Author's Chapter Notes:
* * means talking telepathically
I've been called many things in my life. Some names were good. Some names were bad. Some names...well lets just say ya wouldn't use them around polite company. With each of those names comes a story. Some long. Some short. Some so fuckn' horrible that they would make a priest challenge his belief that there is a god.

Those names, those stories, seem a life time ago. I have a new life now. And with this new life comes a new job. A job that I would have never in a million freak'n years taken if not for certain circumstances. (Which I will get to in few) And what is this new job ya ask? Get ready cause it's doozie.

Here's a hint. I'm now the long arm of the law. I serve and protect. That's right folks...

I'm a police officer. Aint that a bitch?!

How did I get (dragged) into this line of work?
Charles and his god damn dream that's how. Can ya believe that it? The shit finally came true.

All it took for it to happen... was for me and the other X-Men ta almost get blown ta kingdom come.
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
5 years ago

“Cyclops, are you sure we have the right information?” Storm asked while piloting the Blackbird towards their destination.

“Yeah, it looks like we are heading towards the middle of no where.” Shadowcat said from her seat.

“These are the numbers Beast and the Professor gave me. I checked three times. And if you are going to have a secret installation, wouldn't you want it in the middle of no where?” Cyclops said to Shadowcat while going over the data on the nav screen in front of him.

“He's got ya there Kit Kat.” Rogue said winking at her best friend.

A beeping sounds from the nav computer let everyone know they were within two miles of their location. After a few adjustments to the controls Storm started to make her descent.

It didn't take long for them to reach the coordinates and when they did they almost missed it.

“So where is it?” Cyclops asked.

“There.” Storm pointed.

“Damn. You can see why they picked this place. It's isolated and by the looks of that forest it's not easy to get to.” Cyclops said.

Isolated was an understatement, Storm thought. Who ever picked this spot made sure that no one was going to find what was going on out here. Anything resembling civilization was a not even a stones throw away.

The closet thing to it was a town at least 60 miles away. In between the building and the town was what looked to be a very thick and unforgiving forest. So even if some poor soul made it out of.. what ever this place was.... and somehow got threw the forest, they still had long run to freedom.

“Let's get a closer look. Storm, can you give us some cover? I want you to do pass around the building.”

“No problem.”

Cyclops watched as his friends eyes took on the familiar milky white color they always do when she lets her mutation go. Soon, the plane was covered in a thick fog.

Any other pilot would have a hell of time piloting through this pea soup but Storm made it look easy. She's the only one that he would trust to be able to pilot them through this safely.

“There is no way this can be it.” Storm said.

The outside of the building looked old like it had been abandoned for years. It also looked out of place. The building looked more like something built for an industrial area rather than out here in the middle of the country.

There were broken out windows and what looked to be graffiti from rival taggers all over the building. It was as if someone built it somewhere else then somehow transported the whole thing to this spot.

Nothing about this place is right, Storm thought.

“Are you picking up anything?” Cyclops turned towards Jean who was walking up behind him.

Jean opened her mind and began to scan the area. Immediately she felt something blocking her.

“There is definitely something or someone down there. As soon as I started my sweep I was bounced back.”

“Well, it sounds like we at the right place sugah? What's the plan?” Rogue asked.

Cyclops was about to answer when Wolverine beat him to it.

“Kick ass and take names. Same as always.” he shrugged.

“Gambit, always like dat plan.” he said while shuffling his cards.

“No. We do some recon first and see what's going down there.” Cyclops said with annoyance in his voice.

“And then...” Shadowcat said.

“No and then.” Cyclops said which caused Shadowcat and Rogue to burst into laughter.

“What? What's so funny?” Cyclops asked not knowing why they were laughing at him.

“Jesus Scooter, ya need to get out more. Even I got it and I'm more anti social then you.”

Jean kissed the back of Cyclops' head as she chuckled.

*I'll rent you the movie, honey. * she mentally sent to him as she strapped herself back in to her seat.

“Alright, now that you all have had a laugh at my expense, why don't we get down there and see what's going on. Storm can you locate a safe place for us to land?” Cyclops said trying to re-establish his command.

“Already on it. I found one of the only clear pieces of land out here large enough to land and conceal us. I doubt it's just a coincidence but right now I will take what I can get. We'll be there before you know it.” Storm programming the new landing coordinates in.

“So, what's the deal with this place anyway?” Wolverine asked.

“Weren't you listening during the briefing?” Shadowcat asked incredulously.

“Dat would be a no, cher.” Gambit said with a smirk.

“Can it Gumbo. I can't help it if Scooter's voice puts me ta sleep.”

“Fuck you, Logan.” Cyclops said.

“No thanks. I'm not inta guys. Ya better watch out there Jeannie, sounds like Scooter is switchin' sides.”

“I'm gonna come back there and kick your ass Logan.”

Snikt!

“Whatcha waiting for?” Wolverine snarled.

Before things could get started between them the Blackbird did a three sixty in the air.

“What the shit?! Storm!” Wolverine yelled. His stomach felt like it was still doing flip flops.

“Yeah, what gives?” Cyclops asked while getting his bearings back.

“Both of you are acting like adolescents.”

“Hey! I take offense to that. The adolescents were being good back here. Those two are acting like jerks.” Shadowcat said.

“I'm sorry, love. Kitten is right, you both are acting likes jerks. Wolverine you should have listened at the briefing.”

“See...” Cyclops started to agree when Storm turned her attention to him and stopped him in his tracks.

“And you Cyclops, should not be so easy to get a rise out of. This is neither the time, nor the place, for the usual foolish between you two. You're both grown men. Start acting like it! Now, do I have to do another three sixty or will you two behave?”she said raising a white eye brow at them. Daring one of them to challenge her.

Like two little boys that received a stern lecture from their mother they both relented.

“Sorry, Storm.” Cyclops said softly.

“Yeah, sorry darlin'. Won't happen again.”

“Good. Now, while I start to bringing this puppy in, Cyclops would you be so kind as to inform Wolverine again about what our mission is....again.”

“Sure.”

Jean wanted to giggle but held it in. Storm was the only person that could put both Scott and the mighty Wolverine in their place.

* Look at you being all, feisty. * Jean sent to Ororo. Failing miserably to stifle the giggling in her head.

Ororo chuckled back. * I did not mean to be. Sometimes those two....ugh.. *

* Can be dicks? *

*Jean! *

* Well it's true. *

*Why do we tolerate them? *

*It's simple. They're cute *

*Ha! Ha! I plead the 5th. *

*You're no fun. * Jean said sending a picture of her sticking her tongue out.

* Very mature. Now if you excuse me, I'm trying to land a plane here. *

*Yes ma'am. *

“So Wolverine, what did you hear in the briefing?” Cyclops asked.

“I heard blah, Brotherhood, blah blah kidnapping, blah blah blah, building will blow up.”

“That's all you heard?!” Shadowcat asked still not believing how the man who could literally hear a pin drop, failed to listen to people in the same room as him.

Wolverine shrugged again. “That's all I needed ta hear pumpkin. The highlights.”

This would not be the first time Cyclops was thankful for his ruby colored glasses. They hid the eye roll he just did at Wolverine's expense. Sometimes he thought that the adamantium had somehow seeped into Wolverine's brain.

“Oooook, short version. The Brotherhood are holding several children hostage. These children are from very prominent and affluent families that have been very vocal against mutant rights. The one leading the charge is Senator Michael Anderson. He's a piece of work. He's gone as far as saying that any woman that is or becomes pregnant with a mutant child should have an abortion and the father should sterilized.”

“So, the only reason why we are helping these pricks is because of the kids.” Wolverine said.

“Yeah. That and the Senator has had a change of heart recently when he found out both his son and new baby girl have the mutant gene.”

“Talk about ironic.” Jean said.

“I'm sure the part about his balls being sterilized had more ta do with his change of heart than irony, Red.”

“Mm hmm. When he found out his kids were taken he called Xavier personally and asked for his help to get them back. And....if we get them back safely we will have his full support in the Senate for mutant rights.”

“And, if we don git his bebe's back, we gon be even more on his shit list, no?” Gambit asked re-shuffling his cards.

“That sums it up.” Cyclops said.

“I still don't understand why the Brotherhood is doing this. I mean, they didn't even make any demands. They are kids and two of them are mutants. Their defenseless for gods sake!” Shadowcat said.

“Since when does anythin' the Brotherhood do make sense? They don't care who gets in tha way or who they hav' ta use or hurt ta get what tha want. In their eyes Kit Kat, we are all expendable. Ah got tha stripes ta prove it.” Rogue said touching her gray streaks.

Her streaks were an ever present reminder of just what lengths the Brotherhood would go through to get what they want accomplished.

“But dey be the prettiest stripes dis Cajun eva seen.” Remy said with a wink causing Rogue to blush.

“Rogue's right. The Brotherhood never needs a reason to cause mayhem and destruction. The Professor thinks and I agree, that no matter what, the Brotherhood are not going to let those kids leave that building alive.” Cyclops said.

Everyone got quiet at Cyclops'sobering last statement. They all knew too well that the Brotherhood was never afraid to make anyone, no matter what their age was, a martyr for their cause.

“Coming up on our destination. We'll be landing in about thirty seconds.” Storm said breaking the group from their grim thoughts.

“Thirty seconds everyone, look sharp.” Cyclops said.

As Storm was landing the Blackbird, Jean unstrapped herself to go lower the ramp.

“Let's get those kids and get then get the hell out of dodge.” Cyclops said.

“Can we kick ass and take names too?” Shadowcat asked bouncing on her toes like an excited five year old on Christmas morning.

“First we secure the kids. And then..... we kiss ass and take names.” Cyclops smirked.

“Yay!!!” she squealed.

“Gambit, t'ink you made the petite’s day.”

“When the shit hits the fan pumpkin, find me and we'll take some names together.” Wolverine said smiling a wolfish grin at her.

“You got it.”

With the Blackbird safely on the ground, Jean lowered the ramp and everyone fanned out and headed towards the forest.


Chapter End Notes:
If Gambit's accent is too much let me know.



You must login () to review.