Bait by natadunn
Summary: The X-Men go undercover to investigate a new threat...however, they may have bitten off more than even they can chew.
Categories: NC-17 Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Adult language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 45897 Read: 31088 Published: 10-03-09 Updated: 01-28-10

1. If it Must Be Done.... by natadunn

2. Tread Lightly... by natadunn

3. Things that make you go by natadunn

4. Past is Present..... by natadunn

5. Careful What Ypu Ask For... by natadunn

6. The Unexpected.... by natadunn

7. Challenges... by natadunn

8. Best laid Plans.... by natadunn

9. On the same page.... by natadunn

10. And away we go!. by natadunn

11. Um....information gathering? by natadunn

12. Best of intentions… by natadunn

13. Understanding... by natadunn

14. Preparations.... by natadunn

15. Necessary Adjustments... by natadunn

16. Ready to rumble.... by natadunn

17. Found Out?.... by natadunn

18. About Damn Time... by natadunn

If it Must Be Done.... by natadunn
He didn’t like it. He didn’t like it one bit. Logan ground his teeth together while simultaneously clenching and unclenching his fists as he took in his surroundings. His senses were in overdrive and his hackles were up. Way up. Logan could hear various heartbeats all around him”hear them individually. If that wasn’t enough to set him on edge, he could smell each bub in the place. All drunk. All sweating. All lusting after the same thing.

Try as he might, Logan found it increasingly hard to keep up his appearance of cool, calm, and collected. He tried to distract himself long enough to calm down and keep from blowing the plan. His mind drifted back to what brought them all there…



Earlier that day...

“….so, as you can see, it requires a certain…finesse, and just the right amount of persuasion. Go. Tread carefully, my X-Men.”

Professor Xavier’s words seemed harmless. The mission was easy enough”infiltrate the sleazy underworld of the local ‘gentleman’s clubs’ and find out who was enticing mutants to work there, kidnapping them, then letting them loose back into the world with murderous intentions. Shortly after they killed their targets, the mutants died horrific deaths, usually as a result of their own powers. Easy mission. In fact, the hardest part of the plan was getting the “bait” to cooperate.

“Absolutely not,” Ororo stated, punctuated with the raise of a perfectly arched eyebrow.

“Ororo, it’s obvious you’re the best member of the team to send in for this mission.” Jean would not relent in her insistence.

“Is that so, Jean?”

Uh-oh, the question was loaded with, as Logan would say, “a crap-ton” of implications. Jean appeared not to catch on to the ominous tone Ororo had taken.

“Of course, ‘Ro, you have all the qualities to pull this off. You’re naturally graceful, you do teach the dance class here. We need your indomitable calm, quick decision-making and”“ Scott jumped in quickly and attempted to back his fiancé up by listing all reasons why Ororo should take lead. But she was just as quick on the draw.

“And I’m not Jean. Isn’t that what you are implying, Scott? Better to have those patrons”and I use that term as loosely as possible”drooling over me than your fiancé, right?”

Logan shook his head as he watched ol’ One-Eye walk squarely into that blow. He coulda told the bum that was where ‘Ro was headed. He decided to keep that information to himself and he watched the guy squirm in his own skin while trying to back-pedal out of this one.

“…W-w-w-well, no, that’s n-n-n-not what I was saying at all. I was just trying to list the reasons you are perfect for this mission and-” The boy was drowning.

“”and ya got one helluva rack, ‘Ro,” Logan interjected. One-Eye would owe him after this. Big time.

This time, he was the recipient of one of her trademark eyebrow lifts.

“Excuse me, Logan?” Although her exterior appeared calm, she was fuming underneath.

“Oror-,” he began, a little miffed that he was actually affected by her ire.

“Oh, so now you know my name, now that I’m to be placated so that I may agree to the terms of this mission, Logan? Whatever happened to ‘Storm’? Or ‘Weather Witch’? You never refer to me by my birth name. Not unless you want something,” she stated matter-of-factly, narrowing her eyes.

She had him there, and he hadn’t even realized until she spoke it aloud. As he began to think about it, he could count on one hand the number of times he called her by her real name--not codename--and they were all when he needed to persuade her to do something.

Damn.

Logan sighed.

“Yer right, ‘Ro. I’m an ass. But I’m also male”all male. Which means I know what guys like. And they like-” He began his defense, only to be cut off by Ororo.

“Like what-- the exotic? The strange and unfamiliar? Am I to be bartered like some piece of property, Logan? Really, I would have expected better from you,” she stated icily.

Logan, Jean, and Scott all looked to the Professor for assistance, He gave none.

*I trust you will all resolve this yourselves,* he said telepathically before he wheeled himself from the War Room.

“ Look, ‘Ro”or Storm”or whatever you want me to call ya, I understand ya don’t wanna feel like some piece of eye-candy for a bunch o’pervs. But it just so happens that’s what this mission calls for. You and I talk on occasion, and ya know how I feel about being used as a target or bait, especially with Weapon X. But…” His tone turned sincere as he hoped to make a breakthrough. “Ya know I wouldn’t ask “especially on behalf of One-Eye”if it wasn’t important. Some fucker’s taking advantage of mutants, ‘Ro. Young girls, jus’ like Jubes , Dazzler, Kitty and Rogue...and using them like pawns in a fuckin’ chess game.”

“Logan. Language,” she chided, but he could see her resolve weakening.

Jean was almost stealthy as she jumped in, “ ‘Ro, we wouldn’t ask such a thing if it wasn’t necessary. But, as Scott and Logan said, you have the internal and external qualities this particular mission requires. Besides, I’ll be doing a psi-scan on the club to try and weed out our bad guys.”

“Yeah, and Logan and I will be there with you and jump in if things start to go south. Come on, Ororo, we need you on this one,” Scott chimed in.

Ororo was pensive. She hated pensive. Pensive was for those too weak to make a decision and stand by it. And Goddess knew she was anything but weak.

“And no, we don’t think yer weak, ‘Ro. Hell it takes more balls than every male in this school has to do what we’re asking ya’ ta do. But it’s what we do as X-Men. Protect those who can’t protect themselves and deal with the bad guys.” Logan added the final plea, hopeful that it would tip the scales.

Ororo said nothing as she sat on the edge of Professor Xavier’s desk and sighed in resignation. Or was it determination? Her bosom rose and fell ever so slightly on her crossed arms. Time seemed to drag on as she looked at the three other members of her team. She gave one long, slow, exhalation before looking them each in the eye and holding their collective gaze.

“If it must be done, then I will do it.”



Now…

Currently, Logan sat at the bar of the seedy joint, aptly named “Heavenly Bodies,” watching inconspicuously from under the brim of his beloved Stetson. He spied Scott across the expanse of the club, looking every bit as uncomfortable as he thought he would. Try as he may, Scooter would never fit into a place like this. Logan had practically had to beat him over the head to get him to realize that patrons of this type of establishment didn’t normally wear Docker’s and have an ascot tucked in their breast pocket. So, Scott had conceded and now donned khakis and a nicely pressed polo.

Boy Scout, Logan thought with a chuckle to himself. That boy’s wound tighter than a friggin’ bedspring coil.

*Logan, stop mocking Scott. He’s not as reserved as you think.*

*Jeanie, get outta my head. I’m tryin’ to work here.*

*Sorry. I was doing a Psi-sweep to pick up anybody with less than honorable intentions.*

*Jeanie, it’s a strip-joint. The only thoughts in here are those with “less than honorable intentions”.*
Logan shook his head as he had the telepathic conversation with Jean.

* You know what I mean, Logan.*

*I know, just teasin’ ya. Me and Scooter are looking out for “Ro. You just relax out there in the ‘Bird and alert us when the perv comes.*

*Aye-aye, Captain.
* Jean made sure Logan could feel the sarcasm dripping off her every word.

“Logan,” Although Scott whispered the words under his breath, he knew Logan would hear him across the wide expanse of the club, “‘Ro should be coming up soon.”

“Gentlemen, grab your seats and make sure you are focused on this next act coming to the stage,” the emcee began over the blaring loudspeaker. “This dancer is new to Heavenly Bodies and they say she is baaadddd…” again, another dramatic pause for effect. “I haven’t had the pleasure to meet his new gal, but if she lives up to her stage name, she may be the next star, gentlemen. So…without further adieu, let’s give a rowdy “Heavenly Bodies” welcome to…Dream!!!!”

Logan growled low in his throat at the thunderous applause that followed.

Friggin’ pricks. Not that he didn’t enjoy a trip to what he termed “Flesh Parties” to watch pretty girls do their thing, but these guys were like carnivores awaiting the next piece of meat. Then he smelled it. Fear. No, now it was gone. Or was it ever there? Logan slowly turned on his stool to locate the source. Eventually, he wound up facing the stage and had yet to find the owner of the scent.

Whoever the hell it was sure got over it fast, he thought. Somehow he had failed to notice how the lights had been dimmed, and now a lone spotlight shone on the dark curtain at the end of the stage. Even with his enhanced sense of sight, Logan could only faintly make out the feminine silhouette resting behind it. He found himself mesmerized by the slight rise and fall of her shoulders; it was as if she was trying to will herself to get through this routine. He sniffed the air again, looking for that trace of fear he had smelled earlier.

Sandalwood, Rain, and Vanilla…..that’s ‘Ro. Logan had memorized every scent within the walls of Xavier’s mansion and knew this particular scent belonged to the resident Weather Goddess. Somehow it always soothed him to smell her scent, although he could never figure why.

Goddess. I guess I could see why she wasn’t all gung-ho to take this mission on. Not exactly somethin’ a goddess would do, he mused, then frowned as he realized what it must’ve taken for her to concede.

Damn.

Almost imperceptibly, the figure behind the curtain gave a nod of her head and the music began to play. Slow, seductive beats began to pulsate through the club as Danzig’s “She Rides” played on.

The dark curtains pulled away slowly to reveal powder blue toenails in what had to be the sexiest pair of strappy heels ever. As the lead singer’s gruff voice began, the spotlight moved up to reveal those strappy heels belonged to a pair of mile-long, mocha colored legs.

Damn, talk about yer’ stairway to heaven, Logan thought to himself. He felt a slight twinge of guilt gnaw at his gut for looking at his teammate so lasciviously.

Those forever-long gorgeous legs were topped off by the shortest and sexiest pair of white leather boy shorts known to man. Logan, and he was sure every male”hell, even a few females”followed the spotlight as it traversed its way up that delectable body. A tight six-pack of abs gave way to a more than ample bosom, barely contained by a white leather bikini top. The spotlight continued its journey up a graceful swan neck, full kissable lips with just a hint of gloss and shimmer, strong, aristocratic nose, eyes so blue they seemed cerulean, perfectly manicured snow-covered eyebrows, and”

What the hell…blue eyes? Logan suddenly found himself transfixed on blue eyes he was sure he had never seen before. He would definitely remember those eyes. Definitely. Once he had mentally shaken himself, he then focused his gaze on the whole package, and damn, what a package. Ororo had begun her routine and was slowly rocking her hips in tune with the song and methodically stalking further onto the stage. Aside from the music pulsing, the entire club had become eerily quiet. Logan couldn’t even hear the pervs breathing. It was if they were all simultaneously holding their breaths in fear that if they breathed this...vision…would disappear. Then again, Logan was sure his own breathing”and heart, for that matter”had ceased to function, for when he returned his gaze back to the face of the angel on the stage, he found her cerulean eyes were locked on him. Logan swallowed thickly and found he had to adjust himself in his seat to get comfortable. He couldn’t look away as those blue eyes pinned him in his spot as the routine went on. The only time those eyes looked away from him was when Ororo turned and threw her head back to let her snow white hair cascade down her back and she suggestively rolled her hips to the music. Once she turned around, she locked her eyes on him again and neared the pole in the middle of the stage. She sauntered to the front and leaned back on the pole and began to slowly thrust her hips forward with the downbeat of the song. Logan felt the sudden urge to throw down his beloved Stetson in an effort to let the heat that was forming in his body seep out through the top of his head.

Damn, ‘Ro. Who knew you were this ….this…..

*Sexy? Hot? She always has been. What’re you, blind?*

*Dammit, Jeanie! Get outta my head!*


Logan could hear Jean’s giggle resonate through his head. Even so, his eyes never left the scene on the stage. He made sure his psi-blocks were firmly in place, just in case. Sweat. Lust. Logan’s stomach clenched as his senses were overwhelmed with the scents all at once. His eyes were still focused on the beauty before him, but he could hear Scooter’s muffled “Damn.”

That boy better make sure his Psi-blocks are in place or Jeannie’s gonna turn’im to mush.

The only indication that the song was ending was when Ororo slowed her ministrations and took a graceful bow before turning on her heels and walking away from the stage, her head held high as if she hadn’t just planted some long, wet dreams in every man’s head.

Logan’s senses were again assaulted as the club erupted again in thunderous applause and cat calls once everyone realized the routine was over.

“Wel- **ahem** well, Gents, let’s hear it again for the new queen of this joint….Dream!!!!!!” The emcee regained his ability to speak and urged the patrons to once again applaud the woman who’d just left more than a lasting impression on them. The applause continued for another two minutes before Scott approached Logan, worry etched on his stoic face.

“Jean’s picked something up,” he confessed.

“What?” Logan asked.

*Logan, there’s a man looking to purchase Ororo for his private….collection.*

Logan swore he could feel his incisors extending at Jean’s words.

*The fuck do ya mean, ‘private collection,’ Jeannie?*

Jean could literally feel the hairs on her arms and neck rise as Logan asked his question with more calm than he had a right to. Too calm.

*He just approached the club owner and presented him with a check with a lot of zero’s to…buy ‘Ro.*

*Jeannie, where’s ‘Ro?*
Logan didn’t know why, but his hackles were rising.


…………..

*Dammit, Jeanie!*

*Calm down, Logan! I’m trying to get a read on her….she’s in the dressing rooms down the back hall, third door on the right.*


Without so much as a word, he nodded for Scott to follow as he headed in the direction she gave.

*Scott? Logan?*

*Yes, Jean?*

*Yeah?*

*Be careful. She’s pissed.*
Tread Lightly... by natadunn
Five Minutes Later…

“Sorry guys, no entrance. Dancers only,” the brick wall that served as club security spoke in his deep baritone, arms crossed firmly over his chest.

Damn meatheads, think all they need to do is shoot steroids in their ass cheeks and cross their arms to scare folks off. Logan had an internal discussion with himself.

Scott appeared at a loss why his story didn’t go over well. In his mind, he did believe Ororo to be his sister, so what if they didn’t exactly share the same physical traits? Logan rocked on his heels as Scott once again tried to explain that he and Ororo were adopted by the same family. The human wall merely raised his dark eyebrow over his midnight black shades.

What kind of ass wears shades inside a dark club, at night, no less? Logan thought, then looked to his right to see Scott with his trademark ruby shades. Never mind.

“Look, I told you once already. Now fuck off before I get mad, boys,” the bouncer threatened, even going so far as to slide his shades down his nose to reveal his eyes. Yellow eyes. At the same moment, an equally statured man approached. This man wore no glasses, but only by choice. His eyes glowed an eerie red and he graced the two men wanting access with a malevolent glare.

Jesus, F. Christ, just how many mutants did this place employ? Logan thought dryly.

“Having trouble here, Animal?” the newcomer asked his partner.

“Nothing I won’t have fun handling, just two pricks wanting some alone time with that hot piece, Dream,” the man apparently known as Animal replied.

The second man actually had the nerve to lick his lips. “Who wouldn’t? I was planning on hittin’ that very soon.”

Fuck this.

Logan moved so quick, Scott had no time to stop him. He soon had both bouncers off the floor and pinned to the wall behind them both, each hand sporting two unsheathed claws which happened to be precariously placed under their necks.

“Now, me and my friend here are gonna go see our gal pal, Dream. See, she comes with her own bodyguards. So the two of ya’ can take the night off, or I can put ya’ on permanent vacation….comprende?” Logan all but growled his words and emphasized his point, literally, by simultaneously unleashing his third claw on both hands mere millimeters from their throbbing Adam’s apples.

Scott had to fight back the grin that was begging to surface.

“So, what’s it gonna be, boys?” Logan asked with more humor in his voice than he had a right to.

Scott surmised their answers to be “yes” as he watched the color drain from both their faces. He actually began to feel bad for them.

“I believe that’s a ‘yes,’ Logan. Look guys, we don’t mean to strong arm you, but Dream really is a good friend of ours and we just want to make sure no one gives her a hard time. She has a…habit of drawing attention,” Scott felt compelled to tell them. It made no sense for them to completely alienate themselves if this mission lasted longer than intended. They may need some allies down the road.

Logan slowly lowered them to the ground, making sure to slowly retract his claws in case they were feeling frisky. Fortunately that was not the case.

“No problem, guys. So you’re mutants, too?” the second man asked, rubbing his sore throat.

Logan responded with a “duh” facial expression.

“Look, we didn’t mean any harm. It’s just me and Animal usually have to beat heads in to get people to understand. Humans love to try and …tame… female mutants,” he continued.

Scott’s face lost its humor and became deathly stoic.

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah. The last new chick, Melanie, they were beating down the doors to get to her ‘cause the dumbass emcee announced she was “fresh, sweet, mutant meat.” Those animals were salivating at the chance to plow’er…”

Logan raised an eyebrow at the image.

“...by the way, my name’s John. And this is Adam, aka Animal.” Both bouncers extended their hands to the X-Men. Scott and Logan shook hands and introduced themselves, failing to mention their true intentions at the club.

“So, ya know Dream’s a mutant, huh?” Logan asked.

“They don’t make human women like her, if ya known what I mean,” Adam replied.

The other three men gave knowing nods at his comment while he gave an appreciative low whistle under his breath.

“Look, guys, we don’t know how long Dream will be working here, but could you help us keep an eye out for her? You know us mutants, got to look out for each other.” Scott decided it best to enlist their help early.

“Sure thing, we’ll make sure no harm comes to that brickhouse. I met her earlier and she’s nice, just really quiet,” Adam replied with boyish smile. Clearly, he was taken by the Weather Goddess’ charm and beauty.

Seemingly satisfied with the turn of events and growing a little impatient with the heart to heart they appeared to be having, Logan cleared his throat. That worked in reminding their two new friends of their previous goal.

“Sorry, down this hall, third door on the right.” John indicated with a jerk of his head.

Logan grunted in response and made his way into the corridor. He could faintly hear Scott’s reply of “Thanks,” before he heard the shuffle which indicated he was following him. Logan arrived at the third door and hesitated before knocking. All of a sudden he felt a strange feeling in his gut. Nerves? What tha hell?!

Scott sensed his hesitation, “Logan, what is it?”

“Nuthin’, just wanna make sure she’s decent ‘fore we go in,” he answered. It was a lie and he knew it. But why did he really hesitate? He never hesitated.

“She already knows we’re coming. Jean informed her before we set down the hall,” Scott replied, looking at Logan as if he should have known that.

Scott raised his hand to knock, only to have the door swing open before he could strike its surface. Ororo stood, in all her glory, wearing a pair of tight fitting jeans and low cut, v-neck, three quarter length sleeve cotton tee shirt. And bare feet. Feet Logan couldn’t stop staring at.

In all the years of us living at the mansion, I don’t think I’ve ever seen her bare feet. Damn shame, too. Shaking the errant thoughts from his mind, Logan pushed the door open further to indicate he and Scott wished to enter. Ororo stepped aside to allow them entrance, her demeanor calm as usual. Scott cleared his throat as if he was suddenly unsure of himself. Logan tested the air and gave Scott a weird look as he could literally smell the emotions coming off the man. Apprehension…and …fear? He decided to interject and save the guy the trouble.

“Nice work, “Ro.” What? That ain’t what I meant ta say. How’s about what the hell was that routine out there?! Logan didn’t know why he was so tense all of a sudden. And just why the hell was Ororo the target of his anger?

“Uh, ‘Ro….is everything alright? Jean said you were…tense afterwards?” Scott treaded lightly.

No shit, Scooter. She just had to shake her ass”and a fine ass it is”in front of a club of assholes ogling her. Two of whom happened to be us. Logan snorted at Scott’s question.

Ororo seemed impatient as she returned to packing her bags and appeared to be searching for something around her small dressing room.

“’Ro, ya lookin’ fer somethin’?” Logan offered.

Ororo sighed as she continued her search, “Yes, my shoes I brought to wear out of here. I believe one of my…co-workers has chosen to relieve me of them.”

Well, that answered the barefoot question.

“…and while I am not normally opposed to going barefoot, I try to reserve that for my loft or times when I am riding the winds. Although they try to accommodate, this place still feels…” she trailed off.

“Dirty?” Logan finished for her, his nose turned as he surveyed her room.

Although her moods rarely registered with his senses, Logan could smell the tension rolling off her in waves.

“Ya could always catch a ride outta here on my back.” He attempted to relieve some of the stress in the room. That succeeded in a short smile from Ororo.

“Thank you, Logan, but I am fully capable of leaving of my own volition. I suppose I shall have to don these…shoes from my….performance,” she stated tightly.

Once she had secured the shoes in question to her feet, Ororo grabbed her duffle and headed for the door, Scott and Logan following silently. Logan was immediately assaulted with the stench of a cheap cigar, grease, and sweat. Lots of sweat.

“Wait up, Dream.” A short, stodgy man with a bad polyester suit and even worse comb over approached Ororo from a side hallway. “There’s a gent out there who wants to make you and me rich.” The gleam in his eye was unmistakable.

Ororo merely responded with a look of pure disinterest.

“That’s why I like you, Dream, not one for useless words. But you sure as hell let your body do all the talking for you. And that body has just talked me and you into a very lucrative business proposal,” he continued eagerly, his eyebrows wagging.

Logan felt a growl rise up in his throat and escape before he could stop it. If the man heard it, he never gave a hint. Logan was shocked, however, when Ororo turned slightly to place a hand on his forearm and met his eyes briefly before turning to again face “Mr. Sleazeball Extraordinaire.”

“Look, babe, this guy gave me his card and says he’ll pay six figures if you sign a contract with his adult entertainment company. I told him you’d love to-” His next breath was cut off as Ororo silenced him with a look of pure indignance.

“No one speaks for me, but me. No one.” Both Scott and Logan winced as they heard the icy undertones of her voice.

That even succeeded in cowing the greaseball in front of them.

“Aw, Darling, I’m sorry, but I thought you woulda jumped the offer and”“ He tried to reason with her.

“Mr. Veasy, your assessment was wholly premature as well as incorrect. And you can inform the gentleman of my displeasure at his request and inform him that I would most dutifully have to decline. And it would be most appreciated if you could refrain from referring to me as ‘Darling’,” she explained in a deadly voice.

“…..” Veasy appeared both shocked and confused at her words; mostly confused, because he had never heard anyone speak like that.

“That means tell’im no, bub, she ain’t interested,” Logan supplied.

Noticing the men behind the woman for the first time, Veasy looked at them questioningly.

“These are my brother and friend, Mr. Veasy. They are simply making sure I arrive home unharmed. Until tomorrow evening, I must bid you good night, sir.” Ororo stated regally while brushing past Veasy on her way out the club’s back entrance.

Logan and Scott both chuckled as they followed her out the door. Veasy was left behind, staring at her retreating entourage in disbelief, and all he could say was “Damn, what a woman.”
Things that make you go by natadunn
X-Mansion, next day…

Following the debriefing of the previous night’s mission, Xavier announced he had procured a loft in the city for Ororo which would serve as her cover until the mission was over. Scott made sure to announce his confusion as to why Ororo would turn down the man’s request to purchase her services when he was clearly the one who was taking mutants and turning them into mindless killers. Jean made a sound of impatience at this.

“Scott, you can’t give them want they want from the start. You have to dangle the carrot a little further out front.”

Scott gave no indication that he had the faintest idea of what his fiancé was saying.

“Scooter, there ain’t nuthin’ a red-blooded man wants more than to chase and wear down the will of the woman that turned him down,” Logan answered in an impatient tone to match Jean’s.

“And what ‘Ro did was present him with the greatest challenge of all.”

As if the light bulb had finally come on, Scott’s eyes widened with full understanding.

All through the debriefing and simplification for Scooter, Logan noticed how quiet Ororo had been. As if it was possible, it seemed she was trying to blend into the serene landscape of Xavier’s office.

“….so you will find all documents you need in the briefcase, your apartment and car keys, and forged identification for your temporary identity. Everything that should corroborate your back story,” Xavier finished.

Ororo nodded before gracefully rising from her perch on the arm of the plush leather sofa to retrieve the briefcase and exit the office.

Damn, has she always been this graceful? Logan thought.

“Was it just me, or did ‘Ro seem unusually quiet?” Logan asked.

“Ororo is quiet by nature, Logan,” Jean offered.

“Uh, sure. Gotta go,” he added before making a quick exit, leaving Scott, Jean , and the Professor to their strategic planning. He didn’t operate on plans well, he was much better at improvising. Logan sniffed the air and followed the scents of Sandalwood, Rain, and Vanilla into the elevator and down to the lower bowels of the mansion. Logan ended up at the entrance to the Danger Room and could hear the telltale signs of a battle inside. Knowing when to leave someone alone to deal with their frustrations in the Danger Room, Logan sat himself on the floor at the opposite wall to the entrance. He’d simply wait her out. They needed to talk.



Two hours later…..

Logan awoke with a start from his position on the hard steel floor. Definitely not a good place to nap, bub. He looked up to find Ororo standing in the entrance to the danger Room, her hands hanging loosely at her sides. Logan gave her quick but thorough once over as he rose to his feet. Comfortable sneakers, a short pair of the Xavier Institute’s standard-issue, grey cotton shorts, and formfitting black lycra tank top ” both of which bore the trademark “X,” and all that gorgeous hair pulled back into a high ponytail. Damn, how had he not noticed this powerhouse of a woman before?

Ya’ve always noticed, bub, but it’s no use touching the goods when all ya do is break ’em.

Logan was shocked at his mind’s blunt reply. Sure, he had noticed how gorgeous Ororo was the instant they met, and Jeannie had even tried to persuade him to pursue ‘Ro before, during, and after his brief pursuit of her. He’d always said that she wasn’t his type, that he “didn’t do frigid Ice Queens.” But he knew the truth, Ororo was one of the few relationships”if he could call it that”Logan could claim, and he valued that more than scratching some curious itch he had. While it was not quite a friendship, there was a forged respect and admiration of each other, their mission, and nature. Logan often felt calmer just being in her presence because there was no pretense. She understood the beast he kept at bay on a daily basis, and he understood the tight control she kept over her powers when it would be so much easier to let go. By the time he returned his focus on the woman in front of him, she was entering the elevator down the hall. She’d always moved so damn quietly, as if she were one with the winds she rode.

Damn, how does walk off without me noticing? I notice everything!

Logan had to practically run to catch the elevator before the doors shut. Ororo made no move to assist him. Logan made sure to stand near the far wall of the elevator so as not to set off Ororo’s claustrophobia by getting too close in the smaller space. Her facial expression gave no indication of awareness that he had entered the elevator car.

“I have no wish to discuss it, Logan,” she said, surprising him.

“’Ro-”

“Does anyone have any concept of ‘I don’t want to talk about it?’” she replied curtly.

Damn.

“Look, I just wanted to know if you were okay…and I wanted to ask you about yer eyes,” he trudged on.

Sighing as the elevator doors opened to the third level of the mansion and as she exited the car, Ororo continued down the hall to her loft.

“I am fine, Logan, and my eyes have always been this color. I usually wear brown contacts so as not to startle people too much. However, as you so eloquently stated, I happen to be ‘exactly what the doctor ordered for the mission.’ I figured I may as well give them and you all the ‘exotic temptress’ you wanted me to be, thus the need to flaunt my true eye color.” She gave him a tired look before unlocking her door. “Have you any further inquiries?”

If there was one thing Logan understood, it was the need for time and space to sort through one’s own issues before one could even hope to reveal it to another person.

“Nah, just wanted ya to know I’m here if ya ever need to talk…and let ya know yer eyes are beautiful. Ya should never hide’em. Never,” Logan spoke his last word with all the conviction he felt, then turned and headed towards the elevator to take him to the lower levels of the house where his room was located.

Ororo entered her loft quietly, leaning against her door as she slowly closed it. She cast her crystal blue eyes toward her skylight before expelling a long, slow breath.

“Thank you, Logan.”

Two weeks later…

Ororo had settled into her temporary home in the loft on the upper east side of the city. She made a mental note to thank Charles for choosing an alias she could live with”N’Dare Agrotera. N’Dare for her mother, Charles was always so sentimentally considerate. Agrotera was a name often affiliated with the Greek goddess, Artemis, and while she didn’t particular ascribe to a particular faith, Ororo could appreciate the famed Goddess of the hunt. Currently, she sat reviewing her notes of the previous two weeks’ developments in the mission, however, there wasn’t much to read. Nothing of any substance had occurred during that time. The ‘gentleman’ whom offered to procure her services on her first night had yet to make any further advances, although he was present at the club every night she worked. Scott made no attempt to hide his displeasure at the slow pace at which the mission was moving, and made sure to voice this at each debriefing. Ororo could always anticipate when he would interject it into their meetings and exactly what he would say.

“Well, maybe you guys were wrong about baiting him. Maybe we missed our one opportunity to nab the guy.”

And Jean would always follow with an equally rational explanation why patience would win out in the end. Jean. I can always count on Jean to have my back, even when I do not wish her to. Ororo smiled slightly at the thought. Then she turned to her open balcony window as a cool night breeze blew past her curtains. Sighing, she closed her notes and relaxed in her seat.

“Do come in, Logan. Or do you plan to lurk out there all night?” she asked.

Initially, there was no reply, and, if she didn’t know better, she would assume no one was there outside her window. Then she saw a shadow makes its way across the window. Logan landed without a sound onto the balcony.

One would think with an adamantium skeleton, he would make more noise, Ororo mused.

“Damn, ‘Ro, I think yer senses might rival mine. How’d ya’ know I was there?” Logan asked.

“Logan, I have always known you were there, and have known you have perched outside my window every night since I began staying here,” she replied matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, but…how? Not to brag or nuthin, but I was a trained assassin, and stealth comes naturally to me.” He didn’t even bother to dispute her statement.

Ororo imperceptibly rolled her eyes and cross the short distance to the icebox to retrieve a bottled water for herself and Molson’s for Logan. He eyed the bottle curiously as she placed it on the kitchen island.

“Like I said, I’ve always known you were there. It was only a matter of when you would reveal yourself.”

Resigned to the fact that she would never reveal her tracking skills, Logan took the bottle with a nod of his head and downed half its contents in one swig. Truthfully, he did stand guard on her building’s rooftop every night. He only did so just in case one of the pervs from the club had a notion to follow her home. At least that was what he told himself. He hated to admit it, but the longer the mission went on, the more he wanted it to end. Night after night, ‘Ro went onstage and always gave one hell of a show, and the clientele had been growing exponentially since her debut. And these guys were growing hornier and bolder by the day. Logan felt sick to his stomach each night after being subjected to their unbridled lust and various other scents. But, he always remained inside the club until her last set, and her eyes always found him”and only him”while she was on the stage. They had never spoken of why she always did that. Logan decided there was no time like the present to address that little fact.

“Ororo?” Logan asked.

For a moment Logan wasn’t sure she heard him as she did not respond but merely eyed him with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t think I’ve ever heard you address me by my given name, at least not without some condition,” she spoke softly.

“Yeah, about that…sorry. I avoid saying it cuz’ I feel like I’d butcher it. ‘Ro’s a lil’ easier, ya know?”

“Then you have no reason to worry. When you speak my name, it sounds almost…reverent,” she continued in her dulcet tone.

“I could say the same. Ya’ make me sound like a halfway respectable gent when ya say my name,” Logan responded.

“I can assure it’s not any endeavor on my part. You are a man of great honor, Logan.”

There was a beat of comfortable silence between the two.

“So…Ororo, I was just wonderin why you always look at me when you’re onstage at the club,” Logan began, hesitant to address it. “I mean, not that I mind, or anything, but…ya know…” he didn’t finish, suddenly unsure if he should even broach the subject.

Ororo took a long drink from her bottled water. Logan began to think she would ignore his question all together.

“I trust you, Logan. Often, I have survived many missions by finding your eyes during the fray. Then, and only then, am I assured that we still have a fighting chance.”

Logan was at a loss for words, not quite sure how to interpret her explanation. He sat, wide-eyed and frozen in his spot.

Ororo continued, inwardly thrilled at stumping the unflappable Wolverine. “As you say, my friend, you are the best there is at what you do. If ever we encounter a mission that has you so overwhelmed that I cannot find your calm stare across the battlefield, then I truly know things have…how do you put it…’gone to hell in a handbasket’,” she finished as she looked at him with her ever-present calm smile.

Logan sat back in his chair as he let her words sink in. So, she looked to him for reassurance? Will wonders never cease?

“Well, damn….I had no idea, ‘Ro…thanks….but, I would say that I rely on ya’ to lemme know when things are going south or not,” he confided, impressed with himself when he succeeded in a getting a piqued-eyebrow lift from the woman before him. “When we’re in battle, I can always rely on ya’ to keep yer calm, ta’ not freak out at the worst possible moment. If ever ya do, then we’d all better hightail it outta there.”

Ororo emitted a small chuckle at this. Who knew the impervious Wolverine needed reassurance?

“So, to answer your question, when I’m….dancing, I find your eyes bring me comfort and help me block out what it is I am truly doing,” Logan could hear the disgust in her tone.

“What yer doin, ‘Ro, is saving our hides yet again. If it weren’t fer you, we never woulda been able to get as much info as we have”“ he was cut off by a short “tsk” from Ororo.

“Now don’t go scoffin’ at me, ‘Ro. Every night we’re in that club getting more and more leads. And Mr. Fatpockets is coming back every night. I can smell how bad he wants ya. He’s close to making his move, I can feel it.”

“Somehow, I don’t think he will be asking my opinion on the matter in the future. Not after my previous dismissal,” she stated flatly.

“Ta be honest, that’s what I’m hopin’ for,” he punctuated with a ::SNIKT:: to reveal one smooth, adamantium claw. “But, really, ‘Ro, we really do respect what yer doin’, even Scooter. That boy probably won’t admit it, but, if the tables were turned, he sure as hell wouldn’t be able ta’ do it.”

Suddenly, without any provocation, Ororo began to laugh. As in really laugh. Logan couldn’t remember ever hearing her truly laugh. He silently thought to himself how beautiful the sound was and that she should do it a lot more often. Deciding to let the moment last as long as possible, Logan said nothing and enjoyed the beautiful laugh lines that had taken residence on Ororo’s face. He even began to chuckle himself as she continued, the laughter finally dying down as she wiped an errant tear with her index finger.

“Ya know, ‘Ro, ya should laugh more often. But I’m curious as ta why yer laughin’.”

“Honestly, I’m not sure if I should tell you, Logan,” she said through her smile.”…but, I was picturing Scott on that same stage with a leather thong, dancing to The Village People’s YMCA.”

After a beat of silence and a raised eyebrow from Ororo, Logan’s mind finally registered her last statement. Ororo could literally tell the moment it sunk in as Logan’s face went through a myriad of emotions. For the most part, the majority of those emotions centered around Shock, Horror, Distaste, and finally Disgust, the latter emotion causing Logan to spew his beer into Ororo’s kitchen sink and choke on its remaining contents. Ororo’s laughter rang loud again as she rushed to aid her friend, patting his back and fanning his face with stack of napkins.

“Logan, I’m sorry. I had no idea you would react this way,” she struggled to say through her laughter.

Once he finished wheezing and had regained his breath and most of his composure, Logan replied, “Damn, ‘Ro, ya’ can’t go planting images like that in a guy’s head. By guy, I mean me.”

Then , he surprised himself and Ororo when he began guffawing, too, at the Weather Goddess’ impromptu joke. “I like this,” he said wistfully, with an easy smile.

“’This?’”

“Yeah, you like this”relaxed and not all serious like,” he said, his own tone becoming serious.

Ororo’s smile slowly faded and her expression become somewhat somber. Logan could kick himself for being the one to take the smile from her face.

“It’s not often that I can afford to be so carefree. With my emotions being tied to the world’s weather patterns, I am obligated to remain as emotionally neutral as I can,” she stated, all humor now gone from her voice.

“So, ya just walk around serious all the time? When do ya get a break, ‘Ro?” His question was met with silence. He acted on impulse and reached the small distance across the kitchen island to take her hand. “’Ro, I know yer a leader of the X-Men and all, but ya gotta take time fer yerself. At least, every once in a while,” he could see she was about to rebut him. “And ‘fore ya say anything, ya know I’m arling’ the truth. You’ n’me, we’re the ones in tune with nature. Ya know as well as I do that sometimes ya just gotta let loose. It’s…natural.”

Ororo glanced at their entwined hands and replied, “My friend, the last time I “let loose,” I nearly wiped out my village. That was nearly fifteen years ago, and I have yet to forgive myself.”

Logan inhaled sharply when he felt her grip tighten as she warred with her inner emotions. Her pain was almost palpable.

“ ‘Ro, I remember Jeanie telling’ me about that. Lemme tell ya’, had I just watched a close friend die in pain because she couldn’t get meds due to some bureaucratic redtape bullshit, I woulda done a lot more than unleash a typhoon in the Sahara Desert.”

“Regardless of the reason, it was still uncalled for, unnecessary, and completely foolhardy, Logan. And watch your language.”

Logan expelled a breath he hadn’t known he was holding. “Look, ‘Ro, I see why ya feel ya have to stay buttoned up all the time. I feel ya should be able to let go every now an’ then. What say we agree to disagree and move onto…a happier topic?”

She smiled at his attempt to redirect their conversation. “Well, my friend, I would love to continue our conversation. However, it is getting late and I must prepare to return to the club. I trust you and Scott will be there when I arrive?”

“You bet yer sweet ass, we will,” he stated with a slow, predatory smile.

Ororo gave a small smile as she knew Logan was merely trying to provoke her. “Until tonight, then, my friend,” she stated as she entered her bedroom.

“‘Til tonight, darling’. ‘Til tonight.”
Past is Present..... by natadunn
Sometime later…

The next few weeks passed without much incident, and Ororo herself began to wonder if this mission would ever come to an end. Maybe Scott was right all along, and they had missed their opportunity. That maybe she had overestimated her desirability in attempting to entice their target.

Talk about a blow to the ego, thanks for planting the seeds, Scott, she thought dryly.

It appeared the only good thing to result thus far was her ever-growing friendship with Logan. Since that fateful day when she finally decided to acknowledge his presence and invite him in, Logan had entered her loft in the same manner everyday thereafter. They would sit and talk for hours about everything and nothing, they had come to learn things about each other that were shared with no others. Ororo was still somewhat intrigued by her and Logan’s easy friendship, to say it was unexpected would be an understatement. They had even begun to meditate together on her off days”which would happen to be what they were currently doing on the rooftop of her loft building.

“Yer’ not focusing, ‘Ro,” Logan’s deep timbre interrupted her thoughts.

She peeked at him from one opened eye, amazed to find his face a mask of perfect serenity as he continued his own meditation. Her eyebrow nearly touched her hairline as she wondered how he could tell her concentration had shifted.

He spoke without opening his eyes, “Yer breathing pattern changed. That means ya lost yer focus.”

Feeling somewhat put off that Logan seemed to have come to know her so well in a short period of time, Ororo stuck her tongue out at Logan.

“Back atcha’, darlin’.”

How did he know”his eyes are still closed?!

This time he did open one eye in the same fashion as she did, “Enhanced hearing, remember? I can hear changes in yer breathing and heard yer lips smack when ya stuck yer tongue out.”

She slowly nodded her head in understanding, feeling somewhat sheepish now.

“So, wanna tell me what’s got yer concentration all screwed up?”

“This mission. It feels as if we are just spinning our wheels with no end in sight. Maybe Scott was right when-”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa…whoa,” Logan interrupted, complete with wildly gesturing hands and a ‘wtf’ expression on his face. “ ‘Ro, I admit things are movin’ slower than expected, but don’t ever, ever, ever say Scooter was right about anything. Anything.” He followed this with a truly comedic shudder.

Ororo smiled at his actions, “Logan.”

“I’m just sayin’, ‘Ro, things are progressin’, we just gotta be patient.”

Ororo’s face became serious once again as she rose from her lotus position and moved to sit on the building’s ledge. Logan heard her mumbled “Easier said than done.”

He soon joined her on the edge, handing her a bottled water. “Wanna tell me what that’s about, darlin’?”

He patiently waited as he knew she would answer when ready. One thing he had learned about Ororo was that, while she had a quick wit and could think on her feet, there were times when she would prefer to fortify herself before answering. When she spoke, her eyes were focused on the horizon before them.

“Logan, do you remember your initial reaction to my appearance when we first met?”

He smiled slowly to himself. “Hell yeah, I remember. I was ready to bolt from Chuck’s office when you and ol’ One Eye strolled in. I remember you carrying yerself like a Queen. Yer smooth brown skin and white locks caught my attention the second ya walked in.” Truthfully, though he wouldn’t admit it, she had him entranced ever since.

Ororo nodded slowly. “And do you remember your shock at seeing my true eye color?”

“…yeah?” Where the hell is she going with this? he thought.

“Now imagine garnering that response from the time you were a child. Imagine the confusion that you would feel if people chose to not only stare at your appearance, but also decided to use it to their advantage…” Logan could hear the edge her voice had taken. She inhaled a shaky breath. “People who would have you believe they had your best interests at heart...” she trailed off.

His hackles rising, Logan ground his teeth, “‘Ro, did somebody…” he couldn’t even bring himself to finish.

“Rape me? No, thank the Goddess. But there were times where it came very close to that. No, I was …unfortunate enough to be taken under the wing of Sheik Al Harij Jaffar in the southern region of Madagascar. A suave man, but devious, no less. He thought my exotic looks would be best employed to seduce other rich men in the region and hopefully catch them in...compromising positions so that he could rob them of all their riches. I was merely the bait to draw them into his harem. Jaffar never allowed me to stay long, he said they deserved what befell them, for they held unsavory thoughts about what they wanted to do with me….”

His breathing having increased, Logan reflexively clenched and unclenched his fists. He would wait, let her tell her story when she was ready.

“He would always tell me I was to be his ‘Queen of the Nile’ when I was of age, that he would allow no man to soil me before then,” she swallowed thickly. “That was when I believe my mutation must have unlocked itself. I had reached the age of eleven and I had just survived a close encounter with one of the men, and I was so very angry that he would dare touch me in such a way. No one had ever seen such a torrential downpour as had hit the area. I cried all night and by morning, the surrounding twenty mile radius had been…eradicated by monsoon. Of course, I still had no idea that it was I who caused such damage. All I knew is I would be free from Jaffar. Shortly thereafter, I fled to my mother’s village in Cairo and sought refuge with her family. They took me in, of course, as they recognized the traits of my mother’s lineage. Apparently, I inherited my great-great-grandmother’s physical features and subsequently her position as the reigning deity of the land.”

Logan knew she had no intention of continuing as she instead continued to gaze at the setting sun before them.

“Damn, yer history is almost as colorful as mine. Who’d’a thunk I’d be sittin’ here with a real, live Goddess,” he finally replied. Then, after a long beat of silence, a thought occurred to Logan.

“Dammit, ‘Ro, why didn’t ya say something before about this? God knows we coulda found a different approach to this whole damn mission!” He was angry, he realized. Neither himself, Scott, nor Jean had considered why Ororo was so opposed to her particular status in the mission. They’d all assumed she opposed so strongly because she was used to being revered as a goddess.

Flamin’ idiots, all of us, Logan chided himself.

“It is not something I feel appropriate to discuss over tea, Logan. Bad things happen. You live through it, learn, and come out stronger. Besides, what other tactic would we have employed for this mission, send one of the girls in? Jubilation Lee, Allison….Marie?”

Logan breathed in sharply at that. She had him there, no doubt. He suddenly found his feet incredibly interesting, he couldn’t even bring himself to meet her eyes. His shoulders slumped as he continued to mentally berate himself for once again putting her in a similar situation.

“I dunno, ‘Ro. I wouldn’t’a pushed so hard. It ain’t right that we put you right back in that same place,” he replied weakly. He literally felt sick to his stomach.

“Logan, it’s all right. Besides, I am an X-Man; we don’t back down from challenges just because they are uncomfortable. We have a duty to protect, and I always honor my duties,” she said, her voice having regained its usual regal strength. Logan glanced at Ororo from the corner of his eye; she held her head high as she spoke of her obligations as an X-Man.

Amazing. Truly amazing. Logan felt his respect for Ororo Munroe grow exponentially. Never had he met another person”man or woman”with as much inner strength as this thing of beauty beside him.

“And I also feel a personal obligation to those females victimized by this man to bring him down.” There it was. There was that spark of determination in her eyes. This was the ‘Ro he knew”strong, proud, regal.

“Damn right, Darlin’….and I’m looking forward to introducing this fucker to his intestines.”

She chuckled; then “Logan. Language.”



The next night…..

“….and now, Gents, we’ll take a small break-if you will- to allow you guys to calm your breathing. Wasn’t Miss Behavin’ wonderful?” the emcee prodded the crowd. Logan gave the club a quick scan. He still couldn’t believe how many guys had packed themselves in to the club”presumably all here to see the club’s main attraction”Dream. For some reason, the more he thought about it, the more Logan wanted to go feral and gut everyone in the club. Somehow, over the course of the last few months, Logan had grown to appreciate his friendship with Ororo. It startled him to no end that he had grown so protective of Ororo. Ororo”he’d learned from Chuck a while back that her name meant Beauty, and he couldn’t think of a more appropriate name for her. The woman had an inner beauty so damn astonishing that it actually outshone her outer beauty, a feat he once thought impossible.

Even more startling to him was the profound respect and admiration for her that seemed to grow at an exponential level on an almost daily basis. Logan would never have guessed that Ororo”super-cultured, refined, and eternally graceful”was a former master thief and street urchin. She’d dropped that little bit of information on him over a week ago and he still hadn’t fully processed it yet. It seemed her past truly was as colorful and complicated as his own. To know that she hadn’t had the easiest of upbringings and still had a heart of gold astounded him. Hell, even when forced to face her own demons on this assignment, she took it with poise and professionalism. Sometimes Logan believed Ororo had more conviction and faith in Xavier’s dream than the man himself did. Logan was pulled from his momentary reverie by the emcee’s suddenly annoying voice.

“…And now…what you’ve all been waiting for…what you’ve all heard about and dared to believe is true…the one, the only…Dream!!!!!!!!”

As the bass line of the song began its sensual ascension, Logan made sure to focus all his attention on the stage. He couldn’t explain it, but he had a feeling Ororo would need to see his eyes when she came onstage and saw the packed club. As usual, Logan’s seat at the bar was within direct eye range of the stage.

Hm, never heard this song before. I kinda like it, Logan mused as he saw the stage curtain rise to reveal Ororo atop a bed. Already, he could feel a tightening in his pants and shifted to relieve some of the pressure. Ororo slowly lowered the bed sheet as she rose to an extremely provocative kneeling position. Logan expelled a low whistle as he took in her wardrobe. Sure, he’d seen her in white, light blue, even pink, but he’d never seen her in all-black. Of course, her uniform was black leather, but this…this ensemble was breathtaking. Ororo wore an all black leather bustier with black leggings and high-heeled boots that reached her knees. Logan’s jaw literally dropped as Ororo made eye contact with him. Of course, she did this every night, but tonight she had a completely different look in her eyes. In her eyes, Logan could see unbridled lust as she rose and swung her legs over the side of the bed.


Many say
That I'm too young
To let you know just where I'm coming from.
But you will see
It's just a matter of time
My love will surely make you mine




As was always the case, the club had grown deathly silent, save the sensual tones on En Vogue’s rendition of the ever-sexy “Something He Can Feel”.

Well, I’m
Livin' in a world of ghetto life
Everyone is so uptight
Nothin's wrong, it's alright, my man
I like the way we carry on
His love will send me on and on
With my man
People out there can understand

I'm givin him somethin’ he can feel
To let him know this love is real
This love is real




By this point, Ororo had made her way to the foot of the bed and sat wide-legged as she began to sway suggestively, never breaking eye contact with Logan. She bent over ever-so-slowly to unzip and then remove her right boot, followed by the left. Both shoes wound up somewhere in the sea of men.



I'm givin him somethin’ he can feel
To let him know this love is real
This love is real(2x)

So much joy for us it seems
So much hope for material things
Are they only in my dreams?
(hey, oh yeah)
And that's exactly why I'm singing this song to you
To let you know that real dreams do come true.
You tell me 'what does it mean'.




The chorus repeated twice more as Ororo continued to perform what had to be the sexiest, most sensual strip tease ever known to man. By the time the song had begun to wane, Ororo was left standing in only a pair of black boy shorts and a barely there black bra, her clothing having been thrown to the various corners of the club as keepsakes for those lucky enough to catch them. Her hair cascaded down to cover some of her bosom as she ran her hands up and down her body suggestively to the fading tunes of the song. Logan swallowed thickly and couldn’t help when his hand drifted to rest in his lap. He had to have some type of contact. Logan fought the urge to howl as Ororo turned and seductively crawled back up the bed before returning to her initial position beneath the sheets. The stage curtains had been dropped a full minute before anyone in the club regained their ability to think, it seemed. The thunderous applause erupted, violently tearing Logan’s attention from the stage back to his surroundings. He was simultaneously assaulted with the scents of lust and desire from every male in the club. Logan could feel the coppery taste rising in his throat, signaling the awakening of the Wolverine.

“Logan. Backstage. Now!”

Scooter?What tha hell….

*Logan. No time for questions. Move now, something’s going down,
* Jean responded in his head.

In a matter of seconds, Logan had maneuvered his way through the throng of men and found himself at the entrance to the back hallways. He immediately smelled the signs of and heard the sounds of a fight, and his eyes began to change from their usual steel gray to amber hue. As he approached the hallway that held Ororo’s room, Logan relaxed to a degree when he saw that John and Adam had pinned four guys to the floor while Scott was holding another three at bay with his glowing visor. Logan let a growl loose from his chest and was delighted to see the color drain from the faces of all of the would-be suitors.

Damn pricks.

The Wolverine was kept at bay”at least for the moment. Logan could faintly smell the stench of fresh urine over his bloodlust. He gave a dangerous grin as he realized he’d literally “scared the piss out of ‘em”. He stalked toward the men methodically.

“Uh, guys, I trust the two of you can handle this?” Scott offered quickly, sensing the need to corral Logan before things got messy. Real messy.

Adam, seemingly hearing the panic in Scott’s voice, looked up to see Logan approaching and nodded quickly, “Either you guys come with us, or you deal with that dude.” He indicated Logan with a nod of his head.

“Y-y-y-y-y-you!” they all but screamed in unison.

“Then I suggest you run and follow these two security guards to the back door and make it fast,” Scott instructed.

The seven men followed quickly and without a word. Scott did not approach Logan, not in this state. He simply remained still and spoke in a calming voice.

“Logan, they’re gone. They’re gone. The threat is over…..” Logan made no indication that he’d heard. He stood poised to pounce, his fist slowly clenching and staring at the retreating back of the last man.

“Logan.::sigh:: Logan, can you hear me?”

“Scott, perhaps I should handle this,” Scott was surprised by Ororo’s voice and the touch of her hand on his shoulder. He expected her to meet his eyes when he turned around, but it appeared her focus was entirely on the feral mutant before them. The completely homicidal, unpredictable feral in front of them.

“Ororo, I’d feel much better if I were with you. Just in case”“

“Scott, as I stated, I can handle this. Logan won’t hurt me. Will you, Logan?” she continued to keep her gaze locked on the feral man. The only response heard was a low growl from Logan.

“I will be fine, Scott. We will meet you out back in a few moments. Tell Jean to prep the Blackbird, please.” Her voice brooked no argument, so Scott reluctantly found his way to the back door.

He stopped before exiting, “You’ve got five minutes before we come back in, got it?”
Ororo indicated her hearing with a slow nodding of her head. After Scott left the area, she kept her gaze level with Logan’s and slowly approached him.

She stopped when she had come within three to four feet of him. Striking distance. Logan only responded with yet another low growl. The Wolverine had complete control now, awakened by the perceived threat of Ororo. His vision clouded by red, Wolverine was surprised to feel a warm, gentle breeze envelop him. He scented the air. Sandalwood, Rain. Vanilla. Calm. His body automatically began to relax. Ororo could see the amber hue slowly seep from Logan’s eyes as she slightly increased the wind gusts around her. She knew the key to reaching the Wolverine was to engage his senses; if he could tell that she was calm, unharmed, and not a threat to him, it would relax him enough to allow Logan to regain control. Moments later, Ororo was rewarded when Logan’s steel gray eyes met hers. She returned his gaze with her ever-present calm and a slow smile.

“Damn, darlin’,” he began, his shoulders heaving from the effort of caging the beast within. “Didn’t mean to lose it like that, but I could smell what those fuckers wanted to do with ya. Ya know I’d never hurt ya, right?”

“Number one, Logan”watch your language. And two, Logan, you responded as anyone would who encountered a threat. For that, I am grateful, my friend,” she offered. “Now, I must gather my things and we should leave before Scott decides to blast through the wall. He gave me five minutes to calm you.” She added the last part when she noticed the puzzled look on Logan’s face.

Logan nodded and gestured for her to retrieve her things from her room down the hall. As he watched her retreating back, Logan could do nothing but chuckle at how she could tame the feral in him, comfort him for losing control and admonish him for his language in the span of one statement. He followed her and watched as she blew out the scented candles that graced her room as she reached her duffle bag. For the first time in weeks, he gave her room a thorough once-over. Somebody’s been busy. The small space looked completely different than the first night they saw it. Scented candles graced every corner, there was soft, muted lighting, and a few small pieces of African art adorning the place now. He wondered how she kept the other girls from stealing her stuff. A long breath he hadn’t even known he was holding slowly found its way out of his chest. He wanted to address something that occurred earlier but had no idea how to do so without offending the beauty before him.

Well, I ain’t never been one to beat around tha’ bush. No need to start now.

“Uh…’Ro?” He nervously kneaded the back of his neck.

I’m nervous? What tha hell?!

Ororo turned from her task to face Logan, “Yes, Logan?”

“Well, I gotta question ta’ ask, but I don’t want ya to take it the wrong way. I mean, it’s not like I’m assumin’ anything…but I am a man, and I think I know what certain looks mean. I mean, I couldn’a made it this far in life by bein’ dense when it mattered…”

“Logan. You’re rambling.” He responded to her jest with a sheepish look. ‘You don’t ramble.”

Just what the hell is going on with me? Logan asked himself, pissed that he suddenly regressed to a babbling teenaged girl. I’m worse than Jubes. Fuck.

“Logan?” his thoughts were interrupted by her smoke on silk voice.

Yeah, silk and smoke. Real smooth-like. The kinda voice that you wanna drown in for hours. Uh-oh, he had begun to lose focus again.

“Sorry darlin’, don’t mean to freak ya out. It’s just…I got a certain ….vibe from ya while ya were on that stage. It looked and smelled like…” he began.

“Desire? Lust? Yearning?” she supplied without hesitation as she zipped her bag.

Completely dumbfounded by her cavalier attitude, Logan replied, “Well, yeah. Damn, didn’t expect ya to put it so bluntly.”

Ororo resumed her task of gathering her belongings as if Logan hadn’t just implied she desired him. “The gentleman we are pursuing is a telepath. I began feeling his psychic nudging weeks ago. He has been trying to persuade my thoughts and emotions since then.”

Logan shook his head and muttered, “Then, I wish ’em good luck. Your psi-shields are even stronger than mine. He’d have better luck breaking into Fort Knox than yer psyche.”

“I allowed him to enter my thoughts tonight, Logan. I figured that may be the break we need in this mission. Goddess knows we tried everything else.”

Logan was sure his head would swivel off, given how fast he whipped it around to face her, “Ya’ let him in? ‘Ro, ya sure that was a good idea?”

“It was only momentary, and I only let him read my surface thoughts. He has a very…interesting imagination.” Her face took on a weird look.

“Define ‘interesting,’ ‘Ro,” Logan could feel the beast clawing to be released again. Not now, dammit.

“He was constantly projecting his intentions of what he plans to do to with me once I have agreed to his terms”and he is fairly certain I will agree.” It seemed she was finding it hard to put those thoughts into words.

Logan’s senses had kicked back into overdrive. If there’s one problem ‘Ro has never had, it’s a problem with usin’ words. This fucker must be sicker’n we thought.

“’Ro, you alright?”

“Yes, yes. It appears our friend is still trying to read my thoughts. I just need a moment to focus and block him out.” Then she closed her eyes and slowed her breathing to an almost meditative state. “He is ever the persistent one.”

That was exactly had Logan so worried before. Whenever one allowed a telepath to read their thoughts”even surface thoughts”there always remained a faint signature that the telepath could use to try to breach them again within a short amount of time. It was like leaving a temporary trail of breadcrumbs. They had no idea how strong of a telepath this guy was, and ‘Ro could’ve just given him the opening he’d been waiting for.

“There. He’s blocked now.”

“…”

“Logan, please. Give me some credit, I knew the chance I took when I let him in, and I assure you I was in full control. Tonight, he wanted me to feel unbridled lust and desire, so I did. Only the difference is, he was hoping I would direct it his way. Instead, I chose another outlet.”

“Me.”

“Yes. You. Please forgive me for using you in such a way, my friend.”

“Forgive, hell. I wish ya’d look at me like that more often, ‘Ro,” he stated with a slow smile.

Ororo responded with a slow smile of her own. Then Logan watched as she took the money that was sent to her by the patrons and placed it in a small basket on her vanity. There had to be at least three grand there, easy. Logan raised his eyebrow.

*Uh, guys? Care to move things along? Scott’s about ready to blast the walls in.*

Ororo gave a low chuckle as she gathered her duffle, entwined her arm with Logan’s, and led him towards the club’s back exit.

“Uh, ‘Ro? Aren’t ya’ forgettin’ yer money?”

“Not at all. I leave the money for the other girls here. I have no desire or use for it, they do. Simple as that…and it also keeps them from raiding the items in my room,” she replied with a smile.

“Darlin’, yer one helluva woman.”
Careful What Ypu Ask For... by natadunn
Next day at the Mansion…

“Ahr yah sure yah can do this, sugah?” her voice was quiet as a whisper.

“Um, I’m sure I could probably be doing better. That is, if you worrywarts would, say, stop breathing down my neck and relax,” was the terse reply she gave.

“Hmmpf. Well, somebody’s got their Vicki’s Secrets all twisted up in a knot. Maybe you need Dazzler to loosen ’em with a lil’ sonic boom,” came a third, high-pitched voice in the dim room.

A low chuckle followed. “Just say the word, Jubes, and I’ll make it rain ‘Day of the Week’ panties.”

More chuckling.

“*Ahem*…femmes, why don’ we jus’ let chere focus s’we can escape dis wit’ our minds intact, non?”

“I agree. Ladies, please. Katya needs silence.”

“You’re only saying that, Mother Russia, cuz she’ll reward you by installing your ‘hard drive’ into her ‘pc’ later.”

Even more chuckling.

Enough. She’d had enough.

“Guys!” Her voice was tight with strain and frustration. “One”I can’t focus if you all keep chattering. And two”I suggest you all focus your own thoughts on keeping the professor in the dark about what it is we’re really doing,” Kitty whispered hotly. There was no way in hell she could hack into the X-frame with this madcap bunch of loons distracting her.

“Sorry,” the impromptu party of six replied. Her team, Bobby aka Iceman, Alison aka Dazzler, Jubilee, Remy aka Gambit, Peter aka Colossus and Marie aka Rogue all sported the same sheepish looks and instead focused on the task at hand. Currently, said task would be to keep the Professor unaware of their attempts to access the X-Men mainframe and discover exactly what mission has kept their beloved instructors ”or at least Ms. Munroe”away for nearly three months. Katherine Pryde, or Kitty to her friends, was the resident tech wizard who could hack into nearly any computer mainframe in the world. However, she was growing increasingly frustrated at her apparent failure to access the mansion’s mainframe. Her task was made no easier by her less than stealthy accomplices.

I should’ve just done this alone and told them after the fact, she groused to herself.

“We are sorry, Katya,” Peter said softly into her ear. He was close enough that she could feel the warmth of his bulky frame behind her.

And just as quickly she was reminded of why she invited her friends along. She’d need all the support she could get to attempt this. A slow, low, breath passed her lips and she leaned into Peter’s body slightly.

“I know,,” she replied just as softly. “I really appreciate you guys, I’m just a little frustrated because it’s been over an hour, and I’m no closer to breaking the code than before.”

“Aw, sugah, we know ya can do it. We believe in ya. Take yer time and we’ll think about other stuff to throw the professor off,” Marie offered in support.

A chorus of “Yeah” went around from her friends.

Gathering her resolve, Kitty set to the task at hand “Peter, babe, I need you to hold the flashlight ri-ii-iight…there. Don’t move.”

Peter did as asked as Kitty phased both hands through the War Room’s wall computer. She began to breathe slow and steady as she closed her eyes and let her mind figure out the puzzle before her. Meanwhile, her accomplices focused on anything other than what they were doing so as not to alert the Professor.

Bobby thought of baseball stats and Baywatch. Speaking of Baywatch,man, I bet Dazzler’d look great running down the beach in slow motion.

Jubilee thought of the cute purse she spotted at the Megaplex last weekend. That’s definitely gonna be next on my ‘to have’ list.

Alison thought of how cute Bobby looked with his brows furrowed while deep in thought. Definitely snack-able. Mm-hm.

Marie and Remy were thinking of the same thought”kissing. If only ah wouldn’t kill’em vs No death would be sweeter than at the lips of m’chere.

Kitty beamed proudly as she slowly opened her eyes and withdrew her hands from the wall unit. “I’m in. I’m sending this info to my email account. We can read it from my laptop; I’ve got the feeling we need to be as far away as we can from the mansion and the Professor’s mind probes when we read it.”

She busied herself for the next several seconds and then motioned for her team to sneak out of the room as quietly as they entered. They had all made it as far as the library a mere ten feet down the hall when they heard the telltale hum that signaled the Professor would be rolling upon them at any second. Remy pulled Marie into the library with a graceful tug, Peter sat on the cherry oak bench that lined the wall and pulled Kitty into his lap where she landed with an “ommph.” Alison grabbed Bobby by the collar and proceeded to press him against the wall, followed by her lips on his. And this is how the Professor came upon them. Remy appeared deep in thought as he read a poem in French to Marie, and Peter was explaining a painting on the far wall to Kitty. Both girls looked at their respective beaus with rapt attention. Alison and Bobby were…otherwise indisposed, and Jubilee simply stood there in the middle of the hall, looking highly annoyed.

“It’s times like these when I realize one startling fact: I need a boyfriend!” she said to the Professor as she stomped off.

Professor Xavier regarded the remaining scene around him with a raised brow and nod of acknowledgment to the teens before continuing on his way to his private study.

“Whew, that was close,” Kitty said as she watched the Professor’s door close. “Quick thinking, big guy.”

“What can I say, Katya? You inspire me,” Peter beamed. That remark earned him a short but sweet kiss on the lips.

“Ah bet Professor X didn’t expect us to use all that cunnin’ we learned in trainin’ against him, huh?” Marie added as she and Remy exited the library.

“Probably not. Come on, guys, my laptop’s in the Jeep. We can head out to those cornfields Remy found a few months ago on the outskirts of town.”

The group of three began on their way, only to find they were two people short.

“Dazzler, yah think ya could pull yer tongue outta Icicle’s throat so ya can join us?”

Alison’s response was slow in coming, as she savored the last of the kiss before facing her friends, giant grin intact. Bobby, on the other hand, appeared to be dumbfounded as his eyes were still closed and his lips puckered. He slowly regained his composure.

“Wow,” he stated breathlessly as he chewed his gum. Gum that hadn’t been in his mouth a minute ago.

“Come on, Ice Pop. We need to round up Jubey and head out,” Alison explained as she pulled him along. She turned and whispered into his ear as they followed the others, “And I fully intend on reclaiming my gum.”

I love being an X-Man!! Bobby thought with a foolish grin.



Meanwhile…

“Well, what other failure have you to report, grommet?”

“Actually, sire, the news I bring this eve is quite the opposite,” his assistant stated with a bit of pride in his voice. Finally, I’ll show him that I’m not as worthless as he has always believed.

That statement succeeded in an eyebrow lift of mild astonishment; however, it was short-lived.

“Really? And just what is this news you have for me?”

Damian bit back the sarcastic reply that begged to be released. Not now…patience is the sign of a true victor.

“The one you…desire, my lord. I was able to access her thoughts, albeit briefly. From what I discovered, she would be most worthy of the title of Queen. She views the world as no other does. True beauty radiates from within her.”

“Careful, grommet, you speak as if you desire her for yourself. Do not forget your station, you were born to follow, never to lead. A woman as majestic as you describe would only put you to shame, as you could never deserve her.”

Fury and anger burned white hot in his belly as he kept his face as stoic as possible. No good would come of allowing the Master to see how deeply his words had cut. Truthfully, Damian felt no man would be deserving of the Goddess whom he had been actively pursuing for his liege. Even though he only accessed her mind for brief moments, he would forever remember how it felt. Although there was an edge to her, she was a gentle, loving beast. And she held power within her hands beyond the comprehension of any man. That news he would save for himself, no need to whet the Master’s appetite any further. That little bit of information would send him into a feeding frenzy. Their mission had seemed simple, at least in the beginning. ”Go to the cities of this Earth and find me a God-Queen befitting of my name and the throne beside me.” The mission itself had begun over twelve centuries ago, in Ancient Macedonia. Damian and his cohorts would visit city upon city of the newly formed world in search of a God-Queen for their master. Each woman they brought before him was more beautiful than the last, and they always hoped she would be “the one.” The one to satisfy their master’s never-ending desire. The one to end their master’s insurmountable expectations. The one to finally free them from their eternal curse. Of course, being the right-hand men of a God had its perks”immortality, beauty, strength, wealth, special gifts, amazing virility”but, after nearly twelve thousand years, it got a little old. Damian could remember the dreams of his youth as clearly today as then.

Twelve thousand years ago, contrary to the popular belief that the earth was recovering from the great Ice Age, Damian lived during a time of great prosperity for man. They lived in highly advanced cities, wore the finest robes, ate the finest foods, and drank the best wine. Life was good…so long as the Gods were not angered. The people of Damian’s time made it their lives’ work to keep the Gods happy”festivals, sacrifices, erecting endless temples in their name. Damian would have loved nothing more than to have served his country in war, returned home a hero and married a beautiful girl”all by the ripe old age of 16. It would have been a full life back then; he would have happily died an old man at the age of 27, so long as his wife bore him at least two sons to carry his name.

But that was never fated to be. It seems. Fate, or should one say, the Fates? They always had a way of seeing that certain things happened, whether wanted or not. Damian’s fate was to join the military at the age of thirteen with his best friends, Ios and Deos, and serve one short term at war. While on their journey back home, they happened upon an injured man in the forest. Once he and his friends carried him to safety in the shelter of a cave, they learned he was no mortal man, but a great God whom had been tricked by his beloved wife and stripped of his powers. He had been left to die, his mortal body decaying from the loss of his powers and literally disintegrating from the inside out. While at first suspicious, Damian, Ios, and Deos nursed the man as well as they could. He then instructed them on how to summon his bitch of a wife and trick her into restoring his powers”with her own. Once his powers had returned, the man slew his wife without mercy and rewarded the men with immortality, rugged good looks, and immense wealth.

However, as is always the case with the ancient gods, there was a catch. For their dutiful assistance, the three friends were eternally connected to this man who’d become a God”their lives all intertwined. If and when he died, so would they. However, the connection did not appear to work in reverse. This was discovered when Deos decided he had grown tired of the deal. The year was 989 A.D. when he slit his wrists and died, and his friends attempted to help him. Their master suffered nothing but annoyance at this. After all he had given the peon, he would pull such a stunt? Their master simply resurrected Deos, then had him bound to a rock and forced his best friends to watch as savage wolves, bears, and various assortments of beasts feasted on his living body. The best part was that both Damian and Ios could feel the flesh tear from Deos’ limbs as they were still connected via their life bonds. They, too, seemed to die the same slow, torturous death their friend did. All the while, their master looked on with bored interest and feasted on ambrosia fed by one of his ever-present beauties. It took Damian and Ios nearly two weeks to recover their strength from the ordeal, and they were forced to clean their friend’s rotting remains from the boulder. After they gave him a burial befitting their time”his physical remains smoldering in flames as they sent his tiny sailboat out to sea, the two remaining friends realized their master was none to be tampered with. Three years passed as they mourned Deos, only to have their master bring him back to life. Apparently, his death was only a temporary punishment.

Although, Damian was sure the three years of death were more like a reprieve. Since that time, neither of the friends had ever thought to cross their master. No, they had become accustomed to his enormous ego, his thirst for females”although, there were times in Ancient Rome where boys were in high demand”and his constant ire. Working for the master was never overly difficult, but there were times when it seemed…draining.

For the last several centuries, the three men worked in eternal servitude to their God-master, living out decade after decade in search for the perfect companion for him. Their master had been so spurned by his previous love that he launched a never-ending search for the one who would never betray him and who would be worthy of his seed when he decided to sire a son. For ages, the three men traversed the globe, luring unsuspecting women into their master’s grasp, only to see them fall short of his vision of perfection and be cast aside like garbage. Initially, the women’s remains would be found decades later, their names and faces long forgotten.

Having grown tired of the death, the men somehow had begun to only seek out women with “special abilities.” Mutants. They did this initially because they felt such women would stand a better chance in battle versus their master, that maybe they could escape death. However, one by one they all perished. Within the last decade, their master had decided that he could use the various gifts of these women to his advantage”to seduce, and then murder his enemies. Damian, Ios, and Deos could never fathom why their master felt threatened by mere mortals. Each man that was murdered was a man of great wealth”sheiks, senators, statesmen, and entrepreneurs”and after each died, their master would somehow assume all of their shareholdings and wealth. The three friends always thought it amusing that a God would want wealth. He was a God, after all.

“Damian, my most faithful servant. You tarry too long within your own imaginings. I have asked you twice now about this woman. Please do not make me remind you of my power.”

There it was, the ever-present threat. Damian cursed himself for his mistake. The master always hated it when he appeared to be ignoring him.

“Forgive me, sire. I was merely overwhelmed with joy at the prospect of pleasing you.” Damian tried to keep his eyes from rolling too far back in his head as he spoke. There. That should appease him. For now.

“Very well. Please, do continue. Tell me about your next God-Queen. One befitting the last God of Atlantis.”



Somewhere near North Westchester, New York…

It had taken Kitty and her compatriots nearly an hour to locate Jubilee after she stomped off. In the end, it was Alison who finally realized where their friend would tear off to after a stressful event -- the local mall for shopping. Jubilee was none too pleased when Peter had the nerve to physically remove her from mall via a fireman carry over his shoulder. After the girls calmed her down and Kitty made sure to sit in her lap to keep her from shooting fireworks up Peter’s nose, the friends all loaded into the Institute’s Jeep Commando and chartered a course for the corn fields that bordered the rural district. They had been here for almost two hours as Kitty, Marie, Alison, and Bobby took turns reading through the case files Kitty emailed herself.

“Kit-Kat, I thought you said you found the files and sent them to your email account. We’ve been reading through these flippin’ files”so appropriately named ‘The X-Files’”and have found jack-shit about this mission they’re on.” Clearly, Alison had reached the limits of her patience.

“I thought I did. I sent all the mission files whose dates corresponded with those from the last few months since the teachers’ve all been gone. I mean, how many missions can they go on at one time?”

Both Bobby and Jubilee cast her a “duh” glare.

“Um…they are ‘The X-Men,’ the masters of multi-tasking.” Jubilee shook her head in mild annoyance as she popped her gum. “Gah, sometimes, Kit, you can be so dense.”

“Yeah, Kitty. These are the same folks who helped the Fantastic Four stop Dr. Evil from destroying the Sun’s power source, rescued 10 POWs from Kazakhistan, help thwart an attempted presidential assassination, and planned those killer mid-term exams we nearly failed”all in the same two-day weekend,” Bobby added, just for good measure.

“Comrades, please. Katya has worked very hard to obtain this much information. We are all concerned about this mission that is keeping our friends and instructors away so long. Beating up on Katya will not help. And I will not allow it.” The finality in Peter’s tone brooked no argument.

“Whoa, homme…why don’ we all jus’ relax a bit, eh? No need for bloodshed. We jus’ need t’breathe a bit, hm?” Remy was sure it would take all of his empathic abilities to calm this group.

“Uh…guys, ah think Ah’ve found something. Look,” the group all huddled around Marie as she scrolled through the file marked ”Risque.”

“Yeah, it says the X-Men are investigating some creep who’s brainwashing mutants and turning them into assassins,” Jubilee read over her shoulder.

“Yeah, and it looks like they’ve tracked him down to a place….called …’Heavenly Bodies’…dang, why does that name sound so familiar,” Bobby mused aloud.

“I know, homme, sounds like I heard dat name befo’, too. But where?”

“Um…probably cuz it’s a strip joint.” Alison gave Bobby a pointed glare . He gulped in return.

“Yeah, it’s a strip club, and the Professor’s notes say…Ho-ly…” Kitty’s words were lost as the shock over reading the file sunk in.

Marie read ahead, specifically to the portion which detailed Ms. Munroe’s task in the mission. She finished Kitty’s thought. “Shit.”
The Unexpected.... by natadunn
Later that day…

Shit. Shit. Shit…and shit. Logan repeatedly chastised himself as he pushed the Harley to its limits speeding through the city. Screwing around with One-Eye and Chuck and now I’m running late.

Logan was impressive as he zipped in and out of the busy downtown Westchester traffic. Growing tired of the intermittent delays caused by the occasional caution light, Logan abruptly changed course and headed for the suburban district. He could just make out the outline of his destination as he reached the sprawling bohemian village of South Westchester. Logan found his usual parking spot and immediately climbed the exterior ladder of the building. He did have a standing date, and he hated to disappoint. However, as he reached the rooftop, Logan realized his standing date may have been cancelled. His breathing slowed and he focused his superior hearing to discern the muffled voices.

“…no, Jean, you are not intruding at all. In fact, I am glad you decided to drop by.”

Hm, so it seems Ororo has company. Serve’s ya right, bub, for being late.

“Are you sure, ‘Ro? I see you glancing out the window as if you’re expecting someone.”

“I was, but all is well. They obviously have some other things to attend to.”

Damn.

“Lemme guess…Logan.” It was more statement than question.

There was a beat of silence, “Yes. Should I ask how you know this or should I assume you’ve been scanning my thoughts?”

“’Ro, you know I’d never read your thoughts like that. Not that I could, anyway. Remember, Scott and I have a loft two blocks over for surveillance. And you know Scott, he’s forever “on duty.” He’s seen you and Logan meditating together on the rooftop a few times.”

Ororo laughed at herself for assuming the worst of Jean. She shook her head.

“And no, don’t apologize. I have been known to be a bit…inquisitive…where my friends are concerned.”

“Inquisitive, Jean? Don’t you think ‘nosy’ is a more apropos title?”

Another beat of silence passed between the two friends. Suddenly, as if on cue, they both broke out into a round of giggles. Jean was the first to speak once she had regained her composure. Her face grew more serious before she spoke, her expression wistful.

“I’m sorry, ‘Ro.”

The sudden statement completely confused Ororo, “Sorry? Whatever for, Jean?”

“For…not being here. At least not when you needed me. Look, ‘Ro, this mission has been going on for months, and none of us have asked you how you’re doing.”

“Jean, I am fine, and Logan asks all the time. Incessantly. There have been plenty of missions in the past that have lasted far longer, and we- “

“Don’t compare this mission to those, ‘Ro.” Jean cut off her rebuttal. “You know what I mean. We’ve been treating this like any other recon and strategic mission, but it’s not. You are out there, day in and day out, risking more than we all realize while we sit and wait. I can’t imagine the toll that dancing in that club is having on you.” Jean’s face was a story in regret and concern.

“Jean, please. There is no need for you or Scott to worry yourselves. I approach this as any other mission. We have a goal and I intend to achieve it. Nudity and various stages of undress are only taboo to Americans. Remember, I am the woman who has no qualms about floating above the mansion nude. Of course, only when the students are asleep.”

Jean didn’t respond as she took in what Ororo was saying.

“O-kay, so should I just let it go and switch topics? Come on, ‘Ro, I--”

“Most definitely. Would you care for a drink?” Ororo seemed satisfied to have steered the conversation away from their previous topic.

This conversation isn’t over. Not by a long shot. Jean narrowed her eyes at her friend’s attempt to redirect their conversation.

“Sure. I’ll take a bottled water.”

The two friends gathered their waters and found themselves on Ororo’s plush sofa. Ororo took the liberty of hitting the “shuffle” button on her iPod sound system. Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good” provided a backdrop as they enjoyed a comfortable silence. Jean closed her eyes and slowly swayed her head to the tune when Ororo’s sultry voice reached out to her.

“Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Reeds driftin on by you know how I feel

Its a new dawn
Its a new day
Its a new life
For me
And I’m feeling good”

Jean’s eyes opened slightly as she regarded her friend. Ororo’s own eyes were closed as she sang along with Nina Simone. Jean took the moment to enjoy the peace she could feel radiating from her friend at this moment. It was as if beauty radiated from within her. Her smile had fully blossomed by the time Ororo and Nina finished the song.

Logan sat atop the roof, awestruck. Never knew she was a songbird. Just when I think I know her, she surprises me.

“God, ‘Ro. That was beautiful. I don’t think I ever knew you could sing.”

“Thank you, Jean. It is not something I do frequently. While I recognize my own skills, I could only hope to sound half as adept as the indelible Nina Simone.” Ororo had always been too modest when it came to her talents.

“You may have missed your calling. I can see you now as a 1940s jazz singer, serenading a smoke-filled club of wartime vets.” Jean’s eyes glazed over as she could see the scene play out in her mind’s eye.

Ororo shook her head and smiled at her friend’s active imagination. They enjoyed several more moments of silence, simply enjoying one another’s company.

“I miss them,” Ororo stated wistfully. Jean was sure she had imagined it.

“Them?” She was totally confused.

“The children. It seems so long ago that I was standing before them, filling their minds with the works of Keats, Shelly, and Emerson while they did their best not to fall asleep in class. Oddly enough, I miss it all.”

Jean could feel a twinge of guilt at her friend’s confession. She, Scott, and Logan had the liberty of communicating and travelling freely to and from the mansion to visit the Professor and the children. Ororo, however, had to completely submerge herself in her character. They had learned some time ago that their target had placed Ororo’s comings and goings under surveillance. She truly had to detach herself from the Institute and the children.

“Oh my gosh, ‘Ro. I’m so sorry. We didn’t think of all you had to give up. Maybe the Professor and I should just get into this guy’s head and end this mission.” Jean was on the verge of tears.

“Jean, you know it is not that simple, nor that easy. Charles would never willingly do that to someone. Besides, we are X-Men, surely our sacrifice is insignificant when you think of the greater good we can achieve.”

Jean drew a slow, deep breath, “You’re right, as usual. I just don’t understand how you can be so rational about all this. I would’ve lost it weeks ago.”

“I’m nothing if not patient.”

“That you are, my friend, that you are. Well, I didn’t mean to be the ‘Debbie Downer’ of the day, so enough of this depressing talk.”

“Finally, the woman listens to me,” Ororo interrupted with a joke and warm smile.

Jean threw her hands up in mock surrender as she disposed of their empty water bottles in the recycling bin.

Well, no need fer me ta hang out here. ‘Ro’s got Jeannie to keep her comp’ny today,. Logan mused with a smile as he turned to leave the rooftop.

“So… *ahem* you and Logan seem to be getting…close, huh?” Jean’s voice reached his ears in milliseconds.

On second thought, no need to rush.

“It would appear so.”

“So?”

“So.”

“’Ro.”

“Jean.”

Jean made a small sound of frustration, “Ororo Munroe, quit that!”

Logan chuckled, Jeanie should know ‘Ro wouldn’t make it easy fer her…or me.

Ororo made a show of ignoring Jean’s outburst. She chose that moment to begin reading her previously discarded edition of ”New Moon.”

“Ororo, you’re going to make me drag it out of you, aren’t you?”

She slowly raised an eyebrow as she glanced at Jean over her book, “Is that not always the case, dear sister?”

It was true. Although Ororo and Jean were like sisters, she always found Ororo to be an enigma. One moment they would be equally open; then there would be times where she felt like she was being kept out of the loop. This was starting to feel like one of those times.

Jean decided on a new tactic, “Ororo, you know you are my sister. Blood relation be damned.”

“True.”

“So, having laid that disclaimer out there… learn to share and gush, woman!”

Ororo had no choice but to giggle at the scene Jean presented as she dropped to her knees before her, wildly flailing her arms and wearing a silly facial expression.

“Don’t make me beg, ‘Ro. You know I will.” This time, she followed with sticking out her bottom lip and the big, sad, eyes.

Rolling her eyes, Ororo playfully pushed Jean away. “There’s nothing to tell, Jean.”

Ororo could see the deflated look creep into Jean’s eyes. If only she could have seen the defeated drop of Logan’s shoulders high atop the roof, as well.

“Yet.”

Jean’s eyes beamed with joy as she shook her fist, “Why, you…that was mean, ‘Ro! Now, spill!”

“Forgive my hesitance, but it was not long ago that you had Logan’s affections, Jean.”

“O-kay…where are you going with this, ‘Ro?” Jean suddenly felt the atmosphere in the room change.

“I have chosen not to discuss the situation with you before because I do not want things to be…awkward between us.”

“Awkward? ‘Ro, I’ve got Scott, remember?”

“True, but I can recall several conversations in which you expressed your pleasure at having Logan’s affections, as well.”

Although her demeanor remained unchanged, Jean could hear the slight edge creep into Ororo’s voice.

Shit. This convo’s goin’ down the crapper and fast, Jeanie should stop while she’s ahead, Logan thought, his brow furrowed.

Jean remained silent for a moment as she carefully chose her next words.

“You’re right, ‘Ro. But, that was a long time ago, and”“

“You consider six months a long time, Jean? Please, don’t patronize me.” There was definitely an edge to her voice.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa…’Ro, this train has gone way off track,” Jean defended.

“Now do you see why I never broached the subject? One should remain oblivious to some things, Jean.”

“Honestly, ‘Ro. I just wanted to know how you were doing and how things were going with Logan. You know I love you, and I swear I only asked because I care. I know how much you went through with Forge and T’Challa, and I don’t want you getting hurt again. I truly want you to be happy…and no, it doesn’t bother me that Logan may be that source. You both deserve to be happy.” She was near tears at this point.

“I know, Jean. It’s just…I’m not quite sure myself what’s happening between Logan and I. We enjoy each other’s company and I trust him with my very life, but…”

“But what, ‘Ro?”

“Logan is…unexpected.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“That still remains to be defined,” she whispered with a small smile.

Ororo rose and neared the open French doors which led to her balcony. She leaned against the railing and breathed deeply as the evening wind whispered across her skin. She smiled as she could feel the invigorating effects of the fresh air. She paused as she turned to reply to her friend. Jean looked up in anticipation of her friend’s answer, only to find Ororo signaling for her to remain quiet with a finger to her lips. Her eyes looked upward as she began to ascend from where she stood. Jean quietly crept to the balcony and watched Ororo drift on the winds to the rooftop. As she cleared the rooftop, she was met with a startled pair of steel grey eyes. In return, she raised a perfectly manicured eyebrow in question.

For lack of anything to say, Logan chuckled.

“I bet yer wonderin’ just what the hell I’m doin’ out here, ‘Ro. I was thinkin’ ‘bout dropping in when I…uh…I …I remembered I left something behind at the mansion. Yeah, and I was gonna head back to get it. I actually just got here and was about…to…leave.” Logan cringed internally as he heard the terribly delivered lie fly from his lips.

You are so busted, bub.

By this time, Ororo had completely cleared the rooftop and stood before him, as regal and beautiful as ever. She looked slightly peeved, standing there with her arms folded and weight shifted to rest on one leg.

“Did you hear anything unexpected?” Her voice held a challenge.

Logan stood straighter and folded his own arms as he returned her glare just as fiercely. “Define unexpected.”

Ororo’s eyes narrowed into slits, their vibrant blue barely visible. She inclined her head slightly to the right as she regarded the man before her.

“Perhaps I should. But this is neither the time nor place. Wouldn’t you agree?”

“Name it.”

“No, I think I shall allow you to arrange that.” Her gaze softened significantly as the corners of her mouth slowly turned upward.

Logan’s own smile slowly found its way onto his face, “I think I might just let ya do that.”

“See that you do.” And with that, she turned on her heels and headed toward the ledge.

“’Ro?” His words stopped her on the ledge; she turned slightly towards his voice.

“In my world, ‘unexpected’ is good.” He pinned her with his eyes.

She raised another brow in question but said nothing. She instead returned his gaze as she began her slow descent back towards her balcony.

With a silent ‘whoop’, Logan neared the rooftop ladder which led him back to his motorcycle. His step was a little lighter and his smile a little brighter than before.

Jean watched Ororo to slowly descend on her winds, landing soundlessly on the balcony before her. Her own arms folded, Jean eyed her friend with a raised eyebrow and smirk.

“And that was…?”

Ororo tried to remain stoic as ever, but her smile found its way through her façade, “That was me defining unexpected.”
Challenges... by natadunn
Two days later…

“Delivery for a Miss…um…Ore-Oro Mun-“

“Munroe will do just fine. Thank you.”

Ororo took the large rectangular box. It was beautifully wrapped in gold and tied with an immaculate crimson ribbon. She looked up from her newly received gift to find the delivery man staring at her, mouth agape. Sighing internally, she smiled and tipped him generously and tried to bid him a good night.

“I’m sorry, Miss, b-but do you have any idea how freakin’ hot you are?”

“*Ahem* And do ya have any idea how dead yer about to be, bub?” Logan’s gruff voice was low and rounded the corner before his body did. However, that was enough to startle Ororo’s newfound admirer.

“Thank you, again, sir. Please, do have a good evening” Ororo gently touched his arm as he was paralyzed with fear. He soon regained his composure and practically ran in the opposite direction of Logan’s voice.

“You shouldn’t do things like that, Logan. That was mean.” Her voice held a hint of amusement.

Logan revealed himself and Ororo could see the grin despite the shadow cast by his Stetson. “Just screwing wit’ ‘im, ‘Ro. How else is he gonna know yer taken?”

“Taken? Well, it appears I may be out of the loop on that, as well, Logan.”

Stepping closer to her, Logan tipped his hat back to meet her eyes. His voice was low and deep as he spoke to her, “Darlin’ trust me when I say you’ll be the first to know when I’ve taken ya.”

Ororo closed her eyes as she felt his voice envelop her and caused color to rise to her cheeks.

“Why, ‘Ro, I never knew you blushed.” His voice returned to its previous lighter tone.

Ororo decided to join in his game. She closed the distance between them even more, their breaths intermingling. She smiled inwardly when she saw Logan tense and gulp silently. She maintained eye contact as she drew her mouth nearer, changing course at the last minute. She whispered seductively into his ear.

“I never had a reason to.”

This time it was Logan’s eyes which closed as he enjoyed the sensations her nearness was causing. A low purr began in his chest as he leaned closer.

Ororo chose that moment to step back and watch the man before her.

“Why, Logan, I never knew you purred.”

Logan’s eyes snapped open and he was met with Ororo’s beautiful smiling face.

“Yer a mean one, ‘Ro, mean.”

She chuckled softly as she returned to her previous task of gathering her belongings.

“Yer not gonna open yer gift?”

“I was planning to do so later, in a more appropriate location.” She spoke as she zipped her bag and shrugged on her shoes.

“Why’s that?”

“Two reasons, actually. First, I am most certain that opening that box would extend us past the five-minute exit plan Scott has enacted. And second, the gift was not addressed to Dream, it was addressed to Ororo Munroe. My cover’s been blown.”


Thirty minutes later, Scott and Jean’s loft…

“I still say we take the box back to the Blackbird to open it,” Scott stated.

“Relax, Scooter. My nose is better’n any bomb-sniffing dog any day of the week. And my hearing ain’t too bad, either. I told ya, there’s no bomb inside.”

“And we’ve already run the hand held scanner, too, Scott.”

“I know, Jean, but-“

“Scooter. Shut it.”

Realizing he was losing this battle, Scott shrugged his shoulders and placed his hand to his visor, ready to blast the box if anything was amiss when Ororo opened it. Ororo removed the bow and gold wrapping slowly. Her face held no apprehension as she removed the lid.

“Roses. Eleven long-stemmed roses.” She removed the card from the bottom of the box, reading the elegant script.

“She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.”

“Lord Byron and beautiful roses. Whoever this guy is, he has good taste,” Jean offered.

“The card bears no signature or name,” Ororo noted.

“So, there’s nothing else in the box? How do we know it’s even from our guy? Anyone could’ve sent those to you, ’Ro. In which case, we’ve got to figure out how your cover was blown.” Scott felt the need to be rational, ruling out no possibilities.

“Scott, I am sure this is from our gentleman. Please, trust me on this. ”

“And as far as how her cover was blown, ya can thank yerself, Scooter. Me an’ ‘Ro have psi-blocks that keep even Chuck out. Yers, I’m not so sure ‘bout,” Logan grumbled from the corner.

Scott knew Logan was right; he wasn’t always on guard while in the club. He was too preoccupied with watching out for Ororo. His psyche could have easily been compromised.

“Dammit, I’m sorry, Ororo. I must’ve lost my concentration.”

“It is quite alright, Scott. Maybe this is exactly what needed to happen,” Ororo reassured him.

“So, what’s our next move, then?”

“I think it’s time we give him what he wants.” Ororo spoke the obvious answer.

“Finally.”

“Can it, Scott” Jean’s request was unheard as Scott continued.

“I’ve been saying we should move in for months now, but, noo-oo-oo. No one listens to Scott. I am co-leader, you know?” There was no stopping him at this point. He had shifted from self-chastising to damn near angry that it took this long to see things his way.

Jean rolled her eyes at his mini-tirade. “Scott, we’ve explained why it was so important to wait.”

“Oh, yes, the ol’ ‘dangling the carrot’ theory. Whose brilliant idea was that? So, after nearly six months, now you think its time to make our move? Well, it’s about time you all finally joined this mission.”

Ororo raised her brow at Scott’s unexpected outburst. “Scott, your hysterics are duly noted, but wholly unnecessary. We will reconvene in the morning to exact a plan. I’m afraid this day has been full and I must retire. Jean, I trust you will enlighten Scott on our strategy.”

Jean nodded slowly as she stood behind Scott. “Oh, yeah, I’ll enlighten him, all right.”

Ororo had intended to bid Logan a good night before leaving, only to realize he no longer occupied the loft with them. When did he leave? She frowned and left Jean and Scott to their own devices.

Scott locked the door after Ororo left and turned to find his fiancée facing him with arms folded and a scowl on her beautiful face.

“What?”

“Oh, nothing. I just hope you don’t mind ‘dangling your carrot’ out here on the sofa, ‘cause that’s where you’re sleeping tonight.”

“Jean, you can’t be serious. I was only speaking as leader when I said that stuff. It’s in the best interest of the mission to get his over with quickly.”

“And I’m speaking as the fiancée who happened to come up with the ‘brilliant idea’ to wait this guy out.”

“…Damn.”

“Yep. And just so you don’t catch a case of my ‘dunce-itis’, I think it’s best you sleep out here on the sofa. Just to be on the safe side.”


Two blocks over…

Ororo landed soundlessly on the roof of her building. She stared into the clear night sky as she spoke, seemingly to no one in particular.

“In some cultures, people consider it rude to exit a meeting without so much as a word.”

No response.

“You know I have unending patience, Logan. Is this really the game you wish to play?”

Still no response.

“Very well, then. You can remain here, hidden in the shadows and sulking. I’ll just sit here and wait, Logan. But, I won’t wait very long; I have a big day planned tomorrow.”

Ororo had only taken two steps toward the ledge when Logan’s gruff voice spoke from the shadows on the roof.

“Who the hell says I’m sulking?”

“What else would a man do in the comfort of the shadows?” she asked, facing the shadows as she sat on the ledge.

Although he had yet to reveal himself, Ororo could see the moonlight reflect off Logan’s eyes. She sat gently on the ledge, opting to wait him out. Logan could see her every move with great detail, given his enhanced sight. Ororo was the epitome of regality and grace; she perched atop the ledge as comfortably and poised as a Queen would sit on a throne. His heart rate sped up just by watching her. Dammit.

More minutes of silence hung between the two. Ororo was true to her word of being a patient woman.

“What’re we doin’ here, ‘Ro?” He chose to remain in the shadows.

“Attempting to have a conversation, I presumed.” Although she would not admit it, she was beginning to grow tired of Logan’s refusal to join her out in the moonlight. However, she never betrayed her thoughts, she merely crossed her right leg over her left and rested both hands on her knee.

Damn. Logan cursed internally as he could feel something rising within him at the sight Ororo presented. She looked so inviting that way, the moonlight dancing off her platinum hair and mocha skin. Oh, yeah, something was rising, all right. Something…primal.

She’s got a knack for rearranging the space in a guy’s pants.


“Ya know what I mean, ‘Ro. Dammit, who are we really kiddin’ here? Me an’ you, we’re as diff’rent as night and day. I mean, this’ll never work. Might as well quit while we’re ahead.”

Ororo’s brow furrowed as she tried to follow the path that led them from discussing the mission at Scott and Jean’s to ending their yet-to-be-defined relationship.

“I’m sorry, Logan, I do not follow where this is coming from.”

“See what I mean, we’re on two diff’rent pages. It ain’t gonna get any easier. Hence, quitting while we’re ahead.”

Thoroughly piqued at Logan’s behavior and their conversation, Ororo narrowed her eyes into two slits. She folded her arms under her bosom for good measure. A small chuckle passed her lips before she spoke.

“You are afraid.”

Logan made a small sound of disgust in his throat, still hidden in the shadows.

“The indomitable Wolverine, afraid of “ “

Ororo’s words were cut off by a low growl from the shadows. Low, but just as dangerous as a full fledged roar. “Watch it, ‘Ro.”

The challenge had been thrown down the minute she stepped onto the roof; there was no need to back down now.

“Okay, then why don’t you tell me what has you so afraid, Logan?”

“I ain’t afraid of shit!” Ororo flinched slightly as she heard his gruff rebuttal.

Rising to her full height, Ororo knew her next words had to be chosen carefully, or Logan would run out on not only their conversation, but on THEM. She cocked her head slightly to the left and stared directly into the area she assumed his eyes would be. Time seemed to stand still as she spoke.

“Chicken. Shit.”

Things moved really fast from that point. One minute, she was standing near the roof’s ledge and the next, Logan leapt from the shadows and pinned her to the rooftop. Her chest heaved as deeply as his as she fought to rein in her temper.

“Who tha hell ya callin’ chickenshit, darlin’?”

Gone was the brilliant silver of Logan’s eyes, replaced by the amber hue of the Wolverine. He had chosen to answer her challenge instead of Logan. Ororo could feel her own control slipping over her mutation and the white glow beginning to cloud over her eyes.

“Logan, I tolerated your insistence to converse from the shadows. I will not tolerate conversing whilst pinned to the rooftop.”

Although her voice was steady, it held a lethal edge to it. That only served to engage the Wolverine further. He answered with a low growl and drove his claws into the roof, effectively caging her in. Ororo’s anger was so great that she didn’t have a chance to feel the usual uneasiness that signaled her claustrophobia was engaged. The winds picked up around them and small sparks of electricity danced from her eyes.

“Move.”

More growling, which she assumed meant ”no.” Just as she was about to unleash a bolt of lightning into his unguarded rear, a thought occurred to Ororo. As she reined in her control over the elements and her temper, she allowed her eyes to return to their normal cerulean hue. She took a chance and gently cupped Wolverine’s face, looking him directly in the eye.

“You do not scare me, so stop trying to.”

She could see that she had succeeded in confusing the Wolverine as his brow furrowed momentarily before he issued another low growl.

“I know what you’re trying to prove and this will not work. We’re not that different, you and I. I can be just as dangerous as you, remember. I am Storm, Mistress of the Elements.”

She demonstrated this by letting her mutation take full control. The winds picked up noticeably and rain began to pelt his back, the lightning dancing across the night sky was mirrored in her eyes. Then, just as soon as it began, it stopped.

“Now, Wolverine, if you do not mind, Ororo would like to speak with Logan.” She folded her arms over her chest as much as she could in the confined space and waited.

Logan could feel the Wolverine still fighting for dominance. He shook his head repeatedly and breathed deeply, trying to calm the beast. Once he felt he had regained control, he opened his eyes to see Ororo staring up at him. Her blue eyes nearly took his breath with their brilliance. His stance relaxed from attack to casual as he braced himself on knees and forearms on either side of Ororo.

“Dangerous game ya played, ‘Ro.”

“I play no games, Logan. Now, are we going to talk like people or fight like mutants?”

“Talkin’s good. Fer now.”

“That also means we either sit or stand like civilized people,” she added, indicating their precarious position on the rooftop.

“Nah, I like this way better,” Logan responded with a gleam in his eye.

“Logan.”

“Alright, alright. You sure know how to knock the wind outta a guy’s sails.” He sat back on his haunches as Ororo rose and leaned on her arms for support, choosing to remain seated on the rooftop.

“Now, what was said at tonight’s meeting to trigger this outburst?”

Logan found he couldn’t reply to her question, feeling silly for even allowing such a thing to bother him.

“Ah, more of the silent treatment. Very well, we shall wait.” She crossed her arms and gave him a hard look.

Exhaling heavily, Logan surprised her by speaking so soon. “Did ya like that poem?”

“Logan, what does this have to do with”“

“Just answer the question, ‘Ro. Please.” Logan himself was surprised by the vulnerability in his voice.

Ororo noticed it, as well. “I suppose I did. But, Logan, you already know I like those types of things.”

“’Ro, I don’t speak fancy like that and I don’t wax poetic. I mean, I’m sure I can if I want to, but I’d rather cut the through all the bull, ya know?”

“I know all this, Logan.”

He silenced her with a pleading look in his eyes. He chose that moment to sit directly across from her, his legs folded beneath him. Ororo sensed he was working his way to something important and acquiesced to his request. Logan ran a hand down his face, took one more deep breath, and looked her squarely in the eye.

“I’m in love with ya, ‘Ro.”

Well, that is most unexpected, she thought. She was sure her eyes had doubled in size at his statement.

“Now, I know we ain’t even been on a date, yet. Hell, I’m still trying to come up with a way to define ‘unexpected.’ I been wracking my brain with a way to wine and dine ya to show ya how I feel. Then, tonight ya get those flowers and the poem”I realized I can’t be that kind of man. The kind of man you need and deserve, all refined-like. That’s why I left Scooter and Jeannie’s place. I started thinking ‘bout all kinds of crap. You like the theater. I like movies. You like opera. I don’t. You like fine wines and French Food. I like beer and French Fries. Do I need to keep goin’?”

“No.”

Logan rose to his feet, shoulders slumped in defeat. Without another word, he began to walk toward the fire escape.

“I never asked you to be that man, Logan.” Her words stopped him in his tracks. In fact, he did not move another step, paralyzed by the weighted statement.

“Never have I asked you to change, Logan. Never have I asked you to do one thing that would make you uncomfortable. Never have I asked you to be anyone but Logan. That is the man I have fallen in love with, no one else.”

Logan could feel the heat emanating off her body as she came to a stop directly behind him. Her warm breath tickled the hairs on his neck. Still, he was too afraid to turn and face her. He was afraid that if he did turn around she would laugh in his face for his stupid insecurities. Ororo surprised him be wrapping one arm over his shoulder and the other around his waist. It was as if she was enveloping him with her love. He could also feel her trembling as she held him. Logan placed his hands over hers and leaned into her embrace, nuzzling his cheek with hers.

“Damn, darlin’. I’m sorry for being a dumbass. I promise, I’ll work on it. But why are you shakin’, darlin’?”

“I was truly afraid you would walk out on us before we had a chance.”

“How can ya be so sure this’ll even work out, ‘Ro?”

“Because I have faith in us, Logan. More faith than you can believe.”

Logan turned in her arms and enveloped her in his own embrace. His hands came to rest on her hips as he stared deeply into her eyes.

“Guess I better stock up on my own faith, huh?”

Ororo slowly closed the distance between them, dropping her voice a tone lower and speaking through a slow smile. “As I said, my patience is unending.”

Logan’s sharp intake of air was coupled with the dilating of his pupils. He was surprised to find his own voice had dropped an octave.

“Like I said before, in my world, ‘unexpected’ is a good thing.”

Logan closed the space between them even more and licked his lips in anticipation. Ororo’s eyes narrowed as she could feel their breaths intermingling. When she spoke, her voice was a sultry whisper.

“Logan, something’s happening.”

“You can say that again, darlin’.”

“No, Logan. Something is happening.”

“Darlin’, I told ya, I’m trying to get something going right now. Now hold still so I can kiss ya.”

Ororo stopped Logan with her hands on his chest. Her voice was tight and urgent, however, it still sounded like sex to Logan’s ears. His grip tightened on her waist and his hips reflexively bucked.

“Logan, focus. Smell the air.”

Logan finally registered what she was saying and obeyed. Sniffing the air, he cursed himself for being so careless.

Dammit! Focus, bub. Being careless can get you and ‘Ro killed.

“Stop chastising yourself. How do you want to handle this?”

Sniffing the air again, Logan realized the scents were vaguely familiar but he couldn’t place them. “Five of’em, and they stink to hell. We can do this with our eyes closed, darlin’. I don’t even need the Wolverine for this.”

“Six.”

“What?”

“There’s six people, not five.” Ororo stated matter-of-factly.

Logan narrowed his eyes in disbelief.

“’Ro, the nose don’t lie. If I said there’s five, then there’s five. Now, I’m gonna circle around and come from the shadows over here. You take to the skies. We’ll ambush ’em.”

Ororo raised a brow. As co-captain she was usually the one giving commands. Pick your battles, Ororo.

“All right, Logan. But I still say there are six.”

Logan made sure she heard his low growl before releasing her. He fled to the shadows while Ororo took to the skies as ordered.

Once she had reached her position, Ororo whispered and carried her voice on the winds to Logan. She knew he would hear.

“Logan. We will finish what we started.”

Damn right we will, darlin’.

::SNIKT:: Ready and waitin’.

Several minutes later, Logan could hear muffled voices whispering. Sounded like they were arguing.

Damn clowns. Too easy.

“*Oomph* I don’t see why we had to climb the freaking ladder. It’s twenty stories, for crying out loud!”

“Shut up! And keep moving. Your ass is in my face!”

“Both of you shut it! The X-File didn’t say anything about climbing a fire ladder in this mission.”

“Quiet. All of you.” Hm, where do I know that accent from?

“Hey, don’t think we’re afraid of you ‘cause your all big and stuff.” Suddenly Logan heard muffled curses and several “oomphs.”

“When I said I wanted to get up here fast, I didn’t think you would throw us, dumbass.”

Logan’s eyes narrowed as he finally registered the scents and voices. He was about to step from the shadows when he heard Ororo’s voice on the wind.

Wait, Logan. I say we teach them a lesson. Danger Room scenario Alpha2? I will summon Jean and Scott. Oh, and Logan?

Yeah?

Six. Just like I said.

Grrrr……

Logan’s smile was ear to ear as he lowered himself to the rooftop, hiding even deeper in the shadows.

“Ahright, we’re heyah. Now what?”

“Duh, we shadow the X-men and help when needed. Only they won’t know it.”

“Shadow the X-Men without them knowing? These are the X-Men we’re talking about. Who approved this plan?”

“Shove it, Icicle!”

As the six would-be secret agents continued to argue on the rooftop, a red hue began to form before them.

“Uh, guys?”

“Not now, Jubes, I’m about to see if Icepop can put himself back together after I throw him off the roof.”

The winds began to pick up slightly as a light fog slowly encircled them. The red light had grown to encase the entire rooftop. A grating metal scraping could be heard in the distance.

“What the fu-“

“Ali!”

“Whatever, guys. What the hell is all this, HalloweenTown?”

“I-I don’t know. There was nothing about this in the file.”

Ororo appeared out of nowhere and landed with a thud on the rooftop.

“Children! What are you doing here?! The mission has gone awry. I can’t fight them all by myself.”

“Fight who, femme?”

“Me, bub.” Wolverine appeared from the shadows, his shirt torn to shreds and his eyes glowing red. His chest heaved as his teeth gleamed in the moonlight.

“Oh, no! They’ve gotten to Logan, too!”

“What d’yah mean, Storm?” Rogue asked as she helped her friend and leader to her feet.

“Magneto ambushed us and had his telepath turn the other X-Men against me. I’ve been fighting them off for days. Scott and Jean are dead.”

All color drained from Bobby’s face. “Holy crap.”

“Run, children, run!”

“No, we fight with you Storm,” Peter offered as he shifted to his metallic state.

“Good, Tin Man, I’m gonna enjoy this. After him, you’re next, Windrider.” Winking at Ororo, Wolverine’s eyes were golden as he salivated at the thought of a fight.

Peter swallowed thickly, “Katya, if I die…run!”

“No, Logan, it’s me, Marie. Yah can’t do this. Fight it!”

Growl. “Don’t wanna.”

Suddenly, five sentinels appeared from nowhere and surrounded the group on the rooftop.

“Sentinels! We’re going to die!” Alison’s normally cool façade was long gone.

“Well, if we must die, then we shall go out fighting. Logan, stand down or I will have no choice.” Ororo’s voice was hard as steel.

Wolverine slowly advanced; Ororo responded by allowing her mutation to slip. Her eyes white and dancing with lightning, she called upon the elements and struck Wolverine with a massive lightning bolt. His body was thrown clear off the roof, dropping twenty stories to the ground.

Marie tried to stop it all. “Ororo! Logan! Nooooo!!!!”

“Cher, he’s gone. Now we best focus on these Sentinels or we be joinin’ ’em.” Remy attempted to console her.

The warning was too late. The Sentinels had closed in and they were cornered.

“Storm, what do we do?!” Jubilee’s screams could barely be heard over the chaos surrounding them.

Storm rose to the heavens, lightning dancing from her eyes to her fingertips. Her voice was eerily calm as she spoke.

“The only thing you can do, children. Tell me why you’re here.”

They all appeared baffled by the odd question.

“W-w-what? I don’t think this is the time to discuss this!” Kitty screamed over the melee.

“What better time to discuss it, cupcake?” Logan’s voice grumbled from behind them.

“L-L-Logan, I thought you were dead!”

“Do I look dead to you, Ice Cream?” Logan’s voice was as calm as ever. ::SNIKT:: The claws were back. “Now, spill.”

“We hacked into the X-Frame computer and got the mission files! The Professor never tells us anything!” Jubilee was a basket case at this point.

“Calm yourself, Jubilation Lee.” Ororo’s voice was warm as she spoke.

“Calm?! Calm?! We’re about to die, Logan has turned on us, and Miss Grey and Mr. Summers are dead! How can I be calm?!”

“Because it’s not real, Jubilee.” Scott’s voice was heard in the mist.

The Sentinels disappeared into thin air as the fog dissipated to reveal Scoot and Jean. Logan and Ororo joined their two teammates and faced the six juveniles. Ororo stepped to the forefront, her blues eyes sparkling with reprimand. The teens were drenched in sweat and tears as their chests all heaved. They all looked as if they had gone through the ringer and back.

“Now, as I asked before, why are you here?”

The four X-Men never received an answer as all six teens collapsed as if on cue.

“Well, damn. Now we gotta cart their asses downstairs?”
Best laid Plans.... by natadunn
“I think we’ve finally made a breakthrough, sire.”

“Damian, you know you and I are beyond such formalities. Please, address me as Theos, Lord and Master.”

Rolling his eyes, Damian fought the urge to throw himself from the penthouse balcony.

Really, how can one be so vain and the Gods not punish him? He thought briefly, then recalled the answer. Right, because he slew them all first.

Currently, Damian and his Lord and Master were discussing results of his latest attempt at Ororo’s affections while enjoying fine wine and the view from his upper Westside penthouse building. As usual, Damian relayed the recent events while Theos interjected on occasion to remind them both of his greatness and immense power.

“So, tell me, Damian…do you still desire this female for yourself?”

The question caught Damian off-guard and as a result, he ended up choking on his sip of wine. As he fought to regain his composure, Theos looked on with bored interest.

“I shall take that as a ‘yes.’ She must truly be…how do you say, ‘all this and then some of that.’”

Damian shook his head as he was finally able to clear his throat. “It’s ‘all that and then some,’ sire.”

“So it would seem.” Theos eyed him suspiciously.

“I can assure you, sire, that I do not desire this female as you believe. I merely believe she will be the one to end your search. A true Queen befitting of you.”

Theos raised an interested brow at this. “Then perhaps it is time I address her personally and make my intentions fully known.”

“No!” Damian spoke quickly. Too quickly. “ W-w-what I mean, sire, is this is a fine dance we are orchestrating and we are so close to our goal. I would hate for her to flee before you are given the chance to fully enjoy her. I mean, how could she not be intimidated by your omnipotence?” He inclined his head to show his respect, hoping to win Theos over by once again reminding him of how great he truly was.

Theos seemed placated enough by this as he responded by shrugging his shoulders and returning his attention to his wine goblet. In all truth, Damian had grown to admire the snow-haired beauty that invaded his dreams on a nightly basis. As his pursuit wore on, he had come to realize that in all the years of servitude to his lord, he had never once taken any treasures for his own. Never. Ororo was a woman of great power. Although he had only one small glimpse into her mind, it was enough to convince him that this woman was special. Even with her superior psychic shields, Damian could see the waves of energy flowing around her, her aura exuded power. Power so great that, combined with his own abilities, he might be able to break the life bond with Theos and overthrow him. Freedom. Finally.

“So, there have been no complications, I take it?”

“None thus far, sire. She does have a constant companion, but he seems harmless enough. I do not sense any exceptionally strong bond between them.”

“Never underestimate an unknown foe, Damian. I have found over the centuries that it is always those who defeat you in the end.”

“Certainly, sire, certainly. At any rate, I have already revealed that I am aware of her true identity. If she is half as wise as I believe, she will not refuse my next request.”

“Very well, then. I bid you good fortune and hope the next time we speak that my Queen will be in tow.”

Damian again inclined his head as a show of respect and then turned to leave.

“Oh, and Damian?” Theos’ voice halted his progression.

“Yes, sire?”

“Take Ios and Deos with you, for your own safety, of course.”

“Sire, certainly I can handle any threat myself.”

“This is not for debate, Damian.” Theos indicated his ire with a hard glare.

“As you wish.”

Theos narrowed his eyes as he watched Damian’s form leave his sight. He had begun to have suspicions about his most trusted servant’s loyalties as this particular pursuit drew on. Never before had Damian taken this long to bring him a female. As a precaution he contacted his old friend, Morpheus, to conduct some research. Morpheus, the god of sleep from the Greek Pantheon, could enter the dreams of any and discover their deepest secrets. He would not dare to say the information Morpheus relayed to him was surprising. However, he was intrigued at how Damian kept his thoughts so cleverly concealed. Given the life-bond he shared with Damian, he was always privy to his deepest thoughts and emotions. It appeared the man was truly infatuated with Ororo; not that he blamed him, though. From the images he pulled from Damian’s memories, she was a truly astonishing sight to behold. He purposely instructed Damian to include Ios and Deos from here on out as he knew they would be his downfall. Their loyalties to him were made nearly indestructible through fear; they would reveal Damian’s duplicity to save their own skins. He smiled evilly and raised his wine glass in a grand gesture before drinking.

“As I said Damian, know thy enemy.”


Meanwhile…

“So, how do you all wanna do this?”

“Well, I could always start with nightmares and see how it plays out.”

“Nah, the ol’ ‘claws in yer face’ might work better.”

“Jean! Logan! Stop. I will wake them and then we will decide how to torture them.”

Ororo approached the mass of teenagers that currently occupied her loft floor. She gracefully lifted her arms to the air and allowed her mutation to slip. As her eyes began to glow faint white, rain began to fall inside her loft over the teens. She gradually increased the pressure to a small rainstorm in the concentrated area. Marie, Jubilee, and Alison began to stir slightly, but their eyes still remained closed. Ororo narrowed her eyes and cocked her head slightly to the right. It was obvious she would need to step it up a bit.

“Uh-oh, One Eye, you an’ Jeanie better cover your ears. Fast.”

Scott and Jean did as told and seconds later were glad for it. Ororo had created a full blown thunderstorm within the five by five area the teens’ forms occupied, followed by a thunderclap so loud it shook the windows.

“Wha--!”

“Aack!”

“Sonuva--!”

Ororo gave a small smile as she finally received the response she was seeking. Following the thunderous boom, all six teens scrambled to escape the perceived threat. The sight was quite comical, seeing the teens slip over and over again in the wet mess on the floor, grunting as they continuously bumped into each other. After Ororo felt that they had suffered enough, the impromptu storm ended and she buffeted them with warm wind gusts to calm them, as well as dry the area. The four adults stood shoulder to shoulder and cast hard glares in the general direction of their guests. Having regained some of their composure, the teens gave their best effort to look their mentors in the eye. Scott was the first to speak.

“Good, you’re all awake. Now, sit and talk.”

Bobby could be heard clearing his throat in preparation to speak. He stepped forward to address the adults.

“Can it, Cream-sicle,” Logan growled.

“But I can explain”“ Bobby began.

“Don’ need ta, bub. The only words you seem ta know are ‘girls’, ‘cool’, and ‘girls.’ None’o’ that’ll help ya now.”

Bobby made a zipping motion with a hand over his mouth as he resumed his previous spot in their impromptu line-up. Dang, all I was gonna say was the girls had this really cool idea and here we are, he thought.

“Perhaps someone else would care to proffer this information.” Ororo spoke with all the authority the co-leader of the X-Men would have, accentuated with folded arms and a raised brow. Jean followed suit beside her. Logan appeared relaxed, but his eyes said he was anything but. Scott stood by Logan, his face stoic and intimidating as ever behind his quartz shades.

Silence.

“I don’t think Ms. Munroe meant speaking was an option, more like an order,” Jean added, her voice laced with authority, as well.

“Wolvie, sir, if I may”“

“Not you, either, Bubble-pop. With all your mallrat lingo, we’d never understand ya. And what’d I say about calling me ‘Wolvie’?”

Proverbial bubble popped, Jubilee stepped back in line, “Yessir, Wolv”er, Mr. Logan.”

Kitty peered from her position on the far right of the lineup all the way down to Marie, who stood on the opposite end. Marie gave a slight shake of her head to indicate she would most definitely not be the one talking. She gave a deep sigh before raising her right hand.

“Permission to speak, please.”

All four adults acknowledged her request with a nod of their heads.

“See, all of us…see, we had, um…” she stammered.

“Katherine, this is not a test, so stop your stammering and stalling,” Ororo reprimanded.
“And stand up straight.”

Standing to her full five foot five height, Kitty stuck out her chin and breathed evenly, calming herself.

“Well, to be honest, we were all wondering what kind of mission would require you all to be away so long. We asked the Professor on several occasions, but he never told us. He always said it was ‘confidential X-Men business,’” she accentuated with air quotes. “We’re X-Men, too, and we miss you guys. Sure, every now and then Mr. Summers or Mr. Logan stop by, but it’s not the same as having you and Miss Grey there, Miss Munroe.”

“Yeah, an’ tha mansion ain’t quite home without all of ya guys there, at tha same time,” Marie added.

“And we miss seeing you guys. Even you, Mr. Crabby-pants.” Alison regarded Logan with head nod in his direction.

The four adults were, in a word, stunned. These were not the responses they were expecting to hear.

“So, as you can see, homes, we jus’ be missin’ y’all an’ came out ’o concern,” Remy added, his red eyes faintly glowing.

“Yo, Gumbo, we get the point, no need fer yer empathy mumbo-jumbo.”

“Eh, perdon,” Remy replied with a coy smile, his eyes ceasing to glow. “Sorry, mon frère, force o’ habit.”

“Well, not quite the answer I thought I’d hear, but I can understand. It has been a while since we’ve all been back at the mansion.” Jean’s voice softened as she spoke.

”Yes, and I apologize children if you feel as we”me especially”have abandoned you. But, we are on a mission and you could not only have compromised that, but also placed yourself in harm’s way.” While Ororo sympathized, she did not waiver in her reprimand.

“And we’re really sorry for that, Miss Munroe, but we just missed you guys and we also wanted to help out,” Kitty rebutted.

“And we read the mission file, so we can help you guys out, too. We’re ready, trust me.” Alison’s eyes shone brightly as she spoke.

“’Helping out’ would have meant staying at the mansion with the Professor. You guys are the oldest ones there and our next line of defense when we aren’t available. That would have been the responsible thing to do.” Scott spoke from behind his glasses, arms still folded across his chest.

The teens all responded by lowering their heads in defeat, feeling thoroughly scolded.

“But,” Jean’s voice rang clear, “they are here now, and appear to know about our mission”“ she gave a pointed glance in Kitty’s direction. “So, we may as well assess our options at this point.”

The teens’ relief was palpable. Peter and Bobby’s shoulders relaxed for the first time since Ororo awakened them .

“Jean, you can’t be serious. They’re kids.”

“They are also X-Men, Scott. You needn’t forget that. Whether we like it or not, their presence here has changed things,” Ororo reasoned.

“Yeah, Scooter. ‘Ro’s bein’ watched all the time, this creep’s probably already been told the rugrats are here.”

Sighing in defeat, Scott nodded. “I guess you’re right.”

“Um, sorry to sound slow, but if Miss Munroe is being watched, wouldn’t all the commotion on the rooftop blow her cover?” Jubilee questioned.

“Nope. All that was in your minds.” Jean replied.

“What? No way!” Bobby chimed in.

Jean gave Bobby an ‘are you kidding me’ look.

Oh, right. ‘Miss Grey, master telepath.’ Sorry.”

“So what’s the plan?” Kitty and Alison both asked in unison.

“Well, no time like tha present ta take a vacation, I say,” Logan replied nonchalantly.
On the same page.... by natadunn
Ororo’s loft….

“Well, no time like tha present ta take a vacation, I say,” Logan replied nonchalantly.


Logan was on the receiving end of eight shocked pairs of eyes and one mildly amused cerulean pair.

“Logan, this is hardly the time for jokes,” Scott stated.

“What I think he is saying, Scott, is that we need a change of scenery to plan our next move. We need to adapt with this situation,” Ororo explained.

Logan rewarded her with a slow smile and wink. Smart girl, he thought.

“I say you guys should change up the personnel. Say…me and Remy should probably take point at that ‘Heavenly Bodies’ club and give you Mr. Summers a rest, Logan,” Bobby offered while Remy gave him the signal for thumbs up.

Marie and Alison chose that moment to turn and face their respective beaus. Marie leveled Remy with glare from her green eyes, Alison opted for the more direct approach”direct, as in a punch to the gut. Remy’s smirk soon disappeared and he gave Marie a hopeful smile. Bobby, on the other hand, was presently doubled over in pain. Logan didn’t even try to hide his amusement at Alison’s response.

“Children, now, there is no need for violence” Ororo said, the humor in her voice belying the attempt at reprimand.

“I dunno, ‘Ro. A lil’ violence ev’ry now an’ then don’t hurt anybody. Well, ‘cept maybe Icepop here,” Logan said through the smile that was presently residing on his face.

Everyone in the room, except for Bobby of course, chuckled at Logan’s comment. Scott was the first to recover and immediately switched back into leader-mode.

“All right, Logan…what’s our next move, then?”

“Like I said, Scooter, time fer a little vacation.”



Next day, club ‘Heavenly Bodies’…

“Whaddya mean, vacation, Dream?!” Veasy’s combed-over piece of hair seemed to lift higher with every word.

“Just as I said, Mr. Veasy. I would like to take some time off for rest. I have worked at this establishment for several months without a break. I should think I have earned one, wouldn’t you agree?”

“B-b-but what about the customers? They love ya’! What’ll I say when they show and you’re not here?”

“Tell them whatever you desire; I will return at the end of next week.”

“Dream…I-I-I don’t know if I can let you go for two whole weeks.” Veasy was nervous as he spoke. Although he couldn’t say why, Dream always made him a little nervous…and extremely horny. There was something about here eyes and how she always seemed so calm. Nobody can be that calm all the time, he thought.

“Mr. Veasy, you misunderstand me. I was not asking for permission. I was simply giving you the courtesy of a notification.”

Veasy’s next words were cut off as he realized he was standing on the opposite end of the infamous icy glare. He had only been victim to it once, but he had seen several of his bouncers receive a similar response. Logan contained the growl that threatened to erupt from his chest. He was currently leaning against the wall outside Veasy’s office, waiting for Ororo to emerge. Even though he could clearly hear that Ororo had the situation well in hand, he could still feel the beast clawing to get out and protect its mate.

Mate?! What tha hell? One minute, we’re feeling our way through things, now she’s my mate? Shaking his head to get rid of the wayward thought, Logan again focused on the occupants of the room.

“Look, Dream, whaddya say we agree to four days, instead?”

Ororo decided she had grown tired of this conversation and grabbed her purse before heading to the door to exit the office.

“As I stated, Mr. Veasy. It was not a request.”

Ororo was met on the other side of the door by Logan’s stoic face, his eyes zeroed in on Veasy just over her right shoulder. She recognized the look in his eyes”he was straining to keep the beast at bay. Before he could act his urges, she placed a hand to his chest in a calming matter. Steel gray met sapphire as Logan locked eyes with Ororo.

Mate don’t sound so bad.

She gave a slight shake of her head; her eyes remained locked on his as she spoke to Veasy, her voice brooking no argument.

“Mr. Veasy, I am sure you can survive for two weeks without my presence. Just spend the time counting all the excess money that has been coming in since my debut.” She broke eye contact with Logan long enough to cast Veasy a glance over her shoulder.
“After all, I would hate to see you lose so much if I decided to work elsewhere.”

Veasy nearly choked on the stub of a cigar that seemed to be ever-present in the right corner of his mouth. His eyes bugged slightly as he processed her last statement.

Lose the dame, lose the money. It can’t be that hard to figure out, Leon! Veasy could hear the rational part of his mind scream at him. His mouth opened and closed twice but no words came. Shut it before you lose this prize, moron!

By the time Veasy completed his inner dialogue, Logan and Ororo had nearly reached the hallway which would lead them to the rear exit. Obviously, Dream had no intention of changing her mind. Veasy could literally see dollar bills walking out the door.

“Uh, Dream…on second thought, take two weeks vacation!” he yelled to their retreating frames.

Ororo turned and gave him a small nod of acknowledgement. Then she and her companion were gone as quickly as they came.

Veasy scratched his balding head as he immediately starting thinking of ways to tide his customers over until the return of Dream. Suddenly, both of his bushy brows rose as he had an idea. The perfect idea, to be exact.

“That’s it! ’Countdown to the return of Dream’. I’ll tease them, a few days at a time. Oh boy, the fellas’ll be beating down the doors by the time she comes back. And think of all the dough they’ll spend.” Veasy rubbed his hands in anticipation as he scurried back to his office, his step a little lighter than before.
And away we go!. by natadunn
Later that evening, aboard the Blackbird….

“…to be honest, Ororo, I’d feel better if we could all travel to the safe house together.” Scott folded his arms across his chest as he spoke.

Oh, Scott, when are you going to learn you can’t use your ‘leader stance’ all the time? Jean mused, shaking her head at her fiancé’s antics.

“Okay, what’s gonna happen next is gonna be so cool,” Alison whispered to Jubilee as they watched the scene unfold from their seats.

“Yeah, Miss Munroe’s gonna go all ‘zen master calm’ on Mr. Summers and blow his rationale outta the water,” Bobby offered in a hushed voice from behind the girls.

“While I understand your reasoning, Scott, as Logan previously stated, I very well may have someone tracking my every move. Would it not prove more prudent to have our cover story at least seem feasible?” Ororo replied, her velvety voice calm as ever.

Jubilee frowned, “That’s it?”

Alison was almost giddy as she whispered her reply, “Wait for it, wait for it.”

“Now, Ororo, you know we are more than capable of evading any tail. Plus, we have the cloaking--“

“And, while I have the utmost confidence in your abilities as a pilot, Scott, did we not just agree to try and do as much damage control as possible with this mission? Although the gentleman knows my real name, it might not be in our best interest to see me whisked away in the Blackbird marked with the X-Men’s trademark symbol. Would it be more believable for a stripper to take a vacation on her own million dollar private jet or travel as most people do”in a car?”

Scott’s mouth opened and shut twice, but no sound came forth.

“Check…”

“And mate,” Bobby finished for Alison.

Jubilee crossed her arms across her chest and grinned at the baffled look on Mr. Summer’s face. He truly had no comeback for Miss Munroe’s reasoning.

“Totally cool. I wanna be just like her when I grow up.” Her voice sounded awestruck as she spoke.

Scott had yet to respond, still trying to find a response. Jean felt pity toward her fiancé and joined him, rubbing tiny circles on his back as she spoke, “I think that’s a good idea, Ororo. You and Logan take the Land Rover and we’ll meet at the safe house in say…a day and a half? As a matter of fact, why don’t we make it a day trip for us all? We’ll set the coordinates to send the Blackbird back to the mansion and take both of the SUVs out for a couple of weeks.”

Ororo smiled her thanks to her friend. “Sounds like a plan, Jean.”

“Jean, I’m not sure that’s a good plan. What if we need the Blackbird?” Scott questioned.

“Scooter. We are the X-Men. I’m sure we can find a way to survive without it for a few days. If it’ll make ya feel better, we can set this puppy to come running back to us in a week or so.” The sarcasm dripped off Logan’s every word.

“No need to chide him, Logan. He has already lost the previous argument. A man can only take so much defeat in one day,” Ororo whispered, low enough for only his ears to hear.

Logan gave a sheepish grin and shrugged his shoulders in return.

When it was obvious Scott had again lost the battle, Jean cut in.

“Well, it’s settled then, we’ll take the SUVs. Now, to figure out the riding arrangements…”

“Me an’ Remy’ll ride with Miss Munroe and Logan,” Marie spoke up quickly.

Remy gave her an appreciative wink.

“And so will me and Bobby!” Alison stated excitedly. No way would she get stuck in a car with Mr. Summers. She pictured a trip with him going somewhat similar to that of the family in ”National Lampoon’s Vacation.” While funny, it was still a little too corny for her tastes.

Kitty shot daggers at both her friends as she realized that she and Peter would have to join Mr. Summers and Miss Grey by default.

Narrowing her eyes, she leaned close enough for Alison and Marie to hear, “I’ll get you back for this. Oh, yes, I will.”

“Alright, let’s unload the Blackbird and get the trucks,” Scott ordered.

Nearly everyone had left the cockpit area when Marie realized Jubilee had yet to leave her seat. As she neared her friend, she saw a look of utter horror on her face.

“Jubie, what’s wrong, sugah?”

“I..I…I just realized I’m gonna be stuck in a car with Mr. Summers, Miss Grey, Kitty, and Peter.”

“So?”

Jubilee’s head whipped around so quick it scared Marie, “So? So? That means that I’ll have to alternate between barfing out the window because of Kitty and Peter’s making out or Mr. Summer’s lame driving music! Kitty’s right, I’m gonna get you guys for this.”

And with that, she stomped off, ready to get this part of the vacation over with.

Sixty miles later on Route 44….

Ororo fought to hide the smile that kept trying to emerge. However, every time she looked in Logan’s direction, she couldn’t help but chuckle. Logan gripped the wheel so hard his knuckles turned white, his lips in a tight line. It took every ounce of control to keep his eyes on the road ahead and his hands off Bobby’s scrawny neck.

Currently, Bobby was doing his best impression of Logan’s gruff voice, “He says, ‘Icepop, when my foot thaws out, it’s gonna find a permanent residence in yer rear end.’ Then he slid a good ten feet before he hit the stairs!”

The other three teens in the car burst into laughter after hearing Bobby’s re-telling of the prank he played on Logan when he first came to the mansion. Although Logan assured Bobby it was all ‘water under the bridge,’ it still irked him to have been goosed so well.

Fighting through the giggles, Alison spoke, “Man, I’d have paid top dollar to see that. Imagine the big, bad Wolverine with his foot and claws stuck in ice blocks, sliding across the rec room floor like a hockey puck!” she had barely finished before a new round of giggles erupted.

“Ah, Logan….” Marie’s statement was interrupted by another giggle, “L-Logan, I never knew you were… so light on yah feet!”

More laughter.

Just as Logan had decided to hit cruise control and introduce Bobby to each of his claws individually, he felt Ororo’s warm hand on his forearm. He turned to her and felt all his anger melt away from looking into her eyes. She gave him a warm smile and mouthed the word “calm” to him. Logan took a deep, calming breath before returning her smile.

“Bobby, while I’m sure that was an entertaining episode, it may not have been the smartest idea to remind Mr. Logan of that incident. Didn’t you say you had forgotten all about that, Logan?” Ororo’s voice held the slightest hint of amusement.

Oh, yeah. Fergot all about it til’ just now. Guess you an’ me will be having a talk once this car stops, eh, boy?” Logan made sure to make eye contact with Bobby in the rearview mirror, allowing the boy to see just a glimpse of the Wolverine.

He was rewarded when all of the color drained from Bobby’s face and he promptly fainted in Alison’s lap. Allison gave an exasperated sigh.

“Great, Logan, just great. Do you have any idea how much he drools when he’s unconscious? These are new pants, for crying out loud!”

Logan allowed himself a small chuckle and gave Ororo a small wink as he began whistling to a song on the radio.

Yep, a vacation is just what the doctor ordered.

Meanwhile, two cars ahead….


“…and remember, when we get there, we’ll need to make sure there’s enough firewood in case the weather turns too cold, somebody will need to do a short patrol of the property to make sure nothing’s been disturbed…” Scott’s mentally ran down the list of things to do once they arrived at Xavier’s safe house.

A small sigh escaped Jean’s as she slept on peacefully in the passenger side seat.

Peter’s enormous sleeping body took up most of the second row seat, Kitty’s head resting on his chest as she slept.

“…are you taking all this in, Jubilee? Hey, if you want, you can be in charge of the bed linens when we get there. Speaking of, we’ll need to set up a cleaning schedule for everyone…” he droned on.

Jubilee sat on her third-row seat, a fake smile plastered on her face as she nodded to Mr. Summers. Once he realized Jean, Kitty, and Peter were asleep ten minutes into the trip, he had made an effort to keep her attention.

“You know what I like to do when I’m on a long drive, Jubilee?”

She was almost afraid to answer, “No, sir?”

“Ninety-nine bottles of milk on the wall, 99 bottles of milk…..” he began singing.

Just when she thought her eyes couldn’t roll back any further, Jubilee noticed movement on the row in front of her. As she leaned forward she could see Kitty’s shoulders trembling as she tried to keep the giggles inside.

That little sneak! Pretending to be asleep… oh, they’re all gonna pay for this. All of them! Jubilee began to mentally plot the demise of all her friends when Scott’s voice broke through.

“Come on, Jubilee! Jump right in, I can’t hear you! Ninety-six bottles of milk on the wall, 96 bottles of milk…”
Um....information gathering? by natadunn
“What do you mean, she’s not here?” Sweat rolled off Veasy’s face at the venomous tone of the man in front of him”the man who was currently strangling him within an inch of his life.

“Sh-sh-she’s g-g-g-gone, vaca- *gasp*” He tried to sputter through gasps of air.

Deos merely tightened his grip on the pudgy man’s neck and picked the man up a good six inches until their faces were millimeters apart. His breath was warm as he spoke through gritted teeth.

“What did you say, little man?”

Well, certainly not the way I thought I’d go out, Veasy thought as his vision became dimmer. Hm, imagine, strangled to death by a guy with the sweetest breath I’ve ever smelled. Figures it’d be this way.

Just as the pudgy, greaseball of a man was sure he was taking his last breath, he could make out the faint voice of another man.

“Deos, release him. Now!”

The next sound to be heard was Veasy’s body as it hit the floor with a thump.

“Damian, you sure know how to suck the fun out of an evening,” Ios chimed in from his post at the back door of club ‘Heavenly Bodies.’ His face showed all the displeasure he felt.

“There is no need to kill anyone. We have obtained the information we seek. And might I add, we could have simply swept his mind for this information; such brutish tactics were unnecessary,” Damian reprimanded his comrades.

“Dude, where’s the fun in that?” Deos replied.

“Like I said, sucks out all the fun. Frikkin’ Debbie Downer.”

Damian raised a brow at the two, “ ‘Dude’?, ‘Debbie Downer’? That’s it, no more Saturday Night Live for you two. Read more, my friends. Read.”

Deos and Ios both gave exasperated sighs, shaking their heads.

“Now, wipe his mind clean of the last few hours and heal his bruises, Deos.”

Deos looked at Damian as if he’d just grown a third head.

“Either you do it, or I give you the pleasure of explaining to our lord why the lady escaped our grasps.”

All color drained from Deos’ face momentarily before he turned on his heel and picked up Leon Veasy form’s from the floor. He stood the man on steady legs, his hand anchoring the man to the wall. Slowly, Veasy’s pallor returned to normal, starting from his head down. After that, Deos waved his hand before the man’s face.

“Remember nothing. Feel nothing. Sleep.”

Deos suddenly snapped his fingers and Veasy’s body fell limp once more. He threw the motionless Veasy over his shoulder and walked the short five feet to his office door before setting the man on his sofa. To the uninformed, it appeared he had simply lain down for a nap.

“Now,” Damian began, “we know the lady has left for a fortnight with her companion. I’ll break the news to our lord. You two do what you do best”track.”

Ios’ head snapped to attention, “Does that mean we get to fight?”

“Do whatever you feel. I have grown tired of the chase now, bring Ororo to me”unharmed, of course”by any means necessary.”


Meanwhile…

“Jubie, yah gonna speak ta us or are ya just gonna sit there and sulk?”

“……”

“I believe the answer is “What is sit here and sulk?’ Alex” Bobby chimed in, talking around a mouth full of hamburger.

“Jubes, you can’t seriously be mad at us ‘cuz you had to ride with Mr. Summers,” Alison stated.

“Can’t be mad? Can’t be mad?! You all didn’t have to sing ‘99 Bottles of Milk.’ Twice!” She had flown past mad and slid right into livid by this point. She leveled her gaze at Kitty and Peter. “And you two, pretending to be asleep…”

“Hey, it’s survival of the fittest,” Kitty replied with a wink.

Jubilee lost all coherent thought as she lunged across the table. Peter caught her midair and held her in place. From across the restaurant, it looked like the kids were simply kidding around.

“Look at those kids, Jean, always joking around,” Scott spoke through a smile as finished paying for all their meals.

Jean, looking in the direction he indicated, widened her eyes when she realized her fiancé was growing more dense by the day. She shook her head.

Oh, Scott, what am I going to do with you?

“So, did you get the veggie sandwich for ‘Ro? And the extra rare bison burger for Logan, Scott?”

“Sure thing. It’ll be out by the time they’re done filling the gas tanks.”



Outside…


Although it was the middle of Fall, Logan used the back of his hand to wipe the sweat from his brow. His increased temperature was not caused due to the weather, but rather a Weather Goddess. Logan leaned against the rear panel of the black Land Rover, filling its tank with premium fuel, watching Ororo as she filled the tank of the other matching vehicle. However, it was not so much the task she was performing, but how she looked doing it. Ororo leaned her back on the vehicle, her head resting on the truck. Her arms were folded under her bosom as she balanced her weight on one foot. Her other foot was resting atop the rear wheel, she breathed in contentedly as a soft breeze caressed her mocha skin. For one slow, agonizing second, her tongue darted out to moisten her lips. To Logan, the act lasted forever, his eyes mesmerized by the act.

Jesus, does she have any idea how fuckin’ hot that looks?

As if she heard his thoughts, Ororo slowly turned her head in his direction, opening her eyes at an even slower pace. Logan thought nothing could be sexier than seeing those pools of liquid sapphire revealed a little bit at a time. As he fell deeper into the haze of her spell, Logan didn’t even register the fact that she had finished pumping her own gas and had crossed the short distance from the gas pump to stand directly in front of him. His heart began to pound furiously in his ears, drowning out whatever Ororo was saying to him. Slowly, he began to register her hand resting on his chest, beginning its slow descent down. Logan found he could not pull his gaze from hers, which held him firmly in place even as her hand landed on his belt buckle. Ororo gave his buckle a light tug and it fell loose, exposing his zipper. Ororo again licked her lips and lowered his zipper in slow motion. Although Logan heard the telltale “zip”, and was somewhat aware that they were in a very public setting, he was powerless to stop her. He gulped in anticipation of her skilled hands on his now-throbbing manhood. Just when her hand reached into his pants…

“Logan? Logan, are you okay?”

Huh? What tha--?…Logan shook his head, trying to clear the cobwebs. As his vision came back into focus, he noted Ororo was again standing at her previous position, still filling the Rover’s gas tank. He noted the odd look on her face.

“I said are you all right, Logan?”

His mouth opened and closed twice before he was able to croak out an answer, his voice sounding foreign to him.

“Y-yeah. Fine.”

“Are you sure?”

What is she talkin’ about? Logan made sure to swallow this time before replying. He didn’t like the way his voice was sounding.

“Yeah, why?”

Ororo’s lips turned upward in a slow smile as she regarded Logan. Logan was baffled by her behavior.

“’Ro, what is it?”

Slowly, her eyes went from his face downward, resting on his midsection, her smile and eyes growing wider. Logan’s face was a mask of confusion, He, too, followed the path her eyes had taken. His mouth fell open at the sight he saw”a very prominent bulge resting in his pants. Somewhat embarrassed and a little pissed at his body’s betrayal, Logan counted to ten before raising his eyes to Ororo with a sheepish grin.

“Heh. Sorry.”

She was silent as she abandoned her task at the pump and came to a stop only a few inches from him. Her body was so close Loan could feel the slight buzz of electric current as her body thrummed with her mutation’s power. He was sure his breathing had stopped when she leaned closer, her lips coming to a rest beside his right ear. Her breath was warm as she whispered in a smoky voice.

“Don’t be.”
Best of intentions… by natadunn
Six hours later, Xavier Safehouse # 42…

Although the cabin bustled with activity as the teens busied themselves picking rooms to bunk in, the mood was still somewhat subdued. Ororo was presently checking the cabin’s security panels, ensuring herself that nothing had been tampered with or compromised in their absence.

“Ro, if this place gets any more secure, even we won’t be able to get in,” Jean’s soft voice sounded from just over her right shoulder.

Even the interruption could not stop her task, and she continued as if Jean had not spoken.

Jean let out a short sigh, resting her weight on her right foot as she slowly crossed her arms underneath her bosom. “So…this is what you plan to do? Keep yourself busy instead of talking about it?”

Ororo never halted her ministrations, but she answered Jean in an uninterested tone. “There is nothing that merits discussion, Jean.”

Jean closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. She had been at it for nearly two hours, attempting to pull Ororo from her constant tasks of checking the various systems around the cabin. Just when she thought she was making a breakthrough, Ororo would leave the room in search of more work to do. Enough was enough.

“Ro. Stop. Talk to me. Please.”

Initially, she was sure her friend would continue to ignore her. Then she saw the barely detectable lowering of her shoulders and stilling of her hands.

Good, she’s finally letting down her guard.

Ororo breathed steadily, here eyes never leaving the console before her, she couldn’t bring herself to turn around just yet.

“He would have killed them, you know.”

Jean released a breath she hadn’t known she was holding, not expecting the conversation to begin here. She found her own voice was small when she did answer.

“I know.”

“He would have killed them. And, for what? For me?” Ororo shook her head slightly, unable to go any further into that thought. She actually shuddered at the thought of what could have been.


Four hours earlier, Merle’s roadside café/gas station…

“There you two are. Thought you’d gotten lost between the gas pumps and the front door,” Scott joked when Ororo and Logan entered the restaurant. It appeared they were the last remaining customers before closing.

“Yeah, Mr. Summers had to ask the waitress to re-submit your orders like, three times cuz you weren’t here when she brought them out,” Jubilee offered from her position at the end of the table.

“Our apologies, it appears the gas tanks were…[ahem] larger than we anticipated,” Ororo answered, a small smile shining as she gave Logan a sideways glance.

Logan cleared his throat roughly, “Yeah, bigger’n we thought. Scoot down, rugrats.”

Peter and Kitty obeyed, making room on their side of the bench. Logan surprised them all when he gestured for Ororo to take the empty seat, going so far as to place his hand on the small of her back to guide her.

Bobby risked a glance to Remy and Peter, a knowing gleam in his eye. Kitty and the rest of the girls silently “ooh-ed” and “ahh-ed”, then gave their respective beaus each a sharp elbow in the side. Logan gave a small knowing chuckle, having watched the exchange.

“Ya gonna move, Gumbo, or are ya gonna make me move ya?”

“Non, frère, no need for the violence. I am a lover, after all. Ain’t dat right, chere?” Remy answered in that lazy Cajun drawl of his, giving Marie a look so hot it warmed her cheeks.

Logan’s brow nearly touched his hairline as he gave Marie a questioning look. She suddenly found her salad immensely interesting. Narrowing his eyes as he sat next to Remy on the bench, he spoke low enough for the boy to hear,

“Keep yer damn lovin’ in yer pants, Cajun, ‘fore I misplace it for ya. That goes for all you so-called loverboys.” He cracked the knuckles on his right hand for emphasis as he eyed Pete and Bobby, as well.

Remy’s devil-red eyes widened a degree and his face lost the alluring olive complexion it normally held; Bobby and Peter followed suit. They each gave Logan a small nod as Remy gulped loudly.

“Logan. No scaring the children, remember?” Ororo lightly reprimanded him.

Logan gave Remy one last hard look before sharing the same with the other two boys at the table, then he surprised the threesome by giving them a slow wolf-like grin.

“Sorry, ‘Ro” he said, although his eyes never left the teens.

Jean chuckled from behind her napkin while Scott gave Logan a look of disapproval.

“Logan, why do you always have to threaten them?”

Stealing a fry from Scott’s plate, Logan said, “Eh, if I don’ give ’em a hard time, who will, Scooter? You?”

Any further debate was cut off by the arrival of the waitress, her presence announced shortly before her arrival by the smell of cigarette smoke and grease.

“Here’s your food fo”lks” she stammered as she caught sight of Ororo at the table. She was able to regain her composure fairly quickly and turned on her heels after delivering the orders.

The incident went on unnoticed by all the teens, although the adults absorbed every detail. Logan threw Ororo a questioning glance and she responded by shrugging her shoulders. Jean and Scott shared the same exchange before settling back in to enjoy their meal. Logan had gotten two bites into his extra rare burger before his eyes found Ororo’s across the table. She gave a small smile as she continued eating her veggie sandwich. Logan would swear to this day that no woman could ever look as sexy as ‘Ro did while eating a sandwich. Momentarily forgetting where he was, Logan licked his canines in appreciation. Just as he thought about reaching across the table to feel if her lips were as soft as they looked, his hearing picked up a hushed conversation from somewhere inside the restaurant.

“…yeah, …out there….colored…with the group …” the voice he recognized as belonging to their startled waitress.

Once Logan’s ears located the direction the noise came from, he steadied his breathing in an effort to decipher what was being said.

“A colored? In here? You’re sure?” The voice was definitely male.

“You think I don’t know a colored when I spot one, Darryl?!”

“She alone?”

An exasperated sigh, “Do you listen? I just said she was with group of folks out there. You forget to clean that wax outta your ears?”

“Is she at least pretty?”

“Prettiest woman”colored or not”I ever seen.”

“Hmmm. Go round back and get the boys. Tell ’em we got a real sweet treat and to bring their bats.”

“Y’all gonna beat up those nice white folks, too?”

“Naw, woman. Just scare ’em. Then we’ll take the woman ‘round back for a lil’ fun.”

“Oh, you mean like that last one we got? She was a looker, too.”

“Yeah, but she wouldn’t scream for nothing. Damn near had to choke the life outta her to get a sound.”

Logan pulled out of the conversation, his hackles immediately up. Ororo could literally feel the change in him, her eyes searching his form for some indication of what was wrong. Although she only used her extra senses when manipulating the weather or in battle, Ororo could read Logan’s energy patterns. She was immediately disturbed by how erratic they were.

“Let’s go. Now.” Logan all but growled the command.

Jean, Ororo, and Scott immediately responded, gathering their things. Marie, Remy, Peter, Kitty, Alison, and Jubilee followed suit. It was Bobby who remained blissfully unaware of the tension in their friend.

“Leave? Man, this grub was just getting good. I mean, I’ve never eaten grits before, so-“

“Robert. When Mr. Logan says move, you move.”

Ororo’s harsh tone caught him off-guard and when he looked up, he was met with her eyes, as hard and unforgiving as a tsunami bearing down on the shore. He was out of his seat in seconds. Logan brought up the rear of the group as they exited the restaurant.
Jean had no idea what the threat was, but she had entered battle mode. She calculated the distance to the trucks and how to get the teens in without much incident. Scott’s eyes roamed the area from beneath his ruby shades. Ororo kept inventory of the teens as they walked briskly. They were a mere fifteen feet from their vehicles when intercepted by four individuals with various assortments of woodwork”baseball bats, four-by fours, kendo sticks.

“Well, why the rush, folks? You didn’t even get a chance to taste the house special.” Logan recognized the voice as Danny from the previous conversation inside the restaurant.

Logan pushed his way to the front of their group. “Walk away now, boys, while you still can.” His voice was low and extremely threatening.

One of the men chuckled, twirling his kendo sticks as he spoke, “Heh. The runt is giving us orders, Danny. Whatcha say ‘bout that?”

“Now, you gentlemen seem highly reasonable. What’s this all about?” Scott attempted to stall. He really hated fighting unsuspecting humans. It just wasn’t fair.

“You folks just can’t leave without a proper ‘goodbye.’ It shows poor manners. Ain’t that right, Dan?”

“Damn right. My daddy built this place on love, respect, and good old-fashioned southern manners. He may have relocated the family all the way up here from Dixie, but he never lost his manners. A man ain’t nothing without his manners” he turned a curious gaze to the bunch before him. His eyes widened as they found his target. “Damn, Sheryl didn’t tell me you was that pretty.”

The other three men followed his line of vision and their eyes all widened in surprise. One of the men whistled in appreciation.

“Damn.”

Logan visibly tensed and a low growl began to build in his chest. His fists clenched so hard that his knuckles turned white.

Ororo finally began to get some idea of what was unfolding before them. She placed herself beside Logan, Jean, and Scott, placing the teens safely behind their line of defense.

“Gentlemen, we thank you for your hospitality, but we wish to be on our way now.”

“Damn, she even talks pretty, boys. Your friends are welcome to go. In fact, we encourage them the leave. We just want to talk to you, girl. All by yourself.” Danny raked a predatory glance over her whole body.

Ororo straightened her spine and stood at her full height, chin raised. She leveled him with a stern gaze before speaking.

“I can assure you, sir, that I do not wish to entertain any thoughts you may be having. And please, don’t call me ‘girl’.” Ororo breathed slowly in an effort to rein in her ire, her body humming with energy.

Danny’s expression went from lustful to angry in a heartbeat.

“And where my daddy’s from, your kind don’t talk back.” He took a menacing step closer.

Logan could feel the Wolverine shredding away his last threads of control. No, not like this. Not in front of the kids.

“‘Your kind’? Does he mean cuz she’s a mutant?” Bobby whispered to his friends. Unfortunately, his question was also heard by their aggressors.

“Mutant?” The word rolled off the fourth man’s tongue as if it was poison. “You sure you still wanna do this, Danny?”

Danny’s eyes had taken on a different quality; one might even say they were wild. He gave a short laugh before focusing his attention back on Ororo.

“Even better. I’ve stolen nigger-pussy, but I ain’t never had it from a mutant nigger.” The man licked his lips as if anticipating a meal.

Ororo could hear the gasps of the teens behind her at the lewd statement. They were finally all up to speed on the gravity of their current predicament. She could feel herself vibrate as she fought for control. She never thought she’d have to face such indignities at this stage in her life.

Jean took Ororo’s hand in her own, giving it a light squeeze. One of the men noticed and raised a brow in interest.

“Hey, Dan. You think we could get them two to kiss a little before we have our fun. You know I like to watch.”

“No way, I like my meat fresh.” He took two more steps and closed the distance between himself and Ororo. He gave her another slow once-over.

“And what makes you so special, girl? Something ‘bout them blue eyes?”

Ororo did not flinch, even as she could feel the heat rolling off his breath. “Trust me, you do not want to find out.”

Taking a strand of her snow-colored hair between his fingers and sniffing, he rumbled, “Oh, I think I do, girl. All night long.”

Fuck this, Logan thought as he took one step closer to the pair before him.

“Sirs, please. Do not do as you’re thinking. We have young ones with us.” Ororo tried one last time to reason with the men.

Danny turned his head toward his comrades, a sick smile on his face, “What’d I tell you, boys? These northern niggers love to talk back.”

The next few seconds all happened in a blur. One moment, Danny was turning back to Ororo, his hand raised to deliver a blow. The next, the Wolverine sprang into action, taking down Danny in a matter of seconds. The Wolverine was out in full effect, Logan sneered at the man on the ground below him with golden eyes and extended incisors, his hand like a vice on his throat. Ororo could see the fear in the man’s eyes from her vantage point. The rest of his friends made the mistake of approaching, weapons raised. Wolverine sprung into action without hesitation, using his body to bowl all three men over at once.

“Logan. Logan, you have to calm down. Logan!”

Her pleas were useless as Logan continued his assault on the men, punching and ramming heads into various hard surfaces. The only consolation to Jean, Ororo, and Scott was that the claws had not come out”yet. However, they could see that the attacks were becoming more brutal and had to step in before the Wolverine did something Logan would regret. Scott approached to intervene but was met with a glare so malevolent that it stopped him in his tracks. Soon, Wolverine’s hands were bloodied from the vicious beatings he was delivering. Ororo knew they could not approach him in this state and she gave Jean’s hand a meaningful squeeze. Jean’s hand flew to her temple and she gave a nod. Ororo’s eyes clouded over white in record time as she activated her mutation, calling down gale force winds and effectively tossing Logan from his position perched atop the group of men. He hit the ground with considerable force and sprung up immediately with the goal to continue his assault. All of the sudden, he stopped in his tracks as if he had hit a brick wall. Jean showed no strain as she threw the psi-wall between Logan and his victims. His snarls and growls could be heard as loudly as a lion’s roar. Ororo directed the brunt of her storm in Logan’s direction, miraculously affecting no one else in their small area. Scott motioned for the young men in their group to assist in gathering the bruised and battered men left behind by the Wolverine. Bobby, Remy, and Peter wasted no time in assisting their leader. They deposited the beaten group inside the restaurant, much to the shock of their previous waitress.
Scott gave her a hard look, “Did you know this was going to happen?” His voice was cold and hard as tungsten.

“I-I-I…..they do this all the time. W-w-we didn’t know she was a mutant,” she stammered.

Fighting to control his breathing, Scott motioned to the men on the floor, “We didn’t want this. We never wanted this.”

The waitress remained glued in her spot as she watched the four men walk out of the restaurant and into what appeared to be a tornado right outside the doors.

Back to present…


Although Ororo had yet to turn around, Jean knew Ororo was reliving the day’s events in her mind. Jean didn’t need to use her telepathic powers to decipher the atmosphere in Ororo’s mind, nor Logan’s “ even though his whereabouts were still unknown. The pair projected their stress and tension so loudly it nearly overwhelmed her. In fact, Jean had to take several steps back to put distance between Ororo and herself.

“Ro”“

“No, Jean. He would have killed those men if we had not stopped him. And for what? To defend my precious pride?”

Ororo shook her head as she remembered the nearly hour-long ordeal to calm Logan down. Although, she was quite sure he still wasn’t calm. She swore she could feel his emotions as if they were her own.

“Ororo.” Jean was suddenly unsure of how to proceed. For one thing, Ororo did have a point. Had they not stopped Logan, he certainly would have killed Danny and his men. As it stood now, the men were only a little worse for wear and terrified. She expelled a breath she hadn’t even known she was holding. “Yes, he would have killed them, but not just for you. He would have killed them for every ugly, disgusting thought they had or act they may have done. Although the outcome was not what we would have hoped, those men meant you harm, ‘Ro. And what was to keep them from harming Marie, or Alison, or Jubilee? You know more than any of us the cost of war.”

“Jean, we were not battling any of Magneto’s men out there. That was not war, those were humans”“

“Human, mutant, or robot”we face prejudice of all types, and we exist to protect those who hate us. But there are times where we have no choice but to defend ourselves. Now, stop blaming yourself for Logan’s actions. I’m sure he feels a hundred times worse because he feels like he let you down.”

That worked in getting Ororo to turn around abruptly. “What did you say?” Her snow-capped brow nearly touched her hairline.

Jean looked her square in the eye, then, “Don’t act all dense on me, ‘Ro. You know Logan thinks he blew his chance to be with you because of his temper.”

“Jean, Logan knows I am fully aware of the beast he keeps at bay. We have fought together in battle countless times.”

“Fought as teammates, comrades. Never as a man defending his woman and going overboard. Ororo, Logan battles hourly to rein in the Wolverine. Just like you have to do in order to keep your emotions in control. And he also spends those hours with you and draws comfort from your steady calm. So, not only did he lose it today, but he lost it in front of you.”

Ororo sat silently as she considered this new information and thought back to the remainder of their drive to the cabin. Logan had grown quiet and withdrawn and headed for the woods as soon as they unloaded their cars. That was three hours ago. It was as if he couldn’t get away from her fast enough. She looked her friend in the eye and gave a small nod before heading towards her room on the top level of the cabin.

“Where you headed?”

“I figure I should reclaim my inner peace before I can tell Logan how to find his.”

Jean gave a knowing nod as she watched Ororo ascend the stairs.

Go. Get your man, ‘Ro, she thought to her herself.
Understanding... by natadunn
One hour later…

Logan sat perched atop one of the large shade trees on the property of Xavier’s safe house. His gaze was focused on the scene unfolding fifty yards away from him. A gentle breeze stirred as he watched Ororo move fluidly in the open clearing. Although he couldn’t decipher her exact words or their meaning, Logan knew she was chanting in her native Afrikaans. He couldn’t think of a more beautiful sound. Ororo’s voice had never been deep, per se, but it was a commanding voice, one that you took notice of. Currently, she spoke her native tongue fluidly and moved her body in rhythm with the melodic chants. Just as Logan began to grow accustomed to the scene before him, Ororo changed her rhythm, her pace quickening with her chanting. Just as it seemed she hit the crescendo of her routine, thunder rolled in the distance and the winds slightly picked up. A light rain began to fall, the impromptu storm growing in intensity until the force of it nearly knocked Logan from his perch. Ororo’s frantic movements mirrored the chaotic weather around theme until suddenly stilled her movements and Ororo fell to her knees and gave a warrior cry so feral it made Logan’s hair stand on end, a tremendous thunderclap accompanying it. Then, just as quickly as the storm began to rage, it stopped. No rain. No howling winds. Nothing. After a while, the stillness began to make Logan uneasy until he heard more soft chanting. The chanting grew softer as Ororo lowered herself to the ground in a bowing motion. As she recited the last words of the ritual, she slowed her breathing considerably, closing her eyes to complete the act.

Rising to a kneeling position with both eyes closed, Ororo continued to focus on her breathing. She grew so still that Logan thought she’d fallen into a trance. He was startled by her velvety voice when she finally spoke.

“Do you plan to speak to me finally or are you going to continue avoiding me?”

Logan made no effort to respond, choosing to stay hidden in the shadows of the trees.

Ororo exhaled softly, then rose gracefully from her perch, “Logan, we’ve already done this ‘dialogue in the dark’, remember? I didn’t care for it then and I don’t care for it now.”

Logan was in the process of choosing his words when Ororo made a sound of impatience and turned to stare directly in his eyes. How tha hell did she find me in these damn shadows?!

“Logan, I have neither the desire nor the time to coax a conversation out of you tonight. I simply wanted to thank you for defending me today and let you know I think no differently of you because of what happened. With that said, I bid you good night, but keep in mind, Logan, I have no intention of repeating these scenarios of hide and seek if you intend to have a relationship with me.” With that, she turned on her heel and headed for the cabin.

Thoroughly reprimanded and slightly aroused by her commanding stature, Logan nimbly leapt from his perch to the ground. Ororo made no show of responding to this.

“’Ro”wait. Please.”

That worked in stilling her movements.

“Please, don’t go. I couldn’t stand it if ya walked away.” Logan sat on a nearby stump. “Please…stay.” He motioned to the nearby log.

Ororo conceded his request and took residence on the log, legs crossed and silently waiting for him to continue.

Running an exasperated had over his face and through his hair, Logan expelled a deep breath.

“I…I didn’t mean for that ta happen. I just wanted to get ev’rybody out before…” He struggled for his next words. “I tried ta fight it, ‘Ro.”

He looked to her for a sign that she believed him. Her silent, unwavering stillness did nothing to lighten his spirit. She never failed to confound him. Dammit.
“Anyway, I jus wanted ya ta know, okay? Tell the kids I didn’t mean ta scare ’em.” He rose from his perch with the intention to leave.

“That’s it?”

Logan stopped in his tracks, incredulous, “What?”

“So, you sulk for hours about something that was not your fault, stalk me during what was intended to be a private ritual, apologize, then leave? Honestly, Logan, I expected more from you.”

He looked at her as if she’d just told him she was a man, “Tha fuck are ya sayin’, ‘Ro? Whadda I have to do to please you, woman?!” He could feel his ire growing with each second. Clearly, this encounter was not working out as he intended. Add to that the fact that Ororo seemed calm as ever, and he was pissed.

“Logan, first of all, watch your language. Second, you have never had to ‘do anything’ to please me except be yourself without apology. How could I blame you for being yourself. You are a noble man, Logan. Foolish at times, but still noble, nevertheless. We all”Jean, Scott, and the children”all understand how you operate. You are fiercely loyal to those you care about and will do whatever is necessary to protect them. What happened today, while tragic, was no exception and we feel no differently about you. It seems you’re the only one with the issue here, Logan.”

Logan locked his eyes on hers for a long moment. Ororo could see the vulnerability hiding behind them, “That’s not who I want to be fer ya, ‘Ro, I” “

She moved so quickly, it startled him, placing a finger to his lips to quiet him.

“Logan. How many times do I have to tell you that you are who I want, not some perfect gentleman that you think I want you to be?”

Logan’s mouth twitched in an effort to respond, only to be silenced by Ororo’s finger and raised eyebrow. He gave a small smile and gently took her hand in his, removing it from his lips.

“I got it. I think I finally got it, ‘Ro.” He continued holding her hand, placing it over his heart as his gaze bored into her eyes.

Ororo gave an exaggerated sigh, smiling as she spoke, “Finally! He gets it.”

Logan’s eyes softened considerably, “Oh, the lady has jokes.”

Just a swiftly as the mood lifted from somber to light, it changed to intense. The air around the duo became highly charged as Logan’s steel gray gaze turned amber, but for an entirely different reason. Ororo sucked in a sharp breath as her own eyes darkened to a cobalt blue. A haze of lust settled over them then, the air crackling with electricity. Ororo was surprised at how quickly the atmosphere changed between them, and how frequently it began occurring. Still, she did nothing to stop it. Logan took the hand he was still holding and raised it to his lips, grazing each knuckle with excruciating gentleness. Ororo could feel her eyelids grow heavier with desire. This wild man had the uncanny ability to ignite her ire and her fire at the same time like no other. He spoke in a voice so soft, she was positive it could not have come from him.

“I don’t know what I did right ta deserve ya, but I thank my God, yer Goddess, and whatever other deity I need fer ya sticking around, ‘Ro.” Then, time seemed to slow as he moved her hand back over his heart and left it there, opting to entwine his own in her silken strands of snow. Ororo did nothing to fight the gentle pull of his hand against her nape, choosing to follow the path to his inviting lips. Logan could feel a tightening in his chest as their breaths intermingled first, closing his eyes as their lips came within millimeters of one another. Just as he was sure he could already taste the sweetness that was Ororo…

*Erm…**ahem** guys… um, Scott is calling a team meeting and needs you both here.*

*Great timing, Jeannie*, Logan groused as he stilled his actions.

Ororo surprised him by chuckling lightly, resting her forehead against his own.

“It appears the fates do not wish this to happen, Logan,” she said, her voice full of humor.

Logan pinned her with a stare so intense, it shook her to her very core. His voice was thick with arousal and he shook from the restraint of not throwing her to the ground and kissing her breathless. “Damn the fates, Ororo Munroe. This
will
happen, I promise you.” He surprised her by taking her hand and leading her toward the cabin, “Now, let’s get this meeting over with so I can kill Scooter for interruptin’ us.”
Preparations.... by natadunn
Xavier Safehouse…

By the time Ororo and Logan reached the safehouse, Scott was practically climbing the walls.

“Guys, when I call an emergency team meeting, I’d appreciate it if you could treat it like an emergency,” he told them in a clipped tone.

“Scott! They were here in les than five minutes, you have got to calm down.” Jean attempted to calm her fiancé down. In her opinion, he was more agitated than he should have been.

Logan shrugged his shoulders, “Damn, Scooter, I’d like to see ya cover three miles of woods in less than five minutes.” Looking to Ororo standing on his right he spoke softly, “ and thanks again fer the ride, ‘Ro.”

Ororo surprised him by winking in response, “Anytime, Logan.”

*That’s my ‘Ro, taming the beast.*

Ororo gave an almost imperceptible nod and coy smile to Jean. Logan indicated that Ororo take the last remaining chair in the room. She nodded her thanks in return and sat gracefully in the plush, oversized chair. Logan took inventory of the room as he strode across to the fireplace.

Must be pretty damn important for Scoot to call the kids in, too, he mused.

**It is.** Although his face never revealed it, Logan had to admit Jean nearly scared the crap out of him.

He gave her a short look of annoyance, **Jeanie. Out.** He tapped his temple to make sure she understood, Jean gave a sheepish look in return.

Ororo hid a small smile as she watched the exchange. Scott cleared his throat loudly.

“Well, now that everyone is here…Jean and I received word from the Professor. It appears we were right in our assumption that Ororo would be followed.”

Ororo sat straighter in her seat, “Has something happened?”

“It appears our friends from the gentleman’s club have tracked us as far as the diner we were at earlier. The Professor alerted Jean and I when he felt powerful energy surges about two hours ago. I assured him it wasn’t us, so he sent out a small scout team and they found the same guys we did”“

“Only difference is, they weren’t breathing so much this time,” Jubilee cut in.

Logan raised an eyebrow, his voice gruff. “What?”

“Looks like somebody came after us and finished what you started, Logan,” Bobby supplied, swallowing thickly when Logan shot him a glare, “…sir.”

“What makes you think it was the gentlemen we are dealing with, Scott?” Ororo queried.

“Yeah, somebody with half a brain coulda’ come an’ decided the planet was better without those bozos from the diner livin’ on it.”

Ororo gave Logan a stern look. “Logan.”

His response was to shrug his shoulders before stuffing his hands in his jeans pockets and leaning against the mantle.

“The Professor recognized the energy patterns as the same as from the nightclub. Apparently these guys are more than just telepaths. The Professor said their energy patterns are unlike anything he’s ever seen. Stronger.”

“Well, what tha hell are they?” Logan groused, “And why’d ya drag the kids into this?” he indicated with a sharp nod in the direction of the teens.

“Because, Logan, they are here with us and need to know what we’re up against,” Jean answered for her fiancé.

“Which is what, exactly?” Ororo asked.

“We’re still not quite sure”at least, not right now.”

“So ya called this meeting ta let us know that you got jack-shit? Heh, that’s some leadership skills there, Scoot.”


Scott straightened to his full height, apparently ready to go toe-to-toe with Logan. Logan gave a wolfish grin in reply. He vaguely heard Ororo’s stern “Logan!” in the background.

Bring it on, Boy Scout; his posture said it all.

Jean discreetly placed herself between the two, speaking in a calm tone, “Scott called this meeting to update the team and make us aware these guys are on the hunt. We felt everyone should be aware and be on alert. These guys apparently are very powerful and at least one of them is a telepath. The teens need to know so they can work on their psi-shields, Logan.”

Logan hated to admit Jean was correct; instead, he winked and blew Scott a kiss and resumed his position near the fireplace. Scott’s jaw clenched in restrained anger, his eyes narrowing beneath his ruby shades.

“Jean will perform some test runs on your psi-shields. These will be unannounced, so stay on guard,” Scott informed them all through clenched teeth, his gaze never leaving Logan.

Each teen seemed to sit a little straighter, nodding their understanding.

Ororo gave a small sigh. “I am regretful that you all were brought into this. If somehow we were able to complete this mission sooner”“

“Don’t say that, Miz Munroe,” Marie interjected. “We all made tha decision ta come along.”

“And we weren’t invited”we kinda crashed your party,” Kitty added.

Logan gave a grunt at that.

“What they’re trying to say, to all of you, is that we put ourselves here in hopes to help, and that’s what we intend to do,” Peter, who was typically the quietest of the group, spoke in his heavy Russian accent.

“What we all tryin’ ta’ say, hommes, is we X-Men an’ we stand as one, or not at all.” His Cajun drawl lazy as ever, Remy accentuated his point by standing and extending his hand.

Marie, Kitty, Jubilee, and the rest if the younger X-Men followed suit and placed their hands in the center with Remy’s. Bobby gave the adults an expectant glance. Jean and Scott immediately caught on and joined their hands, as well. Ororo rose as gracefully as ever and added her mocha hand to the group. She raised an eyebrow at Logan, he responded by leaving his perch and joining the group.

He clasped his hands over hers in the huddle, speaking in his usual gruff timbre, “We stand as one, or not at all.”

Later that night…

The Xavier safehouse quieted down considerably by 1AM. Ororo had retired to her loft accommodations on the third floor and Logan had taken to securing the grounds for the fourth time in the past hour.

“I’d sleep better knowing I did a thorough check,” he told them all before jumping from the second story window.

“Why does he do that when he can just use the door?” Jubilee chirped after he’d left.

Bobby grinned as he answered, “‘Cause then he wouldn’t be The Wolverine.”


Jean and Scott both checked the security panels before retiring to their room. The teens had retired considerably before them, although sleep was the furthest thing from their minds.

“So, how’re we gonna play this?” Kitty asked, her face bathed in the artificial glow of her laptop’s screen.

“What do you mean, Katherine? Mr. Summers and Miss Grey have given us our orders,” Peter replied in his usual calm tone.

Marie tsked in impatience, joining Kitty on her queen-sized bed. She ambled to get a better look at the screen. “What she means, Pete, is that we gotta come up with a plan tah help out. An’ just keepin’ our psi-shields up ain’t it. We need tah be ready if it comes down to a fight.”

Realization dawned on Remy and he smiled his usual lazy smile, “I guess dis mean we be needin’ ta practice, non?”

Bobby clamped a hand over Remy’s shoulder, “Oui, my man…oui.

Remy responded with an even bigger grin, illuminating the room as he charged the ever-present deck of cards he kept in his hand.

“Finally! Some action on this hayride,” Allison added her thoughts, then amended them as she saw Bobby’s face. “No offense, babe.”

“So? What’s all this mean?” asked Jubilee.

Kitty cleared her throat. “What this means is we begin training as soon as the sun rises. We practice our fighting skills while keeping our psi-shields in place. If we’re gonna be on this team, we might as well be useful.”

“And how are we gonna do that out here in the great outdoors?” Jubilee rebutted.

Allison chimed in before Kitty could respond, “Jubes, this is an Xavier compound, remember? We use the mock Danger Room on the lower level and, knowing Kitty the way I do, we will be running the simulation she’s been creating on her laptop for the last four hours.” She cast a knowing glance in the direction of their resident computer whiz.

Kitty’s face beamed with pride as she turned her laptop so they could all view the schematics of her latest creation, “And you do know me so well.”

Meanwhile…

Logan returned from his rounds at approximately 3:15AM. He had already checked on the kids and found them all dozing peacefully in their adjoined rooms. He also detected from the soft breathing accompanied by intermittent snores that Jean and Scott were asleep for the night, as well.

Only one person left ta check, he thought as he soundlessly climbed the stairs to the third floor. He focused his superior hearing as he topped the stairs and heard… nothing. Absolutely nothing. Complete silence, not even breathing could be heard.
Too quiet, Logan could feel his own heart rate increasing as he slowed his steps, transitioning into a crouch. He scented the air around Ororo’s bedroom door, picking up only faint traces of her scent, hours old. That couldn’t be, he’d personally seen her up to her room before he set off to his rounds. Logan soundlessly turned the knob and entered the pitch black room, his heightened senses told him he was all alone. He stood, flipping the light switch on as he did. Ororo’s bed wasn’t even turned down; her things on her dresser remained untouched. His brow furrowed as he tried to figure out what happened when he heard the faint rustling of leaves outside the bedroom window. Scenting the air again, Logan narrowed his eyes, returning to his crouch position. Seconds later, he used his powerful legs to propel him upward, through the open skylight above him. Although he landed without a sound, he startled his unsuspecting prey, grabbing their arm and pulling back the black hood they wore to conceal their identity.

His eyes were the color of steel and twice as hard. “An jus’ what tha hell do ya think yer doin’?!”
Necessary Adjustments... by natadunn
“An jus’ what tha hell do ya think yer doin’?!”

“Trying to return to my room to get some sleep if you will release me, Logan.” Ororo’s tone was more annoyed than shocked at being caught. She tried to wrench her arm free from his grasp.

Logan only tightened his grasp, “Where tha hell have ya been, ‘Ro?” His voice was low and dangerous.

“Out. And now I’m back. Do you plan on letting go of my arm, or am I to sleep on the rooftop?” She met his narrowed gaze with unamused azure eyes.

No matter how angry Logan may have been, he had to give Ororo credit. She was the only person he’d ever met who could match his gaze without flinching. Where most people found his gaze to be too intense, she never backed down. Logan reasoned he must have lost focus when he heard Ororo sigh heavily. Shaking his head, he again focused on her.

“Ro…” his voice bordering on threatening.

“Release my arm and I will be more than happy to oblige, Logan. I don’t run, Logan, you know that.” Ororo’s voice was calm.

Logan gave her a disbelieving look, which she matched with a raised eyebrow. Obviously, they had reached a stalemate. He sighed in resignation and released his grip on her arm, raising both hands in a show of good faith. True to her word, she didn’t run, but instead sat down on the rooftop. She looked back up with him with another raised brow.

Realization dawned on him. “Oh.” He joined her on the rooftop.

“I returned to the mansion to speak with the Professor”“

“What tha hell?! Why whould’ya do that without tellin’ someb”“

“Logan! Shh! People are trying to sleep and your bellowing would not be conducive to that. Now, if you will let me continue,” she reprimanded him.

Lowering his voice a degree, Logan opened his mouth to speak, only to find his was too angry to form words at the moment. Instead, he clenched and unclenched his jaw, choosing to clasp his hands around his knees to keep from strangling the infuriating Goddess beside him.

“Now, as I said, I returned to the Mansion to speak with Charles. I felt as though there was something Jean and Scott must have left out during our meeting. I can’t explain why, but it felt like something was off or missing. It turns out I was correct, but they only omitted the information because Charles had not shared it with them to start with.”

“So, Chuck’s holding out on us?”

“I suppose you could put it that way, but I feel he did so because he did not want to cause any unnecessary stress to us.”

“Unnecessary stress? ’Ro, we’re being tracked down by God knows who and they have God knows what type of powers”“

“Actually, you’re right, Logan.”

His brow furrowed at that. “What?”

“These power surges that Charles has been sensing, they’re God-like surges of energy.”

“Come again, ‘Ro.”

“Charles told me he’d never seen power surges such as these, so we did more exploration of the diner location, and the energy signature traces left behind were not natural, Logan.”

“Wait. Before we get to the God-like stuff”you read energy signatures?”

Ororo sighed, “Yes, Logan. Usually I only use it during battle to pick out hiding foes or decipher things like weaknesses, but, yes. Now, keep up…”

Ororo continued to fill Logan in on her latest findings while at the Mansion. However, he found he could barely focus on her words as was still processing his latest discovery into the enigma that is Ororo Munroe.

Huh, reads energy signatures, rides on winds, wields lightning like it was a rodeo lasso. Is there anything she doesn’t do? he asked himself as he stared at her profile. And damn gorgeous, ta boot.

As he thought more on the subject, his eyes unconsciously took inventory of the beauty beside him. She wore an all black lycra suit with a hood, a color he found to be incredibly sexy on her,; but he found the fit of the suit damn near lethal. Logan could see every contour of Ororo’s frame in that outfit. He continued his perusal of the Goddess and found she had chosen to pull all of her glorious white mane into a high ponytail. Logan could feel his groin tighten at the sight as it simultaneously made Ororo seem innocent and dangerous. The updo only served to accentuate her regal features”the high cheekbones, her almond-shaped eyes and finely manicured brows. Even from his perch beside her, Logan could see her cerulean eyes glitter in the moonlight. Finally, his gaze rested on her perfectly plump lips, kissed with a hint of gloss. Ororo had never been one for more than the barest touches of makeup. Logan had always liked and respected that about her, she was natural in every sense of the word. Again, he found his thoughts drifting to how sweet her kiss would be and how soon he intended to find out for himself.

Bet those lips are soft as pillows and taste like cotton candy.

“…and so I told Charles I would bathe myself in honey and fly around naked.”

“Huh? What tha hell?”

“See what happens when you lose focus, Logan?” Ororo held a devilish glint in her eye.

Logan didn’t miss a beat as he leaned in closer to her and dropping his voice an octave,
“And exactly what makes you lose focus, ‘Ro?”

Although she would not admit it, Logan’s nearness was wreaking havoc on her senses. It took every ounce of control she possessed not to lean just a tad closer to Logan and capture his lips in a kiss. Instead, she tried to play coy, narrowing her eyes and biting her full bottom lip. She fought to control the burgeoning giggle at hearing Logan’s groan in response to her actions. Leaning her shoulder close enough to brush against the wide expanse of his chest, she found her voice was more breathy than she’d expected.

“Why don’t we find out together?”

Logan had flirted with countless women before and had bedded his fair share, but none turned him on more than the breathtaking beauty before him. He had known Ororo was a sensual creature just by observing her movements. The woman oozed sensuality when she breathed”her breaths steady and measured. She radiated sex appeal when she spoke, walked, rode her winds--hell, she was sexy when she sat still and did nothing. However, in Logan’s mind, nothing made her sexier than when she was in battle. Shocked that he hadn’t made advances before, Logan thought of the countless times he had watched her eyes frost that telltale white as she commanded the elements to do her bidding. She looked like a pagan deity in her prime, and nothing turned him on more. Just thinking of how she looked with her winds howling around her and whipping her hair in a wild display, Logan licked his canines and his eyes began their slow transition from steel gray to amber. Ororo saw the change coming and welcomed it with arms wide open. Somehow, her hands had found purchase on the lapels of his shirt and she found she was unconsciously pulling him closer. Logan allowed the animal to take over for a moment as he dipped his head to nuzzle the side of her face, his breath hot and heavy in her ear. Ororo closed her eyes and shivered with anticipation. Closing his eyes, Logan’s right hand found her thigh as the left settled around her waist, his grip tightening as he pulled her closer still.

Ororo’s voice was as throaty and breathy as Logan thought he’d ever heard, “Oh, Logan.”

Logan could do nothing to suppress the growl that escaped him. Nor could he stop the inevitable releasing of his claws, on both hands, no less. He had honestly never been more turned on by a woman”ever.

Ororo chuckled, “Hm, so they do pop out for other reasons.”

Growling again, Logan pulled Ororo until she straddled his lap. She gasped at the bulge she found there. Retracting his claws, he opened his eyes slightly and could not find his breath. Before him, Ororo sat, her eyes closed, breathing labored and a sexy grin on her face. Smiling to himself, Logan moved a hand to the back of her neck and pulled her closer. Their lips had only touched when a loud rumbling sounded, causing the ground beneath the cabin to tremble.

It was Logan’s turn to chuckle, “Easy, darlin’.”

He could have kicked himself when she abruptly pulled away, her eyes flying open,
“Not natural.”

“What?”

Although he had seen it happen countless times, Logan was unprepared for the whiting over of Ororo’s eyes from such close proximity. It was as if lightning coursed through her body and danced in her eyes. The ever-present buzzing in her body intensified.

When she spoke again, gone was the vixen. The X-Man Storm was in full control, “Not. Natural. Logan, get down. Now.”

He had fought beside her enough times to know not to question a command. He dropped flat to his back and Ororo took flight in that same instant. She hovered a good fifty feet above the cabin, throwing her hands up, lightning dancing from her fingertips. Logan found he could not move as gale force wind came unannounced and pinned him. His eyes were assaulted by the deafening sound that accompanied the winds. He struggled to free himself as Ororo continued her battle against an unknown opponent. She was battered by the winds and pushed back nearly one hundred feet before regaining her footing and using her winds to push back. Her clothes ripping in various sections, and the strain on her face evident, Ororo called down rains and more howling winds to her aid. After what seemed an eternity but in reality was only a few seconds, the battle ended. Logan recovered quickly and turned his gaze upward to find Ororo still in battle mode, her white eyes narrowed and searching for the intruder. Her chest heaved from the restrained fury she contained within, hands continuously clenching and unclenching. Logan thought she might have forgotten his presence, until she spoke.

“Are you harmed?” Her voice was tight and commanding.

“I’m fine, darlin’.”

Still, she remained tensed for a battle, hovering above him.

“’Ro.”

“….”

“’Ro.”

More seconds ticked by with no response.

“’Ro, whoever or whatever it was, they’re gone.”

Still she did not relax her stance, her hair working itself free of the confining ponytail and waving like a proud banner.

“ ‘Ro, babe, come back to me. I know your trust my senses and whoever was here is gone now. Come on, babe.” Logan began to worry as he had never seen her so agitated.

Countless minutes ticked by as he waited for her to acknowledge him. Just when he thought he’d have to physically find a way to bring her down, Ororo descended quickly to the rooftop, dropping soundlessly. Her eyes slowly faded back to their usual blue. Her breathing had calmed considerably.

“Logan, I have never felt anything as powerful as that. It was as if the elements were torn between the two of us. As if they did not know whom to obey.” Ororo was shaken, and that was enough to concern Logan.

“Ya think it was the guys following us?”

“It had to be. Logan, if they have someone who can command the elements such as that, we may have bitten off more than we can chew with this mission.”

“’Ro, we’ve met plenty of bad guys in the past, and always beat ‘em.”

“No, Logan. This is different. I could feel the anger used to command the elements. It was unlike anything I’ve ever felt. Where I ask the Goddess to guide me and request the elements to comply, this was pure anger ordering the elements to bend to their will.”

Logan still didn’t understand why Ororo was so worried over this. He figured if you beat one bad guy, you could beat them all.

“I don’t get why this has you so worked up, ‘Ro.”

She placed a hand on his shoulder and looked him square in the eye, “Because, Logan, I fear if we were to battle again, it would literally destroy the Earth.”
Ready to rumble.... by natadunn
Meanwhile…

“Sire! What has happened? Are you all right?”

“I am fine, Damian. Stop preening over me,” Theos ordered, agitated, as he picked himself up from the floor.

“My apologies, it’s just I did find you unconscious here.”

Theos’ smile was extremely disturbing, “No need to worry, my boy. I was merely engaging in a little… ’foreplay‘ with my Queen-to-be. She is quite the firecracker.”

“You…w-what?”

“My Ororo is a formidable foe, which inevitably means she will be a superior lover. She commands the elements with mere thoughts and I grew tired of your stalling, so I located her myself.”

“Stalling? Sire, I assure you”“

“Assure me what? That you don’t harbor desires or plans for my Queen? That you weren’t planning to use her and her powers against me, Damian?”

His smile grew more sinful as he watched the tell-tale widening of Damian’s eyes.

“When will you learn, boy, that you cannot hide anything from me? I own you”mind, body, and soul. You would do well to remember that.”

Damian racked his brain for a plausible lie to save his own skin.

“Relax, I will not end your existence”yet. Besides, isn’t that what you desire? To be free of me? No, my friend, we have several more eons ahead of us. Several more.” His maniacal laughter sounded as the skies clapped with thunder and lightning streaked.

Damian’s shoulders slumped as he retreated from the master suite. Every now and then he would hear breaks in the thunderous laughter, followed by the taunting words of his Lord and Master.

“Oh, yes, boy, we have things yet to accomplish. And I will show you how to break the will of a woman and bring her to you willingly.”

Same time, Xavier Cabin…

“Whoa.” Bobby was flabbergasted. His eyes bulged as he stared straight ahead. The boy was as pale as a ghost.

“Now do you see why I didn’t want the kids here for this?” Logan asked, clearly agitated.

“Logan, Jean’s right. They need to be here,” Scott spoke quickly.

Ororo and Logan had called a team meeting immediately following the incident, including the recent discoveries made with Professor Xavier. Logan noted the time on the digital clock read 4:45AM in bright red neon.

“So, we’ve graduated from fighting mutant-hating humans and other mutants to fighting Gods? Huh, wonder how our abilities will measure up to that,” Kitty mused from her position on the sofa.

“That means we step up our training and from this moment on, we are on red-alert. They obviously have pin-pointed our location and can strike at any moment,” Scott replied, not missing a beat.

“And we maintain constant contact with each other, and absolutely no leaving the cabin,” Jean added with emphasis.

The groans could be heard immediately following her declaration.

“Hey, this ain’t a democracy, so quit yer bitchin,’” Logan barked, wincing as soon as the expletive left his mouth. He turned an expectant eye to Ororo, waiting for the reprimand for his poor choice of language. However, it did not come, and Logan found Ororo to be very deep in thought, her teeth worrying her bottom lip. He glanced around the room quickly and found the teens did not notice anything amiss; however, Jean and Scott raised concerned eyebrows. He motioned to them both with a nod of his head.

Scott caught his meaning and abruptly ended their meeting. “Rest now, we meet in the Danger Room at 0700 hours.”

As the room cleared, Logan motioned for Jean and Scott to head back to bed. Once he and Ororo were alone in the room, he knelt by her side immediately, taking her hands in his own.

“Hey, ya alright?”

Her continued silence did nothing to ease his anxiety. He took her chin in his hand, forcing her to look at him.

“’Ro? Talk ta me. Please.”

Shaking her head slightly, it was as if she had just realized where she was. Her eyes focused on Logan’s, and she touched the hand that held her chin.

“Logan? I’m sorry, it appears I was”“

“A million miles away?” Logan finished for her.

She smiled softly in return, “Forgive me for ignoring you.”

“Nothin’ ta forgive, darlin’. We got a lot ta deal with right now. Tell me one thing, though.”

“Yes?”

“Ya’ ever turn this thing off?” He gently tapped her forehead with his index finger, smiling softly.

He was only this way with her and no one else. No one saw this side of Logan or The Wolverine except her, and that thought warmed her to no end.

She chuckled lightly, taking both of his hands in her own, “I’d be lying if I said yes. The truth is I must always be aware and thinking of strategies”especially in battle, constantly monitoring the elements and the actions of my opponent. Chalk it up to me being anal?”

“Nah, I chalk it up ta ya’ bein’ a perfectionist. Not that I’m complainin’, I just don’t wanna see ya burn yerself out, ‘Ro. I care about’cha, ya know.”

Pulling his hand to her cheek and resting her head on it, Ororo looked deeply into Logan’s eyes. “I know.”

Logan knew the timing sucked and the setting could have been better, but he honestly couldn’t remember wanting to do something so badly at that moment than kiss Ororo. He had never seen her vulnerable before and he wanted nothing more than to give her some of his strength, by any means necessary. Her eyes widened slightly as she watched Logan rise from his kneeling position and gently nip her bottom lip with his teeth. The grip she had on his hand tightened as he increased the pressure on her lip, taking her bottom lip into his mouth fully and suckling gently. Logan was unprepared for this first kiss with Ororo, Where he had once thought her kiss would be sweet and full of innocence, she instead tasted of hot spices and promises of heaven. Her kiss was completely unexpected, and he found his heart rate sped up considerably in response. Logan’s sensitive hearing could hear the low moan escape Ororo’s throat and he did nothing to stop the growl forming in his chest. To his credit, the end result was a vibrating purr. Ororo surprised them both by fisting her hand in his shirt and pulling him closer. She took over the kiss, slanting her mouth under Logan’s and snaking out her tongue to taste his lips. Logan allowed her access and was treated to the sweetest treat. Ororo groaned as she explored his mouth; it was as if her tongue was everywhere at the same time, spending considerable time dueling with his tongue and grazing his canines. Logan found he had to brace himself on either side of her so as not to stop their dance. He settled some of his weight in her lap and tore his lips from hers. When he looked at her again, he saw that her eyes were wild and full of lust, no doubt the same as his. His lips found hers again and he began to trail down her neck when he heard a gasp and chuckle from Ororo. He immediately stilled his actions, raising an eyebrow in question.

“Ya laugh at a time like this?”

She smiled that sweet smile at him and placed a chaste kiss on his lips, whispering “It seems we’ve been found out.”

Logan began to turn around and see who the hell would dare interrupt this moment, but he found himself stilled by Ororo’s hands. She motioned to the bulge resting in his pants with an amused lift of her brow. Sheepishly, Logan cleared his throat, scenting the air.

He spoke loud enough for their uninvited guest to hear, “Well, whoever tha hell it is better be gone in two seconds or they will personally be my punching bag during the Danger Room workout. Got that, Dazzler?”

From the gentle shaking of Ororo’s shoulders, he guessed Dazzler must have double-timed it out of there. She shook her head at him. “Logan, why must you insist on scaring them so?”

“Ferget that, now, where were we?” He dipped his head again to kiss her and was stopped by a delicate hand to his chest.

“We were going to bed.”

“Even better.” His wolfish smile was cut short seconds later.

“Separately. We need to rest before the Danger Room session.”

Ororo almost laughed at the pathetic look Logan wore, “‘Ro, I couldn’t sleep now if ya shot me full of tranquilizers.” He moved her hand directly over his heart, “Ya feel that? How can I sleep with that or this?” He gestured to the straining bulge before him.

Ororo closed her eyes slowly, biting her bottom lip and inhaling slowly, “Logan, I never said I wanted to go to bed alone. However, we must focus on the issue at hand.”

“That’s exactly what I’m trying ta get ya ta do.” He then moved her hand from his heart to his crotch, rocking slightly into her hand.

Ororo gave him a slight squeeze that almost caused him to erupt then and there. She leaned forward, taking his earlobe between her teeth and applying pressure. Logan’s claws distended themselves for the second time that night, right into the unsuspecting cushion of the chair.

“Good thing we have a Danger Room session in a few hours. You can burn off all of this…extra energy.” She gave him a gentle push and rose from the chair.

Logan caught her arm as she walked past and she gasped at the intensity of his gaze, “Fine. But this will happen, Ororo. And I know you want it as bad as I do.”

It was Logan’s turn to gasp as Ororo pinned him with an equally intense gaze, her blue eyes vibrant. “I know.”
Found Out?.... by natadunn
Danger Room, 0656 hours…

“Making out?”

“Dude, totally making out. Like, tongues out, hands grabbing”everything.”

“Yah sure yah weren’t sleepwalkin’, sugah?”

Allison regarded her friends with a peeved look, “Is a fat man heavy? Is Rogue a southern belle? Does Jubes have the hots for Angel?”

Kitty rubbed her chin in thought, “Well, the answer to all those questions are yes”“

“Hey! Ixnay on the Arrenway!” Jubilee sounded from the group.

“Anyway, are you sure about Miss Munroe and Mr. Logan?”

“Yeah, I mean, Logan’s probably about as romantic as a porcupine in bed,” Bobby added with a chuckle.

“Guys, I went back into the meeting room to grab my pillow and I saw them”with my own baby blues. Logan was bent over Miss Munroe and had his tongue about halfway down her throat and she was doing her best to return the favor. And, might I add, Logan’s ass looks great from that angle.”

“I bet it is,” was the dreamy response from Kitty, Marie, and Jubilee.

“Hey!” was the answering cry from the boys.

Kitty shrugged her shoulders. “When she’s right, she’s right, guys.”

Cyclops and Jean surprised them all when they emerged from the door right behind them, dressed in full battle leathers.

“I hope you’re all rested and ready to go. We go 110% all day. No excuses, guys. Now, start loosening up.”

“Yes, sir,” they all answered in unison, beginning to perform various stretches.

Storm landed softly beside Jean, also in her battle gear. Jubilee’s eyes were wide as saucers, asking herself just when did Miss Munroe get there.

As if reading her thoughts”and those of the rest of the teens, “Logan and I have uploaded the new schematics Katherine created and are ready to begin.”

Iceman’s eyes darted around the room quickly, “Logan? Where is he? When’d he get here?”

“Right here, Icepop.” Iceman jumped as Logan clamped a firm hand on his shoulder. His smile never revealed if he heard their earlier discussion or not.

“All right, seems everyone’s accounted for. Let’s start with the Alpha-Red scenario,” Cyclops ordered and everyone dispersed.

Just as the scenery in the Danger Room changed from a steel room to a dense jungle forest, Wolverine walked by Iceman to take position, “Don’t ferget ta watch out fer them porcupines, boy.”

Even in his mutated state, Iceman began to sweat and he gulped nervously. Gambit shook his head and whispered to his frazzled friend, “Vous êtes un homme mort, mon ami.

“W-what’s that mean?”

Rogue hovered above them, “It means yer ah dead man, sugah.”


Seven hours later, Danger Room…

“Alright, guys. Take fifteen while we review footage and make some adjustments to the programs,” Cyclops ordered as the room transitioned back to its former metal state.

He headed for the viewing room, followed by Jean and Wolverine. Storm headed toward the teens, “How are you doing? Any injuries to report?”

“Does Bobby’s rear end count? Wolverine’s knocked him on it a few hundred times,” Jubilee responded, adjusting her custom fit gloves.

Storm chuckled slightly, “I suggest you all hydrate and remain alert. The next round of simulations may begin unannounced.”

She turned on her heel and walked to join the senior members of the team in the viewing room, passing Kitty as she carried several bottles of water to her teammates.

“Here you go, guys.”

“I’d ask you to marry me right now, Katherine, if I weren’t so tired.” Peter gladly accepted the bottle from her.

“I know what yah mean, Pete, mah bruises got bruises.”

In fact, they were all exhausted, having never battled for such an extended period of time.

Winded, Allison removed her iPod earbuds and sat on the ground. “Damn, Cyclops wasn’t kidding when he said 110% all day.”

“Oui, cher. Even m’hair hurts from all dis,” Remy added, resting his head on Marie’s lap.

Marie softly stroked his hair. “Yeah, an didja see Logan out there? He was like a man possessed?”

Bobby winced as he thought about the past seven hours, “Yeah. Guess we can all assume that he didn’t get to finish what he and Miss Munroe started last night.”

Logan’s voice carried from the overhead speakers, “Listen up, runts. Next phase is hand ta hand combat. Icepop, yer gonna be my partner when we start up again.”

Bobby head dropped to Allison’s shoulder, and she would swear she heard him cry softly.

“So, Bobby, exactly what sauce goes best with foot-in-your-mouth stew? Did you forget about Logan’s super hearing?” Jubilee asked him.

Remy tried unsuccessfully to rise from his position, choosing instead to turn toward Bobby, “Vous ete-“

“I know, I know….dead man,” Bobby whimpered.



Meanwhile, Theos’ penthouse…

Theos called a meeting with his three unwilling servants. As they sat around the heavy wood table, he eyed them all closely.

“As you may or may not be aware, I have located Ororo and her companions. We move in two days’ time. I will not be delayed any further, no thanks to my faithful servant Damian.”

Ios and Deos eyed their companion, shock evident on their faces.

“No need to concern yourselves with his deception, I will not seek retribution from you. At least not yet. Damian is aware I will seek my pound of flesh once we have secured my queen. Isn’t that right, Damian?”

Damian did not shift his gaze, instead focusing on the rains that fell outside the large floor to ceiling windows. Contempt was evident in his voice. “Yes…sire.”

“Now, I urge you all to ready yourselves for battle. These companions of my queen are quite talented in some respects and can prove bothersome if we do not prepare ourselves.”

“But, sire, they are mere mutants. We have the power of the Gods behind us.” Deos spoke up.

His next words were cut off as Theos rushed him so quickly, he did not have time to prepare himself. Damian and Ios could only hold their breaths as they watched their friend dangle in the grasp of Theos. He struggled to breath through the unmovable fist clenched around his throat. Theos’ eyes danced with fire and he pulled Deos’ face close enough to feel the heat from his breath as he spoke.

“Fool! How many times have I told you not to question me? If I didn’t need you for the pending battle, I would flay your flesh from your bones again and leave you for the vultures.”

He flung Deos nearly twenty feet across the room, imbedding the man in the concrete wall. “Now, all of you leave my sight and prepare yourselves.”

Damian did not miss the contemptuous glare Ios affixed to their Lord as they left the table.

Perhaps all hope is not yet lost, he thought.
About Damn Time... by natadunn
“Yes, Professor. Ororo filled us in on all details this morning and we have made the necessary adjustments.” Scott sipped from his coffee as he spoke to the large screen image.

As opposed to speaking to them all through their psi-links, Professor Xavier opted to hold a conference via monitor. He wanted to be able to see all of there faces to gauge their moods, especially the younger members of the group.

“And just so you all know, I have not forgotten about punishment for disobeying my orders.” He eyed the teens.

They all dropped their heads in defeat. “Yes, sir.”

“Professor, please don’t be too hard on them. Although this is not what we had planned, they are proving themselves to be a valuable asset to the mission.” Ororo spoke in their defense, giving them all a reassuring wink.

“Yeah, I haven’t had this much fun on a mission in a while, Chuck. Ain’t that right, Popsicle?”

Bobby gave the Professor a strained smile, “Yeah. Having a blast, sir.”

“Very well. Then. I will consider their contributions prior to imposing a sanction. I trust you will notify me if any further assistance is needed. I have Beast and Angel on call should you require more help.”

“We will. Don’t worry too much, we’ll all be home shortly,” Jean said, her voice full of conviction and confidence.

“Xavier out.”

The moment the screen faded to black, Scott called up the video footage from the day’s Danger Room session. As he began to call their attention to the screen, Jean touched his arm softly.

“Scott, why don’t we save this for later and give them a chance to rest?” she said, gesturing to the tired faces of the teens.

“Jean”“

“Jean is right, Scott. They will be of no use to us if they are too exhausted to implement out strategy,” Ororo added.

“Okay. You guys take the rest of the afternoon off. We’ll pick this up at nine o’clock tonight.”

“Nine? Tonight? That’ll only give us”“ Jubilee began.

“Six whole hours, runt. Use ‘em wisely.” Logan interjected.

Peter quieted any further appeal by clamping his hand over Jubilee’s mouth. “Thank you, comrades. We rest now and we will return as you wish.”

Logan bit back a chuckle as he watched them drag their bodies up the cabin stairs. Cracking his knuckles as he turned to face his teammates, he said, “So, what’s our next move?”

“We take our own advice and get some rest, too,” Jean replied, dismissing any further argument. “We don’t all have your recuperative abilities, remember, Logan?”

She took Scott’s hand and led him to their suite on the main floor, leaving only Ororo and Logan in the room. He had planned on giving her some lascivious comment about burning off extra energy when he saw her leaning against the windowsill, gazing out into the woods surrounding them. He crept behind her soundlessly, not surprised when she did not startle as he embraced her. She always seemed to know when he was around. She sighed and leaned into him, clasping her hands over his as they fitted themselves around her waist. Resting his chin over her right shoulder, he spoke softly in her ear.

“Let’s get you some rest.”

Her tired voice and exhausted demeanor betrayed her next words. “I do not require any sleep, Logan.”

Choosing not to argue, Logan continued his gentle support. “I know, but I’d feel better knowing ya had a little downtime ‘fore we got started again. Do it fer me?”

Sighing, “Logan, I need to be ready in case”“

“Okay, okay. How ‘bout a compromise, then? Let’s at least get ya freshened up.”

Ororo shot him a skeptical look over her shoulder. Logan responded with a soft chuckle. “I promise, no funny stuff. On Scooter’s honor.”

“That does nothing to appease me, Logan,” she replied, allowing him to guide her towards the staircase.

He turned as he reached the third step, turning to her and waggling his eyebrows, “I know.”


Twenty minutes later, Ororo’s loft…

True to his word, Logan had been nothing but honorable since arriving in her bedroom. Presently, she lay across her bed at Logan’s urging while he readied her bathroom.

“Okay, ‘Ro. All ready fer ya,” his voice carried from her bathroom.

She padded the short distance across her room and was taken aback by the transformation her bathroom had undergone under Logan’s watch. Her senses were immediately assaulted by chamomile and vanilla from the multiple scented candles in the room, also providing the only lighting in the room. Soft music sounded somewhere from inside the room, steam rising around her. Logan had transformed her simple cabin bathroom into a veritable exotic spa, with various bamboo reeds and fresh flowers as far as the eye could see.

“When did you have time to bring in the flowers?” She was awestruck as she spoke.

“Ya’d be surprised how much can happen during a fifteen-minute nap.”

“I hadn’t even realized I’d fallen asleep.” Truth be told, she was shocked she slept so soundly.

“’Nuff talking, darlin’. Get yerself in the tub and let me work my magic.” He was regarded with yet another raised brow. “Look, I already promised no funny business. Scooter’s honor, remember? I’ll even turn around while ya drop robe and climb in.”

“Logan, you know that nudity is not an issue with me,” she said as she untied her robe, dropping it to the floor beneath her.

Whistling low in appreciation, Logan nodded. “I know, much ta the joy of me and every pubescent boy at the X-Mansion.”

Ororo shook her head, chuckling as she lowered herself into the water, “Liar. I am always sure the children are nowhere near.”

“But ya never knew I was around?”

“I never said that.”

“Vixen.”

Ororo moaned softly as she enjoyed the delectable warmth of the water. Although she felt no effects from the weather, she could always appreciate a nice, hot bath. Settling herself in amongst the foam bubbles, she moaned again, allowing the warmth to seep into her joints. She hadn’t realized how much she needed this until now.

“I see yer enjoyin’ the water. Now, lean forward so I can wash yer hair.”

She stilled immediately, glancing up at him as he dropped his own robe to the floor. No one had ever offered to perform such a task and she was shaken by how much his request had touched her. Logan stood before her clad only in black boxer briefs. For a moment, she thought he might have forgone his clothes underneath his robe. She didn’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed. Even though Ororo knew she and Logan would inevitably succumb to their passion, she still found herself nervous when it came to the subject. He’d no doubt be a very generous and more than capable lover; however, there was no point of return once one crossed that line with a friend. She treasured all her friendships, perhaps none more than that with Logan. She supposed it was because they both valued respect, honor, and honesty in each other. Theirs was not a conventional friendship. One could hardly say they were genial when they first met. But, here they were, on the cusp of something more than they ever expected.

“’Ro? If ya don’t want me ta do yer hair, just tell me.” His deep timbre snapped her back to the present.

“No, no. it’s…I was…trying to remember where my shampoos were.” She hoped that sounded believable.

“Already ahead of ya. Got ‘em right here.” He produced her favorite shampoo from behind her. “Now, relax and let me do what I do best.”

She complied and relaxed and allowed the moment to take her away. Logan’s fingers felt like heaven as he softly kneaded her scalp, working her shampoo into lather in her thick mane. He then used a small pitcher to rinse his work away, then repeated the act twice more before following with a final round of conditioner. Ororo was so relaxed she barely felt Logan’s feathersoft touches as he bathed her and rinsed her body, taking extra care to knead her tense shoulders until she felt boneless. He continued his gentle ministrations for some time before she finally succumbed to sleep, waking only when she felt his strong arms lift her from the water.

“Shh, I’ve got ya.”

He settled her onto a large terry cloth towel that had found its way to her bed, then produced another towel and began drying her from foot to head. When she was completely dry, he sat her up long enough to brush her hair out and put it into one thick braid. She vaguely remembered the smell of sandalwood oil as Logan massaged it into her shoulders, arms, legs, and feet before settling her underneath the soft covers on her bed. The bed rocked slightly as he left her. She lazily reached for him.

His hand found hers, “No worries, darlin’, I’m just going ta freshen up a little m’self. Be back ‘fore ya know it.”

Ororo awoke from the most peaceful slumber she’d ever had and noted by the faint dimming light outside that it must have been a little after seven PM. She felt amazingly refreshed, it was truly amazing what a relaxing bath and nearly three hours sleep could do for you. It was then she noticed the heavy arm draped across her midsection, smiling as she remembered the man who had made all this possible. She wondered if he, too, had fallen asleep and was rewarded by heavy breathing behind her. She settled back into his arms, figuring that another hour of sleep wouldn’t hurt.


Fifteen minutes later…

Ororo was awakened by movement next to her as Logan stretched. She turned over to find him smiling lazily as he worked the last few kinks out of his shoulders.

“Sorry ta wake ya’, darlin’. Needed a good stretch.”

“It’s quite alright. I’d awoken earlier and decided to be lazy just a while longer.” She rewarded him with a brilliant smile, deciding to do some stretching of her own.

Logan sucked in a sharp breath as he felt her naked body press against his. How had he forgotten she was nude? After all, he was the one to bathe her and put her to bed hours before. He did a quick inventory and was relieved to find that he maintained at least some decorum and that he had some underwear on.

Hearts? Jeezus! Logan chided himself internally as he realized he was wearing the boxer briefs given to him by Jubilee and Allison last Christmas.

“Hearts?”

“Umm…”

He must have grabbed the gag gift he’d gotten from the girls in his rush to get back to Ororo’s side. Dammit. He felt a flush creep up his face, then cursed himself for it”Logan didn’t do flush. However, he was doing a lot of things he didn’t normally do lately. He shook his head slightly to dispel the thought.

“No need to be embarrassed. I find them extremely… attractive.” Ororo lazily drew circles over his chest.

Logan closed his eyes and tried to calm his erratic heartbeat, “‘Ro…” his voice sounded rough even to his own ears.

She said nothing as her hand continued its journey south, grazing over his straining manhood. She stroked him through the cotton of his underwear, alternating between strokes and slight squeezes. She kissed him full on the lips, capturing the moan that spilled from them.

He tried again to reason with her before he completely lost all control of the situation.

“’Ro, the timin’ ain’t right”“ She silenced him with a breathtaking kiss.

“Shh, you took care of me when I needed it, now let me do the same for you.”

Logan ground his teeth as he willed himself to calm down. He indulged himself a moment more to her ministrations before he gently stilled her hands. Ororo didn’t seem offended that Logan stopped her, she simply looked into his eyes and waited for him to speak. Logan brought her hand to his mouth and gently brushed her knuckles with his lips. Ororo watched him fight an internal battle as indecision flitted across his eyes.

She placed a hand to his heart, her voice warm and throaty as she spoke. “It’s okay.”

“No, no. It’s not what you think, believe me, nobody wants this,” he gestured between himself and Ororo, “ta happen more than me. I just gotta know yer okay up here and right here.” He gently touched her forehead and over her heart to emphasize his point, his voice softening considerably.

“It’s just these last few months, ya’ve had ta deal with a lotta shit”“

“Logan.” Her voice was low but still firm.

“I know, I know, sorry. What I meant was ya’ve had ta deal with a lotta…crap lately”ya know, with tha dancin’ thing and those morons at that café. I just wanna make sure yer dealin’ with ev’rything alright.” His eyes followed the path set by his hand as he gently stroked the side of Ororo’s face.

Ororo closed her eyes slowly and leaned into Logan’s touch, sighing softly.

“Logan, I…process things differently than most. I don’t allow many things to effect me”“

“’Ro.” The conviction in his voice made her take notice. “Ya don’t need ta be the strong one all the time. Let me be strong fer ya, ‘Ro. Please.”

Ororo was rendered momentarily speechless by Logan’s plea, she leaned forward and whispered across his lips, “I don’t do tears, so don’t expect any.”

Logan chuckled, “I wouldn’t have ya any other way.” He didn’t give Ororo time to reply before his lips crashed against hers.

The kiss magnified in its intensity as Ororo and Logan battled for control. Ororo decided to allow Logan to guide the kiss. He moaned into her mouth as he eased her onto her back and angled his body atop hers. Logan continued his gentle assault on her lips, breaking away only to trail a blaze of fire down the side of her caramel throat. Ororo tangled her hands in Logan’s hair, pulling his mouth back to hers. She captured his bottom lip between her teeth and nipped lightly, gradually increasing to a slight tug. Logan smiled into the kiss, enjoying the rough play of Ororo. She continued her own assault on his lips, taking advantage of his momentary lapse in concentration and flipped Logan onto his back. Ororo smiled at the mask of surprise he wore, locking her knees around his sides as she straddled his waist. Logan gulped at the feral look he found in her eyes, which had somehow gone from crystal blue to nearly midnight. Ororo ground herself against his growing bulge, reaching both hands back to untie the braid her hair rested in. Logan sucked in sharply as he watched her hair cascade down in curly waves.

Jeezus H. Christ, if I die right now, I’d be a happy man. This is what a Goddess looks like.

Somehow, during his moment of awe, Ororo had freed him of the confining underwear. He released a slow breath as he felt her heated core against his erection with no barriers. Ororo leaned into him, whispering hotly in his ear.

“Give me your strength, Logan. Give it all to me.”

Logan was under her spell and could do nothing to stop her”not that he would, anyway. Ororo kissed him as he had never been kissed in his life and he could feel himself falling deeper under her power. The Wolverine fought to be free, wanting to dominate the Goddess before him, but Logan fought even harder against the beast. He wanted to be in full control when he made love to this woman. His voice straining from the battle, he spoke as he nuzzled her neck.

“Love ya, ‘Ro.”

“And I love you, Logan. Now let me show you.”

She rained kisses down Logan’s neck to his broad chest. She in turn nuzzled her cheek against the wide expanse, reveling in the soft hair peppered across his chest. Logan massaged her scalp as she continued to pepper kisses over him, slowing when she reached his abdomen. Logan fought to keep his grip light as he felt Ororo breathe heat into his navel as her hands found his impressive erection. Her grip tightened as she explored his hot length, using the moisture at his tip to lubricate his shaft as she pumped him. His breathing quickened as she was relentless, her mouth replacing her hands on his member as she took a nipple between her fingers. Ororo used the friction created by her teeth and tongue on his tip and her nimble fingers to transform his nipples into taut peaks. Her hand continued to pump him as she trailed her kisses back to his mouth. Logan was sure he had never been loved like this ever, no matter how many centuries he may have lived; however, he had to stop her before things ended too soon. Gripping her underneath her arms, Logan used this leverage to flip Ororo on her back. She smiled back up at him, lust evident in her eyes.

“My turn,” he said with a feral grin.

Logan braced himself above her, looking deeply into her eyes before descending down slowly to capture her lips in a gentle kiss. He was pleasantly surprised to find that the low growl he heard actually came from Ororo instead of himself. Logan teased the inside shell of her ear shortly before moving his attention to her full and ample breasts. Latching his mouth to one while simultaneously teasing the other to a taut peak with his hands, Logan worshipped her breasts almost to the point of torture. Ororo groaned as the winds outside simultaneously increased. Her eyes began a slow transition from their usual blue to white as Logan trailed his kisses from her breasts downward, stopping momentarily to dip his tongue into her navel. She let out a gasp of surprise as his finger touched her core, testing her readiness. Risking a glance at the man below her, Ororo’s was taken aback by the look of pure adoration shining in his eyes. Logan surprised her by winking briefly before burying his face in the apex of her thighs. The first moment of contact between his tongue and her sensitive bud elicited a breathy “F-f-fuck” from Ororo. Logan stopped his actions long enough to look at her with a raised brow.

“Ororo, yer language.” His tone was mildly surprised and full of humor as he playfully chided her.

Any further teasing was silenced by the hungry look he found in her eyes. Covered with a fine sheen of sweat, Logan had never seen anything more beautiful. He growled low in his chest as he resumed his previous task. Ororo thrashed about the bed as he continued to lick and lap at her center, unconsciously causing an increase in not only her core temperature but that of the atmosphere around her. Logan paid no heed to the bead of sweat trailing down his spine as he continued his assault relentlessly. The winds outdoors began to increase exponentially, pounding against the windows of the compound, the air around them thick from their mutual arousal. Although he could barely hear anything above the pounding of his own heart, Logan could only decipher bits and pieces of Ororo’s cries of pleasure as she unconsciously slipped from English to Swahili. Her dialect wavered as she was assaulted by wave upon wave of pleasure, increasing until it was nearly blinding. Ororo felt as if she would burst through her own skin as Logan continually brought her to the precipice, only to bring her back without the completion she craved. His back stinging from the lacerations he received courtesy of her fingernails, Logan teased her continuously with his tongue and gentle nips with his teeth, his own erection hardening to the point of painful. Although he knew she couldn’t take much more, Logan found he could not get enough of her essence, and he was sure she tasted of the sweetest ambrosia. Ororo’s breath came in gasps, her words a string of chants in her native Swahili. Just when she thought she’d lose consciousness from Logan’s neverending assault, he inserted two fingers, finding her “G” spot at the same time his tongue roughly flicked her highly sensitized nub, finally sending her crashing into oblivion. Ororo let loose a strangled cry as her body began to spasm uncontrollably. For brief seconds, she lost all control over her mutation as lightning illuminated the night sky outdoors and heavy rains began to fall, the winds howled in time with her release, and thunder sounded so loudly it shook the grounds around them. Electricity crackled in the atmosphere as she continued to shake from the power of her orgasm. Logan didn’t have time to grin smugly as he found himself surrounded by a wall of low-voltage electricity emanating from Ororo.

Logan ground his teeth in an effort to keep his own orgasm at bay, he knew she would be an incredible lover, but this was beyond his wildest imagination, it was as if she was sharing her orgasm with him. The tingling sensation soon decreased to a low buzzing as her orgasm finally subsided. The frenzied weather mimicked the Weather Goddess’ physical and emotional state as she tried to regain her composure. Once she was sure she could move again, Ororo pulled Logan atop her and seared him with a blinding kiss. Her capable hands found the heavy weight of his erection as she guided him to her center. Feeling his engorged tip begin to stretch her already, Ororo used her legs to push him in further. Logan hissed as he felt her tight heat sheathe him.

“Oh, God, ‘Ro.” His voice was reverential, his breathing shallow as he fought to maintain control.

Ororo clamped down on his earlobe as he continued to fill her with his impressive length and girth, hissing herself as he seemed to expand even more. Logan buried his head in the crook of her neck, surrounding himself with her scent. Sandalwood, rain, and a touch of vanilla. Setting a steady pace, Logan withdrew slowly, prolonging their mutual enjoyment by hesitating slightly before thrusting back in just as slowly. It felt as if Ororo’s hands were everywhere at once, as she lifted her hips to meet his thrusts. Logan found he had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from ending their session as Ororo clamped down on his manhood with her inner muscles, his eyes rolled back in his head. Their dance continued for some time before Logan withdrew completely, much to Ororo’s dismay. He shifted so that his back was on the mattress and Ororo lay atop him, her back to his front. Using his legs to separate hers, Logan teased her bud with his fingers as he used his other hand to guide himself into her center from behind. Ororo’s eyes snapped with electricity at the pleasant intrusion, causing the temperature in the room to increase again. Continuing to tease her with one hand in time with his thrusts from behind, Logan used his free hand to stroke the column of her throat.
“So good….so good,” he ground into her ear, her platinum hair falling onto his face.

Ororo braced herself with both hands on his lean hips, using them as leverage as she met his thrusts with force. Logan, sensing her desire to change the pace, increased the tempo of his own thrusts. The air was filled with their moans of pleasure and the sound of skin making contact with skin, accompanied by steadily increasing winds. Ororo again used her inner muscles to clamp down on Logan as she increased her pace even more, her breath now coming in desperate gasps. Logan could feel a blinding light building in the back of his eyes, signaling one hell of an orgasm to come. Pain exploded in his mouth as his incisors fully extended, he fought the urge to claim her as his own.

“Do it. Do it now.” Ororo’s breathless plea was all he needed.

Following her command, Logan clamped down between her shoulder and throat, not using as much force as he wanted for fear of doing serious damage. His orgasm ripped through him in that moment as he could taste the sweet essence of Ororo’s blood. Logan roared his release, his thrust coming with even more intensity as he rode out his orgasm, having the presence of mind to bring Ororo to her own blinding release with the flick of his thumb across her highly sensitized bud. Ororo came for the second time that night, this time she was more vocal than before. Never had she though that being bitten by Logan would trigger such a powerful response. Their mutual orgasm seemed to last forever, each moment accompanied by a new sensation. The heavens outside opened and rained down in time with Ororo’s release. After several minutes, the two lovers finally reached the end of their mutual journey, leaving Ororo breathless and motionless as Logan thrust into her until his spasms ended. Logan finally withdrew and lay her on her back beside him. It was then he noticed the tears that had managed to escape and trail down her beautiful face. Turning her to face him fully, he noticed her eyes had yet to return to the customary blue, although her face was completely serene. He wanted so badly to make a smug comment about his affect on her, but was still in awe from what they’d just experienced. His mouth opened and closed three times with no sound. Instead, he kissed her fully on the lips and crushed her body to his own. It was then he glanced out her floor to ceiling windows and saw the effects of their lovemaking.

Though it ws difficult, he found his voice. “‘Uh, ‘Ro? I think ya need ta work yer magic, babe.”

He heard her muffled reply of “What?”

Easing his weight off her, he indicated she look out the windows. She gasped as she saw the storm raging outside. Sitting up immediately, she focused her thoughts on calming the storm. Logan allowed himself a smile then, sitting up behind her and draping his legs on either side of her. As the last vestiges of the storm died down, he rested his chin on her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Don’t you dare say it” she warned him, her eyes finally returning to their astonishing blue. Chuckling into her shoulder, he licked the two small marks where his teeth broke the skin.

“Nothing ta say. I think ya said it loud enough fer the tri-state area ta hear.”

He gave her a gentle squeeze as she dropped her head in defeat, “So it seems. So it seems.”
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=3239