Kathryn Pryde never considered herself a fast runner. Her evaluations in the Danger Room and grades in PE would also agree with that assessment. Sure the ninjitsu training with Logan helped her petite frame became a flowing force to be reckoned with, but it still didn’t make her a fast runner. It just made her an efficient one. Not a single wasted breath or step, each in synch with other. Of course it was all a metaphor for life, especially here at Xavier’s Institute for Higher Learning, but again, this was not the time for lofty ideas. Amazing how she never became this profound when she was teaching. She had to fight her own wondering mind just to scratch her own lesson plans.

Again, this was not helping her current predicament.

“Kitty? Common, can’t you move faster? I mean, this can’t be good. Where did it come from?”

“Jimmy, I could move through walls but a certain newly eighteen year old insisted on coming with me.”

The young man had grown up right under everyone’s nose. There was no doubt about his intentions. After his stint as a involuntary genocidal mutant cure, he immediately took to life at Xavier’s, even without the comforting psychic embrace of its name stake. Unlike other students and adults, Jimmy’s family had welcomed him back, five years ago, with open arms, but there was no way he would go back to the people who sold him in the first place. He had made a last minute decision to take his chances with this open group of strangers.

He had grown up right then and there, or so he thought.

Both he and his first friend, Kitty, had thought that Xavier’s was a safe place. Even after Stryker’s initial attack.

That was the first time guns had ever been brought onto the grounds. It was also supposed to be a once in a lifetime fluke. No guns, there was never a need for them. It was just an unspoken rule.

That was what everyone thought, until this morning, just a few minutes ago.

The sharp pop broke the hectic and lively morning routine. The sound was recognizable instantly. Everyone spread out into defensive formations trying to find the source. Without Logan’s sensitive nose, it was a more difficult task then it seemed.

From the way it sounded, it seemed muffled, and like it came from above them.

The thought seemed to click simultaneously in both Jimmy and Kitty’s mind.

*The attic!*

And so, they ran.

They ran towards the room that had become its occupant’s recent haven. A place in which, they thought, she had finally come home to be happy and whole.

When they reached the last flight of spiral stairs, both whispered a vain prayer to please let the woman they both love like family to be safe.

The eerie quiet should have been a giveaway of what lied beyond her closed door. Kitty was peering through the exotic greenery and ferns that partially shielded the light. As she lifted a palm leaf out of the way, her worse fears were confirmed. Silent tears rolled down her frozen face.

Jimmy raced forward and bent down towards the body. There was no need to ask who. The shock of fashionable forward white hair and lengthy dark toned body made her easy to see by a blind person.

He didn’t hesitate to turn her over, although he wished he had. He thought he had seen the worse life had to offer during a fight of ideals five years ago. He was wrong.

The whole in the side of her head from the self inflicted wound had to have been the ugliest thing he’d ever seen. Even as he brushed the hair away from her face, she still had managed to be serenely beautiful.

“Oh my god,” Kitty said, as she finally managed to move forward. “There’s so much blood.”

Jimmy furrowed his brows. There was barely any blood on her. Then he looked up at her vanity. The mirror’s center had a huge splatter on it. As odd as it was everything else was spotless.

It looked as if she cleaned before…no! Jimmy refused to believe that.

He didn’t even know he was cradling her torso until Kitty had pulled him away.

“We have to let them know,” she said with a quiet authority.

Jimmy looked at her as if she had lost her mind. She was beginning to think like her already. Always of other people first. Always them, their happiness, them them them. This time she would come first.

“No Kit. First we tell Aya. I know that know five year old deserves to wake up with this kind of news, but that’s her only kin.”

“We could find…” She stopped her train of thought when she saw Jimmy’s intense glare. She began to look through the rolodex to find the number to the Academy of Tomorrow.

“Hello? No. I need to speak to…alright. Fine. Yes, it’s an emergency. Look Emma, don’t play around. Where’s Aya? What do you mean, you don’t know who? Kendall. She’s the only Kendall there. I know she’s in class, dammit. Didn’t I ask you not to play around? You want to be a bitch, fine be a bitch, and while your at it you can tell that poor girl that her mother is dead.” She slammed the phone down.

She took her shirt tale and wiped away a lone drop of blood. What the hell happened to make her mentor, Ororo a self-made goddess, do this?

A last minute decision with such irresponsible consequences was totally out of character for her. Both protégées swore to help their friend out.





You must login () to review.