Story Notes:
originally posted on FFnet with drabbles about other xmen. I've decided to take the RoLo ones and put them up here.
Author's Chapter Notes:
originally posted as parts of a series of drabbles about other xmen, I decided to take the RoLo ones and share them here. enjoy!
It Might Be You
(Stephen Bishop)

if I found the place,
would I recognize the face?
something's telling me it might be you.


---

The life he led was a lonely one. Harsh, but it was true. From as far as he could remember, he'd never had any delusions about meeting some girl, getting hitched, settling down... Nah, that life - it wasn't his to live. And for a long time, he'd believed that. Hell, he'd believed it so firmly that he was sure that if, by some bizarre chance, love ever found him, he wouldn't recognize it even if it hit him in the face.

It was the same for her, he knew. At first he'd thought it was because she thought there wasn't a man alive worthy of her. Later he would think that maybe it was because she just intimidated most men away without even meaning to. It took him some time to realize that even if those weren't necessarily true, it didn't mean she wasn't lonely, or that she wished it wasn't the case. Years later, after he got to know her better, she'd tell him that it was fine. She had more important things to live for and fight for now. It didn't matter.

(It was a damn shame, he thought then, that a woman like 'Ro should ever have to trade hoping to find love for fighting for the damned Dream.)

Maybe that was why it took them so damn long to get their act together, he thought distantly. Maybe that was why they didn't see it coming. They'd both given up on love for so long, been so resigned to their respective lives of solitude that they hadn't seen it creeping up on them until neither of them could deny what was so plainly staring them in the face any longer.

And now Ororo stood before him with her hands clasped together, awaiting his answer with tentative hope in her eyes. Of course it would hit her first, and of course she'd take the initiative. She'd always been the smarter and stronger one of the two of them, even when neither of them took to facing their feelings so easily.

He shook his head and wanted to laugh at the picture the two of them must have made, and at how much time they must have wasted just dancing around each other.

Well, whatever. They'd wasted enough time as it was - he wasn't going to keep her waiting anymore.





You must login () to review.