Story Notes:
this story is mostly done, though I'm still doing some editing.
Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: Anything recognizable belongs to Marvel and/or the people/companies owning them. Please don't sue!
AUTHOR'S NOTE: ANYTHING in this story that's recognizable belongs to the companies and/or the people who own them, especially Marvel.
__________________________________________________________

The lake was a favorite spot for many, allowing for private time even if another person was in or near the waters. Dropping down on a log and lighting a cigar he’d been working his way through, he found the silence... Unwanted. He could think, and that was a dangerous thing. Whenever Logan became too quiet, everyone knew it was a bad thing, and recently, silence became another defining characteristic of the Wolverine. God, how he hated the title sometimes. He couldn’t have a regular fucking emotion without someone questioning it. Not that anyone did. It seemed everyone in the X Mansion knew why he’d become depressed.

Married. He never stood a chance, and he accepted that once he saw the rock Scooter put on her finger. He was many things, but he wasn’t about to step on another man’s territory when the woman made her choice loud and proud. The message was clear: Jeanie was marrying Scott. He stopped trying after that, there was no point. She was never meant to be his, solitude was a characteristic he was known for, after all.

But, Christ, if the damn thing didn’t bother him. Logan could make a woman happy, he knew it. Shaking his head, he wished for another life. One where he wasn’t so... him. He couldn’t be Scooter, but he wouldn’t mind trading up a little. Why did he have to be branded the bad boy? He wasn’t the greatest guy, but he wasn’t a fucking Sabretooth. But nobody noticed that. Nobody other than Jean.

She gave him a chance nobody ever gave him. She accepted him like she had everyone else, with a warm smile. Matter of fact, she was the first warm smile he’d seen in a long time, something he knew for a fact. But that was a problem. The same smile she gave him was shared with plenty others, from Kitty to Furball; he wasn’t special. The smile she gave Scott, that was the one he wanted. He wanted her to look at him with that... love. That was all. He wanted someone to love him. He wanted to be picked. To not be so lonely.

Vanilla, sandalwood, and rain filled the air, and Logan knew he wasn’t alone. He plucked his cigar from his mouth, snubbing it on his hand. Ororo hated the smell of smoking, finding it low. Just like how she saw him. A scowl became pronounced on his face; he didn’t have time for her diatribe. He rose to his feet, then paused. She was smiling at him.

“Oh, I apologize. I had no idea you would be out here,” she said, her voice soft. “I came out here to think, but I won’t intrude on your personal time.” She stepped back, her white hair softly fluttering in the new breeze. Her doing, he guessed.

Logan shrugged. “Plenty of space out here, no point in hogging it all to myself,” he responded, his voice flat. She wouldn’t be a bother, not really. He was done thinking, anyway.

Her tiny smile grew wider, and Ororo approached him. She paused, then pointed to his cigar. “Would you like a light?” she offered. She laughed at his expression, causing him to scowl in retribution. Ororo moved forward, shaking her head, moving her long, white locks. “Despite what you may think, I have no real problems with your smoking. It’s when you do it inside the school do I complain.” He placed the chewed piece back in his mouth, then leaned towards her. Snapping her fingers, she channeled enough electricity to burn the end. It promptly began smoldering.

He puffed a few times, then scooted over on the rotting log he’d been perched on. Without thanking her, he raised a brow. “And when we’re on the jet?”

Ororo raised a mocking brow, “You don’t think it’s rude to smoke in confined spaces? What if I had asthma?”

Logan rolled his eyes. “Bullshit. Kitty I’d believe, but not you.”

An amused look crossed her brow. “Really? And why is that?” she asked, her tone light. She dropped down beside him, making sure to focus a breeze to blow the smoke away, but never strong enough to snub out his light.

Logan tipped his head. Huh, why did he refuse to believe she had asthma? It wasn’t like she lied or anything-- her scent never changed-- but it wasn’t believable. Ororo have asthma? It was like saying monkeys grew green fur; you didn’t have to see it to know it was a lie, and it was so laughably false there was no point in arguing it. So he didn’t. Instead, he asked a question. “What brings you out to the lake?”

Ororo smiled and placed her chin in her palm. She shrugged her dainty shoulders and looked over the lake. “I was looking for some solitude. It’s nice being in the mansion, but it often gets too crowded. I wished to clear my mind of... recent thoughts.”

Logan furrowed his brow. He had no idea what to make of that, but he knew better than to pry. Her plight was relatable, however. He’d come to the lake to be alone, and he got just that. Only... His thoughts caught up to him, and his head was swimming from their noise. “I’m sure they’ll go away,” he offered. Platitudes weren’t his thing, but she was being amicable. In a weird way, him being nice was thanks for her lighting his cigar and not bothering him.

Ororo chuckled, then faced him, her blue eyes twinkling. “Do you even believe that?”

Damn. She caught him on his bullshit. Logan smirked and looked back over the lake, but only for a second. He faced her gaze and shook his head. “Not really. But then again, my thoughts are probably darker than yours.”

Ororo matched his smirk. “Geez, Wolverine, do you always have to be involved in a pissing contest, or should I find my ruler?” she joked.

Logan grinned-- actually grinned. That was unexpected. Someone was full of surprises this evening. “I don’t usually start ‘em, but if there’s one going on...” he trailed off. Puffing his cigar, he cast an exaggerated glance to her lap and rolled his eyes. “I think I’ve beat you in length, darlin’.”

Ororo laughed, the husky sound making his mood lift. She calmed, crossed her arms under her ample chest and gave a mock glare. “How dare you! If I were a man, I bet mine would be just as impressive as yours.”

Logan waggled his eyebrows, chewing on his cigar. “Impressive, huh?”

Ororo gently shoved him, and refolded her arms. “Those jeans you wear are honestly too tight. I’d take you shopping, but you don’t seem like the type to enjoy such an outing.” Ororo looked back over the lake, a soft smile quickly becoming a permanent fixture on her face.

Logan wasn’t done ribbing her just quite yet. He was having way too much fun to take the bait she’d set for him. He nudged her arm, trying to get her attention. “And how long have you been looking at my ass, darlin’?”

Ororo’s eyes widened, her dark cheeks becoming slightly darker. Backing away, she placed her hands on her hips. “Logan!” she sputtered, “Must you be so crass?”

He snickered. “You started it. Like I said, I don’t always start ‘em, but if there’s one going on--”

“I did not start! I was merely stating a fact, something that cannot be misconstrued for anything of that sort. Goddess, Logan, you are too sexual in nature,” she sputtered, her cheeks becoming darker and darker by the second. She covered her face and groaned in frustration. “New topic! New topic!”

Logan chuckled, then puffed on his cigar, allowing them to lapse into silence. Who knew the Weather Witch could be so funny? But then again, she had the biggest fan club, right behind Wheels. Everyone in the mansion loved her, and he was beginning to see a little of why. The cold woman wasn’t actually cold! “Do ya like it?” he pressed, laughing at the responding squeal and head shake. “No? Then I’ll have to do more squats to impress you.” A strong breeze pushed him from the log, causing him to laugh harder. He patted the dirt from his shoulders and settled back beside her, slighter closer than before. “Fine, I’m done. No more jokes, though I do have some new information to consider.”

Ororo groaned and lifted her head, running her hand through her silvery mane. That blasted man, she thought. Ororo graced him with a smile, then faced the water. Once again, the silence fell upon them, and nothing about it felt awkward. If anything, it was nice to be around someone without having to talk. Talking without purpose, mindless chattering, and polite conversation were things Ororo and Logan frowned upon. Everything had to mean something, and it was a shame they had to engage in it so often. But out here? They could be quiet. Their thoughts could reign supreme with another presence.

“Ro?”

“Hm?” she responded, her thoughts becoming hazy. “Yes, Logan?”

“How’d you know I didn’t mean what I said? From earlier,” he clarified. It wasn’t necessary, she already knew.

Ororo shrugged, her eyes never straying from the sparkling water. “I dunno. You only said it for my benefit, and I... Well, I wasn’t really looking for a platitude, if anything at all. Besides, you are far deeper than common phrases.” She tipped her head, considering the dusky colors spanning the sky. Sunset was always so lovely.

Logan furrowed his brow. She thought he was deep? Nobody ever considered him deep, not even Jeannie. At best, people thought he was crazy. And hell, maybe he was. Whenever he spoke, nobody took credence in his words, with the exception of Marie and Charles. Everyone else considered it token advice, even Colossus, and he revered Wolverine. Maybe that was it. They considered Wolverine a value, but never Logan. Logan was the crazy one, Wolverine was the star.

A light hand on his arm broke him of his reverie. She nodded her head back towards the house. “It’s getting late, and the children are probably wondering where we are.”

He shook his head. “They’re wondering where you are.” He plucked his cigar from his mouth, bringing it to his palm. She sent a breeze to it before it could burn his hand. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.” Ororo stood, then offered a dainty brown hand to him. He took it, not really needing help standing. He dwarfed her at his height, his bulky size making him even more intimidating, but he was never clunky on his feet. Ororo considered him agile. She walked towards the house, her long skirt whispered in the grass. “They do wonder, you just do not realize it.”

Logan shrugged, not really believing her. He knew Marie cared, and Jubilee did, too. Everyone else? Nah. They weren’t all Wolverine fans. The younger kids were plum scared of him. It was honestly kind of funny, seeing them pale when he scowled at them. Of course Charles reprimanded him for it, but something told him the old guy thought it was funny, too.

The second they stepped inside, Ororo was swept up in a cloud of young faces. They clamored for her, begging for her attention. And just like that, Logan was alone again.


Chapter End Notes:
reviews are appreciated



You must login () to review.