Chap 1: The Breakup



“Excuse me,” Ororo said, standing and leaving the Rec Room, heading to her room. She walked briskly across the foyer of the mansion, her long white hair trailing behind her. Before she could reach the stairs, Logan caught up with her and gently grabbed her arm, making her stop.

“Logan, please release my arm,” she said turning to face him.

“No. Not ‘til ya talk to me, ‘Ro. I thought we were watchin’ a movie,” he replied, his hand still cupping her elbow in a loose but firm grip, “Why did ya walk out like that?”

“How would you feel if the woman you are in love with was fighting a losing battle for a man who is already in love with someone else?” she asked. When he didn’t respond, she continued, “Or better yet, how would you feel watching your friend set themselves up for heartbreak? Could you sit there and watch?”

He stared at her, a growl rumbling in his throat, letting her know she had hit a nerve.

“That is the reason why I walked out. I care deeply for you, Logan, and I would like to be much more than a friend,” she said, gently touching his face with her free hand and gazing into his eyes, unaffected by his display of anger.

“But,” she said, drawing her hand back and removing his hand from her elbow, “I refuse to play second fiddle to your infatuation with a married woman.”

Turning, Ororo walked up the stairs and headed to her room, never glancing back.

Watching her walk away, Logan could only shake his head. Damn, he thought, trying to decide whether or not to go after her. Angry at himself for hurting her, Logan decided to take a ride on his bike and head to the nearest watering hole, thirty five miles away.

In her room, Ororo changed into her nightgown and went out on her balcony, enjoying the wind’s gentle caresses on her exposed skin. Hearing the roar of the motorcycle, Ororo watched as Logan gunned the engine and sped off into the darkness, running from yet another demon. Feeling the rain on her cheek, Ororo looked up at the dark sky, allowing the rain to mingle with her tears.

Gambit and Rogue, walking hand in hand, headed back up the mansion from their walk in the woods that bordered the westside of the Xavier property. Enjoying the silence, each were deep in thought about the conversation they had on the shore of the lake, a favorite spot for couples, especially Logan and Ororo.

A raindrop landed on Gambit’s forehead. What happened to the clear sky, Gambit thought, the memory of gazing up at the stars flashing through his mind. Somethin’ not right, he thought as his eyes met Rogue’s as the rain started falling in a steady stream.

“Race ya,” Rogue said before taking off toward the mansion. Not to be out done, Gambit sprinted after her. They laughed like school kids as they ran to the mansion. They entered the foyer, still laughing.

Rogue grabbed Gambit’s hand as they made their way to her room to dry off. Gambit sat on the bed as Rogue went into the bathroom for a towel. Sensing a change in his mood, Rogue watched Gambit as she dried her hair. Sitting next to him on the bed, she gently nudged him. Looking at his love, Gambit debated what to do next.

As if reading his mind, Rogue stood and pulled him to his feet, walking him to the door.

“Go,” Rogue said, smiling, trying to put him at ease, “Storm needs ah friend.”

Shocked that she had sensed it, Gambit smiled a sad smile. “I won be long, ‘chere,” he said, kissing her gloved hand, gazing into her eyes, “Thanks for understandin’.”

Smiling, she shooed him away, knowing that if he continued to seduce her with his eyes, he would not make it out the door.

Nodding, Gambit moved stealthy through the hall to his friend’s room. Finding the door locked, he quickly picked the locked and entered the dark room, his eyes quickly adjusting.

Scanning the room, Gambit spotted her and his breath caught in his throat. Ororo stood out on the balcony, the soaked gown now fitting her like a second skin. Shaking his head, he tried to concentrate on the task at hand. Grabbing her robe from the foot of the bed, Gambit quietly made his way over to his friend. Standing behind her, he gently laid the robe over her shoulders.

Startled, Ororo, turned and looked into the eyes of her closest friend, Remy LeBeau.

“Tryin’ to give world ah show, ‘chere?” he said, guiding her back into the room. Not waiting for a response, Gambit went to the bathroom to retrieve a towel.

“If I was, why is it any concern of yours?” she asked, allowing him to wrap her hair with the towel.

“ ‘Cause, my dear Stormie, Gambit know t’aint yo style.”

“Please don’t call me that awful name,” she said, wrapping the robe tighter around her and taking a seat on the bed, “Why are you here anyway? Didn’t you and Rogue have plans tonight?”

“Yeah, we did, but we were interrupted by ah sudden rain storm.”

“Really? That’s a shame. You would think with all the new technology meteorologists have, that they could predict these things. Oh well,” she said lightly, standing and going to her dresser, unwrapping the towel, “I’m sorry your plans were interrupted. Let me know next time and I will see what I can do.” She watched him through the mirror as she started brushing her damp hair.

Tired of the game, Gambit sat on the bed, determined not to leave the room until his friend told him what was going on.

“You okay, ‘chere?” he said laying back, his eyes on her back.

“I’m fine, Gambit. Why would you think otherwise?”

“It be da Wolverine, no? Ya sure ya don’ want Gambit to pounce on him?” he asked jokingly as he sat up, his face serious.

Sighing, Ororo put down the brush and turned to look at her friend. Sitting next to him on the bed, Ororo took his hand in hers and held it, allowing the silence to fall around them. Knowing what he was trying to do, Ororo forced herself to look at him and smile.

“As much as I would love to say yes, I can not. It is my fault and I have to live with my decision, my friend. Thank you for being here for me. Please give Rogue my thanks for understanding that I needed you,” she said, giving him a peck on the cheek, “Now, go to Rogue. She needs you.”

Nodding, Gambit knew that he would have a conversation with Wolverine soon. No one hurts my Stormie, he thought, kissing her hand and taking in her sad smile. Sighing, he stood up and headed to the door.

“If you need me, ‘chere, just give a yell, and I’ll come arunnin’,” he said before slipping silently out the door.





You must login () to review.