TITLE: FRIENDSHIP - A tale of deception
AUTHORS: Mick'n'Star micknstar@fastmail.fm
Rating: G
Pairing: Ororo/Logan, in fact they're married.
Disclaimer: X-Men are Marvel's, story is ours. We don't make any money, in fact we lose some and Marvel's getting free publicity.
NOTE: Do not archive without permission We welcome every feedback, including negative ones. We can't do accents, as all will readily see. If FB consists of 'the accents are all wrong' consider it posted and by us humbly accepted.




FRIENDSHIP
A tale of deception

To Phil

It had started badly and it was rapidly going downhill. The tension was mounting by the second and Ororo and Jean exchanged worried glances.

"I never imagined you would deny the evidence, Wolverine." Rogue said in an icy voice. She was standing ramrod-stiff and her whole posture was an accusation.

"I don’t deny no evidence, kid, and you can stop playing big bad leader. I wasn't in your room at all and that's all it's there to it." Logan was annoyed, but not really angry, though it was clear to everyone he was getting there.

"Then who trashed the whole room? Who slashed the bed to bits? Who left claw marks? *Claw* marks, understand? Who else here or elsewhere has fucking big adamantium claws, *Wolverine*?"

"How the fuck do I know? I wasn't there, period. And who the fuck elected you judge and jury, *kid*? Playing leader has gone to yer head."

"I saw the marks, Logan!" Rogue was furious now, she had just started her shift as team leader and she was unsure enough of herself to see dangers to her authority everywhere. "Maybe the others let you walk all over their face because you scare them, Logan, but you don’t scare me. Let me touch you and prove your innocence."

"You like it, don’t you?" The Wolverine's rasp was a sneer "You got addicted to trial and murder. The buzz from doing yer very best to kill Gambit hasn't lasted enough, has it? What you gonna do? Drop me off somewhere to die as well? Killing X-Men's yer new kick now?"

"Don’t' you dare!" Rogue screamed, unaware she was becoming shrill.

"Rogue, please, calm down." Ororo's voice was grave "Your accusation is unfounded. What reason could Logan have to destroy your room? This has been clearly set up by one of his enemies."

"Of course you would defend him, Storm." Rogue said dismissively "Next time at least spare us the 'mysterious enemy' defence."

A gust of wind rattled the panes and the sky became lead.

"Why 'of course'?" Ororo icily asked "Unless you mean I'm not in the habit of accusing my teammates, as you seem to glory in doing."

"Stop insulting me! That's an order!"

"Rogue!" Scott had moved near Logan, clearly taking sides. "This is not how a team leader of the X-Men should talk and act. You should initiate a proper investigation in this matter. Nobody is guilty until proven so."

"I don’t need lessons from you, Cyke. Why in hell don’t you all go see my room? Don’t need forensic to see 3 parallel claw marks on steel."

They all filed out, but Rogue and Wolverine. He gave her a long steady look and said: "Don’t know what you up to, Rog and can't say I like it whatever it is. Don’t push me too far, understand?" Then he turned on his heels and went out leaving the suddenly trembling girl alone.

******

Storm hadn't gone to inspect the room, she had no doubts there would be marks. Rogue could be unfit for leadership and utterly obnoxious, but she had no reason to invent a thing that could be easily checked. Storm was just as sure they were not made by Logan's claws. She needed to talk to him, she hadn't liked to see the sneer on his face, she knew only too well it masked a real hurt.

When Wolverine came stomping out of the room she started walking with him, not touching him but very near, so he could feel her body heat and, she hoped, be comforted.

"I know it wasn't you." She said simply "We must find who has set you up and why."

Logan was silent and brooding, barely acknowledging her presence. Head down, he went out of the mansion and into the park. He really didn't wish for her to go away, but he couldn't bring himself to talk for a while.

Storm walked with him, near but not touching, and only the leaden sky and gusty wind betrayed her anxiety. When they entered the wooded area, she tried again.

"Logan, talk to me, please. You know I'm here for you, I'm not letting you brood alone."

With a sigh the Canadian stopped and raised his head to look at the woman he loved more than life.

"They won't believe me, Ro." He said. "I'm fighting this, but I know they won't believe me and they won't care. I thought I had friends, but only you and Scott spoke up."

"Jus' tryin' to be fair, chere."

"What the…?"

"Had to go an' see. Ther' are shallow marks that look like claw marks in a couple of places, that's all. Know it wasn't you, wanted to see these famous claw marks myself. We jus' need to find out who has some adamantium stashed away."

Logan's mouth snapped shut.

"Gum…" he croaked and gulped. "Gumbo, I… Thanks, I guess. Dint know why you hadn't… Well, you explained that. But I thought… Well, she's your girl and…"

"Was. I know why she's so hard. She's scared. She should step down an' give command back to Scott or Ro, but she won't. She can't admit she has no krotting idea of who or why so she goes for the throat. You're my frien', mec, am not letting her fear mak' you look like a monster."

Remy was smiling, but his eyes were worried. He'd expected Logan to be in full raging mode, but he looked almost defeated. Almost. He caught the gleam deep in the sky blue eyes and his smile widened.

"So Stormy?" he grinned "Any ideas?"

Ororo was so relieved that her brother of love was on their side she let 'Stormy' pass and answered his question seriously.

"No, not yet. But I'm sure we'll find the culprit."

"Yeh." Logan growled "But not standing here gabbing and being clever. I've decided to report this to the Professor."

"Oh, good!" Storm suddenly smiled and the clouds began to clear. "I'm so glad you decided this, darling." She at last could grab her beloved man and pull him close to her. "You're not alone anymore, you know?" She added.

"Weh, you got good frien's an' good lovin'. You two mak' a lovely couple." Gambit was smirking good-naturedly "Didn' find the right moment to tell you this, but I always thought you would be." He nodded sagely "Fine symbolic union of moon and beast"

"Git off!!"

"Remy…!"

Laughing at the playful shoves he got, the Master Thief headed back to the mansion. It was all good and nice to be able to make his friends laugh, but he didn't like that incident one bit. 'This jus' the start' he thought, 'wont stop here. Hope Logs talks to the professor at once. Better keep eyes open.'

*******

Gambit was right. Two days afterwards Warren came back to the mansion and found his room vandalised.

"All my uniforms! All of them!" he raged in assembly.

"Have your tailor make more, Warren." Jean said curtly.

"Why isn't that animal locked up? What are you waiting for, Rogue?" Wings unfurled to their fullest extent, Angel looked more like some huge bird of prey than the ultraterrene being whose name he bore. "Are you waiting for that… that… rampaging beast to tear one of us to shreds? Why don't you show some real leadership and have him locked in a holding cell?"

*snickt*

Quick as a snake Gambit was up and in Warren's face. He was taller than the winged mutant, and his long elegant muscles quivered with outrage.

"Apologise, connard." He said in a level voice totally devoid of humour or irony.

"Or what?" Worthington's scorn filled voice rang like a challenge.

"Or you will have to go beg Poxy Lips to give you a new pair of chicken wings." The smile on the thief face reflected the pink-red light of the energised fanned-out packs of cards that had suddenly appeared in his hands just touching the spread wings.

Reflex made Angel furl his wings at once and slump in a defensive half crouch. Fury at his discomfiture made his flush fiery red.

"Am not energising your face, p'tit poulet. Now beg the gentleman's pardon." Remy towered over the crouched teammate, his face lit by a ferocious smile and glinting eyes.

"You'll pay for this, thief!" Warren managed, throat closed by fury. "Rogue, you take charge or I will take command. You are clearly unfit."

"Remy, stop that at once!" Rogue was really furious at herself, but habit made her divert her anger to Remy. "You're out of line."

"Yer afraid of that overgrown chicken, kid." Logan sounded disgusted "I had thought better of you."

"Don't talk to me like that!"

"Why not, chere? The poulet does."

"I said stop it, Remy!"

"Hard to keep command, innit, kid?" Wolverine sounded sympathetic and that made Rogue feel off balance. She hadn't expected understanding and was a little shamed by it.

"No." she said, but then she added. "Warren, you are not in charge of anything, you aren't even a full-time member now. I'm sorry for the damage to you room. Mine was thrashed too. I know who the culprit is, but he wont let me prove his guilt. Or innocence." she added.

"By sucking his soul away, Rogue? Is that why you keep harping on it? You want Wolverine's power, don't you?"

Logan smiled at the tigress defending him and patted lovingly her arm.

"Calm down, lovey." He said "I'm not going to let her touch me, anyway." He turned his attention to the others "Someone is damaging our property and using some contraption to leave *my* trademark. I'd hunt him or her down for damaging my team, but for *that* I'm hunting and teaching a lesson that someone won't forget in a hurry."

"Will you come to this one's room with me, mon ami?" Remy turned his back contemptuously on Angel.

"Why the fuck should I?" Logan was dumbfounded, but Ororo understood at once.

"Of course!" she beamed at Gambit, who bowed graciously. "You can smell out who it was, Logan! Come with us!"

"As if he would accuse himself!" A recovered Angel scoffed.

"That's quite enough, Warren." Jean's magisterial tone reduced the captain of industry quickly to the status of a naughty schoolboy. She got up and added to her teammates "Shall we, ladies and gentlemen?"

They all trooped to Warren's room. Nothing was left intact and on the steel frame of the window two rows of parallel scratches mutely accused the feral mutant.

"Stay out." Logan said briefly and went in. Almost at once he understood it was useless. He sneezed and came out.

"Somebody's been cute and smeared everything with vanilla. Can't smell a thing."

*******

"Do you mind if we talk a bit, Logan?" Scott sounded uncertain and the moon bleached all colour from his skin making him look like a ghost.

"Nah. Unless you wanna lecture me." Wolverine was hunched on a log at the edge of the woods. The last days had tired him, but he was still alert and seemed more to be trying to solve the mystery than to brood.

"I have no intention to." Scott replied and sat down on the log. "It's just… We have had our divergences in the past, true, but I don't like the way some of us have treated you so… Just wish to be friendly."

"Thanks, bub. You think I'm the thrasher, though, don't you?"

"No. actually I don't."

"What? Why not say so to Rogue, then?"

"She has to learn to be a leader, Logan." Scott sighed ."You've seen how she has no control on the situation. But if I step in and assume command, I'll be no better than Warren, don't you see?"

"Yeh." Wolverine sounded tired all at once. "So you use good ol' Logan to test her out, cause he ain't gonna get hurt, huh? He's got him a healin' factor."

"No, I'm sorry you think so. I'm giving Rogue a chance, but I won't allow her to damage anyone." Scott sounded sincere and Logan relaxed again.

"Yeh well, see that Ro and Remy don't damage her first."

A burst of genuine laughter greeted this sally and Scott breathed easily.

They talked for a while, small things and light banter, like old friends. 'Not yet a friend' Logan thought, feeling much better 'but he could become one. Had misjudged ol' One Eye.'

"Wanna beer?" He asked his new friend and grinned at Scott's open mouth.

"I should have known! Where have you hidden them?" The former leader asked, laughing.

"D'you want it or not?" Logan teased.

"Of course, man, pass the beer!"

Wolverine took a six-pack from behind the log and grinned, wolfishly.

"Here, man, catch!" he said and raised his own can in a toast "To friendship." and he guzzled down his beer.

"To friendship." Scott repeated and took a sip.

TBC





You must login () to review.