 10 by babs

11. Chapter 11 by babs

12. Chapter 12 by babs

13. Chapter 13 by babs

14. Chapter 14 by babs

15. Chapter 15 by babs

16. Chapter 16 by babs

17. Chapter 17 by babs

Chapter 1 by babs
DISCLAIMER: I literally own nothing recognizable.
______________________________________________________________


Ororo gripped her bags tightly, her knuckles whitening over from the stress and strain. She wasn’t ready and she doubted she ever would be. And yet, she straightened her shoulders and raised her chin. With two knocks, she announced her presence. A beat later, the door opened.

“Ororo,” said Jean, her voice slightly surprised. “Hello.”

“Hello, Jean,” Ororo said calmly, not even letting on just how distressed she actually was. There was a pause; the two women took each other in, mentally remarking at just how different they were. But that didn’t matter now; there would be time for them to talk. “May I come in?”

“This is your home,” Jean said softly. “Always was.” Ororo nodded and stepped across the threshold. She flicked her eyes around the immediate area, noting how some of the statues she’d grown up seeing were covered in white cloths. Ororo put her bags down and looked around, her heels clicking on the wood floor. “Everything’s pretty much the same,” Jean said.

Ororo turned back to Jean and nodded. “Does that include my room?”

“Everything’s pretty much the same,” Jean repeated, her voice carrying a slight edge to it. Ororo nodded, holding Jean’s stare. “Do you want some help with your bags?” she asked civilly.

“Oh,” Ororo said, almost forgetting herself. “No, I’ll be...” Ororo sighed and tipped her head at Jean. “I didn’t want to come back like this--”

“But you did,” Jean said, folding her arms to her chest. She clicked her tongue and looked away. “Let me get Scott to help you.”

“Scott’s here?” Ororo asked, slightly excited. Jean nodded once. “Yeah. Great!” Jean walked away and Ororo watched the redheaded woman go. When she was firmly out of sight, Ororo sighed and palmed her forehead. This really was the worst-- coming back home when everything had changed.

“Ororo!” said Scott. Ororo turned and faced a smiling Scott, dressed in his signature khaki pants and polo shirt. He opened his arms and enveloped her into a hug. Squeezing once, Scott rested his chin on Ororo’s snowy head. “Missed you!” he said, his voice cheery. He pulled away and grinned, then rubbed her head. “All your hair has grown back.”

Ororo laughed and smacked Scott’s hand away. Despite what everyone said, Scott wasn’t a total jerk. There were times when the strict man would show his true colors. “Of course it’s all back. Hair grows.”

“And I guess eight years doesn’t hurt.” Ororo felt her genuine smile turn into something tight and forced. Scott squeezed her shoulder, his smile just as tight. “Let’s get your bags, hm?”

“Yeah,” Ororo said softly.



A few hours passed. Twilight passed and Ororo ate dinner alone; Scott and Jean had already made dinner plans that couldn’t be broken. Ororo... didn’t begrudge them; had it been Scott or Jean who randomly returned, Ororo would act just as strangely. At least they had the common sense to mask their true feelings in polite conversation.

They would have to let everything out in the open eventually, though. Ororo dreaded the day, and yet she looked forward to it for some dark reason.

When midnight rolled around and Scott and Jean still hadn’t returned, Ororo decided she would take a walk around the premises. When she was a girl, she used to spend more time outside than inside. Ororo loved nature; she couldn’t get enough of the foliage and the weather that borne the plants. Moreover, she loved the lake hidden in the forest.

She left her childhood room-- now a mausoleum of a life Ororo could hardly remember-- dressed her sweatpants, sweatshirt, and sneakers and began her trek to, and through, the forest. She had no intention of getting her cute nightie dirty and certainly not the silk robe Charles bought her dirty.

Charles.

The name filled her chest with ache and she hated herself for it. Not the emotion, but the reason behind it. She’d... ruined things between them. It took until the very end for her to stop acting the way she had and accept what was. While she was thankful she had, she still wished she had done so earlier. She became one of those people who wanted to fix a problem, but willfully remained ignorant to the solution. She’d been so stubborn and young; Ororo hated herself for it.

She shook her head and reached the lake. It was late, but she still checked the immediate area for people before she stripped down to her birthday suit. As a child-- and later teenager, she would swim in the very same lake stark naked. Charles often admonished her for it, saying that while HE could understand the human body was both beautiful and unremarkable, others wouldn’t get that; she had to cover up to respect Western customs.

Memories kept battering her mind and she swam hard, trying to tire herself out before she could cry herself to sleep. When she finished, she struggled to shore and collapsed on the grass and sand, not caring how gritty her back was getting. Her chest was heaving from exertion. Ororo looked up at the stars, her mind blessedly blank. It was so nice, not having to think about anything.

“Excuse me, but who the fuck are you?” Ororo jerked up, a gasp falling from her lips. She e reflexively crossed her legs and pulled them up to hide her bare chest and crotch. “Taking a little dip in the buff, darlin?” asked the strange man. He cocked a brow and sauntered over to her, a pack of beer in one hand and a cigar in the other.

Was this guy serious? Ororo wondered.

“You a mute?”

“I think you mean deaf,” Ororo corrected nastily, annoyed by the man’s presence. Had he not shown up, Ororo would have most likely fallen asleep outside. Not that that was a problem; there was a gate surrounding the premises and really: Who would break into a forest?

“No, I meant mute. I knew you could hear me but you weren’t saying nothing.” He stopped where her clothes were and kicked her sneakers. “Huh,” he grunted, but said nothing after.

Ororo pursed her lips. “And how would you know that? I’ve never seen you before and you’ve never seen me.”

The man scoffed. “Actually, you’re wrong.” He stepped over her clothes and continued towards Ororo. He popped his cigar into his mouth and reached into his pocket, fished out a lighter, and then lit his Cuban. He puffed twice and went back to regarding her. “You’re in Charles’ office. Roro, or some shit.” Ororo rolled her eyes at the man’s words, but felt her heart swell and sting at the information he shared with her. “And I knew you weren’t deaf because you covered yourself up and I shouted at ya. You were faced the other way. Were you deaf, you wouldn’t have known I was there.”

Ororo hummed her agreement, but stayed quiet. She wasn’t about to bare herself to this man, not when she could feel the heat of his gaze on her body. Which was odd, because Ororo felt the body wasn’t sexual or anything worth hiding. She argued that it was because she didn’t know this man and she didn’t like showing off her nude body to strange men.

“It’s Ororo, not ‘Roro,’ and certainly not ‘some shit,’” she snipped.

The man gave her a bemused look before snorting his laughter. “Well, Ororo,” he said, dragging her name out sarcastically, “it’s a pleasure to finally meet ya,” he said, bowing low to her. “You are much prettier than yer picture; Charles got that one right.”

Ororo hated herself for it, but she actually giggled. She bit her lower lip and looked away, shaking her head. “Er-- who are you?” she finally asked.

“Logan,” he said, hunkering down beside her. “Logan Howlett at your service.” He put his hand in hers, shook it once, then stroked her knuckles with his calloused thumb. “And I do mean service,” he drawled, kissing the back of her hand.

Ororo rolled her eyes and grinned. “Are you always this smooth, Logan Howlett?”
Logan smirked. “Nope. Usually I’m smoother.” He puffed on his cigar while Ororo laughed. When she calmed, he popped the tab of his beer and offered it to her. Ororo respectfully declined. “Suit yourself,” he murmured before slurping the white foam into his mouth.

They fell into a strangely amicable silence. Logan alternated between drinking his beer and smoking his cigar while Ororo watched the sky. It was comfortable, Ororo assumed, because she could sense some kind of hurt coming from the man as well. Or maybe she was reading too deeply into herself and wanted to transfer some of her pain onto another. What was the expression--

“Misery loves company.”

Ororo looked at Logan, startled. He was staring intently at her, his second beer in hand. “I’m sorry?”

Logan shrugged. “I’m thinking we’re both out here for the same reasons. Can’t be in that house without remembering every fucking good time without feeling like shit for it.” Logan rubbed his chin and put his beer in the sand. “But I could be wrong.” He took a long pull on his cigar and exhaled slowly. “Probably not, though.”

Ororo scoffed. “I didn’t know you were so philosophical.”

“And what do you know about me, darlin’?” he asked immediately, though not nastily. It was more... curious than cruel. “Hm?”

“Well,” she started, feeling nervous. Ororo shifted in the sand and shrugged a shoulder. “He didn’t... really mention you. When we wrote each other, it was always more about me. About how everything was fine and how...” Ororo looked down at her toes. “I never asked about anyone else.” She paused. “I regret that,” she admitted quietly. Without warning, her body began shaking.

Logan gave her a soft look she missed and began rubbing her back. He put down his beer and snubbed his cigar, then pulled her to him. She went without much argument and buried her head in his shirt. She wasn’t crying; Logan recalled the proud stories Charles told about Ororo, how she wouldn’t shed a tear and how she was able to remain composed.

This was the woman Charles was so proud of: this strong, resilient character he’d groomed since she was little.

Logan frowned. While he didn’t know why Ororo ran off, he was beginning to see what might have caused it.

_______________________________________________________________
Author's Note: This story is a little half baked so if there is ANYTHING you want to see happen (that would fit) JUST LET ME KNOW. Seriously-- I've sort of got an idea but it can become very dark very quickly and I don't think I want that to happen.
Chapter 2 by babs
AUTHOR'S NOTE: This chapter is more to show awkwardness. I think I'm gonna make this story relatively short but if you guys want to see anything happen LET ME KNOW. (might stretch it a bit.)
_______________________________________________________________
Ororo rubbed her brow, trying to not feel her massive headache. She’d stayed up way into the early morning talking with Logan, catching up. (But she wouldn’t be so bold as to call it that. "Catching up" required a shared history and they had none.) She’d had a beer or two and he’d had a beer or four. It was nice. And now she was exhausted and had a pounding headache. She’d never been a lightweight but it had been a while since she had alcohol; her tolerance was close to “no.”

She poured herself a cup of coffee, not caring that it would probably agitate her headache. She’d already popped an analgesic; she just needed to wake up.

Taking a sip of the overly sugared, overly creamed coffee, Ororo sighed. Pure heaven, the stuff was. Her already jittery body relished the hot coffee making its way down her throat. Ororo opened her eyes and looked out the kitchen bay windows. It was a beautiful day, but she already knew that having watched the sun come up with Logan.

“Morning,” Scott said, grabbing a cup from the cabinet.

“Morning,” she returned, taking another sip. When her stomach growled, she moved to the fridge, ready to make herself a quick breakfast. “How was dinner?” she asked kindly, refusing to let herself be bitter that they’d excluded her. You brought it upon yourself, Ororo reminded herself.

“Good,” Scott said vaguely, taking a sip of his black coffee. He glanced at Ororo. “Uh... Sorry we didn’t...”

“It’s fine,” Ororo interrupted, waving her hand. “I had a fine evening.” She took out some eggs and mushrooms. “I met Logan.”

Scott hummed around his coffee cup, watching her grab a skillet and fire up the oven. “Oh? And how was he?”

“He’s alright.” Ororo said, cracking some eggs. “Nice,” she amended. Scott rolled his eyes. “What?”

“Why does every woman say he’s nice,” Scott muttered to himself. He shook his head and put his cup down, moving to grab some slices of mostly dry bread. He’d have to go shopping later today, he mentally noted. Dropping the pieces in the toaster, he looked at Ororo. “Wait... He was home last night?”

“Well, yes.” Ororo wasn’t about to mention what time she found him or how she found. The fact that she was mentioning this to Scott at all was remarkable in some small way. The fact that they were talking at all was what mattered, though Ororo felt bad that she was using Logan as a crutch. She wished she could just dive into the conversation. Like how things used to be. But they weren’t how they used to be so why should they act like it? “I’m guessing he’s not really your number one fan, huh?” Ororo joked, nudging Scott in the side.

Scott smirked. “Only if there’s a chance I’ll walk in front of a train.”

“Wha--” Ororo put her spatula down. “You can’t be serious!”

Scott nodded. “He hates my guts. I’m sure of it.”

“Why does he hate you, Scott? There’s got to be some sort of reason.”

“Oh, there is. And it’s got red hair and green eyes,” Scott said, not looking at Ororo. A heavy feeling settled on Ororo’s heart. Were Scott and Jean having some sort of trouble? Ororo certainly hoped not. “So you’re making omelets? That’s nice,” he said, smoothly changing the topic.

“As you can see,” Ororo joked, pointing at Scott’s glasses.

“Oh, har-dee-har,” Scott said flatly, a smile on his face. “My sight isn’t all that bad.”

“You sure?” asked Ororo. “How many fingers am I holding up?” she teased. She raised her hand and waggled her fingers in front of Scott’s face.

“Four and a thumb,” Scott said, grabbing Ororo’s hand from his face. “I didn’t forget everything from when we were kids.” Ororo thinned her lips to a smile and turned away from Scott, pushing her eggs around. Scott fell silent and picked up his cup of coffee, moving slightly away. “I wasn’t talking about it, Ororo.”

“I know,” she said hastily. “I know.”

“Then why are you--”

“Is that fresh?” asked a sleepy Jean. “I could use a cup of hot coffee. I’m worn out from last night.” She stretched as she walked over to the cabinet and grabbed herself a mug. Pouring herself a cup, she smiled at Scott. “Morning.” Scott returned the greeting, his cup raised. “Morning, Ororo.”

“Morning, Jean.”

Jean fixed her coffee to her liking and stood beside Scott, watching Ororo cook. “You’re making breakfast?” she asked, slightly confused.

“Yeah; I figured people would be hungry in the morning,” Ororo said loftily, not looking up from her cooking. Well, Ororo could see who she would be making headway with first. Scott, while still tense, was at least able to put up a front while Jean was being straightforward. It was weak, but she could work with a fake person than someone who was being upfront-- there would be less resistance and more willingness to hear her out. “Want some?”

Jean looked at the eggs and sniffed. “Well, I guess I’ve never had your cooking before--”

“You makin’ breakfast?” asked a disheveled looking Logan. He, like Scott and Jean, grabbed a mug and poured himself a cup of coffee, then proceeded to watch Ororo cook. (It was an annoying feeling-- being watched.) “You gonna make anything else other than eggs?”


Breakfast was just as awkward as Ororo expected it to be. They didn’t really talk and if they did, they didn’t really look at one another. Ororo could just feel their gazes, though. She just knew they wanted to ask questions and she half wished they would, but she half wished they wouldn't. There would be time to discuss what had happened; Ororo was moving back into the home Charles bequeathed her.

When it was finished, Logan flicked his eyes from Jean to Ororo. He cleared his throat loudly, breaking the silence. “The breakfast was nice, Roro.”

“Thank you, Logan,” Ororo smiled, feeling grateful.

“Mm, yes,” hummed Scott. “Your cooking is much better than it originally was.”

Ororo screwed her face in mock-anger. “I wasn’t that bad--”

“You could burn water,” Scott said flatly, a smile tugging his lips. “In fact, I think you’re the only person in the history of the world to make bad tea.”

“How do you make bad tea?” asked Logan, catching onto the light bantering. “You just dunk the bag into the water.” Scott broke out into laughter-- actual laughter-- and doubled over from the memory. Logan cocked a brow, thinking it over. “Oh, you didn’t! You don’t open the bag.”

Ororo groaned. “I didn’t... know that... then.” Scott’s laughter became louder and Ororo playfully whapped him. “Oh, stop! I was a kid and I wanted to do something nice.” Scott snorted his laughter and evaded another punch. “Quit laughing!”

“We were sick,” Scott explained, his smile and good humor so infectious Logan nearly smiled. “She was with one of the maids and asked to make the tea she was given when she was sick.” Scott sighed and shook his head. “The maid turned her head for just a second and Ororo cut the tea bags open and dumped them in the water. I think I nearly choked to death on that tea.” Scott rubbed Ororo’s back. “Thanks for that, Ro.”

“Any time,” she said sourly.

There was a silence. Jean took a sip of her coffee. “But I guess you learned how to cook in... Arkansas, was it? Or was it Louisiana?" Jean cocked her head. "Or maybe Africa.”

Ororo picked up her cup of coffee and copied Jean’s stance: elbows on the table, eyes focused on the cup of coffee. “I learned the basics in Arkansas but officially in Louisiana. I only got better in Africa.”

Jean hummed and nodded. “Was that all you learned on your... travels?”

Ororo looked at Jean and gave a tight smile. “I learned about more than just cooking while I was away.”

Jean returned Ororo’s smile. “And, tell us: What else did you 'learn', Ororo?” Jean put her coffee cup down and rested against her chair. “Enlighten us.”

Ororo put her coffee cup down, traced the rim, and then wiped her lip print away. “The usual thing one learns about while away from home.” Ororo rose to her feet and gathered her plate as well as Scott’s and Logan's. “Life.”
Chapter 3 by babs
AUTHOR'S NOTE: I'm gonna have to rework this story a bit. I know how I want it to go but the whole romance aspect of it is beginning to seem a little unnecessary even when it's crucial to the conclusion (everyone has a dog in this fight, I suppose,) so postings could potentially become erratic.
______________________________________________________________
Stuffing his hands in pockets, Logan wandered around the mansion, trying to figure out what he was doing here. He was almost positive with the way things were now that he didn’t want to stick around; Scott and Jean were being fucking annoying, and without Charles, Logan really had no one to talk to. For a second, Logan almost considered Jean as someone he could talk to, but Logan had to factor in Scott and how annoying he was-- it was a circular thing and Logan wasn’t a fan of not having options.

Truth be told, he wanted to talk to Ororo, but there were more than a few reasons as to why he wanted to talk to her. First and foremost: Ororo now owned the mansion and everything in it. So that meant she owned Logan’s room and in turn, Logan’s fate. Now, he could always go back up to Canada and figure out something there, but Logan was used to the mansion. He liked having one constant room. All he had to do was turn on the charm; the woman needed an ally and he could be just that... But at a cost. Ororo didn’t know about Logan so obviously she wasn’t aware as to the fact that Logan was living in the mansion on a semi permanent basis. With a little working, that room would be his. (It was shitty, he knew, but could you blame him?-- who wanted to be homeless?)

Logan turned a corner and found himself looking at the slightly ajar door of Charles’ office. He peeked inside whilst knocking on the wooden door once. He spotted Ororo reading a piece of paper, a serious expression on her face. “Hey,” he said. Ororo looked over at him and gave him a smile that belonged in a toothpaste ad. “Whatcha got there?” Logan walked over to her and rested against the desk.

“It’s some old letters from the bank. Nothing important.”

“Getting the estate in order,” he noted.

Ororo nodded, stroking her chin. “For the most part. Charles was prepared before... Well,” she put the paper down and rested her palms on the desk, “just before.” Logan nodded understandingly. She just wasn’t ready to say ‘died;’ Logan wasn’t either to some effect. “Er, was there something you needed? I’m a little busy,” she said, stacking some papers neatly to emphasize her point.

“Nope. I was bored so I figured I’d come bother you.”

Ororo let out a bark of laughter. “Well, you’re succeeding.” She fell into the leather chair and gathered some of her papers. “If you’re bored I can put you to good use.” She reached under the desk and hefted a box up. “Can you categorize these letters? And if you could prioritize them, that’d be great.”

“Christ, woman,” Logan remarked. “I thought you said the man was prepared!”

“He was,” she said, looking at some unopened envelopes. She tore one open and began reading. “For the most part.”

“If this is the little bit he left undone then the man was really somethin’ else.”

“He was,” Ororo said seriously, her tone slightly defensive.

Logan held her gaze. “I know.” She looked down and went back to letters and he reached into the box and pulled out a few letters. For a while they were quiet until curiosity got the better of Logan. “So Jean mentioned you went to Arkansas.”

“I did,” she said softly, not looking up from the letter but not reading it either.

“Why’d you--”

“That is not up for discussion,” she said bitingly. She looked up at Logan, her lips pursed but her eyes wide. Almost afraid. “Not that, Logan. Not that.”

“Fine,” Logan agreed. “Can I at least ask which place ya liked best?”

Ororo let an annoyed sigh. “They were all pretty much the same. They taught me different things but they were essentially the same.” She rubbed her brow. “You should’ve asked which place I wouldn’t return to,” she muttered.

“Which place wouldn’t you return to?” he repeated.

“Arkansas.” Logan opened his mouth, a question on the tip of his tongue. “But that’s all I’m saying for now.”

The other reason he wanted to talk to her was because well... She was gorgeous, interesting, and as far as Logan knew: Unavailable. Jean had Scooter and now he could have someone to himself. Not that he wanted to get tied down like Jean and Scott and find himself in an empty relationship, but Logan figured Ororo was most likely a great lay and a phenomenal conversationalist.

And while today was slightly different, last night had been so refreshing. Though she was dancing on eggshells with Scott and Jean, Logan didn’t mind Ororo at all. She was insightful, witty, adorable when she was embarrassed, and most importantly: Dark.

When she calmed from her not-crying fit, they began talking.

She shifted away from Logan, and fisted her hair. “You alright--”

“I’m fine,” she snapped. Logan snorted. She wilted and gave a defeated expression. “I just... This is hard, y’know?”

“Not really. I don’t know you, darlin’. I don’t even know why you’re back. I don’t even know why you left. And I’m not askin’,” he added, holding up his hands. Ororo nodded and bit her lip. “But if I may: Did you even want to come back?”

“That’s a bold question from a man I just met.” She grabbed a beer and popped the tab, ignoring her nudity. Logan watched her drink, waiting expectantly. She moved the beer from her lips and stared out at the lake. “I think I did want to come back. I was all over the place but never home. But then it got to be so many years and then I just felt like I wasn’t allowed to come back. Charles...” Ororo scratched her chin, “he always said I was welcome back. He didn’t care about where I had gone or how I’d been or how I was. He just wanted me back. But I wasn’t ready. I’m still not.”

“Why weren’t you ready to come back?”

Ororo didn’t bother to correct him. “That’s the question, isn’t it? The one everyone wants to ask but won’t. Because after a while you forget why leaving mattered so much, and you forget what you were so angry about. But even then you can never find the answers for why you want to return.” She shrugged. “Or if you even need to.” Ororo took a sip of her beer and wiped her lip. “Sorry if I’m not making sense.”

“No, you are.” Logan sipped his beer and furrowed his brow. “But if you can’t even remember why you were so angry, why did you feel like you weren’t allowed to return? Nothing was stopping you.” He glanced at her. “Or was there something stopping you?” he asked.

Ororo smiled, but it was so heartbreakingly sad, almost to the point of being pathetic. Logan waited, but she said nothing. And after a while of waiting, Logan assumed the question was too intrusive. If she didn’t answer, he wouldn’t blame her. If the roles were reversed, Logan would clam up just as quickly.

And then: “I felt free.”
Chapter 4 by babs
Author's note: I might just scrap this story because it's becoming too difficult to write.
______________________________________________________________________
“...I always felt better when it rained,” said Ororo softly.

Logan rolled over and looked at Ororo, who was nude and lying prone and looking up at the ceiling. She didn’t originally start out naked; Logan walked in on her reading a dusty book whilst drinking a glass of while and one thing led to another and well... Admittedly, it was really an inappropriate place to have sex, but the floor of the library was just as good as any bed. The carpets were plush and there was a wonderful fire going to dry off their bodies, though they were more sweat slicked than rain soaked. He picked up a strand of white hair and fiddled with in between his fingers. “Why?”

Ororo smiled. “I’m not particularly religious; I was exposed to several beliefs while I was... away,” she said vaguely, “but it always seemed as though water was a recurring theme.”

Logan nodded understandingly and kissed the shell of her ear. “Washing away sins.” Ororo hummed and nodded. “You have sins you want washed away?” Logan hedged.

“Who doesn’t?” she asked, facing him and cupping his cheek. Her eyes got a faraway look and then she smiled. “When I was a kid-- maybe eight or nine-- I was playing with Jean and Scott. We were,” she paused and grunted as she rolled to her side to look more firmly at Logan, “playing outside and we somehow got into a fight.”

“What was the fight about?” Logan asked. “Wait, let me guess: Jean wanted to be the princess and you also wanted to be princess.”

“And the prize goes to!” joked Ororo. Logan chuckled and stroked back some of the hair on Ororo’s forehead. “No, I accidentally kicked her in the knee. We were playing soccer and I was trying to steal the ball from her. I nearly broke it.” Logan started let out a groaning laugh and palmed his face. “It was a mistake!”

“Darlin, the way you kept making mistakes as a kid it’s a wonder how Scott and Jean are alive now.”

“The best way to learn is to make mistakes.”

“And what did you learn from almost breaking Jean’s leg? To apply more pressure next time?” he snorted.

“No,” she said defensively. “I learned that bruises come in different colors, forgiveness can be earned with chocolates, and the harshest punishment is a disappointed parent.” Ororo fell silent, not looking at Logan.

In Logan’s opinion, she spent way too much time being introspective. It wasn’t smart to linger on bad memories. “So what does this have to do with the rain?”

“Oh, right,” Ororo said. She laid flat on her back and looked back up at the ceiling. “Well, Jean was healing and I was busy trying to make up for a mistake. One of the ways Charles punished me was he made me do Jean’s chores. One such chore was weeding and tending to the plants. Coincidentally, this was where I started appreciating gardening. But anyways.” Ororo reached down and gathered the hand resting on her stomach in both of hers, then kissed his palm. “One day, I was pruning some roses, trying to get it done before it rained. In my haste, I cut my finger. And it wasn’t some small cut; I practically sliced the pad off my index finger.”

“Tell me when this story starts making sense.”

Ororo smiled and rolled her eyes. “I started crying. It wasn’t about my finger-- I guess adrenaline was pumping through me so I didn’t feel it-- but about everything else. How I’d hurt Jean, how I was forced to do her chores while she got better, how Charles didn’t... Didn’t get that it was a mistake.” She closed her eyes. “I kept messing up and now I’d just sliced my finger open and was likely to get a massive infection from being sweaty and dirty. And then it started raining.” She let out a dreamy sigh. “I was getting soaked through and when I went inside I was yelled at for getting the floor dirty, for cutting my finger, and for not coming in sooner. But that didn’t matter because I just felt... better. It was like the sky was crying with me. It was nice.”

Logan listened, wondering if Ororo was slightly crazy.
Chapter 5 by babs
Author's note: Sorry this took some time to break out. I am gonna finish this; I'm determined. But I'm also halfways drunk (YEAH COLLEGE!) and spell checking is beautiful. Enjoy.



“How was it?”

Ororo turned around and faced Jean. She was half bent, getting her shopping bags from the boot of her white Honda when Jean asked her question. Ororo escaped her-- she wasn’t used to hearing it be called hers-- mansion; she was going stir crazy and just being in the same place she grew up in was too much. It shouldn’t have been, but much of Ororo’s memories shouldn’t have happened and they did.

Ororo straightened her spine and gathered her bags, forcing a bright smile on her face. “Oh, wonderful. I was going to invite you but I couldn’t find you.”

Jean raised a brow. “I’ve been here, Ro, this whole time.”

The underhanded insult was not lost on Ororo. “Really?” Ororo asked. “I tried calling for you but you didn’t answer. So maybe you were busy? I left around ten...” she trailed off, walking to the side of her car and grabbing her purse. She flashed Jean a venomous smile, though she wasn’t sure why; Jean hadn’t really said anything biting. Ororo was probably just reading into things.

“Hmm... Ten? I was in the kitchen. With Scott--”

“Did you also have a lead pipe?” joked Ororo, her tone sardonic.

Much to Ororo’s surprise, Jean cracked a smile. “No, just some breakfast.” Jean glanced at the bags. “We were going to invite you to brunch but you weren’t in your room. So we tried Charles’.”

Ororo cocked a confused brow. “I don’t sleep in Charles’ room,” Ororo said, lost.

Jean hummed. “Yeah, that’s what I told Scott.” Jean watched Ororo move towards the door. “So I tried Logan’s room while Scott checked Charles’ room. I must say, Ororo, you are very good escaping quietly.” Jean ran her fingers through her red hair, as though she hadn’t said something particularly offensive or sneaky. “So what stores did you go to?”

“Why would you check Logan’s room?” Ororo asked, turning part way to face Jean.

Jean walked lazily towards Ororo and opened the door for what was once her best friend. “Aren’t you sleeping with him?”

Ororo swallowed. “I wasn’t trying to escape.” Not really. Ororo was going stir crazy; being in the house she was once so familiar with was making her feel strange. That, and she’d been buried under piles and piles of bills and letters. “I went shopping.”

“That’s good news then. Best news I’ve heard all week,” Jean said brightly, brushing past Ororo.

Ororo pursed her lips and followed Jean inside, telling herself that getting into it with Jean wouldn’t save their relationship. But still, it wasn’t anyone’s business who Ororo slept with. It wasn’t like Jean had some sort of stake on Logan-- Jean was married, after all.

“Logan will be pleased to know--”

But then again...

“Why? Because I fucked him?” Ororo hissed.

Jean narrowed her green eyes and smiled at Ororo. “You know, Ororo, this attitude you’ve picked up... I’m not sure I like it. You sleep with strange men, you don’t talk to your family, and you curse: You’re just like him.”

“Who? Logan?” Jean nodded. “I hardly know him.”

Jean shrugged. “You hardly know any of us, anymore.”
Chapter 6 by babs
Ororo huffed out a breath, trying to remain calm. She wanted to let Jean's comment slide-- and she had, for the most part-- but it still bothered her. It was like a nagging sensation in the back of her mind. It was just another reminder that Ororo was no longer the person she once was. And it shouldn't have been a bad thing, but it felt like it was. She'd abandoned them. There was no other way to see it, but she'd abandoned her family.

"Why so down?" Scott asked. He didn't actively seek Ororo out; he'd been coming up from the gym when he spotted her curled up by the pool. "Hm?" He asked, dropping down beside her.

Ororo gave Scott a brief smile. "Nothing, really. Just thinking.

"I'm not entirely sure that answers my question?" Scott asked, breathing a laugh.

Ororo sighed. "I... Kind of had a run in with Jean. Didn't go well."

"How do you 'kind of' have a run in with someone?" Scott asked, twisting the top of his water bottle off.

Ororo kicked some water with her big toe. "We didn't exchange words and I won't bore you with the details, but she said something unsettling."

Scott took a pull of his water and waited. He'd noticed Jean's behavior but hadn't called her on it. Scott didn't want to make waves when he, himself, was bothered by Ororo's presence. He hated himself for it, but yeah-- he had questions. "What was it?"

"Well... She said I don't really know you guys anymore." Ororo paused, watching Scott's face. She suddenly started laughing, but it was a bit hysterical. She was daring him to contradict her, and when he didn't, Ororo quieted down and kicked more water, ashamed. Ashamed she laughed and ashamed she left. "Hm."

Scott swallowed his water. "Well... You have missed out."

"I didn't mean to."

Scott looked at Ororo for a long moment then squeezed her shoulder. If she wasn't going to accept her part in this mess, she wasn't ready to talk about it. "I'm gonna go hit the showers."

"Okay." Ororo smiled up at Scott, briefly admiring how handsome he was. He'd really grown into himself, she noted. "We'll talk later."

"I'd like that," Scott called over his shoulder. He jogged to the showers, giving a passing nod to Logan.

Ororo sighed, completely oblivious to the man beside her. Oblivious, that is, until he brushed his lips over her shoulder and slid a hand down her back.


Author's Note: sorry to cut it off here, but adding sexy times would mess up the flow.
Chapter 7 by babs
For a moment, Ororo honestly thought Scott was hitting on her. Whipping her head back and shrugging away from the contact, she was met with a cock-sure smile on a ruggedly handsome face. She calmed, thankful she wouldn't have to explain the concept of boundaries and what her real feelings were towards Scott. And besides, she'd already done the "friends-with-benefits" thing; it was horrible and never ended positively.

"Logan."

Pressing a kiss to her shoulder once more, he smiled. "Darlin." He straightened up and quickly looked over her form. "You're not wet."

Ororo rolled her eyes. "No, I guess not."

"You wanna be?"

Ororo scoffed and folded her arms under her chest. "From the water, yes."

Logan cocked a brow. "We're talking about swimming?" Ororo hated herself for it, but she laughed. A pleased smile spread Logan's face. He liked hearing her laugh, but it wasn't because he necessarily liked her. It was an accomplishment, something only he could do... But then again, nobody else in the mansion was trying to make her laugh or even smile.

"So, where've you been these past few days?" Logan asked, trailing his fingers up her mostly bare thigh. Just because they were joking and talking didn't mean he still didn't want to have her right then and there; there was something particularly fascinating and exciting about having sex in a public place with a complete stranger. And Ororo was a stranger. A few conversations didn't mean they clicked on some deep level.

"Out and about," she murmured. There was no way she was going to admit to avoiding him. "You? Where have you been?"

"Around," he said vaguely. "Looking for you."

"I'm touched," Ororo said, putting a hand to her chest and batting her eyelashes. Logan snorted and gripped her thighs, turning her towards him. "What are you doing?" She whispered. Logan smirked and leaned in, trailing kisses from her collarbone to her neck. Ororo lifted her neck, allowing him better access. "Logan," she sighed dreamily.

Logan grunted something and began pressing his body weight on her, forcing her down. She made another sigh; Logan gathered she enjoyed kisses on her neck. "I want you so bad," he murmured. Ororo made a mewling noise and began kissing him back, ignoring the prickling sensation on the back of her neck.

It was... Weird. Something was weird about being with him.

He pressed a hard kiss to her chin as he braced his weight on his forearms. Ororo opened her thighs to him, then wiggled her bikini bottoms down. She wasn't in the mood for foreplay; if he wanted to have sex, it was best to make this affair quick. That prickling sensation...

Jerking his pants down just far enough to expose his erection, Ororo bit her lip. Fuck, if that didn't drive Logan crazy! He groaned as her slim fingers circled his erection and guided him to her entrance. Without much prompting, Logan surged home with a drawn out groan.

Ororo sighed at sensation. When she was a child, she used to have certain... Hang ups regarding sex. It was only for married people and was sacred. She could've laughed at herself what with her current predicament.

His thrusts were fast; he got the message that she didn't want something long and drawn out. It made him curious about her. When they first had sex, it was similar. She didn't really want to engage in foreplay but he was able to convince her otherwise. This time was different, though, in the aspect that it didn't take much to convince her to have sex with him. She just laid back and let him. And honestly, it was confusing as fuck. She didn't seem like the type to just let shit happen to her.

He wondered if her compliance had anything to do with their weird version of pillow talk.

Ororo was beginning to moan, the sound so unbelievably sexy. But it was too loud.

"Ororo?" called a voice.

Her eyes, once shut, snapped open. Logan had never seen a woman look so panicked in her life. But not two seconds later did he feel the same dread.

"Ororo, are you-- OH MY GOD!" Scott shouted. "What the hell?"

Ororo rolled away from Logan, as if physically hurt. And maybe she was hurt, but he knew it had more to do with her pride.

"Scott, I am so sorry," she started, calling after Scott's back.

"What are you apologizing to him fer?" Logan asked, pulling up his pants.

Ororo glared at Logan, her lips thinned. She was quiet for so long Logan just knew that when she did speak, it would be biting and rude.

"Don't ever talk to me again." With that, Ororo turned on her heel and hurried after Scott.

"Good luck with that!"


Author's Note: Sorry this took a while to get out but I've been having relationship issues. I met, like, the most perfect guy and I mucked it up. So, in part, some of this update is a self insert. (Sorry!)
Chapter 8 by babs
Author's Note: Alright this one is a bit more involved; I kinda wanted to show how Ororo's arrival might be taking a negative toll on Scott and Jean. Also... If there are any questions you wanted answered just lemme know (preferably in a review so I can catch it, y'know?) Also, if you're wondering I've moved on from that guy and it's whatever. The great thing about college has to be the single hot guys.



"Damn it," Ororo muttered, running a hand through her hair. Scott was nowhere in sight and she honestly didn't feel like talking to him. What could she say? Sorry for having sex by the pool but I'm an adult and can make my own decisions? And if she were to be honest, she really just wanted to get away from Logan.

She glanced over her shoulder, making sure no one was following her before ducking into an empty bathroom. She buried her face in her hands and started counting backwards from ten. She needed to think. She was acting crazy and she knew it. If she were to keep up this behavior she would... Well, she didn't want to scare anyone again. Hell, she didn't even want any attention brought on herself and yet that was all she ever did nowadays.

Straightening her shoulders, closing her eyes, and breathing slowly, she began mentally counting. When Ororo hit zero, she decided enough was enough. She wasn't going to continue feeling like crap over everything. What happened had happened and if she wasn't sorry for it then that was that. No more pussyfooting about. Yes, she was resigned.

Now, admittedly, she wished Scott hadn't caught her having sex with someone-- she could've been looking at a picture involving sex and she would've felt awkward about it-- but it had happened. And she could've handled the Logan thing better, but that had happened, too... And...

God, thinking about Logan made her anxiety rise. She'd really made a mess of things.

When she rose to go find Scott, Ororo found herself taking a wrong turn and facing an ajar doorway. She paused, slightly confused. She hadn't any reason to be confused, and yet something about this room was strange. She pushed the door open and stepped inside.



"...I really don't know, Jean. I really don't," Scott said, rubbing his eyes. He couldn't get that image from his head. "She's not the Ororo I once knew."

"That's what I've been trying to tell you, Scott," Jean pouted, sitting beside him.

"How could someone change so much?" he asked, staring at his wife as though she had all the answers. He knew it was pointless; Jean was just as confused and hopeless as Scott was at this point. The person they once called sister wasn't coming back. Whoever this new person was... Well, they weren't the person they wanted.

"I," Jean fiddled with her fingers, "want to say everything will go back to normal. Y'know? I find myself looking at her and thinking if I just say something-- the right thing-- time will have somehow reversed and everything will be the same. It's stupid," Jean concluded laughing mirthlessly.

Scott squeezed Jean's knee. "It is stupid--"

"Really, Scott?" Jean huffed. She stood up and glared at Scott. "Wow."

"Not like that!" Scott groaned loudly. "It's stupid because she's different. We have to accept that--"

"Well, forgive me for wanting my sister back."

"She is back, just not in the way you want. The way I want." He waited for Jean to sit back down. "I'm not trying to get into a fight, Jean, but wanting someone to come back the exact same way the left is a little stupid. People change. No amount of wishing or magical words will change that."

Jean pursed her lips. "Then I guess I'll take my stupidity elsewhere!"
Chapter 9 by babs
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry, everyone. The semester is so close to being done and I will finally be able to update like a regular person in the summer. Also-- THANK YOU MARBLES. I was losing my direction and hadn't even realized I didn't mention how Charles died. There's also a break-- one with Scott and Logan and one with Ororo and Jean. If it's confusing, let me know and I'll fix it.



Ororo examined a glass beaker, trying to figure out what was going on down here. There were beakers, cylinders, a Bunsen burner, scales, an examination table, several monitors, a computer, plastic tubes, and boxes. It looked like an abandoned lab... Had someone been experimenting down here, she wondered.

A chill ran up her spine at the implication. In all honesty, it looked like a failed set for a bad horror movie. And if it wasn't meant for a horror movie, then maybe for some unethical scientist. If someone was experimenting down here, who was the lab rat? Who was the "scientist"?

Wasn't Jean a doctor?

Ororo gently put down the test tube she'd been holding. If there was one thing Ororo hated, it was doctors' offices. When she was young, Charles was worried about her white hair. He'd sent her to more than a handful of specialists, trying to prove there was something wrong with her. Of course, they proved there was nothing "medically" wrong with her, but the specialists only came to the conclusion after all their needling and prodding and...

With a deep breath, she closed her eyes. It did nothing to dwell on the past.

"What are you doing down here?" Ororo gasped and turned around. "How'd you find this place?"

Ororo bit her inner cheek, debating as to whether or not she wanted to answer Jean's question. (What would she say?-- "oh well, your husband caught me screwing your paramour by the pool?" Yeah, right.) "I was just," Ororo shrugged, "looking around the lower levels."

Jean squinted at Ororo and walked up to the table with all the beakers on it. "Hm," Jean scoffed. She dusted away some invisible dirt with the flat of her hand. "You know Logan doesn't like coming in here."

"How could I know that?" Ororo spat nastily.

"Because Scott told me he caught you two." Ororo groaned without meaning to. "Ashamed?"

"Of being caught? Yes." Ororo folded her arms to her chest. "What is going on down here, Jean?" After receiving no response, Ororo repeated her question. "Well? This is my house! I should know--"

"It was for Charles." Jean put down a beaker and picked another up, examining the glass for cracks. When satisfied with finding none-- and for shutting Ororo up-- she bent at the waist to pick up an empty cardboard box. "When he got sick, he sort of... lost his mind." Jean stilled for a moment; she hated her memories of the last days. And... if she were being honest... she wished they never happened. Sometimes it was better for someone to die quickly. She and Scott could've worked out the will on their own.

A soft hand on her elbow broke Jean out of her reverie. "Jean?"

Jean pulled away as if burned. "What?"

"What were you doing down here?" Ororo asked softly.

"Charles wanted home care. We did what we could for as long as we could but eventually--"

"'We'?" Ororo asked, her brows furrowed.

"Me, Scott, Logan, Hank McCoy," Jean stated.

"Hank was here?" murmured Ororo.

"Mm," Jean nodded. "Eventually the disease won out. It just... Ate away at him," Jean spat, disgusted with the memory. Charles really did fall apart. The great man turned into basically nothing at the end.

"I," Ororo shook her head and licked her lower lip, "thought he died from heart failure."

Jean faced Ororo, slightly angered. "Did you even know about anything else? How thoroughly did you read the coroner's report?"

"I read the death certificate," Ororo said defensively.

Jean let out a bark of laughter. "The death certificate! That's it, right?" She didn't wait for a response. "Might as well, right? Considering how you didn't even go to the funeral. Have you even visited his grave?" Ororo looked down, ashamed. "No, I figured you hadn't. And why should you? Suffering always..."

"Oh, whatever, Jean!" Ororo balled her fists and glared at Jean. "You don't know shit--"

"I know Charles waited to die because he wanted to see you. You, his prodigal child who didn't give a damn about anyone but themselves!" Jean shouted.

"You don't even know the half of it, Jean! Why don't you just shut the hell--"



Scott groaned and shook his head back and forth. This year was a goddamn nightmare. How could it possibly get worse?

"Scott! Open the door!" pounded Logan.

"Go the fu--"

"Jean and Roro are 'bout to get into a fight in the lower levels."

In a heartbeat, Scott had the door open and was following behind Logan.



"What even made you come back, Ororo? You were obviously doing so well away from everyone else," spat Jean. "Answer me!"

"Why should I answer you? Huh? I'm sure you've come up with more than one possible solution," snipped Ororo.

"I don't care about what I think! I want to hear the truth." Jean stepped close to Ororo, more than ready to press her nose to Ororo's if it came to it. Jean knew about Ororo's "boundary issues." Jean narrowed her eyes. "Answer. Me."

"You don't deserve an explanation. All that matters is that I came back," Ororo parried. "Isn't that what you always wanted? Charles wrote to me--"

"Don't you dare say his name!"

"--telling me how you and Scott acted like helpless puppies, waiting for me to come back and take care of everything! Like always," snarled Ororo.

"If you always took care of everything, why weren't you here to take care of Charles?" hissed Jean.

"Consider it reciprocity," said Ororo coolly. Jean fell silent, her face paling. "Tell me, Jean, how bad did it get? Charles suffered, but did you?"

Jean pulled her arm back, ready to slap Ororo when Logan swept in and jerked Ororo away. Scott dove in and wrapped his arms around Jean's small body.

"Let go of me Scott!" shouted Jean.

"What are you-- mphf!" Ororo mumbled, Logan's hand covering her mouth.

"Sh, darlin', you've said enough."
Chapter 10 by babs
Logan didn't know where to take the pissed off woman, so he simply dragged her to a locker room and locked the door behind them. And while it wasn't the best place to take someone, at least they were secluded and no one could get in. It was just a bonus there weren't any objects she could throw around. He hoped.

Ororo whipped around to face him, her lips in a thin line. "I thought I said I never wanted to speak to you again."

Logan snorted. "The way you're acting you won't have anyone left to talk to by the time the hour's up. So keep burning yer bridges," he taunted. He waited for her reaction, for her face to soften and for her to come to her senses. Her face stayed hard.

Stubborn, this one, he surmised.

"Said some real awful shit back there," he said.

"Yes," she admitted, her voice hard. "It doesn't concern you--"

"It does when I have to save yer ass from gettin' beat--"

"You think I don't know how to handle myself in a fight?" She smirked. She relaxed her stance, though Logan could tell when someone was still tense. "If I wanted, I could move you from the door."

Logan cocked a brow. "I doubt that, darlin." She strode towards him, her walk lethal. Logan wondered if this woman ever was a model in her past life... "You gonna try?"

She stopped an arms length from him. "I will if you don't move. Out. Of. My. Way."

Logan folded his arms to his chest. "Not until you calm down."

"I'm an adult, Logan; let's not play these games."

He wanted to laugh. It always seemed like whenever someone was acting childishly, they would wave their age around like a badge. When would people realize age didn't mean maturity? "I can see yer an adult. What I don't see is you actin' like one." He clicked his tongue. "Getting into fights with sisters... Closing yourself off from yer family. Not good, darlin. Not good at all."

"Do not tell me how to act."

There was a pregnant pause between them. Logan was waiting for her to say something or for Scott and Jean to bang on the door. For something to happen, but nothing ever did.

"Then tell me why you acted like that." Logan watched as the hard expression on Ororo's face became confused. "Tell me why you said all that nasty crap," he said, throwing an arm out. "Tell me why you ain't been to Charles's grave. Even I've been a few times and I'm not kin."

Ororo stepped back and shook her head. "No--"

"You're gonna have to talk to someone, darlin," he said softly, putting a hand on her elbow. She looked at him and bit her lip. "I don't know you, but I just know you can't keep holding onto what's eating you."

"I hardly even know you."

"Sometimes we need to talk to a stranger, 'cause you ain't gonna be able to talk to Scooter and Jeannie for the next few days. You can count on that with everything you did today." Though he hadnt had much time to process everything that had happened today--Ororo's drama had been top priority for everyone-- Logan knew he was a little embarrassed that Scott had caught them by the pool. He'd have to make some sort of an apology to Scott.

She looked at him, her face nervous and had to read. She looked tired, he felt. Tired and apprehensive.

"I won't tell a soul," he promised.

Ororo nodded and licked her lower lip. "I have been to his grave," she admitted softly. "I go all the time."


AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry for the long wait. Hoped you enjoy the tease, though.
Chapter 11 by babs
"...I go all the time."


What was she accomplishing by coming out here? Maybe she was expecting some catharsis, but all she ended up doing was pulling up grass from around the grave, staring at a headstone, and getting nitpicky at the details. They'd put a silhouette of his face and Ororo was strangely bothered by it.

When she first visited his grave, she made sure to go at night. Sure, it was a little cliche but she didn't want to be seen. She felt... Wrong. The guilty part of her conscience told her that she didn't really deserve to go to his grave, but another part of her conscience-- equally confusing and doubly pronounced-- told her she needed to go; he would've wanted her to visit his grave. In the end, though, she always found herself sitting cross legged on the ground, staring at his headstone and scrutinizing the details in his face.

He was more wrinkled... Ororo didn't imagine him so wrinkly. She supposed he would always stay young... Well, young for his age.

She sighed and pulled up another leaf of grass and twirled it around. Ororo wasn't accomplishing anything, sitting outside in the moonlight. If anything, she was hurting her eyes... When was the last time she got her eyes checked, she briefly wondered.

"I think the last time was... In Africa?" she wondered aloud. She shrugged, not realizing she was talking to herself. "You know, before I went, I always thought Africa was either all pyramids, all deserts, all jungle, or all poverty. And I guess there are parts like that, but it's really just like everywhere else." Ororo flicked the leaf of grass away and hummed. "It was nice. I mean, there were some problems, but I guess that was to be expected." Ororo breathed a laugh and smirked.

For a moment, she stared at the grave. She didn't know what she was doing, but at least she wasn't sitting outside in the quiet and destroying the ground.

"You know, I never really expected to make it to Africa. After Louisiana--and really after Japan-- I was so broke. I never told you... Didn't want your blood money... But I really didn't know how I would get there. And when I finally did, I just got lost in the city." She smirked, remembering her past. "I put Remy's life tips to good use, if you know what I mean."

An indistinct memory came to her; she was hungry or bored or waiting and just pick pocketed a stranger.

"I wasn't over my rebellious streak. And anyways, I needed to be that way. I couldn't before..." Ororo trailed off, huffing hard. "I try not to get angry, but it still infuriates me. How dare you do that? How dare you treat a child like that?" She hissed. "How could you treat your daughter like that?"

Ororo waited, her nails digging into her palms. Her knuckles were whitening over, her lips in a hard line. She wasn't waiting for a response, she knew there would never be one. It made her angry, but not at him.

If it made any sense, she was angry at herself. She'd waited all those years to say something, and he'd died before she could be honest.

So it was now or never.

"I hated you," she bit, her throat tight. "For everything. And for all my hate, and for all your mistakes-- and there were many-- I think you were only doing what you thought was best," she whispered, wiping a tear from the corner of her eye before it could fall. "I was different; you didn't know what to do, so you raised me differently. You tried your hardest; I get it." Ororo wiped another tear, trying to keep her cheeks dry. "And it just makes me feel so guilty because... I still hate you."
Chapter 12 by babs
Rubbing sleep from her eyes, Ororo felt a moment of disorient. She knew exactly where she was, and she hasn't had any alcohol, and yet she felt so confused. She sat up in her bed and palmed her forehead, trying to calm herself. There was a reason she never got overly emotional. When she did, she was like a storm, all over the place and a little scary.

She kicked off her covers, contemplating whether or not it was really worth it. She'd fucked things up-- no point in using nice language. Ororo sighed and began getting ready for her day.


Scott swallowed down his coffee, avoiding eye contact with everyone. If he spoke, he kept his sentences short and sweet and to the point. He wasn't a special case, no one was looking at anyone-- it seemed like everyone who lived in this house was good at avoiding things.

God damn Ororo. Why did she have to come back? Scott wondered.

And just like that, she walked down the stairs, beautiful and puffy eyed.

He hated her. For... Everything.

"Morning," she mumbled, more to herself than anyone.

Scott didn't bother looking up. Jean got up and walked away. And while Scott knew he was supposed to set up and follow his wife, he stayed put. He deserved some answers.

"G'Morning, darlin'," smiled Logan. "Sleep good?"

Ororo quirked a smile. "I sleep good, yes. Very good."

Logan grinned. "We're not in class, darlin'. We can use colloquial terms."

Ororo poured herself some coffee and sidled up beside Logan. "You can use 'colloquial' and not 'well.' You're a mystery, Logan." She took a sip of her coffee and smiled at him, making Scott absolutely sick.

"Same could be said for you," Scott chimed.

Ororo swallowed and put her cup down. "I assume you're talking about yesterday."

"What else could I be talking about, Ororo?" Scott bit. "You're acting psychotic--"

"If you want to talk to me, Scott, why don't you take some of that malice out of your voice. Lest I remind you of things best left unsaid," she hissed.

Logan looked between the two of them, feeling excited. Oh, he loved when Scott got taken down a peg. It was like Christmas: It happened only once a year and the gift was that red blush Scott got. That and the blessed silence. If he could, Logan would've rubbed his palms together.

This was gonna be good.

"Logan, do you mind giving me and Scott some room?"

"Yeah. Sure. This is the kitchen, and that's the hallway--"

"Are you being dense on purpose?" She teased, smiling. Ororo didn't want to be alone for what was about to go down. She bit her lower lip and took one of Logan's hands into hers. "Please. We need to be alone for a moment."

He didn't know why, but something in her voice tugged at his heart strings. Ororo was going through some real stuff, and Logan didn't want to make things harder for her, she'd done a good enough job of that on her own. "I'll go see if there's a bar that serves breakfast or something."

Ororo giggled, hating how girlish she sounded. "There aren't any bars that do that, Logan," Scott remarked.

"Do you just have to be a know-it-all this early in the morning, or are you really that much of a one-eyed prick?" Logan grumbled, walking away from the scene before Scott could fire back. With something lame, no doubt.

They waited until Logan was firmly out of sight. And while they should have checked for Jean's absence, they both knew she wasn't hanging around. Jean seemingly had an endless amount of patience and kindness, but whenever she was angry, it was like she was a completely different person. She was walled off and difficult; if there was going to be an apology, it would have to come from Ororo's end.

"What the hell is up with you, Ororo? The things you said to Jean last night, the things you said not too long ago... Yesterday evening at the pool?" God, his eyes still burned from the memory. "What--"

"I'm sorry for how I acted, but you know how things were when we were kids. You were over enough," Ororo started.

"Whenever I was over, I saw Charles treat you like a princess. I saw Jean treat you like a sister. You were practically a god to them, they worshipped you!" he said.

Ororo drew out a sigh. "Appearances are deceiving, Scott never trust your eyes."

"And what does that mean? That everything was a huge lie? You're being dramatic," he groaned, rubbing his hands down his face.

She blinked. "Fine then, Scott. I'm genuinely sorry for everything I said yesterday. I want to apologize to Jean but she's avoiding me. When she's ready to talk, I'll answer all her questions." Ororo gathered her cup and the breakfast she was preparing to eat. She dumped everything down the drain and faced Scott, a blank expression on her face. "Is that good for you? Even enough? Like the Ororo you know?"

Rolling his eyes, Scott folded his arms to his chest. "Really, Ororo, grow up."

"I did," she bit, facing him. "It's just that nobody seems to want to accept that. Not you, not Jean, not..." She breathed slowly through her nose, trying to stay calm. "I can never be free here."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Blah, I'm losing track of myself and I'm getting caught up in dumb stuff so if this feels rushed or confused, my deepest apologies. At any rate, hoped you enjoyed the allusions to their powers and such.
Chapter 13 by babs
“Wow, really?” Scott faced Ororo, his mouth in a grim line. “Don’t you think that’s a bit dramatic?” Scott threw a hand in the air. “I forgot, you’re all about dramatics these days.”

“Scott--”

“No. Save it. I’m not in the mood.” He turned on his heel. “I’ll tell Jean that you’re willing to talk. I’m sure she’s going to take up on your offer. She won’t appreciate your antics, but she’ll finally get an answer.” Scott shrugged nonchalantly. “As for me,” he stopped in the doorway, flicked his eyes over her, and turned the corner to leave the kitchen, “I don’t think I care.”

Ororo stood stock still for a moment.

Scott didn’t care.

Scott always cared.

To him, it was all assessment. How people would react, how they should react. He cared: Always. And maybe not in the emotional sense-- Scott wasn’t particularly good with emotions-- but he still cared about being in the know. She didn’t really want to admit her truth, but at the same time, she still wanted to. It would be a relief, even she had to admit that. And now he didn’t care.

It was wrong of Ororo, for her to want differently, but she kind of wished he still cared.

So she rationalized and told herself he was just angry. He would calm down and then try and work things out. It was his nature and that was how things always worked.

Yeah.

“Hey,” Logan whispered, flagging her over. Had he been watching the entire time? “I was passing through. Saw you there.”

Ororo forced a smile on her face. “You’re strange.”

Logan shrugged, not really impressed. “Heard worse.” He cocked his head towards the foyer. “Wanna get out of here? Just a minute,” he added quickly. “You look like you need a break.” He shook his keys and grinned conspiratorially.

Ororo nodded. “I do.”

Logan waited. “So?”

“I can’t go, Logan.”

“Why not? Nobody wants you here.” Logan held up two hands. “No offense.”

Ororo inhaled deeply, trying to remain calm. “I understand I messed things up--”

“Damn near got Jeannie to slap the hell out of you.” Logan smirked. “Wonder if that would’ve worked,” he mumbled.

“What?” hissed Ororo, stalking towards him.

Logan rolled his eyes. “You’re lookin’ for a fight. I’m not giving you one. I’m an olive branch, Ro.”

“Some olive branch.”

“Look, kiddo, you’re not winning me over by actin’--”

“How? You’re one good line away from--”

“What? I won’t suffer one bit if you stop being my friend.” It was bullshit, but whatever. To a certain extent, he was telling the truth. That was enough for him. “You, however, will. You’ll be stuck in this nice ass mansion with two people who have no intention of moving out. If anything, they’re probably thinking about kicking yer ass out. And trust me, they’ll try. I hear ‘em whispering at night.”

Ororo scoffed. “They wouldn’t.” She glanced over her shoulder.

Logan’s face fell flat. “You sure? Think yer winning them over with your ice queen routine?”

“Original,” she said.

Logan grunted. “I didn’t think there’d come a day when I’d see eye to eye with Scott, but today...”

Ororo felt a flare of panic. She wasn’t the type to beg-- her pride kept her from asking for help-- but she knew that now was not the time to deny anyone. She was about to be trapped in a house she didn’t really want with two people who couldn’t care less for her and a man who... Well, she just didn’t want to have an awkward situation with someone she’d slept with. Been there, done that.

“Logan, look,” she started. Putting her tongue to the roof of her mouth, she thought quickly. “I’m not trying to start a fight. I’m just having the worst few days of my life.” Logan cocked a brow. “Things are... stressful. But I don’t need you adding on to my stress. And,” she continued, cutting off Logan before he could begin speaking, “I don’t want to put any of my stress on you.” Logan blinked, thinking it over. “Could we please,” she threw out her arms, “go for a walk or...” She sighed. “I just need some fresh air.”

Scott found Jean around noon. He’d gone for a jog and found himself unwilling to come back home. Funny how that was. When he got inside, he found Ororo wasn’t there. And neither was Logan. It almost made sense; Scott was angry about it. But what did he expect?-- for her to actually stick this out and come clean like she should have the first few nights?

Ororo wasn’t the type to give up her secrets.

Anyways.

When Scott found Jean, he was actively looking for her; she was where he expected she’d be: In the lower levels, specifically the lab. He wanted to give Jean the news.

“Really?” Jean said, her voice emotionless. “Well, that’s good.” Scott didn’t know what to say. “We’ll finally have our answer. The big reveal.” She grunted, hefting a large box. “Could you-- thank you.” Scott put the box in the closet, waiting. She was acting strangely. Ororo seemed to have an effect. “How was your run?” It was disconcerting.

“Fine.”

“Good.” Jean sniffed, not from tears, but from dust. She wiped her palms on her jeans and clapped them together, just to make sure. Habits, she supposed. “I was thinking, Scott.”

“About?”

“What you said. How she’s different.” Scott nodded. Jean faced him. “She better give a damn good explanation. I’m done with this.”


AUTHOR'S NOTE: NEXT CHAPTER IS GONNA BE THE ANSWER AND AFTER THAT THREE CHAPTERS TO WRAP THIS PUPPY UP. I feel really bad that I was away for so long that I SWEAR TO YOU I WILL GET THE NEXT CHAPTER UP IN SEVENTY TWO HOURS.
Chapter 14 by babs
They’d been walking around a park a few miles from home. She needed to get away and he liked the sunshine so that’s where they ended up. They hadn’t been there all day, in fact they’d only just arrived fifteen minutes ago. They’d spent the day eating breakfast-- because they didn’t have the chance earlier-- wandering around New York, watching a mime, shopping for miscellaneous items, eating a light lunch, downing cheap cookies the size of a toddler’s head, and watching a free show at the park. When they decided they weren’t interested in what the kid was playing, they decided to walk around.

It had been a better day than Ororo had expected.

Some kids ran past Ororo, startling her from her reverie. She was in the sort of blissful state where there wasn’t any thinking, just a sense of calm. She welcomed it while it lasted. “Careful!” Logan shouted, grabbing her waist and jerking her back. “You’ll get run over.”

“They’re just kids.”

“Kids? Doesn’t matter. Saying ‘they’re kids’ gives ‘em a pass. If you’re doing something shitty, you gotta know. Else they’ll never know and they’ll grow up doing the same stupid shit.” Logan grunted. “They’ll be monsters when they’re teenagers.”

“I guess,” she murmured. They continued walking for a moment, quiet. Ororo got the feeling Logan was the type of guy to do morning dates; this was probably out of his depth. Taking a girl on a walk after breakfast... This must be foreign. “Er... Thank you--”

“Don’t mention it.” They fell silent for another moment. “You know we gotta go back eventually, right?” Ororo nodded. “What do you think is gonna happen?”

“Scott probably told Jean. Jean will ask her questions. I’ll answer them,” Ororo said succinctly. They were silent again, but not because Logan wanted them to be. She could tell. He kept glancing at her from the corner of his eyes.

“You ready?”

“To head back?” Logan nodded. “No... For a little while longer? I’m enjoying your company, this day, the distraction.” She waved her hand out. “I’ll pay you back later,” she winked.

Logan grinned. “Why don’t you pay me back in the car?”

“Logan!” she gasped.

“What? You still owe me from the pool.”

“That was literally yesterday.” She paused. Had it really only been one day? “Crazy,” she mumbled. Not to be dramatic-- though Scott would beg to differ-- but her life was really falling apart. And what was she doing? She was walking around a park with a guy she liked having sex with. How queer.

“I’m still up for it.”

Her phone buzzed and Ororo checked who was calling. A text... from Jean. “Something tells me you’re serious.” Ororo sighed. “Let’s go back, Logan.”

“You’re not going to--”

“They’re ready to talk.”



Jean tapped her foot, waiting in the hallway. This was what she wanted. She gnawed at her thumbnail, checked the door again, checked her phone for messages, then refolded her arms. She was getting impatient. Hadn’t Ororo read her message? It said she did.

“I hear his Jeep,” Scott said. He’d been standing by Jean, waiting just as patiently. He wasn’t sure why, though. The entire time he’d been standing there, he had no idea about how to start this conversation. He hated it, not knowing what to do. It was just about the worst thing in Scott’s opinion. He wasn’t used to being so lost. But he knew no matter how they started this conversation, it would be messy and it wouldn’t end well. “Yeah, I hear it.”

Jean nodded and stood straight. She tucked her phone away in her pocket and cleared her throat. Now that she thought about it, her throat was a little dry. Or maybe it was just her nerves. It didn’t matter. In a few moments, trivial things like dry throats and bad nerves wouldn’t matter. And she was glad.

“--You sure you don’t want me to... Oh, hey, Scott. Jeanie.”

“Logan,” Scott and Jean said.

“Hello, Jean. Scott,” Ororo said, her voice flat. “How are you?”

“Fine, considering,” Jean answered, her voice just as flat.

“Logan, could you give us a moment in private. The three of us need to talk,” Ororo said.

Logan looked back at Ororo and felt protective. Something bad was about to happen and he didn’t want her to be alone. That being said, this was her battle to fight, if one could call “coming clean” a battle. He wanted to take her hand and let her know it was going to be alright, he wanted to say something that would help her situation out. And of the plethora of things he could’ve said to make things better, he instead nodded once and turned. “You know where to find me if you need me.”

Scott stepped forward as soon as Logan shouldered past him. If it was Logan’s way of telling Scott to take it easy on Ororo, it was going to be ignored. Logan couldn’t control Scott and he certainly couldn’t control Jean. When he was certain Logan wasn’t standing around the corner, Scott raised his voice. “Let’s go into the--”

“Charles’ study.” Ororo looked at Jean then Scott. “It’s appropriate.”

“Fine.” Jean started up the stairs. “Doesn’t matter in the end.” They marched upstairs, quiet. When they reached the doors, Ororo reached into her pocket for her keys, then opened the doors up. “They were locked?”

“Does it matter? You obviously didn’t make any attempts to come up here,” Ororo snipped. They stepped inside. Ororo had been trying to get everything organized, but it was a little more difficult than she’d expected. “Excuse the mess.”

“Hm,” said Jean. Scott remained quiet. Ororo moved to Charles’ seat and folded her hands atop his desk. “We all know why we’re here. Talk.”

Ororo cocked her head. “Where I do I start? With why I left? Why I didn’t come back? Why I have so much animosity towards Charles?”

“You have no right--” Scott faltered, trying to keep his voice down. Logan would no doubt come barreling through the doors if he felt his precious Ororo was hurt. It was disgusting. “That man treated you better than anyone I’ve ever met.”

“He gave me trinkets, adopted me, called me his daughter. He treated me well, I won’t deny that, but I won’t say he treated me better than anyone else.” Ororo swallowed and waited. Jean was itching to say something.

“Why did you leave, Ororo? I’m sick of you trying to dance around it. So just... tell us why. I’m sick of this already,” Jean said.

Ororo closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. “I felt like I was drowning here.”

“Drowning,” Jean repeated sarcastically.

“Yes, Jean.” Ororo wet her lip and stared Jean in the eye. “No matter what you think, you have to admit I was treated more strictly than you. Or Scott. I was... I was like a project.”

Scott thinned his lips. “Explain.”

“I was always hovered over, always watched. I was expected to be prim and proper. If I did something wrong, it was never just a mistake. It was like... I’d ruined his idea of how I should be. He-- Charles had me in an iron fist. It was like he controlled my every move.”

“You’re wrong!” Jean spouted. “Control you? He let you do whatever you wanted!”

“Whatever I wanted? Really, Jean?” Ororo cocked her head. “Dance classes, speech lessons, etiquette courses, gymnastics, gardening clubs. You really think an eight year old is interested in all those things? I wanted to play in dirt, not learn how to manage it!”

“You liked dance class,” argued Jean. “And you always went on about gardening.”

“I won’t deny that I liked it.” Ororo put a hand to her forehead, feeling a headache. “I was great, in fact; even I can admit that. Competitions... I’d come in first and sometimes second--”

“Mostly first,” Jean added.

“--And I never gave a fuck about any of it.” Ororo huffed a breath. “But I knew it was important. My whole worth became how well I could perform, how my name could be used in conversation. I wasn’t important if I couldn’t be bragged about and I wasn’t grateful if I wasn’t great.” Ororo slid her hands into her lap. “And one day, I snapped.”

“The night you cut your hair,” Jean said. Ororo nodded, blinking hard. She wanted to cry; she’d never voiced any of this to anyone. Charles had only ever gotten the gist of it. “What happened that night?”

Ororo smiled, but there wasn’t any happiness to it. “I’m not even sure. But I was sitting out on my terrace, thinking about the future, and what I wanted, and who I was, and I looked down and realized that... either my shoes would fall or I would fall.” Ororo blinked, feeling a tear fall down her cheek. “And that would have been okay.” Ororo sniffed and quickly wiped away her tear. “And I knew then that I needed to get away.And if I didn't, I would die.”


AUTHOR'S NOTE: TADA! The big reveal! I hope you're satisfied. And don't worry: I'll put an explanation up in the next chapter.
Chapter 15 by babs
Jean stared at Ororo, unable to say anything. She just... Couldn’t believe her sister. Suicidal because Charles wanted the best for her? It wasn’t just ungrateful, it was rude! She looked at Scott, trying to gauge his reaction; he was just as still as he was when Ororo first started talking. “Ridiculous.”

Ororo groaned. “I thought you’d say that.”

“Then why did you bother--” Jean trailed off and let out an angry sound. “Ridiculous, Ororo. You’re not making yourself accountable. You’re brushing off everything you did to Charles!”

“What about accepting everything Charles did to me? Weren’t you listening?” Ororo stood and threw out an arm, exasperated. “You’re my sister, Jean, please, listen to me. I know we’re had a strained past, and I’m sorry for that--”

“Are you?” Jean swept close to Ororo. “Are you sorry? Because last I heard, you never once asked about us!” she exclaimed. “Not once. It was always ‘me, me, me.’ You were to busy going out and being a screw up to realize I was still here, waiting on you!” Jean threw her arms up, furious. “I went eight consecutive birthdays, never getting a present, or a card--”

“Of course! The material items for Jean matter most,” said Ororo flippantly.

“No!” Jean warned. “You want me to listen to you, but you’re not going to listen to me? You want a sympathetic ear?- go ask Logan. I wouldn’t put too much stock into his listening skills, though. He’s only fucking you so you won’t kick him out.” Ororo furrowed her brows. “I am your sister. I don’t get the same shitty excuses. I get the real answer. Give me something real,” she demanded. “Did you ever think about us?”

“No,” Ororo answered, her voice hard. “I was tired of thinking about you and Scott. I wanted to focus on myself. It’s the harsh reality, but isn’t that what you wanted?” Ororo sidestepped Jean. “And anyways, do you even hear yourself talk? You’re asking about why I left and you’re still making this about yourself.”

Jean thinned her lips. “How can I not, Ororo? I needed you! I needed you, and you weren’t there!” Jean’s lower lip wobbled and her eyes glassed over. “It hurt,” she whispered. “I grew up knowing you as my closest friend and I come to find out that I didn’t mean a thing to you. I was... A burden.”

Ororo sighed. “You were never a burden, Jean. Yes, there were times were I wished things were different, but I never thought you were a burden.” She squeezed her sister’s shoulder. “You have to put yourself in my shoes. It was never about me, and if it was, it was more about my abilities. So when I finally got away, I was finally able to think about myself. I was tired of it being you first.” Ororo stood up and smoothed her hands down her lap. “If you’ll excuse me.”




His mind was tired. This was the worst day of his life, something that Scott found almost comical. Of all the things that should’ve made the list of a worst day-- a divorce, cheating, death in the family, bankruptcy-- Ororo coming clean made the list. This was ridiculous.

He ran his hands through his hair, looking over at Jean. She finally cried herself to sleep, something Scott was admittedly tired with. He wasn’t the type to be overly emotional, and he wasn’t really a fan of seeing Jean be overly emotional. Sure he liked her warmth, but he just wasn’t good with tears. It wasn’t his area of expertise.

Answers. He needed answers.

Creeping out of his room, he felt determined. There was so much he kept to himself while Ororo and Jean were arguing-- “arguing” wasn’t the right word but it was something-- and he didn’t feel right interrupting. He wished he had, in retrospect. Speaking up probably would have saved him from that dreadful confused feeling he had now.

His gut told him to check out Charles’ office, so that’s were he went. Once he arrived, he pushed the door open.

“Logan?” came a watery voice.

“No, it’s Scott.” Scott stepped inside and closed the door behind himself. “I think Logan’s asleep.”

“Just as well,” she said ruefully. “I should be, too, but...” She sighed and reached under the desk. “I can’t.” She pulled out a bottle and a glass. “Want one? I think it’s whiskey.”

“You think?” Scott asked, mildly concerned. Ororo shrugged, then nodded. “Err... Sure. I’m awake, too.”

She poured a glass and hummed. “You are awake.” She poured another glass then handed it to Scott. “Mind if I drink before you yell at me?”

“I’m not here to yell at you. I got my words in at the kitchen.” He took the glass, murmuring thanks. “I’m pissed at you, so don’t think everything’s cured.”

Ororo sniffed before slamming back her drink. She let out a groan, then sniffed again. “I figured. You’re not the forgiving type.” She poured herself another drink and capped the bottle. “Why are you here, then? If you already got your ‘words’ in.”

“Because I just don’t understand. You claimed you loved-- love,” Scott corrected, “Jean and yet...” He waved his drink around, “You haven’t proved it.”

“How do you even prove you love someone? Sending them gifts and cards?” Ororo scoffed. “It’s much more complicated when you yourself don’t know what love really feels like.” They fell silent, sipping their drinks. “I sometimes tell myself I’m strong,” Ororo said softly.

“Strong?” Scott asked.

Ororo hummed. “For so long-- while I was here and... away,” Scott nodded, “I told myself I was strong. I didn’t need to tell anyone about my painful past, about how I grew up too quickly. And anyways, no one saw past the surface.”

Scott rubbed his eyebrow with his thumb, listening. “Jean is really trying to understand, Ororo. She wasn’t trying to make it about herself.” Ororo scoffed. “What?”

“You really are a great man, Scott. You’ll go down with Jean no matter what.”

Scott deflated. “I wasn’t trying to appear weak.”

“Scott, you’re anything but weak. It takes real strength to have a drink with someone you consider your enemy.”

Scott chuckled. “You are many things, but never my enemy. I’m pissed at you, but I don’t hate you.” He took a sip. “So, uh... You and Logan?”

Ororo breathed a laugh. “It’s,” she looked down and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, “complicated. I think we just like what we can do for each other. And I don’t have the heart to make someone homeless.” Scott nodded. “Would he really be homeless without this place?” Again, Scott nodded. “Wow, talk about pressure.”

“Well, Logan was sort of the first.”

The first? “Of what?”

Scott felt a smile spread across his face. This was what he wanted when he first confronted her at the pool.

He would never presume, but maybe the old Ororo was still there.
Chapter 16 by babs
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Oh, wow! I'm seriously sorry. I've been going through some weird stuff like being in an on-and-off relationship (WORD TO THE WISE: OFF IS ALWAYS BETTER), catching up with friends, and I've just celebrated my 19th birthday so I've sort put everything to the backburner. I'm also sorry that this is gonna be a micro chapter because I'm trying to not pack in drama so I can wrap this up. SORRY! I've appreciated all my reviews- they're seriously amazing.



Jean looked around the couch, trying to find the remote. It was almost a law of the universe: Whenever you needed to change the channel from a commercial break, the remote would go missing. She briefly wondered why that was and why she was too lazy to just get up and manually change the channel. She shrugged; she was used to the convenience.

"Here," Logan grunted, holding out the remote. "It was on the table. I was just returning it."

"That's weird," Jean said, giving him a suspicious look. "I had it not five minutes ago."

Logan smirked. "Then you must've put it there."

Jean scoffed but couldn't help smiling. "Must have." She grabbed the remote and dropped down. She looked up at Logan when she noticed he wasn't leaving the room. "Uh... You want to join me?"

Logan shrugged and still sat. He remained quiet, watching Jean flick through the channels before she found something that caught her eye. It was some stupid comedy but it was better than hearing about the price of gold. He could feel her staring at him, though. "What?"

"Oh, nothing." Jean huffed a breath and smiled. "Scott sent you, right?"

"Nope."

"Oh," she said softly. She looked at the TV, quieter than before. "Ororo, then."

"I do what I want, if you hadn't noticed."

"Scott sure did." Logan and Jean looked at each other, both surprised at what she'd said. After a few moments, they both broke out laughing. "He was so mad!" Jean looked over her shoulder and smiled conspiratorially. "It was like he'd never seen a porno before."

"Gross. I don't wanna think about Scott and porn; not in the same sentence, at least. Gross, Jeannie." She threw her head back and laughed, the sound almost hysterical. (Logan figured she'd been saving that joke for a while.) When she settled, Logan smiled at Jean. "You better, then?"

"Ugh, Logan. Why'd you have to..." She huffed a breath. "I'm not better but I guess I understand it better. Well, I don't understand but... At least I know." Jean fiddled with her hands. "And as much as I hate it, it's hard to stay angry at someone you love so much."

"You ain't gotta tell me."

Jean smirked. "I guess that's right."

"Meaning?"

"I'm not saying you love her, but I do mean you like her."

"I wasn't talking about her, Jean." Jean mouthed "oh" and nodded. "But you're right enough. I do like her. She's got a charm to her when she's not bein' fucking difficult."

Jean let out a small laugh. "She was always headstrong as a child. Very independent. I used to look up to her." Jean grabbed the remote again and began flicking through the channels again. "Ah, well."

"Why not just let 'er know?- that yer not angry any more. She opened up to you." Logan turned to face Jean better, waiting.

"I want to say it's not that simple--"

"But it is."

"Yeah." Jean nodded. "It's been a rough few years. And it would be nice to live in a house where we're not planning on killing each other. Sure would make breakfast a lot safer." Logan grinned. "Though it would be nice to see you and Scott go at it shirtless."

"Really, Jean: Gross. I almost don't mind the fact that yer married."

"I'm married, not dead. If Scott can look at Ororo, I can look at you," Jean argued.

"Scott looks at Ro?" Logan immediately asked.

Jean gave a nonchalant shrug. "Why?-you jealous?" Jean taunted. Logan quickly got up. "Where are you going? To find Scott?" Jean paused. "Will you be shirtless?"

"I'm just gonna... Take a walk. Enjoy your crap. I hear they get into a fight."

Jean turned back to her show. "This is a housewife show, of course they get into a fight."
Chapter 17 by babs
Ororo stared at the grave and wondered a million things, but her thoughts were so scattered she wasn’t quite sure what she was feeling. It wasn’t good, but it wasn’t bad. She was-- or she hoped she was-- in a state of emotional emptiness. A part of her wanted to feel excited or jittery or happy or something, but she was just dry. It was a little fascinating that she was “emotionally dry” but she supposed it made logical sense. She’d done everything she could and now she was left dry.

“What’re you doin’ out here?” asked Logan. He nodded at the grave-- his subconscious refused to think of Charles in past tense, and Logan felt the presence was still very real-- then sat down beside Ororo. “It’s late.”

She hummed and set her hands on her knees, but didn’t move otherwise. “I’m thinking.”

“About?” Logan asked immediately. “Hey, y’know, I talked to Jean earlier. She said she wasn’t mad anymore.” It was kind of the truth; Logan had mostly forgotten everything Jean said, but he knew that was the overarching theme. He waited for Ororo to respond. She just nodded her head. That was really weird. “You okay?”

“I always wondered who was using me as a kid,” she started. “I always thought Charles was using me as a prize winning dog. Jean used me like a support system.” She looked at Logan. “I suppose you used me as a key.”

“Key.”

“To stay in the house.” Logan looked confused. “Scott told me you were afraid of getting kicked out. I think Jean mentioned it, too.” Logan opened his mouth to argue, but Ororo held up her hand. “I’m not mad. If I was facing homelessness, I’d do whatever I could to stay.” Ororo leaned forward and plucked grass from Charles’ grave. “And anyways, I hear that was the point of this place.”

“So you heard about the charity?”

Ororo nodded.

Before Charles died-- according to Scott-- he lamented how he raised Ororo. He wanted to make a place for kids to come to, kids whose parents treated them horribly, kids who didn’t feel as though they belonged at home and would rather live on the streets. When Ororo heard about it, she wanted to cry. She would never know if Charles really meant for the charity to be a reflection of his own parenting, but she knew it wasn’t a coincidence.

She gave a ghost of a smile and looked at Logan. “I’m happy. Excited.”

He regretted his actions. She’d been gone long enough for Charles to realize what he’d done and while she hated how their relationship worked out, she was almost happy some good would come from it. She’d grown up too quickly and now she was going to continue Charles’ dream to prevent other kids from growing up too quickly. It was nice.

Ororo turned away and felt strange. “He was a great man. I’m proud to be his daughter.”

“Really?” Logan asked, not bothering to hide his surprise. “I would’ve thought... Y’know.”

“I wasn’t raised to hate. I’m sure a part of me wants to hate Charles, and I’m sure there’s a part that does, but... I don’t want to. It’s tiring, staying angry. I don’t want to sound cliche, but I’m going to redirect this.” She nodded, assured. “My problems... I can use them to help the greater cause.” She smiled at Logan. “It’ll be great.”

Logan smiled, trying to stay optimistic. He would never say it, but there was apart of him that mourned for Ororo. Charles groomed her to stay strong, and that’s what she was doing. He hated himself for it, but Logan smiled and nodded. “Yeah. It’ll be great.”



AUTHOR'S NOTE: So if you're wondering, this story is totally done. I wanted to end it on a note that's a little more realistic of their drama. Ororo felt suffocated and that sort of stuff doesn't go away just because you admit it. Sorry this took forever to get out, but I'M SO DONE! Woot! Now to start on the second part of Inappropriate Love Story.