Story Notes:
This is the short first chapter to a 3-parter I started; it provides background for the situation. I hope it makes sense and that you enjoy the idea at least.
“It looks like they’re getting younger.”

Looking up from his charts, Hank slid his glasses back up the bridge of his nose and looked over the group of X-Men staring at him; they all appeared understandably shaken. Hours earlier they arrived with two lifeless bodies from what was supposed to be an easy retrieval.

As it had been explained to him, the X-Men had suited up to collect a small group of children just coming into their powers; having known what it was like trying to survive the streets, Ororo made the decision to offer them a home.

However, upon arrival they were greeted by a crowd of weapon wielding bigots who had chased the children into a rusted warehouse that had been set ablaze. After making quick work of the unprepared men, they spent the next several minutes dousing flames and fishing youngsters out of the tiniest nooks in the building. They had almost been home free when Logan heard the cries of a young girl trapped behind one of the steel doors, without word he raced in their direction and after yelling instructions to prep the jet Ororo followed after him.

No one had seen the events of what happened next but the screams and blasting noises were enough to decipher a plausible story. The girl having feared that the men were after her once again, had screamed when Ororo and Logan came into view and acted on instinct. Holding out her arms, she unleashed her powers on the two senior members and knocked them to the ground.

From then on it had been a barrage of panic and hurried motions as the remaining X-Men rushed back to the mansion.

“Precisely.”

Still dressed in uniform, Kitty raised a questioning brow and glanced at Peter, Bobby and Rogue before crossing her arms. “What do you mean?”

“Our new friend Sabrina has the ability to revert individuals to their youth; the light blasts from her palms temporarily reconfigure the body and brain, making them both look and act as though they are back in the earlier stages of life.”

“So you’re saying that when they wake up…”

“They will be younger versions of themselves.”

Stunned by confusion and curiosity, they stood together and glanced out at the hospital beds where their leaders slept.

“That’s so…weird,” Bobby finally spoke up, turning to the furry doctor.

“Very,” Hank chuckled good-naturedly as he moved to his desk.

“So that means Logan’s gonna remember stuff from when he was a boy?”

“Excellent question my dear Marie, but I am afraid that assumption is false. From what she has observed, Sabrina has told me that the people who fall prey to her powers do not travel back in time nor are their memories or physical attributes affected permanently; instead it is as if they acquire a short bout of amnesia.”

“How long does it last?” The gentle giant at the far end spoke up.

“It could last hours or it could last days, there is no sure way of knowing.”

“How old're they gonna be?”

“It is impossible to calculate when they will stop growing backwards, we must simply wait out the process.”

Nodding in thoughtfulness, silence enveloped them for a time as they processed the information.

“If they turn back into babies, does that mean we’re going to have to feed and change them?”

Breaking into robust laughter, Hank wiped away the tears his amusement had conceived, “we will cross that bridge if necessary.”





You must login () to review.