Convergence by windrider1
Summary: Set in no partcular verse, it's a RoLo story for the sake of RoLo. As usual there will be violence, sex and violent sex :P mixed in with the plot (I'm sure there will be a plot...somewhere...)
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Comedy, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 75750 Read: 101472 Published: 05-06-06 Updated: 09-17-06

1. Blazing Saddles by windrider1

2. Truth Behind the Absence by windrider1

3. Shipmates by windrider1

4. Rock me like a Hurricane by windrider1

5. Falling Fast by windrider1

6. Green Eyed Monster by windrider1

7. Rebellion by windrider1

8. Just Before Dawn by windrider1

9. Ignition by windrider1

10. Wild Ride by windrider1

11. High Stakes by windrider1

12. After Effects by windrider1

13. Now Comes the Night by windrider1

14. Desolation by windrider1

15. Longshot by windrider1

16. Control by windrider1

17. Nothing is What it Seems by windrider1

Blazing Saddles by windrider1
Thunderous bass and driving rhythm greeted the three rain dampened figures striding through the front door of Blazing Saddles, a high class, gentleman‘s club. Lights flickered and flashed overhead. Although an immaculately clean establishment the smell of perfume and alcohol still lingered heavy in the air.

Exotic dancers paraded around on small stages, twirling around silver poles and swaying their hips in time to the thumping bass. Tops and bottoms were torn away in artful displays and some clumsy first time attempts, leaving bare breasts and decorated nipples exposed for the enjoyment of the crowd on the floor.

The music was deafening and Jean Grey was forced to communicate via telepathy, her mutant gift, with her two companions.

*This is the place?*

“This is where the professor said to look.” Scott Summers said aloud, his ruby covered gaze scanning the crowd of patrons. The club was packed to bursting with barely enough elbow room to make their way towards the tables lining the walls.

*But this is a strip club!* Jean pointed out.

“Ya don’t say,” The man known in most circles as Wolverine, and to a select few as Logan, commented dryly as he shook rain droplets from the lip of his cowboy hat before pulling it down over his wild black hair.

A bountiful woman in a skimpy sequined bull’s-eye bikini top and barely-there thong approached them. “Can I get you folks anything?” she asked huskily, her lower lip forming a well practiced pout.

“We’re fine, thanks,” Jean said icily, placing her hand on Scott’s arm.

“What about you, hon?” The waitress asked undeterred, smiling flirtatiously at Logan.

“Beer.”

“Any particular kind?”

“Wet.” Logan tilted his cowboy hat down a bit further, the corner of his mouth lifted in a cock sure smirk. It never hurt to make nice with the help at any establishment, and the curly haired blonde was damn easy on the eyes.

The waitress gave a fluttery type of sigh as she nodded. “I’ll bring one right over for you.”

As soon as their buxom attendant was gone Jean turned on him. “Subtle, Wolverine. Very subtle. We’re here to find Storm, not for you to get a piece of tail.”

Logan shrugged. “Ain’t no laws that say a man can’t mix business with pleasure. You know this.” He reminded her with a dark look.

Jean glanced away uneasily. She and Logan shared more than a working relationship from time to time, despite her commitment to Scott. It wasn’t something she was proud of, but it was what it was.

“Focus, you two.” Scott interjected, seemingly oblivious to the double entendres of the conversation. “If the professor says she’s here, then she’s here. You getting anything, Wolverine?”

Logan tipped his head back, catching as many of the club’s aromas in his nose as he could. Mixed with stale body odor and a variety of perfumes and colognes he caught the fresh scent of rain and wildflowers. Ororo. Logan’s dark eyes surveyed the crowd. “She is here,” he confirmed.

“Where?” Jean asked, rising onto her tip toes and trying to see over the throng of people crowding them. Normally she’d do a psi-scan, but Ororo Munroe was nearly as difficult to scan as Wolverine. Gifted with weather manipulating mutation, her body was constantly surrounded by static and electro-magnetic energy. Jacking into Ororo for a telepath was the equivalent of sticking a fork in a light socket.

Logan sniffed again. The scent was stronger now. “Close.”

“How close?” Scott demanded.

“Your beer, handsome.” The blonde waitress reappeared from the mass of people, interrupting anything further.

“Thanks.” Logan snagged the bottle. “Hey, darlin’, you know anyone by the name of Ororo Munroe?”

The blonde shook her head, her curls bobbing. “Nope. That’s a name I’d remember, kind of a tongue twister. But the girls here rarely use their real names,” she giggled. “Like me, here I’m Trixxy, but that’s not what my parents named me.” She giggled again.

“One would hope not.” Jean muttered rolling her eyes.

“Smart girl,” Logan praised the young waitress, earning himself another fluttering sigh from the newly dubbed ‘Trixxy‘. “How about any strange faces in the crowd tonight?” he pressed.

Trixxy once again shook her head in the negative. “Just you guys. Most everybody else in here’s a regular.”

Logan frowned. “This many people are regulars?"

“Oh, yeah,” Trixxy nodded with a grin. “We’re a very busy club.”

“This could take awhile,” Scott muttered.

“Maybe if you describe your friend that would help.” Trixxy suggested.

Logan took a drink from his bottle. “Sure. ’Ro is a little taller than you, about five-seven, with blue eyes, and a knock out body. She gets a dimple in her right cheek when she smiles. She has a really great laugh,” he added, not sure exactly why.

Trixxy cocked her head, and bit her lip, seemingly contemplating. “Hm…maybe…”

“She’s tall and black with white hair. Can’t miss her.” Jean said, crossing her arms and tapping her foot impatiently, wishing she hadn’t promised Xavier that she would never willfully extract information from a person’s mind without consent.

“Oh. Nope.” Trixxy let out another bubble of laughter. “No one like that here. For a minute I thought maybe you were talking about Cleopatra, but she has black hair.” Diverting her attention to another club goer Trixxy flashed a dazzling smile towards the balding man that passed them and patted her on the backside. “You behaving tonight, Bill?” she called after the regular patron.

“Never,” the man called back with a drunken guffaw.

She laughed and waved. “Nice man. A bit of a drunk, but nice. Good tipper.”

Logan ignored her comment and demanded, “Tell me about this Cleopatra.”

Trixxy blinked took a small step away from him. “You know, I should probably get back to my tables.”

Sensing the woman’s nervousness and sudden desire to retreat in the face of Logan‘s snarl, Jean stepped towards her. “The person we’re looking for is a dear friend and her grandmother just passed away and we can’t get a hold of her,” she lied easily.

Trixxy looked increasingly skeptical. “It’s probably not Cleo then. She doesn’t have family. At least I don’t think. Look, I have tables--”

“Tell me about her and I’ll decide, ok?” Jean gave the reluctant waitress a slight mental nudge.

Sparkling brown eyes dulled a bit and became almost opaque. The practiced pout relaxed into a slack expression as Trixxy responded to Jean‘s probing. “Cleo’s one of the newer girls. Been here for…uhm, I’d say four months. Real popular.”

“Is she a waitress?” Scott asked, still perusing the crowd.

“No. A dancer.”

Logan nearly choked on the swig of beer he’d taken. “An exotic dancer?” he questioned. “Then we’re wasting our time. Ain’t no way ’Ro’s a stripper.”

Jean shot him a look. *You never know. She was a car thief.* To their informative waitress, she urged, “Go on. We’re listening.”

Trixxy continued, “Cleo’s a real nice girl. Always helping others and stuff. The other girls, even the vets look up to her.”

“Is Cleopatra performing tonight?” Jean asked glancing at the stage. A woman in a police uniform was twirling handcuffs around her finger as she strolled the catwalk.

“No. Cleo is one of the ‘look but don’t touch’ dancers. She only does private shows.”

“Well, then, how do we get a private show?” Logan inquired.

“The manager Duke can arrange it.” Trixxy replied. “I tell him, he tells her.”

Logan glanced at Scott, who nodded. “Set it up,” Scott said.

Jean released her slight mental hold on the blonde.

Trixxy blinked a few times then shook her head. “Uhm. Which one of you wants the show?” she asked, still a bit foggy.

“All of us,” Jean stated.

“Oh, we don’t do that here. It’s a one person maximum allowance.” Trixxy replied with a surprised look at Jean. She gave the redhead a once over and Jean got the mental impression that Trixxy was a bit excited by her. She moved closer to Scott.

Logan cocked his head. “Looks like I’ll be taking one for the team. Lead the way, darlin’.”

“It’s one thousand dollars for a dance from Cleo” Trixxy added.

“What?” Scott demanded. “You’ve got to be kidding--”

“Done.” Logan stated abruptly, pulling out his wallet. “I assume plastic’s acceptable.”

“Of course.” Trixxy smiled adoringly.

“Oh, no you don’t.” Jean grabbed his forearm. *You are not using Xavier’s credit card for a lap dance.*

*Only for hotel rooms?*


Jean released his arm with a glare. “You’re right, it probably isn’t even her.”

Logan lifted one shoulder. “Then I suffer through a half naked woman dancing erotically for me. It’s a hardship I‘ll just have to endure,” he flashed a feral grin.


~~~~~elsewhere~~~~


“Hey gorgeous. You’re up.”

Ororo swung around on her seat towards the barrel-chested bouncer that had opened her dressing room door. She placed the book she had been reading face down on the vanity top. “Hey, Vic. Who’s out so early this evening?” she commented as she stood.

“Some out of towner wants a good time.”

She laughed as she worked the knot of her robe. “Don’t they all.”

Bouncer Vic chuckled. “And you always deliver.”

“Flatterer.” She motioned for him to turn around.

Vic rolled his eyes, obeying. “I don’t get how a chick that parades around in front of strangers half naked can be so damn modest.”

Ororo tossed her robe onto the abandoned chair. “Because they’re strangers,” she replied. She adjusted herself and fixed the clasps to her top. A glance in the mirror told her that her make up and hair were fine. “And you’re my friend.” She nudged him with her elbow.

“Lucky me.” Vic said deadpan.

Ororo winked up at him. “You know it.” They made their way down the secure back hallway. “How is Gretchen, by the way?” Gretchen was Vic’s wife of seven years. A lovely woman with warm eyes and a sunny disposition. They were expecting their first child any day now.

“Moody as hell,” Vic answered. “Wanting ‘this baby out and out now’,” he imitated.

“But she’s feeling all right?”

“Yeah. She’s good.” He opened the door at the end of the corridor. “After you.”

She curtseyed. “So gallant.”

He brushed an imaginary spec off his black shirt, giving her a mock snob look. “Yeah, you know me. That’s how I roll.”

“Uh, huh.” She stepped through the door. Vic helped her step onto the small round stage, her gold heels reflected in he mirrored bottom. She began each performance the same way. Across the room from the client on a rotating stage with a pole and a red velvet settee. It wasn’t the most flashy set up, but it got the job done. She settled herself on the settee, adjusting the diaphanous white material of her Cleopatra costume around her legs.

“It’s me and Bruce behind the glass.” Vic told her as he placed gold bangles on her wrists and ankles.

She smiled at him. Vic and Bruce were ex Navy Seals and prone to acting very much like overprotective big brothers towards her. As a club policy the dancers were never left alone with a client and the private dance rules were very simple. Look but do not touch. These rules were not simply stated, but enforced. Vic and Bruce were two of Blazing Saddles best enforcers. They monitored almost all of her dances, occasionally replaced by one or two of the other bouncers, but that was rare. They made it a point to be on call. They took looking after her extraordinarily seriously. She didn’t have the heart to tell them that she was far from the frail female they saw her as.

“Good to know.“ She closed her eyes, humming in her head, clearing her thoughts. It was best not to think while she danced, instead she focused on feeling the rhythm of the song and let it become a part of her. It made for a more enjoyable time for both parties.

Vic squeezed her shoulder, careful not to disturb the gold glitter covering her dusky skin. “Have a good one.”

The stage began to whir and rotate slowly and the dark curtains parted revealing the interior of the private showroom. In the cushioned seat against the far wall sat the member of her captive audience. Semi hidden in shadow she couldn’t make out the person’s features, but the drawn low cowboy hat made her gut clench in an old ache.

Ignoring the brief sensation Ororo rose slowly from her seat, being certain to uncross her legs provocatively as she did. She ran her hands along her abdomen, sashaying to the slow rhythm that would soon increase to a driving beat. Some dancers preferred slow and sensual, but not her. She liked it hard and rough, a pounding beat that she could lose herself in.

Taking a calming breath Ororo let the music overtake her and began her show.

Standing with her legs apart, and towering over 6 feet thanks to her obscenely high heels Ororo Munroe was one hell of a sight.

Across the room Logan inhaled a sharp breath as she came into full view. If he hadn’t smelled her already and known it was Ororo that he would be seeing, the vision she presented would have completely caught him off guard. Dressed in Egyptian garb including headdress and kohl lined eyes, Ororo looked every bit the Cleopatra she was portraying.

Normally smooth and silky coffee skin shimmered under the low lights as Ororo swayed and bent. Her more than generous helping of breasts were barely contained in a white top with gold trim. Logan’s gaze narrowed and lingered there as tapered fingers passed the undersides in a slow teasing caress.

The leisurely journey of those hands held his attention completely as they swept up, over shoulders and into jet black--wait black?--hair. She smiled at him, slow and seductive, a parting of ruby red lips as her deft fingers undid the first clasp hidden by her hair, releasing one of the flowing scarves attached to her costume, leaving only the small top and meager bottoms.

The tempo of the music increased, as did the flow of the blood in Logan’s body. All of it was pounding in his heads. He adjusted himself in his seat. He should tell her it was him. He shouldn’t let her keep dancing. He should…but he didn’t.

There was something decidedly familiar about the shadowed cowboy watching her, Ororo thought as she let another scarf flutter to the floor. She twisted around the silver pole beside her settee, and wrapped her right leg around the base as she undulated her hips, arching her back.

Jesus. Logan’s jeans were near unbearably tight. He growled at the unexpected pressure in his balls.

Ororo’s head snapped towards him, her blue eyes narrowed.

Logan sat further back in his chair, hoping the shadows were sufficient enough to keep her from recognizing him…just yet.

Ororo gave herself a mental shake. No way was he here. That thought made her heart accelerate a bit. What the hell, she thought as the bass kicked in and the stage spun a bit faster, why not have a little fun. She closed her eyes, imagining that it was indeed Wolverine watching her dance. That it was his hands on her skin. Lost in her own fantasy she let herself go, immersed in the music and her hidden desires.

Logan leaned forward, his mouth suddenly dry as Ororo writhed and undulated provocatively, her hands touching all the places he suddenly wanted to. His cock pressed demandingly against his zipper.

The music switched again and Ororo swung her hips as she stepped from the stage, dancing along the mirrored floor. One sandaled high heel was kicked off, followed immediately by the other and then she exploded.

That was the only way Logan could think to describe what happened. She became a living embodiment of sex and fire, seduction and savage lust. Her seductive smile changed from playful to dark and her movements became aggressive and primal. It was the most erotic thing he had ever seen.

He sat up a bit straighter in his seat realizing that she was making her way towards him on all fours, her gaze glittering and intense.

Ororo rolled her shoulders, as she shimmied to a kneeled position in front of her client. She lifted her deep cerulean blues and they collided with glittering black obsidian.

“Hello, Cleo.” Logan smirked.

The world came to a screeching halt. Ororo’s mouth parted on a strangled gasp. “Wolverine? What on earth are you doing?” She fought the absurd desire to cover herself.

His grin was positively savage. “Right now, I’m enjoying the show.”

Heat crept up Ororo’s neck and bloomed in her cheeks. Out of her peripheral she caught two red flashes beside the mirrored wall. The boys wanted to know if she was all right. She hadn’t realized she’d stopped dancing. Not entirely certain as to what Wolverine wanted she began to move again, this time mere inches in front of the feral mutant. “Why are you here?” she clarified, turning and bending.

Logan bit back a groan. “Xavier.” She moved alongside of him, rubbing her leg against his as she danced. He couldn’t finish his train of thought.

“Yes?” she prompted.

Logan let his head fall back against the chair cushion. “He wants you back on the team.”

“No thanks.” Ororo stated. She watched Logan’s jaw tighten and his hands clench into fists. He was getting aroused, she noted with some surprise. That thought excited her and gave her a small thrill. Deciding she liked having the upper hand, if only for a moment, she positioned herself closer, her breath stirring his side burns and the swells of her breasts resting just beneath his chin. “I’m not interested.”

Logan inhaled her scent. “It ain’t negotiable.” His hands flexed.

“No touching,” she reminded him. She removed his cowboy hat and placed it atop her head.

Logan grit his teeth. “You’re touchin’.”

She laughed throatily straddling him. “I’m allowed to. I can touch you anyway I want.”

Then do it! His mind roared.

She trailed her fingers through his hair, moving her hips in a slow circle on his lap. She arched and bent, riding him through his jeans.

Logan nearly came undone as he caught the heat from her crotch and the unmistakable smell of arousal coming from her. “I don‘t like games,” he warned.

Ororo chuckled. “Oh, but I think you do.” She lifted herself so that their lips nearly touched. “I think you like to chase.”

Fuck. His hips bucked unconsciously, seeking her heat. Who the hell was this woman? This wasn’t the same Ororo he was familiar with.

She laughed again, a husky sound that enflamed him. She placed her hands on his chest, feeling his heart pound. The music shifted again, once more slow and sensual. “Looks like our dance is almost over,” she whispered.

“We’re just gettin’ started,” Logan growled. He couldn’t remember ever being so turned on in his life.

“Hm.” She rubbed herself against the hard ridge of his jeans. “Once upon a time, maybe,” she said with a playful roll of her hips. “But not anymore.” She swung her leg off of him.

Feeling unexpectedly bereft without her on him Logan reached out automatically, catching her upper arms. “Don’t.” He wasn’t sure what he meant by that.

The corner of her mouth lifted in a quirky smile. “This is probably going to hurt,” she murmured.

Suddenly the doors burst open and Vic and Bruce rushed forward. No questions, no hesitation, they didn’t bother with any of that. No touching meant no touching as far as they were concerned. Ororo was pulled back away from Logan by large hands and shuffled towards the door by a pissed off Bruce as Vic’s first punch connected with Logan's gut.

At the doorway Ororo turned and tilted the cowboy hat down; his cowboy hat. “Go easy on ‘em.” She mouthed to Logan.

Her sultry laughter echoed in Logan’s ears as the door closed behind her sashaying backside.

Two minutes later Logan strode aggrivatedly through the main lobby of the club, cricking his neck and cracking his healing knuckles.

“Well?” Scott demanded when he saw him.

“Move.” Logan snarled.

“Was it her?” Jean questioned as Logan ushered them out the front doors.

“Yes.”

“Well, where is she?”

“She left.”

Scott ran his hand through his hair in agitation. “What do we do now?”

“Now?” Logan opened the driver’s door to their SUV, his face a dark mask of ferocity. “Now I get my fuckin' hat back.”
Truth Behind the Absence by windrider1
Ororo shoved open her dressing room door, yanking off her wig as she did so and tossing it and the cowboy hat atop her vanity. She hurried to the back of the room and the hanger rack, grabbing a pair of tan leather pants and red tank. She hopped up and down, swiftly buckling the pants and sliding her flat sandals on. She grabbed her keys from the hook beside her station and opened her locker, removing a small backpack and duffle. She did a quick survey of the backpack’s contents before slinging it over her shoulder.

“What the hell is going on?”

Ororo lifted startled eyes towards the towering man in her doorway. “Hey, Vic.” She gave him a fleeting smile. She winced slightly at the small graze on his cheek and split lip.

“What’s going on, Cleo?” He repeated. He shot the discarded wig a look and then took in her silvery white hair. “You on the run?”

She laughed, walking towards him. “I wasn’t before.”

“But you are now?”

She thought of Wolverine’s fierce expression as she had left the private room. It was a look that promised dark retribution. “Yeah. One could say that.”

Immediately Vic’s expression became severe and calculating. “Any problem you’ve got, you just let me handle.”

Ororo smiled, touching the taller man’s cheek. “You’re so sweet.” She carefully prodded the cut under his eye, a wound most probably inflicted by Logan’s knuckles. “Sorry about your face.”

He shrugged. “Y’know, my mom used to say the same thing.”

“Funny.” She rolled her eyes. Truth of the matter Vic was indeed a bit rough looking, but he was far from an unappealing man. With carved from stone features and intense eyes, he exuded authority and danger. He reminded her of Logan in that way. She took a step back and turned to grab her duffle. “This is for you and Gretchen.” She handed him the bag.

He cocked a questioning brow.

“Don’t open it until after the baby is born.” She said sternly.

“You leaving for good?”

“Yeah, I’m afraid so.” She had planned on staying on at Blazing Saddles for a few more months, and this little development sent her plans skittering. Nothing she couldn’t handle, she told herself. However, for the first time since she’d left the X-Men, Ororo felt a twinge of longing and regret. She really liked the people she’d met here and she was going to miss them.

She hefted her bag higher on her back and picked the Stetson up from the vanity and placed it back on her head. “Looks like this is goodbye, big guy.”

“I hate to see that little runt run you off,” Vic stated, his deep voice tinged with sadness.

She smirked up at him. “Vic, you’re damn near seven feet tall. Everyone’s a runt to you.”

He pulled her in for an impromptu hug. “Naw. Some people I know are larger than life.”

Ororo cleared her throat, feeling tears prick her eyes. “I’ll be in touch. I promise.” She stepped away and wiped her eyes. “Ok, then.” She started for the door.

“Wait.” Vic dug around in the front pocket of his jeans. He tossed her a silver key on a skull key-ring.

Ororo caught the key and turned it over in the palm of her hand, her look incredulous. “Your bike?”

He chuckled. “Well, your bike now.”

“I can’t--”

“Take it,” he insisted. “Grettie hates the fact that I drive it as is, and besides,” he lifted the unopened duffle. “With all the cash you have shoved in here I can buy a real family car.”

Ororo blinked in surprise. “How did you…?” She paused, studying his face. His healed face. “You’re a mutant.”

“So are you, Cleo,” he countered.

She grinned. “It’s Ororo.”

He grinned back. “Still Vic.”

“It suits you,” she said. “Take care of yourself.”

“You too, gorgeous. Watch your back, and if you ever need anything--”

“I’ll know who to call.” She blew him a kiss as she opened the door. “Thanks for everything.”

Vic watched her go, shaking his head, a rueful smile on his face. That woman was a force to be reckoned with. He sighed. He sure was going to miss her.




Ororo stood on tip toes to peer through the spy hole of the rear exit that led out into the employee parking lot. Seeing nothing other than a stray dog sniffing the garbage dumpster she opened the door.

And was immediately yanked from the archway and shoved back against the damp brick wall with a bulky frame blocking her escape.

“Howdy, darlin’.” Wolverine’s teeth gleamed in the darkness.

Reacting instinctively Ororo raised her knee catching him directly in the groin.

“Oomph.” His grip lessened and Ororo managed to jerk free, running for all she was worth towards Vic’s parking space. Headlights flared to life and Ororo lifted her hand, shielding her eyes as a recognizable SUV started towards her, but she didn‘t break stride.

With a wave of her hand she quickly blanketed the parking lot with dense fog, making visibility impossible. She heard Scott’s voice shout, “We just want to talk!”

“I don’t!” she hollered back.

“Jean?” Scott turned towards her, his hands tight on the steering wheel.

“She’s over there.” Jean pointed. “In that general direction.”

Ororo swung her leg over the Harley and pressed the ignition. The bike roared to life, vibrating with force. “Oh, Vic, you wonderful devil,” she laughed giddily. The machine was as much a beast as it’s former owner.

A sharp rotation from her right hand and she was gone, shooting out into the street and rumbling into the night.

Scott leaned out of his window. “Wolverine! What happened? You had her.”

Logan glowered. Getting slammed in the nuts was bad enough; getting slammed in the nuts with an erection was an entirely different level of suckage.

He frowned deeply. Just that brief moment of contact and the sight of her with her mouth parted as her back hit the wall and her eyes flashing had been enough to bring forth the savage desire she had awakened with her dance. “Shut the fuck up, Scooter.”

“Uh, guys…” Jean interrupted. She was staring out the windshield.

“What?” they demanded in unison.

“We’ve got company.”

Lining up in front of and behind the SUV were several employees and patrons of the club. Dead center of the headlights stood one of the two men that Logan had subdued in the private room. The man was cracking his knuckles, wearing a sadistic grin on his face.

Logan growled in anticipation.

Scott held up one hand, slowly opening the driver side door. “We don’t want any trouble, folks,” he said in his best placating voice.

The muscle bound behemoth of a man spoke. “Well, you’ve got some.”




Half a mile away from the club Ororo pulled the bike over onto the side of the road. She sat for a minute, shaking her head and cursing. “Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Just go, Ororo. Just go.” She glanced back over her shoulder. “Damn it.” She gunned the engine, kicking up gravel as she swung the bike onto the road and headed back the way she’d come.

The sight that greeted her as she approached the back parking lot reminded her of a scene straight out of the movies, like The Outsiders where there was one of those old fashioned free-for-alls. In the center of a circle of shouting people Logan and Vic were circling one another aggressively. Vic’s shirt was torn open from collar to hem and Logan looked like he’s taken a few hits as well if the blood staining his chin and cheek were anything to go by.

Determinedly Ororo revved the engine of her bike, only to have the sound drowned out by cheers and screams. She tried again and when that did nothing to get the attention of the slugging combatants she decided on something a bit bigger.

Lightning seared the ground directly between the two men and thunder shook the heavens.

Logan’s head shot up, his attention diverted, something he regretted half a second later as a jumbo fist smashed into his nose. Blood spurted like a geyser, washing over the front of him and across the pavement.

Vic drew back, ready to strike again when Ororo’s voice cut through the night. “Stop.” She elbowed her way through the crowd and caught his massive forearm between her hands. His eyes glinted with a feral sheen. “Stop,” she said again, softer than before, stroking his arm. She knew how hard it was for a feral to rein the beast in once it had been unleashed.

Vic gave her a worried look. “What are you doing?” he whispered harshly. “We’ve got this.” He gestured to the crowd that held Jean and Scott and to the staggered Logan.

She smiled, giving him a small nod of appreciation. These poor folks didn’t have a clue what they were up against. For her. “I appreciate that, more than I can ever say. But, some battles you have to face on your own. I’ll be fine.”

“You sure, gorgeous?” Vic asked. His gaze flickered over Wolverine with obvious disdain.

“She’s sure,” Logan snarled, wiping the back of his hand across his nose. He’d been holding back in the fight, keeping himself on tight reign, not wanting to hurt people that seemed only interested in protecting Storm, but seeing Ororo’s tender concern for the bigger man and watching her hands stroke soothingly, he seriously contemplating unsheathing.

Ororo turned towards the small crowd of fellow employees and patrons. “Thank you all for what you did here tonight, but please, no more violence.” She squeezed Vic’s arm. “Please.”

He nodded curtly and gestured for Bruce to release Scott and Jean. “You heard the lady. Everyone back inside! Drinks on the house!” He gave her a lingering stare. “Remember what I said earlier. Anytime.”

She leaned up and brushed his chin with a kiss. “Same,” she said. “Give Gretchen my love. And the baby.” She felt a small sadness that she wouldn’t get to see their little bundle.

“Will do.” He walked back towards the building, intentionally shouldering Logan as he passed. “Asshole.”
Logan brushed his pants off, straightening and glaring at Ororo. “Your boyfriend’s a real fuckin’ charmer.”

Ororo waved once more at the people filing back into the club. “Isn’t he though,” she said absently. She turned and faced Scott. “You have two minutes to tell me what the hell is it you guys want.”

Scott gave Logan a look. “Wolverine didn’t tell you?”

Ororo‘s smile was impish. “We never really got to converse.”

Jean looked between the two. “But you were in there for twenty minutes,” she pointed out to Logan.

He shrugged, his dark gaze not leaving Ororo‘s.

Ororo crossed her arms. “So I am asking again, what is it exactly you want from me?”

“There is the little matter of the million dollars,” Jean stated.

Ororo cocked her head, but didn‘t look away from Logan. “A drop in the bucket for Xavier.”

“You stole a million dollars from Xavier?” Scott asked, clearly taken aback by that little tidbit.

“It’s gone.” Ororo answered unaffected.

“You spent a million dollars in six months?” Jean looked baffled.

“What of it?”

“It wasn’t your money!”

Ororo let out a short laugh. “It was as much mine as it was Xavier’s.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Scott wanted to know.

Jean closed her mouth abruptly.

Ororo turned on Jean, disbelieving. “You never told them?”

“Told us what?” Scott looked befuddled.

“Xavier was stealing funds from Sebastian Shaw.” Ororo illuminated.

“What?” Logan and Scott echoed one another.

Jean shuffled her feet. “It isn’t stealing.”

“Uh, yeah, it is. When the money you spend doesn’t belong to you, that’s stealing. Siphoning Shaw’s accounts is stealing.”

“Shaw’s money is dirty money,” Jean defended. “He’s crooked.”

“Exactly how does that make what Xavier’s doing less crooked?”

Logan crossed his arms over his broad chest. “That why you left?” he asked.

Ororo scowled. “I had to. I couldn’t stay knowing that. The man talks a big game about helping humanity and making a show of recruiting and helping fellow mutants but what he’s really doing is lining his pockets, for what I would guess, is some sort of political agenda.” She gave a bitter laugh. “Xavier’s just as crooked and power hungry as Magneto. The only difference is that Mags doesn’t hide behind some altruistic façade.”

“I don’t believe this. Jean?” Scott looked at his longtime girlfriend, hoping to have her deny everything that Ororo was claiming.

“Xavier is a brilliant man,” Jean defended. “He is only doing what he has to in order to achieve his goals.”

“I’m sure Hitler felt the same way about what he was doing,” Ororo shot back.

Jean gasped. “Not even close to being the same thing!”

Ororo shrugged. “Whatever. I’m not interested in debating the sanctity of Xavier. I don’t have the money any more, so this conversation is over.” She started to turn away.

“Not quite.” In one quick motion Logan crossed the distance between them and caught her arm. “There’s a more important matter at hand.”

Ororo raised a brow. “Oh?”

“Yeah.” Logan leaned closer, his breath fanning her lips. “Where‘s my hat?”

Ororo lifted her hand to her snowy white tresses, patting them. “Must have fallen off on the bike. Oops.”

Logan pressed a bit closer, inhaling. “I don’t think so.”

Ororo fought down the desire to close her eyes and sway towards him. “You calling me a liar?” she asked.

“Yes.” His fingers absently caressed the baby soft skin on the underside of her arm.

Ororo shivered.

“And a cock tease.” Logan murmured next to her ear.

She jolted him.

Lightning crackled from her fingertips sending Logan soaring across the parking lot with a vulgar curse.

“What the hell?” Scott’s hand shot to his visor.

Ororo brushed her hands together dismissively. “You’ve said what you’ve come to say. I’m out of here.”

“Not so fast.” Telekinetic flames flickered to life in Jean’s eyes. “We need you.”

“Ah. Here comes the real reason for your sudden interest in me,” Ororo said with a knowing glint in her eye and a tilt of her lips. “The what I can do for you portion of this little exchange.”

Jean sighed. “I know how it must look-”

“Not how it looks,” Ororo interrupted. “How it is.”

“Whatever. SHIELD has informed the professor of a category 5 hurricane headed up the Gulf of Mexico. If it reaches land it will make Katrina look like a light breeze. They’ve managed to keep it out of the news and from becoming public knowledge, because they’re hoping that you can stop it. Charles is willing to forget the million dollars you stole if you help.”

Ororo shook her head. “Sorry.”

“Wait a minute,” Scott cut in. “Weren’t you just saying that you were mad at Xavier for not doing anything to help humanity. This is your chance to help and you don’t care?”

“Don’t for one minute think I don’t care.” Ororo stated angrily. She cared. It killed her a little each time she read or heard about some weather catastrophe that took lives, lives she could have saved, but it didn’t work like that. Nature had a course, a timeless rhythm that should never be interfered with.

“Then why not help?” Scott asked. “I mean, I don’t get it.”

“Because it doesn’t work like that.”

“You make storms all the time,” Jean added.

“Yes, but creating a storm is easy and they dissipate quickly. A storm is like a snowball. Easy to make, but if I were to let it go it would be like rolling that snowball down a mountain. You see where I’m going with this? It grows and grows. Stopping an already formed, raging hurricane is like trying to stop an avalanche with your bare hands.”

“If ya can’t do it, just say so.” Logan’s voice, gruff with irritation, came from the shadows as he trekked back across the parking lot. He passed them all and headed towards their still running SUV. “Let’s go, Jeannie. We’re wasting our time. She ain’t up to it.” He cast Ororo a mocking glance. “I’m sure she has more important matters to attend to, like getting back inside and shaking her ass.”

“You weren’t complaining earlier.” Ororo scowled at him. “And I didn’t say I couldn’t do it.”

His teeth flashed. “Prove it.”

Forty minutes later, aboard the X-Men’s Blackbird Ororo cursed herself for her damnable pride and cursed Logan for knowing just what buttons to push to get her riled. She turned in her seat, pulling her backpack onto her lap. She peered over the top of her seat, noting that Logan was leaning back in his seat, eyes closed and Jean and Scott were speaking in hushed, agitated whispers. Probably about Xavier.

Ororo turned her attention back to her lap and satchel. She unzipped it and smiled. Nestled atop her clothes sat Logan’s well worn Stetson. It was a small victory on the whole, but she’d be damned if he got that hat back.
Shipmates by windrider1
Not much had changed, Ororo noted as she and her three escorts made their way quietly through the long halls of the Xavier Institute. It was a little after 4 am and the halls were eerily silent.

Ororo ran her hand along the carved banister that ran along the hall. The walls were still dressed with expensive “one of a kind” artworks and intricate woodworking, while the floor was polished to a mirror finish, reflecting the warm amber glow of the security lanterns. The entire place was designed to be warm and inviting yet give an air of exclusivity and importance. It did just that. She wrinkled her nose.

She turned towards in the direction leading to Xavier’s office only to be halted by a firm grip on her elbow. “This way,” Logan growled, tugging her.

“Where are we going?” She removed her arm from his hand, rubbing where his fingers had pressed. She didn‘t want to like the small flutter that brief contact gave her, but she did.

“War Room.” Cyclops said with a cursory glance over his shoulder.

“Ah.” Ororo felt a twinge of humor at that. “So no cozy greetings and warm welcome back then? Straight to cold, impersonal work.”

Logan snorted. “What’s the matter, darlin’? Missing the touchy feely of yer pole?”

Ororo cocked a brow. “One could surmise from your tone you don’t approve of my line of work? That’s a bit ridiculous considering exactly who you are,” She leaned towards him, fingering the dog tags around his neck, her breath teasing his ear as she whispered, “killer.

He snapped his teeth together with an audible click.

Jean sent Storm a look of silent approval. It wasn’t everyday someone made Logan shut up.

Logan inhaled sharply. His reaction wasn’t one of anger, as Jean speculated, but one of primal lust. Something about Ororo’s husky teasing tone and warm fingertips turned him on. Her close proximity stirred his blood, sending it thrumming through his system. He’d been aroused since seeing her dance and it didn’t appear that that state would be diminishing any time soon.

He had spent his entire time aboard the Blackbird visualizing ways to initiate the white haired minx into the mile high club. His teeth gleamed in the shadows as he recalled a particularly interesting idea involving her ability to float.

Ororo adjusted her bag over her shoulder, her gaze inquisitive as she noticed the glint that suddenly appeared in Wolverine’s eyes. The man was dangerous, she reminded herself. A fact that should make her cautious, but instead only seemed to draw her like a moth to the proverbial flame. What was it about him ? She wondered. He wasn’t overly attractive, she mused. She began to mentally catalogue all the things about him that were unappealing.

His dark hair was always wild and in disarray…although it did give him a dangerous, sexy disheveled appearance. Okay, moving on. He was barrel-chested. Stocky. He was twice as wide as she was. Far too wide for her liking…one of his arms was the size of her thigh, heck, they’d probably crush her if he wrapped them around her…which didn’t sound like a bad of a way to go out. Drat. Okay, then. His nose was a bit flat. His sideburns were too thick. And his mouth…his mouth was…sinful. Constantly curved slightly in a wry smirk, as though he knew far more than he’d ever let on. His walk was confident. Hell, it was downright cocky, may as well call it a swagger. His eyes glittered with an animal sheen that was both mysterious and compelling. Logan was gruff. Wild. Untamed.

She shook her head wryly, mocking her own futile effort. So much for all the things she didn’t like. Well, physically anyway. Truth be told, as far as physical characteristics went Logan’s undomesticated appearance struck an inner cord with her. He was immensely attractive in that right.

“Hey, Striperella, quit daydreamin’.”

Too bad he had to talk.

“You know, you should probably grab a uniform from the closet in the war room,” Jean mentioned, taking in Ororo’s tight tan leather pants and skimpy red top. “It’ll be more comfortable.”

“For who?” Ororo asked nonchalantly. “Me? Or you?”

“Me.” Scott said, clearing his throat and opening the war room door with his code.

They both turned, surprised.

Scott shrugged. “I’m a guy.”

Ororo laughed softly as she passed him to enter the war room. “So I’ve noticed.”

Logan growled in his throat.

Seated at the head of the long black marble topped table was Charles Xavier himself. Dressed in a dark gray sweater with a burgundy blanket covering the top half of his khakis, Xavier appeared calm and relaxed. Completely confident and unflappable. That made Ororo uneasy.

“Welcome back, Ororo.” he said quietly. “You were missed.”

Ororo crossed her arms over her chest, hoping to appear as composed as Xavier did.. “I can just imagine.”

“Please, have a seat.” He inclined his head towards the cushioned chairs surrounding the table.

“Thanks, but I’ll stand.”

“If you insist.” Xavier nodded, and Ororo thought she caught a small smile on his face. “How much have you been told about the situation?”

“Big hurricane. Potential disaster. And the usual runabout involving politics and money.”

“Ah.” This time there was a definite smile. “Well, then, it appears all you need are the specifics.”

“Those would help.” she muttered.

The tabletop flickered and a three dimensional iridescent blue hologram shimmered to life. “Two hundred and sixteen miles off the coast of Puerto Rico a SHIELD storm class aircraft carrier is awaiting your arrival.” An image of the large carrier spun over the table top. “It is manned by only the essential staff.”

“Skeleton crew,” Logan interjected, the blue light casting shadows over his rugged features.

“So to speak,” Xavier commented. “When we are finished here you will immediately be sent to rendezvous with General Fury in Florida and from there you will be taken to the ship. Once the hurricane is dispersed, you will of course be returned here.”

Ororo’s brows rose. “Returned here?” Like a piece of borrowed property, she thought angrily.

“Yes. I have made assurances where you are concerned, Ororo. Any other questions?”

She was about to shake her head when Logan’s sharp growl cut her off. “She ain’t goin’ alone.”

Ororo turned towards Logan, feeling oddly touched.

From the expression on Xavier’s face he hadn’t seen that coming either.

Logan looked up from the hologram, his jaw set. “She’s betrayed us once. What’s stopping her from doin’ it again?”

“Of all the--” Ororo glared, all good feeling erased. “You hypocrite! You are the last person that should be allowed to talk about betrayal. You were sent here to kill Xavier, in case you‘ve forgotten.”

He shrugged. “Doesn’t make me any less right.”

“Indeed not,” Charles murmured thoughtfully.

Ororo threw up her hands. “What? I’m going to hi-jack an aircraft carrier?”

“Wouldn’t put it past ya,” Logan returned.

Ororo‘s eyes snapped. He smirked.

“Professor, I also don’t think Storm should have to go alone.” Jean said quietly. “What we’re asking her to do…” she trailed off. “She shouldn’t be alone.”

Logan perked up a bit at Jean’s tone. There was a sadness underneath and a subtle tension. He glanced at Ororo to see if she noticed, but she was purposefully ignoring him.

“Very well,” Xavier said diplomatically. “I will not order any of you to accompany Storm, however, I will not stop you either.”

“I’ll be just fine on my own,” Ororo stated, her tone defensive.

Scott stepped beside her and placed a hand on her shoulder. “We all know you can take care of yourself, Storm. But you’re an X-Man and we take care of our own.”

Ororo turned her face away. She hadn’t felt like an X-Man in a long, long time.

Sensing a losing battle on that front, Scott switched tactics. “Could you just humor me? I’d like to think my inspirational speeches do wonders.”

“Who am I to let you believe otherwise,” she returned. “You want to come get drenched, be my guest.” She opened the closet behind her and pulled out a white tee-shirt and gray sweatpants. “Let’s go.”

Xavier nodded. “And Ororo…”

She paused.

“Good luck.”

She walked out the door without looking back.



Aboard SHIELD Vessel : “The Unforgiven”

Logan cricked his neck, watching with definitive male interest as Ororo laced her sneakers. She bent forward, her long hair slipping over her shoulders in a silken fall, her rounded backside lifting from the metal bench ever so slightly…

“Enjoying the view?”

Not bothering to turn, Logan grunted, “Fury.”

“Wolverine.” Nick leaned against the wall opposite of Logan. He followed the other man’s gaze. “She’s an interesting little weather witch.”

This time Logan did look at the taller man. “Care to repeat that, bub?”

Fury lifted one shoulder. “Meant no disrespect towards the lady.”

Logan still looked less than impressed. “What’s on yer mind, Fury?”

“You know she’s the only one of your kind, right? No other known mutant can manipulate the weather.”

Actually no, Logan hadn’t known that. He glanced back towards the benches that Ororo occupied with Jean. The two women were chatting quietly, so quietly he couldn‘t make out what they were saying. He returned his attention to the General. “So, Fury, what kind of accommodation are ya gonna get for this little outing, huh? Medal? Promotion? More tether on your leash?”

Fury pulled a cigar from his front pocket, holding it out towards Logan. “What makes you think I get anything for this?” he asked after Logan had taken the offered cigar.

“I know you, Nicky.” Logan’s teeth shone in a feral smile. “You ain’t all that altruistic.”

Nick chuckled. “Fair enough.” He removed a cigar for himself. “Let’s just say if your girl pulls this off, mutant affairs takes a giant leap forward in some important circles.”

Hearing Ororo referred to as ‘his girl’ made Logan’s gut tense. He ignored it. “And those important circles are the ones you wanna run in?”

“Something like that,” Fury acknowledged.

“Hnh. And Storm, what’s she get outta this?”

Fury exhaled a plume of smoke. “It’s not like you to care.”

Logan chuffed. “Who says I do? Maybe I just want in on any benefits.”

“Right.” Fury turned his attention towards the woman of discussion. “It’s all about what you can get, eh, Wolverine? She means absolutely nothing to you.”

Logan was unresponsive, his own eyes resting on Ororo.



“But stripping?” Jean shook her head back and forth. “I mean, wow. I never would have thought you would…y’know…”

“Take my clothes off for money?” Ororo questioned with a teasing tilt to her lips.

“Yeah.” Jean agreed. “Why would you?”

“The money was good.”

“You had a million dollars. You didn’t need money.”

Ororo stretched her arms over her head. “Most of the money was gone by the time I started work at Blazing Saddles.”

Jean shook her head again in disbelief. “I can’t get over that you spent a million dollars.”

“Easy enough to do,” Ororo said dismissively.

Curiosity getting the better of her, Jean asked, “What did you buy?”

“Hm?”

“What did you buy? Purchase? You know.”

“Nothing.”

“Excuse me.”

“I didn’t buy anything.”

“But you just said the money was gone.”

“And so it was.”

“I’m confused. What’d you do? Give it all to charity?” Jean laughed. When Ororo simply looked at her, Jean’s jaw dropped. “You gave a million dollars to charity?”

“Several charities and two orphanages.” Ororo said with a blasé wave of her hand. “Why is that so hard to imagine?”

“Well…I mean…”

“What?” Ororo asked, getting a kick out of watching Jean squirm a bit. “Once a thief always a thief? You just assumed I took the money and spent it all on myself? Hmm?”

“No. It’s just…Well, I…”

“I’m listening.” She crossed her legs and leaned against the wall.

Jean spluttered for a moment, then realized Ororo was on the verge of laughter. “You jerk!” She playfully shoved her shoulder.

Ororo snickered lightly. “I’ve been called worse.”

Jean sighed with a gentle smile. “I’ve missed this.”

Ororo’s own smile dimmed.

Jean tilted her head, her red waves veiling her face. “How much do you hate me for not telling you what Xavier was doing?”

It took a moment for Ororo to answer. “I don’t hate you, Jean.” She ran her fingers through her hair and let out a slow breath. “I even understand why you didn’t say anything. The Professor is your idol and mentor. I get that.”

“So, we’re cool?” Jean asked hopefully.

“If I live through this, then yeah, we’re cool,” Ororo replied dryly.

Jean bit her lower lip and whispered, “You will, right?”

“Huh?” Ororo cast a glance over her shoulder. She kept feeling like she was being watched.

“Live through this.”

Ororo smiled but it was forced. “I plan to.”

“I want you to know if there was any other way,” Jean began.

“I know.” Ororo patted her knee. “If you don’t mind, Jean, I’d like to be alone. To clear my head.”

“Sure.” Jean squeezed her hand. “I should find Scott anyway.”

Ororo closed her eyes and sighed. Focus, she told herself. It was so hard to do. They were closing in on the hurricane, she knew. She could feel the storm in her blood. It was singing to her. A siren’s call, beckoning her to unleash and taste freedom. Her entire body shook with feelings never before experienced.

She inhaled and exhaled in slow rhythm. Focus, focus, focus. Lives were at stake. Including her own. She had no idea if she could stop a full fledged raging hurricane. She’d never tried.

Her entire being centered around the planet’s inner rhythm, a small fact that she had grown accustomed to at a very young age. She could remember being nine years old and being upset and crying and then suddenly the sky cried too. She could feel it. They shared a sadness. It was such a great comfort to feel that connection, since she’d been so alone. Ever since then she had shared the Earth’s pains and tides, rages and joys. It was as though she shared a soul with the planet and now-- now she was about to go against the natural order and rend that bond apart. That terrified her.

“You look a little seasick, darlin’.”

She didn’t open her eyes. “I’m not.”

“Hnh.” Logan lowered himself onto the bench so that he straddled it, facing her. “Then it must just be fear.”

One cerulean eye opened. “I am certain there are other things you’d rather be doing than speaking with a lowly stripper like myself. Jean went that-a-way, big boy. Shouldn’t you be sniffing in that direction.” She jerked her thumb towards the door.

“Jealous?”

Ororo snorted. “Hardly.”

Logan placed his palms against the bench and slid himself closer. “Really?”

“Really.” Damn, her voice cracked. She cleared her throat. “Yes, really,” she tried again, satisfied that she sounded indifferent.

“I seem ta remember that ya had a thing fer me,” he smirked.

Ororo flushed a bit, hating that she did. For months and months after Wolverine had first joined the X-Men, Ororo had secretly wanted him, but had known that he was hung up on Jean and Jean on him, so she’d avoided it. She’d stayed aloof and tried really hard to blend into the paper while he was around. A trick that she had thought had worked--until now. “I out grew it.”

Logan leaned forward and sniffed. “The nose says otherwise.” There was a definite rumble to his words and a darkening of his eyes.

Deciding she didn’t like playing cornered doe to his wolf Ororo straightened away from the wall and shifted position so that she too was straddling the bench. “As much as you’re hovering around me, Wolverine, I’m thinking maybe it’s you that has a thing for me.”

Logan cocked his head, his nostrils flaring. “I ain’t hovering.”

“Oh?” She edged closer. “Then by all means, leave.” Their mouths were scant inches apart, her blue eyes sparkling with unsaid challenge.

Logan’s hand moved of it’s own accord, reaching up to cup the side of her face. His thumb stroked her bottom lip and his eyes followed the motion as though entranced by it. “You really want me to go?”

Ororo’s breath left her lungs in a shaky rattle. “Yes,” she whispered.

“Yes?” His mouth curved knowingly. “Ok then.” He stood, releasing her.

Ororo jerked back, feeling oddly out of sorts and terribly lost without his frame taking up her vision. She ran her hands over her hair, smoothing it in an effort to calm her nerves. When she realized he hadn’t stepped away from the bench she glanced up. “Why are you still here?”

“Fuck if I know,” Logan growled, hauling her to her feet and slamming his mouth against hers in a kiss meant to punish but instead ignited.

Ororo’s eyes widened in surprise and logically she knew she should break away or knee him in the nuts again, but instead she wrapped her arms around his thick neck and kissed him back fiercely. Hell, she could be dead in an hour. He nipped her lip, making her moan. Or, she could die right this second, she thought as her heart tried to slam itself from her ribcage.

“Jesus,” Logan rasped, kissing his way along her jaw and chin. “You smell so fuckin’ good.” He licked her pulse.
Ororo’s fingers clenched in the short hairs at the nape of his neck. She jerked his head back and smiled wickedly before she plundered his mouth.

Logan growled, his eyes going black. She was challenging his dominance. He couldn’t remember a woman ever doing that. He lifted her and slammed her against the wall roughly, growling in approval as her long legs swept around his waist. He palmed one generous breast through the cotton of her tee shirt, snarling at the lace bra barrier.

Ororo gasped as sharp canines snipped at her nipple through cotton and lace. She arched her back to allow better access when she felt his warm hands scrambling for the hem of her shirt. This was madness…

Logan rotated his hips, grinding into her center, leaving no doubt as to what he wanted to do with her.

~Two minutes to intercept!~

Had a bucket of ice water been dumped on her it would have been less effective than the voice over the intercom, reminding Ororo of exactly why she was aboard this vessel, and the circumstances surrounding it.

“Put me down,” she hissed.

“Yer legs are locked around me, darlin’,” Logan grinned, panting. “I ain’t holdin’ ya.”

Ororo quickly detangled herself. She adjusted her shirt and pants.

Logan rocked back on his heels cockily.

Without a word Ororo moved past him and out the hatch, wiping her hand across her mouth as she did.

“Well, now.” Logan murmured to himself. “That was interesting.” He licked a drop of blood from his healing lip. The minx had bit him.
Rock me like a Hurricane by windrider1
The room designated as the “command center” for this particular mission was a beehive of activity when Ororo strode through the thick steel door. People of varying importance were bustling between monitors and computer screens, writing notes and scribbling on a clear partition that appeared to map the ship‘s coordinates. Blinking lights of all colors flashed and blipped on screens, their meaning completely irrelevant to her.

Donned in jumpsuits and headsets several people sat around a glowing holographic earth completely with spiraling weather patterns animated over the surface. They punched numbers into oversized calculators, their fingers working frantically over keyboards as they ran scenario after scenario trying to plot the course of the hurricane. She shook her head. A more futile task than that, she couldn’t think of.

Ororo shouldered her way inside and began making her way towards Nick Fury, who stood on the opposite side of the room staring out the double panned, insulated windows with expensive looking binoculars.

“Let’s hope you’re everything that Xavier claims you are.” He didn’t bother to turn or lower the binoculars, but addressed her before she had completely reached him.

“And if I’m not?” Ororo asked, watching the waves crest and fall against the ship, the white spray coming over the sides and washing over the deck in a frothy display of raw power.

“Then mother nature claims a few thousand more victims.” He lowered the binoculars, turning his solitary eye on her. “Mutant and human alike.”

Ororo didn’t so much as blink. “We’re all human.” She turned her attention back towards the growing waves.

“Hey there.” Jean appeared alongside of them, carrying a silver and black thermos. “Here.”

“What’s this?” Ororo twisted the cap, inhaling a familiar and welcome aroma.

“Chamomile tea.” Jean replied with a gentle smile.

Ororo nodded her thanks. It was just small gesture of comfort but she was suddenly very grateful for Jean’s presence on the ship. She took a slow sip. “It’s good,” she commented. She twisted the cap back on quickly.

Abruptly the ship pitched and rolled beneath their feet, knocking several veteran sailors about the room and some onto the ground. Ororo reached out, anchoring Jean. Her ability to manipulate the weather stemmed directly from the fact that she saw all the patterns of nature and energy around her. She had long ago learned to read them so quickly and efficiently that they were second nature.

“Fifty foot swells and growing!” A voice called out over the room from one of the monitoring stations. Another wave slammed the carrier as if to punctuate that statement.

“You all right?” Ororo asked the startled red head.

“Yeah, fine.” Jean said. A quick psi-scan confirmed that everyone else was fine as well. A bit shaken by the slap of the waves, but otherwise okay. She crooked her head back, a faint smile curving her lips as she caught sight of Logan righting himself in the doorway, looking rather green.

“And I thought Scooter’s flyin’ was bad,” he muttered. He retracted his claws, which had been embedded in the metal doorframe.

Several of the SHIELD sailors gaped in a mixture of annoyance and fear.

“Someone’s gonna need to fix that,” Logan stated with a jerk of his thumb. He strolled, his cocky swagger as arrogant as ever despite the rolling ship, to where Ororo and Jean stood by the windows.

“Wolverine.” Fury gave his usual one word greeting.

“Nicky.” Logan returned in his gruff grunt-like way.

“I expected you up here sooner.” Nick commented dryly.

Logan shrugged. He glanced at Ororo who flushed faintly. Nearly undetectable, but he saw it and it made him want to smile. “Had other matters ta deal with.”

“Sir,” A thin, balding man approached Fury, interrupting. “Sir, it is my recommendation that we do not take the ship any further into this storm.” He held up a small handheld device. “The readings are off the chart.”

Fury cocked a brow. “You think I can read that gibberish?”

The man sighed. “I’m telling you we should not go any further in.”

The General looked at Ororo. “Well?”

“Well what?”

“Are we close enough for you to do your thing?”

She closed her eyes, inhaling a slow, deep breath and focusing, allowing herself to feel everything around her. Her hair crackled, and she felt the zing of the elements travel her body. Calling to her. “Yes,” she answered breathlessly after a moment.

“Fine. Drop anchor!” Fury commanded. “Ready?” He turned to Ororo once again, his face for the first time showing a hint of compassion.

She nodded, her gaze somber. “I have to be.”

Fury lifted his hand and immediately several men came forward wheeling different monitors and carrying equipment. He gave Logan a curt nod before heading out of the room.

The technicians moved with practiced, methodical movements, unrolling wires, unwrapping equipment, snapping things into place. People, who she presumed to be doctors of some kind, began taking her pulse and blood pressure, temperature and oxygen levels. Ororo flinched when she felt the unexpected coolness of a sticky sensor placed on her arm at the wrist.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Logan cut in angrily. “What the hell is all of this?”

Jean frowned at him. “It’s so they can monitor her.” She moved behind Storm, pulling her friend’s long white hair back and securing it in a neat ponytail. A braid, as Storm had informed her, could get whipped around by the hurricane winds with enough force to do physical damage. “No way are we just tossing Storm out into a hurricane with no way to keep an eye on her.”

“Jean?” Scott leaned in from the doorway.

“Over here.“ Jean gently squeezed Ororo’s shoulder, leaving her side to go confer with Cyclops. *I’m nearby if you need me*

Logan watched with narrowed eyes as varying people moved around Ororo. Each move made was followed by predator eyes. Calculating and dangerous. It was a subconscious reaction, one he himself was completely unaware of, yet somehow it felt right. He felt protective.

Ororo tilted her head, allowing another small white patch to be attached directly behind her ear. She obligingly opened her mouth for yet another temperature reading, silently enjoying the technicians confusion over her 112 degree body temperature.

Logan frowned, wondering about Ororo’s easy acquiesce. It wasn’t like her to readily allow pokes and probes, yet she seemed very nonchalant about the entire ordeal.

It wasn’t until a portly man approached carrying a syringe filled with a faintly glowing liquid that Ororo outright refused. She shook her head decisively. “You are not injecting me with anything.”

“It’s just so we can monitor your blood flow.” The man explained. “It’s harmless.”

“I’ll pass,” Ororo’s voice held all the warmth of a glacier. Her gaze flicked over his name badge. “Gary.”

He seemed at a loss. He glanced up, trying to find someone to give him confirmation one way or another. “It won’t hurt you,” the man called Gary tried again.

“The lady said no.” Logan snarled, stepping forward. “You don’t hear so good, bub?”

Gary stepped back, self preservation warning bells dinging in his head. He set the syringe on the tray table beside her seat. “I’ll go, see if, uhm, what the General says.”

The few remaining technicians and officers moved away from Logan as well, all suddenly remembering something else they had to be doing.

Ororo tilted her head back, her blue eyes luminous against the gloom caused by the hurricane. “I think you frightened everyone away.”

Logan smirked. “Yer still here.”

She rose to her feet in one smooth motion, her balance not thrown at all by the swells rocking the Unforgiven. “That’s because you don’t scare me,” she stated matter-of-factly.

He gave a small huff of amused disbelief. “Oh, really?”

“Yeah, really.” She met his gaze dead on.

Logan liked her ability to meet his eyes. She never ducked her head or cowed in intimidation. It was an admirable quality. He stepped closer, so that they were nearly touching. Bending his head he asked, “If I don’t scare ya, what do I do to ya?”

Make it hard to breathe, was the first thought that went through Ororo’s whirring mind. She felt her pulse quicken and her palms became slightly damp. How was it that a man that infuriated her beyond logical reason had such a profound effect on her? Her fingers twitched as she resisted the urge to touch his mutton chops.

Never in her life had anyone effected her like Wolverine had. Since the very first day she had laid eyes on him that cold and snowy night in the middle of nowhere, a part of her had become unlocked and let free from it’s cage. It was that part of her that allowed her to steal a million dollars from Xavier, and that part of her that enjoyed the thrum of the music and the sensuality of dancing around a pole. It was that same part of her the responded to the exhilaration of a hurricane. It was primal, raw, fierce and so very natural.

As if reading her thoughts Logan’s lips curved into an arrogant grin. “Make ya speechless do I?” He turned his head so that his breath tickled her ear. “That’s ok. The things I wanna do to ya don’t require much talkin’.”

She stumbled back, for the first time caught completely off balance as another massive wave crashed into the ship, her mind on other things.

“Gotchya.” Logan caught her before she fell backwards over her abandoned chair. He tugged her upright, his hands lingering.

“Nice save.”

Both of them turned to see Cyclops and General Fury close by.

“These waves are getting too big for even this ship to handle,” Fury stated. “You good to go?”

Ororo reluctantly, far more reluctantly than she cared to admit, moved out of Logan’s grasp. “Yeah. Let’s do this.”



Observation Deck



Jean gave the rising sea swells sloshing over the front of the carrier a nervous look, her front teeth worrying her bottom lip. “This is insane,” she whispered.

Cyclops reached out, lacing his fingers through hers and gently squeezing. “If anyone can wrestle a hurricane and win, it’s Storm,” he told her.

Jean exhaled a tremulous breath. “I know.” Please. She winced as fat, heavy rain drops struck the windows with enough force to make loud slapping sounds. The water, at one time a deep royal blue, now appeared black and angry as it rose and fell, at times so high Jean though for certain they would be flipped over.

She turned her back against the view and instead focused on Storm, who was speaking to General Fury. Jean couldn’t quite suppress a small flash of jealousy when she noticed that Wolverine still quietly flanked her friend.



“They’ll be monitoring you from the command center below deck and relaying information up to us here.” Fury explained. “We’ll be on top of any complications.”

Ororo smirked. “Well, that’s comforting. Tell me, General, what will you do if a complication arises? Send someone outside to fetch me?”

Logan stiffened, for the first time fully appreciating the situation for what it was. A life threatening disaster. And with that one statement Ororo laid it out exactly how it was. Once she was outside, she was on her own. No one to help her. And no one to save her should she need it.

Acknowledging the futility of his own statement Fury nodded a bit ruefully. “Your rain slicker,” he offered Ororo.

She lifted a brow and directed his gaze towards the whipping rain and roaring waves. “I don’t think that will make a difference.”

“Protocol,” Fury said. “It’ll offer some protection to the sensors.”

“Ah, yes, of course. The sensors.” Ororo shook her head, feeling an unexpected twinge of sadness. Even more unexpected was the warm strength of Logan’s hand on her back. He said nothing, offered no words, but the slow clockwise circles he stroked eased her tension and offered her more comfort than he could know.

Once donned in the black and yellow slicker, Ororo gave herself a mental shake and headed for the door.


The four members of the observation cabin all moved towards the windows, watching silently as Ororo made her way along the landing strip below. She walked sure footed towards the raging storm, moving slowly towards the front of the massive ship, using her powers to keep from being wind and rain lashed.

Waves on both sides of the ship crested and crashed, sending plumes of white froth into the air. The ocean water churned madly, as if sensing Ororo’s approach. The air growled with endless thunder and the winds howled in rage. A wave, the largest of the set, rose up in front of the Unforgiven, towering the ship like a monster.

“Oh my God,” Jean gasped.

“Jesus,” Scott agreed.

Logan grit his teeth. Ororo, a woman whose presence was undeniably forceful and powerful suddenly seemed so very small, and fragile. He pressed his palm to the reinforced glass as the wave began its decent, heading straight for the front of the ship and Ororo. “’Ro!”

Water sloshed the deck, and the landing strip before it slammed into the observation windows with enough force to send the four onlookers staggering back. They rushed forward, peering frantically through the water still streaming from the window, looking for any sign of their former team mate.

“Do you see her?” Scott asked his ruby gaze scanning the side rails for a grappling form.

“No.” Fury clicked his comm. “Sensor readings on Munroe?”

There was a static response and then a clearly confused reply of, “We haven’t had any readings. The subject is engaged?”

“Yes, the goddamn subject is engaged,” Fury snapped. “Where are my readings?”

“Sorry, sir, we’re working on it.”

“Jeannie?” Logan’s fist clenched.

She shook her head, her eyes closed in concentration. “Nothing.” She paused, then, “Wait…OW!” Jean pressed the palm of her hand to her forehead, grimacing in pain. “She’s up there.” She pointed out the window towards the writhing mass of clouds overhead.

Logan leaned forward, his nose pressed to the cool pane. “I don’t see her.”

“Trust me.” Jean rubbed the bridge of her nose. Damn, Ororo packed a wallop. Jean knew the psychic backlash was unintentional, but it still hurt like a son of a bitch.

Leaning further in and turning his head Logan searched the black clouds for any sign of Ororo. He knew she was capable of short bursts of flight, and floating. He had seen her in the Danger Room and practicing on the back lawn of the institute enough times to know that she could sustain herself with wind currents. Not having the inclination nor desire to learn more, he knew nothing of a duration or limit she had to that skill. All he knew was it was a relatively new feat for Ororo. He wondered how long she could keep it up in the middle of a full scale hurricane.


High above the Unforgiven Ororo was wondering very much the same thing. The winds around her sounded like a freight train, screaming and roaring. It took a lot of her concentration to maintain the micro burst around her body that held her steady against the barrage of wind and rain assaulting her.

It was terrifying. It was thrilling.

“Okay, keep it together, Munroe.” She chided herself. She concentrated on piecing together the patterns of the storm so that she could counter them, and effectively tear the hurricane apart and send it on its merry way. Not quite as simple as it sounded. For every pattern she disrupted in one area, she affected the weather patterns in other areas. Many times this was localized and blessedly involved limited to little consequence, but this time was different. This time she was manipulating a category 5 hurricane and the domino effect of such an action had global implications and potential repercussions that were mind boggling.

She settled back into the cradle of wind surrounding her body, lifting her arms and smoothing the air, stroking the vivid energies she saw. The hurricane winds howled in retaliation. Ororo grit her teeth. Her muscles corded and strained. She had not been joking when she had compared what she was attempting to do with stopping an avalanche with bare hands.

“Urrrgh!” She forced another pattern into place, panting with exertion. Lightning snapped and sizzled alongside of her for a moment breaking her concentration and costing her. The winds buoying her ebbed and for a moment she was cast about by the swirling hurricane, her head snapping back like a rag doll. “Damn it!” Small pieces of hail gouged her cheek.

She felt cast adrift, lost in the blackness surrounding her. Rain and sleet soaked her as she was tossed carelessly about by the wind. She fought against it, but couldn’t help thinking of just how easy it would be to just let go and let the storm rage. To follow the currents away from the ship, and the X-Men. To escape.

To let thousands suffer because of her selfishness.

Ororo swore again more explicative than before, and she began spinning herself in a countermotion to the winds. She steadied herself, her anger mounting. Her fists clenched and her eyes snapped white fire. “Enough!”



Blinding white light filled the observation room as lightning torched the sky, snapping in repetitive series. Thunder sounded so loud that it hurt the ears of even the men and women below deck.

Outside the window the clouds rolled, shifting, thinning until peeks of baby blue sky became more and more dominant. Sunlight glinted off the water droplets, reflecting small rainbows across the instrument panel.

Logan stood transfixed, his eyes glued to the slender, solitary figure floating against the backdrop of departing clouds and blue, blue sky. Her black and yellow slicker was shredded, billowing behind her like a cape and her long white tresses whipped around her head like a banner of victory. With her arms spread wide and eyes glowing white she reminded him of the pagan goddesses of old. A figure worthy of worship and adoration. He shook his head, berating himself for such foolish sentiment.

He glanced back out the window and was prompted into action when abruptly Ororo’s arms went limp at her sides and instead of a slow graceful decent she began to tumble fro the sky. “Jeannie!” He bellowed, shoving past Fury and out the door with Jean hot on his heels.
Falling Fast by windrider1
The sound a body makes when striking water at nearly forty miles per hour is not ‘splash’ or even ‘whump’ but it is a deafening crack, the likes of which Ororo had never heard before and was certain she would never forget as long as she lived.

The forceful impact caused brilliant stars to dance behind her eyes, and her body to curl in on itself reflexively. Her startled, pained yell was muffled by the salty strangulation of the sea as water flooded her open throat causing her to splutter. She waved her arms blindly, finding no purchase on anything.

Bloody hell, Ororo thought irritably, coming out of her disoriented haze, of all the ridiculously random ways to die… She’d never made any real plans on how she wanted to die, but as of that minute she firmly decided that a watery grave was not going to be it.

~XXX~


Above the choppy sea that was sucking Ororo deeper into its depth, Jean Grey’s startled scream echoed across the tarmac of the Unforiven. Her cry was not for Ororo, however; but instead was emitted when she realized that Logan had no intention of stopping at the side rail of the ship, and was fully prepared to throw himself overboard after Ororo.

“Logan!” Jean reached out, catching him with a telekinetic, fiery claw mid-air as he leapt headfirst over the side.

“Goddammit!” Logan yelled, turning his head towards her. “Le’go!”

Jean shook her head adamantly. “You’re bones are layered with metal, Wolverine! You’ll sink like a stone.”

Despite the logic of her statement Logan struggled against her hold.

Cyclops came running up behind the arguing duo, asking the most relevant question of, “Any sign of her?”

Logan, still hovering within Jean’s grasp, turned his attention back towards the water. He searched the surface for a floating body, hoping against the odds that Storm hadn’t been killed by her fall. He hadn’t realized he was holding his breath until he spotted a spinning whirlpool forming not far from the ship.

“Something’s happening!” he called. “Jeannie, put me down, I ain’t jumpin’.”

Once firmly on his feet, Logan leaned over the rail, watching the roiling waters with calculating severity. If Ororo had survived her fall, which still seemed rather unlikely, it appeared that the ocean had plans of its own for the weather manipulator.

~XXX~


Ororo, deep beneath the surface, righted herself despite the excruciating ache of her bruised body, and her lungs aching from salt water and lack of oxygen. With more force of will than natural calm, she refused to panic. She took a precious moment to float back into the water, allowing her eyes to fade white as she watched the undercurrents around her. Their patterns were eerily similar to that of air currents. Stood to reason if she could control one…

Turning her hands palm side up and running on instinct Ororo smoothed the glowing currents beneath her finger, directing them to circle her, over and over, faster and faster, until she felt herself being lifted in the first ever underwater tornado.

Thirty long seconds later the faint flickering of sunlight glinting off the surface water came into view. Using a reserve of strength she wouldn’t have believed she possessed a day ago, Ororo motioned the water higher, calling it to her like she summoned the winds to hoist her in flight.

Thunder cracked across the sky, heralding her arrival moments before she erupted from the spinning surf in an impressive presentation of raw power, ocean and wind; towering over the ship’s deck in a display that Poseidon would have envied. Water droplets sprayed across the air, catching sunlight and glinting like diamonds.

“Ha ha! Beat this Namor!” Ororo triumphantly shouted to the winds.

The eyes of the SHIELD crew and the three other X-Men were riveted on her shimmering silhouette. A sea Goddess emerging is what many of those below would describe her as when they recounted the event to their friends and families. Logan himself was certain he had never seen anything quite so breathtaking as Ororo looked in that moment, but he kept that thought carefully guarded.

“Crap,” Storm muttered scant seconds after her grand entrance; the waters buoying her athletic frame in such splendor waned and she dropped rather unceremoniously to the deck with a wet flop and a grunt. She lay on her stomach, dazed and winded, coughing up what felt like ten gallons of ocean water.

“Storm!” Cyclops, who stood closest to where she landed, moved quickly. “Are you all right?” he asked, crouched beside her.

She waved an arm, spluttering. “Oh, yeah,” she hacked. “Just ducky.” She pressed her face against the tarmac, gasping air into her oxygen deprived lungs. “Just ducky.”

Long fingers brushed her wet, tangled mop of silver hair from her cheek. “You did good,” Scott said with appreciative warmth.

She opened one red-rimmed blue eye. “Do I get a cookie?”

He chuckled. “No. How about a bed and some dry clothes?” He reached down, assisting her to her wobbly feet.

Clutching his arm, feeling like her legs were limp noodles, Ororo said drolly, “I think I’d prefer a cookie.”

Cyclops smiled. “I’ll see what I can do.”

Ororo nodded, resting her weary head against his shoulder. “That bed sounds nice too.”

“On our way.”

Logan watched Cyclops help Ororo through the observation room doors with dark eyes. An unfamiliar, and unwelcome feeling stirred in his gut. He wanted to shove Cyclops aside and be the one to care for ‘Ro. He growled unconsciously under his breath. Fuck that. Nurture was not his nature. Let Scooter play nurse. He turned away, his ire pricked and found himself facing Jean, who was watching him with a slight frown on her pretty face.

“What the hell was that?” He demanded immediately.

Jean tilted her chin, but her green eyes didn‘t meet his. Not that they ever really had, he reviewed mentally. Jean was strong, and self assured with people and in situations that she could control, and given her talents and looks, was almost everyone and everything; except him. He was one person that she was hesitant and unsure around. It was one of her most attractive qualities. The submission was a turn on. Or at least it had been until a pair of glacier blue eyes had stared into his without reservation or fear, and in truth had held more than an inkling of challenge. Now that was a turn on.

“What was what?” Jean asked, breaking his train of thought.

“You know damn well what.” He motioned pointedly towards the rail. “Storm was down there.”

“Yeah, and?”

“She could have drowned.”

“And you diving over the side like a madcap Greg Louganis would have prevented that how?” Jean countered. “As it turns out, she didn’t need your help.” She regarded him with a shrewd eye. “Maybe that‘s what bugs you about her.”

“What the hell are you babbling about?”

“She doesn’t need your help, Wolverine. She never will. Storm isn’t some flaky waitress looking for a good time or some weak kneed superhero playmate that needs you to rescue her.”

Hearing the tinge in Jean’s voice Logan cocked a brow. “That only be you then, eh, Red?”

“Fuck you,” she snapped.

“Yes, you do.” He nodded, unperturbed. “And like it.”

“Shut up.” It wasn’t the most classy of comebacks, but it was the only retort she had to his blunt truth. She hated the fact that no matter how much she loved Scott there was this itch she had that only Logan seemed to scratch for her. Even more, she hated that he damn well knew it. Jean turned haughtily about on her heel and marched away from him, her back stiff with tension.

Logan shook his head, a scowl darkening his already carved features. “Flamin’ chicks.”

~XXX~


Downstairs, deep in the belly of the ship, Cyclops led Storm through a narrow corridor, giving her hand a gentle squeeze, knowing her immense discomfort in tight spaces.

She tilted her head to the side, regarding him through the thick veil of her lashes.

“What?” he asked after a moment.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” she wanted to know.

He shrugged. “You did an amazingly brave thing.”

“Ah, so, because I defied all the laws of nature to prevent a hurricane from reaching land, now you like me,” she smiled, shaking her head slowly. “Well, if that’s all it takes to get your respect, then why didn’t you say so before?”

It was his turn to shake his head. “Don’t get me wrong, what you just did was pretty damn impressive, but I was talking about walking out on the Professor. That took guts, Ororo. Serious guts.” They had reached her designated room. Scott released her arm and swiped the card General Fury had supplied him with. “I don’t know that I could have done that. I‘d like to think I have that type of integrity, but the truth is, even knowing what I know now, I don‘t know if I could have left,” he added.

Stepping into the room Ororo waved her right hand limply, her body already succumbing to exhaustion. “Flattery will get you everywhere,” she said around a yawn. “But as much as I adore the layers of praise, Cykey, I really would rather just sleep.”

He nodded in understanding. “Sure, there are fresh clothes in the--” His next words refused to form in his suddenly too dry mouth.

Ororo, seemingly oblivious to him and anything he was saying, peeled her soaked shirt over her head, her bare back flexing with the motion. She tossed the offending garment aside with a soggy slap, immediately moving onto her torn sweatpants.

Cyclops quickly cleared his throat, turning his red flushed face away as she slipped the waistband past her hips in a smooth shimmy. He heard rather than saw her flounce onto the bed.

“Uhm, so…” he took a deep breath. Awkwardly he maneuvered his way beside the bed, doing his level best not to peek as he draped a sheet over Ororo. “Get some rest.”

Ororo was already asleep.

Making his way back, Cyclops came across Wolverine in the corridor.

“How is she?” Logan asked without preamble. He had told himself he wasn’t going to check on her, but he had found himself asking Fury where Ororo would be resting, much to the General’s wry amusement.

Scott cast a glance back down the hall as though expecting to see someone in the empty corridor. “Storm’s resting.”

“How much damage?”

“What?”

Logan scowled. “Damage. How bad were her injuries?” At Scott’s blank look Wolverine cursed. “Christ, you don’t fall twenty stories and not have injuries. You did check her out, right?”

Oddly, Scott flushed, rubbing his hand along the short hairs at the back of his neck. “No, but I’ll get Jean to take a look at her.”

With another set of muttered curses Logan shouldered past Scott, moving towards Ororo’s room.

“She’d probably be more comfortable with Jean.” Cyclops insisted.

“Then go get Jean,” Logan snarled. He tried the long metal handle of Ororo’s door. It clicked, but didn’t open.

Cyclops held up a card key.

Logan held up a claw.

“Cute.” Scott stated with a twist of his lips.

“Ain’t I?” With a quick slice, Logan removed the card reader from the wall, leaving it’s wire innards to dangle uselessly.

“Wolverine-!”

“Shove it, One-Eye.” Logan stepped through the door. “Go fetch, Jeannie.” He heard Scott’s muted reply and threat of an optic blast upside his head if he disturbed Storm, but he paid him no mind. His gaze and attention were immediately drawn to the woman sprawled across the narrow bed.

Naked as the day she was born, Ororo lay curled on her side with a thin white sheet draped carelessly across her hip, covering her generously rounded backside. Well, most of it, Logan noticed, seeing the bottom curve of one cheek as she fidgeted in her sleep.

Slowly, so not to wake her, he crouched beside her, scanning her lithe form for any signs that would indicate broken bones or bruising from internal bleeding. From top to toe he let his eyes peruse her, telling himself it was only to ensure that she was unhurt. But the none too subtle throb in his groin called him out as the liar he was.

Wolverine let his eyes leisurely traverse the smooth contours of Ororo’s impossibly long legs, over the sloping curve of her hip and the gentle swell of her womb, across the dip of her flat abdomen, pausing as he scanned over her coffee tipped breasts before moving along to the swanlike bend of her neck, across the stubbornly determined line of her jaw, lingering over her obscenely full lips, up past her gently flared nostrils, to her wide open cerulean eyes.

She said nothing, but one trim brow was arched high in question.

His mouth curved. “Just checking on ya,” he told her.

A bit higher her brow lifted, silently proclaiming her disbelief at his altruistic motives for being in her room.

“You took quite the fall.”

“Yeah,” she whispered, her throat sore from the salt water. “I know. I was there.”

His reached out automatically, his knuckles grazing her cheek. “You hurt anywhere?”

Unconsciously she leaned into his touch. “A better question would be where don’t I hurt,” she replied.

There was something all too endearing about the rasp of her voice. He continued to stroke her cheek. “Cyclops went to get Jean. Maybe she’ll bring you something to help the pain.”

Ororo nodded, her eyes drifting shut. “Mmmm,” she mumbled.

Logan felt an unfamiliar ache in his chest. He swiftly rose to his feet.

Ororo’s eyes fluttered open again, and for the briefest moment were completely unguarded, leaving Wolverine wondering about the tenderness he saw there. Before he could delve too deeply into thought Jean knocked on the door.

She barely acknowledged Logan when she opened the door, moving straight to the opposite side of Ororo’s temporary bed. “Hey,” the redhead said with a gentle smile.

Ororo gave a small nod by way of greeting. Her eyes felt cloudy and heavy. She struggled to maintain focus. “Tired,” she said quietly.

“I imagine you are,” Jean responded with a small chuckle. “The amount of energy you spent out there, I’d say you could probably sleep for a week.” She lifted Ororo’s limp arm, taking her pulse. “Pulse is good,” she said, patting Ororo on the hand.

Giving Logan a meaningful look, but speaking to Ororo, Jean said, “I need to do a quick examination, okay, sweetie?”

Ororo grumbled a half hearted response that was mostly lost in her pillow.

“Just to make sure you’re not broken beyond repair,” Jean soothed. She turned once more to Logan, who hadn’t budged. “I’m sure Scott could use a hand getting the Blackbird up and running.”

“We’re taking off?”

“As soon as I give Storm the all clear, yes.” Once more she made it a pointed comment.

Without another word Logan left the room.

A few minutes later, in the process of rotating her right arm Storm said, “I see you two are still going at it.”

Jean was intent in her probing of Ororo’s ribs. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Ororo inhaled a sharp breath. “Ow.”

“Where? Here?” Jean’s fingertips were lighter, touching the spot that had made Storm jump a bit.

“Yeah.”

“Looks like you may have fractured a rib.”

“Splendid.”

“Hm.” Jean followed the line of Ororo’s rib to her back, but no other spot made her wince. She leaned back on the bed, her green eyes wary. “What did you mean by that?”

Storm sighed, rolling her eyes. “Oh, come on, Jean. I’m not an idiot. You’re still banging Wolverine.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. Logan and I ended months ago.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Stop it.”

Storm shrugged. “Hey, it’s none of my business if you want to screw up a good thing with Scott.”

Jean rose to her feet, her motions jerky. “You’re right, it’s really none of your business.”

Ororo also felt her ire rise. “Fine. You can go.” Her tone was blatantly dismissive.

Jean sighed, running her hands through her hair. “Look, I don’t want to fight over Logan--”

“We are arguing about Logan, Jean. I assure you, I have no desire to fight over him.” Ororo pulled herself upright, walking to the small built in dresser where she assumed dry clothes waited. Upon opening the top drawer she was proven correct

It was Jean who looked disbelieving now. “Oh, and I suppose you have no interest in Wolverine?”

Ororo pulled a white SHIELD tee over her head following it up with another pair of sweatpants. “No. I don’t.” Easy enough words to say, but even to her own ears they sounded hollow.

“I’ll let you know when I believe that,” Jean scoffed.

Ororo tensed. She turned slowly towards her friend. “All right, Jean, let’s hypothetically say you’re right, and I have a thing for Wolverine. So what? I’m not the one involved with someone else. I’m single, and unattached. If I want to fuck his brains out, that’s completely within my rights as a single woman. You, on the other hand are not only screwing Wolverine, but as you do it, you’re screwing over Scott.”

The two women stared at one another for a heartbeat. Jean was the first to break eye contact. “I’m going to go let General Fury know that you’re clear to go.”

Once the door closed behind Jean, Ororo sank back onto the bed, kicking herself for opening that particular can of worms. Then, recalling Scott’s gentle touch and concern for her well being, she kicked herself again for knowingly watching him get unwittingly walked on by Jean and Logan. Never had she and Scott been close friends, but maybe it was time that changed. She suddenly felt that maybe he needed someone in his corner.

With a small smile of satisfaction Ororo decided then and there that perhaps Logan and Jean deserved a bit of their own medicine.
Green Eyed Monster by windrider1
It was a beautiful day. Deep green leaves in the trees surrounding the Xavier Institute for the Gifted rustled quietly in a gentle breeze, and the air was filled with laughter and talking as the students took to the outdoors to enjoy the exceptionally lovely morning. A stunning blue cloudless sky full of bright sunshine and a moderate breeze, complete with the occasional chirp of happy birds beckoned them.

Knowing that no studying would be done on such a glorious morning, Charles had given them the day off. A rare event that was immediately and gratefully taken advantage of. Footballs and Frisbees were tossed back and forth across the front lawn. Bathing suits were donned and loungers such as Kitty and Rogue sunned by the pool, Colossus helped some of the younger students set up a volleyball net and a game of ’mutantball’ was being organized by Bobby and Warren. Xavier’s was thrumming with happy activity.

The hard slam of a beer bottle against wood cracked loudly across the front porch drawing Kurt’s glowing amber gaze away from the chess pieces he had been studying carefully and up towards the feral mutant in the doorway, a thunderous scowl on his already hard face.

“Guten morgen, Wolverine,” Kurt greeted, his accent turning the ‘w’ of Logan’s codename into a ‘v’.

Logan grunted absently in response, his dark eyes locked intently onto the occupants of the front driveway. He propped one booted foot against the table on which his nearly finished beer rested. He leaned forward, one elbow propped on a denim clad knee as he watched the activity in the front yard, his scowl deepening further still.

Ororo, dressed in a white bikini and bright orange sarong, looking as radiant as the sun, was listening to something One-Eye was saying as he hosed suds off of one of three large black Hummer SUVs the pair were washing.

In response to whatever comment Cyclops had made, she tossed her soaked sponge at their team leader, who ducked and shifted the hose so that he sprayed it full force in her direction.

A quick evasive sidestep and a blast of wind turned the spray back on the wielder, who gave a startled bark as his face was drenched, causing him to drop the hose.

Ororo quickly snatched up the watery weapon, and wielding it like a six-shooter she drawled out, “Do you yield?”

“Yes, yes,” Cyclops shook his wet hair, laughing. He pulled his soaked tank over his head revealing a rock hard abdomen and smooth chest. “I surrender.”

Ororo nodded, satisfied. “Good.” She moved around the Hummer, her hips an artlessly sensual sashay in her sarong. She lifted her hands near Scott’s tall frame and Logan scented the rising Ozone from where he stood as she turned the winds around her and Scott into a microburst of heated air, drying them almost instantly.

“Back to work,” Scott said nudging Ororo‘s shoulder with his own. He picked up the offending sponge that started the impromptu water fight from the pavement. “We make a pretty good team,” he commented, studying the gleaming vehicle.

Placing her hands on her hips Ororo studied their handiwork as well. “Yeah, not too shabby.”

Logan growled under his breath, hearing every word of the conversation as if the two were standing directly beside him instead of fifty feet away in the drive.

Kurt following Logan’s steady gaze murmured an impartial, “Ororo and Scott seem to be spending a lot of time together lately.”

Another noncommittal grunt. “Hadn’t noticed.”

In truth he had noticed and it irked the shit out of him. Ever since their return from sea two weeks ago Ororo and Scott had become rather chummy. It started with Scott helping her get settled into the mansion again by taking her shopping for clothing and furniture. Apparently some random amusing shit must have occurred on their little trip because when they got back they were both laughing about some man in a chicken suit outside of a video store. It made no sense to anyone who heard the story, inciting the old cliché line of ,“You had to be there” from both X-Men.

Then came the Danger Room workouts. Being team leader Cyclops was given the responsibility of working Storm through all of the DR modifications that had been made in her absence. Although Scott had been ordered by Xavier to run Ororo through her paces it did nothing to alleviate Logan’s irritation over it. He couldn’t explain exactly why it bugged the fuckin’ shit out of him, but it did.

What annoyed him the most, though he’d never admit it, was that Scott’s and Ororo’s building friendship hadn’t remained confined within the extra DR sessions, but had expanded beyond that.

He remembered waking two nights ago, hot and thirsty in his room, a disquieting dream about a past long forgotten disturbing his slumber. Pulling his red boxers on he had wandered downstairs for something cold to drink. Finding a beer in the back of the fridge he had downed it in the kitchen in hurried gulps, hoping the familiar tastes of the present would help keep the past at bay.

He had been on his way back upstairs to his room when he had heard the faint murmur of voices coming from the entertainment room.

Sliding open the dark oak doors had revealed Ororo seated comfortably on a fluffy recliner, looking impishly sexy in her X-tra large tee shirt and boy short underwear, munching popcorn while Scott lay on the couch, his head on the armrest, catching flung kernels in his open mouth.

“What’re you two still doing up?” He had asked, sounding much too much like an irate parent for his liking.

“Watching Mystery Science Theatre 3000,” Ororo had informed him without looking up from the flickering screen.

Logan had stood behind the couch for a full five minutes with his arms crossed over his bare chest, watching what appeared to be lame puppets and bad jokes absorb the attention of the room’s other two occupants. Both Ororo and Scott found it all intensely amusing, chuckling quietly and mimicking lines between each other. It was annoying as all hell to stand there while they bantered back and forth, for the most part ignoring him.

Twice, however, he had caught Ororo’s eyes stray towards him and that was what held him there.

After a time Scott had sat up, holding his temple, flashing an apologetic look at Ororo. “Jean’s awake.”

She had chuckled softly and mouthed “Go get her, tiger.”

Logan, never one to miss an opportunity had taken Scott’s vacated seat. He lounged lazily against the couch cushions, watching the television without interest, instead wondering if Ororo’s curled legs were as soft as they looked. His fingers had twitched in response to his thoughts.

Not long after Scott had left the room, Ororo had gotten to her feet and placed the green, ceramic popcorn bowl on the coffee table. She moved to walk past, muttering a soft goodnight, but Logan had snagged her wrist as she did. “What’s the rush, darlin’?”

Her blue eyes were almost amethyst in the dark. “I’m tired, so I’m going to bed.”

Logan brushed her pulse point, feeling it leap beneath the pad of his thumb. “You ain’t all that tired.” His voice was a sexy rumble of sound. With a quick jerk he had her toppled over him. Gripping the back of her head he began threading his fingers through her long, free flowing hair.

She made a small sound when his lips claimed hers, but he silenced any words she may have wanted to say with the slick invasion of his tongue into her popcorn flavored mouth.

He remembered all too well the way his gut had clenched the moment her posture had relaxed from stiff to pliant and the surge of heat through his body when he felt her hands clutch his shoulders. He had growled something unintelligible against her plump mouth, pulling her flush against him so that she could feel how hard she made him. He had trailed biting kisses along the sweet curve of her chin up to her ear where he had rasped, “Let’s take this ta my room.”

As if he’d flipped a switch her passion filled eyes snapped back to arctic blue and pushed back eyeing him warily. “Your bed is not that cold, Wolverine.”

Her cryptic words were nothing compared to the perplexity of her next actions.

Slowly Ororo had moved so that she straddled him, holding his attention with her icy gaze. She moved slowly across his lap, the thin barrier of their underwear doing little to hide the heat both were giving off. She undulated her hips in a slow circle, making him groan, long and low in his throat. His head dropped back against the cushions of the couch, his glittering eyes heavy lidded.

His fingertip bit into her thighs reflexively. She smiled a smile that had turned his insides; it was a smile that said she knew things that he never would. With another groan inducing roll of her hips Ororo had leaned into him so that their lips touched as she spoke, so much like that night at the Blazing Saddles that Logan almost smelled the musky aroma of sensual incense in the air.

“You couldn’t handle me,” she had whispered with a sultry flick of her tongue across his upper lip, abruptly dismounting, leaving the room and him. Logan had sat hard and aching on the couch for a good twenty minutes after she had left.

Now, watching her playfully elbow Cyclops as they moved onto the next vehicle to be washed, something twisted in his stomach. Something ugly and unfriendly…and dangerous. Like Scooter could fuckin’ handle her, he thought savagely.

As much as Logan had chased Jean, when she had decided to be with Scott it hadn’t bugged him this much. It had barely bothered him at all, to tell the truth, maybe because he still got in an occasional romp, but, even if that were to stop he didn’t think he’d care. At least not enough to feel like he wanted to gut someone, the way Ororo all buddy-buddy with Scooter set him on edge.

Logan crossed his other arm over his knee, thinking. It wasn’t like One-Eye had a thing for Storm, he mused, because all Jeannie had to do was enter the room and Cyclops, as always, was all about her.

Hell, Jeannie seemed completely unperturbed by the whole thing, taking advantage of the extra DR sessions Scott had to give Ororo to get in some extra little workouts of her own.

Logan felt his mouth twist sardonically at that. Here he was irritated with Scott for spending time with ‘Ro, a woman that he had no claim over, while he was fuckin’ his girl. It was ridiculously backwards logic, but it didn’t change what it was.

He had Jeannie. He wanted Ororo.


~XXX~


The hair on the back of Ororo’s neck stood on end as goose-bumps rode up her back and down her arms, making her shiver, a clear indication that Logan was nearby. She paused in her “wax-on” impersonation, her sunglass shielded eyes scanning the grounds for any sign of the man who had tormented her sleep for the past few nights.

“On the porch,” Scott said from his crouch beside the tires, where he was diligently working on the rims.

Ororo swung her head towards him. “Huh?”

“Wolverine. He’s on the porch.” He jutted his chin in the mansion’s general direction.

“Ah.” Ororo leaned across the hood, asking, “Jean’s telepathy rubbing off?”

“Nope.” Scott dropped his scrub brush back into the bucket, standing. “You just get this expression on your face when Wolverine’s around.”

“Really?” She scrunched her nose. “What kind of expression?”

Scott rubbed the back of his neck and the corner of his mouth twitched. He shook his head as though to say ‘never mind’.

“Come on, out with it,” Ororo demanded with mock sternness.

The ruby lenses of his wraparound glasses caught the sunlight, sparking fire. “Like a deer that knows it’s being hunted,” he replied finally.

Surprised by the accuracy of that statement and how closely it mirrored how she felt where Wolverine was concerned Ororo was quiet for a moment. “Well, then.”

“Look, Storm, I didn’t mean to overstep-”

She waved her hand. “You didn’t. Trust me.” Turning, so that the porch was within the scope of her view, she asked, “Does he make you feel like that?”

“No.” Scott replied easily. “But then again, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to get into my pants.”

Ororo smirked, lifting an eyebrow. “Just pretty sure?”

He tossed his towel at her. “Damn sure,” he corrected.

“Uh-huh.” A flash of burgundy caught the corner of her eye and Ororo turned so that she faced the front porch directly. Jean, dressed in an elegant green one piece, was strolling along the cobblestone walk, holding a towel and a folded lawn chair in her arms. She stopped below the railing, tilting her head to say something to Logan, who smiled his feral smile and leaned against the white banister, a mostly empty beer dangling from his fingers. His dark eyes raked over the redhead blatantly. Logan was many things, but shy and subtle were not among them.

Ororo directed her gaze back to Scott who stood very straight, and very still, watching. He made no sound or gesture that would indicate that Jean talking with Logan bothered him, but Ororo felt it. Like a cold draft, the hurt radiated from him.

Mentally shaking himself and looking away, Scott said flatly, “Let’s get back to work.”

That simple request revealed to Ororo a startling facet of Scott’s personality. Scott, overachiever, workaholic, stick in the mud, uptight dick head, used work as a diversion and a coping mechanism. His anal retentive attention to detail may very well be a characteristic he would always carry, but his seemingly cold indifference was nothing more than a front.

Determined to not let Jean and Logan ruin Scott’s morning, Ororo shook her head. “No, Scott.” She dropped her sponge to the pavement. “No more work today.”

He caught the hard tone in her voice. “You okay?”

“Fine.” She smiled reassuringly. “Better than okay. I feel like flying.”

“Sure. You go ahead. I’ll finish uuuuuu---whoa!” The rest of his words were lost as Ororo spread her arms, commanding the winds to obey and bow to her will as she lifted them both off the ground. “Storm!” Scott flailed for a moment.

Ororo moved in closer, wrapping her arms under his and linking her fingers behind his back. “Relax,” she encouraged, her blue eyes fading white behind polarized lenses. “Trust me.”

Scott nodded. “Alright.” Unsure of exactly where the appropriate place was to put his hands he settled for her shoulders.

She waited until his breathing slowed, and he was more comfortable being thirty feet in the air. “Ready?” she asked, her tone carrying a hint of amusement.

“Let’s go.”

“Hang on.” Tilting her head back, she lifted them higher into the sky until they hovered several hundred feet over the mansion.

Scott shouted excitedly as Ororo twirled them in a diagonal freefall. His happy, genuine laughter echoed across the courtyard, drawing several speculative gazes to the skyward pair.

“What the hell?” Logan swore, leaping the banister and stalking into the front lawn, watching with narrowed eyes as Ororo spun Scott away from her only to catch him with an upward gust and drop him again. Like a fuckin’ Scooter Yo-Yo, he thought with a snarl.

Jean followed Logan across the lawn, her own emerald eyes snapping with a mixture of amusement and concern. “If she kills my boyfriend, I swear I will mind wipe her and make her think she’s on a reality tv show for the rest of her natural life.”

“He ain’t complaining,” Logan pointed out.

“He wouldn’t,” Jean retorted. “Scott is too nice for his own good.”

Scott wrapped his arms around Ororo as they spun twister-fashion across the sky. “Yeah, Scotty boy is a real fuckin’ saint.” No way was that man not thinking about how good Ororo felt in his arms, Logan fumed. He knew from experience how fucking good she felt. His earlier assumption that Scott didn’t find Ororo attractive was quickly being eroded.

Jean tilted her head. “What the heck is your problem?”

“I ain’t the one with the problem, Red. It's your boyfriend up there.” With that Logan did an abrupt about-face, stalking back towards the mansion and his case of beer.

Jean watched him go, confused by his anger. Sometimes that man was impossible. She returned her attention to Scott and Ororo, but Logan popped into her mind intermittently. Was he jealous? She wondered. And if he was, should she be?

A quick surface psi-scan of Scott’s mind told her that he was simply enjoying the ride Ororo was providing for him. Nothing more. Satisfied, Jean turned away, intent on finding Logan and soothing away whatever was making him so grumpy, and perhaps being soothed herself. Whenever Logan was well and truly pissed, he was dynamite in the bedroom. It was a lure she couldn’t quite resist. Another quick glance towards the sky, caused a guilty wrench in her heart. She quickly looked away.

The entire walk through the mansion’s corridors she inwardly swore at herself, repeatedly; calling herself a whore and slut, but fifteen minutes later her inner berating did nothing to prevent her from tumbling into Logan’s bed and moaning his name in helpless wantonness.

She shouldn’t be doing this, she thought even as she encouraged Logan’s hungry kisses. She loved Scott, she truly did. A gasp and a moan. It was wrong. She spread her legs. So wrong. She clawed his back and died a little inside as he filled her in ways she believed Scott never could.

She hated herself some days. She really did.


~XXX~


Ororo sat at the kitchen table, quietly feasting on a stem of grapes, a fashion magazine laid out in front of her. She idly turned the pages, not really reading or even paying attention to the photo-shopped women pouting sexily for the Maytag man wearing Calvin Klein underwear with washboard stomachs. She chewed absentmindedly, swallowing reflexively, her mind a million miles away. Well, more like a staircase, a hallway, and two bedrooms away, but definitely not on the Elle spread.

After her impromptu flight, Scott had gone to talk with the Professor about adding some new Danger Room programs, incorporating teamwork while flying. She had teased him about never having his mind on anything but work, to which he had surprised her by teasing back, “If I didn’t think about work, I’d be thinking about how close I am to you, and that could get awkward.”

Surprise, surprise, Scott had a sense of humor and self mockery. It was good that he had fun, Ororo thought with a trace of sadness. He deserved it. She had never really paid Scott much mind when she had first joined the X-Men, and even less the more she was on the team. He was so wrapped up in Jean and she with Logan that it was a nauseating spectacle to watch, so she hadn’t. Instead she had spent her time with Kitty and Henry (whom she really should call and see how he was doing over at Emma Frost’s Academy) and fighting her own attraction to Wolverine. She snorted a bit at that. Nothing like fighting a losing battle, she thought, remembering the brief sting of hurt she had felt earlier, returning to the mansion after parking the washed cars in the garage.

On her way up to her room Ororo had caught sight of Jean leaving Logan’s room with her hair mussed and lips puffy. It didn’t take a genius to figure out what had transpired behind the closed door.

She sighed heavily before popping another grape into her mouth. If she was smart, she’d mind her own damn business and steer clear of the Scott/Jean/Logan train wreck, but, having seen new sides to Scott lately, she couldn’t. She couldn’t sit back and wait for him to realize that he was being screwed over by the woman he loved. It wouldn’t be fair to him if she did that. She was his friend, and that meant something to her.

“What’s got yer panties in a bunch?”

Ororo jumped, swinging her head around. Logan leaned casually against the doorframe, watching her. Her breath caught, as it had the tendency to do where Wolverine was concerned, in her throat. Dark, wet hair was slicked back from a clean shaven face and thick, roped arms were crossed across a white Xavier Tee, stretched to accommodate broad pectorals and wide shoulders. His eyebrow rose at her open mouthed perusal and she flushed.

“What?” she snapped, wincing at her own pitch. The urge to fan herself had to be forcefully quelled.

He smirked, his gaze flicking towards the window and the once blue sky beyond the glass, now darkening with angry clouds.

Cursing mentally, Ororo took a calming breath and searched for inner serenity. Within moments the clouds scattered and the sun once more flooded the kitchen. She gave him a, ‘There, happy now?’ look and returned to her grapes.

She nearly spit one across the table into his smug face when the chair across from her scraped the tile and he sat down, rocking the chair back on its hind legs and propping his feet up.

“What’re you reading?” He lifted the magazine by the corner, curling his lip in distaste when he saw the title.

She closed it abruptly. “It’s Kitty’s,” she replied automatically. “My Scientific America isn’t here yet.”

He shrugged. “Neither’s my Playboy. Think the mailman has some weird fetish?”

Try as she might, she couldn’t help the small laugh that escaped her. Their mailman was a thin, frail looking man who was surely decades past retirement. “Doubtful.”

After a short silence and uncomfortable stare by Logan, she demanded, “What?”

“You gonna tell me?”

“Tell you what?”

“Woman,” he growled. “Are you dense. I asked what was bothering you.”

She met his hard stare with one of her own. “Right now, you are.”

His lips curved.

Damn it, no man should be that preposterously sexy. She slammed her hand against the table.

He chuckled.

“Ass.” She cursed aloud.

“Anytime,” he drawled, lowering his feet and leaning towards her.

She could smell the clean scent of his shampoo from his recent shower. Ororo rose to her feet hurriedly, moving to the sink to deposit her plate, hoping that he wouldn‘t see any of the lingering hurt she felt. “You’d think one woman a day would be enough, even for you,” she retorted brusquely.

Logan winced internally. Shit.

Seeing an opportunity for a bit of pettiness, and not “too big” to take advantage, Ororo stepped back to the table and murmured saucily, “You could probably learn a thing or two from Scott. Now he knows how to treat a woman.”

Logan shot to his feet, his eyes snapping. “If he knows so much about pleasing women, why the fuck is his girl still panting after me?”

Ororo cocked her head, seemingly contemplating that. After a pause, she leaned closer, whispering, “Pleasing the body is easy, Wolverine. I good showerhead can take care of that better than most men. Pleasing the heart, well, that’s an altogether different sort of pleasure for a woman.” She pat his back platonically as she passed. “You’ll understand someday, whenever you decide to grow up and be a real man.” Once through the door she said softly, knowing he could still hear her. “Like Scott.”

She smiled with satisfaction when she heard an aggrivated snarl and round of “flamin’ fucks” from the kitchen. Her steps took on a lighter bounce and outside a rainbow spread over the mansion.

“Hey, Storm.” Scott rounded the corner, heading her way.

“Hey.” She greeted, still smiling. “What’s up?”

“Nothing. Gonna grab a sandwich.” He started past her.

“Oh no. You do not want to go in there right now,” she laughed, tugging his arm.

“Huh? Why not? I’m hungry.”

“Come on. Take me to town and I’ll buy you some Burger King.”

A sucker for a Whopper, Scott followed. He tossed a curious glance over his shoulder when he heard the distinct sound of a plate smashing against the wall. He opened his mouth to ask, but Ororo silenced him.

“Don’t ask.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.”

Laughing, linked arm and arm, the pair set out for town under the feral sheen of glittering black eyes and a deeply troubled set of green ones.
Rebellion by windrider1
Two double Whoppers with cheese and large onion rings ordered Ororo and Scott sat chewing happily across from one another in a small booth adjacent to the beige Burger King counter near the front of the fast food restaurant.

“Mmmm, greasy goodness.” Ororo licked her fingertip, splotched with pink from a mixture of mayo and ketchup.

Scott nodded, taking another hearty bite from his burger. “The Professor would have a fit if he knew what we were eating.”

Ororo took a sip from her chocolate shake before asking, “What makes you think he doesn’t? The man is psychic.”

Scott groaned. “Good point.” He rubbed his temples with his fingers. “I see…I see…extra workout sessions in our futures.”

“Probably.” She munched an onion ring with gusto. “But so worth it. Grapes and granola just don’t cut it some days.”

“Most days,” Scott wholeheartedly agreed. Although the meals at Xavier’s were often plentiful and nutritious, very rarely were they “bad for you” foods, like deep fat fried onion rings.

The two sat in companionable silence for a time, the only sound between them being an occasional slurp from a straw. Twice Scott reached over the table with his napkin wiping smudges from Ororo’s lip and chin. The third dollop of ketchup landed just above the neckline of her v-neck tank, on the swell of her right breast. They exchanged laughing glances at his, “That’s all you,“ retreat.

“You don’t want to lick it off?” she inquired teasingly.

“That’s a baited trap if ever there was one,” he replied.

Ororo used her thumb to wipe away the offending condiment, her eyes sparkling mischievously. “Your loss.”

“No doubt.” he cleared his throat, pretending to adjust his collar.

They resumed eating, both smiling around their food.

When he was finished Scott folded his napkin back into perfect shape, laying it on the corner of his tray in a neat diagonal from his folded wrapper and empty cup.

Ororo watched the methodical placement of each object with a raised brow. She shook her head, ineffectually hiding the crooked tilt of her lips.

Scott sighed good naturedly. “I know, I know.”

“I can only imagine your medicine cabinet,” Ororo teased, tossing her own crumpled napkin onto her tray.

“From Anbesol to Zyrtec, all alphabetical.”

“There’s a word for that you know.”

“Organized,” he replied with his own grin.

She snickered. “Yeah, that’s one word for it, not the one I was thinking, but it‘ll do.”

They shared another comfortable, quite moment. “You have a great smile,” she said softly.

Surprised, Scott cleared his throat. “Thanks. So do you.”

Ororo purposely folded a slice of pickle over her front teeth then beamed at him, crossing her eyes. “You think?”

Without missing a beat he said gallantly, “Oh, yeah. Definitely. Mmhm. The green brings out your lovely eyes.”

Placing a fresh napkin to her lips she removed the pickle. “I’m stuffed.”

Scott glanced at his watch, as he had done twice in the past hour. “Yeah, it’s been nearly an hour, we should head back.”

Ororo leaned against her elbow, getting comfortable. “Why? Afraid people will talk?”

“People always talk.”

“I meant specific people; person would be more precise.”

“No.”

“Jean doesn’t get jealous?”

“I would never give her reason to be.”

Quite simply one of the most honest and heartbreaking statements Ororo had ever heard and she had to turn away, unable to look into Scott’s handsome, earnest face and know what she knew about the woman he professed such loyalty to.

“So, you ever going to tell me what was going on in the kitchen?” he questioned, deciding a change of subject was in order, not realizing that the events in the kitchen were
directly related to their previous topic and to what was making Ororo scowl.

A rumble of thunder rippled across the clear blue sky. “Nothing important.”

“Uh-huh.” Scott was clearly unconvinced of the non-importance.

Scanning the booths and tables fro a distraction Ororo found herself looking towards a lanky, big eyed teen behind the counter who was busy staring at her like she was the first female he’d ever seen. She lifted her fingers in a small wave. He ducked under the counter; literally.

“Careful, Storm, you may very well give that boy a heart attack.” Scott chuckled.

“You’d think he’d never seen a girl before,” she muttered.

“Not one like you,” Scott confirmed, with some male appreciation of his own.

She eyed him speculatively. “Why, Scott, I do believe you’re a bit of a flirt after all.”

He shrugged easily, giving her yet another glimpse of his hidden laid back side. “Nope, just honest.”

“Ah.” Again Ororo was forced to look at the table as opposed to meeting his ruby shielded eyes.

“Hey.” Scott’s hand covered hers. “What‘s the problem?”

She gave him a wan smile. “You’re a great guy.”

He chuckled. “And that’s a problem?”

“Depends on who you ask,” she answered vaguely. “Some would say that nice guys finish last.”

“And I would say that’s what makes us great in the bedroom.”

Ororo’s startled whoop of laughter drew counter-boy from his hiding spot, his bug eyes peering over the stack of cardboard crowns, darting between Ororo and Scott before his manager came to tap him on the shoulder.

“I never would have pegged you as the type to joke about sex,” Ororo responded breathlessly as her laughter subsided.

“Well, normally, no,” Scott agreed, his face a bit flushed. “Making love is not usually something that I--”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Ororo held up her free hand, the other still beneath Scott’s warm one. “Did you just use the term ‘making love‘? I don’t think I have ever actually heard anyone use that phrase in genuine conversation.”

He coughed, feeling slightly awkward. “That’s a good sign that we shouldn’t continue this conversation.”

“Possibly.” She tilted her head, considering. “Or, it means you don’t discuss it enough if you’re using such archaic terms.”

“Storm,” he began, his tone holding a mild warning that she refused to heed.

“Making love sounds so…romance novel cliché.”

Resigned to his fate, Scott replied, “Well, shouldn’t it be romantic? I mean, I think it should. It should hold meaning and feeling and it should always be special. A woman should be made to feel cherished, respected, and loved.”

“Awww.” Ororo gave his fingers a gentle squeeze. “That’s sweet.”

One brow lifted over the dark rim of his glasses. “Why do I feel there’s a ‘but’ in there?”

Ororo shook her head hastily. “No, no, that really is very sweet.”

“Storm.” He watched her expression carefully. “I can’t believe you’re jaded enough to believe that maki--sex shouldn’t be special?”

She sighed. “Of course it should be special.”

“Buuuuut,” he prompted.

She sighed quietly, almost inwardly. “But, sadly, I don’t think all people feel that way. Sometimes…sometimes, sex isn’t about the feelings.” God, why was this so awkward? She should just come out and say ‘Sometimes it’s about fucking, Scott, just fucking. Y’know, like Jean does with Logan.’ “Sometimes, it’s just about the sex. Pants around your feet, up against the wall, screwing.” She modified her thought before vocalizing it.

Scott’s face was a dull crimson, his jaw set. “I see. So, what? You think that I should also think along the same lines? Give up my romanticized ideals for the club ‘em upside the head and drag ‘em by their hair into a dark corner and have my wicked way with them kind of sex? No thanks, that’s more Wolverine’s thing.” His voice was hard. “When Jean wants that, she knows where to go.”

Ororo choked.

Scott maneuvered around the table whapping her between the shoulder blades when it became clear she truly couldn’t breath. “You okay?”

She shook her head, gasping for air. “No,” she spluttered. She wiped the winded tears from her eyes. A few more wracking coughs and her pipe was clear. She pressed a hand to her chest, clearing her throat. Choking to death on one’s own spit was definitely number 2 on her list of ways not to die.

When she was done, Scott tucked his finger under her chin, lifting her face. “You didn’t think I knew.”

“Obviously.” she muttered.

He moved away from her, returning to his seat across the table. “Is that why you’re spending time with me?” he asked, seemingly more hurt by that than by the fact that his girlfriend was screwing another man. “Because you feel sorry for poor exploited Cyclops?”

She thought about how to answer that question for a moment before responding. “I won‘t say it didn‘t play a part in me spending time with you,” Ororo said honestly. “But the truth of the matter is, I like you. You‘re fun to be with.”

“Thanks.” His tone was detached and reserved.

“Don’t.” Ororo reached for his hand. “Don’t turn into Cyclops. He’s a prick. I prefer Scott.”

His mouth curved ruefully. “So do I.”

“How long have you known about the not so clandestine trysts?” She asked quietly.

“I think I’ve always known,” he replied just as quiet. He met her troubled eyes. “Don’t do that.” He frowned. “Don’t look at me like I’m the one getting the short end of the stick, because I’m not! Jean loves me. She uses him.”

Ororo said nothing for a long minute, studying him intently. Then, “You have hidden fire, Scott.”

He blinked behind ruby lenses, caught off guard by the topic shift. “No, I’m pretty tame, but it’s nice that you think so.”

She smiled knowingly. “Yes, you do. We just need to find a way to unlock it.”

“Good luck with that.”

Ororo leaned back in her seat. “For a pro like me, picking this lock will be a piece of cake.”

“I am who I am,” he said, a bit defensively.

She disagreed. “No, you’re not. You’re who you think you should be, you’re the guy that you think everyone wants you to be: the stoic leader, the perfect boyfriend, the all around good guy, but the one thing that you’re not, is you.”

His expression was quizzical, and slightly amused. “So, I’m none of those other things?”

“To an extent,” she acknowledged with a playful poke. “All of those traits are pieces of you, Scott. But they are not the whole.” After a deliberate pause she added, “You will never be Wolverine for Jean.”

He flinched.

“Nor should you have to be.” She reached across the table, touching his cheek. “You are wonderful just the way you are, and should never, ever make any acquiesce of self to assure the happiness of another.”

Without thinking Scott turned his face, kissing her open palm. “I see now why Henry found your talks so enlightening, as he put it.”

“I’m a plethora of wisdom and guidance,” she agreed with mock snobbery. “Speaking of Hank, you wanna take a run to Boston and check in on ole Blue?”

Cyclops would of course say no, they could always find work to do, training and chores, and of course they should set a good example to the younger students by taking their roles as X-Men seriously.

With the most carefree smile Ororo had ever seen, Scott said, “Sure. Let’s go.”

~XXX~


Logan paced his bedroom floor in stiff, agitated strides, the heels of his boots making sharp clacks against the hardwood. Where the hell were they? He paused in his march, flexing his shoulders, feeling disquietingly restless. Stopped beside his window, he parted the solid navy curtains blocking out the sun so that he could view the driveway. Still no sign of Scott’s blue and silver car. He shot his bedside clock an angry scowl, probably the fifth he‘d given it that afternoon. They’d been gone nearly three hours. What the hell could they be doing that took them three flamin’ hours?

The answer that jumped into his head was immediate, and graphic, and resulted in him popping his claws. He clenched his teeth, grinding them as he recalled Ororo’s taunting statements and the sultry way she had whispered, “Like Scott.” from behind the kitchen door. He tried without success to dismiss the incident and her from his mind. He would have had more success trying to lift the mansion over his head.

He let the curtain fall back into place. If Jeannie wasn’t in with the Professor doing some telepathy training he’d ask her where they were. She always knew where Scott was. Not that she’d ever really needed to wonder before, as he’d most commonly be found under her feet, but ever since Ororo’s return to the team Scott seemed…different.

A rumble of sound reverberated through Logan’s chest, the type of warning growl that usually rose the hackles of those around him. Logically he knew his behavior was irrational and uncalled for. He had no claim over Ororo, and if Scooter wanted to fuck her, and who could blame him if he did, then Logan was in no position to call the guy out on it.

After all, hadn’t he been balls deep in Jean not too long ago? Not liking the guilty turn in his gut at that, Logan shoved his hand through his thick hair, furthering it’s natural inclination for disarray. Why the hell he even bothered with Jean anymore was beyond him. Sure he cared about her; he always would. Jean was the first person he could remember ever treating him like he was valued for more than his killing ability. She would always hold a special niche in his heart for that.

As for the sex, well, it was good, as always, but not satisfying. She hadn’t been satisfying since he’d been in that room with Ororo clad only in her skimpy Egyptian get up, donning his Stetson and riding his lap like a born cowgirl.

Just thinking about it made his cock ache so bad it put him on a violent edge. He just needed to get her out of his system, he mused. She was like forbidden fruit or some shit. Once he had her, he’d be able to wash his hands of it and get back feeling normal instead of being ready to gut someone at the drop of a hat, which, was admittedly, pretty damn close to normal for him anyway, but that was beside the point. At least if he fucked her than maybe his balls would stop throbbing and waking him in the middle of the night leaving him aching in ways that defied the physical.

He returned once more to the window, watching the students still outside enjoying the afternoon sun, completely oblivious to the dangerous man two stories above them. He let out another disgruntled chuff, deciding his time was better served nursing a beer as opposed to watching the clock. They’d be back soon anyway, he figured, as he descended the stairs. It was Scott’s laundry day after all : every Friday, four o’clock sharp.

~XXX~


The Academy of Tomorrow resided atop a small hill on the outskirts of Boston, looking down onto a picturesque colonial little town, with rolling green lawns and quaint homes. The place was often affectionately referred to as Mutie Haven due to the open reception mutants received there. They were not outsiders here, but community members. It was a shame that not more communities adopted that method of thinking.

Scott cut the engine of his Viper, staring out the windshield towards the school that rivaled Xavier’s for opulence. Large marble columns, atop a large stone staircase, rose across the front of the brick building, flanked on either side by Griffin statues, and emblazoned across the front of the school was If it can be Imagined, it can be Achieved. Emma Frost‘s student motto. “Well, here we are.”

Something in Scott’s voice made Ororo glance at him. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” He shrugged. “It’s just…”

“Just what?”

“Alex goes here.”

“Old girlfriend?”

Scott scoffed. “Hell, no. My brother.”

“Oh.”

“Who’s dating my old girlfriend.”

“Oooooh.” Ororo’s eyes sparkled mischievously. “Scott Summers you’re just chock full of mysteries aren’t you.” She leaned against her door, eyeing him with simulated fear. “You aren’t wanted for murder are you?”

“In four states,” he confirmed.

“Oh, well, if it’s only four states.” She opened her door, stepping out into the warm sunshine, placing her hand over her eyes, ignoring the sunglasses atop her head. “Come on, I want to meet this brother of yours, and find Henry.” She was headed for the front walkway before he could say a word, her long hair swaying behind her.

Students of varying ages littered the quad, some playing, others on their laptops, most of them were talking amongst themselves. Several eyes lifted towards the newcomers warily, but not without welcome. Hesitant smiles and waves were tossed their way. Ororo skimmed the crowd looking for a tuft of blue among the student body. She should have known he’d find her.

“Oh, my stars and garters!”

Ororo whirled, arms wide open in greeting, her delight at hearing an old familiar catch phrase from her former team mate evident in her brilliant smile. “Hank!” She was immediately swallowed up by two thick arms, covered in dark indigo fur and swung about, full circle.

Henry McCoy was a large man with gentle features whose mutant agility and supreme intelligence had made him a wanted commodity. He had been forever altered by the military, taking away his human features they made him animal like in appearance, but try as they might they could not remove his humanity, or humor. As was obvious by his tee shirt that was stamped: [ PETA Protected].

It was that sense of humor that had drawn Ororo to him when she had first joined the X-Men. She had bonded quickly and easily with Henry McCoy and the two had even dated for a time, and it was during the course of that relationship that “Oh my stars and garters” had come to be. Not many people knew of the phrases true origins, and Ororo nor Henry had ever revealed it, but the truth of the matter was that “oh my stars and garters” were the initial words out of Henry’s mouth after he and she had shared their first real kiss. Ever since, it had stuck as a catch phrase for anything that he found astonishing.

Although their relationship had ended, it had not ended badly, and in its wake had left an unshakable friendship between the two.

“Ororo, what on earth are you doing here?” He set her to the ground, still holding her two hands, looking her up and down as people did when they had been apart for a time.

“We came to visit you,” she replied, grinning.

“We?” Henry looked up, his grin broadening further at the sight of Scott.

“Hey, Hank.” Scott held out his hand which Henry shook pulling Scott in for a “man hug”. Two claps against the back. Any more than that was awkward and unwanted by most males, Ororo surmised, watching the exchange.

Henry peered over Scott’s shoulder. “Where is the delightful redhead of whom you hold in the highest regard?”

Scott lifted one shoulder. “The Professor had some sort of tests he wanted her to do with her telepathy and telekinetic ability.”

“Ah.” Being a scientists Henry could well relate to the need to run test after test, and the delicious sense of accomplishment when one figured something intricately tricky out. He motioned them towards one of the many shaded gazebos on the lawn. “I must say this is a pleasant surprise. When did you return to the X-Men?” he asked Ororo.

Ororo crossed her long legs, bouncing the top one across her knee. “I haven’t really been fully brought back onto the team.”

Henry exchanged a look with Scott. “Really? Why not?”

Scott shook his head. “Don’t look at me. Not my call.” He turned towards Ororo.

Henry also returned his attention to her, making her feel rather on the spot. “What is keeping you from wearing the big yellow X?”

She shifted uncomfortably beneath Henry’s too knowing eyes. “Perhaps the same thing that keeps you here at Frost’s Academy as opposed to Xavier’s Institute.”

“Touché.” Henry tipped his imaginary hat.

Before their conversation could continue further a high squeal of feminine delight washed over them. “Oh, my god! Scott!”

A slim, athletic woman jogged towards them, her mint green hair pulled back in a high ponytail out of her face while she ran. She was quite pretty with vivid green eyes, smooth alabaster skin, and oddly tinted lips. Taller than most girls, roughly the same height as Ororo, she still carried a delicate frame.

Scott rose to his feet, greeting the woman rather awkwardly. “Uh, hey, Lorna.”

“It is you!” She threw herself into his arms. “Hey stranger.”

From her seat Ororo lifted a brow, not missing the slight flush to Scott’s face, or the subtle softness that had crept into Lorna’s voice. The two broke away, but held eye contact a moment longer. The ex-girlfriend, Ororo assumed.

“Lorna! Wait up!” Another voice called, this one male, and panting.

Alex Summers was shorter than his brother, but carried the same genetic blessings, Ororo noted. Strong chin, chiseled features and smooth lips. Where Scott had russet brown hair, Alex had been given the truly all-American ideal blond. The younger man’s posture immediately stiffened upon spying his older brother.

Ororo sensed tension emanating from Scott as well. Brotherly rivalry, perhaps?

“What the hell are you doing here?” Alex demanded striding up the gazebo ramp.

“Al--” Lorna began, but Ororo cut her off.

Standing, Ororo gushed, “You must be Alex. Scott speaks so very highly of you.”

That brought both Summers up short. “Huh? He does? Wait, who the heck are you?”

“Ororo Munroe,” she held out her hand, which he shook. Good grip, she jotted into her mental log.

Lorna stepped beside Alex, wrapping her arm around his waist, using her free hand to also shake Ororo’s. “Sorry, how rude of me,” she apologized. Then she grinned approvingly. “So you finally got rid of that pain in the ass Jean.”

Henry guffawed.

“Uhm, no.” Ororo said with a laugh. “Scott and I are just friends.”

Scott rubbed the back of his neck. “Yeah. Jean and I are still together.”

Lorna rolled her eyes. She let the subject drop however, instead opting to ask, “So, what brings you to the Academy?”

“That’d be him,” Ororo sidled up against Hank, wrapping her arms across his shoulders. “I had a hankering for something blue.”

He rested his cheek on her head companionably. “Hankering?” he teased, knowing she’d used the word intentionally.

“How long are you staying,” came Alex’s question.

“Oooh, you have to come out with us tonight!” Lorna butt in. “Tell them Henry! Tell them they have to come with us.”

Hank laughed. “I am positive they heard the invitation as they are both right here.”

Lorna smiled, blushing. “Sorry. I got a bit excited.”

“Happens.” Scott replied.

“So, what about tonight?” Lorna insisted, her face eager.

Tiny beeps came from Scott’s wrist in reply. Four o’clock, time for the whites.

“That’s a no,” Alex chimed in. “Scott has a schedule to keep.” The way he drew out the word schedule spoke volumes as to how Alex viewed that particular trait.

Scott lifted his wrist, shutting off the reminder alarm. He glanced at Storm, who was watching him without expectation, just watching.

He raised a quizzical brow.

She cocked her head, her eyes glittering with repressed mirth and a hint of challenge.

He undid his leather watchstrap, dropping the timepiece to the floor before stomping on it. “We’ll need some fresh clothes.”

Alex’s jaw dropped, Henry muttered something about the laws of probability, Lorna squeed and Ororo grinned triumphantly.

“Come with me,” Lorna grabbed Ororo’s hand. “I bet I have something you can wear.” She pulled Ororo behind her, racing towards the school. “Be back, guys!”

Ororo, stumbled after Lorna, laughing. She turned and waved at Scott, blowing him and Henry a kiss.

“Fascinating.” Henry said, his studious gaze on Scott’s profile.

“What?” Scott demanded.

“I never would have believed it had I not witnessed the miraculous event myself. Scott Summers being, gasp, spontaneous.” Henry held his hand over his heart.

Alex too seemed stunned by his brother’s uncustomary behavior. “Well, well, well,” he said, crossing his arms over his chest and rocking back on the heels of his sneakers looking a bit smug.

Scott glowered. “Stuff it, little brother.”

Alex held up his hands, but his smile was pure devilment. “Can’t blame you. That chick is smokin’ hot.”

“She’s my friend.” Scott countered with firm conviction.

Henry stood, clasping Scott on the shoulder with one big hand. “Fear not, my friend. I believe your interest in our mutual weather wielding acquaintance is purely platonic.”

“Thank you,” Scott replied.

“Although, she is, as your brother so eloquently put it, smoking hot.”

“I only have eyes for-”

“We know, we know,” Alex cut in. “The patron saint of all that is good and right with the world, the infallible epitome of womanhood, Jean Grey.”

One bushy blue brow shot up. “Very good, Alex. I may have to borrow that line.”

“Feel free.” Alex quipped. “I hope to never have to say it again.”

Despite the good natured intentions behind the ribbing Scott felt his temper flare. “Why don’t you like Jean?” he wanted to know, his voice hard.

“Never said I didn’t.” Alex contradicted. “Lorna can’t stand her, but you know that.”

~XXX~


“She’s a bitch.”

The two women were in Lorna’s spacious bedroom, a room that made the accommodations at Xavier’s seem sparse, rifling through the green haired mutant’s closet.

Ororo gave the massive bookcase one last perusal before turning her attention to the muttering Lorna. “Who?” she asked, her fingertips dancing across the satin fabric of the king size bed’s counterpane as she passed it.

“Jean.” Lorna grunted, pulling out a drawer, revealing lots of skimpy, spaghetti strapped tops. She gave Ororo a once over, she lingered on her more than generous endowments, then shook her head. “Nope, you’d bust right out of these.” She closed the drawer, moving to another.

“I wasn’t aware you knew Jean,” Ororo stated, her curiosity peeked.

Lorna sat back on her haunches, wiping her forehead. “We met once. It was enough.”

“Hm.”

“Awhile back, your Professor Xavier tried to recruit me for his school. As soon as I saw Scott I was set to agree.”

“Was this before or after you two had dated?”

“Oh, after.” Lorna stood, wiping her hands on her shorts. “I was still hung up on him though.”

Ororo blinked. She had gotten the impression that Lorna had left Scott. Granted, Scott had not said that, but that was what she had assumed. This new twist was interesting to say the least. “What happened between you two?”

Lorna sighed softly. “I wanted adventure, action, spontaneity, you know something wild.”

Sounds like Jean, Ororo thought but refrained from saying.

“Scott, well, he didn’t think he could give that to me, so he set me free.”

“Set you free?” That was a disturbing turn of phrase.

Lorna removed the elastic from her thick waves, shaking the curls out. “His words, not mine.”

Another revealing insight to Cyclops. Ororo frowned, her thoughts turned inward. Did he really feel that being with him was like being caged? Was that why he allowed Jean to have her taste of the wild?

“You didn’t try to talk him out of ending it?”

“Oh, of course I did. I practically begged him.” Lorna sat down on the end of her bed. “But he was so convinced that he was doing the right thing, that there was nothing I could say to change his mind. He can be really stubborn when he wants to be.”

“Don’t I know it.” Ororo took the seat beside the vanity, straddling it. “Then what happened?”

Lorna thought for a moment. “Well, I didn’t see him after we broke up for about a year. Not until I toured Xavier’s and saw Scott in the lobby.” She laughed, a bit breathlessly. “My heart damn near jumped out of my chest.”

The way Lorna said Scott’s name told Ororo that the feelings Lorna had once held for her friend weren’t altogether dead and gone.

“He looked at me and it was still there, y’know, the spark. But then she entered the room and I ceased to exist.”

There was no doubt to the identity of the she in which Lorna referred, nor was there any doubt to the level of contempt she had for Jean if her lip sneer was any thing to go by.

“I couldn’t believe how lucky I was when I saw him, and then to see him all goo-goo over her,” she made a sound of disgust. “He looked like a drooling, vacant puppy.” Lorna waved one hand, the metal drawer pulls on her dresser rattling. “To this day I swear she messed with his head.”

Ororo watched the spinning knobs contemplatively. “Sounds more like jealousy as opposed to Jean being a bitch,” she pointed out.

“Wait.” Lorna said. “So, here I am, face to face with the guy I had envisioned myself with for the long haul, and she looks at me, right. I mean looks at me like she can see everything going on in my head, which now I know was probably the case, and then she plants one on him. Right there in the open lobby.” She sneered again. “Marking her territory.”

Ororo’s mouth twitched in amusement. “Still sounds like jealousy.”

Lorna laughed without humor. “Yeah, I suppose it does. It hurt so much back then, and when he looked my way again, I swear, he didn’t see me anymore.” Her gaze and voice were bitter. “No one will ever convince me that that bitch didn’t do something to him.”

Ororo processed all that Lorna was telling her, a niggling sense of misgiving creeping into her head. Was Jean capable of something like manipulating Scott’s mind? Ororo certainly hoped not. Jean was her friend, despite the recent tension between them. “Why didn’t you accept Xavier’s invitation and join the team. Maybe you could have still had something.”

“I couldn’t. I wanted to harm her, bodily, and I knew that feeling wasn’t going to go away any time soon, so I declined. Moved out here, and was recruited by Miss Frost.”

“And Alex?”

“I knew Alex from before, obviously. He came here and we struck a conversation, then starting having lunches together, and before you knew it, l’amore.” Lorna smiled but it didn’t quite reach her eyes. She exhaled a shaky breath. “Listen to me jabber on about things best left alone.” She rose quickly and returned to rummaging through her closet.

“So, where are we headed tonight?” Ororo asked, deciding to follow Lorna’s lead and shift the conversation into more neutral conversation.

“To a place called Rebellion. Alex heard it is the place to go.” Lorna said, elbow deep in another drawer, her voice muffled from within the closet. Buried as she was she didn’t see the wide grin that spread across Ororo’s face, or the sparks of electricity that danced in her eyes.

~XXX~


Loud didn’t even begin to describe the music blasting inside of Rebellion. The bottles of alcohol in varying forms behind the marble topped bar rattled in time to the booming bass. Leaning close to Ororo’s ear Scott still had to practically shout, “How about over there?” as he pointed across the room towards a vacant table.

She nodded, turning her face towards his. “Sounds good.” Their lips feathered, drawing startled chuckles from both of them. She jostled his arm playfully. “Relax, Scott.”

He grinned sheepishly. “I’m working on it.”

“Good.” She linked their arms. “Let’s go have some fun!” She grabbed Henry’s hand, pulling him reluctantly through the front doors.

“Ororo, really, I have experiments that --” His voice trailed away as he took in the club, and it’s many, many mutant partiers.

She playfully closed his open mouth. “You were saying?”

“Can wait until morning,” he finished.

“More like late afternoon,” Alex chimed in. He already had two drinks in hand.

The quintet made there way to the back table relatively easily considering the swelling crowd. It was early yet and already the bar was near capacity.

Scott leaned across the table. “How you holding up? Not too crowded for you is it?”

Ororo blinked, touched that he once again remembered her aversion to enclosed spaces and crowds. “I’m good, thanks.”

He nodded, appeased by her assurance.

“Holy fuckeroo, I can’t believe what the cat drug in. Munroe! You sly bitch, where the hell have you been?” If punk had ever been personified it would have been the heavily tattooed woman striding towards their table with a look that bordered on pissed and furious. Black as pitch hair spiked around an oval face. Aquamarine eyes lined with dark liner and thick mascara was the only makeup on an otherwise smooth, flawless face. Multiple piercings graced her upper lip, nose, eyebrows, ears and other unmentionable, hidden, places of her anatomy. A black sleeveless shirt with the word: Nympho across the chest, dark green pocket pants and army boots completed the expressive ensemble.

Ororo tilted her head back over the back of her chair, greeting the fuming newcomer with puckered lips.

Much to Scott and Henry’s surprise and Alex’s delight the dark haired punker leaned down and kissed Ororo full on the mouth.

Ororo sat up, smiling with observable delight. “Around,” she answered the nearly forgotten question.

“Hey I know you!” Alex said. “You’re the lead singer for Dazzler, right?”

“Around where?” The question went ignored.

“Took a trip to Texas, Colorado and Arizona.”

“Missing the desert or something?”

“Funny.”

“I try.”

“Ahem!” Scott broke in, poking Ororo in her bare shoulder.

“Oh, Jesus.” Ororo laughed. “I’m sorry. Scott Summers, Henry McCoy, Alex Summers and Lorna…” A questioning glance brought forth Lorna’s last name.

“Dane.”

“Dane,” Ororo added. “This is Alison Blaire.”

Alison nodded to the others. “Hey.”

Murmured greetings sounded around the table.

“Leave it to you to run into someone you know in a random club in Massachusetts,” Henry joked.

Ali scoffed replying with a statement that brought forth more questions. “Random? She’s part owner.”

“Excuse me?” Scott tilted his head towards Ororo. “You own this place?”

“Jointly.” Ororo nodded. “With Ali here.”

For a moment Scott’s mouth thinned, and Ororo knew the direction his thoughts had taken. “I used my own money to buy this place,” she said with a great deal of pride. “Long before I joined the X-Men.”

“But it just opened,” Alex commented.

It was Ali’s turn to respond with pride. “Took us some years, but finally it all came together.”

“Us, nothing,” Ororo corrected. “All you. I just provided the money.”

“And ideas.” Ali looked over her shoulder, back towards the bar. “But enough ego stroking, I got work to do, and you have a bet to own up to.”

Ororo wrinkled her nose. “I can’t believe you remembered after eight months.”

“Hell yeah. It’s a rare occasion when I get the better of you.” She held up her finger indicating that she would be right back. When she returned she was carrying a tray of five double shot glasses. Ororo screwed up her face in anticipation.

“Here we go.” Ali lowered the tray directly in front of Ororo. “Five double shots of Blue Agave.”

Ororo shook her head, her eyes wide. “You’re trying to kill me, aren’t you?”

“Nope. Get you shit faced, yes. Kill you, nope. Not today.” Ali lifted a glass towards Ororo. “Bottom’s up, chica.”

Clear and crisp it was the most potent tequila on the market. Ororo held the shot glass between her fingers. She looked towards Scott who surprised her for the hundredth time that day by reaching out and tipping the glass towards her lips.

“A bet’s a bet,” he said sternly.

Ali grinned. “Oh, I like him.” She called one of her waitresses over. “Drinks on the house for this table.”

Alex smacked his hands together. “I’m about to break you gals,” he said ordering a bottle of Jack Daniels, which he and Scott matched Shot for shot.

Lorna favored apple margaritas and Henry indulged only a bit in some imported beer. Conversation and drinks flowed as the night wore on. Laughter, jokes, lewd comments and all the rites of passage for a good night out transpired. Scott couldn’t remember ever having so much fun and Ororo couldn’t think of anywhere she’d rather be than with the group of people she was with.

As the crowd dwindled as the night neared closing and the clock neared the 2 am mark Ali changed the music from techno dance to her preferred eclectic variance.

As a particularly well liked song came on Ororo reached for Scott. “Dance with me.”

Lorna and Alex both replied for him with, “Scott can’t dance.”

Ororo was having none of that. “Everyone can dance.”

Scott shook hi head in denial. “Not me. You’d have better luck teaching a fish to fly.”

“Well, then,” Ororo said cheerfully. “How fortunate because as it happens I can make fish fly.” She tugged him to his feet. “You. Me. Dance floor. Now.”

“I would do as the lady says,” Henry advised. “Rarely should one refuse a woman that can electrocute you.”

Prepared to accept his fate Scott followed Ororo onto the sparsely populated dance floor. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he murmured.

Warning acknowledged Ororo stepped close, swaying to the steady rhythm of the music. Scott on the other hand stood stiff and unbending. Ororo took his hands, placing them on her hips. “See, like that,” she suggested.

“Sorry, Storm, I warned you. I cannot dance. I don‘t know any of the steps.”

“Course you can,” she argued. “You’re just thinking about it too much. Dancing isn’t about steps, it’s about moving and feeling.”

He still looked hesitant.

Ororo moved in closer. “Do me a favor, Scott?”

“Sure.”

“Close your eyes.”

“…okay.”

Satisfied that he wasn’t lying, Ororo reached up, pulling his ruby shades from his eyes. Immediately his hands snatched her wrists.

“What are you doing?” he demanded.

“Trust me.”

His grip didn’t budge.

“Scott, trust me.” Ororo repeated.

Slowly his fingers uncurled from around her wrist and she removed the glasses, placing them over her own eyes. “Okay,” she placed his hands once more on her hips. “Now feel.

The room was quiet save for the music as the couple on the floor began to move.

~XXX~


The nightclub parking lot was near vacant leaving plenty of room for the X-Wing to land. A smaller jet than the Blackbird, designed for speed and maneuverability the Wings were the X-Men’s preferred mode of transportation when not on missions.

The hatch swung open with a hiss, allowing the jet’s two occupants out into the still night.

Jean adjusted her uniform halter top and belt. “They’re close,” she said. It had taken her and Xavier hours to track down Scott. Since it was no use tracking Ororo, with all of her static interference, they had set about trying to locate Scott.

When Jean and the Professor had returned to the Institute from the SHIELD research facility it had been well past ten o’clock in the evening, and both telepaths had been run down. However, upon hearing that Scott and Ororo had not returned to the mansion since earlier that afternoon they had immediately begun trying to locate them.

Cerebro had to be resorted to when it became apparent that Cyclops was unreachable, either by injury or mental inebriation. Neither the Professor or Jean had thought that perhaps their stoic leader was intoxicated.

“This is the place.” Jean said more to herself than to Logan. Her lips thinned, recognizing the area. Emma Frost’s school wasn’t too far away from here. Had Scott gone to visit Alex and fought? And if so, over what? Lorna? Was he inside nursing his wounded pride? Injuries? What?

The not knowing was eating at her. She’d always had an intimate connection with Scott and not being able to establish that link earlier had cause significant alarm for her. Steeling herself to be an emotional support should he need it, Jean pushed through the front doors of the Rebellion and stopped dead in her tracks.

“What the fuck, Red.” Logan grunted, nearly colliding with her.

His question was answered a moment later when he peered over her shoulder and spotted Scott on the dance floor. Scott had one hand under a mystery girl’s curled thigh at his waist, her hips pressed flush to his as she undulated to the music, both very much oblivious to their surroundings. Suddenly, Scott spun the girl away, pulling her back and moving his hips in a shockingly good imitation of hers.

“What the hell is he doing?” Jean hissed.

A slightly amused, husky voice that sent a pulse of raw heat through Logan’s body, answered. “Looks like he’s dancing.”

“Ororo.” Jean turned, her eyes narrowing.

“Hiya, Jean,” Alex greeted drunkenly. “Lookit, Scotty’s dancin’ with Lorna!”

“So I see,” Jean acknowledged, her voice like ice. Her eyes never left Ororo’s self-satisfied face. “This is your doing.”

Ororo gave the dance floor a quick look, her smile widening. “Oh, no. That’s nature’s doing, Jean. I had nothing to do with it.” She stepped closer to the red head, whispering. “Scott is not nearly as tame as you’d like him to be.” She gave Logan a pointed look. “Not all men can be brought to heel so easily.” With that she turned and sauntered back towards her table.

She only made it a couple of steps when a strong hand enclosed over her elbow in a demanding grip that would not be denied. She tossed a white hot look over her shoulder.

Logan’s hard mouth curved, taking on an almost cruel, implacable edge. He jerked her back towards him, right up to his chest. “I don’t heel,” he snarled.

She blinked innocently. “I never said you did.”

He growled.

She leaned towards him involuntarily, as if responding to a call that only the two of them heard. She shook her head, trying to clear away the lingering alcohol and the disturbing effect that Logan had on her. Smug satisfaction glittered in his dark eyes when he felt her chest brush his. His lip curled back in a sinister smile that was so unbearably sexy that Ororo couldn’t for a moment breathe.

He was excruciatingly appealing with his dark hair mussed as though he’d rummaged his hands through it, several locks falling over his wide forehead. His smooth lips were outlined by the deep shadow of his whiskers, making him all the more male. She damn near whimpered with wanting. His nostrils flared, scenting her, and she knew, her arousal.

As if in verification of her sinful thoughts his eyes dilated further. He pulled her closer still, murmuring into her ear, “Gonna fuck you soon.” It was a promise, it was a warning, and it was a threat all rolled into one.

Before Ororo could even formulate the words to reply Logan was jerked back away from her and Scott’s fist smashed into his nose, the one place on his face not protected by adamantium.

“Hands off!”

“Scott!” Jean grabbed his arm.

Logan wiped the bloody spray from his upper lip, his face a mask of fury. -SNIKT- “Wanna know what yer insides look like, Scooter?”

“Enough!” Thunder, loud enough to shake the foundations of the bar, echoed overhead. Immediately Ororo had everyone’s attention. “Obviously there is a reason you’re here.” She directed her comment at Jean.

“Yes. It’s nearly dawn. You two are violating curfew.”

“Last I checked, I wasn’t an X-Man.” Ororo countered, her eyes still glowing white.

“You know the old saying, ‘live under my roof, obey my rules’,” Jean responded. Her green eyes softened. “Don’t make this a big issue. Let’s just go home.” She tugged Scott’s arm. “Please.”

Scott nodded once, his jaw set.

Ororo motioned towards the table. “Thanks for the night out,” she said. “I’ll return your dress as soon as I can,” she told Lorna.

“No worries.” Lorna’s eyes were only for Scott.

To Ali, who was coming back from the pool room at the crack of thunder Ororo told, “I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“You mean today.” Ali corrected, hugging her.

“Whatever. I’ll call you.”

Henry, relaxed as ever lifted his beer in salute. “Fare thee well beautiful wind-rider. Fare thee well.”

Unable to resist another beastly bear hug, Ororo opened her arms and laughed when he bounded into them. “Take care, Blue.”

“You too.” He kissed her nose. “Keep Scott out of trouble.”

“I’ll try,” she sighed dramatically. “But you know how those wild boys can be.”

“Don’t I ever.”

Another round of hearty goodbyes and the X-Men were headed out the door.

*What was that all about?* Jean mentally prodded, wondering the logic behind Scott’s attack.

“I don’t like the way he looks at Storm.” Scott didn’t bother to keep his response telepathic, or quite for that matter.

“You’ve never attacked him for looking at me,” she pointed out.

“There’s a difference.”

“How’s that?”

Scott paused in the parking lot. “He looks at you like a man in heat. He looks at her like a man possessed.



______________________________________________
AN: Next chapter is a steamy one, inspired by Rhaps...So, thanks in advance.
Just Before Dawn by windrider1
The Xavier Institute was pin drop quiet when the four of them returned from Boston. Of course, being that it was just before dawn, that wasn’t altogether surprising. Immediately upon arrival Jean had suggested they get to bed as Xavier was unlikely to grant them the privilege of sleeping in after breaking curfew. Ororo and Scott exchanged a brief hug and goodnight before going their separate ways.

However, not feeling particularly tired herself, Ororo chose to quietly wander the halls, her thoughts restless for reasons she didn’t dare delve into too deeply. After nearly thirty minutes of roaming, she ending up at last in the recreation room playing a less than rousing game of one man pool. Placing her stick against the wall, she stretched her arms over her head in an attempt to relieve the kink that had formed in her lower back aboard the X-Wing. She arched and groaned, unaware of the enticing display she made to the man directly behind her.

Logan cocked his head, his gaze blatantly sexual as he admired Ororo’s delectable backside. Long legged and full figured, Ororo was sensual perfection, unpretentiously confident in her own skin she exuded sexuality and femininity as naturally as she breathed.

A roll of sculpted shoulders flexed muscles along the dark caramel expanse of her bare back. A boxer back, Logan observed, a reflection of how in shape she truly was. She radiated strength along with her womanliness and that was exceedingly enticing for him.

Frailty was never a word one would use to describe Ororo Munroe.

The hairs on her neck were standing on end again, Ororo noticed with a barely repressed shiver. She fought down the urge to turn and look at Logan, knowing full well that he had to be nearby, and that he was looking at her with those predator eyes of his that seemed to see into her heart and knew every wicked fantasy she‘d ever had about him. She hated when he stared at her. A wry smirk twisted her lips at her hypocrisy. As bothered as she was by his scrutiny, it didn’t prevent her from looking at him every chance she got. Most days she couldn’t keep her eyes off of him. He was poetry in motion, she mused, not liking the clench in her gut at that thought.

Despite his gruff appearance, Logan moved with a fluid grace that was visually captivating to behold. Supple, sinewy muscles rippling beneath worn cotton and denim were enough to make any woman drool, and she was no exception. It was easy to understand what kept Jean going back to him, like the proverbial moth to the flame. No matter how dangerous, or unattainable, the lure of something so hot and bright was just too great to resist.

Ororo exhaled a shaky breath, his last words coming back to haunt her; Gonna fuck you soon. She could still feel his searing breath in her ear and the rumble of his chest as he spoke. This time she did shiver. It was no idle threat, she knew. Logan had every intention of following through on his prediction.

She dared a furtive glance over her shoulder and immediately wished she hadn’t. Dark eyes glinted like obsidian under the security lights, their hunger unmistakable, the intent in their depths undeniable. He stood almost casually, barefoot in the doorway, thick, hair covered arms crossed in front of him, his leather uniform removed in favor of a dark tee-shirt and faded blue jeans. His hair stood in constant disarray, tuft out at the sides in points that made a nice descent into thick sideburns that cradled a strong, determined jaw. Ever present whiskers kissed the line of that determined jaw unfailingly, no matter how often he shaved. Part of his healing factor, and part of his appeal. He was always so very male.

Quickly facing forward again, she placed her hands against the side of the pool table, trying to ignore the low, knowing, chuckle that emanated from behind her, setting her teeth on edge. She really hated his overabundance of confidence, she fumed; hell that wasn’t even the right term, the man was damn cocky, plain and simple. Grudgingly, she supposed that when a man is referred to as “the best there is at what he does” it would inevitably produce a certain amount of justifiable arrogance in him. Didn’t mean she had to like it, though, or succumb to it. She was no simpering female that would fall at his feet like a lovesick puppy. She was her own woman, damn it. She had control, not him.

Distracted by her thoughts Ororo was caught off guard when silent as a cat he stalked up behind her, his breath tickling the back of her ear, making her jump. “Logan,” his name was a startled whisper, but beneath the surprise lay a hint of welcome that Ororo would deny to her grave.

Logan, however, had heard it and it made him smile into her hair. Her scent had beckoned him closer, and before he himself realized exactly what he was doing, his face was buried in the slender column of her neck against the silken thickness of her hair. She was impossible to resist. He pushed aside the wayward thought that maybe Scooter was onto something with his ridiculous statement that he looked at Ororo like a man possessed. He wanted to fuck her. No more, no less.

Her pulse increased frantically, the thrum of it making his ears twitch. A sound welled in his throat, caught somewhere between groan and growl. Yeah right, Bub.

Ororo felt the warmth of his breath on her skin, heard the uneven rasp of his breathing as he inhaled and exhaled against her hair and despite her initial pep talk she felt her body clench in expectation, her entire being focused on the warm hands cradling her hips and the mouth just below her earlobe. She could feel his arousal pressed against her back and the knowledge of his excitement made her feel hot and needy with such intensity that it scared her death.

She gasped when she felt the sweeping caress of his tongue against her skin. The short stubble on his face grazed her cheek as he nuzzled her. “Stop.” She managed to strangle the word out, but it held no real weight.

His mouth moved up to her ear. Hot and heavy his body and voice consumed her. “Say it like you mean it, and I will.”

Ororo shuddered, his voice a hypnotic scratch of velvet against her skin. Her head fell back against his shoulder, unwittingly exposing more flesh for him to sample. His teeth scraped skin as his kisses became more aggressive, his appetite insatiable it seemed. His fingers impatiently pushed aside her snowy tresses and the strap of her borrowed dress so that he could nip her shoulder.

Ororo blinked, drawing a deep, faltering breath. She concentrated on regaining her apparently lost senses, focusing on the billiard balls atop the felt table as though their haphazard pattern held the answers to all the mysteries of the universe. She felt Logan’s fingers tighten against the curve of her hips and she bit back a moan.Concentrate, she yelled at herself.

Logan pressed closer, his hands wandering up over her ribcage to cup her heavy breasts through red and black satin. He growled, feeling her nipples harden beneath his palms. “It’s time, ‘Roro,” he growled, grinding against her delicious backside.

The hem of her skirt was lifted, the cool draft and his self assured tone bringing Ororo up short. He sounded so smug, so unquestioningly certain that he could just bend her over the pool table and have his way with her and she would welcome it, that she wanted to slap him. She glared, her sapphire eyes momentarily flashing white. Arrogant, chauvinistic troglodyte needed to be brought down a peg or two.

Slowly, but assertively, she pressed her backside into his crotch, clasping his hands with her own, holding him. “You think so?” she whispered, her voice aching with want, a fact that she made no effort to hide. “Right here?” She bent forward, spreading her legs so that he molded perfectly into her from behind. “Like this?” She tossed him a smoldering look over her shoulder. “Or better yet…” She twisted herself so that she was facing him. She placed her hands on his shoulders, lifting herself onto the edge of the pool table, one leg hooking him around the waist, pulling him in. “Like this.”

Logan growled around a dark chuckle. “Anyway you want it, darlin’.”

“Mmmm.” Ororo tilted her head, her eyes sparking with inner fire. “Anyway I want it?”

“Anyway.“ He confirmed, lowering his head towards hers, his eyes heavy lidded, but she turned her face, preventing their lips from meeting. Undeterred Logan caught the tender flesh of her ear between his teeth, nipping. “So, what do ya want?”

“Touch me,” she commanded, moving his hand and placing it beneath the ruffle of her skirt, between her thighs and rolling her hips. Let him think he’d won, she thought, then dismiss him before things went anywhere. That would show him that not all women were slaves to his charisma. At least that was the idea, but she immediately had second thoughts about the wisdom of toying with Wolverine in the breath halting moment that she felt the press of his blunt fingers against the sensitive juncture between her thighs.

“Christ.” Logan groaned, feeling her damp heat through her lacy underwear. She curved her knee, drawing him closer. “Wet.” He rubbed the thin fabric harder, making her arch and moan. His lips drew back against his teeth, an edgy, hurried heat taking him over. Something primal was rising from deep inside. Dark and dangerous, it filtered through his blood. It was so unexpected that he shook with it.

Feeling him tremble, Ororo grinned victoriously, pressing closer. He wasn‘t so slick after all. “Still think you can handle me?” She questioned deprecatingly, her hips rocking against his probing fingers.

His returning feral grin should have had her running from the room, but she found that her legs refused to do anything other than hold him against the pool table. His harsh features, though never considered traditionally handsome, seemed carved from stone, making him all the more aggressive looking.

Maintaining focus was becoming complicated, the shivers of pure pleasure coursing through her as his thumb found her clit and circled it with practiced skill making it hard to think.

“Do you tease a lot of women this way, Logan?” she panted, still trying to hold onto her control. “Is this the best foreplay you’ve got?”

Instead of vocalizing a response to her taunt Logan tore away her underwear, thrusting two fingers deep inside her hot, wet center, making her gasp.

Ororo cried out, her body clenching around his digits in a combination of ecstasy and pain. With borderline violence he shoved her back across the table, knocking clacking billiards aside with a frantic sweep of his arm. He loomed over her, his face drawn tight with almost sinister desire as he parted her slick folds, plunging his fingers over and over, deeper and deeper, faster and faster.

Ororo’s hips rose demandingly from the table, meeting his aggression head on, craving it in ways she never would have thought possible. Her mouth parted as she grunted and moaned erratically. She closed her eyes. Dear God in heaven the man knew how to work a girl! Of their own accord her legs parted wider, giving him total access and dominion.

She was damn near crazed with wanting. She no longer cared about teaching him a lesson, all she wanted was to feel him inside of her. Hot, hard, filling her up. She made a noise that sounded curiously like a growl as she pulled his head down to hers by gripping fistfuls of his hair. Their lips met and mashed, tongues battling for domination with neither willing to give an inch. The taste of blood entered her mouth and she knew her lip was split, but she didn’t care. She snapped her teeth together, catching his bottom lip and tugging none too gently.

“Smell so good,” Logan ground out, lifting his mouth reluctantly from hers. His hand traced the line of her neck, covering one breast and pinching the extended nipple, rolling it between his thumb and forefinger. He was so hard he felt like he was going to bust through his jeans. Never in his life had he wanted anyone like he wanted the writhing woman on the pool table. With black silk underwear torn, her scarlet dress shoved to her waist, her eyes glazed with passion and her lips bloody and swollen she was the glorious embodiment of ravishment.

Control was slipping through her fingers, Ororo thought desperately. She had wanted to tease him, give him a killer case of blue balls and leave him there in the rec room, but so far all she had succeeded in doing was getting herself thoroughly felt up and loving every minute of it. It wasn’t too late to call it a night and lesson learned, she thought. Never mess with a Wolverine. Ok, got it.

Before anymore rational thoughts had a chance to enter her head, Logan bent his head low, his tongue flicking across her exposed clit in broad strokes as his hand continuously drove forward. Ororo nearly screamed, sitting up hurriedly, grasping him frantically. She reached over his shoulders, yanking his tee-shirt up his back, her nails scoring his flesh in deep grooves, drawing blood.

The snarl that came from him was pure animal.

Wincing against the erotic sting of her nails and teeth, Logan gripped the firm globes of her ass in his hands, jerking her against the aching bulge in his jeans. “I wanna fuckin’ tear you apart.” His expression was savage, uncontrolled and sent ripples of desire through her body, pooling in her stomach and below.

This wasn’t what she had intended at all. In fact the look on his face should have terrified her. He looked like he meant exactly what he said. She should stop this…

She fumbled for his belt, her hands clumsy in her haste. She rubbed against his bulge wantonly, nearly whimpering. Where was that self controlled woman now, huh? The one that wouldn’t fall to his feet like a lovesick puppy? Her mind asked to which her body screamed shut the hell up!

She gave a broken cry of relief when she felt the belt give way. She jerked his pants open, her hand closing around his thick erection, already jutting towards her, begging for her attention.

Logan stiffened, intense fire overwhelming him at the first touch of her hand. “Christ,” he grit his teeth, but it was too late. His hips bucked uncontrollably, the pleasure too intense. “Fuck, fuck, fuuuuck.” He gripped her head, holding her tightly against his shoulder as he shuddered, coming in forceful spurts. “Jesus fuckin’ Christ, ‘Ro,” he gasped.

Shocked, Ororo blinked rapidly. Had what she thought just happened, happened? She felt the rock hardness of Logan’s cock, still gripped in her hand, slowly begin to ebb, and a telltale warm fluid on her palm. Yup, it had. Ororo’s laugh was unexpected, but once she started she couldn’t stop. What he would think of as her mocking him was actually her near hysterical gratefulness at her reprieve. She had been so unbelievably close to succumbing and giving herself to him without thought to the consequences or the morning. In a few short minutes Logan had, with terrifying ease, stripped her of her precious control and nearly all of her defenses. Her laughter was not one of amusement, but of relief.

Logan went rigid, absolutely still, stunned at what had just transpired. Never in his life could he remember that ever happening to him. He pulled away from Ororo slightly, who was not even trying to contain her amusement at his blunder. Her throaty laugh provoked his anger. His brows dropped into an angry scowl that was echoed with a growl from his throat.

“Oh, my god. Priceless.” Ororo detangled herself from his half hearted embrace. She hopped from the pool table, removing her torn underwear from her ankle with a graceful swoop. “Here.” She tucked them into the front pocket of his jeans. “Souvenir.” She patted his back as she sashayed past, the smile on her face eating at him, but he didn’t try to stop her. In fact he didn’t say a word, just buttoned his pants and turned his back on her, trying to regain his composure, though to her it looked like he was dismissing her.

Her feign of cool indifference lasted only until she reached the hallway where she broke into a run, sprinting for the stairs up to her room. She slammed the door behind her, turning the lock hastily with trembling fingers. She pressed her back to the cool wood, her hands covering her mouth as her eyes welled with tears. She was shaking forcefully, her teeth chattering. She took a ragged breath, sinking to the floor, drawing her knees up to her chest. Her breathing was labored, laced with panic.

Her skin felt alive, still crawling with the heat of his touch. She made a sound of distress, trying desperately to calm her frayed nerves, rubbing her hands up and down on her gooseflesh covered arms. She wanted him. That was no mystery, she had wanted him for awhile. But what she hadn’t wanted was the intensity of longing she felt now, a desire so violent that it was all consuming, like a sleeping demon awakened by fire it raged in her. She not only wanted him, she craved him.

Thunder rolled across the graying sky, torrential rain slapping the windows. She jumped when she heard a knock on her door, her heart in her throat. Had he followed her? She couldn’t face him now, she was too raw, too close to the edge. She made no effort to get up, afraid to move.

“Storm? Are you okay?”

Scott. Ororo scrambled to her feet, wiping her eyes. She took a steadying breath, adjusting her skirt before opening the door. “Hey,” she attempted a smile, but it came up miles short.

One look at Ororo’s wide eyes, the smudges of mascara beneath them and her bruised lips Scott swore violently. “I’m going to fucking kill him.”

Ororo reached out, grabbing his shoulder when he turned from her door, apparently with said objective in mind. “Scott, don’t. Nothing happened.”

Slowly he swiveled his head, facing her. It was amazing how intimidating he could appear with his eyes shrouded behind the blood red lenses of his sleep visor. “He hurt you.” It was a flat statement not requiring her to respond.

Fleetingly Ororo touched her lips. “No.” She denied softly, shaking her head. At least not any more than I wanted him to. That part she kept inside.

He looked like he wanted to press the issue, but didn’t, respectful of her obvious discomfort with the topic. “You sure you’re all right?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, goodnight then.”

For the first time Ororo noticed the pillow gripped in hand and blanket draped over his left shoulder. She raised a questioning brow.

Scott shrugged. “I was on my way to the garage when I heard the thunder.”

Funny, she thought, how most people never associated the garage with Scott, but the truth was he spent just as much, if not more, time in the adjacent building as Logan did. So much so that Xavier that had commissioned a small apartment to be built over the main garage, ensuring that Scott had a place to sleep on the nights he worked obscenely late on the bikes, as was his passion, or the old cars that he liked to tinker with.

“Trouble with Jean?” Ororo asked.

He shook his head, a tick in his jaw. “Don’t feel like talking about it.”

“Okay.” She squeezed his shoulder. Then, “You want some company?”

“You know, I think I do.”

Ororo was relieved. She hadn’t realized how distraught she truly was until she had someone with her. She really didn’t want to be alone with her thoughts about Logan and the way he made her feel.

Scott waited patiently for her while she went into her bathroom to wash her face and slip on her pajama pants and top. She grabbed her toothbrush and deodorant. She held them up like little trophies when she emerged. “So I won’t gag you in the morning with my stink.”

Scott chuckled. “You never stink. I think that may be your true mutant power. The stinkless woman.”

Ororo laughed, lifting her arm. “Halt, villain. I shall stop you with my armpits of roses!”

Scott smiled in return, holding the door for her. For both of them, it felt good not be alone.

~XXX~


The garage apartment was small, but very cozy. A recliner, small table, mini-fridge, microwave and twin size bed were all placed about the room. Odds and ends from different automobiles were in assorted piles on a small counter that ran the length of the room, giving credence to Ororo’s belief that Scott never stopped working.

She felt a small smile form as she rolled a cutaway section from an exhaust pipe in her hands. She once found reliability to be a trait for the boring and mundane, she now found it to be oddly comforting.

Scott shook out the blanket he had been carrying, tossing it and the pillow onto the bed. He moved to where she was standing, her fingers absently moving over the auto bits, the need to do anything other than be still and think making her edgy.

“Hey.” Warm, strong hands clasped her shoulders.

She stared at his chest, tense.

“Storm.” Fingers trailed her hair, cupping her cheek, tilting her head so that she had to look him in the face. They stood that way for a long minute, uncertainty warring between them. Slowly Scott lowered his head, his mouth covering hers.

Ororo closed her eyes, letting herself enjoy the smooth feel of Scott’s cheek beneath her own hands, the warmth of his lips, the strength of his arms, not bothering with any self deprecating thoughts, even though not twenty minutes ago she had been kissing Logan with mad passion and frantic intensity.

The kiss between her and Scott, however, was unhurried, tentative, and exploratory. Gradually they parted, still holding each other by the arms.

Scott was the first to speak. “Damn it. Nothing.”

Ororo grinned, feeling warm relief and some of her tension ease. “Me either.”

He sighed over dramatically, “Well now that that awkwardness is out of the way, we can relax, knowing that neither one of us is harboring lustful intentions.”

“Nope, no lustful intentions here. It was nice though,” she assured him. And it had been one of the better kisses she’d ever gotten, but the passion in her blood was apparently for one man, and one man only.

“Definitely nice,” he agreed with a nod. He stretched, yawning. “Well, now that I know for certain that you don’t want me for my body, I feel no shame in wearing my Snoopy boxers.”

Ororo snorted. “You’re a pretty funny guy, Summers.”

“I’m a pretty tired guy,” he yawned again.

Scott flicked the light before he pulled the blanket back getting into the bed and scooting towards the wall, leaving a space for her. Ororo smiled gently, sliding in beside him, squirming until she was comfortable, resting her head on his smooth chest.

Scott dropped his hand over her shoulder, the tips of his fingers making abstract little circles on her skin. They lay in the dark for awhile, both silent, but neither sleeping, when he asked quietly, “What is it about him?”

Ororo needed no clarification, nor did she pretend to. “I don’t know,” she whispered.

“Is it the bad boy thing? Wanting to be the one to tame him?”

“Maybe for some people, that’s his appeal.”

“But not you, eh? No desire to tame the wild Wolverine?”

“No,” she said, reflecting for a moment on her feelings. “I don’t want to tame him.” She wanted him wild and savage and all the things that he really was, completely unrestrained and for her and only her. She shook her head, clearing the disturbing thoughts and visuals that made her heart accelerate.

“He wants you, you know.” He told her.

“I know.”

“But that isn’t enough for you, is it?”

“No,” she smiled with a hint of sadness. “A dear friend reminded me that sometimes romance and ideals are not such bad things.”

Ororo shifted, crossing her arms across Scott’s chest so that they faced one another. “Is Wolverine who you and Jean fought about?”

His mouth twisted bitterly. “What do you think?” He sighed. “She wanted me to apologize for punching him.”

Ororo couldn’t help the smile that spread across her face. “It was a good hit.” She tilted her head. “You surprised me.”

“Surprised me too,” he admitted. “I think she loves him.”

Try as she might Ororo couldn’t help the prick of jealousy she felt, but overlaying that was a deep sadness for her friend. She remembered his words from earlier. She loves me. She uses him. That was his safety, his security. What made it bearable to know that the woman he loved was with another man was believing that she harbored no feelings for Wolverine. For him to believe otherwise would destroy him, or at the very least end their relationship.

“Scott--”

“It’s alright, Storm.” He tried to reassure her, but his voice broke. He cleared his throat.

Knowing that words were ineffectual means of comfort, Ororo pulled him closer, hugging him. “You deserve someone that will love you for you, and only you.”

“I had that once,” he said quietly.

“Lorna?”

“Yeah.” He laughed bitterly. “I didn’t see it then, because I was so wrapped up in thinking about all of the limitations my mutant power put on me, that I felt restricted, limited and confined. I didn’t want to do that to her.”

“So you set her free, as I recall.”

Scott was surprised. “She talked to you about us?”

“Yes.”

A weighty pause filled the space in conversation. “She looked good,” he said after a time.

“Damn good,” Ororo confirmed.

“I still love her.”

Ororo knew he wasn’t referring to Lorna. “I know.”

“I don’t think it will ever stop. Sometimes I wish I could make it stop, so then I wouldn‘t hurt so much.”

Ororo closed her eyes, wishing she had more answers to give him.

“I’m tired.” He sounded worn and weary.

“Go to sleep, Scott.” She brushed his hair from his forehead tenderly.

“Yeah. Tomorrow’s a whole new day. Thanks for listening.”

“Thanks for coming to check on me.”

“That’s what friends do.” He yawned, his voice fading. “They look out…for one another…”

~XXX~


Standing in the driveway, soaked to his skin, Logan’s feet refused to move, keeping him rooted to the spot, despite his ardent desire to look away as the shadowed silhouettes in the upstairs window moved closer, pressed tighter and ultimately kissed.

His immediate reaction was rage. Mind numbing, hazy red, familiar, rage. However, completely catching him off guard was the sharp pang of desolation he had felt seeing Ororo in Scooter’s arms.

Had his keen hearing not picked up the words immediately following that kiss, he knew without a doubt that he would have killed Scott. However, hearing that neither of the pair had any real desire for one another had prevented him from eviscerating the boy scout.

How any man could kiss ‘Ro and not want her more than anything on the planet was beyond him, but he wasn’t going to debate the issue or encourage Scott to try again and make sure.

He’d fucked up bad with ‘Ro and he knew it. What he didn’t know was how to make it right. But he was damn sure going to try. Just those few moments in the rec room had devastated his senses, put him on overdrive and taken him to places he’d never been before. She was in his blood now, and he wasn’t sure he ever wanted her out.

The downpour slowed to a drizzle, telling him that she was falling asleep. With Scooter. His teeth bared. Knowing that they were only friends did not entirely extinguish the flames of jealousy in the pit of his gut. He pulled a cigar from his pocket, watching the sunrise. “A whole new day,” he repeated, determination coloring his words. Ororo was his. She just didn’t know it yet.
Ignition by windrider1
Ororo groaned miserably, her hands groping blindly for the blanket to pull over her head in a futile attempt to block out the bright morning sunshine streaming into the room. She muttered a series of grumbled, less than ladylike, phrases into the fluff of her pillow. After the turbulent events of the previous evening she was not in the mood to face the morning just yet.

The sound of heavy footsteps on the stairs along with the aroma of eggs and bacon tempted her to peer her eyes over the edge of the quilt, however. Scott, across the room, was quietly closing the door behind him, already dressed for the day in a pair of dark tan khaki shorts and red Nike tee-shirt, fresh from the shower. “Good morning, sunshine,” he said with a smile when he noticed her bleary eyes.

“If you say so,” she mumbled, tousling her sleep mussed hair as she sat up fully. She yawned loudly, stretching her arms over her head. “What time is it?”

“A little after 9.” Scott maneuvered around the counter, revealing a small tray laden with an abundance of steaming food. He placed it on the table, saying, “I didn’t know how you wanted your eggs, so I just scrambled them. Hope that’s alright.”

Ororo, stomach rumbling voraciously, rose and made her way to the table, where pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, orange slices and coffee all begged to be eaten. She picked up an orange slice biting it with relish. “You made all this?”

“Yeah, went up to the main house a little while ago, figured you’d be hungry.” He went to the small cupboard and pulled out two mugs. “You like your coffee black, right?”

“Uh-huh.” Ororo shook her head, a wry smile on her face. “Lemme see if I got this straight; you’re gorgeous, intelligent, unfailingly loyal, a dynamite kisser and you can cook?” She gave him an incredulous look.

Scott flushed slightly but chuckled good naturedly. “Uhm, yeah, I guess.”

Ororo dropped to one knee, quickly grasping his hand between her two. “Scott Summers will you marry me?”

A throat being cleared loudly interrupted the duo before he could respond. They both turned towards the door where Jean stood, looking uncertain, displeased and jealous all at the same time. Her emerald eyes flicked over Ororo’s kneeled form, taking in the fact that she was wearing her pajamas and had obviously just awoken.

Ororo stood, meeting Jean’s gaze directly. “Morning, Jean.”

“Hello, Storm.” Jean’s voice was anything but welcoming. “What are you doing here?”

“Proposing.” She grinned broadly.

Jean didn’t appear amused. “Did you sleep here?” she demanded.

Ororo, still holding Scott’s hand, laughed throatily. “I wouldn’t call it sleeping exactly, but this is where I spent the night, yes.” She tried not to laugh out loud when she felt Scott’s warning squeeze on her fingers before he released her hand.

“What is it you need, Jean?” Scott asked idly, pulling out a chair for Ororo.

Jean appeared momentarily flustered at his blasé attitude.

“Jean?” He pressed.

“The Professor would like to meet with you.” She blurted, directing her attention fully on Scott. “In his office.”

“’Kay.” Scott took the seat across from Storm, helping himself to the stack of pancakes. He motioned for Ororo to pass him the syrup, which she did, licking the stickiness from her fingers.

Jean stood motionless for another minute, watching as both Scott and Ororo continued to eat as if she wasn’t even there. “Now.” She added almost as an afterthought.

Scott sighed, folding his napkin over his lap. “I’m sure it can wait until I have finished eating.”

“But”“

“Growing boy, needs food, shoo.” Ororo motioned with her hands.

Jean’s eyes snapped angrily. Had Storm just shooed her? Away from her own boyfriend?

*Scott*

Knowing Jean as well as he did, Scott knew she wasn’t going to leave without him in tow. He took another bite of sausage, slowly chewing, before standing and tossing his napkin onto his plate. He gave Storm an apologetic glance, which she brushed off with a warm smile; letting him know without words that she would be around if he needed her.

“After you,” he ushered Jean towards the door.

“Oh, Scott,” Ororo called after him, lifting her cup of coffee to hide her impish smirk. He paused, as did Jean, in the open doorway. “I’m doing laundry later today; if you want I can wash your Snoopies.”

Jean’s outraged gasp was cut off as Scott closed the door, but not before shooting Ororo a look that promised retribution from behind his visor.

Ororo shoveled another forkful of pancake into her mouth, her eyes on the napkin on Scott’s plate. His crumpled napkin. She grinned. The boy was making progress. Happily she continued to eat, humming as she did.

~XXX~


Scott’s shoulders ached from standing so ramrod straight. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He was in Professor Xavier’s main floor office, being reprimanded for skipping out on curfew, which he had expected, with Jean in the room, which he had not, with the Professor waiting patiently with steepled fingers for Scott to respond to his last statement.

“You want me to stop being friends with Storm?” Cyclops repeated, his voice dull.

Xavier sighed, flexing his fingers. “It is not the friendship itself that I have issue with, but it is her influence on you that causes concern.”

Scott’s jaw tightened.

Sensing his young student’s rising ire, Xavier said soothingly, “Scott you are a responsible, reliable young man, and strong leader. You, yourself must admit that staying out all night, at a bar none the less, is severely out of character for you.”

Scott turned towards Jean who was staring at her feet, abnormally quiet. She refused to meet his stare. He turned back to the Professor. “This is ridiculous.”

Jean’s head snapped up. “Scott, come on. You are not the type of guy that runs off in the middle of the day and just shrugs off your responsibilities. You never have been.”

“That’s right. And I didn’t do that yesterday either. We were given the day off,” he reminded her.

“Yes, but curfew”“

“Is for children. I am a twenty-four year old man.” He once more addressed Xavier, “Professor, I am more than capable of looking after myself. Obviously you think so too, or you would not put me in charge of the X-Men.”

Xavier’s eyes sharpened. “And it is due t that responsibility to the team that you can not allow yourself to be corrupted.”

Scott spoke with his familiar calm conviction. “With all due respect, sir, I fail to see how my friendship with Storm is any more likely to corrupt me than, let’s say, living in and working for a school funded by dirty money.”

Xavier sat back in his chair, clearly startled by Scott’s rebuttal. “Son, I feel it prudent to remind you that I am the founder of this school, of the X-Men, and the sole person that you must answer to. I should not need to remind you that I can make you abide by my rules with a mere thought.”

Jean’s eyes widened. Scott’s narrowed behind his lenses.

“And I should not need to remind you that I can take your head clean off your shoulders with my optic blast. You were the one that told me that as X-Men our powers were never to be used against one another, that it was up to us to set a better example, to teach a better way. So, which Professor Xavier is the real one? The one willing to sacrifice and work for a dream, or the one willing to manipulate his students minds into submission when they fail to see his way as the only way?”

Tense silence filled the Headmaster’s Office as Xavier and Scott stared one another down. When Scott refused to bend Xavier asked, “Is she worth risking your leadership position over?”

Scott glanced at Jean, wavering for only a second, then, “Yes.”

“She means that much to you, then?”

Again, “Yes.”

“Why?” That was Jean.

Scott exhaled. “Because she does.”

“I think it would be beneficial to this conversation if you were to more completely answer Jean, Scott. She is, after all, the woman you have professed to love above all others. Is that now untrue?”

“That is between Jean and me, Professor. No one else.”

“Normally, I would agree, however, your personal relationship problems seem to be affecting your better judgment. Perhaps if you and Jean worked out the issues you two are having, then you would no longer feel the need to cling so tightly to the pseudo-bond you’ve forged with Ororo.”

Jean stepped forward, her eyes luminous with unshed tears. “You don’t need her, Scott. You have me. If you need someone to talk to…I’m here.” She reached for his hands.

Scott’s gut clenched with intense longing. Why? Why did she have to be so damn beautiful? So achingly perfect to him? He closed his eyes, wishing he could make the pain and love just stop so that maybe just maybe he could think straight.

Xavier rolled back away from the desk. “I’ll leave you two to talk.”

“Wait.” Scott halted him. “What about Storm?”

Xavier frowned, his expression nearly unreadable. “I am uncertain as to what to do about Storm. She has changed much since she was with us last.”

“She’s always been a bit wild,” Jean said. “Her past is shadier than any of ours.”

“True,” Xavier murmured thoughtfully.

“Storm is no more wild and far less shady than Wolverine. If he’s a welcome member of the X-Men, then I fail to see why Storm wouldn’t be as well.” Scott interjected.

“Also true.” The Professor mulled. “Do you truly believe that Storm can be relied upon, trusted, and a team player once again?”

“More than Wolverine can be.” Scott verified.

“Very well.” Charles acknowledged. “The reason I made you leader, Cyclops, was because you showed tremendous strength of character and sound judgment. I will trust you now in this. You have given me some important issues to think on.”

“After what she did for us and SHIELD, how could you think anything else?” Scott asked aloud.

“They say leopards don’t change their spots,” Jean murmured.

Scott frowned. “Yes, that‘s what they say.” He removed his hands from hers. “Some things never change.” He nodded towards the Professor. “If we are finished here, I have Danger Room scenarios that need run through.”

“See to it, then.” Charles agreed. Scott nodded, leaving the office.

Jean caught up with him in the hall. “Wait, Scott.”

He turned. “What?”

She slowed her jog, stopping beside him. “Don’t you think we should talk?”

“About what?”

“About us.”

His voice was hard. “Is there even an ‘us’ to talk about anymore, Jean?”

Her face crumpled. “Oh, God, Scott, don’t say that.”

His gut twisted. He loved her so damn much. No matter what, it seemed, he loved her. “Don’t cry.” Internally wishing he had more reserve, he reached for her.

With her face buried in the crook of Scott’s neck Jean smiled.

~XXX~


Ororo took two steps back out of her bedroom, scanning the hallway both ways before stepping back through the threshold, her mouth parted in confusion and silent wonder. Roses, of every shade, littered her room. On her bureau, on her bed, on her vanity, everywhere. She reached her dresser, lifting a blood red rose from it’s crystal vase container, stroking the satin petals. She closed her eyes, inhaling the sweet scent.

Gently she returned the delicate flower back to its vase. Hesitantly she approached her bed where atop it a long, wrapped white box lay. She chewed her thumbnail absently, wondering if she should open it. Chances were there was some screw-up and the flowers and gift were for one of the other girls.

To hell with it, she thought, plopping onto the mattress, scattering rose petals as she tore into the paper. It was a garment box, she noted, shaking it loose and opening the lid. “Oh, wow….” Laying atop a bed of white tissue paper was a lovely peaches and cream gossamer silk dress. Ororo removed it reverently, letting the billowy material brush against her arms as she did. It was so soft it felt like liquid against her skin. She pressed it close, standing and twirling in a circle, feeling suddenly very girly.

She was reluctant to let the dress go, but she did, laying it back across the box. As she did she noticed a small cardboard note attached to the hastily torn away paper. She peeled it off, reading and then rereading the masculine scrawl.

To replace the dress I ruined.

-Logan.


Ororo’s fingers trembled. She gazed about her room, her earlier wonderment dwarfed by the realization that Logan, the Wolverine, was the person responsible for the flowers and stunning and obviously expensive dress in her room. She pressed her hand to her mouth dazedly. She tried to shake off the giddy warmth flowering in the pit of her stomach, but she couldn’t. The idea of him taking the time to arrange the flowers and leave her a note was beyond anything she would have believed him capable of.

She touched the silky-smooth fabric of the dress again, letting out a soft sigh. It was quite honestly the most lovely garment she’d ever seen. She shouldn’t accept it, however, it wouldn’t be right to take such an expensive gift. And besides, technically it had been Lorna’s dress that had sustained the damage. Even more pertinent than that was the question of what he would expect of her should she accept his gift. What signal would she be sending to him? That she would accept his advances as well? With a resigned sigh she closed the box with the dress still inside.

With one last look at the box on her bed she headed out to find Logan and tell him she couldn’t accept the dress as a gift or a peace offering, or anything else it was meant to be. The kitchen and halls were empty when Ororo strode through the mansion. It wasn’t until she reached the main living area that she ran across anyone in the large estate. “Hey, Kitty.” She greeted the younger X-woman who was channel surfing lazily on the couch.

The petite brunette briefly smiled at her, her goldfish-like teenage attention quickly caught and diverted by a fleshy chest on MTV. “Hey, Storm.”

Ororo too paused, glancing at the male specimen on the tube, mentally disapproving the smooth, baby oiled chest. She preferred dark hair covered broad pecs and thick biceps that exuded power and possession. Instantaneously flustered she asked hurriedly, “You seen Wolverine?”

“Uhn-uh. Why?”

“No reason.” So I can tear his clothes off with my teeth. Ororo couldn‘t quite curb that thought before it surfaced, making her feel flushed. “Ok, well, if you see him, tell him I was looking for him.”

“Sure, sure.” Kitty waved a hand vaguely, her eyes glued to the television.

Twenty minutes and four more rooms later Warren finally told her where Logan had gone. “Wolverine and Colossus had a mission. Some drug runners to take down, I think. They should be home by dinner.”

Ororo, feeling frustrated, returned to her room, where, once behind her closed door, she alternating between pacing and staring at the garment box. Normally not a girl that put any stock into material things her immediate fondness and want of the peaches and cream ensemble had more to do with the man who had left it for her than the dress itself, she reluctantly admitted. The idea of wearing it, feeling the cool silk against her skin, and knowing that it was Logan that had given it to her, well, honestly it made her blood feel heavy.

She really shouldn’t accept it…should she? If she did accept it would he think he’d somehow won one over on her? Would he feel vindicated and ignore her? What?

A sharp rap at her door broke the silence of her room.

Startled, she whirled towards the door, breathing a relieved, “Hi,” when she saw who it was.

“Hey there.” Scott pushed open the door. He stopped, taking in all the flowers. “Wow. What happened in here?”

“You wouldn‘t believe me if I told you,” Ororo wrinkled her nose. She moved the box aside and motioned for him to sit. “So, how bad was Xavier?”

Scott rubbed the back of his neck, not meeting her eyes as he lowered himself beside her. He sighed heavily.

“Ouch. That bad? What’d he do? Garbage detail for a week? Upped your fiber intake? Tell me.”

He shrugged. “The Professor told me I couldn’t be friends with you anymore.”

Ororo blinked, momentarily dumbfounded. “Are you serious?”

“Yes.”

“Oh.” She didn’t really know what to say to that. The X-Men were everything to Cyclops and Xavier was his mentor. She could only assume that he would follow the orders he was given. “Well, it’s been fun.” She tried to smile, but couldn’t. It really hurt, the idea of losing Scott.

He scooted up next to her. “Storm.”

“Hey, I understand,” she turned her face away, her back stiff. “I do, really.”

A strong hand tugged her arm. “Storm.” I told him I wouldn’t give you up.”

Ororo swiveled around, taken aback. “What?”

A rueful smile curved his lips. “Turns out I kind of like having you in my life.”

Ororo felt the sting of tears in her eyes but she quickly blinked them away. “I like being in your life too, Scott, but I don‘t want to create a hardship for you though.”

“Glad to hear it, because the real hardship would be giving up the best friend I‘ve ever had.” He leaned back, letting the moment evaporate. “So, you want to tell me what’s up with all these flowers?”

Ororo, taking his cue that the former conversation was over, answered with a blush. “They’re from Wolverine.”

He gaped, not bothering to hide his disbelief. “You’re kidding.”

She shook her head, biting her lower lip. “Nope.”

Scott whistled. “You were right, I don’t believe it.” He took in the array of exquisite roses, mildly shocked that Wolverine had it in him. It was hard to picture the growly Canadian with the perpetual chip on his shoulder and abrasive attitude buying several dozen roses, much less arranging them around Ororo’s bedroom.

“That’s not all.” Ororo said softly, interrupting his thoughts.

Scott lifted a brow. “There’s more?”

She flipped open the garment box, showing him the dress within, her appreciation for the design radiating from her.

“Try it on,” he encouraged.

“I shouldn’t.” Longing was evident in her voice.

“Why not?”

“I can’t keep this,” she rationalized, her fingers plucking at the sheer material.

“Why not?” he repeated.

“Because.” She floundered. Why couldn’t she keep it again? Oh, yeah, wearing the dress was like giving Logan permission to come onto her, telling him that she welcomed his advances. She explained as much to Scott. She left out how very much she wanted his advances, but wanted them to mean something aside from the desire to screw her sideways, but she should have known Scott would see it.

He watched her face carefully as she spoke. “Uh-oh.”

“What?” Ororo shifted position, still cradling the dress to her torso.

“You have it bad.” Scott observed.

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Shut up.”

“See.”

Ororo groaned, scrunching her hair in her hands in an exaggerated pulling out motion. “The man makes me crazy.”

“I hear you there.” Scott said empathetically. “Pisses me right the hell off most days.”

“Yeah.” Ororo nodded enthusiastically. “He’s so arrogant.”

“Grouchy.”

“Temperamental.”

“Violent.”

“Moody.”

“Insubordinate.”

“Sexy.” That one slipped out before she could stop it.

“Oh yeah, very hot.” Scott rolled his eyes.

Ororo blushed to her roots. “Jesus, I’m in so much trouble.”

Scott’s humor faded as he studied her face. “You really do have it bad, don’t you.”

“Oh yeah.” She didn’t bother to deny it again.

“Sorry.” He said with genuine sympathy.

Ororo sighed, leaning against him for a hug. “Yeah, me too. Life would be so much easier if you and I could hook up.”

“Yeah.” He kissed her forehead. “It’s too bad we like each other so darn much. Maybe if you were a bigger bitch, then we wouldn’t have become such close friends. I blame you.”

“You’re a big help.” She grumbled.

He chucked her under her chin lightly. “Look, I’ve known Wolverine for awhile now, and I can honestly say no one gets under his skin like you do. I’m not real sure that’s a good thing, but the way I see it is that if you both make each other nuts, then there has to be something there, right. Maybe something worth checking into.”

Ororo’s mouth dropped. “Scott Summers, are you actually encouraging me to try and snag myself a Wolverine?”

“No.” He clarified. “I’m telling you to do what makes you happy.”

“But you just agreed he makes me crazy.”

“Storm, sometimes I think that maybe for you crazy is happy.”

She snorted derisively. “You’re an ass, Summers.”

“I know.”

“You just want me to bang him so your girlfriend wo--” Instantly she cringed. “Oh, my God, Scott, I didn’t mean that.”

He tried to shrug it off. The hurt was evident, however, in the stubborn set of his jaw.

She leaned back, looking up at him, imploring. “I mean it, I’m sorry about that.”

He nodded. “It’s ok.”

“No, no it isn’t.” She felt like such a shit. “I’m so sorry.”

“Storm, stop coddling me.”

“Ok.” She held up her hands, recognizing an order when she heard one.

He nudged her towards the bathroom. “Now, go put on the dress. I want to see.”

She nodded, disappearing into the adjacent room. She came out a moment later, twirling in a circle. “Well?” The dress hung on her as if it had been made specifically for her. The bunched material at the top of the dress scooped down and framed her generous curves, revealing plenty of cleavage without being tasteless, the waistline, accented by a small satin ribbon, was tailored to her fit form, swelling at her hips. The asymmetrical layers of the skirt stopped just below her knees, the shadows of her legs visible through the diaphanous gradation of silks.

Scott laughed out loud. “Poor Wolverine doesn’t stand a chance.”

Ororo beamed.

~XXX~


That moment, several hundred miles away, Logan was himself wondering how Ororo looked in the dress he had left her. Just the idea of her wearing it was enough to make him heavy. One of the several gunmen circling him and Colossus took a blind shot, getting lucky, catching Logan in the leg.

“Fuck.” Logan cursed, dropping to one knee, more pissed at his own wandering mind than by the fact that he’d just been shot. He clamped his hand over his thigh, wincing at the brief pain. Blood spurted from between his fingers.

“Tovarich!” Peter Rasputin crouched beside him, his steel form ricocheting the rapid fire succession that trailed the first fired round.

“Relax, tin man. The ole healin’ factor’ll kick in in just a sec.” Logan stood, extending his claws with their trademark -snikt- of metal on metal. “These fuckers are starting to piss me off!” he growled as another bullet clipped his shoulder.

He moved with astonishing speed, a blur of black against the shadowed backdrop of the warehouse he and Colossus had raided. Leaping over a stack of crates Wolverine let out a blood chilling growl. The unlucky bastard behind the boxes barely had time to swing in Logan’s direction before he was dispatched by an adamantium laced fist to the face.

Logan whirled catching a whiff of one of the others trying to sneak up behind him. He grinned at the bearded, heavy set man with feral intensity. The man fired, missing completely as Logan was already in motion, rolling across the floor and taking the man’s legs out with a sweep of his own. He moved with precision, a quick penetration of blade at the right spot silencing his enemy eternally.

Logan had never been a fan of killing without justification. Granted, at times that justification had been a rather large paycheck, but it still bothered him to no end to kill indiscriminately. However, he had no qualms with these men. He could smell their rancor and it sickened him.

The crates beside him exploded with the impact of another drug runner’s limp body, courtesy of a throw by Colossus. Logan glanced up at his shimmering steel partner, exchanging wild smiles, both men enjoying themselves, probably a bit too much, but neither was overly concerned with it.

“They’re fleeing!” Colossus shouted.

“Not for long.”

The two moved quickly, taking the remaining men down in a flurry of rapid fire moves and punches. When the dust settled Logan and Peter were the only men left standing in the room. Logan cricked his neck, removing his “victory cigar” from the front, padded, pocket of his uniform; an addition made specifically for him.

Colossus rippled, flesh returning where only a moment ago overly dense steel had been. “It feels good to help stop a crime ring that I was once a part of.” His tone was satisfied, yet sad.

Logan clapped him on the back, his hand slapping leather. “We all have done shit we ain’t proud of, Petey. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Yer doin’ right now, and that’s what matters.”

Colossus seemed unconvinced. “Is that what makes you feel better about what you have done in your past?” It wasn’t snide or condescending, the big man honestly wanted to know.

Logan paused on an inhale, his muscles tensing. He exhaled slowly, his voice tinged with more regret than one man should be forced to bear. “Some things we can never make amends for.” He stomped his cigar beneath his boot, walking into the shadows.

~XXX~



It was just after dusk when Logan and Peter returned to the mansion from their South American mission. The debriefing with Xavier was succinct and to the point, both men eager to be thinking about something else.

Logan in particular. His hands flexed against the arms of his chair impatiently. Charles raised speculative eyes but refrained from comment. “Thank you both. That is all.” He dismissed them.

A quick shower and change and Logan was once more on the hunt, this time prowling the halls for a particularly elusive prey. He stopped outside her bedroom door, catching her scent mingled with the roses he’d had delivered. The combination was enticing, making his stomach tighten. His hand lifted, then dropped, then lifted again. This was flamin’ ridiculous, he cursed himself. He knocked. There was no sound from the other side, so he knocked again.

“She’s not in there.”

Logan’s shoulders tightened, his eyes narrowed as he turned. “Cyke.” He growled the greeting.

“Wolverine.” They eyed each other like two alpha males in their familiar testosterone tango.

“Where is she?” Logan finally asked.

“Why do you need to know?” Scott leaned his shoulder against the wall.

Deciding he really didn’t want to play a round of twenty questions with Scooter Logan gave a lip curl and snarl and started away. He was surprised when Scott’s hand shot out, stopping him with a firm grip on his forearm.

Logan’s growl was far less friendly as he said, “Wanna take yer hand off me, Bub. Before you lose it.”

Wisely Scott removed his hand, but said quite determinedly, “I’m only going to say this once, Wolverine. Hurt her again, and we’ll see if adamantium has a melting point.”

Dark eyes glinted with ferocity and an inkling of respect. Stubbornly, however, he returned, “What I do with ‘Ro is none of your damn business.”

Scott didn’t give an inch. “I’m making it my business.”

Logan stepped forward. “You sure that’s wise, Scooter?” His face was hard.

Scott straightened away from the wall, his jaw set. “I won’t see her spirit crushed by you.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean,” Logan demanded, his impatience mounting.

Scott’s voice dripped with repressed anger and hurt. “It means that if you have serious intentions toward Storm then you had better stop fucking Jean.”

That one caught Logan by surprise. Shit, had Jean told Scott? How long had he known? Did it really matter? It wasn’t like he was the one to blame. She came to him, he obliged. It was that simple. He didn’t bother to deny or confirm Scott’s statement, nor did he need to, both men knew he was screwing the redhead, but what he did say, defensively, was, “You got issue with me and Jean, fine. Take it up with your girl. Me and ‘Ro ain’t none of your concern.”

“I’m taking it up with you.” Scott’s hands balled at his sides. “And there is no you and ‘Ro.”

Logan growled. “She’s more than capable of making her own decisions.”

“Which one?”

“Both of ‘em.”

“You can’t have both,” Scott’s own anger was steadily on the rise.

Logan couldn’t resist the taunt made available, “Says who?”

Scott’s visor began to glow bright red.

-SNIKT- Logan’s smirk was a blatant challenge. He still had a bloody nose to repay.

“What the heck is going on here?” Jean strode hurriedly down the hall, her gaze swinging between the two men, neither one giving her so much as a glance. She stopped a few feet away, prudently keeping a respectable distance. “Stop it, both of you! I am so sick of you two fighting over me!”

Scott slowly powered down but he kept his eyes on Wolverine.

Logan retracted. He tossed Jean an almost apologetic look--almost. “Don’t worry none, darlin’. We’re done.” He gave Scott a meaningful look, his voice pitched low. “Alright, Cyke. We’re done.” There was a wealth of implication in that small statement.

“I hope so,” Jean said with a relieved sigh. She reached for Scott’s hand. “Ready for dinner?”

“No thanks, not hungry.” He shook her off, heading down the hall.

She looked ready to argue, but then decided against it. Something in Scott‘s expression told her it wasn‘t a fight she‘d win. “How about you, Logan? Want some dinner?”

“Actually, I got other plans tonight, Red.”

Over his shoulder Scott called, “Backyard.”

Logan tipped his head, acknowledging that for the time being Scott was not about to interfere with him and Ororo.

“What’s in the backyard?” Jean asked.

Logan’s grin was positively ferocious. “My dinner.”

~XXX~


The air was cool and smelled of rain, Logan noticed, stepping from the back porch and onto the steps. Twilight was always his favorite time of day, though he didn’t think he’d ever shared that little tidbit about himself with anyone. He inhaled deeply, picking up the subtle, but present scent of vanilla and roses on the air. He strode down the steps, following his faithful nose.

He rounded the corner of the institute and a small hill, coming to a worn path that led down to the lake at the far end of the Institute‘s property lines. His pace increased, the idea of Ororo in the water enticing him.

She wasn’t immersed in the water, however, he noticed. But he felt no disappointment at that. How could he when she looked so goddamn beautiful it drove all thought from his head save that one. Laying in his hammock, wearing the dress he had picked out for her, with her head tilted back so that her snowy tresses nearly brushed the ground as she swayed, Ororo was doing something he had never known she could. Singing.

Strumming an old acoustic guitar and singing quietly she seemed unaware of his presence and he had no desire to make her aware just yet. He was enjoying the view far too much.

Her voice was soft, smooth and sultry, filtering into the night air and his head with promises of rumpled sheets and sweaty nights. It wasn’t any song that he recognized, leading him to believe that maybe it was one of her own, which only enflamed him further.

Long nimble fingers suddenly ceased their strumming, a resonant discord hanging in the air. Ororo’s head titled a bit, her breathing slightly irregular, much like small game when scenting a predator.

He tried not to let that please him, but failed.

She crooked her head over her shoulder, her eyes shadowed.

He lifted one hand in salute, but stayed rooted where he was, deciding not to rush her just yet. He studied her expression. Proud. Defiant. Hurt. Scared.

“Hi.” Her voice was cautious but not unwelcoming.

“Evn’in’.” He continued towards her at a slow saunter. Easing his way.

Ororo couldn’t think, couldn’t breathe. Harsh features, shadowed by the early evening purples stole the air from her lungs. Logan looked raw and primal despite his cleaned up appearance. She blinked a few times, fully taking in what he was wearing. A stark white shirt, made more prominent by the contrast against his tan skin, was opened at the collar so that a patch of crisp black hair was revealed. The shirt was tucked into dark denim, held in place by brown leather belt with gold buckle; customary cowboy boots and a dark Stetson competed the look.

Good Lord the man was too sexy for his own good. She wanted to weep with it. No over dramatization there, her insides physically clenched, her throat became tight and tears stung her eyes. She took a calming breath. Okay, get it together, Storm. He’s just a man.

His sensual smile told her that he somehow sensed her thoughts. Sometimes she really hated his advanced senses. She swung her legs over the hammock, dropping barefoot onto the grass. She leaned the guitar against the trunk of one tree.

When he was a bit closer he gestured towards the instrument. “Didn’t know you played.”

She lifted one shoulder. “I was more or less forced to learn.”

“Strict parents?”

Her face clouded, then cleared. “No. I have a friend that insists music is the point of life. She takes great offense to anyone that views otherwise. It was important to her that she teach me to play, so I let her…” she trailed off, the closer he got.

“You sing nice.” His tone was husky.

“Thanks,” she whispered.

He was so close she could feel the heat from his body and smell the crisp clean scent that was his and his alone. Wild, earthy and male. It called to her. She took a step forward before she knew what she was doing.

He reached up, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear, his fingers lingering. “You look pretty.”

A person would have thought she’d never been complimented before the way her heart leapt and her face burned.

“You didn’t have to buy me the dress,” she stated in a rush. “Or the flowers.”

He frowned. “You don’t like them?”

“No, it‘s not that. I do. It’s just…”

“What?” He prompted, looking unbearably appealing with his dark eyes gleaming in the moonlight.

She took a deep breath, backing up a few steps. “It hasn’t changed anything.”

Logan remained silent, although his initial reaction was to reach for her the moment she stepped back.

She met his eyes. “I still don’t like you very much.”

His dark gaze flickered over her face and there was something dark and undefined in his eyes that made her shiver. “You don‘t really need to.”

“Oh.” Her brows came together.

He moved forward, deliberately crowding her body with his larger frame. “When we finally have sex, you’ll just have to pretend you do.”

Was that humor? She couldn’t be certain but there was a strange light in his eyes that very well could be a twisted sense of humor. “What makes you think I’m ever having sex with you?” she demanded.

“Let’s put it this way, you won’t be screwing anyone else. At least no one that will live long afterwards.”

The overly possessive tone in his voice should have sent her inner feminist into a frenzy, but instead she felt oddly pleased by it. Still, she argued, “You can’t just decide to own me, Wolverine.”

“The decision ain’t mine to make. It is what it is.” He reached for her finally, his hand capturing her wrist in an implacable grip.

She jutted her chin at him. “Is this the part where you club me over the head and haul me to your cave?”

He laughed, low and deep with a rumble. “Now there’s an idea, but no.” He tugged her into his arms. “This is where I dance with you under the stars.” He brushed his hand along her back. “Sing for me.”

She could hardly draw a breath, but Ororo Munroe had never backed down from a challenge in her life and Logan’s eyes challenged her, dared her to be with him. She had no words for a song, so she hummed instead, keeping the rhythm slow and simple. It only lasted a few moments before he drew her closer, folding his arm behind her, lifting her against the hard length of his body.

“I’m going to kiss you now,” he warned gruffly. “If you decide to fry me, make sure you hit somewhere unimportant to me.” He gathered her to him, his arms tightening around her waist.

Ororo lifted her mouth, meeting him more than half way, her body shaking the moment his lips touched hers. His tongue swept into her mouth as swift and sure as any hunter, devouring her. He tasted like cigar and sex, control and fury all blended together in an addicting cocktail. He was potent. The chemistry between them volatile and dangerous.

She moaned as the kisses deepened, becoming aggressive as he fed on her lips, over and over. She pressed her aching breasts into the hard heat of his chest, her nipples stiffened beneath the silk, protruding in invitation.

“I want you so much right now.” He bit her lip, sucked it into his mouth before meshing their mouths fully again. The temptation to rip her clothes off right there was damn near overwhelming. He bent forward just a bit, enough to use his weight to bend her body over his arm. He trailed molten kisses along the graceful curve of her neck, over her collar bone, eliciting a soft gasp, and down across the swell of her breasts. He carefully lowered the silk revealing a coffee nipple to his heated mouth.

Ororo’s fingers clenched in the cotton of his shirt, her head falling back as she delivered herself up like a willing sacrifice to his dark appetite. “Logan.”

His cock swelled at the sultry sound of his name on her lips. He took a ragged breath, lifting his head to her heavy lidded eyes. “I gotta make up for the other night.” His lips curved.

She wasn’t sure what he meant by that and never got a chance to ask. Logan swung her up into his arms, striding to the hammock. She eyed it and then him speculatively. No way was anyone skilled enough to have a rough and tumble on a hammock.

Seeing her look, Logan grinned. “This ain’t about me, darlin’.” He eased her onto the netting. “It’s all about you.”

“Wait--” Her breath left her in a rush when she felt his hands under her skirt, tugging at her panties.

“Hush.” He lifted her backside, divesting her of the soft pink undergarment. He leveled her a look heavy with intention. “Lay back, baby.” He removed his hat, placing it on the ground over her satin and lace bit.

“Logan…” There was a catch in her voice, a crack in her armor.

“Trust me.” His finger stroked her wet seam.

Her breathless gasp was all the encouragement he needed. He stroked her a few more times with his fingers, watching her face as his own darkened hungrily. She nearly came apart when he crouched low, spreading her legs apart to make room for his shoulders. He pushed his tongue deep inside of her in a slow stroke. Her fingers locked in his hair and she pressed forward into his mouth.

She tasted as sweet as she smelled and he couldn’t seem to get enough. He slowed his ministrations, ensuring her ultimate pleasure. He could feel her thighs tensing, her stomach tightening. She was close. He nipped her flesh, suckling her swollen clit into his mouth.

“Logan!” Her cry rent the night, sending the birds resting in the branches of the trees scattering into the sky. She rocked and moaned, her juices sluicing over his chin. He licked his lips, savoring the taste.

Dark eyes locked with blue and unspoken understanding surged between the two. Logan stood, unbuttoning his shirt. Ororo paused him, taking over the duty, her fingers shaking slightly. He placed his hands over hers. “’Roro.”

She took a steadying breath before she tilted her head, meeting his gaze.

“There’s no going back after this,” he warned. “For either of us.”

Somehow she had already known that. She pulled his head down to hers, tasting herself on his lips and whiskers. She kissed him with every ounce of desire she had pent up for him, until he groaned from it.

“Jesus,” he rasped. “Yer gonna kill me.”

She laughed huskily, the sound washing over Logan like summer rain.

He gripped her hips, pulling her closer. “I want to be inside.” The sound of his growl, the look on his face, the blatant hunger he had for her sent her heart into a frantic tattoo.

Their clothes came off in a flurry of hands, and kisses, the silk of her dress fluttering atop the dark denim of his jeans. Logan lowered her from the hammock to the grass effortlessly. The cool blades against her heated skin made her gasp at the erotic contrast. She widened her legs as he knelt between them. She moaned, feeling the large head of his erection at her entrance.

“Tell me you want this,” he coaxed. “Tell me you want me.”

She arched against him, aching. “I want you, Logan.”

He surged home.

Her fists ripped up blades of grass. She could hardly think anymore, her body not her own, consumed with sensation.

“You’re so fuckin’ tight, yer killin’ me,” he ground out.

She grunted, panting, “That’s the second time you’ve…ah..accused me of trying to kill you tonight.” She was certain he was wrong, after all it was him that was killing her. Stretching her impossibly wide. It burn, it stung, it felt so good.

He surged into her deep and hard, making her claw his back and cry his name. He grinned. God it felt good, better than good, beyond good, beyond words, being inside of her.

Her inner muscles squeezed tight. She was so hot, so wet and the sight of her, sprawled on the grass beneath him was enough to bring his orgasm achingly close. But her refused to give in. He owed it to her to make up for his blunder the other night.

He thrust harder, sweat forming on his head, spraying from his hair.

Ororo held his face, her fingers threading his muttonchops. “Don’t stop,” she pleaded.

He nipped her fingers, sucking one into his mouth. “No worries, darlin.” he rolled his hips forward, his balls slapping her ass. “We’re a long way from done.”

Her moan of satisfaction at that vibrated through him, making his cock swell even more. “Fuck, baby,” he growled.

“Mmmm.” She arched beneath him. “Logan, Logan, Logan,” his name was a mindless chant as her muscles tightened and intense heat coiled in her abdomen.

“Come on, baby. Come for me.” He urged, his voice a guttural command. He angled his hips, stroking deeper, thrusting harder. He didn’t want to ever stop, he realized. This was his idea of heaven. Pounding into Ororo, her slick heat enveloping him in a death grip. It was perfect. He reared back, watching her glowing face as she neared her pinnacle. He reached for her hands, moving them so that they covered her own swaying breasts.

She blinked up at him, immediately comprehending what he wanted. Logan, at times more animal than man, was still very much male and as such was very, very visual. She obliged his silent request, teasing her own nipples into taut peaks beneath his hooded, watchful eyes.

The feral snarl he gave her sent her over the edge. Her walls clamped down, tightening painfully around Logan’s cock, her hard spasms contracting and squeezing, milking him, demanding he follow her over the edge.

Logan groaned, feeling himself swell impossibly bigger still, his balls drawing up painfully and then he was surging hard, pistoning his hips forward, harsh grunts torn from his throat as he approached climax. His claws exploded from the backs of his hands, spraying blood, but he was oblivious to everything but the endless orgasm tearing through his body. A single note of raw ecstasy escaped from his throat as he poured into her, a merciless torrent of sensation that left him shaking and weak.

Ororo sobbed, clutching his shoulders, riding out the storm. She lay panting, her body still contracting with the aftershocks of her release. She lifted her hands to her face, feeling the tears on her cheeks. Another soft sob choked her.

Logan’s head snapped up from it‘s pillow on her chest. “’Ro?”

She tried to slap him away, but he was persistent, lifting her. He cradled her against his chest as she wept. His hands stroked her back, her hair, her shoulders. “Shh, it’s alright, baby. Shhh.”

Ororo couldn’t stop the tears.

Not knowing any other form of comfort, Logan began kissing her again. Slowly, gently, lifting her face to his, licking away her tears, tasting her pain. He eased her back onto the ground, laying down beside her and pulling her against his chest.

“I’m sorry,” she said, wiping her eyes. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me.”

“Shush.” He stroked her tearstained cheek. He knew because he felt it too, the feeling of completion. Of home. He blinked back his own tears.

He kissed her endlessly it seemed, long after her tears had finally ceased, and deep into the night. When she tried to speak he silenced her with his mouth. Eventually she relaxed, curled against his side.

Logan’s heart beat steadily beneath her ear, lulling her. Soon her eyes felt heavy, too little sleep in the past two days taking its toll. “I don’t want to fall in love,” she murmured as she descended into the realm of dreams.

Still very much awake Logan heard her. He closed his eyes, blowing out a pent up breath. “Ditto, darlin’.”
Wild Ride by windrider1
It was just sex. Only sex. Nothing more.

Repeatedly Ororo kept telling herself that, over and over, hoping at some point she would convince herself of the lie. The events of last evening had stayed with her long into the morning, interrupting her thoughts, making her heart jump every now and again as she’d recall a growl, a grunt, a rotation of hips. She thumped her head onto the table, a pitiful laugh coming from her. Who the hell was she kidding? She sighed. “Damn it.”

“Uh, Storm?” Warren stood in the library doorway, his wings glowing ethereally in the afternoon light.

She lifted her head, blowing strands of hair from her face. “Yeah?”

“Phone.” He waved the cordless.

“Shit.” Ororo quickly got to her feet, knowing instinctively before she took the receiver who was on the other end. “Hey, Al.”

“Don’t you fucking ‘hey, Al,’ me. You never called. Do you have any idea how fucking worried I was? I nearly broke a sweat fretting about you. You’re just lucky I distracted myself by getting shit-faced and humping some really hot gear head.”

“Uh-huh,” Ororo could hear the smile in the other woman‘s voice. “Obviously I put you in a state of panic.”

Ali chuckled. “Well, maybe not panic per se, but I was definitely on the rim of mild concern.”

“Well, thanks for worrying, Mom, but I‘m fine.”

“Cute. Don’t make me ground your ass. It was good to see you again, been too long.”

“I kept in contact.”

“Yeah, but not like normal.”

“Yeah, sorry about that.” Ororo felt a twinge of guilt. Rarely did she go forty-eight hours without phoning Alison but when she had taken the million and run, she hadn’t wanted to leave any trail that could lead Xavier to Ali and cause her friend any grief so her phone calls had been sporadic and at best bi-weekly or monthly.

“I’m sure you had your reasons. What was up with the bondage duo crashing our fun the other night?”

Ororo’s smile widened. The leather uniforms that they were all equipped with did make one think of shady S&M clubs. “They work for Xavier. Marvel Girl and Wolverine. Honestly, I think they thought they were coming to rescue me and Scott.”

“From the dangers of fun? Strict school. So, uhm, Marvel Girl and Wolverine, eh? Why can’t you guys have normal names, like Frank or Bob, Sue or Mary? What’s with the covert codenames? It‘s not like you wear Batman masks and have secret identities.”

Ororo thought for a minute. “Not really sure,” she said. “Wolverine got his codename from the military, but the rest of us were dubbed upon induction to the X-Men.”

“I still say the X-Men sounds like a porn club.” There was a pause, followed by an ah-ha. “That explains the leather.”

“That would explain it.” Truth was leather helped prevent injury in a fight. It was harder to tear than cloth and kept them safe from abrasions caused by rolling on the ground, punching and such, but Ororo didn’t figure Alison wanted a combat tutorial. “So, what are you up to?”

“Me? Trouble, same as ever. Just calling to check on you before I get too busy. We have a live band coming on at ten tonight, so I expect a rowdy crowd.”

“Local talent?”

“Yep. Undiscovered and raw.”

“Juts the way you like them.”

“Absolutely. Hey, I hired that Lorna chick, by the way.”

Ororo sat back down in her chair, crossing one leg over the other. “Really? For what?”

“Bartending on the weekends. It’s getting too busy for just me. I like her. She’s smart and funny.”

Ororo nodded although Ali couldn’t see her. She liked Lorna too. “Plus she has green hair.”

“Bonus. We both think that Scott guy you were with is all kinds of scrumptious.”

“Scrumptious?”

“Yeah, it means delicious. Get a dictionary, look it up.”

Ororo laughed. “I know what it means, ass. I’m just surprised you do.”

“Oh, har frikkin’ har.” Ali moved the phone, Ororo could hear the clack of her earrings. “So what’s the deal with you and him?”

“Just friends.”

“With benefits?”

“Definitely. Just not the ones you mean.”

“Why? Is he gay?”

“Alison!”

“Just asking.”

“No, he is not gay.”

“Well, then, what’s the hold up?”

“First, just friends, as I said. Second, he’s involved. Third…my interests lie elsewhere.” She could almost see Ali’s eyebrows perk.

“Elsewhere, hm? Who elsewhere?”

Ororo paused, cricking her head to see if Warren or anyone else still lingered in the hall. “Wolverine.”

There was a bark of laughter from the other end. “ I knew it! I fucking knew it! The way he grabbed you in the bar and the way you were all haughty hot for it. Nice play, Munroe.”

“Somehow I knew you’d approve.”

“Hell yeah. That man was damn hot. I’m all in favor of a casual rough and tumble on occasion.”

There was a silence.

“This is casual, isn’t it, O?”

Ororo twisted in her seat, uncomfortable. “I don’t know.” It was the most honest answer she could give.

“You don’t know,” Ali repeated.

The hair rose on Ororo’s arms. She craned her neck, catching a shadow in the hall. “Hey, Al, I hate to cut this short, but I’ve got to run.”

“Uh-huh.” There was a knowing smirk on her friend’s face, she just knew it.

“I’ll call you in a day or two.”

“Sure. And, ‘Ro…”

“Hm?”

“Be careful.”

That brought her upright. “Huh?”

Ali’s voice was uncharacteristically somber. “As hot and beautiful as it is, fire always burns.”

Ali had some serious relationship scars left by the boyfriend she referred to as her “Longshot” at happiness. He had been everything Ali had ever wanted. Smart, gorgeous, dangerous, adventurous and seemingly devoted to her. Although Ororo knew far more than anyone else, Ali was still very hush-hush about the specifics of why she and Art had ended, but Ororo knew for a fact that it hadn’t been a mutual decision and it had hurt her friend deeply.

“I will.” Ororo promised. They said goodbyes and Ororo hit the end button, a small frown on her face. She placed the phone on the table in front of her. “Something I can help you with, Wolverine?” she called.

Broad shoulders filled the doorway. “Any number of things.”

There was several ways she could interpret that, she thought fighting to keep her breathing even. She folded her hands on her lap, attempting to appear nonchalant.

Logan didn’t like the way his gut kicked at the sight of her. White shorts and a short, blue tank top on Ororo were just as tempting to him as any piece of sexy lingerie he’d ever seen on a woman. He shifted his weight, adjusting himself subtly.

“Well,” she said when he didn’t elaborate. “Could you be a bit more specific? Last I checked I wasn‘t a psychic so you‘re going to have to help me out here.”

His mouth quirked. Feisty little thing. “I’m taking a ride. Gonna be gone for a few hours.”

She tilted her head as if asking for relevance.

“Good for you.” Ororo responded, uncertain as to what else to say. Her mind was still wrapping itself around how unbelievably sexy he looked. Black cotton hugged his torso like a second skin and tight jeans molded to sculpted thighs.

“You up for a spin?”

She stared mute for a moment. “Hunh?”

“A ride.” He clarified slowly. “You. Me. Bike.”

Ororo had a miniature girly death right then and there, her inner squee of glee echoing in her head as she replied coolly, “Sure, why not, I have time.”

“I’ll wait for you in the garage.” He left the library.

Ororo watched the way his muscles flexed beneath the cotton, remembering all too well the feel of them flexing and bunching beneath her fingers. She waited until she was absolutely certain he was gone before she slammed her head back onto the table.

~XXX~


The scenery whipped past in a blur as Logan pressed his customized bike to its limits, roaring down the highway, passing cars like they were sitting still. Ororo grinned, waving to a small boy in the back of a sedan and his barking dog. She laughed out loud when Logan turned his head, baring his fangs and the dog immediately silenced, lowering it’s head. Satisfied, Logan gunned the engine again, speeding up.

They drove for several hours, but it felt like minutes to both of them. Hard pressed sexual tension actually morphed into a companionable weight. She was getting used to the ache in her groin being around him and the way her breathing never seemed quite normal. She wasn’t altogether sure that was a good thing, but it was something.

Logan pointed out some favorite stops of his, pausing at some beautiful scenic rest areas so that Ororo could snap a picture with her digital camera. She was taking some nice shots when she caught his eyes resting heavy on her. “If you give me a ‘beautiful view’ comment while staring at my ass, Logan, I swear I will lose all respect for you.”

His lips curved devilishly. “That’s alright, darlin’. Last I checked you barely had any respect for me. But no worries. I won‘t say a thing.”

She bit her lip, repressing a soft moan. Damn him and his über sex appeal.

He mounted the bike, waiting for her, his eyes raking her slender form appreciatively, but, true to his word, he made no comment.

It wasn’t until they were inside a small convenience store diner that he kissed her. They were leaning against the counter, chatting when he bent forward and kissed her. No passionate foray of tongue, no moaning embrace, no groping. Just an undemanding, lingering brush of his lips against hers before he suggested they get moving again.

Ororo, so completely dumbfounded and remarkably moved by the small gesture, all she could do was nod.

Logan needed the air. His mind was in turmoil. The invitation for the ride had been spontaneous, as had the kiss, neither of which he regretted, but both confused him. Raging passion he could deal with and understand. Hell, it wasn’t complicated. He liked to get off. What man didn’t? But the desire to simply spend time with a woman because he actually enjoyed her company was an uncustomary and unique experience for him.

“All set?”

She nodded again. “Where to now?”

“We should probably head back.” He replied, adjusting his gloves.

Ororo glanced at the setting sun. They really had been gone awhile. “Yeah. I suppose.” She tried to keep the disappointment out of her voice.

He must have heard it because he said, “We’ll have to do this again.”

“I’d like that.”

“Me too.” He meant it. He wished he didn’t.

He decided to take a longer, more winding route back to the estate, it was less open and shadowed with trees, but it was still beautiful. About halfway back he felt Ororo’s arms drop from his waist. He glanced over his shoulder to make certain she was all right. She smiled at him sweetly, her hand moving on his thigh, stroking the hard muscles there.

He growled. “Darlin’.” It was a warning.

Ororo felt her blood thrum. She was feeling a bit aggressive, she realized. The heat of his back, the hum of the pavement in her ears, the rumble of the bike between her legs. Subtle tension had been building for the entire day, but now, heading back to the mansion, a hint of desperation and desire filtered through her body. Making her want.

Her fingernails pressed harder into Logan’s thighs and she heard him swear. She smiled wider. She felt a surge of excitement. She shifted closer, her lips on the back of his neck, her hand wandering towards the growing bulge between his legs.

Logan damn near lost control of the bike when he felt her rub against his back and the heat of her mouth on his skin. “Fuck,” he grunted, her hand causing friction between his throbbing erection and his jeans.

Ororo nipped his ear. “Steady, Wolverine,” she whispered. She covered his left hand with hers, slowly standing.

“’Ro, what’re you doing?” he demanded, slightly apprehensive about her movements. She had no fear, that girl, he fumed. She ignored him, continuing on her merry way.

Concentrating on what she was doing, and not him, she extended herself, curving and using her natural flexibility to swing herself around so that she was facing him, her ass on the gas tank. “There.” she murmured.

Steel gray eyes clashed with deep blue. “What’re you doin’?”

She slid closer, linking her legs around his waist. “Testing.”

He growled, his eyes flickering from the winding road to her mischievous eyes. “Testing what?”

“Your limits.” She touched his chest.

“I’m pulling over.”

“No.” She shook her head. “Keep driving.”

“’Ro.” He ached he was so hard.

“What’s the matter, Logan? Can‘t handle me…again?” It was a dangerously deliberate taunt.

His eyes narrowed to silver slits and Ororo seriously reconsidered the wisdom in teasing a feral. He revved the bike, his own mouth slanting into a cutting angle.

“Hang on tight, darlin’.”

It was the only warning he gave her before pulling the bike up into a wheelie, sending her forward and flush against him. She yelped, he laughed. Ororo wrapped herself around him like a vine, her arms under his, hear head on his shoulder.

Logan rested his whiskered chin atop her snow colored tresses, inhaling her unique scent and sighing. It shouldn’t feel so fuckin’ right to just hold her. He tried, without much success, to shake the sentimentality of the moment off and focus on the straightforward sex aspect of her position.

“Kiss me,” he instructed, a but harsher than intended.

She raised her head from his shoulder, only too happy to oblige. She pressed her lips to his, nudging them apart with her tongue. She angled her head, delving deeper, tasting coffee on his tongue.

Logan groaned. She felt so damn good to him. “Baby,” he rasped, his cock throbbing in time to his heartbeat. “We gotta pull over.”

Ororo nipped his lower lip. “Why?”

Logan chuckled. “’Cause I’m about to crash the bike.”

His simple confession made her blush. “So we pull over and have a quickie with you bending me over the bike?” She licked the seam of his mouth.

“That’s one idea.” He agreed, sucking her tongue into his mouth.

“Mmm.” Ororo tilted her head back. “What makes you think I’m that kind of girl.”

Dark and sensual his mouth curved. Hs voice was more growl than vocal when he answered, “I can smell it on ya.”

“Well, then,” she replied, her hands finding the front of his pants unerringly. “It must be true.”

“Right. The nose never lies.”

“Pull over,” she whispered, the wanton in her taking over.

Logan kicked up gravel as he pulled the bike to an abrupt halt. He dropped the kickstand with his heel, his hands groping Ororo’s behind, lifting her against him. He could feel damp heat permeating her jeans. “You’re wet,” he said huskily.

“You’re hard,” she countered, gasping as he swung his leg over the seat without moving her. He lifted her off the bike with him, still wrapped around his torso.

He marched down the small embankment, stroking her ass as he did, until they were in deeper grass. The road was still close by, but they would not be easily spotted where they were. “A little fog would be nice, don‘t ya think,” he suggested, snatching her ear between his teeth.

“You expect me to think right now?” she gasped. She shuddered when he cupped one breast.

Male satisfaction flooded his system. “What’s the matter, ‘Roro? Can’t handle me?” he goaded. He didn’t wait for a reply, instead lowering them to the soft blades, undulating against her. He rubbed up and down, forward and back in a simulation of sex, all the while teasing her nipples beneath her shirt.

“Don’t tease me,” she complained. “Fuck me.”

Logan looked positively feral. “With pleasure, darlin’.” He reared back, working her button, and jerking her pants and underwear down over her hips. He growled deeply, touching her damp curls. He parted her folds, his eyes heavy lidded.

Ororo felt self-conscious, with him studying her so intently. “Hurry.” she encouraged, lifting her hips. “I want you.”

Control snapped at her throaty proclamation. With quick, rough motions he dropped his own pants to his ankles, not bothering to remove them completely. He gripped her hips, flipping her forcefully onto her stomach.

Ororo had no chance to react before she felt him sear her body, surging into her from behind. “Oh, God,” she cried out. He felt so damn good. Filling her up.

Logan was thinking much the same thing. He withdrew then rammed forward again, so hard he heard her teeth clack together. Again. He groaned. Again. She cried out his name. “So tight,” he huffed. “So goddamn tight and hot.”

“Logan, please, please.” She had no idea what she was begging for, but she was begging.

It was a good thing he understood, whether she did or not, because the next instant he forced her to her knees, gripping her so tight it was almost painful, the force of his thrusts sure to leave bruises on her backside. He fisted one hand in her hair, yanking it back.

Ororo closed her eyes, a scream of ecstasy building in her chest. “Don’t…don’t stop,” she panted.

“Fuck no.” Logan slammed into her repeatedly, his face contorted with a savage pleasure that went beyond anything he could readily explain. He barely contained the urge to bite her. He always had been a bit of a biter, a nipper, an aggressive lover, but he wanted to honest to God bite into Ororo. He wanted to see her bleed and know it was him that did it. He repressed that disturbing desire forcibly, but it appeared again and again, making his tension mount to a pitch that was edgy and dangerous.

He drew her back against him, so that her shoulder blades were flush to his chest. He kept one hand tangled in her hair while the other scrambled under her shirt and bra, pinching her nipples into stiff peaks. His eyes followed the graceful curve of her neck to her shoulder and the desire to mark hit him so hard that he pulled out so fast it hurt. He moved away from her, fighting against his every instinct.

“…Logan?” Ororo turned towards him, shaken.

He held up a hand, his face a mask of indescribably emotions. He stood hastily, pulling up his pants, wincing at the pain he caused shoving his still hard cock into his jeans. He turned his back to her. “Get dressed, ’Ro.”

Ororo felt tears sting her eyes, aching from frustration. “What’s wrong?” she asked, still crouched in the grass, naked from the waist down.

He didn’t look at her, nor address her question. “I’m leaving in two minutes. Either you’re on the bike with me or you ain’t, but I’m leaving in two minutes.” He started away from her.

A tear slid down her cheek. She wiped it away angrily. She wouldn’t cry for him.

Logan caught the saline in the air and his gut clenched. His hands fisted but still he didn’t face her.

“Bastard.” Ororo whispered, feeling ashamed and used. She wrenched her clothes on, righting herself. With a clap of thunder loud enough to scatter the surrounding wildlife and shake the ground, she took to the air.

With a sigh Logan trudged back to the road and his bike, he swung his leg over the seat just as the sky opened up. Heavy globules of rain slapped the pavement with audible force. He sighed, raking his hand through his hair. No amount of roses or pretty dresses was fixing this fuck up.

Solemnly Logan spun the bike in a 180, heading away from the institute and roaring into the rain at hazardous velocity.
High Stakes by windrider1
It was just sex. Only sex. Nothing more.

Logan's fists connected repeatedly against his opponents face and torso; each forceful punch an attempt to rid himself of the lingering tension leftover from his roadside romp with Storm. Try as he might he couldn't shake the persistent niggling twinge of his conscience. The look of confused hurt on her face ate at him, made him want to hurt someone.

So distracted by the guilt, he felt none of his usual satisfaction when his brutish challenger hit the makeshift mat with a dull thud, unconscious, and clearly defeated. With a popping crick of his neck and a roll of his muscular shoulders Logan shoved his way through the circle of cheering onlookers, grabbing his discarded shirt and making his way towards the front bar to collect his winnings.

"Sal." Logan grunted, sitting on a red leather covered stool.

"You're in rare form tonight." Sally Jameson said, handing him his cut of the take.

Logan took the cash and shoved it in his pocket, reaching for the beer she extended out to him. "Hnh."

The brunette inclined her head. "And in a mood I see." She grabbed a piece of terrycloth from beside the cash register and ran it under the faucet beneath the bar. She squeezed it, before she reached for Logan's hand. "C'mere. You're all bloody." She swabbed his knuckles.

He let her wipe the other man's blood from his hand, swigging his beer.

"So, let me guess. A woman?"

Logan scowled, the motion etching grooves along his mouth. "When isn't it?"

She gave a wry grin. "Good point." She tossed the rag in the trash. "It's not that redhead again, is it?"

"No." He swished the amber liquid around in the bottle. "Not her."

"Oh, so someone new then?"

He took a long drink. "Why you so nosy?"

She shrugged. "Born that way." She leaned against the bar top, studying him.

"Stop it." he groused.

"I worry about you." She said quietly.

"Don't." He finished his beer, wiping the back of his hand against his mouth.

"Can't help it. A man saves your life, you kind of care about him." She argued with a gentle punch to his arm. "Even if he doesn't like it."

A few years back on a similar fight night Sally had been walking to her car after a double shift when three men had jumped her. Their intentions had been clear immediately. They were not after her money, but wanted something far more depraved from her. She hadn't even had a chance to scream when one of them punched her so hard it knocked her silly. The men had taunted her as the circled her fallen form, kicking and punching her repeatedly. Two of them carried knives and she knew, just knew that they meant to kill her when they were done.

She had begged them not to hurt her, thinking of her baby girl at home with their neighbor who would be left with no one if she was killed. They had laughed drunkenly, uncaring, delighting in her cries. Their laughter had been short lived when from out of the shadows Wolverine had appeared. No warning or mercy was granted by him and although the men were left alive, they were forever, painfully reminded of their erroneous ways by their sudden lack of male equipment. Never again would they harm a woman in the way they had wanted to harm her.

Sally had been hospitalized for three days after the attack but the night she returned to work Logan had been in the bar and she had recognized him immediately, despite his gruff, "You got the wrong guy, lady."

Eventually, due to her dogged insistence that she wasn't stupid and knew who he was, they had struck up conversation and ultimately he'd even shared her bed from time to time, but nothing ever came of it. He was a loner, she'd come to accept. Never to be tied down by any one woman, which was why seeing his expression as grim as it was surprised her.

Sally fished another beer from the fridge she kept stocked just for him. "This woman is different," she stated, a bit envious of the mystery woman's ability to affect Logan so intensely.

Logan cradled the new bottle between both hands, his face shadowed. "All frails are the same."

She laughed, walking away to tend her other customers. "Keep telling yourself that, grumpy," she called over her shoulder. "Who knows, maybe one day you'll believe it."

He sat silent, contemplating his beer.

~XXX~


Ororo stomped through the halls of the Xavier Institute, her riding boots leaving small puddles in their wake. No one dared speak to her, the threatening look on her face preventing even the smallest peep from fellow residents. She reached her bedroom and slammed the door with jarring force. She leaned against the painted wood, her chest heaving with barely contained emotion. She was far less angry than she would have liked to be, and instead more hurt than she would readily admit.

What in the world had happened? One moment she and Logan were grunting and humping, having a grand ole time, she thought, and the next he was pulling away from her and looking at her like she was some sort of diseased hooker that he could no longer abide to be with.

She closed her eyes tight, fighting against a fresh wash of tears. No! No, damn it, she would not cry. No way in hell. She took a deep breath and straightened, resolve firming her features.

In three quick strides she crossed her room to her closet, jerking it open determinedly. No way was she sitting at home in her room, languishing morosely over some guy that obviously didn't want her. That wasn't Ororo Munroe's style. She reached into the back of her closet, pulling out her duffle. She unzipped it; her over plump lips curving up. "Not my style at all," she murmured withdrawing the well worn Stetson she housed there.

Twenty minutes later Ororo was once more marching down the halls of the Xavier Institute; this time instead of black riding boots she was wearing silver high heels. She strutted with a purposeful sway to her hips, her mood lifting with each bouncy step.

She thumped on Scott's bedroom door twice. "Scott?"

She heard a thud and giggle. Giggle? She rapped again. "Scott?"

The door cracked open and Scott poked his head out, his chestnut hair stood up disheveled about his head. "Hey, Storm. What's up?"

She caught a flash of red wavy locks over his bare shoulder. She gave him a thorough once over. "You are, obviously," she said dryly.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, well, Jean and I are-"

She held up her hand. "I don't even want to know, big guy. I just need your X-Wing pass-code."

"Huh? Why?" For the first time he really noticed her appearance. Long legs were exposed by a daringly short skirt, and a barely there sequined top revealed an ample amount of breast and abdomen. Her hair, always wild, looked tousled, soft and inviting. To put it plainly, she looked like sex.

He winced at the flash of pain that wayward thought got him. He sent Jean a look over his shoulder. She pouted, patting the bed, mouthing, "hurry up."

Storm drew his attention back to her. "I'm heading up to Boston."

"What happened?" His features tensed and his voice hardened.

"Nothing happened, Scott. I just want to go." She really didn't feel like rehashing her rejection.

He looked skeptical and ready to argue.

"Look, either you give me your code, or I steal the plane. Those are the options." She placed her hand on her hip, her expression letting him know she meant it.

He frowned, regarding her tilted chin and glittering blue eyes. Something had happened, he was certain, no matter what she said. "Hang on, I'll get dressed and come with you."

"No." Ororo shook her head. "Not tonight."

He raised a questioning brow over his wrap around visor.

She smiled, a bit playful, a bit sad. "I'm feeling rather unpredictable this evening. I really wouldn't want to do something that would hurt our friendship."

He shook his head. "You couldn't."

She touched his bare chest boldly, uncaring that Jean was in the room behind him. "Yes, Scott," his name was a breathless whisper. "Tonight, I could." She wanted to feel desirable, sexy, appreciated. She couldn't risk being close to Scott, a man she admired, respected and found more than a bit attractive. Despite their earlier assessment that no lust flowed between them, they were indeed only human, and a few drinks and need on both their parts could seriously damage their strong friendship.

He swallowed hard. "Yeah, alrighty then." He cleared his suddenly too dry throat. "Alpha 2105."

"Thanks." She leaned up and kissed his cheek. He watched her walk down the hall. When he closed the door he barely dodged a flung pillow. "What?" he asked, holding up his hands. "What was that for?"

Jean scowled. "You know what!"

He shrugged. "Can't help it, Jean. I'm a guy and she's--"

"Working my last nerve! How dare she come to your room looking like a…a stripper and you expect me to not say anything? Especially when you are broadcasting you appreciation." She gave his crotch a pointed look.

Scott felt heat flood his face, but rather than be embarrassed he shrugged it off. "Jean, I'm in here with you, not her. You know I’ve noticed you keeping your distance from Storm lately and the whole bad influence stunt with Xavier was pretty damn childish. So, tell me truthfully, what's your real issue? That she's my friend…" He sat on the end of the bed. "Or because Wolverine wants her?"

Jean gasped. "He does not!"

Scott chuckled, allowing a bit of bitterness to tinge his words. "He does, and I'm betting that he's the one who will be showing her his appreciation.”

She looked momentarily taken aback, but covered it well. "Well, what do I care? Better yet, what do you care?"

"I care because Storm is my friend and I don't want to see her get hurt. You may care because if he's busy making love to her, then he's not with you." Scott's smile was brittle.

"Scott, I would never…"

"Save it, Jean." He said softly, holding up a hand. "I've known for awhile." He felt strangely liberated.

"Scott." She paused, searching for words as she searched his face. This conversation had taken a very unexpected and dangerous turn. Her eyes welled with tears. "Please." She reached for him. No longer denying it she said, "Let me make it up to you. I swear, I'll make it up to you."

He took her hands, holding her gently away from him. "I'm not blaming you entirely, Jean. Obviously I can't give you everything that you want or need. It may be best if we stop pretending I can."

"That's not true!" She rose to her knees, her eyes beseeching. She was beginning to panic. She couldn't lose Scott. She wouldn't. "Scott, I love you."

He cupped her cheek, his thumb stroking away her tears with aching tenderness. "I believe you." He said softly, sincerely, a catch in his own voice. "But I can't--"

"Scott." Jean pulled him closer, interrupting, not wanting him to finish. "Please, let's make things right. We belong together. You know this."

He sighed heavily. "I used to think so."

"We do," she implored. She kissed his lips softly, then again with more determination. "We do."

Scott closed his eyes. "Jean."

"Love me, Scott." She brought his hand down to her breast. *Love me*

He groaned, covering her with his taller frame. "This won't fix anything," he said, but the resolve was already leaving his voice.

"Shhh." She ran her hands over his chest, thumbing his nipples so they hardened. She ran her hands down his torso, opening the front flap of his boxers, stroking his erection. "I love you." She positioned him between her thighs. "Love me, please. Just love me."

With a shudder he entered her. "I love you too."

"You always will," she vowed, crying out when he began to move.

"I always will," he repeated.

~XXX~


The Rebellion was packed to capacity when Ororo arrived. She maneuvered her way through the dancing crowd, scarcely restraining the urge to use her winds to part the offending bodies like Moses did the Red Sea.

After several 'excuse me's and 'move it's she finally reached the bar, where she was greeted by a grinning Lorna Dane. "Hey there, Ororo!" The pretty green haired mutant was wearing a black shirt, knotted at the waist. The word "Rebellion" was printed in bold across her chest. On the back it read: " Defiance of authority: opposition to accepted moral codes, or social conventions. Rebel, motherfuckers, rebel!"

Ororo smiled at that. Leave it to Alison to put the damn dictionary definition on the shirts. "Hey, Lorna." Ororo leaned against the bar, shouting over the music. "Al around?"

Alison, dressed in the same tee as Lorna and black leather pants, stood up from behind the counter where she had been refilling the peanut dispenser. "Right here." She looked her friend up and down. "Wow, someone is in a dangerous mood tonight. Nice hat, by the way."

"Thanks." Ororo smiled devilishly as she ran her thumb and forefinger along the rim of the stolen Stetson.

"Sweet Jesus." Ali crossed herself.

"What?" Lorna glanced between the two, her mint brows quirking.

Ali gestured to Storm. "I know that look. It means a serious dose of trouble and more than likely the night will end up with her and me outrunning the cops."

Lorna grinned, drawing a beer on tap. "Sounds like a good time." She handed the beer to the bearded customer, who rewarded her with a ten dollar tip. She smiled cheekily pocketing the bill. With her good looks and radiant smile, Lorna was sure to make a swift killing behind the bar.

Ali laughed. "Go easy on ’em, Dane.” She pulled out a shot glass, pouring Ororo's favorite tequila. "So what is the plan tonight, O?"

Ororo took the shot, downing it in a rapid swallow. "To have fun," she said with an attempt at lightness, but Alison caught the dark undertone. Ororo was good at hiding her emotions, but not so good that Ali couldn’t detect the wrongness about her.

"Uh-huh." Ali refilled the glass, watching as Ororo pounded it down without blinking. "Something tells me this night will be interesting to say the least."

"One can hope, Ali." Ororo gestured for a third. "Where's the band?"

Ali poured. "Getting ready."

"They any good?" Down again.

"Yes.”

“Who are they again?”

“Killer DJ."

Ororo slammed the glass back onto the bar. "Good. I feel like dancing."

"Grab a fire extinguisher, Lorna." Ali recommended, her aqua eyes twinkling.

"What? Why?" Lorna turned from her line of customers.

Ali smiled mischievously. "Because Munroe's on fi-ah!"


~XXX~


Bzzzz. Bzzzz.

Logan glanced at his pocket, his cell vibrating. He flipped the phone open quickly, recognizing one of the house lines from Xavier's; maybe it was 'Ro.

" Logan?"

Nope. "Jean." He shifted in his seat, unable to ignore the flare of disappointment he felt. "What's up?"

"Where are you?" she demanded, hushed.

"Out. Why the hell are you whispering?"

"Because Scott's sleeping."

"Wore him out did ya?"

"And if I did? It's not like you care," she hissed, but there was a hint of hope in her voice .

"Yer right, I don't." He watched the fighters circling one another across the room in the roped off ring with mild interest. "What do you want, Red?"

"Are you fucking Storm?"

Logan's face darkened. "Is that why you called? To ask who I'm fuckin'?"

"You are, aren't you?" he could hear the anger in her voice.

"What the hell do you care, Jean? You're fuckin' Scooter."

"When were you going to tell me?"

Logan chuckled without humor. "I hadn't planned on it, seeing as how it ain't any of your business."

"Not my business?" her whisper was shrill. "You and I had sex less than a week ago."

"And?"

"I can't believe you would hurt me like this, Logan."

"I really don't give a shit what you believe," he countered, but felt a slight stitch of guilt at his harsh tone. He had already hurt one woman today, he really didn’t feel like making it two, but truth be told he just wasn't in the mood for this drama. He found it hard to believe he ever was willing to play such foolish games. He raked his hand through his hair, sighing into the phone. "Look, Jeannie, I'm not in the mood for this shit right now."

"Fine." He heard her close a door. "But don't expect me to be around when you're tired of your new plaything."

Logan switched ears, his mouth thinning. "Plaything? I thought 'Ro was your friend."

"So did I." He could almost see her pout. "But I guess she feels otherwise."

"Playing victim are we, Red?"

She gasped. "I am not playing anything! I'm the one being used and mistreated. She treats Scott better than she treats me! She has him completely snowed into thinking she can do no wrong. And you…she knew about you and me, but that didn't stop her from making a move. You all used me," she said softly, her voice cracking.

He hated when she cried, it made him feel like a brute. Jean had a knack for seeming impossibly fragile when it suited her. "We used each other, kiddo, and before you get all weepy, do me a favor and remember one tiny little detail you seem to like to omit."

"What's that?"

"You chose Scott."

"I know." She said morosely. "And I do love him."

"Well, good then." Logan was growing exceedingly weary of the conversation. "It's settled. You love Scooter. Wonderful."

"But, Logan, I love you too."

"Don't." His voice was hard. It disturbed him how much it meant to him that someone said those words. He'd been without that kind of tenderness for so long and he craved it desperately. Jean knew that and too often used it against him, but for some reason tonight the words sounded hollow to his ears; untrue. "Jean, you and Scott are what you should be focused on. We had some good naked fun together that we both enjoyed and neither regret so let's leave it at that. It was fun, it was good, it‘s done."

"I'll always care about you, Logan." She whispered.

"And me you," he said. He meant it. Jean would always be dear to him, even if she was a pain in the ass from time to time.

"Friends?"

"Course."

"Good. Then as a friend I think you should know Ororo's sleeping with someone besides you."

The room instantly narrowed, darkening to a hazy red hue for Logan and his blood ran cold in his veins. "Who?" Whoever it was, was fucking dead!

"I don't know, but she showed up at Scott's room and demanded the X-Wing. She was barely dressed. Skimpy clothes, looking like…well, let's just say she looked ready."

Logan's hand tightened on the phone. "Where?"

"What?"

"Where was she taking the plane?"

"How should I know?"

"Find out."

"How?"

His voice was a snarl. "Scott." Scott would know. Ororo trusted Scott. Logan felt like punching something again.

"I am not waking him up just to find out where Storm went." She used her stubborn voice.

"Fine, then read his fucking mind."

"Lo--"

"Do it!" he growled into the phone.

"Ok, ok. Hang on." She put the phone down. A moment later she picked it back up. "All I got was Boston, maybe the Academy or that bar…nowhere specif--"

Logan pressed END. He knew where she was.

~XXX~


Lorna moved her hips back and forth to the measured beat of the band, nodding her head and serving drinks, bouncing around behind the bar. She was really enjoying herself. Ali and Ororo were a riot. Between their jokes, often lewd, and their playful banter it was clear that their friendship was built on a strong, unbreakable bond.

She glanced up towards the stage where Ororo was currently dancing, her body undulating and moving sensuously to the slow bass the band was giving her. The long legged vixen was working the crowd of mostly males and some females like a pro. Money literally littered the stage.

"She's really good," Lorna remarked to Alison.

Ali nodded, nursing her beer. "She should be. I taught her."

"Really?" Lorna gave Ali a speculative look.

"Yes really." Ali laughed good naturedly. With her hard ass chains and leather look it was understandably difficult to picture her writhing and swinging around a pole like a sex kitten, but before she adopted her midnight locks she'd had honey tresses that fell to her waist, little money and a desire to eat, so she'd taken up stripping. It had paid the bills, put food in her belly and made her some interesting friends. But that had all been before Art; before everything had changed. She closed her eyes for a moment, fighting to keep the memories at bay. After a calming breath Ali opened her eyes, seeming to any that saw her to be as relaxed as ever. “Whoo hoo! Shake that ass, Munroe!”

Ororo crawled across the stage, swinging her head around, causing damp tendrils of her hair to cling to her sweat slicked face and bosom. She felt invigorated and intoxicated. She rolled back, writhing in a sexy shimmy that earned her several bills tossed onto the stage. She made no move to collect the money, however, because this wasn't about that. This was about her feeling confident. Logan's rejection had shaken her solid foundation and left her questioning herself.

Something she had fought all of her life to be able to do was to be comfortable in her own skin. Seeing as how she was black with white hair and blue eyes, long legs and had been gawky for most of her life, strange looks were often tossed her way; it had taken her years to become les self conscious about her appearance, and even longer to become a self assured woman confident in her sexuality.

In the span of a few moments Logan had undone all of that and made her, once again, feel inadequate and unattractive. It was a hurt that went deep; deeper because it came from Logan, and deeper still than she wanted to think about for that same reason.

His opinion of her shouldn't matter that much. It shouldn't make her want to cry thinking that maybe a woman like Jean was more to his liking; a woman that would never think to initiate sex on a motorcycle. Proper, demure, easily dominated. The thing was that she had wanted him to dominate her, and for a split second he had, but then he had pushed her away and shut himself off. It was humiliating to think how close she had come to letting him see how much he meant to her. She would have gone submissive for him. What that meant, he could never know.

Shaking herself to rid those unwanted thoughts Ororo moved across the stage, taking the toe of her foot and placing it under a very attractive patron's chin, tilting his head so that he had to look at her. He licked his lips. She leaned over the stage, eliciting hoots and hollers from her audience.

Across the club Ali began clearing off the bar top, taking the glasses and bottles, handing them to Lorna and instructing she put them on the floor, ignoring the complaints of the drinkers. Lorna raised a brow, asking, "What are you doing?"

Ali glanced over her shoulder towards the door, a semi curve to her lips. "A bar-fight just walked in."

Lorna stood on tiptoe, peering in the direction Ali gestured. "Oh, my," she breathed, her hand fluttering to her chest.

Logan’s broad, muscular frame filled the threshold, his grizzled face was a mask of scarcely controlled rage, his lips curled back revealing long incisors and his hands flexed at his sides. His slate steel eyes never flickered or strayed from their target.

Ali jumped on top of the bar and shouted through her megaphone, " Heads up, O!!"

Ororo snapped her head up, her blue eyes finding Logan's nearly black ones across the room unerringly. She froze, momentary fear clutching her heart. She had never seen a man look so savage before. “Shit.” she breathed, for lack of anything else that came to mind.

He started towards her.

The urge to flee was near overwhelming, but she refused to be cowed, instead she rose to her feet, her hands on her hips, facing him boldly. She tossed her hair over her shoulder, feigning confidence that she did not truly feel.

Logan damn near lost the tenuous grip he had on his control when Ororo stood, staring at him, daring him with her eyes to come and get her. Did she have any idea how volatile he was at that moment? How every second on the road had been hell for him, thinking that she might be moaning beneath some other man, that someone else was making her weep with pleasure. He growled in his throat, the sound rumbling in his chest.

He snarled viciously, shoving several people aside.

“Hey, pal!” A larger man whirled, swinging a beefy fist, clearly displeased at Logan’s rough shove.

“I ain’t yer pal!” Crack! Logan never even broke stride, his fist smashing against the other man’s mouth. One of the man’s friends jumped onto Logan’s back, punching him in the head only to fall away quickly, yowling in pain and holding his busted hand.

“Fight!” The cry went up and like a match on tinder the bar erupted into an all out free for all brawl. Chairs and barstools went flying, fists and feet kicked and punched. Logan spit a mouthful of blood onto the floor after one of the fighters landed a sucker blow to his face with a chair.

Some of the women screamed, running from the club while the men belted it out. A few stayed in the tussle, dishing out some high heeled punishment of their own. Tables were flipped onto their sides and glasses flung.

“Oh, my God!” Lorna’s eyes widened. “What do we do?”

Ali’s laugh was downright overjoyed. “Every bar needs a good Christening!” She reached under the counter where she kept “Ole Faithful” a baseball bat she’d had since she was 12 years old. She crouched low and then Supermanned herself off of the bar top, landing smack dab in the middle of the battle royale.

Logan ignored most of the hits he took, keeping his eyes on Ororo. She was in a dangerous position, he knew, on that stage with a fight erupting on the floor. She made an enticing attraction for many of the drunken brawlers. He didn’t know if she was aware of the--”Fuck!”

A hand snaked out from the crowd, grabbing Ororo’s ankle and jerking roughly. That one hand was quickly joined by numerous others, seizing her and dragging her from the stage into the fray. Within a second she disappeared from his view, swallowed up in the skirmish.

“’Ro!” Logan’s trek became even more determined. “Move! Now!” -SNIKT- He sliced through two pool sticks and a flung barstool.

“Munroe!” Ali yelled, swinging her bat. She kicked a groper in the nuts, swearing and laughing at the same time. “Munroe!”

Ororo couldn’t breathe. So many people were clutching at her, groping, tearing at her hair and clothes. She could feel the tension mounting, feel the pressure building. Something somewhere had to give. “Let go!” she ordered, her eyes snapping white. She didn’t want to hurt these people, but she would. Her palm busted a nose and her knee struck soft tissue. “Hands off!”

Logan could feel the hairs on his body rise up, taste the acrid Ozone building in the air. “Christ.” Thunder cracked over head.

Ali smashed her bat into the front window. “Yo, Storm! Clean house!”

Cool air touched Ororo’s skin. She hadn’t heard Alison’s shout, but she felt the wind and that was enough for her to regain composure and focus. She pushed away another set of hands, using bits of electricity to drive the point home.

Ali dove behind the bar, wrapping her arm around Lorna as she did. They pressed their backs to the wall as the glasses began to rattle. Ali turned to Lorna. “You may wanna cover your ears.”

“Shit.” Logan dropped back, sinking his claws into the floorboards as bodies lifted and were tossed about overhead, flung through the now open window by raging winds. He winced as a table rolled across the room smacking him in the head. He internally debated the haphazardness of that smack versus any deliberation on Storm’s part. He met the glowing white gaze of Storm rising to her feet across the room. Seeing her slight smirk he knew the table upside the head hadn’t been all that accidental.

“Nice!” Ali stood, clapping her hands. She turned to the stage where the four band members still sat, their mouths slightly agape and eyes wide. “So, what do you say to next weekend?” They scrambled off the stage running for the door. “So that’s a no then?” She called after them.

Ororo smoothed her skirt and adjusted her shirt, doing her level best to ignore Logan, who was still coming towards her looking like he wanted to rip the room apart.

Sirens blared in the distance. “You weren’t kidding,” Lorna murmured as she stood, brushing scattered peanuts from her hair where the bowls had tipped and dumped.

“Nope.” Alison replaced Ole Faithful back into its housing. “Come on, Lorna, let’s go meet and greet the boys in blue.” She gave Logan a brief look, then Ororo. “Those two need a minute.” She gave Ororo a wink and a thumbs up as she passed.

“Ali--” Ororo began but was cut off.

“What the fuck was that?” Logan demanded, finally reaching her, gripping her arm and hauling her up against him.

“Let go.” Ororo’s eyes were like ice. Ignore the hard chest and broad shoulders, she mentally instructed. Ignore the dark eyes full of intensity. And definitely ignore that stupid flutter in your stomach; probably just gas anyway. Ignore, ignore, ignore.

His face was implacable, as was his grip.

“Go away, Wolverine.” She tried without success to yank her arm away.

His fingers tightened, biting into her skin. “Damn it, ‘Ro. What the hell were you trying to accomplish?”

“I wasn’t trying to accomplish anything,” she lied. “I was just dancing, having fun. Not that it is any of your damn business.”

“It is my business.”

“No, it’s not!”

He pulled her tighter. “Is.”

She gasped when his hand slid along her back, over her short skirt, cupping her ass. “Stop it.”

“Why?” His smile was cruel. “You seem to enjoy flaunting your ass. This is the kind of attention you want, right?”

She flushed furious red. “Back off, Wolverine.” She shoved at him. “I’ll fry your hairy ass, I swear to God I will.”

“I’ll heal,” he snapped back. “You wanna play strumpet, Storm, then you gotta face the consequences.”

“I am not playing anything.” She retorted, her breathing shallow. “It’s you that seems to like the games.” She looked away, hating that her hurt was showing.

Logan’s grip softened, his eyes searching her face. “I’m not playin’ games with you, darlin’.”

She ignored that comment, instead her inner thoughts rolling in turmoil. How dare he show up, manhandle her and act like he had any say over what she did. He had no right to look at her like that; like he gave a shit. She knew better. “What are you even doing here?” she demanded angrily.

Just how exactly he planned to answer that was taken out of his hands when Alison and Lorna returned through the door, running full tilt. “Move it!” Alison shouted.

Lorna waved her hand, the tables and chairs sliding across the room, barricading the door and open window.

“What is it?” Logan asked, immediately in ready-mode, placing himself in front of Storm.

“Some group of anti-mutant wackos just showed, followed the cops in.” Ali stated, distaste coloring her words. “Fuckers are armed.”

“Armed?” Ororo questioned, shouldering Logan.

“To the teeth,” Ali confirmed. “The cops bailed.” She wrinkled her nose. “So much for protect and serve, huh. Guess if you’re a mutie than you’re on your own.”

“How many?” Logan asked, his quick mind already working through attack/counterattack scenarios.

“A fucking lot,” Ali replied, her chest rising and falling rapidly.

Ororo moved around Logan, touching her friends arm. “Ok?”

Ali shook her head. “I am not losing this place,” her eyes shone. “We worked so hard.”

Logan’s ears twitched, picking up at least a dozen voices. Young. Inexperienced. He could take ‘em.

As if sensing his thoughts Ororo turned towards him. “We can’t risk killing them.” As much as they may want to. Mutant relations was fragile as it was. Killing humans was a big no-no, even in self defense.

“Come out and play, Muties!” Bullets struck wood, sending them to the floor.

“Damn it.” Ali covered her head, barely avoiding the Budweiser clock as it fell from the wall.

“Can I at least hurt ‘em now?” Logan demanded.

“No.” Ororo lifted her head from beneath her arms, her eyes were swirling from cerulean to arctic white. “What do you want to bet that grapefruit sized hail deters these redneck assholes and sends them home crying to mommy?”

Thunder echoed, loud and frightening, causing the people outside serious apprehension. Lightning streaked from the heavens, lighting the night sky bright as day. “Leave now!” she called. “Before you really piss me off!” Hail began to fall, small pellets at first, tinking against the vehicles in the parking lot, but soon dull thuds and breaking glass were heard as the frozen pellets increased in size and velocity.

“Some days I just love you, Munroe.” Ali smiled gratefully when the men began entering their cars, cursing and squealing tires.

“You know they’ll probably just come back with more people,” Lorna pointed out, getting to her feet slowly. “Ms. Frost says that for every step towards tolerance we make, someone is eager to shove us back two more. Makes me wish--” Lorna gasped, her body jerking forward as a bullet tore through her back, spraying blood across Ororo’s face.

“Lorna!” Ororo caught her before she hit the ground. “No, oh, no!” She placed both hands over the oozing wound. “Lorna!”

Lorna’s hands curled around Ororo’s. Her green eyes blinked rapidly, pain etched on her pretty face. “Ow.” she tried to joke.

The smell of gasoline filled their nostrils. “Shit.”

Logan moved to the barricaded window. He peered through the crack out into the parking lot. Four cars, a jeep and a van. Headlights out on all of them. They were pouring gasoline and kerosene from the ajar vehicle doors, the slight incline of the drive allowing the liquid to race down and pool against the building. “We got flame!” He shouted as a match hit the pavement, igniting the trail.

Ali raced to the back, grabbing fresh towels. She dropped to her knees beside Storm, pressing the wound.. “Oh, Goddamnitalltofuckinghellfuckingmotherfuckingbastards!”

Ororo let Ali take over trying to staunch the bleeding She held out her hand, gesturing for Logan’s cell. He tossed it to her. She pressed the circled X near the CALL button, dropping the phone beside Alison. “The X-Men are on their way.” She turned towards Logan, their eyes holding. Any issues between them would wait until later. “Now we hurt them.”

-SNIKT-
After Effects by windrider1
The Blackbird soared across the pitch black night sky, invisible to the naked eye, the only telling of its passing the deafening sonic boom left in its wake. The one of a kind, billion dollar jet was being pushed to even its unmeasured limits by the aggressive pilot.

"Scott! Slow down!" Jean commanded, her eyes wide and her knuckles white against the co-pilot armrests.

Ignoring the frantic edge of his girlfriends voice Scott edged the plane that much faster. His mind, normally cool and controlled, even under the most extreme pressure, was in turmoil. Having been awakened just over ten minutes ago by an emergency call from Logan's phone--GPS signal located in Boston-- Scott's initial reaction had been immediate concern for Ororo. Had she been hurt? Was she ok? His blood had pooled ice cold in his gut at that thought that she may have needed him and he wasn‘t there for her, but his fears had been momentarily alleviated by the woman on the phone when she had said, "No, Storm's fine. Kicking ass right now, actually." But that relief was short lived in the very next breath. "My bartender Lorna is hurt. She's been shot."

Scott had felt like he'd been punched in the stomach, momentarily unable to draw a breath. Although he and Lorna had not spoken in months, seeing her on his and Ororo’s visit with Hank had reminded him of how much she had meant to him. He didn’t realize exactly how much until that moment.

Images of Lorna rose up in his mind: the way she smiled so easily, the way she tilted her head slightly when she was really listening and the tranquil melody of her laugh. The thought of never hearing that again…well, it was near unbearable.

"Scott, please, you're making my headache," Jean beseeched, her fingers
working her temples.

"One minute to location." He eased back on the stick slightly. They had made the
trip from Westchester to the outskirts of Boston in record time. His jaw ticked in rhythm with his heartbeat. "Hold on, Lorna," he whispered under his breath.

In her seat, Jean winced.

~XXX~


Ororo leaned her back against the brinks of the Rebellion, taking deep, even
breaths. The fight, if it could even really be called that, had been over in a matter of minutes. A bit of fog cover provided by her and Logan had dispatched the mutant haters efficiently. His fierce attack and vicious snarls had put enough fear into the opposition to last a lifetime. She swore she had heard grown men whimpering like babies before the fight was over.

The fight had been all Logan, but the fire, on the other hand, had taken significant concentration on her part to bring under control. The accelerants the rioters had used made it difficult to extinguish the blaze because water wasn't really helping. Ororo had been forced to carefully suck the oxygen from the flames by way of a funnel, a wind-vacuum of sorts, and effectively suffocate the fire without suffocating the two women still inside the building. It had been tricky, but she had pulled it off.

The crunch of boot heels on gravel caught her attention. "I did a sweep. Those fuckers are long gone. No scent for miles."

She glanced up at her dark haired companion, who was covered in a sheen of sweat, then quickly away. Why the hell did he have to look so…so… "Good," she muttered.

Logan stepped in front of her, his broad chest filling her vision. "You okay, darlin‘?"

"No." She shook her head. "Bastards like that…" she trailed off, her voice becoming tight. Racist bigots the lot of them. The world would be better off with them wiped off the planet. She winced, realizing that thinking was exactly in line with theirs. She took another breath. No. There was always a better way than to become that which she so vehemently hated.

"How's the girl?" Logan brushed his fingers against her cheek, so softly and fleetingly that she didn't feel it. He frowned, noting a bruise forming there.

Ororo peered back over her shoulder to where Ali was holding Lorna up against the bar. Lorna, bless her soul, had used her magnetic pull to remove the bullet from herself and clot the blood pouring from her wound. She was currently swearing up and down that she would be fine and that Ali should learn to relax. Ali. It was comical.

Lorna was still very pale, Ororo did notice, and very weak. Long mint curls hung in disarray about Lorna's pretty face, sticking to her forehead where she was sweating, and her teeth chattered between near blue lips.

"She's in shock," Ororo replied, her voice cracking with anger towards the men that hurt her friend.

"She’s a tough chick." Logan grunted.

"Yeah. She is."

"Probably the company she keeps." There was something in his voice that
made her look up at him. "You're gonna have a shiner," he told her, gesturing to her cheek.

"Not the first. I'll survive." She shrugged. There eyes met and held. Hers reflecting a longing she couldn't put into words and his darkening with hungry need. She leaned forward, instinctively answering his silent call.

Warm hands cradled her face before his hands clenched in her hair and he swooped his head towards hers, capturing her lips in a hot kiss that dizzied her senses and made her stomach tighten in anticipation. His tongue swept her bottom lip, urging her to open for him. She obeyed without thinking, moaning as he plundered deep. Her senses went on overdrive, every sensation magnified from the rough texture of Logan’s shirt beneath her wandering fingertips to the flow of blood in her veins, heating her body to feverish levels.

"Cavalry's here." Logan muttered, nipping her top lip, reluctant to break contact.

Ororo blinked dazedly when he pulled back slightly. "What?"

His smile was borderline smug. "Blackbird." He gestured with his thumb overhead. Sure enough the X-Men plane was coming into view, the cloaking device shimmering off as the jet began it's descent.

"Oh." She took a step away from him, her eyes once more guarded and unrevealing.

Damn, Logan thought with a scowl. He could almost see the walls being erected around her. He turned to face the plane, wishing he'd had thirty more seconds of privacy with Ororo.

The jet‘s hatch opened. "Storm, where's Lorna?" Scott called from the plank, his hand on the side of his visor, ready for action.

Before Ororo could reply, Lorna's voice, weak and shaky, came from inside the bar through the busted window. "Scott? Is that you?"

"I'm here!" he called in return, jogging towards the still smoldering building. He squeezed Ororo’s shoulder as he passed, glad beyond measure that she was all right. He pushed open the beaten door, his face tightening into controlled rage when he saw the destruction and crimson blood staining Lorna's clothes.

"Scott!" Lorna broke away from Ali and staggered towards him.

He caught her up against him, hugging her carefully. "Easy. I've got you."

Outside Jean's mouth thinned as they watched the exchange through the broken window. "Her injury doesn't appear life threatening," she stated, her tone almost accusatory.

"A bullet through the back is always life threatening," Logan stated matter of factly. "She was lucky that she survived. She's lost a lot of blood."

"She needs to get to a doctor." Ororo added.

"I'm sure the Academy is fully staffed." Jean said, ice dripping from her words. Her green eyed gaze flickered briefly between Ororo and Logan. It wasn’t a friendly look.

"I'm sure they are," Ororo said, equally icy. She turned and headed for the
bar, deciding that another fight was best avoided. Her nerves were already frayed from the combination of the attack on her and Ali's bar, Lorna's injury and last but certainly not least, by Logan and everything that had transpired between them earlier that day and just as the Blackbird arrived.

She sighed under her breath. Truth be told, she disliked the tension between her and Jean. At one time they had been rather close, but that was before she had left with Xavier‘s million, and nothing had ever been exactly right between them since she’d come back. Deciding that those thoughts were best left for another time, Ororo stepped back into the club.

"Look at her," Jean hissed, drawing Logan’s attention. She was staring through the busted window towards Lorna, who stood resting her head on Scott's shoulder from within the protective circle of his arms. "Hanging on him."

Logan cocked a brow. "She was just shot, Red. I think she's a bit weak in
the knees from more than Scooter's charm."

"But she does want him," Jean said, her eyes narrowed. "I know she does."

"So what? Scooter only has eyes for you, Jean. Always has."

A look, almost like pain, crossed Jean's elegant features. "Not always,"
she whispered, leaving Logan to ponder what she meant as she trekked quietly
back towards the plane.

"Damned if I'll ever understand a woman," Logan muttered, shaking his head.

~XXX~


Ororo leaned forward, letting the steaming water from the shower sluice over her shoulders and down her chest. She watched with mild fascination as the water at her feet swirled down the drain, the stream tinted pink and black from blood and soot.

Following Jean and Scott’s arrival at the Rebellion the team had loaded Lorna into the medical bay of the Blackbird and set off for Emma Frost’s Academy. Ali had seen them off, assuring Ororo that she had a safe place to crash and that she would get in touch with her in the morning. Ororo had been reluctant to leave her, but Ali had insisted. “Have you ever known me not to be able to watch my own back, Munroe?” she had asked, slight irritation evident in her crossed arms and cocked brow.

“No, but that doesn’t mean I can’t take a shift now and then,” Ororo had countered.

“I appreciate it, I do, but really there’s no need to go all maternal. I’ll call you later.” She crossed her heart.

“You’d better.” Ororo hugged her tight. “If you need me, use this.” She gave her one of the X-Comms.

“Will do. Now scat. You got people that need you.” Ali gestured towards the waiting plane.

Thinking about it now Ororo wished she had been more insistent. Alison was more than capable of handling herself, and had been doing it for years, but Ororo still felt very big sister towards her friend. Not to mention guilty for leaving those months that she’d been away.

The flight to the Academy had been rather somber and quiet. No one asked any questions and no information had been volunteered. Scott had piloted while Jean had cleaned and bandaged Lorna’s injury. Ororo had to admit that she was impressed with Jean’s bedside manner. She had been calm, efficient and polite. Not an easy thing to do considering that Lorna practically radiated her dislike of the red head. If Ororo had been picking up on it, then it must have been blaring in Jean’s head.

Thankfully the flight had only lasted a few minutes. Alex and Hank had met them on the roof of the Academy atop the double Helipad. The school had been apprised of the situation and notified en route by Scott to expect them, so a stretcher and staff were also waiting.

There had been a brief tense moment shared between Alex and Scott as the elder Summer’s passed Lorna, who was resting in his arms, to the younger brother. For the briefest of moments it had looked like Scott had been ready to flat out refuse to give up the woman in his arms, but then he did what he always did; the right thing and handed her over.

Ororo rubbed the back of her neck. Scott had made some genuine strides in loosening up, but some character traits were hardwired, and Scott’s code of right and wrong was one of them. It was wrong to want to hold Lorna when he had Jean and she was with Alex. Ororo had read the look on his face clearly. It was a mix of longing, guilt and acceptance all rolled into one.

They had waited at the Academy, under the watchful eyes of Ms. Frost, whose appearance lived up to her name. Stark white satin pajama bottoms and long sleeved top, white slippers, white robe, ash-blonde hair and pale blue eyes on alabaster skin. Despite her frigid appearance Ororo had found her concern for Lorna to be quite genuine as well as the hospitality in her offer to keep the X-Men over night .

Immediately that offer was rejected by Jean. “We need to return to our home. The Professor will have questions.” Her eyes rested on Ororo as she spoke.

“Questions that can wait.” Scott had said, his voice firm. “I think we all could use a shower and some rest. Thank you, Ms. Frost. We’ll be gone early in the morning.”

Ororo knew that he wanted to stay and see how Lorna fared in surgery and through the night, but he was also protecting her from Xavier’s wrath. The Professor would not be happy with her late night trip to Boston, or the repercussions. She was already on his shit-list for stealing his money and revealing where it came from. She was pretty sure this little incident probably rose her a couple of notches on the list. She was probably not far beneath Magneto by now.

All said and done, Ororo had to admit that she was the cause of a lot of the nights events. Had that bar fight not broke out, then perhaps the anti-mutant assholes wouldn’t have found the Rebellion; and had she not been so eager to prove herself and fight away the vulnerability left in her by Logan, then the fight most likely wouldn’t have occurred in the first place.

Even though Lorna had survived, the only damage being a collapsed lung; which was bad enough, as far as Ororo was concerned, she felt more than a little responsible for the injury.

Her face scrunched up as she recalled the way Lorna's body had jerked with the impact of the bullet and the horrible feeling of helplessness that she had felt as warm blood sprayed her face and she could do nothing”nothing!”to stop what had happened.

She closed tired eyes, swaying slightly, exhaustion creeping in. It had been a long day and a new one was only a couple hours off. Best leave the self-deprecating until morning. She was certain Xavier would be the cherry atop her guilty sundae. He’d have more than an earful for her to take in, that much was certain.

With a resigned sigh Ororo tilted her head to the side, pulling her fingers through the tangled mess that was her hair. She winced when she hit a snarl. She carefully began separating the knotted strands with her fingers. She was so concentrated on the tangle she did not hear the bathroom door open, nor did she see the shadow cross the frosted swirl pattern of the shower door. It wasn’t until the door swung open and a cold blast of air invaded the steamy stall did she snap her head up, startled.

Logan, naked as the day he was born, stepped into the stall behind her, closing the door with a soft click. His broad expanse filled the shower and Ororo was momentarily distracted by the spray of water matting dark hair to that muscular chest. He moved towards her. She held out one hand as though to ward him off. “Go away, Logan.” she whispered. “I don’t want to see you now.” It was a lie.

Silent, he snagged the wrist of her outstretched hand, tugging her towards him. She turned away but that only allowed him to press against the curve of her back. She struggled not to feel anything, fighting for control of her traitorous body, already aching for him. She inhaled a sharp breath when she felt his lips touch her shoulder, followed by the light friction of his tongue. Soft, warm, lingering kisses were placed along the curve of her shoulder, and neck, moving towards her ear.

She closed her eyes, tears clogging her throat. Too much had happened this night and she felt so raw. “Logan…please…” Please, what? She didn’t know. “Why are you doing this?” Ororo asked, her voice strained. “What is it you hope to accomplish? You don‘t want to be here, so go away.”

Logan kissed the nape of her neck, his lashes veiling his eyes. “I’m exactly where I wanna be.” He turned her, gently, in his arms. He touched her face, his thumb stroking her darkening bruise. His eyes flickered momentarily dark, then once more were storm cloud gray. He brushed her closed lashes with his lips.

Ororo’s fingers flexed on his slick forearms. What was he doing? She wondered frantically. Hadn’t he made it clear that he found her good for a fast rough and tumble, an maybe not even that, but certainly not this. She had no idea how to handle this. She was at a loss.

She resisted when she felt him pull her closer, but only for a moment. He cradled the back of her head in his large palm, tilting her head. She sighed, giving herself up to the wonder of his mouth as it settled over hers in a deliberately slow kiss. Oh, God…she was lost.

Logan lifted his head, staring at Ororo’s upturned face, his expression unreadable. He released her slowly. He reached for her shampoo, motioning with his finger that she turn around. She bit her lip, but obeyed, turning, too tired to argue or try and make sense of this strange behavior. Logan turned the bottle, pouring a liberal amount of the shiny goo into the palm of his hand before working it through her think mane. He took his time, massaging her scalp, running his hands the full length of her hair.

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to say right now,” she said as he worked.

Logan’s mouth quirked. “Words are overrated.”

His hands continued their steady scrubbing. Every once in awhile Ororo thought she felt a small kiss on her shoulders but she couldn’t be certain. The rhythmic motion of Logan’s hands were lulling her into an almost trance-like state. Her head dropped forward, and her shoulders relaxed.

She was turned again, allowing Logan to rinse the well worked strands. Satisfied that all of the soap was removed Logan bent past her and shut off the water. “C’mon.” He linked his hand with hers, opening the door.

More than tired and a bit stunned Ororo followed, watching the play of muscles beneath damp skin along Logan’s back. How he could look so powerful simply walking she’d never figure out. Untamed and male. She would be absolutely foolish to lose her heart to a man like him. He would surely break it into a million pieces.

Logan grabbed two large white towels from the small closet beside the shower. He shook them out with one hand, wrapping one around her torso and the other he tucked carelessly around his waist. “There we go.” He patted the soft material. He reached for her again.

Ororo halted him, pushing away his hands. “Stop.”

He stopped.

She paused, searching his eyes. “Why are you here, Wolverine?”

“I want to be.”

She gave him a long look. “So you said, but why? If it’s because you feel some sort of guilty obligation for not wanting me earlier than don‘t both--”

“Whoa, darlin’.” He shook his head, a scowl forming. “You got the wrong idea I that’s what yer thinkin’.”

“What else am I supposed to think?” she questioned. “You left me half ass naked on the side of the road.”

“You don’t understand.”

“You’re right about that. I don’t.” She tried to step away from him, to put some distance between them, but he was having none of that. One thick arm curled around her waist, pulling her up tight.

“Trust me, ‘Roro. That wasn’t the case.” His eyes were darkening.

“Well, then, explain to me what was the case.”

He shook his head in the negative. He had not fully gotten rid of the dangerous edge from earlier. The multiple fights had curbed it a bit, but it was still there and he honestly didn’t feel like waking the slumbering beast by thinking of how much he had wanted to dominate her and mark her and…fuck. He felt his cock twitch to life.

Ororo must have felt it too because she glanced down. She returned her gaze to his and he could see the caution there. “I’m waiting.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Ah, yes. Words being overrated and all.” Exasperation was evident in her voice.

“Hell yes, they are.” He pressed her closer, causing the white towel to chafe erect nipples. “’Sides, I don’t wanna talk.” His voice was dark seduction, washing over her in sinful invitation. He nuzzled her throat.

Ororo closed her eyes, her head falling back on a sigh. Wait, no. She jerked upright. “Stop. I can’t think when you do that.”

He looked at her, smug satisfaction on his face at her words.

“Don’t get too cocky,” she grumbled. “I’m so tired I probably couldn’t think straight right now if my life depended on it.”

Logan’s grip loosened and he nodded, hearing the fatigue in her tone and seeing it in her stance. “Let’s get you to bed.” He opened the bathroom door.

The bedroom was larger than the one she had at Xavier’s with a larger four poster bed and canopy. Gossamer ribbons fluttered against the dark wood.

“Girly.” Logan muttered, with a sneer.

“I’m a girl.” She reminded him.

“I know.” He watched her walk to the bed and the gentle sway of her hips. “without a doubt, I know.”

Ororo grasped the corner of the bedding and turned back the dark blue coverlet, folding it at the foot of the bed. She lifted the sheet, then glanced at Logan, who was staring at the floor beside the bed. Too late she remembered what was bedside.

“I was wondering when I’d ever see that hat again,” he commented.

She feigned surprise. “Well, look at that.”

He cast her a sly look. “Yeah. Look at that.”

She bent down, lifting the Stetson. She brushed the rim with her fingers. “Well, it’s yours. Here.” She tossed it onto the foot of the bed.

Logan made his way to the bed and lifted the hat. He rubbed the well worn material with surprising affection. He chuckled, giving her an enigmatic look. “How about you keep it,” he murmured, stepping beside her.

She blinked. “But it’s your favorite.”

He cocked his head. “Didn’t stop ya from stealin’ it.”

“No, I suppose not.” She admitted.

“So don’t get all bent when I wanna give it to you.” He placed it atop her head. “Besides, looks better on you than it ever did on me.” He leaned forward, brushing his lips over hers fleetingly.

Ororo didn’t know what to say, so she settled on, “You confuse the hell out of me.”

He rubbed a hand through his wild hair. “Yeah. Ditto.”

She stared at him. He stared back.

His mouth crushed hers, all at once demanding. Teeth tugged her lower lip, tongue sliding along the seam before thrusting deep, staking claim. He dragged her closer, murmuring something unintelligible against her mouth.

Ororo pulled away panting. “This is crazy. You make me crazy. I don’t know what to do. One minute you want me, the next you don’t, then you’re gentle, the next you‘re…” she trailed off.

“Burning,” he finished for her. He cupped her backside, grinding in a slow undulation.

All thought left Ororo in a rush. She drifted on a rising tide of lust, her body alive and tingling, the sensation wiping away the fatigue and jolting her wide awake.

Logan tangled his fingers in her snowy white hair, knocking the Stetson back to the floor. He marveled at the silken feel of the strands slipping between his fingers. If a person could capture a cloud and touch it, he was certain it would be that exact texture. He touched his mouth to hers.

“Logan.” She murmured his name, breathed it into his mouth. Her voice was full of sensual promise and hidden longing. He never tired of hearing it.

His body was rock hard, almost painful. She could do that to him so damn easily. One touch, one whisper could wipe away his control and leave him aching, aching, for her.

He dispensed of their towels with a quick tug. He kissed his way from her lips to her breast, his mouth suckling greedily. She made a soft cry, her hands clutching his shoulders. He backed her up slowly, laying her down onto the cool bed. His erection, thick and heavy pulsed with need.

His mouth found hers again, feeding on her sweet taste. She groaned throatily, the sound sending a shiver of pure lust through his body. She gasped when he parted her legs, his fingers moving over her damp curls.

“So soft,” he growled.

Ororo moaned, her hips arching off the mattress as Logan pressed a single finger deep. She sucked in a shaky breath when he probed her navel with his tongue. That breath became lodged in her chest when his next flick was against her wet folds. “Oh, God.”

Logan heard her cries, felt her fists tug at his hair but he was relentless. He sucked and flicked hungrily, savoring her taste and the increasingly frantic cries she was making. She was so slick and wet, hot and ready. He growled with his mouth still pressed flush to her center and Ororo shrieked. It was a most rewarding sound.

She was dying. Oh, sweet Jesus, she was dying! Sensation burst through her body as orgasm after orgasm tore through her, leaving her practically sobbing from the onslaught. “I can’t…Oh, oh, please…Logan!” She arced high, her fingers yanking his hair in a death grip. Lightning flashed through the windows and the roll of thunder that followed was deafening.

Logan rose above her, his eyes near black with hunger, a snarl of possession on his glistening lips.

He was waiting, she realized dimly, her body still shaking with the after effects of his skilled tongue. He was silently asking for her permission. “Yes,” she whispered.

Logan growled victoriously, giving one powerful thrust, surging forward, finding home. He winced as her nails bit deep into his shoulders, drawing blood. The scent ignited the smoldering embers from before and he shook with restraint. Damn it, damn it. He drew in ragged breaths, trying in vain to keep himself in check.

His harsh face was etched with dark desire. His teeth gleamed in the shadows, long incisors visible with his grimace. It was a terrifyingly erotic look that made Ororo breathless. He was so savagely beautiful in that moment she could do nothing more than stare up at him in wonder.

Logan was confused. He could feel the beast clawing at the surface, struggling to break free and Ororo should have been frightened beyond belief but instead she was staring up at him with such awe that he was momentarily frozen.

“Magnificent,” Ororo whispered, touching his face.

Logan jerked back. “Damn it, woman, don’t move.” His voice was guttural, torn from somewhere deep.

Ororo’s mouth curved slightly, bordering on wicked. “You mean like this?” She bucked her hips.

“Fuck.” Logan responded by ramming into her hard. “’Ro…” He didn’t want to hurt her. Didn’t want her to see what an animal he really was. He’d never shown anyone this side of him and Wolverine was dangerously close to breaking free. “You don’t,” he thrust again, “understand.”

But she did. Ororo was suddenly, instinctively certain that she knew why Logan had pushed her away before. It saddened her to think no one had ever shown him that it was okay to embrace the darkness within, that it was all right to feel that hunger and need. “It’s all right,” she whispered, touching his face again. He flinched like she had slapped him. “Logan, listen to me. It’s all right.”

Sweat dripped from his forehead. She couldn’t possibly know what she was saying, he thought. He needed to calm down, collect his bearings, slow things down. He needed to focus, that was all. He could get his shit under control. He could.

She smiled up at him.

Fuck! Logan clamped his fingers around her wrists and slammed them over her head, holding her helpless beneath his heavy body. He began moving in a hard, merciless tempo, his hips pumping furiously, pounding over and over. “I’m sorry.” his voice was harsh, sexy.

“Don’t be.” Ororo gasped, her body already approaching orgasm. “I understand.”

His hands tightened around her wrists. He stretched, plunging deeper. Ororo licked across the heavy muscles of his chest, her teeth scraping his nipple.

“God, baby.” He buried his face in the hollow of her neck.

Ororo’s body clenched when she felt the sharp sting of his teeth pierce skin. In that same instant her orgasm ripped through her, and her body convulsed, caught somewhere between pleasure and pain. “Logan!”

He released her wrists, wrapping his thick arms around her as he continued to piston toward his own release. He pressed as close as he could, his mouth open but no sound came out, the feelings too intense even for that.

Ororo felt him explode in hot spasms and finally a low sound was torn from him. It sounded like a coarse rendition of her name, but she wasn’t sure.

“Hold onto me.”

The request surprised her, but Ororo complied, hugging him even as he rolled to the side. They lay side by side on the bed, facing one another. His fingers shook slightly when he brushed her hair from her eyes. “Did I hurt you?” he asked quietly.

“No.” she smiled tenderly. “That was beautiful.”

He started to speak, but seemed at a loss. He blinked, swallowed, and tried again. “’Ro…you don’t have to…”

She placed her fingers over his lips. “Logan, shush. You talk too much. Haven’t you heard, words are overrated.”

His own mouth curved a bit at that. “I should let you get some sleep.”

She yawned. “Yeah.”

Neither moved.

“So,” Ororo asked mildly. “Which side of the bed do you prefer?”

Logan didn’t care to contemplate the warm flare that erupted in his chest at that moment, and instead said, “Here’s fine.”

“Good.” Ororo yawned again, snuggling closer.

Logan, befuddled, shifted so that she could rest her head on his shoulder. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d ever shared a bed with a woman for an entire night. It had always been a fuck ‘em and run for him. Soft breath stirred his muttonchops. Ororo was already asleep. Logan pressed a kiss to her forehead, enjoying the softness of her breasts and legs pressed against his. Sharing a bed wasn’t such a bad thing, he thought closing his eyes. Hell, a man could get used to it…
Now Comes the Night by windrider1
“Logan!” Ororo clutched the sheets in her fists, squeezing the sweat dampened Egyptian cotton like her life depended on it. She arched, tight as a bow, nearly screaming as she convulsed around the pounding cock embedded deep.

She honestly wasn’t sure how much more of this she could take. They’d been going for hours, ever since they’d arrived back from Massachusetts. After a surprisingly short reprimand from Xavier, Ororo had been dismissed to her room for the remainder of the day and night, a sort of grounding that she found grating, but not unjustified.

Leaving Xavier’s office she had headed to the kitchen to grab some fruit and snacks for her ’in-house’ punishment before making her way to the dorms. Ororo had been more than a little stunned to see Logan casually leaning against her closed bedroom door when she arrived upstairs. With one foot propped behind him and a black cowboy hat drawn low, shadowing his eyes, he had made a staggeringly enticing visual. Hearing her approach he had lifted his head and said, “Seein’ as how yer room bound for the next 24, thought maybe I’d come by and see if I could amuse ya.”

“Is that what we’re calling it?” she had asked, her voice tinged breathless. “Amusing one another?”

He held up a deck of cards. “Don’t know where yer mind went, but all I was hoping for was a friendly game of poker.”

“Riiiight.” Ororo fished her keys from her pocket and shooed him from her doorway. “I call your bluff,” she said over her shoulder, turning the key.

That had been nearly five hours ago and Ororo wasn’t sure she was even sane anymore. She trembled as her orgasm subsided into delicious little aftershocks ricocheting throughout her overheated body.

“Sweet Jesus,” the man bringing her to completion rasped the bastardized prayer against the side of her face, his lips pressed to her cheek. With a final deep plunge and shudder he rolled to his back, his chest rising and falling as he took in great gulps of air.

Ororo for her part remained face down on the mattress, turning her head towards her bedmate, not bothering to move the moist tendrils of hair clinging to her skin around her eyes. She was too damn tired to move and so pleasantly sated she didn’t want to. “Wow,” was all she was able to murmur.

Logan shot her a cocky smile, his dimple showing. He reached out, wiping the sticky hair from her brow. “Nineteen more hours of confinement. Whatever will we do to amuse ourselves,” he asked, his eyes glittering with mirth.

Ororo’s eyes widened. “How about we take a break, funny man. I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling kinda gamey.”

“Gamey?” One eyebrow quirked.

“Yeah.” She flopped to her back, one hand over her head, the other resting on her abdomen. “You know, less than fresh.”

Logan leaned close, burying his face in the crook of her neck and inhaled deeply.

“Ew. Gross.” Ororo shoved at his shoulder.

He leaned back, his mouth curved. “You smell good to me.”

“Mmm.” She touched his nose with her index finger, running it along the wide ridge. “Maybe this needs a tune up.”

He shook his head. “Nope.” He captured her finger, bringing it to his mouth where he sucked upon it lazily, trapping it between his white teeth.

Ororo, despite being thoroughly ravished felt the stirring of desire in the pit of her belly. Logan chuckled, a dark sound full of awareness and sinful temptation. He removed her finger from between his lips and propped himself up on one elbow.

“I could eat,” he stated.

Ororo gestured to her dresser where her kitchen snacks lay. “I have some fruit…” she trailed off, noticing the scrunch of his face that bordered on scowl. “Ok, so no to the fruit.” She shrugged.

“Tell ya what, darlin’, I need to take care of a few things so I’ll pick up some lunch and bring it back in a few hours.” He glanced about the room. “We can impromptu picnic on the floor when I get back.”

Ororo bit her lip. A bedroom picnic with Logan sounded nice, better than nice, it sounded fantastic, but she didn’t want to read too much into it. The last thing she wanted to do was start romanticizing what was happening between her and Logan. It was sex. Damn good sex, but still only sex, no matter how much she may wish otherwise.

And she did wish otherwise she had come to recognize that morning at dawn when Scott had come knocking on the guest room she occupied with Logan at Emma Frost’s Academy. She had not wanted to get up, not because she was tired, but because in rising she would be removing herself from the warm circle provided by Logan’s arms.

Falling in love with Wolverine would be a mistake, she tried to tell herself only to realize that it was too late. She had already fallen--and hard.

“You don’t have to do that,” she said, shaking herself of her inner thoughts.

Logan peered over the side of the bed, searching for his boxer briefs. He tugged them on before turning to face her. “You tired of my company or something?” It was said jokingly but beneath the surface there was a subtle tension.

“No more so than usual,” she replied with her own teasing smile.

“Hnh.” He placed his fists on the mattress, leaning towards her. “You could always tell me to go away,” he said huskily.

“I suppose I could,” she agreed, rising to her knees. “But would you listen?”

His eyes rested on the chocolate tips of her breasts. “Probably not,” he confirmed, touching his mouth to one peak.

Ororo gasped. “I thought you were leaving,” she reminded.

“I am.” He swirled his tongue one last time, forcing himself to back up. “I’ll be back.” He quickly donned his previously discarded clothes and gave her a quick, hard kiss on the mouth.

Ororo watched him walk out into the hall from the center of her bed. Once the door shut behind him she flopped back down, burying her face in her pillow and inhaling his musky male scent. Oh, yeah, she had it bad…

~XXX~


“This had better be good,” Logan said, sliding in to the corner booth of a small convenience store diner roughly twenty miles from the Institute. It was the same one he and Ororo had stopped at the day before around roughly the same time. Had it really only been a day since their bike ride and all the turmoil that had come after? So much shit had happened, it didn’t seem possible.

General Fury, seated opposite Logan in the booth and oblivious to Logan‘s inner thinking, sipped his steaming coffee with slow deliberation before replying. “Since when do you care, so long as you get some action?”

Logan scowled. Since there’s somewhere else I’d rather be, he thought but refrained from saying. He motioned for the waitress who provided him a cup of coffee. “What mess do ya need me to clean up now?” he asked when she departed.

“Always so pleasant,” Fury remarked. “No idle chit-chat, no hello, just straight to it.”

“Neither one of us is the type for anything idle, Nicky.” Logan commented with a feral smile. “So what d’ya got for me?”

The General reached into the briefcase beside him and withdrew a manila folder with a red
seal across the front. “A bit of hunting and tracking,” Fury told him. “A few days ago
one of my agents made contact with someone who we believe may know where
Magneto is hiding, or at least where one of his higher up cronies by the name of Arthur
Centino may be located. He’s a mutant with an unusual knack for good luck.”

“Good luck?” Logan flipped through the pictures.

“Yeah, he kind of defies the odds. Laws of probability always play in his favor.”

“He should play the lottery.”

“He has. And won; several. Blaire and he were longtime lovers only recently split. If
anyone knows where he is it’s her, but she has thus far given us the slip. We’re hoping you
can track her down and extract the information we need.” Fury slid the folder
across the tiled tabletop. “It’s near guaranteed that Centino is holed up with Magneto.”

“You’re still searching for ole helmet head?” Logan set his mug onto the table and picked up the folder. “Why waste the man power? He’ll make his whereabouts known sooner or later. The man has an ego the size of Texas; ain’t no way he’ll stay in seclusion forever.”

Nick nodded. “That’s the thing. We know he won’t stay hidden, if he would then that be another story. As it is, whenever he surfaces he’s sure to once again attempt world domination in the name of mutant kind.”

Logan shrugged. “You buck, pal.” Opening the folder, his gaze locked on the photograph paper-clipped to the inside cover. He swore violently under his breath recognizing the spiked haired brunette staring back at him with vivid aqua eyes.

“Her name is Alison Blaire,” Fury continued, seemingly oblivious to Logan‘s reaction. “We want her found.”

Logan didn’t say anything. He pulled out several more pictures. Some were of Alison before the dye job and with a young man who sported a glowing right eye. The words ‘Blaire/Centino’ were scribbled on the back of the pictures.

“Time isn’t much of an issue, but I’d appreciate results quickly. So far she‘s not been linked to anything directly, nor do we believe she is, so there‘s no need for you to assume she‘s dangerous. Although from agent Jenson‘s bruises, I wouldn‘t consider her harmless either.”

Logan leaned back in his seat. SHIELD was full of lame asses, he mused, thinking that if they couldn’t find what was right under their damn noses then she probably deserved to get away.

Fury cocked his head, his solitary gaze calculating. “You taking this?”

Logan nodded, getting to his feet. “Yeah.” He finished off his coffee. “I’ll give you a call when I’ve got something.” He mounted his bike, revving the engine before squealing from the drive and heading back towards Xavier’s. He had some questions for ‘Ro.


~XXX~



Ororo liberally sprinkled rose scented bath salts into the steaming water of her tub. After eating a small snack to tide her over she had decided to change her bedding and take a bath. There were only six rooms with private baths in the entire mansion and Ororo was insanely thankful that hers was one of them.

She did a little childlike “hot water” dance when she stepped into the skin reddening water but soon she sighed with contentment, resting her head against her bath pillow, allowing the water to soother her tender areas.

She washed her hair and rinsed it with an old ceramic water pitcher, enjoying the feel of the scented bubbles and warm water over her back. She sponged her skin, and sat back when done. Now that the maintenance was done she donned her earbuds and pressed play on her ipod, settling in for a good long soak.

“Storm?”

Or not.

Ororo opened her eyes. “One sec, Scott,” she called, rising.

“What was tha--Oh.” Scott stood in her room, visible due to her open bathroom door, clearly flustered at having walked in on her bath. He should have looked away, but the sight of such a beautiful woman standing with water running down her body, the shimmering liquid playing homage to curves and hollows, as steam curled about her ankles was riveting.

Ororo placed one hand on her hip, slanting her friend a sly look. “Are you going to just stand there gawking or be a gentleman and hand me my robe,” she teased, pointing to terrycloth robe hanging from the door handle.

“Sorry.” Scott flushed scarlet. He handed her the robe. “You should put warning signs up. Something like ‘Caution: seriously hot female ahead’.”

Ororo laughed as shrugged the material over her shoulders, knotting the belt. “What brings you by?” she asked, stepping from the bathroom and closing the door behind her. If she was lucky this wouldn’t take long and she could get back to her rose scented bath before all the heat was gone.

Scott hesitated, his gaze flicking back towards the bathroom. “It can wait. You’re in the middle of something-”

“Scott.” Ororo chided. “You came here for a reason, so tell me. What’s on your mind?”

“Lorna.”

“Ah.” Ororo nodded knowingly. She picked up her hairbrush from her dresser, knowing that she would not be returning to her bath anytime soon.

“Here.” Scott took the brush from her fingers. He tossed one of her decorative bean pillows onto the floor, motioning for her to sit. Once she complied he took a seat on her bed behind her. He worked the brush through her long strands.

“I’m listening,” she said softly when he had yet to speak.

He sighed. “I don’t know what I’m doing anymore.”

Coming from Scott that single statement was profound. “Well,” Ororo said, choosing her words carefully. “What is it you’re feeling?”

“Confused.”

She tilted her head. “So I gathered. Are you and Jean still having problems?”

“Depends on what you mean by problems?” he said evasively.

“I mean problems, Scott. It’s not a trick question.”

“Sorry.” He bent and kissed the top of her head. “I sometimes forget that you don’t play those games.”

She smiled, appeased. “You mean where you say one thing but mean another kind of game? Yeah, I don’t like those.”

“Me either.” He continued to brush, the rhythmic motion soothing to both. “I think Jean’s messing with my head,” he blurted.

That one caught Ororo by surprise. She knew Jean was capable of emotional manipulation but straight up mind manipping seemed a bit much, even for her. “Really?”

“I can’t be sure. But maybe.”

“Scott, that’s something you need to be damn sure of.” Ororo cautioned.

He nodded. “I know. But it’s not like I can come right out and ask her.”

“Why not?”

“Huh?”

“I said, ‘why not?’. If you can’t be open and honest with one another then it’s already too late.”

Scott sat quiet for a moment. “What about you?”

“What about me?”

“I saw Logan leave your room earlier and I know he stayed with you at the Academy of Tomorrow.”

“He did,” she confirmed.

“So, what’s the story?”

“There is no story.”

“Right. What was that you just said about games?”

Ororo blushed. “Fine. The truth is I don’t know what the story is.”

“No?”

“No.”

Scott ran his fingers through her hair, separating the strands. “Well, how do you feel about him?”

Ororo leaned to the side so that she could see him over her shoulder. “Wasn’t this supposed to be about you?”

He shrugged. “Perspective. You can help me gain perspective through your own experience.”

“You are so good at bullshit, Scott.”

“It’s a gift.” He smirked, tugging her hair. “Now spill.”

“How do I feel about Logan?”

“Yes.”

Ororo took a deep breath, then said in a rush. “I think I love him.”

In the hall, one hand over the doorknob, the man in question froze. He had arrived at the mansion only a few minutes ago, and had immediately headed towards Ororo’s room. His temper had been irked when he scented Scooter in the room with her, but hearing a snippet of conversation told him that One-Eye was merely whining about Jeannie. Deciding that he didn’t care if he interrupted Scott’s lamenting he had been prepared to enter, but the topic shift gave him pause. He couldn’t help eavesdropping a bit when he heard his name.

“I think I love him.” Ororo’s soft words tore through wood and skin and punctured straight through to his heart. Logan stepped back away from the door as though it had burnt him. Shit.

He ran one hand through his hair, blowing out a long breath. Damn it all to hell. Love, he had figured out long ago, was an emotion to be avoided. It caused complications. Made people do stupid fucking things. He didn’t ask for it, didn’t want it, and sure as shit didn’t give it.

So why in the hell did his heart rate just double? And what in the fuck was that goddamn clench in his gut all about? Bad roadside café coffee, he told himself. That was what that was. Sure, Bub.

Inside the room Scott’s hands stilled. “Shit,” he echoed the other man’s thoughts.

Ororo grimaced. “I know, stupid right?”

“No.” Scott said reluctantly. “I’m sure there are things to love about Wolverine.”

Ororo laughed quietly. “Wow, that had to have hurt.”

“A bit.” Scott teased back.

“So, back to you,” Ororo changed the subject. “What is it you’re feeling about Lorna?”

“Attraction. Desire. Longing.” Scott admitted out loud for the first time.

“Well, she is beautiful, so attraction and desire are pretty easy to produce. Longing, eh?” Ororo contemplated that for a minute. “Is it Lorna that you long for, or the feeling of unconditional love that only happens in youth?”

Scott thought for a moment. “A bit of both, I think. With Lorna it was so easy. We were happy and she was satisfied with me…and only me.”

“Ah.” Ororo tilted her head back. “Now we’re getting somewhere.”

Scott smiled ruefully. “It always comes down to him.”

Ororo’s smile dimmed, as did her eyes. Jean and Logan shared history, that much was irrefutable, and unavoidable and that history was something that she felt had nothing to do with her current situation involving Logan, but hearing Scott‘s words made her question that. Despite her best effort to fight it off Ororo still felt foreboding unease settle over her like a blanket.

Logan didn’t like how silent the room behind the door had gotten. Clutching the file from Fury in his hand Logan rapped on the door, deciding not to barge in unannounced. “’Roro.”

Ororo shifted, placing her elbow on Scott’s knee. “Could you give me a minute?” she called in return.

Scott shook his head. “It’s okay, I need to get to the hangar and run some tests on the Blackbird and X-wing.”

Ororo gave him a questioning look.

“For some reason the communication is off and the planes aren’t syncing up properly. Could be something simple like a relay switch or a bad circuit, but I’d like to rule out faulty programming or wires and I am boring the hell out of you,” he grinned. “Sorry.”

She laughed. “Don’t worry about it. Hank could go on for hours about that kind of stuff.”

“I imagine.”

She allowed him to help her to her feet. “I used to joke that if his computer had a vagina drive that I would have been obsolete.”

Scott snorted. “That is so not right.”

“I know,” she walked him to the door, smiling. “But sadly true. Lunch tomorrow?”

“It’s a date.” Scott brushed her lips with his. “Thanks for listening.”

“I don’t feel like I was much help.”

“You were.” He smiled. “Just knowing you care helps.”

She hugged him. “I do care, Scott. Don’t ever forget that.”

Outside the door Logan growled. His eyes raked Scott up and down when the taller man emerged from the room.

“Wolverine.”

“One-Eye.”

“Oh, brother.” Ororo reached past Scott and grabbed Logan’s forearm, yanking him into the room. “I’ll catch you tomorrow for lunch, Scott.” She closed the door.

Logan immediately crowded her back against the wood, sniffing. “Smell pretty,” he grunted.

Inordinately pleased by that, Ororo still couldn’t help but tease. “Me bathe.”

“Hnh.” Words were useless tools Logan thought staking his claim and plundering Ororo’s soft mouth. Action was definitely more his thing.

A soft, content sigh passed through her damp lips when he drew back. “Hi,” she smiled dreamily.

“Hey.” He rubbed his thumb over her bottom lip. He shouldn’t feel so damn satisfied that she responded to him the way she did, but he couldn’t help it.

“What’s that?” she asked, noticing the folder in his hand.

He handed it to her. “We need to talk.”

“About?” she questioned, opening the file, only to have the answer stare right back at her.

“You tell me.” Logan’s voice was speculative.

Ororo perused the contents of the file, shaking her head in absolute denial. “Ali is not in league with Magneto.”

“Chances are yer right, but she may know people that are.” Logan allowed.

“Ali knows a lot of people.” She shut the file aggressively. “So do I for that matter. Doesn‘t mean anything.”

“The man in those photos supposedly works for Magneto.”

“Supposedly?”

“Unconfirmed.”

“A few pictures of her with an ex-boyfriend in Genosha are enough to make her suspect?” Ororo tossed the file onto her nightstand. “And what are you supposed to do? Confirm it?”

“Something like that.” He watched her pace. She was irritated.

“You’re way off here, Wolverine.”

Scratch irritated. She was pissed.

“Ain’t no harm in askin’.”

“No.”

One ebony brow rose.

“You aren’t interrogating her.” She stated, crossing her arms.

“’Ro-”

“No.”

“If you think she doesn’t have anything to hide, then why so defensive?”

“Because she’s my best friend,” she declared with an angry snap of lightning from her eyes. “I don’t interrogate or question the loyalty of my friends. I trust Ali absolutely.”

“Absolute trust in anyone is stupid,” he said with a scowl.

She turned away from him, her curtain veiling her face. “You would feel that way. Listen to me carefully, Logan. Alison is the only person that never tried to screw me over. Never played games. Never lied. Never backed out on me or ran away. She‘s trustworthy and loyal to a fault. I love her and I won‘t listen to you slander her in any way.”

He realized his faux pas too late, but that didn‘t stop him from making a second one. “You don’t need to be involved, ‘Ro. I’ll do this on my own. I won‘t ask you to betray your friend.”

She stiffened and asked without turning, “You’re going after her even though I swear to you that she isn’t involved with Magneto?”

“I’ll do my job, yes.” His tone was hard, unyielding.

Ororo felt like she had been slapped in the face. “You do what you have to do,” she told him. And so will I.

“’Ro…” He reached for her. “This doesn’t have to come between us.”

She shook his hand from her shoulder. “You’ll have to forgive me if I seem less than receptive to you right now,” she said. “But I want to be alone.”

Logan took a step back, surprised by how much that statement hurt him. “Fine.” He snatched the file from her bed. “I’ll be back later.”

“There’s no reason--”

He cut her off. “I’ll be back later.” There was no room for argument.

She nodded once still not meeting his eyes.

Reluctantly Logan left the room. They both needed some time to digest things. Ororo had to deal with the fact that he would be going after Alison regardless of her vehement assurance that the punker had no knowledge of Magneto. And he had to deal with the fact that he was terrified out of his mind by the fact that Ororo loved him.

He paused at the end of the corridor, glancing back towards her room. She was without her cell and house phone as a result of Xavier’s punishment, but he knew that she would try and contact Alison and warn her despite those facts, but he meant what he said, he wouldn’t ask her to betray her friend. He entered the elevator. He’d do this on his own and hope that in the end he hadn’t shattered whatever he and Ororo had together.

The instant raging thunderstorm prevented him from traveling on his bike. Logan lifted his eyes to the second story window, his gaze finding her easily. She raised a brow, her mouth a firm line. “Freaky weather we‘re having,” she hollered down to him.

He winced as quarter sized hail smacked him and the pavement. He saluted her effort and stomped back inside the mansion. She couldn’t keep it up forever, he figured. He went to the kitchen and grabbed a beer. She’d tire out eventually.

He popped the tab of his drink. He really disliked the idea of her exhausting herself to keep him from going after her friend. It also bothered him that she didn’t appreciate the fact that he’d shared the file with her. He could have gone off and left her in the dark, but he hadn’t. Why? He wasn’t 100% on that himself, but it had felt wrong to try and keep it from her.

Thunder shook the table.

“Geez, what’s up Storm’s butt?’ Bobby asked sauntering into the kitchen and heading for the snack cupboard.

Logan snarled.

Bobby held up his hands. “Okay, is it like national PMS day?”

Before Logan could threaten to slice the kid to cubes the doorbell, a massive gong like sound, reverberated through the downstairs.

Logan ignored it. Bobby took his cue from Logan and sat down at the table, munching some Pringles.

Again it sounded.

“For crying out loud,” Logan heard Jean grumble in the foyer. “No one get up and answer the door or anything.”

“That’s what women are for!” Bobby shouted before looking to Logan for a high five.

Logan made a face and shook his head, waiting for the inevitable redhead retaliation. He didn’t have to wait long. Bobby’s chair was whipped out from under him, causing the younger man to sprawl on the floor, chips scattering everywhere.

Logan gave him a mocking look. “Dumbass.”

“Can we help you?” Jean was asking, tension in her voice.

A shaky female voice responded. “Storm…I need to see…Storm….”

Logan stood abruptly, recognizing the singer’s voice. It looked like he wouldn’t have to go hunting, apparently his prey was walking right into his den. He moved to the foyer just in time to see a very bloody and battered Alison Blaire collapse into Jean’s arms, a knife sticking out from the center of her back.

~XXX~



Ororo clutched Ali’s pale, cold hand between her warm, sable ones. “I‘m so sorry,” she whispered brokenly. “Please, please forgive me.” Six hours after her dramatic front door arrival and there was still no change in Alison‘s condition, despite how much Ororo had willed for there to be. “I never should have left you.” Ororo felt a scalding tear slide down her cheek.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I need to finish up in here.”

Ororo lifted her head, regarding Jean with bloodshot eyes. “I should have been there for her.”

Jean pulled her stethoscope from around her neck and placed it on the stainless steel countertop. “Blaming yourself won’t change anything. Why don’t you go upstairs and get some rest or something to eat.” Jean’s voice was gentle.

“Not hungry.” Ororo watched as Jean, her gaze pensive. “Did you see what happened to her?”

Jean paused a bit taken aback. Ororo disliked the invasive nature of telepathy immensely. “You want to know if I saw into her mind?”

A nod and a choked sound. “I want to know what happened to her.”

“Why?” That was Xavier.

Ororo turned to face him. “Because whoever is responsible for this,” she gestured to Ali’s still form, “will answer to me.” Her eyes began to flash.

“You are understandably upset right now, Ororo, and I do truly identify with your desire for vengeance, but the X-Men must stand for a better way. We can not go on a rampage that will only incite retaliation upon retaliation. Violence merely begets more violence as a great man once said ‘The road--”

“Save it.” Ororo held up her hand. “I don’t need a speech. I need answers.”

Xavier’s mouth thinned. “You are clearly upset. I suggest you get some sleep and allow yourself some time-- ”

She cut him off again. “So you won’t help me?”

“Extract revenge?” Xavier’s eyes held sympathy but also determination. “No, Ororo. I won‘t.”

Jean glanced between Xavier and Ororo. The tension was so thick it was nearly visible.

The Professor met the redhead’s eyes and she nodded, hearing him in her head. Respectfully Jean lifted the blanket folded down to Alison’s waist and with great care she draped it over the young mutant’s face.

Ororo, who had been holding onto her control by a tenuous thread, screamed, her icy demeanor giving way beneath the onslaught of grief crashing over her. The finality of Ali’s death hit her then and there and she couldn’t take it.

Xavier, having read her turbulent and barely contained emotions from the hall was prepared for her outburst, shutting her mind off the second he felt the hairs on his arms raise.

Logan, who had also been waiting in the hall, moved into the room, catching Ororo before she hit the floor. It broke his heart to hear her scream, and it tore him apart that she hadn’t wanted him around after she had been given the news of her best friend’s death.

“No,” she had whispered raggedly in denial. “Ali’s too strong to die.”

“There was internal bleeding,” Jean had told them. “It’s amazing that she lasted as long as she did.”

“No.” Ororo had refused to believe. “Not Al.”

Logan had tried to reach her but she had hissed at him, “Stay away from me.”

“Storm.” Scott had moved to comfort her, but she had refused even his touch.

Now, holding her against his chest and smelling her tears that even sleep couldn’t stop Logan felt his own eyes mist over. He paused in the infirmary doorway. “She’ll need you when she wakes up,” he told Scott.

Scott lifted his head. “Where will you be?”

Logan’s face was the scariest Scott had ever seen it. “Hunting.” He glanced at Xavier. “No fancy speeches?”

“Would it stop you?”

“No.”

“Then I will conserve my energies for something better suited.” Xavier rolled forward. He placed his hand on Ororo ‘s forehead. “She will have a deep sleep. It is the best I can do for her.”

~XXX~


Nick Fury stood facing the view of the city he could see from his penthouse apartment. Lightning flashed across the sky illuminating the room and reflecting the man behind him in the glass. Nick turned, startled. “Wolverine, how the hell did you get in here?”

“You’ve got shit security.” Logan thumbed towards the door and the sprawled out, unconscious guards in the open doorway.

“I see that.” Nick stated, walking to his minibar. “Drink?”

“No, this ain’t a social call.”

“Then what brings you by? Already got that information I asked for?”

“Not exactly. Who else knew about the Alison Blaire/Magneto connection?”

“Why?” Nick poured himself a scotch.

Logan tried not to let any emotion show. “Because she just dropped dead on Xavier’s doorstep.”

Fury blinked. “Tonight?”

“Not twenty minutes ago.” Logan confirmed. “Beaten to death.” The knife in the back was more symbolic than fatal.

“What are you thinking?”

Logan stepped out of the shadows, revealing that he was dressed in his black and yellow X-Men leathers. A clear sign that he meant business. “I think someone on SHIELD is playing ya.”

“Double agent?”

“Probably. Any new recruits?”

“Not lately.”

“Mutants?”

“Aside from you? None.”

“I don’t exactly work for SHIELD.” Logan reminded him. “Scan ‘em.”

Nick took a drink of his scotch. “I can’t scan everyone. The financial backing needed for a division wide scanning--”

“Not all of them. Only those that had direct knowledge or access to the Blaire file.”

“You think Magneto has infiltrated our organization?” Nick was incredulous.

Logan was dead serious. “The man is methodical and patient. He leaves nothing to chance, Nicky. I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“And you think he had Alison Blaire killed?”

Logan shook his head. “No.”

Fury frowned, not following. “No?”

“No. Not his style. If she was dolling out the information on his whereabouts then I could see it, but as it was you said she was elusive and less than divulging. Whoever killed her did it to send a message.”

“What message would that be?”

“Not sure exactly.” Logan placed his hand to the glass window, watching the lightning play off the clouds, thinking. A knife in the back usually stood for betrayal, but if Alison wasn’t giving up the information than who was she betraying? That was, if she even had the information. Ororo had seemed certain that Alison was in no way involved with Magneto.

He thought back to that afternoon, realizing for the first time that Ororo swore up and down that Alison didn’t have ties to Magneto. She never said anything about an involvement with Centino or histies.

Logan turned to Nick. “Any of your men from Genosha?”

“Brody Anderson, why?”

Logan’s gaze gleamed, lightning reflected off the glass in their depths. “Because he needs to account for his whereabouts this evening.”

~XXX~


“Anderson!” Fury pounded on Brody Anderson’s front door. No answer. Somewhere down the deserted street a dog barked.

“Allow me.” -snikt- Logan extended his middle claw, wedging it between the door and frame, slicing down. The door swung open revealing a dark interior. “Something smells.” Logan grumbled, sniffing.

Fury could smell it too. Like burnt flesh. He stepped back, drawing his weapon. “After you,” he motioned with his head.

Logan’s five other claws emerged with a near silent -snikt- into place. They stepped through the threshold, moving in trained formation across the small foyer, into the living room and beyond.

The smell was coming from the kitchen. Logan moved stealthily across the carpet, sniffing. “Got something.” He flipped the kitchen light.

“Jesus.” Nick covered his face with his shirt.

Lying on the floor, his skin nearly melted from his body and a phone fused to his hand was the corpse of Brody Anderson. Logan took in the scene, asking, “Looks like he was on the phone when lightning traveled through the line.” he surveyed the floor. “Too bad he was standing in a puddle of coolant leaking from his fridge.”

Nick moved around the body. “So the guy gets struck by lightning through the phone while standing in a puddle of highly flammable coolant.”

“Yup.”

“What do you suppose the odds of that are?”

“Vegas odds.”

“Yeah.” Fury was contemplative. After a few moments he dialed his cell. “I need a clean up at Brody Anderson’s home.”

Logan continued through the house, up the stairs and to the bedroom. He caught the smell of blood coming from the hamper. He lifted the lid, pulling out a black ski mask and gloves, covered in Alison Blaire’s rhesus negative. His hands bunched into fists, the urge to kill renewed.

He returned downstairs carrying the articles of clothing. “Here.” He shoved them towards Fury. “Your man killed Alison Blaire.”

“And now he’s dead.”

“Looks that way.” Logan headed for the door.

“Where are you going?”

“Where I’m needed.”

~XXX~




She was suffocating.

Ororo thrashed wildly, trying to escape the darkness smothering her.

“Easy. You‘re alright.”

Logan.

“Oh, thank God.” Ororo sat up, gasping for breath. She was in her room, she realized. For some reason Logan was seated beside her on a folding chair. He had taken over vigil a little over an hour ago, relieving Scott, who was currently on the phone with Lorna, relaying the bad news.

Ororo clutched her hand to her chest. She gave him a weak smile. “I had the worst dream.”

He said nothing, smoothing her hair behind her ear.

She studied his deep set eyes. Slow dawning suffused her foggy thinking and her face crumpled. “It wasn’t a dream, was it?” She hiccupped. “She’s really gone?”

Logan nodded solemnly.

“My Ali is gone.” Fat teardrops spilled over dark lashes.

Logan moved to the bed and pulled her into his arms.

“Aliiiii,” Ororo wailed, her hands gripping his shirt into tight balls of tear soaked fabric. “Nononononononono.”

Logan rubbed her back in slow circles, simply holding her while she wept. After a time she shuddered, her tears ceasing. “Who?”

He didn’t have to ask what she meant. “A man named Brody Anderson.”

“Where is he?” her voice was raw and glacial.

“Dead.”

“You?”

“I wish. No. Looks like a freak accident.”

“How freak?”

“Defies the laws of probability freak.”

“I see.”

Did she? He wondered. How much did she know about Centino? Now was not the time, he knew, so he placed the question on the backburner for another time. For now it was all about helping her grieve.
Desolation by windrider1
It should have been raining.

The sky was dark. Heavy clouds, burdened with rain, rotated over the upstate New York cemetery, their deluge withheld by a force of will. Logan’s eyes roamed the sky before they came to rest on the silent woman beside him. Dressed in a mourner’s black two piece suit Ororo stood stoically silent as the coffin containing her best friend was lowered into the ground and the minister’s “Ashes to ashes…” whispered over the small group of people graveside.

Alison’s former band mates were among those present as well as Scott, Lorna, Alex, Henry and a few other people that had known or known of the singer. Local reporters stood a few feet away, snapping photos of the casket, the minister, and of the sad faces surrounding them.

Vultures, Logan thought angrily. News of Alison’s death made headlines more as a result of her mutantcy than anything, and speculation ran heavy that the attack was hate related. Already politicians were using this “unfortunate incident” to fuel campaigns in both directions of the mutant right debates, the ‘hot button’ issue of the upcoming elections.

Ororo heard the minister, saw the other mourners, and sensed the cool dampness clinging in the air but all she felt was emptiness. Ali. She closed her eyes, the grief too intense, stealing her breath.

Three short years was all they had known one another but in that time they had forged a bond tighter than sisters and more spiritual than either was comfortable putting into words. The term “soul mates” came to mind, and a truer phrase was never coined.

Logan felt Ororo tremble beside him, but she made no sound. He hadn’t heard her speak more than a few words in the past two days. Her eyes, normally the color of a clear afternoon sky were continuously sapphire dark and red rimmed. Her lustrous hair and skin lost their familiar glow. She appeared drained, as if her very essence had been stripped from her body.

A subtle scent on the air wafted up to his nose causing him to glance down. Slowly, so not to startle, he reached for Ororo’s clenched fist. She barely seemed to register his touch, much less the large thorns gouging her palm. A drop of blood slid along her hand, falling from her fingertips to the petals.

His voice was a husky whisper against her temple, “’Roro, it’s time…”

Ororo blinked, realizing that several sets of eyes were resting on her, waiting. She swallowed hard, stepping forward to toss the white rose, now splotched with her blood atop the polished wood of Alison’s casket as it sank into the shadows of the ground. I love you, Alison. You made even the darkest times bearable with your beautiful light. You are my shining star, and I will love you forever.

She stepped back and Logan pulled her into the shelter of his arms. Her shoulders shook with silent sobs. It hurt so much. “I don’t want to let her go,” she whispered brokenly.

Logan, infinitely gentle, cradled her head against his shoulder. “I know.”

Ororo choked on a sob when the first shovel of dirt hit the wood. She clutched Logan’s arms, her legs threatening to give way. “I’ve got you,” he whispered.

Scott moved from his position beside Lorna and Hank so that he came along side of Ororo. He nodded to Logan before placing his arm around Ororo’s waist, lending her his strength. For the first time since they’d met, all differences between the two men were set aside and together they offered their friend comfort as best they could.

~XXX~


She felt wooden.

Empty.

Soulless.

Ororo sighed softly pulling her pillow onto her lap, her eyes distant as she gazed out of her bedroom window across the yard. Ali was dead and buried and she didn’t know how to deal with that. Didn’t want to deal with that. She wanted to curl up on her bed, close her eyes and go to sleep and when she awoke everything would have been a horrible nightmare and Ali would scold her for being a ridiculous flake and life would go on.

But she had been to sleep and awoken, and each and every day of the past twelve days was exactly the same. Painful emptiness that seemed unending and of which there was no reprieve. She knew without a doubt that the hole left in her heart by Alison’s departure would never be completely mended no matter how much time passed, or how many people assured her that eventually the pain would ebb.

Liars, the lot of them.

The sun was just beginning its creep over the horizon, it was early yet, but Ororo knew she would not be getting back to sleep. She crouched on the floor, searching under her bed for the lock box she had been issued after Ali’s funeral. It was the only thing Ali had specified in her short will. It still surprised Ororo that Ali had even had a will. She wasn’t exactly the plan for the future type of gal.

She tugged the silver box from its resting place. Inside lay a bunch of scribbled notes regarding Genosha, Arthur Centino, pictures and a few love songs. Nothing life altering it appeared, but the box and its contents were more precious to Ororo than the finest diamond ever could have been.

Although Alison’s murder had been labeled “case closed” by the local authorities and SHIELD Ororo felt that it was far from settled and had begun a bit of puzzle piecing. Who was Brody Anderson and why had he killed Alison? Had he worked alone? Why hadn’t Ali come to her for help?

Ororo removed a picture of her and Ali from the box. It had been taken at a karaoke bar after a rousing and a bit off key version of Earth Wind and Fire’s Shining Star. They were both three sheets to the wind and laughing hysterically at something nonsensical. They looked happy. They had been.

Before Ororo’s arrest, Jean’s break out recruitment effort and Ororo’s decision to fight the good fight for the betterment of humanity she and Ali had been inseparable companions. She had even asked Ali to join the X-Men with her, but Ali had declined. “Playing hero’s not really my thing,” she had said. “But you’ll make a great vigilante.”

She touched the photo gingerly, almost as if she were afraid it would shatter if she pressed too hard. “What were you hiding from me, Al?” she asked quietly.

Logan shifted on the bed, drawing her attention. His large, adamantium laced frame caused the springs to groan their displeasure. His eyes were closed but she knew he was awake. He always woke when she did. She placed her photographs and papers back in the box, and shoved them back under the bed. She took a moment to study Logan’s face in the early light. He was rugged, edged hard from years of a hard life. He had a strong chin, sinful lips, a constant whisker shadow, defined cheek bones and a pleasantly crooked nose.

His face held a wealth of character that an artist would give their right arm to capture. Hell he simply had more character than anyone she’d ever met, and more depth of soul than she had ever realized.

Their relationship, or whatever it was to be called, was changing once again. She wasn’t certain into what, but she could feel it. A rift was forming between them. In the wake of everything else she wasn’t sure she could handle any more changes, but she seemed helpless to stop it.

Logan had yet to leave her side since Alison’s death. His presence kept her from going crazy and had given her an anchor, though she had still not told tell him how much it meant to her that he was simply there. He gave up all of his free time for her, catering to her, bringing her food, making conversation, holding her. But her time of selfishness needed to pass.

She knew her impenetrable grief was taking its toll on him. His demeanor had undergone subtle changes that told her more than words ever could that he was as confused and lost as she was, unable to break through the shroud of misery she had cloaked herself in.

She could not bring Ali back to her but she could at least release Logan from the vortex of despair she seemed trapped in. She owed him that much for attempting to keep her safe from the suffocating darkness.

Logan could feel her eyes on him. The desolation he knew that he would see in their depths prevented him from opening his own eyes. He cursed himself for that cowardice. She needed him, and he was more than willing to be a shoulder for her to cry on, but he was unaccustomed to someone else’s pain becoming his pain. Pain was something he’d always had to deal with, lived with, it was easy to adapt to it…or so he thought. Her pain was a relentless tearing at his heart leaving him feeling more wounded and raw than he could ever remember feeling.

The implications of that were terrifying. It made him want to run.

“I know you’re awake.” Her voice was flat, without inflection.

He reluctantly opened his eyes. He didn’t say a word. He didn’t have to. She saw it all in that unguarded moment.

He sat up slowly, smoothing his wrinkled tee shirt over his washboard stomach. He looked ready to speak, but she held up her hand, halting the words. “I think it would be best if you went back to sleeping in your room.”

He hated the flare of relief he felt. “You sure?”

She nodded, hoping he didn‘t catch the sheen in her eyes. “We could both use some space right now.”

He didn’t like the way that sounded. “’Ro--”

She attempted a smile for him. “It’s all right.”

Logan warred within himself.

Ororo stepped forward, touching his arm. “Go.”

“I’m right down the hall if you need me.” he said.

“I know.” She nodded. “Thank you.”

He stood, brushing his lips against her hair. She could almost feel the rift between them widening beneath her feet.

She fought the urge to call him back when he reached the door. She had to turn away, unable to watch him walk out.

He glanced at her over his shoulder but she had already turned her back to him. Dismissing him.

She heard the latch click and closed her eyes. She hadn’t believed anything else could hurt her, but she had been wrong.

~XXX~


“I want answers, Nick.” Logan paced his bedroom floor, his cell phone pressed to his ear. He toweled his wet hair, switching ears. “I don’t want to hear that. One of your men killed a mutant, General. How do you think the President will feel about that? That‘s what I figured you‘d say. I’ll be at your office in an hour, and I’ll want results.” He snapped his phone shut.

It was dangerous to push Nick around, the man only bent so far before he rammed something down your throat. But Logan had some leeway, given the “phantom” missions the good General had sent him on. With what he knew Logan could take Nick Fury’s career and flush it if he chose. It was his trump card. Not to say Fury didn’t have an extra Ace or two up his sleeve. He waved pieces of Logan’s past around like dog treats for tricks performed.

Logan paused beside his window to draw back the curtain. Bright sunlight made him flinch. A bit of overkill, eh, darlin’? He knew damn well she was overcompensating, pretending not to want to crawl under a rock and hide from the world, but despite that fact he couldn’t help but be relieved to see the sun once more.

He was already kicking himself in the ass for leaving her alone in her room, but he had needed the break. It was like self evisceration being in that room and watching Ororo die from the inside and knowing that nothing he did made a damn bit of difference to her.

As if thinking about her materialized her Ororo stepped into the drive beneath his window. She had changed from her drab gray sweats into a pair of jeans and long sleeved jersey shirt. She was speaking to someone behind her, shaking her head. Scott appeared a moment later carrying a picnic basket and checkered blanket.

Logan frowned realizing that he and Ororo never got to indulge in their impromptu picnic. He pushed down the rising tide of jealousy he felt that Scooter was getting the picnic and Ororo out of her room. It didn’t matter who brought her around, so long as someone reached her.

She was teetering on an edge he was certain that even she was unaware of. He’d been on that edge and he knew from experience how hard the fall was. He wanted to protect her from that if he could, but to do that she’d have to let him in. Right now she was letting him around. There was a distinguishable difference between the two.

With a look of grim determination Logan dressed and headed for the garage. He had people to see.

~XXX~


“Here?” Scott asked from his shaded position beneath one of the grand oaks dotting the estate property.

“Anywhere’s fine.” Ororo said, shielding her eyes and looking around. “Where’s Jean?”

“She’s coming.” Scott shook the blanket into the air. “You know I’m really surprised you asked her to join us.”

“Why’s that?” Ororo asked, distracted.

He cocked his head. “Uh, no reason. None at all. I must have imagined the tension between you two.”

“Must have.” Jean said, appearing from the sky. She was getting really good at telekinetic flight. “Hey.” She smiled tentatively at Ororo.

“Hi.” Ororo’s gaze met hers, steady and speculative.

Jean’s rust colored brows lowered. “Oh.”

“Oh?” Scott asked, placing the basket on the blanket.

Jean turned away from Ororo’s gaze. “Nothing, honey. Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Nope. All set.” Scott replied, setting out condiments.

“Okay then. I think Storm and I will take a walk if you don’t mind.”

Scott paused in emptying the basket. The idea of Ororo and Jean alone made him a bit nervous he had to admit. “I’m almost done…”

“We won’t be long,” Ororo assured him.

Feeling like there was an exchange that he was missing Scott nodded. “First crack of thunder or freaky bird screech I’m coming after you two.”

“Agreed.” The two women said in unison.

Scott watched them walk towards the lake. “This can’t be good,” he muttered to the mustard.

At the lakeshore Jean spoke first. “You won’t like what you see, Ororo.”

Ororo bent and picked up a flat stone. “I need to know,” she countered, sending the stone spinning in skips across the still water.

Jean gnawed her lower lip. “I really shouldn’t…”

Ororo reached for her hand. “Jean. Please.” She beseeched the telepath. “Please.”

“Xavier will have my hide.” Jean said, but she was already caving.

“Naw, you’re his pet,” Ororo said. “Besides, I don’t think even the Professor can take on your teke.”

Jean’s mouth quirked. “I wouldn’t lay odds to that. The man is incredibly crafty.” She took a deep breath. “This might feel weird.” She placed her hands on either side of Ororo’s head at the temples. “I need you to not go defensive on me, okay? I don’t want to be jolted into a coma.”

“Alright.” Ororo said, also breathing deep.

Jean leaned closer, “Remember what I said. You won’t like it…”

“Who the fuck are you?” Alison stood in doorway of her apartment, backlit by the hall light, keys still in hand.

“Where’s Centino?” A voice asked.

“Oh hell no,” Ali said with a scowl, light beams shooting from her fingertips. “We left you on that goddamn island!”

Brody Anderson dodged the concentrated light beams and came up from his roll across the floor, his fist connecting solidly to Ali’s chin. She staggered back, knocking over her silver tray of black candles.

She wiped the back of her hand across her mouth. “That all you got?” WHAM! She was hit from behind. She fell to her knees where she received a bone breaking kick to the side. She rolled, trying to crawl away.

“Where is he?” Anderson grabbed a handful of her spikes, pulling her head back, his knee in her spine.

“Go to hell!” Ali shouted, light erupting from every pore of her body.

“Damn mutie!” The second attacker yowled as the vivid light display blinded him.

It wasn’t enough. Anderson had been prepared for her light show and was wearing protective eyewear. He punched her in the back of her head. He rolled her onto her back, straddling her. He locked one beefy hand around her throat, forcing her head still.

Ali defiantly met his eyes, blood staining her nose and lips.

Anderson lifted a knife from his booth sheathe. “Mojo wants his star back. I’ll only ask you one more time, bitch. Where is Centino?”

Knowing that it they would kill her regardless of what she told them Ali ground out, “Go fuck yourself.”

“Fuck myself? That’s the best you got?” He smacked her. “You’re kinda cute. I’d fuck ya of you weren’t a dirty mutie.”

“God bless defective DNA,” she grated, struggling beneath the heavy man straddling her.

“Hey!” the second man called out, apparently having gone back to rifling through her apartment. “Look at this.” He handed Anderson a framed picture.

“Well, well. Who’s this?” He turned the picture. “She a mutie too? White hair says she is.”

“Bad dye job,” Ali grunted, trying not to panic.

Anderson chuckled, a low sadistic sound. He smashed the glass and ripped the picture out. He flipped it over. “Me and Ororo, shit-faced and loving life,” he read aloud. “Awww,” he mocked. “Cute. Bet Mojo would love her on the show. Won’t be too hard to track her down looking like she does.”

“No!” Ali’s struggles increased, her ribs killing her, literally as Anderson squeezed his thighs. Ali felt something puncture, blood filling her mouth. “Shit,” she gasped.

“Damn.” Anderson frowned. “Keep looking,” he told his companion. He pulled a small camcorder from his belt pack. He flipped the screen and the small light caused Ali to flinch. “One down,” Brody Anderson said once the red light was lit. “I have hunted and taken the kill on Alison Blaire, Longshot’s beloved Dazzler.”

Ali’s eyes began to glow. “I ain’t dead yet, fuckwad!” She focused all her energy on his chest, beams shooting from her eyes and smashing him against the wall. She struggled to her feet, staggering against her couch. Window, she needed to get to the window. Fire Escape. Get to Storm. Warn her. Tell her everything. Mojo. The Game. Everything.

She punched the glass, climbing through the broken pane, uncaring that she tore her hands and pants.

From inside the apartment Anderson groaned. “Get her!”

Ali was nearly free and clear of the window when she felt searing pain between her shoulder blades. The blade made a sickening thunk as it hit, sending her careening over the ledge and onto the grill of the fire escape. She tried to reach the blade, couldn’t, decided to move instead. Forgoing the steps she leapt over the rail, falling nearly three stories to the pavement.

“Uuuhhhnnn, fuck.” She rose shakily. “Storm…help me…”


Ororo landed on her backside, her hands waving frantically in front of her blind eyes. “Ali!” Ali, Oh God, Ali…

“Breathe, Ororo, breathe.” Jean was slowly coming into focus. The blurry redhead was crouched in front of her, her hands steadying Ororo’s shoulders. “Breathe.”

Ororo gasped and wheezed, her mind still trapped between the here and now and Ali’s last memories. “Can’t…can’t…” She gagged.

“I tried to tell you.” Jean’s voice was sympathetic. “Don’t try to talk, just focus on breathing.

“She needed me.” Ororo clutched her chest. “She needed me.”

“Storm, you can’t beat yourself up over what you can’t change.”

“He wasn’t alone.” Ororo closed her eyes, collecting herself. “He wasn’t alone.”

“I know.” Jean nodded.

Ororo stood, taking the hand Jean offered. “I shouldn’t have shown you--”

“Thank you.” Ororo interjected. She meant it. “Tell Scott something came up.”

“Wait, where are you--?” She was already gone. “Damn it,” Jean swore. She had a feeling she had just unwittingly set a timer on a bomb.

Ororo soared across the sky back towards the mansion, her eyes glowing glacial white. She had a name. She had a target. Mojo.

“Kitty!” She hollered striding through the halls.

“Yello?” Kitty popped her head through the girls’ bathroom door.

“I need your help.” Storm…help me… She flinched imperceptibly.

Kitty stepped fully into the hall. “Name it.” She said enthusiastically.

Ororo motioned for her to follow. “Do you still have access to the FBI and SHIELD databases?”

“What?” Kitty blinked owlishly. “Ororo, I am shocked you would think-”

“Do you?” Ororo cut it sharply.

“Yes.”

“I need you to find me as much information as you can about a person called Mojo.”

“Like Austin Power’s Mojo?

Ororo paused. “I really have no idea.”

“Ooookay. Mojo. Anything else?”

“Yes. Arthur Centino.”

“Will do.” Kitty saluted her like she was a Captain. “Uh, ‘Ro?”

“Hm?”

“You wanna make your eyes stop doing that creepy glowy thing?”

Ororo inclined her head. “Not really.”

“Oh. Well okay then. I‘ll get back to you if I come up with anything.” Kitty backed away and through the wall.

In her room Ororo pulled out Ali’s silver box once more. She would review every scrap of paper in there with a fine tooth comb. If there was something hidden within the box’s contents she’d find it.

She hadn’t been there to save her friend, but she’d damn sure avenge her.
Longshot by windrider1
"Here."

Ororo glanced up from the snippets of paper scattered across the floor in front of her, reaching gratefully for the cup of coffee Scott held out to her. It was a little after 2 a.m. and she was still perusing the clippings and pictures from the lockbox with bleary eyes."Thanks."

Scott took a seat on the floor to her right, crossing his long legs. After a few minutes he asked, "Anything I can help with?"

She shook her head, sending loose tendrils of hair dancing across her bent shoulders. She sipped the hot coffee before responding. "Everything. Nothing. I don't know." She sighed with frustration and weariness.

Scott reached out with one hand to rub her shoulder, offering what little comfort he could. "Maybe there's nothing there to find," he hedged.

She lifted one of Alison's many pictures of Arthur. The attractive blond man was grinning at the camera, holding a large, obviously fake, fish up like a trophy. "No. There's something here. I just have to find it." She replied resolutely.

"Maybe you're too close to this, Storm." Scott's voice was gentle. "Jean told me about what you saw. Maybe you should take a step back”"

Ororo turned frosty eyes on him. "I appreciate the concern and the coffee, Cyclops, but if you don't mind, I'd like to be alone."

Scott flinched at the harsh emphasis she put on his codename. He rose reluctantly to his feet. "You've lost a dear friend, and that sucks, believe me, I know. But if you keep acting like you are now, putting yourself in seclusion and locking the rest of us out, you'll lose even more."

She tensed subtly. "Is that some sort of threat?"

He looked hurt by that accusation. "No." He slowly made his way to her bedroom door. "Just remember that you're not alone, Ororo. We're all here for you. I'm here for you." But she was already ignoring him, her focus once more intent on piecing together the puzzle before her. With a heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach Scott closed the door behind him.

Jean met him in the hallway, her green eyes full of concern. "How is she?"

He tossed the closed door a look over his shoulder. "She won't let me in."

Jean nodded knowingly. "It's not just you, hon. She won't let anyone in. She's still hurting. Give her time, she'll come around." Gently she touched his face with the tips of her fingers.

Scott wasn't so sure about Jean's assessment, but refrained from commenting. He had never seen anyone look so cold and distant as Ororo had looked only moments ago. It was like Ororo wasn’t even in there anymore; she was a shell, running on autopilot. With one last worried look at the closed door Scott walked with Jean down the hall.

Inside her room Ororo was paused over a worn photograph. She tilted it back and forth under her desk lap, appraisingly catching a glimmer of what looked like numbers and a few letters written in silver ink. She grabbed her steno pad and jotted the digits down. They made no sense off hand, but she was determined not to overlook anything.

She yawned, stretching her arms over her head. The coffee wasn't doing much good. She didn't imagine much of anything would do her any good at this point. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d had a full nights sleep., but it was the exhaustive feeling of emptiness that she couldn’t shake, no matter how hard she tried that wore her down.

A soft thud caught her attention. Familiar booted footfalls sounded in the hall, making her heart stutter. Ororo had not seen Logan since the previous morning when she told him to go back to his room. She missed him, but she didn't regret sending him away. He had enough demons in his own life, he didn't need to be battling hers as well. Without intentionally meaning to, she had somehow made her way to the door. She rested her head against the wood, her palm flat beside her cheek.

Her breath halted in her chest as the footsteps approached, wondering if she would. in truth. be able to turn him away if he knocked on her door. Somehow, despite her inner "right thing" pep talk, she doubted it. She knew if he pushed her she would cave. She couldn’t risk that happening. She needed to do this for Ali. Fight for Ali. Avenge Ali. Bringing some justice to her friend’s murder would not alleviate the guilt she felt at not being there for her, but it was a purpose at least.

Outside her door the heavy footfalls paused for a heartbeat, then were once more receding down the corridor, this time at an increased pace. Ororo closed her eyes and let her breath out, and with it a whisper of intense longing, "Logan."

Key in hand, outside his own bedroom door, Logan paused. He listened to the stillness for a moment, and then shook his head, deriding himself for his wishful thinking. He tossed his jacket on top of his bureau before pulling his t-shirt over his head. It, along with his pants, landed in a jumbled heap in the corner of his room, beside his dresser.

He stretched his arms over his head, and then shook them out. With one last listen for a voice he almost desperately wanted to hear, Logan flopped back onto his bed, his hands behind his head, contemplating everything that he had learned from Nick Fury to keep his mind off of the woman down the hall.

Alison Blaire's death was, in fact, the direct result of her association with a mutant terrorist named Arthur Centino; a man whose hatred of humans rivaled, if not surpassed Magneto's. How involved Alison had been with Centino's activities remained unclear, but it was a sure bet that Centino had been keeping tabs on her. Responsibility for Brody Anderson's `accidental' death was most assuredly his, and Logan couldn't say that he blamed the guy. He knew, without the pretense of doubt, that if anyone ever hurt Ororo that they would suffer by his hands, and suffer at length.

As for Centino's hatred of humans, Logan didn't condone it, but he also didn't have the right to condemn the guy for it either. For a man that had spent the majority of his remembered past as a hired assassin, killing indiscriminately, for money, and for Magneto, he was hardly the person to point fingers.

The fact that he was striving to atone for his sins did not negate their existence in the first place. A hard truth to live with, but one he accepted a long time ago.

Fury had also told Logan of many attacks on Genoshan government officials that were credited to Centino, and the sheer odds the man faced on several occasions were staggering, yet he had always gotten away. He was obviously not a foe to be taken lightly.

When asked why Centino hated humans so much Fury had clammed up, stating that, "The direct reason behind Centino's vendetta is unknown." A line of bullshit if Logan had ever been fed one, but he hadn't pressed. He would when and if he had to, but right now he was
simply surveying the situation to get a feel for how deep Alison had been involved and if seeking retribution on her behalf was called for.

He knew Ororo wanted revenge, hell, you could taste it in the air just being around her, but he also knew from experience how hollow it was. If he could he would see that she never had to taste that bitter emptiness.

He closed his eyes, rolling to his side and staring at his wall. He only hoped she'd let him help her when the time came. He wasn’t sure she would. She was so much like him sometimes it was uncanny, and he knew for a fact that he would loathe for anyone to see him hurting like Ororo was hurting. She was withering on the inside, and he, along with everyone else, was helpless to stop it.

~XXX~


Kitty Pryde stood hesitantly outside of Ororo's bedroom door, shifting her weight from side to side, her hand poised to knock. She had waited until the hall was clear before venturing forward with disc in hand. What she was about to share with her friend she knew would upset her. Hell it made Kitty furious, so she could only imagine how Ororo would take it. Deciding to bite the bullet and face Storm rather than drop the disk and run, Kitty rapped against the frame. "Storm, it's me. Kitty."

The door opened almost immediately almost as though Ororo had been standing just inside it. "What'd you find?"

"Well, hello to you too." Kitty griped reflexively.

Ororo cocked her head, and repeated the question.

Resigned to the fact that Ororo was anything other than friendly at the moment, Kitty held up the small silver disc she was carrying. "You're gonna want to be sitting down," she cautioned.

Ororo snagged the disc from Kitty's fingers. She marched across her room towards her rarely used PC; Kitty followed, closing the door behind her.

"What exactly am I watching?" Ororo asked after a moment, confused by the commercial for Trident gum.

"Wait for it," was all Kitty replied with.

Ororo didn't have to wait long; a moment later a large, rather disgustingly obese man came onscreen. He wore a tailored blue suit and red tie. His pale, pale face and hair were practically glowing. "Today we have a real treat for you folks at home. On today's show, we'll introduce our newest contestant. A teenage runaway mutant that thinks she's too cool for school."

Ororo glanced at Kitty, who had her nose scrunched at the `too cool' comment. "What the heck is this?"

"A reality show." Kitty stated, her eyes still on the monitor. "Kinda like Survivor, only worse."

"Who's the bad Jabba impersonator?" Ororo asked pointing.

"Mojo." Kitty said quietly.

The air crackled as Ororo swiveled her head towards the screen once more. "That's Mojo?" she hissed, her eyes stark white.

"Yes." Kitty had to consciously tell herself not to phase, the look on Ororo's face scaring her so much that she very nearly, instinctively did.

"Ok, Kitty. Fill me in." Ororo watched as the screen swirled and images of men, in full commando gear flashed before her eyes. The names beneath the "soldiers" read like bad action hero games; names like: `Mad Dog Murray" and `Butcher Malloy' spun past.

Kitty, expecting to have to regale all that she had learned, began, "This game show, as sick as that sounds, is all about hunting mutants. For sport."

Ororo grit her teeth and took a calming breath, reigning in the lightning snapping at her fingertips. "I'm listening."

"The fat Jabba-Mojo-guy seems to run the program. His name is everywhere in the credits. Anyway, it's all about survival. They take mutant `criminals' and place them on this island where they are hunted like…like…"

"Animals," Ororo finished for her.

Kitty nodded, her throat tightening with anger. "Yeah. Anyway, the odds are stacked against the mutants; they have no weapons, other than their powers, no food, no shelter and no warning. The hunters go in shifts, so they are playing constantly 24 hours."

Ororo was about to comment, but someone onscreen caught her full attention. She sat forward, her breath catching as a glimmer of golden hair and alabaster skin darted across the monitor. "Ali," she whispered, her mouth parted on a gasp.

Kitty felt the prick of tears in her eyes when Ororo‘s hand reached out to touch the screen. "This show is a few years old," Kitty informed Ororo. "Six years old to be specific."

Ororo didn’t look away from her monitor. "She would have only been seventeen. She never told me."

"I didn't figure she would." Kitty swallowed hard.

"Why wouldn't she?" Ororo didn't understand. She and Ali shared everything together. Alison was the only person to know that Ororo had witnessed her parents' deaths and Ororo was one of the few that knew Alison had a terrible fear of the dark.

Silently, Kitty leaned forward and key-stroked a few times. "I think I may know why," she said on a whisper.

Ororo fought back a scream of pure rage at the images playing out before her. Ali, her precious Ali, was pinned to the ground and one of the miserable sons of bitches hunting her was rutting between her legs while the other two laughed and video taped. Dead. They were all dead. Ororo forced herself to watch, to memorize the faces. She'd find them,
if it was the last thing she did, she'd find them.

As if sensing her thoughts, Kitty said, "You won't have to."

Out of the shadows onscreen a yellow flash erupted and a man, face partially revealed by his glowing eye dropped from the trees. It was over in less than a moment. The three men lay broken, and dead on the ground, their own weapons misfiring and killing them.

Gently the mystery man, although Ororo had seen enough pictures to know who he was, lifted a still struggling Alison from the ground, into his arms. He covered her with one of the hunter's wool blankets, rubbing her arms, asking her over and over if she was all right. When it became clear that she wasn't going to freak out on him the angry man picked up one of the camera's. "I'm coming for you, you fat bastard! You hear me? I'm coming after you!"

Ororo liked this guy already.

His status was cemented in her mind the next instant when he smashed the camera. The overhead studio cameras caught everything anyway and Ororo was moved beyond measure at how gentle and caring Centino was to Alison. He helped her dress, held her hand and let her cry and rage against him.

"There are more?" Ororo asked, deadly quiet, when the episode ended.

Kitty nodded.

"Bring them to me."

***

Several hours later as the sun touched the horizon Ororo finished the last of the episodes involving Alison and Arthur. Over the span of several seasons Ororo, along with whoever had caught the monstrosity of a show on its original airing, had been witness to a love that
defied description and endurance that boggled the mind. Arthur had helped Ali and she him. They had pushed and pulled one another, argued and loved despite the odds and much to the sick delight of the twisted TV show host.

Alison and Arthur's intimate moments together were broadcast as a Two Hour MojoVision Specials. The tragic miscarriage of their child was also broadcast as a special presentation. Each joyful grin and sick delight the fat bastard took in Alison and Arthur’s struggles made Ororo’s hatred of him grow.

Ororo had openly wept as Ali had tried to remain calm in the face of being hunted, Arthur's worry for her safety, and the wrenching loss she must have felt losing her baby. Ali, with her long blond hair, wide aqua eyes and fragile frame had been anything but; showing courage, determination and resilience even as it became apparent that Arthur was becoming more and more aggressive with the hunters. His kills were less about defense and more about anger and hate with each passing attempt on their lives.

Ororo couldn’t blame him. She wanted to kill already and she hadn’t lived through it. Each minute that passed Ororo became more and more resolute in her decision to find Mojo Adams and make him suffer--significantly. She knew Xavier would not approve of her motives, or her methods. It went against everything his precious X-Men stood for. It went against everything she had once stood for. She was going to hunt and kill Mojo Adams like the fat pig he was, and too hell with the consequences. Last time she checked, she wasn't an X-Man again anyway.

With fierce determination she turned off her computer and reached for the lock box.


~XXX~


"'Roro?" Logan knocked on the door. "You awake?" It was a little after eight in the morning and it wasn't like Ororo not be out of bed. He had planned on giving her a few more days of space, but found that he couldn't. He had spent a majority of the previous evening thinking about her and fighting with himself over his feelings towards her. It was lust--it was more…it was lust--it was sex--it was…beautiful. With her.

After hours of internal dialogue, in the end one steadfast fact had remained. He loved her. He didn’t know how, or why, nor did he care where those intense feelings came from, but he knew they weren’t the shallow trappings of lust he often confused with love. His emotions went far deeper than that.

He wanted to see her, needed to know that she was all right, and he needed for her to know that he was in it with her for the long haul, even if that meant wearing a few scorch marks for pissing her off and not giving her space or time."'Ro, open up." He pressed his head to the door, listening. Soft music was playing, and the window was open, he could hear birds outside and scent the fresh air. A cold feeling of dread pooled and balled in his gut. "I'm comin' in," was the only warning he gave before he shouldered through the door, splintering the frame.

The room was empty. No sign of Ororo. No sign of a struggle. No sign of anything out of the ordinary, really. Her closet was full, and her bed was made. Maybe she was out for a flight, or a jog. He could very well be overreacting. He cringed, thinking about how he was going to explain her busted door.

Foot steps, rushed and loud came pounding down the hall. As Peter ran past the open door Logan called after him. "What's going on?"

The large Russian paused, popping his head back around the corner. "The X-Wing just crashed."

"What?" Logan followed hot on Pete’s heels, down the stairs. Maybe Ororo had already heard the news and was downstairs with the others.

Xavier and Scott were speaking in the foyer, and if Scott's expression was an indicator, the conversation wasn't a good one.

"”We need to be certain," Scott was near shouting. It was the first time Logan had ever seen the boy scout get all up in Xavier’s business.

Xavier, quite calmly, stated, "I am certain."

Logan approached, his face dark. Deciding that Scott probably had a good reason for being upset Logan started with him. "Scooter?"

Scott, shoulders tense, turned. "It's not good, Wolverine."

"What's not good?"

“Ororo took the X-Wing”" Scott began.

"The one that just crashed?" It was Logan's turn to nearly shout.

"Yes." That was Xavier. In light of this new information, Xavier’s calm demeanor immediately pissed Logan off as well.

"Where is she?" he snarled.

"We don't know." Scott said through grit teeth. His ruby lenses glinted in the early morning light filtering through the lobby windows. "Last known location was somewhere over the Atlantic. Near Africa."

"What? Why the hell would she steal the X-Wing to go to Africa?" Logan demanded, his fists clenched. His knuckles itched.

"Homesick?" Bobby offered from his seat by the windows.

Logan turned on him.

The younger mutant held up his hands. "Just a theory."

"Do we have radio confirmation? Locator? Anything that can tell us where she is?" Logan demanded of Xavier. He recalled Scott working on the planes not long ago. The communication devices weren’t linking up properly or some shit. That made Logan all the more anxious.

"Logan," Charles began carefully. "The plane went down over the ocean…”

“Shot down.” Scott interjected.

“What!?” This time Logan did shout.

Xavier sent Scott a disapproving look. “It would appear so.”

Logan growled. "You or Jeannie, get on Cerebro and find her."

"I've tried." Xavier replied.

"Try harder." “SNIKT-

"Threatening me will not help the situation." Charles said, but he looked a bit ruffled. "I will continue to scan for thought patterns, but even under the best circumstances Ororo is difficult to locate and track due to her mutation."

"So, she could be all right?" Jean asked, hope in her voice.

Xavier sighed, his tension showing. "It is unlikely."

"But possible," Scott interjected. "Ororo is a highly adept pilot and can fly on her own. If she ejected before the explosion”"

Logan wasn't sure how much more he could take in.

"The plane has radar. Ororo would have known she was about to be hit. She could have made it out." Jean insisted, her eyes wide.

"When did this happen?" Logan growled. He forced the immediate, unwelcome gruesome images of Ororo broken and bloody from his mind. There was no time for that kind of thinking.

Jean answered. "Ten minutes ago."

"Then why in the fuck are we still standing here?”

"My thoughts exactly." Scott added, moving around Xavier. He tossed a look over his shoulder. "Suit up, Wolverine. We leave now."

"Cyclops!" Xavier turned in his chair. "You don't even know where to look."

Kitty rushed down the stairs. "I do," she panted holding up a disc.

All eyes turned towards her. She flushed but held their gazes.

"Explain it in the air," Scott ordered with a sharp bark. "Move people!"

Everyone jumped.

As the team raced down the corridor towards the elevator Xavier couldn't prevent his proud smile. Scott was a commendable leader, and though he rarely showed his stubborn side, and as unwelcome as it sometimes was, he was proving to be more than capable of taken matters into his own hands than even Xavier had hoped.


~XXX~


Approximately 4 degrees S and 55 degrees E Ororo clung to what remained of the X-Wing fuselage. She could feel the strength in her arms waning, but determinedly flexed her fingers, tightening her hold. Those assholes had shot her down. She still couldn’t quite believe that. They hadn’ even given a warning, just blammo! and down she went.

She closed her eyes against a spray of salt water. "This sucks," she said to no one, although in her mind she was speaking with a spikey haired punk rocker. Another wave slapped her face, making her splutter.

She coughed, her head falling back to glance at the sky. She could still see the smoke trail from her jet's freefall. She glanced down at her side where a three inch wide steel rod was protruding, the flowing blood sure to attract some rather nasty predators. "Perfect," she muttered.

A dull rumble of sound drew her attention. A small speedboat came into view, its dark shape moving closer. Ororo tensed as it slowed. She was in no mood to deal with scavengers or mutant haters, and from everything that she had learned via the game show, and her own welcome, it seemed Genosha was full of both.

She kicked her feet a bit in order to maneuver herself from view until she could determine whether the boater was friend or foe. Her boots connected with a large, swimming body”most likely a shark-- and she hastily scrambled in the other direction. Risking foe, she sent out a cry for help.

The boat driver cut the engine as he approached, gliding closer. "Where are you?" A scratchy voice called.

"Over here." Ororo lifted her right arm, wincing at the sting in her side. Her eyes scanned the water for Jaws. She silently commanded the boater to hurry.

The boat moved closer and a hooded figure bent over the side. Ororo looked up. A glowing right eye winked down at her. "Lucky for you I was out in the water."

Ororo took his outstretched hand. "Yes," she grunted as he hauled her onboard. "Lucky me." She collapsed against the wall, her eyes watching his every move.

The tall, attractive man crouched in front of her. "Usually I'm the lucky one."

Ororo inclined her head. "Well, this very well could be your lucky day…Arthur."

He didn't seem the least bit surprised by her arrival or her knowledge of who he was. With a chilling smile he said, "Call me Longshot."
Control by windrider1
Her black leather boots made faint squishing noises with each purposeful step she took, the sound high pitched and annoying. Despite that fact, or her bedraggled appearance, the water logged, white haired woman carried about her a presence that was commanding and dangerous.

Many of Longshot’s companions shot her curious glances before moving out of her way as she walked the dock beside their leader. After his timely rescue, Arthur had told Ororo that he was taking her to one of his many bases of operation. A small, abandoned warehouse on one of Genosha’s smaller island split offs. On the boat ride in she hadn’t revealed much, and instead had asked the scruffy faced mutant several pointed questions.

He answered most of them easily. Some he dodged altogether, but he gave her the impression that he wasn’t being intentionally deceitful, so she let the evaded questions slide. For the most part Arthur had seemed to be easy going. Mellow, charming, talkative. Something about his laid-back attitude made Ororo edgy. It seemed…unstable.

She stopped at the end of the floating plank, lifting her hands and swirling a stream of heated air about herself. She shook her tousled mane, drawing several appreciative glances from the dock workers. She gave the men an icy stare over her shoulder, more effective than an arctic blast. They immediately found other things to be doing.

She turned to Longshot. “Is there somewhere we can speak without an audience?”

He nodded, taking her elbow. “Step into my office,” he said grandiosely. His “office” was a small room in the front of the warehouse, full of crates and loose papers. He carelessly shoved a pile of papers to the floor, taking a seat on the cleared crate.

“Quite an organized little operation you’re running,” she muttered with a nose curl.

He gave her a shrug. “The things I need to know are all right where they belong.” He tapped the side of his head.

“Uh-huh.” She was more than a bit skeptical of that bold declaration.

“What brings you to my neck of the woods, Munroe?” he asked pointedly, his nonchalance giving way to the hard edged man she knew was brewing just beneath the surface.

Hearing him refer to her in the same familiar way Ali so often did made Ororo’s heart squeeze within her chest. She took a steadying breath, before meeting his eyes. “I think you know damn well why I’m here.”

Longshot reached behind him, lifting a bottle of Jack Daniels by the neck. “Alison.” He nodded. He took a swig from the whiskey then gestured the bottle at her in inquiry.

“No thanks.” She replied. She leaned back, watching him. “Tell me what you know about Mojo Adams.”

He took another long draw from the bottle. “Direct. She always said you were direct.”

Ororo stiffened. “You kept in contact with Ali?”

He wiped the back of his hand across his mouth. “More or less.”

“More or less,” Ororo repeated, guardedly.

“I sent her messages every chance I could.” He had a faraway look on his face. “Sometimes she sent word back.” He shook his head, clearing it. “Mojo is mine.” He said, his voice hard.

Ororo didn’t care who had dibs on the fat bastard, so long as she saw him suffer and die. She told Longshot exactly that. “I saw what he did to her. I want him to endure as much suffering as humanly possible and then some.”

“I see.” He put the Jack back behind him. He wiped his hands on his pants. “Well, then, let’s find you a room and get you comfortable.”

“I’m fine as I am.”

He shrugged again. “Well, I’m not. I’ve been on the water all damn day, I smell, and itch and am wet and cold. I feel like a hot shower, some warm food and possibly some good sex.” He lifted a glowing eye towards her. “If you can provide any or all of those things, then we’ve got something to discuss. Otherwise, I’ll see you in a few hours.”

Ororo scowled at the blond, who at the moment was reminding her just a bit too much of a certain feral. She fought down a pang of loneliness.

~XXX~


Kitty watched Logan’s face warily. She had just finished relaying everything that had transpired with Ororo and all the information that she had dug up on Mojo and his sick show. When all was said and done, Wolverine did not look happy. In fact, he looked downright frightening.

Fuckin’ Fury. That jackass had to have known all of this. Hell, if sixteen year old Kitty could track this shit down, then no way did SHIELD not know about it. A sick fuckin‘ reality show, using mutants as live game. He wanted to punch something. It made him sick with worry thinking that Ororo was trying to go after these assholes on her own, and in doing so she could be wounded or worse. “Fuck,” he growled aloud. “How close are we, Cyke?”

“We’re right on top of the plane’s last known location,” Scott tossed over his shoulder. The sky was dark and the waters inky. “Going infared.”

Immediately the front panel screen in the cockpit showed broken pieces of the X-Wing churning in the choppy sea. It had been decimated by whatever had hit it.

Logan barely contained his roar. “SonofaBITCH!”

Jean turned towards him, startled by his outburst. “Wolverine, calm down.”

“Jean.” He snarled. “Shut up.”

She closed her mouth.

He was in no mood to play ‘good boy’ and sit on his thumbs, especially if ‘Ro was down there somewhere fighting for her life. He clenched his jaw and flexed, his hands forming tight fists. I’m coming for you, baby.

“Brace for water landing.” Cyclops warned.

The red ‘buckle’ light began to flash and Logan sat back in his seat, snapping his five point harness into place, tapping his booted foot impatiently. “Come on, come on, comeoncomeoncomeon.”

Jean sent Scott a worried thought. Logan was damn close to losing it.

Scott nodded once. He knew.

~XXX~


Ororo yawned, stretching her hands over her head. She couldn’t believe that she had actually fallen asleep. She rolled onto her stomach, blowing wispy strands of hair out of her face. The small cot had proved surprisingly comfortable, and the lull of the waves just outside had lulled her.

She scratched her head, smacking her cracked lips. She could use a shower. She was rank.

The corridor was empty when she opened her door. She hadn’t really expected anyone to be right outside her room, gun in hand, keeping her under watch, but she wouldn’t have been all that taken aback by it either. These people were mercenaries and criminals. She would do well to remember that at all times.

She followed the narrow hall to a set of stairs. The rail was rickety and in desperate need of repair, as were the steps. She put her foot on the bottom stair and it creaked and cracked loudly. “Lovely,” she murmured, foregoing the steps and floating her way to the top.

The upstairs corridor split in two directions. Following her instinct she took the left hallway. She opened several closed doors, one time inadvertently interrupting a rather intimate moment between a pair of writhing mutants. “Sorry,“ she muttered quickly, closing the door. She glanced over her shoulder as she hastened her steps. That was one flexible girl, she thought with a shake of her head.

One of the double wide doors was ajar so she chanced a peek inside. She spotted Longshot beside a console of some kind, giving instruction. “Hey,” she called, pushing open the doors. “You roughnecks got a shower around here?”

He jumped a bit, turning towards her, and in doing so allowed her to see the screen that he was looking at. A dark, winged shape caught her full attention. “Is that the Blackbird?” she demanded. Onscreen was a visual of the ocean, the one of a kind jet floating on its hydro-pads as smaller watercrafts cruised around her plane’s wreckage.

She felt a twinge of guilt that they were out searching for her. She should have known her boys would try and find her. Ororo wanted nothing more than to ease their worry, but it was better if they remained uninvolved. Logan had enough blood on his hands, she couldn’t ask him to spill more, and Scott, though no innocent, need not take on her burden.

A small jet ski whipped through the waves at reckless speed, jumping high into the air. She knew who was steering it without visual confirmation. It was nearly impossible to ignore the kick in her gut and the inner voice that screamed at her to Got to him!

Longshot watched her face as she watched the searching X-Men. The man seated beside him asked, “Sir, do we fire?”

Ororo’s eyes widened and her head snapped around. “No!” She stormed forward. “You will not fire on the X-Men!”

Longshot halted her, grabbing her arm. “You have no say here, Munroe.”

She yanked her arm away, glaring at him, not afraid to go toe to toe. “Do not push me, little man.”

“They’re going to mess everything up!”

“They’ll leave when they don’t find me,” she assured him, though it was probably untrue.

“I can’t risk that. Better to eliminate the threat--”

“The X-Men are no threat!” she shouted.

“Says you. I say otherwise. They are as unwelcome here as any ‘flatscan’. Mutant killers.”

“What the hell are you talking about? The X-Men defend mutants!”

“They also protect humans,” he spat the word. “They enable the crimes against their own people to continue. They’re traitors.”

“Wow,” she said with scathing anger. “You really have spent time with Magneto.”

He didn’t reply.

“Sir?” The young man waited, fingers poised above his keyboard.

“No.” Ororo once again responded, her voice cracking with authority. “You fire on the X-Men and I swear will tear this place apart.”

Arthur seemed more amused than threatened by that statement. “You won’t.”

She felt her eyes go white and her voice frost over. “Try me. You harm the X-Men and I guarantee that I will split the heavens and wipe this building from existence along with you and everyone in it!”

“I do believe she means it.”

Ororo whirled, her heart thudding dully at the smooth, cultured voice directly behind her. “Magneto,” she breathed.

The tall, formidable legend of a man strode forward, his trademark red cape billowing behind him as he did.

Fast as the lightning she controlled, Ororo’s mind began seeking escape routes and if needed a plan of attack.

As intuitive as Xavier was psychic, Magneto smirked at her. “Don’t be foolish, child, you know you don’t stand a chance against me.”

True, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t put up one hell of a fight. She let her eyes say what she did not voice.

Magneto brushed past her, leaning over the console.

“No!” she shouted, grabbing his arm, preparing to send a few thousand volts through Xavier’s greatest foe.

He turned towards her holding out a microphone. “Radio them. Tell them to leave.”

She blinked rapidly, confusion furrowing her brow. She wasn’t the only one confused. Longshot straightened, his eye beginning to glow. “What are you doing?” he demanded, gesturing towards the screen. “They’re ripe for the picking. We take should take them out now.”

Magneto turned slate grey eyes on him. “Don’t presume to question me, boy.” His attention returned at once to Ororo, who still had hold of his arm. He thrust the mic out. “Do it. Tell them to leave. I know Xavier. He will not force you to return with them, as long as you are unharmed and of sound mind.”

She grabbed the microphone, glaring at the taller man. “You underestimate him, Magneto. That has been and always will be your downfall.”

He gave her the same slate glare he bestowed on Longshot. “And you underestimate me, girl. You have two options. Tell Charles’ little soldiers to leave, or watch as they are blown to bits.”

She glowered right back at him. “You think you have any missile that Cyclops can’t blast out of the sky from a mile away?”

“Do you really want to test the Boy Scout?” Magneto chuckled. “Fine, let’s test him. Missiles and torpedoes sound good.” He nodded to the man at the keyboard. “It’s always nice having my own nuclear sub.”

“Wait.” Ororo shook her head. “I’ll tell them.” Best they leave unharmed than risk having them injured.

Longshot threw up his hands. “You think they’ll just tuck tail and leave? Abandon one of their own?”

“I haven’t been one of their own in a long time,” she whispered. Ororo flicked on the mic, then gave the technician the specific frequency to use. She pressed the transmit button. “Cyclops, this is Storm. Can you hear me?” She waited.

A moment later a relieved voice carried over the speakers. “Storm! Damn, it’s good to hear your voice! Where are you? Are you hurt?”

“I’m uninjured, Cyclops.” Her leg still smarted, but that seemed significantly irrelevant at the moment.

“Where are you? We can’t track you.”

“You don’t need to. I’m fine. Stop searching. Go home.”

“What?”

“Go home, Cyclops.”

He paused and she could almost see him collecting his thoughts. She glanced at the screen but he was behind the bulk of the Blackbird so she was left without visual. “Not without you.”

She took a deep breath. She couldn’t abandon Ali now, not when she was in a position to avenge her. Her eyes flickered towards Magneto who was watching her intently. His steady gaze made her uncomfortable. She turned away.“Cyclops, listen to me, I’m not coming back. Go home. Tell Xavier that I appreciate everything and give everyone my best.”

“Storm, you are out of yer ever loving, god damn, fuckin’ mind if you think I’m leaving without you.”

A reluctant smile touched her lips. He sounded really, really pissed. “Hello, Wolverine.”

“Don’t you fuckin’ hello me. Where the hell are you?”

“Get off this frequency, Wolverine.”

“Shove it, One-Eye.”

“I’m handling this, Logan.”

“Bullshit, Scooter. She’s my girl. You get the fuck off this frequency.”

“Wolver”“

“Boys.” Ororo cut in. “Both of you get off of this frequency. I am not returning to Xavier’s and that’s final.” Her heart shattered in her chest. This was the hardest thing she had ever had to do, even harder than watching Ali’s casket being lowered. She was saying goodbye to the man she loved and her brother. It was killing her. She swallowed, nearly unable to continue. “The Genoshan government has been alerted to your presence,” she bluffed. “I suggest you leave before they arrive and the X-Men are involved in an international incident.”

She could feel the tension from the other end.

“Ororo”“

“Goodbye, Scott.”

“’Ro!”

She ended the transmission. Goodbye, my love.

Magneto smiled approvingly. “Well done.”

“Kiss my ass,” she said. “I didn’t do it for you.”

He laughed. “No doubt. But can you honestly tell me you wanted to stay with them, with the people that refuse to let you avenge your friend’s brutal murder. The people that let the crimes of her rape and defilement, her torture and isolation go unpunished? Is that the dream you want to fight for, Ororo?”

“I have no dreams anymore.” She shrugged his hand away when he tried to touch her shoulder. “I live only for vengeance now.”

Magneto’s smile was blood-chillingly cold. “That’ll do.”

Onscreen the Blackbird soared into the sky.

Ororo felt the last remnants of herself crumble to dust. Detached blue eyes rested on the Master of Magnetism. “I want Mojo.”

“And you shall have him.”

Longshot looked ready to speak, but Magneto waved a hand to silence him.

Ororo looked between the two men, then around the room, almost disbelieving the situation she now found herself in. With a great deal of self loathing she marched from the room, instinctively knowing neither man would follow.

With Ororo out of the room Longshot turned on Magneto. “What the hell was that all about?”

Magneto smiled his enigmatic smile. “Simple, ‘Shot. There’s an old saying ‘He who controls the weather, controls the world’.” Their eyes met. “Guess who now controls the weather.”

Longshot shook his head, frowning. “You’re a fool if you think for one second you can control her.”

Magneto simply shrugged. “We’ll see.”
Nothing is What it Seems by windrider1
Magneto had never been a foolish man, nor one to take chances. His entire life since his childhood had been carefully planned, meticulously calculated. He was a man of sublime percision and he disliked any variable that he could not account for or control. Only fools followed chance, and Erik Lensherr was no fool.

Once he was certain that Ororo was out of ear shot he called forth a quartet of his personal mercenaries. He began to walk from the room and they followed, forming a shallow arrowhead as they did so. Magneto spoke with succinct command. “Scan the area. Keep Wolverine away from here.”

Longshot cast Magneto an appraising look. “You think he stayed behind?”

Magneto’s eyes narrowed into slits, his posture tense. “I know he did.” He could not only feel the pull of Wolverine’s adamantium laced bones, but more than that he knew the man. Wolverine had sounded more than a bit determined to get to Ororo, and when the Wolverine was determined he was a force unto himself.

Magneto wondered briefly if he and the white haired weather witch had been intimately involved. Last he had known Logan had been harboring lustful intent for the redhead telepath, Jean Grey. She had been the reason Wolverine had betrayed Magneto and ultimately turned on him.

What delicious justice if Magneto could turn Ororo on Logan.

Rabbit, one of Magneto‘s mercenaries, gifted with a speed that rivaled Quicksilver’s asked, “Kill him, sir?”

The cloaked man smirked, his chuckle was cold and full of malice. “By all means you can try.” He turned, snatching up his cape, swishing it about his black, well polished boots as he did. Over his shoulder he called, “He must be kept away from here at all costs.”

All four mercs nodded solemnly. It went unsaid that they would lay down their lives for their leader. There was no hesitation from any of the men, instead they all looked only too eager to try and bag the elusive and legendary Wolverine.

“Longshot, with me.” Magneto demanded, his steps hastening.

With a scowl, Longshot followed Magneto through the dimly lit corridor. He swore the metal walls pulsed as the older man passed. “What exactly are we doing?”

Ignoring the question Magneto issued another command. “Prepare the copter to leave immediately.”

Longshot didn’t like the sound of that. He had worked hard to establish a clandestine base of operations close to Genoshan shore. Although he had worked with Magento before, he was not a member of the Brotherhood, nor did he like being ordered about as though he was one of the puppets Magneto orchestrated. “Why?”

“Wolverine.”

“But you just sent--”

“Four men to their graves.” Magneto cut in. “We need to get her out of here.”

“Why? She already chose to stay. You saw her, she only wants Mojo.”

“He won’t care.”

Arthur watched the older mutant speculatively, a startling revelation dawning on him. “You’re afraid of Wolverine.”

A look that could have been disgust washed over Magneto’s weathered face. “Don’t be ridiculous. I fear no man.” He snapped his fingers, two of his standard guards flanking him as he strode the hall. “We leave in five minutes, ‘Shot!”

Despite Magneto’s sharp denial, Longshot knew he had hit the proverbial nail on the head. Magneto was scared. Longshot glanced over his shoulder back towards the monitoring room, wondering what kind of man could make the most fearless mutant liberator and one of the world’s most powerful men on the planet tuck tail and run.

~XXX~


Wolverine hauled himself onto the dock, water sluicing from his face as he tore off the snorkel mask, tossing it aside carelessly. He panted, catching his breath. Swimming was not something that came easy for him; in fact it took a hell of a lot out of him to keep his 300 plus pound adamantium laced frame from sinking to the bottom of the ocean. It was akin to running back to back marathons for a normal human.

He coughed twice and blew a sharp breath from his mouth, spitting salt water. The click of readying automatic weapon caused his head to jerk up. Not twenty feet from him a man stood, armed to the teeth and waiting patiently for Wolverine’s attention. Mistake number one. Never give your enemy an opportunity to see it coming.

Wolverine’s teeth gleamed in a feral snarl. He flicked his hair back from his eyes. “Don’t want no trouble with you, boy.”

The wiry looking man steadied the barrel of his weapon at Logan. “Funny. I don’t much care what you want.”

Wolverine slowly started to rise, already scenting others nearby. “I’m just here for my girl.”

“Don’t move!”

A quick scan spotted the three other men hiding. One, tall and rugged, behind some crates, one by a boat and one other sneaky bastard was actually blending into shadows on the ground. “Let’s not do anything stupid,” Logan cautioned, a plan of attack already in place.

The wiry man cocked his head. “Heard you healed real fast. Let’s test that--”

-SNIKT-

Wolverine was in motion before the other man’s index finger so much as twitched. Fighting came easier than breathing for Wolverine. It was inherent, a part of his nature, cultivated and enhanced unnaturally by the government. It was beautiful and terrifying to watch him fight. He moved with fluid grace and deadly accuracy.

Wiry-man’s head rolled from his body onto the ground with a double thunk, blood spraying skyward like a crimson geyser. Quick as the others could blink, Logan reached into the pocket of his uniform and removed a flash grenade, lobbing it at the shadows. He didn’t bother to register the scream of the man the flash effected, instead he leapt into the air with the feral grace of a predator and sliced down the crates, effectively separating the other gunman from his right arm.

“Fuck!” The man screeched. He turned on Wolverine, opening his mouth and emitting a volatile gas.

Logan gagged, dropping back to get some space. “Listerine…” he gasped, his eyes watering against the nerve toxin spreading in his system. His healing factor, already in overdrive due to the adrenaline, quickly compensated.

A swipe of arm and the man lost his jaw. He gurgled, dropping to his knees.

Logan whirled, his teeth bared. “Next.”

The remaining mercenary stepped from behind the boat and smiled.

Logan tensed.

Two fire glowing hands spread apart. As Logan watched the man’s entire body began to glow, splotching with various colors. “For victory!”

Not good. “Shit.”

The docks exploded as the man clapped, self destructing and wiping out everything within 500 feet.

~XXX~


In her quarters Ororo tensed, feeling the ground shake. It wasn’t an earthquake--or anything else natural for that matter. She braced her hand on the wall, steadying herself. A sudden wave of unease washed over her and she swung open her door, greeted by Longshot.

“We’re leavin’.” He grabbed her arm above the elbow.

“What was that?” She demanded.

“Nothing.”

She glowered, arctic eyes swirling in warning. “Don’t lie to me. What was that?”

He tugged her into the hall, nearly frog marching her towards the far doorway. “Explosion.”

“Well, duh.”

“Then what the hell did you ask for?”

“What exploded?”

“Probably Vincent.”

She blinked. “What?”

Longshot stopped, his right eye beginning to glow in his irritation. “Not a what, a who. One of Magneto’s men.” His tone implied that he somehow blamed her for the man’s death.

“What’s the hold up, Longshot?” Magneto’s deep barritone called from the now open door.

“Nothing. We’re on our way.” He glared at Ororo. “Now come on!”

She began walking, still questioning. “Where are we going?”

“Where no one can find us.”

Ororo knew then. “The Savage Land.”

“Move it.” He didn’t confirm or deny.

“Why are we running?” But once again, she already knew the answer, instinctively. Wolverine.

Longshot held the door for her. “You’re not stupid, Storm. Stop pretending to be. The helicopter is waiting.”

Sure enough, outside the door, a few hundred feet away a helicopter sat, blades beginning a slow spin. Ororo paused, hesitating for the first time since her decision to avenge Ali. Could she do this? Could she go to the Savage Land with Magneto of all people? Could she betray everything she had believed in? Logan? Scott? Herself?

“You came to us, remember. Come on!” Longshot shouted, practically hauling her towards the copter. He looked past her shoulder, his eyes widening.

His sharp command to run caught her attention, and she turned.

Logan, bloody, burnt and still smoldering from whatever explosion he had just endured dropped from the rooftop. He landed with a thud, sinking to one knee. Silver was visible through most of his face and upper body. He had been blown to pieces.

Logan struggled to rise. A low growl tore from his throat, not anger, but pain. He refused to give up, however, and he wobbled to his feet.

“Oh, God,” Ororo whispered. Her heart, the one that she believed cold and dead in her chest, bled for him. Her ears roared with the sounds of the rotor as well as the ocean and her own heartbeat.

Logan reached out one hand. “’Roro…”

She started towards him.

“No!” Magneto shouted, his tone brooking no argument.

Ororo ignored him. Logan needed her. She broke into a run. “Logan!”

Through the red haze of the blood filming his eyes Logan saw Ororo sprinting towards him, her sweet voice hollering his name. “Baby…” he rasped, taking a shaky step. He was instantly flung backwards by a magnetic pulse, his torn body spread wide on the ground, causing him to scream in agony.

Ororo screamed with him. “No!” She whirled on Magneto. “Stop it!”

“Get in the helicopter!” Magneto ordered.

Logan screamed again, his claws extending involuntarily. “Aaauuuugh!”

“Stop it!” Ororo lifted her hand, lightning dancing from her fingertips.

“You dare threaten me, girl?” Magneto closed his hand into a fist and Logan convulsed, doubling forward. “Come. Now. Or watch him die. I wonder if I can peel that metal from his bones…”

Ororo for the first time since Ali died felt tears on her face. “Enough.” She dropped her hand. If she could get close enough she could subdue Magneto, she hoped. “I’m coming. Let him go.”

On the ground Logan struggled against the oppressive weight pinning him to the ground. “…’Ro…no.”

Magneto didn’t release his hold even once Ororo was at the door. “Don’t be foolish like that again, child.” He pressed his hand on her shoulder.

Ororo cast Logan’s form a longing look. I’m sorry. So sorry. “Let him go.”

“Very well.” With a flick of his wrist Magneto pulsed a wave of magnetic energy so strong it plowed Logan into the ground, sending him sliding into the building.

“Log--” Ororo blinked, her hand rising to her neck. She turned accusatory eyes on Longshot, who held a syringe in his hand. His eyes, were steady, as if willing her to understand some secret message. “You came to us,” was the last thing Ororo heard before she blacked out. Longshot caught her before her head hit the rail.

Magneto took a moment to gaze at the unconscious Wolverine. He could tear him apart. The urge was strong, overwhelming. He started forward, intent on doing just that when he heard the screech of the X-Men’s blackbird.

If he was to get airborne and out of range before they arrived again, he needed to move. And move now.

On board the helicopter Magneto gave the ground and Wolverine one last disgruntled look. “Damn the X-Men and their accursed timing. My revenge must be put on hold once more.”

Longshot nonchalantly examined his fingernails. “Must be his lucky day.”

~XXX~


“Ororo!” Logan bolted upright, his hand reaching out.

“Easy, Wolverine.” Charles Xavier sat in his wheelchair at the end of Logan’s bed. Scott was also in the room, leaning against the back wall, the look on his face murderous.

“What’s goin’ on?” Logan demanded. “Did we get ‘Ro?”

“No.” Scott said flatly. “But we were never intended too.”

Logan pushed himself off the bed to his feet, ignoring the lingering soreness in his side. “What’s that supposed to mean, Scooter?”

Scott straightened away from the wall. “You wanna field this one, Xavier?”

The Professor’s mouth thinned. Obviously there was some bad blood between Golden Boy and Mentor. Logan didn’t care about that, all he wanted to know was where ‘Ro was.

“Perhaps it would be best if you took a seat once more, Logan.” Charles began.

“I don’t wanna sit. I want some fuckin’ answers,” he all but snarled.

“Maybe I can help.”

Logan took a step back. In his doorway, dressed in black leather and looking surprisingly good for a dead girl, Alison Blaire offered him a crooked smile.


______________________________________________
To be continued in "Divergence"...
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=1706