To Survive by Gaineewop
Summary: Two years ago, in a state of grief over the loss of Jean Grey, Logan made a mistake. That mistake led to Ororo Munroe's resignation from the X-Men. After Charles Xavier is hospitalized, she returns. She has changed, as has Logan. How far will a person go to protect their heart...To Survive? (Post-X2)
Categories: NC-17 Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 68108 Read: 66590 Published: 06-15-06 Updated: 07-06-06

1. 1. Mistakes by Gaineewop

2. 2. After a Fashion by Gaineewop

3. 3. Caught in the Sun by Gaineewop

4. 4. Prita's Woe by Gaineewop

5. 5. Bad Form by Gaineewop

6. 6. Walk the Line by Gaineewop

7. 7. Rogue by Gaineewop

8. 8. First Steps by Gaineewop

9. 9. Best Laid Plans by Gaineewop

10. 10. Dance by Gaineewop

11. 11. It Burns by Gaineewop

12. 12. Diamond Sky by Gaineewop

13. 13. Time by Gaineewop

14. 14. Renegade by Gaineewop

15. 15. Bayou Battle by Gaineewop

16. 16. Closer by Gaineewop

17. 17. The End of All Things by Gaineewop

1. Mistakes by Gaineewop

Chapter One: Mistakes

This time, this place
Misused, mistakes
Too long, too late
Who was I to make wait?
~ Nickelback


Logan speaks:

It’s strange, what your mind chooses to forget as the years go by. Things like phone numbers, the name of that woman in the red dress, the scent of Scott’s attempt at making shrimp stew. I do remember the day everything changed with perfect clarity. The sight of her lifeless body on the cold rocks on the shores of Alkali Lake. Her red hair was matted to that pale, pale face. Beautiful lips frozen in death.

I can recall the scream torn from Ororo’s throat, the howl of Scott’s pain. I remember the way every tear felt as it slid down my cheeks. All these years later, that one moment in time is forever with me. I don’t remember the day before or the day following, but I do know every second of that day.

What’s worse? Remembering what happened in the weeks following. My life had been altered forever and how did I deal with it? I screwed someone else up, too.

I’m getting ahead of myself here. Yeah, I need to back up a little. Funny how after all these decades, I still know exactly what she smelled like that night. Honey and earth and rain and all those things that I love.

It was just a couple of weeks after Jean died, when we were all still drifting. I drifted right into trouble…


~**~

May 19th, 2004

“Should we be doing this?”

Her words left passion bruised lips on a husky whisper, one that sent an undeniable shock of heat from his heart to his lions. He pressed her body intimately into the door of her bedroom. Hands groped for any sliver of exposed flesh they could reach.

“Not likely,” he whispered. “But I don’t give a flying fuck.”

Ororo groaned against his neck, her teeth sinking into his already sweat-slicked flesh. His hand found purchase on her bare hip, the feathery cotton of her nightgown pushed up to her hips. She undulated into him, crooning his name in a way that definitely shoved any moralistic voice in his head to the side and gagged it.

“I am not her,” Ororo gasped as he massaged the skin of her thigh.

“Only people in this room are you an’ me, darlin’.”

She seemed to accept this, her nails scraping down his bare arms. The scent of her arousal mingled with the desperate clouds of pheromones wafting to his nostrils from her chocolate flesh.

Logan gripped her hips in a possessive manner, yanking her flush against him. He felt those impossibly long legs wrap around his waist, giving him easy access to thrust his hips into hers, grinding his cock against her center.

His needy lover gave a sharp cry as he tossed her onto the bed behind them. Her gown was easily wrenched over her head as he unbuckled his belt. Once his jeans pooled at his feet while she slid the flimsy excuse for panties down her legs.

The world could go hang for a while. He needed this. The driven lust for physical contact, the healing touch of someone who only demanded what he could give was intoxicating. Scents of want and unbridled desire had captured his attention the moment he found her in the kitchen.

She wanted him and for now, that would do.

Ororo beckoned him back to her, so he crawled up her lithe, long body until their lips met and every inch of their bare skin was pressed together intimately.

Time seemed to stop for them, for this moment when pain was no longer an option. He could breathe here, in this place of complete safety. Neither knew what the morning would bring, but for some unknown reason, it didn’t matter.

He took her swiftly, entering her warm, receptive body with almost no resistance. She cried out when he filled her, arching her chest closer to him in offering. He captured one taut nipple in his mouth, tonguing it until she crooned his name.

Logan underestimated her, but he laughed when he found their postions suddenly reversed. Growling his approval, he watched her breasts swing enticingly as she braced her hands on his chest, lifting her body carefully. She slammed back down with aching speed, making the fire building in his belly scream for release.

In the dark, his mind betrayed him. Short white locks and piercing blue eyes were replaced by a mane of fire red and warm green orbs. For a moment, she was alive for him.

Confusion crossed his features, making him shake his head as though to clear it. Just as he reached his peak, Ororo following swiftly, the betrayal made itself known.

“God…Jean…”

Both writhing bodies froze. Logan watched, damning himself to hell and back, as those desire-filled blue eyes turned stone cold. He thought, for a moment, that she would electrocute him, as was her common empty threat.

Instead, the African beauty above him merely nodded. Too weak and horrified to try stopping her, he only watched as she swung her legs off of him. The tangled sheet was quickly gathered around that glorious body.

“Consider this a favor.”

Her words were as cold as the air crackling around them.

“’Ro…wait.”

She ignored him. Logan winced when the door slammed off of its hinges as she made her escape. He lay back down against the pillows that smelled of honey and rain.

Tomorrow, he would make things right. They could still be friends; nothing more needed to come out of this. Tomorrow, everything would be back to normal.

~**~

April 12th, 2006

“I’ll see your ten and raise you…five.”

“Call.”

“I’m out.”

“Call.”

“Read ‘em and weep, boys.”

Logan grinned around the cigar pinched between his teeth as his friends threw down their cards in disgust. His full house had certainly cleaned everyone out. The smoky room was filled with angry muttering and good-natured threats.

The Friday Poker Game was steadily becoming tradition at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. In the last two years, when the female adult quotient had become none, the boys had quickly returned to being…boys.
There was beer in the refrigerator again and cigars and poker on Friday evenings, once the children were safely tucked into their rooms. Occasionally they even managed to get the Professor himself to kick back at the round table.

Kitty Pryde, a newly inducted X-Woman, teased them almost constantly about the historical significance of their “round” table. Tonight, Bobby Drake, Logan, Scott Summers, and Dr Henry McCoy were well into a case of Scotch and a box of cigars.

Two years had passed since the two X-Women left the men behind to continue the dream. Jean Grey, beloved by many, gave her life for her family at Alkali Lake, her body found weeks later.

And Logan had driven Ororo away.

He frowned around his cigar, changing it at the last moment to a more expected scowl. He’d never been given the chance to make things right between himself and the weather-controlling mutant. The day following his slip up in her bed, she had resigned from the X-Men and vanished.

Tracking her had proved impossible. The woman knew how to cover her tracks. She had purchase eight airplane tickets and because of federal law, no one could tell him which she boarded. Charles Xavier had been more than a little unhelpful.

It was widely accepted that he was still in contact with their missing friend, but he would not so much as confirm that she was alive and well. Logan suspected that the CIA and MI6 would have serious issues trying to pry information from the telepath.

What Logan did know was Ororo Munroe’s abrupt departure was entirely his fault. Even though she cited her grief over the death of her dear friend, he knew that she had truly fled from him.

Collecting the cards Scott dealt him, he scowled further. Another shit hand. He was beginning to suspect that his friend was trying to cheat him. When he raised a brow to the dealer, the answering smirk was confirmation enough.

Logan took it in stride. After all, it was all in good fun. The tenuous friendship the two had forged was made stronger if only because they had been left alone by the women they tended to use as glue.

Of all the people in the mansion, Scott had taken Ororo’s departure the hardest. Logan had suspected their relationship was close, but One-Eye was broken by the second abandonment.

For some time, they had all wondered if he would never recover. Logan reached for him, helping him through the grief. It was a selfish move. The mansion could be more than a little lonely if one was left to his own devices.

When the music blaring from the room’s speaker system changed from throbbing guitar solos to the irritating chorus of whatever new boy band was popular, the table of men groaned in unison.

Bobby, or Iceman as he preferred, leapt to his feet, changing the station to a mixed compact disc Jubilation Lee was fond of making. Sounds of appropriately male appreciation echoed when Aerosmith blasted out of the speakers.

“Good choice,” Henry muttered, fretting over the cards in his hand.

The big, fur-covered mutant was a new addition to the X-Men. There was a history with Beast and the X-Men, though Cyclops had always been reluctant to talk about it. Shortly after Ororo left, he’d shown up again, likely at the Professor’s insistence.

Logan liked him well enough. The man was incredibly intelligent and unfailingly polite. There was something soothing about the unflappable mutant. Though his appearance bordered on terrifying, his geniality spoke volumes of the man beneath the fur.

“Two.”

Bobby’s request for cards brought Logan back to the present. It was dangerous to dwell on his thoughts. Once or twice he’d drifted into thinking about Ororo and her leaving. It had proved dangerous on many levels.

He had the memory of her etched into his memory. It reminded him of a sort of brand, something he could not ignore or escape. Their quick romp in her bedroom left an impression on him. Just the faint idea of her sent his memory into overload. The scent of her skin, how her body moved against his…it was a recipe for disaster.

Self-hatred often followed such trips down memory lane. He’d used her to get himself off and enjoyed it. Then he’d gone and called her Jean. She was right in leaving him, in giving him the cold shoulder and absolute silence while she prepared to leave her life behind.

One thing he could not escape was that betrayal and the simple fact that Ororo had surpassed any of his fantasies about Jean. Her passion was surprising, consuming. A baser instinct in him called to that. Wanting to drown in her again and again, that was the price for his betrayal.

The game wrapped up a few moments later, though Logan would never be able to remember who had won or why the night ended so quickly. It took him a moment to shake off worried Cyclops, but soon he found himself wandering the mansion alone.


Silent halls were filled with aching shadows. He wanted to hide in them, especially on nights like this one. She’d been gone so long…
For a moment, he pondered on which woman he referred to. Was it Jean and her unexpected death? Ororo and her cold departure?

As these thoughts had many other times over the last years, he found himself in the corridor that led to her bedroom. Scott stubbornly refused to take her things out and recycle the bedroom for another teacher or student. Logan figured that the other mutant still expected her to come home.

Logan entered silently; peering down the dark hallway to ensure no one was watching him. It would be grounds for murder if anyone knew he often returned to the scene of his crime.

Everything was covered in a layer of thick dust. Her wardrobe was still slightly ajar, as it had been the day he’d attempted to talk her out of resigning. She’d slammed it, he recalled, so hard it banged back off the hinges.

Touching her pillow, which once smelled of honey and rain, he mentally berated himself for being such an emotional bastard. Why should he care if she left? He wasn’t bound to her, there was no love between them, barely friendship.

Was it because he had hurt her? Even if the night had been for nothing more than physical pleasure, saying another woman’s name was just bad form.

He sat heavily on the bed, not bothering to test the air for hints of her scent. Any trace of that intoxicating smell was long gone. Dropping his head slightly forward, he rested his elbows on his knees and sat, as always, in the darkness.

If she ever came home, he would make things right. He had to.

~**~

“Mornin’,” Logan greeted the Professor the next morning.

Had his mutation abandoned him, the older man might have noticed the sleepless wear reflected on his face. Luckily, there was no sign of yet another night spent sitting in Ororo’s room, as though waiting for her to breeze back through the door.

“Good morning, Logan,” Charles replied with a fond smile. “Ah, thank you.”

He accepted the steaming cup of coffee from his X-Man, indicating that he should take a seat. Logan made himself comfortable, sipping at the scalding coffee and begging his mind to stay on task.

Though it was more common than he wanted to admit to stay in Ororo’s shrine-kept room all night, it was rare that he let her memory overtake him completely, as he had last evening. The guilt and unacceptable longing would be with him for days if he let it.

“You will be accompanying the graduating children to the week-end trip at NYU tomorrow, yes?” Charles asked after taking a long draw from his drink.

Logan nodded easily. “Yeah. Becky Tate seems most likely to attend, but a few others want to go, too.”

“Good, good,” the elder man agreed. “It will be nice to have a few of our university students close by.”

“Yeah,” Logan smirked. “Got a bit of the empty nest syndrome early this year?”

The bald mutant smiled in response, inclining his head. “Perhaps. It seems we will lose many to live on the outside this year.”

“Seems like. They’re a good bunch. I’ll feel safer with them out there.”

“As will I. You have done well in preparing them.”

Logan’s eyebrow arched as he processed the compliment. “I teach history. I don’t know how much that helps.”

“It does. A study of the past can influence decisions in the present,” Charles said in that sagely tone that made Logan want to snort derisively. “How are the seniors doing with their projects?”

Scratching his chin, Logan had to bite back a smile. “We’ll have a working Civil War era canon next week.”

“Oh, dear.”

“Your idea to use Civil War Weaponry as the topic,” Logan held his hand up in self-defense. “I wanted to go with Storm’s preferred topic.”

“Yes, the Gettysburg Address is admirable, but I fear a few of the students were beginning to recycle the graduated students projects.”

“Hey, that’s just using all available resources.”

Both men were content to let the jibe go at that. Through his long months here at the mansion, teaching and waging war, Logan had begun to respect the man even more. Slowly, he was beginning to take on Charles’ dream as his own.

“How was the game last night? Scott seems unusually chipper for a Saturday. Did you leave him enough to take Renee out this weekend?”

Chuckling, Logan shrugged. “He had a good streak last night.”

Pausing, he debated on whether or not he should pump his older friend for information on Scott’s new “girl”. The woman, Renee Irving, was a tall, leggy blonde with an MBA. Logan had met her only once, which was enough to find her excruciatingly boring.

“They are doing well, though I am not sure she is a good match for our Cyclops.”

No longer surprised at the man’s seeming omnipotence, Logan shrugged. “He doesn’t have to marry her. Hell, I’m just glad he’s gettin’ laid.”

“Logan,” his friend chided while biting back a smile.

Sharp eyes caught the telepath’s slight frown, which lasted only a moment before it was wiped away. Logan tested the air with his nose, finding a subtle trace of something alien coming from the Professor.

While he debated asking about it, he noticed a soft grunt and the way Charles rubbed at his left shoulder absently.

“Well, I do have some phone calls to make,” there was strain in the man’s voice, barely audible. “Would you mind sending Scott in?”

Logan nodded, making a note to alert Cyclops when he saw him. Something was wrong with their benefactor. Worry prickled at his senses. Just as Logan turned to leave the room, he heard another grunt, followed by a resounding thud.

He turned, almost as in slow motion. Charles slumped over in his chair, one hand to his heart and a grimace of unbearable pain written on his face. Logan dropped his coffee, rushing across the room. He screamed when he gathered his lifeless friend in his arms, papers fluttering on the air around them.

“HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME!”
2. After a Fashion by Gaineewop


Chapter Two: After a Fashion

Get away for a while
Here I am out on my own again
Won't blame it on myself
I'll blame it on the weatherman
~B’Witched


Ororo speaks:

I will never forget that phone call. It was roughly seven o’clock in the evening. I had Prita in her high chair; she was banging her spoon on the thick plastic tray, laughing all the while.

Dijai came into the room, his face ashen, lips quivering. He said, rather bluntly, that Charles was in the hospital. He’d suffered from a massive heart attack. My own heart tore when I heard those words. Prita began to cry. Perhaps she sensed my pain, even then.

I boarded the next airplane bound for New York, the frail ten-month-old girl in my arms. I thought on all that had happened in two years during the flight and never-ending layovers.

Though many years have passed since that horrific day, I remember every detail of it. From the rude airline attendant in Calcutta to hat Prita was wearing when we arrived at JKF airport.

I had tried to not think of Logan and the way we left things during the flight. Going home was never easy once you had successfully run away. In attempting to not think of him, he was all that occupied my thoughts.

I was prepared for the burly, brash bastard I had left behind. I was not ready to meet the man waiting for me when I stepped off the plane…


~**~

April 14th, 2006

New York was, to her welcoming surprise, exactly as she had left it. Two years abroad, in the colorful serenity of India had not diminished her fervent love for the city. The bustle of passengers leaving the plane to the loving arms of friends and family brought a small smile to her face.

It had been a long, tedious flight, filled with lip-chewing worry. Charles was the oldest friend she’d ever had, his kind, nurturing nature was sweet salvation. For Ororo, it was the only thing she counted on.

They’d spoken only days before his heart attack. Everything was fine then. They laughed and talked for two hours, as was their custom. She had hung up the receiver with a smile on her face.

Now, nothing was certain. Dijai, her friend and housemate in Calcutta, had limited information, but they both knew it was bad. She’d called the airline almost immediately and set about readying her little one for the long flight ahead of them.

Ororo had spared no thought as to how she would explain little Prita to her abandoned friends. She had no doubt they would understand enough to offer their aid…but if she decided to return to Calcutta, no one was likely to stop her.

Time changed people. Though it was supposed to heal all wounds as well, Ororo wanted to slap the person that first coined the phrase. The instant she spotted Logan leaning against a wall, waiting for her, she realized how very untrue that statement was.

Her breath caught in her throat. Bitter betrayal and hot anger spilled into her normally aloof stature. She remembered his breathy call of Jean’s name as she brought him to passion’s completion. How could she have been so stupid as to indulge in those feelings she had brushed aside? She knew better than to tangle with a man in love with a ghost.

And damn it all, he looked delicious. That wide brimmed hat pulled low over his eyes. Frayed jeans and worn leather jacket covered his muscular form, making unwanted heat pump into her system.

Reigning in her raging hormones, Ororo adjusted the slumbering baby on her hip, ensuring that her little raven head was resting comfortably on her shoulder. The little pink cap hid curls of deep black and dark cheeks that begged for sweet kisses.

Just as Ororo slung the strap of her bag over her shoulder, she felt Logan approach. Looking up into his sharp brown eyes, she found confusion and rage. Gasping in shock, she took an involuntary step back. What on earth was wrong with him? She had in no way expected a warm welcome, but this…

“Is that mine?”

Blinking in even more profound confusion at his growled words, Ororo frowned.

“Excuse me?”

Logan jabbed one long finger toward Prita, his face a mask of only barely restrained fury. Ororo fought with her memory of how his hands had played on her skin as the realization slipped into her tired mind.

He assumed Prita was his, theirs.

“Do not be stupid,” Ororo shot back at him with more venom than she’d intended. “If you had managed to impregnate me, I would not have kept it a secret for two years. Though I am thankful that your lack of faith in me is so consuming. It will prevent further mishaps on my part.”

A bit of shame fluttered in her belly the moment the words were out of her mouth. Logan, for a moment, looked hurt by her discourteous speech. What had she expected? His assessment was a logical conclusion. The last time they’d seen one another was just after a night of sweating and panting in one another’s arms.

“I’m glad she ain’t,” Logan snarled, obviously recovered from her barb. “Don’t need any more fuckin’ complications.”

“Watch your language,” Ororo hissed, stomping past him as Prita began to fuss on her shoulder.

She offered him no explanation to the child she carried. While it was petty and even a bit silly, the undeniably feminine part of her wanted Logan to wonder who she had laid with after him. Perhaps she even hoped for jealousy.

Of course, Logan was not going to be jealous over her. He had used her for pleasure while wishing she was someone else. And not just anyone else, a woman she had loved beyond reason and doubt.

He was following her, but said nothing else as they collected their bags. Prita awoke, her sleepy eyes half open as she sucked a tiny thumb into her mouth. Ororo whispered assurances in Punjabi as they walked, leaving Logan to carry her things.

To her surprise, he offered to install the car seat she’d checked onto the plane so she could soothe her tired baby. He did not look at them, nor say a word that was not a request for information. They both seemed hell bent on keeping the other at arm’s length.

After a few moments of watching him struggle with the car seat, Ororo sighed.

“I can do it, if you do not mind holding Prita,” she said in a cool tone.

“What the hell kinda name is “Prita”?” he asked, straightening from the backseat of Scott’s car.

Ororo adjusted her daughter, turning her so she could see who was about to hold her. The little one’s dark eyes scanned Logan slowly, as any child judging a potential loved one.

Obviously, Logan passed, for Prita held her little arms out to him with a small smile. Ororo handed her over, slightly surprised at how easily Logan fit her into his arms.

“Prita is an Indian name,” Ororo offered as she quickly ducked into the car and installed the safety seat.

“Indian? Dots or feathers?” he replied.

“East Indian. I’ve been in Calcutta,” she moved back to them, trying to not watch how Prita smiled and cooed at him, eliciting a grin from the rough man.

“Oh,” Logan offered the child back to her mother. “What’s it mean?”

“Dear one,” Ororo snapped Prita into the seat, handing her the tiny stuffed elephant Diraji had given her when they parted.

“Nice,” he grunted, moving around the car and opening the driver’s side door as she slid into the passenger’s seat. “I’m guessin’ you wanna go directly to the hospital.”

“Yes.”

“Fine.”

~**~

It was not an easy thing, sitting beside the man she’d run away from. Her body betrayed her more than once, wanting to brush against him just so…to inhale the thick scent of man he seemed drenched in.

The journey to the hospital was silent, broken only by the dull thud of techno music pumping out of the car stereo and Prita’s cooing in the backseat. Logan’s eyes did not move from the road ahead of them, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly.

Looking out of the window, watching the city she’d loved fly by, she wondered if he had things to say to her. The day of her abrupt departure, he had come to her room, attempting to make excuses for his appalling behavior the previous night. Had she given him the chance? No. The hurt had still been so new, too fresh to allow her heart to listen.

It was with great relief that they pulled into the parking garage at the Beth Israel Medical Center. Ororo’s heart immediately forgot all about Logan as she prepared herself for seeing Charles again.

Without a word for her chauffer, she plucked Prita from her safety seat, slung the diaper bag over her shoulder and followed Logan to the stairs. She was mildly surprised that he remembered her aversion to confined spaces.

Several flights of stairs later, the heavy metal door opened to the overwhelming scents of ammonia and illness. Chatter from doctors, nurses, and waiting family members combined into a steady hum that reminded her of bees in a hive.

Logan led her down several corridors without pause, as though he’d already come to know the hospital by heart. It was with great joy that she noted Scott lounging against a wall outside of what she assumed was the Professor’s room.

A bright smile crossed his handsome face, followed swiftly by a frown when he spotted the little one in her arms. Without thinking about it, she handed Prita to Logan a beat before Scott enveloped her in a warm, welcoming embrace.

“He’s been asking about you,” her friend whispered after giving her a noisy kiss on the cheek. “Man, I’ve missed you.”

“And I you, my dear friend,” she replied, gulping back the tears stinging at her eyes.

When they broke apart, Scott looked immediately to the tiny girl batting at the wolfish peaks of Logan’s hair. Ororo bit back a smile, watching the trio curiously. Logan handed the child to Scott without pause, leaving the other man to coo over her playfully.

“She’s gorgeous, Storm,” Scott said as he adjusted the little pink cap. “What’s her name?”

“Prita,” Ororo offered. “Prita Munroe.”

“Very nice,” the man grinned beneath his ruby-quartz glasses. “Yours?”

Knowing Logan was watching her carefully, Ororo nodded easily. “After a fashion, yes.”

“I’m going to assume you’ll explain that later,” one dark brow lifted on Scott’s face. “Go on in, the Professor’s waiting for you. I’ll look after the little princess here.”

Thanking Cyclops with a quick smile, Ororo put her bag on the nearest plastic chair she could find as she turned toward the door Scott indicated. Three careful steps brought her to the entryway and she slid inside quietly.

Tears stung at her eyes when she caught sight of the bald man lying on the bed, an oxygen mask over his suddenly aging face. He had always seemed so strong, invincible even in the face of death. Now, his body looked so frail, much too small for the wide bed upon which he lay.

She crept closer, her heart aching in her chest. His face was more lined than she remembered, his eyes closed and the twitch of a pained grimace covered his lips. White hospital garb made his normally pale face even more so, giving the impression of a man on his deathbed.

As she approached, those clear blue eyes opened and a weak hand pulled the mask from his face.

“Oh, there you are.”

“Hello, my dear,” she forced herself to smile as she took the empty seat beside his bed, her hand immediately covering his. “Having a bad week, are we?”

Her mentor rewarded her cheek with a fond smile, which knocked five years from his weary face. His hands were nowhere near as strong as she remembered them, but he squeezed her fingers softly as though to reassure her.

“How bad is it, Charles?”

A soft, somnolent sigh left his lips. “I will require a bypass surgery, which they are preparing me for now. The damage was extensive.”

“By the Goddess,” she whispered. “Do they know what triggered this? How can we prevent it from happening again?”

“I am old, my dear,” he said solemnly. “I have been tired for a long time, which is a symptom of my current condition. Once the surgery is through, I will feel ten years younger, or so the doctors tell me.”

She squeezed his hand again, holding him as though she could anchor him to this world through sheer will.

“I am fortunate Logan happened to be in my office at the time of the attack,” he continued. “Had he tallied even a few moments, I may not have made it.”

Surprised by this new information, Ororo fought her raging emotions and covered her mentor’s face with the oxygen mask, letting him breathe deeply for a few moments before she removed it again.

“Then we all owe him a debt of gratitude,” she managed.

“Will you ever find it in yourself to forgive him, Ororo?”

His words did not surprise her. Of all the people she loved, only Charles was privy to the catalyst for her resignation from the X-Men. He had been so understanding of her reasons, so willing to part with her so that she might heal. It was through his many friends and various called in favors that her life in Calcutta was carved from heartache.

“I am unsure, Charles,” she admitted quietly. “But you must not think of such things.”

“You may as well tell a wolf to sprout feathers than ask me to not worry, my dear,” he countered her with a lift of his pale brow. “He has tortured himself these last years, more so than I expected.”

Slightly surprised and ashamed at how pleased she was with this knowledge, Ororo shook her head.

“I will think about it,” her free hand lifted to gently touch her friend’s brow. “First I must concentrate on you feeling better and keeping the school running.”

A sly, almost wicked smile replaced the weary twist to his lips. “Are you requesting reinstatement?”

Ororo rolled her eyes, a soft chuckle escaping her lips at his playful manner. “Yes, if you are willing to accept me.”

“You and that little Prita of yours are more than welcome to return to us,” he nodded. “I would ask to meet that beautiful child whose picture graces my bedroom wall at home, but I fear I must rest. I tire very easily these days.”

She nodded, standing from the chair to kiss his forehead quickly. “You will have plenty of time to meet her later. I will return after dinner to say goodnight.”

“I will look forward to it, if you will rescue me from Scott’s fussing.”

With a wink, she squeezed his hand and replaced the oxygen mask over his nose and mouth. “If you behave, I will come bearing the works of Lord Byron.”

Muffled through the mask, she heard a saucy “Minx” before she turned away from him and moved back to the hospital room door.

~**~

Ororo closed the door to her bedroom, holding the baby monitor tightly in one hand as she made her escape from the child slumbering on her bed. She had been sure to place several pillows around her, to prevent an accidental tumble onto the hardwood floor.

Marie and Jubliee, while thrilled to see Ororo again, had set upon the little girl almost immediately. They made quite a fuss over the child, going so far as to insist they babysit while Ororo returned to the hospital to spend time with her mentor.

Prita found the mansion an overwhelming playground, crawling about as though she could not discover all of its wonders quickly enough. She had given her enthusiastic playmates a run for their money. Ororo chuckled to herself as she passed the students’ sitting room, where two exhausted young women snored on the sofa together.

After clipping the small monitor on the wide elastic brim of her pajama bottoms, she paused to collect several of Prita’s toys and blankets, stacking them neatly in a nearby armchair before moving on.

Henry, Scott, Logan, and Peter had requested her presence for an impromptu staff meeting once the baby was settled in for the night. There was much for them to do, especially with the end of the school term looming before them.

She located the group of mutant teachers outside on the deck that led to the mansion’s swimming pool. They spoke in quiet tones as they surrounded the weathered picnic table, bottles of cold beer in their hands.

It was without much preamble that she took an empty seat between Peter and Henry, easily sliding into the conversation. Logan met her eyes briefly across the table, lifting the bottle to his lips as though contemplating her. She broke contact to speak to Peter, congratulating him when he revealed his plans to ask Kitty for her hand in marriage.

“All right, lets get started here,” Scott said in his most commanding voice.

“We have two sets of classes that need a teacher,” Logan chimed in, much to Ororo’s surprise.

Though Charles had said, quite often, that their resident feral wolverine made quite a wonderful teacher, she had yet to see it with her own eyes.

“Well, with Storm back,” Scott tossed her a quick, heartfelt smile. “I think she can cover those.”

“I will do whatever I can,” she nodded her agreement. “Advanced Literature and Physics, correct?”

“That’d be it,” Scott nodded sharply. “Logan’s got his exams lined up for next week, but we’re thinking of pushing them back to the week after, given that they’re all so high strung from the Professor’s heart attack.”

“I think that may be wise,” Henry piped up from beside Ororo. “The Professor should be out of surgery and well on his way to a full recovery by then.”

Ororo patted his shoulder lightly, leaning to kiss his cheek. It was so rare that anything dampened his spirits that he was a lovely comfort in times of crisis.

“All right,” Scott thought for a moment. “We’ll delay everything a week, let the parents know and such. This way everyone will be able to concentrate on their exams.”

“Have any of the children been to see Charles?” Ororo asked, frowning a bit.

“Not yet,” Logan answered her coolly. “Thought we’d wait until he looks a sight better. They’ve had conference calls though.”

“That was probably wise,” Ororo replied, looking directly at him. “Out of curiosity, what topic are the seniors using for their projects?”

Logan gave her a wicked, wolfish smirk. “Civil War Weaponry. They seem to enjoy it.”

“I am sure they are, it is an interesting topic,” she said with a flippant toss of her head.

Scott cleared his throat politely. “We’ll make the schedule change announcement at breakfast in the morning. I say we give the kids another couple of days off, maybe have some outdoor activities to keep their minds off of the Professor’s condition.”

“That is a splendid idea!” Henry said, nearly bouncing in his seat. “Perhaps a bout of friendly competition will be just the ticket.”

“Why, Scott, you are a positive wellspring of good ideas tonight,” Ororo said sweetly.

She ducked when he tossed his bottle cap at her. “Why don’t you work with Logan and Hank to get everything set up.”

Ororo returned his smirk with a scowl worthy of Wolverine himself.

“What about the kid?”

Every head at the table pivoted to stare at Wolverine in shock. He shrugged before taking another long drawn from his drink.

“Someone’s got to watch that rugrat while Storm’s teachin’ and all.”

Ororo tried to not think of him as a man, even as she watched his Adam’s Apple bob while he drank from his bottle. He did have a point, though she was loathe to admit it, the bastard.

“I could hire a day time nanny,” she offered quickly.

“Jubi an’ Marie’d never forgive you,” he countered.

“Perhaps I will ask them to take turns,” Ororo replied coldly.

“You do that.”

She was dimly aware that the others were watching them as though observing an interesting tennis match. Her eyes held Logan’s across the table, meeting his cold challenge with chilled indifference.

Though her heart did that mysterious double beat and her stomach swooped with the early brimming of impossible desire, she let her wounded heart speak through her eyes.

He broke contact the same instant she did.

“Well,” Scott cleared his throat. “I think that about covers it for tonight. Henry and I are heading to the hospital in the morning to finish the paperwork before Charles’ surgery tomorrow afternoon.”

“Good,” Logan stood from the table abruptly.

Ororo’s eyes did not leave the monitor in her hands, even when she noted he headed into the woods and not to the house behind them. When his footsteps had faded completely from their earshot, the others made ready to move back into the house.

At last, only Ororo remained. She peered around her, checking to ensure she was alone. Carefully, she placed the monitor on the table, then climbed on her bare feet until she stood on the tabletop.

With a deliberate sting behind her eyes, she let the pain and worry in her heart reflect in the skies. Slowly, she raised her hands, palms facing the turbulent clouds above. An impossibly loud crack of thunder preceded the shock of white-hot light that jetted from the skies.

She had finally come home.
3. Caught in the Sun by Gaineewop


Chapter Three: Caught in the Sun

I’m trying to escape you
But I know there ain’t no way to
Chase you from my mind
~The Cult


He woke in a panting sweat, his body on high alert. Every hair on his body stood on end. His eyes darted over the room that had become his in fear and anticipation.

It was a dream. It was always a damned dream.

She would come to him in the silence of the night, smelling of honey and earth and rain. He took her, hard and fast until they were both mindless with the passion that overwhelmed them both. But all her long white hair changed to sudden red, her blue eyes morphing into green.

The women that haunted his dreams fought for dominance, until they had killed one another. And he was left alone, bitter with the lonesomeness that consumed the hours before dawn.

There were times that he wondered if he would ever be free from the hold Jean had held on him in life. It consumed him, especially in the night. All the things they could have had together, if Scott were not in the picture, if she had wanted him just as badly. She haunted him.

Storm was an entirely different matter. Though Jean had branded him long ago, he dreamt of her counterpart just as often. While Jean straddled that high pedestal he’d placed her on from their first meeting, Storm took up the place directly in front of him.

He’d known her passion, felt her writhe beneath him. The heat in her stare, the greed in her kisses, the scent of her desire was a part of him as much as the warm smile that belonged to Jean.

Confused and more annoyed than he wanted to let on, Logan tossed the covers from his legs almost violently. He jumped out of the bed, beginning to pace almost immediately, his hands thrust into his hair.

Why did she have to look more beautiful than he last saw her? Why did she still look at him as though he were the Anti-Christ? Why the hell couldn’t he just let it go?

She obviously had. That kid she’d appeared with on her hip had to be hers. The scent of motherhood was all over her. Someone warmed her bed long after he had. Whoever it was gave her a child that she quite plainly loved.

So where the hell was he?

For a moment in the airport, he’d been convinced the child was his. Seeing her come off of the walkway with that child in her arms brought a pang of something he couldn’t describe to his heart. Had it been hope? Terror? A mixture of both, perhaps?

Then her venomous words… He growled, shaking his head. How could he have been stupid enough to think his betrayal was softened by two years apart? She wore her rage and hurt like a badge on her sleeve. It wasn’t as though he blamed her. She had every right to hate his guts.

Prita wasn’t his. Storm made that abundantly clear. The child and her mother had absolutely no love for him. Maybe someday she’d let him apologize or make amends. He would figure out some way for them to live under the same roof without starting rumors or fistfights.

God, he wished she would hit him. At least then he could be sure she was getting over it, over him.

The thought of her brushing him brought a growl from his throat. Why didn’t he want her to forget him? Why did he hope she remembered how he felt against her while she fucked someone else?

He continued to pace, hating himself more every moment. Now there was not even the option to slip into her bedroom, to surround himself with her things, the echo of her presence in which to hate himself. He was banished to his own room, with his tortured thoughts and self-loathing.

Looking out of his eastern window, he noted the sun beginning to peek into the night-shrouded world. He hated the night and all the trouble it brought his aching head. In the light hours, he could forget about everything again.

Slipping a worn t-shirt over his bare chest, he padded on bare feet out of the room and into the hall. His dream still lingered on the edge of his consciousness. Before Jean’s ghost intruded, he would be buried in Storm, the memory of her.

Just the thought of having her in his arms again drove him to the brink of madness. He didn’t deserve her, not after what he’d done. He hated thinking of her that way when he’d never earned the right. But, God, she’d felt so damn good, responded to him in ways he’d never thought a woman would.

A faint, childlike giggle sounded from behind him. Turning down the hall, he noted a very naked little girl crawling as fast as she could from the general direction of Storm’s room, laughing hysterically.

Storm appeared moments later, her pajamas replaced by soft looking jeans and a simple t-shirt. She chased the baby, though it looked more than a little half-hearted.

Prita spotted Logan before her mother did and zipped across the carpeted floor to avoid capture. Mystified by the gentle laughter and dimples in her dark cheeks, Logan feinted, as though pretending to grab for her.

The baby howled with laughter, then squealed when Logan snatched her up, tickling her little sides. She giggled even harder, pointing to him as her mother approached and lighting off rapid-fire babble.

“Ah-ha!” Storm’s voice was more relaxed than he had ever heard it. “You have been detained, devil child!”

“Giving you a workout this morning?” Logan questioned, holding the squirming child above his head so she howled more.

“You have no idea,” Storm replied, reaching up to pinch a bare butt-cheek lovingly.

“Don’t they have leashes for these things?”

“Wolverine!” Storm laughed, though she chided him.

He dropped the baby, catching her swiftly. Prita giggled harder, then leaned up to kiss his whiskered cheek. Logan made a silly face for her benefit.

“Sorry kid,” he shrugged, handing her back to Storm. “Much as people like us love bein’ naked, your mom’s insisting on clothes, I think.”

“Yes, very much so,” Storm countered, settling the nude child on her hip. “Thank you.”

“Sure,” he cleared his throat, feeling the warmth of the stolen moment begin to ebb quickly. “Want some coffee?”

“Yes, thank you,” said Storm, her voice already fading back to indifference. “We will be down in a moment.”

“Yeah.”

Logan watched as mother and child made their way back to their room. He could just imagine how Storm made that baby laugh, kissed and hugged her to the point of spoiling her with affection.

The image sent a warm, fuzzy and damned unwelcome feeling to the center of his stomach. He was none too happy with his traitorous brain coupled it with a conjured mental picture of Storm swollen with child, his hand resting on her stomach.

Kicking himself in the ass, he hurried out of the hall and down the stairs. He’d only get into more trouble if he kept thinking that way. She didn’t want anything to do with him, which was her choice.

He didn’t have any right to fall for her, to want her. It was best if he just stopped it all before it started. Would have been best if he’d never held her in his arms at all.

~**~

By the time the students had finished breakfast Logan was much more settled. He easily avoided being alone with Storm as the morning wore on. Hank and Scott went directly from the morning meal to the hospital, with promises to relieve Storm, Peter, and Logan later in the day, so they could visit the Professor before his surgery.

Most of the children migrated outside, the promise of lovely weather drawing them into volleyball games and pool time. Logan refereed the game, leaving Storm to stay inside with the children that chose to study and Peter to lifeguard the pool.

This way there was no way for he and Storm to be caught alone. It would be easy to avoid her, let her get used to being back home without him around to glare at.

“Boo.”

Logan had smelled his young friend long before she’d spoken, but he jumped a little to reward her. Gripping her around the back of the neck with his arm, he gave Marie an affectionate squeeze while she squealed.

“Tryin’ to scare me, girl?”

“Just a little!” Rogue laughed as he released her. “Ya looked miles away just then.”

“I’m right here.”

“Uh-huh,” her tone spoke volumes of eye-rolling. “You ain’t been right since you met Storm at the airport.”

Logan grunted, his eyes on the game before him.

“Come to that, you ain’t been right since she left.”

“What are you getting at, kid?”

Rogue shrugged, plopping down on the grass beside him. He copied her motion, taking a seat on the sun-scorched ground.

“Just sayin’.”

“Can you say it without the cryptic crap?”

“What’s goin’ on between you and Storm?”

He contemplated his answer while calling a foul on one of the volleyball teams and ignoring the whines of protest.

“Nothin’.”

“Liar.”

Glaring at her, he shook his head.

“Leave it alone, Rogue.”

“No,” she stubbornly crossed her arms. “What happen? She reject you or somethin’?”

“Wish she had,” he muttered before he could stop himself.

“That’s interestin’.”

“Rogue, drop it. I mean it,” he growled at her.

She shrugged again, looking up at the sky in a way that made him brace himself. Whenever she looked off into space like that, she was about to hit him with a few words of wisdom that were way beyond her twenty years.

“Maybe if you weren’t so stupid over Jean, you woulda seen Storm sooner.”

Confused and more annoyed by the moment, Logan nudged her with his elbow.

“You’re doin’ the cryptic shit again.”

“Just sayin’,” Rogue turned her eyes to him, affixing a stare worthy of Charles. “You were so busy lookin’ up that somethin’ right in front of ya got caught in the sun. You let yourself get blinded and then burned.”

“You’re givin’ me a headache, kid,” Logan growled, not willing to admit how close she was to the truth.

It was true. That night he’d found Storm in the kitchen, taken her to bed, he’d realized that she had been there all along. This strong, beautiful woman was shadowed by the woman he’d given his affections to without thought. It wasn’t right, how he’d taken her because that realization dulled the pain of Jean’s death for a few moments.

And it wasn’t as though he’d taken her to bed with the thought of Jean. That betrayal had come later, and not of his own free will. He’d been honest when he whispered in the dark that the only people in the room were him and her. That’s how he’d wanted it.

Why had his own mind given him those images? Was he really so hell-bent on self-destruction that Jean could cloud everything?

While he was locked in his own thoughts, Rogue had made her escape. He sat on the grass alone, not paying attention to the game he was supposed to ref.

The truth of it was he had never given himself a chance to think about Storm that way. Until that night, she was background noise. There but never at the forefront of his thoughts. Then he’d seen her, in that white gown, sitting on the counter with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.

Everything happened so fast. He was on her, pulling her to him, tasting the chocolate ice cream on her lips. Then they were upstairs, tearing clothing off and touching every inch of skin they could.

After that, thinking of her brought him shame. But what was beneath all of that? Had she really been nothing more than physical release?

Consider this a favor…

Her parting shot echoed in his head, no matter how he tried to deny it. She’d made her decision the moment it happened.

Standing, Logan called for Bobby, asking him to look after the game. When everything was settled, he jogged into the house.

They needed to talk.

~**~

He found Storm in the kitchen. She was humming, the baby’s monitor buzzing on the counter. He could hear the faint sound of a child’s deep snore under the white noise.

“Hey.”

The lean line of Storm’s back stiffened at his causal tone. She did not turn from the assembly line from which she seemed to be making a few dozen sandwiches.

“Did you need something?”

“Yeah,” he cleared his throat, begging his pounding heart to slow down. “We need to talk.”

“What about?”

Though she was outwardly cold, distant, the ice queen he’d first pegged her as, he could detect the faint thud of her heart accelerate in her chest, hear the sharp intake of breath through her nose as though controlling her breathing.

“Why did you let me have you? That night, I mean.”

Tension snapped through the room with the precision of a lightning bolt. He watched her place the butterknife she was using to spread mayonnaise deliberately on the tiled countertop.

Slowly, she looked up at him, unfathomable rage in her eyes. Logan held his ground, needing to know where they stood before either of them could move on. If it ended with her electrocuting him, so be it.

“You have no right to ask me that question.”

“I have every right,” he shot back. “I want to know what in the name of hell possessed you to sleep with me.”

For a moment, she didn’t speak. She merely bored her eyes into his, her back straighter than the counter.

“I wanted to.”

“Why?”

She did not answer. Logan swallowed with a bone-dry throat.

“You knew I was hung up on Jean. Why’d you set us both up for a fall like that? You could have stopped me. You should have stopped us.”

Storm let a shuddering sigh escape her lips. “I should have.”

“All you had to say was no,” he replied, his voice gentler than he’d ever heard it. “I would have stopped and none of this would have happened.”

“I could not say no, not when you looked at me that way,” she replied in a whisper, her eyes betraying hurt more than anger now. “As though you actually saw me.”

“Damn it, Ororo,” he slammed his fist on the counter, leaning toward her. “I did, I do see you!”

“Then why,” her voice hitched. “Why did you call out her name?”

“I--” he paused. “I don’t fuckin’ know!”

They both lapsed into uncomfortable silence for a long, tense moment. All Logan could hear was the soft snore of her daughter through the monitor and their own breath. He wanted to move over to her, shake her until she gave him the answers he wanted.

“This is not the time…”

“Make it the damn time, Storm,” he growled. “I’ve hated myself for two years.”

“Good,” she hissed. “For I have hated you just as long.”

“What did you expect?” he thundered. “I was still in love with her!”

“You still are,” Ororo shouted. “And I was in love with you! I could not say no when I believed I had a chance.”

Any reply Logan might have hit her with died on his lips. He gave into impulse and moved to her, snatching her arms with his hands even as she tried to move away.

He pulled her flush against his chest, immediately swooping down to capture her lips with his. He groaned at the first, teasing contact. She still tasted of honey and rain, her body pliable against his, though she attempted to fight him.

Familiarity and longing beat into his body, demanding that he take more. He wanted to repeat that damned mistake of two years ago. The need to sweep her into his arms and take her again nearly took his knees out.

Instead, he gave into the harsh shove of her hands against his chest and pulled away.

“Don’t say was,” he growled in a low tone. “That’s what gets you, isn’t it? You still love me.”

Though she shook her head, he could almost see her resolve crumbling. She tried to hide it behind hatred and pain, but it was still there, bubbling just under the surface.

That’s what he’d sensed that night. Her wanting him, the love she’d hidden so carefully under layers of indifference. He’d clung to it, given in because it reflected what he’d lost with Jean.

He’d taken advantage of her and on some level, he’d known that.

“I’m a bastard,” he whispered, releasing her gently. “God, I can’t believe…”

“Logan…”

“Don’t,” he held up a hand, keeping her away from him. “Stay the fuck away from me, Storm.”

Her chin lifted defiantly. “Oh, have no worries on that score. You and I are nothing more than a mistake. I will get over it in time. And you should learn to live with guilt.”

“I will,” he nodded, backing away from her. “I’m sorry I hurt you. I really am.”

She nodded slowly. “I know.”

“Long as you know that.”

Without another word, Logan turned and left the kitchen. Once he was out of her range of vision, he put his hands back into his hair, snarling and spitting at himself. It was intentional. He’d taken Ororo to bed simply to live vicariously through her, to be closer to Jean.
At least it was in the open now. Perhaps they could move on. It was best for everyone if they did.

Logan did not stop moving until he reached his bedroom. Once there, he turned and put three holes into his wall with a bare fist before collapsing on his bed. When Scott came home he’d head to see the Professor and do his duty to his friend.

He’d stay the hell away from Storm and her daughter.

As he lay in his bed, he thought back to that last, stolen kiss in the kitchen. He could have gone on kissing her for hours…

But was it Storm he kissed or the haunting memory of Jean?

~**~

Logan speaks:

I went to the hospital that night and sat in the waiting room with Storm for hours while the surgeons worked on Chuck. We didn’t say anything. We just sat there, sipping bad coffee and worrying.

I couldn’t get the image of the hurt written in her eyes out of my mind. I thought about it constantly. It’s never easy, realizing that you’re the asshole of all assholes.

Storm stayed away from me. I watched her move back into the life of the X-Men and wished I could find a way to help her get past the whole lovin’ me thing. It wasn’t healthy, lovin’ someone that doesn’t do anything but cause problems.

Two weeks later, Chuck came home from the hospital. We all prepared for the long recovery he had waiting for him. Storm and I kept to ourselves, mostly. We managed to stay in the same room without glaring too much, which kept the noise down.

Marie didn’t mention it again. Maybe she knew I wasn’t ready to talk about it or maybe she just understood that it wasn’t something solved with words. I’d decided to let time deal with it, I guess.

Either way, I was determined to just move on, keep my mouth shut and my hands off. My dreams got worse. Day by day the wanting grew inside me until it was almost too much.

That was nothing compared to what Fate had in store for me. It’s like a tornado that changes course without warning. One day I was keeping everything inside, minding my own business and then Storm came pounding on my door in the middle of the night.

She was in tears, screamin’ for my help. I managed to get her to explain that Prita was sick. When I gathered her teeny body in my arms, I felt the first real fear in my entire life.

Everything was about to change. Again.
4. Prita's Woe by Gaineewop


Chapter Four: Prita's Woe

And I taste what I could never have
It was from you
All the times that I’ve cried
My intentions full of pride
But I waste more time than anyone
~Staind


“All right, come on, baby girl.”

Ororo watched with tears in her eyes as Logan lifted her tiny, feverish daughter into his arms. When she’d awoken to Prita’s entreating cries, the sort that tear at a mother’s heart, she’d been certain all would be well.

Two hours later, the thermometer read one hundred and four degrees. Prita continued to whimper, as though begging her mother to take the pain away. Without thinking, without bothering to question the impulse, Ororo had run for Logan’s bedroom.

There was no sneering nor attempt to distance himself from the situation, much to her surprise. He’d taken one look at her face and leapt into action.

“’Ro, get her elephant,” he ordered her briskly, tucking a light blanket around the shivering child.

“Of course.”

Fumbling with worry and nerves, Ororo gathered up her daughter’s sipping cup and elephant, then followed Logan out of the room. Neither of them bothered with shoes as they rushed through the still-silent house toward the garage.

He quickly opened the car door, buckling Prita into her safety seat. When the little one whimpered pitifully, she thought Logan whined low in his throat.

“It’s all right, princess,” Logan soothed. “Don’t worry. We’ll get ya feelin’ better.”

Prita’s thumb instantly went into her mouth as Logan closed the door. When he turned to her, Ororo felt the fear slip onto her face.

“Hey,” Logan frowned, drawing her into his arms. “Don’t fall apart, girl, she don’t need that now. You gotta be strong.”

“She is so sick, Logan,” Ororo murmured against his chest, her voice muffled by his white t-shirt.

“Yeah, but we’ll get her some help,” he replied soothingly. “Come on.”

He reached behind her, opening the car door and gently shifting her to sit in it. Though most would think it beyond strange to see the unflappable Ororo Munroe come completely off her axle, Logan took it all in stride.

After ensuring both of his passengers were safely strapped into Scott’s car, he jogged around and slid into the driver’s seat. In mere seconds, he’d roared the engine to life and began easing down the driveway.

The ride to the small county hospital seemed to take hours, though Ororo knew Logan was most definitely not obeying all posted speed limits. Prita’s whimpers soon escalated into screams, which their protector responded to by punching the gas pedal.

He pulled into the ambulance bay, paying no heed to the signs that said only emergency vehicles were allowed to park there. Ororo leapt from the car, allowing Logan to pull her tiny, bellowing child from her car seat.

“We need a doctor,” he barked the moment they were in view of the nurse’s station.

The nurse looked surprised at the unlikely trio. Her bored green eyes looked from frazzled Ororo, to screaming Prita, and finally a snarling Wolverine.

“There are a few forms you have to fill out.”

“Are you mad?” Ororo screeched. “Her temperature is one hundred and four, we need emergency care!”

“I’m sorry but hospital policy clearly states…”

Prita let loose a screech worthy of the mutant they lovingly referred to as Banshee. Logan shifted the wailing girl in his arms, advancing on the now frightened nurse.

“Do you not have a soul, you unfeeling bitch?” he thundered loudly enough that all other activity in the emergency room ceased immediately. “Get me a fuckin’ doctor before I’m forced to get angry!”

Pride welled in Ororo’s chest when the nurse startled visibly. Logan continued to glare at her while Prita screamed her displeasure, batting her tiny dark fists in the air. For a moment, no one moved. Ororo suspected many in the immediate vicinity were terrified to so much as breathe.

“What seems to be the trouble?”

Logan and Ororo whipped around, both spotting a young woman in a smart white lab coat. She moved toward Logan, seemingly unafraid, warming a stethoscope with the palm of her hand.

“What’s the matter, baby?” the doctor cooed, pressing the stethoscope to Prita’s chest.

“She was fine this evening when I put her down,” Ororo recited instantly, relieved someone was doing something. “She woke a few hours ago crying. Her temperature is very high.”

“Yes, I can see that,” the woman clucked her tongue, motioning for the orderlies. “Ok, lets see what we can do to make her feel better.”

Logan placed Prita on a much too large bed that the orderlies appeared with. They rolled the little girl down the hall into an examination room, allowing both Ororo and Logan to follow. Doctor Tate, her badge provided useful information, asked Ororo several questions as the group settled in the curtained off room.

“Where was she born?”

Ororo swallowed thickly. “New Delhi, India.”

“American citizen?”

“Yes, I’m her mother.”

The doctor peered into Prita’s eyes, nose, and mouth, heedless to the girl’s cries of displeasure. “Previous medical conditions?”

“There were none in her medical record.”

Doctor Tate and Logan both turned to her curiously. Ororo sighed. “She is adopted. I have only had her for six months.”

“Ah,” Tate nodded. “I’ll need to run some blood work on her and there are forms to fill out, but we’ll start her on an IV and get her something to bring that fever down, all right?”

“Thank you, Doctor.”

The woman’s smile was warm and friendly in a way that comforted Ororo immensely.

“Why don’t you and Dad here go catch your breath and start on the paperwork? I’ll stay here with…”

“Prita,” Logan offered easily, closing his hand over Ororo’s shoulder. “Her name is Prita.”

“Pretty,” Tate grinned before going back to her tiny patient.

Logan led Ororo from the room, finding her a chair when the adrenaline rush left her as quickly as it had come. His hand was strong, giving her a jolt of sheer will that kept relieved sobs from wracking her shoulders.

In a little while, he would want to know the details and they would both question why she had chosen him as her knight with shining claws, but for now, she was content to simply enjoy the feeling of protection.

“Have a seat, I’ll go get those papers and call One-Eye.”

~**~

Shortly before dawn, an exhausted mother, slumbering child and stoic man entered the quiet mansion where they made their home. Logan held the door open, letting Ororo and her sleeping child enter without struggle.

Silently, he led them up the stairs, carrying the little elephant and a paper bag filled with medications. Ororo did not speak as they both settled Prita onto the bed, erecting a pillow brigade to ensure she would not hurt herself in sleep.

He jerked his head toward the bedroom door, as though he knew she would not be able to sleep. Nodding, she took the monitor and followed him out of the room.

Downstairs, she took a seat, letting him carrying on controlling the situation. She watched him as he made coffee, her chin propped in the palm of her hand. He really had no right to look so wonderfully masculine after a sleepless evening.

The taut lines of his back were accentuated by the stretch of his shirt. Unbidden, the memory of their night together drifted into her mind. Pieces flashed behind her eyes. His hands on her flesh, that soft, sexy smirk when she straddled him, that growling voice as she took him into her.

She fought her mind’s seduction, telling herself the ache building inside of her was a combination of exhaustion and sexual frustration.

It worked, until he turned to her, bringing a cup of steaming coffee and the last box of cheese Danishes.

“Just don’t tell Scott, you’ll get me in trouble,” he winked, sliding into the chair across from her.

Giving him an appreciative smile, she placed her hand over her heart. “I will take the secret to my grave.”

They each selected a sticky, sweet pastry, chewing over the box in lieu of collecting plates. The sun peeked over the edge of the kitchen window’s curtains while they eat breakfast in the quiet calm of early morning.

She was aware that they continued to stare at one another, as a pair of unfamiliar beasts crossing paths in the wild. Careful movements and long, penetrating looks passed between them where conversation would have stood for most.

At long last, he asked the question she knew had burned him since the day she’d returned.

“Why didn’t you just come out and say Prita’s adopted?”

Sighing, Ororo inhaled the rest of her Danish before she spoke.

“I did not realize it was anyone’s business.”

“It was mine, Ororo,” he countered without any hint of anger. “You know what it was like, thinking I’d gone and knocked you up?”

“I hope it was similar to being used as a replacement for a dead woman.”

She managed to keep the venom from her tone, though it was replaced with a voice akin to a whining teenager. Clearing her throat, she shook her head, refusing to apologize.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got thick skin,” he said plainly.

“I did not intend for you to get the wrong impression.”

“I didn’t think it was deliberate.”

They fell into a silence that seemed caught between comfortable and tense. Logan toyed with the handle of his coffee mug, leaving her to stare at his long, thick fingers.

“How’d you…I dunno,” Logan shrugged. “How’d you meet her?”

Ororo offered him a small smile. “I volunteered at an orphanage several times a week. When Prita was four months old, her parents were killed in a car accident. She had no known family, or none that wanted her.”

“Took one look at her and she stole your heart?” he was smiling when she met his eyes.

“Little thief,” Ororo nodded. “And she stubbornly refuses to give it back.”

“Damn her,” Logan chuckled for the first time in her presence since she returned.

“It was so strange,” Ororo rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “One moment I was handing out new clothes to some of the elder children, and then I heard a little cooing noise. I peeked into the crib nearby and there she was.”

Logan was watching her carefully, that fond, simple smile on his face. For some reason, he enjoyed hearing about her daughter. Warming, though completely against her own will, Ororo let herself laugh softly.

“How’d you manage to get her?” Logan questioned. “I’ve heard overseas adoption can be hell.”

Ororo gave him an incredulous look. “Really, Logan. Do you truly not know?”

For a moment, he looked confused. A beat later, the features of his face reflected something akin to a light bulb going off above his head.

“Chuck.”

“Of course,” she nodded. “He pulled strings, made calls, paid off government officials…”

At Logan’s shocked expression, Ororo burst into laughter. He swatted at her playfully, obviously not enjoying her humor at his expense. She managed to control herself a few moments later, though the smile on Logan’s face was very quickly drowning out the voice in the back of her head. The one that told her to run, as fast as she could, out of the room before he hurt her again had gone from an insistent scream to a dull murmur.

Luckily, Scott broke through the suddenly thick air as he entered the kitchen. His glasses were slightly askew, hair standing on end, and a blonde woman grumbling as she stumbled in behind him.

Ororo tossed Logan a quick, confused glance, to which he smirked knowingly as he hid the Danish box under the table.

“Morning,” Scott yawned. “Oh, how’s the munchkin princess?”

“Fine, now,” Ororo grinned. “She has quite the monster of an ear infection, but the doctor gave us something for the pain.”

“Good,” Scott and his blonde bedmate helped themselves to coffee, taking a seat at the table with Logan and Ororo.

She did not question him, assuming this was Renee, a woman the Professor had told her about with hints of annoyance in his tone. Logan met Ororo’s eyes and mimed falling asleep. She bit back a snort of laughter by the sheer force of will.

“You must be Ororo,” Renee said, her voice making the sound of nails on a chalkboard sound like Mozart.

“Yes, it is nice to meet you, Renee.”

“Scottie tell you all about me?” the woman preened, reaching over the table to kiss Scott noisily.

Logan gagged into his coffee cup.

Struggling to be polite through annoyance and humor, Ororo nodded with a false smile on her face. She kicked Logan under the table, warning him to stop trying to make her laugh. He chuckled, covering it with a cough rather convincingly.

“How are you this morning?”

“Wonderful,” Renee gushed. “I have a meeting in a little while though. We’re merging with a new company this week and there’s still so much to do!”

Horrified that she would spend her morning talking business practices with a woman whose voice made her want to claw her ears off, Ororo was grateful when her daughter came to the rescue. A soft whimper, followed swiftly by a wail brought Ororo to her feet.

“I had best check on the poor dear,” she excused herself quickly. “I do hope we can continue this later.”

“Sure! I’d like that,” Renee said with a bright smile. “Scottie just raves about you!”

“Isn’t that lovely?” she flashed them all a quick grin and turned to leave the room.

Once she was behind Renee, Ororo turned to find Logan glaring at her. Feeling slightly mischievous, she pointed at him and snickered silently. He made a scowling face at her, which brought laughter dangerously close to leaving her throat.

Covering her mouth to hold back a fit of giggles, she darted out of the kitchen.

~**~

That night, sleep eluded Ororo completely. Though the last twenty-four hours had exhausted her beyond anything before, she lay awake in her bed. Prita slept soundly beside her, the little snores ensuring her fretting mother than she was resting. Healing.

As she gazed at the ceiling, her thoughts drifted back to Logan. She should have been thinking of bedridden Charles just one floor above. She should have been more concerned with Prita’s recovery. End of term exams. The price of rice in China.

She should have been thinking of something -- anything -- other than Logan.

Her day was filled with Prita’s cries and helping students where she could. A stop to the Professor’s rooms had also been in order. The man looked at her strangely a few times, but said nothing of it.

Now, in the welcome night, Logan would not give her peace. She remembered the previous evening with sharp clarity. How he gathered Prita into his arms, shouted so ferociously at the rude nurse…he was not the man she had left behind.

Logan had never seemed caring and attentive to her. It was true that he was just as protective as any of them. He easily took to the children, though many would find it surprising. She still did not know why she thought of him when in need of help.

Oh, who did she think she was fooling? She knew instinctively that he would render whatever aid she required, no matter how strained their relationship. The look on his face when he encountered the whimpering child stole her breath away.

What would he be like if he had children of his own? How would he have reacted if Prita truly had been his?

These thoughts would only lead to madness. Slipping out of her bed, Ororo moved to the window, checking on slumbering Prita with a quick glance over her shoulder.

She leaned against the window frame, looking out into the moonlit night. That morning in the kitchen, he seemed so open. It was as though nothing happened between them. As though he truly saw her as a woman and not an echo of the love he’d lost.

For a painful moment, she’d imagined what it would be like to share those moments with him more often. Breakfasts and trips to the hospital when their child fell ill. It hurt her to crash back to reality, finding herself shivering and alone.

He’d been right the other day in the kitchen. What bothered her more than his betrayal was her inability to rid herself of the feelings she had carried since their first meeting in Charles’ office. Even separated by two years and thousands of miles, her weakness for Logan was not dulled even the slightest.
She hated him for it.

Had he called her name that night, things would have been so different. Perhaps she would have a child by now, borne of her body. Glancing at Prita again, she chided herself. That little girl was her child now, even if there was no blood shared between mother and daughter. She loved Prita more than life itself.

If only she could rid herself of that stomach-swooping, heart-thudding, head-spinning feeling Logan could always invoke in her.

She had to be practical now. Prita needed her mother to be wholly there for her, not distracted by a man with a sexy smile and well-muscled limbs. Ororo made her decision the day the paperwork was signed.

For Prita’s sake, she would simply find a way to bury her feelings for Logan, much as she had before that night spent in his arms. It was a memory that would have to be enough for her.

Ororo’s eyes darted back to the window, drawn immediately to a shadowed figure standing at the edge of the forest. As though he sensed her eyes on him, the unmistakable silhouette lifted its head. She could see the moonlight reflect in his eyes as their gazes locked.

“Wolverine.”

Long moments passed as they held eye contact. The dull throb in her head screamed that she had held her breath too long, but she was unable to move. Heat and promise of delicious violence radiated from that dark stare. She felt that primal call in the deep, secret places of her heart, warring with the memory of his flesh on hers, the feel of him throbbing inside her.

Prita whimpered.

Ororo turned her head, breaking the moment and gasping for air. She watched the tiny, blanket-covered form on her bed adjust and fall back into a deep sleep. Ororo whipped her head back to the window.

Logan was gone.

~**~
Ororo speaks:

I knew I was in trouble. It’s easy to bury your feelings beneath hatred. Easier when you think the person you are in love with does not even realize you are female.

It is a great deal more difficult when that person seems to awake, as though in a long sleep. That is what I feel happened that night. It was the first time Logan had looked upon me with that kind of fire in his eyes.

Heady, thick, and easy to lose yourself in. It was how he had looked upon Jean. No, perhaps not. I do not recall Logan’s eyes ever reflecting so much of his primitive nature in Jean’s presence. He had endeavored to be more man than beast with her.

I wanted that beast. I think, perhaps, that Logan realized it that night. It was in those stolen moments, our eyes locked across the school grounds, that I knew I would never truly flush Logan from my system.

My decision, at that point, was logical. If I could exorcise him properly, maybe I could move on. Oh, how wrong I was. Even with Prita’s presence telling me to behave myself, Logan could always convince me to be naughty.

I had no idea how much those few seconds would change my life. Or his.
5. Bad Form by Gaineewop


Chapter Five: Bad Form

And when you walk up on the dance floor
Nobody cannot ignore the way you move your body, girl
And everything so unexpected - the way you right and left it
So you can keep on taking it
~Wyclef Jean (Shakira’s Hips Don’t Lie)



Logan speaks:

I still think about that night, standing on the edge of the school grounds. Her eyes were bathed in moonlight, desire and need crashing with the lingering sting of betrayal. It was all I could do to keep from falling to my knees and begging forgiveness.

Hey, give me a break. I get poetic when I think about the events leading up to falling in love with her. Its not every day a man finds out his heart up and took off, finding a new home in the hands of a woman that hated his guts. Doesn’t mean I won’t still gut someone for poking fun at me. Keep that in mind, eh?

Anyway, like I was sayin’. After that night, I started paying attention to her. I mean, I’d watched her before, but it was like wakin’ up. I couldn’t. Stop. Staring.

She noticed. Never said a blessed word about it. Through the years, I’ve had time to reflect on everything that happened. I came to the conclusion that Prita’s moving into ‘Ro’s heart wasn’t an accident. Fate had given us our own personal Cupid.

Doesn’t mean the road to bein’ together was easy. She might have made it harder. ‘Course, when it comes to ‘Ro and me, we usually don’t need help in that department.


~**~

A week passed after Prita’s trip to the emergency room without much to shatter the lives of the X-Men. The Professor’s condition steadily improved, under the watchful eyes of Big Blue.

Logan was happy to see the school year end. The mansion was devoid of any excess mutant students, many of them having returned to their families for the summer. Those that remained were either abandoned, runaways, or wannabe X-Men.

As he left his rooms following a shower “ training sessions with Cyclops tended to be eventful “ Logan did a quick check of the grounds, ensuring none of their hormone-impaired youths were getting into too much trouble.

An impromptu competition was being waged, rather loudly, over the X-Box in the main parlor, where Rogue was keeping little Prita busy. Logan knew Ororo had slipped into the Danger Room with Hank and Jubilee some time ago. She’d spent days muttering about her battle instincts getting rusty.

“Hey,” Logan greeted over the encouraging shouts of the remaining half-dozen mutants surrounding the television.

“Afternoon,” Rogue replied with a cheerful grin.

He moved to his young friend, an easy smile covering his mouth when he noted Prita making what looked to be some sort of fort out of small wooden blocks. The toddler’s tiny, beautiful face was screwed into an expression of deep concentration. She did not even look up as she took the blocks Rogue handed her one by one.

“What’s goin’ on here?” Logan asked as he perched on the arm of the sofa, his arms crossed over his chest.

“Princess Prita is studying to become an architect, what’s it look like?”

“She’s got a good handle on those, don’t she?” he nodded with a hint of admiration.

“Seems like,” Rogue chuckled as Prita demanded another block from her distracted partner with a curt gurgle.

There was no denying that the child had wormed her way into Logan’s heart. He had a soft spot for children. They were so innocent, so trusting, and unfailingly honest when it came to their feelings. Prita demonstrated this whenever Bobby or Peter attempted to hold her. She was somewhat picky about those she kept close.

As though she had only just noticed him, Prita looked up, meeting Logan’s eyes and breaking into a wide grin. He had to return it, finding the sight of her four little teeth more effective than armor-piercing bullets.

“Whatcha got there, darlin’?” he questioned, sliding from the sofa to the floor in front of her.

Immediately, Prita rattled off in her form of baby-speech, pointing to several areas of her block fort as though describing the armaments to him. He knew better than to exaggerate his reactions; Prita tended to scowl when someone lavished her with praise.

“Ah don’t get it,” Rogue said quietly.

“What?” Logan grunted, his eyes on Prita.

“She likes you, more than any o’ us,” the girl said with a hint of jealousy.

“I’m prettier than you,” he countered, ducking to avoid the expected swat.

“It’s kinda sweet,” Marie went on. “Ah’ve never seen ya so at ease.”

“Maybe it’s cause I know she won’t hurt me.”

“Holy hell, Logan,” Rogue said, holding back laughter. “That was almost profound, should Ah go get Hank. Maybe you’re comin’ down with somethin’.”

“Shaddup, Marie,” he chuckled, tossing a block at her.

A moment later, the telephone rang. Logan ignored it, hearing one of the students grab the receiver between bouts of cheering.

“Hey Rogue, it’s Nightcrawler for you!” Artie shouted over the din.

“Ah hell,” she sighed sucking her lip between her teeth.

Logan glanced at her. “Somethin’ wrong?”

“Ah can’t take the call is all,” she shrugged, looking broken hearted. “He can’t always call an’ all, bein’ at the monastery, but Ah can’t go off an’ leave Prita.”

He rolled his eyes, nudging her gently. “Go take your call. The Elf will be all weepy if ya don’t. I’ll look after the girlie here.”

Rogue’s eyes reflected relief, though she chewed on her lip with faux concern. “Ya don’ mind?”

“Naw,” Logan shook his head, collecting the pile of blocks from her lap. “Go on. We’ll be fine.”

“Thanks!”

The girl leapt to her feet, tearing off toward the kitchen where she wouldn’t be overheard. Logan chuckled, shaking his head in despair as Prita requested a block from the cache.

For several minutes, he played with the darling child, carefully fixing weak points in her grand fort to ensure it wouldn’t fall apart on her. She kept that studious expression on her face, reminding him of Ororo when she was working out a puzzle.

He tried, he really did, to keep thoughts of the child from bringing out thoughts of her mother. It proved futile time and time again. Since that night, watching her watch him from the window, she’d run through his damned mind so often, it was surprising he didn’t call Chuck by her name.

Trying to see her as though Jean had never colored his vision wasn’t easy. He still found himself comparing the two when he studied her magnificent features. It always filled him with shame, but he doubted that Jean would ever be completely forgotten.

Jean had been the first woman to awake something inside of him. Pieces of his soul he’d never remembered having roared to life when the gentle woman reached for him. He’d latched on to that kindness, reveled in it to the point that he wasn’t completely sure he wanted to let her go. He would always miss her, mourn her on some level.

But could he move past it, to see Ororo as she’d wanted him to?

Memories of his first trips to the mansion flooded him when he least expected it. Things long lost in the hollows of his mind. The first time he met the weather witch was a common culprit. She’d looked upon him with that detached interest, though he remembered her smile when he asked Chuck if they called him “Wheels”.

Another was her challenge, just after Magneto kidnapped Rogue from the train station.

At least I’ve chosen a side.

Hadn’t she always smiled at him? That soft, slightly amused curve of her lips when she found something he had said or done entertaining. Hadn’t she always been there when needed? Her fierce devotion to her students, the X-Men, the dream was admirable. He remembered that it was Ororo who heeded his impassioned pleas to return to Alkali Lake.

She’d been standing right beside him when they found Jean’s body. Her hand had come to his shoulder, even as she screamed her horror and pain. Always there, on the fringe but never center stage.

It was through these snatches of memory that he realized he’d seen her long before that lusty romp in her bedroom two years prior. Jean, as usual, had simply muddied the waters too much for him to pay attention.

That wasn’t the case now.

So engrossed was Logan in his thoughts, he barely noticed the elevated voice levels of the teens surrounding the television. He looked up, blinking through his confusion at being brought forcefully from his musings.

He caught Prita in his arms when a violent shove sent Artie careening into the baby’s play area, destroying her little fort with clumsy feet.

“HEY!” Logan shouted, covering the baby’s ears. “Be careful, you little twats!”

“But, Logan…” Artie immediately began to make excuses.

“But nothin’,” he cut the boy off. “There’s a baby in the house now. Try to be a little friggin’ considerate!”

As if on cue, Prita slapped Logan’s shoulder to get his attention. He looked down at her, his heart wrenching at the look on her beautiful face. She pointed to her ruined masterpiece, tears slipping down her dark cheeks.

“Did they break your fort, baby girl? Little bastards,” Logan glared up at the boys, noting each of them looked downright ashamed.

“We’re sorry, Prita,” Artie reached down as though to hold her.

Normally, the child seemed to like the amphibian-tongued mutant, but in the aftermath of her shattered toy, she clung to Logan and screamed.

Shushing her quickly, Logan bounced the girl in his arms as he stood. He reached over, smacking the back of six post-pubescent heads.

“Cover your ears, Princess,” Logan muttered, gesturing to her ears.

Two chubby hands instantly clapped over her ears, giving Logan free reign with which to verbally ass-ream the idiot boys that made Prita cry. Each of them was dead silent, accepting the punishment without so much as a whimper.

As Logan carted the broken-hearted child out of the room, he ordered the boys to clean up their mess and then see Scott for evening chores. A droned chorus of “Yes, Wolverine” followed them out of the room.

“Come on, baby doll,” Logan bounced Prita in his arms. “Don’t you worry bout them, I’ll take ya out to the lake and show ya how to make a sandcastle.”

~**~


Several hours later, Logan trekked back to the house, Prita sleeping on his shoulder. They’d spent the entire afternoon building not only a castle made of sand, but soldiers, canons, horses, and a moat.

She’d cheered up only seconds after the incident, but as he had nothing else to do with his time, it wasn’t a hardship to spend a few hours hanging out with a toddler. Prita had laughed when he reenacted a battle “ complete with sound effects “ for her benefit. She’d curled into his arms as the fingers of duck played across the sky, both of them content to just sit in silence.

As they made their way back to the house, Logan spotted the lean line of a woman awaiting their arrival on the porch. He waved with his free arm, keeping Prita steady with the other. Ororo waved back, though she stayed where she was, waiting for them to reach her.

She was smiling when Logan took the steps carefully, not wanting to jostle the exhausted child. Storm’s hair was pulled back from her face, still damp from a recent shower. Her impossibly long legs were covered in worn jeans and a t-shirt bearing the infamous “X” logo stretched across her breasts.

Her feet, much to his pleasure, were bare to show off painted toenails.

“Have a good time?” she asked in the curious tone adults use around slumbering children.

“Yeah,” Logan smiled, patting Prita’s back. “She’s fun.”

Ororo chuckled softly. “Yes, she can be. Did you make a sandcastle?”

He nodded, that warm, fuzzy feeling rolling in his chest. “Horses and soldiers, too.”

“She loves to build,” the serene mother winked at him. “I heard about the altercation in the parlor.”

Logan raised a hand in self-defense. “Hey, I told her to cover her ears before I started swearin’.”

For some reason, that made Ororo laugh. She chuckled quietly, motioning for him to hand Prita to her. After some careful juggling and a completely “ well maybe not completely “ innocent brush against Ororo’s breast, they’d successfully transferred child to mother.

“Thank you for looking after her.”

“Anytime,” he stuffed his hands into his pockets, fearful that he might give into the urge to cup her cheek. “I like the rugrat.”

Ororo paused, then nodded slowly, her soft, delicate hand rubbing her daughter’s back. Her sapphire blue eyes locked on to his and for a long, breathless moment, neither of them spoke. It reminded him of the other night, her watching him so intently from the window. He wanted, so desperately, to know what was going on in her head.

“I--” She faltered.

“Whatever you wanna say, just say it, ‘Ro.”

She took a deep breath, her heart thudding so loudly in her chest Logan was sure he didn’t need his mutated ears to hear it. After a moment, which he was sure contained a mental pep talk on her part, she spoke again, her voice stronger.

“I do not think it wise for you to spend so much time alone with Prita.”

Confused, hurt, and instantly on his guard, Logan crossed his arms over his chest and grunted.

“Why?”

Ororo looked unsure for only a split second. “She is at an impressionable age and any male figure bonding with her as you do will…”

Logan frowned. “You think she’ll think I’m her dad?”

“Yes.”

“And you don’t want that.”

“No.”

They fell into an uncomfortable silence, broken only by Logan’s labored breathing. He wanted to be close to Prita. He needed to be closer to Ororo, though why remained a mystery.

As if reading his thoughts, Ororo cleared her throat.

“There is no future between us, Logan,” she said softly. “I do not want to confuse an innocent child because of our mistakes.”

Clenching his teeth so hard they hurt, Logan nodded quickly. “Fine. Do what ya want.”

He’d intended on a dramatic exit, complete with a slam of the sliding kitchen door. He’d planned to stomp through the house, directly up to his bedroom, snarling at anyone unfortunate to cross his path. He’d wanted, very much, to let Ororo know that her stubborn request wasn’t going to change anything.

That, of course, became a non-issue when Scott poked his head outside with a wide, oblivious grin.

“Hey, you two up for a Grown-Ups Night Out?”

~**~


He sat alone at the very back of the booth the group had commandeered, shrouded in darkness. The curl of his cigar smoke was lost in the shadows, his presence easily forgotten among the throngs of gyrating bodies and sickeningly lovey couples.

But Logan knew Ororo could feel his eyes on her.

Once or twice she’d looked over toward the booth, her eyes drifting over his hiding spot as though searching for the gaze that set the fine hairs on the back of her neck to attention.

His gaze never left the swells of her body, though dozens of people attempted to obscure his view. The tinkling chimes and Klaxons blaring mingled with the sultry throb of the music to which Ororo moved her body. Male voices chanted in a language he couldn’t quite place, but the beat was one made to dance to.

She’d definitely been drinking, he mused as she waved her arms in the air, her body pressed against Scott’s. They danced in perfect time, as though they’d done it a hundred times before. Ororo was mouthing the words to the music, a song she obviously liked.

There was a gentle sway to her body that betrayed her tipsy state. Scott’s hands were in safe places on her hips, but Logan still ground the end of his cigar between his teeth.

Yes, he was jealous. He couldn’t get the image of her naked, writhing body out of his mind. He wanted her that way again. He didn’t have any right, he knew that. It didn’t make the desire clenching in his stomach any easier to ignore.

As the Klaxons and chimes continued, Logan inhaled another lungful of smoke, glaring at the dancing pair so captivating his attention. When Renee appeared, laughing into hysterics, to collect her lover, Logan hoped Ororo would return to the table.

Instead, she simply continued on, both arms weaving like snakes above her head, hips swinging from side to side. Her wrists were decorated with several bangle bracelets, which made her jingle as they’d driven to the small nightclub just outside of Westchester.

I shouldn’t want her like this, Logan chided himself. She’s nothin’ but rude, unless I’m hangin’ with Prita…God, why can’t I just forget about her?

He was still angry at her request that he keep his distance from her daughter. There was still the bitterness of betrayal between them. None of it mattered as he watched her dance. Those impossibly bright eyes scanned his hiding place again, without warning.

Logan leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table so she would see him. He noted with a hint of pride that her swaying form faltered for a split second. Her eyelashes lowered quickly as the pace of the music changed.

A seductive, vibrant Latin beat replaced the chimes. Ororo instantly broke into a smile, her eyes not leaving his as she sang to the tune. Lust flared between them and for once, Logan was certain it was not one sided.

He ground his cigar out on the table, sliding out of the booth before he could second-guess himself. Ororo had turned her back, but she still wove her body to the music. Her hips swung with mind-numbing speed, her control over the muscles in her abdomen almost alien.

When he reached the dance floor, she turned back to him. Her chin lifted in defiance, as though daring him to pick his way through the crowd to her.

Without really meaning to, he accepted the silent challenge. Grinding bodies were easily sidestepped, his leather jacket removed and tossed onto the floor, forgotten.

Ororo’s eyes kept his gaze even when he lashed out an arm, capturing her waist easily. Her body instantly flattened against his, moving them both to the sexy throb of the music. Logan didn’t think about the fact that he hated to dance, that the woman in his arms was a constant annoying enigma.

Instead, he flattened one of his palms against her back, supporting her as she tossed her body back, revealing the long, lean lines of her torso. He pulled her back up, grinding their flesh together. Her legs entwined with his, her soft form thrown almost carelessly over his.

She didn’t speak, but he could see the hint of fear in her eyes, easily drowned out by the courage of one too many drinks and the easy lust of music. Both of her hands came up to wrap around the nape of his neck, pulling him closer until their foreheads touched.

“You do not dance,” Ororo whispered under the thump of bass.

“I don’t,” he replied, inhaling the honey-rain scent of her.

“I am not going to kiss you.”

“Liar.”

A firm yank on the back of his neck brought his lips to hers. He took the invitation without a thought to the consequences. She could be too drunk to know what she was doing, this could end up a repeat of the incident two years ago.

Frankly, he didn’t give a good goddamn.

His free hand slid to her cheek, cupping it to hold her in place while he ravished her mouth. His tongue swept inside of her parted lips, tasting the alcohol and tang of something to acutely her own that he groaned. Their bodies never ceased swaying to the music, their lips locked together in passion.

Unlike the last two times he’d kissed her, she started it. Her hands began to smooth over his clothed flesh, igniting little fires all over him. Did she have any idea what she did to him? If so, did she revel in the power?

Tugging her a little closer, he could feel the heat of her body, smell the immediate and devastating effect he had on her. She could deny it all she wanted, but he knew she still loved and wanted him.

Someday, he’d take her again. They’d find themselves in a tangled, sweaty mess on his bed, and replace the memory of betrayal with something more pleasurable.

But not tonight.

Roughly, Logan pulled away from her, panting for breath and cursing himself.

“I wish we could make up our fuckin’ minds,” he growled, turning his back on her and leaving the dance floor.

He ignored the entreating call from Scott as he pushed his way out of the club. After stopping to ask the bouncer to call him a cab, he moved into the chilly night, standing on the curb and cursing himself.

The sidewalk was lined with hopefuls eagerly seeking entrance into the nightclub. Apparently, Ororo was oblivious to that fact or too far-gone in rage to care when she appeared in all her leather-clad glory to face him.

“I wish you would stop confusing me!”

Her shouted accusation silenced the line of club-hoppers. Logan whirled to face her, trying to avoid reacting to those kiss-bruised lips and tousled hair.

“You’ve always been fuckin’ confused!” he roared in response. “Ya love me, but ya hide it. You fuck me, then take off. You want me. You don’t. How do you even fuckin’ function with your head so far up your ass?”

She clenched her hands in fury. “You are no better! You love Jean. You mourn her, yet you take me into your bed. You define yourself by who you hurt. I cannot help it if I love you, if I want you, Logan. I wish to all the gods in heaven that I could stop.”

“Then stop!” he thundered, taking a menacing step toward her. “Or you’re gonna end up right in my bed again an’ this time, I won’t be keen on lettin’ ya go!”

“Perhaps if I fuck,” she relished the word and his shock at her use of it. “you again, I will finally get you out of my system.”

“You think so?” he snarled, not caring when Scott appeared at his side, trying to calm him. “Let’s give it a shot, darlin’. Maybe if I can have ya screamin’ my name like a wanton slut again, I’ll get YOU out of MINE!”

“Logan, stop,” Scott plead, trying to restrain him.

Ororo gave a sharp laugh, shrugging her arms from Kitty’s grasp. “Wanton slut? Trust me, Logan, you were not that good.”

He made a quick lunge, wanting to shut her beautiful, destructive mouth by force. Scott moved directly in front of him, scowling for all the smaller man was worth.

“That’s enough,” he commanded quickly. “Get in that cab and go home, Logan. We’ll be right behind you.”

“She--” Logan began, gesturing to the fuming woman.

“I know, but this isn’t the time and it’s definitely not the place,” his friend soothed.

Logan turned away violently, moving toward the cab waiting for him. Scott opened the door, spoke to the driver and then shut Logan in.

As the car pulled away from the club, Logan thrust his hands into his hair and snarled to himself. It was going to be impossible to live with her now. Something had to give.
6. Walk the Line by Gaineewop


Chapter Six: Walk The Line

I find it very, very easy to be true
I find myself alone when each day is through
Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine, I walk the line
~Johnny Cash



The fight outside of the nightclub sent rumors flying through the mansion with sharpshooter precision. No said anything directly to Ororo “ she assumed Logan was just as fortunate “ but there were lingering, surprised looks and whispered conversations that ended just before she entered a room.

Appalled by her own behavior, she’d tried to make amends the following morning. Logan had, quite rudely, slammed his bedroom door in her face. She knew the feral man wanted to only show her the same kindness she’d shown him. The taste of her own medicine was more bitter than she truly wanted to admit.

All through that horrid excuse for a Sunday, she withdrew into herself, content to spend her time with Prita.

Of course, the Professor sent for her shortly after noon. Prita was left in Jubilee’s capable hands while she went to her fate.

Charles was now back in his wheel chair, though the school’s functions still came directly to Scott. He was weak, even as his pallid cheeks flooded with a healthy glow. Her mentor provided her with a warm smile as she entered the room.

He wheeled his chair to the small parlor adjoining his bedroom suite. She took an uneasy seat on the upholstered settee, tucking her legs under her backside.

The one thing she did not want to think or talk about today was the resident Wolverine.

“Would you like to tell me what the trouble is between yourself and Logan?”

Sighing, she put a hand to her face, pinching the bridge of her nose. “Not particularly.”

“I see,” Charles nodded. He folded his hands in his lap, leveling her with that penetrating blue stare that she was certain could force the Devil into confession.

Having known him many, many years, Ororo was able to withstand the unrelenting stare for a few moments while she gathered her thoughts. Charles knew about the troubled history between his two X-Men, surely he would understand.

But did she? The more she was around Logan, the faster she was morphing into a person she did not like. Petty, vindictive, and hurtful became adjectives applied to her more and more. Logan was not entirely at fault, but Ororo liked to blame him. He drew out her repressed impulses of jealousy and irrational anger.

Why? Because she could not avoid the simple truth that through it all, she loved him. It blossomed like a living thing inside her, coiling around her heart until she was sure the only way to remove it was suicide.

“My dear child,” Charles said in that soothing, understanding tone. “Is that truly how you feel?”

Not angry that he’d scanned the surface of her mind while she was lost in thought “ it was so much easier than searching for words “ she nodded. Putting her hand over her lips, she took several deep breaths, trying to reign in her emotions.

“I cannot explain it, Charles,” she replied, slightly muffled by her fingers. “I cannot hate him. I cannot feign indifference. He riles me up inside and brings what I would like to keep closer to the vest to the surface for all to see.”

“Very few people have done that to you,” he nodded slowly, studying her face with that fatherly gaze.

“One, actually,” she smiled, fighting tears. “And she left me.”

“She did not want to, my dear,” Charles’ voice betrayed his emotion, the loss of beloved Jean.

“But she did and for a time, I hated her for leaving me all alone,” Ororo inhaled shakily. “I hated her for dominating Logan’s thoughts, for not seeing what it was doing to me, and more than anything, I hate her for abandoning me.”

Charles was silent for a moment, then his voice broke through the pain and scattered inner thoughts of his friend. “You abandoned her before she sacrificed herself.”

Her first instinct was to deny his words, to stand and let thunder shatter the windows of his office. When she opened her mouth to contradict the telepath’s words, no sound passed her lips.

“You were caught up in many things, Ororo,” Charles went on, heedless to her expression of shock. “Your feelings for Logan mounted, taking you mentally away from her so she would not feel it through your link. I have never known two women so close as you were, yet at the end you were so far apart…”

“Do you think I wanted her to die believing I hated her?” Ororo lashed out. “If I could have those minutes back again, I would have shoved Scott out of the way and talked to her through you. I would have said…”

Her voice failed. Caught in the look on Charles’ face and her inner demons, Ororo was not sure she could continue.

“What?” he demanded gently. “Tell me. Say it aloud, Ororo, before it destroys you.”

Though she shook her head and lowered her eyes, she whispered. “I would have told her that no man was worth fighting over. I want those minutes back so I could tell her how much I loved her, that she was the only person on this earth that truly understood me.”

The heavens opened up, ruining the clear, blue sky that had greeted the day before. Fat, heavy raindrops pattered against the open window, weeping where the weather mistress refused to.

“I want her back, Charles,” Ororo’s voice was strained. “If I could have anything in the world, I would ask for her to come home.”

His large, soothing hand reached across the empty space between them. The gesture was so simple, yet filled with meaning. She had reached for no one in the aftermath of Jean’s death. When, finally, the urge to connect struck her, she’d fallen into Logan only to be burned.

This time, she accepted the help, taking Charles’ hand in hers, forcing him to wheel closer.

“Logan was not the only one betrayed two years ago,” he whispered, squeezing her hand. “All this time, you felt as though you had betrayed Jean.”

“He loved her,” Ororo whimpered. “I took advantage of that, let myself believe it was me he wanted.”

“He did love her,” Charles nodded. “But much can change in two years. You, my dear girl, still live in that moment. When Jean’s life was taken, you allowed Death to take you as well.”

The truth of that statement hit Ororo like a fist to the abdomen. She could only nod absently, making the sound of falling rain plop more forcefully against the window.

“What do I do? How can I let go when my soul still reaches for her hand?”

“I do not know,” his voice broke with emotion. “She would agree that you have carried this burden too long, child. You must let her go. Find clarity, and there she will be to guide you, as she always has.”

~**~

Ororo left the mansion on a strong current of warm air, propelling herself into the rain-soaked sky with the grace of one in her element. She whipped her body into a tight circle, pulling in the winds around her, forming a cyclone that hovered too far above the earth to cause damage.

Spinning the in beautiful core of such a destructive thing, Ororo raised her face to the heavens.

“JEAN!”

Soft sobs left her throat, followed swiftly by the screams of the broken hearted. The winds and rain shrieked her pain, calling to the woman taken too soon. Lifting her hands to the sky, Ororo lost herself in the twister. Violent undercurrents tore at her clothing, whipped her hair into a banner that was suddenly filled with twigs and leaves.

Even as the rain soaked her to the bone, she cried out again.

“Jean! I’m sorry!”

Only the howl of wind answered her broken cry. “I miss you. I will always miss you. Why can I not let you go?”

She paused, taking herself and the tornado higher, creating a funnel as wide as the mansion itself. “Why did you leave me all alone? How did you think I could live without you?”

A warm blanket of air that had no place in the roaring winds covered Ororo’s shoulders. So surprised was the white-haired mutant at the gentle, soothing touch, that she nearly lost control of the storm surrounding her.

“I do not want to say goodbye,” Ororo screamed, her voice lost in the wind. “I cannot release my pain.”

The blanket of alien air wrapped her more tightly, drawing in her outstretched arms in what felt like an achingly familiar embrace. Still twisting in the ferocity of her storm, Ororo’s tears mingled with the rain on her cheeks.

“I love you,” she whispered. “Know, wherever you are, that I loved you to the end and I will continue to love you until I pass this world.”

That impossible embrace dissipated slowly. “Will I see you again, my sister? Please, promise me I will see you again.”

As though in answer, a thick, bright rainbow jutted through the raging twister. Taken aback, Ororo paused in reverent silence before she threw her head back, laughing.

“You never were subtle!”

She could hear the faint hint of gentle laughter on the wind; somehow sure it was not her imagination.

“Come, let us fly together, one last time,” Ororo shouted to the merry sound. “Then we part to be united again some day.”

With that, Ororo, the twister, and the sound of her beloved friend’s laughter vanished, leaving only cheerful sunlight and rain-soaked earth in their wake.

~**~

The tornado was not brought up by anyone living at the mansion. The remainder of Ororo’s day passed with no mention of the monstrous storm. Only Scott said anything, and his only words were a simple “Feel better?”

She did, much to her surprise. Rolling for hours in happy memories and screeching winds, knowing that her friend heard her on some level had done wonders for her wounded heart. At dinner, she sat between Charles and Henry as though nothing changed, laughing when her big, blue friend made jokes for her benefit.

When Logan appeared, he sat across from her, seemingly untouched by her change in attitude. He ate in relative silence, pausing only when Prita managed to toss one of her utensils or toys at him.

He would retrieve the item and hand it back to the little one with a smile, but not even a glance was spared for Ororo herself.

She made up her mind to speak with him, even if it took electrocution to get him to hear her out. Her “talk” with Jean had helped allay some of the guilt she’d carried, but Logan still confused the hell out of her.

After dinner was eaten and dishes washed, Ororo gave her daughter a bath. They read from a picture book, as per the nightly ritual. Then the child fell asleep on her mother’s bed, content and happy.

If only she could sleep that way. Ororo took the baby monitor with her, heading out of the room. The sound of Johnny Cash was faint in the hall, hinting that Logan was back to hibernating in his bedroom.

Steeling her spine, she tiptoed down the corridor, coming to a stop outside of Logan’s room. She knew it was likely that he had heard and smelled her long before she reached him, but she knocked anyway.

No answer.

Frowning, Ororo tried again.

Still nothing.

Setting her jaw, she tried the handle, not surprised to find it was locked. With a look to the heavens, she mentally grumbled. It’s not illegal to pick a lock in your own home.


Satisfied with her rationale, she took a bobby pin from the underside of her watch and kneeled in front of Logan’s door. She usually carried a set of picks on a mission, but a pin worked just as well for a simple lock like this one.

Carefully, she flipped the tumblers around until she heard the definitive click telling her the door was now unlocked.

With another politely unanswered knock, Ororo twisted the knob and pushed the door open. She slid inside, squinting in the pitch dark that suddenly consumed her. The monitor buzzed with interference, so she flicked the volume down several notches.

Once her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she scanned the room for signs of it’s occupant. With a frown, she noted that Logan was not on his bed, nor smoking by the window, as he normally did in the evenings.

It was a shock when the adjoining bathroom door swung open, revealing a very wet Wolverine. Her only saving grace was that he’d slung a towel over his hips while shaking the excess water from his hair.

Her eyes swept over his semi-nude form without her permission, taking in the masculine lines of his shoulders and the swell of muscle still damp from his shower. As he moved into the room, she watched these muscles tense and flex, heat pounding through her body to rest in the pit of her stomach.

Desire more acute than she really would have liked, she licked her lips. Memory of his touch and kiss ran rampant in her mind, even as her body screamed for more.

“You must want somethin’ pretty bad, breakin’ into a man’s private room and all.”

She didn’t even register that he’d spoken. So absorbed in her careful catalogue of his…attributes was she that all thought seemed lost to her.

“’Ro?”

The growl of her name nearly closed her eyes, remembering how he’d said it before, when consumed by passion. Would she never rid herself of what this man did to her?

“Hello?”

Jolting back to the present, she cleared her throat, forcing her eyes to see past his scowl and to those coal-black eyes.

“I wanted…” she trailed off, searching for the reason she’d come to see him.

“What?” he said unpleasantly.

“I wanted to apologize.” Yes, that was it. “For how I treated you last night.”

“Really?” he crossed his arms, leaning on the doorframe that led to the bathroom.

Johnny’s thick, guitar-accompanied vocals changed pitch as the compact disc in Logan’s stereo switched songs. Standing there, the old country of “I Walk The Line” slipping through the room, Logan staring at her with that challenge in his eyes, Ororo found herself transfixed again.

“Don’t,” he said curtly. “You don’t wanna go down this path again, kiddo.”

Everything in her body disagreed with him. She wanted to go galloping down this path with him, to replace the bad with good. Maybe they’d hate each other even more in the morning, it would likely make things worse, but at that moment, Ororo didn’t care.

“Get out, ‘Ro,” Logan commanded, standing straight. “Don’t…”

She took one step forward, finding some bravery from a place she’d thought long-dead.

“Just once more,” she whispered. “All I ask is we get it right this time.”

“Then what?” he snarled. “We go on our merry way?”

Another step. “You were right. Perhaps this is the only way.”

“You’ve lost your mind.”

But there was a waver in his voice, one that told Ororo she was getting through. They stood across the room, eyes locked and Johnny whining from the stereo.

“Logan…”

She took several more steps, coming to a stop directly in front of him. He did not flinch, nor move, nor order her out again. Part of her was screaming to escape before it went any further, but her heart and body easily overtook her mind.

“Don’t…” His voice was a begging plea, even as Ororo grasped his hands, pulling him closer.

“Just once more,” she repeated, this time against his mouth. “Once more and I will walk away.”

Logan shook his head. “No, you won’t. We ain’t the “walkin’ away” types.”

He leaned closer, enveloping her in a searing kiss. His hands slid around her waist, pulling her closer to him. She could smell the tang of his soap, taste the mint of his toothpaste when his tongue slid past her lips.

Bodies ground together as Logan lifted her from her feet completely. He walked blinding into his room as Ororo wrapped her legs about his waist. He felt so good. It had been months since she’d taken a lover and no one ever touched her as Logan.

He pressed her into the mattress, letting her hands flutter down his chest as their kiss broke when air became necessity. The tucked knot of his towel fell away and she tossed the damp cloth over the side of the bed.

Logan busied himself with the buttons of her blouse, slipping each through its hole without fumbling. Her hands glided over the hard muscle of his chest, his arms, wanting to memorize every inch of him.

She gasped when his mouth latched onto the flesh of her throat, his teeth grazing her pulse point. Undulating beneath him, Ororo moved her hands to his waist and then back, taking his backside in both palms. At her not-so-gentle squeeze, Logan nipped at her skin, a groan leaving his throat.

He undressed her slowly, his mouth and hands never leaving her flesh. Ororo was sent into mindlessness at every lick and grope as layers of her clothing fell away. His eyes met hers again when she was bare before him.

“Slow,” he growled. “I’m gonna take it real slow.”

Sighing, Ororo watched his as gaze swept downward, lingering over her newly revealed body. He licked his lips when his eyes found the swells of her breasts.

“Gonna savor this,” he went on, both hands finding purchase on her thighs. “So you’ll feel me long after I’m gone.”

“I still do,” she whimpered under his touch. “From the first time.”

“This is the first time,” he countered before taking her lips again.

His hands were everywhere. She felt him caress the long lines of her legs before his palms flattened on her belly. Each breast was cupped gently, his mouth still playing over hers with possessive passion.

When he reared up, her hands fell back against the pillows. He broke their kiss, swooping down to take a taut nipple into his mouth. At the feel of his hot tongue, Ororo cried out, arching her body closer. His hand took the other breast, twisting it’s pebbled peak so that she gasped his name.

The moment he finished with her breasts, he traveled downward. A wet path trailed down to her navel, where he paused to feather gentle kisses over her bellybutton. Ororo’s head thrashed against the pillows, her hands moving down to wind in his hair.

Faster than a jolt of lightning, he took her wrists in one large palm. “No. Keep them off for now.”

Obeying without question, Ororo put her hands into her own hair, letting him get back to his sweet torture. Her belly flexed as his hands gripped her knees, drawing her legs apart.

At the first touch of his tongue to her center, Ororo groaned loudly. Gasping, she felt him coax her swollen clitoris from its protective hood, his strong hands kneading at the flesh of her thighs. Fire swept through her blood, centering on the man feasting between her legs.

His tongue circled her clit eagerly, the tempo increasing as she urged him on with whimpers and cat-like mewls. One of his hands left her thigh, reappearing a moment later when he slid one thick finger inside of her.

Wind howled, batting the shutters outside as he drove her higher. Clenching around the broad digit inside of her, Ororo ground her sex against Logan’s face. Climax was so close she could feel it building deep in her belly.

When she came, Logan rode out the waves of white-hot pleasure that burst inside her. Ororo cried his name, body arching off of the bed before she fell back against the sheets. Panting and shivering from the onslaught, she barely had time to catch her breath before Logan’s lips found hers again.

Catching the taste of herself on his tongue sent her senses into overload again. Cradling his hips between her thighs, she pushed into the kiss, wanting to taste more of their mingled flavors from his mouth.

Still trembling with aftershocks, she pulled back, meeting his eyes.

“’Ro,” he whispered as if trying to soothe away her fears. “Just my ‘Ro.”

She kissed him again, smoothing her legs down his thighs until she had just the right leverage with which to overturn them. He grinned when Ororo pinned him to the mattress.

“My turn.”

He growled in response, his head falling back to reveal the thick ropes of veins in his neck. She immediately latched on to his pulse-point, suckling and nipping at the sensitive flesh until he was bucking beneath her.

Taking her time, Ororo’s hands explored his body. When she’d tasted enough of his sweat-salted neck, she sat back on his thighs, letting her gaze travel over the broad expanse of his chest.

Hands confident, she traced lines of muscle, dropping wet kisses in places that begged for attention. His skin flexed as muscle clenched and released, every inch of him seeming to request her intimate attentions. She took her time, mapping him in her mind so she would be able to draw up a perfect imagine in the days and years to come.

She reached the heavy cock resting on his stomach with a prick of feminine pride. Taking the masculine organ in her hand, she stroked it firmly, his growl of pleasure sending a pleasant shiver up her spine. Bringing his cock closer, she fitted it against the white patch guarding her center, feeling the heat of him against her belly.

“I want you inside me, Logan,” she whispered huskily in the dark.

“All ya had to do was ask, darlin’,” he murmured, sitting up.

His arms wrapped around her, drawing her to his chest as he captured her lips for another searing kiss. Gently, almost achingly so, he guided her onto her back. With her head at the foot of his bed, she took him between her thighs again, lost in the kiss she could feel curl her toes.

Fingers traced the lines of her wet folds, making her writhe again. He smiled against her lips, that simple twist of his mouth that sent her heart to a thudding tattoo.

“Don’t worry, darlin’,” he grunted, adjusting himself so that the tip of his cock probed her entrance. “It’s all yours.”

Her nails dug into the thick flesh of his shoulders when he entered her. The delicious feel of being stretched to accommodate him reverberated through her entire body. Logan’s low, throaty growl was answered by a croon of his name.

“Say it again,” he grunted into her ear as his tongue traced her lobe. “Say my name again.”

“Logan,” Ororo answered, lifting her legs higher to allow him all the way inside. “Logan.”

“God, you feel good,” her lover growled. “Perfect. So hot.”

Unable to respond, she clenched her inner walls around him, eliciting another groan of her name. He planted his hands on the bed just above her shoulders, making the springs whine in protest. His body lifted slightly, shifting his weight onto powerful arms so he could thrust more easily inside her.

The increase of friction had Ororo exactly where he’d said he’d have her: panting like a wanton slut. Grinding her hips against his with every dominating thrust, she quickly gave into their primal rhythm. Lips fused and broke only to be fused again in never-ending kisses that stoked the fire he was building inside of her.

Higher and higher he drove her, until she could feel nothing but the heat in her belly, his body taking hers in exquisite ecstasy. Words were lost to unintelligible grunts and growls, some of them even torn from Ororo’s throat.

Neither of them cared for the destruction she was likely raining down on the school grounds outside, there was only this primitive dance, the search for release. Logan’s lips took hers a final time as the waves of orgasm washed over her. She screamed his name so that it echoed off the walls of his bedroom.

To her surprise, when he joined her in bliss only seconds later, her name tumbled from his lips in reverent prayer. She crooned into his mouth again as they collapsed in a spent heap of tangled arms and sweat-soaked sheets.

~**~

Ororo speaks:

That, of course, wasn’t the end of it. Thrice in the dark, Logan and I reached for one another. We raced to pleasure each time, as though we both knew what would happen in the daylight hours and feared it.

I still remember every song Johnny Cash belted out that night. To this day, I can’t hear that man’s voice without being sent into a frenzy of memory. That night, truly, was the first time I made love with Logan.

In the cold light of day, I woke before him and scrambled out of his room. He may have awoken as I rushed to dress and escape, but he never moved, never let on. I crept back into my room, pleasantly sore with the feel of his skin against mine.

He was right, of course. Neither of us were the walking away type. That night had only complicated things further. I was in a panic as dawn crept over the mansion. While Prita slept, blissfully unaware of what her mother had done, I could only think of one solution.

I had to stay away from Logan and my damnable self-restraint was failing me. I did what any woman in my situation would do.

I called in reinforcements.
7. Rogue by Gaineewop


Chapter Seven: Rogue

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
And sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight
~Goo Goo Dolls


Logan speaks:

I’ll never really understand why it happened that night. Maybe cause I’d just spent about an hour in a cold shower, thinkin’ of havin’ her naked and willing. Maybe it was just time, but even after all these years, it’s still a memory I’ve cherished.

It had the same fire and passion as that aborted attempt two years prior, but it was on a whole other level. My dreams didn’t come true, she never morphed into Jean. Instead, I was completely aware of who brought me to life that way. From that night on, Ororo starred in almost every fantasy I had. Jean was buried in my mind, thankfully. I let her go.

Doesn’t mean things were all rainbows and sunshine for ‘Ro and me after that. Hell, I’d’ve settled for just speaking to her the next day. I let her rush out at daybreak, figured she’d need some time to sort it out in her head.

But by the time I got downstairs, Chuck had a mission waiting for me. I don’t think he meant to intrude, but he did. I had to take Rogue, Colossus, and Shadowcat to Georgia. Seems an anti-mutant rally was outta hand. Wasn’t a hard mission, really.

Seein’ as I’d had a good night, I shoulda known it wouldn’t last. I never thought I was about to fly into one of the worst days of my life.


~**~

“Ah spy…somethin’ white an’ black.”

“Um…bird!”

Logan shook his head, glancing over at his co-pilot in dismay. They’d been in the air only an hour and already the girls were driving him insane. He understood the boredom and tension that came with the traveling into danger issue, but the non-stop “road trip” games were beginning to give him a headache.

“Ok, my turn,” Kitty chirped. “I spy something tall, dark and…”

“Peter!”

Snorting in a vain attempt to control his amusement, Wolverine noted a deep blush creep into his friend’s cheeks. The large Russian man cleared his throat, as though pretending he’d not heard the exchange between his friend and fiancée.

Checking the fuel levels and navigation equipment, he let the girls’ voices fade into the background. They had a knack for giggling in just a way that set his teeth on edge. Besides, he had something else to think about.

Deep blue eyes and smoky skin kept creeping around the edges of his mind. Try as he might to shove the memories aside, Ororo continued to push until he let some of his guard down.

It wasn’t like he’d been celibate during her absence. Once or twice, he’d gone out for the night and found some buxom blonde to play with for a few hours. These little romps never fulfilled his want for a companion “ something he would never admit to anyone “ but they staved off the physical hunger to be touched.

Unfortunately, he doubted that would be an option if Storm left again. The previous night had blown anything before it out of the water. Logan wasn’t a man that settled for anything less than the best. He’d warned her that neither of them would be able to just walk away. Though he wasn’t sure how true this held for her, if was definitely right on for him.

He wasn’t surprised that Jean hadn’t come out to play in his mind. She was gone and two years could do a lot to make a man believe it. He wouldn’t stop visiting her grave or missing her warm, calming presence, but he could finally think about her without shame and blinding pain. Maybe, just maybe, this is what it felt like to deal with something and move on.

The twister yesterday had to have been significant for Ororo. He’d heard her crying on the wind, picked up bits and pieces of what she said. For the first time, Logan wondered if she’d ever dealt with Jean’s death. It seemed as though she had now. That cyclone vanished and Ororo returned to the mansion with more fire in her eyes than he’d seen since Jean was taken.

He tried to not let it affect him. As he sat across from her at the dinner table, dutifully collecting Prita’s things as she tried to keep his attention, he’d fought himself to not see Ororo as she’d been before losing her friend. She was there, as she had been during his first visit to the mansion. That was a force to be reckoned with.

Love wasn’t far off, he knew himself well enough to notice the signs. His breath caught when her scent drifted his way, the stomach-swoop when she managed to smile at something…it was all a part of her mere presence chipping away at him. It could all be too late. Last night might have really done it for her, flushed him from her system. But he hoped, just a little, that maybe she still loved him.

Given time and opportunity, it wouldn’t be long before he loved her back.

“We are coming up on the landing site, Wolverine,” said Colossus in his usual deep baritone.

“Good,” he replied curtly, having been jolted from his thoughts. “Shadowcat, Rogue, get ready.”

“Yes, sir,” the girls replied in perfect unison.

After flipping several switches and ensuring the landing gear was down, Logan settled the X-Men’s prized jet on a lonely stretch of grassland just south of Atlanta. He released the protective harness holding him in and joined his small team as the hiss of hydraulics opened the rear hatch.

Each of his young teammates was dressed in the signature “X” embossed black leather, making them look like something out of a comic book. Snorting to himself again, Logan cracked his neck from side to side, the popping sound making Kitty grimace.

“I hate it when you do that,” she chided. “Sounds like someone’s snapping metal.”

“Uh,” Rogue cut in. “That’s cause he is snappin’ metal.”

“Shut up,” Wolverine ordered them both, following Colossus out of the plane.

The girls shot him reproachful glances, but remained quiet as they began the short walk to the convention center said to be the heart of this out of control rally. His sharp eyes detected nothing as they eased down the road, careful to avoid being seen by mutant or human.

When they reached a fork in the road, which according to the map would circle the convention center before meeting two miles north, he stopped the team.

“Ok, Rogue, Colossus I want you two to take the northern path. Circle around, stay in contact, and try to get a good idea of the layout,” Wolverine ordered. “Shadowkitty and I will go south, see who’s got the spoon in the stirring pot.”

The larger man nodded, leaning down to kiss his tiny fiancée on the cheek. Logan rolled his eyes toward Rogue as the couple whispered for a moment. He couldn’t blame them, even though the last X-Man death was a while ago, the idea that one might lose someone they loved stayed with a person. So, he let it go without saying anything, nodding to his friends when they parted.

“Good luck, keep the comms open, ok?”

“Be careful,” Rogue cautioned him as she turned to walk with Colossus.

“Yeah, you too,” Wolverine grunted before she was out of earshot.

With Kitty, he began to make his way on the edges of the road, listening to the various shouts of protestors and threats from guarding policemen. Though she was almost constantly silly and could giggle him into insanity, Wolverine enjoyed pairing off with Shadowcat. She took orders without question and added her opinion without sounding overly arrogant.

They reached the large pavilion several minutes later. The silence between the two X-Men was not strained, but worn and comfortable like an old pair of jeans. If he had to choose anyone to hang out with on a boring mission, it’d be a tough choice between Marie and the little kitten.

Course, her battle skills were also useful.

“Look out!”

Without even a pause, Kitty phased into the ground as Logan rolled in the opposite direction. A beat later, her teeny hands reached up from the pavement, yanking him down with her. It was an odd feeling, seeping through rock and dirt like she did. He didn’t really have time to dwell on it, though.

She phased them up top, a few yards from where the advancing mutant had stood. Wolverine sniffed the air, not finding anything in the man’s scent that was even vaguely familiar.

“What is it?” Kitty asked as the mutant searched for them.

“Dunno,” he admitted. “Smells like a laser mutation though. That’s what I saw headin’ for ya.”

“Oh,” she gave him a tight smile. “Thanks.”

Logan shrugged, holding up his hand to silence her. He put three fingers up, dropping one, then the other, and the last. As one, Shadowcat and Wolverine burst from the bushes they’d hidden in, closing in on the mutant from two sides.

Kitty reached him first, spinning her tiny body around with agility he knew for a fact was borne in training sessions with him. She successfully landed two kicks, then phased through the pavement again. The mutant continued to search for her, even as Wolverine leapt into the air, pouncing on him.

Shadowcat emerged from the pavement again, grabbing the man’s legs and hauling them down so that they remained locked into the ground.

“Now, you’ve got yourself a predicament,” Wolverine snarled, sitting on the man’s chest. “See, the kitten here can just let go of your feet and when the paramedics come, they’ll just have to amputate to get you out.”

The man’s eyes were wild with fear, but he didn’t respond.

Snikt!

Three razor sharp claws slipped through tendon and flesh from Wolverine’s hand, coming to rest at the man’s throat.

“I didn’t know you were mutants!” he screeched. “I thought you were some Navy S.E.A.L.S. or something!”

“I call bullshit,” Kitty said, her voice sharp. “What do you think, Wolverine?”

He inhaled deeply, catching the scents of fear and sweat from the terrified mutant.

“Now, I dunno, little kitten,” he said honestly. “He might be telling the truth.”

“Well,” she said with false thoughtfulness. “Maybe I should phase his balls through the ground, that outta make sure he’s telling the truth.”

Inwardly, Logan was rolling around laughing. Kitty could be ruthless when she wanted to and nothing got her proverbial fur in a bunch like a mutant taking a cheap shot at another.

“You know, maybe you’re right,” he admitted. “Knock yourself out.”

“I swear! I just want to protect mutants!”

“Yeah, yeah, a likely story,” Shadowcat yawned.

Before anyone could speak again, Peter’s voice crackled on their communicators.

“Wolverine, Shadowcat, we have a problem!”

“What is it?” Logan questioned immediately, all thought of interrogation gone.

“It’s Rogue,” Colossus, for the first time in Logan’s memory, sounded afraid. “She cannot release her!”

“What? Who? Where are you?” Wolverine shouted as Kitty released the still unknown mutant’s legs.

As though on cue, a frail young body dropped onto the hot pavement behind him. Turning, claws still extended, Logan watched in horror as his young friend screamed. Her thin arms were up to her face, clawing at her flesh as though something were hurting her on the inside.

Shadowcat and Wolverine moved as one unit, rushing to the form of their hurting friend.

Careful to avoid contact with her skin, Logan tried to pull her into his arms. Rogue’s body seized, as though she were going into shock. Colossus appeared only seconds later, his metallic body changing swiftly into human skin.

“There was a mutant flying above us. She came down as though to fight,” he explained over Rogue’s screams. “Somehow, their skin touched. Rogue could not let go. I believe the girl is dead.”

“Oh my God,” Kitty breathed, clutching her lover’s arm.

Wolverine clutched Rogue to him as her seizing subsided. Tears streaked her youthful face as she held on to him, her body suddenly going slack.

“Help…us.”

~**~

Though the Professor was not completely back to his old self, he immediately ushered Rogue’s unconscious form into the med-lab, shooing everyone away. The flight back home was barely remembered and Wolverine was thankful that Peter was such an accomplished pilot.

Between the massive youth and his bride-to-be, they’d collected the unnamed mutant’s body and rushed Rogue back home, leaving Wolverine to hold the girl to him, begging her to wake up. No one was certain what had transpired or if she would be all right, but Logan felt better by degrees at just having her in the care of the Professor and Hank.

So he stood, still in his X-Men uniform, outside of the med-lab, watching Chuck mentally probe Rogue’s mind through the thick observation glass. In his hands, the outer top of Rogue’s uniform was twisted over and over again as he fought for control.

She was his teammate, his friend…watching her scream and shake in his arms reminded him so much of those last, terrifying moments with Jean. Pacing, his eyes never leaving the pale, prone form and her caregivers, Logan berated himself.

I shouldn’t have separated the team. Shoulda stayed together. Shoulda brought more back up…

“Logan?”

At Ororo’s soft call, Logan looked up, not noticing the tears in his eyes. Her face seemed to crumble and she hurried the two steps to him. Her arms immediately surrounded him and he clung to her, heedless to Prita’s presence being squashed between them.

“How is she?” the woman asked softly.

“I dunno,” Logan admitted, not pulling away. “She kept screamin’ sayin’ “Help us”. I don’t know what happened.”

“Shh,” Ororo patted his back soothingly. “Whatever it is, the Professor and Henry will find the answers.”

“I hope so.”

Prita’s annoyed squeal broke them apart a moment later. She scowled up at her mother, then held her arms out to Logan. He reached for the little girl, still holding Rogue’s uniform. Of course, he remembered Ororo’s wishes a moment later and dropped his hands.

The look of confusion and hurt on Prita’s beautiful little face almost broke his heart.

Ororo shifted the girl on her hip, clearing her throat nervously. This was the first time he’d seen her since her escape from his room that morning. He wanted to ask if she was all right, but his mind was resolutely locked onto the white-streaked figure in the med-lab.

Petite?”

An unfamiliar voice coupled with an even more unfamiliar scent came down the hallway. He found the scent of bad cologne, burning paper, and cheap cigarettes offensive to his keen nostrils.
“In here, Gambit,” Ororo replied over her shoulder, not sparing Logan a glance.

A tall, lanky man clad in tight trousers and a worn brown duster appeared in the doorway. Logan blinked openly at the man, whose eyes were a glowing red. The gloves on his hands were cut to reveal select fingers and he could almost sense this stranger was agile, graceful, a formidable enemy.

“W’as happen, mon chou,” he said with a thick accent. “You done run out on poor Gambit.”

“I am sorry,” Ororo was apologizing. “My friend was on injured on a mission.”

Votre ami?” the man called Gambit pointed to Logan.

Wolverine glared from one to the other. There was a sense of familiarity between the two. They stood close together, too close for Logan’s comfort. Their speech patterns and terms of endearment spoke volumes of the relationship.

It was only by force that he kept his claws carefully sheathed.

Non,” Ororo said. “Dans là.”

She pointed into the med-lab, to the frail figure lying motionless on the bed. Gambit moved to the window, leaning causally on the frame. Logan reached over to tug on Storm’s elbow, glancing toward the man with confusion in his eyes.

“Oh!” she seemed to remember herself. “You two have not met.”

Non,” Gambit said from the window. “Gambit start thinkin’ Stormy don like to share her friends.”

“Quiet,” she ordered him playfully. “Remy Lebeau, this is Logan a.k.a. Wolverine. Logan, this is a dear friend of mine, Remy also called Gambit.”

Gambit turned his head, looking at Logan with those devil eyes over his shoulder. They stared at one another, as two alpha males would when one breeched another’s territory. Logan could already tell that this little bastard was going to cause him no end of trouble.

“Charmed,” Gambit said in a flat tone. “Stormy never mention you ‘fore today. Must be new.”

“I’ve been around a few years,” Logan corrected him. “Funny, she’s never mentioned you at all.”

Gambit’s eyes went back to the med-lab window, though Logan was sure the girl on the examination bed was not what the man was concentrating on.

“Not to worry, mon ami, Gambit not one you forget.”

“That right?”

Oui. Dat right.”

“Boys,” Ororo warned, shifting the baby on her hip. “Play nice.”

“Gambit always play nice, chere.”

It irritated him, for absolutely no reason, how Gambit’s voice changed when he addressed Ororo. Where he was cold to Logan, there was a warmth and genuine adoration in his tone when his words were meant for her. He wanted to gag the cocky asshole and yank Ororo into another room. He wanted to know where this man had come from and why.

“I want to see Rogue,” Ororo said clearly, handing Prita toward Gambit. “Take her for a moment, please.”

“Sure,” Remy grinned at the child, making popping noises with his mouth as he took her in his arms. “We be jus’ fine, Stormy.”

“Call me that once more,” Ororo said through clenched teeth and a sweet smile. “And I will ensure you never father children.”

“Ouch, dat hurt,” Gambit teased her in response.

The white-haired beauty turned to Logan, her back to her friend as she entered the med-lab.

“Be nice,” she muttered so lowly it had to be meant for his ears alone.

Logan growled at her.

Once she was gone, he was left alone with the French-speaking idiot holding Prita. The little girl glanced at Logan, her eyes filled with tears she was close to shedding.

“You’re hurtin’ her,” Logan snapped at LeBeau. “Don’t hold her so tight.”

“Wat da Wolverine know bout babies, eh?” Gambit spoke to Prita. “We ok, eh, petite?”

A beat later, Prita howled. The sound bounced off the walls so loudly it hurt Logan’s ears. He clamped his hands over the offended organs quickly, wincing when the baby’s decibel level climbed higher.

“Wat Gambit do to you, eh?” the man sounded worried.

Prita was reaching for Logan, but he remembered Ororo didn’t want him spending time with the child. Swallowing hard, he shook his head, which made her cry louder.

“Sorry, runt,” he grunted through the lump in his throat. “Your mom don’t want me holdin’ ya.”

He turned on his heel, ears still ringing and left the hallway. Prita’s cries grew more desperate as the doors to the elevator hissed closed behind him. Once he was alone, he pressed his hands to the wall and fought the urge to slam his head through it.

She didn’t want him near Prita, which was bad enough, considering he adored that kid. Worse was that she felt comfortable leaving Prita with that idiot. Why was he here?

Then it hit him. Ororo must have called on this “friend” to come to her rescue. For what? To save her from him? Did she really want to distance herself from Logan that she called in a chaperone to keep her honest?

Snarling to himself, worry still creeping into his thoughts over Rogue’s unchanged condition, Logan stepped out of the elevator a moment later and headed for his room. If distance was what she wanted, he’d give it to her.

~**~


Several hours after the aborted mission in Georgia, the Professor, Henry, and Marie emerged from the med-lab. Rogue’s self-inflicted cuts had been doctored, fresh white bandages covering her weary face. She moved cautiously, her actions jerky as though she was no longer comfortable in her own skin.

For some reason, she did not touch anyone or anything when the trio met the rest of the X-Men in the War Room. Logan took a seat beside her, careful to ignore Gambit’s intrusion. He’d planned on taking Scott aside at some point, to pry information out of his friend. Something about this accented man sent his predatory instincts into a massive overdrive.

“Thank you all for coming,” Charles said as Henry helped Marie to her seat. “Gambit, a pleasure as always.”

Most of the X-Men turned to greet him, some of them even in a friendly manner that made Logan wonder if he’d been on the team in the past. Glancing at the mutant beside Storm, he rolled his eyes at the laid back manner in which he reclined in his chair. Something that looked like a playing card flicked through obviously nimble fingers. It was like something out of a bad movie.

“I am sure you are all concerned about Marie,” Chuck said, indicating to the young woman. “I can safely say that she will recover, but the incident in Georgia is not likely to leave her any time soon.”

“What happened?” Logan demanded, looking over to his friend.

“She came outta nowhere,” Marie said quietly. “We were fightin’ an’ somehow she got hold of mah face. I started…” She gestured weakly. “Ya know…but Ah couldn’t break the connection.”

“For a reason still unknown to us, Rogue and the other young mutant became irrevocably linked.”

“Ah killed her,” Rogue said miserably.

“Hey,” Logan shifted in his seat, drawing her gingerly into his arms. “It was an accident.”

“Her name was Carol Danvers a.k.a. Miss Marvel,” Henry tapped at the console imbedded on the table, bringing up a glowing holographic dossier. “She was a mutant, roughly Storm’s age.”

“Why was she in Georgia?” Ororo asked quietly.

“She and a small group of mutant activists were attempting to protect the mutants at the rally. She, apparently, thought Rogue and Colossus were enemies,” Hank offered in his unflappable calm.

“That’s what the other one said, the guy that attacked Wolverine and me,” Kitty chimed in.

“As for Rogue’s condition,” Chuck smiled in that soft, fatherly manner reserved for the most personal of moments with his X-Men. “She will have Carol Danvers with her for the rest of her life. The dual personality is now dormant, but…”

“Ah have new powers,” Rogue’s voice was soft, weary. “Powers Ah don’t know how tah control.”

“But if you have the memories of Miss Danvers…” Scott pointed out, only to be cut off.

“When I suppressed the Danvers personality, I suppressed all of her memories,” the Professor’s voice was weak, filled with sadness. “Our Rogue will have to learn to use these abilities.”

“What are they?” Logan asked, curious. Rogue snuggled closer, making him rub her back soothingly.

As far as he was concerned, just the fact that she was alive was enough for him.

“Miss Danvers possessed superhuman strength and the ability to fly.”

“Fly?” Storm said, sitting up and drawing Rogue’s attention. “You can fly?”

“Yeah,” the girl replied quietly. “Or Ah’m s’posed to.”

“I can teach you how, my dear,” Ororo grinned. “Is it pure will or like myself?”

“Oh no,” Hank nudged Ororo. “She doesn’t need telekinesis or wind to fly. Once she learns, it will be under her control.”

“Amazing,” Ororo winked at her. “We will begin tomorrow, once you have rested. Flight is a gift indeed.”

“As for strength,” Colossus said in his usual soft manner. “I will teach you how to control it. Though frightening, superstrength is not so bad of a mutation.”

Logan, however, could feel Rogue stiffen the more they tried to help. She stood suddenly, shaking her head while tears splashed down her cheeks.

“Tha’s nice an’ all, but Ah killed a woman!” She cried, shaking off Logan’s attempt to soothe her. “Ah killed a woman an’ got powers from it an’ no one seems tah give a damn!”

Rogue rushed from the room, stopping only to open the door. When it pulled completely from the hinges and tore the doorframe off, most of the X-Men leapt to their feet. Mind still whirling, Logan looked to Chuck.

“I cannot erase everything, Logan,” he said as though reading his mind. “She will have to come to terms with it all in time.”

“Let’s hope she doesn’t hurt herself or someone else before she learns to use her powers,” Cyclops frowned. “Poor kid.”

“She’ll get through it,” Logan said stubbornly, staring after her.

“’ow ya know dat, mon ami?” Gambit asked from his place beside Storm.

Logan turned to him slowly, looking at every other mutant gathered around the table. Snikt! His claws sliced through the back of his hand. Logan held them up for inspection by the speechless newcomer.

“Those of us that have dangerous powers know some of what she’s goin’ though,” he growled. “She’ll get through it. We all did. And she’s got us to help her.”

“That’s what makes us the X-Men,” Logan’s ears twitched at the tone of Cyclops’ voice. “We help each other.”

He was surprised when the team’s leader stood, jerking his head toward Logan and the door.

“Lets go talk to her.”

“Right behind ya.”
8. First Steps by Gaineewop


Chapter Eight: First Steps

Say goodnight
Don't be afraid
Calling me, calling me
As you fade to black
~Evanescence


“Are you out of your mind again?”

Ororo ignored Scott as she moved out of her bedroom and down the hall. He gave chase almost instantly, easily avoiding a head on collision with Peter. She didn’t want to think about the consequences of her actions. With Remy around, she was a lot less likely to completely lose her senses. If she kept her wits, maybe she’d be able to shake off the effects of Logan’s touch.

“I mean, come on, Storm,” he continued as they quickly descended the stairs leading to the main hall. “I know things are bad between you and Wolverine, but this is just insanity.”

“Oh?” she tossed coldly over her shoulder. “And why is that?”

“You know damn well why,” Scott nearly snarled. He grabbed her elbow, bringing her into an empty classroom and slamming the door behind them. “With all that’s going on, you choose now to expose Logan to Gambit?”

Annoyed with his second-guessing and the fact that she hated the topic of Logan now, she crossed her arms beneath her breasts, meeting her friend’s stare. He had a point. She knew, better than anyone, that both Gambit and Wolverine were possessive. Though Logan had no claim on her, the close relationship she shared with Remy was likely to start trouble.

She’d wanted to tell Logan about the arrival of her friend beforehand, but he’d been shuffled off to a mission just before she left for the airport. Remy was here now, mildly clueless as to her true reasons for bringing him to New York, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. She would take any measures she felt necessary to protect her heart. Even from herself.

“I wanted to see my friend again, Scott,” she said at last. “Why do you believe everything I do is tied to Logan in some way?”

“One: I know you. Two: I know him. Three: I know Gambit,” he rattled off quickly. “And four: You only call on Remy when you need a buffer zone or a thief. I’m guessing you’re not about to rob the mansion blind, so let’s go with the former.”

“I need him right now, Scott,” was the only reply her stubborn lips would part with.

“Why?” Scott’s ruby-red gaze bored into her even through the thick quartz of his glasses. “What the hell is going on here?”

“It is none of your concern,” she shot back quickly. “Suffice it to say I find myself in need of a friend and Jean is currently unavailable.”

Much to her surprise, Scott did not flinch at the mention of his departed love. Instead, he crossed his arms in a pose mirroring hers and scowled.

“Stop playing games with Wolverine, Ororo,” his voice was hard, unlike him. “I mean it.”

Flabbergasted for a moment, Ororo clamped her mouth closed to keep from sputtering in indignation. It hurt, more than she thought it would, that Scott seemed fairly certain everything gone wrong was her fault.

“Well, since you are keen on taking his side…”

“You’re damn right I’m taking his side,” her friend replied coolly. “He was just starting to settle down. You come home and WHAM! He’s all torn up again. I’m sick of it.”

“Am I not also your friend?”

“Honestly? I don’t know who the hell you are right now.”

With that, Scott turned on his heel and slammed out of the classroom. Left alone, shocked to the core, Ororo lowered her denim-clad backside into one of the student chairs, shaking her head in dismay. It was obvious that Logan had not filled Scott in on everything that had transpired. He was standing resolutely in Logan’s corner.

That was why she needed Remy. He was the one person still living that took her side in everything. He would keep her from straying, help her through the pain. She wanted to stop loving the Wolverine and Gambit was the perfect man for the job.

Though she and Gambit had been friends many years, she still thought of him as her best friend. They often joked, when asked if they’d been lovers, that such action was impossible. Remy once said that it would be too close to kissing his sister. She was inclined to agree.

But whenever she needed him, Remy was ready and willing to do anything for her. If she needed a three-hour phone call in the middle of the night, he was happy to oblige. It was likely not a smart move, putting him in the same house with a man she was trying to avoid, but at the time, it was the only solution she could think of.

As the warm, merry sunlight beamed in through the enormous classroom windows, Ororo sat back in the chair. It was going to be a difficult few weeks at the school. Preparations for the new term had already begun, Rogue’s new powers would have to be tamed, and her personal life was an utter disaster.

She tried to burn away the image of Logan from her mind, but he kept slipping into her thoughts without permission. Last night seemed too much to be reality and too real to be shrugged off as a dream. Whenever her thoughts wandered, memories would overcome her.

Ororo wanted him, even against her will. She had no business being in love with him after so much had happened. She’d told him that just one more night in his arms would be the end of it. How could she have known how different everything would look in the light of day?

Most would think that she was afraid of him. Many would only assume that Logan’s feral nature and tendency to run off without warning made her shy from him. Now, however, she realized how untrue that statement was. The truth of the matter was that in the cold light of day, when she’d looked upon Logan’s sleeping face, she could easily lose herself.

All thought, all reason seemed optional when Logan was near. Though most women wanted that kind of love, Ororo rather preferred keeping both of her feet planted firmly on the ground.

It was just too easy with Logan.

“Hey.”

Speak of the Devil and in he walks, she thought with a mental sigh.

“Hello, Wolverine.”

She turned as he entered the classroom, facing him with as much of her usual confident calm as she could muster. It wasn’t easy to be aloof in his presence, especially when she only wanted to smile and beckon him closer for a stolen kiss.

“Huh,” he grunted as he closed the door. “Thought we got past the codename stage when you decided to spend half the night with your legs around my waist.”

Trying to ignore the not-so-subtle pounding in her blood at that mental image, she cleared her throat.

“I thought, given the actions of last night, that it would be best to observe a certain level of decorum in front of the others.”

He turned his head to the left and then right before meeting her gaze with those depthless eyes.

“There’s no one here, ‘Ro.”

“Still…”

“Still nothin’,” he cut her off. “I told myself I’d let you put the distance between us if you wanted and I will.”

Startled, she swallowed thickly, her heart easily betraying her stubborn mind. She wanted him to fight her on this… No! She did not. Apart was best for everyone involved.

“Thank you,” she managed after a moment.

“I want to hear it from you first,” he growled, taking a step closer to her. “I want you to look me dead in the eye and say you don’t love me. Look at me, and say last night scratched your itch just right.”

“Excuse me?”

Her heart thudded against her breast at his words, the low growl of his voice. While her mind shouted at her to keep her spine up, to just walk past him, she remained in place, unable to comply. He came closer and closer still, until she could feel the heat of his body. Nerves all over her neglected flesh began begging in unison for that rough, dizzying touch, even as she tried to fight it.

“You look at me an’ say you want nothing from me and I’ll go back to bein’ Wolverine for you,” he replied. “Until you do, I’ve got a chance.”

“Why do you even want a chance?” she questioned, not meeting his eyes.

“Cause last night only made me want you more,” he all but purred, shifting so their bodies grazed one another. “And I definitely want to explore that.”

Ororo’s spine straightened, just slightly, and she told herself it was not to feel more of him against her through layers of clothing.

“I don’t,” she sighed. “It is best for all of us if we just admit it will never work and move on.”

“You didn’t answer my question, darlin’.” He reached out, rubbing his thumb over the swell of her cheek.

“I cannot think as you do,” Ororo tried.

“An’ how’s that?”

“With my loins,” she smiled faintly at his chuckle. “I have a daughter to think about.”

“I wish she was mine,” Logan whispered suddenly.

Too shocked to respond, she let him inch closer, until he was speaking against her lips.

“How’s that for some truth?” His voice was so low, she could barely hear him. “I’ve wished she was mine since the first time I saw her. You almost killed me, tellin’ me to stay away from her.”

“Logan…”

“Just give me a chance, ‘Ro,” he continued. “All I want is a chance to prove I deserve you.”

Tears welled up in her eyes and her mind clicked back into place. As her heart and body’s needs were shoved aside, she managed to pull away. Taking a few steps back so they no longer touched, she shook her head at him.

“No,” Ororo said clearly, though her heart screamed. “This is a mistake, Logan.”

“You can’t stand there and tell me last night was just physical,” he growled. “It wasn’t for me and I know it wasn’t for you.”

“Even if that were true, this is still a mistake.”

Logan took a step toward her. “Do you love me?”

Unable to lie, no matter how she wanted to, Ororo nodded once. “Yes.”

“Then stop thinkin’ for five fuckin’ minutes, let your heart talk for you.”

“I can’t. I’m sorry.”

She turned her back on him, crossing the room to the other door leading into the south wing of the mansion. Once she was certain he had not followed her, Ororo leaned against the wall in the empty corridor, sliding down the painted surface until her backside hit the floor. Sadness tugging at her over-taxed heart, she drew her knees up to her chest, wrapping shaking arms around them.

It’s for the best. It’s for the best.

~**~


“Its too horrible tah think about. Ah can’t get her face outta mah head.”

“Dat happen sometime, chere. Best you can do is live wit it.”

“Have ya ever killed someone?”

“Gambit done lots a things he ain’t proud of, some tings that had ta be done.”

“Ah didn’t mean tah hurt her.”

“Dey all know dat, chere, dey jus’ tryin’ ta help Rogue through it, is all. Dey care bout de girl, dey jus’ care bout you more.”

Ororo leaned against the open window, listening as an unlikely pair talked on the roof beside her bedroom. She’d not meant to eavesdrop, but hearing the accented voices speaking in low tones about Rogue’s recent troubles had drawn her curiosity.

Many at the mansion believed her beloved Cajun nothing more than a fast, sweet-talking scoundrel, but she knew differently. Beneath his brash behavior and wooing speak, he had a heart of gold. Rogue’s guilt and uncontrolled powers were something he would take to heart.

“Just doesn’t seem right,” Rogue was saying. “Her life meant as much as mine.”

“Dat true,” Remy replied a moment later. “But ‘ow many more gonna get ‘urt if ya don’t control what’s inside you?”

“Well, if yah wanna use wisdom on me, Ah can’t argue.”

Ororo heard them share a quiet laugh, smiling as the gentle sound was carried on the sweet summer breeze. Rogue had withdrawn from everyone over the last day or so, even after a long talk with Scott and Logan.

Remy had obviously decided to give it a shot, squirreling her away onto the roof where no one would bother them. He knew all about doing something by design or accident that caused overwhelming guilt. They were closer in age, so perhaps he would have an easier time getting through to her than the others.

“Remy like dis,” he was saying, confusing the woman listening in.

“That? Funny story behind it, actually,” Rogue replied cheerfully. “Well, wasn’t funny at the time.”

“So, you not born wit dis here skunk stripe?”

“Skunk?!”

The twosome erupted into laughter, the bounces and knocks on the rooftop telling Ororo they were likely wrestling or otherwise engaged in some innocent diversion. She would approach Rogue in the morning about flight training. Perhaps some good would come from the tragedy after all.

Her thoughts turned from the couple on the roof as her eyes swept over the clear May sky. It was warm so early in the summer, but a welcome change from chilled evenings. The moon was ripe, showering the darkened grounds below her with silvery light. She would have taken to the air, if she thought the couple on the roof wouldn’t have noticed.

Prita’s adjoining bedroom was finally finished. Kitty and Peter worked tirelessly for hours readying the smaller room for the girl when Storm announced that her reinstatement to the X-Men would now be permanent. It was not a hard choice. Somehow, she knew that her daughter would benefit more from the busy environment provided by the school.

And it kept Storm at home, where she truly wanted to be.

Eventually, the sting in her heart would fade. She and Logan would return to the working relationship that would suit everyone properly. Someday they might look back on this period and laugh, as Rogue could now regarding the incident that brought her to the X-Men.

Ororo did not startle when a lithe, cat-like form landed on the floor behind her, having jumped through the skylight. She’d heard the light, almost imperceptible footsteps a beat before her darling friend swung his body into the room.

“How is she?” Ororo asked, not turning from the window.

“Thinkin’,” Remy replied, shrugging out of his duster. “Remy an’ Marie have a nice long talk. She doin’ better, me tink.”

“Good,” she turned to him, smiling. “I heard you.”

“Dat not nice, Stormy, listenin’ in on a private talk. Did Remy teach you notin’?”

“Oh, you taught me plenty,” Ororo chuckled softly, perching on the open window’s sill.

“Don’t get caught,” the two friends said in unison.

Remy folded his duster over the edge of the bed, taking a careful seat beside it. They faced one another, saying nothing in companionable silence for a few moments with only the sound of Prita’s soft snores to fill the empty air.

“Ya know, petite, Gambit not stupid.”

Confused, Ororo frowned, settling her hands beside her hips to grip the sill and lean closer.

“Again?”

“Mean, you call Remy for a reason, mon chou. Wanna tell me now?”

She turned her head, resting her chin on her shoulder. The urge to just let it drop was almost overwhelming, but Remy deserved the truth. Slowly, taking calming, even breaths, Ororo spilled the entire story to her friend.

He listened with patience not many knew him capable of. There were no snide comments or sighs of disappointment. When her long, sad tale was finished, he ran a hand through the short brown locks atop his head.

“Dat’s a relief.”

Frowning again, she raised a brow.

“Remy happy his Stormy realize she human is all.”

“Quiet.”

“Comere, petite,” he ordered in a soft tone.

She crossed the room instantly, watching as he settled in a semi-upright position against the headboard. Without a thought, she slid onto the bed beside him after shedding her bathrobe. He snuggled her into the crook of his arm, her cheek resting about the soothing beat of his heart.

“Seem ta me, petite,” he whispered in the dark. “You done made a mess a tings.”

“That would be the general consensus,” she admitted with a soft sigh.

“Thinkin’ too much again, me tink.”

“That is a very real possibility.”

“So, why not tink wit your ‘eart?”

“My heart got me into this mess.”

“Dat true, but my petite been lonely too long,” he gave her shoulders a gentle squeeze.

“Perhaps,” she nodded against his chest. “But that will not be cured with Logan.”

“Now, Gambit not so sure on dat score,” Remy scratched his chin with his free hand.

When he failed to continue, Ororo reached up to tug on his nose affectionately.

“What do you mean by that?”

Petite, Remy ‘ere to ‘elp you, and he tink that right now, de best way to do dat is to keep ‘is mouth shut.”

“Typical,” she sighed, hating that he would not be telling her how to fix the situation.

“Get some sleep, ma cherie,” Remy’s singsong whisper instantly made her eyelids heavy. “Remy stayin’ ‘ere to kill any bad tings comin’ to bother his Stormy.”

Before he finished speaking, Ororo fell into a deep sleep for the first time in many months.

~**~

The morning after Rogue’s injuries and Remy’s arrival brought a howling storm. Ororo had felt it in her veins during the quiet hours before dawn. The subtle shift, as a tide pulled by the moon’s cycle, echoed in her blood.

While the wind banged the shutters and fat raindrops soaked the grounds, Ororo made her way downstairs with Prita in her arms. The squirming girl, now nearly a year old, tugged on a lock of her mother’s hair, repeating a garbled phrase to voice her displeasure.

It was still and silent through the mansion, many taking the less-than-sunny weather as a cue to sleep in a few hours longer. Unable to keep herself in bed as the elements whistled around her in song, Ororo entered the kitchen without spotting another living soul.

Remy was still asleep on her bed, dressed in his black trousers and boots, though he’d removed his usual vest and shirt to lounge in his white tee. It was remarkable, how easy she slept with him close by. There was no pressure on either of them, leading to deep slumber that left them refreshed come morning.

Prita squealed with laughter, making Ororo turn from her inward thoughts. Much to her dismay, her heart backflipped in her chest when she noted Logan smiling at the excited child in her arms.

“Mornin’,” he greeted in that curious tone most use in the early morning.

“Good morning,” she replied, managing to keep her voice level.

“Coffee’s fresh.”

“Thank you.”

She put Prita on the floor of the kitchen, ensuring the swinging door was closed to corral the adventurous child inside as her mother set about making breakfast. Ororo broke several eggs into a pan, then set thick slices of bacon to cook in another. It was only considerate that she cook for Logan as well.

Neither of them spoke, obviously content to let Prita’s babbling fill the air. Ororo kept one eye on the meal sizzling on the stove and another on her daughter. She’d already located the Tupperware containers in a drawer. Each plastic container was meticulously removed from the drawer, set up in line with the others, and then knocked down to peals of childish laughter.

Ororo tried to not notice the way Logan’s eyes strayed to the child as she played, that simple smile gracing his perfect lips.

With a mental slap, she focused on cooking, spooning helpings of scrambled eggs and bacon onto plates while bread crisped in the toaster.

“Uh, ‘Ro?”

Surprised that he’d used his nickname for her, she turned, giving him a puzzled look over the spotless marble island in the center of the kitchen. Logan’s eyes were on the floor, his mouth hanging open in awe.

Confused, she leaned over the island, searching for the cause of his sudden astonishment. It took her a moment to realize that Prita was no longer playing with the Tupperware. She stepped over the pile easily, watching out of the corner of her eye as Logan slid out of his chair to kneel on the floor.

“That’s it, girl, come to Logan. Come on.”

The spoon in Ororo’s hand dropped to the floor with a muted clatter as her hands flew up to cover her mouth. Tears welled in her eyes when she peered around the island, finding her little daughter standing upright.

Fat, wobbly legs were unsteady as she took an unassisted step toward Logan. The gruff man held his arms out, an encouraging smile on his handsome face. It might have been a trick of the light, but Ororo thought she caught a hint of proud tears in his eyes.

She stood, unable to move, as Prita’s little feet took two more steps. Ororo stretched one hand, as though to reach for her daughter. Fear of breaking the tender moment stayed her, and she watched with joy in her heart as Prita’s final steps brought her into Logan’s awaiting arms.

“Oh my God!”

Logan’s excited shout snapped Ororo out of her reverie. She rushed across the room, laughing merrily as the normally feral man swung her daughter around in undisguised glee.

“Did ya see that?” Logan questioned her, as though she might have missed a single moment of the remarkable incident. “She walked! She just stood up an’ walked right to me!”

“I cannot believe it!” Ororo reached up to kiss Prita nosily on the cheek. “First steps at only eleven months!”

“That was amazing,” he continued over Prita’s excited squeals. “I’ve never seen anyone’s first steps like that. Wow. That’s a rush.”

Ororo could not stop laughing. The skies, which only moment before had thrashed the grounds with rain and wind, cleared to reveal a bright sun and blue heaven. Her heart felt so full she was sure it would burst at any moment.

For some reason, she was glad Logan had witnessed the occasion with her. All of Prita’s other firsts “ sitting up, teeth, different foods “ had been enjoyed alone. Now, however, there was another that would forever carry the memory of her daughter’s first steps.

“She walked right to me,” Logan was saying, bouncing the baby on his hip like he’d done it all his life. “She just looked at me and got this look on her face. Like “I’m walkin’ right over there”. And she did it!”

“Yes, she does have a stubborn streak. It is almost a shock that it took her this long,” Ororo teased, grinning up at them.

“Gets that from her mom, I’m sure,” Logan returned the grin. “Damn, I wish we’d had a camera.”

“As do I,” she admitted as Logan placed Prita on the floor again. “Come on, darling girl, come to mother.”

She kneeled, as Logan had, stretching her arms out. Logan had taken a few steps back, leaving Prita just enough room for a repeat performance. As if on cue, she toddled toward her mother, faltering only slightly when her tiny hand released her hero’s.

Ororo swept her child into her arms, raining sloppy kisses on her cheeks to elicit excited squeals from the little one.

Almost immediately, though, Prita was struggling to be set free again. Ororo put her on the floor, not surprised when she awkwardly stepped back to Logan.

“I see she already rebels against her mother’s wishes,” Ororo said much more somberly.

Logan fell quiet, holding Prita close to his chest and rubbing her back with one massive hand.

“I should…” he cleared his throat. “Get out to the garage. Don’t want her gettin’ any ideas.”

Though she knew it was wrong, her heart clenched at the sorrow barely detectable in Logan’s voice. She swallowed over the lump of emotion in her throat and shook her head softly.

“No,” Ororo inhaled deeply, gathering courage. “Obviously, Prita adores you and it is not right for me to stand in the way of that relationship. Have breakfast with us and then, if you are not busy, would you care for her while I give Rogue a flying lesson?”

For a moment, their eyes locked across the precious few feet between them. She saw something flash in Logan’s dark eyes, though what she was unsure she could name. He kissed Prita’s forehead, then slid her into the highchair resting at the table.

“Yeah,” he nodded a moment later. “I think I can handle that.”

~**~

Ororo speaks:

I would love to say that it was my first mistake, allowing Logan and Prita to spend time together again, but it would be a lie. By this point, I had made so many mistakes it was impossible to keep track of them all.

The truth of it is, seeing Logan with Prita was too heart warming to ignore. They were obviously crazy about one another. We had breakfast in relative quiet, breaking the silence only when Remy and Marie joined us. We regaled them with tales of Prita’s first steps, then commanded another performance.

Though I had brought Remy to me in a panic, it was soon apparent to me that my friend had plans of his own. All through that morning, he seldom left Rogue’s side. I should have known something was in the wind, but I was too caught up with my own problems to sniff them out.

I never expected anything to come of that chaste relationship. Of course, I had spent so much time involved in my problems with Logan and the raising of my daughter that I saw very little.

That morning, Prita learned to walk, Logan began to compromise, and I taught Rogue how to fly.
9. Best Laid Plans by Gaineewop


Chapter Nine: Best Laid Plans

My life had changed because of you
And I need you right here with me
There's no substitute for you
As far as I can see
You're the one for me
~Usher




Though the forecast had told of heavy rains throughout New York, the sky was cheerful and clear when Logan and Prita made their way outside. Her chubby legs supported her, but her hands grasped his to balance as she walked.

He probably looked ridiculous, hunched over so he could reach Prita’s tiny hands, and yet Logan found himself oddly uncaring. She toddled out of the backdoor, which was held open by a duster-clad Cajun. Without so much as a nod to the other man, the slow duo made their way to the open paddock just beyond the pool.

Ororo and Marie stood just a few feet apart, talking in low tones. As Logan and Prita, trailed by Gambit, approached, both women turned to smile at them.

“She’s all cleaned up, Mom,” Logan dutifully reported.

“As are you,” Ororo replied, indicating to his now-sopping wet shirt.

“Yeah,” he nodded, looking up to smile at her. “Coulda warned me to get my slicker.”

“Now,” she retorted innocently. “Where is the fun in that?”

“Ha-Ha.” His sarcastic laugh brought giggles to Marie and a low chuckle from the Cajun now straddling the picnic table’s bench.

“De joy of childrens, mon ami.”

“Shut up, swamp rat.”

“Boys…”

They both closed their mouths at Ororo’s warning. Logan marched Prita toward the table, releasing her hands so she could move much more quickly on the grass. He’d been sure to outfit her in already-stained overalls. At least ‘Ro wouldn’t verbally ream him for ruining a pretty pink dress.

Ororo and Marie turned back to their “lesson”. Storm seemed to be outlining the importance of control. Marie tried, several times, to hoist herself into the air with no success. Just as Gambit moved forward to help, Ororo shook her head.

“You have not found the trigger,” she explained with the patience of a long-time educator. “Your original mutation required none.”

“Great,” Rogue grumbled. “How do Ah figure it out?”

“Like so.”

With a swish of her cocoa colored hands, Ororo summoned a warm wind. Logan squinted to watch as Storm took to the air, grinning when a surprised Marie was lifted with her.

“Dis gonna be good,” Gambit said, crossing his arms.

“What?”

“Stormy gonna show Marie ‘ow ta fly. De hard way.”

“Huh.”

He grunted, sweeping his eyes over the immediate area to locate Prita. When he saw her pulling at tuffs of grass, giggling to herself, he looked back to the sky. Ororo had taken Rogue up at least several yards. It was not too high, but a fall might hurt them both.

As if she’d heard him, Ororo moved her hands again. Rogue began to drop like a lead balloon, screaming curses into the empty air. Logan moved to catch her, but Gambit stayed him.

“Jus’ watch. Trust ‘Roro.”

Confident that Ororo would never hurt Rogue, he sat back down, poised to leap into action. A moment later, Rogue’s free fall halted and she vaulted back into the air.

“What are ya thinkin’? I coulda died!”

She was shouting at Ororo, high in clear blue sky. Logan began to chuckle as the poor girl had no idea that she was flying on her own.

“I am not holding you,” Ororo’s honeyed tones reached his sensitive ears, her words filled with laughter.

Rogue began squealing, reaching for her teacher in fear. Ororo quickly regained control over the winds, lowering them both to the ground with feather-soft precision.

“How did Ah do that?” Rogue was saying.

“Fear,” Ororo replied promptly. “Your instinct for self-preservation activated the mutation. With a bit more practice, you will be able to take off and land on your own.”

“Go on,” Gambit chimed in. “Let Stormy drop ya a few more times.”

For nearly three hours, Ororo dropped and captured Rogue in mid air. The actions, at first, had given Logan several startles, but soon he realized that Ororo was never too late to catch their friend. He calmed down, drinking in the warm morning breeze as he watched the show above.

Prita was preoccupied by the joys of an outdoor garden. Amid heady scents of blooming lilac and cheery blossoms, she found earthworms and insects, inspecting each of them carefully. She never got too far from the picnic table, often bringing her specimens over to Logan for his approval.

It was like something out of one of those novels Kitty was always reading. The warm feel of family, taking in a beautiful day just content to be together. Ororo’s laughter danced on the wind, her wind-mussed appearance calling to something inside Logan he couldn’t place.

He struck up a conversation with Gambit, much to his surprise. They talked of his placement on the X-Men some years ago, just after meeting Storm in New Orleans. The story of that historic moment tumbled from the younger man’s heavy accent.

Storm had been on assignment in Louisiana, searching for a mutant just coming into his powers. An attack and subsequent head injury left her alone and without her memory. Gambit had come across the African beauty on the streets of New Orleans and taken her under his wing.

For a year, the two were inseparable. The X-Men tried in vain to locate her, the protection provided by the famed Thieves Guild shielding her from their benevolent search. Slowly, Ororo began piecing together fragments of her past, leading Remy on a strange journey to New York.

When the troublesome two reached Westchester, they quickly located the school. At the first sight of Jean, Ororo’s memory clicked back into place. Gambit, loathed to leave his best friend, stayed on with the mutant group for some time, learning to control his mutation while Cyclops taught him how to fight.

Two years later, stricken with homesickness, Remy returned to New Orleans. Ororo, tied to her home in New York, remained behind. The separation was difficult for both, but they remained in close contact. Gambit often returned to help the X-Men with intricate missions that required the stealth of a thief.

Logan, filled with this new information, saw beneath Ororo’s icy exterior in a new light. He knew her to be passionate and loyal, but the knowledge that she was an accomplished thief with a penchant for adventure was definitely new to him. He tried to imagine her alongside Remy as they pilfered from the rich. It seemed unreal, but the more Gambit told him, the more he understood her.

By the end of Rogue’s first flying lesson, Logan’s dislike of the Cajun scoundrel lessened. He did not entirely like the man, nevertheless it was a start. Rogue’s precision landing on the table was greeted with mad applause from both men. Even little Prita seemed proud of her young friend.

“What Stormy doin’?”

Rogue plopped onto the bench beside Gambit, sweating as though she’d run four miles. There was a peaceful look to her face, as though she found great joy in flight. When Remy questioned her, she shook her head, a wistful smile on her face.

“Flyin’,” Rogue replied sweetly. “Ah think she just can’t get enough.”

Three sets of eyes swung to the woman floating aloft. Logan felt a sharp stab of anticipatory lust in his stomach at the sight of her. Long white hair flowed behind her like a banner, caught up in the winds she commanded. Her lithe form was filled with limitless grace as she lifted her face to the heavens. She was so beautiful, so desirable that he wanted to kick himself in the ass for missing it so long.

He could only imagine the freedom she felt in that moment.

“Gambit!”

At her call, Gambit swung his legs from the bench and stood on the table. He backed up to the far edge, then took off at a dead run. Confused, Logan sat back to avoid tripping him, glancing at Rogue curiously.

The instant Gambit’s feet should have taken him to the ground he pushed off from the table, saved from an embarrassing fall by a gentle breeze. Ororo was smiling as she pulled her friend into the air with her, the pair of them laughing when Gambit sat back as though on a lounge chair, floating toward her.

“Must be nice,” Rogue said with an ache in her Southern drawl. “Knowin’ someone so well.”

“Trustin’ ‘em to catch you like that,” he agreed.

They watched as Remy stood, the air thick enough to hold him. The Cajun danced toward Ororo, making her laugh. She took his hands and together, they moved to music only they could hear, framed by the cheerful sun on a backdrop of true blue.

Yeah, he thought to himself. Must be nice.

~**~

Logan sat outside on the porch, a cigar clenched between his teeth and his feet propped up on the railing. It was a clear night, which Ororo swore up and down was not her doing. He could hear soft laughter from the direction of the lake, where Kitty and Peter had disappeared to some time before. He didn’t want to know what they were doing, but h doubted it was suitable for adults under the age of twenty.

The day had wound down, leaving him alone with his thoughts for company. Traitorous Rogue had borrowed Ororo’s car, taking Jubilee, Iceman, and Gambit with her for a night on the town. He trusted her to bring them home all home and only at Ororo’s insistence did he trust Gambit to not get them all arrested.

She was right, Rogue needed some time out. Still, Logan wouldn’t have minded her soothing company as the chilly night descended upon him. It wasn’t like him to desire company so much, and he couldn’t blame his young friend for wanting to get out. He’d planned on visiting Harry’s, but for some reason the idea no longer appealed to him.

Throughout the day, he’d thought about Storm. First, their encounter in the classroom, which made him only more determined to win her affections. She may not have wanted to love him, but she did. Logan would grab hold of that with both hands if he had to.

Then, he thought about Prita’s first steps. It was such an amazing thing, watching someone take the very first steps in their life. No matter what she did or who she became, Logan would always have the memory of her first, wobbly steps.

She’d come to him. Something about that gestured seemed symbolic in a mysterious way. Prita could have moved to her mother, but instead she mustered all of her toddler’s determination and marched toward the man willing to become her father.

He hadn’t planned on wanting to be Prita’s dad. In fact, it probably wasn’t healthy to imagine being the man she called “Dad” or hoping her first word would be a form of that simple phrase directed at him. Ororo may have repealed her decision to drive a wedge between Wolverine and Prita, but that didn’t make him her father.

Something about those two dark women made the black spots on his soul wither every day. They were filled with light and warm and a sense of home. All the things he had been denied since the years before, when Stryker and his taskforce stole his life.

Logan wasn’t an idiot. He knew he’d screwed up and Ororo wanted very, very little to do with him now. That didn’t mean he wasn’t going to fight for her. Yesterday, in the jet, he’d told himself that he was likely falling for her.

Watching as she danced with Gambit on the air only made that process seem more tangible. She was wonderful in ways he’d rarely seen in human form. He wanted her to love him. Jean was no longer a factor. He’d made love with Ororo and the woman long deceased made no appearance in that shared bed.

Jean was out of his system, a system that suddenly begged for an infusion of Ororo.

“Solving the world’s problems?”

Wolverine smirked around his cigar, turning his head to look at Cyclops.

“Sure. Make me the king of the world and everything will be just peachy.”

The man laughed, taking a seat in the chair beside Logan after a gesture of silent question. Logan took the cold beer from his friend, handing him a cigar. It was rare that they both found the time to just hang out on the porch together.

That, of course, was how this unholy friendship started. After the women left them, Scott had come onto the porch to find Logan alone and brooding. He’d returned night after silent night until Logan struck up a conversation. Months were spent on this porch, in these chairs. Now, with Renee in Cyclops’ life and Logan’s own problems, they hadn’t found time to just sit outside and be men.

Tonight was a good time to start it up again.

Once Cyclops lit his cigar, the two sat back against their chairs.

“Mandatory nudity for all women, too,” he grinned around the cigar.

“Well, that’s a given,” Logan retorted.

They shared a light chuckle, looking out into the starry sky.

“The Professor’s feeling better.”

“Yeah, I stopped by this afternoon. You’d think nothin’ happened, the way he looks.”

“I know,” Scott sounded relieved. “I’m just glad he’s back on his…wheels.”

Another laugh.

“How’re you holding up?” Scott asked a moment later.

“How’d ya mean?”

“Well, let be honest.”

“Oh, God help me.”

Scott snorted with amusement, not turning to look at Logan. Instead, as though by some unspoken male code, the continued to look toward the sky.

“Logan, I told Storm that whatever’s going on with you two, I’m on your side.”

Surprised, Logan did turn this time. “Why?”

“Because I am,” the other man said plainly. “I would like to know what’s going on though. It’s starting to effect the team.”

Because he had a point, because Logan wanted someone’s advice, and because Scott had really been there for him over the last two years, he nodded.

In gruff tones, Wolverine laid out the entire situation to his friend. Starting from the calling-Jean’s-name incident. Though Scott flinched, he did not lash out or seem unnerved by the information. He listened as Logan told him about the airport visit, and all that had happened between himself and Ororo.

Scott listened with that same patient calm as he did most things in his life. Logan knew he was processing all of this new data and would comment once he’d drawn conclusions about it.

One thing that had changed in two years was that Logan never felt judged by Cyclops. The man simply took things and people as they were. Though their relationship was strained in the very beginning, Logan was now another that could simply talk without feeling as though he were trapped in a confessional booth.

“Well, damn,” he said at last, blowing out cigar smoke. “I could write this all down and make a fortune as a novelist.”

Chuckling, Logan rolled his eyes. “Still on my side?”

“Oh yeah,” Cyclops took a long draw from his beer. “You fucked up, but Ororo’s not making anything easier is she?”

“Not really,” Logan agreed. “Makes it worse that now I’m fallin’ for her.”

“Yeah, I didn’t expect you to own up to that one.”

“Me either.”

“Logan, I see how you look at her,” he admitted quietly. “It’s written all over your face. She’s under your skin.”

“Tell me about it,” Wolverine grumbled.

“You two have to figure this out or it’ll drive everyone insane,” Scott sighed. “Storm’s stubborn as hell. If you want her, she’ll make you fight tooth and nail for every inch.”

“Great pep talk,” Logan sighed, letting his head fall back against the chair.

“Let me finish,” Scott said quickly. “But if you tell anyone I told you this, I’ll cut your spleen out.”

“Fair enough,” Wolverine agreed, his interest building.

Cyclops ran a hand through his hair, then scratched his forehead.

“Back a few years…ok, a lot of years ago, we had another student here,” he began. “His name was Forge, coolest mutation. Anyway, he and Storm struck up a romance, started dating. This was back before Jean and I, even.

Well, we finished school. Hank went with Jean to medical school so that left me, Forge and Storm pretty much to our own devices. They were inseparable, I mean so close it almost made me sick.”

Wanting to growl, Logan flexed his hands rhythmically, claws willing him to let them loose.

“Couple of months out of school, Forge asked Storm to marry him.”

“Whoa,” Logan breathed. Had she been married before? Was she a widow?

“Well, Storm didn’t answer right away. Said she needed time to think.”

“She does that,” Wolverine grunted. “Can’t make a decision unless she thinks it through.”

“Apparently you understand her better than Forge did,” Scott’s voice was slightly sad. “When she hesitated, he jumped to the wrong conclusion and withdrew his proposal.”

Shocked, Logan sat up, turning to face his friend. “He did what?”

Scott nodded, taking another draw from his beer. “Yep. Storm was heartbroken. She took off into this monster of a storm. I was afraid she’d really lose it. I mean, together five years and then boom, over.”

“What happened?”

“Forge left the mansion, joined up with some other mutant activist group sanctioned by an undercover government agency. Storm just moved on.”

Heart hurting for her, knowing how painful that experience must have been for her, Logan sighed. “That’s shitty.”

“Yeah.”

“So, what’s the moral of this story?”

Scott’s ruby-covered gaze met Logan’s, the other man’s face set with a sort of grim determination.

“Even with everything that went on with her and Forge, even her and Gambit, I’ve never seen her so unglued about a man before,” Scott said quietly. “For some reason, I think Storm’s in further than she wants to admit.”

Confused, Logan set his beer down and took the cigar from his mouth. “What?”

Sighing, Scott leaned forward. “She loved Forge, there’s no question. But there’s love and then there’s love.” He gestured to empathize his point.

“Storm’s afraid of anything that makes her lose control,” he explained slowly. “Forge was a good, sturdy type that could invent anything, but he wasn’t romantic. He didn’t have Ororo in knots over him.”

“You think she loves me more?”

His friend shook his head. “Not more, just differently. You’re the kind of guy that goes for it, come hell or high water. You go with instinct not intellect. That, I think, makes you dangerous to Ororo. You bring that out in her.”

“And she’s been so crazy because?”

“Her instinct is fighting with her head.”

“So…”

Scott grinned, winked, and stood. “You just have to find a way to get past her tendency to over-think everything. Make her use that instinct.”

“You make it sound easy.”

“How do you think I got Jean to say she’d marry me?” Scott chuckled. “Certainly wasn’t because her head told me I was the nice sturdy type.”

Logan threw his head back and laughed, surprised when the thought brought only the warm memories of Jean and not the sting of loss.

“One other thing,” Scott said as they calmed. “Storm only calls Gambit for a handful of reasons. When the team needs him, when she feels like getting in trouble or when she wants him to protect her.”

Frowning now, Logan raised a brow. “Protect her from what?”

“Herself.”

Scott went back into the house, leaving Logan alone with his thoughts once more.

~**~

By the time Logan made his way back into the house, he’d come to the conclusion that winning Ororo over was going to take more than clubbing her over the head and dragging her back into this cave for wild, uninhibited sex.

Well, there was always room for that, but he would have to appeal to that buttoned-up adventurous nature of hers. He’d have to get her out of the mansion, away from Gambit. Maybe he’d take her out a time or two, trap her into seeing him alone. He’d show his adoration for Prita too, include her as much as he could.

He really shouldn’t be thinking of Ororo naked while trying to make plans like this. It was somewhat hindering to the process. Just the hint of her smile sent his entire system into overload.

Passion and spontaneity were good, but maybe a well-planned seduction was also in order here. Scott might have been right about stopping Ororo from thinking for five minutes, but he wanted all of her. That wild instinct and stubborn intellect. He wanted to make her laugh, to get her angry so she would challenge him.

It had never been like this with Jean.

Logan reached his bedroom and pulled his shirt over his head. Undressing in the dark, he sampled the air with his nose, finding the faint scent of her still lingered in his private space. Stopping on his way to the bathroom, jeans unbuttoned, he grabbed for the pillow on his bed. Not worrying at being caught, he brought the down-filled pillow to his face, inhaling deeply of their mingled scents.

He wanted her. Day by day, he could feel it coiling in his stomach no matter how he tried to slow the progression or forget about it all together. Every smile, every glance pushed him further toward the cliff. He knew he would step off the edge soon and there would be no turning back.

Loving someone that loved you back was an entirely different ballgame. She may have denied it, even fought it, but somewhere inside her, she wanted him to love her.

“I’m workin’ on it, darlin’,” he growled into the pillow. “Just give me a little time.”

Throwing the pillow back down, unable to even mock himself for his emotional state, Logan undressed and moved into the bathroom. He brushed his teeth and completed his nighttime rituals, wishing she would be waiting for him when he moved back into his room.

Of course, there was only silence to greet him. Sighing, Logan ran a hand through the wolfish peaks of his hair. After opening the window to allow that cool breeze inside, he slid into bed. Turning onto his back, he stared up at the ceiling, folding one hand behind his head. As though he could hear the music on the wind, he began to hum.

She’d relented some today, letting him hang around with Prita. He would take what he could get for now. Tomorrow he’d coerce the Cajun and Rogue into helping him out, maybe even call in favors from Blue and Chuck.

Content with his plans, he closed his eyes, imagining that her warm body was in his arms again, her sexy smile meant only for him.

“Yes, I’ll admit that I’m a fool for you,” he sang into the lonesome darkness, hoarsely mimicking Cash’s twang. “Because you’re mine, I walk the line.”

~**~

Logan speaks:

Yeah, I was definitely done. You coulda stuck a fork in me that night. It still bothers me, a little, that I didn’t really see her. ‘Ro was right in that respect. I was an idiot over Jean and never really saw Storm was there the whole time.

I was making up for lost time, I think. I knew I’d have to get past the Cajun and all, but I wasn’t worried. I could see that dumbass was startin’ to go idiot over Rogue, he wasn’t gonna be a problem much longer.

I wish I’d known then how true that statement would end up being. Gettin’ ahead of myself again.

After hearin’ about Forge an’ how Remy met Stormy, I had a lot to think about. When I slept that night, I kept nightmares from takin’ over. Dreams of ‘Ro and Prita mixed in with erotic dreams that had me panting in my sleep.

I kept thinking of babies and Storm until I thought I’d lose my mind, but I slept well that night. I was gonna have her in my life, somehow. Prita was the first step, now, I had to work on the Mommy.

I bribed Rogue and Gambit, coerced Blue, and flat out told Chuck I needed help. The next day was going just as planned. Of course, the road to hell is paved with the best of intentions. My plans might have had a little backfire.

Ok, I’ll be honest. It was a HUGE backfire. Damn that fuckin’ Cajun.
10. Dance by Gaineewop


Chapter Ten: Dance

But when you're holding me like this
I'm carelessly lost in your touch
I'm completely defenseless
Baby, it's almost too much
I'm helplessly, hopelessly, recklessly
Falling in love
~Jessica Andrews


Since it was a Sunday and Gambit was off nursing a hangover the likes of which he had likely never seen, Ororo found herself with a load of free time. Several of the students attended a nearby church with Scott and Renee, leaving the house eerily quiet.

She dressed Prita in another pair of overalls, much like those Logan had chosen yesterday topping it with a yellow blouse complete with cartoon ducks. The girl squealed as her hair was collected into a loose, curling ponytail. Ororo dressed herself in a similar fashion, ready for a day without complications.

After breakfast, the twosome made their way into the gardens, searching for Kitty. Since it seemed too nice a day to be spent indoors, Ororo sought her young friend for some girl time away from the mansion. Rogue and Jubilee were in a similar state as Gambit, leaving them less than enthused about an outing.

They found Kitty watering long rows of blossoming lilac, clothed in jeans as well. The girl had an embossed cap bearing the school’s signature logo holding back her short brown hair and a soft expression on her face.

As Prita and Ororo rounded the corner, she noted that her young friend gazed lovingly at the simple solitaire diamond adorning her left hand. Smiling to herself, Ororo released Prita so the girl could romp about as she spoke to Kitty.

“It really is stunning,” she greeted, coming up behind the distracted girl.

Kitty startled, jerking the spraying water hose violently. “Storm!”

Laughing, Ororo grasped the other woman’s hand quickly, studying the ring Peter had seen fit to give her.

“Isn’t it pretty?” Kitty gushed once she recovered from her shock. “I can’t stop staring at it.”

“It is, Peter has excellent taste,” Ororo agreed. “And not only where diamonds are concerned.”

“Stop, you’re making me blush.”

Ororo released her hand, winking before she turned her face up to the bright sunlight of morning. It really was a lovely day, one filled with promise and hope. Her stomach clenched at the thought of hope.

She was weak and foolish, that was the only explanation. Allowing Logan to get a foothold into her life was definitely not in the cards. But seeing his proud smile, the all-consuming awe in his eyes when Prita walked…she could not keep them apart. His words in the empty classroom came back to her; his desire to be Prita’s father did strange things to her heart.

Logan was perhaps more stubborn than she and there was no doubt in her mind that if he decided he wanted her, he would be relentless in his pursuit. It was best if she put just a bit of distance between them. She would not keep him from Prita, but there would be just a crowbar of separation between Storm and Wolverine.

If Gambit would stop misbehaving for five minutes to help her, it would be much easier. Perhaps encouraging his relationship with Rogue had not been such a wise idea. Ashamed at her thoughts, Ororo shook her head to clear it.

“You ok?” Kitty asked with sincere concern.

“Oh,” Ororo blinked, having not realized she’d fallen into a daze. “Yes. Actually, I wanted to ask if you felt up for a bit of snooping around garage sales.”

“Ooh,” Kitty’s lips pursed as she emitted a sound of intrigue and pleasure. “I’m in. It’ll be fun, just the three of us.”

“I agree!” Ororo forced her mind to drift away from Logan. “Let me get my purse.”

~**~

Three hours and hundreds of sales later, Ororo and Kitty had piled the trunk of her blue Explorer with all manner of things they truly did not need. Though all of the teachers were gifted with a generous employer, there was something very enjoyable when one found a good buy in the midst of someone’s castaways.

There was a lovely chest of drawers made for a child’s bedroom that Ororo got for fifty dollars. Kitty had found an antique wedding dress, that with a bit of clever sewing could be altered to match her dream gown. The trio of females thoroughly picked through lawn after lawn of items, finding something they absolutely needed at nearly every one.

Ororo felt she was nearly through “ Prita’s fussing only hastened that decision “ as they looked through a vast collection of belonging to a young man’s late grandfather. Kitty found a selection of old movies, which she always claimed were her favorites, as Ororo tried to soothe her cranky daughter.

While Kitty fought with the owner of the black and white movie collection, Ororo bounced Prita down the long makeshift aisles, glancing at anything that caught her interest. She hummed to her daughter, a song that had no place on a sunny morning, but brought her mind back to whispered endearments and dark delights. She shouldn’t have that song burned into her memory nor allow the memories it conjured to run rampant in her mind.

She stopped at a folding table, looking at dust-covered record sleeves she selected a few original recordings of Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles. In a record shop, many of these would cost a fortune. Surely the owner of such a collection would have known the value, but perhaps the young man did not.

Snickering to herself, she gathered up a few more records, inwardly wanting to get home so she could fire up the record player she had yet to unpack. There was nothing like an original recording, really.

Just as she hoisted the dozen or so records she’d planned to buy, she came across another familiar sleeve. Mouth hanging open in surprise, Ororo blew the dust off of an old Johnny Cash album.

“Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison…” she muttered, handing Prita to Kitty when the girl approached, obviously triumphant.

After a moment of dedicated digging, she located five more albums, all in mint condition. Biting her lip, she warred with herself. Surely Logan would love such a gift, he had mentioned his love of the now-deceased singer some time ago and backed up his claim by playing recently purchased compact discs.

But how could she give him the records without encouraging him?

“Bother,” she mumbled to herself. “It is simply too good to pass up.”

“Oh my goodness,” Kitty exclaimed a moment later, when she spotted the records in Ororo’s hands. “Were you planning to sell those? Wolverine just loves Johnny Cash. I can’t stand it myself, but he’d be gaga over those!”

Sighing, now resigned to her fate, Ororo shook her head. “I was not intending to sell such treasures.”

Kitty snorted. “I’ll never get old people. CDs are just so much more convenient.”

“Old?”

While her friend blushed prettily, the young owner made his way over to them, giving both women a thorough once-over. Ororo fought the urge to roll her eyes. This too-thin slip of a boy was much too young to understand a woman’s needs. Logan could teach him a thing or two.

She stopped that self-destructive train of thought immediately.

“Can I help you, ma’am?”

Ororo indicated to the stack of records. “How much for these records?”

The boy rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “I’ll take a reasonable offer. They’ve been taking up space since my Granddaddy passed on.”

“Twenty dollars?” she offered easily.

“Someone’s willing to pay that much for these dusty old things?” he seemed shocked by her meager offer.

“That’s what I say!” Kitty chimed in, silenced by Ororo’s sharp look.

“I have an affection for records,” Ororo explained.

“Well, make it forty and I’ll throw in my Granddaddy’s player. I think he’d be a helluva lot happier someone’s enjoying his collection. It was his pride and joy.”

Upon hearing that, Ororo amended her offer to fifty dollars and went home with the player and Granddaddy’s entire collection.


~**~

When the girls returned from their shopping spree, Prita was immediately tucked into bed for her mid-morning nap. Colossus then helped them unload the Explorer, wise enough to not comment on the amount of trips it was likely to take from the garage to the dormitories. He did not even complain when made to haul Prita’s antique dresser up the stairs.

Once everything was in her room, Ororo began to sort through her new things. Of course, the first order of business was to unpack her record player immediately and play one of her new treasures.

While Ray Charles warbled about the “Mess Around”, she smiled and meticulously packed everything away. As Aretha belted out “Natural Woman”, she sang along quietly and made her bed. It was, in a way, utter perfection.

There was still the issue of Logan’s “gift”. She bit her lip while cleaning his records and ensuring the player was in good condition. The previous owner had obviously taken a good deal of pride in his collection; everything was in excellent order.

She could always just break into his bedroom and leave the player and records on his bed. He would likely smell her all over the items, but at least it would save her a potentially embarrassing explanation.

Deciding that was the best course of action, she filled her arms with Johnny Cash, June Carter, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, and Hank Williams, the record player acting as a foundation so the lot wouldn’t spill from her arms.

Stealthily, she popped out of her bedroom, listening for indications that someone was in the hallway. Logan was in the garage with Scott, last she checked. If she moved swiftly enough, she might escape notice. In the X-Mansion, if someone wanted to go unnoticed, they must be quick.

Logan’s bedroom door was unlocked. It took a mere minute to carefully lay his gifts on the bed. Satisfied with her work, Ororo turned to leave, hoping no one would see her exit Logan’s bedroom. Even if he were downstairs, there would likely be talk.

“Now that’s the second time you’ve broken into my room, darlin’.”

Damn it! she thought with venom, turning slowly to face Logan. He was smiling, leaning in the doorway as he used a once-white rag to wipe engine grease from his hands.

“I am sorry, I just wanted to leave this for you,” she said, willing her knees to stop knocking.

It really was ridiculous what this man could do to her.

“Leave me what?”

On a mental sigh, she moved aside, revealing the cache she’d stowed on his bed. Her heart tripped when Logan moved quickly into the room, eyeing the stack of records with something akin to joy on his normally scowling face.

“Holy hell!”

“Do you like it?”

“Like? Like’s not even close!” Logan flipped through the records quickly. “My God, an original recording of Pasty Cline’s “Showcase” album. Where in the hell did you find these?”

Smiling at his obvious enthusiasm, she tilted her head, watching as he held each record reverently. She had known he would enjoy the works of Cash, but his pleasure over the others made her heart leap in her chest.

“Kitty and I went to a few garage sales this morning,” she explained. “A young man was sitting on a treasure trove left by his Grandfather. I bought the entire collection and the player.”

Logan glanced at her, rewarding her efforts with one of his easy grins. “There was more?”

She pretended to look innocent. “Well, I did keep the jazz and blues selections for myself. I thought you might enjoy the older country.”

“You thought right,” he grunted in satisfaction. Before she could react, he leaned over and kissed her cheek softly. “This is great.”

Cheeks flaming with sudden heat, Ororo nodded mutely. She did not feel awkward for giving him the gift, as he did not seem to question her motives. She watched as he cleared off a space on his dresser. He set the player on it, already humming to himself.

“I will leave you to your records, then,” she cleared her throat, wanting a quick escape.

“Just hang on,” he muttered, bending at the waist to plug the player into an outlet.

She tried to object, but her voice refused to work. Instead, she stood dumbly, watching as he eased Patsy from her sleeve. He took up a clean white t-shirt, ensuring the black surface was free of anything that might harm the needle.

Logan placed the needle to the spinning record, then turned to her as the first few haunting notes of whatever song he’d chosen began to play.

“It’s cliché, been done in movies since the sixties, but…” he trailed off when he reached her.

Ororo recognized the song a heartbeat later, even as Logan stepped closer, one of his arms winding around her waist. Unable to think of a good reason to resist, she laid one of her own on his shoulder, clasping her fingers around his when their free hands met.

Patsy Cline’s “Crazy” filled the room as Logan pulled her close, weaving them in a slow circle. He smelled of engine grease and sweat, but she inhaled deeply. It was such a masculine, such a Logan scent that it sent a thrill racing down her spine. She moved a little closer, resting her cheek on his shoulder.

“Your love for this music,” she began, speaking quietly so she would not break the moment. “Is it a memory from before?”

She could feel the rumble of his voice in his chest, over the rhythmic thud of his heart.

“No,” he replied, his lips at her hair so that every word’s breath shifted the unbound locks. “I’d be in a bar somewhere, hear somethin’ I liked and I’d look it up. There’s nothin’ like old records.”

“Amazing,” she muttered.

“What’s that, darlin’?”

“We have something in common.”

They fell into silence, bodies swaying to the music as though there was nothing else in the world. Ororo’s terrified mind was quiet, allowing her heart to capture this simple moment. It seemed so different from the blinding, debilitating desire she usually felt in regards to Logan that for a moment, she wondered why she resisted him at all.

Her body molded against his as though made to fit exactly. He hummed into her ear, his fingers gliding over hers with aching tenderness. Ororo felt the protective walls around her heart begin to crumble.

It should have frightened her into flight, but there was something so comfortable about being in his arms that she forgot why. Even when the song ended, changing to something she did not recognize, she did not release him.

Petite?

Hearing Gambit’s voice, Ororo lifted her head from Logan’s shoulder, feeling him turn toward the open doorway. Remy’s lanky frame filled the doorway, his face not betraying any emotions that might startle the dancing couple. Though Logan and Ororo stopped moving, neither had relinquished their holds.

“Is something the matter?” Ororo asked, waiting for her head to catch up with her.

“Jus’ lettin’ Stormy know, Rogue say lunch ready,” his voice was gentle, giving no hint to what was happening in his head.

Disappointed that this stolen moment was now to be reduced to memory, Ororo nodded.

“We will be down in a moment, thank you.”

As though sensing his dismissal, Gambit vanished from the doorway with a flutter of his worn duster.

“He’s quiet,” Logan observed when the intruder was gone.

“He has spent many years developing that talent.”

When she pulled back, her eyes met Logan’s, finding them warm and inviting. Something in the back of her mind screamed that this was uncharted territory. She felt the urge to flee, but her body seemed too enraptured with Logan’s embrace.

“We should be gettin’ down.”

“Yes.” She regained enough motor control to lower her arms, hating how lonely they felt.

She feared he would speak again or move to detain her as she left the room, but he remained silent and motionless, allowing her to escape. Ororo wasn’t sure if she was encouraged or terrified by what that meant. Drawing her usual aloof calm about her, she stepped out of the room.

Before she could vanish around the corner, Logan called her name. She turned, capturing the image of him standing alone and stained with the whine of Patsy’s voice surrounding him in the deepest, most secret parts of her memory.

“Thanks for the dance,” he rumbled softly.

Touched, more than she would have liked, Ororo could not stop the small, pleased smile that covered her lips.

“You are welcome.”

As she left him behind, Ororo shook her head. That ended better than the last.

~**~


Ororo had a book open on her lap as she lounged in the mansion’s busy game room later that evening. Gambit had roped his new found “group” into a game of pool as the lazy Sunday began to wind down.

Iceman and Jubilee were currently winning, though Rogue and Gambit seemed more intent on brushing against one another than playing the game. Ororo watched the group of young people with a smile on her face, enjoying the sight of hormone-engaged youth at it’s finest.

Some kind of heavy rock band was wailing out of the elaborate sound system Charles had purchased some years ago. The large, airy room was soundproofed, so long as the wide French doors were closed, allowing the teenagers to blast their music as loud as they liked.

Ororo ignored the noise they referred to as music, content to enjoy her perch on the long chaise butted against the enormous windows. A soft, sweet breeze wound it’s way into the room, making her eyes droop sleepily.

The dance shared with Logan still floated in and out of her mind, even as she attempted to draw up a checklist of things the teachers needed to complete before the new term began. Henry and Scott had left this morning on a recruitment mission, promising to behave themselves while scouting for young mutants in need of help.

Charles had vanished into the gardens some time ago, his energy levels doubled as his recovery neared completion. She could hardly believe that only a few weeks had passed since his near-fatal heart attack. It was remarkable to see him so revitalized.

With care over her penmanship, Ororo filled in a spreadsheet for classes and students, cross-referencing it with age groups and mutations. The X-Men had been granted a slow few months in the fight for mutant rights, aside from the misadventure in Georgia.

Humming to the tune of Patsy Cline in her mind, Ororo worked quietly, glancing up when the young people at the billiard table shouted with triumph or groaned in defeat. Gambit, she noted with some amusement, seemed unable to tear his eyes from lovely Rogue.

The girl still held a somewhat haunted look in her eyes and she never spoke of the woman whose life she’d taken. Ororo and Charles spoke about it, at length, earlier in the afternoon, finally coming to the conclusion that he had interfered enough. With help from her friends, she would move on in her own time, at her own pace.

Satisfied with that decision, Ororo was content to leave her to her friends, wondering just what she and Gambit spoke of when they frequently went “off the radar” in secret places on the grounds. Ororo knew -- better than anyone -- that Remy could be a wonderful listener when he wanted to be.

She guessed Rogue had his full attention whenever she desired it.

The French doors opened, drawing her gaze to the burly figure scowling around a lit cigar.

“What in the fuckin’ hell are you listenin’ to?” he demanded over the whine of a guitar solo. “How could you let them kill brain cells with this shit, Storm?”

Biting back laughter at his offended stance, she shrugged her shoulders. “I was outvoted.”

“You’re bigger than them, turn this shit off,” he shook his head as he entered the room, closing the door behind him.

Ororo nodded, standing from her perch on the chaise and handing Logan her work when he neared. Though the children voiced serious displeasure, she switched the disc in the player from something labeled as “Metallica” to Jerry Lee Lewis’ Greatest Hits.

“Ok, Ah can live with this, Ah guess,” Rogue mumbled, bobbing her head to the talented piano notes of “Shake, Rattle, an’ Roll”.

“Much better, ‘Ro, thanks,” Logan agreed as she came back to the chaise.

The others muttered their agreement, going back to their new pool game. Logan had taken a seat on the chair beside the chaise, handing her back the lapdesk she’d been using.

“Chuck told me you were workin’ on the new schedule,” he said, pointing to the manila folder in his hands. “Thought we should talk about it.”

With a small noise of agreement, she flipped open her folder, showing him what she’d done thus far. The group would have a staff meeting when Henry and Scott returned, so she hoped to be finished with everything in the next few days.

“Hey,” Logan said, looking around suddenly. “Where’s the rugrat?”

Smiling, Ororo gestured toward the parlor. “Watching a Veggie Tales video with Kitty and Peter. I think our young soon-to-be-newlyweds wanted to discuss wedding details.”

“Huh,” he grunted, taking her folder from her. “Can you believe she asked me to walk her down the aisle?”

Surprised by this, and that Kitty never mentioned it during their outing, she smiled. “I hope you agreed.”

“Course I did,” Logan scratched his chin, leafing through the various papers in her folder. “If I’d said no, she’d have cried all over me.”

Chuckling, Ororo mimicked his movements, searching through the records from last term. Scott kept things in meticulous order, for which she was grateful.

“Figure you can start the honors classes again, if you want,” Wolverine said a moment later. “I wouldn’t mind keeping a few if you don’t want to go back to full time yet.”

“That would be preferable,” she agreed. “Perhaps we can share one of the defense classes as well?”

“Works for me,” he marked it down in the margin of her spreadsheet. “I’m taking physical education again this term. One-Eye’s got problems with all powers allowed dodgeball.”

“How is that fair?” she questioned with an arched brow.

“Ain’t,” he grunted. “But it teaches ‘em how to think on their feet.”

“You have a point there.”

The continued working in relative silence, drawing up a schedule and timetable with minimal overlaps. It became obvious that Logan truly enjoyed working with the children and took pride in how well his history students tested at the end of the term.

It was, perhaps, the most civil and calm conversation they’d had in two years. Without even Prita as a crutch, they managed to work without their personal life interfering. Ororo wondered what he had been like after her abrupt departure from the X-Men. Had he been dragged into teaching kicking and screaming? Or did he accept it, coming deeper and deeper into the familial fold?

Her heart skipped a few beats every time their hands brushed, bringing her back to their first meeting. She’d been nearly breathless, seeing him in the Professor’s office. He was so lost, so interesting that she felt her heart leave her immediately.

It all came crashing down when Jean entered the room. She’d seen the look on his face, the lingering stare that reminded her that the telekinetic woman would always be preferable to a cold, white-haired mutant. She’d tried, from that moment on, to fight her attraction to Logan.

Unfortunately, that plan had not worked out as she would have liked.

“Hey,” she heard Logan snap his fingers, surprised when she finally noticed he was trying to get her attention. “Where’d you take off to?”

“No where,” she smiled softly. “Lost in my thoughts.”

“You do that,” he smirked. “Wanna share what’s on your mind?”

“Jean,” Ororo said without thinking.

Logan’s smile faded and he turned his eyes back to the paperwork in his hands.

“I’ll go give this to Chuck, he’ll wanna look over it.”

Before she could stop him, Logan gathered their work into his hands and replaced the chair to its normal spot. Ororo sat up, swinging her legs over the edge of the chaise, as though to give chase.

“Logan, wait.”

Her call went unanswered and he left the room as quietly as he’d come. Ororo sat back against the swooping arm of the chaise, rubbing her temples to fight off the building headache forming between her eyes.

She wanted to explain that she only thought of Jean with fondness and not jealousy now, but how could she when he continued to clam up at the very mention of her name. Sighing, she wondered if his torch for her dead friend would ever be extinguished. Would she always be the second choice?

Petite?”

Tilting her head, she looked at Gambit upside down, frowning at the serious look on his handsome face.

“When my Roro gon understan’ that de Wolverine ain’t Forge?”

“I do not compare the two,” she defended instantly.

“Maybe not ‘ere,” he tapped her forehead. “But ‘ere, oui.”

She sighed when he placed his hand over her heart briefly. “Gambit…”

“Stormy won’t learn anyting if she won’ let go. Gambit tink you tryin’ too hard.”

Before she could contradict him, he’d already turned back to his game, leaving her more confused than ever.

~**~

Ororo speaks:

Gambit did have a point. Though I rarely thought about Forge, his abrupt abandonment had scarred my heart more than I wanted to admit. I knew Forge was a man that demanded answers; like me, he enjoyed having a plan and following it to perfection.

When I hesitated at his offer of marriage, it was only to ensure I wanted that life with him. And at the time, I did with all my heart. With the clarity granted by hindsight, it was probably best that he did leave me. Though our marriage would have been lasting, I am unsure as to whether it would have been truly fulfilling, for either of us. Forge enjoyed my tightly wound control, but there were times when I wanted to let loose.

Logan was Forge’s opposite and part of me truly feared that. Though I enjoyed misbehaving and allowing my adventurous side to occasionally see daylight, Logan made it almost impossible to rein those impulses in.

Either way, that day spun me around until I was unable to detect which side of me was dominant. My intellectual tendencies cherished that afternoon in the game room and the soft, swaying dance in Logan’s bedroom. My greedy primal side seemed stuck on passionate kisses and needy touches.

I heard whispers that Logan had something planned for that evening, but we never got to it. You see, none of us really noticed how Rogue was rebelling against us. At least, not until late that night.

In fact, none of us knew anything was really and truly wrong until Gambit and Rogue ran away.
11. It Burns by Gaineewop


Chapter Eleven: It Burns

Love is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire
~Johnny Cash



Logan speaks:

I still can’t hear Patsy Cline without thinkin’ of that dance. The way she felt in my arms, the smell of her hair, it’s all a part of me. Years later, no matter how bad things got, I could always put on that record and just drift into memory.

She wanted me to forget about her, but it proved impossible. Every memory I had of her seemed to return more and more often. It wasn’t hard to admit I was falling for her now. I’d known it was comin’, prepared for it even. I was terrified she’d reject me. Nothing stopped it once started though.

I couldn’t name it then, but the emotion in my chest grew with every minute that ticked by. I’d always thought love would feel like a warm, soft blanket. It came to me a little differently. Searing flame is more like it, actually.

I’d wandered outside after leavin’ her in the game room. It wasn’t that talkin’ about Jean was hard or anythin’, but I figured talkin’ about her with Storm was just askin’ for another shoutin’ match. I decided to just leave before it got outta hand.

Funny, how things work out. It was a surprise when I found myself at Jean’s grave. Maybe I still needed to say goodbye, out loud an’ all. Either way, I spent the rest of that afternoon an’ evenin’ talkin’ to our Jean.


~**~

“Hey, Jeannie?” Logan crouched beside the marble stone engraved with her name, wiping away the dirt and dead leaves that nature had blown over it. “What would you say to me an’ ‘Ro? Don’t tell me you’d be jealous.”

He chuckled at his own joke, wondering if Jean was smiling at him, shaking her head in that amused and disapproving manner. Dusk was falling over the mansion, though he’d only just finished telling her about Rogue’s new powers and Gambit’s appearance.

“Bet you’d think it was hysterical, wouldn’t ya?” he continued. “Cause I’m tellin’ ya, Red, she’s got me spinnin’ in circles. Can’t tell what end’s up when she’s around. Feels like…feels like I’m standin’ on a cliff, about to take that leap into midair an’ hopin’ she’ll be there to jump off with me, jus’ so I won’t be alone.”

Sighing, he rubbed the back of his neck, settling his backside on the cool grass that covered her grave. The small dish of oil from which Jean’s memorial flame burned needed to be replenished; he’d mention it to Chuck tomorrow.

“I’m an idiot, Jeannie,” Logan went on. “What in the hell was I thinkin’? I can only remember the last…eighteen years or so of my life, but somethin’ tells me this thing with ‘Ro is definitely a first.

Cyckie seems to think I’ve got a chance an’ after that dancin’ bit today, he might be right. Guess I should really be askin’ if I deserve her. What do you think, darlin’?”

As usual, there was no response to his question. Logan imagined her presence was on the gentle breeze that kicked up around him. He thought that perhaps she did approve and was working on a way to help him out.

“Any luck up there?” he squinted, looking into the blue-black heavens. “Wanna give me some advice? A little shove? Anythin’?”

When the expected silence stretched beyond several minutes, Logan sighed, looking back at the headstone as he pulled his knees up, draping his arms over them.

“I’m crazy about her, Jean,” he said in a quiet tone. “I don’t care if it takes me years, I’m gonna have her. I’m gonna have days with her, months, years, until we’re old and gray.”

He chuckled to himself. “I can’t believe it’s me sayin’ this. But it’s what I want. Maybe after I wear her down enough to accept me, we can see about marriage an’ babies an’ all. I’m nuts about Prita, too. I’m turnin’ into a sap, and I blame it on Cyclops.”

If he listened hard enough in the dark, he could hear Jean’s soft laughter. “Hey, don’t laugh at me, girl! I’m just bein’ honest. I’m thinkin’ we could use a night out together. Maybe hit a movie and have dinner. I got Chuck to keep the kids occupied, Jubi’s gonna help Kitty take care of the kiddo. Made sure Rogue and Gambit are busy. Scott’s with Hank…maybe if I make it sound like everyone’s off doin’ their own, I can get her outside. Whatcha think?”

If there was an answer, it was cut off by a call of his name. Ears twitching, Logan turned his head, standing in one fluid motion.

His hands balled into fists, but the adamantium hidden by his skin remained in place.

“Kitten? What’s wrong?” Logan questioned when he spotted the familiar, female figure rushing toward him.

“We’ve got a problem,” Kitty panted when she reached him. “Rogue and Gambit took off.”

~**~

Inside the mansion had been thrust into complete chaos. Logan and Kitty entered through the kitchen door, and rushed into the parlor, where it seemed an impromptu meeting was taking place. Even the Professor had wheeled into the room, trying to quiet the maddening chatter off too many raised voices.

Prita was in her mother’s arms, whining and kicking to be set free. Logan crossed the room to the pair, swooping the fussing child into his arms and plopping her on his shoulders so she could distract herself by playing with his hair.

“What’s goin’ on?” he demanded on Storm.

She stood, lacking almost all of her usual serenity, with a lip clenched between her teeth.

“I have no idea,” she admitted. “I went to ask Rogue if she wanted a nighttime flying lesson and all I found was this.”

Her delicate hands took a slip of paper from her pocket, which she handed to him silently. Logan’s eyes flicked over the familiar scrawl of his young friend.

Everyone,

Went away with Gambit for a while. I need time to think. I’m sorry, Logan.

Love,
Rogue


“That’s helpful,” he snarled, crumpling the note in his hands. “Your damned Cajun took off with her!”

Storm was immediately on her guard, the irritated flash in her eyes telling him he was steadily losing ground in the winning-her-over department. He wasn’t concerned with that now. He intended to locate Marie and haul her back to the mansion, by the hair if need be. If the situation called for it, he’d beat the hell out of the Ragin’ Cajun while he was at it.

“I believe Marie incapable of being coerced into anything,” she retorted, weaving her arms beneath her breasts. “She is an adult.”

“Yeah,” Logan replied sarcastically. “An’ your friend’s a born womanizer. He could charm the bark off a tree.”

“Wolverine, you do not know him,” she shot back. “I have no doubt in my mind that the decision to leave was mutual.”

“Aw, bullshit,” he thundered, leaning down so Jubilee could collect Prita from his shoulders. “You knew somethin’ like this was gonna happen!”

“Did I?” Ororo’s voice had reached the point of shouting. “Of course, I did. I planned the entire thing, wasn’t that clever of me?”

“If anything happens to Rogue, I won’t be responsible for what happens to the swamp rat!”

“If you lay one hand on him, I will show you exactly how it feels to be struck by lightning!”

“You don’t wanna get in my way, Storm!”

“Do not try my patience, Wolverine!”

The mansion shook in the aftermath of a massive clap of thunder. His ears ringing from the sound, Logan flinched, then met Ororo’s glowing white eyes. Oh, she was angry, perhaps more so than he’d ever seen her.

Though he wanted to throttle her with his bare hands, he was momentarily stunned by how ethereal she seemed in that moment. Beast told him, a good while ago, that she’d once been worshipped in the savannahs of Africa. In that instant, Logan understood why someone would put her on a pedestal so high.

“Stop.”

Chuck’s voice held none of the weary tone he’d had for the last month or so. That one word seemed to vibrate in both Logan’s ears and his mind. He sheathed his claws, unaware that they’d even been released sometime during his argument with Storm.

She, however, seemed neither threatened nor moved as the razor-sharp metal slipped back into his hands.

“This will solve nothing,” Chuck continued when the arguing pair turned to him. “Rogue obviously left of her own volition.”

“Do mean to not pursue them?” Storm inquired, her tone back to its normal level.

The bald man shook his head, raising a hand when they both moved to speak. “For now, we will wait them out. If they have not returned in a few days, I will grant permission for you both to retrieve them. Unharmed.”

With a growl, Logan turned his back on his family, stomping toward the elevator that would lead to the lower levels. If he stayed in close contact with everyone, he would likely cause irreparable damage.

No one called him back or tried to stop him as he stepped into the elevator. Before the heavy metal door could close, his eyes met Ororo’s.

She stood alone in the hall, eyes back to their brilliant blue. There was an odd twitch to her lips, as though she wanted to say something. Sadness filled her sapphire gaze and for a moment, he reached up to stop the door from closing.

He dropped his hand a beat later, letting the door slide closed. A glimpse of her suddenly icy exterior seemed to sear him from the inside out. He wanted to go to her, to tell her that somehow, everything would be right again. He desperately wished to go back to just hours before, when they’d danced in his room.

Pain singed his heart with the violence of unchecked flame. It roiled in the pit of his stomach, warring with the side of him that wanted to drown in it. Was that truly pain? Anger? Resentment? Or was it that his growing love for the white-cropped goddess seemed eager to brand him from the inside out?

Leaning his palms on the elevator door, as he had the day of Rogue’s secondary mutation, Logan inhaled deeply.

“It burns,” he whispered to himself, thinking of Storm’s sorrowful eyes. “It burns.”

~**~

Two days after Rogue and Gambit vanished from the mansion, Cyclops and Beast returned. Never in all of his life had Logan been so happy to see them. Tension filled the mansion to the point of physical pain. Most avoided allowing Logan and Ororo in the same room for longer than a moment, as though afraid any more time together would only stir them up.

Prita often found her way into Logan’s room, usually by evading her babysitters or mother. Once inside, she would climb up onto his bed and watch as he took care of his things.

He told her all about the proper care of old records and discussed with his rapt audience the intricacies of a fine cigar. Heeding Ororo’s wishes, he never smoked with the baby in the room, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t show her how one was selected.

The child seemed to adore playing with clothing as well. Hardly a visit from her went by without Logan’s things winding up on the floor. He allowed it, watching with a smile on his face as she attempted to don his enormous t-shirts.

This was the scene on Tuesday afternoon. Cash was singing about life behind bars on the record player as Logan lay on his stomach across the bed, watching Prita model his clothing from her place on the floor. He cherished these few moments alone with her, letting that warm innocence soothe his fractured soul for a while.

“Hey,” Cyclops said, appearing at the open bedroom door. “What’s going on in here?”

“Come on in,” Wolverine gestured to his friend. “Princess here is showing me how to wear my jeans.”

Scott was chuckling as he entered the room, peeking around the bed at the little darling currently babbling a mile a minute.

“Turning into a chatterbox,” the younger man commented.

“Yeah, her first actual word can’t be far off.”

Scott was quiet for a moment, both men content to watch the little one play for a time. Logan knew it wouldn’t last; his thoughts confirmed a minute later.

“I heard about Rogue and Gambit,” he said cautiously. “I take it you never got Storm out of here?”

“Nope, we decided to have a shoutin’ match instead,” Logan grumbled.

“Those are always fun,” said Cyclops wryly. “Have you talked to her since?”

“Nope.”

“Planning to?”

“Nuh-uh.”

“Rather sit here listening to Johnny Cash, watching her daughter play with your underwear and brood?”

“Uh-huh.”

There was a short, tense silence in which Logan could hear Scott sigh.

“You’re a lot of things, Wolverine,” he said quietly. “But I never took you for a coward.”

Before Logan could sit up, Cyclops was gone. Growling to himself, claws itching for release, he turned back to Prita. The tiny, dark-skinned child had a pair of his boxers on her head, the elastic band almost covering her eyes.

She looked up at him and grinned to show off fleshy gums and four tiny teeth.

Unable to stop himself, Logan’s lips twitched with the onset of a smile, followed swiftly by an amused chuckle.

“You’re crazy, kid.”

Prita’s grin widened and she stood awkwardly. A few wobbly steps over the pile of clothing on the floor brought her to the edge of his bed. Her tiny, chubby hands grasped his hairy forearm so she could lean up, touching his nose with hers.

“Hi,” he said quietly. “Whatcha doin’?”

Every time he looked at Prita, he thought of Storm. Though the last words they’d spoken to one another had been screeched in anger, he thought his heart would burn black from the intensity of what he was feeling.

She reached inside him, churning up parts he hadn’t known existed. She was fiery passion and soft tenderness in one shot. It called to him, begging to be tasted and savored. He wanted to go to her now, scoop her into his arms and lay claim on what his heart designated was rightfully his. He’d hurt her again, but no more than she’d hurt him.

Fighting over their best friends wasn’t really the most mature thing in the world, but he couldn’t help but worry over Marie. She was young, impressionable, and shouldering a burden that shouldn’t have been hers. Gambit was dangerous, as least to him. The red-eyed man, though obviously enamored with Marie, wasn’t the type girls brought home to Papa.

Prita’s deep black eyes were still directly in front of his, her nose pressed against his tenderly.

“What should I do, kid?” he asked of her. “Leave Rogue to get hurt? Tell your mom I think I’m in love with her? Or just hang out with you?”

Like Jean, Prita did not have an answer for him, but the little girl kissed the tip of his nose sweetly. He gave her a small half-grin.

“That’s ok, darlin’. It’s somethin’ I need to do on my own, isn’t it?”

Jubilee appeared a moment or so later, knocking on the open door.

“Hey, Storm asked me to make sure she gets her nap,” said the young girl, obviously aware that she was breaking up a rather private moment.

“Yeah, sure,” Logan nodded, sliding off of the bed and divesting the girl of his clothing.

Prita gave him a hug when he lifted her into his arms, following it up with a lip-smacking kiss to the cheek before he handed her off to Jubilee.

“Uh,” Jubilee stammered a little as Logan waved goodbye to Prita. “Storm also had a message for you.”

Scowling, more because the girl expected it than anything else, he grunted.

“Hey, don’t kill the messenger,” Jubilee defended. “She just said that she would be in the greenhouse for a while.”

It was a subtle hint, he thought. She gave him an invitation, but no pressure to actually meet her there. It was likely that she wanted to talk about Rogue and Gambit; the greenhouse ensured another shouting match would disturb no one, should they both feel the need to let their tempers reign.

“Yeah,” Logan told Jubilee. “Make sure you give Princess here her elephant when you put her down. I’ll be in the greenhouse.”

Jubilee smiled prettily. “Ok. Want my monitor?”

Nodding, Logan took the slender device and clipped it to the belt holding his jeans up. He walked with the two young girls until they reached Prita’s bedroom door. When the little one tried to whimper, a clever move to buy her way out of a nap, Logan told her on no uncertain terms that she was to nap as Jubi instructed.

With her pout following him, Logan steeled his spine and headed for the back staircase. If Storm wanted to talk, he’d talk. He just wanted to see her again.

~**~

The greenhouse always smelled fantastic. Earth and water and the unmistakable scent of growth, life. They were not left unattended in Ororo’s absence. He would often find Hank or Peter inside, carefully tending to the flowers and herbs Storm left behind.

It was nearing midmorning when Logan found his way to the tall, enclosed greenhouse where Ororo said she would be. With Prita snuggled away in her bed and the others giving both Wolverine and Storm wide berth, it was a good time to talk.

He tried to tell himself that the double beat of his heart was just because he’d taken the steps too fast. No matter how ridiculous it seemed, it was an excuse.

The door leading into the expansive and humid space was open, so he entered quietly, sharp eyes searching for the signature white hair. Ororo stood at a long table, her hands caked with potting soil as she dutifully transplanted a few of the cuttings Cyclops had started some months back.

“Are we talkin’ or shoutin’?” he said by way of greeting.

Ororo turned her glorious head, giving him a look that clearly said “I’d stick my tongue out at you if I dignity would allow it.”

“Funny, very funny,” she said, motioning for him to come closer with a jerk of her head.

Logan moved all the way inside, smiling faintly. There was a large, open space on the table where she worked, so he hopped up onto it. Ignoring her look of disapproval, he peeked over to see what she was working on.

Her long, delicate fingers worked spirals of roots free from the too-small pots before she lowered the growing plant into a new home. He watched quietly as she packed in more of the loose soil around the roots, ensuring it would not tip or grow at an odd angle.

“You’re pretty good at that,” he remarked.

“I have had practice,” she replied, looking at him from under her curling lashes. “Are you still cross with me?”

“Cross?” Logan shrugged. “I wasn’t cross. I was pissed off.”

That elicited a much-desired chuckle from his playmate. “You are in a mood. What did Prita do?”

Grinning widely, Logan shook his head. “She had my boxers on her head.”

“Oh my,” Ororo laughed heartily, brushing the loose earth from her hands as she finished her potting.

He did not offer his help as she moved the now-full tray into a nearby rack, knowing she would only shoo him away. The greenhouse was her arena and he would respect that.

When she faced him again, he patted the clear space on the table beside him, inviting her to sit. “Walk on the wild side and sit on the damn table, ‘Ro.”

Accepting his challenge, she fitted her denim-covered backside on the table, her long legs swinging carelessly. How she managed to still looked dignified and purposeful when sitting on a table in a hot greenhouse, he would never know.

“I think we got riled up,” he said in lieu of a flat out apology.

“A little, perhaps,” she agreed, fidgeting with the dirt under her nails. “I am protective of Gambit.”

“Yeah,” Logan cleared his throat. “Same with me an’ Marie.”

They lapsed into a semi-comfortable silence, with him looking at her and her eyes on her hands. She did not shift to move her legs, so her thigh grazed his. Just that simple contact was satisfying and inflaming at the same time.

After she scratched her nose, he spoke again.

“What do you think they’re doin’?”

Ororo paused, raising her eyes so that she concentrated on the glass side of the greenhouse, a slightly thoughtful furrow creasing her brow. He had the maddening impulse to lean over and kiss that line between her eyebrows.

“Healing,” she said at last. “I thought that Gambit’s enthusiasm to come here was simply out of his desire to see me, now I believe I may have been incorrect.”

“Wanna run that one by me again?”

She sighed, pouting her lips and blowing a lock of hair from her eyes. “Usually he makes some pretense of what an inconvenience it will be. I had barely identified myself before he was offering to come out. It was not like him.”

“Huh,” Logan grunted. “So, you’ve got a Cajun too far from the Bayou with some kinda issues an’ a Southern girl with a lot on her shoulders…”

“You are tired, afraid, and rebellious…” Ororo continued for him.

“An’ you have an itch to just get away, be with each other.”

“So, you leave and hope the others will give you some time alone before they drag you back by the hair.”

Amused that she echoed his thoughts from the other night, Logan grunted again, nodding his head slightly. Put in a young couple’s logic that way, it did make sense. When he began to think about it all instead of simply reacting, he admitted that it was probably good for the two of them to have some time to themselves.

If Gambit was heading down a similar path that Logan found himself traveling, the kid could use some time to get used to the idea. Loving someone was one thing. Having it returned upped the ante. Being in love without even the prospect of physical contact anywhere in the future or present would make lesser men fold completely.

“I worry about them.” Ororo’s soft admission broke into his thoughts.

“You worry about everybody.”

“Touché,” she chuckled again, the smoky sound making him lean a little closer.

To his surprise, she shifted closer to him, their dangling feet meeting over the edge of the table. He nudged her back, keeping the contact light so as not to startle her. Ororo glanced up at him, a smile on her beautiful face. He returned the gesture when she tapped his foot again.

They continued for several seconds, reveling in the quiet of the greenhouse. When she turned her face to his fully, he spotted a smudge of dirt on her nose. Without thinking, he raised his hand, capturing her chin to hold her still. With the thumb of his free hand, he wiped away the smidge, surprised when she did not attempt to flee.

Though the dirt was gone, he continued touching her face, his eyes meeting hers. She seemed to search his gaze for a long moment, so he allowed her to. His heart leapt to a thundering tattoo, the scent and touch of her driving his senses into immediate overload.

After several long, almost breathless moments, Ororo leaned closer to him. Caught up in the moment, finding the true blue of her eyes filled with inviting warmth, he flattened his palm to cup her cheek. Her breathing accelerated then caught in her throat, the rhythm of her heart jumping to match his own.

Precious inches remained between them and though he wanted to swoop in to take her lips as his own, he held himself in tight check. This would be done at her pace or not at all. Logan felt as though his mind shut down as he waited for her to move. The scant space between them seemed so minuscule, so unimportant.

Ororo’s eyes were open to him for perhaps the first time since they’d met. He could see a hundred emotions he’d never have time to name if given a millennia. When something that struck him as doubt floated close to the surface of those sapphire pools, he smoothed his thumb over her cheek, trying to silently soothe it away.

Her eyes fluttered, nearly remaining closed at the touch. He felt his own lids grow heavy under the heady intoxication her nearness furnished him with.

A heartbeat later, Ororo closed the distance between them, brushing her full, succulent lips over his with aching tenderness. Logan’s eyes fell shut completely and he sought her mouth again, keeping his touch light and unrestricting.

Ororo leaned into him, her hands coming up to rest over his, which still cupped her face. Logan’s heart stuttered and stopped, the perfection of this moment committed to the most secret places of his heart and memory. She tasted of honey and smelled of rain and earth. It was intimate and temperate though undercurrents warned of fiery passion that would build in a slow burn that was made to last.

Scarce minutes, long hours, or several days could have gone by without his notice. He knew only her, only the peace and sanctity of her embrace.

When breathing became an insistent bodily demand, he pulled away slowly, hoping to retain and leave traces of this first, true kiss shared between them. Her eyes sought his immediately, this time filled with longing.

That’s it, he thought as the beast slumbered inside him. I’ve gone and fallen in love.

Aloud, he whispered, not wanting harsh voices to break this everlasting moment.

“Dinner? You an’ me? Out?”

She did not hesitate, but brought her arms up to wrap about his neck, her lips grazing his in a way that sent his head directly back into the clouds she loved.

“Yes.”
12. Diamond Sky by Gaineewop


Chapter Twelve: Diamond Sky

I’d climb right up to the sky
Take down the stars
Just to be in your arms, baby
I’d go and capture the moon
That’s what I would do
Just to hear you say that you love me
~Faith Hill and Tim McGraw


Ororo speaks:

I have never been one for sweeping romantic gestures. Something about wildly planned evenings, expensive champagne, roses, and sonnets comparing my eyes to a perfect summer sky have never really won me over.

I prefer something from the heart, without the usual pomp and ceremony found in the films Kitty cries her eyes out to. That morning in the greenhouse was something so achingly perfect, it could have only come from Logan. How could any woman resist a man that wipes dirt from her nose while looking at her as though he has never seen anything so breathtaking in all his life?

Perhaps some could. I, however, was not so strong. His kiss, so tender and affectionate, brought down those walls around my heart I so carefully erected to keep him out. As he would put it: “I was done for.”

Though I still had my worries regarding Gambit and Rogue, his whispered dinner invitation was too tempting to resist. After we shared a few more of those toe-curling kisses while sitting on a dirty table, he told me to get “all gussied up”. I had my reservations about dressing up, but Logan has never done anything he did not want to do.

So, I agreed. Once care was secured for my darling daughter, I made sure she had dinner and then rushed upstairs to prepare for my date. I wanted to grab a piece of solid happiness before our world came crashing down again.

In retrospect, I am glad I did. I learned a great deal about Logan that night and even more about myself.


~**~

Ororo checked her reflection in the full-length mirror for the hundredth time as she slipped on a pair of simple black pumps. She had no idea where Logan was taking her, so like a good woman would; she fell back on the all-purpose answer.

The little black dress, of course, is a time-honored tradition among women. As Jean explained several years prior, the dress was simple: a little too short and just a tad too tight with a showing of enough cleavage to get a man’s blood racing. Logan had never seen her dressed up properly, so she seized the moment.

Her hair was clean and dry, left to graze her shoulders in soft waves. Logan was the kind of man that seemed to like the unbound look and she was more than happy to forgo pinching bobby pins.

After checking to ensure that her shoes did indeed match the dress, she made her way to the dresser to fish through her jewelry box. Locating a simple pair of diamond studs Scott had given her for Christmas one year, she fastened them into her earlobes, glancing at the baby playing with a set of wooden blocks on her bed.

“Well?”

Prita looked up at her mother, clapping happily and cooing in a manner that Ororo took for approval.

“Yes?” she grinned, moving toward the bed as though about to unleash the “Tickle Troll”. Prita squealed with childish laughter, scrambling toward the head of the bed.

“Ha! There is no escape!” Ororo laughed, seizing Prita’s leg and hauling her toward the edge, putting her in perfect range for mother to tickle daughter’s sides mercilessly.

Prita’s howling laughter bounced off of the walls, followed by noises of one’s cheeks being kissed hardily. Ororo ran tickling fingernails along the bottoms of Prita’s pajama-covered feet just as Jubilee knocked on the bedroom door.

“Storm? Logan’s waiting downstairs,” the girl’s voice was very close to a squeal.

“Just a moment,” Ororo said, looking to Prita. “Now, I wonder what has her so excited.”

“Hurry up, Storm!” Jubilee called. Ororo could almost hear her bouncing.

Gathering Prita into her arms, Ororo moved swiftly to the door. When it opened, she caught Jubilee glancing over her shoulder, a grin that reminded the older mutant of a Cheshire cat covering her youthful face.

When her almond-shaped eyes turned back to Storm, her jaw fell open.

“Holy shit!” she gushed with a gleeful squeal. “You lookgorgeous!”

“Language!” Ororo said tartly, handing Prita to her young friend. “But thank you. What has you so excited?”

Jubilee bounced Prita on her hip, making a silly face to elicit a laugh from the baby.

“You’ve got to see Wolvie!” Jubilee said, reaching out to tug on Ororo’s arm. “He Clark Gable’d me!”

Confused now more than ever, Ororo blinked. “He what?”

Kitty appeared at the top of the stairs at a dead run only a heartbeat later. Her pretty face was flushed and she waved her hand as though to cool herself.

“He do it to you, too?” Jubilee asked of her friend.

“Oh God, yes,” Kitty grinned when she reached them, taking in Ororo’s dress with a low wolf-whistle. “His stomach’s going to flop out of his butt! You look great.”

Ororo held up a hand, silencing them both. “First, thank you. I am happy you both think I look pretty. Secondly, what did Logan do?”

Both girls, in perfect unison, sighed in a manner fitting a black and white film star.

“He’s standing at the staircase, waiting, leaning on the banister,” Kitty swooned.

“I turned to look at him and he gave me that smile…just like in Gone with the Wind when Rhett first meets Scarlett.”

The elder mutant looked from one girl to the other, still not completely understanding what in the world they were talking about. Shaking her head, she decided to let it go before Logan got tired of waiting for her.

“No sweets,” she ordered Kitty as she smoothed her dress. “Bed by nine.”

“I know, I know! Go meet your hunk of burnin’ love.”

Sighing to herself, Ororo brushed past them, heading to the stairs. Both of them could be so very childish when they were excited. She could not ever remember being so carefree, so willing to be looked upon as “silly”. For a moment, she paused to look at the giggling pair cuddling her daughter.

She was suddenly very pleased with her position on the X-Men. That tender moment in the hall was worth fighting for.

It took her a moment to gather her wits about her, but she managed to begin the descent on the staircase. Nerves flooded in her stomach, bringing a small smile to her face. When was the last time she’d had a date? Certainly not during her sojourn in India. Oh, she’d taken a lover once or twice, for the sake of physical release that kept her sane, but dinner out with a man she genuinely liked?

Forge, she thought, shaking her head. But I will not let that…

She’d reached the second landing, revealing her date awaiting at the bottom of the staircase. Logan was indeed leaning on the staircase and his eyes lit up the moment he spotted her. Ororo’s heart stuttered to a halt in her chest, taking in the sight of him.

He was dressed in black trousers and a crisp white shirt, the first few buttons left undone. She could see the black sport coat he’d tossed over the banister as he waited. His hair was brushed, but the wolfish peaks that were his trademark remained. Ororo conceded the point to her teenage friends. His posture and that simple, sexy smirk were reminiscent of Gable in all his glory.

When she reached the bottom of the staircase, Logan took her hand, holding her out from his body. Obliging the giddy, feminine part of her that rarely saw daylight, she turned slowly, modeling her dress for her appreciative audience.

“You look…” he mumbled, leaning to whisper into her ear. “Stunning.”

“Ooh,” she trilled, pleasure bubbling in her chest. “You are already earning points, Logan.”

“I’ve always had this way with words,” he quipped, tucking her arm under his before collecting his coat.

He wrapped the thin white shawl she’d selected about her shoulders, then shrugged into his coat as Jubilee and Kitty appeared with Prita. The baby reached for Logan, whining until he plucked her from Kitty’s arms.

“Sorry, Princess,” he told her, returning her pout with one of his own. “Jus’ Mommy an’ me tonight. We’ll make it up to you tomorrow.”

Touched, Ororo watched as Logan brushed his nose over Prita’s in a form of an Eskimo kiss. Her daughter giggled lightly, turning to her mother for a kiss as well. Ororo cuddled the little darling close, kissing her cheek before Logan returned her to Kitty.

“Behave girls,” he said sternly, taking Ororo’s arm again. “Don’t you start corruptin’ the little one.”

“We’ll be fine,” Jubilee brushed him off. “Since the boys are playing poker, us girls are having a Keanu-DVD-a-thon.”

“Oh, God,” Logan groaned, ushering a laughing Ororo out of the hall and into the foyer. “Run, before they start cryin’.”

Ororo slid her hand to the crook of Logan’s arm, letting him lead her as they headed for the door. He looked so handsome, so unlike the man she’d originally seen him as. But there was something in his walk, the way his spine straightened that made this facet of him seem just as natural as any other.

The door opened before they reached it, allowing a grocery-bag laden Peter inside.

“Мой Боr,” he said quickly, holding the door for them. “You both look wonderful. Have a good time, eh?”

“You got it,” Logan pulled Ororo closer as they left the mansion.

For once in her life, she had a very good feeling about this.

~**~

It was nearing midnight by the time Logan and Ororo returned to the mansion. He jumped out of the car, rushing around to open her door. All through the evening, Logan treated her with more manners than she’d ever seen. Chairs were pulled out, doors opened…all those things Ororo felt the Feminist Movement had killed.

She offered him her hand to help her out of the car, standing a little closer than necessary. He gave her that heart-stopping smile, cupping her cheek with one of his impossibly strong hands.

Dinner was not so much a lavish affair as quiet and intimate. He’d made reservations at a small Indian bistro, securing them a table in the far corner. Under the scents of curries and spices, with dim candlelight to illuminate them, they talked for the first time about their two-year separation.

They traded stories about India and the school, laughing quietly at various anecdotes. Jean’s name popped up a time or two, and they would both lapse into silence before moving on. She thought, perhaps, Jean would always been a sore subject between them.

Though dinner had technically only taken a couple of hours, they shared cup after cup of potent coffee while talking in the quiet restaurant. Now, standing in front of the mansion, she wasn’t sure she wanted the night to end.

Holding on to Logan’s shoulder, she quickly removed her shoes, raising her brow at him.

“I think I would like to take a walk,” she offered quietly. “You?”

“Sounds like fun,” Logan nodded, kicking off his boots.

With each dangling their shoes in one hand, while grasping one another’s as they stepped onto the soft grass of the estate. They circled the mansion, which was still alive with activity even at this late hour. No one seemed to spot them, allowing the couple to reach the edge of the lake unhindered.

Logan was quiet, but when Ororo looked to his profile, she found that slight frown on his face that betrayed his thoughts. He was thinking of something, perhaps something he felt he needed to share with her. Whatever it was, she braced herself. This fairytale evening was something she did not want to end.

“You might hate me for bringin’ this up,” he began a moment later, the moonlight shadowing his frowning face. “But I have to say it.”

“What is it?” she questioned, dropping her gaze to the cool sand on the shore of the lake. They were leaving footprints in the wet sand, the feel of it reminding her that this was not a dream.

“That night,” he cleared his throat. “I wanted to come after you. I shoulda.”

She kept walking with him, digesting his words. It still stung, to think of that night. Ororo looked over to the silvery surface of the lake, not responding to him.

“We have to talk about it, ‘Ro,” Logan continued. “It’ll just fester if we don’t.”

Knowing he was right did not make it easier. She let her gaze drift to the hilltop where Jean rested, her eternal flame a mere pinprick of orange against the blue-black sky. Yes, they had to talk about it.

“Why did you wait?” she inquired softly.

“Dunno,” he said in that gruff voice. “Shame, maybe. I fucked up an’ I knew it. I spent that whole night practisin’ what I’d say to you.”

“I was hurt,” she admitted. “I felt I had betrayed Jean’s memory, and you, but it was so much easier to simply focus on the fact that you were envisioning her and not me. I used that betrayal so I would not have to think about mine.”

“I wasn’t envisionin’ her,” Logan’s voice was slightly defensive. “At least, not right at first.”

“It’s all right,” she said, squeezing his hand. “It was remarkably bad timing, on both our parts.”

Logan was quiet, turning his face toward the ripe and smiling moon. Ororo smiled at the expression of reverence reflected in the silver wash of moonlight.

“ Can we get past it, you think?”

“I am not sure,” Ororo admitted. “Would you like to?”

He nodded once, slowly, then stopped walking. Ororo pulled up short, noting they’d walked to the far bank of the lake, the mansion seeming so very tiny on the horizon. Logan stood in front of her, resting his forehead on hers.

“Yeah,” her date murmured against her lips. “I would. I’m in love with ya, ‘Ro. I’m sorry it took me so fuckin’ long to get here, but I am. I want ya, your bad temper, your stubborn heart, your daughter. All of it.”

Breathing was suddenly just not an option for her. She expected him to say something to the effect of “I think I love you”, but his honest speech made her knees knock together so hard, it was amazing she managed to stay upright. Somewhere, in the deepest, denied parts of her heart, she’d waited to hear him say that.

Blowing out a breath slowly, she fought the lump of emotion currently making it impossible to swallow. “Logan…”

“’Ro,” his hands took her face gently, as they had in the greenhouse. “It happened fast, I’ll admit that. But I’ve never been one for slow.”

“Just tell me,” he continued a beat later, his eyes locking with hers. “Still love me?”

Her head told her to say no, but her heart very quickly trampled the urge. It was impossible, insane, and impulsive…which is why she trusted what her heart was telling her. She did love him, perhaps more than was strictly rational. This man did things to her wounded heart that she would never be able to explain and he wanted her.

“Give me a chance to prove it,” he whispered again, making her aware that she’d been silent for some time.

Taking a deep breath, she threw caution to the wind and licked her parched lips. “I do love you, Logan.”

She wrapped her arms about his neck, dropping her shawl and shoes to the sand with his.

“If we kill each other within a month, I will blame you. Completely,” she teased, grinning when he lifted her off of her feet.

“No problem,” he chuckled, tossing her up so he could wrap his arms around her thighs, lifting her into the diamond-filled sky.

She raised her arms and tossed her head back, grinning when something in her chest grew warm, as a dragon made content by the satisfaction of being filled. Letting that telltale sting change her eyes to glowing white, she gathered a warm wind around them.

“Come fly with me,” she offered her grinning lover, as her mutation swept them into the sky.

“Anywhere,” he grunted, not releasing her, but burying his face in her silk-covered stomach. “Anytime.”

The winds carried her happiness through the grounds with aching tenderness, alerting all within the enormous house across the lake that their weather goddess was, at last, sated.

~**~

Ororo woke the following morning as sunlight poured in through the windows of her bedroom. A smile crossed her face when she noted the heavy, warm presence clutching her waist from behind. Logan’s soft snores told her he had not yet woken, so she brought the blankets up around her, snuggling closer against his protective embrace.

It was the first time she woke beside him without trepidation or panic. They’d remained out, flying together on her carefully controlled winds until dawn stained the horizon. She could not ever remember feeling so sated and calm in all her life. Logan had reveled in her mutation, commenting more than once that he’d never look at the moon the same way again.

She knew she should get up, at least to check on Prita, but the urge to just remain with Logan a moment or two more overrode her mind. With a glance to the monitor, hearing Prita rustle in her bed, she continued to just lie beside him.

They’d snuck back into the mansion by flying to her terrace and slipping in through the unlocked glass door. He’d gone to his room, changing into flannel pajama pants while she donned a thin white nightgown.

Lying awake in her bed, they’d talked until exhaustion overruled their desire to continue. Though they’d kissed more than once and let hands wander, they silently agreed to save lovemaking for another time. That was, she thought, how the trouble started, after all.

The pitter-patter of little feet made her startle, bringing the blankets down I search of the sleepy, dark head that was due to arrive in seconds. Ororo was unsure how Prita would react to seeing her mother in bed with a man, but she was loath to wake him.

Prita appeared through the door that joined their bedrooms, rubbing her tired eyes as she toddled on her chunky little legs. She stumbled on her way to her mother’s bed, making Ororo stretch a hand to steady her.

Whimpering sleepily, Prita held her arms out. Sitting up, shifting against Logan, Ororo scooped the baby up and deposited her into the body-warmed bed. Prita seemed to realize, at last, that Mommy was not alone and peeked over Ororo’s shoulder curiously.

A huge, gummy grin covered her lips. Paying no heed to her mother’s body, Prita scrambled over her and wedged between Logan and Ororo. The mother chuckled, giving her space and turning onto the opposite side so she faced her daughter and lover.

Prita plunked her head down on Logan’s pillow, taking her mother’s arm and wrapping it around her waist while she kissed Logan’s bearded cheek.

He woke with a start, blinking in a half-asleep daze.

“I’m dreamin’,” he whispered, voice heavy with sleep as he spotted Ororo and Prita. “This is a dream and I’ll wake up in a second.”

Grinning, Ororo reached over and pinched his arm roughly. “Wake up.”

“Ow, wench,” Logan grunted, dropping his head back to the pillow. “Hey, kid.”

Prita snuggled closer to him, cooing tiredly.

“If I’m not dreamin’, I’ve died and gone to heaven.”

“Sorry, but no,” Ororo whispered, not wanting to break this tender moment. “You are not rid of us so easily.”

Logan’s hand reached across the half-asleep baby to splay over Ororo’s hip. “I don’t wanna be rid of ya at all.”

“Stop it,” Ororo yawned, her heart clenching in her chest at his honest tone. “You will make me swoon.”

“Could be fun,” he remarked, flashing her a toothy grin.

“Perhaps,” she said primly, leaning down to kiss her daughter’s shoulder.

The trio lapsed into silence, Ororo and Logan staring down at the child nestled between them. Prita had a thumb in her mouth as she drifted back to sleep, her pouting lips parted so she could breathe deeply, safely snuggled between her favorite adults.

“How can somethin’ so small be so beautiful,” Logan commented after a moment of absolute silence.

“I have often wondered that,” Ororo replied, smiling when his eyes met hers.

“You plannin’ on havin’ some the old fashioned way?” One of his thick black brows raised as her heart began to pound again.

“Are you offering?” she quipped, wondering if he had thought about it.

Logan was quiet for a long time, one of enormous hands smoothing over Prita’s dark curls.

“I was plannin’ on convincin’ ya to marry me first.”

Ororo’s breath caught in her throat. He did not just say that. Her head was screaming that a conversation like this was meant to take place several months from now, perhaps even a year or two. But her heart shouted back that they had taken their sweet time getting here.

“Really?” she questioned when she regained control over her voice.

His eyes were open to her when their gazes locked again. “Yeah. Thought I’d give you some time to get used to the idea before I went an’ asked outright.”

Ororo shook her head, smiling faintly. “No one can ever accuse you of paying no attention to the future.”

“Hey, I already admitted I love you,” he said gruffly, before pausing to smile. “Gets easier every time I say that. Better get used to it.”

Her heart tripped again, but she returned the smile. “Oh, have no doubt that I will. You had best learn to live with my loving you.”

“It’ll be a real hardship.”

They were interrupted by the shrill ringing of the phone. Logan’s hand covered Prita’s ear, as though he were not keen on waking her. Ororo turned just enough to grasp the cordless receiver. After the third ring, she pressed the talk button and brought the earpiece to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Who’s callin’ at eight in the fuckin’ morning?” Logan growled softly.

Ororo flapped her hand at him, urging him to be quiet. “Hello?”

“Stormy?”

“Gambit?”

Her lover lifted his head, a frown on his face when Ororo sat up, blinking the remnants of her lazy wake up from her mind.

Oui,” her friend said. His voice was cheerful, and she could hear feminine laughter behind him. “Good morning, petite.”

“Remy, where are you? We have been worried sick!”

“Don’ worry none, mon chou,” he drawled. “Remy an’ Marie havin’ some fun is all.”

“Where are you? Is Marie all right?” Ororo questioned, easily capturing one of Logan’s hands as he reached for the telephone.

“Fine, fine, Stormy,” Gambit continued. “Jus’ callin’ ta say we doin’ all right. Rogue lovin’ de Bayou.”

“Louisiana?” Storm rolled her eyes. “I should have known.”

“Dat right, ‘Roro shoula,” Gambit chuckled. “’ang on, Rogue wan’ talk to ya.”

She heard several clicks, as though someone were hanging the receiver off to another. A beat later, Marie’s youthful, vibrant voice came through the phone.

“Storm?” she giggled. “Yah doin’ all right?”

“Yes, fine,” Ororo sighed, relieved. “You?”

“Ah’m doin’ betta,” the girl said cheerily. “How’s Logan?”

“Ask him yourself,” Ororo took the phone from her ear and handed it to Logan. “It’s Rogue.”

“Marie?” Logan asked quietly once the phone was at his ear. “You scared the sh”crap out of me.”

Ororo could not hear the girl’s response, but Logan chuckled. She laid her head back on the pillow beside Prita as Logan spoke to his friend. He reached down with his free hand as he settled against the headboard, his chest bared when the blankets shifted to fall into his lap. Ororo raised her hand, linking their fingers together.

How had they come so far so quickly? Logan’s need for physical contact brought a smile to his face as his thumb smoothed over her knuckles tenderly. For once in her life, she did not want to question this. Her head and heart were silent, letting her enjoy the moment. Perhaps this would blow up in her face, but by the Goddess herself, she would relish this.

Logan clicked the phone off a moment later, letting it fall to the floor as he scooted back down to lie with his girls.

“They sound fine,” he commented quietly.

“Yes,” she agreed in a similar tone. “Did they promise to call again?”

“Couple of days,” he nodded. “Sounds like their on a boat or somethin’, I could hear water in the distance.”

“The Renegade,” Ororo supplied, wondering why she’d not thought of it before. “It’s a rebuilt steamer turned casino and hotel. Gambit loves that blasted thing.”

Logan’s brow raised in obvious amusement. “Don’t like boats?”

She narrowed her eyes playfully. “Sea sickness.”

For some reason, that made him grin. He shook his head, glancing back down at Prita as she slept peacefully between them.

“I’ve got an idea.”

“Will it require heavy ammunition and a snake-bite kit?” she teased.

“You makin’ fun of me, woman?”

“Of course not,” she batted her eyelashes innocently. “What is this idea?”

Logan reached over to smack her backside gently. “Lets drag our butts outta bed, have some breakfast an’ take Prita here to the zoo.”

Confused, though his idea had merit. A day as a trio would be a fitting continuation on this warm, sated feeling she seemed trapped in. “The zoo?”

“Yeah,” he shrugged, kissing the baby’s temple. “I wanna show her a real elephant.”

Touched, Ororo nodded instantly. “I do believe I like that idea. We will tell Charles we require a day off.”

They managed to rouse Prita a few minutes later, parting to get themselves ready for a day out. Ororo could not help thinking of Logan’s question, his admission that he would one day ask her to be his wife. An ache in the pit of her stomach told her how much she enjoyed that idea. First, she would learn how to be with him on a regular basis, and then she would concentrate on giving him a family, should he want it.
13. Time by Gaineewop


Chapter Thirteen: Time

Better than I was, more than I am
And all of this happened, by takin' your hand
And who I am now is who I wanted to be
And now that we're together
I'm stronger than ever
I'm happy and free
~Tim McGraw & Faith Hill


He would never tire of kissing her.

She sat upon the top of a picnic table, her feet on the bench, with him sitting between them. This put her in perfect range for innocently traveling hands and slow, burning kisses that made his toes curl in his boots.

The summer heat had nothing to do with the couple locked together, though he was slightly concerned that the world could end and neither of them would notice. It was a simple, pure pleasure to hold her this way. There was no room for doubt, no reason for them to part while her daughter slept peacefully in the stroller.

If he wasn’t careful, this kind of unbridled happiness was likely to become habit. For some reason, he wasn’t certain that was a bad thing.

Logan smiled against Ororo’s lips, dimly wondering if it was entirely healthy to focus so much on one part of her. They were full, pouting from his kisses and blissfully unpainted. He could lose himself, all sense of time, in those kisses.

He felt her hands on his shoulders, those long, delicate fingers gently kneading his flesh through the thin material of his t-shirt. The modest hem of her skirt slid a little higher when his hands gripped her bare knees. She chuckled against his mouth, making his smile widen.

Yes, he would never tire of kissing this woman, of loving her, of simply being in her arms.

“Logan?” Ororo’s voice was muffled by his lips. For some reason, that made his masculine need to dominate very happy.

“Yeah, darlin’?” He kissed her again, unable to help himself.

“There are people staring at us,” she breathed, her voice a husky whisper that he definitely wanted to hear in a more private setting.

“Starin’ at you, maybe,” he took her mouth fully, then pulled back to nuzzle her nose with his. “Wonderin’ what you’re doin’ with this old man.”

“Mmm,” she hummed, smacking her lips. “It could be the opposite.”

“Unlikely,” Logan smirked, kissing the tip of her nose, her closed eyelids, her cheeks.

“Or, perhaps, they are thinking that we look wonderful together.”

“I like that one,” he pulled back a little, peeking into Prita’s stroller where the sleeping child lay. “Still out like a light.”

“Well,” Ororo wound a lock of his hair around her finger. “We have had quite a day.”

Logan slid his hands up Ororo’s thighs, careful to keep her skirt in tact, so he could grab her hips, hauling her a little closer.

“Yeah, fun though,” he practically growled, wondering how long he could keep this up before he exploded. “God, yer lips are fantastic. Have I mentioned that?”

“No,” she answered, grinning against his lips. “But I do love compliments.”

“Ask an' ye shall receive.”

He wrapped her back into a kiss, heedless to the Saturday crowds moving through the open courtyard of the zoo’s restaurant area. He’d never pegged Ororo for the public displays of affection type, but then neither was he. It was almost as though they were trying to make up for lost time.

Everything that kept them apart suddenly seemed so small. This feeling in his chest, that warm, fuzzy feeling felt something like home. They’d spent the entire morning showing Prita the wonders of the zoo. They’d only seen half of the area before breaking for lunch. When she woke from her nap, they would continue.

Waking with them both beside him was possibly the best thing he’d ever seen. Ororo’s smile and Prita’s kiss were how he wanted to wake up for the rest of his life. He’d been honest when telling his lover that he planned on marrying her. Hell, he planned on more than that. He wanted everything with her. This dwarfed anything he’d ever wanted from Jean a million times.

It was overwhelming. He felt as though everything in his life was pointing to her, only he’d been too idiot to see it right away. He wouldn’t make that mistake again. Ororo was going to be with him for whatever remained of their lives.

Maybe they’d even get to give Prita a sibling or four. Just the image of Ororo swollen with his child was enough to make his heart hurt. She’d be beautiful. First, of course, he had to convince her to marry him. For some reason, he didn’t think it would take much.

He was moving fast and thinking even faster, but there was a terrible ache in his chest, a self-hatred for taking so long to realize she was all he could want. Suddenly, with three little words spoken in honesty, he was sated. All traces of wanderlust and pain were gone with her in his arms.

Prita began to whimper a moment later, breaking Logan and Ororo apart. He noticed her little fists out of the cover of her stroller, as though she were stretching. Ororo grinned, reaching around him to remove the cover.

“Good morning, precious,” she cooed at the little girl.

Prita gifted them with a sleepy grin. Logan, not moving from his comfortable position on the bench, fished through the diaper bag. Once he located the baby’s sipping cup, he handed it to her with a smile.

“Hey, Princess,” he greeted. “Have a drink an’ we’ll go see the lions and tigers and bears.”

“Oh, my,” Ororo chimed in, earning a light swat on the bottom.

“Behave, Mamma,” Logan growled, taking another swift kiss from her lips.

“Or what?” she teased, raising a thin white brow.

“You’ll see,” he threatened, trying to keep away the x-rated images floating through his mind.

“Mmm,” she hummed, winking at him.

They hopped off of the table, gathering Prita’s things quickly. When she fussed to be released from the stroller, Logan scooped her up, placing her on her feet. Cup in hand, Prita toddled along beside him, clutching his hand.

Logan entwined his fingers with Ororo’s, making her push the stroller one-handed. It was domestic, sweet, something that would have made him sick just a year ago. This change come over him was so shocking, he almost wondered if he’d wandered into another dimension.

But no, he mused. It was just her. She just did something to him that no one else on the face of the Earth could ever boast. This beautiful weather goddess had tamed the beast within him. Sated, satisfied and completely insane over this woman, Logan knew his life would never be the same.

Good, he thought quickly as they came to the tiger paddock. Cause I don’t want the old Wolverine back.

“Ooh, Prita, look!” Ororo gushed, stopping the stroller.

Logan removed his hand from his love’s, squeezing it before releasing her. He took Prita into his arms, leaning on the fence of the paddock and pointing to the great Bengal tiger lounging in the warm sun.

“He’s gorgeous,” Logan grinned, adjusting Prita on his hip so he could wrap an arm around Ororo’s shoulders.

Prita squealed, holding her juice cup in her mouth by clenching tiny teeth on the spout. She clapped wildly, trying to call the tiger toward her. She babbled a mile a minute when the beautiful striped creature stood, stretching and yawning.

“Hey, sweetheart, he ain’t a kitty cat,” Logan chuckled. “Look, there’s the mama tiger.”

“And cubs,” Ororo gave him a sidelong look. “How adorable.”

“Yeah,” Logan adjusted Prita again. “Too bad that mamma an’ daddy could rip both our throats out for just lookin’ at baby wrong.”

“Yes,” Ororo’s voice was thoughtful. “But I believe that is true of any parent.”

“Maybe yer right,” he agreed, looking at Prita’s beautiful face. “Any case, I’d probably fight the devil himself he came near this one.”

He was rewarded by Ororo kissing his cheek. She snuggled in closer to him as they watched the tiger family romp in the sunlight.

“You worry about it?” he asked suddenly, touching his forehead to Prita’s cheek. “Bout her bein’ a mutant?”

Ororo was quiet for a moment, and then he felt her shrug her shoulders.

“I think about it and I wonder,” she answered quietly. “But I do not worry. Even if something were to happen to me, she would still have those around her “ you for example “ to help her through it.”

“Yeah,” he agreed, squeezing her shoulders. “But nothin’s gonna happen to ya, darlin’.”

“Let us see if the polar bears are out,” she said suddenly, stepping away from his grasp.

Concerned, he glanced at Prita. It may have been his mind playing tricks, but he could have sworn the child shrugged at him, as though her mother’s behavior seemed odd to her as well.

They moved at a lazy pace through the zoo grounds, stopping whenever they saw something that caught their eye. They took a train ride toward the end of the afternoon, letting Prita doze on Logan’s lap while they enjoyed the rest.

Ororo seemed oddly quiet, which sent up little red flags in Logan’s mind. For Prita’s sake, he kept a lid on his curiosity, inwardly vowing to question his love when they were alone and out of the child’s earshot. It wouldn’t do for her to see them arguing again. Last time left him with enough guilt.

The white-haired woman seemed to perk up as they began to wind the trip down. Logan took a quick jaunt into the reptile house with Prita, leaving severely claustrophobic Ororo outside on the benches.

Prita giggled hysterically at the massive snakes and lizards, Logan had to keep her from banging on the glass. One peculiar python even rose up to look at the grinning child, touching his blunt nose to the glass as though in greeting.

Logan began to wonder at the girl at that point. Perhaps she would be a mutant with some sort of reptilian power. That would be interesting, considering the mansion already housed it’s own personal amphibian.

When they left the reptile house, Prita was on Logan’s shoulders, babbling about something while using his hair for a handlebar. He laughed up at her, glancing around a beat later to find Ororo.

She was sitting on the bench, looking serene and beautiful with her face turned up to the sun. As though she sensed them, her striking eyes found the man and child moving toward her, a bright smile breaking out on that perfect face.

“How was it?” Ororo asked as Logan settled Prita back into the stroller and gave her mother a kiss on the lips.

“Yer girl here has a thing for creepy-crawlies, as Rogue calls them.”

“Oh dear,” she laughed, pushing the baby toward the zoo exit.

“Hey, could be worse,” he flashed her a smile, wrapping an arm over her shoulders. “She could be just like me.”

“Hrmm,” Ororo glanced at him. “There are worse things than even that.”

“Yep,” he said, pulling her close enough to kiss that crop of white hair. “I’m keepin’ you around indefinitely.”

“Oh, good,” she retorted sweetly. “As I am not planning on going anywhere.”

~**~

When the trio arrived back home, everything was still standing. Slightly surprised that their world had not yet imploded, Logan kept close to Prita and Ororo for the remainder of the day.

During the baby’s afternoon nap, Wolverine and Storm got in a couple of training hours in the Danger Room. It was interesting, fighting beside her now. They moved fluidly, as one unit, and dispatched a group of renegade mutants with little problem. After their workout, they took a walk around the lake with Prita.

He’d spent a full 24 hours with the two of them and had absolutely no problem spending a lot more time with his girls. They ate dinner with the family, paying absolutely no attention to the lingering stares from their friends as they sat together and took turns feeding the baby.

With a heavy heart, Logan parted with the girls when they headed up to bathe and ready for bed. He stayed behind to ensure Scott was all right with the new term schedule. Students would be arriving in two weeks. Just enough time for Kitty and Peter to tie the knot. The couple set a date for next Sunday, which was a relief to everyone.

Ororo and Prita both gave him a quick kiss, the elder female’s lingering stare telling him he was to come up at some point during the night. Logan had to hold back a growl. He wanted her so badly his teeth were starting to hurt from clenching his jaw.

“Ok,” Cyclops said the instant mother and baby were out of earshot. “I’m guessing the date went well?”

Logan could not, even if he’d wanted to try, keep the grin from spreading over his face. He probably looked ridiculous, but after the day he had, there was no stopping it. For the first time in what life he could remember, he was happy.

“Wow,” Scott sat back in his chair, shaking his head. “You’ve got it bad, man.”

“Yeah, I think so,” Logan agreed. “It’s…shit, I don’t know.”

He flattened his palm against his chest, thinking on how best he could explain what was going on inside of him. So many feelings mingled and danced together that it was impossible to decipher one from the other.

“It’s like falling,” Cyclops said with a small smile. “Falling and spinning into eternity. You should be afraid, but you’re not. Because someone else is there to experience it with you. Everything is on fire and placid at the same time. What was up is down, and it all makes such perfect sense and complete gibberish at the same time.”

Surprised, Logan looked up to his friend. Scott’s face was flushed, the slight crimp to his chin betraying what was going on behind ruby-quartz lenses.

“Yeah,” he agreed in a soft tone. “Just like that.”

“It doesn’t go away, you know,” Scott continued. “You’ll always feel it, even if you aren’t together and you move on. It’s still there. For awhile it’s painful, but after some time passes, that old feeling becomes soothing, even if you know you’ll never find someone else that does it. Enjoy it, Logan. It’s the best damn high there is, being in love like that.”

It was in that moment that Logan finally understood Scott and Jean. He imagined, just for a moment, how he would react if someone showed up and immediately decided to make a play for Ororo. He’d be jealous, angry, and completely irrational with dislike for that person. If Scott felt even half of what Logan did at this moment, it was amazing they’d never come to blows over Jean.

Logan looked at his friend, wondering how he could have been such an ass about the entire thing for so long. With Jean, Logan hadn’t really felt this. She was kind and sweet, beautiful and woke up something inside of him. But with ‘Ro, this was something so much deeper, so powerful he couldn’t believe he’d mistaken lust for love before.

Clearing his throat, Logan met the ruby gaze of his friend. “I didn’t know.”

Scott shrugged his shoulders, giving the other mutant a half-smile. “Now you do. And I’m glad. Everyone should feel it.”

“It’s overwhelming,” he said, shaking his head. “I’m surprised you didn’t rip my head off the day we met.”

“Oh, I wanted to,” Scott smirked. “But Jean always had issues with me killing people.”

They shared a laugh at that.

“Tell me something, man,” Logan asked quietly. “Better to have loved and lost than not at all?”

Scott was quiet, obviously pondering his answer for several seconds. Logan looked at him with genuine curiosity. How had Scott managed to keep living when Jean was taken from him? Logan was just beginning to understand the nature of love and he didn’t think he’d make it two days without ‘Ro.

“Yeah,” his friend said softly. “I would have rather had one day with her, one kiss, one embrace than gone a lifetime without knowing what it was to be truly loved.”

Logan sat in silence for a moment, wondering if that held true for himself. If he lost her…

Then it hit him. He looked down at his hands, which seemed youthful for his age. They knew now that he was over one hundred years old. Even if ‘Ro spent the rest of her life with him, there was the very real possibility that he would outlive her. By decades.

Looking up at Scott, he saw the sudden understanding in his friend’s expression.

“God,” he said in a pained tone. “No matter what happens…”

“I’ll end up alone,” he finished. “For a long fuckin’ time.”

“Logan…”

“It’s all right,” he cut his friend off. “I’d rather have the next forty or fifty years with her, storin’ up memories. Cause if I don’t, I’ll be alone and an even more miserable bastard.”

His friend cracked a grin at him, though Logan could see he still felt for the unique situation Wolverine found himself in.

“Go on,” Cyke said nodding toward the stairs. “I wouldn’t blame you if you spend every single moment you can with her.”

“Thanks, bub,” Logan jumped up and patted his friend on the shoulder.

“Anytime, man.”

~**~

Ororo’s nimble fingers stroked his hair in that soothing manner with which she did everything. He’d been unable to avoid her penetrating gaze and stubborn questions after he’d interrupted Prita’s bath to give her a passionate kiss.

After explaining his realization, she’d tucked Prita into bed and insisted he lay with her on the bed they’d woken up in. She kept her hands on him, silent for a long time as she thought about what he’d said. Logan could only hope and pray she lived to a ripe old age, so his time without her would be as long as possible.

“Logan?”

When she spoke, he looked up at her from where she cradled his head on her smooth belly.

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

He gave her a small smile. “Say it again.”

“I love you,” Ororo repeated. “I love you, Logan.”

“Don’t ever stop,” he said through the thick lump in his throat. “Keep sayin’ it.”

“We are both being terribly morbid,” she observed, leaning down to kiss his lips. “I do not plan on leaving for at least several more decades.”

“I know,” he nodded. “And I’ll be there for every day of those decades.”

Logan flipped over onto his stomach, looking up into her beautiful face as dusk light poured through the open windows. She reached for him, touching his whiskered cheek in the growing darkness.

Slowly, almost reverently, Logan dropped a kiss onto her satin-covered belly. Her sleeping gown was of a pale blue, the teeny straps almost invisible on her shoulders. The neckline plunged, giving him a delightful view.

He splayed his hands over her hips, concentrating slow kisses on her belly. His sensitive hearing picked up the sudden acceleration of her heart as a warm breeze swept through the windows. Ororo’s body undulated gently, her flesh sliding effortlessly under the pale satin.

Logan inhaled deeply of that honey-rain scent, letting it light the fire in his blood. Her panting breath stoked that fire, making his veins scream with want. ‘Ro’s legs parted a little, making his hands wander toward them. He caught her under the knees, tugging her down so he could trail kisses over the ripple of her ribcage.

He gathered the material of her nightgown as he dragged his hands upward, taking the satin with him. She sat up slightly, helping him divest her of the thin garment. ‘Ro pulled his shirt over his head and it too found a new home on the floor.

When Logan’s lips reached ‘Ro’s, she slid her hands down his torso, making him shiver under her touch. She hooked her thumbs under the elastic band of his pajama bottoms, sliding the material over his hips. With her feet as helpers, she tugged the article of clothing down until he could kick it off completely.

“’Ro…” he groaned her name, feeling that wealth of hot flesh against his.

“Logan,” she whimpered in reply.

There was an aching need inside of him, one that would no longer be denied. Twice they’d spent a night in one another’s arms, and he’d never felt this before. There was passion in the last times, but never this need.

He wanted. The want lived so deeply inside of him he was unable to truly understand it. He wanted to taste her, to taste the soft flesh of he throat, to kiss the round tops of her perfect breasts, to caress the long, lean line of her.

She writhed beneath him, soft mewling sounds of pleasure leaving those full lips. Logan took her mouth with his, letting his hands drift over that lovely skin. Ororo kept her own hands moving over him with the same needy passion. He could feel it in her; in the way those delicate fingers kneaded his bare skin.

His love’s legs shifted against his, he could feel those endless limbs stroking his calves, one hooking around his waist. One of his hands fell between their bodies, parting the moist, wet center of her. Logan groaned against her lips, sliding a finger inside her.

‘Ro’s hips arched up from the bed, dragging him deeper. His arousal rested against the flesh of her thigh, begging for the attention his hand received so easily. Logan’s lips left hers, kissing her forehead gently.

“I wanna worship you,” he whispered.

“I am not stopping you,” she replied, her hips rocking into his hand.

Logan shifted in the cradle of her thighs. His hand moved from her core to her hand, entwining her fingers tightly with his. She repeated that simple, intimate action with their free hands, making him rest more of his weight on her.

He entered her slowly, his breath rushing from his lungs with every languid inch. Her receptive body drew him closer as her legs wrapped around his until their feet met. She was heaven and earth in one perfect package, the serene pleasure of joining with the keeper of his heart was enough to convince him that God did exist.

There was no sound in the room, save for that warm, swift breeze and their ragged breathing. Their eyes locked, emotion surging through them both that he would never be able to name. Her mouth opened in a half-groan and he captured her lips with his.

Their hips rocked in timeless unison, a dance so primitive it called to the beast and man within him. ‘Ro’s face was wet with tears, but he knew the true nature of them. There was no pain, no betrayal between them now, only the sweet, exquisite love that burned so hot between them.

Logan’s hands gripped hers so tightly he wondered if he was hurting her. She seemed to not notice it, for her grip was just as strong.

The worship of his goddess was a languorous lovemaking. He felt as though his flesh were on fire, his blood boiling in his veins. She whimpered beneath him, a croon that could have been his name caught in her throat.

When his lips left hers, she dropped her head back against the pillow. He pressed his forehead to her cheek, listening to her labored breathing and the pound of the heart he knew belonged to him.

“I love you,” she whispered as their bodies met and retreated only to meld together again.

“I love you,” he replied, thrusting his hips to bury himself inside of her again.

One pair of clutching hands broke apart. Hers went to his back, scratching him in a way that spurred him on. His fell to her breasts, cupping one and then the other so that she arched her body into him again.

He wanted her closer. Quickly, he released her other hand, wrapping his arms under her back. She whimpered when he drew her up to his chest. Logan sat back on his calves, pulling her into his lap. Immediately, her slender arms went around his neck and she lifted herself up.

A steady, languid pace was set between them. With every thrust, Logan aided her, lifting that beautiful body before letting her drop back down. They were reduced to soft, pleading whimpers and moans, most of it unintelligible save whispered of each other’s names.

Logan had known passion and lust in his life, but making love with someone in this way was something completely new to him. There was something in this woman that made him weak and strong at the same time. He loved her and by God, he would have whatever time he could with her.

Slowly, that same indolent burn inside of him clenched in his stomach. ‘Ro’s eyes met his, her body quivering around him. Buried inside of her, his hands smoothed up her back until he could bury them in her hair. They were pressed together until he couldn’t decide where he ended and she began.

And he never, ever wanted to.

Climax found him by surprise, his body and mind blanking out as impossibly heated pleasure washed over him. Ororo covered his mouth with hers, the tensing of her body telling him that she was as overcome as he.

Panting, crashing back down to the Earth with her in his arms, Logan met those clear blue eyes. ‘Ro was smiling at him, her serenity seeming to come from within. Her hair mussed, face flushed, she traced the lines of his face with a delicate fingertip.

“Marry me.”

Surprised, though his sex-muddled brain did not register it as surprise but relief, Logan inhaled deeply, capturing the scents of honey, rain, and them saturating the room.

“Yeah.”

~**~

Logan speaks:

A lot of people say love isn’t like movies. There’s no swelling music at the first kiss, no angels singing or shit like that. Well, I say bullshit.

That night with ‘Ro was somethin’ out of poetry. I still can’t think about it without remembering how flawless an’ damn near religious that experience was. That’s what happened that night, I think. ‘Ro became my religion.

I loved her an’ even though I knew I’d spend my last years without her, should we both live to old age. Scott was right, it’s better to have loved and lost. I know that for a damn fact.

She asked me to marry her, and I thought it would take a lot more convincin’. There wasn’t a reason for me to say no. I wanted her. I needed her. I loved her. Still do, come to that. I made a decision that night that I wouldn’t let the lonesome future ruin what I had. I’d live it day to day, hopin’ I’d never have to live it.

As it is, I had 57 fuckin’ fantastic years. But, there I go again, gettin’ ahead of myself.

We spent that night lyin’ awake, both laughin’ at how fuckin’ insane we were, wantin’ to get married so fast. Didn’t seem to matter, we were both damn stubborn about it. I wanted the whole damn world to know she was mine.

Course, before we could do anythin’, we got a frantic call from the Renegade.
14. Renegade by Gaineewop


Chapter Fourteen: The Renegade

I never knew that I could feel like this
Can hardly wait til our next kiss
You’re so cool
And if I’m dreamin’ please don’t wake me up
Cause, baby, I can’t get enough
Of what you do
~Martina McBride


Ororo speaks:

I have never been particularly impulsive. In fact, for most of my adult life, I prided myself for being the rational and calm one. I never ran out in the middle of the night to do much of anything. Actually, I believe my first impulsive decision was made with Logan.

I am quite happy to say my last was as well.

That night so much changed between Logan and I. I never told him, but during that zoo trip I actually realized he would outlive me. My quietness had come from the knowledge that even if I spent the rest of my life in his arms, he would die alone. A sobering thought.

It really did not matter, though. I was in love, truly and completely, for the first time in my thirty-one years. Asking him to marry me was impulsive, but one of the best impulses I have ever had. My love for Logan was all consuming, even more so after we made love that night. Though I spent countless times in the throes of passion with him, that single instance reigns supreme in my mind.

As it does, though, reality came crashing down around our budding family’s new cocoon. Logan and I were…exploring the finer points of becoming a couple when the call came. Once again, I had to rush into the Bayou in search of my friend.


~**~

“Logan!” Ororo’s laughter was muffled in the early morning light, fearful of waking Prita too early.

She felt him smirk against her thigh, the bulging duvet shifted as he did. Ororo’s naughty grin was not visible to her playmate, but she waited with bated breath as he sniffed his way up her legs. Every touch further fueled the flames of desire he seemed keen on keeping carefully stoked at all times.

He growled playfully from under the sheets, one of his hands suddenly on her bare ribcage. She squealed with laughter as he tickled her.

“Shush, woman!” he whispered hoarsely. “You’ll wake the munchkin an’ then fun’s over!”

Clapping a hand over her mouth, she tried desperately to calm herself. It was not really an option when Logan’s full attention was on her like this. He was an attentive and seemingly insatiable lover. Ororo was quite sure she knew exactly how his hands and mouth and body felt against every inch of her skin. She would never tire of the sensation.

The phone rang.

Groans came from above and below the comforter.

“Don’t answer it.” Logan whispered conspiratorially, pulling the duvet down so he could see her face.

“I have to,” she replied, grabbing for the cordless receiver.

Logan caught her wrist in his hand and tried to pry the phone from her grasp. Laughing still, Ororo fought with him, attempting to regain control to no avail. They were both giddy from an excess of emotion and sexual bliss, so neither was truly on top of their game.

Finally, Logan distracted Ororo with one of those toe-curling kisses and he won their impromptu tussle. He smirked at her, pressing the cordless to his ear.

“Somebody better be dead or dyin’,” he growled into the receiver.

Something or someone immediately wiped the grin from Logan’s face. He thrust the phone to her, leaving Ororo to place it at her ear while he all but jumped out of her bed. Naked as the day he was born, he began pulling his clothing on.

“Hello?”

“Oh, thank God!”

“Rogue?”

Worried at the obvious tears and strain in her voice, Ororo sat bolt upright, frowning. Logan was attempting to put her shirt on instead of his, so she waved at him, pointing to the sweat-scented shirt hanging on the bedpost.

“Ah’m in trouble,” the Southern girl was saying. “They…They came inta the room an’ took him. Ah couldn’t do anythin’!”

“Rogue, calm down, mon chou,” Ororo said using one of Gambit’s frequent endearments.

“Yah don’ understan’, Storm!” Rogue’s voice was high pitched with panic. “Ah don’t know who they were or where they took him! We’re on a boat for cryin’ out loud!”

Thinking fast, Ororo closed her eyes. Gambit’s easy return to New York was strange, as she’d told Logan. But had he given her any indication to why? Flipping through various scenarios in her head, she heard Prita cry.

Her lover immediately went into the adjoining room, leaving Storm to contemplate.

“Rogue, listen to me,” she said as calmly as she could. “The men that took Gambit, did they have tattoos on their hands?”

Silence.

“Yeah!” Rogue said suddenly as though a light bulb had lit up over her head. “A little dagger makin’ the bridge of an “A”.”

“Assassins,” Ororo spat the word distastefully. “Why did they leave you?”

Her young friend sniffled audibly. “Gambit saw ‘em comin’, he hid me in the air vent. He told me that Ah had ta call ya if somethin’ happened ta him.”

“All right, breathe Rogue.”

Logan reappeared with Prita in his arms a moment later, looking at her worriedly. All of the lazy, playfulness was gone from the room, which she grieved for. Something like this was always bound to happen to them. For the first time, Ororo did not think their lives were fair.

“What do Ah do?”

“Is the captain of the Renegade still Mr. Ely Yoemen?”

“Yeah, Ah think so.”

“Go to the Captain, tell him that Rory Munroe will rendezvous with the ship in a few hours to intercept the Assassins,” Ororo ordered the girl crisply. “He will protect you. Stay on the ship, do you understand me?”

“Yeah, Ah understan’.” Rogue’s voice was teary, making Ororo’s heart ache.

“Do not fret, my girl,” she soothed. “Wolverine and I will be there soon. We will find Gambit.”

“A-All right. Ah’ll be here.”

The girl cut the connection abruptly. Storm turned the phone off, bringing it down from her ear. Staring at it, anger built so swiftly inside her she tossed the receiver across the room, making it smash the gilded mirror over her dresser. Glass and plastic shattered as one, making Logan step back, protectively covering Prita with one arm.

“What in the name of hel”heck is goin’ on?”

Storm gathered the bed sheets around her nude body, moving to her family. She kissed Prita’s confused face softly, then met Logan’s eyes.

“We must arrange for the others to look after our daughter,” she said quietly. “We must go to Louisiana.”

He was quiet for a moment, his lips brushing Prita’s temple. “You said ‘our’ daughter.”

A little surprised by the slip up, Ororo smiled bashfully. When she met his eyes again, she nodded slowly.

“She is,” Ororo whispered. “Perhaps not by blood, but she is your daughter as much as mine in every way that matters.”

The look that crossed Logan’s handsome face was one she would never be able to name. Such tenderness and love would have seemed impossible to her just months ago. Now she wondered how she could have missed such a thing for so long.

“Yeah,” he whispered softly a moment later. “I’m definitely marryin’ ya, makin’ her mine by law.”

Ororo leaned up to kiss his lips, a sweet, chaste kiss that made her smile through the worry and fear creeping into her heart.

“Then we had best recover Gambit quickly.”

~**~

“The Assassins are another branch of organized crime in the Bayou,” Storm briefed her lover as they soared above the clouds in a smaller version of the X-Men’s jet.

“The Thieves Guild and the Assassins Guild are ancient blood enemies,” she continued as he piloted. “Remy was adopted by the leader of the Thieves Guild and he swiftly discovered he had a knack for the art of theft. When Remy and I became friends some years ago, I was inducted into the Guild as well.”

“So, why do ya think they took Gumbo?” Wolverine questioned, making some small correction in their path.

Offended, Ororo crossed her arms under her breasts and glared at him. “Gumbo?”

Wolverine glanced at her, shrugging one shoulder. “I can’t just say “Cajun”, cause we’re dealin’ with a ton of ‘em.”

“I do not find it humorous,” she said tartly.

“Well, let’s ask Gumbo what he thinks when we find him.”

Annoyed, Ororo shook her head and continued. “There could be many reasons why the Assassins want Gambit. He has crossed paths with them more times than I can count. Hrmm. I wonder if they ever rescinded the price on my head.”

“You have a price on yer head?” Logan asked, turning toward her.

Storm shrugged, she’d not thought about that in a long time. “I did. Gambit and I stole a very rare jewel from the leader of the Assassins Guild. Actually, it was a brilliant theft. Not many could have come away from it as Remy and I did. I believe the art of the theft was what annoyed the Assassins so.”

“My future wife is a fugitive from justice,” he said somewhat proudly.

“Logan,” she chided half-heartedly. “As I said, it could be payback, Gambit could have a hefty ransom on his head or perhaps they want him as blackmail for Papa Jean.”

“Papa who?”

“Oh,” Storm shook her head, reminding herself that Logan was largely in the dark about this aspect of her past. “Jean-Luc LeBeau, Remy’s adoptive and my surrogate father. The leader of the Thieves Guild. A powerful man on the Bayou.”

“Great,” Logan all but snarled. “So, what’s the plan, Rory?”

Snorting at his use of her former alias, Ororo checked the navigation equipment. “First we locate and recover Rogue. Then, I will see Papa Jean. He will have information for us.”

“Sounds like fun,” her love said before launching into a hummed rendition of “Down on the Bayou”.

Ororo restrained herself from smacking him only because he gave her a very teasing grin as she tried to remain cross with him. It had been years since she’d left New Orleans. She wondered if things would be similar to the way she had left them. Would Papa Jean even recognize her now?

What would they say about Logan?

Many of her old friends were told about the X-Men, or at least something close. They knew Ororo or Rory worked for good people up north. Papa Jean had a standing policy that she was to be treated as a Thief at all times, protected as one of their own. She knew, without a doubt, that something large was happening in Louisiana. One did not abduct Remy LeBeau without knowing the consequences.

Her heart ached a little, leaving Prita behind just a few hours ago. Cyclops and Renee would remain at the mansion caring for the child, with Jubilee and Kitty helping. Both girls had requested to come along, but the Bayou was Ororo’s territory. She could navigate and investigate much more easily with just two of her companions.

Logan would be brought into the fold by proxy as Ororo’s fiancé; Rogue had likely already met several of Remy’s friends and therefore would be associated with him. The others would take more time to gain the trust of Papa Jean and the Guild. Time, she felt, they did not have.

“We’re comin’ up on the landin’ site,” Wolverine said a moment later. “Gonna set us down an’ you can fly us to the boat.”

“Fine,” she nodded, unhooking her harness as Logan put the small jet down.

The private estate where they landed was Guild property, used for various types of smuggling and illegal activities. A brief call to the LeBeau estate had gotten her clearance to house the jet there, and as a personal favor, no greeting party was sent.

It took only a few moments for the couple to leave the jet. They were not dressed in uniforms, but civilian clothing that befitted their “rank”. Logan, as usual, donned jeans and a t-shirt topping it all off with a beaten bomber jacket, boots and a Stetson.

Ororo, however, had to slip into her part as Rory. When Logan first glimpsed her tight leather pants, cleavage-heavy black top and sweeping black duster, he’d made them both quite late. She still wanted to giggle when remembering his wide-eyed, mouth-agape look of shock.

“Ship should be just a mile or so due west,” Logan said, adjusting his hat.

“All right,” she nodded once he’d locked the jet. “Are you prepared?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

A sharp sting behind her eyes turned them from blue to white as she gathered a gentle, slightly humid wind to carry them toward the water. Logan seemed relaxed, letting her control the situation as he held on to his Stetson. He might forgive her for dropping him into the Bayou, but heaven help her if he lost his favorite hat.

Together they flew over the lush swamps and green water that signified this area of the country. Ororo let herself breathe deeply of the familiar scents of home, noting that Logan seemed to be sneezing quite a bit.

“Is something the matter?” she called to him over the winds.

“Too many damned smells. I wanna scratch my damn nose off.”

She laughed a little, adjusting the winds so that scent drifted away from them. His thankful smile was returned by a kiss blown his way.

They found the ship steaming along the between the wide banks of the Bayou. Ororo set them down on the rooftop, noting that someone had the foresight to ensure the top level was completely cleared. She gently deposited her lover before landing beside him.

“Ok,” Logan said, smoothing his hair. “Where’s Rogue?”

“Here,” she said, punching in a code on a keypad by a thick metal door. “Ely is likely keeping her in his private lounge. It is easily defended.”

“Smart guy,” Logan commented as he opened the door for her.

The ship was posh and decadent, exactly what someone paying to stay and play on it wanted. Ororo and Remy had come here countless times, picking pockets and fixing poker games. It was a relaxing pastime for the professional thieves, though Storm did feel slightly ashamed for her skills in that area.

“Miss Munroe.”

She smiled and waved, holding Logan back with a flick of her free wrist. Mookie, an older gentleman who ran the Renegade’s security motioned to her from the opposite end of the thickly carpeted hall.

“We have been expecting you,” Mookie grinned, flashing a row of gold teeth. “Your young friend is dining with the captain.”

“Thank you, Mookie,” Ororo winked at him, ducking into another long corridor.

Logan followed quietly. She glanced at him over her shoulder, confirming that he seemed to be taking everything in. He always liked to watch and assess, given the proper time to do so. Ororo pointed to a metallic hatch marked “Captain’s Quarters”.

“Here we are.”

She knocked twice and paused before repeating the process. Ely Yoemen was an old friend of Papa Jean’s, so several of the Thieves’ codes were known to him. She waited patiently, glancing at her lover, who seemed to have his sensitive ears trained on the doorway.

“She’s in there,” he sounded relieved. “An’ she ain’t too afraid.”

“Ely is a good man,” Storm smiled when the door opened.

Ely Yoemen was a tall, Baton Rouge native with a thick, mostly gray beard. His smile was familiar, though tinged with sadness.

“My Rory,” he greeted, shaking her hand warmly. “If I had known I had Assassins on my boat…”

“I know,” she cut in. “Where is Marie?”

“In here,” he beckoned her closer, then stopped, his eyes traveling to her companion.

“My fiancé, Logan,” she introduced quickly. “Logan, this is Ely, Captain of the Renegade.”

“Nice to meet ya,” Wolverine nodded, shaking the other man’s hand. “Nice place ya got here.”

“Thank you,” Ely motioned them both to follow him into the spacious quarters.

The rooms were exactly as Ororo remembered them. Walls were adorned with paintings and models of old ships. His carpeting had been recently cleaned, but it was still the color of red wine. Upon an antique settee was young Rogue, her legs tucked up under her as she gazed out of the tiny porthole, a sorrowful look on her lovely face.

“Hey, kid,” Logan called to her, instantly gaining her full attention.

“Ya came!”

A flying ball of tears hit Logan in the chest. Ororo narrowing missed getting trampled by Ely’s protective grasp. She glanced at her old friend, shaking her head with amusement. In a low tone, she explained that the two were close, so they gave the girl and her hero a moment to speak.

“Ah’ve been so scared, Logan,” Marie was saying, muffled by his jacket. “They jus’ took him away an’ he didn’t say Ah was there.”

“It’s ok,” the other mutant replied quietly. “’Ro an’ I’ll find him and you’ll help, right?”

“Course Ah’ll help!” she exclaimed, turning to embrace Ororo. “Hi, Storm.”

“Why don’t we all have some port while young Marie explains what happened in her quarters.”

The group settled into the plush seating in the Captain’s sitting room. Logan and Rogue occupied one settee while Ororo sat beside Ely, speaking in clipped French for a moment.

What her friend did not want to say in front of Marie was not good news. Ororo glanced at Logan, knowing his Canadian French would likely pick up some of what Ely was saying. He explained that Papa Jean had called just moments before the kidnapping, urging the aging captain to usher Remy and his companion off of the ship. Unfortunately, Jean-Luc had not been swift enough. By the time Ely’s men made it to the lower decks, Remy was gone and Rogue had phoned Xavier’s mansion.

When questioned, Ely revealed that Jean-Luc had seemed anxious and would not tell him why he feared for Remy’s safety. Of course, in this area, one was usually not wise to question the direct word of someone like Papa Jean.

“All right,” Ororo said at last in English. “Rogue, tell us exactly what happened.”

The Southern belle launched into the entire tale. How she and Remy decided a vacation was in order and took off for his old stomping grounds. He’d shown her how to play poker and they danced all night in the ballroom section of the ship. They’d just been blowing off steam, having some fun that wasn’t related to mutant powers and the inevitable war with “normal” humans.

Just a few hours ago, they were heading back to their rooms after an all night poker marathon “ in which Remy did not cheat and still took home scores of money “ when Remy felt as though he were being watched.

He ushered Marie into her room, popped open the ventilation hatch and stuffed her inside with strict instructions to contact Storm if something happened to him. Scant seconds after hiding his young love, Remy was attacked inside Rogue’s room. He’d fought for several moments, only to be detained by a threat to locate Marie and kill her.

Remy went quietly after eliciting their solemn vow that Rogue would not be harmed. At this point, Rogue burst into tears, comforted by Logan’s embrace.

Ely went on, saying that a small boat had been launched from the starboard side of the ship just before Rogue came rushing out of her room, screaming for a telephone. The rest, Logan and Ororo knew.

This information was grave. Ororo had a feeling that Remy’s kidnapping was not a result of some wrong doing on his part. If Papa Jean had tried to warn his son, it was because the elder man had stepped on the wrong person’s toes.

“What now?” Logan growled, still rocking an emotional Rogue.

“We go to Papa Jean,” Storm said coolly. “Is he still at the estate?”

“Yes,” Ely replied promptly. “In an hour we will be within range of the estate, which is why I set this course.”

“Thank you, ami,” she replied with a smile. “I will call Charles and explain the situation to him. If I know Papa Jean…”

“And you do, better than most,” Ely chimed in.

“He has already arranged to retrieve Gambit,” she finished. “If that is the case, we will make the drop ourselves. No Assassin will take Gambit’s life. You have my word, Rogue.”

“Thanks for comin’,” the girl said in a small voice. “Ah thought you two’d be madder than hornets.”

“Oh, we were, trust me.” Logan smirked at Storm. “But we kinda got over that part.”

“Indeed,” she agreed. “But that is a tale for another time. Come, let us eat and refresh ourselves. I fear there is a long night ahead of us.”
15. Bayou Battle by Gaineewop


Chapter Fifteen: Bayou Battle

Yeah, I’d fight for you
I’d lie for you
Walk the wire for you
Yeah, I’d die for you
~Bryan Adams


Logan speaks:

Lets just say that I definitely wasn’t prepared to see Ororo turn into someone else. Well, thinkin’ bout it, she wasn’t really someone else. Just a different side of her that no one in New York ever saw. It was amazin’. She was cool, confident, and just this side of fuckin’ terrifyin’ at the thought someone might hurt Gumbo.

I guess it reminded me a lot of myself. If Rogue’d been mutie-napped, I woulda torn the world apart stone by stone to get her back. When Storm dropped us on the grounds of this huge mansion called “The Estate”, she looked ready to kill someone. A buncha Thieves jumped out, obviously security types.

Inside of a minute, ‘Ro had ‘em all on the ground, whimperin’. She was pissed. Went toward the mansion, wind blowin’ behind her, arms out, leather duster whippin’ round like a cape. Blew out every window in the first floor. Reminded me a little of Liberty Island. No one was brave enough to stop her after that.

It occurred to me after the windows shattered that she was keepin’ a tight lid on her anger, knowin’ it wouldn’t help her find Gambit. But she wasn’t wastin’ time either. There wasn’t a force on the earth that coulda stopped her. It was right around then that I realized how much respect I had for that woman. Still do, come to that.

Well, we got inside, windows all broke. Not that it was a bad thing, hot as it was in New Orleans. ‘Ro demanded to see ‘Papa Jean’ an’ they took us right in. I’m still kinda curious, even after all these years, at what she woulda done if they even tried to give her the runaround.

Coulda been interestin’.


~**~

Logan kept Rogue between himself and Storm as they moved into the mansion. Several dozen men and women came out of various rooms, each halting in the hallway, staring at Ororo. Some of them smiled, others glared, still another cowered in fear.

The mansion was tasteful, reminding him somewhat of Xavier’s. Thick carpeting covered the floors. Huge oil paintings and antiques covered the walls and dotted the corridors. Someone loved this place. Even as their boots crunched the broken glass left over from Ororo’s temper, he could see it was a home, not just a headquarters.

Keeping his eyes open for signs of danger, he followed Ororo silently, adjusting his Stetson so it covered his eyes in shadow. He was curious about these people, what brought them together besides a love of thieving. Several of them were young, reminding him of the students back in New York. It occurred to Logan that perhaps there was something in common between this Papa Jean and their Professor X.

Shoving his thoughts aside, he noted that two enormous French doors at the end of the long hall opened as they approached. A tall, thin, older man pushed both doors open, standing expectantly in the doorway.

“Rory…”

“Papa Jean,” his love replied, moving immediately to the taller man and wrapping him in a warm embrace.

Logan halted, touching Marie’s hand to slow her movements. From the shared embrace, it looked as though Ororo cared deeply for this man. He wanted to give them a moment to reunite. Rogue, seemingly understanding this, moved to stand beside Logan.

They watched as Papa Jean and Ororo hugged, speaking in whispered French. Logan’s heart clenched at the look on the man’s face, which was visible with Ororo’s hair pulled from her shoulders.

He looked as though someone had yanked his heart out and showed it to him. Thinking on it, Logan realized that Jean-Luc LeBeau obviously loved Gambit. He thought, for a moment, how it would feel if someone took off with his Prita. The mere thought hurt so much, it was almost physical.

A wave of sympathy washed over him, squashed quickly. Feeling badly about the situation wouldn’t rectify it. He would help Rogue, Storm, and Jean in any way he could. Then, he was going to rush home and scoop that baby girl into his arms.

“Logan, Marie.”

At Ororo’s soft call, the waiting mutants moved forward. Ororo turned toward them, brushing at the single tear she’d allowed to escape her eyes.

“I see that you were a bit testy upon arriving,” Papa Jean said with a bit of humor in his voice as he gestured to the glass on the floor.

“They have Remy,” was all the explanation she gave.

“I know, petite.”

Logan reached the duo first, extending his hand. Papa Jean accepted the gesture. He was a strong man, Logan knew from his forceful handshake. He was open, kind, but dangerous when trifled with. These were the hands of a man who worked to get where he was, and kept right on working to keep it. In the man’s blue eyes, Logan saw compassion and barely-restrained rage.

Oh, he liked this guy already.

“This is Logan,” Ororo was saying. “My fiancé. Logan, this is Papa Jean, my beloved mentor and friend.”

“Nice to meet you, Logan,” Jean-Luc said warmly. “You tamed my girl.”

“I wouldn’t ever tame her, bub,” Logan said with a toothy smile. “She’s too much fun untamed.”

This caused Jean-Luc to laugh heartily. He reached up and slapped Logan’s shoulder in a masculine fashion. “Oh, my Rory, he’s a keeper.”

“I quite thought so,” Ororo replied, giving Logan a wink.

“Oh, oh, look at this beauty before me,” Papa Jean released Logan, turning to Marie.

“Hi,” Marie said cautiously. “I’m Rogue…Marie.”

“Oh yes,” Papa Jean said, putting an arm around her slim shoulders. Logan noted how he carefully avoided touching her skin. “Remy has told me so much about you. He is much enamored with you.”

Logan watched the girl blush prettily as Papa Jean beckoned them into the room. He led Marie himself, keeping her close to him. Ororo glanced back at the others and waved to a few of them. Most of the Thieves that had smiled at her arrival waved back. Logan knew he would have to allow her some time to say hello after they recovered Gambit.

The parlor was just as beautiful as the rest of the mansion. Plush carpets, rich upholstery, paintings and even a grand piano decorated the room. Everything was colored a rich green of silken black. It was decadent and rich, but still tasteful.

Marie sat on a small loveseat beside Jean, letting the tactile man hold her hand in a fatherly fashion. Logan took a seat in the armchair, wanting to groan as it sucked him in, making him instantly comfortable.

Ororo perched on the arm of his chair, shrugging out of her duster.

“Papa?”

“Yes, always to business,” he glanced at Logan, humor in his eyes. “I see she has not changed overmuch.”

“Nope,” Logan said somewhat proudly. “She’s still a pain in the ass.”

“Someone wishes to sleep alone,” Ororo cut in tartly.

“Oh, ma cherie,” Jean-Luc said, shaking his head and looking to Rogue. “She was born without her funny bone.”

Rogue seemed to try to bite back her amused smile and tiny giggle, but it wasn’t that effective. Ororo crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

“Jean-Luc!”

“Fine, fine,” the older man said crossly. “I was contracted by an unnamed source to steal a valuable box.”

“Tell me the thief did not look inside!” Ororo nearly shrieked.

“Of course not!” Jean replied, standing quickly. “My standards have not fallen.”

“Yes, I know,” said the white-haired woman. “What happened?”

“Assassins seemed to decide something worth so much should be theirs,” the elder man said sadly. “They ambushed the drop site and murdered two of my thieves.”

“Was Remy there?”

“Of course,” the man nodded sadly. “He was wary about the drop. He managed to save the other thief and retrieve the merchandise.”

Ororo sighed, making Logan look up at her, and push his Stetson back a little. She was pinching the bridge of her nose, her lovely mouth drawn in a tight line.

“An Assassin recognized him,” Jean-Luc went on. “They called just yesterday, saying they would kill my son if I did not give them the box. But, if I do turn it over…”

“Your life is forfeit, your men are honor-bound to kill you.”

Startled, Logan sat up fully, glancing at an equally shocked Rogue. “What kinda fucked up world is this?”

“A thief’s,” Storm said sadly, looking to Jean-Luc.

“Rory, I cannot let my son die,” he said, emotion choking his voice. Another swell of sympathy came over Logan.

“Papa Jean, if you die, all the good you have done for the Guild goes with you. No one is prepared to carry on your work.”

“Ah’m confused on that one, ‘Roro,” Rogue piped up.

Ororo turned to her friends, her gaze lingering when it met Logan’s. He didn’t even have to be a telepath to know what her plan was. His gut clenched unpleasantly while she turned to explain a few things to Marie.

His earlier assessment was right. Papa Jean took in homeless and starving kids, taught them how to defend themselves, fed them, and kept them out of trouble. It was how he’d taken in Gambit and Storm, keeping them both close. He loved each of his Thieves as Xavier loved his X-Men and students.

Respect grew inside him for this man and Logan vowed to follow the plan he knew was forming in Ororo’s mind. They would get Gumbo back and protect Papa Jean. Just like the Professor would want them to.

“What are you thinking?” Jean-Luc asked, looking from Logan to Storm.

“Think it’ll work, darlin’?” Logan questioned his love. “Dangerous as hell.”

She nodded. “I know, but I have done this before.”

“Rory,” Papa Jean cut in. “If you ambush the Assassins…”

“They will kill Rogue and I and likely injure my Wolverine,” she nodded. “But they will not expect the Thieves to betray them at the drop site.”

“Yeah,” Logan nodded. “Ya go like you’re turnin’ on your own men. Let Storm, Rogue, an’ me hit them from the side.”

“We don’t have to kill ‘em,” Rogue said quickly, catching on. “We come out with Remy an’ the box. Makes the Assassins think twice bout messin’ with the Thieves.”

“And you regain your status as a force to be reckoned with,” Storm finished.

Logan watched as Papa Jean turned from the three of them, obviously thinking over their plan. The man looked as though a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He wondered how much Jean-Luc had depended on Storm before she’d regained her memory. A bit of guilt filtered into Logan, thinking how much her leaving the Bayou had likely hurt her friend.

What had he done when Ororo took off for India because of him?

Ororo’s hand squeezed his shoulder and he looked up at her. She was smiling slightly, giving him a look that plainly said to stop playing pity party.

“Rory,” Papa Jean said a moment later. “Go to the armory. Many of the Assassins still do not know you are a mutant. The drop is at midnight.”

“Why is it always midnight?” Rogue wondered aloud, then startled. “Wait…armory?!”

“Yes, mon chou,” Storm said firmly, grabbing her duster. “We will need body armor as well, Papa.”

“Of course,” he nodded. “Ask Amy to find you Kevlar, though we may have a problem with Logan.”

“I don’t need it,” Wolverine said with a feral smile.

“He has a very fast healing factor,” Rogue said, standing when Ororo did. “Ah’ve never used a gun though.”

“I will show you,” Ororo said, catching Logan’s slightly speculative look. “What?”

“Guns, darlin’?”
“Remind me to take you hunting when we get home.”

“Oh, yeah.”

~**~

“Grenades?”

“Yes, thank you, dear,” Ororo grinned, clipping two of the hand grenades onto the front of her leather pants.

“Rogue, here take these,” Logan handed the girl a pair of .9-milimeter handguns.

“Same kind Ah used earlier?” the petite girl questioned, holstering the guns quickly.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “You’ve got two spare clips, but if it turns bad, drop ‘em an’ use your powers.”

“If you get out of my eye line, I will be forced to hurt you,” Storm chimed in as she loaded the sawed-off shotgun.

He took a moment as he snapped the spare clips into Rogue’s belt to look at his fiancée. She was still decked out in her leather, which made his mind want to wander. Inside her duster were the grenades he’d handed her, two semi-automatic handguns and a rifle strapped to her back.

Though he should have been worried, all he could think was that she looked incredibly sexy, dangerous, a worthy mate. It would be interesting to see her at work as a former Thief.

His head tilted to the side as she hooked the shotgun onto the little leather loop inside her coat. Two long-bladed knives found their way into her boots, which really seemed insanely sexy.

“Logan?”

Snapping back from his musing, he looked into the amused hazel eyes of Rogue.

“Yeah?”

“Ya broke mah belt,” she said through soft giggles.

Clearing his throat, he repaired the small tear he’d made in her gun belt and announced her ready to go. Rogue looked like some sort of Amazon with her guns and a bow staff strapped to her back. The kid was pretty good with the thing, as she’d demonstrated how Gumbo’d taught her how to use it.

They were waiting on a small road outside of New Orleans. It was still a few minutes until midnight and they were waiting for the signal from Papa Jean. Logan wasn’t worried about the drop. They were mutants and would reveal that if necessary.

He wouldn’t admit it under torture, but he was concerned with recovering Gambit. The kid made Rogue happy, as he could see easily by her grim determination and fiery anger that someone was hurting him.

Decked out with weaponry, both girls waited as Logan strapped a pair of handguns to his hips, tucking an enormous knife into his belt. Ororo clipped a couple of grenades onto his belt, fire in her eyes telling him something about this got her juices flowing.

They’d have to pay another visit to the Assassins someday soon. He had the sneaky suspicion that he was in for an energetic night when they were done. That look in her blue eyes said she was ready to devour him on the spot.

He licked his lips, leaning down to kiss her quickly. This was definitely a side of his future wife that he had not expected.

“Ya look hot,” he whispered to her as she tugged on his belt to secure his weaponry.

“As do you.”

Before he could reply, his sharp hearing caught the sound of a low wolf-whistle, coupled by an oncoming car engine.

“Three cars,” Logan reported to Storm. “At least a dozen men, probably more. Shit!”

“What?” Rogue and Ororo demanded in unison.

He heard another blow land, the strangled cursing that followed achingly familiar. Judging from the sound of the Cajun’s taunting, he’d been hurt. Badly. Rage flooded Logan’s veins and for a moment, all he saw was red. He wanted to rush into the clearing and kill every one of them.

“Rashness will not protect Papa Jean,” he heard Ororo’s soothing voice and crashed back to reality. “Be calm, Logan. How bad is it?”

“Remy’s hurt?” Rogue whispered hotly, adjusting the Kevlar vest under her top. “Ah’ll kill those bastards!”

“What am I going to do with you two?” Storm sighed, shaking her head.

“He’s been hit, more than once,” Logan grunted, taking hold of the animal within. “But he’s still mouthin’ off. Atta boy.”

Storm smiled, kissing Logan’s cheek. “Good. Then he is not broken. Come.”

“Storm’s gonna take point,” Wolverine said quickly, tapping Storm’s chest to ensure she had her armor on. “She’ll fire the first shot. Rogue, on her left flank, I’m on the right. Keep close. The other Thieves will stay out of the way. Don’t wanna be shootin’ our own men.”

“Right,” Ororo turned, taking up her shotgun again as Logan took the other two from the hood of the Jeep they’d driven.

“If it gets hairy,” he continued to Rogue. “Grab Gumbo an’ Jean-Luc, get ‘im back to the estate. Storm and I’ll make sure the others get out ok.”

“All right,” Rogue nodded, though he could see she hated this backup plan. “Ya can count on me.”

Logan smiled, chucking her gently under the chin. “I know, kiddo. Always can.”

“Let’s move,” Storm called over her shoulder, moving into the thick brush.

Wolverine and Rogue soon followed, heading into the swamp to retrieve their friend.

~**~

The clearing was filled with people. Thieves in black coats and the Assassins in what looked like a deep green. Storm, Wolverine, and Rogue crouched in the brush, waiting for the right moment.

Six Jeeps crowded the clearing, three facing three. Papa Jean was standing in front of his men, looking properly ashamed of himself. The other man Logan didn’t recognize, but his scent said a lot.

Blood and hatred, a man that lived for killing. Snorting the scent from his nose, Wolverine growled lowly. He didn’t like that one. Storm shot him a look that said to be quiet. She was a thief, everything was done quietly, precision-perfect.

They had spotted Gambit in the back of a Jeep, but he was soon yanked down. His hands were bound, his face swollen and bloody. The Assassins kicked him in the back of the knee, bringing him sharply to the ground. That caused both of the women beside Logan to growl themselves.

Gambit was pleading with his father to just leave him, that it wasn’t worth it. Logan admitted to himself that the kid had something. He was strong. About twenty-four hours in an enemy camp with beating and starvation but he wasn’t broken. He was still thinking of Rogue and Logan knew it.

Storm shifted beside him, bringing her shotgun up as Jean’s men brought the box forward. Their plan was to attack the moment the box touched the Assassin’s hands. Logan pulled his pair of shotguns from his sides, pointing them toward the kneecaps of the man holding Gumbo.

Ororo was certain that Gambit would remain motionless the moment things went down. He was smart, had done this sort of thing himself.

A beat later, Jean-Luc held the box out to his Assassin counterpart.

“Ah, dis not even satisfyin’,” the thickly accented man said contemptuously. “I beat de Thieves’ leader an’ no one gon’ congratulate me.”

His hands touched the box.

Storm, like some ancient warrior, stood in one fluid motion, bringing her shotgun up. Logan stood immediately, his own weapons raised as Rogue took the handguns from her belt.

“I believe you are mistaken.”

Ororo’s loud words were broken by the ringing shot of her gun. The Assassin screamed, the bullet now lodged in his elbows. Logan fired both of his shotguns, hitting the kneecaps of the idiot holding Gambit.

Rogue was firing her handguns like a pro, getting shoulders and kneecaps of the men standing in the Jeeps. Storm dropped her shotgun, taking a grendade in her hand and pulling the pin with her teeth.
“Remy!”

As if on cue, she tossed the grenade and Gambit flattened to the dirty ground, rolling toward them quickly. Logan busied himself with retrieving the boy, who was closest to him. Storm and Rogue reloaded and were busy chasing the Assassins from the clearing while dodging bullets.

The explosion rocked one Jeep and tossed another onto it’s side, red-hot flame leaping up into the thick tree canopy covering the swamp. Luckily, she’d managed to hit the unoccupied Jeep, not killing anyone.

Thieves were waiting in their Jeeps, even as Logan scooped the bleeding Cajun they’d come for into his arms and over his shoulder.

“Danks, mon ami,” Gambit said weakly.

“You ok, kid?” Logan shouted over the gunfire.

Storm was on a roll, tossing her handguns aside as several hidden Assassins flooded the clearing. She was back to back with Rogue, who had already used up her ammo. Logan paused, wondering if he should follow his lover’s orders or help her.

They were protecting the box and at the first flash of knives, he knew they would be all right. Logan shot another Assassin in the kneecap as he tore off across the clearing, keeping Gambit protectively over his shoulder.

“Remy!”

“Papa.”

Logan deposited his package in the back of a Thieves’ Jeep, watching a touching moment as Jean-Luc cut his son’s bonds and the two men embraced warmly.

“Gotta protect Gambit’s girls,” the man said weakly.

Smirking, Wolverine reached into his pocket, handing the man a set of playing cards.

“Thought ya might want those. Stay low an’ don’t leave the Jeep or Storm’ll have my head.”

“Danks, Wolverine,” Gambit said as he charged a card, making it glow in the dim light.

Logan jumped out of the Jeep, drawing his .9-milimeters from his belt. Storm and Rogue were holding their own, keeping the box from Assassin hands. He came up beside them as sniper rifles from the Thieves’ Jeeps were given the order to open fire.

No Thief killed, according to Storm. If it was at all avoidable, they did not take lives. That was the Assassins role in the Bayou. Kneecaps, thighs, arms, and hands however, were fair game. Several Assassins went down with various injuries. Logan took two shots in the chest, barely grunting through the pain.

The leading Assassin had already been collected by his men, which seemed to be scrambling for the Jeeps. Storm was shaking her head as she threw one of her elegantly curves knives. Logan laughed as it lodged into a tire, making several of their enemies scream like women.

Gun power and burning metal were not pleasant scents, but they covered the small clearing. Even as the Assassins began to retreat, screaming curses in French, the three X-Men kept close to the box in question.

Suddenly, all was quiet, save for the Jeep burning just a few meters away and the sound of frightened Cajuns as they made their escape in the two working Jeeps, flat tire or not. Logan lowered his guns, turning to the women he’d fought beside.

Storm held her last knife in one hand, staring after the retreating bastards. Rogue was breathing hard, her arm bleeding from what looked like a bullet graze. The Thieves behind them were quiet, the sound of silence deafening after the rage of battle.

Blue eyes suddenly met his, admiration glowing through them as Ororo kissed his lips quickly.

“Thank you.”

Her soft words hit him hard and he gave her a small smile. “Anythin’ for my wife.”

She tilted her head slightly, giving him that simple, beautiful smile that had become his very reason for living.

“Rogue?”

“Gambit.”

Logan turned his head in time to see Gambit limping from the Jeep. Rogue’s beautiful face was wet with tears as she moved toward her love. His heart twisted when he saw Gambit rush as much as he could, paying no heed to the blood soaking his torn clothing.

Rogue was tired, but her face showed her relief when they met in the center of the clearing. Gambit’s arms went around her instantly, wrapping the small woman in a strong embrace. He was saying something against her hair in broken, emotional French.

His young friend was crying as she clung to her love. Logan glanced at Storm, seeing the admiration in her eyes. The two young lovers were beautiful together. Though Wolverine knew they were in for a long, difficult haul, he had a feeling they would be all right. Everything Rogue had done to retrieve him spoke of a love Logan understood well.

He felt Ororo grab his hand, squeezing it as Rogue and Gambit broke apart. There would be no passionate kiss between them, her mutation forbade it, but from the look shared between them, neither cared.

“Wow,” Logan whispered to his love. “That’s…”

“Akin to witnessing a miracle,” Ororo replied softly. “My Cajun playboy has just fallen. Hard.”

“I think I know how he feels,” he responded, giving her a small smile.

“As do I,” Ororo kissed his cheek, pulling on his hand. “Come, we need to rest.”

“Yeah,” Logan agreed. “Anyone gonna break them up?”

“I do not have the heart,” his love pouted as they came upon the staring couple.

“Yeah, neither do I,” he nodded. “Lets give them a minute.”

Logan and Ororo moved toward one of the Jeeps, smiling at the wistful expression on Papa Jean’s face as the other Thieves retrieved the box. By the time the mutant couple was strapped into their Jeep, Rogue was helping Gambit back to his father.

Everything was all right again, Logan mused as they drove away from the bloodied clearing. His family was in tact.
16. Closer by Gaineewop


Chapter Sixteen: Closer

You’re the hope that moves me
To courage again
You’re the love that rescues me
When the cold winds rage
And it’s so amazin’
Cause that’s just how you are
~LeeAnn Rimes


Ororo backed Logan into the room that Papa Jean had given them, taking his Stetson from his head. Her lips fused to his, a demand for more, as she kicked the door closed behind them.

It was nearing dawn, the pair of them having seen Gambit was taken care of and ensuring Prita was all right back at the mansion. Jean-Luc had insisted they remain for a day or two, taking a much-welcome break from the rigors of fighting for mutant rights. The Assassins had been dealt with, there would be retribution, but most were confident that it would be aimed at Papa Jean himself.

The estate was alive with the Thieves returning from their nocturnal missions, many of them gathering in the wide meal hall or parlors to look over their pilfered items and talking about the night’s events. Logan had been roped into a brief conversation on the merits of lock picking when Ororo came from Papa Jean’s office to fetch him. She’d given him one look, which seemed to convey her interest in something meant for two. A beat after their eyes met, he’d hastily excused them from the room and nearly dragged her upstairs.

However, she was unwilling to allow him dominance here. This was her ‘turf’ and she would control things. Something akin to the Alpha Female persona overtook her, demanding that she affirm her claim on him. Ororo had pushed him easily against the wall, claiming his lips as her hands roamed over his body.

Logan had played the voice of reason, growling out that they should continue somewhere more private as she suckled the flesh of his neck. It had taken some doing, but they had managed to find their way to the bedroom without tearing one another’s clothing off.

She put the Stetson on her head, moving away from Logan. He stalked her, as a predator would its prey. She gave him a naughty smile, her hands going to the buttons of her too-tight shirt. Logan licked his lips, his eyes flashing hungrily as her fingers made quick work of the buttons.

“Yer drivin’ me nuts, ‘Ro,” he growled, sniffing the air. Whatever scent he caught made him groan.

“That was the idea,” she retorted in a husky tone that betrayed her want. “Did you enjoy watching me tonight? The steel and leather?”

“Yeah,” he grunted, coming a little closer. “Cool. Dangerous. Sexy.”

His dark eyes were on hers as she opened her top. The missing bra was obviously a surprise to her aroused lover. While she shrugged out of it, he tore his own shirt over his head, his gaze traveling down her breasts and past her flat belly.

“You wanted me.”

“Fuckin’ right. I want ya. Now.”

Desire flared to life again inside her at the demand in his tone. She had to remind herself that she was not only taunting Logan, but the beast he held in check as well. Something about that brought her racing heart to a thundering rhythm. Perhaps it was the ferocity in his gaze, the underlying love she could see there, but the more she looked at him, the more the ache inside her built. There was no other like Logan and no matter how hard the road behind and before them was, nothing could change that.

“Stay.” She commanded him with the air of a goddess, halting his slow progression.

Keeping his Stetson on her head, she dropped her hands to her belly. Languid movements brought her fingers to the clasp of her trousers, which she flipped open with the deftness of a thief. His eyes were on her hands as she smoothed them over the butter-soft leather covering her thighs.

Ororo sat on the edge of the enormous four-poster bed, letting her knees come apart wantonly. This was not wholly like her, but returning to this place where she had been entirely free released some of the restrictions she normally carried with her. Wind and hail pelted the estate around them. At least in the Bayou freak storms were common. No one would guess at what the weather witch was up to.

Keeping her gaze on the restrained lover in the center of the room, Ororo lifted the leg of her pants, finding the zipper of her boots. She worked it down slowly, taking the worn leather boot off in a pace she knew was pushing the limits.

The other boot came next, followed by her socks. Ororo let her hands go to her knees, where she parted them even further before standing. Logan was all but whimpering, but he remained where she’d instructed. The sizable bulge in his jeans told her she did not have much more time before he broke free.

It was what she wanted. This deadly side of her was begging to embrace the Wolverine completely. She loved him, with all of her heart, but that did not mean they could not enjoy something that was purely pleasure for pleasure’s sake.

Her fingers worked back up the leather of her pants, removing the thin knife she’d concealed in the waistband some time ago. She removed it, tossing the elegant blade toward the wall, where it imbedded perfectly.

“’Ro…yer pushin’ it, darlin’,” he warned, his growl sending gooseflesh racing over her flesh.

“I know,” she taunted in reply, working the zipper of her pants down.

Bending at the waist, she worked her pants over her hips and backside, then down her thighs and calves until they pooled at her feet. The delicate lace of her black panties followed and she sat back on the bed wearing nothing, save for Logan’s hat.

Obviously, the image she presented proved too much for her bare-chested lover.

Logan sprang across the room with surprising agility. He flattened her to the bed, his lips meeting hers in a kiss that scorched from the outside in. Passion raged between them as hands groped for bare flesh. Ororo arched her body into Logan’s, whimpering his name as he took her pulse point into his mouth.

He reared up a moment later, kicking his boots away impatiently and working the denim of his jeans down his legs as though he were on fire. She panted and writhed beneath him, crooning in ecstasy when she found nothing but bare flesh on hers.

Logan’s mouth played a symphony along her heated skin. He took each of her breasts with his perfect lips, licking and suckling anything he could reach. Ororo thrashed against the pillows, his Stetson falling forward until it nearly covered her eyes. His hands found purchase on the back of her thighs, kneading the dark flesh with greedy hands.

“I don’t deserve ya,” he groaned against the skin of her belly.

“Do not say that,” she countered even as a gentle bite above her navel brought a hiss from her lips.

Ororo pushed at his shoulders, urging him to lie back before she exploded. He obliged quickly, letting her straddle his thighs. She brought a hand up, adjusting the Stetson on her head so she could see, though her eyes were shrouded by shadow. She felt his cock against her belly and bit back a groan.

“Now that’s fuckin’ hot,” Logan growled, taking her hips in his hands.

“That was the idea,” she murmured, rocking against his erection with a low moan.

“I need ya,” he grunted, arching his hips toward her. “I need to be inside.”

“Yes, my love,” Ororo replied, leaning forward to take his lips in another heated kiss.

She let his hands guide her, lifting and adjusting until she could feel the heat of his cock against her slick entrance. Want so deep and forceful it was almost terrifying erupted inside her. She had never wanted someone this way, never knew what it was like to embrace the darker side of herself and encourage that release in another.

With Logan, even the most bracing of acts seemed impossibly easy.

All thought halted when he pulled her down, sliding inside of her easily. Clutching the Stetson on her head, Ororo cried out, arching her back as she took in all of him. Once he was buried to the hilt, his hands bruising her hips, she leaned forward again.

Ororo watched his face through hooded eyes as she began to move. Lifting her body only to thrust back onto him, she set an immediate and frenzied pace. Logan’s head fell back against the pillows, his breath coming in short gasps that matched her own. She rode him hard, fast, exactly as she’d always dreamed of in her deepest fantasies. There was something unbridled and carnal between them, something more primitive and aching than anything before.

She felt his hands leave her hips as she continued to move, taking him deeper and deeper inside of her with every thrust. His fingers kneaded the flesh of her breasts, twisting her nipples in turn. She whimpered at his attentions, then cried out when he quickly shifted. One of his talented hands wiggled between them, circling her clit even as she slammed back onto his cock with ever-rising haste.

Bracing her hands on his chest, Ororo moved faster, her climax building in her belly. Thought was gone as they raced toward completion together, the sound of the headboard slamming against the wall mingling with flesh striking wet flesh. Sweat soon slicked over them both, making it easier to slide against one another.

“Come on, baby,” Logan grunted. “Go over. Come with me.”

As though on command, Ororo’s eyes slammed shut, lights erupting behind her lids as she rode to bliss. Her body trembled as white-hot heat raced through her. She heard Logan cry her name, his body going stiff beneath hers.

Through the aftershocks of her climax, she whispered his name, then collapsed across his chest. Panting, she felt the world spin around her, the only anchor in sight being the hard, sweaty body under hers. She felt him take the Stetson from her head and glanced up at him somewhat sheepishly.

“Aw,” he groaned, giving her a sexy, sated smile. “Don’t go all shy on me. That was definitely good for me.”

“And I as well,” Ororo replied, kissing his chest. “That was…wonderful.”

“I have got to bring ya down here more often,” her love teased, putting the hat on the nightstand. “Yer very…forceful round here.”

She giggled somewhat girlishly, leaning up to kiss his lips. They groaned in unison when their bodies disengaged, leaving her with a slightly empty feeling.

“Papa Jean used to say ‘You’ve got the body of a siren, the smarts of a scholar and the soul of a thief, girl. You’ve just got to remember that you can be all three at once.”

“Huh,” Logan grunted sleepily. “Man’s got a point.”

“Shut up,” Ororo chuckled, drawing the blankets up around them. “Sleep.”

“I love ya, ‘Ro,” he whispered as they tucked in, the day’s events finally catching up with them.

“I love you, Logan,” her whisper was lost as she drifted off into a happy, sated slumber.

~**~

Ororo sat with Gambit and Rogue in the gardens to the south of the estate, enjoying a few well-earned comforts. Logan had vanished with Papa Jean just after breakfast, though no one knew where they had gone. It pleased the white-haired mutant to see her future husband bonding “ for lack of a better term “ with her mentor and friend.

She lifted her face to the bright, beautiful Louisiana afternoon, waiting as her two young friends absorbed all she told them. They had demanded an explanation as to Logan and Ororo’s closeness as soon as Remy was released from the healers’ care. She had given in to their demands easily, explaining how their sudden departure had brought the two closer.

Rogue, clad in her body stocking and a warm sundress, was shaking her head in confusion, while a battered but coping Remy blinked. Wanting to giggle at their complete shock, she shrugged one shoulder, looking back at them as the birds chirped happily above.

Petite,” Gambit began. “Dat a bit faster dan Marie an’ Remy expect.”

“You expected something?” Ororo questioned her best friend, raising a white brow.

“Well,” he said somewhat bashfully. “Maybe a little.”

“Oh, honestly, Gambit,” Rogue cut in with her Southern drawl. “We were kinda hopin’ ya’d wise up. But…engaged?”

Ororo did chuckle at the slightly excited squeal to her friend’s voice. “Yes, engaged.”

“What bout all dat abfall wit Jean?”

Giving Remy a bit of a glare, she nodded. “If you are asking if the betrayal still hurts, it does. Somewhat. I love him, Gambit.”

Her friend sighed, wincing as he touched at his broken ribs. Rogue immediately looked alarmed, but he calmed his young love with a gentle smile.

Oui,” he said softly. “Gambit understan’ love, petite. Jus’ worried for you.”

A small, soft smile crossed Ororo’s lips and she reached across the table to squeeze his bandaged hand gently.

“There is no reason to worry, not any longer,” she soothed him. “Logan will always take good care of me, darling.”

“Ah know,” Rogue said with her everlasting cheer. “He takes care of anythin’ he loves. An’ he definitely loves ya, Stormy.”

Her eyes immediately narrowed. “Stormy?”

“Sorry!” Rogue giggled girlishly. “Ah can’t help it! All I heard while we were on the boat was “Stormy”!”

“I am not amused, Remy.” Storm told them both frostily.

For some reason, they both erupted into cheerful laughter that matched the wonderful New Orleans sunlight. Try as she might to hold it back, Ororo gave in to her own amusement. Everything was just right, for the moment. She missed her darling daughter, and perhaps her presence was the only missing ingredient, but for the moment, there was happiness.

When her friends calmed from their sudden laughter, Rogue nudged her love and said something in broken French. Gambit smiled indulgently and repeated the phrase perfectly. Rogue scrunched her nose in that determined way, trying to say the words properly.

She failed again, but Gambit continued for several minutes until she was able to grasp the phrase. Ororo picked it out as ‘The cat is under the chair’. It was a common way to teach the language. She remembered it from Gambit’s teachings. For some reason, the dedication Rogue was showing to learn her beloved’s language struck Storm was amazingly tender.

Watching them, she settled back against the wrought iron chair, sipping her tea while enjoying the day and watching the couple. She knew, more than anyone, that they were in for a long, hard road. But she knew her best friend, when he dedicated himself to someone or something, he went for it with his whole heart. Rogue would never be left wanting for love or affection, her mutation be damned.

“Hey.”

Turning at the familiar greeting, Ororo smiled at her lover brightly. The sight of his Stetson brought desire thudding through her veins, but she lifted her face for a chaste kiss at Logan’s approach.

“Damn, Rogue,” he grunted, amusement turning his lips up at the corners. “Yer French sucks.”

Mon ami!” Gambit said with a sigh. “Dat not helpful.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Logan kissed Rogue’s hair and patted Gambit on the back gently. “Whatcha doin’?”

“I am having a marvelous time watching these two and drinking good Cajun tea,” Ororo offered as he turned to sit beside her. “Where did you rush off to?”

“Who me?” Logan shot her a very fake look of complete innocence. “No where.”

“I smell a liar, mon chou,” Gambit raised a brow, nudging Ororo gently.

“Hrmm,” she nodded, affixing a long stare to her lover. “As do I.”

“Uh-oh,” Rogue giggled again. “Ah think Logan’s in trouble.”

“Hey, yer s’posed to be on my side, girl!” Logan chided his friend, putting an arm over the back of Storm’s chair.

She closed her eyes, enjoying the feel of his warm arm behind her. He smelled of cigars and leather, a scent that was wholly Logan. He continued trading barbs with Rogue for a moment. When Ororo opened her eyes, she met Gambit’s red stare, noting the small, sweet smile on his handsome face.

He understood her weakness for Logan and likely encouraged it. Winking in reply, she turned to her lover as he touched her bare shoulder to gain her attention.

“Papa Jean took me to the French Quarter,” he said slyly, using Jean-Luc’s common nickname for the first time.

“Oh?” Ororo said, her interest apparently obvious as he chuckled.

“Yeah,” he shrugged his shoulders. “I did some shoppin’ for the whole gettin’ married thing.”

Ororo gasped as he removed a small, black box from his pocket. Rogue and Gambit both gasped as well, then seemingly held their breath.

“Guess what this is,” Logan teased, tossing the box into the air.

“Mine!” Ororo said, making a grab for the box. “Gimme!”

“Aw, mon ami,” Gambit chuckled. “Ya done reduced her to a girl!”

Heedless to the heckling at her expense, Ororo plucked the box from Logan’s hand and flipped it open quickly. Her eyes went wide as she stared in surprise at the square-cut solitaire diamond, flanked by two oval shaped sapphires.

Ororo jumped up, tossing her chair recklessly onto the ground. She squealed “ really and truly squealed “ as she took the diamond from the box and held it up to the glinting light. Completely unaware that the other three were staring at her, she did a little dance in place, holding the beautiful ring close to her face.

“Thank God I didn’t worry bout makin’ up something romantic fer this moment,” Logan teased. “I think I created a monster.”

Hearing his voice, Ororo turned to him and without warning, leapt into his lap. Her skirt flew up to her thighs as she straddled him. Winding her arms about his neck, she placed a very noisy kiss to his smiling lips.

“It is beautiful,” she whispered breathlessly against his mouth. “I love you.”

The rumble of his laughter was felt against her chest as she rained kisses onto his cheeks and lips, not caring if the other two were making gagging noises behind them.

“Did ya read the inscription?”

“What inscription?” She blinked and pulled back, holding on to his shoulder to keep from falling off of his lap.

“If ya’d be calm an’ cool, I coulda told ya,” he taunted her playfully. “Look.”

Turning the yellow gold band over in her fingers, she read aloud from the beautiful French script. “Mon coeur, mon amour, mon épouse.

“You like it?” he asked quietly.

“Come on!” Rogue pouted, though Ororo did not turn to her. “Say it in English for the French-impaired.”

“My heart, my love, my wife,” Gambit said softly.

“Oh!” the younger girl sounded teary. “That’s beautiful.”

Ororo could not look from Logan’s handsome face, emotions shining from his ebony eyes. She silently handed him the ring, letting him take up her left hand. He slid the lovely diamond and sapphire ring onto her finger, kissing her hand when he finished.

“Official, then?” he grunted quietly.

“Oh, yes,” she replied, wrapping her arms around his neck again. “I am going to marry you.”

“Kinda sounds like a threat.” He waggled his eyebrows in a silly fashion.

Ororo laughed, kissing his lips forcefully. “Perhaps it is.”

~**~

For two days, Ororo and Logan remained in the Bayou with Gambit, Rogue, and the Thieves Guild. She knew her fiancé feared repercussions against the Guild, though he never mentioned it. He and Papa Jean bonded over everything from football to Ororo, so she knew he did not intend to leave until he was satisfied.

It touched her, to think her other family was to be accepted by Logan so easily. With all they had been through, she knew it was a lot to ask of someone. She had thrown a lot at him in a short time. He, however, seemed to take it all in stride. Somehow, Jean-Luc had even talked him into learning about lock picking.

Ororo and Gambit spent the second evening at the estate talking. He revealed his wish to rejoin the X-Men on a more permanent basis. She knew the main reason was Rogue, but accepted the decision nonetheless. Papa Jean had given his consent, with the stipulation that the four of them visit at least twice a year.

Logan had immediately agreed, then roped Jean-Luc into yet another billiard game.

Overjoyed that Gambit would be taking a place at the mansion again, Ororo called the Professor with the news. She also broke it to him that she and Logan intended to marry. For the first time, she heard Charles close to weeping with joy. He told her, on no uncertain terms, that he was happy on both counts and would celebrate upon the quartet’s return.

Now, she and Logan lay on their bed, bags packed and ready to leave in just a few hours time. They had begun hammering out wedding plans, neither of them wanting to wait longer than they had to.

Kitty and Peter’s wedding would come first, as neither wanted to rain on the young couple’s parade. Engagement news stopped at Charles, whom was ordered to hold his tongue until after the ceremony next week.

“Somethin’ small?” Logan questioned at her last comment. “How small?”

“I was thinking,” Ororo murmured, holding her left hand up to admire the lovely ring on her finger. “The X-Men, Papa Jean, and the students.”

“That’s what I had in mind.” He agreed, drawing his thumb up and down the bare flesh of her shoulder. “Maybe we can get the Elf to do the ceremony.”

“He is a priest,” Ororo said thoughtfully. “I want to be married at the mansion. Perhaps by the lake?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Logan’s voice was soft, almost wistful. “Outside? Maybe at dusk?”

“I do love the way you think.” She leaned up to kiss his lips gently. “A church wedding, as Peter and Kitty want, is not us.”

“Nope,” he concurred. “I can’t wait to see Prita in a little dress.”

Ororo chuckled, her heart aching for the little child still in New York. The main reason their visit would be so short was the betrothed couple’s sorrow at their missing child. They wanted to return to her, more than anything.

“Do you think we can teach her how to toss flower petals?”
He laughed softly, squeezing her shoulders. “Yeah, she’s quick.”

Someone knocked on the door a moment later. Logan called at the intruder to come in. Neither of them moved from the bed, too content to lie together.

Petite? Mon ami?” Gambit poked his still-bruised face into the room. “Rogue ready to go an’ Papa Jean wan’ say goodbye.”

“All right,” Ororo replied, still not moving to get up. “We will be down in a moment.”

When their friend was gone again, Ororo looked to her fiancé and smiled. “Are you ready?”

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Lets go home.”

~**~

Ororo speaks:

Yes, I acted like a very girly girl upon receiving my engagement ring. I do believe I was entitled. I never expected to marry the man I loved. Unlike the disaster with Forge, I knew immediately that I wanted to marry Logan.

In the years that followed that eventful trip to Louisiana, I never removed that ring. It was supposed to be bad luck at a wedding, wearing the ring that way. Not for me. Even as I swelled with child a good time later, I would not remove it.

I cannot skip time so much, though I know I have little left. Logan, Marie, Remy, and I said goodbye to the Thieves and flew home in the small jet. We laughed and talked the entire way, each of us feeling incredibly lucky.

We all prepared for Kitty and Peter’s wedding, though Logan and I were seldom apart with Prita attached to both of our hips. Over the next week, life was blissfully uneventful.

Of course, something had to shake us all up again. It was the first of many surprises that Logan and I would receive during our long marriage.
17. The End of All Things by Gaineewop
Chapter Seventeen: The End of All Things

I’m here without you, baby
But you’re still on my lonely mind
I think about you, baby
And I dream about you all the time
~3 Doors Down


Logan’s fingers traced the fading paper and nearly invisible ink of his beloved wife’s diary, his heart aching in his chest. The dark red sky swirled angrily above him, a herald of all that was to come in the near future.

He was happy his wife was not here to witness this. For the last several decades, the world had torn itself apart with nuclear threat, disease, and now…meteors. Ororo had once told him that she believed all beings on the planet were allotted a certain window of time in which to dominate before the Great Mother wiped the slate clean. To start again. She often told him that when mankind pushed too far, too fast, the Earth would take steps to protect herself.

Over the last long, lonely years, he had witnessed this theory proven. When man became too arrogant, too caught up in petty wars and religious frenzy, the world moved to wipe them away. Something else would replace the bad. He knew it.

Holding the diary in his hands, he shifted his aged and weary body, glancing at the field of headstones surrounding him. They had all been moved a hundred times over the eternity he’d spent alone. When something threatened their bones, he immediately had them exhumed and relocated. They were all he would have when the end reached him.

Logan looked back at the diary in his hands, running a loving thumb over the script that was his wife’s name on the first page. She had started the diary toward the end, wanting him to have some record of how much she loved him. Her last entry was dated just before her death, and told of the coming surprise that would change their lives.

Ororo had learned just after the trip to the Bayou that first time “ when they’d become engaged “ that she was pregnant. They were overjoyed and perhaps a touch terrified when they learned of the upcoming birth. Prita, of course, had no idea what was happening, but she loved to lay her head on her mother’s swelling belly.

Closing tired eyes against the sulfur-filled air, Logan continued the internal monologue he’d kept up with ‘Ro’s diary and his own memories.

~**~

Logan speaks:

Time’s comin’. Been waitin’ for it. Since the day she left me, I’ve been waitin’ fer this day. I just wish I had time to go back through the rest of those years together.

Where’d we leave off? Oh, right. The baby. Right after Kitty and Pete got hitched, ‘Ro went to have her yearly X-Men physical to declare her fit for active duty. Trust me, I think Hank near had a heart attack when he came outta the office, tellin’ Storm an’ me that we were gonna have a baby.

I think I almost died in that moment. Her eyes filled with tears an’ she hugged me. I felt like my life was jus’ startin’. I had ‘Ro, Prita, and a new baby on the way. I don’t think anythin’ coulda topped that moment.

Coupla weeks later, Papa Jean flew out an’ ‘Ro had her simple wedding on the lakeshore. I can still see her dress, if I close my eyes. It was white, just like her hair. One of those tube-like tops, showin’ off her shoulders. Fell to the ground. She wasn’t wearin’ shoes. She was carryin’ a buncha lilacs in her hands. Her hair was up in a pretty bun thing.

She was smilin’. My heart might as well’ve dropped right outta my ass. There wasn’t nothin’ so beautiful in the world. I’ve seen the whole damn world, an’ I know it’s true.

We had a boy a few months later. Happy an’ healthy. Named him Charles, cause Xavier brought us together. Two years later, we had another one. He was a tiny thing, always was, but we named him Hank.

Hank McCoy…man, I miss old Blue. He passed on right before Little Hank was born. Took a bullet from an anti-mutant bastard. ‘Ro took it hard, but we kept on goin’. Its what she always did best. Survivin’.

Prita, Hank, and Charlie were the light of our life. We kept on with the mutant-equality fight, but our major concern was the kids. They were fuckin’ beautiful an’ drove me nuts, let me just say. The shit those three could get into was insanity. Kept ‘Ro an’ me on our toes.

One-Eye got sick just after Prita’s tenth birthday. Cancer. How’s that fer ironic? Spent his days in danger an’ cancer kicks his ass. Didn’t take long, but the poor guy was in some serious pain at the end. He held my hand when he died. Jeannie musta been waitin’ for him, cause he smiled like the sun just came up. I miss that fucker. I miss him more than any of the others, except maybe my wife.

After One-Eye left us, ‘Ro had another baby. What a surprise, we named him Scott. ‘Ro never got over losin’ Jean an’ losin’ Scott was almost worse. I still say Scott lived on in my son. There were times he’d look at me…an’ I’d swear it was One-Eye.

Been so long…I’ve been alone for two millennia. Two thousand years. Never thought I’d live that long. Never thought I’d see everythin’ I’ve seen. I watched my beautiful wife grow old. She died like she shoulda, an old woman warm in her bed. She used ta say she envied my youth, but I know she only hated leavin’ me alone.

I wasn’t alone. Even when Magneto and Chuck passed on “ died of old age, on the same damn day, go figure “ I still had my kids. Kitten and Peter’s kids. Gambit an’ Rogue’s adopted little ones…whole new generations of mutants. We kept the school runnin’ for about three hundred years. We won the right to live, us mutants, but we tended to prefer livin’ apart a bit.

After the school closed an’ my kids were gone, I kept an eye on my grandbabies and great-grandbabies. Ain’t another soul in the world can say they’d watched their line begin an’ then die out. I can. Just me. I followed the line of my kids to the end, bout five years ago when the last was killed in a small meteor shower.

I don’t know what year it is, exactly. But age finally caught up with me. I figured it out, though. I age…just real slow. If I were translatin’ my age into normal human, I’d be about the same as ‘Ro was when she left me.

God, I miss her. I’ve missed her every second of every day. She made me promise I wouldn’t do nothin’ drastic. ‘Have to play it out, my Logan’, she said. I did. Been alone way too fuckin’ long and if Prita hadn’t kept a close eye on her old man, I mighta done somethin’ stupid those first awful years.

Hell, more meteors. Damn, they’re gettin’ close. It’s almost time. I’m comin’, baby.

I didn’t off myself, obviously. It was fascinatin’ to watch my kids and all grow up. We had doctors an’ scientists in our line. We had authors an’ musicians, teachers, lovers, wives, husbands…parents. My family was fuckin’ awesome. More than I expected. I’m damn proud of what ‘Ro an’ I started.

Here I am, alone at the end of the world. Jean, Scott, Marie, Remy, Hank, Chuck, Kitten, Peter…they’re all here with me. My other family. That’s why I had to move ‘em. I wanted them here, when it was time to go. None of it’ll be here long, but this is where I belong.

I think this place is where the school used to be. Nothin’s been here a long time, the earth already took it back. But it’s pretty, it’s home.

Oh, finally. Here it comes. I’m goin’ home.

I’m comin’ home, ‘Ro. I’m comin’ home.


~**~

There was no pain.

One moment Logan was looking into the torn sky, watching the rain of fire coming toward his old body. There was a sharp pinch, and then nothingness. He feared, for a moment, that his ancient past had caught up with him. He was going to hell.

Then, there was light. Soft glowing that shone down on him. He looked to his hands, which had grown wrinkled and spotted as time took its toll on him. Now, however, they were youthful and strong. No more aches and pains that came at the end of life. Not anymore.

Logan glanced around him, noting the semi-corporeal forms of people he knew. Tears welled in his eyes as Jeannie and Scott waved to him, the others standing with happy smiles on their faces all around him.

A lump formed in his throat when he saw his children, gone so long, standing before him. Prita, his beautiful daughter. Charles, the first son who had been so like his father. Hank, a soft, darling boy with his mother’s eyes. And Scottie, proud, accomplished, and the perfect blend of mother and father.

He touched each of their cherished faces, remembering in an instant the lifetimes he had shared with them. Prita and her husband were surrounded by their children. His sons stood with their respective families. Logan and Ororo’s legacy was gathered here, waiting for him.

And then, out of that same, welcoming light, he saw her. No longer was she an old woman, smiling weakly from a warm bed. His lost wife was as he, young and forever beautiful. Logan moved as the crowd parted to allow him passage. He hoped this was not another dream. It was too real, too wonderful.

For the first time in two thousand years, he heard a voice that had been his salvation for a mere fifty-seven.

“Welcome home, my Logan. I have been waiting for you.”

She took him into his arms. Logan fell into her embrace and he could distantly hear the sound of Johnny Cash on an ancient record player as they began to dance. Her eyes met his, shining with the love and promise of eternity he had wished for every lonesome day.

Warmth suffused his cold soul in her arms, the feeling of being home again a salve on the pain he had endured to survive.
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=1784