What Are You Worth?
Chapter One


*********************
Bard’s College Campus
May 11, 1963
11:47 pm
*********************

Nimrod’s heat senors gave him the silent messages that Mutate X514 was 13.72 feet behind him and closing. Knowing that this mutant would have to approach within nine inches for a direct hit he focused his fire power on the other two ranged mutants. His scope vision could pick out Mutate T114 followed the female mutant approximately hovering 26 feet above them. Her arsenal of attacks varied. To prepare for her inevitable attack, Nimrod increased his insolation, and kept his long rang weapons targeted on her. It was the last mutant that was held the most danger. This mutant had skill in weaponry that was actually dangerous as well as the ability to absorb kinetic energy, he would have to be the first one to fall.


Bishop could see that the line of sight on the robot was following him, so he took advantage of that. He started to back up and started to fire with his double barreled energy blaster. This gave Wolverine the chance he needed to drop down from the tree roll and get within striking distance of the lumbering killing machine. Bishop suddenly rolled to the right while still firing, momentarily distracting Nimrod’s attention from all three mutants.


Wolverine never passed up an opportunity when it presented itself. Pressing his weight on his back leg, he swung himself forward to long his indestructible claws at Nimrod. The backlash of electrical current threw the short hairy man right back into the tree he had come from. Catching the sudden burst of movements from the ground below her, Storm knew that now was the moment she was waiting for. She summoned enough electricity from herself, the sky above, the ground below, and anywhere within a fifty foot range to pummel into Nimrod. Bishop saw the flashes of the deadly power and fired at the beast’s central processing unit above the right eye to shut down the defensive power. Wolverine finished the attack by slashing at the back of the robot, his claws where nearly poking out of the front side. After a second attack by the ranged powers of Bishop and Storm, all that was left of the monster was dust. This time....


Charles Xavier looked out of the science lab window. His eyes widen, and his breathe caught in his throat He backed away from the window in frighten awe. These people told him that *he* was the one was responsible for this destruction, this chaos. He put his trembling hands to his face, “I’m not capable of mastering anything like that,” he said aloud. He would never forget the sight below him. The robot with the look of a heartless demon, the near military precision of the three sent out to destroy it, nor would he ever forget about the power they had. The near endless supply of firepower or the other power. The kind that frightened him the most. Mainly because it was inside of him too. The weather witch, and both men who able to take massive amounts of physical damage as if they were mere splinters.


He knew that these three individuals had seen more death, destruction, and pain then anyone he knew or had ever met before. They had every right to be very violent people, but buy nature they were not. They had come to save his life. The irony of that was not lost on Charles. His life had never been in danger before he met these three. So of course he ran. He ran to one of the few places on campus he felt safe, and alive, the science lab. Charles knew that now that the danger had passed, these people would then leave, and things would resemble normal once again. He knew that he would have to tell Moira about this. She would find it more fascinating than scary. He shook his head as he palmed the handle of the door...


Stormed turned towards her husband’s sudden worried expression.
“What’s wrong, love?”
“Darlin,” he said. His expression was one she had seen less than a handful of times. It was an expression of fear. “Please tell me I’m hearin’ things.”
She placed her hands on his forearms. She could tell that his eyes were closed even though she was facing his back. When he was like this all she wanted to do was blanket him in some sort of peace that she knew he never had.


He leaned into her frame and inhaled all that was her. He took her hands and placed them around his abdomen. All he wanted was for her to be safe, happy, and with him. Why was that so fucking hard? He could feel her nose and chin rub in his hair. If she kept that up other things would get hard too. He softly placed his hands over hers to let her know that she was going to get it later if she didn’t stop. Of course that’s when he heard the high pitch whistle from the upstairs lab again. He began a threatening growl. *God damn! Can’t I ever catch a flamin’ break.*

“Logan?”
This time Bishop heard it too. “Look Wolverine, tell me that’s not what I think it was.”
Logan slowly unattached himself from his beloved’s arms, and uselessly ran towards the dorm.
The high pitched clicking picked up speed.

“It’s a electronic fuse,” the feral man nearly screamed. It was the last thing that any of them heard.


***********
2055 ad
***********

When Bishop came to the white light that assaulted his eyes scared the crap out of him. He sat straight up and had to swallow his heart.
“Easy, Big Brother.” His sister’s familiar face loomed above him.
“I fucked it up, didn’t I,” he asked.
“Don’t be so quick to assume Bish. You came back alive. That counts for something.”
“Thanks, Shard,” was the nonplused response.


Red alarms went off around the facilities.
Forge, their chief technician, slid his chair over to the main computer. “Enough, you two. Get ready to go. The others left before you did, so set an earlier time. For your sake, get help. Don’t worry about failure. Do NOT let yourselves be distracted. If you notice that the Time Stream has changed, don’t let it stop you from completing your mission. Don’t let them change the timeline forever.”


Shard looked at her brother while he snapped his temporal protecting bracelet on. “Are you ready?”
“Yeah, ready as I’ve ever been.”
“Alright then, lets do it.”
Both siblings jumped into the yellow light came from the time machine. Neither knew what their future would mean for the past or present.


************
Present Day
************

Ororo Monroe, sometimes referred to as Windrider, decided to do her nickname justice before she ate. She raised herself up over the front lawn of the school she called home. She heard the winds whistling in her ear and she knew that she was high enough. Stretching out her legs and arms she did large circles, loops, and figure eights to welcome the good weather she actually had nothing to do with.


Charles Xavier watched as Ororo landed headed to wear he and his two friends were to have a casual lunch. Never one to pry, Charles wondered why these two couldn’t see what was constantly right in front of their eyes. Everybody else seemed to. The thought of the X-men, himself included, playing match maker for his two lunch companions brought a rueful smile to his mouth. Subtly never worked with either Logan or Ororo. He would need a large neon sign or a blazing t-shirt to tell them to stop the excuses and give each other a chance. Being a figure of authority, he believed that would be a little inappropriate, however a sudden need to cancel a picnic might be the he knew they needed.


Logan watched as the tall Kenyan beauty touched the ground, very much like the way she lived her life. Easy, serene, and with a grace and a style that would leave any warm blooded man wanting. Everything about her exuded nature and beauty. From her height, those endless legs, the hair that flowed a cloud, and eyes so blue they could have been stolen from the sky. She even made him think romantic poetic thoughts. He knew that she was something real special by doing that, not that he would ever tell her that. Her ability to irk him to no other end was his favorite trait.


He watched her as she was in her element. Her long nimble and most likely soft fingers held still as a perch for the monarch butterfly that was also attracted to her.
“Beautiful,” he heard her mummer to the butterfly.
He bit into his apple and shifted in his seat in the tree above her. He had an excellent view today. Her low cut orange silk top gave him everything he wanted this afternoon, as did those painted on dark denim jeans. Her hips slightly swung to one side as she admired her winged insect.
Coughing into his hand to make his presence known, he chose to tease her.
“Who me? Watch yer language, darlin.” God, how he loved her lack of a funny bone.
“I meant the butterfly. But I suppose that you too are beautiful in your own unusual way.”


Of course she the beauty in him. She saw it in everybody. Sometimes he wondered if the blue in her irises actually got in the way of whatever it was she was looking at.


“Ya know babe, this is the last picnic I let ya talk me into.” He jumped down in front of her and held out his hand offering her another apple he had. As she reached out to take it, he looked passed her long arm and round shoulder. He was going to think of a way to make her hug him to have those earthen arms around him, but he was distracted by her other *assets*. Given his shorter stature he didn’t have to let his eyes drop to see the swell in her shirt, or the rounded globes that peeked out.


As she took the fruit she said something about an Adam and Eve parallel. He really wasn’t listing to the words as much as he was lulled into a calm thanks to her sultry deep voice. He could close his eyes and see her on a dark and smoky stage in a black satin dress approaching a classic microphone.


As Ororo bit into her apple she couldn’t help but to notice her friend. Logan always managed to make her think twice, or thrice...sometimes all night long about things. He represented to her all the things she couldn’t or wouldn’t let herself be. In fact on the outside the were utter opposites. He was short, hairy, gruff, muscled, toned, tangible, warm, sexy...She brought her apple to her face and closed her eyes, if she wasn’t careful she knew that his sensitive nose would pick up on her *extra scent*. If he would stop doing that to her, then she would not be so irritable to him. She took another bite, focusing on her food she refused to let her mind wonder into actually letting him do something about her frustration.


Charles was able to move towards his lunch mates unnoticed. The closer he got the more he began to pick up on the projected thoughts. He let out a sigh. Someone would have to lock these two in a room...for a few days.


“I have always resisted the fact that knowledge ruined paradise.” He added silently that the lack of knowledge could make it so that one never got to paradise. He glanced up at the two in question. Both people could barley contain their laughter knowing full well they got caught with dirty thoughts.


Before anyone could make a graceful exit out of the awkwardness, a dangerously forceful wind came out of nowhere, and dark rumbling clouds overpowered the sun. A ominous blood red light came out from the west. Logan and Charles looked at Ororo.


“I have no idea,” she said. Whatever this phenomenon was it even took her by surprise.
Charles couldn’t hold on to the picnic basket. The wind had ripped it from his hands. Logan was forced to hit the ground and cover his ears from the offensive noise from the winds.
“Dammit,” Logan cursed, “You’d think we could attract ants like normal people.”


Charles’s chair started to beep a warning. He flipped up his lcd screen to see if this anomaly was able to be traced.
The screen said “Temporal Disturbance.”


Just as the lightning from out of this world struck Logan leaped forward and grabbed Ororo, feeling as if it was the right thing to do. Ororo felt the rush of Logan’s heat and his baited breath at her neck. It was a welcome feel. Never in all her life had Ororo feared a storm. Sensing this Logan squeezed her toned waist.

The embracing couple was the last thing Charles Xavier saw before he could feel himself come apart and disappear into the time stream.





You must login () to review.