Tell Me by Gaineewop
Summary: What starts out as comfort becomes more for Ororo and Logan. Meanwhile, the mutant vs. human debate heats up again, endangering the lives of the X-Men and their students.
Categories: NC-17 Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Adult language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 92908 Read: 96295 Published: 12-23-06 Updated: 06-20-07

1. Chapter One: Escape by Gaineewop

2. Chapter Two: Progress by Gaineewop

3. Chapter Three: Hollow Loss by Gaineewop

4. Chapter Four: Regret by Gaineewop

5. Chapter Five: Broken by Gaineewop

6. Chapter Six: Messenger by Gaineewop

7. Chapter Seven: Cross the Line by Gaineewop

8. Chapter Eight: Brand New Man by Gaineewop

9. Chapter Nine: Mixed Blessings by Gaineewop

10. Chapter Ten: Crash by Gaineewop

11. Chapter Eleven: Innocence Lost by Gaineewop

12. Chapter Twelve: Fear by Gaineewop

13. Chapter Thirteen: Baby Bump by Gaineewop

14. Chapter Fourteen: Still by Gaineewop

15. Chapter Fifteen: Seized by Gaineewop

16. Chapter Sixteen: Choosing Sides by Gaineewop

17. Chapter Seventeen: The Visit by Gaineewop

18. Chapter Eighteen: Vanished by Gaineewop

19. Chapter Nineteen: Stryker by Gaineewop

20. Chapter Twenty: Ororo by Gaineewop

21. Chapter Twenty-One: A Child's Fate by Gaineewop

22. Chapter Twenty-Two: Trish by Gaineewop

Chapter One: Escape by Gaineewop


Chapter One: Escape

I can feel your heart beating
I can hear you breathing
Look into your eyes, tryna see into your mind
See into your soul
No limits to the levels me and you can go
When it's me that’s in control
But it's something bout you that makes me wanna change
I like the way you dancin, and the way you play the game
I like the way you take away the pain
~Diddy & Christina Aguilera



Black clouds swirled over the mansion, twisting and rolling until they formed an undeniable center. Around the eye, the storm raged silently in the heavens above. Lightning slashed through the thick darkness, soft rumblings of thunder answering the primal call.

He watched the gathering storm with a sort of detached calm. It wasn’t exactly natural, but he couldn’t worry about that right now. The lone mutant who controlled the bitter winds and impossibly thick clouds was somewhere on the grounds, probably pissed off at someone.

She was a lot of fun when she was pissed off.

Before he left, he’d stop to say goodbye to her. They hadn’t exactly become the best of friends or anything, but he felt she deserved to see him take off. If he knew her as well as he thought he did, she was expecting it. That was one thing he liked about her, it took a lot to really shock her.

With a grinding sound that seemed far too loud for his sensitive ears, Logan closed his duffel bag and turned to glance around the room. It wasn’t lavish by any stretch of the imagination. Still, for the last few weeks, it had started to feel like home. He’d even caught himself sticking photographs on the mirror.

Remembering the pictures, he reached over to grab the snapshots quickly. One was of Rogue and Bobby, laughing together on the lawn. Since the death of Xavier, the children seldom laughed anymore. Maybe that’s why he felt the need to put it up where he could always see it. Rogue looked so beautiful and that Iceman kid wasn’t so bad, after all.

The other photograph was puzzling.

Kitty Pryde had snapped it several weeks ago. Logan was standing on the back porch, leaning against the railing with a cigar in his mouth. Storm, in all her African glory, stood beside him. Her arms were woven across her chest and she was in the middle of rolling her eyes at him. He’d been professing undying love at that particular moment, which always made her smile. Somewhere in the last year, he realized it didn’t take much to make her smile, so he baited her into it often.

He liked that picture, though he couldn’t say why. Ororo Munroe was a rock. Logan liked to think of her as Xavier’s true heir. She had the same vision, the same tenacity and strong will. Like her mentor, she would be a constant here at the school.

Deciding he’d spent enough time delaying the inevitable, Logan threw his duffel over his shoulder before tucking his photos into his wallet. It was late by now, many of the students either in bed or downstairs until curfew. The teachers would make rounds soon enough, Ororo would do her own bed check. She always had to ensure the children were safe personally. He wondered where that impulse of hers came from.

He’d said goodbye to Rogue and the other younger X-Men already. Hank he’d talked to on the phone just yesterday, promised to keep in touch. Other teachers weren’t really his concern, though he did like that English telepath, Psylocke, quite a bit.

However, when he went looking for Storm, the last on his goodbye list, she wasn’t in her office. He checked her bedroom, the kitchen, even the garage only to come up empty handed. None of the students had seen her in several hours and that news made Logan’s heart rate jump a little.

It was no surprise that he and Storm were rather protective of one another now. They shared the terrible memory of Xavier’s death. He remembered how she’d held him as they stared at that empty chair in the wake of battle. The only reason he had even stayed at the mansion this long was some strange need to ensure she would be all right without him.

After depositing his duffel bag on the foyer floor, Logan decided to try one last room in hopes of finding Storm. Sometimes, in the first weeks after his death, he would find Storm wandering around Xavier’s bedroom.

Taking the stairs two at a time, he narrowly avoided colliding with Artie. Chuck’s bedroom, still unused as per Storm’s request, was at the other end of the teacher’s hallway. Ororo used the bedroom directly across from it with Logan midway down the hall.

The door was always left unlocked, so he stepped inside easily. The scent of the room and its departed occupant was fading now. Old leather, new ink, and something like spice had always greeted him when Charles was alive. Now, the room felt empty and cold without it.

Nothing had changed, not in the last thirteen months. Ororo refused to touch anything, except to dust it all off. Logan moved through the room quietly, almost reverently. The man that once slept here was the first to ever show the Wolverine kindness. That mutant changed his life forever. No matter where he went or what he did, there would always be a light left on for him at the school.

Rain. Logan blinked, glancing to the wide French doors that led onto Chuck’s private terrace. Fat, heavy raindrops pelted the windows and concrete outside. He could hear something off about the way it struck the glass, as though the rain was somehow sharp. Logan glanced to the windows on the opposite end of the room, not surprised to see it was warm and sunny.

He’d found Storm.

On silent feet, he drifted toward the doors. Many nights he’d found her out there, having a cup of coffee while looking up at the stars. She’d told him that she came here to talk to Charles, that it made her feel somehow less alone. Logan didn’t know if he believed the old man could hear her, but if it helped her sleep through the night, he was all for it.

When he reached the heavy wood doors, he grasped the brass of the handle and quickly pulled his hand back. His flesh was red, almost burned from the freezing metal. Something was very wrong here.

Logan grit his teeth, grunted through the pain, and opened the doors fully. As the glass and wood slammed open, a gust of artic cold slammed into the room. It stole Logan’s breath away, made his arms seem instantly numb.

Though just several feet from the balcony the skies were clear and the temperature warm for a spring afternoon, the small space attached to the mansion was like the North Pole. Rain fell like shards of ice, freezing in midair. Winds swirled around him, cutting through his clothing as though he were completely naked.

Shuddering from the sudden drop in temperature, Logan glanced toward the sky. The swirl of clouds reminded him of a hurricane, though the placement was more like a tornado. Such primal ferocity was in that enormous storm that it momentarily knocked Wolverine stupid. Terrifyingly powerful, beautiful in a way that defied logic, awesome as the hand of God, Ororo’s storm was something out of Biblical stories.

When he managed to turn his eyes from the dark clouds above, he found her. On one of the chairs Charles had kept out here for visitors sat the headmistress of Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters, but not as he’d ever seen her before.

In a flash, Logan realized two things. One: Storm was coming unglued. Two: He depended on her to not come unglued.

Ororo suddenly reminded him of his adamantium. He depended on both to never break, never shatter, to be there as his constant backup. Panic tore through him at the expression of utter hopelessness on her beautiful face.

She sat primly, legs crossed at the ankles, hands gripping the armrests of her chair, back ramrod straight. Her dark blue pantsuit was drenched with rain, her hair stiff from freezing in the frigid air. Logan moved to her slowly, his hands trembling from the cold. He wondered, in the back of his mind, if anyone had ever seen her this way.

As he reached her, he could see the hollowness in her dark eyes. It terrified him. One thing she was not and never would be was hollow. There was life in this woman. He had the undeniable need to reach into her and prove it.

He watched as a solitary raindrop slipped down the smooth curve of her cheek and off the edge of her sculpted chin. It froze in midair, then crashed to the ice-slick concrete. He no longer felt the cold or the rain seeping through thin layers of his clothing.

“Storm?”

She blinked, but showed no other sign of life.

“’Ro.”

Her lovely face turned to him. “Go away, Logan.”

That honeyed voice echoed with loss. It twisted the remains of Logan’s heart. He crouched in front of her, taking freezing hands in his. Instinctively, he warmed them by running his thumbs across icy palms.

“This is how you deal with it?” His question was soft, his eyes meeting hers.

“I cannot keep it up,” she admitted with tears in her voice. “I cannot be what Charles was. My family is dead. I am alone again.”

“You’re not alone,” he said immediately and fiercely. “I’m here.”

“You’ve never been here, Wolverine.” She sighed, turning her eyes to her storm. “It is your nature. You are a solitary creature.”

“’Ro,” he tried again.

“Leave.” The word was not angry or resentful, but wistful. “Find yourself.”

“I ain’t leavin’ ya like this,” he said somewhat harshly, his hands gripping hers more tightly.

Tears slid down her cheeks now, turning to ice on her frozen flesh. “I’m cold. I’m so cold, Logan.”

He could not bear this. Ororo was his rock, the unchangeable X-Woman that could carry the whole world on her back and still look like she stepped out of a magazine. With her slipping away, his entire universe tilted. He wanted only to reach for her hand, to bring her back.

“I’ll warm you up,” he insisted. “Come inside.”

“No,” she whimpered. “I cannot go back. There are demands on me, questions that I have no answers for.”

And in that moment, he understood.

“When’s the last time you were just human, ‘Ro?” He questioned quietly. “You can’t just be an X-Man, a teacher, and a mutant. You’re human, darlin’.”

She laughed, the sound as icy as the air around them. “I do not even recall what it means to be human.”

Logan watched her silently for a moment. He had to remind her, to show her that there was a reason to be human. Someone as buttoned up as ‘Ro was all the time couldn’t go too long without a meltdown. He figured this was the culmination of it. Someone had to step in and tell her that life was all around her.

So, without a thought as to the consequences, Logan did the only thing he could think of. He reached up, wrapping one of his hands around the nape of her neck. She tilted her head toward him a beat before their lips met.

Fire instantly replaced the cold. Logan felt her burning him from the inside out as she leaned up from the chair, desperate for contact. His arms slid around her, heedless to the wet clothing as he drew her closer. When she was flush against his chest, her breasts pressing into him, he parted his lips and ruthlessly took her mouth.

She made a noise that sounded like a moan in the back of her throat. Logan felt her entire body flex, as though she wanted to get closer. He’d never thought that so much passion could erupt so quickly. His heart thundered in his ears, blood pounded through his veins in a roaring rush. She was burning him, slowly and deeply until his senses were saturated by her.

Before he could stop the avalanche of desire, Ororo was pushing him down. He fell onto his back on the icy concrete. Her slender, warming body draped over his, her clothing soaking his more quickly than the rain had.

Her winds screamed, the rain and hail pelted the building surrounding them. Instinct made him cradle her head in his hands, without breaking contact from the sweetness of her mouth. He rolled them over, gladly taking several hailstones in the back to protect her.

With her arms around his neck, Logan nudged her thighs apart, easily settling between them in a frantic need to get closer. She tasted of rain and coffee and something smoky he couldn’t quite name. Her body was pliable and willing beneath his, begging to be used until she screamed for mercy. Her soul was bare to him in every touch of her hands, every sweep of her tongue. That terrifying vulnerability drew him in; made him want to rescue her in a way that he’d never felt before.

No words were necessary. As though by some unspoken vow, they simply suspended all thought and conscience. In this moment, there was only sensation, only this unbearable want for contact.

Ororo slid beneath him, her sopping body pulling him with her. Through the French doors they scooted, into the warm bedroom of their deceased mentor. She tugged at his shirt, obviously not caring that they were soaking the deep brown carpeting beneath them.

Logan leaned up on his knees, tearing the offending material from his chest. Ororo was smiling “ full on grinning “ at him in a way he had never seen before. Open and vulnerable as she seemed, she still bore that unmistakable sensuality. She begged to be taken.

On a groan, Logan leaned down to her again, wrapping her in a kiss that made his toes curl. His hands came up from her hips, smoothing over her clothing until he reached the buttons of her midnight blouse. With one massive tug, he ripped the material apart, sending buttons flying all over the room.

“Patience is a virtue,” she whimpered as he palmed two exquisite, silk-covered breasts.

“Not right now it isn’t.”

Her husky chuckle sent delicious shivers down Logan’s spine. He leaned down to her, letting his tongue collect several droplets of rain from her cocoa flesh. Her taste was almost more overpowering than her scent.

As though something snapped between them. Ororo yanked the button of his jeans apart, both of her impossibly hot hands sliding beneath the material to stroke his heated flesh. He groaned, nipping playfully at her neck while his hands slid up those mile-long legs.

Her skirt flew somewhere over his shoulder. Followed by her bra and panties. He didn’t care where they landed, so long as her body was blissfully bare beneath him. She worked his jeans down until he could shimmy out of them. They came together again in a clash of soaking flesh and lustful moans.

Her hands seemed to be everywhere and wherever she touched begged for more. She was drawing him in further and further with every breath. With her fantastic hands, she pushed him up until he leaned on his palms for support. A beat later, she assaulted his neck with that amazing mouth, sending Logan into desperate growls.

Sure, somehow, that he would not frighten her, he reached up to grab a fistful of her short white hair. She gasped deliciously when he tugged her head back. Without waiting for her to adjust, he latched on to her neck, suckling until he was lightheaded from the taste of her. Wanting more, he released her hair to take her hands, shoving them above her head to hold her prisoner.

Long, slow licks brought him from her throat to her breasts. He took each chocolate-colored peak into his mouth, making his lover arch and wiggle beneath him. Her desperate cries for more were music to his ears. Primal lust flared inside of him until this interlude was less about her and more about them.

Releasing her hands, Logan’s mouth traveled down the smooth expanse of her belly. His hands reached down to grasp her thighs so he could pull them further apart. She propped up on her elbows, staring down at him with lust naked in her eyes. He smirked at her a beat before burying his face in the apex of her thighs.

Thunder rattled the windows as he drank in the exotic juices. She was already wet and ready for him, making him growl against her heated flesh. He toyed with the slick folds of her, then circled the hardened nub with the tip of his tongue. Ororo’s hips came clean off the floor, his name tumbled from her lips in a growl as he clamped his hands on her hips to keep her in place.

He brought her up to his mouth, feasting hungrily on her. The sweet tang of her made his eyes roll into the back of his head. He hadn’t had a woman in some time and he’d definitely never had one like Storm.

Her climax was like a clash of thunder. Ororo arched her back and cried his name while the winds howled outside at their mistress’ command. Her nails dug into his shoulders as she attempted to bring him up to her. Logan slid up her body, kissing her deeply as he entered her without pause.

Storm’s head flew back and her body arched sharply into his. Logan buried his face into her neck on a long groan. Her body fit around him like a glove, pulling him deeper inside until he thought he would drown. Hot, wet, and needy she surrounded him. He drew back with a hiss only to pound back inside of her.

Ororo kissed his cheek as her hands wound into his hair. Those long, slender legs came up to wrap around his waist, opening her to him completely. He lifted his head, taking her lips as lustily as he took her body.

Every thrust of his hips scooted them on the carpet. It wasn’t enough. Harder, faster, deeper, he had to be part of her. He wanted, desperately, to get into her skin and take up residence there.

She panted his name when their lips broke apart for air. Logan growled hers in response, wiggling a hand between them so he could take one perfect breast. Her head thrashed against the carpeted floor, her body seeming to hum with electricity as he ushered her toward a second climax.

“That’s it,” he growled lowly into her ear. “Let me watch you fly, ‘Ro.”

Ororo crooned softly, her nails scraping his shoulders and back as she neared that precious edge between reason and heaven. Logan grit his teeth, determined that she would finish before he. Angling his hips slightly, he increased his pace. Sweat poured down his back, making her hands slip on his flesh.

“Come on, baby,” he continued. “I wanna feel you come.”

She exploded. Logan kept up his bruising pace, swallowing her cry of his name when he took her mouth again. She writhed and clenched around him, drawing him over the edge with her so that stars appeared before his eyes.

His body screamed for more, even as he swore into her mouth. That feeling of bliss, that moment of heaven, had never been so powerful for him. He rolled off of his lover, collapsing on the floor as he gasped for breath.

They fell into silence, trying desperately to return to the real world. Logan turned to look at her, somewhat shocked now at what they had done.

But the shock faded when he saw Ororo turn to him. The hollow look in her eyes was gone, her smile now lazy and sated. She reached over to touch his cheek, making his eyes close at the simple, affectionate gesture.

“When are you leaving?” The question was simple, honest without any hint of sadness or remorse.

“Tomorrow,” he answered without thinking. “Stay with me tonight.”

Ororo’s smile widened and she sighed somewhat teasingly. “I suppose.”

He rolled onto his side, reaching over to draw her closer. “Comere.”

~**~

She watched him bid goodbye to the children as he readied the bike. He never wore a helmet, though she understood why. He smiled at something Rogue said to him, then reached over to lightly swat Bobby on the head. They looked like a family in that moment. The older brother, the sister and the sister’s boyfriend. It was sweet.

Logan also said goodbye to Jimmy, from a safe distance. While Logan genuinely enjoyed the child, it was established early on that they had to stay apart. When Jimmy brought down Logan’s healing mutation, the metal inside his body could poison him quickly. They always thought it better to be safe than sorry.

When they children headed back into the house, Ororo came down the front steps. He’d stayed an extra two days, just for her. No one knew what happened between them, or that Logan had spent those nights in her room, in her bed. It was their business, no one else needed to know.

She was grateful to this man for saving her. Though she could not explain how, he suddenly reminded her of everything she was fighting for. He brought her back from the edge of madness, showed her that she could be human. Nothing meant more to her than his faith in her.

They’d talked for hours after her body begged for mercy. She still tingled all over, thinking of how he could manipulate it without direction. He told her to take time for herself, to stop comparing herself to Charles. She promised to try.

“Hey, darlin’.” He greeted her with a slow, secret smile. Somehow, she knew it was a smile reserved for her alone.

“Ready to go?” She questioned, returning the affectionate grin.

“Yeah.” Logan zipped up his leather jacket and tightened the straps on his pack. “You gonna be ok?”

“I think so,” she nodded. “You will keep in touch, won’t you?”

“Sure,” he winked. “I’ll drop in from time to time.”

Ororo tilted her head, her smile widening. “Oh, of that I have no doubt.”

He swung his leg over the seat of the bike and revved the engine to life. Ororo moved closer, leaning in to kiss his cheek. He smiled, reaffirming to the weather witch that he would, indeed, be back.

“Take care of yourself.”

“You, too, darlin’.” Logan winked as she backed away from the motorcycle.

She watched as he drove off into the sunrise until he was nothing more than the fading sound of an engine slipping away. Ororo inhaled deeply, blowing out the breath as she turned back toward the mansion.

He would be back and she would be waiting for him.
Chapter Two: Progress by Gaineewop


Chapter Two: Progress

No, you don’t mean nothing at all to me
You don’t mean nothing at all to me
But you’ve got what it takes to set me free
You could mean everything to me
~Nelly Furtado





“Are you kidding me?”

Ororo stood, her hands on her hips, glaring at the repair team that had fixed a sizable hole in the roof. The bill they had just handed her was astronomical. She could not believe that they were trying to cheat her. Appraisals had been roughly half of what they were asking for now.

“Look, lady,” the leader said rudely. “That’s the price. Don’t like it, we can hash it out in court.”

“Oh, good,” she fired back, reaching for the telephone. “I know several lawyers. Most of which work pro bono for the school. It won’t cost me a thing.”

He looked at her as though she’d just slapped him. Ororo began dialing.

“All right, fine. I’ll come down to three grand, most of it for labor.”

“Two point five or I keep on dialing.”

He stared at her, trying to call her bluff. Ororo simply placed the phone to her ear.

“Deal.”

Ororo flashed him a brilliant smile while switching the phone off. “Good choice. I’ll send you a check.”

“Money order.”

“Fine. Now, I believe you know the way out.”

The repair team gathered their things and stomped from the room, many of them grumbling under their breath. Once they were out of earshot, Ororo swore violently in Swahili and rubbed the bridge of her nose.

As though her migraine needed more help building, Rogue came rushing through the kitchen door a beat later.

“Storm? We’ve got a problem. We’re out of rooms for the new semester, what with four new students.”

“Please, tell me you are joking, Marie.”

The beautiful southern woman shook her head. In the several months since she’d abandoned her station as a mutant, she’d become something akin to Ororo’s crutch. Not only did Marie teach some self-defense courses at the school, she did a majority of the secretarial work as well.

“I wish I was.”

Ororo’s brain began to pound within her skull. “All right. Let’s see if we can’t convert the upstairs sitting room into an extra room.”

“Uh, that’s not the only issue,” Marie said cautiously. “We’ll need another teacher as we’re over capacity.”

“Son of a…” Ororo halted herself, knowing her temper was slipping. “All right, I’ll contact Henry and see if he can recommend someone.”

“I already left him a message,” Marie smiled slightly. “Why don’t you go take a bath?”

Ororo shook her head. “Jimmy has a dentist appointment and Artie’s parents are dropping him off at five.”

“Like I can’t take care of that?” Marie shook her head and pointed toward the stairs. “Go to your room.”

Amused by her friend’s choice of words, Ororo surrendered. She handed her the phone and slipped up the back staircase that led from the kitchen to the teacher’s corridor.

Though she loved her position as the school’s Headmistress and leader of the X-Men, there were days when Ororo wanted to take off into the skies and hide for eternity. This happened to be one of those days.

When she reached her bedroom, she closed the door behind her and leaned against it. Just after Logan left the school five months ago, she decided it was time to take her place as the Headmistress completely.

Charles’ things were put into storage and Ororo made his bedroom suite her own. Gone were the antiques and massive oil paintings. Along with fresh eggshell paint on the walls, Ororo put up bold modern art works and straight lined furniture. The room felt more like home to her, now, though she kept a large oil of Charles above the fireplace.

Moving across the thick carpeting, she halted at the sound of a motorcycle in the distance.

Smiling slightly, she turned and opened the bedroom door again. She stopped in the hall to smooth her short white hair in a large mirror, frowning at the faded state of her makeup. The tailored gray suit just didn’t set the right tone, either.

After ducking back into the room, Ororo donned a pair of sleek black trousers and a soft white tank top. A pair of strappy sandals completed her “I’m cool, calm, and breezy” look. Satisfied, she headed for the stairs, feeling more confident now.

She spotted him standing in the foyer as she reached the second landing. In his typical leather jacket, worn jeans, and white tee shirt, he’d never looked more appealing. He glanced up from his conversation with Katherine Pryde and Piotr Rasputin. A soft, slow smile appeared on his lips, which suddenly reminded Ororo of several years ago, when Jean greeted him after that first, long absence.

Ororo wasn’t sure if she was offended or complimented by that thought.

“Look who’s come back,” she said in an offhand manner.

“Need a babysitter?” He teased right back. Ororo caught the smoldering look in his eye and nearly swooned as she came closer.

“You’re off the hook tonight,” she said, not sure if she intended for her meaning to hang in the air the way it did.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Logan gave her a long once-over, which she hoped her students missed.

“Welcome back,” Ororo grinned, turned on her heel and walked into the Rec Room.

She could feel his eyes on her until she was out of his line of sight.

~**~

Ororo had only gotten as far as her office when Logan caught up with her. She ignored him intentionally, stepping into her private space and leaving the door ajar. It was a silent invitation for him to follow her.

She had thought about that night so many times. Logan finding her on the balcony, the heat that flared between them. Late in the darkness, she could still feel his hands on her, his insistent body bringing her back to reality. There was no denying that she wanted him again.

The door clicked closed behind him and in the same breath his duffel hit the floor. She heard the lock slam into place as she reached her desk and turned to him.

“Miss me, darlin’?”

It was all he said before crossing the room. Ororo had braced herself for him, perching on the edge of her desk for balance.

He took her mouth possessively, wrapping his arms around her to prevent escape. Ororo’s senses plunged into madness, somehow noticing the desperation in his touch. Somehow, she knew that this time, she was his anchor to reality.

She wrapped him in her arms, opening her mouth to invite him in. His tongue swept through her parted lips, exploring her as thoroughly as he had that night so many months ago. She felt rather than heard him whimper her name while his hands traced her curves.

And then, someone went and knocked on the door.

Ororo pulled her mouth from Logan’s forcibly.

“What?!”

“Professor Munroe?”

Almost growling as Logan latched on to the tender flesh of her neck, Ororo cleared her throat so she could respond.

“Yes, Angel?”

“Rogue and Iceman are at it again, could you break it up? They only listen to you.”

Whimpering as well, Ororo met Logan’s lips for a swift, promising kiss before she answered her blond student.

“I will be right there, darling.”

“Thanks.”

As the boy hurried from the door, Ororo wrapped Logan back into her arms, molding her body against him eagerly. She wanted to hide from every responsibility she had. He always made it too easy to forget there was a world outside whatever room they were in.

“You better go,” he whispered huskily, not bothering to release her. “Kids’ll be wonderin’ what’s goin’ on.”

“Let them kill each other,” Ororo whined, leaning closer to him and inhaling the masculine scent of leather and sweat.

Logan chuckled easily. “I’m not goin’ anywhere just yet, darlin’. Take care of your babies.”

She leaned up for one last toe-curling kiss before peeling her body from Logan’s. After a quick check of her makeup and hair in the mirror behind her desk, she bounced out of the office to mediate between two quarreling ex-lovers.

~**~

Because Logan was so rarely around, students detained him until well after Ororo headed to bed. As she changed into a short camisole and an old pair of boxer shorts, she thought about his previous visits.

Until that last time, she had thought he would mourn Jean forever. She never expected him to come to her on the balcony, to take her with the kind of force most women dream about in the secret, naughty places in their hearts.

Ororo, to her relief, was in touch with that secret, naughty place inside of her. While most shied away from fast and furious sex, she embraced it. Logan had shown her exactly how much fun being naughty could be, all while bringing her back from the brink of madness.

What had happened to him during the last five months? Why did he seem so suddenly desperate for her touch? That heated kiss in her office left her wondering if he had found something in his wanderings that pertained to his past. If he had, she only hoped he would let her help him.

While she waited for him “ and she had no doubt he would come to her “ she contemplated his peculiar behavior. Had he come back to the mansion because it felt like home or did he want her?

“’Ro?”

“Oh, shit.” Ororo giggled a little helplessly when she heard Logan knock on the door across the hall. He had no idea that she’d moved.

Hurrying to the door, she poked her head out of it and hissed for him. Logan turned sharply as the voices of Kitty and Piotr came wafting up from the stairs. Ororo laughed as Logan grabbed his bag, chuckled and ducked into her room. They narrowly avoided being caught by the two lovebirds.

“You coulda told me you moved,” Logan accused when Ororo closed and locked her bedroom door.

“I forgot,” she apologized. “And I thought you might want your own room.”

Logan raised a brow at her, his expression unreadable. “I’d rather sleep in here, where I can get ya naked whenever I want.”

Desire and longing pumped into Storm’s system at his words. The way he sampled the air with his sensitive nose told her he noticed. His eyes moved over her lazily, lust flaring in his eyes as he took in every inch of her dark skin.

He sure as hell knew how to make a girl feel sexy.

“Logan?”

“Uh-huh?”

“I’m up here.”

She grinned at him, crossing her arms over her breasts as he met her eyes. Something she couldn’t fathom swirled beneath the surface of those ebony pools. She ached to reach into him, to heal whatever wound he’d been dealt now.

“Storm?”

“Wolverine.”

Logan sighed, running a hand through the unkempt mane of his hair. “Can we talk about it later?”

She nodded, knowing how difficult the simple act of speaking could be. Moving across the room to him, she took the duffel from his hand and placed it at the foot of her bed.

“Come here,” she beckoned him, leading him to her bed. “Come here and let me take care of you.”

They fell onto the bed together, Logan landing atop her. His hands framed her face, eyes searching hers for something she could not name.

“That’s why I came back.”

~**~

At dawn, she slipped out of bed and managed to shower without waking her lover. For hours, Logan had allowed her to heal him without words. In sharp contrast to their affair five months ago, they took their time. Every touch, kiss, climax felt like an eternity.

When, finally, Logan exhausted himself, she held him until he fell asleep. Whatever was wrong with her Wolverine disturbed her greatly. He had come back for comfort, for her to comfort him. That mere thought was humbling.

As she brushed her hair and readied for her day, she heard him moving on the bed. Glancing into the reflection of her vanity mirror, she watched as he sat up. He looked bewildered for a moment, as though he had no recollection of returning to the mansion.

“Good morning,” she said quietly, not moving from the vanity.

“Hey,” he whispered in reply, running a hand over his face. “Thank God, I thought I’d dreamed it all.”

“All what?” Ororo asked cautiously.

“I’d been trying to get back here for a month,” Logan explained as he laid back in her bed. “Something or another would come up and I’d get held up.”

She brushed her hair in silence for a moment. “Logan?”

“Yeah, baby?”

“What happened?”

He exhaled slowly, the sound shaking as though he were holding on to his emotions tightly.

“I don’t know. I just…I had to get back here.”

They lapsed into silence, neither really knowing what to say. Before this, the last time he was here, everything seemed so effortless, so simple. Now, there were words instead of just emotion. She wanted him to talk to her, to explain, but she at the same time, she feared what he might admit.

“’Ro?”

“What?” Ororo asked, looking back up into his reflection. She was startled to find his eyes immediately, as though he’d been staring at her back.

“I just needed to come back here. I wanted to see you.” The words were barely a whisper, as if he himself could scarcely believe he voiced it.

Surprised to hear him so honestly admit something she was not even ready to, Ororo swallowed thickly.

“I have missed you, Logan.”

“I know, darlin’.” He smiled quickly. “Can you come back to bed?”

As much as she wanted to fall back into his arms, her duties as Headmistress weighed in on her. “I have students.”

“Give ‘em a snow day.” He crooked a finger at her enticingly.

Staring at his barely covered form on her bed, that “come hither” in his gaze was her undoing. Ororo abandoned her morning ritual and came across the room to Logan. She sank slowly onto the bed, straddling his thighs easily.

“What are we doing, Logan?” She asked, reaching down to touch his face as his hands came up to her hips.

“Dunno, darlin’,” he admitted, nipping at her fingertip as she caressed his lip. “But I don’t wanna stop.”

“Oh, good,” she grinned, shifting on his lap. “Neither do I.”
Chapter Three: Hollow Loss by Gaineewop


Chapter Three: Hollow Loss

What hurts the most
Is being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was trying to do
~Rascall Flatts



Home wasn’t something that came easily to the mutant known as Wolverine. For too long, home had been the back of a long-forgotten pickup truck. Moving from place to place, living from day to day, that was the only life he could forge from the ashes of violation.

He thought, though, that this felt something like home. He stepped under the wickedly hot spray of Ororo’s shower and rotated his shoulders. She had the energy of a damn jungle cat. Inside and out of the bedroom. Four hours of grueling Danger Room training left even his rapid-healing body near to worn out.

Logan smiled as he ran his hands through his dark hair. Something about that woman was starting to get under his skin, especially in the last three weeks. He found himself drawn to her, to that stoic calm he knew could crack at any moment. Perhaps that was the allure, knowing there was a violent storm beneath the seeming calm.

She was a code he couldn’t crack and something about that just drove him wild.

There were things he could do for her that others couldn’t. Outside of their rather athletic bedroom tangos, he did minor repairs, ran Danger Room sessions…little things like that. Ororo always seemed to have a to do list five miles long and she accepted help whenever it was offered.

Then again, he mused, all she had to do was bat those huge blue eyes at someone for them to crumble like week-old bread.

Logan grabbed his shampoo and quickly massaged a healthy bit into his hair. Ororo expected him downstairs in a few minutes to meet with Hank about something or other. He didn’t quite know how he still rated a place as an X-Man, as part of Xavier’s dream, but Storm always insisted that it was something Charles wanted.

She understood, on a level he didn’t understand, why he had to leave, why he came back, that he needed this place.

He didn’t know how to thank her for that.

Lost in his thoughts, Logan didn’t notice someone had come into the room until the shower door opened. He raised a brow when something very warm and very pliable scooted past him to duck under the water.

Cracking an eye open, he drew in a sharp breath at the sight of Ororo, in all her glory, standing beneath the scalding spray.

“Hey,” he said in a low growl. “Who said I wanted to share my shower, woman?”

She smiled, lifting her face to the water. “It is my shower.”

“Ok, point,” Logan chuckled, his eyes drawn to that long, lithe form so generously displayed before him.

“I realized as I was waiting for Henry that I smell rather badly,” she explained, reaching around him to grab her shampoo. The graze of her breast against his shoulder sent his blood hot through roaring veins.

Sniffing the air lightly, Logan shrugged one shoulder. “Smell fine to me.”

One of those sapphire eyes popped open. Under the heated water, her hair matted to her head and that easy, sexy smile on her face, she was easily the most beautiful thing on the planet. While Jean had been girl-next-door pretty with a soft, secret smile, Ororo brought out the animal in him, embraced it while seeming as otherworldly as a goddess on earth.

He had loved Jean and always would, on some level. But he wanted Ororo. To possess, inflame, challenge…he wanted her more every day. It should have terrified him, but when she smiled like that, nothing seemed to frighten him.

As she rinsed her hair, Logan stepped closer in the large shower stall. She was humming some song, her body swaying slightly to her own tune. His hands itched to be on her again, though it had only been a few hours since he’d had her last.

Giving in to the insistence of his body, Logan slid both of his hands around her, flattening his palms against her flat, wet belly. His face buried in the crook of her neck, which she instinctively exposed with a soft groan.

“Logan?” Her breathy whisper made his head spin, his cock hardening almost instantly.

“We’re gonna be late.”

She only sighed as he turned her around, his hands gliding up to cup both chocolate peaked breasts. The water sluiced over them both, making it easier to touch. Her skin felt like liquid fire, sending his senses into overdrive.

Logan concentrated on the pound of her heart, the scent of her skin, the feel of her body as she melted in his arms. This was reality to him. Something tangible in a world that sometimes felt as surreal as dreams. His tether, his anchor.

The reason he had come back.

He had not wanted to admit it, but only Ororo drew him back to the mansion. The pull of her, knowing she needed him on some primal level he didn’t want to explore had sent him from Canada to New York. Relief at just seeing her face was terrifying on it’s own, but he didn’t want to dwell on that.

Being without her was like missing an arm. Not that he was prepared to tell her that. She had become his friend since Jean’s death, his confidant. Now, she became an unrivaled lover. He wondered how many in the world could claim to have such a lover. She inflamed and soothed him at the same time, calling on both man and beast.

Ororo did something to him, something he could not explain or understand.

She stepped backward, her body pliable and willing in his hands. When she hit the wall, Logan scooped her up by lifting just under her arms. Ororo smirked, letting him position her and wrapping her mile-long legs around his waist.

“Logan?” Her voice, husky with want, made him shiver.

“Yeah, ‘Ro?”

“Don’t be gentle.”

He groaned, leaning down to capture her lips with his. Vixen. She always knew what to say, how to draw out whichever side of him she wanted at that moment. He felt the beast inside of him pound to the surface, wanting to claim her with every cell in his body.

Her hands fell to his shoulders, long nails scoring his flesh eagerly. His hips shifted against her belly, letting her feel his swollen cock against her flesh. Ororo tore her mouth from his, groaning loudly as her hips angled up sharply, begging for attention.

Logan dropped a hand to the apex of her thighs, his hands gliding easily with the hot water coating them both. He nipped at her lips, finding her hot and ready for him. She was always ready for him, wanting him nearly as badly as he wanted her.

This would probably come back to bite them in the ass, but damn, it felt too good to deny.

One of his thick fingers slid inside of her, making him groan helplessly against her mouth. Her wet, receptive body pulled him closer. Lust and need pounded through his body, demanding he take her hard, fast, until she screamed his name.

Her hips pumped against his hand, a whimper leaving her kiss-swollen lips as his thumb grazed her clitoris. With her nails digging even further into his shoulders. The twinge of pain only brought the pleasure higher inside of him. His erection hot and heavy against her, he leaned over her, nibbling a path from her lips to her ear.

“What’d’ya want, darlin’?”

She knew his game. He liked things vocal and she had learned to play very, very well. Ororo grinned, thrusting her hips against his fingers to make herself moan.

“Take me,” she whispered. “Fuck me, Logan.”

He growled into her ear, his hips rocking against her reflexively. “Yeah?”

Now,” she demanded, reaching between them to cup his dick in her hand.

“Fuck,” Logan groaned, rocking his hips into her masterful touch.

He let her guide him, twisting his hips and seating his erection inside her without pause. Logan grabbed both of her hands, holding them above her head with one of his. His free hand gripped her hip, holding her in place while he drove into her again and again.

Ororo threw her head back, allowing him to restrain her. She groaned and whimpered with every thrust of his hips, begging him for more in a voice that drove his animal screaming to the surface. Oh, his Storm loved to be dominated. She needed to let someone else take control, if only for a moment.

Her memorized body flexed against his, every twitch of every muscle burned into Wolverine’s memory. He knew her, intimately, knew how she reacted if he licked that spot on her neck or angled his strokes just slightly to the left.

She pulled him closer with those powerful legs, her breasts bouncing with every move of their bodies. Sex with ‘Ro was like a religious experience.

He fit inside her like she was made for him. Her inner muscles gripped him to the point of pain while her eyes turned their signature white and her flesh hummed with power. Logan could only hold on, pounding inside of her until he thought he would die.

When they exploded, he felt his vision darken for a moment, her name tumbling from his lips on a feral growl. She whimpered his name, arching her body stiffly into his. The water had turned cold, but neither of them noticed.

Logan wondered, as he wrapped her in another kiss, if she realized he was falling in love with her.

~**~


Kitty Pryde yawned as she sat up in bed. Piotr’s heavy body scarcely moved as he slept, his beautiful mouth parted as he snored. She chuckled at him, glancing around the room as someone knocked again.

“Hang on,” she called softly, reaching for the bathrobe she always left at the foot of the bed.

She pulled the soft red satin over her shoulders and yawned again. Her socked feet made soft noises on the polished hardwood as she moved to the door, wondering who was knocking this late.

With a glance at Pete, she opened the door slightly.

The odd chill woke her immediately. She could almost feel her mutation suppressed by the tall, bald boy sheepishly standing at her door. A slow, easy smile curved her lips and she opened the door a little wider.

“You, ok, Jim?” she asked, raising her voice as much as she dared.

“Uh, yeah,” the boy nodded. “Um, that new girl, Abby? She’s crying. She wouldn’t let me into her room, so I thought…”

Kitty rubbed her eyes, coming into the hall. “Didn’t wanna wake Storm?”

Jimmy shook his head as they moved toward the stairs. “She didn’t answer.”

“Weird,” Kitty said with a frown. She shrugged one shoulder. “Well, lets see if I can get Abby to open the door for me, huh? Let Storm sleep.”

Her young friend smiled slightly, following her as they descended two flights of stairs to the younger girl’s bedroom. Abby had only been at the mansion a week and her period of adjustment was not going well. Kitty felt for the girl, who latched onto Jimmy like a lifeline.

When they reached the door, Kitty knocked quietly. “Abby? It’s Kitten.”

A sniffle. “I’m ok.”

Jimmy and Kitty shared a look that clearly said they weren’t having any of that. “Come on, Abs.”

Smiling at her friend’s nickname for the younger student, Kitty knocked again. “Abby, don’t make me get Peter here to open the door for you.”

There was a short pause and then the bedroom door popped open. Kitty and Jimmy entered together, finding the petite blond crying on her bed.

As expected, the girl calmed quickly. Homesickness, Kitty knew, could be debilitating. She left the young charge with Jimmy, knowing the two would comfort one another easily. Kitty headed back to her room, confident that all had been taken care of. She could still grab another couple of hours of sleep curled up to her big Russian teddy bear.

Yawning again, Kitty paused as she reached her room. Glancing down at Storm’s bedroom door, she contemplated for only a moment. It was odd for Storm to not answer a knock on her door, even when Wolverine was around.

The students weren’t stupid; everyone knew something was going on between the feral mutant and their Headmistress. Most of them decided to keep their mouths closed about it.

Deciding it wouldn’t hurt to check on her as she was already on a roll, Kitty moved down the hall. Logan had been gone a few weeks, which usually meant Storm didn’t sleep for a few nights. Usually, though, that period would have been over by now.

Maybe she’d gone out for a nighttime flight. Still, something in the back of Kitty’s mind made her knock on the door soundly.

Nothing.

She bit her lip, knocking again. “Storm?”

No answer.

Panic welled in her chest, as it had since losing three X-Men two years ago. Kitty pounded on the door. “Storm? Answer me, damn it.”

Deciding that she would risk a lightning bolt up the ass, Kitty promptly phased through the door. It was bad manners, but she really couldn’t care less at the moment.

Kitty noticed two things were very wrong in the same moment. One, the bedroom windows were still closed. Two, she caught the faint scent of blood on the air. Worried now, Kitty reached for the light switch and flicked it on.

“Oh, my God.” The young X-Woman’s hands flew to her mouth in acute shock.

Lying on the floor, half inside the bathroom was her Headmistress. Blood had pooled on the creamy carpet, soaking deep into the fibers. Kitty ran to her, grabbing her friend’s hand and searching for the wound.

“PETER! PETER! PETER, HURRY!”

She kept screaming, unable to think of anything else to do. Commotion erupted outside at the echoing sound of her screams.

“K-Kitten…” Ororo’s whimper tore her heart apart.

“I’m here,” she whispered back, rubbing her arms to warm her. “You’re so cold. Hang on, Storm. Just hang on.”

A beat later, Colossus tore the bedroom door down. His massive form, face screwed into a mask of worry, stepped over the threshold in search of his lover.

“Storm?” Fear trickled into his voice and he rushed to them.

Iceman and Rogue followed, both of them trying to hold back the younger, more impressionable students.

“I don’t know what’s happening,” Kitty explained to her love. “She’s bleeding.”

Sorrow filled Peter’s eyes as he took in the blood pooled between Ororo’s legs. “I do. Let me have her.”

He scooped the light woman into his arms. “Kit-Kat, go start the Jeep. Hurry, now.”

Kitty immediately phased through several walls, narrowly beating Peter to the garage. She wondered, for a moment, if he had somehow learned to fly. He cradled his beloved teacher in his arms, whispering prayers and consolation in her ears. Kitty grabbed the Jeep’s keys and slid into the driver’s seat.

Peter sat in the back, Ororo protectively in his arms. Kitty tore off into the night, tears blurring her vision as a realization came over her like the fingers of death.

Where are you, Wolverine? You have to come home.

~**~


Sunlight beamed merrily through the windows. The sky was a brilliant blue, filled with fluffy, marshmallow-like clouds. Everything seemed pristine and perfect. It was one of those days when families could be found playing in the park, when the sound of children’s laughter rang through the air.

She closed her eyes briefly, letting a single tear escape. Her body hurt, but it was nothing compared to what her heart was going through. The homey hospital room gave her little comfort, even with all of the cards and flowers her students and friends saw fit to decorate it with.

The chatter of nurses outside, the occasional wail of a newborn, it all faded into the background. All she could feel, all she could think, was that Fate had turned it’s back on her, again.

The door opened quietly and without turning, Ororo knew who it was. He had not visited yet and she knew Kitty would have called him first. Dealings in Washington had likely made it difficult for him to come sooner, so she could forgive him.

“My darling child,” Beast said as he entered, closing the door behind him.

Ororo turned her eyes to him, managing a small, heartbroken smile. He was wearing jeans and a faded Polo shirt. The casual clothing would have looked ridiculous on his massive, furry form, but she only saw a handsome devil.

“Henry,” she greeted, raising a hand to wave him closer.

He clutched a handful of daisies, laying them on her food tray as he took the chair beside her bed. Ororo shifted against her pillows, wincing at the twinge of pain that shot through her womb. Another painful reminder of what she had lost.

Henry took her hand, kissing the back of it with sorrow in his blue eyes. Ororo looked away, fearing she would burst into tears at any moment.

“I would ask how you are doing, but it is written clearly on your face, my friend,” he whispered. “I am so sorry for your loss, ‘Roro.”

Tears streamed down her cheeks, the beautiful day reflecting her grief with rolling black clouds. She fought to regain control, smiling sadly to her friend as he squeezed her hand in comfort.

“It is so stupid,” she said tearfully. “I did not even know I was pregnant and I mourn the loss so deeply.”

“It is not stupid,” Henry said gently. “Your body created life and before you could rejoice in that miracle, it was cruelly taken from you. You, my darling, have every right to grieve.”

Ororo’s sob caught in her throat and Henry was off his chair immediately. He scooted onto the bed, drawing her into his arms as the clouds broke open. The heavens wept as she did while Henry rubbed her back, whispering what he hoped were soothing words against her hair.

“My baby,” Ororo wept. “My child. I lost him before I even knew him.”

“Cry, my dear,” Henry pled, his own voice thick with unshed tears. “I would, if it were me.”

She gave in, letting the damn burst in Henry’s arms. He would never judge her, think her weak for this moment of complete sorrow. He held her firmly, tethering her to the world while she was awash in grief. It felt like she was dying, like a part of her was lost with that of the child taken so swiftly from her womb.

When, at long last, she had no more tears to shed and the skies cleared once more, she lay back against her pillows. Henry gently touched his furry hands to her face, soothing her as a father would a brokenhearted child.

“There,” he said simply. “You were human and the world did not end.”

Ororo smiled weakly. Her hands fell to the sore and empty womb her child had died in and she took a shuddering breath.

“I think I would have been a good mother,” she admitted. “I think I would have liked to.”

“You will have other chances,” Henry assured her with a fond smile. “And I agree. You would be a phenomenal mother. Just look at how you raised me.”

She chuckled lightly before the sorrow found her again. “I did not know what was happening. One moment I felt just fine and the next…the pain was so harsh. I could not even call for help.”

Henry caressed her cheek, then let his hands join hers. “I wish I had been there to help you.”

“There wasn’t anything anyone could do,” she sighed. “It just…happened. Nothing is to blame, or so they tell me.”

“Nature and Fate have their reasons, my friend.” Henry told her, though the words lacked his usual conviction.

“Huh,” she grunted. “Perhaps they could leave me alone for a while. I am sick of this devastating loss.”

They lapsed into silence for some time. Ororo looked to her friend and exhaled deeply. He would not understand, but at least he would follow her instructions without asking too many questions.

“Henry? Would you take that letter on the table there?” She pointed behind him. “Send it for me.”

“A letter to Logan?” He asked, taking the thin envelope gingerly.

Ororo nodded. “I have to tell him, at least. He checks in with a mailing service once a week. It is the only way I have to reach him.”

“I understand,” Henry squeezed her hand again. “I will ensure he gets it.”

“Thank you.”

She turned her eyes back to the window, drowning in her loss again. Would Logan come back? Would he feel the loss of their baby as keenly as she did?

I need you, she thought to the man alone somewhere in the world. I need you, Logan.


~**~

Monterrey, Mexico


“Señor Logan?”

Through the thick cigar smoke surrounding him, Logan looked up at the bartender. He was leaning over the billiard table, about to take a money-making shot when the old Mexican man approached the table.

“¿Qué usted desea?”

The man handed him what looked like a weather-beaten envelope. Logan tossed it onto the table with a curt nod, intent on winning his five hundred dollars from the jerkoffs standing behind him.

With a resounding bang Logan’s pool cue struck the balls, sending several striped into the various pockets.

“Eight ball, corner pocket,” he called around his cigar.

Bang!

He collected his money with a proud smirk, stuffing the various bills into his pocket as the crowd dispersed. Taking his letter, he settled at the bar, ordering another beer.

Mexico wasn’t so bad, he guessed. Hot as hell, but there was plenty to entertain himself. He missed New York, missed the woman that drew him back there, but he needed time to think. She was quickly taking him over, every day away from her proved that.

Could he go back and stay? Did she even want him to? Questions. Questions. No answers.

Sipping his beer “ which tasted something like warm piss “ Logan glanced at the letter in his hands before dropping his cigar into a waiting ash tray. The feminine scrawl of his name was familiar and for a moment, he was too terrified to open it.

This service, they’ll forward anythin’ to me. You need me, use it.

Only in a dire emergency, but thank you.

Praying no one had died, that his friends and family were all in one piece, he tore the letter open. The paper still smelled like her and he closed his eyes, imagining her beautiful hands as she wrote to him.

Logan,

Come home. I did not know how else to start this letter. Please, Logan, come home.

You deserve to know, but this is the most difficult thing I have ever put into writing. When you left two months ago, I was pregnant. I did not know it at the time. I did not know it until today.

I lost the baby. I’m so sorry, Logan.

~Ororo


As the letter fell from his hands, the noise and stench of the bar faded around him. Pregnant. She’d been pregnant. She’d been carrying his child in her womb as he drove into the sunrise.

No longer. She’d lost the baby. Oh, God. What had happened? Was she on a mission, completely unaware of the life snuggled inside of her? Had she been hurt? Had Fate simply seen fit to hurt him again?

Rage and sorrow warred within his breast. In a single instant he loved and mourned the child he never got a chance to know. Tears stung the back of his eyes. He stood up from the bar, clutching the letter to his breast as he paid his bill.

Logan stumbled into the night, hauling his suddenly aching body onto the seat of his motorcycle. Raging at the God he’d never believed in, drowning in the pain now welling in his chest, he roared the bike to life.

But instead of turning it north, toward her, he pointed it south and kept on running.
Chapter Four: Regret by Gaineewop


Chapter Four: Regret

I did her so wrong
For so long
I turned my back on her love
Now she’s long gone
I did my part to break her heart
She walked out on me
And tore my world apart
She used to be mine
Oh, she used to be mine
~Brooks and Dunn



July 1989

Soft feminine giggling filled the room, drifting through on a gentle breeze that smelled of blooming lilac. Bed sheets rustled, the noise mingling with the laughter. Sunlight beamed merrily through the wide, open windows.

A man named Henry McCoy thought, perhaps, that heaven was something like this. He smiled broadly at the woman propped against the bed pillows. Her luminous blue eyes shone with mirth and pure, undiluted happiness. Never in his life had he seen something so beautiful, so precious.

If she asked it of him, he would move mountains.

He leaned up, just slightly, so that she could shift her endless cocoa legs. When she was comfortable, one arm slung behind her glorious snowy head, he lay against her again. Her soft flesh was warm against his chest, begging for kisses.

Giving in to the impulse, Hank pressed his lips innocently to her skin. She always tasted so pure, so perfect. He raised a hand, “walking” two fingers up the expanse of her chocolatey limb. She giggled again, making him grin in response.

“What are you doing, young man?” She demanded with delight in her tone.

“Letting my fingers do the walking, my love,” he answered easily.

Ororo merely smiled, making her lover wink up at her.

He crossed her soft, cotton-covered hip and traveled the length of her smooth, flat belly. Hank shifted the thin tank she wore, exposing a wealth of her lovely flesh for his feasting eyes. Several innocent kisses were rained onto her stomach, her soft sigh of pleasure sending shivers racing down his spine.

“You cannot be serious,” Ororo demanded on a laugh. Hank raised one dark brow, flattening her to the bed with his body.

“Oh? And why not?”

Ororo’s white brow shot up to hide in her mussed hair. “Because you have had me twice already this morning.”

“Mmm,” Hank hummed lustily, waggling his eyebrows. “Perhaps that is why I crave more. I am, after all, addicted to you.”

Her long lashes fluttered helplessly. “You do say the nicest things, darling.”

Hank nuzzled her nose with his, enjoying the shuddering sigh his lover released as he did so. Her eyes drifted closed, her body almost instinctively flexing into his. Their legs tangled together as they always did. For some reason, Hank and Ororo shared the intimate need to touch at every point they could reach. Often the couple could be found entwined from head to toe, even when watching a movie in the sitting room with the others.

Her tactile demeanor may have made some men shy from her, but it only drew Hank closer to Ororo. He adored her need to be touched, both innocently and sensually. The woman did wonders for his ego.

“Hank?” Ororo’s gentle whisper made her lover bury his head into the crook of her neck. He inhaled the scent of her skin, feathering kisses over her flesh until she purred.

“Henry.”

He still paid her no mind, dragging his hands down to flex on her hips.

“Henry Peter McCoy, cease and desist!” She was laughing, which made her demands somewhat less than urgent.

Unable to resist, Hank smirked into her neck and then proceeded to nibble on her noisily. Ororo, ticklish to the point of being ridiculous, squealed loudly, attempting to escape her fiancé’s sudden assault.

Hank made soft, teasing, growling noises as he tickled her with his mouth. He let his hands come up to her sides, his fingers dancing over her ribcage until Ororo was laughing herself to tears.

“Do you surrender, Goddess?”

“Never, foolish mortal!” Ororo wiggled beneath him.

“Omph!” Hank took a pillow directly to the face, pleasantly surprised to find Ororo wielding her weapon with a taunting smile.

“This means war!” He roared playfully.

Ororo leaped from the bed, holding her pillow like a policeman’s nightstick.

Hank, however, simply back flipped from the bed, landing gracefully behind her. Another pillow in hand, he whacked his giggling lover in the back playfully. Ororo howled with mirth, turning to smack him in return.

In seconds, both down-filled pillows were destroyed, showering the bedroom in feathers and leaving the couple without weaponry. Hank tossed the spent pillowcase over his shoulder before tackling his divine beauty.

As they wrestled on the floor, someone approached the bedroom and politely knocked upon the door.

Ororo, straddling Hank from where she had pinned him, breathlessly giggled before calling out.

“Yes?”

“Did you forget about our date, ‘Roro?”

“Oh!” Ororo scrambled off of Henry’s lap, leaving him chuckling on the floor and covered in feathers.

Clad in only her short pajama bottoms and a rumpled tank, she threw the bedroom door open.

“Well, this looks interesting,” Jean Grey said with laughter in her eyes. “Having fun children?”

“I was attempting to seduce her,” Hank said from the floor. “But she decided pelting me with pillows would be more fun.”

“Quiet, man,” Ororo tossed over her shoulder, shaking her head. The beautiful mutant turned to her best friend with an apologetic smile. “Give me fifteen to shower and change and get rid of the man. I will meet you downstairs.”

Jean was quite obviously holding back laughter as Ororo closed the bedroom door. When she turned back to Hank, he raised a dark brow.

“Fifteen minutes?”

She rolled her sapphire eyes playfully. “You are incorrigible.”

“Yes, and you love me all the same.”

“Forever and ever, my darling.”

~**~

January 1991

He checked the data again, frowning when nothing seemed to happen. Weary from the last month’s research, Henry put a hand to his eyes. Everything in him was exhausted, wanting only the comfort of his bed.

And, perhaps, the company he so long denied himself.

It had been pure cowardice, hiding from her over the last six months. How could he face her? How could he ask her to accept this…thing he had become?

Oh, he put on a good show for everyone he worked with. Hank McCoy had, after all, been fighting for mutant rights since his teens. Now in his thirties, he was looked upon as a noble knight on a quest. At one time, just scant months ago, it seemed that nothing could stop his rise to the top.

Even after accepting a position at Brand, which kept him away from Xavier’s School for extended periods, he still “had it all”. A fast-tracked career, a beautiful fiancée… he lived a charmed life, in spite of “ or perhaps because of “ his status as a mutant.

Now, he struggled every morning just to look into a mirror.

Her phone calls went unreturned, messages ignored, letters unopened. Every day Henry told himself that he would tell her and every night, he broke that vow.

So it was a great surprise when she came waltzing into his laboratory.

“I am looking for Doctor Henry McCoy,” said a familiar voice, catching Hank’s immediate attention.

He would know that voice anywhere. “Oh, my stars and garters.” His whisper was lost amid the hum of machinery and voices.

Hank looked up in time to see her turn. Her long white hair floated around her as she searched the immediate area for him. Unable to escape, no matter how he wanted to, Henry straightened his back.

“Henry?”

She knew him. Without him saying a word or even moving a muscle, her eyes lit with recognition at a mere glance. Shame filtered into his heart and mind, making the urge to look away from her piercing gaze almost painful.

“By the Bright Lady,” she breathed, audible only to his enhanced hearing. “Henry?”

“Ororo.” Her name came from his lips in a plea, a prayer.

Her beautiful form came around the laboratory table as swiftly as a summer wind. Ororo wrapped him into her arms, surrounding him with the scent of lilac and rain. Henry’s eyes stung with tears as he pulled her close.

It had been so long since he had held her…had she always fit so perfectly in his arms?

“What happened?” She demanded when they parted. “When did this happen?”

Those soothing hands went to his face, threading through the blue fur that now covered his body. She took in every inch of his new form with those warm blue eyes, her hands touching everywhere she could reach.

“I…” he faltered and cleared his throat before continuing. “It was an experiment that, I fear, was a success.”

“The serum,” she caught on quickly. “To activate dormant mutations.”

“Yes,” Hank admitted. “It worked.”

“So I see,” Ororo reached up to touch him. “You are quite blue, my love.”

Hank turned away from her, staring down at his clawed hands. When Ororo reached for him, he stared at the contrast of her dark flesh against his indigo fur. Without thinking about the ramifications of it, Henry instinctively pulled away from her.

The hurt snapped through his fiancée like a whip.

“You felt the need to hide this from me?” Ororo whispered, pain in her every word. “Why?”

“I am a monster,” Hank said quietly. “How can you look at me as though nothing has changed?”

“Because nothing has,” her voice rose several notches, drawing attention from the others in the lab.

Henry took her elbow and steered her into his office, closing the door behind them. Ororo tossed her handbag onto the uncluttered desk and crossed her arms defensively.

“Look at me,” she snapped harshly. “Henry, look at me.”

He could not raise his eyes to hers. Months of avoidance suddenly seemed preferable to this inevitable confrontation. “I am sorry, Ororo.”

“No,” she shot back instantly. “You are not letting this come between us.”

“It already has,” he replied quietly. “I am a different person.”

“The hell you are,” Ororo moved toward him, reaching for his face.

Hank pulled himself from her reach. Her hands fell to her sides. When, at last, he lifted his gaze to hers, he noticed the tears falling from her eyes. Everything in him wanted to reach for her, to soothe her fears away.

But until he knew who he was now, he could not make her his wife.

“You should return to New York,” he said as gently as he could. “We need some time apart, Ororo.”

“No. Hank.”

“I’m sorry.” He whispered, meeting her eyes and praying she could understand. “I truly am.”

She reached for her purse and spoke while brushing past him, tears in her tone. “Not as sorry as you will be when you realize I just walked out this door and I am not coming back.”

True to form, Ororo slammed the door as she left his office. Hank put both of his clawed hands to his face, crumpling to the tiled floor as sorrow overtook his heart. Broken sobs filled the silence of his office.

His laboratory assistants, wisely, never mentioned that they could hear the sound of his heart breaking.

~**~

Now

She was still as beautiful as she had been that day, Hank mused. He watched her move through the Rec Room quickly, efficiently straightening the various misplaced items the children had strewn throughout the room during the day.

Though it had been several weeks since her tragic miscarriage, Hank found no reason to return to Washington just yet. Most of his work could be done from the mansion, leaving him time to nurse his friend back to health.

Logan had not yet arrived nor sent word. Every day that passed without his appearance lanced Storm’s heart. She never showed that it bothered her, but Hank knew her better than most. He could read in every expression, every movement, that the Wolverine’s abandonment had cut her deeply.

Beast knew something about abandoning Storm. He had left her alone and adrift once before, just after his ill-fated experiment on dormant mutations. It had taken him years to win her back, to regain his friend if not his lover.

He would still move mountains for her, if she only asked. There was nothing he would not give for the woman he had so willingly given his heart at such a tender age. She had won him over from the day she entered the mansion, a stunning beauty of only fifteen.

One of her brows had arched, he remembered clearly, and she spoke in a ringing tone.

So, this is where you play crusaders and infidels.

She had his heart from that moment on.

“What are you thinking about, Blue?”

Hank smiled broadly as Ororo dropped onto the loveseat beside him. He shifted the paperwork on his lap, allowing her to pull his laptop computer across her thighs.

“You, actually,” he answered honestly. “The day we met.”

“Crusaders and infidels?” Her lips quirked into an amused smile. “I was suitably unimpressed.”

“Don’t I know it,” he grinned in response, flashing his canines. “I believe you referred to me as a circus performer.”

Ororo covered her mouth with one hand, grinning at him from behind her manicured fingertips.

“I was terrible.”

“You were fascinating,” he countered. “Not even Charles knew what to do with you.”

“Oh, yes he did.” Ororo chuckled, looking faraway for a moment. “He knew all he had to do was put me into your hands.”

“As though I knew what to do with you.”

His friend reached over, lightly swatting him on the shoulder. She folded her long legs under her backside, curling up beside him as they had done for years. Her eyes were drawn to the crackle and pop of the fire, a deep sadness coming over her lovely face.

“No word as of yet?” Hank asked carefully.

Her short white hair trembled as she shook her head. “No.”

“He will come,” Hank assured her with more conviction than he felt.

“Perhaps,” Ororo said softly. Her hand, as though she still felt the phantom of her lost child deep inside, moved to her abdomen.

“How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” she admitted.

“You need more rest, my dear.” Hank moved his papers and laptop to the coffee table before standing. “Let me get your…”

He halted when her warm, soothing hand slid into his. Turning to her, he noted the sorrow in her eyes that told him her smile lied.

“Sit with me, for just a moment.”

Unable to resist her, Hank lowered himself back to the settee. Ororo, as she had done countless times a decade ago, curled into his side. Hank wrapped one furry arm about her shoulders, pulling her closer.

They sat in companionable silence for some time, watching the fire burn brightly in the hearth. Hank could sense that she wanted to say something to him, but she held it back. His regrets began to eat at him again.

If he had trusted her to accept him, if he had only given her time to adjust before pushing her away, things could have been so different.

“I always thought,” she began as though reading his mind. “That you would come back.”

“To you?” Hank swallowed with difficulty.

Ororo was silent for a moment. “To the school. And then to me.”

He squeezed her shoulders gently. “I always thought it would be you and I hoping for children at this juncture.”

She turned in his arms, touching his face softly. “I did, too.”

The need for honesty, to assure her that not every man to enter her life would abandon her drove Hank to say something he should have kept to himself.

“I may have turned my back on you, Ororo, but my heart never turned.” He took a deep breath, keeping his eyes on hers. “My only regret in this life is that I let you walk out that door.”

Without warning, his dear friend moved into his lap. Her arms wound around his neck as she surrounded him. He buried his face in her hair, his hand flat against her back to hold her as close as flesh would allow him. Hot tears slid onto his neck from her beautiful eyes. He could feel his own surface as she sighed.

“My only regret is that I walked out. I’m so sorry, Hank.”

He held her more tightly, wondering what this bout of honesty would do to their friendship. Hank kissed her hair, wanting to keep her in the protective circle of his arms forever.

The moment, however, was broken by the scream of a motorcycle pulling into the driveway.

~**~

On silent feet she crept toward the building. Her training in martial arts came in handy as two guards spotted her black-clothed figure moving toward them.

Not a sound broke the stillness as she dropped each onto the rain-slick earth. She paused, listening for sounds that they had been alerted as to her presence. When nothing but the caw of a distant bird and the chirping of crickets in the night reached her carefully trained ears, she negotiated the fence easily.

The girl known as Shadowcat phased through the molecular structure most only saw as a wall, entering the building with slightly a pause. With the building’s blueprints in her mind, she slipped through each wall, moving through the corridors faster than the cameras could detect.

When she reached the computer mainframe, she darted through the room, phasing the innards of each security camera until she knew she was wholly alone.

Her head covering came off as she plopped into the enormous chair. Several monitors were displaying various functions of the company, three keyboards at her fingertips. Shadowcat took a deep breath, shoving down the panic that welled inside of her.

If the X-Men caught her, she’d be one dead Kitten.

“Ok, breathe, Kitty.” She took another deep breath. “Do it, get it done, fast.”

Gloved fingers flew over the main keyboard. Monitors flashed at her commands, bringing up dozens of files and blueprints. Her dark brown eyes absorbed as much information as she could. Their information was extensive, more so than she had anticipated.

When, at last, she had gathered everything she needed, Shadowcat reached into her pocket to retrieve a slender computer disk. After searching for the drive, she slipped it inside the computer and immediately booted the virus.

In seconds, alarms were screaming all through the compound. Cool under this kind of pressure, Kitty simply continued working. Several “bugs” in the virus cropped up demanding she remain a few more moments to correct the problems.

Someone was yelling outside the door. Kitty jumped up, grabbed the disk and tore off through the walls again. She was breathing hard when she found the night air again. Her heart in her throat, she raced for the stolen pick up she’d obtained earlier that evening.

Gunshots rang out. Kitty pushed her body into a state of constant flux, ensuring that the metallic bullets cut right through her. She dove into the pick up and revved the engine to life.

They gave chase, but she was clever enough to lose them. As she returned to the mansion that was her home, she pulled the disk from her pocket and stared at it.

“Too bad, Trask,” she said to the silence. “Guess you’ll have to start over, huh?”
Chapter Five: Broken by Gaineewop


Chapter Five: Broken

I can't say that I'm not lost
And at fault
I can't say that I don't
Love the light and the dark
I can't say that I don't
Know that I am alive
And I love what I feel
I could show you tonight
~Nelly Furtado



“Stay here.”

Ororo looked at her friend as though he had gone utterly mad. “Are you insane?”

They both startled a little at hearing the large French doors open and slam shut. Storm leaped from Hank’s lap, scrambling to stand up and make herself presentable. Though her heart had just been laid bare before Beast, she would not let Logan see it.

All she wanted him to see was calm, aloof, cold.

Hank stood as well, apparently heedless to the secondary doors creaking open as he grabbed her biceps in his massive hands. His touch demanded that Ororo meet his icy blue gaze. What she found in Hank’s eyes momentarily stunned and terrified her. Anger so white-hot it nearly burned her was clearly written in those usually kind blue pools. She wondered, for a moment, whether or not Logan would survive this meeting.

“Stay out of this, Ororo,” Hank demanded of her. “I mean it.”

“Hank,” Ororo shook her head, unaware of how close she was standing to her big, blue friend. “Don’t. It’s not worth it.”

“Let me be the judge of that.”

Heavy footfalls came to a halt in the entryway of the sitting room. Ororo’s eyes slammed shut at the crash of a duffel hitting the pristine hardwood floor.

“What’s goin’ on here?”

Four words. Logan’s tone was razor sharp, the unspoken innuendo crackling in the open air. Ororo felt Hank tense, his hands slowly releasing her arms.

“Does it really matter, Wolverine?”

“Got a problem, Furball?”

Swallowing over the lump steadily forming in her throat, Ororo forced her eyes to open. She immediately wished she had simply kept them closed.

Logan stood, dirty and rumpled, in the entryway, a lit cigar hanging loosely from one hand. Hank, for his part, stood unmoved in the center of the room, glaring at Logan for all he was worth. Ororo realized too late that she was about to be at the center of a mutation-fueled pissing contest.

Both animalistic men seemed casual to the outside observer, but the woman standing between them knew better. Feral, predatory, and poised for immediate action, they were sizing one another up, mentally cataloguing weaknesses and strengths for the upcoming battle. It reminded Storm of rams during mating season, though she knew this clash was likely to be far more violent than a simple, to the point head-butting.

Ororo put her hand to Hank’s arm, trying to stay this lunacy before it got too far. A low, nearly inaudible growl sounded from the doorway the instant Ororo’s fingers grazed her friend’s fur. As though in answer, Hank bared his sharp canines, an open invitation for violence.

“You, my boy, are incredibly late.”

Rage flashed in Logan’s eyes. He looked to Ororo, and then back to Hank when she merely stared at him. He lifted the cigar, drawing in a lungful of thick, sweet smoke.

“What’d I tell you about callin’ me ‘boy’?”

It happened in the blink of an eye.

Hank roughly pushed Ororo out of harm’s way as he rushed at the awaiting Wolverine. Snikt! Six adamantium claws escaped confinement, waiting for Beast’s assault. Ororo landed in a heap on the hearth, narrowly avoiding the singeing flames. She scrambled to her feet as both her past and her present vanished into the foyer.

“Logan! Hank! Stop this!”

Neither of them paid her any mind as the clash of two feral mutants sang through the foyer. Logan’s smaller body caught Beast’s and they tumbled through the glass of the doors. The sound of splintering wood and the tinkling of glass rained through the hall, heralding all that was to come. Ororo, crying for Piotr and Bobby, chased them into the lawn while ludicrously thinking she would have to get the front door repaired. Again.

Clouds broke overhead, locked in ancient harmony with the roiling thunder. Rain soaked the earth as Logan and Hank circled one another like jungle cats on the expansive lawn. Ororo tripped over the broken glass and splintered wood, trying in vain to stop this madness before it could go further.

With ferocious snarls, the two mutants flew at one another again. Ororo instinctively covered her eyes, not wanting to see the insanity before her. One of them “ she could no longer tell which without looking “ howled. The other replied with a low, almost sinister roar.

Morbid curiosity opened her eyes to the melee again.

Beast and Wolverine stood toe to toe in the thick darkness. Their legs covered in mud, rain soaking them until Beast turned black they met blow for blow. Ororo pulled up short several meters from them, watching the titanic collision with something akin to awe.

She blinked the fat, heavy raindrops from her eyes, too stunned to even attempt reining in the tempestuous elements. When Bobby and Piotr appeared scant seconds later, she held out both arms to keep them from rushing into battle.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, a long-forgotten conversation with Charles flittered to the surface. He had said, during her training so many years ago, that men would never come to blows with a man they cared nothing for. Only when emotions “ love or hatred “ became involved would true and horrifying violence ensue.

In that one, fleeting instant, Ororo understood Hank. It was not her honor he fought for, though he likely thought it was. Not even her heart and hurt could claim they had pushed the Beast into battle. No. It was nothing like that.

Hank had welcomed Logan into his life, into the lives of the X-Men with open arms. He told Ororo, on no uncertain terms, that he trusted Logan to take care of things. And for a year, Logan had proved Hank correct at every turn.

She understood his need to leave, to just be for a little while. Though it still hurt that Logan had abandoned her, she knew his wanderlust was as much a part of him as adamantium.

Henry, on the other hand, only saw abandonment.

“No,” Ororo ordered her younger men softly. “Let them fight. When it gets out of hand, we’ll take steps.”

“You sure?” Bobby said, his hands cracking as ice formed over them.

“She knows what is best.” Piotr replied, though his dark eyes showed indecision.

“Just stay on your toes, boys.”

The sickening thud of blows landing on flesh made Ororo’s stomach churn unpleasantly. A metallic ring echoed every time Logan’s adamantium skeleton received a blow. It was apparent, in just moments that they were evenly matched.

Though Logan’s advanced healing and super-strong skeleton were formidable, he was having a hard time getting Hank to stand still long enough to hit. Her blue friend bounced and flipped, managing to stay just out of reach of those deadly claws while still getting a shot or two in.

Frustration was making Logan even angrier and it showed in the dark flash of his eyes. He growled, his teeth gnashing together in ferocious rage. He got a good shot in, catching Beast’s face with his adamantium-laced arm.

Hank fell back, but was on his feet and out of range in an instant. Ororo grabbed on to both Bobby and Piotr’s shirts, keeping them from moving forward. She feared that in the confusion, one of her students might be hurt inadvertently.

A beat later, Logan’s claws came an inch from Hank’s chest and Ororo’s blood ran cold.

“All right,” she released the boys. “That is enough.”

In seconds, metal-covered Colossus and frozen Iceman dashed onto the lawn. Ororo, for her part, allowed the stinging sensation to overcome her eyes as she allowed the winds to lift her. She spun, creating her signature mini-cyclone and dashed into the fray.

The two fighting ferals ignored the sudden ice slick beneath their feet and the looming presence of a metallic man. They were only concerned with each other, even heedless to the biting Arctic winds Ororo unleashed on the formerly manicured lawns.

Deciding enough was truly enough as the men turned to one another again with murder in their eyes, she directed her winds to the battle until she hovered over them like a force of nature. Then she landed, with perfect precision, in the center of Beast and Wolverine.

They both halted dead in their tracks, neither of them willing to hurt her. She held both arms up, her eyes glowing white while her body crackled with electricity.

“Both of you,” she bellowed as an angry mother to unruly children. “Inside. NOW!”

“But…”

“’Ro…”

“I SAID NOW!”

~**~

He sat on a barstool, like a chastised child, watching while she bandaged up the furry mutant sitting placidly at the kitchen table. Her strong, feminine hands worked quickly and without any hint of tenderness or remorse.

They had obviously ticked her off.

Logan kept his eyes on them, straining to hear any snippet of conversation. There was none, however, as she had not said a word since ordering them back into the house. She’d slammed around the kitchen for a while, gathering supplies to clean Beast’s wounds.

He’d tried to not feel slightly annoyed that she had not even spared his injuries a glance. Sure, he was already healed and Beast was still bleeding, but a little concern wouldn’t have killed her. Scowling across at the other two, he reached into his pocket for another cigar.

“Do not light that,” Ororo snapped suddenly, her back still facing him.

“Huh?” Logan blinked, confused.

“Artie’s asthma is flaring up, we can’t have smoke in the house,” Ororo continued. She testily snapped her gloves off, announcing that Beast would live.

Logan looked at her as though she’d lost her damn mind. “Artie’s four floors up and the windows are open.”

“I said do not light it,” Ororo slammed the first aid kit closed and roughly moved away from Beast.

The big, blue mutant didn’t even look ashamed of himself. He was watching Ororo with the same sort of muted surprise that Logan was sure reflected on his face. The simple fact that Beast was watching her, however, made Logan’s blood boil in his veins. There was something in that gaze that got his hackles up.

Ororo came across the room to Logan, a scowl etched on her beautiful face. She roughly grabbed his face, checking him for injuries while bruising his chin.

“You’re healed?” The question was curt.

“Yeah,” he replied. “But you’re breakin’ my chin, darlin’.”

Ororo released him roughly, moving away quickly. His eyes drifted to Hank’s, meeting his for only a heartbeat before Storm drew their attention again. She was busy tucking the first aid kit away, washing her hands…buying herself time. Logan could read in the soft crease of her brow, the stiff set to her shoulders that she was trying like hell to keep her grip.

Hank moved off of his stool slowly, making his way toward Ororo. Logan’s hands clenched at seeing them so close together, though he wished he could deny it.

“Your medications,” Hank was saying to Ororo. Logan’s ears twitched at the words, worry hitting him in the gut with more force than Beast’s fist.

“Yes, thank you,” Ororo murmured. She swallowed a handful of pills dry, taking the orange juice Hank poured quickly.

“If you need me, I will be in the parlor,” Hank said, casting an angry glare at Wolverine over his shoulder.

Logan simply shrugged one shoulder at him. The indigo mutant left without another word, letting the kitchen door swing closed behind him. Logan, alone with Ororo for the first time now, inhaled deeply before expelling the breath audibly.

She was standing at the butcher’s block, both palms flat against the marble countertop. Logan slid down from the barstool, moving closer to her inch by inch. She looked so vulnerable all of the sudden, as though the weight of her demons now threatened to destroy her.

He hadn’t known what he was going to say and he still didn’t. During the long, heartbroken drive from Monterrey, Logan had thought about what to say when he saw her. He’d wondered how she was doing, some five weeks after the loss of their child. He’d hoped she could forgive him his long absence, that she would find some way to understand why he chose to leave her call unanswered.

The instant he was inside the mansion, he scented something on the air. Moving into the sitting room, seeing Ororo and Hank in what looked to be something more than a friendly embrace sent the animal within him screaming to the surface.

She’d been his, carried his child, Hank shouldn’t be touching her. For any reason.

Rage and jealousy overtook him, demanding that he lay claim to what he felt belonged to him. He would not allow her to slip away from him. Ororo was his, and that was one thing he could no longer deny. His five weeks away had taught him that, if nothing else.

“’Ro?”

In the mere second it took her to turn to him, he watched her cover up every vulnerability she had. Cold as ice, her eyes met his, her shoulders straightening almost imperceptibly.

“No,” he demanded, reaching for her face. “Don’t do that. Don’t shut me out.”

His palms cupped her cheeks, his own emotional armor suddenly around his ankles. He wanted her to see, he needed this woman to understand things he would never be able to put into words. It shocked him, down to the bottom of his fractured soul, how much she hurt him by simply closing herself off.

“’Ro, don’t.” He was begging, uncaring that Beast could likely hear every word he was saying.

“Where have you been?” She replied, her eyes still frosty. “Where have you been?” Her hand struck the marble of the counter with a resounding bang!

“I’m sorry,” he apologized almost immediately, hating himself for doing so.

Ororo’s entire body snapped to life in that instant. She reached up for his hands, tearing them away from her suddenly distraught face. Logan fought her, reaching for her even as she attempted to escape. He knew, without a doubt, that if he let go she would be lost to him forever. That simple thought terrified him.

“I needed you,” she said on a half-sob while struggling to get free. “I asked you to come home. I asked for you.”

“I know,” he countered, wrapping her into his arms.

“Get away from me.” She wriggled in his grasp, even as he pulled her flush against his chest. “Get your goddamn hands off of me, Wolverine!”

He wouldn’t let her go. He couldn’t. If he had to take several million megawatts of electricity through his super-conducting body, he would.

His hand tangled in her hair, pulling her even closer as they slowly crumpled to the floor. Ororo wept against his chest, finally giving in and melting into his arms. Logan swallowed thickly, rocking her gently, shushing her as soothingly as he could while fighting his own tears.

“Our baby,” she cried between broken sobs.

Logan felt his heart clench and that fist-to-the-gut feeling came back a hundred times worse. Ororo collapsed against him, her slender arms winding around his neck so he could hold her more securely. He felt a single tear slip from his eyes as he tightened his arms around her. Her tiny body, which had often reminded him of her unshakeable strength, seemed withered.

“I was alone,” she continued, her hands clutching at his jacket. “I was all alone.”

Logan closed his eyes, drawing her more fully into his lap.

“Not anymore.”

~**~


He lay beside her in the still night, his hands folded under the pillow that smelled like her. She lay beside him, her own pillow wet with tears.

It had taken a long time to get her upstairs. She alternated between fighting him, screaming for him to get out of the mansion, and weeping her broken heart all over his shirt. He weathered the fickle changes in her mood as patiently as he could, finally managing to get both of them into the privacy of her bedroom suite.

“It happened so fast,” she was saying quietly.

“Tell me,” Logan prodded, scooting a little closer to her on the bed.

She sniffled, brushing a wayward lock of white from her eyes. “I was lying in bed, Goddess, I’d been so tired. I had a stomach cramp, but I thought…”

Logan reached over, lightly touching her nose. She drew in a shuddering breath before continuing.

“I got up, thinking it was just the start of my cycle,” Ororo sighed, one of her hands drifting down to her flat belly. “The pain was blinding. I fell and the next thing I knew, Kitty was screaming and Piotr was carrying me down a hospital corridor.”

I shoulda been here, he thought, letting his hand cover hers where their child had once grown.

“Everything hurt,” Ororo went on, staring at their joined hands. “It still hurts.”

Prepared this time for her bout of tears, Logan leaned forward until their noses touched. It was a simple, intimate gesture that Ororo had already compared to mated wolves. He nuzzled her gently, remaining silent while she showed him her shattered heart.

She wiped at her own tears, the fingers of her free hand entwining with his. Logan kept close to her, wanting his lover to understand that he was here, that nothing would take him away. Ororo gave him a small, teary smile, relaxing against the pillows again.

He spoke only after a long silence.

“’Ro?”

“Mmm?” She released a shuddering breath.

“Would ya…” he cleared his throat, averting his gaze from her eyes before continuing. “Would you have kept the baby? If you’d known and all?”

Ororo replied without so much as a pause. “Yes. Of course.”

Logan swallowed thickly, his free hand picking at a fuzz ball on her soft blue duvet. “Why?”

A long, tension-filled pause followed his whispered question. Ororo’s thumb traced over the knuckles of the hand he kept in hers. She slid her leg closer to his, nudging him with her painted toes until he looked at her.

“Because, Logan,” she said softly. “I loved that child. Even without knowing him or her, I loved it.”

“I know what ya mean,” he whispered so quietly she might have missed it.

He thought she heard him, though, as she wrapped him back into her arms. Her head rested on his shoulder as they lapsed into silence, consumed with their own thoughts.

When, at last, sleep came to claim them, they drifted off still entwined from head to toe.

~**~

Henry sat in the sitting room, his hands in his dark blue hair. He stared at the fire as sounds from above gradually fell silent. He had listened as Logan fought to keep Ororo with him, he had waited for Ororo’s voice to actually betray fear or hatred.

Instead, there was only hurt and longing. Those were emotions only the Wolverine could assuage. It was time, again, for the Beast to step back.

He swallowed thickly, remembering all those years ago when he had left her behind. It was not trust in her that he lacked. No, he knew she would never turn him away. It was himself that he had so many problems with. Henry had had to face many things after the accident, including his own vanity.

And he dealt with the prejudice of looking so inhuman every day. What kind of man would he have been if he hid away from the world with Ororo? How would his life, his ideals have changed?

When the front door opened and closed again, Hank looked up. Bewildered, he tilted his head, watching for whomever had been outside.

“Kitty?”

The girl stopped in her tracks. Hank was on his feet in an instant, recognizing that wherever she had been, she was wearing her X-Men uniform. Her hair was mussed and a long, angry mark covered her cheek from her ear to her chin.

“What have you done?”

“Nothing!” She deflected immediately. “I didn’t do anything.”

Hank crossed his arms over his chest and raised a single, inquiring brow at her. He knew the stance practically screamed: “I don’t believe you”.

Kitty sighed, shaking her head. “Don’t worry about it, Dr. McCoy.”

“I have worried about it and I will continue to do so…”

“Hey, was that Wolverine’s motorcycle outside?” The girl deflected masterfully.

Hank scowled. “Yes.”

“Huh.” Kitty scowled. “Guess I’ll wait til morning to say hello to him.”

Before he could stop himself, Beast grumbled. “I already said quite a bit.”

“So I can see,” Kitty cocked her head, studying him carefully. “Nice shiner. That cut need stitches?”

“No, actually, it was not that dee-“ Hank halted, narrowing his eyes. “Very tricky of you, Katherine.”

She flashed him a toothy grin. “Don’t I get ‘off the hook’ points for that one?”

“Perhaps.” Hank smiled, shaking his head. With a sigh, he beckoned her to follow him. “Come, let me clean that cut for you.”

“Don’t worry, Dr. McCoy,” Kitty said as they moved into the kitchen. “It’s nothing.”

An odd chill passed over him as he led her into the kitchen. “My dear, nothing usually turns into something when you least expect it.”
Chapter Six: Messenger by Gaineewop


Chapter Six: Messenger

The worst is over now and we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high and steal my pain away
There's so much left to learn and no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain
Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
~Seether ft. Amy Lee



The weeks after Logan’s return to the mansion, things remained somewhat strained between he and Ororo. Though they often spent the nights together in chaste slumber, neither of them could find the words to console or confront one another in the daylight.

Instead, life moved on within the stone walls of the school. Classes continued; each mutant student working hard toward that normal life as though knights on a Grail quest. Ororo watched from the staircase landing as a group of teens moved into a classroom, some eager and some not so much for the long hours of American Literature.

His wings now displayed proudly through custom cut clothing, Angel paused in the hallway. Winged and gentle as his codename would suggest, her young charge had come far in the limited years he had been among the X-Men.

As though he felt her eyes on him, Angel’s soft blue eyes met hers. There was appreciation of her in that gaze; thanks for taking him in when he thought all was lost. Ororo felt, in that stolen moment, what she thought Charles had as he watched them all grow from unsure teenagers into solid, mature adults.

She returned his kind smile with one of her own, shooing him off to class. Though well into his twenties, Angel had much to learn before he could take on a class himself. He had expressed so much interest in the running of the school, Ororo wondered if perhaps he would take the torch when she passed it on. Ororo knew instinctively that he would make a wonderful headmaster.

When Angel had closed the classroom door behind him, Ororo raised a brow at young Jimmy, whom skirted the corner and bolted for the room. He seemed to be running late, again. Leech, as he was affectionately codenamed, tossed her an apologetic smile before darting inside.

A soft Southern accent drew her attention next. Marie, having discarded her codename some time ago, was arguing with the school’s grocer over a cordless phone. She was dressed as an adult now, in tastefully selected slacks and a pleated white blouse. The now-human girl waved to Ororo, keeping the phone to her ear while moving into the office down the hall.

Artie, whom had been at Xavier’s since the tender age of twelve, was walking past as Marie vanished beneath the wide staircase. He and Bobby Drake were discussing the finer points of a decent touch football rematch, which was to take place in the autumn afternoon. Ororo could not help but chuckle when Bobby caught the back of the other boy’s neck with a carelessly slung arm. The two practically radiated affection and camaraderie.

The long foyer was empty for only a moment. Psylocke “ the newest staff member “ walked in from the front door with her class. They had been discussing earth sciences with Henry out of doors, where they could see and touch the things they studied. The violet haired Englishwoman laughed heartily at something the furred mutant ambassador said to her.

Children removed their light fall coats, chatting amicably about their projects, which were due before the end of the term. Ororo watched each of them scatter into different parts of the mansion, an ancient longing settling somewhere deep inside of her.

As the room emptied again, Logan appeared from the southern wing. He had a toolbox in his hand, his famous black Stetson cocked haphazardly on his head. She was unsure whether he sensed or scented her, but he paused below her. His free hand, which held an unopened beer, came up to tip his hat back so he could look at her properly.

Her smile was instantaneous and genuinely warm. How could he not know how at home he appeared here? Tension never set his shoulders nor twitched his jaw as he ran about the mansion making minor repairs. Did he truly not see it or did he deny it with every breath?

Logan gave her a lopsided and lazy smile. Her heart flip-flopped in her chest, a tingle forming in her womb.

Afraid of what she was feeling, she turned to ascend the staircase, leaving Logan watching as she moved away from him. Needing to be out of doors herself, she easily navigated the halls she knew so well, taking the back staircase from just outside of her bedroom door. When she reached the kitchen, the nature-bound mutant headed outside.

Immune to the cold, though the early autumn chill was a welcome relief from the balmy days of summer, Ororo let her feet guide her. She eased down the garden path, letting her manicured fingers lightly touch the dying leaves of now dormant trees as she did so. The air was crisp and fresh with the onset of fall.

The season often saddened Ororo. Though storms were more frequent, she could almost feel the earth’s full bosom wither beneath her feet. She adored the changing leaves and the burst of color amid a deep russet earth, but the loss of spring and summer always gave her a slightly melancholy attitude.

On a heavy sigh, she turned a corner, following the paths toward the untamed wood that bordered the secluded private school.

Her thoughts were drawn back to the children. She inherited guardianship of five mutant teenagers with the death of Charles. Many of them were well on their way to adulthood, no longer in need of supervision as they moved on with their lives.

Until her miscarriage of Logan’s child, she had not realized how much she wanted children of her own. Oh, she loved all of her charges, adored watching them grow into wonderful adults, but there was something only true motherhood could give her.

Ororo turned her face toward the chilled sky, her fingers lightly dancing over the branches of a barren lilac bush. She wanted children of her own. Mortality now weighed heavily around her as she survived so much of her family. Her clock seemed to have begun its undeniable ticking.

She passed the monuments of death for her family without really seeing them. Her thoughts were consumed with babies and the overwhelming need to settle herself. She desperately needed to center her life.

Could Logan stand beside her for this new life she wanted? Something in her longed for him to be her mate, the father of future children. Fear that he would leave her again, that his ingrained wanderlust would draw him further from the school combated with hope inside of her, making the wintry mutant wary of broaching the subject.

Nothing could be decided without speaking to him.

She would not even entertain thoughts of traveling that path with Henry. His role as an ambassador kept him away from them for long stretches of time. No, that ship had sailed some time ago, no matter what her heart told her.

Having enough of shirking her responsibilities for one day, Ororo turned back toward the mansion. Of course, she need not rush. They could survive a few moments longer while she enjoyed the chilled fall air.

~**~

It was during the maddening dinner rush that the doorbell rang. Having just entered the hall from the Rec Room “ where he’d been ushering children into the dining hall “ Hank called out that he would answer it.

Ororo’s “Thank you!” rang through the halls.

Henry opened the front door, wondering who on earth could be visiting at his hour. He ran a furred hand through his blue mane, wondering how Ororo dealt with so many children every day of her life. He loved the students, but they could easily drive a psychopath sane.

“Hello, Henry.”

Startled from his musings at the seductively familiar voice, a wide smile curved Hank’s lips. He revealed his canines with good humor, reaching out to envelope the visitor in a warm embrace.

“Trish! My dear, you look as ravishing as ever.”

The slender, dark haired beauty accepted Beast’s enormous embrace with a laugh. Hank squeezed her as tightly as he dared before holding her out to have a look at her.

“How are you doing, Cookie Monster?” She asked, a fond twinkle in her gray-blue eyes.

“Wonderfully, actually,” he replied. Taking her under his arm, he led her into the chaotic mansion.

Patricia Tilby “ a reporter for NCBC New Network “ happened to be a long time friend of Henry’s. They had met in college some years ago and while she had harbored a rather blatant attraction him, neither ever acted on those feelings. She was the first to learn of his secondary mutation, to which she had simply replied “Hey, don’t shed on my sofa, Blue. Where’s the last of the Kung Pao Chicken?”

It had been some time since he’d seen her last. Trish covered mutant stories all over the world and the last he heard, she’d been in the country of Wakanda reporting on various human on mutant crimes.

Her throaty voice sent a shiver down Beast’s spine, but he thought it best to not dwell on it. Things were already more than confused in his heart and mind.

“And you, my dear?” Henry asked as she placed her briefcase down. “Are you writing an expose on private school scandals?”

His teasing made her narrow those soulful eyes playfully. One of Trish’s most valuable attributes was her vulnerability on camera. She could display a wealth of emotions while keeping her reporter’s voice calm and collected.

“Actually, no,” she cleared her throat. “I need to speak with you and your friend, Ororo.”

Before Henry could reply, two young boys dashed into the room. Henry pulled Trish out of harm’s way without thinking about it. The Nerf ball being fought over was quickly confiscated and the boys sent “sulking “ into the dining hall.

“Children.” Hank grinned, tossing the ball expertly in the air.

Trish watched the ball bounce in his massive, blue hands for a moment before snatching it from him. She tossed it over her shoulder, all hints of good humor gone.

“Patricia,” Henry said, suddenly concerned. “Whatever is the matter?”

“You’ve got a problem, Blue. A big one.” Her transparent eyes betrayed concern and fear.

He gauged her carefully. Though he trusted her judgment and reporter’s instinct, Trish did have a flair for the overdramatic. If she had gotten wind of something he needed to know, it was entirely like her to overreact and show up at his doorstep.

However, the fact that she was not in a pressed pantsuit but soft blue jeans, an NYU sweatshirt and sneakers told him she had stopped on her way home. That, in Henry’s recollection, meant she had done some serious thinking on this matter.

Fear gripped his heart as he responded, steering her toward the school’s Headmistress.

“Ororo is in the kitchen.”

~**~

Logan watched with some apprehension as Ororo greeted the woman known as “Trish”. He scented nervousness on her, as well as a faint hint of something that smelled like Hank. Intrigued by this, Logan sat in the back of the room, watching the trio of them carefully.

The woman was shorter than Storm, nearly reaching Hank’s height. She wore blue-black hair at her shoulders, her sharp eyes a curiously grayish blue color. Her slightly almond shaped eyes and long, pointed nose seemed somewhat eastern, as though she had someone of Asian or Middle Eastern decent in her family line. Her movements were of a person in constant motion; Logan doubted the woman could sit still and just breathe for longer than forty-five seconds.

Hank, on the other hand, looked as though he were comfortable with this intriguing female. He touched her more often than he did Storm, which was surprising. A hand on her back to lead her into the room, a squeeze of her shoulder, a tap to get her attention…it was rather revealing.

Something was happening or had happened between Hank and Trish. Logan’s curiosity was definitely piqued.

“I’ve heard so much about you,” ‘Ro was saying as she took a seat on the settee in her office.

“I can say I’ve heard nothing but ‘Ororo this’ and ‘Ororo that’ for the last ten years.” Trish replied, giving Hank a teasing smirk as she took the squashy armchair. “I can’t believe we haven’t met until now.”

“Yes,” Ororo was grinning widely. “Something does always seem to come up.”

Logan watched the byplay between the two women carefully. Over the last weeks, he had not scented or seen anything between Beast and Storm even remotely similar to what he’d walked in on his first night back, but it never hurt to be careful. Ororo was to be his and no trip down memory lane with Hank was going to get in the way of that.

He noticed right away that neither woman looked particularly on guard. Ororo was open and welcoming; Trish accepting and curious. Perhaps Beast did have something going on with this woman. Logan liked that idea. A lot.

“Patricia has some news, Ororo,” Hank cut into the feminine chatter.

“Right, to business,” Trish agreed. She reached into a thick black briefcase, pulling out a slender manila folder.

“What is it?” Ororo asked, taking the folder carefully. Logan eased over to her, reading over her shoulder without making himself too noticeable.

“Someone yanked Bolivar Trask’s nose seriously out of joint,” Trish revealed quickly. “A very intelligent, if foolhardy, person broke into his secure facility and raped his computer mainframe.”

“Raped?” Hank seemed to bristle at the word.

“That’s the only word for it, Blue,” Trish said, reaching over to pat his hand. “Whoever got into the system destroyed it. All backups and external drives, too. He’s got nothing.”

“Perhaps we should be thanking that person,” Ororo said bluntly. Logan smirked.

But Trish was shaking her head, her dark hair flying about her shoulders. “This isn’t good. So long as Trask could snuggle up to his files and wish bad things on evil muties, he was controllable.”

“What’s wrong with muties?” Logan interrupted rudely from behind Ororo.

He was satisfied to see the woman jump slightly, as though she had forgotten he was even in the room. “Not a damn thing, Wolf Boy.”

Logan heard Ororo snort, though she tried covering it with a cough. “Logan…”

“What?” He asked, not taking his eyes from the cool challenge in Tilby’s.

“Patricia is on our side,” Hank said defensively. “She may not be a mutant, but she fights as hard as we do.”

“Really? I don’t remember seeing her at Alkali Lake. Or Alcatraz.”

“No, you wouldn’t have,” Beast practically snarled. “She was reporting on the heroism of the X-Men, not branding us as wild vigilantes.”

“Hank,” both women cut in before the men could come to blows. Again.

Logan respected his big, blue friend, but the rift between them had not yet healed. He knew of Beast’s history with Storm and understood his unwavering loyalty. But Hank had no idea what was going on inside of Logan himself and that caused them both pain.

Of course, Wolverine would have cheerfully submitted to Chinese Water Torture than admit that aloud.

“Sorry.” Logan’s curt, one word response made Trish smile.

“Don’t worry about it.” She flipped a lock of hair over her shoulder and promptly ignored him. “As I was saying, so long as Trask was left alone, he was marginally powerless. He lost a lot of ground after Alcatraz.”

“And now?” Ororo questioned, obviously worried. Logan could smell it on her.

“He’s been stomping around Washington for the last few weeks, screaming that the X-Men sabotaged his offices. He’s moving for an immediate sanction over the school.”

“Why was I not alerted?” Hank demanded from his perch on Ororo’s desk.

“Cause, Blue, you and Storm here are the ones he’s screaming about the most.”

“Oh, dear,” Ororo muttered, handing Logan the file she’d been glancing over.

He took the folder and flipped it open; his eyes darted over the major points, a growl bubbling up in his chest. Trask was eloquent, at least. His recent speeches at House committee meetings were well done, even if they branded Storm and Beast as some sort of guerilla commandos.

Storm, the file said blatantly, was training an army of mutants to destroy humanity. Like Charles Xavier before her, she fought for mutant rights at any cost. He had told the Senate that the altercation and protection of human beings from Phoenix and Magneto served her interests more than anything.

As for Beast, he was the devil incarnate. Having worked his way through the diplomatic ranks on Storm’s orders, he was set to influence policy that would harm human rights and uplift the mutant community’s.

“This is complete bullshit,” Logan said a moment later.

“Yeah, it is, Wolf Boy,” Trish agreed. “I’ve been putting out small fires all over Washington since I got back Stateside.”

“Has Trask revealed his plans?”

At Beast’s question, Trish paused, taking a deep breath. Logan could almost feel the other two mutants brace themselves as he did.

“Yeah. He wants Storm incarcerated for crimes against humanity and I’ll be damned shocked if your Shadowcat isn’t arrested in the next few weeks.”

Storm and Beast were immediately on their feet. “Kitty? Why Kitty?” Storm demanded.

“Cause, she walks through walls, right? Half the humans at Alcatraz saw her do it. Trask is salivating like a fat kid at a Vegas buffet. He’s already convinced more than a few people that Shadowcat is a serious problem and Storm’s egging her on.”

“Shit,” Logan said abruptly, heading for the door.

“Logan, wait,” ‘Ro called after him. “Where are you going?”

“To get Kitten the hell outta Dodge.”

Protect. That was the only thing on his mind. He didn’t give two shits what Trask or anyone else thought. No one was taking anyone from this family by force. He’d protected the students with his life once; he’d do it again. He’d grab Kitten and Pete “ cause Lord knew the boy wasn’t letting her out of his sight “ and make a mad dash for Canada. Panama. Anywhere but New York.

“Stop.”

At Ororo’s imperious command, he halted without thinking about it. Damn, but that woman had him under her thumb.

“Extracting Kitten now only makes her look guilty,” Ororo said calmly.

“Perhaps she is,” Hank interrupted quietly.

Logan and Ororo turned on him so quickly it was a wonder they didn’t fall over.

“What?” They snapped in unison.

His furry blue face was a mask of tension and concern. He looked from Trish to Ororo and finally to Logan.

“When you arrived home…that same evening, Kitty came into the mansion quite late. She was in her X-Men uniform and refused to explain her actions.”

“Henry!” Ororo threw her hands up in dismay. “Why did you not say anything?”

“I did not want to worry anyone,” he muttered as though ashamed.

“Just cause she was sneakin’ out don’t mean she did it.”

The other three gave Logan a look that said “ quite clearly “ he was kidding himself. He held his hands up in defense.

“Hey, I’m just sayin’.”

Ororo rolled her eyes at him, though he thought he caught a hint of an exasperated smile tugging at her beautiful mouth.

“Henry, what should we do?”

A massive blue hand scratched at his chin and the bestial genius met Trish’s eyes, raising a cool brow. Logan thought he caught hints of a conversation between those two that required no words. It was kinda sweet. Sorta.

“I will return to Washington immediately,” he said without taking his eyes from Trish. “I must do what I can to stop Trask’s new crusade.”

“I’m going, too. I can play at the hero angle again; it’s been a while since Alcatraz. If I start throwing around words like ‘heroism’ and ‘disrespect’, publicists are going to start frothing at the mouth.” Trish offered as she stood from the chair.

“I will do what we have always done,” Ororo chimed in. “We will carry on as though nothing has happened.”

“Me?” Logan growled as he headed to the door. “I’m gonna holler at Kitten.”

“Oh, good,” Hank said as Logan slammed out of Ororo’s office. “At least she will give him straight answers, whether she wants to or not.”

~**~

By the time Ororo got up to her bedroom after room checks, she was exhausted. Emotionally and physically, she had reached the end of her tether. With the mansion quietly slumbering around her, she eased up the back staircase that would take her from the kitchen to her room.

As she passed the bedroom Kitty and Peter shared, she clearly heard the sound of a headboard striking the wall and guttural grunts mingling with feminine moaning. The two of them were damn near insatiable.

Shaking her head, Ororo made her way to her bedroom, easily manipulating the clasp on her belt as she entered.

To her delight, Logan was already undressed, waiting for her on the enormous four-poster bed. He had the remote resting on his thigh, a beer on the nightstand, and John Wayne on the television tucked into her antique armoire.

Giving him a small, tired smile, she crossed in front of the television toward the bathroom. She discarded her teaching garb, replacing it with a soft cotton nightgown of a modest length. She removed her bra, hanging it over the towel rack in her bathroom before shutting the light off and moving back into the bedroom.

Ororo took up her hairbrush at the mirrored vanity table and sat on the stool. Brushing her short hair out was a nightly ritual, one that calmed her even after a rough day. She removed her make up, unclasped her earrings, all without a word to the man in her bed.

It was quite a surprise that, when she stood, Logan appeared behind her. His solid, masculine body pressed into her back while his arms wound around her stomach.

“Hey.”

“Hello.”

He rained soft, innocent kisses over the back of her neck, making her body suddenly tight. Desire ignited inside of her, begging for release. Oh, it had been so long. He could drown out all of the doubt and turmoil in her mind for a little while.

But she knew she had to say something before they could go further.

Clearing her throat, Ororo tilted her head up, denying him access to her skin. “Logan?”

As though he sensed her tensing in his arms, he stopped his delightful ministrations, resting his chin on her shoulder. He, obviously, was not going to release her just yet, so she placed her hands on his warm, strong arms before speaking.

“We need to talk.”

“Aw, hell,” he sighed. “No conversation ‘tween a man and a woman’s ever ended well when it starts with that sentence.”

Ororo rolled her eyes heavenward, amusement playing about her lips.

“I’ve decided something, and I need you to know about it.”

“Ok,” he nodded against her. “Shoot, darlin’.”

For several seconds, she found herself unable to say anything. Then, drawing on the courage Charles had proverbially beaten into her, she whispered.

“I want a child.”

Silence stretched between them, broken only by the mournful song of a nightingale through the open terrace windows harmonizing with the sweet violin of crickets. She felt the soft puff of air against her flesh that told her Logan had exhaled.

“All right.”

Though her heart fluttered in her chest, Ororo turned to him. She met the dark fire in his eyes with her emotions naked to him. “I am deadly serious, Logan. I want to have children, sooner rather than later.”

He did not so much as flinch. “Didn’t I just say “All right”?”

Ororo swallowed hard. “You want children? Just like that?”

“You do, just like that,” he countered.

“I lost a child, Logan, that brought me face to face with this terrible yearning inside of me.” She swallowed thickly, pushing aside the sorrow and quickly building hope.

We lost that baby, darlin’. You keep forgettin’ that.” His tone was slightly injured, his eyes reflecting sudden and overwhelming grief.

Surprised, Ororo reached up, taking his chin gently in her hands. “Logan…”

He tried to look away, to break the intimate contact between their eyes. She restrained him gently, unwilling to let him retreat into safer territory now that he had crossed that invisible line. Ororo pinned his gaze with hers. Inside the ebony depths she saw so much pain, she saw him, much as she always had. Everything he hid, deep in the secret places of his soul was bare to anyone willing to look that closely.

To her astonishment, she was more than willing.

“I suffered, too,” he whispered gruffly. “I was hurtin’ just as bad.”

“That is why you stayed away,” she said with something like awe in her tone. “You were grieving just as terribly.”

Tears welled in his eyes, tears that she knew too well would not spill over. “I didn’t want you to see me like that.”

Ororo ducked her head, feeling her own remorse crash over her like the unforgiving waves against jutting rock. He took her chin in his thick fingers, lifting her face as she had done to him.

“We can’t do this,” she whispered painfully. “I cannot do this.”

“Do what?” He demanded, his voice taking on a lilt of anger and hurt.

“You cannot run and hide from me, not for this.” Ororo swallowed over the lump in her throat. “If we have a child, you have to be here. Every day. This cannot be something you drift in and out of, Logan.”

In lieu of responding, Logan pulled her fully into his arms. He soothed her with his hands stroking her back in that oddly comforting way. She clung to him, listening to John Wayne mingled with the nightingale. She would give Logan time to think on all she had said.

She had to know where they stood before they could move forward. Together or apart.
Chapter Seven: Cross the Line by Gaineewop


Chapter Seven: Cross the Line

I wanted you to know
That I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high
And steal your pain away
~Seether




“It’s been two and a half years since the tragic battle at Alcatraz Island, a human-mutant fight where the lines were not so clearly drawn. Mutants fought beside and against homo sapiens, muddying the waters of an already sensitive issue.”

Perched on the edge of his desk, suit jacket tossed negligently over his chair, Hank watched Patricia as she paced in front of the White House. Her throaty voice was clear, filled with truth and conviction in her words. Her long, dark hair danced on the breeze, her eyes seeming even bluer as they matched the sky behind her.

“The mutant terrorists known only as Magneto and Phoenix assembled an army and marched on the island, which then housed the mutant “cure”. Though Brotherhood of Mutants was violently opposed to the cure, another mutant faction known as the X-Men fought to give all mutants a choice.”

Hank ran a hand over his face. At times, he wished the girl had a little more discretion.

“In the wake of the terrible battle, in which thirty-seven Homo sapiens and mutants were killed, one thing remained clear. The X-Men had saved countless lives with heroism and bravery. In fact, one of the X-Men is responsible for putting an end to the powerful mutant known as Phoenix, sparing the lives of millions.”

The blue, furred ambassador groaned, covering his eyes with his hands. “Oh, God. Tell me Logan is in the garage…”

“The X-Men, though their role in protecting all human life is greater than many understand, refused any sort of commendations for their actions. So, it was with some confusion that this reporter learned of Secretary Bolivar Trask’s sudden and vicious campaign against these mutant heroes.”

Crossing his arms over his chest, Hank shushed his assistant as the young man entered.

“Secretary Trask’s new crusade comes in the wake of a break in to his offices. His computer files were destroyed and mere hours later, he began condemning the X-Men as the culprits. Why? For now, that question remains unanswered. Trask has adamantly refused all attempts at interviews or even press releases. Perhaps he is trying to hide something.”

“Careful, Trish,” Hank muttered, worry clutching at his heart. She was stepping on toes now…but he feared she would soon begin tap-dancing on them.

She held up a thin, manila envelope. “I have here the official police report from the break in, which is public information. The report states, firmly, that the break in was illogical and somewhat unbelievable. No guards reported seeing anyone or anything out of order and no signs of external damage could be found on any doors or windows.”

“Trish…” Hank whispered, wishing she could hear him. “Back off, my dear.”

Of course, she climbed directly onto her soapbox and continued.

“Trask has fought these rumors, according to insiders within his organization, with the futile rebuttal that an X-Man is part of it. Not an X-Man exactly, but an X-Woman known only as Shadowcat. This mutant, with the ability to move through solid matter, would be an easy scapegoat…that is, until this reporter took a statement from NYU’s freshman dean, Carl Higgins.”

Hank promptly fell off his desk. He righted himself by falling back on his feline grace, ordering his assistant to turn the television up.

The news clip switched to a prerecording of Patricia interviewing in the Dean’s office at NYU. Higgins appeared to be a short, balding man in his mid-fifties with horn-rimmed spectacles and a nervous tick in his right eye.

“I was rather surprised to hear the rumors, actually. I know the mutant he refers to and I have it on good authority that she was here, on campus, attending a lecture on Social Effects of Mutation that evening. She did not leave the campus until well after midnight.”

“Trish!” Hank shouted into the room. “Damn you!”

She was playing with fire now, more than she ever had. How in the name of hell had she managed to subvert an NYU dean into lying? On camera, no less!

The screen flickered back to the waiting reporter outside of the White House.

“Here on Capitol Hill this afternoon, Secretary Trask has sequestered himself in a meeting with the President and Joint Chiefs of Staff. One can only hope their discussions put an end to this volatile witch-hunt that may have already damaged people’s lives. Patricia Tilby, NCBC News Reporting from Capitol Hill. John?”

“Michael,” Hank snapped. “Get that woman on my phone now.”

“Yes, Ambassador. Right away, sir.” Michael bolted from the room, leaving Hank’s schedule on his desk.

He looked up at the ceiling, shaking his head in dismay. “That foolish girl…one of these days, she is going to get herself killed.”

~**~


She had just finished writing her copy for the next morning when a very loud knock came upon her hotel room door. Trish looked up from her computer, her heart jumping a little in her chest.

A good reporter always found the story and exposed its gritty, bloody underbelly before the world like a prize. That, however, did not mean it wasn’t a little dangerous every now and then. No matter the danger, Trish found herself sinking her teeth into this latest X-Men story. She had already spoken to Ororo, ensuring that the woman was not put out with her for the report.

Storm said, on no uncertain terms, that she was grateful for the cover over Kitty. Trish felt she had done well, at least this time.

“Patricia Lynne Tilby, open this door this instant or so help me, I will break it down!”

“Blue.”

Pulling her wrap closed over her nightgown, Trish moved toward the hotel suite’s door, narrowly avoiding a collision with the room service cart. She had expected this, especially being in the same city with her furry blue friend. Her room was nice and neat, ready for company after she dodged his seventeenth message left on her cellular.

She didn’t need to be psychic to know Hank was going to blow a gasket at her report.

Flattening her body to the door, she peeked through the peephole, ensuring it was actually her mutated friend. When she caught sight of indigo fur and a face like a thundercloud, she quickly unlatched it, opening the door widely.

“Hi.”

“Are you out of your mind?”

“I’m good, thanks. Rough day, but you know how it is swimming in shark-infested waters. How was your day, dear?” She narrowed her eyes at him, trying to fight that swooping sensation in her stomach that was her constant companion around Hank McCoy.

Hank took her shoulders in his hands, pushing her gently into the room and closing the door with his heel so that it slammed. She could see in his sharp blue eyes the concern and panic mingled with something too conflicted to name.

“This is no joking matter, Patricia,” Hank said softly, shaking his head. “You are taunting a caged tiger with raw meat. You have publicly lied and forced another to lie for you.”

Trish shrugged her shoulders from his hands, sighing as she moved to the glass and marble bar on one end of her spacious hotel suite. She had already opened a bottle of wine, anticipating Hank’s temper tantrum.

Without a word, she poured the deep red liquid into waiting glasses, feeling the hot, heavy gaze on her back.

Maybe she should put some clothes on, she thought, realizing how vulnerable she probably looked in a long cotton robe and short silk gown. Swallowing hard at mental images that would likely only get her into more trouble, she turned back toward Hank.

He took the offered glass, inhaling the rich bouquet before taking a small, measured sip.

“A delightfully earthy Cabernet Sauvignon,” he complimented her choice. “Expensive.”

“Robert Mondavi,” she confirmed, saluting him with her glass.

She gestured to the small table beside the bar, relieved when Hank sat. Trish lowered herself into the chair across from him, straightening her robe when it drifted apart to reveal one bare thigh. Sighing, she took another sip of the bitter, leathery wine, letting the flavor tantalize her tongue in that wonderfully sensual way.

“You are going to get burned, Trish,” Hank said softly a moment later.

“I know what I’m doing, Blue,” she countered, meeting his gaze almost defiantly.

“Do you?” He pressed, with a hint of bite in his tone. “You lied.”

“Yes, I did. And now, hopefully, your young friend won’t take the fall.” Trish eyed him over the wide rim of her glass.

“You know as well as I that she is likely guilty.” Hank shook his head. “This is a risk you should never have taken, you could lose everything you have worked so hard for.”

Trish stood, taking her glass with her and crossed to the expansive window facing the east.

“I know that, but I won’t.” She defended. “You’re doing what you have to do and I am doing what I must. This isn’t a fight mutants can win alone.”

“I know that,” Hank said. The rustle of his clothing said he was moving closer. Trish tensed, she could rarely think properly with him close to her.

“I’m just a normal human, Hank,” she continued, watching the colored lights of cars drift by on the streets below them. “Just a human with a chance to make a difference.”

“You are making a difference, but how much can you do if Trask decides to have you killed?” He turned her with a soft, gentle hand on her shoulder. She lifted her face to meet his eyes.

“And you, my dear, have never been just anything.”

For one, fleeting moment, Trish read too much into that phrase. Her heart tripped and her stomach swooped. She shook it off, reminding herself that he carried a brightly lit torch for a snowy-haired beauty she could never match.

“You shouldn’t worry,” she deflected weakly. “I’ll be fine.”

He was quiet, then. Trish met those familiar blue eyes, a frown creasing her brow. Hank was staring at her, a puzzled, odd look on his handsome face. She reached up, lightly touching the line between his brow.

“Hey, what’s the matter?”

Hank slightly shook his head. “You don’t believe me.”

Confused now, Trish blinked several times. “Believe what?”

“That you have never been ‘just’ anything.”

“Hank…” She moved away, brushing past him and setting her wine glass on the table beside his.

He gave immediate chase, catching her hand in his. The warm comfort of his palm covering hers made her eyes close of their own accord. She refused to turn; afraid he would see the longing she carried in her heart naked in transparent eyes.

“Patricia.”

“Hmm?” She didn’t trust her voice, terrified that she was about to lose her best friend because she was without the means to protect herself.

“Look at me, damn you.” Hank demanded.

Unable to deny him anything, Trish turned to face him. He was standing dangerously close, that heavy gaze boring into hers until he took away all of her secrets. Ashamed, she dropped his gaze, feeling naked and vulnerable under his penetrating eyes.

“Perhaps the time has come, then,” Hank said quietly. “To discuss this.”

“Discuss what?” She avoided again.

“This,” he indicated to her and then himself.

“I don’t want to go there right now, Hank. I just…don’t.”

“Too bad,” he practically growled.

Angry that her heart hurt so terribly within her breast, Trish looked back up her dear friend, swallowing over the lump now lodged in her throat.

“I don’t want to!” She nearly shouted, yanking her hand from his. He made a desperate grab to reestablish contact, but she stepped back out of his reach. “I don’t want to talk about this, for the love of all that is good and holy.”

“We have to,” he insisted. “It is affecting our friendship.”

Trish knew his words were true, but she shook her head. She didn’t want to hear his kind, gentle rejection. She desperately wanted to avoid being compared to someone she would never hold a candle to. What she truly wanted was to carry her little torch, hidden deep inside of her where it was safe from being snuffed out.

Hank, however, seemed to have seen right through her. Giving in to his entreating gaze, Trish felt the sting of tears against her eyes, hating herself for the show of feminine weakness.

“What do you want me to say? That I’m in love with you?” She had the satisfaction of seeing him taken aback. “There. I said it. I’ve loved you since the moment you walked into my Ethics class at NYU. Now, are you fucking happy?”

Silence spilled into the room, sucking the air from it and leaving her suffocated. Hank looked at a loss for words at her speech, his eyes darting from hers to the hands she knew were trembling madly.

“You don’t love me,” he told her softly.

“The hell I don’t, you overgrown ape!” Trish fired back. “But don’t worry. I know it’s unrequited, which is why I haven’t said anything. I don’t expect you to love me back.”

“How can you?” Hank interrupted. “Look at me?”

“What?” Trish thundered. “You’re big, and blue, and covered with fur. Who gives a crap? You’re intelligent, kind, adoring, and you’ve got one hell of a sense of humor. What’s not to love?”

Hank snapped his mouth closed, the click of his teeth coming together sounding impossibly loud in her hotel room. He stared at her, obviously at a loss for words. That was something for the record books, she thought bitterly. She’d gone and shocked poor Blue speechless.

“I know I don’t compare to her, the love of your damn life, that beautiful goddess sitting high on her fricking pedestal.” She continued, hurt beyond measure for no good reason.

“Ororo?”

“Well, duh, you idiot,” Trish bellowed.

“You think…” He paused. “You really have lost your damn mind, Patricia.”

Trish turned her back on him. Tears slipped down her cheeks and she was not keen on letting him see her break. In a moment, her friend would leave and she knew he would likely not return. Hank, above all else, was sensitive. He would obviously understand that his presence would hurt her even more. She was losing her friend and that, more than anything, broke her heart.

It was with some surprise that she felt Hank’s hand on her shoulder. He nudged her, prodding her to turn toward him. She gave in, weak against his urgings. When she was facing him, one enormous blue hand reached up to shift a lock of her hair back from her face.

“I am not in love with her,” he whispered in the quiet. “There might have been a chance, yes, but no longer. It seems my heart has taken residence somewhere else.”

“Oh, God,” Trish tried to deflect again. “Don’t tell me you’re hot and bothered over Wolverine or something.”

Without even the slightest hint of warning, Beast drew her into his arms, wrapping his massive form around hers in a gesture that at once made her feel safe and aflame.

“Trish…you talk entirely too much.”

His lips found hers without hesitation or apology. Trish leaned up on her tiptoes, her hands moving to grope Hank’s impossibly broad shoulders with greedy hands. His kiss was gentle, exploring, but simmered with heat he had not unleashed. She whimpered, the sound lost in his mouth.

She parted her lips, a silent invitation for him to delve inside. He needed no further prompting. His rough tongue slipped into her mouth, exploring her thoroughly as though she were water and he lost in the Sahara.

One of his clawed hands reached down to cup her backside, drawing her closer until she was flush against him. Trish’s head was fuzzy all of the sudden, her mind lost in the feel of his hard body against hers, the careful seduction of his mouth.

When breathing became an absolute necessity, he relinquished his treat reluctantly.

“Wow.” She breathed, unable to put a coherent sentence together.

Hank’s eyes were on fire, something like tender lust reflecting in those beautiful cobalt pools.

“Yes,” he answered, leaning down to nip at her lips. “Now, I am going to make love to you. Do you have a problem with that?”

Desire already pounding through her body became almost unbearable. She shook her head with a lazy smile.

“Nuh-uh.”

“Amazing,” Hank chuckled as he backed her up. “I found a way to shut you up.”

Trish’s mouth fell open in amused shock, which he took as an invitation. He lifted her into his arms as though she weighed nothing, forcing her to wrap her legs about his waist. This time, his kiss was not so much gentle as demanding. He wanted to take from her, to rob her of speech and breath until she was left with nothing but him.

Her back smacked into the corner of the bathroom door, making her hiss an “Ow” as they broke apart. They laughed softly against one another’s lips, nipping at one another playfully.

“Wrong way, Cookie Monster.” She whispered breathily, licking his kiss-swollen bottom lip.

“Oh, yes, thank you, dear.”

Hank turned them both around, moving until he could drop them both onto the bed. They fell together, his arms cradling her as though she were made of something precious. His achingly tender embrace nearly brought more tears to her eyes.

He would not allow his hands to leave her flesh. Her cotton wrap and silk gown were removed carefully, his lips dancing kisses over the flesh he exposed. Trish arched against the pillows in a desperate plea for more. His azure hand against her impossibly white flesh was the most erotic thing she had ever seen.

Fighting to sit up, she pushed him back, leaning into their kiss. Her hands moved to his suit jacket, shoving it from his shoulders until it fell in a heap on the floor. Delicate and teasing fingers worked the buttons of his shirt loose before she buried her hands in his soft blue fur.

“You’re beautiful,” Trish whispered as she continued undressing him.

She saw the denial and hint of shame in his eyes, so she kissed his cheeks innocently. He shuddered against her, his eyes closing as she rained more sweet kisses on his face.

“Absolutely beautiful, Blue.”

“Trish…” Her name was a wish, a prayer, drowning out all doubt or shame.

She dropped a final kiss onto his lips, infusing it with everything she felt. Hank took her back into his arms, bare flesh against downy fur. He lay them both gently back on the bed while Trish opened herself to him.

When she reached up to touch his face, Hank smiled softly. “This will change everything.”

His whisper sent a shiver down her spine, but she hoped her eyes betrayed more bravery than she felt.

“I know.”

~**~


“Ororo? Logan?”

Hank stepped into the mansion, composing himself in the foyer. What he really meant by “composing” himself was wiping the sated, wicked grin that seemed permanently affixed to his face since the previous evening.

“Hey.” Logan greeted as he entered the hall. “How’s it goin’ Furball?”

He had to force himself to not widen the already telling smirk on his face. Memories kept creeping into his sleep-deprived mind. His darling Trish had…stamina. She refused to let him sleep, taking him several times while he attempted to drift off. And this morning, as they rushed about to get to work on time…Good Lord, who knew she could do that with her legs?

When consuming lust did not drive them, it was with slow, exploring tenderness that they lay in one another’s arms. She discovered all the secret places on his body and he returned the favor. Trish’s throaty, seductive laughter echoed in his mind, her desperate moans threatening to override his conscious mind.

The single image he had carried like a torch in his heart was that of her upon waking. Her face so innocent and unassuming, raven hair spread all over the pillow…

“Earth to Beast, come in Beast.”

Logan was attempting to get his attention. Hank blushed slightly under his dark fur, wondering how long he had been lost to memories.

“Oh, yes. Sorry about that. I have a good deal on my mind.” Hank cleared his throat, adjusting his tie. “Where is Ororo?”

Wolverine was watching him a little too closely for Hank’s comfort, but there was nothing he could do about that. Instead, he drew on a businesslike face and hoped he could continue paying attention to his friend without becoming lost in erotic fantasy again.

“Rec Room, she’ll be along in a minute.” Logan’s eyes narrowed. “There somethin’ wrong, Beast?”

“Nothing.” Hank answered just a little too quickly.

To his dismay, Logan’s canine nostrils decided to test the air quickly. The feral mutant frowned, stepping closer and sniffing loudly.

“What’s that…” he murmured.

“Honestly, Logan. I have been in meetings all day here in New York and I must see Ororo before I head back to Washington.”

Unfortunately for Hank, Logan had just figured out what the scent clinging to him happened to be. The shorter man pulled back, his eyes widening with humor and discovery. Hank wanted to say something, to stop him, but Wolverine chuckled.

“You got laid.”

At that exact moment, as if by some cosmic cue, Ororo entered the foyer.

“Who got laid?”

Hank felt his blush brighten and no amount of throat clearing was stopping it or his gossip mongering friends.

“Furball.” Logan grinned around his cigar, socking Hank in the shoulder playfully.

Ororo, whom was flipping through what looked to be her mail, glanced up. “Really? So, how is Trish, Blue Man?”

“If I did…it is none of your business.” Hank defended somewhat lamely.

That made Ororo look up, humor sparkling in her eyes as she raised a brow. “Oh, it must have been extremely good. I know that smile.”

“HA! Wait…” Logan paused mid-knee slap. “You what?”

Hank, glad the focus was now off of him, smirked at Ororo when she began to back pedal. He watched his friends closely, sadly noticing that there was still distance and cold space between them. Obviously not even his leaving had healed the rift between them. Beast still felt that they had potential to be…something more.

“How’d ya know about that smile, darlin’? I’m all curious now.” Logan questioned, moving a little closer to her.

“Hank,” she sidestepped her lover quickly. “What brings you back so soon?”

Logan gave the weather goddess a look that, clearly, said there was going to be a talk later. Hank almost felt sorry for her. He decided to give her a reprieve, if only so he could finish here and get back to Washington. Trish had left him a message, the contents of which left his face flaming and his pants too tight.

“I wanted you both to come to be aware that Trish’s story has already caused a stir in Washington. They are branding her a heretic, in some circles, and a genius in others.”

“You want a place to stash her.” Logan said, crossing his arms while his eyes reflected understanding.

“I truly hope the need will never arise, but yes.” Hank told Ororo, whom met his eyes, everything she would need to know with a single look.

“We have a room,” she smiled fondly. “Your old one, if memory serves.”

Logan grinned at his lover. “That’s one for her side.”

Hank sighed, rubbing his eyes. “Yes, yes. I slept with Patricia Tilby! Shall I order a press conference?”

“Oooh,” came the accented voice of Betsy as she meandered into the room. “Have yourself a good shag, did ya?”

The blue mutant threw his hands up in dismay, turning back to the door. “I will know no peace!”

But he was smiling as he left the mansion. Some things he could always count on.
Chapter Eight: Brand New Man by Gaineewop


Chapter Eight: Brand New Man

I saw the light
I've been baptized
By the fire in your touch
And the flame in your eyes
I'm born to love again
I'm a brand new man
~Brooks and Dunn



The breeze coming in through the terrace windows she had thrown open before succumbing to sleep would have bothered some people. There was the scent of spice and dying earth on that bitterly cold wind. It caressed the room like a frosty lover’s hand, beckoning the couple lying on the bed into nature’s embrace.

Awake, though the hour neared dawn, a man known to many as Wolverine watched a woman known as Storm as she slept. Her beautiful face was relaxed, innocent as she delved into dreams of which he could have no part. Those generous lips parted slightly as she breathed, deeply, evenly, with the security of one in complete safety.

He touched her cheek softly, almost lovingly. She shifted under the light quilt they’d thrown on the bed, the duo enjoying the chill of autumn more than most. That long, lithe body grazed his lightly, her touch at once soothing and seductive. One of her silken hands rubbed at her face sleepily before it dropped onto the pillow, lost in snow-white locks that spilled recklessly over the pillow.

Logan wondered what her mind conjured for her to dream. She was blissfully without nightmares tonight, often smiling at something he could not see. He cuddled closer to her, propping his head in his hand with his elbow digging into the soft pillow. Her fingers flexed, as though she were reaching for something.

His gaze drifted down the outline of her body, ignoring the pull in his stomach that reminded him he had not taken her yet this visit. He wasn’t sure if she could, or if she even wanted him at the moment. He did, after all, still owe her an answer.

Without thinking about it, he let his hand cover her abdomen. Even through the thin quilt and material of her nightgown, the warmth sent a shiver racing over his flesh. It was as though he could feel life pulsating inside of her, begging to be rekindled.

Together, they had fashioned life inside of her. Together, they felt the blow when that life was so cruelly taken away. Logan wondered why she would want to risk that again, but at the same time, he understood.

Yes, even the fearsome Wolverine had longings. He had not noticed them until this whirlwind relationship with Storm erupted, but the call of family screamed in his veins. Before he had even turned around twice, he found himself bound to this woman. She inflamed him; challenged, ignited…it was an experience he had never had.

He understood her concerns, even encouraged them. If they did have a child, one they planned on, his presence would be a necessity. Every day there could be something new, something he would miss if he decided to tuck tail and run. Again.

If he were honest with himself, he didn’t feel that pull to dash off into the shadows. He was damn tired of running, he wanted to stand still. To breathe. To be with some semblance of permanence.

Logan leaned forward, kissing her lips softly, as he never had while she was awake. He was careful around her, never knowing what was happening in that beautiful mind. Logan could be a patient man and he was willing to wait, feel her out.

Careful not to wake her, Logan slipped out of bed, tucking the sheets around her. Forgoing any thought of dressing in more than his old sweatpants, he tiptoed out of the room, closing the door behind him.

He wasn’t going to get any sleep tonight, especially with that good salami calling him from the refrigerator downstairs. Slipping through dark, snoring-filled halls, he took the back staircase to the kitchen, catching a whiff of someone down there before he stepped into the room.

A feral, almost wicked smirk crossed his face. She wouldn’t be able to avoid him now.

“Here, kitty, kitty, kitty,” Logan chanted as he entered the kitchen.

She jumped up, a spoon in one hand and the tub of Rocky Road in the other. Kitty put her hand to her chest, glaring at him for all her petite body was worth.

“You scared me!” She admonished, her eyes darting about as though seeking escape.

He came into the kitchen, almost prowling. Kitty popped the spoon into her mouth and backed up. The sound of her swallowing was suddenly quite loud in the otherwise silent room. Logan leaned against the butcher’s block, eyeing her carefully.

“OK,” she said, muffled by the spoon. “I can totally explain.”

Logan raised a solitary brow. “Explain what?”

She gulped again. “Um. The whole thing with Trask.”

He sighed at her, rolling his eyes. “We’re gonna have to do somethin’ about your eavesdroppin’.”

The slight brunette mutant slid onto a barstool as though sensing from his stance and words that he was not going to eviscerate her on the spot. Logan eased over toward the fridge, opening it quickly. Forgetting the salami for now, he grabbed a beer, opening it as he turned to his young friend.

“Spill.”

At once, the girl began to speak as though someone had pumped her full of truth serum.

“Ok, so it’s like this,” she rattled nervously. “After the whole…thing at Alcatraz, I hacked into Trask’s computers so I could keep an eye on him.”

Logan sprayed the entire butcher’s block with the beer he had been drinking. Which, he felt, was pretty good distance through his nose.

“You did what?” He snarled, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

“Don’t worry,” Kitty held her hands up in defense. “I bounced my signal over so many computers, satellites and networks that it would take a five years and a pogo stick to unravel.”

Against his will, Logan chuckled. “A pogo stick?”

“Oh,” Kitty said with some frustration. “Shut up. Anyway, I’d been monitoring him, right? All of the sudden, his files went from cataloging various mutants to going real, real deep into Storm’s history.”

“He’s building a case,” Logan nodded.

“I know,” the girl said somewhat forlornly. “That why I had to stop him. I had to, Logan, I don’t care if I get arrested or whatever.”

Sensing something more was happening beneath the surface here, Logan eased onto a barstool and leaned his elbows on the butcher’s block so that his forearms rested across it. He nodded at her, silently prodding her to tell him what this was really all about. It wasn’t like the bubbly girl to be suddenly so melancholy.

“You don’t get it,” she said simply, stirring her pilfered ice cream miserably.

“Explain it to me,” he insisted. “This ain’t just about you, kid. It’s all of us.”

Something deep inside purred at the way he said “us”.

“I was so afraid,” her voice dropped to a pained whisper. “I couldn’t control my mutation. My folks were freaking out…all of the sudden this nice old man shows up at my house, promising he can help me.”

Logan’s heart wrenched at the thought of their lost mentor. He shook it off, trying to concentrate on the young mutant in front of him.

“I was too afraid to believe him. I ran out of the room, but this beautiful woman came into the backyard. She said her name was Storm.” Kitty smiled at the memory, her look far off. “She told me that she knew what it was like to be afraid. I told her to piss off.”

“Did ya?” Wolverine smirked at that image.

“Yeah,” Kitty laughed shortly, her smile widening. “She raised her eyebrow and lifted her arms. Whoosh! She’s off in the air. There’s all this thunder and lightning…and I kinda figured out right about then why they called her Storm.”

He couldn’t help but smile as his young friend swooped and swished her arms, emphasizing her words. The image of Ororo showing her power off, trying to help a terrified young girl brought a warm feeling to the center of his chest.

“Then, she picks me up with the air…she took me flying,” Kitty’s voice sounded as though she were fighting tears. “I marched back into my house and told my parents they were sending me to mutant school. If she could control her powers, then damn it, so could I.”

“Sounds like our Storm,” he responded with a curt nod.

“We lost Cyclops, which was bad enough. And then the Professor, which just sucked so bad. By the time…” She glanced at him, as though afraid to voice it.

“By the time I killed Phoenix,” Logan offered, feeling the pang of guilt directly to the heart.

“Yeah,” Kitten said quietly. “I couldn’t take it anymore. If me destroying Trask’s files brings on Armageddon, at least I didn’t let him take Storm from us. We all need her; she’s the head of the family, the matriarch. I won’t let them take her, Wolverine.”

From the steel of conviction in the tiny girl’s voice, Logan momentarily wondered if Trask hadn’t picked on someone too big for him. Kitty, practically raised within the walls of the school, had learned to fight for what she wanted. He had little doubt that Kitty would take a bullet for Storm, should the need ever arise.

“Its OK, Kitten,” Logan assured her. “We won’t let them.”

A shrewd look came over the girl’s angelic features. “You’re sticking around, then? No more of this “Wham-Bam-Thank you ma’am” crap?”

“Hey!” Logan choked on his beer. “Watch your mouth.”

“Well,” she huffed. “Ororo needs someone who isn’t gonna take off. Who’ll be there when she’s lying on the floor bleeding.”

Logan startled as though she’d physically slapped him.

“Oh yeah,” the girl snapped. “You and I haven’t had this little chat yet, as I’ve been avoiding you. Well, lets just fix that right now.”

He raised both brows, almost terrified of what a mutant who could phase through solid matter was about to do to him.

Kitty slid off of her barstool and came around the butcher’s block, her Rocky Road abandoned. There was fire in her brown eyes, conviction and truth and all manner of things Logan could not even begin to name.

“I’ve never seen her so broken,” the young woman said without any trace of kindness. “She waited for you, you son of a bitch. I don’t care if you were hurting or locked in an adamantium cell in southern Peru, you should have been here.”

Too stunned to speak, Logan merely gaped at her.

“If you ever, and I mean ever hurt her that way again, so help me God I will reach into your chest and rip your black heart out. You can try healing that, buddy.”

Logan felt his eyes widen at the sheer murder in his friend’s eyes. She gave him a cheeky smile then, swatting him playfully on the shoulder.

“I’m glad we had this little chat. Now, I’ve got a hot, handsome Russian waiting for me upstairs. Put my ice cream away, would ya?”

With that, she bounced out of the kitchen, leaving Logan to stare after her as though she’d lost her mind. He glanced at the melting ice cream and at his beer, shaking his head.

“Everything keeps telling me to stay here, even the Kitty-Kat.” He shrugged. “Fuck it.”

He left the ice cream and his beer on the counter, rushing back upstairs and into the bed of the woman he loved.

~**~


“Hey.”

“Hey,” Ororo rewarded his grin with a smile as she looked up from the paperwork currently attempting to drown her. “Is everything all right?”

“Yeah, I think so,” Logan said, coming into the room. His heart started to race, which irritated him more than anything. “You busy?”

She indicated to the paperwork, amusement dancing in her lovely eyes. “Save me?”

“Always, darlin’.” He grabbed her coat from the stand behind her desk, holding it out for her.

“Are we going somewhere?” She questioned him while pulling the soft, fawn-colored coat on, belting it at the waist.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Lets take a walk, it’s nice out.”

She seemed surprised, but nodded nonetheless. They left her office, side by side and moved to the back door without speaking. He knew of her affinity for the gardens and led her to the entrance.

The air pleasantly crisp, leaves falling in the gentle breeze, Logan inhaled deeply. There was something so maudlin about this season, when everything braced itself for the winter. Though it was always beautiful here at the mansion, something about it always made him slightly sad.

Not that he would admit that. To anyone.

He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his coat, holding one elbow out for Ororo to take. The smile she gave him could have lit up the night, making his heart flip-flop in his chest as though he were on his first date.

Once her hand slid into place at his elbow, he brought his arm closer. She moved beside him, their pace leisurely, the couple enjoying a gentle autumn afternoon. Her shoes made clicking sounds on the cobblestone walk, muted by the heavy thump of his boots.

Logan had been lost in his thoughts all day. Though he’d gone back to bed after his interesting altercation with Kitty, sleep eluded him. He kept envisioning scenarios once thought impossible. A life here, with the X-Men, on a permanent basis. It sounded almost too good to be true.

What he truly wanted, however, clung to his arm at this precise moment. Her face was lifted up to the cold autumn sun, as though she were trying to commune with the elements alive all around her.

They walked in silence for several minutes, comfortable out of doors on such a perfect fall afternoon. Logan turned her away from the gravesite and toward the arbor, where her greenhouses were kept in meticulous order.

He felt her move closer, bringing her other hand up to grasp his arm. The simple intimacy in that gesture made him smile.

“Hey, ‘Ro?”

“Hmm?” She hummed, leaning her head on his shoulder as they moved through the withering arbor. He glanced at her, noticing her eyes closed and a soft, pleased smile on her lips.

“I’ve been thinkin’, bout everything you said the other night,” he kept his tone light, wanting to keep her wrapped around his arm like that just a little longer.

“I know,” she answered, not moving.

He drew them to a stop in front of the greenhouses, the scent of living things wafting out through the ventilation system until it surrounded him. Ororo turned to him, keeping her hands on his arm.

“I’ve made my decision, an’ I didn’t make it on the fly or without thinkin’,” he assured her. “This is what I want.”

Something that could have been fear crossed her eyes and he instinctively reached up with his free hand, brushing a wayward white lock from her eyes. As though his fingers had a mind of their own, they curled around her cheek, relishing the warmth as she smiled tenderly.

The hand entwined with hers released her fingers, dropping to her flat abdomen. Ororo looked down curiously and he leaned closer to whisper.

“I wanna see you,” he admitted softly, pulling his hand several inches away. “Out to about here.”

His sensitive ears caught her sharp intake of breath. Her hands gripped his arm more tightly, making him draw her face up again so he could see her eyes.

“I ain’t goin’ anywhere.”

Ororo reached up, wrapping her arms around his neck, forcing him to gladly take her into his arms. She didn’t have to say anything, her relief and hope radiated in her body; he could very nearly smell it on her.

With his hands flat against her back, he pulled her flush against him. She laughed merrily in his ear as he yanked her off of her feet, spinning her happily. Joy and hope welled in his chest, making him act a fool as he tried to do something with that energy.

Soft, pristine snowflakes fell around them, Storm’s emotions reflecting in the very skies. Logan looked up, snagging her lips in a wet, sloppy kiss that made her chuckle against his mouth.

Everything, it seemed, was as it was meant to be.

~**~


Ororo led Logan into her bedroom, saucily toying with the belt of her coat. He prowled toward her, a feral, seductive fire in his gaze. She swayed her hips to the dull thrum of music coming from a bedroom down the hall. Logan’s eyebrows went up as his licked his lips.

Oh yes, it had been too long.

After he closed the bedroom door, she shrugged easily out of her coat, letting it lay where it fell. Searching hands went for the pins holding her hair off of her neck until she could shake the growing locks free.

Logan stalked her as a predator seeking pray. Their heated gazes locked across the scant feet separating them, the promise of pleasure almost a delicious threat. Ororo kicked her heels off as she backed toward the bed.

The jacket of her suit fell as her coat had even as Logan shrugged out of his leather bomber. He threw it aside, pulling the black tee stretched over his chest over his head to reveal tanned, sculpted muscle.

He was so ridiculously sexy that Ororo felt her knees weaken. Want thrummed through her veins and a light breeze brought the scent toward her prowling lover. Logan inhaled sharply as he kicked his boots off.

The space between them closed immediately. All but tackling her to the bed, Logan wrapped her into his arms. Their kiss was heated, filled with decadent promises. Teeth clashed together as hands flew to the remaining clothing keeping their flesh from meeting.

Her hands smoothed over his bare chest and the rounded muscle of his shoulders. Logan parted her thighs with a knee, forcing her skirt up over her thighs. Those masculine fingers gripped below her knees before sliding up.

Ororo tore her mouth from his, the tug of desire in her belly almost unbearable. She tilted her head to the side, offering her throat to his hot, searching mouth. He latched onto her pulse point viciously. She felt her mutation slip making the winds howl and the rain pound against the mansion’s windows.

Logan pulled her up far enough to peel the white shirt she’d worn under her suit. Her bra was unclasped with an expert flick of his fingers so that her breasts fell into greedy hands. Sighing, gasping at the exquisite pleasure of his hands on bare flesh, Ororo arched beneath him.

His belt buckle and zipper came apart with careful movements of her hands even as he tugged at her skirt.

“Where’s the damn zipper?” He snarled huskily into the hollow of her throat.

“There is none,” was her whispered reply. She scraped her nails down his back, hips rocking into his. “You have to peel it off.”

“Jesus,” he swore. “Fuck that.”

“Don’t you…”

Snikt! Two lethal claws unsheathed, tearing the material of her expensive skirt before he put his weapons away.

“Dare,” Ororo finished on an irritated sigh.

“Bill me,” he rumbled, dropping a wet kiss to the space between her breasts.

She fought with the denim of his jeans, pulling them down over his backside until he could kick them off. Her ruined skirt flew over his shoulder, the two of them sighing at the contact of bare skin from head to toe.

His hands seemed to be everywhere, even when he began to slide down her chest. She undulated into him, biting her lips and bruising her palms with her nails at the feel of him all over her. Logan’s bedroom prowess was unmatched in her experience. There was nothing like having this rough man manipulating her body.

The proclamation that he was staying, that he wanted to have a child with her made her heart flutter. His body on hers made her skin scream for more. They pawed at one another with primal lust that had nothing to do with what was in their hearts. Because they were attempting to create life did not heart-wrenching romance require.

Their lips met again, each fighting for more. Tongue dueling madly in hot mouths, Ororo felt him shift against her. His hard cock pressed insistently into her thigh. Her body instinctively tightened, the phantom feel of having him inside made her whimper wantonly.

She was somewhat surprised when he buried his hands in her hair, pulling away to meet her eyes.

“This gonna hurt you, darlin’?” He whispered, concern creeping into his eyes around the blinding lust.

“I am not sure,” she admitted.

“You tell me if it does.” Logan nipped at her lips, then nuzzled her nose with his affectionately.

She could have melted through the bed at the tenderness in his tone. “I promise.”

He dropped them back against the mattress, instantly wrapping her into another toe-curling kiss. Sweat already beaded on their flesh, making the writhing bodies move more fluidly against one another.

One of Logan’s hands fell to her hip, his thumb rubbing in entreating circles. Ororo moved her thighs further apart, offering herself to him without even a thought to reservation. For once in her damned life, she was going to go with her gut. Logan had already fathered one child, and by the Goddess herself, he would give her another.

Thought came to a screeching halt, replaced with something much more primitive when Logan’s talented fingers slipped into the slender patch of white at the apex of her thighs. She growled his name, making him smirk against her lips.

He parted her slick folds carefully, his fingertip teasing at her swollen clit. Ororo’s nails bit into his shoulders when one thick finger dove inside of her. He moved slowly, as though testing her reaction to ensure she was in no pain.

It stung, but the delicious things he happened to be doing with his mouth drove the pain away. In mere seconds, she was thrusting against his hand, whimpering for more of him.

When he removed his hand, hooking them under her arms, Ororo grunted with protest. He shifted her on the bed, lying her head on the down-soft pillows. He settled easily between her thighs, dragging his hands over the wealth of her flesh.

His kiss was more tender now, succeeding in distracting her thoroughly as he slipped inside of her. She tensed, just slightly, at the welcome invasion, waiting for pain. When it seemed she could bear it, she rocked her hips slightly against him; an invitation for more.

Logan groaned, the sound lost in her kiss-swollen mouth. As delved deeper, she wriggled against him, her hips rocking, inner muscles squeezing. Damn, but this man could turn her into a wanton sex goddess without even trying.

At first, his pace was slow, agonizing as he tortured her with unhurried movements. Every thrust of his hips ensured she felt the full length of him moving inside of her. His hands massaged each of her bare breasts, lightly toying with both chocolate nipples.

“Faster,” Ororo pleaded. “More.”

Her lover’s breath hitched, but his body gave way. “You feel too goddamn good.”

She chuckled huskily, her entire body thrumming deliciously at his increased pace.

“Tight…hot…wet,” he continued. “Makes me so hard, just thinking about it.”

Ororo groaned when he hit the perfect spot, not at all surprised when he shifted to continue stroking that secret place hidden inside of her.

“I’m gonna make you mine,” he whispered, nipping at her ear. “Only mine.”

She shuddered with something like pleasure at his words, gasping when his pace immediately changed. He was all but pounding into her now, making the springs of her bed protest with every thrust.

Her head thrashed against the pillows, words lost to soft groans and howling wind. Logan’s lips swooped in to claim hers once more, succeeding in driving out all thought until she was left only with sensation.

One of his gifted hands wiggled between them until he could expertly stroke her clit in time with his bruising thrusts. Ororo’s mind went completely blank as she shattered, whimpering Logan’s name in the instant before climax took her.

His body went rigid above hers as he followed her over the brink and into bliss. As the winds calmed and the rain evaporated, he dropped himself onto his elbows. Their lips met with less urgency this time, the both of them enjoying the intimacy with pleasure.

It came as no surprise when she felt him harden a beat later, his voice moving against her lips as they parted for air.

“Again.”

~**~

“Oh, he’s such a freaking moron. I can’t believe he got a Primetime spot. God, I hate that guy.”

“Did someone kick your proverbial dog, Trish?” Hank asked as his lover scowled at the television in his apartment.

The woman in question sprawled on his sofa, a pair of chopsticks in one hand and a white box of Kung Pao Chicken in the other. So long as he could remember, Trish had a weakness for the Chinese dish. He distinctly recalled a time in their college days “ during the dreaded finals “ when she had eaten nothing but for a solid week.

He watched her with a soft smile on his face, noticing for the first time that she was without the mental defenses she had carried with her the last several years. In her worn sweat pants and a faded NYU sweatshirt, she lay against the arm of his sofa, all her long hair draped over the side.

She had scrubbed the makeup from her face and brushed her teeth upon arriving at his apartment, stating firmly that she needed a little TLC. Hank was more than happy to give her that.

“Look at him,” she continued, obviously disgusted. “Mitch Cromwell. Daddy owns half the network and he gets a Primetime slot out of college.”

“His reports seem rather well researched,” Hank observed.

Trish scowled at him in a manner that would make Wolverine proud. “Hank, sweetie, you’re on my side. Call him names and stroke my ego.”

He rewarded her with a lopsided, slightly bemused grin. “Oh, I am terribly sorry for that oversight.”

His lover shifted primly in her half-lying position. “Just don’t let it happen again.”

The sight of her so easily thrown into his apartment twisted his heart in a pleasant way. Never in his life “ since turning himself blue and furry “ had he felt this comfortable in a woman’s presence. Trish was different. He did not yet know why, but she was.

“The school district declined to comment while the case is still under review. Mitch Cromwell, NCBC Primetime. Harry?”

Trish threw a pot sticker in the general direction of the television.

“You are going to pick that up,” compulsively tidy Hank pointed out, looking up from his fried rice.

“Think so, Blue?” She nudged him with her foot, raising a dark brow.

“Yes, yes I do.” He met her gaze, which he saw to his delight was filled with unspoken, lusty promises.

“Huh,” she shrugged. “We’ll see.”

They lapsed into silence for several seconds, turning to watch the next news story. When Trish spoke again, it was with her eyes trained on the television. “Hey, Blue?”

“Yes, my dear?” He braced himself without thinking about it, slightly ashamed when he realized he was waiting for the inevitable brush off.

“There’s a party next week for the station, formal and all. I bought the most killer white dress…”

His eyebrows touched his hairline at the innuendo and the slight fear in her tone. “Oh?”

“Wanna be my date?” She asked, sounding like a schoolgirl asking a crush to the Sadie Hawkins dance.

Hank put his food on the coffee table, reaching to take hers away so it could rest beside his. She watched him cautiously as he laid over her much smaller form, careful to avoid crushing her beneath his weight.

She nearly purred when he touched her nose with his before kissing those plump, soy sauce-flavored lips.

“Of course,” he whispered, reaching down to slide his hands beneath her sweatshirt. “I will go anywhere with you.”

“Oh, Jesus,” she whimpered as he took one breast into his hand. “I never stood a chance at resisting you, did I?”

Hank couldn’t answer, as his mouth happened to be full.
Chapter Nine: Mixed Blessings by Gaineewop


Chapter Nine: Mixed Blessings

And if I shed a tear
I won't cage it
I won't fear love
And if I feel a rage
I won't deny it
I won't fear love
~Sarah McLachlan



Ororo sat beside Logan on the sitting room sofa, their hands loosely entwined as she leaned her head on his shoulder. They’d been lounging this way since curfew, waiting for the news to come on. In a month, they had seen little of Hank, so this evening’s phone call that they might find the eleven o’clock news interesting sent eyebrows up among the X-Men.

Marie, Bobby, Piotr, and Kitty relaxed in various positions through the room, none of them particularly shocked to find Storm and Wolverine locked in such an intimate embrace. Several weeks had passed since Logan had informed Ororo of his decision to remain at the school. Most of the others assumed she was the major reason behind his resolution.

Squeezing his fingers gently, Ororo shifted in his arms to get more comfortable. Logan absently returned the affectionate gesture, kissing her hair gently as they watched the major stories for the news wind down.

Though the new couple was almost distracted by that heady, intoxicating first flush of new romance, they kept their decision to get pregnant intentionally from the others. With Storm’s status at leader of the X-Men, they had agreed to not send anyone into panic just yet. Nothing would change until the weather witch was actually with child, in any event.

“Oh! There she is!” Kitty said suddenly, drawing Storm out of her thoughts as the young girl turned the volume up.

“And live at the United Nations building in New York we have Investigative Reporter Patricia Tilby.”

The assembled mutants sat up quickly, eagerly paying attention. Ororo and Logan shifted against one another, their entwined fingers gripping more tightly as they leaned toward the television.

Patricia appeared on the screen, looking as beautiful and professional as ever. She stood before the night-lit U.N. building without a microphone, a stack of papers clutched in her hand.

“Thank you, Lindsay,” Trish said in her ringing voice. “Tonight this building was the setting for a conference that could change the lives of mutants around the world. This conference was held in the utmost secrecy, even from respected members of the press. Reasons for this were to keep down so called public bias. Only this evening, after the conference had taken place, was the press allowed inside.”

The clip changed to several hours before. Dozens of clamoring journalists were crowded into a small conference room where a podium was erected. Ororo sucked in a surprised breath when she noted that Secretary Trask stood before the crowd, ready to answer questions.

Trish’s hand was impatient as she held it up. Trask pointed to her. “Miss Tilby?”

“Secretary,” she said with only a hint of sarcasm. “Rumors have said that this conference today was to dictate international policy for mutants committing crimes against humanity, can you comment on that?”

“I can say,” Trask began. “That yes, there was some discussion today about crimes against humanity. Powerful mutant traitors like Magneto were brought up.”

“What about the X-Men?” Trish pressed. “Are they to be condemned as traitors as well?”

“I cannot comment on that at this time.” Trask took his eyes from the raven-haired woman, obviously through talking to her.

Trish seemed incapable of letting that one slide. “Secretary Trask! Do you mean to say that the X-Men are going to be tried for crimes against humanity by the United Nations, even though their “crimes” were committed while trying to protect humans from Magneto and Phoenix?”

“Damn,” Logan whispered to Ororo. “I thought I was the one with claws.”

She smiled softly, glancing at him. “She is tenacious, our Trish.”

When she looked back to the screen, Ororo frowned. The look Trask had given Trish was filled with loathing and hatred. She feared for Hank’s beloved reporter, making a mental note to contact him in the morning. Trish might need that extra protection after all.

“I can not and will not comment on any mutant group at this time.”

“Why not? What are you so afraid of saying?” Trish was standing now. “What are your plans for the X-Men, whom you’ve recently condemned as terrorists?”

“The X-Men will be dealt with,” Trask said ominously. “And that is all I can say about that. Roy?”

Trish’s face came back on screen before the U. N. building, split with a cheerful blonde in the anchor room.

“Patricia, what could the Secretary have meant by that last comment?” Lindsay asked carefully.

“We can’t be sure at this time, but I can guarantee that we will be looking into it,” Trish replied quickly. “Other items on today’s agenda, which was only released minutes ago, were the directives to try mutant criminals under the same laws as any governing body would a homo sapien as well as government assistance programs to help with mutant children cast out of their homes.”

“Those are interesting topics,” said the anchorwoman.

“Of course, we’ll know more tomorrow morning at the press conference with Dr. Henry McCoy, Ambassador for Mutant Relations.”

“We’ll be looking forward to your report.”

As the news switched tactics again, Ororo hit the mute button on the remote and glanced around at her students. They were watching her cautiously, making her smile slightly at the worry in their eyes.

“Calm down,” she ordered gently. “We are fine for now.”

“But,” Bobby cut in. “If they decide to try us…”

“They won’t try you,” Ororo shook her head. “You are all too young. If they come after anyone, it will be me.”

She heard Logan snarl softly beside her and she squeezed his hand to comfort him. “No one’s taking Storm. So stop worryin’ about it.”

The younger mutants seemed to take him at his word. Ororo shooed them off to bed, promising that they would all talk more in the morning. Each mutant “ and Marie “ bid the elder couple a fond good night as they filed out, leaving Wolverine alone with Storm.

She met his gaze when they were alone, swallowing hard. “Logan.”

“Don’t.”

“I have to,” she sighed. “I have already met with our lawyers, everything will be handed to you and Henry should I be arrested.”

Logan tugged on her hand, pulling her completely into his arms. She melted against him, smiling into the crook of his neck where she buried her face.

“They ain’t takin’ you.” He swore quietly. “I won’t let them.”

“You must concentrate on the children,” she countered him, no matter how warm and fuzzy his proclamation made her inside. “They will need you.”

“Yeah? Well, I need you, so shut up.” She felt him grin against her hair.

Ororo turned in his arms, letting him stretch his legs over the sofa as they snuggled together in the quiet night. Logan’s hands smoothed over her flat belly, resting comfortably as they sat together in peaceful silence.

“We’ll get through this,” she said confidently after a moment.

He didn’t reply, instead tightening his arms around her gently. They stayed that way for some time, until Ororo prodded him into standing so they could fall into their bed together. Everything would seem better in the morning.

~**~

There it was again.

A strange sound had plagued Logan’s sleep for the last several nights. Though he’d been back at the mansion nearly two months now, it still felt odd to think of never leaving this place for extended periods again.

He didn’t really want to, especially with his plans for their resident weather witch. He sat up in bed beside her, careful to not disturb her rest. They’d been…practicing the skill of baby-making for several hours, leaving her with time only to cat nap before her day got started all over again.

He blamed her. She was addicting as heroin and twice as sweet. Logan leaned over to kiss her cheek, cherishing the way she scooted closer, and the smile that spread across her lips. It was easy to get used to this. Having her beside him every morning, curling into that wonderfully soft body every night. What kind of man wouldn’t want that?

Again with that damn noise.

Sighing, Logan shook his head, sticking a finger into his ear and wiggling it as though trying to drill the strange sound out. He slipped out of bed, not caring if he was naked as they day he was born, in search of his cigar.

Ororo whimpered in her sleep, reaching out across the pillow for him. He waited until she frowned, half-sitting up at finding him gone.

“I’m right here, darlin’,” he whispered gently. “Go back to sleep.”

She smiled softly and lay back against the pillows at the sound of his voice. Logan smiled slightly, shaking his head. That woman was tactile to a fault. She needed constant contact, affirmation that he was actually there. He hoped it was just her nature and not fear that one morning she would awake to find herself alone. He’d made his decision; he wasn’t leaving her.

Shaking his head as the sound reverberated in his ears again, Logan stepped out onto the balcony and lit his cigar. Stretching in the cool night air, he contemplated waking Ororo just to drown that odd sound out. It had only begun two days ago, but it crept up on him every time the room was silent.

A dull, quick throb, it was the only way he could explain it. Ororo was as confused as he about it and even suggested he get his ears checked out. Perhaps something had gone wrong with his senses. Logan shrugged it off. It was likely a cracked pipe or something else just as mundane.

Shivering at the cold breeze, Logan ducked back inside to grab his sweats and matching sweatshirt. It was right about then that he realized something…strange.

Outside, the noise that had plagued his thoughts was muted. Inside, it was much louder. Having something to track, Logan abandoned his clothing and followed the sound. He narrowly avoided colliding with a slender table that was home to Ororo’s collection of Scooby-Doo memorabilia. The odd thump was coming from the bed.

Concentrating everything he had on following that strange noise, Logan closed his eyes and held his breath. He sank onto the soft bed, leaning and leaning until his ear came in contact with something soft. ’Ro.

“Holy shit.”

Not caring if he woke her now, Logan’s eyes snapped open and he yanked the covers back. He pressed his ear to her bare stomach, closing his eyes again as she blinked sleepily.

“Logan?”

“Shh. Shh.” He quieted her, listening for that strange noise again.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Logan did quick mental calculations while she watched him lay on her belly. It was possible, only slightly. Were they that lucky? Had Fate given them another chance so readily?

“’Ro?” He whispered in the dark, emotion choking his throat.

“Yes?” She replied breathily.

“I can hear him,” he continued, reveling in the steady sound of what he now knew was a heartbeat. “Darlin’, I can hear him.”

“What?” His love asked, reaching down to touch his cheek. “What are you saying?”

“There’s someone in here,” Logan explained as he opened his eyes. Ororo was looking at him with something like hope and fear written clearly across her face.

“Really?” She asked carefully, a wide smile breaking out over her beautiful lips.

Logan put his hand over her heart and quickly marked the steady tattoo of a tiny heart against hers. “That’s what it sounds like. It’s so fast.”

Ororo shook her head, that smile lighting up the dead of night. “By the Goddess. Logan…”

He could feel something swell in his chest, mixing with hope and instantaneous love that erupted inside of him with the realization that he’d created life with this woman again. Their child slept peacefully beneath her heart, ensconced in warmth and this time, knowing they loved him.

From the look in her lovely eyes, Ororo wanted to run around screaming with joy, but she contained it. Her free hand clutched his as he tapped their child’s heartbeat onto her chest, the other buried in his hair. Logan kissed his belly a dozen times, enjoying the way her belly bounced as she laughed quietly.

They stayed that way until dawn, neither ready to leave the bubble they’d erected around their family to face the real world. They could be late, just this once.

~**~


Bolivar Trask paused the videotape, a scowl covering his face. All of his hard work, the long, tedious hours were meticulously being destroyed. First at his offices and now in the eye of the public. It was now to be borne. Something had to be done about this.

“She’s becoming a liability,” he told the U.N. council before him. “Her relationship with Ambassador McCoy is also troubling.”

One of the aging men around the table sighed. “We cannot risk an outright attack on either of them.”

“You’re going to allow United Nations meetings and secrets to become pillow talk? Easy fodder for further attack?” Trask pushed, glancing at them all.

Another of the unusual assembly spoke, his rasping voice grating on Trask’s building migraine.

“Her reports have not revealed any state secrets, it is all public knowledge.”

“And all true,” chimed in the first speaker. “She has not lied.”

Trask sighed, watching the girl’s face on the paused tape. “Her scrutiny is making it difficult for my project to continue.”

“Then, perhaps, it is time to do away with it,” said the second speaker. “Your project has frequently come up short as of late.”

“We are too far along to simply scrap it all now,” Trask said reasonably. “If Miss Tilby would simply stop…”

“And how should we manage that? Hmm?” Another spoke up from the shadows. “If we have her killed, she becomes a martyr.”

“Discredit her,” Trask offered. “Reveal to the public that she is warming the bed of an Ambassador, a mutant ambassador at that. They will rally against her.”

“She is only a reporter, why spend valuable time and resources silencing one woman?”

“Her voice is too well known in pro-mutant circles,” Trask explained. “If she is not silenced, she will influence policy by involving the public. None of us wants that.”

The first speaker smirked. “You strike at the core of democracy.”

Trask shrugged nonchalantly. “The public doesn’t know what’s best for them. I do. The project must be allowed to continue unhindered. For that, I need Tilby out of my way.”

Silence. As the men surrounding him conferred with one another through looks and simple gestures, Trask waited impatiently. He had so little time and so very much to complete. Should a single thing go wrong, it would undo decades of careful planning of both himself and his predecessor.

“Discredit her,” the spokesman said at last. “But cause her no physical harm.”

“As for McCoy, leave him to us. He is swiftly outliving his usefulness.”

Trask bowed slightly as his aide readied their things. “Thank you all.”

He swept from the room, his aide trailing behind him quickly. He could hear the others begin to speak again, but ignored anything they might say.

“Shut her up,” he ordered his aide. “If words won’t do it, use a damn bullet. Just get that woman off of my tail.”

“Yes, sir.”

Trask grinned as they left the building, easing into the government-issued car. That blue mutie and his bitch would never know what hit them. And with them out of the way, he could take the X-Men apart one by one.

Starting with the one they called Storm.

~**~


Steam rolled through the bathroom, making a light sheen of sweat break out all over Ororo’s skin. She paid it no mind as she stared down at her flat belly, touching the flesh that housed something so miraculous as life itself.

Logan had only told her the night before, when he pinpointed the source of the strange noise that had driven him insane for two days. It had been a heartbeat all along, a third, tiny heartbeat that lived deep inside of her.

Fear fought to overtake her, but Ororo was having none of that. At least, not today. As her hands flattened over the dark flesh of her belly, she allowed a soft smile to curve her lips. She should have known it would take no time at all for Logan to fashion life inside of her again. Less than four months after the terrible miscarriage, she carried life within her a second time.

When she stepped into the shower, she wondered what their child would look like. She envisioned a strong, dark haired and caramel-skinned son with the piercing eyes of his father. Or perhaps a light eyed, white haired daughter, the spitting image of Ororo’s mother with a temper unmatched in the world.

Her daydreaming was silly, perhaps even a little childish, but she was unwilling to relinquish the giddy, girly feeling that came with a realized pregnancy.

Ororo carried Logan’s child and that made her world suddenly brighter.

“Good God,” she heard the familiar voice suddenly cut through the silent bathroom. “Are you turnin’ this place into a steam room?”

“Oh, be quiet,” Ororo said from beneath the suds of her shampoo. “It feels good.”

A blast of cold air told her he had stepped inside with her and she finished rinsing her hair quickly. When her eyes opened, she saw Logan standing in her shower, a goofy half-grin on his impossibly handsome face.

“What are you smirking at?” She questioned, wiping the water from her eyes.

“Nothin’,” he answered a little too quickly before ducking under the spray.

She shifted to allow him more room in the shower, leaning back to admire his masculine physique. There was something about the way water slid down the muscled curve of his backside that made her want to bite it. Hard.

“Whoa,” Logan said suddenly, sampling the air quickly. “What the hell are you thinking about?”

Before she could reply to his teasing words, the sound of a child’s scream echoed through the mansion.

Logan was out of the shower before Ororo could even process his movement. She followed just as quickly, grabbing a bathrobe to throw over her wet body as Logan tugged on a pair of sweats.

They flew together down the hall, following that terrible screaming as various other students and X-Men flooded the halls. Logan was out in front, leading the team as though he’d been born to. She trusted his instincts, which led them into the kitchen.

“Jesus!”

Logan scrambled backward, shaking violently. Ororo skidded to a stop. “Logan?”

“Jimmy.” He ground out, his body already reacting viciously to the poisonous metal lacing his bones.

Ororo turned back toward the kitchen, shoving her way through the assembled mutants. She caught sight of a dark haired young girl lying on the floor, blood pooling around her head as Jimmy tried in vain to wake her.

“She won’t wake up.”

“KITTY!”

“Piotr, get back!” Ororo snapped in her most commanding voice.

She rushed forward, ordering someone “ anyone “ to call 911. Jimmy whimpered as Ororo gently turned her young friend, finding a nasty gash on her forehead surrounded by what looked to be an impact bruise.

“She was coming from upstairs,” Jimmy explained. “I guess my mutation hit her mid-way down. She fell like a stone. Took half the floor with her.”

“It’s all right,” Ororo said gently, touching the boy’s shoulder, sparing the damaged ceiling barely a glance. “Go with Piotr. Go on.”

Though his face was ravaged by worry and grief, Piotr moved forward and collected Jimmy, trying to soothe the young man. Ororo cautioned the boys to stay out of the sitting room, where Logan’s body was likely trying to heal it’s way around the metal in his body.

Ororo felt Kitty shift in her arms, a low moan coming from her bruised lips.

“Kitty? It’s all right. Help is on the way.”

“N-No,” she whimpered. “B-Beast.”

“What about Beast?” Ororo questioned, looking about as though she would find him nearby.

“Phone.” With that, the girl promptly lost consciousness again.

Artie, whom had grabbed the telephone to call for the ambulance, appeared at Piotr’s side a beat later, his face ashen.

“Storm? It’s the hospital; they’re sending an ambulance, but Dr. McCoy…he’s in the ER himself. Something about a car accident.”

Ororo’s world spun. She gripped Kitty more tightly and glanced around the room. The only thing she could think to do was scream.

“LOGAN! Get the Jeep!”
Chapter Ten: Crash by Gaineewop


Chapter Ten: Crash

Everything you say to me
Takes me one step closer to the edge
And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe
Cause I'm one step closer to the edge
I'm about to break
~Linkin Park



Though his body was sore from head to toe, Hank was sitting up when Ororo arrived. He smiled, beckoning her closer. Noting that she looked ragged and worried, he took her trembling hand the moment she was within reach, squeezing delicate fingers tightly.

“How are you feeling?” She asked, taking a seat on the stool beside his bed.

“As though I was in a horrific car accident,” he answered honestly, smoothing the worry lines from between her brows with his free hand. “But I will survive.”

“By the Goddess, Hank, what happened?” Ororo shifted, leaning on the edge of his bed.

Hank closed his eyes briefly, wishing Patricia were here with him now. He adored his friend, but something about his Trish made everything seem so much less worrisome. He could relax with her, breathe. That level of comfort had ever been alien to him, even in his doomed relationship with the beautiful mutant beside him.

Fighting memories of the car flipping into a ditch, the culprits speeding away as his driver fought for control, Hank exhaled shakily.

“I think someone is trying to have me killed.”

Ororo, to her credit, did not gasp or fall into uncontrollable weeping. She swallowed audibly, exhaling sharply. The woman beside him tilted her head, regarding him quietly for several moments. He knew he looked terrible, cuts and bruises covering his face. The rash on his forearm was covered to prevent infection and it ached something awful.

“Someone rammed the back of my sedan,” he explained. “George tried to avoid the ditch.”

“I saw him,” Ororo said swiftly. “He’ll be fine in a few days.”

Hank exhaled again. Thank goodness.

Before either of them could speak again, Hank’s hospital room door was flung open. Trish stood in the entryway, her face ravaged by tears and worry. Ororo stealthily slipped away as the other woman rushed to Hank’s side, her eyes locked onto the furry blue man.

She enveloped him in her arms and Hank smiled through the pain. He smelled the oranges of her shampoo, felt her perfect body in his embrace…everything was fine now. With a soft kiss to her hair, he shushed her soft cries, trying to soothe her as much as he could.

“I couldn’t get a flight,” she whimpered quietly. “I finally bribed Tony to take me in the chopper, but…I’m sorry I wasn’t here sooner.”

“It’s all right,” Hank pulled her back to wipe the tears from her beautiful cheeks. “I’m quite fine.”

Trish’s palms flattened against his cheeks, her eyes darting over every wound and bruise. She catalogued them all, then met his blue gaze as though assuring herself that he would indeed live. She sat on the edge of his bed, unwilling to relinquish him for any reason.

“I love you,” she said plainly. Hank felt his heart stop in his chest.

Oh, he’d heard her admit to being in love with him before and she’d said those three cherished words numerous times in their long friendship. But something in her eyes and tone told him that this was different. He let her meaning wash over him, losing himself in the long-forgotten feel of being really and truly loved.

Hank reached up with his good arm, taking her chin between large blue fingers. “And I love you, my Patricia.”

“Oh, God. I’ll come back later.”

At Wolverine’s slightly teasing growl, Hank realized they were not alone. Trish giggled soundlessly, winking at Hank before she turned to face the others. Ororo waved slightly as Logan came to her side, taking her hand without any hint of embarrassment.

It fit, Hank thought while idly running his thumb over Trish’s knuckles. Something about that odd pair fit. He amended this wayward thought with the observation that he and Trish were slightly odd…and they fit to perfection.

“How’s my Kitten?” Ororo was asking when he came back to the here and now.

“What happened to Kitty?” Trish and Hank asked in eerie unison. Logan smirked.

“She’s conscious and Pete’s hovering,” Logan informed the other three mutants. “From what I got outta her, she was on the phone with the hospital about Hank here and went to phase into the kitchen so she could call us on the comm.. Jimmy happened to be in there and his mutation caught her mid-way down.”

“Bang,” Ororo finished with a sad shake of her head.

“Coupla stitches and they wanna keep her overnight, just to make sure she didn’t squash her melon.”

Trish turned back to Hank, jabbing a thumb over her shoulder toward Logan. “He’s just charming, isn’t he?”

“The light of our lives,” Beast quipped, glancing at the X-Man.

Logan’s answering smile was positively wicked.

“How long are you in for, Blue?” Trish asked quietly, fussing with his blankets.

“A few days,” he answered, tilting his head at her. “Will you be returning to Washington?”

Trish shook her head, biting her lip as she met Storm’s eyes across the room. The two women said something in that brief silence, any animosity seemingly gone.

“I’ll have Hank moved to the mansion,” Ororo said in a tone that brooked no argument. “Trish, Logan will take your things to the mansion, if you’d like to stay on with us.”

The raven beauty’s smile could have dimmed the sun. “I’d love to.”

“One big happy family,” Logan grunted, reaching for a cigar.

~**~


At just past dawn, Ororo found herself kneeling on the floor of her bathroom, her head resting on the cool tile of her tub. Stomach roiling unpleasantly, she fought the urge to turn it inside out for the fourth time.

In the week since Hank and Kitty’s dual accidents, things had somewhat settled at the school. Trish and Henry were still on the grounds, taking a much-needed break from their hectic lives in Washington. Ororo found herself even more captivated by Hank’s slightly neurotic and bubbly lover. Logan said on no uncertain terms that he liked the young woman.

She was an X-Man by default now.

“Damn,” Ororo whispered into the quiet, leaning over the toilet bowl again. “Please, my beloved child, stop it.”

Unfortunately, that child decided she needed to revisit her stomach contents again. Retching violently, she dimly wondered if this pregnancy would actually kill her. When she could get nothing more from the bottom of her digestive system, she floundered for the handle, flushing the contents down the toilet.

With her head back on the tile of her bathtub, she winced when the lights flickered on. Popping one eye open, she smiled weakly at the man standing in the doorway, shaking his head slightly.

“Were you even plannin’ on yellin’ for me? Or do you wanna do this alone?” Logan asked as he came into the room.

Ororo shrugged. He sighed, reaching for a clean washcloth and wetting it in the sink. He crouched beside her, wrapping a hand around the back of her neck. Oh, the cold cloth felt good against her heated cheeks as Logan lovingly stroked her face to clean it.

“Hold this,” he commanded gently while standing. Ororo obediently put the cloth to her forehead, holding it there.

Logan filled a glass with water and handed it to her. She refused it, feeling her nausea overtake her once more. The glass clinked against the counter as Logan set it down. Before she could order him out, he was crouched behind her, pulling her hair from her face while she retched again.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered when she finished.

“Why?” She questioned, leaning over the bowl and wiping her mouth. “I think I literally asked for this.”

“Doesn’t mean I like seein’ ya sick, baby.”

She smiled, her heart tripping at his words. Reaching for his hand, she rested it over her flat womb. “Baby is right. Some things I must endure for this child and I will.”

Logan snorted, rubbing her tummy softly. “You’re not that high and mighty. A minute ago I know you were ready to curse at this little person.”

Ororo glared at him out of the corner of her eye. “Perhaps just a little.”

He kissed the tip of her nose. “Its ok, don’t mean you don’t love him or her, ya know?”

She could only smile weakly. “I know.”

“Think you can get back in bed?” Logan turned to meet her eyes, rubbing small circles over the place where his child rested peacefully.

Feeling slightly better, comforted by Logan’s attentions, she nodded. She insisted on brushing her teeth after he helped her stand. When she was finished, he took her hand, leading her back into the bedroom they shared. He tucked her in gently before sitting on the edge of their bed, watching her carefully.

“I’m all right,” she assured him, taking his hand in hers.

Logan grunted. “You don’t do any of this alone, hear? Throwin’ up, throwin’ shit at me, nothing alone. Got that, woman?”

Ororo felt her heart trip again. Goddess, he could do nothing halfway. When he fought, it was with everything. He loved the same way, without remorse or apology. She wondered if he even realized how rare such a thing was. The moment he had decided to be with her, to father her child, he had given her his already battered heart.

The brash and reckless Wolverine handed her everything without extracting her promise to protect it. She didn’t know how to react to something so innocent, so overwhelming. He didn’t even know, she mused. He had no idea how precious such faith was. Ororo vowed to never break that trust.

“I got it,” she answered him with a gentle roll of her eyes. She shifted to lie on her back, smoothing her hands over her belly.

Logan’s smile was soft, filled with a sort of paternal pride. He reached over to touch her stomach again before leaning down to kiss the cotton-covered flesh. A long inhale told her he was marking her scent again. She allowed it, knowing his pack mentality was simply reaffirming that their baby was thriving.

“Scent’s stronger,” he said gruffly sniffing at her flesh again.

“What does it smell like?” She asked curiously as he stretched out across her legs with his face at her belly.

“Hard to describe,” he muttered. “Like you: rain and earth. Like me: smoke and adamantium. And somethin’ else. Somethin’ pure, innocent.”

Ororo grinned as he kissed her belly softly. “I smell like you?”

He growled, his hands suddenly gripping her hip. “Fuck, yes.”

Something in his tone made heat pump into her system, made the wanton inside her flare to life. She could easily blame her unborn child for the surge of hormones, but something told the weather mistress that it had more to do with Logan than anything else.

“You marked me with your scent,” she dropped her tone to a husky whisper, shifting her legs under him.

Logan sniffed at the air again. “Uh-huh. And now you’ve got sex on yer scent. Why’s that?”

“I want you.”

“Good answer.”

He gathered the thin cloth of her nightgown in his hands, dragging it over her thighs while he whispered to the child snuggled deep inside of her.

“You go to sleep. It’s Dad’s time with Mommy.”

Ororo giggled softly at his words. He surprised her every day with his loving, familial manner. It was as though their decision and child created what they both dreamed about. Family that nothing could destroy.

Logan’s lips teased the tops of her thighs, throwing all thought out of Ororo’s mind. She arched slightly into his touch, wanting him in ways she had never imagined wanting anyone. He feathered kisses over her thighs, his hands parting her knees with gentle urging.

“Storm? Wolverine?”

The couple in bed groaned in unison at the call from the security panel by the door. Logan stood, snarling, and slammed his hand into the button to answer Piotr’s call.

“What?”

“We may have a problem,” the young Russian said gently. “Could you both meet me in the War Room?”

Logan glanced at Ororo, but she was already pulling on a pair of jeans beneath her nightgown.

“Yeah,” the feral mutant sighed. “We’ll be right there.”

~**~

Beast and Trish were waiting with Piotr by the time Logan and Ororo got into the lower levels of the mansion, looking sleepy and rumpled. Logan was scowling, having been enjoying the stolen moments with the mother of his child in their warm bed. He watched her carefully as she sat down, wondering if she would need to empty her stomach again.

Pregnancy wasn’t fair, he thought. The poor mothers did all the work while Dad just sat around feeling useless.

Dragging his wandering thoughts from his love to Piotr, he plopped into a chair and put bare feet on the table.

“What’s up?”

Piotr swallowed hard, looking exhausted from his graveyard shift. The mansion ran in week-long shifts for security purposes, each of them switching shifts after seven days. Piotr was three days into his graveyard week and he seemed to be feeling the pain from it.

“Cerebro was scanning and found something in Boston,” the young man’s deep rumble replied as he indicated to the holo-screen before them.

“What is it?” Storm asked, leaning forward.

“A mutant, I think,” Piotr responded. “She’s in distress, I think her powers just came to her.”

“She appears to be alone,” Beast said somewhat sadly.

“Yes,” Piotr agreed. “But something is chasing her. I could not get a read on what.”

“Hank, someone has to go get her,” Trish cut in quickly, her eyes on the abstract image of the girl Cerebro provided. “She looks terrified.”

“I agree,” Storm stood. “Logan, Peter, suit up. You’re coming with me.”

“Nope.” Logan reached up and tugged her until she fell back into her seat with an ungraceful plop. “Yer grounded.”

The assembled mutants stared at him in horror. Logan sighed inwardly, his gut reaction just made confessional necessary. He wasn’t letting Storm ride off into danger, not with his baby wrapped in her womb. She could call him a sexist bastard, but he wasn’t letting her into the Blackbird. Simple as that.

Her eyes met his and she glared at him. Logan raised a brow, his eyes darting to her flat belly.

“You’re not goin’.”

“I’m pregnant, not disabled,” she fired back.

“Don’t care. It’s too dangerous.”

He was dimly aware of several started gasps around the room at Ororo’s revelation. She kept his gaze for several moments before sighing. She was as afraid as he to lose their second child.

“I can run the op just so well as you can,” he told her gently.

“All right,” she relented with a curt nod. “Take Bobby, then. Retrieve the mutant and bring her here. Avoid violence if at all possible.”

“You got it, darlin’.” Logan stood with the others, turning to her and kissing her quickly.

“Be. Careful.” She demanded as Piotr woke Iceman.

“I will.” Logan touched her cheek gently, giving her a reassuring smile before he ducked out of the room to prepare for his mission.

Ororo watched him go, her hands unconsciously going to her stomach. It hurt to let him go without her. She trusted Piotr and Bobby to keep him safe and vice versa. But being grounded, while safer for her baby, kept her out of reach to help her lover. She sent up a quick prayer, sighing when she heard the jet’s engines start up.

“Ororo?”

Turning at Hank’s call, she raised a brow in question. Hank and Trish were grinning at her widely. “Yes?”

“A baby?” Trish questioned with a slightly girly squeal.

Having revealed her condition, Ororo felt her smile widen until she feared it would take over her entire face. She exhaled swiftly, nodded as her hands smoothed over her belly.

“Yes. Logan and I are having a baby.”

Hank wrapped her into a one-armed hug as Trish rubbed her belly, calling her “Budda”. Ororo, basking in the well-wishes, allowed them to steer her into the med-lab for a complete work up. Everything would be fine, she mentally assured herself. Logan would be fine.

~**~

“He’s so tiny,” Trish was saying over the breakfast table a few hours later.

She held the first photograph Ororo had received of her baby following Henry’s thorough examination. Trish had remained in the room, babbling a mile a minute in her excitement. Ororo was grateful for her presence, adoring the feminine thrill of chatting with a ‘girlfriend’ over something so wholly womanly as a pregnancy.

“He looks like a tadpole,” Trish continued to gush. “Aww, I’m so excited.”

“I couldn’t tell,” Ororo teased, taking the photo back and staring at it.

Trish scooped another segment of her grapefruit into her mouth, grinning around it. She reminded Ororo of Jean, in some ways. The woman was giddy and vibrant, which made her laughter contagious. No wonder her darling Hank had fallen for this woman. Ororo felt comfortable with her now, discussing baby plans with her over a coffee-free breakfast.

The other woman had sworn off the cherished drink so long as she was at the mansion, just so Ororo wouldn’t be tempted. The gesture touched Ororo deeply.

“Do you want a boy or a girl?” Trish asked, sipping her juice.

“I don’t care,” Ororo said honestly with a grin.

“You should have a girl!” The other woman insisted. “Patricia is a lovely name.”

They shared a quiet laugh at this. “If I have a boy, I will name him Charles, I think.”

“I coulda called that,” Trish waggled her eyebrows. “What’s it like? Being pregnant, I mean?”

She let her new friend reach over, touching her belly again. She wondered if Patricia yearned for a child of her own. The woman seemed fascinated by the life growing inside of her friend.

“Odd,” Ororo answered with a chuckle. “Aside from throwing up every morning, I can’t tell the difference physically.”

“Well, I can,” Trish put a hand up as though to cover Ororo’s breasts from her sight. “Those things are huge.”

Ororo laughed heartily, covering her ample cleavage. “You know, I hadn’t noticed that until this morning. They are large and in charge.”

“Jeeze, you’ll take someone’s eye out with those things.”

The women dissolved into uncontrollable laughter as Hank breezed into the room. He’d discarded his sling just that morning and the bruises on his face were nearly gone. He raised a bushy blue brow at the women, making them laugh even harder.

“What on earth…?”

“Girl…talk…” Trish gasped.

“Oh, dear,” Hank shook his head. “You two are terrible.”

Ororo wiped tears from her face, winking at Trish as the big, blue mutant bounced into the seat between them. “What is it, Henry?”

“Your lab results,” he handed her the file. “You, my dear, are in perfect health and so is your unborn child.”

She released the breath suddenly caught in her chest. “Oh. Good.”

“I want you on prenatal vitamins,” he continued. “Your exercise routine must be lightened, I mean it.”

“Hank,” Trish defended. “She’s not invalid. Lighten up.”

The blue doctor huffed slightly. “I only want what’s best for her baby. I would be just as bad if it were our child, Patricia.”

Ororo waggled her brows at the dumbstruck woman. “Get her pregnant, Blue! I want a belly-twin.”

Trish blushed brightly and Hank cleared his throat. Ororo wished Logan had been here for that particular exchange, it was priceless.

“Um, I don’t think so,” Trish said quietly, her cheeks flaming. “Not that I don’t want children.”

“You want them?” Hank asked quickly, turning to her.

Ororo sat back, holding her ultrasound photo and grinning. This was better than that silly soap opera channel Kitty was always watching.

“Well, yeah,” Trish answered her beloved with a furrowed brow. “A few, actually.”

“Oh,” Hank frowned.

“Why?” Trish teased. “Wanna go make one right now? I’m up for it if you are, Cookie Monster.”

Hank cleared his throat, darting his gaze to an immensely amused Ororo.

“Trish…”

Both women frowned at the expression on his face, the lilt to his voice. Ororo was pleased to see that Trish knew that tone as well. The raven-haired woman snatched Hank’s chin, angrily bringing his face to within an inch of hers.

“Yes, I want to have your children, Henry.” She spoke clearly, leaving no room for doubt. “Don’t think that your big, furry blue butt won’t have kids if I’m around. Cause you will, fur or not.”

“Ooh,” Ororo cut in with a fond smile. “Marry her, Hank. Before I do.”

The two women chuckled brightly, happy when Hank relaxed and threw his good arm around Trish. Perhaps, Ororo thought, there was hope for Beast yet.

~**~

“We have a problem.”

Trask looked up from the meticulous organization of his desk with something like annoyance. His assistant came highly recommended, but the boy couldn’t find his own ass with both hands and a map.

“What is it?”

“Storm,” the man said, coming closer. “She’s pregnant.”

Trask stood abruptly. “What?

His aide sighed, handing Trask a thin manila folder. “Hank McCoy sent these results to a lab he works with. He had a full blood workup done on Ororo Munroe.”

Dark eyes filled with loathing as he scanned the paperwork copied from the Holden Medical Group. The mutant’s pregnancy was normal, roughly seven weeks along. He glared with hatred at the attached ultrasound photograph.

So, the girl was pregnant. He snorted at the man named as the father of the unborn child. Logan McCoy. Was the Secretary claiming that this man was his brother? Of all the ridiculous things…

“What do we do?” Trask’s aide asked with obvious concern. “This changes everything.”

“No,” Trask shook his head, moving to his filing cabinet. “It changes nothing.”

“She’s pregnant,” the other man said in surprise. “The public won’t hear of incarcerating a pregnant vigilante.”

“We won’t have to worry about the press,” Trask countered. “If you have everything in place.”

His aide nodded. “It’s done.”

“Then, stop worrying.” Trask slipped the folder into the full copy of Storm’s medical file. “Monitor her pregnancy. Did she take the bait?”

“No,” the man shook his head. “She sent the father, Iceman, and Colossus.”

“Damn it,” Trask sighed, rubbing his temple. “Ok, release the girl and abort. We’ll wait her out.”

“She’ll be more cautious now,” the aide opposed swiftly. “She had one miscarriage, she won’t risk another.”

“I know,” Trask slid behind his desk. “But she won’t be able to protect them all from the mansion. Move on Tilby. Now.”

“Yes, sir.”

With that, the younger man strode purposely from the office. Trask shook his head, looking up at the ceiling.

“Stupid girl,” he said with a slow, sadistic smile. “You’re mine now. All mine.”
Chapter Eleven: Innocence Lost by Gaineewop


Chapter Eleven: Innocence Lost

Speechless and frozen
Uncomfortable silence again
What did I do to make a scene so gory?
I’m no better than the ones before me
I’m in the middle of a break down
Watching you scream
In the middle of a break down
Screaming at me
~Hinder



The flight was swift and relatively uneventful. Aside from polite questions about his impending fatherhood, the younger X-Men were quiet. Getting up at four in the morning always put a damper on the day, especially for youngsters keen on sleeping in.

Logan adjusted the collar of his leather uniform as he moved down the thick metal ramp. They had landed the newly redone jet “ named the Blackbird now “ just south of Boston. The mutant they searched for would be only a few blocks away, according to the coordinates Kitty sent them a few moments before they landed.

He wanted to dwell on the warm glow that ‘Ro’s pregnancy had given him, but life would not allow that, of course. There was always some emergency, someone in trouble, something taking him away from his lover and their unborn child. He smiled slightly, thinking of that steady heartbeat and undeniable scent that consumed his days now.

“Stay close,” Wolverine ordered Iceman and Colossus. “Eyes open.”

They nodded silently, each alert for signs of danger. Logan reigned in his wandering thoughts, shoving Ororo and the baby out of his mind so he could concentrate on work. This was his place now, an X-Man, a teacher, a father.

He had to force the smirk to leave his face. If he kept strutting around, Storm was likely to fry his adamantium ass.

Dropping to a crouch, Logan put his nose to the ground and sniffed. He frowned almost immediately, motioning for the boys to stop just behind him. Wolverine’s sensitive nostrils never lied; he had learned to trust his instincts over the years.

“Gun powder,” he explained. “A dozen men, one woman. She’s afraid.”

The low, unmistakable hum of Colossus covering his body with that super-strong steel mingled with the less familiar “icing up” from Bobby. Logan closed his eyes, concentrating on his hearing to locate the missing mutant girl and whomever she was with.

Voices. Muffled and faint, he caught the sound from just to the left.

“Inside,” Wolverine pointed, standing to take the lead. “Careful, we don’t know what we’re up against.”

Each of the abandoned buildings bore signs of recent fire damage, likely due to the massive brush fire that had erupted in Missouri late last year. The small suburb was largely derelict now, wasting away while it’s former residents relocated to safer havens.

Colossus gently shouldered the building’s door open, allowing Logan inside once the decaying wood was cracked. He stepped inside silently, awaiting the voices and scents he searched for. Inside the vacant home was the stench of rot and death. Logan sent up a prayer to a God he didn’t know if he believed in. Life was different when you had something to go home to.

“Come on, Connor!” One gruff male voice said with something akin to a whine. “If we don’t hurry up, we’ll end up facing the mutie bastards.”

Logan snarled softly.

“Why don’t you do it?” responded a slightly nasal second male.

“Cuz the boss told you to.” A handgun’s slide clicked loudly.

Wolverine silently motioned for Colossus and Iceman to take positions opposite him, ready to rush the room at his command. Both boys looked unafraid, their trials with Stryker and at Alcatraz having toughened up the young bucks. Logan felt a twinge of sadness to see youth so quickly stolen away.

He shook his head. Damn, the impending birth of his child was already making him soft.

“P-Please…” came a teary female voice. Wolverine scowled. She couldn’t have been very old, a teenager at the most. “I didn’t do anything.”

“Shut her up,” barked a third male voice.

Logan crouched in the dim hallway, inhaling the scents of the men in the next room. Once he was relatively certain he knew where their enemies were standing, he motioned for his young companions to follow him.

At the sound of a sharp smack, Logan roared. He rushed the room, flanked by his furious companions.

Inside what appeared to be an old den kneeled a girl of perhaps sixteen. Her azure eyes locked onto Logan’s as he skidded to a halt. There were several men surrounding her bound form, one of them with a nickel-plated pistol poised at her temple.

“Help me,” the girl pleaded, tearing at Logan’s heart.

Snikt! Six blades of deadly adamantium sprang from his hands, which immediately clenched into fists. Colossus growled from beside him and he could feel the air chill as Iceman drew in cold from the air around them.

“Don’t move,” said the barking voice from before.

“Let her go, bub, or I’ll rip you apart.”

The man holding the pistol smirked. Logan snarled.

BANG!

“NO!”

His scream had come too late. Blood and gray matter sprayed the room as light left the cobalt eyes that begged for Logan to save her. The young girl slumped over, dead before she hit the dirty floor.

Before Wolverine could process what had just happened, Iceman and Colossus sprang into action. Like a force of nature, the two fell on the murderous soldiers. Ice flew and steel met flesh. Logan dove into the fray, his claws sinking into the chest of the first bastard he could reach.

Her eyes would haunt him forever. Logan kept the image of her pleading face in front of his mind’s eye as the three X-Men destroyed her killers. He didn’t know why they had done it or for what reason, but it scarcely mattered. They had killed a child in cold blood. That was a sin no priest could absolve.

Wolverine would never remember the battle or the faces of the men he killed. He would never clearly recall Colossus restraining him. He would, however, clearly recollect pulling the limp body of the stolen child into his arms, screaming rage and torment into the stillness.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered into her honey-blonde hair. “I’m sorry, kid.”

How long he remained that way was a mystery, but he released the girl’s body gently. After cutting the metal handcuffs that restrained her arms, he almost lovingly placed her in an abandoned bed, covering her body with a blanket. Colossus and Iceman said nothing, their faces reflecting righteousness in a way that should have made him proud. But all he could see was the girl’s eyes and the light leaving them so swiftly.

“Get their wallets,” he said gruffly to his companions. “Anything that might tell us who they were.”

“Uh,” Bobby said uncertainly. “I think I have the answer there.”

He handed Logan a shredded camouflage jacket. To Wolverine’s dismay, it bore the symbol of the United States Army, Special Forces. Looking back to his companions, Logan shook his head.

“Fuck.”

~**~


Ororo grinned into the mirror when she heard the wail of the jet descending into its place beneath the basketball court. Deciding she didn’t care if her hair was wet, she grabbed a heavy bathrobe and hurried out of the bedroom. Relief flooded her at knowing Logan was all right. Worry had made her stomach unsettled, which sent her to the bathroom twice during his absence.

Tossing a greeting to the children she passed, Ororo moved to the elevator, waiting patiently when she noticed it was already moving toward the upper levels of the mansion. A warm, welcoming smile curved her mouth as she hoped for good news.

That hope was dashed the moment the elevator doors opened.

One look at Logan’s face told her all she would ever need to know. Her heart ached, skipping several beats when she noted the blood stains on his hands. Without so much as a glance toward her, Logan brushed past her, heading for the stairs.

Shocked at his callous dismissal, Ororo gave immediate chase. He was not running from her anymore. If that meant she had to shock his adamantium ass, so be it.

She followed her troubled lover up the stairs and into their room, closing the door quietly behind her. Logan was in the bathroom; she could see him shedding his leather uniform through the open door. Waiting, Ororo tied the robe about her more securely, watching as Logan donned a pair of sweats and washed his hands.

He came out several minutes later, his face screwed into what should have been a terrifying scowl. One of his hands ran through the wolfish peaks of his hair as he searched the top of his dresser for an unsmoked cigar.

Ororo tilted her head, regarding him openly. She had limited options in dealing with the Wolverine. Without a doubt, she knew that he would not hurt her. Even if she did not possess the scent of his child, she knew he would never harm her.

Starting an argument was likely what he hoped for. He could easily push her away with angry words, find an excuse to pull back. It would be very easy to let him do so, to step back and allow him to wallow in whatever demons had found him on this mission. Ororo tossed the notion aside instantly. Logan didn’t need anger. Craving violence only reminded him of the guilt she could sense in him.

She decided a moment later that he needed something more. Moving across the room to him, she ignored his growled warning, an animalistic caution to back away. Storm blatantly overlooked the gesture, stepping up directly behind the man that was quickly stealing her heart. He stiffened, but she was persistent.

Wiggling her arms around his waist, she molded her chest to his back, resting her cheek on his shoulder. Ororo willed herself to relax against him, opening her completely to him without caution or concern. She kissed his bare shoulder, inhaling the sweaty male scent of him with a small smile on her face.

It took several moments before Logan reacted. Tension seeped out of his muscles and one of his hands came up to rest on hers. He leaned back as though silently basking in the support she was offering, even if it bewildered the self-proclaimed long wolf. Ororo continued too hold him, wondering if he had ever allowed someone to just be there for him, through heaven and hell.

He turned to her slowly, keeping her arms around him. His eyes met hers, filled with guilt and sorrow. The sight of him so torn shredded what remained of Ororo’s heart. She gripped him more tightly, as though she could tether him to the world all by herself. Unwilling to let go, she felt her heart skip when Logan lowered his forehead to touch hers, his eyes closing as he breathed deeply.

“I couldn’t save her,” he said at last, in a whisper filled with mourning.

Horrified by the implication of those four whispered words, Ororo shushed Logan gently. Tugging him closer, she wrapped him into her arms, winding her hands around his neck to keep him close.

Ororo tugged him toward her, walking them toward the bed. They fell onto the soft blue duvet, Logan pulling her into his arms without pause. She touched his face with tender, exploring fingers, somehow wanting him to realize she was with him, she would remain no matter what horrors had befallen the X-Men in Boston.

He stared at her, unguarded and surprised, watching as her hands traced every line of his face.

“Why are you so good to me?” Logan whispered.

She shrugged, smiling slightly. “I care for you.”

Logan’s dark eyes caught hers, holding the gaze across the scant space that separated them.

“I love you.” His whisper was honest, cutting through to her heart and making her eyes sting with tears. “I love you, ‘Ro.”

Unable to articulate the words in response, afraid that her love for their child might be clouding what was truly in her heart, Ororo leaned forward to kiss him. If he caught the hesitation, he didn’t comment, choosing to let the moment fall away.

Oh, she thought while her heart stuttered. He loves me. Wolverine loves me.

Logan drew her back into his arms, one hand resting on her flat belly, where their baby rested comfortably. She smiled against his lips, adoring the tenderness in his touch. He growled playfully, covering her body slightly with his. Ororo giggled girlishly, pressing at his shoulders as she remembered her check up with Henry.

She would fret about the mutant girl another time. Logan needed something good to hold on to, lest he be lost to guilt once more.

“Wait,” Ororo breathed, reaching over to the nightstand. “I got something for you.”

“Huh?” He sighed, dropping his head to her chest. “Can’t we just have wild, crazy sex and call it a day?”

Ororo laughed merrily, fishing the small box wrapped in green paper. She handed it to him, sitting against the headboard to watch as he looked at the gift as though it would bite him. Had anyone ever given him a gift before?

He tore into the paper a moment later, his expression turning unreadable the moment he noticed what was so carefully wrapped inside. Ororo held her breath, watching his face cautiously for any signs that he was displeased.

The photograph of their unborn child was placed lovingly into a wooden frame. She had carved the date into the bottom of the frame, titling the picture “Baby’s First Photo”. Logan reached up, touching the glass gently, his expression suddenly reverent and tender.

“That’s…?”

“Yes,” she replied to his whisper. “That’s our baby.”

“Holy shit,” Logan breathed, glancing between the frame and her belly. “He’s so little.”

Ororo chuckled silently. “Trish said the same thing.”

Logan set the frame on his nightstand, turning it so he could see it from the bed. He pulled Ororo back into his arms, settling them against the pillows as she curled into his warm embrace. Logan thanked her with a kiss, his arms winding around her until she was putty in his hands. She thought, with emotion choking her throat, that Logan had finally realized he held his family when they embraced this way.

Oh yes, horror could wait for another day.

~**~


Three weeks following the terrible mission to Boston found Storm and Wolverine watching the ten o’clock news with Beast in the main sitting room of the mansion. Hank was due to return to Washington shortly, so the trio could almost always be found together in the last days of the Ambassador’s sabbatical.

Henry watched the other couple with something like bittersweet happiness welling in his chest. Ororo looked far happier than he could ever remember seeing her. She idly rubbed her pregnant belly as she lounged in the safety of her lover’s embrace.

Logan, for his part, sipped a beer with one arm tossed carelessly over his beloved’s shoulder. The two looked comfortable together, as though the state of “togetherness” was simply the way things had always been and the way they would ever remain. Henry envied that assurance, the security that came with knowing where one belonged.

He was finding that sense for himself more and more elusive as the weeks dragged by. Though he loved his work in Washington, there was always something so homey about returning to the mansion. Xavier had given him a place to belong after years of self exile in a world he feared would never understand him.

The need to give back to that dream, to the man lost in the tides of battle, pulled him a little more every day. He found himself fascinated by his former fiancée and how she managed the school she had once attended herself. Though she had found an ally and partner in the feral Wolverine, she did a majority of the work alone. He was needed here and in Washington.

Hank grumbled to himself. He would pay good money to return to the days when decisions were simple.

“Hey, Furball?” Logan questioned suddenly, using the nickname Hank secretly enjoyed.

“Yes?” He answered, watching Ororo itch her stomach.

“You up for some Danger Room before we call it a night?”

“Ooh,” Ororo said with a grin. “Can I play as well?”

“No!” Both mutant men said in unison, glaring at her.

Storm pouted prettily. “You boys have all the fun.”

“Baby makin’ ain’t fun?” Logan asked, raising a dark brow.

“Oh yes,” she rolled her eyes heavenward. “The constant nausea, backaches, breast tenderness…”

“Hey! Watch what you’re sayin’ in front of the former boyfriend,” Logan said as he crushed his beer can.

“It is nothing I have not seen before,” Hank chimed in, determined to get Wolverine’s goat.

“Hey!”

“Actually,” Ororo continued to tease her child’s father. “They’re bigger now.”

“I assure you, I noticed.” Hank gave her a friendly leer.

They both dissolved into laughter when Logan covered her chest with his hands, glaring from his lover to the blue mutant with playful anger.

“You two shut up. I mean it.” Logan admonished. “Or I’m tellin’ Trishy.”

“Oh no,” Storm put a hand to her forehead dramatically. “Anything but that!”

The woman winked at him, settling into her lover’s arms again. Hank finally answered Logan that he would, in fact, enjoy a decent Danger Room session after the news report. The other mutant nodded as he opened another beer.

Hank settled back in his chair, his gaze flickering back to the screen. He missed his beloved Patricia, more so than he really wanted to let on. The woman had gone tearing off back to Washington upon learning what had happened to the X-Men team in Boston. She was certain that the Special Forces Logan had disposed of belonged to Bolivar Trask.

The woman went with her gut in all things. She’d packed her bags, kissed Hank rather seriously, and darted back into the fray. Nothing could stop that woman when she was on a roll and judging from the overly excited phone call the mansion had received several hours ago, she was definitely on one hell of a roll.

But he missed her. Oh, how he missed his beloved Trish.

“There she is,” Logan said a moment later, setting his beer down.

Hank sat up, resting his elbows on his knees as Patricia’s lovely face came onto the screen. She seemed to be standing in the main lobby of the Pentagon. Her long dark hair was swept up from her face, her eyes reserved and serious. Hank frowned, wishing she were not so very far away.

“Thank you, Mitch,” her clear, authorities voice rang through the invisible microphone attached to her lapel.

“Secretary Bolivar Trask has spent the last two weeks under fire here at the Pentagon. His policies regarding treatment of mutant prisoners has been called into question by many, including the President himself.”

“Hey, Ro,” Logan whispered. “Remind me to never make that woman mad at me.”

She swatted at him familiarly, giving Trish her undivided attention.

“Trask’s views on mutants and mutant criminals have always been somewhat more reserved than most here in Washington. He even supported a Registration Act that could have given the government the right to terminate any mutant deemed too powerful.”

“Trish,” Hank whispered, worry clutching his heart. “Careful now, my dear.”

“Though the bill was never passed, Trask’s vehement disregard for mutant lives has been the subject of much recent debate. Has the Secretary gone too far? Many have said, yes. While Secretary Trask has made many powerful friends on Capitol Hill, others have stepped in to put a stop to the man’s tyrannical one-man crusade against mutants.”

“Nicely said,” Ororo approved quietly.

Hank felt dread grip his very soul. He resisted the sudden, powerful urge to call Trish, to ensure she was safe. The impulse was squashed quickly.

“Just this afternoon, a committee hearing was held in regards to the Secretary’s brutal tactics. This is following the grisly discovery of a young mutant woman in Boston. The girl, only fifteen years old, was killed execution style. Sources have linked the senseless murder to the taskforce Trask has led for the last six months.”

“Oh hell,” Logan whispered. “She’s throwin’ the gloves off.”

“The press was not allowed into the meeting but…”

Trish stopped as the sound of a bullet echoed from the microphone. Her eyes went wide with fear and pain, even as several people screamed in the background. Papers fell from her manicured hands as the cameraman promptly dropped the camera.

Hank was on his feet, roaring and weeping in the same instant. He dimly heard Wolverine shoo Storm from the room as his heart broke all over the mansion’s floor.

TRISH!

The screen flickered, showing two very shaken anchors as they tried to distract the public from a live shooting. Beast roared again, pain gripping his soul as his brain processed what he had just seen. They had shot his beautiful Patricia. Had they killed her?

Lust for murder brought a coppery taste to the back of his throat, this inhuman rage alien to the normally docile Hank. Beast turned with hatred in his eyes, noticing Ororo hovering in the doorway and Wolverine between them.

Snikt!

“Don’t do it, man,” Wolverine snarled. “Calm the fuck down!”

Beast roared.

“Don’t make me put you down, Hank!”

With no thought as to the consequences, the Beast lunged for the Wolverine.
Chapter Twelve: Fear by Gaineewop


Chapter Twelve: Fear

But I fear
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose
Here in this lonely place
Tangled up in our embrace
There’s nothing I'd like
Better than to fall
But I fear
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose
~Sarah McLachlan



Logan understood pain. He could deal with it, grit his teeth through it, rage because of it. There was little about it he didn’t know on an intimate level. Physical pains, emotional pain, torture, hatred, murder.

Yeah, he knew about pain. He knew it so well there were times he wondered if he knew anything else.

And in this moment, pain nearly got the best of him. Watching Trish’s eyes widen with fear, the gunshot resonating through the microphone was bad enough. Knowing that Hank was likely to lose his mind made him order pregnant Ororo out of the room. One feral was bad enough, Wolverine could handle Beast.

He could, physically. What Logan found himself unprepared for was the way his friend’s pain affected him. His heart ached in his chest as Beast flew at him, spitting and snarling.

Logan was fast and grabbed his friend in a headlock. One well-placed knee winded the big blue mutant, knocking him effectively to the ground. Ororo whimpered from behind him.

“You stay back!” Wolverine shouted. “Stay out, ‘Ro.”

Beast was still screaming, roaring, weeping. Logan held him tightly, locking his legs around the larger man to keep him immobile. Hank would never forgive himself if he hurt someone, especially given Storm’s condition. Logan could restrain him, talk him down.

“Its ok, Hank,” Logan said soothingly. “Its ok to be afraid. Its all right to be pissed off, but you gotta keep it together, man.”

Hank howled. Wincing against the echo of the terrible sound, Logan shushed his friend.

“I know, man.” He continued softly. “But if you don’t calm down, we can’t find out if she’s ok. Stay with me, Hank. Come back.”

Heartbreaking sobs wracked Beast’s body as the fight eked out of him. Slowly, gently Logan released him, taking Hank by the shoulders and embracing him in a manly fashion. The sound of Ororo’s voice came to him, giving away the fact that she was on the phone with Trish’s boss, no doubt finding out where she had been taken.

“T-Trish…” Hank wept, his clawed hands grasping Logan’s shoulders.

“I know, man,” Logan swallowed hard, wondering how badly he would be off if someone had hurt ‘Ro. “We’ll go see her. I’ll go with you.”

“Damn Trask,” the furry mutant continued. “I told her…I told her to be careful. Told her they would silence her.”

Logan saw red. He took several deep breaths to kill the impulse to rage himself. He liked warm and bubbly Trish. He enjoyed talking with her about politics and football, he felt the bond between she and Storm as keenly as his lover.

He clearly saw the love in Hank’s eyes when she walked into a room. Trish was family now, damn it. This wasn’t going to be ignored.

“Henry?”

At Ororo’s voice, both men turned. Logan’s heart went out to her, noticing the tears she kept in tight check.

“She’s at the hospital,” the woman informed them. “She’s alive.”

Hank scrambled to his feet, trembling violently. Logan steadied him, taking the keys Ororo handed him wordlessly. He kissed her quickly, catching her gaze so that he could say everything that needed saying without words.

“Be careful.”

With that, the two men raced out of the house.

~**~

“Patricia took the round to the chest. It entered to the left of her spine and exited just beneath her sternum. She’s lucky to be alive.”

Henry stared at the doctor in mute horror, the sights and sounds of the hospital unnoticed to his fractured mind. Several of Patricia’s friends were in the waiting room with him, but he ignored them all. The cameraman had taken the second shot meant for Trish, likely saving her life. The boy would be in surgery for several more hours.

The drive to the airport had been a blur. Using his UN connections, he’d secured a flight from New York to Washington within minutes, but it had taken several hours to actually get to the hospital where Trish was being treated.

They had no suspects and the rifle was abandoned at the scene. No trace evidence could be found. Logan had agreed with Hank’s suspicions of a professional hit. That knowledge did not make the pain inside of him any better. Hank still felt as though a part of him was dying and he would until he held Patricia in his arms.

“The bullet missed her internal organs, but the blood loss at the scene wasn’t helpful. I expect Patricia to make a full recovery, provided she takes it easy for the next month or so.”

“When can I see her?” Hank demanded, heedless to the restraining hand Logan put on his arm.

“I’ll send the nurse down as soon as Patricia is out of recovery.”

“Thanks, doc,” Logan answered while Hank steadied himself.

“Of course,” the young doctor paused. “She was asking for you, Dr. McCoy.”

Hank felt tears sting the back of his eyes. He should have been there. She shouldn’t have had to face the fear and pain alone. Why did he let her return to Washington without him? Were his political goals overshadowing everything in his life? He had told Trish that Trask would take her out if she began stomping too large a path in his direction. Why hadn’t he listened to his instincts?

As the doctor moved away, Henry turned to his companion. Though he knew Logan would have preferred to be at home with his lover and child, here he was. The shorter man took a seat in a nearby chair, stretching his arms and rolling his neck from side to side.

Hank rubbed his hands on his dark slacks, coming over to take a seat beside his friend. Never in a million years would he have thought to look to Wolverine for moral support, but here he was. He had taken care of the hotel just down the street, had clothing brought for Hank by his assistant, called Ororo with updates so she would not worry herself sick.

Though he knew he should insist his friend return home, Hank selfishly chose not to. Logan’s swift reaction time to his feral state likely saved someone from getting hurt. He would never have forgiven himself if he had caused Ororo more pain or “ God forbid “ injured one of the children in her care.

Logan, to his great surprise, was a calming influence. Should trouble arise, he knew he had backup of the best variety. He fretted, however, about Ororo’s security. Even the hallowed ground of Xavier’s haven could be breached. He trusted her to keep the children safe, and the elder among them to protect her. Still…

“Ambassador?”

No. It couldn’t be. He wouldn’t dare.

Hank stood slowly, turning his head until he caught sight of the dark, brooding man that was the cause of his current strife. The hot violence returned, struggling to be free as Hank faced Bolivar Trask.

Logan was on his feet as well, his hands clenching into fists. It was Hank’s turn to calm Logan with a single, furry palm on his shoulder. They could not risk open confrontation, not here among so many innocent souls. They would have to behave as gentlemen.

“Trask.” Hank’s voice was a low growl, which forced Logan to move closer. “What are you doing here?”

“Checking on Miss Tilby, of course.”

Copper flooded his tongue again, the thirst for blood almost a living thing inside of him. Logan shook his head almost imperceptibly. There were likely guards nearby, waiting for the opportunity to strike at the two mutants.

“Like any of us believe that,” came the youthful voice of Trish’s protégé, Melissa Fredrick. “You’re just hoping she’s dead.”

“Mel,” said Mitch as he took her hand. “This isn’t the time.”

“Bullshit!”

“Melissa, calm yourself,” Hank said soothingly. The girl clenched her jaw and glared at Trask, but she heeded Mitch’s entreating embrace and stepped back.

Hank and Logan moved closer to Trask.

“So you’re Trask,” Logan said almost causally. Hank could read the alert stance of his friend, knowing at any moment his hands could bring forth death and destruction.

“Wolverine.”

If the easy greeting surprised Logan, he didn’t let it show. Hank fixed Trask with an angry glare; standing so close only the three in the immediate area could hear his words. Oh yes, Trask would pay for this attack on Patricia. Somehow, Henry would bring him to justice.

“I’m surprised to find you here, Ambassador,” Trask said almost conversationally. “I had no idea you shared so close a relationship with Miss Tilby.”

“Yeah,” Logan answered. “She’s close with all of us.”

Trask glanced around, his sharp eyes taking in every worried and angry face in the waiting room.

“And where is Xavier’s heir? I am shocked to see that Miss Munroe has kept herself apart from this.”

Logan growled. Hank kept his face impassive by the grace of God alone.

“She is keeping a close eye, I assure you.”

“No doubt her delicate condition prevents her from being here in person.”

Trask’s tone was nearly giddy, making blood run cold through Hank’s veins. He refused to flinch from the steely gaze, a thousand questions rushing through Hank’s mind so quickly it nearly winded him.

“Yes,” Hank said with faux joviality. “She is very excited about the impending arrival.”

Trask turned to Logan. “I believe congratulations are in order.”

“Yeah,” Logan grinned, baring sharp canines. “Thanks.”

“Do you honestly think we believe this hogwash?” Hank questioned quietly. “This charade will not last for long.”

“Perhaps not,” Trask replied in an equally soft tone. “But I will see justice done.”

“Wanna see justice?” Logan inquired, raising one hand. “I’ll give ya justice, ya murderin’ bastard.”

The smile that curved the dark man’s lips was terrifying in it’s righteousness. This man had no conception of what he was doing, of who he was hurting. There were no consequences to him, nothing but a bleak black-and-white sense of right and wrong.

“It’s been a pleasure chatting, gentlemen,” Trask said a touch louder. “Please give Miss Munroe my congratulations and regards. Do tell Miss Tilby that I hope she makes a speedy recovery.”

“I will.” Hank nodded. “Good night, Secretary.”

“Ambassador.”

Without a look back or even a hint of fear, he turned his back on Logan and Hank. As he moved away, Logan snarled under his breath, the crackling of metal on metal hinting that he was popping the knuckles in his lethal hands.

“He knows,” Logan growled to Hank.

“I understand that,” Hank said thoughtfully. “We are being watched more closely than I had anticipated.”

“I don’t like it, Hank,” the feral replied. “He’s comin’ after my woman.”

Hank was amused for the first time since Patricia’s shooting. He looked to his friend, a smile touching his blue lips.

“Your woman? Does Ororo know you refer to her as such?”

To his credit, Logan kept his angry scowl in place for several seconds before he broke into a small grin. “Shut up, Furball.”

They sat back down, each man consumed by his thoughts. Hank looked down at his hands, wondering how deep they were all in for it. Between the car accident, Trask’s vendetta against Storm and Patricia’s shooting things seemed rather bleak for the heroic X-Men. The blue mutant sighed, looking back to Logan.

If nothing else, they had a birth to prepare for. The coming of a child should not be so shrouded with anxiety and fear.

“How does it feel, Logan?” Hank asked suddenly.

“How’s what feel?” The other man responded, staring at the floor.

“Ororo’s pregnancy,” he supplied, watching the expressions on Logan’s familiar face.

“I don’t know, you’d have to ask her,” he quipped, making Hank put an exasperated hand to his forehead.

“Logan.”

His friend was silent for a moment, his gaze faraway and expression unreadable.

“It’s weird,” he admitted softly. “I mean, we both wanted this and all, but it ain’t real yet, I think.”

“She will begin to show soon, I suppose that will help,” Hank offered kindly.

“Maybe,” Logan grunted. “It’s amazin’, Hank. I can’t describe it. We’ve made a whole person, on purpose even. I can hear the baby’s heartbeat, taste the change in her scent…It’s like bein’ home for the first time in my life. I can’t get enough of that feeling.”

The back of his eyes prickled with tears, the emotion in the usually stoic man’s words so honest it made Hank look away. His beloved weather goddess had no idea what kind of man now handed her his heart. There was so much in Logan that begged to be soothed, to be loved, how could anyone deny him? Ororo had chosen well, he believed. Logan was loyal to a fault and deadly when something he loved was threatened.

Their child would never be lacking for love or affection, much less security. Hank felt that last piece of his heart that he believed would always be Ororo’s come back to him. He would always adore her, love her as his friend, but things were as they ought to be.

“You love her,” Hank observed quietly.

“You’ve got no fuckin’ idea,” Logan chuckled mirthlessly.

“I’m happy for you both, Logan, I hope you realize that.”

His friend nodded immediately, still staring at the floor.

“Shitty part is she don’t love me back, Furball.”

The sheer pain in those simple words lanced Hank’s heart. “What?”

“She cares for me, a lot, but she ain’t in love. Just the way it is.” Logan shrugged, finally sitting back and meeting Hank’s gaze.

If she didn’t love this man, if she held back her heart from him, she was a damn fool. Here was everything she had wanted “ even the things Hank himself could never provide “ and she seemed to be holding back. Why? What frightened her so?

“Don’t worry about it,” Logan said with another shrug. “It’s not a big deal.”

“It is,” Hank replied. “Give her time.”

“That’s all I’ve got, bub.”

Before either of them could speak again, a petite nurse came from the elevator banks, looking through the crowd carefully. As though she were afraid of being mobbed for news of the injured reporter, she cleared her throat.

“Doctor McCoy?”

He stood with Logan at his side. “Yes?”

“Oh,” the girl blinked at his appearance. Hank inwardly winced. “Um. Miss Tilby has been moved and she’s asking for you. Loudly.”

Hank smiled, nodding his head. “Of course.”

Logan touched his shoulder, jerking his head down the opposite end of the hall. “I’m gonna call ‘Ro again to say goodnight. I’ll come check on you two in a minute.”

Understanding that Logan wanted to give Hank some time alone with Patricia, the blue mutant nodded curtly. “Tell her goodnight for me as well.”

“You got it.”

The two broke apart, heading toward opposite ends of the same hall with much on their minds.


~**~


She felt like death warmed over. Groggy from the various medications pumped into her system in the last…however long it had been. She could still feel the bullet tearing through her flesh, the panic and fear she had known in that single moment.

Over the years, she’d known friends and co-workers who’d taken a bullet, usually in some hostile war zone. They always said they couldn’t remember the instant the projectile tore into their bodies. Trish thought they were all insane.

She could remember, with eerie clarity, every nanosecond of the damn shooting. Hot tears leaked from her eyes as she stared at the ceiling. Damn it. She needed her Hank.

As though he’d heard her silent call, the door to her room opened. The enormously blue form of the man she loved slipped into the room. He was quiet, even when her eyes immediately locked onto his. She offered him a smile, teary smile as he closed the door behind himself with a faint click.

“Oh,” he whispered brokenly. “My beloved?”

“Hank,” she croaked, still aching from the intubation tube.

Raising one pale hand, she beckoned him closer. Hank flew to her side, taking her limp hand in his. Trish closed her eyes briefly, drawing on the strength he carried so innocently inside of him. She felt wetness on her palm and opened her eyes, not surprised to find her love was weeping.

She reached up as much as her chest wound would allow, touching his face tenderly.

“I’m right here,” she whispered. “I’m not going anywhere, Henry.”

Hank took her hand, pressing her palm to his lips. Her heart ached at the broken sound coming from his lips, the pain she could feel coming off of him in waves. She drew him closer, allowing him to shift her IV tubing so he could kiss her lips.

“I have never in all my life been so afraid, Patricia,” Hank whispered. “My God, I went feral.”

Trish chuckled weakly. “Feral? Like Logan? All growly and shit?”

Hank shook his head, fondly rolling his eyes. “Yes. All “growly” and shit.”

“Huh,” she cleared her dry throat. “That’s nice.”

“Morphine?” He asked, raising a blue brow as his eyes dried.

“Mmm,” she said, smacking her lips. “Morphine good.”

Her blue companion threaded their fingers together, resting their joined hands on the bed gently. Trish sighed contently, everything seeming to be right back on course now that Hank was with her. She couldn’t escape the fear that threatened to overwhelm her, but it was easier to ignore with her big, blue sentinel standing by her side.

“How’s Rob?”

“We’re not sure yet,” Hank replied softly. “He is still in surgery.”

Trish frowned, sadness welling in her throat. “He’s been with me for years.”

“I know. He saved your life.”

Tears leaked from tired eyes again. “Remember when I was in Rwanda? I called you at like two in the morning?”

“I remember,” Hank answered.

“I told you I should get shot to get a peek behind enemy lines? Rob told me I was insane.”

Hank smiled softly. “Yes, I remember that clearly.”

Trish dissolved into quiet, shoulder-shaking sobs. Hank gingerly put his arms around her, letting her wind her hands around his neck. She soaked his fur with her tears, sorrow taking over now that she could be certain of her immediate safety.

“Don’t let go,” she pled with her beloved Henry. “Don’t let me go, Blue.”

“I will never let you go, Trish.” He answered, kissing her forehead. “Rest, my love. I will watch over you.”

As though his words had induced a coma, Trish drifted into blissful darkness knowing he would never break that promise.


~**~

She was in bed with her book propped on her thighs, a carrot stick in her hand when the telephone rang. Ororo popped the remainder of the carrot into her mouth, used her finger to mark her page and picked up the private line.

“Logan?”

“Nope.” His voice was filled with amusement. That had to be a good sign.

“How are you, darling?” Ororo asked of her lover, smiling at the simple pleasure in hearing his voice as she finished chewing on her snack.

“I’m fine, had somethin’ interestin’ happen a minute ago though.” She heard him inhale and exhale. He was smoking.

“Oh? Did the Volkswagen Bus filled with cheerleaders finally arrive?” Teasing him about a revealed fantasy always got his goat.

“Oh, yer funny,” he chuckled. “Not exactly.”

The weighted pause made Ororo unconsciously flatten a hand to her belly. She could almost feel the change in her Wolverine, the things he was leaving unsaid. Something was worrying him. That worried her more than anything.

“Logan?”

“Trask was here,” he said quickly. “He wanted to congratulate us.”

Ororo’s hand flexed slightly, her eyes going to her nightgown-covered stomach. Her enemy knew about her child. How? She did not show yet, nor had she even left the mansion in several weeks. Trish would not have told anyone, knowing the danger.

“Darlin’?”

“I’m here,” she said breathlessly. “Logan…”

“He won’t hurt either of you,” her lover said harshly. “Don’t even go thinkin’ that. He ain’t comin’ near the two of you, I swear, baby.”

Ororo fought the fear back, relaxing her hand a fraction as she shifted the phone against her ear. “I’m scared.”

Admitting her alarm cost her heart a great deal. Never in her life had she willingly admitted to fear, even to Jean or Henry. She felt her heart reaching for Logan, wanting to drown in the security and unfettered love that seemed to flow so easily from him.

“Don’t be scared, baby,” Logan soothed in a tone most would believe him incapable of. “We’ll be ok.”

Taking him at his word, Ororo set her book aside and adjusted the phone once more.

“How’s Trish?”

“Hank’s with her now,” he said, obviously enjoying the subject change. “Bullet missed anything important, clean through and through, but they had a hell of a time stitchin’ her up.”

“How’s Robbie?”

“Cameraman? Dunno yet.”

“When are you coming home?” Ororo pouted, letting the action filter into her words. She was more than thrilled that Trish was all right, but she missed her Wolverine terribly.

He had been gone twenty-four hours now, most of the time spent in a panic as they awaited word during Trish’s long surgery. She didn’t like being separated, though she knew Hank needed him more than she did at the moment.

“Soon, darlin’.” There was an unfamiliar catch in his voice. “You doin’ ok?”

“Aside from the mind-numbing panic and nausea, I’m fine.”

“Baby givin’ you grief?” His question was affectionate.

“It is your child. Are you surprised?” She teased in return.

“Nope,” Logan chuckled. “Go to bed, baby. I’m headin’ in to check on Trish and then going to sleep for a few hours.”

“All right, will you call me in the morning?”

“You know it, ‘Ro.” He paused, as though contemplating. “I love ya.”

He hung up before she could reply. Ororo stared at the receiver for a long moment before cradling it. Logan didn’t expect her to return the words probably because she hadn’t yet. Swallowing hard, Ororo put both hands to her belly.

She didn’t know if she loved him. She could, yes. There was amazing potential for her to fall head over heels for their resident feral. Ororo conceded that she already carried his child, which some could argue was an ultimate show of love. But she had known going into this that Logan did not have her heart.

Did he know that now? Was he aware of just how much she was holding back?

Deciding no more could be worked out tonight, Ororo placed her book on the nightstand and switched the light off. She turned onto her side, smiling down at her tummy. Sleep would come eventually; when she forced herself to forget Logan wasn’t beside her.

~**~


“Engaging night vision.”

The screen blinked for a moment as the mutant woman pulled the covers up to her shoulders.

“She’s alone,” the other man replied. “I don’t see why we don’t take her now.”

“Alone?” The first snorted. “She’s got over twenty mutant kids in that school, most willing to die for her.”

“So? They’re kids. We should go when that animal isn’t there.”

“Yeah, well, our orders are to watch and keep our traps shut.”

Both men glanced at the green-tinted screen, watching as the pregnant mutant rubbed her stomach lovingly.

“God, that’s disgusting. These things breed like us.”

“Too bad, though. She’s a fine lookin’ woman.”

“Yeah, too bad.”

They went back to their football game, ignoring the woman several miles away as she lay alone in the dark.
Chapter Thirteen: Baby Bump by Gaineewop


Chapter Thirteen: Baby Bump

I made you think, you don't understand
There were many walls you had to climb
If you really wanted to be mine
I made you think, you don't understand
After all the hoops I put you through
Now I see that I'm in love with you
~Christina Aguilera



Ororo was waiting on the front porch when the telltale lights of Logan’s Jeep bounced through the thick darkness. She had her hands on the gentle swell of her stomach; eager to show Logan how she had grown in his week away.

He’d remained with Hank, though the blue mutant had insisted he return home. Though he’d never voiced it, Ororo knew that he wanted to ensure Trask would make no further move against Trish or Hank while they were in the open.

The Jeep pulled to a stop in the space designated for Logan and the engine cut off a moment later. Ororo came down the steps carefully, a smile curving her mouth as the Jeep’s door popped open.

“Well, there’s a sight for some damn sore eyes,” came the growling voice from the other side of the Jeep.

“Hello, handsome,” she chuckled. Logan came around the side of the Jeep, duffel in hand and a cigar pinched between his teeth.

He had a winning smile on his whiskered face. When she held her arms out for him, he dropped the duffel and pulled the cigar away with one hand. Ororo melted into his embrace, burying her face in the crook of his shoulder to inhale the masculine scent of smoke and sweat. He kissed her hair, holding her close with one arm while the other held the cigar away to protect their baby from the smoke.

“I missed you,” she said honestly. “Don’t go away again.”

“Missed you too,” he said, surprising her as he tightened his embrace. “Wouldn’t have if Hank hadn’t needed me.”

“I know,” she answered as she pulled back. She kissed him quickly, wrapping both arms around his neck.

Logan smiled against her lips, his arm bringing her closer. “You smell good.”

“I smell like cooking oil and green beans,” she rolled her eyes, stepping out of his embrace to grab his duffel.

He chuckled softly. “You smell like you. And mini-you.”

Ororo rolled her eyes, settling the light duffel over her shoulder. Logan seemed ready to take it from her, but a sharp look ensured he merely stuck his cigar back between his lips and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

They entered the quiet mansion together, Ororo allowing him to greet Marie and Bobby as she headed for the stairs. Though she’d been determined to wait until Logan’s return, she was exhausted from her long day. He’d wanted an earlier flight, which had been canceled. In lieu of waiting until morning, he had opted for a late flight. Ororo was more than thrilled to have him home, but her overexerted body was screaming for rest.

She stowed Logan’s duffel on their bed “ which was freshly made “ and patiently waited for him to join her. He’d already eaten, or so he had said on the phone. It was a good thing, as Ororo’s weary body was ready to simply give out on her.

It surprised the weather-manipulating mutant how much she had come to depend on Logan’s presence in the last months. With him suddenly gone for a week, everything piled up around her. She could blame some of her exhaustion on the fact that she was pregnant, but that seemed too easy a cop out. Women had careers and babies every day; she could handle it.

That, however, didn’t make the long, lonely nights any easier to bear. She’d missed her human teddy bear snuggling up against her in the darkness more than anything.

Logan came into the room as she began undressing. Smiling to herself, as her back was facing him, Ororo unbuttoned her shirt and stepped toward the bathroom. When she felt Logan’s gaze on her, she easily shrugged the garment from her shoulders, showing off her bare belly proudly. Humming softly to herself, she almost missed the sharp intake of breath from the other side of the room.

“Hey,” her lover whispered as he crossed the room in two strides.

“Why, Logan,” she teased. “Whatever is the matter?”

But the look on his face was too adoring for her to keep the teasing manner. He dropped to his knees, his hands gently on her hips so he could turn her to the side. Logan almost reverently reached for her belly, tracing the slight curve of it.

“Wow,” he breathed. “Look at that.”

“It’s hardly anything,” she said as he leaned closer to kiss her bare stomach. “Just a little bump.”

“It’s beautiful,” Logan whispered, his dark eyes finally meeting hers. “I can hear his heartbeat from across the room. Strong.”

Ororo giggled soundlessly. “Isn’t it…just…”

“Don’t even try,” he interrupted. “Ain’t no words for this, darlin’.”

She ran her hand through the wolfish peaks of his hair, not surprised by the level of emotion in Logan’s words, touch, eyes. Both of his masculine hands covered her belly, his face pressed close as he inhaled her scent as though it were his oxygen. As though she were vital to his survival at all times.

“Can you feel him yet?” Logan asked, his voice muffled by her flesh.

“A little,” she admitted. “It feels like bubbles or butterfly wings.”

She felt him frown and gently stroked his cheek. “I missed it.”

Ororo rolled her eyes affectionately. “You wouldn’t be able to feel it yet, Daddy.”

His hands flexed slightly at the use of his new title. Ororo ruffled his hair again, putting her hands over his to squeeze them lightly.

Dark eyes met hers as he stood, his hands leaving her belly to cup her face. Ororo felt her girly side swoon at the reverence and love in his gaze and touch. She wanted to drown in it, forget all the bad swirling around them.

“You look tired, Mama.” His whisper made her heart melt.

“I am,” she confessed, leaning up for a kiss. He obliged her instantly, the caress of his lips soft.

He pulled away slowly, letting her get back to changing for bed. His eyes, however, followed her every movement as he backed up to the bed they shared. Oh, she’d missed him. Her brash and reckless Wolverine; the gentle and adoring Logan.

“Oh,” he said, diving for his duffel as she shimmed out of her pants and donned a long cotton nightgown. “I got you guys somethin’.”

Curious, Ororo came toward the bed, holding her belly as she slid onto the duvet. Logan gave her a mischievous wink. He pulled what looked to be a shirt from his duffel, wrinkled with his haphazard packing.

Ororo unfolded the shirt cautiously, bursting into laughter at the print on white cotton.

“Sexy Mama?”

Logan’s answering grin was ferocious. “Well, it’s true.”

“Very cute,” she chuckled, folding the shirt carefully. “I’ll wear it tomorrow.”

“And something for the baby,” he continued, tossing his duffel to the floor and kicking his boots off.

He slid onto the bed beside her, capturing her lips so that she hummed with pleasure. He forced her to lie down, smiling against her mouth. Ororo chuckled quietly, looking down when he broke contact to lay something over her belly.

It was a soft yellow jumper, complete with “Hello, my name is Trouble” printed on the front in an oversized nametag. Ororo laughed, the action making her swelling middle bounce joyfully. Logan completed his “dressing” with a matching pair of yellow booties, placing them on her belly as well.

There was a playful look on her lover’s face and in that moment, Ororo realized that her heart had taken up residence outside of her body. This was no gut reaction to her impending motherhood or his careful attentions. Somewhere between facing him down in his bedroom so long ago and asking him to father her child, Ororo had fallen for her beloved feral.

She reached for him, drawing him into the safe haven of her arms. He kissed her eagerly, lying atop her so that they squashed the baby’s things between them. She put everything she was feeling into the kiss, knowing on some level that he could feel what she hesitated to say.

Logan drew her into his embrace, cuddling closer in the dim light of their bedroom.

“Get some sleep, Mama.”

“Goodnight, Daddy.”

Her whisper made him pull her a little closer. In the space between breaths, Ororo drifted into a deep, beautiful sleep.

He had come home.

~**~


Morning found Marie in the small office that had once belonged to Doctor Grey, pouring over faxes and emails that demanded responses. Several were from inquisitive parents, looking into the school for their mutant children. Some from investors and lawyers. Still others regarding faculty and day-to-day house business. Damn, the plumber needed to be paid.

Having shed her own identity as a mutant, Marie had often found herself at a loss. For a year now, she’d carefully tried to reconstruct her life without the stigma mutation placed on her. Storm was kind enough to let her stay on with Xavier’s School, giving her a job when her busy schedule demanded it.

Unfortunately, in the wake of Alcatraz and her decision, the relationship with Bobby Drake “ which she’d foolhardily tried to save “ had crumbled. They’d parted ways on good terms, neither of them willing to let go of the fast friendship they had formed over the years.

All in all, the young woman was content. She helped Storm run the business end of the school, gave tours to prospective students and put out little brush fires when needed. With Storm’s pregnancy coming into full bloom, Marie took on more of the elder woman’s workload without asking. She wanted Storm and Wolverine to have time for each other, to enjoy the pregnancy.

As though her thoughts had summoned him, Logan knocked twice upon her office door before entering. She gave her friend a broad smile, beckoning him inside. How different would her life have been had she not walked into that dingy Canadian bar? Where would the unlikely twosome be if she hadn’t jumped into the back of his truck?

“Hey,” he greeted in the curiously quiet tone most used in the early morning. “Busy?”

“Not anymore than usual,” she shrugged. “How’s Storm?”

“Still sleepin’,” he answered somewhat fondly. Marie could still draw on the memories of him she’d stolen their first fateful night with the X-Men to read him like an open book. Storm was the center of his world now, in ways the deceased Doctor Grey could never hope to match.

When Logan allowed himself to open up, to love someone or something, he loved hard and without remorse or apology. She thought it was just the way the man worked; all or nothing. Storm had stepped into the hollow place Jean had left, quickly expanding the space there until she consumed his life. That, Marie thought, was the kind of love most people would only dream about.

“Good,” Marie answered, shoving her thoughts aside. “She’s workin’ too hard.”

“She does that,” Logan agreed. “Want some breakfast?”

Knowing she would enjoy some quiet time with her friend, the Southern girl nodded as she stood. Logan swept his dark gaze over her, the look in his eyes saying he approved of her adult attire, of the choices she had made.

At least…some of them. Marie still felt as though part of her betrayed Logan and the others by taking the cure. She shrugged the feeling off quickly. It was done now, nothing could be changed.

They walked in companionable silence to the kitchen, the two of them falling into a comfortable synch as they bustled about the warm space. Pans were brought out, eggs cracked into bowls, bread slices dropped into the toaster. Marie had spent more mornings with Logan this way than she could count, lost in a sort of domesticity that she knew had been sorely missing from his life.

When preparation was complete, they carried their plates to the table and sat across from one another. Logan went back for the coffee, which Marie knew he never drank in front of the addicted Storm anymore.

“I miss anything important?” He asked, easily breaking the long silence.

Marie chewed thoughtfully for a moment. “Not really. Bobby almost broke his foot on Peter’s head in the Danger Room a couple of days ago. Warren went to Frisco to see his dad.”

There must have been something in her tone, for Logan’s eyebrow arched ever so slightly.

“Warren, huh?”

She felt a blush bloom in her cheeks and ducked her head shyly. Her break up with Bobby had been difficult, but not so much as she had expected. While she was adrift, searching for a place to belong, Warren Worthington had easily slid up beside her. He held her hand through the worst of the regrets, cheered her on in his quiet manner when she felt victorious.

The fact that he was ridiculously handsome and as sweet as his angelic codename would suggest had honestly not become a problem until recently. Still, they shared one another’s secrets, their confidences kept against all odds. He was her champion and companion, perhaps something more in time.

“Could be worse,” Logan grunted, obviously reading the truth in her silence. “Good kid.”

“The best,” Marie answered quietly, her heart aching slightly. She missed her blonde angel.

“You’ve got it bad, kid,” her friend teased lightly around a mouthful of egg.

“You’re one to speak,” she countered, jabbing her fork in his direction. “You’re the one makin’ babies and all.”

Logan’s smile was immediate and very telling. Not the sardonic or primitive smirk most associated with the feral, but a soft, tender curve of his lips that spoke volumes. Marie’s heart skipped a beat, wondering what it must feel like for a man that believed pain was reality to experience something so pleasurable as love.

“Can’t complain,” he grunted.

“You’d better not,” she grinned. “Storm’s gorgeous, smart, sweet, and all round with your baby. Not to mention, she’s crazy about you.”

For a moment, Marie could see indecision and fear in her friend’s eyes.

“You think? That she’s nuts about me, I mean?” He shifted uncomfortably in his chair, a giveaway that he was nervous but open to discussion.

“Logan,” Marie said gently. “Every time you walk into a room, her face lights up. When you’re gone, she tries to hide how lonely she is. You don’t see her like I do. She’s totally crazy for you.”

He smiled slightly, looking down at his plate. “I love her, Marie.”

“I know,” she nodded. “And if you fuck this up, I’ll kill you.”

Logan barked out a sharp laugh. “Fair enough.”

They lapsed back into silence for a moment. She watched as Logan seemed to mull over her words, twisting and turning them in his mind until he came out with a conclusion. He seemed to accept her insights, for he went back to his breakfast with that tender look on his face again. Marie sighed inwardly, hoping that Storm and Logan wouldn’t let anything wedge between them. She knew, better than anyone, what unspoken insecurities could do to a relationship.

When the phone rang, Marie allowed Logan to pick up the cordless receiver. He faithfully repeated the greeting Storm insisted they use while she picked up the morning paper.

“Hey, Angelcake,” Logan glanced at Marie, amusement dancing in his dark eyes.

Marie gulped, unable to help the way she perked up and tossed the paper aside. Logan stuck his tongue out at her, holding the phone out of her reach. It was perhaps the most childish and amusing thing she’d ever seen him do. Storm was a good influence on him.

“How ya doin’, kid?” He paused. “Good. Yeah, Hank’s fine. I’ll tell her. Yeah, it’s really good to be home.”

Snarling, Marie made a grab for the phone, easily dissuaded when Logan flattened his palm against her forehead, holding her at arm’s length. His much longer arms prevented her from reaching the phone and she grumbled in defeat.

He continued to chat with Warren for several seconds, seemingly oblivious to Marie’s desperation.

“Well, seein’ as there’s a pretty girl with a white stripe in her hair trying to maim me for the phone, maybe I should let you talk to your girl.” Logan winked at Marie’s shocked gasp. “Really? Huh? Coulda fooled me.”

Marie pinched his arm, tearing the hairs from it. Logan winced, grinding his teeth together. “Here she is, Angel. Yeah. See ya in a few days.”

She kicked his shin lightly as Logan laughed silently into his hand, obviously amused by the entire situation. Bastard. He yelped a little, handing her the telephone.

“Warren?”

“He’s a nosy bastard, isn’t he?” Angel’s amused voice crackled through the line. “Good morning.”

“Mornin’,” she answered, her heart beating so fast at his velvety voice that she found herself breathless. “Yeah, he’s an ass.”

Warren’s laughter was warm. Marie wanted to drown in it, a smile curving her mouth instantly. She covered the mouthpiece as she moved away from the table, silently telling Logan she was going to her office.

He waved his fork at her, going back to his breakfast with a smile on his face.

~**~

Ororo woke to find the bed cold beside her and the sound of children wafting up from the floors below. She glanced to the clock, groaning when she noted it was far past her usual wake up time. Logan’s presence could be like a drug, lulling her into the deepest of sleeps.

She had to admit, as she stretched in the early morning light, that she felt refreshed. Better than she had in days, actually. Snuggling back under the covers, Ororo sighed happily, running a hand over her swelling belly.

“Did you sleep as well as I did?” She asked the silent bump.

Taking her time, she got out of bed and showered. Pulling on her new maternity jeans “ complete with an elastic waistband that fit under her belly “ and the tee shirt Logan had brought her from Washington, she threw her hair into a ponytail. Slipping on comfortable Keds, she decided she was dressed and headed downstairs.

As it happened to be a Saturday, the students were scattered throughout the grounds, content with one another’s company. Ororo got several whistles and good-natured jeers for her shirt, which only made her stick her tummy out proudly.

“Truer words,” Piotr said with a hand over his heart as she entered the kitchen. Ororo laughed lightly.

“Why, thank you, Piotr,” she pat his shoulder lightly.

He reached with one massive hand to rub her swelling middle. “Ahh, good luck rubs from the resident Buddha.”

“Funny,” Ororo rolled her eyes.

“I wanna rub it!” Kitty Pryde squealed, coming around the bar. “Aww, isn’t it cute?”

The brunette girl put her face by Ororo’s stomach. “Hi, baby! It’s your favorite Aunt Kitty! I’m gonna spoil you rotten, yes I am.”

Ororo pushed the girl away gently, her cheeks hurting from the wide smile on her face. This, she thought, was what family was made of. She allowed Marie and Jimmy to touch her stomach as well, though the boy was slightly shy about it.

Taking the plate of French Toast and sausage links Piotr handed her, she took a seat by the kitchen window with Jimmy. The boy was reading something that looked like his History homework while munching on Piotr’s world-class breakfast.

“Logan’s out in the garage,” Marie offered. “Warren’s comin’ in tomorrow, if you don’t mind me pickin’ him up?”

Ororo shook her head. “You can take my car.”

The elder woman knew something brewed between Angel and the former Rogue. She thought their codenames with an ironic twist to her lips. They were well suited and devoted. An interesting pair, to say the least.

She wondered what people said about herself and Wolverine.

Ororo nearly inhaled her breakfast, thankful for her “honeymoon” second trimester, at last. She rarely felt nauseated or unwell, her body seeming to get back on track as the weeks ticked by. Her fatigue was easy to accept as a part of the pregnancy, the need for sleep obviously overshadowing everything else.

After setting her dishes into the sink and helping Jimmy with part of his homework, Ororo headed through the mansion for a quick inspection. Ensuring that no one was injured, crying, or getting into things they shouldn’t, she finished her rounds with satisfaction.

Once done, she headed for the garage, hearing Logan’s loud music blasting from the speakers. Ororo shook her head, pushing into the garage and calling out for her lover.

“Over here, darlin’,” he called from beneath the Mazda. “Brake pads are bein’ assholes.”

Chuckling at his language, Ororo carefully dodged oil slicks and spare parts as she moved toward him. She cupped her belly with one hand, as though using it for balance. Logan rolled out from under the car as she came closer.

The man was the embodiment of sex. Ororo felt her heart rate leap to frantic as he grinned up at her. Covered in grease, hands dirty and tank top smeared, Ororo wanted to jump on the man. He arched a brow at her, nostrils twitching.

“Darlin’?” That sensual growl was her undoing.

Ororo gracefully “ even given her extra weight “ lowered her body into a low crouch. Her lips caught his quickly, fusing their mouths together as desire pumped through her veins. By the Goddess, he set her on fire in the best way. She wanted to possess him, dominate him, claim him in ways she had never imagined.

Logan growled her name, his hands finding their way to her hips. Mouths parted and tongues immediately dueled, as though fighting one another for dominance. His hands tightened on her as she slid onto his lap, her body thrumming with want.

He lifted her effortlessly, resting her bottom on the hood of a nearby sports car. Paying no mind to his grease-covered hands, Ororo groaned when he rocked his hips into hers. Her legs parted instinctively, trying to get him closer.

Her lover needed no further invitation. He tore at the button of her jeans as she feathered soft kisses on his neck. He tilted his head to give her better access, as her jeans were yanked past her hips. She used his shoulders for leverage, helping him pull the denim down her legs.

Squirming with the ache building inside of her, Ororo let her hands fall to his belt, unbuckling it as though she were on fire. She slid her hands beneath the worn material, grasping his bare bottom so that he hissed.

“You’re drivin’ me crazy, ‘Ro,” he grunted as the denim slid down.

“That was the idea,” she taunted.

Logan urged her onto her back, her shirt riding up as his hands crept beneath the thin cotton. Ororo groaned when he leaned in to capture an already taut nipple through the fabric of her bra, his tongue wetting the satin as he stroked.

Splayed over the hood of the car like some wanton teenager, Ororo lifted her legs, offering herself to Logan. He took the invitation, his hips twitching as he buried himself inside. They groaned in unison, the sound lost in the vibrations of the music. Logan panted her name against her breast, his thrusts immediate and lusty.

“You’re so damn tight,” he groaned. “Wet…Jesus.”

“Logan,” Ororo whimpered, her pregnancy-sensitive body clinging to him. She felt her inner muscles contract, pulling him deeper. “Harder.”

He reared up, grasping her hips to hold her in place while he pounded into her. Ororo thrashed against the cool steel of the car, winding her legs around his hips. Logan gave her a feral smile, changing his angle slightly so that he stroked every secret place inside of her to perfection.

With him this buried inside of her, Ororo felt whole. She reached up to wrap a hand about his nape, fusing their lips together in a kiss that was at once loving and ferocious. He growled low in his throat, his cock sliding in and out in a mad race to pleasure.

Ororo let herself go, feeling her eyes swirl to brilliant white as the room’s temperature jumped several degrees in the space of a heartbeat. Logan’s body was hard and demanding, taking from hers as much as she took from his.

Ripples that started in her belly shook her entire body as she cried out his name into the echoing garage. Logan swore violently, his body going rigid over hers as they joined one another in that little piece of heaven brought on by aching bodies.

Logan crushed her to his chest, kissing her thoroughly as though he would never have enough. Ororo melted into his embrace, finding not an ounce of shame having just been taken on the hood of one of Xavier’s multi-million dollar cars.

“Holy shit,” Logan swore, nipping at her lips. “You’re just full of surprises.”

“I blame the baby,” she whispered in response, licking his bottom lip. “He or she is making me…insatiable.”

“Yeah?” He chuckled, nuzzling her nose. “Should I thank him?”

“While you’re at it, thank him for the boobs, as well.”

“Oh, I have,” he smirked. “Trust me.”

“Mmm,” she hummed, wrapping her arms about his neck. “Would it be terrible of us to leave Marie in charge so we could spend the entire day in bed?”

“Um. Hell no.” Logan’s eager response made Ororo laugh. “Race ya upstairs.”

Ororo pulled her jeans on, fixing her shirt as she leapt from the hood of the car. She whacked Logan with a soft gust of wind, racing into the house and vanishing up the stairs. His hearty laughter chased her, even as she squealed at his perusal.

She let him catch her, however, the moment they were in their bedroom.


~**~

Bolivar Trask turned away from the security monitors with a sigh. Glancing at the rejected arrest portfolio bearing the United Nations emblem, he felt his faith begin to slip.

She was such a damn nuisance. All of his hard work was coming unraveled around him because of that mutant bitch and her wildly supportive friends. McCoy and Tilby were still alive, though neutralized for the time being. Now was the time to move on Storm.

But the UN was statically unhelpful. They refused his order for her immediate arrest. Didn’t they realize what a danger she was to the children in her care? She allowed that animal to live with them, to be part of a home he had no place in.

“You worry too much, Bolivar.”

The voice of his long-time friend turned him from the screens. “The timing is so perfect, William.”

“Yes, but I know this Wolverine.” Stryker moved into the light, his scarred face a terrible sight to behold.

Trask looked away quickly so he would not be caught staring.

“That knowledge doesn’t help me.”

“But it will,” the other man said somewhat lazily. “You’ll get your terrorist and I’ll get my Wolverine. We’ll both be happy.”

“How do you hope to contain him?”

“That’s very simple,” said Stryker, a manic gleam in his hollow eyes. “I’ll offer him a deal. His life for that of his family’s.”

Trask turned back to the screens, showing the laughing couple engaged in a very childish pillow fight. A slow smile curved his dark lips. Oh, they had no idea what was coming for them.
Chapter Fourteen: Still by Gaineewop


Chapter Fourteen: Still


I've been hurt by my past
But I feel the future in my dreams
And at last I wake up I'm not sure
I wanted to find a light
Something just didn't feel right
Needed an answer to
End all my searchin'
~Nelly Furtado



A soft, quiet blanket had covered Washington in the night. Pristine and beautiful, snow wrapped the world in white, making even the dreary city seem filled with hope. There were limited cars on the streets, given the fact that it was Sunday. Christmas, however, was right around the corner, and with it came voracious shoppers.

The hour was still too early for children, but not the sun. It beamed brightly into the warm, spacious kitchen of a high-rise apartment. Inside the cheerful space was a man nearing middle years, whistling as he prepared breakfast with the droning of a morning news report wafting from the small television on the counter.

Eggs were cracked into a heated pan with precision many four-star chefs would kill for. Clawed fingers dropped bread into the toaster while the automated juicer twisted an orange for all it happened to be worth.

His movements, despite a hulking size that bordered on massive, were efficient and graceful. In the quiet of morning, Henry McCoy ensured his patient was left to rest while he prepared her meal. It wouldn’t do at all to have her wake just yet. She needed to relax, to heal.

He tried to not dwell on the incident that had her here with him so early on a beautiful, wintry Sunday, but more often than not, he was fighting a losing battle. Hank found himself awake in the middle of the night, watching the steady rise and fall of her chest. He had never left the hospital during her eight-day stay. He could not overcome the fear that she would drift away should he not be by her side to anchor her.

But she was here now, he mused. Less than ten feet away, lying on his bed. When the doctors released her into his care, Trish insisted on staying at his apartment. At least here, none of the reporters from her station could ambush her. She would be free to simply breathe without the added pressure. Henry had asked if she had expected him to complain.

Hank flipped the eggs quickly, turning to butter toast a moment later. Wiping his hands on his “I got smashed in Tijuana” apron “ a gift from Patricia several years ago “ he glanced at the news report while sipping his beloved Turkish coffee.

“And on Capitol Hill yesterday, the Registration Act regarding all mutants…was tossed out yet again. I guess the House of Representatives has other things on their minds. Jody?”

“Another one for our side.” He murmured into the quiet.

Turning away from thoughts of work and mutant rights, Hank finished his careful preparations.

Onto a lovely breakfast tray “ a gift from Ororo last year “ he set plates, glasses, and several morning papers. Eggs were easily placed on two plates, thick slabs of buttered toast on the other two. Orange slices were arranged atop the over-easy eggs, a peculiar quirk of Trish’s.

Once everything was arranged properly and the dishes piled into the sink for later, Hank tossed his apron aside, threw a pair of napkins over his forearm and lifted the tray.

He eased through his antique-filled apartment, his feet soundless on the thick carpeting. The bedroom door was open, an eastern-facing window allowing the bright sunrise to bathe the room in a divine glow.

In the doorway, Hank pulled up short. Breath hitched in his chest at the innocently seductive sight. Trish lay tangled in his sheets, her long hair spilling over the ivory pillowcases in dark waves. Her sleep-plumped lips parted as she breathed. One hand lay on her cotton covered belly, the other on the pillow beside her beautiful face. Light danced over her slumbering form, making pale, pale skin nearly glow. She, quite plainly, took Henry’s breath away.

She was everything to fight for, he thought with an ache in his heart. Why had it taken him so damned long to reach for her? Hank shrugged the thoughts aside, staring at the woman who had so easily captured his heart. Her noble brow furrowed slightly as sleep began to release its hold on her.

Nostrils twitched.

Hank shook his head with a silent chuckle. The woman could smell coffee five miles away in a blizzard. He tiptoed into the room, setting the tray on the nightstand before touching her rounded cheek lovingly.

Trish smiled dreamily, slate colored eyes creaking open sleepily. Hank allowed his hand to travel from her cheek to her hair, winding his fingers in the silken strands.

“Mmm,” she hummed happily. “It’s my Hank.”

He tried to keep his heart from skipping at the now-familiar endearment. It didn’t work.

“Good morning,” he whispered, leaning in to capture her lips quickly. “Are you hungry?”

One pale shoulder shrugged as she closed one eye to regard him, a silly look on her lovely face. “Only if there’s coffee.”

“Well, of course there is coffee, my love,” Hank teased. “But you must pay for it. Expenses, you understand.”

Trish scowled playfully. “Oh? What kind of payment do you require?”

Hank scratched his chin with mock thoughtfulness. Raising a blue brow, he snapped his fingers with a silent “Ah-ha!”

“I require…” he leaned closer until he spoke against her lips. “A kiss.”

“Ah hell,” Trish waved him off, moving back quickly. “Don’t need the coffee that bad.”

“Minx!” Hank chuckled merrily, letting the sound reverberate through his otherwise silent apartment.

Trish crooked her finger at him, tugging on his collar to bring him close as soon as he moved. Hank grinned when she captured his lips hungrily, tugging him down until he nearly flattened her much-smaller body to the bed.

She smacked her lips when she finally released him. “Mmm. Better than coffee.”

Hank chuckled again, righting himself. He helped her sit up, cradling her injured body carefully as he settled her against the headboard. Trish winced, but gave no other indication as to pain or discomfort. Hank handed her two pills anyway.

She downed the medication without complaint, asking that he turn the television on as he settled the breakfast tray across her lap.

“Orangey-Eggs? My God, Hank, you’re a saint.”

He beamed at her praise, warmth flooding his chest. She settled herself calmly, her movements still slow, measured against the pain. Hank fetched her daily pain medications and fresh bandages.

Setting everything aside, he sat beside her, joining her for the lazy Sunday breakfast. Hank watched her carefully, trying to gauge her pain management as best he could without asking about it. Trish flipped through newspapers, long fingers smudging with ink as she daintily ate his carefully prepared meal.

The telephone’s shrill ring broke the easy silence. Hank grasped the receiver easily, cheerfully answering as he placed the receiver to his ear.

“Doctor McCoy.”

At the strange sound of a vocal distorter sent a chill down Henry’s spine. He sat up more fully, the sudden action alerting his companion that something was amiss.

“Yes?”

“Your enemies are set to move on Xavier’s heir,” the indistinct voice replied. “The trap has been set. Prepare yourself. Warn her.”

“Who is moving against her?” Hank demanded, fear creeping into the warmth in his chest. “Who are you?”

“You know one enemy, but not the other. He is familiar to the one they call Wolverine. Be cautious. The lives of anyone allied with the X-Men are at stake.”

Hank motioned to Trish for the pen and paper on her nightstand. She reached for them as quickly as her injured body allowed. He thanked her with a smile, jotting down quick notes in an untidy scrawl.

“Which enemy hides?” He asked softly.

“Tell the Wolverine his old foe isn’t as dead as he would like. Protect the Mother.”

The dial tone seemed impossibly loud as the hidden caller disconnected the call. Hank tossed his pad down, hanging up before quickly dialing for the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s tracing team.

“This is Ambassador Henry P. McCoy. I need an immediate trace on my home line.”

“Right away, sir,” a young female voice answered, obviously catching his worry and haste.

Trish put her hand on his arm, but Hank could not yet face her again. His mind was a whirl of unanswered questions and bone-chilling fear. Who was moving against them so swiftly and with such malice? What trap had been set for dear Ororo?

How could they counter it?

“Ambassador?” The F.B.I. agent called sharply.

“Yes, go ahead.” Hank replied, swallowing thickly.

“It was a payphone in New York City. I can’t give you much more than that. I’m sorry.”

“It’s quite all right,” Hank answered. He had not expected much more, but one could never be overcautious. “Thank you.”

Once he cradled the receiver, he noted that Trish had yanked the pad from the bedspread, her light eyes darting over the information scratched there. She was frowning, the line between her brows betraying worry as well as confusion.

“Dead enemy of Wolverine. Protect the Mother? Trap? Hank!” Trish looked up, her breathing accelerating. “What the hell?”

“I do not know,” Hank answered honestly, reaching for the telephone again. “But I must warn Ororo. I fear things have moved ahead more quickly than any of us anticipated.”

Without waiting for her reply, Hank dialed for the mansion.

~**~

Christmas shopping was in full swing at Westchester’s busy shopping center. As per yearly ritual, Ororo had insisted on taking the children shopping. Logan, one hand entwined with hers, watched as the pack of teenagers scattered the instant they entered the mall.

He shook his head as Kitty tugged Pete off into a shop, the young man looking over his shoulder at Logan for help. All Wolverine could do was shrug. Ororo was already leading him toward the baby shop.

Just thinking the word ‘baby’ made him look down at the now-visible swell of Ororo’s stomach. She was only seventeen weeks along, but her thin body was already showing signs of the life growing inside of her.

Safely in the second trimester now, she seemed to glow with an ancient serenity. Her morning sickness had abated “ thank God “ and energy levels were at an all time high. Logan found himself astonished by how much that woman could accomplish before succumbing to the baby’s demands for rest.

Ororo tugged on his hand as they entered the shop filled with baby things. For the first time since they’d met, he heard the woman he loved squeal like a teenager.

“Logan! Look!” She gushed over a tiny leather jacket. “Isn’t this adorable?”

He had to admit, the tiny jacket was cute, but before he could reply, Ororo had vanished down another clothing rack. Shaking his head with a fond smile, he followed her. Ororo was busy looking over every single article of baby clothing she laid eyes on, one hand dropping to her expanding waistline.

Tilting his head to study her, Logan let that warm, almost giddy feeling wash over him. He only allowed this when no one was looking, aware of the goofy, stupid grin that would curve his lips. It wasn’t right for the fearsome Wolverine to look so dim-witted. How could he control it, though?

That beautiful woman was walking around with his child inside of her. And she liked her condition. Logan still couldn’t wrap his brain around that one.

Though danger pressed in at them from multiple corners, he couldn’t get over this miracle he was witness to. Sure, people had babies every day. Stockbrokers and teachers; normal people had kids. Wolverine…well, it was somewhat shocking. He was going to be a father and every time someone called him “Dad” he turned to mush inside.

Not that anyone knew that.

Following his whirlwind lover through the isles as she piled her arms with all manner of baby things, Logan smiled again. She was damn cute when she got excited over something. Every time she felt the baby move, or touched her swelling abdomen, she grinned like a sixteen-year-old on her first date. He found himself in love with that look.

She was chattering at him incessantly, not that he knew what the hell she was saying. He was content with watching her, memorizing her movements. Though her shifted center of gravity made her a little ungainly, she managed to look graceful. Logan thought it was her gift, being this breathtaking goddess amid so many mortals.

Damn, he was turning into a sap.

“Logan?” Ororo asked as she rushed up to him. “We need baby furniture. Shall we look at some while we’re here?”

“Anythin’ you want, darlin’,” he answered, letting her grasp his hand.

“Do you think our room is big enough for the baby’s things?” She asked, dragging him toward the furniture show area.

He couldn’t get past the “our room” for a moment, so he was silent before responding.

“Yeah, should be. What do babies need?”

Storm rattled off a list as they approached a dark cherry crib complete with bumper pad and Noah’s Ark mobile.

“Crib, changing table, diaper bin, dresser…”

“Christ, I’m glad we make good money.”

She gave him a good-natured glare, tossing her collected baby things into a shopping bag she snatched from a nearby rack.

“I don’t like this one,” he deflected with a smirk. Turning around, he spotted another crib of light pine. Tugging on Ororo’s hand, he pulled her over, pointing to it.

“I like this one,” she murmured, looking at the matching dresser. “Ooh, it has a rocking chair as well.”

“Rockin’ chair?” Logan had the brief image of her sitting in that elegantly carved chair, holding their baby in her arms while singing a soft lullaby. His heart clenched so hard he almost grunted.

“Mmm, yes. Useful for nursing.”

“Nursing?”

“Breastfeeding.”

That was a mental image that threatened to kill him. Logan grabbed at her hand again, whipping her around and covering her mouth with his. She grinned against his lips, sighing softly as he cupped her cheeks.

“Get the damn rocking chair,” he whispered, nipping at her bottom lip.

“Sir, yes, sir,” she replied, nuzzling his nose with hers. She giggled a moment later, putting her hand on her belly. “I think baby agrees.”

“That’s it then,” Logan said softly, putting his hand above hers on the gentle swell of her tummy. “We get this one.”

They broke apart to further inspect their selection. Logan decided he could assemble everything. It wouldn’t be that hard. Hell, he’d repaired enough of the mansion to put something as simple as a baby’s bed together.

“Oh, we should look at bassinettes as well.”

“A basin-what?” Logan questioned, turning from his inspection of the soft yellow sheets on the crib.

“Come with me,” Ororo said after taking the purchase slip for the baby’s furniture set.

She led him to another area of the show room, peeking at several white cradles. Logan didn’t see why the baby needed two beds, but when he voiced this Ororo glared at him. Ok, so the baby needed two beds. He wasn’t arguing with a hormonal woman that could literally shove a lightning bolt up his ass.

By the time the couple made it to the check out counter, they had slips for the furniture set, a baby swing, a bassinette, a stroller, and two shopping bags filled with stuff Logan couldn’t even name.

He refused to even look at the price, handing the clerk his credit card with his eyes closed. Ororo laughed, swatting him fondly on the shoulder. Logan didn’t mind spending money on their baby, but damn, he loved to make her laugh.

Leaving the shop several hundred dollars poorer, the couple did a quick headcount of their charges before heading to the maternity shop. Logan did not bother to complain as Ororo ran up another astronomical bill for what he called “bump-covers”. He even got another carefree laugh for his odd terminology.

Arms laden with shopping bags, Logan and Ororo headed to the food court, which is where the entire motley crew was to meet. He spied Piotr and Kitty coming to stop for lunch, the young man so packed with shopping bags and boxes, he could barely see over them. Ororo covered her mouth to laugh.

“That poor boy.” She shook her head affectionately. “She saves up all year for this.”

“Yeah,” Logan grunted. “Does she have to wait until three days before Christmas to do her shopping?”

“It is the same song every year,” Ororo replied, sitting back in her chair to scratch at her stomach.

Logan watched her, letting his gaze soften as he reached over to splay his hand over the distended flesh. His lover quieted, smiling at him in that soft, maternal way she had somehow learned in the last several weeks.

“You worry?” He asked with sudden vulnerability. “If we’ll be good parents?”

“No,” she shook her head. “So long as we are together, I have very little to worry about.”

He frowned, rubbing his thumb over her belly.

“You will be a great father, Logan,” Ororo said quietly. “You are protective, loving, and paternal by nature. Stop worrying.”

Unable to tamp down the pride from her words, he winked up at her. She could set him at ease so damned easily. What was it about this woman that turned him inside out?

“You’ll be a great mom,” he offered. “You’ve done raised half that school.”

She grinned. “Ah, yes. What was it Charles used to call me? Ah. The Eternal Mother.”

“You mothered that poor guy, didn’t ya?” Logan teased.

Ororo laughed, the sound reminding him of a warm summer breeze. “Oh, he would get so angry! I would nag at that man about vitamins until I thought his eyes would cross.”

They shared a quiet moment to remember their departed friend before Marie bounced up with Warren hot on her heels. He, too, was packed down with shopping bags of every shape and size. Logan started to feel badly for his young companions.

“Oh! Did you buy baby things?!” Marie squealed, diving for the shopping bags without invitation.

“Bought the store out,” Logan replied as he helped unload Marie’s packhorse.

“So did we,” Warren quipped, the sway of his coat telling Logan he was adjusting his covered wings.

“Shut up,” both women said in eerie unison as Ororo’s shopping bags were displayed eagerly.

Logan and Warren immediately stopped talking.

~**~


They had gathered up their charges as dinnertime approached, leading them all into the school’s vans waiting in the parking lot. Logan feared they would never get everything home, seeing as every female on the trip had apparently tried to complete on credit card bills.

Just as they finished loading the vans, children strapped in, Logan opened Ororo’s door to help her inside, not wanting her to trip. Pete piloted the other vehicle, already warming the engine as the elder couple was getting settled.

Logan scented someone coming and turned in time to spot a small group of people moving toward them. His eyes narrowed when he smelled gunpowder and anger.

This wouldn’t end well.

“We don’t want your kind here!” The ringleader said loudly.

Logan didn’t have to look to know that every mutant had just tensed, watching the display carefully. Ororo halted, her hand on the car door as she whirled to face the crowd.

They couldn’t risk a fight. Not with so many of the younger students nearby. Logan didn’t even want to contemplate what could happen to their unborn child. The consequences were too heartbreaking to entertain.

“We don’t want trouble,” Ororo said evenly. How she kept her voice calm and cool while facing some bastard in a ‘No more mutants’ tee, Logan would never know. He shifted his body so that he was nearly covering her, claws itching to be unleashed from clenched fists.

“We don’t want you muties coming around here,” the pencil-necked bastard replied.

“No harm has come to the stores, perhaps my wallet, but that isn’t anyone else’s concern,” Ororo shot off quickly.

‘Quiet,” Logan hissed to her before addressing the assembled anti-mutant rabble. “Look, we’re on our way out. Nothin’ needs to happen here.”

He left his meaning hanging on open air. Ororo grasped his arm, as though trying to calm him, but he could feel the slight tremor in her touch. The scent of her fear sent the raging beast inside of him screaming to the surface. He would protect his family at all costs.

“We know who you are,” one man said from the back of the group. “Those bastards from Alcatraz.”

Logan felt a snarl lodge itself in his throat.

Before anyone could move, a gunshot rang through the air. Logan immediately covered Ororo’s body with his, screaming for Colossus to get the van out of the parking lot. The tires squealed as the young X-Men rushed to obey the shouted command, filling the air with the bitter stench of burnt rubber.

The children trapped inside the other van hit the deck, even as Logan surmised that the gunshot had been aimed at the air.

He shoved his body away from Ororo, tasting ozone on the air as she called on her mutation. Wolverine faced their enemies, the sharp swipe of metal on metal ringing through the air as he called on his own “gifts”.

Several of their attackers gasped, stepping back in shock. Though whether it was due to Logan’s lethal blades or the goddess that took to the air behind him, he would never know.

Ororo soared above the parking lot, cloaking the van in thick, heavy fog while she dropped the already frigid temperatures to below freezing.

“We have no wish to harm you!” She shouted above the winds she controlled. “But I will protect my own!”

Wolverine punctuated her words with a not-so-subtle growl, stepping closer. Storm stopped his movements when the gun-toting psycho raised his gun again. Several sizzling lightning bolts peppered the ground between Logan and their enemies, making both jump back to avoid being burned.

She continued her lightning dance as Logan retracted, jumping into the van. His lover landed gracefully in the dense fog, hopping into the passenger seat beside him. Logan popped the van into gear, squealing the tires as Pete had in a desperate attempt to get away without killing anyone.

Once they hit the freeway, Storm turned to check on the children, ensuring no one had been injured in the clash. Logan’s hands gripped the wheel with white knuckles. The bastards had guns. They could have injured or killed one of the kids, not to mention Ororo.

As though she sensed his distress, the snow-capped mutant touched his arm. He glanced at her, noting the shaky smile and barely disguised fear in her eyes. She’d been afraid, but like him, her protective nature often overruled fear.

Neither of them stopped trembling until the gates of Xavier’s School closed behind them.

~**~

Artie bounded up as the much less cheerful group piled out of the van. Ororo was taking several deep breaths and her death grip on her belly made Logan wonder about the baby having brain damage.

“You got a message from Doctor McCoy,” the amphibian-tongued boy said breathlessly. “Everyone ok?”

“Yes, we’re fine, dear,” Ororo answered, taking the slip of paper from him.

Logan helped Warren with Marie’s things as Artie rushed to locate Bobby. Piotr came in from the house, his face clouded with anger. One thing that kid couldn’t handle was someone attacking mutants for no damn reason. Logan gave him a nod, thrusting several of Ororo’s shopping bags at him while mouthing “Danger Room”.

Piotr nodded. They could both use some beating the hell out of each other after that.

“Logan.”

The soft call of his name made him poke his head around the side of the van.

“What’s up?”

“It’s Hank.”

“Somethin’ happen to Trish?” He questioned, crossing to her quickly.

“No,” Ororo swallowed audibly. “But he told Artie that it was urgent we return the call. Something about our enemies moving on us.”

Dread, cold and consuming, crept into Logan’s heart. If Hank was worried, something was seriously up. He slung his arm over Ororo’s shoulders, his hand flattening over the back of her head to pull her to him. She willingly slipped into his embrace, her head against his shoulder.

“It’ll be ok,” he whispered. “Don’t worry.”

“I’m scared,” she said in that small voice, reminding him of the phone call from the hospital when Patricia was injured.

“Shh,” he shushed her. “I won’t let anything happen to my family, baby. I’m here.”

They held each other, even as dusk washed over the grounds. Something told him he might not be able to keep that promise, no matter how hard he tried. The very thought chilled Logan to the bone.
Chapter Fifteen: Seized by Gaineewop


Chapter Fifteen: Seized

It's not so easy loving me
It gets so complicated
All the things you gotta be
Everything's changing
But you're the truth
I'm amazed by all your patience
Everything I put you through
When I'm about to fall
Somehow you're always waiting with
Your open arms to catch me
You're gonna save me from myself
~Christina Aguilera



Ororo had greeted the delivery company with a warm smile. It was so exciting, she mused as they brought in box after box of the infant furniture she and Logan had purchased. All her life motherhood had seemed a distant wish, put off for a ‘someday’ she wasn’t sure would ever arrive.

During her relationship with Henry, she had more firmly grasped the concept. But they had been too young, too naïve, with the odds stacked against them. When the loving relationship fell apart, Ororo truly believed she was doomed to remain alone, apart from everyone else as they inevitably paired off. Children were a distant yearning, one kept at bay for as long as possible.

Logan’s entry into her private life and wounded heart made those yearnings an all out demand. She wanted a child. What’s more, she ached to carry his child. Their first loss had devastated the pair, but it had opened the door for them to admit their connection went beyond the physical.

She sent up a silent prayer to that lost child, tilting her head at his or her father. They had spent the better part of this lazy Monday in their rooms, enjoying the lull before Christmas. Logan was currently on his back, toolbox open beside him as he attempted to tighten the bolts for the baby’s crib.

How hard can it be? He’d said. Ororo chuckled silently, shaking her head at him.

Who would have thought that the fearsome Wolverine could be so undone by something so simple as baby furniture? He had spent all morning rearranging their bedroom to make room for the baby’s things, going so far as to clear out part of the closet so she could hang clothing when the time came.

Oh, but she loved this man. Reckless, brash, stupid idiot, she mused fondly. He went all to pieces when she presented him with tiny baby clothes she’d purchased the previous day. There was so much tenderness in this man, something she had never expected. It was as though he ached for someone to reach for him without pain or agenda. Ororo was more than happy to oblige, wanting to wrap him in a safe cocoon where nothing would harm him ever again.

“Goddamnit!” Logan swore violently as the metallic crib spring landed on his head with a muted thud.

Ororo clapped both hands over her mouth to hold back peals of laughter.

“This goddamn thing is fuckin’ ridiculous!” He pushed the spring up testily, coming out from under the bed.

“Do you need assistance, my darling?” She asked, unable to control the soft giggle that escaped as she spoke.

“Think this is funny, huh?” He glared at her, the look softened by his twitching lips.

“Oh, yes,” she replied primly from her perch on the bed. She curled one leg in front of her, resting her expanding belly on the bent limb. “Big, bad ass Wolverine losing to a baby’s bed.”

“You’re just full of it today.” Logan ran a hand through his hair, grabbing the beer he’d placed beside the crib.

She went back to folding their laundry, carefully separating his things from hers in neat piles on the duvet. It was a thing of intimacy, she thought while folding a pair of Logan’s boxers. To simply sit in a bedroom and fold laundry while preparing for their highly anticipated arrival was just short of bliss.

Ororo wondered how difficult it would be to convince him they needed a few more little ones of their own.

Watching her lover down half the contents of his beer can, she snapped a battered t-shirt in mid-air before expertly folding it and placing it on Logan’s pile. The baby shifted inside of her, an oddly comforting reminder that there were three people in the room.

“I’m gonna do this and I’m gonna do it alone,” he said in a low growl. “You make the baby, I’ll do the other shit.”

“Are those your orders?” She teased with a grin. “I will get right on that baby making.”

“Shush,” he said before diving back under the crib.

Ororo watched the hem of his tee slide up, admiring the wealth of muscle and flesh it exposed as her lover went back to fighting with the crib bolts. She still desired him, wanted with everything inside of her. Since that night so many months ago, when raging emotion turned into heated passion, she wanted Logan. Every time he left had broken her heart, though she knew he’d been consumed with wanderlust. She wondered where the impulse had gone now. Did he filter it into excitement over I impending fatherhood?

It was with some surprise that Ororo realized how long she’d been in love with this man.

“What do you think of Charles, if we have a boy?” She asked suddenly.

Logan’s ratchet never halted. “It’s ok. Could we call him Charlie?”

Ororo rolled her eyes. “I suppose. I will not have my son referred to as ‘Chuck’, however.”

“Nah,” he said quickly. “That was the Professor’s name.”

She smiled, reaching into the laundry basket again. “Charles Logan Munroe?”

“What? We’re givin’ the kid your last name?”

“Do you have one?” Ororo tossed the question off without a thought. The sound of Logan’s ratchet halting made her wince, inwardly kicking herself in the backside. “Logan, I’m sorry. That was…”

“No,” he said, the grating of his tools continuing. “It’s fine. You’re right. I don’t have a last name.”

“We could give you one,” she offered haltingly. “Charles…ah…he did…”

“What?” Her lover questioned, shifting so he could look at her from under the crib.

Ororo bit her lip before sighing. “Charles left paperwork behind. There were forms to legally change your surname to Xavier or whatever you wanted. He knew you would need certain things, a driver’s license, passport…”

“Huh,” Logan grunted, going back to his work. “I hadn’t thought about all that.”

Ororo frowned. “In sixteen years, you’ve never been pulled over.”

“Nope.”

“Stopped at customs?”

“I set off metal detectors.”

That, she found, was hysterical. Ororo clutched her belly, immediately overwhelmed by memories of Liberty Island. His callous one-clawed insult to Scott still made her laugh. Even that night, she’d barely contained her amusement, only to laugh about it with Jean once the dust had settled.

“What’s so funny?” Logan growled.

Ororo only slipped further into uncontrollable mirth. She had so many memories of Logan’s brief encounters with the X-Men before that fateful Alcatraz altercation. Jean’s distraction at seeing him again had always amused her, knowing that the brash Wolverine could get under any woman’s skin, no matter how committed.

Oh, how he’d driven Scott crazy. She recalled several instances where the cycloptic X-Men leader would rant and rave about him. Dangerous. Untrained. Liability. Oh, dear God in heaven, what would he say about this? Ororo pregnant with Logan’s child, madly, passionately in love with him.

He and Jean were laughing their asses off.

“That baby makin’ you addle-minded?”

Ororo threw a sock at him.

“I’m sorry. It made me think of Liberty Island,” she explained quickly.

Logan groaned. “Man, I wanted to rip Sabertooth in half when he touched you. Couldn’t fuckin’ figure out why.”

Shuddering at the memory of Victor Creed’s whisper that she owed him a scream, Ororo rolled her eyes.

“Because we are soul mates,” she said with a faux simper. “You wanted no one touching your foretold mate.”

“Yeah, yeah, shut up.” Logan chuckled from beneath the crib.

“Well,” Ororo continued primly. “It doesn’t matter anyway. I won you fair and square.”

“Think so, eh?”

“I love you, what else is there to think about.”

It was deliberate. For the last several days she had wondered how to drop this bomb on him. She did not want it belabored and discussed. He had said it first, taken that terrifying step without anything handed back to him. Ororo quickly tossed her heart to him, knowing without a doubt that he would tenderly catch it.

The ratchet had stopped again. Ororo went right on with her laundry.

“Yeah?” His voice was thick, as though he could not control the emotion that leaked into the gruff tone.

“Yes.” She answered somewhat flippantly. “I do love you, Logan.”

“Huh,” he grunted. “Bout damn time.”

This time, she threw a pillow at him.

~**~

It was dinnertime when Logan finished setting up the baby’s things. Ororo had not yet found a linen set she liked, so it was kept bare. Together, they put blankets and clothing into the dresser’s drawers. Ororo fussed with the placement of the changing table for several minutes. Logan dutifully moved each piece of furniture without complaint.

Finally, when everything was settled to the expectant mother’s satisfaction, they headed downstairs to check on the children they had ignored all day. Marie and Piotr were left in charge and when the expecting couple reached the main floor, something that smelled delicious came wafting from the kitchen.

“Food!” Ororo clapped happily, grinning at Logan.

“Get out of the way!” He shouted to Artie and Warren, whom were coming toward the kitchen from a classroom. “Pregnant woman scented food! Save yourselves!”

Ororo glared. Warren and Artie pulled expression of mock terror onto their faces before proceeding to trip over each other into the kitchen. Ororo swatted at Logan’s shoulder, trying to pry him away as he wrapped his arms around her, nibbling on her neck in some bastardized form of apology.

“What’s for dinner?” Logan asked as they entered the general mêlée of the kitchen.

“Beef or vegan chili,” Piotr offered from the stove. “Seasoned corn and fresh cornbread.”

“It smells delicious,” Ororo complimented, peering into one of the enormous pots on the industrial sized stove.

Marie served them both, ushering them toward the table. The underclassmen were always fed first, shuffled out of the kitchen so the elder students and X-Men could grab dinner. Logan helped Ororo settle at the table. She winked at several students staring at her belly.

Ororo dug into her meal as though she had not eaten in a year. It was somewhat terrifying to go from nausea at the very scent of food to being able to eat anything in a five-mile radius. Ororo shrugged off the negligible weight gain as beneficial for her unborn child.

She grinned at Warren and Bobby, whom were staring at her as though she’d spontaneously grown three heads.

“Yes?” She asked them with an arched brow.

Bobby spoke to Warren while staring at Ororo. “Remind me to never have sex again. Pregnant women are scary.”

That got him slapped on the back of the head by both Kitty and Marie, whom happened to be walking behind the boys.

“Be nice!” Marie admonished as Logan snorted with mirth into his bowl. Ororo felt a smile threaten to cover her mouth.

“Look at her!” Bobby defended. “She’s like wrestler trying to hit the next weight class!”

Ororo gave up, chuckling into her napkin. Logan had choked on a bite of his chili, so Ororo thumped him heartily on the back, shaking her head. The teenage girls at the school were, of course, fascinated by their Headmistress’ budding pregnancy. Each and every young man, however, looked at her as though the condition was contagious.

She might have been pregnant and therefore subject to frequent memory loss and dampened perception, but Ororo caught the tense glance Kitty shot Piotr. The heavy look they shared made the hair on the back of Ororo’s neck stand up.

What was that all about?

Creeping dread slipped into her spine, even as the children continued to argue over the merits of “eating for two”. Hank had been frantic on the phone the previous evening. He seemed certain that someone would make their move on her very soon. Logan had taken the “dead enemy” message with grit teeth. He couldn’t recall anyone at the moment, but had promised Hank to be on his guard.

One hand dropped to the swell of her abdomen. She did this often for comfort and in true fear. She wanted to believe Logan’s promise that nothing would happen to his family, but it doubt clouded her mind. Ororo knew he would do anything for them, yet how could he protect her from the government if they threw the book at her?

“Its ok,” Logan whispered, his mouth close to her ear. His hand grasped hers under the table, a warm comfort slipping through her at the contact. It was not enough, however, to completely drive the fear away.

Hormones could be killers. Ororo stood abruptly, tossing her chair backward. “How can you know that? It’s not ok! Someone is coming for me and our baby, Logan!”

Used to her strange outbursts now, Logan regarded her calmly. “Come on, ‘Ro. All this panic will upset the baby.”

“Logan, the baby is only five inches long. All this panic is upsetting the mommy!” She thumped her chest with her palm.

Kitty snorted.

Before she could continue her tirade, Henry appeared in the doorway to the kitchen. At his side, a tired looking Trish stood proudly. Ororo felt her jaw drop as all action in the kitchen completely ceased.

“Hello.”

“TRISH!”

Several shouts of glee rang off the walls. Logan and Hank clapped their hands over sensitive ears, groaning at the echoing glee. Ororo was the first to reach her friend, embracing her warmly. Trish rubbed her belly happily, allowing Warren and Bobby to help her to a nearby chair.

“You look so cute!” Trish cooed over Ororo’s swollen belly. “Like an M&M or something!”

Ororo threw her head back and laughed.

“I hate to break up the happy-happy-joy-joy here,” Trish said seriously. “But we’re here for a reason other than me rubbing the baby.”

Logan was immediately at Ororo’s side as Hank came closer. The younger students fell into silence, crowding around as though they could stave off anything bad all by themselves.

“What is it, Trish?” Ororo asked, squeezing her friend’s hand.

Hank exhaled slowly, meeting her eyes before cutting his gaze to Logan. “Trask has received his greatest wish. The National Guard is at the gates.”

Ororo had eyes for Logan alone, reading the fear and fury swirling in his eyes. She should have allowed him to handle the anti-mutant group yesterday. If she had, perhaps Trask would not have been able to move on her so easily. She opened herself up, gave him an easy target.

“They ain’t takin’ ya.” The sheer pain in Logan’s voice made her heart clench.

She went to him, enveloping her feral love into trembling arms. Drawing strength from his arms, Ororo clung to him, memorizing the feel of his embrace, the scent of his skin.

“It will be all right,” she whispered. “Artie, open the gates.”

Logan’s grip tightened. “No.”

“Yes,” she fought back, matching his tense grip with one of her own. “I cannot run. It is an admission of guilt.”

“I can’t lose ya,” he said quietly. “I just can’t, ‘Ro.”

“Trust Henry and our lawyer brigade,” Ororo countered, pulling away to meet his eyes. She kissed him softly, pouring every emotion she could into the intimate gesture. He kissed back with everything in him, making Ororo’s eyes sting with tears.

“Storm?” Artie said in a broken voice. “They’re at the door.”

Ororo kept her eyes on Logan’s when they parted. His eyes were filled with unshed tears, the absolute devastation in his gaze making her heart ache within her breast. Taking his hand, she placed it over her belly, where their child slept.

“I love you,” she said softly. “We love you.”

He inhaled shakily. “I love you, too.”

They parted slowly even as excited and frightened children rushed into the kitchen. The sight of soldiers no doubt terrified them given the attack long ago. She turned her back on Logan, trying to remain calm while keeping her mutation carefully tucked away.

Shushing the children, she gently handed them off to Kitty and Marie, leaving the kitchen with Hank, Trish, and Logan behind her. At the foyer, she caught sight of the soldiers banging on the mansion’s front door, many of them with M-16 rifles at the ready.

Ororo kept her back straight, her stomach thrust out proudly as she drew her infamous icy calm over her entire body. They would not see her break, nor sense her numbing fear. Logan reached for her hand, squeezing it lightly before pulling away at Henry’s soft urgings.

She hoped her blue friend could keep her love restrained.

Without so much as a pause, Ororo threw the mansion door open, facing the large, camouflage-covered National Guardsman.

“Ororo Munroe?”

~**~

Hank held Logan’s shoulder firmly, feeling the man shake violently under his fingers as Ororo was led to the driveway. She had refused handcuffs, saying she would prefer to not scar her charges any more than was necessary. After eliciting her promise that she would not try anything stupid, they agreed to leave the metal off of her skin.

“Steady.” Hank murmured to Logan as they watched events play out through the open door.

“They can’t do this,” Logan said shakily. “She…”

“I know,” Hank soothed as best he could. “But an altercation could harm the baby and no one wants that. These men are only following orders.”

“And they aren’t being asswads,” Trish offered quietly. “Look, that is even helping her.”

Hank watched as one of the Guardsmen shouldered his rifle, putting one hand on Ororo’s and the other at her back to help her inside. His touch was gentle and none of the soldiers looked too pleased at what was happening.

The leader, a man Hank knew as Colonel Goldstein, had remained at the door, watching as Ororo was read her rights and buckled into the armored car.

“Ambassador,” he called stiffly. “I’m sorry about this.”

“I know you are,” Hank replied, watching with his heart breaking as Logan allowed a tear to slip down his cheek. “But that doesn’t make it right.”

“I know,” Goldstein answered. “When I heard they were making the arrest, I volunteered for the assignment. At least I knew I would give her common courtesy.”

Logan’s gaze never left Ororo’s face, visible through the small car’s bulletproof window.

“Why’s that?” The feral practically snarled.

“I was at Alcatraz, sir.” Goldstein answered. “You pulled me away from a mutant ready to kill me. I have nothing but respect for the X-Men and this school.”

Touched, Hank shook the man’s hand. “Thank you.”

Logan merely nodded. Beast didn’t want to imagine what his friend was feeling now. In one fell swoop, they had taken his beloved ‘Ro as well as the child she carried within her. His family, his life gone in an instant. Rage must have been close to the surface, but the knowledge that a battle could inadvertently harm the baby stilled deadly hands.

“We’re taking her to a holding facility in New York City.” Goldstein continued. “My men will be guarding her, at least for now. I’ll make sure she’s treated properly.”

“Thanks,” Logan said gruffly, emotion evident in his tone.

“She is severely claustrophobic,” Hank cut in. “You cannot place her in a cell without windows.”

“I understand; it was in her file. Don’t worry, we’ve got a place set up for her.” Goldstein assured him.

“You are a prepared man.”

“I try. I’m really am sorry about this.”

“We know,” the broken man beside Hank replied.

The soldier turned away, barking orders as he made his way toward the first Hummer. Logan stood with Hank as the trucks roared to life. Ororo waved slightly, a small smile curving her lips as they rolled down the driveway.

Logan took a step, restrained by Hank’s firm grip.

“’Ro.”

Hank’s heart shattered. This was not right, not by any stretch of the imagination. He looked to Trish, immediately noting the fire in her eyes. She wasn’t going to let this go. The thought frightened him.

“Get the lawyers on the phone,” Logan said to Hank as his shoulders drooped. “We have to get her out of there.”

~**~

Kitty was sitting on her bed, weeping for all she was worth. She had tried to control herself, attempted to stop the mad rush of open mourning, but she couldn’t. Her baiting of Trask had brought this about. It was all her fault that soldiers packing military rifles had come to take their leader away.

She wrapped her arms about her middle, rocking against the edge of the bed with the force of her sobs. How could Storm ever forgive her? She’d seen Wolverine head to the Danger Room, his program of choice designed to vent all of his pent up rage and pain. Kitty had done this to the people she loved. There would be no redemption for her.

The bedroom door creaked open and a tall, dark Russian stepped inside. He moved to her after closing the door behind him, taking her shoulders in his hands.

“Katya?”

“Pete,” she whimpered brokenly. “I did this. It’s all my fault.”

“Shh,” he quieted her, pulling her trembling body toward him. “It will be all right. Everything will work out.”

“If I had just been patient, if I hadn’t jumped the gun…”

“Kathryn, stop this,” Piotr ordered. “You are doing no one any good.”

She dissolved into further sobs, shaking her body against Piotr’s and wetting his t-shirt with her tears. He weathered it silently, rocking her soothingly and whispering endearments in soft Russian. Kitty could barely think, barely breathe under the weight of her guilt.

When, at last, she pulled back from Piotr’s shoulder, her face ravaged by tears, she shook her head.

“It should be me,” she whispered brokenly. “They should have taken me away.”

“What would that solve?” Piotr questioned.

Kitty glared at him.

“Storm is strong, do not doubt her or Doctor McCoy and Wolverine. You do not give her enough credit.”

She bit her lip, looking away. With everything going on, she still couldn’t wrap her head around it. Piotr had been her rock through the worst of grief and guilt. Here he was now, defending her as though she deserved it.

“Upsetting yourself this way is not good for you.” He said gently. “Or our own child.”

Kitty instinctively dropped her hand to her stomach, tears slipping down stained cheeks all over again. Piotr covered her hand with his own, giving her a small smile. They had only found out two days ago, deciding to keep it under wraps as long as they could. Heavens knew what Logan and Ororo would do to them when they found out.

“If she had known,” her love continued. “She would have taken the fall for you anyway.”

A short, slight chuckle escaped Kitty’s lips. “Damn, you’re probably right.”

“We must be strong.” He said, ducking his head to catch her gaze. “And have faith. We will aid Storm in any way we can.”

“I feel so damn guilty,” Kitty admitted. “For betraying her and…being so damn glad they didn’t come for me.”

Piotr shushed her again, sliding onto the bed behind her so he could draw her exhausted body against his chest. Wrapped in his arms, she felt safe and sated, as though nothing in the world would dare touch them.

“No,” he replied in a whisper against her ear. “That is simply human, Katya.”

They stayed that way well into night, keeping the demons at bay until sunrise.

~**~

“I got that, Lew, but we can’t just walk away,” Trish snapped into her cellular phone. She paced the sunroom with barely restrained agitation, the look on Wolverine’s face haunting her.

“I feel fine,” she countered her producer. “Well, fine enough. They sent the National fucking Guard, Lew!”

“I understand your frustration, Trish, but we’re worried about you.” Lew attempted to calm her from Washington.

“Yeah, whatever,” Trish waved him off. Damn, if she hadn’t quit smoking five years ago, she’d go hunting for a cigarette. “This is a mondo story, Lew. I mean fucking huge. They arrest a pregnant mutant for trying to help humans? That’s got ‘lead story’ written all over it in pink, sparkly neon!”

Lew chuckled at her words. “I know that and trust me, I’ve got reporters salivating over it.”

“I took a fucking bullet for this story, I’m not letting someone else take it. Get me a damn camera crew. I know Rob’s still in the hospital, he’ll understand.”

Her producer sighed. “Trish, are you sure the adrenaline isn’t talking? You did watch them arrest your friend.”

“Its not an adrenaline high,” she shot back. “Its news. Good fucking news. I want it. I need it. I can sway public opinion so fast it’ll make that rat bastard’s head spin like a top.”

Silence. Trish held her breath. She was still shaking from the aftermath, rage and fear warring inside of her until it was hard to breathe. Her friend, her only female friend, drawn away like some goddamn terrorist. That wasn’t justice, it was vengeance. Come hell or high water, she wasn’t shutting up.

Trask could shoot her all he wanted; Trish drew the line at going after her friends. They’d tried to take Hank first. Big mistake. Huge. Now they arrested Storm on some bullshit charge.

Oh, the American public loved its heroes and villains. The eternal battle between good and evil, even given it’s many shades of gray. Trish would ensure they saw Storm as Christ reborn and Trask the devil himself.

“Ok,” Lew said finally. “I’m sending out Crew D. Don’t fuck this up, Tilby, and for the love of God, be careful!”

“I love you, Lew. Say hi to Ellen for me.” She snapped her cellular closed and breathed a sigh of relief.

“You must be out of your mind.”

Turning so sharply it made pain zing through her chest, Trish whirled on her furred lover. Hank stood in the archway leading from the sunroom to the main house, arms crossed over his chest.

From the look on his face, Trish was in for a very long night.
Chapter Sixteen: Choosing Sides by Gaineewop



Chapter Sixteen: Choosing Sides

I don't wanna know it's over
Cause ignorance is bliss
I can hardly see
What's in front of me
Cause the vodka's running on empty
I can't stay sober
If it's over
~Hinder



Their bedroom still smelled of her. Her bathrobe hung on the bathroom door, her discarded nightgown on the edge of the carefully made bed. One set of windows was thrust open to allow the freezing air in. They were both more comfortable in the cold, thrived on it.

He stood in the center of their room, glancing from the nightgown and laundry she’d folded still sitting on the bed, waiting to be put away to the recently assembled furniture for their unborn child. His heart clenched so painfully he grunted with the force.

Never in what little of his life he could remember had his missed someone like this. During the few daylight hours that remained, Logan and Hank had called the lawyers to arms, readied themselves for the battle that waited in the distance. It wouldn’t be pretty or neat or even gentlemanly. Logan planned on fighting dirty. Plenty of ball-kicking and fish-hooking.

Taking another step into their bedroom, he scooped up his things from the bed. She always ensured his clothing smelled clean, with only hints of soap. He had mentioned once that overpowering soap threw off his sense of smell, which is why he preferred to wear a t-shirt once or twice, no matter how disgusting some thought of it.

Since then, Ororo was careful to ensure his laundry was relatively scent-free.

Woodenly, Logan put his clothing into the dresser drawers she had cleared out for him. He went back to the bed, taking her clothing and doing the same. He remembered peeking into her underwear drawer once several weeks ago. She had everything arranged by color, style and brand. He’d laughed.

Looking down into it now brought pain. Sharp and overwhelming, rage and sorrow warred with mind-numbing worry inside of him. Logan did not even attempt to stay upright. He fell onto his backside on the floor, thrusting both hands into his hair.

They had come so far. From his leaving every few weeks to something real and solid. Now, this bastard in Washington threatened to take everything away. He’d promised her “ sworn “ that he wouldn’t let them take her or the baby. They had both now, and Logan was left adrift and alone.

“Logan?”

Marie knocked on the open bedroom door, poking her head inside. Logan ignored her, content to wallow in his demons.

The Southern beauty padded into the room on bare feet, crouching beside him and quickly enveloping her friend in a warm, tight embrace. Logan gave in to her entreating arms, having always found her hugs comforting.

“You all right?” She asked in a hushed whisper, letting him hold her tightly.

“No.”

“Yeah,” Marie sighed. “Didn’t think so.”

“I have to get her back,” was his soft reply.

“We will, Logan,” Marie said with all the fire of a hopeful youngster.

He did not reply, but gave in when she urged him to place his head on her shoulder. Tiny shoulders, he thought, and yet so strong. He leaned against her, letting her carry some of his worry, if only for a little while.


~**~

In the sunroom several floors below, an enormous indigo mutant stood with enraged calm before his beautiful human lover. She met his gaze, unflinching, though he knew her sudden movement had to have hurt at least a little.

He watched as she collected herself, fingers gripping her cellular phone tightly. She prepared for battle as well as any X-Man; it did not matter if she fought with words or fists. Trish’s gray-blue eyes darkened with inner turmoil, his one statement still ringing through the still air. Her long dark hair lay over one shoulder, her free hand caught in the wavy locks at her forehead.

Coming upon the conversation had not been top on his list of things to do this evening. He had intended to put in a call to a Senator he had forged a close relationship with over the last several years, hoping to get more than one ball rolling in regards to Ororo’s sudden arrest. Hank needed to check on Logan before the man completely lost his mind.

There were children to look after, rounds to be made, a school to run…and Patricia was flirting with disaster.

“I know what I’m doing, Blue,” she said at last. “Someone has to be in the trenches here. I’ve got the loudest voice.”

“Yes, you do,” he shot back, not moving from his defensive stance in the doorway. “That voice nearly killed you.”

“At least his gunman was a lousy shot,” Trish said in an offhand manner.

“Do you think this is a game, Patricia?” Hank’s voice lowered to a dangerous growl.

How could she be so cavalier about her own life? Did she not realize how large she loomed in his world?

“You’re not looking at the bigger picture, Henry!” Trish fired back, balling both hands into fists as her left came down from her hair. “This isn’t just about Storm or the X-Men. It’s about all people, mutant and human alike!”

Hank crossed the room in two strides. Taking his love’s biceps in his massive hands, he hauled her up so she was within an inch of his face.

“You are not understanding me,” he said in a whisper that betrayed his turbulent emotions. “There is no ‘bigger picture’ without you.”

His words seemed to punch a hole in her defenses. Trish flinched, those expressive eyes speaking volumes. She cleared her throat, trying to maintain some sort of emotional distance. Hank refused to allow it. If she wanted to fight, to rush out with the first call to battle, she would do so knowing the full weight of her decision.

“I love you,” Hank said bluntly. “I love you as I have loved no other and yes, that includes Ororo. I spent hours in that hospital thinking I might never see you again. Do you have any conception of what that did to me?”

“Hank…” Trish whimpered. He ignored her.

“You want to help mutants, and that is an admirable goal.” He inhaled deeply, feeling the remnants of pain and fears roil in his stomach. “But you do so at the risk of your own life.”

“Is that any different than what you do?” Trish said evenly as she gathered her wits. “Or any of the X-Men? They tried to kill you, Henry. They tried to kill me, too. If we stop now, they’re going to win.”

He released her roughly, turning his back as she continued her tirade.

“They won’t stop until mutants are clapped in irons and branded. Magneto does have a point,” she hissed. “This will be the worst human rights atrocity since the Nazi Holocaust. We can’t let that happen.”

Thick blue fingers pinched the bridge of his nose, where a headache was steadily forming. He knew she was right, she usually was, but he resisted. It was selfish and childish and all manner of things Hank tended to avoid through logic and reason. But he could not escape the simple horror of watching someone put a bullet into the woman he loved.

Was it so bad to love like this? To want to protect someone against all odds, from all dangers? Hank had believed until this moment that his judgment was clouded when it came to his beloved reporter, but he faced the truth now. She had somehow become his world, wrapping his entire life around those delicate fingers.

“I know the risks, my dear,” he answered quietly. “I have known them all my life. I have marched into battle to protect those that hate and fear me. I did so gladly, knowing it was for some concept of greater good that surpassed any one creature.”

“Then why can’t you…”

“Because I’m a man,” he interrupted. “Not just a mutant, a fighter, an ambassador. I am as human as you are. My heart hurts at the thought of you in danger.”

Silence.

It stretched between them for several seconds before Patricia sighed.

“I’m not a princess,” she said somewhat acidly. “You can’t lock me in a tower while others battle the dragons at the gates. I need to be in the front lines, always have.”

“I know,” Hank swallowed thickly. Creeping dread came over his heart, a premonition of fate that he somehow knew he would be powerless to stop.

“You’ve always supported me,” she accused. “When I went into Rwanda, South Africa, Iran…you supported me. You gave me a hug, kissed my cheek and wished me luck. Why the hell can’t you do that now? Because we’re sleeping together?”

Her words lanced through Hank’s heart. He refused to turn as the first of what he feared would be many tears slipped silently down his furred cheeks. His voice, however, was completely steady.

“You were shot through the chest,” Hank answered. “And this does not concern you? They will silence you, my dear. The war you have declared on these people rages on.”

“I think,” Trish inhaled and exhaled shakily. “I think we should take a break here, Henry.”

There it was. Hank closed his eyes, having expected the simple, heartbreaking words for the last several minutes. His mind immediately flashed back to the day he’d pushed Ororo away, the resonating sound of the door slamming behind her.

“Trish,” he whispered, turning to her.

She stepped back, drawing up emotional around her like a knight’s impenetrable steel. There were unshed tears in his love’s blue eyes, the once dark depths now swirling silver with turmoil. He wanted to reach for her, to soothe both of their fears away until they were forgotten completely.

“No,” she shook her head. “We’re shifting our focus from the real issues. Our work has always been our life. We can’t just walk away from that now. You have to do what you do best and so do I. Maybe we just can’t do that together.”

“You are going to walk out on me.” It was a statement, the tears he refused to shed evident in every word.

“I don’t have a choice.” Her tone was filled with emotion, no matter how she tried to fight it.

“Your work over me,” Hank shook his head, taking a deep breath. “I never thought you that ambitious.”

Trish tilted her chin up in open defiance. “I am my work, Henry.”

Anger was better than the hurt. Hank pulled at it, letting it consume him until he shook from the awesome force. He wanted to hate her, scream, rage, do anything but feel his heart breaking in his chest.

“Then leave.” He whispered. “If that is what you want, leave me.”

She paused, her lips parting as though she wanted to say something. She stopped, shook her head and moved toward him. When she leaned up for a kiss, Hank turned his head. A tear slid down his cheek as she grabbed the car keys from the table by the sunroom arch.

He listened to her strong, unfaltering steps as they carried her out of the sunroom, down the hall and into the foyer.

The door slammed behind her.

With uncharacteristic anger, Hank grasped the glass-inlaid table of the sunroom and tossed it with an enraged scream. Ignoring the gasp that came from Betsy Braddock, Hank stomped from the sunroom, holding his hand up so she would not follow him.

He entered the Headmistress’ office, closing the door with a loud bang behind him. Ororo had changed quite a bit in the massive space, but she had left Charles’ beloved bar in tact. There were many times when the founder of the X-Men would offer his former students a drink on a quiet evening.

This time, however, Henry was in the market for something more than a simple drink with his mentor. He dove for the locked chest of the bar, opening the tiny lock with a key hidden beneath a shot glass.

The cherry wood of the handmade bar was inlaid with brass; the surface so clean Hank could see his reflection in it. Charles had stocked all manner of liquor and glasses on the sturdy shelves, so that the private watering hole would accommodate anyone.

Hank reached behind several bottles, locating one of expensive vodka. Piotr always brought back a bottle or two for the adults at the school when he returned from trips to Russia. Hank stood, bottle in hand, and took a clean glass from the wooden shelf.

He plopped into one of the squashy leather armchairs beside the bar, placing his vodka and glass on a small cherry table that rested between two chairs.

Trish had left him. Just like Ororo. Was he really so rigid that two women found him impossible to deal with? God, he didn’t want to think. He wanted the pain welling in his chest to just go away.

Pouring himself a drink, Hank bit back tears. He didn’t know if he could survive this a second time.

~**~

Up at dawn, Wolverine dressed quickly and quietly. There was no watching her dress this morning, no giddy feeling of her swelling abdomen. Only him, alone with hated sorrow and bitter rage. Sleep had not come easily, even when Marie tucked him into his bed, soothing him with soft, sweet words of reassurance.

Pulling his flannel shirt closed over his signature white tank, Logan left the bedroom at a near run. He couldn’t be in there right now, not with the memory of her arrest so fresh in his mind. He had to move, to do before he lost what little mind he retained in the face of this newest horror.

First came checking on the children, ensuring teachers were awake. Classes would go on as usual, something Logan was sure Ororo would want. Once he set Kitty and Pete to cooking breakfast for the teeming brood, he went to search for Marie. She knew, better than anyone, what was needed to get through each and every school day.

Logan pushed aside pain and anger, focusing on the task at hand. The children would need guidance, reassurance that the school itself was not in any danger. If Logan had to protect each and every brick, soul, and blade of fucking grass, he would. This was his home and more than that, it was Ororo’s dream. He would not let it fall while there was breath in his lungs.

Marie happened to be in her office, looking far too frazzled for seven in the morning. Haloed Warren was opposite her, thumbing through what looked to be stacks of paperwork while Marie’s hands tore at her long, striped hair.

“What’s wrong?” Logan demanded, stepping easily into the room.

“Nothin’,” Marie replied in a tone that spoke volumes.

“She is a little touchy this morning,” Warren piped up almost conversationally. “Thrown off her routine with Storm…gone.”

Though Logan appreciated the insight and attempt at politic reference to Ororo, the thought of her hurt. He pushed it aside as best he could, trying to concentrate on where they needed to go from here.

“I’m just…I’m fine,” Marie continued. “I can handle this.”

“What needs doin’?” Logan questioned quickly. “I’m here for ya.”

“No,” the Southerner shook her head. “You need to go take care of Mister Ambassador.”

Logan’s heart thudded in his chest. “What happened to Furball?”

“About three bottles of vodka,” Warren chimed in easily. “He’s in the main office.”

Turning on his heel, leaving stressed out Marie in Warren’s capable hands, Logan bolted for Ororo’s office. Vodka? Did Beast even drink? The most Logan had ever seen the man consume was a single glass of wine usually with dinner.

Redirecting Artie to the kitchen and confiscating what looked suspiciously like a snowball, Logan managed to get to the office some five minutes after leaving Marie’s. Things like that could take a while when surrounded by finicky, hormonal teenagers with uncontrolled mutant powers. Every day was an adventure, at least.

A quick sniff in the direction of the office door told him that Beast was, in fact, inside. The stench of sweat and liquor made him sneeze several times, his oversensitive nose disliking the mingled scents.

Logan slipped into the office, startled to find one enormous blue mutant completely passed out on the large Persian in the center of the room. Hank McCoy had one massive indigo hand wrapped around an empty bottle, his shirt hanging on a lamppost, suspenders twisted against his fur.

It had to be one of the funniest damn things Logan had ever seen. And the most disturbing. Several things in his life were unchangeable. Storm’s tenacity, Marie’s innocence, Beast’s level headed calm.

And yet, here was the Ambassador himself, snoring drunkenly in his mentor’s old office. It had to be some kind of record.

Logan stomped toward the enormous mutant, crouching beside him when the man did not even startle. Obviously the vodka had gone straight to his system. Jesus, what a mess. Where the hell was Trish when he actually needed her?

It dawned on him the moment he thought her name. Trish. What else but a woman could drive the calm, collected Beast headfirst into vodka? The good vodka even, Logan noted as he pried the empty bottle from Hank’s clawed hands. He’d managed to get into Piotr’s private stash.

Well, if you were going to get decently hammered, why not do it with the good stuff? Made sense in Logan’s mind.

He dwelled on thoughts of Trish. Had he seen her this morning? No. In fact, he’d thought it odd that Hank’s car was not in the driveway when he’d grabbed the morning paper. He had simply assumed that Hank and driven Trish back to New York or something. Then again, that made no sense. No way Hank would leave the school right now.

The answer was obvious. Liquored up Hank, missing car, woman gone. Trish had left Hank.

This was going to be a wonderful day, Logan mused as he pried one of Hank’s eyes open with rough fingers. The man groaned loudly, his breath smelling as though someone had stuffed a dead bird into it.

“Rise and shine, Valentine,” Logan drawled as the other eye opened slowly. “Have yourself a party last night? Without me? I’m wounded.”

“Do shut up, Wolverine,” Hank croaked.

Logan dropped his hand, resting his elbows on bent knees as Hank rolled onto his side painfully. Oh, Logan did not envy the hangover his friend was due to have. Downing a bottle of the good shit usually left one feeling somewhat delicate the next morning.

Of course, he couldn’t resist the urge to mess with his friend.

“That bottle cost Piotr a pretty penny,” Logan continued. “He’s gonna be pissed.”

“Oh God,” Hank groaned. “What did I do?”

Logan tilted his head, watching as Hank rubbed at his face as though it were on fire. “You lost it, Hank. Happens to everyone.”

Pain reflected in the soft blue of Beast’s eyes. Logan did not have to be a telepath to realize that memory had just come flooding back to him. Poor guy. He’d drunk enough to down an ox, but that healing factor of his made staying that way a challenge. Logan understood about that, he couldn’t remember how many bottles went to waste in his super-healing body after the deaths of his X-Men brethren.

“She left me,” Hank muttered. The pain in his voice twisted Logan’s already bruised heart.

“Figured that much out on my own,” the feral replied. “Why?”

Hank sniffled, trying to hide it by running his hands over his face again. Logan indulged him his subterfuge. Man Law demanded he ignore it.

“One more into the breach,” Hank quoted with something like bitterness in his voice. “She went back to Washington or New York or somewhere to cover Ororo’s arrest. Wasn’t that nice of her?”

It took Logan several seconds to puzzle that one out.

So, Trish had gone back to work. All right, he could understand that. She loved her work, was so good at it, someone had tried to kill her. Oh. Oh. Logan’s brain caught up quickly. Hank had gone male on her, giving in to that baser instinct to protect what was his, Trish rebelled against it.

He nodded to himself, considering his brain caught up.

“You’re scared,” Logan grunted, reaching out to clasp Hank’s shoulder.

“Terrified,” he admitted. Man Law dictated that never left this room.

“We’re all on edge here,” the mutant continued quietly. “I understand where you’re comin’ from, believe me. But I see her side, too. She wants to help.”

“At the risk of her own life,” Hank muttered miserably.

Logan sat on his backside as Hank drew himself up to sit against the squashy armchair behind him. They were quiet for several moments, Beast obviously sobering up as Logan draped his arms over his knees, cocking his head to the side so he could study his friend’s profile.

“I love her,” Hank said simply. “How can she not see that?”

“Dunno,” Logan stated slowly. “Maybe she does. Maybe that scares her.”

“Or, perhaps, I am not enough for her.”

That sentence hung on the air, heavy and filled with hidden meaning. The mutant men refused to look at one another, Hank studying the ceiling while Logan bored his gaze into the rug beneath them.

“I’m sorry about Trish, Hank,” Logan said at last. “But mopin’ an’ drinkin’ won’t bring her back to you.”

“I know.” Hank sighed, expelling a long breath shakily.

“Get up and take a shower, you smell like shit.”

His friend chuckled lightly. “Thank you, Logan.”

“Hey, anytime, bub.”

~**~


Ororo woke in a large “cell” that had been painted with cheap white paint some time ago. It was peeling in several places, the dank smell of her prison turning her pregnancy-sensitive stomach just a little.

She took the pillow from between her knees, where it had kept pressure off of her back and hips as she sat up. Her first night in prison had not been quite as bad as she expected. Several of the guards had invited her to join in their Spades game, pulling the table up to her barred door. The game had dragged into the late hours, but Ororo was shocked to realize she’d actually had fun.

It took her mind off of what she was doing here, off of the fears for her unborn child, her lover, her school. She’d promised the men a rematch. Maybe they were trying to distract her, but whatever the reason, she was glad for Goldstein’s men. They were good people.

“Morning, Miz Munroe,” a young Bostonian accent greeted as the key turned in the lock. She fought to sit up, clutching her stomach tightly.

“Good morning,” she replied, running a hand through her hair.

“Breakfast,” the man smiled, setting a tray down on the small table inside her cell. He handed her a bag as well, his easy grin setting her at ease, no matter what uniform he wore.

“What’s this?” She asked, unzipping the bag.

“Fresh clothes, one of your students packed it and sent it along. Our jumpers aren’t made for…erm…pregnant ladies.”

Ororo flashed him a small smile. “Thank you.”

“Once you eat, we’ll take you to shower.”

She nodded as he left. Her stomach rumbled, followed by a swift kidney shot from the child inside of her. Chuckling to herself, despite the challenging situation before her, she dug into her breakfast, which consisted of eggs, toast, a over-cooked bacon.

The guards took her to an open shower, where other prisoners were segregated from her. She was allowed little privacy, not that it bothered her. Just being able to shampoo her hair and don fresh clothing was a luxury.

Once back in her cell, Ororo walked to the wide, barred window. Her hair was wet, lying haphazardly at her shoulders. She wondered what her family was doing at the school. Had Logan continued to hold classes? Was he coping as well as he could while surrounded by the unshakable support system granted by extended family?

“Miz Munroe?” The voice came again and with it the key turning in the lock. “You’ve got…a visitor.”

Curious, Ororo turned from the window as the heavy steel door opened. Smoothing her maternity blouse over her belly, Ororo waited impassively as the dark form of Bolivar Trask entered her cell.

The victorious gleam in his eye made her want to flinch, but she held her ground. He would not know how much his manic smile unnerved her. Ororo forced her hands to remain at her sides, not willing to protectively cover her pregnant stomach. She would be strong, for her child.

“Miss Munroe.”

“Secretary Trask.”

His slimy smirk was somewhat diminished by the guard standing at the door. The Bostonian was obviously not going to throw her to the wolves. There was comfort and reassurance of the innate good in human beings at that gesture. Charles would have been elated by the strength she gained from that one, simple sign.

“You are being treated well, I hope?” Trask questioned, clasping his hands behind his back.

This was the first time Ororo had seen the man up close. He was impressive. His stature bordered on giant, dark eyes filled with conviction and madness. His tailored suit fit him perfectly, the excellent cuts flattering what could have been a trim figure had it completely covered the slight pooch in his midsection.

He remained a polite distance away, his hands clasped behind his back. Ororo brought her hands together, threading her fingers neatly below her swelling stomach. Charles had taught her every rule about high society, ensuring she was comfortable on the streets, in the wilds of Africa, and the most stately of ballrooms.

“Quite,” she replied with a smile.

“I assure you, the trial will be processed with haste,” Trask went on.

“Of course it will,” Ororo said blandly. “Once the press gets hold of this, your superiors will be on your back to resolve it.”

She had the distinct pleasure of seeing the thick vein in Trask’s dark forehead jump slightly before he controlled himself.

Zealots were quite fun to poke at, though she would never admit to that aloud.

His tone was even, controlled when he spoke again. “Do you require medical attention for the fetus?”

“No,” she said calmly and with a forced smile. This bastard would come no where near her unborn child. “The baby and I were checked just last week. Everything is as it should be.”

“Of course,” he bowed slightly. “Should you require…”

“I will call on my own doctor,” she interrupted. “Which is well within my rights.”

“Of course,” he repeated. Ororo wondered if he honestly thought she would submit to any medical testing. Had he never heard of Wolverine? She would not allow anyone that could remotely be tied to the organization that harmed her beloved Logan near their child.

“Was there anything else?”

“No, not at all. I merely wanted to check in on you.”

“Well, as you can see, I am perfectly fine.” Her voice dropped to a sinister growl. “Now get out of my sight you putrid, spineless fraction of a man.”

With distinct pleasure, she watched his eyes widen, his pulse point jump erratically.

“Watch yourself, mutant,” he replied in a deathly quiet tone. “You are under my mercy now.”

Storm cocked her head to the side, smirking with sarcasm. “Am I? Have you not met my friends? You, Secretary Trask, are damned.”

They stared at one another, eyes locked in a battle of wills that should have shaken the heavens with massive, violent thunder. But Ororo controlled her mutant carefully, drawing on the inner peace her pregnancy gifted her with. The child inside of her was calming, giving her an easy control factor for her emotions.

He had tried to crack her, but Ororo would not give in. No matter how she wanted to rage, defend herself, exact vengeance, she would refrain.

Now, Trask knew that.

“Coming out!” He called to the guard before addressing her again. “Enjoy what time you have with the child. I intend to make sure it is limited.”

“You do not frighten me, Mister Secretary,” she tossed off easily. “I have faced far worse.”

“We shall see,” he bowed again as the door opened.

Once he was gone, Ororo exhaled slowly, grabbing the bedrail and stumbling to sit. She covered her swollen tummy with both hands, taking several deep breaths. Oh, how she had lied. That man terrified her.

She lay back down, feeling her baby press at the inside of her stomach gently. It was going to be a long day.
Chapter Seventeen: The Visit by Gaineewop


Chapter Seventeen: The Visit

Darling, I forgive you after all
Anything is better than to be alone
And in the end I guess I had to fall
Always find my place among the ashes
I can't hold on to me
Wonder what's wrong with me
~Evanescence



“The battle for Alcatraz Island could have been taken directly out of a Hollywood screenplay. There were good guys, bad guys, and innocent lives in the balance. A group wielding enormous and uncontrollable power stormed the island after shifting the Golden Gate Bridge itself. And as with any good script, the heroes of the day were just as extraordinary and noble as the best Tinsel Town has to offer.”

He watched with hooded, furious eyes as the woman moved with calculated grace along the studio wall. The blue screen behind her was filled with images taken from the battle two years prior and she ran them without pity or mercy.

“What would have been missing from such this simple, thrilling tale was the romantic kiss between hero and heroine, the cliché yet heartwarming ride into the sunset. Instead, they would have only been given more pain. Here in New York, just two days ago, the mutant known as Storm was arrested for crimes no one seems ready to confirm or deny.”

Without changing his expression, he reached forward to turn the monitor’s volume up.

“Storm, whom has been badgered by questions and loathsome innuendo for the last two years, was taken from her home early Monday morning. Ripped from her family, the woman endured her arrest without so much as a tremble. She is currently being held at an undisclosed location, though spokesmen for the United States government assured the press that she is being well cared for.”

He snorted crudely, watching the raven haired, stormy eyed woman with careful consideration. She was formidable; he had known that from her first scathing report. But in light of this new development there was fire in her eyes that no amount of calm composure could ever completely quell.

“However, during the conference held this morning at the U.N.’s headquarters, the press was shocked to learn that Storm is well into her second trimester. She is expecting a child this summer, which was not taken into account when she was arrested. Already hundreds of protests have been raised and demands made that the woman be released while pending trial.”

Of course there had been demands, he thought with something like admiration. Before Tilby even contemplated getting in front of that camera, she had faxed and emailed her copy of the report to every mutant activist group in the country. She’d fanned the flames before getting started.

Clever. Very clever.

“When Secretary Trask, whom has been credited with the arrest and impending trial, was asked why a pregnant woman was arrested so nonchalantly, he merely stated “ quote “ “We are treating Storm as we would any woman under suspicion”. End quote.

“But has Trask finally gone too far? His obsession and crusade have already brought him under fire by his own allies. What is to become of Storm and her unborn child? What of the father? Are his rights to be infringed upon as well? Patricia Tilby, NCBC News, New York.”

The television monitor clicked off, halting the live report. Stryker looked around the room, his eyes finding the fury in Trask almost immediately.

“That bitch.”

“Your sharpshooter shouldn’t have missed,” he replied mildly.

“My sharpshooter has been dealt with,” Trask said testily as he rounded the long table. He rifled through his files for several tensely silent moments, leaving Stryker to gaze at the mansion’s monitors.

Wolverine was cooking. If that were not comical enough, he seemed to be singing along with whatever music was playing in the kitchen. The man was so simple, Stryker thought. He’d been such an eager student, so ready to alter himself forever in the name of battle.

He had lied so effortlessly all those years ago at Alkali Lake. Face to face with clawed Wolverine had brought about all those instincts he’d thought buried. The man known only as Logan had been his greatest triumph. Not only had his body renewed itself after the adamantium alteration, his temperament had been the perfection the project had so sorely needed.

But his Wolverine had run away from him. Stripped of the memories of his former life, an unanticipated side effect had destroyed Stryker’s work. He had thought that taking his memories would leave the man pliable, willing to undergo anything and trusting his creator completely.

How could he have known that Wolverine would revert to a completely primal state?

Wolverine had to be brought back into the fold. Storm and her unfortunate offspring would provide him with the means. Logan was to be his greatest assassin, crusader for everything he stood for. When he outlived his usefulness…well, Stryker was not foolish enough to attempt killing him. He would be handed his past, that thin, battered manila folder Stryker had locked in a bank.

He continued to watch the man as children flooded the kitchen, drawn by whatever was cooking on the stove. Logan laughed at something the young girl “ Rogue he thought “ mimed nausea.

It was too bad, really. Perhaps the Wolverine would have made a good father.

“Everything is in place for Storm’s extraction,” Trask broke into the silence again.

“Are you certain?”

“Yes,” the dark man nodded. “If Goldstein had not interfered, we could have moved more swiftly. As it stands, this will not go over well.”

“What do I care?” Stryker waved him off impatiently as Logan looked up, seemingly aware that he was being watched. “The public is your problem.”

“You do not need to remind me,” his companion muttered.

Stryker smiled benevolently as Wolverine continued looking about, as though unable to discover the source of his instinctual alertness. His eyes found the camera and for a moment, Stryker stared right back at him.

It would be good to have the Wolverine back home. When the time was right.

~**~

“Its good work,” Lew complimented his favorite investigative reporter as she lounged in his office.

He was a tall, lanky man in his middle years with a full head of gray hair. His face, once considered uncommonly handsome, was gouged with the unfaltering lines of time. Dark eyes glittered with a reporter’s wit and a father’s kindness. He had seen wars, various coup d'état, and government scandal.

The time he spent in Nam showed in the dimpled scar on his cheek, a run in with militants in South Africa reflected in his eyes. He had rarely spoken of what happened during his forty-day imprisonment, but Trish had seen the change in his eyes upon his return.

She’d been an intern then, carefully tucked under his wing before he’d torn off into the hate riots of Johannesburg. When he came back, he hung up his investigative cap and donned that of a producer. He had backed the idealistic Tilby from the get-go, ensuring she gobbled up airtime and sank her teeth into hard-hitting reports.

She adored him.

Lew Richards, once an award-winning reporter turned exalted producer, regarded her carefully over the expanse of his antique oak desk. His hands were clasped firmly, the grim set to his mouth telling her more than a thousand carefully chosen words.

He could see she hadn’t slept much, that she was back to living on coffee and air with a few painkillers thrown in for flavor. She hated the damn things, but they pushed the pain away. Since that terrible night two weeks ago, when she’d walked out on Hank, nothing was right.

Her world was off-kilter, a little to the left of center. She hated it, hated the fact that losing a man had done this to her.

Then again, Hank was never just another man.

“What happened?”

Two words, a wealth of meaning. Though reporters by trade, by soul, Trish and Lew never needed anything more than simple sentences and crisp words to get their feelings across. She knew her friend better than most, allowed him to see parts of her better left unexposed.

“Hank and I broke up.” No pretenses, no lies. It wouldn’t have mattered. He would have seen through her defenses as though they were made of glass. Why bother fighting it?

“Because you wanted this story?”

“Because I need this story,” she countered. “I took a bullet for it.”

“Precisely,” Lew sighed, scrubbing a hand over his aging face. “You shouldn’t let your work come between you.”

“He has his job and I have mine,” Trish deflected, her ire rising. “He should understand what I’m trying to accomplish.”

Lew tilted his head, gazing at her openly, gauging her, measuring. “I imagine he’s having a hard time seeing past watching you take that bullet on the evening news.”

Trish’s mouth came closed with an audible snap of teeth. The observation that Hank so often did that was not lost on her, but pushed aside to be dealt with another time. Lew continued to watch her, not the least bit disturbed by her temper.

Hadn’t he let her scream and destroy his office after that disaster in Rwanda? She’d yelled and fought, then gave into the grief of losing a fellow journalist. Lew let her get it out, handed her off to a tactile Hank.

He was more her father than the man who impregnated her distant mother.

She stood, knowing temper was allowed, that it wouldn’t be rebuffed or shied from. Temper was all right, she could let it out. Grief. Sorrow. Bliss. Everything was all right.

“I don’t want to scare him, Lew. I really don’t.” She brought her hands up, the tiny fists giving way to white knuckles. “Goddamnit, I want to hide him in a hole just to protect that heart. I’m so damned afraid I’ll hurt him, or someone else will.”

“All that aside, sugar, I don’t think he gives a shit,” Lew observed mildly. “Anyone can see he’s wild about you, though right now, I couldn’t tell you why.”

Trish snatched up a crystal paperweight and hurled it at him.

Lew grinned as he easily dodged the heavy projectile. “Still throw like a girl.”

She sighed, bringing her aching hands up to rub at her temples. “I don’t know what to do here, Lew. I’m scared and I’m hurting “ physically and emotionally “ but I can’t take it back. I can’t let this go.”

He shrugged one shoulder. “Then don’t. You’ve got to meet each other halfway. Just ask Helen. She’s gone through more for this reporter in thirty-five years than most.”

Trish paused, thinking of Lew’s lovely, beautiful wife. She’d given him five children, waited alone for his return for months at a time.

“Helen’s a saint, she doesn’t count,” Trish returned. Most of the fight had left her, so she dropped back into her chair.

“Sure she is,” Lew agreed, glancing at the photo of her and their kids sitting so proudly on his desk. “But even she went nuts when I took that story in Johannesburg after the fiasco in Calcutta. We didn’t speak for months.”

The dark haired protégé looked down at her hands, picking at nails in desperate need of a manicure. Her dear friend leaned forward, taking her hand over the cluttered desk and squeezing it paternally.

“Don’t let it take a prison “ or a bullet “ to fix this, sugar.”

Before she could answer, Mitch came barreling into the room. He tripped and pitched forward, gripping the metal doorknob to hold himself upright. The usually immaculately groomed man was a mess of flyaways, his face puffy and red from running.

“You’re not going to believe this.”

That was all that needed saying in a newsroom. Trish and Lew were on their feet, scrambling out of the office for a peek at the dozens of monitors in the screening room. Trish skid to a halt, narrowly avoiding a collision with several gawking reporters.

“There,” Mitch took Trish’s arm and indicated to the center screen.

On it, her beloved Hank stood before a mass of flashing cameras and bickering journalists. He looked as handsome as ever in a tailored suit, the black-rimmed glasses glinting in the light as he read from an obviously pre-composed statement.

“Because of changes in my personal life, I have resigned from my position as a United Nations Ambassador. This decision has been weighed heavily and revolves around the need for me in another place. I will be taking on my former profession as an educator at the request of a close friend.”

Trish let her hand cover her mouth as he continued, thanking everyone for the opportunity to work with the U.N. before taking questions.

“Freddie’s there,” Mitch whispered to her. “It was supposed to be a run of the mill press conference.”

She shook his half-assed apology off, turning her back on the image of her Henry, trying to block out the sound of his voice.

“Damn it, Hank,” she whispered as she slammed into her office. “What did you do?”

~**~

In the silence of late night, Logan moved through the mansion easily. Christmas had been a subdued affair. The children go into the spirit somewhat late and even then, there was the dull ache beneath the merriment of a missing family member.

He’d tried his hardest to shield the kids from Tilby’s ongoing attacks on the government in the name of justice. After that first, awful night, he’d had to fish Hank out of a vodka bottle twice more. The second time, Logan had sworn to murder him if he tried it again.

Hank had been on his best behavior since then. It wasn’t so bad though, Logan admitted. Keeping busy kept him from feeling the loss of his woman and child too keenly. During the day, he had so much to do that he barely spared a thought for himself.

He liked it that way.

But in the night, when the unwelcome guest of darkness crept inside, his mind ran amok with fear and worry. He kept it at bay by continuing his rounds, checking on the children, ensuring everything was in place for the next day.

Logan hated feeling so lost. Though Hank was now with them full time, he couldn’t get past that damn near debilitating lonesomeness. ‘Ro’s arrest had left him all lone in the life they had begun to make for themselves. His life was her, their baby, the family they made. It just didn’t work without her.

He entertained ideas of breaking her out, but knew it would never work. They would have to abandon their life here and he figured neither of them was ready for that. Everything was off it’s keel, but he had to hold it together.

‘Ro would, he thought. If she could hold her shit together after losing Jean and Scott and Chuck, damn it, he could hold it together now.

Logan climbed the stairs and ducked into his bedroom. Her scent was fading; it didn’t matter. His sensory perception could bring back that telltale scent on command. He did so now, closing his eyes quickly as he disrobed.

Yeah. He could smell her, see the hazy memory-image of her brushing her teeth in the bathroom, rubbing a dark hand over her swelling middle. For just a moment, just that single instant before reality came crashing back in, his soul was calmed, soothed by the presence of his mate.

“Hello, Logan.”

Eyes snapped open and a bare-chested Wolverine spun on the balls of his feet like a cat. Every hair on his body stood at end, spooked in a way that he could never recall in what life he remembered.

Standing in the entrance to the terrace, flanked by the curtains that danced lightly in the chilled winter breeze, was Charles Xavier.

Logan took one step closer, wanting the paternal, gentle presence of the school’s late Headmaster without any thought to reality. He felt his spine chill, the scream of instinct in his blood telling him that this wasn’t possible.

That soft, kind smile and the twinkle in those blue eyes was so familiar, though. His pressed suit was of a light gray, that familiar face etched with time, his head completely bald. God, it looked like Xavier.

“You’re dead,” Logan breathed, one hand reaching, searching though he knew it was useless.

“Quite,” Charles said almost jovially. “It does put a damper on one’s social schedule.”

Unable to resist, Logan’s lips twitched into a small smile. He relaxed a fraction, no matter what the inner beast was telling him.

“Think of this little visit as a dream,” Xavier offered in his usual soothing manner. “You fell asleep watching The Undefeated on AMC.”

Somewhat calmed by that thought, as Logan had made it a point to attempt staying up to watch one of his favorites, he relaxed a fraction.

“Ok.” Logan grunted. “What’s up, Chuck?”

“Put a shirt on,” Charles grinned. “Then come outside with me.”

Logan did as commanded, pulling his battered tank over his head before he followed the solid-looking image of his friend onto the terrace. He thought, briefly, that this was where his entire relationship with Ororo had begun. The thought sliced through him, leaving his heart open and bleeding.

Charles moved to the heavy stone railing, placing his lily-white hands on the edge and staring out across the grounds that had been his. Logan stood beside him, still somewhat alarmed that he was having such a vivid dream. He’d tried to not think about this man, the first person to show him kindness, that genuinely wanted to help him.

This one man had changed his entire life. How did you thank someone for that?

“I love this place,” Charles said softly. “So many nights I sat out here to watch the light dim, to count the stars as they appeared. I could hear the mental hum of my students, my family, in the house. I let it fall away until I was alone.”

Logan remained silent, surprised to see this side of his friend.

“When Ororo came to me, she crept out here on her first night. I was sitting right here and she boldly came up behind me, sat on the rail. We talked of her life in Cairo, of mine here. She, quite simply, became my friend that night.”

He smiled though his eyes never strayed from the beautiful view from the balcony. Logan’s heart twisted again, imagining a young, knobby-kneed Ororo coming to her mentor that first night, so afraid of this new life. Did he know? Had Charles known how remarkable that little girl would be as she grew into adulthood?

Did he know that he’d played such a large part in shaping her?

“I loved Scott and Jean as the children I was never meant to have,” Charles continued quietly. “But Ororo was my friend, my confidante.”

“And me?” Logan asked without thinking as he leaned his elbows on the railing, letting his hands dangle over the side. “What was I?”

Charles turned those soulful eyes to him. “You, Wolverine, were someone I needed to save. I fear I did not accomplish that goal while I lived.”

“Nope,” Logan admitted, looking over the grounds as he spoke. “You did it after you died.”

“So I see,” his friend had emotion in his voice. “I only wish I had lived to see you together.”

Logan smiled briefly, ducking his head before he turned to look at Chuck again. “She’s my whole world, Chuck.”

“Oh, how I know it,” he chuckled softly. “You would gladly charge into Hell for her. And she understands that so clearly.”

“She’d do the same for me,” Logan confessed, letting his emotions show. What the hell did he have to hide? It was his dream and who would Chuck tell?

“I need not ask you to take care of her, as you are well on your way.” Charles met his eyes again, unflinching and searching. “Everything will work out, have faith in that, Logan.”

He wanted to. Oh, he wanted to believe Chuck’s words, but deep inside, that fear and nagging worry consumed him. He couldn’t shake it off. He was terrified someone would take Ororo and their unborn child away forever. He wouldn’t allow it.

“I’m afraid,” he continued. “All the time. And I worry. Bout the kids, Hank, ‘Ro, the baby. Sometimes it’s so much, I can’t stand it.”

Chuck was quiet, so Logan went on.

“I keep thinking that if I walked away, it’d be easier. Then I get to thinkin’ about what would happen to me. I think I’d die if I lost them, all of them. That’s a weird thought, Chuck. I shouldn’t need anybody. I’m the motherfuckin’ Wolverine, ain’t I?”

His friend made a soft noise of agreement. “But?”

“But…goddamnit. I love them. I love this house, this school. This fuckin’ dream of yours might be the first thing I’ve ever believed in. That makes it worth it. ‘Ro and the baby, they’re in my heart, in my soul. I keep looking around wonderin’ how this happened. I gave myself to this place, to her, and I can’t take it back.”

“Would you?” Charles asked quietly. “If you had the choice?”

Logan paused, thinking about it. Ororo he would never give back. That was a gift nobody in their right mind would want to return. But the kids? The school?

He thought back over the last two weeks. Artie’d almost blown up the Chem. Lab, Jubilee twisted an ankle playing flag football, and three got into a “My powers beat your powers” argument that left scorch marks all over the living room and set fire to a fichus.

Every incident was remembered with a smile. It was oddly contenting to see children acting a fool, to run herd on the lot of them without losing his mind. He enjoyed talking with Hank, sparring with Tin-Man.

This place was home, in every sense of the word.

“Not in a million years.”

Charles grinned. “For that I am eternally grateful.”

“You passin’ me that torch of yours?”

“No,” Charles shook his bald head slightly. “I passed it to Ororo, whom handed a piece to you. You’ve created your own torch.”

Logan digested that for a moment.

Charles turned sharply, alarm coming over his face as he took Logan’s arm.

“You are being watched,” he hissed softly. “Someone has eyes inside. Destroy them.”

Shocked that he could feel Charles’ hand warm on his bare arm, he tried to understand the words. But Charles had that vacant look to his eyes, as if his powerful mind were touching something too far away.

“He’s watching you, Logan. Watching and waiting. He’ll strike. He’ll strike at her.”

Logan woke up.

With a startled yelp, he fell off of the sofa and popped up on his feet. Snikt! Six lethal blades erupted from his hands as he tried to catch his bearings.

Wayne was on the television, the final scene rolling out to swelling music. But Charles’ warning echoed in Logan’s mind.

He’d fallen asleep. It was just a dream, like the wraith had told him. So why couldn’t he retract? Why was every hair on his body standing firmly at attention?

Sensitive ears honed in, searching for any sound out of place. He caught the sound of gears, followed it to the far wall. Peering at a picture he couldn’t remember from his first months among the X-Men, he yanked it off of the wall.

Three thin wires fed into the frame from the drywall. Snarling, Logan jammed his claws through the image of a rolling Irish hillside. He tore the wood and canvas apart, finding the tiny camera lens affixed to the upper corner.

“Son of a btich!”

He grasped the delicate technology, bringing it up to his face. He hoped whomever had planted the bug was watched as an adamantium claw came up and deftly sliced it in two. Someone was watching them. Who? Why?

He’ll strike. He’ll strike at her.

“’Ro.”
Chapter Eighteen: Vanished by Gaineewop


Chapter Eighteen: Vanished

Prison gates won’t open up for me
On these hands and knees I’m crawlin’
Oh, I reach for you
Well I’m terrified of these four walls
These iron bars can’t hold my soul in
All I need is you
Come please I’m callin’
And oh I scream for you
Hurry I’m fallin’
~Nickelback



The baby was shifting inside of her, rolling and pushing until she smiled. Her hand splayed over the cloth-covered swell. Child sensed mother, pressing at her palm with an easy insistence. Ororo closed her eyes, envisioning her tiny baby floating content and warm within the haven of her body.

Tears threatened for the third time that day, blackening the skies. She controlled it, barely, but not before her Bostonian guard poked his head inside. He questioned her with a glance as she turned toward the sound of the heavy door creaking open. Her small smile was taken with a nod and he left her alone again.

She wanted Logan. No matter how brave she needed to be and how much she wanted to remain aloof and above it all, her stubborn heart wept for its mate. Everything felt so strange without him by her side. She knew he was with her, in spirit at least, but the loss of his presence created an almost debilitating loneliness inside her.

Looking out the north-facing window, she stared into the thick tree line. Her hands left the generous swell of her abdomen to flatten against the plexi-glass. She wanted to shatter this flimsy plastic, to rush into the forest. Logan was waiting for her somewhere, wanting her back as surely and deeply as she needed to be in his arms.

Her soul called for him, screamed into the dying light as though she were taking her final breaths. Had she been born a telepath, her screams might have driven him to madness. Instead, stony silence allowed the unanswered call to echo.

A disturbance outside of her cell whipped the white-haired mutant around. Ororo, poised beside her bed as though to defend herself, listened to the startled shout of guards and muffled curses coming from somewhere down the hall.

“Lucky?” She called to the guard. “What is it?”

“Dunno,” he answered. The click of his rifle sent a ripple of fear through her. “Stay back, doll.”

Heeding his urgings, she darted across her cell, toward the standing toilet and stainless steel sink. It was the most protected space inside the room, sheltered just slightly from the wide door. If nothing else, it would by her time to gather her mutation.

“Let me in, you fuckin’ bastards!”

Ororo felt a punch to her gut and the breath was stolen from her lungs. “L-Logan!”

‘’Ro?!”

“Here!”

She raced for the door, shouting at Lucky to open it. The Bostonian guard appeared startled, watching as another door in the long corridor swung open. Ororo heard Goldstein order her cell opened. Running footsteps, almost achingly familiar, echoed in resounding concussions as she stepped back.

The door opened. Before she even caught sight of the person that flew through the open entryway, she was enveloped in strong arms. Almost collapsing against him, Ororo threw her arms around Logan, clinging to him as though her life depended on it. All pretense of bravery fell away, clouds rolling in the heavens to reflect her turbulent emotions.

Her belly had grown considerably in the three weeks following her arrest, but that did not inhibit Logan from crushing her to his chest. She could not see his face, not that she needed to. His scent and feel were more intimate to her than any other on the planet.

“God damn, I’ve missed ya.” He whispered in a choked voice.

Whiskered lips brushed her hair, her cheek, but the grip of his arms did not loosen one iota. Ororo thrust her hands into his hair, fingers wrapping with expert familiarity through the coarse raven locks.

“We’re all right,” she replied softly. “We’re all right.”

Slowly, as though they both feared the other would vanish, their grips relaxed until they could pull away. Ororo’s tear-filled eyes danced over the features of his handsome face. He looked weary, dark eyes reflecting pain and relief. She gifted him with a small smile, her fingertips caressing his smooth bottom lip.

His eyes drifted closed, as though her touch were the most exquisite of pleasures. When they opened again, she clearly saw tears standing in the ebony pools. Touched, pained, terrified, Ororo wrapped him back into her arms.

He embraced her with the gusto of a sailor six months at sea. They pulled back more quickly this time. Before she could catch her breath, he stole it away. Lips warm on hers, emotion clearly written in every gesture, she whimpered somewhat helplessly under the assault. Her nails scraped over the nape of his neck, even as he pulled away to stare at her again.

“You ok?” He demanded breathlessly. “Really ok?”

Ororo, her heart lighter than it had been in weeks, nodded eagerly. “They’re good to me here, I swear.”

“She’s a killer Spades partner,” Lucky offered from the doorway. “Miz Munroe, you’ve got a while, ok? Gonna close the door.”

“Thanks, Lucky.” She thanked him without turning, her eyes for Logan only.

Once the door clanged closed, Logan sighed heavily. “Spades?”

“I have to pass the time somehow,” she chuckled softly. Her eyes stubbornly refused to leave his face, taking in every feature and expression. “What on earth are you doing here?”

“Hank,” he grunted. “You need a baby check up and I told him if he didn’t get me in here, I’d start killin’ people.”

Ororo grinned, her heart thudding helplessly against her breast. Logan’s hand left her face, reaching down to touch the bulge beneath her shirt. When he managed to tear his eyes away, they widened at the size of their restless child.

“Wow,” he choked again. “He’s getting big.”

“I know,” she answered, heart broken to realize how much he was missing. “We miss you.”

He smiled softly, taking her back into his embrace with his free arm. The baby kicked viciously against his or her father’s hand, making Logan choke on the emotions. She heard him sniffle and felt tears slip down her cheeks.

When they first met in the Professor’s office so long ago, she never would have thought the Wolverine capable of such emotion. But she knew him now, deeply, intimately as only a mate could. His love for her, for the family they created, was as consuming to this brash man as any rage.

She led him to the small cot that was her bed, settling him on the edge of it so she could lower herself beside him. Demanding that he tell her of the school, she set him at ease quickly, wanting to simply bask in his presence.

He had heard her call, she thought as he told her the antics of their students. He answered her, even if he hadn’t known it. Her heart swelled inside of her, love for him almost a living entity. When all of this was over, she was going to marry this man. That was the end of it.

Their visit lasted the better part of an hour before Henry joined them. Having been filled in on the state of her dear friend’s relationship with Trish, she refrained from asking about it as he unpacked his medical case.

Lying back against the cot, Ororo held Logan’s hand, looking up at him with a smile. The portable ultrasound machine whirled to life after Hank squirted cold gel onto her bare stomach. The trio watched a small monitor curiously, Ororo brought to hormonal tears again at the sight of her developing child.

“Well, kids,” Hank said jovially. “You have a healthy son.”

Ororo startled. “A boy? Are you certain?”

Her blue friend grinned, canines flashing. “As sure as anyone could be about such things. See there?”

He pointed to a small, gray blur on the screen. Ororo rolled her eyes as Logan’s eyebrow hitched up, obvious pride written clearly on his face.

“Atta boy,” he congratulated himself.

“Men,” Ororo teased, staring at the rapidly beating heart of the child. “Everything is normal?”

“Perfect, not that I expect any less,” Henry nodded as he switched the machine off. “Your weight is on the lighter side, but not cause for concern. Uterine growth is as it should be, and judging from the ultrasound, your son is in excellent health.”

Ororo exhaled sharply, looking back up at Logan. He leaned forward, kissing her forehead gently.

“A boy.”

“Yeah.”

~**~

They stood side by side, watching the unconscious mutant as she slept peacefully unaware on the medical bed. Monitors were hooked up to her bulging belly as they strapped her arms to the table.

The examinations would not take too long. They would gauge her power, classify her, then continue the testing on the child she carried. Rarely had anyone had the chance to study so powerful a mutant. Certainly no one had ever studied one with child.

How did pregnancy affect her power? Was she muted or diminished? Did the fetus increase her abilities?

It would be a most interesting take on the way mutants operated. Stryker grinned at her, wanting to touch that sleeping face. She was going to break open the barriers of biological science. The child she carried could be everything he worked for.

The two of them would bring back his Wolverine.

He glanced to the dark man beside him, slipping a hand into his pocket. Things were moving forward now, his carefully laid plans executing with hardly a hiccup.

Trask was staring with open hatred, loathing oozing from him directed at the woman innocently lying on the medical bed. Eyes flickered over the personnel hooking her up to the equipment, as though detesting the fact that they were anywhere near her.

Stryker fingered the pistol he always carried, glancing around the corridor quickly. Trask’s men had been taken out early on, leaving him with the loyal.

“So we’re clear,” Trask spoke suddenly. “You extract the fetus and then turn her over to me.”

“Yes,” Stryker lied easily. “That is the plan.”

“When will you take the fetus?” Trask demanded.

“When it is viable outside the womb,” he answered. “The child means nothing dead.”

Trask grunted, crossing his arms over his chest. “The woman is not to be harmed.”

“Of course.”

Stryker pulled the pistol from his pocket with no change of expression. In one fluid movement, he raised the weapon, placed it against Trask’s temple, and squeezed the trigger.

His eyes were still on Storm’s beautiful face as brain matter sprayed all over the polished tile. The others in the hall paused at the echoing gunshot, but went quickly back to their work before the body had even hit the floor.

Sighing, Stryker placed the weapon back into his pocket. He addressed several of his men standing behind him.

“Pick that up. Dump it somewhere.”

The men scrambled to do his bidding as he pushed open the door to the medical examination room. It was time to meet his new best friend.

~**~

Piotr watched his fiancée sleep, concern written clearly over his usually stoic face. He glanced at the clock again, then back to her face. She was crashed against the pillow, hair a mess and mouth open so she could snore loudly.

She’d been asleep this way for twelve hours. Not even loud noises or jostling was successful in waking her. Concerned, but without any way to ask for help in the matter, he frowned and stared.

Kitty’s snoring turned into a gurgle as she changed positions, but she continued right on sleeping. Colossus had read in their baby book that pregnancy could make the expectant mother tired…this seemed excessive. It seemed in the last few weeks that all Kitty did was sleep or vomit.

And yell at him.

He was still staring at her, the book open in his lap, when Wolverine came into the room.

“Hey,” he greeted, poking his head through the cracked door. “Seen Kitten?”

Piotr tried to shove the book under the bedspread while nodding, but something in the shift of Logan’s body said that he’d caught the gesture. Piotr cleared his throat, indicating to the woman completely knocked out on his bed.

“She’s sleeping.”

“Huh,” Wolverine grunted, shoving the door open further without invitation.

His head cocked to the side, as though he were listening to something. Piotr stood slowly, cautiously so as not to startle the suddenly over alert feral. Two sets of dark eyes met across the dim expanse of the bedroom, a million things flooding each mind in an instant.

“Been sleepin’ a lot lately.”

Logan turned and closed the bedroom door. Piotr swallowed thickly, glancing where Kitty still slept, innocently unaware of what was happening over her prone form. When Wolverine took a step closer, Piotr instinctively shifted to stand between him and his pregnant love. It was a predator’s move, something so innately primal that he was somehow certain Logan appreciated it.

“When were ya plannin’ on tellin’ me?”

There it was. No pretenses, no wiggle room. Logan looked the issue directly in the face and laid it all out with one sentence. Even if Piotr had wanted to lie, to avoid talking about it all, there was no way aside from sending his friend out on his backside.

He glanced back at the expectant young mother again, this time letting his shoulders slump slightly. Though he had hoped she would be awake, she was still asleep, her changing body demanding that she stay just as she had been for the last several hours.

“I don’t know,” he answered honestly.

“She seen a doctor?” Logan asked quietly.

“Yes,” Piotr nodded. “Everything seems fine.”

Logan sighed, reaching behind him to grab the desk chair. He sat heavily, rubbing a hand over his face. There was something changed in Wolverine, Piotr thought. Paternal, burdened with worries for family instead of the unanswered questions of his past, this was a man with a home now. No more the renegade without responsibility.

Piotr sat on the edge of the bed, clasping his hands between his knees. The two men regarded one another across the few meters separating them, each gauging and calculating. Logan finally sighed again, leaning down to rest his elbows on his knees.

“When’s she due?”

“Late autumn,” Piotr answered uncomfortably. “Logan…”

“Save it, kid,” he cut in.

“I understand your anger, your disappointment, but…”

“Whoa,” Logan held a hand up. “I’m not angry or disappointed about you two havin’ a baby. Don’t think that.”

Piotr exhaled sharply. Until that very moment, he had not realized how much he feared Logan or Storm would reject their child. He never wanted to disappoint them, but he loved the child within his beloved Katya and would suffer no one making her feel guilty for carrying it.

“I’m disappointed you two didn’t come to me, or to Hank about it.” The elder mutant continued.

“We wanted to be sure,” Piotr said softly. “And with Storm’s arrest…”

“I get it,” Logan cut in again. “Lets just concentrate on the here and now, ok?”

Piotr nodded.

A shift on the bed brought both men’s attention to it. Kitty was sitting up, her mussed hair and sleep-plumped lips oddly endearing as she rubbed at tired eyes. She was staring at both men with a mixture of tenderness and slight embarrassment.

Logan shrugged one shoulder at her, giving the young mutant girl a soft smile. She returned the gesture before scooting down to the edge of the bed. In her short boxers and t-shirt, she was unashamed as she climbed into Piotr’s lap.

“Everything ok, Uncle Logan?”

His grin widened at the endearment. Piotr mused that he had somewhat of a soft spot for Kitty and had since she ripped him apart that day in the kitchen. She loved to remind Piotr of that night, when she had so easily stood up to the Wolverine and come out on top for her efforts.

The three of them were silent for some time, lost in their own thoughts. Piotr knew that their mentor was thinking of Storm, locked away in a cell with their unborn child. He didn’t know how Logan managed to keep it together. If someone took Katya from him, he was likely to lose his mind within seconds.

But here he was, patient and paternal and ready to dispense advice.

“You’re grounded, Kitten,” he said gently. “No more missions and light training only. Got it?”

She nodded without a fight. “Understood, Bossman.”

“I’ll talk with Hank bout getting you a bigger room,” he continued, scratching at his whiskered cheek. “You’re plannin’ on stayin’ with us, right?”

Piotr and Kitty nodded eagerly. They had both feared being removed from the team, but it seemed that fear was unwarranted.

“You two happy about this?” Logan asked them, looking from one to the other. “I mean seriously happy?”

Kitty grinned, leaving Piotr’s lap and moving to their friend. She hugged him tightly and Piotr caught Logan inhaling deeply. His friend had admitted that the scent of a pregnant woman brought about paternal instinct and calmed him at the same time. It was a reassurance, he thought, that the pack was thriving.

He wondered what Logan would say to that particular observation.

“We’re thrilled,” Kitty whispered to Logan. “Really thrilled.”

“Good.”

~**~


Henry entered the foyer from the kitchen, smiling a greeting at the tall Cheyenne standing beside Wolverine.

“Forge,” he said in a booming voice. “You’re looking well.”

Logan, standing with his arms crossed over his chest, indicated to the man before speaking.

“He just finished the extermination.”

“Ah,” Hank answered, shaking his friend’s hand.

“I think we found them all,” Forge answered with a quick glance around. “Over two thousand. State of the art.”

“Two thousand?” Hank blinked in surprise. “Someone was watching us quite closely.”

“Quite an understatement,” Forge chuckled.

The technologically advanced mutant had been called weeks ago. Logan had come into Henry’s room at two in the morning, raving about being watched. Even through his sleep-clouded mind, Henry had known something profound had happened to his friend, but thought it best to not push the issue.

Come morning, he had immediately put in a call to the X-Men’s inventive former staff member. Though Forge had been trained as an X-Man and even fought with them for several years, he was offered a position with the government. Knowing the opportunity was his best bet for aiding the school, he had taken it gladly.

Many of the advanced technologies in the mansion were thanks to this young inventor. With his uncanny ability to invent anything he could think of, had created the Danger Room, the protective leather uniforms and intricate security systems.

Even the cloaking devices on the Blackbird were compliments of their friend.

“I still don’t know how these bastards got in here.”

Forge shrugged his human shoulder. “I’m not sure. Some of the bugs were easily placed, just tacked onto chairs or picture frames. Others…”

“Like the one’s in the baby’s furniture?” Logan met Hank’s eyes. “Found three in the crib.”

Startled, Henry frowned, worried that someone could have come that close to the infant, had he been born. “Unnerving.”

“I suggest another sweep in a few days. If someone is getting inside undetected, they might make a play to replace some of these.”

“Sounds good. Thanks, man,” Logan extended his hand, shaking Forge’s bionic limb in a friendly fashion.

Once Forge was gone, Hank turned to Logan.

“The baby’s furniture?”

“Trust me, I about lost my fuckin’ mind over that already.” Logan shook his head, turning toward the hall and moving at a steady pace. “Someone watchin’ that close has to know about Kitten.”

Henry felt the fear kick at him again, licking at the compounded worries he desperately tried to keep a tight lid on. “We will keep her on the grounds at all times.”

Logan nodded. “She’s scared. She moved against Trask first. Guess she ain’t stupid enough to think he’ll let that go yet.”

“She could be correct, as much as that worries me.”

The two men entered the main office, which was left tidy in the wake of Marie’s workday. She had been pushed out of the house for the evening by an insistant Angel. Henry smiled to himself at the thought, wondering just how deeply those two were going to fall. It was pleasant to see young mutants acting as any others their age.

Sitting on the wide leather sofa, Hank contemplated putting in a call to the security team that had worked for him during his time with the United Nations. George had said, on no uncertain terms, that if the former-ambassador ever needed some extra protection, he was to call on them.

Perhaps fitting the mansion with a detail would help. No, he dismissed the idea. Though he trusted George, such a rotating detail was too easily infiltrated.

“You catch Trish’s report last night?”

His world came crashing down in an instant.

Trying to tuck away the pain and lonesomeness before Logan caught on, Hank cleared his throat. Of course he had seen her report. He watched every moment of her he could, lost in regret and self-pity. He wanted her back, missed her more than he thought his heart could take.

“Yes.”

The answer was calculated to be short, almost terse. Logan arched a brow, but pressed on anyway.

“You talk to her?”

“No.”

“Ok.”

They lapsed back into silence, each consumed with their own thoughts. Logan was careful, Hank mused, to never press. He opened the subject and offered an ear, but never went further. It was as though he wanted to ensure someone could back out, keep things close to the vest while knowing he was there to talk to.

Such a thing was precious and though Henry longed to spill his proverbial guts, he felt the compulsion to keep his mouth shut.

“Lets go whoop the Brotherhood in the Danger Room,” Logan offered, hopping to his feet.

Hank stood as well, his smile nearly feral.

“An excellent suggestion, my friend.”

~**~


Across hundreds of miles, Patricia Tilby stared out of the window of her high rise apartment. Lights from the city below entranced her, drawing her from thoughts of work into the low hum of meditation.

Her glass of wine sat untouched on the kitchen table along with the meal she’d prepared for herself. Her work clothes were replaced by soft cotton pajama pants and a matching tank. Mindful of the chill she always kept her apartment cloaked in, she’d thrown on her thin robe over the simple clothing.

Through the open material, she idly touched the bumpy scar beneath her breasts over the cotton of her tank. Her thumb traced the line of it, knowing the spot intimately. It no longer ached with pain, but there was a numb throb to it with every beat of her heart.

Looking out into the darkness, she let the oppressive weight of silence press in all around her. The music she usually played while alone in her home was absent, leaving her to the quiet. Trish was never one for the silence, preferring noise at any given time. There was something about noise that soothed her.

Perhaps it was the byproduct of being an only child in a cold home. Her parents had ever been concerned with parties and image. Mamma was too distracted by work to pay attention to the daughter she birthed. Having Trish was just another check on one of her endless lists. College, check. Marriage, check. Baby, check.

Trish never wanted that for her children, if she ever managed to have any. She wanted noise and messes and hugs. There should be the screaming of fighting siblings, the wail of a television blaring some sort of cartoon program. Yelling, arguing, family. Cold and quiet were memories from a painful past.

Her mother had called just hours ago. One or twice a year, she received the token phone call from the parents that used her position and success as bragging rights at the parties they still attended.

When she made the decision to attend college in lieu of marrying some pretty son of her father’s friend, Trish knew her life had to change. She nearly severed all ties with her parents, wanting to reinvent herself somewhere far from them. NYU was perfect. Noisy, crowded, and filled with interesting people.

Meeting Hank had changed her life. She wanted nothing more than to entertain him, to bring him out of that shell. She’d succeeded, much to her pleasure. He helped build her career, steering her away from the family that wanted to shove her into a nicely labeled box.

Her eyes closed, letting the single tear slide down her cheeks.

Work was empty now. No one was waiting for her call, to celebrate no matter how many miles separated them. There was talk of awards, offers for news magazines. This story was fast tracking her career in a big bad way.

So why was she miserable?

Lew’s dinner invitations were continually passed over as rain checks. Trish ensconced herself in the stillness; hating it at the same time she embraced it.

The phone rang, shrilly breaking the suffocating quiet.

“Tilby,” she answered on the first ring.

“Hey, it’s me,” Lew said shortly. “You busy, sugar?”

“Not at all,” Trish said with a silent sigh. “What’s up, handsome?”

“Better get down to the station,” he said carefully. “Trish, Ororo Munroe was just taken from her prison cell.”

The world stopped. “What?” She demanded, switching from bitter melancholy to journalist in seconds. “What happened?”

“We’re not sure, but two guards wound up dead. Get down here, sugar.”

Trish slammed the phone down onto the receiver and picked it back up without thinking. She dialed the number by heart, tapping her fingers impatiently on the table while the ringing seemed to go on forever.

At the sleepy greeting, she inhaled deeply. “Blue, it’s me. Something’s happened.”

“Trish?” Henry’s slumber-ridden voice was thick and adorable. She pushed it aside, keeping her emotions locked up so that the reporter could function.

“Wake up, Hank,” she demanded harshly. “We’ve got a huge problem.”
Chapter Nineteen: Stryker by Gaineewop


Chapter Nineteen: Stryker

I feel betrayed
Stuck in your ways
And you rip me apart with the
Brutal things you say
I can't deal with this shit anymore
I just look away
~Staind



While Henry McCoy was awoken by the call from his frantic ex-lover, Logan was stepping out of a scalding shower. The day had been a busy one, though his visit with Ororo had soothed parts of his fractured soul.

She was being cared for, he thought while toweling his mussed hair. Her plump body showed signs of being generously fed, her smile and the loyalty of the guards boasted that her charm had won them over. The one, Lucky, was almost as dedicated to his prisoner as the X-Men were.

Something about seeing her, being able to visualize where she was being held now was calming. He could see her in his mind’s eye, those delicate hands easing over the swell of their child growing inside of her. Her smile had warmed his heart, easing back the tension that seemed all too common as the days turned to weeks.

At least he knew now that she was all right. She was restless and worried, but not in any danger as of yet. Logan breathed a sigh of relief at that, knowing what it was costing the two of them to be apart. Just the vague memory of being in her arms again wrenched his heart.

Setting his thoughts aside for a moment, Logan hung his towel in the bathroom, mindful that wet towels on the floor often sent his absent love into a tirade the likes of which the world had never seen. Once everything was in order, he plodded in all his natural glory to the dresser. A pair of sweatpants was yanked over hairy legs before he stretched his arms over his head. Tomorrow would be busy, what with the seniors presenting their science projects. Oh. Joy.

The sensation that he was being watched prickled Logan’s awareness. He could tell that someone was over by the balcony windows. Fearing “ or perhaps hoping “ that it was Chuck paying him another visit, the Wolverine turned ever so slowly.

He caught a whiff of disgustingly familiar scent and the hint of scarred flesh a beat before he turned completely. Lethal adamantium erupted from his hands even as Logan’s stance shifted. He stood on the balls of his feet and pounced without even a hint that he knew someone was there.

On a savage roar, Logan grasped his hated enemy by the shirt and thrust him against the balcony door. The glass planes shattered as the door banged against the outer wall. Logan’s free fist came up to eyelevel, unsheathed weapons held only a breath from flesh. He wanted, so desperately, to shove the deadly blades through the man’s skull, but held his control in check by the fingertips.

“Its good to see you, too, son.”

The snarl began in Wolverine’s chest, slithering upward until it left his lips.

“Give me one reason to not kill you.”

Stryker’s face was horrifically scarred. Half of what had been his head was covered with red gashes in the form of what looked like a thick chain. His left arm was mangled, tissue and flesh melding into one long scar that was painful to even look at. But his eyes, that chilling blue, were rimmed with madness.

Logan took in everything with a predator’s glance. His hands itched to steal the life from his foe, to spill blood in an ancient, primal call. The siren song of murder had not sung in his veins for many years, but now that yearning returned in full force. Copper tickled the back of his throat, reminding him of the sweet taste of blood.

“I have your mate, Wolverine.”

His world came to a screeching halt, the beast within silenced as the man took control again. Logan shackled his inner demons, though the force it took was staggering. His hand, the lethal claws exposed, trembled with fear and rage.

“What?”

Stryker’s smile was utterly sadistic and unbearably horrendous. Yellow teeth were revealed in the vicious twist of lips, those deadly eyes reflecting delight as Logan struggled to maintain control.

It was then that the anonymous phone call Hank had told him about made complete sense. His enemy was not dead and they had struck at his woman. His child.

“Why?” He growled, tightening his grip on Stryker’s shirt. “Why her?”

Stryker’s smile widened. Logan felt his control slipping and desperately tightened the reigns. Losing it now wouldn’t help anyone, least of all his Ororo. Instead, he jerked his hand back before thrusting Stryker into the splintered door with force.

Someone was pounding on the outer door of his bedroom. Hank was calling his name. Lights were flicking on as the mansion was roused to life. And yet, Stryker looked unconcerned.

“What makes you think I was after her?” His enemy clucked his tongue reproachfully. “Your wits have been dulled as she tamed you.”

“What makes ya think I’m tame?” The snarl was bitter, filled with the beast inside. Logan was rewarded with the flicker of uncertainty in Stryker’s eyes.

“I have a deal for you, Wolverine.” The pounding on the door increased. Sensitive ears could hear the thunder of footsteps outside.

“Talk fast.”

Stryker swallowed. Logan snarled.

“I will return Storm to this mansion and clear her name of all charges, if you come home.”

Logan’s response was immediate. “I am home.”

“Oh, my Wolverine,” he shook his head disapprovingly again. “She has confused you. You belong with me. You’re a murderer, Wolverine. A born and bred killer. What made you think you could be a husband? A father?”

The amusement in Stryker’s voice brought back Logan’s own feelings of inadequacy. The fear of what he was, what he would become was debilitating. He had struggled so hard to put it all away, to trust faith and fate to lead him in the right direction.

He’d fallen for Ororo with his eyes wide open, but still wondered in the bitter vaults of his broken mind if he truly deserved his happiness, his home. She would skin him alive if she could hear these destructive thoughts, and yet he was powerless to stop them.

“Where is she?”

Stryker’s sickening grin spread further over his scarred face. “Do we have a deal?”

“I don’t fucking think so.”

The third voice was shocking to both men. Logan whirled, losing his grip on Stryker’s chest. Kitty Pryde stood, hands on her hips, glaring at Stryker for all she was worth. Logan knew what would happen, he saw it in his mind’s eye as though it were a flash of premonition.

Kitty, her own child snuggled inside of her, was battle ready. But Stryker knew. The paternal instincts Logan had doubted only seconds before kicked into high gear. Before the pistol leapt into Stryker’s hand, a beat ahead of Kitten’s teasing phase, Logan stepped between them.

He pushed the pregnant woman behind him, protecting her with his body as much as he prevented her from striking their enemy.

“Go.” Logan growled the order to Stryker, his stance now shivering as he fought for control.

Amused by the situation, Stryker stepped out onto the balcony. Kitty made an angry noise that reminded her protector of a cat, but he grasped her arm to hold her back. As much as he hated to admit it, if Stryker had Ororo, he was in charge. Logan was determined to change that as soon as possible.

Stryker was whisked away by a helicopter that appeared as though out of thin air. Logan watched with bestial eyes as he left the mansion, dread curling around his heart like a serpent’s coils.

~**~

She had the sensation of floating, of natural comfort within. There was warmth and love and a primal instinct that told her all was well. Even as she struggled to shrug off the remnants of sleep, she was hazy and content.

Nothing seemed insurmountable. There was calm here, something she felt eluded her for the whole of her life.

The light was dim when Ororo blinked heavy eyelids. Her eyes were gritty with too much sleep, her body heavy and lax on the bed. The little one inside shifted, rolling contently as she focused blurry vision. Something should have alarmed her, but that sated, comfortable sleep shook off all instinctual fear.

Ororo reached up to touch her belly, a silent, private greeting between mother and child. It was then that she woke completely, startling so violently, she gasped with it.

Her hands were bound.

Mindful that she could hurt her child in panic, Ororo glanced around the unfamiliar room, wondering what had happened. Of course, her hazy, happy sleep made sense now. She’d been drugged to the gills. Who would have bound her to the bed? Why was she restrained?

Thinking quickly, Ororo remembered Logan and Henry leaving her cell. She had dinner, played a round of Spades with the night watch and tucked herself into bed. Nothing seemed out of place or unusual in any way. There was nothing to fear, nothing to cause much fret.

Ororo looked cautiously around the low-lit room, wondering suddenly where she had been moved. Medical equipment beeped placidly, the monitor on her forefinger giving accurate readings of her blood pressure and pulse. There were, to her horror, sticky monitors on her bare stomach, obviously measuring the vitals of her unborn son.

She blinked at the stainless steel tray beside her bed, peering over the gentle lip to find various instruments set out in obsessive order. The scalpel made her swallow over the lump suddenly forming in her throat. What in the name of the Bright Lady were they going to do to her?

“Good afternoon.”

The voice, unfamiliar and tinged with false cheer, brought her dark eyes to the foot of her bed. Ororo exhaled slowly as the monitors gave away the fact that her heart rate had just jumped drastically.

“Stryker.”

“You remember me.” He sounded pleased by this. His scarred and reddened flesh brought a wave of nausea to the pregnant mutant, but she refused to let her fear creep into her facial features.

“How could I forget?”

Stryker clasped his hands behind his back, pacing around her bed slowly. Ororo watched him with guarded eyes over the generous swell of her belly. Whatever he wanted, she was at his mercy. She would gladly return to prison and the unknown dangers coming with her trial than be locked in with this sadistic bastard.

What could want? She was of no use to him, to his failed Weapon X program. For all she knew, he had only ever been interested in creating weapons from mutants, before destroying them all. Logan was the obvious choice for kidnapping. Why would he want…

The baby.

Perhaps this realization reflected on Ororo’s face, for Stryker’s oily grin widened quite suddenly. He stretched his mangled hand forward, making her skin crawl in revulsion as he placed the scarred palm on her naked stomach.

“It really is a miracle isn’t it? Two people fashion new life, create an entirely new person.” He stroked her distended flesh almost lovingly. “I have ever tried to play God to this miracle. You see, I create life as well.”

“You destroy,” Ororo hissed before she could stop herself. The baby lying docilely inside rolled unpleasantly. “You tear down before you create. That is an abomination.”

“Are you any better?” Stryker’s slimy voice was suddenly coated in revulsion. “You people, mutants are no different. A corruption of all that is sacred.”

Ororo tilted her chin higher, trying to cover her fear with defiance. “Perhaps, but I don’t kill innocent people.”

“But your mate has,” Stryker replied slyly. “He killed without caution or regret. Or has he not told you of this?”

“How could he?” Ororo fired back, ire rising with every word he spoke. “You took his memories and life away.”

“Ah, yes.” Her captor seemed proud of this. “I destroyed the man to create the monster. My greatest work, my highest triumph.”

Ororo snorted with derision. “He is mine now. Everything you corrupted has been set right.”

“Has it?” Stryker asked with hints of amusement.

“Oh, yes,” Storm grinned wickedly. “My hard work has paid off. He is a different man now.”

Stryker removed his hand from her flesh; though the lingering warmth of his touch made her suddenly want to bathe in acid. He moved around to the head of the bed, Ororo’s eyes following his every movement. She watched as he checked several of the monitors, marking this and that on a clipboard that hung on a peg to the side of her bed.

There was a heavy silence between them now. Ororo wondered all through it. What had happened at her prison? Were the guards all right? Had they been in on this kidnapping? Where was Trask?

She tugged at the soft cloth holding her hands to the bed. They were strong enough to hold her back, unable to lift her hand more than a fraction of an inch from the bed sheets. Everything in the room, to her dismay, was coated in metal. Should she call upon her powers, force lightning to rend Stryker apart, there was a high chance that the conduction would backfire.

Though she was immune to the effects of lightning, she was unsure if her child would survive such a massive jolt. Her body continually conducted electricity in low voltages. Could her baby life through a concentrated bolt or would it spell the end for the life she cherished inside her?

Perhaps Stryker knew her fears, her doubts, for he seemed oddly unconcerned that a cornered and fearful mutant was lying prone on the bed. He was unguarded and unarmed as far as she could tell. His confidence spoke volumes. He knew much about her.

When he came back to her side, obviously satisfied by whatever he had read on the monitors, he paused at the tray of medical instruments. Fear licked to life inside of her, causing the tiny life snuggled inside of her to roll again. The baby pressed against the sides of her belly, though in fear or comfort, she was unsure.

Stryker took a long, thin needle from the tray, checking it carefully after pulling on a pair of sterile gloves. The body of the needle was a thick plastic, obviously made to capture some kind of fluid. Ororo’s eyes widened as he took a sterile cloth soaked in iodine and swabbed her belly with it.

He was whistling softly as he worked.

“What are you doing?” She demanded hotly, tugging on her bonds.

“Taking samples,” he answered, placing the iodine cloth to the side. “Try not to move.”

“No,” Ororo whimpered, struggling more forcefully. “Stop.”

Stryker simply continued whistling, the cheerful tune like something out of a horror film. He was going to put that needle into her belly…what of her child?

“Stryker…no. Stop!” She commanded as the cloth of her bonds cut into her wrists and ankles. “You can’t do this! You don’t know what you’re doing!”

He merely smiled, pressing into her belly as though trying to locate the unborn baby. “If you struggle, I may hit the child or cause early labor. Neither of us wants that.”

“You can’t have him!” She screamed, still pulling at her bonds. “He’s mine, damn it!”

Stryker chuckled, shaking his head. “No, my dear Storm, they are both MINE!”

She thrashed against the bed, succeeding in throwing the sheet covering her legs to the floor. Stryker sighed, placing the needle down and grasping another. He took her arm, jamming the thin spike into her arm. To her horror, Ororo felt herself weaken almost immediately as every beat of her heart pushed the tranquilizer further through her body.

Hazy, terrified, she blinked her eyes several times as her body stilled. He took up the larger needle again, stepping to her distended middle and continuing to whistle nonchalantly.

Ororo slammed her eyes closed, knowing she could no longer resist and spoke in a hateful whisper. “You’re the devil.”

His answer was tinged with unholy pleasure. “I know.”

She felt the prick of a needle in her belly and silently screamed for her Wolverine.

~**~


Kitty was shaking. The tremble had begun when she phased through Logan’s bedroom door to find Stryker baiting Logan, trying to get him to deal. She caught up to what was going on in seconds.

Trish had come barreling into the mansion, screaming about Ororo being kidnapped. Guards were dead, prison almost leveled. Fear had kicked to life inside of the young mutant before she could breathe and she’d bolted for the bedroom Logan and Ororo shared.

The commotion on the other side of that door only made her more terrified, but in a few short seconds, she understood what was happening here. Stryker had Storm and the baby. He wanted Wolverine back and was using the woman he loved and their unborn son as bait.

She’d never in her life wanted to kill someone as much as she had in that moment.

It was dawn now, the elder mutants had gathered in the kitchen, trying to understand all that had transpired in the night. Their leader was now out of their reach, in impossible danger. Stryker was alive, but that news seemed diminished by worry for their friend.

Logan, she could see, was coming apart at the seams. It wasn’t hard to guess that he blamed himself for not protecting his family. Kitty watched him across the expanse of the kitchen table, noting the haunted look in his eyes and the light shake to his hands. He wanted to be gone, to be doing something to get Ororo back.

Only Hank held him up, berating him, telling him that all of Storm’s sacrifices for him would be in vain if he took off without any sort of plan. They were X-Men, he’d shouted in uncharacteristic rage, and X-Men looked after their own.

Trish had gone to rally the public troops, so to speak. She was covering the breakout before another could suggest that Storm had done it herself. Guards were on Storm’s side, relaying that she was taken from her bed as she tried to hide behind the guards she depended on. One of them, the one Logan said was friendly to her, had died in the effort. His name was Lucky and for some reason, Kitty found that enormously sad.

She glanced to her fiancé, wondering how they would all survive this. If she hadn’t been so damn stupid to poke a sleeping dragon, they wouldn’t be in this mess. She would never forgive herself for putting them all in such danger.

Hank was on the phone, speaking into it with the grace of one immersed in politics. When he finally clicked the cordless off, he faced them all.

“Trask is dead.”

Kitty felt the air rush from her lungs. Logan glanced at her, the pain in his eyes immeasurable though it mingled with surprise. Kitty gasped for breath, holding on to the edge of the table as Piotr attempted to croon soothing words into her ear.

Trask. Dead. Stryker.

“He didn’t need him anymore,” Logan said quietly.

“Quite right,” Hank agreed instantly. “He was found in a riverbed some forty miles from Ororo’s prison.”

Piotr looked up sharply. “Then we must start our search there! Surely the body was not dumped until Stryker was in position.”

“Maybe,” Logan continued, staring at the tiled tabletop. “Maybe they dumped him in the opposite direction.”

Some of the wind went out of their proverbial sails at that.

Kitty, her breathing slowly regulating, turned to Hank whom was patting Psylocke’s shoulder as the woman brushed away her tears.

“What do we do? We’ve got to find her.”

Silence. She glanced around to every face, shocked to find hopelessly staring back at her. She understood, at least somewhat. Storm was their leader, the rock amid chaos. She held them all together with her gentle, yet powerful presence. How could they hope to face this without their leader?

Kitty picked at her thumbnail before bringing it to her mouth and gnawing on the edge fearfully. There had to be something, anything.

“I give myself to Stryker.”

Logan’s voice was soft, but the tone unmistakable. He was determined to go back to that madman, to release his family at the cost of himself. Kitty jumped off her stool and stared at him, her mouth opening and closing several times soundlessly.

“Logan…” Hank attempted quietly.

Two adamantium-laced hands slammed into the table hard enough to crack it. Everyone jumped, startled by the quick, deadly display of temper. Though Wolverine was still looking at the tabletop, he spoke forcefully, his entire body shaking with rage.

“You don’t get it.” He said on a growl. “Its me he wants. I’ll give myself up, get ‘Ro back. You guys can come after me.”

“No,” Kitty breathed, shaking her head so hard her ponytail smacked her in the face. “Hell no.”

“We ain’t got a choice, Kitten,” Logan continued softly. “I trust you to come get me. I really don’t wanna spend my life with Stryker.”

“Wolverine,” Betsy tried, reaching across the table to take his hand. “There must be another way.”

“Yeah?” He snarled, wrenching his hand away and standing to pace. He glared at the violet-haired telepath almost hatefully. “Its me he wants, for fuck’s sake! I’m the reason he took her!”

“NO!” Kitty shouted, not bothering to be afraid of Wolverine. He wouldn’t hurt her, or any of them. He’d been around them too long for her to be scared of his temper.

“You don’t get it, dumbass!” She screamed at the top of her voice. “He doesn’t just want you!”

“How do you know?!” Logan roared in response.

“I saw his files, moron!” Kitty continued, throwing her hands up in despair. “He’s not just interested in having his favorite toy back, he wants to see how your DNA reacts to others, how ALL of us will blend together!”

Logan gaped at her. Kitty took several steps around the table to shove him in the chest. He took two steps back, shocked into silence.

“He wants the baby, too, damnit! Once he has you, he’ll take the baby and kill Storm! That way he’s got lots of nice, fresh data about mutants. Don’t you understand, you give yourself to him, you’ve just killed the woman you love!”

Her last, screamed words echoed in the sudden silence. Everyone was staring at Kitty with a mixture of shock and disgust. She had vowed to never tell them the content of Trask’s files. She now knew, with a roll of nausea, who the “silent partner” in Trask’s work had been. They were working together to learn more about mutants, to find more effective ways of destroying them.

Trembling from head to toe, Kitty swallowed hard and met Logan’s eyes. “He’ll want me, too. He’ll want any pregnant mutant. Storm’s at 35 weeks, Logan. The baby is viable outside the womb.”

“He wouldn’t…” Hank whispered as though he would be sick.

“Hell yes he would,” Logan answered for him, fear reflecting in dark eyes that never left Kitty’s. “He’ll take the baby by force.”

“What now?” Piotr demanded. “We cannot allow this.”

They stared again in silence, the thick quiet only broken when Hank’s mobile chirped shrilly. He fumbled for the phone, pressing it to one furry ear as several pairs of eyes swung to face him. Kitty and Wolverine, however, continued their unfettered eye-lock.

“Trish?” Hank said, sounding surprised. “Calm down, I cannot understand…What?!”

Finally, Logan and Kitty turned to face Hank, whom had gone pale beneath his indigo fur. He switched the phone off, his jaw set as he glanced around the room.

“I think I know where they are.”
Chapter Twenty: Ororo by Gaineewop


Chapter Twenty: Ororo

Someone told me
Love would all save us
But, how can that be
Look what love gave us
A world full of killing
And blood spilling
That world never came
~Nickelback (ft. Josey Scott)



“It was a shock to the country when just forty-eight hours ago, imprisoned mutant hero known as Storm was taken forcibly from her cell. While awaiting trial, the pregnant woman was kept at an undisclosed location fifty miles west of her home, Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters.”

Patricia was in rare form. Her eyes bore into the camera, her stare designed to shame the viewer into action. She knew the public as well as she could, knew that they had to be poked, prodded before coming to the aid of someone they did not know.

She was playing at the sympathetic angle, with outrage tossed in for flavor. Fear for Ororo spurred her on, even as she buried it under the urgency of her work. Giving in to the gnawing terror wouldn’t help. Trish might have been born a normal human, but she wasn’t without her gifts.

If that gift could help bring her friend home, deliver her safely of a son, then she would do it.

Trish focused on the camera and the trembling man holding it. The proverbial gloves were off as she continued in her report.

“To add further speculation, Secretary Trask ‘s body was reportedly found just forty miles away from the prison where Storm was being held. We just received confirmation that the cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the head: execution style.”

Pressing on, feeling the weight of everything around her, the heady thrill of revealing truth, Trish imperceptibly cleared her throat.

“Storm is not, at present, a suspect in the murder of Secretary Trask. In fact, a massive search is underway for the pregnant mutant. Colonel Goldstein, the officer in charge of Storm’s prison, has organized thousands of volunteer Special Forces soldiers to search the surrounding areas.”

The panic licked inside of her, tamped down quickly by the headstrong reporter instinct she trusted. Everyone was doing their jobs. She had to believe their faith and hard work would bring Ororo home safe and sound.

Trish didn’t know that her worry, her fear, her determination shone from bright eyes.

With a gentle toss of her head, to whip troublesome bangs from her eyes, she gripped the microphone a little tighter.

“Dozens of civilians have offered their help as well, beginning a phone call campaign and taking calls for tips or sightings. The number is on the screen now. If you have any information regarding Storm or her captors, I urge you to call. You can make this important phone call anonymously. Any help in returning Storm and her unborn child is appreciated. Patricia Tilby, NCBC News, reporting from New York.”

She waited breathlessly for the feed to reach the anchors, paused to let them respond.

“Thank you, Trish,” Mitch said with cultured polish. “Have there been any leads?”

“Several, though information given to the press is limited due to safety measures. I do know that they are homing in on an area roughly twenty miles wide.”

“We certainly hope Storm is located quickly. Have you been able to speak with her family?”

“Yes, I just got off the phone with her partner “ and the father of her child “ in upstate New York. While he did not want to give an official statement, I can say that this kidnapping has shaken her family to the core, especially after she was taken from them several weeks ago.”

Mitch paused before speaking again. She knew him well and could hear the barely restrained malice in his urbane tone.

“I’m sure an investigation into this entire affair, including Storm’s arrest, will be underway shortly.”

“I’m inclined to agree.”

“Thank you, Trish.” She heard a rustle of clothing, kept her stoic expression in place while cameras swung from her to the anchor. “We’ll bring you continuing reports of Storm’s kidnapping as the story develops. Next we have Tony Mills with the weekend forecast.”

“And you’re clear, Trish,” her young cameraman said, taking the hefty equipment from his shoulder. “Good one. You almost had me pissing myself, so I’m thinking Capitol Hill isn’t too dry at the moment.”

Letting out the nervous, strained chuckle bubbling in her chest, she wound the microphone cord around her wrist and elbow to keep it from tangling as Oscar stowed their things away. She took a glance around, shaking her head at the other two-dozen vans dotting the United Nations parking lot.

Several reports were wrapping up as the evening news came to a close. It was a breaking story, one that might even cut into Primetime dramas as statements were released and the story developed. Trish, for her part, had a direct connection to the family so affected by this tragedy and got nothing second hand.

Though she knew she was doing what she did best, part of Trish’s heart yearned to be in the mansion with the others, worrying and planning. She was, by extension, part of that enormous, tight-knit group. She didn’t want to be out here alone, facing the questions and cameras.

What she really needed, she thought wryly, was a big, furry hug from a certain indigo mutant. Not that she was likely to get either.

As though he heard her, the cellular she kept in her pocket chirped shrilly. Trish’s hand dove into her coat pocket, the other tossing the microphone into the van. Oscar grunted irritably at her, reaching in to set the equipment where it belonged while she crammed the phone to her ear.

“Tilby.”

“Go around the vans, to the southern edge of the building.”

“Hank?” Trish glanced around quickly, calling over her shoulder to Oscar that she would be heading to the bathroom. “What’s going on?”

“Come around the building,” he repeated in a near whisper.

Trish was careful to keep her pace measured, her face blank. In a den infested with rats, it was best not to trigger their sense of smell. If Hank wanted to speak with her alone, and in person, she didn’t need an audience to bounce it all over the airways.

A reporter, yes. A bitch? No.

Slipping past the trimmed hedges along the southern corner of the United Nations building, Trish peered into twilight. Her heart thudded in her chest when she spied Hank standing with a cellular to his ear, leaning against the building with causal grace.

She still loved him. The thought came unbidden and with a punch to the gut. Nothing in the world seemed right without Hank by her side, as friend and lover. He looked up, blue eyes filled with concern and resolve.

They had something.

“Hank?”

He motioned her closer with a single crooked finger. She slammed her phone shut, rushing around the building until they were mere inches apart. Part of her nearly threw her arms around his neck. Remembering a second soon enough, she stopped, keeping her hands in fists at her side.

Hank, she noted, tensed a fraction as well. Had he been ready to accept her embrace?

“We have something,” he said, saving her from the uncomfortable silence.

“What?” Trish looked around, not surprised to find the others were nowhere in sight. “What’s happening?”

“A massive storm cell fifty miles north,” Hank answered somewhat clinically. “It grows and ebbs regularly. I believe Ororo is in distress.”

Trish paused, mentally calculating the weeks. “Hank, she could be in labor. How regular?”

“Ten minutes,” he shifted away from the wall. “But I must agree with your theory. If Ororo is in labor, it is likely her emotions are in turmoil.”

“Reflecting in the weather.” Trish worried her bottom lip between her teeth. “She’s probably right in the eye of it.”

Hank’s eyes warmed for a moment, as though pleased she was catching on. “That is our assessment.”

Her strength returned almost immediately. Hank had a plan, a location, and the wherewithal to get their Storm back.

“What do you need me to do?”

Her friend reached over, as though to take her hand, but stopped before he could grasp her. Disappointed in his restraint, the blow to her heart nearly physical, Trish inhaled deeply. She made her choice, Trish reminded herself stubbornly. There was nothing she could do to change things now.

It was selfish to think of such things when Ororo was in mortal peril.

“Keep in contact with Kitty,” he said, indicating to her cellular. “And report to your superiors that a location is being investigated. I want the public frothing at the mouth when everything comes to a head.”

“Aye, aye, Captain,” Trish said with a smile. “Tell Kitty she can reach me on the cell and I’ll get the American people into a blood frenzy.”

Hank nodded, turning as though he would leave her. Trish steeled her bruised heart against it, knowing the symbolism of the act was something they both understood. He was leaving to fight, she remained to work. Whatever they had together was cast in the shadow of the “greater good”.

Right then, Trish wanted to tell the greater good to go fuck itself.

“Blue?”

Hank stopped, but did not turn at the soft call of his nickname.

“Be careful.”

“Always.”

With that, he darted into the hedge line and vanished. Trish felt her jaw tremble, the tears caught in her eyes spill over. Wiping the wetness away impatiently, she squared her shoulders and tucked the cellular back into her pocket.

No matter what, she was going to fight the good fight. Rushing back to the camera crew, Trish ordered them to prepare as she grabbed her laptop and typed up copy. Stryker and his little peons were about to get hell rained down on them.

~**~

The pain was immeasurable. Swelling and ebbing, she felt it wrack her already weakened body as though it would shake her bones broken. Tossing her head on the pillow, her longer restraints pulled taut, Ororo tried desperately to breathe.

Tests were finished, conclusions reached, and Stryker announced that today would be her son’s birthday. Terrified at what he could mean by that, helpless to stop it, Ororo watched as they prepared an IV. Masked medical personnel injected her with something several times and almost at once, the contractions began.

Hours later, she teetered on the edge of madness. The elements screamed for her, feeling every clench of her body as it was forced to deliver her unborn child. Another contraction faded and she fell back against the flat pillow beneath her head.

Probing fingers found her again and though the pain increased, she refused to scream. Veins in her throat protruded from her flesh with the restraint. She wouldn’t give them the satisfaction. Her hands clenched into fists, the restraints allowing her to shift more easily, to assist with the birth.

She had thought her child would be brought into the world in joy, in expectation. Daydreams were filled with smiling faces, happy cheers, and cooing over the tiny being she fought so hard to birth. Logan would be there, obviously. He would hold her hand, whisper endearments, fret as only her beloved feral could.

Instead of that warm, happy dream, she was faced with stark terror and unimaginable evil.

Another contraction. Ororo grit her teeth through it, wishing they had thought to keep her tractable by giving her pain medication. Though she believed in letting nature take its course, she in no way pined for a “natural” birth.

”Ten centimeters and fully effaced,” reported one of the masked monsters. “All right, lets start pushing.”

“No,” Ororo fruitlessly shook her head. “You can’t…have him.”

They paid her no heed as several attendants came to the bed. She was shifted, turned, and lifted as the bed was converted into something more fitting for birth. Ororo tried to fight, but the pain whipping through her un-medicated body was having none of that. Pliable and utterly without options, she had no choice but to listen as the “doctor” instructed her.

Beside the bed, in a corner of the room, a small table was being prepared for the baby. Warming lights were readied, blankets retrieved. Oh, by the Goddess. Logan. Logan, don’t let this happen.

Ororo screamed silently for her mate, even as she felt their child struggle to be born. Their first child was lost to Fate, and now she faced losing the second to evil.

With the mobility granted by her extended restraints, Ororo grasped at her thighs and leaned forward over the swell of her belly. The action reduced the pain, but brought the realization of what was happening to the forefront. She was having this baby, weeks too early, and delivering him into hands that would harm him.

She vowed, with every breath, every push, that she wouldn’t let Stryker win. No matter what she had to do, she would save her child from this fate. Once they got through this, once he was born, she could find a way…develop a plan.

Logan wouldn’t lose them. Her mate was nothing if not loyal and God knew, likely on the way to her now.

Just get through this, my little darling, she said silently to her child as another contraction rolled through the first. Daddy is coming.

Her weakened body strained and pushed and finally, what seemed an age later, there was a shriek of triumph from the doctors surrounding her.

Relief swept through Ororo’s body as the baby came from the sanctuary of her womb. He let loose an ear-splitting scream the moment his mouth was clear. Ororo smiled in a hazy satisfaction, her body worn out from the rigors of birthing him. Vision blurred, with tears and exhaustion, she watched as they clipped the umbilical cord and whisked the angry newborn off into the readied bed.

“Got lungs on him.”

Though she could scarcely move, the echo of her child’s cries still on the air, Ororo turned her head almost lazily to face Stryker. He was smiling softly, his malevolence apparent even through the veil of good humor.

Weak, afraid, Ororo hissed at him. “He’s mine. God damn you, he’s mine.

“I’m sorry, my dear,” he said as he reached for the IV tubing snaking into her arm. “You’re so very wrong there.”

She turned her head again, panic kicking to life inside her chest. “Give me my baby. Give him to me, damn you!”

Her weak command was ignored. Tears slipped down her cheeks and the winds screamed their displeasure at the order of their mistress. A sob caught in her throat and she weakly reached for her son. When she could speak again, it was with desperation. “Give me my baby. I want my baby.”

Something was injected into the IV and Ororo winced when the hot liquid entered her already battered body.

“My baby…” she whispered as darkness overtook her. “Logan, our baby…”

Infantile cries drowned out and she tumbled into medicated sleep still calling for her son.

~**~


“Can’t this motherfuckin’ thing go any fuckin’ faster?”

Logan wanted to prowl the length of the Blackbird, but stayed strapped into his seat. Since Rogue took a trip into nothing but air while mid-flight several years ago, Logan never unbuckled the belt any time the Blackbird flew. Call him crazy, but he wasn’t looking forward to his own stint in dead air.

Especially since Nightcrawler wasn’t with them.

With Hank’s information that an unusual storm cell appeared “ and vanished “ close to where Ororo’s prison was, the X-Men tore off into the fray. Armed with determination, mutations, and something along the lines of “Don’t fuck with my family”, they left the children in Braddock’s hands along with the irate Kitty.

Piotr was uncommonly firm on that score. He took his fiancée by the biceps, dragged her several inches from the ground until they were eye to eye, and informed her that she was sitting this mission out. Kitten fought and swore, but Pete was adamant.

Her reasons for going were rebutted by a simple: “You will stay here, Katya, or I will duct tape you to Jimmy and the both of you to the wall.”

That, more or less, ended the argument. She was pissed off and Logan had no doubt that Pete was crashing on the sofa for a few weeks. At least, he thought now, she was safe from Stryker’s insanity. Back at home, with mutants aplenty flanking her, there was little danger.

Glancing at Rasputin beside him, Logan’s heart clenched. He would give anything to have what the kid did at this moment. Piece of mind. If Ororo were back at home, his family wouldn’t be in such danger. Had he done something “ anything “ to keep ‘Ro out of prison, Stryker might not have his hands on the woman he loved. Guilt swept through him again, forcing the Wolverine to scowl at the window.

He knew what Hank was thinking. The storm cell over upstate New York was strange. It grew and vanished with startling regularity. Recalling what he read of ‘Ro’s baby books, factoring in what Stryker wanted with his son, Logan came to the same uneasy conclusion. ‘Ro might be in labor, forced to give birth while some wacko looked on.

Growling, Logan felt his fist clench, adamantium nipping at the underside of his flesh. History wasn’t going to repeat itself, no matter how Stryker tried to replicate it. Logan would not lose his child or his mate. Not an option. It wasn’t happening.

Jubilee, Iceman, and Angel accompanied Colossus, Beast, and Wolverine. Marie tried to prevent Warren from going, to which the young mutant merely shook his head. In that quiet tone, he told the girl falling for him that Storm saved him once, it was time he repay the favor.

They were trained and even ready for the mission, but Logan feared he might lose one of them to this insanity. Stryker, an admirable opponent when family wasn’t involved, could easily decide that one of them was worth killing while trying to tempt Logan back to his experiments. He couldn’t let that happen. There was so much to lose…

“We’re here.”

At Hank’s flat statement, Logan startled. His friend said next to nothing since meeting with Tilby in New York City. If something passed between the former lovers, Hank didn’t seem keen on sharing it with the class. Someday, Logan mused, he’d have to remove Furball’s head from ass and get him to make up with Trish.

Watching a blue man in depression was an exercise in lunacy.

The Blackbird landed much more smoothly than when Cyclops manned the helm, but Logan suddenly missed Scooter’s inexpert flying. Cyclops would have headed this mission without pause, leaping into the unknown in search of their missing weather goddess. Wolverine closed his eyes, trying to fight off the grief and memory that lived inside him as though waiting for the wrong moment to pounce.

He felt the sense of someone watching him, of a warm, familiar hand on his shoulder and whipped around quickly. God, he could smell the hint of ozone that betrayed Scott in life, though Logan knew it was impossible.

Maybe, just maybe, Scooter was here for this mission. Something about that thought was immensely comforting.

Unbuckling his seat belt, his determination heightened by memories of their lost leader, Logan stood and strode toward the ramp Hank had already opened. The others waited for him to move first, leading them down the ramp and into the thick darkness.

It was, Logan thought, a typical military compound. Like Alkali Lake, this one long since passed into disuse, which made it perfect for Stryker’s headquarters. The fence was down in places, gaping holes made by man or beast leaving walkways into the compound.

But Stryker was no fool. Sniffing, Wolverine dropped into a crouch, searching for any hint of security in the vicinity. Scents of men and machinery flitted into his sensitive nostrils. Sharp eyes darted about, taking in more of their surroundings.

Working pushed the fear aside, let the instinct kick in. Logan did so gratefully, having worried that his love for Ororo might inhibit him from performing up to his usual standard. He thanked his mutation for giving him the ability to tuck the man aside and make room for the animal.

The building just ahead looked abandoned, but Logan heard a slight cough, the click of someone readying a rifle.

“Get down.” Logan whispered as he slowly released his claws.

When his teammates hit the deck, Wolverine darted forward, screaming in rage. He leapt through the broken window of the security post, startling the two men laying in wait. One was dead before he could gasp in shock; the second never got a shot off.

“Messy, but it works,” Bobby said with some distaste as they came closer.

Breathing hard, ready for more of a rumble than these assholes could provide, Wolverine grunted.

Colossus and Beast both made a beeline for the monitoring systems, flicking through images of the perimeter as they stood over still-warm bodies. Jubilee might have a slight green cast to her cheeks, but she positioned herself resolutely beside Bobby as they watched for anyone else coming to break up the party.

“There,” Pete said, pointing to a screen.

Logan leaned forward, peering at the screen and taking in every detail of it. Medical monitoring equipment was stacked in plain view, but the bed to the side was cut off from the static camera. Obviously, something was going on in there that Stryker didn’t want his lackeys to see.

“Is that…” Pete whispered with a hitch in his tone. “Blood?”

The black and white camera only betrayed a smatter of darkness on the floor, as though someone had stepped in the sticky fluid and tracked it through the room.

“Yeah,” Logan replied, ready to rage once more. “That’s blood.”

“We must move,” Hank cut in. “Ororo may be injured.”

The mutants turned as one, leaving the decimated security station. Hank, having found a map of the compound, directed them to the northern section. Most of the other buildings were completely destroyed, unoccupied for some time. Logan ignored them, his eyes and nose trained for any sign of Ororo.

Rain pelted the assembled X-men, winds whipping hair and clothing around them with fury. Ororo was close by, Logan thought, and mighty pissed off.

Beast called for Wolverine to alter course, the six mutants charging toward a large building in the center of the compound. Dark and dank, the looming steel doors seemed to mock Logan as he jogged toward them. He sniffed experimentally, then let loose a stream of curses that paled several faces.

“Its adamantium,” he snarled in explanation.

Rushing to the doors, which were shiny and new in comparison to the rest of the compound, he tried one of the handles. Not surprised to find it locked “ there was a keypad with a card slot and numerals for some kind of code “ he unsheathed claws and swiped at it.

The adamantium was scarcely scratched.

“Hrmm,” Hank murmured thoughtfully. “That metal is denser than yours.”

“Someone expected you,” Colossus added as the scraping of metal on metal betrayed his converted body.

The young man shouldered Wolverine out of the way, raised both hands in a mighty fist and swung at the door with all his genetically enhanced power. Wolverine clapped both hands over his ears, whining in pain as the reverberation of superhuman strike damaged his eardrums.

Colossus raised his fists and hit it again. And again. And again.

Though he swung with all his strength, not even their resident Superman could so much as dent the dense, unbreakable metal.

“Uh, guys?” Bobby said as he moved forward cautiously. “Sometimes knocking on the door just get it open.”

Wolverine watched curiously as Iceman slid up to the door beside him. He had a cellular phone to his ear, nodding at something someone was saying on the other line. The young mutant took the cell from his ear, lining it up against the keypad and snapped a photograph.

“Got it, Kitten?”

Logan’s preternatural ears picked up the response. “Yep. Give me an inside view, too.”

Snikt! Claws unsheathed again and Logan reached around Bobby to pop the panel from the wall. A mess of wires and electronic chips winked playfully at the assembled mutants, even as Bobby snapped another photo and sent it to their resident hacker.

“Ok,” Kitty said a moment later. “Wolvie, snap the blue and white wire and the yellow wire.”

“You sure about this, Kitty?”

“Uh, duh.” He could almost hear her eyes roll toward heaven. “Just do it.”

Trusting her, a razor-sharp claw swiped at the wires. He held them cautiously, glancing at Bobby for further instruction.

“Ok,” the boy relayed faithfully. “The colored shielding…work it down until some of the wire is exposed. Don’t touch the actual wire unless you want a jolt.”

Sweating, Logan did as requested, looking at the exposed wire with something like trepidation. This wasn’t his forte, damn Kitty for being all pregnant, he needed her, wanted her expertise here with them.

He shoved that thought aside. Kitty was where she belonged and she was helping them.

“Touch the wires together.”

“Oh, Jesus. Take cover,” Bobby quipped, though he did take several steps back.

Logan, without hesitation, pressed the wires together.

With a clang and the hum of electricity, the doors slid open. Wolverine breathed a deep sigh of relief, turning to Bobby and snatching the phone from him.

“You’re a flamin’ genius, Kitten.”

“I do what I can,” she said quickly. “Go kick ass, Wolf-man.”

“You got it, darlin’.”

Voices. Shouting, alarmed voices were coming through the wide open door. Footsteps, combat boots on tile. Clicking of weaponry.

Someone knew they had guests.

Claws, lethal and itching for a fight, slid quickly from their home within Logan’s hands. He snarled, tucking the phone into his pocket and stepping into the doorway. In the center, rage coloring his vision a deep, brutal crimson, he crouched low and ready to meet the attackers.

They flooded the hall, dressed in dark uniforms and bringing him the scent of fear.

On Hank’s sharp command, the six mutants charged first in search of their Storm.
Chapter Twenty-One: A Child's Fate by Gaineewop


Chapter Twenty-One: A Child’s Fate

I just need this to be alright
I can't feel this another night
I can't take this I come unglued
I might breakdown in front of you
Necessary to medicate
I'm not sleeping, can't stay awake
~Staind



Hazy fog filled her mind, even as her consciousness struggled to break free. There were lingering pains, an ache in her womb, between her legs. Like before, she was emptied and alone. But this time, in the place of numbing sorrow, there was rage.

She pulled at the restraints before she was coherent. Someone took her child. No one had any right to steal her newborn son. Ororo was aware that someone stood beside her bed, even as she awoke. Alarms were blaring, shouting voices carried down the hall. She couldn’t care less.

Even if the world was imploding around her, she knew only the desperate need to find her son.

Voices filled the previous silence. Concentrating on the noise, letting it draw her from the realm of awful dreams, she feigned sleep. Narcotics swam in her blood stream. Ororo focused her mutation, drawing on the volts of electricity her body continually produced. Sending a current inward, she burned off the drugs, the pain nothing against her wrath.

“He said to stay here.”

A male voice, deep and filled with authority.

“But we’re under attack.”

Logan. She hoped her captors could not see the slow, malicious smile that spread across her mouth. Her mate was here. Oh, there would be blood.

The female vocals, heightened by fear, continued, but Ororo paid them no mind. She knew what had to be done. If Logan and their family finally arrived, the confusion provided a perfect diversion. Ororo flexed her hands, pleased to find that her long restraints were still in place. Her feet were unbound.

They likely assumed she would be too weak to fight back. That was a fatal mistake.

Drawing on her years as a street urchin in Cairo, Ororo pried one eye open. A cursory glance with thief’s eyes told her what she needed to know. The man and woman were positioned at the door. Only one was armed. The tray of medical supplies stood at her right, filled with all manner of interesting weapons.

Shifting beneath the thin blanket covering her, Ororo let her fingers drift over the edge of the bed. The blankets, to her amusement, were pinned. Fingering a thick metallic clothespin, the former pickpocket easily removed it. She palmed the pin, another glance assuring her that the others were distracted by the sounds of battle.

Her thin arm slid the cuff of her restraint until she could feel the loosened lock. Arrogance was about to be their downfall. Someone merely locked the slack leather, so she was able to shift until the pin slid into the lock.

In seconds, Ororo had one hand free. She called on mutation, sitting up fully and slammed wind into the captors by the door. They slumped against the wall, the rifle falling to the tile with a tinny clunk.

Her vision swam, but Storm quickly picked the other lock. Free, wild with fury, Ororo jumped from the bed and stood on shaky legs. Ordering her body to comply when it wanted to falter, she padded across the room on bare feet. Her hospital gown whispered about her flesh, her body clenching as it attempted to recover from birth.

She was bleeding. Ororo didn’t bother to be grateful someone provided her with means to move without blood trailing down her legs. Rage colored her vision crimson as she approached her captors. The male attempted to stand. She grasped a scalpel from the medical tray and wielded it as a weapon.

But it was her fist that stopped the guard. She broke his nose with a palm, relishing the sound of bone snapping. He howled with the pain, but screamed when Ororo brought down lightning. It shattered the ceiling, jolting through the bastard’s body. He convulsed, vomited, and died while she looked on.

When the female whimpered, Ororo reigned in her mutation and whirled on her. The girl was trying to flee, her eyes filled with horror as she stared at the burned-black body on the previously pristine floor tile. Ororo prevented escape, stalking her prey. This was the one that took her child. She stole her infant son, taking him from the room while his mother cried out for him.

Grabbing the whelp by the front of her nurse’s uniform, Ororo hauled her to her feet. She swayed, cried, pled. Her sobbing apologies fell on deaf ears.

Ororo wrapped her arm around the girl’s neck, whirling her away until they embraced back to chest. Whispering in the girl’s ear, she placed the stolen scalpel to her throat, the tip digging into light flesh. The girl squeaked.

With a snarl worthy of her child’s father, the distraught mother squeezed her captive.

“Take me to my son.” Her voice was even, but dripped murder. “Now.

“I-I-I can’t,” her prisoner stammered with another squeal. “They’re outside.”

A dark, hollow laugh escaped Ororo’s lips. “Liar. They went to fight off his father. Take me to him, or I will slit your throat.”

“Y-Y-You w-w-wouldn’t.”

Ororo’s only reply was to dig the razor sharp blade into her throbbing pulse-point.

“Ok.” The girl shook with fear. Part of Storm reveled in that.

“Slowly.” She ordered as they moved to the door. “One squeak and I won’t use the blade. I’ll cook you from the inside out.”

Nurse nodded. They slipped out of the room, into a stark white hall. It was something from a nightmare. A long corridor that held dozens of doors…it looked plucked from a recent horror film. Ororo noted it was empty, save for two guards on either end. They, however, were deep in discussion with whoever spoke on the other end of heavy radios.

Unfortunately for her captive, they paid the duo no mind as Ororo was led to one of the blank doors. Her heart hammered in her chest, breathing short and ragged as her prisoner manipulated a keypad, swiped a card. The door hissed open. Ororo forced the nurse through it first, taking a quick look about.

“Help me!”

Ororo was not even aware of the blade moving. But there was blood on her hands when they went limp, when her would-be captor slid from her arms. Crimson splashed the white tile, but Ororo paid the dying woman no mind.

Doctors in white were standing around a small bed. Ororo’s heart stuttered when a dark, angry fist shot up over the edge, even as the doctors stepped back with fear naked in their eyes. By the Goddess.

She’d found him.

“You unimaginable bastards,” the words were growled, her voice nearly alien. “I’m going to enjoy this.”

She took a step toward them, gasping in rage when they slipped out of a door in the back of the room. The clang of locks echoed, but she ignored them. Her objective was the infant lying innocently in the center of the room.

Ororo rushed to his side, peering down into the medical crib. There, dark and perfect, was the son they’d taken. Astonished that something so beautiful existed so contently amid such fear and death, Ororo reached in to touch the tuft of raven hair on his head.

Her baby leaned toward her. Did he know her? His tiny hands fought the air, so Ororo dropped the scalpel. She reached for him, but recoiled from the blood on her hands.

“Don’t go anywhere.” She whispered to her child with a small smile.

Dashing to the sink beside his crib, Ororo scrubbed her hands free. Commotion sounded outside the door, but running footsteps passed with barely a pause. Obviously, they had more on their minds than a helpless newborn.

Shedding her ruined medical gown, Ororo searched the lockers along one wall until she found a duffel. The jeans she pulled out were too big, but they stayed up. An oversized t-shirt covered her chest and mother rushed back to son.

“Charlie.” His tiny head whipped around at the sound of her voice. Pleasure and love bloomed in her heart. He did know her. “Come on, my little darling.”

With gentle hands, she pulled the sticky tapes monitoring his condition from his dark skin. Ororo inspected him carefully, then, taking precious seconds to just look at him. Ten fingers, ten toes. One long nose, two obsidian eyes. He looked so much like his father Ororo leaned into the crib, kissing both velvety cheeks. She wrapped him expertly in a blanket, lifting him “ finally “ into her arms.

He smelled of life, that unnamable scent that betrayed his innocence. Ororo took another blanket and fashioned a sling. She pulled it over her shoulder so it lay across her chest, then snuggled her little Charlie into it. Her hands were free to deal with whatever came up and her baby cuddled as close as he could get without returning to the womb.

The door banged open.

Instinct to defend leapt to the surface and Ororo thrust her hands out. Wind laced with lightning erupted from the air around them, slamming the intruders back into the hall. With one hand on the baby’s cloth-covered body, the new mother bolted from the room.

Stepping over bodies, she tilted her head, locating the sound of battle from the right. Knowing wherever the fight was, she would find her mate, Ororo ran.

~**~


No mercy. No quarter.

Headed by ferocious Wolverine, the X-Men flooded the stark corridors of Stryker’s base like a force of nature. Their training, obviously, surpassed their opponents’ even without the aid of mutations.

Bullets were dodged almost effortlessly as the mutant fighters dispatched two dozen without breaking a sweat. Men and women in dreary uniforms slumped into walls, some whimpering with the pain of broken limbs or mortal cuts.

“Which way?” Iceman asked, his breathing short. Logan glanced at him, knowing from the ice covering his body that the kid was in full battle mode.

It took everything in him to keep the beast from overtaking the man. Logan wanted to drown in his primal side, to fly through these walls on instinct alone. But there were others to think of. Ororo would have his hide if he abandoned them and took on Stryker’s forces on his own.

Wolverine dropped to one knee, sniffing the ground and filtering out scents of blood, of X-Men. He caught a faint whiff of Ororo and his stomach clenched. It was fresh, he thought, concentrating on that scent. Frowning, he inhaled again. What was that?

A familiar, delicate odor mingled with Storm’s. He knew that scent. What was it? Where had he caught it before? As the X-Men flanked him, shifting into positions to defend as he discerned the location of his lover and child, Logan fought to home in on the aroma.

“Oh, God. No.”

Realization made him pause, swear, then want to rage. Only Hank’s whispered question stopped him from beheading every motherfucker lying limp in the hall.

“The baby.” Logan caught the pain in his voice and did nothing to cover it. “Fuck me, she’s already given birth.”

“What?!” Jubilee shrieked, her hands pulsing with light. Angel and Iceman came closer, looking at Wolverine with horror in their eyes.

“No,” Warren shook his head. “They couldn’t have.”

“We have to find her,” Colossus said with unnatural heat. “But first…”

His metal-covered body intercepted a new wave of uniformed soldiers. For a moment, the others could only watch in something like awe as their usually tranquil friend went completely insane on their enemies.

Logan understood, even as he threw himself into the fray. They were fathers. Paternal instinct and fear demanded immediate action. Ororo, in one way or another, was forced to evict her son. Had Stryker operated, killing the mother once the child was born? Or was she still here, fighting her own battle?

Trusting her to stay alive, Wolverine sank six claws through a bulletproof vest. The rage was terrible, bringing the taste of copper to the back of his throat while the beast within howled in fury. He couldn’t control it any longer, mind blanking out as the weight of his discovery fell on his shoulders.

His son had been born. Somewhere in this cold, disgusting prison, a new life came into the world. It wasn’t right. There should have been love and laughter to greet his newborn child. He was supposed to be there, to hold the baby out to the woman he loved. They should have held him together, smiling with pride at the tiny person they brought into the world.

Stolen. Stryker robbed the budding family of this moment, of the simple tradition rooted in loving family. Wolverine roared, meeting every new enemy with that all-consuming rage. Nothing in the world would soothe him, not until he found his mate, his pack. Ororo and their little Charles belonged to him.

Dimly aware that the others moved with him, following his well-tuned nose, Logan waded through blood. It slicked the floors beneath his feet, dripped from hands that ended life again and again. They were nameless, faceless, but in each Wolverine saw the same malevolent doctors that stole his life once before.

He mangled another, decapitated one before moving to sink bloodied adamantium into a chest. Not caring where he hit or what vital organs were the first to go, Wolverine marched through the hall like Black Death. Face grim, eyes wild with preternatural rage, he rounded a corner, prepared for battle.

Snikt!

Claws sheathed before he had the chance to process what he was seeing. There, at the other end of yet another pristine hallway, was a white-haired goddess defending herself. Logan caught the flash of metal and realized she wielded a set of enormous knives. His heart stuttered to a stop, the rage draining from his mind, as he understood that she was alive.

Alive.

“RO!”

She turned, her blade still lodged in the belly of a man twice her size. Her dark face was pale, eyes haunted, but one hand gripped something strapped to her chest. Recognition moved over her features at the sight of him leading the X-Men.

“LOGAN!”

Her opponents were down when she rushed toward him. Logan, too, was running without telling his legs to move. They met in the center, both collapsing from the relief. His arms were around her immediately, their knees bumping together as they embraced.

Inhaling the scent of her, he met that fierce, glowing gaze and cupped both cheeks. Tears coursed unchecked down her face, her entire body shaking. But she was there, alive and fighting as though not even the prospect of death could slow her down.

“You’re here.” She was whispering, chanting as though confused. “I knew you’d come. I knew it. I told Charlie you were coming.”

“I’ll always come, darlin’,” he answered her, kissing her lips quickly. “Fuck. You’re ok. Are you ok? What…”

Something wiggled in the scant space between them. Logan looked down, then back up into Ororo’s eyes as the X-Men surrounded them.

“We’re squashing the baby,” Ororo giggled. That one, beloved sound soothed his fears. They were all right. His family lived.

“Baby?” He peeked into the odd sling she wore across her chest, pulling back the blanket until he could see the tiny, squirming human snuggled inside. “Shit. Oh, shit. Oh, God. Is he ok?”

“He’s fine. Early, but fine.” Ororo hugged him again, then turned to the others. “Hi.”

“Hi?” Iceman questioned, looking at his teacher as though she’d lost her mind. “HI?”

Ororo laughed again, struggling to stand. Logan put his hand on her elbow to steady her, trying to regain the wits she’d chased away with her sudden appearance. Each of them looked ready to hold her, but running footsteps stopped all reunion.

“Go.” Logan ordered her. “Go with Jubes and Bobby. Back to the jet.”

“No.” Ororo shook her head, reaching for the knives she’d discarded. “I have an appointment with Stryker.”

“Ro.”

“Don’t argue with me, damn it.”

“Could we, perhaps, finish this later?” Beast said as he sprang forward into the coming mob.

Ororo and Logan were battle ready, side by side. Infused with strength, Wolverine dashed forward, adamantium flashing. Ororo stuck the knives into her waistband, raising her hands and bringing forth the ferocity of the elements.

Lightning flashed from her hands, avoiding the battling X-Men as she fried uniformed guards. Only six this time, he thought as a bolt singed his ear. He broke a neck with his bare hands as bodies dropped to the floor.

“Where’s Stryker?”

Turning to Colossus, Logan flinched. The enraged young man held the only breathing enemy to the wall, his massive hands around a skinny neck. He fought and squirmed, but that only made Pete squeeze. The soldier yelped breathlessly.

“Where is he?”

The soldier pointed, twitching his hand toward the door just beyond. Without consulting the others, Logan turned toward it. Fists baring unbreakable metal, Wolverine stalked toward it. Stryker’s acrid scent wafted through the metallic door, even as Ororo and the others filed after him.

Colossus was there, then. He gripped his hands together as he had outside and with one deft movement and the resonating clang of metal on metal, thrust the door off it’s hinges.

As a unit, the X-Men stepped inside.

“Wolverine.”

Behind a wide desk in what looked to be an office, with a blank expression on his face, was their enemy. Snarling, Logan stopped in the center of the room. Mahogany bookshelves lined walls, the lush carpet and mocha-colored walls a stark contrast to the bare white outside. There were chairs on the opposite side of the desk and Stryker lounged almost carelessly with his hands on the polished wood.

“Stryker.”

The growl was an unmistakable threat.

But Stryker looked to the woman holding a child beside him.

“Storm. Should you be up, my dear? Your labor was vigorous.”

“I feel wonderful,” she replied flatly. Logan noticed her hands smoothing over the cloth-covered bump on her chest, as though protectively covering their child.

“I’m astonished,” Stryker said as his eyes flitted over the assembled mutants. “That Xavier’s children would so willingly kill so many. Was that what he taught you?”

“He taught us to protect,” Colossus responded with heat. “I have no doubt that if he were alive today, he would applaud what restraint we exercised.”

“Restraint?” Stryker asked, obviously amused. “You’ve murdered scores of my soldiers.”

“Murder?” It was Bobby speaking now. “You kidnapped a pregnant woman, killed your partner in crime, and were intending to steal a baby and murder his mother. You’re not even human, dude.”

Stryker shrugged one shoulder. “Science demands sacrifice. Doesn’t it, Wolverine?”

But Jubilee needed to have her say. “Science? You don’t get it. We’re a family. Didn’t you have a son? Wouldn’t you do all this and worse if it meant saving him?”

“No,” Ororo interjected. “He used his son to further his schemes. He dissected him, turned a bright, if troubled, young man into nothing more than a chemistry set.”

“How delightful,” Stryker laughed. “You know as much about me as I do you. Charming.”

“Stryker,” Beast spoke up, coming to stand beside Logan. “This madness must end. You lost your son, your wife, everything because of it.”

“I lost more than that,” the man said softly. “My greatest work, my finest accomplishment.”

Wolverine took another step, his hands clenching. “You don’t know a goddamn thing about me.”

“I know who you were,” countered Stryker. “I have the answers you need.”

Logan’s voice dropped to a growl. “I do, too. She’s standin’ right behind me.”

Stryker’s eyes, Logan noticed now that he was closer, were resolved. He knew he was a dead man, but was determined to get his licks in. The gun, which none had noticed beneath his hand, raised.

Instinctively, Logan took a step back and to the right, trying to cover Ororo and their son. He needn’t have bothered, for three others were already surrounding her. Logan watched as Stryker toyed with the small, nickel-plated pistol.

“I should have killed her when I had the chance.” His voice was flat, devoid of emotion. “See you both in Hell.”

“No!”

But he was too late. Logan leapt toward Stryker as the pistol came up to his temple. As if in slow motion, he felt the X-Men surge behind him, saw the chair fall as he rushed to stop Stryker. No. Not this way. It wasn’t right. It wasn’t justice.

BANG!

Blood splattered the bookshelf and floor as Stryker’s body fell limp in the high-backed chair. Logan pulled up short, staring at the body in defeat. Coward. He’d taken the coward’s way out and robbed Logan of killing him personally.

That, of course, was the point.

He turned back to Ororo, shaking his head slowly. She met his eyes with determination, though her chin quivered with emotion. Her knees buckled, hands gripping their baby as Colossus smoothly caught her.

Logan took two strides, lifting Ororo into his arms. They couldn’t change things now. Their gazes met as he held her close.

“Fuck it. Let’s go home.”

~**~

There was something moving beside her.

Ororo woke with a start, glancing around the room she had not seen in months. The grunting beside her mingled with little jerks of movement. She turned sharply, trying to decipher what the hell was going on.

Home. She was home.

Charlie was lying on his back, looking up at her with those big, dark eyes as his arms and legs kicked. Someone had dressed him in the jumper Logan purchased so long ago, the logo proudly declaring that his name was Trouble.

Soothed, Ororo lay back against the pillows, smiling at the tiny person. She touched one teeny fist, pleased when little fingers grasped hers tightly. Nuzzling her baby’s cheek, making him open his mouth and work his gums on her nose, Ororo chuckled.

“Hey.”

She looked up, not surprised to see Logan standing by the bed. He was clean, dressed in the daily uniform of jeans white at the stress points and a t-shirt. He held a baby bottle, a burp cloth draped over his shoulder.

He might have worn a sign that screamed “DAD”.

“Hi,” she leaned up for a kiss. “How long was I asleep?”

“Bout eighteen hours.” He looked to the baby, sniffing experimentally. “Hank says you’re both the picture of health, but you’re undernourished and exhausted.”

And sore, she thought with a wince as her womb contracted, and one day postpartum. Logan clucked his tongue at the baby, getting his attention while he gathered the newborn into his arms. Ororo pouted, turning it into a smile when Daddy settled beside her on the bed.

Amused as hell, she watched while he expertly juggled the baby and bottle, succeeding in getting the plastic nipple into Charlie’s eager mouth. For several seconds there were only sounds of lusty swallows while the new addition devoured his meal. Ororo kissed his head, running fingers over the soft hair.

“Feel ok?” Logan asked, watching her cautiously.

“Just making sure I’m not dreaming.” She responded, meeting his dark gaze. “Am I really home?”

“Yep,” he answered with a slight smile. “Hank basically told the government you were bein’ treated at a private medical facility.”

She frowned. “Have they dropped the charges?”

“Still debatin’.” He shifted so the baby rested more comfortably in the crook of his arm. “Trish’s out there whippin’ the public up. Man, she’s mean when you piss her off.”

Ororo all-out grinned. “That’s our girl.”

They lapsed back into silence, both parents looking down at the feeding infant. His eyes were heavy lidded, as though the warm meal were lulling him into a coma. Fists clenched at his chest, Charlie regarded both parents seriously.

“You did good,” Logan said quietly.

“The baby or escaping?” She teased, winking at him.

“Well, baby’s perfect, but we knew that.” He chuckled. “I meant gettin’ away.”

Trying to avoid memories of that place, of the fear, the unknown, she shrugged one shoulder. Settling against the headboard beside her mate, Ororo kept her eyes on Charlie. She’d never tire of looking at him. Her little boy, the son they both fought so hard for, was finally here.

“I was terrified.” She spoke in a pained whisper. “I could barely think. Half the time, I was running on rage and instinct.”

“Me, too.” He told her, leaning to kiss Charlie’s head. “But it’s done, now, ‘Ro. Trask and Stryker are gone. You’re safe.”

Smiling, Ororo turned to kiss his cheek, then Charlie’s. “We all are. No matter what the government says or does, we’ll get through it.”

Logan exhaled slowly, meeting her eyes. There was hope there, Ororo thought. Hope and love and something that reminded her of contentment. With just the three of them, in the bedroom they would share, was right in some way. Light poured through the windows, mingling with the hint of spring on the breeze.

Come what may, she intended to enjoy this morning.

“Oh, hey,” Logan spoke suddenly, laughter in his eyes. “You didn’t hear about Kitten, did ya?”

Confused, Ororo shook her head. “I’ve been in prison.”

“Convict,” he teased. “Well, funny thing about Kitten…she’s gonna make Pete a daddy.”

Her mouth dropped open. Logan laughed. Charlie decided he’d had enough and spit up all over his father’s shirt.

It was good to be home.
Chapter Twenty-Two: Trish by Gaineewop
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Chapter Twenty-Two: Trish

I thought you'd be out of my mind
And I'd finally found a way to learn to live without you
I thought it was just a matter of time
Till I had a hundred reasons not to think about you
But it's just not so
And after all this time, I still can't let go
~The Cult



The day Charlie Munroe turned two months old, Logan carried him into the packed Senate room, glancing about carefully. Ororo followed him, her head held high, a diaper bag over one shoulder. Charlie immediately began to squirm against his father’s hip, trying to look at everything at once.

Storm was summoned to Washington for a hearing that would decide her fate. For eight weeks, the Senate allowed her to recover from the kidnapping and forced childbirth. Logan figured Hank had something to do with the brief reprieve, even if their friend grew more reclusive as the weeks wore on.

Capitol Hill was jam packed with members of the government and the international press. Most believed that this hearing would decide the outcome of mutants everywhere. If Storm was found to be dangerous and incarcerated for crimes against humanity, the precedent would likely sweep the globe until hundreds or thousands of mutants were similarly imprisoned.

The clamor of a thousand languages echoed from the press section of the room, but Logan turned at the sound of Patricia’s voice. She stared into the camera filming her, the stance confrontational and her words clipped with anger. While Ororo and Logan enjoyed their new son, Trish rampaged through New York and Washington like a plague, gathering support for her friend.

Ororo took Logan’s free hand as the press turned on them. Cameras flashed, startling little Charlie, whom immediately began to wail. Logan shushed his son as well as he could, trying to protect young eyes from the torrent of light. Ororo moved between the baby and the cameras, asking the reporters politely to stop frightening her baby.

Many of them ignored her, so Logan snarled menacingly. Charlie burrowed into his father’s arms, as though knowing the sound brought protection. Ororo steered her boys toward the awaiting committee chairs, where Hank waited with Colonel Goldstein.

“Colonel.” Ororo grinned, stepping around Logan to embrace her former warden.

Goldstein still nursed wounds from her kidnapping and appeared in D.C. firmly on Storm’s side. He’d given Trish Tilby an exclusive on the abduction, relaying to a salivating public how Storm tried desperately to help her guards before sedated by the late Bolivar Trask.

It hurt his beloved when she learned Lucky, her prison Spades partner, died in the attack. He’d taken a bullet for his charge, trying to buy her an escape route. He never knew his sacrifice was in vain, but Storm and Goldstein ensured the American people “ as well as the young man’s family “ knew of his heroism.

“You’re ravishing,” Goldstein said as Logan took a seat behind the partition separating the viewers from the committee. “Motherhood agrees with you.”

“You flatter me,” Ororo replied, indicating to her son. “You’ve met Logan, of course, and this is Charles Lucas.”

Goldstein’s face reflected momentary pain as he easily shook Logan’s hand respectfully. “Lucas…after Lucky?”

“Yeah,” Logan answered, handing a still-whimpering Charlie to his mother. “Least we could do.”

“He’d be proud.”

The two men shared a quick, telling glance before Ororo leaned over to speak with McCoy. Beast held his hands out for Charlie, who went to his godfather with a squeal of delight. For some reason, Hank’s bestial appearance made Charlie happy as a hog in shit. The baby tugged on Hank’s blue fur, cooing madly at him.

“Someone’s a hero,” Goldstein teased, offering Ororo the seat between himself and Hank.

“He adores me, what can I say?” Hank tossed back, winking at Ororo. “And how is my favorite godson?”

Charlie giggled, batting at Hank’s nose with unabashed affection.

Logan took the diaper bag from Ororo, placing it between his feet with Charlie’s car seat carrier. He’d never known how much stuff a baby required. Their rooms back home were strewn with toys, tiny clothing, furniture and bottles. It seemed Charlie used more crap than most of the kids at Xavier’s…combined.

But his son, Logan mused while watching Beast play with the infant, lit up the world. Charlie’s easy going personality and hearty baby-laughter became the center of his world. The new parents often fought over whose turn it was to feed, bathe, or even diaper their little bundle of joy. Logan thought he might have to convince Ororo to have another, just to even up the playing field a little.

Senate members were watching the family carefully, as though mentally cataloging the antics for their files. Ororo spoke quietly with Goldstein, leaving Hank to the baby and Logan to check out the rest of the room.

It looked exactly as it had on TV, he thought. Long rows of seats winding down to the podiums and press benches. There were monitors and papers all over the desks for the government members, likely files and folders pertaining to Ororo’s case. Most of the seats were filled, their owners staring directly at Ororo and Logan.

Fear or loathing marked many of the faces, but Logan distinctly noticed that most watched with detachment or small, understanding smiles. Perhaps Ororo was right. Bringing Charlie just proved that she was human. Not only a mutant and fighter, but also a mother, a lover, a friend. Though he hated thinking of his son as a tool, it might be little Charlie’s presence that set his mother free.

“Here comes the Speaker of the House,” Hank said quickly, kissing Charlie’s dark cheek. “All right, son, wish Mother luck and behave for Papa.”

Ororo quickly took her baby, snuggling him close and whispering in flawless Swahili. Baby clung to mother, as though he sensed something important was about to happen. But when Logan reached for him, Charlie went to his father without so much as a whimper.

“We’ll be fine,” Logan whispered to Ororo, earning a small smile. “Everything’s gonna be fine, darlin’.”

“I love you,” she mouthed silently as the Speaker was announced.

“We love you, too. Don’t we, boy?”

She turned back to the proceedings, folding her hands demurely in her lap while the Senate rose in respect before sitting. Logan reached into the diaper bag, pulling out a set of plastic rings for Charlie to gnaw on. The baby lounged quietly in his lap, paying no heed to what the adults were doing around him.

The Speaker came forward, standing at the podium. He was a tall man of Irish decent, with trimmed blonde hair and a slender build tucked into a sedate suit. Howard Rothschild voted as a Conservative, but often leaned in favor of mutants. Logan watched the man with narrowed eyes as he shuffled the papers of his speech and cleared his throat.

“Today the United States Government is in the spotlight. Well, more accurately, the hot seat.” His voice, trained for public speaking, rang throughout the suddenly silent hearing room. “The issue of mutants and public safety, I fear, is far from resolved. But, we’re not here to debate on the status of mutants around the country or the world. Instead, there is one life, one mutant at stake here.”

He paused, casting a blue-eyed glance throughout the room. “The mutant known as Storm, now publicly revealed as Ororo Munroe, was incarcerated without trial by a former member of the US government. His actions, while not directly sanctioned by the Senate or the House, were allowed. His excuse, at the time, was for the protection of the country. Bolivar Trask, whom died two months ago, made decisions that nearly ended a life.”

Murmurs echoed around the room, but Rothschild went on. “After the altercation at Alcatraz Island three years ago, mutants lost what little ground they claimed in the governments around the world. But we must look closer at this incident. Storm and her team, codenamed the X-Men after their late mentor, came into the battle not to destroy humanity, but to save it.

Hundreds of American soldiers and innocent scientists were saved that fateful night, even if Munroe herself loathed the very thought of a “mutant cure”. She did what she thought was right, leading her students into battle on the side of humanity, of freedom. All this is public knowledge, which I feel was forgotten in the wake of Secretary Trask’s mindless crusade.”

“Aw, hell,” Logan whispered to his son. “Looks like Mama converted a heathen. Go, Storm, eh?”

The baby ignored him.

“This committee was convened to discuss the fate of Ororo Munroe. The United Nations closed its case on her just after a terrible abduction that led to forced childbirth. Munroe and her newborn son nearly died at the hands of Secretary Trask’s partner, William Stryker. We have come to a point where a vote must be decided. Has Ororo Munroe truly acted criminally or do we, as the American people, owe her and her X-Men an apology?”

The Speaker looked around the room again, his eyes aflame with conviction. Logan exhaled sharply, trying to will the constriction in his chest to ease. He didn’t want to hear them condemn Ororo, or take her away from both the man she loved and the son she fought for.

Once the Speaker moved aside, another congressman took his place. This one, Logan knew, rallied support favoring the incarceration of Storm and the study of her infant son.

“What the Speaker has failed to mention is the power this mutant possesses.” Gregory Smithe announced, his tone scathing. “Storm wields the power to manipulate the weather. If she has a temper tantrum, she could destroy the world with a domino effect of raging storms. Do we allow such power to run unchecked throughout the world?

Added to her powers, the man who fathered her illegitimate child killed dozens of men in his foolhardy rescue of Storm. Killed dozens. Why isn’t he on trial as well? Mutants may share our world, but the governments must ban together to protect the innocent from their powers and agendas.”

Logan felt his blood rise and Charlie dropped his toy. The baby began to squirm, then cry. He reached for his mother as Ororo turned involuntarily at the sound. She stood, not caring that the entire world was watching her, and pulled her baby into her arms.

A bell sounded. The Speaker addressed a congresswoman in the fourth row.

“Mary Wight from Oregon now has the floor.”

The slim, middle-aged woman stood. “I would like to hear from the accused herself. I believe, in this country, the defendant always has the right to speak on his or her own behalf.”

Logan caught the barely perceptible grin Rothschild flashed her.

“Of course.” Rothschild immediately turned to Storm, whom was bouncing little Charlie expertly. “Miss Munroe, would you like to speak?”

“Yes, I would.”

Though Logan reached for the baby, Ororo merely stepped around the wooden table at which she’d been sitting. She carried their son up the steep steps to the podium, causing a stir when she refused to release her infant.

“My name is Ororo Munroe. I am a mutant known as Storm.” She paused, her tone ringing through the tomb-silent room. Logan inwardly applauded his love. Only that woman could turn a vocal tone to ice. “I am a teacher. A leader. A friend. And yes, a mother. My son may be considered illegitimate, but I fail to see how that is anyone’s business, save my own.”

“I adore that woman,” Hank whispered to Goldstein. “I really do.”

“For three years, my integrity, moral code, and lifestyle have been called into question. I never asked to be a mutant, but I have learned to live with it.” She paused again. “Three years ago, just before the mutant known as Magneto destroyed the Golden gate bridge and waged war on humanity, I lost my family. My adoptive father and brother were killed by the Phoenix. Though I knew that powerful creature, that troubled soul, I knew no other had the power to destroy her.

I gave the order for one of my X-Men to stop her. We did. We fought beside men like Colonel Goldstein, not because we believed we mutants are a sickness to be cured, but because my father always told me that freedom was absolute. I have no regrets in my life. I did what I thought was right and I cherish the lives we saved at Alcatraz Island as surely as I mourn the ones we lost. On both sides.”

Her eyes swept the room one, final time. “So decide as you must. Condemn me for being born, for fighting for freedom. Release me so that my son has a mother and my school a leader. Either way, you will not change who I am and I will never “ not for one moment “ believe that I deserved to be incarcerated, kidnapped, and nearly killed.”

With that, she stepped down, holding her son carefully on her hip. Rothschild moved to steady her as she descended the wooden steps. Ororo moved immediately to her seat, dropping Logan a trembling smile.

“You did good, darlin’.” He replied, winking at her.

“Let us hope it was enough.”

Rothschild took to podium again. “I believe we are ready to vote.”

Logan leaned forward, taking Ororo’s free hand as they both stared straight ahead.

“All in favor of Ororo Munroe’s release?”

They voted quickly, pressing buttons on the electronic screens. Even the press went silent, cameras clicked almost absently.

“All opposed?”

Again the buttons were mashed. Rothschild excused himself for a moment, looking over the findings recorded by a government computer. He returned to the podium seconds later. Ororo’s grip on Logan’s hand tightened.

“Ororo Munroe, all charges are hereby dropped and your record expunged.” He continued while the press clamored and voices rose. “You have the apology of this government and our best wishes for yourself, and your son. This committee is now adjourned.”

Congressmen and women began to gather their things. The press surged forward, trying to get a sound byte for the evening news, comments from the Senate speakers. Many of them merely ignored the jittery press, but several stopped to give curt comments.

Ororo stood, holding her son to her breast and faced Logan. He abandoned the diaper bag and carrier seat, coming around the partition to embrace his family. They barely heard Goldstein’s congratulations, ignored Hank’s booming tone as he answered press questions. She was shaking in his arms, trembling as Logan had never felt before.

“It’s over,” he whispered, kissing her hair. “It’s all over, darlin’. You’re comin’ home with me and Charlie.”

“Thank the Goddess,” she whimpered, her one-armed hold tightening. “I was afraid for a moment. I thought they would surely take me again.”

“Not a chance, baby.” Logan pulled back to swiftly kiss her lips. “You’re not goin’ anywhere but home.”

Ororo sniffled, trying to control her emotions before the skies darkened. Logan cupped her cheeks, even as Charlie tried to wiggle between them.

“Miss Munroe! Logan!”

Trish was calling for them, admitted through security by Hank’s quick nod. Storm turned, smiling at her friend, whom glowed with victory as surely as they did.

“Can I just have a quick moment?” Tilby questioned. “How do you feel?”

“Exhausted,” Ororo said, laughing slightly. “This entire venture has been emotionally and physically trying. And I don’t think the fight for mutant rights is going to be easier, but I am relieved to be going home with my family today.”

“Perfect.” Trish said, motioning for the camera crew to stop filming and take her microphone. “Now, hand over that baby and no one gets hurt.”

Ororo laughed, really and truly. She shifted, handing a wiggling Charlie to the bouncing Trish. The raven-haired reported cooed at the baby, snuggling him close while reporters turned to capture the moment.

“Trish?” Hank interjected quietly. “Your reputation as neutral is going to be in tatters.”

“I don’t care,” she replied, looking at him over her shoulder. “I’ve been offered a chance to head a new magazine, anyway. In Depth with Patricia Tilby. Bias won’t really matter, as it’s largely editorialized. I start next month.”

Logan watched them both, resisting the urge to knock their heads together. Ororo glanced at her lover, shaking her head sadly. Two months and still the air between them was arctic. Hank never even spoke Trish’s name anymore, even on the rare occasions she turned up at the mansion to see Ororo and Charlie.

“Congratulations,” Hank murmured before moving away.

“Comin’ over tonight, Trish?” Logan asked shrewdly, earning him an elbow-jab from Ororo. “Think we’ll be celebratin’.”

She grinned, flashing pearly white teeth and dimples. “More time with my godson? I’m there. I can swing by around six, if that’s all right?”

“That sounds good.” Ororo agreed, taking the baby and kissing her friend’s cheek. “Come on, boys. I want to go home.”

~**~


Several hours later, Hank McCoy found himself sitting on Ororo’s bed while she skillfully changed Charlie’s soiled diaper. She hummed under her breath, entertaining the baby while she cleaned and powered. Watching her being a mother, Hank felt that now-familiar twist to his heart.

God, he missed Trish. Just seeing her briefly at the hearing brought back the pain of separation. How many times had he resisted the urge to show up at her New York apartment and beg her to take him back? Lying awake in the stillness of night, he remembered the feel of her curled into his arms, the gentle sighs as she slept peacefully. The memory of her in his old Washington apartment, lying innocently on his bed with that raven hair spilled over a white pillow, burned and twisted until the grief was alive inside him.

Ororo and Logan both tried to talk about Patricia, to understand what he was going through. Hank resisted them at every turn, changing the subject or leaving the room. Falling into the routine at Xavier’s, he taught, minded children, and lived while his heart openly bled.

Did she have to be so beautiful? Why couldn’t they have just understood one another that awful night in the sunroom? For all of the Beast’s famed intellect, he’d twice let a woman walk out on him, even when his heart begged, pleaded for her to turn around.

Looking back to Ororo as she grinned down at her son, Hank exhaled a shaky breath. Little Charlie, so loved and celebrated, squirmed while he was diapered and redressed. Ororo giggled soundlessly at his antics, screwing her face into something silly that made her son howl with mirth.

He had always known Ororo would make an exceptional mother. With the Wolverine so resolutely at her side, she reveled in the life they created. Though her son was born into fear and madness, Ororo and Logan fought to rear him in calm, in freedom. Hank yearned for that kind of peace.

Oh, he’d loved Ororo in his youth; there was no mistaking that. But he ached for Trish with every fiber of his being. No, he did not love that fiery reporter more, merely differently.

“Here.” Ororo dropped Charlie into her friend’s hands, coming around to sit beside him. “It’s hard to stay gloomy when that boy’s in a good mood.”

Charlie squealed with delight, batting at Hank’s nose again. Softened by his previous thoughts and the youthful innocence, he inhaled Charlie’s soothing scent before turning to look at his mother.

Ororo crossed her legs at the knees, looking soft and maternal in her worn jeans and soft t-shirt bearing the logo “Sexy Mama”. She’d let her hair grow long, sweeping it into a ponytail while she cleaned up her messy son.

“He’s precious, Ororo.” Hank whispered. Charlie attempted to stand, so Beast caught him under the arms and lifted so he could practice.

“I know it,” she replied, reaching over to tickle her son. “But he’s not why you followed me up here from where Logan is being male.”

Outside, while summer bloomed all around, Logan manned the grill in preparation for a celebration of Ororo’s release. Hank was usually comfortable with Logan now, but had needed the solace of Storm’s counsel. He hated to bring up the dark spot in his world, and tried to resist the urge to spill his proverbial guts to her.

“You can tell me anything, Henry.” Ororo urged quietly. “Whatever is said stays between you, me, and Charlie. As he can’t talk yet, I’m fairly sure your secrets are safe with him.”

Hank looked to the baby, whom grinned and drooled charmingly. The pain stabbed at him again, taking his breath away.

“I hurt. God, I hurt.”

The words were out before he made the decision to reveal them. Tears prickled the back of his eyes and he sniffled in an attempt to control them.

“I know, darling.” Ororo replied softly. “In fact, I think I used those exact words to Jean after I stormed “ pardon the pun “ out of your office that day.”

Hank choked, turning to her sharply. “If I made you feel this, I deserve to be shot, burned, and buried alive.”

“Shh.” She quieted him, scooping the baby out of his arms. Settling Charlie on his belly so he could practice crawling, Ororo came back up to embrace her friend. “Oh, Hank. It wasn’t right for us. We know that now. But the hurt…the hurt just proves it’s real.”

Undone, Hank returned the embrace, fighting the tears he knew were already rolling down his cheeks. “I forced the two women ever to posses my heart to walk away. For you and I, it was the best. But now…”

“Its not, Henry.” Ororo pulled back, tilted his face up with gentle fingertips. “Hank, you’re stupid in love with Trish. She’s the other half of you, just as Logan is for me. Why aren’t you fighting for her?”

“The things I said…”

“Don’t matter.” She took a deep breath, kissed his cheek. “Every time she calls me, there’s a pause and she asks after you. Damn it, Hank, there’s still a chance.”

He didn’t want to believe her, to have the hope bloom in his chest until it shoved the pain away. Hank was ever one to plan. With Ororo, their relationship consisted of steps. Flirtation. Dating. Intimacy. Engagement. Marriage. Children.

Trish made all plans fly out the window. He wanted to be impulsive, to listen to the heart so bruised in his chest. His head ruled with Ororo and insecurity ended that blushing love before it could see fruition. In retrospect, yes, it had been for the best. Logan completed Ororo in a way Hank could never match.

And, by God, Trish made Henry whole, filling up places he’d never known were empty.

“What do I do, Ororo?” He asked in a whisper. “How can I fix this?”

“Stop thinking.” Another kiss to his opposite cheek. “Follow that heart, Henry. We saw, thanks to Stryker, that our lives can change in a single moment. If you were to die today, would you be able to leave her behind this way? Or would you want her to know that you love her more than anything in the world?”

His shoulders straightened. “By God, you’re right. When did you get so wise?”

Ororo smirked, reaching down to take her baby again. Charlie yawned sleepily, cuddling into his mother’s arms with the serenity of security. “I had two wonderful teachers.”

She stood, reaching for his hand. “Enough sadness. Wipe those tears away and come have a beer with me.”

Lighter, Hank took her hand in his, allowing her to pull him up. Together, they left her room as Charlie fell asleep on his mother’s shoulder. Hank steeled himself for the inevitable. When next he saw Patricia, he would tell her everything he felt.

He only hoped the door wouldn’t slam behind her this time.

~**~

A beer in hand, Trish stood beside Logan while he manned the grill in the balmy summer dusk. He’d greeted her warmly, inviting her outside and shoving the Molson into her hand while the children engaged in a late volleyball game.

Kitty Pryde-soon-to-be-Rasputin watched the game, howling with laughter every time one of her friends did something silly. Angel and Marie, on opposing teams, tossed smoldering looks to one another as they attempted to win their “friendly” tussle.

“So, when did that happen?” Trish asked Logan, nodding toward Angel and Rogue.

“Right after we got back from rescuin’ ‘Ro.” He shook his head at them. “He’s good for her.”

“They’re adorable,” Trish agreed, smiling at Kitty. “And your Kitten’s starting to show. She looks happy.”

“Baby’s doin’ great,” Logan replied cautiously. “Pete’s like a hen, always on her ass to slow down. She phased the other day and I swear to Christ, he busted a blood vessel.”

Trish laughed, clutching her belly as it rolled over her. Logan gave her a brief grin, tipping his Stetson back with the neck of his bottle. She adored the Wolverine, Trish thought as she hopped up onto the wooden railing of the deck. Her shorts shifted to barely cover her backside, and she swung her flipflops from the edge of her toes.

The mansion felt so much like home now, with Ororo back and Charlie born. Trish loved being here, steeping in the warm, mismatched family that Xavier left in his wake. Had she been able to withstand being around Hank, she might not ever leave.

Thinking his name brought the familiar pain back. She thought, by now, he’d be out of her system. What a foolish idea, Trish mentally chided. Loving Hank for nearly half her life left him under her skin in ways no other could boast. Her lover, her friend abruptly left her life, leaving her alone and cold. Sleep became more and more elusive, as she frequently reached out for the furry form she knew wouldn’t be there.

“Gonna have to talk to him, pumpkin,” Logan interrupted her melancholy thoughts. “Not talkin’ ain’t doin’ either of you any good.”

“Am I that transparent?” She questioned, blushing a little.

“Yeah.” Her companion agreed before taking a long draw of his Molson.

Chewing over this for a moment, letting the pain reflect in her tone, Trish toyed with her beer bottle. “Ever feel like your heart’s breaking over and over again? Like you’ll bleed to death from it, but nothing cauterizes the wound?”

Logan was silent for a beat, then glanced at her from beneath his Stetson. “Yeah. After ‘Ro miscarried. Not the same, I know, but that pain don’t just leave. It grows and grows until it’s the only thing left. I tried runnin’ from it. All that got me was more pain.”

Touched by his honesty, by the love echoing in the feral’s words, Trish wiped at her wet cheeks. “I love him, Logan.”

“I know.” He reached over to sympathetically pat her knee. “But whinin’, cryin’ don’t fix much.”

“Yeah? What will?” Partly angry, partly injured, she glared at him.

“Beggin’.” Dark eyes pinned her, making Trish shift uncomfortably. “Go in that house, tell him you love you, throw yourself on his mercy.”

“What if…” She inhaled and exhaled slowly. “What if he just turns away? Won’t that make the hurt worse?”

Logan regarded her quietly for a moment. “What he don’t? You willin’ to live with that?”

Before she could respond, Ororo came through the back door, holding a slumbering baby on her shoulder. Trish tried to collect herself, her heart and womb aching at the sight. God, it felt like just yesterday that Storm’s pregnancy was revealed and Trish told Hank, on no uncertain terms, that she wanted his children.

God, she still did. She wanted to cuddle up in his arms when life got rough, to laugh with him with things went right. It was worse, she thought, to know what those things felt like. Years of unrequited love were hard, but losing what she had found in Hank was more than she could bear.

“There’s my woman,” Logan was saying as Ororo came down the steps. “And one tired baby.”

“Hank’s getting the portable crib for him.” The white-haired mutant replied, catching sight of Trish. Her smile widened. “Hello, there. I see Logan took care of you.”

“He’s awesome. Where can I get one?” Trish smiled back, but even she knew it was half-hearted.

“I’m one of a kind, darlin’. But if ‘Ro don’t mind sharin’…” He winked, left the innuendo hanging on the balmy breeze.

Storm immediately scowled. “If my hands were free, I’d hit you.”

“Aww, now, darlin’, don’t be that way.” He was grinning, the love swelled between them until Trish could almost touch it.

She wanted that. The knowledge that someone loved her, to love back just as fiercely. Damn it. Logan was right. She couldn’t just let it go, never knowing if Hank still loved her.

Trish hopped down from the rail. “Where’s Hank?”

Startled, Ororo turned to her, away from the fire in Logan’s eyes. “The nursery. I sent him back up when Charlie…”

But Trish had already deposited her beer on the grill and bolted inside. The house was eerily silent with everyone out on the Great Lawn, enjoying their freedom. Navigating the halls with the confidence of a frequent visitor, Trish took the stairs two at a time, her heart pounding madly in her chest.

What would she say? How to say it? God, she prayed when she reached Ororo and Logan’s open bedroom door, don’t let it be too late.

“Hank?”

“Yes?”

She peered curiously into the room, finding her beloved Beast hauling the heavy portable crib out of Storm’s closet. The bedroom was large, filled with baby things. But a leather X-men uniform was visible just inside the closet. A feminine bathrobe tossed over the vanity chair, a pair of masculine jeans waiting patiently on the edge of the bed.

A family lived here, Trish thought as she grasped the doorknob to steady herself. If she closed her eyes, she could imagine it was her bedroom, with Hank’s things thrown about with hers. She could wish that the baby who slept in this room was theirs, that they’d celebrated their love by bringing a new life into the world.

Blue and enormous, the object of her search stood amid the familial clutter, blinking at her dazedly. Her heart clenched again, the pain of being face to face with the man that stole her heart coming back in full force.

“Is something wrong?” The innocent question held a hitch in the tone. That hitch gave Trish hope.

“Yes.” She answered breathlessly. “Yes, there’s something very wrong.”

He froze. Did he see the pain in her eyes, the tears already rolling down her cheeks? Trish inhaled deeply, trying to control her emotions when she knew it was futile. Damn, but Hank was still gorgeous, still wonderful. What kind of fool walked out on him?

“Trish?”

His question snapped her back to reality. “My whole life is wrong, Hank. It’s not hard to see why. I’ve thought about you every day. I’ve wanted to beg, to plead, until you take me back.”

Hank startled, but he stayed in place, staring at her. “Trish…”

“I love you, Hank, damn it.” She nearly shouted, tears splashing down her front. “I can’t take this anymore. I want you back and if I have to bring down the moon and stars to prove it, I will.”

“Patricia,” Hank swallowed audibly. “What are you saying?”

She stepped into the room, releasing her hold on the doorknob. “I was stubborn and prideful and I won’t ever regret taking that story. I needed to do it, not for Storm or mutants, but for me. What I do regret is letting work come between us. I love you, Henry. I don’t want to be without you any more.”

The portable crib dropped to the carpeted floor with a bang. She flinched from the resonating sound, but remained where she stood.

Hank blinked at her, tilting his head as though she were speaking a language he wasn’t familiar with. She distinctly saw the tears flood his eyes, magnifying that clear blue. Trish took a step toward him, hope blossoming until it overtook the fear.

“Tell me you still love me, and I’m yours for the rest of my life.” Trish exhaled sharply. “But if you don’t, I’ll go away and you won’t have to worry about me anymore.”

Hank sobbed, the sound caught in his throat. “Trish, I’ve never loved anyone the way I love you. I don’t want this pain between us. I want you back and I have since the moment you walked out the door. I love you. I love you.”

She flew across the room, trusting him to catch her when she leapt into his arms. All the pain of months apart drifted away the instant his arms came around her. They were both crying, not bothering to care if that made them both weak.

“I’m sorry,” Trish whispered, kissing his cheeks. “I’m so sorry, Blue. Please forgive me. I’ll do anything.”

“Shh,” Hank quieted her, setting her down to cup her face with massive hands. “There is nothing to forgive. We were both stubborn. God, I’ve missed you.”

“Stay with me,” she wept quietly. “Don’t let go, Blue.”

“Never.”

His lips came to hers, soft and yielding. She wrapped him in her arms, heart beating madly with exultation. He still loved her, still wanted her. Trish vowed to spend the rest of her life earning that love.

“Marry me.”

The demand startled her when they parted, but Hank’s eyes refused to break contact.

“Are you serious?” Trish whispered, wondering if her heart would just give out from the mad tattoo it was playing against her breast.

“Yes.” Hank leaned down to kiss her again, speaking against her lips. “Marry me, Patricia.”

Giddy, thrilled, loved, she nipped at his bottom lip. “How’s next Sunday suit you?”

He hauled her back into his arms, grinning wildly.

“Perfect. Just perfect.”
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=2216