A Summer of Sunsets by Echo
Summary: From separate lives, two grieving souls find the strength to comfort one another during the most difficult of times.
Categories: Serials Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 136592 Read: 67265 Published: 05-07-04 Updated: 08-07-08

1. Prologue (Worlds Apart) by Echo

2. Always Something There to Remind Me, pt.1 by Echo

3. Always Something There to Remind Me, pt.2 by Echo

4. First Impressions, pt. 1 by Echo

5. First Impressions, pt. 2 by Echo

6. First Impressions, pt. 3 by Echo

7. Choices & Decisions, pt. 1 by Echo

8. Choices & Decisions, pt. 2 by Echo

9. Choices & Decisions, pt. 3 by Echo

10. Choices & Decisions, pt. 4 by Echo

11. Something New, pt. 1 by Echo

12. Something New, pt. 2 by Echo

13. Something New, pt. 3 by Echo

14. Reunion, pt. 1 by Echo

15. Reunion, pt. 2 by Echo

16. Reunion, pt. 3 by Echo

17. Reunion, pt. 4 by Echo

18. Reunion, pt. 5 by Echo

19. Reunion, pt. 6 by Echo

20. Reunion, pt. 7 by Echo

21. Logan's Run, pt.1 by Echo

22. Logan's Run, pt.2 by Echo

23. Logan's Run, pt. 3 by Echo

24. Logan's Run, pt. 4 by Echo

25. Summer Moved On, pt. 1 by Echo

26. Summer Moved On, Pt. 2 by Echo

27. Summer Moved On, Pt. 3 by Echo

28. Summer Moved On, Pt. 4 by Echo

29. Epilogue (Always Forever…Now) by Echo

Prologue (Worlds Apart) by Echo
Series: Seasons Change vol.1

Title: A Summer of Sunsets

Category: AU

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters that may or may not pop up in the course of this fic. There are several original characters introduced for the sake of the story, which are of my own creation, whose identities will be obviously apparent from trademarked entities belonging to Marvel. No offense is intended by the use of Marvel properties, and no $$ gleaned from this story. Just havin' some fun.

Feedback: Please, and thank you

Dedication: To Jasmine33 and NemesisBecoming (You guys know why)


A Summer of Sunsets
Prologue, "Worlds Apart"

8:30 a.m. EST in Brooklyn, NY
August 1st, 2003...

It was an unusually warm summer for the northeast, but the recently released school children couldn't have cared less as they filled the streets of the neighborhood with high-pitched laughter.

Unable to help a smile, Ororo Munroe turned away from the scene on the street as she finished raising the windows on the 2nd floor of her brownstone. As she carefully sipped her green tea her thoughts began to reflect on how quickly this summer vacation was passing. Smirking to herself bittersweetly, she had to admit that it was mainly referred to as "vacation" by her students. Not many members of the faculty at the prestigious private school she worked for ever referred to those quick summer months as "vacation". For many of them it was hardly much more than a 'break' in the madness.

'And you wouldn't trade it for all the gold in Fort Knox.' She admonished herself with a wry grin. Ororo had been teaching since she was 22 years old, all through her B.A. and 1st Master's Degree. The challenge was something that she found almost as rewarding as the act of teaching itself. After moving back to the NY area and beginning her tenure-track at The Masters School, she had begun to feel as though the hardships she'd endured in life may just have been worth it.

Sipping from her cup again, she came back farther into the bedroom of the quiet brownstone, and her eyes rested on the pile of opened mail she'd been trying to go through earlier. On the top of said pile rested two unopened letters. One envelope was neatly stamped with the official stationary of the Xavier Institute for Gifted Students and the other was a plain pale blue with only a small dark blue colored embossed insignia on the upper left corner. Ororo would've recognized the up-turned wings over the diamond-shaped pins even if she'd had her eyes closed.

The former, she was sure, was the usual correspondence from her beloved adopted father Charles--probably another invitation to spend a few weeks of the summer back home just in time for the family reunion they always held at the end of August. Ororo grinned at the thought of her father carefully penning the letter with a quill and fresh India ink; Charles Xavier was nothing if not old fashioned, firmly believing that the world's technological advancements--which he used daily--were meant for everything except letter writing. She was sure the man had never typed nor emailed in the place of a personal letter in his entire life.

Chuckling to herself at that, Ororo sat at the edge of her bed, still holding the cup of warm tea. Her smile faded somewhat, when her clear blue eyes shifted and landed on that other letter. Bringing her cup up to sip, her gaze never left it, as she visually burned a hole through that cloudy-blue envelope embossed with the insignia of the U.S. Air Force. 'What could You possibly have to say to me, after all this time?'

With a heavy sigh, she reached for the Professor's letter, sliding it out from beneath the AF envelope. At the moment she really didn't want to spoil the pleasant morning she was having, so whatever was contained in that envelope would remain there for at least one more afternoon.

Delicately opening her adoptive father's carefully penned letter, Ororo confirmed her initial belief of his intent, admiring the beautiful script of the hand-written invite to the Xavier family reunion. It was a tradition nearing its 1st decade--one that Charles Xavier had pain-stakingly nurtured to be of a prime importance among the diversified group he'd taught and those he'd adopted over the years. They were more than simply fellow students at his successful school in Westchester County. Many of them had grown up as his legal children...Ororo was one of them.

Carefully setting the invite down beside her, 'Ro picked up her cordless phone beside the bed, pressing the 1st stored number that was in her phone's memory. She'd suddenly had an overwhelming need to hear his voice.

After only a single ring (of course, he had known) the line was picked up, and his deep, melodic voice spoke clearly, "Hello, Ororo."

She smiled, sighing as she felt comforted immediately. "Hi dad."




16:25 hrs. Fort Hamilton Army Base near NYC
August 13th, 2003...


Private First Class Benjamin Campbell raced down the halls of the military base, his spindly brown arms pumping in time with his legs as they carried him through the corridors. The cell phone in his hand nearly slipped a couple of times as the sweat from his clammy palms counteracted the grip he had on the device.

Usually a pretty busy place, for some eerie reason there was no one in the halls for him to trample, which was lucky for the 20 yr. old because way, waay in the back of his mind, he knew he shouldn't be going quite so fast, but under the circumstances, he didn't care. 'Gotta find 'im..!'

His squeaky, military-issue Oxfords gleamed and twinkled in the fluorescent light of the halls, and their rhythmic tapping against linoleum was the only accompaniment to his panting breath and thumping heart.

As Campbell rounded the next corner, his frantic eyes darted back and forth between the numbered doors to either side of him, desperately seeking one in particular all the while dreading the moment he'll inevitably find it. After passing roughly six or seven sets of doors, he came to an abrupt, skidding halt before one marked '1122-Conference', and didn't so much as knock before roughly twisting the knob and barreling through.

Inside the small, dimly-lit conference room, the gathered group of men and women all looked up with surprised alarm. They were all Officers, their varying ranks clearly visible on their uniforms, and evidently had been in the middle of some extremely important--and confidential--material, as the man standing at the head of the conference table angrily slapped off the portable projector which had previously displayed a map's image on the silk screen set up at the front of the room. "Private! What the hell're you doing bustin' up in here like that, son!?!"

Private 1st Class Campbell straightened himself immediately, standing rigidly erect and eyes forward as he quickly saluted the Marine Corps Officers before him. It was the only gesture of respect he gave, his concern obviously elsewhere. He tried not to look any of them in the eye, knowing his ass was in hot water. "Sir! Excuse the interruption, General Ackens, Sir!"

As the other Officers grumbled beneath their breaths, quickly confiscating confidential papers into folders and briefs and shooting Campbell daggers, the General stepped around the table, closing the distance between them with such speed, Campbell had been unsure for a moment if the man intended to stop before trampling him. None noticed one of the Officers hadn't moved an inch since the young man's entrance; his grey eyes wide and watching the young Private closely.


"Well, speak up, Marine," General Ackens towered above the 6' tall young man at an impressive 6'5", "what've you got t'say fer yourself?! I oughta have your ass tossed in the brig--"

Behind them, a deep, gruff voice broke through the air. "The Boy's with me, Ackens."

The General turned quickly, as Campbell's expression was one of guarded relief. "What??"

The man sitting at the conference table looked at the General with weary eyes, his expression more dark and solemn than anyone would've thought possible. Even for him.

"What is it, kid?" The man transferred his gaze to Campbell, who took that as his cue to come forward. Stopping with a good 2 to 3 feet between them, Campbell extended his hand, holding out the cell phone.

"Sir, it's urgent! I came to get you, just like you said--"

"Howlett, what the blue fuck is goin' on?!" General Ackens had obviously had enough of the subterfuge. "The whole point to this meetin' was that no one was supposed to know, and here you are tellin' Privates??!"

Ben Campbell swallowed hard, his brown eyes wide as he looked down at his superior. "Colonel Howlett, it's your wife. I've got her on hold."

The General bit back whatever it was he was about to say, as the small gathering of Officers suddenly came quiet. Colonel James Howlett NEVER took personal calls while on duty. He refused to even carry the cell phone the Private was now handing him. When the Col. was on duty (but then, when wasn't he?), nothing else mattered. He'd been like that since General Ackens had first met the man. What in all hell could it be that was important enough he'd interrupt their mission briefing??

Howlett flipped the Samsung SPH-i500 open, and took the line off hold, bringing it up to his ear automatically. His voice barely breathed into the speaker, "Jean?"

The first sounds he heard were of background noise, someone speaking on a P.A. system, and pieces of garbled conversation that only ears as acute as his would've been able to pick out...had he been listening. For a moment he thought she wasn't on the line anymore. After another second, he heard her raspy sigh, as she collected herself to speak. "Logan, hurry..!It's Amahra...she needs you..."

Barely able to control his hand's tremble, Howlett gulped forcefully before he spoke quickly, "I'm on my way."

Ben Campbell was hot on the Colonel's heels as the two men headed to the exit. Behind them, Gen. Ackens hesitated before he called out, "Howlett! Where in hell are you goin?! We're in the middle of--"

Logan shook his head, turning just briefly to make eye contact with the General. "Fuck it, Jase. It's my kid."


TBC in A Summer of Sunsets, Chapter 1 "Always Something There to Remind Me",pt. 1 (Coming Soon)
Always Something There to Remind Me, pt.1 by Echo
Series: Seasons Change

Category: AU

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters that may or may not pop up in the course of this fic. There are several original characters introduced for the sake of the story, which are of my own creation, whose identities will be obviously apparent from trademarked entities belonging to Marvel. No offense is intended by the use of Marvel properties, and no $$ gleaned from this story. Just havin' some fun.

Feedback: Please, and thank you

Dedication: To Jasmine33 and NemesisBecoming (You guys know why)


A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #1, "Always Something There to Remind Me", pt. 1

Long Island, NY
June 11th, 2004…


The black limousine pulled away from the ferry drop off slowly and eventually picked up speed as it headed toward the Hamptons. The smooth ride was even further quieted since there was but a solitary figure in the cab.

Ororo Munroe sat rigidly in the middle of the limo’s rear cab, her eyes downcast and forlorn as she watched the terrain pass outside. Unconsciously she chewed her lip, as her fingers grasped a cluster of papers decorated lightly around the edges. She hadn’t looked at the stationary for almost a week, but she’d already memorized their contents from a single read…

May 5th, 2004
“My Dear Ororo,
First, please accept Charles’ most sincere apologies. It seems as though even the most relaxing of tasks sometimes saps his quickly depleted energy, but he wished for me to relay to you it was not his intent to have me pen this letter. As you can well imagine, it has been extremely difficult for him to have to rely so much on others”even me. But, enough of that. I’m sure you were not expecting to open this letter to read about how stubborn your father can be, so I will get to the point with no further delay.

As you know, the annual Xavier Institute and family reunion is quickly approaching this year, and normally Charles would be sending out his laboriously hand-written invitations, as he was able to do last summer.

Unfortunately, Charles’ health has not been at its best, as I understand you know, and after a bevy of tests and procedures, your brother Henry believes he knows the primary cause. Moira has conferred with him on several occasions, for a 2nd opinion, I assume, and seems to be in agreement with Hank’s initial prognosis.

I deeply regret both the nature of this letter as well as the fact that Charles does not wish for me to go into specifics; he hopes you understand that”upon your arrival to the estate”he will make these issues clear and answer any questions/concerns he’s sure you are to have.

Please do not be alarmed at the vagueness of my letter; Charles wished to keep you apprised of everything in his life, but unfortunately his poor health of late has prevented this. Rest assured, he would rather see you and speak in person, and is quite excited about this year’s Reunion, as it represents the 10th anniversary of our special little familial gatherings.

Hence, it is imperative that you are able to attend this year’s festivities. While I realize your extensive schedule at the School occupies a great deal of your time, I sincerely ask that you please make arrangements to see your father this year at the reunion.

Charles sends his warmest regards and we both look forward to your arrival.
Best Wishes & I shall see you soon,
Erik.”



Sighing deeply, Ororo suddenly folded the pages of stationary neatly together, and jammed them back into the envelope clearly stamped with the Xavier Institute logo. Even with them physically out of touch, Erik Lehnsherr’s words still reverberated through her mind. The funny thing was she hadn’t needed those cryptic words to begin to clue her in that something wasn’t quite right with Charles Xavier. The weekly phone calls she’d enjoyed from the only man she could recall as a father had silently drifted away, becoming farther and farther apart, and when they did manage to catch each other, it usually wasn’t for very long, as Charles seemed to tire quickly these days.

Of course, ‘Ro had chalked it all up to the insurmountable stress he endured, from his duties over The Institute and establishing the new school in Massachusetts to the frequent trips he made to Genosha, where he’d picked up his mantle of U.N. Ambassador and liaison once again to try to help the suffering people there. It was reasonable, she consoled herself, that a man her father’s age would not be able to keep that hectic pace for long.

So, it had come as some surprise those few months ago, when he’d contacted her, and eventually got around to mentioning the bevy of tests and procedures her adopted brother and Charles’ doctor Henry McCoy had planned. With Ororo’s frantic schedule at The Masters School”what with finals and end of the term paperwork weighing her down”it was too easy to allow her own problems to smother her, and so the follow-up on her dad went unchecked for several weeks.

Smoothing a thick lock of cloud-colored hair out of her eyes, Ororo silently admitted to herself that there was more than a chance she could’ve distanced herself purposely…after all, Charles Xavier was everything to her; father, mentor, friend, confidant. His face was the earliest memory she could recall, from that traumatic experience she suffered at the tender age of five…

Blinking rapidly, Ororo shook her head vigorously to clear it, feeling the subtle skip in her heartbeat and the tightness in her throat. The claustrophobic symptoms were, often times, all that remained of her memories from the day her birth parents died in Cairo, Egypt. Several times in her youth she had pleaded with Charles, begging him to use his formidable mental prowess to peel back the layers of her fragile mind, and expose the memory her own mind refused to recall, but couldn’t allow Ororo to escape. Each time, Charles gently let her down, insisting it was up to her to divulge that memory. He refused to use his telepathic abilities in such an invasive manner, especially on a mind such as hers. He couldn’t be sure how her emotional state would be affected, and since her own mutant abilities are so very closely linked to them, firmly decided against it.

For awhile, the decision had been such a bone of contention between father and daughter, until Ororo realized the truth of Xavier’s words, and decided to stop pursuing a painful memory of an event she couldn’t possibly hope to alter.

But that was years ago. Ororo was past all that, and realized how thankful she truly was for the life she could remember. The adopted siblings she cherished as deeply as she loved Charles. The need for a “traditional” family with parents and siblings who physically resembled her was quickly replaced with a thankful heart. There were many, many young mutants in the world at that very moment, who would never in their young, short and painful existences know even a small portion of the comfort, stability or love Ororo had received from Charles and the assorted flavors that represented the Xavier family. The first time Charles had taken her to Genosha, she’d realized this…

“Miss? We’re coming up on the estate momentarily.”
Ororo’s head snapped up in attention and she jumped slightly at the driver’s voice through the intercom. Leaning to her left, she laid a finger on the reply button, pressing gently. “Thank you, Martin.”

Once again in silence, ‘Ro settled back against the firm, leather interior, hugging herself tightly for a moment. The slight butterflies fluttering around her belly were enough of a distraction; she could stop focusing on what it was Charles needed to see her for to tell her. The anxious feeling she’d been nursing since boarding the ferry to Long Isl. had very little to do with that, after all.

Almost against her will, Ororo reached down into her carry-on case for the slightly plump bundle of unopened letters she’d hastily stacked and bound together with a large rubber band. For more than a year now, she’d withstood the urge to see what they contained, firmly believing in the adage of ‘out of sight, out of mind’. For some reason (that she rather not consider too deeply) she was unable to simply throw them away. The still-crisp edges of the pale blue envelopes winked at her devilishly, as if they could gauge her curiosity. ‘Ro cast a disapproving glance at them, scowling at the silent reminder of the person they represented.

‘It’s alright, ’Ro,’ she told herself, stuffing the bundle in her windbreaker’s pocket and hardening herself against the memories those unopened letters conjured, ‘Soon enough, he can have them back, and it’ll be all over with. If he can’t move on, then you’ll just have to leave him behind, won’t you?’


About 30 Minutes Later…
Martin the chauffer smoothly brought the car to a stop at the front of the beachside estate, and scrambled around to the back where Ororo thanked him for opening her door. As he began unloading her luggage, a few of the servants came down from the house to help with her things. She didn’t question how they knew she’d arrived, as she stepped away from the car and glanced up the slight incline to the front porch entrance.

Behind her dark sunglasses, her eyes brightened at the sight of Erik Lehnsherr, who stood beside one of the Romanesque columns supporting the porch. He easily returned her smile, and then suddenly twisted his head back toward the opened front door as if he’d heard his name called. After several seconds, Charles Xavier appeared, stroking the wheels on his chair as he pushed himself forward. His clear blue eyes sparkled when they met hers, and he seemed visibly more relaxed just at the sight of her.

“It’s good to see you again, Ororo.” Erik reached down, taking her free hand to help her up the steps. She smiled graciously, dropping the carry-on and hugging him to her tightly.

“Likewise, Erik.” She pushed her sunglasses up onto her forehead, and turned to Xavier, who was patiently waiting his turn.

Charles gazed up at his daughter with a father’s love, watching her as she crossed the couple of feet distancing them and knelt before his chair, which put her eye level just below his.

The two leaned closer, till their foreheads just met, and Ororo closed her eyes with a soft sigh when she felt his soothing presence beside her, in her mind. *Have a good trip?*

She nodded just barely, her eyes closed but she still smiled. *Mm. It was a pleasant ride over. I haven’t taken the ferry in some time.*

*Good, good. Your siblings are already here, so I thought we could have dinner together, tonight…*

*…Just like we used to.* Her thoughts overlapped his, and they could hear each other’s chuckle echo in their heads.

‘Ro slipped her arms around his torso, hugging him tightly as she buried her face against his chest. Charles stroked her long bound ponytail of silk-white hair, and lightly laid a kiss to the crown of her head. *Welcome Home.*

A Short While Later, as the hired help continued their daunting tasks of preparing the night’s meal, Ororo settled into the top floor room she’d favored as a young girl. It was one of the larger rooms in the house, with an impressive balcony that faced the Atlantic.

She hurried to unpack her belongings, thinking that she’d go find Charles before dinner. The letter Erik had written her only a couple of months before still lingered in the back of her mind, and she was curious as to what he’d seemingly wanted to say, but felt restrained not to divulge.

Before she could focus too much on that train of thought, a light knock sounded at the door a la “shave and a hair cut”, disrupting her. Ororo stood up from the sitting position she’d held before the large armoire in the room, and stretched on her way to the door. “Hold on…”

Bright green eyes twinkled beneath dark auburn and white locks, and ‘Ro returned the wicked grin as Marie Darkholme leaned in to carefully give her a hug. The two women chuckled and ‘Ro pulled Marie’s arm, leading her inside before she shut the door. “Well, shit-in-chitlins, you came!”

“Yeah, I guess I could manage to make it this time.” Ororo returned to her unpacking as the energetic southern belle made a bee-line for the bed, pouncing on the soft mattress before stretching out completely. She ignored ‘Ro’s snickers as she made herself comfortable like a feline.

“You just gettin’ here?”

Ororo nodded, continuing to unpack. “Yes. Just a little while ago, actually. I’m trying to finish this unpacking before dinner.”

Marie sat up, shaking her long bangs out of her eyes. She fixed ‘Ro’s back with a wry grin. “Aintcha glad we don’t have t’bother with those chores anymore?”

“More than I’ll ever let on.” ‘Ro responded with a short laugh, recalling the daily tasks at the Institute that accompanied their studies. “Speaking of school, how’s it going?”

Marie shrugged, sitting up enough to support herself on one elbow. “Ugh. Why didn’t you tell me Grad School was gonna suck so hard?? Shit, if I have to come up with one more damn thesis, I’mma take a glove off and touch somebody.”

‘Ro couldn’t help the burst of laughter that erupted from her. “Marie!” She chastised, trying not to continue laughing, but failing miserably. As she eventually sobered, she was glad to see her young sister had come to terms with her mutation enough to joke about it. Marie was still working hard with Charles to control her God-given ability to sap the life-force and energy of others. She’d managed to achieve a limited amount of control, but not enough so that she could freely move about without the long sleeves and/or gloves. Still, it was a great achievement, and the 24 year old Grad Student wasn’t about to give up hope of one day completely controlling her formidable power.

What??” The younger woman rolled onto her belly, giving her sister what was supposed to pass for an innocent expression.

“You are just horrible.” Ororo laughed, getting up with a precarious armful of toiletries and heading for her bathroom. While she arranged her things just to her liking, she raised her voice so Marie could still hear. “Oh! I got your last video mail, by the way. I hate to be the voice of ‘I told you so’, but didn’t I warn you about trusting that Swamp Rat?”


Marie grunted, distracted, as she came over to the armoire where ‘Ro’s bags littered the floor. She gave herself a once-over in the vanity’s mirror beside the armoire, fixing her hair. “Yeah, yeah, yeah…”

“Don’t you ‘yeah, yeah’ me…”

“Big Sis was right, okay? It’s not like ah didn’t know the Boy was incapable ‘a commitment. Ah jus’ thought he’d try a lit’l harder with me, is all…” Marie’s voice trailed off as she caught sight of the fat left pocket on ‘Ro’s windbreaker. She didn’t hesitate to lift the garment off of its resting place on the vanity’s chair, and reach one manicured hand inside.

From the bathroom, ‘Ro could be heard ‘tsk’ing several times. “Girl, what’d I tell you? I’ve known Remy longer than anyone. The guy’s been one of my best friends for years, and I love him like the rotten little brother he pretends to be, but boyfriend-material, sadly, he is not.”

“Hm-hmm.” Marie half-responded, unbinding the thick packet of letters and sifting through them one at a time, her beautiful green eyes widening with each one.

Still inside the bathroom, ‘Ro was finishing straightening her things and about to come out for the rest. As she visually inspected the room to her satisfaction, she called out, “Do you know where he’s run off to, this time? I ought to give that boy a lightning bolt to sit on, treating my sister like that…Marie? Marie??”

As Ororo came to the door of the bathroom, Marie suddenly appeared right before her, waving the letters before ‘Ro’s nose. “An’ just when were you gonna tell me ‘bout these? Hm??”

On instinct, Ororo grabbed the envelopes, but Marie wasn’t about to let them”or the subject”go. “What are you doing with those??”

“Answer the Q, ‘Ro. How long have ya had these? Looks like the guy’s been writin’ ya every friggin’ month for the past two damn years”“

“I didn’t mention it,” Ororo yanked the envelopes toward her, “because it’s not important. Come on, Marie. Hand them over.”

Shrugging, the younger sister let the other possess the letters, but she clearly wasn’t done with the topic. As Ororo headed back to replace them in the windbreaker, Marie followed, a darkly humorous twinkle in her eye. “’It’s not Important’..! Hrmph. And don’t think ah didn’t notice none o’ em were opened. Yer not even curious??”

“Absolutely not.” Ororo lied.

“Damn, you can hold a grudge, Sugah.”

“I am not holding a grudge.” ‘Ro roughly crammed them in the jacket, crumpling a few of the envelopes in the process. She turned back to gauge Marie with cool blue eyes. “I’d have to actually still give a shit, first.”

Crossing her arms tightly, Marie looked at her sister hard. She knew when Ororo started using swear words that she was at least slightly rumpled. “Ya know, Dad invited His Father over tonight for dinner.”

Picking through for the rest of her toiletries, Ororo nodded nonchalantly. “Of course. I plan on returning those letters through Him.”

“Oh, don’t bother…” Ororo’s hands froze, as Marie’s chipper tone continued, “Your former Prince Charming is comin’ too.”


About 4 miles away, farther down the beach…
The big black and silver-accented Crown Victoria was parked at an odd angle in front of the large beach house. The man in the driver’s seat drummed his fingers methodically, and every 90 seconds or so checked his watch. ‘It shouldn’t be taking this long…’

As the man shifted in his car seat uncomfortably, a single figure stood outside the darkened house’s back door, which faced the pristine Southampton beach. Clutching the thick wad of folded legal brief in one hand, the woman raised her fist again and rapped on the door, much harder than the first dozen times. After still receiving no answer, she grimaced, then quickly looked around herself, ensuring no one was watching, and brought her free hand up to her temple, concentrating. In the few moments of silence, the breeze blowing off the ocean waved her shoulder-length fiery red locks, then allowed them to come to rest over the carefully pressed lapels of her suit jacket. It was enough time to discern what she’d needed to know, and with only another half second’s pause, she dug her key ring out of her pocket, and sifted through the dozen or so keys on it before she found the one she sought. *Alright, then, if you’re going to make things difficult, so be it.* She broadcast her thoughts, as she opened the door and stepped inside the small rear foyer between the back porch and kitchen.

As she came into the kitchen, she noticed the lights were all out, and the late afternoon shadows cast an even more unsettling feeling around the seemingly quiet abode. With saddened yet determined eyes, she looked around at the squalor her ex-husband was living in; dirty dishes at least a couple weeks old littered the sinks and counters, smelling horribly; the cabinets and drawers had mostly all been pulled out and emptied of their contents, and all kinds of trash littered the floor, making it all but impossible to take two consecutive steps without hitting something. All at once she was unsure whether or not she wanted to see the rest of the once-beautiful summer home she’d been so glad to retreat to. The kitchen alone looked like a war zone, so she could only imagine what the rest looked like.

Pausing by the island counter in the middle of the formerly impressive kitchen, she carefully picked up the jagged remains of a glass picture frame. As she lifted it up and turned it toward her face, pieces of glass tinkled to the floor at her feet, where she didn’t notice the slashed remains of other photographs. Her lovely green eyes widened as she recognized the photo. Even though it had suffered through quite a beating (and maybe even a little fire?) she could still make out her own face smiling back at her, as she held onto her ex-husband and the giggling little ball of energy between them.

Ohh…Logan…

She fought the tightness in her throat at seeing the image, and carefully laid the battered picture and frame on the cluttered counter. For a long moment, she just stood there, as a gamut of emotions fueled by memories washed over her. As she closed her eyes, she could almost hear the childish laughter and squeals of joy that had filled the house not so long ago, before everything went so totally wrong. It was these memories of an innocent, beautiful young life that kept her going at times. She refused to let them sadden her; it wouldn’t be right to Amahra’s memory. If only Logan could feel the same way…

Taking a heavy breath, she opened her eyes.

“What’re you doin’ in here?”

She gasped, despite herself, and wondered how he’d managed to creep so silently into the messy room. That thought was quickly forgotten, however, as she peered closely at her ex. His physical appearance matched that of the room they stood in, his usually already wild hair reaching new and disturbing levels of disorder and appearing as though it hadn’t seen soap and water in a while. The grungy (off) white tank-tee he wore was tattered and beaten as the man himself. He’d had to tighten the drawstring on the dark charcoal sweatpants, but they were still sort of slack on his narrow hips, which told her despite the mess of the kitchen, he hadn’t eaten properly in some time. She saw all this in a matter of moments, but kept her gaze from meeting his.
“Logan, this pl”“

I said, What’re you doin’ in here??” His voice was an even tone, and only she would know to have fear of it.

Forcing herself to swallow (damn, her throat was dry) she reached for the picture again, but her delicate fingers halted abruptly when she heard the low growl from across the room. Still refusing to meet his eyes, she hesitated, then reached for the papers she’d brought instead, which were tucked underneath her other arm. “I, uh, came to give you this. I didn’t see the point in subjecting anymore paralegals to your abuse, so I came myself.”

His strained, wild eyes locked on the blue-backed legal document she held out, then up at her face, which was still turned away. “What’s that?” He gritted out roughly between clenched teeth.

Still holding her arm out, she said, “This, Logan, is It. The End. You can stay here and self-destruct in this dilapidated house for as long as you want; I just can’t stand by and watch any longer. I won’t.”

When he still refused to take the papers, she lightly tossed it between them on the counter. His stormy grey eyes twitched between her and those papers, as she looked anywhere but at him. “So, that’s it, eh Doc? Couldn’t “fix” me, so yer givin’ up fer good, just like that?”

She stared at him, wide eyed, and truly thought he’d lost his mind. “I guess you’ve conveniently forgotten about the past eight years, Logan, and that you’ve wanted an end to This just as long as I have. Not to mention the fact that I’ve been the only”“ She stopped, realizing this argument was exactly what he wanted, and took a calming breath before she changed her tactics. “You know what? I’m not doing this again. I’ve come to accept my role in all this; I suggest you do the same, so you can begin to move on.”

Move on??” His tone was suddenly caustic and she was sure if he could’ve burned her with it, he would have. The anger behind his words would’ve struck her like a physical blow, if she hadn’t already had a few psi-shields erected.

Thinking to dissipate his quickly escalating rage, she began to turn, to reason with him, when she noticed out of the corner of her eye that his posture had changed drastically. “L-Logan”“

She began backing away, back toward the way she’d come, and he quickly advanced on her, roughly over-turning chairs and boxes in his path. “Move ON?! MOVE ON?!!

She realized she had backed out of the kitchen to the foyer, when her back struck the wall next to the door, and before she could turn toward it, with the door opened just barely, he was there, slamming it back against the frame so hard she thought it would bend back through.

“How The Hell Am I Supposed To Do That??!! Huh?!!” His alcohol-stained breath blew her hair away from her face as he screamed at her.

She grimaced, closing her eyes tightly through the tirade. She didn’t want to have to hurt him, but if Logan didn’t calm himself”or at the least give her a couple of feet of personal space”she’d be forced to defend herself. “Logan, calm down--!”

“Well?? What’s the answer, Doctor Grey?! You thought you were so damned smart to “fix” what was “wrong” with me”“

“STOP it!” She turned her face to him, for the first time meeting his gaze. Her heart was immediately crushed, as she recognized those pain-filled silver eyes that had always reminded her so much of their daughter. “Logan…!Stop…just stop...!”

He watched her slowly slide down to the floor, tears coursing down her cheeks. Even then, he could feel nothing but rage, contempt, and distrust. Backing a step away, he continued to breathe shallowly as he seethed with hatred. He knew deep (deep, deep) down that it couldn’t be her he hated. True, their marriage had effectively been over long before Amahra got sick that last time, but even then he’d willingly agreed to stay together, as their only child fought for every breath she took, slowly dying…killed by her own father…

“Jean…” His voice was barely above a whisper as he fixed his gaze on her once more. “Just leave. Just…”

She choked back her tears, as silence reigned between them. Standing on unsteady legs, she hesitated a moment, looking at his defeated posture.

He didn’t look at her as she fumbled with her coat, then his eyes fluttered closed when he heard the soft clink of her house key hit the table before she turned and disappeared. As the silence came again, he sighed, looking at the island counter. Dismissively he flipped open the legal, and nodded, not surprised at all. That made sense, why all those little pencil-necked jerk-offs had kept coming by all those months, insisting he open the door. Logan wasn't ashamed to admit he’d taken some perverse pleasure in scaring the daylights out of them, and was exceptionally…proud?...when one of them”most likely a newbie, poor kid”had literally pissed himself at the sight of six adamantium-laced claws before his bifocals.

Even that was but a small consolation to the black, smothering feeling that seemingly occupied his every waking moment. With a heavy sigh, he tossed the official document terminating his marriage over his shoulder to land on the floor with the rest of his shattered life, and left the room.


Out at the Road, Jean hurried back to the car waiting for her, and slide inside, rubbing at her bleary eyes. As she buckled herself in, the man beside her leaned forward, catching a glimpse of her agitated state. “Jean? What happened?? Are you alright?”

“I’m fine”“

“That bastard didn’t hurt you, did he?? I swear”“

I said I’m fine!” She snapped, more harshly than intended, then said softly, “Please, Warren, just drive.”

He clamped his mouth shut, and put the car in gear, pulling away from the curb. Beside him, Jean leaned into the door of the car, her red-rimmed eyes staring hard at the rear view mirror’s reflection of the quickly retreating beach house. She couldn’t help but think she was abandoning the man she’d once sworn vows to, and in his deepest hour of need.

“Come on, Jean,” Warren grasped her hand tightly, and
as if reading her mind continued, “You can’t help someone who doesn’t want it.”

“I know.” Was all she said quietly, not sure if she believed it even as the words escaped her lips. Swallowing a sob, she sighed deeply, thinking, ‘God help him, I know.’



TBC in Chapter 2, “Always Something There to Remind Me”, Part 2

Spoiler: Next Chap., We finally get to meet ‘Ro’s mystery man from the Past! (And what’s up w/ Xavier??)
Always Something There to Remind Me, pt.2 by Echo
Series: Seasons Change (vol.1)

Category: AU

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters that may or may not pop up in the course of this fic. There are several original characters introduced for the sake of the story, which are of my own creation, whose identities will be obviously apparent from trademarked entities belonging to Marvel. No offense is intended by the use of Marvel properties, and no $$ gleaned from this story. Just havin' some fun.

Feedback: Please, and thank you

Dedication: To Jasmine33 and NemesisBecoming (You guys know why)


A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #2, "Always Something There to Remind Me", pt. 2

Southamptons Beach, Long Isl. NY
June 11th, 2004


Helena Duvahl waddled through the front foyer to the door, wiping her hands on her apron quickly before reaching out for the knob. “Good evening, Sir; please, come in.”

She stepped aside with a wide sweep of her hand, and the man nodded, stepping over the threshold. As he passed her, he removed his cap, and came to a stop a few feet inside the foyer. “Thank you, Helena. Are Charles and Erik about?”

She nodded, beginning to close the door, but a strong hand reached out from the other side, clasping its fingers around the door frame. Helena gasped quietly, turning back to the door. “Oh! Excuse me, Sir.”

The first man smiled to dissipate her embarrassment, and then turned to the younger man as he also removed his military-issue cap upon entering. “Ah, don’t worry about the lad, Helena. He’s quite alright, aren’t you Son?”

The younger man smiled down at Helena, giving her one of his most dashing grins before he unconsciously adjusted his AF suit beneath the dark trench coat that matched his father’s. “Aye, Sir.”

“Of course…May I take your coats?” She reached out as the older of the two gentlemen shrugged out of his.

The younger one waved a hand negatively. “No, thanks, Helena. I’m fine for now…”

“Mmm! Dinner smells lovely Helena.” The father turned his dazzling smile toward the woman, winking. “Watch it, or you’ll find yourself having to keep me out of those pots.”

The older woman smiled, chuckling like a school girl as she led the way toward the beachside patio, where most of the other guests had already gathered for cocktails. “Yes, Sir, Lt. General, sir..! Please, this way.”

As the distinguished AF officer tucked his cap in the crook of his arm and followed Helena, shamelessly flirting with the elderly woman, his son stepped behind them, but stopped as they were about to pass the wide staircase in the main foyer. Memories from years passed flooded his mind, as he recalled the summers he’d spent here, playing tag with a certain white-haired little playmate…

“Son? Are you coming?”

The young man snapped to attention, looking around to realize he’d slowed to a stop at the base of the double staircase. Although his feet almost carried him up to the steps, he willed himself to continue out onto the patio. “Right behind you, Dad…”


Upstairs, on the top floor…

Marie sat down in the vanity’s chair, trying with all her might not to mess the whimsically carefree hairdo ‘Ro had fashioned for her just minutes ago. Dressed down in a stark-white, long-sleeved cotton shirt opened at the neck and a straight-hemmed cargo skirt that reached her ankles (but with a drastic split on the right side), she was too cute for words. Every once in a while she’d admire herself in the mirror, only half listening to the full-blown panic of her older sister.

‘Ro moved around the spacious room like a whirlwind, half the time going nowhere in particular. Behind her, Elizabeth Braddock tried to keep up in her dark blue denim skort and twist-tie matching shirt, as she struggled to lace up the back of Ororo’s sundress. The 3 sisters were late to their own father’s party, having gone on a little too long in the “catching up” department. Normally, ‘Ro wouldn’t care at all to be “fashionably” late to such an informal occasion, and it didn’t take a telepath like Beth to figure there was more going on behind those sparkling blue eyes than their tardiness.

“’Beth, I can’t find my sandals. You know, the Via Spiga’s? Do you see my sandals? I know I brought them up here…”

With an exasperated sigh, the England native stopped in the middle of the room, watching ‘Ro hurry around with her dress still half-tied, her hair a royal mess and loose, and barefoot. She and Marie exchanged knowing glances before they cornered ‘Ro, forcing her to sit.

*Geez, all this an’ she doesn’t care if she ever sees the guy again??* Marie let her thoughts float over to Beth.

“I can hear that.” ‘Ro snapped, obeying as they forced her down into the vanity’s chair.

What??” Marie brought over her sandals as ‘Beth quickly finished lacing the back of the sleeveless sky-blue and white sundress.

“It’s not that I ‘care’, per se.” Ro gathered her long tresses behind her so that Elizabeth could begin the elaborate French braid.

“You just want’tim to know what ‘es missing, luv.” Beth finished for her, as a statement, not a question.

Marie leaned against the vanity’s mirror, watching Ro’s face carefully. “Sugah, you’ll be fine. Just take a deep breath, an’ remember, you’re here t’have a good time.”

As Beth finished her hair and ‘Ro leaned forward to insert a pair of gold earrings resembling little bolts of lightning, she looked at her sisters’ reflections in the mirror as they stood behind her chair. Smiling at them both, she felt immediately comforted. “Thanks.”

When the 3 dazzling Xavier sisters had finally gotten themselves ready, they stood at the door to Ro’s room, all of them slightly giddy with the excitement the evening promised. Ororo stroked her trademarked thick wisp of loose hair away from her eyes. Closing her hand purse soundly around the thick bundle of letters, she nodded to her sisters. “Well, girls…I guess it’s time to go make an entrance.”



Downstairs, Outside on the Rear Deck…

Soft music drifted out to the chatting guests as they enjoyed the beauty of the approaching sunset and an unending supply of refreshments.

As the guests freely mingled, the difference between Xavier’s adopted children and those who’d only been his pupils at the Institute was not easily distinguished. To a certain extent, they were all family, and as Erik Lehnsherr brought his drink to his lips, he silently applauded his life-long friend on a job well done. Charles had made some costly sacrifices over the years for his ever-increasing family as well as for the Schools and other non-profit organizations he funded. ‘It would be a shame,’ Erik thought, ‘to see all of his work end up for nothing.’

At the sight of Charles rubbing his temples, Erik set his drink down immediately. “Charles, is everything alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“Charles! Erik!”

Lehnsherr looked up then, to meet the jovial gaze of one of his oldest friends. “Christopher. Glad you could make it.”

Charles turned his chair a little, and rolled closer to the two men as they greeted each other. “You’re looking well, Christopher. Or should I call you, General Summers?”

The Lt. General’s smile brought his heavy moustache up over his lip, and as he graciously accepted a shaken martini from the bartender nearby, took a quick sip before answering, “Oh! Not quite yet, I’m afraid. The promotion isn’t official until August.”

Charles smiled back. “Excellent. I hope you’ll be able to return for the Reunion celebration. We’ll have quite a bit to celebrate, then, won’t we?”

Christopher’s dark brown eyes held Charles’ for a long moment, then he set his glass down, the smile gone, as he spoke in hushed tones. “Charles. How are you? Are you doing alright?”

The Prof. smiled, a little wistfully, as he caught sight of his son Henry and former student Robert Drake joking around next to the hors d’oeuvres table. For a moment he didn’t say anything, evidently choosing his next words carefully. “Chris, I’m happy to be here for this. I have my friends and family so close…What man could not be joyous at a time like this?”

The Lt. General laid a hand on Charles’ shoulder, speaking quietly, “That’s good, Charles, that’s good. And how are the kids taking It?”

Erik took a step closer, addressing Christopher. “Most of them know of Charles’ illness, and they’ve all agreed to do whatever they can to help and support him.”

The Lt. General’s dusky eyebrows came up slowly, as he looked down at Charles again. “’Most’ of them know?? Charles, who haven’t you told about y”“

“Hey ya’ll! Let the party begin!”


Heads turned toward the deck’s door as the 3 Xavier Sisters made an impressive entrance. Marie, the youngest of the three, spread her arms wide as she made her presence known. ‘Beth and ‘Ro, flanking her, let their young sister command the attention of the guests. Elizabeth hid a chuckle behind her fingers while Ororo groaned beneath her breath, looking just slightly uncomfortable.

Greetings were exchanged, as the women joined their brothers Henry, Kurt, Lucas and Brian along with the rest of the Xavier Institute grads.

Mein Gott, Ororo, you’re looking good!” Kurt bowed dramatically before his sister, who he hadn’t seen in some time, and for his compliment received a peck on the cheek.

Vielen Dank Bruder,” she replied in near-flawless German.

“Took you guys long enough, didn’t it?” Bobby chided, and received a ‘playful’ swat from Marie. The others laughed merrily as they continued to snack, conversations resuming around the typical subjects of politics, entertainment, and who’s-with-whom these days.

Caught up in the conversations around her, Ororo didn’t notice the two figures sitting away from the group, one of them all but hidden by one of the large deck canopies that shaded the table. He sat back languidly, stirring a rum n’ Coke that he hadn’t sipped from since he’d gotten it, and doing his level best to appear interested in the mundane conversation Peter Rasputin was trying to interest him in.

As the elegant young woman gracefully accepted compliments from her siblings and friends, floating from group to group like the perfect hostess her father taught her to be, he watched; the approaching evening’s cool breeze lifted the single wisp of loose hair she allowed, caressing the curl out of the end only to wave it back after the wind had left her. The sleeveless sundress was quite flattering to her slim but curvy figure, and as she suddenly raised her right hand to cover a laugh, he smiled behind his red-tinted glasses, catching a glimpse of the tribal tattoo on her upper arm. He remembered the day she’d gotten it, in some rebellious teenage hope that it was going to upset Charles. They’d both been shocked and surprised when Ororo’s dad had rolled up his sleeve to show them the only slightly faded tatt on his bicep; a spur-of-the-moment decision during his National Guard Reserve days…

“’Cuse me, Pete.”

The young Russian trailed off in mid sentence as his comrade abandoned both his drink and their conversation. As Peter noticed the soldier’s beeline for Ororo, he smiled with a sort of sad and helpless expression. [Here we go...]*

Marie caught sight of him before ‘Ro, but was too far away to alert her sister verbally without causing a scene. Quickly, she closed her eyes tightly, grasping Beth’s uncovered wrist for the split second it took to telepathically send the message. *Jerk at 3 o’clock!*

Even as Ororo heard the echoed call reverberate from Marie through ‘Beth, she felt a presence close to her back, and turned her head slightly, but not enough to look him in his ruby-quartz tinted eyes.

“Hello there, Ororo.”

Her stomach flipped at his low, purposeful greeting, but she refused even a smile. Turning fully to gaze up at him, she nodded politely replying, “Hello, Scott.”

Across the patio, Lt. General Christopher Summers nodded appreciatively toward his son and Xavier’s daughter. “Charles, I must say, you’ve raised a fine daughter there. Ororo’s become quite the young woman.”

“Thank you, Christopher…” Charles smiled tightly, trying not to show his deliberate attempt to rebuff the waves of emotions and psychic ‘cold shoulder’ rolling off of his daughter.

Opposite the three older gents, Marie and Elizabeth leaned against the wall, sipping their drinks but completely shameless in watching what they both hoped would be Scott Summers making a complete ass of himself.

*Oh, just look at him…! All smug an’ shit…like she came back here f’his ass.* Marie sniffed, using her sister’s close physical proximity to telepathically convey her thoughts.

Elizabeth shook her head as Scott stepped a little closer to Ororo, displaying his genetic, trademarked dazzling smile. *Can ye really blame th’ bloke for trying, Marie? Scott knows he fück’d up.*

The southern sister huffed, picking up her third drink. *Damned straight, he did. Ah just hope ‘Ro sticks to her guns, an’ tells ‘im where he can stick it.*

Despite being in the middle of the moment she’d feared would come since the beginning of summer, Ororo wasn’t so much aware of Scott laying on his charm as she was the subtle”and not so subtle, as she caught sight of Marie burning holes in his back”attention they were getting from some of the others. Unfortunately, she knew, the on-again-off-again, troubled ‘relationship’ between her and one of the AF’s most decorated pilots was hardly a secret anymore. It seemed pretty much everyone from her brothers and sisters to her former classmates had gotten wind of what had (and hadn’t) happened between the two.

As Ororo took note of the noticeably quieter conversations around them, she had to admit even her father had probably heard rumors about it.

“Is that all you have to say to me, ‘Ro? We haven’t seen each other in almost three years, and that’s it?” Scott seemed to think her cool demeanor was humorous.

The playful twinkle behind those shades only raised her ire, but Ororo was determined not to let it show. She knew a thing or two, after all, about suppressing emotions. Finally smiling graciously, she replied, “I’m sorry, Scott, of course. How’s the Air Force? I hear your dad’s getting promoted to full General.”

His own smile faltered just barely, as she did a marvelous job of switching the subject off of them. Pausing before answering, Scott couldn’t tell if she was just being polite or if there was something more sinister going on behind those startling blue eyes. Playing along for a moment, he came back, “Yeah, yeah…Can you believe it? A full General. Of course, you would’ve known that, if you’d responded to any of my letters”“

“Oh! And look at you! A Captain now. When did that happen? I’m sure your father must be so proud. Have you told my dad yet? I’m sure he’d love to hear about it.”

“Ororo…” he took her by the elbow gently, a determined look in his eyes. “Enough of this. We need to talk.”

“I’m sorry, Captain. Isn’t that what we’re doing?”

“You know what I m”“

“Everyone, if you’ll please; dinner will be served momentarily in the dining hall.” Helena stood at the threshold to the deck, smiling pleasantly.

“Great, Grub!” Bobby nearly bounced toward the door; evidently the alcohol and hors d’oeuvres hadn’t done a thing for his appetite.

His excitement elicited several chuckles, and as they all headed toward the interior of the house and to the dining hall Marie and Elizabeth suddenly appeared by Ro’s sides, taking each of her arms. Scott was forced to take a step back or come in skin-to-skin contact with Marie, who seemed to have intentionally taken off her glove and rolled her long-sleeved shirt up on the arm now closest to him.

Grabbing Ro’s purse, the young saucy southerner casually flipped it open, and as they departed, shoved the bundle of unopened letters at Scott’s chest. Dragging her shocked sister away, Marie called behind her, “Ah think those are yers.”

Stunned for a few moments, Scott Summers stood there on the dim patio deck, holding the package in his hands. Unbothered, he casually placed them on the inside coat pocket of his uniform, and with a slight grin, headed inside. If Marie thought she was gonna get rid of him that easily, she and her elusive sister had another thing coming.



At That Moment, 4 mi. Down the Beach at What Used to be the Howlett Estate…

The quieted beach house was painted with the strong shadows and colors of Sunset, as Col. Howlett moved among the rooms like a specter. He still didn’t seem to notice or care about the mess around him, as he walked from room to room as if searching for something.

Downstairs, he combed over the two family rooms, numbly sifting through the old toys and books scattered”broken”all around the room. After a few minutes search and he was satisfied what he sought was not there, he moved to the living room, the 3 downstairs guest rooms, and so on and on…

His weary yet acute gaze fell over every crack and crevice, until he finally found himself outside one of the upstairs bedrooms. It was the only door of the house that had remained unopened for the 6 months he’d stationed himself here.

It was only now that he hesitated. He now knew without doubt what he sought had to be in that room, so why couldn’t he just open the damned door and get it?? ‘What the Hell’s the matter wit’ you?’ He berated himself, and it was enough to get his legs to take one step closer, his hand lifted to the cool metal of the door knob.

But that was as far as he would get.

An abrupt, chilled sensation skittered down his spine, and a peculiar tightness erupted in his chest. The rapid heartbeat that followed was enough to make him stumble back a step. Holding his trembling palms before him, Logan peered at them with puzzlement mixed generously with irritation.

Angrily, he grabbed the doorknob again, but when the feeling returned ten-fold, sending pulsing beats of pain coursing through his temples, he gave up with an irritated growl, and stormed down the stairs. Upon reaching the ground floor, he took one quick, sweeping glare around the house before he burst out of the back porch door, and headed down the slight incline toward the beach…



Back at the Xavier Estate…

While the rest of his guests were seating themselves and engaging in light, playful banter, Charles Xavier quickly and quietly allowed Erik to push him into his downstairs study, where the formidable Master of Magnetism closed the door soundly behind them.

“Charles, are you alright? It looks worse this time.” He half-turned to regard his friend with worried eyes as he sifted through Charles’ desk, pulling out small orange containers marked with Rx.

Xavier nodded just briefly, wiping his brow with a kerchief despite the fact it was a cool 67 degrees out. “I’ll be fine, Erik. Please, let’s get back before my absence is noticeable…”

Erik lined up the eight prescriptions and a syringe with a clear glass bottle of liquid on the edge of the desk, and grabbed the first container of pills to pop open. “Alright.”



In the Dining Hall, Ororo shifted uncomfortably in her chair under Scott’s visual scrutiny, as he’d placed himself directly across from her at the long table. Even with his ruby-quartz shades, she could always feel his attentiveness, and tonight, of all nights, it became unbearably smothering.


“Excuse me…” she muttered, pushing her seat back (and almost colliding with one of the servers) from the table.

“Ro? Where’re ya goin, Sugah?” Marie looked up at her with concern.

“I’ll be right back. Tell dad to start dinner without me.”

“Ro”“

“Marie, I’m fine. Trust me. I’ll be right back.” Quickly she escaped before the belle could get it in her head to come rushing after her. Ororo was more than equally assured when Scott stayed planted in his seat, although his eyes latched onto her until she disappeared around a corner.

Once she was sure no eyes could follow, ‘Ro let out a deep breath, and headed for one of the downstairs bathrooms to freshen up. Right then a good splash of water to the face sounded heavenly to her.

After that was taken care of, she headed back toward the dining room, but paused when she heard muffled noises from Charles’ study. Ororo would’ve passed on by without another thought had she not then heard what sounded like groans and someone choking on something.

Alarmed, she came back to the door, listened for a second more, and when the noises intensified briefly, she knocked, calling softly, “Dad? Is that you? Are you alright? Do you need help?”

“No, Ororo, we’re fine.” Erik’s voice called out from the other side, sounding distant.

She hesitated at his uncertain voice, then bit back what she was about to ask as she heard Charles’ voice, low and obviously full of pain. It was too muffled to discern words, but it was enough to thoroughly frighten her. “Dad?? Erik, I’m coming in…”

Ororo’s fingers gripped the doorknob, trying to open it, but it didn’t budge. She could tell it wasn’t locked since the knob actually turned, and the wooden part of the mahogany entrance wished to fold in, but went nowhere. As she shook the handle, she noticed the metal hinges on the door trembling just slightly, and she understood why the door wouldn’t open. “Erik? What are you doing??”

Inside, he kept an eye on the door as he quickly tied a rubber tourniquet around Charles’ upper arm. “Charles, don’t. It would be better to just let her stay outside…”

A loud series of knocks came at the door, and Xavier lifted his bleary eyes for a moment, uncertain. “Erik, how much longer do you think I can keep hiding…this?” he weakly waved a hand toward the bottles of medication, the syringe in Erik’s hand, and the plastic-lined wastebasket in his lap.

“Dad??” Ororo’s voice could be heard from the other side of the door, worry and fear strongly exuding from her tone. “Please, dad, are you okay? Why won’t you let me in?”

Erik turned away from the door and stood between it and Charles to block the Prof’s view of it. “Charles listen to me. Do you really want Ororo to find out like this?”

“Erik?? Please, just let me see he’s okay. Please?”

Charles’ head hung low, and he closed his tired eyes at the unmistakable sound of panic in her voice. When he looked back up at Erik, his friend could tell he’d made up his mind. “Open the door, Magnus.”

On the other side, Ororo leaned against the door, trying to get her heart to stop beating so hard. A motion behind the heavy door alerted her, and she stood straight as Erik appeared behind the now opened door. “Erik?” She questioned shakily, but he only pulled her inside and closed the door quickly.

Ororo stood rooted in place as she saw her father sitting near his desk, his usually bright and loving face now a pale, deathly pallor, and his hands visibly trembling as he cradled the wastebasket in his lap. “Dad? What’s wrong?? Do you need me to get Hank?”

Charles slowly shook his head, then motioned Erik closer. As Lehnsherr continued loading the syringe with the clear liquid, Ororo gasped at the sight of the bottles of medicine. When Charles weakly beckoned her over, she came without delay, kneeling beside his wheelchair and taking one of his clammy hands in hers. He tried to smile, but the effort seemed too much. “It’s alright, Ororo…Just…give me a-a moment.”

“I-I don’t understand…What’s happening to you?? What is all this?” She was confused, and afraid, and her eyes began to hurt with the onset of tears, but she blinked them back, trying to regain some calm.

Charles squeezed her hand, about to say something, but his lips went pale, and instead he lowered his head to the wastebasket. His thin body jerked with the effort, but only bile slid from his lips. After a couple more dry heaves, he nodded to Erik, who wiped his exposed arm with an alcohol-damp napkin, and stuck the long needle of the syringe in the bluish vein popping out of the inside of Charles’ elbow.

For a couple minutes, the trio sat there in silence, and as Ororo watched, she could visibly see her father’s natural color returning, the tremble leave his lips and fingers, and the glassy film lift from his eyes. Erik stood from where he’d been leaning against the edge of the wide, oak wood desk, and began cleaning up, replacing the medication Rx bottles and disposing of the used syringe.

Almost his normal self, Charles turned to look at ‘Ro, a genuine if not weak smile on his face. “I’m sorry, Ororo. These things happen when I don’t take my medication on time. It’s not as bad as it looks, though.”

Erik’s eyes lifted momentarily and he stared hard at Charles, but he kept quiet, continuing his clean up.

“Dad, what’s wrong? Why’re you taking so much medicine?” Ororo’s voice told Charles she was unconsciously steeling herself against bad news. He reached out and caressed her cheek, preparing his words carefully. He still wasn’t sure this was the best thing to do, but he couldn’t keep her in the dark any longer. “Ororo, I…”

“Dad. Please…you can tell me.”

Xavier licked his lips, then smiled grimly at his strong little girl. “I have The ‘Legacy’ Virus.”

Ororo blinked for about 30 seconds, then her brows furrowed, as if she didn’t understand what he’d just said. “W-What? You”You”“

“Henry diagnosed me; Moira confirmed it.”

“When..? How??”

Charles held her shaking fingers tightly, looking deeply into her eyes. “We’re not certain…Hank thinks as long as five years ago. We just caught it last March.”

Erik stood with his back to them, gazing forlornly out of the window behind the desk. As he watched the sun’s light slowly disappearing behind the horizon, a distant flash of lightning caught his attention from the west…

“W-Wait, you…you’ve known for over a year, and you haven’t said anything to us?? Why?” She looked at him in disbelief.

Sensing the increase of electromagnetic activity in her brain, he nonetheless continued, “Kurt, Brian, Lucas, Elizabeth; Hank, of course…They all know.”

What??” Ororo pulled her hand away from him, the feeling of betrayal slowly creeping onto her face. “T-They know??”

Charles nodded, not oblivious to her mood change. There was no turning back now, however. He just hoped she’d come to understand why he did what he did. “Marie is still in school, and you”“

“You chose not to tell me?” Ro’s eyes narrowed, as she alternated her glare between him and a quiet Erik, who remained wordless at the window.

“For your own well-being, Ororo. Besides, this isn’t the sort of thing that’s easy for a father to have to tell his children”“

“You didn’t have much trouble telling the others. ‘I’m dying’. See? Two little words. Simple.” She stood abruptly, and a low rumble of thunder shook the walls.

“Don’t take that tone with him, Ororo.” Erik fixed her with an icy stare, as he half turned from the window. “You want to know why you’re the last to know? Take a look outside.”

“Erik, please…” Charles kept his voice low; he knew her words were borne more out of the sense of helplessness and abandonment that his daughter had struggled with all her life. It still hurt, but he could deal with her anger, as long as she understood.

Ignoring the rain that was now pelting the darkened window, she turned on Erik, her brow raised. “Oh. Now it’s my fault? Is that it, Erik? My father just”just told me he has a fatal disease, and, and”“

“Ororo wait”“ Charles reached out to her but she stepped away from him, shaking.

“No!”And”I mean, how the hell did you think I’d take it?? I mean, for god’s sake, TLV is incurable!

“Ororo, please…I didn’t want you to find out like this.” Charles set the wastebasket down on the floor, turning his chair as she backed away toward the door.

But Ororo was already shaking her head, not listening. Angry at the tears that fought their way down her cheeks, angry at Charles and Erik for keeping something so important from her for so long, and for such a reason (logical as it may have seemed). Most of all, angry at herself for wanting to just lay her head down and cry in her father’s lap, and for feeling like the five year old girl orphaned in Cairo…

“Dad?? Ororo? Are you in there?” Hank’s voice could be heard over his knocks at the door. “It’s getting rather violent outside, is everything alright?”

‘Ro stood there, her eyes locked with Charles’. Slowly she shook her head, as he tried to reach out to her via their telepathic link, but she wasn’t having it. *Ororo, please…*

The static jumping around in her mind was enough of a natural buffer, she didn’t have to try to erect shields to keep him out. “I”I have to get out of here..!” Turning suddenly, she swung the door open, pushing past the group of guests that had gathered out in the hall.

“Ro?!” Henry called after her.

“Let me through!” She cried out angrily, shoving past the surprised faces.

“Sugah, what’s wrong??” Marie started after her, but Ro didn’t respond, hurrying down the hall.

“Ororo, wait!” Scott caught her by the arm, but she twisted out of his grip, continuing at a run toward the door.

“No; let her go.” All eyes turned to Charles, who’d wheeled through the doorway, his weary eyes pained. He took several deep breathes before repeating, “For now, just let her go.”



The Moment Ororo Hit the Porch, she was bombarded by the icy cold, pelting rain of her own making. She stumbled in the wet sand of the beach, as she strove to put as much distance as possible between herself and that House.

The intensity of the storm around her increased, as the pelting rain mixed with her salty tears. She left her expensive Via Spiga’s somewhere behind her, and as the 35 mph wind increased in strength, the delicate hairdo ‘Beth had fashioned was abused as well, until her hair whipped around her in long, free tendrils, as wild as the torrent surrounding her.

After a few moments of running, she called a powerful gust of wind behind her, and it pushed her up off the ground and into the sky, leaving the twinkling lights of the Xavier Estate behind.



(*) Translated from Russian


TBC in Chapter 3, “First Impressions”,pt.1
Spoiler: Ro & Lo meet for the first time! (sort of...)
First Impressions, pt. 1 by Echo
Series: Seasons Change (vol.1)

Category: AU

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters that may or may not pop up in the course of this fic. There are several original characters introduced for the sake of the story, which are of my own creation, whose identities will be obviously apparent from trademarked entities belonging to Marvel. No offense is intended by the use of Marvel properties, and no $$ gleaned from this story. Just havin' some fun.

Feedback: Please, and thank you

Dedication: To Jasmine33 and NemesisBecoming (You guys know why)


A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #3, "First Impressions", pt. 1


Southamptons, Long Isl. NY
June 12th, 2004
5:59 a.m…


Her weary legs had been glad to finally get some rest. After walking more than half the night, Ororo found herself sitting outside a quaint little coffee shop on North Sea Road, some six miles or so away from the Xavier Estate.

So deep was she submerged in her thoughts, for the first 30 minutes she didn’t seem to notice the curious looks from the few passersby on the quiet, exclusive part of the street. It was only after a young man jogging tripped over his own feet while repeatedly gawking at her, that she came out of her daydream.

Self-consciously, she looked down at herself, and groaned, feeling her face flush and tingle in embarrassment. The lovely sundress she’d bought just for this summer was nearly in rags”ruined”tattered beyond belief from the tempest the night before. Her legs were covered in sparkling beach sand (now dried, at least) all the way up to her calves, and as she carefully lifted her fingers above her eye level, could just tell her hair was in the same boat as the rest of her.

‘Goodness, I’m sure I am a sight!’ She thought, attempting to smooth her hair and dust the sand from her body, but only succeeding in making her appearance worse (if that was possible).

After a few fruitless moments she gave up, and decided she didn’t really care, sinking back into her thoughts once more. This gave her time to think; to re-evaluate every decision she’d made (and some that had been made for her) up to that point in her life. There wasn’t much ‘Ro had to be regretful of, but the angry reaction she had toward her father was definitely one thing she wished to take back.

How difficult must it have been, she wondered sadly, to have one’s own mortality so painfully slap you in the face? ‘And then, to have your own child react the way I did…’

It didn’t take too terribly much pondering for her to realize Charles had only acted in what he thought were her best interests. After all, he was her father; legally and in deed. That ‘conversation’ couldn’t have been easy or pleasant for him, either.

“Oh, my goodness, gracious, dear..!”

Ororo started, snapping out of her reverie, as she looked up at the older woman standing before her. “Pardon?”

“Honey, are you alright?? Lord-Jesus, looks like ya got caught in that mess last night.” The lady squinted down at her instead of simply pulling her trifocals down from the top of her carefully-pinned salt-n-peppered hair.

Ororo grinned slightly at the older woman, dressed in her aerobic duds complete with a headband, and gently pulled on the short leash of her energetic Pug, as the friendly canine decided to say hello to the disheveled young woman. Welcoming the dog’s affection with a generous scratch behind his folded ears, she waved away the woman’s concern. “Oh. Yeah…It was quite a storm, wasn’t it? Was anyone injured, have you heard?”

“Francis, stop now..!” The woman chastised her little friend, but hardly seemed to mean it as the cute little mutt turned big brown eyes their way. She smiled pleasantly at Ororo, continuing, “Oh, uhm…Not that ah’ve heard, Dear. There’s been some reports about a couple o’ piers, maybe some o’ those yachts out there; but no people, far as ah know. You’re lucky, yaself, ah might add.”

“Yeah…lucky.” She lowered her eyes, her thoughts elsewhere as the playful, energetic Pug wagged his short, curly tail for another ear scratch.

The displaced southerner sensed the younger woman’s distress, and didn’t want to impose on her any longer. Gently nudging Francis to continue walking, she quickly unzipped the fanny pack around her waist and slid a crisp ten dollar bill on the table beside Ro’s arm.

“Oh, no, please, I”“

“Dear, take it. Get yourself a cup of somethin’ hot, for ya catch yer death; or a cab as far as this’ll take ya. B’sides, it’d make me feel better, you out here alone, an’ all.” The woman’s eyes were soft and kind, but her posture and tone told ‘Ro she wasn’t taking ‘No’ for an answer.

Hesitantly taking the bill and folding it in her palm, ‘Ro smiled up at her would-be benefactor. “Thank you, ma’am. Really…I…”

The woman grinned, waving away Ororo’s genuine acceptance, and as Francis reached the end of his retractable leash’s length, she leaned toward Ororo to whisper quietly, “And ya might wanna get all that beach sand outta ya hair”it’s white as a ghost!

The woman hopped away, as the pugnacious little dog pulled her forward with the leash, leaving a wide-eyed, puzzled Ororo behind her. After several seconds, the school teacher burst out in a fit of uncontrollable laughter.



About 30 minutes later, Ororo was heading back toward the Estate, taking the same route from the night before. In her right hand, she carefully carried a caramel latte and in her left a blueberry scone. She’d been kind of disappointed once the coffee shop opened to discover they didn’t offer many varieties of tea, but she was content with the latte since it was decaf. As she nibbled on the warmed scone (and waited for the latte to cool a bit) her thoughts, of course, went back to the last night. Just the thought of her father in such pain made her eyes well with tears, and more than once Ororo had to stop to wipe them.

‘It’s just not fair…’ she argued, ‘Dad’s done so much in his life to help people…why would something like…’ She looked up then, her brow furrowing before she breathed, “Ah….shit.”

As she walked along the beach her steps suddenly slowed to an abrupt stop, as she saw three massive yachts”2 beached against the surf, with their hulls ruptured, sails torn; and the 3rd turned on its nose, perpendicularly stabbing the shallow ocean floor only about 20 yards out. Slowly continuing to walk, she also noticed the amount of debris around her increase the closer she got to the Estate.

‘Maybe Erik was right.’ She shook her head, disappointed in her own lack of self-control. ‘Look at all of this…destruction. And it’s all yours, ‘Ro. All yours.’

Looking down at her half-eaten scone and still untouched latte, Ororo was suddenly not very hungry. Turning to look toward the street, she winced at the sight of a beach house that appeared to have seen better days. Never occurring to her that the disrepair of its exterior may not have been her doing, Ororo groaned at the sight of the dangerously leaning trees, the seaweed and beach grass now decorating the house’s rear porch as well as the man sitting on the”whoa!

She did the appropriate double-take as she almost passed the house. ‘Waitaminute…’ Coming closer cautiously, she cursed inwardly when her bright eyes confirmed the man’s presence.

He was sitting on the bottom step of the back porch, bare feet buried in sand, his arms resting on his knees as he leaned back, his head tilted to one side against the wooden post of the steps’ railing, which needed at least another coat of paint. His white t-shirt was stained with dried mud from the storm, as were his arms, legs, his face. He actually looked like he’d sustained the entire onslaught, right there on that step.

Ororo stopped about ten feet away from him, hesitating to say anything, as she saw several reeds of seaweed slip off his broad shoulders. He literally looked ship-wrecked.

“Sir? Are you alright?”

He didn’t move or speak, as if she weren’t there or he hadn’t heard her. Ororo took two steps closer, her imagination going wild, thinking maybe he was dead. “S-Sir..?”

Then she saw his eyes blink, very slowly, but his gaze never lifted to hers. As she pondered this, she looked at him closer, and her face contorted with his lack of expression. His eyes, a color close to that of clouds before a deadly thunderstorm, seemed as lifeless as the rest of him; his slouching body, she could tell, was muscular, though with his posture even those taunt tendons seemed too relaxed to the point of useless. He was like a weathered, beaten bronze statue from some ancient culture, silently telling a sad tale of some epic myth of which the actual text had long been lost.

Unsure if she should press, Ororo looked past him back up to the darkened house, where the rear shutters appeared to have been loosened by her torrential downpour. There was still some standing water she could see on the steps behind him, and estimated there may be other parts of the home in worse condition. She didn’t see anyone else about, and so assumed he was alone.

Feeling guilt-ridden and ashamed, she began to back away from him, as if he could somehow tell the ‘damage’ done to his home was her doing. ‘Wait.’ She hesitated, thinking of the kind woman she’d met earlier. Looking down at her hands, ‘Ro made her decision, cautiously coming up to the steps, albeit from the side farthest from where he leaned but within his line of vision. Still he didn’t acknowledge her presence, even when she knelt by him momentarily. Standing and taking a step back, she whispered, “I’m sorry.” Whether he knew what she meant or not, she felt it needed to be said…

When he remained silent, she backed a couple of steps away, and then turned, heading back down to the beach toward Xavier’s Estate. After about 30 ft. or so, she hazarded a look back, but he still sat exactly as before. Sighing heavily, she shrugged, and continued home.



Back on the steps, Logan’s body gradually eased its tensed stance, and as if he’d suddenly awakened from a trance, he blinked several times, and then turned his head, glancing down beside his hip. There beside him was a covered, clear plastic cup of something resembling coffee, but it was topped with whipped cream and drizzled with some kind of candy-looking gunk.

He reached over and picked up the cup, bringing it to his eye level, examining it with a suspicious nose. The strong odor of coffee bean and caramel wafted up to him, and he grunted dismissively. Turning his torso, he looked down the beach, catching a glimpse of a thin brown body, and stark white hair. His eyes narrowed momentarily as his keen sight zeroed in on her. When she turned half way to glance back again, his bloodshot silver eyes widened considerably. ‘I’ll be damned…It can’t be…’



Sometime later, ‘Ro trudged through the beach’s cold sand, watching as her father’s beach house got closer with each step. When she was back on the property, she paused outside the back patio, looking up at the drawn curtains of the 4 floors of rooms. As she surveyed the exterior for possible damage, she noticed one of those windows was now opened. She knew exactly whose room it was, and sighed heavily. ‘Time to grow up, Girl.’

Picking up her sand-covered feet, she headed toward the Estate. Her Home.



TBC in Chapter 4, “First Impressions”, pt. 2

Spoiler: Charles and Ro reminisce; Ro and Lo meet again”for the 1st time…

Also: sorry it's so short, but I needed a good break-point before the next part...:)
First Impressions, pt. 2 by Echo
Series: Seasons Change (vol.1)

Category: AU

Summary: Ororo’s & Charles’ talk leads to a walk down memory lane; Scott and ‘Ro talk; Ororo gets a bright idea that may lead her into trouble…

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters that may or may not pop up in the course of this fic. There are several original characters introduced for the sake of the story, which are of my own creation, whose identities will be obviously apparent from trademarked entities belonging to Marvel. No offense is intended by the use of Marvel properties, and no $$ gleaned from this story. Just havin' some fun.

Feedback: Please, and thank you. If you have a comment on the pace of the fic or any other aspect, please let me know. I think I’m doing alright, but then, I know how this all ends, so that hardly seems fair. Just let me know if I’m keeping your collective attentions:)

Dedication: To Jasmine33 and NemesisBecoming (You guys know why)


A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #4, "First Impressions ", pt. 2


Southampton beach
Xavier Estate
7:40 a.m…


Charles twisted the caps back onto his Rx bottles, having already taken the dosages out of each. Inwardly he was glad to have to endure the painful shot only once a day, although lately his system seemed to be acclimating to the powerful narcotic…

Grimacing, he shook away that thought, and palmed the first 3 pills of a total of 9. Reaching for his glass of water, he popped the medication into his mouth, and chased them with a large gulp.

“Dad? Are you up yet?” Came the deep, slightly sleepy call through the bedroom door.

As Charles reached for the next series of pills, he glanced toward the door. *Come in, Henry.*

Slowly the door opened, and Hank’s blue-furred head popped in first, a grin on his face. “Ah, good. You’re already beginning the day’s regime. I’ll just be a moment or two to take your vitals.”

Charles crossed his arms over the thick comforter covering his body, managing to look years younger as he gave his son the closest thing he could manage to a pout. “Henry, I told you last night, I am fine. I simply cannot waiver on the designated times to take the medicine.”

As Hank opened the door wider, he ignored his father’s excuses as well as his surprised expression upon seeing the various medical instruments Hank had not-so-coyly crammed into his lab coat’s pockets. “All the same, dad, just humor me then, alright? Let me perform a few tests…”

“And just what do you think you are going to do with all of those??” Charles raised a skeptical brow at Hank’s fat pockets.

Henry reached the bed, and leaned over to help his father sit up. “Oh, nothing…”

“Nothing, indeed…” Charles scoffed (sort of) playfully, as his muscular son easily lifted him off the bed and into the wheelchair waiting by the bedside. “If you think for one moment to try testing some of those gadgets of yours on me, Henry Peter McCoy, we may have a problem.”

Dark blue eyes twinkled as the young doctor tried not to chuckle at the thinly-veiled ‘threat’. It was a very familiar song and dance he and Charles engaged in; since Hank had become his son Charles had done nothing but continually encourage the boy’s inquisitive mind and obsession with inventions. Charles just didn’t want to be the lab rat for Hank’s next “uniquely adventurous discovery”.

“Fair enough.” Hank patted his dad’s right arm, and Charles unbuttoned the end of his pajama sleeve, rolling it up above the elbow. “I shall have to be content with a BP check then, I suppose.”

“Thank you, Henry.”

For now.”

Charles let that pass, as he knew sooner or later (probably later that day) he’d have to succumb to Hank’s prodding, and go in for more tests. Logically, rationally, the Professor knew that staying one step ahead of the disease was the best option available right then to give him more time…However, at that moment, Hank couldn’t blame him for wanting to continue to live on in ignorance for a little while longer.

Knock. Knock. “May I come in?”

Charles couldn’t see over Henry’s broad shoulder, but then, he didn’t really need to. “Of course, Ororo.”

As Hank finished taking their dad’s blood pressure, he stood and quietly excused himself, squeezing Ro’s shoulder in greeting and goodbye. Closing the door with him, he whispered, “I’ll be back later, dad.”

Charles nodded briefly, keeping his eyes fixed on Ororo. She stood a respectful distance from him, her hands clasped before her tightly as she struggled not to keep bowing her head.

The silence between them was palpable, and as Charles settled against the back of his chair, he said suddenly, “Good God, you are a mess.”

Initially she didn’t get it, and it was only after he allowed a slight grin that ‘Ro relaxed, a sort of crooked smile forming at the corners of her lips as well. “Thank you for noticing.”

Charles’ serious gaze returned however, and he sort of cocked his bald head to one side, asking (quite genuinely), “Do you feel better?”

‘Ro seemed to contemplate that for a long time, and finally, after several more seconds, stepped closer to him, coming down to her knees. They stared at one another intently for a long while. Charles saw the sometimes impetuous but always empathetic young girl he’d adopted more than 2 decades ago. ‘Ro couldn’t bear the thought of ever waking to the knowledge she’d never see her father again.

He saw her full bottom lip quiver slightly, and at the same time she leaned into him, Charles’ arms were already open for the embrace. She clung to him for dear support, and as her sobs became audible, Charles gently stroked her messy hair, and tried his best not to weep himself.

*I’m…I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…* Her thoughts seemed a jumble to him, but Charles concentrated a little harder, and reached out to mentally soothe her chaotic psyche.

*Ororo, it’s alright. It’ll be alright…* He looked up briefly, a little concerned, as a cluster of dark cumulus clouds drifted overhead outside the window.

She raised her head then, and smiled weakly. Even in these circumstances, and in his present condition, her father still knew how to comfort her fears.

*…Can my little Princess do something for me?* Charles tilted her chin up so their eyes met.

*Anything.*

He smiled. *I need you to be strong, Ororo. Maybe now, more than ever. Marie is going to need you, just like ‘Beth and Hank, and the others.*

She wavered for a moment, shifting beneath his intent gaze. *Dad, I…*

*You can do this, Ororo. Please, for me?*

Nodding, she willed her emotions back into check, the skies outside brightening immediately. With a deep sigh she laid her forehead just beneath his jaw line, and could feel his pulse strong there in the neck. Barely a whisper she repeated, “Anything.”

Hugging her tightly, Charles smiled somberly, as he recalled a time long ago that he asked her to do much the same thing, but for very different reasons…



24 Years Ago…
Salem Center, Westchester County, NY
4:03 a.m…


Shifting quietly in the oak wood rocking chair, Charles tried to get his left arm to “wake” up from its numb slumber without disturbing the sleeping child in his arms. Her wavy white head naturally fit into the crook of his elbow, her flawless cherubim features finally at rest.

He sighed with relief when she didn’t stir, as he rotated his wrist and pumped his fingers to get the feeling back. After the rough night they’d had, he was just glad she’d managed to sleep at all, and prayed that for once, the young girl would be able to sleep through the night.

He hadn’t had Ororo back in the States for a full seven months yet, following the tragic deaths of her birth parents, and still the little one found it increasingly difficult to adjust to her new life.

However, this was also brand new to Charles Xavier as well, who’d had no children, no wife”just a challenging job with the State Department assisting a U.N. Ambassador, and the will to give this his best shot. Looking down into her fitfully resting face, he still had to admit he was surprised how drastically his life had changed in the course of a few months. He was a father now. He was someone’s dad. And not just anyone, he mused, continuing to rock slowly back and forth in the chair his grandmother had rocked him to sleep in. He was the proud father of one of the most gifted, beautiful, brightest, challenging, mysterious and infuriating little five year olds he’d ever met.

Everyday with little Ororo had proven to be a challenge”some good, some not so good”but Charles knew with each passing day that he’d done the right thing. Not that the court system had made it any easier for him, initially blocking his adoption of the homeless orphan. And most of his friends and co-workers thought he was mad (except Erik), but that negative reinforcement only served, oddly enough, to push him harder.

Using some of the fortune his parents had bequeathed him, Xavier set out to bring the young girl back to the U.S. with him after his job in North Africa was finished; discovering her father had been a U.S. citizen was the biggest break Charles and his lawyers could have hoped for, and helped his case dramatically.

As the small child began to struggle in her sleep, Charles was momentarily distracted from his thoughts, and brought a hand up to her pouting cheek, caressing it slowly and shushing her back to sleep till she stilled once more.

His thoughts returned inward, and Charles chuckled softly, recalling the initial reaction to those around him once he stated his intent of adoption. The State officials and caseworkers in NY’s DCFS* were hesitant to allow this young, unmarried, fresh-faced white man to adopt the girl, but at the same time they were puzzled what to make of the little blue-eyed, white-haired African-American. Charles, on the other hand, had already suspected the young girl was more than special, and as he’d learn a few short years later was more than right…

“Mm…Mama…”

He was startled out of his thoughts again, as she began to struggle harder in her sleep. He tried to soothe her unconscious terror, but it only escalated. With their physical proximity he could easily feel the terror she was no doubt reliving, and would’ve given anything to take it away.

As he reached a hand up to her cheek, little Ororo’s eyes snapped open, bewilderment and panic on her face. She seemed unaware of where she was, and confused the darkened nursery and the embrace she was in as a different time, a different place.

Before he could calm her, she’d struggled out of his arms, rolling to the floor with a solid thmp and scrambled to the full-sized bed nearby, her eyes wide as she muttered unintelligible things in Swahili and English.

“Ororo? Ororo, it’s okay, it was just a dream.” He tried to reason with her, stepping cautiously over to the bed. When he neared her, though, she whimpered as if she’d been struck, raising one small arm above her face as if to block a blow.

‘Or falling debris…’ Charles stopped in his tracks, surmising that she was still evidently caught in some kind of night-terror, between her nightmare’s world and this still unfamiliar reality.

Ororo’s audible distress intensified, as her bulging eyes quickly bounced around the room, and she kept looking up at the bed’s frilly canopy as if she expected it to fall in upon her at any moment. Realizing she was paralyzed with the claustrophobic fear, Charles tried a different approach, kneeling beside the bed so his eye level was no longer above hers.

Hoping she would be able to understand him, he tested out his rusty Swahili. [Ororo…wake up, little one. You are safe…]

Her gaze darted from the canopy to him, and he could clearly tell she doubted that. [It hurts…] Her raspy little voice trembled.

[What hurts?] He slid forward slowly.

[…The Dark. It hurts.]

“Shhhh…” He chose then to reach a hand out to her, as a tear finally broke through to slide down her cheeks. When his fingers came in contact with her feverish skin, the flood of images that rushed forth nearly knocked Charles on his ass. He could ‘see’ and ‘feel’ the torment that kept pressing down upon her, as flashes of her nightmare”no doubt stemming from the actual event”replayed again and again.

Grasping her trembling hand, he tentatively pressed against the chaotic aura that was her fragile young mind, until she could ‘feel’ his presence beside her, within her head. Carefully so as not to further confuse her, he picked her up within the nightmare, holding her close in comfort. The debris and destruction of the desert apartment-home faded into obscurity slowly, as his mind whispered soothing words to hers.

It was quite a gamble on his part, for Charles had--up to this point--used this strange yet powerful aspect of his ‘gift’ like this only rarely, and never on a child’s mind, but it was a gamble he felt needed to be taken, lest her nightmares push the girl back into that catatonic state the soldiers had found her in, buried beneath the rubble of her parents’ house.

Tego…bwana?”

He slowly withdrew from her mind, as she twisted her hand from within his to raise her delicate, tiny fingers to his face. Ororo’s eyes searched his, and she seemed to recognize him now.

Charles smiled at the nickname she’d given him after once having caught him using his telekinetic powers. “It’s okay, Ororo. The ‘magic man’ is here. Nothing’s going to hurt you.”

She allowed him to come up onto the mattress, sitting beside her as she answered matter-of-factly, “The Dark can. The Dark hurts…all the time.”

He gathered her up into his arms, and slowly rocked her. “I won’t let The Dark hurt you anymore, Ororo.”

“You promise?”

He stopped, and leaned away from her to stare straight into her lovely, troubled eyes. “I do. If you promise me something.”

She looked at him a little skeptically, but said, “What?”

“I promise The Dark won’t hurt you anymore, if you promise me to be strong.”

“’Be Strong’?”

“Hm-hmm…” He nodded, continuing, “Together, you and I can beat The Dark. But only if It sees you are strong. When you feel It around you, you can’t be afraid. Tell The Dark ‘You can’t hurt me, anymore.’ Can you say that?”

She gazed up at him, unsure, but repeated timidly, “You can’t hurt me anymore.”

He shook his head, “You have to shout it, Ororo. Say it, ‘The Dark can’t hurt me’!”

The Dark Can’t Hurt Me!” She smiled sheepishly, and he could feel some of her anxiety diminish. Charles realized it was only a band-aid, and that even some intense therapy may not fully erase the damage of what had happened, but for now, he’d take whatever worked…



Present Day…

Ororo leaned into his chest, hugging him tightly. “I’ll be strong, “Tego-bwana”. I promise.”

Charles smiled somberly but proudly, hugging her back and kissing the top of her disheveled head. “That’s my girl.”

After going upstairs to clean herself up, Ororo took a detour by the kitchen, where a couple of the full-time chefs were already in the middle of preparing what smelled to be a lovely breakfast. Pilfering a strawberry from the large colander of freshly washed fruit by the counter, she asked, “Have either of you seen Marie?”

As the chefs looked up, shaking their heads, a deep voice behind her said, “She’s gone out.”

‘Ro turned on her heel to see Scott standing there in the doorway, dressed in a Xavier Institute sweatshirt and matching jogging pants, holding the morning paper in one hand. She came up to him, crossing her arms. “Out? Where?”

He shrugged, turning to go, and knew she’d follow him”which she did. “For a walk, she said. She passed me out on the back patio earlier. Of course, I think she only deemed me worthy because she knew you’d ask.”

‘Ro followed him out there, where he resumed his place on one of the reclining patio chairs, and continued reading. For a long while she just stood there, looking out at the quiet surf and deep in thought. She needed to talk to Marie, make sure she was alright (as much as she could be, any way). By their father’s request ‘Ro could only assume the youngest Xavier kid had also found out the truth of his condition. And while Marie was sometimes impulsive, at least they didn’t have to worry about her pummeling the entire Eastern seaboard with hurricanes…

“I guess you’re feeling better.”

‘Ro was dragged out of her thoughts as Scott addressed her. She grimaced at his tone; even though her father had asked the same question, the 2 men’s intentions were world’s apart. Instead of retorting with some angry gesture, she replied simply, “Why would you say that?”

He read for a few seconds more, then laid the paper aside. Turning to look up at her Scott lifted one shoulder. “That was a helluva storm last night. Now it’s clear skies and sunshine. I dunno, I just put two and two together.”

“Well, the next time you feel like attempting complicated math, Scott, do us all a favor”don’t.” She couldn’t help that one; the man always knew how to push her buttons.

He stifled a laugh, folding his arms behind his head as he watched her through his crimson glasses. ‘Ro walked out onto the patio, stopping at the railing far from him. With a sudden thought she turned her head, eyeing him suspiciously. “And just how did you find out?”

He bypassed asking her how she knew he knew; instead he got up from the chair, coming over to stand at the rail beside her. “Last Summer”“

--‘Ro ‘tsk’ed but he went on,

“”at the reunion. Charles pulled me and the old man aside. Can’t say I was totally surprised”“

“What??” She balked at him, physically leaning farther away.

Scott kept his eyes on the surf for a moment. “Before you zap my head off, just listen. You know as well as anyone the busy, demanding, stressful lifestyle your dad has. A guy his age, he’s bound to have a weaker immune system because of it.”

“Scott, I really don’t s”“

“Hear me out. I’ve talked to Hank about this, and your bro’ seems to think I’m dead on the money.”

“With what?”

“Your dad got TLV from That Island.”

She raised startled eyes to him, and after a few tense moments he returned her stare. “Wha..? How can you be so sure?”

“Isn’t it rather obvious, ‘Ro? He’s spent more than a decade going back and forth to that place and…I uh…happen to be privy to some information about the rate of new cases of TLV in Genosha…”

“And?”

“…let’s just say ‘epidemic’ is putting it nicely.”

“Oh my God…” She looked at him worriedly, wondering why”and how”this hadn’t been released to the press yet.

As if reading her thoughts, he went on, “Of course, what I just told you is beyond “confidential” info. Hell, I’m not even supposed to know. But there are those in the U.N. who don’t want a full blown panic over this. Genosha’s bid to become a member pretty much hangs on this information staying off the public’s radar. Billions in relief aid would dry up quicker than a spilled canteen on the Sahara.”

She balked at that. “They’d actually leave millions of people to fend for themselves like that? The U.N.??”

Scott’s sarcastic laugh spoke volumes. “You forget, ‘Ro? Genosha’s ‘Mutie Country’. When they established themselves as a sovereign nation and spit in the face of the rest of the world to do it, they burned some pretty big and powerful bridges. But they’re not unlike a lot of other struggling young countries, in that respect. It’s the X-Factor in the genes that makes them so different.”

His odd tone escaping her attention, Ro was shaking her head, half in disbelief and half in anger. Living a mostly privileged life, she’d had few experiences with the very real prejudice and out-right racism that many other mutants faced. After all, her own father’s identity as a mutant was not public knowledge. Charles Xavier was considered a “mutant sympathizer” and humanitarian, who’d gone so far as to adopt mutant children in his belief that homo sapiens and homo “superiors” (as the press had sometimes labeled them) should coexist as one People: Human.

He’d used it to his advantage, when others assumed he was homo sapien; it’d proven a wise decision, giving him access that he feared otherwise would not have been granted had others known he was not only a mutant, but a powerfully telepathic one at that.

“No wonder Genosha’s all he’s talked about for years. Every time we spoke”over the phone, in letters, whatever”he mentioned his work there. I didn’t realize the problems were so serious, I guess.” Ororo thought out loud.

Scott shifted his weight to his other foot and continued, “Yeah, but it’s probably all that time there that’s the cause of his TLV. I mean, you know it just seems to pick one person over another sometimes, but I’ve talked with Moira and Hank. They seem agreed that Charles’ prolonged exposure to so many infected people at once is probably what increased his chances, at least 10-fold.”

Ororo was silent, thinking of her father’s humanitarian efforts, and what it had gotten him. Deep down there was a part of her that had often times resented other people, like those of Genosha; it was an emotion she tried time and again to dispel over the years. ‘Ro realized it was completely irrational, but that possessive, frightened little girl in her wouldn’t let it go so easily.

“I suppose there is a bright side, though…” Scott’s voice brought her around.

“That being?”

“There’ve been some promising preliminary reports from Moira’s team at the Muir Island Research Institute. They think they’re close to a breakthrough”“

She turned hopeful, wide eyes to him, but he raised a hand quickly.

“”a vaccine, ‘Ro. If they’re right, it could save millions.”

“Hm.” She smiled appropriately at that, holding her tongue.

“Well, ain’t ya’ll the perfect couple…”

They looked down, catching sight of Marie below on the beach as she jogged in place. ‘Ro watched as she came up the patio and asked, “Hey. Can we talk for a minute?”

With a sidelong glance at Scott, Marie continued her rhythmic breathing. “Later, sis. Ah smell breakfast an’ ah’m starvin…”

“Marie…” ‘Ro began, but let her go. More to herself than to Scott, ‘Ro murmured, “That can’t be good…”

He started past her, grabbing his paper from the chair and shook his head. “God, you two are so alike.”

“What the hell are you getting at?” She retorted, but he only glanced back briefly before heading toward the kitchen behind Marie.

Ororo sighed heavily, leaning against the rail as she looked out over the water. The information Scott had given her was a bit much to take in at once, but her thoughts kept returning to the sacrifices her father had made for the causes he believed in. ‘You know, you could stand to follow his example a little more…’

As she spied pieces of debris still on the beach below, ‘Ro suddenly got a bright idea. ‘It’s not quite on a global scale, but still…’ With a glance back toward the house, Ororo hurried down the stairs, and down the beach at a jog.

About an hour or so later, she slowed to a walk as she approached the beach house, smiling tentatively as she spotted the man from earlier that morning. He was standing on the back porch now, and appeared to be cleaning up heavier pieces of debris, some of which blocked the rear entrance of the home.

She was about to call out to him to announce her presence, but when he roughly chucked a large piece of fiberglass over the porch railing, she hesitated. Quietly, Ororo watched him as he stared hard at the exterior of the house. His shoulders rose and fell beneath the t-shirt like he was out of breath, his wild dark hair in disarray as he seemed to stare straight through the wall. Unsure what to do next, she took a step closer, but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw what happened next.

The man’s right hand clenched suddenly, the tendons and veins of his forearm contracting and visible to her even at that distance. He started shaking his head, slowly at first, as if he were disagreeing with something being said. Again and again his fist clenched, faster and faster. Finally his back muscles bunched convulsively beneath the tattered shirt, and his fist stiffened”SNIKT.

Ororo jumped at the sound and sight of the 3 metal blades as he reared his arm back, and struck the side of the house. Her legs felt like jell-O, and she stumbled backwards in the sand as the wind blew past her.

Before she could move, however, she saw his body stiffen, and his head came up slightly, as he turned and glared at her over his shoulder.

Logan cursed at himself bitterly, having been so preoccupied that he hadn’t noticed he had an ‘audience’ until the breeze brought a whiff of jasmine and vanilla past his nose. Now he stared at her hard, and slowly withdrew his fist from the wall, the light abrasions on his knuckles stinging as they already began to heal. His claws came out of the wall slowly, and he lowered his arm, turning to face her fully.

Ororo felt like a deer in headlights as he came to the edge of the porch, those bright metallic extensions catching the early morning rays with a dangerous gleam just before he flexed his wrist and they disappeared. Several tense moments passed, as Ororo’s pulse seemed to pound from within her throat. Some part of her mind screamed at her to flee, to call up a big-ass gust of wind and get the fuck outta Dodge…‘Why the hell aren’t you moving..?!’

Logan watched her intently, unsure if she was just crazy or had more balls than half the people he’d had the displeasure of crossing paths with in the last six months. When he caught another whiff of her scent with the next breeze, he could tell for sure.

‘Nope. Just Scared Stupid.’




(*) Department of Children and Family Services


TBC in Chapter 5, “First Impressions, pt.3”
Spoiler: Wouldn’t you like to know??
First Impressions, pt. 3 by Echo
Series: Seasons Change (vol.1)

Category: AU

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters--Uh, U know what?? I wish I DID own 'em, cuz then I could stop this madness JoeQ & TIIC are planning w/ Ororo and (ugh) The Black Panther... But, still don't, so don't sue.

Feedback: Please, and thank you.

Dedication: To All ROLOers, Everywhere! Keep RoLo Hope Alive!



A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #5: "First Impressions, part 3"

As the early morning breeze came off the sea, it carried enough information to Logan’s heightened senses that they were carrying on a conversation and Ro didn’t even know it. Her body was statuesque as she stood rooted in place a few yards away from him on the beach. He had only moved to the edge of the back porch’s patio; standing on the edge as he kept a watchful eye on her.

At their closer proximity, he was better able to confirm what he’d already suspected earlier that morning, but he was waiting for her to make the first move; if his military training had taught James “Logan” Howlett one thing, it was to never let on what you know…especially upon first impressions.

“Hey! I’m talkin’ t’ya!”

Ororo blinked, her eyes moving slowly from his arm to this face. She braced her back against the strong wind blowing behind her, trying to convince herself that it was the chill of the morning that ran down her back; not what she’d just witnessed, or the almost feral look in the man’s eye. “I…uh, I’m s-sorry, I…”

“I said, what’d’you want? I’m busy.” He never took his eyes off her, but reached a hand into his pocket to take out the half-smoked stub of a cigar, and put it in his mouth, chewing around it as he visually pierced her.

Choosing for the moment to ignore what she’d just seen (maybe he’d believe she hadn’t witnessed it if she didn’t mention it?), Ororo took a single step closer to him, crossing her arms in a very obviously nervous way. “I don’t want to keep you, sir. I’ll be quick; I just wanted to speak w/ you about the mess.”

His flint-colored eyes hardened for a brief moment, as he gave her an expression that said he couldn’t believe she was actually ‘going there’. “Look, I’ve gotten all the letters I can stand from you Home Owners Association muthaf”“

“I’m not from The Association,” she spoke above his curse, stepping forward quickly in reassurance.

Of course he knew that. “Hmph. I was gonna say…” he muttered anyway, leaning against the wooden column briefly before standing back up straight. “So, who are you with, then?”

Ororo dared to keep coming closer, until they were only a few feet apart; he remained standing on the top step of the back porch, and she was directly below him on the sand below the last step. They evaluated each other for the longest time, as she correctly decided to choose her words more carefully w/ this man. “I’m not “with” anyone, sir. I just tho’t that you could use some help, after the storm last night, cleaning up some of the mess. I just came to offer…”

Her words trailed off as he continued to stare her down. Suddenly, Ororo began to think better of her decision to ‘heal the world, one house at a time’. As for Logan, he was still trying to figure her out himself. Her disposition indicated that she was uncomfortable but he wasn’t convinced it was for the reason he initially believed. Rather than open that particular can o’ worms, he decided that if she didn’t bring IT up, then neither would he.

“So, that’s what yer up to? Got a house-cleanin’ gig goin?”

She almost laughed, but wasn’t totally convinced he was not joking. Reaching a hand out to grasp the weathered railing of the steps before her, Ororo looked back up to him, a somewhat wry smile on her face. “Not quite. But…I’d like to lend a helping hand, if it’s alright..?”

He almost asked her why, but could tell quite easily that that particular question was one she wished to avoid. Still somewhat wary of her, Logan cocked his head to one side and said simply, “No.”

He visibly saw her disposition fall in disappointment, then she closed her mouth, nodding in silent resolution. He had so many walls built up around his feelings, this barely made a dent in his steely reserve. Ororo let go of the railing, beginning to back up one step. She looked back up at him, a small”if not forced”smile on her face as she said, “Alright…I’m sorry to have troubled you, Mr…?”

All she got out of Logan was a firm grunt and a curt nod, as he completely ignored the implied question at the end of her statement. The cigar was rolled between his lips as he watched her back away, then turn back toward the way she’d come. Not once did she even turn back to look his way; Logan, however, never took his eyes off of her as she retreated. Truth be told, he had been mildly surprised, and was proud of himself for not showing it. The striking young woman seemed oblivious…for that, he was glad, because at that moment he really didn’t feel up to any more trips down memory lane…

His face told an old story”a memory refreshed. Shaking his head slowly, he dismissed the tho’t running through his mind, and reached in his pocket for his favorite lighter, bringing it up to the remnants of his cigar as he turned back into the dark house.

Sometime Later That Morning, Ororo came back into the main house, her steps heavy w/ some disappointment. On one hand, she was slightly vexed at the attitude the mysterious stranger had given her, but then, as she’d walked slowly back home, she gave herself pause to think about what she had been about to do. Surprised at herself, she shook her head in self-admonishment. ‘You didn’t even know that guy! Geez, he could have been some mass-murderer or something.’

She didn’t honestly believe so, but the point was brought home anyway. ‘Well, it was a good idea, anyway'. She chuckled to herself, heading up the stairs toward her father’s room. If all she needed was good ideas for philanthropy, she knew exactly where to get them. And as for the stranger on the beach? She was curious, she had to admit.

She would have to remember to ask her father about him later.


TBC



(I know this seems an odd place to stop, but I have to find my original notes on this story for the progression after Logan’s & Ro’s initial encounter. They’re floating around my new apartment”no worries, I’ll find them! I may come back & re-edit this chap., not sure.)
Choices & Decisions, pt. 1 by Echo
Series: Seasons Change (vol.1)

Category: AU

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters--Uh, U know what?? I wish I DID own 'em, cuz then I could stop this madness JoeQ & TIIC are planning w/ Ororo and (ugh) The Black Panther... But, still don't, so don't sue.

Feedback: Please, and thank you.

Dedication: To All ROLOers, Everywhere! Keep RoLo Hope Alive!




A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #6, “Choices & Decisions”, pt. 1

Southampton Long Island, NY
June 29th, 2004
7:15 a.m.


Summers at the beach estate of the Xavier family were often filled with youthful excitement and an air of the unexpected was the norm. One thing, however, remained the same: waking to mornings filled with the delightful aroma of Mrs. Duvahl’s special family recipe for Belgian waffles.

Rubbing his growling belly unconsciously, Scotty Summers bounced down the stairs in his Xavier-embossed sweat pants, his eyes searching the seemingly quiet downstairs grand foyer for signs of life. Seeing none, he followed the enticing smell that called to his empty gut, heading for the kitchen (where he was sure others had gotten to breakfast first).

As his mind wandered for the few moments it took to get there, he admitted to himself that he was secretly glad he’d decided to take Charles up on the hospitable offer of staying there in the mansion as an honored guest, until after the mid-August family reunion took place in a little over a month & a half. It gave him the perfect opportunity to catch up w/ friends and relive some of his fondest memories from childhood.

He always considered Charles Xavier a second father or uncle-figure; it had been the powerful telepath that changed Scott’s life forever in teaching the young mutant how to better control his ‘gift’ of optic blasts. Though he had been somewhat out of practice the last few years he’d been in the Air Force, Scott had maneuvered the ability to keep the bursts from escaping his eyes for a short period of time, allowing him to remove the specialized spectacles Moira & Charles had invented for him.

Pausing in his steps for a brief moment, Scott smiled just a little wistfully; he remembered that the first time he’d been able to take them off on his own, he and Ororo had been outside late one afternoon on the beach, watching the sunset…

Clearing his throat just outside the kitchen entrance, Scott shook away those sorts of tho’ts about Ororo. In the past couple of weeks since they’d been ‘vacationing’ under the same roof, the two former childhood sweethearts had had very little to say to each other past informal pleasantries and “safe” meal-time chatter w/ the others. Her obvious rebuff of his attempts to get even five minutes alone merely amused the tempered AF Captain; Scott knew Ororo well enough that he guessed it was a matter of time before she’d eventually see things his way. And by “his way”, meant simply that Scott knew he’d F’d up what they had before, but intended to smooth things over with a minimal amount of un-masculine pleading & begging. He hadn’t come to Southampton without a plan, you know.

“Good morning, everyb--!”
A sharp chorus of “SSshhh!!” rang out as an answer from the gathered bodies sitting around one of the countertop islands in the spacious kitchen. Scott raised a brow at the reception, but didn’t say a word as he came up behind them. Marie, Kurt, Brian & Beth were perched on stools drawn up against the island. Bobby had gotten a kitchen chair and pulled it up close to the side, cradling a mixing bowl almost overflowing w/ a nauseously sweet kids’ cereal that he was still spooning into his gullet, despite the fact that his eyes were glued to the screen of the wall-mounted 42” plasma before them.

Just around the corner, Scott caught sight of Mrs. Duvahl and one of the morning-staff cooks, who were still getting breakfast together, but found themselves continuously pausing to watch the T.V. Curious, he turned back to the screen, watching as the camera panned back to well-known National field journalist Trish Tilby, who stood dressed in light green-grey fatigues, one hand up to the side of her head to brace her wireless mic against the wind. She was outside, that much was sure, but exactly where was unknown, until the crawl at the bottom of the screen spelled things out quite bluntly for him.

“Yes, I’m here, Stone. The wind has kicked up a little due to the helicopters coming in and landing every few moments, so forgive me if I have to speak up a little to get over the noise.” Trish’s statement was punctuated as the momentarily died-down winds suddenly began to stir up again, and she visibly braced herself, ducking her head down for several seconds.

The screen split in two, as the other journalist”safe in his New York studio 3B set”came into view, and w/ little apparent concern, asked, “That’s alright, Trish. Tell us, what’s the atmosphere like down there?”

As a large UH-1 Huey landed behind her, she turned sideways, motioning to the chopper, which the cameraman seamlessly zeroed in on. “Well, Stone, the situation here in Genosha has definitely deteriorated significantly in the last 36 hours. Behind me you can clearly see helicopters taking off and landing here on the rooftop of the joint U.S.-British Embassy; top officials & their entire staff of aids here have been ordered by their respective governments to leave with no further delay, as civilian rioting escalated overnight and early into the morning.”

As the Huey took off behind her, Trish straightened her posture, and her voice lowered to a normal octave as she continued. “These dignitaries are quickly being replaced by U.N.-sanctioned troops, many from the U.S. and Great Britain, as they try to regain some measure of peace in this civil war-torn country.”

Stone’s face remained emotionless as his name, as he did his best to remain objective. “Trish, we’ve been told that the estimates on Genoshian refugees trying to flee the country are in the tens of thousands”perhaps even hundreds of thousands; had you been able to confirm that from Embassy officials before their departure?”

“I’m sorry, Stone, could you repeat that?!” Trish ducks again, as the loudness of another chopper drowns everything out.

In the kitchen, Scott takes the opportunity to try to get some answers of his own. “What the hell’s going on??”

SSSsshhHH!!” Hands wave him Quiet, tho’ no one takes an eye off the screen. Exasperated, he draws up a stool, and plunks himself down dejectedly.

On the screen, Stone repeated his last question to Trish, who began shaking her head negatively. “As of this moment, those estimates are all we have to go on, Stone. But I can tell you, even as we were flying in over the Atlantic towards the island, several national coast guard agencies were busy attempting to stop civilians from leaving the island. They’ve commandeered any make-shift floatation devices, boats, yachts, and even a few brave souls who thought to take their chances and swim the distance.”

“The situation seems pretty tense, there, Trish.” Several groans in the kitchen mutely indicate the severity of that understatement.

“It is, Stone. Unfortunately for these people, we understand that many surrounding countries have issued statements publicly withdrawing any support for political asylum for Genoshian citizens”regardless of whether or not they are carriers of the so-called Legacy Virus. We’ve learned this afternoon that President Bush intends to make remarks about that very subject, later today.”

“Well, thank you Trish.”

“No problem, Stone.”

“I understand you’ll have an update for us at the end of the hour.”

“That’s correct. We’ll be getting reaction from members of Genosha’s Parliament, as well as civilian reaction. For now, reporting Live, this is Trish Tilby, from the U.S.-British Embassy at the capital in Hammer Bay, Genosha.”

As the screen squeezed her image out to go back to the studio, where Stone Phillips began a recap and commentary on her report, the kitchen suddenly erupted with chatter from the gathered mutants.

“Ah can’t b’lieve this! How ‘kin they just strand all those people like that??”
Quarantine, is more like it,” Bobby talked through his cereal, chewing loudly.
“Can they actually do that? Keep free citizens on thet island against their ‘vill?” Kurt turned questioning eyes to them, then looked at Scott.

The Air Force pilot raised a brow, then a shoulder. He kept his mouth shut for a moment, wondering why Kurt had seemingly chosen him of all people to ask that. Scratching his bare arm slowly for a moment, he finally conceded, “It’s the U.N…”

Beth eyed him closely for a second, but didn’t say anything. She didn’t like the vibe he’d involuntarily broadcasted right then, but she wasn’t going to put him on the chopping block just yet; the lovely young woman knew that Scott’s position in the military afforded him a certain amount of access to sensitive information, and that it wouldn’t be fair to try to make him break any oaths he’d taken, no matter how much they all wanted to know what was going on. Turning to Kurt, she interjected, “I think that the reasoning behind that is to keep the rest of the world’s mutant population from going inte’ a full-scaled panic. It’s easier to keep a couple million mutants in one spot, rather than tens of millions all over, isn’t it?”

“Well, I don’t want ‘te be the devil’s advocate, but isn’t that the smart thing ‘te do?” Brian turned questioning eyes their way.

As the others got ready to blast him for such an inconsiderate remark, a voice behind them all interrupted. “Brian is correct…”

Turning, they saw Hank standing just inside the doorway, already dressed in slacks and a long-sleeved shirt, his glasses resting on the tip of his nose. His expression was stern but sympathetic. The group fell silent as he advanced, and Scott especially noted the tired expression behind the young doctor’s eyes.

“…Can you imagine the world-wide chaos that would erupt if large numbers of infected Genoshians left the island? Most of the public”mutant and Sapien alike”are ignorant of the particulars of TLV; they won’t want to be educated either. In this case, right at this moment, I do not believe anyone could get most people to believe the truth about how the disease is spread. Rather than have wide-spread panic across the world, the U.N. is treating this ‘outbreak’ with, eh, a band aid…a very large band aid.”

Scott turned to Hank fully, asking quietly, “Does the Professor know about this?”

“I think he got a call from the State Department last night.” Henry rubbed the bridge of his nose, and then pushed his glasses back up.

“Wai’aminute,” Marie stood up from her stool, whirling around to face her brother. “Why’re they callin’ Dad? …Henry??

Scott looked at Hank’s face, then, “You can’t be serious. He’s not actually considering going back there…In His condition??”

Quietly, Henry came up to the counter, resting his clenched fists on the cool top; he was doing his best to remain objective, due to his official position as his father’s primary care physician, but as the man’s son, he was a mess of emotions inside. “They asked.”

Brian laid a hand on his sister’s shoulder, as Beth became visibly agitated. Kurt’s eyes widened, as he shook his head in disbelief.

“I can’t believe they actually had the nerve,” Bobby set his bowl down at this.

“Well, I understand his feelings toward what’s going on, but somebody’s got to talk some sense into Charles,” Scott said simply, crossing his arms and shaking his head.

Turning to him, Hank said simply, “Ororo’s already upstairs.”




At That Very Moment, Charles Xavier and His daughter were on opposite sides of the room, and opposite sides of this debate.

Sitting at the small desk in his large master bedroom, Xavier had been dressed for many hours already, as he finished going through some old files on his desk. Standing far away in body and mind, Ororo faced the opening morning, looking at the slightly rough surf her father’s bedroom window faced. Her arms were crossed tightly, her expression tight, but she remained quiet…for the moment.

“Ororo, please try to understand. You know this is just as difficult for me…” He didn’t face her, knowing that if he saw that look on her face, his resolve would probably dissolve. He couldn’t bear to see that little girl in her. Besides, this wasn’t about them; not when so many others were suffering so terribly.

“Please, Dad, don’t say that to me. I’m not here to make you feel guilty.”

“That’s not what I”“

“Okay. But still…I thought that Hank and Moira told you that you needed bed rest above all else?! Now you’re contemplating going back to Genosha? Especially now, with all the turmoil going on?” She turned her head just barely, tho’ not enough to actually see him. She didn’t need to; she could sense the look on his face, where his heart was.

“You know why this is important to me, Ororo.” His voice was quiet; almost hauntingly so. It was filled with so much emotion, and unspoken memories, and unfulfilled wishes…

How could she possibly deny him this? Charles had never asked her for much; just for trust. It was partially what he was asking for even now. The only real question, was whether or not she could get over her own insecurities, to let her father complete this last act of kindness for a suffering people…Yes, she knew why it was especially important to him; that didn’t mean she had to like it. “I know.”

The room was silent for a long moment, then she heard the wheels of his chair squeak briefly, as they came to rest beside her. A father’s warm hand reached out to clasp his daughter’s slightly trembling fingers. The flood of emotions that coursed through their link almost sent tears down her cheeks; everything inside Ororo said that this was wrong; that she should tell Charles not to go, that those Genoshians be damned--she didn’t want to lose her father any quicker than their disease was already taking him.

She didn’t say those things, but to be truthful, that’s exactly how she felt; Charles knew it, he didn’t have to acknowledge it; it was an understanding between father and daughter.

*When will you leave?*
*Erik & I will try to do as much from Washington as we can.*
*WHEN.*
*…I may not be back in time for the reunion.*
He knew that was the real answer she was searching for. That, and whether or not he’d die over there in some forsaken country. But Ororo wasn’t ready to ask the latter…not yet.

She suddenly shut down their link, and Charles allowed her to keep those thoughts to herself. They just stayed there in front of the window for a while longer, watching the rising sun glisten over the horizon.




Later that day…Four miles down the beach, someone had been knocking at the door of the Howlett estate’s main house for over four minutes. It was the only person brave (or stupid?) enough to do so; even the neighbors who’d known the Howletts years ago, when there was the refreshing sound of young laughter in the back yard, knew better than to do that these days.

But then, Ben Campbell’s mother always did call him a stubborn mule.

“Colonel Howlett! Sir, it’s Ben!! Ben Campbell!” He’d announced who he was three times now, but still no sign of the Colonel. He was about to give it up when he got a sudden thought. Rapping on the door once more, he called out, “I’ve got a message from HQ, sir…it’s about the “trip” you were gonna take..?!”

He hadn’t even finished that sentence before the door was swung open harshly, rattling the windows and the frame. Logan emerged from the depths of the house, his eyes cold and very hard, despite the fact that he was looking at his protégé. Without a word, Logan reached out and took the letter Ben was still holding up in the hand he hadn’t been knocking with, and turned around, going back into the house. The fact that he left the door open told Ben he could come or stay”Howlett really didn’t care (which was saying a lot, considering).
The young man gingerly entered the abode, stepping carefully over the mess in the front foyer and into the small study just off of it, where Logan had gone, opening the letter with the flick of one adamantium claw, leaving the remnants of the envelope in his wake.

“I’ve been calling you, emailing you for the past week. When I saw this pass the General’s desk this morning, I had to come out and show it to you.”

As Logan read the letter, his grey eyes widened in anger. “What the fuck.

“They’re giving your assignment to Maverick’s crew. I heard from one of Acken’s assistants that he’d been getting pressure from the Pentagon to get this back on the fast track, especially after all the shit that’s goin’ down in Genosha”“

At that, Logan raised a puzzled brow at the young man; obviously, catching the evening news had been very low on his list of priorities.

Ben waved it away, however. “Don’t worry about that, now. You can get back up to speed; here.” He handed Logan a flash drive on a short rope, unmarked. “I thought you’d wanna know. If you don’t care, just give me the word, we’ll pretend like I was never here.”

Logan stood there, holding the letter and the portable drive. Maybe this was just the thing to get his mind off of shit…He could just as well bury himself into work as this dirty-ass house with all its broken promises, painful memories and haunted ghosts.

Tossing the flash drive to Ben, he pointed toward the iMac on the desk, which hadn’t been used in close to a year, but had managed to survive the decimation of the house. (Luckily for him, his bills were paid through auto bill-pay, or he’d be truly living in the dark ages”no lights, water, heat or internet.) “Boot that piece o’shit up.”

Ben turned to the desk, as Logan headed for the bathroom. Once by himself, James Howlett stared into the mirror in the downstairs bathroom. He looked worse than death warmed over, that much was true. If he was going to convince Ackens and his higher-ups that he was serious about taking on this mission, he needed to get his act together. Unfortunately, his “act” included getting over the death of his baby girl. At that moment, that wasn’t something Logan wanted to touch.

Reaching into his dirty undershirt, he pulled out his dog tags. Unknown to his superiors at the Pentagon, he’d secretly taken one of his U.S. military tags, and replaced it w/ another, from a time long ago, from a life he’d done almost everything to forget. Now, he looked at that ‘lost’ tag, and the coded inscription on the back of it. ‘Just one friggin’ phone call, Bub. That’s all it’ll take.’

With slightly trembling fingers, he dropped the tags back into his shirt, and sent his thoughts anywhere but where they’d just been. He wasn’t ready to go there. Not just yet.




The Xavier Estate, about 6:24 p.m. that evening…
The day had been much too somber for the gathered members of Charles’ extended family. By now most of them had gone into the city, trying to escape”if only for one night”the thought that the family Patriarch would be leaving them soon (perhaps in more ways than one).

He had insisted that his ‘children’ “have a good time and don’t come back until you do”. Most of them had obliged, for his sake as well as their own. But there was one child who could not be consoled; who refused her father’s wishes that night. Right at that moment, she sat outside on the wide patio facing the beach, her long, graceful brown legs drawn up to the knees, which she rested her chin on as her eyes watched the rolling Atlantic come in and recede repetitively. It was that rhythmic action that was helping her to keep her emotions in check, and the weather from turning extremely foul.

“I thought I’d find you out here again.” That voice, however, threatened that calm.

“Scott, you should know better than most, I’m not in the mood.” She barely spoke above a whisper, but knew he heard her, as he came to stand beside her reclining chair.

“Come on, Ro. I come in peace.” He held one hand over his heart, the other up with his palm showing, trying to look very trustworthy.

She glanced up at him, and suddenly just didn’t have the energy to fight with him. Their petty arguments and the decline of their friendship/romance seemed so trivial at that moment. She was still mad at him, but she needed someone who understood what she was going through right then. Scooter would have to do (at least until Marie & Beth got home).

At her lack of a negative response, he took that as an affirmative, and pulled up one of the wider chairs, able to fit two, so he could spread out his legs comfortably. “So, I guess you didn’t feel much like partying either, eh?”

She scoffed lightly at that; she wouldn’t have exactly used that term to describe what the others were doing. “No, not really.”

Scott remained silent for a moment, just looking at her profile, which told him a lot about her mood and where her thoughts were. Slowly, he reached out a hand, and covered hers. “Hey…”

She looked at him, her eyes full of pain. They just stared at each other for a few seconds, until Ororo felt herself giving in, and a single tear rolled down her cheek. He tugged on her wrist a little, but she shook her head. Deep down, Ro still didn’t trust herself”her emotions”around Scott. She saw that he was trying to comfort her, but after all this time, she didn’t know how to treat it.

Scott kept her gaze, trying to show her he was serious; he was There for her if she wanted to lean on him. “It’s alright. Isn’t that what friends are for?”

She let out a little chuckle at his blatant plagiarism, more tears following.

Above them, the skies darkened w/ the coming of night, but lightning also flashed in the distance, thunder a distant roll away. A light misty rain showered them, but Scott didn’t move, his eyes watching her intently.

Searching his eyes, she finally caved, and reached over, crawling onto the chair with him, settling against the crook of his arm as he held her close, letting her cry.



TBC…
Choices & Decisions, pt. 2 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #7, “Choices & Decisions, pt. 2”

Southampton; Long Island, NY
July 2nd, 2004
11:39 a.m.


PFC Ben Campbell looked around the downstairs area of Colonel Howlett’s house, inwardly impressed w/ the clean up job thus far. He had been back to Howlett’s place for the past four days helping his mentor clean up the ‘less than attractive’ surroundings he was currently living in. The next morning Logan would be expecting a visit from General Ackens and some suit from the Pentagon; curious to see for themselves whether or not the man was indeed back to his “old” self. If they only knew, even James Howlett sometimes did not know what that felt like…

“Place looks pretty damn good to me,” Ben called out, tying up the full garbage bag at his feet and tossing it toward the kitchen foyer where at least a dozen more waited. ‘At least you can see the floor now’, he thought ruefully.

“Yeah…you do good work, kid.” Logan was taking a smoke break, leaning against the door to the beachside entrance out back. He watched the surf a little distracted, as white smoke curled out of his mouth & nostrils from the cigar. He hadn’t planned on doing any cleaning, actually, until Ben made the point of how it would look to the General to see him living in such squalor; how was he to convince any of them he was ‘back’ while living like a senile recluse?

“No prob’lem, sir. Glad I could help. I just hope they don’t open any closets or anything,” Ben chuckled a little, thinking of the strategic places they’d found to put some of the mess and filled trash bags. With the city’s refuse services out for the holiday until Tuesday, they decided to run the most foul of the clean up to one of the nearby dumpsters down the road themselves, where the public beach began again, and let some of the others stay well hidden from lack of time.

“Trust me, they won’t.” Logan assured him, knowing that while Jason Ackens was no one’s fool, he also knew better than to challenge Logan on his own turf”stripes or no stripes. Besides, he got the impression from Ackens over the phone that the General was only too glad to believe that his star special missions agent was all better and ‘sucking it up like a man’, so to speak.

“Mind if I get another beer?” Ben headed to the kitchen, where the remainder of a chilled six-pack was resting in the small Styrofoam container he’d brought half-filled w/ ice on the counter.

“Go ‘head.”
As he stood there gulping down the Canadian brew (which he’d initially found not to his taste, but was quickly warming up to as the days had gone by), he had a sudden thought, and reached over to pull the door to the large”and now cleaned”stainless steel refrigerator. Yep. Just as he’d thought…”Uh, sir.”

Logan’s head lowered, as he turned to the side a little without actually coming in the door. He could hear slight rustling noises inside the kitchen from the other side of the foyer, and wondered briefly what Ben was looking for. “Yeah.”

“When’s the last time you went grocery shopping?”

“Yer lookin’ in the damn thing, you tell me.”

Yeeaah, see, you might want to put something edible in here; so’s it looks like you actually do more than just drink warm beer and order take-out.” The ‘fridge door closed, and the single container of Arm & Hammer baking soda was once again left in peace.

Logan actually snickered at that, shaking his head defiantly. “Hey, the keys to the Jeep are in the hall. Have at it, kid.”

“Ohhh, no.” After a moment, Ben showed up at the threshold, holding the keys in question”holding them out to the Colonel. “Not me, sir.”

Logan gave a look intended to maim, at least, and kept smoking. “What, you’ll clean up after me but won’t do my friggin’ shoppin’?? Phffft!

“No offense Colonel, but don’t you think it’s time you got outta this house for a while?”

Logan didn’t respond to that quiet inquiry. Suddenly he wasn’t so glad to have his own personal shadow in the form of his young protégé; the kid was getting to know him too well.

“Quick trip to the market and back, get some air, and done. Hell, dinner’s even on me.”

Logan sighed, finishing the cigar and turning to gaze at Ben. He knew what the young man said made sense; after all, how was he going to sell the ‘new and improved’ Logan to Ackens & the others, if he still wouldn’t even come outside his own home? Still, he didn’t have to like it. Grabbing the keys roughly, he turned to the inside of the house, brushing past Ben and grabbing the man’s collar along w/ him as he headed toward the garage. “Deal. But yer comin’ with me, smart ass.”




A Few Hours Earlier that Morning, down the beach…

The spacious kitchen at Xavier’s was quiet, which was quite an accomplishment considering the number of people that now inhabited the estate. The wings of the mansion’s main house were quickly becoming occupied by later arrivals for the still-planned family/class reunion. Although a few of the earlier arrivals had had to temporarily take leaves due to unforeseen circumstances, they all intended to return, as this year’s celebration was symbolically”and literally”an important one. Word had traveled quickly and everyone knew about Charles’ decision in no time. It cast a somewhat somber air over the event, and so he’d insisted that the days leading up to his departure be filled w/ as many festivities as possible.

Grimacing slightly, Ororo sat hunched over at the island counter top in the kitchen, a hot mug of very caffeinated French-vanilla flavored coffee between her hands. She could hear the voices of some of the younger students”many of whom were still actively attending the Westchester school”as they taunted each other during a ‘playful’ game of volleyball on the beach out back. Even with the sturdy, insulated walls, their high squeals of laughter and excitement hurt her already pounding head.

“Late night, sugah?”

The slightly older Xavier sister raised her bent head, the quick action sending sharp pains down her throbbing temples and into her neck. “Marie…please, don’t yell so.”

As she came closer, Ororo’s sister planted a hand on her hip, watching w/ a mixture of ‘I told you so’ amusement and ‘I can’t believe you!’ admonishment. Drawing up a stool”scraping it against the floor just a little”Marie plunked down beside her sis, leaning in close, despite the fact that she was not wearing any long sleeves. Ororo didn’t flinch away, however, knowing fully well that Marie meant no harm. “Ro, ‘hun, a mime in space would be too loud f’ya, after the night I heard you had. Or, should ah say…you an’ Scooter?”

Slightly dulled blue eyes slid from over the mug to rest on Marie for a bare moment, then faced forward again, focusing on a spot on the wall across the kitchen. “Checking up on me?”

“Hrmph.”

“We were just out dancing; having a little fun, you know? I think we’re allowed.” Ororo sipped her coffee again, as the distraction of Marie’s nosiness took her mind off of her splitting headache.

“Uh-huh next you’ll tell me ‘we’re jus’ friends, Marie. Scott doesn’t want Back In That’.”

Marie!” Ororo’s eyes took hers sharply at that comment. “Geez, sometimes you can really be such a…a man.” She felt her cheeks burn a little though, and turned her attention back to her mug, using a long (scalding) drag as a good distraction, and an excuse not to address that tasteless note. Though she’d told Marie a fair amount about her relationship w/ Scott back then, there were somethings even the omniscient Marie didn’t know.

The younger sister wasn’t quite done, however, or so easily swayed. She was often called a pit-bull”playfully by her siblings, less so by her enemies. “Look, Ro Ah just don’t wanna see ya get hurt…again. Ah mean, I know that deep”deep, deep deep”down, “Scoot’s” a good guy. But sometimes, those ‘good guys’ let their ‘little guys’ get in th’way o’ good ol’ common-ass sense when it comes t’women.”

With a sort of weary smirk, Ororo retorted, “Now, are we still talking about Scott?”

“Hey, Remy ain’t the only one who threw over somethin’ good for a piece ‘a trash.” Marie sniffed, her luminous dark green eyes flashing just at the thought of her tumultuous relationship with the Cajun film star.

At that, Ororo became quiet, as her sister’s forceful reminder of exactly why she & Scott had ended in the first place so long ago, came flooding back with little mercy. She’d wanted to believe that these past days they had been getting along were about more than Scott Summers’ attempt to reclaim what had been lost almost a decade ago. She really wanted to believe that. Shaking her head at Marie, she said quietly, “We couldn’t go back, Marie. I know that.”

“Yeah? But does Scott.”




Only a couple hours later that afternoon, Charles looked up from the large desk in his downstairs study to see the cautiously excited face of one of his younger students poke through the crack in the heavy mahogany door. Her questioning expression couldn’t help but bring a small smile to his face, as he put down his pen and leaned back in his chair.

“Jubilation. Come in.”

Across the room, Erik only glanced up from the other desk where he’d been doing some internet research on the Powerbook. He sighed quietly with something between mild annoyance and parental amusement as the teen’s exuberance bounced her inside and up to Charles’ desk.
“Professor, I’m really sorry to bother you and all, but like, some of us were wondering if maybe we could have, like, a little, teensy weensy uh, ‘get together’”“

“You know the rules about parties, Jubilee…” Erik interrupted dryly, not even looking up from the screen as he kept reading.

Her eyes slid to him for a second, knowing that she couldn’t have hoped to get anything past the stricter of the two. Looking back to Charles’ bemused expression, she rushed on, “But see, like, it wouldn’t really be a party, per se. Right? I mean, it’s 4th of July weekend, and I”we were thinkin’ maybe some chips, a little dip…couple of sparklers”you know, celebrate the holiday?”

As Erik inhaled, his mouth opening to dash her hopes, Charles glanced at him quickly, a short exchange taking place, and then raised caring deep blue eyes to the spunky adolescent. “Jubilee, I understand your excitement. We can’t disturb our neighbors down the beach, however…”

Her shoulders fell, her inner firecracker fizzling out like she’d been doused w/ a pail of water. But Charles wasn’t finished,

But, I don’t see why we can’t celebrate Independence as well. Speak with Mrs. Duvahl; she’ll handle the refreshments”“

“Oh, thanks Professor! Thanks so much!” She ran around the desk, pouncing on him in her enthusiasm, wrapping her arms about his neck and kissing the top of his shiny bald head before jetting toward the door. With a sudden thought, though, she put on her brakes, turning back to test her incredible luck once more. “Uh, can we go into town to get some supplies? Just a few?”

“We have Help that can do that sort of thing.” Charles raised a brow.

“Please? A mini-field trip? We’ll be good.”

“…Very well.” he sighed, shaking his head in disbelief that he was actually agreeing to this. She hopped in the air a little, clapping her hands and turning for the hall. With a sudden thought, he called after her, “Only a small group! And at least 3 chaperones!! Jubilee!”

She was already on cloud nine. “Sure Professor! Thanks!!” her voice rang from farther away than he would’ve thought she’d be able to run that quickly.

‘What have I gotten into?’ Charles smirked, looking back to his paperwork as a slight telekinetic thought pushed the door back closed. When he looked up again, Magnus was eyeing him.

“Charles”“
“Erik, please. Don’t start. Besides, what harm could it do? They just want to celebrate the holiday. Under the circumstances, I think it’s quite appropriate.”

Charles’ old friend gave him ‘a look’, then pushed his comfortable chair away from the desk, turning it to face him. “You’ve never let them do something like this before. I can’t help but think”“

Xavier gazed at him seriously, knowing where he was going with that thought. The sudden fatigue in his eyes stopped Erik, however, who didn’t wish to upset him any further than the conversation already had. Charles didn’t need Erik’s observation; he realized his current situation was at the root of his somewhat relaxed attitude toward the visiting students and his children.

Since the night Ororo had discovered his condition, the resulting fallout seemed to touch everyone; it hit home with so many of them, who knew vaguely of what Charles’ disease meant, but not really what to expect. He hated to admit it, but he was afraid that the manner in which his daughter had publicly dealt w/ the news, in some ways may have negatively impacted some of the others more than first realized.

Point of fact, he blamed himself for the shroud of mourning that had taken over the reunion; no longer so much a festivity as much as it was a wake. Compounding the issue was his recent decision to depart to war-torn Genosha; something very unpopular with many of his children and students like. Considering their feelings, a little leeway right then didn’t seem like such a terrible thing, was it?

“Erik…” Charles paused; he usually didn’t censor himself with his long-time comrade, but lately they had not been seeing eye to eye on things; rather than get into an argument”which would surely take more energy than ultimately worth”Charles found himself choosing his battles (and words) more carefully. “…it’s alright. Just…let it be alright, okay?”

Hearing the plea behind that awkward request, Erik knew what Charles was really asking. With an audible sigh, he suddenly looked up at Xavier and said, “You know…I feel sorry for the chaperones.”

Unable to help himself, Charles burst into laughter, and the two friends simultaneously thanked the heavens it would not be them.




A Little Over an Hour Later at the Food Emporium, Ororo, Scott, Marie & Bobby did their best to corral the gaggle of teens in an orderly fashion through the insanely busy supermarket. Initially Scott had the idea that the little trek wouldn’t take them very long, until Marie pointed out that it was two days before one of the biggest BBQ days in the country, and wagered how many people he thought had been waiting until the last minute…

“Sonuva…” Scott muttered under his breath, trying to maneuver one of their two quickly-filling shopping carts through the throng of bodies, down the aisles they needed. How had he let himself get wrapped up in this shopping spree from Hell?

“Kitten, slow down with the cart, please.”

That was how. He watched Ororo squeeze through a couple of shoppers who’d stopped to check out a free sample table, and hurry to catch up w/ Kathryn Pryde as the teen ‘drove’ the cart much like she did the student driver car earlier that year to get her learner’s permit.

As he made a beeline to follow her, he shook his head at himself. Initially he’d thought this little outing would allow them some quality time together outside the confines of the mansion where interested eyes were always watching. However, the moment he’d suggested that they volunteer to take Jubilee and the others to get their supplies for this “non”-party (as Erik had stressed before they left) Marie had quickly volunteered herself and Bobby as well, giving Scott a very clear message via eye contact: ‘Oh no you don’t, Slick Willie.’

The entire ride over in the Suburban, he’d had to concentrate more on driving and keeping the rambunctious teens in check than his plan of cozying up to Ro. After their late night of dancing (and maybe a few too many Cosmos for her) the night before, he’d actually thought they were heading back to the way things used to be. She didn’t avoid him anymore; she’d seemed glad when he suggested they go on this God-awful trip in town; she’d even laughed at some of his worst jokes, which was always a good sign w/ a woman.

“Try to keep up, Scoot.” Rogue’s long-sleeved arm brushed his as she and Bobby came up to his cart, tossing in some more bags of potato and vegetable chips and other snacks.

Ignoring the bastardization of the nickname Ro had blessed(cursed) him with when they were kids, he replied, “You know, you’re soo right, Marie. Here, you & Bobby can take over cart duty”“

“What??” She barely got out before he abandoned them & the cart, rushing off in the direction she knew would lead him to her sister.

Beside her, Bobby snickered, pushing her toward the handle bar of the cart, and whistling to himself as he started walking away.

“Oh no ya don’t, Mistah.” She pulled the hem of his polo, still looking in Scott’s retreating direction.

“Hey, Marie,” Bobby paused as they started forward, giving her a once over, “why are you hatin’ on Scott so bad? You’re ‘Blockin’ like hell, ya know.”

“Men.” She grumbled, giving him a sharp glare at his crude comment. “That’s exactly why Ah’m “hatin’” on ‘im. He needs to stay the hell away from muh sister. No-good ass.”

That only got another snicker from Bobby, as the two rushed to catch up w/ the rest of the group.

Across the wide supermarket, Ororo had managed to get Jubilee, Kitty, Clarice, Sam & Paige Guthrie all in one place simultaneously, and she was doing her best to keep them that way. They were only missing two others”Emmett & Monet”who’d she’d sent to go get 2-Liters. Proud of herself, she strategically dolled out shopping assignments for the rest of them, all within eyesight of where she stood next to the fresh fruits & veggies stands.

With a moment to herself, she picked up two pieces of exotic fruit she’d never seen before, examining their prickly, purple & yellow-spotted surfaces, then raised one to her nose for a smell. It was sweet, and she was in the mood to experiment, so she turned to find one of the fresh bags to hold fruit”and promptly collided w/ someone standing behind her.

“I’m so sorry! Are you alright?” She dropped one piece of fruit as she reached a hand out to the young man, who’d stumbled back a couple paces.

He did the exact same motion, then chuckled a little at their same thought as he straightened himself up. “No problem, ma’am; and you?”

Ororo smiled at his politeness, turning to see where the dropped piece had rolled off. “I’m fine, thanks. Just missing a piece…of…”

Her eyes spied the runaway fruit, and a pair of dark boots parked right next to it. As her gaze came up, she began to recognize the body they belonged to. ‘Well, I don’t believe it.’

Pushing the half-filled shopping cart forward a little and bending down to retrieve the errant piece of fruit, Logan came back up, and locked gazes with her, his head cocked to one side but his expression unreadable.

As he walked up to where she and Ben stood, he was inwardly amused at her reaction to seeing him, and tried not to show it. He watched her carefully, as his training unconsciously told him to remember things about her. Taking in her appearance, he couldn’t help but be a little impressed w/ her beauty; it was exotic, no one could deny, but there was something else. Something about the way she stood, her back very straight but natural; her head high but not condescending.

He remembered the plain sweat pants and the sweatshirt she’d worn when she’d shown up to his house the second time. It did nothing to take away from her attractiveness, but as he saw her now”with a straw sun hat topping her loose white locks, the dark blue, backless apron shirt top exposing her smooth brown shoulders, a straight-hemmed cargo skirt that reached her ankles and split just above the knee on the left side, and those heel-less sandals laced up to her slim & shapely calves”Logan had to admit, if only to himself, how breathtaking she was.

“I think you dropped this.” His deep-timbered voice was smoother than he typically spoke, as he enjoyed the surprised expression on her face.

“Uhm, thank you.” Ororo blinked a couple of times, hardly believing that a (nearly) clean shave and a bath had resulted in the impressive male specimen before her now. He didn’t at all look like the lost, dejected soul she’d met on the beach days before. Dressed in a crisp white, long-sleeved shirt buttoned only up to his collarbone and fitting blue jeans w/ his hiking boots, the man she’d initially thought was homeless looked anything but.

As he stepped up to place the piece of fruit in her hand, a mild electric shock jolted both of them; Logan didn’t think much of it, but Ororo’s cheeks burned beneath her brown skin. She knew that hadn’t been a coincidence really, and was glad he didn’t know of her powers. How awkward would it be to have to explain to this stranger the intricate detail that it was because of her instant attraction to him, and not just static cling?

Logan and Ben turned then, walking away, leaving the surprised beauty utterly speechless in their wake. Ororo looked down at the piece of fruit in her hand, and by sheer happenstance caught the little sticker on it. Rolling her eyes, she chuckled to herself. It was a hybrid: Pineapple, and Passion Fruit, to be exact.

“Ororo?”

She jumped, almost dropping the fruit again, and turned to see Scott walking up to her with Emmett & Monet close in tow. As they loaded up the basket, Ororo turned to them to head back toward the registers.

Several yards away, Logan turned back just once, to see the tall brown-haired man standing very close to her, in an unmistakably possessive way. He put two & two together w/ the teens standing with them, and mentally shrugged. However, he also couldn’t believe he’d run into her again like this; Logan wasn’t a superstitious man, but everything natural in him said this wasn’t just chance.

“Colonel? I said, do you know her?” Ben stopped when Logan had turned back, curious at the older man’s strange behavior.

For a long pause, Logan considered that question honestly. A somber memory passed his mind’s eye, which he sternly brushed back into its place along with the rest of the images that sometimes troubled him late at night. Fixing Ben with an odd stare, he finally answered,




“No.”




TBC…
Choices & Decisions, pt. 3 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #8, Choices and Decisions, pt.3

Southampton; Long Island, NY
July 2nd, 2004
About 7:15 p.m.


As the early evening shadows began to lengthen, the excitement and anticipation around Xavier’s estate was just getting started. The gathered students & adopted children of the well known philanthropist had done their level bests to turn the usually quite beachside mansion into a real party place, complete with decorations of red, white & blue; unopened boxes of fireworks and enough food to feed a small army.

‘Non-party. Riiight…’ Scott shook his head as he surveyed the gluttony of food on the five tables set up outside on the expansive patio. As he watched, Bobby and Emmett were setting up a sixth to use expressly for drinks. All around him the younger students were busy making Charles’ summer home look as festive as possible, and having fun doing it. As he leaned against the patio’s rail, he saw Jubilee, Kitty & Piotr separating some hand-held sparklers into groups, tying them off w/ festively-colored ribbons for later that night, once the real fireworks began down at the public beach.

“This is really shaping up, isn’t it?” Bobby came up beside him, dusting his hands off with a grin.

Scott chuckled, reaching across one of the tables to grab a small handful of chips. Popping a couple into his mouth, he chewed around his response. “Yeah, well I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn’t quite what Charles & Erik had in mind when they approved this little ‘shin-dig’.”

“It isn’t that much, is it?” Bobby looked around them, doubting it before his gaze took in the full extent of the preparations and then reminded himself that most of the food wasn’t even out there yet. Then, he only whistled lowly, stifling a laugh.

Scott nodded. “Yeah, that about sums it up. And I’m not even going to tell you what all this ended up costing at the store.”

“It’s worth it, you’ll see.” Jubilee flew past them, carrying the disposable dinnerware in her arms to the table set up for the drinks. Giving Scott her brightest smile, she piped, “And wait ‘till you taste some of the desserts Ms. Munroe is fixin’ up”This is gonna be the best p”uh, ‘get together’ ever!”

“We’re gonna have a hard time matching this next month,” Bobby chuckled, looking to Scott.

The older man was a little distracted, however, at the mention of Ororo. His red-tinted gaze was aimed in the direction of the back door leading from the patio to the house, where he knew the current object of his affection was coordinating the group’s dessert efforts. His thoughts flashed back to their grocery shopping adventure earlier that day, and how distracted she’d seemed afterwards on the ride home. He’d asked her why she seemed a million miles away, but only managed to get a vague response before having to turn his attention back to the giddy teens behind him, who were trying not to get caught breaking into some of the packaged goodies they’d just bought. Since then, she’d disappeared almost completely, between duties in the kitchen with Mrs. Duvahl and checking up on Charles.


At the mention of her now, Scott found himself headed back in the direction of the delicious smell of baked goods coming from the kitchen, hoping to catch her there.

Inside, Ororo stood at one of the counters, hand-mixing a large bowl of thick yellow liquid. Facing away from the door and the rest of the busy kitchen, she seemed more in deep thought than actually cooking, dressed down in a simple v-neck shirt and jeans. Tied at her neck and waist was her favorite apron, one Marie had gotten her years before that was personally embroidered “Respect The Chef”, complete with a warning lightning bolt stitched within the words.

Unknown to her (and the others were too busy to notice), she’d been whipping that bowl for close to ten minutes, when the directions specifically required only 3. The sudden cramp in her fingers was the only thing that got her attention, and she looked down at the now soupy concoction in her arms, slightly peeved at herself. Setting down the bowl, she wiped her hands on her apron, and reached for the small baking pan that had been set out for her.

She couldn’t seem to get her mind back on track, ever since her run-in with Mr. Nameless at the Emporium. Ororo wasn’t even sure exactly why she couldn’t seem to get her mind off of him. The shock of his admittedly handsome appearance could only be a part of it, she was sure; after all, he wasn’t the first man she’d seen ‘clean up’ well.

As she poured the mixing bowl of batter into the pan, Ororo remembered the piercing, almost intimate way his silver eyes had captured hers; they said something to her, but what exactly, she couldn’t comprehend. It was almost as if he were waiting for her to say something; something more than “Uhm, thank you”.

Setting the pan inside one of the ovens, she resumed leaning against the counter, slowly wiping her hands again. Her eyes glazed over, as she realized that the real thing bothering her, was that in all her years with Charles, all the summer vacations & special occasions at the beach house, this was the first she remembered ever seeing this man”and now, to suddenly come across him 2 times (3 if she counted her attempt to help him clean up) seemed just too much of a coincidence. With a sudden thought, she turned away from the counter to untie the apron.

“Hey, Ororo there you are!”

She turned in some surprise to see Scott walking up behind her, his father’s inherited dazzling smile coming out strongly. He was impeccably dressed in Abercrombie & Finch from head to toe, and even Ro had to admit that he was quite attractive, his hair slightly wind-blown and his crimson glasses reflecting the setting sun’s rays. “Scott?”

He came up to her and without asking moved to help her untie the apron. She tried to dissuade him, but he shooed her hands away, gathering her long white ponytail together and over her shoulder before proceeding. She hushed and allowed him to help, rolling her eyes a little at his fussing over her.

“Making your famous lemon bars? Smells great.”

“I just put them in, Scott.” She gave him a look that she hoped he could read: Stop trying so hard.

Summers only chuckled lightly, his fingers at the small of her back as he untied the knot there, slowly and deliberately. Once done, he leaned in close, confusing Ororo momentarily with his intent gaze, but only to take the apron from around her waist. Stepping back a pace, he folded it neatly in his hands, still looking at her. “’S ‘kay. I know they’ll still be delicious.”

Choosing to ignore the ‘special’ look he was giving her, Ororo smiled appreciatively, as he offered the folded apron to her. “Thank you.”

As she tried to take the bundled cloth, he held onto it, pulling her a step or two closer to him. They stood there with their faces only a few inches apart, as Scott did his level best to rattle her cool cage. For her part, Ororo stood up to his challenge, though her stomach did a small flip at his close proximity.

“No problem.” He almost whispered the words, a smile breaking the corners of his soft lips.

“Scott…?”

“Yeah.”

“Mind letting go of my apron?” She smirked at the flash of disappointment in his eyes. Holding the cloth to her securely, she turned to go, but he reached out quickly to stop her, holding onto her wrist with a loose but suggestive clutch. With a single step, Scott was close enough to her back that she could feel his body heat. Without turning, she lowered her chin for a moment, looking around the room to make sure none of the help was watching, and praying that none of the Family walked in just then.

“Hey, am I going to see you later?”

“I live here, Scott.”

“You know what I mean. I thought we could watch the fireworks together. Maybe go dancing later?” His eyes were bright with anticipation behind his specs, as his words were meant to recall their last late night out.

She swallowed hard, not really wanting to let him down since they’d sort of gotten back to being friends again, but at the same time not willing to forgo the promise she’d made Marie…and herself. Glancing back at him quickly, she replied, “Scott”“

“Hey, just a couple of friends celebrating. Nothing heavy.” He read her tone perfectly.

She seriously doubted his words, listening to the sly seduction behind them. “I don’t know. I’ll probably be all night helping Mrs. Duvahl clean up the mess Jubilation and this party are sure to make. I can’t make you any promises.” ‘Why am I caving??’

He shrugged one shoulder, as if it suddenly didn’t matter, and nodded. “That’s alright. We’ll just play it by ear then, hm? See where the night takes us.”

She shook her head at his mischievous grin, stepping away from him and through the door to the hall leading to the front parlor and the main staircase. She wasn’t prepared to get into another lecture with him”to remind him that they were JUST friends; Ro had too much on her mind, and decided to deal with Scott later, when the moment was sure to re-present itself.


Upstairs in the master bedroom, Charles lay in his bed, fully dressed but for his shoes, which were neatly stationed on the floor, at the side near the foot of the wide mattress. Henry was placing his medical instruments back into his black bag, and then began cleaning up the supplies his father had needed for his evening dose of the TLV cocktail. Feeling a little light-headed and woozy from being a little behind schedule, Charles had opted to take a little breather before going downstairs to join in with the festivities he could sense all around him.

“Thank you, Henry; I’m feeling a little better already.”

In full doctor mode, Hank gently chastised, “You’re going to have to remember these doses exactly, Dad. Erik is going with you to Genosha, but you can’t rely on him all the time.”

“I know, Henry.” Xavier sighed, hearing the concern in his son’s voice along with the chastising of his doctor. He just couldn’t seem to remember all the time; with all the preparations for his trip coming up, he was pressed to get certain things in order before his departure.

Fixing his dad with a sympathetic eye, Hank squeezed his hand in reassurance, deciding to taper his admonishment. “I’ll see you downstairs, alright?”

Charles nodded, relaxing against the pillows. As Dr. McCoy headed to the door, he gave his dad a quick smile, and opened the door”nearly colliding with Ororo, who was just reaching up to knock on it.

“Sorry, Hank…Uh, is everything alright?” Her expression had gone from comical to concerned in the blink of an eye.

Patting her shoulder, the doctor said, “Nothing serious, this time. Just a case of forgetfulness on dad’s part. Maybe if you get after him, he’ll listen up.”

Charles put on a stubborn face at his children, who turned to him with expressions mixed with care and exasperation. Ororo squeezed her brother’s arm, edging him out of the door. “I’ll see what I can do.”

“Before you start”, Charles held up a hand to her as she closed the door, “I’ve already been hounded quite enough by your brother, and I’m sure Erik will be calling any moment from his cell so I may count on another earful.”

She crossed her arms, coming to sit on the bed next to him. “Not that I’m letting you off the hook, but where is Erik? I missed him when we got back earlier.”

“Quick errand to his office in Manhattan.”

“’Quick’? I doubt he’s even going to make it back for the fireworks in the traffic he’s going to find. It couldn’t wait until morning?”

Charles was picking at the thread of his comforter. As she watched him, she suddenly wondered why he needed it in the middle of July; the A/C was on, but was it that cold to him? “Dad, would like me to close the vents in here?”

He looked up at her then, and shook his head. “It’s just a little chilly. Besides, I can just put on a sweater. So, to what do I owe the pleasure? I thought you’d be busy keeping the kids out of trouble and Scott off of your back.”

She nearly did a double take at that, her eyes widening at his remark and a stifled laugh of indignation escaping her full lips. “Dad!”

“Oh, don’t “Dad” me; you kids think I’m some old fuddy-duddy who can’t remember what it was like to be young and restless once upon a time?” His blue eyes twinkled at her shocked expression, and Charles chuckled when he realized she’d gone speechless.
Temporarily.

“I can’t believe even you know about all this. What next: is Erik going to chime in with an opinion?” She settled back against the pillow beside him in mock exasperation.

“I’m sure he has one. Besides, I may be sick but I’m not blind.” He chuckled somberly, waving away her surprise that he could take a joking tone about it. “But that’s beside the point. Obviously, Scott isn’t why you are here. What’s wrong?”

She paused before delving into what she’d come up for, still in shock over her father’s fresh comments. Shaking her head, she chalked it up to the fact that evidently there were some things that even she didn’t know about Charles Xavier, and occasionally, he could still surprise her. Taking a deep breath, she looked him deep in the eyes, and began. “Dad, can you tell me about the people that live around here? The ones I didn’t grow up around as a kid.”

He thought her question odd as it had come out, one eyebrow raised momentarily. “Anyone in particular?”

She felt just a slight tinge of embarrassment for some reason, as she answered, “Actually, yes. There’s a small estate down the beach, heading west. A man lives there; I’ve seen him a couple times; just curious about him.”

Because she’d been looking anywhere but at him, Ororo didn’t notice the piercing gaze her father was giving her. He was listening very intently to her words, and reading between the lines. He wouldn’t scan her mind, so he didn’t quite pick up on the flashes of her memory that went back to the encounter earlier that day, but Charles could tell without his telepathy that there were some unstated emotions beneath her words. “You met someone?”

“No! No, not like that,” Ororo laughed it off, glancing at him quickly several times before regaining her composure. “Well, I kind of ran into him down on the beach several days ago. I think he’s a mutant, but I didn’t ask.”

“Why not?”

As her thoughts went back to that day, she answered honestly, “The opportunity didn’t exactly present itself. I was a little startled, and judging by the reception I got, I don’t think he was in the mood for conversation, exactly.”

“Hm.” Charles seemed deep in thought, continuing to watch her seriously.

“But I ran into him again”today, while we were at the Emporium. Dad, if I didn’t know better…” she trailed off, realizing how silly her statement was going to sound.

“What, Ororo? Go on.” Charles didn’t realize he was holding a breath.

“…nothing. It’s silly. I’m just curious if you know any new families that moved in after I went to college. Does any of this sound familiar?”

Charles chose his words carefully, nodding slowly and meeting her questioning gaze. “I remember a family bought Doc Johnson’s land several years back; probably about the time you were getting your B.A. I think that’s the place you’re talking about.”

She waited for him to continue, but he didn’t. “And? Is that it?”

Charles kept himself from grinning, maintaining his serious expression. “Well, if you’re asking whether we had tea and crumpets every day, the answer’s No. They kept to themselves quite a bit; you have to respect that sort of thing, considering the price of the real estate out here.”

She laughed a little, knowing the privacy was exactly why her father had bought land in this exclusive part of Southampton. She could understand”especially if they were mutants”why they’d want that sort of solitude. “Thanks dad.”

She kissed his cheek endearingly, sliding off the bed and making her way to the door. Charles watched her, his mind indecisive but outwardly his expression unmoved beyond the affection he held for his daughter. “Ororo.”

She turned, smiling back at him. “Yes?”

“….(changing his mind)…I’ll be down in a little while. I can’t wait for some of your famous lemon bars.”

Grinning like a proud little girl, she blew him a kiss, and quietly closed the door behind her. In the room, Charles stared at the dark mahogany for several seconds, a little surprised. He certainly had not expected that line of questioning from Ororo. He couldn’t believe the set of circumstances that had the two of them crossing paths. Charles wondered to himself if he shouldn’t have just told his daughter the entire truth. Considering what happened the last time he’d withheld important information from her, he was revisiting his lack of honesty just then.

The problem was he couldn’t be sure”with everything that was going on in their lives right then”that pushing Ororo in that direction was the best thing to do. Sighing audibly, he laid back against his pillows, closing his eyes for a spell. Charles only wanted what was best for his beloved daughter, but at the same time he certainly didn’t want to see her go through any more hurt than she’d already been dealt in life. Slightly upset with himself and this new development, he spent the next few moments deep in thought. ‘What now?’


At that moment, Logan and Ben were finishing a fulfilling meal, and dumping the used dishes in the dishwasher. They’d eaten mainly in silence; Ben could tell that after they’d gotten back from the market the Colonel had a lot on his mind. He chalked it up to the next day’s meeting with General Ackens, but unbeknownst to the young soldier, Logan’s thoughts were a million miles away from anything having to do with his superior.

“Hey, you plannin’ on seeing any fireworks, Col.?” Ben’s jovial tone was half a question, half a dare.

“Not on yer life, kid.” Logan almost laughed; Ben had to be kidding. Without thinking, he chided, “When ya ever known me to dabble in that kinda shit?”

Ben didn’t answer, as the two men paused together, their thoughts simultaneously traveling back exactly one year, when little Amahra Howlett had seen her last 4th of July display. It was a Wednesday. Ben remembered visiting the little girl there at her favorite place, her parents’ summer home, where he brought her some sparklers and a little Barbie dressed all in Red White & Blue. She could barely contain her excitement, begging her mother to let her go outside once it was dark, to light up the sparklers and watch the fireworks.

Ben could recall the sad expression in Jean’s eyes, as she carried her sick little girl upstairs to get dressed in a festive outfit, and watch the display with her family one last time. He also remembered the look of pure joy on the child’s face, as her father later lit two of the sparklers in her clinched fist, and they came to life before her face, even as the light was fading from her own eyes.

It was the happiest Ben had seen Amahra in some time. It was the last time he’d seen her alive. She died a few short weeks later.

Looking up, Ben Campbell watched the colonel’s back as Howlett stood in front of the dishwasher, his hand hovering over the button to start it. He’d been sorry to bring it up, but didn’t make any apologies; he knew it was too late for that, anyway. “Uhm, sir, I’m gonna head on out”“

Logan nodded quickly, still not facing him, but turning the dial so the dishes started. He didn’t trust himself to respond; he just let Ben go, waiting until he heard the front door close and the car out front start before he let go of the death-grip he’d had on the counter top.

With a cold bottle of his favorite beer and a fresh cigar in hand, Logan took to the back steps, facing the quiet surf at the back of his property. He didn’t want to think about Amahra right then, but he couldn’t help it. Sitting on a step about halfway down, he lit the cigar and tossed the match to the sand below. After a long drag, he leaned back, his gaze glazing over as memories danced behind his eyes, fighting for attention. He couldn’t get the painful expression that had marred her impish features as she lay dying in his arms out of his head, until suddenly, and without warning, his daughter’s face was replaced with that of another’s. Jean’s beautiful countenance melded with Amahra’s, as the striking similarities between mother and daughter were obvious. Her expression was one more of sympathy than pain or anger, and it made Logan uneasy.

After a moment, he saw her face suddenly erupt into infectious laughter, and she reached down to pluck the now energetic sprite from her feet, kissing the little girl’s cheek with an intimacy that could only result from a mother’s love.

Uncomfortably, he watched the mental images of his ex-wife and his daughter re-materialize before him on the sand only a few yards away. They were dressed similarly in bathing suits, Jean’s a two-piece modest bikini and their little girl in the same green color, but a single-piece with cute white ruffles. Amahra’s dark red curls bounced in the air as she chased her mom around the beach with an inflated crab water toy. Like a movie reel that he didn’t know how to control, the memory blinked before him as the two ghosts splashed down into the water, whipping up the frothy surf at each other and squealing in glee.

Turning away from the ocean, Logan felt his eyes suddenly itch and burn, but attributed it to the smoke of his cigar, as it curled before his face. Blinking furiously, he turned back to the water, where it was quiet once more, save for the occasional lapping of water as the tide came in. Tipping the bottle of booze back with the same hand that held his cigar, Logan took a long gulp, some of the beer rolling down his chin. He closed his eyes to the image of the ghosts and the surf, taking no comfort from either one.

Suddenly, he rose from his perch, leaving his bottle on the step and flicking his cigar in the sand at his feet as he started walking. Away from the house, away from the reel of memories that refused to let him go. He didn’t really know where to go, but Away seemed like a good idea at the time…


TBC…
Choices & Decisions, pt. 4 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #9, Choices and Decisions, pt.4

Southampton, The Xavier Estate
July 2nd, 2004


The “non” party was in full swing, after Bobby had brought out a portable stereo to blast some fast-paced tunes at them. Some of the guests were enjoying the music and/or dancing on the patio, while others were down below on the beach, trying to figure out the fireworks Jubilee had gotten from the Emporium. The spunky teen was warned by more than one adult not to take matters into her own hands”literally. With her explosive mutation, Jubes was sure to have some sort of delusions of grandeur about being a pyrotechnic expert; with her track record for disasters, however, the older guests were more concerned that she could manage to find some way to burn the house down.

At the moment, Piotr and Scott were down there monitoring the preparation for the display, keeping a close eye on their resident ‘firecracker’. Above them, Bobby had his hands full with Marie and Beth, who were more than willing to burn up the impromptu dance floor with him. As Brian and Hank watched from the sidelines, the young man grinned with boyish glee as the two attractive sisters danced around him to the music.


I'm the kind of brotha
Who been doin' it my way
Gettin' my way for years
In my career
And every lover
In a normal life
I've hit, loved and left in tears
Without a care
Until I met this girl who turned the tables around
She caught me by surprise
I never thought I'd be the one breaking down
I can’t figure it out why…



As the trio laughed loudly, dragging Hank and Brian into their dance party, Scott looked up just in time to see Ororo come out of the door. His breath caught in his chest as he stood up from the kneeling position he’d been in previously. Shamelessly he watched her descend the ramp, looking around herself at the gathered party before her.


I'm so
Caught up
Got me feelin' it
Caught up
I don't know what it is
But it seems she’s got me twisted
I'm so
Caught up
Got me feelin' it
Caught up
I'm losin' control
This girl’s got a hold on me



Scott’s footsteps led him to the base of the patio’s stairway, as he came for a closer look”despite the objections of Jubilee and a couple of the other kids waiting for him to finish the fireworks set up. His attention, however, was decidedly elsewhere.

Her London jeans were a darker blue than her eyes, and hugged every delicious curve as they rode her shapely hips down to flare out just below the calf. A pale yellow, silk charmeuse cami hugged her full breasts, but flickered open just above the navel, flashing a smooth, tight abdomen at the wind’s whim. There was a small ponytail of curled hair at her crown, while the rest of her silken tresses fell in waves around her shoulders and down her back.

He watched speechlessly as a brief wind caressed her bare shoulders, lifting her hair up to dance a moment before she brushed most of it behind her shoulders. As she came up to Marie and Brian, who were closest to her, she graced them with one of her natural, dazzling smiles, laughing at something her sister had said.

“Yo, Mr. Summers..! Earth to The Captain…” Jubilee peeked around his shoulder to see exactly had gotten his attention, and an evil grin broke out over her teenaged face, even as Scott apparently still didn’t hear her, and started walking away toward the patio.

Emmett rushed forward to stop him, but Jubes yanked the guy by his arm, whispering sharply, “Hey, hold on; we ain’t missin’ the real fireworks just yet.”

Above, Ro thanked her sisters for the compliments on he wardrobe, and dolled out several in response. The three stood a few feet away from the men as Hank thankfully escaped the dance floor once more, and Brian moved away only momentarily to retrieve some drinks. Bobby was the only male left in close proximity to their conversation, and he stood there listening with no shame, and also strategically blocking their view of Scott as he came up the winding steps.

Consequently, Ro didn’t notice his presence until he was practically on top of her. “Hey there Ro…”

She turned, smiling up at him in a polite but platonic way; the wind chose just that moment, however, to rise up slightly, lifting her hair as well as the bottom tails of her shirt. Unbothered, she captured a long strand behind her ear as she gazed up at him. “Hey Scott. Having a good time?”

He tried to ignore the somewhat ordinary tone she took with him, and turned on the charm, gesturing to their party surroundings. “Pretty good turnout, hm? Looks like we got everything just right.”

“Looks that way.”

“You and I are a great team. I want to thank you for helping to wrangle the kids earlier today at the store.” He leaned against the rail behind her, never taking his eyes off of her.

Behind them, Marie was sipping a plastic cup of something sweet when she overheard his last comment, and nearly spit it on his back as she choked. Beth slapped her gently between the shoulder blades as Marie sputtered, “(cough) And Ah guess the rest a’us were just window shoppin’.”

Beth poked her sister’s arm, stifling a chuckle. Nearby, Scott pretended like he hadn’t heard that, continuing to give Ororo an appreciative once (or twice) over. “Hey, by the way, you look”“

AAAAIIIEEEEE!!

The gathered adults on the patio reacted, all heads turning to the beach just a few yards away, as a group of the younger students who’d been standing in a close circle moments before suddenly dispersed like cockroaches in a Raid commercial. Only a split second later, a fury of lights, sparks and color erupted from the spot they’d been standing, as the unmistakable sound of small fireworks reverberated in the air.

As the youngsters dove for cover, a couple errant lights sailed over the patio, sending the older partygoers ducking beneath the refreshment tables. After the noises stopped, Scott stood up immediately. “Is everyone alright?”

A chorus in the affirmative greeted him, and it was all he needed to turn his attention to searching the surprised guests for the culprit. “Jubilee!!”

Guilt written all over her face, the spunky teen lifted her head from the sand where she, Kitty & Monet had huddled together. After a second where it was clear she wasn’t getting away with anything, she slowly rose, taking a step toward the patio before stopping dead in her tracks, her eyes widening.

“What in the world”“ Scott’s face was flustered as he came to stand at the rail, damn-near hanging over it as he began to lay into her.

“Uh, M-Mr. Summers…”

“”were you thinking?! You could’ve really”“

“Mr. Summers”“ Jubilee tentatively pointed past him, but Scott wasn’t done ripping her a new one, so he was hardly in a mood to pay attention.

“Scott!” Ororo grabbed him by the arm, forcing him to turn around and see the patio umbrella behind them, which had just recently caught ablaze from a runaway spark. In a sudden panic, Bobby threw out his hands and a blanket of ice shot out toward the parasol”just as Ororo had called up a gust of wind, which picked up the charred patio accessory and sent it flying over the other side of the rail into beach sand beyond…Complete with the table it had been attached to.

A dead silence followed, as the gathered members rushed to the opposite side of the patio to watch the charred remains of the deck ornament.

“I thought I heard some fireworks,” Charles’ voice surprised them from the ramp door of the back of the house. As his family turned wide eyes to him, he ignored the psychic chaos hammering him and asked coolly, “Did I miss anything?”

His casual demeanor was met with a cacophony of laughter as he joined them. Behind the group, Jubes cringed despite the levity, wishing (not for the first time) to switch powers with her good friend Kitty.


Several hours after, at a sort of hole-in-the-wall place just before you hit the ferry to the mainland was a quaint little bar that sometimes fancied itself a nightspot, depending on the clientele. It wasn’t too rundown”this was Long Island, after all”but neither was it one of the upscale hotspots usually associated with the bold & beautiful heirs and heiresses of the Island’s elite. More to the point, it’s where the rich came to slum it, and the not-so-rich came to avoid the rich, if that made any sense. Needless to say, the folks that frequented this place were an eclectic bunch, who most times respected each other’s reasons for being there, if they didn’t necessarily agree with them.

That sense of neutrality was due largely to the place’s proprietor, Malcolm Hunter. “Mac”, as he preferred to be called, took no nonsense from trouble makers; he didn’t have to hire bouncers, though, because his 6’ 6” frame of hard muscles and piercing blue eyes got the job done on more than one occasion. Of course, the imposing double-barreled shotgun hanging from the back of the bar also helped.

Standing behind the counter at that moment, he was wiping some shot glasses dry as he kept an eye on a small group of celebrators in the corner, who’d obviously not wanted the holiday to end. Not far away on the impromptu stage, a local band that frequented the bar was taking requests, keeping the mood in constant party status.

Turning to the quiet body before him at the bar, Mac snorted, “Sorry bout all the noise t’night, man. You know how it gets ‘round here on holidays.”

Throwing one back, Logan only shrugged. He and Mac had been through this sort of thing a lot in the past year, since Logan had become a regular at Lolita’s. (Named after his beloved mother, Mac had toyed with changing the name for a short time, after he started getting prank calls and stupid requests for interviews following a certain highly publicized incident twelve years prior…)

At any rate, Logan barely gave the partiers around him a second glance, as he kept to himself and continued to put down shots of whiskey. It burned only for a second as it went down, and though he’d started on his second bottle, and intuitive Mac knew a long time ago that Logan was a mutant”one of some special ability to take large amounts of liquor, so he wasn’t that concerned with stopping his patron’s somewhat vain attempt to get whatever was bothering him off of his mind.

Moving away to tend to another couple who’d just come up to the bar, Mac left Logan alone with his thoughts. He’d initially thought it was a good idea to get away from the house for a little while, come to Lola’s (his nickname for the joint) and toss a few away w/ the owner, who often managed to distract him with some inane conversation, but after he’d gotten there his mood didn’t seem to improve the least bit, despite Mac’s best efforts.

Sighing heavily, Logan poured another shot of whiskey and threw his head back sharply as he took it down. When he opened his eyes again and looked into the reflective mirror behind the bar, his drink nearly caught in his throat, causing him to choke a little as he watched the group at the door just coming in.

His still-sharp grey eyes fixed on the tall, white-haired beauty immediately, as she was crowded by her friends, all laughing at some private joke as the four guys accompanying the three women took their jackets. He couldn’t help but laugh to himself sardonically; even if he’d believed it a coincidence before, he was sure as hell not gonna be that naïve now.

Just as he’d seen at the grocery store, the taller brown-haired man beside her was ever vigilant, his hand at the small of her back the whole way to their booth. Logan’s eyebrow raised at his red-tinted glasses, but otherwise didn’t pay too much attention to them; he could tell they were all mutants, especially the young blue-skinned man with the tail who didn’t seem the least bit aware of some of the looks he was getting. ‘Hrmph. Why ain’t I surprised?’

Across the bar, Ororo & company settled into their seats, chatting the whole time as the server came up to get their order. The young woman gave Kurt a wink as she asked him what he wanted, causing the young man to blush beneath his dark navy skin. Bobby elbowed him beneath the table as the girl left, giving him the ‘go-ahead’ look.

“Ah can’t b’lieve ya’ll talked me inta this place,” Marie crossed her arms at the somewhat quaint surroundings of the dive, used to much more upscale surroundings in a nightspot, like Club Space or Brazil.

Chuckling, Ororo gave Scott a private look, knowing that his suggestion of this particular spot was meant as a joke between them. Squeezing Marie’s shoulder, she replied, “Give the place a chance, Marie; I think you’ll like it by the time we leave.”

To that, her sister only huffed, giving Scott a completely murderous glare for a moment; she knew exactly what the significance of this place was, and didn’t appreciate her sister’s cool acceptance of Scott’s attempt to drag them all down memory lane in some lame attempt to get in Ororo’s good graces. “Ah sincerely doubt it, Sug.”

As their drinks came, the band was gearing up to take another request from a patron; the speakers hummed for a second as they began the intro to a popular new dance song they were famous for covering. Recognizing the beat, some of the young mutants moved to the rhythm in their seats as they continued to talk. They were having too much fun to notice they were being investigated.

Across the room, Logan watched them a little longer, unsure himself why he couldn’t seem to keep his peepers off of the woman he’d been mysteriously running into so often lately. Watching their reflection in the mirror, he found his brows furrowing at the obvious interest her male companion showed. He couldn’t put his finger on what it was about the guy that left a bad taste in his mouth (and no, he wasn’t confusing it with the whiskey). Shaking his head a little at his own odd behavior, he returned his attention to the depths of his mind and the emptiness of his glass, lowering his gaze from the group’s excited movements.

Several minutes later, Scott excused himself, getting lost in the sea of bodies on the dance floor. He’d been cryptic and vague about his destination, but Ororo hadn’t been too concerned. As she giggled from the Cosmo in her hands at something silly Bobby had said, she heard the song ending from the stage, and the bar was temporarily quieted.

Marie took that opportunity to swat Bobby’s arm, jerking her head toward Kurt. “Hey Mister, when’re you gonna stop tryin’ ta get yer buddies hooked up and get yer own girl?”

With a purely devilish grin, the guy leaned in over the table to fix Marie with an appreciative once over, murmuring, “When’re you gonna get off “Gumbo” and start looking for a real man?”

As Marie sat back, temporarily speechless, the table erupted in hoots and chuckles. Ororo patted her sister’s leg, yet still laughing, as she watched Marie’s cheeks turn bright red at Robert’s suggestive stare.

“Hey, We got a request for somethin’ just a bit older, so youse guys grab a girl and have a little fun t’somethin a bit different!” The lead singer gave a thumb’s up to Scott as he turned away.

Suddenly, Ororo put down her drink as she heard a familiar tune start by the band. Her eyes brightened tremendously as she instantly recalled the number, and looked around. It only took her a couple seconds to spy Scott coming her way, gesturing to her already. “No he didn’t.”

The others looked up, mostly unaware of the significance, as Scott reached their table, and offered his hand out Ororo to stand. “May I have this dance?”

As they stepped onto the dance floor, they could feel the quick, deep drumbeats in their chests, initially sounding like a big-band era track. It had a catchy rhythm, and the lead vocalist of the no-name band did a wonderful job mimicking the faux-60s sound of the original performer.

Scott spun Ororo out to his arm’s length, then pulled her back in as the song got underway. “Remember this one?”

She grinned at him as memories of being sixteen flooded her mind; this song had been a favorite of theirs at that age, and she remembered dancing to it in a light, flowing skirt when it'd been played at Scott’s prom.


Sing your life
Any fool can think of words that rhyme
Many others do
Why don't you?
Do you want to?
Oh...

Sing your life
Walk right up to the microphone
And name
All the things you love
All the things that you loathe
Oh, sing your life
The things that you love
And the things you loathe
Oh, sing your life
Oh, sing your life



She had to admit that Scott Summers had not lost his impeccable dance steps; one of the things about him few knew outside the close-knit group they were with right then. Their imitation of a sock-hopping couple got a few appreciative looks, and soon others joined in on the dance floor.


La, la-la, la-la, sing your life
La, la-la, la-la, sing your life
Others sang your life
But now is a chance to shine
And have the pleasure of
Saying what you mean
Have the pleasure of
Meaning what you sing
Oh, make no mistake my friend
All of this will end

So sing it now (sing your life)
All the things you love (sing your life)
All the things you loathe
Oh, sing your life
The things that you love
And the things you loathe (sing your life)
Oh, sing oh...
Oh, sing oh...



If the simple little bar had had a spot light it surely would’ve been cast upon the two, who by now had gotten most of the patrons involved in dancing to the infectious tune or gathered on the sidelines to watch them.

Even Bobby managed to drag a less-than-willing Marie onto the floor, squeezing her leather-gloved hands as he held her close in an adaptation of The Charleston. Rogue was surprised more from his gentleness than his sure feet on the floor. The sometimes-pompous always skirt-chasing Pre-Med student was going to show the haughty belle a thing or two about men.

“Well, ya don’t see that everyday, do ya?” Mac chuckled, stopping from wiping down the bar, going around Logan who seemed a million miles away. As the colonel looked up, puzzled, Mac gestured to the dancers behind him.

“Those kids look too damn young t’know that kind’a dancing, man. That shit’s old as I am, practically.” He chuckled, admiring their ode to happy days.

Logan looked up in the mirror, unable to see through the crowd initially. All of a sudden, he got a glimpse of bright white, then someone moved into his way. A couple seconds later it reappeared, and he recognized it as long, thick locks of the woman’s hair, as her partner twirled her around.

Turning in his chair, Logan’s gaze seemed to part the onlookers, who just happened to move from obstructing his view. Her shapely body moved easily to the music, and Logan soon found himself really looking at her, and liking what he saw.


La, la-la, la-la, sing your life
La, la-la, la-la, sing your life
Don't leave it all unsaid
Somewhere in the wasteland of your head, oh
Head, oh, head, oh, head, oh

And make no mistake, my friend
Your pointless life will end
But before you go
Can you look at the truth?
You have a lovely singing voice
A lovely singing voice
And all of those
Who sing on key
They stole the notion
From you and me

So, sing your life (sing your life)
Sing your life (sing your life)
Oh, sing your oh...
Oh, sing your
Sing your life
Sing your life
Sing your life



As the song faded and the crowd cheered and applauded the dancers and band alike, Logan saw the slim man by her side graciously bow to her, and she dipped her head at him, her face beaming with a wide, beautiful smile as she laughed in exhaustion. Waving a little sheepishly at their audience, she turned then and by purest chance had a direct line of sight straight to the bar, where she caught Logan’s eye.

When she looked at him, Logan was mildly surprised; not because of the distance, but because of the beat his pulse skipped. Her eyes widened as well, her smile still there, but different now. Wordlessly, he lifted his shot glass, toasting her performance also, and nodded just once. She bowed her head in return, but was then distracted as Scott stood close behind her, his hand at her back once more.

Logan turned back to his drink, but not fast enough that he didn’t miss the man’s re-appearance. He wasn’t looking for any trouble that night, despite his rotten mood (a fight usually got the demons off his back a little while), so he decided he wasn’t going to find out what that smile meant.

Unaware, Scott got Ororo to turn around, beaming down at her. “You haven’t lost a step, Ro.”

“Neither have you,” She smiled up at him, but her mind was elsewhere. “Scott, do me a favor? Order another Cosmo for me; I’ll be right back.”

His expression was clearly puzzled, but he nodded, squeezing her hand before disappearing back toward their table. Once she was sure he was gone, Ororo turned back around to the bar, but the seat was now empty. Her eyes darted toward the door on instinct, and saw the man’s back as he headed to the exit.

Rushing forward through the people, she had to stretch her long legs in order to catch up to him. She didn’t want to call out ‘hey you!’, and risk being heard by her friends. Just as his hand reached out to grab the door, she called, “Leaving so soon?”

Logan had felt a presence behind him, but didn’t want to startle her too much by whirling around at her. He stopped in his tracks, and just barely turned his head enough to be able to see her out of the corner of his eye. With a crooked grin he responded, “What, savin’ the last dance fer me?”

Ororo completed the distance between them, and stood there in front of this man suddenly feeling very self-conscious. Maybe it was the fact that she really didn’t do things like this to strangers, or maybe it was the Cosmos…Or maybe it was the way he was looking at her now…

“I think my sock-hop days are over,” she amended, then raised her eyes to his once more; a chill running down her spine at his close gaze. “It’s just…well when I saw you there, I thought since we keep running into each other, I might as well introduce myself. My father did teach me to have better manners.”

His face actually changed when she said the word ‘father’, but Ororo mistook its meaning that maybe he had no intention of actually dispensing pleasantries. Unsure of herself, she almost took a step back then, but his hand moved to wipe the back leg of his jeans and then came forward, extended toward her.

She took it, and felt the little charge, but spoke over it. “Hi. I’m Ororo.”

“Logan.” He held back the smile from feeling the mild current go up his arm, raising the hairs there. He didn’t need to know what that meant; and besides, Logan could fairly sense the curiosity rolling off of her. He held her deep blue gaze for a moment; she couldn’t know that he was trying hard to figure her out, and why she’d decided to come up to him.

“Well, um, I don’t want to keep you…” She broke their handshake, looking a little uneasy then, “…but it was nice, finally, to meet you. I mean, meet you meet you.” ‘Agh, untie that tongue, girl!’

He just barely grinned at her lack of articulateness. “Yeah, same here.”

As Logan turned for the door, he felt himself turning back around and in a voice he didn’t recognize said, “Maybe I’ll see you around.”

It was the opening she’d been looking for, and Ororo held up a hand to stay him a moment longer. “Actually, if you don’t mind, I’d like to see you again”“

He looked back at her sharply.

“”uhm, I mean, I may be in a position to help you. And not just cleaning, this time.” She sort of chuckled to herself.

Logan had absolutely no idea what she could mean by that, but he was definitely intrigued. He couldn’t help but be curious about this woman; he though he was figuring her out, but she kept changing the game on him every time they ran into each other. Her motives were just as mysterious as his own in this respect, but since he didn’t sense any danger coming from her, he thought maybe he could indulge the itch (of curiosity) he was feeling right then. Raising a brow, he asked, “Do I look like I need help?”

She wasn’t sure at all if he was joking or not, and her confused expression told him so. “Maybe I didn’t say that correctly…”

He crossed his arms, waiting. Inwardly he was laughing his ass off, watching her fidget like that. Logan wasn’t really the type to give you a lifeline in these sorts of situations, and besides, he thought she looked even cuter all flustered and at a loss for words.

“Goddess, I feel like I’m making a fool of myself.” She muttered, glancing at him.

Logan’s eyes softened a bit at that admission, and he cocked his head at her. He could tell she seemed confused about something”something that had to do with him, but he wasn’t about to get into it right then and there. Stepping a foot closer to her, he said lowly, “Nothin’ foolish in honesty, darlin’…I’ll see ya ‘round.”

His gaze sort of caressed her before he stuck a cigar between his lips, turned and disappeared through the door. Ororo was a little shocked in his wake, realizing that his last words had been more of a certainty than a wish.

She stood there staring at the now closed door for several seconds, willing her heart to stop racing, but enjoying every second of it. Ororo couldn’t understand her complete attraction to this man; the physical part was rather obvious”he was fine as hell, in a rugged, ‘Marlboro’ sort of way”but there was something underlying there she couldn’t quite place. Since their first encounter she kept getting the feeling he was expecting her to say something specific to him, but she had no idea what that was. So she had the feeling that they just kept dancing around each other.

She chewed her bottom lip in thought, as she remembered the way he’d looked at her when she mentioned her father. There was sadness there”and something else she couldn’t place. Narrowing her eyes, Ororo decided right then and there, she needed to find out why this Logan affected her so; she was sure that Little Voice inside her head would get no ultimate rest ‘till she did.


Walking back toward his beachside property, Logan pulled a long drag from the cigar, deep in thought. He couldn’t believe he’d actually had yet another run in with the girl. He was shaking his head, but found himself smiling at her energy, her curious nature…and the pretty package they were wrapped up in.

Chiding himself for that thought, he had to admit”if only to himself as he walked away in the dark”that she was probably the first woman he’d thought of in that way, since he & Jean had split up. ‘Well rest assured, Bub; ‘soon as she finds out the truth, that’ll prob’ly change.’



TBC…
Something New, pt. 1 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #10, Something New, pt.1

Xavier Estate, Southampton
July 3rd, 2004
8 a.m.


Charles looks up from his desk littered with papers, as a firm knock comes to the door of his downstairs study. He knows who it is, but still appreciates the respect of privacy the knock signified. ‘Come in, Erik.’

Quietly slipping in, Xavier’s long-time friend carried a large black briefcase with him as he came up to the desk. He noticed Charles glance at it but not show too much emotion facially. “I’m sorry I couldn’t make it last night, Charles. The traffic”“

“I can imagine. That’s alright, though; you didn’t miss much…” There was an odd little smile at the corners of his mouth as Charles said this, and Erik’s somewhat worried expression plainly said he really, really didn’t want to know.

“Well, at any rate, here’re the papers we talked about. I faxed them over to Sean late last night, and just like you said, he was up early enough to get them back to me before I left this morning.” Erik popped the shiny ebony case open and rifled through it momentarily as he spoke.

Charles reached out a hand, accepting the tan-colored folder. He simply stared at it for a moment before sighing a little, and opening it up to sift through its contents absently. Quietly, Erik watched him, reading the internal dialogue Charles was surely having.

When Xavier reluctantly closed the folder, Erik murmured, “Did you get a chance to talk to her about it?”

Charles shook his head, still looking at the folder, then set it apart from the rest of the mess on his desk before answering, “No. I didn’t want to get into it at the celebration last night, and they didn’t get back afterwards until it was rather late, so I decided to let her get some sleep.”

Erik gave Charles an expression that clearly said he thought that was a cop-out, but his tone was somewhat sympathetic. “You’ve got to talk to Ororo before we leave, Charles; you only have another couple of weeks.”

“I know that, Erik.” His tone was perhaps a little harsher than intended, but that only told Magnus how fatigued his friend really was.

“Is it that you think she won’t agree to it?”

“No, it’s not really that. I just don’t want to remind her that her father is dying by bringing this up; especially now.”

Erik’s brow rose as Charles slowly wiped his face in a tired way. “What’s that supposed to mean? What happened?”

Charles shook his head, a hand motioning absently in some measure of disbelief. “Nothing…yet. But I’ll get into that in a moment. Let me sign the papers first, and I’ll tell you everything.”



Upstairs, where it is still quiet, not too many of the visiting guests to Xavier’s have risen to the morning yet. The halls are too quiet, as the early morning shadows barely peek through windows and curtains, caressing slumbering forms to rise.

Knock-Knock-Knock.

Ororo rolled over onto her belly, peering out from beneath a down pillow. Her lithe brown body was hopelessly wrapped up in a series of sheets on the king-sized bed, and sometime during the night her satin band had made its way off of her ponytail, so her hair was wild all over her shoulders and head, partially in her eyes. She blinked several times; still groggy and believing she’d imagined that horrible interruption.

As her slightly red-rimmed blue eyes finally focused on the sunlight filtering in across the room through the French-style doors of her private terrace, she heard it again, only a little more persistent.

‘Oh, for heaven’s sake…’ She grabbed the pillow, squeezing it over her face as she groaned before calling out, “Yes..?

The knob turned quietly, and her younger sister’s face appeared from behind the mahogany door. Upon seeing Ororo’s body stir on the bed, she slid inside, closing the door and bouncing over to her. “Yer not up yet?”

“No Marie…I most certainly am not.” She pulled the pillow down, her expression a mix of surprise & jealous annoyance at her sister’s wide-eyed exuberance. She couldn’t understand how peppy Marie was, considering they hadn’t gotten back from club-hopping until well after 3 a.m.

Landing hard on the bed beside her, Marie chuckled as Ororo let out a faint groan, rolling away to vainly try burying herself deeper in the bed linens. Pulling her protective pillow away, Marie grinned at Ororo’s murderous look. Her eyes sparkled with impish glee as she said excitedly, “Well…?”

Ororo turned back to her, looking over her shoulder quizzically for a moment before answering, “Hmm? What?”

“Oh, don’t ‘hmm, what’ me, Sugah; spill it.”

Fully facing her, Ororo’s look was genuinely curious. “Marie, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.”

Lightly smacking Ororo with the stolen pillow, Marie huffed, “Yeah ya do. Who is he?”

A look of mild shock registered on Ro’s face as her mind suddenly cleared, and she got an idea who Marie was talking about. “H-How did you”?”

(laughs) Ah guess you were too distracted by rugged good looks to r’member your telepathic sistah. Although, Betts kept it to herself for a minute, ‘till I dragged her inta’ the ladies’ room to spill it.” Marie was giving Ororo this weird look, her eyes shining like a kid at Christmas…or a nosy schoolgirl about to get the scoop of the century.

Sitting up against the headboard, Ororo tried to organize her thoughts; some of her memories from the night before were still hazy (she made a mental note to lay off the Cosmopolitans when she went out from now on). With a narrowed gaze, she evaluated Marie. “Okay, lemme get this straight; I meet a guy and you’re the one acting ‘sprung’??”

Marie laughed at Ororo’s use of slang, pointing to her. “Ah-ha! So you did meet somebody! Ah told Beth it couldn’a ’been that innocent.”

Ororo put her hand up to her head, covering her eyes for a moment as she asked, “Please don’t tell me you were all watching?”

“No…unfortunately. Scott could’a done well t’turn around an’ get a look, though.” She muttered, her gaze falling off for a second.

“Marie! That’s not why I was talking to”you know, I’m not getting into this with you.” Ororo stood up, going toward the bathroom as she desperately tried to end the line of questioning.

“Whoa, whoa-whoa…” Marie turned her body to follow Ororo’s movements, “ya can’t leave me hangin’ like that”what’s his name? How’d ya meet? Where’s he from?”

She could hear a loud groan from her sister in the bathroom. Ororo splashed water on her face to wake her fully, and took her time toweling dry before she re-emerged at the door. Fixing Marie with a look, she said “You know, I’ve got some questions for you too, girl. For starters, why you and Robert seemed joined at the hip after we left Lolita’s.”

“…” Marie turned her head a little, looking out the doors to the terrace as she whistled softly.

“Uh huh, just what I thought.” Ororo tossed the hand towel back into the bathroom, and came out to the bed. Settling against the stack of pillows, she shook her head at Marie. “What’s good for the goose, little sister.”

Rolling her eyes, Marie lifted her shoulders like a child who’d been caught in the cookie jar. “What kin Ah say? We were havin’ fun. We’ve known Bobby fer years, Ro. It’s nothin’.”

“He’s cute, ambitious, loves to party just as much”or more than”you do, and he isn’t Remy.” She ticked off the points on her fingers, watching Marie’s reaction to each one.

“Well, when ya put it like that…” Marie responded sarcastically.

Ororo laughed a little, leaning over to lay a hand on her sister’s knee. “Doesn’t feel good to get the third degree, does it?”

Her eyes softening, Marie amended, “Sorry, Sug. I just got a little over-excited at the prospect of Scott gettin’ kicked to the curb, is all. Won’t happen a’gin.”

Chuckling even harder, Ororo corrected, “Scott isn’t getting kicked anywhere; he’d have to still be in the house to get kicked out to the curb.”

“Good.”

“Besides,” Ororo smirked at Marie’s comment, “This isn’t about Scooter. This guy…he’s…”

Marie watched, as Ororo reached for the words, but seemed to come up empty. She waited patiently, carefully watching her sister’s reaction to this mysterious stranger. A guy Ororo admitted to barely knowing was twisting her tongue up in knots? ‘This must be serious.’

Finally giving in, Ororo lowered her gaze to her hands, as she focused on examining her fingernails. “…I don’t know, Marie. I don’t know. I mean, he’s hot”anyone can see that”but when he looks at me, I just…Just, you know??”

Marie couldn’t help a sympathetic chuckle at her lack of articulation. “What was that you were sayin’ about being ‘sprung’?”

Giving up trying to express herself, Ororo turned on her side, wondering why her mind seemed to go into a temporary lapse whenever she thought about Logan. “There’s some kind of…of connection”that’s the word I’m looking for. But I don’t know why.”

“Yer drawn to ‘im.” Marie studied her face; it was a statement rather than a question.

“Yes…I am.” Ororo whispered it like it was a secret. She suddenly looked up at her sister, and could feel her face warm in embarrassment. It had been quite a while since she and Marie had had conversations like this. Usually it was Marie doing all of the spilling (of course about Remy or some jerk she was trying to get to take LeBeau’s place) and ‘Ro doing the listening. She liked being the sympathetic ear, the ‘older, wiser sister’ much better than the patient on the couch.

“So,” Marie’s voice broke through, “When are ya gonna see him a’gin?”

Giving that some thought, Ro’s expression changed to uncertainty. “I think that’s going to be up to him.”



About an hour later, Logan opened up his front door to the faces of General Jason Ackens and Nathaniel Wallace, from the Pentagon. Neither man was exactly sure what to expect upon actually seeing the colonel in person after so long, but their surprised expressions told Logan a lot. He could see their relief that he hadn’t opened the door in a wife-beater and dirty sweatpants with his hair down his back.

“Wallace. Jase.” Logan almost never addressed the Gen. by his title unless they were in the presence of ranked inferiors, and this time was no exception. He stepped to the side to allow them entrance to the foyer, and both calmly went past him.

“Logan.”

“Colonel.” Wallace was all business as he preceded the General, shamelessly looking around the house as he entered; almost as if he expected to see something horrific.

Closing the door, Logan led the way into his study”which still housed books bought mostly by Jean and some that had belonged to Amahra. He didn’t use the room much”then or now”but thought it would look more professional than the living room or kitchen. Turning to them after gesturing seats, he asked, “Get ya something to drink?”

Both men declined, but inwardly Jason was pleased with Logan’s performance thus far; he just hoped it was a genuine one, and he hadn’t put some serious credibility w/ his higher-ups on the line for nothing. “No thanks, Logan. We’re not going to be here that long.”

Logan’s brow came up at that; he was expecting a lot of questions. “Oh?”
“It’s not what you think.” Wallace raised a hand to steer Logan’s thoughts away from any negative conclusions.

Logan looked at the man, almost asking in his most sarcastic tone just what the pencil-necked moron thought he was thinking. The flash of attitude disappeared almost as quickly as it had come up, though; he knew enough to keep his mouth shut until they explained themselves. Then if he didn’t like what they said, he could let his gums go flappin’.

Ackens glanced between the two, having realized a long time ago that Logan’s fuse was short, but especially with anyone not directly inside the ranks of the DoD’s* covert ops. division “Section X”. Meeting with a Pentagon official had been a stipulation, however; along with some other terms. “Logan, we’re not here to jerk your chain or nothin’. You requested to be put back on active duty; specifically the Creed file.”

“Yeah. And?” Logan watched Jason warily.

“Well, through no small feat a’ beggin’, pleadin’ and other negotiation tactics, I managed to get you back in”“

Logan’s body visibly relaxed, and he settled back against the chair he’d been sitting in.

“”provided some assurances from your end.”

“’Assurances’? What the hell does that mean?” Logan went stiff again; he was smelling a big ol’ “But” in there somewhere.

When Ackens paused for a breath, Wallace spoke up, giving the General a glance. “Well, first of all Colonel, you’ve been out on sick leave for almost a year, so we’ll have to have your field readiness re-evaluated, along with clearances from Dr. Gonzalez.”

“I don’t need any tests, Jase.” Logan ignored Wallace, fixing his gaze on his superior and comrade of many years. “And if I wanted someone pokin’ ‘round my head again, I’d still be married ta Jean.”

“Logan…” Ackens started, but Wallace had had enough.

“This isn’t a negotiable ‘request’, Col. Howlett; these are the terms for your re-instatement and re-assignment to the Creed case, as well as your continued employment by the U.S. military.” Wallace roughly snapped open the shiny silver briefcase he’d carried, rustling through it for a leaflet of papers.

Logan was barely able to hold his tongue to this jerk, who didn’t seem sympathetic at all to the hell he’d been through over the past few years in general; the past several months in particular. He watched as a thin stack of documents were laid on the table before him. Wallace closed the case quickly, rising to his feet.

Ackens rose as well, but his expression was decidedly more empathetic. “Logan, ya gotta understand the position I’m in here.”

Crossing his muscular arms, Logan’s eyes burned into Jason’s. “Oh, I understand, all right…”

“No, I don’t think you do…” Jason stopped then, and motioned to Wallace, who nodded curtly and headed for the door, presumably to wait in the car. Once he’d left, Ackens turned back to Logan. “Listen, I had to call in some major-ass favors fer you on this one.”

“Look, if they got doubts I can do this, then send somebody else. But when the body-bags start comin’ back, I d’wanna hear it.” Logan growled.

“Your abilities ain’t never been in question, son. But even you have to admit here, we’ve gotta cover our own asses. If you’re not 100%, a lot of shit could go wrong; the last thing I’ll need is some over-zealous yahoo from The Hill crawlin’ up my ass about Section X, puttin’ pressure on the boys at the Pentagon to”“

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” Logan waved a tired hand, “Secret military organizations need to stay secret. I get that.”

Ackens came closer, just enough to lay a hand on Logan’s shoulder for a moment. “Good. Now, we’ve already set up some preliminary appointments for you. Just the usual light stuff at the HAWC*, couple dates w/ Gonzalez over at the MTF*, the PEB*, and God willing, we can get you in some training exercises once all this bullshit is taken care of.”

Logan watched Ackens motion to the papers, then reached and picked them up. There were highlighted areas where he needed to sign. Looking up at Jason, he asked, “And this’ll get me back In?”

The General held out a gold pen from his shirt pocket, fixing Logan with his serious expression. Without a further complaint, the Col. reached out and took it, scrawling his name at the appropriate areas.

Just a few minutes later, with that completed, Jason Ackens walked down the narrow, twisting sidewalk away from Howlett’s home and toward the street where his black & silver accented Yukon was parked. He saw Wallace in the passenger side seat, and he nodded when they made eye contact.

Approaching the car, Jase tried to push away the uneasy feeling he had in the pit of his stomach. He knew he was wagering a major gamble in trusting that Logan was ready to come back this soon. Unfortunately he really just didn’t have any other choice; the situation in Genosha was forcing their hand early, and with Victor Creed on the loose, they didn’t need any amateurs leading the group. They needed The Best.

Climbing into the car, he silently hoped that Logan was still that man.



A Few Hours Later Back at the Xavier Estate, Ororo sat before her father in his study, her body rigid and her eyes slightly widened. She looked up at Erik, who stood on the other side of the desk beside Charles. Glancing back down at her father, she began to shake her head in some astonishment.

“I…I’m not sure I understand. I thought that Sean & Cecilia were running things at the School. Now you want Me to take over as Head Master?”

Xavier nodded, firmly sliding the documents closer to her side of the desk as he spoke. “I realize that your tenure track at The Masters School is going well, but I can’t think of anyone else I would rather have in charge. Besides, Sean will be taking over in Massachusetts once the new Academy is finished next fall.”

She still hesitated, as the enormity of what he was asking finally seeped through. Head master at Xavier’s School for the Gifted; it was geared toward helping young mutants with their oftentimes unpredictable, sometimes dangerous abilities, while also preparing them for life in the ‘real’ world as much as possible. She’d grown up in that school, along with Marie, Bobby, Scott and so many others. One day it’d been her dream to come back & teach there, when she felt she was ready. Evidently, her father believed that day had come, and then some.

“Ororo, I know you’re ready for this. And with my departure to Genosha soon, I won’t be able to resume my duties anyway. Erik had been filling in, with Hank & Brian whenever they could spare the time, but I really want you for this…Consider it my gift, to you.” Charles handed her a pen, looking deep into her eyes.

She couldn’t mistake the love there, the pride as he told her this. She shook her head, feeling tears well in her eyes. Ignoring the pen, she came around the desk to wrap her arms around his neck, burying her face in his neck. Charles chuckled, looking up at Erik. “May we take that as a Yes?”

“Absolutely. Yes!” She wiped her eyes, turning to the papers and beginning to sign. She’d have to alert the Masters School of her decision”probably that same day would be a good idea, or perhaps after the holiday was officially over.

“I know it’s going to be overwhelming at first, so I’ll ask Brian and Henry to help out during the transition period. Besides that, there are some other things I’d like to go over with you tomorrow evening before we leave for the fireworks display.”

She kissed his cheek, smiling gratefully. “Thank you Dad. Really, thank you so much. I can’t tell you how much this means to me.”

Charles smiled at his daughter as she excused herself several minutes later; he didn’t mention it even to Erik, but he secretly hoped that he would be able to live long enough to see her shine on her first day as Head Master of his school…



Sometime the next afternoon, Ororo found herself deep in thought, walking slowly along the beach only a mile or so out from the house. It was getting on late in the afternoon, so the sun was low over the watery horizon as she watched it set.

Her mind had been going a mile a minute, and with all of the people rolling around the house, it was getting difficult to get a second to herself. Of course, as word of her acceptance to Charles’ offer spread, she found herself thanking everyone for their good wishes.

However, one can only take so much of that, so she found herself out on the patio at first, until a cool late afternoon breeze had caressed her body, calling to her. Leaving her shoes on the deck, she started walking. Initially it was just going to be a few hundred feet, but before long, she’d wandered about a mile out, occasionally walking into the surf to feel the cool refreshing water at her legs.

She was lost in thoughts of her father; his impending departure; her new course in life as a Head Master; what the reunion could possibly be like without its patriarch at the helm…

These were thoughts that saw many emotions pass over her face as she kept walking, no longer mindful of where she was going. Taking a sudden deep breath, she relaxed just a little, watching several gulls chase each other in the sky above. Smiling, she sort of yearned to take to the skies herself; it had been a few days now since her last ride. She realized that she’d have to remedy that soon, even as the itch to lift from the earth right then prodded her spirit.

Finally stopping, Ororo sat down in the white sand, facing the water and admiring its beauty. The healthy winds whipped her long ponytail against her back and around her shoulders, but she paid it no mind, entranced by the quiet elegance of the sunset.

Later, she couldn’t have said how long she’d been there. After about ten minutes she’d sat up, rearranging her body in a perfect position to meditate. With her long legs crossed tightly, her back was arched gracefully but the muscles were taut, and her face was lifted toward the darkening heavens as if waiting for the kiss of a lover.

“We really gotta stop meetin’ like this, darlin’.”

Shocked out of her meditation, her eyes flew open, startled, and even though she immediately recognized the voice and the man behind it, a silent flash of lightning flickered in the distance, followed by a dull rumble of thunder. Calming her emotions, she looked over and smiled at him as he continued walking up to her. Supporting her cheek with a clenched fist, Ororo couldn’t help a smile. “At least I didn’t draw any weapons on you.”

He took that in stride, stopping a few feet away from her with his arms crossed loosely. “I thought you’d get around to mentioning that.”

“You know, I have no qualms telling you now that you scared the shit out of me.” She felt a little brave, giving him a slight admonishment even as she chuckled.

Logan cocked a brow, nodding his head back behind him toward the sky. “And what was that, hm? Coincidence?”

She shrugged, still chuckling. “How did you figure it out?”

“No offense, but anyone with eyes can tell there’s somethin’ different about ya. But actually darlin’, you gave yerself away the first time we met. You prob’ly don’t remember, or tho’t I wasn’t payin’ any attention, but I heard ya.”

I’m Sorry. She remembered now, whispering those words softly the morning after finding out about her father. Slightly embarrassed, she turned away from him for a brief moment, as those painful memories flooded back. She’d managed to get over most of the anger, but Ro decided then that she never wanted to feel that sort of betrayal again.

“Ororo?”

She looked up to him, blinking back to reality as she heard her name. She liked the way it came off of his tongue; she thought he must have had an ear for languages, because his pronunciation was almost perfect”exactly as if he’d spoken Swahili himself. “So, you know I can make a big mess when I’m pissed, and I know you can…well, hide knives in your arms.”

He almost laughed out loud at that rudimentary observation of his abilities. Bringing one hand up, he allowed one claw to slowly emerge, just enough that she could see it in the waning sunlight. “Not exactly. There’s bone underneath there; the metal’s not part of my mutation…”

She gazed at him when he failed to finish that thought. As a symbolic and”she imagined”a physical closure to that statement, the claw slide back into his hand, the slow high-pitched sound sending a chill down her spine. “O…kay. What is your mutation then?”

“Healing factor primarily; enhanced senses...among other things.” He knew he was being annoyingly vague, but he really just didn’t want to get into that topic right then; he was actually amazed he’d felt free to tell her this much.

Ororo was bright enough to tell he was uncomfortable talking about his mutation, so she decided to do them both the favor & change the subject for the moment. “Oh, by the way; is “Logan” your first name, or last?”

Grinning, he replied, “Neither.”

“Oh.” She was confused now, and her face told him so.

Enjoying jerking her chain a little, Logan stepped a little closer, and settled down beside her in the sand. Resting his elbows on his drawn-up knees, he amended, “Given name’s actually James. James Howlett. I just go by Logan.” He was going to leave it at that…

Unaware of the history behind that, she looked thoughtful for several seconds, then fixed him with a soft look. “I like James.”

“Thanks…but yer not gonna call me that.”

She laughed out loud; tickled at the determined way he’d said it. He only looked at her, liking the sound more than he thought he would. As she settled down, Logan found himself studying her, for only the second time really truly up close. With the breeze washing over them, lifting her hair and clothes; the fading sunlight bouncing off her features…

Ororo looked over to see him watching her intently. It was a very private look, but it told her little of what was going on in his thoughts. “Logan?”

He snapped out of his reverie, and focused on her eyes. “Yeah?”

“I have to ask you a question. And please, don’t take this the wrong way…”

“I’ll try not to darlin’, long as you don’t go the wrong way.” His eyes told her he was joking…she thought.

“Well, I don’t know if you’ve seen anyone about your mutation…but I happen to know a few people who could help, if you ever have any problems.”

He was curious as to why she brought that up. “’Problems’? Like what?”

“I don’t know,” She lifted a shoulder, “I really can’t imagine having any with a healing factor, but I thought I’d throw that out there anyway.” She’d turned back to watch the water, completely missing his pained expression. But just as quickly as it’d appeared, it was gone, and he looked away for a moment, silent.
“Doctors. Yer talkin’ bout doctors.”

She didn’t mistake the tone of mistrust there, and looked at him sharply, surprised. “Well, a couple of them. But mainly I meant my father; he’s got some decent connections in the community focusing on mutant medicinal needs…I’m sorry, did I say something to upset you?”

He realized how his earlier statement must have sounded, and he was sorry for allowing it to show through. “Naw, don’t worry ‘bout it. Just, me and doctors rarely mix anymore. Seems there’s always one hangin’ around when I least want one.”

She started to want to delve into what was behind all these cryptic statements, but Ororo sensed that, considering it was their first real conversation, she shouldn’t try prying him open like a clam. “Hm. I get the feeling I should leave that alone.”

His expression told her she was right, but all the same he murmured, “It’s okay; thanks for carin’ enough to offer.”

She nodded briefly, feeling a little uncomfortable with where their conversation had turned off. Unsure where to go from there, Ororo simply leaned back, watching the water again. Absently, she whispered, “What I wouldn’t give to ride these winds just a little.”

At his questioning gaze, she elaborated. “It helps me think; relaxes my nerves; mostly, it’s just really fun.”

“Why can’t you?”

“Well, the last time I did, I wasn’t in the best mood, so the storm covered up my movements. On a clear night like this, I could be spotted by anyone; including the coast guard. Not that most of the neighbors don’t know there are at least a few of Us around, but I don’t want to scare anyone. It’s just not worth the trouble.” She rested her chin on her hand, a little dejected.

Logan remained quiet for a spell, until he turned to her suddenly, his eyes bright. “Hey I’ve got an idea.”

“What’s that?”

“Ever been on a Hog?”

Her curiosity piqued, she nudged him on. “A ‘hog’? Like ‘motorcycle’, hog.”

“Yep. How ‘bout it?” He had no idea why he was doing this, except that he really didn’t want their time out here to end, and at the mention of her thirst for high speeds and wind sheer, he couldn’t resist.

Ororo opened her mouth to accept his offer”but her father’s voice chocked off any answer she was going to give at that moment. ‘Ororo?’

‘Yeah dad, I’m on my way.’ Smiling back to Logan, she hated that she had to decline. After meeting up with him again like this, she’d instantly forgotten the plans the family had to see the official 4th of July display at Liberty Island. “Unfortunately, not tonight, Mr. Howlett.” She smirked when he scowled at her use of his given name.

“Oh. Alright.”

Touched at the genuine disappointment in his eyes, Ororo reached down and scrawled in the sand quickly. Logan’s eyes widened for a moment as he watched her, then looked down at what she’d written. Ororo stood then, backing a couple feet away from him. “Rain check? Tomorrow?”

He nodded, watching her wave goodbye. As she put a few feet between them, he called out, “Sunset?”

Ororo nodded, her smile making his heart thump a little harder. “Sunset. Good night, James ‘Logan’ Howlet (chuckles).”

Raising his hand, he saw her turn away to start jogging down the beach back toward her house, which he could just make out by the lights a little over a mile away. Once she was out of hearing range, he answered, “Good night Ororo…Munroe.”



It didn’t take him nearly as long as he thought to get back to his house. Along the way, Logan’s thoughts kept returning to Ororo, and he kept asking himself just what he thought he was doing.

‘Tryin’ to spend more time with her, that’s what.’ He shook his head, running a hand through it roughly in his conflicted thoughts. After yet another conversation, he was really no closer to determining just how much she knew. His gut was telling him one thing, but his conscience wanted to believe something else.

“Yer playin’ with fire, bub…” he muttered to himself, finally coming up to the back steps on the property. He was only a few tentative feet away from the back door, when his nose picked up an unmistakable scent. A short, low growl rumbled from his lips, before he made himself calm down.

As he came upon the house, a dark figure slowly rose from the back porch railing, where she’d evidently been waiting for him quite some time.

“What’re you doin’ here?” he wasn’t even trying to hide his displeasure as he stopped cold in front of her, his arms down at his sides but his hands balled into fists.

With a soft but stern expression, Jean said simply, “I came to talk to you…about Amahra.”


TBC…
Something New, pt. 2 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #11, Something New, pt. 2

Southampton, Long Island
July 4th, 2004
8:25 p.m.


She couldn’t believe just how quickly his mood had changed. As far away as 50 yards, Jean could sense her ex-husband’s almost happy disposition; it fairly radiated off of him, until he was close enough to get a whiff of her. In the back of her mind, Jean had wanted to ask him just what had him in such a good mood, but knew by the way he was staring her down right then that probably wasn’t such a hot idea.

She’d seen the dangerous turn in his eyes the moment she’d said their daughter’s name. His posture had even changed. Most important, however, was the way he was looking at her now; it wasn’t necessarily angry…’hurt’ would’ve been the first word to come to her mind.

“Does Wingless know yer here?” Logan walked past her to the back door, taking out his keys.

Jean’s eyes followed him, narrowing at his unsympathetic jibe at her boyfriend. As a youth Warren’s misguided”and ultimately tragic”trust in his father had allowed the psychotic man to lure his own son into a trap, resulting in the loss of the angelic appendages. It was still a sore spot for Warren; one Logan exploited time again, after learning of their emotional affair during the latter stages of his marriage to Jean.

Choosing to side-step his rude greeting, Jean replied, “I don’t have to clear everything I do with Warren, Logan. Besides, this has nothing to do with him.”

With a sore chuckle, Logan roughly swung the door open, but didn’t step in as he turned his head to her. “I’ll take that as a No.”

She took a step to follow him in, but he didn’t move, making it clear that he didn’t want her inside. “Logan, please…just for one night can we please be civil?”

He hated himself for beginning to melt, but the look she passed his way read ‘important’, and Logan had to admit he was at least a little curious why she’d shown up at his doorstep after almost a month. They hadn’t parted on the best of terms in the least, and Logan had thought he’d made himself clear that her kind of ‘help’ wasn’t warranted and certainly not wanted.

With a low, agitated growl, he dropped his shoulders and turned away from her, heading into the house. Behind him, Jean’s eyes brightened just a little that he hadn’t out-right refused, and followed him through the door. She was secretly thanking whatever it was he’d been up to before she came; whatever it was, she hoped he’d keep it up.


“So, what d’ya want?” he tossed his house keys on the kitchen island counter top, going straight to the fridge for a beer.

“I…(sigh), you know it’s getting close to That Time.”

Logan popped open the bottle with one hand, tossing the cap to the counter. He watched her, but didn’t respond.

Standing on the other side of the counter, Jean tried to get some feel of where his emotional state was concerning their daughter. Logan had always been hard to ‘read’, and the few times he actually allowed her into his mind had proved a costly mistake, even she would admit, so Jean tread with much caution.

“Don’t.”

She was shaken from her concentration as she looked up at him, mildly embarrassed that she’d been that transparent. Her skills were still in an intermediate stage, having no formal training, and most”if not all”of what she knew about telepathy was self taught. Unfortunately, Logan had been her willing (and then unwilling) guinea pig for a while. “Logan, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.”

He only grunted, gulping down the brew like it was water.

“I just…” She looked around the kitchen as if the proper explanation lay within the cabinetry. “…I’m worried about you.”

Don’t.” He wiped a dribble of beer from his chin, then elaborated, “It’s a little late for that; ya think?”

“No,” She pressed past his hurt and mistrust; she’d done it once, why not twice? “As a matter of fact, I don’t. I’ll always worry about you, Logan. Even with the way things turned out…between us, we still share something special. Even if she isn’t with us any longer.”

He began to get uncomfortable, and she could tell. His body seemed suddenly tense, and his eyes looked anywhere in the room other than in her direction. Jean knew to expect this; she’d seen much worse from him…

“I don’t wanna go into this right now…and especially not with you.” He set the bottle down on the counter between them. “So, if you didn’t come to talk ‘bout anything else…”

She sighed, realizing that the door of opportunity had closed swiftly. Taking a few tentative steps forward, she held out a hand, letting him see she meant no harm. Softly, she whispered, “Logan, it’s been almost a year to the day. I know you’re still in pain. I am too. But you can’t keep on like this. All of your unresolved issues w”“

“‘Unresolved issues’?” he scoffed, taking a small step back. “Is that what she is to you? My ‘unresolved issues’?”

Listen to me”“

“No, Jean, you listen. If this is some lame attempt to get me back on the couch so you can poke around some more”f’get it.” Logan tried to get his heart rate to calm a little, but the deeper they got into this conversation, the antsier he was getting. The hackles on the back of his neck rose, and all kinds of unpleasant images reared their ugly little heads, reminding him of their failed marriage, and the door upstairs he still couldn’t bring himself to open.

She stopped her forward momentum, a disappointed expression passing over her face. She knew deep down that she should press the issue; for his own sake more than hers. But Logan wasn’t going to make things easy. His defense mechanisms were fighting her every step of the way. Gathering herself together, she decided that maybe this wasn’t the best time to do this; Logan had obviously been surprised by her presence, and she knew that had automatically raised every wall in his arsenal. “Fine, Logan…”

Heading back toward the door, she paused just a moment to regard him. “…you know, when I saw you come up from the beach, I thought maybe, just for a minute, that I hadn’t made a mistake in coming here like this. You almost looked…well, like you weren’t carrying the troubles of the world so much. It was nice to see you like that…”

His only answer was silence, as she quietly closed the door behind her. Alone, Logan slowly shook his head to himself, wondering when his ex was going to get the picture that she couldn’t fix things this time. Still watching the door, his expression suddenly softened, and he exhaled audibly. Somewhere deep down, he knew this was her way of saying she still cared, and that she was sorry for everything that went down between them, but even if Logan was ready to forgive her that, he was terrified of letting her back into his head. There weren’t many things in this world that frightened James Howlett, but that was certainly one.

Running a hand through wild hair, he turned away from the door, and then stopped, as if he’d just heard her last remark. It reminded him of something, and he shuffled through the messy drawers of the kitchen for several moments before he found what he was looking for.

Scribbling furiously before he managed to forget, Logan took the post-it note and went to the fridge, where he stuck it beneath a magnet. Stepping back, he remembered the magnet had been one his daughter’s favorites: a little memento from a family trip to Disney World…

Smiling sadly, he reached up and touched the grinning faces of The Little Mermaid and her handsome prince. His fingers hovered above the piece of paper he’d placed there, and his thoughts shifted as he thought about just how long he’d wait before dialing that number he’d scrawled on it…if he should dial it at all.



Xavier Estate
Later that night…


After an exciting night out at Liberty Island, Xavier and his guests returned to the mansion in high spirits. Most of the younger ones settled into the built-in movie theater downstairs for a late night of action flicks, while some of the older guests either retired, or in most cases regrouped, ready to paint the Island red at local clubs.

Erik made sure that Charles had settled in before he took off for the night, telling everyone he had a mountain of paperwork to greet him after the holiday. Only he and Charles knew of Erik’s secret little project; a favor to Xavier on behalf of one he loved…

Standing in the doorway to the home theater room, Ororo watched the younger students of her father’s school as they tried to vote democratically on which movie to watch. She chuckled, watching Jubilee lobby for her current favorite movie star, Brad Pitt.

“That girl can talk you into anything, can’t she?”

Ororo refused to let her smile falter, even as she felt Scott standing close behind her. He’d been pretty much attached to her hip the entire night, but they’d managed to get along pretty well. It was getting late, however, and Ororo’s understanding mood was wearing thin w/ her increased fatigue. “Yeah, looks like it’s going to be rock-hard abs and sexy dimples tonight.”

He chuckled a little at her dry wit, following her with his eyes as she turned away from the door to head toward the stairs. She didn’t sigh out loud upon hearing his footfalls behind her; she didn’t even turn around, reaching out to grasp the railing as she headed for bed.

“Ro?”

Slowing just a bit, she barely turned her head as Scott looked up at her from the base of the stairs. “Scott, I’m a little tired. Whatever it is, can it wait till morning?”

He grinned boyishly at her, ready to pick up their emotional dance around each other once more. He’d been feeling pretty lucky since their trip to the Statue earlier, where they’d watched the fireworks together. Easily closing the distance between them, he offered, “Sure. I’ll walk you up, then.”

She knew it couldn’t have been that easy.

Most of the way up they made only occasional small talk; Scott contributing about 85% of that. When they reached the door leading to the top floor room, Ororo turned to him with a somewhat forced smile, and said, “Well, good night Scott.”

He smiled, but didn’t walk away. Scott took his hands out of his pockets and leaned against the side of her door, watching her. “It was, wasn’t it?”

She didn’t like that look in his eyes. “Scott, I…”

“Wait…” He leaned up, and after a quick look around to make sure they were alone, he continued, “…Ororo, it’s been great seeing you again. More than great, actually. It got me to thinking”“

“Scott, I don’t think”“

“”about how things used to be. You know, before.”

She squeezed the doorknob, wishing desperately that she was anywhere but there right then. Ororo finally realized that what she needed most was to face this head on. Turning to him, she set her eyes firmly, her shoulders squared. “Scott, I know we’ve been getting along much better than when we last saw one another, but that doesn’t mean anything’s changed.”

“Doesn’t it?” He placed an arm on the wall beside her, completely in her personal space, and gazed down at her with an expression that spoke volumes. “I tried to tell you how I felt in my letters.”

“I never read any of them.”

“I know. And you shouldn’t have had to. That’s why I came back this time. To tell you in person what I should have a long time ago.” He was hypnotizing her with his stare, as he drew in closer, his voice barely a whisper.

Ororo knew she should be stopping him, telling him that this wasn’t the right time, place or anything for this. But there was a part of her that hung onto the pain and embarrassment of their childhood, that still wanted to know why he’d hurt her so, and if he was even sorry for it.

At her silence, he closed his eyes and reached up to carefully remove his glasses. After a quick breath, he opened his eyes.

Ororo’s shallow gasp was enough of a pleasure to him; he was proud of himself as well, but tried not to show it as he gazed down at her. “I didn’t think I could do this again. You know, I couldn’t have done it the first time without your help.”

She knew that wasn’t completely true, but found herself slightly mesmerized by the burning swirls of crimson energy that circled his irises. She remembered seeing the devastating power behind his mutation; it was that awe that kept her rooted to the floor right now.


Scott knew that, and planned to exploit it.

Leaning in quickly, his lips parted just barely as his eyes closed again.


“Egh.” Ororo’s hand shot up just in time, her index finger covering his pouting lips and firmly pushing him back.

Confused, Scott replaced his glasses and opened his eyes to question her. “Ro”?”

“No, Scott, don’t ‘Ro’ me. Look, it’s time you realized that the past can’t be changed. No matter how many times you try to rewrite it for me.”

His look was confused, as he sputtered, “But-but”“

“And there isn’t a future, here. No matter how many times you try to convince me otherwise.”

His lips formed a hard line at her tone. “You don’t mean that; you’re feeling this too.”

“…Good night, Scott.” She pulled on her teacher’s mask, acknowledging him with no more familiarity than one of her underage students, and pushed her door open, sliding in and closing it soundly in his face.



The next morning was uncharacteristically quiet in the main house, as most of the guests slept in after a late night. Of course, Charles had been an early riser”he usually was anyway”and he & Ororo had had a lot to discuss over a quiet breakfast.

For most of the day afterwards, she found herself immersed in preliminary leg work for her new job at the Westchester school, going over end of term progress reports, deciding what kind of courses she’d like to see added to the current curriculum and other administrative nonsense. Despite the heavy workload, Ororo found herself completely excited and anticipating the new school year.

Sitting on her bed surrounded by file folders, books & ledgers, she’d been at it for several hours, only stopping for a small break when a bleary-eyed but excited Marie had interrupted to gossip about her late night with Bobby in the city.

Thinking about it now, as the afternoon grew older, she smiled; it was good to see Marie less hung up on Remy these days and actually enjoying life again…

BzzzBzzzBzzz

She jumped slightly, turning to the side of the bed where her cell phone danced across the wood surface of her nightstand. Reaching over to get it, she almost fell off of the bed, laying out a hand to brace herself against the floor before the rest of her body followed. Flipping open the clamshell, she raised it to her ear, still half hanging over the bed, giggling at the picture she made. “Hello?”

“…Hey, Ororo?” Her heart skipped a beat, her eyes going a little wider. “It’s Logan.”

Going still, she looked up into space, her hair falling into her eyes as she listened to the quiet uncertainty behind his words. Almost as if he’d been surprised she picked up. “Logan.”

“Hope you don’t mind me callin’…yer not in the middle o’ something are ya? I can call back.”

She almost didn’t catch that flurry of words, smiling in some surprise at his sense of trepidation. “No, not at all…I’m glad to hear from you, actually.”

His voice seemed a bit more confident, as he chuckled a little and continued, “Yeah? Well, I was wonderin’ if you had any plans tonight.”

Holding her breath, Ororo didn’t even realize she hadn’t moved from her precarious position, as she pressed the phone to her ear. “Plans? No, not really. What did you have in mind?”

“That rain check from last night. You game?” His voice teased her.

“I wouldn’t know the first thing about riding a motorcycle, Logan.”

“That’s alright,” he replied easily enough, “I’ll be there to catch ya if you fall.”

She thought she had to have imagined the underlying tone beneath those words. With a smile, she agreed, “Well, then. I guess I’ll have no choice but to put my life in your hands.”

There was a weird, but slight pause on his end of the phone, before Logan murmured, “Deal. Meet me at my place. You know when.”


After he’d hung up the phone, Logan sat in his living room, trying to figure out exactly what he was doing. It was more than simply playing with fire, he now chastised himself. ‘Be a man about it…’ he thought, still holding the cordless phone absently against its cradle. No matter how he turned it, Logan knew he was more than just curious about the woman.

Shaking his head to clear such thoughts, he reminded himself of their connection, of his chosen profession, of his…’problems’; all good reasons why he shouldn’t have just called her. ‘Jesus, it’s One night, not a proposal, ya ass.’

Finally releasing the phone, Logan got up, heading upstairs to the private bathroom where he took the next 45 minutes getting ready.



It had been slightly difficult for Ororo to slip out of the main house, but she’d managed it after distracting as many as four different people who’d caught her on her way to the back patio. She wasn’t ready to tell anyone else about Logan, simply for the fact that she didn’t really know what they were doing yet. Were they just acquaintances on the way to becoming friends, or was this a date?

That question ate at her mind all the walk down the beach toward his house. She’d chosen to walk rather than ask one of the chauffeurs for a ride, all in the name of being discreet. One watchful eye and two loose lips later, and the whole house would be talking.

Alone with her thoughts, she turned to the darkening skyline, watching the late afternoon colors blend into a blue backdrop. She always thought sunsets in the Southampton were a well-kept secret among the locals. Memories of watching them as a child hovered just beneath the surface of her thoughts. Those early days that she could barely recall once Charles had brought her back to the States; July out at the Xavier family summer home was a strong memory…one of a few pleasant ones from her early childhood she could recall.

Running a hand over her hair as long locks waved in the sea breeze, she focused on the quickly approaching image of Logan’s house. It was still a good 100 yards off, but she saw a figure suddenly emerge from the rear of the house, and begin to come down the steps. Unable to help herself, Ororo could feel her nervousness factor rise exponentially, realizing that she was under his visual scrutiny already.

When they finally came to each other, she discovered how right she was. Logan gave her an appreciative once-over, his almost colorless eyes sparkling with a devilish delight as he took her in. She wore a Victoria’s Secret Embellished wrap top in the same color as her stunning eyes and a white pair of stretchy topstitched London jeans. Her feet were secure in bright white tennies, and her only piece of jewelry was a single polished gold bracelet that accentuated her slender wrists.

He grinned, despite himself, loving the way her clothes fit like they were tailor made. Her long tresses were only slightly kept intact by a loose ponytail at the small of her back; several locks had easily escaped, he noticed, on her walk down and waved at him.

“Hi.” Her voice was rich but held a small hint of nervous energy.

His eyes lifted to hers, his gaze caressing her soft-looking chocolate skin. “Hey. You look…”

“Over-dressed? Would a tee and shorts have been better?”

“I was gonna say ‘Stunning’. But then, you’d prob’ly still look that way in a t-shirt & shorts.” He couldn’t believe he’d just said that, and then when he felt his face redden at her shy smile, he really felt like punching himself.

“Thank you.” Ororo admired his rugged attractiveness wrapped in a sense of careful abandon in jet-black jeans, a carpenter’s button-down shirt and a light-weight leather jacket he wore mostly for riding. His hair was wild as always, but she found it handsome on him. He was barefoot, and she looked down to see his toes squeezing the white sand beneath them. “Don’t tell me you ride shoeless?”

He chuckled, looking down at his feet. “Nah, I left my boots on the porch. Come on…”

Ororo followed as Logan led the way back up to his place, and they paused briefly while he shoved his bare feet into a well-worn pair of Laredo Barracudas, before he took her around the side of the main house where the two-car garage was. There was only one car”a black Jeep Wrangler”and beside it the only inanimate thing that had really helped Logan escape his demons living in the house.

Walking ahead of Ororo a bit, he smiled wistfully as his fingers reached out to caress the custom-made Vulcan Classic. He turned when he heard her snicker a little, and he questioned, “What?”

Shrugging, Ororo pointed to the motorcycle. “You just look like you are saying ‘hello’ to an old friend. Men, and their toys…”

He grinned, but shook his head. “Actually I guess I was. I spent a long time building this thing from scratch, darlin’. Can’t a man take pride in his work?”

She rolled her eyes, stepping up beside him to examine the formidable beast. She’d never ridden a ‘hog’ before, and wondered if this night was the right time to change that. Seeing the cautious way she was eyeing his bike, Logan reached out and touched her hand, his fingers curling around the inside of her palm as he held on and pulled her closer. “Here, it ain’t gonna bite.”

Without a word she came, standing very close to his side, their hands still clasped. Logan showed her how to mount the seat, and she settled in the natural groove of the hard leather, unsure where to place her hands. Amused at her naivety, Logan took a moment to admire her beautiful form on his prized machine, before he moved to sit in front of her. As he began the steps to start the bike up, he turned to her, motioning to the helmet hanging on the back.

“At least until ya get used to it, better wear that.”

Failing to notice his initial comment, she grabbed the black shiny helmet, but raised questioning eyes to him. “What about you?”

“Don’t worry. I got a hard head.” Just as he said that, the bike purred to life, a loud, rumbling sound that Ororo could feel in her bones as she wrapped her ponytail around itself tightly and set the helmet on her head. She opened the dark visor to peer out at him, smiling as a sense of pure exhilaration coursed through her body.

When Logan popped the kickstand off, the shift in weight was awkward for her, and she instinctively gripped his jacket, just above his waistline. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be. I ain’t.” He moved one hand away from the handlebars to touch hers, pressing her hand against his ribs before he turned his attention back to the controls.

Ororo was both uncomfortable and elated at their close proximity; the situation warranted sitting close, but she hadn’t expected to be this close. Trying desperately not to notice his strong, muscled body against her, Ro focused on the slowly moving motorcycle as Logan maneuvered it toward the open garage doors.

When he got to the threshold, he leaned back a little to turn to her, and was momentarily distracted by her scent and the soft pillow of her breasts against his back, before he called out, “Hold on tight.”

It was his only warning as they leapt from the back of the house around the winding drive toward the front and the narrow road leading to the street above.


They probably rode Route 27 for a good two hours before Ororo indicated that she was tiring out. Logan took pity on her, inwardly impressed with her stamina, and headed back. She’d been a real trooper in his opinion, only drawing the line at handling the monster bike herself. When he teased her reluctance, she left the door open for him to change her mind, albeit later.

As the Vulcan rumbled back into its place in Logan’s garage, he was surprised to feel a sense of disappointment that their ride was over. Though they hadn’t talked much at all on the ride, he could sense her excitement in a new experience, and could tell she had enjoyed herself as she leaned into him a little, her body melding perfectly against his back, her arms tightly wound about his torso. Her delicate hand had rested for a time against his chest, as if she could feel the adrenaline pumping through his blood and quickening his heart.

Shutting the bike down, Logan sat there for a moment before turning to glance behind him. His expression was a question.

Pulling the helmet off, Ororo returned his gaze, her hair cascading down. Holding the helmet in her lap between them, she smiled at him, her own adrenaline rush just coming down. “That was…was…”

“Fantastic,” they breathed simultaneously, and chuckled. Logan had never really taken anyone out on the Vulcan before; not even Jean, who’d refused to even sit on it, much less ride it, and Amahra had been too young…

Ororo peered at him, her face showing curiosity at his suddenly wistful expression. Before she could question it, it was gone, and he moved, the leather of his jacket creaking as he slid off of the seat. Standing before her, he helped her off the bike, and started walking toward the door, their hands still clasped for a moment before he let go.

Following, Ororo tried to hide the goofy look she knew she was wearing, running a self-conscious hand through her tussled hair. She hadn’t expected their ride to be so much fun, or to have her attraction to this mysterious man so blatantly manifested as she watched his back, the way he moved, and his tight little ass that looked just right in those jeans…

“Ororo?”

She looked up, more than a little startled from her thoughts as her eyes met Logan’s. It occurred to her that he’d been trying to get her attention after she’d failed to answer his question. “Pardon?”

“Something to drink? Water, beer…well, that’s pretty much it.” He said thoughtfully, offering her a seat on the back patio while he leaned against the railing.

Laughing at his evident surprise of his lack of refreshments, she responded, “Beer is fine.”

He didn’t even hide his surprise, but didn’t say a word as he went inside. While she heard his movements echo out from the short foyer, Ororo looked out from the covered patio to the gently crashing surf, admiring the view. It seemed less restrained, more natural than that of her father’s; the manicured lawns of the Xavier estate were beautiful, to be sure, but in Ororo’s eyes lacked something of the spontaneity of Mother Nature’s hand.

“You’ve got quite a view.” She commented, accepting the cold bottle.

“Yeah.” Logan turned to stare out at the beach, his expression hard to decipher. He couldn’t remember the last time he actually looked at his property and could appreciate it for what it was. For a brief moment he envied her that.

“You know, this is usually the part where you tell me a little more about yourself.” She watched him half-lean-half-sit against the rail across from her. His gaze shifted”in discomfort?”before it landed on her again, and he took his time lighting a thick cigar.

“What do you wanna know, darlin.”

His cryptic tone sort of took her off guard, but Ororo forged ahead anyway. “Well, first I guess…where are you from? Your accent sounds unusual.”

“I was born in Alberta. Raised everywhere else.”

“Ah,” her eyes brightened, “My mother wasn't native to the U.S. either. Do you like it here?”

He looked at her as if he didn’t fully understand the question, then chuckled. Ororo’s expression changed just a little, and he replied, “Nothin’. Just feel like I’m on a job interview or somethin’.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” She looked down at the bottle in her hands, as an odd silence passed between them. After a few moments, she looked up when she felt his presence next to her; Logan sat down close beside her on the cushioned bench, his head tilted a little as he watched her.

“Nah, it’s alright. I’m just not used to so many questions…about my past. It’s kinda fuzzy sometimes, truth be told.” He kept eye contact, his clear grey eyes telling her a lot with that statement.

“Does that have something to do with your mutation?” she asked tentatively.

“Why would you ask that?”

“I don’t know…” She searched his eyes, realizing just then how close their faces were to each other. “…there’s something in the way you said that. I don’t know.”

His eyes lowered when she suddenly dropped her gaze, as if their searing eye contact had scorched her like the sun. Feeling a little guilty for making her uncomfortable, Logan leaned a little closer, his cigar switching hands before he reached up and touched the soft curve of her jaw, lifting her eyes to his again. “The answer’s ‘yes’…”

His breath barely whispered against her cheek as they sat there, completely tranquilized by each other. With his fingers still light against her face, Logan watched her eyes, then her mouth, as she struggled with words. He wanted to kiss her so badly it hurt in places he wasn’t supposed to be thinking about right then.

It's so strange
How my life's changed
I know nothing
About the people that I touched

Heard a story
It sounded easy
If you don't care
Then you're lying through your teeth


Her eyes gave him the answer to his unasked question, but still Logan hesitated. Later she would be unsure whether it had been a sudden burst of self-confidence or the strong Canadian beer clutched in her hands that propelled Ororo forward”emotionally and physically.

I was shook up
Intoxicated
Drank the juices
Of the possibilities


I'm so alive…


Lips touched gently but eagerly, sending a very mild current down Logan’s body; it only seemed to heighten his excitement, but he pulled away just barely to whisper a chuckle against her lips.

If you told me
Nothing's perfect
Hearts are broken
Nothing's free

I could show you
Why it's worth it
That's the way that it's meant to be


Ororo looked at him expectantly, biting her lower lip just a bit as the silence between them lengthened. Her body was stiff w/ nervousness until she felt his hand move from her cheek to the nape of her neck, squeezing tenderly as he drew her lips back to his.

It's too strange
How your life's changed
You know nothing
About the people that you've touched

Someone told me
Life is easy
Hearts were bleeding and breaking
They were lying through their teeth


For the eternity of several seconds, he explored the contours of her soft mouth; it was a welcomed tease before Ororo parted her lips just barely and allowed him a full taste.

If you told me
Nothing's perfect
Hearts are broken
Nothing's free

I will show you
Why it's worth it
And that's the way that it's meant to be


The winds kicked up around them, so strongly that they extinguished the orange light at the end of Logan’s cigar”not that he noticed. Carelessly he dropped the cigar as both hands came up to cradle her soft face. Leaning in closer to him, Ororo momentarily forgot she was holding the beer bottle until she felt Logan’s hand gently pull it from hers, placing it somewhere out of sight, out of mind.

If you told me
Nothing's perfect
Hearts are broken
Nothing's free

I could show you
Why it's worth it
That's the way that it's meant to be



Her hands gripped the edges of his worn leather jacket as their mouths continued an intricate dance to the tune of wet hot kisses. Her mind was reeling, her heart was pounding, and when she heard a soft, deep growl rumble from his throat a shutter coursed through her limbs to a sweet spot she knew she shouldn’t have been thinking about right then.

Heard a story
It sounded easy
Got a new skin and
I'm lying through my teeth
I was shook up
Intoxicated
I drank the juices of the possibilities…


As the magic faded for a breath, they simultaneously opened their eyes, seeing each other a little differently. All kinds of improper thoughts for a schoolteacher floated through Ororo’s mind as she watched him briefly lick his lips, staring at her. A mutual hunger was obvious to both of them; the only question was what they were going to do about it.


Of the possibilities…


TBC
Something New, pt. 3 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #12, “Something New, pt. 3”

Sometime After Midnight…
She didn’t know her way about the house, so of course he’d had to guide their already fumbling movements. Even still, they knocked several things over in their passionate haste”what, exactly, Logan cared not.

Halfway into the living room, he stopped her from backing up toward a staircase. “Too Far,” was all he breathed against her mouth, as his hands held her close to his body.

In answer, Ororo’s hands pulled down hard on the leather of his jacket, and it fell to their feet with little resistance. His shirt was next, and she smiled, pleased at the muscles that reached out even now toward her. She felt his tight biceps nearly crush her to his chest, his hands roving over her back like the man was trying to envelop her.

She could smell masculine arousal all around her, breathing deeply against the side of his face as Logan’s tongue seared the flesh just beneath her ear, and his sharp teeth nibbled on the sensitive skin of her neck. He growled again, much like he had on the back patio, and it sent a spiral of arousal straight through her to the pit of her stomach.

For a brief moment, his hands subsided, and he leaned away from her, eyes hooded and a darker grey than she remembered, as he watched her. It was a look of pure hunger she saw there, and it was echoed in her reflection within his pupils.

Moving away from her, he held her hand, and eventually she was pulled forward, following him to the soft cushions of one of the large couches. He was careful to lay her back against pillows, then hovered over her, his fists digging into the pliable fabric at either side of her head.

From her vantage, Ororo had an excellent view of his muscled torso, and her eyes traveled of their own accord down from his pectorals to the tight six-pack and couldn’t stop even when the beginnings of his ‘happy trail’ winked at her from the top of his buttoned Wrangler jeans.

Logan grunted in some surprise when he felt her fingers curl into the top of his pants, an index finger tugging gently at the silver button. In response, he lifted one hand to her face, a ghost of a caress against her cheek, then her neck and continued to the V of her shirt. He stopped just above the rise and fall of cleavage, his eyes coming up to meet hers.

Continuing their tit for tat game, Ororo popped the top button of the jeans open; Logan’s hand slid around the curve of her left breast down to the diamond-shaped, beaded appliqué that covered the shirt’s single button and expert fingers loosened the material in less time than it took to describe the motion.

He didn’t open the shirt flap immediately, however; Logan watched the rise and fall of her chest quicken just a bit in the anticipation of his move, and his own arousal heightened in the process.

Reaching out, Ororo pulled herself up to a kneeling position using his arm, and Logan settled back on his as well as he waited for her next move. Almost at the same eye level, she grinned at him, pulling his pelvis against hers by the top of his open fly jeans. She had seen the still growing bulge just off to the left side, and everything feminine in her wanted to expose it.

Logan watched her silently, his eyes shielded by a few errant strands of black hair. He had a perfect view of her cleavage now, and that fact only made him harder. Before Ororo could further explore that zipper, he grabbed her hand, bringing her wrist up to his lips, where he placed tiny nibbling kisses down the inside length of her forearm. His eyes held hers as his other hand carefully reached into the folded collapse of her shirt and briefly swept by the underside of one breast before snaking around her waist, pulling her against him.

He kissed her lips again, a deep, penetrating motion like it had been the first time. Ororo’s arms wound about his neck tightly, her exposed breasts pressed firmly to his chest.

After that, clothes seemed to melt away like butter on a warm afternoon. Lying back against the arm of the couch, Ororo didn’t feel self-conscious at all in his presence, even as he openly appreciated her body’s beauty. Tilting her head back, she sighed at the hot wet feeling of his mouth on her skin. Settling over her, Logan’s body was warm, and he wrapped his arms beneath her, stroking her back, then her side before his hand cupped one bare cheek.

A sharp sigh dissolved into an intense moan when his tongue curled around the peak of her breast. Logan’s intense attention made her squirm, but she arched her body, moving closer, and held his head to her chest in the utmost approval, begging for more.

As foreplay lingered, all she could feel was the hot throbbing between her thighs; it was uncomfortable at first in its intensity, but eventually subsided to a series of warm waves that crashed every time he touched her. After a prolonged exploration, she searched his eyes, about to beg him to put her torture at its end, when he shifted his body, arching upwards just slightly, his face still close to her ear.




“Goood Morning! W-ALK 97.5FM””

Ororo blinked, her face contorting, looking up; there was nothing there, only ceiling. In her room.

Sitting up quickly, she turned to the side, swatting the radio beside the bed as the DJ continued on in his chipper voice. She almost grabbed the intrusive device to sail it across the room, but thought better of that. Sitting back against the sweat-soaked pillows behind her, Ororo tried to calm her pounding heart and the still tingling sensation between her legs.

For the briefest moment, just before she was fully awake, Ororo had been unsure whether it was a dream or not. Hugging one of her pillows, she looked toward the dawning light outside from the terrace and admitted that she wished it not been.

A little disoriented, and with legs that still felt like Jell-O, Ro disappeared into the bathroom…for a long cold shower.

---

Downstairs in the larger study, Xavier wheeled a little closer to Erik, who stood near the wide desk at the room’s center. His expression was slightly pensive, but he remained quiet for a moment, turning a little to direct his attention to the door, which locked itself at his command.

“Charles, are you sure this is the same man? Can it be possible?” Erik sifted through the papers inside the long manila envelope, as if going through them again for the umpteenth time was going to garner different conclusions.

Perching his hands before his lips, Xavier stared into space for a long moment, his mind traveling back almost a quarter century to memories he hadn’t seen fit to visit in quite some time. Though he was a most gifted telepath, his powers stopped short of a photographic memory, and so he had to focus deliberately on the image inside his mind…he had to be sure it was, indeed Him. “I realize the chance of coincidence is astounding. But I’m sure of it. Ororo’s descriptions aside, I knew…”

“You said you found out shortly after they moved here several years ago.” Erik stopped riffling through the papers.

Charles nodded, glancing toward the door once as he felt a small group of his guests pass by. Once he was sure they had gone, he turned his attention back to Erik. “I needed you to confirm it, but yes, I’ve suspected the two men were one & the same. I just can’t believe Ororo ran into him like that.”

“Does he know?”

“He knows…” Charles said quietly, sighing audibly before he raised his eyes to Erik’s again.

“Why wouldn’t he say anything?”

“…Because I asked him not to.”

---

A Couple of Hours Later, Ororo opened the terrace doors beyond her bedroom, going outside to the patio where she sat in a cushioned wicker chair, absorbing the warm early morning sunlight. Folding her thick, soft bathrobe around her legs, she laid back against the headrest, closing her eyes & sighing deeply. Immediately, gentle, blurry images of her dream from the night before came rushing back, and she had to literally shake her head to clear it. Chuckling to herself, she couldn’t remember the last time she’d had such a vividly sexual dream. The mere thought of it sent a pleasurable current down the core of her body.

‘I feel like I’m 16 again.’ She admonished herself, watching the surf as it rolled in. Her thoughts had stayed with Logan all morning, and the night they’d spent on their ‘non-date’”if she could really call it that at all now. The lingering kisses that still had her lips tingling (and other places, too) called what they did something else, but Ororo was cautious not to jump the gun. She could tell there was something about himself that Logan was keeping from her. Even though they’d spent another couple hours after their kisses just talking on his back porch she realized just how little he’d actually told her.

At the time it had not even bothered her, as she sat reclining in his embrace, telling him about her father’s school and discussing the plight of mutants in Genosha, but now she wondered why he had done most of the listening between them. She knew he was in the military”he’d told her that much. He also mentioned being at the end of an extended leave, and seemed to look forward to going back to his post. She had no clue which branch he belonged to, or what base he was stationed out of or even why he was on such a long leave (exactly how long, he didn’t disclose).

Laughing out loud, Ororo realized she hadn’t even seen the inside of his house past the garage. “Well, I guess there’s something to be said for a little mystery in a relationship.”

Catching her breath, she lifted a brow, turning toward the west and thinking, ‘Is that what this is? The beginning of a relationship?’

---

Down the beach at that moment, Logan shook the water out of his hair, tossing a hand towel over his spiky head as he padded into the kitchen on bare feet. Grabbing a skillet from the hanging pot rack over the center counter, he set the range on and went for the fridge and his morning bottle of beer.

As he began to prepare a breakfast of scrambled eggs, maple sausage, ham and southern-style hash browns, his movements were automatic. His thoughts were anything but. Most of the night after she’d left, he had remained awake, sitting on the bench where they’d settled after the motorcycle ride. Logan had been painfully aware of the empty space she’d left beside him; her aura in the form of her unique scent sat at his side, reminding him of her soft, lithe body as she’d leaned into his arms. Even after he finally moved back into the house, he’d paced the downstairs study for another few hours, smoking five cigars in the time it took him to question every single thing he’d done that day w/ her. And a couple things he had not but wished he had.

Stirring the eggs absently, Logan turned just a little, to glance at the phone number that was still magnetically adhered to his refrigerator door. He had to acknowledge that initial curiosity was assuaged; everything that transpired after this point was completely his doing.

Standing there in an old pair of USMC sweat pants and the small towel still over his head, Logan couldn’t help but reminisce about the silken feel of her long hair, the gentle caress of her hands on his face, and who could forget Those lips”soft as velvet and full as a new moon..? ‘Whoa, fella.’ He glanced downward momentarily, smirking as he tried”somewhat in vain”to quell those sorts of memories and the uninhibited thoughts they provoked. He had already become painfully aware of just how long it’d been since those sorts of feelings had manifested themselves…

Setting his plate down on the island counter, Logan chugged the second bottle of beer, and dug into his breakfast, momentarily distracted by the cool morning breeze from the beach as it came in from the open door of the nearby foyer. Even then, only a few seconds passed before he thought of her again; it seemed that everything around him was bringing memories of Ororo Munroe back to him. With a cautiously wistful expression, he began to think maybe that wasn’t such a bad thing.



TBC…


Note: I apologize for the shortness of this chapter, but I really needed a good pause-point before the next set of events. It’s a short-un, but at least ya got a decent (:O) scene out of it, LOL!
Reunion, pt. 1 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #13, “Reunion, pt. 1”


“Hello.”

“Hey, it’s Me.”

“Hey, ‘Me’.”

“(chuckle) Busy tonight?”

“For you? Of course not. Same place?”

“Same time.”


Most of their phone conversations went along those lines, preceding their meetings at dusk, which began to have more frequency as the days passed. Most of the time He merely walked with her; their steps tracking the tide at the coast’s edge, as they talked quietly or not at all.

Logan learned quite a bit about her each time, from unimportant things like her hobbies and favorite foods, to more pertinent pieces of information about her past…what little there was she could recall before Charles came into her life. Logan never interrupted her while she spoke of her birth parents, what she’d been told of them from her adopted parent. He always watched her carefully, a look in his eyes she couldn’t readily explain, but just chalked up to his sympathy of her situation.

For Logan, he could not say what it was about this woman that drew him to her so; he had begun to look forward to their meetings at their respective property lines with more anticipation than he wished to let on. The unnamed chemistry between them was hard to deny and so he didn’t; he simply let it exist as it was, and decided to evaluate it later, if the need arose…

---

Of course, Ororo couldn’t hope to hide the lift in her step and the twinkle in her eyes for long, and it had barely been a week more before Beth & Marie had cornered her in her room, demanding answers.

---

Xavier Estate
July 13th, 2004
2:05 a.m.


Most of the main house was quiet, and only occasional sounds from the home theater in the basement floated up, indicating that some preferred a late summer night. Mindful of this, Ororo didn’t want to chance being caught going upstairs on a breeze, which would have surely rattled pictures on the walls or expensive vases in the corridors. She had kicked herself upon coming up to the house shortly before, for not leaving her terrace doors unlocked; it would have made a quick, painless trip to push herself up there from the beach, but alas…’Hindsight…’

She hadn’t meant to stay out so long, but she and Logan had decided on an impromptu trip to Lolita’s for a nightcap, and what should’ve only taken half an hour lasted almost three.

Now, rounding the corner to the main stairwell, she hopped lightly, glad she had on tennis shoes. With a stealth she didn’t even know she possessed, she made it past all the flights of stairs up to the top floor before”

*Ororo?*

Her expression said it all, as she stopped cold in her tracks only a few feet away from her door. One leg was still bent for the next step as she lifted her eyes to the heavens in instinct, wincing a little. *Yes, Dad?*

Charles’ telepathic voice reflected his sleepy state, and despite her apprehension, almost made Ororo smile. *Before you accuse me of ‘waiting up’, all I wanted to say was “Good night.”*

She chuckled softly, rolling her eyes and shaking her head; he wasn’t going to get past her with that. *Uh huh. Good night Dad. I’ll see you for breakfast.*

As she started back to her door, he made one last parting remark, chuckling in her mind: *It’s a date…*

Groaning a little, she chose to ignore his double entendre. ‘Well, so much for keeping this to myself.’

Backing into her room quickly, she quietly closed & locked the door, then turned around and was immediately surprised to see Marie and Beth reclining against her pillows, comfortable as they flipped through the stations of the T.V.

“What in the world--?” Ororo planted her hands on her hips, her eyes wide as she glowered at them. “What are you two doing in here? And at this hour? Why aren’t you asleep?”

Beth kept her eyes on the screen as she used a mild telekinetic force to change the channels. For a second she let her gaze drift to her sister, a small smile touching her lips. “My my. Aren’t we the ones supposed to ask the questions, Marie?”

Flipping through a magazine, the Belle turned her eyes to Ororo, who was still standing just inside the door, unmoved. “Yeah, Betts; Ah do b’lieve that’s how it’s supposed t’ work.”

“Marie, you didn’t.” Ororo stalked up to the bed’s foot, clasping the wood with both hands as she glared at her sister.

“Didn’t what?” All innocence from her.

“Obviously you told Beth; which isn’t that bad, considering. But who else did you blab to? And please do not say Dad.” Ororo closed her eyes to that thought, as a bit of teenaged embarrassment touched her mind.

Sitting up suddenly, Beth looked at her. “Oh my God! You didn’t.”

Flustered, Ororo immediately realized she’d been thinking ‘too hard’, and Beth had picked up the stray thought. “No! No, we haven’t””

“Huh? What happened? What’d Ah miss?”

“Are you sure? You’re thinking pretty hard about it, Luv.” Beth teased, her beautiful lavender eyes sparkling pure mischief as she leaned on her knees.

Confused, Marie interjected, “Wait a minute! What? Ya haven’t done what? With who??”

Quiet for a minute, Ororo’s eyes passed back & forth between her sisters, and as Marie finally caught up to the conversation via a quick image flash from Betts, was met by two very interested sets of eyes. “Oh, alright!”

She sank down on the bed between them, crossing her arms to indicate that they’d have to pull the information out of her. “But I stand by my word. We Haven’t.

“You just want to.” Beth grinned devilishly.

As Ororo blushed, contemplating a neutral response, Marie said slyly, “Hell, who wouldn’t? The guy’s a hot piece a’ Man-Ass.”

“Marie..!” Ororo covered her eyes, utterly embarrassed, even though she knew long ago to expect this sort of behavior from her sisters. Beth almost died of giggles beside them, especially seeing the look on Ro’s face.

“You know, aren’t we too old for this sort of high school behavior? God, we sound just like some of my students.” Ororo made herself comfortable with several pillows.

“Hey, who’re ya callin’ old?”

Ororo & Beth snickered at Marie’s response, as the youngest sister primped before them. Tossing a full pillow her way, Ororo relented. “Look, I’ll spill, but I’m leaving out all the embarrassing details, and you have to promise not to say a word.”

Beth raised her fingers like a Cub Scout, giggling, but Marie objected. “What? Without all the embarrassin’ stuff, what’s the point?”

Marie!!” Both sisters admonished, simultaneously sending pillows her way.

---

The Next Morning, Charles settled across from his daughter over a large breakfast. They were expecting some of the other guests and family members down any moment, and that knowledge prompted Xavier to take advantage of the short window of opportunity to get something off of his chest.

Shifting his torso, as Mrs. Duvahl and two other kitchen attendants were busy setting the table around them, Charles smiled at his daughter as she sipped freshly squeezed orange juice. “We’ve been missing you after dinner, dear.”

Her eyes moved to his over her glass’s rim, and she started to smile even though she was still drinking. Setting the juice down, Ororo answered, “Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I’m supposed to be here visiting the family, aren’t I?”

“Oh no, that’s not what I meant to imply.” Charles didn’t look around with his eyes, testing inwardly to make sure they weren’t about to be overheard, “I am curious, as to what’s put that light in your eyes, though…”

He watched her carefully, as her head dipped a little, briefly, before she raised her eyes to him again, and then looked around a little guiltily. “Or rather, Who? But then you already knew that, right?”

Looking up at the ceiling with a grin, he murmured, “I have my eyes & ears, you know.”

Her response was delayed momentarily, as Jubilation, Kitty & Emmett filed in, going immediately to the other side of the kitchen, where Mrs. Duvahl found herself fending them off of her world famous strawberry cream cheese crepes. Choosing her words carefully, Ororo smiled at her father genuinely. “Well, I guess you shouldn’t be the last to know, then, hm? I met someone, Dad. He’s nice. I really like him.”

He put a smile on his face at her simple explanation, reaching over to lay his hand on hers, squeezing gently. “Sweetheart, that’s wonderful. I’d like to meet him.”

Daa-ad.” She immediately thought he was being over-protective…well, he was, but not for the reasons she believed. “Oh, so you can probe his brain to see if all he wants”“

“Mornin’!” Marie called out, waving quickly to them before she went to start making her trademarked protein shake to go w/ breakfast.

Charles acknowledged his younger daughter with a smile and a mental hug before turning his incredulous eyes back to Ororo. “I would never”“

“Egh.” Ororo raised a chastising finger, giving him a look. “Davis. Cameron.

His gaze widening, Charles almost laughed out loud, recalling the interested party (Charles refused to call him a ‘boyfriend’) Ororo had”short lived as the ‘relationship’ was”before she and Scott had finally gotten together later in high school. He felt at the time that he had been well within his rights as a father to subtly probe the teen; the beach-faring Aussie was the son of a notorious playboy businessman, and Charles had suspected that perhaps the 15 year old had other ideas toward his precious daughter aside from milkshakes & sock-hops.

“In my defense, I was correct.”

Snickering, Ororo shook her head at his reluctance to admit his culpability and at the mental image of Davis’ face after Charles’ pointed questions about the boy’s fantasies concerning his daughter (let alone what he’d done privately about them).

“That’s not really the point.” She admonished, but patted his hand anyway. “Trust me, dad; this one’s nothing like Davis…or Scott, or any other”“

“Someone say my name?” He rounded the corner, coming into the large kitchen and heading immediately for a chair close to Charles, almost directly across from Ororo. He smiled at her suddenly closed expression, his eyes dancing behind his tinted glasses as he reached to pour a glass of juice for himself.

Charles kept a smile from his face at the chill rolling off of Ororo, feeling a little sorry for Scott Summers. His eyes left them for a moment as he caught sight of the other guests, pulling up chairs to the long breakfast tables. Outwardly he was the epitome of calmness, but inside he was beginning to panic. He realized that he needed to get more information out of Ororo about just how serious “This One” was; he didn’t want to have to force his hand unless need be. He was in a precarious set of circumstances, at best; and he was more than a little upset with the object of his daughter’s affection for putting him in this situation…

---


Several Days Later, Logan and Ororo relaxed on the beach just beyond his back door, laying down languidly in the cool sand as evening approached. They had been laughing and talking for almost two hours, mostly about her upcoming trip to Westchester and how excited she was to return to the School, this time as its top administrator.

Propping himself up on his elbows just as she was, Logan watched her animated excitement, smiling a little to himself as his eyes dropped every so often to her mouth; in his mind her words seemed to escape in slow motion, her full lips accentuating each syllable and driving him wild.

“The new semester doesn’t begin until late September, but I’ve been itching to get back and take a look around, make some notes about some things I’d like to change…And you know, I’ve even been thinking about adding a greenhouse to the property. I’ll probably be living there most of the school year and I can’t imagine…Logan?”

He raised his eyes to her, still smiling like he was keeping a secret, and in her puzzled silence, leaned over and captured her lips in a lengthy kiss. After a few seconds, Ro felt a gentle but persistent push, and she leaned back, her pale head touching the dusty sand as he leaned over her, their lips still locked.

His thumb lightly circled her cheekbone as he took time to begin a painstaking memorization of her features. He catalogued every scent, every sound she made at his touch, each part of her face as his lips explored. When her hand snaked through his hair, massaging his scalp, Logan pulled away just a bit, and offered as explanation, “I’ve wanted to do that since I first saw you today.”

Her warm breath caressed his face in a chuckle, as she gazed into his eyes. A sudden thought hit her, and Ororo pressed the back of his head down until their foreheads met, closing her eyes briefly. “Come with me?”

A little surprised, Logan leaned over her, his head cocked to one side. “To Westchester?”

She nodded, feeling anticipation swell just at the thought. “Next week. I’d love for you to see the work done there. And besides, I was only going to be gone a day or so, but if you came along, we could stretch it out to a full weekend…”

She could see the unspoken excitement behind his eyes, but he shook his head. “I dunno, Darlin’. I’ll have a lot on my plate by then.”

“Work.” Her expression fell, reminding herself that he’d told her about his physical fitness requirements before returning to duty. “Well, it was just a thought.”

He tipped her chin, not liking the way he felt at letting her down. “Hey, I’ll see what I can do. How’s that?”

She smiled a little. “Alright.”

Sitting up, Logan came to his feet, offering his hand to lift her up as well. Afterwards, he looked up to the darkened sky, sighing. “It’s gettin’ late. Yer People won’t call the Calvary, will they?”

She snickered, slightly embarrassed at having told him of her family’s interest in where she was spending her evenings lately. “Not if they don’t want a lightning bolt up the ass.”

He couldn’t help a hearty laugh, liking her spunk, as he began dusting the sand off of his clothes. “That’s my girl.”

In the midst of doing the same, Ororo paused, glancing at him. She liked the possessive remark, but didn’t say so. Continuing to her hair, she found it a little more difficult to get the sand out, and cursed beneath her breath.

Above them, a sudden rumble of thunder crossed the skies, and both Logan & Ro looked up, then at each other. Before he could even ask, a pelting rain bombarded them. Ororo squealed like a little girl in delight, but still tried vainly to cover her head.

“Hey, is that you?” He called over the noise.

“No! Ah!” She laughed, watching his wild hair drop, soaking his neck. Before Ororo could enjoy the cool interruption, he grabbed her hand, and pulled her toward the back patio.

“Come on!” He turned to the house, and they sprinted for shelter under the sound of rain pattering against the sand and the melody of Ororo’s laugh.

---

After Only About Fifteen Minutes, Ororo emerged from the downstairs bathroom, her hair damp to its roots and curling slightly as she toweled it dry, and then wound the large terrycloth fabric about her skull to speed the process. She’d chosen to go ahead and stand beneath the water for easier access, and Logan had been kind enough to lend her some of his as he laundered her slightly damp, now muddy clothes.

As she rounded the corner back toward the kitchen, she passed through the hall adjacent to the spacious living room, and a picture hanging on the wall caught her eye. More accurately it was a drawing, in the unmistakable scrawl of a young hand. It was encased in a plain brown frame that had noticeable dust around its edges & a thin veil of it on the glass, but that wasn’t what caught her attention most. The content of the image showed a disproportionately large stick figure with wild black hair holding the hand of another, smaller figure with spiraled red curls. Both wore smiles like the Cheshire cat as they faced her, before their beachfront setting of seashells and a multi-colored ball. Floating in the “sky” above their heads were two crooked words above each one respectively, obviously labels.

Daddy.


Me.


Reaching out, Ororo laid the tips of her fingers over the glass separating her from the crude drawing. She couldn’t mistake the larger figure even if she’d wanted to; she knew it was Logan, but who was ‘Me’?

---

Inside the kitchen, Logan poured a hot cup of herbal tea he kept on hand just for her, and set it down beside his beer bottle. Some of his hair was slick against his head but still mostly wild, as he’d used the upstairs bath to wash the sand away. With his trusty hand towel around his neck, he was shirtless, enjoying the cool breeze from the night’s rain that the opened back door let in, and he’d donned another pair of jeans but remained barefoot.

After several moments, he turned before she entered the room, his acute senses preparing him for her arrival…but not her appearance.

Dressed in his oversized red & black flannel shirt and a clean pair of his white socks, Ororo appeared in the doorway behind him, her hair wrapped for the most part high in the neat folds of the towel. Several stray locks escaped in the front & back, curling down her shoulders, and there was still a light sheen of water from her shower over her skin as if she’d dried her body in some haste.

He paused, openly staring at those long cinnamon legs that kept going, and even though he knew that a pair of drawstring gym shorts was beneath that shirt, the fact that he could not see nor distinguish them from the long shirt did something to his pulse.

A little self-conscious at his unabashed appraisal, Ororo gave him a brief smile, feeling her cheeks warm despite the cool night breeze, and she came to the island counter, standing just beside and behind him. From her vantage she could clearly see the taut muscles of his back & right bicep flex and she felt a little guilty at sneaking quick glances at his bare torso, as it reminded her wholeheartedly of The Dream…

“I made ya some tea.”

Keeping her eyes trained on the steaming cup, Ro felt her skin ‘goose’ at the deep, almost sultry way he said that. She couldn’t tell if it was just her imagination going wild with him half naked and close, or if there was something he was trying to tell her behind that deep timbered voice. “Thank you.”

She reached past him, so close it was all he could do not to turn right then and hoist her up onto his counter, tear his clothes off of her still-wet body and”

“No problem.”

Unaware of his plight, Ororo sipped the delicious brew, inhaling its calming aroma as she debated whether or not to ask about the picture. She found it strange that Logan wouldn’t have mentioned having a child, but then she had to admit what a private person he seemed to be. Perhaps the girl lived w/ her mother, and that’s why the house seemed devoid of anything pointing to a young inhabitant. It could be a sore spot for him, and Ororo knew that the last thing she wanted so early into their relationship was to make him uncomfortable with painful subjects.

“’Ro? Darlin.”

Only her eyes moved to meet his, as her fingers kept the wide cup close to her nose. “Hm. Yes?”

“I said ya look like yer in another world.” He moved only a breath more away from her, sitting on one of the stools drawn up to the counter.

She lowered the cup to the countertop, and then began messing with the towel holding her drying hair. It was purely nervous action, and he could tell, but said nothing. Finally getting tired of the wisps of hair falling out of the knot, Ororo whipped the towel off to fix it, her damp white locks hanging down past her behind, limp. As she finger-combed it, she glanced sideways at him. “Hmm…Just thinking.”

He was experienced enough to know by her tone that there was a question begging to be asked, but he wasn’t sure at all if he wanted to know what it was. Logan realized that by bringing Ororo into his current sanctuary it opened him up to a whole barrage of possible questions from her”some of which he knew he wasn’t prepared to delve into. Unfortunately at this late date in the game, all he could do was try to steer her clear of his landmines.

“Your home’s beautiful, in case I didn’t mention it.” She said casually.

Downing the last of the bottle, Logan turned to glance at her as she twisted her long hair over one shoulder, continuing to dry it. “Thanks.”

“I bet you’ll miss it once you have to go on duty. You know, you never told me where you’re stationed.”

“Ft. Hamilton,” his semi-lie came easily enough. Logan never even thought twice about handing her the cover story for his position. Not because he didn’t trust her necessarily, but those were the rules when one was employed by the agency he belonged to. Heck, even Jean only knew because she was a telepath, and had picked his brain during one of his late-night sleep terrors. He remembered the long, painful conversations that followed, and he knew he didn’t want to repeat that”especially not with Ororo. To that day, he still believed that her knowledge of what he did for a living was at least partially responsible for their failed marriage. No matter what, Logan didn’t want to risk losing Ororo the same way.

That thought bothered him for several reasons (one of which was the realization that he was continually building a trove of secrets to keep from her…). Turning away from that thought, Logan looked up to her where she stood beside him, almost absently stroking her hair. Standing suddenly, he stepped close to her side, encircling her with one arm and bringing her head to his lips to kiss the top of its wet crown. “Stay awhile?”

“Yeah.” She breathed immediately, dazed by his close proximity and masculine scent. Without another word, Ororo allowed Logan to lead her into the semi-dark living room, where he settled into the cushions of a long couch, and pulled her down to cradle her body against his in an upward-facing spoon. Wrapping one arm over her collarbone, the other stroked her wet hair, curling long strands around his fingers.

As she listened to his deep breathing, Ororo watched Logan’s other hand toy with the soft flannel material of the open collar, occasionally dipping into the fabric to brush a finger along her collarbone’s delicate skin. It was then that she felt her body tense momentarily. He felt it too.

“Logan?”

“Hm?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“…I guess.”

“It’s personal.” She warned.

“Go ‘head, Ro.”

“I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but”are you married?”

Of all the possible questions…
Logan’s hand didn’t stop from caressing her skin, as she felt his head move behind her as if he were looked around at her. “No, but why did you ask?”

Still watching his hand, she laid her own over it, stilling his movements, and brought his left hand up into the air. Rubbing one digit, she replied, “The ring finger.”

Impressed, Logan looked at his hand and the barely visible mark of a wedding band that had slightly distorted the skin tone there. He thought most people wouldn’t be able to see it, but then he could understand a woman in Ororo’s position making that astute observation. Chuckling, he grasped her fingers. “I guess I should elaborate. Not any more is a better answer.”

She nodded, laying his hand back down, and it immediately resumed its caress of her skin just inside the collar of the soft shirt. She could tell he thought the matter was closed, but Ororo definitely had more questions on her mind. She just couldn’t decide what to do w/ them.

Logan didn’t say anything more, continuing to stare at an unimportant spot across the room on the wall. He knew at some point he couldn’t hope that his private life wouldn’t come up in conversation; the subject of his failed marriage however, was only a sore one because it would inevitably lead to Amahra”something Logan definitely did not want to discuss.

“Hm, that’s all I’m getting out of you, isn’t it?” She teased, turning over onto her stomach to face him.

With a weird grin, Logan answered, “For now.”

Accepting that for what it was, Ororo reached up and kissed him briefly, searching his eyes. “Well, I guess I don’t want to kill the mystery, right?”

“Right,” He agreed, eyeing her lips again briefly before meeting her gaze once more. “Besides, speakin’ of questions, you haven’t told m”“

Leaning in quickly, Ororo stopped his query with a deep kiss, finally unable to resist this mirror image from her dream (less the full nudity, that is). The feel of his soft lips made her blood race, and when he gripped her shoulders through his shirt it sent a wonderfully delicious tingle down her spine.

“Hmmm…” she breathed slowly, relishing his wet kisses down the side of her neck, as Logan’s stubbled jaw nuzzled her collarbone.

At her murmured acceptance, Logan’s warm hands snaked beneath the shirt, massaging her smooth back and then dipping down to caress the swell of her behind and up to cradle her neck at once. When she moaned in his embrace again, he couldn’t help the tightness in his pants, shifting beneath her in some discomfort.

At his movement, Ororo lifted herself slightly onto her elbows, her heavy wet hair sliding over her shoulders and onto his heaving chest. Slightly trembling fingers graced the tight skin stretched over his flat, muscled stomach, but just as his heart quickened at the thought, her hand moved away from the fly of his jeans.

Straddling him a little awkwardly with one leg bent against the couch and the other foot planted on the floor, Ororo looked down at him, completely enamored with this fine male specimen. Their eyes met, and she nodded just briefly before he sent his hands back up the bottom hem of his shirt, up the sides of her small waist. Her hands resting on his forearms, Ororo’s eyes fluttered gently as he caressed the underside of her breasts.

She was holding her breath, waiting for his next move”of which she was sure”when several seconds passed, and nothing happened.

Below her Logan was warring with himself internally, for the first time in his long life unable to take the ‘next step’. There was something bothering him, just to the edges of his mind, and he was afraid that if he stopped right then to investigate, he’d lose his nerve and the moment would be lost.

Too Late.

She looked down at him, slightly confused, but then leaned near, capturing his mouth again. Logan’s expression would’ve told her a lot, had Ororo’s eyes been open; he was just as unsure and confused as she, albeit for very different reasons. He knew this was most certainly what he wanted, but the part of him that had grown to really care about this woman in the time they’d gotten to know each other, chastised this progression in their relationship. ‘She doesn’t know…You should tell her everything.'

Ororo misunderstood his hesitance, thinking that he wanted her to make the definitive move, and so she reached up between them, still kissing him, to pluck one button on the shirt.

She has the right to know…

“…Mhmph…Ro..?”

By that time, his flannel shirt was unbuttoned, and she took his left hand from her thigh and was about to shove it into the folded cotton…

“Yes.” Her breath tickled his ear, and all the excitement, want and anticipation in that single word nearly made him scream. Yeah, scream.


“The clothes are done.” Came out of his mouth with a sigh.

She looked at him, then up past them, hearing the high-pitched alert of the dryer from the other side of the laundry room. Leaning up, she looked over his head, unmindful of the picture she presented, seemingly deep in thought.

Below her, Logan struggled to will down his throbbing erection and keep his mind off of the gentle flap of his shirt, which was just barely hiding what looked like a perfect pair of breasts. Each breath she took moved the material just a little, and the telltale headlights from that friction against her skin made him curse himself all the more. After a few seconds, however Logan realized she wasn’t looking at him purposefully.

Grasping the front tails of the shirt closed, he looked up into her eyes, which finally met his after a moment. The hurt he saw flash there made him swallow hard; the misunderstanding could be wiped away in a single explanation, but Logan just wasn’t ready to see her look at him like that again, and especially not ten-fold.

“Ororo.”

She looked away, then back to him, unsure if she could trust herself. She didn’t know why he’d stopped them, but the insecure part of her was more than willing to come up with several possibilities, all of which made her eyes sting. The embarrassment that burned in her chest wasn’t going to make her cry in front of him, that much she knew for sure, so her foot scratched against the hardwood floor, about to lift her off of him, but Logan’s hold on the end of the shirt never let.

Wordless, he crushed her to him, gulped when he felt her breasts through his shirt, and hugged her close, holding her head against his chest. Stay there. Just stay right there.

And she did, finally after several tense moments loosening her clenched fists and resting against him. Logan didn’t trust himself to say anything out loud, for fear of further ruining what was (left) between them. He knew right then and there that he could never tell her what needed to be said: that they met not weeks ago but decades past, that he held a secret from her that could cause more pain than her father thought the knowledge was worth. It had been something he had held guarded for almost a quarter century, never in a million years believing he’d be in the situation he was right then.

Breathing deeply, Logan looked up to the ceiling, cursing whatever forces had put him there, as he hugged Ororo closely. Her shallow breath in sleep was the last thing he remembered before drifting off himself.




TBC…
Reunion, pt. 2 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #14, “Reunion, pt. 2”


July 17th, 2004
Just Before Dawn…



Everything was dark.

It wasn’t that comforting, blissful void that’s oh-so-fleeting between consciousness & The Abyss, but instead a smothering suffocation with a cold reality that reminded her of Death…


Ororo’s body jerked out of sleep, and of course she had absolutely no clue where she was, as the fresh ocean breeze moved over her from an unknown source and a delightful aroma tickled her nose.

Squeezing her eyes as if to prepare them, she finally blinked the lids open, inhaling deeply and catching the unmistakable smell of breakfast cooking. As she sat up on the couch, sizzling sounds floated in from the kitchen, and she looked that way briefly before turning her eyes to the opened windows across the room, where the early morning breeze had been let in. The sky outside was still several shades of blue with a little pink, clarifying how early it was. At any moment the sun would make its appearance, giving the living canvas a whole new palette of colors to play with.

Sitting up, she ran a hand through her hair, scratching her head as she struggled to recall the dream (nightmare) from moments before, but already it had almost completely slipped from her mind. It wasn’t the first time in the past few weeks she’d had nightmares, and unfortunately she had trouble remembering the contents of even a single one. She had promised herself to see her father about it, but kept putting that meeting off; Charles had enough to worry about these days without the added worry of her subconscious stressors.

“Ti-i-i-ime is on my side”yes it is!” Came blaring from the kitchen suddenly, and she turned in that direction, recognizing Mick’s voice over the radio, as well as the deep, usually gruff voice whistling an accompaniment from the kitchen.

About to stand, she glanced down at herself, still wearing His warm flannel shirt…which had now been partially buttoned up. Staring at the dark plastic circles she knew she hadn’t touched since releasing them the night before, Ororo’s throat suddenly tightened as memories assaulted her.

With a slightly narrowed gaze, she turned her head slowly to the coffee table across from her to see her clothes from the evening before neatly folded in a pile and her newly cleaned tennis shoes carefully placed beneath the glass-topped furniture piece.

She sighed”for many reasons, for no reason”and stood finally, her mind made up. Just as she came to the table and reached for the clothes, she heard His voice from the door’s threshold behind her.

“Hey there.”

Ororo paused, still reaching out toward the clothes, and turned to look at him, a level of dispassion in her cool blue eyes.

Logan didn’t need to be close to sense her aloof attitude; he couldn’t remember ever seeing her eyes that pale of a blue. The ice in them was almost enough to chill him to the bone. ‘Uh oh.’

“I made breakfast.” He said lamely, pointing a thumb behind him.

Picking up her clothes, Ororo was already shaking her head, her eyes turned away from him. “Uhm, that’s okay. I think I’d better just”“

“Ororo.”

She stopped, but didn’t look up. It only took a couple of seconds before he was standing right next to her, his hands at his sides, his head cocked at an angle just a little as he looked down at her. Ororo’s eyes narrowed, but she could still see him peripherally, standing there all handsome and yummy in just a pair of comfy USMC sweatpants riding low on his narrow hips, his hair still wet from a morning shower. Trying very hard not to want to look up at him, she bore holes in her clothes with her eyes, straightening her posture as she refolded them needlessly (anything to keep her attention from those rock-hard abs and 20 inch biceps…).

Logan peered at her, a mixture of confusion and guilt on his face for a moment before he reached out one hand. Grasping her fingers as they held onto her clothes tightly, he pulled her hand open, taking the shirt and pants and dropping them back to the table. He reached up to hold her shoulders for a moment, looking at her face, but she still refused to meet his gaze.

“Ro.”

“Yes.” Still not looking…

“Have somethin’ to eat. We gotta talk. After that, if yer still mad, then…” He trailed off, leaving her options quite open.

At her hesitance, Logan dropped his arms, but held onto her left hand briefly before sliding his to her back, hugging her as much as she’d allow, and then propelling them toward the kitchen slowly.

---

They ate mostly in silence, sitting adjacent to each other at the island counter. He’d prepared quite a feast, laid out around them on the tabletop. Hot maple sausage, southern style hash browns, bacon, eggs (prepared 3 ways) and homemade Belgian waffles were generously accented with vanilla yogurt and an impressive display of a variety of sweet fruits. Of course he knew she didn’t eat meat, and he was glad he’d been to the market recently and had enough forethought to shop with her in mind.

At that thought, Logan realized just how much he had been thinking about them, like this, and he could fully understand now Ororo’s confusion (and hurt) at his ‘rejection’ the night before. Looking up from his high protein plate of goodies, he slowed in his chewing, watching her carefully dip ripe strawberries in a yogurt cup. Her movements told him she was deep in thought, and he knew exactly what those thoughts were.

“Darlin, if ya swirl that ‘berry in yogurt any harder, it’s gonna be ‘Blended Fruit’.” He observed, with only a twinkle of a smile.

Blinking, she looked at the abused strawberry, then put it aside on her plate, looking up at him. “I’m sorry, I’m just…uncomfortable.”

“I know.” He jammed a forkful of eggs into his mouth, chewing quickly before elaborating, “F’that, I’m sorry.”

Forgetting his food, Logan pushed the plates away, and dragged his stool a little closer to hers, so he was barely a foot away, as if they needed the extra privacy. Laying a hand on hers, he tipped her chin with his other hand, looking deeply into her eyes.

“That’s the last thing I want ya to feel around me, it’s just…” He stopped, for the first time a little unsure of where he was going with that statement.

When he paused, a look close to sympathy came over her face, and then she squeezed his hand when she saw the genuine conflict in his gaze. “Just what?”

Swallowing, he licked his lips, then met her eyes, searching them. “I think what we got goin’ here is pretty good. Really good, matter-of-fact. And I don’t wanna ruin it.”

Her change in posture told him a lot, and he quickly amended. “There’s no rush. Right?”

Ororo opened her mouth, about to question his reluctance, when she stopped, and really thought about it. Why was she so upset, anyway? Even Ro had to admit that she wasn’t sure exactly how far she would have let them go the night before. “That depends, Logan.”

“On?”

“What, exactly, we are doing.”

“What would you like us to be ‘doing’…besides the obvious.” He chuckled a little, but straightened up at her stern look.

“I asked you first.”

“No ya didn’t.”

“Logan”“

“Seriously, Ro…I…” He stopped himself, but the look she was giving him made Logan pause more. He knew that after weeks of dancing around the question, he’d have to eventually make some concrete assertions. Obviously, Ororo was a woman who didn’t take anything to chance”even relationships.

Lifting a palm to her cheek, Logan rested it there, then stroked the soft, silky skin, making her turn her face into his touch, despite herself. Ororo’s eyes fluttered closed briefly, and a look came over her face before she reached up to grab his fingers. She didn’t pull them away, though, just held them. Tightly.

“I…I care about you.”

Her expression seemed a little pained for a second, before opening her eyes and looking at him. “But..?”

“I ain’t ready fer that.” He said honestly. “Not yet.”

She nodded, and knew that she’d respect his decision. “Mind if I ask why?”

Brushing his fingers into her hair, down her neck, Logan didn’t hesitate. “My life right now doesn’t really allow what I’d want fer us, Darlin. Never really has. Part of the reason I ain’t married t’day.”

She watched him, inwardly gauging if he was being truthful, believing that he was.

“For the moment, I wanna leave it there. Is that alright with you?”

She only nodded, full of questions, but trying desperately to quell them…For the moment. “For now.”

“Deal. I know ya got questions…” ‘Do I want ya to have answers?’

“I do. But like you said, there’s no rush. We’ve got time, right?” She watched him stand, coming close to circle her in an embrace.

“Yeah, Darlin, we got time.”

---

July 17th
Later in the afternoon…


We DON’T have time for this!” Scott was nearly about to tear his own hair out, vainly attempting to get the small gathering of Charles’ guests to agree on one small, crucial detail.

Marie looked over at him, by now bored with the whole affair, and blew a silky auburn tendril of hair out of her eyes. “Ya know Scott, it isn’t the end of the world.”

“Whatever Marie.”

Beth chose not to comment on the sour grapes between the two, instead directing her comment to the group at large. “Instead of trying to figure out a way t’get Charles back in time for the Reunion, why not just bring the Reunion ahead to meet him?”

The murmuring side-conversations ceased immediately, and even Scott & Marie stopped their eye-dagger throwing long enough to give that some consideration.

“Elizabeth…” Kurt’s gold eyes brightened, if possible, as his disposition lit up. “Dat’s a vunderful idea!”

“Yeah…” Scott stroked his smooth chin, the gears in his head working. They had no hope of pushing the reunion back until Charles & Erik returned from Genosha (God only knew when that was going to be, anyway), and besides, the guests were sure to have to return to their individual lives by then. But moving the date up..? It seemed such a simple, obvious idea, he wondered why he hadn’t thought of it.

“Hi everyone.”

Heads turned and eyes bugged as they caught sight of Ororo rounding the corner, going to one of the refrigerators to get a bottle of water.

“Guten tag.”

“Hey Ro.”

“Mornin’, Luv.”

“Hey Sugah…” Marie’s eyes twinkled, even though she tried her damnedest to stop grinning.

Scott was the only one who remained silent, his eyes trained on her every move. He had heard enough gossip to figure out that she was seeing someone, but much more than that he couldn’t guess. He didn’t think much of it initially, until she had begun disappearing almost every other day. When he caught Marie & Beth’s conversation earlier that morning, discovering that Ororo hadn’t returned home the night before…well, let’s just say it gave him more than a ‘pause’.

“Are we having a ‘family meeting’?” She smiled, coming to stand between Marie and Beth, who happily acknowledged their sister with knowing grins.

“Yeah, we’re planning on moving the Reunion date up so the Professor can attend.” Bobby supplied, snacking on a bowl of popcorn.

“Hm. That sounds like a good idea. I think he’d love that.” Ororo reached over and stole a handful, barely pulling her hand back before he could swat at it.

---

The particulars were quickly ironed out right there in the kitchen, and with their duties each of the co-conspirators dispersed to handle his/her business.

Marie was just about to pull Ororo away”no doubt to begin the Inquisition about the events of the previous night”when Scott raised his head from where he was busy writing down a list of who had what task.

“Ro, do you have a minute?”

Elbowing Marie to leave her alone (the Belle could tell she didn’t mean it really, and kept pestering her), Ororo looked up at Scott, unaware (or ignoring?) his quiet, aloof demeanor, and stifling a laugh at her sister, responded, “Sure, Scott. Marie”Marie; La-ter.”

The younger sister recognized the private look, knowing that the last thing Ororo was about to do was get into that conversation with Scott sitting right there. Her grin showed Ro that she was greedily anticipating their conversation, and she winked. “Sure. Beth & Ah’ll be upstairs when yer done.”

Rolling her eyes, Ororo let out something close to a scoffing laugh, but smiled to herself, her sister’s excitement heightening her own. When she turned to Scott, however, all traces of where (and with whom) her thoughts were, vanished into thin air.

“Yes, Scott?”

He kept writing for a few seconds, as if finishing a train of thought, before he looked up at her. “I realize you’re a busy woman these days, so I won’t keep you long.”

She almost took a step backward at his look and the unmistakably accusatory tone behind that remark. For a second she didn’t reply as he went back to the list, then crossing her arms, “I missed a couple minutes of a family chat about a party…I’m not one of your peons in the Fleet, Scott.”

He didn’t even flinch at her scathing tone, but did pause from writing again. “No, but you are supposed to be helping me put this reunion together. Something you seem to have forgotten, lately.”

“…Excuse me?”

The shadows in the kitchen changed drastically and a not-so-distant rumble beyond followed the sudden shift in cloud-cover outside.

Despite the very real threat, Scott looked up at her, silent, his eyebrow raised. Standing before him, Ororo’s eyes had just barely begun to cloud over white, flickering a milky shade over her usually startling blues.

It took every ounce of patience and calm within her not to fry his ass right where he was so smugly sitting. With the tense morning she’d already had, Ororo was in no mood to indulge Scott Summers’ bruised ego, nor his childish jealousy.

“Careful, Ro,” he pushed her buttons further, gathering his writing materials as if ready to depart, “You wouldn’t want Charles to see you lose your temper like that.”

With a short, low growl, Ororo imitated a look she’d seen Logan give once or twice before. She knew Scott was testing her, waiting for her to blow up and give him some more ammunition to work with, and it was that thought alone that kept her from giving him the satisfaction. As the weather cooled outside, and her eyes flickered back to blue, she gave a deep sigh, leaning on the table beside him.

“Yes, you’re right Scott…I shouldn’t have left you with all the work. We both know how hard it is for you to make a choice; especially when it really matters.” With that, she swiped her list from the table, turned and left.

He only barely turned in his seat, his eyes lowered behind his glasses. The expression on his face was mixed somewhere between defiance and pride with a shake of annoyance thrown in for good measure. He sat in the room alone for several seconds before finally reaching into his pants pocket and pulling out his cell.

‘Okay Ro; you wanna make this hard? I’ll give You the Choice to make…’

His phone’s SIM card held a contact number he hadn’t used in a long, long time, but he knew it was still good. She would have told him if it changed. After only two rings it clicked over, and Scott grinned knowingly.

“Hello, Emma.”

---

Later that day, a soft knock rapped upon Charles’ door to his bedroom, and he smiled warmly as Ororo came in. His daughter was completely radiant as usual, but her face was marred slightly with a look of concern he expected from her each day since she’d learned of his illness.

“Ororo, halili.” Charles’ Swahili was still flawless as he used an endearment from her youth.

She graced him with a smile, coming to sit beside him on the bed, her usual spot when she needed to talk. “Daddy…”

His smile faltered a little; Charles couldn’t remember the last time she’d called him that. It took him back to the early days; the hard times when he wasn’t sure he had done right by her by taking on her upbringing. It was always said in such an emotional way, and was so now, bringing Charles to wrap his arm about her shoulder, pulling her close.

Ororo rested her head against his collarbone, hugging him tightly and sighing. She wasn’t sure exactly what it was that told her she needed to see him, but she didn’t fight it. Ro had learned years ago to trust those instincts; when her “Psychic Voice”, as Charles called it once, spoke, she listened.

“What’s on your mind? You seem troubled.”

Ro thought about that question for a minute, unsure if she wanted to lay her seemingly superficial problems at his lap. Finally she just shook her head, “Nothing. Not now. Can I just stay here for a little while?”

He could feel her attempts to quell her emotional broadcast, and didn’t push her to elaborate or explain. Charles could tell Ororo’s emotions were all over the board”as were her thoughts. Hoping for a little levity, he smiled, “I hope you all aren’t about to strangle each other over the details of the reunion party.”

“They told you already?”

“It’s kind of hard to keep secrets from me.”

She couldn’t have understood the cryptic aspect of that comment, and replied, “Sometimes. Well, to answer your question, no, not really. I mean, yeah, I’m thinking about the reunion, but…”

“Other things have gotten your attention.”

“Yes.”

Charles was trying to be discreet without coming right out and telling her he knew she hadn’t come home the night before. He was inwardly livid at Howlett for what he perceived as the man taking advantage of his daughter, but Charles was not about to confront Ororo about it; he knew better than to do that. *Well, if you need to talk--*

*I know.* She squeezed his torso a little harder before murmuring, “thanks.”

*Well, not to change the subject, but I really appreciate the thought of moving the reunion up. I’ll have to tell Erik once he returns tomorrow.*

*Hm. I can’t take credit for it, but I agree it’s a good idea. I can’t imagine having it without you.*

Charles smiled a little somberly, reaching up to stroke her head carefully. A thought hit him, but he tried to hide his true intent through their link. *Ororo?*

*Yes sir?*

*You know, your new friend is more than welcome--*

“Dad…” She cut him off, shaking her head with a short laugh. “I’m not sure if I’m ready to subject him”or myself”to that torture.”

Charles laughed, not sensing her other reasons for possibly wanting to keep Logan out of her family’s line of sight. Ororo wasn’t even sure of the state of their relationship”despite the assurances she’d given Logan earlier that morning. She had a lot to think about already without having to worry about him mixed in with her crazy “Peoples”.

“No? Not even for your old man?” He hated himself for turning on the charm and guilt factors so high, but right then the ends had to justify the means.

Of course he knew he had but to say that before she leaned up, looking deeply into his eyes. “It means that much to you?”

“To meet this man that’s put such an adoring look in your eyes?”

She knew she had to be blushing, ducking her head a little before lying back against his chest. Ororo knew she couldn’t deny her father any request, just as he knew the same about himself and her. They indulged each other, it was true, but in that father/daughter, “Daddy’s Little Girl” sort of way.

“I’ll think about it. How’s that?” She amended, but knew in her heart it was almost a done deal. Charles knew that too.

“Thanks.”

---

It had been several days before Logan was finally convinced that she was avoiding him. He & Ro had missed their usual evening meetings four days in a row, and with his return to duty (well, he had to get through Physicals first, but he wasn’t worried about that) he found his down-time in short supply.

With 12 to 14 hour days in pre-mission prep sessions, Medical examinations and psyche appointments, it had gotten to Thursday of the next week before he finally made himself take a breather, thinking about their last conversation.

Logan wasn’t sure now if he handled things well with her. Telling half-white lies on top of it surely didn’t make him feel any better, but he had convinced himself (at the time) that it was in her own best interest. Now…

---

Picking up the phone, he dialed her number quickly; it had long since been memorized, but not put into the device’s memory. As he listened to the rings, he tried to decide
exactly how he was going to dig himself out of this hole without coming clean. When her voice came over the line, he smiled immediately”until he realized he’d gotten voice mail.

Logan took the phone away from his ear, looking at it in his hand for a moment before placing it back and saying, “Hey, It’s Logan. Gimme a call.”

Snapping the phone shut, he put it down on the nightstand beside the bed, and just stared at it for a moment. He’d never gotten her voice mail before. It was so far out of their routine, he wasn’t even sure what to make of it; if he should make anything of it at all.

Pushing down the weird feeling in the pit of his stomach, Logan turned away from the phone, getting up to get dressed and go for a run.



TBC…
Reunion, pt. 3 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #15, “Reunion, pt. 3”


July 23th, 2004
Westchester County
4:57 p.m.


Friday had gone off without a hitch, and Ororo had fallen right into step at the School. Earlier that morning she had a productive brunch with Sean, going over student evals. She’d even gotten to meet personally with a couple of students”some who had orientations planned that day before joining for the fall semester.

The school itself was almost deserted; those who had no family to spend holidays with usually came out to the summer estate and spent the warmer months bathed in beach sand and suntans at the impressive 62-room estate, or opted to stay within the confines of the school, where at least one administrator was always on-call. This time Sean had lucked out, as Moira took the opportunity to head back to her lab off the coast of Ireland to conduct more research on TLV. A short conference on the mainland was her destination that weekend, along with Ororo’s brother, Henry; MacTaggert’s partner in the fight against TLV and in finding a viable cure or vaccine.

---

After most of her ‘official’ business had been concluded, Ororo found herself wandering the grounds, remembering her usual haunts. The Westchester school was actually a smaller (compared to the Hamptons estate) mansion, the home of Charles’ parents and his grandparents before them. It had been her first home after coming to the States. It was where she, Marie & Beth had grown up as best friends and sisters. It was where she’d met her first crush in Scott Summers. It was also the birthplace of her mutant powers…

Walking past the backyard toward the tree line that bordered the empty field beyond the mansion, she remembered that day with biting clarity. While her mutation had been somewhat of a surprise to her, it had not been to Charles, of course, who knew sooner or later that she would exhibit some sort of mutant ability. However, at the tender age of 10, seeing lightning appear at one’s whim was quite unexpected to the young weather witch.

Sighing deeply, Ororo pushed those thoughts away, not really wanting to dwell on the first manifestation of her powers. Like Marie’s, it had not been an especially happy moment…

Looking up, she found herself immersed in the depths of the thickened woods beyond the school, where wild things still grew and the dense canopy shielded her from the late afternoon sun.

Calling a refreshing breeze, it tickled the hem of her light skirt as Ororo disappeared through the brush.

She knew what she needed more than anything right now was a good walk; some time alone.

Her sandals barely touched upon the underbrush, as she unconsciously took a path she’d mapped out years before in her mind. Naturally as she walked, her thoughts returned again and again to Logan, and the abrupt message he’d left her a week before. She’d listened to it several times before finally erasing it; still unable to discern whatever code from his tone and the two short phrases that she’d thought she’d glean.

Ororo didn’t know why she didn’t call him back, except for the fact that she was more confused than ever about the parameters of their relationship. She didn’t know what she wanted, and she didn’t know what He wanted.

“Oh, you know what you want…” she quietly chastised herself, passing by hanging leaves and caressing the bending limbs of trees.

What she wanted was probably the last thing she needed right then; a complicated relationship. With Logan she somehow knew it could be nothing but complicated…

As the night grew closer and Ororo’s decision didn’t get any easier, she finally came to rest at a small lake about a mile & a half away from the school, deep in the woods. She’d only been this far in a few times, when she really needed a moment alone and no amount of good natured humor from Marie or sympathy food would do the trick.

Feeling very young and confused, she came to the edge, looking out across the somewhat shallow water as reflections bounced off the surface. After several seconds and her clothes were folded neatly at the bank, and her body was fully submersed did she feel the tension begin to subside from her muscles. Almost ten laps later she was loose as a goose and feeling much better physically, if not mentally.

Resting against the cooled grass while the water dried from her skin, she felt much better from rediscovering her former place of solitude. It was a welcomed revisit, and even now”as she began to rethink her behavior with Logan”things began to look a little clearer.

---

Slowly making her way back to toward the School, Ororo sighed to herself, deciding then and there that once she returned to Southampton she’d call Logan immediately.



“Hey Darlin.”

As it turned out she wouldn’t have to.

Startled she looked up into the darkness, thinking for a moment that she’d imagined that voice. The reflected light of the moon could barely pierce the thickness of the trees overhead, and so he had to move to assure her he was no apparition.

“Logan?! What”what are you doing here?”

Even as he moved closer to her, he made no sound, unbelievably silent in the night. He was further camouflaged by his black leather jacket, which immediately told her that he’d been on the motorcycle. “You invited me, remember?”

She stood a few feet from him, speechless at that.

“Seems like you rescinded the offer, though, eh?” he didn’t laugh, but his tone wasn’t completely accusatory.

Looking away for a moment, she responded, “I thought you couldn’t make it.”

“Oh I moved some things around,” He said vaguely, coming a couple steps closer.

“Why?”

If he thought that was an odd question his eyes never let on, as he finally closed the distance between them, standing directly before her. Reaching out to touch her arm he could sense her sudden indecision. “Do you want me t’leave?”

No, her eyes told him, but she didn’t say anything immediately.

Reading her response, Logan lifted his hand, lightly caressing her arm, making her skin rise with goose bumps. He was standing so close by now that she could hear his breathing over the sounds of night around them, and could feel his body heat even before he reached up with both arms, enveloping her in a tentative embrace.

His sharp ears barely heard the light inhale from her lips as he stood there, partially cradling her against his side. The slight height difference allowed Logan to whisper quietly against her ear, his warm lips brushing against the curve of her jaw.


“If I didn’ know better I’d think ya were avoiding me, Ro.” He smiled just a little in the shadows after her breath came out in a shudder against him.

Ororo was still as a stone in his arms, but her eyes told him everything he needed to know, and the unmistakable drum of her rapid pulse beneath his hand on the back of her neck told the same tale.

When she didn’t answer, he lifted his other hand to the base of her swan-like neck, stroking the hollow of it with one finger as his hand lay splayed against the skin of her collarbone. “You ain’t avoidin’ me, are ya?”

Ororo finally found her voice, sensing that his questions were no longer rhetorical. “Logan…”

He quieted whatever she had been about to say with a gentle nuzzle against her neck, leaning into her a little. His strong arms tightened about her waist and back, and they stood in each other’s embrace as time stood still only for them.

Lulled by the soft, almost feline-like ‘purr’ from deep in Logan’s chest, Ororo finally reached up and wound her arms about his neck, pressing her face against him and unable to deny the electricity between them.

“…I-I just needed some time alone. To think.”

“Is that what you were doin’ out here?” He pointedly fingered her still-wet hair, chuckling a little.

“Among other things.”

The thought of it made him growl just a little, very low in his throat before Logan turned suddenly and pressed his lips against the softness of her neck, nibbling there just a little.

“Are you playing with me?” she asked breathlessly, only partially joking.

“If you’ll let me.” Lupine eyes danced over her in the dark.

What slightly damp clothes and hair against a warm summer night could not do, Logan’s piercing gaze more than managed, and he only held her shivering body closer to himself with a dry chuckle.

“Logan, why are you here?” she pulled back just a little to search his eyes.

He saw a yearning in there that he didn’t want to deny anymore; kissing her lips gently, he held her close. “I’m here f’you, Darlin. Don’t ya know that by now?”

She looked at him, and he tilted his head, reaching up to stroke her cheek, run his thumb over the poutiness of her full bottom lip. The stare she was giving him made his pants tight, and suddenly Logan didn’t even remember why he was trying to deny it.

“Come on.”

---

The interior of the School was quiet, the halls full of nighttime shadows as Ororo led the way past the elevator and up to the loft. It had been her room when she lived there, and ever since no one had changed a thing, per Charles’ instructions. Sometimes Ororo wondered if her father always knew her life would come full circle like this…

Opening the door, she inhaled deeply, but grimaced at the whiff of stagnant air and dust that met her nose. Pulling Logan inside and closing the door, she immediately left his side to open the terrace doors and large skylight, allowing fresh night air and the brightness of the moon to invade their surroundings.

“So this is your old room, eh?” He was smiling as if the books on the shelves, the décor and upholstery were telling him her childhood secrets.

“Minus my plants, of course, but yes.” She turned from the slanted skylight, her bright hair shining with silvery accents in the moon’s spotlight. She was met by an unusual smile on Logan’s face, and it made her feel self-conscious and giddy at once.

Shrugging out of his jacket, he tossed it against the back of the wooden chair at the vanity nearby, and walked to her, rubbing her arms briefly before reaching up to kiss her. “You don’t mind if I kiss ya, do you Ro?”

“Mhm-mm.” She licked her lips slowly, sampling his taste that he’d left there. After a second of looking at his obvious hunger, she couldn’t stand the burning stare any longer, and turned her face away, smiling with a chuckle.

“Good.” His hands slid low on her hips, fingers spread out against her lower back just where her ass began. Pressing against her, he brought her up against his chest, hands cupping her apple bottom appreciatively.

Gripping the collar of his white cotton shirt, Ororo leaned into him, resting her forehead against his, looking down into his eyes, which shined luminous silver as they watched her. “You’d better watch it, Mister…I don’t know how much longer I can control myself.”

He chuckled ruefully, but sensed that she was quite serious. “Hmph. Maybe I don’t want you to.”

She gazed at him for a long moment, and knew he wasn’t lying. Smiling somewhat to herself, Ororo kissed his mouth lovingly, but then backed away, grabbing his hand and pulling him over to the large bed.

“…Well, this is more like it.”

She laughed, a light airy sound, and turned to him. “Get your mind out of the gutter, Logan.”

Sitting on the bedside, she pulled him down beside her, kicking off her shoes and swinging her feet onto the bed. Moving over to allow him room she smiled, patting the bed. “It’s late. If we get up early enough I can show you the grounds and all the changes I want to make before the day grows too hot…”

“Whoa, waitaminute,” he turned, still sitting on the edge and moved wide eyes to her luscious form as it stretched out behind him. “You actually expect me to sleep in here? Right next to you? And not want to”?”

Chuckling, she kept patting the mattress beside her, lying on her side facing him. “That’s right, there’s no rush. Hey, we’ve got Time, remember?”

Groaning, he looked up to the heavens, then backward at her. “That’s gonna bite me in the ass now, huh?”

(laughing) I’m afraid so, sweetie. But…” She reached over and pulled on his shirt until Logan leaned back against the bed, his head just below her chin. Looking down at him mischievously, she whispered, “…there’s a lot between where we’ve been and all the way…”

Leaning close, her lips captured his again, savoring the taste as she kissed him upside down. His hand came up to cradle her skull, pulling her hair forward to tickle his throat. He tried not to break the kiss when he felt her hand glide down his chest and slide into the top of his jeans. It didn’t take her long to hit ‘pay dirt’.

Smiling against his surprised moan, Ororo let her fingers do the walking, curling around his erection with a possessive hold. Even before she started to stroke him, Logan’s narrow hips rose slightly off of the mattress to meet her attentions, and his other hand somehow found its way upward to cup her breast.

After a few moments of this”and after her thumb lightly caressed the head of his cock”Logan couldn’t stand it anymore, and broke the deep-explorative kiss, almost pleading. “Damn, woman..! Yer killin’ me!”

She couldn’t help a loud giggle, and the slight distraction was all he needed to escape from beneath her, sliding off of the bed and stumbling toward the bathroom. “Where are you going??”

Shifting his crotch roughly, Logan barely turned. “I need a shower”a very cold shower”or else.”

“Or else what?” she said quietly, a sultry edge to her voice that made his balls hurt.

Turning to burn her with his gaze, a wolfish grin showed sharp canines, and all he did was chuckle…

---

The Next Morning, Ororo rolled over on her bed, sighing deeply when she felt the solid body next to her. Opening sleep-filled eyes, she met Logan’s alert gaze, his grey eyes twinkling in the morning light.

“Mornin’ Beautiful.”

Curled up with her hands beneath her head, Ororo welcomed his kiss, sighing afterwards with a smile. “Good morning to you, too.”

She sat up, and suddenly the smile faltered from her lips as she reached up and touched her shirt. Realizing she was soaked in sweat, she turned to him with a question on her lips.

“Yeah, I’m sweatin’ bullets too. The A/C went out about an hour before sunrise.”

“Went out? What happened?” She sat up, pulling her long ponytail away from her back.

As if in answer, a light knock sounded at the door, startling her. Logan’s eyes slid to the sound, but he didn’t seem that concerned. When Ororo hesitated and the knocking resumed, he asked, “You gonna get that? Mr. Cassidy’s waitin’.”

Stepping toward the door, she turned, surprised. “How did you..?”

But Logan only grinned, sitting up to stand and come up behind her.

“Sean?”

The older man’s speckled green eyes creased at the edges as he ran a hand through his strawberry blond hair. He was already dressed down to a thin t-shirt and loose cotton shorts, and he still looked uncomfortable. “Roro, dear. I hate te bother ye”‘Mornin’ t’ye Mr. Logan”“ he tipped his head, “”“but we’ve got a bit o’ a problem.”

“Wait a minute,” she held up her fingers, staying the matter at hand to ask, “How do you two know each other?”

Sean smiled, his slightly roguish good looks showing through his years. “Ye friend’s good, but he in’ne that good, lass. How d’ye think he got past the perimeter?”

“Ah,” she turned to Logan behind her, giving him an impressed look. “Cohorts now, are we?”

Sean only laughed, and Logan looked up at the ceiling as though something dire up there had caught his attention.

“Okay Sean, what’s going on with the air?” She went on, elbowing Logan lightly.

“Ye know, I’m not sure. It was kinde making some noise couple days ago before ye came up, but I didne’ make much of it. Then a little while ago, it just conked out completely.”

“Well, it’s stifling already.” She waved her face as emphasis. “Is there anything we can do?”

The School’s current headmaster held up a thick manual with language characters Ro didn’t immediately recognize. “Not unless ye know how te read Shi’ar, Lass.”

Shi’ar?” Logan repeated, his gaze going back and forth between the two. He wondered how Ororo and her friend knew of the powerful aliens”and how much?

“I’ll tell you later,” Ro gave Sean ‘a look’, covering his hand and bringing down the 1200 + pgs. “Sean I’ve never heard of this technology ‘going down’, so to speak. Are you sure it isn’t just routine maintenance?”

“The system shows everything as nominal, except environmental controls. Power flow’s steady, nothin’ else is affected. I canne get heat or cold.”

“What’s the temperature gonna be like today?”

“High of 93°. In the shade.” Ororo didn’t turn around, wiping her brow. “I had to pick the hottest weekend of the season to come up, right?”

“Hey, you can’t do anything about it?” Logan touched her back gently.

“Like what? A snowstorm in July? Localized as it might be, I think our neighbors down the road a mile or two would still feel it. The last thing we need is the EPA knocking down the door.” She laughed sarcastically.

“What about a little rain?” Sean looked hopeful.

“I could do that, but trust me, it’ll really suck after it stops. The added humidity will only make things worse.”

“Wow, yer power’s pretty useless, ain’t it?” Logan got a jab in the ribs for that joke, but chuckled anyway.

“Hey, I can try to give us a little cloud cover, but anything more than that is gonna make a lot of people suspicious, and in the long run just isn’t worth it.” She turned to Sean, “No one knows how to fix something around here if it ‘breaks’?”

He shook his head. “The only ones know how te read…the manual, is ye dad and Hank. Charles isn’t really in any position to be makin’ unnecessary trips”“

“”And Henry’s in Ireland. Great.” She finished, moving her silk shirt away from her body in a fanning motion. “Well, a little cloud cover it is. Although, we’ll run the risk of trapping all the hot air between the ground and the atmosphere.”

“Meaning, right where we are.” Logan clarified.

“I’ll try to generate some wind, blow the hot air around. I’m sorry guys, it’s the best I can do in these circumstances.”

Sean touched her shoulder reassuringly, giving a smile. “Thanks, Roro. Maybe I’ll take the young ones out fer awhile; a cool movie theatre and ice cream oughta do it, aye?”

“I’m sure they’d love that, Sean.” Ororo smiled.

“Ye welcomed t’join us, ya know.”

“That’s a great idea”“ Ro began.

“”For another time.” Logan finished, smiling at Sean then turning another look to Ro. “You promised to show me around, remember?”

“So I did.” She smiled, turning back to Cassidy. “Well, another time, then. Have fun with the children. Perhaps the grounds will be cooler when you get back.”

Excusing himself, Sean bid them good luck in the quickly stifling heat, going to round up the dozen or so kids and hit the mall.

Turning back to Logan once her door was closed, Ro cocked a brow. “You actually want to walk around in this heat?”

“Nope.” He came up to her, kissing her deeply, their hot bodies creating sparks in the oppressive heat. “But if we’re gonna be all alone in this big ol’ place, I thought we could finish what you started last night.”

Her eyes widened at his proposal and her blood quickened just a little, making her even hotter in the quickly rising temperature. “Oh, really?”

Pulling her by the waistband of her skirt, Logan watched her full lips part in anticipation, but didn’t kiss her immediately. Close to her, he murmured, “Yeah…I’ve got an idea.”

“Mhm?” She waited expectantly, and his next words sent a chill of excitement down her body.



“Got any ice?”


TBC…
Reunion, pt. 4 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #16 Reunion, pt. 4


July 24th, 2004
Westchester, NY
About 45 minutes after Sean & the children have left…


Her hands were aching with how hard she gripped the aluminum bucket, cradling it close to her body. All the way back from the kitchen to her upstairs loft, Ororo felt her knees wobble just a little, remembering the meaningful look Logan had given her just before she left the room a few minutes prior.


“We don’t have to do this…” she’d cautioned him, standing in his warm embrace against the back of her bedroom’s door.

Logan kissed her neck, nibbling that special area he’d discovered was a particular sweet spot before he looked up at her, his eyes already telling her what he soon said out loud. “I know…”

She filled in the blank left there as he laid sweet kisses against her cheeks, her lips, her collarbone. His hands were everywhere, exploring her body as if he were afraid of forgetting the smallest detail. When she hugged him close, leaning against the cooler wood of the door, she could feel the bulge straining against his jeans, and the thought of it made her ache. Swallowing hard, she could feel her cheeks burn in embarrassment at how much she wanted him…

“I’ll be waitin’…” He had promised, kissing her hand before she slid out of the door, on her journey downstairs.


---

Blinking rapidly, Ororo realized she was back, standing outside of her room, her heart pounding furiously. She couldn’t remember being this nervous in all he life.

Slowly she turned the doorknob, still clutching the ice bucket full of wet cubes. She barely got past the threshold, pausing at the sight before her.


…If I tell you
If I tell you how I feel
Will you keep bringing out the best in me



Just as she’d come in, Logan was in the process of taking his shirt off, shrugging out of the light cotton material in one fluid motion, his back to her, exposing sinewy muscle tissue just beneath his tanned skin. As he turned to see her, he lifted one hand to run through his damp, wild hair; he couldn’t have imagined the enticing picture he presented, turned slightly to her, his tight abs barely hidden by a dark ‘happy trail’, his hard pectorals reminding her of the night she’d spent cushioned against them in an embrace on his couch.


You give me, you give me the sweetest taboo…
You give me, you're giving me the sweetest taboo
Too good for me



Logan reached out and took the chilled bucket from her hand, setting it down on the nearby vanity’s top. She could barely stand to meet the gaze he was giving her, adverting her eyes momentarily. He lifted her chin, turning her face to capture full lips with his, tasting her eagerly. “Come here…”

She held on to his belt loops, tugging his pelvis closer as Logan swiftly worked on the pearl buttons of her silk shirt. It was so hot he nearly had to peel it off of her skin, letting it drop to the floor, forgotten. His mouth on her skin distracted Ororo as he reached behind her, unzipping the flowing skirt. Before she realized it, the soft material was sliding down her hips and legs, resting in a crushed circle with her shirt.

Openly he appraised her beauty like she was a piece of fine art. One hand curved around her waist while the other reached up to caress the swell of cleavage restrained by her cotton and lace bra. His tempered grey eyes watched her response, and a grin touched his lips when her eyes fluttered and her lips parted just barely. She watched his hand and his eyes alternately, her breaths escaping in deep rushes of air.


There's a quiet storm
And it never felt like this before
There'a a quiet storm
I think it's you
There'a a quiet storm
And I never felt this hot before
Giving me something that's taboo…



Crushing her perspiring body close, he held his nose close to her hair, loving the scent, as he reached up, pulling the straps of her bra down her shoulders. Instinctively she raised her hands, but instead of covering herself she held onto his neck as Logan’s head bent down and forward. He nuzzled her breasts first before his hot breath whispered against one perfect Hershey kiss.

Chocolate melted in his mouth as Logan’s tongue swirled around the tip of her breast in a delicate touch that made her knees even weaker. His powerful arms were enough to keep her upright as he continued to hold her. Ororo’s head fell back, her eyes closed as a tense moan finally escaped trembling lips.

Raising his head, Logan kissed her lips again, this time with a sense of urgency that was new to both of them. Ororo met his fever with her own, her hands working at the 4-button fly of his jeans. Before she could get the last one, he stopped her hands, shaking his head. “Uh-uh.”

Sweeping her off her feet, Logan turned to the bed, kissing her quickly before resting her against the full pillows. He was only a second in retrieving the ice bucket, setting it on the bed with them as he crawled onto it, kneeling before her. All she could focus on was the impressive bulge winking at her, teasing her even more than his refusal to allow her to see it.

Quickly removing her bra, Logan tossed it behind him in some vague attempt to match the location of the rest of her clothes, before he leaned over, kissing her cheek with an innocence that made her smile.

Reaching over, he pulled the band holding her hair, the long tendrils falling out of the rubber circle as he did so, falling back against her shoulder and over the bed. Pausing, he settled back on his ankles, watching her with a tenderness not often seen on his face. “Damn, Ro.”

She smiled in silent gratitude to his compliment, and lifted her hand out to him, nodding just once. He took her fingers in his, kissing her palm, her wrist and up to the elbow. Reaching for an ice cube, he rolled it around his mouth for a few seconds before continuing his now cool kisses up her arm, to her shoulder and dragging a cold but arousing trail over her collarbone and up the side of her neck.


Lay lady lay, lay across my big brass bed.
Lay lady lay, lay across my big brass bed.

Whatever colors you have in your mind.
I'll show the m to you and you'll see them shine.



She was fairly distracted by his kisses, and so when he drew a slightly melting but nonetheless cold ice cube up the same trail he’d just made with his mouth, Ororo jumped in surprise, turning her attention.

Logan chuckled, allowing her to pull his hand up, holding the ice. Smiling, she turned his wrist, reaching out to suck on the quickly melting cube from his fingers. Taking it into her mouth, Ororo bit down on it hard, breaking the ice up before she pulled Logan close, kissing his neck.


Lay lady lay, lay across my big brass bed.
Stay lady stay, stay with your man awhile.
Until the break of day, let me see you make 'em smile.



Grunting to stifle a moan, Logan leaned up, wrapping his left hand underneath her knees and pulling her body down onto the bed. With one of her knees still up, he traced another piece of ice from her calf to her flat stomach, alternating kisses in the ice’s wake to keep the water from running down onto the sheets.

The alternating warm and cold sensations sent chills of delight up and down her body, and Ororo squirmed uneasily beneath his attentions, her hands clutching the empty space just above the mattress.

When he saw her head fall back, Logan dragged the ice chip in light, wet circles over her stomach, watching the heat of her beautiful body quickly dissolve the cube into watery ripples and perfect, shimmering droplets of light. Smoothing the now warmed water into her skin by massaging up and down her body, Logan could barely stand the heightened sense of arousal he was fighting, watching her body undulate beneath his hand.


Your clothes are dirty but your hands are clean.
And I'm the best thing that you've ever seen.
(Stay lady stay, stay with your man awhile.)
Why wait any longer for the world to begin?
You can have your cake and eat it too.
(Why wait any longer for the one you love?
I am standin' in front of you.)



His hands came down one long, gracefully toned leg until he held her delicate foot by the heel. Ororo watched him in anticipation, as Logan slowly reached for the next ice cube, and slowly dragged it along the underside of her foot, from heel to toe, and then quickly angled his head to catch the dripping water, following the ice’s trail again with his tongue. When he got to her finely manicured toes, he took his time, sucking each in its fair turn. His darkened grey eyes watched her building reaction, as Ororo fairly squirmed beneath him, moaning even as she smiled.


Lay lady lay, lay across my big brass bed.
Stay lady stay, stay with your man awhile.



Purposefully, his hot tongue and soft lips moved up her trembling leg, resting her calf over his shoulder as he came up the inside of her thigh, the wet sounds of his kisses punctuating his movements. Laying on his stomach, Logan settled between her legs, his cheek resting against the slightly damp cotton of her panties as he paused, listening to the deep panting above him. He smiled when she moaned a protest at his hesitation, and slid the crotch of her underwear aside, gently massaging her cloud-covered lips with his fingers before his dangerous, hot tongue moved in to lap the slick wetness he’d created.

Angaa Saada…”* She breathed in surprise, unaware that she was even speaking, let alone in Swahili.

There was a deep, knowing chuckle below her…

Running his moist fingers up and down over the small patch of soft white curls, Logan’s other hand expertly navigated her slinky little blue v-string down her thighs, and she lifted her bottom from the bed just barely so he could pull them down her legs, discarding the flimsy undergarment as her last barrier between them.

His eyes raked over her, and he licked his lips, smiling and showing a bright glint of his canines. Her statuesque form lay slightly elevated on two remaining pillows, her hair resting over one shoulder and onto the bed, swirling out around her shapely hips. Perky but full breasts rose and fell in time with her breath, above a smooth, tapered waistline that led to a pair of the longest legs he’d ever seen. Sucking on another piece of ice, Logan watched her, and realized he could not have imagined her more perfect than this.


You long to see me in the morning light.
You long to reach for me in the night.



Sitting up on his knees, Logan finally allowed her to come to him, plucking the last button of his fly. Her hands didn’t have to search at all, as the fullness of his erection lay barely sheathed between the flap of the open buttons. It was her turn to do some exploring, and Ororo took her time, fingernails lightly tracing over his skin as she kneeled close enough to touch him. Holding the back of his head she gazed into his eyes, while her other hand pulled on his pants’ waist before she tugged down his tight jeans, the midnight dyed material finally laying bunched at his knees on the bed.

She couldn’t help the soft smile, openly admiring the impressive length and pulsating girth of evidence of his want of her.

Shimmying out of his pants and moving forward, he found himself pressed against her hot naked body, his mouth moving over hers with a deliberate slowness to break the spell of time.

His cock jumped with each breathy moan from her, snuggled between their two bodies and pressed against their bellies. Her voice came out just a little louder when he grabbed her ass, massaging the plump skin as they embraced fiercely.


(Stay lady stay, stay while the night is still ahead.)
So maybe I'll stay, stay while the night is still ahead.
(Stay lady stay, stay while the night is still ahead.)
So maybe I'll stay…


In the stifling heat of the upstairs room he laid her back against the now cooled pillows, and after a brief kiss, moved a little to reach the nightstand where his keys & wallet were. She smiled, realizing he’d thankfully come well prepared, and laughed softly when he tore the condom’s package open with his teeth.

“Here…” she took it from him, reaching down to seductively stroke it onto his throbbing hard penis. Unable to help himself, Logan grimaced with the pain of his too-long-held hard-on, but still loved every moment of it.

After she was done, he began petting her again, kissing any part of her supple flesh he could get his lips on, reaching hungrily for his new favorite spot”her breasts.

Ororo pulled him over her, resting on the pillows, enjoying his attention, barely able to wait much longer. Wordlessly, she lifted one leg, curling it around his back and pressing on him.

Taking the hint, Logan wrapped a hand under her ass, lifted just a little, and relied on his dick to lead the way.

The all-too feminine yelp that escaped her at his first plunge did something to the animal in him, and Logan buried his face deep in the soft spot of her neck, a deep, almost surprised moan rumbling from him as he marveled at how sweet, hot and tight she was.

Her nails scraped against his back with each thrust, but the pain only made him hornier. Logan shook his head to himself, shocked at the quickly building orgasm deep in his gut and tickling the head of his cock. Never stopping his rhythm in and out of her wet vagina, he focused on mentally naming every NASCAR driver he could remember…By number…In descending order.

After several moments he looked down after hearing her moan, seeing a plea in her eyes.

He moved his face just over hers, their lips almost touching, nose to nose.

“Deeper.” Was all she could manage, gently biting on his lower lip. She could tell he was still holding back, and more than anything right then, she wanted all of him. Every hot, veined, throbbing inch of him.

Holding his breath, Logan reared back, and then surged forward, his wrists cradling her head beneath him. Her arms wound tightly around his neck, initially Ororo’s voice could not be found, but her lips parted widely in a mixture of pleasure and pain. Her eventual moans were like music to his ears, as each thrust stroked that sweet tender Spot that girls aren’t supposed to talk about and every guy wants to be best friends with.

“Jesus, Ro…” His voice was strained, and his words cut short by the wind picking up around them, blowing into the opened windows of the loft and rattling anything loose around the room. Shadows shifted and lengthened dramatically, and thunder rolled seemingly just overhead.

The climate shift went unnoticed by the Dancers upstairs, as moans and sighs heightened in intensity, and the bed’s frame shook and creaked under the pressure.

Logan’s fingers tightened around a fistful of silky white hair, his cheek pressed so close to hers, their bodies wet and glistening in the afternoon light as it came through cloud and shadow.

“Logan..!” Was all she could get out, in a higher octave than usual, and when he felt a moist tightness around his cock, he looked into her eyes.

And let go.


Blue eyes clouded white, and lightning touched the sky and rode through their joined bodies, intensifying the climax like none he’d ever had.


So maybe I'll stay, stay while the night is still ahead.
(Stay lady stay, stay while the night is still ahead.)
So maybe I'll stay

…stay while the night is still ahead.




As the winds died, and the thunder rolled away, Logan’s body lay poised over her, trembling from the experience. His throat was raw (he didn’t know why), and there was a slight ringing in his ears. His blood was still pumping furiously all over his body, and with a slight shutter he brought his lips very close to her ear as his warm breath tickled her skin.

Hidaya.”**

He read the surprise in her eyes, but didn’t respond immediately, moving sweat-soaked tendrils of white hair from her forehead and out of her sight, to fix her with his gaze.

“…Hidaya Ororo.”





TBC…




(*) Bright Lady (Translated from Swahili)
(**) Beautiful (Translated from Swahili)
Reunion, pt. 5 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #17 “Reunion, pt. 5”

The loft was quiet, except for the occasional lazy gust of warm wind from outside, and the sounds of breathing from the rumpled bed within.

Grey eyes staring off into space”somewhere between the balcony doors and the Impressionistic painting of a desert vista on the nearby wall”Logan rested his exhausted, sweat drenched head against the lovely pillow of her breasts. Lying on his stomach between her legs, he seemed lulled into a peaceful trance by the rhythmic beat of her heart and the delicious afterglow of their lovemaking. However, inside the most-times complicated and always secret place that was his mind, Logan was at war with himself, his thoughts in utter chaos.

‘What the flamin’ hell did you just do?’

There was a nagging, gut-wrenching feeling that he refused to recognize as guilt swimming around inside him, fighting the absolute joy that he had been feeling for almost 20 minutes now. It was the same bleak, depressed sensation Logan had been all too familiar with over the past few years after his home life had turned to shit in the form of a ruined marriage and a fatally sick child. He never wanted that feeling to even remotely be associated with these he had for Ro, but here he was…

‘And just what are ya feelin’..?’ He let himself ask the question, but there was a part of his brain he had been unpleased with (for quite awhile) that had been trained not to ‘go’ such places, and his thoughts switched”almost automatically”somewhere else.


---


Below him, a happily exhausted Ororo lay with her head firmly cushioned against pillows, staring up at the room’s ceiling with a mixture of awe and just a dab of puzzled surprise. Her body was still quite giddy, and trembled just a little every time his fingers unconsciously stroked her bare collarbone, smoothing a damp lock of her hair between his fingers.

She was in some awe, because she’d never really had such an intense sexual encounter before. Her past relationships had always seen her sexual expression somewhat restrained, she realized now. Having grown up with the constant knowledge that if she let ‘things’ (i.e. her emotions) get out of control it would spell bad news for anyone around her, and so Ororo had become much more reserved than her more spirited sisters. Always she felt like there was something just waiting to escape; some part of her that was waiting for just the right time…or just the right man?

Her gaze fell just a little to rest on the top of Logan’s head, and she smiled a little, caressing the glistening muscles on his back.

…And then, she was also puzzled, because she never remembered Logan mentioning before that he knew any Swahili…

When she sighed lightly, he shifted a little, grunting quietly in question.

“Nothing.” She lied, but was unsure where to start.

“Ya got somethin’ on yer mind, darlin’.” It was not a question.

“No”yes”I mean…Logan…” She waited until he moved to meet her eyes. “…I didn’t know you knew Swahili.”

Something in his expression told her he expected that question, but he chuckled anyway, dodging, “That’s the first thing ya gotta say t’me? I must be losin’ my touch.”

Swatting at him, she ‘tsked’, laughing along, “The man and his ego. We’ll get to that in a moment, I promise.”

He lifted one shoulder, still keeping her gaze, and said easily, “Well, it’s just somethin’ I’ve picked up over the years. One of many languages, actually.”

“Really?” this piqued her interest. “How many can you speak?”

“Japanese, German, Russian, Italian. Swahili you know. I can read well enough in a couple others.” He thought he’d better stop there, as he watched her eyes get larger with every named language.

“On the job training, or on your own time?” she asked suddenly.

“Both.”

“Well, your Swahili is very impressive. Most Westerners seem to find it difficult in comparison to Latin-based languages. Your accent is nearly flawless.”

He felt like a complete idiot at the tone of pride in her voice. “Thanks, darlin.”

“Have you spent much time in Africa?” she asked.

“No. Not really.” He shifted again, and then cursed himself inwardly, getting angry that he was showing so many telltale signs of lying. “The Job takes me a lot of different places. Sometimes you pick things up.”

“But you’ve been to east Africa before. Where?” her eyes searched his innocently.

“Ethiopia, Egypt, Tanzania…Kenya. A little all over, I guess. I mean, if ya stop for a piss break, does that count as a ‘visit’?” he chuckled a little tightly.

She didn’t laugh immediately, seemingly deep in thought before raising her eyes to him again. “Logan?”

“Hm?”

“May I ask what sort of work you did there?” she was almost afraid to, but something had begun to nag at her, and it wasn’t letting go.

He chose his response carefully, and hoped that it didn’t sound as rehearsed as he knew it was. “United Nations, mostly. Some hunger-relief convoy assignments when I was younger. That sort of thing.”

The quick pass of relief that flashed over her face almost made him cringe at his half-truth. He hadn’t out-right lied, but that gov’t-assisted humanitarian effort wasn’t the full extent of his missions on the continent. Logan couldn’t bring himself to go deeper into explanation, however; not looking at her now, beautiful and naked and completely trusting him.

‘Yer such a fucking asshole.’

“You know, you and my father would probably have some pretty interesting stories to exchange,” she smiled, running her fingers through his hair, out of his eyes.

‘You have NO idea.’ “Yeah, you told me he was with the reserves when he was a kid.”

“Yes, and later, with the Embassy…around the time we came into each other’s lives.” Her eyes clouded over a little with the memory. There was a sad sort of smile there, and Logan wanted to ask where it came from, but he didn’t.

He already knew.

Coming out of her reverie, Ororo looked at him, smiling broadly before she touched his face. “Anyway, enough walking down memory lane. To answer your other question from before…”

Logan grunted in satisfaction and lust when she leaned in close to kiss him, her toes massaging up and down his leg. “What question?” he murmured against her mouth, his unease and guilt kissed into oblivion by her soft lips.

Unable to stop giggling, Ororo pressed her body closer to his, and received a throaty groan at her erotic gesture as he leaned up on his elbows above her. “Well, it’s been about half an hour…ready for ‘Round 2’?”

Kissing her neck he grinned, grumbling, “I thought I was waitin’ on you.”

She wrapped her arms about his neck, pulling him down onto her with a mischievous grin, and the wind suddenly picked up outside blowing a now cooler breeze over their warm bodies.


---

A Few Hours Later…
Sean and a small group of students sat around the kitchen’s island counter, finishing refreshing bowls of ice cold Rocky Road; a pleasant dessert after their afternoon out. He was listening with some paternal fondness as they debated the merits of Dodgeball; only 20 minutes into the movie, he’d made a silent pact with them never to tell Charles he’d let them stay in the theater.

Now, as he chuckled at their excitement and humorous reflections, a sudden shift in the formerly quiet wind brought his gaze out of his half-eaten bowl of ice cream. He should have known better than to react, for his action garnered more attention than the reason he had looked up.

Several of the students paused at the alert look on his face. The lights in the kitchen flickered a little, and thunder rumbled just overhead.

Sean met several inquisitive gazes, but only replied with a slightly self-conscious smile, willing his face to stop blushing as he returned to the ice cream in vain hopes of keeping his mind off the sudden change in weather.

---

Late into the night, where it is warm…

He’d always been a pretty light sleeper.

Different night sounds and a strange bed even further complicated his designs on a peaceful night’s rest.

However, it was the sounds of distress over his shoulder that finally made Logan’s eyes pop open in the dark.

Alert with a slightly irregular heartbeat as adrenaline coursed through his body, he was just able to recall where he was and why before his claws popped out. Still slightly groggy, he rolled over on the cool space of sheets between his body and hers, and reached a hand out to lay on her arm.

Even at his first touch, she didn’t awaken. Logan could feel the slight trembles coursing through her body, and the whispered, anguished moans that escaped her made him pause. Only his perceptive ears could tell that she was speaking, even though the foreign language was slurred and interrupted with occasional English.

“Mama…kesha mama*”“

“Ororo.”

He slid up against the headboard, pulling her against his chest and stroking her cheek lightly to wake her. It took several moments before her eyes opened up to his, her expression still a lingering ghost of whatever torment had plagued her dream. A look of anguish flashed across his face before he could even hope that it was too dark for her to notice, as his memory chose just that moment to cross-reference with their complicated past…

She was, of course confused at first, blinking several times at his concerned expression, before licking her lips, gulping back the sob that had begun in her tormented nightmare. For a few seconds she just stared up at him initially as if he were a stranger, but then the recognition came, and she rested her head against his chest, hugging him tightly.

Logan slowly let out the breath he’d been holding, his arms wrapped about her still shaking form. He just couldn’t shake the look she’d given him; it was too close to one he remembered from years passed, on the debris-covered, tortured face of a little girl buried alive with the dead bodies of her parents.

“Hey, it’s gonna be alright…It’ll be alright.” He had said to her then; and echoed out of his lips now.

Just as she had almost 25 yrs ago, Ororo clung to him for dear life, and he held onto her until the pale images of traumas past faded with the night into dawn.

---

July 26th, 2004
Southampton, NY
8:12 a.m.


The rumble of Logan’s motorcycle reverberated inside the garage as he came to a rest beside the Jeep. He sat on the leather seat for several moments, just staring at the wall, as his mind did a RW and FF of the weekend.

He and Ororo had spent the rest of the warm weekend up in her room, mostly talking. She hadn’t wanted to get into her nightmare right away and he’d respected that, waiting until she felt comfortable in coming out with it to him. He felt guilty when it became clear to him that she had not remembered anything new; that she hadn’t placed him in her troubled past. He had been so afraid that his face might have been among those in her nightmares.

His fist squeezed the handle bar of the motorcycle, remembering the content, utterly safe look on her face as she lay in his embrace, telling him the fractured memories of that day that lived now only in her night terrors. Ororo recounted with some ire but mostly resignation her father’s decision not to use his powers to help open her memories from that day.

Logan remembered looking down at her as she was lost in thought at the prospect that maybe her mind was finally ready to let her remember…

‘And just what’re ya going to say to her if she does?’ He thought, his knuckles itching furiously. He could’ve maintained his original excuse”that he didn’t want to hurt her”had he not agreed to take their relationship to the Next Step. How could Logan look her in the eye now, though; after he’d held her in his arms, made sweet, sweet love to her, and given her the hope that what they had was completely pure, honest and real?

“It is real.” He said out loud, with determination. “It is real.”

‘Yeah, a Real Mess.’ His mind countered, reminding him”as if he’d forgotten”that he’d just that morning, a little over an hour ago, agreed to come to her family’s reunion.

Logan shook his head at himself, realizing that it wasn’t the prospect of meeting her people in general, that had him now on edge. It was meeting her father, in particular. Just what was he going to say to Charles Xavier when Ororo presented him as her new beau?

Logan’s only comfort was that he had almost a week to figure that out.


---

About an Hour Ago…

Down the beach at the Xavier Estate, Ororo was greeted by the smells of breakfast as she came in the front door, her small luggage bag slung over her shoulder. She could just make out sounds of conversation from the large kitchen, and smiled; she realized that her family hadn’t changed so much from her youth”they still liked to eat breakfast in the kitchen, gathered around smaller counters, rather than spread out in the dining room.

She had intended to stop off at her room to freshen up, but suddenly decided that it could wait; her excitement and general good mood had put a little bounce in her step, a twinkle in her bright eyes, and she couldn’t wait to see it mirrored in her sisters’ faces…

However, not even two paces into her changed direction, and she saw Beth suddenly emerge from the kitchen, her lovely lavender eyes searching the wide foyer and zeroing in on her almost immediately. Behind her, Marie followed, still chewing Belgian waffle furiously as she almost stepped on her sister’s heels.

Raising a hand in greeting, Ororo smiled, momentarily unaware of their frantic behavior. “Morning. Sorry I’m kind of late getting back…”

“Ororo”“ Beth stopped her from going into the kitchen with a hand on her elbow.

“I know I’m projecting pretty loudly, Beth, but can it wait until after breakfast? I promise you two will get some details.” She smirked, letting her knowing grin speak volumes.

Distracted, Marie blinked, swallowing hard. “What?? Details? What kinda details?? Ah thought ya were just goin’ to scope out the School…”

“Marie.” Beth gave her sister a look, and then turned back to Ororo. “Hon, we can’t wait to hear about your weekend, but right now, there’s something you ought to know”“

“O-roro!”

Her skin immediately crawled at that high-pitched, falsely-feminine slight mispronunciation of her name.

All emotion drained from her face as Ororo became rigidly still, her marvelous blue eyes narrowing ever so slightly as she watched the woman standing in the kitchen’s doorway.

“Emma.”

Emma Frost. Or more precisely, Emma Frost-Shaw-Pierce, now Frost once more.

The two remaining Xavier sisters stood between the former friends-turned-foes, unable to move save their eyes, which traveled back and forth between the opposing females expectantly. Both Beth and Marie were silently waiting for the sounds of thunder overhead, or maybe a flicker of the hallway lights.

However, nothing happened to the summer morning’s atmosphere, as Charles’ daughter kept her emotions”and her thoughts”strictly in check.

“Well, don’t stand there like we’re strangers, dear. Come here!” Emma rushed forward, her arms wide and “embraced” Ororo, their bodies barely coming in physical contact. Behind them, Marie openly gaped, cringing for her sister, and Beth merely shook her head at Emma’s spectacle.

Leaning back away from the corn silk-haired beauty, Ororo was just barely able to keep the disdain off of her face. She hadn’t seen Emma in close to 6 yrs now; not since the ugly break-up with Scott, of which Emma’s involvement was more than key.

Even though Frost had been a graduating member of the School, she had chosen not to participate in the annual gatherings, always able to come up with some thinly-veiled excuse. Ororo knew that it wasn’t embarrassment or discomfort over teenage antics that kept Emma away all these years. Rather, it was her wish to disassociate herself from everything ‘mutant’ in her past; even if that included the only people on the face of the Earth that she could even come close to calling family.

“I’m surprised to see you here,” was all Ororo said, letting her unspoken words slip through for her.

“And vexed, I’m sure.” Emma’s eyes twinkled, and her haughty laughter was like fingernails on a chalkboard. “But I couldn’t stay away. Not this year.”

“Oh?” Ororo immediately wished she’d stayed quiet.

“Well, we’ll probably never all be together like this quite ever again.” And of course, Emma delivered, making Ororo wish she’d not walked right into that one.

Before Ororo could even blink, Elizabeth had swooped in, taking her sister by the arm and moving her past Emma’s aura and toward the kitchen. “Well, that’s enough catching up for now, eh? Breakfast is still warm, Ororo.”

Emma’s eyes followed the three sisters until they disappeared around the corner; a sly smile was still stuck on her face. She was inwardly a little disappointed by her reception, however. Imagining Ororo’s chagrin and disgust had, unfortunately, turned out to be more fun than the real experience, as the ‘little princess’ (Emma’s pet name for her rival) refused to even show an ounce of contempt.

Turning to follow them back into the kitchen, Emma smiled broadly for a moment; after all, she had the whole week to work on Ororo, didn’t she?



TBC…

(*) “stay awake” (Translated from Swahili)

NOTE: This is as good of a stopping point as any. Sorry for the insanely long breach btw updates…I kinda got a little down from all this Storm/BP nonsense, but I’m BACK now, Baby!! RoLo4Evah’!

-I can’t wait to post the next couple of chapters”they’re gonna be doozies…
Reunion, pt. 6 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #18 “Reunion, pt. 6


Thursday July 29th, 2004
The Day before the Reunion
11:45 p.m.


Earlier that morning, the entire 3-wing mansion was abuzz; it was as if no one had slept the night before and didn’t plan on getting any sleep until the festivities were done.

Over the past weekend, most of the RSVP’d guests were settled into their rooms, including Erik and later Sean (who spontaneously brought the kids down for the weekend). As the week had begun, more guests arrived, and the estate began to feel like a home again; just as Ororo had remembered it.

Unfortunately, she didn’t have much time at the present to reflect upon that thought, as she was busy in the middle of the final preparations for the Big Day. Standing in the kitchen”with Mrs. Duvahl and the cooking staff”she was checking off the final list of To Do items from the others. Unbothered by the din of noise around her, Ororo was the epitome of calm, outwardly.

She had managed to get through most of the week without worrying too much about the party, the unexpected arrival of Emma Frost or what she was going to wear to dinner the next night. No, as a matter of fact, most of her concern was on a much more personal dilemma: Logan.

They had spoken several times since spending the weekend in Salem Center, but had only been able to see each other once in that time, enjoying a quiet sunset Tuesday evening. The new ‘change’ in their relationship “Post-Salem” was both exciting and unnerving to her. Ororo could feel some parts of Logan opening up to her”ones that had previously been closed or hidden”but also there was an opposing sense of reserve in him that she hadn’t seen before. He had called her only a few short hours after they’d parted early Monday morning, but with nothing really to say. She got the impression he was searching, trying to feel her out as to whether or not she thought they’d made a mistake the days before. It was nothing that he said, specifically; just a feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Their first private conversation had relieved a small amount of that “Post-Salem” anxiety, and Ororo was glad that he hadn’t tried to get out of meeting her family at the reunion. She was anxious as all Hell, but she knew that this had to happen. She had told her sisters to be on their best behavior, and Marie had immediately guessed why, bubbling with excitement. Beth was the sensible one, reminding Ororo of Emma’s presence and questioning the sanity of putting her new boyfriend in the same room as her vilest rival.

Of course Ororo wasn’t worried about Logan like that; Emma could be a different matter all together, but she’d cross that bridge when she came to it. Instead, she was content to revel in the new aspect of their relationship, and personally couldn’t wait until they could get another moment together.

With little surprise, Ororo’s new mood didn’t go unnoticed.

“Planning on burning the midnight oil?” Came from her behind her, cheerfully.

Without needing to turn she knew it was Scott standing in the doorway, dressed for bed in a white tee and black sweatpants, his night goggles firmly in place. The look he was giving her was sort of undefined”or better yet, a mixture of emotions; there was amusement, of course, and the ever-present ‘interest’ that she was oh-so used to…but there was also something else.

“Well, we wouldn’t want anyone thinking I’m not pulling my share of the weight putting this together.” Ororo didn’t look up from the pages of lists in her hands.

He chuckled lightly, expecting her to join in, but when she didn’t, his laughter died a little, and he stepped out of the doorframe, just missing a collision with a staff member carrying a huge decorated cake. Excusing himself, Scott came to stand beside her, reading over her shoulder for a moment before glancing at her. “You’re not still pissed at me for that, are you?”

Taking a calculated step away from him, she finished the tally of tasks and neatly paper clipped the pages together before answering, “Of course not, Scott. That petty comment absolutely pales in comparison to your other stunt.”

“What stunt??” He was quick enough to act surprised.

Glancing up at him she almost smiled, knowing that she had his number no matter how well he would feign ignorance. “Why, Emma of course.”

“Ororo, I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.” He shrugged, but saw that she wasn’t buying his act.

Almost as if on cue, the subject of their exchange came around the corner just then, her thin porcelain body wrapped protectively in a short, pale pink sheer night robe that left decidedly little to the imagination.

“Scott”Oh, Ororo. Still slaving away at the stove, hm?” Lightly chuckling at her own comment, Emma went to the cupboard for a glass, and then filled it with spring water for a drink.

“Emma,” Ro smiled, following her with an icy blue gaze, “Still showing off what you don’t have?”

Scott almost guffawed, barely able to catch himself and restrain it to a pursed-lip smile as Emma’s eyes cut to him quickly before locking with Ororo’s. “Hm. So, the little princess hasn’t lost her sharp tongue.”

“Neither have you.” Ro stepped up to the challenge, crossing her arms. “But considering your other talents with it, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.”

“Ororo”“ Scott tried to interject, feeling the hot-seat burn his own rump w/ that one.

“No, Scott”Don’t even start with me.” She gave him a glare, then turned to the kitchen staff, all of whom were ominously quiet. “Mrs. Duvahl, I’m going to head off to bed. Everyone, thank you so much for your help.”

The older woman simply nodded, her eyes only on Ororo as she finished the last duties before turning in herself.

As Ororo passed the other two without so much as a glance or word, Emma moved to follow, surely with more acerbic barbs waiting, but Scott held her back with a hand, shaking his head.

After they were alone, Emma yanked her arm out of his grasp, straightening her robe. “Don’t ever do that again.”

“Cool it, Emma. You did enough for one night, don’t you think?” he reached over and sipped from the glass she’d put down on the counter.

“You say.” She smirked, watching his muscular body momentarily as he drank. “I’ve been planning these little run-ins with your ex quite strategically since I got here. I know what I’m doing.”

Wiping his lips, Scott gave a sarcastic laugh. “Yeah? Well, just don’t forget what happened the last time you pushed Ororo too far.”

Slipping up close to him, she dazzled him with a smile, her breast pressing against him. “Oh, I can’t depend on you to ‘save’ me again? Is that it?”

“Em…” Scott looked down at her, searching her eyes as she flashed her lashes at him.

“Yes Scott?”

“Save the games for Ororo.” Setting down her glass, he stepped away, leaving Emma alone at the island counter with an empty glass.

---

Ororo had barely stepped into her room before she heard her cell vibrating wildly on the nightstand. Rushing to get it, she seemed to sense who it was before even opening the clamshell.

“Hey.”

“Hey, yerself. Somethin’ wrong?”

She sighed, sinking down at the bed’s edge. “Honestly I’m afraid to tell you.”

“Why’s that?”

“I’m afraid you might not want to get to know the strange characters that make up my extended family.”

She could sense his brow raise at that, and smiled a little at his confusion and curiosity. “They can’t all be that bad.”

“Isn’t one enough?” She rubbed her temple.

“Hm. Sounds like yer trying to scare me off. Ya ain’t tryin’ t’scare me off now, are ya?” He tease quietly.

“Of course not.” She sat up straighter. “But just consider yourself forewarned.”

“Duly noted. Now…”

“Hm?”

“I was callin’ to see how yer day went, but I can pretty much hear it in yer voice.”

“That obvious?”

Well…Anyhow, seems to me you need a little break.”

“Uh, it’s almost midnight. My “break” is going to bed.”

“That wasn’t quite what I was talkin’ bout, but…”

“What did you have in mind?” she perked up a little.

“Want to come over, find out?”

---

Her feet were cooled by the pristine white sand of the beach as she stepped up to the back porch of Logan’s darkened house. From the beach it seemed as though no one was home, but her eyes twinkled a smile when she saw the shadow move across the door frame.

They were silent, as he took her by the tips of her fingers, deftly leading the way through the darkness. She didn’t ask where he was taking her, trusting him. Their steps thudded in tandem, up two flights of stairs and to the end of the hall, to a set of closed doors.

As he turned the handle, Logan smiled in the semi-darkness, sensing her anticipation.

Looking around as he closed the door behind them, Ororo admired the large master bedroom. It didn’t have a terrace like she was used to, but there were long, tall windows across from the bed, opened right then and allowing the cooler night air to wisp inside. The room’s furniture was minimal, but the size of the bed more than compensated for that. She grinned, chuckling a little.

“Hm? What’s funny?” Logan came up behind her, closing her in his embrace and nuzzling the back of her neck.

“Nothing.” She leaned into him, sighing deeply. “So…is this what you had in mind for my ‘break’?”

Pausing, he searched her eyes with a little bit of mischief. “Not exactly.”

She grinned in puzzled surprise, allowing his warm hands at the zipper of her jeans. She was barely able to step out of them before he tugged her t-shirt over her head. Kissing her lips he whispered, “You’ve been on yer feet all day, darlin. I think it’s time ya relaxed a little.”

Her tired bones agreed with him, but Ororo’s common sense told her that if they kept going in the direction he was leading her, this would be anything but ‘relaxing’. “I’m not sure your idea…mhmm…and My idea of that are the same, Logan.”

He cocked his head to one side, giving her a knowing grin, but didn’t respond immediately; instead he unclasped her bra and took a long, hard look at her before expelling a heavy breath, and reaching for her hand.

“Come with me.”

---

A soft, surprised gasp escaped her lips as Ororo took in the size and design of the master bedroom’s bath. It was easily half the size of the bedroom itself, with a separate shower and enormous, circular tub that was partially sunken. Waterproof vinyl cushions padded reclining areas on opposite sides of the room. So unlike Logan, it seemed the height of luxury, complete with his & her double sinks, an antique chandelier that looked as if it hadn’t been used in ages, and a wide, double-paneled window behind the tub that faced the dark surf. It was probably the most unique design for a master bed & bath she’d ever seen, and that had Logan written all over it.

Leaving her in the doorway, he went to the sink, where a book of matches waited, and he lit the candles, giving the room a beautiful dark golden glow. Coming back to her, he led her to one of the vinyl cushions to wait, while he filled the bath with warm bubbles”they smelled of jasmine, one of her favorite scents.

Ororo could only shake her head in shock and awe, equally touched by this thoughtful gesture. She marveled at just how much he could surprise her. “You know, just when I think I’ve got you all figured out…”

He only grinned, taking her by the hand and to the tub. Shimmying out of her undies, Ororo sank down into the heated pool, leaning back against the circular rim. She could feel her muscles relaxing already, even before he sat at the top of the basin to rub her neck.

Never-minding his jeans, Logan sat above her, his legs into the water, as he gave her a deep massage, his knowing fingers working over the tight muscles in her shoulders and neck. When her damp, long hair got in his way, he only pulled it free of her loose ponytail, gathering the locks together and rearranging it properly out of his way.

While Ororo basked in the relaxation of his gesture”her eyes closed”she could not know that Logan was secretly studying her from behind, his lupine eyes ever attentive to each sigh and smile that his fingers garnered.

There was also something changing inside of him, that much he was sure, but that change was fighting another part of him”a part that didn’t like this side of Logan; a part that wanted him to stay completely and utterly, The Wolverine.

“Logan?”

He came out of his dark thoughts, a little unnerved, to realize that she had turned to face him, touching his hand. He looked down at her and his hard expression melted almost immediately. “Yeah darlin?”

“I wouldn’t mind a little company.”

Damp Wranglers were soon cast onto the floor, along with his shirt, and Logan slid down into the warm water with her. Ororo could barely wait, reaching out to him across the wide tub, partially hidden by frothy white bubbles.

They met somewhere between, and she smothered him with deep kisses, giggling when she managed to cover his cheeks with foam, which stuck to his thick sideburns until she wiped them clean.

“I thought you wanted to relax.” He raised a brow at her forwardness.

We can relax…later.”

---

They spent the better part of an hour in that tub, until the water was close to freezing and the bubbles had long since disappeared. Smoothing his wet hair out of his eyes, Ororo smiled at her beloved, and quietly suggested the shower.

Warm water pelted their bodies, washing away the soothing aroma of jasmine and simultaneously heightening the erotic experience.

Logan leaned against the wall opposite the showerhead, watching as she stood beneath the spray for a moment fully immersed. Whipping her hair back, Ororo smiled at him, coming to stand close against his chest, her arms wrapped around his muscled neck. She giggled as his breath tickled the wet, curling hairs at her neck before he sucked at her skin there.

As steam rapidly filled the shower, he lifted her hair from her back, wrapping it around her shoulder to fall over her chest, his fingers joining his mouth in its exploratory endeavors. Grinning widely, she took his place against the wall, leaning on it as he lathered his hands with soap and ran them up and down her body.

Ororo was both impressed and aroused by his delicate touches, smoothing her pliant skin, molding around her curves as if he had crafted them himself. When her moans rose above the sounds of the water, he thought maybe he had.

Wiping some of the white lathered soap bubbles from the cleavage of her breasts, Ororo reached out, stroking the hard evidence of his arousal between them. Logan looked down, then back up at her, unable to contain a chuckle.

She kissed him, unable to stop smiling, and admitted, “You know, I’ve never done this before.”

He cocked a brow, leaning into her hand, and after a moan escaped answered, “What?”

“The shower-thing.”

“Like it?” His fingers found a warm wet spot and teased a little.

“Oh yeah.”

He chuckled, and didn’t object when she pushed him back, into the shower’s spray and soaking them both, washing the soap away. He grasped her hands, kissing them, before he gently turned her away from him, pressing her body against the cool glass of the sliding shower door. He ran his hands down her curvy body, from her shoulders to her waist and around the flare of her hips.

With little more fanfare Logan pressed his body against hers, nibbling on her neck as his hips dipped briefly. She felt his fingers feeling the way, coaxing her lips open before his cock slid in tightly.

Their bodies followed a natural rhythm as Logan grabbed her clenched fist against the fogged-up door and held her by the waist with his other hand. Burying his face in her wet, shiny white hair, he smiled when he felt her squeeze his hand…

---

It was sometime after 2 a.m. and they lay curled up together in each other’s embrace on his massive bed, Ororo wrapped protectively in his large bathrobe and Logan content in his nudity just as the day he was born. He stroked her quickly drying hair as she settled against his chest, quiet and halfway to sleep.

He found his own path to slumber somewhat more turbulent, as he stared down at her face, her eyes closed as she ‘rested’ them. He had been trying to figure out some way to bring up the reunion without alerting her to his growing apprehensions. Each day that had passed, getting closer to his inevitable encounter with Xavier had raised Logan’s pressure, he was sure. He had absolutely no idea what he was going to say to the man, how he would explain himself, or even if he wanted to. Part of him felt like they”he”needed no excuse; none of this pairing had been planned, and God only knew he never thought in a thousand years they would take it this far.

Kissing Ororo’s forehead, Logan only knew he couldn’t turn his back on Them now. No amount of programming from Dept. H or whatever her father had planned for him could change that.

She opened her eyes, looking up at him and smiled. “It’s getting late. Well, it’s past “late” (chuckle).”

Smoothing her hair, he whispered, “Stay here. I’ve got a meeting in the morning, but I’d really like it if ya stayed.”

She thought she heard something in his voice, but Ororo was tired, and chalked it up to that, grinning and reaching up to caress his stubble-covered cheek. “A meeting? You’ll be back in time, right?”

Time. He remembered joking about having so much of it, but right then he felt like it was running out on Him. “Yeah. No problem.”

Seemingly satisfied with that, she kissed him quickly but deeply, and laid back against his chest. It was less than ten minutes and he could hear her breathing slowed, deeper and steady. Holding her close, Logan spent the rest of the night staring up at the ceiling, feeling quite alone except for his thoughts and the sound of Ororo breathing.

---

Friday, July 30th 2004
The Xavier Family Reunion
8 a.m. Breakfast:


The dining hall had been arranged to support the few dozen attendees with long tables appropriately dressed with fine linens and the Xavier family’s best china. As the guests came down from their rooms, the smell of foods of all kinds met empty stomachs and the sounds of them aching could be heard all over Long Island.

Scratching his head, Bobby’s eyes couldn’t take in every delight, as they darted over the warm Belgian waffles, maple bacon and sausages, pancakes, crepes, fresh fruit, omelets”the variety of food went on and on. He got a big laugh out of the others when he stopped Mrs. Duvahl from filling glasses with water, and gave her a big silent bear hug.

As the seats were taken one by one, the room filled with excited conversations about the rest of the day; there was a lot planned for this of all special reunions, as many secretly anticipated it to be the last.

Wiping her tired eyes, Ororo descended the main staircase, dressed in a night cami and sleep pants beneath her favorite robe. She headed straight for the food, hungry after her previous night’s escapades. With a fond smile of memory on her lips, she came into the dining room to be met with several glances”two from Beth and Marie”before conversations resumed.

She had snuck back into the house only about half an hour before, and was sure that at least some of the guests knew she hadn’t been home. It wasn’t a big deal to her, but she felt a little embarrassed nonetheless. Sliding into a seat beside Marie, she placed a cloth napkin on her lap and reached for a glass of water.

Turning in her chair to evaluate her sister, Marie smiled knowingly, leaning closer. “G’mornin’ Sugah. Sleep well?”

Beth, on Ororo’s other side, giggled despite herself, and lightly touched Ororo’s wrist. *We missed you last night. Mrs. Duvahl said you’d already gone to bed, but I couldn’t find you.*

Squeezing Marie’s bare forearm quickly, Ororo paused from the resulting dizzy spell before continuing. *Geez, you guys are checking up on me, now??*

Marie “tsk”ed out loud, her eyes narrowing playfully. *O’course! We thought ya were gonna bring Him to breakfast this mornin’. By the way: Where is He?*

The three sisters chuckled amongst themselves; no one really took offense to their private conversation, however. That sort of behavior had long been established among them. Even now, after so long together (and even through years apart) their ‘Three Musketeers’ image could not be tarnished.

Ororo’s eyes met her sisters’ in turn and she then she looked down at her lap with a telling smile on her face. *Not to keep you in suspense, Marie, but he won’t be joining us for breakfast.*

*Aw, hell!*

*You won’t get to meet him until later; probably around the time the party gets started. Sorry.*

Beth patted Marie’s shoulder, leaning past her briefly with a grin before locking eyes with her other sister. “I hope you didn’t scare him away with stories about us.”

Ororo rolled her eyes, but didn’t comment, as warm croissants were passed down the table.

---

Upstairs…

Henry adjusted his specs, then leaned away from his father, a concerned look on his face. He had just finished taking Charles’ vitals for the morning, following Xavier’s first dosage of his TLV cocktail, and the doctor didn’t like what he was seeing.

“Dad…”

“I know Henry.”

“…but are you going to tell anyone?”

Charles sighed, looking at his son with some compassion; he had never wanted to lay such a burden in Hank’s lap, but he trusted none other with his personal care, save Moira, who now stood on the opposite side of the bed, her arms crossed and her face pensive as she tried not to let her emotions show too heavily.

“There isn’t anything more we can do?” Xavier looked to them for some hope, his hands tightly clasped in his lap.

Moira shook her head. “I’m sorry, Charles. Even the vaccine we’re developing is still only just past its infancy. In your advanced stage of the illness…”

“It’s pretty much worthless. Is that what you’re telling me? I’m developing a tolerance to the current medications.”

Hank folded his stethoscope back into his bag, and reached out to hold his father’s hand, noticing that Charles was shaking just a little. “That’s no reason to stop treatment. Without it you won’t be able to travel to Genosha next week, let alone hope to stave off the disease for much longer.”

“How long?”

Moira and Hank exchanged looks, not answering immediately.

“How. Long.”

“Charles, we canne know f’sure. All we do know is that ye can’t stop takin’ these drugs.”

Xavier’s expression changed then; it was a mix of pain and anger, though he didn’t say anything. For several moments he simply sat there in silence, his eyes staring off into the void beyond their faces.

“Dad. Dad?” Henry leaned forward, finally capturing his father’s gaze, which seemed clouded over suddenly. “We’re still working on this. You cannot give up hope.”

“He’s right Charles.” Moira came up behind his son, placing her hand on Henry’s wide shoulder and smiling as much as she could muster.

Despite himself, Charles managed a brief”albeit false”smile, swallowing a lump in his throat. ‘Hope. I guess that’s all I have now.’

---

A few hours later…

The reunion was in full swing, as the guests gathered on the back patio for some fun in the sun. Bobby and Scott spear-headed the BBQ efforts, much to the chagrin of the kitchen staff and Mrs. Duvahl, but it was a tradition that they didn’t want to see die anytime soon.

Down on the beach, some of the teenage guests were knee-deep in a somewhat competitive game of volleyball, their loud squeals and laughter echoing across the sand over the sound of waves crashing.

Most of the adults were stationed on the patio beneath the shade of tall parasols and/or the covered portion of the deck, their conversations of ‘catching up’ mixing in with the music from the audio system near the door.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day; the sun was out, but it wasn’t really hot, like it should have been for late July. There were clouds overhead, but instead of trapping the hot air between them and the sand, they merely provided just the right amount of shade and cover, giving the sky a beautiful appearance not often seen this time of year. The wind as well, far from blowing hot against their skin, was cool and just powerful enough to keep things interesting without sending them searching for cover.

“I guess I don’t have to ask where the great weather is coming from.” Beth smiled behind her gold-colored sunglasses, sitting next to her sisters beneath one of the wide umbrellas.

Ororo smiled, adjusting her sunhat and raised one shoulder in mock innocence.

Marie, decidedly dressed down in a high rise one-piece covered with a dark green wrap-around, smirked beside them, her lovely eyes hidden by dark black glasses. “Yeah, she really comes in handy once in a while, don’t she?”

Ignoring the consequences, Ororo elbowed her sister swiftly, ‘tsk’ing sharply but didn’t deny it. “Well, what would you expect? Rain?”

“What? And ruin any chance for a decent tan?” Came from behind them just as a shamelessly clad Emma appeared, heading toward the reclining patio chairs close to the huge pool.

The three sisters were stunned into silence as they got a very good view of her, sashaying past in a skimpy bikini two-piece that didn’t have enough fabric to cover even her ass. Literally. Wrapped around her waist was a sheer bathing suit wrap in the same sky blue color as the bikini, but completely see-through, negating the point of wearing it at all. With a clean white towel over her arm and tanning lotion in hand, she took a detour to the BBQ pit, where she made a show of draping herself over Scott’s arm as he turned meat on a spit.

Ororo, Marie and Beth watched with their mouths wide open, in utter disbelief at the pair of cojoles it took to come out to a family reunion dressed like she’d just stepped off the set of some cheap rap video.

Instinctively Beth grabbed Ororo’s arm on the table.
*Sonuva-mother”*
*--fuckin’ cheap--*
*--ass tramp-Bitch!*


Of course they were not the only ones to note Emma’s attire (or lack thereof). A slight buzz ran its course through the group of guests before they simmered down; after all, most of them were old enough to remember that that was just Emma being Emma.

As she settled down on the chair, leaning back with a very satisfied smile on her face, Scott chose just that moment to leave a wide-eyed Bobby at the grill, purposefully making his way over to her, sitting on the side of her chair and reaching for her lotion.

When he started massaging the cream into Emma’s back, Beth and Marie turned simultaneously to their sister. For her part, Ororo’s initial response not withstanding, she seemed the picture of calm and borderline apathy. Behind her dark silver sunglasses no one could tell if she was watching the spectacle before her or the gently crashing surf beyond.

‘Typical. So typical.’ With a smile that bordered somewhere on the edge of disdain and pity, Ororo finally had to admit to herself that her hopes of settling her issues with Scott (Emma was a lost cause) had been decidedly dashed.

Standing, she gave her sisters a reassuring grin, silently letting them know that”while she was alright”she had no intentions of sitting around for their spectacle. Just as she’d turned her back, heading toward the back of the house”

Heads Up!!” Rang out too late from the beach, as the kids’ volleyball came sailing quickly in their general direction, and before she even had time to think, splashed in the pool beside Emma & Scott, spraying them fully in the face.

Ro had turned back instinctively, and upon seeing her ex’s over-used hormones get an appropriate douse of cool water, couldn’t help a little titter behind her fingers. She had to bite her lip in order to stave off a laugh at seeing Emma’s elaborate hairdo drip like a wet dog.

Beth”and to a greater extent Marie”were not nearly as courteous.

Emma turned on her patio chair, giving the two a murderous glare in the middle of her tirade about her ‘ruined’ hair and foiled tanning attempt. Scott wasn’t nearly as over-dramatic, shaking the water off as Jubes, Kitty and Sam came up slowly to retrieve their errant toy.

Hurrying back down to the beach as Emma finally noticed them, Jubilee pushed her cohorts back toward the net, praying that they weren’t going to wake up in a loony bin wrapped in straight white jackets the next morning.

With a completely straight face, Jubilee leaned into Sam and whispered, “Nice shot.”

The teen only looked at her with enough innocence to hopefully escape Ms. Frost’s retribution…

---

Taking her sunhat off as she came back inside, Ororo shook her head to herself, and headed toward the kitchen to check on the rest of the food, of which they were supposed to be partaking soon.

She had just passed the front foyer when she thought she heard voices from the small entryway, and it gave her pause, an eyebrow going up. As she came forward, the voices got louder, and she gave a sharp intake of breath as Mrs. Duvahl came around the corner with a most unexpected guest.

“Look what the cat dragged in, Missus.” Mrs. Duvahl jabbed a thumb over her shoulder, smiling despite her verbal barb. In return, the tall man flashed her a winning grin, taking his sporty sunglasses away from his eyes, and turned to Ororo. He didn’t bother setting down his luggage; instead he just opened his arms, giving her the same grin, and waited expectantly.

“Well? ‘Got no love fo’ your little “brother”, eh Stormy?”

“How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me that?” She came into his embrace immediately, hugging him tightly.

“Ev’rytime, cher.” He squeezed her close, feeling very much like he was exactly where he was supposed to be.

Leaning away from him, she then promptly reached out and grabbed him by the ear, twisting just enough that his face contorted in surprise. Slapping his muscled arm, she crowed, “Remy LeBeau! Just what the hell are you doing here?!”

Home Sweet Home. With an apologetic look he took back his sore ear, and rubbed his shoulder. Wincing at her, “Sacre”What was dat for??”

“You’ve got some nerve, mister!” She pointed a finger up at him, then quieted herself a little, looking around to make sure no one was eavesdropping. “Rem, you haven’t been back here in almost three years! And I’m not even going to get into the whole thing with Marie”“

“Don’t, petit.” His gaze fell a little, and she could see then that there were still some residual feelings there for him as well as her sister. “Dat’s a road I don’t feel like trav’lin down tonight.”

Crossing her arms tightly, Ororo just stared at him hard for several seconds before her face softened a little bit, and she sighed, lifting her hand to take one of his bags. “Well, you’re going to have to ‘go there’ at some point in time, Remy. She deserves better. Even you know that.”

He simply nodded, allowing her to carry one bag, the lightest of the three, and followed her toward the staircase.

“Here, go on up and set your things in a room; we’re on the patio getting ready for the BBQ, so you’re just in time. Just give me a couple of moments.”

“F’what?”

“Well, someone’s going to have to make sure Marie doesn’t blow a gasket when you round the corner.”

He thought about that for awhile, and as memories of his tumultuous relationship w/ the spicy grad student came flying back, he nodded. “I t’ink dat’s a good idea.”

“I thought you might.” Hugging him again, she started back down the stairs, but paused just long enough to toss over her shoulder, “And Rem..? It really is good to see you again.”

---

About five minutes later…

“He’s what??

Ro swallowed, pausing before repeating herself. The quiet, pensive way Marie had uttered those two words actually had her more concerned than if the beautiful belle had shouted. Having known her for most of her life, however, if there was one thing Ororo knew of her young sister, it was that when Marie got quiet you could be certain Hell was close to follow.

Beth stood by her sisters, worry on her face at the deep red that was crawling up Marie’s neck toward her face as she stood there, silently waiting, daring Ro to repeat her statement. She didn’t need to be a telepath to know the cussin’ that was going on upstairs in Marie’s head.

Smoothing Marie’s hair back, Ororo kept one eye on the back door to the patio as she smiled reassuringly, trying to get that look off of her sister’s face. “Sweetie, he’s unpacking upstairs right now. Wait, wait wait”Marie”“

Ororo couldn’t help but grab onto her bare arm, but didn’t keep the hold as Marie stopped immediately. “Ah can’t b’lieve he actually had the nerve”“

“Marie, we know ye aren’t liking this one bit,” Beth came to her other side, blocking her view of the door partially. “but Luv, can ye really blame him for coming? Remy cares about our dad just as much as everyone else here does.”

“Ah know that, Beth, but still…”

“But nothing,” Ro touched her cheek lightly, and Marie looked up at her, inwardly recognizing the seriousness of her next words; the truth in them through their physical contact. “You and Rem can hash things out later. For now, let’s just allow our dad to have this day? We’re doing this for him, remember? ‘Ass-kickin’’ sessions can wait.”

Unable to help the grin at her sister’s down-home sentiment, Marie nodded, realizing that they were right. Just then, she caught sight of him, sauntering out of the back door, his smooth brown locks falling over his dark eyes. The scruffy 5 o’clock shadow she was used to seeing on him was fleshed out to a neat goatee”probably for his next film. A gracefully masculine physique was covered well in expensive duds; not as flamboyantly “Hollywood” as he usually wore for public appearances, but very nice nonetheless. Tugging on his hip-length leather jacket’s collar, he paused at the doorway for a moment, casing the scene.

Marie’s lip thinned to a hard line as they made eye contact almost immediately. “Sonuva”“

“Now-now, Marie.” Ororo spoke barely out of the corner of her mouth, smiling at Remy as a sign that it was safe.

“Ah got it, ah hear ya.” She murmured, and turned to reclaim her seat beneath the covered table.

Beth and Ro exchanged looks, but didn’t say any more, as some of the other guests saw Remy and he was surrounded by a small crowd. Wiping her face in a somewhat tired way, Ororo watched her ‘little bro’”completely loving the attention”and shook her head to herself. They hadn’t even sat down to eat yet, and things were already getting pretty interesting.

---

About 30 Mins. Later, Charles emerged from his downstairs study after Hank had administered his second round of medication. He was extremely fatigued, but he did his best not to show it. As he approached the main staircase on his way to the back of the house, his chair slowed to a stop. Tired shoulders already slumped, his eyes narrowed just a bit, as he turned his head to stare at the front door.

In the silence of the room Charles’ heartbeat quickened just a little. He continued to stare at the front door, his blue gaze fixated upon it to such a degree that the quiet around him gave way to the slight sound of the wood of the front door bending.

---

Outside, parked at the circle drive…
Logan settled back in the seat of the Jeep, his hands clutched tightly around the steering wheel. He had been about to get out of the car, when a weird sensation came over him, sending a cold chill down his spine.

Ever alert, his gaze went up to the door of the large manor; it was closed, no one outside. He hadn’t been nervous, really (or so he kept telling himself), but now, watching that silent door, he felt like he was making one of the biggest mistakes of his life.

Get a hold of yerself.” He whispered fiercely, yanking the door open to get out and slamming it a little hard. As he came up the long drive, he noticed the cars parked there before his, and wondered just who the limo belonged to.

Taking the steps slowly, he wasn’t sure if he was supposed to knock on the door or not. Shrugging to himself, he raised his fist but caught sight of the doorbell to his right. Just as he leaned on that leg to press it, the door creaked open, startling him a little because he hadn’t sensed anyone so close.

His eyes widened momentarily before retreating into slits of silver at the cool reception of the man behind the door.

With his hands tightly clasped in his lap, Charles looked up at Logan; the expression on his face was decidedly mixed”a fact that told Logan exactly how much the man had wanted to open the door to his face.

They remained silent for a few seconds, as the cool breeze courtesy of Ororo drifted in the open door. Finally, Charles rolled his chair back and out of the doorway, turning it simultaneously so that he was in profile to Logan’s view now. Without meeting the other man’s gaze, Charles merely sat there, waiting.

Stepping in cautiously, Logan kept his eye on him, closing the door behind him. With a quick scan of the small foyer and the larger room just beyond, Logan’s eyes came back to rest on Charles. It had been years since he’d last seen the man, but Logan got the same sense of unease now that he remembered then. He knew what kind of abilities the Ambassador had, and it gave him the same distaste he always felt underlying his relationship with Jean. They were mind-fuckers, as he called it; people who were capable of changing a person’s entire mental, emotional and psychic identity with but a thought. Jean had done it with him; the way Logan saw it, Xavier had done the same thing with Ororo.

Breaking their eye contact, Logan walked past the foyer and into the main lobby of the house, looking around as if he expected to see her waiting for him. Behind him, Charles watched for a moment before turning his chair and following slowly.

Unfamiliar with the house, Logan stopped before the stairwell, having caught a trail of Ororo’s scent. He looked up the winding staircase, but his thoughts were soon interrupted.

“My daughter is waiting for you in the back, at the patio with the rest of our guests.”

“Which way.” He was still looking up the stairs with an odd look on his face; pensive and alert.

Charles began to roll toward the patio, but when he sensed Logan coming behind him, he stopped suddenly. Without turning his head, he said quietly, “Before you leave tonight, you and I are going to have a talk.”




TBC…


Note: I hate where I stopped this chapter, but as usual it was getting a little long and I didn’t want to lose anyone with so much going on. So, watch for the conclusion of this arc in part 7, coming soon!
Reunion, pt. 7 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #19 “Reunion, pt. 7

The Reunion.

From the road, no one would have been able to tell that there was anything more than a dinner party going on at the Xavier estate, with a couple dozen cars spread between the long circular drive and the three garages nestled in a small dip at the side of the guest houses.

However, from the beachside, the party was in full swing, with music blaring, guests dancing, and food being passed around in earnest. There was enough soda for the under-aged attendees, and wine and other spirits flowed generously for the adults.

One of the kitchen staff members was busy playing bartender for the guests, and as he handed Ororo a freshly made Cosmo (her 2nd), she caught a movement from the corner of her eye. Turning toward the door not far away, her face lit up immediately as she saw Logan standing in the wide threshold, only a step or so in front of her father’s chair.

“Logan…” she said, almost to herself, with a sigh of…relief? Had she really thought he wouldn’t come?

His head came up almost immediately after she’d said his name, as if he’d heard her, and even though he smiled, it didn’t quite reach his eyes. He felt some other eyes land upon him but Logan was too occupied by the presence beside him to care much.

“Glad you could make it.” She teased, having left her drink at the make-shift bar to greet him. With a quick but meaningful peck on his lips, she smiled at him again before turning to her father, still holding Logan’s waist, standing at his side.

“Well, I guess it’s a little late for formal introductions, hm?”

Charles looked up at them, his clear blue eyes not quite meeting hers before he settled his gaze squarely on Logan. “It’s never too late for that.”

That seemed to make her afternoon, and Ororo stepped even closer to Logan, looking lovingly at him as she gestured. “Dad, this is Logan. Logan, my father, Charles Xavier.”

He felt absolutely stupid for standing there, hugged up against her as she gazed at him like that, while her father almost shot daggers at him. A small muscle ticked in his jaw (on the side opposite Ororo), and he waited a second before casually extending his hand.

Charles came to his senses, and accepted the handshake before his daughter could begin to question his silence. “Logan.”

The other man only nodded, the pleasantries ended then, and Charles put his hands on the wheels of his chair as if he were about to leave. “I’m sorry, dear, but I need to rest a moment. Forgive me.”

Ororo’s eyes became concerned then, and she left Logan’s side, coming to kneel beside the chair before Charles could roll off. “Are you alright? You do look a little pale.”

He still didn’t meet her eyes, instead focusing on her hand as it gripped his chair. He laid his on hers, and squeezed gently. “I’ll be fine. I may need a little food. I think Erik has a plate waiting for me.”

He started off toward the tables set up where other guests were already elbow deep in BBQ’d chicken, ribs and burgers. Without missing a step, he turned his head a little and spoke to Logan. “You’ll excuse me, Logan; I’m sure we’ll catch up later tonight. Won’t we?”

Behind her, Logan’s body grew rigid, his left hand clenching reflexively and that jaw muscle throbbing. “Yeah.”

As suddenly as he’d felt the tension welling up inside him, it disappeared when Ororo turned back to him, and took his hand, smiling up at him. “I think he was speechless.”

“Is that good?” He asked, a little tense.

(chuckles) Well, I’ll put it like this: At least he didn’t go inside your head to get at your ‘true intentions’ with me.” She laughed at the look of pure panic that passed over his face, and tugged at his hand, pulling him away from the door.

“Come on. I’ve got some people I want you to meet.”

---

Across the patio, a very interested set of eyes watched the couple as they made a bee-line for the table where Marie, Beth, Brian and Kurt were sitting. A smile almost touched her lacquered lips as she brought a Rum & Coke to her mouth. She’d been glad she went back inside to fix her hair & makeup after those little hellions had had their fun earlier. She hadn’t even made a big deal about it, inwardly promising that they’d regret it once it was time to sleep (ooh, the dreams she had planned for them).

Smiling to herself, Emma watched the fine specimen attached to Ororo as he shook hands with Kurt and Brian while Ororo made introductions. Things were definitely picking up at this little freak-party. She had almost been knocked over by the psychic angst that had passed between him and Xavier. It was what had brought her attention to them, and now she was as curious as hell. She could tell Ororo had no idea what was going on underneath her own nose, and Emma felt it was her duty to find out.

---

With wide green eyes, Marie smiled up at Logan as he stood between her and Beth’s chair. She was positively radiating energy as she watched her sister and the mystery boyfriend”who she had to admit, absolutely met her expectations for fineness.

Beside her, however, Beth was a little more reserved. Like Emma, she’d also felt the almost negative vibes that had emanated from her father and Ororo’s boyfriend. It had puzzled her a little, because she wanted to just chalk it up to “Meet the Parents” kind of melodrama…but there was this nagging sensation at the back of her brain that just wouldn’t shut up.

As Ororo politely excused them to the table nearby where Hank & Moira were sitting, Marie barely let them get out of earshot (for Ororo, that is) before turning to Beth in excitement. “O. My. Gawd. Beth, did ya see the body on him?? Ro did good!”

Beth and Brian simultaneously rolled their eyes, and Kurt only shook his head, his thick fingers covering his face in embarrassment. As Marie chortled and got admonished from the other members at the table, Beth’s eyes turned to the couple as Ororo made introductions once more and Logan tried to grin and bear it. She suddenly needed to talk to her sister. Now.

“Excuse me.”

Marie barely even noticed she was gone, her thick southern accent damned-near muddling everything she said. Brian looked up with a “help me” expression, but Beth just patted his shoulder and kept going.

---

“It’s nice to meet you, finally,” Piotr towered above Logan, but the gentle giant smiled warmly as he shook the man’s hand. “We’ve heard a lot of rumors about you.”

Ororo smacked his arm and they laughed. Logan only allowed a somewhat tense smile, before he caught a whiff and then sight of one of Ro’s sisters. She had been looking at him before he turned to see her, he was sure. Now, she kept her gaze on Ororo, smiling gently, though her eyes were sharp and alert.

“Hi. Logan, I hope ye don’t mind if I borrow my sis for a minute?”

Curious, Ororo turned puzzled eyes to her sister, but before she could answer”

“Go ahead, Beth; I’m sure we can keep him entertained for a minute.” Came from behind Ororo’s shoulder.

She turned to see Scott standing there, holding a plate full of food and wearing his best smile behind ruby glasses.

Logan turned to the man, slightly annoyed at his tone and presumption, but didn’t have time to object.

“I promise, it won’t be but a minute.” Beth hated the fact that Scott had come up, but she really needed to get this off her chest.

Blue eyes flickering between Logan and Scott for a bare second, Ororo forced a smile, squeezing his hand. “Mind?”

Logan shook his head in the negative, despite the hairs going up on the back of his neck, and took a seat across from Piotr. “Go ‘head, Darlin. I’ll grab us a plate while yer gone.”

“Thanks. I’ll be right back.” She was barely finished with that sentence before Beth was pulling her away.

“Oh, here you can have this one.” Scott chimed in once Ororo was out of earshot, sort of dropping the plate before Logan on the table. He took the chair beside Logan’s, turning it backwards to straddle it, giving him a once over as if he were looking at something that amused him.

Logan’s eyes slid to his left, his body appearing completely relaxed outwardly. He knew by the way the man smelled that this must be ‘Scooter’”er, Scott. The ex that was in the Air Force. He grinned, showing sharp canines; the ‘knowing’ smirk only seemed to annoy the man more, and he scratched the chair against the ground, drawing it closer to the table.

Piotr looked between them a couple of times, his expression unsure, and inwardly he wondered if it was too late to make an escape.

“So…Logan, isn’t it?” Scott leaned onto the back of the chair, his arms crossed over it as he watched the man closely.

Fixing him with a stare that immediately chilled Scott’s blood, Logan grunted, “That’s Colonel to you.”

Recovering quickly, Scott saw an opening, and with an easy air of superiority, chuckled, “Ah. Colonel. Why am I surprised? Ro’s always been partial to servicemen.”

Ignoring both Piotr’s look of shock as well as the insinuation in that comment, Logan angled his head away from Scott, giving him a glare. “The way I heard it, yer partial to loose blonds with an inferiority complex.”

Scott’s expression faltered as he fell speechless, and Piotr coughed, choking on his drink.

---

Stopping at the bar to get her Cosmo back, Ororo turned to keep Logan and Scott in her sight, hoping her ex wasn’t making a complete ass of himself. “Beth, what’s going on? Is something wrong?”

Shaking her head at the offered drink from the bartender, Ororo’s sister turned as well, but her eyes found their father, who was sitting with Erik, Moira, Hank and others. She paused now, unsure, but took a deep breath and went on. “I’m not sure. I’ve just got this…feelin’, I guess. It’s nagging at me, Ro.”

“What kind of feeling?”

“It’s about Logan. And Dad.”

---

Taking bites slowly and deliberately, Charles kept his eyes off of the table that Logan sat at. His hands were almost visibly shaking with anger; the only show of emotion from him. No one else at the table seemed to notice…except the one person closer to him than even any of his children.

*Charles?*

Xavier looked up carefully as Erik wiped his mouth with a napkin and stopped eating. His psychic abilities were limited, and so he couldn’t concentrate on opening their link while eating. Charles eased Erik’s attempt by opening his mind, but tried to shield him from the raw emotions raging inside him. *I can’t believe he’s actually doing this, Erik! After all this time--*

*I know,* Erik glanced in Logan’s direction, then picked his fork back up as if he was about to start eating again, though he didn’t. *But from what you’ve said she told you of how they met, I don’t think you can completely put fault--*

*Yes, I can. Ororo doesn’t know. She can’t know, otherwise she’d never entertain the thought of a relationship with that man.*

Erik paused at the vehemence in Charles’ thoughts. He could see how the anger was weakening him, and if for no other reason, he thought his friend should let it go; at least for the night. *Charles, calm down. You need to relax, or she’s going to suspect something’s wrong. Or at the very least, Beth and Emma will be able to pick you up.*

This seemed to give Xavier pause, but after several seconds he just shook his head, nearly stabbing the piece of meat on his plate as he started to cut it. *…I never wanted her to find out like this, Erik, but I can’t let this go on. Damn him; I remember how hard it was to get Howlett to agree to this in the first place. The problems in his past were clouding his judgment; he thought back then that I should have told her the truth when she was old enough to understand. I mean, he was adamant about it. Going on and on about how I wasn’t honoring who she really was…*

Erik stared at him through this short tirade, blinking. *Charles, what are you saying? Do you think Logan purposely became involved with Ororo? Just so she could somehow remember--*

*God, I hope not.* Charles slumped a little, reaching up to rub his temple. *But with everything I know of the man, I can’t trust him enough to believe otherwise.*

---

“Beth? What do you mean?” Ororo was getting a weird feeling as she looked at her sister, who was still looking at their father across the deck. She’d known Beth to possess a sort of clairvoyance along with her psychic abilities, but the expression on her face was giving Ororo pause. It was even starting to worry her.

Shaking her head, Beth tried to find words to express her misgivings. “I don’t know, luv. But I keep getting the feeling that they don’t care for one another.” ‘That much is obvious.’

Ororo seemed taken aback by that comment. “Really?” She looked at each man in turn; her father as he and Erik seemed deep in conversation, albeit mentally, and Logan, as Scott and Emma seemed to have him rapt in attention.

“Splendid.” She muttered, watching the seductive play of body language from Frost, as she stood close by Scott’s chair, leaning on him and eyeing her from across the deck.

“Wha..?” Beth stopped in mid question as she caught sight of them as well. “O… fuck.”

---

“So, you must be Logan.” Emma had started out, giving him a very lusty once over, confidently standing by his chair momentarily in her skimpy outfit.

For his part, Logan didn’t even glance up at her, continuing to stare at Scott, daring the man to make another ill-conceived comment about Ororo. He would be content to ignore the plastic doll, just to make sure that red-eyed bastard kept his mouth shut.

Pointedly looking away from Logan’s angry silver gaze, Scott ran a hand along Emma’s arm playfully. “You’ll have to forgive him, Em. Ro’s got herself a man of few words.”

Leaning so far into Scott’s personal space that the man felt compelled to move back, Logan fixed the younger man with a tranquilizing gaze before whispering harshly, “I only need one…”

Standing over Scott’s chair, Logan thrust his face almost nose to nose with him, his canines bared threateningly and his silver, lupine eyes almost glowing as a deep, rumbling growl bubbled up from his chest.

Piotr and Emma were shocked into silence, and poor Scott was lucky he wasn’t standing, because his knees still trembled a little in his Dockers, but the rest of him was too terrified to move. He had no idea who”what”this man was but it almost literally scared the shit out of him.

As quickly as the growl had appeared, Logan’s eyes returned to their normal grey color, and he leaned up out of Scott’s face, turning on his heel. He almost knocked right into Ororo, who was only a few feet behind him. She hadn’t heard their exchange, but the look on Scott’s face and Logan’s sneer told her a lot.

“Logan..?”

Taking her hand, he snorted like a bull, pushing the negative emotions out of his body. Jerking his head toward the buffet tables of food, he asked, “Ready to get somethin’ to eat?”

“Uhm…yeah, yes, that’s fine.” She allowed him to guide her away from the tables, barely looking behind them at the eerily quiet table he’d just left.

Still watching his retreating form, Emma couldn’t help the look of interest on her face, her eyes narrowed as they followed Logan’s body in retreat. She couldn’t help it, but that little feral display had made her hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock.

‘Hmm..! Well, he may act like an animal, but I’ll bet this Logan’s still just a man…’

---

“What was that all about?” She questioned, confusion clearly written on her face as he carelessly slopped side dishes on a large plate, moving down the long table quickly.

Logan paused, staring at his plate and suddenly realizing he wasn’t hungry. He turned to her then, his expression softened dramatically. He wanted to apologize, but he didn’t even know where to start. Each moment he stayed here, he felt more and more like a total idiot and a complete bastard. Finally, he put the plate down at the edge of the table, and took her hand. “Nothin, darlin. Just guy stuff. You know.”

“Ahh…” She smiled a little, touching his face and chuckling. “Beating of breasts and territory marking?”

“Somethin’ like that.”

“Ro! Logan,” Marie came up then, beaming mischievously at her sister before turning to their guest. “Hank an’ Brian are settin’ up the home movies in the theatre downstairs. As soon as everyone’s done eatin’”“

Ohh no,” Ororo actually put her hand to her face in shame, having just remembered that other long-standing tradition of her family; the game of who would be most embarrassed by the home movies. Each year new footage was added to the DVDs, new photos to the slide show, and the vote was tallied. Almost everyone had “won” at least once; several twice. Ororo had the record of four separate occasions, and Marie was still seeking retribution for her crowning the year before, when an ancient home movie of her younger days surfaced, where older brother Hank had used a chicken drumstick bone-on-a-string to coax the toddler to him.

Logan’s brow rose at Marie’s excitement and Ororo’s unease. He had already decided that this family was probably the weirdest one he’d ever met, but there was a part of him that wanted to be able to relax around that sort of eccentric behavior. If only…

“Come on, Logan,” Marie pushed her sister by the back toward the doors, where some of the other guests were taking their plates with them.

Ororo was quick to grab his hand, unable to keep from laughing. “I can’t believe I forgot about this. Oh, you’ll love it; you get to see me as a snot-nosed kid.”

---

The home theatre was packed with the guests, as Brian and Hank set up the digital projector and the DVD player from the small room in the back near the door. While they fought the wires and decided whose ‘moments’ to show first, Bobby and Kurt kept everyone entertained, taking digital photos of the guests for the photo album.

By now, Logan had done his best to try to relax and act natural, but every time his eyes met Charles’, he got tense again, and this time was no exception, as Ororo’s father sat in his wheelchair near the door, apart from everyone, while his lack of interaction went curiously unnoticed.

Groups of the guests took turns taking pictures together, and once the Xavier sisters had had their turn, Marie coyly suggested that Ororo and Logan take one together; after all, she reasoned, “Yer part of the family, now, right?”

He could have sworn Ororo was blushing, murmuring something to her sister all the while giggling as they were set apart from the rest, before the plain backdrop of the side wall in the large room. He only shook his head, glad he was with her, but wishing they were both somewhere else. Anywhere else.

She leaned against him, smiling when his arm curled around her waist, and hugged his neck, her forehead resting against him. Her smile was genuine, her heart full; it was the happiest she remembered being in quite some time.

---

As Hank started a DVD of Kurt’s greatest BAMPF practical jokes, the guests settled in to their seats, laughing and conversing as meals were finished and various desserts were passed around.

Every few minutes, Bobby would reappear, passing out the digitally printed photos from the media room down the hall; he made sure to keep copies for the album, but freely handed out pictures for everyone to see.

“Here you go, Ro.” He smiled at her and Logan, as they sat close in the comfortable reclining chairs of the theatre room.

She grinned, taking the two identical pictures, passing one to Logan. “For you.”

He looked at the picture, long and hard, comparing her carefree expression of contentment and pleasure to his guarded countenance beside her. It was their first picture together, and the image would forever be immortalized by the fact that at that moment all he was thinking of was that they could never last.

Swallowing the hard lump in his throat, Logan stuffed the picture in his shirt’s single breast pocket, and tried to forget it was there.

“Darlin, where’s the john?” He whispered over the cacophony of laughter as Kurt was shown on screen “bampf”ing into the girls’ locker room at The School, and promptly being chased out by lightning bolts, psionic daggers and an adolescent Marie, who was threatening to “Lay her hands on him”.

Distracted momentarily from the screen, she whispered the directions to him, pointing him to the closest one, a downstairs bathroom close to her father’s study. “Hurry back.”

He closed his eyes briefly when she kissed him, and got up, making his way to the nearby aisle. He had to get out of that room. Away from her, away from her family and all their happy memories. Logan never thought he’d be this bothered by it all, but the longer he stayed in the presence of the Xavier clan, the more alone he felt.

‘This ain’t nobody’s fault but yers, Bub.’ He shook his head at himself as he rounded the corner, heading toward the restroom.

“Logan. A word?”

He started, not realizing how deep in thought he was until it was clear his reflexes were slipping. Turning his head just a little at that voice, his eyes narrowed to slits, and his lips curled just a little as she came closer and he could smell her.

“What.”

Her lips pulled back to show bright white teeth, perfectly lined, and her light blue, almost colorless eyes raked over him like the most brittle winter wind. “My my. Rough around those edges, aren’t we? I just don’t know how little Ororo ended up with someone like you.”

No more in the mood for games now than he was with Scott before, Logan couldn’t help a low, barely audible growl. He knew she was a telepath of some skill, according to Ororo, and he had no intentions of giving her the opportunity to try sinking her psionic claws into him. “What the hell do you want?”

When he paused to say that, she came up to him, standing very close despite the increasingly audible rumble coming from him. If he thought she’d be afraid, Logan definitely got a surprise when she sighed, smiling seductively as she brushed his chest with her fingers. “If I told you, would you give it to me?”

He snapped her hand up, holding her wrist a little tighter than perhaps he should have, and stepped back, throwing her limb back at her in disgust. Before he could respond, however”

“Emma that will be enough.”

They turned to see Charles sitting in the hall, his hands folded casually as usual, but his face very plainly displeased. He’d spoken barely above a whisper, but she’d heard him quite well, and while she rubbed her slightly bruised wrist, gave Logan a once over again, and chuckled. “You’ll think about that answer, won’t you Logan?”

He watched her leave, heading back toward the theatre room but not before turning to look at him once more. He shook his head, partially unable to believe she’d actually done that, despite her past with Ororo. The lady couldn’t possibly have believed that he’d be as stupid as Summers.

Finally looking to Charles, he jerked his head in the direction Emma had retreated, grunting, “Thanks.”

“Don’t. I wasn’t trying to lend you a hand, Colonel.” Charles rolled up to Logan, his eyes suddenly seeming very hard as his quiet voice spoke evenly.

Not really surprised by Xavier’s change in attitude, Logan replied, “Fine. What are you doin’ then?”

“I told you we were going to have a talk. I think that time has come.”

“Now?? You’re right in the middle of yer family’s reunion and you wanna do this now?” He didn’t pretend to understand Charles Xavier’s motivations; he never had, and knew he never would.

“Lower your voice, Col. And come with me.” Charles didn’t wait to see if he followed, as he turned off from the direction of the bathroom into his downstairs study.

Logan didn’t really fight the itching at his knuckles, but he didn’t indulge it either, as he silently followed Charles’ chair into the spacious area. He knew this day would come; he’d known it the first time he’d seen Ororo and hadn’t told her to stay the hell away from him. That didn’t mean he had to like it any better for knowing.

“Okay, ya wanna talk; so talk.” Logan closed the door roughly behind him and turned to Charles, crossing his arms tightly.

“What do you think you are doing?” Charles had not turned to face him yet, his hands still on the wheels of his chair, and his head lowered just a bit.

“Nothin’ less than you asked me, Ambassador.”

“You agreed to help me keep her safe. You agreed that she wasn’t to find out.”

“Nothing’s happened to Ororo. And I ain’t told her nothin’.” He said defensively.

Charles’ head snapped up, and he spun his chair quickly, pointing an accusing finger at Logan. “This is your idea of ‘safe’?? I never told you to get romantically involved with my daughter! Just what sort of sick game are you playing here??”

Logan actually flinched, and was speechless for a moment as he looked down at Charles. He could see the vehemence fairly rolling off the man, but his own defenses also rose. “What the hell’re you talkin’ about?”

“You think I don’t know about You? Your history?” Charles said cryptically, eyeing him. “The things in your past that you’ve tried to hide. Tried to forget? You’re just as dangerous now as you were back then, and I don’t want you dragging Ororo into that.”

“I think that’s her decision, ain’t it? But then, it isn’t like you’ve given her much choice in her life, right? That’s what this is really about. You’re afraid she’s going to find out the truth and hate you fer keepin’ it.”

“This isn’t about me,” Charles paused, coughing roughly before continuing, “This is about you, and why you felt like you needed to step back into Ororo’s life after you fucked it up 25 years ago.”

Logan’s eyes widened at the crude language he knew Charles Xavier did not use often. It was a clear indication of the level of his ire, but Logan was getting pretty pissed himself. Especially at that accusation. “I think yer gettin’ the two o’ us confused. I was just doin’ my job; I’m not the one using mind control to keep my kid from findin’ out what really happened to her parents.”

“Of course not. But you no longer have that opportunity, now do you?”

*SNIKT*

---

For several moments, Ororo had stood with some uncertainty in the hallway, as her thoughts turned to an internal dialogue. She wasn’t sure what had been keeping Logan, but as the minutes passed, there came an ‘itch’ in the back of her mind that began to become a nag. After she’d seen the empty spot where her father’s chair had been, she rolled her eyes with a sense of comedic chagrin, knowing that Charles Xavier was doing exactly what he’d promised he wouldn’t do.

Casually excusing herself, she had headed for the exit of the theater, but not before locking eyes with Emma, who’d come back inside a little before. She didn’t have to decipher the ‘look’ she’d given her. Ororo had remembered it from years before…right before she’d caught Emma & Scott in a somewhat compromised position.

Shaking her head, she turned and left, but Emma’s head games were quickly forgotten, as she wandered the halls downstairs. She’d checked the bathroom, but didn’t find him there. As she turned off the light inside and came back towards the theater, she could have sworn she heard a familiar sound.

It sent a chill down her spine now, just as it had months ago. Ororo touched her hand to her chest, swallowing, and her eyes searched the quieted hall, now in panicked confusion. ‘What is going on??’

Turning to her left, she looked down the long hall, and knew that there was no room of particular interest other than her father’s study at the end. As she hesitantly began in that direction, the sudden sound of raised voices validated her initial assumption.

Tossing up several mental shields, she quietly headed down the hall.

---

“What the fuck did you just say?!” Logan’s eyes bulged in his face, his breathing quickened as he clenched his fist at his side. Three perfect adamantium claws gleamed in the dim lighting of the study; a presence all their own.

“And just what do you think that’s going to accomplish?” Charles was calm, his hands folded in his lap once more, no more afraid than if Logan had pulled a rabbit out of his pocket.

You’re the one that brought this whole thing up! You don’t know shit about Amahra, old man.”

Charles kept quiet for a moment, inwardly regretting his low blow, but unwilling to apologize. “What I do know is that I find your relationship with my daughter completely unacceptable. Your present arrangement cannot continue.”

Logan shifted, his claws retracting slowly before he crossed his arms tightly. It was the only position he could imagine that would keep him from pouncing on Ororo’s father and beating the shit out of the man for that comment. “’Present arrangement’? We’re seein’ each other, Bub.”

“Not for long. I want you to end it.”

“You ain’t serious.” Logan sneered, looking down his nose at the other man.

“I assure you, Colonel, I am. I won’t have Ororo getting in the middle of whatever personal mission of self-destruction you may or may not be entertaining.” Charles reached over to pluck a thick file folder from within the nearby drawer of a desk.

“I don’t know what yer talkin’ bout, but ‘Ro isn’t some kid you have to look after. She’s a grown-ass woman.” Logan watched him, his contempt for the former Ambassador growing to new heights.

This is what I’m talking about…” Charles opened the folder Erik had brought him weeks earlier and started sifting through it as he continued. “I suppose you forgot my contacts in the government. Well I have not, and I found out some pretty unsavory things about you. Your current post, for one. This Section X nonsense”“

“Who told you about that?” Logan was quiet now, his eyes narrowed as he felt his pressure up.

“That doesn’t matter. My point is that I’m sure you haven’t told my daughter what kind of dangerous”not to mention barely legal”work you do.”

“I can’t tell her that and you know it. It’s fer her own safety.” He shot back.

“Just like you won’t tell her your involvement from Kenya? For ‘her own safety’?” Charles didn’t wait for an answer to that, as his attention was distracted for a second before he locked eyes with Logan once again.

“You don’t want her to know any more than I do, Bub. So what’re you givin’ me the 3rd degree for?” Logan was distracted too, but from watching Charles slowly turn the loose sheets of paper in that folder. He wondered just what sort of information had been gathered there, and what Xavier ultimately planned to do with it.

“We shall have to get one thing straight, Colonel Howlett: My love and your…concern for my daughter’s well being are two completely divergent things. We had an understanding; one you claimed agreement to 25 years ago, but for some reason have recently decided you no longer need to oblige”“

“It’s not that simple”“ Logan pointed out, but fruitlessly as Charles continued,

“”It never was. But you have made the situation needlessly hopeless by involving yourself in my daughter’s life.” Charles looked at him squarely, his bright blue eyes suddenly dulled of energy, but still full of contempt. “Now, as I stated before, you will have to end it.”

Logan didn’t like the sound of Xavier’s command, and his posture told the other man so. Sneering, he retorted, “’Or else’? What?”

Charles shook his head, resigned, and expelled a deep breath. “For Ororo’s sake, Logan. Are you so selfish in this ‘relationship’ you claim to have with her, that you cannot put her welfare before your own?”

He blinked. “You’d actually tell her. What, to spite me? You sunuvabitch--!”

Knock-knock.

The two men turned toward the closed door; Charles didn’t seem that surprised, Logan realized, though his own brow had immediately shot up to his hairline. He cursed himself inwardly for once again letting himself off-guard so easily.

“Dad? Logan?”

Charles tented his fingers before his lips, looking at the Colonel. Logan’s eyes stayed on the closed door, his mind reeling despite the almost calm look on his face. Without answering, he stepped to the door, turning the knob, but it didn’t budge. Turning back just barely to Xavier he whispered, “Unlock the door, goddammit.

“Your decision, Col.”

A low growl erupted from Logan, and he yanked on the door again. It gave this time, and he was met by Ororo’s beautiful, but questioning face. There was just a barest hint of a smile there, which told him she hadn’t heard their conversation. “Ro.”

She looked past him, wagging a finger at her father and tsking, completely missing the quick look of displeasure that had painted Logan’s features. “Daa-ad…I thought we agreed you weren’t going to play Inspector Interrogator tonight.”

Before Charles could respond, Logan carefully took her arm, lightly nudging her back through the threshold as he mumbled, “Don’t worry ‘bout it, Ro. B’sides, we’re missin’ the home movies.”

Her chastising smile faltered at the stiffness in his voice, and she glanced from him to her still quiet father, who hadn’t moved an inch since she appeared. “Uhm. Okay…what did I interrupt here? Are you two alright?”

“Fine. We’re fine.” Logan almost cursed out loud at the obvious lie. He couldn’t understand why he was losing his cool like this, but he definitely didn’t like it. Perhaps if he just got away from the mind-reading girlfriend’s-father-from-hell, he could collect himself, and they could get the fuck outta Dodge.

“No, you’re not. Dad? What’s going on?” No such luck.

Charles finally met her eyes, a weird, half-smile-half-frown distorting his features. Instead of answering, he moved his gaze to Logan, an obvious question piercing the other man.*Are we agreed, Colonel?*

Logan’s body visibly stiffened, and his eyes cut back to Xavier’s with a menacing glow as his lip curled. Behind him, Ororo’s eyes widened at the audible growl and she stood rooted in place. Breathing deeply, he growled, “Stay…out…of my head.”

Charles didn’t blink, but could sense that Logan was the sort of man who was only going to say that once.

“Dad, what are you doing?” Ororo’s incredulous voice broke through, and Charles met her gaze somewhat sadly, as he resigned himself to what he had to do.

*I love you. No matter what, know that…always.*

“Let’s go.” Logan was moving through the door, but knew immediately that she wasn’t following him. Her hand was gripping his shirt’s sleeve, her body turned awkwardly as if she were just about to come with him, but her head was turned back, her eyes staring at Charles.

“Dad..?” She breathed, her eyes wide and searching his, though her father continued to stare at Logan’s back.

“Don’t do this.” It was the only plea Logan allowed, his voice hushed and strained almost as if he spoke to himself. He shook his head slowly; deep down he still reminded himself how They couldn’t have lasted, but to end like this…not like this.

“Don’t do what?” She turned to him now, watching him with still just enough trust and faith that it made something deep in his chest ache.

“Ororo…” Logan paused, unable to continue, unsure how exactly he let it get to this point.

Before he could go on”assuming he was going to go on”Charles closed his eyes behind them, sighing deeply with a look of concentration on his face. For barely a few seconds his clammy palms gripped his chair’s hand bars as his mind strenuously unwove the layers of carefully placed blocks that he had maintained for more than two decades. Then he opened his eyes, their blue depths shining with barely contained tears.

Oohh…” Ororo’s legs buckled from beneath her, but Logan was there immediately, only just able to keep her from sinking down to the floor completely.

As she stared up at him, it was as if she was seeing someone else, and he could clearly read the look of confusion in her eyes as she looked up at him, her nails digging into his arms through the material of his shirt.

Blinking rapidly, she started to shake her head, as their physical positions brought back a mirror image from her past…a past she now began to remember.


There was rubble…

There was darkness…

The smell of blood.

Hands reaching to her…hooded grey eyes…


“It…was you. You were…there??” she asked him, but didn’t need the confirmation.

“Ororo…” He couldn’t. He still couldn’t.

“I don’t understand.” Her voice trembled as she tried to regain her footing, leaning away from him. Logan wouldn’t release her, however, as if maintaining the physical contact could keep their relationship together.

He grimaced, deep lines setting in his face & brow as he turned briefly to glare at Charles, who still had not said a word out loud in some minutes. “I was there…I…”

Say it…

He turned back to her, his eyes held a plea that he knew she couldn’t comprehend. After so long, one would think it a relief to finally come out with it, but instead Logan only felt himself slipping deeper down some bottomless pit.

Just say it.


SAY IT.









“…I killed your parents.”



TBC…
Logan's Run, pt.1 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #20 “Logan’s Run, pt. 1


I killed your parents…

Those words couldn’t seem to stop echoing in her mind, as she stared at Logan with a certain level of dumbfounded shock. If it had not been for the looks on his and her father’s faces, she would’ve believed this some insanely cruel joke.

Maybe it still was, in a way.

“Oh my God…” she turned away from them, her hand covering her mouth as lips and fingers trembled visibly. She couldn’t look at her father; she didn’t want to acknowledge the fact that his lack of surprise was only out-matched by her total shock.

Despite the slight distance she’d put between them, Logan reached out to touch her arm, but quickly withdrew when she flinched as if scathed. “Ro…”

“Please don’t touch me.” She whispered harshly, her words distorted from behind her hand and from the lump in her throat. Emotions were a difficult concept for Ororo at that moment; in a matter of moments she’d regained memories long gone”no, suppressed, she reminded herself bitterly”only to discover that the man who’d saved her life was evidently responsible for her birth parents’ demise.

“Ororo, dearest”“ Xavier barely got the words out before he was cut off by the sharp rise of her hand in the air.

She kept her face turned away from them both, her body still trembling as the evening skylight outside the tall windows was briefly lit by lightning followed by the distant roll of thunder. Both men knew to expect this, but neither said anything to deter it.

“Just lies,” she whispered harshly, more to herself than to them, though Logan at least picked up the almost strangled words, “All lies.”

“Ororo, let me explain, darlin’”“ He side-stepped to face her, suddenly unwilling to give up hope that she would somehow understand.

Don’t…” She glared at him, her eyes beginning to brim with tears and the sounds of a bad storm grew even closer. “Don’t you call me that.”

His hands dropped to their sides and Logan’s face visibly fell. He didn’t know what to say”if there was anything he could say”to fix this. That minor detail didn’t stop him from wanting to, though…

“What the hell can you possibly explain to me?? Why you decided to get involved with the child of the people you murdered”?”

“Now wait a minute”!”

“”or how about why you felt like lying about it for months?” She didn’t even seem to notice the tears coming down now, as she glared at Logan and her father intermittently. Shaking her head, she laughed bitterly. “I guess you two have been having quite some chuckle over all this.”

“Ororo, you know that isn’t true.” Charles finally said, the sadness in his voice quite evident, though he didn’t dare come closer.

“Oh? Do I?” She fixed him solely with her gaze, taking a deep, raspy breath. “You…of all people should know better. But, then again, as usual, Ororo is the last one to know, right?”

Thunder crackled overhead, but Charles kept their eye contact, maintaining, “Everything I’ve done, was to protect you. Everything.”

She shook her head, evidently unwilling or unable to hear anymore, and backed away from them both, slipping out of Logan’s grip when he reached for her.

His booted foot barely rose to follow as she hurried down the hall, before he heard Charles’ voice.

“Let her go, Logan.” Charles couldn’t look at him, his face crumpling momentarily before regaining his composure. “Just let her go.”

He hesitated, his chest rising & falling quickly as his heart rate sped. Logan clenched his fists spasmodically, his knuckles itching at the way Charles had said that. It had been as if the elder man truly believed that Logan had meant Ororo harm.

Shaking his head vehemently, Logan never looked back at Charles as he growled, “I can’t.”


---


The estate never seemed as large as it did right then as Ororo tore down the halls toward any exit. She was in such a rush, she would have taken an open window at that point.

Her mind was on fire, her head pounding from adrenaline or thinking too much, as she reeled mentally from everything that had happened in the past minutes. Her body was in such a state of unrest that every few seconds you could actually see small currents of static-like electricity moving down her limbs. It was definitely not the time to get in her way.

Unfortunately, as she flew past the downstairs theatre, she collided with Beth who was on her way back with snacks”and popcorn, chocolate & pretzels went in all directions.

“Ro!? Luv, wh--??” Beth could barely get out, as her sister barely paused, only shaking her head and fixing Elizabeth with a tortured look before continuing past her, toward the back of the house.

Beth’s face registered shock from the mental projections coming off of her sister, and simply stood there in the hall surrounded by the mess of snacks at her feet, one hand still hanging in the air limply where she’d touched Ororo. Wide lavender eyes stayed rooted to her sister’s retreating form, as sharp, harsh images flooded Beth’s mind unintentionally from her sister. The patches of the cruel story so disturbed her, Beth didn’t even notice when only seconds later the air rushed by her again as Logan bolted by…


“Elizabeth..?”

The native Brit couldn’t seem to get her feet to turn, as she stood physically jarred, her eyes saucer-sized. Her breath slid out in a ragged exhale as the figure came up behind her. “Dad?”

Charles sat there in his chair, his eyes red-rimmed and he appeared as shaken as his daughters. His pale fingers gripped the wheels of his chair, his knuckles white as paper. Coming out of her stupor, Beth turned and came to him, now deeply concerned with his appearance.

Before she could even question what had happened, Charles’ face suddenly twisted in the most physical and emotional pain she’d ever witnessed from him, and he dissolved into tears.

“Dad..? What’s happened?! Ororo”her thoughts”I saw…” Beth wasn’t sure where to start, or even if she should, considering the look on her father’s face right then.

For several moments Charles couldn’t say anything, simply shaking his head. Tired blue eyes searched her lilac gaze; for what”understanding or absolution?” she knew not. Reaching out to him, Beth took his hands in hers, gripping tightly, before wordlessly opening her mind to him…




25 Years Ago, Cairo…

The entire city block had been cornered off for most of the morning. It was barely 10 a.m. and already the sun was unmerciful in its blistering intensity. As Charles and his escort sped toward the police barricade, he realized the temperature was only a precursor to the way his day was going.

He’d been pulled out of an important meeting by the current American Ambassador to Egypt only a short while ago, and appraised of the situation in downtown Cairo. The U.S. hadn’t been in the business of butting into the affairs of African dignitaries lately, and previously the royal house of Kenya had little to do with the outside world, especially the United Nations.

But that had all changed recently.

Finding out a small reclusive sect of the population of one country can change the global environment at will kind of does that.

From then on, the U.N. and co. had had specific designs on Kenya. And her Ivory Priestesses. Now, with the country’s royalty needing some ‘outside’ help with a very delicate and private matter, the U.S. took this opportunity to be the first to respond”all in the name of diplomatic friendship, of course.

Charles’ mind replayed the information the Ambassador was able to give him. All he knew for certain was that some sort of former lover’s quarrel had evidently erupted again, pitting the crown princess of Kenya, her Wakandan husband and some American photographer against each other. The fate of one small 4yr old girl hung in the balance.

“Just what are they expecting
Me to do?” Charles called over the loud engine of the jeep as they took the sharp street corners like the devil was on their heels.

His companion didn’t take her eyes off of the road as she deftly avoided running down pedestrians in the street. Her hard dark eyes remained hidden behind a pair of sunglasses that winked in the bright light as they got ever closer to the center of the city. “Your Ambassador tell us about you, Cha-rales Xavi-er. You help us…
control this man. Make him give up.”

His eyes widened momentarily as he focused on her accented broken English. He couldn’t believe his boss would tell anyone about his…condition”
abilities, Charles chastised himself”let alone the head of another country, when most of the U.S.’s own government knew nothing about why Ambassador Faraday seemed so convincing at the diplomatic table.

“I see.” Was all he said for a while, as they came to a stop behind the barricades. Police officials were there to stop them, but Charles’ escort flashed some sort of badge or something that he couldn’t see right away.

she pushed up her sleeve again, revealing the bright white ornament curving around her upper arm. Immediately upon seeing it, the officers stepped back quickly. A few bowed curtly, and they all parted to allow them through the crowd, pressing the gathered onlookers back.

Charles didn’t have time to question his companion’s obviously important position, as he kept on her heels through the tightly packed people. He was already ‘reading’ those around him, trying to glean as much important information out of the surrounding crowd as possible before heading into this dangerous situation.

As they came up to the local police captain, the heavy-set Egyptian turned to them, and bowed to the woman with barely more than the dip of his head before he gestured to them both, pointing up toward the building surrounded by his men and U.S. Marines with barricades.

“Up there, Major. We’ve got him held up in a corner apartment. Our intelligence is still attempting to verify his capabilities.”

Charles gaped at the man, and then quickly turned to glance at the people gathered around them. “You don’t even know what kind of weapons he may have?! He’s holding a hostage and you haven’t even cleared the square yet!”

The police commissioner glanced at Charles and hesitated before he said anything. It was a useless gesture of holding his tongue, since the young diplomat could easily pick up his thoughts anyway. “I beg your pardon, Mr…?”

“Xavier,” Charles said tightly, after having gotten a glimpse of the man’s thoughts, “Dr. Charles Xavier, first aide to the U.S. Ambassador. And no”not
all Americans are as much of a smart-ass…just in case you were wondering.”

That left the policeman speechless momentarily, until the Major stepped up, apparently unbothered by Charles’ display, and gestured back toward a group of soldiers crouched behind a surrounding building, armed to the teeth. “Captain, those men: are they part of the U.N.’s de-tail?”

Confused, the captain turned, squinting his eyes to catch sight of a small group of camouflaged men. He hadn’t even noticed them before, so well hidden among the other soldiers they didn’t appear any different until the Major called him on it. Now, however, they seemed to stand out like a sore thumb. “What the…?”

“No, they are not.”

The trio turned around quickly to see the young woman standing behind them. She was flanked by 3 other women who couldn’t be mistaken for anything other than the infamous Dora Milajae”the personal guardians of the joined houses of the Kenyan & Wakandan royalty.

The Major nodded silently to her former sisterhood, and bowed respectfully to the young princess. “Utakatifu*…”

“Begging your pardon, princess, but I do not think it’s safe for you here.” The captain ignored the haughty looks the Milajae passed his way as he said this.

Slightly dulled golden-amber eyes turned to him, and as her eyes met with the captain’s, Charles stood behind them, mindful of the fatigue that rolled off of the Kenyan beauty. “I appreciate your concern, captain, but where else would I be?”

Before the man could respond, Charles came forward, startling the Dora Milajae because they hadn’t picked up his presence. That had been intentional on his part, however. “Your grace…”

She raised a hand when one of the Milajae stepped in front of her, blocking Charles’ access. With a quiet word to her guard, the princess raised her chin to look the young American in the eye.

Charles chose his words carefully, “…those men. Who are they?”

“They have been hired by my husband to bring my daughter’s kidnapper to justice. And who are you?” She responded matter-of-factly, with just a trace of hauteur.

The Major stepped a little before Charles, bowing again before the princess. “Forgive the Mmarekani*, High Priestess…I believe your father advisors requested the U.S. Ambas-sador’s assistance. Dr. Xavi-er is here to help…’negotiate’.”

“Please accept my apologies if my father’s counsel wasted your time, Doctor, but I would prefer to do this our way.” She was already set to walk past him.

Charles felt a little stung, and later he would admit it was partially what led his quick tongue. “Your way? That includes hiring mercenaries with big guns who’re quicker to shoot first and ask questions later?”

The princess swung around to him, her eyes pained. “Just what are you--?!”

One of the Milajae interrupted, as a member of the mercenary team gestured, speaking thru his comm.-link to her.

Forgetting Charles, the captain and the Major, the princess stood apart with her guards, who apprised her of the situation reported by the merc team. Behind them, the Major touched Charles on the shoulder.

“Dr., forgive, please. I take you back to the Embassy.”

“Wait--!” Charles shook his head, pointing to the princess & then the building. “I can’t just leave now! What about”“

“Her grace made it clear…”

“Major…” Charles met the woman’s eyes with all the determination he could summon. “I’ve got to try.”

She glanced at the huddle of the princess & her guards for several seconds before responding quietly, “Let us go.”

Charles nodded, following her toward the base of the hotel. They didn’t get far, as one of the mercenaries spied them, and blocked the Major’s path. “Just where in hell d’ya think yer goin’, darlin?”

The woman looked down at the stocky man with a level of disdain Charles had rarely seen, her right hand quietly resting on the hilt of her holstered gun. “Listen, you have job to do, and so do I, mercenary. Now step aside.”

The man chewed on the stub of a cigar in his mouth before rolling it out between two dirty fingers to jab in the air in her direction. “Uh-uh, I don’t think so. The royals are payin’ too goddamn much to let local police screw this gig up fer us.”

Charles recoiled at the man’s callous attitude, and watched the cold, flint-colored eyes as he sized both of them up. “There’s a small child up there. We’re simply trying to save her life before”“

“Spare me the details, boy.” The man flicked the end of the cigar away, sniffing at Charles. He paused, biting back whatever he was about to say next, and changed his mind, amending, “Ah…so that’s why
yer here.”

“What?” Charles stepped back with the slightly menacing look the man was giving him now.

“Yer a mutant…” The man paused, almost as if he were waiting for Charles to deny it. When he didn’t, “…well, you can play mind games with this sonuvabitch all damn day, but I got a job t’do…”

Charles almost followed him as the shorter man stalked back to the small group waiting for him at the entrance to the hotel, but something alerted him, taking his attention back to the Dora Milajae and their charge. After a few moments, he grabbed the Major’s sleeve. “Look, something’s happened! You’ve got to get me up there.”

“It’s too late.”

They turned to see the captain standing behind them, motioning them toward him. When Charles & the Major came behind the barricade, crouching down behind a police vehicle, the man explained.

“Our team up on the 7th floor just alerted me; Munroe is becoming more unstable. He’s demanding the princess N’Dare come up there to see him. If she does, he’ll release the child.”

“My God!” Charles was beyond agitated, turning to see the young princess make her way toward the building. “She can’t be serious!”

“He’s made his position clear.” The captain sighed, wiping the sweat from his face. “And so has her majesty. She ordered me to bring our men out and allow her Dora Milajae and those…men her people hired, to take over.”

“This is insane!” Charles stood up, but the Major dragged him back down. He looked at her as though she was crazy. “Let. Me. Up. There. At least allow me to try to resolve this peacefully, before those mercenaries cause more trouble.”

“This isn’t our fight anymore, Dr.” The Major said quietly, looking up to the building. “Our government is going to respect the wishes of the Wakandan & Kenyan Houses. Captain?”

“Yes?”

“You’ll want to clear this square. Immediately.”


---


Upstairs, in the dark hallway…,
The mercenary team crouched down low against the wall, their leader first, his wild dark hair falling down into his eyes as he turned to see the Kenyan princess ascending the stairs below them.

He watched her graceful beauty, the stoic way she seemed to acknowledge some sort of predestined fate, as if she were marching to her own hanging. He nodded, seeing that she’d left her ever-present personal guards below, despite their objections. He knew that the only way he was going to get this done was without the watchful eye of the Milajae, and to play right into this fucker David Munroe’s hands; make him believe the princess was there alone, and then yank that rug right out from beneath him.

Turning away, he locked eyes with his 2nd in command, and silently communicated to Victor to be on the ready. Once N’Dare was inside, everything was going to move quickly.

Victor nodded to his Lieutenant, and gestured via sign language the intel their Eyes had, only several feet away closest to the door of David Munroe’s room: ‘1 adult male, hostage-taker; 1 child, hostage; room is 10’x11’, unsecured; subject appears armed and should be considered dangerous’.

“N’Daaaarrre!”

The merc team paused, freezing like stone at the blood-curdling yell. There was desperation in that voice that the team leader didn’t like. He turned to the princess, and their eyes met as David screamed her name again. The Lt. saw years of strain and anguish in the gold orbs piercing him, but her sad position barely registered on his radar of limited emotions.

N’Dare closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. Without looking at the Canadian Lt., she spoke quietly (knowing he could hear): “My husband paid you for David’s head. Now
I’m paying you for my daughter’s life.”

She reached over to leave something unseen in his palm, and stood up quickly, carefully walking toward the door, and David Munroe’s screams.




“There is a woman in Somalia
scraping for pearls on the roadside
there's a force stronger than nature
keeps her will alive

this is how she's dying
she's dying to survive
don't know what she's made of
i would like to be that brave…”





Squeezing his fist closed, the Lt. shoved his hand in his jacket, his face no different than before. Across the hall from him, Victor gave him a weird look, but the Lt. shrugged his unspoken inquiry off, reminding his team silently to keep on their toes.

“Where is N’Dare?! I want t’see her, NOW!!”

She closed her eyes to his pain, a single tear rolling down her cheek as she stood before the door, her palms open to show him she was unarmed.



“She cries to the heaven above
there is a stone in my heart
she lives a life she didn't choose
and it hurts like brand-new shoes…”




Standing there in the middle of the room, his clothes worn, dirty and tattered, David Allan Munroe clutched the small four-year old girl protectively against this breast, as if she and the promise of seeing her mother again were the only things keeping him alive.

As N’Dare met his turbulent gaze, she never doubted that.

‘So,’ she thought to herself, taking one hesitant step inside, ‘this is my price?’

“Y-You…you came..!” David shook visibly, holding the young girl’s head close to his collar, shielding her face partially with his hand.

“I did.” N’Dare spoke and moved carefully, remembering exactly where she was supposed to be standing, and when. “Just as you asked, David. Now, may I see my child?”

Our child”Our, child.” He corrected her, his blood-shot, glassy eyes watching her like a hawk.

“Yes.” Was all N’Dare said, purposefully coming close, but slow enough so he wasn’t too anxious about it. All she had to do was get Ororo out of his arms…

Clinging to the madman, the young girl looked up at her mother, unsure exactly what was going on, nor what to do. For the past few days her entire world had consisted of back alleys, dirty rooms and the temper of this man as it ran hot & cold. She only knew that he told her keeping quiet would keep her out of trouble. After he’d hit her the 1st time, she didn’t want to be in trouble again.



“There is a woman in Somalia
scraping for pearls on the roadside
there's a force stronger than nature
keeps her will alive

this is how she's dying
she's dying to survive
don't know what she's made of
i would like to be that brave…”




“I”I couldn’t let them take you both away from me..!” David rushed into explanation at the distant, cool look in N’Dare’s eyes. He took a step back, putting space between them unconsciously. “I sacrificed everything”everything”to be with you, N’Dare…They won’t even let me back into my own country now, took my passport, tried to arrest me…”

“I know, David.”

“I couldn’t stay there. Not after the torture…Your father and that”that jackass T’Chaka wanted to kill me! I couldn’t let them…do that, I just couldn’t let them. And-and then raise my child”
My Child!”in that harem in Wakanda?!! Hell no!”

She was able to get close enough to lay a reassuring hand on her daughter’s uncombed white curls…

“That’s why I stabbed Him..!” David finished quietly, his voice a harsh whisper.

N’Dare kept her eyes down, watching Ororo closely, willing her strength into the young girl, to keep her calm, to keep her quiet, until it was time. “I know.”

“You still love me, don’t you? N’Dare?”

She tugged gently on Ororo then, as if making it clear that in order to get that answer, he’d have to let the girl go.

David grudgingly let the small one out of his vice-like grip, into her mother’s embrace, waiting with bated breath for his answer.

“Yes, David.” She nearly crushed her daughter to her chest, her heart thumping so loudly, N’Dare knew David would hear it. As she looked back at him, her breath caught in her throat, and she nearly stumbled, eyes widening tremendously.

Standing there with explosives strapped to his chest beneath his coat, David sighed, smiling. “I love you too.”



Out in the hallway…
Victor’s Eyes alerted the team, and he turned to his Lt., gesturing quickly and urgently.


“Fuck.”

The Lt. was barely up and off of his haunches before he saw Victor cocking his rifle in a run toward the door. His voice was useless, his legs seemed even more so. He couldn’t get to his team quick enough, to warn them, to tell them he had changed their mission, to protect them against the mad-man inside that room.

An ear-piercing scream greeted the Lt. as he rounded the room’s threshold. His acute senses barely had time to take in the scene, as Victor ran in, diving toward David Munroe; N’Dare yelled out to him, running to him with a small white-haired bundle clutched in her arms; David was attempting to fend off Victor’s attack, and reach for the trigger release on the bomb strapped to his body.



“There is a woman in Somalia
the sun gives her no mercy
the same sky we lay under
burns her to the bone
long as afternoon shadows
it's gonna take her to get home
each grain carefully wrapped up
pearls for her little girl

‘allelujah
‘allelujah…”




The Lt. remembered grabbing for N’Dare instinctively, trying to shield her as the percussion from the explosion reverberated in an outward radius, crystallizing the glass of the windows, and shaking the room’s structural integrity.

He felt hot wind rush to his face, as N’Dare kept her child’s body safely cushioned between theirs, refusing to allow him to cover them both. As they fell through the opened hole in the floor, he folded his body around the small girl in his arms, covering her head and as much of her trunk as he could, and just hoping she had sense enough to hang on.


Plaster, glass and concrete rained down on them, and the Lt. felt his heavy body land solidly against something hard; it hurt like hell, but he knew the pain meant he was still alive, and hadn’t been blown to pieces.

Buried beneath the rubble, all he could hear through the ringing of his ears was the muffled sound of distant screams, but even those were drowned out by the pitiful whimpers below him.

Opening his eyes, he was surprised to see part of N’Dare’s body nearby, partially covered by a portion of the wall, her thin brown arm reaching out toward him”no, not to him, but the body he still held protectively against him. Amazingly, a tiny frail arm was stretched out awkwardly, gripping the lifeless fingers of her mother.



“She cries to the heaven above
there is a stone in my heart
she lives in a world she didn't choose
and it hurts like brand-new shoes


…hurts like brand-new shoes”




Disentangling the girl’s fingers from her mother’s, the Lt. held her near battered body as he struggled to unearth them from the ruins. The light of day was slow in coming, but finally he could stand, albeit shakily. Dust & debris surrounded them; he hurt in too many places to count; the kid wasn’t doing too hot either, and there was no sign of his team. Everything was so quiet…

He didn’t know if it was the realization of N’Dare’s sacrifice, the look he’d seen in David’s eyes, or the sound of this child’s tired, broken sobs, but something in Lt. Howlett’s resolve finally succumbed, and he reached down, shielding her face so she couldn’t see what was left of her mother’s body.

“It’s okay…it’s gonna be okay.”




---


Visibly shaken, Beth fell back against the carpeted floor, landing on her behind as the mental contact and physical proximity to her father was broken. Tears freely streamed down her face as she fought the trauma that felt all-too-real, though she realized it was only from the memories of her sister, the 1st hand account from Logan and Charles, that her father had held inside for a quarter of a century.

She looked up at him, her lovely eyes a question, a deep sense of betrayal that had almost mirrored Ororo’s. Shaking her head, she couldn’t seem to speak, to verbally translate all that was running through he mind, but nor was she able to call forth any telepathic ability to take its place.


---


Bright blue eyes turned to white clouds as Ororo watched Logan from the several feet of beach between them. He had been able to stop her finally, some yards away from the house, but she wouldn’t let him within a few feet of her. Now, as they squared off, a hard, cold rain pelted them, soaking their clothes, and a merciless wind gusted every few minutes, threatening to knock Logan off of his feet (and simultaneously reminding him of the power he was dealing with).

Ororo’s clouded gaze stared hard at him. She couldn’t believe what he’d just told her, and her expression confirmed that.

A ‘Love triangle’…The jealous prince…a woman trapped by duty & honor, the love of her child.

And the mercenary in the middle of it all.

“You knew she wasn’t going to walk out of there alive.” It wasn’t a question. “You were going to kill them yourself, together.”

“It’s what N’Dare wanted.” His voice was quiet, cryptic, and he couldn’t look her in the eye right then. “She knew even if she got you out alive, her husband would never allow you to see yer next birthday. David’s antics all but assured that. The peace between Wakanda & Kenya hinged on those 2 houses playin’ nice. N’Dare havin’ another man’s baby wasn’t part o’ that deal.”

“B-But, Dav”my…father”“

“Munroe had issues long before he met yer mother. I didn’t find that out till later, though. The attempt on T’Chaka’s life was just the last straw. He was gonna die, no matter how that cake was sliced. N’Dare still felt something for him though, I guess. But more than that, she wanted to make sure you got out alright. We didn’t have a clue what Munroe was up to, but I think she realized it was too late fer them.”

“And that’s where you came in?” Ororo spat, cutting her eyes to him. She found she could barely look at him now, without seeing everything else she now remembered. It was all too much. Just too much.

“I gave her my word.”

“And she gave you her money.” Came out before she even realized it. The quickly covered look of hurt in his eyes didn’t faze Ororo one bit, however. She was hurting, and so much that she wanted someone else to share in the feeling.

Logan raised his hands, unsure what to do, then dropped them to his sides. “I dunno what to say, darlin’.”

She started walking past him, her clear blue eyes harder than he ever thought he’d see them. “I think you and my father have said enough…”

“Wait.” He reached out to grab her wrist, needing to make her understand, to forgive him, but Ororo wasn’t going to have any part of it. She yanked her hand from his grasp, and it went up into the air sharply, about to come down at him.

For a long pregnant pause, she stood there, her hand in the air, before lowering it to her side, still trembling in anger. Shaking her head, she turned away, and started walking back toward the dark house.

“Goodbye, Logan.”

His chest felt cold and empty inside at the tone in her voice, the way her eyes looked over him as though he were less than a stranger”no, more like an enemy.

Logan stood there, watching her leave, taking any remaining piece of him that was still able to Feel right along with her.





To Be Continued…


Notes:
(translated from Swahili)
* “Majesty” (translated from Swahili)
** “American” (translated from Swahili)
Logan's Run, pt.2 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #21 “Logan’s Run, pt. 2


Southampton, NY
Saturday, July 31st, 2004
Sometime in the early morning before light…


A warm shower hadn’t helped.

The quiet solitude of his home was now more a reminder of just how thoroughly alone he truly was.

Crushing the tall empty beer can in his hand, Logan let a powerful belch erupt from his throat that stung for barely a second. It was his last beer, and the fact that his weak buzz was quickly losing the battle against his mutated metabolism and healing factor only angered him more.

With more force than was necessary, he reared back and sent the crushed metal speedball into the pile several feet before him. Aluminum scattered everywhere, but by now it made little difference, only complimenting the rest of the destruction in the house.

For the past several hours, Logan had laid waste to his Southampton home, destroying any and everything he could. The inside of the house literally looked as though a hurricane had been born within it. Almost nothing was spared. With a clear, concentrated effort, he sought out and destroyed every piece of his lovely home that Ororo had touched.

With a dry, cryptic laugh, he thought about what he’d done, realizing he didn’t even have a bed to sleep in. The master bath was going to need remodeling as well, after repeated abuse from adamantium.

Did he feel any better?

‘Not a goddamn bit.’

Slowly he stood from the recliner, stepping through the mess around him on the floor and heading for the kitchen”or rather what was left of it. He knew there wasn’t anymore beer, but maybe some harder liquor had escaped his search earlier.

Anything to take this pain away.

After several minutes yielded only a half a bottle of scotch that tasted more like piss, Logan quickly guzzled it, then did his best Nolan Ryan impression as it sailed across the room, exploding against the far wall where the range had been gutted.

‘I dunno why yer so fuckin’ surprised, ass-wipe. You knew she was gonna find out…sooner or later. She had to.’

Growling, he cursed himself, fighting those self-destructive thoughts. His inner war with his behavior was precisely what had him emptying his entire alcohol stock into his body in a matter of a couple hours. Logan was desperate to get so stinking drunk that the rational part of his mind would either shut down or just plain shut up.

‘Keep drinkin’. All the dirty scotch in the world won’t make ya forget that look she gave ya.’

With an exasperated yell, he whirled around, sending his balled fist into the stainless steel refrigerator that had been the last appliance to survive his rampage. Quietly Logan just looked at the deep dent left in the front of the right side door. His delicate ears picked up something dropping and leaking inside, but he really couldn’t have cared less at that point.

After a few seconds, he just grumbled, shaking his head as he looked away. Unfortunately, the first thing he saw was the Little Mermaid magnet at his feet. Well, the green-tinted fins were there.

With a sick feeling, Logan dropped to his knees, sifting through the trash and debris on the floor, trying to find the other pieces of the magnet. Amahra’s favorite.

“Fuckin’ asshole…idiot muthafucker…” He mumbled, unable to find the other pieces of the now broken trinket.

He was about to give up, spootting his rumpled shirt on the floor; the one he’d worn to the reunion earlier. It was still plenty wet from the rain, and was now stained with several things that had joined it on the floor. The ruined shirt wasn’t what had gotten Logan’s attention, however. Slowly, he reached in the folds for the corner of the thick paper that peeked out.

He didn’t notice his fingers tremble as they brought the glossy paper up to his face. Logan’s eyes hardened, but inside his chest, something tightened…It hurt like hell.

Smiling back at him was Ororo’s beautiful face, close to his as she hugged him. He’d forgotten about the picture taken at the reunion. Now as he re-examined it, he shook his head, laughing bitterly at the irony of taking their first picture together on the night she dumped him.

Closing his eyes for several seconds, Logan’s head dropped, and there was a sick satisfaction he felt at the sound of the paper crumpling in his hand.

As he stood, heading for the back door, it fell from his fingers, somewhere on the floor along with the rest of the mess.


---


Outside, he breathed deeply, surprised how clear the air was and how cool the late night breeze was. As his feet dug into the white sand of the beach, Logan looked out over the dark water as it crashed against the surf lazily. He stood rooted in place, as his mind went back to a time when he had lain back against the steps of his house with Ororo and watched the waves.

They hadn’t talked at all”just watched the magnificent scene before them”and he knew then that if he were ever able to love again, it would be this woman.


---


Her brilliant white hair was wrapped tightly in a bun and then covered snugly with a baseball cap she’d ‘borrowed’ from her brother Henry. The lip of the Yankees’ cap shielded much of her face, and she kept her head down as she lifted the strap of the carry-all over her shoulder.

Despite how late it was, there was a fair amount of passengers on the ferry, and she used ‘people watching’ as an excuse to keep her mind off of her troubles. Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before even that held no comfort.

Her eyes caught sight of a young couple near the railing of the observation deck of the ferry, standing very close to each other, totally immersed in one another as they watched others board, waiting for the vessel to start it’s journey back to the mainland.

Ororo’s eyes softened a little, seeing the youth’s arm protectively wrap around his beloved, the female leaning into his embrace, their heads touching as they were lost in the intimacy of their conversation.

She tried to ignore them, to stop staring at them, but it was no use; at this point, a set of kitchen knives would remind her of Logan. Taking a seat as far away from everyone else as she could get, Ororo hugged herself closer, dipping her chin in the solitude and warmth of the large coat (she’d also ‘borrowed’) that hid her body. Squeezing the collar around her cheeks, she took a deep, but ragged breath, and tried not to cry.



“I pace the length of my unmade room
In times of change
My bags are packed, guess I'm leaving
the womb
Into the rain

We never found
A place to hide
Some peace of mind
God knows we tried”




Looking up toward the midnight sky, Logan inhaled deeply, watching the twinkling stars that reminded him of the silver shine of her soft hair. In the midst of all that silver, there was one bright blue star, seemingly the most luminous of them all; it was the exact color of her eyes when she looked at him while they made love in his bed.



“Toes in the sand, the seductive sway
Ooh...nothing better, babe
Across the bay--Sarasota Way
We held together

We never found
A place to hide
Some peace of mind
God knows we tried, yeah…

Into the rain:
The summer rain”




She closed her eyes tightly at the image in her mind of his hands on her body, but it did no good, because in some insane, unfair way Ororo could still feel Logan all around her; his nose in her hair, those sharp teeth nipping at her neck, his warm breath against her lips and the powerful thrust of their joined hips…

A little jolt ran thru her body just at the thought, and she angrily shook such memories away, but it didn’t matter. The deep-timbered chuckle that reminded her of a grizzly echoed in her skull. She could still see with vivid clarity the first time she’d made him laugh.



“So we walk down to Memorial Beach
Where things began
Honey days and nights without sleep
Lost in the sand

We never found
A place to hide
Some peace of mind
God knows we tried, yeah”




Closing his eyes, Logan let his head fall back as a strong gust of wind blew over him. He could remember the last time he felt such pain, and it only made everything worse. There was a very real, literal hurt in his chest, and he shook his head with finality, realizing”not for the first time in his life”that although it was the last thing Logan wanted, the Wolverine always knew he was ultimately destined to walk this Life alone.

His dulled grey eyes softened, and a look of resignation clouded his face. Slowly he turned, and headed back toward the house.



“We never found
A place to hide
Some peace of mind
God knows we tried, yeah

So we walk down to Memorial Beach”




---


A Few Days Later, the Xaviers’ beachside estate was much quieter, as most of the guests had said their goodbyes and headed for the airports back to their destinations. Only Henry, Beth, Marie & Remy remained, aside from Erik & Charles. Right then, the quartet sat solemnly at the large kitchen table, nursing their meals as Mrs. Duvahl and the staff silently did their jobs in the background.

In the aftermath of the reunion, word had spread like wildfire about what had happened. Of course, 2nd hand information turned to 3rd & 4th, and before the night was over, Charles found himself straightening out more misconceptions and out-right wrong information than anything else.

It was finally Beth that ended the round table of Twenty Questions, reminding everyone that although they were concerned about their sister and friend, this news was still very much a part of Ororo’s private life, and as such should remain so.

Charles greatly appreciated his daughter’s influence, but inwardly realized some of his family felt much the same as Ororo did about his decision to keep her past from her. He couldn’t blame them, but it still hurt nonetheless.

“Anybody heard from ‘Ro yet?”

Her siblings looked up at Marie, who was the first to break the silence among them since they’d quietly joined each other at the table. Several looks were exchanged before anyone said anything.

“Non…”

“No, luv.”

“Regretfully, I have the same news.”

“Yeah,” Marie swallowed hard, her eyes drifting back down to her bowl of cereal, “Me neither.”

“I’m sure she’s fine.” Beth tried to sound positive.

“Ah’m worried ‘bout ‘er, ‘Lisabeth.” Marie bit her lip to hold back a tear, thinking about what her older sister was going thru’.

Remy reached over quietly, taking Marie’s hand. “All o’ us are, cher.” He kept their gazes steady, letting her know he wasn’t afraid to let her in his head, to see exactly what he was feeling.

A little startled, Marie blinked several times, then lowered her eyes.

“I believe Erik tried her brownstone earlier this morning.” Henry offered, adjusting his glasses carefully. “There was no answer.”

“Same as a few days back,” Marie complained, concern etched over her features, “Dad tried her there after Ah saw her room’d been cleaned out upstairs.”

“Why Charles not simply look f’her…up here?” Remy pointed to his own forehead.

Beth’s gaze stayed rooted to her plate as she pushed food around on it, he appetite never really there in the first place. “Considering everything’s that’s happened, Rem, I doubt our father feels that’s a good idea. I tend te agree with him.”

Her siblings and friend quietly acknowledged the reference to Charles’ role in this whole mess by simply nodding or murmuring. After several quiet moments, Hank looked at each one of them, his eternal optimism struggling to show through.

“Have a little faith, everyone. I’m positive once Ororo has had a little time to digest everything, we will hear from her.”


---


Upstairs in the closed-off master bedroom…
Erik stood at the window adjacent to the French patio doors, his back hunched over, head down and fingers gripping the windowsill tightly. With a heavy sigh he turned his head just a little to his left; not even enough to fully look Charles in the eye.

“Trust me Charles, I understand how you feel”“

“I highly doubt that.” The other man interrupted.

“”but the fact remains, this trip to Genosha cannot wait. You’ll have to make a decision here.”

Charles’ weary eyes turned to his friend, but Erik had already gone back to looking out of the window and missed the look of pain and regret there…as if he had to see it to know it was there, anyway…

“You’re telling me I have to choose between my daughter and this peace summit?”

“I’m not telling you anything Charles.” Erik stated quietly.

Silence reigned between them for several tense moments, as Erik allowed his close friend the time he obviously needed to come to grips with a decision that had already been made. It was ironic, in a way; Charles had always prided himself on putting Ororo first, but it seemed when she really needed him most, he would have to sacrifice her for a ‘greater good’. With a sigh of resignation, he turned his head toward Erik, blue eyes dulled just a little more at the thought. He only hoped she could find it in her heart to forgive him.

*When do we leave?*


---


August 9th, 2004
Undisclosed Military Location…
9:37 A.M.


Dr. Gonzalez carefully looked down at her wrist watch again, noted the time and kept going over the thick file folder of notes before her.

Her large office was illuminated primarily from the natural light outside; one of the few spaces there at the base that was exposed to daylight. She remembered fighting pretty hard to get that, too. Sipping roasted hazelnut coffee, she looked over at her watch again, and sighed.

Just then, the door to her office swung open with a forceful gust of wind, and closed just as quickly. She looked up over the file folder & her small spectacles, her face as calm as though the man had never entered. “You are late, Colonel.”

“Whatever. I’m here, ain’t I?”

She looked up again from her reading, and sat up straighter as she evaluated the officer before her. His fatigues were clean and orderly as he stood erect before her, hands tightly clasped behind his back, legs braced apart. If it weren’t for the look behind his eyes, she may have believed this picture of ‘perfect’ health. But Maria knew Logan better than that.

“Only 90 minutes late. Have a seat, Colonel Howlett.” She closed the file she’d been reading, standing up & gesturing to his choice among the two soft leather chairs or the reclining seat.

Unsurprisingly, he only briefly glanced at his choices before replying, “I’ll stand.”

“Logan. Sit.” Her tone wasn’t in anger, rather exasperated humor, and she cocked her head to one side, watching him. There was something different about him today; she hadn’t seen him in over a month, but the last time he’d ‘checked in’ with her, he seemed almost calm”a far cry from his disposition today.

Fists clutching over and again, Logan growled low in his throat before picking the nearest leather chair, although his shoulders never touched the back of it as he raised his sharp grey eyes to the Doctor.

“How have you been?” She stood before him, leaning against the wide oak wood desk casually.

That question seemed to annoy him, and he looked up at her with an icy stare. His eyes seemed to say something she couldn’t understand, and before his lips opened his mind censored it. “Just ready to get back t’work, Doc. We gonna make that happen?”

She wasn’t flustered at all by his cryptic tone, and immediately responded, “Well, that actually depends on you.”

“Oh?” his brow went up and was met by his sarcastic air. “And here, I thought you were doin’ all the work.”

The Dr. only smiled, allowing his acerbic wit to slide, as she leaned back, dragging the file she’d been reading closer toward them on the desk. “Only half. But speaking of which: you’ve got this one last session today, so we’d better get to it.”

Suddenly, his posture takes a cockier attitude, and he leans to the side of the chair, resting against the arm as he keeps his eye on her. “Yeah. I got training all afternoon, if ya don’t mind.”

“Oh, I understand…” her tone was almost jovial before she paused, then cut her eyes to him quickly before asking calmly, “…so”have you seen Amahra lately?”

Just as the Dr. expected, Logan’s expression faltered”if ever so briefly”and his fingers gripped the edge of the armrest in a vice grip before slowly letting go. “Why d’you ask?”

“Well,” Maria adjusted her specs before flipping the thick file of papers open and sifting thru’ them as she spoke, “the anniversary of her passing is this week. Four days away, if I’m not mistaken.”

“So?”

“How are you feeling about that?”

“Beggin’ yer pardon Doc, but how the hell would you feel?” Logan couldn’t help it, his darkened grey eyes fixed on her menacingly.

The good doctor was beginning to feel how close she was to getting hurt, but her quest to help this man (which had almost reached its own anniversary) pushed her forward. “Logan, I’m sorry we have to speak of this”“

“Yeah, I bet.”

She stopped then, peering at him. Even an idiot could tell he was sitting there behind several emotional ‘walls’. At least she had gotten him to the point where she could mention the girl’s name without him flying into a rage. And it had only taken 11 months. But the doctor was also getting some nagging feeling that there was something else eating at the Colonel right then. “Logan?”

He only looked up at her, brow up as if waiting for her next words.

“Is there something else bothering you? Do you want to discuss it?”

His short, quiet scoff told her that no amount of talk was going to solve that particular issue, and if he was honest with himself”let alone the doctor”Logan would have admitted that he preferred it that way. They both knew he was only there because of the strict conditions set by Gen. Ackens and the Dept. For almost a year they’d done this same dance of Maria asking questions she knew she couldn’t get answers to, while Logan provided answers to questions she’d never know to ask.

This was no different.

“Got a lot on my plate, Doc; you know that.”

She nodded, but sensed”unlike with other patients”Logan did not want her to dig any deeper. “Well, I cannot stress enough, that if you have been to see your daughter’s grave, that is completely normal. Healthy, even, in the grieving process.”

‘”Process”’ he scoffed inwardly, remaining silent, ‘As if there’s ever gonna be an End to this.’ “Yeah.”

“Good. I’m glad you agree. Now, as for my question earlier”“

Knock-knock! “Excuse me?”

The two looked up as General Jason Ackens poked his head inside the door, glancing at Logan before fixing the Doctor with a look.

Gonzalez’s surprise was evident, and she stood behind the desk, adjusting her specs as though she weren’t sure she was seeing correctly. “General..! I’m surprised to see you.”

“Yeah, sorry f’bustin’ in like this, Doctor, but I thought you’d be done with ‘im by now.” Ackens came in, closing the door and standing almost against it. “Is there a problem?”

Logan looked at the doctor quickly, as if he were waiting for the same answer. Maria exchanged looks between the two men before fixing Ackens with a stern stare. She had a feeling his visit wasn’t as ‘accidental’ as he’d like her to believe. “General, this is highly irregular. I would appreciate it if you could leave Colonel Howlett and me alone for the duration of our session, and wait for my full report”as regulations stipulate.”

Ackens would later pat himself on the back for not biting the bitch’s head off at her tone with him; he could tell she wasn’t buying his ‘accidental’ intrusion, but he couldn’t help the subterfuge. He just needed her to sign off on Logan’s therapy so he could get the man back on the training field. They needed him more now than ever…

“I know about regulations, sweetheart”are ya trying to imply somethin’?” Jase asked quietly, inwardly smiling when she recoiled at the familiar way he’d addressed her.

Logan’s eyes went back and forth between these two as they ‘politely’ sparred; he could tell there was no love lost here, and wondered briefly why Ackens had chosen her as his doctor if he didn’t think she could be ‘counted on’ to grease some wheels in his speedy recovery.

“Of course not, General.” Maria bit back her tongue, speaking through clenched teeth. “I am merely reminding you”“

“Hold on.” He held up his hand and then turned to Howlett. “Logan, ya wanna take a break fer a minute?”

He needn’t ask twice, and the Colonel was out the door, nodding curtly to them both; he made a point to remind himself to thank the General later; his timing had been impeccable.

As Ackens closed the door behind Logan’s retreating body, he turned back to Maria, an almost playful twinkle in his eyes. “We’ve gotta talk.”


---


Cairo Int’l Airport
A Little Later that afternoon…


To say that the airport was ‘busy’ would have been a very gross understatement.

“Excuse me.” She nodded to the man as he hurriedly broke through the line of people waiting at the curb where cars & taxis streamed in to pick up departed passengers, arguing with someone on his cell. She couldn’t imagine where he was going in such a rush, but didn’t have the energy to get in a tizzy about it.

Absently, her fingers clutched at the nylon strap of her carry-on bag, picking at an errant piece of material; anything to get her mind off of what she was doing. One would think that the noise of the crowded airport would have been able to drown out her mind’s worried chatter, but to no avail. She realized the nervousness she was feeling wasn’t going away, and so she wouldn’t fight it. Instead, she thought back to the endless line at check-in, as the airport employee went through the seemingly monotonous job of checking passports. The short conversation was still playing in Ororo’s mind:


[Next in line?]*

[Good afternoon.]

[Passport? Thank you.]

“…”

[American?...]

“Yes ma’am.”

“How long do you stay?”

“Just a couple days.”

“Yes, okay. And, for business or for pleasure?”

“….” ‘How do I answer that??’ “Er, business.” ‘Well, it certainly isn’t pleasure.’

“Good then. (stamp) Enjoy your visit.”

“Thank you.”


Business or Pleasure. With a sad grin, she realized that question held so much weight to it, the casual way in which it was asked had almost been funny. Almost.

Sighing heavily, she looked up, squinting in the bright sunlight despite the dark sunglasses she wore now, and adjusted the wide-brimmed hat that covered her bun-wrapped hair. Just as she did so, a very large, jet-black limousine pulled up to the curb, stopping just past her. She hadn’t paid it any mind, waiting for an available taxi and hoping the driver knew as much English at least as the airport employees had. Her Arabic was rusty, as she wasn’t too comfortable with the language anyway.

Just as she ‘d thought the next cab pulling up may be hers, one of the doors on the nearby limo opened suddenly, and two women in suits got out, their eyes covered by black glasses, feet booted, and neither wearing smiles.

“Ms. Xavier?”

She looked up in surprise at the name, but quickly responded, “I’m sorry, I think you have the wrong person. My name i”“

Munroe.”

Ororo looked past them to see a tall man around her age, maybe a couple years younger, standing at the limo, leaning against the open door, one foot still inside the cab of the expensive auto. He was dressed properly in a dark blue suit, matching kofia and a silk sash crossing his wide chest. “Excuse me…do I know you?”

Before he could answer, one of the women turned back to him, whispering something stern in Swahili that was too low for Ororo to hear over the noise outside. The other female kept an eye on her, but gestured toward the car. “Please, come with us…your majesty.”

Her blue eyes couldn’t have gotten wider behind those shades, and Ororo’s mouth opened without any sound as she looked from the woman to the strikingly handsome man who grinned at her before extending his black-gloved hand. By merest chance, her gaze caught the back of the limo where two small flags waved in the dry, warm wind. They were striped blue and gold just like the man’s sash.

The colors of the Wakandan Royal House.

It seems her ‘ride’ had arrived.

Nodding silently, Ororo stepped past the woman, who did a quick glance around before picking up Ororo’s other case & taking up her flank, and came up to the man. She didn’t take his hand, but looked up into his amber eyes squarely. There was something familiar about him, but also discomforting. He watched her closely, the sides of his lips quirking as though he were about to smile, but just not quite there yet.

After a moment more, Ororo ducked her head, and slid into the spacious limo’s cab. The man followed, and his personal guard secured the suitcase in the trunk before joining them and soundly closing the door, the limo pulling away from the curb quickly in a rise of dust.





TBC…

*[ ] (Translated from Arabic)
Logan's Run, pt. 3 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #22 “Logan’s Run, pt. 3


Tuesday, August 10th, 2004
Hammer Bay Internat’l Airport, Genosha
3:26pm Genosha Standard Time


The beautiful private jet slowed to a stop at the end of the runway, its engines powering down. A landing crew was standing nearby, waiting to assist the departing passengers. The rest of the airport was eerily quiet, considering that not even but a short time ago it was one of the busiest in the world.

Too bad a little thing like a disease epidemic had to change all that.

Inside the passenger cabin, Charles Xavier looked out of the window, his brow furrowed in concentration. Behind him, Erik was gathering up their carry-on bags while the small entourage assigned to them by the U.N. council took care of the larger items. Glancing down at his friend, Erik stopped for a moment, a look of worried ire on his face. “Charles?”

Xavier didn’t answer immediately, massaging his forehead as the lines on his face momentarily deepened. Just when it seemed like perhaps he hadn’t heard his name called, a tired but determined voice reached out from Charles’ mind to his friend’s.

*Yes, Erik?*

*Is that really necessary? The United Nations Peacekeepers have the airport and a surrounding ten-mile radius pretty well secured.*


Finally opening his tired blue eyes, Charles wavered in his chair a few seconds, catching his bearings before looking up at Erik briefly. *No offense to our hosts, but I’d feel much better about arriving here so ‘out in the open’ if I could be sure no unpleasantness awaits the moment we step off the plane. Besides, a brief ‘head-scan’ never hurt anyone; at least, not if I’m careful.*

Sighing as he kept his further remarks to himself behind a psi-shield (which only made Charles chuckle more), Erik came up behind the wheelchair, ready to head toward the departure door. While he was glad Charles was in a good enough mood to joke, Magnus couldn’t help but be concerned about the amount of stress it seemed to evoke just for the telepath to use his powers these days; just one more tell-tale sign of how weakened Charles’ body had become in recent weeks.

Pressing such thoughts far into the back of his mind, Erik paused as they entered the empty and presumed secured airport terminal. As he caught sight of the Genoshan officials waiting for them, a sudden sense of worry and maybe a little guilt washed over him as he thought about just how much Charles was potentially sacrificing by coming here, now of all times. With everything going so terribly wrong for the man health-wise, not to mention the ‘home issues’ that recently raised their ugly heads, no one could blame Charles for being distracted, at least.

Glancing down at him, Erik noticed Xavier’s head turned toward the West”Northwest, to be exact”and his eyes glazed over a little as he seemed lost in a thought. He didn’t have to ask what”or more accurately who”it was that had him preoccupied. She hadn’t returned any of their phone calls or emails since disappearing that night a couple weeks ago, and he knew it weighed heavily on Charles’ heart not to have cleared things up before leaving.

“Dr. Xavier, Mr. Lehnsherr, welcome.”

They stopped just short of a mid-30s-something woman impeccably dressed in a dark pants suit. Her glasses reflected the bright mid-afternoon light that shown through the high windows of the airport, as did her hair”a jet black for the most part but with telling signs of grey at the temples. Flanking her were two absurdly large gentlemen dressed similar to each other in dark fatigues and unashamed in their brandishing of rifles.

Never showing any mind, Charles looked up at the woman coolly, choosing his words carefully. “Madame Prime Minister DeMarc. I must say I’m quite surprised to see you here.”

She took Charles’ hand in greeting very briefly, a false smile plastered on her face purely for the benefit of the others; she wasn’t daft enough to think her show was going to get past him, of all people. Still, she lied, “I had to see to it myself for your safe arrival. GIA is thought to have been a recent target of rebel activity; it would do our cause no good to have the esteemed Ambassador meet an untimely end before Talks could commence, would it?”

Eyeing her ‘guards’ each in turn, Charles immediately responded, “I assure you the U.N. Peacekeepers are more than capable of keeping us safe. Considering how your predecessor met her demise, if I were you I would be more concerned for myself, Madame Prime Minister.”

A strained smile stretched over the woman’s face, her lips a tight line so she wouldn’t say something they’d both regret. As if words needed to hit the air for Charles Xavier to know exactly what was on her mind.

Turning on her heel, the interim Prime Minister of Genosha waved nonchalantly to them behind her. “Your concern is greatly appreciated, Ambassador; however I don’t have any plans on making my predecessor’s mistakes. This way, gentlemen.”

Erik & Charles exchanged looks as a small group of armored Peacekeepers flanked them, waiting for their orders. Charles nodded to the group’s captain, indicating that they’d follow the Prime Minister & her men. To Erik he thought, *Still think I was over-reacting?*



---



At that same moment, hundreds of miles away on Africa’s eastern coast in the prospering country of Kenya, Ororo stood on the balcony overlooking the Nairobi River (frmly. the Athi River). Her eyes were closed, chin tilted up toward the bright sun. She’d been standing there outside her guest-quarters bedroom for sometime, skipping breakfast even, to maintain the quiet solitude. She was glad that her ‘hosts’ had let her sleep in pretty late, as the time zone change was difficult on her, having traveled from New York to Cairo and now to Kenya in the space of 24hrs. Her jet lag had been pretty severe, but now she felt a little more refreshed, if not apprehensive for the day’s events.

The day before, the young man that had met her at Cairo Internat’l Airport had shocked her into speechlessness by introducing himself as her younger half brother, T’Challa. They didn’t favor each other at all, and when she’d made a similar remark, his eyes had shifted from her momentarily, before amending that, for official purposes, it was how they were to address each other. When she’d pressed him for details, one of his female guards shifted in her seat, a not-so-subtle message to him, which the Prince promptly ignored.

“No matter your paternal lineage, Ororo, you are still family,” he’d admitted in slightly-accented English. “The daughter of N’Dare is the heir to the Ivory Priestess legacy.”

Not really understanding what any of that meant, she cocked a brow at him, asking, “And where does that leave you, T’Challa?”

Smiling, he nodded at her perceptiveness, raising his hand to show the large ring on his finger. It was a fat gold band with sapphires, rubies and diamonds shamelessly decorating it. In the middle of them was a design Ororo recognized…

“I am the first born son of T’Chaka and N’Dare.” His words drifted off when she looked down to her arm, lifted the sleeve and leaned forward, showing him the tattoo of the symbol that matched that etched into his ring.

“I got it when I was barely out of high school. I never understood why I chose this design…”


---


“Your Highness?”

Coming out of the memory, Ororo turned to see one of the palace attendants standing in the terrace archway behind her, waiting. She didn’t know how long the woman had been standing there calling her name. “I’m sorry, yes?”

“Prince T’Challa awaits you in the courtyard. This way?”

Ororo was quiet as they made their way through the open spaces of the palace; she only caught glimpses of other people, and found it odd that the grand place seemed so empty. She wasn’t sure what she expected, but an empty royal palace wasn’t it.

Several minutes later, she saw the young T’Challa outside, standing near a girl that had to be in her late teens, at best, who sat on a stone bench beside him. She looked up at him with an adoration that tugged at Ororo’s heart as it reminded her of love lost…

“Ah, Ororo!” {Welcome, Sister.}* He bowed respectfully, then offered her a seat on the bench across from them. Once she’d sat down, he looked to the pretty girl, reaching for her hand.

“I’m sorry I slept so long, your Highness. Jet lag, you know.” Ororo sat straight on the bench despite the fact it had a curvy back support.

T’Challa waved that away, smiling at her. “Nonsense. I can imagine how tiring your trip has been. Did you sleep well?”

She nodded, a little unnerved by his hospitality; Ororo wasn’t sure what to expect of her ‘family’ either, but this congenial, curious young prince wasn’t exactly it.

“I’m sorry, forgive my manners,” he said after a brief pause, gesturing to the girl beside him, “Ororo I’d like to introduce you to Halima, my 1st wife. Halima, this is Ororo; she was born just 3 yrs before I was to N’Dare.”

The deliberate absence of a paternal designation wasn’t missed by Ororo, but she smiled anyway, dipping her head to the sari-clad maiden. Her bright brown eyes seemed fixated on Ororo, and she promptly knelt in the grass before her, taking Ororo’s hands and kissing them before raising her eyes in wonder and obvious admiration.

{Ivory Sister; your return honors us.}

Blinking several times, Ororo faltered before answering, “Uhm…t-thank you.”

When Halima got back to her feet, T’Challa smiled, nodding to her, and the young woman bowed to them both respectfully before leaving. As Halima retreated, he turned back to Ororo, explaining, “I thought it would be best if we spoke in private, before the Grand Hall meeting.”

“Oh? About?” She asked cautiously.

“What exactly you plan on asking my father.” T’Challa’s lips still held a smile but it didn’t quite reach his eyes.

Nodding knowingly, Ororo finally leaned back against the bench, her eyes cutting through him. “Ah, now I see. The pickup at the airport, allowing me to stay in the palace, all the polite but mute staff, and now you, T’Challa; I wondered at my hospitable reception.”

“I don’t know what you mean.” He dragged out the game innocently.

“Of course you do,” Ororo laughed, as images of her mother’s frightened and tired face flooded back in crisp realism. “After 25 yrs of ‘pretending’ I had died in that explosion along with David & N’Dare’s other secrets, I can’t imagine that T’Chaka would so readily welcome me back into the fold. Especially since he still has no idea to this day whether I truly am his daughter or not. Is that why I was allowed to come here? To determine once & for all if I am the First Born, or just the bastard threat?”

The prince kept eye contact throughout her forward accusation, but he didn’t let his ire show through. “My father has never raised a hand against you, Ororo. If T’Chaka wanted you dead, dear sister, he would not have allowed the American to take you.”

“That’s not what I asked.” Her eyes flashed at the mention of Charles as much as at the insinuation. “Before I go walking into the lion’s den, I’d like to know exactly what’s in store for me. All I came here for was a simple answer to a 25yr old question: What happened to my mother in these halls that would make her want to die in the arms of a mad-man rather than spend one more day as T’Chaka’s wife?”


{Only N’Dare would know the answer to that, young one.} Came from behind them in a stern voice.

Ororo and T’Challa turned to see the King standing not far away, his hard dark gaze fixed on her. His right hand squeezed the top of his decorated, carved ivory walking cane, which matched the cream colored Egyptian cotton leisure outfit that loosely waved in the breeze. His sandaled feet stopped at the marble stones before the grass of the gardens as he watched them.

Standing, Ororo met his gaze, and immediately felt the coldness projected toward her. Between them, T’Challa looked from his father to his sister, unsure how to respond. “Father, This is”“

{Don’t be daft Son, I know exactly who she is,} T’Chaka interrupted, {What I want to know is what you hope to accomplish by coming here, stirring up ghosts.}

{Is that all N’Dare is to you now?} Ororo shot back in perfect Swahili, surprising T’Challa, while T’Chaka only lifted one thin eyebrow.

{You don’t know the first thing about what She meant to me, little girl.}The King said between clenched teeth, staring hard at her.

{Ororo…} T’challa reached out a hand to her, partially in warning as he saw the look in his father’s eyes.

Her gaze shifted between them before she answered, and as she fixed the older man with an angry stare, responded, {Look, I didn’t come all the way here just to make life hard for you, King T’Chaka. When I contacted your press office, they assured me I could come and have some questions answered. Now, before we waste anymore time trading smart remarks, is that going to happen?}

‘Just as arrogant and stubborn as her mother.’ T’Chaka watched Ororo for a few seconds, seeing his dead wife in her from head to toe even though N’Dare’s physical features”as beautiful as they had been”didn’t match those of the young mutant before him now.

Finally, he lifted his cane, waving it back toward the archway to the Hall. {When you’re ready, then.}

She walked up to him, keeping eye contact until they’d passed each other, muttering, {I’ve been ready 25yrs.}



---



Half a World Away, at an Undisclosed Military Location
A little after 5 a.m. EST


In the holographic training maze several floors below the secret base, two teams of Special Ops agents were gearing up to begin their 2nd day of hard physical training. The first team, headed by Logan, was comprised of his hand-picked rogue’s gallery: Ben Campbell (codename: Deuce), Silver Fox, Deadpool, Cortez, and the newest recruit Neena Thurman (Domino); the 2nd team was headed by Capt. Christopher Nord, a.k.a. Maverick (one of Logan’s former Lts.) and consisted of agents Madrox, Shatterstar, Mystique, Spiral, & WarHawk.

These core teams were often times given back up in the form of up-and-coming mutant agents newly recruited to Section X wishing to prove their mettle and become eligible for the next slot to open up on one of the field teams (much like Domino had just done). As the core teams headed down to the entrance to the Danger Room for their session, they kept to themselves, not mingling with the other team, keeping a respectable distance. It wasn’t just their leaders that held a distaste for each other, after all.

Tugging on his leather gloves, Ben walked beside Domino, who didn’t seem nervous at all of her first field mission with the notorious group Logan headed, nicknamed The Wild Bunch. Her eyes strayed to Maverick’s team, The X-Men. “A bit cocky, aren’t they?”

Ben didn’t even spare the other team a glance as they swaggered ahead of the Wild team, too loud and boisterous in their conversations. “Yeah, don’t believe the hype, Dom. When the Colonel comes, we’ll see what’s up.”

The teams entered the waiting area of the Danger Room’s maze, standing on either side of the hall, staring each other down. WarHawk smirked at Domino, making kissing noises at her and ruder gestures with his mouth. When her hand clenched at her side, Silver Fox glanced down the row at her new female teammate.

“Don’t pay him any mind, Domino. I guess it’s been a while since he’s seen a real woman.”

Mystique & Spiral glared at her from across the room; three of Rita’s six hands came up and gave Fox the Bird, while Mystique morphed her head into a perfect replica of Wolverine, stubble and all, retorting, “Oh, like this?

“Fuck you, Mystique.” Silver Fox sneered.

“Sorry, you’re not my type, Fox.” Bright yellow eyes teased.

“No? What about me, Sweets??” Deadpool lifted his mask, immediately turning the stomachs of the other team as they got a look at his face.

“Jesus, kid! Keep that shit t’yourself.” Madrox laughed, standing beside a carbon ‘copy’ of himself that covered his eyes against Deadpool’s display. “Planning on scarin’ the enemy to death with that mug?”

“Don’t even start, ‘Multiple Man’ (snicker).” Cortez used air-quotes, elbowing Deadpool as they cracked up.

“I told you assholes that ain’t my name; it’s just Madrox, you friggin’ retards!”

“You’ll have to forgive Maverick’s team, Domino; they’re just still a little pissed at being the second fiddle to The Colonel’s crew again.” Ben nodded at them with a twinkle in his eyes. “Although, you’d think by now they’d be used to playing back-up, working with ‘The Poor Man’s Wolverine’.”

“Step a little closer with that, wise-ass.” WarHawk brought a menacing fist up.


“Can the chatter, you roughnecks.”

The two teams straightened up immediately at the sound of their commanding officer. Maverick and Wolverine came through the doors, each dressed and prepared for live-action training in the Danger Room. It was as close to the real thing they’d see out on the field as possible, and because there had actually been a couple fatalities over the years in training scenarios, the nickname for the special ops training facility had stuck.

Ignoring Maverick, Logan stepped in front of his team, meeting each of them in the eye, silently giving his approval of their physical readiness. It had been quite some time since he’d seen most of them except for Ben; he was just glad he’d been allowed to snatch them back up from their other assignments once he’d been put back on active duty. There had only been one original Wild Bunch team member that he couldn’t get back; hence Domino’s insertion.

“Welcome aboard, Marine.” He nodded at her stiffly and the young woman’s back went a little straighter beneath his scrutiny. “Trust me, this ain’t gonna be anything like what they taught ya in that outfit. Section X is a little bit…different.”

“Understood, Sir!” She kept her eyes forward.

Behind him, Maverick turned to glance at the new recruit, then to Logan with a sneering grin on his face. “Aw Hell, this isn’t fair; you’ve got a grunt on the team?”

Without turning to look at his adversary, Logan flexed his gloved fingers and rubbed the backs of his hands where the leather was pre-cut to allow his claws out. “Graduated top of ‘er class U.S. Marine Corps, quickest recruit to pass the Section entrance exams, and ah believe she broke some of your individual DR exercise records, Chris”“

Maverick clapped sarcastically. “Whoop-dee-doo. Another overachiever. On paper I’m sure that looks really nice. Let’s just see how she handles a real-world course. I don’t want you using it as an excuse if she screws up.”

“Fine by me.” Logan headed to the observation station where the DR control center was; he didn’t bother telling his team what to do, knowing Ben would fill in Domino & that the rest of the team was painfully aware of the routine. “Just don’t wanna hear any bitchin’ when the youngins kick yer ass.”

“Dream on old man.” Maverick followed him to the ops center as the two teams headed away from them toward the DR chamber. His piercing eyes watched Logan’s movements carefully as the more experienced man brought the DR’s A.I. to life with his private code and optical scan.

After several seconds where the powerful mechanics behind the training course shifted to life, Maverick caught himself eyeing Logan again, and couldn’t help another pot shot. “Ya know, I heard something funny.”

“An’ I’m sure yer just dyin’ to tell.” Logan’s fingers moved quickly over the manual controls as he chose the parameters of their first test mission from the computer bank of scenarios.

Ignoring his sarcastic air, Maverick leaned against the control panel, watching Logan carefully. “A little birdie in the medical dept. was just telling me the other day about some screws that were put to her boss; something about a soldier getting clearance from the MEB** before he was ready.”

For several seconds Logan didn’t respond, leaning over the control station to watch his team with red-rimmed eyes as they went through calisthenics prep. He hadn’t slept very well the night before, his dreams filled with disturbing images of his dying daughter, the catastrophe that was his last mission before taking a leave of absence…and then there was the dream he’d had about Ororo…

“You wouldn’t know nothin’ about that, would you?” Maverick teased with just enough contempt Logan really had to hold back a claw from puncturing something vital on him.

“’Shouldn’t trust every loose legged”uh lipped”intern ya screw, Chris,” Logan finally retorted.

His cool demeanor only goaded Maverick to try harder to rattle him, as the younger man verbally poked at Logan like a caged wild animal. “Oh can it, Wolverine. Why not just admit that you’re not prepared for this mission? Sabretooth is too important an objective to risk on a loose-ass canon like you. We both know if it weren’t for Gen. Ackens pulling strings””

Agile fingers stopped their tuning of the controls and flint-chip-colored eyes bore into the other man. “Who the FUCK d’you think yer talkin’ to, boy?”

The acid tone made Maverick pause, but just for a moment. “Tell me I’m lying then. Tell me”Aaacghh!

Logan rushed him and had his subordinate pinned up against the wall near the door before Chris could think to do anything else but yell out at the pain when his neck was thrust back against the wall by the adamantium-laced, muscular arm cutting off his wind. Even though Maverick stood a few inches taller than Logan that small fact held zero meaning as the more experienced soldier kept him in the uncomfortable position, his canines bared and eyes narrowed to glowing silver slits. “You wanna play with fire, Chris? Hm?? I guess the scars I laid inta’ yer ass before didn’t hurt enough.

SNIKT!

The sound did something to Maverick’s bowels, as his mind went back years ago to a close encounter between the two men when Logan was still his direct superior on The Wild Bunch crew. As sharp metal claws struck the concrete wall beside his head, Chris struggled to release himself from Logan’s grasp but it was no use, as the full weight of Wolverine’s body crushed him against the wall, pinning his arms and legs.

Exasperated and just a little frightened, he jerked against Logan, spitting, “Yer a friggin’ maniac! What the hell’s the matter with you?!”

A growl was bubbling up from Logan’s throat and melted into the words as they came out, becoming indiscernible. Behind them the panel flashed a few times, and then the comm. system crackled before Ben’s voice could be heard over the line.

“Sir? Everything alright? We’re ready down here when you are. Over.”

Silence answered Deuce down below, and he tapped his wrist comm. link, then tried again. “Wild Leader, do you copy? Sir?”

Above the two groups, a solid thud was kept inside the sound-proof ops deck as Maverick’s body hit the floor. Logan sheathed his claws, rotating his wrists as he breathed deeply, turning back to the control panel. His heart rate was accelerated more than it should’ve been, and he felt a little queasy from the adrenaline rush as he tried to calm himself. It had never taken so little to get him so close to a berserker rage; if he hadn’t been distracted by Ben’s voice and reigned that shit in, he didn’t know how much of his former 2nd in command would still be left intact…

Swallowing hard, Logan punched his finger against the response, his voice hoarse as he replied, “Roger that, Wild-One. Get yer team into position. I’ll be right down.”

Without looking at Maverick, Logan headed toward the door, but his deep menacing voice carried over his shoulder as he departed. “While ya pull yerself together, I’ll be downstairs. My team’s up first.”

Just as he was about to leave, Logan nearly ran into Gen. Ackens, who was dressed down in fatigues and his metals. His expression changed dramatically when he spotted Maverick sputtering behind Logan inside the room on the floor.

As Logan kept walking as if he hadn’t seen his superior, Ackens stopped dead in his tracks, looking from one man to the other. “What the hell’s goin’ on here?! Maverick? Logan?!”

Downstairs, the two teams waited in their groups, wondering what was taking so long, when Logan suddenly showed up, cracking his knuckles and neck in a way that sent an uneasy feeling down several spines. With a slightly predatory gaze he sized up members of both teams as he stood before them. “Alright I’m gonna make this quick: You all know what our mission objective is, so I shouldn’t have to explain how important it is to get this done right the first time. This simulation is the best we’ve got to let ya know what it’ll be like goin’ up against Sabretooth.”

He paused then, mainly for emphasis, as he caught each of their eyes before continuing, “Only problem is, Victor Creed ain’t gonna let ya hit the ‘reset’ button if ya fuck up. There aren’t any ‘do overs’ in this exercise, either. We’ll be using live rounds on targets that really can gut ya two different ways from Sunday if you let’em get too close, so watch yer backs.”

Above them in the control room Maverick & Gen. Ackens stood close, listening to Logan’s speech. At least, the General was listening…Maverick’s fingers flew over the control panel quickly, his dark blue gaze shifting every once in a while to the group below in the DR field.

Ackens calmly reached into his pocket and drew out a fresh cigar, searching his shirt for his lighter. As he brought the tobacco stick up to his lips to light he murmured, “This should be interesting.”

Beside him Maverick didn’t look up, deftly inserting his code into the system. “Yeah.”


Below, Logan was finishing his short ‘pep’ talk while adjusting the life-signs monitor on his outfit. Taking a cue from him the two teams began checking their gear as well, while still keeping an ear open to his rough voice. “Now then, since you don’t have the real Vic Creed to ‘practice’ on, we’ll just have to do ya one better…”

Looking up toward the ops. center, he gave the darkened glass where Ackens & Maverick were a quick glance before calling out, “Ya wanna get this shit up & runnin’ Chris, or do I have to come back upstairs & do it for ya?”

Beside him, Ackens turned worried eyes to Maverick, but he kept a somber line to his mouth as he chewed the cigar. “You sure about this?”

“Wouldn’t you want to be?” Was Maverick’s cryptic answer before leaning into the mic and replying to Logan, “Commencing training exercise JH-W01, on this mark…”


The wide-open space of the DR’s field began to morph quickly into a dense jungle environment as the A.I. pulled details from its memory banks to fill in the scenario. Before their eyes the previously empty room changed appearance & ‘depth’ to mirror that of Victor Creed’s alleged hideout”a secluded spot located in the so-called Savage Land of Antarctica. For just a few seconds the 2 teams’ members were absorbed into the creation of this frighteningly real”but nonetheless totally artificial”world, watching as a life-sized Brontosaurus and it’s baby began moving past them toward the open clearing only about 45 yards away.

“Son of a gun…” Domino’s eyes widened as she openly stared.

“Pretty neat program, boss…” Ben smirked, turning to Logan”only to be met with an empty space. “Boss?”

The groups turned to look around themselves, realizing the Wild Bunch leader had stealthily disappeared. No sooner had they realized this than the linked communication devices between them crackled a little over the wireless connection.

“Like I said, we’re gonna do ya one better. If you can find Me, then you can find Victor Creed.” His voice held no tease; on the contrary, there was something very serious and almost frightening in his tone as it spoke to them quietly through the link.

“What??” Spiral and WarHawk echoed each other, turning around themselves to make sure they weren’t being snuck up on.

“Boss, what’s goin’ on?” Ben kept his cool outwardly, but he still questioned, “This isn’t the right training exercise.”

“Yeah it is,” Logan’s voice answered, “And I suggest you all find a way to work together or it’s gonna be a long-ass day…”

The link suddenly went quiet and it was apparent that that was the only ‘tip’ they were going to get. Instinctively the nine remaining agents ‘circled the wagons’, forming a ring where they could watch their collective backs at once. In the middle of the jungle, they would have to distinguish between the ‘natural’ sounds and those made by the various targets they were after”now including Wolverine.

“This is bullshit!” Mystique spat, her bright amber eyes searching the semi darkness.

“Yeah,” Spiral agreed, each of her ½ dozen limbs brandishing weapons, as she turned to glance at Ben, “What’s up with your boss? This wasn’t the plan I was told about.”

“No shit, Sherlock.” Silver Fox reached up to pull down her night-vision goggles. “This is news to all of us. But you’re just gonna have to get over it sweetheart, and get this done. Deuce?”

“Yeah.” Ben’s goggles had come down too.

“You’re on Point, right?”

“Roger th”“

“Hey!” Shatterstar interrupted, pulling out his sword, “Who put you in charge??”

“Get a clue, asshole,” Cortez kept watching the bushes to his right, “Who else knows The Colonel as well as Deuce?”

There was a pause as Maverick’s team pondered this, but Ben wasn’t in the mood to prove his worth. “You wanna strike out on your own, that’s fine. We’ll come back & collect what’s left of you when this is all over.”

“Muther fuck…” Spiral cursed lowly, as the X-Men team knew they had to defer to The Wild Bunch on this one. They’d all studied Wolverine as part of their basic training, but none of them had ever gone up against the man himself; not in the ‘real world’. The prospect of that now seemed more like everyone’s idea of their worst nightmare.


Above, Gen. Ackens took the cigar out of his mouth, leaning over to watch one of the views with Maverick. “What are they waiting for?”

Keeping his eyes on the heat signature of Wolverine as it crept closer back to the group, he grumbled, “I don’t know, but they’d better do something fast; he’s coming back for them.”




---



Meanwhile, in Kenya…

Ororo sat on the edge of the cushioned chair, her back stiff as she watched recorded footage from that fateful day 25 yrs ago. The clips had been edited together from several sources, none of which appeared very ‘official’. There was only a date & time stamp on some of the scenes, while others were undocumented and in terrible quality. Most of it was also the aftermath of the hotel bombing, like the royal funeral for her mother, some pieces of footage from just after the explosion from bystanders, and one public appearance by the King, confirming the deaths. In the funeral scene there’d been two caskets in the walking procession; one adult-sized, the other smaller…

{You knew I wasn’t dead,} she turned to glare at T’Chaka, who stood behind her at the private theatre’s entryway. {Why the casket?}

{It was decided that, for the sake of all involved, no one be led to believe that N’Dare’s child had survived.}

{Excuse me??} She balked, her eyes shifting from her brother to his father in obvious distaste. {What you mean is, you’d rather I had just ‘disappeared’ overseas, where you wouldn’t have to look at the constant reminder anymore. Isn’t that right?}

T’Chaka only glanced at her before looking back at the screen.

In his father’s absence of an explanation, T’Challa offered, {The Wakandan-Kenyan lineage could not be seen as weak, Ororo. The more distance put between David Munroe, N’Dare & you, the better.}

She shook her head. {”Weak”?? (scoff) That just doesn’t make sense. Besides, anyone who knew the truth could always try to track me down to New York. My fa”Charles didn’t exactly hide me as a child.}

{That is why any who were aware of the circumstances were…convinced otherwise.} T’Challa admitted, quickly glancing at his father as he said this. {Other than my Father & Me, you and the American Xavier, there are few others aware of your existence at this point. Certainly no one outside of the royal family that isn’t a sworn guardian of the House.}

Leaning over, she grasped her hands together tightly, staring hard at the floor. {So, basically you did your best to wipe me and my mother’s memory off the face of the Earth. And let me guess: what you couldn’t do on your own, you asked Charles Xavier to take care of?}

T’Chaka’s lip twitched, but he said nothing for a moment as he reached for the disc player to stop it. {I’ve given you more today than you ever deserved. N’Dare betrayed me with that lowly man, and for that you have had to pay the price, but I won’t be made out to be the villain. Your mother made her decision. So did I. Now, you have been indulged enough--}

“Indulged??!” She blurted out in English, standing quickly when T’Chaka turned to leave with the CD in hand.

{You helped him take away any memories I had of Her, you abandoned a first born child and covered up any evidence she ever existed, and when that child comes looking for her heritage, for her Family, you say she’s been “Indulged” enough?!}

At the heightened tone of her voice, two female guards stepped to the door, looking to the King. He waved them back, but they only went as far as the outside of the archway, eyeing Ororo with mistrust. Turning back to his guest, T’Chaka fixed Ororo with a very cold stare. {We do not know one another, young lady, and as such I’m sure it really isn’t me that you are angry with. What I would suggest is that you address that feeling with its true target; perhaps then you’ll get the answers you’re seeking.}

With nothing further, he turned away from her and left, leaving Ororo & T’Challa alone in the room. She shook her head, disbelief written clearly over her face. Her younger brother came up to her, holding her by the shoulders even though she tried to shrug him off.

“Ororo, please.” T’Challa waited until she raised her eyes to his; he genuinely regretted the hurt and fear he saw there, but knew there was little he could do to resolve it. “The King has spoken. Take what little comfort it is that you have your memories back and that you can remember our mother at all.”

She paused, searching his face to see some level of pain there as well, and her expression faltered for just a moment. Laying a hand on his she murmured, “You don’t remember her, do you?”

He shook his head slowly. “I was too young, and as the male heir she would not have had much time with me, regardless of how things turned out that day in Cairo.”

Sighing, Ororo tried to hold back the tears, smiling a weak smile to her brother before he brought her in for a close hug. She wiped at her aching eyes, leaning against his chest before whispering, “At least we’ve come to know each other, then.”

T’challa smiled as well, releasing her. He held her cheek, his eyes full of sympathy, and Ororo knew it was only their mother’s blood beating within their veins that separated this kinder man from his cold father. “My Sister. I know we have not impressed you as your family, and maybe we’re not exactly what you hoped to find”“

She scoffed a tight laugh at that.

“”But I want you to know Ororo, that you and I will always be family. You ever need anything from me, your brother will be there.”

They hugged once more, and Ororo knew that despite everything T’Chaka & Charles tried to keep from her, T’Challa’s words were exactly what she’d needed to hear.



---



45mins. Later, in the DR, the two groups working together hadn’t had much luck in trying to track Wolverine. They had, however, managed to lose two team members in the process.

Shatterstar and WarHawk had been taken out of commission, tagged with the power-dampening device that not only rendered the agents powerless but also paralyzed from the neck down. They could hear what was going on over their comm. links, but were helpless to lend the rest of the team any aid.

“Where’s Logan now?” Ackens questioned Maverick upstairs.

“Coming up on Spiral at 4:00.” The other man answered, inwardly angry that it looked as though three of his team were going down within less than an hour, while Logan’s own agents seemed to be able to side-step the traps he left in his wake…at least, for the moment.

Turning to the General, Maverick asked quietly, “I think we’ve let him get comfortable enough. You ready?”

The General only nodded once, replacing the cigar to take a long pull as Maverick’s fingers went to the board again.

“Computer, initiate sequence JH-W01A, on my mark…”

Downstairs, Deuce led the others through the woods, sweeping their heat-sensory eyewear left & right to try to keep tabs on the crafty Team Leader, who still managed to creep up on each of them.

“Keep your eyes open, dammit.” He cursed, angry that his boss had managed to get two of them on his watch.

“Yeah, for what?” Spiral shot back, keeping her arms moving as she brought up the rear in hopes that she wouldn’t be caught off guard, at least without being able to defend herself. “He’s picking us off one by one, and we can’t even get a bead on him with any of this high-priced shitty equipment.”

Ben held in a sigh, but didn’t turn away from his post as he whispered, “The equipment’s not the problem. We just can’t get too dependent on it. The GPS isn’t gonna help much, he’s too quick; but the heat goggles are still our best defense, as long as there’s no interference, copy? …Spiral?”

Silver Fox, on Deuce’s right flank, turned to look behind her and swore. “Dammit, he’s got another one. Deuce, we gotta change the game plan here, or we’re toast.”

Ben nodded, turning to signal to Mystique to take Spiral’s place at rear guard, and then to Fox he motioned a warning: watch for the treeline.

‘Think, Ben, Think, dammit. The Col. taught you better than this. Don’t let him down.’

While they tried to formulate a new strategy to flushing Wolverine out, the man himself was now up in the trees above them, tracking them from the air, having left Spiral below propped up against a large tree trunk, paralyzed and de-powered.

‘Come on, you guys are better than this.’ He thought, watching and shaking his head when he saw Cortez take his goggles up for a moment, pausing to make sure he hadn’t missed some clue and leaving the team’s left-center flank unprotected. It was the perfect spot for him to drop in and take out Mystique, who was now unprotected.

Quietly he dropped from the tree, stealthily hiding right near them behind the large trunk. Waiting for his moment, he let the front of the group pass by, waiting for the gap Cortez had left so he could swoop in and engage Mystique.

Only seconds away from being taken out of the ‘game’, the shape-changing mutant heard a different noise in her comm. link before her superior’s voice whispered in her ear. “Mystique, it’s time. He’s coming up on your six, where Cortez just left you exposed. Initiate alternate option A: NOW!”


Logan was crouched low, moving in on her when the environment around them changed suddenly, turning into the inside of a sterile hospital. The trees, grass, and wild life were replaced by off-white walls, linoleum and hospital workers. Stunned, Logan turned around, his extended claws slowly & silently retracting as his camouflaged face looked up and around himself.

“What the fuck--??”

“Logan?”

His blood went cold when he heard his name called in that familiar voice. His body whirled around to see his ex-wife standing in the doorway to one of the rooms: ICU-67. He remembered this room. He would never forget this room. ‘What the hell’s going on? This”this can’t be fuckin’ real’ “…Jean??”

She called him forward again, and he felt his feet propelling him toward her, until he was standing in the doorway, looking at the bed that was too large for the small body cradled within its sheets. Before he could turn away, escape the sense of déjà vu gripping his heart…

…a small red-curled head turned toward them, tired grey-blue eyes fixing Logan with their pain, stopping him in his tracks.

“Daddy..?”

Logan’s body wouldn’t move, couldn’t move, until he felt Jean’s reassuring hand on his arm, pressing him forward. “Go to her, Logan. She needs you.”

And just like that he found himself at the bedside, kneeling there in his black and grey special ops suit, his face still covered in camouflage. Shaking from head to toe, his wide eyes searched her face, anguished when he saw her body shaking with pain. Logan’s lips moved”he wanted so badly to make her hurt go away, to soothe her ill, but in his mind he knew it was no use.

“Daddy…am I gonna…die?” her precious, heart-shaped face turned toward him and one trembling hand reached out to touch his.

Logan felt his stomach weaken at her touch, as his mind tried to reconcile what his senses were trying to tell him. He couldn’t smell her or the metal of the instruments keeping her alive, but his eyes refused to be ignored; his sense of touch rejoiced & recoiled at her touch. He knew she couldn’t be, yet here she was…

…and it broke his heart all over again.

“The doctors say she won’t last the night.” ‘Jean’ whispered in his ear behind him, standing close.

Logan looked up at her, and she gestured behind them to the group of doctors standing on the far side of the room in a close conference, looking at them. His eyes clouded over, as Logan remembered what they’d told him about his daughter’s prognosis. He remembered the lack of any sympathy for the young girl, the prejudice he could smell like some thick stench rolling off of most of them as they looked over the chart of the two mutants’ sick young child.

“The doctors say they can’t stop the pain.” Jean’s voice whispered cruelly.

“No.”
Logan shook his head, looking at Amahra’s face as the life literally drained out of her. She just looked at him, her eyes blinking slowly, no longer quite aware of either of them.

“The doctors say…” Jean’s voice echoed in his head.

“NO.”

“…that it’s Your fault.

NO!!!”

His wild eyes were drawn back to the child, as the life support equipment registered a flat line, the piercing monotone wail of the machine stabbing him through the heart over and again.

It was then that something cracked inside of him, and as Logan’s head came up in a blood-curdling roar, the ‘doctors’ stopped talking, looking at him in fear. He could smell their fright from across the room, and as his red-rimmed eyes sought them out, he realized he liked the odor.

And he wanted more.

Breaking away from the bed, he headed toward the group at a dead sprint, eyes wild; initially they didn’t seem to understand his intent until it was too late and the air rang out the sound of rage and adamantium released.

One by one, Wolverine jumped from ‘doctor’ to doctor, his blood lust unsatisfied as he let his claws fly at any vulnerable piece of flesh in his reach. Bodies fell to his feet, most in pieces, as he tore his way through the group in little more than seconds.



Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark to see
I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door




When he was left facing but one of the people responsible for giving up on his little girl, for refusing to even give her a chance, his feral gaze tore through the man like the wild animal he was. In his berserker rage, Logan couldn’t understand the pleas, the man’s words as he stumbled to his knees, already cut deeply, and holding his hands before himself like the useless shield they were.

With a fierce yell that sounded more like pain that fury, Logan reared back with a quickness that belied the size of his thick muscles, and drove his 3-clawed fist deep into the man’s chest.

As his senses told him the bodies at his feet weren’t moving, the urge to kill began to release Wolverine from its hold, and he stumbled backwards, looking down at his body, seeing himself covered in blood.

It was not his own.

The room began to spin, and suddenly then morphed back to the neutral grey and black of the DR chamber. Disoriented, Logan didn’t immediately hear the yells and screams surrounding him until he looked down at his blood-stained hands and saw what was left of his team lying at his feet.



Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down
Feels like I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door…





TBC…
Logan's Run, pt. 4 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #23 “Logan’s Run, pt. 4


Wednesday, August 11th, 2004
Medical Ward, Undisclosed Military Facility


Saline dripped quietly over his head in the darkened private room. The machines monitoring his vitals were steady, a contradiction to the pathetic physical state he appeared to be in, wrapped in bandages heavily around his chest & waist.

The eerie silence should’ve allowed him to get much needed rest, but sleep was the last thing on his mind, as his bruised fingers still gripped a cell phone tightly against the sheets, concealing it quite well. He’d almost been caught making a phone call, but considering the circumstances, knew it was worth the risk.


---
*Several Hours Earlier*
“…yeah, I know; if He knew I was callin’ ya, I’m sure it’d make him pissed enough, maybe he’d try to finish the job.”

The voice on the other end of his cell phone hesitated at the sarcastic ‘half-joke’, before a feminine voice responded, “I’m sorry about what happened, and don’t take this the wrong way, but”“

“You’re wondering why I called you, of all people? Well, I kinda need a favor; it’s for Him, and honestly, I don’t know anyone else that could get this done for me. The assholes around here”pardon my language, ma’am”don’t seem overly concerned about Him anymore, after what happened yesterday.”

“Do you really blame them?”

“Hell, I blame a lot of people…but that’s semantics. Can you get here, today?”

“I’m not sure about this…”

“Please, ma’am? He really needs yer help. I’d try to do it myself, but they got me on a tight lockdown till the Review Board inquiry at the end of this week. I’m not sure he’s gonna last that long.”

“…what are you saying? Do you think he’d try to hurt himself?”

“If anyone would know how to, He would, wouldn’t he?”

Before she could answer, he heard a fist hit against the heavy door of his room, and the phone clamped shut, to be buried beneath the sheet. The door opened to the face of Chris Maverick, dressed in his officer’s uniform, hat tucked tightly beneath his right arm.

“Soldier.”

The man in the bed raised hooded, distrustful eyes to his superior, shifting in the bed, which turned into a painful decision. Grumbling, he answered, “Captain. Pardon me if I don’t salute, sir.”

Maverick didn’t like the tone in the younger man’s voice at all, but he decided to let it slide as he came up to the side of the bed. Looking down at the wounded Agent, he didn’t quite meet eye contact, his eyes roving along the injuries to the machines and then away, around the undecorated room. “Whatever. I didn’t come here to visit, Private.”

“Then what are you doing here?”

“Watch your tone, kid. I’m not the one that put you here.”

“Aren’t you? You and Gen. Ackens thought you were so damned smart; one last ‘test’ to see if The Wolverine was really as field-ready as he claimed to be? You just wanted to prove Ackens & The Col. wrong; I hope 6 dead and 3 wounded was worth it.”

Maverick’s eyes grew hard at the way the Private was talking to him, but he knew deep down the young man’s words were true; He’d lost the best team he’d ever been able to draw together, and even though he’d been proven right, even Maverick had to admit to himself it had been a heavy price to pay.

Sighing loudly, he looked back down at the man in the hospital bed, all business. “Well, that’s for the review board to determine, isn’t it? I didn’t come here to re-hash the pending investigation on your former commanding officer. I just came by to see how you were progressing…and to tell you as soon as you’re released, you’ll be reporting to me, from now on.”

A dark brown eyebrow shot up to the top of his forehead as the young mutant stared with open animosity at Maverick, who was already turning to leave. “What??!

“You heard what I said. Howlett’s all but done for, and we’ve still got a mission to train for.”

“Son of a”“

“If you got a problem with that…” Maverick’s voice rose over the Private’s words, stopping the swear from completely coming out, “I suggest you take it up with Ackens; he’s the one that made that decision.”

The hospital door swung closed behind Maverick to the sound of renewed swearing as the injured Section X agent let his head drop against the pillows behind him. Things had gone from bad to down right FUCK’D…

---

Distracted from his thoughts, the Private looked up, a little startled when the door to his room opened quietly and a slim woman stepped in, dressed in scrubs & a white lab coat. Her bright eyes grew wide when she saw him laying there, but she came to the bedside quickly. “I’m sorry it’s taken so long; I haven’t done this sort of thing in a while. I had to practice all morning to make sure I could keep this up.”

He paused, then when he met her green eyes, sighed. Even her voice had been different, so he hadn’t recognized her at all, disguised in the body of a middle-aged doctor with salt-and-peppered hair. “Wow…sorry, for a sec I was caught off guard. Thanks for agreeing to come, Dr. Grey.”

She stopped at the bedside and reached down, taking his hand to squeeze it momentarily. “You’re welcome, Ben. Now, how can I help?”



---

The Next Day, back in Southampton
4:34p.m.
The Xavier Estate…


She’d found the house pretty deserted upon her return, no one there except the house employees. The reunion guests apparently had all gone back to their normal lives, including her sisters, who’d tried more than once to contact her over the several days she’d disappeared. She had just returned Marie’s & Beth’s voicemails the night before, apologizing for worrying them, letting each one know she was all right. That had been the extent of their conversations, as Ororo was too emotionally drained to get into her whereabouts for the past days.

“Missus? Can I get you something to eat?”

Looking up, Ororo smiled gently at Mrs. Duvahl but shook her head. “No thanks; I’m just here to collect the rest of my things.”

“Well all right, dear. Let me know if you change your mind.”

Ororo nodded, then as an afterthought called after her, “Mrs. Duvahl?”

The older woman turned, a questioning look on her face.

It was on her lips to ask about her father & Erik, who she knew from the news were both firmly entrenched in diplomatic negotiations in Genosha, but something held her back. Pride? Shame?

Both?

“Nevermind. I…I’ll be upstairs gathering my things.”


Once there, she took her time, packing up her remaining items that she’d been in too much of a rush to take a few days prior. Her thoughts kept drifting back to the last time she was here; how happy she’d been, how content…and foolish.

‘Wait now, none of that was your fault.’ She reminded herself, zipping up the suitcases, cringing at the memory of herself and Logan outside on the beach as he tried in vain to explain himself. ‘Well, maybe if you’d asked more questions…you did let Him get away with a lot of secretive bull shit…’

Shaking her head, Ororo dismissed the self-pity as quickly as it crept into her mind; there was nothing she could do about the demise of her relationship w/ Logan at this point. What was done was”unfortunately”done.

“Excuse me, Missus?”

Ororo turned to see Mrs. Duvahl standing in her doorway, a little more timid than she’d ever seen the woman in all her life. “Yes? Is something wrong?”

Before answering, the woman stepped into the room, almost as if she were afraid of disturbing Ororo’s thoughts, and reached into her dress-pocket to retrieve a folded piece of paper. Handing it to Ororo she answered, “I’m sorry, I almost forgot: there was a message left for you yesterday…”

Ororo’s eyes spoke of her intrigue, but she accepted the note anyway, opening it immediately. As she read, she heard Mrs. Duvahl murmur,

“…It’s from your Dad.”



---



Hammer Bay, Genosha
Two Days ago, August 10th…


He really wished sometimes that he’d never left teaching.

Sitting in the dark shadows of the Embassy suite behind drawn curtains covering bulletproof glass, Charles tried”for the fourth time”to write a quick letter to his daughter, who had been on his mind since leaving the States. He was trying to get it done in time to have it over-night delivered, but time was running against him.

Unfortunately, with the noise of the protesting crowd outside the Embassy’s gates, he wasn’t able to do much that required peace & quiet. He’d had to put himself in a near trance just to finish his speech to the Genoshan Parliament, which he was due to deliver in the next 90mins.

Looking down at the stationary again, Charles was reminded of classes at his Institute, getting the whole thing started while still on the U.S. gov’t payroll and trying to raise his children. To say things had been hard was an understatement. Despite the memory, he smiled, thinking of his good friend”best friend”Erik, who’d been there the whole time, helping him with homework assignments, school projects, squabbling siblings and when it was time for “The Talks”.

As the angry chants outside broke his concentration again, he shook his head in some wry humor, firmly believing that he’d give just about anything right then to go back those years to his first awkward sex talk w/ Ororo, rather than face the disillusioned mutants outside the Embassy.

“Charles? Are you ready?”

Startled, the Ambassador looked up to the face of his friend as Erik stood in the doorway. Sighing, Charles glanced down at the stationary where he’d only been able to write a greeting. “Not by a long shot.”

Lehnsherr came up to him, looking over his shoulder. Moving his eyes to Charles, he asked quietly, “Writing to Ororo? I didn’t know she’d returned any of your calls.”

“She hasn’t.”

Erik paused at the tightness in Charles’ voice, and they were quiet for several seconds, only the sounds of the pissed-off mob breaking the silence in the room. After another few moments, Erik squeezed his friend’s shoulder, and turned to walk away. “I’ll be waiting downstairs.”

Once he was alone again, Xavier picked the pen up again, and closed his eyes, concentrating deeply. It only took but mere seconds before he lowered his head, and quickly began to scrawl on the stationery’s empty space…


---


Thursday, August 12th
The Howlett Estate
11:35 p.m. EST


After almost 2 days straight of psyche evals, he’d been released w/ a ‘watch’ under his own recognizance, against the better objections of Dr. Gonzalez, who’d taken most of the blame for his…accident in the DR training session.

Considering his own role in the events (and probably more than just a little guilt), Gen. Ackens had pushed for Logan’s release, with the condition that wherever Wolverine went, he be monitored 24/7 via satellite. Logan had not been especially happy w/ that condition, but considering the alternative, he accepted it & kept his mouth shut, retreating to his summer home where he now felt trapped to the point of being under house arrest.

Logan still didn’t understand why Jason had agreed to the twisted plan Maverick had outlined, and now he just didn’t care. The fact that a man he considered a friend could even do something like that clouded Logan’s beliefs about exactly what he was really doing w/ his life. He was questioning everything at this point, not the least of which was why him?


“All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, Worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, Going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, No expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrows
No tomorrow, No tomorrow


And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which i'm dying, Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very very
Mad World, Mad World…”


Almost as if in answer, the air before him fluctuated, and a figure appeared before him, small and fragile, with cloudy white hair and pained blue eyes.

Laying on his side in the middle of the large living room floor, surrounded by trash & debris from his tantrum almost 2 weeks before, Logan blinked at the girl’s tattered clothes, her dirt-smudged cheeks and uncombed hair. She stared back at him, with this sort of disappointed, sad & hopeless expression.

Closing his eyes to her, he sighed w/ a shudder, admitting inwardly that he shouldn’t be surprised at his present problems. Half of what was wrong w/ his life now seemed to stem from that day 25 yrs ago…


“…Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
And they feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, Sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, No one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what’s my lesson
Look right through me, Look right through me”



His heart ached w/ guilt at the man he tried to leave back in Africa; it broke, thinking about the one he buried with Amahra.

“Daddy?”

His eyes snapped open and he saw his daughter standing in the exact place the other little girl had been. Cloudy white unkempt hair had transformed into short dark red curls; deeply tanned brown skin was blown to a pale pink”sick (was that how he was always to remember her?)”and pale blue eyes shifted to an even paler grey.

One shaky, calloused hand reached out to touch her, but Logan was too far away, and for some reason he couldn’t seem to stand or even move to sit up. Surprisingly, the space beside her shifted as well, and his eyes widened when he saw a ‘copy’ of himself materialize beside his daughter, looking down at Amahra with a smile he hadn’t seen in the mirror in much too long.

The two specters interacted as though they didn’t know Wolverine was there, as the other Logan reached down and swung the girl up into his arms, blowing a raspberry on her gaunt little cheek. Despite the tired look deep around her eyes, Amahra laughed in that impish, carefree way that children do, throwing her arms out to do her best bear hug. The embrace fell just short of actually touching the transparent image of Logan, however, and she disappeared from his arms.

While the standing image of Howlett seemed perplexed, the slightly shaking form on the living room floor knew exactly what had happened. His bleary eyes jerked to the wavering image behind his ‘twin’, where the hospital bed had emerged. ‘God dammit…Just stop it. Son of a bitch, just…!’

He tried to get his eyes to close, his face to turn away, but something told Logan that even if he’d managed to move his body again, if he closed his eyes, he’d still have to ‘see’ it. It was in his mind, after all…

As the image of Logan turned around himself, looking for his missing child, he was joined by a collage of disturbing images, all memories from Wolverine’s or Logan’s pasts”depending on which ‘version’ of the man had experienced them. A camouflaged Wolverine covered in the blood of his prey stared with a cold malice at the grieving father Logan, who called out in an unheard voice for a daughter that had left him. Behind the two men, landscapes collided; images of a jungle, the cold, snow-covered forest in Alberta, the beach of the summer home, a hot desert in Africa…

The room around him began to spin, the images before his mind’s eye swirling like bathwater down a drain. Unable to control the violent shaking of his body, Logan curled up on the floor, his eyes bloodshot and staring into the void.


---


Friday, August 13th, 2004
The Xavier Estate
8:23 a.m.


Slowly, Ororo came down the stairs, carrying two cases across her shoulder. She’d decided to spend the night there, probably for the last time, just for old-time’s sake. The short but tender note she’d received from her dad had a lot to do w/ the decision, and even now, thinking about it made the sides of her mouth quirk up in an uncontrollable smile. The Embassy-embossed stationary was carefully folded in her jeans pocket, where she knew she’d probably read it again as she made her way back to the mainland this morning.

“Heading out, Missus?”

She was just coming to the bottom of the staircase as Mrs. Duvahl met her, and Ororo smiled, eagerly reaching out to hug the older woman, who’d been as close to a maternal influence in her life as anyone. “Yes ma’am. Will you and the staff be okay here?”

The older woman waved away her concern. “Just like every other time your Father leaves us for a spell, I’d say. Besides, there’s plenty of cleaning left to this place. Some of our guests aren’t as tidy as you & yer sisters, if ya don’t mind my saying.”

Ororo hid a smirk behind her fingers briefly. “I can probably guess which ones. I’ll be sure to contact them and remind them this is still a home, not some hotel they can trash.”

Mrs. Duvahl nodded tersely, but Ororo could tell her heart wasn’t really into it, and after a moment she tittered a little as well, squeezing Ororo tightly. “Good then, sweetheart. Well…all right then, be off with you. Don’t want to miss your ferry. Martin’s out front waiting.”

She walked Ororo toward the door, gripping the younger woman’s hand securely. Ororo suddenly felt like she was leaving some task undone, something unsaid. Glancing behind them as Mrs. Duvahl stopped near the front door, she murmured, “I think, I’m really going to miss this place.”

The statement took the older woman by surprise, and she didn’t immediately reply to the finality in Ororo’s tone. Squeezing her shoulder, the unofficial Lady of the Manor opened the door for her favorite daughter. “You’ll be back, dear.”

Ororo appreciated the firm tone in her voice, but didn’t respond again, leaning in to peck the older woman’s cheek before whispering her goodbye, closing the heavy mahogany door after her.

Turning back to the bright morning sun, she quickly snapped on her dark sunglasses, and looked down the winding drive to the waiting limo. Only seconds later Martin opened his door, coming around to the side closest to her as she made her way down. Ororo smiled at his cool, pleasant face, but then her expression faltered ever so briefly, when she caught sight of the figure coming up the drive behind him.

Clear blue eyes shifted farther down the winding driveway to the narrow street, where a dark blue convertible was parked. She was sure the look on her face said it all, as Ororo tried to place the young, beautiful woman making her way up toward them. She didn’t look lost, she didn’t appear to be some local reporter perhaps seeking a statement about the Ambassador…so who was she?

The two women came to a stop about ten feet from each other; Ororo was closest to the car, as Martin reached to take her bags. Never taking her eyes from the other woman, she tried to give a smile, though it was tinted with curiosity & just a little wariness. “Uhm…hello? Can I help you?”

The striking woman held Ororo’s gaze for a pause, then reached up to tuck a loose strand of bright red hair behind her ear, almost in a nervous gesture. With a smile that was meant to reassure both of them, she lifted her other hand out in greeting.

“O-Ororo, I take it?”

The other woman’s snowy eyebrow rose momentarily, beginning to get uncomfortable with the disadvantage the stranger had in knowing her name. “Yes. And you are..?”

“Dr. Grey. Dr. Jean Grey.”

They shook hands quickly, and Ororo was momentarily distracted by Martin, as he quietly told her everything was ready when she was. Nodding to him, she indicated they’d be on their way in a minute, and then turned back to Jean. “Doctor. I’m sorry, do we know each other?”

“No, no…but we have a mutual…friend. Uh, is there somewhere we can talk for a moment?”

Ororo’s interest was piqued, and she looked around them for a second before gesturing to the back of the limo. “Martin, do you mind?”

Surprised she would ask, the chauffer shook his head negatively, reaching for the door handle & helping each woman in, out of the sun. “Take as long as you need, ma’am.”

Once inside, Jean sat across from Ororo, watching with more than a little interest as the other woman settled into the cushy leather, removing her sunglasses and letting down the windows on either side of them. The warm air that’d blown about before was replaced with a cooler breeze almost instantly with just the barest flicker of white in Ororo’s eyes, and Jean nodded to herself; if there’d been any doubt before that she had the right woman, it was erased fully now.

“I’m glad I came when I did; I almost missed you.”

Ororo leaned back against the seat, now openly evaluating the woman. There was something sort of familiar about her now, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. “Yeah, I’m on my way back to the mainland. What can I do for you, Doctor? You said we have a “mutual friend”, I believe is the term you used.”

Jean’s bright green eyes sparkled as she smiled warmly; they dropped momentarily to some indiscernible spot before she dodged, “Ben was right; I knew it had to be you from a mile away. You’re quite stunning, if you don’t mind my saying.”

Puzzled, Ororo replied, “ ‘Ben’..? Ben, where have I heard that name bef--? Wait…”

Jean leaned forward in the seat, her hands clasped tightly as she held Ororo’s gaze. “I’m sorry to come to you like this unannounced, but we”Ben & I”seem to be out of options, and I don’t think there’s much time left before He does something rash….(well, more so than He’s already done).”

“Wait, wait, who are we talking about? Is this Ben in trouble? I mean, I’ve don’t think I’ve ever met”“

“Not Ben. Logan.”

Whatever she’d been about to say was lost on the wind, as Ororo went completely still. She kept looking at Jean as if she’d said the absolute wrong thing, and as the telepath couldn’t help but receive the flurry of emotions from her, began to understand.

“You’re The Ex, aren’t you.”

“Yes.”

---


At That Moment, in Genosha…
3:23pm Genoshan Standard Time


The dozens of rows of stadium seating in the parliament hall had all been filled with delegates from across the globe, as everyone in the world seemed to have his or her own say in the debate raging on the small island nation.

They had gone on for hours, each one standing before the house with an idea on how to solve Genosha’s ‘problem’, or with an opinion on whose fault it was or a hastily-rushed amendment ready to lay down who was to pay for a solution no one could even agree upon yet.

Later, as they silently rode the elevator back up to the private rooms they shared adjoining each other, Erik & Charles could feel the tension and weariness weighing heavily on each other. After so many days, it was no secret the Ambassador felt as if they were spinning wheels, going nowhere.

*You know, I’d blessedly forgotten how utterly pointless the first few weeks of any negotiation often are.*

Erik barely stifled his laugh upon hearing Charles’ words echo in his head. They weren’t alone in the elevator, being ‘guarded’ by U.N. peacekeeping soldiers, and considering how easily other sensitive info on the talks had been leaked to the world press, decided that internal dialogue would be best when not alone.

*Missing the good ol’ days?* Erik teased, glancing down at Charles.

*Hardly.* Charles gripped his chair’s wheels as the lift slowed to stop at their rooms’ floor. When the doors opened, the first two guards immediately stepped in front of him, almost knocking him out of his chair; Charles routinely forgot their duty there, unaccustomed to having to watch out for his life 24 hrs a day. Sighing, he waved away Capt. Ward’s unspoken concern, indicating he just wanted to get going.

The Peacekeepers slowly moved down the hall, their S.H.I.E.L.D.-issued weaponry at the ready as they checked out the hallway, ready for any surprises on the way to Xavier’s & Erik’s rooms.

Once everything was checked as secure, Charles dismissed the men, who he knew were going to be no farther away than shouting distance outside the doors, as he and Erik took a mid-day rest between Parliament sessions.

“How are you doing so far?”

Charles grimaced as he rubbed the tense space between his eyebrows; nothing ever escaped Erik’s attention, it seemed. “Just a little tired, that’s all. I have a headache. Nothing serious.”

If Xavier had been looking up he’d have caught the dubious expression Erik passed his way, but that didn’t matter; the brief pause of silence in its place told him enough. It stretched as Lehnsherr got up & went to the kitchen, where they’d brought pre-prepared meals from home (they couldn’t be too careful). He set one of the plastic meal containers in the microwave, concentrating hard so his powers of magnetism wouldn’t interfere w/ the appliance as he set a short cook time. “It’s probably a good idea to get a snack before we go back.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Charles…”

Erik.”

His friend looked over at him with a mix of humor and exasperation, and Charles met it with stubborn determination. The round-and-round with them was nothing new, and deep down even through the vexation both friends knew there’d come a point when they’d miss these moments.

The microwave beeped several times, but neither man moved, simply looking at each other. After another moment, Erik got up, heading to the kitchen. Behind him he heard, “I’ll get the wine.”

Smiling, he responded, “I’ll get the plates.”


---


Back in NY…
9:05am EST


Ororo sat across from Jean at the delicate café table, not much more comfortable now than she had been upon first meeting Logan’s ex-wife. Her expression was carefully neutral but her posture was severely guarded, arms as well as legs crossed tightly. She’d been a bit surprised that Jean had admitted her telepathic abilities, but made no bones about immediately raising her own psi-shields.

“Where’d you learn how to do that, if I may ask?” Jean’s tone was mostly intrigued, with only a hint of discomfort at the fact that the other woman felt the need to do so.

Without hesitating, Ororo responded, “My father. His abilities are quite formidable,” she studiously kept her recent memories attesting to that fact deeply hidden, “and since he adopted me it’s been part of my training.”

The other woman’s brow went up a little higher. “Sounds as if that ‘training’ wasn’t entirely welcomed.”

“Trying to read me?”

Jean put her hands up in an open way, trying to defuse Ororo’s immediate tenseness. “Of course not, I mean, not like that. Your ‘shields’ are actually quite good”much better than I’ve ever run into”besides the fact that I’m a psychiatrist. It’s my job to ‘read’ people.”

Ororo only sipped her Espresso as an answer, inwardly realizing how uncomfortable Logan must’ve been at times, married to a woman who not only could read his thoughts but probably used the talent on a daily basis in her profession. She could understand how hard it may be to ‘turn off’ that instinct.

Now it was beginning to make some sense; Logan’s unwillingness to discuss this ‘Jean’ said a lot to her in light of realizing the woman’s powers. Ororo realized that until just recently, she’d never had to worry much about that sort of intrusion. She’d always trusted Beth and her father implicitly, to leave her thoughts her own…

Snapping out of that train of thought, Ororo blinked a couple times, realizing Jean had begun speaking again.

“But I’m not here to make you uncomfortable, Ororo. I promise I won’t try to go where I don’t belong if you’ll do something for me.”

“And that would be?”

“Tell me about You…and Logan.”

The shock on Ororo’s face spoke volumes to Jean, who didn’t immediately move to explain her query, instead judging the other woman’s response.

“E-Excuse me?”

“…Ben Campbell wasn’t able to give me much information about you, other than your name, where I may find you, and that Logan hasn’t been the same since he met you.”

Ororo’s lip did something funny, not exactly a frown, not really a smirk, as she flippantly responded, “Well, neither have I.”

“I knew there was something different about him.” Jean almost said to herself, stirring her coffee absently.

“Oh? You’ve seen Logan recently?” Ororo couldn’t help but ask, as casually as she could.

“Not really. It’s been some weeks.” Jean admitted, meeting her gaze. “But when I saw him, it was like going back in time. I hadn’t seen Logan smile like that since…since…”

Ororo remained quiet, curious now at the slight falter of Jean’s words, the flush in her cheeks and the look of pain that flashed past her face for the briefest moment. Like a puzzle piece, the image of the picture in Logan’s hallway fit perfectly before Ororo’s mind’s eye, and she took a sharp breath in. “There was a child. There was a child, wasn’t there?”

Unable to speak initially, Jean simply nodded, unbothered with how Ororo knew that information in light of her own pain. Swallowing hard, she tried to smile a little, tried to think of the good times she’d had with her family, now nothing more than memories. “Yes. Yes, there was. Her name was Amahra, and today is the anniversary of her death.”



---



Section X Headquarters (undisclosed location)
Some time that same day…


The 2 dozen or so military & government personnel sat rigidly in the darkened room, each pair of eyes hard and trained on the digital image projected on the silk screen before them. As the wild and dangerous image of Wolverine began to rip apart his team, only one pair of eyes looked away; only his, because he’d been there, and didn’t need the DR recording to remind him of what had transpired that day.

Shifting in his seat as the only sign of discomfort, Ben focused instead on the faces of the Tribunal Review Board, the other ‘Big Wigs’ from Section X, Maverick, Nina (the only other survivor able to make it, as Mystique was still laid up in the infirmary, unconscious), and finally General Ackens, who’d refused to sit, standing at the back of the small theatre-sized room, his large arms crossed over his chest & expression cold as a January morning in Chicago. Ben wondered what each of them was thinking, as the amplified screams and the sounds of flesh tearing were reproduced quiet magnificently over the 5.1 surround sound system.

As Wolverine finally turned to his last victim”Ben”blood dripping from his claws, a feral ness in his eyes matched nowhere else, one of the Tribunal members reached for the remote to the DLP projector, and was lucky enough to pause it just as Logan grabbed Ben by the neck, rearing back with his other arm to strike.

The single female Tribunal Chief glanced at her two comrades before raising her bifocal gaze to Chris (Maverick) Nord, who sat in the first row of spectators. “I have to say Captain, I’m surprised you still had the presence of mind to keep the data recorder going, as your team was being slaughtered below you.”

The icy tone in her voice was lost to no one, least of which Maverick, who straightened immediately in his chair. “General, at the time of Wolverine’s attack on our agents, I was as surprised as anyone else, but I knew that the incident would have to be documented if we were to discover what went wrong.”

“And is that why you didn’t leave the Observation deck to assist your agents?” one of the other Chiefs spoke up.

“Exactly, sir.”

The female Gen. wasn’t going to let Maverick get away with that, though. “I’m sorry, Capt. wasn’t your superior officer there observing this carnage with you? General Ackens?”

Jason Ackens didn’t move from the back of the room as his sharp gaze fixed on the Tribunal Chief. They were of the same rank, but the woman had 4 ½ yrs Seniority over him, and as a Tribunal Chief, even Jason Ackens had to answer to her. “I was present, General, that’s right.”

“So why didn’t you instruct Capt. Nord to assist his agents & force Wolverine to stand down?” The 3rd Chief finally spoke up, sensing where his female counterpart was going w/ her line of questioning.

Ackens’ gaze didn’t falter a bit as he answered, “So we could add another body to the count?”

“General.” The female Chief warned him. “I understand how difficult it must be to stand there & re-live the disaster of that day, with more than half of your best agents either dead or severely wounded, but we have a job to do here, and quite frankly I’m having issues with your lack of responsiveness”both today as well as on the day in question.”

Narrowing his eyes, Ackens responded calmly, “Yer damn right it’s difficult, General. But I don’t think you people quite understand something. Just what do you think Maverick or I were gonna be able to do? We’re talkin’ about the most dangerous agent”no, the most dangerous mutant”on earth, who just happened to ‘snap’ and take out 9 people. And you seriously think adding two more would’ve made a difference?”

“You’ll correct your tone, General.” She said between tight teeth. “If you and Maverick were ill-equipped to take on Wolverine, then just what sort of precautions does Section X have in place for eventualities like this?”

There it was, Ben thought, waiting for the response like everyone else. He’d had a similar thought, as he’d lain there in a widening pool of his own blood. Why had none of the safeties kicked in when the Colonel had gone ‘berserk’?

“There are fail-safes.” Was all Ackens admitted, his gaze flittering to Maverick for the briefest second.

“And?”

“They mal-functioned, Sirs.” Maverick spoke up then, his tone even, as if that were all the explanation needed.

“Excuse me?” One of the male Chiefs leaned over the high, expensive wooden table, pointing at Chris. “They ‘mal-functioned’?? And what about the back-ups for the back-up? Did they “mal-function” too??”

“There appeared to be a system crash just as Wolverine began to attack.” Chris explained. “I couldn’t stop the program, nor could I override any of the controls at that point. It wasn’t until after Agent Campbell was attacked that the system came back up & we could deploy the Weapon X fail-safes manually.”

“And that’s what finally stopped Wolverine.” The Chief concluded.

“That’s correct, Sir.” Maverick answered.

Shadowed in the gallery, Domino rolled her eyes, holding her broken arm still in its sling close to her chest. Her other injuries weren’t healing as well as Ben’s, as she was hurt much more than the healing young mutant. Rigidly sitting in a motorized wheelchair, she’d decided she wasn’t going to miss this Tribunal for anything, however. Nor did she believe a friggin’ word out of Chris Maverick’s lips.

“Do you have diagnostics from the DR’s A.I. compliance team to verify that?” The female Chief spoke up.

“They’ll be done w/in the hour, General. The diagnostic team will have their report ready for review as soon as possible.” Ackens said confidently.

The female Chief nodded, eyeing Maverick & Ackens separately. After a short & private conference w/ her two jury members, she reached for the gavel at her right and before smacking the wooden disk before her, “Gentlemen, ladies, we’re inclined to recess these proceedings until each Tribunal member has had a chance to review the findings of the Diagnostic team. We’ll be adjourned for the day and reconvene at 0800hrs tomorrow. Dismissed!”

The sharp rapping of the gavel echoed in the room, and the gallery members stood, waiting for the judges to leave before turning to each other. Domino rolled up behind Ben, touching his elbow to get his attention. “How do you like that?”

Ben turned to her, catching Ackens’ eye for a second before focusing on Nina again, murmuring, “Actually, this is good news.”

“How do you figure? It looks like Maverick & Ackens are gonna get away with it.”

“Not necessarily.” Ben countered, “we’ll wait & see what the DT comes up with. I don’t care what kinda story those two are spinning; I know the truth: the Col. wouldn’t have gone ballistic if it hadn’t been for that stunt Mystique helped them pull, and they didn’t do shit out there to help us once it started. It was almost like we were fuckin’ guinea pigs or something. That ain’t what I signed on for.”

Domino nodded in agreement, her sharp blue eyes fixing on Maverick’s back as he stood before the General, the two men conversing tensely. “Hell no. But I’m confused, Ben; why isn’t the Col. here to testify?”

Ben shook his head, “I don’t know. It’s damned irregular, though. The Colonel Howlett I know wouldn’t let the likes of Chris Maverick have a hand in ending his career like this. I was trying to get through to him, but I’m not sure it worked.”

“What do you mean?”

For a moment Ben hesitated, but then touched Nina’s arm, and led her out of the theatre, glancing behind them to make sure they weren’t to be overheard. “Col. Howlett’s in a real bad way right now, and Maverick”and the Gen.”knew something like this was gonna happen. They had to. They pushed him over the edge with that “dead daughter” bullshit, and now he’s so fucked up, I bet their hoping he isn’t gonna give two rats’ asses to this hearing. Like I said, though; I’m working on getting him some help, I just hope it isn’t too late.”


---


Back in Southampton…

Ororo looked at Jean with open skepticism in her eyes as the Doc held out her thin, manicured hands across the table. She couldn’t believe what this woman was asking her to do, and considering the recent experience w/ her father, Ororo was vehemently shaking her head.

“I…I’m sorry, I can’t do this.”

“It’s alright. You’ll only ‘see’ It from my point of view; I can shield you from the emotional tag-along, so you won’t have to feel what we felt, but I think this is the best way to explain what happened.”

Still, Ororo shook her head, watching Jean’s hands as they lay there on the table palms open, waiting and beckoning her to take the leap of faith. It was true she still wanted to understand what had happened to Logan that had pushed him so far deep into his present state of morose, but the sting and pain of Charles Xavier’s deception still burned quite brightly for her. She didn’t know if she could trust any telepaths, let alone one she just met that morning. “No, no…It’s no offense to you, Doctor Grey. I’ve simply been through quite a bit in the last few weeks. Telepathic contact isn’t something I’m ready for just yet.”

Jean’s eyes searched hers and after a couple seconds she reluctantly withdrew her hands, nodding. It was a risky gamble, but one she had to make; as the day wore on she had the feeling Logan was getting closer to the edge, and she wouldn’t be able to bear it if something happened to him…or if he hurt someone else. “I understand.”

“Please,” Ororo reached out to lightly touch her arm, “please tell me what happened.”

Jean nodded, swallowing hard as she took a deep breath. “Okay. But once I do, I hope you understand why I’ve come to you like this. Logan’s in trouble, and I think you may be the only one that can help him.”



TBC…
Summer Moved On, pt. 1 by Echo
Chapter #24 “Summer Moved On, pt. 1”


Friday, August 13th 2004
1.5 mi from The Howlett Estate
3:26pm


The day had started out with a bright, beautiful sun, clear azure skies and a warm caressing wind that was picturesque of summers on the beach. By noon, that had all but disappeared completely.

Sunbathers up and down the private & public-access portions of the beach quickly gathered their belongings, packing everything up to hurry & get out of the chilled wind and cold drizzling rain that started to fall shortly after the hour.

The waves of the surf sent rumbles through the air as they crashed, beating the densely-packed white sand into submission. Blue skies & billowing white clouds were replaced now with a muted grey atmosphere and darker clouds that strained to hide flashes of lightning every few moments. It was true storm-type weather; such that anyone would be crazy to be out in it.

‘So, what does that say about You?’ Ororo asked herself as her bare feet trudged through the sand. Holding her bright white tennis shoes by the tongues in one hand, she kept her eyes on her feet, marveling at the crystallized particles as they stuck to her skin almost up to the calves.

Anything to distract herself from what she was doing.

‘You’re out of your mind, you know.’ Damn, it wasn’t working. Furrowing her brow, ‘Ro hunched her shoulders, eyes narrowing as she picked up her pace just a little. ‘If a trained professional can’t help this guy, what in the world makes you think You can do any better??’

Thunder overhead was her answer as she kept walking, trying to also ignore the furious beating of her heart. Unbidden, images of the first time she’d met Him popped into her head, followed by the recollection of the first time she’d seen his metallic claws.

Was it by mere chance or by Logan’s will that she’d not seen them since that day?

An active imagination was enough to supplant the images Jean offered to show her as Ororo could envision what those razor sharp extensions had done to Ben Campbell & the rest of Logan’s trainees. While Jean had not disclosed Logan’s involvement in Section X, she had given Ororo some of the gory details of the “training accident” that had landed the young man in the hospital and Logan in deep shit.

The two women had spoken for hours, as Jean tried to supply some of the missing pieces to Logan’s past that Ororo now found herself wishing he’d trusted her enough to give on his own.

Sighing heavily, she admitted to herself that perhaps it was too late for them, romantically speaking…but there was something in her heart that still tugged listening to Jean’s description of the little spunky girl with her mother’s hair and her father’s stubbornness. She’d been the light of Logan’s eye, and her death had severed what little progress Logan had made in his tumultuous life toward mental stability…


---
A couple hours before…
Jean was a picture of reserve, trying her best not to cry in front of Ororo as she recalled the days & weeks up to and after Amahra’s passing. Her coffee forgotten, she sat with her shoulders slumped and hands clasped tightly in her lap, staring hard at some unknown spot just to the left of where her rapt audience sat, bright green eyes slightly dulled from life while still shining with unshed tears.

“…I knew from the moment we met that He was different.” Jean couldn’t help the wistful smile as she remembered, “We were young…or, I guess I should say
I was. To this day I’m not sure if it was because of my powers or in spite of them that we connected like we did. In retrospect, I see now it couldn’t have ever lasted long, whether or not we’d ever had Amahra. Logan was the best father I could’ve hoped for, but husband…?”

Ororo’s eyes stayed trained on this woman, as she couldn’t help but feel a small pang of jealousy mixed with sympathy. And maybe just a little despair. How could she have ever hoped she & Logan would’ve worked out now, in light of the disaster of his marriage? If a telepath couldn’t even connect with him, what hope had she?

Suddenly Jean looked directly at her, as if she could sense the other woman’s unease & regret, and smiled just a little. “…well, let’s just say that he didn’t lack for trying. But what I didn’t realize then”and had to come to accept in order to finally admit it was Over”was that I couldn’t “fix” Logan. No matter how hard I tried. No matter how much he said he wanted to change. It just wasn’t IN him. I didn’t understand it at first, and I guess now that’s my own foolishness & bravado. But there are things about Logan…things in his past…that simply wouldn’t
”won’t”allow him to be fully happy, content…or even at peace.”

Ororo couldn’t help the tightness in her chest at the finality of Jean’s tone as she recounted the sordid details of Logan’s days in the Canadian military, his vague memories of a tattered childhood that resulted in his mother’s death & his father’s abandonment…She’d almost been about to say something else, but stopped, looking back to Ororo momentarily.

“That’s partially why I came to see him a few weeks ago. I knew this day was coming, and considering what happened when I tried on my own to help him, I was”well,
shocked I guess is the right word”to see him actually smiling. He looked nothing like the man I’d visited back in June.”

Ororo didn’t respond immediately, her brow furrowed as she tried to recall her encounters w/ the man from then. The time seemed so far away to her. Meeting Jean’s gaze, she finally said, “You said you tried to help him. What did you do?”

Here is where the Doctor paused, a look of guilt over her face that didn’t soon leave, as she carefully explained to Ororo her “fool-hearty” attempt to unlock & re-assemble the fractured pieces of Logan’s mind, to enable him to re-connect with his emotional center that had been severed during his unfortunate time with Dept. H. It had been an attempt born of the love Jean had for him and was mostly selfless, as she only wanted the man she cared so deeply for to be able to experience love and life as he was ‘meant’ to.

“Why didn’t it work?” Was Ororo’s obvious question.

Matter-of-factly, Jean replied, “Because you can’t force the mind to do something it really just doesn’t want to do. I learned that the hard way with Logan.”

Shifting in her seat, Ororo’s thought immediately went to her father, but she tried to focus on what Jean was still saying…

“His mind was cut to pieces like a jigsaw, and the people responsible knew exactly what to take out & what to leave. It’s why sometimes He seemed like two different men to me. There was ‘Logan’, who you could trust and love and who seemed to want to return those things…and then there was
someone else.

Ororo’s brow rose at the cryptic way Jean said that last, her face going a little paler and she fidgeted in her chair as well. “Like another personality?”

Jean lifted a shoulder, as she realized she was getting too close to exposing Logan’s alter, his shield, his protector”Wolverine. “Maybe. Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to find out. The damage I did was done, and I couldn’t take it back. I tried to open a door in Logan’s psyche that he wasn’t ready”or
able”to open, and our family paid the price. After that, he wouldn’t let me within ten feet of him…psychologically speaking.”

Ororo looked to her in confusion. “But…was this before or after Amahra?”

“Before, during, after…” Jean counted on her fingers, “At first, he was all for it; Logan really wanted to be a great dad, and he thought If I could ‘undo’ the damage done to his mind, he’d be a better father to our child. It sort of worked, too…until Amahra got sick….”


---


Ororo looked up, her feet feeling heavy in the sand as she realized she was within eyesight of the house, its darkened windows and long shadows sending chills up her spine. It was so quiet and lonely and alone.

It began to look every bit of a prison as Logan had made it over the past year.

As she stepped up to the back porch quietly, her hand raised as if to knock, she paused, remembering Jean’s last words to her:

“I’m sorry, Ororo. It isn’t right to lay this all on you, but I thought you should know exactly what you’d be walking into…”


For the 1st time, she felt just a little trepidation in her heart, her pulse beating wildly in her chest and ears as she realized for the first time that she was afraid.


---


Thousands of Miles away…
The day’s peace talks had been more eventful than even Charles or Erik had anticipated. It was hard work to be sure, but as the two men now sat in the spacious living room area in Charles’ suite, Magnus with a stiff Brandy (Charles accepted water due to his high dosages of meds) in hand, there was a calm sense of satisfaction & accomplishment.

“Do you think the U.N. will accept the new proposal for international aid?” Erik asked after a few moments of silence.

Charles’ fingers stroked the outside of the glass, as he tried w/ some vain to disguise the slight trembling of his hands. With more energy than he actually felt, he smiled at his friend. “After all the sweat we’ve put into it, God I hope so. If I hear anything even remotely sounding like a ‘back to the drawing board’ tomorrow, things may get ugly.”

Erik chuckled, reaching for the flask of liquor to refill his shot glass. “I think the Prime Minister realizes that. I’ll bet she’s on the phone now, even at this hour, trying to drum up more support for the proposal.”

“If that were only true…” Charles started, then paused to touch his forehead briefly while Erik looked down to pour the drink. By the time his friend raised his eyes to him again, waiting for his next words, the Ambassador thought he’d successfully covered the momentary lapse. “…it would give me peace of mind that she wasn’t sabotaging our efforts in some ridiculous attempt to prove a point.”

“You mean about Genosha’s ‘independence’?”

“Right. There are still too many here that are letting pride goeth before that fall everyone else sees coming if action isn’t taken quickly. The medical community here just isn’t equipped to handle the waves of new TLV cases cropping up each month. Corporations are pulling up stakes, taking crucial jobs with them, and let’s not even talk about the floundering exports industry.”

Erik nodded, knowing all of this already, but not interrupting Charles as he re-counted the disaster that was Genosha’s economic situation for the past few years. It didn’t happen over night, and unfortunately wouldn’t be fixed as quickly either. “But we’re making progress. Oh, that reminds me; I caught CNN running sound bites from your 1st address to the Parliament earlier. I’ve heard from some of the others that BBC, FOX and CBS are also doing pieces highlighting what’s going on. The exposure-angle seems to be working pretty well.”

Unable to help a weaker smile, Charles put his glass down and tried to grip the wheels of his chair, but his hands shook too much. Reaching up to the motorized remote at his right, he flipped the switch between manual & automatic. “I can’t take all of the credit. A few Pulitzer-seeking journalists may have something to say on the matter.”

“Well, no matter,” Erik waved off his friend’s humility. “Not that the ends justify the means, but I’ll take help wherever we can get it.”

Nodding in agreement, Charles turned his chair away, heading to the bedroom. “Agreed…Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m heading off to bed. We’ve got Larry King Live in the morning.”

Magnus nodded quickly before setting the glass down on the side table & standing, stretching. “Good then. I’ll meet you here for breakfast, ok?”

Charles was barely able to nod, keeping his eyes adverted as he pressed the remote a little harder, speeding up the chair. “Right…”

Before he opened the door to Capt. Ward’s ever-present face, Erik paused, turning to Charles’ retreating figure. “Oh, did you take your meds for the evening?”

With a barely-audible sigh, Xavier didn’t turn but responded quietly, “Yes, Erik.”

“Ok, alright, I’m done nagging for the day. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Good night.”

“Good night Charles.”

Once the door was closed, the Ambassador could just barely hear the voices of Capt. Ward and Erik outside before they faded. Rolling into his bedroom, Charles stopped immediately beside the bed, where the dark wooden night table supported a single dim lamp. With visibly shaking hands, he took out the bottles of medication and a sterile needle cased in plastic.

He knew he’d forgotten to take the last round about an hour ago, when his mouth began filling with bile every few minutes and the dizzy spells started. He’d been late earlier that day as well, but not purposely as they were in the middle of negotiating trade agreements. Charles honestly didn’t see the point to this anymore, as the medication provided only partial relief now”at best.

He knew the stress of his current assignment was wearing heavily on his body. He was in moderate to severe pain almost all day, but he refused to take the dosages of morphine or Fentanyl Moira & Hank had agreed he could tolerate & prescribed. The unused narcotics gathered dust in the bottom of Charles’ medication bag, never even opened.

Automatically, he tied the tourniquet about his bicep, which took several moments with the increasing amount of trembling. Sighing heavily, he shook his head, wondering how in hell he was going to administer the shot when he couldn’t get his hands to stop shaking.

After several failed attempts (and a little cursing), Xavier laid the unused syringe down on the table. Pulling the thick rubber band from his arm, he shoved it back into the desk. He could call Erik…but the thought of asking for help for the millionth time since his diagnosis of TLV was suddenly more sickening to him than the side effects of the cocktail. It was the first time Charles really sat back and allowed himself to feel self-pity, and while it was reassuring in a weird way, it also marked the height of hopelessness.

With the greatest amount of effort he’d ever used since 1st discovering his powers, he used a little telekinesis to lift himself from the chair and onto the bed. Moving the sheets was pointless (not to mention energy-consuming) and so he didn’t bother, just drawing the comforter up, still dressed in his slacks and expensive shirt he’d worn earlier that day.

He was just so tired, and suddenly things just weren’t mattering like they used to.

Reaching for his wallet on the nightstand, he flipped past his NY State I.D. card, the one credit card he always took w/ him and the laminated ‘cheat sheet’ Henry had made for him to remember which med he was supposed to take when & the dosage.

Laying his tired, slightly spinning head against the blissfully soft pillows, he looked at the old, well-worn pictures in the back of his wallet, filled with images of his friends, his closest contacts and mostly his family. There were pictures of Charles & Erik, Moira and Sean at the ground-breaking of the School over two decades ago; a copy of a snapshot he’d taken with Nelson Mandela, as the persecuted liberator reached through the bars of his cell to lay a reassuring hand on Charles’ shoulder; he flipped past three different images of himself standing beside 3 different presidents in the Oval Office of the White House…

Again and again, Charles flipped through the plastic-covered photos, immersing himself in his textured past to escape the increasing pain his body was in. Finally, the last two pictures he paused at actually made his bleary eyes crinkle in a genuine smile, as he stared at a family photo including all of his adopted children & their classmates after the first full semester at the School. He remembered the hard work the children had committed themselves to, and how proud he was of all of them.

The last picture was the most weathered…its edges frayed & worn from so much handling and age, of course. He’d always meant to get it restored, or a copy of it, but had never gotten around to it.

It was 20-something years ago, just outside the family courtroom, after the judge had made his adoption of Ororo legal, binding & permanent. She was propped up in his arms, her short wavy white hair brushed from her luminous eyes and pinned on the side in the front (Moira’s idea), in a pale blue that matched her dress, socks & of course her eyes.

He remembered Erik had snapped the image, catching the new father & daughter as they looked at each other in a sort of ‘I got you, Babe’ smile. Her plump little hand held onto the edge of his dress shirt’s collar, her other arm around his neck.

Staring hard at the image of himself, so much younger, stronger and happier, Xavier smiled again, fighting the fatigue and he watched the angelic image of his daughter’s face until he succumbed to the darkness.


---


Meanwhile, back in Southampton…
The humidity outside only added to the stifling heat of the un-cooled home as she carefully came through the back door to the foyer and into the kitchen. She’d been surprised the doors were unlocked, but then checked herself; who’d be crazy enough to come here except her?

Inside, she stepped around the mess strewn all over on the floor, her eyes taking in the damage and she knew it was from Him. Hugging herself, she bit down on a nail, chewing nervously, fighting the urge to turn, to leave…to run away.

‘You know why you can’t”won’t.’ She chided, padding on silent (at least, to her ears) feet toward the kitchen’s doorway, toward the hall and the spacious living room.

Before she could enter the room, she caught the sound of an empty bottle rolling somewhere, the sound of glass clinking roughly against another hard surface. In the silence it made her start, but Ororo took a deep breath, arming her with the knowledge that she should remember why she was here and for whom.



As she rounded the corner she saw him, sitting up now, but just barely propped up against the lower half of the couch, his head hanging to one side, his arms seemingly useless at his sides. Reddened grey eyes stared out the uncovered sliding glass doors to the side patio, out at the crashing surf, out past the water and into oblivion.

The soft gasp that escaped her lips seemed to reverberate in the decimated room, as she took in the sight of Logan, several days past any semblance of clean, his hair disheveled, clothes dirty and torn, dozens of bottles of liquor littering the floor immediately surrounding him. She remembered once he kidded with her that he wasn’t able to get fully intoxicated due to his healing factor, but as she looked at him now, obviously inebriated as his head listed to one side, the stench of vomit permeating her nostrils, she knew better.

It was pointless to count the amount of bottles on the floor as she came to his side, kneeling carefully, taking him by the shoulders. Looking him over as if checking for physical wounds, her eyes bulged even though she tried to keep her voice calm. “L-Logan..? (o my God) are you alright?”

He didn’t answer right away; as a matter of fact, he didn’t even seem to hear her, continuing to stare past her outside.

“…Logan? Please, say something; talk to me. I have to know you’re okay.” She gently shook his shoulder, but when she again got no response, lifted his bearded chin, turning his face up to her.

The vacancy in his eyes eventually shifted, his line of sight changed and he looked into her eyes. Surprise flashed before her reflection in his pupils before his brow suddenly creased, his face turning to agony as if he was in pain. Jerking away from her, he moved like lightning, sliding as he back-pedaled away on the floor before scrambling to his feet. The quick movement did nothing to help his stupor, and he stumbled several times as he moved away from her.

“Logan, wait”“

Powerful shoulders heaving as if he’d just finished a long run, he kept his back to her, but he stopped walking, his body wavering as he tried to maintain his balance. Slowly his head turned a little, and she saw his fists clench reflexively as a deep, gravelly voice broke through: “What the fuck are you doin’ here?”

A little moment of panic coursed through her; Ororo kept her eyes on his hands as the wrists moved in tandem to the flexing fingers. She didn’t have to be a genius to realize the instinct he was fighting back right then.

Carefully, she stayed exactly where she was, as she didn’t want him to misinterpret any sudden movements. In the back of her mind Jean’s words played again, warning her of The Other side of Logan. When she hesitated in answering him, his piercing silver eyes turned to her fully, glowing just a little as he stared at her like a predator.

Despite internal warning signals, she kept her eyes adverted initially, swallowing hard as she looked at the floor. “Logan…I-I came because I was worried. I wanted to make sure you were OK.”

“Why the hell wouldn’t I be?” he seethed, and she could tell by his tone that he was daring her to name her true motive.

For her part, Ororo knew that she couldn’t back down from him, but at the same time challenging this Other side of Logan was as dangerous a course of action as she could take. Quietly, she answered, “Because…because I know”“

He swung around at her then, jabbing a finger toward her to cut her off. “You don’t know shit”“

“”I know what today is.”

The wild look in his eyes intensified if possible, as if she’d verbally insulted him. Their eyes met, and he seemed to be knocked into speechlessness, his body also frozen but quivering in anger at once. His lack of response gave her false hope that maybe she’d gotten through, and Ororo stood slowly.

“It’s…it’s okay…” She tried again, moving cautiously to him, noticing the ‘caged animal’ look he was giving her.

He let her get as close as within arm’s length before he stepped back. She took two steps forward, reaching out to him to lay a shaky hand on his arm, stroking him there soothingly. Taking a deep breath, she continued, “…I know you’re angry. I know you’re hurting. I know that Logan is still here, though. No matter what They did, that’ll never change”“

At the mere allusion to The Other, the tentative reservation pretending to be calm flew out the window, and he yanked his arm away from her, stepping away out of her reach. “Lady, you think you know what’s goin’ on? You don’t know shit.”

“Wait”“

“Fuck, take a look around here, sweetheart; is this the sort of life you want? Is this what you wanna look forward to, every time things get ‘tough’ for Him?”

She blinked, confused at his reference to himself in the 3rd person. Ororo had only taken Jean’s word at face value, but now she began to realize that the Doctor had been telling the blatant truth: Whatever had been done to James Howlett’s mind had, in fact, produced two very separate, very antagonistic personalities. One was ‘Logan’…and the Other was now staring at her like he wanted to gut her where she stood.

Treading carefully, she kept her voice a neutral level. “Hold on…I wasn’t talking about Me & Logan…but you know that. I’m talking about what happened to his little girl. I’m talking about Amahra.”

“I don’t wanna hear this…” he growled harshly, stomping away toward the back of the house. She followed him at a respectable distance, but stopped quickly when his fist lashed out in the hallway, smashing through the picture frame holding the drawing the little girl had done. It clattered to the floor, the glass smudged with blood along with pieces of the drywall behind it. He didn’t seem to care, continuing on his way as if the more distance he put between them the better.

Ororo was about to follow as he headed out (presumably to circle back to the garage), but paused at the foot of the stairs, glancing up to the 2nd floor. There was something up there she knew he didn’t want her to know, and a dangerous plan began to form in her mind, as she changed her direction, planting one foot on the first step. As He almost disappeared through the front foyer, she called out, “Fine. If You won’t help Logan, then I will…”

With his hand on the doorknob, he was about to swing it open when his acute ears picked up the sound of footfalls on his stairs. Anger and panic mixed within him as his eyes grew wide and he turned on his heel, running back into the house & after her up the stairs.

Ororo managed to get as far as 4ft past the second floor landing before she heard him right behind her. She wasn’t positive she’d be able to remember the layout of the house or where Jean told her to go, but she reached out to the only closed door upstairs and even managed to turn the lock before his large hand shot past her head, slamming the door shut again.

When he swung her around to face him, she could tell the redness in his eyes had nothing to do with being drunk. Roughly pushing her back against the closed door, he leaned in close to her face, lip curled to reveal dangerous canines; the soft purr she’d come to find soothing as they’d lain sleeping in each other’s arms was now a vicious snarl rumbling from his chest.

Ororo knew she couldn’t help the smell of fear emanating from herself as she stood against that door, paralyzed by the look this man was giving her. His eyes actually burned through her as if she were a stranger…no, an enemy. It was a dangerous reversal of the last time they’d seen each other, but this time she knew one of them was not in control.

“L-Logan--!” She tried to break through again, but a flash of movement stopped her as his hand lashed out, strong fingers circling her neck. Their height differential made no difference as he dragged her body up slowly against the door so that her toes barely touched the carpeted floor. She clawed at his hand in vain, feeling her windpipe constrict, until a blood-chilling voice broke through her choking gasps:

“I ain’t Logan, sweets. It’s Wolverine.”


---


The Genoshan Embassy
Early Saturday morning, August 14th…

It was probably the most relaxing shower he’d managed to have since their arrival here, and so he took his time that morning before dressing & going down the hall to the next suite to meet Charles for breakfast.

The moment he stepped out of his room, Erik knew something was wrong.

Several feet away, Capt. Ward and two of his men were standing before Xavier’s closed door; this wasn’t unusual. The look of concern on their faces, however, was.

“Captain? What’s going on?” Erik looked at each man in turn, although he spoke to their superior.

The sandy-haired soldier laid a hand on his closest Lt., moving the man out of Erik’s line of sight and turning to the attorney. “Sir. We’ve been knocking on the Ambassador’s door for close to five minutes with no answer”“

“What??” Erik became immediately agitated, turning to the door, “why the hell didn’t anyone come get me?”

“We tried, Mr. Lehnsherr,” Ward’s Lt. spoke up, “but you weren’t answering either. We thought maybe the two of you were together downstairs, but we had to be sure.”

Ward raised a hand to his man, turning back to Erik. “The night watch just verified that he hasn’t left his room throughout the night, but”Mr. Lehnsherr, sir wait!!”

The 3 soldiers stepped back on instinct as the powerful mutant raised his hand and they could hear the sound of the door’s metal hinges releasing from the frame. The heavy wooden door blew in, the tiny pieces of metal carrying it into the living room of the suite. At once alarms began to sound, and as Capt. Ward got on his comm. link to advise the rest of his men around the Embassy what was going on, Erik rushed into the room, heading straight for Charles’ bedroom.

“Oh, my God..!”

The 3 Peacekeepers heard the oath from where they still stood outside, but not for long. Ward was the first one into the bedroom, stopping in the doorway as he met Erik’s look of horror.

Cradling the Ambassador’s head carefully, Lehnsherr turned to the soldier, barking, “Get a Doctor”Now, Goddammit!!


---


Yesterday (Friday) Afternoon, Back at the Howlett Estate…
Who the hell did this bitch think she was??

She didn’t know shit from bricks about what he’d been through. How hard he had to work to keep that pussy-whipped bastard from destroying Them both. Hell, the way he saw it, Logan was so damned weak lately because of her.

Flint-colored eyes gauging her, Wolverine sneered as she struggled for breath. He could tell her instinct to raise a knee at him was about to win over; that, and the cloudy turn of her eyes told him he’d have to be quick in making sure she didn’t toast his ass. Still he couldn’t resist to taunt, “Logan’s been ‘out’ fer a while.”

Ororo gasped, almost about to call down a bolt of white-hot lightning to blast him off his feet, when she hesitated. He saw her indecision, and simply laughed at her.

“You think showin’ mercy is gonna get ya anywhere, girl? You know what happens when you show people mercy?” He squeezed her by the neck just a little more to get his point across,

“They fuck you over.”

She shook her head in his grasp, gasping as her vision blurred. Panic welled inside her, but Ororo couldn’t relinquish her resolve, despite the fear. Her lips moved as she struggled to speak but no words emerged. When she heard the chilling sound of metal ringing out into the air, she sighed, a single messy tear coursing from the edge of her eye down her cheek.

Wolverine saw it, and he felt absolutely nothing. No sympathy, no regret, hell not even interest at this point…

Yet he gave pause.

He didn’t know why, but just analyzing it was enough time for her to cut into him with the sharpest weapon she had.

…(acgh)…I…I’m sorry…I know, what…happened. (gasp)…know, what happened, to”to Amahra…

His eyes locked into hers, and Wolverine felt a twinge.

No. “Shut the fuck up.”

Another tear fell, as Ororo fought against passing out. “…(gasp)…I know, h-how she died…why…

Wolverine squeezed, spitting as he yelled at her: “I SAID FUCKIN’ SHUT UP!!”

…It wasn’t…wasn’t Logan’s fault…Or Yours.



…Seconds passed in agony, and for a frightening moment she thought she’d made the biggest mistake of her life in trying to do this on her own. Blinking furiously to clear her vision, Ororo realized with blessed relief that his hold on her neck was loosening.

Her feet touched the soft carpet after a few more moments, and she began to feel the vibrating of his shaking body as his fingers still stayed at her throat. She could breathe”thank God!”but didn’t immediately move away out of his reach.

Unsure who was standing before her, she laid a hand on his wrist, just holding him there, searching his eyes.

The man standing before her stared into a limitless void; she wasn’t even sure if he saw her any longer, his eyes saucer-sized and glazed over, his breathing ragged and shallow. His lips moved every few seconds but no sound came forth.

“…Logan?”

He gasped, his face turning to her quickly as if realizing he wasn’t alone. Confusion marred his features for a second, before he looked down to his hand still poised at her neck, and jerked it away, holding his hand close to himself in disbelief.

Stumbling backwards, His back hit the opposite wall hard, and he slide down to a sitting position, where he covered his face with his hands, shaking. “Sunuvabitch…! Wha-what the fuck am I doin’??”

Ororo bit her lip, still leaning against the bedroom door, but looked down at him. He raised his eyes to her, and the pained guilt there took her breath away.

“Ro...? Darlin’, wh”I-I mean…”

“I know.” She whispered hoarsely, nodding sympathetically.

He shook his head, as if he were sure she really didn’t understand. “No, no…you gotta go.”

“Logan…”

“No, you gotta go. You can’t be here like this. I can’t control it anymore, don’t you understand? I-I can’t control it.”

Him. You mean, ‘Him’. Wolverine.”

He peered up at her as if surprised she knew that name. Shakily, he reached into his shirt and drew out the shiny dog tags, staring hard at them. Gripping them with a vice-like hold, he yanked the metal chain, popping it from around his neck; dropping the tags, he hung his head, ashamed and defeated.

Against everything sane, she took wobbling steps over to him, kneeling before him. Grasping his sagging shoulders, she pushed him back so he’d look up at her. Quietly she whispered, “I know you can do it.”

He shook his head, ready to dispute her.

Ororo continued, “…yes, you can. I can help. But I need you to do something first. Do you trust me?”

Logan raised his eyes to her, and it was the first time she’d seen real fear in him. Speechless, he simply nodded quickly, and didn’t resist when she helped him up, standing behind him with her hands on his shoulders.

“…Then, I need you to open. that. door.

The look on Logan’s face could’ve just as well resulted from a request to slice her open with his claws, as he stared hard at the closed wood door. His heart beat loudly in his ears, his pulse quickened almost to the point of hyperventilating. Gulping, he immediately shook his head.

“Logan, please. You trust me. Trust Me.”

His shoulders fell, as he tried to come to some inner compromise. Ororo couldn’t know what she was asking him to do. This door hadn’t been opened in a year, and there was a reason for that…

‘She put her life in Wolverine’s hands, you jack ass,’ he chided himself. ‘No, in Your hands. She trusted you to break through…before He…’

Silence lengthened in the long hallway until finally, the floorboards sighed just a little when he took the 1st step forward. After another step, then another and he felt her fingers slide from his shoulders, but she was still there, still there for him. It’s just that Ororo realized as did he that this was something Logan was going to have to do on his own.

Logan’s trembling fingers closed around the doorknob and his other hand laid flat against the cool wood as he rested his forehead against it.



“it was only one hour ago
it was all so different then
there’s nothing yet has really sunk in
looks like it always did
this flesh and bone
is just the way that we are tied in
but there's no-one home…




The sound of a lock releasing echoed in the heavy air before them, and as the door slowly swung open, she heard his breath take in sharply, his body leaning forward and hands gripping the frame of the door for support.

It took another 2mins before he finally took his first step inside, cautiously as if he expected someone to jump out and attack him. From behind him, Ororo stayed in the hall at first, watching quietly as his head turned from side to side; he looked up, down and around the moderately-sized room.

Inside, Logan’s eyes took in his surroundings as if seeing the room for the first time, but he seemed afraid to touch anything, keeping to the middle of the room purposely.



i grieve for you
you leave me
it’s so hard to move on
still loving what's gone
they say life carries on
carries on and on and on and on…”




Stuffed animals slept at the bedside and a huge Barbie house had drawn curtains in the corner. His eyes rose to the walls, where hand-drawn pictures in bright crayon and paint lined up from waist-high almost to the ceiling, numbering in the dozens. Unframed photos were crudely thumb-tacked in the remaining spaces on the wall, each with a single theme in common: Amahra.

And her father.

Logan found himself drawn to the small wooden desk near the windows, where pencils, crayons & markers were still splayed about in childlike abandon with a thick drawing pad. A half-finished picture of little Amahra Howlett, her mother & father at Cinderella’s Castle with Mickey Mouse & The Little Mermaid smiled back at him.


Sighing in despair, Logan nodded and whispered, “I asked you…to draw me a picture of where you wanted t’go first…after gettin’ out of the hospital…”

“You weren’t supposed t’look yet, Daddy.”

He whirled around, eyes wild & pained, to see his little girl sitting behind him on the neatly-made bed of sky-blue frills and lace. She was exactly as he remembered her, springy red curls falling into her face, tired silver eyes finding the strength to admonish him. Her frail little arms and legs poked out of a child-sized hospital gown decorated with floating multi-colored balloons, and as she slid off of the bed to come toward him, pulled at it in discomfort.

Caught off guard, Logan watched her until she stood right beside him, also looking at the picture. “It’s a surprise. For you, and moma.”

“I know.” He whispered, recalling the day after she died, when he came upstairs and saw it then. It was the last time anyone had been in her room.

She looked up at his broken face, a look of curiosity and sympathy in her eyes. “I didn’t get to finish it. But it’s ok.”

He was shaking his head again, mumbling something incoherent. Her brow furrowed momentarily. “Daddy?”

Logan didn’t look down at her, and after a few seconds she tugged on his pants leg. When he still didn’t budge, she finally reached up and slid her fragile fingers through his, squeezing with a reassurance someone her age rarely was able to give.

Glancing down then, he watched their intertwined hands, and turned hers over, catching sight of the transparent-blue hospital bracelet stamped with her first initial, last name & patient ID number. When she started to speak again, Logan found himself trapped by her gaze.

“Daddy, it’s ok.”

“No it ain’t. This was my fault, baby girl. This was all my fault.” He sank to one knee, still holding her hand.

“Moma says it isn’t. She told me, up here”“ Amahra touched her forehead, indicating the telepathic exchange, “”why it happened. She doesn’t blame you. Me neither.”

He reached out and held her round little face in both his hands, smiling with sad eyes into her ashen features. “You don’t?”

“Nuh-uh. I love you daddy. And you love me. That’s all.” She stated simply in that lovely, factual way that children do.

He reached for her and she opened her arms, standing on her toes to hug his neck with a strength he knew she shouldn’t have had. “…it’s alright, daddy. Now you can let me go.”

He opened his eyes to protest, to assure her he’d never be able to forget even if she could forgive, but Amahra was already gone. Staring down into his empty, aching arms, Logan’s head slowly twisted from side to side, as if he expected her to reappear.



“the news that truly shocks is the empty, empty page
while the final rattle rocks its empty, empty cage
and i can't handle this

i grieve for you
and you leave me




“Let me go.”


His mouth opened to deny it, but his eyes were already stinging, and he didn’t know why. His head hurt, and he couldn’t understand the feeling welling in his chest; it felt like someone was squeezing his insides, burning his gut and fucking with his mind. Bending over, hugging himself, Logan grunted in excruciating pain.

After a year of building and waiting, churning & festering…finally his grief found release, a first stinging-hot tear breaking free from his eyes…


“…let it out and move on
missing what's gone
they say life carries on
they say life carries on and on and on…




From the threshold Ororo could hear his sobs, which racked his body almost violently in their intensity. Her own eyes brimmed as she struggled to keep her composure, coming into the room to sink down to the floor beside him. Wrapping her arms around his shoulders, she drew him to her bosom, and he came, tightly hugging her waist, his face buried in her clothes as he cried.

She stroked his tussled dark hair, whispering soothingly to him Over and over. Speaking from the difficult experience of a daughter’s love for her father, she murmured, “She loved you, Logan. She always will. Nothing can change that. Ever.”

Through his sobs she barely heard him respond, “I...I n-never wanted to hurt her…”

“I know. I know.” She gulped, unable to continue. Ororo found out that the very thing that made Logan”and Wolverine”who they are, a defining trait of the man who was also James Howlett, had in fact, been the very reason his daughter died.

It was his healing factor.

Inherited from her father’s DNA, some sick, twisted turn of fate & circumstance in little Amahra saw her father’s ‘gift’ turn against her own body, very much like Logan’s had when he was a young child. The only difference was, as Jimmy Howlett had been able to overcome his unexplained childhood illness, Amahra’s body, in a vain effort to “fight off” Jean’s DNA”which it took as foreign agents” had actually resulted in her body’s internal war as half of her ‘rejected’ its counterpart. Leading to her death.

For him, it was difficult enough dealing with his troubled past, his transgressions & failures, and his own feelings toward his mutation, knowing he’d likely outlive anyone he loved, but when Logan found out from the doctors the reason his little girl seemed to only get sicker with no reprieve, he couldn’t take it.

It broke him.

Along with the rift in his psyche at Jean’s hands, initiated by Dept. H, it was no wonder he’d suffered a mental break. It was no wonder Wolverine seized the opportunity to try to take over again. It was pure survival. It was what he’d been trained to do…


Closing her eyes against the memory of Jean’s explanation, Ororo didn’t fight her own tears any longer, gently pressing her lips against the top of his messy head, never complaining once as his full weight nearly bruised her to the bone, and just sat there, holding on to him as Logan clung to her for dear life.



“…did i dream this belief?
or did i believe this dream?
now i can find relief

i grieve”




TBC…
Summer Moved On, Pt. 2 by Echo
Summary: Though Ororo & Logan are far from over, their road back to each other proves long & hard as she just helped him begin to cope w/ his crisis and finds herself embroiled in one of her own; Section X’s Maverick & Ackens aren’t quite done w/ Col. Howlett yet; things take a turn for the worst in Genosha.


A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #25 “Summer Moved On, pt. 2”


Brooklyn, NY
Saturday, August 15th 2004
12:47a.m.


They’d gotten there around 8p.m. Friday night, after quite a bit of back-and-forth ‘debate’. He was fighting his guilt more than he was actually fighting her, and she wasn’t about to leave him alone again, even though her feelings for him were nothing short of a royal mess.

When Ororo opened the front door to her brownstone, she breathed in deeply, feeling a little of the edge leave her at being back ‘home’. Mindful of her guest, she stepped aside and turned back to him, waiting for him to cross the threshold.

Outwardly, Logan seemed reserved and almost calm, but inwardly he was still quite a wreck. A point he tried to convey to Ororo several times in that he thought the last thing they should do is be alone together as he was in his present state of mind. She tried to dismiss his concern, but he could tell she was just as worried as he.

After he finally followed her inside, she immediately dropped her purse & keys on the table beside one of the couches in the spacious living room, and turned to him, taking his hand and leading him to the soft cushions.

There she sat, pulling on his hand until he sank down onto the sofa beside her. They just sat side by side for nearly half an hour, as Logan warred w/ himself internally, until she heard him take a deep breath. His shoulders sagged a little, and as she moved her hands out of her lap, he leaned over and rested his troubled head there, his muscular arms hugging her knees as they pillowed his chin.

He didn’t say anything. Neither did she.

They stayed in that exact position for the next few hours. Now, almost 1a.m., the only movement between them was the slow, methodical stroke of her hand through his messy hair, as Ororo leaned against the back of the couch, staring off into space. Below her, Logan seemed to sleep but a little fitfully, his forehead creased and his breath shallow. She didn’t doubt it was probably the first time he’d slept in nearly a week.

In the silence of the dimly lit brownstone, she tried not to think back on the previous day’s events, but found it impossible. Her thoughts initially strayed to Dr. Grey”Jean, she’d insisted to be called. Their meeting was the most unusual First Impression Ororo could remember, aside from the one with Logan himself. She couldn’t believe it but by the time they parted ways Ororo felt as though she’d almost made a friend.

Shaking her head in disbelief she would never imagine thinking something along those lines prior to actually sitting down w/ the woman. Maybe it was Jean’s openness, maybe it was her telepathy…or perhaps the look in her eyes as she spoke of the love she’d had for Logan, that he’d tried to return but ultimately couldn’t. That thought brought a sobering feeling to Ro’s heart as she finally allowed herself to admit that maybe she’d been foolish as well in her belief that her own relationship w/ him could’ve worked…

An urgent series of knocks at her door interrupted that train of thought, and her head immediately turned toward the front foyer, as Logan’s body jerked in her lap and he sat up alert. They looked at each other with the same thought of who in the heck that could be so late, but didn’t have to wonder long.

“Ma’am, open up,” Came from the other side as the knocking renewed, followed by: “Colonel, we know you’re in there.”

Before Logan could stop her, Ororo was up from the couch & heading toward the door, her expression one of guarded curiosity beginning to mix with agitation as she mumbled something to herself. At that exact moment, the downstairs phone began to ring”a startlingly loud sound in the quiet late night atmosphere, even despite the growing noise of the knocking.

Ignoring the phone, knowing the answering machine would pick it up, Ro laid a hand on the front door. “Excuse me, but who--??”

“Ro, wait.” Logan called as he was heading toward her, past the digital phone that was still ringing; he didn’t notice just as she had not that there were already several missed messages indicated by the blood red LED on the base of the phone.

His warning came too late, as she’d already peered through the door’s peephole to see men dressed in black trench coats”one holding up some form of ID to the door”and decided to open it.

When the brownstone’s door swung open, Chris Maverick wasn’t expecting the gorgeous face that greeted him, although he’d seen enough of the intel on Logan’s ‘latest fling’ and knew enough of the man that he shouldn’t have been surprised. The hottest chicks always seemed drawn to the Canuck and he never understood why.

“”are you?” Ororo finished her query, staring at the man as he flipped the badge closed again and shoved it into his coat before she could see its credentials. The cool light blue eyes raked over her in a way that was going to get him slapped if he kept it up.

Dragging his gaze away from her to Logan who appeared behind her, he answered, “Col. Howlett you’re coming with us.”

Ororo’s head cocked at the way the man said that”not to mention his complete ignorance of her question. It was on her lips to tell him something scathing when she felt Logan’s hand on her arm. He gently pushed her back behind him, putting some distance between her & the men staring at him as if they anticipated trouble.

“What the hell’re you doin’ here?” There was more in that question than Logan was going to admit, but Maverick could hear It loud & clear; besides the obvious intrusion, showing up at a civilian’s door w/ Section X agents was a bad idea, at best. He didn’t want to have to explain any of this to Ro, for various reasons…

“I was just going to ask you the same thing, Col.” Maverick shot back, glancing back at Ororo again. “I thought it was made clear upon your release that”“

“Logan, who are these men?” She couldn’t have picked a worse time to interrupt.

“Colonel..?” Maverick barely kept the smirk off his lips as he looked Howlett dead in the eyes, daring him to speak the truth, which it was evident she didn’t know.

Logan turned back to Ro, his expression a mixture of emotions. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have brought this to yer door, darlin.”

“What..?”

Before Logan could go on, Maverick sighed with a little exasperation, and gestured to the men behind him. “Excuse me, this is USMC business, ma’am. The Colonel needs to come with us. Now.”

Growling at the way Chris’ tone had turned, Logan gave him a look, but then turned back to Ororo, pressing her back out of the doorway for an illusion of privacy as he answered her trailed off question & confused look. “I gotta go.”

She held onto his arm to keep him from moving. “You’re in no condition to go back to work, Logan. You need rest. You need to speak w/ someone”“


“It’s alright.” He reached up and briefly touched her cheek, but then withdrew his hand, remembering their audience. “I’ll be fine.”

She clearly had her doubts about that but could see his mind was made up as he turned away & stepped toward the men waiting impatiently on the other side of the door. She watched without another word as Logan didn’t address them, walking past and down the steps of the brownstone toward the waiting dark Suburbans at the curb. The man who’d spoken to them watched Logan for a moment, some sort of silent communication radiating between the two men, before he turned back to look at her once more. She arched a brow a the ‘familiar’ way he appraised her--and the half-smirk that ghosted across his face--before he turned on his heel & stepped down after them.

Feeling lost, she stayed at the entrance as one of the men opened the SUV’s door, waiting for Logan to climb into the back of the 2nd car. As if he could sense her concern the Col. paused before getting in, looking back up to the house to give her a look; his eyes seemed to say what his voice hadn’t been given the chance to before they were so rudely interrupted: Thank You.

As the ‘government’ agents soundly closed car doors & the SUVs roared to life, moving away from the curb, Ororo finally retreated back into her home, more confused than ever. She just realized she had no idea who the hell the men were; it was obvious Logan knew them, so she’d assumed they were from his work, but why they’d come to her home”hell, how had they known where she lived??

That startling thought gave her pause, as she leaned against the door with her head angled back and face turned up to the ceiling. Just what sort of work was Logan into? She knew it was military, but assumed when he’d said he was a Marine that that was it. Now, her thoughts were swimming as she mentally recalled every snippet of info she’d picked up about his life, his career…his past. She’d always felt like there was something he was just holding back about his job, but in light of the other secret he’d keep from her, it had”understandably”been pushed into the recesses of her mind. Until now.

What else is he hiding from you?

Jumping before her mind could entertain an answer, Ororo heard the phone begin to ring again. Remembering someone had rang a while prior, she stepped away from the door after securing the lock, and walked over to the table where the digital cordless was. She glanced at the LED to see she had 6 messages waiting with urgency as the number flashed. Ignoring them, she picked up the ringing handset and connected the line, wondering who would be calling her this time of night.

“Hello??”

“Ororo..! Good God, I’ve been trying to reach you! Where have you been? You weren’t answering your cell, the home line kept going to the machine, Mrs. Duvahl said you left the Hamptons early Friday”“

“Ok okay, goodness Erik, I’m sorry, it’s just”“

“Never mind, never mind…(sigh)…Ororo, are you sitting down?”

The sudden quiet in his voice--tempered & slightly stilted as if it was the beginning of a speech he’s practiced for a while--gave her pause and Ororo’s heart suddenly skipped a beat. Leaning against the wall beside the table, she answered, “Erik, what’s going on? Why were you trying to reach me?”

“…Ororo, it’s Charles.”

“W-what?”

“…”

ERIK?!” Her voice rose in fear and sorrow as she gripped the phone in her hands, which immediately started shaking with her voice.

“…Ororo, your father is”“


---


Down the road, heading away from the brownstone, 3 unmarked Suburbans speed away. In the 2nd, Chris Maverick sits back almost languidly, his arm across the back of the seat as he stares at Logan, who sits across from him in the limo-styled rear compartment. They haven’t said a word since leaving Ororo’s home; Logan stares out of the bullet & shatterproof tinted window, his mind obviously elsewhere. The 3 agents”two beside Maverick & the other beside Logan”appeared relaxed, but the truth of the matter was they were each ready to bring The Wolverine down should he attempt to escape. Not an easy task, but one that Logan wasn’t fool enough to assume Section X had not planned for the moment they’d hired him.

He could fairly smell the psionic power radiating off at least two of them and the sheer size of the 3rd was an obvious indicator to his power. If they couldn’t bring Logan down by might, a quick and lethal mental assault was sure to do the job. Hell, he was sure everything in his file pointed them toward that conclusion; after all, what the strongest & most vicious mutants & soldiers on Earth couldn’t do, a powerful enough Telepath with ‘good intentions’ had almost managed by accident…

“So, are you gonna tell me what the hell you were thinking?”

Logan didn’t turn away from the window, his fist supporting his chin as the dimmed night lights struggled to play against his face from outside, through the dark tinting.

When he didn’t receive an answer, Chris continued, “I mean seriously, you of all people should know when an agent has been taken off the field pending a review, you’re supposed to stay confined to house arrest. Personally I thought it was a bad idea to let you out under R.O.R.*, even with satellite surveillance. We took enough of a chance just because this is you we’re talking about. Then you go & do something idiotic like this?”

Logan remained silent and unmoved, his eyes growing hard the only indication the other man was testing his patience.

“And for what?” Chris challenged, raising a shoulder in mock confusion, “a late night fu”“

“Y’know Chris, there ain’t many things a man like me can honestly say he regrets in life. And it’s been a long life. But right now, I can’t think of nothing I do regret more, than that it wasn’t you in that training exercise.” The quiet tone and dead seriousness of Logan’s words threatened to bring the Captain up short. He was still looking outside, continuing: “If I were you, the next time you think about bringing the subject of Her up to me again…I’d remember that.”

The 3 other agents all exchanged looks; only one dared to glance at Maverick, who they were sure also heard the chilling tone behind the Col.’s cryptic warning. They were immediately unsure who was making that threat against the Captain; Logan, or Wolverine



Somewhere Over the Atlantic Ocean
Monday, August 17th 2004
12:30a.m.


The hum of the plane’s engines provided suitable backdrop to help drown out her surroundings. The Xavier private jet”nothing anyone could place in terms of technology”was making its last flight back home to New York State. The passenger manifest was small for a plane this size”less than 15 people total, including the 2-man flight crew.

Inside the passenger hold, Marie, Elizabeth, Brian and Kurt sat toward the front rows, their quiet conversations muffled. Daring a glance behind him, Brian turned back to his sister and lightly touched Beth’s arm to channel her telepathic ability.*Is she alright?*

Keeping her sight trained on the three around her, Beth’s shoulder rose just slightly and she shook her head barely before meeting Brian’s concerned gaze. *I don’t know, Brian. She won’t respond to me. It’s still so soon…*

He gripped his sister’s hand, ‘hearing’ her mental voice break before finishing her sentence. The blood bond between them was enough; he could physically feel her sorrow and it matched his own, but Brian Braddock Xavier kept a stiff upper lip, if only to be the rock he thought his sisters needed him to be.

*Hank’s with her. He’ll know what to do.*

In the back of the passenger section, Henry sat with his Mac laptop across his lap, a word document open but the page blank as he tried to sift through his emotions and put a statement together. Beside him in the window seat, his sister stared out into the dark night as clouds passed. There was nothing to look at except the black water beneath them, but he was positive it wasn’t the view that had her so quiet and captivated.

Ororo’s eyes were glazed over and still red rimmed; she hadn’t gotten any sleep in a couple days now and the double jetlag wasn’t helping that situation. In her lap, her trembling fingers squeezed a crumpled kerchief that belonged to Erik, borrowed many hours before, when she’d still been in Genosha. Her eyes fluttered closed briefly as she took a deep sigh, and choked back grief…




Earlier Saturday, 7p.m. Genosha Time…

As the hours grew, so did the crowds outside Hammer Bay Memorial hospital, until eventually the city police”aided by U.N. Peacekeepers”had to be called to keep the crowd under control. The throngs of people weren’t unruly, necessarily, but the sheer numbers had officials worried of the impending reaction.

Inside, a small section of the ICU wing was closed off, guarded by armed soldiers. The hospital’s staff glanced at them occasionally, a little unnerved by the stoic men with their eyes shielded and padded with bulletproof vests, gripping rifles”but tried to go about their duties as if a normal day.

Walking back toward the closed wing, Capt. Ward’s weary eyes met contact with his men, several of whom had been transferred to hospital detail with him. He realized some of them had as much attachment to the old man as he had developed in the short time they’d known him; a strange thing for a soldier who spent his life staying at an arm’s distance from everyone, every job. For some reason, this time was different.

“Captain.”

He nodded to his Lt., who was posted only a few yards away from the private ICU room. The other man had to know there was no real reason for Ward to be there, but neither man said anything more, as they just stood across from each other; a silent vigil.

Inside the room…

Screens flashed, the mechanical ventilator expanded and collapsed rhythmically, the heart rate monitor sent its findings dutifully to the hospital staff watching his every movement. Laying quite still on the cushioned bed, feeling chained to the apparatuses keeping him alive, Charles’s eyes remained closed most of the time, his shallow breathing around the intubation tube the only ‘natural’ sound in the room at the moment.

He wasn’t alone, however. Erik stood at the window of the 4th floor room, looking down at the crowded city streets below. Two chairs drawn up to the bedside, his 5 present children took turns sitting, holding his warm but clammy fingers and sending their thoughts and love to him, visibly and telepathically. It was, for the most part, a one-sided ‘conversation’, as Charles’ strength ebbed. He was unable to speak due to the tube assisting his breathing, but his energy level kept all but the most urgent telepathic exchanges at a minimum.

Besides, he seemed to save what was left of his strength for one conversation, in particular.

Leaning over his sister’s head, Brian squeezed Beth’s shoulder as she sat in front of him in the chair. Kurt was across from her in the other chair, Marie kneeling beside him as she held her father’s hand. The leather of her gloves kept them apart, always, and it stung not so much as it did just now.

Behind them all, standing partially in the doorframe, Henry adjusted his specs as he took a look at his father’s chart. He and the attending physician murmured quietly; ‘doctor-talk’ that”for the most part”went over the others’ comprehension. They knew he’d make sense of it for them later, anyway.

Pulling the ambassador’s son out of the door a little more, the doctor glanced toward the others briefly before whispering, “Dr. McCoy, I’m sorry but I’m not sure how much longer he can hold on. At this point, it may be in the family’s best interest”and those of your father’s”to consider quality of life options.”

For several moments, Hank didn’t respond, turning to look back inside the room and catching sight of Marie’s sorry attempt to keep mournful tears at bay. Her head bobbed, nodding occasionally, and it was a tell-tale signal that the prostrate Xavier was communing with his youngest child. Swallowing several times before quickly and quietly clearing his throat, Henry turned his dark blue gaze back to the physician. “Trust me doctor, when I tell you no one understands as the six of us here, how much pain my father is enduring at this very instant. His telepathy is unwittingly merging into empathic echoes radiating from his mind.”
At the other doctor’s alarmed look, Hank raised a hand briefly before cutting off his concern. “Don’t worry; the only one’s who’ll feel it are those closest to him. Even in his state, Charles Xavier is the most powerful telepathic mind on the planet. If he thought for an instant his abilities would harm the public…”

The doctor’s eyes softened when Hank’s voice faltered at the end of his sentence. After a few awkward moments, the other man laid a hand on Henry’s arm in condolence. “Your father is a great man. I’m so sorry this has happened to him.”

Hank nodded quickly, uncomfortable in the presence of the man’s sympathy and his own grief, which threatened to spill over.

“You understand, as his attending physician, at this point I’m only concerned about the ambassador’s comfort. He’s suffering needlessly”“

“No. Not needlessly.” Hand interrupted, more forceful than he intended, and his face showed it for a brief moment before he lowered his voice, looking down the empty hall of the ICU. “He’s waiting”“

“Waiting?? What do you mean? For what?”

Hearing his father’s weakened mental voice echo him, Hank whispered, “For as long as he has to.”




More than 15 miles away, racing through Hammer Bay city streets at break-neck speeds, the police car was on a beeline for Memorial. Bucking and rolling with the car’s inertia, it wasn’t fast enough for its frantic back seat passenger.

“Please, can you hurry??”

The officer in the driver’s seat exchanged looks with his partner riding shotgun before glancing in the rearview mirror at their distraught charge. What the hell was this lady thinking? He was already doing 80 on city streets! “Ma’am, we’re not far. Another 10-15 minutes, tops”oh, shit!!”

His expletive was followed by the sounds of the cruiser’s tires trying to gain traction as he put his defensive driving skills to the test in order to avoid another motorist. Yelling at the unaware driver futilely, the officer quickly composed himself before addressing the backseat again (though he kept his eyes on the road). “Don’t worry. We’ll get you there.”

Hardly able to sit back against the cushion of the seat, Ororo’s expression seemed to think otherwise, but she kept any further comment to herself. She figured herself nothing but a distraction to them anyway, and knew her repeated ‘Are We There Yet?’s certainly were no help. Staring hard out of the window as the streets flew by, she whispered tightly, “I’m sorry…” before her voice broke.

Like two chastised children, the officers hung their heads a little, realizing she was probably catching on quickly to what they already feared; they weren’t going to make it.

Eyes narrowing in determination, the officer behind the wheel pressed his foot harder into the floor, the V8 engine beneath the hood of his cruiser roaring over the siren as he approached 90 mph, blowing through the traffic as it obediently parted like the red sea.




At That Moment, Thousands of Miles Away...

It was just after 10a.m. CST, somewhere in the deserts of Texas. The southern state was unusually warm”even for this time of year”and already the day was set to break humidity records in several cities.

Deep underground in one of Section X’s training facilities, General Jason Ackens rode the silent, smooth lift to the conference floor, where all of the offices were. He’d been stationed on the secret base for a few days now, but still had a difficult time remembering where his temporary office was. Grumbling to himself as he realized he was headed to the wrong floor, his punched the next floor up on the panel, inwardly shaking his head. Somewhere deep down, he knew his brain ‘fart’ was due in no small part to the meeting he had scheduled this morning. It was long overdue, but nonetheless one he wasn’t relishing at all.

“Took ya long enough, Jase.” Moments later that gruff voice met his ears as he closed the heavy door behind him. Glancing toward the head of the long conference table, Ackens took an extra couple seconds before he met Logan’s eyes.

“Too many damn floors in this place.”

That did elicit a sort of grating chuckle from the seasoned soldier, though it didn’t quite reach his eyes as they locked onto his superior’s frame. There was something different about him, oh yes, Ackens could see it too; Maverick was right. The hackles on his neck bristled as Logan’s eyes followed his progress into the room like a predator tracking already-wounded prey.

That feeling made the General draw up short of Logan’s position, keeping his eyes on the other man carefully. He fingered the folder of psych tests pressed firmly inside his arm; a battery of examinations the agency insisted Logan pass before being allowed back into the fold of active duty. What surprised Ackens wasn’t so much that Howlett had passed every one, but that he’d not put up a fight at the mere mention of tests. Hell, in fact, he almost seemed to look forward to it.

As if reading the General’s mind, Logan gave him a twisted and slightly scary lopsided grin. “So? I pass, ‘er what?” It barely seemed a query.

“As a matter of fact, yes. But I have one more question Logan, before you’re put back on this assignment.” Ackens watched him closely.

Puffing on a stub of a Cuban”highly against Regs, but this was Logan we’re talking about”the soldier’s silver eyes took on the amber light of the cigar in the dimmed room as he kept watching the General with that same dangerous glare.

When Logan didn’t respond, Ackens let the folder smack against the hard table top beside them, some of the test results sliding out of the side of the tan-colored sleeve. “Why the hell’d you agree to come back?”

For several seconds, Logan watched Ackens with a narrowed gaze, as if he were having a silent conversation Jason wasn’t privy too, but should’ve been. Then, very deliberately, he raised one leg, digging his booted foot into the cushion of the executive leather chair closest to him, propping his elbow on the bended knee as he removed the cigar to speak. His eyes were penetrating shards of steel as they pierced the General in the semi-darkness. “What’s the matter, bub? ‘Fraid I’m holdin’ a grudge?”

Clearly agitated by the taunting tone, Ackens nonetheless hesitated before speaking, choosing his words carefully. The room may’ve been monitored, but he did choose to enter alone, and no one would be quick enough to save his ass if Logan tried something stupid. “Colonel”Logan”what happened during that training…if it hadn’a come to light, yer career ending here was gonna be the least of ya worries, son. Now, I ain’t gonna sit here and claim I was in agreement with Maverick’s methods”and believe me, the Tribunal prob’ly ain’t done with him yet”but we both know sometimes, the ends have to justify the means.”

“Yeah?” Logan puffed on the cigar; it lit his face momentarily just long enough Jason could see his expression and clearly read the ‘Bullshit!’ that was written there. Chewing on the cigar’s end, he took a second, glancing down at the tests before looking back at Ackens. Quietly he intoned, “I’ll remember you said that, then.”

As Logan’s foot dropped to the floor and he looked ready to leave, the general’s voice stopped his progress. “Look, Logan…fer what it’s worth”I do wish we’d a-done things a little different. But that’s in the past. Right now, we need The Wolverine in top shape t’ find Victor and bring ‘im in. Y’understand?”

Flipping through the medical report pages nonchalantly, Logan looked up to Jason, hesitated, then let the pages fall back to the table. Stepping up close to his superior, close enough the General could hear the low, rumbling growl from his chest, Howlett’s voice ground out from behind clenched teeth. “Oh, I understand, Jase. You mother fuckers wanted The Wolverine back, at any cost. Well, congratulations, General. You got him.”

The quickened sound of the older man’s heartbeat was satisfaction enough”for the time being”and so Logan moved past him toward the door. As he laid a hand on the heavy exit, he threw over his shoulder: “I hope it was worth it.”


For several moments, General Jason Ackens stayed rooted in his place, unable to move, as he watched the spot Logan last stood. The look the soldier graced him with prior to exiting the door, sent the coldest chill down his spine. He knew the recalculated ‘precautions’ they’d put into place to rein Logan in had been worth every “re-directed” tax dollar, judging by the way he’d just looked at him.

Slowly sliding the loose papers of the medical reports back into the folder, he stopped at one of the last items”a small 4 x 5 black and white intel photo of Logan smiling at an attractive dark-skinned, white-haired woman on the back of his Harley. The photo had been taken at a distance, the two blissfully unaware they were being watched. For a brief moment, Ackens stared at it with a complete lack of emotion, before sliding it silently back into the folder with the rest of James Howlett’s psyche.

“Hell, son. Me too.”



To Be Continued…


*R.o.R.: Release on own recognizance
Summer Moved On, Pt. 3 by Echo
Summary: The beginning of the end…

Song Credit:My Father” [adapted from “My Mother”, written by Ross Bagdasarian (cos I have to credit SOMEbody lol)]


A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #26 “Summer Moved On, pt. 3”



(Still) Somewhere Over the Atlantic Ocean
Monday, August 17th 2004
12:40a.m.


Only mere minutes had passed, but to Ororo it felt like each was its own eternity. The sounds of air-flight, her family’s hushed conversations rows ahead of her, nor the light tapping of the keys on Henry’s laptop broke her mind’s concentration, as her fractured thoughts kept returning to Genosha, hours ago that felt like years that felt like now…


A Couple Days ago, back at Hammer Bay Memorial, it seemed to take forever to get within sight of the large hospital. The crowds of people”some homo sapiens, most homo superiors”weren’t quick to back out of the road to allow the single police cruiser to pass and near the hospital’s garage.

Inside, the cops tried to keep their cools, alternating between the horn, their alert siren and the loudspeaker to try to clear a path. In the rear cab, Ororo was pressed against the side of the window, trying to see”see what, even she wasn’t sure. In her chest, she felt a hand squeeze her heart to the point it could’ve stopped beating. Her eyes grew heavy with unshed tears, and as she fought for control of her emotions, so the skies began to grey…


Inside the hospital, in the ICU ward, a bed-ridden figure turned his head to the window, looking past the concerned visage of his life long friend, outside into the dark skies. After a moment, his eyes fluttered closed, and he took a deep breath. His body was giving up though his mind still fought the inevitable. With what was left of his strength, Charles reached out to his child, to soothe her fears, which even now he could feel.

Several blocks away, Ororo’s mind caught the fleeting wisp of her father’s astral presence, and without hesitation welcomed him in. She couldn’t hide the chastising thought that he shouldn’t waste his energy, but at the same time she was so glad to feel him near she didn’t dare hide it. The love and warmth that filled both their hearts washed away weeks of guilt, worry, regret…anger. She wanted to apologize, to tell him how childish she’d behaved and how sorry she was, but Charles wouldn’t let her. He hugged her mind as tightly as he ever did her body; a father’s love and understanding clearing the path between them that had been littered with the ghosts of Cairo. It was that feeling of love that finally”completely”made Ororo understand why he’d done what he had, and also accept that if given the choice all over, he’d do so again.

It was the first time she really understood what he had all along”that is, how far a parent’s love will go. He didn’t want her to apologize any more than he planned to himself. Charles realized Ororo couldn’t help the way she’d reacted any more so than he could his decision made years before. He allowed her”and only her”to see as he had and feel what he’d felt, trying to calm the fears of the traumatized little African princess. The sorrow in his heart as she’d descended into a psychological black hole that no amount of traditional therapy of the times could hope to conquer.

It was the first time Ororo began to see what her father did as he truly meant it to be: a gift. The 2nd chance his love was sure she deserved. After all, it was the actions of a father that gave her the life she now had, the family she so cherished. In the wake of how her life evolved, didn’t that justify everything? Shouldn’t it?

Drawing away from her mentally for a brief moment, Charles waited for her response. Overwhelmed, Ororo couldn’t formulate a coherent thought for several seconds, fighting her conflicting emotions as well as newly emerged memories of her life before she met Charles Xavier. How might things have been different for her if she’d remained in Kenya? Would she even be alive?

That thought immediately”and unbidden”brought an image of Logan to her mind’s eye. The merc-for-hire-turned-military-man was just as responsible for her new life as her father was. She still couldn’t begin to place his reasons in those events, but did it matter?

She felt Charles smile, trying in some vain to hold back a father’s pride at realizing his little girl is ‘all grown up’ as well as a pang of protectiveness. Her thoughts of Logan told him enough to know she deeply cared for the man, and at this point, he was ready to relinquish the fact his daughter’s happiness was all that mattered to him. If that was with James Howlett…

She stopped him before he went any father with that thought, pushing her thoughts of Logan from them to focus on them only. She couldn’t help but wonder why he was coming to her like this. She was so close, and he was using so much energy to reach past his body out to her mind.

‘Some things, dearest one, just won’t wait…’

His thoughts echoed in her mind for several more seconds, stopping Ororo’s thoughts before a swell of panic washed over her. She tried to reach out to Charles then, as if holding on to his astral form would somehow stop the inevitable.

Blinking rapidly, Ororo found herself outside the police cruiser, as the cops abandoned the futile attempt to drive up to the hospital. Pressing her through the crowds, the two officers acted as her shield against the throngs of people, but nothing could block her heart from its sorrow. ‘No, Abu*…please..!’

Upstairs in the ICU, Charles turned his head to look up at Erik, smiling tiredly. His friend could tell he’d finally been able to do the one last thing his mind had to be strong enough to keep his body alive for. Squeezing the hands of his children before him, Charles opened his heart to them and they never knew such love as they did from their father.

Just down the hall, the two cops ushered Ororo toward the ICU. ‘Abu!! Please, don’t leave me!’ Her thoughts cried out and a sob escaped her lips.

‘It’s alright, my little kibibi**. Don’t worry…everything, you’ll see. It’ll all work itself out…You’ll see…’

‘Just like that?’ She tried to keep his mind engaged, thinking, active. ‘Just like magic, Tego-bwana..?’

A broken chuckle rattled from the ambassador’s pale lips as a single tear escaped the corner of his ghostly blue eyes. The sight faded from them quickly, but still he smiled, feeling the return of his family’s love fill his heart, mind and soul.

By the time Ororo rounded the corner into the room, her father was gone.




Today, August 17th

A stinging tear ran down Ororo’s face as she sat turned toward the window of the jet. She closed her reddened eyes against the small blinking lights of the city’s horizon. They were almost home.

‘Home.’ She repeated to herself with no humor. Before, she always considered New York just that, but now, without her father..?

“Excuse me.” She murmured, pressing past Hank as he put the finishing touches on the press statement the family agreed he should write in response to the media inquiries surrounding their father’s death. He watched her pass by into the aisle and toward the back of the jet, disappearing into the cargo hold. He debated whether or not he should follow, but then decided it best not to. When he turned back in his seat, he was met with four pairs of concerned and quizzical gazes, to which he could only shake his head, before trying in vain to return to his speech.


Down in the cargo hold…
The engines of the jet seemed even quieter here than in the passenger section, if possible. Ororo knew the alien-augmented technology of the plane was responsible for that. Almost casually, she looked around the dimly lit area, filled with the ‘inner workings’ of the jet, a cargo cage and tied down in the very rear of the vessel, the dark ebony casket of former Ambassador Charles Francis Xavier.


It’s hard to remember,
A summer, or winter,
When he hadn’t been there for me.

A friend and companion,
I could always depend on,
My father,
That’s who I need.



Unable to take her eyes from the closed object, Ororo came to a sitting position right beside it, her legs folded beneath her, as she laid one hand on its cool surface gingerly. She tried to ignore her trembling limbs, but it was no use. Shaking her head, she bit down on her bottom lip as a fresh wave of grief nearly crushed her.


I’ve taken, for granted,
The seeds that he planted,
He’s always behind, everything.

A teacher, a seeker,
A both arms out-reacher
My father,
That’s who I need.



A shaky brown hand closed tightly in a fist, and Ororo reached up to wipe angrily at her face. The simple, brutal truth was that none of this was fair at all. In the last waning moments of her father’s life, he’d been robbed of her physical presence. Looking upwards as if for some answer, she realized somewhat belatedly and not without a little shame, that it wasn’t God’s ear she was searching for.



‘Wish I could slow down,
The hands, of time,
Keep things the way,
They were,

If he said so,
‘I would give him the world,
If I could…
I would.

‘My love and my laughter,
From here ever after,’
Is all that he said,
That he’d need.

My friend and companion,
I could always depend on,
My father,
That’s who I mean.

My father,
That’s who I need…



Lowering her head in defeat, Ororo closed her eyes, whispering to her dad in words only the two of them would understand. It wasn’t long before the tears did come again, and when they did, she just let them fall.



Salem Center, New York
Friday, August 21st 2004
4:47 p.m.


The large study at the academy was one of Charles’ favorite places. So much so that by the 2nd year of classes, Erik found himself helping his friend convert it into his de facto headmaster’s office. Xavier had also, on occasion, been known to conduct several of his classes there as well; along with several volumes of books of every type”perfect for reference during a lecture”he found many of his students loved the large windows hugging the circular walls of the study’s atrium-like appearance.

Erik sealed the last of Charles’ personal affects from his desk (left there by Sean when he’d taken over) in a cardboard box. He didn’t realize he must’ve been smiling sadly until he heard her voice.

“Erik?”

Looking up a little startled, the older man met Ororo’s gaze, hoping she couldn’t tell how tired he felt. “I’m sorry, what was it?”

She seemed hesitant to come into the room fully, her arms crossed tightly and looking around as though she expected something to jump out at her.

“Ororo?”

“I”I’m sorry, I just”anyway, most of the guests for the wake are coming through. Several of yours and dad’s mutual friends from college and the State Dept. have been asking about you.”

Coming to his feet feeling much older than Erik previously would’ve admitted, Lehnsherr left the packed box on the edge of the oak wood desk and met her at the door. “I’m sorry, I guess I let time get away from me. I didn’t realize it was so late.”

He’d taken several steps past her before Erik realized Ororo was still standing in the doorway to the study, staring inside. “Ororo?”

“Hm?”

“Are you coming, dear?” he watched her a little, concern evident.

Shaking the thoughts clouding her mind, Ororo nodded tightly, coming up beside him. Erik wrapped an arm about her shoulders, noticing she still kept her own arms crossed tightly. “Come on.” He whispered, and they headed back toward the main foyer, where most of the guests congregated.

Although several former students were present, most of the wake guests were people Ororo either didn’t recognize or hadn’t seen in quite some time. Many were political figures come to pay respects, unable to make it to the Saturday memorial service. The unfamiliarity of the people coming up to her to offer condolences soon began to wear thin on Ororo’s nerves, and she could play the dutiful daughter/hostess no longer, escaping to the courtyard behind the mansion-turned-school.

Smoothing her dark blue dress, she sat in a swing seat, letting her legs dangle as her feet came out of her shoes. She watched her toes grasp at the healthy green blades of grass; a futile effort through the sheer pantyhose.

“Penny for your thoughts?”

Her concentration broken, she glanced up to see Scott standing not far away, dressed in dark slacks and shirt, his ever-present tinted specs reflecting the waning afternoon light. “Scott. No offense, but I’d rather be alone right now.”

“I bet you would.” He said with a straight face, coming to stand beside her, then sit in the swing next to her. “But then what kind of friend would I be if I let you do that?”

The too-earnest way he said that almost made her smile, but Ororo’s foul mood wasn’t going down without a fight. “One that listens.”

“Ouch. I see the sharp wit is back. Can’t be long for the righteous indignation to follow.”

Her head snapped around to him, her brow arched and a retort ready on the lips when she caught sight of the twinkle behind his glasses, and it brought her up short. Scott pursed his lips to keep from smiling his triumph. A couple seconds passed before he glanced at her again, and angled his head toward the mansion.

“I guess you were getting tired of the political rally too, eh?”

Busted. Lifting a shoulder, she looked back down into the grass as if an excuse would sprout there as well. “That obvious?”

“Well, I saw when Erik introduced you to the British Prime Minister and you kept calling him ‘Colonel’. I wasn’t sure if you were just distracted or really hungry for some chicken.”

If it had been Scott’s intent to get a laugh out of her, he succeeded nicely with that quip, as Ororo’s voice rang out in the quiet late afternoon of the back yard. Slightly embarrassed at her treatment of a world figure”not to mention realizing why she kept calling the man “Colonel””she wiped the tears of laughter from the corners of her eyes, sobering enough to slide her tired but now relaxed gaze toward her companion. “You tell anyone, Scott Christopher Summers, and you’re a dead man.”

He just kept looking down between his feet now as well, but couldn’t hide the corners of his mouth as they curled upwards. “Wouldn’t dream of it, ‘Roro. Wouldn’t dream of it.”

Her eyes softened at the ancient nickname. “Wow.”

He looked up, puzzled. “What?”

“You haven’t called me that in…hell, 10 years.”

He seemed to have forgotten what he’d said already, but after a moment realized the name he let slip. She was both amused and surprised to see his cheeks color rose and he looked away briefly, clearing his throat. “Yeah. I know.”

“…Scott?”

“Mm?”

“Can I ask something of you?”

His eyes watched her from behind those glasses, obvious curiosity etched on his face as he nodded, waiting for her to continue.

“Well, see here’s the thing. Sean is probably going to leave the Institute soon. Before the new term starts next month. I guess since Hank is almost a certainty to assume the Ambassadorship, Moira’s going to need help continuing her research and I know the two go way back with dad and he’d want them to find a…a cure. Unfortunately, that leaves me an instructor short. Erik has promised he’ll be around to help out, but I happen to know for a fact 1) he hates to teach, and 2) he’ll be quite busy straightening out all of dad’s…”

“…”

“…all of dad’s affairs, so I’m going to be pretty much swamped when it comes to getting this place up and going. I’ve already roped Marie, Beth and Kurt into a subbing rotation until I can find a suitable replacement for Sean, but”well…”

“I’d be honored.” He said it quietly, and she could tell he meant it.

“Thanks.”

*Ororo?*

She jumped a little, but covered and shielded her feelings before answering. *Beth, what’s wrong?*

*Oh, I’m sorry, Luv. Did I startle you? Um, ye’ve got a visitor.*

Glancing toward Scott quickly, Ro turned away before their gazes met. Why was she suddenly feeling so guilty..? *Oh? Who--?*

*…She says her name is Dr. Grey, but you’ll know her by Jean?*


Only a few minutes later, Ororo and Scott reappeared via the back entrance. Many of the earlier guests had departed, but there was still quite a few people either visiting with the Xavier family in the library, or viewing Charles’ body in the sectioned off downstairs bedroom. When they came back to the large foyer, Ororo couldn’t hide her surprise to see the young doctor standing close to the front door, her knee-length skirt almost disappearing behind a dark duster. She appeared almost as uncomfortable as Ororo felt, but the two women seemed to take some comfort when their eyes met.

“Jean..?” Ororo didn’t have to ask the question, accepting her offered hug of condolence.

“When I heard the news earlier this week, I went by the Hampton estate, but uh, Mrs. Duvahl said you hadn’t been there in days, and gave me the address to the School. Ororo, I’m so sorry.”

Barely able to keep her composure, Charles’ daughter smiled a little, nodding and squeezing the doctor’s arm in reassurance. “Thank you Jean. That means a lot.”

“A-hem…”

Grinning a little forcefully, She almost rolled her eyes but contained herself, turning to the impatient man behind her. “I’m sorry, he’s wondering where my manners are.”

Jean hid a chuckle behind her fingers as she looked up into a pair of ruby-tinted glasses.

“Dr. Jean Grey, Capt. Scott Summers, USAF. Scott, Jean used to live right down the beach from the Hamptons estate. We ah…met through a mutual friend.” She finished carefully, as the two took the other’s hand and Scott held Jean’s between both his for a second before letting go, but kept giving her that trademarked Summer’s Smile. The red-head was a picture of composure, but inwardly she was melting.

“Ororo?” Sean tried to call her softly, standing in the door way to the small room just off the side of the stairs. He held a cordless telephone in his hand and motioned that it must be for her.

Puzzled, she excused herself, hoping Jean would be able to handle Scott on her own for a few moments, and took the handset from him. He left her in the small room for privacy, and she put the phone to her ear. “Hello?”

“Ororo?”

There was a little static on the line, but she couldn’t mistake his voice.

“T’Challa. How did you get the School’s number? It’s unlisted.”

Her brother laughed a little at her first remarks to him after they’d not spoken in such a while. He sobered quickly, however, after letting her know in no uncertain terms that an international diplomat ‘has his ways’. “Ororo, I just wanted to call you, and tell you how very sorry I am about Ch”a-about your father. I know he meant a lot to you.”

“Yes.” She answered, and then a little tighter, “of course he did. He was the only father I’ve ever known.”

There was an odd silence on the other end, before the Kenyan-Wakkandan Prince sighed audibly, and pressed on. “And I’m glad he was too, Sister.”

Biting her lip, Ororo picked at the hem of her dress before blurting, “I’m sorry, T’Challa you called to offer your condolences. I don’t mean to sound small or bitter in light of that. My father raised me better than that.”

“Well, we’re family; what’s a little eh, how do you say, uh, ‘ribbing’?”

She chuckled a little at that. “Yeah. I guess. But seriously. Thanks for calling. I really appreciate it.”

“I hope to see you soon, Sister. Please, if you need anything, you have my number still?”

“I do.”

“Don’t hesitate to use it.”

“I won’t.”



For Ororo the rest of that evening was a blur as she tried once again to play the appreciative daughter of the dead diplomat, when all she really wanted was for all the strangers to go away and leave Charles’ family and close friends to mourn in peace. By the time the School’s doors closed for the night, her father’s body had been taken to the funeral home where his remains would be cremated in preparation for the service the next afternoon, and the last guest had offered their condolences, she was exhausted.

The Xavier children decided to stay the night at the School”in their old rooms, no less”and the current students staying the summer were all too humbled to let them, realizing the older ones needed that memory of their first days at the Xavier Institute to feel connected to the man they’d just lost.

Ororo collapsed against the cool spread of her attic-room’s bed. She knew once she was running things officially”hell, she kind of was now”she wouldn’t stay in the Head Master’s wing. No, her old attic loft bedroom would do just fine.

Staring at the French doors leading to the night air, her eyes then drifted downward to rest on the quiet cell phone on her nightstand. No missed calls. No messages.

Her face contorted briefly, before she turned her back on the night and that phone. Of course she cried herself to sleep, but this night it wasn’t just from mourning her father.




Miles Away in Brooklyn, He’d been sitting outside the darkened brownstone for hours, just staring at the windows. It was the third night he’d been here, waiting. For her, of course, but he never knew what he’d say once he saw her. If he saw her. She hadn’t been back to the beach house estate either, but he hadn’t bothered asking the help if they knew anything.

Logan knew she must’ve been going through hell at the moment, and there was a large part of him that wanted to just fold her up in his arms and make that pain go away, but he knew even what little comfort he could offer wasn’t to last long.

“Hey, you gonna go up and knock this time? See if anyone’s home?”

A set of Adamantium-laced claws nearly shot out before the voice was recognized, and Logan turned his head in the driver’s seat window of the jet-black unmarked SUV to see Ben Campbell standing beside his vehicle. “Kid, yer either really stupid or…well really stupid, to sneak up on me like that.”

Ben laughed a little, not mistaking the pride that went with that remark. He had to rub it in, though. “Nah, you’re just getting up in years there, Colonel.”

A short guttural laugh was cut off as Logan shook his head. “Hm. No, you were just trained by the Best. But that still doesn’t answer the question what the fuck yer doin’ out here.”

“Wondering why you’ve been sitting out here for the past three nights, when you know she isn’t here.”

The look Logan gave Ben was more than a simple reminder of their respective ranks; the younger man could clearly read the Fuck Off stamped across the older man’s forehead, chose to ignore it. “Ben, this ain’t none ‘o yer business. Go home.”

“No.”

Logan’s wild brow shot up as he slowly turned his head to glare at Benjamin Campbell. For his part, the younger man stood his ground, hands still buried deep in his pockets.

“What the hell did you just say?”

“I said, ‘No’…sir.” Ben’s brown gaze met his superior officer’s, and they stared hard at each other. “Colonel, I guess you never wondered why I decided to stay under your command, after the whole training ‘accident’ and you nearly gutting me like a mackerel an’ all. God knows, you didn’t ask.”

Logan stayed silent, seething, watching Ben’s every move as the youth’s shoulders rose and fell as he seemed to war with himself on that very same topic.

“And I guess at this point it really doesn’t matter anymore. There’s a job to be done, and you asked for me again on your team. The General and Maverick came to me”just so you know”and asked if I could still work under your command.”

And..?” He bit out.

“Well, I’m here, ain’t I?” Ben looked up at him, then a lopsided grin pulled at his face for a brief moment. “Look, don’t be so damned shocked. What’d you expect me to act like after so many years under you??”

Logan actually stifled a laugh, turning away, but his head came back around and his eyes rested on Ben as the boy pulled out a yellow scrape piece of paper. “What’s that?”

“The address to the Memorial tomorrow. She’s burying him at that school he founded up state.”

Logan hesitated, but took the paper, only so he wouldn’t have to explain to Ben that he already knew the address to the Xavier Institute. “Ben”“

“Ah, don’t go all girly on me, Col.”

“Boy--!”

Ben chuckled at the exasperated tone, but stayed quiet.

Logan looked at the scribble address, then folded it carefully several times, as he spoke. “I’m not going to need this, Ben. I won’t be taking any trips upstate.”

“But”“

“Now shut the fuck up and get in the car, will ya? It’s late enough, and we’re shippin’ out 0400 Sunday. You youngsters are gonna need beauty rest and all that shit.”

Ben’s face fell visibly at the detached tone coming form Logan, but he tightened his lip, glancing only once back at the darkened brownstone before jogging around to the passenger side door and hopping in.

Logan did a dangerously close U-Turn on the street, barely missing three cars as he sped away from the curb and the deserted brownstone apartment.



To Be Continued…



A/N: Dedicated to everyone who’s ever lost someone and never got to say goodbye.


*Abu means DAD in Swahili
** kibibi means PRINCESS in Swahili

---

NEXT?
"Why didn't Jean/Ororo mention Logan?"
A: You'll find out.

"Why did Logan go back to Section X? After the way they treated him??"
A: 'Cos payback's a be-yotch.

"Is Scott sticking around for good?"
A:We'll see.

"Is Logan REALLY going to leave w/o saying goodbye??"
A:Hell if I know (actually, i do lol)

"Did you seriously use a song off the Chipmunks OST??"
A: Shut up & just read it ;o)
Summer Moved On, Pt. 4 by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #27 “Summer Moved On, pt. 4”



Salem Center, New York
Saturday, August 22nd 2004
4:53pm EST



“There is some comfort in dying surrounded by one's children..” “ Ann Radcliffe




Her voice carried over the gathered crowd in the neatly kept gardens of the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning. The memorial service for the man widely considered the greatest mutant mind of the planet was small in comparison to the waves of mournful Genoshans that still paid their respects outside the hospital where he died, or the numerous political dignitaries that graced his school the day before. No, now Charles was remembered, grieved and above all”Loved”by those he would have considered friends and family.

His daughter Ororo stood beside the black obelisk specially commissioned for the renamed Xavier Memorial Garden. An artist’s rendition”Peter’s actually”was beautifully etched into the glossy stone; a ¾ view of Charles taken from a referenced photograph. The former Ambassador’s face seems to gaze up into the clear heavens, now a bright azure above them today, searching for the peace that he struggled so hard to bring to man.

Gazing at the amazing likeness, Ororo smiled wistfully, laying a hand on the cool rock as she turned back to the gathered students”young and older. “Here in the Memorial Garden, a flame of hope will burn always, to signify the struggle my father left to us to continue in his stead. The words my father lived by”so eloquently stated by one of his favorite authors”will weather the elements, visible for as long as this monument stands, to remind us all of what he stood for and what we now still stand to achieve. Let the words so deeply etched across this obelisk give us all hope, that one day the trials of the entire human race will bring us together in a common goal to end the threat of disease, poverty and hate…”

Bending to the as-yet unlit metal candleholder, Ororo struck the long match, lighting the bright blue flame fed by underground pipes Henry and Kurt orchestrated. From memory, she repeated the oft-heard quote Charles was famous for reciting to his students and children alike: “People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously…” Standing, she turned back to the gathering, wiping a tear from her cheek but smiling through her grief. “This is how my father chose to live his life…’This is how character is built.’”*

Moved by their emotions and her words, several of the currently enrolled students can’t help but openly weep as the flame catches the breeze of the gardens but doesn’t extinguish. Coming up to one of the youths, Ororo hugs the girl close, kissing her forehead and murmuring something in another language. After a couple seconds, one of the other students”Monet”parts from the others, turning to stand just before the obelisk, her slight body swaying to some internal tune before her lovely voice broke the silence.


“Night and the spirit of life”calling
Oh, oh, iyo mamela oh, oh, iyo
And the voice with the fear of a child answers
Oh, oh, iyo iyo mamela

Wait! There's no mountain too great
Hear these words and have faith
Oh, oh, iyo
Have faith...
Hela hey mamela, hela hey mamela
Hela hey mamela, hela hey mamela

He lives in you, he lives in me…
He watches over everything we see
Into the waters, into the truth
In your reflection, he lives in you..!”




As the young songstress belts out the mournful but hopeful tune, Ororo’s eyes close and her face lifts to the skies. She smiles; sure she can feel the spirit of her father looking down on them. Quietly, her broken voice whispered, “G’bye daddy.”


---


Some hours later, when the students have retired and the older graduates reminisce of their academy days and stories of Charles Xavier: the teacher, the confidant, the father”Ororo keeps mostly to the kitchen area, cleaning up dishes and trying to settle into a routine she feels won’t drive her up the wall. As she hears Marie and Remy disagreeing about whose fault it was when they’d been caught kissing near the pool (LeBeau almost needed off-campus medical attention), she tried not to laugh, shaking her head. It was a memory more than half the first graduating class was there to witness, after all.

“Need some help?”

She turned to see Scott carrying small plates and a couple glasses toward one of the dishwashers, checking to make sure its contents weren’t already clean before he carefully placed them inside also. “Oh, I’m almost finished. Scott, you don’t have to do this. You should be enjoying the rest of your leave with the others; there’s plenty of time to get things going around here”“

His chuckle cut her off as he shook his head to himself, leaning against the closed washer. Crossing his muscular arms, Summers gave Ro a once over that was more admiration than appreciation. “Are you going to be this bossy when I’m ‘officially’ working with you?”

“With??” She balked with more force than necessary, showing her jest. “You mean, For, right? And yes, I will.”

He laughed at that, coming to stand beside her and gave Ro’s hip a bump with his. “Hey, not to change the subject, but I need to ask you a question.”

“Sure. Shoot.”

“Why didn’t you tell me Jean used to be married to that hairy little gnome you used to run around with?”

A sound a lot like shock and feigned anger erupted from Ororo and she smacked Scott’s arm with a lightly clenched fist. Though she wasn’t trying to really hurt him, her punch did leave a little sting, but he only chuckled at her rosy-brown cheeks, holding his arm in mock pain. “Scott, I swear--!”

“I’m just saying.”

“And why do you care?” Ro asked cautiously, not entirely sure why she cared that he cared.

“What?! I find the woman…interesting, is all. Besides, she seems caught up on some guy she just broke up with and I don’t plan on being anyone’s rebound.” He watched her just as carefully now; Ororo chose to believe she was imaging the hint behind that tone.

“Oh, is that right?” She narrowed her gaze at him.

“That’s right. Feel better now?”

She scoffed at his egotism, tossing the slightly damp apron she’d been wearing right over his head. Scott only laughed, dragging it down from his face & messing his hair, but didn’t care. Digging through her purse on the table, Ororo used this as a distraction to put some distance between them. Grumbling, she muttered, “You shouldn’t be concerned about me. What about Emma??”

Coming over to the table, he spread his hands at either corner, leaning in to take a nosy peek at the contents of her purse. “Trust me Ororo, Emma isn’t a problem…”

She laughed bitterly at that, but kept going through her stuff.

“…for you or Jean.”

Her hands stopped moving and she glanced up at him for a brief moment. The look in his eyes told Ororo a lot; none of which she was ready to hear. It was a last open invitation to a life she’d promised herself years ago she’d never put herself in the position to relive. It would be too simple to fall right back into the childish games she & Scooter played as teens. He was easy to get attached to. Hard to get out of a girl’s system once inside. Besides, she knew she didn’t love Scott…not anymore, and not for some time. That had been relegated to”

Her fingers started to shake for a moment and her face faltered. Scott saw something was bothering her, and knew her well enough that it had nothing to do with him. “Roro?”

“Um, can you keep those crazy bastards quiet and somewhere next to sober until I get back?” she grabbed her keys and was already heading toward the door.

“Ororo?? Where are you going this time of night?” He followed her to the door, holding her elbow to stop her.

She turned immediately and their close proximity didn’t help her agitated mood. The look he gave her was primarily of concern, however; Ororo appreciated it, but knew company was the last thing she needed tonight. “Scott…I”I really appreciate what you’re doing here for me. Really, I do. But…”

“…I know. I’ve known for some time that I’d been thrown out of my Room in here,” he lightly poked the space just above her heart. The way he said it almost made her regretful.

“You’re still there, knucklehead.” She whispered, leaning into his chest just for a moment, but more in a wistful way that told him any chance for them to rekindle had long since passed. “You just have a few roommates, is all.”

He knew each of those she referred to, but truthfully was only concerned about one of them. Somehow sensing this, Ororo patted his arm, then reached back to open the kitchen door leading to the garage. “Don’t worry, Scott, I’m only going to my brownstone for a few things…And trust me, the One you’re worried about has decided to make himself a non-issue.”

As the door’s lock quietly clicked behind her, Scott Summers somehow doubted that.


---


About an hour later, a leisurely drive back into Brooklyn did Ororo’s frazzled emotions some good. She kept thinking of her father, and his promise to her that things would “work themselves out”. She wished like never before that he had been right, but after a week of M.I.A. behavior from the one person she thought would certainly be a comfort to her, Ororo was definitely sure of one thing:

That she was sure of Nothing.

‘You risked a lot to help that son of a”and THIS is how he repays you??’
she scoffed to herself, less alert and aware of her surroundings than normal as she inserted her key in the front door lock. “Not even a fuckin’ phone call..”

“You know I do these things better in person, Darlin’.”

She nearly jumped out of her skin, twisting around and losing her balance at the sound of his low, gruff voice. Logan was quick to dip in and grab at her, steadying her and keeping Ororo from kissing the concrete steps between them. “Lo-gan?!”

His expression was one of some reserve and definitely guarded, as he took it upon himself to release her, satisfied she had her own balance once more. “Hey, Ro.”

’Hey, Ro’??” Her voice went up an octave in the late night air, her incredulous expression quickly turning sour. “That’s all you have to say to me??”

Before he could answer, she unlocked her door, slipped inside and promptly slammed it in his face. Wincing with the loud sound, Logan wasn’t the least bit surprised, but still it only made his resolve”and his decision”that much more difficult. He wished to God he didn’t have to do this”and especially not now”but time was definitely not on his side. Glancing down at his watch, he swore under his breath as that thought was re-affirmed. Knocking lightly on the door, he waited for her to open it, but after several moments, nothing happened.

Another attempt went unanswered, and for a second Logan turned away from the brownstone’s door, looking back across the street where he left the unmarked Suburban. Furrowing his brow, he turned back to her door, placing one palm, then the other flat against the cool surface. His forehead thumped against it and he slowly shook his head. ‘What the fuck are you doing here?’

Suddenly his eyes popped open and stared at the hard wood, his expression changing from one of confusion to one of guilt. Only his sensitive ears could’ve picked up the soft sounds of stifled sobs just on the other side of that door, and it made his heart ache.



“Some dreams
Are in the night time
And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade
Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words but
Seasons change…

It feels
Like it's forever
No reason for emptiness
But time just runs away [time runs away]
No more day by day
You dream again and scenes remain
But seasons change…”




Inside, Ro leaned fully against the door after she’d slammed it in his face, her head angled upward as she stared at the ceiling, biting her lip trying to stop crying. She was almost as mad at herself as she was with him; she was getting really tired of crying. It felt like that’s all she did these days.

“Ro.”

Her eyes opened and slid to one side. The quiet call to her tugged at her broken heart, but she shook her head against the impulse to let him in”her door or her heart again. “Don’t. Just go away. Please.”

On the other side of the barrier she kept between them, Logan shook his head, vehemently now. “I’m sorry, Darlin’. I can’t.” ‘At least, not yet…’

“Yeah (sniff)”actually, you can. You found it easy enough last week. Just disappear again, Logan. Seems like something you’re pretty good at, am I right?”

His heavy body leaned into the door, his hands spread against it as if he was trying to keep it up from falling. Logan’s head dipped momentarily, then his gaze fixed on the brown wood as if he could see her right through it. “I’m here now.”

“Now? Now?” She pulled away from the door, staring at it as if it burned her. “Where the hell were you when I needed you?!”

“Ro”“

“I needed you…and you weren’t there.” Her voice whispered the last part with a sadness and disappointment that tore at him.

For several moments there was no response from the other side of her door, and Ororo almost wondered if he’d left. Then, she heard a deep sigh and the wood of the door creaked slightly beneath the weight of his body against it. “I know. I know, and Ororo if there was any way I could…(sigh)” He stopped from finishing that sentence, knowing that in light of all she’d been through and all she’d lost, if he completed that statement it’d be as much a slap in the face as his absence obviously had been.

Silence passed between them, and Logan began to think all was lost, when he heard the lock on the other side slide away from the hole, and he stood up away from the door as she quietly opened it. She wanted him to see the hurt in her eyes, and he did.

“Logan…” She stayed in the doorframe, shaking her head; tired and defeated. “…what do you want?”

He suddenly seemed unsure, but still, cautiously stepped closer to her, though she didn’t move to invite him in. Their eyes met; he could see her mistrust and pain, she could all but feel his regret.

When he gave her no answer, she repeated: “What do you want..?”

A man often of so few words, he reached out to her, cupping her wet cheeks with his hands, and brought their lips together slowly. Holding his wrists”her mind begged her to stop him but her heart wouldn’t have any of that”she eventually broke the kiss with a tortured sob. Their foreheads rested against each other, and he looked up into her watery eyes.



“[I want you]
I want to feel you by my side
[I need you]
Don't you know I need you baby

[Seasons change]
Feelings change
It's been so long since I found you
Yet it seems like yesterday
[Seasons change]
People change
I'll sacrifice tomorrow
Just to have you here today…”




Ororo saw her answer in his eyes, and a sudden gust of air moved past their bodies, blowing the front door closed soundly; now he had hers as well. Slowly, she pulled away from him but it was only to lead him upstairs. Logan only allowed their trek to get as far as the base of those first steps before he planted his feet, stopping her. When she turned to him in obvious question, he murmured, “I can’t stay, darlin’.”

She nodded as if she already knew that, but the look she pierced him with told Logan she didn’t care just at that moment. The truth was, he was there now. “That’s all that matters.” She’d finish.

His eyes softened, watching her, and in a moment, she closed the space between them, and he crushed her against his body. Ororo buried her face against him to remember the feel of him, just as she was sure he was trying to keep the smell of her shampoo in his memory as well. Against her neck, she felt his breath as he whispered softly to her. “I can’t stay…but before I leave, I need to tell you…”

Curious, she didn’t dare move but her eyes as her own voice ghosted back: “Tell me what?”

“…everything.”



---


At that moment in the Texas desert, Chris Maverick stood alone in the dim conference room, but he knew just outside the doors there had to be a couple of mutant-born MPs waiting.

For him.

‘Sons of bitches.’ He looked down in his hands at the single piece of paper, his copy of the Tribunal’s recommendation that he be held in Section X’s version of a military brig until they’d finished going through the evidence against him. Against him!

Christoph David Nord v. The United States of America, eh?” He whispered harshly, sarcastically. The paper crunched in his shaking fingers as his anger became evident. He honestly couldn’t believe these idiots were going to allow Howlett back into the fold”back onto the field”as if nothing had happened, while they were trying to crucify him just for exposing the ugly truth. The man was obviously a loose cannon of the worst kind, but no one gave a shit. There was no way they wanted Victor Creed captured that damn badly.

Just then, he could hear a thick southern drawl on the other side of the conference room door, and immediately recognized it as General Ackens’. ‘Fucking traitor…’

While Maverick was all but certain his own military career with Section X was over, the General only received the equivalent of a slap on the wrist for his culpability in the incident that the sect had officially categorized as a “Training Accident”. Chris genuinely thought the man would use some sort of clout to do the same for him, and so was beyond anger (and embarrassment) when Jason unceremoniously left him to feel the preverbal wheels of the bus he’d been thrown under.

First, the Tribunal charges him with a dozen counts of the most serious charges surrounding the deaths and injuries of their agents, then Ackens turns on him and gives the Creed case back over to Howlett”as if that bastard could be trusted where Sabretooth was concerned”and now this…

Looking down, his brow furrowed with anger and a little pain, moving the cuff of his shirt up from his wrist just barely to see the bright blue-veined ‘star bursts’ that were becoming increasingly difficult to hide. Even now, he was dressed in a dark turtleneck with long sleeves. In August…in Texas. If anyone suspected, they hadn’t said jack-shit to him, and Chris wanted to keep it that way.

If anyone got wind of the fact that he had an apparent new strain of TLV, they’d probably kill him.

“Captain?”

He turned toward the door, pulling on the neck of his shirt uncomfortably. “What.”

Jason’s face appeared behind the attractive MP officer. His expression appeared expectedly schooled into neutrality, and Chris suspected he’d needed to practice that look in the mirror for a while before facing him. “Time t’go, son.”

Leaving the crumpled statement of ‘voluntary suspension’ he’d been forced to sign with the rest of the papers on the long table, Maverick slowly came around to them, his hard eyes never leaving the General’s. Once he stepped outside into the brighter hall way light, the other MP (a man about a foot and a half taller than Chris’ impressive 6 feet-some-odd inches) moved in, apparently with the intent of holding the ‘prisoner’ at bay until his partner could secure the Halo* against the captain’s forehead.

“Hey, hold on…” Ackens placed a hand on the female MP’s arm as she reached out to Maverick. At her concerned and curious expression, the General only shook his head, indicating that the device wasn’t needed. Inwardly, Jason was only just able to fight the guilt over leaving Maverick to take the brunt of the blame in the accident with Colonel Howlett. The least he could do was let the man keep his dignity and not be paraded throughout the base wearing that damned power-dampener like some criminal.

As the quartet headed down the halls”Ackens walking just behind them, while the MPs flanked Maverick’s sides”Jason kept a close watch on his subordinate, wondering what was going through the man’s mind. After a few moments he couldn’t stand the oppressive silence any longer and asked him just that.

Slowing just enough to make the General wonder, Chris turned slightly, only his eyes meeting the other man’s. The look exchanged immediately told Ackens he’d been a fool to let his guilt get the better of him. His eyes widened in alarm, but was already too late.

“You picked the wrong Weapon, Jason.”


---


Brooklyn, New York
Sunday, August 23, 2004
3:08 a.m.


Her heart wanted her to believe otherwise, but when Ororo woke, her senses confirmed the ugly truth. Rolling over in her large bed, she sighed, opening only one eye against the ominous, quiet darkness of her brownstone apartment. Staring out of the partially opened curtains of the window across the room, she could tell it was still quite late into the night. A lonely August moon reflected bright light across the stark white sheets, and as she reached out an arm across the emptiness beside her, the moon’s light cast a deceptively cool glow upon her dark skin. It should have been his skin couched against the moonlight and her sheets.



“…Forever
Seems so far away
There's time for love and for play
You dream about today [about today]
Feelings slips away
The winds that blow they go away
and seasons change

[I want you]
Don't hide your feelings from inside
[I need you]
I got to have your love now baby

[Seasons change]
[Feelings change]
It's been so long since I found you
Yet it seems like yesterday
[Seasons change]
People change

[I want you]
I want to feel you by my side
[I need you]
I got to have your love now baby

[Seasons change]
Feelings change
It's been so long since I found you
Yet it seems like yesterday
[Seasons change]
People change
I'll sacrifice tomorrow
Just to have you here today
Just to have you here today…”




Wrapping herself in the sheets that still smelled of him”them”Ororo left the loneliness of her bed in favor of that window, knowing she wouldn’t see his unmarked government vehicle at her curb either.

Staring up at the moon, she was surprised at the almost…comforting…sense of acceptance she felt. After everything he’d told her”and boy, was it a lot to grasp”Ororo felt that finally she knew who this man James Howlett was.

And also why she would never be able to call him hers.

Rrrrrinnng…

Not entirely startled, Ororo nonetheless hurried to the phone by the bed, picking it up by the beginning of its second ring. “Hello?”

“Ororo! (See, I told ya’ll…)”

“Marie? What”what’s wrong? Why are you calling so late?” Ororo stood next to the bed, her thoughts elsewhere as she was just barely able to hear background conversations on the other end of the line. Her young sister didn’t altogether sound awake”or sober”but Ororo was sure she was staying at the School and not driving anywhere.

“Nuthin’ sis. Just wanted to make sure you were ok. Scooter here was getting’ his ‘pannies all in a”hey!!”

There were muted sounds of a short chastising and at least two people ‘wrestling’ for the phone before Scott’s deep voice came over the line. “Ignore your sister, Ororo. I couldn’t keep her and Rem out of the Brandy while you’ve been gone.”

Ororo snickered with Scott, hearing the two younger offenders objecting behind him in their best ‘I ain’t drunk’ voices. “That’s ok, Scott. But seriously, is everything ok?”

“Yeah, we’re all fine here. I just wanted to make sure you were alright before going to bed.” He hesitated before saying anything else, and she was patient in waiting for him to decide if he was brave enough to delve deeper into her personal business.

“I’m fine, Scott.” Was all the help he was going to get.

She could almost hear him nodding before finally accepting that. “Ok. Well…then, have a good night, Roro, ok?”

“Thank you, Scott…and, Scott?” She stopped him before he hung up.

“Yeah?”

“I’ll see you in the morning.”

There was the oddest sigh (of relief?) before his voice murmured, “Yeah. Ok. See you in the morning.”

Hanging up the phone, Ororo couldn’t help but smile to herself. For the first time in a very long time, she felt genuinely appreciative of the wonderful family she’d been blessed with. More than anything, it was her father’s greatest gift to her.

Hm. Speaking of gifts…She caught sight of the plain wooden box set on the edge of her nightstand near the base of the cordless phone. She couldn’t remember where it’d come from; it didn’t look familiar at all to her. Picking it up to turn it in her hands, she glanced down again, seeing the small white envelope that had been placed beneath it. Still holding the box, she opened the flap of the envelope; drawing out a short piece of paper that looked like it had been ripped from a pad of her stationary from the downstairs study. On it, penmanship of rough, hurried letters greeted her eyes.

For a moment, Ororo was puzzled what more He’d have to say to her that he felt couldn’t have been done aloud, but she quickly turned into the light of the moon from the window to read the urgently written note:

‘Ro

I’m finally glad I got to say what I needed to say. I’m only sorry it took so long for me to get around to it. You deserved better”you DESERVE better”and I know one day you’ll get It. In the meantime, I got just one last secret to let go of. I’ve been keeping this one for 25 years, waiting for the right time to share it.

With you.

Love Always,
Logan



Her fingers slid against another, thicker piece of paper behind his note, and moving it aside, she saw an aged photograph. Its edges were worn (or singed?) but it appeared to have been taken with a pretty expensive camera for its day, judging by the way the color kept.

In it, the bright hot Kenyan sun embraced a young woman with noble features, her naturally kinky, curly jet-black hair braided in a thick coil curving around her collarbone. Her sharp gaze stared directly into the camera lens though her eyes were narrowed against the sun’s light. There was a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes as she comfortably held a small child in her arms against her breast. The toddler appeared to be of an age just out of diapers, wild stark white hair blowing against the warm winds and into her cherub-like face as she leaned into her mother’s embrace but impishly smiled at the person behind the camera.

Shaking her head, Ororo turned to the box still her hands. Opening it, she couldn’t help the gasp that escaped her lips. Inside, a polished armlet of pure gold and ivory sat cushioned on the dark velvet lining of the wood box. In the center lying against the box was a small key with a number on it.

She sat down on the bed to get off of her shaky legs, a hand to her mouth as she looked at the photo again, seeing the same jewelry hugging the left arm of her mother. Taking it out of the box, Ororo held the armlet up to her face, eyes wide as she stared at it. Carefully and skillfully crafted for Kenyan royalty, it was the last gift her mother would ever give her. For several seconds she shook her head, then closed her eyes as a sad but relieved sigh took her face. She did weep, but it was not to mourn her forgotten life. She celebrated the feeling of completeness now in her heart.

Thanks to her father.

And Logan.



---



A Few Hours Later, just before dawn…
It seemed like they’d been flying forever. Well, at least to Logan it did. Sitting away from his team in the rear of the plane, he leaned against the cool metal interior wall, his head ‘cushioned’ against it as he watched the dim blinking light above him. The sounds of the others”Ben and Nina of course, along with some new faces (Wisdom, Caliber, Longshot and Haven)”were easily drowned out, both by the heavy engines as well as his will.

Dressed in the dark, tight leather and Kevlar suits typical of the covert ops unit, Logan drew his leg up to his chest, resting his arm there as he cracked his fingers reflexively. His thoughts of course were miles away where he’d also left his heart.



“If you wait for me then I'll come for you
Although I've traveled far
I always hold a place for you in my heart
If you think of me, If you miss me once in a while
Then I'll return to you
I'll return and fill that space in your heart…

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
I've longed for you and I have desired
To see your face your smile
To be with you wherever you are”




Leaving Her was easily going to go down as one of the toughest things the Colonel had to do in his long, troubled and rich life. He had no doubts that she fully understood their night together would be the Last; Logan truly believed in some weird way that he loved her too much to see their relationship die as his marriage to Jean had. He wouldn’t be able to live with himself if that happened. So the alternative..?

His brow furrowed as his heart triggered just that moment to make his brain recall the image of her lying in his arms, content and asleep in the darkness of the brownstone apartment. Her delicate fingers threaded his wild hair, her cheek against him as her face pressed against his. It was this unconscious attempt to keep him there that broke his heart the most, though her words had assured him it was ok.

Shifting in his seat uncomfortably, Logan blinked a couple times, his thought concentration broken when one of the agents up front burst out in laughter about something Ben said or did.

Glancing their way only briefly to make sure no one was looking, Logan shifted his body again, away from the front of the plane, and dug deep into one of his front pockets, where a small piece of photo paper had been crammed. His hard silver eyes burned into the picture for several minutes, before he sighed heavily, his head sharply knocking against the wall of the vessel as his only sign of frustration…and maybe regret?



“Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
Please say you'll be waiting

Together again
It would feel so good to be
In your arms
Where all my journeys end
If you can make a promise If it's one that you can keep, I vow to come for you
If you wait for me and say you'll hold
A place for me in your heart…”




Unintentionally crushing the picture, the image of him and Ororo at her family’s reunion folded in his grasp. God, he was such a fuckin’ fool.

Phoenix-One to X-Men-Omega, you’re up!” Crackled over the expensive comm.-link in his ear, startling Logan out of his thoughts.

His eyes cleared from their daydream, turning cold and almost translucent, as he roughly shoved the picture back in his breast pocket, standing up and adjusting his gloves, making sure the custom-made holes for his claws were aligned. He was met by the expectant, excited gazes of his new team, as they strapped on the parachutes and the Jump Master roughly opened the side of the plane for them.

The early morning horizon greeted them above the jungles of South Asia, and He took only a moment to appreciate it’s beauty and respect the unknown danger that awaited them.

All business, the Team’s leader nodded to each of them in turn, then”just because he liked the sound of it”Logan popped all three claws on his right hand quickly, the metallic sound making the hackles on his neck raise. He nodded to himself now, determined. He had a job to do; it was what was keeping him from a life he knew would make him happy, and because he fully understood what it was he was giving up, Colonel Howlett was going to make damned sure they didn’t fail.

That”after all”is what made him The Best there is at what he does.
Epilogue (Always Forever…Now) by Echo
A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #28 Epilogue (Always Forever…Now)



Salem Center, New York
Tuesday, December 21st 2004
8:25 am EST


The morning was the first quiet one the Xavier Institute had enjoyed since the semester started in early September. The School’s halls were mostly empty, though they wouldn’t stay so for long as the holidays neared.

While the school staff that agreed to stay on through the end of the month (and get paid handsomely for it) continued their early morning chores, one of the headmasters moved about the grounds leisurely, taking a quiet inventory outwardly, but inwardly relishing the quiet.

As footsteps came to the back of the mansion-turned-school, a low chuckle was stifled at the sight only a few short yards away.

Across from the black stone marking the school’s founder, the memorial garden’s tender was hip deep in perennials, her features appearing deep in concentration as she moved the young buds into the perfect position. The snow all around her didn’t seem to bother the woman at all.

Unaware she was being watched, Ororo leaned back on her knees, watching the plants. No one could understand why she was planting flowers, but the weather witch only planted on the Solstice. Besides, if anyone could protect the plant, Ororo could. Sure, it would take some concentration, but it had been a tradition of hers for years. Usually she did the “Planting” on the back of her brownstone, but since she wouldn’t be there, the school would have to do. Besides, she thought her dad would get a kick out of it.

Smiling sadly, she would miss him this Christmas, but his kids and their extended family of older graduates were all set to make the inner walls of the currently deserted school quite lively this holiday season.

The thought of spending the holidays with them warmed Ororo’s lonely heart, and as she fingered the newly planted buds around her, she couldn’t escape her memories of another missed soul.



“I didn't hear you leave,
I wonder how am I still here
I don't want to move a thing,
It might change my memory

Oh I am what I am,
I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep,
I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide,
I cannot be, until you're resting here with me…”



It was almost exactly four months since she’d last heard from or seen Logan, and truth be told, she missed him more each day they were apart. Her bravery the night they’d said their goodbyes now seemed so foolish to her, but after the things he’d told her about Section X, Ororo understood why Logan thought she might be better off without him.

Still didn’t mean it hurt any less.

Or that she wanted him back any less.



“I don't want to call my friends,
They might wake me from this dream
And I can't leave this bed,
Risk forgetting all that's been

Oh I am what I am,
I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep,
I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide,
I cannot be, until you're resting here with me…”




Holding in her feelings was also tiring the Xavier Institute’s headmistress. She didn’t tell her sisters or brothers the details of her ‘break up’ with Logan, and they’d respectfully left it at that. She was ok with allowing them to assume it had something to do with her past & what happened with her parents in Cairo. The less they knew the better, Logan warned her. She believed him. But Beth and Marie were still worried of their sister’s sullen attitude and melancholy, especially these days. They were around much more than their substituting classes warranted, but Ororo knew that was for completely different reasons…

Struggling to get to her feet, Ororo sighed, taking a deep breath. She was still surprised every time she forgot how hard simple things like standing were becoming.

“Need a hand?”

She looked up into Scott’s smiling face, and willingly took his hand. He helped her to her feet, but didn’t let go immediately, as she only walked a short distance to the nearby stone bench with her gardening tools. “Thanks. What are you doing up? I thought you might sleep in.”

“Why’s that?” He asked with a smile he probably wasn’t even aware he had on.

Ororo couldn’t help but shake her head like an older sister would a younger sibling. “Oh, I don’t know. Maybe because you were out to all hours last night. Hm, must’ve been some date.”

He actually chuckled at that, and the sound made her fight a smile even harder. “Wow. Scott Summers just giggled. Like, really giggled. Marie is never”“

“Going to hear about this!” He warned her, still smiling.

Ororo laughed at his expression, then sobered, watching Scott seriously. “Ok…then I guess you’ll be bringing the good doctor to the Christmas Eve party Friday?”

He looked a little embarrassed, just for a couple seconds. She couldn’t understand his hesitation in discussing his blossoming relationship with Jean. Ororo liked the doctor, of course, and she was thrilled to see Scott actually chasing an attainable woman that wasn’t psycho like Emma. Besides, one of them needed to be happy.

“Yeah, maybe…You don’t mind?” His face changed to an expression that mirrored hers asking did I seriously just say that?? Before he could take back the words.

Allowing that to go, Ororo patted his hand, giving him a grin. “You’d better bring Jean. I haven’t seen her much lately and we’ve got some…catching up to do.”

Apparently he didn’t catch the cryptic, distant aspect of that statement, which told Ororo Dr. Grey also hadn’t divulged certain things to Scott either.

“Ok, no problem,” he stood, rubbing his hands together then looking down to her and offering his hand. “You know, I don’t care if you don’t catch colds; you really shouldn’t be out here like this. Especially now.”

Rolling her eyes, Ororo took his hand, but didn’t let go when she stood. Squeezing it tightly in her gloves, she smiled up at Scott, dismissing his unnecessary concern with a flash of her own dazzling grin. “Scott, don’t be a mother-hen”“

(scoffs) You did not just call me that”“

(giggles) Hey, if it looks like a hen and nags like a hen…”

“Ok, ok. I get it. I just…I worry about you, you know? Don’t think I haven’t noticed how you mope around here these days.”

“I do not mope, Mister.”

“Yes, you do.” He started their trek back to the rear of the school, pulling her with him. “And I know why. I may not understand it”“

“Scott.” She warned ‘playfully’.

“”but I sympathize. Look, I’m just trying to say…”

She peered up at him as they reached the back doors, waiting for what she was sure to be another smart remark about Logan. But this time Scott surprised her.

“…no matter what happens, I’m going to be here for you. Both of you. Ok?”

Her eyes widened a little, and seriously, she asked, “Scott, if you and Jean”?“

Shushing her, he took her by the shoulders and leaned in carefully, kissing her forehead as he replied, “Jean understands.”

Without another word, he led the way back inside, but Ororo was slow to follow him. She was completely floored by the offer”no, the promise he’d just made her. Their relationship has definitely taken its share of changes and transformations”from childhood friends and then lovers to distant ex’s, to mourning ‘family’, now to co-workers and ‘siblings’”but Ororo never expected an admission like the one she just received. She smiled, but in her heart she wished those words had come from someone else.

With a tired sigh, she rubbed her slightly protruding belly, and headed after him inside. The rest of the house decorations weren’t going to put themselves up, after all…




NOT the End…
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=663