It’s really good to hear your voice
Sayin’ my name, it sounds so sweet
Comin’ from the lips of an angel
Hearin’ those words
It makes me weak
And I never wanna say goodbye
But, girl, you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel
~Hinder



Rain thudded on the roof rhythmically, reminding him of days gone by. It started late last night, drawing him from dreams he was better off forgetting. Things were going too well for him to screw it all up now.

He smiled as she finished loading the dishes. The trash in his hand, he backed out of the garage door to throw it into the larger cans. He dragged both black cans out to the street, waved to a neighbor.

It wasn’t complete suburban bliss, but close enough. The man known as Wolverine found he liked the calm lifestyle. Nothing earth shattering ever happened in this tiny suburb of Chicago.

At least, until the cellular phone rang.

Logan opened the slender black phone quickly, lighting a cigar at the same time. She waved at him from the kitchen window, making him smile.

“Hello?”

A pause on the other line. “Logan?”

Storm.

Instantly his mind transported him seven years, back to the snowy grounds of Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. He could easily recall soft white hair, warm blue eyes and the scent of rain-soaked earth.

He remembered smoky skin and hot kisses.

“’Ro?”

“H-Hi.” He could hear the teary smile in her voice and it sent his hackles up.

Turning his back slightly to the kitchen window, so the woman inside wouldn’t wonder at who he was talking to, Logan shifted the phone against his ear.

“Why ya cryin’, honey?” He asked softly.

“It’s nothing.” Ororo Munroe sighed shakily on the line. “I just needed to talk to you, Logan.”

God, the way she said his name… Something about the way two syllables rolled off of her tongue made him close his eyes. It had always gotten to him. She always got to him.

“It’s funny you’re calling me,” he said without thinking. “I dreamed of ya last night.”

She laughed a little. “Oh?”

“We were flying…” he cleared his throat. “You ok? Does…”

“What?”

“Does he know you’re talking to me? Will it start a fight?”

“No,” she said, though her voice lowered. “He’s in the other room.”

“My girl’s inside, but somethin’ tells me ya didn’t call to talk about them.” He inhaled the smoke of his cigar while he waited for her to answer.

Ororo sighed again, the sound making his arms ache to hold her. She’d always had that effect on him. He always wanted to hold her, comfort her. Sometimes, he couldn’t even remember why they’d parted ways so long ago. They’d been damn good together.

“I just…” she paused again. “I don’t know. We had a fight and I needed to hear your voice.”

“It’s good to hear yours,” he admitted, glancing over his shoulder. “You always sounded damn sexy on the phone.”

She chuckled again. “Logan…”

Damn, there it was again. How could one phone call, after months of nothing, make him want to pack up and run back to New York? He wouldn’t, he knew that. Just like she’d never show up in Chicago. They didn’t work that way.

“I guess neither of us ever moved on, did we?” Storm’s tone was wistful. He could almost see the look on her face.

“Guess not,” Logan nodded as though she could see him. “Sometimes I wish she was you. I shouldn’t, but what can ya do?”

A sniffle. A sigh. She was trying to hide her tears again. “I don’t want to say goodbye tonight, Logan.”

His eyes closed again, his mind fighting with his heart. “I know, honey.”

“I should, though, before I get both of us in trouble.”

“Yeah.” He hated the defeated sound of her voice, the pain in his. If he didn’t get back inside soon, though, she’d know something was up.

“Have a good night, Logan.” The dial tone clicked in his ear.

“I love you,” he whispered to the line, knowing she could hear him in some way.

“Logan?”

He turned to the woman standing in the doorway, giving her a sexy smirk. “What’s up, baby?”

“Bad news?” She indicated to the cellular in his hand.

“Nah,” he shrugged, slipping the phone into his pocket. “Telemarketer.”

She chuckled and motioned for him to come inside. Logan followed her, knowing that somewhere, Ororo was doing what he was now.

Struggling to stay faithful.





You must login () to review.