You Just Might Make Me Believe
Prologue

Logan woke up in a cold sweat. He was having yet another nightmare. He had one every night since the day Jean had died. It all started off the exact same way:

He was in the house where the professor had died except everything was different. At the house the only people who were there was the professor and him. Wolverine could see the professor and was trying everything in his power to get to him and stop his death. He could hear the professor begging him to save him. Before he could get to Charles he was gone. The house was replaced by blackness surrounding him. He could see a shadow coming closer to him. “Who is there? Answer me, who are you?”
“Don’t you recognize me Wolverine? Don’t you recognize the woman you said that you loved?” Out of the shadow Jean appeared. She was holding her stomach. “Maybe this will help.” She moved her hand and there were three huge holes in her stomach. “Look at me now Wolverine. Do you know who I am now?”
“Jean.”
“That’s right, it’s Jean. The woman you said you loved. The woman you killed. How could you do this to me?”
“I had no choice. I had to stop you.”
“I begged you to save me and instead you killed me. You are evil. You are the one who deserves to die. I hate you.”
“Jean no don’t say that.”
“It’s true. You are a murderer. You killed me. You are a murderer. Murderer, murderer, murderer…” This continued as Jean disappeared into the darkness. Out of the darkness Charles appeared.
“Wolverine.”
“Charles.”
“You are a murderer. You killed Jean. You let Jean kill me. You are supposed to be unstoppable but you just let me die.”
“I’m so sorry Charles. I tried but…”
“You should have tried harder. This will keep on happening. You will on killing until everyone you care about it dead. You need to leave. No one is safe with you. Leave. Get out of my house. You don’t deserve to be there. You are a murderer.”

Logan jumped out of bed. He pulled on some clothes and threw some more in his bag. “Charles is right. I am a murderer. I don’t deserve to be here. No one needs me here. Marie no longer has her powers and has Bobby. The X-Men have Storm. Everyone would be better off if I was gone.” He zipped up his bag and walked out the bedroom. As he reached the bottom of the stairs, he felt like he just couldn’t leave until he paid his respect one last time to Professor, Jean, and Scott. He felt like he owed them that much. He walked out the door and felt rain softly hitting him. “They weren’t calling for rain. Where did this come from?” He rounded the corner and saw what was causing the rain to fall. Standing right in front of Charles grave was a normally strong unemotional Storm crying her eyes out. He had never seen Storm act this way. In the days following everyone’s death he had not really seen her cry. She had shed a few tears but would quickly stop. He never understood why she seemed so unemotional about anything. There were times in which he even referred to her as the ice queen. He never realized that maybe she was morning in a different way, on her own. He felt like he was interrupting a private moment but there was a part of him that did not want to leave. He felt like he should be there just in case she needed him. “Storm, Darlin’, are you ok?”
He saw her body go stiff and the rain seemed to disappear as quick as it had started. “Logan what can I do for you?”
“I was just comin’ outside and saw you crying. Not only that but it was raining when the news people had said there was not a drop in sight.”
“Sorry about that. I allowed my emotions to get out of control. It will never happen again.”
“You don’t have to apologize for being sad. Everyone around here have been sad. You know it’s ok to cry.”
“Not with me Logan. My emotions are tied with the weather.”
“So you were makin it rain. No wonder it smelled and tasted like tears. The clouds were crying cause you were.”
“That’s right. If you will excuse me I’ll go inside.”
She turned to walk inside. Before she could get past Logan he stopped her. “Storm you don’t always have to be so strong. It’s ok to show your emotions. It’s ok to let everyone know you are sad. It’s ok to be sad. People you loved and cared about died. You don’t have to be so strong around everyone, specially me. Storm, cry.”
“I can’t.”
“Yeah you can. I just saw you do it. Cry, Storm. Let it out. Have a break down.”
He saw tears start to fall down her face. Once again he felt the rain start to fall. “Why Logan? Why did they all have to leave me? I’m not strong enough to be in control. I need my friends back. I need my family back.” Her tears started falling harder and she began sobbing her whys. Logan pulled her into his arms so he could comfort her. When her arms went around him, she felt the bag around his shoulder. “Logan, why do you have a suitcase with you?” She pulled back and looked in his eyes for answers. “Logan, answer me. Are you leaving the mansion? The X-Men?”
“Just need to get away for a little while.”
“You can’t leave.”
“No one needs me here.”
“That’s not true Logan. We all need you. Marie…”
“Marie has Bobby. She has her new knight and shining armor. Who else could possibly need me around here?”
“I need you. You can’t leave. I can’t stand to lose one more person I care about.”
“Care about…?”
“Logan, the X-Men is all that I have. I care about everyone on the team. It’s like we all are family. You are a part of that family. Please Logan I’m asking you to stay here. Don’t leave the X-Men.”
“Ok I won’t go.”
“Logan, promise me that you will never leave.”
“I promise. You may live to regret asking me to stay but I will stay.”





You must login () to review.