The Sweet and Low Down by Pandora
Summary: Ororo, Logan and the rest of the crew are teachers at Xavier's . Ro and Lo are the best of friends. Ro's dating Hank. Scott & Jean are engaged and life is good. But things change... This is my first fic, so please any and all feedback is welcome
Categories: NC-17 Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 39570 Read: 23477 Published: 02-10-07 Updated: 04-11-07

1. 1. The Wolf Stands Alone by Pandora

2. 2. I would've said no. by Pandora

3. 3. Those Succulent Gobblers by Pandora

4. 4. The Ro and Lo Show by Pandora

5. 5. Next of Kin by Pandora

6. 6. Shock and Awe by Pandora

7. 7. Seven More Days by Pandora

8. 8. Storm in the Blood by Pandora

9. 9. Bill and Coo by Pandora

10. 10. Unchain my heart by Pandora

11. 11. He Hasn't Finished by Pandora

1. The Wolf Stands Alone by Pandora
THUD!

“Aarrgh!” the loud grunt bounced off the high walls of the gym. Ororo landed hard on her back on the exercise mat. Not one to squander an advantage, Logan moved in for the kill.

Sensing his large form coming at her, Ororo shook off her momentary paralysis and arched her back desperately. In one fluid movement, she snapped her leg out allowing her foot to connect with a solid THUNK to Logan’s chin. Using her momentum, she followed through with her other foot and did a back hand spring that Nadia Comaneci would envy.

Stars blossomed behind Logan’s eyes as his head snapped back from the impact of Ororos’ foot. He was just able to catch himself from landing ignominiously on his butt and keep his footing. Shaking his head to clear his senses he saw his opponent flip over and immediately crouch in a fighter’s stance. Even in his momentary daze, he smiled inwardly. Damn but she had gotten good!

Logan went into his own crouch and the two combatants circled each other warily. Only their stentorian breathing punctuated the silence in the gym. Whisky brown eyes honed in mercilessly on blue and each one waited for that infinitesimal sign that the other was planning to attack, all the while looking for any area of weakness to go on the offensive.

But it was not to be. A bell like chime sounded quietly in the room and, like a balloon releasing air, the two opponents relaxed. Ororo allowed herself to fall back wearily on the mat, her breasts heaving madly, her glorious white hair matted to her skull and face. Logan, meanwhile, stretched mightily. His powerful form was in full extension as he moved his head left then right to crack the bones in his neck. He waggled his chin experimentally and was a little chagrined to note that it hurt.

Looking down at Ororo as she lay across the mat, he was reminded of a marionette whose strings had been cut. But what a marionette! Her long lean form was sprawled wantonly on the mat covered floor. Her chest still rose and fell under the black sport bra and her endless legs splayed in opposite directions. His heart might belong elsewhere, but he was a man with a strong appreciation for women and he couldn’t help but be reminded that his best friend was one damned hot looking woman.

Wandering over to the edge of the floor he picked up two water bottles and came back to settle beside her. Her eyes peeked open as she felt him drop down next to her. Sitting up herself, she reached greedily for the bottle.

“Bless you!” She moaned and proceeded to chug down the water.

Logan grunted and drank down his own water. The two stretched in companionable silence as their breathing regulated and their bodies cooled down.

“That was some move at the end there” He finally said breaking the silence.

Looking over she grinned giddily “I almost set you on your ass, buddy.”

“Almost don’t count, Darlin’” He smirked standing up and reaching a hand down to help her up.

Making their way over to where their bags sat, the two friends chatted amiably.

“Hank and I are going to the Blue Room tonight. Why don’t you come along and bring your mysterious girlfriend. It’ll be fun. Hank went to the mall to get a new haircut, we can make fun of it.” Ororo’s tone was light and breezy but her eyes were intent as she watched his reaction closely. She knew he was seeing someone. And not just one of the random women he’d pick up, date for a week or two and drop to move on to the next. This one was different.

“I ain’t got a girlfriend, ‘Ro, I told ya that before.” Not missing a beat Logan gave her a quick swat on the ass and a leer “you’re the only girl in my heart.”

Ororo rolled her eyes in exasperation just as he expected her to. But on the inside she wept. She and Logan had hit it off almost immediately when he had started teaching at Xavier’s a little over two years ago. They’d had a lot of common interests and just seemed to gravitate toward each other. But it wasn’t at all romantic. They were the best of friends “ going out to Harry’s to do Tequila shots, playing pool at Red Jack’s, and riding hell-for-leather on his motorcycle. Yup, she was his buddy, his pal, one of the guys.

At first that was fine. Ororo just enjoyed having a coworker and a friend who was such a great companion on so many levels. She even found it genuinely amusing to tease him about his many conquests and the women who went crazy over him. He was not conventionally handsome, but he was a man that women looked at twice. Or three times. And followed home. He seemed to emit some especially powerful pheromone that had women from miles around puddle at his feet, panting for him.

But gradually something had changed for Ororo. Not sure how, or even when, it happened, one day Ororo realized that her amusement at the legion of women Logan dated had grown a bitter edge. Her teasing had become feigned and she could no longer watch with equanimity as Logan slow danced with some bar chippy or came back whistling in the wee hours after a night out with one of his women. She just knew that at some point she had fallen in love with her friend and he was completely oblivious to her feelings for him.

Instinctively, Ororo knew that if she had ever told him how she felt, she’d lose him. Oh, he wouldn’t hate her, exactly. But he’d be aware of her feelings and would feel helpless and guilty that he couldn’t return them. It would slowly, inexorably drive an awkward wedge into their relationship. They would lose their comfort zone. So she continued on as his best bud, making sure he never got even a whiff of her new feelings.

Instead she continued to “laugh” at his conquests and “tease” him about his fan girls. While she herself tried to seek a relationship that would allow her to forget her feelings for him. For long weeks she had thought she had succeeded. Her relationship with Hank McCoy, a biochemistry teacher at the school, was proceeding along nicely. He was falling in love with her and she was very….fond… of him. She was content.

Until Logan started smiling at nothing.

Until Logan started disappearing at odd times and reappearing with a satisfied smirk.

Until Logan stopped picking up bar flies.

Then Ororo realized that Logan had finally met someone. Despite her delicate---and then increasingly not so delicate---probing, he refused to divulge. That was when she realized that this someone was special. And Logan wouldn’t talk about her.

As the two made their way to the exit, Ororo decided try once more.

“C’mon Logan, this is me, you’re talking to.” She snorted and gave him a stern, laughing look. That’s it. Just the right tone girly, you deserve an Oscar, an inner voice mocked her. “Who pretended to be your psycho wife when that little blonde tried to move in?” Hell, throw in an Emmy and a Golden Globe while you’re at it.

Logan just chuckled and swung open the door. Backing down the hall toward his small office where she knew he had his own private bathroom where he’d no doubt grab a quick shower, he threw her a devastating smile. “The wolf walks alone, Darlin’. The wolf walks alone.” And with one last wink at her he turned the corner and disappeared from sight.


~~~/////~~~~/////~~~~~/////~~~~~

A half hour later, Ororo was sitting in the teacher’s lounge grading papers when Scott dropped down in a seat next to her.

“Hello stranger.” She smiled at the handsome young man who shared the Dean of Students duties with her. “I haven’t seen you in a few days. Are you busy counting down your days as a free man?” Ororo laughed a low smoky velvety laugh which unbeknownst to her was the cause of some fevered fantasies among the male students and faculty at the school.

Scott shot her an aggrieved look as he unpacked his lunch which just made her laugh even more.

“Alex is hounding me about a bachelor party. Jean is hounding me about the honeymoon. I’d be happy to tell her, but somehow I was convinced by some people” he shot her a pointed look over the tops of his fashionably tinted glasses “to make it a huge surprise. So I am forced to act like James Bond and keep everything a secret. Do you know how hard it is to make incognito travel plans? Everybody from the hotel, to the car rental place keep sending confirmations. I had to change my email password. And to top it all off, her parents are wondering if they should invite third cousin Irma. She’d have to travel all the way from Arizona to New York during the Christmas Holidays. So we had to listen to her parents complain for an hour why we chose to have a Christmas wedding. And Jean didn’t even know she had a relative named Irma.” He contemplated his ham and cheese sandwich in both misery and puzzlement “tell me again why we aren’t just eloping?”

Ororo found herself chuckling during his recitation but was able answer sympathetically “Because you are in love with a woman who has dreamed of a traditional white wedding all her life. No way would Jean would have ever eloped, sweetness.”

His shoulders slumped and he bit into his sandwich, “You’re right. I love her quite sickeningly and would walk over hot shards of glass to do her bidding. It just seemed so benign when we were discussing this a year ago. Now that it is barely two months away, I find that everything seems to be colliding. I can’t catch my breath. But I’d endure anything because when all is said and done she’ll be my wife and that is what I want more than anything.”

Ororo felt a hot stab of envy deep in her chest as she listened to the simple, heartfelt words of love and devotion Scott spoke. Goddess, what must it be like to be loved that? She wondered silently and a not a little forlornly.

“Hank and I are going to The Blue Room for dinner and fabulous jazz. Why don’t you guys join us?”

“Can’t. I have a review session tonight and Jean is doing some extra tutoring.”

Mentally casting back over the last few weeks, Ororo realized that Jean had been busy doing something every night. If she wasn’t doing her tutoring, she was closeted with Ororo hip deep in wedding planning or working with other faculty in her role as Director of Advising.

“Scott, when was the last time you two had any time alone?” Ororo’s concerned voice cut into his morose reverie.

“I can’t tell you, Roro.” He wadded up the plastic wrap his sandwich had been in and started on his apple. Ro had to smile. Scott was so proper in some ways with his oh so correct ham sandwich followed by his meticulously polished red apple all washed down with 1% milk in a little carton. “If she’s free then I am busy and vice versa. We’re having to squeeze all this wedding stuff in between the teaching and administrative duties.”

“Goddess, Scott, you guys are an engaged couple. You need some romantic time alone. You can’t just ignore each other until you just happen to meet up at the altar.” She turned around and faced him sternly “You need to kidnap her and take her someplace nobody will find you “ the Greenhouse maybe--- and have a romantic picnic followed by a slow, leisurely lovemaking session.”

Scott smiled wistfully at the picture Ororo painted. “I wish. We could do the picnic but sexually we’re off limits til the wedding.”

A pair of white brows rose in utter shock. “Jean never told me this. Since when?”

Scott shrugged “Since about a month ago.” He looked at Roro a bit uncomfortably as if he wasn’t sure he should be talking about something so personal. But truthfully, it was a bit of a relief to be able to talk to someone else. He couldn’t talk to his male friends. Lord knew that Logan or Piotr would have a field day. Especially Logan. He’d make little remarks about Jeannie wearing the pants in the family and calling the shots even before they were married. Or he’d laugh and say that Scott was the first man in history who was pussy whipped without first getting the pussy. Scott shuddered. He knew his friend too well.

“The fact is, Ro, she made this whole speech about how she regretted not being, you know, a -- ” he looked around the nearly deserted room to see if anyone was listening “ “ virgin on her wedding night. So she called off all conjugal relations until then. Said she wanted it to be special for us. She wanted us to anticipate it.”

Ro was silent for a moment and then she smiled “I can actually see Jean saying something like that. It is actually quite nice Scott.”

Not sure whether to be relieved that Roro seemed to understand or disgruntled that she wasn’t outraged on his behalf, Scott simply nodded. “Yeah, I can only hope her anticipation is as great as mine because this celibacy thing is driving me nuts.”

-----/////-----/////-----

“Ugh….Oh, yeah…right there…Ooooh baby right there. You’re hitting my spot. Harder! FUCK me harder….Aaaaahhhhh…..!!” spurred on by the voice of his moaning lover, Logan obliged.

Hitching her legs higher around his waist, he clutched her ass in his hands and drove into her with a renewed ferocity. The powerful muscles in his thighs flexed and his entire body was sheened in sweat. The savage thrusts resulted in a tinny, rhythmic rat-a-tat against the ancient gray locker in Logan’s office. But the lovers were oblivious. Too consumed with lust to even make it to the couch when they started, Logan had taken her up against the locker. Once he’d sheathed himself inside of her, both were insensible to anything else.

“Like….that, baby? Is….that….what…you…want…?” Each word was punctuated with a thrust. Each thrust was answered with a moan.

“Yeah…like that. Ooohhhhh…!!” He knew she was near. She started to become incoherent when she got close. Her movements became more frenzied and her hands clutched at his hair harder. She tried to push her head back but the locker was in her way, so she had to settle with simply closing her eyes and letting her body ride that wonderful cock.

For a moment he let himself revel in the sight before him. Her little pencil skirt was jacked high at her waist, one red stiletto shoe was hanging by one red painted toenail, the other was lying discarded on the floor. Her simple silk blouse was hanging open and her bra was pushed down under her breasts causing them to spill over the top and plump together. He was able to take both cherry red nipples in his mouth at once. Flicking them delicately with his tongue caused her to shriek and buck like a wild thing.

“Oh God!...Oh God!...Oh God!’ She chanted it like a mantra, flinging her head forward so that her hair, once in a demure bun when she walked in, now drifted over his shoulder in a wild disarray, obscuring her face from him.

Her movements were now herky-jerky and she began to keen.

“I’m coming…..ohhhhh YESSSSSS!!!” He felt her inner walls clench and she clamped her legs even tighter around his waist. Unable to bear it, she sank her teeth into his shoulder and rode out her orgasm.

That was his cue. With a grunt he smashed her up against the locker. His powerful arms held her rigid as he pumped, pumped and pumped some more into her. He couldn’t get enough. He wanted to go as deep as he could and stay there. He loved coming inside of her, it was like he was marking his territory. She was his no matter what everyone else thought. No matter what the ring on her finger said.

Feeling his orgasm approaching light a freight train, Logan pistoned into her harder and felt himself release hot spurts into her. He kept moving, unable to stop even after he had been emptied. Finally he stilled.

For long moments there was no sound but harsh breathing and the thumpety-thump of two hearts fighting for normal rhythm. Slowly the two disengaged.

Her other red shoe dropped.

Stumbling like a drunk, Logan dropped onto the small couch in his office, his equally affected partner simply slid down the locker and sat on the floor.

Slowly she began to gather herself together. Her hosiery was a dead loss, so she simply discarded them. She found her panties lying half in and half out of the waste paper basket. Logan watched her through slitted eyes as she shimmied into her underwear, re-adjusted her bra, smoothed her skirt back down, and began to re-button her blouse.

It was like watching a movie in re-wind as the woman slowly reassembled herself.

“We can’t continue like this, Red.” Logan’s deep voice rumbled into the silence.

A pair of green eyes met his for a fleeting moment before dropping away.

“I know.” She answered quietly, her back to him as she began to gather her hair back into its bun.

“Ororo suspects I have a girlfriend. She’s been buggin’ me about going on a double date.”

Jean remained silent, still turned away, still fixing herself.

“Scooter wants a poker night next week.” Logan continued “And he asked me to be in the weddin’” he waited a beat “I said no.”

The only response was a slight tightening of her shoulders.

Logan got angry and stalked over to her, grabbing her and swinging her around to face him.

“What do ya want from me, Jeannie? Huh? What? What do we have here?” His dark eyes bored into face “We been sneaking around to hotels and finding little out of the way places to make love for weeks now. What have we been doing? When are you telling Scott? When are you breakin’ tha engagement?”

Her eyes widened “What? Are you out of your mind? I’m not telling Scott at all. I’m not breaking my engagement.” She was staring at him as if he had grown a second head “Why would you even think that?”

Stunned, Logan dropped her arm “What do you mean? What have these last three weeks been about then?”

Jean sighed. What had she been thinking to start this? She’d known that Logan had fancied himself in love with her from almost the moment he’d arrived to teach at Xavier’s. Hell, the whole school had known. People had teased them and started a betting pool. Over time they had settled into a pattern -- Logan flirted, Scott got annoyed and Jeannie ignored them both. When Scott had finally proposed Logan had seemed to concede that Jeannie wasn’t for him and had laid off the flirting. Everyone assumed that it had been a passing infatuation largely fueled by Logan’s need to challenge Scott’s Alpha male status amongst the faculty. Suddenly the little triangle drama that had provided almost a year of entertainment for the school was over. Scott and Logan had become friends and people turned their attention to other things. Ororo had walked away with a cool eight-hundred bucks, being the only person who bet that Jean wouldn’t succumb to Logan.

If only she knew, Jean thought grimly. With the pressure of the wedding mounting and all the…stuff… seeming to close in on her, Jean had just wanted to get away for a few moments to breathe. She’d run into Logan in the garage working on his bike. Seeing him there, covered in grease, his dark hair unruly and unkempt, his brawny arms rippling with muscles --- he just seemed the anti-Scott. So different from what she’d ever had. From what she’d ever have. She’d been overcome by a spear of lust so sudden and acute that she had doubled over from its impact.

A madness had overtaken her and she’d slowly, as if in a trance, walked to him to run her fingers over his bronzed skin. They had fucked right there, on the floor of the garage. They had simply, brazenly mated amongst the tools and grease. The scent of sex had mingled easily with the scent of oil.

Even then, Logan had muttered words of love and longing. Jean had assumed it was part of his sexual M.O. But she had later realized he had never gotten over his first infatuation with her. Instead he had buried it. And now, thanks to her impulsiveness, it had come roaring back to life, stronger than before. He was in love with her.

And now, he expected…something. Something she couldn’t give. Although Logan was probably the best fuck she’d ever had, she wasn’t in love with him. She wasn’t blind to her own shortcomings. She knew that she was behaving badly. But she was in love with Scott and she wanted to marry him, settle down and have little Summers babies more than she wanted anything in the world. Logan had been a release valve she had desperately needed these past weeks. But he wasn’t the man of her dreams.

Something of her thoughts must have reflected on her face because Logan’s face slowly settled into carved stone.

“You were just fucking me. And fuckin’ with me.” He whispered in a voice of total realization “I been buildin’ a little fantasy that you were gonna throw Scooter over and come to me, when all along you were just gettin’ yer rocks off.”

His bitter chuckle scored her soul. But she said nothing, standing silently letting him come to the correct conclusion. Her eyes tracked him as he sat back on the couch, his head thrown back, hands over his face.

“You need ta go.”

“Logan--- ” She cleared her throat “I am sorry. I didn’t think that this meant more to you--”

“GO!” the word spat like a bullet from his lips.

Before she could turn, the door suddenly pushed open and Piotr stood there a somber look on his ashen face. Jean barely registered him, realizing with shock and dismay that they had forgotten to lock the door. They had gotten careless. Anyone could have walked in. God! She was an idiot!

“Oh, I guess you guys have already heard?” Piotr looked at the pair, their body language telegraphing utter dejection. “Who told you? Have you seen Ororo yet?”

Realizing something was wrong, Logan’s hands slowly lowered from his face and Jean stared uncomprehendingly at Piotr.

Piotr’s gaze flicked from the red head to the muscular guy sitting slumped on the couch. “What? You guys haven’t heard?

“What?” Jean asked starting to become alarmed “Heard what?’

“Oh man,” Pitor’s face crumpled “Hank was killed. He’s dead. Hank is dead.”
2. I would've said no. by Pandora
Dark. Dismal. Dreary. If ever a day reflected a mood this was it. The pewter colored sky overhead wept endlessly above the knot of mourners gathered around the flower bedecked bier. A sea of somber black umbrellas sheltered them from the drizzling, cold rain.

Standing in the shelter of Logan’s arms, Ororo didn’t feel the rain or the cold. She didn’t feel at all. She just felt numb. Hank “ vibrant, lively, brilliant Hank was gone. No more would she listen to him as he ‘geeked out’ explaining some new biological discovery or physics experiment. Gone were the nights of listening companionably to Coltraine’s wailing sax or a Haydn sonata while he rubbed her feet. She’d never again hear him gasp “Oh my stars and garters!” in shock. Ororo always got a kick from hearing the old-fashioned granny phrase coming from such a big, powerful man.

Logan’s arms tightened around her shoulders and his lips grazed her silky white hair as the minister continued to speak in soothing tones, his words all but unintelligible to Ororo. She allowed herself to sink further into Logan.

In the past week he had been her rock. From the moment he had burst into Professor Xavier’s office to see her trembling in shock from the news to now, practically holding her erect, he had been there. At the big rambling house they shared, Logan and her other two housemates, Piotr and Betsy, made sure she at least ate every day. Logan had even handled the traveling arrangements to the Illinois town where Hank had been born and was now being laid to rest.

Such grief. She would miss Hank because he was a truly wonderful human being. But mingled in with her grief was crushing guilt. She knew she didn’t deserve him, what he had felt for her, feeling the way she did about another man. She should have never gotten involved with Hank. At least not until she had gotten over this…this…thing she had for Logan.

A small smile lit her features as she thought back to the night her relationship with Hank changed.


----FLASHBACK-----

One perfectly manicured finger rhythmically tapped the five cards lying face down in front of her. A pair of laser sharp blue eyes swept around the table stopping on each face to consider who might be her biggest foe.

Logan sat slouched negligently in his seat, his cowboy hat pulled low over his brow and an unlit cigar chomped in his teeth. He wore his favorite uniform -- a white wife beater, a pair of well worn, body hugging jeans and his favorite leather boots. Ororo couldn’t see his face under the brim of his hat but she knew he was studying his hand intently. Minor threat she judged.

Scott too was slouched in his chair, his hands clasped across his chest, his head resting against the back of his chair and eyes closed as if he could just fall asleep for all the care he had in the world. His white oxford cloth shirt was crisp and pristine even on this warm June night. He had just raised the pot and Ororo figured he was probably sitting on a pretty nice hand. Major threat, she decided.

Henry had an inscrutable look on his face. His blue-black hair was swept away from his broad, handsome face in a small ponytail. He had stood pat after the last hand and had opened the bet with an impressive amount this round. Semi-major threat, Ororo considered.

Warren, on the other hand, looked a bit worried. He had taken three cards after the last hand and had hesitated over seeing Henry’s opening bid. But he had done so. Ororo figured his hand was probably weak. A pair --- maybe a high pair -- Two Kings? Possible. Or he could be bluffing. The frown that marred his handsome face looked too genuine to be an act Ororo shook her head, Warren was so handsome it was unreal. He had guinea-gold hair, a face that could make Angels weep and he was filthy, dirty, ugly rich! And also the absolute sweetest guy Ro had ever had the privilege to meet. No way was he bluffing. No threat at all, Ro dismissed him.

The other three occupants of the room had already folded for this hand. Piotr was busy scarfing down taco dip. Jean was whispering in Scott’s ear and peeking at his cards, while Betsy was shooting flirtatious glances at Warren.

“Alright, Scooter, I’ll see yer bet.” Logan threw in his contribution to the pot and put his cards in face down, tipping his chair back on two legs he grinned at Scott.

Ororo’s face was a blank mask. She had a strong hand. She merely threw her money in to see Scott’s wager, saying nothing.

It went back around the table. Nobody raised and nobody folded.

“Well, sweetness” came Ororo’s slow drawl directed to Scott “let’s see what you got?”

Scott turned over his cards to reveal a handful of pretty little red hearts. A flush.

“Crud.” Warren snorted disgustedly and threw his hand out in the middle of the table. Ro had been right. He had had a pair of kings.

Henry didn’t even bother to say anything he just good naturedly threw in his straight with a grin, knowing he had lost.

“Well, fuck it. “ Logan was a lot cruder than Warren and revealed his hand. Also a flush, this time with clubs. Except his highest card was a ten while Scott’s had been a Queen.

“I guess I win again, Logan.” Scott smiled widely and inched forward to rake in his winnings.

“Not so fast sweetness.” Ro’s dark velvet voice stopped Scott cold. With a flare for the dramatic, she lay down her cards one by one. Three Aces and two fives. A full house.

The table erupted. Scott sat back with shock while Ororo primly collected her winnings. There was easily two hundred bucks on the table.

“Every time, Every time….” He wailed in an aggrieved tone. “How is it that you always manage to win the biggest hand of the night each time?”

Ororo said nothing just quirked a white brow and started stacking her cash in neat little piles.

Logan took a long swig of his beer but not before flashing her a wicked grin and yanking her ponytail. “Witch!” He murmured in his grumbly deep voice.

“Hey ‘Ro let’s take your ill gotten gains, go to Harry’s and find some men to chat up.” Betsy trilled after giving Ororo a high five.

“I don’t think so, Bets.” Ro stood up, giving her long lean length a mighty stretch. She was oblivious to the appreciative looks of the men around the table as they took in her appealing form. She was dressed as a near twin to Logan: a white tank, jeans that looked painted on and high heeled boots. “Some of those guys in Harry’s scare me. Did you see that guy last week who had no teeth? I think he was only twenty-five years old and yet, not a tooth in his head.”

“C’mon,” she prodded. “It’s early yet, it’s a beautiful night and I think the last time you were on a date, Herbert Hoover was your President.”

Several snickers greeted this comment, Ororo had to smile because Betsy was right “I know, but I’ve been busy.” She cast a look over at Scott and Jean who had relocated to one of the more comfortable chairs in the large sitting room. The two somehow managed to curl around each other like a moebius strip. “Some of us aren’t lucky enough to have our very own snuggle bunnies at home, work and play.” She raised her voice so the two love-birds could hear.

The red head simply raised a middle finger, earning a round of chuckles.

“Bollocks!” Betsy scoffed, biting into a chip “I could name about twenty chaps who’d sell their mothers just to get a smile from you. But you are clueless. You walk about, all serene with that ‘I-am-the-supreme-Goddess-unflappable-Dean-of-Students-I-don’t-notice-mere-mortals’ look. I swear Ro, if you’d deign to look at the little people you’d get a date once in awhile.”

“Betsy we only know other teachers. I don’t want to date another teacher.” Well, just one, a little voice in her head whispered.

There was a little awkward silence as everyone remembered the last time Ororo had been involved with a teacher. He had abruptly left almost on the eve of their wedding, leaving her alone to pick up the pieces and to face the whispers of the staff and students. To this day no one knew why he had left and Ro had never shared.

Piotr abruptly broke the silence, trying to regain the previous lightness “I know for a fact that both Bobby and Jimmy have violent crushes on you ‘Ro.”

“Yeah, and Victor was always hounding you to go out.” Warren piped up helpfully.

Ororo grimaced “Oh great, I am reduced to a pair of hormone crazed adolescents and a pervy ex-teacher who was fired for harassing the female students. No thanks.”

Pretty soon the party started to break up as Ro and Betsy began to clear away the remnants of their game. Jean and Scott took their leave, while Logan, Piotr and Warren were drawn into a deep discussion of last week’s football game.

Henry gathered glasses from the table and followed Ororo to the sink.

“Hey let me take those,” She smiled at him “You go on and hang with those guys. You don’t have to do this.”

“Uh, actually, Ororo…” Hank cleared his throat as a slight flush appeared on his face “I was wondering. Would you care to join me Thursday evening for a…uh…date? There is a lovely string quartet playing at Les Framboises. It’s a ..uh...fundraiser. I had been looking forward to attending but was a bit reluctant as I hadn’t anyone to go with. And well…” he petered into incoherency as she just looked at him with those gorgeous blue eyes.

“Hank, did Logan put you up to this?”

“What…? Logan…? No!” He was clearly surprised by her response. “I’ve been wanting to ask you for some time but you…well, you did not seem very receptive after the business with…uh...--”

“Forge. You can say his name Hank. It doesn’t upset me any longer.” Her tone was even and there was even a slight smile on her face. Liar, her inner voice chided. The thought of him still makes you cringe in shame.

“Yes. Well. Even though you intimated that you’d prefer not to see another teacher, uh, socially, I wish you would reconsider.” Hank took a small step closer and took her hand, “I’ve always been a strong admirer of yours Ororo and I am an honorable man.”

Ororo stared at Hank with an arrested expression, as if seeing him for the first time. He was her friend and had been for years. But this was the first time she considered the possibility of something more. He was quite an attractive man with strong, rugged features. But even for such a big man, there was something almost sinuous and feline about him. She liked Hank, a lot, and wondered if maybe, just maybe he could be what she needed. He was right, he was an honorable man. And if she was honest with herself, she could even now feel attraction to him.

A slow smile worked its way onto her lips. “Sure, Hank. I’d love to. What time shall I be ready?”

An answering smile bloomed broadly on his face.

Unnoticed by the two by the sink, Logan had watched the whole exchange with a slightly worried frown. So when Hank took his leave, Logan slipped out to intercept him before he could enter his car.

“Hank, what are you up to man?” Logan asked from his perch on the porch railing.

‘What do you mean, Logan?” Hank was only vaguely curious. His mood was too good right now. He had asked Ororo out and she had accepted.

“You asked ‘Ro on a date.”

His attention now fully captured, Hank stared at Logan in puzzlement, “Yes, yes I did.”

“You heard her. She had issues with datin’ another teacher. Yet you swooped right in. What’re you up to?”

Hank signed in exasperation. He supposed Logan had to do his big brother routine, since Hank was feeling on top of the world right now, he could humor the man.

“Yes, Logan, I did hear her. But she accepted my invitation, so clearly she is ready to make an exception.”

Logan merely eyed the taller man over the smoking tip of his cigar. Ro & Betsy never let him smoke in the house.

“I just figure with all the shit that happened with Whatshisface, you’d be a bit more sensitive about her feelings. That’s all.”

Feeling his good mood slowly evaporate, Hank drew himself up to his full height and favored Logan with a narrow-eyed look. “I was here when Forge and Ororo were together. I witnessed her happiness first hand. I was also witness to the immense dignity with which she carried herself when he left her practically at the altar without a word of explanation to anyone. I remind you of this because you were not around at the time. I dare say I am a better judge of what Ororo can handle in this regard than you. And if that isn’t adequate, then surely Ororo herself is a good enough judge. She as much said to me this evening that she was completely over what happened years ago.”

Silence reigned for a moment before Logan slowly rose to his feet “Yer right, I wasn’t here when all that went down. But I’ll tell you this. Not long after Jeannie and Scooter made it official, me ‘n ‘Ro went out drinkin. She musta had a few too many cuz suddenly she was telling me a little about this Forge asshole. If you know Ro well then you know that she can look like everything’s coming up daisies with that calm face of hers, but underneath there’s a lot more goin’ on.” Logan carefully snuffed out his cigar and caught Hank in a laser sharp stare. “Think what you will, but that fucker hurt her. You do the same and you’ll fuckin’ eat yer stars and yer garters. Make no mistake.”

Without another word, Logan walked slowly back into the house.


----END FLASHBACK---


Standing before the fireplace mantel in the McCoy family room, Logan blindly stared at the photos that decorated the top as he let the memory of that poker night slide through his mind. Most of the photos were of Hank at various ages -- a smiling, gap-toothed seven-year old, a solemn spit-shined thirteen year old, a mop-haired cap-and-gowned eighteen year old and so on, but they barely registered for Logan.

Hank hadn’t hurt Ororo. As a matter of fact, anyone could see that the big dope was completely gone over her. That poker night happened only five months ago and in just that time, Logan could see a change in Ro. She smiled more, seemed more relaxed and…content. Logan figured she was probably falling for Hank too. Since Ro wasn’t the sort to act giddy even if she was in love, it was kinda hard to tell. But in a small infinitesimal way she had become slightly more reserved with Logan, she held some parts back that she hadn’t before. Logan couldn’t completely put his finger on it, but something was different and he had attributed it to her growing closeness with Hank.

Not wanting to admit, even to himself, that it hurt him a bit to see his best friend pulling away, Logan had shrugged and chalked it up to the fact that it was inevitable that she’d meet someone who would displace him in her life. Shit happened. With a sigh Logan admitted it was probably for the best. If she hadn’t been so involved with Hank she might’ve copped onto what was going on ----correction---- what had been going on with him and Jean.

Even now, Logan could feel his gut boil with a greasy combination of shame and rage when he thought of Jean using him. Realizing that his fists were clenched, Logan breathed deeply, unclenched and looked around the room crowded with mourners for ‘Ro.

Catching sight of her distinctive white hair, he realized that she was deep in conversation with Hank’s mother. Making his way toward her, he studiedly avoided the side of the room where Jean, Piotr, Scott and Professor Xavier were grouped with some members of Hank’s family.

As he got closer, Logan realized something was wrong. Ororo was standing whisper still, her body trembling and tears were dripping silently down her face. Hank’s mother was rubbing her arms soothingly with a distressed yet sympathetic look on her face. Wait a minute, Hank’s mother was comforting ‘Ro? What tha fuck?

Coming abreast of the two women, Logan met Mrs. McCoy’s eyes questioningly.

“Oh, Mr. Howlett,” Mrs. McCoy smiled softly at Logan “maybe you can help me. I’m afraid I’ve inadvertently distressed Ororo when it was my intention to do exactly the opposite.” The woman cast a worried look at Ororo’s silently trembling form. “there is a small den off the kitchen, maybe you can escort her there so she can gather herself.”

Tenderly she handed Ororo off to Logan. Still puzzled, but very concerned, Logan ushered Ororo back to the den. Once there, he closed the door behind them and sat her on a small settee.

Crouching down in front of her, Logan allowed his forefinger to track a silvery tear.

“’Ro…? What’s wrong, darlin’? What’d she say? Tell me, baby, so I can help.” Like many men, Logan was at a loss around a woman’s tears. With Ro, he was terrified.

Ororo’s eyes, the blue looking almost crystalline under the tears met Logan’s. Slowly she unclasped her hands. Until then Logan hadn’t realized that she had been gripping something. It took his mind a minute to catch up with what he was seeing. It was a ring box.

“Hank hadn’t gone to the mall to get a haircut. He went to get a ring.” Her voice sounded rusty, unused “His mother told me that he’d called her the night before and told her that he was planning to propose. They r-returned his effects to….. h-his parents after they released his….. b-body.” Ro’s voice began to hitch uncontrollably “The ring was…. a-a-among the things. His…..m-m-mother knew what it was and she felt that I had a….r-r-r-right to know.” By this time she was trembling again.

Logan sat next to her on the couch and gathered her in his arms. “Oh, baby, I’m so sorry.” He whispered into her hair, rocking her gently. “I’m sorry.”

Tearing herself away, Ororo cast Logan such a look of intensity and pain that he was startled.

“You don’t understand, Logan,” She sobbed “He didn’t go to get a haircut at all. He went just to get the ring. He was going to propose. He was randomly gunned down by a lunatic only because he was at the mall getting this ring.” She was trembling so violently now that Logan wondered that she didn’t just fly apart.

“I don’t….” Logan looked at her helplessly, desperate to aid her, unsure how.

“Logan, I wouldn’t have accepted. He was there only to get a ring to make a proposal that I would have declined. I loved him but I wasn’t in love enough to marry him. I would have said no.” Her voice was a whisper now. “I would have said no. He died for nothing.”

Logan closed his eyes. Oh, God.

“I would have said no.” She whispered again brokenly.
3. Those Succulent Gobblers by Pandora
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters.
____________________________________



“What the hell do I know about buyin’ a turkey?” Logan snarled staring moodily into a large refrigerated bin in the middle of the grocery store. It was sparsely filled with professionally packaged turkeys complete with little mesh carriers.

He was at a complete loss. Ro had sent him to buy turkey to feed twenty-five people. That was how many planned to stay at the school for Thanksgiving break. Usually Professor Xavier had dinner catered in for anyone who chose to stay at the school, but this year Ro was determined to cook it herself. Somehow she had managed to rope half the staff and students into running and fetching for her.

Interrupting his musings, Betsy rounded a corner with a heavily laden shopping cart.

“Logan,” she burst out half irritated, half amused “where are the turkeys? I’ve been waiting by the bloody checkout for twenty minutes.”

Logan slanted a death glare at his violet haired housemate. “I’m trying to decide.” He gritted between his clenched teeth.

Rolling her eyes in exasperation, Betsy deposited the cart next to him “You don’t have to decide. Ororo already ordered the turkeys. You just need to tell that chap over there that you’re picking them up.” Mumbling under her breath she walked toward the high meat counter. Logan thought he caught words like ‘men’ and ‘idiots’ and ‘don’t listen.’

With the trunk of the car loaded with food, the two made their way back to the Xavier Institute. Logan whistled tunelessly to a country western tune on the radio while Betsy shifted restlessly.

“Logan…” she began hesitantly “How is Ororo, really?”

Logan looked at her briefly then hitched his shoulder a bit defensively “You live with her same as I do Bets, how ya think she’s doing?”

“Oh don’t put on Logan. You know what I mean. She’s going about doing that serene Goddess bit.” Betsey was silent for a beat “I think I heard her crying a couple of days ago.”

Logans’ head whipped around “Where? When?” It horrified Logan to think that Ro had broken down at school. But where else would Betsy have heard her crying? You could barely hear shit from one room to the next in the house they lived in. The walls and the doors were thick as hell. And forget trying to hear anything coming from Ro’s third floor rooms. Logan figured Ro could have a howling orgy with the entire Giants defensive line and he, Piotr and Betsy would be none the wiser.

The house they all shared actually belonged to Ro. She had bought the stone farmhouse because she had loved the fact this it was more than one hundred years old and was rock solid.

“Families have lived here Logan,” she had murmured on the day she took ownership of the house. She and Logan had stood in the empty great room, the keys held possessively in her hand. “They don’t make houses like this anymore, with real oak doors as thick as tanks. It is solid and real. It’ll last.”

But the thing that really sold her on the house was the third floor. The previous owners had converted the attic into a lofty, airy space complete with sky lights, a wrap around balcony, a private sitting room and bath. It was its very own apartment. And Ro took it as her own with the intention of renting the other three rooms out. Logan and Piotr, both of whom had been living in dreary studio apartments, had jumped at the chance. Betsy had come along a bit later.

“I couldn’t sleep so I went downstairs to have a cup of tea and I heard sounds coming from the laundry room. It sounded like…sniffles.” Betsy’s liquid almond eyes reflected both worry and a rueful admission “I froze for a tick. I wanted to go in and comfort her, but what if she were, I dunno, blowing her nose or something. So I continued on as if I’d heard nothing. But I felt so terrible about leaving that I popped into her office the next day to ask her if anything was bothering her. But she just smiled and said she was fine. By the time I left her office she was reassuring me. I figure if anyone knows how she’s really doing it is you. You’re her mate.”

Like quicksilver, a mental picture of him and Ro together, mated, flicked across his mind and a warm, pleasant little feeling bloomed to life in Logan’s belly. And then he translated her British to American. Mate = Friend. Got it. The image disappeared almost as quickly as it formed.

“…Well you and Jean, of course.” Betsy continued “But its not like I can just go up to Jean Grey and say,‘fancy a cuppa, dearie? Oh and by the way, what has Ororo told you how she’s going on after Hank’s death?’ I just don’t see myself having a cozy little chin wag with Jean Grey.”

“You got problems with Jean?” His eyebrow quirked, this was news. Betsy and Jean had always seemed to bump along fine.

“Well, she’s a bit of a cold fish, now isn’t she?” Betsy snorted, but then she hesitated for a second before continuing. “You may not be aware, but this is not my natural hair colouring.” Logan sent her an amused look as she waggled a hank of her violently tinted purple locks “my salon is directly across from a Motel 6. About a month or so ago, I thought I saw Jean coming out of one of the rooms in the Motel. I caught a quick glimpse and thought to myself ‘that looks like Jean.’ But before I could even get a more solid look she had turned back to the door and was speaking to whomever it was inside. And it was more than just a conversation, because a hand came out and clasped her bum and the two of them began snogging right there in the doorway.”

Logan’s hands clenched on the steering wheel as a new feeling blossomed to life in his gut. This one wasn’t as warm and pleasant as the last.

“Before I could see anymore, I was whisked away for a rinse.”

“So what’s the big deal? It was probably Scooter. I wouldn’t be surprised if the two of them sneak off now and then for a sexy game of hotel maid and uptight businessman.” He was amazed at how easy and nonchalant his voice sounded in his own ears considering his heart was practically doing the Riverdance in his chest.

“That’s the conclusion I eventually reached. “ Betsy sighed, chuckling a little at Logan’s comment. “Until a bit later that evening, Ro made a remark about being locked up in an all day session with Scott doing student evaluations. As it happens, he was in Ro’s office all day. They even ordered in for lunch. So it wasn’t Scott.”

Logan’s gut clenched even tighter. God, his liaison with Jean was shaping up to be the quintessential Bad Decision of Life. They thought they were being discreet, yet they had been careless on more than one occasion. Hell, at one little motel they had to manufacture a cover story about being horny newlyweds because the proprietor was outraged about renting them a room for only a few hours.

Laboring under the weight of his own self disgust, Logan couldn’t even muster a reply. He just grunted and clicked on the signal to make a turn.

“Look, Logan…” Betsy said urgently “I don’t know why I even mentioned what I thought I saw. I can’t even say with certainty that it was Jean. It could have been anyone. It was irresponsible of me to even speculate. Jean may not be my bosom bow but I certainly don’t want to be carrying tales out of school that may not even be true. I don’t want to be responsible for ruining someone’s reputation. Not to mention hurting someone as nice as Scott in the process. So just forget what I said.”

“I ain’t no gossip.” Logan grunted. Silence once again reigned in the car until he cleared his throat “About, Ro… I know ya think she’s headin’ for a breakdown or somethin’ but just know that she’s fine. Just like she said. She’s dealin’ with other stuff that’s all mixed up with Hank bein’ dead. But she really will be ok.”

“That’s good, then.” Betsy nodded a bit relieved. “I feel better, now.”

Logan wished he could say the same.


-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


The recreation room of the main building of the Xavier Institute was in wild disarray. Cardboard boxes of all shapes and sizes littered the floor, their colorful contents spilling out of the open flaps reminiscent of a crazy cornucopia.

The four occupants had been busily sorting through the boxes looking for table cloths, napkins, place mats and other table settings at the behest of Ororo. They had been charged with finding “suitable and festive table décor” for the Thanksgiving feast. However, they were soon distracted from their merry little task by a picture flashing on the giant plasma screen television in the room.

“The police say they still have no leads in the search for a person who opened fire at the Galleria mall three weeks ago. Two people were left dead and three others critically wounded in the noon time attack.” The blonde reporter wore a suitably grave expression on her normally perky face as the scene shifted from the studio to a visibly upset woman sitting in a painfully neat living room.

“My daughter did not deserve to die that way. I can’t think of anything more crazy and more senseless.” The camera stayed steadily on her face as she sobbed into a wilted tissue.

Another scene shift and a group of excited teens were ranged before the camera. A pretty young African-American girl was acting as the unofficial spokesperson.

“It is just plain scary. I mean, how do you go anywhere when some crazy man is out there shooting people and the police don’t even know what he looks like?” The crowd behind her made noises of assent “I mean, you don’t know where he’s gonna hit next. It could be a supermarket or you could be out pumping gas. It could be like that DC sniper.”

The camera shifted back to the blonde in the studio “If anyone has any information that could lead the police to the identity, apprehension or arrest the shooter, you should contact the police at the number on our screen.”

On cue, the anchorwoman shifted to look at another camera angle and her face lightened considerably as the screen over her left shoulder now showed a picture of a cartoon Turkey.

“If you haven’t already chosen your turkey for Thanksgiving Day, you may want to head on down the supermarket sooner rather than later. Local retailers report that supplies of those succulent gobblers are already run-“ her voice was abruptly cut off as a teenager with a funky streak of white in her hair angrily snapped off the tv set.

Turning to her now silent companions in the rec room, Marie’s face was a mask of fury.

“What kind of Keystone Kop state are we living in? How did a crazy shooter manage to get out of a crowded mall without anyone being able to describe him or see where he went?” She demanded making her way back to the opened boxes.

“I know,” Jubilee spoke around a big wad of bubble gum. “That one girl is right. This lunatic is out there on the loose. He’s already opened up fire in a crowded mall what’s to stop him from doing it again?” She disgustedly looked over a runner that had been woven with bunnies and brightly covered eggs. “There should be a massive man hunt with road blocks and people kicking in doors and the cops shining lights in people’s eyes. Instead they are treating it like it’s no big thing!”

Bobby Drake snagged the runner from her and placed it back in a box before she could absent-mindedly add it to the pile of linen they were actually planning to use.

“I heard the police don’t think it was random. They think one of the people who got shot was actually the target.” He said, looking at a napkin ring carved with vines and leaves. He thrust it toward Jubilee “does this look Thanksgiving-y?”

“Well, that’s just stupid,” Kitty Pryde burst out from behind them. She had cleverly managed not to contribute to the linen sorting/choosing process but was instead “keeping them company” as she web surfed on her laptop. “If someone is really a target, you don’t open up fire in a crowded public mall and hope you actually get them. You break into their house and kill them or find them alone.”

“That’s if you’re rational.” Bobby shot back irritated. There was something about her that always got under his skin. “This guy is obviously not rational. Anybody who opens fire in a mall has to be a few hairs short of a beard.” He shrugged “I just heard that they have guards at the hospital room of the people who are still alive. In case one of them is the real target and he comes back.”

“Well, that’s small comfort for Mr. McCoy’s family.” Jubilee said in a subdued voice. “I feel awful. Mr. McCoy was my favorite teacher. Well, after my uncle, that is. He was so nice and patient. And he always let you re-do your assignments instead of giving you an ‘F’ straight off like Mr. Summers.”

“I know.” Kitty agreed. “He was so decent. I actually understood genetics when I had it with him. I feel especially terrible for Miss Munroe. How awful that only a few years ago her fiancé walked out on her right before her wedding and now her boyfriend gets killed in a mall shooting.”

“I heard he was planning to propose and was at the mall to buy the ring.” Jubilee chimed in.

Gasps greeted this revelation.

“Where did you hear that?” Marie demanded abandoning her box and scooting over closer to get the scoop. Kitty and Bobby sidled closer as well.

Jubilee shot Marie a smirky look and popped her gum. “I have my sources Ms. Darkholme. And they are good. Almost horses’ mouth.”

“Dang, Jubes, what does that mean.” Kitty burst out in frustration. “Did your uncle tell you?”

“Good God no!” Jubes shot Kitty an outraged look “Uncle Logan doesn’t gossip. He’d give up beer and his Harley before he’d dish dirt with me. Naw, I overheard certain people talking.”

Marie blew out her breath on a huff and went back to her sorting. If it wasn’t for the fact that Jubliee’s information was almost always on the money, she’d scoff and tell Jubes that she was full of crap. But Jubilee was better than the CIA in getting dirt on people and she was always right, drat her!

“Well I don’t think it’s true.” Kitty scoffed plopping down next to Bobby as she finally decided to actually help sort linens “I mean, wouldn’t she be much more torn up about it. If I had heard my man was going to propose before he died tragically, I’d be mental.”

Another gum pop “Don’t believe me then,” Jubilee shrugged. “But remember when it becomes common knowledge, you heard it here first.”

Marie’s eyes narrowed as she noted the proximity of Kitty to Bobby. Before she could think of an excuse to summon Bobby to sit nearer her, a few other students trooped into the rec room lugging heavy, flat wooden boxes and jars of cleaning supplies.

“Oh man you guys got lucky.” Jimmy exclaimed when he saw the piles of linen. “She has us cleaning the silver.”

-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Ororo knocked softly on the heavily carved mahogany door.

“Enter.” Came the smooth, round tones of her boss, mentor and adoptive father.

“Emma said wanted to see me, Dad?” Ororo smiled briefly at him as she sat across from his massive desk.

Her smile was answered by his equally warm one. It never ceased to amaze her that this wheelchair-bound, thin featured man exuded such an aura of effortless power. She let a small sigh escape as she took in his familiar and dear features. As usual he looked very elegant in his impeccably tailored Savile Row suit, however there was evidence of strain around his eyes and he looked somewhat tired.

“Yes, my dear. Have a seat.” His voice was deep and cultured, carrying the resonance similar to that of a classically trained actor. One of Ororo’s earliest memories was of his voice as he read bed time stories to her. “You look tired.”

Ororo smiled “I was just thinking the same of you. You’ve been incredibly busy handling the fall out of Hank’s death. His mother told me that you’ve been a source of great comfort for them. You’ve been dealing with the authorities here and arranging counseling sessions for the students. You need to delegate more. Isn’t that why you hired Emma, so that you could ease back a little?”

“Oh, no you don’t” he admonished her “You will not turn this around. I wanted to speak to you about how you were coping.” His dark blue eyes bored into hers, searching for something only he could see. “Moira and I were discussing your ambitious plans for Thanksgiving. It isn’t too late to have the meal professionally prepared you know.”

But Ororo was shaking her head. “No, I wish to do this.” She hesitated a bit and allowed herself to slip from her Ororo-the-employee role into Ororo-the-daughter “Not, just wish but I need to. I need to keep myself occupied and creating this meal for my family and the people closest to me is a way to help me remember what is important and all the things I am thankful for. I have to because it can all be gone so easily.”

Charles studied the woman before him with compassion. Ororo was not the daughter of his body but she was definitely the daughter of his heart. She had captured it from the moment he’d first seen her as a squalling infant. He’d watched her grow from a serious young girl into a rebellious teen and finally into this incredibly beautiful and composed young woman.

He hated when she was in pain. For a moment he closed his eyes knowing that he was shortly going to be responsible for a little bit more. His thoughts were interrupted when Ororo abruptly stood and walked to look out the windows at the expansive lawns. It had snowed lightly the day before but not enough to completely cover the season dead grass.

“Hank was planning to propose you know.” She said softly, her gaze steady on the slate colored panoply. “That’s why he went to the mall. To buy a ring.”

“No, my dear, I had no idea.” The compassion of his gaze had moved to his voice.

“I hadn’t either.” As she turned back to face him, he noticed that her eyes were bright with unshed tears “I’ve had to come to terms with that over these past few of weeks. The guilt. I am learning that he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and that I shouldn’t feel responsible for that. I am trying to heal. I think of cooking this dinner, and being elbow deep in turkey guts as my therapy.”

Charles wheeled over to her and clasped her hand.

“Sweetheart, whatever Moira and I can do we will. Please just let us know. In the meantime, the kitchens are yours.”

“Thanks, Dad.” Leaning down she kissed his bald pate lovingly. “Now did you need to see me for something other than just to tell me that you didn’t want to eat my cooking?”

Charles hesitated briefly and shook his head. “No. I just wanted to be sure that you were cognizant of what you were undertaking.”

They chatted a few minutes more before Ororo took her leave. After she had gone Charles wheeled back to his desk. With a heavy heart he opened a file and studied the contents therein. Rarely did he ever question his own judgment; however, for once he wasn’t sure if he was doing the right thing.

The door opened quietly and in walked his wife of five years. She saw the troubled frown on his face as she sat in the chair that Ororo had recently vacated.

“How did she take it?” Moira asked. As Charles raised his reluctant gaze to hers, Moira sighed. “You didn’t tell her did you?”

“I’ve decided to wait.” He said more decisively than he felt. “She is struggling so with Hank’s death. I think this would be a little too much. I think it is best for all concerned if I hold off on this. Maybe I’ll even wait until after Jean and Scott’s wedding.”

Moira felt a deep sense of unease at Charles’ uncharacteristic cowardice. But she conceded to him in this.

“Just don’t wait too long. She can’t be blindsided by this. She’d never forgive you.” Moira hesitated before floating her own personal opinion “You can always change your mind. Nothing is written in stone.”

“I know. But I must consider the needs of the school and the students. Ororo will understand and I believe she would do the same in my position.” Charles wheeled over to his wife as the two of them left the beautifully appointed office to head toward their private apartments to have dinner. “I promise to speak to her directly after the Holidays. We have plenty of time.”
4. The Ro and Lo Show by Pandora
I just wanna let everybody know all about it…
You ain't nothin' but a hound dog
Been snoopin’ round my door
You ain't nothin' but a hound dog
Been snoopin’ round my door
You can wag your tail
But lord, I ain’t gonna feed you no more..



The growling contralto of Big Mama Thornton wailed from the jukebox in the corner of the bar. The sassy lyrics and the bluesy beat were punctuated variously by raucous laughter, low conversation and the clink of beer bottles and shot glasses.

Logan leaned nonchalantly against the wall, one long denim clad leg planted firmly on the dark, pitted wooden floor, the other drawn up resting on the equally pitted wall. His signature cowboy hat was drawn low over his brow. In one hand he casually held a beer, in the other a pool cue. His whisky colored eyes flitted around the room, taking in the scene.

Red Jack, the eponymous owner of the establishment, was serving drinks, telling off-color stories and keeping a gimlet eye on the place. Logan knew that under the bar was a double barrel shotgun and, of all things, a sledgehammer. Red Jack was a big brawny man with a head full of frizzy red hair and a face full of the same. And Logan well knew that Red Jack could heft that hammer as if it were light as a cloud. Nobody got out of line at Red Jack’s.

“Shit!”

Logan turned his attention to the pool table where he watched with deep masculine appreciation as his companion straightened from an almost full body stretch across the table. The white ball was spinning off harmlessly across the green felted top as the dark blue solid ball just missed the corner pocket.

Ororo flashed him a disgusted look as he lazily pushed himself away from the wall to take his turn.

“This table is warped.” She pouted, snagging the beer from his hand and taking a long pull as she mimicked his stance while watching him take aim at a green striped ball. With neat precision the green and white ball spiraled into a side pocket.

Logan raised a brow at her “You always say that. But it just ain’t the case, Darlin’. This table is sweet and true.”

Ororo shot him a sour look as he lined up his next ball. But she couldn’t be too upset. Truth was, this was exactly what she had needed. Thanksgiving had gone beautifully. The food had been spectacular and the company more than matched. For the rest of the weekend people tended to laze about, read or sit endlessly in front of the t.v. On this Saturday night before school resumed, Ororo had retired to her own room, intending to take a bath and get early to bed. But Logan had shown up at her door with a helmet in one hand and her leather jacket in another.

“Get your ass in gear, ‘Ro.” He’d said “We’re going to Red Jack’s.” Ororo hadn’t needed to be convinced. Red Jack’s with it’s wailing blues-and-honky tonk filled jukebox and its hard drinking, loud laughing regulars was exactly what she was in the mood for. Besides, she’d never beaten Logan at the table at Red Jack’s, she was due.

You told me you were high class,
but I can see through that
You told me you were high class,
but I can see through that
And daddy I know you ain't no real cool cat



“Hey sweetheart. How ‘bout you come and dance with ol’ Bear.” A deep voice rumbled in Ororo’s ear. She turned and looked way up into a pair of snapping black eyes in a broad handsome face that sat atop the body the size of a mountain.

Smiling lazily Ororo tipped her head toward Logan “Thanks Bear, but I am here with someone.”

Bear’s eyes didn’t leave Ororo. Instead they traveled leisurely over her, taking in the crystal blue eyes and the snow white hair piled artlessly on her head in a messy-sexy up-do. They dipped lower to take in the swell of her breasts in the deep vee of the clinging candy-red cashmere sweater. They then went lower still to the endless legs encased in a pair of soft leather pants. Finally his eyes tracked back up and landed back on her face.

“I been watching you all night. Your boyfriend’s more interested in his pool cue than in you, baby doll. Every other woman in this joint been out on the dance floor. You just been here proppin’ up the wall. It ain’t right.” He drawled leaning in closer “’Sides, you too much woman for him. But you’re just right for ol’ Bear.”

Despite herself, Ororo grinned at Bear’s cocky assurance. Encouraged Bear leaned in even closer.

“Your hair is mighty, mighty pretty. How ‘bout you let Ol’ Bear discover if that’s all Mother Nature.” He gifted Ororo with a surprisingly sweet smile, showing off straight, white teeth “Be awful disappointed if it’s Miss Clairol. But Bear’ll live.”

“Everything okay over here, Darlin’?” Logan’s voice cut in as he sauntered over. Ororo looked over to see that he had cleared the table. Damn, he won again.

Unhurriedly, Logan slipped an arm around Ororo and shot a challenging stare at the big man hovering over her.

“Ol’ Bear here thinks you’re spending too much time playing pool and not enough time playing with me.” Ororo drawled. “Why, you haven’t even danced with me all night.”

“Hnh,” Logan grunted, “Well let’s see what we can do about that.” Grabbing Ro’s hand, he set the beer down on a low ledge and maneuvered her onto the postage stamp sized dance floor.

Ororo gave a grunt of surprise as Logan plastered his body against hers, planting his hands firmly on her ass. Instinctively she wrapped her arms around his neck and started to move in rhythm to the song.

“Let’s give ol’ Bear something to dream about.” Logan murmured. Ororo just caught the wicked gleam in his eye before he lowered his head and caught her lips with his own.

The kiss was dark, deep and utterly delicious. Ororo was so flabbergasted that at first she didn’t respond. Logan teased her tongue with his, and just like that, Ororo allowed herself to sink into him. At her response, Logan’s hands tightened slightly on her rear and he dipped his head to get a better angle in her mouth.

This wasn’t the first time Ororo and Logan had shared a kiss. Usually it was a flagrantly passionate put on, designed to stave off one of Logan’s groupies. But for some reason this one seemed different to Ororo. Maybe because she now knew that she was in love with Logan. Or maybe it was because she hadn’t been intimate with anyone in a long time and her hormones were getting the better of her. Or maybe she was just a little drunk. Whatever it was it felt good.

Logan abruptly broke off the kiss and eased back a little. His body was still swaying to the music, but his lips had moved to nibble at her ear and his hands had moved to her waist.

You made me feel so blue,
You made me weep and moan
You made me feel so blue,
You made me weep and moan
You ain't looking for a woman,
Lord knows what you're looking for


“Is he looking?” His voice was a husky whisper in her ear.

For a minute Ororo was completely disoriented. It took a second to realize that Logan was talking about Bear. Get a grip! Ororo admonished herself. Trying to compose herself, Ro gave a discreet look around and saw Bear chatting up a frowsy blonde.

“I think he’s turned his attention to someone whose hair is undoubtedly the product of Miss Clairol.” Composed now, Ororo laughed huskily “Poor Bear is doomed to disappointment.”

The music on the jukebox had changed to the rock/blues of The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Logan now stepped almost completely away, his only contact with Ororo was one a light touch on her waist.

“I think we oughtta hit the road.” He said giving her a gentle squeeze “Meet me by the bike, I gotta make a pit stop.”

Ororo agreed and the two headed toward the front. Ororo grabbed her jacket and detoured to the bar to pay their tab.

Logan made his way to the narrow hall just before the men’s room and, once out of sight of the main room, he sagged abruptly against the wall.

He was hard as a rock.

Logan couldn’t believe it. First he’d gotten upset to see that big ass mountain man slobbering all over Ro. And then he’d decided to…what? Stake a claim? And now he had a hard on the size of fuckin’ Texas. Ro could’ve handled that guy all by herself without breaking a sweat. He didn’t know what had come over him. At first he was just playing a little bit. It was something he and Ro always did; The Ro and Lo show. It was a put-on to chase away clingy girlfriends or pushy assholes in bars. But as he leaned closer to her, her scent seemed to wrap around him and dig right into his senses. It was suddenly the most natural thing in the world to just…plunder her mouth.

And then she’d responded. She had just seemed to melt into him and that was when he felt his body take control. All he wanted to do was grip her ass even harder and grind her against his burgeoning erection. He wanted to wrap those mile long legs around his waist and plunge into her.

Gasping for breath , Logan dug the heels of his palms into his eyes. What the hell was he thinking? This was Ro. This wasn’t Jean or some girl he picked up in a bar. This was Ro, for crissake. He didn’t think of Ro that way. Well, he didn’t think of her that way any more. Back when he’d first met her, she’d starred in quite a few of his sweaty late night fantasies. But she’d become so much more than a face and body to whack off too. She was…well, she was Ro.

But she’d tasted so good. A little forbidden voice in the back of his head whispered. What the hell was his problem? Logan mentally kicked at himself. He hadn’t gotten laid in over a month so Ororo was fair game? Betsy makes a little comment and suddenly Logan is getting queer little feelings in his stomach?

But that’s just it -- what exactly did he feel? His was royally pissed at Jean, but he still loved her? Didn’t he? If he did then why did he suddenly want to peel off Ororo’s red sweater with his teeth?

Straightening up, Logan took a few deep breaths. Whatever the hell was going on with him wouldn’t be solved in the dingy hallway outside of Red Jack’s men’s room. And Ororo certainly didn’t need this shit from him. She was dealing with her fucked up feelings for Hank. She didn’t need Logan’s fucked up, confused feelings to deal with as well.

Well no more will I shop around now baby.
I know I got the best thing in town now baby.
I've seen all I want to see now baby.
Bring your lovin' straight to me now baby.
Wrap it up, I’ll take it
Wrap it up, I’ll take it


The music receded into the background as Logan let the door of Red Jack’s bang closed and walked out into the chilly night. Seeing Ro lounging patiently against the bike, Logan felt that strange little stir somewhere below his stomach.

Noticing him headed toward her way, Ro stood up straight and handed him his helmet.

“All set?” She questioned.

“Let’s saddle up, Darlin’” He gave her a wicked grin, ruthlessly tamping down those sudden, confusing feelings of lust and longing for his best friend. Logan slung his leg over the bike and Ororo settled in behind him, clasping him tightly as the bike thrummed to life beneath them. Without a backward glance, they roared away into the darkness.

From deep within the shadows near the back of the small parking lot, a small curl of cigarette smoke wafted over the air. It was the only outward sign of the lone figure that silently watched the taillights of the bike disappear into the distance, their mind awhirl with thoughts of warped love and revenge.
5. Next of Kin by Pandora
The victim was lying motionless on the floor, his arms and legs splayed in unnatural angles.

The rescuer crouched down next to the victim and bent over to listen for breathing. Finding none, she tipped his head back and started mouth-to-mouth, giving him three quick breaths.

“Stop!” Barked Logan irritated and turned to the watching class.

Behind his back, the victim quickly raised his head and gave his rescuer a quick kiss which she enthusiastically returned.

“Okay, what was wrong with what you just saw?” His brown eyes flicked around the faces looking for a quick response.

As usual, Jubilee’s and Kitty’s hands flew in the air first.

“Jubes?” Logan prompted.

“Is the victim really in distress if he gives his rescuer a kiss?” She asked archly. “Cuz somehow I think if he dialed 911 and isn’t even in danger that that is a waste of taxpayer money and city resources.”

The class burst out laughing as Logan whipped his head around to see Bobby and Marie looking sheepish.

“Cut it out!” He snapped at the two. This was his third and final review session for CPR and first aid portion of the final and the students were proving to be woefully unprepared, forgetting the most basic steps. “If you can’t be serious then I suggest you leave now and don’t waste my time.”

Laughter abruptly cut off as the class grew dead silent. Bobby’s jaw dropped in shocked dismay while Marie’s face went beet red in embarrassment.

“Marie did you review the notes? Did you watch the video? Did you do anything to prepare for today?” Logan’s voice was cutting.

Marie mumbled something incoherently.

“So, again, I ask what was wrong with what you just saw?”

This time only Kitty’s hand went up. Jubilee had sunk down in her seat, her face a study of contrition as she tried to send Marie a look of silent apology.

“Mar--, I mean, the rescuer neglected to tip the victim’s head back to check for an unobstructed airway before commencing breathing.” Kitty’s voice was subdued.

Logan nodded encouragingly, silently urging her to continue.

“Er, the rescuer gave three quick breaths and did not check to see the chest rise to make sure the breath was filling the lungs properly.”

“Good.” Logan motioned to Marie. “Take your seat Marie. Kitty go and demonstrate for us please.”

Not looking right or left, Kitty went and crouched next to Bobby and followed the proper technique.

Logan watched the pair on the floor while silently berating himself. He was letting his personal problems interfere with his work. Normally, he’d have taken the fact that the students were struggling with the CPR with a grain of salt. It was the very last unit they’d covered and with the disruption that Hank’s death had caused in the school, they’d had very little time to prepare as they should.

Marie was a sweet girl and Logan had taken a liking to her. She and Jubes were the best of friends and she’d taken to his self defense classes like a duck to water. He sincerely regretted calling her out on her lack of preparedness in front of the class, especially since he knew that she wasn’t the only one and she’d been struggling in her classes lately.

Logan absently rubbed at his temples where a headache was just beginning to form. Maybe he’d have Ro schedule something with Marie to see if she could figure out what was going on with the girl.

Well that didn’t take long, bub. He thought to himself. Lately, every other thought was about Ro. And they were decidedly un-best friendlike. Since the night at Red Jack’s, Logan found himself looking at her differently. Wondering how she’d be as a lover? Or what it would be like to come home and just kiss her as if he had a perfect right to. But then he’d remind himself that Ro was his friend who was still mourning her boyfriend’s death.

And besides, he told himself for the fortieth time this week, he was in love with Jean. Jean, who was shortly to become a married woman. As usual, whenever he allowed thoughts of Jean to crowd his mind, his belly churned unpleasantly. A miasma of feelings bubbled to the surface: guilt, shame, and rage. Mostly rage. His anger was a living thing fed by the picture of her face as she told him she had no intention of calling off her wedding.

Fuckin’ Christ! Logan snarled inside. He needed to get off this mental merry-go-round. He needed to get on his bike and ride like the hounds of hell were nipping at his heels. That’s what he needed. That and a good, long, hard fuck. An inner voice whispered seductively. A quick mental image of Ororo’s long chocolate colored legs wrapped around his neck skittered across his mind before he ruthlessly quashed it.

Kitty was in the middle of doing her fourth rotation of breaths and chest compressions when Logan called a halt and motioned the two students back to their seats.

“Look, I’m in a pisser of a mood. So I’m lettin’ ya out early.” There was a collective sigh of relief at his words “Study the chapter and watch the video. This is worth thirty percent of yer final.”

The students scrambled out of the classroom and scattered in the halls. Outside in the corridor, Jubilee was apologizing profusely to Bobby and Marie.

“My big mouth!” she moaned “I was trying to be funny and got you two reamed out. I’m sorry.”

Bobby shook his head “What was up with Mr. Howlett today? I know he’s a supreme bad ass, but he’s always been pretty cool with us. But today “ sheesh”I felt like a bug pinned to a piece of board. I almost peed my pants.”

Marie just remained quiet, a look of resentment and embarrassment showing clearly on her face.

Jubilee looked at the pair sympathetically “He’s been moody all week. I just think everybody will be happy when this term is over. It’s been so stressful and we’ve been cooped up here, not able to leave the grounds because of that crazy nut still on the loose. I miss the Mall!”

“Oh, that’s right,” Bobby snapped his fingers “Are they going to let us know today whether or not we can go to the Mall this weekend?”

“Yeah, there’s a meeting at four o’clock” Kitty’s voice reached them before she did.

Marie roused out of her state of embarrassment long enough to throw a scathing look at the pretty brunette.

“Well, aren’t you just the little Miss Fountain of Information.”

Taken aback at the venom in her voice, the other three looked at her in surprise.

“Marie, I’m sorry” Kitty said slowly, not sure why Marie was so mad at her. Truthfully, Kitty was no longer sure about anything when it came to Marie. The two used to be pretty good friends, but Marie had been acting very stand-offish lately. And now this. “I didn’t know Mr. Howlett was going to be so….”

“Ass-holey?” Jubilee supplied. “Look, it’s not Kitty’s fault none of us studied and she did.”

“I only know because I used to be a lifeguard and we had to know that stuff.” Kitty put in quickly.

“Well so was Monet but I didn’t see her knocking over the chairs in an effort to give Bobby mouth to mouth.” Marie shot back, unappeased.

There was an uncomfortable silence where Bobby’s face flamed red and Kitty’s eyes widened in shock.

“You think I am after your boyfriend?” Kitty’s voice was an undignified squeak.

“Well I don’t think it is a mistake that every time I turn around, you’re with him.” Marie said, shooting her mute boyfriend a look.

“We’re not always together. But when we are it is because Mr. Summers made us computer lab partners.” Kitty also turned Bobby “Would you please explain to your girlfriend I am not after your body?”

“C’mon Marie,” Bobby began not meeting Kitty’s eyes “Why are you being like this?”

Ouch!, Jubilee thought , Wrong move bone head.

“And what am I being like Bobby?” Marie asked softly, her southern belle drawl suddenly sounded very menacing.

With an exasperated sigh, Bobby looked at Kitty “Hey I’m sorry she’s acting this way.”

“Oh so now you’re apologizing for me?” Marie’s outrage was a living thing.

Danger! Danger! Will Robinson. Jubilee moaned inwardly.

Before he could answer, Kitty threw up her hands “You know what? This sounds like a conversation you two need to have and it has nothing to do with me. I’m outta here. If you want to know what they decided about us going to the Mall, the meeting is in the main assembly hall.”

With that she turned and walked smartly off.

Jubilee looked desperately at her bare wrist “Oh, ah…hey, look at the time. I got a …thing.” And she prudently made her escape as well and ran off in the opposite direction.

The two lovers stood in the now deserted hall staring at each other.

“You like her.” Marie finally said.

“That’s ridiculous,” Bobby scoffed a little too loudly. A little too quickly. “She annoys the crap out of me. You said it yourself, she’s a little Miss know-it-all.”

But Marie was shaking her head, “I see you looking at her sometimes.”

Bobby scoffed again. This time a little too weakly.

“I thought because we --- ” Marie’s voice hitched in pain “finally made love that it’d be great with us. But instead you seem less interested.”

“Look, that’s not true.” Bobby drew her into his arms and gave her a slow, sweet kiss “You’re the one I want. I don’t give Kitty a second thought. I spend time with her because I have to. I spend time with you because I want to.”

Marie slowly relaxed in his arms, allowing her own arms to wind around him tightly. Above her head, Bobby stared off into the distance, in the direction where Kitty disappeared.

-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

A few hours later.

“Knock, Knock!” Jean poked her head into Ororo’s office to see if it was occupied. Seeing her friend at her desk, Jean stepped through and closed the door behind her.

Ororo, glancing up from the e-mail message she was reading, smiled in real pleasure at seeing her best girlfriend.

“Hey, Junebug,” Ororo greeted her friend using a nickname Jean had despised since they were in the ninth grade together. “So how did it go?”

Jean allowed herself to flop wearily into the chair next to Ro’s desk and eased off her a pair of her signature stilettos. Ro noticed they were the Christian Louboutin slingbacks Jean ordered last month. She drooled a little.

“We decided to allow a chaperoned trip to the Mall this Friday.” She said soberly. Thank goodness Scott and Piotr volunteered to be the chaperones. Jean didn’t think she’d be able to step inside that Mall for a very long time.

Ro simply nodded. “It is necessary Jean. We can’t keep the kids cooped up here too much longer. It’s too close to Christmas. They need to get out and feel some normalcy again. I know Dad had some long discussions with the police. Mall security is extremely tight, especially since it is the holiday season.”

Sympathetically Jean reached over and clasped one of Ro’s hands in her own “God, Ororo, I can’t imagine how you are holding up under all of this. I’d be bent double with the grief.”

Other than Logan and her father, Jean was the only person Ro had told about the ring.

“I’m holding up because I must.” Ro shrugged “I am mourning Hank still, but I can’t let grief and guilt cripple me. I did bend, but by God, I won’t break”

“Yes, yes. I get it. ‘Ororo: Strong Like Bull.’” Jean thumped her chest “But promise me you won’t internalize all of this.” Jean’s grass green eyes were concerned as they looked over her friend’s strained features “Make sure you talk to someone. Please? I’m here and so is your dad and Moira. God, even Logan if you must.”

Ororo’s eyes shifted from Jean and her expression changed imperceptibly. The only reason Jean noticed the slight difference was because she’d known this woman for years.

“What?” Jean’s eyes zeroed onto Ororo like a laser. “What did Logan do?”

“Nothing…” Ororo’s voice was hesitant “Except, well, he’s being strange.”

“Strange how?” Jean suddenly stilled, her own expression becoming watchful.

Ororo shrugged, her shoulders delicate under the fine silk of her blouse “Just…strange. He’s more affectionate. He’s, I dunno…..touchy.

“Touchy? Like pissed off?”

“That too,” Ororo said wryly “But I meant he touches me a lot lately. The other day I was standing on a foot stool reaching for a big bowl from the very top of the cabinet and he came behind me and held me steady.”

“The Pervert!” Jean whispered in shocked tones, her body relaxed back in her chair once again.

Ororo flipped a paper clip at her friend “Shut up. No seriously, He didn’t just hold the chair steady or gripped my arm or something. He came up behind me and ran his hand up the side of my legs and held my waist. It was like a caress almost. And then yesterday I was just standing in the front hall of our place flipping through the mail when he ran a finger up the nape of my neck. He’s never done that before. He’s pulled my pony tail or given me a noogie. But this…this was different.”

Jean was silent for a moment before asking slowly “Do you think he’s starting to develop more than friendly feelings for you?”

Ororo’s shoulders lifted in the classic I-don’t-know gesture. She then told Jean about the incident in Red Jack’s. “It just seemed so different from our normal little Ro and Lo thing we do.”

“Ro…” Jean began delicately “How do you feel about Logan? I mean, I’m getting the impression that you may actually welcome something more from him? Am I reading the signals wrong?”

Their relationship was such that Ororo didn’t even contemplate prevaricating.

“No.” Ororo said quietly yet firmly. “You’re not reading the signals wrong. I wouldn’t object to something more with Logan. As a matter of fact, I’ve been attracted to him for some time.”

Jean’s eyes were wide with shock and her expression so horrified that Ororo couldn’t help but break out in helpless giggles.

“God, Jean, if you could just see your face.” Ororo burbled. “Look, I know that you’ve always thought he was a bit of a Neanderthal, but he’s sweet. And even you have to admit Logan is hella sexy.”

Jean’s answering smile was a bit sickly. Seeing it set Ororo off in peels of laughter again. God, it felt good to laugh again.

A knock on her door interrupted her amusement.

Bidding the person enter, she turned to see who it was as Jean took a moment to slide her shoes back on.

“Miss Munroe?” It was Artie, the short, self effacing youngster seemed a bit agitated.

“Yes, Artie?” Ororo’s amusement was still palpable.

“Ah, ma’am, there are a couple of police officers here asking to see you.”

Sharing a startled glance, the two women quickly exited the office, following Artie toward the main floor public rooms.

A knot of students were hovering around the main hall, their curiosity about the police was palpable.

Briskly dismissing the students, Ororo and Jean joined the two blue clad officers in the main lounge, closing the double pocket doors behind them. One was a male, tall and bluff looking with a shock of blonde hair and a ruddy complexion. His partner was a smaller Hispanic woman. Her dark eyes watchful as she hung back a little.

“I’m Ororo Munroe.” Ororo’s face was serene, easily masking the knot of apprehension that settled like a brick on her chest.

The male officer moved forward “Miss Munroe, I’m Officer Dale. I’m here because you are listed as next-of-kin to Mr. Charles Xavier?”

Ororo’s gasp was echoed by Jean’s louder one and she felt her knees buckle slightly. Seeing her distress, the female officer moved stepped from behind her bigger partner and reached to steady Ororo.

“Miss Munroe, I am officer Ortiz” She began in a slightly accented voice “Mr. Xavier and his wife were in a car accident.” She cast her partner a reproving look “They are alive and have been taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital.”

“Alive..?” Ororo latched onto that word like a lifeline. Blindly she reached for Jean, who gripped Ororo’s shoulder in a comforting squeeze. “Are they okay? What happened?”

“We don’t know their exact status, ma’am, only that they were still alive when they were extracted from the vehicle and transported to the hospital.”

“But what happened?” Jean asked frustration warring with fear in her voice.

“An eyewitness to the accident reported that the driver appeared to lose control of the vehicle on a patch of black ice. I’m afraid those are the only details we have at this time.” Officer Ortiz’s words were final. Ororo and Jean could ask more, but it was obvious she had said all she was planning to say.

Squeezing Ororo’s shoulder once more reassuringly, Jean walked over to the desk where she picked up the phone and spoke briskly into the receiver for a moment.

“You are welcome to accompany us, ma’am or we can escort you as you drive your own vehicle.” This time it was Officer Dale who spoke. He’d recovered from his earlier faux pas.

Before Ororo could gather her thought to fashion answer, Jean stepped back over to them.

“We’ll be happy to accept your escort.” She said taking charge because for once, Ororo seemed incapable. Turning to Ororo she gave her an encouraging smile “I called Scott. And told him to find Logan and get here ASAP.”

Ororo was profoundly grateful Jean was there because she was too frozen to move. Her mind had stuttered to a complete stop at the words “next of kin.” She had seen Hank buried just a scant six weeks ago. The thought --- the very idea --- of her father and Moira dead was too much to comprehend.

If I can no longer bend, Ororo thought somewhat desperately as the officers arranged with Jean to await them out front, do I break?
6. Shock and Awe by Pandora
A silvery beam of full moonlight slid into the darkened room through the white gossamer drapes to settle softly on the face of the sleeping woman.

Logan breathed a deep sigh of relief upon seeing that Ororo had finally drifted into slumber. For the past three days she had only snatched cat-naps here and there as she took turns sitting vigil next to Moira’s and Chuck’s respective bedsides.

Shaking off his own exhaustion, Logan walked silently into the room and sat his own bed-side vigil. Settling comfortably in a deep cushioned chair with a direct line of sight to the bed, Logan drank in the sight of Ororo’s relaxed form, idly noting the way the shadows lengthened her lashes and how the moonlight made her hair look almost silver.

In sleep, Ororo’s face looked younger, more vulnerable. Logan unashamedly enjoyed this opportunity to simply study her at leisure. Seeing her like this made him realize how closely she kept herself guarded.

What was it that made her keep such a shield between herself and the world? Was it the tragedy of witnessing her biological parents’ deaths at such an early age? Was it the pain of being so exotically different looking? She’d told him that she’d been teased mercilessly as a youngster and hadn’t really grown into her looks until she’d reached adulthood. Logan couldn’t imagine Ororo looking anything other than stunningly beautiful. Or was it being left at the altar by the guy who, by all accounts, was her first true love? For someone with as much pride and dignity as Ororo, that humiliation would have been devastating.

Snorting softly at his uncharacteristically philosophical musings, Logan allowed his mind to turn to the events of the past few days. He’d never forget the clutch of panic that struck at him when he’d returned home after a long meandering bike ride only to listen to a series of increasingly frantic phone messages from Scott, Betsy and Jubilee.

Cursing himself for not taking his cell phone along, Logan hopped back on his bike and broke every traffic law twice over to get to the hospital. Once there he was horrified to learn that Moira was in the intensive care unit in a coma having come through her emergency surgery. Meanwhile the professor’s prognosis was unknown since he was still undergoing his own surgery to repair massive internal injuries.

One look at Ororo had told him that she was on the ragged edge of nowhere. Her skin was pasty, her eyes haunted and her body held tensely as if waiting for a killing blow. He knew that she had been trying to prepare herself for the worst while desperately hoping for the best.

Scott, his own face lined with worry and fatigue, had greeted him thankfully.

“What tha hell happened?” Logan had asked. Scott told him about the accident.

“The only reason they are still alive is because there was apparently some guy who saw the accident. “ Scott continued, “He witnessed the whole thing and used his cell phone to call 911. If he hadn’t been there and the response so immediate, they would have simply died from their injuries right there on the scene.”

Yesterday Logan decided to go check out the scene of the accident and realized that it was a true miracle that the two had survived. The car had literally smashed into a retaining rock wall that stretched for three miles along a lightly traveled two-lane road. Thank God for airbags and good Samaritans, Logan thought fervently.

Charles had come out of his surgery; the list of internal injuries had been mind boggling. His condition was critical but the doctors were guardedly optimistic. It wasn’t until Charles had finally, groggily opened his eyes for a few moments, that Ororo had allowed herself to relax a little.

And even then she had insisted on getting the name of the eyewitness so she could personally thank him. The police had promised to contact the man and get back to her. She had had to be satisfied with that.

And now she was home and asleep. Moira was still in a coma, but Charles was on the mend albeit drugged into insensibility. And both were blessedly alive.

As for Logan, sitting here in the moonlight staring at his own personal version of sleeping beauty, he could finally admit to himself that his feelings for her had changed irrevocably. She looked to him as her friend, but he wanted more. It astounded him how much he wanted more.

Soul searching was not his strong point, but he was nothing if not brutally frank with himself. Almost clinically Logan peeled back the layers of his heart and examined his feelings for Jean. It was as if a veil had been lifted that day Hank died. The day Jeannie had unequivocally let him know that Scott was for love and Logan was for sex.

He’d been so consumed by his feelings of guilt, rage and betrayal, that he never noticed until recently that one feeling was conspicuously absent.

Pain.

If his feelings for Jeannie really were love, shouldn’t he be hurting? After all the anger had receded shouldn’t there at least be an ache of loss? But under the rage had been --- relief. He was relieved that it was over. And relieved no one had ever found out. Oh, he had enjoyed the sex. It had been hot, dangerous and uninhibited. But there had always been an underlying sense of… wrongness. Much of that he attributed to their deception of a decent guy like Scott, but Logan had finally realized that being with Jean didn’t complete him like he’d thought it would.

Other than the sex, what else did they even have in common? They never talked about anything of substance. Through the veil, Logan had loved an ideal. And his love was sustained by the fact that Jeannie had been unattainable. But once it had been ripped away, he was confronted with the reality. He didn’t know Jeannie’s favorite color, her favorite movie or even what her politics were. In short, while he had loved the idea of Jeannie, he didn’t even know if he’d even like the real person.

But with Ororo, something about her sang to something deep within his soul. It amazed him that he’d remained blind to her for so long. How could he have so blithely relegated her to the status of a buddy, when she was so much more? He knew Ororo. He knew her. Over the past two years, he and Ororo had had many long, involved conversations and debates on all manner of the things ranging from the war policy to which season of Survivor was the best. They completed each other’s sentences. They shared loud arguments just as easily as they shared comfortable silences.

With Hank’s death and now with Charles and Moira having narrowly escaped death, Logan refused to let himself waste anymore time. It sounded so cliché, but it was true. Life was precious. You did have to live every day to the fullest because you never knew when it would be snatched away.

Now that he’d acknowledged what he was beginning to feel, he wasn’t going to let this opportunity with Ororo pass him by.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


Ororo stretched luxuriously, slowly opening her eyes to squint as the bright winter white sunlight flooded her room.

For a moment she simply allowed herself to snuggle under her down comforter and settled even more deeply into the plush pillowtop of her king sized mattress. Until she remembered her father and Moira and jerked up quickly, her eyes whipping to the clock on the bedside table.

The amber numbers blinked 8:32 am and Ororo groaned. 8:32? Why hadn’t her alarm gone off? She had set it for 6:30 am. Scrambling out of bed, Ororo quickly checked her phone for messages. The doctor had promised to call if there was any change in either Charles or Moira.

After hearing the mechanical voice tell her there were no new messages, Ororo wasn’t sure if she should be relieved or disappointed. She finally decided to go with ‘relieved’ at least there was no change for the worse. With that small comforting thought, she headed for her bathroom, her mind awhirl with thoughts and plans for the day.

She had two classes that she simply couldn’t sub out for another day. That meant that she couldn’t make it to the hospital until this afternoon. Since Charles was out of commission, there was probably a mountain of things needed doing on his desk. Emma was frighteningly efficient as Charles’ second-in-command, but she was relatively new. Ororo would have to check in to see how she was faring.

Turning on the taps on the showerhead so that the water came out full blast and blazingly hot, Ororo stepped under the pelting spray. It was then that the tears came.

Suppressed emotions broke free and struck with the force of a hurricane gale, sending Ororo to her knees. Huddling in the corner of the stall, she gave into all that she’d been bottling up for years. She cried for Hank. She cried for his lost possibilities. She cried because she couldn’t love him the way he’d deserved. She cried for her father and Moira. But most of all she cried for herself. Reaching deep, she let go of the years of despair over losing her own parents and her lonely and often unfriendly childhood. She cried over her aborted wedding and the loss of dreams. And finally she cried over her own unrequited love for Logan.

It was raw, elemental and absolutely cathartic. It was also cleansing, healing and absolutely necessary. By the time the maelstrom had passed, Ororo’s throat was aching from the harsh, racking sobs and the water had long since gone tepid. Quickly washing, Ororo turned off the taps and stepped out of the shower.

Back in her bedroom, Logan was pacing like a wild man. He’d come in with a large steaming mug of coffee and a bagel, planning to force both of them down her throat. Instead he was confronted with the sounds of her raw grieving. Even through the thick door and the din of the shower he could hear her cries. It took every ounce of strength he possessed not to tear through the door with his very fingernails. But he held himself back. On some level he knew that she needed to do this.

The door flew open and Ororo, wrapped in a vividly patterned towel stepped into her room, only to stop upon seeing Logan standing there.

They stared at each other silently for a heartbeat, before Logan picked up the coffee and nonchalantly handed it to her.

“I knew I’d get my ass chewed for turnin’ off your alarm. I thought maybe this’d make it go down easier.”

Ororo knew that Logan had to have heard her crying. Thankful that he hadn’t made a big deal of it, she smiled and accepted the coffee without comment. Her eyes closed blissfully at the first sip of the aromatic brew.

Logan studied her carefully; her eyes were puffy, her skin was a bit pruned from the prolonged exposure to water, and she must have bitten into her bottom lip because it was swollen. She looked absolutely beautiful. Just seeing her standing there in that towel, the drops of water glistening on her skin and knowing she was naked under that towel made his mouth go dry.

He really needed to leave the room, now, before he made an ass of himself. But before he could move, Ororo set the coffee on the bedside table and came toward him.

“Logan,” she said softly, touching his forearm “I…just…” she seemed to be struggling for words until finally giving up she just said “thanks.”

Unable to help himself, Logan moved closer, tipping her chin up and looking into her eyes.

“You don’t need ta thank me, Darlin’” a smile quirked his lips “You’re still the baddest chick I know. A coupla tears won’t change that.”

Ro chuckled. She suddenly felt like herself again, only a little lighter and freer.

“I bet you tell that to all the girls.” She drawled with some of her old spirit.

“Aw, Darlin’ I told ya before. You’re tha only girl in my heart.” His voice was teasing but his eyes were intent upon hers.

Ro’s breath hitched a little as her heart sped up.

Keeping his finger under her chin, Logan slowly, deliberately, leaned in and placed his lips on hers. It was a simple, sweet kiss nothing like they’d ever had before. With a sigh Ro leaned in and deepened the pressure, her hand tightening on his forearm.

Logan opened his mouth and the kiss went from sweet to sizzling in a heartbeat. Both of them reveled in the sheer pleasure of kissing each other until, almost as one, they realized they were actually kissing each other.

Pulling away, they both stumbled back half a step; Logan’s finger was still on her chin and Ro’s hand was still clutched to his arm.

“Fuck - !” Logan breathed.

“Shit ..!” Ororo swallowed.

They stared at each other -- blue eyes filled with shock, brown eyes filled with awe -- both breathing deeply.

Finally Logan cleared his throat “Ro, we need ta talk. I…” this time it was Logan’s turn to struggle until with a sigh he simply looked at her, a promise in his eyes “Look, you don’t need this right now.” He caressed her face before dropping his hand altogether and moved toward the door. With one last inscrutable glance at her, he slipped out, closing the door quietly.

Stock still in the middle of the room, Ororo could only stare at the closed door. After a moment, she lifted a trembling hand to her still tingling lips.

“Oh but Logan," Ororo whispered into the silent room “I think I do.”
7. Seven More Days by Pandora
“Wait, I don’t get it? So when do I use a Decode statement and when do I use a Case Statement?” Bobby’s expression was a study in frustration as he and Kitty huddled around the computer in the library.

It was finals week. Nerves and Anxiety had moved in and taken residence for the duration. Even in a school like Xavier’s where the students tended to have higher than normal IQs and could reasonably expect to succeed, finals week carried the same significance as it did at any other school in the nation. Every where one looked, students were studying frantically, hastily quizzing each other until the eleventh hour and quaffing coffee by the bucket loads.

With a sigh Kitty pointed to the examples in their textbook “In some cases, it doesn’t matter which one you use, but see here, example number three? You need to use a Case statement because you’re asking it to look for a range of items rather than a specific item? See? That is one time when you definitely can’t use Decode.”

Bobby studied the page intently as Kitty continued to tap out the SQL statements that they’d need in order to pull the data for their computer science final exam.

Grunting in anger, Bobby slammed the book shut and slumped back in his chair. No matter how much he read those pages he couldn’t seem to grasp the concepts. Thank God he didn’t have to do this next term.

“I am totally going to fail this.” He moaned “And my parents will yank me out for senior year. They’re already hinting about how much it costs to send me here.”

Kitty emitted a rude snort, “You’re not going to fail. This is a group project, remember? Between me and Artie we’ll keep your ass from failing. You won’t get an ‘A’ like moi, but you won’t fail.” She tapped away, consulting her notes only intermittently.

Bobby was amazed at her computer knowledge. He barely knew when it was time to put in a WHERE versus a WHEN, but Kitty could make a computer sing. And her numbers were always exactly perfect whenever Mr. Summers gave them an assignment. They had been working on their final project for a few days and through some tacit agreement neither had mentioned Marie’s accusations from a week ago.

“Besides,” Kitty was continuing “Professor Xavier doesn’t care if you can afford to go here or not. I know plenty of poor kids here who can’t pay a cent. Look at Jimmy, he doesn’t even have a family. It isn’t about money, it’s about ability.”

Vaguely irritated at Kitty’s self assured manner yet fascinated at the way the sunlight streaming through the tall windows glinted off her cinnamon colored hair, Bobby shifted in his seat “Yeah, well, I don’t know what ability I have other than getting a row of spectacular C grades this term.”

Shifting, Kitty looked at him incredulously “Are you kidding me? Have you ever noticed that you are the only person who argues with Professor Xavier in his advanced ethics class? The rest of us are too in awe of him to even pipe up an original opinion. And you always make him laugh. You’re a whiz with numbers “ although how somebody can be so good with numbers and yet such a computer lame-o is beyond me.” Kitty shrugged and turned back to her computer completely missing the expression of baffled pleasure on his face.

Slowly opening the textbook again, Bobby decided to give it another try.

“So you really think I’m good with numbers, huh?” He asked after a long minute where the silence was punctuated only by the tapping of the computer keys.

Kitty met his eyes and smiled shyly at him. He wasn’t half-bad when he wasn’t being a smartass. “I’d trust you to do my taxes.” She said solemnly.

Bobby just grinned.

To Marie, who had just come from a very uncomfortable meeting with Miss Frost about her failing grades, seeing Kitty and Bobby snuggled up closely and smiling into each other’s eyes was like pouring gas on an open flame.

With a snarl, Marie lifted her foot and gave a forceful kick to the back of Kitty’s chair.

“Can’t find a man of your own Kitty Kat?” She sneered.

Jarred by the abrupt movement of her chair, Kitty looked up at Marie with astonishment.

“What is your malfunction, Darkholme?” She asked her face tightening with anger.

Heads turned in their direction to see what was causing the disturbance; some curious, others angry that their last minute desperate studying for finals was being interrupted.

“Marie --- ?” Bobby’s startled exclamation was cut off by a stern voice.

“Is there a problem here?” Miss Grey materialized behind them and speared each student with a questioning look.

“Ask her,” Kitty jerked her head toward the other girl. “I was working on my assignment and she comes over and kicks my chair.”

Jean looked at Marie who still wore a look of anger on her face.

“Well, Marie? I noticed that you did kick the chair unprovoked? Were you unprovoked? Is there something I don’t know about?” Jean looked at the girl probingly. She had some idea what was going on but she wasn’t sure if she wanted to try to mediate a teenage love triangle. However, if Marie was turning the altercation physical, Jean had to intervene.

“No.” came Marie’s succinct reply.

Jean turned to look at the other two students. Kitty still wore an expression of righteous indignation but Bobby just looked miserably embarrassed.

“You two go on and finish what you were doing.” She turned to Marie “Marie may I speak to you in my office please?’

Without checking to see if the young girl was following her, Jean turned and walked briskly, her stiletto heels tapping on the marble flooring.

At her office, Jean allowed to Marie to precede her in before closing the door and taking a seat behind her own desk. Looking at the girl who radiated misery, Jean couldn’t help but feel a spark of pity.

“Marie, I need to know why you felt it necessary to attack Kitty?”

“I didn’t attack her,” Marie burst out “…well, not really.”

“You walked up to her, spoke to her in an aggressive tone and then you kicked her chair, almost causing her to fall out of it. I witnessed the entire thing. Under school policy that constitutes assault.”

Silence greeted this remark as the younger woman sat silently her expression now mutinous, her arms crossed defensively over her chest.

With a sigh Jean went to her filing cabinet and returned with a thick file. Marie’s eyes flicked to the file as Jean began reading through the papers.

“Marie, your midterm grades were dismal. Your best was an ‘A’ in Mr. Howlett’s personal defense class. But other than that, you were barely passing. Ms. Braddock notes that you do not hand in your assignments promptly in her Intro Psych class. And Mr. Rasputin writes here that you do not even attempt to participate in his Russian course ““ Jean broke off at an impatient sound from Marie.

“Look, Miss Frost already told me all of this. I spoke to her less than an hour ago. I know all of this.”

“Marie if this continues we will have to notify your mother.” Jean’s voice was steady, her eyes grave.

“Good luck with that. I hear she’s in the South of France with her new husband.” Marie’s voice was bitter but Jean noticed the lost, frightened look in her eyes.

She tried another tack, one she knew would be more successful “Okay then, if this continues you will be expelled.” Jean watched the girl intently.

There was a moment of stricken silence.

“I can’t go home.” Marie’s voice was achingly small. Finally something had broken through Marie’s tough shell and Jean could see the panic leaking through. “I didn’t even know my mother was getting married until I saw it on the internet. I don’t know where she is.”

Not for the first time, Jean wanted to wring Raven Darkholme’s neck. Marie’s mother was a supermodel-socialite whose favorite past time was serial marriage. Her second favorite pastime of serial adultery inevitably led to messy, tabloid worthy divorces. Her various husbands ranged from young feckless playboys to old, decrepit billionaires. She was a jet-setter who flitted from party to party and whose questionable exploits with men and drugs were often the fodder of late night talk show comedians and internet gossip sites. Meanwhile, she’d tucked her daughter away at Xavier’s exclusive private school at the age of eleven and rarely ever saw her.

“Okay then, you know what you need to do next term.” Jean spoke briskly, careful to keep the sympathy in her voice masked. “You need to do better. I know you can do it Marie. Until now you’ve been such a promising student. Did you know that Professor Xavier’s mid-term evaluation of you says ‘I have faith Miss Darkholme will improve’? That man is fighting for his life in a hospital room right now, don’t make a liar of him.”

Marie swallowed visibly before nodding. “I will do better. I don’t want the Professor to be disappointed.”

Jean studied the girl for a moment “You normally stay on school grounds for the Holidays don’t you Marie?” At the girl’s nod, Jean continued, “I have a proposition for you. My wedding is next week and there are still a thousand things to do. Miss Munroe has been helping me a lot but since the Professor and Ms. MacTaggert have been in the hospital she hasn’t had as much time to help lately. I could always use an extra pair of hands. How about it?”

Marie hesitated not quite sure how to answer.

“Jubilee has taken it upon herself to help and I think she needs someone to….reign her in a bit.” Jean’s smile was teasing.

Marie’s answering smile was full of acceptance and gratitude “Sure. I think it’d be fun.”

They were interrupted by Scott walking in. Taking this as her cue, Marie stood giving Jean one last grateful look before leaving.

Jean smiled warmly at her fiancé as he stepped to her desk and leaned down to give her a warm kiss.

“Hmmm,” she moaned after he lifted his lips from hers and gazed adoringly into her eyes “I’ve missed you this week.”

“I missed you too.” He murmured, unable to help himself he drew her up to give her a deeper, more passionate kiss. His hands restlessly caressed her back through her thin crepe blouse.

Jean allowed herself to revel in the kiss. She really had missed this. They had had very little time alone and no intimate time at all since she had voiced her wish for them to be celibate before the wedding.

Unbidden, her thoughts moved to Logan and she ruthlessly swept them aside. Some small part of her would always thrill at the thought of him. Ororo was right. Logan was hella sexy. But Jean knew that she had dodged a very big bullet where he was concerned. No matter how good the sex had been there was no way she was going to risk her relationship with Scott again.

She settled herself deeper into Scott’s kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck. This was her man. This was her destiny. This was what she was meant for. Not a few cheap fucks in cheaper hotels with a guy whose idea of refinement was beer bottle that required an opener.

Pulling away with a groan, Scott settled his lips to nibble on her neck. With a happy sigh, Jean threw her head back to give him access.

“I can’t wait.” His voice was husky with lust and longing. Jean could feel his erection against her thighs. “I love you so much. God, Jean, I need you.”

“One week.” She whispered, just as huskily, just as aroused. “Seven days. I’ll be yours. You can do to me whatever you want.”

Scott groaned again, grinding his erection into the cradle of her pelvis. “Baby, I just want…” He couldn’t even form the words, so great was his need of her.

For a long minute the two of them grappled in front of her desk, allowing their fevered bodies to slither over the other, searching for fulfillment yet destined to disappointment. Until with a shuddering sigh, Jean pulled away, her lips swollen from Scott’s kisses, her face flushed from her desire, her green eyes sparkling with passion. Scott knew his own face was just as strained with frustration as hers.

“I’m dying.” He wailed but there was humor in his voice. He sat in her recently vacated chair and pulled her so that she sat on his lap. She snuggled into him simply enjoying his closeness and this rare quiet time together.

“So did you straighten out Marie?” Scott questioned idly, playing with a lock of Jean’s titian hair.

“I hope so. That poor girl is so full of anger. That harpy she calls a mother ran off and married a 70-year-old man without even telling her. Marie says she found out on the internet. God, that woman hasn’t even been here to visit her own daughter since that awful business a few years ago. And I think Bobby Drake has a thing for Kitty Pryde.” Jean sent Scott an accusing glare “What were you thinking pairing those two together as lab partners?”

“What…?” He shot her an outraged look “How am I supposed to know the romantic entanglements of these kids? I’m just trying to concentrate on my own.” He tweaked her nipple roguishly causing her to swat his hand away.

“Speaking of romantic entanglements, my first order of business after we get back from Australia is to fix Ororo up with someone.”

“Why on earth would we fix Ororo up with -- ” Scott’s eyes widened “Hey, wait a minute! How did you know Australia was the honeymoon? It was a secret.”

Jean laughed delightedly “Scott, I know your e-mail password.”

“But I changed it.”

“I know your backup.” She said with a grin. Grabbing his hand excitedly she couldn’t help but crow with glee “Oh Scott, Australia! The Sydney Opera House, the harbor, The Royal Botanic Gardens, flying on Qantas. How did you know I’ve been dying to go there?”

“I dunno, maybe all the times you’ve said ‘Golly, I’d love to go to Australia?’” He said dryly. “Well I am glad the cat is out of the bag. No more subterfuge. I am not a good one at keeping secrets.”

Jean felt a small pang in her conscience. God, when would the guilt end? Ever? She hid her disquiet by sending a small trail of kisses down his jaw line. She was rewarded by a sigh of satisfaction. She’s make it up to him. He’d never know it, but she’d be atoning every day for what she’d done.

“So what bee is in your bonnet about fixing Ro up?” He murmured enjoying her small attentions.

“She told me something very disturbing.” Jean responded sitting up so she could see the expression on his face “She thinks she and Logan are beginning to develop feelings for each other.”

Scott laughed delightedly, confounding Jean “Well it’s about time they admitted it.”

Jean’s red brows all but disappeared into her hairline at Scott’s reaction. “What on Earth are you talking about?”

“Good Lord, Jean, you can’t be that blind. Those two have had a thing for each other for ages. They’re both too stubborn and too deep in denial to admit it.”

Stunned Jean just stared at her fiancé.

“Haven’t you ever noticed that whenever we all go out Logan’s eyes follow her everywhere? He’s forever warning guys away from her. Hank once told me that Logan all but threatened to gut him if he ever hurt Ororo. Hank was laughing when he told me, but I think he was a little spooked at the same time. Logan’s a scary guy sometimes.”

Jean spluttered, “But…But…what about Hank and Ororo and…and Logan and….”his feelings for me “…and his harem?”

“I loved Hank,” Scott’s voice was now sober “But if he’d lived, he and Ro wouldn’t have lasted. He was part of her denial. And the fact that Logan couldn’t settle into one relationship is part of his. Those two are at their best when they are with each other.”

“Scott, you sound pleased. How can you be pleased by this? It is terrible. Horrible.” Jean didn’t want to examine why the idea of Logan and Ororo filled her with such disquiet.

Scott just looked at her in disbelief “What’s so bad about it?”

“I just don’t think Logan is right for Ro. I mean, she’s cultured and refined and he’s, well, he’s so earthy.”

“God, Jean, we’ve known Ororo since we were kids and you’ve never once noticed she can be just as earthy as Logan and then some?” Scott was tickled that his two friends were realizing they belonged with each other. Ororo was his sister. They weren’t related at all, but he considered her link to him as deep as a blood bond. He’d met her almost seventeen years ago on these very grounds. And while he and Logan had had a prickly start, they had become good friends over the past year. “Remember the Mohawk when she turned sixteen? Remember the lightning bolt tattoo at seventeen?”

“Typical teenage rebellion.” Jean dismissed “I’m talking about now. She needs someone else. I won’t stand by and see her with him. It’s just wrong.”

All of the humor had drained from Scott’s expression and he looked at Jean with a seriousness that one didn’t often see on his boyishly handsome face. “Jean it isn’t up to you to decide who Ororo should see. Let me remind you that you pushed her toward Forge and look how that ended up.” Jean had the grace to look abashed “I don’t know what you have against Logan. But you just need to back off and let the two of them figure it out. Ro deserves some happiness after all that she’s been through. I think Logan can give it to her.”

Jean was silent but her insides roiled. How could she begin to explain to Scott her objections without raising a whole host of questions? It wasn’t that she still wanted Logan for herself. That was completely out of the question! No, the simple fact was, she was Ro’s friend and she couldn’t stand by and see Ro used by Logan to get over his feelings for Jean. Surely that was the only reason Logan would be turning to Ro now after all this time.

Scott’s hands continued to rove over her luxuriously and Jean let her troubling thoughts and tension slip away.

“I have a review session in about ten minutes.” He whispered in her ear, nibbling at it “I’ll need all of that time to get rid of this boner. Unless you have other ideas how I might rid myself of it?”

Jean laughed silkily and devilishly let her hand drift down to his groin area. He gripped her arm forcefully to forestall her getting any closer. The next bite on her ear was a bit harder and deeper.

“Don’t start anything you aren’t prepared to finish.” He warned her.

Sighing, Jean disentangled herself and stood up a little shakily. She looked down at her fiancé regretfully.

“I am sorry. I don’t mean to tease. I really do want our wedding night to be special, Scott.”

Standing now and giving her a chaste peck on the lips, Scott smiled ruefully. “I know. I’d better get going before I throw you on the floor and ravish you. Wedding night be damned. What are your plans for the rest of the day?”

“I need to meet with Emma and go over some student files. Then I have an exam to proctor. And then I am off to the hospital.”

“Alright. I’ll see you there then.” They kissed lingeringly one last time before Scott went whistling out the door.

Jean dropped back in her chair as soon as the door closed. Her thoughts caromed back toward Ro and Logan. There was something visceral inside of her that simply rejected the idea of Ro and Logan together. Despite Scott’s objections Jean was sure she could convince Ro that Logan simply wasn’t for her. She’d figure out a way how. She just had to.
8. Storm in the Blood by Pandora
Ororo was in Hell.

Her feet ached. Her crimson velvet bridesmaid gown was too hot and the DJ had just put on the Macarena. The intermittent shouts of ‘Hey Macarena’ coupled with the clap-clappity cadence of the song had started an answering tattoo in her skull.

Hell.

From her perch at the bar where three empty martini glasses were lined up like little soldiers in front of her, Ororo cast a glance at the howling crowd on the dance floor. Jean, in her poufy white gown, stood in the middle of the boisterous group with a big goofy grin on her face as she moved her arms in the pattern required by the dance. Scott, trying manfully to follow the movements but failing miserably, was sporting an even goofier grin. He looked carefree and happy, his tuxedo shirt was unbuttoned, his bow-tie loosed and his formal jacket had long since been discarded.

Over in a corner, Logan was grinning down at the very blonde, very busty cousin of Jean’s who’d seemed to be glued to his side all night. Ororo sent them both a sour look and motioned the bartender for another round.

Service here was impeccable because in seconds the affable young man had set another martini glass in front of her, complete with two little olives stuck artfully on the toothpick submerged in the olive colored liquid.

“Here you go ma’am” he chirped cheerfully “very dry and very dirty.”

Ororo sent him a sharp smirk and sipped at the drink, loving the way the smooth, chilled, top-shelf vodka slithered down her throat.

The wedding had been beautiful. Jean had been a glowing bride in her pristine white Amsale gown, holding roses so dark and rich they looked almost purple. With the strains of Pachelbel’s Canon echoing through the sanctuary, she seemed to float down the rose petal strewn aisle toward her besotted groom. The church had been filled to bursting with family, friends and loved ones.

None had been witness to the complete chaos that had reigned mere hours earlier as Jean had turned into the ultimate Bridezilla.

-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Earlier that day

“Mom, the satin on these shoes no longer matches the color of the gown!” Jean stood in a seafoam colored robe, her hair up in massive rollers and her unmade-up face splotchy red from anger. She was waving the shoe in front of her mother’s face as if it was a sword and she was planning to skewer the poor woman.

This was just the latest in a long line of rants. The flowers were too big or not big enough. The seating chart for the reception was all wrong. The gown had too much tulle. She should have gone with the satin Vera Wang. She should have had a June wedding. And on and on and on. No one was safe from Jean’s harsh tongue or her piteous tears.

If Ororo hadn’t seen it for herself in full Technicolor, she would have never believed that Jean would so completely lose her shit on her wedding day.

“But darling, this is the same exact shoe we’ve had matched with the gown.” Mrs. Grey was a slim, fine boned woman who looked severely elegant in a lavender cashmere knit dress. It was easy to see where Jean had gotten her coloring and her looks.

“The people who sewed on the crystals must have messed up the original shoe and replaced it. This looks all wrong. I can’t walk in the church in a white dress and an egg shell shoe!” Jean’s voice was nearly a wail.

Ororo stood, poured some sparkling water into a cobalt blue goblet and handed it to Mrs. Grey who smiled gratefully and gulped.

“Jean, the shoes and the gown match. The company did not swap out your shoe. The lighting in this room is pastel. It is going to reflect differently off chiffon than it will off satin. When we get in more natural light, it’ll look fine.” Ororo’s matter of fact voice and her no-nonsense manner seemed to calm Jean’s frazzled nerves.

Over in the corner slouched on an overstuffed chair, Lorna, Scott’s sister-in-law and one of Jean’s other bridesmaids sent Ororo a salute. Another bridesmaid, her cousin Kassie was busily admiring her new boob job in the floor length mirror, oblivious to the drama.

“Jean stop acting like a baby, you’re throwing bigger tantrums than Gailyn here.” Jean’s sister Sara was fixing a torn sash on her daughter’s flower girl dress. She’d simply had enough and wasn’t going to be as polite about it as Ro.

Jean thumped in her chair before the wide vanity mirror where a hair stylist and make-up artist waited patiently to do their job.

“Jeannie why don’t you let Hénri finish your make up so that André can do your hair. We only have two hours before the guests start arriving.” Ororo nodded at Henri who began murmuring in broken English over Jean’s flawless complexion and grass green eyes. Meanwhile Andre began busily setting up his own workstation.

Mrs. Grey uttered a sigh of relief that this latest bit of world shaking tragedy had been averted. Ororo steered the woman toward the door of the suite they were all presently using to get ready.

“Mrs. Grey, why don’t you go on and get yourself ready. I think we have a handle on things.” With a grateful smile, Jean’s mom went to her own room to change.

“Jeannie why didn’t you tell me that Warren Worthington worked with you?” Kassie asked still admiring her profile in the mirror. Ororo was tempted to tell her to go get a room so she and her boobs could be alone. “I mean, who would have imagined that he’d be working as a teacher at a school. He’s so hot! And he’s richer than Oprah. What on earth is he doing here?”

“Some people actually like doing something useful with their lives.” Jean said archly as Hénri blended in a dusky shadow on her eyes, making the green in them pop. “Leave him alone, he’s involved with someone.”

Since Jean seemed a little more like her old self, Ro decided it was safe to step out for a moment. Slipping into the adjoining sitting room, Ororo called to check in with the hospital. She talked briefly with her father, reassured that he was feeling stronger but still a little concerned that even a quick conversation seemed to tax him. She was also heartsick that Moira’s condition hadn’t changed at all.

She also took the opportunity to call the Good Samaritan. Officer Ortiz had come through with contact information for the man. Ororo had planned to call him earlier but with the end of school activities and the upcoming wedding she’d barely even had a moment to breathe.

Of course this was the excuse she gave for barely even talking to Logan this past week. Ororo had tried not to think of that kiss in her bedroom, but it was a lesson in futility. She and Logan had both somehow managed to avoid each other with surprising ease this past week. Ororo sighed as she punched in the number for Mr. Covert on her cell phone.

This couldn’t last much longer or she’d go crazy. Most of the students were gone, Jean and Scott’s wedding would be over. Piotr and Betsy were both winging their way off across the Atlantic tomorrow for the holiday break, so she and Logan would have the house to themselves. As she heard the phone ring on the other end, she vowed that she’d corner Logan tomorrow and resolve once and for all whatever it was that seemed to be happening between them.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Present time

Ororo finished her fourth martini just in time for the Macarena to end. She was just sucking the vodka out of her final olive when the DJ’s voice came low and seductive over the mic.

“And now we’re gonna slow it down a bit. C’mon guys grab a special girl and hold her close.”

The silken voice of Luther Vandross filled the room, imploring people to promise to love faithfully.

“That tears it!” Ororo muttered as she saw Logan slither onto the floor with Kassie who plastered her newly purchased breasts all over him.

She’d had enough. She’d been up since dawn running and fetching and calming nerves. Her feet hurt, her head hurt and …. her heart hurt. Ororo looked around the room and saw people happily talking and dancing. Betsy and Warren were snuggling in a corner. Jubilee and Marie were at the DJ’s booth rooting through CDs, happily bickering. On the dance floor, Alex and Lorna were gazing lovingly into each other’s eyes, while Jean rested her head on Scott’s shoulder as they moved together to the beautiful song.

And Logan….well…Ororo simply her turned her back on the room and walked quietly out. She’d never felt so out of synch with everyone and everything around her. She just wanted out. Running up to the suite she grabbed her purse and made her way to her car.

The song ended and Logan bit back a sigh of relief. Warren owed him big. He’d been running interference all night between Jean’s bimbo cousin and Warren. The poor guy had worn the wild eyed looked of a man hunted throughout the evening. Logan had run into him in the men’s room where he’d been hiding out.

Normally Logan would find the whole thing hugely entertaining but he’d taken pity on the guy. Especially since the poor sap had finally gotten up the nerve to tell Betsy how he’d felt about her. Logan could relate to that, given his own situation with Ro. He figured he’d dance a coupla dances with her, divert her attention and then spend the rest of the time with Ro. But he’d miscalculated. Betsy had given the Bimbo a strong warning to stay away from Warren and she’d instead transferred her attention to Logan.

He’d spent all night fighting her off, he’d barely had a chance to speak to Ro.

“How about you and me go find someplace a little quieter so we can….talk?” Kassie looked up at him under her heavily mascara’d lashes and thrust her chest out.

Easing her away from him Logan gave her one of his killer grins. “Sorry, sweetheart, I need to ….talk….to someone else. You enjoy the rest of your evenin’.”

Without sparing her another glance Logan did a quick circuit around the banquet room, but didn’t see Ororo anywhere. He headed to the bar where she’d been the last few times he’d looked around for her.

“Hey bub, you see which direction my friend went? Sexy African-American chick with blue eyes and white hair? She’d been sittin’ right here the past half hour or so.”

The bartender’s eyes lit up “Oh man, is she a looker or what? Yeah, she said she was leaving. She left like five minutes ago.” He jerked his head toward the wide double doors that marked the entrance to the banquet room “She went that way.”

Thanking the guy Logan hurried out the front of the hotel and looked for Ro’s car. Seeing the spot it had been occupying empty, Logan cursed.

What the hell was she thinking? Logan’s gut clenched as he ran to his own truck. She’d been drinking. She knows better than to drink and drive!

On the drive to the house, Logan’s emotions see-sawed from sheer anger to gut numbing fear. How dare she run out like that? What if she had an accident? It was dark, the roads were slick and there was very little traffic on these roads on Christmas Eve. The image of the twisted wreckage that was Charles and Moira’s car danced through his mind and caused his heart to leap into his throat.

He was tense the whole drive and didn’t relax until he saw her car parked neatly in its customary spot in their garage. At that moment he allowed his anger free reign. She’d put him through hell all week. She’d avoided him, refused to meet his eyes when they passed in the halls and generally spoke to him in terse monosyllabic words. And now she had left a wedding reception after downing Lord knew how many martinis. He’d been willing to back off knowing that she was under a lot of pressure this past week. But, By God, that was over. She’d scared ten years off his life with this latest stunt. He’d chew her ass good!

Taking the stairs three at a time he allowed his rage to propel him up to her third floor apartments. Without knocking he burst into her room and came to a screeching halt as he saw her sitting in her window seat, calmly staring out into the starry night as if she hadn’t a care in the world.

“What tha fuck were ya thinkin’?” He snarled at her all the while feeling an incredible giddy happiness at seeing her.

Ororo’s eyes lit as she stood up and marched toward him “Don’t you take that tone with me, bub.” She sniped back at him. “Who do you think you are slamming in here like that and cursing at me?”

Logan refused to be distracted by her beautiful face, framed by white curls or her heaving breasts revealed by the low cleavage of the empire style red velvet gown she wore.

“I think I followed you here scared out of my mind because I thought that at every turn I’d see your car wrecked on the side of the road and you dead.”

Ro felt a twinge of remorse. She knew that she’d had no business getting behind the wheel after drinking but she’d felt cold stone sober and she had needed to leave.

“Yeah, well, I’m not dead. So you had nothing to worry about.” She shrugged daintily.

If anything, her dismissive little shrug stoked the fire of Logan’s anger higher “Is that all you have to say to me? You didn’t say two words to me all day. Hell, all week.”

“Yeah, like you’d noticed.” Ororo sneered “You were too busy staring down Kassie’s dress all night to notice anything.”

At Ororo’s words, whatever comeback he’d had dried up on his tongue and a speculative look entered his eyes.

“Jealous, Ro?” He asked softly.

Ororo scoffed, but they both knew it sounded weak. “What reason do I have to be jealous? It’s not like you….like we…” But she couldn’t finish because he was moving closer. She could smell his after shave. It smelled like the woods and grass. It was so completely him. And her knees lost a little substance as she took a good look at him in his formal suit. He never dressed in anything but his flannel shirts and jeans. In those he was ruggedly handsome. In a suit, with a crisp white shirt and a tie, he was devastating.

He slowly reached for her and drew her into his embrace. Ororo moved into the circle of his arms, her face titled toward his expectantly. She’d known this would happen. On some level she knew that they’d been simply prolonging the inevitable. Ever since that kiss in Red Jack’s their feet had been set on a path had led to right here, right now.

Logan lowered his head and kissed her lips. In a flash, the kiss turned to something molten. They both opened their mouths to allow their tongues to clash. Desperately needing an anchor or risk being swept under, Ro’s hands went up and clasped Logan’s thick, dark hair.

A small incoherent sound escaped him as he settled in deeper and devoured her mouth. His own hands wandered restlessly over her body until they settled on her hips, drawing her forward so she could feel his burgeoning erection. Even through the thick velvet dress, Ro could feel his hardness. Glorying in how she affected him, she rubbed her body sinuously against him, wordlessly letting him know that she was aroused as well.

Tearing his mouth away, Logan stared down into a pair of blue eyes that looked slightly dazed.

“Tell me to stop, Ro.” He whispered huskily, his chest rising and falling under the strain of his heavy breathing. “Tell me to stop. Or I won’t.”

Ro stared at him for an endless moment before reaching behind her to undo the clasp at the nape of her neck. With a little movement of her shoulders, the heavy velvet dress collapsed in a heap at her feet.

Logan felt as if a mule had kicked him straight in the gut. And then all the blood in his body seemed to pool right in his groin. He went hard as a rocket.

She stood there, in the twilit room wearing nothing but a black corset that plumped up her breasts and cinched her waist, a tiny triangular wisp of silk underwear that barely covered her thatch of silvery curls and a pair of thigh high black silk stockings.

She stepped back into him, reaching up to softly touch his face, “Don’t stop.”

With a low growl, Logan reached for her again. Picking her up, he strode over to the wide bed and placed her on it. Without missing a beat he swiftly divested himself of his own clothing; yanking the tie off, ripping the buttons off the shirt and stripping himself of pants and underpants in one quick move. Unlike, Ro who was still somewhat covered, Logan stood there gloriously, magnificently, proudly naked.

Ro could feel the dampness between her thighs as she stared up at him. She had seen him in various stages of undress so she knew that he was well built. But she had never seen him in all his naked glory. He stood there, his cock thick and engorged, rampant in its nest of brown curls. His eyes glittered with passion and something else. Something a little more raw, a little more elemental.

He joined her on the bed and for a moment he did nothing but stare at her. Ro could easily see what was going on his mind. It was the same thing going on in hers.

What are we doing?
…You look so beautiful.
Where do I begin?
…I can’t wait to touch you.

As if a switch went on in his head, Logan dipped his head to her throat and began to nibble. His lips traced a line of fire down her throat to her breasts. He lifted one brown globe from the top of the corset and sucked the hardened nipple in his mouth. Meanwhile one hand dipped inside the miniscule little triangle and caressed her moisture there.

Ororo’s hips lifted spasmodically and rubbed sinuously against his hand. Her head was thrown back to give him all the access he’d want anywhere else. Sensing her unspoken need, Logan thrust one thick digit inside her silken wetness and moved it in a slow, mesmerizing rhythm.

“Tell me what ya want, Ro.” He whispered thickly into the fevered silence.

For a moment Ro couldn’t arrange coherent thought. His finger inside her had set off some truly amazing sensations. It was only when he spoke that she realized she wanted…no, needed, more.

“I want you. Inside.” She panted, grinding herself hard against his hand. “Now. Can’t wait.”

“Okay.” He agreed “But I gotta taste ya first.” With amazing dexterity, Logan unhooked the corset and flipped it to the floor, freeing her breasts to his hungry gaze and even hungrier mouth. Even while he feasted on her chest, he smoothly ripped the little triangle nothing of panties off her. She was now naked except for the silk thigh highs.

Crawling down her body, he let his tongue replace his finger. Ororo’s spine arched and her thighs clamped his head in place at the first touch of his insistent tongue on her labia. Unable to bear it, her eyes drifted closed as she gave her body over the incredible ministrations of his lips, teeth and tongue.

Logan groaned as her sweet taste filled his mouth. This was better than he’d ever imagined. More intense, more incredible. He nibbled, he stroked, he licked and sucked. She was making small mewling sounds as she rode his face. Needing to feel a small measure of relief, Logan restlessly stroked himself with one hand.

Knowing that it would be so easy to lie there and just ride his tongue to glory, Ororo realized that that wasn’t what she wanted at all. Reaching down, she tugged insistently at his hair.

“I don’t want to come like this. Not like this.” She said breathlessly. “I want you inside me when I come.”

With one last luxurious lick, Logan assented to her demands. But instead of the settling on top of her as she expected, Logan instead lay on his back and settled her on top if him.

She found herself straddling him, his thick erection between them, cupped between her swollen nether lips. Without conscious thought she rubbed against him, making him slick with her wet heat.

His eyes were slumberous as they looked up at her. His hands slithered over the silk covering her thighs..

“You want it, baby?” He murmured in a voice of gravelly velvet “Then take it. Ride me, Ro.”

Needing no other urging, Ro lifted and impaled herself on his hot thickness in one swift stroke.

“Jesus!” He moaned, his hands gripped her even tighter, his teeth biting into his lower lip “God, you’re so hot, Ro. So tight. Shit!”

Ororo said nothing. She couldn’t say anything. Her entire mind, her being, her soul was centered in the place where their bodies were connected. He filled her in places she hadn’t even been aware were empty. She braced her hands against his broad chest and slid up and down on him. Her eyes were riveted to that thick length that was sliding in out of her. She’d never seen anything so erotic, so carnally sexual. It set off a feeling of incredible intensity in her mind and a storm in her blood. Unable to bear the sight much longer, she threw her head back to simply commune with the feeling. She became a thing of sheer sensation.

Logan watched her through half lidded eyes. She was magnificent. Her head thrown back, her hair in a wild disarray around them. She looked like a Valkyrie or some pagan Goddess of old. God, he could barely contain himself as he watched her. He’d told her to ride him and she took him at his word. She was sliding on him in a frenzy, rising and falling in a demanding rhythm. One of her hands was gripping one of her own breasts, caressing the nipple. The other was tangled in his chest hair.

Suddenly, Ro shifted. She braced her hands on the bed on either side of his head and her hips ground onto his. She leaned down to snag his lips in a desperate kiss before opening her mouth in a soundless scream.

He could feel her contracting around him with the sudden heat of her release. Before she could finish, he embraced her strongly and flipped them over so that she was now underneath him. In one smooth move, he had her hands over her head and his teeth at her throat. Unable to control himself he thrust into her wildly.

“God…Harder…more…More….Ahhhhh!” Ororo panted, wrapping her legs around him and angling her hips so he could go deeper. Her orgasm felt like it could go on endlessly as Logan thrust deeply in and out of her. After what seemed like eternity, she finally came down from her sensory high just in time to feel Logan’s.

“Too good. So good.” He muttered into her throat, nipping it with his teeth. “I can’t….I…So good. Yes, baby. RO!

Her name came in a shout as, with one final thrust he reared his head back, the tendons in his neck standing out in sharp relief, he poured himself into her. His body rocketed into her with such force he was amazed they didn’t break the bed.

Logan allowed himself to collapse on Ro, just for a moment he wanted to feel all of her. He was still inside her and he didn’t want to pull out. Not yet. This closeness felt too good to end.

Ro must have felt something of the same. Her arms slowly came around him and clasped him to her ever more tightly. Neither one said a thing, silently acknowledging the need to just be like this for awhile.

The evening drifted a little farther into night. Fearing that Ro would become too uncomfortable with is weight, Logan finally shifted off a bit.

Their eyes met, solemnly, questioningly almost fearfully. Here they were, best friends, naked in bed. Their legs were entwined; his hand lay on her hip, still gripping it possessively. Her fingers wound in his hair and their lips were a hairsbreadth apart. They’d just shared mind-blowing sex. What now?

“Logan, I…” words too heartfelt and meaningful trembled on her lips. What was the right thing to say? Ro decided to address her biggest fear “I don’t want to be just another one of your women. If…if this was just something you did because you just wanted sex then I need to know that.”

His eyes seemed to darken as they wandered over her face. One finger reached up to trace her lips, her nose and then her brow.

“Aw, Ro, you’re not just another woman. I’ve been driving myself crazy for weeks trying to figure out what I was feelin’. And how to get you ta see me as somethin’ more than just your buddy.”

Something warm and sweet blossomed inside her at his words. “Are you saying that this isn’t just a one night thing for you? You want this to be something more?”

Logan simply kissed her deeply before answering. “Ro, after what we just did how can you even doubt that this is something more. I don’t want just a one night stand. I was afraid of rushing you after Hank, but I …I can’t go back to just being your best friend.”

Unable to believe what she was hearing, Ro searched Logan’s face for any trace of insincerity. But his brown eyes were warm on hers and his face held nothing but truth.

“I can’t go back to being just your best friend either.” She whispered.

Realization came that their relationship had shifted onto a new plane. They’d acknowledged deeper feelings for each other. Now they were a couple. They were making the Ro and Lo Show the real thing. It was exhilarating, exciting and a little scary.

Logan reached down and drew the covers over them. Settling in, they spooned, with his arm heavy around her waist and her hand resting on his.

“Get some sleep.” He whispered into her hair, giving her a little kiss behind the ear. “We have some things to talk about tomorrow.”

“’kay,” she murmured snuggling even more deeply into him, thrilling at the feel of him wrapped around her.

“You know,” He said after a moment “I think you’re the best present I’ve ever gotten for Christmas. It was sure as hell fun unwrapping you. Think you can put that bustier thing back on tomorrow so we can do it all over again?”

Her giggles echoed in the darkness.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

On the other side of town

BEEP

“Mr. Covert? Hi, this is Ororo Munroe. You don’t know me, but my father is Charles Xavier. He and his wife Moira Mactaggert were in a car accident a week ago and your call to the police was instrumental in saving their lives. I just wanted to call you to personally thank you. I hope it isn’t an imposition. Please, I’d like to thank you in person. My number is 276-9018. I’ll look forward to your call.

CLICK

The sound of labored breathing punctuated the silence of the room. His fingers fumbled with the machine as he listened to the message again


BEEP

“Mr. Covert? Hi, this is Ororo Munroe. You don’t know me, but my father is Charles Xavier. He and his wife Moira…..

A strangled sound erupted as he’d masturbated to completion to the sound of her voice.

“Soon.” He whispered, lighting a cigarette with trembling hands and exhaling the acrid smoke into dim recesses of the room.
9. Bill and Coo by Pandora
The week between Christmas and New Year’s had been fun. Only a handful of students and staff stayed around during the break. But those that did had made the past week incredibly festive. Christmas day had been a happy occasion of gift exchange and fellowship. Their spirits had been lifted even higher by a video taped message from Professor Xavier.

For New Year’s they’d had a 70s costume party. Ororo had roped Marie and Jubilee into helping her decorate the gym to look like a disco, complete with mirrored disco balls and a psychedelic lit floor right out of Saturday Night Fever. The highlight of the night had been seeing Logan in an Afro and a white Tony Manero suit.

Although the past week had been quite fun, Emma Frost was glad the holidays were over. She was happy to back in her office doing the work she loved. She sighed with satisfaction as she signed her name to the final acceptance letter. It was a great feeling to admit a deserving student into their school. Xavier’s was highly selective and people vied mightily for the few spots that opened each year.

In her previous position, Emma had been a headmistress at a prominent private school in Boston. Yet when Charles Xavier had contacted her to see if she’d be interested in a deputy Headmistress job at Xavier’s, she’d jumped at the chance. It was a testament to how coveted positions were at Xavier’s that none of her co-workers even considered the job to be a demotion. On the contrary, they were completely envious.

One did not apply to work at Xavier’s. You couldn’t open a newspaper or log onto the net and see a job positing. Xavier never advertised a position. If he had staffing needs, he personally recruited specific individuals. To Emma’s knowledge, no one had ever declined the honor.

Oh, Emma knew that she’d never rise above the rank of deputy here. Even if Charles were to retire, Ororo would assume leadership of the school. That was a given. No, Emma was just happy for the opportunity to work with Xavier and to have such a plum on her résumé. One day she planned to open her own school, modeled after what Charles had done here. The fact that she was connected to Xavier’s would open doors that no other position to even begin to touch.

Giving herself a small shake, Emma moved her attention to staffing matters. Although the students were on break, the administration still had to put in full work days. Spring term was less than two weeks away and they were down three teachers. Before his accident, Charles had already taken steps to replace Hank. Because Hank had been a certified genius, Charles had actually decided he needed two teachers to make up for the loss of Hank.

Emma studied the files. There really hadn’t been much for her to do. Charles had already done all the legwork. He’d made the initial contacts, they’d accepted the positions gladly and he’d confirmed their start dates. It was all neat and tidy in their respective personnel files.

All Emma had had to do was arrange travel and offer assistance in locating housing. Even that proved easy. Both men were bachelors and had opted to take residence in the on campus housing provided for any Xavier’s teaching staff who chose to live on the grounds..

The only question left in Emma’s mind was the protocol in notifying the other staff. At her old school she would have announced any personnel changes at a staff meeting. But that clearly couldn’t happen here. Charles and Moira were in the hospital. Jean and Scott weren’t due back from their honeymoon for another week. Piotr was in Russia and Betsey had gone to London. Of the senior staff, only Warren, Ororo and Logan were around. And Emma had barely seen either Ororo or Logan all week.

Besides, one of the new teachers had e-mailed that he’d be arriving tomorrow, so he’d already be here before she could even convene a meeting. No, a staff meeting simply wouldn’t work.

For a moment Emma chewed her lip. She didn’t want to bother Charles with something so trivial. And she didn’t want to go to Ororo. Emma knew that Ororo had turned down the job as deputy headmistress, preferring instead to keep her job as Dean of Students. Emma also knew that Ororo was very careful not to step on Emma’s toes. She never offered advice or made it seem like she was second guessing Emma. For that Emma was grateful. She knew that Ororo could easily undermine her authority here, but Ororo made it clear the Emma was deputy. So, Emma was reluctant to run to Ororo. She didn’t want Ro to think she couldn’t handle it.

E-mail. Emma’s eyes brightened. It was quick, easy and she could include a little biographic paragraph on each new staff member.

Firing up her laptop, Emma brought up her email program and started typing the draft.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


“God I love your ass!” Logan grunted as he thrust into her roughly.

Ororo was bent over the little table in the front vestibule of their house. Her hands clutched the far edges of the table, as she widened her stance to give him more access. Logan’s hands gripped her hips tightly as he took her from behind.

They’d been out grocery shopping. On the way back, Logan began whispering naughty suggestions in her ear while she was driving.

“How about we take that chocolate syrup we just bought and I pour it all over you when we get home. I’m in the mood for some chocolate. I bet it tastes better after licking it off those pretty tits.”

Ignoring her pleas for him to shut up and stay on his side of the car, he simply sidled closer and made his suggestions even naughtier.

“You’re right, chocolate syrup is so been-there, done-that. Besides you taste better than Hershey’s any day. I’m hungry for ya. I could eat you all day. I just want to bury my face in your hot little pussy. Ya get so wet when I touch yer clit. I just want to roll it on my tongue and taste how creamy you get…”

Hearing the hitch in her breathing, Logan knew that she was becoming aroused. Deciding to play with fire, he unzipped his fly, grabbed her hand and wrapped it around his straining erection.

“This what you want sweetie?” He teased, moving her hand up and down on his long, thick shaft.

The car swerved a bit until Ro jerked her hand away from him. Sliding him a half indignant, half-amused glance Ro said “Fuck you.”

“Whenever. Wherever.” He promised, giving himself an exaggerated stroke before zipping up again.

Ororo couldn’t help but groan as he continued his dirty talk all the way home.

“Just wait til we get inside,” He be whispered as they turned into the lane that led to the house “I’m gonna do you from behind. I like looking at your ass. It’s shaped like a heart, did you know that? And you can reach down and cup my balls while I’m fuckin’ ya…”

By the time they’d pulled into the garage, they were both so amped up with lust, they barely made it into the house before they were tearing each other’s clothes off. A trail of shoes, socks, shirts and pants marked their path starting at the mud-room. They were both completely nude by the time they’d made it to the front hall.

Kissing passionately, they tried to make it up the stairs toward the bedroom. But Logan was too impatient.

Unable to bear not be being inside her for a second longer, Logan bent her over the dainty little pie table, his fingers wet from caressing her slick heat, preparing her to accept him.

“Baby, I can’t wait.” He growled thickly.

“Then fuck me!” Ro moaned as she felt him probing her aching, wet folds. She rubbed herself wantonly against his hand.

Not needing any further urging, Logan thrust into her. Hard. He closed in eyes as he buried himself to the hilt. God, she’d felt so damned good. Each time he entered her it was better than the last. In this lifetime, Logan couldn’t remember anything that felt as good.

In answer she thrust back against him, clamping him inside like a vice, riding his thick cock like her life depended on it.

“Ahhh, yes. Yes. Yes…” she whispered brokenly, moving on him frantically. “More. More….More…..Harder…”

Logan was pumping into her ferociously, his powerful thighs rippling from the exertion. One hand moved from gripping her hips to restlessly rub up and down her back, then to caress her beautifully rounded ass as it bumped against his groin. He loved touching her skin. It was so smooth and soft. For a moment he was simply mesmerized by the movement of her body as she slid back and forth on engorged cock. Unable to resist, Logan slid his hand around her to settle between her legs to where they were joined. The added stimulation met with a scream of ecstasy from Ororo.

“Oh, GOD!” Ororo could do nothing but lay herself prone on the table and hitch her ass even higher so he could go even deeper.

“Damn, Ro!” He urged hoarsely “That’s it, baby. Take it. Fuck it.”

Their bodies moved frantically in perfect concert. Each one was consumed by the hot, sweet agony of their lovemaking.

In a flash, Ororo came. Her scream echoed through the house and her body lost all coordination as she rode out her orgasm in spastic jerks.

Her frenzied movement brought Logan to his own completion. With a roar his body slammed into hers as he pumped deeply and desperately into her heated center, one hand now wrapped in her hair, the other moving to clamp on her hip.

“Ahhhh, yes. YES!” Logan could feel the release all the way to his toes. He was powerless before the utter pleasure it brought. Covering her like a stallion in heat, Logan allowed Ro’s tight, sweet pussy to milk him completely dry.

In the long aftermath, the only sounds in the house were the ticking of the massive grandfather clock and their own rapid, wheezing breaths.

Bonelessly, Logan slid off Ro and sprawled on the floor.

“You’re killin’ me, Ro.” He murmured, “But at least I’ll die a happy man.”

Ro slowly straightened from her bent position. Now that the frenzy of lovemaking had passed, she could feel other parts of her body. Her pelvis was bruised from being smashed against the edge of the table. Her head stung from where Logan pulled at her hair. She was sure there was a love bite on her neck. And there was a satisfying soreness between her legs.

Come to think of it, she felt pretty damned good!

This past week had been the most exhilarating of her life. She and Logan had woken on Christmas day, a little awed by their new relationship. But as promised they had talked.

“I want to be tha man in your life Ro.” Logan had said, his eyes serious, his hands roving over her tenderly as if he couldn’t stop touching her. “I want ta be able to come home an’ kiss you like I have the right. I want ta be able to touch you whenever I want. I want ta sleep in your bed every night.”

“If you want to be in the man in my life, then I need to be the woman in yours Logan.” Ro said softly. “The only one.”

“After last night can you even doubt that, Ro? I have never felt like this about anyone.” He kissed her lingeringly “You’re the one I want Ro. The only.”

“I just…” She swallowed convulsively “I’ve been hurt before and I don’t want to ever feel like that again.”

“I’d rather cut off my leg than hurt ya, Ro. Ya gotta know that.” His eyes were a little shadowed as unbidden Jean popped into his head. He didn’t know what Ro’s reaction would be if she ever found out about him and Jeannie, but on some level he knew that he never wanted to find out. “But I can’t promise I’ll never hurt ya. I can only promise that I’ll do my damnedest not ta.”

Ororo was silent for a moment. “I guess that’s fair.”

“Baby, I just feel…..so….” Logan struggled to find the words. He wanted to be able to explain how dangerously deep he was falling for her. But somehow he knew that it was too soon. It was all too new. “…you make me feel right. Good. Perfect.” He finished, sounding lame in his own ears.

But it must have been the correct thing to say because Ro smiled a smile so brilliant he was nearly blinded.

“I feel that way too.”

They grinned at each other.

“So does this make you my girlfriend?” He teased, tugging gently on a white curl.

“Yeah, I guess it does.”

They grinned more.

“I do have one request,” Ro said, suddenly sober.

“Yeah?”

“I am proud to be with you, but I think out of respect to Hank could we….not…” this time it was Ro who struggled.

But Logan understood. “I know how you felt about Hank, Ro. I know us being together so soon after him dying ain’t disrespectful. But I know not everyone will feel that way.”

“I am glad you understand. We don’t need to hide, but I don’t think we need to bill and coo all over each other either.”

Logan looked at her in outrage “Woman, I don’t think I’ve ever ‘billed’ or ‘cooed’ in my life.”

But the time for conversation was over. They made long, slow passionate love that morning before joining the rest of the students and staff at Xavier’s to exchange gifts.

That had only been the beginning. They spent the week talking, laughing, and getting to know each other in new ways. And making love. They quickly learned that their hunger for each other was damned near insatiable. Sometimes all it took was a look or a sigh and Ororo was on her back or on her knees or hitched up against a wall.

Now Ororo stood stiffly and stretched. Seeing her naked form standing above him, Logan got a gleam in his eye.

Seeing it, Ororo snorted “Not on your life, Ace. I need a shower and I have to get over to the school and help Emma. And you need to unload the groceries.”

With a sigh he stood too, letting his finger trace a sexy line from her throat, down her torso between her breasts until it came to rest on the silvery curls between her legs.

Ororo felt a quick flash of heat. Damn.

“Are you sure, you don’t have time?” He whispered silkily, allowing his finger to slip inside.

Ororo moaned. “It’s 30 degrees outside. The food will keep. You can wash my back….amongst other things.”

She grabbed his hand and pulled him up the stairs behind her.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


Logan whistled tunelessly under his breath as he flipped open his laptop. While he waited for the machine to power-up, he couldn’t help but smile inwardly. If anyone had told him six months ago that he and Ro would be together like this he’d’ve thought they were insane. But now, he couldn’t imagine anything better. It was good. Really good.

This past week, they were barely out of each other’s sight. Even now, she’d left just an hour ago, he was already counting the minutes til she’d be back.

Oh you’ve got it bad, bub! He grimaced. But he couldn’t help himself. She made him happy. Now all he had to do was hang onto her. Again, his liaison with Jean drifted across his mind.

Logan shook his head in disbelief. Feeling what he did for Ro, he couldn’t believe he’d gone almost two years believing he was in love with Jean. God what a waste! A prickly sense of unease crawled across his skin as he thought about his conversation with Ro. She didn’t want to be hurt. And Logan knew she would be if she’d ever found out about him and Jean. It didn’t matter that Jean happened before he and Ro got together. All bets were off in this situation.

Realistically, Logan knew he had very little to worry about. Nobody knew about him and Jean. He wouldn’t tell. Jean certainly wouldn’t tell. It was a dead issue. Closed. So why did he still feel uneasy?

Shaking off this weird mood, Logan decided to check his e-mail. He hadn’t looked at it for over a week and there were probably close to 300 messages on the server.

He saw the most recent message was from Emma regarding new staff.

“Sean Cassidy, hmmm” Logan murmured to himself as he read Emma’s brief bio of the new Biology & Biochemistry teacher. Logan whistled soundlessly as he recognized the name. Sean Cassidy had been in the news recently as someone whose expertise on biochemical weapons had been sought by the government.

Scrolling further, Logan’s gut clenched when he saw the name of the second new “well not new really -- instructor. He had to re-read it to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating.

“Holy, Fuck --!” He breathed “It can’t be…?” And then he saw the anticipated arrival date and his breath stopped.

Tomorrow. Shit.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


After being stopped for what felt like the tenth time to resolve some minor dispute, Ororo finally made her way toward Emma’s office.

She felt a twinge of guilt as she walked briskly up the stairs to the fourth floor administrative offices. She’d basically ignored all responsibility this past week. With the exception of Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve, she hadn’t come to the school at all. She’d been disgustingly content to laze around her house with Logan all week interspersed with her daily visits to the Hospital.

Ororo smiled ruefully as she turned the corner toward Emma’s office. She couldn’t blame Emma if she was pissed. Emma was the newest staff at the school. She’d only been hired seven months ago. And now she was practically running the place single handedly.

As she neared Emma’s door she could hear Emma speaking, her cool tones sounding more warm than usual.

“I just wish to apologize again. We simply weren’t expecting you until tomorrow.”

“No, I am the one that needs to apologize.” Came the deeper tenor of a male voice “I was able to get an earlier, direct flight and I just decided to come a day earlier. I knew Charles wouldn’t mind. I didn’t realize that he was in the hospital.”

“Oh, yes.” Emma’s answered, her voice almost lost under the sound of shuffling papers “You need to fill out this for your W-2 and this is for your health insurance. Anyway, yes, It was a terrible car accident. It happened about a week before Christmas.”

“Ah, the last time I spoke to him was right before Thanksgiving accepting the job here. I left the country soon after.”

Ororo’s steps slowed. She knew that voice. Oh, God! She knew that voice.

She stopped stock still in Emma’s doorway. Sensing a presence, Emma looked up and smiled invitingly.

“Oh, good. I’m glad you had a chance to stop in Ororo. This is our new Physics teacher---”

But Ororo wasn’t looking at her or listening to her any longer. Her eyes were riveted to the man whose head slowly turned toward her.

A pair of unsmiling black eyes, set in an impossibly handsome sun-bronze face, bored into her.

“Ororo.” His voice was as hard as granite.

Her response was a bare whisper.

“Forge.”
10. Unchain my heart by Pandora
Avoidance.

It was a skill that Ororo had perfected over the past week. From the moment that she’d simply turned on her heel and left without uttering another word after seeing Forge in Emma’s office until now, she’d been assiduously working at it.

If she’d had her choice, it was a skill she’d continue to practice until she’d completely mastered it.

Except, hiding out was not really her personality, as Logan had taken pains to remind her daily. And Ro had to admit that he was right. Drat the man!

And now, here she was hovering outside the door of her father’s hospital room, readying herself for a conversation that she’d avoided all week. Oh, she still called everyday, careful to speak only with his doctor or his nurse. But the chiding glances from Logan whenever she hung up the phone made her squirm with shame.

With a deep breath, Ororo plastered a pleasant smile on her face and thrust the heavy door open. As usual the private room with the pale lavender walls was filled to bursting with cards and flowers. Even a month after the accident, her father was still receiving well wishes.

He was sitting up having his blood pressure taken. Ororo’s heart lifted a bit as she noticed his cheeks didn’t look quite as sunken in as they had the last time she’d seen him. There was even a bit of color there. Nurse Haley looked up at the intrusion, her eyes lighting at the sight of Ororo.

“Well look who’s here.” She murmured, her lilting Caribbean accent falling musically on Ororo’s ears. Ro liked Nurse Haley. After three surgeries, and one very nasty infection that had almost killed her father, Ororo had relied on Nurse Haley to keep her sane.

Charles smiled brilliantly at his daughter and any anger or resentment Ororo had been hoarding for the past week, simply dissipated.

“Dad!” She dropped her purse on the floor, leaned in and gave him a smacking kiss “Oh, you look so good!” He was still alarmingly thin but the old vitality that was uniquely his was back. “I’m sorry I’ve not been by this past week.”

“You don’t need to explain, my dear. I know what the beginning of the term is like.” He dismissed her apology, with a small wave. His voice had a new alien raspiness. Ororo knew it was a by product of the tubes that had been in and out of his throat for weeks. She hoped it wasn’t permanent.

Nurse Haley finished her notations and looked at the pair sternly “He is tired and needs to sleep. You, young miss, can visit a half hour, no more.” Not waiting for Ororo’s nod of consent, the nurse sailed out and closed the door quietly behind her.

“I’m thinking about hiring her when it is time for you to come home.” Ororo murmured to her father settling comfortably in the chair next to his bed. “I’ve never seen anyone keep you in line like she does.”

“Indeed not. The formidable Nurse Haley quite frightens me.”

Ororo snorted and clasped her father’s hand. He was warm and alive. No matter what he’d done, he was alive.

Thinking of the reason she’d avoided him for a week, her face sobered and she looked at her father seriously.

“Forge arrived last week.” She announced baldly, her eyes never leaving her father’s face. “Nobody knew he was coming. Emma apparently announced it in an e-mail, but I walked right in on them and got the shock of my life.”

Charles’ eyes had closed in resignation and a deep sigh gusted from his chest the minute she’d mentioned Forge’s name. His fingers tightened on hers convulsively. Ororo knew her father well enough to know that it was a form of apology.

“Dad, what were you thinking? Why did you rehire him and didn’t even warn me?” There was no anger in her voice, just bafflement…and hurt.

“Moira told me that you’d never forgive me if I let you get blindsided. I did, didn’t I? I let you get blindsided?”

“Yup, you did.”

“Oh, my dear, I am so sorry. I’d tried to tell you on several occasions. But you were struggling with Hank’s death and you were so busy with Jean’s wedding and…” He stopped abruptly and smiled humorlessly “…and I am making excuses. I was a coward.”

“Okay. I get that. You couldn’t find a way to tell me. I’m sure you would have if the accident hadn’t happened. But why Forge? Are you trying to be a matchmaker?”

One brow rose superciliously in Charles’ aristocratic face “Rest assured my dear that I am most adamantly not trying to match-make. I re-hired Forge because he is first and foremost a brilliant scientist. He is doing some exciting things in his field. He is also a popular teacher who connects well with students. He will be good for the school.”

Ro laughed bitterly “Yes, Dad. I know the old credo. You always make decisions on what is best for the school. Fine. I am an adult. I can deal with the fact that my ex-fiancé who left me on the eve our wedding is back. The glances, the whispers, the stopped conversations whenever I enter a room-- they’re all happening again. I dealt with it before. I’ll deal again.” She stood and looked down at him “I love you. I am glad you’re feeling better. I need to go.”

She turned to leave only to be stopped by his hand clasping her arm in a steely grip.

“Do you really believe that I did this with no thought to how you’d feel?” Now there was anger in his voice as well “I rehired him precisely because of what you feel.”

Staring at her father in stunned disbelief, Ororo slowly sat back down in her chair.

“What do you mean?”

“Ororo, you are my daughter.” Charles sighed “When you came into that room the day of your wedding to tell me that Forge had left and the wedding was off, my heart ached for you. I was incredibly angry on your behalf. But I did nothing, choosing instead to wait and see. I decided to follow your lead to see what the fall-out would be. For all I knew it was nothing but a momentary spat. You never disclosed the reasons behind Forge leaving so I treated it as a matter between the two of you. But he never returned and you slowly picked up the pieces of your life.”

The intensity of her father’s dark blue gaze mesmerized Ororo as did the conviction in his voice.

“A broken heart, is as nothing.” He continued “It is a part of growing up and being in love. It was your spirit I was concerned for. I am not one for going after an errant suitor with a shotgun or a horsewhip. But believe me, dear, if he had broken your spirit or your soul, Mr. Forge would have been very fortunate to find a job picking up garbage on the side of the highway. No school or science lab would have touched him if I’d but said the word.”

Tears sprang to Ororo’s eyes as she realized that her father had been looking out for her all this time. “Thanks, Daddy.” She whispered.

“You don’t love Forge any longer. You haven’t loved him for awhile. He is no threat to you.”

Ororo had to grudgingly agree. Truthfully, Forge’s presence didn’t really bother her not in that way. After she’d returned home from seeing him in Emma’s office, she and Logan had talked about her feelings for Forge.

“I remember when Jeannie and Scooter got engaged, you got a little plastered and told me that he’d hurt you more than any guy had ever hurt you. I figured you were carrying a helluva torch for the guy.” Logan had said. His voice was casual but his eyes were watchful.

It had taken a few minutes but Ororo realized that Logan had felt a bit threatened. What they’d just discovered in each other was so new, so fragile. It could easily be torn asunder.

“I don’t love him anymore Logan, if that’s what you’re getting at.” Ororo had assured him. “I haven’t in a long, long time. But I do still feel humiliation that he left me at the altar. Some feelings linger a lot longer than others.”


No, Forge hadn’t been the issue. It had been her father’s role in all of this that had caused Ororo distress.

“You’re right. I don’t love Forge, anymore. Lately I’ve begun to wonder if what he and I had would have survived the long haul.” She smiled at her father ruefully “Ok, Dad. All is forgiven. Forge can’t hurt me and you’re doing what you need to do to ensure that Xavier’s remains the best school in the country. I do understand.”

“Well, my motives aren’t entirely pure.” Charles said with a small malicious twinkle in his eyes “If I am not mistaken, Mr. Forge will quickly realize that he is not returning as a prodigal. When he left you behind to face the curious stares and whispers four years ago, he may have felt that he got off scot-free. After all he wasn’t here to face the consequences of his actions. But that is no longer true. There is a reckoning to be paid for what he did, Ororo. As he will no doubt learn. And although you no longer love him, you were still hurt by him. It is like a festering wound. This is your opportunity to cauterize it so you can completely heal.”

Ororo sat back in her chair in amazement. He was right. Forge had gotten off scot-free. He had walked out without a backward look, leaving Ororo to face the music alone, painted as a pathetic victim “ a woman scorned. By coming back, he would be forced to defend what he’d done.

“I’m sorry. I should have known you wouldn’t hurt me, Dad.”

“Good, I am happy you realize that. Now what other news is there?”

“There is no change in Moira’s condition.” Ororo said softly, sadly. It hurt to go in and see the woman who had made her father so happy for the past five years lying there as still as death and yet not.

“I know.” He said, his eyes darkening with pain “Nurse Haley kindly allowed me to visit her for the first time just yesterday. She looks so peaceful. A coma is a curious thing. They tell me she may never awaken or she may wake up tomorrow.”

She started to say more but noticed that he was beginning to droop. Realizing that her half hour was coming to a close, Ororo stood up again.

“I’m going to let you get your rest, Dad. Nurse Haley will kill me if I cause a relapse.”

Charles just chuckled. Ororo leaned down and kissed him again, promising to stop in tomorrow.

As she left, her heart and spirit felt a whole lot lighter than it had when she’s gotten there.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


Ororo had arrived back home and told Logan of her conversation with her father.

“See I told you you shoulda gone to see him earlier.” Logan grinned and tugged her ponytail.

The two of them were in the kitchen busily making dinner. Ray Charles was on the CD player pleading with a woman to unchain his heart. Logan was sipping from a bottle of Sam Adams dark while he chopped onions and garlic. Ororo’s own glass of chardonnay sat neglected as she carefully measured out the Arborio rice for the mushroom risotto dish they both loved.

“I know, I know. I just felt so betrayed. But it was kinda neat hearing how he’d’ve ruined Forge’s life for me.” Ororo smirked at Logan “Let that be a lesson to you. Don’t mess with Baby Girl!”

“Oh, I think I’ll mess with Baby Girl.” He growled dipping in for a quick kiss.

Ororo enthusiastically returned his kiss before breaking it off to say breathlessly “Betsy will be back tomorrow and Piotr a few days after.”

“I guess that means no more sex in the front hall?” Logan lamented.

“”Or the laundry room”

“”Or the family room.”

“”Or the dining table. I liked the dining room table, it was sturdy.”

Ororo snorted “Yeah, but my back hurt.”?

Logan laughingly gave her ass a pat as he dropped the garlic into the hot olive oil.

“So we know what Chuck was thinking’ when he lured Forge back,” Logan said after a moment of companionable silence as they continued their cooking, “But why on earth would Forge return?”

“I don’t know.” Ororo said slowly, her brow puckering with worry. She hadn’t given Forge’s motives a single thought. “But you’re right. I can’t imagine --”

Her thought was cut off by the ringing of the doorbell. Logan continued to monitor the food as she went to answer. Suddenly, Ray Charles and the Rayettes were interrupted by loud squeals coming from the front of the house.

Seconds later, Ororo swept back into the kitchen with Jean and Scott in tow.

“Look who’s back!” She trilled with a wide smile.

Jean and Scott were both tanned and glowing. With a grin, Logan strode over and gave Scott a man-hug, chiding him about being an old married man. Neither Ororo nor Scott noticed that Jean and Logan didn’t really speak to each other.

“You guys have to stay for dinner.” Ororo said, after getting Scott a beer and pouring Jean a glass of wine. The two were perched on high stools that sat around the center island where Ro and Lo were working. “We’re making my famous mushroom risotto.”

“Liberally spiked.” Logan grinned as he poured a healthy dollop of the white wine in the pan where the garlic, onions, and mushrooms were simmering in olive oil and butter.

“We were hoping to lure you guys out to get a bite, but the risotto sounds better.” Scott said. Ororo noticed that he constantly allowed his fingers to play over Jean’s hand, or her hair or her arm “ as if he needed to constantly touch her. It was sweet.

“Scott wanted to.” Jean corrected sending her husband a repressive look “I just wanted to pop my head in and see how you were. With Forge back and all.”

Ororo grimaced as she poured two more cups on hot chicken broth in the rice while continuously stirring. “I am fine. I’ve done nothing but talk about Forge for a week. I’m kinda sick of talking about Forge.”

“I don’t blame you Ro.” Scott shot her a sympathetic look “What nerve he has coming back here. Geez, what the heck was Emma thinking to hire him?”

“Emma wasn’t the culprit.” Ororo said “It was my dad. Believe it or not, Emma had never heard the sad, sordid tale of Forge and I.” Ro told them about her reaction upon seeing Forge in Emma’s office last week “I had to tell the poor woman why I ran off like that. She was appalled at her own part in this mess. But I told her the blame lies squarely at the feet of one Charles Xavier.”

“I have yet to meet the jerk.” Logan put in. “Can’t wait to meet tha asshole in tha flesh.”

“Well you’ll get to see him in a few days. Full staff meeting.” Ororo reminded him.

“Yeah, well, I have no desire to see that loser ever again.” Scott huffed angrily. “The Professor should have had the dogs run him off the property rather than invite him back to teach.”

Ororo laughed delightedly and gave Scott a big hug. “Aww, you’re sweet. Don’t worry. I had a long talk “ several long talks actually “ with my father. He and I are of a like mind about very many things. Forge is a non issue.”

“Aren’t you all being a little harsh?” Jean’s voice broke in “What if he’s here to reconcile with Ro? What if he wants to make up with you?” Jean’s green eyes rested on Ro intently “Shouldn’t you give him a second chance?”

Ororo stared at her friend as if she sprouted horns and a tail. Even Logan and Scott were staring at the red head incredulously. “He left me at the altar and I never heard from the man for four years. Why on earth would I even want Forge back?”

“Ro you didn’t date anybody after he left until Hank.” Jean pointed out reasonably “It was obvious that you were still in love with the man.”

“I was for awhile.” Ororo conceded, stirring the rice and checking the moisture level “But I wasn’t pining for four years, Jean. I didn’t really date anyone because I didn’t want to date another teacher.” Her eyes cut to Logan quickly and then back to Jean “Right now, I wouldn’t have him on a solid gold plate with a crystal apple in his mouth.”

Scott raised his beer bottle in a salute. Logan simply winked at her.

“You say that now. But have you had a chance to talk to the man? What if he wants to apologize? What if he is here to tell you he is still in love with you?” Jean’s insistence on this point was beginning to annoy Ororo. “You’re single. Why not give him a chance?’

“Jean why are you belaboring this point? Ro has said she’s not interested.” Scott was baffled. Why would Jean keep pushing Forge when she knew that Ro had admitted to having feelings for Logan. He knew that she had objections to Logan, but Ororo was her best friend. To try and push her toward a man who had done something so unthinkable as to walk out on a wedding just struck him as odd.

As if reading Scott’s mind, Logan took up the drum. “Y’know Jean, you’re Ro’s best friend. I’da thought you’d be sticking one of your famous high heels up his ass before you’d be tellin’ Ro to run after him.”

This was the first time Logan had spoken directly to Jean since she’d walked into the house. Indeed, it was the first time since the day Hank died.

“Well, Logan, as Ro’s other best friend, I’d’ve thought you’d be behind anything that guaranteed her happiness.” Jean returned in a sickly sweet tone.

“Somehow I don’t think a guy who’d walk out on his weddin’ day leaving his bride behind to explain why his sorry ass took off is a guarantee to anybody’s happiness.”

Jean made a gesture of dismissal “I don’t know why I even asked you. It doesn’t matter what you think. You have no say in Ororo’s love life.”

During the little spar of words with Jean, Logan had shifted so that he stood behind Ororo. His hand rested on her shoulder comfortingly. Feeling his solid presence behind her, Ororo speared Jean with a sharp look.

“Actually he does have a say, Jean.” Ororo said quietly as she leaned back into Logan and lifted her hand to rest on his. A small smile curved his lips as he gave her a quick kiss on the temple.

Jean’s eyes widened as she took in the pair. So stunned was she, that it took a minute for her to realize the noise she was hearing was Scott’s whoops of glee.

“Wait…what…what’s going on here?” Jean finally got her voice back, her gaze bouncing between the two of them.

“We’re a couple Jean.” Ororo said “Logan and I are together. We’re lovers now.”

Stunned speechless, Jean could only stare at the two of them.

“About time!” Scott was saying gleefully “You guys are so perfect for each other, everybody saw it but you.” He sent Ororo a sly look “I wonder how much the pool is up to by now.”

“There was a pool?” Ororo asked him surprised.

“In this place? There’s always a pool. Gotta be pretty big by now too. I think Piotr started it that first time you pretended to be Logan’s wife. What was that, about a year and a half ago.”

“Quite sudden isn’t it?” Jean burst out “I mean, Hank has only been gone for three months. And Logan, weren’t you involved with someone recently? At least Ororo thought so.”

“Jesus, Jean-- ” Scott burst out appalled.

Logan’s eyes flashed dangerously.

“I know some people would think it was quick after Hank,” Ororo’s voice contained only a hint of the hurt she felt at Jean’s words “I just didn’t think you’d be one of them.”

Jean had the grace to feel bit ashamed. Ororo had confided in Jean about her feelings for both Logan and Hank. Jean knew better than most that Ororo would never enter into an intimate relationship lightly.

“I…I’m sorry, Ro.” Jean said in a small voice “You’re right. I’m not judging you at all. I’m just surprised. I love you and don’t want you to get hurt. I honestly believe Logan will hurt you. You said yourself he was seeing someone special. I just think you should be careful.” Her eyes met Logan’s again, this time in defiance “I don’t think you’re right for her.”

None in the room could doubt the sincerity in her voice. Ororo just sighed in exasperation. She knew that Jean didn’t trust Logan but it was a little jarring to hear it said out loud and with such conviction.

For his part, Logan merely shrugged “I know Ro thought I was seeing someone special last year. She kept ridin’ me about it. The fact is, I was seein’ someone.” At his words Ro’s body tensed, Jean went utterly still and Scott perked up. Logan’s amber eyes zeroed right in on a pair of grass green ones. “But it was only for a few weeks and she was no one special.”

Jean’s face darkened and her fists clenched futilely in her lap. Asshole. Jerk. Fucker!

“I’m not surprised.” Raising her head challengingly, she tossed her hair as she stood up “We have gifts in the car. Logan come help me unload.”

Without another word she turned on her heels and went to grab her coat.

“Uh oh!” Scott chortled “She’s going to lecture you about being good to Ro. Take it like a man.”

Logan set his beer down and gave Ro a quick kiss. He could see she was looking toward the doorway where Jean had disappeared with a worried frown.

“Logan, I know she disapproves of us, but just…don’t be rude. She’s just trying to be a good friend.”

“Don’t worry, babe. I’ll straighten her out.” With that he followed in Jean’s wake.

Out at the Summers’ car, Jean had the trunk open and was busily sorting through packages.

“What tha hell was that in there?” Logan hissed furiously “What game are you playing at?”

“Me?” Jean retorted incredulously keeping her voice low, “What game am I playing at? You’ve got some nerve. You’re sleeping with Ororo after declaring your undying love for me?”

“Oh, I see. You’re married to tha love of your life. But your panties are all in a twist because I’m with Ro now? What? You don’t want me but you don’t want anybody else to have me either?”

“Don’t be stupid.” Jean whispered furiously “This isn’t about me. This is about Ro and how you’re just using her to get back at me. I just don’t want her to be hurt.”

“Bullshit!” Logan spat back “You’re a selfish bitch Jean. The only person you think about is you. Let’s get somethin’ real straight here. I don’t give a shit about you or what you think anymore. I thought for a long time I felt somethin’ for ya, but I figured out real quick I was lyin to myself.”

“Wha…what?”

“It’s like I said.” Logan was suddenly tired. He was sick of the drama. He just wanted to move forward and be happy with Ororo. “I really did think I was in love with ya, Red, but after Hank died and then Chuck’s car accident, things changed with me and Ro. I just realized that I had wasted a lot of time these past couple of years.”

“But…but what about all those things you said to me.” Jean stammered. Her heart was pounding deafeningly in her ears. She couldn’t understand why the idea of Logan not loving her was so devastating, but it was. Oh God, it was.

“I don’t want ta hurt ya, Jeannie. Let’s just leave it alone. We’ve been out here long enough as it is. You’re married. I’m with Ro. I am happy with the way things worked out. You should be too.”

“No. I want to hear it. Say it. Tell me the truth. Tell me what changed?”

“What do you want to hear, Jean? That I’m in love with Ro? Well I am. I am in love with her. I love her so damn much that it hurts me ta even think about it because it scares me. I love her so much that I haven’t even told her that I love her because I’m afraid she’s not in love with me back.” His voice had dropped so low it seemed as if he were practically speaking to himself but Jean could hear every word clear as a bell. “So you wanna hear the real truth, Jean? Well here’s truth. I know that what I felt for you wasn’t real love because it didn’t feel like this. It didn’t even begin to feel like what I feel now.”

Jean swallowed a cry as Logan’s words ate corrosively through her heart. They were all the more devastating because she could hear the absolute truth behind them. Some part of her, some deep hidden part of her mourned.

“I see.” Was all she could manage.

“Jean, I did care for ya. It just wasn’t real. Not like this.” The compassion in Logan’s voice nearly undid her. “You’re with Scott. He’s yer husband. This…thing we did. What we had. It was a crazy thing. You and me should be grateful it is over and we never got caught and nobody’s gonna get hurt. We need to bury it Jean. Bury it deep. Or Ro and Scott will figure it out. And neither one of us wants that to happen. Do we?”

Jean closed her eyes in resignation. It was kinda funny really. She had been the one who had initiated the affair. She had been the one who had sought to keep it purely physical. And yet, she was the one who was finding it hard to let go. Logan was making so much sense. It was strange. She had resented him, wanted him, hated him and hungered for him. But she had never respected him. Not like she did at this very moment.

Slowly she raised her tear drenched eyes to his.

“I-I’m glad you and Ro found each other. Scott’s right, you two are right for each other. I’ve always seen it but never wanted to admit it. And you’re right. We need to bury what we did. But before we do, Logan. I just need to tell you that it wasn’t just sex. I “ I cared for you too.”

The two ex lovers smiled poignantly at each other. They’d made their peace and closed a dangerous chapter in their past.

Breaking the moment, Jean briskly pulled several gaily wrapped packages out of the car.

“Here, make yourself useful.” She thrust two of the bigger ones at Logan “We bought out half the continent.”

With a laugh, Logan juggled the packages and followed her back up the path toward the front door.

Before they opened it, Jean turned to Logan for the last time.

“For what it’s worth Logan, I think you ought to tell Ro how you feel. You might be pleasantly surprised by her response.” With one last smile, she thrust opened the door and walked into the house that was redolent with the heavenly smells of olives, garlic, wine and friendship.
11. He Hasn't Finished by Pandora
Mortimer Toynbee liked to have everything in its place. He did everything by the Book and was a stickler for details. This is probably why he was the perfect insurance investigator. Nothing ever got past him. Before he’d sign off on a claim, he’d check it twice and then go back and re-check everything again.

Sometimes his superiors were exasperated with his thoroughness. Whenever Mortimer was the investigator for a claim, inevitably calls came in to Fidelity Incorporated Insurance Company from the claimants complaining bitterly about their coverage. Normally, this would result in a lackluster rating for an adjustor. But Mortimer had stellar ratings.

Mortimer had a gift. He could sniff out insurance fraud like a hound following a blood trail. Sometimes it was the smallest, most insignificant thing that would raise the hackles on the back of Mortimer’s neck. But Mortimer would check into it and in doing so would inevitably uncover fraud. Over the years, Mortimer had saved Fidelity Inc. millions of dollars in false claims.

He was an insurance company’s dream.

Last week when Mortimer had received the final report from the field investigator investigating the total loss claim --- number XAV-3050900811 --- of a 2007 silver Lexus LS that had skidded on a patch of black ice and crashed into a retaining wall, he had been prepared to sign off on it. After all, it seemed pretty cut and dried. The car was totaled. The police reports had ruled out driver error. The driver, one Dr. Moira MacTaggart, had a spotless driving record and paid her premiums on time every month.

There had been no evidence of alcoholic impairment, no evidence of cell phone usage while driving, no evidence of speeding. In short no evidence of fraud and no reason why the company should not pay out the claim.

So why did the hackles on the back of Mortimer’s neck start to tingle as he read through the reports?

A week later, Mortimer had arrived in Westchester and was standing over the wreckage of the silver Lexus that was still in residence at Bob Bean’s auto body shop. He had done a little research prior to coming to Westchester. According to the National Weather service, the conditions for up to three days prior to the accident were not favorable for the formation of black ice. And the pictures of the accident scene he had acquired showed very little snow and no indication of melt off. So where had the black ice come from? He’d tried to call the witness, Mr. Covert, but had gotten a message that the number was no longer in service. His hackles rose even higher.

So now, under the watchful, curious eyes of Bob, the body shop owner, Mortimer took off his jacket, rolled up his sleeves and without thought to the conditions of the grease stained concrete flooring, he started his own painstaking inspection of the car.

Three hours later, a small rip was in the knee of his trousers and his dirty blond hair was matted with sweat and grime. But in his hand was a small twisted, slightly flattened cylinder of metal. And his expression showed triumph…and consternation.

“Is that a…?” Bob, guessing that Mortimer’s arrested expression while gazing at the object in his hand signaled something big, had come over to peer over Mortimer’s shoulder to see what he was staring at so intently. Instantly recognizing it, Bob’s mouth fell open.

“Oh yeah.” Mortimer breathed, his pale gray eyes glittered behind his round framed glasses as they lifted to meet Bob’s “This is a bullet.”


-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


“Are you out of your mind!” Marie hissed as Jubilee pushed her into the great room that stood right off the front foyer.

“I’m telling you nobody will bother us.” Jubilee assured her casting one last look behind them in the foyer before sliding the mammoth pocket doors until they were barely one foot apart. “The teachers are all in a meeting up in the conference room and students never come in here unless their parents are visiting.”

“But why are we in here?” Marie glared at her friend “You told me you were going to get me a phone so I could call Bobby.”

Jubilee waved her hand with a flourish at the old fashioned roll top desk that set in a recessed alcove in the rear of the large room. On top was a phone.

“Voila! Phone.”

“Are you mental? You know we can’t make long distance calls on the school phones.”

“Normally, no.” Jubilee said with repressed excitement, but she waived the mysterious slip of paper she had retrieved from her own room’s desk. “But I have Miss Grey --- I mean Mrs. Summers’ --- long distance code. We can use it here.”

Marie groaned. Jubilee and her schemes were going to get them expelled. Marie and Bobby had argued via the phone during the whole break. He had admitted “ finally - that he had been a little interested in Kitty. Marie had been devastated. She had wildly accused him of not wanting her anymore since he’d gotten everything he’d wanted from her. Why buy the cow, etc.

Bobby had been stung and outraged.

“I’m being honest with you.” He’d blasted. Marie could practically taste his rage dancing through the phone lines. “I love you, Marie but I’m not dead. I can still think that other girls are nice and interesting but that doesn’t mean I want to date them or dump you. Why can’t we just be like we were?”

“Because I didn’t know about your love for Kitty then.” She shot back. For one bleak second, Marie flashed back to a memory of her own mother having a horrible argument with her third husband, Senator Kelly, accusing him of having an affair with his secretary. God! Marie didn’t want to be like her mother.

Then there was yesterday. After yesterday’s bitter argument, there was something infinitely different in his voice. He’d been weary and it had leeched through his voice.

“Look, Marie. I’m sick of this. If you want to be with me you have to trust me. I can’t be there if you’re going to accuse me all the time of things I haven’t done. Think about it tonight. If you seriously can’t get past this then we’re done. I won’t be coming back this term. Call me tomorrow and let me know. If I don’t hear from you then I’ll know my answer.” And he had quietly disconnected his phone.

At first Marie had simply been pissed. In a fit she threw her phone against the wall and silently defied his stupid ultimatum. But after a while, her anger had shifted into fear. What if he really wasn’t going to come back? What if he really had gotten so disgusted with her he was willing to simply chuck school for a whole term just to get away from her?

Determined to discuss things with him rationally, she went to call him back only to discover that she had hopelessly broken her cell phone.

Figuring to buy a new one this morning, Marie had corralled Jubilee with the idea of going to the Mall. But to her horror and chagrin, Mall trips were still being highly regimented and chaperoned. And there were no mall trips planned until the day after tomorrow.

“I need a phone to call him back.” She’d insisted “Let me use yours.”

“Don’t have one.” Jubilee answered, popping a big wad of gum while flipping through the latest InStyle magazine with Halle Berry on the cover “man, she is insanely hot. I wish I had her boobs. Just one of them would add at least a cup to what I’ve got.”

“What do you mean you don’t have a cell phone?” Marie wailed bewilderedly.

“Don’t like them.” Pop! “I think they give you cancer of the ear. Do you think she’s had any work done? Nobody looks this perfect unless they’d had work done. I hear that she’s flawless in Hi-Definition.”

Marie flopped down on Jubilee’s bed with her head in her hands.

“How can you, of all people, not have a cell phone? You’re always talking to people.”

“I like to talk to people in person.” The wad shifted to the other cheek “I need to see faces and get reactions. For instance, I am loving yours right now.”

“Jubes, “Marie whined “I need to call him.”

With a long suffering sigh, Jubilee gave her friend a considering look and then stood up abruptly.

“Wait here.” She said and went over to her desk to riffle through the top drawer. “Follow me.”

Marie and stood up meekly and followed Jubilee from their dorm room over the lawns and into the main building where they were now in front of the roll top desk staring at the phone.

“What if somebody comes?” She asked, her anxiety over Bobby outweighing her anxiety over using the stolen phone code.

“Do you have your cell phone with you?” Jubilee asked.

With a puzzled look, Marie dug her phone out of her jean pocket and handed it over to Jubilee.

“Good. Now you go sit back there on the other side of the desk and make your call. I’ll stand here and ‘talk’ into your cell phone.”

“But it doesn’t work, Jubes.”

Jubileee rolled her eyes in exaggerated frustration “Of course it doesn’t work, but I’ll be pretending to talk. That way if someone approaches I’ll make it seem like I just stepped in here for a moment of privacy to use my perfectly legal and honorably paid for personal phone. If I see anyone coming I’ll say something really loudly like ‘Oh that’s just stupid!’ and you can hide by the bookshelf.”

Jubilee pointed out a little recessed nook of built in bookshelves that stood just beyond the roll top desk. From where they were standing in the front of the room, the combination of the desk and bookshelf obstructed the view of anyone looking in that direction.

In a moment of agonizing indecision, Marie just stood there looking from the phone to Jubilee back to the phone again.

“What are you guys doing in here?”

Startled, both girls whirled around to see Kitty standing quietly in the doorway.

“Perfect.” Marie mumbled but Jubilee rushed forward, grabbed Kitty by the arm and jerked her fully into the room, closing the doors completely this time.

“Marie needs to make a call.” Jubilee announced baldly.

“What --?”

“ --- Oh, great, Jubes, tell the world why don’t you!” Marie fumed, shooting Kitty a dark look.

“Bobby’s going to break up with her and not come back to school if she doesn’t call him today.”

Kitty’s shocked exclamation was drowned out by Marie’s strangled shout.

“Jubes! Why don’t you just go up to Professor Xavier’s office and announce it on the intercom? Geez!”

“Is she serious?” Kitty asked.

“Yes, she is.” Jubilee inserted smartly, returning Marie’s glare with a pert smile of her own. “Look, I’m sick of the animosity. I am Kitty’s friend, I am your friend. We used to all be friends until you got your brain fried by love. Bobby has said he’s not interested in Kitty and Kitty has said she’s not interested in Bobby. Right, Kitty?”

“I don’t want Bobby. I---I like someone else.” Kitty cleared her throat awkwardly as she made that admission.

“See. She likes someone else, whom I’m sure she’ll tell us all about later cuz I for one am dying to know who it is. But Marie,” Jubilee’s voice had finally lost some of its lightness and became utterly serious “can we just give it a rest? Bobby is obviously in love with you if he is willing to sacrifice school. Give the boy some credit. And while you’re at it, give Kitty some too.”

“I’d never poach on your boyfriend, Marie,” Kitty said hesitantly “I am not a girl who would do that to a friend.”

Marie felt tears prickle in the back of her eyelids. She had been so angry for so long that she didn’t know how else to be. Truthfully, Kitty wasn’t the real problem. Kitty had simply been a convenient target because the real object of Marie’s anger, her mother, wasn’t around.

She was tired of being mad all the time. She loved her mother desperately and hated her fiercely. It had taken near tragedy almost three years ago to even get her mother to come for any extended visit. Now she was lucky if she’d even heard from her mother twice a year. Marie had more contact with the lawyers who administered her trust fund than she did with her own mother.

No, Kitty was just an easy target. Especially since Kitty’s relationship with her mother was exactly what Marie had longed to have with hers. The Prydes visited often and never missed a parent’s weekend. And Mrs. Pryde was forever sending care packages. Really, it wasn’t Kitty’s fault that Marie’s mother was a terrible parent.

“I’m sorry, Kitty.” Marie finally said after a long minute of painful silence “I’ve been a jerk to you.”

Kitty gave Marie a tentative smile, reaching out to hesitantly touch her hand only to draw back quickly.

“That’s okay.”

“Whew!” Jubilee burst out with an exaggerated wiping-the-brow gesture. “Glad that’s settled. Now Kit-Kat you can help us with the great phone caper. Miss Cell Phone Killer over here needs to call her boyfriend but has no phone to do it. So we have to use the phone in here. I have it all planned out.”

“If her phone isn’t working, why not just let her use yours?” Kitty gestured to the phone in Jubilee’s hand.

“This isn’t my phone, this is the Dearly Departed. I don’t own a phone.”

“You don’t have a cell phone?”

Jubilee threw up her hands “What are they, like, measles shots or something?”

“She thinks they cause ear cancer.” Marie said dryly.

But Kitty was whipping hers out of her pocket and handing it to Marie. “Here use mine.”

As Marie gratefully reached out to accept the phone, they heard the unmistakable sounds of a large group of people approaching the room.

“We can speak privately in here Detective Bishop.” It was Miss Munroe’s voice.

The three girls glanced at each other in startled panic before, as one, they dived behind the roll top desk and crouched out of sight in the shadowed nook.

Just in time as the pocked doors slid open and what seemed to be a veritable troop of people entered.

“I’m sorry, I’ve already met Officers Ortiz and Dale but I don’t think I caught your name?” Ororo turned to a tall, pale skinned, striking brunette in a mannishly tailored black suit which had a gold detective’s badge affixed at her waist.

“I’m Detective Fixx, Jane Fixx. I’m Detective Bishop’s partner.” Her voice was a surprisingly sweet soprano to come from someone who looked so severe. She was a complete contrast to the ruggedly built black man who was her partner.

“Please have a seat,” Ororo motioned them to the cluster of overstuffed chairs and the large couch that made of the seating area in the front of the big bay window.

As they all sat, Jean came striding in followed quickly by Scott and Logan.

“Do we need to call Evangeline?” Jean asked Ororo eyeing the pair of detectives, the two officers and the odd looking smaller man with the dirty blonde hair and round eye glasses.

At Detective Bishop’s raised eyebrow, Ororo clarified.

“Evangeline Whedon is my father’s lawyer.”

Bishop nodded his head “I’ve heard of the formidable Ms. Whedon. But I don’t believe you will be needing a lawyer.”

Ororo gestured to the smaller man “But you said you were from the insurance company and that there was a problem with the claim. And you’re here accompanied by the police. I can only believe that you’ve discovered some evidence that leads you to believe that the accident was caused by some negligence on my father’s part or his wife’s.”

“Miss Munroe we have uncovered new evidence and it does pertain to the claim.” Mortimer Toynbee explained “however it isn’t about negligence.”

Logan, who had come to stand behind Ro, speared Bishop with a sharp look.

“Detective Bishop, exactly which department are you with? I can’t imagine a simple traffic accident would require the attention of a detective first grade such as yourself.”

Bishop studied Logan intently. Because he was one himself, he instantly recognized a dangerous man when he saw one. Now how did Xavier manage to sneak a wolf in amongst his sheep here? Bishop wondered to himself.

“We’re with Homicide.”

For a moment all the air seemed to suck out of the room as the Xavier occupants digested that bit of information. Behind the desk, three pairs of eyes widened with uncertainty.

“Homicide?” Scott, having unconsciously taken up a stance similar to Logan’s behind his wife, stared incredulously at the police. “B-But…they were in a car accident.”

“Miss Munroe,” Detective Fixx addressed Ororo but allowed her eyes to touch the other three Xavier occupants “The fact of the matter is, as far as the police were concerned it was an accident. There was no evidence of any other vehicle, there was an eye-witness statement that clearly matched what the officers on the scene had observed and what we were able to ascertain in our subsequent investigation. But Mr. Toynbee here discovered something rather disturbing. Mr. Toynbee.”

He turned toward Ororo, his attention planted firmly on her. For such an unprepossessing little man, he somehow managed to command everyone’s attention effortlessly.

“I was prepared to give the final approval of the total loss claim on your father’s vehicle when something caught my eye on the report. It was the witness statement whereupon he indicated that the driver lost control on a patch of black ice. Well, as I am sure that you know, black ice is not at all black. In fact it is invisible to the naked eye. By his own account, Mr. Covert was well over four meters away from the car when it skidded and had insisted that he hadn’t approached the car until the police had arrived. I was interested to know how he was so certain that black ice was the cause.”

The room was quiet as death as the occupants listened mesmerized to Mr. Toynbee’s clean tones. Behind the desk, Jubilee had clamped her fist in her mouth while Marie had forgotten how to breathe. But Kitty was sitting at the very edge of their hiding space, trying to hear every word.

“At first, I was simply curious. So I checked with the National weather service and your own local newspaper to see the weather reports for that day and up to three days preceding the accident.” Mr. Toynbee continued his narrative explaining his thought processes. Ororo felt a chill dance over her skin as she listened to his precise little narrative.

“And then, that is when I found it.”

“Found what?” Jean’s voice was almost a whisper, like that of a child listening to an adult telling an enthralling fairytale.

“The bullet lodged deep in the tire.”

Ororo’s breath hissed in as she looked at Detective Bishop for confirmation.

“Miss Monroe, what I am about to tell you does not leave this room. It is privileged information but I believe you need to hear this because I believe you can help us. The bullet Mr. Toynbee found in your parent’s car has been identified by our ballistics experts as coming from the same gun that killed two people in the Mall shooting that happened almost four months ago. One of those people was your coworker.”

“What about Mr. Covert? The eyewitness? He didn’t say anything about a shooter?” Ororo could barely recognize her own voice. The thin spiral of panic did not sound like her.

“Miss Munroe,” this time it was Officer Ortiz of the compassionate eyes “Mr. Covert has effectively disappeared. His last known address has been empty since early January. We can’t find any information on him going farther back than three years. We think he caused the accident.”

“But ---But why would he call the police and save their lives if he was involved?”

“I am not sure what his motives are Miss Munroe,” Detective Bishop’s face was hewn from stone “but I am sure of three things. First, this Mr. Covert is our sniper. Second, the name --- Mr. Covert , Eric D. -- is most assuredly as alias. And Third, he has targeted your school or individuals in your school.”

The mischief and dangerous pleasure that Kitty, Jubilee and Marie had felt as they hid and listened had completely dissipated as they stared at each other now in naked fear.

“Oh, I should add a fourth thing.” Det. Bishop’s voice mercilessly broke the silence one last time “I am pretty sure he has not finished.”
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=2297