Playdates and Permission Slips by Goddessreiko
Summary: Two single parents meet and try to be civil with each other when they apparently have nothing in common except that both of their children attend the same exclusive school. Will this one-sided attraction lead to something more?
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Comedy
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 71781 Read: 28110 Published: 03-21-07 Updated: 03-02-08

1. Going For Broke by Goddessreiko

2. I Wanna Be Barbie When I Grow Up by OriginalCeenote

3. Seven and Ten Spilt : Part One by Goddessreiko

4. Seven and Ten Split: Part Two by Goddessreiko

5. Spare Me… by OriginalCeenote

6. Final Frame by Goddessreiko

7. Because I Said So by OriginalCeenote

8. Make New Friends by Goddessreiko

9. Yard Duty by OriginalCeenote

10. Obligations by Goddessreiko

11. Making the Grade by OriginalCeenote

12. Calling Out by Goddessreiko

13. Goodie Bags by OriginalCeenote

14. Positive Reinforcement by Goddessreiko

15. Let’s Get Extracurricular by OriginalCeenote

16. Sign here, here, and uh here... by Goddessreiko

17. Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around… by OriginalCeenote

Going For Broke by Goddessreiko
Playdates and Permission Slips
Chapter One: Going For Broke


Logan sighed and shook his head at the catalog in his hands. Despite the brilliantly sunny spring day in the City that Never Sleeps, he could see doom and gloom ahead for his already thread bare wallet. He turned the page again. The first three pages were all soccer jerseys. Each one more bright and colorful that the last all following in the latest styles of form and function. Also each more expensive than the last.

He let out another groan. The next section was cleats. Logan rubbed his temples softly, looked up and waved at his daughter. She and her curls came bouncing over with Surfer Barbie in tow.

“Hi Daddy, what’s wrong? You look sad.” She climbed onto the bench next to him and patted his knee in a near patronizing way that warmed his heart. Suddenly the financial burden of extra curricular activities seemed slightly less.

“I ain’t sad, little darlin’,” he chided. “I just was a lookin’ at this stuff for you. I forget which one you said you liked.”

She looked up at her daddy and saw that he was looking at the soccer book like he hated it. Then she saw why. He was always complaining about not having enough money. She didn’t know how much he had, but he always made things appear for her, and made her look nice. None of her friends at her super nice school who lived in expensive [what where they called again…] townhouses knew that her Daddy [who could always beat up any one else’s] had money problems. Then she looked and pointed to a jersey that she knew would be too much of a problem for anyone.

“Laura, baby, are you sure? Cause the purple and orange kinda look…ugly.” Logan looked at the price right under her slightly chubby digit. Under forty bucks! He held in his sigh of relief.

“Daddy!” Laura let out a frustrated sigh that identically matched her father’s. “How many times do I have to tell you? A pretty girl can pull of any look. Besides, my friends will look awesome as we cream other teams in colors that hurt when you look at them. That’s two kinds of hurt in one, just like you taught me.” She flashed him that trademark smirk.

“So the other girls won’t mind?”

Laura cupped her hands together and called out her friends that where near the jungle gyms that were conveniently doubling over as a Barbie complex since the girls commandeered it from the boys twenty minutes ago.

The first one to rush over was Laura’s best friend Rachel. All red hair and energy, just like her mom, Logan thought when he tried to think non-nasty thoughts about the fiery M.I.L.F. that made Monday nights and the occasional Wednesday lunch…interesting. Too bad that wasn’t working. And technically, Jeannie wasn’t a Mom he’d like to fuck. She was a Mom and wife he was fucking…as was Room Mom Raven, School Play Costume Designer Sue, Principal Emma, and Heather, the wife that got away, sorta. Logan knew that eventually he would have to change his criteria of attractive women to single and unmarried, but tomorrow seemed like an excellent day to do that. Procrastination always looked good on him.

Change of topic. Change of topic. Change of topic….

Laura took the book from his hands and opened it up to the page of the jersey she saw and showed it to her friends, who also made up her soccer team. There was a unanimous vote that the orange and purple jerseys would be the team choice for this year.

All the girls went back to their spot in the park, and left Logan to muse buy himself about how the hell he still had to pay out the ass for his eight year old’s private school even though she had a scholarship. Sure Laura scored high enough to get a full ride to the extremely exclusive Institute for the Gifted, but she had friends who had nice things, and he would do every he could so that she wouldn’t feel left out. So that meant overtime and weekends, even though much of that monetary effort was eaten up in babysitters. He always gave thanks to Kitten and Jubee. They always were ready for Laura.

He leaned back and stretched out his legs and pushed up his sunglasses. The spring air called out to him and his legs wanted to feel the vibrations of his chopper. Those days were over, and he almost missed them. He recalled some of the horrid things that came along with them, and heard his daughter giggle. Nah, he didn’t miss them at all. The winds were calling, that‘s all. He sniffed the air and caught the local hot dog stand, cotton candy, perfume, and the feminine voices that it belonged to giggle. He slightly turned his head in that direction and caught a pretty blond in her stare, and her blush as she whispered to her friend who gave his physique an open approval. Just behind him he heard an older, and still doable, woman compliment him on being the only Dad at the park willing to put up with the traditional Mother and child atmosphere in the public park. Life was good now. He may even walk out of here with at least three numbers that he was planning on actually using…soon.

Of course as soon as he got comfortable he heard his daughter shriek and he heard the four stages of Killer Tears.

1.) The Silence.
2.) The long painful single sniffle
3.) The Wail
4.) The Tears.

He ran over to see what the problem was and found his daughter’s current new favorite doll in pieces under a high tech big wheel battery operated toy ATV.

Even though the question was completely redundant he asked it anyway, “What happened, Darlin’?”

Laura ran up to him and through herself at his knee and hugged it for all she was worth. The tears continued and so did her story that was completely non-understandable.

Apparently the boys who got beat from their jungle gym territory didn’t like it one bit. Instead of taking it in stride, they had laid in wait. While replenishing their remote controlled cars with new batteries, the attacked the girls and kept them running. The girls, caught in a surprise attack, drop the dolls and ran, which is exactly what the boys wanted. The cars trampled over the tiny clothes and accessories that had been laid out. Unfortunately, Laura had dropped her doll first, and therefore she was the first casualty. The teary response was all the boys wanted.

Rachel was the one to recant the story, since the other’s had been also mourning their loss too. The little red-head was just angry and indignant, mainly because her brother and his best friend had spear-headed the attack.

Logan turned around to the area right behind the sandbox. Sure enough just as he looked the smarter little boys turned around to whatever they were doing, but Nathan and his friend Lucas glared right back for a bit. Nathan was the smarter one to turn back around first, but Lucas actually raised his head and almost dared Logan to do something about all of this.

James Howlett, known casually as Logan, was never one to back down from a dare, ever. Not even from an eight year old.

“Excuse me, son, what did you do to my daughter’s things?”

There was a low snicker and some casual shrugs which only pissed off the former off the record military man. That was never a good thing.

Lucas looked at the man and seemed nonplussed. He had seem him around at the school doing stuff, talking to the teachers, and meeting with the principle. She always looked like she ran a mile when she came out of her office after meeting with him. Lucas was no dummy, he knew what was going on. He had told his mommy that, and she told him that one day that “tart principle of his” would get what was coming to her. So he assumed that this man was just as much of a “tart.”

He looked at the man and casually responded, “ I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Logan took out what was left on the Barbie and bent down to show the young boy. “How did tire tracks get on her toy?”

“An accident?”

“How so?”

“Well, she started it.”

“Excuse me? Look son, Lyin’ ain’t gonna get ya outta this.”

“I’m not! I can prove it too. MOOOOOOM!”

Logan groaned. This small problem was getting bigger and bigger. Damn and all he wanted was his daughter to have a good time, and maybe even a number or three.

But as he looked up, he immediately stopped his train of thought bit his lip and stifled a groan. The prettiest feet he’d ever seen wrapped in a pair of deep green peekaboo kitten heels holding up the longest chocolate legs he’d had ever seen. If this was a movie there would be a slow camera pan right now that would have taken up a whole ten minutes. Her legs calves were beyond perfect. No cankles. Just pure graceful muscle, soft and strong at the same time. They even glowed at him. Logan didn’t know what stopped him from sticking out his tongue and licking them. His eyes moved up and marveled at her knees. No sag, just adorable roundness he knew he was going to get as he moved his eyes upwards. She was wearing a matching army green short (very short) pair of designer cargo shorts with a matching top. To break up the green, she paired it with a wide dulled out orange belt that made her flat tiny waist the focal point of the outfit. Too bad her fairly large chest took away from that. Logan tried really hard not to grin.

But he was taken back by what he found at top. Way up top. First of all, this woman had to be just under six feet tall. No wonder why Logan was mesmerized by her legs, that was the majority of her. But her face nearly brought him to his knees. Her oval face was flawless. No makeup except for a bright lip gloss, which made her already plump lips even more enticing. She was agitated and ripped her sunglasses off to flip them on her head and had them hold her hair back. Logan found himself staring the bluest eyes that ever blued. Of course they were extremely blue because of the shoulder length snowy hair that framed her face.

Holy shit!

“Hi, I’m James Howlett, but everyone calls me Logan.”

“Hi. I’m Pissed Off.”

Ooooh, this was not going well at all. He hated starting off with Damage Control. Weren’t daughters suppose to be good with picking up women? So far Laura had worked wonders, but right now the Howletts were failing miserably.

“I’m sorry,” he countered.

“You should be,” she said like she…

“Wait. What?!”

“Your daughter and her friends started this. While my son ended it,” she looked down at him and glared, “which will be dealt with later.” He did have the smarts to look sheepish then. “Ask your daughter how she and her friends got to have the entire huge jungle gym to themselves when they were not on there to begin with by themselves.”

He turned around to see Rachel and Laura look away quickly. Oh great. He held up a single finger and motioned her to come forward.

“Laura?”

“They wouldn’t share.”

Lucas chimed in immediately. “Oh my god! You guys didn’t even ask. You just pushed us out of the way. There was four of us and seven of you!.”

“So,” Laura asked not feeling like she was at fault.

“Laura,” Logan said through gritted teeth. “What did I tell you about that?” Laura rolled her eyes. She didn’t want to admit that she and Lucas were always getting in trouble with each other in class too.

The woman turned to her son and had an obvious revelation. “Luc, is this the girl that your always fighting with in class?”

Laura flinched and Logan widened his eyes at her.

The young boy looked down and said, “no,” in a totally unconvincing way. She sighed, and suddenly Logan saw her as more as the stereotypical trophy New York wife he found himself having to deal with.

She looked at him with soft eyes for the first time. “Is there a way we can fix this so it no longer escalates in school? How about I bring over a new Barbie?”

The idea of Legs in his Brooklyn apartment left him feeling suddenly inadequate. He could tell from her attire that she was used to the Upper East Side and the finer things in life. Unlike the other women who lived in her world that he could easily tossle with, he knew that this woman would be hard work that he just didn’t have the time for. So he wasn’t even going to try.

Yep, that’s what he wanted to believe too.

“Um…what about a mutual place or ahh thing.”

She giggled and he smiled. He felt much better suddenly.

She rubbed her chin like for a minute and asked, “like a play date? Sure. She looked down at both children and asked, “ would that be better? Could you guys behave at school if you were friends?”

Both children just grumbled their yeses.

Suddenly out of nowhere the quirkiest song could be heard of a young women singing a broken heart from the music she lived by. Even when the singer stuttered the hook and melody, Logan found himself hooked.

“Daddy, Daddy. It’s that song I like. Please please can I get that CD. Who’s that singer?”

“Oh sweety,” Legs said, “her name is Regina Spektor, and the song is called Fidelity. Isn’t it catchy?! I just had to have it as a ring tone.” She pulled out her blackberry, and looked at the caller id with a frown. “Oh no, I forgot all about your father coming in the city.”

“It’s for the charity thing, right Mom?”

“I don’t know. I am no longer privy to that information. Finally!”

“Is it gonna be all that hoopla when he comes?”

“I’m sorry Lucas. I know you wanted something simple when your Father came back in the country.” He just hugged her legs quietly and she tried not to cry because she was saddened by his constant lack of enthusiasm when it came to things about his father.

Logan looked out into the distance. Apparently this woman was divorced from someone important and unlikable. She already stood out in his book.

“How about I call you, Mr. Howlett, and we can set something up?”

“Well darlin’, you can call me Logan, and it sounds like a start to me?”

Sure it wasn’t the exchange of numbers he thought he’d be having, but he was up for something new. Right?
I Wanna Be Barbie When I Grow Up by OriginalCeenote
Logan frowned at the needle bouncing its way closer to the “E” indicator on his gas gage, hating the amount of overpriced fuel it took to bring Laura to this side of town. The Kay Bee Toy Store was off the beaten path, and he bundled Laura into her good winter coat and piled them both into this tired little Ford Escort. Trading it in was still a ways off; he had six months left on the lease until he could get his hands on the sweet F150 he had his heart set on.

Getting Laura out the door took forever, as usual, even though he’d taken shortcuts with their Saturday routine. She’d burrowed more deeply beneath the covers every time he tried to rouse her out of bed, proving she was even more stubborn than her mother in that regard. She’d finally outgrown wanting to sleep in his bed, to his relief, once she was old enough to have friends sleep over. Logan didn’t mind the sweet smell of her hair on his pillows, but he got good and tired of finding her feet jammed into his ribs or getting a mouthful of fist every time she rolled over. Ironically, she was a sounder sleeper when she stayed in her own room. Today wasn’t any different. She wriggled free of his tugging hands, flipping and turning more ably than a greased octopus as he fought to wrest the covers from her.

“C’mon, Punkin’, we gotta get outta Dodge! Up an’ at ‘em!”

“mmmmMMMNOOOO!” she wailed petulantly. A pink foot protruded from the mountain of Bratz bedding, a sheet set he’d attempted to divert her from in favor of the really cool Star Wars set he would have loved when he was a kid. No go.

“Uh-oh,” he muttered, letting his voice take on that cautious quaver. He saw the pile of blankets twitch convulsively. “Laura…what’s that sound? Oh, no,” he whispered, pulling in closer to the heap. “It’s “ GASP “ the TICKLE MONSTER!!!!”

“NOOOOOOOOOO! Not the TICKLE MONSTER!” Her shrieks rose above a hail of growling snarls and maniacal laughter as the beast in question made free with her foot, gripping her little ankle in a viselike grip and scrabbling fingers over the vulnerable, tempting sole.

“Booga-booga-booga!”

“DADDYYYYYYYYYY!”

“MWAHAHAHAHA! Gotcha, gotcha, gotcha!” he crowed triumphantly, tugging her as she continued to scramble for purchase to stay in the bed. He pulled her by the ankles, gasping and giggling until she finally flipped over onto her back, grinning up at him.

“C’mon, kiddo. Let’s hit the stores.”

“Why?” She wiped a tousled clump of hair from her eyes and stared up at him expectantly.

“I wanna pick up a little something for yer friend Luke,” Logan explained. Her rosebud mouth stuck out in a pout, and she crossed her arms over her narrow chest.

“He’s the one who broke my doll,” she carped.

“Ya didn’t hafta chase him off with yer friends, either, missy, don’t forget ya had a part in what happened the other day, eh? It’d be nice ta get him something, and I need ya ta help me pick it out,” he offered. “Yer good at that kinda stuff.” He catered to her feminine ego as he nudged her toward the shower. That appeased her, and he heard her singing to herself from behind the closed door as he went to select her clothes and find a dry bath towel. It was time to do laundry again, his least favorite chore.

He didn’t miss Sil yelling at him that he’d thrown her good Lycra dresses in the dryer instead of hanging them up by accident, and he definitely didn’t miss her nylons hanging from the shower head whenever he went to wash up. Laura’s mother was a real pip.

Logan yanked open the accordion doors of the bedroom closet and pulled out a pair of warm black corduroy jeans with a little rhinestone studded belt and dug thick wool socks and a lavender baseball jersey with dark purple sleeves out of the drawer. He’d always figured any daughter of his would be an unrepentant tomboy, but she’d proved him wrong again. She had her girly moments and nagged him to death about things like Lip Smacker flavored gloss and colored nail polish. A poster of that guy from In Sync held a place of honor on her wall, held up by thumb tacks and decorated with little unicorn stickers around the border. Thankfully she at least liked sports, and he was looking forward to her soccer season, even though it was costing him a bundle.

He tossed her clothes and towel onto the toilet lid and bellowed at her to get a move on and wash behind her ears. Her muffled cry of agreement was half drowned out in the steam and spray, but he also heard her ask something like “can I have hot cocoa, Daddy?” He grumbled his way into the kitchen and started breakfast, fetching corn flakes, bowls, and the last of the milk jug. He rummaged through the cupboard and found her favorite mug with Tinkerbell on it and ripped open a packet of Swiss Miss, dumping it in and coughing a little at the backwash of sweet powder that flew up and tickled his nostrils. He filled the cup with water and nuked it while he started some toast, for the mere sake of having something warm.

He knew the afternoon would likely be hot, but these cold autumn mornings were killing him. He had a fleeting memory of Lucas’ mom in those little green shorts and felt a funny flush of heat in his cheeks.

“Hi, I’m Pissed Off,” he chuckled, remembering her introduction. Man, she was something, even when she was mad.

Laura came to the table, hair still hanging in slick strings around her face. She already had her imitation “Ugg” boots on and dragged to the table looking petulant and forlorn.

“Daaadd,” she whined, “why do we have to hang out with Lucas? He’s a jerkface.”

“What makes him a jerkface? Seemed okay ta me,” Logan shrugged, pulling the toast and bouncing it between his palms to avoid burning himself as he transferred it to a plate.

“He’s always acting like he’s so bad; he brags all the time about his dad,” she continued, blowing on her cup of cocoa and diving in after the little marshmallows with her spoon. “He said he’s a prince of some little island in Africa,” she muttered, wiping her sticky lip with the back of her hand until Logan handed her a napkin.

“Sounds like a pretty tall tale,” Logan mused, “but who knows? At least now we can ask his mom for the real story. She doesn’t seem too bad.”

“DAD! You just like her because she’s pretty,” Laura accused. “I bet you’re gonna try to get her PHONE NUMBER!” She crossed her eyes and made kissy-kissy noises at him.

“WHAT? Take that back, you!” Logan brandished his fingers in a hooked, clawlike shape as he came toward her again with a maniacal leer. “The Tickle Monster’s gonna hafta have a word with ya, Half-Pint!” She squealed and ducked under the table. “Stinker. She ain’t that bad.”

“Just don’t have her come over,” Laura scowled. “I don’t like it when you have ladies come over, Dad.”

“Why?”

“Cuz then I hafta go to bed early, and stay in my room while you get all kissy-kissy with them,” she pointed out. “And you just wanna hang out with them, not me.”

Oops…

“Oh.” Logan took a pensive bite of toast and chewed it like it was made of sandpaper. “I’m sorry, kiddo. Didn’t know ya felt that way.”

“I don’t like Mrs. Grey, either.”

“Whaddya mean?” He’d been careful about that, deciding never to bring Jean to his apartment, since their children knew each other, and little girls tended to talk.

“She’s always telling me ‘You’re just like your father, Laura,’ and patting me on the head like a dog. I don’t like her,” she declared.

“Ya like hanging out with her daughter Rachel.”

“Yeah, but I don’t like her mommy much.” Then she amended that. “She makes Rice Krispie treats with M&Ms, though.”

“Well, see, there ya go.” Logan decided to add this new revelation to the growing list of reasons why he needed to stop his little tryst with Mrs. Grey-Summers.

They made it to Kay Bee, and Logan watched parents being dragged into the story by children not much higher than his knee, flowing against the trickle of other parents dragging their children, kicking and screaming, OUT of the store. He was glad his own kid was old enough to just think it was “neat” to come to the toy store now, and that she’d outgrown the worst of her tantrums. Logan went through the phase of single parent guilt, trying to make up for his absences with toys whenever he had Laura for the weekend. All it left him was still guilty, broke, and tripping and stumbling over toys that she only played with for five minutes.

“Whaddya think Lucas would think is cool?”

“He likes R/C cars,” she remarked. He agreed, until he eyed the price tags. Shit. Half of them cost as much for parts on his own car, before you threw in sales tax and a whole pack of C cell batteries to power the suckers. Right. Not happening.

“What else?”

“Rachel says Nate watches wrestling whenever he goes to Lucas’s mom’s house,” she shrugged, perusing the selection of Bratz dolls and accessories. He sighed; she just wasn’t interested in mending fences.

“So what about action figures?” He nodded to the aisle featuring plastic figures that resembled steroid-pumped gym jockeys at a Halloween party.

“Cool,” she agreed. “Don’t get him William Regal,” she warned, before he could reach for that one.

“Why not?”

“He’s stupid. Everyone thinks he’s a doodie head,” she explained, as though a child of five could understand this.

“Right. Doodie head. Okay, how about this Edge guy?”

“He’s okay.” She reached for the double packet, featuring two guys with flowing, blond plastic hair and grimaces that made them look like they had to take a dump. “This one has Triple H,” she offered.

“Triple H?”

“He’s a good guy?”

“How can ya tell?”

“He just is,” she declared, once again as though it should be obvious.

“Whatever happened to Hulk Hogan?” he muttered.

“DAAAADD! He’s OLD!” Laura flounced back to the Bratz aisle. “But his daughter Brooke’s cool. Can we get her CD?”

“Shit,” he muttered under his breath. Now Logan felt old.

They made it to the cash register twenty bucks poorer when Laura talked him into throwing in a couple of sets of something called Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading cards and a gift bag that he could have gotten cheaper at the dollar store. This one was cooler, though, Laura emphasized, because it had Batman on it. He didn’t argue.

They got home and wrapped the package, and Logan was about to help himself to some leftover chicken in the fridge and settle down to watch his ball game when the phone rang. It was Laura’s soccer coach, Wade Wilson, calling to let him know that he was sending out the new game and practice schedule.

“We’re sending out the orders for the soccer jerseys next week, buddy; think you can get me a check before then?”

“Yeah,” he muttered, mentally wincing at the dollars flying out of his wallet on fluttering little wings. Ouch. On his way back from Kay Bee, he’d driven behind an ostentatiously purple Porsche with a bumper sticker that said “When I Grow Up, I Want to Be Barbie “ That Bitch Has Everything.” That wasn’t totally inaccurate. He’d managed to steer Laura past that aisle, speeding up his steps before she could sweet-talk him into any accessories or doll clothes she didn’t need. The Barbie condominium with a little working elevator cost a third of his rent. He reminded her that Mrs. Munroe was already bringing her a replacement doll, but only if she behaved in the meantime. That guaranteed a trouble-free trek back to the car.

“Don’t forget cleats and socks.”

“I can get those from the sportswear shop,” Logan grumbled.

“Sure. Feel free, you might get a better deal. Just don’t skimp on the cleats; nothing worse than a pair that doesn’t give enough traction out on a slippery field, we don’t want any broken bones or sprained ankles this season. Speaking of which, don’t forget to bring the liability waiver and permission form to her first practice,” Wade cheered good-naturedly.

“Got it.” Logan hung up and went back to his chicken and fixed Laura a peanut butter sandwich and strawberry milk.

Logan pondered the calendar at halftime, marking all the dates mentioned in the welcome letter from the school. The seventh was registration and orientation. The ninth was Meet the Teachers night. That was a potluck. He made a note to himself to bring chips. The letter also mentioned signing up early for community service hours in the school. Logan considered that yard duty wouldn’t be too bad, or driving carpools for field trips. Anything was better than grading papers and arts and crafts, he shuddered. He’d had his fill of popsicle sticks and Elmer’s glue in sixth grade. Give him an engine to tinker with any day. The eleventh was uniform day; thankfully, the school took mercy on him and provided Laura with the first one for free. All he had to do was buy a couple of backups and keep them laundered, and he was golden. There was still the matter of more socks and shoes, though; penny loafers would set him back another thirty bucks, since he couldn’t send Laura to school in her Uggs.

His phone jangled again, and he wondered why he was suddenly so popular. He turned down the volume of his game and flung himself into his favorite, threadbare recliner.

“Yo?”

“What time are you bringing Laura back?” Sil asked him without preamble.

“Hi, Silver, I’m fine, nice of ya ta ask,” he griped. “What’s the big deal? We’ve got plans fer today. I figured she could have dinner with me.”

“That’s fine. Just don’t feed her that fast food slop and call it dinner. You always do that.”

“What we ya plannin’ on makin’ her, anyway, spaghetti? Big whoop,” he shot back. He smothered a sigh and the urge to reach into phone and wring her neck. They always had this argument. It never failed. “That’s some fancy dinner.”

“Not like it should matter to you, Jamie. I don’t really care what you do anymore, as long as I don’t have to be at your beck and call, and as long as you bring my daughter home on time.”

“Six PM,” he growled back. “And ya never were at my beck and call, sweetness. That’s a joke, and ya know good and well-“

“Six PM. I’m holding you to it,” she snapped, then hung up. He punched the end button on his handset and chucked it onto and overstuffed Eagles pillow in the corner of the room.

“Was that Mommy?”

“Yup. She can’t wait ta see ya, Punkin’.”

“When are we going home?” It always made him chafe when she called her mother’s place home, but to his credit, he’d overheard her in the background asking her mom that same question once when he was on the receiving end of Silver’s claim that she’d have her back to him on time. So, there ya go.

“After dinner,” he said, “and after we take care of dropping off that gift.” She was appeased, and went back to playing with her dollies and a paint by numbers kit she brought with her.

Once his game was over, Logan steeled himself, dug through his wallet, and extracted the phone number she’d hastily scribbled and tucked into his palm. Her handwriting was girly and full of loop’s; he wondered if she was one of those people who dotted their I’s with a circle or a heart, but her name didn’t have an “I” in it. Somehow, she didn’t seem that frivolous.

Just hot.

He rang her phone, listening to the shrill ring. His palms began to sweat like a teenager asking a girl out on his first date. “For God’s sake,” he hissed under his breath. He felt like a pussy. It was a playdate, fer cryin’ out loud…

Two rings.

Three.

Four…click. Great. An answering machine.

Hi. You’ve reached 555-1234. I can’t call you back if you don’t leave me a message. Thanks! Short, sweet, and blunt. Fine, then.

“Uh, hey, Ororo. This is Logan. Y’know, James Howlett. We ran into each other at the park the other day, and, uh, we talked about letting the kids get together? To kinda bury the hatchet with what happened at the jungle gym?” He struggled for something else to say, not wanting to leave a lame message in her voice mail. “Um…call me, if ya get a chance. I was wondering if ya wanted ta go bowling or something today. Laura has to go home to her mother’s tonight. ‘Bye,” he concluded, punching the end button and tucking the handset back in its cradle to recharge.

It rattled in its hand, ringing before he could set it all the way down. It startled him, and he nearly dropped it as he picked up the call.

“Shit…hello?”

“Hi,” chuckled a warm, rich alto with a funny uptown accent. “You mentioned something about bowling?”

“I wasn’t sure I was gonna hear from ya.”

“I screen my calls. Sorry.”

“I don’t blame ya,” he admitted, even though he wished he didn’t have to leave voice mail that made him sound like a tool. He hated talking to machines. “So, whaddya think?”

“How’s three o’clock sound? Lucas gets out of his karate class by then. I’m not much of a bowler, and he’ll probably want to play in the arcade at the lanes, more than anything else.”

“We’ve gotta work on that, then.”

“What?”

“Bowling. Yer gonna be a natural at it by the time I’m done with ya.” He heard her tiny groan of defeat at the other end and smothered a laugh.

“I have a brand-spanking new Barbie that needs a good home,” she offered.

“That’s fine, as long as she don’t expect me ta put her up in the condo.” That earned him an appreciative laugh that made him grin into the phone. She had a sexy laugh.

“She might not expect you to teach her to bowl, either.”

“Then Barbie ain’t much of a sportsman.”

“So, three o’clock?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“Bye, Logan.” She rang off, and Logan whistled his way back to his room to find his shaving kit.

“Who was that?” Laura followed him back and leaned around the doorframe with questions in her hazel eyes. Everyone at work who saw her photo thought she was his clone.

“Mrs. Munroe. We’re headed out ta go bowling at three.”

“Oh. That’s okay, I guess,” she decided. “Can I get a pink bowling ball?”

“If they have ‘em, Punkin’.”

“Cool.” He heard her making a furtive phone call in the background, and from the sound of it, she called Rachel to give her the lowdown on going to meet “Lucas the know-it-all” and his mom at the lanes.
Seven and Ten Spilt : Part One by Goddessreiko
Play Dates and Permission Slips
Chapter Three: Seven Ten Split


Rachel hung up the phone after her friend Laura had made her giggle endlessly. She wanted to go bowling too now. Maybe she could convince her Mommy and Daddy to kinda sorta show up unannounced. The key was convincing them it was gonna be a good idea. She heard her brother cheering at his Xbox 360 in the play room and figured he was playing Project Gotham 4, and that he was racing his Forenza.

She stood in doorway and leaned on the frame. Indeed, there was Nate doing a victory dance with the camera circling around his purple Forenza while the screen blinked 1st Place . Her father was looking at him and the screen in open mouth shock. Then he turned to her and pushed up his red rimmed glasses and winked at her. She flashed him a big smile. He beckoned her to sit down next to him and she did with an enthusiastic plop.

Rachel stood on her knees and whispered in her Papper’s ear, “why do you let him win? You need to kick his butt.”

Scott Summers chuckled then leaned back in the black leather stadium recliner, and shrugged carelessly. He looked at his son dancing in front of their seventy-two inch mounted high def television. Their real purple Italian import sports car was sitting in their garages along with the other luxury vehicles. Yea, life was good. He could afford to lose a video game or two to his nine-year-old son.

Scott turned to his daughter and gave her his best wise old man look. “I let Nate win ‘cause I get to drive the real thing. Nothing good ole Microsoft or Sony makes beats that.”

Rachel nodded like she understood. Whatever. A butt kicking was a butt kicking. Grown-ups were weird. She shook it off, and looked at her daddy with big give-me-something-please eyes and said, “Hey Pappers, let’s go bowling?”

“What! You spring this on me now? C’mon baby, you know today is Saturday, and it’s Daddy’s poker night.”

“Please, Daddy,” she pouted an extra long time to get her point across.

“I dunno, sweatheart.”

By now Nate had turned around, and by the looks of it finally noticed that his sister was in the room. Seeing how she wasn’t getting her way, he stuck his tongue out at her, then proceeded to point and laugh. Silently. The last time he did that out loud, she punched him in the face. Then his mother had the audacity to ground them BOTH.

“Please please please pleeeeeaaase?”

“Go ask your mother.”

Rachel grunted out loud, and stomped past her father and brother. Before she left the room completely, she turned to glare at them. Then it hit her. Neither one of them knew who else was going to be bowling. Nate would love to go and cause a mess with Lucas, and her Father always got ants in his pants when he found out that Laura’s Dad was anywhere near Mommy. Rachel caught a quick glance at herself in the trophy mirror. She looked like the big grin Yahoo smiley.

“Fine, I guess Mom will say yes. After all, she doesn’t have a problem with Mr. Howlett, she *always* takes me to see Laura. And me and Laura will kick Lucas’s butt easily, even with gutters.”

Rachel walked out of the room and counted to three.

A-huh, sure enough, her Father and brother came rushing out of the room and met her halfway in the corridor.

Men. They were always easy, just like her Mommy said.

Jean poked her head out of the kitchen to see what all of the commotion was.

Great, thought Scott. He didn’t want her to know. He definitely didn’t like the way that now even the kids knew about Jean’s enthusiasm of making sure that Rachel was always around Laura, and her friggin’ father.

Nate, on the other hand, heard that Lucas was going and immediately wanted to go for several reasons. One being his boy Lucas was going. Fun was to be had. Second, he couldn’t let Rachel go and have fun without making her suffer. Thirdly, if Lucas was there, then his mother was going to be there as well. Nate knew it would only be a matter of time before Lucas’s Mom broke down and finely accepted one of his many invitations out on a date. Cause, like, he asked every time he saw her, he made sure of that. He even stole flowers from his Mother’s decorative vases to give to Ororo when he went to over Lucas’s house to hang out. She had to say yes eventually.

But it still bugged him. Why on earth would Lucas and Laura be in the same place at the same time outside of school? They were sworn enemies. He didn’t think too hard about it.

While Nate’s thoughts centered around what he could do to impress Lucas’s Mom, Scott was explaining to Jean about how he had the sudden urge to take the kids bowling.

Jean saw right through him. “Sweetheart? Isn’t today Saturday? Don’t you play poker with Hank tonight? I could take them.”

“No! I can skip tonight. Besides, when was the last time I did something like this? I’m so busy with Xavier’s campaign, I don’t get to do as much.” Rachel started to squirm in his arm so she could say something, but he flopped her on her stomach over his shoulder and clamped down on her mouth. Scott knew she was going to say something about Laura being there. Which also meant that Logan would be there. That would make him the third wheel in public again, while they flirted, laughed, giggled, and talked around and through him. Nope, not this time. He never understood what Midwest born, old money-havin’, upper crust, silver spoon-fed Jean Grey had in common with lowbrow, struggling, beer-guzzling, chopper riding Logan, anyway.

“Yea, Mom, it’s gonna be awesome. Finally, the men will outnumber the girls. Me, Lucas, Dad, and Logan will kick butt!”

Scott rolled his eyes and hung his head. So much for that idea. He grumbled his thanks to his son.

Jean grit her teeth to hide her elation. But quietly volunteered, “It’s not a problem. I can take them. Besides, the idea of Ororo alone with Logan is a bit disturbing. One sad pick-up line from him and I’m afraid she might pour water on him and stick his privates in a socket.”

“Ah-huh, Jean. I’m sure that’s why you’re interested,” Scott said quietly.

She narrowed her eyes, and he stared. Jean was the first to break contact.

Rachel squirmed more and said, “Why don’t we all go?”
Seven and Ten Split: Part Two by Goddessreiko
Playdates and Permission Slips
Chapter Three: Seven and Ten Split Part Two


Ororo took her leveled up her Viera, Fran, in Final Fantasy XII with unrestrained glory. Her overdrive was an underhanded softball pitch witch made her Ororo’s immediate favorite player. Watching her do that gave Ororo pleasant flash backs of stretching out over first base, and making game saving plays. The sound of her character’s partner and potential love interest shook her back into the game. Ororo always swore that Balthier, the sexy suave sky pirate who sounded so much like Russell Crowe, and who made her annoyingly juicy, would find a way to be with Fran. Le sigh.

As if on que, she heard a light clanking sound behind her and saw that her son was setting up his crystal and jade chess set. One of the many many, “I’m sorry I couldn’t make because I had much better and bigger things to do,” gifts from his all important all knowing father. T’challa always did manage to impress and piss off simultaneously. It was like some kind of weird power of his.

She paused her game and watched Lucas set up the game silently and meticulously. When she showed him how to play, she had no idea that he would take it and run with it. Lucas had become his school’s best chess player, even regularly beating teenagers twice his age. For a few minutes, Lucas sat with the jade players, then the crystal players as if he couldn’t make his mind up. Ororo looked at him and rolled her eyes and sighed theatrically. He went through this all the time, and he always chose the jade side.

“Common Mom. I’ve already moved.”

“What? You want to play now. You know that we have to go bowling soon.” She looked at the game thus far, and sure enough her son had moved his signature piece, the bishop. He had become so synonymous with winning with the piece that people referred to him as Bishop. Ororo stood up slowly and prepared her ego for another blow. Oh well, anything for her son.

“Well, we don’t have a lot of time.”

“Don’t worry, this won’t take to long.”

Ororo raised her eye at her son’s ego. She was positive that came from his father’s side. She moved her pawns so that she’d have a buffer and so that she still managed to take down both knights and the majority of his pawns. Sure enough, within four moves, Lucas had battled with his mother’s knights and rooks and taken them all. He’d been paying attention to those plays she’d taught him.

“Very nice. It looks like you tweeked that castling move I showed you.”

“Sure did, Mom. It came in handy during last summer’s regional’s.”

“Isn’t that fantastic,” Ororo said as she watched her son slaughter her side of the board in three more moves. “I see you’ve mastered a few tricks of your own.” Lucas beamed at his mother.

“See, toldja that wouldn’t take long.”

“We have to get ready. No more stalling for the both of us.”

“Wait, you don’t want to go any more than I do, right? So, why are we doing this? This sucks.”

“You don’t like bowling? That’s news to me. And don‘t say sucks like that.”

“Can I say ‘this blows’?”

“What are you, a malfunctioning vacuum?”

“No! I just don’t like Laura, and you don’t even like Mr. Howlett. So why are we still doing this?”

“Because…it’s um… the right thing to do?”

“Wow, Mom, that sounds really convincing.”

“So, go get your jeans on, and brush your teeth. I’m going to get dressed.”

“I thought we were in a hurry. That’s gonna take forever.”

“Haha, you so funny.”

Ororo went to her master suite and her closet. Closet, no no. It was more like a room for clothes. Her closet was roughly the size of her entire town house. The phrase walk-in was a gross understatement.

Sure she used it for work. But even as a small franchise boutique creator and owner, she still had a big-ass closet. Pieces from her very first line were kept along with this years current season’s pieces, as well as vintage classic designers that she was able to score. She wasn’t big on contemporary fashion, but she was trying. The last three hundred square feet of her closet said so, as did the third floor.

Then there was the ceiling to floor shelves of shoes, purses, and every other accessory known to woman. All of it organized, of course. The first wall of accessories were things she had mad by her own hands, and were planning on reselling. The second wall of accessories was what she liked to refer to as inspiring competition. Each shelf stood against a white sheer backlight, so when turned on the shelf would alight.

She went to her second floor, and found her denim section. After rummaging through her own self-made jeans, she found a pair of dark wash jeans that had a shine to them. The straight, but wide legged look would minimize her all the oversized parts that bothered her. Ororo made her own clothes to fit her near six foot tall frame, so these pants came down way past her ankles and covered her feet partially, like normal size women did. And of course it hid one of her many flaws that still humiliated her to this day. Her feet. Sure she made stunning shoes. She had to. Cute shoes for women weren’t made in size eleven…and a half. She ran down the stairs to the blouse section and found the perfect top. About three summer seasons ago, everyone had gone nuts for peasant blouses. Ororo hated them, but had to sell them anyway. The way they were cut to be over sized drove her crazy. So she took to deconstructing them. The one she chose was white and somewhat sheer, but had a teal corset design sewn into the sides for support. The Mezzo design for the neck was untouched, but the sleeves were cut to about ¼ of the shoulder. The rest of the sleeve was held on by cleverly placed garters letter the wearer show off her arms and make a brand new fashion statement. The finished blouse looked to be a fusion of traditional Mexican peasant blouse, corset, and modern gothy fashions. Ororo loved it. She was planning on introducing them this fall.

Or maybe she could make it into next year’s New York Fashion Week. Ororo shook her head, she had a better chance of becoming the next Pope.

She threw her clothes on and put her hair up in a lazy bun. She finally settled in a pair of vintage 70’s pair of flesh toned Mary-Jane’s. She looked at the vanity and grabbed the gift bag with Laura’s new doll and a little something else.

She dashed out of her room and peeked in her son’s.

“You ready?”

“Been ready,” He said as he played more Metroid on his Nintendo DS.

“Your not taking that are you. That would be considered rude to play that while bowling.”

“But…but…”

“You can take it in the car, but I better not see it inside. Got it?”

“What if I took Phoenix Wright. You love that game.”

She narrowed his eyes at him. Yup, definitely his father’s son. “No. In the car only. Did you charge it?”

“Yes Mom.”

Lucas sighed. He almost got her. He’d have to get his father to get the new Phoenix Wright game, then he’d totally bribe her.

By time they got downstairs, Wyatt their weekend driver, was waiting for them. He opened up the back of the Deville for them. When everyone was seal belted in, Wyatt apologized for being late.

“Sorry about that Ms. Monroe. Franklin was being purposely slow to music school.”

“It’s fine, Wyatt. We were even later. Besides you couldn’t be really late if you tried, isn’t that why the Reed’s call you Wingfoot.”

He chuckled, winked in the mirror and hit the accelerator at the yellow light.

“Oh yeah,” Lucas said, “he’s got a solo in the spring concert this year. I think he’s gonna blow Rachel outta the water with his piano this year.”

“Not this again. Will you boys leave those girls alone?”

“Common Mom. Franklin is really good, right Wyatt?”

“He didn’t want to go to this class because he hasn’t been practicing,” he said as he speed through another yellow light.

“Well, besides that. He’s still good. Rachel just thinks she’s the best at everything. Just like Laura. She says she just like her dad, and he‘s the best at what he does.” He rolled his eyes. “She’s ALWAYS saying that.”

“I think it’s going to be different from now on,” Ororo said hopefully. “No more of this in fighting.”

“Where are we going, Ms. Monroe?”

“For the last time, it’s Ororo. Or if you must, Ro. Ok?”

“Of course Ms. Ro.”

“See now your just being smart about it.” Lucas snorted and Wyatt smirked, she let out a bubble of laughter too. “Lucy Strikes please.”

“You know,” Wyatt said, “I never understood why they call it that. Sure I understand that strikes in bowling are really good, but it still sounds like kind of an oxymoron, and I’ve always had bad luck when a business advertises with one of those. Then I tried the place out for my self, and let’s just say that I got really lucky when I was there.”

There was a pause, then Ororo scrunched up her face. “Ewww. TMI! Besides this is a playdate.”

“I know that, Ms. Ro. I was talking about bowling, what were you talking about.”

“Oh…haha. What is this make-fun-of-poor-Ro Day?”

“Look Mom! We’re here. Let’s go. I got a good feeling about this! Laura is gonna go down. Um, I mean…we’re going to have so much fun.”

As soon as Wyatt pulled up to the curb, Lucas ran inside to wait in line. Ororo took her time getting out, she already had a sinking feeling about all of this.

“What time did you want to get picked up, or do you just want to call?”

“I’ll call. I have no idea how long this torture is going to take.”

“You don’t like to bowl.”

“I hate bowling. I’d rather do something outside and fun like Coney Island.”

“Maybe next time,” he said with a friendly wave as he drove away.

Ororo shifted her purse back on her shoulder and grumbled, “there won’t be a next time with Mr. Stocky Hairy and Nice Assed-Man if I have my way.”
Spare Me… by OriginalCeenote
“What do you MEAN, I can’t wear my own shoes?”

“House rules, ma’am. If you wanna bowl, you have to wear them. We rent them for two dollars for the duration of your game.”

Ewwww… Bowling shoes…

“I don’t know whose feet have been in these!”

“The feet of someone who liked to bowl and who followed the rules.” The clerk was wholly unsympathetic. Ororo sighed, mentally cursing him with a case of foot fungus. She settled on the red pair with white stripes, asking for an eleven and a half. She sputtered in outrage when he handed her a pair of thirteens.

“I can’t wear these. I’ll look like Ronald McDonald.”

“Sorry, ma’am. Bowling shoes are one size up from what you normally wear. And we don’t have that half-size on hand tonight.” He slapped the shoes on top of the counter with a shrug. “Special tonight at the snack bar is the nachos,” he offered lamely, as if that would pacify her. Ororo stalked off to the lanes she reserved, feeling a surge of irritation when she noticed Lucas furtively shrugged over his Gameboy Advance, his shoulders jerking periodically as he worked the controls.

“Luke,” she snapped, “what did I say about leaving that in the car?”

“Mom…”

“Don’t Mom me. You knew good and well it was supposed to stay in the car.”

“I didn’t want anything to happen to it,” he whined.

“Then you should have kept it at home,” she pointed out, folding her arms as imposingly as she could despite the pair of ugly, humongous bowling shoes dangling from her fingers.

“Wow…those are big shoes.”

“Don’t change the subject. You’re still in trouble.” Luke cringed, staring down at his game that he had on pause. Ororo set the shoes on the sorry excuse for a cramped little table that was bolted onto the bench and held out her hand imperiously. He gave a long-suffering sigh and placed the Gameboy into her grip and silently kissed it goodbye. He gave her his best wounded puppy look before settling in for a good, long snit. Ororo’s hands itched to start up a game herself, even if Sonic the Hedgehog wasn’t her favorite, but anything was better than bowling.

Before she could contemplate that, she heard her name rasped closer than she expected it, nearly startling her out of her skin. “Hey there, Ororo. Hey, Lucas. Ready fer Laura an’ me ta wipe the floor with ya?”

“Thrilled,” Ororo deadpanned, silently admiring the casual ease with which he carried himself. He had excellent posture, and his shoulders were broad and solid, emphasized to perfect advantage by his black leather jacket, lined in cream sherpa fleece. The leather was weather-worn and broken in when he nudged her, a mischievous glint in his dark eyes.

“Ya look like it,” he smirked. Drat; he her a dimple when he smirked, too. “Laura’s pickin’ out a pair of shoes.” He peeked at the red pair on the table and grinned. “Check out those gunboats! Somebody leave those behind?”

“A-HEM!” she grumbled, hands propping themselves against her shapely hips. It dawned on him, then, and he recovered quickly.

“Right. See ya got yer shoes…ya picked out a ball yet?”

“Uh-uh.” She sighed heavily, rubbing her nape as if she felt a tension headache coming on. He recognized that look; Silver made it often enough and blamed him every time.

“I can help with that,” he offered, shrugging out of his jacket and laying it on the bench. He moved to the shelves and perused the balls. “Best if ya start out with a lighter ball til ya figure out how much spin ya put on it when ya throw.”

“Lovely,” she muttered sourly.

“Just tryin’ ta help,” he muttered back. “C’mon, don’t be a sourpuss. It’s s’posed ta be fun; yer familiar with the concept? I tell ya a joke, ya laugh ta humor me, and ya get the bug outta yer butt long enough ta let yerself have a good time?”

“There’s no such bug,” she sputtered. “I BEG your pardon!”

“’Kay; ya got it. No need ta beg, darlin’!” He turned back from the rack, enjoying the little ticked off look she was giving him. “Try this one,” he rumbled, handing her the sky-blue enameled ball with iridescent white swirls on its surface. “It’s a ten-pounder.” She took it from him, lifting it experimentally. Their fingertips grazed each other, and he swallowed roughly at the faint contact.

“Not bad,” she murmured. “Goes with my outfit.”

“Matches yer eyes,” he countered. “They’re nice.”

“That sounded like flattery, Mister Howlett.”

“Guess that means yer hearing’s fine then, Ms. Munroe.” She peered down at him with hooded eyes, suppressing a smile. He caught the twitch of her lips.

“Dad, can I have some quarters? Rachel’s in the arcade,” Laura whined. She noticed Lucas pouting in his seat, attempting to ignore her, and her father standing too close to his mother. “Is that the ball you’re gonna use?”

“Probably,” Ororo agreed affably, giving Laura a warm smile.

“I’m already up to an eleven-pound ball,” Laura boasted.

“Big deal,” Lucas grumbled under his breath. Ororo remembered her reason for their encounter and approached her pouting son.

“Why don’t you give Laura her gift?”

“Okay, FINE,” he griped, as though she’d asked him to eat liver. He trudged over to the opposite bench and retrieved the carefully wrapped package topped with a glittering pink bow. “Here,” he insisted, shoving it at her. Laura accepted it from him and he shrank back as though she had cooties.

“That was smooth,” Ororo muttered helplessly. “Way to be hardheaded, Lucas.”

“What do ya say, Laura?”

“Thank you,” she recited, already peeling back the paper and gasping at the doll. “Awesome! It’s a MyScene Fab Faces Barbie!” The doll had dark brown hair and a glossy pucker, Logan noticed, and even looked a bit like his daughter.

“What’s so fab about her face?” Logan didn’t pretend to have a clue.

“Watch!” Laura hurried over to him, beaming as he pressed the “Try Me” button through the perforated plastic. The doll squawked “Wait till you hear what I heard!” in a tinny voice, and her mouth actually moved in an almost fishlike manner, making Logan wonder who stayed up all night dreaming this shit up.

“That couldn’t have been cheap,” he murmured. “Ya didn’t hafta go through the trouble.”

“Are you kidding? I would have given my right arm for a doll like that when I was her age. No trouble,” Ororo said dismissively, but she saw a flare of wounded pride in his eyes and wondered why.

“Anyway…Luke, we gotcha something. Laura picked it out.” He handed Lucas the bag and watched Laura scamper off to the arcade. Lucas’ face broke out into a grin when he pulled the action figures out and examined them.

“Cool,” he breathed, looking up at Logan with something akin to respect. “Triple H!” Mom, Laura didn’t even pick me out a lame one! THANKS!” Loagn’s shoulders shook, while Ororo wanted to sink into the floor with embarrassment.

“Glad ya like it, Big Man,” Logan chuckled, shaking his head, content that his gift was appreciated.

Ororo heard a flurry of footsteps as Lorna came running down the wide aisle with Rachel Summers in tow. She was dressed in pink camo pants and a long-sleeved Hello Kitty tee shirt with sparkles, and she’d made laughable attempts at makeup, her eyelids sporting a layer of green TInkerbell eye shadow. Trudging after them was Rachel’s brother Nathan, whose eyes lit up as they landed on Ororo. She gave him a small wave and smiled at him, making him puff out his chest. He slumped next to Lucas and they exchanged a high five.

“Whassup?”

“S’up. Check out my Triple H.”

“Hm. I’ve got Edge and Sean Michals,” Nathan offered, but he eyed Luke’s action figures with interest. This one had removable knee pads. “I want Chris Jericho, too.”

“He’s all right,” Luke agreed. “Mom, can we get nachos?”

“You just ate ten minutes ago,” Ororo reminded him, mentally adding up everything that she’d fed him since waking up that morning. Eggs and bacon. Toast. Almost a quart of orange juice, prompting her to threaten him that he’d turn into an orange if he drank any more. A bag of microwaved popcorn. Grilled cheese and carrot sticks. Six Oreos with milk. A handful of pretzels that he’d snatched up before they got into the car to come over. She didn’t know where he put it all, and it was nearly impossible keeping him in sneakers, since he seemed to inherit her own big feet AND his dad’s.

“So can we get some?” His voice was hopeful and clueless. Ororo sighed, then reached for her purse, pawing through it for her wallet. She fished out a five-dollar bill and tucked it into his hand.

“Bring me back my change,” she admonished.

“Okay!” Roughly translated as “what change?” He and Nate ran off to the snack bar with visions of the biggest nacho plate they had and enough soda to sail a yacht dancing in their heads.

“Laura’s got a hollow leg,” Logan grumbled. “I just brought bread and cereal two days ago. I’ve gotta buy ‘em again today.”

“Time to buy stock in General Mills.”

“I’ll have my broker sign me up fer as many shares of Cocoa Puffs as he can get his hands on.” If he had a broker, Logan mused to himself. He fed what little drabble of extra money he had into a credit union savings account he’d opened for Laura as soon as she was born, with a deposit of one crisp dollar.

“What do you do?”

“Aside from watchin’ my little girl eat us outta house and home? I fix cars and heavy machinery. Body work, too.” He returned to the shelf to select a ball, choosing a black fourteen-pound with an iridescent finish. He set the ball on the floor and sat down to slip on his shoes; they were a dingy blue with laces missing their binders, but he looked at home in them, not to mention the chambray shirt he wore over a gray tee, tucked into well- broken in Levi’s. “Ya wanna keep score, darlin’?”

“Do we have to?” She gave a dramatic, long-suffering groan.

“Usually how it works. It ain’t like playin’ tee ball, when yer not out even when they tag ya.”

“Really?” She looked surprised. “Lucas never played tee ball. His dad never signed him up for it. He was more into soccer and rugby.”

“I can go for watching some soccer,” Logan agreed. “Laura’s aces at it. She’s a mean goalie, but she likes playing right halfback. Loves ta be all over the field.”

“Some people are born to play the field,” Ororo replied, and he couldn’t tell if it was a double entendre. Her eyes revealed nothing, but they still drew him in. Cerulean blue, the irises ringed in violet. Damn.

“Depends on the game.” She sat by the score monitor to begin putting on her shoes, laying her Mary Janes protectively beneath the table. She paused when he reached over her, grazing her as he began punching in the initials of each bowler to start their game. She caught a whiff of his unique scent, mostly a crisp, clean mingling of Old Spice, detergent and his own skin’s pheromones. She fought the urge to grasp his sleeve and hold him there so she could lean in and take a deeper breath. Certain scents evoked a feeling of comfort and visions of things that made Ororo feel warm inside. Logan wore them all like a blanket.

Her reverie was dashed to bits at the sound of a perky soprano that managed to rise above the cacophony of rolling balls thundering down the lanes and crashing pins.

“Ororo! It’s been ages since I saw you! Where are the kids?”

“The boys are getting nachos,” Ororo explained casually, taking in Jean’s outfit with a note of admiration and amusement. Like her, she’d chosen to overdress for the play date, just because she could. She wore Seven jeans and a bright red Baby Phat top with the logo picked out in rhinestones, and she left her red hair loose and wavy. She dangled her own pair of six bowling shoes “ Ororo fumed at the unfairness of it all “ from her fingers, looping her free hand through her husband’s arm.

“How are you, Ororo?” Scott beamed, enjoying the view and removing his sunglasses, letting them hang from the collar of his polo shirt. He nodded at Logan briefly, then leaned over and kissed his wife’s temple with a calculated gleam in his eye. “Logan,” he nodded. Jean leaned up to her husband and patted his cheek before descending the short steps to the lanes.

“I love that top,” Jean gushed. “Gucci?”

“Nope. Raindrops. Raided my own stash. This one’s part of my new line.” Jean’s mouth dropped open in shock.

“Shut UP! You’re kidding! Wow! You’re so…talented.” She made the universal half-snort of ‘get outta town!’ and nudged Ororo’s shoulder playfully. “It’s sickening.”

“Jeannie can’t even sew on a button,” Scott chuckled. Jean shot daggers at him with her green eyes and began slipping into her shoes.

“Bet I’ll beat your score again,” Jean bragged. “What do you say, Ororo? Should we take these guys to the cleaners?”

“Uhhhh…”

“Feel free ta try,” Logan grinned, enjoying Ororo’s narrowed eyes, which she promptly rolled before retrieving her ball. He finished keying in Scott’s and Jean’s initials on the monitor and took his turn first. The ball rolled smoothly down the lane, and his form was perfect. Logan pumped his fist, chanting “c’mon, all the way, ALL THE WAY! YEAAAAAHHH! WHOOOOOO!” He waved his fist in a circle and crowed “Who’s yer daddy?” Ororo’s jaw dropped open as the last pin teetered and wobbled back and forth before falling obediently over to join its brothers. A strike. She groaned, and Jean smiled.

“Scott, hon, could you get us some sodas? Be a sweetie,” she urged prettily. Scott shrugged and patted his pants for his wallet.

Logan took his last three shots, picking up a neat spare. Ororo sighed and moved the indicator down to her slot, rising to take her turn. Her only consolation was watching Logan’s lean form lunging neatly into his throws. The man had a niiiiiiiice backside, oh, yes, indeedy. She did feel indignant, however, when she noticed Jean shooting him “ and it “ the same dreamy little look.

Wasn’t this heifer married?

“Need any help settin’ it up, darlin’?”

“No, she doesn’t,” Jean shot back, leaning back on her elbows against the table, letting her breasts jut out provocatively as she gave him an indolent look, swinging the leg that she had crossed over the other.

Ororo sent up a silent prayer and tucked her fingers into the wholes, drawing back and feeling her wrist twist at just the wrong moment. The ball hit the lane with a hollow thud, rolling and wobbling just this far shy of the gutters before taking out one lonely pin.

“Ya gotta follow through. Watch yer stance,” Logan encouraged. She looked thoroughly out of her element and cute as a button. She made an exasperated noise and tried again, this time moving more quickly toward the line, trying not to mince in the enormous bowling shoes. Still awkward, and the ball ran straight into the gutter. Drat.

“Yer all stiff,” Logan educated her, and she felt him approach her as she waited for her ball to come back to her. He took it before she could even lay a finger on it. “C’mere. Try this.” He tucked her fingers into the holes, closing in on her until she felt his chest brushing the back of her arm. His chambray shirt was clean and worn to velvety softness, his wonderful scent tickling her nostrils. His hands were strong and warm, slightly callused fingers wrapping around the ball and spreading her fingers across its surface. “See this? Yer arm’s hooking in a little, puttin’ too much slant on the ball. Keep it straight when ya bring it back,” he advised.

“Er…like this?”

“Naw. Let’s do it again…there. Like that.” His hand made its way to her waist, and she suppressed a tiny shiver at the contact as he commandeered her hand as it held the ball, giving it a sample swing. He urged her body to mimic his follow-through, and it felt…funny. Butterflies danced in her stomach.

“She’s getting the hang of it, Logan, let her throw!” Jean carped impatiently. Ororo heard a snide note in her voice and tsked.

“Better get this over with. I can handle it from here, I think,” Ororo assured him, moving reluctantly away from his solid warmth. He held up his palms in surrender and stepped back.

“Have it yer way.” Her next throw wasn’t much better than the first two, but she knocked down three pins. She stood back with her hands on her hips.

“There,” she beamed.

“Right. Think I’ll just stay on Scott’s team,” Jean decided, winking at Ororo and patting her on the back as though dismissing her before she took her turn at the lane. Her expression was downright saucy as she dropped into her lunge, her leg kicking back in a perfect flick as she sent the green and yellow glitter-speckled ball hurtling down and taking out seven pins. She picked up the spare, and took down all but the last one on her third try. Ororo silently contemplated how far up Jean’s sassy butt her oversized Ronald McDonald bowling shoe would fit if she shove-

“Jeannie, here’s your Diet Pepsi,” Scott announced. He set down a 7-Up for Ororo, which she gratefully accepted. “Who’s winning?”

“Don’t ask,” Ororo grumbled, taking a thirsty gulp of soda. Scott’s eyes lingered too long on her mouth sucking the straw. Jean caught the change in his posture as he seemed to puff up to his full height while he studied her.

“Ororo’s not really into the game,” Jean explained. She poked Scott in the ribs. “Your turn, hon.”

“Bossy,” he grinned, but obediently took his turn. Jean was right; her husband’s form was good, but his aim was always just a little off. He managed one spare by the skin of his teeth, only because he chanted a prayer at the last pin to fall. He ruffled his wife’s hair smugly, enjoying her consternation as she scowled at him. Her hands flew up and preened it back into place as she peered over to Logan to see if he was watching.

“Yer up, Ororo.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Then she had a brainstorm. “Shouldn’t the kids be back here? We came to let them bowl.”

“Eh. True. Hold on…Laura, get yer tail over here an’ bowl! Bring the rest of the kids with ya!” he bellowed down the aisle, noticing his daughter already looking like she and Rachel were getting into it with Nate over how many gaming tokens they had left. Laura whipped her head back to her father and gave a long-suffering shrug before she returned with Rachel in tow. Nate and Lucas were slower to follow, dispatching the rest of what looked like an enormous basket of nachos.

“Nathan, you already ate!” Jean complained, shaking her head. “Why do you kids love that junk?”

“Ms. Munroe let Luke and me get some,” Nathan bragged. “Mom, can Luke and his mom come over to our house for dinner tonight?” Rachel clapped her hand over her mouth and giggled, elbowing Laura, who scowled back.

“It’s ‘Luke and I’, and it’s up to Luke’s mom what her dinner plans are,” Jean chided him winning herself a pout. Poor Nathan’s attempts were spurned again…

“Luke’s going back with his father again tomorrow. We have to turn in early tonight and pack. Maybe next time,” Ororo replied good-naturedly. Jean smiled pleasantly, her relief shining in her eyes.

“Still your turn, Ororo.”

Drat, and double drat…

She took her next shot, rolling a gutter ball.

“In one ear and out the other,” Logan scolded cheerfully. She was so much fun to watch, that soft mass of white waves flowing and swishing every time she leaned over. Watching her bend to retrieve the ball in that crazy little top didn’t hurt things either. She was easy on the eyes; her caramel cleavage pushed up against the low neckline of the blouse and waved at him from his vantage point on the bench. He was too glad to swing in to help her with her form. “Remember what I told ya about keepin’ yer arm straight…”

“I know, I know,” she harped back, rolling her eyes. Yes, I suck; don’t rub it in.

“C’mon, just get a good, strong grip on it and pull back, darlin’,” he rumbled, and he was back behind her, bringing that yummy scent of his with him, and she felt his hand at her hip, gripping it presumably to help her balance, but she began to doubt his motives as his lips whispered in her ear, “Betcha have a good, firm grip when yer really tryin’, kiddo.”

“C’mon, Mom, throw it already!” Lucas complained. He was getting bored, and Laura and Rachel were getting on his nerves. He began to pry his action figures out of their plastic packaging. Laura’s dad was standing waaaaaaay too close…Nathan was scowling, too. He was a GREAT bowler; why couldn’t Ms. Munroe ask HIM to help with her shot?

Embarrassment and frustration flooded Ororo’s cheeks as she brought back her arm, letting it swing…

…and nearly caught Logan in the nards as he stumbled back out of her way with a curse, nearly falling on his butt. Scott smothered an “oh, SHIT!” behind him as Jean’s shoulders heaved with laughter. The ball hit the lane with a thunk. Gutterball. Again.

“GRRRRRRR…” Ororo stomped off to her bench, shooting Logan a venomous look. “Luke, sweetie, how about you take Mom’s turn?” He stood indignantly and waited for his mother’s ball to come back up the ramp, and took his two shots. He knocked down five pins with little effort and helped Nate polish off the rest of the nachos.
Final Frame by Goddessreiko
Playdates and Permission Slips
Chapter Six: Final Frame


After nearly two agonizing hours of near fisticuffs amongst the children, between Logan and Scott, and wire tension between Ororo and Jean from the above stress and the terribly one sided bowling “game” (after the first half hour there wasn’t much fun involved). Ororo nearly stood up and did a cartwheel roundhouse combo when she heard one of the children yawn. At this point she really didn’t care who it was.

“Look at that,” she said with a fake tiredness of her own, “someone is getting tired.”

“Nooo common,” Logan cried, “we got ‘bout half a game left. It ain’t gonna kill nobody to stay for the rest.” He looked at the taller woman with pleading eyes and what could be mistaken for a pouted bottom lip. Ororo rolled her eyes and looked at the children, who, much to Ororo’s chagrin, were finally not at each other’s throats.

Figures.

At least karma took some kind of pity on her. She had just gone, and everyone else would have to cycle through before she was subjected to more torture.

She took an exasperated plop on the seats facing the ally where all the left over food and drinks were stashed. She had a good view of everyone’s antics and realized that her purse with Lucas’s Nintendo DS was in it. With everyone having their own great time she could disappear behind them and the game screen for just a bit.

Just as she dug it out, a soda was placed in front of her and a friendly face was behind it.

“You ok, Ro,” Scott asked.

“Dandy, why do you ask?”

“I don’t know. You kind of look like your miserable because someone set your lawn on fire and the only available resource to put it out was stale urine.”

She snorted out the Coke she had, burning her throat and nose in the process. He always could do that to her. She never understood why Scott was constantly described as uptight. Those who said that about him didn’t know him very well.

Ororo frowned. The person who said that the most was…Jean.

She patted the half-swivel chair next to her, and Scott thankfully sat down in it. He took the other drinks he had and placed them on the table, stretched out his legs and slouched comfortably in his chair.

Ororo laughed.

“Scott, I’m surprised you’re even here. I mean don’t you get tied up with Xavier’s campaign litigation.”

“True true. I am going to be overloaded this week.” He shook his head. “Looks like I’m finally going to have to cave in and hire paralegals and assistants.”

“Oh no,” Ororo exclaimed in mock horror, “a staff! And your their boss!”

“Hey, don’t make fun now. This is the first time I’d be in charge of others.”

“Scott,” Ororo said placing her hand on his solid bicep and feeling him shift comfortably in it, “ you’d make a great leader. You know, that kind of iconic character that goes down in history. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised that once Xavier became Senator, he would bring you along for his bid to the White House. If that’s going to happen, then you need to learn how to control your own staff.”

Scott hmphed. “Are you kidding me? I’m a laughing stock in my own home.” He looked at Jean laughing at something Logan said forlornly. Ororo followed his gaze and caught something she hadn’t expected. Jean was desperately trying to keep Logan’s attention by laughing loudly at his mediocre jokes and curving her body subtly and seductively. Ororo shook her head and felt a pair of wild eyes on her and realized why Jean was trying so hard.

Logan had no apparent interest in Jean because his eyes where fixed on Ororo and her seemingly out of place closeness with Scott. Logan was tempted to chuck his sixteen pound ball straight at his head.

Hell, the Summers’ weren’t even supposed to be here. Go away, he thought angrily at Scott and Jean.

Seeing that wasn’t getting anywhere, Jean decided on a less subtle approach to getting her way. She did a quick cursory glance around the bowling alley. The kids had started to play Dance Dance Revolution in the arcade, Scott was talking Ororo about work. Jeeze, she tuned out when she heard litigation, campaign (again! Grrrr), paralegals, assistants. Wait, assistants? Jean raised an eye about that. Sure, she tuned Scott out a lot, ok constantly, but she never remembered hearing anything about that. Oh well, she shrugged it off, and figured that Ororo would be nice enough to pretend that she cared about Scott’s job. Meanwhile she could get a little in the bathroom, or more likely tonight when Scott made an appearance at Warren’s business dinner meeting.

“Logan,” Jean purred, when she sat down sliding her tightly jean clad thigh against his, “I’ll be alone tonight, and after all this food the kids will get tired early. Care to swing by.”

“Sorry, Jeannie. Today is Saturday; it’s movie night with Laura,” Logan said casually still peeking around her and watching Ororo speak with that shiny, moist, plump, mouth of hers. If only she would stop talking to Blah Man, and come to him and say something, anything. Dammit all!

Jean scrunched up her face. She wasn’t used to hearing no, especially from this man. What’s going on today?

“Well, she does have to sleep sooner or later,” she said as a matter of fact.

Logan furrowed his brow in a quick flash of anger. There was no way in hell he’d leave his daughter alone for a quick fuck.

From the way he looked at her, Jean immediately knew that she had crossed his invisible thick line. Laura always came first.

She bit her lip and looked away, feeling as sorry as she looked. Logan didn’t care, but he was going to cut her some slack. He was just a nice guy like that.

“Besides, you know that Sunday is the biggest day of the week in the shop. People have off on Sundays, and they take their cars to get done. I like being their on Sundays to meet my customers. So I got an early morning, and afterwards is Chuck E. Cheese. Laura ain‘t gonna have the time to hang out there much once the soccer season starts, so I‘m letting‘ her have one last hu-rah there.” Just as he was about to take his turn, his cell phone gave a short quick ring signaling a text message. He saw Jean turn away politely, but knew that her curiosity was killing her. He got up and went over by the vending machines to look at his text hoping it wasn’t someone else to ruin his fun time with Laura or Ororo and Lucas.

Raven’s number was on his display screen for receiving a text. Oh shit.

He carefully opened his phone, silently hoping the phone company made a mistake.

Raven: Anna is out buying cleats with Kitty and Illyana. Gave her more money to be at the mall longer with them. Irene isn’t going to be home till dinner. Door is open.

Logan responded: Busy tonight. Busy tommrow. Maybe Monday. Feed your Rabbit.

He clicked his phone shut and slammed it down on the table. Enough is enough. Did these women think he was indestructible or something! Good Lord.

Scott watched Jean look at Logan the same he found himself looking at her. He was tired of that. He missed the old days, long before he met Jean. Ororo turned to him and smiled gently almost like she could sense his nogistalia. Scott leaned his knee on hers under the table, and it reminded them both of their brief stint in the same foster care home when they first met when they were tweens.

Ororo had been on her own after the sudden deaths of her parents at their re-entry to the States, and Scott had been transferred to this house after the abuse from Jack surfaced. Charles and Lilliandra took them both in, and Scott never looked back.

“Oh, that reminds me,” Scott said, “I need some alterations on some suits, but Lilly wanted to know if you could custom make Charles some suits too. I wasn’t sure if tailoring was your thing, so I told her you’d think about it.”

“Of course,” Ororo said. Anything for her former brother.

Jean watched Logan stomp off to the bathroom, and glanced up at her husband still talking. As she began to pack her things she saw that Logan left his cell phone on the table.

She knew she shouldn’t as she walked towards it. It was his private property, she told herself as she flipped open the phone. She looked at the last activity on it and bared her teeth.

RAVEN! Ewww. Jean knew deep down that he was seeing others, but she ignored it. When Logan told her that she was the only one, dammit, he was suppose to mean it. Just like she would tell him how much he meant to her, then finish up with the sex, take a quick shower, and go home to Scott. Duh, that was the way it worked.

She just smiled to herself. If she knew Logan, he was just fucking Raven because he was one of those men who’s ultimate fantasies involved bisexual women. Jean knew that she was still HBIC (Head Bitch In Charge) when it came to Logan. And she needed that other woman gone. Good thing there wasn’t any more. Or else!

Once Logan unloaded in the john, he came out to find the kids dragging their feet to pack up their own things to go. He really wanted to just go home order some food and curl up with a great action flick with Laura, the one female person who wanted nothing from him but smiles.

He looked out at Jean who was trying to get Nate and Rachel to put their shoes back on, and Lucas who was already to go. Laura was talking to Ororo about her dollie and beaming. Scott was watching laughing at Ororo’s sarcasm when it came to Barbie’s new fashion. He noticed the body language at cocked his head to the side. An untrained eye would think there was a physical attraction there, but no. It was something else.

When Jean came back she just about threw the coats and toys at Scott and announced that they were leaving. Ororo hugged her and mentioned that she had to call for a ride to leave, as well. Logan knew that this was his chance.

“Hey Ro, I can give you a ride.”

“Um…I guess so. Lucas, is that alright?” Her son shrugged nonchalantly. “Ok, then.”

Logan smiled, until he looked down and saw a very grumpy and unhappy Laura.

“Whatsa matter, baby?”

“Tonight was Star Wars night, Daddy. All the good ones, too. You promised.”

“Sweetie you’re gonna be up real lat, and your gonna be tired for your surprise tomorrow.”

“But you promised. You said that we hadn’t ever seen all the old ones together, so we should, *tonight*.”

Logan sighed. Damn damn damn. Foiled again.

While the crew waited in line to turn their shoes in, Jean overheard everything and couldn’t keep the Grinch-who-stole-Christmas-smile off her face. Scott shook his head, and shifted Rachel on his shoulders in a more comfortable position.

“What?”

“Jesus Christ, Jean.” He leaned in and whispered, “I’m not a fucking idiot.”

“Oh for crying out loud, Scott! What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“We’ll see in a minute.” He heard the talk about Star Wars from Laura, and knew it would be mere seconds before Ororo went into geek-mode.

3

2

1

“ Oh. My. God! I love Star Wars!”

“Nu uh,” Laura said with an attitude of a superior nerd.

“Laura!” Logan was shocked at his daughter’s lack of respect. But then again, she did get a little touchy when it came to wookies and her all time, number one, favorite idol, Princess Leia.

“Alrighty then, Ms. Monroe. Prove it.”

“My favorite character is Leia. My favorite part is when she rescued Hans from Jaba in the guise of a bounty hunter, but I really wish they’d film the alternate version of Hoth.”

Laura gave Ororo one of her trademark but rare smiles. Then furrowed her brow. “Huh? Hoth…that’s the swamp like place where Yoda is, right.”

“Yulp. Did you know that Leia was supposed to go instead of Luke?”

“Wait wait. That means…LEIA WOULD HAVE BEEN A JEDI!!!!”

“I know I know. How cool would that have been?”

Lucas finally perked up from his DS. “Yea, it’s true. Leia would have been a better Jedi than Luke.”

Logan choked on air. “Blasphemy, all of you. Besides, no one is cooler than Han and Lando.”

Ororo gaped at him. “If it weren’t for Leia, Han wouldn’t have survived in New Hope.”

“Yeah, Daddy,” Laura said with her hands on her hips.

Logan rolled his eyes.

“Hey, I have an idea. Can Ms. Monroe come over for movie night?”

Logan looked right at the smiling Ms. Monroe and asked, “what about Lucas?”

“Lucas can come too. He knows how awesome Leia is, so he’s invited.”

Both adults laughed, and Lucas was off in la-la land.

Logan looked at Ororo and asked, “so, how about it?”

Ororo sighed. “Oh alright fine. But, tomorrow I have to get Lucas packed and ready long before his Father comes.”

Logan put his hands up in surrender. “Ok ok, I hear ya, Darlin.”

Jean shifted uncomfortably in line. How could he do that? Didn’t Logan see her standing *directly in front of him*? Hello? He couldn’t be that empty-headed, could he? She wanted to go home. Hell, she didn’t want to be there in the first damn place. How many people had bowling shoes to turn in that it would be taking so bloody long?

Scott wanted to laugh at his wife’s discomfort. He really did. In fact, his jaw hurt badly from clenching it shut so tightly that he couldn’t laugh.

Jean glared at the laughing group behind her when she turned to her husband. “Can you take the kids to their after school music lessons on Monday, please? I forgot about it and made an appointment at five.”

“Really, Jean? What for? Doctor’s, hair, nails…something else?”

“Please Scott. It’s not like I’m asking you to your doom.”

“Fine. Where is it?”

“Right at the school, it shouldn’t be too difficult for you, unlike some other things.”

Scott threw his head back and laughed. “And you think I’m using double entendres. What was that?”

“Oh nothing Scott. I just had a flashback of the last five months and you having a rather hard time with a few things. Oh wait. Hmm. Hard is the wrong word to use for that, isn’t it?”

“Smooth, Jean. Real smooth.”

Jean sighed. It seemed like she just couldn’t help herself. “Can you take them, or not?”

“Yes, Jean.”

Ororo looked at the bickering couple just as they walked up to hand in their shoes. She took a mental note of Scott’s ramrod straightened back and his firm profile. He was really upset, and Jean seemed nonplussed about it. What was going on? Oh wait, it wasn’t her business. But her former brother’s unhappiness bothered her, as did her best friend’s nonchalant attitude. Speaking of, Ororo wondered if Scott ever told Jean about his time in foster care, the abuse, or if the fact that when Jean brought her best friend along on a date ten years ago, that it wasn’t the first time Ororo had been introduced to Scott.

Secrets like that were never good.

“Ya ready, darlin’?”

Ororo looked up and realized that it was finally their turn to give their shoes back, and she did, gladly. When they walked outside, they saw the Summers’ piling into their Mercedes when Jean caught Ororo’s eye.

“Where are you going, hun” she asked lightly with concern, which was only lightly covering up the curiosity and the I-know-you’re-not-going-where-I-think-you’re-going attitude.

Ororo blinked. Sure Jean was noisy, but this was a little much. “Lucas and I were driven here, but Logan offered a ride back for us.” Something told Ororo not to get into detail.

“Aw, Ro’. We can give you a ride, so this way Logan doesn’t have to drive out of his way,” Jean said sweetly. Too sweetly and with a condescending tone.

Needless to say, that pissed of just about everybody.

Nate and Rachel realized that two extra people were going to have to sit in the back, and there wasn’t enough room as it was when they fought in the back seat.

Scott looked at her like she had plum lost her damn mind. There was no doubt in his mind that there was something wrong.

Ororo didn’t like being manipulated by Jean into doing something that the red-head wanted that always involved small spaces. Nor did she like the dig at Logan.

Logan was furious. If he had been smoking, which he, ironically enough, gave up for Jean and a few others, would have set her on fire with his cigar. Ever time she could, she would always make a burn at him not being able to cut it in the hierarchy of the upper-class. He liked to remind her about that when she would take the subway for twenty minutes to get to his apartment few a few good groans. She would always giggle when he mentioned going to her house.

He carefully inhaled. Slow down, Bub. Take your time. Don’t fuck this up. It’s just Star Wars. He pulled his red 03 Ford Escort up to the entrance and waited for Ororo to get the kids in and seatbelt them before strapping herself in. He watched her long fingers adorned with real nails wrap themselves around the nylon of her own seatbelt as she fidgeted with it. Then she worked on the seat, maneuvering it so that it would fit her height. She looked in the back of her seat to make sure that she wouldn’t be in Laura’s way.

“Sorry about that,” she said sheepishly.

“Nah, it’s alright. I forgot that you were so tall.” Actually, he said to himself, that’s all that he could think about. 41-43 inches of legs. He hit the brakes hard before he could roll into a busy intersection. “Opps.”

Eleven blocks and ten lights later, Ororo watched as Logan pulled up to an 19th century former luxury hotel, right in the middle of Brooklyn. The lobby hadn’t changed over time, it still had that over spent feel French feel to it. But it was obvious that the rest of the building had been recently resided and newly refinished. Ororo did a double take when Logan strolled right in and held the door for her. That wasn’t what she was surprised about.

This wasn’t her first trip here.

She held Lucas’s hand as they walked through the lobby and back towards the elevators, and she was finally glad he wasn’t paying attention to anything. Of course that’s when he finally looked up at his *new* surroundings.

“Hey, Mom? Isn’t this…”

She squeezed his hand and held her index finger up to her lips when Logan turned to look back at them both.

The elevator ride to the tenth floor was quick and smooth, Ororo noted. Back in the day, it used to be a rickety cargo elevator that occasionally had to be hand cranked. She wondered where the building managers got the money to have everything redone.

When they stopped at the floor they headed down to apartment 1025. Ororo couldn’t believe her eyes. She felt Lucas squeeze her hand too. He smiled at his mother in their shared secret.

Logan pushed the door inside and peeked in. Yup, everything was just as messy as when they left this morning. Great. Just great.

He pulled the door shut and turned to his guest. “Wait here for just a second,” he said quietly. He burst open the door quickly and yanked Laura inside.

“Daaaaad! What was that for?”

“Look at this place. It’s a mess.”

“What are ya talkin’, Dadu? It looks the same.” Logan rolled his eyes.

“I will give you five dollars clean up. I want to see floor space in every room. That means dirty clothes off floors, dirty dishes in the dishwasher, and toys away.”

“Where do you want them?”

“Just away.”

Laura smiled. Logan didn’t like that and was scared. Before he could ask, the little girl had picked up dirty clothes and stuffed them in drawers, closets, cabinets, wherever they shouldn’t be. Then he heard her attack the dishes. Literally throwing glass and other fragile dishes in the dishwasher, and breaking each one.

“DONE!”

Logan’s mouth quivered.

“Oh, and I found the DVD’s too.”

“Thanks, hun.” Logan answered the door and tried to not look flustered. “Ok, now you can come in.”

Ororo smiled shyly as he took her coat and her son’s. Laura had already inserted Episode IV. As the trailers were running, Laura and Lucas had made themselves comfortable in the two bean bag chairs and grabbed pillows that they promised they wouldn’t put to violent use.

Logan had taken out two cold beers and manage to find non-crude coasters to put them on as well. He was very proud of himself.

Ororo was impressed. This was the first time that she had beer in ages. She was always stuck with wines, chardonnays, and friggin’ Zimas. This beer was the good kind too, produced in Philadelphia called Yuengling. The hops tickled her throat and warmed her tummy.

Wait wait…that wasn’t the hops doing that. That was the thick arm that had magically wrapped it’s way around her, with most of it’s weight on the couch. Ororo raised a skeptical brow at Logan, and he smiled in a boyish way. She turned back to the movie and tried really hard to listen to Luke complain about life on a moisture farm, but it was difficult as she noticed that she kept sliding towards Logan.

It was the indentation in the couch and gravity doing that. Yup. Totally.

It was just then hunger decided to make it’s self known.

“Damn, of course I got guests, and not a damn thing to eat. How’s about we order out? Chinese sound good?”

Laura asked for chow mein. Lucas got the fried dumplings. Ororo went with prawns and rice. Logan gawfed at their girly dishes and went with Kung Pao chicken. Once the food and side dishes were delivered, and handed out ceremoniously, people went back to their respective spots with a promise not to drip anything.

Before the movie started again, Ororo excused herself to the restroom. After washing her hands, she opened the lower cabinet door to see if the mark she and Lucas left there was still there. Sure enough, in very crude carved writing was, “Ro and Luc were here 04.” She couldn’t help laughing. The irony was just too much.

Ororo sat back down next to Logan scarfing down the very last piece of chicken. She looked at him, and couldn’t stop the smile creeping on her face or the giggles that bubbled out afterwards.

Logan took one look at her in his never clean-enough house and was immediately feeling the way he’s often felt when he’s around so many women out of his class. Not quiet good enough.

She put a soft hand on his tense bicep and squeezed to get his complete attention. Ororo paused the movie right at the scene where Han, Leia and Chewbacca were going to get smooshed by the Imperial trash compactor. That caught the children’s attention, as well.

“Does everyone want to see something kind of neat,” she asked.

Laura scrunched up her face when she thought about it. “Is it better than kicking Imperial behind?”

Lucas laughed and nearly chocked on his last dumpling.

“To the bathroom,” Ororo said in her best Super Friends announcer voice. All four people followed her down the hall into the bathroom where she pulled open the bottom cabinet drawer. Logan crouched down to where she had pointed, and that’s where he saw it.

“I don’t get it.”

“Logan, this is where Lucas and I lived when I left my family and right before I open my first store.”

Laura and Logan both turned to each other with questions. Logan shrugged at his daughter. Who knew!

Lucas ran out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. Next to the refrigerator were short horizontal lines going up that indicated growth. Lucas recognized his mother’s handwriting indicating the date and how tall he was at the time. Next to his was a new pattern.

“Mom! Look!”

Ororo clamored out of the bathroom and found what her son was talking about. Logan grinned when he saw them comparing the growth charts. He was curious as he watched them looking at all of their old marks. Why would someone who obviously came from money live own their own with nothing?

Ororo looked down at her watch and frowned. “Baby, we have to go. I don’t need you dragging your feet tomorrow.”

“Do we have to?”

She put her arm around him and guided him to the closet that held his coat.

“Thank you for having us. It was fun.”

Laura gave Ororo the rest of her dish in the container and piped up, “you gotta come back. We haven’t finished the first movie, and there’s two more.”

Logan smiled. “We have to let’em go. They’ve got stuff they gotta do.”

“But…”

“Mom, can we come back? Please????”

Ororo looked around and she found three pairs of big watery puppy dog eyes pleading with her. She didn’t stand a chance.

“After you come back from your father’s. And only if you behave this week at school.”

Lucas scratched his nose. He forgot about school. Apparently so did Laura.

“Hey, Ro? Are ya’ll to doin’ anything tomorrow afternoon. I got a surprise planned. Call me, okay?”

She didn’t give him an answer and he watched from his window as she hailed a cab.

Laura watched her father watching Ms. Monroe and snorted.

“What?”

“You like her.”

“Do not!”

“Why are you lyin’?”

“Go to bed.”

“Booooo.”

Logan blew raspberries at her, and pointed to her bedroom. He tucked her in and turned out her light.

Aw shit, he thought. Was he really that transparent? If Laura knew and picked up so easily, what about Emma, Sue, Raven, Betsy, or worse…Jean?

Ororo Monroe was trouble with the longest legs ever.
Because I Said So by OriginalCeenote
“Sil, yer actin’ like I give a fuck,” Logan railed from the privacy “ nearly “ of his bedroom as he listened to his ex interrupting him for about the fifth time since she called. Three angry voice mails were waiting for him when he finally cleaned up the food cartons and put away the stack of DVDs. He noticed the red light flashing on the phone stand as he came back from guiding a drowsy Laura to her room and kissed her goodnight.

“Maybe you should for a change. You have your days. I have mine. You don’t seem to see it that way.”

“Time got away from us. I just wanted ta do something special for Half-Pint,” he grumbled. “Sorry I didn’t call.”

“You should be,” she snapped.

“Said I was sorry…hello, are ya deaf?”

“So where were you two? Your voice mail was full on your mobile, I couldn’t leave you a message.” Logan cringed guiltily, remembering the dozen or so messages he’d deleted when he woke up.

“We bowled. Then Laura had a friend over. Fergot ta turn the ringer back on.”

“Sure you did.” Any vestige of interest in hearing how they actually spent their time evaporated as she gave the past night she’d spent fuming and worrying its head.

“Ya can ask Laura after she gets out of the shower.”

“I will. I sure the hell will, you sonofabitch!”

“Take yer pill, Sil!”

“Fuck you.” Logan was interrupted by a low knock on his door, and Laura nudged her way inside, her hair still damp and dripping onto her black Supergirl tee with a pink, glittery logo.

“Is that Mom?”

“Sure is, punkin’, here,” he offered, passing her the phone when she rushed over. Her face lit up as she placed it against her ear.

“Mommy, guess what!” Logan suppressed a smile as she used the long-forgotten title and bubbled with details from the previous night. “I went bowling with Rachel last night! Lucas came with us, too,” she announced with less enthusiasm, “and he was the one who broke my Barbie, but his mom said that he had to get me a new one, and she bought it, and it was a Fab Faces doll! It’s SO COOL! I can’t wait til you see it!” Logan couldn’t wait, either. His wife was no more fond of Barbie and her pricey accessories, either, but that didn’t stop her and Vic from unloading a hefty amount of change on ‘em every birthday and Christmas.

“We went bowling, and then we were gonna just come home and watch Star Wars. Luke and his mommy came over here, and we had Chinese food,” she gushed. Logan watched her nodding in response to something her mother asked at her end, and he went back to the task of folding their socks, doing his best to match the ones in the laundry basket. It was always dryer number three, he mused, that loved to eat his damned socks as soon as he bought a new pack. Logan knew he’d have to answer to Silver about the Chinese takeout; he’d promised her a real dinner. Fuck it…

“Luke’s mommy’s okay,” Laura provided, and that gave Logan pause, making his ears prick up mid-fold. “She’s pretty. And she’s really, REALLY tall. Not as big as Victor.”

“No one’s as big as that cuss,” Logan muttered under his breath.

“What did you say, Dad?”

“Nuthin’, kiddo. Just clearin’ my throat.”

“Mommy, is it okay if I stay with Dad until dinner? PLEEEEEEEASSSE? We’re gonna do some stuff.” She made a pouty face, which Logan was sure she was projecting into the phone. He dared her mother to say no. “Some fun stuff. We might go to Chuck E Cheese.” Logan shot her a disgusted look; it was supposed to be a surprise.

“THANKS, Mommy! Oh, I love you, you’re the best mom! YAY!” She grasped the phone in both hands and made smoochy noises into it before handing it back to her father.

“Ya get all that?”

“Uh-huh. I want her home no later than seven. I’ll meet you at the school so we can both go to orientation. I’m taking her to the meet-and-greet.”

“I was gonna take her to that, anyway, Sil.”

“You don’t have to.”

“My goin’ ain’t up to you,” he reminded her. “Seven friggin’ o’clock.”

“Fine.” She beat him to the punch again, hanging up first.

“Nice,” he snarled, punching the off button and flinging the handset onto the rumpled bed. “C’mere, kiddo, and grab some of this laundry. I want it folded and actually PUT AWAY before we go anywhere!”

“Awwwwww,” she groaned, scuffing back to the bed with slumped shoulders.

“We don’t hafta go anywhere,” he reminded her quietly. That was all she needed. Her slender arms snaked out and scooped up as much as her clean laundry from the pile Logan had sorted as she could carry, and she hustled back to her room with it, dropping underpants and socks in her wake.

He felt almost giddy. He kicked himself as he retired to the bathroom to shave, wondering when it began to take him longer than his daughter to get himself ready for a day at grungy old Chuck E Cheese. He squeezed some gel into his palm and ran it under the tap, mashing the damp mixture into his hair before he combed it into some semblance of order. He scowled at a few gray strands that winked up at him in the light, now that it was wet. Great…just what he needed.

Laura was waiting impatiently for him, combing her new doll’s hair for about the fifth time since she got it at the kitchen table.

“Didja eat, Half-Pint?”

“Uh-huh,” she nodded, pointing to her dish next to the sink, bearing the remains of her scrambled eggs and some toast crumbs.

“Whaddya do with it?” he cajoled.

“O-kaaaaay,” she carped, flinging her doll onto the table and dragging her feet oh-so-dramatically and retrieving her plate. She dutifully scraped it into the trash, rinsed it, and tucked it carefully into the dishwasher. Much nicer than last night’s dish performance, he grimaced. Half the plates and bowls she’d handled were chipped, and she cracked his favorite beer glass from Hooters.

“And we’re off!” Logan locked up behind them, pausing briefly to peek at the doorframe Ororo had been admiring with Laura and Luke’s growth marks etched in the cracked paint. Who woulda thought? Miss Uptown High Society used ta hang her hat in his neck of the woods. You could’ve knocked him over with a feather.

That thought kept him up all night. Had she turned her bed to face the same direction he did, to get that first glimpse of the morning sun? One of the reasons why Logan had chosen the unit he had was that it was one of the only ones upstairs that didn’t smell like cats, which he despised. Ororo didn’t strike him as a cat person, either, and he was grateful that she never contributed to the unit smelling like a great, big litter box. God bless her.

The traffic to Chuck E Cheese was no less brutal than it had been yesterday. Logan drove around the parking lot for ten minutes before he finally found a space in the back, nodding his thanks to the old station wagon’s harried mother at the wheel, looking like she’d been granted a pardon from Death Row. Logan thought he saw a plastic airplane fly across the cabin of the car before she exited the lot.

“Gads, Laura, whaddya like so much about this place?”

“It’s okay,” she murmured, trying to pacify him. “My friends come here sometimes.” It was her favorite, despite Rachel’s claim that it was for babies.

“So, would ya be heartbroken if we left early?”

“DAAA-AAAD!”

“Right. Moving on.” They were stamped in and entered when the teenager lowered the velvet rope by the door. Logan felt the faint roaring in his ears starting up already as he watched one dad feeding dollar after dollar into the token machine. A two-year-old was screaming at the top of his lungs in the play tunnels, refusing to go down the slide and giving the three kids in back of him hell. Another little girl who reminded him of Laura at four was bopping the crap out of the Whack-a-Munch machine, missing it every time. A paltry three tickets slithered out of the slot to reward her efforts.

“I wanna play Jurassic Park,” Laura informed him.

“Here ya go, kid,” he offered, digging into his pockets and fishing out a crumpled five, which he tucked into her cupped hands. “Enjoy yerself.”

“Thank you, Daddy!” He chuckled, once again deciding that she used his favorite pet name to bribe him. It worked. Stinker…

Logan perused the ice cream machine’s pitiful selections, choosing between the lesser of two evils, and he was about to buy a bombe pop before his cell phone jangled in his pocket. “Hey,” he breathed into it, dodging being run over by a pack of twelve-year-olds who should have known better, shouting and waving wads of tickets in their hands.

“Hello, stranger,” Ororo murmured. He did a double take at the display, noticing her number. He cleared his throat.

“Hey. What’re ya up to?”

“Listening to Lucas try to convince me that he needs to go out again. His father had other plans.” She wanted to tell him “He punked out and bounced again, like a chump.” All Logan heard was We’re free today.

“So, maybe ya wanna change yer plans, too.”

“Where are you that it’s so noisy?”

“Chuck E Cheese. Thought we mentioned that last night.”

“Right, right. You did. Sorry. Brain fart. We got to bed late. I got up early to get my son ready, and T’Challa had already left me a voice mail last night telling me he had an embassy teleconference at noon. So, no go.”

“Then go. Come out with us. We just got here. We’re gonna be here fer a while.”

“That sounds fine,” she decided. “Didn’t you have to work today?”

“They ended up not needin’ me after all.” Then Logan had a brainstorm for another surprise. “Why dontcha clear yer docket fer the whole day, darlin’? No sense in eatin’ the lousy pizza in this place. We could do lunch. Or something,” he finished, holding his breath. She sighed, and her voice held a faint smile in it as she replied.

“Let me get dressed. See you there.”

“Kay. Bye, ‘Roro.” He grinned. Laura caught his eye and waved to him from the arcade, and he gave her a more fatherly smile, but the more wolfish grin of triumph crept back over his face as he turned back and hit the skeeball machines. He racked up a long string of tickets after blowing his chump change on eight rounds. Laura squealed enviously as he handed her the thick, accordion-folded wad.

“Let’s cash them in,” she urged.

“Uh-uh. Why don’t ya wait til Luke and Mrs. Munroe get here?”

“They’re coming?” She arched her brow at him, imitating his Sunday-best “you’re shitting me” look. He shrugged.

“We invited her before. She called. Seems like we woulda seen her at some point,” he reasoned. Well, it sounded reasonable to him.

He wondered what she’d be wearing this time.

Logan and Laura spent the next ten minutes shooting baskets and playing skeeball. A familiar, rich voice chuckled lightly at a mere 100-point shot that was the next best thing to a gutterball.

“You won’t win the big prizes, throwing like that.” He turned around slowly, since she sounded like she was directly behind him, and he smelled a hint of her spicy perfume.

“We already won a ton of tickets,” Laura boasted to Lucas, who had left his Nintendo handheld at home this time.

“I can play skeeball,” he shot back. “Even my mom can play!”

“It’s like bowling,” Laura retorted, figuring that pretty much ended the discussion.

“Oh, it’s much better than bowling!” Ororo’s grin was infectious and full of mischief. Her lips were painted a luscious plum, looking sweet enough to taste. Her outfit didn’t disappoint. A long black skirt made from suede cloth clung to her curves, and she topped it with another chiffon blouse with fluttering, slashed sleeves, still snugly fitted with a jade green corset, this time made from Oriental silk printed with gold dragons. Her hair was caught back in a high ponytail, and slender gold bangles laddered up her wrist. A pair of ridiculously skinny stilettos that Logan wagered cost half his paycheck shod her feet.

“Didja come from church, or something?” What he really wanted to ask was, Do ya always dress like ya stepped out of the Macy’s front window, and do they know one of their mannequins is standin’ there stark naked?

“Not this morning. Luke has Sunday school next weekend,” she explained, rubbing her son’s head fondly and readjusting his baseball cap. He’d tilted it sideways in an attempt to look “gangsta.” Ororo tilted it back. Lucas snorted, then moved it back. “Boy, you know that looks ghetto, you better fix that!” she nagged, throwing in a little head trip for good measure.

“Why do I hafta wear it that way?”

“Because I said so. What else do ya wanna know?” Her hands propped themselves authoritatively on those hips…Logan mentally wiped away drool. Mmmmmmm. He was torn from his reverie, involving visions of her snuggled on his lap, letting him feel the soft-looking fabric of that skirt when she got back to business. “Are you using that one, Logan?”

“Huh?” Those hips. That mouth. That blouse…

“The skeeball machine. Can I cut in?”

“Oh. Yeah. Heh. Here ya go, darlin’.” He swung away from it, sweeping his hand in an “after you” gesture that he hoped looked gallant. She just giggled.

“Don’t hog it.” She fed it a token and the eight dusty, game-worn balls shuttled down the chute. “C’mon, come to mama, big money, BIG MONEY!” She kissed the ball for luck and let it fly.

Five hundred points. Logan rocked back on his heels.

Ororo mopped the floor with his best scores “ which still didn’t help the condition of the floors, since Logan could feel his feet beginning to stick in something he didn’t want to describe “ and won reels of tickets. Lucas wasn’t doing too poorly, either, which Logan marked up to him being slightly shorter and not having to bend as far to aim it down the lane.

“Wanna go again?” She wore a Cheshire cat smile.

“Uh-uh. Wanna go ta lunch?” he countered. His stomach growled, but she never heard it over the din of kids running around like demon spawn, tearing the place up like they were paying rent.

“No pizza,” she pleaded, screwing up her face.

“Sure as heck not here,” he agreed. “You name the place.”

“Sandy’s Fish and Chips,” she suggested. Logan half-expected something more upscale.

“I want a burger,” Lucas whined. Laura chimed in, raising her hand as though they were already in class.

“Ooh! Ooh! Me too! I want one!”

“They have burgers there,” Ororo assured them. “We can all get what we want.”

Logan hoped she was right.

They made their way toward the door, and Logan felt his nape tighten as Scott Summers ushered Rachel and Nate in through the velvet rope after getting his own hand stamped. Like Ororo, he was slightly overdressed for this place, attired in linen pants and a pinstriped oxford shirt. His loafers sported a high shine, and he was just tucking his Oakleys into his pocket when he spotted them. His face lit up when he headed for Ororo.

“Jeannie called me on her cell. She said you weren’t home. She wanted to know if she could go ahead and book a nail appointment for the two of you on Thursday.”

“Ooh. Love to. But I can’t. I have meetings all day. We’re filling shoe orders for five different stores, and we’re pushing our winter line for shipment this October.”

“Way to rush the season, ‘Ro.”

“Ya gotta get the hook in ‘em,” she shrugged, pantomiming reeling in a big fish. Scott chortled.

“Leave it to you.” He finally acknowledged Logan, and he wore a hard look in his dark eyes.

“Where is Jeannie anyhow, Summers?”

“She’s busy. She wanted an afternoon with her sister Gayle and her friend Lorna.” Scott’s posture was still stiff, his tone indicating that it was none of Logan’s business where his wife was.

“Tell Lorna hi, if you see her.” Ororo’s smile was meant to pacify. It helped.

“Tell her yourself. Rachel’s birthday’s coming up,” Scott reminded her. “Jeannie’s sending out the invitations in the mail. She’s coming. Warren and betsy are coming.” Logan fidgeted at the sound of another name he’d deleted from his voice mail. To her credit, Betsy had only called once.

“Where are you having it?”

“Not here!” Scott blurted. Ororo smothered a snicker. Her blue eyes danced with something akin to amusement and relief. “It’s a barbecue. We’re having a bounce house.”

“I hope you called Charles,” Ororo mentioned.

“I did. He’ll be there with bells on.”

“They’d better match his suit,” she warned. “His current tailor called in his measurements yesterday. I’ve already started something for him that I think Lilli will like on him.”

“She misses you. Give her a call.”

“When I get back. We’re heading out to lunch.” Ororo noticed that Laura and Luke were already mingling with the Summers children and staking out their territory by the video games again. “Provided we can pry them away from the arcade. We’re going to Sandy’s.”

“I didn’t know you liked fish and chips.” He gave her a measured look.

“It never came up in casual conversation.” Logan was growing tired of being left out of the conversation, particularly since Summers was on his way in, Logan was on his way out, and he wanted Ororo to himself, kids notwithstanding.

“LAURA!” He cupped his mouth with his hands, projecting over the clamor in the playplace. “Let’s go eat!” Naturally, that brought her running with Rachel in two.

“Can’t I stay, Dad? Rachel just got here!”

“Yer gonna use up all yer quarters, and we’ve still gotta eat. You’ll see Rachel tomorrow at school.”

“Awww! That’s not the same! That’s SCHOOL,” she pronounced, folding her arms across her chest and treating him to a scowl he’d nicknamed her Donald Duck face.

“There’s still a certain birthday party coming up where you can have lots of time to hang out and have fun together outside of school,” Scott consoled her. “We can’t wait to see you.” Logan almost liked him. Then the thought occurred to him: He was gonna hafta bring Laura to Jean and Scott’s house. “Rachel, ask your mom to send an invitation to school with you tomorrow.” Rachel bounced up and down, clinging to Laura’s arm to make her bounce, too, making it difficult for her to maintain her glare.

“Mom, can’t I stay and hang out with Nate?”

“We’ve been here a while, Luke. Let’s eat. I’m starved. You know you’re hungry, too. I don’t want to hear you acting evil when we go to do something else, and you still haven’t eaten.”

“Man,” he grumped, but the thought of a burger and fries still tempted him. “Okay,” he consented on a grumble. Logan patted his shoulder fondly.

“Man after my own heart,” Logan decided. “Meet ya there, ‘Roro.” He escorted his daughter out once Rachel let go of her, milking the promise from her that she call her later that evening.

“See you there.” She reached out and gently rubbed Scott’s arm, grinning at him with sympathy. At least they were escaping the godawful sounds and smells of this pit. Logan peered back and wanted to snatch her hand away from him, coveting her touch for himself. It didn’t help that she felt so soft, or smelled so inviting.

He herded Laura back to the Escort above the growing tide of complaints. “Rachel just got there! We didn’t even get to cash in our tickets! I wanted to stay, Dad!”

“Save ‘em. Next time ya come, we’ll cash ‘em in for something really good,” he promised. “Maybe you and Luke can pool them together for a decent prize.”

“It’s not the same,” she muttered, but she stopped arguing long enough for him to start the car once she was buckled in. His eyes followed Ororo’s graceful stroll to her car, enjoying her progress in the elegant skirt as her sleeves fluttered in the breeze. Her hair rippled behind her and caught the afternoon sun, setting it ablaze. Damn…

He pulled out of the space, and she caught the sound of his engine. She grinned at him and waved before she and Lucas climbed into the back. It was on the tip of his tongue to ask her if she ever drove anywhere.

Sandy’s Fish and Chips was already crowded by the time they got there; thankfully, the wait for a table was not very long. Ororo and Lucas stopped at a nearby newsstand on the corner and purchased a couple of Archie comics, which they shared with Laura while they waited in the lobby.

“Booth or table, ma’am?” inquired their hostess from the cashier’s desk.

“Booth, if you have one,” Ororo replied. “For four.” Logan enjoyed the sound of her voice. She caught him staring, and gave him an amused look.

“What?”

“Ya sound like someone’s who’s used ta givin’ orders.”

“What? I sound bossy?”

“A little.”

“I’m not that bossy,” she complained, and then she stalked back over to Lucas, who was lazing against the vinyl bench with his comic. “Luke, quit kicking that chair! And please, fix your hat!” She reached over and righted it, once again tilting the bill so it faced forward. He rolled his eyes. “Those eyes’ll be rolling back in your head if I catch you giving me that look again, young man!” She returned to her place beside the “Please Wait to be Seated” sign, and Logan was smirking, letting his eyes crinkle. She liked that crinkle, but she’d never let him know that.

“I’m not that bossy,” he mimicked slyly.

“Hmmph.” Her lips twisted like she’d tasted a sour lemon before she looked away. She kept peering back at him, each time meeting his glance, which only grew more amused each time. “Am not bossy.”

“Are too.”

“Hush, you.”

“See?”

“Am not.”

“Hah!”

“Your table’s ready,” their hostess announced, grinning as though she’d caught the tail end of their skirmish. Ororo beckoned to the kids, and they skipped after their parents, already bragging about how much they planned to eat.

Their waitress materialized before they were even fully seated. “Would you like this on one check?”

“Yes, please,” Ororo informed her before Logan could protest, or even chime in that it was fine. His mind was already puzzling how to end lunch on the right note. No way was she springing for the whole tab. No way.

She just smiled at him as they perused their menus. “I haven’t had fried shrimp in I don’t know how long.”

“Ya like shrimp?”

“Can’t get enough of it.”

“Shrimp. Yuck,” Laura grimaced.

“It’s good,” Luke argued, growing defensive on his mother’s behalf. “I’m still getting a burger.”

“That’s fine, Luke.”

“I want a shake, Dad.” It didn’t escape Logan that she’d dropped “Daddy” as soon as her friends showed up, and it definitely wouldn’t be making an appearance here.

“That’s fine, kiddo. Don’t overdo it, though. Yer mom’s not gonna be too happy if all I did was let ya eat junk today.”

“I had a good breakfast today,” she whined.

“Whaddever. Take it easy on the sweets,” he admonished.

Twenty minutes later, they sat munching on piping hot fries and breaded onion rings from two family-sized baskets in the center of the table. Ororo dipped her shrimp into the spicy cocktail sauce on her plate and popped it into her mouth.

“Mmmmm. I needed that,” she purred. “It’s been a dog’s age since we came here last.”

“Dad brought us on your birthday,” Luke mumbled around his straw as he made short work of his chocolate shake. Laura was paying more attention to her fries, mopping up the puddle of ketchup on her plate using two at a time.

“That was about two birthdays ago,” Ororo pointed out. “He hated this place.”

“Not much of a fish and chip man, I take it?”

“He didn’t even like fried food. McDonald’s or anything like it was his idea of hell.”

“I can’t say that word,” Luke reminded her.

“And you still can’t. Sorry,” she amended.

“Mom won’t let me go there, either,” Laura considered.

“I like it for a quick lunch once in a great while. I get so busy.”

“Ya design clothes?”

“Design, merchandise, and I do a lot of my own marketing. I thought I found my calling a couple of years ago. We didn’t have much back when. I was just separated at the time.”

“Huh.” Logan dipped a piece of his beer-battered cod into the tartar sauce and took a hearty bite. He chewed thoughtfully before answering, “Ya seem like yer doin’ pretty well now.”

“It wasn’t easy. You try making it in the fashion industry in this town, when there’s a few thousand other talented young things trying to design it first and steal your glory.”

“Think I’ll stick ta cars. Don’t know my way around a sewing machine. Don’t really wanna, either. Give me a body ta overhaul or a transmission ta fix, and I’m a happy man. I can do body work.” Her hand paused mid-dip, shrimp hovering over the sauce as she caught the glint of mischief in his eyes. He happily squirted lemon juice on his remaining strips of fried cod before chucking the spent wedge onto his plate. He drew the edge of his thumb into his mouth and sucked the sheen of juice from his skin, drawing her attention to the wicked notch in his upper lip as he pursed his mouth.

He had one heck of a mouth. Bad puns and all.

“Body work isn’t something I have to worry about.” A faint flush rose up in her cheeks, and she toyed with her shrimp.

“Uh-uh. Ya sure don’t.” He was starting to enjoy himself.

“Mooooooommm, Laura’s hogging all the ketchup!” That brought him back to earth, quick.

“Am not!”

“You’ve been hogging it all day!”

“Luke, you’ve got plenty of ketchup.”

“So do you, Half-Pint.”

“Don’t CALL me that!”

“Oooooh, I’m telling Nate! HALF-PINT!”

“SHUT UP, Lucas!”

“Awright, that’s enough! Folks are tryin’ ta eat!”

“Er, excuse me? Check, please!” Ororo flagged down the waitress. “And bring some to-go boxes?”

“He started it,” Laura insisted mulishly.

“Nobody started anything, kiddo. Next time just hand him the ketchup.”

“Lucas, you don’t even eat that much ketchup…”

“I can’t if she’s HOGGING it!”

Gads… “That’s not a nice thing to say.”

“I wanted to hang out with Nate, anyway,” he grumbled, as if to say “So there. Neener-neener boo-boo.”

“You’re not hanging out with Nate. I’d expect you to be polite with him, too, even if you were.” The waitress returned with the check and laid it on the table along with a short stack of white to-go cartons.

Ororo and Logan’s hands pounced, slapping the bill at the same time. Neither of them looked ready to relinquish it.

“Wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t cover it. My treat,” he explained matter-of-factly.

“You treated us already. Dinner, as I recall. It’s my turn,” she reasoned.

“I can get it.”

“No. You can’t.” It was the tip of her tongue to say “Leggo!”

“Flip a coin,” Luke griped.

“Yeah!” Laura chimed in. She fished in her pocket for a Chuck E Cheese leftover token.

“We need something that has both a head and a tail, kiddo,” Logan corrected her. He reached into his own jacket pocket for a quarter. “This’ll do. Call it, Luke.” Lucas beamed at being chosen for the task.

“Heads!” he called triumphantly.

“Tails!” Laura insisted, not to be outdone.

“Duh,” he muttered back.

“Be nice, Lucas!” Ororo nagged, rolling her eyes. Logan deftly flicked the shining coin up into the air. He caught it and smacked it down onto the back of his hand.

Heads.

“What are the odds?” he sighed.

“About seven to one,” she grinned, snatching up the bill. She reached out and pinched Luke’s cheek fondly when he grinned back. Logan snorted as she got up to take care of the tab, and he began shoveling the leftovers into the cartons to occupy himself. That same niggling feeling of inadequacy from the bowling alley, when Ororo gave Laura that expensive doll came roaring back.

He shoved the feelings aside, stuffing them down deep. This was also the same woman who lived in his own humble digs, not long ago. Shoot, she even liked a good beer. Laura and Luke finished their shakes, skraking the bottoms of the glasses with their straws until Ororo came back and told them it wasn’t polite.

“What time is it?” Ororo inquired, squinting at the afternoon sun and how much lower in the sky it seemed from when they left her townhouse.

“Quarter to three.”

“Wow. That late!”

“Ya gotta be back home for something?”

“Luke’s dad was going to call him. He’s got my cellular, but he usually uses my land line to get a hold of me.”

“Maybe ya wanna come with me and Laura on one more little trip?”

“What did you have in mind?” Laura looked as though she, too, were champing at the bit.

“It’s a surprise. We can take my car,” he offered. She considered it for a minute, balancing her to-go boxes in the crook of her arm.

“I don’t want to take up your whole day. It’s your last free day with Laura til school starts.”

“That won’t change if you two come with us.” Her smile spread slowly across her face, and she tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

“Okay.” She called her driver using her mobile, letting him know they had a ride to their next destination, and she would let him know when they were ready to go home. Logan unlocked his car, wisely setting their leftovers in the trunk so they wouldn’t have to smell fried fish on the ride over. He let Ororo in first before making sure both kids were comfortable in the back of his Escort.

They drove to a part of town Ororo wasn’t familiar with, finally arriving at an enormous gravel lot of what looked like a fairgrounds. She saw streamers and balloons tacked to the gates and flying in the air as they let themselves out of the car. An enormous banner read “10th Annual Car Show and Racing Expo!” in huge red letters.

“WOW! What’s going on here today?”

“All kinds of good stuff. It’s a gearhead’s paradise, babe. Get ready to see some stuff you’ve never laid eyes on before, and that ya never will again.” Luke and Laura ran ahead, already intrigued by the loud music and announcements blaring from the loud speakers. Ororo eyed the crowd thoughtfully, taking in the sight of men and women garbed more casually than Logan, and definitely not as gussied up as she was. They waded through an ocean of logo tee shirts and torn jeans and black leather jackets on their way to the ticket booth. Ororo reached for her purse, but Logan stilled her hand. His fingers felt warm against her wrist, sending a pleasant little tingle through her belly.

“Don’t worry about it.” He reached into his pocket and handed the woman in the booth a handful of passes. “Maverick Auto Body and Racing Sports,” he announced briskly. “Three guests.” He waved Luke and Laura over to have their hands stamped again, this time with the black racing car logo that Laura claimed looked like a tattoo.

“I haven’t been to one of these.”

“Then ya haven’t lived.” His fingers carefully reached for her hand and tucked it into the crook of his arm. “C’mon, darlin’.” She reflexively gave him a squeeze, and her smile was almost shy.

It reminded her of a comic convention, except the only superheroes were spray-painted across the hoods of specialty cars. Hondas, Cadillacs, Rolls-Royces and vintage Chevys were lined up and fenced off from the public with velvet ropes, and hot rods gunned around a nearby track, their roar almost deafening. The bass beat of the music piping through the speakers assailed Ororo’s ears, and she was grateful when Logan stopped a strolling vendor to get some small, foam earplugs.

Lucas and Laura were in their element, pointing at all of the cars, each one more sublime than the next. Ororo was inspired by the sleek paint jobs and shining chrome accessories and rims, and enjoyed watching the hydraulics competition as much as her son did.

“Look, Mom, it HOPS!” he cried, pointing to the souped-up Brougham sporting candy paint and a huge graphic of a soaring falcon across the hood. “Awesome!”

“I like THAT one,” Laura sniffed, elbowing her father and directing his gaze to a vanity car that someone tricked out with a My Little Pony mural on a deep pink background with a license plate that read “PRE SHUS.”

“Yer such a girl,” Logan muttered, ruffling her haid.

“She has good taste,” Ororo agreed. “I want that for my next car.” It was still on the tip of Logan’s tongue to ask her what she drove, indeed. He shook it off; she’d think he was being nosy. He was fine where he was, anyway, with her huddling closer to him as the wind picked up, bringing with it a hint of autumn chill.

“Brrr. It wasn’t this cold this morning. Normally I don’t get that cold.”

“Ya just finished a cold soda. That’d do it.”

“You’re not helping me feel any warmer, telling me that,” she chided him, but her tone was good-natured. They were elbow to elbow, and she was still leaning against him. Luke and Laura were still choosing which car they wanted to buy of the ones they saw and indulging in their usual one-upmanship.

“Then let me help ya.” He unbuttoned his fleece-lined jacket and beckoned to her, standing behind her and wrapping her into his embrace, engulfing her as well as he could within its warmth. His chest felt solid and hot beneath the soft flannel shirt he wore, and his masculine scent and the tang of his aftershave surrounded her, appealing to her senses. “Warmer now?” he rumbled, his breath tickling her earlobe and sending more delightful shivers up her spine.

“Yes,” she sighed, and she knew the rapturous grin looked ridiculous on her face. “Thanks.”

“Welcome.” His cheek rubbed the crest of her shoulder, almost intimately. Her curves were supple and fitted easily against him, just like they had the night before. He hadn’t done the old “yawn and reach” around the back of the couch, since she seemed content to lean into him, anyway. Part of him marked it up to the fact that they had a long day. Or that he had a small couch. The other part of him simply cheered.

Lucas was the first one to notice that they were still standing there after the car-hopping contest was over. “Mooooommmmm, let’s GO!” he nagged.

“Dad, I’m cold, too,” Laura pouted, clinging to him like one of those koala doll clips that they used to make for kids’ pencils. Ororo chuckled.

“Can’t have that. Come over here.” Ororo snaked an arm loose from the comfy interior of Logan’s jacket and looped it around Laura, huddling her close. “There. Luke, you too!” Logan’s silent laughter rumbled through her as the kids bucked for what room they could against Ororo.

“My jacket ain’t THAT big,” Logan complained, but he was still grinning.


~0~

The sun was just setting as they staggered out to the parking lot, exhausted. Ororo’s feet were killing her, but she was content. The kids dozed off in the back of the car as soon as Logan hit the highway on-ramp.

“I always wanted to go to one of those.”

“I kinda figured ya might get a kick out of it.”

“It’s nice to have one more thing I can do with Lucas. I taught him how to play chess. We’ve both got a gaming addiction, too; he got that honest from me.”

“He’s got yer laugh. I can hear it in him every now an’ again.”

“Laura’s your clone.” He puffed up with pride from the driver’s seat.

“She’s a heartbreaker, but I’m biased. Gonna stand by the front door with a baseball bat when she thinks she’s old enough ta date.”

“I’ll be right there in the same place, swinging my broom stick when the girls start calling Lucas. Scares me to think how soon that’ll start happening.”

“No shit,” he muttered. “Time flies too friggin’ fast.”

“I’ve tried putting rocks in his pockets to keep him from growing any bigger. It doesn’t work,” she admitted.

“He’s gonna be a monster! Look at the size of his feet! I can’t keep Laura in cleats, either.”

“Is she into sports?”

“Soccer. Practice starts this week. It’s gonna be go, go, go with practices, games, and potlucks for the next two months. Wears me out just thinkin’ about it.”

“Do you take her to everything yourself?”

“I’m the chauffeur most of the time. I share custody with Silver, my ex-wife.”

“Neat name.”

“Short for Silver Fox. She’s Native American and Mexican. Real proud of her people.”

“Good. Luke’s pretty proud of his. His father hails from Africa.”

“What’d he think of you starting your own business?”

“I didn’t until after we were separated. I wanted to have something that was my own. I didn’t want anything from him during the settlement except for Lucas.” Logan glanced at her with surprise. He’d paid Silver alimony until she got married three years ago.

“So that’s how ya ended up in digs like mine?”

“It was home. Home’s wherever you hang your hat.” He chuckled at her use of his favorite phrase.

“Yer gonna hafta tell me where ya live, darlin’.”

“Okay. Turn there.” He guided his way carefully into merging traffic and made a left at the stoplight a quarter of a mile ahead. They drove through the business district; new construction took up every other corner, and each block was crowded with high-rise buildings and “Space for Lease” signs. “I’m three lights up from here, and then a right.”

The view kept improving from where he sat as they drove past elegant brownstone townhouses flanked by dogwood trees bare of their blooms for the coming autumn.

“It’s building 616,” she mentioned, pointing to the one with red shutters on the windows. His knuckles tightened on the steering wheel. It was ten steps up from where she’d come from, living in his building. How did one person come that far in so short a time?

“Would you like to come in for coffee?”

“Maybe next time, ‘Roro.” He longed to, even if the prospect of seeing her opulent home intimidated him. He had to get Laura home to her mother. He promised Silver, and he was already up shit creek if he didn’t.

“Okay.” Her voice was slightly disappointed. “Luke, we’re here,” she prodded, leaning around the seat to nudge him. Her arm bumped Logan’s shoulder as she reached for her son, that slight contact bringing with it more of her light fragrance. Luke smacked his lips and squinted up at her indignantly.

“We’re home already?”

“We have to let Mr. Howlett and Laura get home. You’ve got an early day tomorrow.” Ororo wasn’t looking forward to the task of laying out uniforms, finishing laundry, packing lunches or calling T’Challa back with Lucas’ schedule for the week, or explaining why they weren’t home when he said he’d call. It had to be done.

“Okay,” he grumbled.

“Tell him thank you for inviting us out today.”

“Thank you,” he replied dutifully, climbing out of the car and sagging against his mother, who’d already let herself out and gently shut the door of the Escort.

“See you tomorrow at first bell?”

“Yeah. G’night, ‘Ro,” he bade her, borrowing Summers’ nickname and liking the way it felt on his lips.

“Goodnight.” She trotted up the steps in those killer heels, Lucas in tow, and Logan lingered long enough to enjoy the sight of her climbing the stairs in that skirt.
Make New Friends by Goddessreiko
Playdates and Permission Slips
Chapter 8
Make New Friends

Ororo glared at her answering machine. How dare it actually work? Didn’t she screw around with it enough to break it? No. Dammit! She put that deed higher on her priority list while she listened to her two messages left from her ex-husband.

Message One: “Hello Ororo. This is Prince T’Challa, Lucas‘s father. (“No shit Sherlock. Tell me something I don’t know,” Ororo thought.) I wanted to know if you were still going to accompany Lucas to his Orientation? Please let me know soon if you cannot. I will send a car for him. (“Oh noes, not even the idea of picking him up yourself is going anywhere near that inflated head of yours, is it?”)

Message Two: “Ororo, I do not know where you are or where my grandson are, (“Oh shit. It’s the old one-two punch.”) and frankly I just do not like it. (Hellooo I have a job, and, dare I say, a life of my own!) Seriously, where are you? At work? Oh please. We all know you do not need that business of yours. It’s simply a farce. A teenaged way of getting back at your dead parents. Grow up Ororo! Not only that, if you’re there, does that mean my grandson is with those insolent American nannies. I will not tolerate--- BEEEEP

Message deleted.

She couldn’t believe it. T’Challa couldn’t get his way so he told his Mommy! Ororo looked up at herself in her foyer mirror. Ahuh, you married him, and his mother. Was it worth it? Outside of Lucas, hell no. Would you do anything like that again, she asked her silent reflection.

Absolutely not. Nope! Not in any way shape or form. Marriage was what other people were for. Clients, in fact. Which reminded her, to work on those sketches of wedding gowns to premier next year at Fashion Week. She groaned at the thought. Talk about a slap in the face. Ororo Monroe, allergic to relationships and marriage, promoting the pomp and ceremony that became the bane of her existence.

Life was just grand.

It seemed as if the karma in her life was always on the move. One minute all the things in her life were making her feel content and loved, the next moment everything caved in on itself. She would be left bereft, alone, and suddenly found her self starting over empty handed.

It wouldn’t be so alarming if this hadn’t happened over and over.

First living with her parents. Fine and dandy. Daddy always had his camera. Ororo had fond memories of turning her father’s camera this way and that trying to get it to take the beautiful pictures of the Savanna she saw her Father develop. Off course her pictures were usually of her own stubby fingers because they kept getting in the way. She and her father would sit on the grasses for hours waiting for just the right moment. The sun would turn pick and orange and the trees would look almost black. Then her father would magically produce a soccer ball. She and some of the local kids would play until it got to dark to see. Her father would always make fair calls too. It was Ororo’s favorite place and time.

Then she would go home, and everything changed. Her mother was the polar opposite of her father. Everything had a preordained path. Everything and everyone had a place. Ororo was supposed to be just like her. A cultural leader, a lady, well respected, pristine. A pure combination of old fashioned western ideas layered on top of and intertwined with traditional Kenyan roles. So when Ororo came home with bumps, bruises, and dirt stains from a rousing soccer game, her mother was not very pleased.

Her mother wasn’t pleased when she brought home good grades in algebra. Nor was she elated when those grades sent her to a mix-sex school because it was the top elementary school in Kenya.

N’dare was excited when Ororo finally picked up a Barbie and wouldn’t put it down. Ororo remembered how her Father groaned. She promised him that they would always go on walk-abouts together and play ball. David watched his wife mingle at a party they were hosting when he took Ororo outside to show her a secret present.

There in a long box with a bow on it, was a shiny aluminum softball bat and a buttery soft leather glove. Ororo squeed throughout the rest of the night.

N’Dare found out, and the fight that ensued was on for the books. David defended his actions valiantly. He wanted her to grow up fearless and be able to rescue herself and not have to wait on anyone, or have anyone wait on her. N’Dare wanted Ororo to be a lady. Some who could secure a home and run it efficiently. Ororo never forgot her father’s response to that.

“Ororo will be able to build her own home, single handily.”

Back then, Ororo didn’t know what any of that meant. She sat at her little child’s sewing machine and made Barbie her very own softball uniform. She was surprised when it finished that all the seams were in the right places and it fit! Not bad, she thought to herself. Not bad at all.

Then it her.

When Ororo told her mother about her fanfriggintastic idea about making the best clothes in the world, she really didn’t expect her mother’s panic stricken expression. The next thing that happened was very unexpected for Ororo. N’Dare had made a few phone calls, and a few days later she had noticed that her mother’s friend Ramonda, that she really didn’t like being around, started to come by a lot with her husband, some king guy that Ororo ignored just as much as he ignored her, and their son who did nothing more than boss Ororo around and literally made her cheer on the sidelines.

Even as a boy T’Challa wanted nothing more than to be a bigger better more improved version of his father, T’Chaka. So he went around with his chest puffed out, standing up straighter than was natural, and made sure that everyone knew what was his.

He hadn’t changed a bit even as an adult.

A couple of years had gone by, and the majority of Ororo’s free time had been spent with T’Challa. Ororo would pout when T’Challa would get on her nerves and her mother, and his, would laugh it off in high pitched giggles commenting on how well they were getting along. David would pick Ororo up and swing her around telling her in her ear that he was sorry and that he tried as hard as he could. Ororo remembered laying her head on his shoulder and calling him silly. Back then, she knew he had nothing to be sorry about. She still believed that today.

It wasn’t too soon after that, Ororo had her seventh birthday. N’Dare had suggested that they go to Ororo’s favorite place in the world. Egypt. There both husband and daughter would marvel at the ancient monuments while the mother took in the luxuries and rights of being a princess, herself. She would often wish she could be closer to her daughter, but if the price of raising a real princess and future world leader was the cost of her relationship, then N’Dare reluctantly paid it every day. But tonight they were going to be a family.

N’Dare had arrange for everyone’s favorite food to be brought for room service along with a delicious Ethiopian honey wine. That would make the bombshell she was going to drop much easier to take. Or so she hoped.

That night as everyone sat down to down. Everyone was a bit nervous at the light airy mood. It wasn’t the norm.

N’Dare seized the moment. She told Ororo that when she turned twenty-one that she would be marrying T’Challa.

That was it. No if’s and’s or but’s.

Ororo wanted to laugh. She…she was just a second year student at a primary school. Marriage? And was it just her or did twenty-one sound like there was something wrong with it. She looked at her father with so many questions on her scrunched up face. He looked like he was going to burst into sad little pieces, but then he looked at her and smiled gently.

N’Dare didn’t understand what she had done until that very moment.

Unfortunately by then, it was too late.

The very foundation of the hotel shook like a jello mold. The steel beams and wooden studs couldn’t keep up with the movement and began to buckle uncontrollably. The walls cracked like ice breaking and dust fell from the ceiling. The Monroe family stood up panicked. Ororo clung to her mother’s side while David opened the door to see what was happening. Someone came running down the hall with an automatic rifle screaming the name of the local dictator trying to amass power. David saw bleeding bodies riddled with holes being smashed by debris.

Another violent explosion rocked the hall. It threw apart mother and daughter. David went to save at least one of his girls but a support beam caught him in the legs. The humongous piece of steal separating all three family members from each other.

N’Dare watched in horror as her lover, best friend, and husband grimaced in anguish but tried and succeeded in looking at her as if she had bigger problems. Ororo watched in terrifying horror as her mother clasped on to her father’s graying hands.

It was only moments before he dropped his head and stopped breathing.

Ororo shook her head as more dust shook down from the ceiling and fell on her. She looked up, just in time, to see the ceiling rip apart. Another support beam dropped.

N’Dare ran towards her daughter and pushed her hard enough to give her enough momentum to break through the window behind her as the hotel collapsed in on itself killing all those who remained inside.

As she cleared her head of the horrific memory, Ororo shed the few tears that were threatening her eyes.

After being caught by Egyptian authorities and placed in an orphanage Ororo had became a perpetual runaway. She smiled ruefully. It seemed as if Lucas had her ability to never hold still most of the time. It felt so free to focus on her son rather than herself. It reminded her of an old song lyric.

Keep on Truckin’.

No wait. That wasn’t it.

Keep on keeping on.

Well, either way, that was how she lived her life. If things started to suck, leave and find a better place, or let karma do it for you.

Ororo remembered a few months in Cairo before being adopted by an American family. After social services came to take her after charges of abuse, she came across the Xaviers.

Apparently they had a habit of taking in former runaways and abused children. That’s where a twelve year old Ororo met a thirteen year old Scott Summers. Sure they clashed a lot…ok, constantly. But Lilan and Charles were always there to remind them that they were now related and would never be free from each other. So they had better learn to get along.

Ororo giggled at her initial reaction. Boooooo….

It wasn’t until Charles’s near ancient family mansion that housed they’re ever expanding family, caught on fire that Ororo caught a glimpse of the man Scott was to become.

He was just like her father.

Afterwards they had become the best of friends.

She was there for him when through those pizza face stages. He helped her fit in when she was the awkward quiet token black girl.

She introduced him to Jean.

Scott introduced her to his mechanic friend.

Ororo bought Scott his first box of condoms and taught him about pinching the tip and how to take them off without anything dripping, getting all over everywhere, and making a complete mess.

He often covered for her party girl times with kleptomaniac best friend Remy Lebeau and musian/artist/dancer friend Alison Blaire.

In return she would shower him with mix taped of the greatest pop hits or the next fad in underground music. Ororo kept his affinity for hip-hop a secret. One of the many they shared.

Ororo thought about how out of all the times she had held Scott’s advice sacred, she didn’t know why she didn’t listen to him about the second time T’Challa came into her life.

He told her that T’Challa was in “love” with her for himself and his family. His feelings had nothing to do with Ororo, herself.

Did she listen? Nope.

Good thing Scott wasn’t one for gloating. Her self confidence was extinct when T’Challa put her through the ringer during the pricey humiliating divorce. The only thing Ororo was able to keep was sole custody of Lucas.

That wasn’t even an original condition for the divorce. Ororo grunted at that memory. T’Challa had gotten everything! Every*bloody*thing. He had sole custody of Lucas. It was just too bad that within that year, father and son had seen each other for about three days. A slew of nannies and nursemaids had taken on parental duties. The year after that Ramonda had taken on Lucas herself.

Lucas was so confused and lonely. He had fallen into a deep depression and hadn’t spoken a word since he had been separated from his mother in the first place. Ramonda thought her self made remedies would cure him up. The courts promptly took Lucas away and placed him back with his mother.

Ororo thanked her lucky stars that Lucas was born stateside. She looked down at her boy and said a silently thank you to those who were still looking out for her.

She looked at the clock. She might as well make an attempt at those garments she was supposed to have done already. She wouldn’t get them done tomorrow night because of Orientation.

She sat down and began to rip threw her own carefully sewn seam only having to remake it in a different spot. Ahh…art imitating life, once again.

After about an hour of that, Ororo felt her mind wonder again. This time to the fairly recent present times. She smiled at how much fun she had recently. Who would have thought that yet another mechanic but gruff papa would peek her interest?

Thinking about Logan let a couple of other things peek as well.

She quickly crossed her arms over her chest and scolded herself mentally. That was the last thing she needed. She had only had sex with three people in her life, and the worst karma ever followed her around afterwards. It so wasn’t worth it. Besides she has yet to have…oh what do you call it?

A thing of myth and legend?

She tapped her head repeatedly to get her thoughts straight.

Duh! That’s what it was called.

An orgasm.

Ororo looked at the phone that was a few inches away from her machine. Would Logan be up…err awake at this time at night, for a lonely phone call from a practical stranger?

She picked up the cordless and began to dial.

~*-*~

Scott groaned as he watched more children butcher the hell out of some 70’s classics rearranged for the piano.

Damn, he thought, maybe he should walk Rachel and Nate out and take them to a teacher not a butcher.

The “student” hit another sour note and that when Scott heard the heel of a high heel hit the hardwood floor as hard as it could. Apparently the teacher had enough. He and the two children dared to peek around the corner into the classroom and sighed in defeat when they couldn’t see anything. The children sat back in their seats while Scott did a double take at the long leg that peeked out of the navy blue skirt. The bottom of that ankle had about an inch of colorful and insightful tattoos wrapped around it. The design lead into a black classic mary-jane. (Hmm, that shoe looked familiar?) It almost looked like the owner of that delectable limb once lived wild and now was tweaked into a civilian life.

Scott looked up at the clock when the sagging student came out to his waiting parent. He had finished eighteen minutes early.

He lead the children back to their classroom and he had a strange feeling wrap itself around him. He shrugged it off and blamed it on the upcoming debate.

He walked the children in and was taken aback when the woman with the apple bottom and the tight princess cut blouse turned around.

“Ali?!!”

“Scott,” Ali shrieked. “My god, I haven’t seen you in ages.”

Scott raised a brow and couldn’t help but stare at this totally unrecognizable woman before him.

“Yea, you look…look ah…totally different.”

“I’m actually surprised you recognized me. No one from back in the day does.”

Scott awkwardly scratched the back of his hand and laughed nervously.

“It was the shoes. You and Ro single-hand brought them into style again, I think.”

Ali threw her head back for a heartfelt laugh and that’s when Scott got a real good look at her.

Alison had been the preppy blonde cheerleader with an eclectic taste in music. She had seemed far away from blue collar musicians or high class opera and musical score sound. Scott hated to think of her this way, but she had the outward appearance and attitude of a pop tart while in high school.

But she had some drastic changes to her now. First and foremost was the hair. The blond was gone. Completely. In it’s place was a kitten forties style black as night straight sheet of silk. It was fringed with a messy uneven but extremely short bangs and the legnth in the back was pulled in a side ponytail. Making her look like Betty Page who took on a teaching job. But that wasn’t her most startlingly new feature.

It was her face. She had a beautiful starry pattern that gradually faded and got smaller tattooed on the right side of her face that hovered around her eye. The black ink against her porcelain skin gave it that night sky look. Scott didn’t even want to imagine how much that had hurt.

Then he crunched some mental numbers. That had to be at least four tattoos. His curiosity was up in arms, as were some other things. Which was extremely unusual. He had always wanted the June Cleaver stable safe kind of woman.

Like Jean.

This oddly comfortable brand spankin’ (:D) new Alison was so far from his norm.

She bad the children to take their usual sits and they gladly did.

“Scott, why don’t you sit in this session. It would be nice to catch up with you afterwards. I’m going to have a few extra minutes.” Ali lifted her hand gracefully to point to some leather seat in the back of the studio room.

Scott watched the curve of her hand and noticed the intricate burn-sienna colored design on her palm that stretched out to her fingers. There wasn’t a single part of her that wasn’t interesting, over exposed, or desperate.

Just artfully designed. And he knew from experience that each piece of body art had a story to tell. He wanted to hear them all from her. He doubted those eighteen minutes would cover it.

Scott looked at his kids warming up. “Hey you kids keep up at it for minute, I want to talk to Ms. Blaire outside for a second.”

They nodded halfheartedly at him. Of course they followed him right up to the threshold to hear every word of the conversation.

Rachel sighed at the two adults. “I wonder if he’s gonna ask her out?”

Nate looked at her as if she had three heads. “You can’t be serious. Or did you forget about Mom.”

Rachel kept her eyes on her father and looked at him whistfully. As much as she loved her parents. Papa was her favorite and she wanted him to smile and laugh and stuff. He hasn’t done that in a long long time. He sure was smiling now.

Nate softened up. He knew his sister has yet to forget about being angry at her mother for those overnight hang-outs with Laura’s dad. He was sure that Rachel didn’t mention it, and his Mom didn’t think that anyone else knew.

He really didn’t want to be around when that came out. He’d be sure to find himself over Lucas’s house then. And he would definitely make sure that his mother was home. He may need a hug or two or five.

Nate looked up when he saw that his teacher had shifted her attention wholly to their father.

“So, Ali, um how long have you been around.”

“Don’t you talk to your sister? I’ve been here for a while. Poor you. You’re the one who’s been busy. Plus you got NOSY little buggers and a wife following you around.”

Scott looked away for a minute. Jean hasn’t been around him and only him in far too long. Even when he was home often there was excuses with her. But this had nothing to do with her. All he wanted to do was genuinely catch up with a friend.

Really.

“Are you going to be free anytime soon. We could get some…”

“I don’t drink coffee and I‘m not free this month either. I‘m sorry.” She wanted to pet him when she saw his crestfallen face. “Aw, are you going to give up so easily?”

“Huh?”

“And so eloquent for a lawyer too. I have another job at night, and a different job on the weekends too. Come to Oreintation and we’ll see.”

“Oh damn. I really have to go to that then, don’t I?”

She walked back to the classroom and threw him a sexy smile before disappearing back inside.
Yard Duty by OriginalCeenote
“Don’t forget to send her with lunch money.”

“I already paid it ahead of time, Sil. They make the kids keep a pre-paid tab fer school lunches, so don’t bother nagging me about it.”

“I’m coming to the Orientation, too. I want to meet Laura’s teachers so they recognize me on days where I have her.”

“Sure,” he muttered. “Do whatcha want. I ain’t stoppin’ ya.”

“No shit. See you there.” She hung up with no further pleasantries. He scowled at the phone before slamming it onto its cradle.

“Was that Mommy?”

“Sure was, Punkin’,” he informed her, letting his face assume more agreeable lines when he saw his daughter dressed in the crisp white blouse and dark pleated skirt with buttoned suspenders. She already had on her knee-high socks and was just tugging on her loafers at the kitchen table. Logan sent up a fervent prayer that she wouldn’t outgrow the darn things before Christmas. He’d always joked to Silver that she had feet like Sasquatch, which didn’t earn him any brownie points. Logan didn’t have anything against big feet. Particularly if they were long, slender feet with elegant, pedicured little toes winking up at him from a pair of peek-a-boo pumps.

He wondered what Lucas’ mom would wear to the meeting, and if he’d manage to talk to her. She hadn’t called since their impromptu movie night, leaving his cell phone free for Jean, Raven and Emma to pepper him with voice mail.

He heard his daughter gulping down the last of her cocoa, bringing him out of his reverie. He still hadn’t succeeded in nipping that habit of hers in the bud.

“Don’t spill anything on yerself, Punkin’!”

“I won’t,” she assured him indignantly, even as she wiped her mouth on the back of her hand. Logan sighed and handed her a paper towel off the roll over the sink.

“Lookin’ forward to yer first day?”

“I guess. Can’t wait to hang out with Rachel.”

“Ya hung out with her fer most of the summer!”

“That’s different. Now we can play soccer and do school stuff together.”

“School stuff, huh?”

“Recess. Lunch. Gym. Just stuff.” She looked too sheepish, and her voice trailed off on the last two words.

“That ‘stuff’ better not include makin’ eyes at boys!”

“DADDY!” Her face flushed, and he tried not to laugh, but he managed his best stern look.

“Don’t go makin’ goo-goo eyes at any of ‘em! All of ‘em have cooties, and ya don’t want cooties!”

“You’re a boy, and YOU don’t have cooties,” she accused as she shrugged into her blazer. He followed her back to the sink where she began to brush her hair in the mirror until he reached for the comb. She put down the brush and allowed her father to part it and detangle the shining brown waves, spritzing on some leave-in conditioner that smelled fruity and that Silver had sent over in Laura’s backpack one day after complaining that he’d sent her home after a camping trip with hair that “looked like rats were nesting in it.” Laura stood patiently as he pulled the top section of hair back and brushed it until it was smooth, clipping it back from her face with her favorite tortoiseshell barrette.

“Not too shabby.” Her mother’s smile twinkled up at him, and mischief shone from those eyes that were so much like his. He almost choked with pride but settled for clapping her shoulder fondly and kissing her forehead. “Let’s motor. We’re gonna be late.”

When they got to the school, the parking lot was a maze of cars with doors slamming open and shut and jammed up in traffic. It was worse than waiting for tickets to Episode Three outside the theater, he griped to himself as he finagled a spot in the back, beating a harried looking mother in a Benz to the punch. He knew it’d hurt him in the pocket to use up his paid leave to take the day off unpaid, but he’d promised Laura a holiday trip for Thanksgiving, since he had her this year, and he wanted to save his days.

At least it was a sunny day, free from the humidity that characterized the past month and a half; Logan hated feeling muggy, preferring the cooler months, turning leaves and crisp air. Dimly he remembered Sil saying she loved baking at that time of year. Her homemade bread disappeared fast whenever he and Laura got a whiff of it, drizzled in butter and honey. It wasn’t enough to stop the petty squabbles that plagued them whenever they were behind closed doors, Laura tucked snugly into her bed.

He didn’t know whether to feel happy or frustrated when he heard Rachel Summers’ girlish squeal a few yards away. “Ohmigosh, LAURA! You’re HERE! YAYYYYY!” She flung herself at Laura in a flurry of excitement, jumping up and down until Laura joined her. Logan grinned at Nate, who was rolling his eyes at the spectacle, and he could easily relate. Jean and Scott were hanging back, unloading the kids’ backpacks from the trunk of Jean’s little Lexus SUV. The couple almost matched each other; Scott’s charcoal grey suit screamed “chairman” and was set off by a brilliant white dress shirt, black silk tie and Italian loafers with a high shine. Jean had chosen a sweater set in dove gray with a black silk skirt with a flared hem that showed her legs to their greatest advantage.

Her expression was pleased as they approached; Scott looked like someone force-fed him rotten cheese.

“Are you going to the potluck tonight?” Rachel inquired. Laura shrugged, then looked up at her father.

“Can we?”

“If ya feel like it, kiddo.”

“We were planning on it,” Jean announced. I’ve already got a casserole recipe I was wanting to try out. Maybe we’ll see you two there.”

“We’ll see. Silver might wanna have dinner with ya, too, Laura, don’t forget. She said she’s gonna be here later this morning ta meet yer teachers.”

“COOL! Mom’s coming, Rachel, see? I told you,” she crowed, eyes shining as she tugged her best friend along toward the brick steps. Rachel’s long braid flew out behind her in a flash of coppery red, and Logan sighed over their giggling antics as Nate loped behind them at a slower pace.

“We’ll hear more of that once the day’s over. Doubt I’ll get Ray off the phone.” Scott leaned over and kissed Jean’s cheek, but kept his eyes on Logan before he promised “I’m heading over to the principal’s office to pay Rachel’s lunch money while I have the chance.” Part of him hoped he’d run into Nate and Rachel’s music teacher. Just a flicker of hope, but hope just the same. The thought of it quickened his steps, for a reason he couldn’t name. The niggling feeling that he shouldn’t leave his wife behind in the lot was pushed to the back of his mind.

Jean shut the trunk of her car and locked it up with her keychain; Logan always liked that car but couldn’t see himself paying what he knew had to be a monstrous car payment and insurance premium on something that stealable. She followed him as he also began his trek toward the courtyard, and he schooled his expression into calm lines while she caught up to him, walking briskly on her kitten-heeled pumps.

“I left you a few voice mails.”

“I haven’t checked them yet.”

“They were from yesterday.”

“I must’ve had my phone turned off.”

“Missed you.”

“Guess I was busy. We’re all gonna be busy fer a while, getting the kids settled in. I ain’t gonna have any days off any time soon.”

“How about your afternoons?” Her voice was knowing, and the smile she threw his way was wicked. He clenched his fists inside the pockets of his denim jacket.

“Jeannie…don’t. Let’s not do this.”

“What’s going on? Are you all of the sudden not taking lunch breaks?”

“I’m takin’ ‘em. I just ain’t spendin’ ‘em the same way I used to.” She paused and reached for him, attempting to halt his progress inside. He faced her and didn’t like the look on her face, not unlike the one Scott had given him as they drove up.

“What’s that supposed to mean, Logan?”

“Yer an educated woman, Jeannie. I don’t think I hafta explain it to ya. We’ve had fun. Lots of fun, don’t get me wrong. It’s just…I think it’s time we got back to bein’ a couple of parents whose kids go to the same school. No more, no less.”

“I’m not any different than I was the last time we-“

“Don’t say it. Bad enough there are people around seein’ two people who aren’t married to each other lookin’ like they’re havin’ an argument,” Logan snapped under his breath. “Especially when yer the one who IS married. And yer right, Jean. Ya haven’t changed since the last time, and that’s fine. It ain’t that I feel differently about you, so much as I feel differently about what we’ve been doin’.” He sighed. “I think it’s affecting the kids.”

“They don’t know anything about what we…are you kidding?” she scoffed.

“Nope. I ain’t. Give ‘em credit, Jeannie. Kids know more than they let on. Little rabbits have big ears, and all that other shit.” He turned his back on her again and continued inside, bounding up the steps in his Ropers before she could catch up to him in her pumps. He felt her glaring holes into his back.

Logan made it to the auditorium and scanned the bulletin printed on green paper hanging on a corkboard by the door. The Orientation Session was due to start in twenty minutes. He saw a sea of navy blazers swirling around the stage as the kids took their seats up front. He wanted a seat in the middle so he wouldn’t have to crane his neck all morning, but they were filling up fast. He filed inside with the rest of the crowd, narrowly avoiding Jean catching up to him again. That damned red hair made her too conspicuous; anyone who saw them talking together would remember her too easily. It didn’t help that Scott traveled in important circles of well-known businessmen. Logan found it ironic that he wanted to protect Jean’s image of the trophy wife by keeping her reputation untarnished, but she defeated his efforts at every turn…

He’d just have to try harder. And perhaps that wouldn’t be as hard as he thought.

He followed the ramp slowly, searching for empty seats in the middle when a flash of silvery hair caught his eye. He heard the sound of Nate’s voice whooping with delight as Lucas Munroe stood up and gave him a high-five, leaning around his mother as he did so. She tugged on his blazer to get his attention, and stood from her chair to wave them toward the student seating, handing him his backpack. The seat beside her was now empty.

Logan nudged and buffeted his way toward her, not giving a damn if his “excuse me, pardon me’s” sounded hollow and insincere.

“Ororo?” She turned in her seat to face him, and her eyes lit up as she waved him forward and patted the chair next to her.

“You made it!”

“Wouldn’t miss it.”

“This takes me back,” she explained, shaking her head toward the kids. “I had to wear a uniform back when I was a kid, going to private school. I hated it. Itchiest, most uncomfortable clothes in the world. I felt like I was wearing a straight jacket!” He unbuttoned his broken-in denim jacket and unthreaded his arms from the sleeves, using it as a cushion against his back on the hard wooden seat.

“Ya went ta private school?”

“Yup.”

“Sleep-away?”

“Nope. Co-ed, though.”

“Hnh.”

“I was glad to get Luke in this year. I was on the waiting list for two years!”

“Wasn’t originally my idea to send Laura here. Her mom was adamant about it back before we split. We waited for three.”

“Wow. Guess you’ve topped me.”

“Doesn’t matter much. ‘Winning’ in this case means my daughter spent one more year in public school that’s just paid for by my taxes, not by my take-home pay.” Ororo grinned.

“Awwww. Poor baby.” Her blue eyes were full of mischief. She smelled good, like sandalwood oil and another sweet scent he’d mark up to perfume, subtle enough that he wanted to lean in close and get a better whiff. Her hair was pulled back from her face and fastened high at the crown with a suede hair clip strung with strands of tiger eye beads, much in the same way he’d styled Laura’s, but Ororo’s hair fell in thick, curling waves around her shoulders, framing sleek cheekbones and her graceful neck. Her outfit was more conservative, which would have disappointed him if she didn’t look so good in it. She’d chosen a camel brown wrap dress with three-quarter sleeves and a pair of taupe Jimmy Choo pumps, revealing those long, tapered legs that made him think sinful thoughts.

“So where didja go to school? Here in New York?”

“Not even on this continent. I grew up in Africa.”

“Wow.” That explained that appealing lilt in her accent, he decided. “What made ya come here?”

“I had nothing to stay for once I lost my parents, and when my marriage didn’t work out.” Her gentle smile faltered and her eyes took on a faraway look.

“What happened?” He wanted to reach out and stroke her but he held himself firmly in check.

“We were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The hotel where we were staying was attacked, and my father was hit by a falling beam. My mother died trying to pull him free.” Logan swallowed around a lump in his throat.

“I’m sorry, ‘Ro. Guess I shouldn’t have asked.”

“How would you have known not to?” she pointed out. “The hardest part was not having my parents in my life when Lucas was born. Babies don’t come with instruction manuals.”

“Nope. Not the last time I checked. Too bad he didn’t meet his grandparents.”

“Not the ones on my side.” Her voice hardened slightly, and Logan wondered what he said wrong this time.

“In-law troubles?”

“That’s just the tip of the iceberg.”

“Ahhh. Got it. Say no more.”

“You don’t want me to!” She moved to lean her arm against the armrest until she accidentally bumped his. An awkward flush bathed her cheeks at the warm contact, and she felt tingle run up the affected limb, making her pulse jump. Down, girl. Logan smiled and cleared his throat.

“Be my guest,” he offered.

“We can take turns,” she countered. The unspoken urge to simply share the rest by holding his hand nagged her, but she behaved and settled back as the principal tested the volume on the microphone and introduced himself.

“Good morning. I’m Henry McCoy, your principal for this new school year. Are you ready to be a school superstar?” he bellowed. An answering chorus of cheers from the front five rows was accompanied by foot-stomping, and the jolly-looking man grinned behind his spectacles and pretended to be blown back by their enthusiasm. The parents chuckled behind their hands, loosening up the tension.

“Every year I say this is going to be the best year ever, and every year you all prove me right! I’d like to welcome you to this fine school and give you an overview of what to expect these first two weeks. Music signups and registration for fall intramural sports should have been sent out to you in the mail, but if you have not completed the paperwork, stop by my office and pick it up at the reception desk. My assistant, Mrs. Reyes, will be happy to answer your questions.” A pleasant-looking woman with a chestnut brown complexion and dark dreadlocks waved to the audience and smiled from the other side of the podium. “School tours will begin as soon as you leave this auditorium; signs and arrows in the halls will lead you where you need to go, and there’s a map key of the school located in the main hall. Report to your child’s homeroom by 9:30AM. Going forward, school is in session starting at 8:15. Absences must be called in to avoid truancy reported on the student’s records.” He smiled again and declared “Let’s get this school year off to a great start, what do you say?” There was another round of cheers as the other members of the faculty began to introduce themselves, and then Mrs. Reyes read off the other pertinent items on the agenda, namely where to collect the school information packets that needed to be filled out by week’s end. Logan’s brain was already swimming with visions of his signature on sheet after sheet of forms.

“More paperwork,” Ororo griped under breath, echoing his thoughts.

“We ain’t busy enough, what with making a living and all.”

“Soccer practice.”

“Music lessons,” he one-upped her.

“Carpool.”

“Teacher conferences,” he muttered, just getting warmed up.

“Parent community service,” she offered. She squelched a groan at the prospect of grading papers.

“Yard duty!” he shot back, and she looked like he got her, shaking her finger knowingly at him.

“Okay. You got me.” The children began to file out through the side exit by the stage, and Logan and Ororo rose from their seats. He allowed her to edge past him, taking that moment to enjoy her scent again.

He nearly bumped up against her back when she stopped short in the aisle.

“Ooph…er, aren’t ya headin’ outta here, darlin’?” She nodded mutely, but her gaze was riveted on the entrance to the auditorium, and he felt her tension without even touching her. A tall, strikingly dark man with chiseled features was making his way down, his eyes searching through the crowd. His clothing lacked no more luxury than most of the white-collar parents present; if anything, he made them look dowdy by comparison, except for ‘Ro.

His dark gaze zeroed in on Ororo and he wove his way easily through the crowd. Ororo exhaled gustily through her nose and stiffened up like a poker.

“Where is my son?” he asked without preamble before sweeping his eyes over Logan with a hint of amusement and disdain.

“Headed to his class with the rest of the students. You’re late.”

“I had to take care of some details. You didn’t return my voice mail.”

“I had to take care of some details. Namely planning out my son’s first day of school.” Logan could have sworn he saw flames licking up in those eyes.

“My son was deprived of a proper ride to school after I sent a driver, and you weren’t there to greet him.”

“He’ll live. It’s been some time since you’ve even called him.”

“Yesterday was quite recent,” he corrected her imperiously before directing his attention to Logan. “And you are?”

“Friend of ‘Ro’s. My daughter goes here. Name’s Logan,” he offered, but something kept him from extending his hand. He was glad he didn’t.

“Then you’ll excuse me while I speak with my wife?” His voice was silky and confident. Logan felt like he’d been socked in the gut.

“Knock yerself out,” Logan quipped, but Ororo detected something wounded in his voice, and when she turned to face him, disappointment and annoyance darkened his features. She longed to reach out and smooth it away, but he was already making haste toward the exit.

“What a horrid little nickname from that roughneck of a man.” He chuckled at her glare and cranked the wattage of his smile a notch. He reached for her arm and beckoned for her to follow him. She snatched it away and gave him a look that promised a slow, painful death.

“It shouldn’t matter to you what he calls me. You have no right calling me your wife, or have you forgotten, T’Challa?”

“You knew your duties when you joined yourself to me in marriage. Whether you assume the mantle of Queen again is irrelevant; my son is still next in line to my throne. You will help raise him as such.”

“Bullshit,” she snapped. Before she could read him the riot act, she heard another voice that sent her hackles up.

“T’Challa? T’Challa, where is my grandson? I expect to lay eyes on him before I have to… well, look who decided to show herself! Where have you been, young lady?”

“Living my life. Good morning, Ramonda.” Her tone was clipped and curt. Her mother-in-law drew herself up as tall and proudly as her petite stature would allow. She may look delicate, Ororo thought, but she was still hell on wheels. She was still a handsome woman, too, she decided. Her son had her exotic, slanted black eyes and high cheekbones, which he’d then passed on to Lucas, and Ororo was grateful. Her other qualities she could keep to herself…

“Your darling mother is turning over in her grave.”

“She’s at rest now, which I will thank you to remember. And my father would have enjoyed seeing his grandson have this opportunity.”

“We’re here for the Orientation,” T’Challa intervened, noticing the evil looks his ex and his mother were leveling at each other and fearing that the hair was gonna fly at any minute.

“Be at Lucas’ homeroom by 9:30. You’ll have an opportunity to meet his teacher. I’m going on the tour now.”

“I’d like to take Lucas to dinner,” T’Challa mentioned casually. “You may join us, if you like. Provided I’m not tearing you away from…other plans? Logan, was it?”

“My plans involve the school potluck tonight. Luke’s coming with me. Show up if you want. It’s a free country.” She folded her leather jacket neatly over her arm and skirted around them. Ramonda sighed as she watched her retreat.

“Her manners haven’t improved with age.”

“That doesn’t concern me much right now.” He tucked his mother’s hand in the crook of his arm and led her back up the aisle.


~0~

Logan couldn’t get out of the school fast enough. He’d downed a cup of mediocre coffee and choked down a flavorless donut in the cafeteria once he’d finished a perfunctory introduction to Laura’s homeroom teacher. She caught him long enough to remind him cheerfully to sign up for parent community service; her desk plaque identified her as Sally Blevins-Collins, and she was just too damned perky for the mood he was in.

He hit the signup boards, clutching Laura’s info packet against him like a life raft. He used the blue pen hanging by a string and thumb tacked to the bulletin board to scrawl his name on the sheet for yard duty, since it was a no-brainer and he could do it on his lunch. It beat his old lunch plans by a mile…

And speak of the red-haired devil…

“I wasn’t sure I’d find you,” Jean puffed. Scott was nowhere to be seen, which annoyed him, not that he wanted to see him.

“Where’s yer lovin’ hubby?” The words felt weird coming out of his mouth.

“He had to get back to work. He also had to drop off Nate’s trombone in the music room.”

“Makes two of us. I’ve gotta bail.”

“Logan…”

“Don’t let me keep ya.” He waved and took his leave. Jean grumbled under her breath.

“What the hell was that all about?” She turned to find Ororo approaching the signup sheets, looking equally frustrated, and she noticed that she also caught sight of Logan making his escape. Jean cocked an eyebrow at her oldest friend.

“Where’s Scott?” Ororo inquired.

“He’s in the music room.”

“That’s nice. Hopefully he’ll get the chance to tell Ali hello.”

“Ali?”

“Alison. Alison Blaire. You know, from high school? Perky? Blonde? Voted Most Talented and Most Friendly in the yearbook?” Jean sniffed; she’d gotten Most Attractive, which was nothing to sneeze at.

“Wait…ALI! Good grief, it’s been ages! How does she look?” First question that popped into Jean’s mind, Ororo chuckled to herself.

“You wouldn’t recognize her.” Instantly Jean pictured someone with premature middle-age spread, bad highlights and sensible shoes, carrying a fake Prada purse, and she brightened considerably.

“I’ll have to stop by and say hi!”

“Wouldn’t hurt. See you at the potluck.”

“Going so soon?”

“I’ve gotta bail,” Ororo remarked, having no clue she’d echoed Logan’s words. She found the signup form for field trip carpool and scribbled her name in the last column. She did the same for paper grading and the PTA bake sale. She could shill cupcakes with sprinkles with the best of them. Bake? No. Sell? Yes.

“Everyone’s deserting me today,” Jean pouted. Then she remembered, “What are you bringing to dinner?”

“Preferably something I don’t have to cook.”

“How you’ve managed so long not to boil so much as a pot of water when you have a child is beyond me,” Jean tsked. She treated the Pampered Chef catalog like it was gospel. Ororo grinned and offered her a brief hug goodbye.

“Tell Scott I said hello. See you tonight.”

“Soccer practice tomorrow,” Jean added, calling after her before she headed toward the music room.

She noticed that the children were milling around a tall rack of instrument cases and selecting them one at a time. Nate was already seated in the brass section, wiping down his trombone with a soft chamois cloth. He caught his mother’s eye and waved; she waved back, noticing that Scott was already gone. She checked her phone for missed calls; there were none.

“Hello, stranger,” chirped a familiar voice by her elbow. Jean whirled and gasped aloud, unable to stop the sound from escaping her lips.

“Oh. Oh, my…wait. ALI???”

“You look great!” announced the vision before, making her wonder who had spiked her morning coffee with hallucinogenics.

“Wow.”

“I know, it’s been so long since I’ve seen you!”

“Er…wow.” She made limp motions toward her hair, and her eyes were glued to her tattoos.

“You have the sweetest kids! Rachel takes so much after you, and Nate reminds me so much of Scott freshman year…so what’s going on?”

“Orientation. Just…getting oriented. So, er, what made you…do this?” she gestured. An unbridled laugh shook Ali’s slender frame, not a spare ounce of flab visible beneath her long, black sheath dress, paired with black leather boots and a matching crocheted shrug sweater.

“I got bored one day. Needed a change. Out with the old, in with the new, huh?”

“Wow.”

“We kinda went over the whole ‘wow’ thing,” Ali pointed out. “But look at you! Married life’s been good to you! Ororo wasn’t kidding when she said you had it all.” This time Jean beamed. Her smile faltered a little when she said “Did Scott mention he ran into me yesterday?”

“Er, no. He didn’t mention it.” Ali shrugged.

“No biggie. Listen, I’ve got fifty students champing at the bit for me to get back behind the conductor’s stand, so I’ll let you go. Nice seeing you!” The faintly flared hem of her dress rippled behind her, adding to the illusion that she was made from liquid shadow. Jean waved a weak goodbye and wondered to herself if the whole world had gone insane. She checked her phone again. Still no voice mail from Logan, or from Scott. Darn it.


~0~


Sometimes a guy just had to hit something. The sledge hammer felt good in his hands as he banged out the dent in the fender of the Mustang convertible that was shaping up to be the highlight of their upcoming expo.

“Somebody’s havin’ issues,” his buddy Dave observed, taking a long pull off his Mountain Dew.

“Yard duty signups. Pushy parents. Pushy teachers. The usual. First day of school.” He didn’t provide any further details.

“Ugh,” he snorted. “Makes me glad I don’t have kids.”

“One more reason they call ya Maverick, eh?”

“One more reason they call me, period. No obstacles, no foul.” David North’s black book read like the city white pages. Logan would have envied him, but kissing Laura goodnight chased such thoughts out of his mind. Despite his mess of a marriage, he wouldn’t have traded being a father for the world.

Married. Ororo was married. Logan wanted to kick himself. He’d finally gotten on the right track, spending his time on a single parent, like him, who seemed to have her shit together, and the universe at large played a joke on him, sending him back to square one. Then you’ll excuse me while I speak with my wife? Well, excuse the heck outta me, Logan thought sourly.

He wasn’t in the mood to chase after another woman hiding the ring on her finger. Even if she had the eyes of an angel and lips that inspired him to sin.
Obligations by Goddessreiko
Playdates and Permission Slips
Chapter 10
Obligations


Ororo traversed through the baked goods of the Acme and gritted her teeth. Not even the sweet scents of Acme’s bakery could bring her out of her reverie. How dare he? Wait, why did she continually ask that whenever T’Challa was involved. She wanted to slap herself. She carelessly threw two packages of soft baked walnut chocolate cookies into the cart. She groaned when she had to literally drag Lucas away from the ice cream cakes.

“Mo- -”

“No,” came the adamant immediate reply.

“But?”

“Absolutely not.”

“But Dad woulda”

“Of course he *woulda*. He’s desperate to get in your good graces to A. make up for lost time and B. to get under my skin.”

Nate looked down and mouthed “oh” silently. She looked down at him and she sighed.

“I’m sorry. I just…it’s been a rough night.”

“It’s ok, Mom. We’ll have fun tonight with everyone at the potluck. Nate’s coming. SoisRachel” *grumble grumble* “I hope Mr. Howlett can come too. Hangin’ out with him was so cool.”

Ororo furrowed her brow. Logan had disappeared so abruptly when T’Challa had shown up. Damn him, he always had the tendency to do that to people. She made a mental note to herself to track down Logan at the dinner.

They went to the back of the store and picked up some frozen hors d'oeuvres.

“I think that’s good Mom. No one’s gonna eat much anyway.” Lucas stared at his Mom chewing on her bottom lip staring intently at the three items in the cart. She look lost and far away. He hated it when she was like that. More often than not, it was just the two of them. She was his leader, his friend, and of course his mother. He couldn’t and wouldn’t lose her now. His hand slipped into hers as he carefully turned her around to the check-out lanes.

Lucas knew that he had the job of cheering his Mother up. He was always good at that. Always. And no one was going to bring her down again.

After another worthless half hour of trying to find the most efficient and quickest check-out line, Ororo and Lucas were able to leave with groceries in tow and the weight of the world on their shoulders.

~*_*~

Jean looked at her husband with a straight face that screamed anger. He rolled his eyes as he turned from her. Every time Scott tried to bring up Jean’s lack of attentions, disappearing moments, and other suspicious activity she would consistently wrap the conversation around to make him feel awful. It was the old, “you don’t trust me,” or “I’m in this house all damn day, so yes, I go out at night and be myself.” To Scott it wasn’t even a fight, it was now just a natural reaction. Jean should have taken in his slumped shoulders and his defeated responses.

But this time she got original.

Jean wiggled her mouth to help relax her muscles and remove her frown. After a long inhale she turned to her vanity sat down and stared remotely at her own reflection. She watched as he basically ignored her and changed out of his formal work attire into a more casual button down and khaki cargo’s for the dinner tonight. He seemed more than content to ignore the blatantly obvious non-verbal signs of distress she was sending his way.

He tugged on his shirt over his a-tee and could feel Jean watch him in a way she hadn’t in a long time. Then it hit him. He focused on his buttons instead of curling his hands up in a fist. She wasn’t interested in him as much as she was pleasing herself. This was more of her continual selfishness that made Scott the opposite of virile.

He sat down on the bed to put his shoes on and once again ignored Jean’s advertisement for attention as she began to brush her hair in the most attractive way possible with long slow strokes and fingering it so it would land framing her face and down her breasts highlighting all of those features. She flipped her hair back and looked at her husband in the mirror. He wasn’t even paying attention to her. She bit back a grunt and stalked towards him, stopping directly in front of his very “interesting” shoes.

She had taken off her own vest and opened her blouse earlier. Her hands roamed down her husband’s hair to his shoulders and back to his face. Her lithe fingers slipped under his chin and pushed up his face to meet hers.

“Scott, do you still find me attractive?”

“What,” he asked feeling oddly trapped.

“Do you still love me,” she asked as she straddled him and forced him back on the bed in a perpendicular fashion.

“Jesus Jean. I just got dressed. We have to leave in half an hour and we both know that the kids aren’t ready. Rushing them out of the house never works, and we’re always late. This can wait.”

Jean felt a serious force of dread at his lack of answer and his deferment of the subject but continued on undaunted.

“Baby, when was the last time we were like this, hmm?”

“Aw golly gee Jean, I remember JUST having this conversation with you a minute ago. You told me that you are tired more often than not. I suggested hiring a nanny. You got insulted. I suggested less night trips to the gym, you didn’t want to gain weight and it’s your favorite time to go. I come home at night and the kids are studying the house is quiet and you’re…out being yourself. That’s fucking awesome.” Scott didn’t miss his wife’s flinch at his explosive curse. She never backed down from him before, so why now? He was angry and confused and he wanted something less painful and fantastically simple to think about. He closed his eyes as a sign of annoyance, when in reality it was a way to remember an old friend.

Ali drifted in his thoughts as a fleeting but funky punk-ish fairy with a sly smile, midnight hair with a blaze of color, and art on her body that told dozens of stories.

Jean wanted to scream at Scott’s initial lack of response. It was never her intention to completely drive him away. Spilt milk, she thought. She knew that in the end, there would be no way in hell nothing she did would drive Scott away. She reached down to squeeze his erection. There was just one problem.

There wasn’t any.

He was completely limp. As in not interested in the least bit. Jean was immediately worried. This hasn’t happened before. She was about to ask him what was wrong when she peered up at his face.

Scott’s mind ran a mile a minute. Get the dry cleaning done, replace the lactose intolerant milk for Rachel, Nate needed new basketball sneakers, Jean needed to update her insurance information. He needed to write the deposition for his pro bono case as well as make the itinerary for prepping his grand jury defendant. Then he also remembered having to go over Charles‘s taxes to make sure they were in the all-clear…Dammit he had much better things he should have been doing!

Scott’s eyes were closed and his face was relaxed. Jean felt pressure underneath his pants as he slowly started to rise. She sighed as she felt herself wane in defeat even more. Scott had just answered her previous question.

Scott didn’t want to do this right now, and not because of the reasons he gave. He was sick and tired of sex with Jean being all about her. She wanted the attention on her. She needed to be reaffirmed that she was a cocktease. She wanted it her way. That’s it. She wondered why sex became a chore to Scott.

He didn’t want to work hard at…WORK, come home and work the wife, and working with the kids before finally pretending to be sleep.

“Jean, we can’t do this right now.”

“You can make it quick, right.” It wasn’t a question at all.

Scott pushed her off at went to sit up only to be pushed down by his wife.

“Baby common, this isn’t like you.”

“How would you know? You’re barely around anymore.”

Jean ignored the comment and opened his fly. She followed the thin line of his happy trail and wrap her hand around his semi-erect penis. With deliberate movements she began to stroke him, but to no avail.

“Please just relax, ok. Whatever it is you’re angry about, I’m sorry.”

Watching Jean practically force herself on to him proved his point. He didn’t want to have sex right now, she did, so now they were going to have sex. Whatever happened to compromises that left both parties content and sated.

Once again his thoughts drifted to a pair of pale hands strumming a guitar, a euphonic voice whispering an emotional ballad while he gazed up at the stars above him that resembled the pattern on her face. He felt calm and collected while just being able to breathe and rest with her.

Jean smiled when he hardened in her hand. Even though she felt a bad about using Scott like this, she knew it was too late to turn back now. She also that she was in for his infamous cold shoulder later at the pot luck.

He’ll get over, she thought. He always did. Jean’s safety net was indestructible. But all good things must come to an…Jean leaned in to her husband’s neck to suck on it. Oddly enough instead of relaxing and moving towards her, he flinched and tried to scoot away. Damn him, she thought. He was making her think pessimistic thoughts.

As she mounted her husband with his still had this nagging doubt in the back of her mind. Something was obviously wrong with Scott, beside his usual amount of piss-officidy with her. Not only that but she never forgot how Logan all but ran from her today.

Ugg, she looked at the clock as she continued to try to pump an orgasm out of Scott, let alone herself. She would definitely try to track down Logan.

Scott opened his eyes just in time to see Jean glance at the clock. In a past life he had to have committed genocide to deserve this kind of cruel and unusual punishment.

“Ok, I’m done.”

“What? No you’re not.”

“Jean, I just came. I know when I come. Jesus on a stick, they are my balls after all.”

“We should get going.”

“Really, Jean? You sure about that?”

“No need for sarcasm, Scott. I get it.”

They both quietly got dressed and left to find the children to get ready to go. Both Jean and Scott knew a lie when they heard it.

Scott Summers had just faked an orgasm.


~*_*~

Dave watched as Logan furiously unpacked a pallet they had just gotten 10w40. He shook his head silently watching his friend.

“Dude, you finished ten minutes ago. Why are you still here?”

Logan stopped and wiped his brow with the back of his hand getting more oil on his face than he had wiped sweat off.

“I got another five minutes. I can finish unloading. The last thing you need is to put your back out. I think there’s gonna be a few tears if that happens,” he winked at his friend.

Dave laughed then pointed at the clock in the corner of the garage.

“Oh shit,” Logan cried. “I gotta run. Damn, I didn’t even notice it was that late.” He wanted to ask where his head was, but he already knew. Thinking about how he got played took up the majority of his day.

But then there was that little squeaky optimistic voice in his head that kept going off. “Ororo didn’t have the usual motive and behavior of a normal wife-on-the-prowl.” He told the voice to fuck off. The voice would then proceed to nag him about how Ororo had never once been outwardly flirtatious, and seemed nervous and shy. He dropped more expletives at the voice in his head, but the message seeped through.

Ororo hadn’t acted coy or sexually inviting. She seemed preoccupied and more worried. Lucas was always first on her mind, then her business, then whatever it was she was worried about.

Ororo’s list of priorities was drastically different than Jean’s. Logan grinded his teeth at the thought of the red head. With Jean it was always, “lets fuck,” then, “I can’t let Scott find out,” finishing up with, “I’m dropping my kids of at friends/practice/sport/other activity, when can we fuck again/listen to me whine about my horrid life is and how I feel trapped in it.”

Logan realized that until earlier today Ro hadn’t mentioned her life at all. Never in her slight monologue had she mentioned a husband. It just didn’t add up. The pompous arrogant ass-hat had made sure that he put his claim on Ororo with the first words out of his mouth. Logan stroked his chin and remembered her near panic stricken and angry reaction.

That kind of reaction was generally reserved for exes who parted badly. Very Badly.

Logan literally perked up at this. Seeing as how he had Ro one a couple of “almost” dates, and this man couldn’t even get an amicable hello out of the lady. Logan had something tiny boiling in his soul.

Faith.

Faith in himself, and for once, faith in a woman.

He hoped that when he talked to her she wouldn’t be so tight lipped. What was she hiding?

Once in the car, he called Laura to make sure that she was changed and ready.

“Daddy, do we have to stay long?”

“You know your mother is coming too, so yea, we probably do.” Logan winced. He forgot all about Silver and FRIGGIN Vic coming tonight as well. It was beginning to turn into one stellar evening.

Aw damn.


~*_*~

Ramonda looked around at all the tables in the cafeteria. She reorganized some of the platters she called in to be catered for the dinner tonight. Trust New York to have twenty four hour catering businesses. She looked at her son talking on the phone and he smirked triumphantly back at her. His three piece charcoal suit made him look even more intimidating than his attitude and demeanor alone. Ramonda wanted to laugh out loud as faculty, parents, children, and other business types began to file in the dining room. They had their eyes glued to the upper class treats on the trays laid out before them. Most looked around questionably with their own dishes from home in their hands. Some walked straight to the trash can and dumped them in, and didn’t even bother to stay.

Ramonda looked straight at them and mumbled, “Americans.”

T’Challa looked at his stepmother and laughed softly. “Now now, Mother. We are guest here. Let’s not overstay our welcome or insult our hosts for the evening.” He said it loud enough to insult the rest of the people considering the trash can.

“Don’t you think it’s far too late for that,” a very brisk feminine voice said directly behind him.

Before he turned around, T’Challa inhaled and tried to remove the smile. “Ororo, I knew you couldn’t resist...me.” His step-mother merely rolled her eyes.

“Oh please. I would say, don’t flatter yourself, but in all honesty, that is the only place you’ll ever receive any sincere compliments.”

Everyone and everything stopped in the room.

Logan who was nearly dragging a yawning Laura into the dining room looked up at the striking woman with a crooked “huh” written on his face. Laura stifled a giggle.

Lucas glared at both of his parents. “Knock it off, please” he said in a hushed tone. “God, Dad you can be so….never mind. You don’t take me seriously, and Mom, stop starting stuff with him.” He slammed the cookies down on the table, opened them up, grabbed two and walked out. “I’m gonna find Nate,” he said to them as he left. “Oh hey, Logan,” he said as he passed the stout man in the threshold.

“Logan,” Ororo whispered when she saw his shadowed figure in the doorway.

“Hey Ro,” he said quietly. Laura waved at her enthusiastically with her free hand.

“I’m afraid you may have not gotten to be introduced properly earlier. This is my ex-husband. T’Challa, he’s ahh…”

T’Challa stuck out his hand, and literally looked down at Logan in his worn jeans.

Just then, as if on some evil que, Ramonda saddled up behind her step-son and finished the introduction.

“Yes, this is His Esteemed Royal Highness of the Republic of Wakanda, and you are?”

Logan raised his brow and let go of his daughter’s hand to stroke his fuzzy chin. “A royal family of a Republic? Isn’t that an oxymoron?”

The smiles quickly left the faces of the mother and son and found themselves combined on Logan’s face.

In the anxious quiet a family of crushed voices could be heard and the Summer’s family came into view. Jean smiled and came up to T’Challa.

“Oh my gosh, I had no idea that you would be here.” She pulled him off to the corner. “I always that things would turn around for the better between you and Ororo. She would tell me the most awful stories about you. She said that you made her feel constantly inadequate. I knew that she was just exaggerating.”

By this time more people started to mingle and converse. Children disappeared into groups of their own. Scott, Ororo and Logan found themselves drawn into conversation.

Scott glared at Jean. Ororo glared at both Jean and T’Challa. When she heard her friend talk about her and basically call her a liar, she knew that she’d half to watch her tongue, and make sure that Jean knew what it felt like to be talked about. Neither Scott nor Ororo saw how Logan was staring at Ororo.

Two more people walked in the room and headed. The tall blond imposing man walked towards the head of the room. Scott instantly recognized the sway of the shapely hips covered by black silk.

“Hi Ali!!!” He had said with way to loud with way way to much passion. Of course everyone stopped to look. Jean and T’challa had stopped talking to look as well. Jean cocked her head to the side as if she didn’t believe that just happened.

Ali came up and squeezed Scott’s arm. The for of them quickly started to laugh with her funny stories of silly things students have said or done.

“Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen.” The tall blond man held up a glass of orange juice. Everyone turned to give the well dress speaker their attention.

Jean inhaled a surprise squeak and whispered, “Warren?” Scott stiffened up and nearly crushed his soda. Ali felt him changed and rubbed his bicep softly. Ororo didn’t miss the contact.

“Now that everyone is here,” Warren announced, “I can tell you that we have made a decision on our new Board member. As you know, with Xavier’s departure for his campaign, we have need for another member who will help us and provide our children with the absolute best in child care. I am pleased to announce that His Royal Highness Prince T’Challa has accepted our invitation.”

It was obvious that the applause that followed was out of an obligation of politeness.
Making the Grade by OriginalCeenote
Kids were less complicated than adults. Logan knew there were plenty of people who would disagree with him, but he’d rather suffer a slumber party of Laura’s shrill and giggling friends, or watch one of her soccer games in roasting heat than endure another potluck. Other kids’ parents sucked.

Every time he wanted to talk to Ororo, something got in the way. Scratch that; make that several someones.

All he’d wanted to do last night was bring some chips and dip and let his daughter have a nice night with both of her parents for a change, even if listening to Sil and Vic for an hour felt like chewing his arm out of a trap. She’d been pretty excited from the moment he’d come home, chattering at him the whole way to the convenience store to get some snacks. She filled his ear while he parked his Escort in the back of the surprisingly crowded lot at the school. Great. More people to stumble over when it was time to leave.

Laura was comfortably attired in her favorite jeans with embroidered butterflies. Weekends and shindigs like this were an excuse to hang out uniform-free with her friends.

And off she went. Rachel swooped down and stole her away while Logan ambled through the makeshift buffet. Highbrow offerings like prime rib and shrimp cocktail and several other items lurking in covered chafing dishes piqued his interest and made his mouth water. Who took all the trouble? He loaded his plate and peered around for a free table. Before he could sneak over to the one on the edge of the room with two empty folding chairs, Laura waved over to him from the one where Jean and Scott were holding court. Someone just kill me now…

Summers looked even less enthusiastic about the seating arrangements as suddenly lost interest in a piece of roasted chicken. He gave Logan a stony look until Jean nudged him to get them both something to drink, pleading for a Diet Coke.

“Dad, can we sit here with Rachel?”

“Sure, Punkin, knock yerself out.” When he let his eyes scan the room for another possible table - shoot, someone took those last two damned folding chairs! - Jean intervened. She swept her arm out toward the length of their table and smiled at him.

“Pull up a chair and join us, there’s plenty of room! Make yourself comfortable.” Fat chance. He slid out his chair and hung his jacket over the back of a second chair to reserve it for Laura, who had made herself scarce. He heard Ororo’s low voice murmuring behind him and restrained himself from craning around to watch her. One thought stuck with him: His Royal Highness was her ex. It was consolation enough. Lucas soon undid his efforts.

“Hey, Logan, check out my new video game,” he offered, sidling up to him and nudging his arm, practically shoving his Game Boy at him to peek. Loud, tinny sound effects and a display of digital violence assailed his eyes and ears.

“Looks fun,” Logan mused, lying through his teeth. “Which one is it?”

“Transylvania,” he replied proudly, before he peeked back at the food tables. “What’d you bring?” Logan shrugged lamely.

“Chips and dip. Over on that end.”

“Cool! NATE! They’ve got chips!” He thunked down the Game Boy, and Logan assumed he wanted him to look after it for sakekeeping. Both boys took off to load up their plates with nachos, despite Jean’s injunction for them to eat some real food before the night was out. Scott was taking a surprisingly long time getting drinks. Ororo’s voice was suddenly by his elbow.

“I can take that if you want,” she offered, holding out her hand for the game console. “Lucas’ll be wondering where it went by the end of the night.”

“Sure,” he replied, handing it back to her. He ignored that funny little glow from their fingers touching when he passed it off and cleared his throat. “Might not stay that late tonight. I’ve gotta start my day earlier tomorrow morning to drop Laura off for the field trip.” Better to make his excuses now, he reasoned. It was too hard to have to look at her, knowing how hard it was to not be able to talk to her without and audience. And what a gathering it was…

The big blond showoff in the expensive suit was still hovering over Jean and dancing attendance on her that Summers couldn’t have swallowed too well. The other big showoff in the equally expensive suit was invading Logan’s space.

“Mother was wondering when you were planning to keep her company for dinner, and so was I,” T’Challa drawled casually. “Why don’t you gather up Lucas and tell him to come eat?”

“He’s doing a pretty good job of that himself,” Ororo deadpanned, watching her son probe the contents of one tray with a serving fork before snatching up a huge piece of cold ham. Dang, that boy could eat!

“His grandmother wants the pleasure of his company. And yours, before the night is out.” His fingers were gentle but insistent around her elbow as he attempted to pry her away. Her gaze was frosty as she tore it from Logan and aimed it at Lucas’ father. “I’d like to borrow Ororo from you for a while,” he explained to Logan, but his voice held pride and possession, suggesting that he was the one lending Ororo to him. The corners of Ororo’s mouth turned down mulishly. Logan recognized that look as one that Sil used to give just before she was done being polite…

“I wasn’t ready to be borrowed yet,” she informed him quietly. Too quietly. “I’m going to get a plate.” She jerked her arm from him and headed toward the table. She had her back up, and Logan suppressed a tidy smile at her departure. Her walk was sexy when she was mad…

“I’ll leave you to enjoy your dinner with your family,” T’Challa decided. The message was clear. Mind your own business and back off.

“Likewise, bub,” Logan replied dryly, and he had the satisfaction of watching T’Challa’s eyes narrow for a moment before he turned on his heel.

His mother was already seated at the table closest to the buffet, preening like a guest of honor. Like her son, she was fashionably overdressed and overcoifed, but she was still a handsome woman who commanded a lot of attention. Her own smile dropped a notch when she saw him return without her daughter-in-law.

“She’s certainly taking her time,” Ramonda remarked with a sniff. “Perhaps she’s forgotten her manners after living in this country so long. N’Dare would be appalled.”

“She wouldn’t have pictured this for her grandson,” he considered, but he felt a flare of defensiveness toward his ex-wife, just for a moment.

She was just as proud, haughty and beautiful as ever. And if there was anything T’Challa enjoyed, it was the challenge of pursuit and the inevitable conquest. Her profile was still patrician and her figure hadn’t lost any of its lush firmness after having Lucas. She still moved elegantly, and he remembered how gawky and athletic she’d been as a girl when they’d first met. Her mother made progress with whipping her into shape, but she was damned stubborn.

Jean prodded Ororo gently as she helped herself to a couscous salad and some of the shrimp. “Why didn’t you mention T’Challa was coming?”

“I didn’t think it was worth mentioning.”

“Oh, come on, you, dish! Lucas had to be excited to see his father! It’s been a while since he was stateside,” she cajoled. She peered around the room impatiently as though she were looking for someone.

“That’s the problem. On the one hand, he drives me freaking nuts when he shows up and tries to run my ranch, something he doesn’t have any business doing. On the other hand, I hate it when he leaves Luke waiting on him to visit when he’s busy running a country. He’s so hardheaded,” she griped.

“Pot calling the kettle,” Jean sniffed. Then she scowled. “I asked Scott to bring me a soda a while ago.” She selected a Diet Coke from the trays of cans lined up on the end. “Where did he get off to?”

“Right over there, talking to Ali,” Ororo shrugged. “Try the shrimp, Jean, it’s not bad.” Color flooded Jean’s cheeks.

“What could those two possibly have to talk about? I mean, just look at her! We’re adults now, and she’s a total loose cannon. How can the school let her dress like that?”

“She has tenure. And the kids sure pay attention to her in music class.”

“It’s like trying to ignore a traffic accident.” Meow… Ororo thought. “How can she stand drawing so much attention?” Jean was transparent. Several parents were eyeing the flamboyant teacher and Mr. Summers, well known for having the nicest car when he was volunteer driver. She would have been disappointed if she could hear the conversation they were engaged in.

“Who do you like this season for Fantasy Football?”

“I haven’t entered the pool yet with my bets, but I’ve gotta stand by my Eagles. Just bought myself a lucky shirt to wear on Monday night.”

“You guys and lucky shirts. It’s like football game voodoo. You wear the shirt when you watch it at home, or you jinx your team?”

“It’s an unwritten rule,” he confirmed, and his lips twitched. He changed subjects. “Did you bring anything for the shindig?”

“Bagged salad. That’s the best I do on any day of the week.” Jean had brought a tamale pie casserole that, despite the more elaborate buffet, was being quickly dispatched. “I’m not always home at night, so my oven practically has cobwebs in it.”

“Where do you go?”

“My rented studio. Just kick around.” She didn’t elaborate, and he didn’t ask, even though he wanted to pepper her with questions. More importantly, he wanted to eventually hear her sing. But back to pleasantries. She helped him with her efforts. “Jean looks great. She hasn’t changed a bit. And your kids take after you both.”

“Nope, she hasn’t really changed that much.” His stomach roiled uncomfortably when the words left his mouth. I never really knew her at all. Ali noticed the uneasy set of his brows and shoulders, and she was interrupted when Jean appeared, a civil smile pasted onto her face.

“I was wondering where you were,” she accused him as she threaded her arm through Scott’s, pressing her breast against it.

“I’m right here where you left me,” he beamed goodnaturedly. “Ali, have a good time.”

“You too,” she waved, taking her leave to talk to some of the other parents. Jean’s voice was cold as she tugged him aside, all friendliness gone.

“What were you pulling, Scott?”

“I was being polite and talking to Nate’s teacher. It’s a Meet and Greet, Jean. It doesn’t hurt to get to know the faculty.”

“You already know Ali. Mingle with some of the other ones,” she snapped.

“Warren’s on the school board, honey, so why don’t you take your own advice? We see him often enough. Don’t monopolize his time.” He followed her slowly back to the table, taking his sweet time as he nodded hellos to the soccer parents he recognized from the first practice.

Lucas looked anxious at the dinner table as his grandmother fussed over him. She’d already snatched away his Game Boy, and he was scowling fit to freeze his face that way.

“Sit up straight, and don’t maul your food like a beast,” she nagged, physically prying him up into suitable posture from where he’d been bent over his plate. “You don’t see your father behaving like that, Lucas! Look how you’ve learned to act since your mother dragged you here! And look at that plate,” she tsked, before her eyes softened. “T’Challa, your boy takes after you, he’s got the same hollow leg. And look at how big he’s grown.” She affectionately tweaked his ear and wrapped her arm around his shoulders, and Luke felt a flush of warmth toward her until she pronounced, “We need to do something about this dreadful baseball cap. Take it off, we’re inside.”

Ororo was held captive at the table, since she wanted to maintain good form. Ramonda and her hardheaded son were making that next to impossible. Her clothes were “outrageous,” her business was “unnecessary,” and her son was “underprivileged” living away from his father. Just keep getting up in my face, woman. Ororo forked up some couscous to keep her mouth full to avoid having to talk. Every time T’Challa turned to ask her a question, she nodded around another mouthful, confirming Ramonda’s assumption that Ororo was responsible for her grandson’s ill manners.

Jean was driving him nuts.

“Don’t forget Rachel’s birthday party. Didn’t you get the invitation?” She picked that time to remind him just as Laura and Rachel showed up at the table, both smuggling cookies in folded napkins.

“Pleasepleaseplease, can she come, pleeeeeeeease?” Rachel cried, bouncing up and down on her feet. Laura’s arm was hooked into hers and her face was expectant. He sighed heavily, trying to ignore Summers at the edge of the table, who seemed to wait for his reaction.

“Sure, darlin’,” he replied as he braced himself for the screams.

“YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!” He rocked back in his seat with amusement as they jumped up and down. A rousing tumble of “oh my God’s” and “I can’t waits” ensued while Rachel bragged on and on - much like her mother - about her party. Logan mentally counted his money and planned out the inevitable gift. Then he had a brainstorm: Silver was going to have Laura that week before the party. She could shell out a few bucks for a gift.

And speak of the she-devil…

“I was looking for you, Logan, where the heck did you park?” She looked good, he thought grudgingly, and she smelled expensive. She checked the time on her slim platinum Rolex and chided, “How long have you been here?”

“Long enough. Get yerself a plate before it’s all gone. Vic,” he nodded bluntly.

“Hey,” was the gruff reply. There was no love lost. “Where’s the squirt?” he asked, even though Laura was right that at the table.

“I’m right over here!” she cried, and she launched herself at her mother in a strangling hug. Silver smiled at the top of her head before glaring at her ex. “What did you bring?” He noticed with satisfaction that Laura only gave her stepfather a perfunctory hug.

“We just dropped a dessert off at the table. I’m glad I didn’t bring more, I thought this was a potluck?”

“So did everybody else. Just check the garbage for all the other shit folks brought.”

“God, you’re such a potty mouth,” she snapped, rolling her eyes. “Vic, sit down. I’ll grab us a couple of plates.”

“Still fixin’ cars?” rumbled the blond mountain of a man.

“Yup. Still got the Hummer?” He tried to keep the faint sneer out of his voice.

“Yep. She’s runnin’ pretty sweet,” he bragged. “Just got a new set of rims.” Both men’s eyes followed Silver as she perused the offerings, loading up plates for herself and her second husband. “We’re takin’ Laura this weekend,” he announced. “Hope ya don’t mind.”

“Laura’s the one who might mind. She’s got her heart set on goin’ to a birthday party.”

“There’ll be other parties,” Vic shrugged. “Talk it over with Silver.” He’d passed the buck. Logan wasn’t surprised. Asshole.

“Pullin’ her away from this one’ll be like pulling teeth. Good luck.” Logan didn’t plan on making it easy for either of them. He could suck it up to take his daughter to Jean’s if he had to. He wasn’t in the mood to make anything easier for Sil and Vic. She returned to the table and imperiously nagged him to make room.

“Hello,” Jean offered, rising to shake her hand. Silver looked surprised and took it, measuring her.

“And you are?”

“Jean. Rachel and Nate’s mom. The girls play soccer together.” She peered at Logan as if to seek his support and her smile was almost too bright. Silver released her hand quickly and sat down. “I’m holding Rachel’s birthday party this weekend. We’d love it if she could come.”

“We’ll see. I didn’t want to rearrange my plans. Victor and I had something planned for Laura already.” She glared at Logan silently, not liking his accomplice in his blackmail. Her only comfort was that Logan looked slightly uncomfortable. The redhead was still staring at him through most of the meal. Silver was ensconced close to Vic, leaning against him like a cat. Some man whom she assumed was Jean’s husband was watching the conversation dispassionately as he finished the rest of his chicken.

A rock and a hard place. When the heck would the dinner end?

His plate was conveniently empty, and he saw a brief opportunity open up, spying Ororo moving toward the hallway. He made his excuses to Silver, practically stumbling over her and Vic on his to the trash. He pitched his plate and made a beeline to the cafeteria exit.

She wasn’t at the rest room. He found her staring at the trophy case with her arms folded, looking cross and frustrated.

“You and Luke stayin’ long?”

“That depends on his dad,” she replied. She found the trophy case pretty interesting, if the way she kept avoiding his eyes was any indication. “He came to see him.”

“Guess I got the impression he wanted to see you, too.” She sighed and rubbed her nape. “I didn’t wanna intrude.”

“You weren’t.”

“Couldn’t tell. Felt like I was gettin’ the bum’s rush when he came over.”

“He’s good at making people feel that way. That’s why I’m not with him anymore.”

“Yer not, huh?”

“I haven’t been for some time. Things didn’t work out.” She eyed him askance. “He doesn’t live locally, Logan.”

“Sounds like that’s gonna change pretty soon. I heard the announcement inside a little while ago.” He still felt a flicker of satisfaction. She had him at “Things didn’t work out.”

“That has nothing to do with me. He’ll see Luke more often. That’s all.” Logan didn’t look convinced.

“Ya never know.”

“I was married to him at a young age, and it took several years to get away from him and have my own life. I know him pretty well, Logan.” She was beautiful, this time wearing a striking red sweater and black skirt. “I’d better get back inside. I just needed some air.”

“Ro…wait.” He caught her arm before she could dash off. “Please.” She looked down at his hand, which channeled warmth that pooled all the way down to her toes. Darn him, she thought indignantly. “I know this ain’t the time or the place, but I haven’t had much time t’talk with ya…ya know what I’m tryin’ ta say.” Her blue eyes softened.

“What are you trying to say, Logan?”

“I wanna see ya. I know yer busy, but I wouldn’t mind spendin’ a little more time with you, ‘Ro.” She smiled at the nickname, quickly growing fond of it.

“You’ll see me. You’ve got yard duty this week?” He nodded his assent. “I’ll be taking a shift on Friday. The rest of the week I volunteered to grade papers.” Before he could reply, Laura came running out of the cafeteria, looking for him.

“Dad, let’s have dessert!” she piped up. “Hi, Mrs. Munroe.” She darted off. Ororo chuckled.

“The natives are getting restless.”

“Ya give folks free food, and it’s every man and women fer themselves.” He was smiling behind her as she held open the door to let her enter first. Sure enough, there was a bottleneck of parents attacking chilled mousse and pans of tiramisu. For the rest of the night, he was cornered by Laura’s friends’ parents from her soccer team. Ororo had disappeared.


~0~

On the one hand, he griped to himself, it wasn’t Toys R Us. On the other hand, it was ‘tween girl hell. Everything in the damned store was pink and covered in sparkles, not to mention it all cost as much as real bling. Laura talked him into Limited Too as much for Rachel’s benefit as her own. She drooled over accessories and sweaters while he nearly had a coronary at the price tags, warning her to pick out something small. She had a pink mohair sweater with a mock marabou collar in mind; he nudged her toward the earrings. They gradually settled on a tee shirt with rhinestones that spelled out “Spoiled Rotten.” Logan couldn’t agree more.

Silver was much better at this. She begged off taking Laura shopping for the gift, much to Logan’s frustration, but, he rationalized, he was the one taking her to Jean’s. He took small consolation at fortifying himself with a corn dog at the food court while Laura cajoled him out of his quarters for the arcade.

The next few days were a blur. Field trip. Yard duty. Body work on a sweet Lincoln they were restoring. And no sign of Ororo on Friday. That sucked. It was the only thing he’d looked forward to all week.

He bounced possible scenarios around in his head. She could have been busy at work. She could have picked out a different lunch shift for yard duty. Yeah, that could have happened. Despite the logical conclusions he tried to draw, he kept coming back to the last, worst option. Ororo had stood him up. And that hadn’t even had a date yet!

He was deep in his musings and making his way down the hall when a familiar voice stopped him. The kids were rushing down the hall, and he scolded two boys who nearly barreled into him for running, growling at them to walk. A brisk tap landed on his shoulder.

“Hey, Logan!” Luke greeted him. “Saw you at the playground today.”

“Where are you s’posed t’be, bub?” He rolled his eyes in good humor.

“Study hall,” he shrugged.

“Then what’re ya doin’ here talkin’ t’me?” Luke grinned and held out his hands helplessly.

“Just wanted to say hi. I’m not gonna be at soccer practice today.” Logan’s brow furrowed.

“Why not?”

“Mom’s sick. She can’t take me, and she doesn’t want me to go without her.” Logan felt hot prickles at this revelation. She hadn’t stood him up. And opportunity had just knocked.

“Why don’t we give yer mom a call, Luke. Let’s see if she needs me ta fill in for her.”
Calling Out by Goddessreiko
Playdates and Permission Slips
Chapter 12 : Calling Out


Logan looked at Lucas with the proverbial light bulb in his own head. Finally! After all that crappy karma from last week's pot luck, Logan finally caught a bloody break. Of course he felt awful with Ororo paying the price, but his plan was to absolutely make it up to her.

Lucas watched as Logan thought hard. He could almost see the gears in the older man's head turn. Adults, he thought. Always good for a laugh.

Logan handed Lucas his phone and rubbed his stubbled chin in contemplation. If all went well with his plan he may end up avoiding Jean, Sil, the birthday party, and kids in generally while getting his time with his Roro all to himself. Although he was going to miss his own little booger. And now that he thought about it, Lucas was quite enjoyable too. But they would all be with friends, thanks to his plan, and so would he. He grinned like the Ceshiar cat when Lucas told him that his Mom said it was ok to come over after he took Lucas to soccer practice.

Lucas couldn't believe it! Not only was he going to be able to play today, but he and Nate would be crashing Rachel's party too. Lucas couldn't help but to like Logan more and more. He even insisted that he call him Logan, and not Mr. Howlett, like other people told him to. Nya Nya to all of them. Although he did think it was strange when Assistant Principal Frost told him about that and got really angry about it. It wasn't any of her business. Lucas shrugged off the thought, and asked Logan if he was sure about all of this.

"Whadya mean, am I sure, kid?"

"You don't have to do any of this. I mean taking me to and from practice, dropping me of at Nate's, and taking Mom some medicine. That's alot."

"Aw common. What else are friends for?"

"Dude, how dumb do you think I am, especially for a kid?"

"'Scuse me?"

"You and I both know that you don't want to be my Mom's friend." Lucas now had his own Cheshire grin that left Logan's wanting.

Oooo, Logan thought. Busted by a fourth grader. Lucas then decided to drive his point home by making loud kissy-face noises in the empty echoing hall.

"Alright, alright," Logan said waving his arms about in surrender and will to do just about anything to make him stop.

Lucas loved being right. "But you might have some competition on the way." Logan groaned aloud. "I know noticed that Nate likes to come over alot...alot alot." Logan slapped his forehead and let his hand slide down his face, the last thing he needed was to have a brawl with a child. "Oh, I almost forgot. Dad wants to try again with Mom too."

"What?! Since when?"

"Since he told me last night. Duh!"

Oh dammit all again, Logan thought.

Lucas saw the sad look flash across his face. "You know, my Mom likes the green and yellow tyonal for colds, and really bitter green tea. I think it tastes like chewing on a tree, but she swears by it."

Logan rubbed the kid's head before he ran off to get his practice gear. "You're done at five, right?"

Lucas nodded and headed out. As Logan watched him go, he didn't think a simple trip to CVS would compare to anything that her ex could give her.


~*_*~

Ororo put down her cordless phone after hanging up with her son. Thank goodness for small miracles. Lucas wouldn't come today all wound up and bouncing off the walls with used energy on a day when she really couldn't keep up with him. Today of all days, too. She reached for her bedside tower of boxed tissues, and sneezed into one she almost shredded ripping it out of the box.
own
She absolutely hated this. Stupid ugly bottom feeding shrimp. That harpie knew that she loved shrimp no matter how much they clogged up her sinuses and nasal passages or how puffy they made her throat and face. Oh, Ororo looked at her face her vanity mirror, lets not mention the big red itchy hives either.

Good thing no one, outside of Lucas, was going to see her this way. Not that she staked her reputation on her looks, but damn, Ororo hoped that she wasn't contagious. Sometimes ugly can be airborne. She couldn't help but to giggle at her own off color humor.

She sniffed back to her bed, grabbed her pink "Fight Breast Cancer" Eagles quilt and wrapped it around herself when she went to her business office to catch up on her stores. She did note that she looked like a pink human sized beef taco, but was too warm and cozy to care.

After seeing way to damn messages on her answering machine, she got to business. The first message was from the assistant manager of her Manhattan store.

"Hello, Kitty? This is Ororo."

"Oh hi, Miss. Monroe. I didn't mean to disturb you." Ororo bit her tongue so she wouldn't tell her that she did anyway. "Wow, you sound awful."

"Thanks, Kitten. What's wrong?"

"Oh, right. Sorry. But the winter-line came in today."

"No it couldn't have. That would make it three weeks early."

"Was there a shipping error?"

"No, there couldn't have been. I triple checked those,along with all my managers. Hold on for a second."

While she put the young lady on hold, Ororo checked her invoice records for that store. Then she had a very bad feeling sneak up on her. She quickly listened to some of her other emergency calls she'd miss from her other stores.

All had the same problem.

Her entire winter merchandise, had been sent to her stores long before the date she'd had signed up for them. None of her stores had the room to store any of it, and there was no way she could put her new winter items on the floor so early in the fall season. People were still buying summer clothes.

This was a disaster. She needed space for five stores of merchandise, and she needed it fast. Once she found that, she would kill whoever screwed this up. Well maybe not kill, she thought, but definitely seriously maim them. And it would hurt, alot.

"Kitty," she asked when she picked up the conversation again,"how bad is it?"

"There's roughly about eighty to one hundred boxes in the store. We tried to make a pathway so that customers can walk, but it kinda sucks. Most of the boxed are stacked behind the counter. Let's just say that it's not astecically pleasing. We had alot of shoppers think that we were moving, but most felt kinda uncomfortable. I thought that was ironic since were all about wearable comfy couture, right?"

Forget maiming, someone just got re-upgraded to dead.

Just as she began to mentally list the ways of killing whoever was responsible for this her intercom came on.

"Hello, Stan?"

"Shh, good afternoon Miss Monroe. You still sound very sick."

"It'll go away eventually. Did you call to check up on me again? With all this attention, I'm bound to get better quickly."

"Be still my heart."

Ororo giggled, no matter what kind of day she was having a flirt session from the old man with the young heart always made her feel just a little better. She reminded herself to give his family, the Lee's, all the school fashions as a type of preteen focus group, to see what would work or not.

"Well young lady, if I told you that I called out of concern I would be lying this time. There is a man here to see you. He signed his name as a Mister James Howlett. He just told me you call him Logan. Do you want him to be sent up?"

"Yes please," Ororo knew she sounded like an eager little girl being offered candy. She also knew Stan would tease her mercilessly about him later.


~*_*~

On his way up to Ororo's apartment, Logan got antsy. He shifted the drugstore bag in his hand and wrapped his hand tighter around the flowers he had also stopped to get. He thought that the lilies and white roses with the surrounding tiny ferns reminded him so much of her hair. He couldn't resist. When the doors of the elevator dinged open, he prepared himself for the disappointment of seeing her home filled with expensive flowers from her ex.

When he had his fist up to knock on the door, he heard the paddle of quick footsteps and the door opened in a flourish before he could gather his thoughts.

He looked at the still beautiful woman wrapped up like a baby or a taco and gave her a cute pout.

"Don't look at me like that, silly. I look ridiculous and I feel icky too. And now my vocabulary stinks as well."

Logan snorted. He was glad she still kept her sense of humor. "You know you don't look that bad. Instead of looking like a glamorous supermodel, you kinda look like a glamorous supermodel who was attacked by a kindergarten class of sniveling brats and after a long glorious fight they were finally able to take you down after using biological warfare that all children have. Uncovered sneezes and boogers."

Ororo through her head back and laughed."Thank you, Logan. I really needed that. I had a really crappy day." She let him sit next to her on her white leather couch. The heat from his tightly clad denim thigh made her shiver.

He noticed the shaking and he helped her change her position so that she was laying on her side on his thighs. His hands caressed her back and shoulders over her blanky. Before she could object she had a coughing spell right into his leg.

"I am so sorry."

His deep chuckles reverberated through her. "Don't you dare worry about that. You're allowed, sicky."

"Funny haha." She looked at the flowers next to the plastic bag and smiled at them. "Thank you so much for those. I really needed something nice, and the attention too." She leaned into his caress of her neck. "What's in the bag?"

"Oh I almost forgot. Lucas told me that you liked Tynoyal and green tea. Let me go make you some, and put these flowers in some water. There's some tissues in there too." He reluctantly helped her sit up and tucked her quilt around her more.

Logan made his way into her kitchen and wasn't surprised at all. It was functional, but definitely minimal. No extravagance was wasted here. He remembered the one time he had been over the Summer's, Jean's high taste in life to up residence in her kitchen. Marble counter tops, designer cabinets, the latest high tech refrigerated. It was like Jean was trying to make up for something. He didn't get that vibe here.

Simplicity and comfort. That's what he felt here.

He sat the teapot on the stove and turned it on. He also found a vase in the miscellaneous bottom drawer. "I guess everyone really does have one of those."

When he came back into the living room he was carrying the vase of lilies and a dark blue mug with steaming green tea. She smiled graciously at him, and his heart kicked over. Outside of the things he did for Laura, this was the only other time he felt truly appreciated.

"Did you want some tea too," Ororo asked as she sipped her mug.

"Oh no, Darlin', I got more than enough of that stuff when I lived in Japan."

"What? You lived in Japan, ooo where?"

Before he could answer, the phone rang. Ororo looked at the caller ID and saw that it was her son. She pouted at Logan, then picked up the phone. After the brief conversation, she told Logan that Lucas would be running late and that the third and fourth grade classes would be going to Washington DC for a feild trip in a couple of weeks.

"You know, I remember Laura saying something about that." Logan shook his head realizing that was more money not in his wallet.

"This tea is so good. So you were about to tell me more about your life in Japan."

Logan rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably. "I spent some time in the military. I was all over the place. Japan was one my favorite places to go."

"Really? Which branch were you in?"

Logan took his time answering, and was glad when the phone rang again.

Ororo glared at her phone and answered it with a brisk and curt, "Hello."

"Hey, Ororo, it's me Jean."

"Hi, Jean," Ororo said with very little enthusiasm.

"Wow, you sound really sick."

"So, I've been told."

"Is something else wrong? You seem agitated."

Ororo went into the story of her merchandise. Logan listened carefully with a furrowed brow. There was something fishy about the whole episode.

Jean listened as well, and was sympathetic. Wanting Ororo in a much better mood, she changed the subject to Rachel's party.

"Oh crap," Ororo said. "That's today! Good thing I already got her gift."

"She is really looking forward to seeing you. She's hoping for a sewing lesson soon."

"I can't guarantee that I'll be there unless this medicine kicks in."

"Alright then, at least try. Oh and Laura is waving hi at you." Jean paused, and then added stiffly, "she seems quite taken with you."

Ororo blushed, and was very thankful that her friend couldn't see it. "Yes, well we've ran into each other a bit lately. She's a fun little girl." Ororo looked at Logan beaming with pride. "I think she gets her more amiable qualities from her father." She didn't quite understand Jean's unbelieving snort.

"Try and make it around five. Dinner is at six and there should be some parting going on still. Hopefully by then Scott will come home and I can get a break from these hyped up kiddies."

After their good byes, Ororo hung up and plopped back down into Logan's lap. "Ugg,I need a break."

"So, do you really think that you're gonna be able to make it to Rachel's party?"

"I hope so. I didn't want to say so over the phone, but my gift to Rachel was a child's sewing machine. I thought she'd get a kick out of it."

Logan and Ororo shared another laugh. This time she sat up and a little closer to him. Logan slipped his hands behind her head and on her back to bring her closer. Ororo knew that her eyes must have been the size of flying saucers. Logan didn't mind at all, after all his favorite color was blue. His one hand fell through her unbrushed hair and brought her forehead close to his lips where he planted a soft petal like kiss to it. With her hair tickling his nose, he inhaled and couldn't think beyond the coconut smell. Ororo suddenly felt ugly and awkward in her Zelda tee shirt and her blue and orange sushi print pajama pants. She felt Logan's thick digits pull away her quilt and roam her arms and her waist. His mouth was still on her head, and it curved upwards when he looked down at her top.

"Are...are you laughing at me," she asked slightly miffed.

"No," he mumbled into her hair. "I just didn't take you for a gamer. No wonder where Lucas gets it from."

Ororo exhaled the breath she'd been holding. "For a minute there I thought you were going to kiss me."

"I was Roro."

She opened her mouth to question yet another nickname, then remembered he said *was*. "What stopped you?"

He leaned into her again, this time palming her entire waist with his warm hands and his hard arms. With his mouth and nose still where there were he replied, "I don't know if you're contagious." This time he let her see his grin.

She punched him in the arm hard, then giggled right along with him.

She really should have seen it coming. It's guaranteed. Every time something goes right, or she's having a good time her Fun-o-meter goes off. That's when something crappy is bound to happen. So it was no surprise to her when there was a knock on her door. Ororo reminded herself to have a talk to Stan to make sure he buzzed her for *all* of her guests. Before she unlocked her door to open it, she thought about how Stan always did his job well. He never let anyone up by themselves. Except for police officers. Knowing that she wasn't in trouble, didn't stop the sinking feeling she got. Someone else must have bullied Stan into letting them inside.

Ororo put on her most expressionless face, mussed up her hair even more and opened the door while picking her wedgie. "Hello, Tchalla."

~*_*~


Scott looked at the world clock on his office wall. 3:33. He dialed his secretary. "Monet, could you please tell Charles that I'm headed out now. I reminded him earlier about my daughter's party."

"Sure, Mister Summers. Would you like for me to call Jean to tell her you're on your way?"

"No no no." He realized that he had just about interrupted her. "I have one more important thing to do."

He had all but slid down the stairs and out to the parking garage. The Benz was found by instict. Once safely inside the car, he took out his personal cell phone and inhaled slowly before dialing the number he had memorized. Scott thought about what he was going to do very carefully. There was nothing wrong with it. The nagging feeling that he had to justify it was the mental ass kicker.

But no, he refused to dwell on it any more. Ali was a friend. A good friend.

The phone rang, and rang, and rang. When he was about to close his phone he heard a husky voice answer.

“Scott?”

“Hey Alison. I...uh, didn't think you were there.”

She couldn't help it. This dork made her giggle. And she hated doing that, it made her feel young and stupid all over again. She didn't need that. Then why was she waiting with anticipation at his voice. “What can I say Scott? I screen my calls.”

“Oh. Well then, I feel lucky.” Scott grinned hoping that she could feel the lightened mood he was in. “I was wondering, since Rachel loves your class, if you would mine coming to her birthday party? You don't need to worry about bringing anything, and I'm headed out your way now. I can give you a ride,” he added sounded enthusiastic and just a little eager.

Allison thought about it. Rachel seemed to take after her father, and Ali adored that. She also remembered Jean's icy greeting. She was no threat to her. Jean always got whatever she wanted. If she really wanted her husband's attention, then by God she had it. There was nothing Alison could do to get in the way of that.

Not even confess her developing crush.

“What time will you be here?”

“I'm a block away, and there isn't much traffic.” Scott knew that even if there was traffic he would have jumped out and ran. He rubbed his temples. Alison was just a friend. Ok ok, a friend he really liked spending time with, and who made him laugh, and who... His thoughts began to scare him. He loved his wife. He liked his friend.

That's what he kept chanting in his head as he got closer to his destination.


~*_*~

Ororo stood in the threshold of her door blocking her ex-husband from entering. To drive home her point of his unwanted company, she sneezed then coughed directly in front of him. Of course she covered her mouth, but his expression of disgust told her that she hit the nail on the head.

“Ew, gross, woman. What the hell is wrong with you?”

Logan heard T'Challa and decided to make his presence known. He stood up casually walked toward the door and leaned on it. T'Challa lost his controlled expression briefly. Logan liked that, a lot. He placed worn hands around Ororo's shoulders and let her back to the couch to sit down.

T'Challa reluctantly followed them and realized that this was the first time that he'd been in this home. There where bits of Ororo and Lucas's things everywhere. For the second time since he had shown up, he found himself at a lost. “Ororo, I didn't know you were ill. Was it the shrimp, again?” She looked up and glared at him. He laughed softly and sat down across from his ex and Logan, who had sat down next to her almost protectively.

Logan looked at Ororo who had her eyes squeezed shut and her head back and at T'Challa who was ruefully shaking his head. “Are you allergic to shrimp? Why on earth would you eat it?”

T'Challa didn't wait for Ororo to answerer, “The shrimp makes her allergies bad, and she eats them, well, because she can't resist.” He put emphasis on the last three words he said to make sure that everyone caught his double meaning.

If Ororo could have rolled her eyes without making her brain hurt even more, she would have done so right in his face. “If you knew that the shrimp would have bothered me, why didn't you say anything?”

“Would you have listened to me,” T'Challa asked back.

Even Logan smiled at that. He found stubborn women painfully attractive. A quick flash of Ororo at their first meeting flew threw his mind. He leaned in to tuck a loose soft lock of white behind her ear, and she gifted him with a smile. Both ignored T'Challa and his expression.

T'Challa looked for anything to break the mood, then it hit him. “So, Ororo how is that delightful business of yours?”

She opened her mouth to go on her tirade, then closed it immediately. T'Challa had never ever shown any interest in anything she did outside of raising Lucas. She seriously doubted his sincerity. She wondered about the timing as well.

Once again, before she had the chance to speak, the phone rand.

“That's it,” she cried. “I'm going to burn that thing,” she yelled at the phone when she went to grab it. “Hello,” she said out of breath and pissed.

“Ro, it's Jean.”

“Oh, how's the party so far?”

“You have to come quick, you're not going to believe who Scott just showed up with.”

After doing what she could to calm her friend down on the phone she excused herself to get dress. She was mad enough at just about everyone to bring a machete. The only adult not on her shit list right now was Logan. That thought warmed her up in places that hadn't ever been warm before.

Meanwhile downstairs the staring contest between both men finally came to an abrupt halt when Logan excused himself to grab a beer. He was glad fate introduced him to a woman who enjoyed the beverage as much as he.

While Logan was in the kitchen, T'Challa picked up the phone and dialed *69, and sighed in relief when Jean answered the phone. He knew the red head had always been in his corner when he and Ororo were happy together.

“Ro?”

“No, it's me her hus...T'Challa.”

“Oh, I didn't know you were there. I'm glad someone is there to take care of her.”

“Oh no Jean. It's not me. Someone beat me to it.”

“What?! Who? It doesn't matter? I take it she's giving you a hard time. Why don't you come to the party, and smooth things over?”

T'Challa grinned showing perfect teeth. He didn't even have to ask.

Logan heard T'Challa's half of the conversation, and quietly made his way up the stairs to check on Ororo. He found her door and knocked softly. “Roro, you ok?”

She opened the door in the most average thing he'd seen her wear yet. Skinny jeans and a Led Zepplin fitted tee. He still couldn't take his eyes off of her.

“Logan, do you mind coming with me? I may need someone to hold me back from committing several felonies.”

The last thing Logan felt was an obligation. In fact, he knew he that at least he was going to be highly entertained at Rachel's party.
Goodie Bags by OriginalCeenote
“Ya sure ya wanna walk in those?”

“I feel naked without a decent pair of shoes,” she griped, then regretted her words. Naked…geez. Open mouth, insert foot. The thought would have been more appealing without the blotchy hives as big as Rorschach test ink blots all over her skin. Makeup was out of the question, except for a perfunctory slash of her mocha lipstick.

She was bundled up in a black leather biker jacket with buckles and zippers. Logan liked what she managed to do with her hair despite practically galloping out of her apartment and shooing whatshishead out the front door. A sedate braid hung down her back, showing off slender neck. She reached up to scratch restlessly at a hive until he gently reached up to make her stop. She looked at him with a mixture of frustration and embarrassment. She tugged a large, wheeled black suitcase behind her by the handle.

“Sorry. Can’t help it. I’m a mess.”

“Ya didn’t hafta go to all this trouble, kiddo. Shoulda crawled back under the covers; I coulda brought Luke home.”

“You’ve already gone out of your way.” The elevator dinged when it hit the lobby and slid open. “Thanks for the tea,” she murmured. “And the flowers. I loved them.” A warm flush crept into his spine.

“Any time.”

“Let’s crash this party,” she sighed, preceding him toward the door. Stan was already grinning ear to ear through the glass as he held it open for her and nodded a greeting.

“You let her escape! You were supposed to lock her in her apartment,” he scolded Logan. “You did a number on yourself, young lady!”

“Lucas is at a friend’s party. I wanted to chaperone him and make sure he’s on his best behavior.”

“Ahhhh. He’ll be fine. He’s a scamp, but he’s your son, kiddo,” he winked, and she couldn’t help smiling back. “You’ll put the fear of God into him!” That made her laugh. Then he added, “Was that his dad who came in here and left a few minutes ago?”

“In the flesh, the one and only.” Again she regretted how she phrased that, feeling Logan stiffen almost imperceptibly beside her. “Luke wasn’t here, so he wasn’t going to stay,” she amended. “He’s a busy man.”

“Pot calling the kettle, Ms. Munroe,” Stan remarked, tapping his nose with his index finger. “I’ve gotten used to you kicking up a trail of dust on your way out every day. The only time you’ll catch this one at home is if she gets sick. And you should be in bed!” he nagged.

“I ain’t gonna argue that with ya,” Logan muttered with a shrug. “Short of slathering her in Vicks and duct-taping her to the sheets, there ain’t much keepin’ her from doin’ what she wants!” She elbowed him sharply and snorted in disgust. “That was my mom’s home remedy.”

“I’ll stick with green tea.”

“Want me to call your driver? Is that him over there?” He pointed to the black limo waiting across the street.

“No. That’s T’Challa’s hired car. I’ll be heading out with Logan. Have a good night,” she beckoned as she threaded her hand through the crook of Logan’s arm. He allowed himself to be tugged along as he nodded a goodbye. Her kitten-heeled pumps clip-clopped along the pavement.

“I’ll be waiting with baited breath, young lady!”

“Got yer own watchdog.”

“His bark is as bad as his bite. Gotta love Stan. He’s been here for as long as I have.”

“Can’t say I’ve lived anywhere that someone opened my door every day.”

“There’s different ways to open doors,” she mused. “I had to start my own business.”

“Bet ‘cher a workaholic.”

“You could ante up and sweeten the pot with that bet. I don’t get sick. I can’t get sick. Right now my shops look like the wreck of the Hesperus.”

“Yeah?”

“Yup. Someone fudged my orders and shipped my winter line too soon. You know what it’s like at Walmart when you go at five AM the day after Thanksgiving to get the special bargains? How they jam-cram so many cases and racks of things in the aisle that you can’t move?”

“Ugh,” he agreed, even though he was thinking You shop at Wal-Mart?

“When I get back into the office, heads will roll.” Then, catching his wry look, she confirmed, “Yeah, I shop at Wal-Mart. So sue me. They carry my conditioner.” His chuckle was resonant and seemed to stroke her. “I like your laugh.”

“Ditto. Maybe we’ll both get a few at Jeannie’s shindig.” He unlocked her side of his Escort when he reached it, thankful that his meter hadn’t expired during his visit. Logan didn’t trust parking garages after dark. “Still think ya shoulda stayed home.”

“Jean’s having a crisis.” Logan wanted to ask what else was new. He bit his tongue.

“Good enough.” He turned on the radio and was about to tune it to his favorite classic rock station until he realized she might want dibs. “Help yerself, darlin’.”

“Got any CDs?”

“Just Laura’s, and I know ya don’t wanna listen ta Kids Bop, the Cheetah Girls, or Aaron Carter the whole ride over there.” He’d left his favorites at work in the shop.

“Right. I’ll just be turning on the radio,” she deadpanned. He was impressed when she rolled the tuning knob to a classic rock station.

When they reached Jean’s house, the front yard was visible for three blocks, decorated in white icicle lights. Pink lanterns dangled from the front porch, and the basketball hoop in the driveway was festooned with pink balloons and streamers. A huge banner that read “Happy Birthday, Rachel!” was plastered across the garage.

“Did they think we’d miss it?” she muttered.

“Ya can see it from Mars.” They trekked inside, with Logan dutifully hauling the suitcase inside after nagging her that he could do it, fer cryin’ out loud. Added bonus: Watching that shapely apple bottom swaying up the porch steps to ring the bell, shrink-wrapped in faded jeans. Her face scrunched up for a moment, and she fanned the air as though she were swatting a fly before releasing a sputtery sneeze. “Damn, darlin’!”

“Urrrrrrghh…Ah habe dis,” she replied, her lips muffled by a wad of tissue she yanked from her jacket pocket. Sinuses sucked. He pried open the door without knocking, taking the commotion and squealing inside as an invitation.

Jean was already in fine form. She was wearing a snug emerald green sweater paired with jeans like Ororo’s, but soft black loafers shod her feet. Jean was never barefoot in her own home, but Ororo spied a long row of children’s shoes neatly lined up in the foyer. She didn’t trust the sneaker soles of anyone under the age of 25 on her cream Berber carpeting.

She snatched her away from Logan before even greeting them hello. “Glad you could make it! Just set that down, Logan, Scott will get it.”

“Great,” he snarled under his breath. The kids were holding court and wreaking havoc in the family room, while the adults were tucked into overstuffed couches in the formal den. Sure enough, Scott wandered over and nodded to the suitcase.

“What’s in it?”

“Ro’s gift.”

“What the heck did she get?” He accepted his attempt to make small talk with good grace; Logan knew he was as welcome as a fart in church. Scott had looked relieved earlier when he’d shown up to merely drop Laura and Lucas off that afternoon and left before Jean could offer him a drink.

“I’m sworn to secrecy.”

“Yeah. Bet you’re good at that.” Scott lugged the suitcase toward the tower of presents. The whole house had been machine-gunned in bubble gum pink. Cake, plates, utensils, more streamers and balloons, most of her gifts, half the food, most of which looked skimpy enough to barely fill his hollow tooth, and the row of neatly lined up goodie bags. A custom-made pink piñata hung outside, half as tall as Logan and shaped like Patrick from Spongebob. Scott already had the cover pulled over the pool for the coming winter; Rachel had pouted about not being able to hold a pool party after all, but consoled herself by begging him for the Dance Dance Revolution game.

Ororo was watching twelve elementary schoolers bust a move and nearly going deaf from the screams of laughter. Her ears were already stuffed up enough… damned shrimp.

“Wish I could have helped you set up,” Ororo mused apologetically, peering at the pink plastic drink cups that Jean was scooping up and moving to a tray. Ever the meticulous hostess, she’d already Sharpie-penned everyone’s name on each one.

“You’re sick, so you’re excused.”

“So dish. You sounded like there was a 911 up in here when you called.”

“Go look in the den,” Jean hissed. She was lurking by Ororo’s elbow as she tugged her to the edge of the room to peer around the corner.

Ali was sitting on the edge of the loveseat, chatting with a couple of the parents. She felt their eyes on her, and she waved and smiled at Ororo. She nodded back and prepared to greet her properly before Jean tugged on her sleeve.

“Go ahead and hang that up. I can’t believe she’s here!”

“Maybe Rachel invited her.”

“Please,” Jean tsked. “She would have told me! It’s not like I just randomly invite my kids’ teachers to their parties. It looks like I’m trying to suck up!”

“Rachel and Nate like Ali. So does Lucas. She’s a great music teacher.” Ororo obediently hung her jacket on the coat rack in the hall. Jean huffed at her attire.

“Led Zeppelin?”

“It’s vintage,” Ororo reasoned.

“I just don’t know why she’s here. She brought a nice-looking package for her, though.”

“Cool. You’ll love what I bought,” Ororo promised soothingly. She helped herself to a 7-Up; her stomach wasn’t ready for food yet, and Jean never kept green tea.

“I know I will,” Jean smiled. “Take a load off. I’m going to find Scott.”

“Think I’ll find Logan,” she murmured under her breath.

He was in the family room, where Laura and Rachel were talking his ears off. Nate was taking his turn on the dance mat while Lucas was hovering nearby with his Nintendo handheld.

“Dad, have you seen Rachel’s presents, and her piñata? Oh, Dad, I want a cake like that for MY birthday, and I want that sweater we saw at Limited Too, and Rachel has the COOLEST Hello Kitty bag ““

“Can I come over next weekend, Mr. Howlett? I wanna bring my Dance Dance Revolution over, because I’m really good at it, and Laura doesn’t have one! And I want her to come to my gymnastics recital, too! Please say she’ll come!” Neither girl seemed to need to take a breath as they peppered him mercilessly. He loved it.

Daughters were hysterical.

Lucas looked up from his Nintendo long enough to spy his mother in the doorway. “Mom,” he piped up, “you’re here!”

“In the flesh. More or less,” she smiled weakly before rubbing his coarse curls. Logan patted the cushion beside him on the wraparound sofa. She settled back and warmed his side, tickling his nose with the fragrance of her hair. Damn, the woman smelled good.

“Do you wanna play?” Nate offered hopefully as he stepped off the mat. She stifled a laugh.

“C’mon, Mom, you like this game!” Logan raised one sexy, shaggy brow. She elbowed him again. He elbowed her back before turning and tugging her from her comfortable perch.

“Ohhh, no,” she warned. Logan’s large hands were already leading her toward the mat. Nate scowled at him manhandling his dream girl until Logan nodded to him.

“Set it up an’ let her rip!” She was outmatched. He relieved her of her soda and took a sip before he remembered about her “germs.”

“You’re next,” she snarled under her breath. Laura’s eyes lit up.

“Yeah! Daddy’s next!” Rachel ran from the room. “DAD! Ms. Munroe’s doing it! She’s gonna dance next!” Ororo made a noise of disgust before the game began on the fastest setting, flashing “GO!” Arrows flashed onscreen, and she struggled valiantly to follow the figure getting jiggy on the Summers’ plasma TV.

Logan was having the time of his life. The woman could shake a tail feather, and his grin was smug and appreciative until Scott showed up. His voice was amused.

“Go, ‘RO!” The kids were making a ruckus as Scott egged her on. When she was finished, her cheeks were pink, and she was slightly out of breath. He flashed a thousand-watt grin and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, jostling her. Logan felt a growl of protest rising in his throat as Scott reached out to tickle her slender waist. She giggled and sputtered at him to quit it.

“Leggo!” Yeah, punk, leggo…

“Nice moves, babe!”

“Jealous?” Her eyes twinkled knowingly at him before he kissed her temple.

“Sure am.” He released her and turned at the sound of Jean’s voice in the doorway. Her expression mirrored Logan’s, confusion and annoyance etched across her features.

“Come on out and fix the piñata,” she snapped.

The next hour was a sugarcoated, noisy blur. The piñata was lying in tatters on the patio as the kids munched their winnings. Abandoned cake plates littered the tablecloth; Ororo helped scoop them into a Glad bag just as Ali sidled up.

“Nice shindig you put together, Jean,” she chirped, falling in and collecting soda cans and empty cups. Her face was slightly flushed, and her already tousled haircut was even more frazzled and loose.

“Thanks,” Jean replied hollowly as she carried the stack of gifts into the den.

“Where were you?”

“Showing the kids how it’s supposed to be done on that game. Scott says I’ve got mad moves.” Ororo’s chest shook with mirth. She tweaked up a dab of frosting from the cake tray and pushed it between her lips. Logan was just rounding the corner as he saw her lap the remnant of pink cream from her finger, sucking it dry. He nearly dropped her abandoned Coke.That mouth…

Jean came back to make a second trip, shooting the back of Ali’s head a sour look until the doorbell rang. She arranged her face into more agreeable lines and dashed off to answer it.

“Who’s showing up now?” Ali murmured, checking her watch. Before Ororo could answer, a familiar and unwelcome baritone made its way down the hall, accompanied by Jean’s laughter.

“Look who showed up!” she cheered, hefting an enormous gift box and grinning around it. “Ororo, grab T’Challa a piece of cake real quick while I take this into the den.”

Must. Stop. Fist. Of. Death. Ororo planted her hands on her hips in an effort to behave herself. Logan’s lips were clamped in a thin line. Ororo’s ex was still oozing charm and old money and looking like the only cake he wanted to eat was dressed in a snug tee and jeans, despite his comments earlier in her apartment. Smug fucker…

“I hope I didn’t miss anything,” he purred smoothly. How can I miss you if you won’t go away? “Where is Lucas?”

“Playing with his friends.”

“Don’t worry about taking him home. I’d like to take him with me for the weekend.” Indignance stiffened her spine.

“Perhaps you should ask Luke,” she suggested, mutinously hoping her son would say no. Jean overheard and chimed in her two cents.

“Oh, wouldn’t that be nice, Ororo? Bless your heart, T’Challa, Lucas would probably love to spend time with his dad! And now you can get some rest and some time to yourself. Or someone to wait on you hand and foot, better yet,” she added smugly. “That what I have Scott for!” T’Challa was enjoying himself, if the Colgate commercial smile was any indication.

“I never asked anyone to wait on me hand and foot.”

“You never gave it a chance,” he shrugged, taking the proffered slice of cake from Jean when Ororo didn’t budge. “Lucas deserves those privileges, even if they aren’t to your liking.” His tone suggested that his son had been sorely deprived.

“And like me, he also deserves to make up his own mind.”

“N’Dare loved you and wanted the best for you. You could follow her example.” He nodded to Jean, explaining “I was very fond of Lucas’ other grandmother while she was alive.” Jean melted in the face of such charm; Ororo’s hands itched.

T’Challa and Logan silently sized each other up. T’Challa took aim first.

“You needn’t have gone through the trouble. I could have brought Ororo and my son here.”

“Wasn’t any trouble. My daughter’s here tonight.”

“Now you can take her straight home without the extra trip.” Lucas appeared in the dining room as though he heard his name called and dutifully hugged his father hello.

“Are you taking me home?” he inquired. The night’s festivities took their toll. He was riding a sugar low and he almost looked ready for bed.

“Your father would like you to spend the weekend with him. SO he’s taking you to his home,” Ororo clarified. She turned to Logan. “Were you still going to be able to bring me home? Is it out of your way?” His face softened.

“Nope.” It sure as heck wasn’t. Take that, T’Challa. Jean interjected again.

“Don’t be silly, Ororo, make it one trip, do all!” She hadn’t missed the gleam in Logan’s eye when Ororo asked for her favor. She was slightly distracted from her campaign by Warren’s appearance in the hallway, greeting T’Challa with a brief hello and clap on the back.

Rachel and Laura also had other plans. “Mommy, can Laura sleep over?”

“She sure can, pumpkin!” Scott ruffled his daughter’s red hair. His eyes pinned Jean warily as he side-stepped Warren and helped himself to one of the last sodas on the counter.

“Well, there we go,” Ororo murmured.

“One trip, do all,” Logan drawled. He resumed his staring contest with T’Challa until Jean cleared her throat.

“Time for presents!”

Rachel opened each one with the prerequisite screaming while Jean wrote out thank-you card envelopes. Ororo hauled the sewing machine from the case. Rachel squealed and clapped.

“I LOVE it! Thank you, Ms. Munroe!” T’Challa frowned at the use of her maiden name.

“That might make a nice hobby,” he mused. She wanted to smack him. “T’Challa’s present was last. Rachel’s eyes widened as she tore off the paper.

“Who’s THIS from?” she demanded as she stroked the curly pink lettering on the box.

“Lucas’ dad,” Jean declared proudly. Scott frowned as the wrapping fell away to reveal a Barbie mansion, unassembled and ostentatiously expensive.

“You didn’t have to go to so much trouble,” he remarked. “We asked you to come at the last minute.” Of course, that wasn’t completely accurate. Jean ran roughshod over the guest list, with the exception of Ali. That thought soothed him as he sipped his drink. He glanced over at her, leaning on the arm of the couch. She caught his eye and beamed. Her hair was tame for a change, curled in a smooth bob with a bang wrap, pinned in place by a butterfly clip. She had on a gauzy white peasant blouse and faded jeans, and despite her myriad tattoos, she looked like the girl next door.

“Nonsense,” he boasted. “Enjoy it,” he told Rachel. She watched him with curious eyes, but she turned back to the dollhouse, completely distracted. Ali caught Scott’s sigh of annoyance and the tense set of his shoulders.

The goodbyes at the front door lingered as Jean made sure each child had a goodie bag and that every parent was thanked. Scott’s expression lapsed from one of politeness to bland frustration when she held Warren’s hand too long and when he air-kissed her goodnight. He sensed another restless night ahead of him. The sofa bed in the family room beckoned to him. He was tired.

A honey-smooth also murmured his name, right by his elbow. “I had a nice time, Scott.” His expression relaxed.

“Thanks for coming, Alison,” he replied softly. They gazed at each other a moment too long. It was on the tip of his tongue to offer a walk to her car, but it was already parked in the driveway.

“Drive safely, Ali,” Jean trilled, patting her arm, and Ali took that as her cue.

“Good night, Rachel!” she called out. Rachel gave her teacher an enthusiastic wave. She waved to Scott and disappeared before she could see his smile fade.

T’Challa’s goodbyes to his hosts were effusive and charming. Ororo felt he overstayed his welcome, even though he’d arrived last.

She was bundled into Logan’s Escort before either of them spoke again.

“Luke’s gonna be tall. Between the two of ya, he’s gonna gain another foot.”

“Mmmmm,” she agreed. “He takes after T’Challa. He’ll be striking like him, I think.”

“He has yer smile. But he’s gonna be big.” Ororo looked amused.

“I never had a specific preference for tall men,” she pointed out. “That wasn’t what attracted me to my husband, back in the day.” She wanted to mention that it was her mother that “attracted her to him,” with extreme duress.

“No?”

“Nope.” She smiled wickedly. “Apparently I can’t resist shrimp.”

“Hey!”

“I didn’t say it first.”

“Ya didn’t hafta repeat it, woman!” That broke the ice. Each time one of them would look at the other, they’d both chuckle again.

They made it upstairs to her apartment. Stan was already off-duty. Logan waited for her to unlock her door. She stared at him expectantly.

“I might try your Vicks remedy, minus the duct tape.”

“Ya sure, darlin’?” His mouth curled in a smirk that was two sexy for her own good.

“Whatever fixed me up the quickest.”

“‘Ro?”

“Yes?”

“All ya have are allergies, right?”

“Yup.”

“So technically, ya don’t really have germs, right?” It dawned on her where he was going, and he confirmed it when his arms coiled around her waist. Her hands smoothed over his chest, exploring warm, firm muscle.

“Guess not.” His lips were almost close enough to taste.

“Then I’m gonna pick up where I left off.” He cupped her jaw and gently captured her lips, brushing his mouth over hers. The kiss was slow and thorough, making her tingle. He swallowed her low moan and rejoiced as her arms wound around his neck.

They were just getting to the good part when Ororo heard the rattle of her neighbor Mr. Wein’s door across the hall. Her entire body had cleaved to Logan’s, and a telltale bulge materialized, straining toward her heat and pressing into her softness.

“Hi, Len,” she blurted as they jumped apart like guilty teenagers.

“Hey there, young lady!” He strolled away and the mood was broken.

“Get some rest, darlin’,” Logan rumbled. He tickled her fingers until they curled around his.

“I’ve got a date with some Tylenol and my pajamas,” she sighed. She knew he was remembering them, too.

“Save a date for me, while yer at it.” His tone was hopeful.

“I’m gonna be swamped this week,” she admitted. “But don’t let that keep you from giving me a ring.” She vaguely recalled him checking his voice mail a couple of times at the bowling alley, and she wondered who had his cell number besides her.

“G’night.” He stole one more kiss that succeeded in turning her into a puddle.

“G’night.” She felt weightless when she walked inside.

She checked her voice mail. Two more calls from Kitty. Both frantic. Great.

On Monday, it was time to bust some heads.


~0~


Logan’s ears must have been burning while Ororo was ruminating in bed; he checked his mobile as soon as he walked into his apartment. Alone, he grumbled. Damn it…

Two calls from Sil. She never called his cell…but it could still wait ‘til morning. He scrolled through the rest. So far, so good. No calls from Jean, obviously, since she’d already laid eyes on him and worked his nerve.

One unviewed message caught his eye. Emma Frost. What the flamin’ heck did SHE want?

The subject line read “Meeting.” He bet that it wasn’t a parent-teacher conference…
Positive Reinforcement by Goddessreiko
Ororo rubbed at her still swollen and still annoying red nose as she reread all of her invoices and package slips. It still didn't make any sense.

“Kitten, is this everything?”

“Yes, Ms. Monroe,” the young girl said, sounding like she too was at her wits end.

Ororo bent back down and sorted through them again. It appeared that all of her imported merchandise decided to come stateside early because the warehouse it was housed in got bought out and shut down. After reading some of the fine print, she trekked down the former headquarters of the warehousing company.

After three hours of playing phone tag across the bloody planet, she found out that the company was bought and moved out of China, citing that real estate and gentrification had caused them to loose profits, to...

Drum roll please.

Ororo flipped the last invoice over to read the overlooked tiny print. Storage Worldwide was now located in Wakanda, and was now owned and operated by the Wakandan Royal Family. The rest of the logo outside of the Royal crest read, “Giving back is now back in business.”

Ororo calmly asked Kitty to leave, and quietly closed the door behind her. Kitty left the office with a worried glance back at her boss. She tried, along with the rest of the skeleton crew, to make do with the lack of space they had.

All send oddly quiet until Ororo could be heard screaming at the top of her lungs, “RRRRAAAAMOOONDAAAAAA!!!”

~*_*~

Logan inhaled as he stood outside the office of one Emma P. Frost. He turned around ready to jump in his Escort and run away. Something about this woman screamed, “Run Away!” Logan couldn't remember why he ever started fucking this woman in the first place.

Oh right, she was hot.

Logan frowned. He needed to think happy thoughts. First thing that came to mind was...Ororo Just when did that happen? Thoughts of Ororo's school girl smile, and her warm surprisingly soft tummy floated in front of him. Ah, that's when that happened.

Emma didn't stand a chance. Too bad no one sent her the memo about that. Logan turned the handle to her door. In about two minutes it was gonna suck to be her, and not in a good way.

The blond terror had her mile high stilettoed feet up on her desk as she angled her chair to play around lazily on her computer. She casually raised a brow up at him as he cautiously entered her domain.

“Look, this better be real damn good. I have shit I need to do.” He wanted to add, “shit that doesn't include you,” but he refrained.

She glared at his cuss and simply raised her chin at him. “My my my, have we been busy lately. What has it been, three weeks?”

Logan just rolled his eyes. If it hadn't been his random and soothing time with Ororo, he would have never known how much time he spent being at the beck and call of these women. Sure while he was being an ignorant prick about everything it was fun and more than pleasurable, but now...now it felt wrong in so many ways. “I've been around.”

“Mmm,” she said. “Hold on for a second please.” Emma picked up the phone sitting on her desk and spoke a few words in it, then it looked to Logan like she transferred it.

“If this isn't about Laura's school'in than I don't have no business here.”

“If you insist on being difficult about this, Logan, then yes, this is about Laura's education.”

He glared at her. Never in all his military years had he ever allowed his drive to get what he wanted to become a weakness. Here and now, this woman seized him by his balls and held his daughter captive. There wasn't anything he could do about it. If he didn't do this then his Laura would pay. If there was anything Logan hated, it was feeling helpless. There had to be some way that he didn't have to do this (her.)

That's when he heard it. The shifting of material and a small cough. There was something feminine and disturbingly familiar about it.

“Who the fuck is that on the phone? Just what are you planning?”

Emma looked shocked, then had the grace of an “oh shit” while she scrambled for the phone.

Logan didn't even wait for an explanation. He turned right on his heels and walked out.

“Logan! LOGAN! Where are you going? If you think this is over, you are so wro- - -,” the door slammed off her upcoming insult.

Even though Logan was no expert on the law, he knew someone that was, and he was prepared to beg, grovel, and plead to make sure that the man would hear him out.

~*_*~

Ali dipped the cloth back into the wax-n-shine to further continue scrubbing the brass instruments. Usually this was a chore that she didn't have to bother with because misbehaving kids would be stuck doing it. Lately no one has been in trouble. Her new producer didn't believe why she would be late this time. Making French horns and trombones shine and tuning violins and pianos apparently shouldn't be a priority to her. She warned her label that she'd change, but they didn't believe her. Ali told them she would be late, but as of right now, she was looking for any excuse not to go.

“Excuse me, Ms. Blaire?” Ali looked at the P.A. Box.

“Yes, Mr. Mardox.”

“At least you didn't call me Mr. Secretary this time.”

Ali tried to stifle a giggle but it came out as a snort, again.

“You have a phone call in the office, and you might want to take it pronto. Your poor friend sounds frantic.”

It didn't take Ali long to get to the office wondering who it was. Last time she checked, she didn't have any friends. Err, new ones that actually.

“Helloooo,” she sang with a smile knowing it could be one of two people.

“I.AM.GOING.TO.KILL.HER.TODAY! And this time I mean it. For real!”

“Rory! It's nice to hear from you. What's up?”

“Do I have to spell it out. Because you know I will.”

“Alright, girly. How about lunch? Sushi across from the Park?”

“Fine. But this doesn't mean I won't kill her.”

“Ok ok, it doesn't have to. See ya then.”

~*_*~

Scott looked at his closing argument for the last case he was lead on. That was it. Afterwards all he had to do was work on the closing legs of Charles's campaign. The Iowa primaries weren't to far away. So much work was put into this and it was so close to paying off.

He rubbed his eyes and looked at his clock; his lunch was way over do, and he needed to get outside. Lord knows that Jean would either have him running around the house, or not be there and he'd still be running around the house just as fast.

Oh well, at least lunch didn't have to be overbearing or underwhelming, thusly mirroring his life at home. A beautiful bluebird with a black underbelly tapped at his window and he smiled at it. It seemed like the songbird was beckoning him outside to play.

Scott poked his head outside his office to see if anyone would see him run down the hall and out to his car. There was a little secret that everyone knew but liked to play oblivious too. Scott Summers loved to play outside. A lot. Sure sure, he'd make up the dumbest excuse to find himself outside even in the worst of weather, but everyone knew that he loved it. In reality, that's why Xavier chose Scott as his campaign manager. He was the only person who adored traveling. Scott liked to pretend he earned it. People around the office liked him, so they let him continue to think that. The last thing anyone wanted was to hear him whine.

If he booked it, he could go home get his red frisby and pick up Maddie, their red Irish wolfhound, from the dog watcher, and play outside. Noon time was a doglover's paradise.

In less than fifteen minutes, which was a small miracle in itself knowing New York traffic, he had Maddy and himself all dress and excited to go play and roll around in the grass.

There was nothing sad or pathetic about that at all.

~*_*~

Logan pulled his head back from the hot spray and inhaled. He would have washed in brine and salt if it would have removed all the dirt. He was just thankful that Laura was at school and that with what he was about to do, she was going to stay there.

As he fumbled with the towel going around his waist, he also fought the urge to call Ororo. It was so tempting to want to hear her voice again, let alone explain what he was about to do.

Logan could have been prepared to lose a lot had he still been in the Marines, but now, he found himself at a lost. Could he really air his dirty laundry, keep Laura, and keep her in school? He pivoted to look himself in the mirror. “Nice goin', Bub.”

After drying off, he fished out the number from Miscellaneous Kitchen Drawer Number One. It was on a simple business card that was folded up at the corners with several warn in wrinkles. It read, “Xavier McTaggart and Associates.” The byline had rubbed off after a year of disuse. Logan remembered when he first got the card. It was the world's most awkward dinner. Last year, Laura had inexplicably wanted to go to TGIFriday's because she swore that this time she would share her favorite dessert. The Brownie Obsession. Logan's red flags didn't go off, so he thought nothing of it. As the hostess lead them back to their seats, Laura took a sudden right and starting squealing like a pig and began to jump up and down. As it turned out, her brand new best friend had arrived with her family.

A Miss Rachel Summers, her father, older brother, and her mother, whom at that time, Logan had just gotten to know very well. In a...biblical way. Jean had already chaperoned for the trip to the Museum of Natural History; Logan had also gone as a last minute addition. Neither parent had any interest the actually trip. Both had managed to make the fourth floor women's restroom a very interesting place.

Logan could have throttled just about anyone at the table. Nate was busy flinging his food at Rachel. Rachel and Laura were singing the latest Disney songs on the top of their lungs. Jean was busy ignoring him while running her foot up and down his legs. The only person not doing their best to be annoying was Scott. He was talking about how his law firm was taking on less corporate cases and focusing more on civil cases. Scott slid over a card to him and told him to call if he ever needed help.

Logan grabbed the cordless and dialed the number. No turning back now. He followed the directions on the voicemail and got the answering machine.

“Hey Scott. I gotta problem. I messed up real bad, and now Laura may be in trouble cause of it. Is there anyway I can talk to ya?” He could only hope that his message would get through in time.

~*_*~

Scott inhaled and pushed his ruby Oakleys further up his nose as he and Maddie jogged the concrete path in the park. Maddie was on her best behavior as children with giant candies strolled by. This should have sent red flags up, but Scott didn't let it bother him. Maddie only behaved if there were treats involved, human food, a rub down, or if there were people around that she liked. Scott barely noticed when his pace became faster than his dog's.

Before he knew it she had stopped short, nearly wrenching the leash out his hand and turned in the opposite direction.

“Maddy?”

In response, the large dog took off. Scott held on for dear life and let Maddy lead him to wherever the emergency was. Maddy skimmed through the green grasses and rolling hills, all the way down to the sun light lunch area where people ate on park table under big bright umbrellas.

Maddy stopped suddenly and Scott let go of the death lock he had on the leach. Once his knuckles turned back to their original color he flexed his hands to get the blood flowing and shot his dog an evil eye. She perked her nose up again and picked up the same scent, and headed of again, this time not caring that Scott didn't have the other end of the leash.

“Oh common! Not again.”

~*_*~

Ororo poked at her Dragon Roll and sighed at it. Ali smirked and pulled out a cigarette from a stylish case.

“I know you're mad now. You never turn down food.”

“Al, you don't get it. She sabotaged me, and she practically moved the Earth to do it.”

“She sounds desperate. And what the hell is that!” Ali pointed to a massive mound of red fur with it's nose to the ground heading straight towards them.

Ororo turned around in her seat. “Maddie?” The dog perked up and trolloped towards the scents she'd picked up on the other side of Central Park. She happily sniffed Ororo and made her way over to Ali. Her tail wagged and she sat at the woman's feet waiting for a head pat. Ororo snickered as Alison slid all the way across her bench to get as far away from the dog as she could. Her friend was never really an animal person. The bigger they were the more she was terrified stupid. Ali had her knees up and could just stare. Ororo thought she was in an upright fetal position.

“What...What's that,” Ali asked in a small voice.

Ororo realized that she absolutely sucked at not laughing at her friend. Oh well, at least she tried.

“Her name is Maddie.”

Ororo turned around and saw a shaded Scott looking a little sour.

“Hey Scott, what are you doing here?”

“Chasing Maddie everywhere, you?”

“Ali and I were having lunch.”

Scott turned his attention to the rocking scared mess of a woman. Ororo mouthed silently, “she's not a dog person.” Alison glared at her, which only made Ororo smile harder.

“It's a shame,” Scott said softly smiling at the terrified woman, “she seems to be a Ali person.” Ororo looked at her watch to help break the tension, and it worked.

“I'm sorry you two, I've got to get back to the grind.”

“Wait, please don't go,” Ali begged as Maddy continually nudged her with her cold wet nose.

“You know, I have a great idea,” Scott said. “Why don't you two come over for dinner tonight. Jean and I would love to have you.”

Ororo was looking through her gi-nourmous purse for her keys, and Ali was still horrified by her new friend to hear what Scott was saying. All either one heard was that he had asked a yes or no question, and they both answered yes.

~*_*~

Jean rolled out of bed grabbed her robe and slippers and trudged to the kitchen for another cup of tea. As soon as she stood up another coughing fit seized her entire body. The flu sucked. This was a fact. She didn't even bother glancing at the full mirror behind her bedroom door. The only thing that didn't look gross was the mug in her hand.

Her hair was a fire engine red, stringy, greasy, fluffy bird's nest that smelled just awful. Her eyes were dark and puffy. The circles underneath looked big enough to land a helicopter on. There was the bloating, and the cramps, and the listlessness. Jean was stuck having no help either because her maid was sick too. This was the first time Jean was alone and she actually needed help.

Jean's first instinct was to call Scott and make him come home, but that was a bad idea. She already felt horrible emotionally she didn't need to be babied or smothered. She was seized by another coughing fit and settled on the nasty medicine in the bathroom. She was amazed at how quickly she got worse. Early today it was a few small coughs and a sore throat. Then again, around that same time was when she thought that everything was under control. Just the thought of something or someone slipping out of place made her panicky and angry.

The codeine in the cough syrup was starting to work; she slipped back into bed and sank her head onto her pillow. She'd have to worry about this later. With Scott being here, she would be able to get some sort of balance back.

~*_*~

Scott finished his fourth meeting since lunch at quarter past six pm. He never made it back in his office. By time he did, all he was able to do was grab his laptop and his portable drive. It wasn't until he basically limped by Monet's desk that he found out that there were calls for him.

“I'm sorry, Sir. You were gone all day,” the young girl said.

“S'ok. Can you give me the run down?”

“Sure. Jean called three times. She's sick with the flu. Warren called, he wants to play golf. Xavier said that the New York primary is now a priority. A man named Logan, no wait James, whatever, called twice. Said it was urgent. He said you know him from your kids school, and it's actually about that.” When she was done she shrugged and went back to playing City of Villains.

On the way home, Scott picked up Tyonal, KFC so Jean wouldn't have to cook, and called Ororo back. As it turned out she and Ali would be car pooling for dinner tonight. The last phone call Scott made was to Logan. He thought it would be a great idea to extend the dinner invitation to him as well. He figured that a free consultation wouldn't hurt over some greasy finger-lickin' goodness. If he was lucky maybe Logan would be an avid golfer too. Seeing pompous Warren get beat at his own game would be a dream come true.

If he could stop himself from drooling like Maddy all over their shared favorite person, that would make his night.

Favorite Person? Oh crap! Where did that come from?
Let’s Get Extracurricular by OriginalCeenote
“Jean, can I fix you some more tea?”

“No, that’s okay. I’m good. I’m about tea’d out.” Ororo made a small moue of pity and cleared away both of their cups, dropping the soggy bags into the trash.

“You should get some rest.”

“Are you kidding? It’s harder to hang around the house than it is to go anywhere else right now. Every time I sit down, Nate or Rachel nag me up to get them something, and any chance of some peace and quiet goes right down the toilet.”

“Scott’s always good for a little help. Have him take the kids out of the house for a while.”

“He’s helping Charles with this campaign and handling two new civil cases. He’s gone AWOL.” Ororo watched Jean fold her arms like a petulant child and stare out her living room window; a strange tingle of foreboding crept down her spine.

“He means well, kiddo. Not like I mind having you over. You just look so down today.”

“Scott’s acting like an ass,” she blurted out.

“Oh. Oooh.”

“Yeah. That about sums it up.”

“Does he seem stressed? You two getting along?”

“Last night didn’t help, Rory.” Jean usually never called her by a pet name. She was more accustomed to hearing Scott or Ali call her that, so it sounded odd coming from her lips. “I would have been more prepared if you’d told me ahead of time that you were heading over.”

“God, Jean, I’m so sorry! Scott didn’t make it sound like it was a problem!”

“He didn’t talk to me about it. That’s become the norm lately.” Grudgingly, she reminded herself that there were plenty of things she refrained from talking about with her husband, but heck, this was her turn to gripe while she had her favorite audience.

“I’m still sorry, Jean. You could have begged off when we got there.”

“No. No, no, no. I didn’t want to do that. I don’t just kick people out of my house, that’s rude.” Ororo wanted to ask her, then, why was she complaining about it after the fact?

“At least you didn’t have to cook,” Ororo pointed out.

“It would have been better if I had. Yeeecchhh…” Jean hated fast food grease, with rare exceptions. No, she didn’t want fries with that.

“Right. We should’ve bailed from the jump. Got it!”

“It’s not your fault.” And there she went again, push, pull, push, pull…Ororo sighed.

“Ali and I had a nice time,” she offered. “I love what you’ve done to your house, it’s always so elegant, I don’t know how you pull it off, Miss Martha Stewart!” This time Jean beamed. She’d pushed the right button.

“Oh, I hardly did anything new! So, what’s going on with you and T’Challa?” She was eager to pursue the topic.

“Ack…nothing, thank goodness. Same old story. And there’s no ‘me and T’Challa,’ unless you count his mother making my life miserable and playing with Luke’s head.”

“I thought you were getting along?”

“Heck, no. I found out that the storage facility I was using for my merchandise was bought out by one of his subsidiaries. I’ve been trying like the dickens to get my stock in order since they delivered it weeks too soon! The only consolation I have in all this is that my clientele had the chance to drool at the new season’s goodies enough to ask me when I’m having my first sale.”

“Then no harm done,” Jean shrugged as she helped herself to a Triscuit from the tray.

“It’s my business, and it’s my life. He doesn’t get to have a say anymore. I’m going with a different storage facility and distributor at the end of the month.”

“I still don’t see what the big deal is.”

“The big deal is that he’s my ex. He’s my ex for a reason.” Ororo plucked up a Wheat thin and plowed it through a small bowl of hummus. “Boy drove me crazy when we were married. Even moving half a world away didn’t make much of a difference. I wouldn’t be trying so hard to keep it civil if not for Lucas.”

“Maybe it would have been better if you’d stayed married to him.” Ororo stared at her like she’d just passed gas. “What? I’m just saying, Ororo, that it’s easier being married! I can’t imagine what it’d be like being ‘out there’ again! There’s no good men anymore!”

“You got the last good one,” Ororo admitted. “Even if he’s acting like an ass,” she allowed, even if she was clueless as to how. Jean was smug.

“So what gives? Why did you come with Ali last night?”

“Eh. Scott saw us at the park on our lunch break yesterday.” Jean dropped the second Triscuit back onto the tray.

“Wait. What? When did he see you again?”

“Lunch. Park. Dog. Frisbee. Yesterday.” Ororo spelled it out slowly so she could get caught up. “Ali asked me if I wanted to grab a bite to eat.”

“Seems like you’re getting even more chummy with her lately.”

“She’s a kick in the pants.”

“That’s the consensus,” Jean sniffed. “Still…those tattoos.”

“She’s not the only woman on the planet sporting ink.”

“She just used to be so pretty! And so NORMAL!”

“What’s normal?” Ororo wanted to know.

“Not looking like you work for a biker bar?” Jean offered.

“These days, everyone’s watching shows like ‘American Chopper.’ It’s just not that big a deal anymore, Jean. Lighten up!”

“I don’t want my kids thinking it’s cool. I’d absolutely die if they ever came home with a tattoo.”

“The kids seem like they’re doing pretty well in school this year! They’re taking band still, right?” Once again, Jean brightened. Phew.

“It’s so nice to see them taking music lessons! Kids who learn an instrument are better scholars!” Jean had never played or sung a note in her life. “How’s Luke enjoying soccer?”

“It’s keeping him busy, but I can barely keep him in socks. He keeps tearing them up now that he’s playing goalie.”

“That’s such a rough sport,” Jean tsked, “but at least it’s better than football.”

“I loved soccer,” Ororo mused. Her father had, too. “I taught him how to dribble.”

“This from the woman addicted to Jimmy Choos now, who refuses to learn how to bowl.” Ororo stuck out her tongue.

“It’s not the same. And Logan doesn’t care if I can’t bowl.” So there, she fumed.

“Logan? Please don’t tell me you actually like him, Rory!”

“What’s not to like? I have fun with him. And that’s all I want to do, anyway; he’s nice, he likes my son, and it’s nice to have someone to date.”

“Nice. Right. You can think that now…”

“Why are you making a big deal about Logan, Jean?”

“Well, it’s nothing…” Jean began.

“Okay, then.”

“Well…” Jean hedged.

“What, Jean? What is it?”

“You met his ex-wife, didn’t you? Silver, and her husband Vic? At the potluck?”

“Oh…ohhhhhhh. Yes, I did.”

“Piece of work, isn’t she?”

“She didn’t seem so bad…”

“Bullshit.”

“Okay. Maybe she did. But if he loved her once, how bad could she be?”

“Logan loving someone doesn’t guarantee anything about them, trust me.”

“Jean, you’re making me nervous, here!” Ororo chuckled, even though she did, indeed, feel nervous all of the sudden.

“Believe me, Ororo, I know a lot about Logan.” Ororo felt like someone was running ice cubes down her neck.

“I see.” Ororo leaned forward toward Jean from across the coffee table. “Do you have a history with him? Like, before you got together with Scott?”

“Oh, no,” Jean laughed. “He could only wish!” The wheels in Jean’s head turned more quickly as she came up with the perfect seed of doubt to plant in her friend’s head. “But it’s not ‘history.’ He’s always making passes at me. Regularly.” That made Ororo straighten up, stiff as a poker.

“Wow. That’s just…I never would have guessed. Wow.”

“Oh, gee, Rory…he hasn’t…you know, tried to feed you any lines, has he?”

“Lines?” Ororo was fumbling for words, all the while running their past few encounters through her head. She ticked them off one by one. Their bowling playdate. The car show. Chuck E Cheese, which he somehow made seem fun, thereby doing the impossible. Their comfortable chatter at the potluck, the birthday party, and the assembly. The soothing rumble of his breathing when they’d cuddled “ CUDDLED “ on her couch while she was sick.

And the kiss. Let’s not forget The Kiss.

She couldn’t reconcile Jean’s accusations with the impressions she had of Logan, and for the moment, she didn’t want to try. So she threw Jean off the scent.

“No. Luke and Laura end up in a lot of the same places, so I see him every now and again. But you know me, Jean. I might as well have a ‘Hands Off’ sign stamped on my forehead!” Jean chuckled.

“We need to do something about that. One of these days, I need to have Warren fix you up with one of his friends! He knows all the right people.”

“He does, huh?” Jean’s admiration of Scott’s colleague hadn’t gone unnoticed. She always seemed to hang on the fringes of any visit he made to the Summers’ house. His name came up in almost every conversation, too, no matter how random.

If Ororo didn’t know better, she’d swear Jean had a crush.

“Just leave it to me,” Jean promised brightly. “Some nice guy who’s the whole package will snap you up yet, Ororo! Especially with me on the job!”

“Oh, goodie,” she sighed wearily as she put away the hummus dip.

Jean’s words plagued her all evening after she left. Ororo occupied herself with a avocado facial and applying a deep conditioner treatment to her hair, mulling the previous night’s events in her head. Why was Jean so hung up on Ali?

Better yet, what the heck WAS up with Scott?


~0~


The night before:


SLAM! “JEAN! HONEY!”

“Mmmmmph.” Her mouth tasted like cotton and she felt like she was hearing his voice through a tunnel. “Have some respect for the dead, why don’t you,” she muttered listlessly. She rolled over and checked the clock. Six-thirty. Where the heck had the time gone?

“Jean? Come on down here, please. Gimme a hand getting the table ready.”

“For what?” she cried, rolling up from bed and shrugging into her terrycloth robe.

“Dinner.”

“I thought you were picking up dinner?”

“I did. And we’re having company.”

“Shit!” she hissed, trotting out into the hallway to make sure she heard him correctly. “What did you say, Scott?”

“Company. ‘Ro’s coming over. She’s bringing Ali. Oh, and Logan’s coming, too.” She reeled back as though she’d been slapped.

“Wait…LOGAN? Why, honey? It’s a school night! He’s not bringing Laura over for a playdate, is he?”

“That’s not the purpose, honey. Come down, please?” His voice was low but insistent, and his eyes held scant sympathy for her as she peered down at him from the head of the stairs. She leaned against the banister reluctantly, tapping her fingers against the gleaming wood.

“I wish you’d given me more notice, Scott. When I asked you to pick me up some Tylenol, did you think it would have been nice to clear it with me first before you invited a houseful of guests?”

“No.” Her jaw dropped.

Excuse me?

“I didn’t think I had to clear it with you. I’m sorry you don’t feel well, Jean, but I brought you some medicine and I picked up dinner, and I even kept Nate and Rachel out of your hair while I was running those errands. I thought that was enough. Sorry I didn’t ‘give you notice.’ And for the record, Logan really did need to come over tonight. I couldn’t clear anything in my schedule this week during regular hours.”

“Every hour of the day is ‘regular hours,’ Scott, and I’m getting sick of it.” They shared a long, stony look, the staircase yawning open between them. He searched her tired green eyes, taking in her slumped posture. Some fleeting flicker of hope inside him died. He didn’t have much left.

“That’s not going to change any time soon, Jean, unless you want me to get a different job. I love what I do. And I thought you enjoyed the lifestyle we have.”

“Scott…”

“Go get dressed, Jean.” He retreated to the kitchen without another word. Dazed, she returned to their suite to take a brief shower.

It had been on the tip of her tongue to tell him Warren knows what ‘regular hours’ means. She monopolized every minute away from his desk or that he didn’t spend on the course with Scott playing eighteen holes.

Her eyes looked like they’d met the business end of a baseball bat even after she’d bathed. Her hair was still hanging in damp strings by the time the front doorbell rang.

“Crap! Crap,” she chanted, fumbling for her low-heeled sandals. “Crap. Crap. Crap. Where are they…crap! For the love of Pete…”

“JEAN! Get the door!”

“You get it!”

“I have to get something out of the basement…” His voice trailed off, and she heard his footsteps descending belowstairs.

“Sure you do,” she muttered miserably before she trotted downstairs in her bare feet.

Ding dong, ding dong…

“Just a MINUTE!” She nearly tripped over the kitchen mat on her way to the door, hating the jarring sensation and how it brought her headache roaring back.

Ororo and Ali both wore stunned expressions when she yanked open the door.

“Hey, sweetie,” Ororo chirped. “What’s the matter?” she inquired, her smile fading slightly as she took in her condition. Jean’s first impulse was to scrape her dripping hair away from her face and smile.

“Nothing. Nothing. Come in…er, Ali. Hi. Come on in.” Ali gave her a sympathetic look as she followed Ororo in through the foyer. The perky music teacher looked disgustingly healthy and well-groomed, wafting inside on a cloud of Glow. Jean’s stomach churned at the heady scent. Her eyes raked over her outfit. As usual, Ali looked like she robbed a Hot Topic, this time garbed in a black Hello Kitty tee shirt; even Kitty was all Goth’d out. Snug black boot cut slacks hugged her narrow frame. Jean was surprised, however, to see that she’d taken pains with her makeup for a change. The Bettie Page red lipstick and dark liner was gone, replaced by softer pastels and dark brown mascara. Even her hair looked sane “ almost “ with the ends flipped under and with her bangs wrapped and pinned into place.

“Didn’t Scott tell you we were coming over?” Ororo hung her own coat on the rack by the door.

“Well, you know Scott,” Jean reasoned.

“Something smells good, what did you fix?” Ali asked.

“Oh. Right. Dinner…” Jean sniffed the air. “I didn’t do it. The Colonel did. KFC.”

“Can’t go wrong with that!” Ali agreed. “Bet you caught that nasty flu that was going around the school, huh, hon?”

Grrrrrr… “I don’t know where I could have picked this up,” Jean replied, through gritted teeth. Thanks for noticing, now I feel sooooooo much better. Bitch…

“Don’t you want to go grab some socks? It’s a little chilly tonight, Jean! Cover your feet!” She peered down at her slender size fives, toes painted a soft shell pink and sighed.

Ding dong!

“Let me get that!” Could the evening get any worse?

“Mrs. Summers! Where’s Rachel?” Laura cried, bouncing up and down like a puppy who needed a walk. Behind her, Logan and Ororo’s son Luke were discussing the comparative benefits of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance versus Marvel Nemesis Rise of the Imperfects until Logan turned his attention to the door.

“Eh. Hey, Jeannie.” She disgustedly admitted he looked sexy, which made her current state even more galling.

“I didn’t know you were on your way over here,” she accused calmly.

“Pulled in just as ‘Ro did,” he shrugged, answering her silent question. She was happy that they’d come in separate cars, seeing that Ororo’s was nowhere in sight. So she’d come with Ali.

She was about ready to sock him when she noticed him peering at her reddened nose. She glared at him. He shot her a sheepish smile.

“Don’t let in all the cold air. Laura, Luke, let me hang up your coats. Shoes OFF!” She nagged everyone inside and secured the deadbolt before hurrying upstairs to resume the search for her shoes.

She didn’t care if anyone heard her blow dryer running. “JEAN! Come down so we can eat!” She tuned Scott out long enough to brush on a dab of blush. It still didn’t help.

“You’re SO sleeping on the couch tonight, buddy,” she fumed as she shoved her feet into her favorite green velvet slippers and yanked on a long cardigan.

The kids made short work of the first bucket of extra crispy. Jean raked patterns through a pitifully small helping of mashed potatoes and just picked at a biscuit. The smell of the greasy, empty containers made her sicker, and she was grateful when Scott suggested that they head to the den.

“Need help?” Ororo offered.

“Knock me unconscious,” Jean quipped as she fished out a box of green tea bags.

“Poor baby,” Ali sympathized. “Feeling pretty jacked up, huh?”

Grrrrrr. Feel THIS. Here, have some of my germs… Jean’s face scrunched up and she coughed loudly into her fist. She sounded raspy and ragged like she’d dislodged her lung, and it was about to come flying out at Ali at any minute. “Sure do. Man, I can’t wait to go back to bed!” Ali shrank back from the onslaught of invisible loogies.

“I’ll just get out of your way…” Ali beat feet for the den. Ororo rubbed Jean’s back soothingly.

“Wish you felt better today. You missed a fun lunch.”

“Anything but food,” Jean pleaded as she heated up her cup.

The mood in the sitting room was already charged; Scott’s hopes that it would be easier to discuss Logan’s situation over a relaxed dinner bit the dust. Scott and Jean took up the loveseat; out of long habit, Jean laid her hand on his knee. He tensed, but he didn’t remove it.

“Let’s get down to business. What happened between the two of you in Emma’s office?”

“She called me again after I called you,” Logan grumbled. “Turns out there was a mix-up in the school’s enrollment this summer.”

“Really?” Scott frowned.

“Apparently Laura’s name was ‘accidentally’ move up a few spaces on the waiting list. Emma claims that was the primary reason why she ended up being enrolled as early as this fall.” Scott made a small noise.

“As opposed to what other reason? Didn’t she pass the entrance exams? She would have needed to do well on the personality assessments, the introductory interview with the panel? I know she had great extracurriculars…”

“Ya don’t hafta sing my girl’s praises ta me, Summers, but yeah, that was my first thought when I talked ta Frost.” Technically his ninth or tenth thought after coming up with over a half a dozen ways to kill her painfully. “Ya’d think she’d have noticed a glitch like that the first friggin’ day of school, not a month and a half into the year.”

“When would she have been enrolled if not this semester?”

“Next year. Never mind that it’s too late to transfer her back ta the school in our own district without just as long of a wait. Emma claims that the family who would’ve gotten Laura’s spot’s makin’ a huge stink about it, too.”

“So we need some records,” Scott mused. “What else did she say?”

“Accordin’ ta her folks in bookkeeping, the scholarship check was never posted ta Laura’s account. We’re gonna owe the whole semester’s tuition up front til they find out where it went.” Scott’s face darkened with a scowl.

“You’ll have to call the bank and see when it cleared. Don’t just wait for Emma’s staff to tell you when they posted it. Make them give you a hard copy.”

“That ain’t the only thing I need help with,” Logan reminded him.

“I’ll need to order some records. I need dates and history of when Laura was enrolled and when Emma received all of her files. I don’t need to know what’s in them, just when she got them.” Logan watched him with some relief. Jean was unusually quiet.

“It seems odd that Emma picked now to bring this up. She’s always been such an organized person,” Jean remarked. “This doesn’t seem like her at all.” Jean’s expression was enigmatic as she peered at Logan over the rim of her teacup. “Did you do something to annoy her, Logan? Get on her bad side?” Her tone was faintly teasing. Scott redirected his scowl.

“That’s uncalled for, Jean. Stop it.” There was something unreadable in Scott’s eyes. “That shouldn’t matter anyway, even if there was a miscommunication between you two. A school’s relationship with the parent shouldn’t interfere in the education of the child, especially if the child’s eligible to attend based on the school’s standards.”

“This ain’t a good time ta rearrange my daughter’s life on a whim,” Logan informed him curtly. “I need ya ta win this one, Summers. I hope ya’ll do what ya can. Lemme know what ya need fer a retainer ““

“Pro bono,” Scott barked, waving away any further arguments.

“I can’t let ya do that.”

“Yes, you can.”

Logan looked uncomfortable. “It don’t feel right lettin’ ya absorb the cost an’ time ta help us, Summers.”

“I wouldn’t sit well with me to charge for something like this. Your daughter’s like family to us, Logan. Case closed.” No one laughed at the pun. Jean looked contemplative as she abandoned her warm perch beside her husband on the couch.

“I’m going to make sure the kids are fine,” she announced.

It was a patent lie. She really wanted to see what Ororo and Ali were up to.

She found them in the formal living room, perusing a thick scrapbook. Irritation colored her tone as she asked “What’s going on? What’s that doing out?”

“Oh, Jean! This was actually right there on your bookshelf. I was showing Ali some of the old pictures of you, Scott and the kids. I didn’t think you’d mind. It’s been so many years since Ali saw you guys last, not since high school!” Ali’s smile was arm as she thumbed carefully through the pages.

“You were a beautiful bride, Jean. And the children were precious as babies. You still look great.”

“Go on, you shouldn’t,” Jean murmured. She meant it, but not in the way either of the two women occupying her couch thought.

“Where did you end up going to college?”

“Sarah Lawrence.” She took up a seat on Scott’s favorite recliner and tucked her feet beneath her, sipping her now cold tea.

“That’s a wonderful school. Did you ever do anything with your degree?”

What was this, twenty questions? “I was an interior designer for about five years before Scott and I got married.” Then she added “What did you do with yours?” Ororo made a face and burst into embarrassed laughter.

“Jean! Silly!”

“Just asking,” Jean shrugged. “Sometimes it takes people a while to find their calling and get their acts together. Right, Ali?”

“Sure. More or less.” Ali quietly closed the scrapbook and laid it aside. “Not everyone’s as together as you, I guess.”

“That’s me,” Jean demurred. “I just knew what I wanted from the start. People just don’t try that hard to stay focused on what they want anymore. You always hear about people getting sidetracked or spending too much of their lives just wandering or being scattered.”

“Sounds like my marriage,” Ororo tsked. She felt Ali stiffen beside her, and when she dared to glance at her, the musician’s smile had died a slow death.

“Sometimes it takes a while to find something you really love. It’s worth it when you do.” Before Ali could say anything more, they heard a scuffling of feet and the jingle of an ID tag as Maddie made her way into the living room.

“Maddie! C’mere, girl, whose Mommy’s good girl?” Jean crooned, beckoning to the hound by patting her knee. Maddie’s tail wagged furiously as she darted from one person to the next, snuffling and huffing to make up her mind.

She settled unerringly on the one person who wasn’t that fond of dogs.

“OOF! GAH! Ptooey!” Ali sputtered, fending off the pooch whose front paws were planted on her shoulders as she took an enthusiastic taste of her nose. Nothing topped off a fast food dinner like the aroma of doggie breath.

“C’mon, Maddie, down girl! Be good!” Ororo chided her, giggling as Maddie thumped her with her tail in an effort to get Ali’s attention.

“What’s going on with her? She doesn’t usually smother strangers like that,” Jean murmured vaguely.

“Ohhhhh, Maddie and I have met,” Ali informed her. “Eek! Down, puppy, DOWN! Pretty please?” The dog settled for chasing her tail a moment before she settled herself and promptly laid down right on top of Ali’s Doc Marten boots. She continued to pant and thump her tail.

“Just made herself at home,” Ororo marveled, chuckling as she reached over and scratched Maddie’s ears.

“I don’t remember tossing out a For Rent sign,” Ali winced, still leaning back into the couch to discourage the dog.

“She’s a good dog, really,” Jean explained. “Scott babies her. He’s a bigger sucker for her than he is for Rachel, sometimes.”

“Does she have a toy or something she might like to play with instead of me?”

“Maddie! Here, girl!” Jean called again, and the dog finally relinquished her spot and romped over to Jean, settling herself on her lap like a big, shaggy blanket. It was comforting, having a barrier between herself and the two interlopers who’d seen her looking under the weather. “Ororo, why don’t you go check on the kids?”

“I’ll do it,” Ali said, excusing herself.

“We’ll be heading out soon,” Ororo decided quickly. “Jean, thanks for having us over tonight.” Then it occurred to her, “Where are Logan and Scott?”

“Still in the den. Scott’s supposedly helping Logan with a legal issue he’s having.” Ororo suddenly looked concerned, her blue eyes widening.

“I didn’t know that. He never mentioned anything today as we were coming in. I hope everything’s okay?”

“Oh. You knew Logan. He’s always got something going on,” Jean told her, waving it away like a gnat.

“That doesn’t sound fun at all.” Ororo made a note to herself to talk to him later when she had time to take him aside. “Let me go collect Lucas.” Jean looked relieved.

Down the hall, Logan was just rising from his seat and stretching his legs. “I’ll be in touch with ya, Summers.”

“Don’t be shy about leaving a message if I’m out. Logan?”

“Yeah?”

“Emma having a beef with you really shouldn’t make a difference in whether she can disenroll her.” Logan’s senses went on full alert, feeling hackles raised on the back of his neck. Scott’s tone was measured and calm. He’d been like that all night.

“I don’t have a beef with Emma, so that ain’t the problem.”

“I got a different impression from times that I’ve seen you talking to Miss Frost,” Scott informed him quietly. “It’s never been my place to say anything about it.”

“So why is it now, bub?” Logan shoved his hands in his pockets and sized him up. “Whaddya think ya know?”

“Women in Jean’s carpool tend to talk. And I’m the one who pays the cellular bill. There’s been calls from the shop where you work that puzzled me over the past few months, until a few weeks ago.”

“Laura comes over often enough…”

“We both know that isn’t why. Give me some credit.” Logan’s shoulders slumped and he raked a hand through his hair. “You make it hard, Logan. On yourself and on me. I know the game Jean’s been playing, and that makes it hard for me, knowing she thinks I don’t have a clue.” Scott retrieved the last of his soda and took a fortifying gulp. “So when I have you telling me that Emma’s singled out Laura to take umbrage against you, it’s a not so subtle clue that something’s been going on between you two.”

“Don’t expect me ta agree with ya.”

“You don’t have to. I know what I’ve seen, Logan.”

“Suit yerself.”

“Just because you’ve screwed me when you screwed Jean, Logan, that doesn’t mean I’m going to hold it against you in regard to helping Laura. I’d be as bad as Emma. I’m bigger than that.”

“That why ya made a big show of goin’ all ‘pro bono’ when Jeannie was sittin’ there?”

“No. I don’t have anything to prove to her.” Hurt resonated through Scott, so bitter Logan could taste it. A lump formed in his gut as he absorbed it, knowing he was at fault and that he couldn’t take it back. “That doesn’t mean you don’t have anything to prove, pal.”

“What’re ya talkin’ about?”

“Ro. Hurt her and I’ll drop this case like a bad habit. And kick your ass into next week.” This time Logan recoiled and planted his hands on his hips.

“What I do with ‘Ro ain’t up ta you!”

“You don’t fuck with my sister,” Scott shot back on a hiss. Logan was instantly stunned.

“Come again?”

“My sister. ‘Ro and I were both adopted into the same family.” Scott saw something dawning on Logan’s face and drew back. “What?”

“That’s why ya were all buddy-buddy with her? Crap,” Logan winced. “Dunno if that makes me feel any better, but still…crap.”

“You didn’t think…”

“Like hell I didn’t.”

“Doesn’t make any difference. Hurt ‘Ro, ass kicked. That’s all you need to know.”

“Still ain’t any of yer business, Summers, but I’d never hurt her. Ever.”

“Guess I’m surprised you’re interested in her. She’s not married.” Logan bit back a sour reply at the sound of Jean’s slippered feet.

“Ororo’s getting ready to go,” Jean let them know. “Laura’s ready to go, Logan, she’s champing at the bit.”

“Got it.” Jean’s face revealed nothing of whether she overheard anything before she arrived. “Get over that flu, Jeannie. Ya look like ya don’t feel well.” Her fist balled up as though she wanted to slug him, but he sauntered out.

“I’m going to see them out.” Scott followed close on his heels, leaving Jean to sigh in frustration. What a hell of a night…she wanted to crawl back into bed. It didn’t help matters that she wanted to crawl into Warren’s.

Ali already had her coat on and was headed outside to warm up her little car. “Ali?” She turned to face him and offered him an odd, sad little smile.

“Sorry we didn’t get to talk much. Thanks for having us.”

“It was nice to see you.”

“Jean didn’t feel well. I didn’t want to stay too long.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Then he studied her more intently. “Is something bothering you?”

“No.”

“You sure?” She hesitated.

“No,” she repeated. He could have sworn he saw her waver, wanting to tell him more. “But I don’t want to talk about it now, Scott. And you have a busy day tomorrow…I don’t want to get in the way tonight.”

“You didn’t.” It was so tempting to want to touch her in some way, but he held himself back. She shivered within the confines of her wool peacoat. Her breath came out in small white puffs in the chilly night air, drawing his attention to her mauve-glossed lips.

“You should go back inside.”

“I want to say goodnight to ‘Ro.”

“Scott! It’s freezing out here,” Ororo clucked as she tugged Luke behind her. Logan was bringing up the rear, prying Laura and Rachel apart so they could leave. The men shared a heavy look between them that went unnoticed.

“There you go,” Ali assured him. “Get warm. Goodnight, Scott.”

“G’night.” She rushed off to start the car. Ororo’s voice was soft at his elbow.

“Thank Scott for a fun evening, Luke.”

“Thank you.” He ambled off after Ali and waved back to Rachel and Laura as they hovered on the porch.

“He’s a good boy,” Scott murmured.

“I know.”

“Gets that from your side.”

“Don’t butter me up, big brother!” Then she wrapped an arm around his waist. “You okay?”

“Sure,” he said absently.

“You don’t seem okay.”

“I’m not the one who got the flu.” He gave her a squeeze and kissed her cheek. “Be good.”

“I always am,” she said innocently.

“And ‘Ro…be careful.” Her brows crumpled for a moment.

“Ooookaaaaay…” He felt Logan’s eyes boring a hole into his back and stepped away. “Bye!”

“Mind if I walk ya ta yer ride?”

“Not at all.” His fingers were delightfully warm as they closed around his.

“Wasn’t expectin’ ya tonight, darlin’.”

“I wasn’t either. Scott invited us at the last minute.”

“Hnh. ‘Kay. Cool. Listen, what’re ya up to this weekend?”

“Haven’t decided yet.” Then her face deflated. “Wait. Luke’s gonna be with his dad. Never mind. I was going to suggest an outing with the kids.”

“What about an outing without the kids?” A happy flush bloomed in her cheeks.

“I’m swamped this week at work, but give me a call.”

“I’ll take what I can get.” He proved his point by threading his fingers through hair and pulling her to him for a kiss that was brief but sweet. Her faze was dazed.

“Okay,” she answered dreamily before she remembered herself. “G’night.”

“’Night.”

He never saw Jean’s eyes on him from the living room window as he walked back to his Escort.


~0~

As though she had telepathy, Silver called him two days later. She always picked whatever moment his life went to crap to contact him. Murphy’s Law was Silver’s Law.

“I got a letter in the mail asking me to schedule a conference with Laura’s school. What’s this all about, Jamie?” The joint his jaw clicked.

“Hello ta you, two, Silver. Yeah, I talked with her headmistress, too. Emma wants ta talk with both of us when ya have time in yer busy schedule.”

“I want to schedule it around Vic’s.”

“He don’t need ta show up.”

“He’s her other parent. Why can’t I bring him?”

“Maybe ‘cuz he ain’t the one takin’ her ta school or the one who made sure she got in,” Logan griped. “They don’t allow pets in school, either, Sil.”

“Bastard. Don’t give me that shit.”

“Leave yer friggin’ lap dog at home!”

“It’s not up to you, Jamie!” she hissed. “What did you do now?”

“Why’s it gotta be anything I did?”

“Because you don’t have the sense God gave a flea,” she said simply. “Her tuition bill should have already been paid.”

“That ain’t the only issue, Sil.”

“So what’s wrong?”

“They’re sayin’ Laura probably shouldn’t have gone ta school this semester. They might disenroll her.” There was a long silence, broken by Sil’s heavy sigh.

“Well, that’s just brilliant. Shit. So now what? They just want us to pull her out?”

“Not yet. I got a lawyer.”

“You can’t afford one.”

“I’ll work it out.”

“You’re wasting your time, Jamie. It’d be easier to just pull her and see if we can get her back into Westchester Prep.”

“Uh-uh. She’s fine where she is. I ain’t gonna let ya just give up because it’s easier fer you!

“So we’ll just wait for them to make up their minds whether to keep them because it’s better for you, then?”

“It’s better fer Laura, Sil!”

“Sure it is. You live closer to the school. You get good parent points because it’s so convenient, Jamie. Don’t sit there and feed me that line.” He heard her marshaling the troops. “I think Laura should come back to live with me.”

“I don’t friggin’ believe this! That’s bullshit, Sil! We’ve been fine, sharin’ custody up until now!”

“You’ve been fine. It’s not healthy shuttling her back and forth. She has a decent home to live in here with two parents.”

“We’re her two parents, which hasn’t changed just ‘cuz we split up!” He wanted to add “and Laura doesn’t even like Vic ‘cuz he’s a smarmy, smug bastard,” but that wouldn’t win him any battles. “I ain’t gonna lie down on this, Sil!”

“Fine, then. It’s a good thing you have that lawyer, then, Logan.”

“What the fuck are ya sayin’, Sil?” he asked. His voice was dangerously low.

“See you in court.” Once again, she hung up without saying goodbye. Logan clicked the “off” button and threw the handset against the wall.
Sign here, here, and uh here... by Goddessreiko
Last Night:

Once everyone had left, and Scott was in the shower, Jean sat in the mirror and took a long look at herself. She noticed that she had dark bags under her eyes, wrinkles started to show around her eyes and mouth, and even her hands were starting to look bony and the veins were close to the skin. She knew that even without being sick, she was looking o-l-d. The most blasphemous of all things on the Upper East Side was to look like you couldn't keep up or take care of yourself.

She pulled her limp stringy hair back behind her ears, and rubbed at her pale skin. When she exhaled, she sank her head down to her vanity and placed her hands on top of her head. Jean couldn't stand the sight of her own image right now. Her thoughts overwhelmed her after what she overheard.

Scott knew.

Apparently he had known for a while. There were so many questions she didn't have the guts to ask. How long had he known? Did he know how many times she had been with Logan? As her thoughts raced along, she wanted to know if Scott had learned the most embarrassing truth of all. Had he found out that Logan was the one to break it off, and not she. Now that Jean thought about it, she didn't even know why Logan broke it off. There was no drama about it. Poof, gone. There was only one reason why that ever happened.

Logan had met someone else.

Jean squeezed her eyes shut, trying in vain to stop the ache in her head from getting worse. Of course that didn't work. Images of her best friend's shy smile and the slight darker hue on her cheeks that had nothing to due with the chilly night air, bombarded her. Jean really wanted to be happy for Ororo. She wasn't that blind to know when her friend was enjoying herself. But, Logan? Was it jealousy, regret, or caution that was making her object so hard to the thought of those two together?

Jean did have the itchy feeling to call Ororo and meet her for lunch, only to have T'Challa come in her place. Those two really belonged together, Jean thought. She turned away from the mirror in her swirly seat. She really didn't want to face herself or the music when she admitted the truth. When she had met Ororo at a PTA meeting a few years back, she remembered how miserable she was when she was married. Ororo didn't seem to have much of her own life or her own decisions. Jean didn't want to understand then, but now she could see how it was done. Ororo used to always say, “they had given me so much, but they took away much more,” when talking about her in-laws.

“So who am I to take that away,” she asked out loud.

“What was that, Jean,” Scott asked from the shower.

“I said, did you know that Ororo had a thing for Logan,” she said a little louder. There was a moment of silence, and for that amount of time Jean really thought she had dodged a verbal bullet. Then Scott turned the shower off. Jean groaned aloud.

“Actually, Logan told me he had...feelings for Ro,” the grossed-out look on Scott's face pretty much said everything else. “I wanted to throttle him.” He turned away to go back in the bathroom to finish drying off. If he had stayed, he would have missed the shocked look on his wife's face.

Jean didn't understand. Why did he literally stand aside and do nothing, and yet he was ready and willing to go to arms for Ororo? Whatever ever the answer was, Jean knew that she was in no position to ask. “She could do so much better with T'Challa,” Jean mumbled.

Scott sat down on the bed bare chested and towel dried his hair. “How many times does she have to say she was miserable with him? Does she need to wear a sign?”

“She deserves the best.”

“No...she deserves what she needs and what she wants, and only she can make that decision.”

“You don't want her with Logan, do you?”

“If their feelings weren't mutual, then my answer would be a resounding no.”

Jean looked down and simply muttered, “oh.” When she looked back up, she decided to ask another burning question, even though she just got part of her answer. “Is that why you're taking on Logan's case?”

“No. I'm taking his case because Laura shouldn't have to pay for Logan's selfish decisions.”

“I don't understand.”

Scott raised a brow at her, generally surprised at her lack of knowledge about this. “Huh, I guess you really don't know. Apparently communication wasn't a priority of yours when the two of you were together.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean, Scott?”

“Nothing, Jean. It really isn't my place to tell you.”

“Fuck you, you turd. You do this all the time and I feel so stupid about it.”

“About what, sweetheart. Finding out information way way after the fact. It must be real awful, tell me all about it.”

“So, you're really not going to tell me what this is all about?”

“Nope. Client confidentiality.”

“I hate you.”

“Why is this so interesting to you? I don't know, and frankly I don't want to know. Here it is then. Logan had been fucking Emma since the beginning of the school year. Turns out that's why Laura got bumped up on the waiting list. Now that Logan has suddenly called it quits, Emma is taking it out on Laura. From Logan's last message, the timing couldn't be worse. His ex-wife is now filing for full custody.” Scott finally looked at his wife and saw how shocked she was and heard her swallow slowly. He doubted that the custody battle even registered after the ego blow of the affair.

He finished dressing with casual business attire, and that's when Jean realized that he was going back out.

“Where are you going?”

Scott looked at her like she had grown another head. “Didn't you hear a word I just said? I now have, not one, but two extra cases to handle. I need to go back to the office and prepare some things.”

“Will you be back later?”

“No.”

“Why...why are you so defensive with me?”

“Are you kidding me?! I had to officially find out about you fucking Logan and keeping it from me, now I'm stuck cleaning up his messes, and yet no one has managed to come out and take responsibility for anything, let alone apologize. As long as the problem goes away, everything is a'ok, right? Oh except now Logan's predatory senses have turned to my sister, and I have to sit idly by. You-can-not-be-serious.”

“Scott, please” Jean pleaded softly.

“You know the worse part about all of this is, you have plans later tonight with Warren, don't you? Wanna know how I know? The same way I found out about Logan. I check the phone bill. I know you've called me all kinds of anal before because I go through my bills. But it's my hard-earned cash and I want to know what I'm paying for. So yes, I do check phone calls. I'm not an idiot, Jean. I knew what those lunch time calls to Logan where for. And I also know that he stopped calling you. After a lack of response from him, you began to “catch up” with Warren. Sometimes you are as clear as cellophane.”

“We need to talk about this.”

“Apparently not before you talk about this to Warren.”

“You don't seem to want to understand, Scott.”

“I understand that you will go after what you want, no matter who is in the way or how much you hurt them.” She opened her mouth to say something but he cut her off. “Enjoy yourself tonight, after all one of us sure as hell should. And, tell him I said hi.” With that he took his laptop, and threw an extra jump drive in his briefcase on his way out the door.

~*_*~

Ali tucked the handmade afghan around her shoulders a little tighter and shifted on her sofa. The soft glow of the television had been watching her for over an hour, and she just realized that. Sometimes she cursed her blessedly buttery soft couch. Sure it was great, but it was also wide enough for two.

Not that it was a slap in the face or anything.

Before she could muse any further, her phone rang, and she automatically reached for it.

“H'llo?”

“Hey you! You're awake-ish.”

Alison sat up and was desperately grateful for the company. “Hi Ro.”

“Are you alright?”

“Wha...I'm fine.”

“Please don't lie, and don't even think about changing the subject.”

Ali looked around her room, thinking of anything she could say to skirt the question. Her eyes picked up the flicker of light of one of her platinum records hanging on her walls. Then it hit her. “How's your store? Did you ever get those boxes out?” She could feel her friend's eyes narrow in frustration.

“Don't make me come over there.”

“Ok ok. Jeeze woman.”

“That's better. Now, what's going on?”

Ali thought about her words, and chose them very carefully. “Scott looked pretty um...busy tonight.”

“From what I understood, Scott has some pretty intense litigation for Logan that needs to be done very quickly, and I'm sure that Jean keeps him on his toes, as usual. Now that she's sick, he's gotta sweep in and rescue her from all thought and responsibility.”

“I see. Is it always like that?”

“It's hard to explain. But Scott does tend to spoil Jean and tends over compensate. Scott's not often there because of his job, and he's also not a very verbally emotional person. From my perspective, how Scott feels about things is clear as day from his demeanor and behavior, but sometimes Jean isn't able to see it.”

Ali took a minute to hold all of this in and sighed. Figures, she thought. “Let me guess, Jean is the type of person who needs everything out in the open. She needs to be reassured about his feelings for her as often as possible. How insecure women score men who are completely the opposite is something I will never understand.” Ali could have ripped out her tongue after she said that. For the longest time Ororo said nothing, and Ali swore it was so silent she could actually hear the mechanics of the phone working.

“By all things good and holy, Alison, tell me you're not in love with Scott!”

“Oh my god, no! Of course not.”

“OOooo, you just answered the question twice. I smell a rat.”

“It's not love. Maybe, perhaps a little crush, but nothing else.”

“I hate to break it to you, Ali, but Scott's married.”

“No! You don't say!”

“I'm sorry, but when did this come about?”

“I don't know. I was just minding my own business and he was picking up his kids, and I dunno. I had a good time talking to him, and looking at him. He seemed relaxed and yet apprehensive at the same time. I can't explain it. Probably because I'm a horrible judge of character. Never mind, I'm talking nonsense.”

“ Ali, as weird as this sounds, I'm glad that your starting to feel something again.”

“I didn't see this coming.” She laughed ruefully. “All I wanted was to just focus on music, without people telling me who what where or when. I didn't expect to meet anyone. Aw, fuck that, I didn't even want to meet anyone.”

“You just have no luck.”

“You better be careful, cause bad luck is like a deadly airborne disease.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“Ro, come on now. I wouldn't do that. But I'm just saying, bad luck spreads and the more it does, the worse it gets.

“Ok, yea sure, I'll totally keep that in mind.”

“Whatever you say, smart ass.” Ali genuinely yawned loudly in the phone. “Sorry about that, kiddo.”

“It's ok, it is really late. I was worried about you. Still am, actually, but you sound better.”

“Thanks, Ma.”

“If you're free later in the week, we can hang out and discuss things.”

“Like my non-exsistant crush?”

“I don't want you to hurt you, and Scott can be pain-in-the-ass oblivious.”

“Mmm, fabu...”

“Funny, I'll see you later. Get some sleep.”

Ali took her blanket and retreated back into the vortex of her empty bedroom and promptly fell asleep.

~*_*~

Ororo put the phone back on the charger and began to put the objects in her hand away. One final pickup of the things Lucas and she left out in their haste to go to dinner left Ororo nearly exhausted. She checked in on her sleeping son, and tucked his blankets around him as he nestled in. This was on her favorite things to do at night. She thanked all the gods that no one took her son away from her. She couldn't imagine a worser fate for anyone.

Just as she found a shirt to sleep in her cell phone on her dresser began to vibrate. She slipped on the shirt, looked at the caller id, and smiled.

“Hello Logan,” she said warmly.

“Ro! I'm so glad you're still awake,” he said breathlessly. “You sound beautiful.”

Ororo covered her mouth and nose with her hand to hide her sudden warm cheeks, even though she was alone.

“You're blushin', aint cha?”

“No!” She giggled a bit, which totally gave her away. “Why are you up so late, anyway?”

“Can't sleep. I'm tryin' to though, but I'm failin' miserably. I got a early morning tomorrow.”

“Why are you calling me, silly?”

Logan thought about it, as he took a long slow drag of his cigar. Now would be the best time to do it. Anytime tomorrow or afterward, she would hear the truth, and it wouldn't be coming from him. That would make it so much worse. Before that, before he risked so much, he needed to know just what was at stake. This time he would not be making the assumption that everything between both parties was clearly understood.

“Ro, there's something I gotta know.”

“Are you alright, Logan?”

“How... how do you feel about me?”

“What!” Ororo just couldn't help spitting that out. “You called me at two o'clock' in the morning to ask me that?”

He smirked. She responded almost as he had expected. Now if he had guessed properly she would slyly avoid the answer to completely avoid getting any emotional recognition for her own feelings.

“I...well...,” She stammered. Logan began the countdown until she would make an attempt at a subject change. “Logan, you really don't seem to be yourself right now. What's going on?”

Wow, he didn't even reach five. He had to give her credit, she was good. But, he needed answers. “So...”

“Logan, this isn't funny anymore.”

“It's a simple question, Ro, and I have all night. I'm pretty sure you have an early morning.” He failed to mention that he did as well. Dammit, he thought, that could all wait for a straight answer out of her right now. He wondered what she was so afraid of when it came to being honest about herself.

Ororo sighed. She hadn't thought about this in serious detail, and had begun to think she wouldn't have to. It was light, easy, friendly, with just the right amount of hot sexy tension to keep her wanting more.

There was the key phrase, she thought to herself. She did want more.

“I...I, this is so hard for me to say.”

Logan put the phone down briefly and groaned. He hadn't originally called to be turned on, and right now he felt like there was a teeball bat in his pants, and if he didn't do anything about it soon, it was going to swing away on its own.

“Logan?”

“I'm still here, baby girl. You haven't answered my question yet.”

“I do like you. A lot. It's just,” she sighed and bit down on her bottom lip.

Logan could here the sounds her mouth made. He grit his teeth and land a hand over top his tenting zipper to try and calm his fierce erection. “Go on,” he urged gently.

“It's just, I'm not good at the whole 'anything else more' sort of thing. Every time I've had the opportunity to have more, it's been a disaster.”

“Why so?”

“Where do I begin? Well for starters my ex boyfriend and ex husband both saw me as a prime target for their ulterior motives. I hated that when I found that out. I felt like a thread bare doormat. Then there were the blatant lies from others, which made me feel stupid. Then there were the mistakes I made. The biggest one I tend to repeat is making assumptions. I tend to assume that whomever I am seeing at the time is on the same page as I am.” She laughed a bit and realized that she may have finally learned something from all of that.

At the sound of her shy laugh, Logan gripped his crotch and let his hips rise on their own accord. His eyes rolled back in his head and he waited a full minute to regain his barrings. “You know what could prevent all of that,” he asked her with a grin.

“Um, no.” Ororo slapped her own forehead because she knew the answer.

“What are we doing right now, doll?”

“Talking,” she said with another real yawn.

“How about with finish this conversation over breakfast?”

“But I answered your question.”

“I never gave you my answer, besides I wanted to talk about,” he paused and shook his head, “other things too. Is there any way we could do this sans children.”

“I guess I could drop Lucas off with Nate. Tomorrow is Sunday right, I don't have to take him to school do I?”

“Aw, someone is real sleepy. No, there's no school on Sunday's. So that means I can see you at 7:30?”

“What brought all this on?”

“Insomnia, you, thoughts about hash browns and scrabbled eggs,” he wanted to add: potential of losing something great with you, possibly losing my only child and being solely responsible for screwing up her childhood, and all my mistakes coming out within the next day or so, but he refrained from saying any of that for now. That's what breakfast would be for.

“You sound like a mess.” She yawned again. “I should go.”

“Yea, me too. Take care, ok?” Logan heard the soft click of on her end, and he put his phone back on the base. When he told her everything, he wanted to plead for forgiveness in front of those stunning royal blue eyes. Even though he had not done anything wrong to Ororo, he still needed something from her to feel somewhat validated about all of this. If he had been a religious man, Logan would have been praying that Ororo understood what these other woman seem to have difficulty with. Casual sex. He snorted ironically. The last thing he wanted physically from Ororo was anything casual.

It felt good to finally admit that to himself.

Logan also realized that if Ororo took his confession badly this would be his last time seeing her. He took out his Iphone and went through his pictures. He found the one he liked so much. He snuck a picture of her on their first playdate. The fall leaves in all their colorful glory rained down in the wind, and Ororo was standing near a railing with her head slightly turned up to the sky and a small grin on her face. She was radiant.

Logan couldn't take it any more. He put the phone down, and in one fluid motion he unbuttoned his belt and zipped down his fly. His cock stood out already oozing out several clear drops. He gripped his muscle and closed his eyes, remembering that day with more clarity.

She had a checkered pea coat on that wrapped around her figure and auburn knee high boots that matched the mood of the fall season. He had wanted to slowly peel off those boots and grab on to her knees as they wrapped around him.

Instead all he could do know was rub. He let his head lean on the headboard while he stroked. His balls felt like fire as he closed in on an orgasm. Logan could tell that this one was going to be borderline painful.

One he thought about that, he figured it was some sort of divine ironic justice. The only woman he had looked at these past few months and hadn't done, was the one he desperately needed right now.

All he could do now was pump faster. In his frenzied thoughts he could see her underneath him giggling as he rubbed his stubble over her stomach and in the crook of his neck. He wanted to bury his hands in that snowy hair of hers, tip her head back, and rob her mouth.

Logan grunted as gave himself on last squeeze. Too tired to do anything else he laid on his bead, thinking.

If he wanted to come close to anything he wanted with Ororo, no pun intended, he would have to come clean.

Alright, pun intended.

~*_*~

Jean tossed turned and sniffled as she watched the minutes go by on her digital clock. Nothing she took made her feel better. About twenty minutes after her husband left, she had left a text message to Warren telling him that she wouldn't be able to make it tonight.

But as hard as that was to do, her mind was else where.

She knew about Logan's tawdry affair with Emma for a while now. After all, Blond Ambition called her with proof.

Jean had been played. Despite all the words of passion and promises, he taken his leave. Jean knew it shouldn't have bothered her, but it did.

She didn't know why. It wasn't like she had any intention of ever leaving Scott. Maybe this was guilt that was making her feel so uncomfortable. Guilt at having her part in the affair and guilt at having it last so long, and guilt for not breaking it off. As well as the nasty guilt of missing it.

Jean would have loved to have cried on Warren's shoulders, but was she ready to lather rinse and repeat all of this?

Even with all of this conflicting emotions, Jean still couldn't quite admit to being wrong about Ororo. She new full well about how much her friend valued her independence, but she really didn't seem to care. Logan wasn't right for her. Why couldn't she see that? He couldn't off her anything that she deserved. Ororo was no masochist, so why was she behaving like this? Her friend needed to hear the truth about Logan and his depravity.

She called Ororo to ask her to meet for lunch, but strangely enough all she got were busy signals. She left a message saying that it was important that they meet for lunch tomorrow.

Tiredness began to make her lethargic and she was more than ready to call it a night. She had the nagging suspension she forgot something...

Oops, she was supposed to do something nice for Scott. Oh well, tomorrow is coming. He never stays mad for long. Jean smiled in her sleep. No matter what happened, Scott would always be a responsible and dependable. She may have complained about the boring predicable life she had with him, but it was comfy.

~*_*~

A Few Hours Later
The Next Morning

Scott yawned and continued looking through the few court documents he was able to get from Logan in an email. His brain hurt and now he was officially out of all things java. This day had no where else to go but up.

As if on some heavenly que his intercom buzzed.

“Yes, Monet”

“You have a vistor,” she said plainly.

“No, really.” He heard her snort and he wondered why she hadn't been fired yet. “Who is it?”

“It's a teacher from your kids' school.” He heard some muffled sounds and some talking before she came back on. “Her name is Alison.”

“Really!” Scott slapped himself because he could her the enthusiasm in his own voice. “You can let her in.”

Before he could manage to completely pull himself together, Alison walked in his office carrying two instruments and a folder full of sheet music.

“I'm so sorry to barge in at this time.”

“No no no, it's alright. Believe me, I really needed a break anyway.” He watched her as she placed the instruments down against the wall.

“Well, I just came to drop these off. It's a clarinet for Nate and a violin for Rachel. They took so easily to the instruments; I thought they would enjoy practicing with them at home.”

“Really,” Scott asked.

“They didn't say anything about it, did they? Figures.”

“Don't feel bad, they can be boogers sometimes.” Scott smiled and so did she. He took the opportunity to enjoy the dark ruby red of her lip color shine against the pale porcelain of her skin. The only color on her were the bold tattoos on her forearms. Brightly colored flowers and exotic writing wrapped around her arms, and told stories he was more than willing to listen to. When she shifted in the light her even neck length jet black hair glowed with blue highlights. She looked like she walked out of a comic book. “I like your hair. It looks...awesome.”

Ali through her head back and laughed. “Thanks, I was beginning to think that no one would notice.”

“Are you kidding! You couldn't blend in with a gun to your head. It must be tiring though?”

“What?”

“Always being so cool.”

“Scott! I can't believe you just said that. I should probably leave before I get buried in a mountain of flattery.”

Scott pouted as if someone punished him.

“Why don't you come to the reunion concert for my band? It's a small venue, nothing to large. But depending on the turnout and the response, we may start recording again.”

“What! Dazzler is going to make a comeback!”

“Shh, you can't tell anyone. We're shooting for Asylum in about three weeks. I hoping that everyone can keep up their promise to show up.”

“Well listen, if you need a DJ or a guitarist, let me know.”

“Do you know someone?”

“Ouch, lady that hurt. I'll have you know that I had my time as a musician too.”

“Wow, color me officially impressed. In that case, I'll will definitely keep you informed.” She waved softly as she turned on her heel to leave. If she had turned back she would have seen Scott blushing profusely.

~*_*~

Meanwhile...

Logan pulled his Escort up to Ororo's building and inhaled. It was now or never. He tucked the brown grocery bag, full of supplies under his arm as he got out. The least he could do for the woman was cook her a good meal before he stabbed her between her eyes.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

When he got to her number he realized that his hands were shaking, but he knocked anyway. He had never been this nervous in the military, not even in Special Forces. Last time he had sweaty palms like this was when Laura got sick. He waited patiently when he heard socked feet slide to the door on hardwood floors.

The door opened and Ororo stood in the threshold in all her morning pajama'd glory. Instead of the sushi print, today it was a chili print on a black loose cotton pant and a matching clingy shirt. Her massive bundle of cloudy hair was piled up in a messy bun. The black rimmed glasses she wore made her big eyes even bigger, while making her whole visage look library smart and sexy. She had never been more attractive to him.

Ororo looked at him and smiled like she had candy. “Hooray, food! Oh, and you too. Come in, come in.”

“Hope you like loggin' food, Darlin.”

“What's that?”

“Ya know, hash browns, eggs, bacon and stuff.”

“Mmm, sounds heart-attackedly delicious. By the way you never told me the reason for all of this?”

“Sit down, will ya? Let me at your kitchen.”

Ororo grinned at him and moved aside to let him in her apartment. She watched him as he unpacked the brown bag, and got busy in her kitchen. In no time, he found all the cooking supplies he needed, and succulent smells of spiced bacon and potatoes filled the entire home. She watched him and his muscles as he continued to be domestic for her. Never in all her life did she ever equate food with being horny, but there was a first time for everything, right?

Within minutes he brought two plates over chuck full of the most mouthwatering food Ororo had seen in a while.

He sat himself in front of a plate, and waved at her to do the same. She did carefully, eyeing him with a raised brow.

“What? It aint poison.”

“I can see that.”

“Don't tell me you're a bird food eater. Can't stand girls like that.” He reached around and poked at her sides, receiving an air of laughter from her.

“Ahh ahh, stop that! What was that for?”

“You are on the skinny side. Maybe I should this more often.” She smiled at the comment and began to dig in. He frowned when he realized that this would most likely be the last time they had to spend together.

Even though she wasn't looking at him, she knew something was wrong. “What is it?”

“Laura's mother wants full custody.”

“What! Oh Logan, I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do?”

He looked at her and almost reached out for her hand, but stopped short. “Don't worry about it Darlin', I got a lawyer.”

“Really, good. If you have any problems let me know, and I could see if Scott could help you out. He owes me anyway. I've bailed him out of too much stuff when we were growing up.”

“Nah babe, it's alright. Scott is my lawyer,” he said with no emotion.

“Are you ok with that? Logan? Something else is wrong? What is it?”

He stood up abruptly and turned his back to her to lean against the wall. “Scott's not just handlin' the custody thing too. He's gonna help me keep Laura in Xavier's School too.”

“Wait, what?”

Logan rubbed the bridge on his nose. There was no turning back now. “Emma is putting Laura through the gauntlet and saying that she was moved up on the waiting list for favors.”

“Logan! I had no idea. No wonder why Scott was so distant. He probably up to his eyes balls in work. Now that I think about it, that wouldn't explain all that tension. I mean...there was something else, wasn't there. Please don't shut me out too, ok? Scott has been buried up to his nose with normal stuff and now all of this as well.”

“It's probably helping to distract him from his crumbling marriage.”

“Logan, stop that. That's mean.”

He walked up to her and pulled her up. He wrapped his big worn hands partially through her hair so that his fingers were wrapped in it, while his palms rested against her cheeks. In this position, she was nearly forced to see the weakened look in his eyes.

“Darlin', I fucked up bad. Scott knows that I've been screwin' Jeannie for a while, and now he knows that I had a thing with Emma. It really is the reason why Laura's going to school there.”

Ororo couldn't respond. All the words and reactions left her brain and body as she exhaled. Logan had a full grasp on her, so she wouldn't be going anywhere. She didn't know what she wanted to do, but she did know that she wanted to be anywhere except for here.

“Roro, please, say something?”

She moved her mouth to say something, but only silence came out. She tried again, and nothing happened. To her surprise, she did taste salt. That's when she felt two silent fat tears slide down her cheeks to join the first one she hadn't blinked away.
Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around… by OriginalCeenote
“I don’t know what’s worse,” she whispered hoarsely. Logan searched her face and felt his stomach tie itself in a knot, sinking like a lead balloon.

“Ro, just…geez, lemme explain!”

“What, the part where you screwed my best friend “ my MARRIED best friend “ or where you screwed over my brother?” Logan blanched. Ororo’s entire body tensed, and she backed out of his embrace, brushing away his hands that felt so good only moments ago.

“Ororo, when I…when I was with Jeannie…”

“Jeannie,” she snapped, throwing up her hands and rolling her teary eyes. “Pet names. Nice!”

“Quit it!” he grumbled. Trying to smooth things over would get him nowhere if he didn’t get a word in edgewise. “I didn’t know you then! Things were a mess back then. I had needs, fer fuck’s sake! Jeannie was beautiful, and she had needs, too! She listened ta me when everything was fallin’ apart! She was bored, with her life, ‘Ro, and wanted a taste of something different.”

“That’s what Baskin Robbins is for,” she retorted, dashing away tears. “You get bored with vanilla, then you try pistachio, butter pecan, or any of the other 31 flavors!”

“Shit,” he muttered. This didn’t look good.

“So now you’re telling me she was ‘bored.’ Two perfect kids, head of the PTO, volunteers at the hospital and drives everyone’s kids on field trips, and you thought you were the ‘cure’ for her boredom?” she accused.

Okay. It just got worse.

“Her live ain’t perfect, darlin’.”

“Don’t call me that!”

“Ro, c’mon!”

“Don’t call me that, either!” She rubbed her temples and leaned on the arm of the couch, reeling.

“Ororo,” he prodded, frustrated, “gimme a minute, will ya?”

“You can’t explain this. A minute won’t make a bit of difference. Are there more? What number am I on the list, Logan?”

“There’s no list…!” Shit. Shit, shit, shit.

“Scott didn’t deserve what you did to him. You don’t know what you’ve done. This is probably killing him.” She turned away. Logan worried that she’d cry again, but her voice was almost far away.

“One thing you have to understand about Scott is that he doesn’t love or trust very easily. Not at all. The first day we met, Mom and Dad left us in the basement to watch a movie. I teased him, and he hit me with a pillow. I started tickling him, and he…I hurt him when I squeezed too hard around his ribs. He pulled away like I’d punched him. I told him ‘I didn’t do it that hard.’ He just said ‘It still hurts. Everyone hurts me when they touch me.’ He showed me his scars. Bruises.” She shivered at the memory. “His foster parents before didn’t love him, they just used him. So how do you think he feels now?”

Logan was digesting this slowly, dread and regret choked him and made him feel sick.

“You can hurt people with the choices you make. Did you think it was some…I don’t know, thrill to sneak Jean away from Scott? For some kind of challenge?”

“No. That ain’t it. It ain’t about Scott.” Logan went for broke “ again. “When ya get divorced and start datin’ again, ya meet single women who don’t have kids and who don’t wanna play Wicked Stepmom to the kids that ya love more than yer own life.” She tsked in disgust, but he plowed on. “Then ya meet some single moms who still treat any men that come along after their ex-husband like kryptonite. Ya end up hauling out yer old baggage and listenin’ ta theirs over dinner at Denny’s and knowin’ it ain’t gonna work if yer kids don’t get alone.”

Ororo’s face was going through different emotions, one after the other. Disgust. Wry amusement. More disgust. Anger. Confusion.

“Baggage.” With one word, she condemned him.

Oh, shit. Open mouth, insert world’s largest foot and choke on it.

“I. Didn’t. Mean. Us.”

“The hell you didn’t!” She stalked into her kitchen and began to run hot water, rinsing her spatula and the silverware.

“Let me do that.”

“You’ve done enough. So that was the appeal. Married women like Jean were nice and safe. And what about Emma?”

“I made a mistake,” he admitted.

“Hello, understatement?”

“Cut me some friggin’ slack!” Frustration simmered inside him, bubbling and threatening to boil over.

“I can’t. You see, we have a problem. You took your sweet time telling me about you and Jean, and since she never said anything, that makes me wonder, ‘Hmmm, are they still tippy-tippy pausing around, knockin’ boots?’ Are the sheets still warm?”

“Sometimes there weren’t any sheets!” he burst out. “No! We ain’t sleepin’ around anymore! I came clean with Scooter! I came to him on my fuckin’ knees to help me keep custody of Laura.”

“You weren’t that worried about Laura to sleep with her principal, or to risk being found out.”

“Don’t. Tell. Me. I don’t. Care. About Laura.” His jaw was a steel trap. She paused in emptying the leftover eggs into the trash as he approached. His hand captured her wrist to hold her still, not hard, but he didn’t want her to ignore him. “Ya don’t know what it was like. Sil wanted ta send her away to a private school a couple of hours from here if we didn’t get her into this one. I could still keep joint custory with her here. I might not be a great husband, Ororo, but I’ve only got the one character reference fer that job. I’m still a damned good father.” He had his back up, and she began to lose steam.

“You can’t blame me for taking exception to what you did.”

“Ororo…whaddya want me ta do? I’m sorry. I’m ten kinds of sorry. I haven’t slept with Jeannie in weeks. Or with Emma.”

“That makes me feel special. So I’m just what you needed to end the old dry spell?” Not to mention her own. Damn.

“No!” Yes. She was sexy, even in chili pepper pajama bottoms. All he could think about was her, and then this blew up in his face.

Then Logan fell back on an age-old rescue maneuver that people used to distract their lover during the most pivotal of spats.

He turned it around.

“What about you and me?”

“Wait…what about you and me?”

“You in the middle of a dry spell?”

“That’s just…I’m not going to discuss this with you now!”

“Why not? Seemed like ya were gonna before,” he shrugged. “Am I kryptonite, ‘Ro?”

“Not when you walked in through that door a couple of hours ago.” Then she dashed his hopes. “I don’t just bring men home to meet Luke. I run a business and I have a difficult ex. I have to be careful about who I let into my life!”

“I was a safe risk?”

“I thought so.”

“I like Luke,” he bristled.

“That’s what makes this hard. I’m already having a hard time getting my ex-husband to leave me and Luke to live our lives. I don’t want him to think he has one more reason to take him from me because I’m having a dysfunctional relationship.”

WHOA.

“Dysfunctional.” He closed his mouth, turned on his heel and grabbed his jacket. Hurt and frustration crawled down his spine in an ugly flush. The frying pan clattered from her limp fingers, landing in the sink.

“Dysfunctional,” he repeated under his breath. Mutter. Frustrated glance over the shoulder. Jingling pockets for keys.
Mutter, mutter.


Her indignance suddenly took a hike. “Logan, I left a bad marriage. It took me forever to get back on my feet!”

“What’d we say about ‘baggage’ earlier? I’m done airin’ mine.” She tripped after him and watched him fumble with her dead bolt.

Oh. Crap. “Logan…”

“There ain’t one, count it, ONE relationship on this earth that ain’t at least a little dysfunctional, Ororo. I’m still fightin’ ta get my own equilibrium back. Sil took me to the cleaners. All I wanted out of my marriage when I left was Laura. I ain’t rich. I don’t need ta be. And I ain’t perfect.”

“I don’t need you to be. But I don’t share you. I won’t wait and watched while you and Scott puzzle out your case, because I can’t bear what this is doing to him.”

“Fine,” he shrugged. “Ya made up yer mind.”

“You made up my mind,” she corrected him. Her words made her feel even worse. Logan radiated hurt and resentment. Their perfect morning evaporated into thin air.

When she stood alone minutes later, watching his car drive off, she felt like crap.


~0~

Two Saturday nights later:

This kind of music didn’t have a lesson plan.

Allison sipped her Coke and swizzled the shrinking ice cubes with the slim red straw. She listened to the sound check, cringing at the sour thrum of feedback from the left amp.

Ali was garbed in her signature black and she didn’t skimp on eye makeup; her eyes still resembled luminous blue topaz, even thickly lined in kohl. Her tattoos laddered up her arms, exposed by the snug, short-sleeved tee that landed just short of her navel. Her hair was teased and blown out, making her look as wanton as she felt. Ali was ready to misbehave.

The bar was already drawing a crowd keen on snapping up the dollar shots that were the special of the night. No matter how many times Ali came out to strut her stuff, she still felt those butterflies taking wing in her gut. The music ruled her. It nourished her when she had nothing else to live for.

Her first few gigs were pitiful. Ali couldn’t package herself easily as a pop princess. It just didn’t fit. She couldn’t sing Joan Jett while she looked like Go-Go’s era Belinda Carlisle. Her mother stopped returning her calls after she dyed her enviably golden hair an inky black, to say nothing of the ink that she sported everywhere else. For the first time in longer than she could remember, Ali finally felt like herself.

Her concerts were her escape. No sheet music and tone-deaf fifth graders tonight. She didn’t have to take attendance; all she had to do was call everybody to the dance floor.

She finished her drink and set the glass on the bar, nodding to her bassist that she was nearly ready. She listened to his warm-up chords, appreciating the quality and humming the melody in time with him while she adjusted the mike.

Scott hadn’t shown up to her last couple of shows. Ali was crestfallen, but there was nothing she could do. Except mope. Or kick herself.

He was married. Even if he and Jean weren’t living the life of Ozzie and Harriet (okay, at least it wasn’t Ozzy and Sharon), it was still a marriage. He still had two beautiful children in the woodwind and brass sections of her third period orchestra class.

And he was Scott. That made him special.

He was the tall drink of water who slouched to hide his height and fade into the wallpaper. He was bookish and funny and occasionally nerdy when no one was looking, kinda like Ororo. He was shy. He was nice. And he was off-limits back then, because back then, Ali didn’t do nice. High school was a bitch.

Like Jean, Ali went to the cool kids’ parties, drank the cool kids’ beers, hung out in the cool kids’ basements, and snuck around with the cool guys. Typically they weren’t good boys. Outside of cheerleading practice, repertory singers’ rehearsal and honor society fundraisers, Ali was bad. Live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse. Ask her what she wanted to do with her life five years from high school graduation, and that was your answer, slurred drunkenly after about four Jell-O shots.

She got into Northeastern. She flunked out after two semesters. Her parents had been furious.

So Ali headed off to New York. Had two roomies whose priorities included freebasing, all-night raves, and shoving men out the door the morning after with a false phone number, whether they said they’d call or not. Ali woke one day, horrified, when a strange man bade her goodbye as he was buttoning up his shirt, and she had no recollection of how he got there, or how she got home.

Ali lived for the moment. One dead-end job led to another, until she had her phone turned off. The collections calls she no longer received turned into red notices in the mail. She couldn’t eat and pay rent during the same month. She used her last three dollars to purchase a newspaper and a pack of Twinkies at the corner store. The nudie bar next door had a Help Wanted sign in the window.

And that was all she wrote. The beginning of the end.

She made enough to afford a one-bedroom unit over a hardware store, just in time to move out after her roommates stole her necklace to trade for a fix.

Ali heard the music and she danced. She focused on its rhythm as the patrons focused on her goods, and it was the only thing that kept her sane. She imagined the crowded bar was her high school gym at homecoming and lost herself. She’d lost herself a long time ago.

The club owner heard her singing one night while she packed up her things and clocked out. He had a friend whose friend knew a friend who owned club, and they were looking for someone like her with a voice, not just a body or a face. It didn’t hurt that she had both. The club ended up being a dive that served watered down drinks and had one broken toilet. The gig itself nearly killed her that first night; the crowed looked bored through most of her first set, but gradually people drifted onto the tiny, sticky dance floor and heard her.

Ali held onto the music like a life raft. She still barely ate and made rent, but it gave her reason to keep trying.

She was restless. She kept perusing the want ads in the paper and saw an insert listing classes in the Sunday edition for the local junior college. Music classes. “Call one of our counselors now!” So she did.

One gig at a time. One class at a time. One semester at a time, until she transferred all of her units to the state school. Her dismal income guaranteed her financial aid, if she could just continue to make rent.

She reinvented herself one day after buying a print of Bettie Page at the poster shop, envying her sleek, dark looks and the fearless energy that blazed from her eyes, burning anyone looking. Something was still missing, she realized; she needed a symbol of some kind, to mark her new direction. Her rebirth.

The tattoo of a burning phoenix raptor on her back almost resembled angel’s wings and was worth the pain. She loved it.

Her old boss listed her job title on her tax forms as “Cocktail waitress.” Ali never questioned why; she seldom served drinks, anyway, unless Lila was out sick. When her buddy Lila turned out to have a fine set of pipes, too, they began sharing gigs and posters, passing out flyers with both their names, or she sang backup with Lila’s band, Cat’s Laughing.

It was less about becoming famous, and more about being heard. It was about being able to sing, and make music for the sheer joy of it.

Finishing her credential to be able to teach what she loved was the icing on the cake. It was exhilarating. And since she’d begun working at the school, every now and again, Ali would look into the eyes of one of her students and see a bit of herself, the way she was. That student inevitably became her prodigy.

More people filed into the bar a few at a time, gradually snagging tables near the stage. Ali smiled at a few of them as they met eyes. Some of them drooled over her lithe, petite body. One man murmured to the waitress to send over another of what she was already having but was disappointed to find out that it was only Coke.

Minutes later, the lights were down except for the ones onstage, illuminating her movements and the subtle burgundy highlights she’d added to her jet black hair.


Baby you'll come knocking on my front door
Same old line you used to use before
I said ya... well... what am I supposed to do
I didn't know what I was getting into

So you've had a little trouble in town
Now you're keeping some demons down
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my heart around



The Stevie Nicks standard was one of her favorites for its gritty flavor and her own belief that she’d lived it. She grew lost in it. The heat swelled in the tiny bar, making the air slightly humid. Ali slowly began to taste her own sweat.

She had a sense of being watched, above and beyond patrons’ eyes following her around the stage. She scanned the dance floor and came up empty; most of those couples were ignoring her and merely following the song. She was okay with that…for the moment.

Her eyes flitted toward the entrance, and there he was. Scott hovered near the door, looking uncertain as he glanced around his surroundings, but his expression changed as their gaze locked.

He was more casual than she’d ever seen him, not buttoned up in his double-breasted suits and polished Italian shoes. He looked broken-in and comfy in a pair of boots she never expected him to have in his closet, faded jeans and an oatmeal beige thermal. Now this, she decided, looked like a man who belonged in a park, playing Frisbee with his dog. Ali licked her lips and poured her heart out. Her bassist backed her up for the male vocal.

It's hard to think about what you've wanted
It's hard to think about what you've lost
This doesn't have to be the big get even
This doesn't have to be anything at all

I know you really want to tell me good-bye
I know you really want to be your own girl

Baby you could never look me in the eye
Yeah you buckle with the weight of the words
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my heart around

There's people running 'round loose in the world
Ain't got nothin' better to do
Than make a meal of some bright eyed kid
You need someone looking after you



He hunkered down to the bar and ordered a bottle of Sam Adams lager. He uncapped it and took a long pull, licking a bead of it from his lip. Her stomach fluttered. He had a wonderful mouth. Coffee brown eyes pierced her. Ali felt naked.

So she sang. She danced. She told her story in Stevie’s words because she was at a loss for her own.

I know you really want to tell me goodbye
I know you really want to be your own girl

Baby you could never look me in the eye
Yeah you buckle with the weight of the words
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my heart around

Stop draggin' my heart around


Her set was low-key and featured old favorites such as No Doubt’s “Don’t Speak,” which was soulful and plaintive, sung from the gut. She watched several women in the bar mouthing the words and swaying to it, as though they, too, felt the way she did, possibly recalling old flames and a dream that died. Mick Jagger’s “Beast of Burden” was next after she refreshed herself with another gulp of Coke and some banter with the crowd.

“Folks, I’m enjoying myself up here so much. But I’m gonna let Harry spin a few records for you while I take a breather.” A few people “awwwww’d” in disappointment, but they migrated back to the dance floor when throbbing house music pounded from the speakers.

Her feet pulled her to the bar in a slow saunter. She nodded hellos to a few people on her way back, but Ali only had eyes for one man in the back, nursing a beer and looking awed as she approached.

“Wow,” he murmured. “You were great.”

“You’re here,” she countered, and her smile that was so wicked before became shy. She toyed with her hair and peered up at him through her lashes. “I almost didn’t expect you.”

“I almost didn’t come,” he admitted. “But I needed to get out of the house. I took my work home with me. I drove myself a little nuts.”

“Then you came to the right place for the cure.” Scott pulled up a bar stool next to him. She sat and leaned in toward him as she listened to his words.

“I’ve had a crappy week.”

“What’s the matter, Scott?” she asked softly, keeping her voice low and staying close to him to be better heard over the loud music.

“Everything.”

“Wanna talk about it?” He looked pensive and sighed, making his chest rise and fall. That subtle motion made her want to stroke him, but she reined in the urge.

“No.” He took a sip of his beer, then changed his mind. “Yes.” She reached for him and covered his hand, caressing his knuckles with her thumb. It felt forbidden, touching him.

Ali didn’t care.

“Tell me.”


~0~


The next day:


Hey, Ororo. You haven’t returned my calls! Get back to me. Jean’s voice was slightly confused but cheerful as Ororo reviewed her voice mail messages. Heifer.

How dare she? How in the heck DARE SHE?

All those warnings not to fall for Logan’s lines. All of her denials that she was never involved him. “Wishful thinking,” she said, on Logan’s part.

Luke was absorbed in his Phoenix Wright game and working his way through a one-liter bottle of 7-Up. She watched him fondly and felt a small pang. He was growing up.

“Hey, Luke?” she prodded. He looked up expectantly.

“Yeah, Mom?”

“Don’t grow up to be a player,” she suggested gravely.

“Oooookay.”

“Promise?”

“Yeah, Mom.” He went back to his game.

“I mean it, buddy. You know how to treat girls, right?”

“I can’t hit girls, even when they do something jacked up,” he shrugged over his console.

“That, too. But I’m talking about when you start to like them.”

“Moooommmmm,” he groaned, finally facing her with a sour look. He rolled his eyes.

“I mean it, Lucas! When you like a girl, be honest with her. And just one at a time, okay? I know you think you’re cute. Partly because I think you’re cute,” she added. Ororo reached out and tweaked his ear, making her son grin and bat at her hand. “But no nonsense. Be up front with anyone who you care about, and they’ll be up front with you. Make sure you really like a girl for who she is, and that she isn’t trying to be anyone else.”

“I get it, Mom.”

“Good.” She gave him a smooch that he promptly wiped off when she wasn’t looking. She’d just started setting the table when he interrupted her.

“Hey, Mom, when are we gonna do something with Logan and Laura again?” She froze.

Crap. Crap. Crap. Why, Lord? Ororo’s face grew hot and she felt her temples begin to ache.

“You see Laura all the time at soccer practice,” she argued.

“You could call them and we could go to Chuck E Cheese again, if you want,” he offered gamely.

“You’re too kind to think of me,” she muttered. “If I want, huh?”

“Yeah!” he encouraged cheerfully.

“Luke, I don’t know if…” RIINNNGGG… “Shoot. Hold on, buddy.” RIIINNNGGG… “I’m coming!” she griped as she ran for the handset.

“H’lo?”

“I caught you at home,” T’Challa informed her smugly and without preamble.

“Can’t just say hello like normal people, huh?”

“Since when can’t a king do as he pleases?”

“When he’s talking with his ex-wife and wasting her time. What d’you want, T’Challa?”

“I’d like you to clear a date in your schedule. Specifically, the twenty-sixth.”

“And why would I want to do that, pray tell?” Luke peered over at her while he unscrewed the soda bottle. His expression was slightly worried at the change in his mother’s tone. She smiled to reassure him.

“I’d like to revisit the custody agreement,” he mentioned casually.

“Wait…you WHAT?”

“Lucas is coming of age to learn the ways of his people.”

“His people live here in Queens!!” she snapped.

“Don’t be coy, woman. I want him here more often with me, and with his grandmother. She misses him, and you’ve monopolized him long enough.” Bitterly, Ororo pictured Ramonda smirking over her husband’s shoulder and whispering in his ear.

She probably was…

“You have property here, T’Challa. You can see him whenever you want.”

“I’m exercising my right to have him live with me. I’ve done it your way long enough.” His voice was smooth and held the same note of arrogance he’d always used when they were married. She itched to slap him through the phone.

“My way? You’ve done it my way?” she fumed. “You could’ve told me you were doing it ‘my way’ all this time, T’Challa. Then the marriage, the nagging and turning my life upside down wouldn’t have happened.”

“Then Luke wouldn’t have happened, and you’re not going to win with that logic, Ororo. Feel free to tell me you regret having Luke,” he mused, and she detected an edge to his voice. “It will look nice in the transcripts when we go back to court.”

“Like hell it will, and don’t you put words in my mouth, you motherfucker!” she spat. Luke’s head whipped around and his eyes were wary. Ororo mouthed “I’m sorry” at him before she shooed him from the room. She winced when he stomped down the hall and slammed his bedroom door. Again, she prayed Why, Lord?

“T’Challa, the only qualities of yours that I’ve ever been able to stand from the get-go went straight into Luke and kissed your ass goodbye. I don’t regret having that boy in my life, because he IS my life. You can take that with you to court. Better yet, tell your lawyers to stick it up your royal, arrogant ass!”

“Hostility doesn’t go far with me,” he reminded her. He had the nerve to sound amused. “You could make this easier on yourself.”

“Oh, I could? Feel free to spill how,” she snorted.

“I want Luke back in Wakanda with me. I have business interests here…”

“Damn skippy. That stunt you pulled with my warehouses wasn’t cute. You’re not cute, either, with that nonsense.” Then she added, “And don’t think I won’t bring that to the attention of my lawyer, T’Challa. I demand full disclosure from any vendor who provides contracted services with Raindrops. So I have the right to break that contract.”

“Look how much energy you’re putting into fighting me over your ridiculous little company, when Luke is who you should be fighting for. And that’s not even necessary.”

“What?” Ororo drilled her pinky into her ear as if she heard him wrong.

“You could run your company just as easily from Wakanda as you can here. Rather than be selfish, Ororo, think about Luke and consider moving back to Wakanda.” Ororo’s cheeks felt hot; anger and frustration over his complete nerve roiled in her gut.

Just let it go. Hang up the phone before you have a screaming conniption…

“SELFISH???” Just as Ororo was getting good and lathered up, she heard the familiar feminine tones of her mother-in-law bustling around in the background.

“You heard my son. You never thought T’Challa was good enough for you, when it was the other way around from the moment your mother and I arranged his marriage to you. You’re impulsive, Ororo, and yes, you are selfish. You won’t keep my grandson from me and only offer us a glimpse of him whenever you choose.”

“A glimpse! So you’ll just continue to invade my privacy, show up unannounced, disrupt my business, and upset my son with talk of uprooting him from the school he loves?”

“Lucas will have the finest teachers and tutors money can buy when he moves here,” Ramonda sniffed. Ororo heard T’Challa’s faint sigh in the background this time. His mother had taken over. As usual.

“Then plan to wait about fifteen to twenty years for him to finish school, graduate from college with five degrees and spend his own money on a plane ticket, because that’ll happen way before I ever hand him over to you two. You controlled my life long enough. You won’t control my son’s.”

“He’s his country’s future king.”

“He’s a boy who needs his mother.

“That remains to be seen,” Ramonda pronounced with satisfaction. Just as Ororo was just warming up to pounce, T’Challa took back the phone.

“Lucas would have both of his parents in one place if you weren’t so stubborn.”

“It’s called having free will, and maybe that would’ve been possible if you and your mother hadn’t tried to take mine away.”

“Let me talk to Lucas,” he ordered.

“That’s up to him,” she snarled before cupping her hand around her mouth. “LUKE! Your dad wants to talk to you for a sec.” She repeated her demand when she received no response. “LUKE! PHONE!”

Lucas looked sullen and unhappy when he made his way back out to join his mother.

“Be polite,” Ororo hissed, but she didn’t mean it.

Luke’s end of the conversation was terse and perfunctory. “Uh-huh. Fine. Yeah, I guess. Hi, Grandma. Sorry. Hello, Grandmother. School’s fine, I like my chess club and I’m goalie this year…huh? A new school?” His brows furrowed and drew together. “I like it here. I wanna live with Ma.” Ororo heard the buzz of T’Challa’s voice through the receiver and sighed. Blast that man…

“Here, you can talk to Mom now,” he announced before shoving the phone at Ororo and running back to his room. Ororo grated her teeth and held the handset to her ear.

“Happy now?”

“I’d like to visit with Luke to talk to him in more detail.”

“That’s up to him. And since we’re doing this my way, T’Challa, call my secretary to arrange a time.” With that, she hung up.

In T’Challa’s penthouse, Ramonda crossed her arms and shook her head. “In my day, girls were raised better than that.”

~0~


Jean hummed as she loaded the dishwasher. The phone jangled from its cradle on the wall.

“Who on earth could that be?” She wasn’t expecting any calls from Scott; he already told her he’d be home late, daring her to argue. She’d already run out of steam. “This is Jean?”

“You left me a voice mail,” Warren informed her. She stifled her surprise and curled her hand around the edge of the receiver to muffle her voice.

“What are you doing? You can’t call me at home!” she railed. “Scott already raked me over the coals about-“

“I know. I know, Jeannie.” His sigh was gusty. “I knew something was wrong all week long at work. He just looks through me whenever I stop by to go over the files on a case he’s been helping me on, and he just handed it back to me yesterday, and told me I’m on my own.”

“So now what?” Her voice was as plaintive as a child’s.

“You tell me. What do you plan to do?”

“This isn’t something you just plan. I didn’t wake up today and make out a to-do list that said ‘Shop for toilet paper. Walk the dog. Tell Scott I had an affair’ this morning.” She ran her fingers through her hair, coiling the coppery tresses around her fist.

“Might help if you had a plan, Jeannie. I need to know how to deal with this.”

“What’s the problem? There’s nothing for you to deal with, Warren! All I need to know is this: Are you in love with me?”

The silence between them was thick and charged with tension. It was broken by Warren’s sigh. She could practically hear him choosing his words, and she leaned back against the wall, closing her eyes.

“Go ahead and call me back.”

“Warren!”

“You’ve got my cell.” He hung up before she could pry it out of him, and she wanted to scream.


~0~

She only meant to talk.

“Wow.”

“Yeah.”

“That’s awful, Scott.”

“Story of my life.”

“Don’t say that. You didn’t know Jean had a flexible concept of commitment when you got married. You loved her.” His body felt warm beneath the soft knit of his shirt. She rubbed her cheek against it as they swayed gently together.

They talked endlessly. Ali and Scott’s glasses were empty; she acquiesced to his offer of a drink and added rum to her Coke. They began chatting at the bar, getting caught up with each other’s lives over the past decade. Slowly they made their way to the patio for a breath of fresh air, standing just inside the doorway. Ali shivered slightly after a while, chilled by the night air.

Scott’s arm found its way around her shoulders, and her body betrayed her, settling too easily into his warmth.

“We shouldn’t be doing this.” She faced him. “I’m an idiot. You shouldn’t be here. I shouldn’t have asked you to come.”

“Why not?” He looked taken aback, but he didn’t let go. She didn’t move away.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right.”

“We’re two old friends having a drink and enjoying some music. And you owe me a dance.”

“What?” she cried, incredulous. “Scott, we can’t…”

“Ah, but you can!” he cajoled. His grin was smug, bringing out a dimple she never noticed he had before. “Ororo beat your socks off at Dance Dance Revolution, so you owe it to yourself to have a rematch.”

“Ororo’s not here, so that hardly seems fair.”

“Okay. She loses by default. But you’re still here.” His logic was too sound.

“I want to,” she explained. She faced him, backing away just enough to be heard over the volume of the music as it drifted outside. “But you’re Jean’s husband. Not boyfriend. You’re a conscientious adult, Scott, but you’re not a free man yet. I don’t want you to make a mistake that might make you feel guilty. You’re a good person.” His hands slipped from her upper arms, but he took her hands instead, holding them between them. He was intrigued by her hands, she mused. He stroked her long, slender fingers that had slightly calloused fingertips and brutally short nails from playing guitar. “Dancing with me might not be a good idea.”

“Because you’re worried about me feeling guilty, or because you really don’t want to dance with me?” he pried, and then he looked into her eyes. She saw the strength in his face that she’d always identified him by, but also pain and overwhelming need. He was uncertain of himself. And he was uncertain of how she felt about him.

“Because I’m afraid of what will happen between us if ““ Ali stopped herself.

“Go on,” he replied softly. She closed her eyes and squeezed his fingers. His hands were strong and warm and felt so good.

“No. That’s it. Nothing can happen between us. It would hurt Rachel and Nate, and I can’t betray Jean.” Even if we don’t get along because she’s a shallow, self-serving hose beast…

“There’s already something between us, but I’ll let you decide what it is, if and when you decide the time is right. I have feelings for you, Alison. I don’t know where they came from out of the blue. I don’t know how it happened. I don’t know why it happened. But I can’t stop thinking about you, and damn it, will you please give me one dance for the road?” His voice rose on a petulant note, and the beginnings of a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

That’s how they ended up here. The DJ’s set was winding down to a close, and he announced last call for the dollar shot special before Ali was due to close out her number.

Ali and Scott felt a heavy sense of irony over the song that moved them around the floor; Madonna’s torch singer’s wail that “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore” cut Ali like a knife. Scott seemed unmoved by the song, but he slowly eased her closer until his hands were no longer politely placed at her hips; his arms twined themselves around her waist, and his caress along her back was greedy. She drank in his male scent mingled with his soap and the detergent in his shirt; he breathed in the scent of her shampoo from her soft, silky hair.

“I can’t kiss you,” she warned him. “Not tonight. Not yet.” She drew back and looked longingly into his face, hating how sexy his mouth looked. His lips were thin and chiseled, and Scott had perfect teeth. Damn it… “When you sort out what you want to do with your marriage, and when things don’t feel so raw, we can talk about it. You can still talk to me. I just can’t offer you anything else.” That guilty little voice of reason in her head nagged that she shouldn’t even be offering him that much, courtesy of the wedding band on his finger. Her heart told her voice of reason to shut her piehole.

“I’ve been trying to sort out my marriage for months,” he replied despondently. “But you’re right. Everything’s so raw that I’m bleeding.” He knew she was right.

It was going to be so much harder, knowing how it felt to hold him, even surrounded by so many people. Ali’s heart pounded so hard and fast she felt dizzy, matching the pulse in Scott’s neck pressed against her temple. For the moment, they had a reprieve. Ali would wake up and go to school the next morning to lead a group of forty students through a Souza march. Scott would be up to his neck in reports, records and transcripts, buttoned back up in his suit, wearing his game face. They wouldn’t be too people wondering what could have been.

For the sake of her sanity, Ali knew that was it.

“I just won’t be a mistake that you make if you decide to stay with Jean.”

“Staying with Jean may be the biggest mistake I can make, Ali.”

“I’ll leave that up to you to decide,” Ali told him gently, “without any interference from me.”

“Ali,” Scott asked.

“Uh-huh?”

“Do you have feelings for me?”

“Should I? No. That doesn’t mean I don’t.” He took cold comfort in her honesty. Ali lost herself in his heartbeat.

“Thanks for the dance, Alison.”

“Good night, Scott.” Ali’s body protested the absence of his against her. Her fingers slipped reluctantly from his hand as he turned to go. By the time he had his coat on by the front door, Ali had already resumed her place behind the mike. She picked up her guitar, already out of its case and propped against the speaker, and she started to play a few chords of a song that always made her moody, but it wouldn’t leave her alone.

God, I feel like hell tonight
Tears of rage I cannot fight
I'd be the last to help you understand
Are you strong enough to be my man?

Nothing's true and nothing's right
So let me be alone tonight
Cause you can't change the way I am
Are you strong enough to be my man?

Lie to me
I promise I'll believe
Lie to me
But please don't leave



She was glad he’d already left before she made it to the second chorus. By the time the bartender announced last call, Ali was heartsick.