I don’t own the x-men. Please don’t sue.

[///////]=beginning and end of flashback



Ororo lay in bed for hours, trying to rest and get Logan out of her head. He was gone again and she would just have to deal with it.

“I should really be used to this by now.” Ororo thought as she climbed out of bed and opened her large bedroom windows. “Ever since he decided to be a damned truck-driver, I hardly ever see him.”

Sitting on the windowsill with the wind blowing her silver hair around her head, Ororo remembered the afternoon Logan had first proposed his “great idea”. Back, before they were married. Back, to when they lived in a small apartment on the south side of Harlem.

///////“Ro, baby I’m home.” Logan hollered as he threw his leather jacket on the couch.

Ororo came around the wall that partially separated the kitchen area from the rest of the apartment.

“ Good Evening, dear…What in the world?” Ororo squealed as Logan embraced her and twirled her in circles.

“Honestly, Logan. Have you been drinking? You are never in this good of a mood after work.”

“Darlin’ I’m a free man. I never have to see that pompous asshole Victor Creed again for as long as I live.” Logan beamed with delight.

For the better part of three years, Logan had worked at a Magnus and Co. steel smelting plant. He worked all day and most nights before he met Ororo. When he’d started taking time off to spend with her, Victor Creed, his immediate superior, began giving Logan a hard time. He’d been threatening to fire Logan for about six months.

“Don’t tell me you did what I think you did Logan. Please don’t.” Ororo stated warningly.

“If you mean did I tell Creed exactly where to shove forty tons of melted steel, then yes I did.” Logan started doing a little jig as Ororo flopped down on the couch.

“Damnit, Logan. What the hell are we going to do about money. My nearly non-existent checks from waiting tables aren’t going to pay all the bills.” Ororo yelled.

“Calm down, babe. I was ready for this.” Logan said while pulling a small brochure from his jacket pocket and tossing it to Ororo. She flipped through it and shot him a strange look.

“Truck driving. You want to be a truck driver.” She questioned calmly.

“Why not?” Logan quickly replied. “Its great money, Ro. I’ll make thirty thousand dollars in the first year, which is a lot more than both of us make now. With that kind of cash, hell, we definitely won’t have to live here anymore.”

“Okay, that’s good, but I’ve heard some very unsavory things from truck drivers hanging around the diner late at night.” Ororo retorted.

“Yeah, well,… okay I’ll admit it, there is a certain amount of risk involved, but it’s no more dangerous than working back-to-back, fifteen hour shifts at the plant. And you never worried abut me then, did you?” Logan argued.

Ororo looked up at Logan with hurt in her eyes. “How can you stand there and say that. How could you make yourself say that to me, as much as I worried and complained and whined whenever you worked late.” She had tears welling up in her eyes.

“Jesus darlin, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say it like that. I meant that you never showed it even when you did worry about me.” Logan sat down and wrapped his arms around Ororo. “But either way, I’d be a lot happier out on the road instead of being cooped up in the damn plant all day.

“That’s understandable.” Ororo started “But you’d hardly ever get to spend any time with me. Is that really what you want Logan?”

Logan buried his nose in Ororo’s loose hair and continued. “Lord woman, it’s hard enough being away from you now, several weeks at a time is just gonna kill me.”

Just then a cold shudder ran up Ororo’s spine. “Several weeks?” She whispered.

Logan sighed. “Yeah, darlin’ Maybe even months.” Logan gently turned Ororo’s head until her eyes met his. “Are you okay with this?” He humbly asked.

Ororo stared at Logan for a moment and gently spoke. “Do you really want to do this?” she asked.

“I really do.” Logan replied. “But I won’t if you don’t want me to. You have just that much control over me, woman.”

Ororo smiled “And have you sulking around here every day, I don’t think so.”

“So this is okay with you?” Logan quickly asked.

“Will this make you happy?” Ororo asked in return.

“I hope so.” Logan replied.

Ororo leaned forward and kissed him deeply. “Then it’s okay with me.”///////

Ororo yawned and closed the window. “Hard to believe that was almost five years ago.” She reflected as she walked toward her bedroom door, stopping only to put on her bathrobe.

“Maybe a little TV will cure my insomnia.” Ororo thought as she began to walk downstairs.





You must login () to review.