A Killing Time by Pari
Summary: Det. Jimmy Howlett and his new, and unwelcomed Partner must solve the case of a murdered child, which turns out to be more than what either of them expected, and possibly more than either can deal with....
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: Action, Horror, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 10755 Read: 13715 Published: 08-15-04 Updated: 03-26-07

1. Prologue by Pari

2. Chapter 1 by Pari

3. Chapter 2 by Pari

4. Chapter 3 by Pari

5. Chapter 4 by Pari

6. Chapter 5 by Pari

7. Chapter 6 by Pari

8. Chapter 7 by Pari

Prologue by Pari
Prologue

The rain poured outside, courtesy of Charlie; the tropical storm turned hurricane everyone was now taking heed of, even though we all had a weeks warning beforehand, as he raged through Florida and the Carolinas. Guess most just hoped it would pass us by like most of them did. We had been sitting in a diner, not our regular place but a place to get out of the rain that seemed to chill to the bone. Hank had been telling me about his time in Nam, and how for days they had to sit in rains, much like that, that was falling outside the window we sat in front of. He always had a way of linking up any situation to one he had experienced in Nam, though when you started questioning him about those situations he’d shutdown immediately or act as if he hadn’t heard the question. Henry ‘Hank’ McCoy, had been on the force a little over forty years, and even though he was due for retirement in a few weeks, which he claimed he’s be taking, everyone in the precinct were taking bets he wouldn’t go through with it. Hank and I had been partners since I got out of the academy, going on twelve years now. Hank was an average height standing at about 5’11”, though I thought too short to carry his weight of 200 pounds, and that was mostly muscles, impressive for a man now in his sixties. He came from Irish immigrant parents, who he saw in every elderly Irish person, causing him to always go out of his way to help them, most times above and beyond what was called for. Even though he had never married or had children he was what I’d call a family man, and I knew he had thought of me as a son. And God knows I wished my bastard of a father, who never taught me anything except how to terrorize a woman and a seven year-old kid, had been like Hank. He was a good Guy, one of the true blue good guys. Fuck what one reads in the paper everyday about bad cops and corruption on the force, which for the most part was all true, except when it came to ole Hank, Mr. Incorruptible.

Hank saw them coming in before I had he sat facing the entrance that I had my back to. After so many years together you learn things about each other; facial expressions, posture, body movements, and I knew as I looked at Hank that he thought some shit was about to go down, and he was never wrong. It was scary sometimes how right on he always seemed to be. ‘Instinct, Jimmy, cops are born with it and if ye aint got it, then ye aint really no cop.’ He’d always say, and in hindsight I know he was right.

I wiped at my mouth and then lifted my coffee to sip as I let my eyes scan the diner, and they landed on the two men who had entered; one taking a seat at the bar as the other moved to the back, most likely checking for a back way out, in case whatever they had planned, which I’d wager was a robbery, went wrong they’d have another escape route. I turn my gaze back to Hank, who in turn shot his eyes to the back, darkened corridor, where the bathrooms were and where the other guy had disappeared. I slowly stood and followed, seemingly going to take a leak, cautiously making my way down the dimly lit corridor, walking past the bathrooms and moving further to the back. As I was about to turn a corner at the very end, the perp came around it, nearly smacking into me.

“Hey man, sorry was looking for the can.” I said trying to look and act as indifferent as possible to him being back there.

“The first door on your right,” He replied but made no effort to move, as if waiting for me to turn and head back up first, and there was no way in hell I was turning my back on this guy.

“Thanks man, ya got a light?” I asked as I pulled out my pack of ‘Boro’s from my coat pocket, tugging out a cigarette and pulling it between my lips. He pause and regarded me suspiciously before reaching into his coat pocket and, causing me to move my free hand to my back, where I kept my gun. He pulled out a book of matches and tossed them to me. I caught the matches and struck one, and lit my cigarette, but before I could give my thanks a shot rang out, causing the perp and I to jump, instinctively reaching for our guns. I have heard that in moments such as this, everything moves in slow motion, but that wasn’t the case at all. In fact it wasn’t until I had heard another shot ring before I gained my bearing and saw that I had fired and the perp now lay dead on the floor at my feet. I turned and rushed back to the main diner, where I saw a scene I didn’t expect to see. The Perp sitting at the counter was now behind it, rummaging through the register while pointing his gun at the waitresses behind the counter with him. Everyone else in the diner, those not brave enough to run out, laid flat on the floor or cowering under the tables. My eyes shifted to the table by the door that Hank and I had occupied, and I saw a Man on the floor, but only his legs and feet the rest of him was hidden by another table. My mind couldn’t register it as Hank, even though this guy on the floor wore the exact same clothes Hank had been wearing. My mind just couldn’t, wouldn’t get around that fact, instead it said that Hank had gotten out and was now at the car calling for backup, and with that settled I turned my focus back to the guy still behind the counter, in the register.

“Freeze!” I yelled as I rounder the corner and pointed my gun at him, he stood a brief second surprised not sure what to do, his eyes wild and wide, and I knew he was probably high on something and this was all just to get a fix. I moved to point the gun, that he had lowered as he stuffed money in his pockets, and I shouted a warning. “Don’t do it man, just drop it, it aint worth it, don’t do it.” Even as I said it I knew he wasn’t listening, having seen the type many times before I knew that when they were this high they couldn’t understand anything, nothing matter to them except getting that next high, and with in what had to be a two minute time span another shot rang out, the second one from my gun.

I quickly moved to our table, to the guy laying on the floor, and as I looked down at him again my mind still wouldn’t register what it was seeing, still couldn’t believe that this was Hank, mainly because the guy laying on the floor, bleeding, though he wore Hank’s clothes, had no face.
Chapter 1 by Pari
Chapter 1

“Come on Jimmy, cut me some slack here,” Captain Harada said as he leaned forward at his desk, and stared at me with pleading eyes, which he had to know would have no effect on me. Keniuchio Harada came from Japan and although we were about the same age, through hard work, and a whole lot of ass kissing, he’d moved fast up the ranks, and was now my boss, which everyone called him much to his dislike. The term ‘Boss’ is one used for high ranking officers, but he knew I only called him it to annoy him. We use to be what some may call best friends, at least he’d be the only thing close to one I’d ever had, but after I had a fling with his sister, bringing dishonor and shame to their family, or so I was told, nevermind she had been to one to itiniate and then set the terms of our ‘relationship’, Harada and I kind of fell out. But we still shared a mutual respect for one another, he was a good man.

“Last week ya wanted me to go see tha shrink, this week ya want me to take on a new partner, well no thanks Boss, to both.” I said lounging back in the chair opposite his desk, waiting for the loud curses I knew were about to fly around the room and through out the floor of the Precinct.

“Jimmy I’m not making a request here, just asking for some cooperation. You will go see the shrink, or I’ll put your ass on suspension without pay, and you’re gonna take on this new partner, and work with him without incident.” Well that ended that discussion, suspension without pay was a bitch, and to a guy who just impulsively bought the big screen he’d seen at Circuit City, it was a cold hearted bitch. Although I wasn’t looking forward to taking on either tasks that Harada was asking of me, I had to admit that one was going to probably be damn near unbearable, and that was the one that involved a tall, slim, red-head, who happened to be married to another Detective in my Precinct, and who I had fallen in love with the first time I laid eyes on her. Ok Maybe it was lust the first time, but it did evolved into something more. And I told her how I felt one night at a retirement party for one of the guys in booking, and for a second I could see in her eyes that she more than flattered, as she had said to me. I knew then as I know everytime we cross each other’s path she was interested, whether that interest was in seeing what could come of a relationship with me, or if it was just about us fucking down in one of the storage closets, I wasn’t sure, maybe a bit of both. She was too loyal in the end, and I knew she probably loved her husband, which I respected, but not enough to not throw innundos at her and make it a point to brush up against her whenever she was near. Now Harada wanted me to go to her and open up and tell her deep shit that I anit never told anybody. In a closed off place, alone. “You know this wouldn’t even have to be brought up if you had gone after…Jimmy you really need to talk about it, work it out.” Harada said going into the ‘friend’ mode, which would have caved me in if it had been any other subject then Hank.

“Aint nothing to be worked out,” I said as I stood wanting to end this conversation, this particular topic was off limits, and everyone knew though there were some, like Harada who would try anyway. “I’ll go see Red, and I’ll welcome the new rookie with open arms, ok?” Harada smiled taking the hint to change the subject, which he acknowledged with a nod of his head.

“Alright Jimmy, and by the way your new partner is no rookie, pulled up his file, he’s transferring from uptown, Homicide division, got 7 years on the force, and a pretty impeccable list of awards and honors. Hell He could have made Captain by now, but didn’t want to take a desk job.” Harada read on silently for a few second, clearly impressed and I moved to the door to leave him to it. “He’ll be coming in first thing in the morning Jimmy, so no shit like last time.” I threw him a smile before walking out as I thought of the last time they had tried to partner me up with somebody. Poor guy was the biggest brown noser I had ever met, which I took full advantage of, hell if he wanted to drop off my laundry every week and then pay to get it out, who was I to complain, but our partnership ended after a trip to the toughest neighborhood in town, full of gang members and cop killers, where he was left stranded. Well not stranded cause I was just around the corner and would have jumped in at the first sign of any trouble, which there was none, unless you included the crazed looking white guy in a cops uniform running down the street like a bat outta hell, and screaming like a girl. I had to do nearly sixty to catch up with him. Guess I’ll just have to wait to get to know the new guy before I can find the perfect way to get rid of him.

Elsewhere:
“This is not what I asked for, not what I paid for.” The hefty bald man said as he stood in the small room that housed only a bed with a covered side table and a chair.

“Don’t worry man, it’s all good. Fresh like ya wanted.” The scrawny black man in the Versace suit and fur coat, said throwing a wide smile to show his gold plated teeth. “And I was even able to get some toys fer ya, and don’t worry about makin a mess, I’ll take care of that too.” These words brought a smile to the bald man’s face, which the Black man took as an OK and so he turned and quickly left the room, closing the door behind him. The bald man removed his jacket and moved to the bed side table, he pulled off the covering and his smile widened at the gleaming objects displayed. He picked up a sharp utensil and turned towards the bed, where a girl who looked to be seven cowered in the corner of the bed, balled up and crying, as she watched the man with wide frighten eyes.

“OK, my little doll baby, lets play.”
Chapter 2 by Pari
Chapter 2

I hadn’t even made it in before I got the call and was put on a new case. All I knew was that a body had been found by the docks, which won’t unusual, so I didn’t understand why Harada had said it took priority over all the other cases I was barely working. I arrived on the scene which was overflowing with police from three different precincts and this put me on edge as to what I was gonna see. Shit like this didn’t occur unless the victim was someone important, a senator’s kid or possibly a celebrity, then everybody wanted to come out a catch a peek, never mind it won’t their jurisdiction and they were fucking over our crime scene. When I finally got across the tape, I could tell by the other officers faces and demeanor there was something bad with a hint of evil lurking about, and when I saw a couple of them hunched over and spilling their breakfast in the street, it was obvious that it was also something gory.

“Fuck me, you’re up early.” A voice spoke out and I turned to see the smile of Officer Bobby Drake, ‘The Rookie’ or fresh fish, as I liked to call him. The guy came from a long line of police officers, and actually believed that he could and would make a difference, determined to serve and protect, fucker thinks he’s some kind of superhero. I give him six months on the beat before the job loses the allure, and he’s either taking bribes to turn the other way, or making some crack whore suck him off to stay out of jail. “Well your new partner made it here first, boy did you luck out too, got yourself a legend of sort or so I hear.”

“Yeah,” I say unimpressed as I fished through my pockets for a match to light the cigarette already dangling from my lips. “And what do you call this legend, and where can I find’m?” I questioned, finally giving up and tossing the unused cigarette on the wet ground.

“Detective Munroe, over there with the body.” He nodded and I followed his gaze, and headed over to meet my new partner. “Hope you skipped breakfast.” Drake called after me, as I kept moving. The body was swamping with CSI and the coroner officials making it hard as hell to determine which was Munroe, but that thought flew from my head when my eyes fell to the small body, just lying on the wet street. Just when I didn’t think I could lose more faith in God or humanity…Fuck.

“It’s a hard thing to understand isn’t it,” A soft female voice spoke out and I turned to see a very beautiful woman with a harden expression on her face. I sized her up a brief second; she stood at about 5’10”, with a slim frame yet voluptuous, curvy in all the right places. I wasn’t sure which stood out the most about her, her height, her long platinum blonde hair that seemed to go well with her cinnamon complexion, or the bright blue eyes, that I could tell were hers and not falsies, she was a true Nubian beauty. When I felt her returning my gaze I quickly turned my attention back to the body and spoke.

“Not really, not in this fucked up city.” I answered truthfully, for one sees a lot in a place often referred to as the ‘hell of hell’.

“Yes, but I do not think one ever gets use to…this.” She said with a sigh. “No matter how many times you see a similar scene.”

“Naw, and if they do its definitely time to retire.” I reply as I moved back a bit to stand beside Munroe and out of the way of the investigators, taking snapshots and tagging everything around the body. “Howlett, by the way.” I throw out and I see her arch her brows in seeming interest.

“Detective James Logan Howlett?” She said causing me to bunch my brows.

“Jimmy,” I corrected her, the only person who can get away with calling me by my full name, was Sister Katherine, and then only because I was twelve and she carried around a yard stick, which she had no problem smacking you with.

“Well, nice to finally meet you Jimmy, I’m Detective Ororo Munroe, but please call me Rory.” She greeted with a smile and outstretched hand, and I just looked from one to the other, waiting for the punch line.

“Munroe?” I repeated still waiting for this scene now playing in slow mode to catch up with my ears.

“Yes, your new partner.” She answered and then quickly turned her attention to the Coroner, who was bagging the body. “Hey Nat, can you tell us anything?” She asked moving to Dr. Nathaniel Essex, the city’s coroner.

“Right now, yeah it’s a female approximately six, seven, and she’s been severely mutilated, anything else I won’t know til I do an autopsy, you know the routine.” He said and Munroe nodded and looked down at the ground as if in deep thought.

“Well would you mind if we sit in?” She asked and I looked at her as if she were crazy, and she had to be if she thought I was gonna sit and watch while this poor kid got butcher more than she already had. She must have seen the sour look on my face for she threw me a smirk. “Don’t tell me you’ve got a weak stomach Jimmy, it’s ok I’ll hold your hand if you want.” She said giggling, trying to bait and challenge me, and doing a fine job of both. Oh yeah this was gonna be the shortest partnership I’d have to date, if I have anything to do with it.
Chapter 3 by Pari
Chapter 3

After finally being coaxed with a promise of a month’s worth of laundry service, Munroe and I followed Dr. Essex and sat in on the autopsy. Much to my relief we had to watch from a viewing area, for Essex didn’t want us contaminating any possible evidence that may still be on the body. That sat fine with me, but Munroe looked pissed, wasn’t sure if it was because she’s got a thing for seeing gory shit up close and personal or if it was because she would have to pay for my laundry now for nothing. The Coroner’s assistance prepped the body; laid it out on the autopsy table, which was just a slated tray with raised edges, for drainage and to keep blood and fluids from being spilt onto the floor. The body was then measure and photographed cloth and naked, and then closely examined for any abnormalities on the skin.

The internal examination was then conducted, with a Y-shaped incision made by cutting from shoulder to shoulder, across the breasts and down from the lower sternum to the pubic area. After the ribcage was removed with a saw, Essex went about removing organs and fluids from just about everything, which the assist took to the lab to be tested and examined closer. All during the exam Essex spoke into a recorder he’d pick up every so often, but after he moved to the genitalia exam he finally turned his attention to us, and his face took a sudden paleness, which told me this was some shit he didn’t see often, even in his profession.

“Jesus,” He spoke out and we could hear him clearly through the speakers in the room we stood in. He moved off to a nearby counter and leaned against it, and for a second I thought he was gonna pass out. After taking a few deep breaths he moved back to the body. “The genitalia is very bruised and swollen and the vaginal and anal cavities both have foreign objects in them.” At this he grabbed some prongs from the nearby table and moved back to the body to remove the objects, he pulled them out one by one, and held them up a moment before he placed them on the table.

“Motherfucker,” I grumbled as I looked to Munroe who stood and watched with a seeming coolness, but the way she clinched of her fists and jaws told me she was just as outraged, as I was, possibly more.

“And yes, looking at the burns down here, I’d say the cigars were lit when they were shoved in her.” Essex answered the obvious question.

“Is that a bottle?” Munroe asked of one of the several objects pulled out, as I stood silent, and battled a sudden rage at what had happened to this poor kid and a newfound hatred for God for having allowed it to happen.

“Yes,” Essex confirmed. “Smells like some form of alcohol, this poor kid must have been in agony.” Essex said with a sad sigh. “All the swelling and bruising, I’d say she was fisted.”

“Fisted?” I repeated as I frowned in confusion.

“Yeah,” Essex spoke as he lifted his fist in the air. “Fisted.” He then moved back to the body and took vaginal and anal swabs, and I turned to leave, not caring if Munroe followed or not, I just had to get out of there. I didn’t want nor need to see anymore, and to my surprise Munroe followed me out, guess she’d had her fill as well. We walked out silently to the parking lot, we paused and both leaned against the car. I pulled out a smoke, lit it and took a deep pull, held it in for a second, and then slowly blew it out.

“So,” Munroe spoke out as she reached over and pulled the cigarette from my fingers, and placed it to her lips where she took a brief drag and then toss it to the ground. “Where do we go from here?” She asked as she looked directly at me now.

“Straight to the source,” I answered but didn’t look at her, didn’t even really care that she just wasted one of my ‘Boro’s. “Blue,” I said and then moved to get in the car. Munroe moved around and got in the passenger side.

“And what’s a Blue?”

“A pimp, who specializes in children.” I replied and got a stunned look from Munroe and I could almost read her thoughts. “Darlin its one thing knowing something and another thing proving it, and most the kids he puts out there are willing participates, who don’t wanna talk to us, so in my book they don’t want help.”

“How could you think that, maybe they’re scared, maybe they think there’s no other way for them, but don’t ever think it’s something they want to be doing.” Munroe yelled out which caused me to look at her, as she then turned and looked out the window. Seemed I’d hit a nerve.

~~~~

With the traffic it took long than I had expected to get downtown and to the subway. Munroe continued to follow me in silence as we pushed past the patrons coming and going, and it wasn’t until we stopped at my destination did she arch a curious brow and finally spoke.

“I thought you said we were going to Mr. Blue’s office, this is a bathroom.” She said as she looked at me with a hint of laughter on her lips. I only smirk in return before shoving the bathroom door open and entering. She paused a second before entering after me, and into a full house.

“Get Out,” I growled at the three men at the urinals, and they hurriedly obliged until all that was left were Munroe and I, and the soft cursing and cries that could be heard from one of the closed stalls. I moved to the stall and opened it, Munroe gasped at the scene we witnessed, though I was not at all surprised. In the stall were Blue and some boy who didn’t look to be more than thirteen. The boy was bent over and braced against the far wall, while Blue fucked him in the ass, so into his task that he ignored the boy’s cries and I don’t even think he noticed my presence, not until I grabbed him by the hair, and yanked him off the kid and out of the stall onto the floor. I then focused on the kid, who stared at me with frightened tear filled eyes as he scrabbled to pull up his pants, my angry eyes softened a bit when I saw the blood and knew that he hadn’t been much of a willing player. I figured the kid was a runaway, and by the look of him had finally gotten so hungry he decided to make a quick buck, just with the wrong person. Blue would have had his fun with the kid and then beat him up a bit to put fear in him, and then put him to work right then and there, right out of the very stall we stood in. “Munroe.” I called out and she moved forward. “It’s alright kid, go with her and we’ll get ya to a place, get ya cleaned up and some food in ya.” He didn’t move simply stared from me to Munroe.

“Its ok sweetie, come with me.” Munroe spoke softly and convincingly for the kid moved past me and to Munroe, who took him out of the bathroom, and I then turned back to Blue, who still sat on the floor, but had pulled up his pants. When he noticed my eyes on him he attempted to stand, but I kicked at his knee, which caused him to crumble back down.

“Fuck Howlett!” He roared in part anger and part pain.

“Yer a sick fucker Blue, ya know that dontcha?” I spoke as I reached into my pocket and pulled out my leather gloves and then pulled them on my hands, all the while Blue watched my hands nervously.

“Hey that kid approached me man.” Blue said as he looked wildly about the small bathroom for a possible escape route and when he found none he stared longingly at the door.

“And what about the little girl, did she approach you too?” I asked him and for a brief moment his eyes filled with panic and in that moment I knew this piece of shit had sent that little girl to whatever torture she endured and his had been the hands to topple the dominos that ended in her death.

“What little girl?” He asked with a cocky smile and I just had to hit him and I did, as blood shot from his mouth and out on my shoe, which I lifted to wipe against his fur coat.

“Don’t fuck with me Blue I know ya had something to do with selling a little girl, about seven, Asian, tortured and now dead. Ya fucked up got messy this time, didn’t clean up after yer self. Now I want to know who ya sold her to.”

“Fuck you Howlettya got nothing on me, and I aint tellin you nothing so you can kiss my black ass. Arrest me and my lawyer will have me out within the hour and have charges up on your for police brutality.” He said with a bloodied mouth and he was right and I knew it and he knew I knew it, if I had had any plans on taking him in at all, which I hadn’t.

“I aint takin ya in Blue,” I said calmly as I looked down at his expression and could see he didn’t know what to make of this. “I’m just gonna stomp tha shit outta you til you tell me what I want to know.”

“I told ya Howlett I aint telling ya a goddamn thing, now I might tell yer partner, that’s some very sweet ass there, big improvement over yer last one,” Blue taunted and I could feel myself lose it a bit, but I fought to keep my control. “Heard they had to have a closed casket, poor fucker took one to the face huh?” He chuckled and I lost my fight and began to pound and stomp on Blue, now there’d be another closed casket.

~~~~

I hurried back out to the car where Munroe sat with the kid in the back hoovering a couple of hotdogs they must have gotten from the vender on the corner. I started up the car and peeled out, not saying a word, and after a couple of blocks Munroe turned to me.

“So did Blue give you anything?”

“Naw,” I replied short and sweet. “And I don’t think he ever will.” I added this truth as I stared straight ahead and continued to drive on, and for the remainder of the trip in silence.
Chapter 4 by Pari
Hours Later, back at the Precinct:

“There’s been another murder,” Captain Harada said from the doorway of his office and all eyes looked up at him. “Summers you and Worthington take this one.”

“Jesus, not another kid.” I hear Summers grumble and He pretty much captured the thoughts in all our heads. I eyed him a second longer, enviously for he was married to Red, whom I was sure was the only woman for me. Summers, or Slim as he’s also called, he and I have never gotten close over the years, never really got to know each other. He’s never done a damn thing to me except met Jean first and married her, besides that he was a damn good detective, too good always making sure the I’s were dotted and the T’s crossed, A true ass kisser who wasn’t even aware that he was one.

“Nope, its our old buddy Blue,” The Captain replied and my eyes instantly shot to Munroe’s, whose instantly shot to the Captain’s and then slowly to where I sat at my desk right across from hers. When she locked eyes with me I could she her clamp her mouth shut, so tight her jaws seemed to twitch. ‘Ata girl, Rory, just keep that pretty mouth shut’, I thought to myself and prayed I conveyed it through my eyes. “Guess he tried to pimp the wrong person and they stomped him a new asshole.”

“We’re actually wasting manpower for that piece of shit?” Worthington asked even as he stood from his chair and began putting on his coat. Warren Worthington III had been on the force for twelve years though he looked fresh out of the academy. He came from ‘old’ money which he explained meant money passed down from generation to generation made off the backs of others, and he tried hard as hell to hide that fact from people. Even going so far as to donated his entire inheritance to charities, dumb fuck. He wasn’t the type of guy I’d hang out with, invite over or share deep shit with, but I didn’t mind working with him cause I knew he had my back in any situation and never ever questioned my tactics, just gave me backup, and for me that’s an ideal partner.

“Jimmy,” Harada called out capturing my attention again and I turned and threw him a questioning look over my shoulder. “I want you and Munroe to head over to 12, there should be file waiting there for you of cases in the past eight months; unsolved mutilation/murders of children. I’m willing to bet at least one of them fits ours to the tee.”

“And I aint had supper yet,” I mumbled as I stood up throwing a glance at Munroe as she did the same, I took note of the fact that she still had her mouth clamped shut. We walked out in silence until we got into the car. “So ya wanna grab something on the way, best we eat before we go through those files, some of that shit will make you lose your appetite.” I asked casually as she sat with her arms folded across her chest while she stared out the window. After a seconds pause she turned to me to give what I thought would be an answer to my question.

“I suppose I should thank you,” Munroe stated and I made no attempt to try to find the meaning in what she was saying. “I mean at least you waited until I had left the room before you killed Blue.”

“Now wait a minute darlin, who the fuck said I killed Blue? Did ya see me kill him. No ya didn’t,” I questioned and answered not giving her an opportunity to reply. “So ya don’t know what yer talking about and ya’d best keep yer fuckin mouth shut.”

“Or what, you’ll kill me too?” She asked leaning in my face a bit, which made me take note of two things, one she had bigger balls then most guys I know to pop off in my face like that, and two she was a very beautiful woman, which made my mind wander on why the hell she decided to become a cop in the first place. “I didn’t sign on for this shit Jimmy, I had heard rumors about this Precinct but I didn’t believe it but I guess it was all true; the bribes, stealing, narcs, and murders.”

“Hey I aint no Narc, and if it aint mine I don’t touch it, and I aint never taken a bribe in my life, so don’t come at me with that Ms. Righteous.” I nearly growl out at her and I started up the car and moved out.

“Ok, and what about murders, you’ve never murdered anyone?” She asked looking at me with a cocky expression almost gloating at me, probably thinking she’s catch me up in something.

“I’m a cop darlin, comes with that territory, aint you ever murdered someone in the line of duty?”

“No, I’ve shot and killed in self defense and for the saftey of others, but I have never committed murder.”

“Oh so you think that makes a difference?” I asked her and now I’m gloating.

“It does.” She answered.

“You believe in God?” I throw at her and she bunches her brow in confusion to my question and so I repeat it for her. “Well, do you believe in God?”

“Yes of course I do,”

“And you think it makes a difference to him why you kill, whether it be cold-blooded or in self defense? From what I recall of the Bible it states that Thou shalt not kill, and I didn’t see the small print that said, but it’s ok if it’s in self-defense. So its all the same darlin.” She stared at me for a moment but said nothing, I could tell she was trying to think of a way to make my words wrong but was failing in the task, so she sighed heavily and turned her head to stare out the window once more.

“Did you kill Blue Jimmy?” She asked plainly and with such sincerity I told her what she really wanted to know.

“No darlin, I didn’t kill him I thought about it, really wanted to but it’s not my case.” I lied.
Chapter 5 by Pari
Here it was going on 2:30 am and Munroe and I were still at the 12th precinct going through the files. The pictures that accompanied the folders were enough to turn an iron stomach sour, but Munroe didn’t seem to be fazed, I could tell that what she saw upset her, but more than that it angered her, and anger was great motivation. I personally found revenge to be the best motivation, but anger was good too.

“I think we should take a break.” Munroe suggested as she pushed her chair back from the table and then rubbed her eyes. “All these reports are starting to tell the same story.”

“Yeah, and so far none fits the profile of our case.” I said as I raised my arms above my head and rolled my neck, filling the room with the sound of my popping joints.

“Well I wouldn’t go that far, some had similar mutilations.” Munroe said and I had to shake my head at her in disagreement.

“Naw, darlin they really don’t.” She arched her brow at me and I could tell it was her way of telling me to explain my theory, not something I generally did with anyone, but what the hell I’d give it a shot. “Don’t get me wrong all these cases show that these kids died in a terrible way and that the fuckers who did these things, are twisted and deserve ten times worse. But look at these pictures,” I said as I tossed her the one I had just been looking at. “That little girl had her head and fingers chopped off, and this one,” I toss another one I had already read through. “She was stabbed 87 times. Now with that first one the mutilation was a cover up, without the head and or finger we can’t use dental impressions and fingerprints to identify the body, which is going to make it virtually impossible to find the killer, and that one.” I nodded to the picture Munroe was holding. “That one was about anger, hatred, resentment maybe, what Red would classify as a crime of passion, he was out of control. Neither fits our guy, for him it aint about trying to hide or anger, he’s cool and in complete control. In fact I’m beginning to think he has no real reason for doing it other than simply because he can…as crazy as that sounds.”

“He’s detached.”

“Ok what the fuck does that mean?”

“He has no emotional attachments, like you said he’s not doing it for any particular reason, at least not the classical reasons like, sexual gratification, anger, fear of being caught, rage. It’s hard to place our guy in the ‘normal’ textbook categories of a killer. That being said, where do we go from here? How do you profile someone who doesn’t fit any profile? What kind of person kills just because?”

“David Kelly” I said, Munroe’s little speech reminded me of another case of murder and mutilation that came across my desk a couple of years back.

“Who?”

“It was a case I had a few years ago, two little girls found in a man made pond in Albany. They’d been tortured, mutilated, and then dumped. Just like our boy now, the guy who did it didn’t fit the typical profiles, there didn’t seem to be a motive and the only thing the girls had in common were their age and that they were at the same dumpsite. The cases went unsolved for nearly a year, until a routine traffic stop bust it all open. A patrolman stopped a car that was speeding turns out the driver was Senator Kelly’s teenage son. He had a little girl in the car with him, but had told the officer it was his cousin or some shit like that, and the patrolman didn’t question it, didn’t even give the prick a ticket, and just let him go. A couple of weeks later there was another little girl found floating in the same pond, after she was identified and her picture was posted on our evidence board, that patrolman remember her. She was the same little girl riding with the Senator’s son. We brought him in for questioning and he admitted not only to killing her but the other two little girls’ as well. The sick bastard was cocky with it all, boasting about it, convinced that he had amnesty, not knowing that only applied to foreign ambassadors and their families. He did it because he thought even if he got caught he was going to get off.”

“So, maybe who we’re looking for is someone with the same ideas.” Munroe said with a slight smile and I could see I had impressed her.

“Maybe someone affiliated with a foreign embassy, or even a political refugee, but seeing how these murders just started I’d say he’s new to the area, but not new to the game. What he did to that little girl, I’ve no doubt he’s done it before somewhere else.” Munroe nodded her head in agreement.

“So what’s the next move?” She asked, now wide eyed and fully awake, not even a hint of the exhaustion she was showing just moments before.

“Get a list of all the ambassadors and political refugees with asylum that we have here in town. Shouldn’t be a very long list.”

~~~~

“Gotdamn, we got aliens from every fucking place in the world.” I say in frustration as we sat going through the new files, which were several boxes filled with folders. “Why the hell are they all coming here, aren’t there other places in the US they could infest.”

“What, you have a problem with foreigners Jimmy?” Munroe asked and I could see that disapproving look in her eyes, I noticed she had that look a lot around me, not that I gave a shit, never did when it came to what other thought of me.

“I’m just proud ta be an American, and I think this would be a better place if America stayed pure, and kept all the foreigners out.”

“Hmm, so you think we should give all the land and control back to the Native Americans, since they’re the only ‘pure’ Americans here?” She said with a cocky look on her face and there wasn’t a damn thing I could say…uppity bitch.
Chapter 6 by Pari
She had known that it was a bad idea to get into the fancy car, alone. That was the first rule of the streets she had been told, ‘Never, ever get into a car, especially not alone.’ But the smell of the burger in the paper bag with the greasy bottom, which sat on the car seat, had made her lose all reason. Her hunger at gotten the better of her, and she got into the fancy car. She hadn’t protested one bit not even after she had finished the burger, and with a full belly she had seemed to relax a bit. She grew even more at ease as the fancy car pulled in front of a mansion. Maybe these were rich people looking for a kid to take in as their own, she thought. So, she continued being compliant and she didn’t protest as the driver took her hand and walked her to the side of the house and not up the front door steps. She didn’t ask any questions as they walked down into the cellar like structure, up and down different corridors within the dark underground maze. And when the journey ended in a small room with no windows that seemed to only house a chair in the middle of the room with a huge spotlight over top, which illuminated only the chair and shadowed everything else in the room. Now the nervousness flutter in her belly as the driver released her hand and moved back through the only doorway to the small room, closing it behind him. When she heard the click of the lock, only then did the panic hit.

“Don’t be afraid little one.” A male voice called out from the shadows and she twirled around trying to peer into the darkness to find the man. “What is your name?”

“A…Amanda.” She answered truthfully.

“And how old are you Amanda?” The voice continued interrogating.

“Eight.”

“Such a young age to be wondering the streets all alone, where are your parents?”

“I don’t know.” She whispered this reply.

“I can help you find them,” The man said and Amanda’s eye lit up.

“You can?” She asked her heart suddenly filling with hope.

“Yes, but first you have to do something for me.”

“O…ok.”

“That’s a good girl, I could tell you’d be good from the second I saw you. Now, take off your dress.” She froze as she hugged herself tightly, suddenly understanding why there was that rule of never getting into cars with strangers, alone. “Its ok, Amanda we have to get you cleaned up before you see your parents, you don’t want them to see you so messy do you?” She shook her head no, for she really didn’t want that. It had been a worry of hers since she had been abandoned on the streets, that if she did find her parents again that they wouldn’t recognize her behind all the dirt or that they wouldn’t want her if they ever saw her so filthy. Amanda slowly unbuttoned her dress. “That’s a good girl Amanda, such a sweet baby doll. I’m gonna take such good care of you, I promise.”




“Well it was a good idea.” Munroe said as we headed into our precinct, having spent our night going over file after file of possible suspects. “Get some rest and start fresh in the morning?”

“Munroe,” I said just as we reached our desks. “It is morning.” At my words her eyes widened a bit and then flew to the nearby clock on the wall.

“Goddess, it’s already 7.”

“Hey you two,” Captain Harada spoke as he walked by heading to his office. “Aren’t you two here a little early?” He asked turning as he got to the doorway of his office.

“Never clocked out Cap,” I say as I lean back in my chair and perched my feet up on my desk. “We thought we had a lead.”

“And?” Captain Harada said looking at Munroe.

“It was too many files to read through in one night, it’s going to take a little more time.”

“Well it’s gonna have to wait.” His words got our attention as we stared at him waiting for him to say the words. “There’s been another one, heard it on my way in. If you’re dead on your feet I can send Summers…”

“Fuck that, I’m fine.” I lied but wasn’t about to let Mr. boy scout fuck with my case.

“I’m ok too.” Munroe backed me up. “But is it ok if we make a pit stop for some coffee on the way?” She threw to me and I nodded, I could use a cup of Joe myself.

“Fine, but I want those reports first thing in the morning, I want you two to head straight home once you’ve cleared the scene, to get some rest.”

“Right,” I mumbled as we grabbed our coats and headed back out. I was pretty sure there was no way in hell I was gonna be able to sleep especially if this scene was anything like the last one.




Even with the pit stop it took us only ten minutes to make the scene, and we nearly got plowed over by an ambulance speeding away.

“What the fuck was that?” I spoke out to no one in particular but the officer closest to me replied.

“That’s the little girl, she was definitely left for dead, but she was still breathing when we arrived.”

“Then we should meet them at the hospital,” Munroe said as she reopened the car door.

“Naw, I think yous might want to stick around.”

“What the fuck for?” I asked and the officer pointed to the left of where we stood and we both looked to find a couple of officers surrounding a bum in cuffs. “Who’s that?”

“Our only suspect or witness, we found him inside the little girl.”

“He’s our perp?” Munroe asked as she stared at the man in disgust.

“We don’t know, she was very badly mutilated just like the others, I think this guy found her, saw she was easy picking and had a little fun before we caught him.” I must of blacked out for a second, don’t know if it was from the sudden rage inside of me or from lack of sleep, but once my mind focused again I found myself being restrained by Munroe and another officer, while we stood over the officer we had been speaking to, who laid on the ground cupping his nose as blood gushed between his fingers.

“Come on Jimmy lets go,” Munroe spoke gently as she pulled me away and back to our car.

“Where?” I asked as I rubbed my sore knuckles.

“I think we should go to the hospital first, and then we should head home to get some rest like the Captain said.”

“What, no fuckin way we got a suspect we need to interrogate him,” I nearly roared and fought the urge to clock Munroe in the face.

“With the way you’re acting right now I don’t think that’s going to get us anywhere, you’ll most likely beat that guy to death and we’ll never get anything from him. Granted Officer brown had little tact, but I think he’s right with what he said. That bum probably happened onto the scene after the girl had already been dumped. He probably thought he was raping a corpse; hell he’s probably so drunk he didn’t know what he was doing. So, lets go see the little girl, get some rest, which will give you time to calm the fuck down and allow him to sober up.”

“Fine, I hissed out through gritted teeth as I sped off. I knew she was right on all counts, but I would be damned if I ever told her that.
Chapter 7 by Pari
I knew from the moment he walked into the interrogation room, this guy was not our perp. I had been itching to be on the other side of the glass, but Captain Harada shot that ideal down, now I realize that was a good call. I would have beat the hell out of that guy, and Munroe had been right, this guy was so drunk off his ass he didn’t know what he was doing. But I still wanted to hurt him; because he was something tangible in this case that is besides the little girl who was fighting for her life. This bum didn’t know nothing and after spending another night in jail a night I’ll make sure he gets it as good as he gave that little girl he’ll be released.




“You want to talk about it?” Her voice broke through my train of thought and I stared up into her sparkling green eyes.

“Nope,” I answered.

“Then why are you here Jimmy?”

“Captain’s orders.” She released a heavy sigh.

“Ok then,”

“Jeannie, please I don’t want a talk I just want…”

“To sleep with me.” She said curtly and I’m not even shameful enough to attempt to deny it. “Jimmy, I’m married.”

“Yeah you keep saying that.” I said as I stood moving around the desk and then leaned against it, right at her side. I picked up a picture of her and the Boy Scout, which was proudly displayed on her desk.

“I can’t hurt Scott.”

“Yeah you keep saying that too.” I replied as I reached out and grasped a lock of her soft red hair, which she had curled today.

“Then why do you insist…” She began to ask but I cut her off.

“Because you haven’t said ‘no’, which leads me to believe you want to.” I said this as I moved closer to her, leaning into her personal space. “Do you want to Jeannie?” I spoke in a near whisper as I allowed my lips to graze her ear lobe. I feel her shiver and hear a slight moan leave her lips. “Come on Jeannie no one has to know, I’m not looking for anything long-term here I just want…”

“A fuck.” She finished, not the exact words I was gonna use, but it was right on point.

“I’ll make it good for you.”

“Get out,” She hissed out and as I leaned back to take in her face I can see she’s pissed. “Get the fuck out of my office, Detective Howlett.”

“What, what did I say?”

“I’m not some conquest, I won’t be your wham bam thank you ma’am.”

“Wait a minute you’re pissed because I just want ‘a’ fuck.” I asked with a chuckle. “Because there’ll never be roses and romantic dinner, just meeting in seedy places for a good romp. Jesus Jeannie, you’re married remember, and you keep saying how happy you are, so I figured whatever we did you didn’t want to get out. You’d want to keep on the down low” The darkening of her face told me I was hitting a nerve.

“I am married, Jimmy. Happily married which is why this will never happen, and also why I’m going to refer you to another Psychiatrist.”

“Oh give me a fucking break Princess, don’t act like you weren’t into it, like you don’t want it.”

“What I want is for you to leave, right now.” She said as she stood and moved around the desk to pull open her office door.

“Fine,” I spoke as I yanked up my coat and stalked through the door. “Frigid bitch,” I throw at her as I walked out.




“Hey, how did it go with the Doc?” Munroe greeted me as I seated myself at my desk.

“Don’t ask.” I mumbled.

“That good huh?” She added with a chuckle. “I was waiting on you, wanted to head over the hospital, the little girl’s awake.” Hot damn, finally a break.

“Well, let’s go.”




“You don’t like Hospitals I take it,” Munroe states as we enter the elevator.

“I hate hospitals, I can’t think of ever having a good experience at one, maybe the day I was born though my parents would probably disagree with that. Hospitals just remind be that there is no God.”

“Surely you do not believe that.” Munroe said and I think I’ve actually stunned her with my proclamation.

“Damn if I don’t, if there is a God he’s a sadistic bastard.”

“Jimmy, no need to blasphemous.” Munroe said as she hurried from the now open elevator doors.

“I’m blasphemous, no sweet cakes, that’s blasphemous,” I say as I point towards the glass where the little girl lay on the other side, bruised and battered. “That’s telling me that God doesn’t give a fuck.”

“Jimmy God has a reason for everything, even if we don’t understand it.” Munroe continued to defend.

“I don’t want to know his reasoning for that.” Again I point at the little girl. “He can keep that shit to himself, and you can keep your beliefs about him to yourself. And I’ll try to keep my loathing of him to a minimum, but I make no promises on it.” Munroe simply nodded her head and we silently entered the room, where a social worker stood holding the little girl’s hand. When she noticed us the social worker moved to meet us at the door, only to have the little girl grasp her hand more tightly and cry out a bit. The lady leaned down a bit and whispered to the girl and whatever she said calmed her enough that she released the woman’s hand, and allowed her to meet us at the door.

“Hello, I’m Raven Darkholme, I’m with child services.” She greeted with her hand extended and all I seemed to notice was her striking red hair. When I didn’t speak or move to shake her hand Munroe spoke.

“Hello I’m Detective Munroe, and this is my partner Detective Howlett. How is she?”

“Better than expected under the circumstances. There’s not an inch on her body that wasn’t battered, and that’s externally and internally.”

“Can she speak?”

“Yes, but only in a whisper and only for a short period at a time. I have told her that the police were coming to speak with her, to ask her some questions. But please make it brief and Detective Howlett I’ll have to ask that you not to speak. Her eyes are swollen shut so she can’t see you but she gets very agitated whenever she hears a male’s voice.” I only nodded my head, I hadn’t plan on saying anything anyway, and hell I didn’t know what to say.


“Amanda,” Ms. Darkholme called out as we approached the bed. And when the little girl turned towards the voice we got a good look at her swollen and broken face. When I see the look on Munroe’s face I had to gloat a bit, yeah where’s your God now? “Sweetie the police have come to ask you some questions, remember I told you they were coming?”

“Yes,” A tiny voice squeaked out and it seemed as if it caused her such pain to even form the simple word.

“Good, sweetheart, you are so brave,” Ms. Darkholme said as she gently stroked the girl’s stiff hair which was bloodied from the still seeping wound on her head. “This is Detective Munroe and she’s just going to ask you some questions, but if you don’t want to answer or you can’t remember you just say so ok?”

“Yes ma’am.” At this Ms. Darkholme nodded to Munroe.

“Hi Amanda, I’m detective Munroe but all my friends call me Rory, so I‘d like you to call me Rory, because I hope we can be friends. Would that be ok?

“Yes ma’am, I mean Rory.”

“Good, now sweetie I’m just going to ask you a few question and just like Ms. Darkholme said, if you don’t want to answer them you don’t have to. Amanda do you know the person who did this to you?”

“No,” She replied her voice trembling a bit, and I silently cursed the fact that we had to do this to her.

“Do you remember what he looked like, where you were?”

“It was dark, he said he would help me find my mommy and daddy. I shouldn’t have gotten in his car, I’m sorry.” She said as she softly cried.

“Shhh, no sweetie, don’t cry this is not your fault. You didn’t do anything wrong baby. He was a bad man and we’re going to get him, I promise you, ok?” Munroe’s words had a calming effect on the little girl and me as well. For a second I saw the hatred and the bloodlust, and knew when we caught this fucker and I put a bullet between his eyes Munroe would back up any story I fabricated.

“I thought he was a nice man, he had a nice car and he lived in a big house. Rich people are suppose to be nice right?” These words got us all excited as we all looked at each other.

“You say he had a nice car and a big house, like a rich person? Do you remember what the car looked like or the house?”

“His car had an angel on it, I saw it when we got to his house. He drove with an angel on his car so I thought he was a nice man and he was going to help me.” These words really effected Munroe who I could tell was fighting back the tears.

“Ok sweetie just one last question, do you remember anything else; about the man or his house?”

“The gate, there was a big gate and it had a crooked cross on it. Please don’t let the bad man hurt me anymore, I’ll be a good girl from now on, please Rory.” This broke Munroe and damn near broke me so I left the room, and Munroe followed a few minutes later. She found me leaning against a nearby wall. We walked in silence to the elevator and all the way until we got into the car.

“I want this guy Jimmy, I want him bad.”

“We’ll catch him,” I reassured her as I started up the car.

“No,” Munroe said as she looked me square in the eyes. “When we do catch him, ‘I’ want him.” All I could do was nod.




“Piotr!” The man yelled out from his bed as he nervously flipped through the newspaper. When a giant of a man entered the bedchamber the man in the bed looked towards him. “There’s nothing in the newspapers, and nothing on the television,” The man huffed out in frustration as he crumbled the newspaper and tossed on the floor. “There should be some news by now, you did leave it where I told you to?”

“Yes, Professor. Do not worry someone will find her soon.”
This story archived at http://https://rolorealm.com/viewstory.php?sid=734