Late Night Chat: Chapter 1: Nightmares

Ororo Munroe shot up in bed abruptly, sweating cold, and gasping for air, “… Goddess…” She sighed softly.

That was the fifth nightmare she had, had that week, and they seemed to be getting worse and worse every night. Maybe a glass of warm tea from the kitchen will help me calm down a bit. She mused as she threw on a pair of pajama pants and a yoga tank top, and padded down the hallway and to the kitchen. When she arrived, her heart still seemed to be racing as though it wanted to pop out of her chest; walking into the kitchen, she turned on the light, and jumped when she saw a dark figure, hanging around in the shadows of the booth, “AHHH!!!!” Ororo screeched clearly startled.

It was Logan who was sitting in the shadow, sipping on a beer. He wasn’t exactly paying attention to her when she entered the kitchen, or expecting her to scream either, which is why he jumped a bit himself as well. Choking on his beverage of choice- coughing and sputtering, he squint his eyes to better his view on who had screamed, “Jesus ‘Ro!! I know I’m ugly and scary, but… SHIT!!”

She put her hand to her chest and gasped. Once the Weather Witch realized who it was, she relaxed a bit at the sound of his voice, “Goddess Logan! What are you doing up so late?”

He stepped into the light and showed her the bottle “Couldn’t sleep… What ‘bout ya?” He looked at the bottle then back at her, “Want one?”

Ororo sighed, “I normally wouldn’t, but, considering it will be a long night, yes Logan, I would like one. Thank you.”

She smiled a bit; Logan cocked and eyebrow and handed her a bottle. He watched her open it using the counter just like a pro would, and take a long swig; he had to admit he was quite impressed. “Thank you Logan.” She said once more as she sat on a stool in the kitchen island.

He nodded and in front of her, on the other side of the island, and inquired, “So, what’s keepin’ ya up ‘Ro?”

She looked at the bottle she’d been nursing as though to think of what to say to the Canadian. She looked back up at Logan, staring into his chocolate brown eyes, which seemed to have suddenly captured her in a spell, “Nothing…. Well actually… No, nothing…” She stammered.

Logan smirked, “Ya suck at lyin’, ya know that, right?”

She chuckled a bit, “Oh, why thank you for pointing that out my good man!”

He laughed back and replied, “Anytime ‘Ro, anytime! So, as fun as drinkin’ beer in the dark with a beautiful woman is… I apologize, I mean… Goddess… ” She rolled her eyes, as he continued, “What’s eatin’ at ya?”

Ororo became serious, “I… I keep repeating the same nightmare every night for the last 3 weeks… They get worse every time I shut my eyes.”

Logan sat up straight and put down the bottle of beer, “What’s this nightmare about?”

She finished her bottle and asked him, “Can you hand me another beer please?”

Logan compromised with her, “Tel ya what, I’ll hand you as many as ya want-hell, ya could finish the whole six pack yerself- IF ya tell me what’s goin’ on, please? I never seen ya like this b’fore ‘Ro.”

The Mistress of the Elements nodded and closed her eyes, in an attempt to visualize the dreadful delusion, “Well, in the most recent one, I am in a dark hall. I’m running away from someone but, I never see his face… I’m trying to reach a door, but it seems to continue going farther, and farther away as I trying to get closer. And then… The walls begin to close in on me…” Her breathing quickened as she continued on, “The man is closer to me now, just a few feet away… The walls are now completely on me then… The ceiling collapses on me completely…” Tears begin to fall from her face profusely.

She then finished retelling the nightmare, “…and I’m suddenly reliving my parents death… and…” She put her head in her hands and sobbed loudly.

Logan felt as his jaw went slack; he set down his own beer that he was holding, and rushed around the island to Ororo’s side. He took hold of one of her hands and rubbed small, lazy circles on the back of it with his thumbs. He was unsure if a hug would have been appropriate; so he cupped her face with his both his large hands and wiped away her tears, “Go on, I’m here.” He encouraged. “Nuthin’ ain’t gonna hurt ya, not in real life or in yer dreams darlin’ I’ll make sure of that. Yer safe ‘Ro... I’ll keep ya safe… Tell me the rest of yer dream darlin’.” Logan whispered gently, almost affectionately.

Ororo nodded and sighed softly. She took in a deep, shaky breath and closed her eyes once more, “I’m buried under... All the rubble…. I hear my mother faintly signing… Trying to calm me down... I heard and saw everything… My father drawing in his last breath, and then I watched my mother expire slowly… once more…” She let out another painful sob and tears fell from her eyes rapidly, “And tonight… I wasn’t very lucky either… I”I died... as well…”

Logan felt his heart break and he could not resist the urge he felt to take Ororo into his strong arms and make sure nothing hurt her ever again. He held her close to her chest and spoke softly and soothingly, “Ya ain’t gonna die Ro, Look, if I were Beast, I would tell ya some deep meaning psychological crap about dreams and death, and what they mean- but I ain’t Beast. But, darlin’, I can tell ya that, ya ain’t gonna die. It was just a dumb, scary, obviously pretty traumatizing, dream, okay?”

Ororo buried her face in his chest; while sobbing, she shook her head, “Logan… It’s been going on… Every night… For the past three weeks… This MUST be a sign… Maybe… Maybe I am going to… *gulps* …die…”

Logan put his fingers under her chin and lifted her face as he cupped it once more, and looked into her large enticing eyes, “Hey, hey, hey. It’s okay! That will never happen. I won’t let it… It’s gotta mean somethin’ else.” Logan replied gently as he kissed her forehead.

She calmed down a bit and whispered softly, “Thank you Logan…”

She felt safe in his large arms. He squeezed her tightly, but it was just right, it wasn’t so tight that she couldn’t breathe, and it wasn’t so loose that it felt like he didn’t want to hug her. No. It was perfect, just right. It was like going outside on a beautiful day, and sucking in the clean, fresh air, or like taking a bite out of a delicious brownie, or, better yet, cuddling close to the person you truly love most, and just staring into each other’s eyes. Yep, in Logan’s arms that’s how she felt. Satisfied. But, would she ever admit this to anyone? Hell no! Not even to herself! It was just something her subconscious seemed to know, and would let her know soon.

He rubbed his hands through her sliver mane and kissed her temple again, “Anytime darlin’. B’sides, its nice ta talk ‘bout someone else’s traumatizing past other than mine.” He said his lips still pressed against her head.

The Weather Witch smiled up at the man, “It’s nice to really speak with you as well.”

His calloused fingers ran over her cinnamon colored cheeks, wiping the tears that still ran down her soft skin. Wolverine found himself smirking again, despite the situation, “So, ya want that second beer?”

Storm thought for a moment and shook her head as she pulled herself out of his embrace; she shivered slightly, instantly missing his warm hold, “No thank you. I think I am going to go back to bed now… Thank you…” She stood up and began to walk out of the room, when she stopped at the door frame and looked at Logan once more, “…I know this is odd for me to ask but…”

He noticed just how empty his arms felt without her in them, but he shook off the thoughts and turned his attention to the African Beauty that stood before him, “But what darlin’?”

Whispering lowly and shyly, Ororo stammered a reply, “Would… mind sleep... In my room? Just for tonight…Please?” But as the favor left her mouth, embarrassment set and she quickly took back what she had asked him to do for her, “No. Forget it, you don’t have to do that,. Forget I asked. Have a good night Logan.” She finished and began to walk out again.

Logan grabbed her wrist, tugging it just gently enough to make her turn around and stop her from walking out again, “How could I refuse a beautiful woman like you? Is that what you want?” He asked lowly.

Ororo blushed profoundly under her mocha skin, “Would you mind at all?” She questioned rather bashfully.

As he shrugged he answered, “I can sleep in yer walk-in closet need be- I jus wanna know yer safe darlin’.”

Taking hold of his hand, she kissed his cheek and whispered, “Thank you Logan.”

And she began to lead him up to her room.





You must login () to review.