The next morning, Logan, Hawk and Storm had their suitcases packed and put into the car by seven. Hawk's white wolf, Isis- who had also sustained injuries in the last case- was also coming with them, since she needed to be watched over just a little more. When Logan saw Hawk, her long bangs were obscuring her left eye- the bottom part being swept past her cheek- she was wearing a black top with dark blue jeans that looked like they were almost black; she had her earbuds in her ears, lip syncing to 'Live Free or Let Me Die' by Skillet- he saw her iPod as she walked past him and into the car- and had a dark look on her face that said she was in a foul mood and not one to be messed with right now. Logan wondered if she had gone what the kids call "emo".

He looked to Storm. "What's up with her?"

Storm hesitated. "She doesn't...want... the assignment.."

"Why?"

Storm looked into the car, where Hawk was staring into space, while stroking Isis' fur. "I'll tell you later; just make sure you try to stay on her good side? It's bad enough when she's in what we like to call, her "dark mood". I don't think I can deal with her having a legitimate reason for being mad at you."

XMDII

When they were about twenty minutes from their destination, Storm decided it was time to debrief them. She turned to Hawk, who was sitting behind her- Isis' head in her lap- and staring absentmindedly out the window. Storm could hear her singing softly to a song she liked. "Perfect by nature icons of self indulgence. Just what we all need more lies about our world that never was and never will be. Have you no shame? Don't you see me? You know you've got everybody fooled."

"Hawk," Storm called. Nothing happened. Those earbuds were like earplugs to her. "Hawk," she tried again. Judging by the way she stroked Isis' fur absentmindedly, Storm knew that she was in her own little world. She reached her hand behind her seat, gripped Hawk's leg, and gave an extremely low voltage shock. "Hey!"

Hawk jumped and took out her earbuds. "Time for a debrief," Storm said.

Hawk sighed. "I've read the file."

Storm looked at her curiously. "When did you read the file?"

"After you fell asleep on the chair. Couldn't sleep, so I decided to read the file."

"Okay then," Storm said, turning back around. She looked at Logan. "Did you read the file?"

"No," Logan said, giving her a lop-sided grin. "But you can debrief me."

Storm rolled her eyes, but also smiled. "Well, you're supposed to be my husband, and we're looking for a way to make extra cash. We're tired of our jobs and would like some new ones. Hawk is our adoptive daughter-"

"Why can't she be our real daughter?"

Storm cringed inwardly. "We'll get to that later. Anyway, that's pretty much her part, but she's also looking for a job. She can pass for sixteen any day."

XMDII

After parking the car, they got out, leaving Isis in with the windows lowered a crack. Storm cleared her throat as Hawk got out. Hawk sighed exasperatedly. "It's on my ankle where I can't get to it easily."

"And the other one?"

"It's on my other ankle."

"Good."

"What?" Logan asked.

"After Sabretooth's little incident last month, I started letting Hawk carry a mini revolver and a pocket knife for defense purposes. Although, I'm a little concerned about this time though. There are alot of dangerous people here."

"Can we just go so that I don't have deal with my life all over again?" Hawk asked.

"We're coming."

XMDII

They entered the Kurogaisha. Translation: Black company. "So where is this Shaw?" Logan asked.

"The blue room," Storm replied.

Hawk stopped abruptly. "Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no no no no no no no."

"Hawk," Storm tried.

"No one said anything about going into that... provocative dance club!"

"Hawk, what did I tell you last night?"

"That I'd be with you two the whole time."

"Right. Now, have I lied to you about that before?"

"No," Hawk conceded grudgingly.

She started to go back with the two adults. When they entered the blue room, Hawk covered her ears from the loud punk music. She never did like music that was so suggestive. To have it so loud, really annoyed her. They walked to booth in the back, where an English looking person sat. His side burns were about as long as Logan's, and he had this chilling smile that always made Hawk's skin crawl. "Ah, Ororo, never thought I'd see you again. And you brought back Ashley."

Hawk clenched her fists, half-tempted to flick them open. No one called her by her real name unless she was in trouble or for formal occasions. The only person who was allowed to do that was Storm. "Forget about it, Shaw," Storm said. "She's not up for slave trading."

"Then why have you come back?"

"Business. I would like to have my old job back. I've even brought my husband with me, he would like to have one also. Preferably the same one as mine."

"Remind me, Ororo, how long has it been since you left with Ashley."

Storm placed a hand in front of Hawk to keep her from lunging at Shaw. "Five years."

"Are you sure you're up to it?"

"I was one of your favorites, wasn't I?"

"Touche'," Shaw replied. He indicated the booth, signaling them to sit. Storm slid in first, then Hawk, and Logan. "Tell me... uh..."

"James. James Brown," Logan replied.

"Alright, James. You are one lucky man."

Hawk cleared her throat. She didn't want to listen to all the flattery. "Storm, why don't you tell him our price?"

As the adults talked, Hawk looked around, taking in her surroundings. She idolized a character in the Star Wars series, Mara Jade Skywalker. She had been an Emperor's Hand; a trained assassin. Knowing your surroundings in a dangerous situation was always top priority. Knowing what weapon to use was even more important. Her revolver would be too obvious. Her knife on the other hand, would be a little messy. But it was more sufficient than a loud BANG. Storm knocked her arm, they were finished.

XMDII

Storm and Logan were walking behind Hawk. She walked ahead at a fast pace, trying to get out of this horrid place as fast as possible. When they reached the car, Hawk slipped in the back. "Let's get out of here," Hawk said.

Storm sighed and was about to get into the front when Logan stopped her. "What did he mean when he said you brought Hawk back?" he asked.

"That's none of your business, Logan!"

Storm gave her a sharp look, but Hawk ignored it. She could tell Hawk was infuriated with the entire situation, but there was nothing Storm could do about it. She turned back to Logan. "What do you say we go back to the hotel, and I'll tell you over drinks?"





You must login () to review.