Chapter 1

The attic loft was already dark, but he sat under the huge willow tree on Charles Xavier’s huge estate, which allowed him a perfect view of the loft’s balcony, pulling on one of his treasured cigars. He had been sitting and staring at her loft for the past hour, just as he had done for the past seven nights. The balcony doors were opened and he saw her shadow reflected by the light of the pale yellow moon as she stood there. He was surprised that the constant rain that plagued the area had stopped and not a single cloud could be seen in the night sky. He hoped that these were signs that she was beginning to come out of the funk she was in. She was the epitome of serenity and calmness under the façade she presented to the world. She hid it well, but he wasn't fooled. Not for one second. The sadness that permeated the air around her and the loneliness he frequently saw in her breathtaking azure eyes constantly broke his heart. Damn his heightened senses. This was something completely foreign to him when it came to his wind rider. In the eight years since he joined the elite X-Men, she had always been the confident, self-assured, intelligent, stunningly beautiful, powerful creature he’d come to know and love. What he beheld now was a woman who was simply existing and not living. She was a shell of her former herself. He hated seeing her this way, hated the way the weather was dismal as it reacted to its mistress’ melancholia and loneliness. Hell, he would give anything, even the adamantium on his bones to see that glorious smile return to her lovely face.

He thought back, trying to pinpoint when it all started. If his recollection was correct, it started roughly six months ago when she returned from visiting her relatives in Africa to be the maid of honor at Jean and Scott’s wedding. It was also around the same time that Rogue and Remy announced their engagement. That had to be it. The apparent branching out of her X-Men family to create families of their own had to be the reason why she has been reduce to the skeleton of existence she is now. He knew it wasn’t jealousy on her part. From what he knew about her, Ororo did not have a jealous bone in her body. The only logical explanation was that she was feeling unloved and unwanted. If only she knew that was far from the truth. If only she knew how much he loved, desired, needed and cherished her.

Logan was in love with Ororo, head over heels, deep as the deepest ocean, in love with her. He had secretly loved and admired her from the first moment he saw her, but believed that she could never see him as he saw her and that she deserved better than what he can give her. Coupled with the fact that everyone in the mansion portrayed her as the unattainable one, the forbidden fruit, he strongly believed he didn’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell with her. Knowing that she was far beyond his league, he reconciled himself to it and fought his love and desire for her like a man possessed. Intentionally flirting with the beautiful red-haired doctor Jean Grey, knowing in his heart of hearts that he never loved her and he was setting himself up for failure. He even went as far as insulting and picking fights with the other team members in the desperate hope that Ororo will become disgusted with him. His attempts at fighting his feelings for the ethereal wind rider were all in vain. He kept his secret well. No one knew and no one would ever guess, least of all her. So, he settled for being her friend, her pal.

He finally, after years of struggling and denying it to himself, decided that if he wanted to keep whatever sanity he had left, he needed to fully embrace his unrequited love for the weather Goddess. Whenever she was in his vicinity, his heart steadily hammered in his chest and chanted its love song, he was rendered speechless and had great difficulty breathing, and his feral half became agitated. Her inebriating scent of sandalwood, vanilla and freshly fallen rain relentlessly called out to him like a siren’s song. She had no idea that every time he was near her, he ached to touch her. Yes, he was definitely in love. He knew he had met his match in her and his feral half had long ago recognize her and laid claim to what she was, their mate. Of what he can remember of his long life, he was positive that he was never this much in love with a woman. What he felt for Ororo was primeval, unadulterated and genuine.

His soul cried out to him to bring her back to life. He heeded the cry because if anyone deserved love and happiness, it was Ororo. Besides himself, she was one of the very few people he'd known to experience great hardships in life. But despite her many difficulties, she had a huge capacity to love and nurture. Call it selfish, but he wanted to cash in on that love, needed to experience it, and he was going too. He knew he had to do something quickly before the melancholia and loneliness suffocated her. He wasn’t going to stand by any longer and see the yearning in her face eventually become defeat, her vivacity become resignation and all her liveliness be smothered in a bubble of indifference. This sure as hell wasn’t going to happen on his watch. No way in hell, not as long as he, James Logan Howlett, the fearsome Wolverine had blood coursing through his veins. He’d rather walk through the depths of hell and fight the devil himself before he lose her. He knew he had to help her, but in an unconventional way. A way that will erase her doubts and restore her assurance in herself as a desirable, affectionate woman. In such a way that, in the end, will express how much he needed her by his side and demonstrate the magnitude and depth of the love he felt for her. He had to rescue her before she was forever trapped in the destructive feelings she was suffering. His very essence depended on freeing her from that bondage. He wasn’t going to let her spirit be stifled any longer.

Words weren't his forte, but action was and he knew exactly what he would do for her. It came to him without much thinking, however, he realized he’ll need some help from the one source that would be more or less willing to do anything for Ororo. He needed the Professor's help. He wasn't a man who neither depended on nor sought others to help him, but as this was for the woman he loved more than life itself, he would resort to begging and pleading if he had too. He was sure that Charles sensed she was not herself and would help in any way he could. He arose from his position under the tree and looked up at his love’s domain one more time. The corners of his mouth lifted in a small smile when he saw her form still outlined in the balcony doors. Damn! He ached for her! Struggling to control his emotions, he went about his customary security check of the grounds, all the while thinking his plan was viable. He was confident it would breathe life back into her and when all was said and done, he would finally lay his claim on her. As time was of the essence, he made the decision to speak with Xavier first thing in the morning to reveal his plans.





You must login () to review.