SECRETS

Author:
Batman_Wolverine
Fandom(s): X-Men Movieverse
Genre: Romance, Drama, Humor, Action.
Pairing/Characters: RoLo, Jott and others (all inside)
Rating: PG15, NC-17
Summary: Hot Summer Nights cause people to rush for something cold....secrets start coming out. What all will be revealed?
Warnings (and Spoilers): X-Men 1 and 2 movies.
Notes: This Fic. is set in the Movieverse and starts about eighteen months after X2 ended. Nothing to do with X3.
Acknowledgments:

Disclaimer: Don't own any of the x-men character in any of the different Marvel universes (Cartoon, Comic or Movie). All owned and copyrighted by Marvel Comics.


1. Hot and Cold

It had been seventeen months since Jean Grey died at Alkali Lake and eight since she ‘came back’. After the initial euphoria and/or wariness – depending on the individual mansion resident – had worn off, things had pretty much returned to normal. Scott didn’t waste a single moment and as soon as Hank completed the barrage of tests….he and Jean tied the knot.

Much to everyone’s relief, Logan didn’t make any trouble for them, in fact he shook Scott’s hand, kissed Jean on the forehead and gave them his best wishes. What he did was that he left the mansion, but not before giving Scott a warning. “I’m giving you one chance one-eye, screw this up and hurt her an’ you will have six new holes in your body….at least six,” he had said with a complementary snarl.

If the same *warning* had been given before Alkali Lake…both of them would be going against each other. But that seemed like a lifetime ago. After returning from the lake, Logan had informed Scott of Jean’s choice and after a good drinking spree had accepted it for himself. Over the next year they had set into a comfortable if not deep companionship. Logan had joined the x-men and had even taken up teaching self-defense to the students and staff.

When he left, he had taken an indefinite break from his self-defense class, leaving Scott and Remy Lebeau, Rogue’s boyfriend in charge of the class schedule. Remy had been one of the institute’s latest recruits along with Dr. Henry ‘Hank’ McCoy, better known as *Beast*.

He returned soon – just after two months, the deep roar of ‘his’ bike covered by the storm and lightening. The next morning he was back to his normal schedule, acting as if he had never left.
He was still the only one who called Rogue ‘Marie’. That was something even Remy didn’t do. Everyone knew that the name Marie was only for Wolverine. It was his name for his young friend. Their relationship had grown to a friend-brother-sister kind of thing, and everyone knew that….if you messed with Rogue, she would rip you a new one and then Wolverine would rip you apart. He had even given that *advise* to Remy, who he didn’t favor much but only tolerated because Rogue liked him and because he had seen the way they acted towards each other…..and most important of all the way the young Cajun could bring a smile to Rogue’s lips.

Bobby and Rogue had broken up soon after Alkali Lake. Luckily, it had been amicable and they were good friends now, with Bobby dating another student – Lorna Dane ‘Polaris’. She had turned out to be another of Magneto’s kids, but instead of joining the brotherhood, her adoptive parents had admitted her to the institute. She had magnetic powers similar to her father, but instead of his white hair, hers were an interesting shade of green.

Overall, almost everyone was happy and involved in one way or another.

Even Magneto seemed to be have taken a break from his world domination plans…but that just meant that he would hit back with a vengeance.
----

It was the usual sweltering summer night and even the air conditioning couldn’t sedate the weather goddess Storm, also known as Ororo Monroe.

Feeling a sudden craving for something cold, she made her way to the mansion kitchen. Summoning her winds, she floated through the halls, not wanting to disturb the sleeping residents.

Entering the kitchen, she was confronted by a relatively scantily clad Rogue.

Even after two years at the institute and hours of training sessions with the Professor, the young woman hadn’t been able to get control over her skin. However, she had become more comfortable with it, wearing less constrictive clothing, especially at times like this….hot late nights, when there was a less chance of running into any other mansion resident.

“Rogue” Marie froze at the voice behind and jerked her head up, hitting it in the fridge door.
“Ow…” she yelped, clutching her head and rubbing it vigorously.

“I am sorry for startling you” Ororo apologized. “I didn’t expect anyone to be here at this time.”
“Same heah” Rogue gave a lopsided grin, exactly mimicking Wolverine.

“Are you hurt?” Ororo inquired, taking note of the way Rogue was still rubbing her head. “Maybe we should go the med lab and contact Hank or Jean.”

“Did someone call for Jean,” the smooth voice announced the entry of the Redheaded doctor.
“Oh, hey Jean” Rogue called out, taking her hand away from her head. “Its nothin’. Ah just hit muh on the door, nothin’ t’ worry about.”
“Are you sure?” Jean sounded concerned. “Maybe we should go the med lab. It could be serious.”
“No.” Rogue’s slightly defiant tone signaled the end of that conversation. “Right now, what Ah need is somethin’ cold t’ drink….preferably a beer.”
“Rogue!!” Jean exclaimed at the girl’s declaration. She sometimes forgot that although Rogue was not even nineteen years old, she had a ‘god-knows-how-old’ mutant in her head.

“What brought upon this?” she asked calming down, it had been months since she had had such a *Wolvie-burst* as Jubilee called it.
“Nothin’.” Rogue grew somber, “Ah just had another one…..and needed somethin’ t’ calm me down.” Both Jean and Ororo knew what she meant by *another one*. It was another nightmare, either….one of her own or of Magneto or Wolverine.

“Well I was going to prepare some lemonade,” offered Ororo. “Would either of you be interested.”
“Sure” shrugged Rogue. “Why not…its not like there is anything else besides milk or soda.”
“I was thinking about ice cream soda,” Jean mused. “But I could go with lemonade, but with soda and not water. With ice cream on the side. What do you say?” she asked her teammates.
“Yah got yerself a deal” chirped Rogue, opening the fridge to get the required ingredients.

----

Ten minutes later, the three of them settled around the kitchen island, empty glasses on one side and their ice cream bowls on the other. In front of them were five different flavors of ice cream, sliced fruits, nuts, three different kinds of syrups and a large decanter filled with ice cold lemon soda.

“We have enough to feed an army,” Jean declared, opening the top of the one of the ice cream tubs. “…or three famished x-women” she added as an after thought, gaining chuckles from her teammates.

“Rogue…” Ororo’s honey smooth voice filled with concern. “Would you like to talk about your….dream?”
“Yah can say it…” grinned Rogue, “Nightmare, and thank you but Ah’d rather not. Ah usually talk t’ th’ Professor or Logan, an’ both of them are not heah.”
“I know about the Professor” Jean commented, busy preparing her double fudge sundae. “He is in Washington, but Logan...he should be in his room. Isn’t he there?”
“No.” Rogue answered taking a long draw of the tangy lemon soda. “He’s gone into town.”
“I know.” Ororo answered calmly, gaining raised eyebrows from both Jean and Rogue. “What?” she asked innocently.
“How do you know?” Jean asked; her eyes narrowing as she tried to dig up information from her best friend. She had first noticed the *closeness* between the Wolverine and Storm a month after Wolverine’s return. Initially she had disregarded it to Logan’s usual flirtatious behavior, but on closer observation, she realized that it was something more.
Both of them acted slightly different with each other, than they did with anyone else. It wasn’t visible to the normal eye but it was there. Ororo was a bit open around Logan, slightly loosening the reins on her tightly held emotions, while Logan…he seemed to calm down whenever Ororo was within easy reach of his senses, preferably all at once – scent, hearing and visual.

“Oh….Umm…” Ororo was slightly frazzled at Jean’s sudden outburst. She knew Jean well and knew that she was fishing now. “I was on my nightly walk when I saw him leave.”
“Hmm…” Jean didn’t sound convinced and just stopped herself from using her telepathic powers.
Oblivious to the looks Jean was giving Ororo, Rogue was literally shoveling the ice cream into her mouth.

----

“Ah love yer hair.” all three were startled at Rogue’s sudden declaration.
“Thank you,” Ororo answered evenly, smiling at the teenager. Even after eight months on the road, two years at the institute and two life-threatening events later, Rogue still had her southern innocence.
“Ah mean….the Wolverine in mah head likes” Rogue grinned at her. “He likes long hair. His favorite used t’ be Red, but lately he’s started likin’ platinum-white tresses.”
“Lately?” questioned Jean. “Did Logan touch you again?”

“Yes.” Rogue answered nonchalantly, as if it was the normal thing to happen to her. She had become used to Wolverine’s strong presence within her and the latest touch wasn’t as unexpected as the first one or intense as the second one. It felt more an information update.
“When? How? Why didn’t you come to the med lab? Why didn’t HE come to the med lab?” Jean was seriously concerned now, going into full doctor mode.
“Oh it was nothing.” Rogue flipped her hand. “It was just fer a few seconds. Ah had another of my nightmares and had gone to him. He was calming me down, when his fingers brushed against mah neck,” she informed, patting the back of her neck. “And moreover he hates the med lab.”

“How long was he unconscious for?” Ororo was equally concerned, although it wasn’t easily discernable. “You should have at least reported it.”
“Ahm sorry.” Rogue was suddenly nervous. ‘Ah shouldn’t have said anything,’ she cursed herself.
“No need to be sorry child,” Ororo stated softly, laying a hand on Rogue’s shoulder. “We are just concerned about your’s and Logan’s welfare.”
“Ah know.” Rogue looked down, her ice cream forgotten. “It’s just that he told meh not t’ tell anyone….” she clarified. “An’ he was conscious the whole time…just a little tired. There was minimal power transfer, it faded within a couple o’ days. Just the memories remained, an’ they’re mostly gone too.”
“Then its ok.” Ororo patted her back, signaling Jean to keep quite or change the subject.

----

“So Logan likes Ororo’s hair huh,” Jean grinned at the shock in Ororo’s eyes at her choice of subject. “What else does he like about her….about us? I mean what does he feel about of us?”
“Jean.” Ororo scolded, her mocha colored cheeks, flushing at her friend’s insinuation. “She cannot tell us that. It would be like you giving out doctor-patient information. It is confidential.”
“Oh come on Ororo.” Jean pouted, “A little bit…just something not very personal. Like for example, hmmm…how does he feel about Scott?”

The words had barely left her mouth when Rogue answered, her usual soft voice hardening with a hint of the Wolverine. “Scooter’s a dick,” she blurted before clamping her mouth shut with her hands, her eyes wide in horror at her outburst.
Jean’s mouth fell open, while Ororo laughed out loudly at her reaction. “Serves you right.”

“Ahm sorry.” Rogue apologized, her hands still in front of her mouth to stop anything else from coming out.
“It’s alright,” Jean chuckled herself. “I should have known better than to ask such a question at such a time. You didn’t say anything that we haven’t heard before. I just thought that maybe the past two years might have improved his view of Scott.”

Feeling sorry for her ex-teacher and current teammate, Rogue relented and let out a little more information. “Oh Ahm just going ta tell ya this, but you have gotta keep it t’ yerself. Logan thinks Scott’s a dick, but he respects his commitment to the institute and the Professor’s vision. He is thankful to ya’ll fer what ya have done for meh. And is also happy fer th’ both of ya fer yor marriage.”

Both women were stunned at the girl’s words. It was as if they had never expected Logan to have such deep thoughts and that too about Scott. What did he think about the rest of them?
“That’s…that’s….” Jean tried, her mind still processing the depth of the information Rogue had given. “Wow.” was all she could manage.
“Thank you for telling us that” Ororo thanked on Jean’s behalf.
“I never thought that he would think that way,” Jean said honestly. “Especially about our marriage. He left the day Scott proposed again and didn’t return for two months.”
“Yes.” Rogue answered softly. “He went to his cabin and did a lot of thinking in that time and decided to make a lot of changes.”
“Yes.” Jean chuckled, getting her chance to tease Ororo. “Like moving from Red to White.”
“Red to…” Rogue was confused, but Ororo caught onto her.

“JEAN!” she exclaimed. “You don’t have to rub it in. We all know you are number one in Logan’s list of women.”
“No, she ain’t the one.” Rogue clamped her hands on her mouth again. The ice cream, soda and calm atmosphere was doing a trick on her, causing her to lower her mental barriers and babble uncontrollably.
“She’s not?” Ororo exclaimed; her interest piqued at the news.
“Ooh.” Jean rubbed her hands in glee. “This is going to be interesting. Who is the most important woman in Logan’s life?”

Rogue shook her head, her hands still on her mouth. She didn’t trust herself to speak another word.
“Come on Rogue,” Jean pleaded. “I could get the information from you…you know.”
“Jean” Ororo scolded her friend. “You wouldn’t.”
“What?” Jean shrugged her shoulders. “I am just joking. But please Rogue you’ve got to answer the question. Who is the most important woman in Logan’s life?”
“Uhn…there’s not just one.” Rogue answered meekly. “Three.”
“Figures…” Jean chuckled. “The Wolverine can’t settle with just one. So who are the three most important women in Logan’s life?”
“Uhn….” Rogue was even more nervous now and looked towards Ororo for support, but the look on her face clearly reflected her interest.
“Rogue.” Jean pressed on.
“You, you and me.” Rogue pointed to her teammates and then to herself.

“What?” Jean exclaimed. Tonight was turning to be quite a revelation.
“Yes.” Rogue answered, a bit confidently.

----

“Why us?” Jean asked further.
Deciding to explain it completely, Rogue took a deep breath and started speaking.

“You Jean,” she began, “Because you are you and you remind him something from his forgotten past.”
“Forgotten past?”
“Yes…I don’t know, but somehow, Logan relates you to someone from his life before Weapon X. Someone very near to him. Not his wife or immediate family member, but someone equally precious.”
Jean was silent, absorbing the news that one of reason of Logan’s attraction towards her could be his subconscious trying to remind him of his past life.

“Me,” she said about herself. “I am important because he feels a certain familial possessiveness towards me. I am in a way his first family in his new life. His feelings towards me encompass all relations friend, father, brother, even a teenaged lover.” She smiled wistfully at the last words.
Jean remembered Rogue’s crush on Logan. She had got over it and finally started dating Bobby and now Remy. The crush had matured into a friendship and the bond between the young southern girl and the ageless wild man was clear for anyone to see.

“You Ororo,” Ororo was holding her breath at what Logan thought about her. “You are a mystery.”
“And…” Ororo asked expectantly.
Jean sensed the underlying emotions hidden by her calm curiosity.
“You are something he hasn’t been able to place yet. You keep on confusing him. Every time he seems to have figured you out, you do something to over turn everything, causing him to start afresh.”

The three women sat in silence, thinking about the man who could be barbaric enough to make a living by cage fighting and erudite enough to have such profound philosophical thoughts.

Their thoughts were interrupted by the thumping of a motorcycle engine. Logan was back.

----

Five minutes later, Logan sauntered into the kitchen, the sound of his cracking his neck echoing in the silent corridor.
“Would you mind not doi….” Jean’s words were caught in her mouth at the sight of his bloodied tattered shirt covered partially by his leather jacket casually slung over one shoulder.
“Logan.” she was up in an instant, “What happened? Who attacked you? Sabertooth? Brotherh….”
He held up a hand to silence her. Stepping sideways he made his way to the sink, opened the tap and dunked his head under the cold water. He stood there for a couple of minutes, giving a *detailed* view of his delectable behind to the three women.

“Marie…” his first words were for Rogue. “What are you doing up so late?”
Rogue’s silence told him everything he needed to know. Grabbing an extra towel from the supply closet, he started rubbing his head with one hand while running his other hand….his other uncovered hand through her hair. “One of mine?” he questioned in a soft voice, as Rogue leaned into him.
“No…” she mumbled turning to wrap her arms around his abdomen.
“Sorry kid…” he bent down and placed a soft kiss on her head. “I had to get out….sorry I wasn’t there.”
“It’s ok,” she murmured. The two of them were lost in each other, the other two people in the room forgotten. “I laid down in you room for a while…it helped. And you were there…you are always there.” She smiled up at him, pointing towards her head.

Logan smiled back at her. “Come lets get you back to bed. Yer yella must be loosing what little mind she has.”
“Jubilee.” Rogue grinned at him. “She must be busy dreaming about the world’s largest mall with the world’s largest sale.”
With that, she let go of him, pushed the chair back and stood up.

“Logan…” Jean called out to him. “You didn’t tell what happened to you? You are covered with blood. Did you get into a fight or something?”
Logan grinned at her, “or something.”
Digging into his left back pocket, he pulled out a wad of notes and held it out to Ororo.
“’Ro, this is yers” he smiled as she took the money, a mischievous smile on her lips.
“So how much did I win tonight?” she asked with a twinkle in her eyes.
“Two thousand,” Logan returned with a feral grin. “Plus this. Initial hundred,” with that he held out her a single hundred-dollar bill.

“What is this all about?” Jean was felling lost. Rogue stood silently, smiling at the interaction between the Logan and Ororo.
“Oh nothing” Ororo started walking towards the door. “Just my winnings.”
“Winnings?”
“Yes. I bet on the *Great* Wolverine,” with that she called on her winds and floated out of the room.
“Bet?” she looked at Logan who had started leading Rogue towards the door, a gentle hand on her shoulder.
“Yes Jennie. Bet. As in fighting bet.” Looking back at her he gave a parting wink. “Maybe ya should try getting Scooter to come with me sometime. But don’t bet on him. He’s a…”
“I know…” Jean held out a hand. “Good night Logan,” smiling and shaking her head, she started walking towards her room.

----

Walking towards her and Scott’s room, she had a single thought running in her mind,

‘Is it just me or is there something between Ororo and Logan.’





You must login () to review.