While You Were Out by OriginalCeenote
Summary: The School for Gifted Youngsters has seen a lot of casualties in the wake of the Cure. One of their number is about to return to the fold, only to find that everything’s changed. Movieverse, after X3, AU, off-canon; there are some references to X2. Marvel owns the characters, but they aren’t getting my money anymore.
Categories: NC-17 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 95961 Read: 38221 Published: 07-14-06 Updated: 09-06-06

1. Empty by OriginalCeenote

2. Things That Go Bump in the Night by OriginalCeenote

3. Red Carpet by OriginalCeenote

4. Red Carpet, Part Two – Dust by OriginalCeenote

5. Prodigal by OriginalCeenote

6. Prodigal, Part Two – Lost, and Then Found by OriginalCeenote

7. Busy Signals by OriginalCeenote

8. House Sitting by OriginalCeenote

9. That Old, Lived-In Feeling… by OriginalCeenote

10. Unwelcome by OriginalCeenote

11. Interlopers by OriginalCeenote

12. Overstaying Your Welcome by OriginalCeenote

13. Epilogue by OriginalCeenote

Empty by OriginalCeenote
Alkali Lake, mid-afternoon:


Tree shadows dappled the forest floor and scattered across the dirt path; the solitary man shivered slightly in spite of the hazy sunlight, huddling further into his dark gray wool peacoat. He was a complex man who enjoyed complex questions, and he pondered a few as pine needles crunched under the soles of his black combat boots. If a tree falls in the forest and if no one’s around to hear it, does it make a sound? His years in the United States Army had found him occasionally digging latrines and foxholes, burying fallen comrades and cutting down trees, and the ground shook beneath him with a satisfying crash that startled the birds from their nests every time one of those majestic beauties was brought down.

The assumption that could be made was that if birds in the sky bore witness to the demise of the tree, taking wing upon its deafening roar, then man could assume that tree made a sound, whether he was there to bear witness to it or not. He had bore witness to the deaths of his comrades, and his God smote him for his foolish pride in worldly things.

It was time to set things right.

Sometimes, the scars still chafed and itched with phantom pains; he rubbed the grooves in his hands distractedly as he made his way to the lake shore. The lapping water beckoned him, triggering the memories.

The sounds of his own hoarse screaming. Of crumbling concrete and rock and rushing water. Like Jonah hurled from the belly of the whale, he’d lived to testify and bear witness again, stronger and more willing than ever to take up the yoke of his Lord.

Ophelia. The red-haired mutant mind witch had looked like Ophelia reveling in her madness, hair streaming as she made her final journey down the river, he mused, rebuked by her true love. He scolded himself; she hadn’t been mad. Damned, certainly, and the world was a better place with one less mutant walking among the righteous. The vision burned in his mind of her hair licking up around her preternaturally beautiful face like a halo of fire, golden flames shooting from her eyes plagued his sleep. His breath caught in his throat, even as he counted the gulps of air that he sucked into his lungs, never knowing which would be his last as the dam disintegrated and released the deluge upon him as a final judgment.

Amid the flashes of memory and his life flashing before his eyes, she turned to him and smiled. He couldn’t have imagined it. With a minute gesture, she waved him away and turned back to the task at hand, staring down the crashing wall of water as though she were blocking midday traffic.

He had struggled within the steel links, fighting for some purchase, some flaw in the chain, a point of weakness that would allow his escape. He found none. The Wolverine’s cruel sneer was all the mercy he received when he called out to him, offering him the treasure of his past, of his memories before the experiment.

He’d made him everything he was, given him everything that he had, and the bastard thanked him by turning his back. Leaving him to die. An old Irving Berlin anthem drifted through his thoughts, and he hummed the tune in a surprisingly pleasant baritone. God bless America, he chuckled.

God bless his cause.

He removed his glasses and polished them on the sleeve of his coat to clear them of the faint mist that collected on the lenses. Ever since the complex was buried under tons of rock, a light fog perpetually draped the lake. The man who had sold him the map to his hunting cabin had leaned in close, muttering “Word around the campgrounds is that the rocks around the Alkali actually float.” He rang him up as he gathered up his steaming, covered cup of coffee and a French cruller. His eyes narrowed like a naughty schoolboy’s right before firing a spitball at the backs of the hapless as he added “Folks say it was muties that did it. They’re ta blame fer all the crazy shit that goes on in these hills.” He just smiled in a manner indicating that he got the punchline and nodded his goodbye.

The lapping water was one of the only sounds that greeted him as he approached the enormous basin. It was as though everything living had abandoned it, not daring to brave another disaster, natural or man-made. He trekked along the shore, approaching a small jetty of quartz-speckled rock. He ventured all the way out to its tip, glad of the thick rubber soles of his boots that gave him traction on the slippery stones. His silvery gray eyes scanned the water, looking for any sign…

What was that?

He squinted and removed his glasses for a moment, as though he didn’t trust them to assure him of what he was seeing.

There was a hole in the water. No, he corrected himself, a crater. It was glowing beneath the water, almost an eerie gold radiance winking up at him. He rubbed his eyes impatiently and went to replace his spectacles “

“Ow! Shit!” Something struck him right between the eyes before he could protect himself.

“What in God’s name…” The floating gray pebble drifted away after bouncing off his forehead, carried away on the air currents that felt almost heavy as they enveloped and stroked him. He felt a chill rush through him that had nothing to do with the damp fog. His eyes darted about, looking for something, anything solid, anything grounded. Something tangible. He spied a loose crag of gray stone jutting up from the jetty, and he frantically pried it loose, letting the unseen presence strengthen him, guiding his hand as he hefted it and flung it into the watery orb of light. The splash was hollow and deep, and he waited for something “ anything “ to happen.

He didn’t have to wait long.

It was like watching Moses part the Red Sea… The water rushed and flowed in a tinkling patter, gradually increasing to a deafening roar as it funneled and swirled away from the nexus. The wind picked up, whistling in his ears and nipping at his flesh, leaving his nose red-tipped as the spray of the water dampened his cheeks. The water sluiced and ebbed away from the hollow in a narrow funnel, nearly solid as the glow brightened further, beckoning to him. The water divided itself as neatly as sand plowed by a child’s shovel.

William stepped off the jetty, unable to heed any call but that which moved his feet toward the nexus. The corridor of water rippled and pulsed on either side of him, threatening to engulf him, and his heart slammed in his chest with the insanity of it all, but he never broke his stride. He reached the swirling orb of golden light and reached into it…

Energy flowed through him, burning him, shocking every cell in is body as he spasmed with a mixture of pain and fear. His thoughts fell apart as the memories flowed unchecked, overwhelming him with their intensity. “AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!” He had been wrong about the lack of life in the surrounding woods, he mused, one of his last coherent thoughts before he passed out, the calls of birds in flight shrieking overhead.

The sun had shifted in the sky, and he never found out how long he lay there. When he woke up, the radiance had dissipated, and he clutched at the still hollow crater’s rim; his fingers scrabbled against something that made a metallic clinking sound against the bare lake bottom. His blurred vision gradually cleared.

He came fully awake with a start, still surrounded by the walls of solid water. Algae and tiny minnow-like fish darted and floated through the mass, mocking him from their liquid cage, triggering an unnerving memory of when he and his wife took Jason through the Shark Tunnel at Marine World when he was five. He hoisted himself up onto his elbows, no mean feat since he was pinning himself to the ground in his long, stiff coat, and he peered down at the shining gold object, stroking it with his fingertip.

It was a one-carat engagement ring. Tarnished, obviously, from its immersion for who knew how many months…yet he knew. He’d been counting the days since he was washed ashore, nearly dead from hypothermia and exhaustion. He plucked the treasure from its resting place and examined it, turning it this way and that. The diamond still shone, throwing prisms of color across his weather-beaten flesh. Out of habit, he turned the ring at an angle to better read the inscription.

To the love of my life, forever. Scott.

William grunted under his breath as he shakily rose to his feet, tucking the tidbit into his pocket. He almost paused to go, until something else caught his eye. He bent down, squinting through his glasses, and once again denied what his eyes were seeing.

Fiery strands of hair, red as new copper.

“Do not ignore the clamor of your adversaries, the uproar of your enemies, which rises continually,” he murmured, pinching up the fragile filaments and admiring how they, too, refracted the light. He told himself that wasn’t a frisson of heat and energy darting up through his fingertips, making him tingle.

He folded the hairs within a crumpled Kleenex and tucked them into his breast pocket, next to his blackened heart.

William Stryker had a new mission.

He clambered back up onto the jetty. As though sensing his departure, the corridor of water collapsed in crashing waves. He never looked back.


Westchester County, Graymalkin Lane, later that same afternoon:

“We were here first!” Kitty’s hazel brown eyes blazed with indignant wrath at the culprits as she stared down at them from their stolen perch on the couch. Marie and Jubilee stood in almost identical poses behind her, feet spread and planted, arms crossed under their breasts, completely implacable. Bobby met her look with a stare that dripped innocence, as though butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth. It didn’t hurt that butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth, anyway, due to his mutation. His light blue eyes twinkled at her, Kitty decided. That was definitely a twinkle.

He was soooooooo dead.

“What? YOU were here FIRST?” He swiveled around and looked behind him at the sofa’s upholstery and ran his hands over the plush cushions. “Hm. Ya know, I don’t see your names written on here anywhere.” He wiggled his backside experimentally, his eyebrows dropping lower on his forehead, trying out a look of consternation that Kitty didn’t buy for a second. “Nope. The cushions feel pretty cold, Kitty Cat, and I don’t feel your butt prints on ‘em, either. I could be wrong. ‘Course, the only way I could tell is to get a closer look at the butt in question that occupied this couch last, and see if the indentation matches ““

“Don’t even go there, sugah,” Marie huffed, her walnut brown eyes narrowed into slits as she flicked her hair over her shoulder. “Ya might end up with a closer look at mah foot before I kick yer hiney outta here! We’ve had this DVD from Blockbuster for four days already, today’s the fifth day, and we ain’t seen it yet, with y’all hoggin’ the set ta watch yer usual man drivel like Ultimate Fightin’ an’ Overhaulin’. Ah need mah George Clooney fix. Ya won’t stand between three women and their Clooney DVD if ya wanna stay healthy, shoog,” she purred, favoring him with a reptilian smile that managed to send a chill up his spine…again, no mean feat, considering…

“Yeah,” Jubilee snarled, blowing a large pink bubble with her gum before crackling it between her teeth, “what she said.”

“Oooh, we’re soooooo scared,” Peter drawled, winking saucily at Kitty. She was almost as young as his kid sister Illyana, but she was mature beyond her years. And she was so cute when she was mad. Despite his taunt, Peter knew she’d find a way to get back at them during their next Danger Room session, like phasing him through a tank and leaving him there. But the danger was half the fun. He liked her too much.

“Sure, keep smiling, Shiny Pants,” Jubilee snapped. “It’s our turn for the den and the TV.”

The Julio Cesar Chavez match created background noise for was quickly becoming a heated scrap in the den. Jimmy was the only one less interested the jibes Bobby exchanged with the girls as his eyes stayed glued to the wide plasma screen, making the boxers look larger than life.

“You got up, we came in here and the den was empty,” Bobby shot back, holding out his hands helplessly, indicating the seats that he, Peter, Warren, Sam and Jimmy were occupying, lounging with outstretched legs and propped up feet like they hadn’t a care in the world. “Finders keepers. We left you the bean bag. Or feel free to take up that little space on the floor, it can’t be too uncomfortable.” He waggled his brows at Marie, “You could sit on my lap if you felt like it, Beautiful!”

“Fat chance!” Not that the idea of sitting on Bobby’s lap was so bad, but not in front of his goofball friends.

“Then I guess we’ll just have to take all this tasty junk food upstairs and hog it all to ourselves,” a smooth, slightly accented voice purred from the doorway. The luscious smell of buttered popcorn drifted across the den, making everyone’s mouth water as Sage cocked a brow at the drama unfolding before her. “Kitty, don’t you have that DVD on your PC in your room?” Dani Moonstar hovered behind her, the plastic wrapper of the packet of Twizzlers crackling in her hand as she juggled that and a bag of Lays KC Masterpiece BBQ chips, a six-pack of Mug Root Beer and a box of Little Debbie vanilla crème cakes with the little chocolate zebra stripes that Bobby suddenly craved as soon as he spied it. Peter could have sworn he heard Warren’s stomach growling from the other end of the couch, and he looked him in the eye, communicating with him “telepathically.”

It’s just a chick flick; they’ve got the goodies, and we’ve got Tivo. Our bases are covered, man. Warren grinned and nodded before he got up from the loveseat, giving his wings a brief flutter as he beckoned to the now-vacant spot.

“Ladies…” He gave Jubilee a dramatic bow as she made her way to the love seat, rolling her eyes at the silly gesture. His wings, broad shouldered build and wavy blond hair did give him a certain gallant look, she decided, but she’d never admit it out loud.

“Yer such a tool,” she tsked, cracking her gum. Sage and Dani swept in and deposited the snacks on the coffee table before Jimmy offered to go get more soda and an extra chair from the dining room. Dani lay on her stomach on the floor as Bobby had suggested earlier, since she wasn’t all that picky. She was surprised when Sam joined her a moment later, nudging her elbow with a cold can of root beer. She slid her popcorn bowl closer to him, mutely thanking him with a quirk of her lips.

Marie and Bobby eventually did end up economizing space on the couch to make room for Peter and Kitty, and Marie burrowed further into Bobby’s casual embrace from her perch on his lap as they split a Twizzler. The students settled in to watch Out of Sight with no further skirmish.


Upstairs:

Dust motes floated in the fading sunlight streaming in through Ororo’s skylight as she ran her rag across the dresser, giving it a fresh coat of lemon-scented Pledge. She blamed her busy schedule and frequent training sessions for the way she’d let her loft go these past few weeks. She hardly had any time to just come up and contemplate her day from her balcony or listen to her favorite songs on her iPod anymore. Things were just too hectic.

And those were just the most superficial reasons why she missed Scott and Charles.

Things were finally beginning to shape up, she mused, taking in her efforts and deciding that it was good enough. All of her pictures, side tables, stereo cabinets and bookshelves were free of the thick coat of dust that had settled there, and her hardwood floor shone with the brisk “Swiffering” she’d given it earlier. Her throw rugs smelled fresh after she finished beating them over the edge of the balcony, and the faint scents of Clorox and Lysol wafted out from her suite’s bathroom, now spotless from a hearty scrubbing. At least now it was fit for man or beast.

…it just didn’t feel like home again yet. It was strange and disconcerting, not having Jean’s presence in her thoughts. While Jean made it a practice of respecting Ororo’s need for privacy, the longtime friends maintained an empathic link, courtesy of Jean’s telepathy, that allowed each of them to be a barometer of the other’s mood. Ororo needed only feel that odd sense of unease tingling up and down her arms, making the sky overhead darken ominously to know that Jean was projecting through her. Her response inevitably involved grabbing her favorite leather jacket and car keys and kidnapping Jean from her suite to head to the ice cream parlor in downtown Salem for some mocha almond fudge therapy. Jean had shared a similar link with Scott, but it ran deeper, almost devastating in its intensity. While Jean and Ororo merely linked feeling and impressions, exchanging the occasional secret like sisters, Jean and Scott shared one soul. Between the mischievous telepath and brooding force-beam wielding loner, nothing was secret. Jean didn’t just occupy Scott’s thoughts, she resided in his mind, twenty-four-seven.

Ororo shuddered, attempting to put the lid on her imagination before it took her somewhere she had no desire to be. She didn’t want to contemplate how empty Scott must have felt for those last few months after they’d lost Jean at Alkali. His sorrow…his rage rolled off of him in waves whenever they were in the same room together, and the only name Ororo could give to how it felt to face him everyday was ashamed.

She should have done more, tried harder to fight against Jean’s hold of the Blackbird’s bay doors…or used her winds to hold back the tides once the dam broke…or summoned a cyclone to pull them out of there, pulling Jean along with them. Anything.

Anything, damn it!

Ororo sucked in air through her nostrils as a clammy sweat broke out across her flesh. The cleaning rag dropped from her nerveless fingers and she felt what she’d described to Hank as a “crunching” feeling in her temples before her vision was fogged by a field of static. The room spun as she stumbled back over to her bed, collapsing against it like someone had cut her strings. She bowed her face into her palms and cupped them, panting out longer, deeper breaths to fight the growing panic, but her fingertips still felt cold.

“Bright Lady…hate this. I hate this,” she hissed. Pull yourself together, Wind-Rider.

The stairs leading up to her attic creaked with familiar footfalls. Even though Peter was the biggest man in the house, Logan walked the heaviest thanks to “the remarkable metal that ran through his entire body.” She’d know his footsteps anywhere. Even when he managed to sneak up on her, she always sensed the change in the room or wherever she was, like a sixth sense, when he was near. She made him smirk with snide laughter once when he’d failed to startle her one day after remarking to him “You’re slipping, old man. You’d be better off trying to pull the whiskers off a sleeping cat.”

Logan had been minding his own business, just tossing down the small black comb that he’d flicked haphazardly through his hair after his shower before he headed upstairs to tell Ororo that he was going out. Hank was puttering around in his lab in the basement, Peter was lollygagging in the den, watching the fight, and Ororo mumbled something about doing a little spring cleaning, so that left enough adults on duty to tend the flock and keep the rugrats in check.

His senses gave him pause as he neared Ororo’s door. He smelled panic, heard her struggling gasps and heart slamming in her chest and didn’t bother to knock.

“Storm?”

Whoa. Not good. He rushed over to the edge of her bed and dropped to his knees, reaching out gently to clasp her wrist in his beefy hand.

“Storm,” he inquired, louder and with more determination this time, “talk t’me. Whatsamatter?” He tugged gently on her wrist to cajole her into looking at him. Mutely she shook her head, still shielding her face from his gaze, her thick white hair swishing with the motion. His fingers itched to touch it, and he indulged himself for a brief moment, tenderly stroking aside a lock that had fallen over her hands.

Miserable, bloodshot brown eyes glimmered up at him as she slid her hands low enough to meet his. Her breathing was sharper still as she fought to regulate it, and her shoulders were heaving with the effort.

“Shit,” he huffed, frowning as he recognized the emotions he found there. He knew a full-fledged panic attack when he came across one. He released her reluctantly and rushed into her bathroom, looking for a cup or anything else that he could use for water. He settled on one of Ororo’s slate blue washcloths lying neatly folded on the counter, and he dashed it under the cold faucet, yanking the spigot shut with a jerky twist. He wrung it out and hurried back and laid the rag against her nape, nearly jumping as she jerked back from his touch. Her eyes were glazed but frightened as she regarded him.

“D-don’t,” she pleaded. “Don’t ha-have to be h-here, Logan…m’fine, j-just go, please,” she insisted. She propped herself up, leaning her elbows against her knees and she fanned cool air onto her cheeks. Her skin gleamed in the fading light, and florid color rose up in angry spots on her cheekbones.

“Bullshit. Ya call this fine? Ya sure ain’t,” he growled, stroking her arm with far less menace, trying to quiet the shivers running through her. She shut her eyes to ward off the persistent dizziness and let her face fall forward, nearly tucking her chin into her chest as Logan moved up, kneading the knotted muscles in her shoulders. With more care and gentleness than she thought him capable of, he reached for the rag and gripped her chin, raising her face up for his inspection. She felt him drag it in smooth swipes across her cheeks and forehead, swabbing her neck and wiping her hair off her face. She was equally surprised when he blew a cool breath of air against her skin, and she let her eyes flutter shut reflexively at the caress. Bit by bit, she began to relax, and the tension thrumming through her torso eased. Logan was finally satisfied when her breathing began to settle back into its customary rhythm.

“Shit, Storm,” he grumbled, uncurling her fingers and tucking the damp rag into it before he rose, shaking his head at her with resignation, “ya’ve gotta calm the fuck down.” His hackles rose as he heard the winds whipping up outside, making the latch on Ororo’s skylight clatter.

“I’ll take that under advisement,” she gritted out, shooting him a glare that reminded him of a kitten being dried off after a flea dip. He reached out for her again as she stood, but backed off when she waved away his assistance. Ororo stalked back to the bathroom and chucked the washcloth into the sink before she came out. She rummaged through her desk drawer and found the pack of Trident spearmint gum she was searching for. She unwrapped a piece and popped it into her mouth, chewing it furiously. The sharp mint stung her palate and felt cool in her cheeks.

“Gum?” he questioned.

“Helps,” she shot back.

“Hm. ‘Kay.” Logan rubbed his palms against his faded Levi’s as he studied her. Yup, the old prickly Ice Britches was back and in fine form. “Have it yer way, Boss. I’m goin’ out. Don’t wait up.”

“Why should I be surprised? Of course, shoo! Chop, chop! Hop onto Scott’s bike and make yourself scarce, it’s what your good at,” she carped, whirling to face him. The haunted look was gone, only to be replaced by disgusted impatience. She raked her eyes over him savagely, taking in his perfectly broken in jeans that hugged him in all of the right places, the equally worn black leather boots, and the royal blue flannel shirt, unbuttoned enough to reveal his white wife beater and the tempting sprinkle of curling dark hair peeking over the neckline. Logan watched her throat work as she swallowed, and he hoped she didn’t choke on her gum next; he’d hate to have her cuss him out after giving her the Heimlich, especially after she’d just read him the riot act about how she was “fine.” She mentally kicked herself for staring too long, enjoying his roughnecked, rugged good looks and piercing stare.

He chafed slightly as the words “Scott’s bike” escaped her lips, and she realized her faux pas at roughly the same time, if the way she plowed her fingers through her rumpled waves of hair was any indication, right before she stared down at her bare feet.

“Awright. I’m outta here, since I ain’t needed.” He turned away and had his hand on the knob before she steeled herself, wondering where her manners had gone, and called out to him.

“Wolverine,” he heard her cry, her voice plaintive; perhaps even apologetic.

“Yeah?”

“I…I’m sorry. You came up here to let me know you were on your way out. I appreciate it.” She dragged her hand from her hair to the nape of her neck, kneading it thoughtfully. “You’ve been working hard. Having you here to take over my classes until we get another instructor has been a real blessing, and I’ve been too buried in paperwork and picking up where Charles left off to say thank you.” Self-consciously she tucked a lock of hair behind her ear beneath his stare. The memory of his fingers stroking her skin and tipping her face to meet his still lingered; she couldn’t shake the feel of his touch, even though she wanted to.

“What, no speech?” he shrugged, letting her off the hook more easily than she deserved. “No telling me ‘if yer with us, then be with us?’ Ya scare me when ya just go all quiet on me, ‘Roro, ya really do. I’m even up here in yer little sanctorium,” he chuckled, spreading his arms at her freshly cleaned loft, “without ya jumpin’ down my throat or chewin’ my ass about how y’aren’t ta be disturbed, since yer on call every other moment of the day. When ya don’t lecture me or cuss me out, I know something’s wrong.”

“The Wolverine shows concern for his fellow teammate!” she gasped, aghast. “It’s the seventh sign of the apocalypse! Say your prayers, one and all!” She shoved her narrow feet into her baby blue velour house slippers and shimmied into a pair of flannel pyjama bottoms for decency’s sake as she preceded him out of her loft, bouncing down the steps. Logan was slightly put out that she covered up his view of her lithe legs revealed by the form-fitting white cotton camisole and tiny little cotton pyjama shorts, but he still had a good view of the curve of her derriere and tiny waist. Sure, she was team leader, headmistress of a school for young mutant geeks and she looked at him like he was something she wiped off the sole of her boots, but she sure was easy on the eyes.

It didn’t help matters when he was trying to be annoyed with her, or vice versa, that she smelled so goddamned good. It wasn’t an overly girly scent, or the overpowering stink of perfume, he decided; it was the natural pheromones of her flesh, mingled with hint of sandalwood and lavender. Even when they’d first met, and they each stood locked in the other’s gaze, without any trace of the hard-won trust that characterized their friendship now, he couldn’t help but enjoy her scent. Jean’s striking beauty filled his vision, but he found himself craving more of that caramel-skinned woman’s delicate fragrance who’d taken her leave as soon as Charles ordered him into his study.

“So yer fine now?”

“Yes. Fit as a fiddle. Go. Enjoy yourself, my friend.” They’d reached the main floor, and Ororo was already halfway to the refrigerator, rummaging through the upper shelf for her Arizona Green Tea with Honey. She grabbed it and purloined a plate and a few Golden Oreos from the cupboard as an impromptu dinner.

“Great example ta set for the kids,” he grumbled.

“They can do bad all by themselves; I saw Sage and Dani coming back in from their trip to the 7-11. They’ve bought enough junk food to feed a third world country,” she grinned.

“Ya don’t hafta encourage it.”

“I’m not taking nutritional advice from a man who lives on a steady diet of sugar cereal, bacon, beer and cigars,” she flounced, taking a pull from her bottle of tea. “And I’m just not that hungry,” she added as an afterthought.

“Eh. Sure.” That worried him, too. Lately mealtimes found Ororo playing mother hen, ladling food onto the children’s plates and then making herself scarce. A half-slice of toast, the occasional apple, or a cup of coffee regular were all he ever saw her grab before she escaped to Charley’s old office to go over paperwork and student files. Those pretty fawn brown eyes of hers had dark smudges under them that only added to his worry. “Storm?”

“Yes, Wolverine?” His use of her codename was to get her attention, she knew, and she baited him with his own, almost as though she were spoiling for an argument. The prospect of going a few rounds with him warmed her; it would keep him in the kitchen a little longer.

“Quit lettin’ yerself get so wound up. Don’t keep all this shit to yerself. If ya wanna talk, then talk.” He absently patted his pockets for his keys, heard their telltale jingle, then met her eyes again. “One-Eye wasn’t the only pair of ears in this joint. I know ya were close, and ya miss him, an’ all, but…”

“I miss all of them,” she corrected him, her voice back on edge. “You haven’t been here that long, Wolverine, so I don’t expect you to know what I had in Jean, Charles and Scott.” Ororo emphasized the last two names so her intent would be clear. He’d made it obvious where his loyalties lay that fateful night that they’d boarded the Blackbird and set their destination for Alcatraz Island. She unscrewed the top from her Oreo and licked the beige wafer thoughtfully. Logan’s gut tightened as he watched her little pink tongue dart out and lave the cookie, lapping up the white cream like the proverbial cat. He was roused from the sight by her dismissal by her next words. “Goodnight, Wolverine.”

“Yeah,” he huffed, stomping out the kitchen door,” goodnight.”

Stubborn, uppity frail. Fine, then. His favorite barstool at Harry’s and a bottle of Jack Daniels were calling his name. See if he cared.

Then he kicked himself. Of course he friggin’ cared. Like it or lump it, she’d gotten under his skin again. He rode to Harry’s, trying to find comfortable purchase around an erection that he could hang his hat on, shifting himself on the supple leather bike seat to no avail. Damn it.


Downstairs, sub-basement level, Dr. McCoy’s lab:

Hank studied the rock samples that Ororo had brought back from Alkali Lake the same day that she and Logan retrieved Jean from the shore. For the past few weeks, between teaching literature classes at the Institute and holding meetings with the Secretary of Defense, Hank had been tinkering with the samples, scraping off specimens and studying them more closely under the microscopes and various examination arrays, trying to make sense of the energy readings they still emitted, even with Jean deceased. He placed the rock sample in the Petri dish, then placed the wafer-thin plastic lid over it to keep the rock from bobbing out. Hank keyed in a few commands and adjusted the magnification, then switched to different modes of scan.

He turned away after several minutes, rubbing his eyes in exhaustion. Blast. Nothing. He kept coming up empty. He sighed, then turned away from the monitor to peer at the old pair of ruby quartz goggles that Scott used to use during Danger Room sessions and everyday use, when his visor was too bulky. Hank hung them like a talisman from the hook on the wall, and as a makeshift memorial to his oldest friend. The fluorescent lamps shone on the lenses, making their crimson surfaces wink at him. Out of recent habit, Hank rose and stretched, letting his joints pop into more reasonable positions before he lumbered over to the hook. He plucked them off the wall and stroked the stems of the spectacles, making a rumbling sound in his throat.

“Hm.” A thought occurred to him “ he was a genius, so this happened pretty often “ that he hadn’t considered ruby quartz as a new element to his study, to examine the effects. He peered into the goggles, squinting his catlike yellow eyes, then slowly put them on.

“My stars and garters,” he exclaimed under his breath. “So this is what it was like, living in your world, my friend.” Everything glowed a brilliant red; in variegated depths of shade, granted, but red nonetheless. He returned to his specimen and bent down to look at it again through the lens.

Oh, my. This changes everything.

The pebble was webbed with a tiny, glowing network of crimson filaments, wavering and interconnecting like a hive of ants. The rock itself wasn’t what was remarkable, so much as the force that animated it.

As much as he hated to drop one more quandary onto Ororo’s overloaded plate, his feet padded upstairs to show her his findings.
Things That Go Bump in the Night by OriginalCeenote
If there was one thing that all of the teachers at the School for Gifted Youngsters had in common, as a result of their tenure at the Institute itself or out in the field as an active officer, it had to be insomnia. None of that tossing and turning for an hour before drifting off stuff. Ororo would qualify it as the caffeine high without the pleasure of the coffee itself; never-ending hours of questions left unanswered, “woulda-coulda-shoulda” solutions to the problems that plagued her during daylight hours, snappy comebacks she which would have jumped from her lips when she had remained silent, and the restless, fervent urge to paste Logan across the chops when she had the opportunity(ies).

“What, no speech?” Ororo mimicked to herself, in her best growly impersonation of the Canadian drifter. I don’t make that many speeches, she mused. Hmmph. Ororo tossed the covers from herself for about the third time that night and rolled out of her bed to crack open her window, letting in the low breeze that carried the scent of autumn leaves and a neighboring property’s wood fire with it. Jean had asked her once why she bothered with blankets on her bed if her mutation kept her warm, particularly if she was a claustrophobic; wouldn’t she feel less hemmed in without thick layers of cloth tangled up around her?

Ororo chose not to verbalize her answer, instead allowing Jean to tap into their empathy, and she telegraphed the feeling of her sheets and vellux blankets caressing her skin, and the satisfaction of the cool Egyptian cotton enhancing the experience of slipping into bed to rest her exhausted limbs after grueling Danger Room sessions or punishing missions. She deepened their connection, letting Jean tread further into the recesses of her mind to a different time and place. Jean gathered impressions of Ororo at a very young age. Crawling into her parents’ bed for protection from night terrors. The feel of her mother’s kaftan beneath her cheek when she would bundle her close for a nap, breathing in the scent of her mother’s lavender soap. The soft and wooly texture of her mother’s hair that she clutched like a security blanket whenever she sat on her lap. And finally, the shock of cold, hard concrete and crumpled metal digging into her tender body as she fought to reach any source of light and fresh air.

Soft textures and green, growing things were important to Ororo, and she surrounded herself with them whenever she could. Though she’d never admit it aloud, she was a sensualist. Rosy cheeks and perfectly windblown hair weren’t the only fringe benefits of her powers. Ororo craved the crisp, heady rush of the wind filling her lungs and lifting her off her feet, causing that little dip in her stomach as she left the ground. Flying wasn’t just a privilege; it was a religion. When she looked into the heavens, she didn’t just see clouds; she saw currents, light and energy rippling through the atmosphere in an intricate dance. Jean had been the only one who truly understood, but only through their rapport, and later, through her awareness of earth and space when her powers evolved beyond her grasp of control and understanding.

One didn’t just spawn the ability to make suns go supernova and devour the life of a planet without losing any semblance of sanity, after all. It had gone beyond the scope of human comprehension, being pulled into the noise of millions of thoughts and emotions, unable to filter it out, and knowing the only way to silence it was to end it all. Jean had discovered the universe compressed atop the point of a needle…and found herself pricked, wounded by its acute sting.

It still hurt.

Jean’s release of power tore through the fabric of the earth itself, jeopardizing Ororo’s precious bond with it, and she still shivered at the echo of Jean’s malevolent laughter in her thoughts as she bent the atmosphere “ Ororo’s lifeblood “ the earth, water and wind to her will, without a second thought. It was like embracing someone in love, only to come away bleeding, Caesar betrayed by Brutus. Their sisterhood hadn’t mattered any more in the long run than Scott’s devotion to her when she struck him down. Certainly the elephant cares nothing for the ant crawling along its flanks, but it chafed Ororo that in the end, nothing mattered enough. She hadn’t mattered enough.

And Logan, not Scott, had been the one to force her to look deeply enough within herself to see that she was out of control. Logan knew something about being out of control. It rankled that she felt such a keen sense of envy that he was the one to get through to her.

And that he shared her last thoughts and feelings, her dying breath when she expired in his arms. Selfishly, her traitorous heart adamantly shouted that He didn’t deserve that privilege. He was an interloper. He came to create unrest and raise questions and turn the order of things upside-down, topsy turvy.

Who did that potty-mouthed, roughnecked hothead think he was, anyway?

It wasn’t difficult for Logan to fan the flames of resentment where she was concerned, all things considered. Ororo snatched up her pajama top and shrugged into it, leaving it open like a cardigan over her black cotton camisole. She skipped the pajama bottoms after peering at the digital display of her clock radio, noting that it was after one a.m. She didn’t expect Logan to come home until shortly before dawn, so she could sneak down to the kitchen, looking like someone’s cousin Boo, without any sly, smirky glances from those rumpled, shaggy eyebrows.

The kitchen was plunged into near-total darkness, except for the range top light over the stove. It cast its glow over the fixtures and appliances and gave her more than enough light to reach the refrigerator. The noise from the door’s seal separating from the vinyl and the slightly squealing hinge evoked a startled gasp that nearly scared Ororo out of her own skin.

“Ohmigod!” a breathy, deep female voice exclaimed. “Whoozzat!” Ororo’s eyes adjusted quickly to the darkness, picking out the tall, slender form of Dani Moonstar, clutching her tea cup to her chest.

“It’s just me,” Ororo reassured her, turning to stand in the glow of the refrigerator bulb, opening the door more widely to shed more light. She nearly laughed at Dani’s exaggerated look of relief, closing her eyes as she smoothed a stray lock of hair from her face. Dani made a striking picture, dressed in tiny cotton sleep shirts and a white wifebeater tank top that revealed burnished skin and endlessly long, supple limbs. Years of living on a farm left her with a more fit physique than most of the incoming students who hadn’t yet taken up Logan’s training regime and combat training. Dani’s hair hung long and unfettered from its normal plaits, its glossy black waves a rippling spill that fell over her breasts and reached past her waist. Her walnut-shaped eyes squinted at Ororo as something occurred to her. “What are you doing up, Miss Munroe?”

“I can be Miss Munroe in my office or the classroom,” she corrected her gently. “The rest of the time, I’m Ororo. Especially when I’m in my PJs,” she pointed out. Dani rolled her eyes and giggled.

“Gotcha.” She shook the box of tea bags in her hand, beckoning “I was gonna make some tea, you want some?”

“What kind?”

“Mint chamomile,” she replied, already reaching into the cupboard for another mug, an easy task since at five-nine, she was an a couple of inches taller than Ororo. “Let me put the kettle on. You still never told me,” she accused.

“Excuse me?”

“Why you’re up. You never said why.”

“Oh. It’s nothing. I’m just very nocturnal sometimes. More so since moving into the headmaster’s office,” she explained, not wanting to reveal too much. Dani had a strong sense of empathy for people’s feelings, which surprised Ororo, since her first impression of the girl was one of being a loner, not unlike Logan. Minus the stomping, growling, and swearing, of course. Dani’s student file showed that her parents had died during a hunting accident when they were losing livestock on their spread to a grizzly bear roaming through the mountains where they lived. The file held precious few details on the death of her grandfather, who had taken his place as her legal guardian and notified the Professor of his wish to enroll her in the school once her powers manifested. When Scott and Professor Xavier had first met Danielle, she was wary and nervous, possessing none of the self-assured confidence or carefree humor that she’d developed since arriving at the school. There were days when shadows filled her eyes and she gave monosyllabic replies, shrugging off concern with typical, teenaged “MYOB” candor before heading out to Xavier’s stables. The horses and random deer that wandered the estate’s grounds and woods were the only thing that granted her a measure of surcease when things became frustrating. Ororo thought of the way that Logan had with shielding himself from animals or other prey; he was a natural born hunter. Dani, on the other hand, shared a link to animals that ran much, much deeper. She could actually talk to them.

“I wouldn’t call myself a night owl,” Dani qualified, “I just can’t sleep. Some nights, my nightmares are real doozies. If it was just my own nightmares, it wouldn’t be so bad.”

“Really? How do you mean?”

“I can tap into people’s fears or desires, at least the strong ones,” she explained, filling the kettle and setting it on the burner. She dug in the lazy susan and found the box of Danish sugar cubes, setting them on the butcher block table where Ororo had seated herself. She dug out the packet of vanilla cream-filled wafers from the pantry and joined her headmistress, relieved to have someone to unload a fraction of her burdens to. “Problem is, their psychic signature, and a residue of their emotions linger with me even after I break contact. Sometimes, their nightmares become MY nightmares. Doesn’t help when everyone here loves horror movies, I’ve pulled about ten different incarnations of the Boogey Man from the younger kids here, and every single one of ‘em has an appetite for elementary schoolers. Nasty,” she grimaced.

“The Boogey Man became real for me when I was a young girl,” Ororo mused, standing to retrieve the kettle when its shrill whistle disrupted the quiet of the kitchen. “Then I realized that just when I think I’ve slain one demon, there’s a few hundred more waiting to jump out at me around the corner.”

“Nice.” Dani tossed the tea bags into their cups and poured for them both. “Glad I’ve got something to look forward to.”

“We aim to please. What woke you tonight, Dani?”

“My own Boogey Man,” she quipped, wrinkling her nose. “I heard screams in my sleep. Growls. Saw claws and jagged teeth, and this huge, furry beast that wouldn’t stop chasing me.” She sipped her tea. “It never really stops chasing me.”

“I’m here when you need to talk about it,” Ororo offered.

“I know. You’re not in bed right now, either, so I lucked out!” Ororo smiled as she passed Dani the wafer packet.

“You won’t think you’re so lucky when you still have to go to Logan’s combat training in the morning, if you don’t get proper sleep.” Dani made a face.

“Geez…I know. He really rides us,” she grumped.

“He’s the best there is at what he does,” Ororo murmured into her cup.

“Does he actually say that, or is it just something we’re supposed to accept without argument?”

“Accept it without argument,” Ororo deadpanned, “if you want to stay all in one piece.” Then she recanted, “He isn’t that bad.”

“Yeah, right!” Dani snorted, entirely unconvinced.

“He wants all of us to be able to protect ourselves. That’s a big job. I want to protect you too,” she added.

“You’ve done your best,” Dani reasoned, furrowing her brow. Miss Munroe looked so sad all of the sudden.

“Sometimes it isn’t enough.” Ororo nibbled the corner off a cookie. “The most we can do here is give you the tools to handle your mutations and deal with the consequences. How you choose to live your life once you leave these halls is out of our hands, but in the meantime, I want what Professor Xavier wanted. I want you to have lives to live, hopefully in peace. This is meant to be a haven as well as a school.”

“Sure has been for me. This kept me out of foster care when Grandpa Black Eagle was killed,” Dani sighed. “Until I came here, I had nobody.” She was about to say something else when she heard a husky yawn from the doorway. Sam Guthrie stumbled in, rubbing his eyes and squinting when he recognized the two women at the table.

“Dani? What’re y’doin’ down here, gal? Oh, hi, Miz Munroe, didn’t expect ya ta be down here.” Sam suddenly looked sheepish to be caught in his unmentionables, or at the very least, in blue and white striped pajama bottoms and no shirt. He folded his arms across his ribs self-consciously, making Dani suppress a tiny smile. She didn’t feel so bad now about looking so sleep-tousled. In her opinion, she was a wreck.

Sam, on the other hand, silently admired her gleaming fall of hair and the way her thin undershirt hugged her slender body. So sue him, he was male. Dani could hold her own in a tussle, something he’d already found out in their practices, and he loved baiting and teasing her, since it was so easy to get a rise out of her. She gave as good as she got, though, and rode his butt about his need to “learn how to steer.”

Even so, he was cute, in an aw-shucks kind of Mom-and-apple pie kinda way…if that was your thing. His eyes, when he wasn’t being bashful, were soft and kind, and a clear robin’s egg blue. He was, though, the unfortunate owner of a buzz cut that revealed that his tiny hometown had only one barber to its name.

“Hello, Sam. I just came down for something to help me rest a little easier. Dani fixed us some tea.”

“We got any milk?” he asked.

“Sure do, bub, let me grab it,” Dani offered. He rubbed his neck awkwardly as she brushed past him, nodding for him to take up the chair beside hers at the table and opening the fridge. Her skin felt cool and smooth as she inadvertently bumped him, and he tried to suppress the flush in his cheeks (thank the Lord it was dark) and goosebumps running up his arm. “Can’t sleep?”

“Nope.”

“Bad dream? Stress?”

“All of the above, an’ then some, gal.” He grabbed the Spongebob glass from the cupboard, making Dani chuckle at his choice before she handed him the milk carton. “Sometimes Ah get this recurring nightmare about the day the mine collapsed around our ears, except mah powers didn’t work. Sucks,” he muttered.

“Man. That does,” Dani sympathized. She passed him the cookie packet, and he gratefully plucked out a few wafers.

“It was dark and hot, and stiflin’ as all get-out in those mines,” he continued. “Ah’m glad Ah ain’t doin’ that fer a livin’ anymore, but Ah still worry about Momma and mah kid brothers and sisters. Ah should be there.”

“Your mother wanted you to be here,” Ororo reminded him, “and you can visit her anytime. But in the meantime, we’re pleased to have you here, where you can learn and be safe.” She didn’t add “to the best extent that we can keep you that way.” After Stryker’s strike against the school two years ago, that wasn’t something she could claim with confidence anymore. That petrified her. “I don’t like closed up spaces much, either, Sam.”

“’Cuz ya like ta fly?”

“Yes. And I had an incident when I was young that made me a bit claustrophobic, but I won’t weigh you down with the details now. You have enough on your mind if you’re up at this hour for cookies and milk,” she jibed, eyeing them carefully. “I’m headed up now, you two. Sleep well. Don’t stay up too late,” she admonished with a warm smile. Dani and Sam murmured their goodnights to her before she swept upstairs. Their low voices followed her down the hall. It would be nice if they could foster a friendship. Sam’s strong sense of family and kinship would help fill the empty space left in Dani’s life by losing everyone she loved; Ororo could only hope the bond would be beneficial to them both.

Her sojourn to the kitchen hadn’t helped. Her eyes were still round as saucers in the dark, and that dratted man hadn’t come roaring up on Scott’s bike yet. Blast him!

…she really needed to stop thinking of it as Scott’s bike. She’d even listen to the two of them engaging in their testosterone-fueled pissing contest in the garage over the darned motorcycle to have Scott back in the house. Ororo had kept Scott and Jean’s suite unoccupied out of respect for his memory, and out of some defiant sense that he’d want to reclaim it one day, even if it was impossible. He wasn’t coming back. But it comforted her to still see their things, mementos and other cherished items, where she could pick them up, touch them, and remember how it was to have them there. After they held Jean’s memorial service in the garden, Ororo had crept into their suite after curfew and perused Jean’s scrapbook and her tiny wooden jewelry box, looking at the boardwalk photo strips and class pictures of the two of them together that Scott took when they hassled him to use Jean’s camera. There was nothing keeping Logan from taking the bike out for a ride every now and again, she knew.

She snorted to herself, fidgeting under the covers. It didn’t help matters that Scott’s bike was practically made for Logan’s meaty frame and competent handling, and that he was at home straddling the streamlined machine, looking like every mother’s nightmare…he had to know how he looked.

What was worse…he had to know how she’d been peeking at him when he wasn’t looking. You’re twenty-six years old, Wind-Rider, not twelve… she mentally slapped herself. He was stubborn, hotheaded, insubordinate and infuriating. Unpredictable. Annoying. Loud. Crass. Smoldering. Intense. Impulsive. Insensitive. Sarcastic. Intelligent…wait. Wait, wait, wait…Ororo ticked off all those points again, trying to isolate the ones that didn’t belong.

Smoldering? That was new. She wanted to draw a blank as to why that description leapt into her mind, but it kept occurring to her that yes, the Wolverine did, indeed, smolder. Especially that funny little half-smile that he made, when his eyes looked like they could gobble a woman up…too bad he reserved that look for Jean. Okay, then, that settled it. Now that Jean was gone, any “smoldering” that he did would come to an end. No one else affected him that way.

Intense. Sure. Why not. Logan put up a good front of letting everyone believe that his priorities consisted of bar brawls, drinking his friends at Harry’s under the table and emptying their pockets at the pool or poker tables, but the man he portrayed himself as wasn’t the man who came to Marie’s rescue in Laughlin City. He didn’t just snarl for show around the kids; he was fiercely protective of all of them. Ororo detected genuine caring in his gruff manner as he barked out instructions during workout and combat sessions or maintained order whenever they moved between classes or congregated in common rooms. He commanded respect. In his own way, he gave it back full measure. If you ignored the profanity…

What made it worth anyone’s while to deal with Logan’s “unique qualities,” she decided, was being able to meet his gaze, without wavering or turning away. Those hazel eyes spoke volumes about the man for anyone who took the time and effort to look.

Last but not least, by the Goddess, he was intelligent. Cunning, shrewd, and quick with the snappy comebacks. Logan shared the honor with Hank of being one of the only people on the planet who could beat Kitty at chess, speak as many languages as the professor had with considerable fluency, and he had lived through enough history to be able to teach it himself, first hand. It ruffled her feathers while she was teaching history class one day when he strolled past her classroom only to double back and bark, “It didn’t actually begin in 1929.”

“What?” Her hand paused in mid-air, chalk at the ready as she paused from what she was scribbling across the blackboard.

“The Depression. That’s not accurate. America’s economy was headed toward a Depression way before Black Tuesday. People just cite that day as the one when the banks closed and the stock market crashed.”

“Would you care to come and share your knowledge with the class, Wolverine? Come in, enlighten us.”

“Eh. Go ahead back to what ya were doin’, Teach,” he drawled, tugging a cigar from his shirt pocket and tucking it between his teeth. He never apologized for the interruption, but Ororo could have sworn he began lingering by her classroom door more often after that. One day, she even caught him mouthing the answers to her oral questions during the lecture hour before the students raised their hands. He’d scowled at her through the window pane of the door before sauntering off. Typical.

The average human mind was like a sponge; absorbent, certainly, but every once in a while, older knowledge was “wrung out” to make room for more. Logan’s memories were scrambled from years of government-implanted lies and conditioning, but he never forgot learned information and training.

Ororo rolled out of bed again, this time flicking on her small lamp on the side table. She reached for her dog-eared copy of Close Encounters by Sandra Kitt and flipped it open to a random page, settling in for a good read to make her eyelids heavy. Maybe, if she was lucky, she could take her mind off a certain beer-swilling rebel and the sight of his butt walking away in those tight jeans. She doubted it.


Harry’s Hideaway, downtown Salem Center:

“Hit me again, bub,” Logan beckoned, waving his shot glass cavalierly as the whiskey dulled his senses just enough to keep the driving music from pummeling his ear drums. Harry’s was hopping tonight; Logan counted at least ten girls that looked suspiciously younger than the ages listed on their ID cards as they simpered and giggled their way inside. Logan had shown up shortly after happy hour was over, but Harry kept the fridge stocked with this favorite imported beer on tap, and plenty of Jack Daniels in the icebox. Logan’s money was always good at Harry’s, even since he rescued him from a bruiser who wouldn’t take “you’ve had enough, go sleep it off” for an answer, feeding the guy his front teeth for a midnight snack. It was a widely held misconception that Logan relied on his claws in a scrap; his adamantium-laced knuckles often did all the work without having to alert anyone to the fact that he was a mutant. Shoot, even looking at anyone who wanted to cross him made ‘em all pee their pants without him having to even raise his fists.

“Got a designated driver, Logan?”

“Sure, my limo’s waitin’ outside, with the motor runnin’,” he shot back, nodding at him to pour him the shot. Harry chuckled as he doled out two fingers of Jack Daniels and shoved the bowl of beer nuts closer to his stoic best customer. Logan was a decent fellow; always smoked those cigars of his outside, well away from his front door, unless he stayed until Harry was off-duty and could join him with his pack of Marlboros. No sense in hearing the ladies complain, he’d told him slyly. Logan’s step never wavered, and any semblance of a buzz that he got from the liquor never lasted more than mere moments. Harry could have sworn he saw the bloodshot veins in those eyes of his visibly recede and disappear after he’d finished half the bottle of whiskey himself. The “designated driver” shtick was a running joke between them by now. He knew Logan parked his bike in a garage to avoid the boys in blue stopping him from mounting up outside the bar. His healing factor didn’t stop him from smelling like a brewery.

He knew Storm would be jumping on his ass if he came home in that condition. Logan grunted low in this throat as he remembered her stern resolve not to let him coddle her. One moment, her entire body was relaxed, practically leaning into his touch…and the next, he was back to being “Wolverine” and being shrugged off like an itchy coat.

Problem was, he was too stubborn to tell her he just wanted to return the favor.

They’d said nothing about that horrible afternoon that found him coughing up lungfuls of dust amidst the rubble and ruins of the Grey’s suburban home. His vision was still blurred from the torrents of wind and energy rushing at him, nearly rending him to bits as Jean threw everything she had at them…his last sight was of Xavier turning to him one final time, bequeathing him a smile that was ludicrously peaceful and resigned, right before Jean scattered his cells into the ether.

No man should have to witness such things. It wasn’t the first time his eyes had observed such atrocities, but this time, the experience was shared. He didn’t believe it when a slender, strong pair of arms encircled him, supporting him and shielding him from the devastation, cocooning him desperately, even tenderly. He felt the tremors wracking Ororo’s body, but still she held onto him, breathing raggedly and stifling the sobs she couldn’t afford to release. Logan knew too well how it felt to be on such a short tether. Beneath the choking stench of dust and smoke, her scent reached him, light, sweet and comforting. Her hair brushed the nape of his neck as she tucked her chin into his shoulder. She held and rocked him until his faint grip around her wrist prompted her to release him, assuring her that he could stand on his own.

He was still cursing himself now, even as he tossed back the shot. That was two people tryin’ not t’fall apart after the man whose dream they shared was taken from them way too soon, under earth-shattering circumstances. She held him. It didn’t go any further than that, didn’t mean anything but that. Period.

But damn, she felt good. Jean’s powers were handy enough when it came to keeping herself or anyone else out of the path of oncoming bullets or flying debris, but Ororo took a different approach. She relied on her winds at her back, lending her speed to reach the side of any who needed her. He huffed in disgust at her grandstanding in the Danger Room, when they ran the Sentinel routine in the interest of teaching “defensive maneuvers.” He hadn’t been the one who needed defending, and what did she do? Tackled him like a sack of potatoes to knock him out of the range of the Sentinel’s blast. She’d covered him with her whole body, fer cryin’ out loud! And Charley called HIM impulsive!

But yeah, it felt good, just for that frantic moment, to have her plastered against him like that. It was still a stupid move, though. Stubborn frail, she coulda got hurt. He’d heal. Her, not so likely. And if she got herself hurt…that just didn’t bear contemplating.

He smelled the flowery cologne and the faint musk of desire, mingled with the cloying sweetness of fuzzy navel fumes moments before he actually felt a slim hand land on his forearm. “Hey,” she greeted, swinging her straight chestnut brown hair over her shoulder in a practiced flip and beaming blearily at him. “I’m Chelsea.”

“I’m too old fer you, darlin’,” he announced, without malice. Gads, if she only knew.

“No you’re nooooooootttt,” she whined, still holding on to her smile as she rolled her eyes at him as though he’d told her something knee-slappingly funny. “How old do you think I am, then? Go ahead, guess, I dare you!” He flinched as she leaned over him, closing in on him from his perch on the barstool, pressing her bosom into his back without a care.

“Ya dare me, eh? Ain’t wise ta challenge complete strangers to a dare like that, kiddo, ya don’t know what kinda folks lurk in dives like this.” He winked at Harry, who’d peered at him with a cocked eyebrow as if to ask “whose place are ya callin’ a dive, punk?”

“You’re not lurking, you’re sitting. And you’re having a lil’ drinkie poo,” she giggled, slurring enough for Logan to guess her number of shots to hover between eight or nine. He picked up the trill of feminine chatter a few yards away over the din and glanced at the cluster of girls who were similarly dressed and nodding and giggling at their ringleader as she plied him with her charms. Retail princesses, he sighed. And there they were, egging him on. She was the one on a dare. He suppressed a snort.

It was time to head home.

“You still haven’t guessed how old I am,” she reminded him, stroking the fine layer of hair on his arm with her fingertip, rubbing it the wrong direction. He chafed, bristling at her once he decided he had enough. Why did dames play this game? “Ask me how old I am.” He’d heard that one before, and he’d gotten many a dirty look for answering it truthfully. Nope. Not tonight.

“Yer barely over legal drivin’ age, sweetheart; I’m bettin’ ya’ve only been livin’ away from home a year, just long enough ta learn ta separate yer lights from yer darks when ya do yer own laundry. That might make ya above the legal limit, but ya’d still make me feel like I was breakin’ the law. Think yer friends are gonna start missin’ ya in a minute.” He drained his shot glass of its last swallow, looking longingly at the last drops in the bottom before he slammed it back down on the bar. “G’night, Harry.”

“Night, Logan.” Chelsea stared after him in mild shock. She wasn’t used to being turned down.

“Asshole,” she hissed after him.” Logan never looked back, but the corner of his mouth quirked up in a smile.

Logan needn’t have worried. He slowly eased the bike in the garage, decelerating before he even reached the front gate. He knew Ororo’s hearing was remarkably sharp, and she probably didn’t miss his arrival, but he made it in through the back door without any reprisal. Then he remembered the shape she was in before he left, and it hit him that she needed whatever sleep that she could get.

The whiskey hadn’t helped a damn bit. He was still restless, and what sleep that he caught was full of phantom faces, laughing at him as they stabbed and twisted him apart. He woke up with a throbbing head and a ringing in his ears, covered in his own sweat. A tepid shower would set him to rights, that much he knew. Logan couldn’t remember the last time he’d had a hangover, but he did remember that it had followed one helluva brawl, more whiskey than he could measure, and a giggling barmaid who worked at the tavern by the lumber mill where he made his living. Yeah, it had been worth it!

Logan finished his shower and shrugged into his charcoal gray t-shirt and a fresh pair of jeans. He flicked his comb through his hair and let it air-dry into its customary waves and peaks before he reached for his can of shaving foam. He cruised out of his room and down to the kitchen with a cleanly scraped face and a rumbling in his gut. The aroma of fresh coffee quickened his strides.

He entered the kitchen to find Peter lounging behind the sports section of the paper, nodding over the edge of it when he appeared. “Good morning, tovarisch.”

“Hey, Pete.” Logan yanked open the refrigerator and peered inside at the prospects, which were surprisingly slim. Crossing to the pantry, he found the remnants of a box of Cap’n Crunch and dumped it into a bowl. To his dismay, the whole mess turned blue when he added milk. He looked at the box and grunted as he read the insert on the front calling it a “limited edition Superman Crunch that turns milk blue!” Just his luck. Peter glanced at the unappetizing mess and muttered “Iccccchhhh.”

“Wasn’t there still a half a box left of the frosted mini-wheats in the cupboard yesterday?”

“Uh-huh.” The paper rattled as he innocently added “And they were delicious.” He let out a low belch for emphasis.

“Fucker.”

“I try.” He flicked a hand toward the coffeemaker. “Have some coffee. Between that and the sugar from that bowl of questionable slop, you’ll be good and amped up for that combat training you’ve got scheduled in a half hour.”

“Ain’t gonna slow me down any. But sure, piss me off now; I ain’t goin’ any easier on ya when we have that little session that Storm scheduled to work on your sparring skills. Enjoy sittin’ on yer ass now, ya won’t wanna after I’m done with ya.”

“I’ve been working on my fastball,” Peter bragged.

“Betcha still throw like a girl,” Logan retorted.

“You couldn’t handle it if he really did,” purred a familiar, husky voice from the doorway. He got a whiff of her fresh lavender scent and shampoo, almost overwhelmed by Hank’s stronger natural musk and the detergent he used in his clothes. “Peter’s got nothing on me, Logan.” She grinned at Peter. “Truth hurts.”

“I bow to the master,” he admitted, taking Logan by surprise.

“Our Ororo is a woman of many talents. Even has a nice knack for iambic pentameter.” Hank helped himself to some coffee and added a generous measure of creamer.

“I read a mean Kate.” Ororo reached for the remainder of the loaf of bread on the top shelf and looked disappointed at the limp heels in the bag before shrugging and tossing them into the toaster anyway. Logan winced at her choice.

“We’re hittin’ the grocery store today,” he grumbled. “This is pitiful.”

“Yesterday Dani and Sage made a snack run,” Peter offered.

“Lotta good that did. They didn’t leave so much as a crumb of it last night. I want something that sticks to yer ribs.”

“All that bacon you consume will do a fine job of sticking to your arteries,” Ororo sniffed, giving him a tart cock of her arched brows as she spread a thin layer of sugar free jam onto the darkly toasted slices. She ate it with little enthusiasm, washing it down with a cup of black, sweet coffee. Logan half-expected her to dash off once she tucked her plate into the dishwasher, but she watched Hank finish the last of his coffee and lean back in his chair, arms folded over his chest.

“Now,” he rumbled, “about my findings from last night, Ororo. We need to talk. Wolverine, don’t run off just yet.”

“I’ve gotta head down to the Danger Room ta set up my training,” he complained.

“It can wait a few minutes,” Ororo advised. The look on her face double-dog dared him to walk out the door. He sighed gustily and refilled his cup with coffee. To her surprise, he automatically refilled her cup, too, and slid her the bowl of sugar cubes. Her face softened as she nodded her thanks.

“You’ll want to hear this, my friend. I ran some tests on the samples that you two brought back from Alkali Lake and the compound itself.”

“The compound was buried under a ton of rubble and concrete, there wasn’t anything worth studying,” Logan argued.

“Do you remember that odd phenomena that you and Ororo witnessed when you retrieved Jean?” Logan’s nostrils flared, his lips thinning at the mention of her name, and that day. He’d been so bloody hopeful…and it had all gone so spectacularly wrong. His fingers still remembered how it felt to brush aside that curtain of long, silky copper hair to better gaze at the face that haunted his dreams.

“You’ll hafta narrow it down, Beast,” he pointed out. Hank narrowed his eyes at his use of the despised nickname.

“Specifically the floating rocks and debris, the unusual fog, and the water flowing up. Obviously bringing back water samples wasn’t possible, in light of the circumstances, but the rock samples were helpful and enlightening. I subjected them to a thorough study. It yielded startling results. The rocks contain the same energy signature as Scott’s optic blasts.” Peter had already folded his newspaper shut, but his mouth dropped open in shock.

“Boszhe moi!” he exclaimed.

“Yeah. What he said,” Logan agreed. “Are ya shittin’ me?”

“Ahem,” Hank cleared his throat, trying to look solemn, “I would never shit you, my friend.” He doubted that anyone would ever dare such a thing. “Those rock samples, perhaps even the entire compound, hold traces of the same energy, and resonate at the same frequency of his eye beams. I was able to better observe it and determine this when I examined the fragments using the ruby quartz lenses and an infrared scan.”

“What the hell does this mean?”

Hank sighed heavily. His tone was full of resignation as he admitted, “It means we have a better idea of how Scott perished. What we can draw from this is that Jean killed him, and she managed to use his own power to do it.”

“What are you saying?” Ororo stopped stirring her coffee when her hands began trembling. Logan mutely reached for one and clasped it, stilling it. He didn’t like how icy they felt, so he stroked her fingers soothingly with his thumb, much like he had the night before.

“Jean was easily one of the most powerful, if not THE most powerful telekinetics on the face of the earth. As the Phoenix, those abilities were amplified beyond the scope of our comprehension, and we were robbed of any opportunity to better study what she could do when she left the school.”

“She made herself pretty clear that she didn’t wanna be anybody’s lab rat,” Logan snarled. This time, Ororo lightly squeezed his hand, and he faced her for a moment, reading her wish for him to let Hank continue without judgment or further outburst. Her velvety brown eyes pleaded with him, and he let her have her way. She released his hand, and received her second shock of the day when he cupped her shoulder instead, for which she was grateful. Odder things had happened, but she was hard-pressed to think of when.

“Science always takes a backseat to the well-being of one of my closest, lifelong friends; the Professor wanted to ensure that Jean didn’t harm herself or anyone else when her powers fully manifested themselves. It was never about the Professor wanting to control her, Wolverine, but about Jean controlling herself. Now,” he interjected, revisiting his original topic, “Scott’s untimely death was left a mystery by the fact that we had nothing left in the way of a body or any other physical sign. You brought back his goggles, but even they left us no clue “ no blood, no skin cells, no physical evidence. What I found was further supported by the fog and the floating matter and water. Scott’s optic blasts were concussive force created by excited ions. Much like your claws, Wolverine, his beams cut punch through just about anything, although perhaps not your adamantium.”

“Wasn’t fer lack of tryin’, bub. Sonofagun nailed me pretty good in our workouts when he wanted to.” He almost smiled at the memory. Sure, he thought Scooter was a tight-assed Boy Scout, but the only thing he ever really hated about him was that he had Jeannie. Absently his hand rubbed Ororo’s back as he considered, Scooter had the friends and family ya never managed ta have yerself, Patch.

“What made the rocks float, Henry?”

“I thought it was just a remnant of Jean’s telekinesis that was causing that to happen, but it occurred to me that phenomenon should have ceased when she left the compound. She was unconscious when you found her, and wasn’t purposely controlling the water and debris anymore. There was a lingering energy that was charging the particles. I believe it was the remnant of Scott’s optic beams. She used her own power to overload his energy and turned it back on him, like filling a water balloon until it bursts.”

“Goddess,” Ororo breathed. She shivered at the thought of how excruciating a death that must have been, wondering if Jean would have done the same to her if she’d been the first to discover her at the compound instead.

“The dispersal of his beams, infusing the water with that concussive energy created that layer of fog,” Hank explained, “even though you were able to clear it long enough for your reconnaissance, Ororo. But let me assure you, it wasn’t a natural occurrence.”

“What are you saying, tovarisch?”

“What I’m saying, Peter, is that Scott was scattered into the ether. And before I can know more, we need to return to Alkali Lake.”

“It’s asking a lot to have us go back to that horrid place,” Ororo pointed out. She’d unconsciously been leaning against Logan for support during the discussion, puzzled as to why the chilly, tingling flush of panic had disappeared in spite of how Hank’s words had affected her; Logan was generating enough heat to warm her to her toes. She felt him squeeze her again at her admission, knowing her sentiment was shared.

“It’s a necessary evil, for what we have to do.”

“What, Hank?” Peter’s blue eyes were troubled, his head already reeling with the implications.

“Bring Scott back.”


Oyama Heavy Industries, in the foothills of Alkali Lake:

“What’s the good word, Doctor?”

“Project SPIRAL is a go, Sergeant. The samples have yielded enough salvageable DNA for us to go forward with it. I’m very optimistic,” he assured him, adjusting his glasses.

“No one has more reason to be optimistic than you, Dr. Cornelius.” He patted the man on the back, ignoring his initial revulsion as he gazed at his scarred visage. Intelligent eyes gleamed brightly from his ruined face, and he rewarded Stryker with a crooked smile, left that way from having the severed tendons surgically repaired.

“Flattery will get you everywhere, Sergeant.” He indicated the Petri dish and invited Stryker to take a look, adjusting the magnification to its maximum.

“What am I looking at?”

“You’re looking at the Lord’s work on the sixth day of creation. Think of that little patch of cells as Adam’s rib,” he chuckled. Stryker used the small plastic tongs to move the dish back and forth to better study its contents. He gasped when the specimen twitched, right before the pinkish cell divided its walls and split not into two new ones, but four. The cells glowed faintly and continued on at that pace.

“You’ve done it,” he replied numbly, looking away from the microscope to regard Cornelius in shock.

“I’ve done very little. That’s a remarkable DNA specimen you gave me, Sergeant. It’s every bit as impressive, not to mention promising, as what we gathered from that young woman downstairs. Her father would have been delighted with this new project, if he were here to see it.”

“How is Lady Yuriko?”

“Fit as a fiddle. Resting. Might lift her spirits if you stopped by for a visit,” Cornelius suggested brightly. Stryker smiled darkly, scratching his cheek as he contemplated his words.

“I want results within a week. Viable results that I can wrap both hands around, Doctor.” He ambled over to the large lab table and flicked on the overhead lamp before he dug through the steel cabinets, looking for the tiny sealed plastic pouch that he knew was inside. He pulled it out and looked at it again, holding it up to the light.

The tarnished engagement ring winked up at him within its plastic sheath, and Stryker smiled.
Red Carpet by OriginalCeenote
Ororo handled the controls of the Blackbird from her seat in the cockpit like they were an extension of her hand. Beside her, Hank eyed the coordinates in the navigation system and checked the Doppler radar’s display, making minute sounds in his throat. Logan was content to stay in the back of the jet, firmly buckled in as another wave of turbulence buffeted the hull. He enjoyed flying as much as a root canal; he could swear sometimes that Ororo pulled more stunts behind the wheel of the ‘Bird just for his benefit when he pissed her off. Ororo wisely kept any snide cracks to herself this time, sensing he wanted to be alone with his thoughts. Every now and again, he watched her, enjoying the low evening sunlight illuminating her delicate profile and setting her hair ablaze. A fella could still look…

And he liked what he saw, even if her expression was still pensive and moody from their impromptu meeting at the breakfast table two days ago. Her hair was slowly growing back from the drastic haircut that he’d grudgingly admitted suited the shape of her face, but it was satisfying to see the thick, silvery waves almost long enough to brush her shoulders now…

…and of course, she caught him lookin’.

“You all right back there, Wolverine?”

“Fine ‘n dandy, Boss,” he drawled, even though it was a lie. His knuckles itched with the urge to break something. Something big that could say “Ouch.” Another Sentinel robot? Nope. Juggernaut? Yep, little warmer. Sabertooth? Yeah, big enough, nasty enough, ugly enough, and he’d picked the wrong two women in his life to mess with. If that didn’t make him worthy of opening a fresh can of whoop ass, he didn’t know what did.

The same sickening twist in his gut from his previous flight to Alkali was back again, and it brought a throbbing in his temples along with it. A flutter dipped from his stomach all the way into his groin as Ororo began their descent. The turbines shrieked, cutting through the clouds as his view of the sky turned white, then the mottled blue of sunset the closer they came to the lake’s shores. Ororo set the ‘Bird down in the clearing that still held the impressions in the ground from their previous trip. The sight of the burn marks in the ground unsettled her.

“Feels like we’re stuck in a rut, can’t stay away from this damned place.”

“We may be able to wrap this up quickly, depending on what we find,” Hank cajoled, although his mind was already on its divergent path, contemplating the other kinds of samples they could study, where to set up his equipment on the lake’s perimeter, whether they could tunnel their way into the compound…

“We’ll do what we can with whatever we find, to the extent that we can on one trip for now, my friend,” Ororo declared, shuttering any ideas of an extensive stay before Hank could voice them. She wasn’t a psychic, but Logan was projecting anxiety that raised the hairs on her nape in silent alarm, and it wouldn’t do to add resentment toward Hank, or her, to what he was feeling now. He’d been through enough.

Hank followed with a metal carrying case of tools and scanners slung over his beefy shoulder, made more difficult to balance by the stiff leather of his uniform. He’d balked at Ororo’s suggestion that they commission him a new suit, arguing that he wasn’t on active duty often enough to warrant something that costly that wouldn’t get frequent use, particularly with his duties as instructor and as part of Homeland Security. The President had his phone number on speed dial, which didn’t leave much time for off-the-cuff missions at the drop of a hat. This, however, was personal. Scott Summers was his first, closest friend, and one of the first people to accept him after his mutation altered him so drastically.

Ororo and Logan followed the path they had taken before, and Logan’s stride slowed, buffering the sounds of his footfalls out of instinct. For reasons he couldn’t explain, Hank felt himself gathering a sense of wrongness about the surrounding woods.

“Place don’t smell right,” Logan snarled. Okay, that was bad, Hank decided.

“Elaborate, Wolverine.”

“Okay. It smells wrong. I can smell the lake. I can still smell the rubble,” he offered, “but where’s the wildlife? Squirrels, possum, birds, anything crawling on two feet or four, I can’t smell…” his voice trailed off. “Shit.”

“What?” Ororo eyed Logan carefully as she came to a halt. “What’s the matter, Wolverine?”

“Can’t be.” His nostrils flared, and his pupils dilated in response to the scent. Denial rang like a bell through his head.

“Can’t be what?”

“Not what. Who.” Logan rubbed his face with his gloved palm to clear his vision before he stared at Ororo, almost frightening her. “I’m pickin’ up a live scent, recent, of someone who oughta be dead. Scent should be cold, even gone like he was never here. It’s been too damned long.”

“Scott?” He shook his head.

“Uh-uh. I wish. We never found any blood, any flesh or bone fragments when Jeannie…y’know.” He didn’t wanna go there. Ororo nodded for him to continue, but he saw the faint tightening of her lips, revealing her tension. “Those are tangible clues that I could pick out about One-Eye, if they were here.”

“What are your senses telling you now?”

“That we left unfinished business here at this goddamned compound when Jeannie tossed us out of the path of that dam. Back when I grabbed Artie and the kids and loaded ‘em into the jet, I heard Stryker calling out ta me. Desperate, mad as hell, and beggin’ me ta make a deal. Mags tied him to his own ‘copter with a length of steel chain an’ left him ta die.”

“What did he offer you?” Hank inquired, his voice thoughtful, lacking any judgment. He understood bargaining; he worked for the government.

“My past. My history. The Weapon X Project files explaining who I was before these,” he replied. SNIKT. He exposed his gleaming length of razor-sharp claws for emphasis. “I was born with the ability ta heal myself, that much makes me a mutant. These made me a weapon. Stryker’s the only sonofabitch alive who knows how it happened. Or so he says, but no one else has come out of the woodwork, claimin’ any different or offerin’ me any clues on a silver platter.”

“Stryker’s dead. There’s no way he could have survived.”

“That’s what we said about Jeannie.” SNAKT. “She fixed the Blackbird and protected herself in a bubble. She could hear our thoughts and shove us out of harm’s way. Who’s ta say she didn’t do the same with that bastard?”

“Oh, my stars and garters,” Hank murmured. “I…I hate to agree with his theory, Storm, but he has a point.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, Blue.”

“Give me a moment, Wolverine,” Hank rumbled. “We didn’t have any physical sign of Scott except for his goggles when you brought them back, until we examined the fragments. By the same token…you never found Stryker’s body on your last journey here?”

“We weren’t looking for it, Henry.” Ororo’s tone was matter-of-fact, but Logan rankled with the realization that yes, he hadn’t been on top of his game that day not to have looked. Even if it was only to satisfy himself that the bastard was gone, that his taunting voice would quit invading his sleep.

“You didn’t catch his scent then, yet you can sense him now?” Hank was incredulous.

“You got a pretty good sense of smell, Blue?”

“It’s enhanced by my mutation, yes,” he allowed, drawing himself up.

“If ya had been here that day when we brought the kids home, and when we lost Jeannie, ya’d have a clue of the guy’s scent, and ya’d smell that funny little tang of sourness and metal. He wore it like a cologne.” He didn’t want to spout clichés, but the guy smelled like evil. “It’s all over this place. Even on this trail. Let’s go.”

“Excuse me?”

“Let’s head over to the lake. And if we have time, let’s hit the compound. Storm?”

“Yes, Wolverine?”

“Didja pack a drill?”

“There’s one on the jet, and a laser-guided excavating tool that Hank was tinkering with,” she replied, nodding proudly to Hank.

“Good. Before this trip is over, we’re gonna get our hands dirty. Call Petey, when ya get a chance, Storm. We may need him to watch the kids a little longer, and ya may wanna switch places with him once we need his muscle.”

They made their way to the lake shore, and notice that there were still pebbles and leaves drifting randomly above the water and sandy banks. Logan surveyed the outcroppings of rock and continued to follow his nose. Hank still couldn’t pick out the scent that Logan had described, but he had no point of reference. Logan’s unease was contagious. Hank fidgeted uncomfortably in his uniform jacket, but part of that was due to its crude fit, he supposed.

Logan continued to kick himself as he thought back to their last trip. Once Storm called out to him from where she was crouched over Jean’s limp body, that had been the end of the search, for Scott, or for any other signs of foul play. His sight, his smell, every one of his senses was locked on her, filled with her presence as he reeled from the miracle of finding her all in one piece. He’d been too thunderstruck to notice the look of apprehension and fear mingled with Ororo’s relief, furrowing those snowy brows. She was tense and silent the entire way home once they strapped Jean in and radioed the Professor of their return, and it had been an uneventful flight. No aerial dances or tricks, just a neat liftoff and the shortest, smoothest route home; her eyes glowed cerulean blue as she guided the controls, and Logan figured out that she was cleaving through the winds and updrafts that would have created any turbulence. He also knew she was doing it for Jean’s benefit, telegraphing how much she still cared about her best friend.

Her best friend. Damn, that had to have killed her, to lose someone as close to her as a sister. Now she was headmistress, with no Charles to lead the way, Scott to share the burden, or Jeannie to provide a shoulder to cry on or ear to bitch to. Poor baby.

The eerie lack of sound at the lake was broken by the clicking and snapping sounds of Hank unfastening his case and assembling his equipment. He worked quickly, without asking for assistance, and Logan guessed it was beyond the realm of his comprehension, anyway. Ororo’s eyes were glued to the water itself.

“The fog isn’t as thick as it was that day,” she observed to no one in particular. “It still doesn’t feel natural. More…charged. Something not of this earth, mingling with it.” She nodded to Logan. “It feels wrong.”

“Toldja.”

“Indeed, you did. Score one for Logan.” He suppressed a smirk; he was starting to like her, in spite of himself.

“I’m setting up the infrared scanner now, and I’m going to need some help positioning these around the lake,” Hank announced, beckoning for Ororo to come over. “If you can, my dear, could you fly this scanner over to that side of the shore?”

“I aim to please.” She took the scanner and the tripod stand and summoned a wind, lifting herself easily. She hovered several meters above the water, and Logan was taken by how graceful and effortless she made it look. She touched down on the opposite shore and set up the tripod, snapping the scanner into its slot and fastening the latches.

“Go ahead and turn it on, Storm!” Hank roared, giving her the thumbs-up signal to proceed. She waved back and hit the switch. The reddish beam of light reminded Logan of an ambulance flare as it arced back and forth in broad sweeps. The beams bounced harmlessly off of him and Hank as the next two scanners were rigged and activated in similar fashion. Ororo was already hovering back to retrieve the next one as Hank finished adjusting the settings.

“This is where it gets interesting,” he assured them. He held out a small control that looked a little like a Geiger counter and turned it on. Sure enough, it emitted a series of clicking noises as it measured the radiation and particles that Hank keyed it to detect.

“I’m picking up Scott’s power signature headed in this direction,” he muttered, beginning to walk in that direction, “right by that jetty.”

“Hnh. That’s where I found Scooter’s goggles,” Logan mused. Ororo, on the other hand, was too busy watching the scanners do their work, as the rays stirred the air currents, interrupting their normal energy patterns.

“It’s changing,” she whispered.

“What’s that, darlin’?”

“You can’t see it?”

“What’m I s’posed ta be seein’?”

“There’s a…static. Interference, if you want to call it that. That same odd energy that I’ve been feeling, it’s like a building storm, but I can’t sense thunder in the distance, or even the bite of lightning, ozone, any of what touches me when the sky opens up. Yes,” she decided, “it’s static.” She pointed to the rays. “Watch the beams as they cut in this direction, when the last of the sunlight intersects with the ray. You can see it. Particles of energy.” Logan knew that he’d think anyone else that told him that was nuts, so he concentrated on where she was pointing and took a good, hard look.

Tiny particles were dancing in the light, glowing the same incandescent red as Scott’s visor when he fired his blasts. Whoa.

“Now we have the piece de resistance,” Hank jibed, wanting to lighten the mood. “The samples were helpful enough to gather some empirical data. This, on the other hand, will help us gather what we can’t truly put our hands on.” He set out a broad, round disc of metal and pushed a button. The center of it swiveled open, revealing an array of flashing lights and indicators that took Logan to an unpleasant place.

“Shit. Looks like something outta Star Trek,” he grumbled. Fancy technical gadgets just triggered memories of that cold metal compound, the glassed-in observation cube, the tank…no. Hell, no. “What’s that thing for?”

“You know how those Swiffer commercials advertise that it’s a dust magnet? Think of this as the grand daddy of all Swiffer pads, set to attract concussive energy signatures, if you will.” Hank smiled at his own joke. Logan just grunted in his throat; Hank could have sworn he muttered something under his breath that sounded like “damned science geeks.” He was willing to let it go, for now…

“What’re we gonna do, vacuum him up and dig him out of the collection bag?”

“Of course not, Logan. Henry?” Ororo crossed her arms over her ribs and turned to Henry for a more accurate explanation.

“No. He’s right. We’re going to vacuum Scott up and dig him out of the collection bag. More or less. Except it’s a magnetic field,” he qualified, “not a bag.”

“How long do ya figure that’ll take?”

“I couldn’t begin to guess,” Hank admitted. “I’d planned on being here for at least a day or two for a proper observation and trial.”

“So do we just sit here and friggin’ twiddle our thumbs?”

“No,” Ororo said briskly, “we do more recon for that scent of Stryker that you found. Then, we pick up supplies.” Her tone was almost playful as she took to the air, shouting back “I’m in the mood to toast marshmallows.” This time Hank allowed himself to laugh out loud.

Two hours later, the sun had set, and Ororo and Logan returned to the Blackbird with the promised supplies. Hank had thoughtfully turned on the Blackbird’s flood lights to better illuminate the campsite, and to provide a better source of light that the red scanner beams, for the sake of their collective eyesight. Once again, Hank marveled that Scott could stand to see everything through a constant field of scarlet, every moment of every day, without going mad.

Logan indulged in some minor carnage, taking down three slender birch trees with his claws and chopping them into surprisingly neat logs and kindling for a campfire. Ororo watched him as he worked. Logan had shucked his leather uniform jacket, impervious to the autumn chill as he went to work, slashing his claws through the timber in smooth motions, reveling in the scrape of metal against wood. He ignored the bits of bark and chips that flew up into his face, nicking him and showering him with “sawdust.” Tiny cuts and scratches healed almost instantly, and splinters worked their way out before Ororo could offer her services with a needle and antiseptic from the medi-kit. “Got it covered, darlin’, so no thanks,” he bragged, smearing his forehead with dirt as he wiped away the sweat. Ororo got an eyeful of his broad chest, sweat slicked and covered in a fine mat of dark hair. Cords of wiry muscle rippled and contracted with his efforts, and Ororo summoned a light breeze to cool him. He felt the air currents sweeping over his tingling flesh and caught the flash of blue from her eyes as he sat against the remainder of the trunk. “This your doin’?”

“Mmm-hmm.” She gave him a little curtsy.

“Much obliged.”

“I can’t sit idly and let you do everything,” she demurred. This time her eyes flickered to the glowing white that indicated her powers were fully active, and Logan smelled the sizzle of electricity in the air before the lightning hit the small, neat pile of kindling and timber that Logan had already arranged. Logan nearly fell backwards over the stump with surprise, making Ororo giggle at the look on his face.

“Shit,” he muttered. He recovered himself and accused her “Ya did that on purpose.”

“Did not.”

“That’s all right. I’ll get my own back, just you wait, Sunshine.”

“Sunshine??”

“Hey, if the shoe fits…”

“It doesn’t. That makes me sound like some flower child dancing barefoot in the fields at Woodstock.”

“Thanks fer conjuring that mental image,” he grinned slyly.

“Wipe it from your head this instant,” she ordered.

“Nope. Now I’m imagining ya in a peasant skirt, daisy chains and rings on yer toes. Might even add a pair of those kooky John Lennon sunglasses fer good measure.”

“Stop! STOP! Henry, tell him to stop!” Ororo had her hands on her hips now, stalking over to her old friend as he continued to make adjustments to the readings.

“You can fight your own battles, young lady.” Hank raised one furry brow, and what passed for a smile with his leonine mouth made her want to tackle him. “I’m neutral, he has claws, and you could have worse nicknames than Sunshine. Like Beast,” he offered.

“I’m disappointed in you, Henry. After years of loyal, undying friendship, and you can’t defend my good name from slander and corruption!”

“Sunshine is a good name,” Logan argued, leering at her. “Now that I think of it, didn’t some of those folks at Woodstock dance nekkid in the fields every now and again?”

“Ooooooohhhh…to quote Jubilee, don’t make me go buckwild on your butt!”

“Gotta catch me first, Sunshine!” His hazel eyes mocked her, glinting with mischief as he took off into the silent woods, destroying the serenity as his boots crunched layers of dry leaves. He stifled his laughter unsuccessfully as Ororo gave chase. His night vision was one of his gifts, so she’d never catch him…

…unless she flew after him. Shit!

“You are SO dead,” she intoned from about ten feet above him, and he felt her winds at his back as he stomped through the thicket. She flew faster and closer, but he ducked and dodged with lightning quick reflexes, evading capture as he sucked the night air into his lungs. Now he was having fun!

“Children,” Beast grumbled in mock resignation as he took the readings from the scanner. His stomach rumbled, and he paused for a moment to peruse the bags of supplies that Logan and Ororo had picked up, delighted to find that Ororo remembered his Twinkies. Bless her little heart.

“Missed me, missed me, now ya gotta kiss me!” Logan chanted, forgetting when he’d last heard that rhyme, but it fit the moment.

“Sez who?” Ororo buffeted him with a wall of wind coming from every direction, disorienting him and impairing his hearing enough to throw his equilibrium.

“What the flamin’…AAACCCK!” He tumbled forward as Ororo’s arms pinioned him around the waist in an iron grip while she flung her entire weight “ accelerated by her winds “ at him. He took the brunt of the fall, to her glee, and they skidded at least five feet through the brush, leaving Logan with a bruised ego and a severe case of rug burn. “OOOF!

“Sunshine, huh? John Lennon glasses?” He was still on his stomach trying to push himself up, but he continued to lose his balance as she relied on the oldest dirtiest trick in the book and tickled him mercilessly.

“Ya…heeheehee, QUIT IT! Ya forgot…I’m warnin’ ya, darlin’…SHIT! Ya forgot NEKKID!” Sputtering cackles erupted from his lips as he gradually flipped himself over, rolling her onto her back with the momentum.

“No I didn’t forget,” she purred, and they continued to roll and struggle until she managed to work herself on top of him again, this time pinning his arms to his sides with her knees. Logan didn’t like the Cheshire cat grin on her face one bit…well, it was actually damned sexy, the way she made it. Then, to his horror, she yanked her glove off her hand, pulling it off with her teeth. Again, sexy but scary. The two of them were panting to regain their breath, and Logan’s pulse was hammering in his neck.

“What’re ya up to, Sunshine?”

“What else?” She sucked her index finger into her mouth and released it with an audible pop, again triggering the impression of her as “sexy, but scary,” not to mention WICKED, when she crowed “Wet WILLIE!” He thrashed his head back and forth to avoid her finger as it darted after his ear…and found the ever-sensitive canal.

“GAAAAH!”

“C’mon, who’s your Sunshine, now!” She gave her finger another lick and zapped him again, laughing in completely unladylike manner at his grimace of disgust.

“Shitshitshit…don’t DO that!”

“Are you kidding? I’m having a ball!” And she was. Logan was a kick in the pants.

“Ya owe me,” he growled.

“I owe you what? Another wet willie? Perhaps a purple nerple? Titty twister?”

“Yer merciless. And one sick puppy,” he accused. “Don’tcha dare.”

“How do you intend to stop me, Wolverine?”

That was her first mistake. His hazel eyes crinkled at the corners and flashed the silent message: Revenge!

His hips bucked upward, and his legs clamped around her arms, flipping her backward long enough for him to scramble for purchase on top of her this time. She lay on her back, struggling to get back the wind that he knocked out of her lungs.

“Animal,” she huffed. “That didn’t tickle.”

“Nope.” She wriggled beneath him, testing his grip for vulnerable spots. "Ya still owe me.”

“I owe you? Pffft. I owe you nothing,” she exclaimed.

“Wrong. I toldja earlier, ‘Missed me, missed me.’ Ya gotta pay up.”

“What…? Whoa. Oh, no. You wouldn’t dare…”

“Daring is what I’m best at, Sunshine. Unless ya’d prefer that purple nerple ya were threatenin’ me with…I can give as good as I get,” he purred. Her eyes were sparking their warning shade of blue. “Nope, no more dirty tricks!”

“Don’t make me, then.”

“That ain’t what I wanna make ya do.” He reached down to free some strands of hair that were tangled in her lashes from her impromptu tumble. “Matter of fact, I don’t wanna make ya do anything.” His touch was feather-light as he continued to “groom” her, picking a leaf from her silky hair. He licked the edge of his thumb “ Ororo cringed momentarily “ and wiped off a smudge of dirt on her cheek. “Yer a mess,” he remarked, his voice low and thoughtful.

“It’s all your fault. You don’t want to make me do anything; so what…” She tried to bring him back to his original topic, but he was distracting her. His solid, warm weight had a way of doing that.

“I want ya ta want this as much as I do.” He leaned forward, planting his palms on the ground on either side of her head, then slid his body down the length of hers until he was comfortably settled against her, molded to her soft curves.

“Wait…”

“Can’t,” he rasped, dipping his mouth to capture hers. His lips caressed hers and sampled her flavors. She gasped into his mouth for a brief second, her palms pushing against his chest in surprise at first, then relaxing to clutch at him, roaming his bare flesh and ropes of muscle. His lips stroked hers in a caress that made her ache, made her want, and she opened them for him to let him inside. Their tongues entwined and communed in a secret language that begged fluency by frequent practice. Ororo moaned, fanning the desire building in Logan’s gut at her touch, the wondrous feel of her squirming beneath him. Their legs were in a mad tangle, and Logan was momentarily grateful that the resilient leather wouldn’t show grass stains in the morning…

He came up for air just long enough to stare into her eyes and mutter “Payback.”

“Excuse me?”

“Got my payback. Missed me, missed me…now ya gotta kiss me.”

“I didn’t miss, I nailed you. And I nailed you good.” She was indignant in the face of such insolence…and his nipples were right there, easily within reach.

TWEAK!

“GAAAAH!”

“DO I HAVE TO SEPARATE YOU TWO??” Hank bellowed. They were out of his sight, but Logan’s shout told him that they were fine. And in need of a stint of detention once they got back, if he could even impose one on a fellow teacher and the headmistress himself. He heard a few more minutes of scuffling and an argument straight off the grade school playground before the two of them staggered back, both of their cheeks looking vaguely flushed.

“Am I the only adult here?” Hank inquired.

“Sure. Go back to yer Twinkies,” Logan griped, reaching into the bags for his beer. Ororo made her way onto the Blackbird to patch into the mansion’s communication system, radioing Peter to let him know their status. He grinned back at her from her monitor on the control panel when she admitted “we haven’t killed each other yet.” Not in any fashion that she could make look like an accident, at any rate. She shut off the connection after bidding Peter goodnight and then, shamefully, licked the taste of Logan from her lips.
Red Carpet, Part Two – Dust by OriginalCeenote
Her stony black eyes stared blankly at the steel door, squinting as she focused on the wire-reinforced glass pane, waiting for any sign of white lab coats or curious eyes. Their feelings were transparent and written all over their pudgy, overpaid faces: Freak. She scanned the stark, sterile excuse for a room, taking in the steely gleam of the IV poles feeding her the nutrient and enzyme drip, creating a dull throb in the crease of her elbow. Twice they had to change the needle when the nannites that enhanced her neural net and repaired bodily “ and system “ damage rejected the shunt like a foreign body.

William had kindly made the necessary adjustments. Those deceptive eyes of his were benign blue chips as he smiled at her from behind the pane. She heard him loud and clear when he informed the medi-tech, “Lower her painkillers. Her threshold for pain needs to be built back up to its peak. That won’t happen if we dope away every little twinge, will it?”

“I wouldn’t tease a caged lion, Sergeant,” warned the young intern, but beads of perspiration dotted his flesh at the Sergeant's shift from patronizing to…oh, God. The intern swallowed and clenched his knees shut, attempting to maintain some semblance of bladder control.

“I don’t tolerate insubordination well, son.” The last word dripped with scorn.

“N-no, sir.”

“Cut the current dose down to a fifth.” His tone was clipped. “As you were.”

Stryker’s footsteps clop-clopped down the hall as he made his way down to the sub-basement level for a visit to Cornelius and his other pet project.

When he stepped out of the service elevator, strains of Tchaikovsky’s “Peter and the Wolf” greeted him, and he caught Cornelius humming the melody low in his throat as he approached. He shuddered at Cornelius’ head, missing most of his hair and covered with more of the hideous scars and mottled flesh even from behind. He scratched the scar over his eyelid that ran down the side of his cheek sympathetically, silently thanking the Lord that the damage hadn’t been as extensive as his colleague’s.

“Good afternoon, Doctor.”

“Always a pleasure, Sergeant,” he greeted brightly, “always a pleasure.” He tapped his clipboard with his finger. “I feel like a kid in a candy store. Take a good long look at the progress we’ve made.” William gazed at the sheaf of papers clipped neatly to it, speed-reading through inflated language and diagrams scribbled in the doctor’s nearly illegible script. The papers rattled as he flipped impatiently to the next. Cornelius’ expression became slightly smug as he drank in his reaction to the next set of notes.

“Nerve cells…she’s already developed nerve cells?”

“A nervous system, sir,” Cornelius corrected him, beaming as he crossed his arms and waved his head in the direction of the adjacent suite. He placed his palm on the security reader and waited for the green light over the door to flick on. Stryker followed him, his eyes still glued to the papers as he continued to read.

“Isn’t she lovely?” Cornelius quipped, lightly nudging Stryker’s elbow, and he looked up with a gasp at the sight that met his eyes.

“Lord above us,” he whispered.

It was déjà vu all over again. But this…this was so much more glorious.

On the other side of the observation glass stood a tall, wide cylinder bolted onto a base of steel alloy. The nutrient fluid was a slightly murky pink, due in part to the skin cells that continued to multiply in an intricate network, floating like a tattered shroud around the fully formed human skeleton within it. The eye sockets of the skull stared hollowly back at him, the teeth gaping in a grimace that seemed to challenge him with the silent question, What next? He could still hear the faint strains of Tchaikovsky from the anteroom but the roaring and rush of blood in his ears nearly drowned it out. His heart tattooed with the enormity of it all.

The fluid in the tank ebbed and flowed as it drained out through a pipe leading into the floor, and fresh nutrients were pumped in through the jets in the ceiling. The motion of the fluid stirred the new being, making it dance in macabre grace, bony fingers fluttering on the current. The figure turned slightly as if to give Stryker a better view of something…remarkable.

The pinkish-gray tissue pulsed in the cavity of the skull, swelling and falling in a discernible rhythm.

“Her brain’s growing.

“That’s an understatement, Sergeant. Her brain’s thinking.” He invited him to come closer, leaning over the computer console and typing in the commands to toggle his array to the EEG and CAT scan monitors. As William drew closer, he squinted at the tiny electrodes anchored to the skull that he hadn’t noticed before. The electroencephalogram’s needle scratched as it made jagged trails across the paper strip. The movement was sedate and rhythmic until it spiked briefly, drawing it out into a wide, homely scrawl that made Stryker grin.

“There’s something going on in that pretty head,” he joked.

The equipment for the Weapon X project had never been this sensitive or sophisticated, but he waxed nostalgic as he considered It was groundbreaking at the time…

“Will you look at that,” Cornelius murmured fondly, “I think she’s waving hello. Oh, Sergeant, I think I like her already!” It wasn’t a trick of the light; the skeletal hand drifted up, and the fingers fluttered and curled in a motion that ran a chill down Stryker’s spine.

His visits to the sub-basement had become his new favorite hobby ever since watching those cells multiply so rapidly in that tiny Petri dish. Cornelius himself resembled a human parody of the megalomaniacal “mad scientist” in every Frankenstein-derived monster movie ever made, barely restraining himself from rubbing his hands together with glee and crooning “Fetch me the brains, Igor!” And that was just when he handed him the strands of hair. Cornelius had quickly run tests on them for viable cells that could be cultured, and the men had indulged in a snifter of fine brandy to celebrate the discovery before declaring that the project would be well underway the following morning.

It was laughable. What began as a mission of hate was fast becoming a labor of love. He couldn’t wait to see what happened next.

Back upstairs, Yuriko writhed and groaned, gritting her teeth against the clawing pains in her vitals. That old, ungrateful bastard, she seethed. She had been a daughter to him, even his willing slave, and look how repaid her fealty. Her loyalty.

The adamantium clot that ripped through her organs, invading and cramming her abdominal cavity still haunted her. At night, she still heard her own muffled screams, echoing off the watery confines of the tank as it infused her, burning her vessels as it snaked through every vein. She wept silvery tears of the rippling poison as it choked the breath out of her. Her nannite net had been thrown into trauma, and her system had temporarily shut down. Her mind remained defiant, even as she felt the rumblings beneath her as the dam collapsed around her ears.

The voices in her head only left her alone once the rumbling ceased, and the lake was brimful with the release of the dam. Jason’s brief touch came and went. Mostly, he just whispered her name in her thoughts. Not the hated moniker his father had bequeathed her, but her birth name that no one but her biological father seemed to remember anymore since she took up the reins of Lord Darkwind’s empire.

Stryker used his connections to Darkwind and his previous post as the family tutor to his only daughter as his way in. He, not she, had been the natural successor to step up as head of the board.

Jason had been an unknown quantity, she mused. The lobotomy had stripped him of higher level brain functions, but his power was still considerable, and his will as strong as his sire’s. His voice spurred her back to awareness.

She was ruined, broken. Raped by the clot of cooling metal stabbed into her by the roughnecked Canadian and his obsolete weapons.

Her foot twitched, then moved in a broader movement as she struggled for purchase to raise herself from the tank. She was buried under chunks of concrete and debris. This wasn’t going to be pretty.

She wanted to laugh as she remembered the Wolverine’s incredulous look as the gruesome slashes across her cheek closed up as though they had been erased from her tawny skin. She recognized the look for what it was: You’re like me. But there’s no one like me. She had proven him very, very wrong, and enjoyed every minute of it. The voluptuous joy of plunging her claws into his flesh, again and again as he jerked and twisted from where he was pinned. She was flush with power at how it felt to hold his life in her hands…

The burning stab of the spout through her flesh turned the tide. She gazed stupidly at him as it dawned on her what happened. No. NO. This CAN’T be happening. I was built to win. It’s NOT MY TIME to DIE! He heaped that final indignity on her, gazing into her eyes with something akin to pity as she sank down, hitting the floor of the tank with a hollow clang. Tiny bubbles from her nostrils tickled her upper lip.

Jason’s feelings echoed her own as her systems, through still scrambled, came back online with escape parameters and survival mechanisms and failsafes that should have guided her out through the hangar. She wasn’t sure if it was true feelings of empathy with Stryker’s twisted wreck of a son and the way his father had toyed with him or the boy’s own manipulative powers that dragged her feet to the remains of the Cerebro chamber. The door gave way easily as she sliced through it with her claws like it was tin foil.

His pulse was weak, and he was bleeding heavily from his nose and ears, eyes bloodshot with shock. His flesh was still frigid from the wind-witch’s maelstrom. But he blinked at her with recognition. If his palsied lips could have smiled, she convinced herself, they would have at that moment when she tore away the wreckage with trembling hands and freed him from the shackles of his twisted wheelchair. A faint gurgle of pain issued from his lips as she hefted him into her arms. The adamantium still burned as her system struggled to expel it, and blood poured in a steady gout.

There was precious little air, and it took Yuriko a day and a half to tunnel out from the wreckage. She muttered constantly to herself, cursing Stryker, cursing her father for discovering the process of creating and wielding the adamantium, and cursing the Canadian upstart who left her in such deplorable condition. Her claws itched to bury themselves in his flesh again, to savor that plunging, sucking noise it made when they sank into him. She could almost taste it.

As she twitched and searched for comfortable positions, Jason briefly touched her mind again. Just to let her know he was there. And for the briefest moment, he walked through her mind with her to a happier time, and she pictured Jason, whole and hearty the way he was before the procedure, and felt him holding her hand as she stood over her father’s grave in the rain. He smiled as she released his hand long enough to lay a single white chrysanthemum on his headstone.


Alkali Lake shores, the next day:

“How’s it comin’, Blue?”

“Slowly but surely,” he rumbled, giving himself a hearty scratch. His mouth gaped open in a positively leonine yawn, letting his broad pink tongue uncurl, exposing the neat white rows of spiky teeth. Ororo usually got a kick out of watching him do that since his mutation had brought these physical changes in him, but she was currently doing an aerial sweep, taking a better look at the air patterns and current using the manual scanner that Hank had lent her.

Logan strode over to the magnetic field generator and continued to watch the process that had baffled him from the moment that Hank had turned it on.

A funnel of energy swirled in a narrow column above the plate, glowing and winking as it changed shape. Its volume had nearly doubled over the past two days, and Logan’s flesh was crawling in anticipation and unease. The same odd odor, like grinding machinery that he associated with Scott’s optic blasts when he let them loose flooded the lake front. Things had still been eerie and mostly silent except for the conversations from the intrepid friends as they bickered and collaborated in their study.

Well, he and Ororo had bickered. Hank continued to threaten them both with detentions that he couldn’t impose, or having Peter change to his metallic form and sit on them to make them behave once they got back to the Institute. Logan didn’t put it past Peter to oblige, especially after he told him he threw like a girl. One thing he knew for sure, the tall Russian was no doubt making free with his beer stash while he was gone. He promised himself he’d clean the floor with him at a few games of billiards when this was over to make him reimburse those brews.

Problem was, none of them knew when it would be over. Hank’s replies to questions had been noncommittal when they’d asked. Logan was getting restless, and it was taking a toll on Ororo, too.

The look of hope that had flickered in her eyes when this all began was fading fast, and Logan could see the tightness around the corners of her mouth again. She grew sick of the camping rations, pleading with him never to show her another Ballpark frank, can of beans or marshmallow again. She almost kissed him when he’d managed to catch a perfect trout on their fourth night at the site. Almost. She repaid him by cleaning and deboning it and cooking it over another makeshift fire, and in an act of kindness that begged a June Cleaver barb to jump onto his lips, she even washed his shirt and hung it to dry on a large shrub so he wouldn’t feel like it would crawl off of him any minute with the layers of dirt and “camping grunge” that had accumulated on it.

The winds picked up, ruffling Logan’s hair and bringing a whiff of Ororo with it that he savored privately, peering up at her as she made a graceful landing. “Henry, you need so see this.”

He relieved her of the scanner and made a few rumblings in his throat. “Interesting. I wonder…” Hank’s yellow eyes studied her thoughtfully. “Ororo, I need another favor, my dear.”

“Such as?”

“Generate some lightning. Don’t aim it in any particular direction.”

“Like this?” The air around her crackled as her eyes glowed that ethereal shade of blue, and she backed away from Hank, spreading her open palms as electricity danced in playful sparks from her fingers, self-contained but still impressive.”

“Perfect. Keep that up, while I …fiddle with this for a second. Logan, keep an eye on the field cell, would you?”

“Aye, aye, mon capitan,” he growled. He set his beer down and studied it, gaging its activity.

What the flamin’? Hank had stumbled onto something here.

“Hey, ‘Ro, c’mon over here for a sec,” Logan asked, “and bring that lightning of yers with ya.” She shot him a bemused look but complied, wisely avoiding coming too close to him while she was still “live.”

The charged cells of energy loved the currents of electricity, if the way that their volume swelled again and flickered more brightly was any indication.

“Keep it coming, Sunshine.”

“You’re just asking for it, you know,” she reminded him, her face blank as lightning poured down, infusing her with more power and energy. Her hair was aglow and flying about her face in a halo, illuminating her features and making her appear breathtakingly beautiful.

“I love watching you work, Ororo,” Hank rumbled fondly.

“This isn’t work, Henry, this is pleasure.”

The scanner’s aerial rays continued to catch and reflect the energy and attract it from the sky and surrounding flora. Logan didn’t have to strain his vision anymore to detect it. It had been flowing with greater frequency as time passed, and Ororo had sat beside him at the campfire, occasionally whispering “Just look at that. It’s…just so amazing.” They both stretched out, legs sprawled lazily and feet occasionally touching as they observed the dance of energy currents, and during the course of their trip, they had fallen into something companionable that felt a lot like friendship. Furtive looks at each other flew back and forth, each one looking away when the other caught their eye.

Ororo wished she had Peter’s drawing abilities and a sketch pad to capture Logan’s essence, the way he was here. Rough-hewn, natural, and in his element in the Canadian wilderness. His skin was ruddy with exposure to the wind and sun, and his crisp, dark hair shone with faint auburn highlights that made her long to run her hands through it, burying her nose in the scent. The low evening light brought his profile into stark relief as she continued to study him. She would miss these little opportunities, she mused. Then she shook herself.

Bright Lady above, this was Logan, for heaven’s sake. And she was…she was…

She wasn’t Jean.

Well. That settled that.


Sub-basement level, Oyama Heavy Industries:

“Cornelius, status please.” Stryker noticed the absence of the symphonies and opera that he’d come to associate with the doctor’s labors in his anteroom as he placed his palm on the security plate. His breath caught in his throat as he stared through the observation cubicle.

Cornelius leaned against the tank, caressing it lovingly with his palms as he gazed inside, awestruck as a new father counting his infant’s fingers for the first time.

The lithe, naked body floated, still suspended in the tank, various wires still monitoring her vital signs and decorating her flesh, which was now completely intact, a perfect sheath of skin that glowed slightly translucent from her long sojourn in the nutrient bath.

Slender fingertips floated, searching for purchase as her eyes slowly fluttered open. The fingers grazed the interior of the tank curiously, and her expression was dumbfounded as she pawed at the air mask over her lips. Bubbles stirred beneath her feet as she began to acclimate herself, turning this way that to take in her close quarters.

The EEG and CAT scan monitors were off the chart, clicking and beeping madly as the tapes rolled out with broad scratches and readings that Cornelius had lost interest in the moment he was her body begin to twitch with intentional movements.

“Sergeant…say hello to Eve.”

“God saw all that he had made, and it was very good,” Stryker grated out instead, gripping the console for balance as he fought to breathe at his normal pace. His hand curled into a fist as he raised it high and banged it against the console in triumph. “Yes,” he cried, “yes, yes!” His shout rang out and echoed off the steel walls, and his face nearly cracked with the broad smile that was completely out of character for the stoic soldier.

Rippling waves of coppery red hair fluttered and swayed as she turned to watch his approach. Her brow furrowed as she tried to place him and guess his intentions.

“Enough lollygagging, Doctor. Let her stretch her legs. Take her out of there, she’s turning into a prune.” Cornelius ambled into the step ladder and unlatched the safety clamps atop the tank, and almost automatically the fluid began to bubble and drain from away. Her face was initially calm, until she lost the support of the fluid that buoyed her and held her aloft, and she slumped against the walls, clutching frantically for balance. Her hands trembled as the fluid continued to sluice off her skin, leaving her hair plastering her skin in long, mossy runnels. Stryker heard her frantic gasps through the air mask and felt the hairs on his own nape rise with the awareness that her latent gifts were coming back sooner than they had anticipated.

He did the only thing that he could at that moment.

“It’s all right, my child,” he murmured, bracing himself against the tank wall, making small shushing sounds to sooth her. “Look at me. It’s all right.” Her strangled moan was slightly muffled as she began to claw off the air mask. With a lurching clunk, the tank began to lower itself into the floor, and her hands nearly slipped as the wall that she supported her receded away.

She pitched and tumbled forward into his waiting arms as Cornelius fetched a blanket out of the warmer. She didn’t fight him as he held her in a snug grip, his thick wool sweater and the nubby acrylic blanket scraping her senses raw. Tenderly he peeled away the mask, letting her suck in her first unassisted breath of cold, sterile air. Her cheeks flooded with color as she choked and spasmed, coughing as she struggled to adjust. Her bottle green eyes dilated as she looked up into his face again, trying to place him.

“Welcome to the world, Miss Grey.”

“Wh-who, who am I?” Her voice was raspy and sounded foreign to her own ears.

“Whoever I tell you to be,” he promised, smiling warmly at his new charge.


Back at Alkali’s shores:

The ground rumbled beneath Logan, launching him off the rocks where he’d reclined to watch the magnetic field do its work.

A clap of thunder that Ororo hadn’t summoned pounded their ear drums and vibrated through her body, tearing a scream from her lungs.

“GODDESS!”

“Holeeeeee…STORM!” He didn’t dare touch her, but a look of agony twisted her features into a violent grimace as lightning flooded her, then rushed back up at the sky in a seething blanket of electricity. Random bolts and sparked flitted from one scanner to the next, disrupting their array and nearly frying the circuitry as each one was now recalibrated to work at triple their previous speed.

Logan had crawled over to Hank and covered him with his body, digging into the ground with his claws as a means to anchor them both against the onslaught of Ororo’s winds.

“Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by they name,” Logan heard Hank rumbling out a hasty prayer.

“This ain’t the time ta pray, Blue! LOOK AT HER! We’ve gotta do something, damn it!”

“I’m open to suggestions, Wolverine, but right now I’m hard pressed to do anything more than hope we’re not her next target. I’ve known this woman for years. She has pinpoint-accurate control of her powers. This isn’t control.”

“Gee, ya think?” The winds whipped themselves into the beginnings of a cyclone, wrapping around the lake and making the water rise, pelting them all with icy mist.

“AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!” Ororo’s screams churned Logan’s gut and made his legs rubbery. He couldn’t stand her suffering, and didn’t have the first damn clue what to do about it. His claws itched as he remembered back to Alcatraz…no.

Not for one damned second. This wasn’t a woman caught up in the grip of passions spun out of control. This was a woman who was actually fighting for control. Ororo would sooner die than harm those she loved and longed to protect.

“Stay,” Logan barked to Hank.

“Easier said than done!” Without Logan’s adamantium-enhanced weight to hold him in place, Hank flew back from his perch, until he slammed into a tree and found a feasible grip, clawing into it for dear life. Leaves and stinging water pelted him, making his flesh feel raw even beneath his protective layer of fur.

“Darlin’, ya gotta knock this shit off, now!” Logan insisted, tugging himself forward with more determination than he could remember, meeting Ororo’s gaze and gale head-on. “What’s happenin’ to ya? What the fuck are ya doin’?”

“Not me,” she cried. “It’s not me…AAAGGGH! HURTS! It’s…it’s JEAN!” His heart had been slamming in his chest, but it stuttered and sank into his shoes at her words. Time seemed to stand still for one horrible moment at her revelation. “She’s…she’s doing this through me, I can’t stop her, I can’t…” Her scream was hoarse and deafening as the lightning crackled and threw him back, burning into his chest. He rolled futilely on the ground, clutching his chest against the searing pain, and as he met her gaze, she beseeched him, her face wreathed in apologies.

“I didn’t…she didn’t mean…oh, Logan!”

“S’alright, baby, just do what ya gotta do,” he assured her, not wanting to burden her with guilt on top of having her body shanghaied and wielded like a puppet. Or an instrument, he realized.

She followed his instructions to the letter. The scanners and magnetic field pulsed with a stream of crimson light, infused with fire that seemed to engulf the growing volume of red energy and Ororo both. Ororo’s eyes spouted sparks of lightning and flame as she cried out one last prayer.

“SCOTT! COME BACK TO MEEEE!”

…and he did.

Every scattered atom of Scott’s being made its way home in a frantic rush. Out of the flames licking up around the magnetic field, Scott Summers stood, trembling, vibrating with energy, looking thoroughly confused and staring at Logan, completely dumbfounded.

Not to mention as naked as the day he was born.

“What the…hell…hapeeennnnneeeddddd,” he slurred. Logan lurched forward and caught him as he fell, nerveless and limp, shivering with cold.

“HANK!” he bellowed.

“I’m okay,” he cried out, more to reassure himself than anyone else. Logan heard his large feet stumbling through the brush.

“That’s a relief,” whimpered a tiny voice by Logan’s elbow. His head whipped around to gaze at Ororo as she staggered to regain her balance, passing a hand over her exhausted brown eyes. “You can put him down now,” she suggested.

“What? Oh.” He laid Scott on the grass for a moment. “Why?”

“Cuz I need y’to catch me,” and her voice tapered off as her knees buckled beneath her. He was just barely getting his own equilibrium back but he ignored it, reaching out halt her tumble to the ground. She felt too light in his arms, and her skin was chilled. Ororo’s hair fell in a silvery curtain over his shoulder as he cradled her carefully, looking thoroughly flummoxed when Hank finally reached him.

He lowered himself to the ground beside Scott and held onto her tightly, looking fearful and unsettled as Hank scrambled onto the jet to find the medical kit and radio Peter.
Prodigal by OriginalCeenote
A faint groan was the first sound that penetrated the haze of her jumbled thoughts as Ororo stirred awake. The voice was too masculine to be her own, but it was achingly familiar.

The whistle of oxygen piped through the air and tickled her ears as it flowed through the cool tubes of the cannula, making the palate of her mouth raspy and dry. “Mmmmmphh.” She tested her voice and her body cried out in protest at her fledgling effort to lift her hand. “Ow.”

“Ororo?” Hank’s voice drifted back to her, and she squinted up at him, hating the glare of the setting sun as it filled the cabin, backlighting his blue fur with sapphire-bright fire as he swam into her line of vision. She managed a smile for him, even though it hurt.

“Hullo, Henry,” she slurred. Whoooooooo…thoughtful, lovely Hank. She experienced a wave of dizziness and blessed numbness as he turned up the dose of her morphine drip. She fidgeted to make her arm more comfortable around the tube of the IV.

“You’re still looking a bit peaked, dear,” he tsked, “but your pretty mouth isn’t quite so gray, thank goodness. It might do Logan some good to know you’re up and around. Well, ‘around,’ anyway. Don’t move, just relax and get some rest until we reach Westchester. Plan on spending the next few days in the infirmary, without lifting so much as a finger until I pronounce you fit for duty.”

“Henryyyyy...” she whined, pouting even as the good sense of his announcement penetrated the blissful fog of the medications. “S’not faiiiirrr. Meanie.” Her eyes were already fluttering shut, and her face softened into slack smoothness as she settled back down.

“Aaaannnd she’s back out. Vitals look good, though,” Hank muttered. He returned to his co-pilot seat. “You can quit snarling at me now, she’s fine.”

“I know that, bub!” Logan’s hands were guiding the Blackbird’s controls competently but with a great deal of white-knuckling as they soared over the mountains. He was too frustrated and upset to enjoy the view.

He had lost the Professor, the one person who gave a damn about helping him untangle the mess of his past and gave him something to focus on that was bigger than his years of pent-up rage. He had lost Jean and failed to stop One-Eye from walking out on them all and preventing his death. A short while ago, he’d come close to losing his emotional anchor to the school, maybe even his anchor to his life, what was left of it.

And right now, he was this close to losing it, because her life, Hank’s and now Scott’s were in his hands as he flew them home as quickly as the turbines would allow. Hank had offered to take the helm, but Logan shooed him back into the cabin as he slapped the headgear into place and radioed Peter with an E.T.A of when they would be back, letting him know to get the medlab ready, because they had two near-casualties coming in, red-hot and popping. He promised him explanations later and closed the connection brusquely, cursing at how they’d been caught so unaware.

Ororo had cried out that Jean was creating that display of fireworks. So that left the obvious question: Where the fuck was Red?

Hank leaned back in his copilot’s chair and reached into the depleted shopping bag and found the last packet of Twinkies. The cloying sweetness of sugar and lard reached Logan’s nostrils and made him wince. “How can ya eat that crap?”

“Nature’s finest food,” Hank boasted, breaking the sponge cake tube apart and lapping up the creamy center with a sigh of contentment. “Or comfort food, anyway. My departed mother used to send me these in my care packages after the Professor collected me and brought me here. Jean, bless her heart, used to stick a few in my Christmas stocking. Although lately I’ve had to fight with Bobby to leave me some, the lad’s incorrigible and has a teenager’s hollow leg.”

“Hope Petey’s gone shopping,” Logan grumbled. “I could eat anything that ain’t nailed down.”

“You’re telling me.” Hank rummaged through the bag and found the nearly empty pouch of beef jerky. “Gnaw on this to tide you over in the meantime, Wolverine.”

“Logan,” he muttered. “Call me Logan.”

“Ah. Good. I was beginning to wonder if you had a first name, or any name, other than the alias Charles provided me with. Er…is that your first name?”

“Ya got me.” He took the proffered jerky pouch and tucked it between his knees, yanking out a withered strip of beef and chewing it endlessly, with little enthusiasm. “I go by Logan. Don’t know how I got the name, but it works.”

“Suits you,” Hank agreed pleasantly. He licked the remnant of cream filling from his gleaming claw and chucked the crinkling wrapper into the bag. He let a few minutes of silence pass between them before he went out on a limb, gazing at Logan with those unfathomable, intelligent yellow eyes. “Is there any particular reason you’ve been teasing Ororo like some schoolyard bully?”

“Sez who?” he huffed.

“Sez me,” Hank shot back, nudging himself further out from the limb while Logan was still busy steering and unable to carve him a new one. “I’ve listened to you two go several rounds of one-upmanship, pranks, one-liners, pinching fights, tickling fights and Lord knows how many rounds of who has the bigger set of cojones between the two of you…”

“Ya can safely assume that honor goes ta yers truly,” he grumped around a mouthful of jerky. He craved a beer to wash it down but he forced it past his throat with a stubborn swallow.

“If you like,” Hank considered on a heavy sigh; Logan was going to drive him stark raving mad…or rub off on him, if he wasn’t careful. “Why do you like getting a rise out of her so much, man?”

“She makes it so damned easy.” He peered into the jerky bag, then decided what the hell, and wedged another piece into his mouth. “And she’s damned cute when she gets mad.”

“True. She’s cute when she’s in a good mood, too, which you’d realize if you’d quit riding her so hard. She’s a proud woman, Logan. Out here in the ‘Boonies,’ if you will, that kind of behavior’s perfectly fine…but cut her some slack in front of the children.”

“I don’t even cut the kids any slack, most of the time. Ask any of ‘em.” He’d dangled Kitty upside down by her ankles until she turned red in the face when she’d hid his cigar case in the girl’s locker room. It was a pretty shade of red, he reflected. “Ya know, I don’t think I’ve seen a helluva lot of these fabled ‘good moods’ of Storm’s that yer prattlin’ on about lately.”

“What do you expect? She has responsibilities that have virtually tripled since assuming the Professor’s duties as headmistress. The school’s enrollment is higher than it’s been in a long time, Logan. She’s bound to have a lot on her mind. And she doesn’t have many to share those thoughts with anymore.” The air between them felt heavily charged. Logan grunted and scratched his stubbled jaw in thought.

“She’s got you. And Petey. She still calls up ‘Elf once in a while,” he catalogued, although it was a stretch, since Kurt retreated back to his homeland to resume his life at the abbey, pronouncing it a more fit life than one that would likely bring him into the line of fire.

“You heard me when I told you that she’s a proud woman. My responsibilities are divided between the school and White House, my friend. Ororo’s my dearest friend, she knows I’d move heaven and earth if she ever needed my help…but she would never admit to needing it. It chaps my hide when she thinks I’m too busy to listen, when she’s struggling under burdens that make Atlas look like a pussy.” Logan almost choked on his jerky and looked at Hank in surprise. “What?” he demurred. “Smaller bites, my friend.” Then he brightened. “We’re in the home stretch!” he cheered as Logan flew them over familiar landmarks.

“Great.” Anything was better than flying this high-tech cage and gulping back the motion sickness from the turbulence that knocked them into an almost constant jitter as they dropped altitude. “How’s Scooter?”

“Alive.” It was a simple statement, but he choked on it, still unable to digest it. Logan peered around to face Hank and noted the tight posture and the way his pawlike fingers dug into the arm of his chair. “Alive and well,” he amended, “or he will be, once I have the chance to examine him and run some tests.” He swallowed thickly. “As for how he’ll manage, now that…now that’s back with us, I couldn’t begin to surmise.”

“Ya brought him back, Blue. Ya gave him his friggin’ life back. He’ll manage.” Hank smelled the lie but opted not to argue. The day’s events were overwhelming, he was absolutely knackered, and his two oldest friends were lying unconscious in the stuffy cabin of the jet; even his analytical mind couldn’t fathom how the ramifications of what transpired today would affect them and alter their lives.

He’d never played God before. He decided he’d stick to his day job.

Logan brooded to himself the rest of the way back to the school. He’ll manage. Really? Would he? Scooter had been sporting a layer of unshaven growth that made Logan look baby faced, his clothes had hung from his frame, and his cheekbones stood out in stark relief from his lean face. He’d been pretty frank when Logan had tried lamely to get him to open up: “Not all of us heal as fast as you, Logan.” One-Eye just didn’t get it, he mused. Who the fuck said he’d healed at all? The wound was still as raw, gaping just as wide as it had the day he felt Jeannie’s last thoughts fade from his mind when she tossed the Blackbird clear from the dam.

The security lights were blazing brightly as Logan maneuvered the jet back into the landing bay once it rose up from the basketball court. It was late; he knew they’d missed dinner, but all he wanted was to get Ororo and Scott safely settled in the infirmary, all in one piece. He caught himself and indulged in a rusty chuckle.

…all in one piece. Damn. Poor Cyke.

What the hell did Jeannie do to the poor bastard?

Peter was already letting himself inside the hangar, already good and lathered. “What happened, Hank? What happened to Ororo, is she…” He froze as Hank backed his way out of the jet, descending down the ramp to prevent the gurney holding Scott’s limp form from rolling too fast. “Oh, my God,” he whispered, thunderstruck. He staggered back a step and leaned on the doorway a moment as he continued to stare.

“I briefed you before we took off,” Hank reminded him politely.

“Seeing is believing. He’s really back.” Peter’s face was less chalky as he looked down at Scott’s face, deceptively peaceful in slumber. “Will he be okay? Is he okay? What’s wrong with him?”

“He just came back from the dead. Give him a little time ta catch his breath, Petey.” Logan had quietly followed Hank down the ramp, wheeling Ororo’s gurney whisper-smooth and dragging her IV pole with great care. Peter’s brow furrowed as he approached her side.

“She looks like hell.”

“Lightning. Lots of it. Don’t ask. Better yet, make us some coffee, if ya wanna be helpful, bub.” Peter assisted them in getting their two charges into the infirmary and transferred Scott gently into the bed, raising the rails and covering him with the crisp white sheets. His skin was flushed with goosebumps from the night chill; Logan thoughtfully shuffled him into a spare pair of his boxer shorts and one of his white undershirts to keep him decent and modest for the trip home. Having any of the kids that were likely to still be up at this hour see their headmistress and long-lost teacher coming home in banged up shape would be upsetting enough. They didn’t need to see Scott starkers, too. Neither had he, but he’d keep that thought to himself, thank you very much.

Peter lumbered upstairs to start a pot of coffee and to reheat the evening’s meal. Logan busied himself making Ororo more comfortable to the extent that he could. Thankfully she hadn’t been wearing her uniform, but her long-sleeved jersey was tattered with burn marks and holes, and her jeans had seen better days. Deep bruises ringed her eyes, and a lingering fuzz of static jumped from her hair when Logan attempted to smooth it back from her forehead. She was still so pale.

“I hate this,” he muttered.

“She’ll be all right. Rest. Take a shower, you’ll feel better.”

“I ain’t goin’ anywhere,” he grumbled. He lifted Ororo tenderly from the gurney and laid her on the bed, arranging her comfortably against the pillow, even giving it a fluff for good measure. “She’d be better off in something else than those jeans,” he pointed out.

“Take them off,” Hank agreed. “She won’t want them back, they’re in tatters. The rest of what she has on will do for now.” Hank turned back to the cabinet and reached for clean towels and antiseptic. Logan began the careful work of removing Ororo’s boots, thankful that they were simple, ankle-length, and had a zipper to make removing them easier. He gently rubbed some circulation back into her bare feet, noticing how slender they were. They were surprisingly nice feet; her arches were high and she had slim little ankles and a narrow heel. It amused him for some reason to see that he second toes were as long as her big ones, and that she had polished the nails a shocking shade of electric blue. Who’d have thought? It unnerved him to work on the button on her waistband next; the act was too intimate, and he hated undressing a woman without her express permission…or her enthusiasm and willingness to help.

Her eyes fluttered open and stared at him briefly as he tugged the fastening free from its hole. His hand stilled, then pulled away from her, resting on the rail as he met her gaze.

“Hey, darlin’.”

“Hey,” she managed, trying for flippancy but only managing dazed.

“How do ya feel?” She shook her head slightly to quell any further questions, then winced at the lancing pain that action caused. He ventured one more. “Want outta these?” He nodded to her jeans.

“Uh-huh.” Her hand fumbled for the zipper, and she sucked in air at the effort to tug it down before Logan covered her hand with his. His palm felt warm against her skin, something that comforted her.

“Easy. Lay back, I’ll handle this, just gimme a sec.” His hand slid away as he made his way to the foot of the bed, reaching for the pants cuffs and tugging them down the length of her legs. He tried not to stare and failed miserably. Wow. Sculpted, tapering thighs and dancer’s calves met his hungry gaze. He felt color creep into his cheeks, grateful that the hem of her shirt covered her tiny panties and the treasure they hid from the world, or he’d have been completely lost. Whatever ya do, darlin’, he mentally chided her, don’t raise yer arms…if ya don’t want me ta have a heart attack.

He chucked the pants into the metal trash bin and retrieved some sheets from the linen pantry. Hank already had a blanket in the warmer and was opening up his medical bag. He hung the stethoscope around his neck and eased Ororo’s sleeve up her arm to wrap it in the blood pressure cuff.

“You scared us, young lady.” Ororo listened to the pumping sound of the cuff as Hank squeezed the bulb, squeezing her arm enough to protest that she’d already had enough of a beating for one day. Having her arm squished didn’t help any, no sirree.

“Don’t do it again,” Logan added.

“I’ll try not to,” she promised. “I don’t think I could if I tried. It wasn’t all my doing.”

“So ya said.” Logan seated himself beside the bed on a small wheeled stool and let Hank work interrupted. Hank’s fingers were gentle as he felt her lymph glands and checked her pulse. His fur tickled, but thankfully it wasn’t enough to irritate her nerve endings. Her skin was still charged with static, making her feel almost oversensitized, but the painkillers were helping. “What happened to ya, kiddo?” His tone was soft rather than gruff.

“One moment I was summoning lightning, just a low charge,” she mused, “enough to look pretty but not enough to do any damage.” Logan chuckled, and she answered it with a sly smile.

“And it was pretty,” Hank agreed, humming tunelessly as he turned her face toward him to look under her lower lids, tsking at the broken capillaries on her skin.

“The next…it was like someone just yanked it out of my hands.”

“Got away from ya, did it?”

“Yes,” she replied dryly. Hank shot Logan a warning look, but Logan chose to ignore it. “All of it got away from me. I even got away from me. I felt her.”

“You felt Jean?” Now Hank was hesitating in his ministrations, resting the stethoscope beneath her collarbone but nearly forgetting about it. “How?”

“It’s difficult. When Jean was…alive, we had a connection. We always did. Empathy. An emotional connection that always let her know how I was feeling. It was a deep, wonderful bond. She was like a sister to me.”

“Yes, she was,” Hank agreed. He unwrapped a sterilized tongue depressor and beckoned to her to open her mouth. Logan, however, was interested in hearing more.

“Anything like ever happen before?”

“Nev-ahhhrr ‘ahk dahs,” she garbled around the tongue depressor, never seeing it coming as Hank peered at her tonsils with his penlight. She cleared her throat, “Never like this,” she repeated. “Every once in a while, Jean would have a case of night terrors after a mission, and she’d hit me with the feedback from it. The most that would happen was Scott complaining at me the next day to help him knock the icicles off the eaves of the roof so no one would get hurt when they melted and fell.”

“Icicles?” That didn’t seem too bad.

“In the middle of July,” she qualified.

“Gotcha.”

“Jean used to project what she was feeling if she was on a short tether. At her core, she was a telepath and a telekinetic,” Ororo explained, “but to a lesser extent, she was also an empath. Through the connection that she and I had, I could pick up on her feelings whenever she let them ‘leak.’ Scott was similarly privileged with that trust. Except that he was her anchor. I was just a life jacket, when the need arose.”

“Everyone needs one sometimes,” Logan mumbled. “She was lucky ta have ya.” He surprised himself by thinking that out loud. A life jacket. That was Ororo to a tee. He felt her mood shift before he saw the surprise in her eyes at his admission. Hank turned away before Logan could catch his own look of disbelief.

“She never intentionally forced me to use my powers, or used them for me so dramatically before. It was always my own instincts that triggered my power in response to my own moods, or occasionally, her. This…was unique. And terrifying.” Hank fetched her a soda and popped the tab, handing it to Logan as he excused himself to go upstairs.

“Stay with her.”

“I ain’t budgin’ an inch, bub.” He nodded to Ororo. “Can ya sit up?”

“Kind…of “ ooh!” She winced sharply at the discomfort that caused and rolled to support herself on her forearm, forgetting about the IV in her elbow. “Smarts,” she complained.

“Quit doin’ that, then, lemme help ya a sec.” Logan nudged her back against the pillow and looked for the controls to raise the head of the cot. “How d’ya work this gizmo?”

“The button with the little ‘up’ arrow on it,” she suggested helpfully. The twinkle in her velvety brown eyes that accompanied this theory was enough to convince him that she’d live. He punched it and watched the bed adjust itself until she motioned for him to stop. He tucked the straw into the soda and wrapped her hand around it, steadying it when her grip faltered slightly, spilling a thin stream onto the sheets. She sucked the much needed moisture through cracked lips, groaning and falling back against the pillows when she’d had enough.

“Thank you.”

“Sure.” He set the can on the table and felt constructive conversation escape him, no matter how hard he chased it. Fuck. That left him tap dancing around the elephant in the room, then…

“Uh, I’ve been meanin’ t’talk to ya, Stor…Ororo. Shit. This ain’t easy…”

“You’re stammering. This is a first. Why are you stammering, Logan?” She waited for him to get his act together, wondering at his clenched knuckles and the way he ranked his fingers through his tousled peaks of hair. It was late, she knew he had to be starving and craving a shower; her own skin was crawling with layers of dust and grime from spending half the week outdoors and on the Blackbird.

“Quit it! I’m tryin’ t’get my point across here,” he snarled at her, bequeathing her his Sunday-best scowl. She kept her own face serene. Just figuring out what my point is, in the meantime…it’s around here somewhere. “Back at Alkali, in the woods, y’know, when we running around, goofing off in the dark, and Blue was yellin’ at us ta knock it off ““

“He said he was going to throw us both over his knee. Don’t put it past him. Go on.”

“Look, Ororo…yer a woman.”

“Yes I am. Thank you for reminding me.”

“Lemme finish. Yer one helluva fine-looking woman, and goddamn it, I’m male and sometimes, I think with the wrong head. Especially when there’s somebody underneath me…”

“I got the drop on your sorry butt for a minute, don’t leave that out. It was one of my finer moments.” She was secretly pleased at the grudging compliment he had given her, but she wasn’t in a mood to simper.

“Ya ain’t gonna make this easy, are ya?”

“If you’re going to say what I think you are, I don’t want to.” She drummed her fingers silently against her blanket-swaddled abdomen. “You’re about to tell me that kissing me was a mistake, that I shouldn’t take it the wrong way, and that we should put this behind us.” Just like that, she took the wind out of his sails. He opened his mouth, then shut it again.

“Fuck. Ya don’t wanna cut a guy a little slack?”

“Should I?” Her gaze held him and made him feel truly naked, as though she’d wrenched him around to find what he was smuggling behind his back like a naughty child. “I wouldn’t have to cut you some slack if you weren’t trying to blow off what happened.”

“I’m tryin’ ta blow ya off?”

“Yes. Yes, you are.” He ticked off the alarms that rang in his head, one by one: Matter-of-fact tone, stony eyes a mere shade away from killing him, stubborn tightening around that mouth, and emphatic finger drumming. Yup. She was pissed, and she was just getting warmed up.

“I ain’t tryin’ ta do any friggin’ such thing. Fer cryin’ out fuck’s sake…I ain’t blowin’ ya off. I’m trying ta explain what happened.”

“You did. You were thinking with the wrong head.”

“Uh-uh. I could barely think at all.” He shook his head and reached down to still her fingers mid-tap. “Quit that. It’s frustratin’ when ya do that. Ororo, something in me saw you lyin’ there, lookin’ good enough ta eat, and I wanted a taste REAL bad. Ya can’t blame me fer stealin’ one. Not under the circumstances. I could feel ya, darlin’, every inch, and ya felt so damned right. And ya didn’t exactly fight me, either. Ya might be mad at me right now, and ya might think ya’ve looked at this from all the angles, but I know this: Ya liked me kissin’ ya. And I don’t think ya wanted to stop.”

“Braggart,” she huffed. “Arrogant, cocky, braying…”

“Uh-uh-ahh,” he scolded gently, waving his finger in a classical “naughty, naughty” gesture. “Can’t tell me I’m braggin’ til ya let me put my money where my mouth is.”

“What, ‘put up or shut up,’ is that it? Let’s go with the latter. We aren’t having this conversation anymore,” she replied coldly, but he saw the spark of pique and felt a flare of arousal beneath her anger that triggered a rush of heat in his vitals.

“Fine, then.” Logan had a dangerous look in his eye, and his pupils were dilating with something that she couldn’t name. His other hand came down against the mattress, boxing her in as he dipped his head to silence a half-formed protest that formed on her lips, effectively cutting it off.

“Logrrrrammphhh!” Ororo balked at her brain’s urging to just tell him to haul his hardheaded ass upstairs and take his “we weren’t thinking, it’ll never happen again” speech with him; he tasted too good for her to manage more than parting her lips a little to let him inside. She whimpered and squirmed, ignoring her body’s myriad discomforts to better focus on his touch. She became aware of his fingers combing through her tangle of hair and making a sound of approval in his throat. She drowned in the feeling of him, the faint rasp of his stubble rubbing her skin and making her tingle.

Logan followed her suggestion his own way. He put up, and she shut up. For the moment, that suited him fine.

When she was up and around, however, they were going to revisit this. Heck, yeah.

Mindful of her ordeal that evening and its effects, he kissed her with tender care, brushing his lips over hers as though he were catching the drips off an ice cream cone, not wanting to miss one precious taste. Ororo’s fingers snaked their way into his hair before wrapping themselves around his nape, unwilling to let him go.

She didn’t know whether to feel relieved or outraged that he stopped. Damn you, Logan. Damn you for making me feel like this.

“Scoundrel,” she muttered.

“What???”

“That was where I left off before I was so rudely interrupted,” she snapped, recovering herself from the blissful haze she had settled into during their…whatever that was. She licked her dry lips, tasting Logan’s irresistible flavor and Sprite.

“Is that all, Yer Highness?” He imitated the pose she’d favored him with so frequently, feet set widely apart and planted, with his hands on his narrow hips, with that wicked cock of his eyebrow.

“For now.” Her brain added more adjectives to the list that she’d never utter aloud. Sexy. Earthy and rugged. Sensual. Masculine. Bad brain, she chastised; where were you when I was here making a fool of myself, kissing him again? Her brain didn’t answer, but her nerve endings and libido were crying out for another go. He grunted and turned away from the bed.

“Logan, are you leav-“

“Chill out a sec, ‘Roro,” he muttered. “I told Hank I ain’t budgin’; I just wanna fix something that’s botherin’ me.” He rummaged in the tiny metal drawers and withdrew a small tube. The school was equipped with medicines and all the comforts and necessities of a school nurse’s office aside from the surgery and lab suites. There were samples of lotions and topical creams on hand and within easy reach. Logan unscrewed the tip of the tube of Lubriderm cream and squeezed out a tiny tab. He took her jaw in his large hand and cradled it, tipping her face up to rub the cream into her cracked lips, ignoring the tiny frown lines between her brows until he was finished.

“Felt like sucking face with an iguana,” he lied. That shot down any possibility of letting her ask why he was being so nice.

“That’ll teach you,” she shot back. “If you’d given me half a chance, I could have gargled in cod liver oil and garlic, just for good measure.” Her brown eyes sparked with defiance, bringing her beauty back with it and undoing some of the ravages of her exhaustion.

“Wouldn’t put it past ya, Sunshine.”

“Don’t think I won’t get my own back for that name once I’m back on my feet.”

“I’m countin’ on it.”

Their exchange came grinding to a halt when Scott moaned in anguish from his cot a few feet away. Ororo’s cheeks flushed; had he heard what just transpired between them?

Goddess, she hoped not.

Scott’s face was twisted in anguish, and his hand was scrabbling about his face, trying to jerk the cannula out of his nasal passage. “No,” he gasped, “don’t, Jean… please. Don’t…” His voice had risen steadily with each word, still hoarse from lack of use, but his words became a litany of pleas, which escalated to a bellowing cry that made Logan and Ororo’s hair stand on end.

“JEAN! JEAN, DON’T LEAVE ME! I NEED YOU! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Jean, no…can’t leave…don’t leave me…IT HURTS!” His body twisted and wrenched itself off the cot, and he landed on the cold tile with a sickening splat before Logan could reach his side and prevent it.

“Shit,” Logan breathed before crying out, “HANK! GET YER ASS IN HERE, BLUE, NOW!”

“What’s happening to him, Logan? Please, help him, don’t let him hurt himself,” Ororo cringed, leaning over the bed rails as far as she could reach.

“Don’t get yerself into a lather, ‘Ro, calm down. It’s okay, I got him.” That was easier said than done. Scott’s limbs flailed, and his eyes were panicked, unseeing as his face whipped around, taking in his surroundings. He fought Logan as though his life depended on it, ripping out the IV line of saline from his arms. A thin stream of blood flowed freely and splashed Logan’s already desperate-looking flannel shirt as he scrambled away from Logan, backing himself into a corner. He was shivering, whether from his lack of warm clothing and the cold tile, or from fear, Logan couldn’t tell.

“Please,” he stammered out, “please just…tell me where Jean is. Just tell me, that’s…that’s all I wanna know. Where is she?” He clenched and unclenched his fists, trying to school their shaking as Logan drew slightly closer.

“Cyke…”

“Who?”

“Cyke…Cyclops.” Logan tried again. “Scott,” he muttered, deciding that any of his usual favorite nicknames for the X-Men’s intrepid leader weren’t gonna help any in his current state. “Yer back. Yer home, safe and sound.”

“No,” he insisted. “This isn’t home. Answer me! Where’s Jean?”

“She…she ain’t here, Scott. Not anymore.”

“I don’t believe you! Sonofabitch, where’s JEAN!” A loose fleck of spittle flew out from his lip as he edged his way up the wall, struggling to stand.

“Easy…”

“Listen to him, Scott. He’s trying to help you; you’ll hurt yourself if you try to…”

“Don’t,” Scott spat, staring at Ororo long and hard. “Don’t you tell me what to do.” Deep-set cobalt blue eyes pinned her in their gaze, measuring her and finding her wanting. “You didn’t help her. You didn’t save her. You didn’t let me save Jean.” His tone was accusatory, but he wasn’t shouting anymore. He raked his hand through his rumpled chestnut hair, clutching it in his fingers as his memories began to fall back into place.

“Scott, please…”

“No. You didn’t. You…you just sat there, doing nothing. You didn’t do a damned thing, Storm!” It stung, hearing her codename spoken in such rage and denial, especially the one who treated her like the sister he never had from the moment they met. “I found her, damn it! I found Jean at Alkali! We have to go back. We HAVE to GO BACK!” He struggled and tried to push his way around Logan, who was attempting to use his broad body to wall him off from the lab’s exit. “Let me go, asshole!”

“Nothin’ doin’, bub! BLUE!”

“It’s all right,” Hank rumbled from the doorway, out of breath from his jog from the elevator. Peter was coming up behind him, deciding that if Logan was yelling for help, that they would likely need another pair of hands.

He couldn’t speak when he saw Scott standing and clinging to the counter for balance, looking like an angry, scared animal, glaring at Logan with deadly intent.

“Don’t tell me it’s all right,” Scott grated out. His tone cut into Ororo, forcing bitter tears onto her lashes as she bit her knuckles anxiously. “I want Jean. I want the woman I love, you can’t stop me from going back to get her.”

“You’re in no shape to go anywhere right now, Scott,” Hank reasoned. “For God’s sake, man, you just came back to us. You have to excuse us, Scott, but…we’re all a little overwhelmed right now. You’ve been gone for months.”

“No,” he argued. “I just left. I…I took the bike. I was at Alkali, I was just taking a break. Couldn’t stop…thinking of Jean.” The wind slowly deflated from his sails, but his eyes still held that wild look. He plowed both hands through his hair and leaned over the counter, resting on his elbows. Ororo cursed her limp legs and the wires and leads requiring her to remain in bed; she itched to go to him and lend her support. She hated seeing him so miserable and wrapped in anguish like that. “A-and I found her, she was right there in front of me, I had her in my arms…it was perfect.” Logan closed his eyes against the flood of resentment and frustration. He knew how it felt to hold her; oh, God, how he knew, albeit only briefly. It still chafed him and left him raw. “She was everything. She was back.”

“It’s all right, Scott. Go on,” Hank encouraged. He edged forward, with Peter in tow, and Logan moved aside to let the doctor approach his oldest friend.

“I was holding her, and touching her again, which should have been impossible. I felt her die. I felt the woman I love die…she was in my thoughts and she just slipped away. Then I was back at the lake, and she just rose up…she was too good to be true. Then she told me…”

“What, Scott?” Ororo quivered, her voice low, bracing herself for him to lash out again. She knew what he’d lost, better than anyone else could fathom, and she wouldn’t defend herself from his feelings.

“She told me…’I want to see your eyes.’ S-she took off my goggles like it was no big deal, told me to trust her…” a loud sniffle cut his words off, and Logan and Hank smelled the distinctive tang of saline before they saw tears dribbling off the tip of his nose, resembling spilled silver in the low light of the infirmary. “Where is she, Hank?”

“Scott…Jean’s gone. We brought her home,” Hank continued, hating himself, hating his inability to cushion the blow of cruel truth, “and something went wrong. We lost her.”

“No,” Scott insisted, “you’re lying. I know she’s alive! She just came back to me, you can’t tell me she’s gone. I saw her with my own EYES, I touched her. I kissed her! It wasn’t a trick, I’d have known if, if it was some kind of mind game! I know the difference,” he told them, banging his fist against the counter, making Ororo wince with the impact. “I’ll find her again. You can’t stop me from going to her,” he informed them coldly, daring Logan in particular to argue with him.

“I ain’t gonna stop ya, Scooter,” he assured him, holding his palms up in a gesture of surrender. He kept talking as Hank brushed past him, rummaging through a small drawer. Peter lingered by Ororo’s bed, his hand on her shoulder as he caught the ruined expression on her face, tears leaving jagged trails down her cheeks. “I know ya wanna head back there and get her.”

“Fuck off, Wolverine. I know that’s what you want to, don’t stand there and feed me that line of shit. We all know how you feel about her. You wish you were the one that found her, huh? Don’t you?” Scott’s eyes were hard chips. “Don’t you, Logan?” His voice rose and challenged him, but Logan had no intention of rising to his barb. “You just wanted to steal her away and have your jollies, didn’t you, Logan?”

“It wasn’t like that. I cared about her, but don’t make this into something it wasn’t.” He tried to keep his voice level, felt everyone’s eyes on him now, and he cursed himself for how his confession must have affected Ororo.

“Make it into what? I didn’t make it into anything. You lusted and chased after her like a damned dog, for everyone to see, and you’re just telling me you cared about her? Was Jean being my girl a turn-on for you, Wolverine? Huh? Did the fact that she was mine make you want her?”

“Scott…don’t do this shit. This ain’t the time.” He pounded another nail into his coffin with that statement, but he had to keep Scott distracted for another moment or two.

“When is the time? Do we rehash this again when I find Jean, right before you try to steal her again? Will you try to fuck her in our bed this time, just for kicks? Take her out for a spin on the bike? Or in the Blackbird?” An ugly smile twisted his full, slightly chiseled lips.

“That wasn’t all I was in it for,” he corrected him. “It was never just physical…”

“Maybe it was for her,” Scott crowed, flinging his arms wide. “Don’t think you ever meant any more to her that that, asshole,” he warned him. “Never think that. Jean loved me, damn you, she loved ME.”

“Now, Peter,” Ororo murmured, her voice soft. Her tears were still drying on her cheeks, and when Logan whipped around at the sound of her voice, her eyes were full of resignation and contempt as she started back.

“What “ let go of me! HANK! Don’t…DON’T!” The prick of the syringe stung as Hank depressed the plunger, emptying the sedative into Scott’s vein. He put up an admirable struggle under Peter’s bear-like grip, but he collapsed against him, limp as a rag doll.

“Rest, Scott,” Hank murmured. He reached out to stroke Scott’s hair from his forehead, gazing into his eyes as his lids drooped and grew heavy. “You’re not yourself. This is too much for one day, and you’ve given us quite a fright…and some things to think about.”

“She loved me,” Scott whispered weakly. “She loved me…so much…Hank.”

“I know that, Scott,” he agreed grimly. “Sleep now.” Peter scooped Scott into his arms as though he weighed nothing and laid him back onto the cot, tucking him back in with an extra blanket. This time he buckled a wide leather security strap loosely across his chest and raised his bedrails.

“Logan,” Hank grumbled, “I suggest you head upstairs and eat something now. Have a shower, get some rest.”

“Uh-uh. I was gonna make sure Ororo was ““

“I’m fine,” she snapped, bristling from the words that Scott forced from him. “Go. Hank is here, I don’t need anything else.” Her tone was dismissive and clipped.

“Sure. Sure ya don’t.” He stomped out of the suite. Ororo stared stonily at her hands in her lap as Peter followed Logan up, shooting her one last curious glance. Hank tsked under his breath as he moved to clean up the small spill of blood and IV fluids on the floor.

“Well, this is a fine how-do-you-do,” he huffed under his breath, reaching for a towel and disinfectant.

Amidst all the hub-bub, it never occurred to any of them that Scott met their stares head on, his eyes wide open…and his spare pair of goggles were still hanging from their hook on the wall.
Prodigal, Part Two – Lost, and Then Found by OriginalCeenote
Logan chewed on his Cubar cigar pensively, remembering the pen scratching on the short, cryptic note that he left behind for Ororo on her Post-it pad on Xavier’s desk. A halfhearted attempt at gulping down breakfast left his stomach knotted and growling five hours later at the tiny rest stop. He cursed the cost of fuel as he gassed up the bike and wolfed down two questionable convenience store hot dogs, knowing he’d be hating himself later when they “repeated” on him.

Miles of scenery that didn’t vary any further from trees changing color and the occasional toll booths whizzed past him, and his skin smarted from the wind rushing at him.

Ororo’s eyes still burned into him, defiant and accusing. Nice to hear you finally admit it out loud, Wolverine. You were in love with another man’s fiancée. Her mask of indifference dogged his footsteps on his way into the kitchen as he fixed himself a plate of reheated leftovers. It was no fault of how the food was prepared; Peter was a helluva cook, but the food stuck in his throat. He chased it down with a cold beer and ruminated over the homely crumbs and his own angry thoughts.

Scott called him out. Damn.

A year ago, he couldn’t have argued with him. Sure, he carried a torch for Jeannie, all but set himself on fire with it. He argued the point back and forth with himself as he popped open his second beer. Jeannie was the whole package; anyone would fall in live with her. Smart, sexy, sweet, funny and damned tempting…that was enough to catch his attention before Scooter warned him to stay away from his girl. Getting his goat, well, that was just a bonus.

That left him here, running away again, back to the source of everything fucked up in his life. Alkali kept pulling back like a magnet. How long would it be before his nightmares there and his obligations at the school tore him apart? Logan grunted to himself; he missed the rugrats already. When did he become such a softie?

Logan hated the cowardly feeling of running out and leaving things unresolved with Scott, and just plain unfinished with Ororo, but there were still too many questions, too many rocks left unturned. He knew he smelled Stryker at the lake. Blue would have known he was right if he’d been there when they lost Jeannie, his own senses wouldn’t have lied to him if he had any clue to go by.

That begged more questions. How could he have made it out of that flood? How did he get away? Where had he been holing up?

Even worse, who had helped the bastard?

Logan once again silently thanked Scott for making sure the bike was equipped with satellite radio as he tuned it to a station of country and old blues to keep him company on his trek.

{Flashback}:

Logan scraped his plate into the trash bin and rinsed it before he dropped it with a muted clank into the lower rack of the dishwasher.

“He was just overwhelmed, Logan. He wasn’t himself,” Hank rumbled behind him. “Things will look better in the morning. Just give him the chance to adjust.” Hank contemplated the beer sitting on the table briefly before he shook his head, opting for some coffee instead. He laced it generously with creamer as he continued. “He’s not quite…himself.”

“Ya weren’t here those last few days before he left, Blue. That was Scott talking, loud and clear. He ain’t the same guy ya knew. He’s a lot more blunt.” He left the thought unspoken that he’d grown a bigger pair of cojones since he left, too.

Will you try to fuck her in our bed this time, just for kicks? Ouch. Granted, it wasn’t like he thought of Summers as a friend anyway, not by any stretch “ guy walked around like the bug up his butt was choking on all the starch in his shorts sometimes “ but it rankled that he thought so little of him. He’d changed. The old Logan would have given as good as he got, maybe egged him on a little with “Naw, Summers, I wanna give her a little change of scenery. Ain’t all that exciting in yer bed anyway, from what I could gather.” And he would have enjoyed the resulting smackdown to the hilt.

“I get the impression his reaction downstairs wasn’t unprovoked,” Hank suggested.

“Don’t go there. I ain’t in the mood.”

“Fine. You’ll need to talk to him again eventually, Logan, and set things straight. The children are impressionable, many of them empathic, psychic…and definitely vulnerable. We’re the adults. We set the example for them to follow. If Charles were still here, he wouldn’t abide discord like this.” He sipped his coffee thoughtfully. “I don’t want to give Scott a clean bill of health and then find the two of you outside, kicking each other’s asses on the front lawn.”

“Eh. G’night, Blue.”

{end flashback}

The rest of his trip was uneventful and didn’t leave him any less restless. By the time he got there, the sun was considerably lower in the sky, which was turning that deep sapphire on the edge of the horizon. He parked his bike and set up his tent, glad that the firewood that he’d left behind hadn’t been taken. He decided to start the fire when he got back from the compound, and unpacked the small battery-powered lantern from his supplies. He began his trek through the woods, mumbling to himself, “Time t’go into the belly of the beast.”

Stryker’s scent was still there, fleeting but discernible from the myriad aromas of the thickly wooded copse. He’d smelled it on the rocks on the shore, but it came back to him the closer he came to the dam. Logan paused as he reached the tiny clearing and found the twisted wreckage of Stryker’s helicopter. His eyes dilated and he felt as though someone had just walked over his grave.

No body.

The length of chain that had bound him to the landing gear of the chopper lay in a limp, rusted heap. Logan knelt down and gripped them in his palms, running over the length of links carefully, looking for clues.

There were no cut marks from where Stryker could have used something to saw through the metal. There were a few abrasions in the metal where it looked like the links were pulled taut against the landing gear and scraped against the sturdier metal of the wheels. Logan vaguely remembered how the panels of the hull had warped and twisted themselves back into place as Magneto slowed their descent, repairing the jet’s external damage, but doing nothing to repair the system itself. He wondered if that had been intentional on his part, knowing that it would hinder their escape once they made it out of the compound. He cursed the old terrorist for endangering the lives of children that way in his selfishness to use Stryker’s crude Cerebro for his own ends.

The links weren’t bent apart; he knew this wasn’t Magneto’s handiwork. It was as though he had crawled free, or maybe, he mused, someone wrested him free. The only one who could have pulled a stunt like that was Jeannie. That left him to ask, Why?

Why show the sanctimonious old bastard mercy?

Logan plodded his way to the ruins of the compound, satisfied when he found the metal grate over the holding pen where Artie and the kids had been held hostage. The metal was rusted like the chains had been from the immersion during the deluge when the dam broke free, so that weakened it. Logan’s claws had no trouble slicing through it. The shock of the concrete under his feet ran through his legs as he jumped through the opening. Logan savored one last glance at the sky above him before he made his way into the catacombs.


Back at Westchester, the next morning:

“Whaddya mean, we can’t see him?” Kitty eyed Peter with the “are ya shittin’ me?” glare that she had picked up from Logan, her face incredulous as she planted her hands on her hips.

“Doctor’s orders. Scott needs the chance to get his bearings back. He can’t do it with everyone climbing all over him with questions.” Peter felt badly about it, but he resumed scrambling the enormous skillet of eggs, crumbling a few chunks of cheddar cheese into the mixture before he turned down the heat on the burner.

“I’m not everyone. I’m Kitty. And I don’t crawl, I phase,” she clarified haughtily.

“Doesn’t matter. Sit. Eat. Do something constructive,” he suggested. He tossed an appraising glance over his shoulder and liked what he saw. Kitty was comfortably dressed in boot-cut, low-rise black jeans and a snug, long-sleeved jersey in charcoal gray with a pink Happy Bunny logo and matching pink stitching and trim around the neckline. Short, black leather boots shod her feet, and her posture was proud and graceful, making her appear taller than her mere five feet, five inches. Years of dancing and gymnastics honed her physique into a thing of beauty, sparely built and without an ounce of flab. Her shiny, sable brown hair was loose about her shoulders, which if anyone had asked him was his favorite way of seeing her wear it. But she’d never ask him his opinion.

She was too busy giving him a piece of his mind.

“Constructive? I’ve got your ‘constructive’ hanging right here, Rasputin! This…this SUCKS. Ororo’s still recuperating, Logan’s off doing his own thing, whatever that is, and the hell if I know! And now Scott’s back among the living, but not back among us, leaving us with one less adult in this place to keep the school running like a school. I took over Ororo’s introductory chemistry class yesterday and ran a PE class for the K thru fours, just to pick up the slack. I don’t mind, Pete, since I love Ororo like the mother I wish I had, but I just want an ETA on when I’ll get my own life back!”

“Scott’ll appreciate you being so worried about his well-being.” Peter turned to empty the scrambled eggs onto a serving platter, just setting down the pan on the burner before he felt a sharp “thwack!” against his butt. “Ow! Kitty, what was that for?” The twisted roll of dish towel was still brandished meaningfully in her grip, and her hazel eyes blazed up at him. Yup, Peter decided, she was definitely cute when she was mad.

“Don’t give me that shit. I AM worried about Scott. I’m not some unfeeling bitch, thank you very much. Don’t you think all the kids are wondering why their favorite teacher, Mr. Summers, isn’t back at the helm? Or that they’re wondering why they can’t see him? Haven’t they already been through enough losing Jean and the Professor?”

“Take it easy, Katya, I’m not the one you need to be yelling at.”

“Don’t act like I don’t care about Scott.”

“I know you do,” he soothed, reaching out and twisting the towel loose from her grip before she decided to zap him again. He tossed the towel onto the butcher block table, then captured her wrist, tugging her toward him and wrapping her in a bear hug that she didn’t expect. “I’m sorry, Katya. I’m just following directions from Hank. I haven’t seen much of Scott since he’s been back, but he’s not himself. It’s best not to crowd him right now. Give him another day or two to settle in. And if you needed a little help with Storm’s class schedule, all you had to do was ask. I can handle a PE class for a bunch of kids, it’s not rocket science. I can leave that part up to you.”

Kitty was stunned to find herself relaxing against the solid bulk of Peter’s chest, and her arms crept up and wrapped around his waist of their own accord. Various fresh smells made up his scent as she rubbed her cheek against his navy Russell Athletic sweatshirt. “I just hate not knowing when things’re gonna finally go back to normal.”

“What’s normal?” he quipped, noogeying the top of her head with his chin and tugging on a lock of her soft hair. She stifled a laugh, burrowing more deeply into him.

“It was awful, y’know? One minute, Ororo was telling me that Jean was back, they had her in the infirmary, and that the Professor was doing what he could to bring her powers back in check. It was just so exciting having her back, and wonderful, and terrifying and I just didn’t have the first clue of what to think, how to feel…I never even got to lay eyes on her to make sure she was all in one piece. Not until we went to Alcatraz.” Kitty found her footing less firmly planted on the kitchen floor as Peter slowly, gently rocked her. Her eyes stung, and she felt slightly guilty using his shirt as a makeshift Kleenex. “And that was horrible, Peter. She was back! She was back with us, and then the next minute, she was gone all over again! And…and I couldn’t do anything about it. We couldn’t save her,” she sniffled. “I hate that we couldn’t save her. We have these awesome, amazing powers, and we can’t even save one of our own? How could that happen? How could we let that happen?”

“Don’t say that, Katya,” he chided her, but his hand stroked her hair, massaging her scalp very, very tenderly. “When all was said and done, Jean had to want to be saved; nothing we could do to help her mattered a bit if she wouldn’t accept our help.”

“Have you told Scott, about what happened, and what Logan had to do yet?”

“Hank briefed him this morning.” He paused a moment to loosen his embrace and let her back out of it, his hands lingering on her upper arms. She straightened and scrubbed the stains from her cheeks with the hem of her sleeve, trying to regain her composure, but truth be told, his hug felt so good… “It didn’t go well.”

“Of course it didn’t,” she agreed, then tsked under her breath. “Sorry about your shirt.”

“My shirts have seen worse. Grew up on a farm, remember?” She pulled a face, and he read her mind, silently answering her with crinkling eyes: No, not this shirt! He passed her a stack of plates and a silverware caddy. “Now, getting back to doing something constructive; how about setting the table for me while I finish this up?”

“Not a problem, Piotr.” Peter found a smile drifting across his lips at her retreating back. During simpler times, when things between them had been less complicated, she always called him by his birth name, and he always called her by the Russian equivalent of hers. A lot had happened, a lot of their previous illusions had turned to dust, but he felt a familiar warmth sweep through him as he savored the mild, flowery scent of her shampoo that clung to his shirt, along with the lingering feel of her embrace. His morning had been rough after standing by in the infirmary as Hank delivered the horrible news to Scott, but at least there was a bright spot now that he could take with him through the rest of the day.

Peter was just setting out the fried ham and sausages alongside the eggs and tossing orange wedges into the automatic juicer when the students began to troop downstairs. Kitty took up Ororo’s customary duty of serving everyone’s plate and doling out injunctions not to spill or horse around at the table.

“Hey Pete, what time’s our Danger Room session today?” Sam yawned as he made his way into the kitchen, hunting around in the refrigerator for the milk. He was just about to take a hearty swig out of the jug when Dani poked him sharply in the ribs. He met her nonplussed expression with a shy grin as he realized what he’d been about to do, in clear view of everyone at the breakfast table.

“That your own personal gallon of milk, Guthrie? Don’t bogart it, we don’t want your cooties.” She reached into the cupboard and handed him the Spongebob glass; it still tickled him that she kept tabs on little details like that.

“Nothin’ like a little somethin’ extra on your cornflakes, Dani.”

“Like what, backwash?”

“Ew,” Kitty grimaced, wrinkling her nose. “You guys are gross.”

“We aim to please,” Dani grinned. She reached for the Honey Nut Cheerios and a bowl and beckoned for the milk jug once Sam poured his fill.

“Don’t s’pose ya made any grits?” Sam looked hopefully at the spread of food on the table.

“Instant stuff in the cupboard,” Peter nodded.

“Ain’t the same. But it’ll do,” he shrugged, filching a couple of sausages for himself and searching for the grits. Marie and Bobby eventually made their way down and scrounged the leftovers. Peter did a head count and decided to make more food to accommodate any late risers. He set a place for Hank and made a note to himself to take a tray down for Scott; he had to be starving after sleeping sedated for ten hours. Ororo had asked to be moved out of the infirmary to recuperate instead in her own loft, pleading that it wasn’t as claustrophobic as the laboratory-sterile environment and steel walls downstairs. Hank released her with the injunction that she wouldn’t lift a finger or overtax herself, and he recruited Marie to grade test papers and photocopy syllabuses and test papers in the interim until they could get a replacement teacher for a few weeks. Dr. Mactaggert had recommended her colleague, Sean Cassidy, very highly. Hank had finished running a background check, noting that his work history included a lengthy stint working with Interpol.

Warren and Jubilee trotted downstairs next, eyeing the fresh batch of bacon and eggs possessively, promising that they’d save Sage some, but Peter didn’t believe them for a second.

While Peter brought Hank and his patient some sustenance, Ororo studiously disobeyed Hank’s orders and went to work in Scott and Jean’s old suite, cleaning it and airing out the space. She washed the bedding, except for the pillowcases; if there was a chance that even the faintest scent of Jean remained in them, she wouldn’t rob Scott of that comfort. The floors were mopped to a shine, and she polished every surface, taking steadfast care to replace the objects in their exact places to keep it the way Scott was accustomed to having it. It was the least she could do, she thought miserably.

She hated that she couldn’t do anything else to set things right. She didn’t have the patent on bringing those she loved and lost back to life, despite what transpired on Alkali’s shores. She couldn’t repeat it if she tried.

The experience left her feeling raw and on edge, and she still wasn’t one hundred percent. She considered brightening the space with some of her plants, but decided that Scott might not be in the mood to accept anything from her yet, even simple words. She craved and dreaded the inevitable confrontation with equal fervor. The mansion had to be big enough for the two of them, or she didn’t know how they would manage.

Ororo reached for the framed photo of the two of them, taken for their engagement announcement in the Daily Bugle. The black and white four-by-six glossy stared out at her from a “shabby chic” tarnished silver frame that she and Jean had picked out at Pier One and felt cold and heavy in her hands.

“I felt you, Jean. Goddess knows how, but I felt you working through me.” She set the frame back down, swiping the dust rag over it one last time. “I wish you’d tell me where you are. I can’t…can’t keep losing you like this. It hurts too much.”

“Beating yourself up won’t help matters any. Nor will disobeying an old friend who confined you to your bed until you were back up to snuff.” Hank leaned his heavy bulk casually against the door frame. “Well? What do you have to say for yourself?”

“This hurts too much,” she confessed. She needn’t have bothered; as soon as he saw her look of anguish, he’d already hurried forward, wrapping his burly arm around her shoulders and nudging her out of Scott’s suite.

“Of course it does, Ororo. It’s just too soon,” he crooned. “Up to bed with you now. Gray hair mingled in with all this blue will look ridiculous, don’t you think?”

“Distinguished, Henry, not ridiculous.” She didn’t refuse his help as he assisted her up to her loft.

“You’re still not back up to full strength. My aunt Mathilda would have made you take a spoonful of cod liver oil, gargle with salt water, and sleep with onions in your socks; I’m a much softer touch.” He let her collapse onto the foot of the bed, and she was surprised at how relieved she felt as she landed on the springy mattress. Hank rearranged her pillows and fluffed them up as she settled herself.

“What would that have accomplished, other than giving me stinky breath and feet?”

“It would have scared the sickness right out of you. That’s how the old-fashioned home remedies worked, they encouraged you to take better care of yourself in the first place. Speaking of which, look at your bare feet, young lady. You’ll catch your death.”

“Colds are caused by viruses,” she corrected him.

“You lose body heat through your extremities,” he retorted. “Humor me. Put these on.” He brandished her slippers at her before inserting her feet into them with a great deal of pomp and chivalry. “Stay put. I’m going downstairs for some coffee. I’m making you some tea, and you’re going to down every drop.”

“Yes, Mom.” Hank reached out and tweaked the pert tip of her nose between his finger and thumb. “Hank, how is Scott?”

“Coping,” he rumbled. “Only time will tell. He’s coherent. A good night’s sleep helped with that. He’s not in pain, but he’s still very weak and off-balance. Physical therapy and a few sessions with a wonderful psychiatric colleague of Charles’ might help him make the adjustment…” his words trailed off as he bowed his face into his hand, massaging his temples.

“Do you think he can adjust, Henry? Do you think he’ll want to stay, after everything that’s happened?” Ororo wasn’t so sure anymore. He’d been so quick to leave before, so willing to part from the only family he had, as though he couldn’t look at them anymore, and after last night’s revelations, it would be harder to face him now.

“Scott will have to find his own reasons to want to stay, Ororo. We won’t make up his mind for him.” Beast knew how hollow his own words sounded, even to his ears. With the Professor gone, he might not cling so steadfast to his dream the way he once had. And with Jean gone, he might place as much importance on his own life.

“Henry…I don’t know what to tell him. I don’t know how to convince him he should stay.” Her hands twisted the blanket in her hands, wringing it anxiously, and Hank knelt by the bed with concern in his eyes.

“Ororo…will you blame yourself if he leaves again?”

“Yes!” Darkening clouds rolled across the sky, washing away the glow of the mid-morning sun streaming in through the window. “You heard him last night. He blames me, Henry.”

“Charles related the details of the retrieval at Alkali, Ororo. You were in the cockpit. Scott attempted to bring Jean Back inside the cabin of the Blackbird, and he drove him back with her teke.” His furry hand covered her and stroked it in an effort to ease the tension from her body. “Didn’t she?”

“Yes, Henry, she did.” Her eyes were still haunted and smudged with dark circles. He heard the disbelief in her voice and pressed on.

“Jean was a stubborn, determined girl, Ororo; couple those qualities with the immense power she harnessed that day at the lake, and I will tell you right now that you never stood a chance of bringing her back inside. Kurt tried, according to Charles. She teleported him back inside, Ororo! She manipulated his powers in the interest of keeping him safe. What would you have done if you were outside the jet? You focused your powers on lifting the jet, Ororo. You were responsible for the lives of everyone in that cabin, exerting unimaginable levels of wind. You don’t know that your power would have held back that wall of water. Jean wouldn’t have let you fly her free any sooner than she let Kurt ‘port her back to the bloody plane.” Hank forced Ororo to look him in the eye, lightly gripping her jaw to still her adamant shake of her head at his logic. “There was nothing else that you could do, Ororo. I miss her, too! Don’t you think I wish I could have been there? It killed me to see her like that, raging out of control, as if we didn’t matter to her anymore.” Ororo’s shoulders shook, but she held his gaze. “The cure was based on my research, and I couldn’t use it to stop one of my closest friends from destroying herself.” Ororo bit her lip, struggling against the cries that clawed their way out of her throat, but sagged against her old friend in defeat when he asked her, his tone smooth as honey, “Ain’t we a pair?”

Thunder rolled and boomed overhead, reverberating like a chorus of timpani drums, and Henry murmured platitudes into her hair as she clutched at him.

“Ororo, when you blame yourself, and beat yourself up for something that was beyond your control, you’re hurting someone I care about very much. It frustrates me to witness that. And when I get frustrated, I do foolish things, such as holing up in my lab, gorging on Twinkies, dreaming up genetic research that falls into the wrong hands…you get the general idea.” She lifted her face long enough to favor him with a quivering smile.

“Right. Blaming myself equals overindulgence in Twinkies and potentially disastrous research. And if I don’t obey your injunction to stay in bed, you’ll stuff onions into my socks?”

“Glad you took that away from this discussion.”

“I love you, Henry!” She cuddled him close for one last hug before releasing him.

“Stinker. You’re just saying that so I’ll ignore that you got out of bed.”

“Did it work?”

“Of course not. And I love you, too.” He nodded to her slippers. “Keep those feet covered, young lady.”

“I’ll try to behave myself,” she promised. Well, she’d try, anyway.


Alkali Lake, Weapon X compound catacombs, two days later:

Logan mopped his sweaty brow with his tattered flannel sleeve, cursing at himself to bring more water with him on his next trip inside. He knew that his work was just about done here. His knuckles throbbed mercilessly as they healed from the last round of “excavating” that he’d done working his way inside, slicing through airlocks and doors as he navigated through each tunnel and hangar.

Stryker’s scent was stone cold here; this wasn’t where he was hiding himself, that much Logan knew. He might have taken temporary refuge, but he hadn’t lingered. There were no rations, no supplies; no one had even so much as used the toilet in the tiny lavatory off to the side of the control center. The facility was abandoned, much the way that his team had left it.

Except that two bodies were missing.

He was inside the mildewy, moss-covered walls of the duplicate Cerebro unit, sitting on the end of the ramp and pedestal. He smelled old blood “ he knew it was Stryker’s son’s, he saw the mangled metal of his wheelchair buried beneath the rubble, but there was no body, not so much as a severed limb. Bloody fragments of a hospital gown were his only clues that yes, he’d been injured during the collapse, but he wouldn’t make the same mistake again in assuming that the mind-bending invalid was out of the picture. After all, he’d had help.

Deathstrike’s scent was cold, too, but it led him in here, once he’d finished his walkabout through the control room and discovered the adamantium tank. Algae and noxious bacteria floated on the mildewy yellow nutrient fluid, and the metal mesh net was rusted just like everything else was from submersion under tons of water, but again, the tank held no body, no physical sign of the woman he’d left there, incapacitated and staring up at him with blank eyes. More old blood spattered a trail of gruesome stains through the complex. He eventually found wider marks, streaked across the floor as though someone had been dragged away.

Logan grunted to himself. Well, this stinks.


Back at Westchester, Scott Summers’ suite:

Scott stared blankly at the furnishings and draperies in his room, absorbing the colors and textures slowly, scarcely believing they were real. Color. He ground his knuckles against his eyes, squinting at the low-grade headache that seemed to linger ever since he came back upstairs from the infirmary. The get-well cards from the students lay in a small pile on the bureau, still unopened.

The past two days found Hank giving him a clean enough bill of health to leave the sub-level and get some much needed daylight. He could walk well enough on crutches for the time being, but he occasionally still lost his balance and tired easily. His equilibrium was still off, and his depth perception couldn’t be fully trusted yet, either. His entire spatial awareness changed once his powers were pronounced inactive. Hank warned him that they may indeed be only “dormant,” as opposed to “gone.” Scott tucked his goggles into his bedside drawer out of long established habit, following Hank’s suggestion that he wear a pair of them looped around his neck on a lanyard, “just in case.” Scott joked dryly about looking like a librarian with glasses on a chain, and Hank felt a flare of hope that he was on his way back to them that was quickly extinguished when Scott announced that he just wanted to be left alone.

Scott took his meals in the kitchen after normal mealtimes for the students were over, clinging possessively to his solitude and shrugging off questions about how he was. He still didn’t know how he was, if anyone wanted the honest truth. Every now and again, curious eyes would peek around the edge of his door, but he waved them away with a limp smile, doing nothing to convince anyone that he was all right.

Ororo had taken alternative routes around Scott’s room for a while, but she reached the decision that she couldn’t “ refused to “ do that indefinitely. Scott was her teammate and fellow teacher. More importantly, he was her friend, once. She wanted him back, even if she risked widening the rift between them for her efforts.

She knocked lightly on his door, which was only slightly ajar.

“Go away, please. Not in the mood for company.”

“Then I’m truly sorry, Scott. But I’m not in the mood to cooperate.” She swung the door wide, letting in the cooler air of the hall with her.

“I could just throw you out,” he muttered, staring her in the face for the first time since his retrieval and giving her a weighty stare with his cobalt blue eyes. It still unnerved her to see those eyes out from under the obstructive ruby quartz lenses. They were intelligent, intense eyes, deep-set and widely spaced with enviably long lashes and tapered dark brows. And right now, they were full of barely suppressed rage and resentment. This, she realized, could easily become ugly.

“Ten minutes of your time, Scott. Then you can have the rest of the day to wallow up here undisturbed.”

“I’ll give you five.” He glanced at the tiny brass clock on the dresser. “Four minutes and fifty seconds.”

“Fine. I’ll be brief. I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything.”

“You can be a little more specific.”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t save Jean.”

“On second thought, let’s skip this altogether. Go back to your plants. Or your classes, or your desk in the headmistress’ office, but just don’t come here and open a new wound. I’m already bleeding, ‘Ro. I don’t need this.”

“What do you need?”

“I need Jean. That’s all I ever needed in the first place.”

“Scott, she’s gone.” She admitted it without hesitation, even though her own heart cried out that it couldn’t be true; she’d felt her presence, felt her wielding her lightning, guiding her hands…

“You don’t really believe that.” And there it was. “She came back once…” His voice trailed off.

“What does that mean then, Scott? That you just drag your whole life to a screeching halt, waiting for her to come back again?”

“Fuck you,” he muttered, his voice low and rough. She saw the tightening around his lips, his nostrils flaring like an agitated animal. “You call this a life? I have no life without her. What I had before I met her was a steaming pile of dogshit. I lost my parents, Ororo. I lost my brother, I lost my home, and I woke up with powers that won’t even let me look anyone in the eye…until now, but in the meantime, what the fuck am I doing at a school for ‘gifted youngsters’ when I don’t have that gift anymore, huh?”

“You should leave that up to Cerebro to decide, and let Henry run some tests.”

“Who’ll run Cerebro, Ororo? Answer that one, genius. We don’t have any psychics on campus anymore to even operate it anymore. What do you suggest next? A metal detector? Litmus paper? Divining rod? I’m open to suggestions.”

“I could go one better than that. Why don’t I drop you off the roof to see if you can teach yourself how to fly?”

“Cute. That’s three minutes down, Ororo. Round this up, ‘kay?”

“Henry told me something a couple of days ago that really opened my eyes, Scott. He said that if Jean made her choice, and that if she really thought we could have saved her without jeopardizing everything, without being buried under that water, then she wouldn’t have fought us so hard. She did what she did because she felt she was the only one who had a chance at buying us the time to break free and get airborne.” Scott looked away, stubbornly gluing his eyes to the shuttered window. Seeing him avoid her gaze, Ororo planted herself in his line of vision, angrily yanking open the blinds in his window to let in some sunlight.

“Close that damned thing, now!”

“No.” Her tone was blunt. “I won’t let you rot away in this dungeon and wallow in the dark.”

“It’s my dungeon, and no one invited you.”

“I’ll be sure to tell that to the children the next time they ask me or Henry if it was their fault that you don’t want to come back and spend time with them. Sure, they’ve lost Jean, whom they loved as much you did, and they lost the Professor, the one man on the planet who wanted to help them live normal, worthwhile lives after society and their families abandoned them, but hey, they’ve learned to live with disappointment. They’ve gotten pretty good at grieving, too, Scott, let’s give them some more practice. Better yet, why don’t go out back, into that damned memorial garden that I spent so much time tending and caring for over the past few months,” her voice broke, but she didn’t pause, “and dig a hole in front of your headstone, so we can finish the job! We can kiss your ass goodbye!” The words flew out before she could stop them. Ororo was out of reasons, and the truth defied sympathy as she vented the anger and helplessness that she’d locked away these past few months. “I’ve mourned you once, Scott,” she moaned, “I can do it again…if I have to.”

“Maybe…you’d be doing me…a favor,” he hissed, and his face crumpled before he rolled to a sitting position, planting his bare feet on the floor and supporting himself against his knees. “Because I can’t live without her. And I can’t…can’t live knowing that I didn’t do enough to bring her back.”

“Jean took you away from us, Scott. You realize that? You were dead. Or at the very least, not of this world anymore. Henry never gave up. He believed he could bring you back.”

“I wish he hadn’t.”

“Please don’t say that!”

“What d’you want me to say?” Tears rolled hotly down his cheeks, and he scrubbed them away. Ororo resisted the urge to go to him; his posture was still too stiff, his anger still rolling off of him in waves, thick enough to cut with a knife. His wounds were still too raw. “Wherever I was, wherever she sent me, I didn’t want to leave. I was safe. Nothing could hurt me. She put me away where nothing could touch me, Ororo, and for the only time in my life, I felt peace.” He trained his bloodshot stare on her, forcing himself to look at her, to really see her. She was trembling again, hugging herself and leaning against the edge of his bureau. That’s when he heard the first crack of lightning. “Do you have any idea of what it’s like to lose that?”

“Yes, Scott. I do. In the space of a week, I lost you. I lost Charles, and saw my best friend kill him.” He bowed his head into his hands and shook it, trying to dispel it, but it was out in the open. He couldn’t shut it out. “You don’t just get over something like that, Scott. How much worse was it for me when we discovered that Jean killed you? How do you think that affected us, Scott? Don’t you know…don’t you have any clue what you mean to us?”

“Stop. Stop this. I don’t want to hear anymore.”

“I’m not finished. You will listen to what I have to say. I won’t keep this bottled up, because it’s killing me, and I hate seeing you like this. I died that day, Scott, when we buried Jean. You haven’t been downstairs yet, to the garden. Her headstone’s right next to yours.” A yelping groan of anguish escaped him, dripping with sorrow, and she couldn’t stand it anymore. “I know. I know. It’s too much to swallow, but it’s true. We lost you. And you haven’t truly come back if you won’t embrace your life again, among us, your family.” Ororo thought back to her parting shot to Logan when he left the school to go after Magneto: If you’re with us, then be with us. That sentiment haunted her now, but held the same impact and meaning.

She sighed heavily and glanced at the clock. “That’s six minutes. I won’t keep you…”

“No! Don’t…don’t leave. Please.” More tears slipped free. “I need you. Don’t go. I can’t do this alone.”

“I won’t let you.” Three steps and she was at his side, kneeling up into his arms. Her tears mingled with his as she kissed his cheeks soundly, burying her face in his neck as they held onto each other for dear life. It had been too long, and it felt so good to have her brother back. “So help me, I would have killed you if you made me get that shovel from the garage and dig that hole, Summers.” They remained like that for some time, while a steady rain drummed against the mansion’s roof. Scott’s heartbeat was strong and even, comforting as his sobs ebbed away and she reassured him that yes, he still had a family and a place in the school, and that he was still loved, mutant or not.

“Jean’s out there somewhere,” he finished at last, wiping away the last of her tears as before she straightened up. “She’s in here,” he indicated, pointing to his temple.

“She’s also in here,” she said, indicating her own head, “and here,” she said, placing a fist over her heart. There was little left to say. Ororo called down to Peter to fix Scott a lunch tray and to bring it up to her loft before she helped him upstairs. She stopped long enough to grab a pair of socks for his chilled, bare feet, threatening him with Henry’s onion remedy if he didn’t cover them properly. It was good to finally hear him laugh.
Busy Signals by OriginalCeenote
They enjoyed playing with her. Yuriko chanted the declaration in her head like a mantra everyday when they changed the bags of nutrient fluid that sustained her. The young interns occasionally brought in laughably insignificant, tasteless rations of solid food, as though they were doing her a favor. Her organs “ or what passed for them “ had long healed from the damage inflicted by the adamantium clot lodged in her abdomen. Stryker and his favorite pet, Doctor Cornelius, were taking their sweet time reconfiguring her neural net and recharging the nannites fortifying her circulatory system and higher brain functions.

They’d forgotten about the woman inside the machine. Machines couldn’t express rage. Machines had no soul.

But they could be programmed to kill. That was all Stryker wanted when he’d “drafted” the Wolverine into the Program, a killing machine. Rather than scrap the program that left a few dozen Program operatives and technicians dead and Cornelius grievously wounded, they decided to create a new weapon using “recycled parts,” namely the unwanted female heir to Lord Darkwind’s technological empire. Girls were useless; her status as a mutant made her undesirable, a liability to her family name and dynasty. Stryker, the Oyama family’s trusted tutor and colleague, was the natural choice named as executor of the estates and Oyama Heavy Industries, the leader in the cybernetic field.

She’d already known shame and was no stranger to rejection. Thanks to her tutor’s persuasive methods, she knew pain. The drugs had kept her docile and malleable. The nannites bolstered her natural healing factor, repairing near-fatal damage three times faster than her own body would allow. From the first moment that the cybernetics were grafted to her body and the adamantium burned its way into her veins, setting her nerve endings on fire, she knew rage.

That rage had found a target in the retired Army sergeant constantly spouting scriptures and dosing her with the strength-enhancing, mind-altering narcotics.

And here he comes…

“Good morning, Yuriko,” he called out cheerfully, his heavy footsteps preceded by the squeal of the steel hinges of her chamber door. The room was a box, undecorated save for the tiny blue glass of daisies that one of the female technicians sympathetically believed would “brighten things up a bit.” She vowed that her death would be quicker than the rest, as a courtesy.

She remained silent; bitterly she remembered that was how he preferred her during their tutoring sessions. Be seen, not heard. But it was the nature of the predator to never been seen, nor heard. The thought of ripping his still-beating heart from his chest and showing it to him brought the tiniest quirk of a smile to her lips.

His back was turned as he took off his wool peacoat and hung it on the hook. Briefly, she tested the strength of the steel cuffs securing her to the bed. She felt the faintest hint of give.

Stryker approached the bed, his glance appraising and clinical. “Your color’s looking better today.” He flipped up the hospital gown hem and studied the long, slender scar that trailed from her rib cage all the way to her navel. “Beautiful,” he mused. “You’re a marvel of science, Yuriko. You get gutted, pumped full of adamantium, and practically carve yourself open like a Christmas turkey, and there’s hardly a mark on you.” Amusement colored his tone, but his smile was still measured and chilly. “Don’t get too comfortable. This afternoon we’ll be making a trip to the sub-basement to adjust your neural net and connect you to the mainframe. Cornelius kindly installed some new failsafes and combat protocols, as well as a new GPS system, so you’ll never venture off the grid, no matter where we assign you. Isn’t that nice?” he drawled.

She’d show him nice. Sugar and spice, that’s what little girls were made of.

As soon as he left, pleading other obligations needing his attention, Jason touched her mind again, as if to ask “Is he gone?” Yuriko smiled, looking almost beautiful again.

Soon, she told him. Very soon.


Sub-basement level, Oyama Heavy Industries:

“I think our girl could use a change of scenery,” Cornelius murmured. “She’s a little restless today.” Within the confines of a glassed-in observation suite, the red-haired occupant focused on something small and insignificant in the corner of the room. More of Cornelius’ beloved classical music flooded the room at low volume as she reeled mutely from the last dosage of psychotropics. Her nape still stung from the searing absorption of the fast-acting narcotic. She swayed slightly, whether it was to the music or caused by some vision in her mind, Stryker couldn’t tell.

“When will she be ready?”

“That depends on our girl here. Here are the results of the last few sessions with her memory recall, psych interviews with the interns and techs, and we’ve already started running tests. It’s been promising so far.”

“Is she…still one of them?” Stryker asked, almost dreading the answer. They were so close. Cornelius sighed and scratched his scarred scalp.

“…yes. She is. We don’t know the extent of her power, whether the telekinesis can still be accessed, or if the genetic duplication of those neural cells caused any damage. We need to be sure. These things can’t be rushed.”

“I need her, Cornelius!”

“I know, Sergeant. But I need to run some more tests.”

“What are you looking for?”

“The duplication process was a success. In all the ways that matter, she’s Jean Grey. Her own momma wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. But for what you need her for, we need to dig a little deeper. See if she has all of her memories. Instincts. Loves. Relationships.” Stryker shot him a look that told him he wasn’t buying it. “Every tool has an ‘on’ switch, Sergeant. We need to make sure hers still works. It’s a delicate process.” Stryker strode back to the chest of drawers and dove back into the one he wanted, withdrawing the slender plastic sheath.

“All you need to do is turn it on, Doctor,” he grumbled. Without further preamble, he overrode the security protocol and unlocked the chamber door. Cornelius hung back and waited, watching him with trepidation.

“Jean?”

“Hmm?” She quirked a slender, arched eyebrow at him and smiled beneficently, reminding Stryker of Botticelli’s auburn-curled beauties that his wife used to love so much whenever she dragged him to any of the museums at Golden Gate Park for the afternoon.

“I’ve got something for you, sweetheart. A present.”

“For me?” She looked at him quizzically.

“You’ll like this.” He reached into the plastic sleeve and withdrew the engagement ring, still slightly tarnished, then held it out to her. The dim light of the chamber was still enough to heighten the beauty of the stone, throwing tiny prisms across his fingers as he brandished it in front of her.

“That’s mine,” she breathed. It wasn’t a question.

“Yes it is,” he agreed. “Take it. Try it on.” She never hesitated, but her fingers trembled slightly as she plucked it from his thickened fingers. She peered at it from different angles, and her brow furrowed slightly as she read the inscription, mouthing the words silently before she slid it onto her left ring finger.

“Scott,” she murmured. She looked at Stryker with a million questions. “I know him. He’s…he’s important. Special to me.” She gazed down at the ring again. “He loves me,” she pronounced.

“Of course he does. Who wouldn’t?” His tone was cajoling and light.

“He’s very special,” she repeated. Her green eyes narrowed slightly as she continued to focus on the ring.

Before his very eyes, the ring glowed and gleamed as minute particles of tarnish and mildew began to float off the ring; the metal was fortified and polished, nearly good as new as she turned her hand this way and that, nodding when she was satisfied.

“So are you, Miss Grey.”


Back at Westchester:

“How d’you sleep with those things, War?” Jubilee asked her winged classmate around a mouthful of pancake.

“Dunno. I just…sleep, I guess,” he admitted, ruffling his feathers as he considered the question. He watched Jubilee over the rim of his orange juice glass. “Why do you ask?”

“Just curious, is all. They’re just so…big. And wingy,” she hedged, beginning to feel like a royal doofus for asking.

And beautiful, she silently admitted. Let’s not forget that. Majestic, snowy white and dream-inspiring, if you wanted to be totally honest, which she didn’t. The Worthington kid was too darned pretty for his own good, and for hers.

Especially since guys never liked her that way, anyway. Kitty never seemed like the kinda girl guys would go nuts for, in Jubi’s opinion, but she had Bobby and Peter drooling over her when they thought no one was looking. Sure, she was smart, cute, funny, could dance…never mind. She WAS the kind of girl guys went nuts for.

It wasn’t like she was a total hag, or anything. She’d been aces on her old gymnastics team back at central Hollywood High…at least until her power manifested, and a hail of fireworks took out that whole bank of bleachers and set everyone stampeding out of the gym. That sucked. Her parents were mortified, but she couldn’t even get upset with them for being upset with her for long. The police met her at her house one afternoon and had to cart her off, kicking and screaming at the top of her lungs once they’d delivered the blow that her parents had been killed.

Ororo talked her out of her life of casual crime when she found her at the mall after hours, about to break back inside to her hidey hole in the Macy’s bedding section. It was the closest thing she had to a roof over her head.

“You’re out past curfew, young lady.”
“I don’t have a curfew. I don’t answer to anybody. What’s it to you, Miss Busy Body?”
“The police put out an alert that they think they’ve found the individual responsible for multiple break-ins and for the damage to their security cameras. They mentioned that there was a short caused by what looked like a self-contained explosion that burned through and fried the panel.” Her brown eyes were kind. “You’re too young for jail, but they wouldn’t bat an eyelash before throwing you into juvenile hall. I don’t think you belong there.”
“Where do I belong then?”
“At a school where you can hone your gifts, and make new friends who understand what it’s like to occasionally be feared, and who were also displaced.” She smiled, lighting up a face that was already ridiculously beautiful. “Interested?”


It was kinda cool, Jubilee mused, having a teacher who used to be a thief, and who was also an orphan. Dani was a cool roomie, too, even if she did occasionally pull nightmares out of her head in the middle of the night after they’d all watched too many horror movies; she’d already vowed never to watch The Ring again after dark.

“Wingy?” Warren grinned.

“Well, for lack of a better word, dude. What was it like?”

“What was what like?”

“When you…you know. Had ‘the Big Change.’ Did you just wake up one day looking like the tails side of a quarter?” She covered the awkwardness with sarcasm, her usual safety net.

“Gee, thanks! And no. Maybe things would have been different…maybe I would’ve had a life outside of the house for a little while longer.”

“What happened?” She paused in drenching her remaining pancakes with maple syrup, swiping her fingertip across the spout and licking off the last gooey drop thoughtfully. The gesture distracted him for a moment; she had a really, really pretty little mouth, he realized. She just…ran it so frequently. Jubi was a total chatterbox, and he never had a clue what she’d bust loose with next.

“I mutated early,” he explained, “and it wasn’t the easiest thing to explain to a school nurse, why I had to wear a big heavy jacket even in spring. She homeschooled me. No more play dates, no more sports, nada. Sucked,” he admitted.

“Yeah,” she agreed. “That would. I’m kinda hyper, I need time out of the house. I get too restless when I’m cooped up.”

“No, really?” He feigned surprise, and she thumbed her nose at him from across the table. “You, HYPER?” But he could relate to the “cooped up” part pretty well.

“Whaddever. My mom used to say it was just a phase.” She tucked back into her pancakes. “She was always trying to limit my sugar. Don’t know why.” For a petite girl, she had the appetite of a truck driver, he marveled. He respected that. Her metabolism was almost as fast as his, since she never gained an ounce. Like Kitty, she was one of the only kids in the school who could handle Kurt’s old jungle gym obstacle course in the Danger Room, flying through the various hoops and over the oddly angled bars, light as a feather. She was fun to watch.

He’d found himself watching her more often, lately.

“See ya, Jubes.”

“Later, War,” she mumbled before taking a long swig of her milk. She wiped the mustache off her lip and waved to him, then craned her head to watch him stride down the hall. Dang, he was easy on the eyes.

Downstairs in the Danger Room, Scott and Ororo ran him through another series of exercises prescribed by Scott’s physical therapist. She spotted him on the lateral pull, standing behind him and resting her hands on the bar as she encouraged him to try one more.

“Nice work, Scott, that’s it, breathe through it…” Out of long habit, she breathed out with him, even though he was doing all the work. He grunted and gave the bar one last clean jerk before she helped him to release it slowly and evenly. She backed away to let him stretch and get his bearings, tossing him a small white towel.

“Thanks. Whoo! It’s not supposed to be this hard,” he groused. “It’s like I haven’t worked out in months!”

“You haven’t. Not this you, anyway,” she pointed out.

“I’m not any different,” he muttered. “Same old me, Ororo.”

“I’m a bad judge of that, I guess. I’ve never seen your eyes up until now, you realize that, don’t you?” She tugged the towel from his hands and rubbed his sweaty hair dry.

“Ouch! Smarts! Gimme that!” He stole the towel back and gave her a playful shove. “It’s still weird,” he murmured. “Seeing things this way. Everything looks too close. Hank told me it’s just my spatial awareness coming back into whack, or something along that line. His explanation was much more cerebral than that, but it’s different seeing everything without a constant red haze, and less magnified than I remember. And things don’t pulse anymore.”

“They don’t…pulse?”

“Yeah. It was this little flicker that I used to see around anything that used or threw off energy. Like Cerebro,” he tossed out. “Or the Blackbird, lasers, blasters, you name it. I don’t know if that was tied into my power itself, or it was the goggles.”

“Got me,” she shrugged. “Scott, do you miss what you could do?”

“I feel like I should,” he admitted, “but no. Not one damn bit. It’s just…nice. I can look at myself in the mirror and see the real me when I wake up in the morning. I’m actually in control. No kooky red glasses that make people sidestep me in the subway.”

“That wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. People on subways make me uncomfortable,” she tsked.

“The whole experience of riding one in the first place creeps you out, ‘Ro, don’t blame it on the people.” He recanted a moment later. “I take that back. This is New York. Wanna borrow my goggles?”

“Next time I go into town,” she jibed. “How are you feeling today, Scott?”

“Stiff. Tired. Can’t sleep lately.”

“Let me suit up; I’ll meet you in the steam room.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

An hour later, Ororo was standing over Scott, leaning over his prone form and massaging the knots out of his lower back with her knuckles, evoking groans that she claimed “sound like a bull moose during mating season.”

“That’s it. I’m done, stick a fork in me. That felt sooooooooo goooooooood,” he mumbled. His muscles were limp putty in her hands as she kneaded out the last of the tension in his neck.

“My pleasure. You know I’m only gonna work you that much harder tomorrow.”

“Slave driver,” he pouted.

“It’s a dirty job,” she quipped.

“You’re enjoying it too much.”

“I am, actually. I’m just getting you back for riding my butt back when I first came to the school. You’re such a Boy Scout!”

“Am not,” he griped.

“Are too.”

“Not.”

“Too. And you’ll give me the last word, or I quit rubbing and leave you a quivering heap.”

“You’re mean.”

“It’s a dirty job,” she repeated.

That’s how Logan found them as he made his way out of the locker room to steal a much needed steam bath that his muscles were screaming for after his long ride. Ororo was wearing a tiny black bikini that he was certain was illegal in at least twelve states and had a tiny gym towel slung around her hips. Her caramel skin was flushed with color from the steam room and was glowing with good health, adding to her earthy, sexy appeal. His gut did a funny little twist when he saw “ and heard “ Scott moaning and groaning beneath her touch, sounding like a guy who’d just busted a nut. His eyes were closed, but his face was relaxed and smeared with bliss.

That was his bliss, damn it. He fought the urge to run over and knock Scooter off the massage table and claim it was an accident. Oops, my elbow slipped, my bad, see? Didn’t even leave a mark…

Her smile was peaceful and full of satisfaction as she effleuraged his deltoids and shoulder blades in long sweeping strokes. Her slender hands were skilled and handled him knowingly, like she had done this before. That sent all the wrong images into his head and made him want to tear someone’s head off.

Scott picked that moment to open one sleepy eye and wave limply to him. “Hey, Logan.”

“Scooter. Storm.” He rubbed the back of his neck, ruffling the back of his already tousled hair. Ororo looked up at him like nothing untoward was going on, looking nothing like a little girl who’d been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. She just smiled at him more broadly, as though it was an everyday occurrence for her to oil Summers down and massage him into an unintelligible, groaning puddle.

“When did you get back?”

“Little while ago. Am I interruptin’ anything?” He cocked his brow. She met it with a delicate quirk of her own.

“Not at all. I’m just rubbing out a few kinks. Scott here worked hard, and deserved a little reward.”

“If I’m really good I get a belly rub and a dog biscuit after this,” Scott drawled. “Mmmmmm.” He telegraphed how good Ororo’s hands felt as she ran her fingertips over the tendons behind his ears and exerted gentle pressure.

“Ain’t this cozy,” he growled. “Steam room. I’m headed into the steam room. Already told Pete and Blue that I’m back.” He turned his back on the pair and stomped into the wet sauna, plotting Scott’s death and how to make it look like an acc…oh, fuck it all. He was a trained assassin. Wasn’t like they’d suspect anyone else, and he had plenty of motive.

The hissing from multiple jets echoed off the fogged privacy glass walls as Logan slipped off his tank top and chucked it onto the tile floor. The steam filled his lungs, helping him couch up acres of dust and Lord knew what else that he’d inhaled on his trip home. His thighs screamed in protest when he parked the bike in the garage and climbed the stairs to his room to check his messages. His knuckles still itched from the beating he’d given them slicing his way in, and then out of the dingy, moldy complex. The souped up motor on Scott’s custom bike “ scratch that, HIS bike til Scooter reclaimed it “ vibrated and thrummed through his muscles, leaving his hands pulsing all the way up to his elbows.

A sense of possessiveness washed over him, duking it out with the raw envy when he saw Scott with Ororo, writhing beneath her touch. She radiated contentment and exuded a sensual awareness of his flesh, of what would feel good.

The tell-tale musk of Scott’s arousal hit him like a bucket of icy water. He was glad he high-tailed it out of the locker room before Scott stood up from that table, or he would have seen too much “ WAY more than he needed to.

Back in the massage suite, Ororo gave Scott’s shoulder one final pat. “Off you go,” she announced.

“This is cool. I never thought it could feel like this.”

“I’ve given you back rubs before,” she argued, wiping the residue of oil from her hands on a nearby towel. Her tone held a hint of indignance at the implication that she hadn’t relieved his basic aches and pains on various occasions after missions or workouts.

“No, not that. I mean how it feels to make the Wolverine jealous enough to take my head off. Man, what a rush!” Ororo stared at him as though he’d just farted in church. “Excuse me?” Those cobalt blue eyes twinkled with unsuppressed wickedness.

“C’mon, don’t act like you didn’t notice. The scowl, the flared nostrils, the menacing growl…it was friggin’ classic. The man was pissed off! He’s finally getting a taste of his own medicine, and I got to hold the spoon! I get a back rub from a pretty lady and a chance at revenge, all in one day.”

“That’s ridiculous.” She adjusted the towel around her hips, tightening it before she helped Scott up from the table. “It’s not like that, Summers. He doesn’t feel that way about me.” She skipped telling him that he only felt that way about one woman who would remain nameless.

“Please! He caught another guy getting cozy with his woman, it was written all over him.”

“Except that I’m not his woman. He wasn’t jealous,” she declared. “Now drop it.”

“Someone’s mighty defensive.” He waggled his eyebrows at her meaningfully. “Next time, we could let him catch you rubbing my front…?” he suggested.

“Awful. You’re incorrigible. I’m giving you another set of reps on every machine tomorrow; keep pushing me if you want two.” He sighed gustily and shook his head as he reached for his crutches.

“Sure. Logan gets you riled up, and you take it out on me. How’s that fair?”

“No less fair than you badgering me about him. There’s nothing between us.” As an afterthought, she nagged him, “And don’t bait him like that.”

“Sorry, Ororo, but it’s too damned fun.” He ambled off with strong, even thrusts of the crutches toward his locker. “Gonna hit the shower. See you at dinner, Munroe.”

“Later, Summers.” The squeak of the latex cushion pads on his crutches faded off into the background as she retrieved her bottle of massage oil and put it back in the large cabinet. She eyed a stack of snowy white shower towels and thoughtfully left one outside the men’s shower suite on the bench after she heard the spray hitting the tile, telling her Scott was already out of sight. Then she headed back to the steam room with two thick, neatly folded towels for Logan.

The steam jets had already turned themselves off with a loud thunk, and the interior of the sauna was fogged with a gray haze that she almost couldn’t see her hand through. She called out to him briefly, trying to let her eyes adjust. “Logan?” She heard the sound of someone moving on the tiled platform. “I brought you some towels,” she offered. “I’ll just set them ““ She yelped out loud in surprise when he loomed up at her from the fog and heat, manacling her wrist in a stubborn grip, and she dropped the towels, raising her hand to her chest.

“Don’t do that again,” she gasped. Her heart slammed in response to his touch.

“Sorry. Thanks.” His eyes burned into her as he got a good look at the shock flooding her face.

“I was just dropping these off.”

“Don’t run off just yet.” His eyes raked their way down her body, taking in her rosy skin, every inch of it revealed to perfection by the daring little suit. The front of the bikini was knotted shut, tempting his fingers to unwrap her goodies for closer inspection. Her abdomen was taut and firm, and her tiny waist led down to a curvy pair of hips that he’d previously only had the chance to admire in that snug leather costume, or those faded jeans that fit her like a second skin. When she wasn’t looking, he enjoyed watching her hip pockets walking away.

“I need to get back upstairs.”

“I just got here. Wouldn’t mind some company,” he rumbled, giving her wrist a little tug to make her stumble closer. Her eyes sparked with irritation.

“Thanks, but I’ve already had enough steam.”

“Bull. Those look like goosebumps, darlin’, ya look like ya could use a little more warmin’ up t’me.” Callused fingers crept up her arm, stroking the tender flesh idly, getting to know the satiny texture of her skin, which indeed was flush with a hint of gooseflesh. Her stomach quivered at the caress, and she felt her nipples stiffening traitorously into taut little buds beneath her top.

“I’m fine, Logan. Trust me.”

“I do. And ya are. Damned fine, darlin’.” He lazily skimmed his fingers over her collarbones, tracing and exploring it to memorize every slope and hollow. Her mouth went dry as she continued to stare at him. The steam slicked his flesh and left his dark hair curling in unruly waves around his temples. The fine mat of hair on his chest and forearms glistened and emphasized his bulging pectorals and washboard stomach. His entire body was a melody of rippling, springy muscle, and Ororo fought not to let her eyes linger too long. She mentally kicked herself when he caught the hunger in her gaze.

“I can’t stay. I’ve got…chores. I need to handle some paperwork.”

“Gotta hurry off, huh?” He tugged on a lock of her hair, twirling it around his finger, and he released her wrist only to snake his arm around her waist instead.

“Oh!” she gasped when he yanked her against him. His skin was hot and slippery as their bellies touched, and she felt something firm insistently nudging against the apex of her thighs. “I-I should go,” she stammered. His eyes grew hooded and flicked over her mouth.

“Ya probably should,” he agreed, “but I’m tryin’ not ta take offense at not gettin’ a proper welcome home.” Reflexively her palms found his chest, and she nearly moaned at how good he felt.

“It’s good to have you back.” What stunned her was the admission that it really was.

“Thanks. Nice ta be back. But talk’s cheap, ‘Roro.” He was almost playful as he rubbed the tip of her nose with his, just a fleeting touch, and just close enough to tickle her lips with his breath. “Show me,” he demanded. He clutched more of her hair, raking his fingers through the silky mass and skimming the backs of his fingers down her jaw.

“Show you what?” she whispered, locked in his gaze.

“That yer happy ta see me,” he confirmed. “Don’t leave a man guessing,” he growled, crushing her mouth with hers, stealing the taste that he craved. Her strangled moan against his lips enflamed him, and he slanted his mouth over hers again and again, feeling triumphant when her arms wrapped around his neck. She couldn’t get enough of the feel of him; desire raced through her veins as his fingers stroked their way down her back before cupping the rounded globes of her bottom. Another growl against her lips told her that he liked what he found. He dragged the towel from her hips and let it drop silently to the floor, giving his hands better access to roam her body’s treasures and delights.

“Logan!” Whose voice was that, sounding so breathy, ragged and desperate? her mind demanded.

“Missed you,” he grated out, nipping her sensitive earlobe between his teeth. She ground her body wantonly against his hardness in agreement and nodded, leaning her head back to better allow him to devour her neck. A groan escaped him as her own hands kneaded the tension out of his shoulders, easing the discomforts of his trip home.

“Then stop going away,” she suggested. “I was right here. You knew where to find me.” She pulled back, cupping his jaw between her palms. “All you left me was a note.”

“Thought it’d help,” he confessed weakly.

“It didn’t. I went a little crazy when Hank said that the bike was gone. You worried the crap out of me. Don’t do that again.” He ducked his chin to nibble her palm and taste her pulse.

“Can’t promise anything, darlin’,” he admitted.

“Try.” She did her best imitation of his growl; he was impressed.

“Ya knew I’d come back.” His eyes were dark and rich with promises of sin and a reminder of the kiss they’d shared in the infirmary. He kissed her again, tugging on her lip and sucking it greedily.

“So that meant it was okay to leave?” His cocky tone chafed her; that was the only thing stopping her from ripping his boxers off of him and taking him on the tile.

“Had to.” This time he averted his eyes, and Ororo calmly removed herself from his grip.

“Because of what happened with Scott?”

“That was only part of it. There were a few things I never got around to back at Alkali before we got Scooter back.” And he wouldn’t have done things over for a second; bringing them back to the mansion and making sure Ororo was safe and sound took precedence over everything else.

“You can’t keep haring off,” she sighed. “We need you. But if we have to learn how to get along without you whenever you get itchy feet, Logan, then we’ll just have to muddle through.”

“Ya know it wasn’t like that,” he grumbled, scowling. Her eyes flashed at him briefly, and he could smell the shift in her body chemistry and posture. Those slender arms crossed themselves under her chest. Yup, she was ticked again. “I had ta get back inside the compound. Too much of my past is locked up in that place, Ororo. And I know Stryker was there.”

“It’s impossible. There was no way he could have gotten loose.”

“That’s what he was happy enough ta let us believe. He came after me, and brought this mess ta our front door, Ororo, and tried ta hurt the kids. He’s out there, he ain’t finished with us, and I don’t want that bastard hittin’ us where we live again. Never again.” His tone hardened with his last words. He bent down and handed her back her discarded towel. Their fingers brushed as she took it, and she felt the same tingle run up her arm, but forced her feelings back down and clamped the lid tight.

“Logan?”

“Yeah?”

“I told you back at the lake that I felt Jean inside me.” She wrapped the towel around her torso this time, covering herself to shield her bounty as she dropped the sixty-four dollar question. “Did you go back there to find signs of Stryker, or to bring her back?”

“I don’t hafta answer that.” He straightened up, stiff as a poker before he grabbed one of the towels she brought inside and wrapped it around his neck. The last of their tentative connection dissolved.

“I think you just did.” She spun on her heel and strode out of the sauna, letting the door swish shut behind her.

“Aw, hell,” he grumbled.

Thankfully, Scooter had already headed upstairs by the time he dragged himself into the shower stall, dashing himself with the cold spray to rid himself of the lingering effects of Ororo’s sweet body pressed against his.


Oyama Heavy Industries:

The klaxons rang out, filling the steel corridors of the sub-basement with their droning clamor as Yuriko strode confidently through the unit, her arm occasionally flying out, gouging through flesh and bone as the technicians made their futile attempts to stop her. The first one to die had been the most satisfying, his look of shock almost hilarious when he realized that her wrist was no longer securely bound by the manacles in the wall. She dangled the cuff from her clawed fingertips before slashing him through the jugular. Blood and gore sprayed from the wound, and she stepped over his twitching, gurgling bulk as she casually kicked the door off its hinges.

It felt so good to break something. And it was time to stretch her legs. She paused by the still-warm corpse of the kindly intern who made a gift of the limp daisies in her cubicle and quickly stripped her of her standard issue khaki uniform, callously leaving her face down as she continued toward the special room with palm identification security locks.

She lengthened her claws into pincer-like skewers and plunged them into the panel, shorting it out. The shower of sparks it emitted was almost pretty, she grinned to herself.

Ahhh, Doctor Cornelius…

He had the nerve to look shocked. “Yuriko…you shouldn’t be down here…”

“My family name’s on the sign outside, your salary is paid from my late father’s coffers,” she offered coolly, “and it’s Lady Yuriko, Doctor. You forget yourself.” Futilely he darted and ducked, throwing rolling chairs in her path as he stumbled into the observation cubicle, cursing Stryker as he fled.

He left him there, a sitting duck once the alert had been sent out from the top floor that she’d broken loose. There was only static when he attempted to use the intercom and radio the sentries. His pulse was uneven, throbbing in his neck, and a cold sweat broke out over his scarred flesh.

“Don’t,” he warned, brandishing a gun. She just smiled.

“Don’t what?” she purred cheerfully. Her eyes were obsidian chips, no longer the eerie, glowing blue indicating that her nannites and neural net were in sync with the mainframe at the complex, set to Stryker’s usual command protocols.

“We made you. We gave you a life.” Well, now he was just talking himself into a corner. “Your father said you wouldn’t suit his purposes! Look at what you’ve become! Think of what you could yet be!”

“Machines don’t have life,” she corrected him, tutting slightly.

“No. You’re unique. Precision technology. State of the art nannites. Self-repairing. The ultimate weapon.” He recited almost word for word his own notes from her original file when they’d begun the project, following on the heels of the Wolverine’s “hasty departure” from Alkali. “Beautiful,” he breathed. If he could just keep her listening…

She flicked her claws casually, letting the light glint off the liquid metal. “I’m not human anymore. Not really. That didn’t matter to you when my father revealed my mutation. I became a commodity. A donor for your little experiments,” she shrugged. “What do you think of your little lab rat now?”

“Lady Yuriko,” he whimpered, then he broke away a millisecond before she could lung for him, shoving himself backward into the tiny, nearly airless bunker. He kicked it shut and engaged the locks, diving for the drawer where he kept his stun blaster and a supply of sedative darts for instances such as these. He expected the door to implode any moment, or at the very least to hear her banging away at it. It was reinforced steel, nearly a foot thick, built like a vault.

He was awed when he heard his favorite Rachmaninoff symphony being piped into the observation suite. More sweat broke out on his forehead, dripping into his eyes as he loaded the blaster with a cartridge and prepared the sedative darts. He leaned his back against the door, pressing his entire weight against it for good measure. He knew it was a lost cause, but even if he could buy himself some time…destroy the files…clean the database to leave a cold trail…

He waited. Listened for her foot steps. The music tortured him for a few minutes, taking him back to simpler times, when he was a fledgling researcher with a passion for genetic codes and manipulation of the amazing new alloy patented by Darkwind’s colleagues. Landing the job had been a feather in his cap “

A shiver ran down his spine, making his heart slam in his chest as he heard her lilting hum. She was truly a diplomat’s daughter; she picked up the melody and maintained perfect pitch. She reached the crescendo, and he heard the sickening, twisting crunch of metal impaling flesh. She wiggled her claws, twisting them in his chest cavity.

He grunted in shock as she extracted his heart and yanked it out of his back. His eyes rolled up as if looking toward heaven, then saw nothing. He slumped to the floor, bathing it in a rapidly spreading pool of gore.

He never heard the fading symphony, or her bemused observation made from the other side of the punctured door.

“It’s bigger than I thought.” The useless organ hit the floor with a splat.

She continued to hum the symphony on her way out of the suite, shucking the offending hospital gown after she used it to wipe the blood from her hands. She retrieved the uniform and hopped into it, then began her search for Jason’s suite. To her delight, he reached out to her, sending her a visual guide to his location and confirming that yes, his father had fled the complex with his pretty new charge. His next question twisted her lips into a smile. Do you want me to play with them?

Yes.
House Sitting by OriginalCeenote
The next two weeks brought mild weather (thanks in part to Sean Cassidy’s arrival to the Institute, relieving Ororo of her literature and history classes and quelling some the panic that usually brought cloudy skies) and an improvement in Scott’s mobility and spatial awareness. His first foray back into the students’ routine found him coming down to breakfast and practically knocked down in a flurry of hugs and questions. Engulfed in the snug knot of arms and smiles, Scott peeked over their heads to catch Hank and Ororo’s shared knowing look: Aren’t you glad you stayed? He still felt that empty pang whenever he went back to his and Jean’s suite at the end of the day and let his gaze roam over her belongings and the pictures; it was a work in progress. She still haunted his dreams: Beautiful, fierce, and crying out to him to save her. The first rays of sun across the horizon always reminded him of the halo of fire radiating out from her hair that afternoon at Alkali, and he felt that funny little ache inside.

He occupied himself at the school; teaching an ethics class that Ororo suggested and helping Hank make the needed upgrades to the campus security system and the Danger Room. Kitty found a willing fellow gearhead in Scott when she suggested he help her reinstall the GPS and communication software in the bikes and the Blackbird, and after hours, he found himself keeping more frequent company with Hank and Peter, playing the occasional game of billiards or chess and just enjoying “male bonding” that he often put aside while he was a “promised man.” He’d forgotten what good taste Hank had in alcohol, and they had a good laugh at how the brandy “helped his aim” as he re-learned how to line up his shots on the pool table without using his eye beams on the cue ball.

If he had to name the biggest fly in the ointment to his recovery, it was the headaches.

Just twinges, really. A little pain around the orbits of his eyes, like what you got from reading too-small print, that gradually shot to the back of his head and just sat there. His complaints to Hank elicited a raised eyebrow and being rolled into the cavernous scanner for an MRI and CT scan study.

“What’s the verdict, Doc?”

“You’re fit as a fiddle. I have one suggestion, though.”

“Lay it on me.”

“Start wearing your goggles again.”

“Come again?” Scott fixed him with a scowl as he sat up from the table.

“I’ve been going back over your file from when you first came to the school, Scott. The Professor made some eye-opening “ excuse the pun “ notations regarding your condition when you were released from the orphanage. Right before you left, you were taken to an ophthalmologist to study your vision and some headaches you were experiencing, correct?”

“Yeah. I kinda remember it. Vaguely, anyway.” He bowed his face a moment and pinched the bridge of his nose, exhaling gustily through his nostrils. Hank saw the tightness around his mouth and tsked with concern. “What are you thinking, Hank?”

“Your eye doctor had marked your headaches up to vision changes, puberty, and all of the usual growing pains that an adolescent goes through, and he indicated that you were the first patient he’d ever encountered that he needed to prescribe the lenses for. He felt it was significant enough to indicate in your patient files that the headaches disappeared once you began using the lenses.”

“I hate them,” Scott grumbled. “There’s nothing else I can use in the meantime to help this?”

“It’s the most feasible solution I can come up with for now, Scott. There is so much we don’t know about your powers ““

“What’s there to know? I don’t have them anymore,” Scott snapped.

“You mean you haven’t accessed them since you returned,” Hank corrected him, leveling a sober gaze at his friend. “When you were younger, you had the headaches like this during a time when your powers were dormant, but slowly emerging. This isn’t something as mundane and uncomplicated as not wanting to admit you’re nearsighted for fear of wearing “geeky Coke bottle glasses,” Scott, it’s serious. Your powers may still exist. You may still be a mutant.”

“Or I might be normal for the first time in my life since the damned beams first tore everything apart, including my life. Hank…do you think I want to go back to that phase of my life? Being out of control? Wearing those damned glasses is like wearing a mask, Hank! It’s not just an ego thing. I’ve been called a Boy Scout all my life; d’ya think I care if anyone thinks I look geeky? The goggles…they hide the real me. No one can see my eyes behind them. You can tell a lot about a man by looking him in the eye, buddy. I’m tired of intimidating and freaking people out.” Scott’s shoulders were round and knotted with tension, and Hank literally sniffed out his sour mood.

“Sometimes it’s a necessary evil to take precautions like these, Scott. You know as well as I do how powerful you were. With one glance, you can punch a hole through a tank. This is a school. There are children running around these halls twenty-four seven. Every last one of them is a moving target if you don’t get over yourself and put the goggles back on.” Hank’s tone was sober and brooked no bullshit. “Children. Moving targets. This discussion is over.” Hank felt Scott’s stony glare on his back as he turned to tuck Scott’s file back into the cabinet. “Let me know if you need another pair of them commissioned any time soon.”

“I’ll manage,” Scott sighed, rubbing his nape and tugging futilely on the short, crisp waves of hair as if to scrub away the truth in Hank’s words. “I’m crippled again.”

“Only if you choose to see it that way. And the next time you try to tell me how hard it is to intimidate everyone all the time with the way you look…try being big, furry and blue, all right?” Hank shot him a sympathetic smile that Scott sheepishly returned. “C’mon, man, let’s go upstairs and eat. And clear your schedule for the next few hours.”

“Why?”

“We’re taking Peter’s suggestion to see the latest art exhibit at a museum that he recommended. A Buddhist traveling troupe is in town creating a gorgeous sand painting on the main floor. It’s only fair that one of the last things you see without the damned goggles is something beautiful and unique.”

“Maybe just a brief look. I kinda had something else in mind, preferably in high heels and a g-string,” he winked, chuckling at Hank’s dumbfounded expression. “Remember what I said about intimidating people, Hank? That includes ‘beautiful and unique’ visions spinning down poles at this bar that Logan once recommended. Might not have to tip so heavily if they quit mistaking me for some anonymous pervert in kooky glasses.” He wiggled his eyebrows wickedly for emphasis, making Hank realize that he would miss that gleam in Scott’s eye.

“I’ll just dust off my image inducer; the exhibit closes at eight!” Hank clapped Scott on the shoulder as they made their way into the elevator.

The kitchen was already noisy and heavily occupied as Kitty tiptoed through squirming students, lifting the plates up to her chest to avoid dropping them as she had near misses bumping into everyone. Peter resumed his customary perch by the stove, lading up chicken noodle soup and pulling loaves of fresh garlic bread from the oven. Scott took in the scuffle with a wistful look.

“I’m gonna miss this.”

“You won’t miss anything.”

“It was really neat being able to see everyone the way they look now, Hank. Eye colors, hair colors, skin tones, all the little gradients and hues that don’t mean much when everything is just different shades of red.” He spoke in a hushed murmur, as though everything were unfolding before him in slow motion, and Hank was a fellow spectator to what he was seeing. “It’s just…a luxury, seeing everything through new eyes. I hate to give it up.” Jimmy strolled by and smiled widely at him, his crystal blue eyes full of satisfaction when he noticed that his new favorite teacher came to join them for the afternoon meal. Scott briefly waved hello, noticing that the faint twinge of a headache that he felt coming on again vanished as quickly as it came as Jimmy nudged past him to get some juice. Hope briefly flared in his chest…only to be dashed just as quickly.

What was he going to do, walk around with Jimmy tied to him all day like they were in a three-legged race? He stifled a laugh as he pictured Marie taking the same tack, for similar reasons. Yup. The goggles, as Hank explained, were the only feasible solution to the problem.


New York City, Stryker Building, former headquarters of the Evangelical Stryker Crusade:

“Let’s go over this again. You’ve made excellent progress, my dear. I just want to make sure you’re ready.” Stryker sat back in his tilting swivel chair and stared across his desk at his brooding charge.

“My name is Jean. Jean Grey.”

“Doctor Jean Grey,” he corrected her. “What specialty?”

“Genetics and physiology.” He nodded briefly in accord.

“Where do you live?”

“Here,” she replied dispassionately.

“This is your temporary home; tell me where you really live, Doctor Grey.”

“At a school.” Her bottle green eyes burned with something akin to rebellion as she continued to parcel out fragments of the answers he demanded.

“A school for what?”

“Gifted youngsters. That’s what it’s called in the morning paper,” she clarified. Stryker’s nostrils flared in annoyance, and he saw the faint hint of a smile quirk in the corner of her mouth. The Delilah was toying with him. The smile never reached full fruition; her eyes shuttered, small furrows appearing between her brows as she lifted her hand to massage her temple in discomfort. She met his gaze again, shooting him a surprised look. “Jason went there,” she murmured, so low that he almost didn’t hear her.

The effect on him was like being slapped across the chops.

Never, ever say that name to me, wicked woman! I won’t tolerate it, do you understand me?” His face was twisted and savage as he leapt up from his seat, nearly tipping it over as it was relieved of his weight, and Jean could see the whites of his eyes and a faint fleck of spittle spray from his lips with the sanction. BANG! “Do you hear me?!” Jean felt as well as heard the hollow-sounding echo of his fist banging against the old desk, hammering the point home.

“Yes,” she muttered. His breathing pattern momentarily settled itself, and he leaned forward on the heels of his hands, staring intently at her. There was caution scribbled over her features, but not fear. He really needed to remedy that, and quickly.

The old headquarters had seen better days. The building was previously a towering hive of activity, but the dissolution of his crusade, once more widely celebrated and followed than Billy Graham’s, had led to a large portion of the building’s top floors being sealed off or leased to other business tenants. His former chauffeur, a devout follower, eagerly provided him with security codes and a pass key into his old office and a means of coming in through the basement entrance. It wasn’t a multi-million dollar research and development complex with corporate funding, granted, but it would have to do. Stryker placed furtive, encrypted calls to Lord Darkwind’s legal contacts, and was appalled when his administrative assistant abruptly informed him that his previous attorney who drew up his will and executed it died a grisly death; his body was found disemboweled and hanging from the rafters of his cabin in the Rockies two days after Stryker and Jean made their escape from Oyama Heavy Industries via private jet. His gut twisted itself in knots when he terminated the call.

Yuriko was taking back her inheritance, with a vengeance.

Stryker turned his attention back to Jean, her face a study of confusion and resentment.

“Time for your next dose,” he pronounced with forced cheer, reaching into his blazer pocket for the tiny zippered case. He extracted the tincture and moved behind her, grasping her by the crown of her head and tipping it forward. She grunted with the slightly awkward position, with her chin pressed tightly against her chest as he moved her thick hair aside and dribbled the clear narcotic liquid into the porous flesh of her nape, applying it to the round scar to absorb into her vessels. She winced, both at the burning sensation and beneath the faint echo of his angry thoughts.

The most she could stand was to skim the surface, picking up occasional impressions and random feelings. If she delved any deeper, she was thrown into the melee and cacophony of too many voices, enveloping her…making her forget whose thoughts were hers…

It was absolutely maddening. If she gave an inch, they took miles and miles. So she shut the door. At least for the moment.

Stryker circled her chair, peering into her eyes, watching them adopt the slightly milky green hue that indicated the successful absorption of the drug.

“Let’s run through the basic things again, just as a precaution. Who gave you the ring?”

“Scott. A teacher.” She paused, licking her dry lips as she stared off vacantly, focusing on the grimy office window behind him. “An X-Man.”

“A mutant,” he added.

“Yes.” It hurt to think too hard; it was so much easier to agree. Her hand crept up to twist a lock of hair around and around her finger, just to have something to do.

“And therefore, a sinner. A sinner who must die.”

A heartbeat-long pause followed, before her ripe, tourmaline pink lips murmured “Yes” once more. Visions of a chiseled, saturnine face came to her, making her shiver. A sinner.

The quizzing continued for the next half-hour until Jean rattled off the answers he expected with remarkable precision. He dug in his blazer pocket for the tiny slimline phone and snapped it open, barking into it that they were ready now for the next phase. Jean’s face was faintly bewildered as two men clad in white labcoats smiled blandly and took her by the elbows, leading her out of Stryker’s dismal office suite. Stryker turned away to stare out at the cityscape, shivering for a moment within the warm space when he felt a faintest brush of her thoughts reaching out to his.

Why are you doing this to me?

He shook it off.


Westchester County, back at the School for Gifted Youngsters:

“That all ya got, Tin Man?” Logan drawled, assessing Peter’s neat bank shot that sent the red striped seven ball into the left side pocket. Peter smirked easily at him as he ground the tip of his pool cue into the blue block of chalk, pursing his lips to blow off the excess.

“Still my turn. Don’t write me off yet.” He lined up his next shot, mentally crossing his fingers, but his good gris-gris wore off, no matter how hard he wished on the shot. The green striped ball bounced off the corner bracket of the table. Logan grinned.

“Looks like yer buyin’ the beer tonight at Harry’s, bub,” he chuckled, sinking his next three shots. He was just lining up the eight ball when two new scents in the doorway of the study tickled his nose. His hackles went up when he recognized one of them as Scott’s. He didn’t look up from his shot even when he heard his and Hank’s respective footsteps approach. Peter shot them an engaging smile.

“Here comes the cavalry,” Peter joked. “You two just saved me from losing my shirt in another pool game. Logan’s on fire tonight.”

Logan cocked an eyebrow at his opponent, who was already making good his escape, reaching for the brown leather bomber jacket he’d laid over the arm of the poker chair in the game room earlier. “Wuss,” he muttered under his breath.

“Don’t be a party pooper, Wolverine,” Hank suggested, running a clawed hand over his hair, smoothing the unruly indigo waves. “Join us. We’re planning to paint the town red.” Behind him, Scott ruffled and bristled uncomfortably, his lips tightening around the corners on the heels of Hank’s invitation. Scott and Logan had given each other a wide berth, and Bobby had joked that it wasn’t him making the air colder when those two occupied the same space.

“What’s goin’ on?” Logan inquired politely, chafing Hank slightly as he re-racked the balls and shuffled them along the surface of the slick green felt before neatly lifting off the triangle. He laid it on the rim of the table and lined up the cue ball, looking for all the world like a man who didn’t plan on budging from his perch for the rest of the night. Peter shrugged more deeply into his bomber jacket, clearly tense.

“Art exhibit. Sand paintings. A little highbrow entertainment,” Hank announced silkily.

“Eh.”

“Might partake of a little liquid refreshment.”

“Got a case of Molson in the fridge. Think I’m good.” He wasn’t in the mood to act flattered that “the cool kids” invited him to their kegger while their parents were out of town, thank you very much. His friendships with the veteran members of Charley’s fledgling class were still tentative and a work in progress at best. He didn’t give his trust easily or quickly.

The only one of ‘em who’d given him reason to open up at him at all was still pissed off and sulking outside, planting the last of her fall bulbs and plotting his death. He stifled a sigh, wishing she’d stuck around the steam room long enough to see if her tiny bikini looked equally sexy lying in a heap on the floor.

“Want us to bring back any souvenirs? We were headed to that trendy little bar in the city opening up down the block from Harry’s,” Peter grinned.

“What, that little yuppie juice bar and champagne lounge?” Just thought of it made his sac shrivel between his legs.

“Nope. Down on the other block. Skintights,” Hank chirped, his expression cajoling Logan that yes, he did too know the place, so quit shamming. A light went on in Logan’s hazel eyes for a moment, before he recovered himself. His glance skittered over Scott for a millisecond. Scott was studiously ignoring him, but he could tell by the set of his shoulders and the way he hovered on the periphery of the room that he was interested in his answer.

“That’s a tittie bar,” he muttered, meeting Hank’s amused gaze.

“Fancy that. It is,” he replied innocently. “I prefer the term ‘gentlemen’s establishment,’ but sure, let’s go with that.” Hank reached into his pocket and rummaged until his hand emerged, brandishing a tiny, gleaming device with a flashing red light. He depressed the button, filling the gaming room with a low thrum.

“What the flamin’ hell “ HANK?!?!” Logan backed away from the pool table, throwing his hand over his eyes to protect them from the stark blast of white light that bathed Henry, picking out his fur in a blinding blue glow that gradually shimmered and shifted. The light swelled, then dimmed, changing to a rosy gold before it finally receded…

…revealing a, olive-skinned, saturnine-looking man with intelligent dark blue eyes and short black hair, adjusting his spectacles and smoothing his lapel before he placed the device back into his pocket. Scott and Peter stood gaping at the stranger in their midst, stunned to hear him chuckling with Henry’s voice.

“What do you think? Be honest,” Hank urged. “Too tall? Too chunky? Should I be going a little more ‘boy band singer’ or ‘Wall Street stock trader?’ Does this say ‘dashing’ or ‘desperate?’”

“What did you do to yourself?” Scott drew closer, circling him and staring at the change, taking in the mute details. Just to satisfy his curiosity, he reached out and stroked Henry’s cheek.

“Still furry,” Scott remarked, snatching his hand away.

“Of course. Still the same old lovable genetic physicist underneath these fancy trappings. This is a solid light inducer. That young Sage is as much as a prodigy with electronics and software as our Shadowcat; isn’t she something? She worked with me on the most recent upgrades to the Danger Room, and derived this from the same technology.”

“’Kay. So ya look like any other Tom, Dick or Scooter,” Logan reasoned out loud, feeling the diluted scowl that Scott shot him boring into his back, “but what happens when someone cozies up to ya and gets all touchy-feely?” Logan’s nose confirmed for him that Hank’s transformation was indeed only cosmetic; he could smell the distinctive, musky tang of his fur that was his “signature scent.”

“I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it,” he huffed, straightening his shirt cuff. “We still can’t persuade you to join us?”

“Naw. Go ahead. Yer already all gussied up an’ ready t’go. I ain’t in a social mood. Feel like punishing a few more pool balls before I turn in.” Hank and Peter waved their goodbyes to Logan’s back. Logan counted their retreating footsteps and realized that there were only two sets.

“What’re ya waitin’ for, Summers?” Logan lined up his next shot, studiously ignoring Scott as he leaned his backside against the billiard table’s bumper. “Party train’s pulling outta the station without ya.”

“I’ll catch the next one.” He leveled a searching look at his one-time teammate, crossing his arms across his chest in a protective gesture before he could stop himself. “Hank told me what you did at Alcatraz.” Logan’s hands paused a moment before he drew back his cue, treating Scott once again to his patented quirked brow. “I know how Jean died.”

Logan straightened up and stepped back from the table, drilling the cue’s handle into the marble floor as he leaned on it like a walking staff. He briefly weighed the possible ways of dealing with this new revelation, after he’d been avoiding it the past few weeks:
A) He could play dumb. Distract him with some beer. Nope. Coward’s way out.
B) He could nudge him out the door to follow Hank and Peter.
C) He could just take it on the chin. Least he could do…wasn’t it?
D) He could get good and defensive and make an ass out of himself.

“Whaddya want me ta say, Scooter?” His hackles were up and twitching as Scott’s tension leeched off of him and doused Logan full-strength; they stared each other down like two alpha males competing for dominance of the pack. “I’m sorry. I know it ain’t enough, bub. That don’t even begin ta make it right…it ain’t like I can make it up to ya.”

“No shit. Taking a life isn’t just something you ‘make up for,’ Wolverine.”

“I know that. And I can’t take it back.” Heaven only knew, he’d taken a few. He was slightly surprised when he felt a small tug on the back of his pool cue, stilling it as he levered it back for his next shot. Scott retrieved another stick from the rack hanging against the wall and chalked it carefully.

“I want stripes.”

“Suit yerself.” Logan grunted under his breath; Scott hadn’t phrased it as a request. That was new. Scott sized up the possibilities before making a sweet little trick shot, sinking the nine and thirteen balls neatly and with little effort. “Not bad.”

“Easier when I used a low-powered blast to line up the cue ball. Doesn’t mean I forgot my basic geometry. Not like we live in a school, or anything,” he reminded him, twisting Magneto’s taunt to his own purposes.

“Eh.” Logan watched Scott make his next shot, then scratch by nicking Logan’s four ball, nudging it into the right side pocket.

“They can’t all be winners,” he mused.

“Where’s the fun in that?” Logan took another pull from his beer, savoring the cool bite of hops. Four bottles through the case found him enjoying this one as much as the first.

“What did she say, Logan?” He’d been about to take another sip of Molson when Scott’s low voice, tinged with a hint of bitterness, made the bottle hang halfway to his mouth. “When she…what did she say to you?” He winced at Scott’s inability to say the words. When she died. When you killed her.

“Scooter…” Despite the drinks he’d already finished, his mouth went dry. He tried to school his expression but failed miserably.

“Quit calling me Scooter, damn it!” BANG! The bridge bruised the lip of the table bumpers as Scott slammed it down. “A little fucking respect. From day one, you blew in here, snarling at everyone, treating me like some amateur, like I was your chump? Huh?” He jerked the butt of the cue up into the air, lining up a shot where logan scratched and froze. CLAACCK! The clatter of enamel surfaces smacking together underscored his words. “You figured that a guy like me who follows the rules instead of playing the bad ass won’t take exception to you chasing my fiancée? Was it fun?” He white-knuckled his grip on the cue, and Logan couldn’t turn away from his eyes, which were dilated and rife with pain. “What did she say?” he repeated.

“She asked me if I’d die for them. She wasn’t the same Jeannie, bub. Ya don’t know the half of it. She was gonna take out Alcatraz just as an opener. The whole world was next. Ya weren’t there, Summers,” he reminded him, swallowing around a lump.

“Guess I was indisposed,” Scott snapped.

“Then I guess I gotta make ya understand, then. I was there, and what I saw “ shit, what I did “ is gonna haunt my sleep for the rest of my life, and it ain’t like I slept all that soundly ta begin with. Ya don’t wanna get inside my head. But during those last moments, Jeannie sure as hell did, and I hate what she had ta see. Ya wanna know what she said? She begged me ta save her. Not just at Alcatraz. When we brought her back here.” He nodded to the beer. “Ya might wanna sit down and have one of those,” he suggested, “cuz ya’ll need it.” Scott reached for one of the proffered beers and slapped the cap off of it using the table rim. He didn’t sit down, instead taking a gulp, keeping his eyes on Logan’s the whole time.

“Go on,” he demanded quietly.

“We brought her back here. Blue mighta already filled ya in. We found her the worse for wear at Alkali, unconscious and looking like death warmed over. Summers, all we found were yer friggin’ goggles. Do ya know what went through our heads? We came out there ta find ya, Summers. I won’t lie; when I think of Alkali, I’ll always remember that moment right before she threw us clear of the dam. I’ll always hear her voice in my head, tellin’ us all goodbye. But when we found her, and when I found nothing but yer glasses on the shore, I knew something wasn’t kosher, and ‘Ro knew it, too. She zipped her lip the whole ride home. The Professor couldn’t find yer thoughts; in light of the fact that there was no other physical sign of what happened to ya, what else could we do? And Summers, I’m gonna fess up. Jeannie and I talked, when she woke up in the infirmary. The Professor warned me about her. He’d already dug around in her head and found that other personality…”

“The Phoenix,” Scott muttered. Logan’s brows knitted themselves together in surprise.

“Hank?”

“No. I just know. The Phoenix was the last thing I saw before I…you know.” He waved his hand in a futile gesture, unable to explain it, and unwilling to try. “I felt her in my head. That’s what she called herself, in my thoughts.”

“I talked to her. The Professor warned me ta keep my distance and just to let him work on restoring mental blocks.” He couldn’t keep the anger out of his voice, and his body was rigid with the effort to stay calm. “I was pissed about that. I know a little something about mental blocks, and they ain’t pretty. It ain’t fun having someone tryin’ ta control yer mind, Summers.”

“I know,” he admitted. “Stryker, remember?”

“Yeah. I guess ya do, then. Summers, when I asked Jeannie about ya, and I tried ta get her ta tell me what she did to ya, she freaked. Petey fixed the big dent in the wall downstairs, so ya didn’t get ta see how big it was after she threw me into it. Red was pretty strong.”

“What did she say in the end? What were her last words?” He blew off Logan’s attempt at lightening the moment.

“She just looked me in the eye and smiled. She said ‘That’s better.’ She died right there in my lap, with this smile that I can’t get outta my head. It hurts, Summers. Back when ya left, ya didn’t want me ta tell ya that I knew how ya felt, losin’ Jeannie.” Scott stared into his beer bottle a moment before closing his eyes against the truth in his statement. He did remember his parting shot the day he sped off on the bike. “But I did know how it felt back then, and I know it now. An’ I ain’t healed from it. Don’t know if I ever will. Ya think I liked watchin’ her die again, knowin’ it was the only way ta stop her from killin’ us all, and knowin’ I had ta kill her, when I loved her?”

“You didn’t love her like I did, don’t even try to give me that bullshit!” Scott hissed.

“Think whatever helps ya ta sleep at night, Summers. I loved her. I ain’t gonna lie. But yeah, she loved you. She told me she loved ya back when we headed to Alkali, and she couldn’t face the fact that she’d killed ya when I called her on it. She didn’t just want me ta save her. She wanted ta join ya.”

Scott’s beer bottle hit the hardwood floor with a hollow thunk, falling from nerveless fingers. “Shit!” Logan cursed, frantically looking for something to mop up the foaming spill. He jerked his flannel over his head without unbuttoning it, leaving himself in a white wifebeater as he rounded the table and began to sop up the liquid. He didn’t want to be on the other end of a blistering from Hank or Pete if they saw the ruined floor, on top of all the other repairs they’d finished on the complex after Stryker tore his way in. Scott scrubbed his face with his palms. “Summers?” Logan looked up from his task. “She wanted to be with you. Even at the end, she was smiling, because was going to be with you. I might have kept her from doin’ something that she couldn’t live with, but she was so damned glad that she was gonna see ya again. Wherever ya were.”

“God,” he breathed, raking his fingers through his hair until it was as unruly as Logan’s.

“Ya ain’t got the monopoly of lovin’ Jeannie, Summers. You were just the one she loved best.” Logan chucked the empty bottle into the trash can next to the foosball table and retrieved another full one for Scott. “Here,” he offered gruffly. “I know all ya wanted were last words, Summers, but in the moment, she didn’t hold anything back. Thoughts, feelings, words…it was all about you.”

“I should have been there. When she died.” He took a comforting pull from his Molson. “But I’m glad she wasn’t alone.” He nodded to Logan, his anger replaced by a bleakness that didn’t feel any better to witness, but they could work on that. “And I’m damned glad she didn’t take all of you with her.”

“Me, too. Go ahead an’ hang that up,” Logan barked, motioning to Scott’s cue. “Let me grab my coat.”

“You said you weren’t in a social mood.”

“Didn’t stop ya from interruptin’ my game. But if ya wanna argue with me, then fine; don’t expect me ta chip in fer a lap dance. And as uptight as ya are, Summers, ya damned well need one.”

“Prick,” Scott huffed, but his mouth twisted into something resembling a smile. Logan held out his hands in a gesture of concession. Logan snagged his weather beaten leather jacket and met Scott downstairs just in time for him to finish off his beer.

“Sticks an’ stones, bub.”


The sky had just darkened to a deep sapphire when they left the house; the sun was just coming up, chasing away the last of the stars when they got back. Logan parked the Jeep and locked up the garage as Hank, Scott and Peter waved their bleary “good mornings” and staggered into the mansion. Logan took the long way around, lingering outside long enough to enjoy a smoke. There almost wasn’t any point to going back to bed; he’d only have to get up again in three hours, anyway. There was nothing worse than that first hefty slug of sleep when your body hit the sheets, only to have to jerk yourself awake again before you had a good taste.

The morning was chilly; his breath billowed out from his lips in frigid little white puffs as he stomped back inside. On his way back, he took a quick peek at Ororo’s flower beds. The last of the season’s red begonias were still vibrant and bold, much like their mistress, and they caught his attention while he was looking at the freshly turned earth where Ororo had planted her new bulbs. He didn’t know where she found time to do it all. A funny little voice in his head muttered So why not ask her what ya could do ta make it a little easier fer a change? He mentally shuffled his schedule and realized that he could relieve her of another self-defense training class to cut her a little slack. He’d heartily approved when she hired on that new Cassidy guy, and he seemed decent, even though he’d just about blown his eardrums when he demonstrated his power in the Danger Room on his first day. With his enhanced hearing, that shit didn’t tickle. But then Ororo went and gave him a piddly two classes to teach, still leaving herself overburdened. He intended to speak with her about that.

He found the opportunity earlier than he expected.

The scent of freshly brewed coffee greeted him as soon as he entered the kitchen through the back door. He turned to reach for the pot on the counter, but stopped when he saw Ororo silhouetted in the window over the sink, her hair and body outlined in the rosy glow of the sunrise.

Damn. She was one helluva beautiful woman. Her hair was still loose and slightly tousled, with random curls and waves falling every which way. She’d just finished selecting a coffee mug from the dishrack when she turned to face him, pausing in her actions as though she felt herself being watched. Those velvety brown eyes measured him carefully, crinkling at the corners when she smiled.

“Long night?”

“Mornin’,” he grumbled, still not ready for coherent speech yet. She was clad in black satin pajama bottoms that were slightly loose, but still draped her curves lovingly, leaving pleasant things to his imagination. Her top, on the other hand, did no such thing; the snug ribbed cotton sheathed her torso, leaving no inch of her gorgeous figure a secret.

“Yes. It is,” she confirmed slyly. “Coffee?”

“Yeah. Sure.” He resisted the temptation to tell her not to budge from the glow of that sunny window so she wouldn’t wreck that perfect moment. Her creamy caramel skin and snowy white hair were meant to be bathed in the sunlight like that. Then he reminded himself that she was up ridiculously early, and she probably needed a cuppa joe. She poured for them both, serving his in a Chicago Cubs mug that Kitty brought home from her last trip home to Deerfield when she visited her mother.

“Hank, Scott and Peter were a sorry sight when they dragged in here a little while ago,” she remarked. “They all looked guilty.”

“Ya don’t wanna know,” Logan admitted, shooting her a little knowing look that made her grin back.

“Probably not. You didn’t get arrested?”

“Nope,” he grinned back. “Not this time.”

“Okay. Then we’re good.” They sat across from each other at the butcher block table, companionably sipping their coffee. A growing aroma of toasting bread crept into his nostrils as it filled the kitchen, and the familiar pop of the extra-wide, four-slice toaster woke up his stomach. Ororo laughed at him with little pity when she heard it growl.

“That’s pitiful. You gripe at my not taking care of myself, then drink your dinner and come traipsing in at dawn. Shame on you,” she chastised. She retrieved the cream cheese from the fridge, setting it in front of him while she set the still-hot bagel on a small plate, playing “hot potato” with it as she bounced it between her hands to keep from burning them.

“Scooter drank more than me,” he whined.

“Liar.” She spread the bagel thickly with cream cheese and slid it in front of him, stopping his offer to make his own with “Sit. Take that one. You shouldn’t even be conscious right now.”

“Thanks, darlin’,” he murmured. He took a hearty bite of crunchy bagel and chewed it thoughtfully as she began pulling together a more substantial breakfast. “So what’s yer deal? Why’re ya up so early?”

“Couldn’t sleep,” she shrugged. “Nothing new.” She tried to keep her tone light. He heard the underlying tightness, anyway.

“Penny for ‘em.”

“They aren’t worth that much,” she scoffed.

“Try me.” He took a sip of coffee, savoring the bite of Peet’s Viennese Blend as she pulled out a small loaf of honey ham and the carton of eggs. She sighed, letting the sound speak volumes. He sensed the change in her mood, from casual and drowsy to pensive and melancholy all at once, and he fought the urge not to pull her onto his lap to kiss it and make it better. Never in a million years, bub. She’d never go for it. He could already feel her freezing back up, resuming her throne as Her Highness, Queen Icy Britches.

“I’m just glad Scott’s back,” she replied. Now it was Logan’s turn to set down the bagel half that he’d just lifted to his mouth.

“That all yer glad for?” Her back was still turned as she cut slices of the rich ham and laid them into the hot skillet. The faint sizzle made his mouth water, but he ignored it. The unwanted vision of Ororo looking good enough to eat in her bikini, practically draped over One-Eye…Summers on the massage table entered his mind again and made him want to drag what else she was “glad for” out of her very, very slowly, with exquisite torture. Hell, he’d show her something to be glad for.

“I still miss them,” she explained, cracking three eggs into a bowl, then glancing back to him before she cracked two more. His gut clenched. “Sometimes I don’t know if I can do all this by myself. Teach, fight, run the school…and I don’t have Jean to lean on anymore. It’s not the same without them here. Scott being back has helped.”

“Yeah. Bet it has.” He went back to his bagel, but with only half an appetite. “He ain’t the only one ya can lean on, though, Ororo.”

“I’m not going to dump my troubles on your doorstep, Logan. That’s not your style, to be my sounding board and listen to me bitch and moan.” The vulgarities sounded foreign coming out of her mouth.

“Excuse me fer givin’ a damn. And thanks fer the vote of confidence,” he complained. She turned away from the skillet mid-scramble, the egg-smeared wooden spatula going still in her hand. Her face was serious as she stared at him.

“What?”

“Ya heard me just fine. I’m not Jeannie…an’ I ain’t Scooter, but I can’t handle a little bitchin’ and moanin’ when ya need a little help? Have a little faith in me, Ororo. D’ya think I don’t care?”

“I…I don’t know what to think.”

“I’ll tell ya what ta think, then. I do care.” A lot. “Yer still pushin’ yerself too hard. Even if ya don’t feel like talkin’ and keep blowin’ me off when I ask ya what’s wrong, I can still help with yer workload. What’s the deal with only givin’ Irish two classes?” She frowned slightly at his derogative nickname for Sean Cassidy before rolling her eyes and planting her hand on her hip.

“I only needed him to take those two. I’m not handing over all of them; there’s only so much you can delegate when you’re expected to run a school, Logan. Not that I expect you to know what that’s like. You come and go as you please.”

“I’ve been doin’ more stayin’ than goin’ lately, though, if ya haven’t noticed yet. Goes back to that snappy little lecture of yours, which ya seem to love givin’ me, yet ya hate it when I dish it out. Ya have a self-defense class ya don’t need on yer plate. I’m takin’ it from ya.”

“There’s no need,” she argued, but inwardly she breathed a much needed sigh of relief. Her load felt lighter for a change, even as she stuck to her guns.

“I ain’t gonna wait til there’s more of a need, when Hank’s confinin’ ya to yer bed again, this time for runnin’ yerself into the ground, darlin’. Just nod your head and say ‘Thank you, Logan.’ Go on, nod already!” She met this announcement with a cocked eyebrow.

“Fine,” she sighed with all of the put-upon exhaustion of someone who knows that she will be overruled anyway. “You may take my class.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Get a plate. I’m feeding you now.”

“Yes, ma’am.” He retrieved the orange juice from the refrigerator too, as well as the sugar-free jam and the bagel bag.

“How was he last night?” she inquired as they tucked into their breakfast. She studied Logan quietly and enjoyed what she saw. His eyes weren’t even red-rimmed or bagged from the night’s exploits. He’s shucked his jacket and slung it over the back of his chair, revealing his bare arms and smoothly muscled physique emphasized to perfection by the white ribbed tank. The morning sun shifted, picking out auburn highlights in his thick, dark hair and revealing tiny golden flecks in his hazel eyes. His skin was always close to the same burnished tone, just more darkly tanned in the summer. Dark hair peeked out over the neckline of his shirt and covered his forearms in a fine layer.

Once again, she kicked herself for staring too long. Their eyes met across the table, and every muscle that she hadn’t been previously aware of below her waist instantly woke up. She cleared her throat needlessly and sipped her juice.

“Fine, I guess. Havin’ a decent time. Semi-chatty. Not as bored at the museum as I was, at least.”

“Museum?” Her voice was incredulous.

“Yup. Hank’s idea. And no, I wouldn’t have if there wasn’t gonna be booze afterward.”

“Poor baby,” she mocked, not the least bit sympathetic.

“It was a funky sand art exhibit that Peter raved about. Scott seemed impressed with it, mumbling something about the colors bein’ almost worth the trip.”

“I’m not surprised. Henry told me that Scott’s going to go back to wearing his goggles.” She toyed with the remnant of her scrambled eggs, tweaking a bit of ham and popping it into her mouth.

“No kidding? Shit.” Logan picked his bagel apart, shredding crumbs from it idly as he listened. “What gives?” He found himself pitying Scott, even though he’d never admit it out loud, and Scott wouldn’t want him to.

“Scott came back to us, seemingly without his powers. Hank suspects that they may only be dormant. We have no way of telling if he can still fire his optic blasts, or if they could fire involuntarily. With Jean and the Professor gone, we have no means of using Cerebro to scan for Scott’s psionic signature to see if it registers as mutant or baseline.” Ororo and Hank had discussed the options and come up empty. They needed another psi, or they needed to adapt the console to read something else besides psionic energy and brain wave patterns. The Stepford triplets who had arrived at the school the previous fall were not ready; Jean had been a more powerful and skilled telepath, and using Cerebro had nearly overwhelmed her. Ororo wasn’t going to risk the well-being of novice students. She’d been just as upset on Scott’s behalf, knowing what a normal life meant to him after so many years of having to be so cautious and controlled. She knew something about control.

“So it’s back to square one,” he mused.

“If you like. There’s always a chance that Scott came back to us without the original defect in his powers that interfered with restraining them himself, but until we know more about his headaches, it’s best if he uses them again. Scott will be teaching full-time again for a while, until he decides what else he wants to do.”

“Cool. Whatever floats his boat.”

“Logan?”

“Yeah, darlin’?”

“Will you stay with us?”

“I told ya I would be there if ya needed me, and I meant it.” His eyes narrowed, burning into her and making her stomach do a funny little leap.

“Only if that’s what you really want.” She got up to clear their plates. “I know that with Jean gone, you might not have as much reason to stay.” She hated the way it sounded as soon as it came out of her mouth. Cheap shot, Ororo. Rub it in, why don’t you.

“Bullshit.” She felt him approach and shivered when strong, warm fingers clamped around her upper arms, pulling her away from the edge of the sink. She was hauled against his chest, and his heat seeped into her back. His breath stirred her hair as he growled in her ear. “Quit assumin’ I don’t have a reason. The biggest reason on that list just made me breakfast without naggin’ me ta death about where I was all night long.” He freed one arm long enough to reach up and sweep her hair off the side of her neck, breathing in the sweet scent of her skin, still tinged with sleep. “And she feels just right too, darlin’, when she lets me get this close.” Her knees nearly buckled at the nibbling of his lips along her throat; she arched back into his embrace even as she gripped the counter. Dampness pooled in her center, and she restrained a moan. “She doesn’t do that often, though. She’s a stubborn broad that way.”

“Scoundrel,” he accused. She fought against the desire building within her and was ready to wave the white flag when he caught her lobe gently between his teeth.

“I have plenty of reason ta stay. The school and the kids are growin’ on me. I cared about Jeannie, but she made it plain that she loved Summers. Kinda makes a guy rethink what’s important. I miss her. She was an amazing woman,” he admitted before sucking the silky flesh of her neck into his mouth and swirling his tongue over it. The heady rush of her scent came to him more strongly this time, infused with arousal and need. Coupled with her taste and the tiny ragged sounds escaping her when he wrapped his arms around her waist, splaying his palm over her flat belly, Ororo had a bigger hold on him than he could even explain. He could think of better things to do with his mouth than try to explain anything right now, though. She just tasted too damned good.

“The best. She was the best friend a girl could have.”

“Uh-uh. You were. You knew she couldn’t handle all that power going in. You reminded me of what I had to do, even when I didn’t wanna see reason. Ya saved all of our hides, even when ya knew we had ta let her go. That makes you pretty amazing yerself.” He clamped the thin strap of her top between his teeth and yanked it down the slope of her shoulder for better access, making her squirm as his tongue laved it in greedy circles. “So are ya part of Scooter’s harem?”

“Excuse me?” She craned her neck to better face his hooded gaze. His lips feathered her cheekbone and temple.

“You’ve been asking me an awful lot about Scooter. Spending a lot of time with the guy. That my cue ta back off?”

“Back off from what? This is…unexpected.”

“No it ain’t,” he insisted. “Ya know I want ya. Real bad.” He punctuated the statement with another leisurely nibble. “And I know ya want me.”

“I’m not involved with Scott. He’s my friend. An old friend. Nothing more.” He was pleased when she didn’t dispute his claim.

“Didn’t look that way the other day.” It sure didn’t.”

“You can’t trust everything you see,” she hissed, writhing under his touch as his fingers skimmed the underside of her plump breast. “We don’t feel that way about each other. We’re too much alike.” He paused in nipping a sultry trail down her jaw to consider what she said.

“Don’t see how.”

“Trust me. We are. And kissing Scott is like kissing my brother.”

“Too much information, darlin’,” he grumbled.

“Sorry,” she chuckled, before he turned her in his arms and kissed her smile, feeling her lips soften against his, matching his hunger. She twined her arms around his neck, indulging in the sensual feel of his luxuriantly wild hair as she combed her fingers through it. “Mmmmm…” He kissed her breathless, and she toppled back against the edge of the counter, nearly taking him with her.

“And no more damned back rubs!” he snarled. Not for Scooter, anyway, he amended to himself. She didn’t protest one way or the other. Her hands roamed his muscles and stroked him with intimate knowledge and promise, and her vantage point changed as he grasped her waist and hoisted her up onto the counter.

“Logan!” she gasped. His look was so full of heat and yearning, and she nearly melted in a puddle when she realized that it was for her. All for her. He stepped between her thighs, wanting to get closer, and Ororo framed his face with her palms and drank from his mouth. Her tongue stroked his with wild abandon, and she felt the sunbeams brightening and warming her back. Her internal voice of reason prodded her that they could get caught by Henry, or Peter, or any early-rising students. She silenced it when Logan’s fingers crept under the hem of her tank and caressed her. His touch was ticklish and light at first, before he flattened his palm and skimmed it along her ribcage, acquainting himself with her contours and the charming little dip of her navel. She nearly came out of her skin when he found her breast. He cupped it reverently, exploring its silky weight before letting his thumb graze her nipple. It puckered at his touch, thrilling him

“Someone could come down here any moment,” she whimpered around his lips.

“Well, damn it, I’d better move things along,” he countered. His voice was ragged with the effort to stay in control. She just had that effect on him, and that was dangerous. He was addicted to “dangerous.” Lord help him. The kitchen was warm from their cooking, but the air still felt cool when it bathed her bared breast, right before Logan worshipped it, lapping it in a decadent spiral until he reached its taut peak. He groaned into her flesh.

“Goddess!”

“Don’t know who yer prayin’ to, darlin’ but say one fer me while you’re at it.” She felt the pulling and tugging of his mouth all the way into her womb, and her legs betrayed her, wrapping themselves wantonly around his waist. He pressed himself into her, and the tell-tale bulge in his jeans grew and hardened, craving a nest in her softness.

Footsteps.

“ACK!”

“SHIT!” Ororo winced as he pulled his mouth off her nipple “ she imagined she almost heard it “ in their mad rush to separate, and he backed away, letting her scramble down from the counter. Thankfully she wasn’t wearing shoes, so he was hurting more from interrupted passion than real pain when she landed on his foot on the way down. “Ooooh! Watch out…” He did a mincing foot shake before he helped her to straighten herself out. She looked at him with wide eyes, guilt written all over her features, but he couldn’t help but feel a little pleased at her swollen lips as she tried to smooth her hair. She managed to yank it up into an halfhearted ponytail with one of those elastic scrunchie things women were always wearing around their wrists like a bracelet, binding it up in an attempt at neatness. Logan pouted; he loved looking at her when she was a mess. She straightened her strap and resumed her earlier place by the coffee pot as she heard Sam and Bobby’s voices coming down the hall.

“Ororo?” She shot him a look that practically screamed ‘I’m trying to be nonchalant, here!’ and raised her brows.

“What?” she hissed.

“Barn door’s open,” he muttered. Her bewildered look almost made him bust a gut, until she looked down and saw her bare breast, nipple still erect, hanging up the hem of her shirt and leaving her with a distinct draft. Her hands flew up to right herself, but not before Logan’s hands abruptly spun her around so she faced the counter, and he shielded her so that they were back to back as he called out “Popsicle. Flyboy. Up early, arentcha?”

Ororo yanked her top back into place, probably pulling the hem more firmly than she needed to. Her cheeks were on fire. Her nipples were still standing up at attention. And she was soooooooooooo not wanting to turn around and face anyone in this condition.

“Wanted ta nab some time ta shoot some hoops in the gym before anyone else grabbed it,” Sam drawled. “Aw, howdy, Miz Munroe, Ah didn’t see ya standin’ there, so quiet an’ all.” Logan moved aside as he felt Ororo gently nudge him and wave a friendly greeting over his shoulder.

“Have some juice. And bagels. We’ve got bagels.” She cleared her throat, still trying to figure out how best to ease back upstairs. Logan took the decision out of her hands.

“I’m gonna head downstairs to the Danger Room,” Logan grumbled, raising his mask gruffness to full mast for the boys’ benefit. “Hey, Ororo, if yer on yer on yer way upstairs, why don’tcha take this up with ya?” He chucked his jacket at her once he stepped away long enough to retrieve it. She caught it deftly, along with the glance he shot her, full of mischief. He’d noticed it, too, blast him! She was of a mind to take him to task for his macho little show, but she played along. For now. She hugged his folded leather jacket against her chest, abrading her aroused flesh even more, and she inhaled the scent of him that rose up from it. At least now she had a “shield” of sorts. More or less.

“My pleasure,” she told him breezily. “I’ll see you two in class.”

“Bye, ma’am.” Sam poured himself some juice and took a long swig, then wiped his mouth on the back of his hand. “Sure was in a hurry.” Bobby had noticed that her cheeks were red as a raspberry, but hey, if Sam was oblivious, far be it from him to set him straight. The fleeting thought of “Logan and ORORO?” crossed his mind before he happily shook it off.

An hour and a half later, the upper level of dorm rooms were buzzing with activity, and Ororo stopped by to remind Jubilee that not everyone shared her taste in music, and could she please turn the stereo down a notch. She made her way downstairs, attired comfortably in black slacks and a lightweight white silk sweater. Logan and Peter were already on their way downstairs to get ready for the self-defense glass, leaving Scott in the foyer, preparing to head out to the hangar to work on the Blackbird’s GPS tracking system again. Hank was esconced in the wing-backed chair in the front study, reading the finance pages and occasionally humming with approval over the stocks.

A hesitant knock sounded at the front door. Ororo almost didn’t hear it. Must be a stranger, she considered. They weren’t expecting any guests.

“I’ll get it,” Hank exclaimed. “It’s early for guests,” he mused, echoing Ororo’s thoughts. He disengaged the locking system and never looked at the security camera’s monitor above the doorframe, so he received a rude shock when he swung open the reinforced plank.

“Oh, my stars and garters!” He hadn’t raised his voice, but Ororo caught the emotion and disbelief as she approached him.

“Henry, who’s…here? Oh. Oh, my Goddess!” Ororo’s hand flew up to cover her mouth, and she clutched Hank’s shoulder for balance. The floor felt like it was spinning beneath her.

“Well, don’t you two just stand there and let out all the heat, let whoever it is in,” Scott jibed as he rounded the corner to tug Ororo aside for a look at their visitor. Hank spun around, meeting his gaze numbly, mouth agape.

“Good Lord, Scott!” Hank, for once, was at a loss for words. Scott’s eyes told him nothing. His smile was crooked but good-natured, until Hank moved away to stand beside Ororo, revealing the woman standing out on the front veranda.

Jean Grey stood outside, clutching her hands and trying not to show how terrified she was to be greeted at the door by a six-foot tall lion of a man covered in blue fur. The morning light set her hair on fire. “H-hello,” she stammered. Her eyes flitted to the handsome brunet man with the odd-looking red-lensed spectacles. Various strong emotions played across his face, and it unnerved her momentarily that she couldn’t see his eyes.

She knew they must be beautiful.

“Jean?” he choked out at last, urging himself forward with leaden feet. He was afraid this was a dream. If I reach out and touch her, I’ll wake up. She’ll go away again. His soul roared in protest at the prospect of losing her again.

“I know you. I know you,” she insisted. She peered down at her hands, and Scott caught the gleam of gold winking up from her left ring finger. She eyed it nervously, twisting it before she peered up at him. “I know you,” she repeated. “I…I think I love you.” She was alarmed but not afraid when he nodded, his face crumpling and twisting into a mask of anguish. She hated to see him in pain. His shoulders jerked involuntarily as he sniffed back a cry.

“Jean?” he pleaded with her. “You’re here?”

“Yes,” she breathed.

“Oh, God! JEAN!” Scott’s strength left him, and he simply fell to his knees after staggering that last step that separated them. His arms snared her, wrapping around her waist and clinging fiercely to her. Her body absorbed the pain and wracking sobs that tore loose from his lips. Fat tears rolled freely down her cheeks, and she met Ororo and Hank’s shell-shocked stares with a nod.

“I’m here,” she assured them. “I’m back.”

That was the scene that greeted Logan when he came back upstairs to ask Ororo about the new Danger Room routine that Hank said was ready for the senior class to use. His heart nearly stopped as he sidestepped Hank, peering at Ororo for an explanation before he stepped out onto the veranda. Scott’s whole body shook as he poured out waves of soul-deep relief that his reason for living walked back into his life, wrapped in his arms that craved her presence and warmth.

“Jeannie,” Logan rasped.

“I’m back, she repeated, smiling weakly at him through her tears before murmuring soothing sounds into Scott’s hair.
That Old, Lived-In Feeling… by OriginalCeenote
Logan could have sworn he felt Ororo’s eyes boring into his back as he rushed away. The last thing he saw before taking his leave was Jean’s green eyes roaming over him slowly, nervous and curious, with none of the affection and profound respect that lived in them the night he ended her life.

His senses reeled, screaming at his mind and heart that yes, this was Jeannie. No one else looked like that. Smelled like that. Stood like that or made a beeline to Scooter as though not so much as a moment had passed since she left.

Common sense told him that she died in his lap, by his hand. They were stained with her blood. His fervent dream that she’d walk back in through their front door as sweetly as you please wasn’t supposed to come true literally. He didn’t trust what he saw enough to believe that she had. He brooded over it on his say to the Danger Room. He’d almost barreled right over Peter in his mad rush.

“What’s the hurry, tovarisch?” Peter grunted slightly as Logan clipped him in the shoulder on his way around the corner, taking it too fast for caution. He caught his arm and stopped him, his blue eyes registering surprise at the look of intensity and shock on Logan’s face.

“Go,” Logan rasped. “Look for yerself, Petey. I gotta go.” He flicked his head back in the direction of where he came from, unable to put what he saw into words. “Get ready ta be shocked.” He stomped off, ignoring Peter’s low curse and remarks about him making a hasty retreat. He winced as his acute hearing picked up his gasping, sobbing reaction that had mirrored Ororo’s as he fled downstairs.

What the heck was gonna happen next? Was Charley gonna show up on their doorstep next, doin’ a little tap dance like Fred Astaire?

Logan cursed to himself in the locker room as he donned his uniform. He mentally kicked his own ass for not staying around to find out more. To prove that she was tangible. Close enough to reach out and touch. Jeannie. His Jeannie.

Wait…wait.

It was plain as the nose on his face that she wasn’t his, even now. The tender look she gave Scooter as he hung onto her for dear life was his first clue. You marry the good guy, she’d told him. And Scooter was it. Where did that leave him? Wasn’t he trying to be the good guy, for a change? Last time he’d checked, he’d changed. He traded in taking out the latest mark to teaching ‘tweens pre-algebra and American history.

That begged the question that had him stumped ever since his little “clinch” in the kitchen after breakfast: Where did that leave him and Ororo? Did she consider him “the good guy?” Did he want her to? Could he begin to be good enough?

These things hadn’t plagued him a few weeks ago. The occasional nightmare haunted his sleep, broken up by the occasional wet dream involving Jeannie, wearing a smile and precious little else. He taught a class or two. Broke stuff in the Danger Room. Fixed stuff around the house. Drank beer. Smoked the occasional stogie. Nowhere in that daily routine did he worry about living up to a haughty schoolmarm’s sky-high expectations.

Problem was, now that he was worried about it, he didn’t have a friggin’ clue of what to do about it.

Upstairs in her office, Ororo stewed.

She barely remembered walking there. Once Scott drew back long enough to stand (with Hank’s help; he’d been trembling so violently), he and Jean lumbered into the house, his arm draped around her possessively, completely unwilling to release her. The children had already made their way into their classrooms, which gave the senior members and teachers a brief snatch of time to absorb what happened and drink their fill of Jean’s presence.

“Scott?” Ororo asked on a stuttering breath.

“Yeah, kiddo?”

“Can I hug Jean now?” Her luminous eyes swept over her friend, taking in the bemused but warm expression playing over her face.

“Yes. Yes, you can!” Jean nodded her assent before stepping out of Scott’s grip to engulf her in a hug that overpowered her emotions. It was really her best friend, her sister back in her arms again, whispering “I’m really back. I promise.”

“Jean,” Ororo sobbed. She closed her eyes against the tears, but Hank and Peter heard the faint rumble of thunder outside. Her normally proud posture slumped and leaned into Jean’s hesitant but welcoming warmth, and she felt Jean’s fingers caressing her hair, as if ensuring that she, too, was real.

“I belong here with you. I know it. We were friends,” she claimed.

“Yes,” Ororo murmured.

“Best friends.”

“Yes,” she agreed with alacrity, her voice almost desperate. Ororo’s breath became shallow and hitching all of the sudden, choking itself in her throat, and she felt Jean tense as she drew back.

“What’s wrong?” Her coppery brows furrowed with concerns. Ororo’s soft brown eyes dilated and widened in alarm as her fingertips turned icy cold. She gasped like a guppy that flipped itself out of the fishbowl, unable to speak.

“Easy does it, she’s just…a little overwhelmed. Right, Ororo? There’s my girl, come to Henry,” Hank cajoled, trying to hide his own panic at Ororo’s reaction to Jean, making a note to himself to corner Ororo and explore her feelings and how often she was having these episodes. He gently enveloped Ororo against his chest, and she collapsed against him limply, still holding Jean’s gaze; her breathing didn’t improve much, and no one liked the pallid loss of color around her lips and cheeks or the trembling that refused to stop until Hank urged her onto the Grecian upholstered fainting chaise in the corner. Hank’s bulk was comforting and steadying as he sat beside her and urged her to breathe into her palms. She mentally shook away the image of Logan kneeling before her with similar concern those few weeks ago, frustrated that he wasn’t here now.

She’d even appreciate one of his gruff, profanity-laced lectures right about now. But deep in her heart, she understood why he fled. She pitied him. And yet, she wanted to go outside and howl and rage at the sky.

Once Hank fetched Ororo a glass of water and she’d convinced him that she didn’t need a dose of Valium or other anti-anxiety remedy, she absconded to her office to begin the day’s obligations and lesson plans. Peter didn’t trust her to make it there without an escort; even though she looped her arm through his just to put his mind to rest, her wobbly knees betrayed her, and he practically shouldered her down the hall. She didn’t object when he brought her a steaming cup of chamomile, generously sweetened with honey a few minutes later.

“You should be upstairs, resting. Quit overdoing it,” he grumbled, grateful to see her posture resuming its customary stiffness in the sleek leather chair.

“Quit babying me,” she sniffed. “Jean’s the one you should be worried about,” she added.

“Oh, I am. It wouldn’t have been a picnic for any of you to scrape me up off the floor. I nearly died when I looked out that front door. If it wasn’t so early in the morning, I’d be knocking back a shot of Logan’s whiskey, even under threat of being filleted.”

“I’d give you an alibi if you shared it with me,” she admitted. She begged work as her excuse to shoo him out, and she spent the next two hours brooding over the scene in the foyer, rewinding it and replaying it in her thoughts.

He hadn’t stood there, falling at Jean’s feet, granted; but on the other hand, he hadn’t any room. Scott was in the way. Her confrontation with him in his uncharacteristically spotless room came back to her unchecked, chafing her to the core:

”That wasn’t Jean. The Jean I…know is still in there. I mean to reach her, to find a way to bring her home.”

“You truly believe that?”

“I have to.” As she looked back, even then it tugged at her to witness the depth of feeling that he had for her best friend, already a promised woman. It merely frustrated her then; she loathed it now.

“Why can’t you accept the truth?” she’d railed at him, hating that she sounded like a whining schoolgirl. They were both adults, and he wasn’t in the habit of explaining such things to anyone, even her. That didn’t mean she didn’t want him to try. She wanted to mean something to him. The possibility that she didn’t kept her awake at night.

“Not my truth, ‘Ro.” There it was, that little nickname that she tried so hard not to like. She enjoyed the sound of it too much when it came from his lips.

“Damn it, Logan, why can’t you let her go?”

“Because…Because…” His eyes burned bright and beautiful, full of something unnamed and intense that sparked soul-deep envy; she wanted him to feel whatever longing and need in his heart toward Jean for her. She felt herself slumping slightly before she caught herself.

“Because you love her.”
It was the death knell of any hopes that she had that she could mean something to him. The first time that he’d kissed her senseless in the autumn leaves at Alkali, he turned her tidy world onto its ear, leaving confusion in his wake.

Her own words echoed in her troubled mind. Because you love her. She bowed her face into her hands and tugged on her silver hair, wanting to rip those words and her growing feelings for him to shreds. Anything not to hurt like this. She’d give anything not to feel this confusion.

The headmistress was falling in love with the brooding, potty-mouthed self defense teacher.

“Oh, Goddess help me,” she muttered.


Elsewhere in the mansion:

Jean had a visceral reaction to the steel walls and chrome instruments and fixtures when they escorted her to the infirmary. She twitched and fidgeted during the ride in the elevator, and looked positively frantic as the scent of medicines and cleanser saturated her nostrils.

“I-I c-can’t stay here, please, H-hank, don’t make me stay here,” she pleaded. Hank could see the whites of her eyes and actually heard her quickened pulse.

“Jean, it’s all right. You’re safe and sound! I just want to examine-“

“NO!” Her voice rose sharply and paralyzed Hank, leaving him with his stethoscope clutched limply in his fist.

“Jean…please. It’s okay,” Scott insisted, trying to steer her toward the exam table, patting the downy white pillow at its head.

“NO, damn it, I WON’T! I won’t let you HURT ME! BACK OFF! Don’t you TOUCH ME!” Her voice cracked, becoming shrill as the muscles in her jaw strained and pulled her skin tightly, and her face bloomed with florid color. She paced the room like a caged animal, her eyes darting from Hank to Scott, and then back as she considered escape routes from the oppressively sterile suite.

“I’ve got to get some artwork to brighten this place up a bit,” Hank murmured. He was still recovering from Scott’s reaction upon his arrival, hating himself for having to sedate his oldest friend before he could receive adequate explanations or get his bearings.

“Jean…” Scott extended his hand, lightly stroking her upper arm. She backed off and bared her teeth at him in a savage grimace that rivaled Logan’s snarl, then swung her arm back and cold-cocked him, throwing him back and sending his goggles skittering across the floor.

“UNNNGGH!”

“Oh, my stars and garters! Jean, surely that wasn’t necessary…” Hank kept his eyes trained on Jean as he knelt to check on Scott, who was studiously clenching his eyes shut and rubbing his chin.

“Ow,” he groaned. “Jean…we get it. Hank can give you a check-up in our room, okay?”

“Oh, God! Scott…I’m so…”

“I know,” he soothed, pulling himself upright and scrambling blindly for his glasses before Hank roused himself from staring at Jean to retrieve them. “Thanks, buddy.”

“Any time. Jean, what’s the matter?” He spread his arm toward the gleaming cabinets and counters, and the spotless bed. “What does seeing this do to you?”

“It’s cold. And hard,” she began, trying to assemble her thoughts and put her feelings back on a leash. “This is a bad place,” she declared.

“We help people here.”

“I was a prisoner here,” she corrected him. A tiny clattering sound behind him startled Hank, and he turned to see his doctor’s bag shoot forward off the counter, landing on the floor with a thud.

That was the tip of the iceberg.

“Jean…? Relax, sweetheart, please,” Scott pleaded, but she still backed away from him when he came too close.

“You won’t hurt me,” she promised him through clenched teeth, her jaw working spasmodically.

“I would never hurt you,” Scott agreed. “Ever.” His mouth was tight. He clenched and unclenched his fists, the perfect picture of a man in love who would kill anyone who so much as harmed a hair on her head.

The previously silent suite was soon filled with rattling, clattering sounds of metal striking metal as the cupboards and cabinets started to jiggle, then open and slam rhythmically of their own accord. Jean’s long red hair began to float in an eerie halo around her piquantly beautiful face.

“I love you, Jean. Please, stop this! Calm down.” Her eyes softened for a moment, then she flicked her hand shut with a tiny flourish, bringing the noise to an awkward halt. Her face crumpled in sorrow, and she wouldn’t look at Scott as he rushed forward and enveloped her.

“I love you. I love you,” he whispered into her hair. “Never doubt that for a second. Let’s go upstairs,” he suggested again. She met his look with a rapid, wet nod, and Hank followed them out after re-packing his instruments into his fallen medical bag.

At least they knew her powers were intact, now. To what extent, he didn’t want to guess.

The rest of Jean’s exam went smoothly enough, once she’d had a chance to settle back into their suite. She trailed her fingertips over random, previously cherished objects, staring intently at photographs and trinkets. The suite had what she and Ororo had dubbed “that old lived-in smell” that a house had when you walked in through the front door after a short trip. It was still impeccably neat; Scott wasn’t a slouch when it came to housekeeping, and he was perhaps as fastidious as Ororo. Jean’s eyes narrowed as they rested on a small vase of white begonias. Hank felt the hairs on his neck rise as she raised her hand and slapped the vase off its perch, shattering it and drenching the floor with slimy water.

“Why did you do that?!”

“I…don’t know.” And she didn’t. The flowers were lovely, but there was something about them that felt…intrusive. Out of place. She couldn’t describe it, but it felt as though whomever left them was encroaching on her territory, even though she had only regained her place there mere hours ago. The fervent embrace that the beautiful white-haired woman had given her lingered; she still felt her touch, mingled with something else, as hot as a firebrand.

Wordlessly, Peter brought up the mop and dustpan and deposited them outside the bedroom door once Hank assured him everything was fine, and the rest of the examination continued without incident. He’d pressed for a CAT scan, which was met with rigid refusal. Scott’s face was pensive, his eyes unreadable once more behind his scarlet goggles. Hank’s eyes held enough tension for both of them.

Scott’s voice was shaky and unsure after Hank departed for his senior honors seminar.

“Jean…baby, where have you been? You were gone so long, and…and I wasn’t…here,” he finished. “I don’t know where you sent me, so I can’t tell you where I’ve been.” He leaned against the dresser, in the same spot Ororo had occupied not too long ago when Scott had been the one lying on the bed, trying to get his bearings. “All I know is, you weren’t there with me. I was all alone.” She read his fear that he couldn’t handle the dismal prospect of not being with her, even in the afterlife, such as his had been. The trauma was etched into his features. “Where were you?”

“Somewhere dark. Cold. It hurt.” She hugged herself tightly. “I don’t want to talk about it right now.” The creeping sensation of murky, viscous fluid caressing her flesh, and of floating in it, returned unbidden to her, making her shudder. She scrubbed the memory away.

“Soon?”

“Soon.” She opened her arms, and he caught the faint quiver of her lips when she grated out “Come here. I need you. So much.” He crossed the room and folded her into his arms, nearly crushing the breath from her lungs. His lips found their way into her hair, whispering reassurances that he never wanted to let her go. She accepted these little gifts, releasing tiny sighs and whimpers, begging him to continue.

“Jean,” he told her reverently, cupping her face as he kissed the orbits of her eyes, stirring her lashes with his warm breath. Slow, familiar hands plucked at her, undressing her and paying her homage by stroking every curve and hollow as he worshipped her with his mouth.

“Scott!” she moaned, sighing with contentment as she allowed him to welcome her home.

The tiny scar of burnt flesh on her nape itched and tingled slightly, but she ignored it.


Alkali Lake:

Yuriko riffled through the bloodstained cabinets, perusing the impeccably maintained manila folders and Stryker’s familiar, copperplate handwriting. Always the good little soldier, she mused, except that he was sloppy. He actually left her a paper trail.

The folder marked “Weapon X Project” caught her eye and occupied the next hour as she sat behind William’s old desk “ which should have been hers to begin with “ and perused its content. Her fingertips followed the ambling narrative and tidy script. Slowly, her fingers shifted and warped, flattening against the page, and tiny filaments of microcircuitry lit up, illuminating the network of her body’s mainframe. Her skin glowed with energy as she accessed the complex’s mainframe, communicating with it as she scanned the files, recording everything within her reach, literally, with just a touch.

Jason chose that moment to speak to her again, sensing the tentative happiness within her that was completely foreign to him. Having fun?

“I’m keeping myself entertained,” she said aloud, responding to the light mental contact with a gentle push. What bits and pieces of his thoughts and impressions that he’d shared with her were always chaotic at best, but for the first time in her life, Yuriko knew shared suffering and empathy for another human being. For all of William’s ranting and ravings of his son’s attack on his mother’s sanity, driving her to kill herself, he’d never shown his son “ his HEIR “ love even before his gifts manifested themselves. Always the taciturn military man, Stryker blamed his son’s shortcomings entirely on his mother; she was his punishment for sins that he’d committed in his youth, he always shouted. He waved his leather-bound Bible in her face, quoting scriptures of “a wife of good character” and likened her to a whore of Babylon. A Delilah. Or a Jezebel. More “spare the rod, spoil the child” quotes made their way into almost daily beatings when Jason didn’t excel.

To Yuriko’s twisted way of thinking, they were both orphans, after a fashion. Where her father kept her safely under his thumb, and used Stryker as the steward of both her education and punishments as a child, limiting her to useless pursuits, Jason’s father lashed out at his too-soft son, Devil’s spawn, by expelling him from his home. Xavier extended his hand in welcome to him, only to find that Jason didn’t want to control his powers; he wanted to control those who’d hurt him, who’d misunderstood and punished him.

He’d started with his mother, whose last thoughts were rife with her fear of him before she reached for the drill and turned it on. His father’s survival skills and his .38 were the only thing that stopped him from “punishing” him in kind; a brief call to his associate, Doctor Cornelius, put the wheels in motion to control his son, once and for all. A steady battery of narcotics and aggressive therapy tamed the gibbering, drooling wreck that he became after the lobotomy. He gave up on speech, since his was incoherent even on the best of days and with the least challenging of words.

Inside his mind, he screamed in outrage. Every minute of everyday.

Yuriko brought out his eloquent side after he’d reached out to her, shortly after her change. He’d stumbled over her seething thoughts amidst the constant babble of his father’s minions and technicians during his confinement; her psychic screams drowned his out. He never knew that was possible.

As Yuriko slowly healed from her immersion in the nutrient baths and adamantium feeds, writhing as the nannite probes infected her with the microbial filaments and rewrote her brain waves with codes and signals, she found a friend in Jason that she never expected. He calmed her at night, sending her beautiful visions of herself as a strong, independent and beautiful businesswoman admired by her peers. She was steadfastly loyal to him the night that he rewrote her memory of her father’s death, allowing her to plunge the gleaming katana blade into his belly and twist it through his vitals, instead of the laughably merciful death that he’d suffered from poisoned wine.

She rose and stretched, enjoying the movement. She wanted to meditate for a while, but it was such a lovely night. Jason deserved a little stroll before they retired for the night.

She strode through the hall, making a note to herself to bring the installation’s cleaning crew inside with the discreet instruction that there was a bonus for ensuring the utmost silence when they burned the files and swept the facility clean of any biological residue or signs of death.

She reached Jason’s room, and nodded a terse hello to the nurse who was feeding him some broth. She’d contracted her own skeleton crew of staff through her father’s connections within the Yakuza, and she almost liked this woman from the moment they met. She always managed to look her in the eye without turning away.

“You may go,” she said, indicating the door. Yuriko approached Jason, taking in his nondescript but comfortable clothing. She’d insisted that he be dressed in reasonable apparel every day without fail, since the hospital gowns had been his constant garb every day, and they were a humiliating reminder of his condition, and his status as less than human. She spent generously from her trust to outfit them both, once she had her father’s estate release her funds and revisit the codicils in his will for a more flexible interpretation. She was sitting pretty. And thanks to her past few weeks of training, reconfiguring her neural net so she could function independently once more, she was back at fighting strength.

It was time to find the Wolverine and make him pay. Then it was time for Stryker to die. She’d already downloaded the schematic and blueprint of that blasted school in Westchester, and the surrounding suburbs. It was just a matter of time.

She released the brake on Jason’s brand new chair and wheeled him steadily from the suite. He projected the vision into her mind of the two of them holding hands in the buttery sunlight, and she smiled.


Westchester County, later that evening:

Ororo loathed the notepad clutched in her hands. None of her words were adequate for the task of telling the children that Jean was back. She’d scheduled the auditorium for nine the next morning to announce her return, but her eyes swam over the multiple, messy scratch marks from her pen. She tried and failed to remember how Charles had broken the news of her death when they returned home from Alkali with the Blackbird in battered condition. Explaining John’s departure had merely been awkward, but his former friends received the news with stoic acceptance. He’d been their bud, kinda.

But Jean had been their teacher, and a cherished friend and mother figure who understood their problems, soothed their hurts and fears. They were dealt a body blow when she was taken away. A pall of mourning had fallen over the institute, made more raw by Scott’s continuous decline and retreat into himself.

They’d finally dealt with her loss. How in the Goddess’ name could she explain her return? She hated herself that much more when she pondered, How long would she stay with them this time?

“I’m so tired of losing you, sister,” she whispered. “I hate feeling so alone!”

“Yer not alone, ‘Roro.” Logan stood in the darkened doorway, bathed in the shadows as he took in Ororo’s bedraggled form, seated in the pool of light from her desk lamp and still looking so beautiful that she made him ache. Wary brown eyes darted disapprovingly to the lit cigar in his hand.

“Don’t drop ashes on the Persian,” she chastised.

“I won’t,” he grumbled back. He approached her desk and made himself comfortable in the chair facing it. “Ya look like hell.” He wanted to kiss away the worry lines between her eyebrows, particularly that sharp little divot in the middle that always surfaced when she was about to really let him have it.

“Thanks.” She plowed her hands through her soft waves of hair, mussing it and calling forth an image of her the way she must look first thing in the morning, tousled with sleep and tangled up in warm sheets. He endeared himself further by tapping his ashes into her mostly empty Styrofoam cup of old, weak coffee.

“Happy ta oblige, Boss.” He heaved a gusty sigh that she’d come to recognize as the prelude to bad news. “I’m goin’ out.”

“Of course you are,” she replied, her voice too soft. Her chocolate brown eyes glimmered at him as she straightened up. “I won’t wait up,” she lied.

“I need some time ta think.”

“I was unaware that I’d thrown obstacles into your path in that regard.”

“Quit it, ‘Ro! Ya know this is hard on me right now.” If only she knew how hard she’d made it for him to think. Memories of how sweet she felt pressed against him, moaning his name and returning his hungry kisses were turning him into a nutcase.

“I know nothing of the sort. Jean’s back,” she purred, folding her hands on top of her notepad. “I have my best friend back, more or less in one piece. And you have the woman you love within arm’s reach, once you nudge Scott aside, unless you want to pick up where you left off. Driving him crazy was part of the appeal, wasn’t it? He wasn’t really in the way at all, was he? Making him mad was just a fringe benefit!”

“What the flamin’ fuck…?” He stubbed out his cigar in his fleshy palm, wincing slightly at the singed flesh before he chucked the stub into her waste basket. “What’s this about, ‘Ro? Why do ya have yer back up? Did I do something wrong? Why are you acting like this all of the sudden?”

Because you’ll only hurt me once I get too close. You’ll leave me once I get used to having you around. I can’t let myself care for you if you can’t bring yourself to stay.

Those would have been the sensible explanations. Instead, she took the tack of beating him to the punch, deciding that misery loved company.

“You don’t have to waste your time on me anymore. No more settling for second best, Wolverine. It was fun for a while,” she forced out, smiling harshly and running icicles down his spine, “but these things happen. Couldn’t let things get too stale, and play the game until it got old.” She clapped her notepad shut. “I won’t be someone that you just settle for.”

“Are ya kiddin’ me, darlin’? Is that what ya think?” His brows slammed together in a look that normally would have admired for its ferocity if she wasn’t the direct target. “I’m playin’ a game?”

“Yes,” she huffed, without hesitation.

“And ya think I’m settling for ya?”

“Correct.”

“Hell, no! Wrong, wrong, wrong. Try again.” He flattened his palms against the desk to keep himself from reaching across the desk to shake her, or haul her over it to kiss her. Both options sounded appealing at that moment. “I’m s’posed ta go back ta moonin’ over Jeannie now that she’s back? And I’m just s’posed ta ignore what’s been happenin’ between us like it was just a way ta pass the time?”

“There’s nothing between us,” she informed him. The lie twisted her gut into a hard knot.

“Bullshit!”

“It is bullshit when you try to tell me that you didn’t entertain the idea of resuming the chase,” she said crisply. “I saw how you looked at her. You were like a little boy who found his favorite lost toy.”

“Ya’ve got it all wrong,” he snarled. “I think yer the one takin’ an opportunity right now, darlin’. Jeannie bein’ back keeps ya from havin’ ta deal with what we have.” He was chafed by the fact that she couldn’t give him more credit than that; a guilty voice in his head reminded him that he hadn’t given her much reason.

“That’s ridiculous.”

“No it ain’t! Yer afraid.” He nodded and stared at her as though it were just dawning on him. “The bad ass Weather Witch is afraid. Ya don’t wanna own up ta yer feelings.”

“And what feelings,” she asked dangerously, “might those be?”

“That I’m gettin’ under yer skin. That ya like it when I look at ya. That it makes ya burn up when we touch. And that ya were havin’ a ball before the kids showed up in the kitchen.”

“If you like. Tell yourself that if you want.” She leaned back in her chair and cross her arms over her narrow ribcage. “Go. Pull your disappearing act. Peter, Hank and Kitty are my backups tonight. I don’t want to keep you from anything,” she offered, “or anyone.”

“Ya don’t wanna keep me?”

“No.” It didn’t matter that her hands itched to bury themselves in his hair and tug his head back far enough to taste the vulnerable spot behind his ear.

That was it. He’d had it.

She jumped back, rolling backward in his seat as he scrambled over her desk, swinging his long legs over the back of it before he grabbed her and pulled her from the chair.

“Fine,” he growled, right before hauled her against him for a bruising kiss that made every nerve ending sing. He felt her struggle for a moment, planting her fists against his chest in stubborn defiance, but her ragged moan against his lips betrayed her, as well as the greedy way she nipped and bit at his, demanding entry. Her hands went slack, flattening before they roamed their way up to his shoulders, then cupped his face desperately as she tilted it to an angle to suit her.

“Maybe I wanna keep you,” he rasped. “The fun ain’t in the chase. I want a woman who won’t run.” He stroked her lithe back, molding her to him like a glove, and she ground herself against him instinctively, unable to get close enough. They groped each other almost like teenagers, discovering different secret spots and kisses and what affect they had when each one was thoroughly explored. This time, it was Ororo who tugged his shirttails from his waistband, searching blindly for his heated flesh and nearly cheering when she found it. He groaned at her caresses traveling over his taut muscles, and her fingernail lightly scratched his nipple, making it pebble. Heat and dizzying sensations flooded into every inch of him that she touched.

“Shit,” he muttered, “don’t plan on goin’ anywhere for a while yet!”

“You’re the one making the hasty exit,” she accused, her eyes hot with want and lust as she wrenched open his shirt, popping buttons from it and sending them skittering across the floor. She zeroed in on his neck and licked his pulse mercilessly. It was all he could do not to come right then. Her hands were wild, shucking his jacket from his shoulders as she nipped his chin. His stubble rasped her vulnerable, silky skin, enflaming her.

He buckled beneath the assault of her passion, his breath rushing out through his nostrils as they kissed again and again. He’d have never guessed a few months ago that someone so buttoned-up could make him so hot, tight, and riled up. The throbbing between his legs only grew more insistent when she leaned into it, fitting her pelvis against him like a puzzle piece from his vantage point against her desk.

“I’m not goin’ anywhere, darlin’!”

Famous last words. It never failed, he would gripe to himself later, that whenever things between him and Sunshine got interesting, that’s when it would all go to hell.

The rattling beneath the legs of her desk caught Ororo’s attention, halting her mid-yank as she fought to pry off Logan’s wifebeater tank. His lips were still snugly fastened to her earlobes, summoning wetness and heat to her core.

“Logan…”

“Damn, yer so hot!” Mentally, she cursed the unfairness of it all as he skimmed his thumb over her plump bottom lip.

“No…LOGAN! Look!” She wrenched herself free, even though it nearly killed her, and his lambent hazel eyes were full of pained surprise. He jerked his face in the direction of her pointing finger.

The Styrofoam cup that he’s used as his makeshift ash tray rattled and shifted on the flat surface, jiggling until it was pitched from the desk blotter, landing with a hollow splash. Ororo jumped back to avoid splashing her good boots with ashes and stale coffee, making Logan grunt with the girliness of the gesture, until he realized that the entire room was rumbling around him. Shocked voices rose in a clamor from the hallway and over their heads.

“This isn’t good,” he pronounced, grabbing her wrist and dragging her against the wall of his chest, tucking her head beneath his jaw to protect her from falling rubble or debris, even though nothing was collapsing on them yet. Books wiggled loose from the shelves, clattering to the floor, and furniture around the study vibrated and shifted, sliding across the floor.

“It’s Jean,” Ororo whispered. “Logan…we need to get to Jean!”

“What the hell ““

“NOW! Come on!” She yanked him after her and they bolted up the stairs, calling out instructions to the students not to panic on their way.

Ororo flung Jean and Scott’s door wide without bothering to knock. “What’s happening?” She found Scott kneeling by the bed, clad only in a tank and his boxers as Jean convulsed and trembled on the bed, her face twisted in agony.

”The Phoenix must rise…the Phoenix…must rise…find the mutants…punish the sinners…!” She jerked spasmodically and thrashed on the bed, punishing the pillow beneath her head with her never-ending jerks. Ororo and Logan’s blood ran cold.

“Jean,” Scott moaned, clutching her hand and planting himself in her line of vision, leaning in close, “stop this! For the love of God, don’t do this! Calm down. You’re home. You’re safe. We care about you.” He paused to stroke her sweat-soaked hair. “I care about you.”

“S-save m-me, Scott,” she pleaded. Her eyes glowed with a strange energy before they dilated completely, obscuring the green irises with discs of black.

“Tell me how,” he cried. “This isn’t you. This isn’t you, Jean.” His words echoed Logan’s from the other day, something that he would have found ironic if the circumstances weren’t so troubling and urgent.

“Jean’s not here,” growled a savage, foreign voice from her lips.

“I know you’re in there,” Scott insisted. “All you have to do is come back. Remember why you came back.”

Her red tresses slowly drifted down from the eerie halo, settling back onto the pillow in lank heaps. Logan and Ororo were clinging to the doorframe and each other; she untangled her fingers from his shirt and loosened her grip but never completely released him. His heart was slamming beneath her palm. “You guys all right?” Scott inquired.

“Fine an’ dandy, Summers,” Logan grunted. “What the fuck was that?”

“Little touch of night terrors,” he flipped back. “No harm done.” Logan smelled his fear anyway, and felt his anguish from across the room. What really held his attention was Jean’s sudden awareness that she had company. Her eyes were riveted on him, holding him in a weighty stare.

To his horror, she muttered “You said you could be the good guy, Logan,” right before she passed out. He felt Ororo stiffen against his chest, and when he dared to look at her, her face was stony, draped in betrayal and hurt. She shook his arm off, withdrawing herself from his heat and support as she tersely informed him that she needed to calm the students and fetch Hank. She schooled her expression as she made her way down the hall, vowing to lock herself in the study and compose her notes for tomorrow morning’s meeting with the children. They deserved to know what was happening, as soon as she could inform them. Their safety depended on it.

She could sort out this mess with Logan later. Much later. She had notes to write…and she wanted to punch something.

Logan watched her retreat and looked as though someone had kicked him in the gut. Ororo…go after her, ya dumb fuck!! screamed the beast in his head. Don’t leave it like this! Tell her Jeannie wasn’t in her right mind! Tell her anything! Don’t let her just storm off! His feet were rooted in the spot. Nothing he said right now would make this right.

“Lemme know if ya need anything, Summers-“

“No. Just…go. We’re fine,” he snapped. Logan suspected his eyes were sparking with fire beneath the ruby lenses. He nodded sharply and left without further comment.

Time to make himself scarce.

The wind caressed him voluptuously as he tore down the road on the bike, never looking back at the pristine mansion or searching for a glance of curious eyes from any of its windows as he took his leave. Watching a few g-strings and pasties wiggling in his face for the next couple of hours might not solve the immediate problem, but at least it would provide a little distraction. Even he didn’t believe that, but it was worth a try to lie to himself.

He wanted Ororo so badly he wanted to howl.

He pulled the bike into the parking garage and smoked his cigar on the way to Harry’s, so he could enjoy a decent shot of whisky that wasn’t watered down before hitting the pricey tittie bar “down the other block.” This time he ignored disapproving onlookers that grimaced at the odor of his Cuban, and he didn’t extinguish it until he was good and ready, drawing the rich smoke deeply into his lungs.

Skintights was hopping tonight. He quirked a crooked smile as Vanity Six’s “Nasty Girl” assailed his ears, the universally accepted stripper anthem of any good gentleman’s club. Three girls graced the stage, wearing various skimpy versions of superheroine costumes that were amusingly “missing” fabric in interesting places. Last he remembered, Supergirl wore a little red skirt, not a red sequined thong with a yellow ‘S’ emblazoned over her goodies. She was charming enough, but he watched her dispassionately as he ordered a beer out of courtesy and to keep his hands busy and above the table. He noticed that it was a mixed crowd. He saw bachelor and bachelorette parties in various corners of the club, and he almost laughed when a bride-to-be in an ugly homemade tulle veil covered in condoms tipped over to the stage, clearly sauced, and wagged singles at the girl in her Wonder Woman costume, doing her own little dance to mimic her expert glide down the pole. The dancer licked her lips at her in blatant greeting, then dropped on all fours, crawling over to the edge of the stage to accept the offering with her teeth.

All of Logan’s senses went on full alert. She was a looker, but he’d seen that look of wanton invitation before, and a similar lapping of that full mouth.

Mystique. She even smelled the same. He watched her sashay down the little catwalk, cavorting with another dancer in abandon, yanking off her “Spider-Girl” bikini top to reveal pasties shaped like shiny vinyl spiders. She shimmied, triumphantly brandishing the top over her head and blowing the audience a kiss to thunderous applause and approval. Logan tossed back half of his drink in one gulp as he caught a glimpse of the telltale scars. Three evenly spaced, identical gashes marring her creamy skin, right over her ribs.

“Don’t quit yer day job, toots,” he muttered. She might look different. She might not be hanging out with Magneto. But Raven Darkholme running loose spelled trouble for anyone foolish enough to step into her path, especially since she’d been granted amnesty by the President for her part in disclosing Magneto’s whereabouts after the incident at Alcatraz. She sang like a friggin’ canary!

Her body was flawless aside from that tiny little defect, he’d admit that readily enough. Still sinuously tall and slender, with high, firm breasts and the muscled, lithe thighs of a dancer, Raven’s sapphire blue eyes scanned the crowd with little interest, something he understood too well. Never let yourself get drawn in. Focus on the job at hand. Get in and get out. Or in this case, make them get off. He shuddered at the memory of her looming over his supine body in the tiny tent at Alkali, morphing and squirming against him, changing from Jean to innocent little Marie, her expression a lewd mockery of her smile, and then to Ororo, making him want to throttle her for desecrating her image that way. ‘Ro wasn’t a whore. Not by far. She was a classy lady, and he took small satisfaction in watching her revert to her signature blue form when he threw her off of him.

That night left him frustrated with visions of Ororo lying on top of him, daring him to kiss her ever since. Shit. A guy could only take so much!

Raven’s dark tresses had grown past her shoulders, swinging in a glossy curtain as she bent forward, granting the onlookers with a birds-eye view of her creamy cleavage as Supergirl came up behind her and spanked her shamelessly.

Of course, that’s when her eyes met his. Murphy’s Law. His face reddened but he held his sober look.

The dancers wrapped up their routine, wearing significantly less than what they’d had on when they began, and retreated off the stage. He reminded himself that even Raven wasn’t stupid enough to revert to her old ways so soon after receiving a pardon from the government.

She was, however, still willing to poke her fingers in through the tiger’s cage to prod it and make him mad. Several minutes later, Logan hissed out a breath when “Ororo” came out clad in a tiny police woman’s uniform, the hem of the navy blue skirt ridiculously high. She smacked the billy club her palm and twirled a pair of handcuffs with libidinous intent. She shot him a look that dared him to act on the rage she saw bubbling within him.

“That’s just wrong,” he muttered. He snapped at the waitress more harshly than he meant to when he confirmed that he could use a refill, then tipped her generously when she returned. All was forgiven.

It was a crime to see Ororo’s chocolate brown eyes glazed with fake lust as she writhed and gyrated, running her hands over her curves and flinging the silly little vinyl hat into the crowd. He had a visceral reaction to seeing her body exposed when she allowed the girl previously sporting the Supergirl getup to yank her dress open, revealing a tiny navy blue triangle cup bikini with a ludicrous gold badge over each supple mound, and “NYPD” embroidered in white thread across the tiny, boy-cut briefs. It was wrong, but he couldn’t look away, and Raven knew that. “Supergirl” had fallen in with the wrong crowd, too, now clad in inmate stripes and pretending fear at Raven handcuffing her to the pole. The simulated display of them debauching each other created a lump in this throat that choked his breath.

They were a hit. He fought the urge to bash in the heads of every single punk that drew closer to fling dollar bills “ even twenties! “ onto the stage.

He had more pressing concerns.

How the hell did Raven get her powers back???

Logan sat through the next three acts and surreptitiously ignored the bartender’s bellow of last call. He made his way back toward the dressing room before the bouncers and stage security could nab him and slid inside.

Raven was already back at her vanity, putting away her handcuffs. She made a startled noise when his hand clamped around her mouth, and her dragged her behind a large changing screen.

“Don’t make me do something we’ll both regret,” he hissed. “Cute little show. Yer gonna take us where we can talk,” he informed her. He felt her body relax as she craned her face back around to look at him with amused eyes peering over his fingers. She snorted under her breath. He released her when he realized she wasn’t going to cry out.

“This isn’t the champagne room. That costs extra, you know that, don’t you?” She planted her hands on her hips, boldly eyeing him before she morphed back to her gestalt blue form, yellow eyes glowing and serpentine in the shadows. It still unsettled him to watch those odd scales slithering over her flesh and rippling into place. The thought occurred to him that when she changed her appearance, she “synthed” any clothes that she had on to suit her needs. She was unabashedly, brazenly naked now, even though her scales preserved the modicum of modesty that she didn’t give a damn about, anyway.

“Don’t let me catch ya soilin’ Storm’s image and draggin’ her through the mud like that if ya don’t want me ta treat ya ta some more cosmetic surgery, the old-fashioned way. Why’re ya here?”

“Career change,” she said idly, waving her hand in a dismissive gesture. “Boredom. I was…outsourced. Yes, let’s go with that,” she purred.

“What’s the big flamin’ deal? How’d ya get yer powers back?”

“There were a few holes in that cure,” she smiled. “They don’t remove the genes necessary to have powers; they only limit a person’s access to them. The serum reroutes the neural pathways in your mind that allow the mutant to wield their abilities and send out messages to the nervous system. My body has a photographic memory of every form I’ve ever assimilated, did you know that? And I can always revert back to my gestalt, with every molecule fully intact. I’m always the same old me, at the end of the day.” She stroked the tiny scars, drawing his gaze there, right before she skimmed her hand over her own breast, just to piss him off, emitting a kittenish moan just for effect.

“Knock that shit off, Smurfette,” he growled. “Enough of the parlor tricks. So ya got a job. Nice ta see ya making yer contribution ta society.”

“It’s a living,” she shrugged. “There’s been rumors creeping through the grapevine, Wolverine.”

“What kinda rumors?”

“This place is ‘protected’ by the local good fellas. Most of the clubs on this strip are,” she explained nonchalantly. “Word on the street is, people have been showing up dead. Identical, execution-style hits. All of them have been impaled. Organs flopping out of them, and their skin peeled off like curling ribbon.” She gauged his reaction carefully. “They think a mutant did it.”

“What’s yer point?”

“They were all affiliated with the Styker Crusade, when it was still active. And the killer had claws. Not knives,” she clarified, “claws.” The flesh over his nape tightened, and a cold sweat broke out over his skin.

“Damn.”

“Makes you feel silly coming back here and wasting your time with me, doesn’t it?” In a twinkling, she reverted back to the brunette bombshell, but he was annoyed to see that this time she was naked without the benefit of her scales. “I’ve gotta change into my street clothes and go home. Gotta feed my cat. Buh-bye.” She shot him an unrepentant pout and a babydoll wave of her hand before sauntering back into the dressing room. Logan stifled a curse before disabling the alarm on the emergency exit with a flick of his claw before he bailed.
Unwelcome by OriginalCeenote
“So what’s Miss Grey’s deal, anyway? Why’s everyone so spooked that she’s back at the school? She seems nice,” Dani reasoned, watching the bag of popcorn puff and swell up through the microwave window.

“She is nice. She was. Nice. Kinda. Long story, Dani.”

“DVD’s already in the player. Marie’s saving us a spot in the den.” Jubilee foraged through the refrigerator and found the two-liter bottle of 7-Up and fetched a handful of red plastic cups from the cabinet. “You could give me the short version, if you want.”

“There isn’t one. No way can I give you the short version of everything that’s happened since I’ve been here, especially when it comes to Miss Grey.” Jubilee rolled her eyes for emphasis.

Dani was still confused even after the unusual student assembly in the auditorium that, Ororo explained, was supposed to help them understand that the teacher whose passing they had mourned mere months ago was miraculously walking among the living. How, Dani reasoned to herself, could they begin to describe this so it made any sense? A miracle? Or a mistake?

Her grandfather had always told her about spirits, and other amazing things about her people, including men and women who wore the forms of animals and used their unique gifts. She always marked it up to folk legends and her grandfather just wanting to pull her leg and tell her a good bedtime story. Then when she was fourteen, her favorite pony, Sparky, told her to scratch an itch on his left flank. She’d nearly dropped the brush that she was using to curry his coat. All of the sudden, they weren’t just tall tales anymore.

When Jean returned to the school, Dani pondered the meaning of her arrival in greater depth than her classmates, fully aware that just because something shouldn’t be able to happen didn’t mean that it wouldn’t. She ignored Sage’s verbose theories of the pretty redhead possibly being a clever double created from Miss Grey’s biological tissue; everyone knew that a body was never found at Alkali. What they heck could they have cloned her from in the first place? Cotton balls and an old piece of string? Sugar and spice? Belly button lint?

“I call the LazyBoy,” Dani declared.

“Dibs on the loveseat,” Jubilee shrugged. She didn’t bother with an ice bucket. Despite Jubilee’s claim that this was going to be a girl’s night in, Marie casually hinted that Bobby might join them. At least Jimmy was already upstairs in his room, playing video games on Artie’s Playstation console. There wasn’t any chance of Marie and Bobby sucking face. Jimmy had threatened to walk out and let “Marie’s powers turn you into vanilla pudding” the last time the two of them got mushy enough during their movie night to make everyone want to barf.

The girls padded down the hall to the den, both surprised to see Kitty on one end of the couch already.

“I thought you were headed out tonight for that dorky seminar on biophysics,” Jubilee huffed, cracking her gum.

“They cancelled it. The dean’s office offered me a refund on my ticket.” She turned her attention back to the screen, chuckling at Hugh Jackman fanning air on Ashley Judd during her favorite scene of “Something About You.”

“At least go get comfortable,” Jubilee snorted, taking in Kitty’s outfit. She still even had her boots on, a pair of chocolate brown Jimmy Choos with a daringly high heel that Jubilee would have killed for, shoe junkie that she was. She actually looked kinda pretty, she mused. Her brown hair had been bumped at the ends with a curling iron and she combed it with a zig-zag part, teasing a little volume into the crown. Long bangs framed her face, which she had made up with the “no make-up” look that included a kiss of blush, subtle mascara and a light coat of peach lip gloss that went well with her delicate coloring. She wore a ballet-style black tunic with three-quarter length sleeves that wrapped and tied itself at the waist, leaving a deep V-neckline that only revealed the lace-trimmed camisole that she wore underneath. Matching pencil-slim slacks hugged her trim legs, making her look taller.

“I’m deciding on whether to stay in.”

“What’s to decide? We’ve got Jackman movies, popcorn, soda, and the rest of the night to talk about how dorky Bobby was in gym class when he accidentally froze his pants off again. At least until Marie gets here.” Kitty grinned.

“Sure sounds like fun,” rumbled a deep and familiar voice from the corridor. Dani craned her head around to see Peter looking surprisingly dapper in a black poet’s shirt tucked into charcoal linen pants with a sharp crease. He held Kitty’s jacket over his arm and nodded at her, rewarding her with a smile none of the other girls had ever witnessed until then. “Ready, Katya?”

Katya? Jubilee mouthed to Dani. She looked just as clueless. What was their deal?

“G’night,” Kitty waved sheepishly before hurrying out, waiting to take Peter’s arm when they walked out the front door.

“Well, hush my mouth,” Dani muttered. “Did those two just go out on a date?”

“You saw it here first,” Jubilee grinned. “I can’t wait to tell Marie about this!”

“You’re awful,” Dani chuffed, flicking a piece of popcorn at Jubilee to emphasize the point.

“It’s my calling in life.” Dani sighed over the ending of the movie, noticing that Hugh wasn’t much for open-mouthed kissing in what still managed to be a hot liplock.

“I love his hair,” she smiled.

“I love his eyebrow and that funny little thing he does with it,” Jubilee added, emulating it with hysterical results. The two of them giggled, and Dani almost snorted 7-Up back up her nose when Jubilee poked her to get her attention and did it again.

“What else have we got?”

Jubilee pawed through the bag of DVD rentals. “Hmmm. The Phone Booth?”

“Eh.”

“Pirates of the Caribbean?”

“Seen it.” Johnny Depp looked too pretty for her taste in that black eyeliner, anyway.

“Lord of the Rings?”

“I thought this was a girls’ night in,” Dani whined.

“Keep yer panties on! Ooooh…hold the phone, I think we have a winner. Sweet Home Alabama?”

“Whoo-hoo!” That was more like it. Even if it was torrid and sappy, Dani was in the mood for a chick flick. This one fit the bill.

The next ten minutes found them settling in and watching the “coming soon” previews of other girl-powered movies before the main feature menu. Everything was going fine until Dani heard Marie’s girlish drawl.

“Mind if we join ya?” To Dani’s disgust, Marie was still wearing her jeans from earlier in the day, her only concession to it being girls’ night the silly little pair of Hello Kitty ankle socks trimmed in pink hearts. Her gloved hand was laced through Bobby’s, and the two of them plopped onto the couch. Dani groaned. She and Jubes followed the unwritten rule that when you stayed in to watch a two-hankie chick flick with greasy popcorn and soda, the expected attire was ugly sweats, jimmies and bunny slippers that would never see the light of day. Looking cute in the hopes that boys would show up violated that rule. Just as Marie was now, since she’d not only stayed dolled up, but she brought a man into their private little Paradise Island. She wanted to cry foul.

Then Warren walked in, wings folded neatly against his back, and his sky blue eyes lit up when he noticed Jubilee on the love seat. Well, that just tore it.

She hated feeling like the fifth wheel.

Dani nudged the popcorn bowl to the middle of the table.

“Dani, you’re missing the good part! Don’t leave,” Jubilee protested halfheartedly, but her attention was diverted when Warren refilled her nearly empty cup of soda without being asked.

“I need some air. Laterzzz,” she cried in her best So-Cal accent, made all the more ludicrous since she was from the Midwest.

Dani crept out the back door of the kitchen in her fuzzy terry cloth slippers with Power Puff Girl heads winking back up at her with every step. She hugged her pajama top more snugly against her as she made her way to the stables.

The Professor didn’t keep horses anymore, with all of the safety regulations about maintaining the school grounds and keeping the younger students safe. Dani also knew it was a fool’s errand to try to keep animals safe and protected from the likes of Stryker and his soldiers if they were ever invaded again. Dani wanted to feel safe. She was hardly defenseless. But some nights, her parents’ voices came to her in her sleep, assuring her that they would be back soon. They never did.

She climbed the slightly creaky ladder to the hayloft and turned on the small battery-operated lantern to better illuminate the open space on her way back down. It was a cold but clear night, and the sky was inky and full of stars. She could have sworn a falling star whizzed over the basketball court. She unrolled a thick, coarse southwestern blanket and spread it over the boards to keep the bits of stray hay from poking her skin through her pajamas. The breeze stirred her hair as she leaned out the window. She was so deeply mired in her thoughts that she dozed off by the window, letting the breeze caress her cheek and bring in the scents of the outdoors.

The peace didn’t last long. Screams and sharp teeth dripping with blood invaded her sleep, and terror clawed its way into her throat. She moaned and whimpered and felt herself running, staying mere steps ahead of the behemoth that was hot on her tail…hungry.

Soft footsteps on the ladder rungs woke her with a start.

“WHOOZZAT!” Her hair flew forward in a fluttering black curtain as she faced the interloper, eyes blazing and alert.

“Dani! It’s just me, gal. Sam,” he replied, holding up his hands in mock surrender. “What’re ya doin’ up here all by yer lonesome?”

“Nothing.” She amended that. “Escaping.” She didn’t launch into an explanations of the dream that plagued her, but he’d heard her tiny cries on his way into the stable on his nightly stroll. He didn’t pry. “It was supposed to be a great big, sappy sob fest with the girls tonight. Turned out to be date night instead.” He gave her a look that said that she’d lost him at “sob fest” before he hoisted himself into the loft. Sam had unwittingly followed the girls’ night in rule, looking cuter than she would normally admit in his pajama bottoms and a long-sleeved Creed concert tee.

“Felt like the odd man out, huh? That stinks.”

“Why aren’t you in there? We had a couple of guy flicks. If you like Colin Farrell or Johnny Depp.”

“Ah don’t. Too trendy. Ah’m more into Bruce Willis. Loved The Whole Nine Yards.”

“Yeah! That movie kicked ass,” she chuckled, smoothing back a lock of hair and tucking it behind her ear. That’s when it hit Sam that he felt relaxed around her, and that she was fun to talk to about pretty much anything.

It didn’t hurt, either, that she was damned cute. Especially with sleep-tousled black hair and the starry sky behind her like that, throwing moonlight over her face as she leaned against the window jamb.

“Was that a good concert?” She nodded to his shirt.

“Dunno. Mah kid brother Jay went and brought this back. Ah stole it from him. He promised t’steal it back the next time Ah went home.”

“What’s he like?”

“Like a brother, I guess. A pain in the patoot.”

“Patoot?” Her grin was sly and appreciative. “Gonna have to use that one.”

“Feel free.”

“Was it fun having a big family?”

“It was til mah daddy died. Then Ah had ta be the breadwinner and make sure everyone had a full plate and got t’school every day. Then Ah wasn’t the big brother anymore. Ah was the man of the house. Jay hated mah guts.”

“He probably looked up to you.”

“Wouldn’t know it by the stuff he used t’do t’work mah last nerve. One time he put blue hair dye inta mah shampoo; turned mah hair this weird shade of slime green that wouldn’t wash out fer a week. The guys in the mines used ta tell me that Ah looked like their kids’ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ toys just t’be funny.”

“Green??”

“Y’ahp.”

“Geez…I can’t picture it.”

“Can’t say that Ah mind!”

“No, I mean…you’re so…wholesome.” He quirked a brow at her. “Normal. Cornfed. The green hair just doesn’t fit you. Have you ever tried anything daring like that?”

“Dated a girl who had her own band once. Mah momma actually took a liking to her, but it didn’t last. She convinced me Ah needed t’loosen up a bit, an’ she bought me this wild punk rock outfit, leather dog collars an’ all. Ah looked a fright. Scared mah kid sister Melody when she saw me!” he chuckled. He picked at the hay, playing idly with a few straws and dragging them through his long, slim fingers.

“I like something with a little pizzazz once in a while,” she admitted, “not that anyone notices, anyway.”

“Whaddya mean?”

“I just…I dunno. I feel like no one pays attention to me. Sometimes that can be a good thing. Back when my powers showed up, I couldn’t be around people at all. I just wanted to fade into the wallpaper. I just spent all day in the mountains until my grandfather called me down to dinner or needed help with the stock.”

“Didja live on a ranch?”

“Yep. Loved it. City life isn’t my thing, except to take in the occasional show or hit the mall.”

“Can’t blame ya. Ah lived in the hills. Ain’t nuthin’ like it. Mah internal clock was always set t’wake me up at dawn. Sun looked downright purty comin’ up over the hilltops.”

“I bet. Should’ve seen it from the Rockies. You wanna talk about ‘died and gone to heaven,’ and that’s it. Trust me.”

“Ah do.” When she turned away to look down at the grounds outside, she felt a tiny, scratchy object pelt her but brushed it away. Then another one made it into her hair.

“What…SAM! Butthead! Quit it!” she scolded him as he was just about to ping her with a small handful of straw.

“What? Ah ain’t doin’ anythin’, gal!” He was the picture of innocence, except for the mischievous glint in his eyes that were the same blue as knitted baby booties. The corner of his mouth rode just a fraction too high for her to be convinced.

“I get my own back. I don’t think you don’t want any of this!” she warned him.

“Any of what?” One wheat blond eyebrow quirked up in silent challenge.

The next moment Dani and Sam were rolling in a mad, cackling tumble over the blanket, each ducking handfuls of crisp, scratchy hay, tickles so merciless that they begged the victim to pee their pants, and various jabs against vulnerable, sensitive muscle and weak spots.

“Say uncle,” she growled.

“Aw, heck no! Ah’m just gettin’ warmed up, l’il girly!” Dani’s long black hair was speckled with bits of hay and fanned out wildly across her shoulders as she flung one leg over Sam’s rib cage to subdue him. His breath “WHOOULLLF!-ed” out of him as she monkeyed the back of his knee with her knuckles.

“AACCK!”

“C’mon, say it,” she offered. “You know you want to.”

“Who wants to?” He levered himself and managed to pry her leg loose, using the momentum to flip her onto her stomach. The wind was knocked out of her chest, and in a move that surprised her, he managed to lock her arms behind her bag in a hold that she hadn’t learned to break yet.

“Ohhhh, you don’t want me to get loose from this!”

“Sure Ah do! Gotta teach ya another lesson, gal,” he drawled, still pretty sure of himself. “What’s the magic word?”

“I’ll show you magic, buddy boy!” Sam was solid and lean, and she rocked herself in a jerking movement that managed to unbalance his straddle across her waist. She worked her arms loose, but found herself pinned again, this time on her back. Her expression mingled aggravation and amusement as she panted to catch her breath.

“Ah’m waitin’!”

“You’ll be waiting all night. I still won’t give.”

“Ah might as well get comfy, then,” he murmured, yawning and patting his mouth for emphasis. He cocked his hand at his ear. “What was that, Dani? Uncle? Truce? Ah couldn’t hear ya.”

“At least your hearing’s fine,” she smirked. Even though her arms were clamped against her sides, she still managed to twist her hand beneath him and give a sensitive spot on this thigh a savage pinch.

“GAHHH!”

“Gotcha.” There went his grip on her again, and she took advantage of the opportunity to tickle him with crablike fingers that unerringly found every rib and left no inch of his obliques severely, gleefully tortured.

“ACK! Hee-hee…quit it! DANG IT, STOP! Ah-ha-ha-haaa…Ah’m gonna..getcha…back (snort) jest you wait!” His whole torso buckled with the effort to protect himself from her hands, and her smile was positively wicked. His armpits were equally satisfying targets, but she eventually found that reaching farther up to get them also left her just as vulnerable and brought him even closer.

“Say Uncle,” she huffed.

“Uh-uh…”

“You know you want to,” she purred, goosing his armpit one more time before he wrested her hands away and pinned them on either side of her head. She was a sight for sore eyes, hair fanned out and still speckled with hay, hopelessly tangled except for a few strands that were caught in her lashes. She blew them off impatiently, her cheeks flooded with color, dark eyes shining up at him. The faint purse of her lips as she blew the offending strands up made him notice her mouth. “What’s up?”

“Nothin’. Yer a mess,” he remarked.

“Gee, thanks!”

“Welcome,” he grunted, returning her slow and easy smile. “Dani?”

“Yeah, Sam?”

“Uncle.”

“You give up? That’s it?”

“Nope.” Her arms relaxed, all of the tension of working up another counterattack fleeing as he softened his grip on her wrists. His thumb stroked the smooth inner flesh and traced the veins standing out in stark relief from their struggle. The caress made her stomach flutter. “Ah just didn’t want ya ta attack me again. Get’s a mite distracting.” He released her other wrist and brushed the remaining strands of hair from her eyes. Her smile gradually faded, and she looked at him in wonder.

“Sam?” she whispered. She shifted beneath him again, wiggling to get more comfortable this time instead of trying to shake him off. She let her long legs stretch and sprawl against the rumpled blanket as he began the painstaking process of plucking out stray bits of hay from her hair, smoothing the tangles as he went. His touch was tender when his fingers occasionally brushed her face and neck. She was afraid to question if it was intentional; she didn’t want him to stop.

“See? Ah’m not a sore loser,” he cajoled.

“You didn’t lose,” she reminded him. “Not this time, anyway,” she promised, stifling a smile.

“Hm. Ah guess not.”

“Sam…at the risk of sounding obvious, you’re still on top of me.”

“Hm. Whaddya know ‘bout that. Ah am.” He was. And he didn’t look as though he planned on moving off of her anytime soon, either. If anything, it looked like he intended to make himself more at home. He validated her theory when he stretched himself over her and rested on his elbows, fitting his body against hers, flush against her soft valleys and slopes. Her flesh woke up, tingling beneath his warmth, and her hands crept up to pick a bit of hay that drifted up into his eyebrow. She snickered briefly, then studied his face, memorizing his lean, high cheekbones and angular jaw and the way his lips twitched in thought. He had a faint dimple when he smiled like that, she noticed. She teased it with her fingertip.

“Kay. Just so you knew.” She lightly smoothed her finger over his brow, unrumpling it before she began brushing off the dust from his shirt. Dani felt his taut muscles and shoulders beneath the Tide-scented cotton of his shirt, and her hands stilled a moment, only to stop the brisk brushing and roam his narrow frame. A frisson of pleasure curled in her stomach. “One more thing, Hayseed.”

“What’s that, Chief?” They each took refuge in the nicknames that were borne of Danger Room sessions that found them trying to outdo each other at every turn. His lips feathered over her forehead, barely touching it, before they trailed kisses light as a feather down the slope of her nose, nibbling on the tip.

“Uncle.” She wrapped her hand around the back of his neck and tugged him down to her, kissing him tentatively at first, then with growing hunger. Her heart slammed in her chest when she felt his hands tangle in her silky hair, and her lips were yielding, even welcoming as he pressed closer, wanting to explore her heat and sweetness. She pushed aside the alarm that she felt as her fingers trembled, combing through his fine blond hair and cupping the shape of his skull, kneading a tendon behind his ear. He moaned his approval at her knowing touch as he gathered her more snugly into his arms and rolled them over. Sam captured her shocked giggle with his mouth, and her hair hid their faces in a curtain that blocked out most of the moonlight as they continued to “keep the peace.” His skimmed his flattened palms down her back, making her writhe against him instinctively, even though she knew that was a dangerous position to find herself in. Their kisses slowed, still liquid but less frantic, and Dani finally broke away to stare down into his beautiful eyes, framing his face in her hands.

“What’s this about, Sam?”

“Might not be all that obvious, but Ah kinda like ya, Dani. Ah’ve kinda felt that way aboutcha fer a while.”

“Oh. Good. That’s…good. I, um, kind of noticed you. And I like you. I mean, I like you, like you.” She punctuated that statement with another kiss that threatened to spiral out of control. She reigned it in, and she enjoyed the feel of his hands holding her hair back from her face as he drank in the look of passion there.

“Ah’m glad. Ah would’ve felt like ten kinds o’ jerk if Ah came up here and started wrasslin’ with ya, and ya didn’t feel the same. It’s nice t’be on the same page an’ all.”

“Oh, yeah! She kissed one eyelid, then the next as he blinked to allow her to continue, enjoying her steamy breath against his skin. Her lips explored his face leisurely until their lips met again, and Dani allowed Sam’s words whispered into her hair and light touch to chase away the nightmares that normally plagued her as they snuggled together and counted the stars. Sam’s heartbeat was steady and comforting against her cheek as she laid it against his chest, breathing in the fresh scent of detergent and his pleasant little Sam smell. Suddenly Dani didn’t feel like the odd man out.

Thankfully, Jubilee was sound asleep when she got back to their room. Sam had quietly kissed her goodnight in the darkened hall upstairs when they made their way inside. No way did she want Jubes to see her looking thoroughly mussed, still covered in bits of straw despite Sam’s efforts at brushing the worst of it off, and her cheeks flushed with the contented glow of being kissed by someone who knew what he was doing. She sat by the vanity and combed the worst of the tangles from her hair, wondering what Jubes would have thought of their little encounter if she knew.

Knowing Jubes, the inevitable “roll in the hay” accusations would have flown fast and furious and lasted for weeks.

The next few days found Logan itching with tension and anticipation, despite the “business as usual” atmosphere of the rest of the school. He taught his classes as usual, even the extra ones that he’d taken off of Ororo’s hands, but unease prickled at his nape and occasionally made him pause in the middle of a lecture, earning him bemused and puzzled glances from the rugrats before he gruffly shook it off.

Ororo was studiously avoiding him again. That pissed him off and just made that uneasy feeling multiply itself exponentially. Seeing Scooter and Jeannie back to their old tricks, mooning over each other and canoodling at every opportunity just made his frustration at Ororo’s reticence even greater. It dawned on him that he didn’t feel jealous anymore over seeing Jean kiss her fiancé, so much as it just aggravated him that whatever happened in their suite that night that Jean’s powers went crazy drove a wedge between him and the weather witch just when things were getting interesting. Sure, it walloped him upside the head when Jeannie came strolling back into their lives, but he’d finally begun piecing his life back together. That kicked in the chest feeling was finally starting to subside, and Ororo had a lot to do with that, but instead of just scooping up the shrapnel of his broken heart and pasting it back together, Ororo went and stole it away from him, the little brat.

Her scent haunted him. She always managed to be a few paces ahead of him, often leaving a room right before he made his entrance, so the most that he caught was the ripple of her white hair around the corner of a doorway as she took her leave. That fresh little scent of sandalwood and flowers “ even though the late fall had seen the last of the flowers fade and resume their sleep weeks ago “ teased his senses and made him growl under his breath. He wanted to drink his fill of it, and of her again if she would just friggin’ stand still for more than two seconds.

Logan learned that you had to be careful what you wished for. These lessons always bit him in the ass, he didn’t know why.

The beer can pyramid stood gleaming atop the small nightstand in the gloom of his bedroom suite. Faint moonlight from the first quarter crescent shone in through the window as he tossed his way through another restless sleep full of screams, blood and smoke. He was running again. Grimacing faces were rising up before him, and he slashed his way through bodies and limbs, trying to silence the shrieks but only succeeding in raising the clamor in his head. He was naked, cold and bleeding, his feet pricked by shards of glass and punished by the hard concrete of the facility that hosted angry-looking machinery and myriad wires sparking along the walls where they had severed.

The ground beneath him shook, throwing him off balance. His claws extended themselves against his will, puncturing his skin and filling his nostrils with the scent of more blood, this time his. He stumbled and fought to find purchase, and a low groan filled his room, even as his mind cried out until his vocal cords were hoarse. His fingers clawed the sheets and dug into the mattress beneath him as he seized and trembled.

“No,” he muttered. “No. No, nonono, get away, DON’T…won’t get me…”

His bed clattered itself away from the wall with the steady rumbling beneath him. The line between his dream and what was happening around him became increasingly blurred and thin.

The signature blast of Scott’s optic ray brought him fully awake and he flung himself upright, quaking and shivering with cold sweat. His bed, the entire floor, and every stick of furniture in his bedroom began vibrating and shuddering, and the childrens’ voices rose in alarm, this time drowning out the faint echo of his mind’s screams as he oriented himself.

He stepped from one bad dream straight into the scene of another as he raced out into the hall. The younger students were whimpering and crying, overwhelming his hearing, and he darted into the first one, banging open the door. Artie was rocking back and forth, clutching his pillow.

“Boogey man,” he whispered. “Wants to eat me.”

“Relax, kid, nothing’s gonna ““ Logan was interrupted by a low, guttural howling in the opposite corner of the room. He whipped around to face the plug-ugliest creature with slavering jowls and sharp yellow teeth advancing out and flailing slime-dripping tentacles.

“ARTIIIIIEEE…” it rasped. Logan’s claws came out as he threw himself between Artie and his tormentor.

“Help me, Mr. Logan!” he cried. He clenched his eyes shut and screamed again. “HELP ME!” His claws flew out, dicing through…nothing.

“What the flamin’ hell?”

The monster dissipated and vanished, tentacles still waving futilely. Logan spun to face Artie, who was still catching his breath in heaving gulps.

“What was that?” Artie shook his head, relaxing his hold on the pillow. Logan bent to check him over, looking for injuries. Not a hair on his head was out of place, no cuts, bruises or anything else to speak of. “Yer okay?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Good. Stay here.” More screams filled the corridor. He followed the source into each room, and was relieved to find Hank doing the same, looking downright silly in his striped pajama bottoms and bare, enormous feet. He lumbered into the boys’ suites, making sure they were fine. The sight that made terror creep up his spine hit him before he’d recovered himself when he checked Warren and Bobby’s suite.

“Don’t,” Warren yelped. “Don’t hurt me. Please!” Disembodied hands were groping his wings, grasping and tearing out his feathers in handfuls. He was curled over in a small ball on the floor, tears streaming down his cheeks.

“War! It’s okay! LOGAN!” Bobby cried out helplessly. “This just started a minute ago.” Logan slipped on a clump of ice but he managed to catch himself. “My ice has no effect on those things, whatever they are!”

“Might not hafta, pal,” he grunted. “WARREN!” he bellowed. “CALM DOWN, DAMN IT! This is in yer head!” He bent and clamped the trembling boy’s shoulders in his hands, jerking up to stare him in the eye. “It’s in yer head. Close yer eyes. It’s gonna go away. Yer not bein’ hurt,” he explained. “Yer not bein’ hurt. Look.” He nodded to his wings, which were still intact. Warren slowly met Logan’s gaze, his eyes full of disbelief. Logan nodded again. “S’okay, boy. Yer all right.”

The phantom hands disappeared. Warren jerked himself from Logan’s grip and rose shakily to his feet, then spread those impressive wings to see for himself. Not so much as a single, snowy feather was missing or bruised.

“Damn,” Bobby breathed.

“Sit tight. This ain’t over,” Logan growled. The shrieks from the girls’ wing were shrill and hadn’t decreased in volume yet. Kitty met him halfway in the halls where they converged. She grabbed his arm.

“I know how this is happening,” she gasped.

“Lead on, punkin’!” She yanked him after her in a run, pajama bottoms flapping as they reached Jubilee’s room.

“Dani’s the only one whose powers could do this,” Kitty hissed.

“She…was fine a minute ago. I’m scared, Logan! Please, help her!” Jubilee begged, wringing her hands as she knelt by Dani’s bed. “I can’t get her to wake up.”

Logan patted her soothingly before practically shoving her toward Kitty, who hugged gently as she watched Logan approach Dani, who was writhing and moaning gutturally, eyes open alarmingly wide, their irises rolled halfway back into her head. She seized and thrashed, and Logan narrowly dodged her flying fist before she could clobber him.

“Don’t…want to do this, I don’t want-to-do-this-is-issss!”

“Then don’t do it, kiddo.” Logan leaned in close, making shushing sounds through his lips to calm her. “Yer rilin’ up everybody, an’ I know ya don’t mean it. And ya know I hate ta do this…don’t hate me,” he pleaded, before he slapped her sharply. Her eyes rolled back to their normal position, searching his face and looking thoroughly dazed.

“Can’t…block out their thoughts. Hurts. Too much,” she informed him, clinging to his arm and digging in her nails. He winced but didn’t move away.

“Whose thoughts?”

“Theirs. Yours,” she whispered. “I’m…not supposed to be able to do this. S’not me.”

“Who is it?” he implored, and his earlier unease slammed into him full force.

“Miss Grey.”

“We’ve got her. Logan, go! NOW!” Kitty shooed him out, taking Dani from his arms and sending Jubilee for a damp rag. Logan’s last sight was of Dani absently rubbing her cheek.

“Sorry, punkin’, I know that didn’t tickle,” he called back.

“M’okay,” she called numbly. Hank was already at Scott and Jean’s suite by the time he got there, thoroughly rattled and ready to take names.

Jean was propped up against Scott, sobbing pitifully into his neck as he stroked her hair. Scott’s sleeping goggles were slightly crooked as though he had just put them on in a hurry.

“What the fuck was that all about, Summers!”

“Calm down, Logan,” Beast suggested, even though his fur was standing on end.

“I couldn’t begin to explain this,” Scott rasped.

“Try, Scooter!”

“Quit calling me that,” he snapped. Then he recovered himself enough to admit, “We had an accident.” He gestured to the ceiling with a small flick of his fingers. Logan peered up at the pair of wide, nearly identical holes in the ceiling drywall, jagged and gaping, still raining bits of crumbled plaster on the floor.

“Holeee…’Ro. ‘Roro! Outta the way, Hank!”

“Logan…”

“MOVE!” He flew up the stairs to Ororo’s attic loft, taking them two at a time.

Ororo’s loft was cold. Icy drafts of wind stirred the draperies and whistled in through the open skylight, which she had flung askew during the quake. Logan stumbled in through the door, which was already ajar.

Ororo sat huddled on the bed, bathed in a puddle of moonlight, shivering and clutching the coverlet to her chin.

“Can’t let it…bury me. Not again,” she vowed.

“Not again?” He eased his way to the bed, reaching for her…

“Everything was falling down, Logan!” she insisted, her voice rising to a hysterical babble. “Everything came crashing down! It was dark…cold. Couldn’t get free.” She shook her head against the phantoms, clenching her eyes shut. Logan’s eyes scanned her room, only then noticing the holes in the floor that he’d just missed stumbling into. They were roughly the same size and shape as the ones in Summers’ ceiling, and he gawked at the matching set punched through Ororo’s.

“Shit.” No wonder she was spooked. What a crappy way to wake up.

“I won’t let it happen again. I won’t be trapped again,” she claimed, jutting her chin at him in a defiant gesture that wrenched him closer to the bed and tugged at his heart.

“’Course ya won’t, sweetheart,” he soothed. “I won’t let ya. I’d never let that happen t’you.” He was yanked from his attempt at comfort when the first few drops of rain slapped his skin from the holes in the roof. Thunder rolled overhead, only adding to the terrors shaking up the occupants of the school and troubling their sleep.

“No thunder, darlin’. Everyone’s already afraid. Don’t send everyone runnin’ ta hide in the closet with a storm, too. I know ya can stop this.”

“I…don’t want to,” she grated out.

“C’mon, then,” he urged. Her muscles were still tightly knotted, and she almost didn’t let him peel the covers away from her as he tugged her from the bed. He carefully examined her the way in the same manner that he had each of the kids, checking for injury. Tiny bits of ceiling plaster decorated her hair, and he plucked them out solicitously. She staggered against him as he led her to the balcony and flung open the doors. “Let’s get some air.” The house was well fortified against the elements, so Logan knew they wouldn’t have to worry about shingles from the roof or loosened shutters assailing them while they were outside. Ororo gratefully leaned her hands against the railing and sucked in gulps of air, letting the gusts caress her, sensually ruffling her hair. Her hectic pallor faded, and her eyes fluttered shut, but her face was still showing lines of strain, and her lips were still pale. Logan was almost afraid to touch her; she was still skittish and looked like any contact would send her running “ or flying “ for open spaces free from anything that would hem her in.

“I heard the blast,” she whispered.

“Me, too,” he qualified.

“Everything started shaking. I wanted to fly, but I couldn’t. I didn’t know how. One minute, I was playing on the floor with my dolls, and my mother was making lunch. My father was reading his newspaper clippings and putting them into the scrapbook. Then everything started to shake.” He involuntarily approached her, barely letting his chest skim her back, and he couldn’t stop himself from touching her hair. He wasn’t the only one whose nightmares had come to life with crystal clarity. It rankled him that she’d had to suffer in the same manner that he had.

“A stray shell from a fighter jet hit the roof of our house in Cairo,” she continued. “The roof collapsed. Everything went black.” She swallowed against a lump that threatened to choke her. “I know you don’t need to hear this.”

“No, ya don’t know that, and yes I do, damn it! Go on.” His fingers kneaded the kinks from her neck, fanning out across her skin and giving her tangible proof that she was awake and not alone.

“I wanted to wake up. I tried. It wouldn’t go away. Everything was falling down around my ears. My mother’s voice was so weak, I could barely hear her. She called for my father. He never answered her, Logan! Not one word. I was trapped. I couldn’t move. I just saw her eyes, staring at me. I kept begging her to tell me it was okay, that we’d get out…” her voice trailed off. “They left me all alone, Logan,” she cried. “I was all alone in the dark.” He pulled her back from the railing and ignored his earlier nervousness at not wanting to crowd her. He turned her and urged her into his embrace, both gentle and brooking no refusal. He needed to hold her as much as she needed to be held.

“Yer not alone now, darlin’, okay? Yer gonna be all right. Yer not alone.” If he had his way, she never would be again, even though he struggled to figure out where that thought came from. A light rain pelted them, chilling his flesh, and she burrowed more deeply into his warm bulk, sighing as he tucked her head under his chin in a protective gesture. Amidst the still-swirling maelstrom Ororo felt safe and secure as Logan stroked her back, without the lust or urgency that characterized their previous encounters.

“We need to check on the others, Logan.” Her voice was muffled against his cotton undershirt.

“Already handled that.” He wasn’t ready to let go of her yet. Having her sweet, yielding body pressed against him satisfied all of his senses and his fierce need to keep her close. His lips moved over her hair, and she was dimly aware that he was kissing her, whisper-soft.

“I should check on the children. And on Jean.” He stiffened at the sound of her name.

“She’s with Summers. He and Hank have it under control.” For now, his brain amended sourly. Who knew what the remainder of the night would bring.

“What happened, Logan?”

“I get the feelin’, darlin’ that Jeannie happened. Not just the house. And not just the bad dreams. All of ‘em,” he emphasized, “including mine.” She didn’t press him for details, but she met his gaze with sympathy, cradling his jaw in her palm. “Dani was pretty spooked.”

“Dani?”

“Her powers ran amok. She zapped the whole house with their worst nightmare. Kid didn’t mean it.”

“Logan…do you feel edgy right now?” she inquired, drawing away to get her bearings, leaning back against the railing. Her eyes were clouding over, glowing that eerie shade of blue and sparking with electricity. “I can’t explain it. It’s like…I can’t turn my powers off.”

“Yeah?” That told him volumes. His own senses were swimming, making his skin itch and tingle. The night sounds from the surrounding woods came to him more sharply, and the howling winds were deafening, threatening to give him a splitting headache. “She might not be done yet!”

“Let’s go,” she confirmed, spurring him back inside. They put aside the tentative understanding between them, both loathe to leave things hanging in mid-air. Thunder clamored outside, hastening their retreat.

“It just never stops,” she griped. He chuckled harshly in agreement. They reached Jean’s room, and this time Logan let Ororo go inside first, refusing to have a repeat of the awkward night from a few weeks ago. Jean’s words still chafed him.

“I didn’t mean it,” she stammered when Ororo knelt by her and took her hand. Ororo rubbed Jean’s knee soothingly.

“I know you didn’t.”

“I…I wanted to see his eyes. That’s all. Just for a minute.”

“Is that how it started?”

“Hank?” Scott interrupted. “Maybe you and Logan should head on downstairs and make some coffee.”

“Make mine beer,” Logan grunted. Scott managed a weak grin and nodded as they made their exit. He knew Hank was straining his ears and walking slowly like he was, trying to catch the last stray bits of conversation, but they weren’t forthcoming. He was relieved when he heard Ororo’s reassuring words that it was okay, no one was angry at Jean. Just frightened, that was all.

“Scott, why weren’t you wearing your glasses?” She forced herself to sound calm, but her eyes were still in their transitional, milky state, flickering as the weather outside ebbed and peaked. It created an eerie wall of noise that underscored their meeting. Scott rubbed Jean’s back, willing her to come up with a feasible explanation, even though all of them escaped him.

“It was selfish. So childish, I know,” Jean confessed, “but it’s been nagging at me. I love him,” and this time, she gazed at Scott, even though she was speaking to Ororo, “so much. We share so much. I didn’t want him to have to hide himself from me. It’s such a small thing…” her voice trailed off. “I wanted to have all of him. All to myself. Just for a moment. Without hiding anything.”

“I’d never hide anything from you,” he rallied. “Ever.”

“We were together…here…you know,” she hedged. Ororo nodded; she resisted the urge to yell “Too much information!” and plug her ears, but her cheeks felt hot from the revelation. “And…it was so…beautiful to be back with him again. I wanted to see his eyes when he…” She let out a strangled cry, and Scott wiped away the tears that darted in zig-zags down her cheeks with his thumb. “All of the sudden, I was holding his power back. Like putting a cap back onto a bottle before it foams over the top. I thought I could handle it. Then all of the sudden, I lost control of my telepathy. I could feel Scott’s thoughts, his feelings…his love.” He kissed her temple, and Ororo nodded in understanding. “It’s an awesome sensation. I can’t even describe it. But then, everything just…got away from me. I could hear everyone’s thoughts. I couldn’t shut them out. I reached for a lifeline, one set of thoughts to latch onto to help me focus…and Dani was having a bad dream.”

“Goddess,” Ororo breathed. She gave Jean’s hand a squeeze.

“I zeroed in on her, and accidentally pulled her in with me. So she really couldn’t help it. This wasn’t her fault.”

“Jean, listen to me. Right now, you’re on a short tether. Look at me,” she indicated, drawing her attention to her glowing eyes. “Listen to what’s going on outside. I need you to help me calm the storm. It’s not just me. Scott has his glasses, but everyone’s fighting to control their powers right now, because you’re still reaching out through all of them. Not just their thoughts. Through their need to protect themselves.”

“I don’t know if I can do it,” she stammered.

“You don’t have a choice,” Ororo declared more firmly. The same determination tinged with grief that marked her journey to Alcatraz Island on that fateful night reared its head now. “Think of the children, Jean. They’re scared right now. Terrified. It’s our duty as their teachers to protect them, even if that means protecting them from ourselves.” She found herself on the receiving end of an indignant glare from piercing, watery green eyes.

“No one thought of me,” she whispered. “Where were you when I needed you, Ororo?”

“Jean ““

“I asked her a question, Scott!” she warned menacingly. “When I was just floating adrift in the dark, without any anchor, all alone, where were you?”

“Praying that it wasn’t real. That you hadn’t left.” She had a white-knuckled grip on Jean’s fingers, nearly bruising them. She felt that moment that Jean accepted it as the truth. Her shoulders sagged, and her eyes were no longer as dilated. The frantic energy charging every cell in Ororo’s body died down and filtered away, and her own eyes reverted to their customary, velvety depths.

“Much better,” Ororo sighed.

“You want to control me, don’t you?” Jean prodded, stunning her.

“No.” She rose from her perch by her side and stepped back. “I want you to be able to control yourself.” She nodded to Scott. “Get some rest. Both of you.” She felt Jean’s eyes boring into her back and felt a vestige of concern from Scott as she stalked out. In typical, unflappable fashion, Ororo made her rounds of each dorm, checking on the children and tucking the younger students back in. When she reached the boy’s wing, she peered inside Warren and Bobby’s room and wasn’t completely surprised to find Bobby looking exhausted and flummoxed, leaning his back against the wall as he sat on his bed, watching Warren vigilantly while Jubilee stood beside him, with his arms looped around her waist. She smoothed his thick blonde hair back from his brow, and Ororo was touched at the affection and concern she saw on the normally carefree girl’s face. Almost reverently, she occasionally paused from stroking his hair to caress his wings, covetously skimming her fingers through the luxurious loft of his feathers. It pulled at her when she heard Jubilee assure him, like Logan told her only minutes ago, that she wouldn’t leave him alone.

Ororo opted to give her a few more minutes with Warren while she went back to the girls’ dormitory, tucking Artie and Jimmy back in and giving each of them a kiss on the cheek. Sage, Sam and Kitty each flanked Dani, fussing over her and eliciting a weak smile from her where she lay bundled under the covers.

“Ya worried me, gal,” Sam scolded.

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Ah’d hate fer anything ta happen to ya, Chief.”

“You, too.” Ororo was surprised to see him kiss her forehead unabashedly, even though they had company. She exchanged smiles with Kitty, who noticed her hovering outside the door.

“We’ve got things under control, Fearless Leader,” she quipped.

“All right then. Bed!” She shooed everyone out except for Dani, reassuring her that she was all in one piece.

“My powers have never just…run wild like that. I never meant to hurt you, Ororo. Ever.” Ororo patted her leg from over the covers.

“I know. And as you learn to stronger control, the longer you’re here, things like this will be fewer and farther in-between. This may never happen again,” she concluded brightly. “Although,” she admitted aloud, “it’s times like this that I truly miss Charles. He was better at handling crises such as these involving everyone’s thoughts. It’s more his area of expertise.”

“You’re doing just fine,” Dani smiled.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence. I feel better already,” she grinned back. “I’m off to round up Jubilee. Get some sleep.”

“G’night, Ororo.” Jubilee came along obediently, albeit unwilling to pry herself loose from Warren. His eyes followed her from the room before he shut the door and extinguished their overhead light. Soon Ororo was standing along in the corridor, completely dark once all the lights were out.

Back in Scott and Jean’s room, Scott steeled himself, fully prepared to keep vigil over Jean, but he found himself drifting off slowly, yawning as he settled her against his chest.

“Not…leaving…youuuu.”

“I know you won’t.” She stroked his jaw, once again covered in a fine layer of stubble that she’d begun to grow fond of. His cheeks had grown sharper and more hollow over the past few weeks, in spite of the progress that they’d made growing reacquainted with each other. Her knowledge of him grew stronger and more familiar, and the memories of the cold, dank metal complex were pushed farther back into her mind. She laid a gentle telepathic “blanket” over his consciousness and tweaked his serotonin levels, mentally exhausting him and nudging him into blissful oblivion.

Scott dreamed of holding the woman he loved in his arms. Jean lay awake, with visions of fire and destruction running rampantly through her mind.

“Sinner,” she whispered into the silence of the room. Sinners, corrected that strange, brittle male voice in her head. The scar on her nape tingled again, but once again, she ignored it.
Interlopers by OriginalCeenote
When Logan looked back on that day, he’d always remember it as the last time he skipped his outer perimeter check of the mansion grounds.

Sunrise found Logan up for an hour already, giving his favorite Sentinel workout program in the Danger Room hell. After Jean’s little “episode” a fortnight back, everyone was keeping themselves on a short tether and thinking twice about using their powers unless a class or training simulation required it. Jean was surprisingly serene during classes, restoring what semblance of ease and trust that she could with her trademark, slow-spreading smile and level, confident voice. Her first two days back in the saddle as teacher of her literature and history classes were initially uneasy; Logan found the classroom eerily quiet, without any of the expected buzz of whispers, fidgeting, shifting of chairs, or dropping of writing utensils. The hairs on his arms stood up every time he strode down the hall and passed the door whenever it was ajar, and his neck tingled with tension.

Her eyes mocked him. He was sure of it. Something brittle replaced the faintly teasing, warm gleam that he’d come to take for granted. Her greetings and exchanges were cordial enough, on the surface. Logan would rip out his own small intestine and jump rope with it before admitting that she spooked him now. Whenever his guard was down, he was haunted by those frantic, senseless moments with Jean in the infirmary before she fled, feeling the crush of her lips, stealing his breath, claiming a furtive, generous taste of his essence. He’d abandoned all semblance of sanity when he gave into it, ignoring the alarms that went off in his head: What the hell did she do to One-Eye?

Sparks hissed and flew, their sizzle rising above the ear-bending scrape of his claws against steel as he tore through the Sentinel’s kneecaps, toppling it. Sweat, blood and spittle sprayed from him as he roared triumphantly, gutting the behemoth’s hull and eviscerating it, overcome with misplaced bloodlust. His muscles rippled with lupine grace as he grasped handfuls of wires and cables and yanked, jerking them from their moorings, hearing the automaton groan and squawk in protest. The Beast chanted to him as he labored over its destruction: There ain’t any blood, Patch. Ain’t too much different from takin’ a shower with a raincoat on. Where was the fun in that?

Didn’t help that the dreams started again.

This time, though, it wasn’t Jean staring him down, eyes and hair blazing, bringing the world “ and him “ to his knees. This time Ororo invaded his subconscious, beautiful and mighty, challenging him to come closer if he dared. That look, those slender fingers beckoning to him, her sweet scent tickling his nostrils just as he reached for her. She didn’t garb herself in celestial fire; instead she radiated golden light and electricity, letting the air currents dance around her, making her hair flutter in a flowing banner. She didn’t ask him if he’d die for anyone. Instead she asked the impossible:

“Will you stay?”

“I don’t know,” he admitted, hating the words as they came out of his mouth. He reached for her. She flinched away, eyes hardening as she shook her head, denying him. “Don’t know if I can, ‘Ro.”

“That means no.” She backed away from him as he gave chase, stumbling after her as she drifted farther away. “Will you live, Logan? Or will you follow the same path of trying to kill yourself everyday, as though you have nothing to lose?” She offered a smile of pity. “Or no one to love?” She looked at him pityingly, her decision that it was a bleak future for him plain on her beautiful face.

“Love hurts too damned much.”

“Not when it’s done right. Not when it’s shared. Powerful. Steadfast.” He knew she was calling him on his one-sided obsession with the telepath, holding it up for minute inspection and finding it laughable, and he was beginning to feel disgusted with himself, too. Logan watched with his heart up in his throat as her hands skimmed up her body, drawing the white satin of her nightgown taut over her toned abdomen, narrow, arched ribcage, smoothing over her breasts before her fingers fanned over and framed her throat, and Logan was enthralled by the sensations that teased him, lied to him that it was his own hands that followed that forbidden, heady path. She was temptation personified, everything he craved tumbling from her lips, glowing before him, brighter than Christmas Day.

“Everyone I love dies. I’m too damned dangerous fer anyone ta care about.” He was already falling for her, despite all of his efforts to the contrary.

“So no one’s strong enough to trust with your heart?”

“No one’s been fool enough ta take on that burden, darlin’.”

“Try me,” she challenged.

“Ya don’t know what yer askin’ me, darlin’. Ya don’t wanna be that fool.”

“You don’t think I can be that strong. And you’re wrong. What else is new?” she shrugged. “I know damned well what I’m asking you. If you’re going to be with us…I’ve already had my say about that. But if you’re going to be with me… then yank Jean off the pedestal you’ve placed her on and make room for me. It’s getting too crowded up there. And I don’t share.”

“Ororo…” His heart was hammering away, drowning out everything else but the sound of her words, pulling at him like a magnet. “There hasn’t been room fer Jeannie on that pedestal fer a long time, sweetness.” Problem is, yer so high up on it that yer outta my reach. Not like that stops me from wanting ya. Not for a second.

“Then work for it,” she taunted. “Reach out and take me, Logan,” she drawled, “if you think you can.” His hands itched with the need to touch her, but he hesitated as dizzying hunger for her spiraled in his veins, coupled with something savage and primal that wanted to chase that haughty look from her face by burying himself within her. “I’ve always been here. Waiting. Watching. Wanting you so much that it hurts.” Pain flitted in her eyes as she backed further away, but he wouldn’t let her get away so easily. Her winds whipped up, this time buffeting against him and driving him back, but giving up wasn’t an option.

“I do want you,” he bellowed over the din of the maelstrom that rose up from nowhere, stirring the shadows surrounding them. He couldn’t feel the ground beneath his feet anymore, and there was nothing to cling to. He focused only on reaching Ororo, craving her as his anchor. Every muscle in his body screamed in protest as he struggled forward, but he wouldn’t be denied her touch, drinking his fill of her, breathing in the scent of her skin and hair. He wanted to cry out to her to stop driving her away, until he realized that the storm brewing up between them was as much his doing as it was hers. “I only want you. Don’t do this.”

“Don’t make me, Logan.” His throat rasped and tightened as she pushed the air from his lungs with her wind. His eyes watered from the force of the gale, but they were filled with the sight of her fierceness and light.

He craved them. He craved her.

It was like walking forward on a conveyor belt that kept rolling him back, two steps forward, five steps backward until something snapped. He stumbled, then lunged for her, and suddenly she stopped moving away. She emitted a satisfied “OOOMPH!” that he echoed from deep in his chest as he fell upon her.

“Don’t run away from me,” he growled. “Can’t stand it anymore. I need you, damn it.”

“Always about your needs,” she groaned, eyes still sparking with dimming fire until he felt he begin to squirm beneath him. They slowly reverted to their customary chocolate brown, luminous and holding him in thrall as she spoke. “I need someone who won’t leave me hanging, wondering how he feels about me. Who won’t run at the first sign of trouble or boredom. I want a man who will love me without holding himself back. Who won’t hurt me.” Her words had a finality about them that made him grit his teeth. Her mouth looked so luscious, slightly parted like that, and he craved a taste of her.

“I don’t wanna hurt ya.” That was why he couldn’t stay. Pain flitted across her features, and he felt her jerk beneath him as she suddenly gasped for air. It was different from her panic attacks that he’d witnessed; he saw her pupils dilate and lip quiver as her lips dropped open, and he froze in undiluted terror as a trickle of blood flowed scarlet from the corner of her mouth.

“Logan…?” Her honey-rich voice gurgled in a strange rattle. “You…already have.” His arm tensed, strangely tight, every muscle knotted as though he had thrust it forward…

His roar resonated through the night as he pulled back, seeing his fist pressed up against her ribs, her blood flowing freely over his knuckles, bathing his wrist in sticky, sickening warmth.

“If this is…how you treat the..” her body was wracked by coughs, “ones you love, Logan…” Her eyes suddenly stared up at him, empty and wistful, her features twisted into a look of resignation before she breathed her last, taking away her warmth. She lay cold and lifeless in his arms.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” His scream followed him out his nightmare, straight into his room. His body bounced up from the mattress, and he held onto his forehead as though trying to keep it from splitting apart from the pounding he found there. Cold sweat broke out across his flesh. His room was empty, his covers were flung onto the floor into a messy tangle, and Logan impulsively reached for his cigars, cursing when he realized he left them in his jacket pocket downstairs. He raked his fingernails through his hair, clutching it as he mastered the urge to slash through something. He continued to fail miserably, and the pillows suffered the worst of it as his hand whipped out, shredding them and sending stuffing flying out like dandelion fluff on a spring breeze.

That brought him into the Danger Room, barefooted, restless and so frustrated his skin even felt like it wanted to crawl off his bones.

“Not again,” he snarled under his breath as he stood in the observation blister of the Danger Room, programming his favorite routine and releasing the safety locks, just for the hell of it.

The Sentinels only whet his appetite. One routine flowed into another. Sabertooth grinned at him like a hyena staking a claim in the pack before rushing at him, and Logan gladly showed him his innards, taking a cue from his previous handiwork on the robots, and this time he had the satisfaction of seeing the leonine, vulgar meat sack bleed in relentless gouts.

It still didn’t drive away the flashes of Ororo lying in his lap, bleeding. Pleading with him to know why he’d extinguished her light.

Upstairs in the kitchen, Jean poured herself a cup of Peter’s strong coffee, dropping in a large Danish sugar cube and smiling gently to herself.

Scott approached from behind, wrapping his arms around her waist and inhaling her fragrant hair, nuzzling the side of her neck for a furtive taste.

“Mmmmm. What’re you smiling about?”

“Nothing, baby,: she assured him. The image of Ororo bleeding chilled her, yet filled her with a strange thrill of unbridled excitement. Sinners, she sniffed, before filling Scott’s cup with the fresh brew. Logan’s anguish made her stomach coil and twist as they chatted over the morning paper.

It’s only a matter of time…


Elsewhere:

“It’s only a matter of time.” Stryker found that he preferred his own company to anyone else’s since Cornelius was removed from his employ under such…disappointing circumstances. He found that he missed the haunting, lilting symphonies drifting from the doctor’s lab, and the near-silence in his office was oppressive now without the ongoing chatter of their progress on their little project.

Thankfully he never grew tired of the sound of his own voice.

“What is this you have done, Eve?” Stryker inquired aloud, adjusting the small microphone attached to the laptop sitting on the old desk. Stryker maintained the room himself, relying on his Army habits of cleanliness now that he was without a regular crew of staff retained by Oyama Heavy Industries. The old Stryker Crusade headquarters had seen better, brighter days, but his office was neat as a pin. “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil,” he intoned, drawing on one of simplest tenets of the Old Testament and bending it to his purpose. “He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat and live forever. Mutants are like man, Jean. Mutants are sinful, reaching out to take from mortal men, Homo sapiens, what God made, assuming a right they don’t have to God’s tree of life. Your friend Wolverine, with that charming healing factor, thinks he will live forever, Jean. Righteous man doesn’t live forever on this earth, do you understand?”

Mutely, with a nearly imperceptible nod of her head behind her newspaper, Jean agreed. Her eyes glowed, the rings around her irises darkening slightly. She rubbed the nape of her neck absently.

“It’s time for the humans, God’s true children, to chase the serpents and monsters out of Eden, Jean. It’s up to you to lead the way.” She felt slightly faint, even giddy for a second. “You were given a gift. A special gift. God has made you an instrument of his justice. Don’t you want to please him?” Again, she beamed a beatific smile. Of course she did.

The strange frisson of awareness was back, bringing with it a sense of foreboding and grim purpose. Stryker’s chip transmitted his voice into the receptor Cornelius implanted within her brain mere hours after she was removed from the stasis tank before the last of the nutrient fluid had even dried from her hair. The narcotics had kept her tractable, trainable, and more receptive to suggestion. They also helped to keep the chip from being detected by Jean herself, or “Eve,” as William was fond of calling her. He expected that had she known of its presence, she’d have excised it immediately, rendering it inactive and tracing it back to its source. He wasn’t worried about that. She was close enough to the edge that all she needed was one last push.

Aside from the constant transmission of Stryker’ mission, Jean’s telepathy was returning, augmenting his words and the effect they had on her. She was in tune with his thoughts, emotions and moods, and his intentions overwrote her mind’s routines; she absorbed his presence like a sponge within her subconscious. She was Jean Grey to the world at large. Beneath the surface, she was “Eve,” willing disciple and replacement for “Hope,” the ridiculously named cure for her and her ilk.

Per his contacts on the outside, the school was teeming with children who still had their accursed powers in the wake of the Cure being destroyed at the Worthington clinics. The time was right to strike. Charles Xavier, their resident one-man alarm system, was dead and buried, leaving them open and vulnerable. Stryker had a covenant to keep. His vision was filled with rushing water, of clinging to the wheels of the chopper for dear life as he uttered one final prayer. He rubbed again at the scar over his eye, probing the ruined tissue with meticulous fingers.

William was just closing his laptop and winding up the cord to the microphone, tucking it into his pocket when his office door slammed open, nearly wrenched off the hinges.

“What on earth…HOLY FATHER ABOVE!? What happened to you?”

“Get away, Reverend! While you can…get away,” rasped his assistant Ralph, clutching feebly at a gaping wound in his side, progressively turning a more sickly shade of gray from blood loss. The evidence of his injury decorated the corridor behind him and dripped its gruesome trail all over William’s office carpet. “Get clear. Now.”

“She’s back,” he murmured, incredulous. Ralph nodded, right before he collapsed. His hand flopped free like a rag doll’s, leaving William an unwelcome glimpse of his kidneys swimming in a growing puddle of gore spreading across the once-pristine white of his lab coat. William sent up a brief, silent prayer over Ralph’s soul, right before stepping over his twitching form. He had no time to observe the proprieties, but his slack face still haunted him. William broke out into a skipping jog as he scanned the corridor, peering around every corner as he made his way to the service elevator.

Yuriko preferred the more direct route. She merely came inside through the front lobby, slashing through the security keypad and kicking open the reinforced glass doors with a cheerful punt. She was dressed to kill in violet-black leather that hugged her lithe body and left nothing to the imagination. Her glossy black hair was skinned back in an elegant, efficient chignon that left her face’s sharp planes and ruthless eyes defiantly emphasized. Her eyes were the last thing anyone in her path saw as she cleaved through the rapidly fleeing businessmen and technicians on the first floor. She considered the service elevator briefly, but decided that Stryker was too confident for his own good, and as vain as a peacock. He wouldn’t hide. Cowering in the basement was beneath him.

She hadn’t considered how much he had changed, she mused in hindsight, tsking at Ralph’s corpse, his arm almost pointing the way down the hall from where Stryker had fled. She simply followed his blood trail to the office and hit paydirt.

“Oh where, oh where, has my little lamb gone? Oh where, oh where could he be?” she sang under her breath in a surprisingly clear, sweet soprano as she turned herself down the corridor in the opposite direction of where she had come from, deciding he wasn’t stupid enough to double back to get himself killed.

You’re beginning to enjoy this too much, Jason pointed out.

“Guilty,” she admitted out loud. “Can you blame me?”

No. Yuriko?

“Yes, sweetie?”

Make him cry before you finish him off.

“No love lost there.” She grinned openly and let him feel her amusement in the in the mind touch. “My pleasure, sweetie.”


Stryker ran through the parking garage, his hard-soled shoes making the resonant sound of a basketball bouncing on concrete in the echoing chamber. He found his car in an inkling, fumbling in his pocket for his keys. He clicked open the doors in haste, his pulse pounding in his neck as he jammed the keys into the ignition. He didn’t bother with his seat belt, wanting to get out before he was followed. He jerked the gears into reverse and backed out, craning his neck around the sedan’s weather-beaten seats to look out the rear window. He accelerated without regard to the surrounding cars, then turned down the descending ramp to the main level. He was nearly clear. He yanked open the glove compartment and grabbed a handful of bills for the validation booth…

He never made it quite that far.

He heard a hollow, resounding thump on the roof of his car that startled him into nearly swerving out of control. He recovered himself just long enough to slam his foot on the gas again, only to be met with Yuriko’s upside-down gaze, cornering him as she smiled viciously.

“Did you miss me?” Her tone was saccharine, right before she left go of the panels of the car long enough with one hand, extending her fingers into gleaming, foot-long silver talons and plunging them through the windshield. She clung to the car like a barnacle as William ducked and dodged the skewers. Yuriko ignored the bite of glass slivers embedding themselves in the slice of bare wrist exposed by the leather. Shards of glass continued to spray across the upholstery and William’s body, adding new nicks to his flesh to keep the scar over his eye from being lonely.

Are you insane? Yuriko, don’t do this!” They were nearing the gate, the small red light disk on top of the gate’s orange and white striped rail winking at him as he continued to drive, trying to wiggle her off the roof. He lunged and ducked, cursing when she nicked him in the ear, nearly slicing it off.

CRAASSSSSSSH!

William fishtailed out of the garage into the harsh light of the New York City afternoon, hating the crunch of cars rear-ending each other as he sped away. The traffic began to part as though an ambulance siren had blown through the street. Onlookers cried out and pointed at the nondescript car with a shattered windshield as the striking woman struggled to take his head off through the remnants of the windshield. They eventually turned back to their coffee once an NYPD patrol car made its way around corner in hot pursuit. The civilians returned to their coffees and hot dog stands, shrugging it off. In a city that had seen the Statue of Liberty’s torch blown apart by mutants, nothing like what they had just seen was really out of the ordinary, after all.

Stryker had maneuvered the car in the undulating S-shaped pattern of a cobra wending along the sand, trying to shake Yuriko from the roof. She managed to gouge him in the shoulder while aiming for his throat.

“Jason sends his regards, William,” she hissed.

“Send him my regrets,” he grated back, did something she never thought he was capable of. She found herself hanging haphazardly as her whole world was upended; William turned the car on its driver-side wheels, putting Bo and Luke Duke to shame. He just about gave himself a heart attack, but was rewarded with the nasty sounding thud of Yuriko’s leather-clad body hitting the pavement with a thud. He corrected himself before he rolled the car and blew through the next two intersections.

The tiny tracer on the hood of the car chirped as it was armed and activated from roughly a mile and a half away. Yuriko stood and dusted herself off, heedless of the oncoming semi bearing down on her and honking the horn futilely, loudly enough to wake the dead…

KRRRRRNNUUNK! Nearly a ton of steel folded up like a discarded shirt as it hit Yuriko head on. Yuriko grunted in pain…then glared up into the dazed, bleeding face of the driver behind the wheel. He jerked once more as his tail end was battered by the car who’d unwisely tailgated him after the green light flashed. He watched in a mixture of awe and horror as her cuts and scrapes healed before his eyes, the fibers of her skin knitting back together over her bones.

“It’s like fuckin’ T-1000!” he muttered. Yuriko retracted her blades before blowing him a kiss that was absolutely coquettish before she strode down the sidewalk. She reached into her chignon and extracted a tiny cord and mouthpiece that was wired directly into a communication pack installed in the base of her neck. She was enjoying her new upgrades more than a six-year-old with a first Barbie.

“I’m on Fifth Avenue. Bring the van around. And load up the bike.”

“Tracer’s working like a charm,” her technician informed her. She heard the gunning of the van’s engine in the background and smiled.

“That’s what I pay you for,” she agreed. There weren’t many places for William to run, she reasoned.

William also never did anything at random, even making an escape. She would bring the fight to his doorstep.

And William Stryker would bring it to Xavier’s. As Yuriko rendezvoused with the van, he turned his car in the direction of Westchester County, not giving a damn if he cut anyone off when he turned onto the expressway. The laptop was still upside down on the floor of the passenger side, covered in shards of glass, but it was still intact. There was still a chance.

He would gladly die a martyr if he left behind a world free of mutants.

“Work through me, Lord,” he prayed.


~*~

Ororo pushed her fingers into the slightly damp soil, positioning the large, hearty bulb and turning it until it’s pointed tip faced up toward the sky from the long, even trench that she dug in the dirt. The midday sun caressed her arms, exposed to the elbow by her rolled-up sleeves. Laboring outside in the fresh air helped to chase away the specters of her nightmares for a little while, but she knew they would return.

Dreams that Logan starred in should have brought a mischievous, furtive little smile to her lips, but her eyes held shadows that were thrown into stark relief from her lack of sleep.

Dreamscape:

She was back on Alcatraz. Her hair and cape were whipping madly around her as she dove to protect whomever she could from Jean’s onslaught of telekinetic fury as she did her level best to tear them all apart. All on a whim. She recognized nothing of her sister and confidant in this awesome, terrifying creature with coal-black doll’s eyes, as indifferent and cold to friends as foes. She’d asked Logan if he could do what needed to be done when the time came…and he was making good on his word.

Will you die for them? Ororo’s blood froze in her veins at the callously spoken words, as though she were negotiating with the man who loved her above all else for everyone else’s lives. Selfishly, and just for a second, Ororo wanted to scream out, You don’t deserve him.

Not for them. For YOU! The words resounded in her head every time she thought back to that night, and they stabbed into her as she watched Logan plow forward, determined, fierce. Beautiful and intense. Strong.

Doomed. She gathered Bobby and Warren close, battling with the elements, trying to stem the tide of Jean’s hold on the atmosphere. She wanted to pull Logan back. It should have been her fight. She knew the scope of Jean’s powers from years of Danger Room battles and having Jean in her thoughts through what was an open, two-way channel. The ragged cry somewhere deep in her soul of “Only blood should take blood” came to her at that instant. She was Jean’s sister, if you didn’t delve into specifics. Ororo should have been the one to take her down.

Logan’s eyes were torn from Jean’s fiery spectacle for a crucial second, and his met Ororo’s expectantly. “Just doin’ what ya told me to, darlin’,” he confirmed. He lunged, extending his claws.

With a gesture, Jean wiped Logan out of existence, his features wreathed in agony as he discorporated before her eyes. Ororo screamed herself hoarse, rooted to the spot helplessly as she watched Jean take him away from her again, this time permanently. Darkness swallowed her up, she couldn’t breathe, and she felt the weight of the world crushing the life out of her as it had so many years ago amidst the rubble.

All day she craved Logan’s touch and the feel of his arms wrapped around her, but she couldn’t face him without being reminded of her failure to remove him from Jean’s attack. Her feet begged to tread their customary path to the garage or the Danger Room to seek him out, but she beat back the urge and locked it away. The words “You failed him” chanted themselves in her ears. She clung to his reassurances murmured into her hair as he stroked her outside on the balcony as her storm thundered around them:

“They left me all alone, Logan. I was all alone in the dark.”

“Yer not alone now, darlin’, okay? Yer gonna be all right. Yer not alone.”
His arms had tightened around her as though she were very precious to him, and his gruff voice was full of feeling and shared need. In the light of day, digging in the dirt and sorting through her feelings, it hit her: I love Logan. Not the storybook, romantic meeting of eyes and fluttering of hearts. It was never that bloody simple, she mused, stabbing her trowel into the trench to loosen more earth. Loving Logan was a soul-deep, agonizing, and undeniable hunger that left her breathless.

So what in the Goddess’ was she supposed to do about it now?

The answer to her question strolled up behind her, bringing the scent of Cuban cigar smoke to her nostrils. “Always did appreciate seein’ a woman gettin’ down an’ dirty.” She met his gaze, expecting the usual snarky look on his face. She tented her forehead with her hand as she peered up at him, shielding her eyes from the sun’s glare, and she bit back a moan at the fire she found blazing back at her. His eyes smoldered with heat, need and desire. She attempted to play it off.

“You know what they say. Idle hands.”

“Busy hands’ll make ya go blind,” he leered, throwing his usual shield back up. It didn’t help. She was sweating from her toil and smudged with dirt. Her long-sleeved Lycra blend top clung to her and kept nothing secret from him. Her deliciously rounded ass was snugly wrapped in faded denim and thrust up in the air as she knelt on all fours over the trench, positioning the bulbs in perfectly spaced alignment. She rested back on her haunches now, staring him down and looking good enough to eat. She radiated tension and defiance, and he could feel her frustration rolling off of her in waves even as he caught a whiff of her arousal. Her voice was cool, but she was hot, bothered and close to boiling over.

“Don’t you have enhanced vision, too?” She lifted an eyebrow in challenge, taunting him. “I guess it could compensate for that little affliction.”

“Hell no, it can’t. There’s only one thing that can take care of that problem.” He chucked aside the stub of his cigar and ground it under the toe of his boot. “The only surefire way I can think of ta nip this in the bud.” He knelt beside her, lunging for her, and she clenched her eyes shut at the feel of his hands gripping her upper arms and dragging her close. She felt his chest pressed up against hers, and her breasts tingled at the contact, betraying her as her nipples hardened into stubborn peaks. He wrenched the trowel from her soil-streaked fingers.

“I can’t help you with that problem. I can’t even help myself,” she admitted, struggling not to meet his eyes. His fingers captured her chin and raised it toward him, leaving her no choice. She drank her fill of the planes of his face and saw his vulnerability that mirrored hers. “Logan…I can’t help myself when I’m with you.”

“Then quit tryin’ so hard.” Her hands drifted up to stroke him. She turned deaf ears to common sense when it screamed at her to push him away. “I’m so damned sick of fightin’ how I feel about you. I can’t sleep, think, work or go about any friggin’ piece of my life without thinkin’ about ya. How ya taste. How ya sound when ya say my name. How ya feel.” Her breathing quickened as she continued the futile battle to compose herself, but he was holding her immobile, his own hot breath stirring the hair at her temple and warming her cheekbones. “How ya make me feel when I’m with ya. And how empty I feel when yer not there.” She shook her head mutely, but without conviction. He nodded back. “I’m empty, ‘Ro. I need ya so much it hurts.” I don’t wanna hurt ya.

“What if it’s not enough? What if I can’t give you what you need?” What if I fail you again?

“Darlin’, I didn’t have a fuckin’ clue of what I needed til ya showed me. Bein’ knocked flat on my ass in the woods by a gorgeous woman puts things inta perspective.” Her eyes were bright and shining with emotion and flitted over his features, looking for any clue of artifice. His face was open and sincere and so beautiful she could drown in his eyes.

“I’m not supposed to feel this way about you.” She could feel him stirring against her, even trembling.

“Ditto.”

“I’m sick of playing it safe.” Her fingers were already stroking his jaw. She spoke the words against his chin as she nibbled him, savoring the gentle scratch of his stubble against her flesh. The irony of her words struck her now. She felt safe from the world’s ills and her demons that haunted her sleep as he held her now.

“I’ve never played it safe, and I ain’t gonna start now.” He sought shelter in her kiss as he ravished her mouth. Their breath mingled, and Ororo was rewarded for her frantic caresses by his low groan and the tightening of his arms around her waist. He tilted her head back to drink deeply from her mouth, stroking her tongue with his as she plunged her fingers into his luxuriously thick waves of hair. She took everything that he gave while her heart and body cried out for more.

“I would never play with you,” she promised on a harsh whisper.

“I know,” he agreed. He rained kisses over her face that were both hot and tender, trailing fire over her satiny skin. He smelled the light, teasing hint of flowers and rain in her hair. It intoxicated him and spurred him on, making him all the more determined to have her beneath him, moaning against him. The sun shifted in the sky, and he felt the shadows dance over them, dappling the grass as the trees swayed over head with the gathering wind. She heard something akin to a growl as his teeth grazed her throat before fastening against her pulse, and he sucked a bruise to the surface in his haste. She just tasted too good, felt too right to do this slow. Heat pooled in her core, creating dampness in between her thighs.

Taking her outside on the lawn might raise a few eyebrows, too, he reasoned. Wordlessly, he rose and tugged her flush against him, and she staggered against him, dizzy with spiraling passion for him. Heaving chests, taut bellies and long thighs met and eased together as they struggled to keep any semblance of control. Logan mastered it long enough to grate “That way.” Her eyes followed his as they darted to the greenhouse. She nodded before she pulled away long to yank him along after her by the hand.

They stumbled and half-sprinted the rest of the way down the gravel path. The greenhouse was enormous and lovingly maintained. It was Ororo’s sanctuary and home away from home, and she guarded it jealously from careless visitors, forbidding the students from shortcutting through it on their way back from the lake. She clasped the handle of the door and gave it a stubborn squeeze, jerking it open, and they practically fell inside as Logan spun her back around for another kiss that made her knees buckle. She wrapped her arms around his neck and didn’t resist when he bent down to scoop her up and loop her legs around his hips, carrying her into the structure. The scents of various flowers and herbs assailed his senses, mingling with Ororo’s natural fragrance and sweetness and arousing him beyond reason. Sunlight streamed in through the glass panes, kissing her skin and hair and making her eyes glow with warm lights. She was primal and fit perfectly here, and he couldn’t think of a better place to claim her for the first time.

He lowered her to the ground, strewn with hay and mulch chips and covered her body with his as he laid her back, kissing her hungrily. Her hips bucked against him as he settled himself between her thighs, clutching her behind the knee to pull it up, stroking it’s length and scraping it gently with his fingernails. She arched into him, moaning and whimpering for him not to stop as he devoured her neck again, this time so leisurely that she wanted to weep. He savored the taste of her and every sound she made as her hands discovered him, traveling over his cords of muscle and sinew, exploring his heated skin. She groped his hips possessively, clutching his ass in her hands as she ground up against him. He was rock-hard and nudging himself insistently against her softness, wanting to bury himself in her.

“I want you,” she gasped.

“How do ya want me?”

“Any way I can have you.” He caught her earlobe in his teeth and suckled it, the breath from his nostrils whooshing into the canal. She was on fire.

He was determined to let it blaze even higher before he would quench it. His hands swept over her stomach, easing the hem of her shirt up over her ribcage so he could stroke her. She moaned at his touch against her bare skin, and she struggled impatiently, helping him shuck it over her head. He bit back a laugh, eyes dancing until he pulled back long enough to take a good look at what he revealed.

“Damn, darlin’, ya don’t know what ya do ta me.”

“I can feel what I do to you,” she teased, but her eyes were dark with passion. “Touch me. I’m begging you.”

“Ain’t gotta beg, beautiful.” Reverently his hands traced the curve of her neck and shoulders as he eased down the straps of her black satin bra, peeling down the cups. “Perfect,” he rumbled. He molded them in his palms, stroking her nipples with his thumbs as his lips nibbled the valley between them, making her shiver. He turned his face into the pleasingly smooth, full mound and nuzzled it, laving her flesh, surrounding it with nipping kisses as he closed in on it’s coffee brown peak. He captured it between his teeth and suckled it, drawing moans and ragged cries from her lips.

“Don’t stop, Logan!”

“Couldn’t if I tried,” he confessed around his captive morsel. Her hands cupped his head as she gave into the building thrill that she felt all the way into her womb. He released it long enough to turn his attention to her breast’s sister, worshipping it with equal devotion. Before one nipple could even fully cool down from being removed from the heat of his mouth, he would engulf the other, making her skin feel too tight for her body.

She didn’t stop him as his mouth eased its way down her ribcage, nipping it before the tip of his tongue darted into her navel, swiveling around its rim with mischief and making her squirm. He kissed and caressed every inch of her body that he uncovered, yanking open the snap of her jeans and licking the edge of trim on the waistline of her bikini briefs. She nearly came out of her skin, and she felt herself lifting her hips as threaded his fingers through the belt loops of her pants and tugging them down. Her panties nearly came off with them, but he decided to leave them on a little while longer. Her boot-cut jeans came off with another insistent yank, along with her small black ballet flats. Logan lowered his face between her thighs and took a long, loving taste, letting his tongue rasp against the satin of her panties.

“Oh,” she breathed, struck unintelligible by the sensations coursing through her nerve endings, pooling in her sex. He spread her thighs further apart and lifted her hips at a better angle to slide the tip of his tongue along the seam of her lips through the satin. He laved and teased it, mingling her wetness with his. She felt herself coming undone.

“Logan, please! Please let me…I want to…I want you to…”

“I ain’t done.” He drank from her as though he were dying of thirst, gripping her hips tightly so she couldn’t wriggle away from her. Mewling cries were torn from her throat, and she flung her hands over her head helplessly as she tumbled into an earth-shaking climax.

Or maybe that was just the thunder that was rolling overhead. She jerked and spasmed against his mouth, and he latched onto her pearl as she rode it out, taking him with her. Her thighs were damp and shivering, and his hands were gentle as he slid her panties off, kissing her knee as he did.

“Yer shakin’,” he pointed out as he eased himself back up, settling against her and laying his palm against her cheek.

“I can’t help it.”

“Ya don’t have to. I like feeling ya go wild like that.”

“You haven’t seen wild yet,” she offered.

“Likewise, darlin’.” She clutched the collar of his shirt and tugged him down for a scorching kiss. He undid the clasp of her bra and let it fall free before she wrestled him out of his clothes. His pants only made it as far down as his calves, trapped in place by his Ropers, but that didn’t deter him from kneeling before her and lifting her legs over his shoulders. He flicked his fingers over her, dipping them within her folds. She was wet, ready and burning for him, and he couldn’t wait another second.

“I want you, Logan. Now.” Her hand crept between them, searching for him, and she found his velvety thickness, closing the ring of her finger and thumb around it and pumping him slowly. She wanted to please him as much as he did her, wanting to make him never forget what they had at this moment, in the lushness of these surroundings. He jumped under her touch as her thumb slicked away a drop of moisture leaking from its tip. He nodded, stealing himself as he pried her hand away and butted up against her entrance, then surged forward, entering her in one fluid thrust. He nearly collapsed as her slick walls squeezed him tightly, embracing him in sultry heat.

“God, baby, ya feel so damned good!” he hissed. Her toes curled as she stretched to accommodate him. They fitted together perfectly, and his eyes drifted shut in awe of how it felt to be surrounded by her. It only got better when she moved beneath him, encouraging him to claim her. Her nails dug into his thighs as he obliged, pumping in long, smooth strokes. His flesh throbbed and pulsed as he buried himself in her depths, watching her mouth drop open on throaty sighs of fulfillment. Her voice became urgent and rasped out as he picked up the pace, rising to meet him as he leaned forward and took her, unable to get enough. Her scent, and her passion wrapped around him like a blanket as they made love. Logan’s face was twisted in ecstasy and outlined by sunlight and her climbing plants.

“I want you so much!”

“I’m yers! Whatever ya want from me, go on and take it, ‘Ro!” He reached down to stroke her plump bottom lip. She nipped his finger, then engulfed it, sucking it inside her mouth, mimicking the plunge of his member into her depths. “Yer drivin’ me crazy!”

“Good. I was feeling lonely.” Her speech was cut off by the relentless pistoning of his hips. She tightened around him, clenching her muscles in an irresistible grip.

“Oh, God! ‘Ro! Feel so damned good! C’mon, darlin’, don’t make me come alone!” He rescued his finger from her mouth, wanting to smirk at her bereft look until he stroked her clit with it, still damp with juices gleaned from her mouth.

“LOGAN!” She wanted to cry out that she’d never leave him alone. She did the next best thing and simply tumbled over the edge with him, falling head first into a climax that milked him, leaving him wide open and vulnerable. He jerked, chanting a litany of curses and what sounded like her name as he emptied himself into her. He lowered her legs from his shoulders and collapsed, spent, into her waiting arms. Her body twitched beneath his as she caught her breath. His back rose and fell in heavy gusts, and he felt her shift him more comfortably until his head rested in the crook of her neck. His fingers feathered over the smooth curves of her shoulders as she held him, staring up at the sky through the clear glass panes of the roof. Rain spattered and smacked against it in a steady rhythm that was hypnotic and peaceful.

“You’ve ruined me for anyone else. If you leave me again, I’ll never forgive you,” she informed him.

“Leave?” he chuckled harshly. “I can’t move right now. I ain’t goin’ anywhere right now. Tomorrow doesn’t look so good, either.” His lips found the sensitive little spot where her neck connected to her shoulder and took it hostage. She felt herself shifted more snugly into his arms as he levered himself up to look her in the eye. “As a matter of fact, tomorrow’s not lookin’ good fer anything but waking up to do this all over again. Preferably without grass burn. Not that this wasn’t fuckin’ spectacular.” He felt her smile into his hair.

“I was thinking ‘mind-numbing.’ And humor me a little, leave out the ‘fucking’ part. Might bruise my fragile ego,” she chided him. “I don’t ‘fuck,’ Logan.”

“No. Ya don’t.” Kisses landed like butterflies on her face as he gazed at her, locked on those velvety brown eyes. “Ya can’t put a name ta what just happened between us, ‘Ro. I’m not gonna try.” He skimmed the backs of his fingers along her jaw, and she leaned into his touch. “All I’m gonna say was that it was special. And that you’re special.” He kissed her lips with a sweetness that made her ache. “And this wasn’t just sex.” His voice held an unspoken question. She was touched that he needed the reassurance as much as she did.

“This wasn’t just sex. Logan, I-“

The rain outside had subsided to a dwindling sprinkle, so they heard the screeching of tires outside the front gates loud and clear. Logan’s hackles went up. They weren’t expecting company. He whipped his head toward the sound, and Ororo felt him withdraw from her, feeling chilled as he left her embrace and hopped to his feet. He struggled with his jeans, jerking them up over an erection that had already risen again to half-mast. He fastened himself uncomfortably back into them and nodded his thanks as Ororo tossed him his white tank.

“I’m outta here, darlin’.”

“I’m right behind you,” she replied, bra already rehooked as she scrambled for her discarded clothes. Logan burned with the urge for one more look at her luscious brown skin before he booked out of the greenhouse, sprinting toward the mansion. When he reached the kitchen, Hank was already bellowing at Peter to round up the children and lead them into the Danger Room.

“What’s goin’ on, Blue?”

“There was a rash of murders at the old headquarters of the Stryker Crusade in the city,” Hank explained. “It was on the news. Gutted corpses. A man was seen fleeing from the garage of the building, with a woman riding the roof of the car.”

“Shit.” Raven’s tip back in the dressing room of Skintights lingered like sour milk. Execution-style murders. Organs flopping out of the bodies, their skin peeled back like curling ribbon. Claws. Deathstrike.

“There’s more. NYPD lost sight of the car and the woman when they reached the freeway. The last time they sighted the car, it was heading south.” He paused, and Logan’s stomach twisted into a knot. “He took the exit for Westchester two hours ago.”

“Stryker,” Logan snarled. SNIKT. His claws extended themselves involuntarily, driven by the need to finish what he started at Alkali so many months ago. Not again. Not on his watch.

“I already told Kitty and Peter to suit up.”

“Ya haven’t been up against this guy, Hank. Ya don’t know what he’s done.”

“He’s done enough. Do what you have to, my friend. I won’t hold you back.” Hank leveled a sober look at him that told no lies. Logan took cold comfort in it.

“Yer smart not ta try.”
Overstaying Your Welcome by OriginalCeenote
The wind whistled through Jubilee’s ears, and she almost missed Warren’s soft chuckle as she whooped with less inhibited laughter.

“This is frickin’ GREAT!”

“I’m glad!” he shouted back. “Beats watching movie reruns on the Spike channel, huh?” Jubilee’s stomach had dropped into her shoes a while back, but she felt her heart shift itself into her tonsils as Warren dipped through the air at ridiculous, blinding speed, careening over the empty memorial garden. Tears of excitement leaked from her eyes, hastened by the wind tearing at them as they continued their madcap flight.

She’d been minding her own business, standing on the balcony on the second floor.

“Penny for ‘em?” Jubilee spun on him, startled enough at hearing a voice overhead from this high up. She shielded her eyes against the midday sun and her breath caught when it shot threads of gold through Warren’s blond hair and outlined his wings in snowy brilliance. He hovered aloft, grinning at her with more mischief than a guy that pretty should be allowed. It was bad enough that her heart did that little skipping thing that made her look at her shoes instead of at his face…boy was fiiiiiiiiiiiine.

“Your dad’s pretty loaded. You can afford more than that,” she accused, falling back on sarcasm as he usual mechanism to avoid dorky simpering. It had worked so far, before.

Didn’t help this time…

“My dad’s loaded. Doesn’t mean I am.” His eyes held a note of hurt in their robin’s egg blue depths. “I’m not like him, y’know.”

“Yeah.” She cringed at her lack of sensitivity. “Sorry.”

“S’okay. Whatcha doin’?”

“Hangin’ out. Tryin’ ta think.”

“Don’t strain yourself.”

“Har-de-har. Stay up dreaming that one up, Fly Boy?”

“Yup. Got circles under my eyes, cantcha tell?” Of course she couldn’t. He was perfect.

“Almost puts Spuds McKenzie t’shame. Hey, War, are ya just gonna hover like that all day?”

“Nope.”

“Kay. So…what are you-AAAAIIIIYYIIIIYIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!” Her breath was stolen from her lungs on a shriek that neighboring dogs could hear for miles. Faster than she could say “Holy shit!” Warren swooped down and grabbed her under the armpits, scooping her and clasping her back against his chest. They bounced through the air, Jubilee shrieking like a siren the whole way. Warren laughed as her voice ululated with the momentum and wing sweeps.

“Ican’tbelievethisareyououtofyourmindIcan’tbelieveitI’MFLYING!!!!!”

“Yup,” he agreed.

“ME!”

“Yup. We covered that,” he called back, feeling Jubilee’s pulse pound against his neck as he leaned his cheek against hers. She smelled good, and she felt soft and light as a feather. She had a death grip on his arms, which he gradually shifted until he was holding her around her ribcage. She thought rollerblading was wicked, but this…shoot. She’d never blade again. Nothing could top this. They cleared the trees in the surrounding woods, getting a perfect “bird’s eye view” of the perimeter.

“You’re something, you know that?”

“I don’t mind if you tell me again,” he admitted. She heard a wistful note in his voice, and she turned to face him, staring at him with curious brown eyes. She looked precious and beautiful to him in that moment, with her lips slightly parted and her cheeks flushed from the wind.

“You’re really something, Warren,” she obliged.

“Jubes…”

“Kiss me. Please.”

“Uh-huh,” he nodded, right before his lips descended upon hers, light and sweet. Jubilee’s heart was slamming in her chest, this time from the reality of Warren’s touch, up in the clear sky, like something out of the dreams that made her wake up with a smile right before she realized that they were just that. Dreams.

This totally rocked out loud. Her palm released its grips on his forearm and crept up to stroke his smooth cheek. It was over too soon.

The screeching of tires roused them from the embrace like a bucket of cold water. Someone was burning rubber outside the front gate of the school.

“That’s not anyone we know,” Warren muttered, squinting his eyes at the unfamiliar sedan. Nearly three-quarters of a mile out, a sedan with a dented roof was speeding along, hugging the edge of the road.

“The Professor has a lot of cars,” Jubilee reasoned.

“That one’s missing its windshield.”

“Crap. That’s not good.”

“Whoever they are, they’re headed this way…” His voice drifted off, and Jubilee felt his muscles stiffen as he held onto her more tightly, almost protectively, making her yelp in surprise.

“Whatsamatter, War?”

“He’s not alone.” Warren’s vision picked up the small, zooming speck that was gradually growing bigger the closer it approached. A lone figure on a motorcycle. Mr. Logan hadn’t taken Mr. Summers’ bike into town today. And the last time Warren had checked, Mr. Logan didn’t have a penchant for dark purple leather.

“That definitely isn’t good.”

“I’m taking you back to the house.”

“Like heck you are! Where the heck d’ya think you’re going?”

“I can head off the bike before she gets to the campus. We can’t let her get in through the gate if she’s hostile,” he reasoned.

“You weren’t here the last time anyone hostile got in through the gate. They just barged in through the back door without so much as a by-your-leave.” Jubilee shivered as she remembered the cold drafts of air whistling through the corridors after Stryker’s men roused everyone from a sound sleep after busting in through the walls with guns and searchlights. Remembering Terry’s screams made her ears hurt just thinking about it. At least having Dani as a roomie guaranteed she wouldn’t bust an ear drum if she had a nightmare. “You’re not going down there without me,” she carped.

“Jubes…”

“Get that thought outta yer head right now, Fly Boy!”

“I’m not letting anything happen to you,” he grumbled.

“Maybe I’M not letting anything happen to me,” she suggested. “Same goes for you, pal,” she added. She knew Warren was great at evasive maneuvers and aerial attacks just from their Danger Room sessions, but hand-to-hand combat was his weakest area. Miss Munroe was still working with him on that, reminding him that she, too, sometimes became overconfident in her ability to fly. It wouldn’t help if she was taken down by someone who shot her out of the sky.

Warren’s heart pounded the closer they came to the ground. He was perhaps a yard from touching down before Jubilee wriggled free from his arms, slippery as an eel.

“Jubee…shit! Don’t do that!” he hissed. “Get back here!”

“Nothing doing.” She was already giving off sparks of energy, charging her fireworks up and letting them dance on her fingertips. The car was careening toward the gate.

“That gate’s been fortified since the last time anything big and nasty plowed through it,” she called to Warren. “No way he’s getting in.” Despite her confident reassurances, she still gathered more energy, creating a Roman candle-sized flare in her palm. Warren flew overhead, circling above her, waiting for the first sign that he would need to pull her away.

Neither of them counted on the possibility that Stryker would have a gun. A wicked looking .48 pointed out from the driver-side window and aimed for the security box, blasting the intercom and keypad to bits. Sparks and wires spewed from the console, and the gates swung wide open.

“Crap,” Jubilee squeaked.

“Nononononothisisn’thappeningthisISN’Thappening!” Warren chanted to himself. He watched Jubilee pull back her hands, gathering up more energy, and she let fly with a sparkler as big as a basketball, hurling it at Stryker’s car. It exploded as it struck the grill, making the car swerve slightly, but he was still hurtling the direct path to the house, and bearing down on Jubilee, gun raised.

“NO! JUBES! DUCK!” Warren bellowed, eyes wide as he darted out, grabbing Jubilee and knocking her out of the car’s path. She felt the air smacked out of her lungs as he caught her and rolled onto the gravel.

“Ow,” she muttered from beneath him. His wings were a flurry of rumpled feathers. “Not one of my better landings. Or yours.”

“Ya think?” Warren griped. “Shoot.”

“What?”

“HEADS UP!” The motorcycle bore down on them this time, not pausing for so much as a millisecond. Warren reminded himself that the stranger needed both hands to steer the bike, which was every bit as souped up as Mr. Summers,’ until she relieved him of that assumption. She didn’t reach for a gun.

She raised her hand and leaned into the face of the find, and her fingers extended into foot-long, shining talons.

“Good time to fly us outta here, War!” He hadn’t released his hold on Jubilee yet, and she found herself yanked unsteadily to her feet and half-dragged as Warren took a running leap and thrust them both back up into the air.

“We’ve gotta tell Mr. Logan!”

“He’ll have a clue in a minute!” Jubilee’s thoughts raced. They had to warn Dani and Sam and Sage, and find Miss Munroe…all of the younger kids needed to be protected. And Jimmy…

“Jimmy!” she hissed aloud.

“What?”

“Jimmy! We’ve gotta hide him away!”

“They aren’t here to take him ““

“No, no! Not that! His powers, goofball! If anyone’s gotta get out here and stop these two nutjobs, they’ll need their powers! Jimmy’ll shut them off like a switch!” The light went on in his blue eyes as he weighed her words. He flew them over to the back entrance of the kitchen, and they burst through the door in a huff.

“Where the hell were you two?!” Logan snarled at them. “GO! NOW! Danger Room. Grab any of the kids ya find on yer way and stay there.”

“There’s someone outside…” Jubilee began breathlessly.

“Ya should’ve been inside by now. Hank already told me. Get yer butts downstairs. And take the stairs. If anything knocks out the power, I don’t wantcha stuck in the elevator and trapped where we can’t get to ya. Hurry,” he barked.

“Yessir,” they promised in unison, dashing down the hall to the back stairs.

Upstairs, Jean was strangely calm. She’d obeyed Hank’s terse command to assist the students out of the upper level, shooing them downstairs and making sure no stragglers remained in their dormitories or attempted to be brave. The corridor was echoingly empty. She reassured everyone that she would be fine when they begged her to come downstairs with them. Peter eyed her curiously before she beckoned for him to accompany them inside the Danger Room, which was now their makeshift bunker.

Soon it would be their coffin. She smiled serenely, humming an old Grace Slick song that her father had loved.

William’s voice had drifted in and out of her consciousness all afternoon. His voice was closer now, as were his thoughts. They were rife with panic and rage.

Eve. The time is now. Go. Go to Cerebro. Death has climbed in through our windows, Eve, and has entered our fortresses. Man’s fortresses, Jean. Mutants are walking, breathing Death to humankind. You know what to do. His voice became strident, urgent. His thoughts were a rambling jumble of determination rising above the clamor of the students’ fear and mental cries.

More visions of flames and destruction reared up in her mind. She embraced it, wanting to fling the doors wide to let in the maelstrom.

Ororo’s thoughts were growing closer, too. She was outside, and Jean was suddenly aware of a tickle of fading arousal when she felt the brush of the weather witch’s emotions. A quick scan of Ororo’s nervous system told her all that she needed to know, and some things that she didn’t. Logan’s touch was all over her body. Jean sensed it. After all, she would know. She felt the burning kisses and rasp of his stubble against tingling skin, hearing his heated, desperate words as though he had growled them in her ear.

So they finally gave in, she mused. Well, bully for them. She squelched the tiny, insistent voice that urged her to be happy for her oldest friend and sister who had found happiness with the feral loner. His passion was overwhelming as it was addictive. The Phoenix thrived on passion, and she thoroughly resented anyone who got in the way of her having her fill. She loved Scott. She would always love him. But she craved the heady danger and challenge of taming the Beast inside the man with a scorching thirst.

In the meantime, she could save him for last. She had students to kill. The chip in her neck pulsed and itched abominably, and she continued to rub her nape, finding no surcease.

More rage tickled the fringes of her mind. Yuriko. More passion, more bloodlust. Intoxicated by it, Jean drifted downstairs as though in a trance, and she shut off the claxons with a mere thought on her way into the foyer.

“Heads up, Jeannie! Where’s One-Eye?”

“Here,” Scott called out, bringing up the rear from the kitchen. “Two hostiles, according to mansion security monitors.”

“We know these hostiles,” Logan quipped impatiently. “Both of ‘em shoulda been dead.”

“So what else is new?” Scott jibed back. Logan gave him a measuring look with a raised eyebrow.

“Good point.” Score one for One-Eye.

“We don’t have Kurt on point to ‘port anyone out if we have to use any fire power,” Scott considered. “Peter’s watching the kids. Where’s Storm?”

“Here,” she called out. Logan grunted in surprise when he noticed that she had already slipped into her uniform. He suppressed his disappointment that she wasn’t charmingly disheveled or flushed with passion anymore before moving onto the crisis at hand. Silently Ororo met his gaze, nodding to him with the unspoken promise that a serious talk was around the corner.

Outside, Stryker was still driving like a demon. He’d wrested the laptop from the backseat and flipped it open. It slid back and forth across the passenger seat as he jammed the microphone one-handed into the port.

“Go to Cerebro, Jean. Find the mutants,” he cried. “Crush them. Kill them before it’s too late!”

He could have sworn he heard her light chuckle in his thoughts before she replied.

All right, William.

He had more immediate problems at hand. William heard the gunning of the motorcycle’s engine over his head as he veered toward the garage…

VVVRRAAAAAAAMMPP! SKAAAASSSSH! The bike bounced with the impact of a landing that would have made Evel Knievel blush with envy, miraculously staying intact. He recognized it as a prototype of a combat cycle that Oyama Heavy Industries was developing on the side as part of its weaponry project; the wheel wells gleamed with the telltale platinum hue of adamantium. Unbreakable, unstoppable, and handled by a vengeance-obsessed psychopath with self-repairing nannites. My cup runneth over.

Now all he needed was the Wolverine staring him down and promising to shish kebob him, and his day would be complete. Then again…

All he needed was to draw him out. Then Yuriko would be too distracted to pay him any heed. That would buy him some time to push Jean those last few steps toward fulfilling his mission.

Yuriko sneered at him beneath the protective visor of the obsidian helmet. Her long hair rippled on the breeze, flying out behind her in a sable banner as she stared him down. She revved the engine with a twist of her wrists, enjoying the growl of the beast as she straddled it, waiting for Stryker to make the first “ possibly his last “ move.

William tossed the tiny mike aside before clapping the laptop shut. He held the steering wheel in a death grip and slammed his foot on the gas pedal. He knew the Wolverine thrived on violence, was drawn to it like flies to honey. The car hurtled forward as he prepared to mow Yuriko down. She never so much as flinched. The bike roared to life as they engaged in a game of chicken. The bike went airborne again, but this time, she reached down and extended her talons, tearing through the roof of the car like it was a tin can. Fire rippled across William’s cheek and the top of his ear as she grazed him, drawing blood that ran warm and sticky down his trench coat.

The scent of blood and crunching metal brought Logan running, with Hank, Scott and Ororo hot on his heels. He took cold comfort in the closure and relief that he felt that he wasn’t going crazy back at Alkali after all: Stryker and Deathstrike were both alive. The former was currently skidding into the side of the garage. The passenger side of the car crumpled and folded like an accordion, and Logan was almost impressed with Stryker’s stamina as he jerked open the door and staggered out, never losing a step as he drew his .48. Who did he think he was gonna hurt with that pea shooter? Then it dawned on him…

“STORM! Get airborne! NOW!” She didn’t need to be told twice. Her eyes were already glowing an arctic blue as she threw herself into the air. Her winds carried the sound of Stryker’s curses to her as she threw off his aim. Just try it, she challenged him, throwing her arms wide and summoning lightning to dance over her palms. The drafts tossed her hair with abandon as her eyes shifted to the eerie white that signaled that her power was fully activated and live. The round cracked free from the chamber, but Ororo darted out of its path. SNIKT! SNIKT! Logan’s six claws sprang free from their moorings.

Don’t make Logan smack a bitch, growled the Beast in his head. His nostrils flared as he made his way toward Stryker. He ignored the gunning of the fully loaded chopper rearing up behind him.

“Don’t get too comfortable with that thing. Might hafta take it away from ya if ya point it at her again,” Logan rumbled. He couldn’t be blamed if Stryker’s hand got in the way when he did.

“I might take exception to it myself,” Hank agreed. “Didn’t your mother teach you never to aim dangerous things at people, sir?”

“You aren’t people,” Stryker accused. He leveled his gun at the blue behemoth in front of him, snarling back as Hank bared his fangs at him.

ZZZZAAAMMM! His hand vibrated as Scott’s optic beams knocked the firearm from his grip, sending aftershocks up the length of his forearm. He shook his hand limply, cursing again at the discomfort.

“You won’t catch me napping again, buddy,” Scott promised. His lips were a tight seam of defiance as he remembered the burning in the back of his neck when he woke up at Alkali in the darkened compound. Stryker made him attack the woman he loved more than his life. Yep, he’d enjoy handing his ass to him, even if he had to stand in line behind Logan to do it.

“I already have,” he promised, revealing nothing of his Trojan horse making her way to the sub-basement complex.

Downstairs, Peter was attempting to calm the clamor in the Danger Room as the students peppered him with questions and complaints.

“I wanna go home,” Weezie whined. “We were supposed to be safe here!”

“You are, if you stay down here,” Peter explained, close to the end of his tether.

“Don’t let them get me again!” Jimmy begged.

“We won’t,” Bobby promised. Marie reached out and tugged Jimmy backwards into her arms, hugging him fearlessly, to comfort herself as much as him. His eyes searched the room, giving him pause and making his brows draw together. “We’re missing some people,” he announced.

“What?” Marie’s head snapped up.

“The upper floor’s already clear,” Peter reasoned, but his pulse was already pounding in his neck, and Marie saw the terror written on his face.

“Not everyone’s here,” Kitty corrected him. “Dani and Sam are missing.”

“Boszhe moi!” Peter didn’t need this. Sam he wasn’t as worried about, with his near invulnerability when he was blasting, but he could be careless. They all had been, back when he first arrived as a new student himself. He’d thought himself unstoppable, until he’d met the Juggernaut, Magneto, and seen Logan’s claws slice through a steel tank. Dani, on the other hand, had to rely on the power of people’s inner demons and darkest fears. People like Stryker probably faced down those demons every day. People like Deathstrike probably had none to begin with.

~*~

“Ah never shoulda let ya talk me into this, gal,” Sam muttered.

“Ssshhh. Hush up, Guthrie, they’ll hear us!” From their vantage point on the eave of the roof, crouched down to avoid being sighted, the two teens prayed and cringed in response to the scene unfolding below them. Logan and Deathstrike seemed to be having a jousting match, except Logan wasn’t mounted. Yuriko was a purple blur as she sped past, bringing her claws level with Logan’s heart. He whipped himself inches shy of her plunging them into his chest, but she raked his flesh, releasing a gout of blood that stained his shirt and stung like a mother. She donutted the bike in a perfect three-quarter circle as she made another pass. Hank had other ideas. His furry fist shot out, and he clotheslined her off the bike in a move that made Logan decide Blue was his new hero. Stryker dodged the half-ton of runaway machinery, skidding through the grass. His nose was bloodied as he face-planted, raising his eyes to his adversaries to assess their next move.

The mansion was strangely silent. All of the mutant brats were out of sight now…then he remembered that some of them knew how to fly. He scanned the sky until a flash of red caught his eye near the roof. He caught the edge of a red plaid flannel shirt just past the edge of the wide chimney. Bingo. The visor-clad pup had relieved him of his .48, but he always packed a spare. He reached into his pocket and extracted the tranq gun, already loaded with several darts. It released a staccato “PTTTOOO!” as he aimed for the edge of the chimney, overcorrecting a bit to adjust for wind shear. He heard a youthful and feminine voice cry out.

“AAAAAHHH!”

“DANI?!?” A slender, dark-skinned girl collapsed and tumbled from the roof.

“Goddess!” Ororo swore, summoning wind to cushion her fall, but Sam was already on it, charged up and blasting himself faster than Dani could fall. His legs became a smoking jet of pressure as he flung his fists in front of him to aim his descent. Only a few seconds…had to make all of ‘em count…

“CRIPES!” The save was too narrow for anyone’s comfort. Just when Dani expected to kiss the lawn, Sam caught her in his arms, grunting with the impact and added burden of her weight.

“Don’t…weigh that much…bub,” she murmured. “Ow.”

“Ah wuzn’t gonna say anything, gal,” he assured her.

“Sure…you weren’t,” she rasped, staring woozily at him. She clawed at the dart stuck in her shoulder. “Sucker burns something fierce.”

“Ya don’t look so good, Dani.”

“Didn’t put on my makeup todaayyyyy…” Her dark eyes rolled back before drifting shut. Her jaw and her limbs went suddenly slack.

“Aw, gal, don’t do that, yer scarin’ me! Dani! Wake up, y’hear!”

“Get her outta here, Guthrie!” Logan roared. “Take her inside! Grab Jeannie ta take care of her!” Sam flew back around to the hangar, intending to go inside through the basement entrance outside and drop Dani off. If they needed him, he couldn’t afford to be locked up inside the Danger Room with everyone else. He’d have re-thought that logic if he had remained there long enough to hear Warren’s account of trying to do the very same thing only minutes ago.

“Are ya pleased with yerself, Stryker, attacking children? Thought ya were a soldier, pledged ta protect yer country,” Logan snarled.

“I’m protecting my country from mutant scum like you,” he reasoned, holding his hands up in resignation. “You don’t deserve to wear those, mutie,” he sneered, nodding to Logan’s dog tags.

“How dare you think you can decide whose worthy to protect this great land,” Hank growled. “The Department of Homeland Security pays my salary, Stryker. I’ve played golf with the President.” He added with a rare streak of smart-assedness, “and he pisses bigger than you.” Logan almost choked on the laugh that rippled up from his ribs. Even Scott was smirking.

“Hellooooooo…remember me?” purred a voice behind them. Ororo pivoted from her perch a few feet up in the air, only to find herself buffeted and knocked to the ground. Her back slammed into the grass as Deathstrike tackled her.

“RO!”

“We didn’t get to chat the last time we met,” Yuriko drawled, straddling Ororo’s ribs and squeezing her knees around them in a viselike clamp while she aimed her claws toward her throat. She feinted and jabbed while her prey struggled, pinning her with desperate brown eyes that dilated as she managed to fend her off, buying what time that she could for her teammates to assist her. She parried Deathstrike’s jabs with blocks that Logan had taught her, criss-crossing each blow with efficient opposition. Yuriko’s talons nicked her cheek, and a tear of blood trickled down her caramel skin. Yuriko couldn’t want to cause more damage. It was nothing personal. She just wanted to tear apart the Wolverine and take anyone he cared about with her.

Don’t let this one loose. She nearly froze me to death the last time, Jason reminded her gently. She’s mean. Ororo caught the faint pause in her movements as she stared off for a moment, as if listening to a voice in the background.

“You’re not here alone, are you?” Ororo suggested.

“I can take you out by myself.”

“You can try.” Her chocolate brown eyes shifted to a blinding white that made Yuriko’s stomach clench in anticipation, right before Ororo called down the fury of Mother Nature. Lightning zeroed in and struck home, sizzling through every molecule of Yuriko’s body. Her body spasmed and jerked. Unaffected by the charge, Ororo shook her off, rolling her off and tossing her aside. She struggled to her feet and wiped her cheek. Yuriko looked up, meeting her gaze, and to Ororo’s horror, before her very eyes, the scratches and burn marks and singed hair began to knit themselves back together like magic.

“Great,” Ororo muttered.

“For me,” Yuriko winked, grinning as mischievously as Logan would during their workout sessions. She didn’t have time to gloat. Logan lunged for her once he saw that Ororo was separated from her attacker before tackling Yuriko and raining a hail of punches into any inch of her that was left unprotected.

“Stay away from my girl,” he hissed, copping a line from Scott that seemed to fit the moment.

“Oh-ho! Really?” He realized his mistake the moment the words were out of her mouth. Shit. He forgot rule number one: Never let ‘em know who’s close to you. Yuriko blocked the plunge of his claws into her neck with a swift parry, bringing the flat of her palm between his fingers in true Three Stooges fashion. It would have made him laugh if he wasn’t determined to take her out before she could hurt anyone else. He struggled to disengage his claws from hers, locked as they were in a tangle of metal and cybernetically enhanced flesh. She took the opportunity to tear at his vitals while he was at a disadvantage.

“YEEARRGGH!”

“Ooooo. Did that hurt?” She gave him her best Betty Boop pout.

Scott and Hank were advancing on Stryker. Scott poised his hand on his visor’s release trigger, staring him down.

“Did you really think we’d just let you waltz back in here after what happened?”

“I’m more of a two-step man, actually,” he mused. “You really don’t have any clue, do you? You’re helpless without that esteemed Professor of yours, aren’t you? He did the thinking for this entire school of miscreants, didn’t he?”

“Shut up, you bastard,” Scott hissed.

“Make me. Better yet, you might want to listen to what I have to say. You think I’m just now returning to finish what I started?” He tightened his grip on the tranquilizer gun, alternating possible targets by aiming it first at Hank, then Scott, then back again. “Who’s to say I don’t have my eyes and ears? My reach is long. And so is God’s,” he mocked. “I’ve known every move that you’ve made for weeks. Every time you’ve headed into town. What you ate for breakfast today. What time of the night you balance your checkbook or put out the trash. Might wanna be more careful with that image inducer, Dr. McCoy, it tends to go on the fritz when you touch anyone. Can’t interrupt its field without the integrity of the holograph being damaged.” He laughed at the look of consternation that crossed Hank’s features. A chill ran down his spine at the realization that he’d somehow planted a leak in the mansion the night that they went out, leaving the children vulnerable.

“Damn,” he muttered.

“The nerve of you, anyway. Pretending to be human. A devil in lamb’s clothing, McCoy, that’s all you are. Don’t you know that I was inspired at first by your research with mutant genetics? I waited for years, man, YEARS for someone to deliver me of the burden of having a mutant for a son. Someone to lift the blight of living in fear of what my child could do to me or to anyone that I loved. Now I’m alone, my wife is dead, and I had to take drastic measures with my son, he was a demon seed and a liability. His existence went against everything that I stand for and that God created.”

“God created your son,” Hank argued. “Get that through your thick skull. You’re moving backwards while the world keeps on spinning.”

“Backwards,” he snorted. “Spoken like a liberal AND a demon. You call your mutations the next logical step in evolution. McCoy, each new generation of humanity believes it has made strides over the last as it embraces new sins and slights to God’s will. That isn’t progress. That’s just a speedier trip down Satan’s crooked path.” He shook his head in pity, relishing Hank’s scowl.

“You want new sin?” Scott shrugged. He blew Stryker off his feet with a scarlet blast from his visor, his jaw clenched at Stryker’s words. “Fine, then. Get ready to put up or shut up. Turn the other cheek, you sonofabitch!”

“Whoa,” Hank grated out. “Scott…easy, lad…”

“Back off, Blue!” he snarled.

“Right. Backing off. I’ll…just be over…never mind.” He’d had enough of Stryker’s rants, but was glad he had monologued most of his agenda in the process. He needed to head back inside, shooting back to Ororo, “Storm, don’t let anyone get in!”

“Henry!”

“Stay! I have something to take care of! Peter needs me!” She trusted him enough not to argue. She turned back to Logan, who was holding his own against Deathstrike, but not without significant damage. Watching him heal from each slice did nothing to alleviate the terror of watching her tear into him. It was like watching two rival pack wolves snarling and lunging for each other’s throats, teeth bared and slavering, both unwilling to back down until the other submitted or lay dead.

The latter wasn’t an option she could allow.

“Don’t think her going out the way ya came in, toots,” Logan promised her. She feinted and lunged, drawing blood again. His collarbone leaked ichor that drenched his shirt. He consoled himself that he didn’t like that shirt much, anyway. He retaliated by sweeping her leg and dropping her on her sweet ass. Niiiiiiice. She had the nerve to look stunned. They rolled over and over across the lawn.

“Logan…”

“BUSY,” he grated out. “Help Scooter!” She obeyed, turning to check Scott’s progress. Stryker was down, staring in a daze up at Scott from his vantage point against the trunk of a tall oak.

“You made me hurt my fiancée,” Scott informed him coldly. “Not a smart move.”

“Made my day. Anything to save the world from one more mutant breeder,” Stryker grimaced.

“Your wife was one, as I recall. I met your son. He takes after his pop. Bends the truth as he sees fit. Except he just creates illusions. You lie through your teeth.”

“Don’t call that abomination my son.” Stryker reached for his dart gun again, lifting it to squeeze off another round.” A pinpoint-accurate beam zapped it from his hand, and Scott made a halting motion with his own.

“Go ahead, try it. I can keep this up all day.”

“Won’t be necessary. I’m old, not helpless.” Stryker struggled back onto his feet, crouching into a stance that Logan would have admired. “Come on. Come and get me.”

“Don’t let him goad you, Cyclops,” Ororo reminded him. “Hit him again.”

“I’ve been waiting too long for this,” he shot back, ignoring her.

Men!

The two men grappled like titans, dealing blows like they were playing cards. Scott was younger, lean, had the height advantage and was combat-trained since his late teens. Stryker was an old Army dog before he abandoned his uniform for the robes of a minister. He was wily, pissed off, and hardened by his troops and later, his crusade that turned his back on him.

Stryker let Scott begin swinging before he snuck in a jab to his chin. “WHOULLFF!”

“Didn’t tickle, did it?” He punched him in the kidneys, grinning with blood-coated teeth. “Here, have another.”

“Bastard!” Ororo cried. She needed some space…anything for a clear shot. They left her no opportunity. She sighed. Time to do things the old-fashioned way. She calmly picked up a fist-sized rock from the ground and made her way over to the tumbling pair of combatants.

“Oh, William?” she clucked cheerfully.

“Wuh-“ BONK! Ororo pasted him right between the eyes, bending back the bridge of his glasses. He tumbled off of Scott’s chest from where he knelt, delivering blow after blow. Scott stared up at Ororo, still stunned.

“Shit, remind me not to make you mad.”

“Demon seed, my behind. Breeders. Not human?

“I get it. Geez…ow.” He rubbed his jaw. “Whaddawedo with him?”

“What do you think?” She picked up his discarded tranquilizer gun and aimed it at his unprotected backside. THWIPP!”

“That’s gonna hurt in the morning.”

“I’m letting him wake up. He should be thankful.” It wasn’t enough. She was in the mood to kill him once she saw Dani fall off the roof. She’d grown fond of their late night talks over tea and her youthful enthusiasm. If Stryker thought he was going to harm one hair of her cute little head, he had another ‘think’ coming. Stryker’s body gave one last twitch before he lay still.

Logan’s roar of pain snapped them both to attention. Yuriko was feeding him his lunch, clapping her feet around his neck as he flipped her over his head. She gave her feet a quick snap, flinging him in a clean arc through the air. The air whooshed out of his lungs as he bounced up from the ground, landing on his shoulders. He got up and cracked his neck to pop the joints back into place before turning back to her.

“That all ya got?”

“Nope.” Her face was draped in disgust at the lameness of the question.

“Good.” She came at him again before he could even catch his breath.

“This isn’t good,” Scott muttered.

“Tell me something I don’t know.”

“Go inside.”

“What!”

“Go. Hank headed inside for a reason. Stryker’s little laundry list of our comings and goings should have been our first clue that he’s someone, or something, planted inside the house. We’ve gotta figure out what.”

“Scott?”

“Yeah?”

“I think I already know.” She turned to face him, her face wreathed in sympathy. “You go. Logan needs me.” She swallowed harshly. “Jean needs you.”

“Jean…”

“GO! NOW, Scott!” She socked him when his shock at her words rooted him to the ground. He grunted in agreement before he took off like a shot. He headed straight for the hangar, going in the same way that Sam had gone with Dani.

He passed them in the infirmary. Jean was nowhere to be found.

“Where’s Miss Grey?” Scott demanded. Dani was lying on the stretcher with Sam hovering protectively over her, banding her arm with a thick pad and a roll of gauze. Her shirt sleeve was shredded, but she was coming around.

“Dunno, teach. I couldn’t find her when I checked the Danger Room. Ah came here t’take care o’ my gal here, she was pretty roughed up. Pete’s still keepin’ watch on everybody else. Ah can’t hear her in mah head.”

“Can’t hear who?”

“Miss Grey. Normally Ah hear her every now and again when Ah call out ta her with mah thoughts, but she’s not reachin’ back ta me. It’s like she just up an’ disappeared.”

“Oh, no.”

“Whatsamatter, Mr. Summers?”

“There’s only one room in the house that would completely shut her off like that. Stay here,” he snapped.

“Shouldn’t we head back to the Danger Room, sir?”

“No. Here’s fine for the moment. It might be better if we’re not all in one place.” With that, he took off again, letting the doors swing open after him in his haste.

“That didn’t sound good,” Dani groaned beside him.

“Sure didn’t,” he agreed, staring down at her and stroking back a lock of her hair. She gripped his other hand that gripped her good arm, covering it with her warmth. She was petrified that this might be the last time they were able to be together like this.

Things were about to get worse.

The infirmary disappeared, replaced by the cold shadows of the trees surrounding her parents’ ranch in the Rockies. Dani found herself alone, standing outside on the porch. Something felt very, very wrong.

“SAM?” she cried out. A low growl and a scuffling of paws on the ground made her spin around to face the threat. She reached for her father’s hunting rifle, drawing it and cocking the trigger.

“Don’t come any closer,” she warned.

“Dani,” Sam murmured. “What are ya yellin’ about?” She’d edged away from him, stumbling off of the cot and backing into the corner.

She didn’t see him. Couldn’t hear him. All she could see were glowing red predator’s eyes and gleaming teeth in a velvety carpet of dark fur, lumbering out of the darkness, straight for her.

“NO!” It was the bear that killed her parents. And he was hungry. “YOU WON’T GET ME!”

“Cripes!”

Caught in the grip of her nightmare, Dani aimed the rifle. Her psychic probe darted out for the first mind that she found. Sam trembled as he was plunged headlong back into the Kentucky coalmines. The walls of the tunnel quivered and cracked all around him as the ground shook beneath his feet. All he could hear were his friends crying out for help. He couldn’t reach them all. He just grabbed hands and arms as he could and felt his legs burning up. He pushed himself toward the light and took off like a shot…

Dani and Sam lay there in the infirmary in a daze, semi-catatonic. If Scott had remained behind long enough, he would have realized that Dani’s illusions weren’t at play this time.

Jason sat back in the van parked a few kilometers from the school’s front gates and allowed himself a smile from his palsied lips. So many new toys to play with.

Logan was giving Yuriko’s cybernetics a run for their money, cursing every time she healed herself, three times faster than his own healing factor could handle when he was at full strength. She looked fresh as a daisy. In the meantime, his clothes were shredded, he was bathed in sweat, and he silently fumed to himself “Wouldja just DIE already, damn it!” Ororo, once again, refused to listen to him. She was right there beside him, giving Yuriko hell. Her uniform had seen better days, more ventilated with slash marks and tears, but thankfully her skin wasn’t weeping blood. Not yet. Yuriko was working on it.

“You won’t be so pretty when I’m done with you.”

“Awww. I’m more than a pretty face,” Ororo complained, giving a false moue of disappointment. It wasn’t nice to be underestimated like that. Logan and Ororo drove her backward, and Ororo called lightning to her hands again, randomly shocking her when she doubled back. It only stunned her. Her nannite net was already repairing her systems and compensating for the current.

“We ain’t getting anywhere doin’ this,” Logan hissed.

“Got any ideas?”

“I can help with that,” piped a voice that Ororo was outraged to hear by her elbow. “Hi, ‘Ro.”

“Get back in the house, Kitten! You don’t belong out here!”

“No less than you do.” Yuriko smiled as she watched the tiny slip of a girl phase up out of the ground behind the two X-Men.

“You’re letting the children fight your battles for you now?”

“Hey, I’m on sabbatical, and don’t call me a kid.”

“Fine, then. I’ll call you dead.”

“As if. Didn’t anyone tell you? I can phase,” she bragged.

“You can’t stay that way forever,” Yuriko pointed out.

“I can if it’s my normal state.” Yuriko’s smile faltered as Kitty turned up the wattage on hers. “And by the way…I have this funny effect on electrical systems and computer equipment. This might hurt a little.” With that, she took a running leap and dove through Yuriko’s torso.

“AAAAAAAGGGGGGH!” Yuriko spasmed and seized before she collapsed onto the ground. She writhed in pain, and Logan and Ororo watched with a mixture of relief and nausea as her body began to unravel itself. Wounds that had healed only moments ago reopened themselves, streaking her flesh with red stripes and ragged ruptures. Her eyes were flickering…the same glazed look came over them that Logan had witnessed when she’d collapsed into the tank at the Alkali complex. Sparks and filaments of circuitry flew free from her limbs and neck as she continued to convulse.

“Not…fair.”

“Life ain’t fair, darlin’,” Logan drawled.

“You can’t…let that bastard…live. Look what he did to me. To Jason.”

“He ain’t in no shape ta hurt his kid anymore. Besides, Jason’s dead,” Logan pointed out.

“Silly man,” she huffed, flecks of blood spraying from her lips as she scoffed up at him. She turned her head as though hearing someone whispering in her ear. “You were right, Jason. Foolish, aren’t they? And so…easy…to play wiiiiiiith…” Her voice tapered off as her head listed lifelessly to the side. Logan’s hackles went up as he felt her spirit leave her. She smelled dead. Ororo was still stunned.

“You okay, Kitten?”

“Better than she is,” she sniffed, nodding to Yuriko. Ororo hated to see her so hard, at so young of an age, but she respected everything that Kitty had become under their tutelage and admired the strong woman that she had become. They scrambled back inside. Logan made a mental note to come back and dispose of the bodies at the earliest opportunity. He didn’t want to the kids to see the wreck that they made of the garage and Ororo’s garden in the morning.

Inside the mansion, Scott was bolting down the corridor toward Cerebro. He knelt by the scanner and punched some numbers into the keypad.

[Access Denied. User not found.]

“What the…JEAN! Let me in! Don’t do this!” He banged on the door until his fists began to smart throb, but she ignored him.

Inside the chamber, Jean sat at the console, pondering the events that brought her here, at this moment. She remembered lots of metal. A tank. Drifting somewhere with no sound, except for the occasional strains of a symphony that occasionally haunted her. Rachmaninoff, perhaps?

She also remembered a conversation that she had with Logan and Scott after Charles had been struck down. She’d just finished cleansing Cerebro’s module of the virus that Mystique had used to flood and poison its mainframe. Logan had been impatient and decided to ask the question that wouldn’t leave her alone:

”Have you ever…”

“Used Cerebro? No. For someone like me, it’s…”

“Dangerous,” Scott finished for her.


For someone like me… What had she been thinking? She laughed out loud at the memory. Magneto had been right; she could do anything now. She’d taken the Professor apart like a child disassembling a tower of Legos. Scott had been so simpering and afraid, completely naïve to the power she held at her fingertips. Always so controlled and careful, she mused. He’d never risk anyone’s safety, so he’d worn those stupid goggles. He’d learned to ignore the stares. He should have shown them what was behind door number one.

She eyed the gleaming chrome helmet and stroked it lovingly. “Hello, old friend. Miss me?”

Outside, Scott was leaning his forehead against the cold metal, making up his mind over his next course of action. He couldn’t delay. He searched for Jean’s mindtouch and came up empty. “Damn it, Jean, I’m coming in!” He stood back a few paces and zapped the security pad, sending sparks flying. One more piece of equipment they would have to repair by week’s end.

He nudged the doors open and barreled inside. Jean already wore the helmet, and she turned at his quick steps.

“Hello, lover.” Her green eyes were warm but calculating.

“Take that off, Jean.”

“No.” The walls began to shift and hum as the plates realigned themselves. Jean opened up the channels and began to align her mind with the energy coursing through the unit. “Don’t you have somewhere you need to be?”

“Only with you,” he insisted. “You know that. You’ve always known that.”

“Have I? I’m not who you think.”

“You’re the woman I love. You accepted my proposal. You’re wearing my ring. You read people’s minds. You’re a redhead. Yup. I have pretty good clue.”

“It’s just window dressing,” she assured him. “Outer trappings. A clever ruse. This isn’t my life. This isn’t my home. And I’m not your girl.” Her eyes suddenly went black, the irises surround by a ring of flame that rivaled a solar eclipse. “I’m the Phoenix. Reborn. But not the old-fashioned way. I was made.”

“What?” He stood incredulous and flummoxed, clenching his fists.

“I burned this out this morning. Handy little gadget.” She held out her palm, and Scott saw the tiny, charred disc of metal and circuitry. “It’s a neurotransmitter. It’s also a homing device that tracks my every step. It also functions as a surveillance tool of everywhere that I go. I was a bug. Even I wasn’t sure of it at first.” She laughed at the thought. “Stryker’s a real kick in the pants. Crafty, y’know? He lifted Hank’s plans for it when he was still living here full-time, researching somethings for the Professor. Charles always thought he would need a means of controlling my power in the worst case scenario that the psychic blocks that he placed in my mind wouldn’t be enough.”

“That’s not true…”

“Oh, yes. You just assumed that Charles wanted the best for us, didn’t you? Jean did.” Tension shot through his limbs as an icy chill ran up his spine.

“You are Jean.”

“No. Jean’s a tiny part of me. I’m like her…essence. A shadow. More of an afterthought. You know, Scott, back when Logan took her out of the game…all of that energy had to go somewhere.” She smiled, then pealed off a full-bodied laugh that made her shoulders shake. She wiped a tear from her eye. “Ta-da!” she finished with a flourish.

The sound of pounding feet striking steel resonated down the hall behind him. His lips were pursed as he met her gaze. Logan and Ororo came up behind him, panting.

“Hank’s on his way,” Logan informed him.

“Both of you, get out,” he barked.

“Nuh-uh.”

“In your dreams,” Ororo added. She nodded to Jean. “Hello, sister.”

“Don’t lie. You knew. I claim no part of you. You’re nothing to me.”

“To Jean, I was a friend. Even part of her family. *In the name of the love that we shared, stop this,” she ordered.

“In the name of the love that we shared, Ororo…I will weep over your grave.* You did over mine. Hell, you even helped send me there.”

“I didn’t want to!”

“Not my problem.” Cerebro hummed, and Jean turned her back on them without another thought.

“Is she kidding?” Logan quipped.

“No. She’s going to kill us all, just for starters,” Scott replied.

“Scooter…”

“Don’t call me Scooter.”

Images of mutants across the globe appeared before them, dancing holograms of people and flashing red lights illuminating the silvery walls of the chamber. Their voices rose in a din and echoed around them.

“Stop it, Jeannie!”

“Make me,” she flounced, glancing back over her shoulder at Logan. Logan’s claws extended themselves from their housings.

He barreled backwards, pinned to the wall and rendered completely immobile. He jerked ineffectually, enraged at his helplessness.

“Nice try. Your turn, Ororo.” Ororo’s eyes were already glowing white. She channeled her lightning through her outstretched hand, aiming for the helmet.

Jean through up a wall of telekinetic force and let the energy ricochet back to her, taking her down in a blast that made the air around them sizzle.

“ORORO!” Scott stared at the woman that he thought he loved. “How could you?”

“She abandoned me. You all did. I did what I had to do. Like I am now. No one’s going to control me again. If you take me down, I’ll take everyone else down with me.”

“Not quite,” Hank rumbled behind them. “Scott, heads up!” He tossed a slender band of flexible material at him, which he caught deftly.

“That won’t work on me,” she hissed. “Don’t think I didn’t hear you coming, Hank!”

“Pity. I wanted to surprise you,” he shrugged.

“I hate surprises,” she warned him.

“Too bad, sweetheart.” Scott threw the band aloft and propelled it at her with a blast of his eye beams. The band slapped itself into place around her forehead. She staggered back as the Cerebro helmet was knocked from its perch. She collapsed to her knees, holding her head in pain.

“What…did you…do to me?”

“Mnemonic scrambler. Tossed it together while I was writing my master’s thesis,” he mumbled. “Hurts, doesn’t it?”

Burning pain ripped through every molecule of her body. The psychic backlash made Hank, Scott and Ororo bleed from their ears and noses. Logan was barely holding it together, but he finally dropped onto the ramp after Jean released him.

“You can’t do this to me!”

“You’re giving us no choice.”

“I’m the Phoenix! You’re nothing but sinners! You’re NOTHING!” Her powers were momentarily disrupted, so she attacked them with her words.

“Jean never would have said that,” Ororo tossed back. “You’re not her. She never would have hurt us like this. She never would have walked all over the people who loved her.”

“You…didn’t love me…enough,” she sobbed. She reached out, attempting to fling Ororo back with her teke, but Ororo held fast, and the scrambled headband glowed with energy.

“I loved you with all I had,” Scott reminded her. “If that isn’t enough, nothing else ever will be. Stop this.”

“I…I won’t.”

“Then I will.” He lifted his trembling hand and released the trigger on his visor. His beams poured forth in a flood of scarlet, striking her squarely in the chest.

“AAAAAGGGGH!”

“Ororo…”

“I know what to do, brother,” she answered grimly. She added her lightning to the barrage of energy, sending all of her determination and sorrow along with it. This impostor who wore her friend’s face and threatened the children that Ororo had sworn to protect couldn’t be allowed to carry out Stryker’s bloody mission any longer. Jean was thrown back against the console, staggered beneath the onslaught of energy.

“Jeannie…” Logan whispered.

“Jean…” Hank cried, a tear slipping out, streaking through his blue fur. The plates and panels of the chamber flew about in haphazardly as Jean gave up her telekinetic control of the room. She released a final tortured cry before she lay still. Ororo retracted her lightning just as Scott replaced his visor over his eyes. They were both numb.

Hank was the first person to stumble forward. “Is she…?”

“Almost,” Scott murmured. “I can still feel her. She’s letting me. Jean’s letting me,” he emphasized. “Her thoughts are weak, but it’s her.”

“Not the Phoenix,” Ororo added needlessly. Scott nudged Hank aside as he made his way over to her crumpled form.

Her chest heaved with her last ragged breaths. “S-Scott…” she coughed roughly. “Don’t…leave me.”

“I never could, baby,” he moaned. “I couldn’t let her hurt anyone else. She was too dangerous.”

“Yes. She was. Scott? When I was lost…when Stryker had me…I knew I had to get back to you. The Phoenix…she felt everything for you that I felt. Maybe even more strongly. She was a creature of passion.”

“I know.”

“Don’t be angry with yourself. I love you, Scott.”

“I love you. Forever. I don’t want to be without you.”

“And one day, you won’t. But that time isn’t now.” She peered over his shoulder at Ororo’s hesitant approach. “Ororo?”

“Yes, sister?” Tears were rolling freely down her cheeks.

“You did what you had to do. And it was enough. Then, and now. Don’t blame yourself. Come here.” She beckoned to her, and Ororo reached for her limp, cold hand. “Love him. Love Logan like he needs to be loved. He’ll quit running once you stop pushing him away. Promise me.”

“I promise you, sister.” She lifted Jean’s hand to her quivering lips and kissed it, inhaling the scent of her skin one last time as she cradled it against her wet cheek.

When she looked up to face Logan, he was already gone.


Outside the mansion, Logan stalked his way back toward the wreckage. The bike was still in once piece. Stryker’s car was totaled. He stared over at Yuriko’s body. Not so much as a twitch, but not dead yet, either. So far, so good. Then he remembered something that Hank had briefed him on when he went back inside. The bike was satellite-linked to another vehicle in the vicinity, sending out signals to someone watching the mansion. They had thought it was Stryker. His instincts told him otherwise. He began running and made his way out through the gates. He followed the tire tracks from Stryker’s initial entry, looking for signs of another vehicle. His search brought him back another kilometer, where he noticed more tire tracks, deeper this time, that ran into the forest. He found a black van that he didn’t recognize, and smelled a familiar scent coming from it.

Jason.

He jerked open the back latch and hauled the doors open. Two security guards whipped around and found themselves staring down a face only found in their worst nightmares.

“Boo!” He made short work of them, hauling them out and knocking them out cold with adamantium-laced fists. He stared at Jason long and hard.

“There ain’t much in broad daylight that makes me scared,” he warned him. “I wouldn’t try anything if I were you, bub.” The ruined face stared back at him, and Logan sensed fear at first, then acceptance. Then his hackled went up again.

They weren’t alone. He felt the prick of a tranquilizer dart bury itself in the nape of his neck.

“Thank you, Wolverine, for leading me to my son so I can finish him off!” William crowed triumphantly. Logan staggered forward, lurching until he sprawled over Jason’s lap, nearly knocking him out of his wheelchair. He heard the young man grunt helplessly beneath his bulk, but felt no other fight from him.

Protect me. He’ll hurt me again. Logan stared up into the eyes that weren’t as empty as they had been back at Alkali. The twisted face pleaded with him. Yuriko’s gone. She can’t protect from him. Kill me, if you have to. Don’t let him have me.

“I hear ya.”

“Move away from him that abortion,” Stryker commanded.

“Yer a minister, Stryker. Ya have no right ta call yerself a shepherd of any flock, when ya treat yer own kid like this,” Logan chided him. He was dizzy but attempting to shake off the sedative.

“He was the tool of the Lord’s lesson for me. Nothing more.”

“Can’t be too careless with yer tools. Not like ya were with me.” Logan spun and whipped out his hand, impaling Stryker without hesitation. His eyes grew wide as saucers as he peered down at Logan’s fist. His heart stuttered.

“No…why? Could have…given you…your past. He’s…nothing. Mutant garbage…”

“Look who’s talking. Only garbage I see around here is you. I’m taking ya out to the curb. No way in hell yer bringing this shit to my front door again, asshole!” He twisted his fist, plowing up through this ribs. “Ya won’t hurt my kids. They’re geeks, but they’re MY geeks.” Stryker choked on his blood, uttering one last, gurgling rattle before he dropped, sliding off of Wolverine’s claws.

*Note: I cribbed a quote from the Dark Phoenix Saga. So sue me, I wish they had used it in the movie.
Epilogue by OriginalCeenote
“Love him. Love Logan like he needs to be loved. He’ll quit running once you stop pushing him away. Promise me.”

Ororo had a promise to keep.

Three weeks had passed since the paramedics took Stryker and Yuriko’s bodies off to the morgue. Jason Stryker was remanded into a surprisingly lavish care home with the stern injunction from Hank that he be allowed the largest private room in the wing, with a view of the grounds. He reconfigured and rebuilt his mnemonic scrambler, basing it loosely on the circuitry and design of Styker’s tracking device. Jason was sedated when they planted it into his neck. His face was blissfully unaware of everyone when he was eventually escorted to the new facility. Out of a strange sense of sympathy, Kitty searched the Internet for photos of Yuriko Oyama and printed them on glossy stock, framing them and sending them to the nurse’s station anonymously. Once the photos graced his room, he managed the first smile they’d seen on him since his arrival. He also responded when they brought daisies to fill the tiny vase on his nightstand.

Jean’s body was cremated discreetly after the children were sent home early for their winter break. Scott took her engagement ring and had it locked up in the safe in Charles’ office. Photos of her still graced the walls of their suite, including a more recent drawing that Peter had sketched shortly after her return. It held the place of honor over the bed. Scott had it framed and kept it out of the sunlight so it wouldn’t fade with age.

With the first snow, Ororo finished putting her favorite plants down for a well-deserved rest, protecting tender tomato plants and her herbs with plastic tarp in the greenhouse. She planted new saplings just off the memorial garden, sending the Goddess a prayer that they would flourish and stand sentry over the remains of those they’d loved and lost.

Logan had been making himself scarce. Sometimes she felt his eyes on her when she was working in her office or teaching a class, but whenever she turned to face his gaze, he was gone.

Hank proved to be the biggest blessing, offering comfort and the occasional snifter of cognac after hours in the kitchen. He was always good for a hug, a rant, or to offer her a swift kick in the rear when she grew too melancholy.

“She said not to blame yourself.”

“I know.”

“So don’t.”

“I can’t help it.”

“Don’t make me get Logan in here.”

“Feel free to try. If you can find him.”

“He mentioned something about taking a spin to the movie store. Wanted to rent ‘something else than the pansy-assed chick flicks’ that the kids have been bringing home lately.”

“You’re good at doing the voice,” she remarked.

“It’s my mission in life.”

“He should have bullied Scott to go with him.” He’d been holing up in his room again, and it worried her.

“He did. They left an hour ago.” He chuckled at her look of indignant surprise.

“I’m always the last to know.”

“You didn’t ask,” he mock-whined, pouring her another finger of cognac.

Some of the older students stayed behind, having nowhere else to go. Sam remained behind with Dani, even though she insisted that his mother would miss him terribly.

“Jay brought home his girlfriend for the holiday. Gets a mite crowded. Next time, maybe ya’d like t’come home with me? Hills sure are pretty at sun-up.”

“I bet,” she murmured, smiling at him as they trimmed the tree in the den. Out of a strange sense of manic holiday spirit, Logan and Scott had strung up acres of Christmas lights around the mansion, putting Clark Griswold’s house in “Christmas Vacation” to shame. Logan had even insisted on a tacky flock of light-up gnomes, reindeer, and an inflatable Abominable Snowman out on the front lawn. Ororo had laughed so hard it hurt when she surveyed their handiwork.

The children were still shaken, but they were recovering. They were still waiting for the nightmares to come back. Dani felt paranoid and unsettled about her powers flying out of control again. She also dreaded the psychic trauma left over from Jason’s attack while she and Sam were holed up in the infirmary. Hank found them and brought them out of it, but she screamed herself hoarse once she woke up. Sam just lay there beside her, tears filling his eyes as he reached for her hand. Lately they were inseparable.

The whole student body had felt the strike against their consciousness when Jason brought his nightmares into the Danger Room with them. Peter at first thought someone was manipulating the Danger Room routines from the outside. Everyone’s respective powers were in flux. Jimmy was locked inside with them, and everyone in closest proximity to him was drained, their abilities nullified and useless as they suffered from their worst fears made real. The Stepford triplets had saved the day, blocking the psychic signals they picked up more effectively after Sage jumpstarted them, amplifying their powers when they linked hands. Peter hated the sense of helplessness he’d felt, but the students reminded him that there wasn’t much that he could do, anyway. The real danger had been outside.

Bobby, Marie, Jubilee, Dani, Sam, Warren and Sage finished trimming the tree. Sam held the ladder and Dani steady as she thrust the fiberoptic angel on top, straightening it before she barked “Turn it on, Jubes!” Jubilee flicked the switch, and everyone ooh’ed and aaah’ed their approval as the strands of multicolored lights slowly shifted on the staggered time setting instead of the annoying blink that no one wanted. The crackle of the fire in the hearth threw a cheerful glow over the room.

“Beautiful,” Ororo sighed. She set down the tray of non-alcoholic egg nog and festive glass goblets and headed back to the kitchen for the sugar cookies. She heard whoops of delight over the offerings behind her that made her smile. She sighed in the empty kitchen, hating how bereft she felt. She wanted Logan here to share the holiday with, but he was determined to evade her, and the talk they’d been sidestepping, at all costs.

She missed his grudging laughter. That funny little cock of his eyebrow. That gleam he got in his eye when he was about to get the drop on her, verbally or physically. And those lips. Goddess, those lips…There she went again. Aroused, flustered, and alone. Great.

Logan and Scott finally arrived a half an hour later, windblown, chapped, rosy-cheeked and busting a gut from their ride back. Once Hank had disabled the tracking devices on the bike from Oyama Heavy Industries, it had joined the stable of cherished motorcycles out in the garage and it became Scott’s new baby. He’d decided to stay, which Ororo never expected, but she breathed a sigh of relief when he’d visited her office to let her know:

“So you’re not leaving us?” she breathed in relief.

“I’m a mutant. I’m a teacher. ‘Nuff said,” he quipped after watching her fold her arms over her chest. “I told the Professor once that if anything happened, I’d take care of everyone to the best extent that I could. That hasn’t changed.”

“You’re sure?”

“Damn skippy. I belong here. Nowhere else feels like home. All of my best memories are in this house.”

“So are some of the worst.”

“Didn’t drive you away,” he reminded her.

“Goddess, I know. Don’t think I didn’t come close on more than one occasion. We’re glad to have you, Scott. Very grateful. I love you. I’m glad you’ve decided to stay, brother.”

“Love you too, ‘Ro. Even if I left, something would inevitably pull me back. Might be what keeps Logan coming back here. Or, it might just be you?” Ororo choked on a gulp of coffee and scalded her tongue. Scott snickered at her spit-take and handed her a tissue to wipe her chin.

“What are you trying to say, Summers?” She held her hand against her lower lip, sucking cool air into her mouth to soothe her tongue, which now felt like sandpaper.

“You know good and well what I’m saying. Logan’s head-over-heels in love with you. You love him, too. Both of you need to stop tap-dancing around the elephant in the room and just go for it.”

“We already tried that.”

“And?”

“I seem to have developed a case of cooties. He won’t come near me.”

“Cooties?”

“For lack of a better word. He’s been steering clear.”

“Could’ve fooled me. You’re all he ever talks about. ‘Ororo took this great spill during our workout today, ya shoulda seen the look on her face, Summers!’ Or, ‘Ororo makes one mean omelet.’ Or ‘Didja see what she had on today when she went out with Kitty?’ It’s sickening.” He grinned at her when she stuck her tongue out at him. Inside she felt warm and fuzzy. He’d been talking about her.

“Pot calling the kettle, Scott. Jean used to carry on that way about you. My ear was the one she would bend the most often.”

“She did, huh?”

“Yup. She told me stories that would curl my hair.” She felt better when her words didn’t bring that hurt looking slump of his shoulders. He sighed, then smiled.

“Smells like blackmail.”

“Nope. That’s just the cookies. Get one on your way downstairs. Marie made them.”

“Talk to him, Ororo.”

“I’m not chasing him around the house until I pin him down,” she insisted.

“Quit being so proud. Men like groveling. Logan would love some.” She pondered his words carefully.

“I wouldn’t mind a little myself.”

“So damned stubborn. It’s all anyone watching you two can do to not knock your heads together.”

“We can butt heads just fine by ourselves, thank you very much.”

“Ororo?”

“Hmm?”

“I’m sorry about what happened in Cerebro.” She heard the resignation and a hint of grief in his voice. “I shouldn’t have drawn you into…”

“Don’t apologize. Never apologize. Back at Alkali, Scott, I wanted so much to save her. Having to pilot that plane was the only thing that kept me in that cockpit. Watching her go down nearly killed me. The moment Logan and I found her back at the lake after we lost you, Scott, I was so bloody hopeful. I had my sister back! All that was left was to find you, and I’d have my family, right back here where you belonged.” Scott approached the desk and sat on the edge, leaning toward her as she continued. “You weren’t supposed to be dead. It was as if someone had opened up a window in a dark room to let in some light, only to slam it shut again. I knew what we had to do, back in Cerebro,” she admitted. “That didn’t mean I wanted to do it.”

“I know,” he said softly. “I knew I had to make a choice. That wasn’t Jean, at least not the one we knew.”

“She wanted to be,” Ororo murmured.

“Yeah.” He stared down at his hands in his lap. “I would have died all over again if she could have been, in a second. There was one thought on my mind when she looked at me, and when I realized that she wouldn’t back down from trying to kill us all. The kids. You, Logan and Hank.” She waited with baited breath.

“Tell me.”

“I couldn’t let Logan shoulder it all over again. Having to deal the blow. He’s seen too much, lived through too much. He loved Jean.”

“Scott…”

“He was in love with her. I said it out loud. Drove me crazy the way he used to chase her, but there you have it. I know it broke him when he had to take her down at Alcatraz. No one deserves to carry that kind of burden twice.”

“Only blood should take blood,” Ororo agreed, repeating her thoughts from that day.

“I couldn’t save her before. That’s why I wanted to finish it.” He turned to her, ruby quartz goggles gleaming as they caught the lamplight. “Don’t keep Logan in suspense. Talk to him. He deserves having you be straight with him.”

“You won’t let this go until I give in, will you?”

“Nope.

“Good night, Scott.” She waved her hand in a shooing dismissal.

“G’night, Ororo.” He held up his hands in defeat before taking his leave.

That brought her here to the kitchen, alone with her thoughts again. She heard Logan’s resonant baritone in the den, doling out compliments to the kids for the gorgeous job they did on the tree. Then the speakers on the TV were turned up as they popped in the DVD. It sounded like an action movie. She steeled herself before she made her way back with the cookies.

“YAY! COOKIES!” Jubilee grinned, relieving Ororo’s platter of one and taking a hearty bite. She grabbed two more and plopped herself down, handing Warren one before she snuggled up against him. He grinned and nuzzled her ear, reminding Ororo of a mother bird and its chick. She felt a similar pang when she noticed Dani and Sam taking up their customary places on the floor, elbowing each other and stealing the occasional kiss as they watched the previews. Bobby and Marie settled for holding hands on the couch, since Jimmy had gone home to visit relatives for the holiday. Bobby had looked longingly at the mistletoe, and Marie smiled at him, saying “It’s the thought that counts, shoog.”

“Come and watch the movie with us, Miss Munroe,” Marie beckoned, patting the narrow remainder of space on the sofa.

“No, no. Go ahead, enjoy yourselves. Who wants popcorn?” she offered. She was answered by a hail of “Me! Me!” on her way out. She brushed past Logan without meeting his eyes. She felt his stare at her back, and felt that little frisson of heat run up her arms. It was getting harder to not speak to him. She just couldn’t find the right thing to say. She made two bags of popcorn and loaded them into festive green plastic bowl with holly sprigs painted on it and deposited it on the settee. A chorus of goodnights followed her out of the den. Logan was nowhere to be found.

Ororo went back to her study and called Kurt long-distance in Germany, racking up an expensive phone bill for the month with one chat, but she was grateful to hear his voice. She heard nothing but sympathy in his voice when she related how Stryker had died. He told her that he was relieved that she no longer felt such hate and fear of him anymore. His words warmed her, but when she hung up, she felt empty again.

Ororo walked outside and strolled into the memorial garden. She adjusted the Christmas wreath that she had hung on the pillar beside the cenotaphs, tweaking its red velvet ribbon into place. She knelt by Charles’ headstone and spoke.

“I’m confused, Charles. I think I’ve fallen in love. It’s Logan.” She imagined she heard his startled chuckle. “Yes, I know! Logan, of all people! Who’d have thought it?” She paused to wipe away a soft layer of snow that settled over the headstone. “He’s amazing, Charles. He’s everything I never knew I wanted, but can’t dream of living without. How’s that for a complete turnaround? I couldn’t stand him when we first met. That feeling seemed mutual. Look at us now!” She pictured the Professor’s soft, intelligent blue eyes watching her thoughtfully, wishing she were sitting beside him now with cups of tea and a plate of scones.

“I don’t know how he feels about me, Charles. Scott says he cares about me. I don’t think he’s really cared about anyone that way since Jean left us.” Dimly she remembered him telling Yuriko “Stay away from my girl!” It was in the heat of the moment. That didn’t count…did it?

Was she his girl?

“Come on Charles, quit being so quiet! Tell me what to do!”

A tiny voice inside her insisted You already know what to do. Just do it.

“I love him. Goddess, I love him. So what in heaven’s name do I do now?” She kissed the tips of her fingers and brushed them against the polished marble, dusting herself off as she got up.

She went inside her room to try to read her favorite Lolita Files novel, but couldn’t focus after the third chapter. She turned on her CDs while she cleaned her room from top to bottom, but that didn’t help. She was standing in the middle of her now spotless room with her mind buzzing miles per minute. Even the knick knacks gleamed. Her eyes landed on a pack of Christmas cards.

Perfect. Tedious, necessary, and time-consuming. She grabbed the box, her address book, and her best Razor pen and started downstairs.

She peeked around the corner. Sam was helping a drowsy Dani to her feet. Jubilee and Warren had already retired for the night after getting in one more peck under the mistletoe. Marie and Bobby were cleaning up the cookies and mess from the popcorn and egg nog.

“The DVD is still in the player if ya wanted t’watch it, Miss Munroe,” Marie offered.

“I was going to make out some cards in front of the fire.”

“That sounds nice,” she agreed. “G’night, Miss Munroe!” A few more greetings later, and she was alone again. She laid down on the floor on a blanket that Sam had spread there earlier and propped herself on an overstuffed pillow. She stared up at the tree from his vantage point, watching the shadows thrown against the walls from the firelight. It was surreal and peaceful. The filaments of the Christmas angel topper slowly changed colors, from red to green to white, then back again. This was a moment that was supposed to be shared with someone special, she groused. She flipped herself over and lay on her side, determined to work on her cards.

She got through ten before she fell asleep, lulled by the flames in the fireplace and rotating colors of the lights. Her thoughts were still full of Logan and his kisses, and the feel of woodchips and loam beneath her back on that stolen afternoon in the greenhouse. It felt like a dream when someone reached out and gently stroked her cheek with the back of their knuckles.

“Ororo?”

“Mmmmmmm.”

“Ro?”

“Mmph. Sleepy. Go ‘way.”

“Ya can’t be comfortable like that,” the voice reasoned. It sounded deep and deliciously grumbly. Tender. Close. She shifted herself, trying to regain purchase on the floor. Her arm nudged the small pile of cards out of their neat stack, fanning them out across the blanket.

“Yer gonna make this difficult, arentcha?” Logan smiled at the picture she made. She was sprawled out like a cat, her arm tucked up under her cheek. Her long, dark lashes fluttered as she moaned in her sleep, and errant locks of hair fell over her forehead. He brushed them back gently, revealing her smooth skin and sleep-puffed lips. She was so beautiful and vulnerable, and his stomach warmed itself seeing her guard down like this. Her chest rose and fell, and he noticed that she was wearing a short-sleeved, blue silk pajama top with nothing on underneath. His fingers itched to caress her and roam her soft flesh. The problem was, he wanted her to be awake, and hopefully able to enjoy it. She smacked her lips as he moved her hand off of the cards and lifted them to safety, depositing them on the coffee table.

“Tired. Don’t wanna watch a movie,” she moaned.

“Don’t have to,” he agreed. “Ya need ta get up ta bed, darlin’.”

“Don’t want to. Lonely up there,” she complained.

“Never stopped ya before.” He made his tone as reasonable as he could, but his ears pricked with curiosity as he considered the meaning of her words. Lonely?

“Not the same,” she sighed.

“What’s not the same?” He leaned in closer, settling himself next to her and continuing to stroke her hair. It was silky and smelled freshly shampooed.

“Want…Logan. Want him next t’me,” she sighed.

“Ya do, huh?”

“Mm-hmm,” she murmured. “Nice when he’s next to me. Feels good.”

“Ever tell him that?”

“Uh-uh. Can’t. Don’t want…to scare him off.” Her brows furrowed in a telling way that made him want to kiss the expression away.

“Maybe ya won’t.” He was frowning thoughtfully now. She’d said a lot, even if she didn’t mean to. He lay on his side and slowly, gently eased her up against him, wrapping an arm around her narrow waist. She arched against him, lightly clutching his arm and locking it in place. Her hair tickled his lips, and he moved them over her scalp, breathing in her scent. Her skin felt hot and irresistibly smooth beneath the sheath of satin. He flattened his palm against her flat belly and stroked it. She moaned again, this time in contentment. “Why are ya worried about scaring him?”

“He always leaves. Always leaves us behind. Always leaves ME behind.”

“Maybe the guy’s tired of walking out. Maybe he wants to stick around.”

“He’s not the sticking around type.” She wriggled in his arms. Her voice still sounded drowsy, but his body was reacting to having her so close. He felt himself harden against her sweet rump.

“He could be.” He let his free hand uncover her neck, sweeping aside her hair so he could nuzzle it with his lips. She tasted like all of his favorite things as he parted his lips and gently suckled her skin. She jerked for a moment against him before groaning her approval. “Maybe he wants t’be the good guy, fer a change. Baby, wake up. Please?”

“Mmmph…Logan. LOGAN???” She twisted herself around in his arms, and she flung her arm up haphazardly, bopping him upside the nose.

“OWW!”

“Ooooh, Logan…I’m SO sorry.”

“Didn’t tickle.”

“It didn’t. I know. I’m sorry,” she repeated, lightly stroking the hand he was using to prod his nose. She pulled it away and took a peek. It looked fine, but he was fixing her with a tiny scowl. “What’s wrong?”

“Why aren’t ya speakin’ t’me?”

“Why aren’t you speaking to ME?”

“Can’t corner ya long enough ta get a word in edgewise,” he admitted. “What’s yer excuse?”

“I…I don’t know what to say to you.”

“You were doin’ a pretty good job a minute ago.”

“Goddess…what did I say, Logan?” Her eyes brooked no hedging or omissions. His twinkled back at her.

“Something about liking it when I’m next t’ya. I liked that part. There was another little thing about bein’ lonely and not wanting ta be in yer own bed. Not alone, anyway. Sumthin’ like that. People say the funniest things when they’re baggin’ zees,” he mused. His arm tightened around her possessively as he shifted her against him more comfortably. She was already warm from the heat of the fire against her back, but Logan was like a furnace. His black cotton sweater’s texture felt decadent as she ran her hand down his chest, roaming over his taut muscles.

“You should have just woke me,” she accused.

“Ya woulda just run off,” he pointed out. “Or made an excuse why ya had ta be elsewhere. It’s gettin’ harder ta let ya run off.”

“Really?”

“Yup. I’ve gotten used ta bein’ with ya. Yer voice. Yer laugh. The way ya smell. That funny little look that yer giving me right now like ya think I’m off my rocker…yeah, that one. That’s the look.” He grinned at her before he leaned forward and kissed the lines between her brows. The touch of his lips made her shiver.

“Logan…”

“And the way ya say my name. Like it’s something sacred. Secret. For me alone. I love the way ya say it. C’mon. Humor me. Say it again.”

“Logan,” she repeated, quirking up the corner of her mouth. His lips landed on her forehead again.

“Again.”

“Logan.” Feather-soft kisses trailed down the slope of her pert nose. His breath steamed her skin. Her nipples pebbled against him beneath the silk.

“Again, darlin’.”

“Logan.” Her hand drifted up to stroke his jaw. He turned his face into her touch and nipped her fingers, drawing one into his mouth. He smelled the change in her body chemistry; she was aroused and hot. And definitely awake.

“Again, Ororo.”

“Logan…” Her eyes searched his face. “Please.” He nodded, then lifted her chin, settling his mouth on hers with so much tenderness that she almost melted into a puddle. He dragged her flush against him so that they touched from lips to toes and kissed her thoroughly, drinking her sighs and sweetness, murmuring against her as she caressed him. Her fingers raked through his unruly waves of hair. She tasted a faint hint of rum and nutmeg, telling her that he had spiked a cup of the egg nog that she left out for the children. ‘Tis the season, she decided. His hand flattened against the small of her back. His kisses turned hungry and urgent as he rolled her onto her back and covered her with his body.

“I don’t wanna be lonely anymore, either. I need you. Yer all I think about.”

“I can’t sleep at night. I don’t want to play this game. It hurts too much.”

“I never wanted ta hurt ya, darlin’.” He stroked her hair, whispering kisses over the crowns of her cheeks. “Ya gotta believe that. Open mouth, insert foot. No matter what I tried ta say, it was always the wrong thing at the wrong moment. That night back in Scooter’s room, Jeannie said something that I never got ta explain.”

“She said you could be the good guy,” she nodded, reading his mind.

“Yup. I told her that back at Alkali, back when the Blackbird was grounded. I bit the bullet and shoved that one out there, like I had a chance. Should’ve known better,” he admitted. “She didn’t buy it.”

“She was flattered that you tried. She told me about that kiss.” It was Logan’s turn to stare at her in disbelief.

“Why the hell did ya leave me hanging, then, making me worry about how much ya knew? I lost sleep, woman!”

“Good. At least I wasn’t alone in that.”

“Just alone in bed,” he pointed out.

“And hating it.”

“Hmmph.”

“And jealous. Don’t forget green with envy.”

“Yeah?” He shot her a lopsided grin.

“Burning with it. That was supposed to be my kiss.”

“Is that so?”

“I’m calling dibs.”

“Dibs, huh?”

“I could just lick you like you were the last piece of candy so no one else would want you,” she grinned back.

“Man, I used ta hate when anyone did that!” His chest shook with laughter, jarring her and making her tingle beneath him. “But that licking thing has possibilities.”

“Oh?”

“Hell, yeah!” He feinted, hovering over one corner of her mouth, then the other, before hitting his original target at the pulse in her neck. He nibbled it seductively for a few mind-melting seconds, making Ororo squirm and moan beneath him. Then his tongue swirled over her flesh, and she was lost. They lolled in front of the fireplace, rumpling the blanket and exploring each other’s taste.

“Logan,” she began once they came up for air.

“Yeah, darlin’?”

“I knew you could be the good guy. I never doubted it. I just wanted you to be that good guy for me.” She fixed those velvety brown eyes on him again. “We’re past ‘I think I’m in love with you.’ I know I’m in love with you.”

“Damn,” he muttered. “There ya go,” he rambled, shaking his head. “One-upping me again.”

“Come again?”

“Ya beat me to the punch. Always tryin’ ta outdo me, Munroe. What is it about you?” Her eyes scanned his face for any hint of foul play and found none. His voice grew serious. “I love you, too. Yer drivin’ me nuts, and that’s sayin’ something, I was already round the bend before! Ya just had ta push me that extra inch, didn’t ya?”

“You poor man,” she soothed, tugging him close to kiss those tempting lips, lingering there a while.

“Ya don’t sound sorry.”

“I’m too happy right now.” Her voice was full of feeling. “Can we go upstairs now?”

His hazel eyes darkened with need, and all he gave her was a brief flare of his nostrils before he sprang back, grasping her hands and pulling her up from the floor in one smooth sweep. He scooped her up and locked her legs around his waist, cupping her bottom as he swallowed her giggles before they could travel out of the den. On their way upstairs, they made use of every sprig of mistletoe with the rationale that the kids had gone out of their way to hang it up there…all two dozen boughs. It took a while to reach Ororo’s attic.

By the time they reached her stairs, there was already a trail of clothes behind them, and they were panting with need when they finally hit the mattress. The room resounded with a hail of “I love you’s” and chants of each other’s names, and cries that they fought to muffle in the center of night. They failed miserably, and Ororo finally threw an atmospheric air buffer around the doorway to lock out the sounds. Everything that they’d kept to themselves was shared. Every feeling, fully explored.

The man without a home and the woman who’d lost her family finally found what they were looking for, and heaven help any who tried to stand in their way. They feel asleep in each other’s arms, spent. They woke at dawn, bathed in the sunrise, and reassured each other that it wasn’t a dream.

“Love you, ‘Ro.”

“I love you, Logan.”

A few hours later, Scott rose first to start breakfast. He placed a package of frozen cinnamon rolls in the sink to thaw and mixed a pitcher of orange juice. Not wanting to make too much of a clatter in the kitchen, he retreated to the billiard room.

The morning sunlight turned the green felt of the pool table an immaculate emerald, beckoning to him to play. He racked up the balls and reached for the cue…

…then replaced it on the rack.

Scott removed his glasses and aimed for the cue ball, striking it with precision. It was a clean break, sinking four balls at once. He lowered the glasses as he contemplated his next shot.

Then he removed his glasses and stared hard at the table, deciding whether to sink stripes first or solids. Nothing happened. Nothing at all.

“Stripes, then,” he muttered aloud. Somewhere deep in his soul, he imagined Jean smiling in agreement.

Stripes it is, then.
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=1906