Of Heart and Steel

"I hate this, Father," Ororo said, shifting back and forth on the seat cushion, casting a baneful eye to the Lord King Delleous, Leader of the Moon Elf nation.

The Elf King eased the side of his head into his palm and sighed, "Must we again go over this, my child?"

"There is no harm in me trying anything I can to get out of this, now, is there?"

"Other than your poor father's mental well being?" he said with a quirk of a smile.

Ororo could not help but grin a bit, her father's smile was good to see again; no matter what, it always made her feel better. "If I have to suffer through this, I fully intend to drive you mad with me," she said teasingly.

"Too late my child, your mother took care of that long ago," he said, letting the smile consume his face. He reached over and brushed away a tassel of her snow-colored hair "I know this is not fair to you daughter, but you must understand the causes behind your union."

"I do not even know him, Father!"

"Young Prince Xavius is a good man Ororo, I have no doubts that he will make a good husband for you." Delleous said, placing a hand on his daughter’s knee as she gazed out of the carriage window.

"These are dark times my child. The coming war is set to erupt and we elves must choose a side in it, or we will be forced to stand alone when the time comes for us to fight." The Elf king looked into his daughters eyes. "King Xavius and I thought that a union of our children would make for an ironclad agreement between our two nations."

"I was not even given the choice of it, Father, and I am sure that the prince was not, either." Ororo turned from him and stared into the passing countryside "I still don’t understand why it has to be this way; an Alliance has always been the answer for these affairs. Why must it be my wedding to lock the terms in place?"

Delleous gave his daughter a soft hand on her shoulder. “People need a symbol Ororo, it gives them strength and something to believe and hold onto. A treaty is a peace of paper with the names of two old men on it, but this is something the people of both the nations can have faith in."

"I know, Father," Ororo said, looking back into his eyes. "I just wanted to be in love when I married.”

"Perhaps you and the Prince will yet find that love, my dear." Delleous said with hope. "Time holds many surprises for us all.”

Ororo simply nodded and turned back to the window. She brushed away the tear that rolled down the side of her cheek, hoping her father had not seen it.


Tyeradal, High Capital of Aldriah
The town of Drenik


“You could have at least bathed, Creed” High Marshall Lucas Bishop said, scrunching his nose up at the larger man.

Victus Creed sneered at him. “For some fancy ass Elf and his silver spoon daughter?” The Captain rolled his head to the side and spat “Not bloody likely.”

Bishop only shook his head; of all the candidates Magnus could have appointed as Captain of the Guard… “That silver spoon Elf is our future queen, I trust I will not have to remind you of that again,” he said, giving him a stern look.

“Might as well turn the country over to the Northmen, if you expect these pansies to win the war for us.” Creed spat onto the ground again. “Elves ain’t worth the meat on their scrawny bones.”

“The same could be said for Half-breed ogres.”

Creed growled low in his throat, “Mind your tongue Easterner, or I’ll hang you with it.”

Bishop placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. “Whenever you feel like it Creed, you can try for that promotion at any time.”

Creed bared his jagged teeth at him, “One day, Bishop…”

“Yes I know, you will have my bones for your bread, I have heard it all before, Creed; now, to attention, our guests have arrived.” Bishop called his color guard to attention.

“That’s Giants asshole,” Creed muttered, but called his own group to the ready.

The armed escort of horse-mounted elves preceded the carriage bearing the Royal Seal of the House of Storm.

The lead rider stopped in front of Bishop and bowed low. “Lord Marshal Bishop?”

Bishop nodded. “I am.”

The rider dismounted and removed his helm. “I am High Retainer Drallen en Mallyos.” Bishop extended his hand, and the two clasped forearms. “Welcome to Aldriah, my lord.”

Drallen smiled, “No lord here, sir, just a tired soldier with an empty belly.”

Bishop let a grin spread across his stony features. “I can relate to your situation.” The two soldiers walked toward the carriage

“Any problems on your trip?” Bishop asked.

Drallen shook his head. “None other than the usual bad roads, and worse weather.”

“How are the Lord and Lady?”

They stopped a few feet from the carriage “Well as can be expected, other than the contagious hunger that seems to be spreading throughout my entire rank.” Drallen smiled again.

Before Bishop could reply, the carriage door opened and a tall elf dressed in elven attire stepped from the carriage.

Behind him came one of the most gorgeous beings Bishop had ever seen. Draped in silver garments of silk with mageweave slippers stood the daughter of the Moon Elf King. A trained soldier like Marshall Bishop, who had always found it easy to ignore such things (other than that one time long ago) found he could not look away. Even Creed, who never bothered to even glance at the face of the woman who was willing (or unwilling) to bed with him, found himself struck by the creature who stood before him.

Drallen noticed the look on Bishop’s face and grinned to himself softly “Marshal Bishop, I present to you His Majesty, King Delleous Uth Monroah and Her Majesty, Princess Ororo es Monroah.”

Bishop collected himself as best he could and bowed low to the two. “My Lord and Lady, welcome to Aldriah.”





You must login () to review.