Ororo walked briskly up the mansion’s staircase, hoping to retreat to her room for some much needed quiet time. Rubbing her temples and becoming fully aware of the migraine that plagued the back of her head, she mulled over the past few months.

Hectic.

Her desk was on the brink of spilling over with paper work, which honestly, she would have been happy to forget about. Meals had to be prepared 24/7 since most the students ate snacks throughout the day. Marie, Kitty and Jubilee had been a great help in that area, but when you are caring for well over 75 children in a mansion that was gaining a few more students usually every month, the kitchen had become a war zone. Ororo had also been very short on staff. Not counting the eldest students, Ororo, Logan, and Warren were the only adults in the mansion.

Then there were long, exhausting arguments that had to be settled constantly.

Not only among the students, but between herself and Logan.

A couple weeks ago, Ororo had asked him if he could start teaching self-defense classes in the Danger Room. Although to Logan, teaching the students how to defend themselves and beat a few guys up wasn’t a problem at all, patience was. He had pretty much lost his temper when two of the children had been goofing off and making comments about his technique. His claws sprung out and he made a start towards the two. He wasn’t going to hurt the kid or anything, just put a little fear into him. Unfortunately for Logan, Ororo had been watching from the monitor room. She had excused the class, and when they were well out of earshot, she and Logan had been arguing for a good hour.

Of course, she and Logan got over their fights, since it seemed there was one every day.

Now, it was just an excuse to bug each other.

She came up to her door and quietly slipped in, hoping nobody would see her. Shrugging off her black jacket, revealing a creamy white tank top and giving out an exasperated sigh, she reclined onto her soft bed. Lost in the softness of her white sheets, Ororo let her mind wander. Her large balcony windows were open and she could hear her students playing out side.

Her students.

~Flashback~

We can’t be students forever.

Ororo, I haven’t thought of you as one of my students in years…In fact, I was hoping one day, you will take my place.

But Scott’s--

Scott’s a changed man…He took Jean’s death so hard, there are better things out there for him. You of all people know how fast the weather can change.


~End Flashback~

The memory of Charles willing over his responsibilities pricked at Ororo’s emotional reign. Now with him, Scott, and Jean dead, the heavy weight of the mansion bore on her shoulders.

There was a sudden knock on the door that made her heart skip a beat. She quickly rubbed away the small traces of tears that had been hiding along the rims of her eyes.

Logan's gruff voice came from the other side of the large, mahogany door. "Storm? Its me."

"What is it, Logan?" The door slowly opened, but Logan did not appear. "You decent?"

"Yeah. Come in." She sat up, propping her hands behind her so she could sit up straight.

Logan walked in, slightly stunned at the large interior of her room. There were a multitude of healthy plants hanging about and two large glass doors, leading to a balcony. Her bed was probably three times the size of his and there was a large skylight above, making everything in the room glow. Ororo waited patiently for Logan to gather his senses, a small grin sneaking into the corner of her lips.

When his thirty seconds of gaping were counted, she nudged Logan out of his trance. She cleared her throat loudly, trying to get his attention.

His head snapped in her direction.

"What?"

"You wanted something." she stated, becoming slightly irritated since she knew that would be the end of her peace.

"I need to head out." The simple statement stabbed her in the back and the migraine that was creeping in the corners of her head, came out full force.

"Logan...I need you here. You can't just go out every time you feel that--"

He cut her off. "Hey. It's not like that. The kids are having a movie night and we're all out of popcorn. I'm going to head out and buy some. I told you I was going to stay here and help ya out, I won't break that promise."

"Oh...I--I didn't know...I just thought..." She let her shaky statement drift away, visibly relaxing. A thought popped in her head. She got up from her bed and entered her walk-in closet.

"I'll go instead." She flicked the light on and started rummaging for some shoes and a coat. She chided herself for owning so many items and finally picked out a pair of black leather boots.

"You sure?" He asked hesitantly. Her head popped out from the closet door and nodded. She walked back over to her bed and started putting on her boots.

"Mmhm. I could really use the air." She grabbed the jacket she shrugged off earlier and put it on. Logan continued leaning in the doorway.

"What flavor do they want?" she asked, fluffing her choppy white hair a little bit in her mirror.

"Huh?"

"Popcorn." She grabbed her purse and made her way to the door.

"Oh. I dunno." He stepped out so she could exit.

"Okay. I'll be back around six." They both headed down the stairs. Logan paused for a second.

"It doesn't take that long to get popcorn."

"I know. I need to run a few other errands. You can keep the house standing until then, right?" She entered the garage and opened the door to a nearby Toyota.

"Hey, I'm not gonna baby-sit again, if that's what ya think." He spoke sternly as she got in the car. Ororo noticed the warning tone in his voice and quickly used the remote to open the garage.

"Don't kill anyone while I'm gone!" She said quickly while she zoomed out into the distance.

Logan ran a frustrated hand through his hair.

How’d she do that?

Ororo rolled up the window and drove her way to the supermarket.

I hope he took me seriously when I said don't kill anyone…





You must login () to review.