As Storm led them off the jet, she noticed a third person coming out from behind the trees. Her breath caught in her throat when she realized who it was.

XXWI

Logan heard Storm gasp, and when he turned, he saw Sabretooth walking toward Magneto. He noticed Storm stiffen slightly and gently placed a hand on her shoulder. She gasped and whirled on him, only to relax when she saw who it was. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine," Storm mumbled, averting her eyes. He could tell that she was not fine, but didn't press the issue. Storm was a strong, proud woman, and she would not show anyone weakness in the slightest.

XXWI

" His name is Colonel William Stryker," Magneto was saying, "and he invaded your mansion for one purpose he wanted Cerebro. Or enough of it to make one of his own." Magneto was sitting on the other side of the fire with Mystique and Sabretooth on either side of him.

"But that doesn't make any sense," Jean said. "Stryker would need the Professor to operate it."

"Which I think is the only reason my old friend is still alive."

"Oh my gosh," Storm said. She looked at Jean and saw that she was thinking the same thing. Logan didn't have a clue though.

"Hey, now," He said looking from Jean to Storm, "What are you all so afraid of?"

"While Cerebro is working," Magneto said Charles's mind is connected to every living person on the planet. If he were forced to concentrate hard enough on a particular group, let's say mutants for example... he could kill us all."

There was an awkward pause. "Wait a minute," Storm said. "How would Stryker even know where to find Cerebro in the first place?"

"Because I... told him," Magneto said with a sigh.

Of course you did, Storm thought.

"I helped Charles build it, remember? Mr. Stryker has powerful methods of persuasion. Even against a mutant as strong as Charles.

"So who is Stryker anyway?" Jean asked.

"He's a military scientist. He spent his whole life trying to solve the mutants problem. If you want a more intimate perspective, why don't you ask Wolverine." Logan looked up. Jean and Storm looked at him stunned. "You don't remember do you? William Stryker the only other man I know who could manipulate adamantium. The metal on your bones, it carries his signature."

"But the Professor-" Logan began.

"The Professor trusted that you were smart enough to discover this on your own," Magneto snorted. "He gives you more credit than I do."

"Why do you need us?" Storm asked.

"Mystique," Magneto said, looking at her. "Has discovered plans of a base, that Stryker's been operating out of for decades. We know that's where he is building the second Cerebro; but, we don't know where this base is. And I believe one of you might."

"The Professor already tried." Logan said.

"Once again you think it's all about you," Magneto said, looking up. They saw Kurt hanging in the tree.

"Oh, hello," he said.

After he came down, Jean did a small reading on his mind. Even though it was only a few seconds, she felt Sabretooth's eyes upon her. She shook it off, but not without Logan noticing. He gave her a concerned look, but she returned it with a hard stare that told him to drop it. Kurt cried out.

"I'm sorry," Jean said. "Stryker's at Alkali lake."

"That's where the Professor sent me, there's nothing left."

"There's nothing left on the surface, Logan, the base is underground."

XXWI

After the meeting, Storm decided to take a walk before going to sleep. It was real unsettling to have Sabretooth so close; especially after what happened at the train station and Liberty Island. She reached the campsite and headed to her tent, which was across from Logan's. Suddenly, an arm grabbed her as she was about to lay down. It forced her onto the ground and she stared up into the eyes of Sabretooth. His hand was clamped over her mouth to keep her from crying out. He quietly shushed her and stroked his claw down her cheek the way he had on Liberty Island. "You owe me a scream," he whispered.

She had little options. She couldn't bring down a lightning bolt on him, and charging the air to create one would take too long. There was no way, from the position she was in, that she could fight him off of her- he wasn't Toad. If she screamed, she would just be appeasing him, and crying out would be no use. She had one other option. Clenching her fist, she created a roll of thunder that shook the clearing, followed by a series of lighter rolls. Hoping someone would check in on her.

XXWI

Logan had just kicked Mystique out of his tent, when he heard and felt the thunder. Usually, he would figure that a storm was on it's way, but the smell of ozone told him different. It was coming from Storm's tent. He also picked up someone... Sabretooth! Sabretooth was in Storm's tent! Jean caught up to him a moment later. "What's going on?" she demanded.

"Sabretooth's with Storm."

"Oh, Lord," Jean muttered.

Logan opened Storm's tent, to reveal Sabretooth on top of her, his claws extended. "Get away from her," Logan growled, unsheathing his own claws

Sabretooth was suddenly flipped over, and Storm scrambled away from him. Logan turned to Jean, who just shrugged. He wasn't fooled though. Jean gently took Storm by the arm and led her out of the tent.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Storm nodded hesitantly. "Fine."

Jean gave Logan a worried look, then turned back to Storm. "Did he get you with his claws?"

"No. Not this time."

That's good, Logan thought, wondering why he was even thinking those thoughts.

"Maybe it'd be best to sleep on the jet tonight," Jean suggested.

Storm nodded, and slowly started to walk back. Logan turned to Jean. "Is she going to be okay?"

"She'll be fine, Logan. She's just in shock, and she's upset that she couldn't fight him off without help. Storm hates showing her weaknesses."

She gave him a small smile, then went up to the jet.





You must login () to review.