Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the late update, hope you enjoy :)
Logan stopped one inch from the door. James gurgled. He made a sound and Logan heard it as clear as day.
That one miniscule sound echoed in his ear and in an instant Logan whipped his head around to see the image of the mother of his child whimpering and shaking with utter ‘shock’. “‘Ro…?”, when Logan had got her attention, she looked straight at him with blank irises. Her eyes were white

“Logan…Logan” she breathed trying to fathom and process in her already disorientated mind, why her once lifeless baby was now squirming in her arms and giving off heat. He did not make another sound…But suddenly he spluttered and a burst of continual infantile wails spurted out of his little mouth.

“Um…Stan?!” Nurse Evans’ voice elevated as she turned to the Doctor Clark and put both hands on the sides of her face. “I checked! I swear, he was gone, he stopped breathing at- he-he was gone...” The thoughts were running through her mind. If Ororo had said that she did not want to hold him, this nurse would be walking back with that premature baby that maybe would ‘wake up’ in her arms…which would cause her to drop him in shock.
James would not stop crying

“Miss Munroe- we are going to need to take that child back, to run some tests- this is not natural and I am sure even for mutants…” he stopped talking as he paced rapidly towards Ororo’s bed and vainly stretched out his hands to take the child that was now shrieking in Ororo’s arms. She clutched him tighter.
“No- No! You will fail again, I-I can’t take that risk-no-no please leave him with me” Ororo’s breathing was frantic but she would not let go of her son.
“No, please, Miss Monroe, give me James” the nurse tried to create a wedge with her hands between Ororo and her little James who’s cries were close to impairing any form of communication.
She needed to ensure that this baby lived. She could not, no; she would not allow herself to get in to that type of trouble- to have a mutant baby die under her surveillance. “Miss Monroe! Please, we cannot risk losing James again… We need to have-”She moved in front of Ororo in order to try and reason with her.
She frantically but carefully removed her hands from where they were before and light grabbed Ororo’s shoulders, she looked in to her eyes…”OH CRAP!” Nurse Evans squealed and jumped away which caused her to lose her balance and fall south.

-
Tabitha Evans had not seen a lot of peculiar things in her few years working as a nurse in this hospital at this side of New York. However her experience at nursing school had prepared her for most of them, some of which being too tragic so she decided to focus on the midwifery side of things. Because, really, what could be more joyous than watching families welcome a new baby in to their lives? The thought was beautiful. However, she began to see the sad side of a baby being born. Soon she became used to words such as, ‘miscarriage’, ‘abortion’, ‘still birth’, ‘disfigurement’, ‘neglect’ , ‘maternal death’ and a lot more other words to add to her vocabulary that would make her job nothing more than it was, a job. She thought that she was going to love it, when she was given a post at this hospital, how wrong she was.

But now, all she could do was laugh within herself, because of the sudden twist of events. Just within the last two days, she was nursing a bed-ridden woman and helping her deliver her baby but now she was the one, trapped in a bed with a continuous beeping sound that reminded her that she was alive.
“Tabby…water?” Doctor Clark offered her a cup of water that she slowly took.
“Thanks, Stan” Tabitha sat up, sipped and let the cool liquid run down her throat. She then sighed, “…I…I don’t know, maybe I’m not cut out for this job after all”
Doctor Clark only chuckled at sat on the seat at the side of the bed. “…You carried a supposedly dead baby that turned out to be alive and then you saw the mother’s eyes go clear white…”
He then leaned forward. “Your reaction was average if anything…That was quite a fall you took though, Tabby”

Tabitha felt the gash on her head that came with a complementary bump and bandage. She rolled her eyes and muttered something about how being a firewoman would be a lot safer.
“Look…It shocked me, yeah, but it didn’t shock me as much because I’ve been a doctor for a very long time…You’ll get used to it, Tabby”

He was right, he had seen people come out of comas after many years, he had seen Christians come and pray, maybe sing which restored life apparently because people he had then pronounced dead were singing hymns in the next hour. He had even had his fair share of sudden deaths. What had just happened with that Miss Monroe and her child only shocked him and fascinated him because they were mutants. People he had never met before, to the best of his knowledge.

Doctor Clark smiled at Tabitha but this time got up, “Just rest, I’ll get back to the whole…mutant thing, and I’ll check on you later”
Tabitha nodded and sunk back in to the bed.

-
Logan paced slowly up and down the room with his arms folded in to his chest. The sound of his heavy footsteps filled the room almost overpowering the monotonous beeps of the machines.
He sighed but almost silently and released his arms from the fold that he had made with them.
He finally made his way to Ororo’s bed and then bent down to pick up the discarded pamphlets that had fell off Ororo’s lap during the “awakening” of their son. While in the position he read the title of one of the pamphlets in his head.
‘Mourning a miscarriage- the support and guide…” Logan’s thoughts trailed off when another leaflet caught his eye. It had been pushed under the bed during the ‘shock’ and folded in a rare way. Logan could only make you the words “stillbirth”; he then fully crouched down and reached out to get this one and another two that had found their way to the ground. He folded each of them individually and slid them in to his pocket. Discretion was never one of his strengths but he did this as subtly as possible so that Ororo could not see his ‘just in case’ actions.

Ororo had been silent for the last hour…or maybe it only seemed like hours to Logan as in this time he had been left with his thoughts. He looked at her stare in to as he gradually came up from his stooping position. He peered down at her as if for the first time seeing how low down she was from him. In times like this, Logan longed for Xavier’s telepathic skills …because it seemed that only the strongest of telepaths could decode Ororo’s mind. Then again, Logan missed Xavier. It was as simple as that. He would have known what to say to Ororo to melt her icy exterior and make her see reasonably. Charles would offered…no… he would have given Logan all the advice that an expecting father would need whether Logan wanted it or not and after receiving one of Logan’s sardonic or flippant comments, he would have chuckled and continued with what he was doing as he knew that Logan had absorbed every word of his advice. Logan…missed…Charles Xavier.
But then Logan realised the main problem. It would take another man to decrypt the mother of his child. Because that was what Ororo was, the mother of his child and he was the father of hers. His eyebrows furrowed while his eyes remained on Ororo’s head. He knew that she did not see it that way.

“I’m not losing him again, Logan” Ororo whispered, finally breaking the verbal silence and peering up and eventually staring in to Logan’s eyes. Her statement sounded more like a plea than an affirmation.
“I can’t” she ran her hands through her ivory locks and then put her on her face.
“Not many women get...” her eyes began to well up and she removed her hands from her face, “…get that chance”
“What will I do if I lose him, Logan?” she sniffed and wiped the tear from her eye.
“I will not bear it…I can’t…it’s too hard for me…my only son…my only child”, she began to imagine scenes of the aftermath of all this. Going back to the mansion, clearing away all the things that she had gotten for him, mourning in her bed and rejecting all forms of comfort.
“Logan, what will I-“
“OK, Ro!” he finally snapped. Ororo moved back in her bed frowning and showing her confusion at his reaction.
“Yeah…You…You all the fu-…all the time…I could possibly lose my baby too, Ro”
“What? Logan I know-”
“No, ya don’t know! ‘Cos you seem to think that you were the only one in this whole process- He’s my kid too”
“But we’ve just been through this…I know” she whispered this time, trying to find a hint of compassion in his eyes, but there was none. “Logan…”
“No, ‘Ro”, he crouched near the bed coming very close to her face. “What were you gonna do, ‘Ro?”
“W-what?”
“Tell me…” he leaned closer “…what were you gonna do?”
“If he didn’t…?”
“If he didn’t wake up, you know what I am asking you” his stare had become more intense and Ororo backed even further away.
“I-I…don’t know” she said clearing her throat quietly and plucking up the courage to look in to his eyes. “I don’t know... you can’t…what kinds of a question is that?”
“Don’t lie…what were you gonna do?”
“I wasn’t going to do anything” she lied uncomfortably and Logan detected it. The image was very clear. She was going to leave. She was going to go back to the mansion, mourn, pack her bags and silently leave.
“Where were ya gonna go? Scotland? Africa? Tell me” he grabbed her by her shoulders and she immediately pulled away from him. He could see the anger building up inside her as her temperature rose and she shuddered furiously.
“You don’t get to touch me like that, Logan. Are you insane?”
Logan eyes were now shining with unshed tears of rage…rage nothing more.
“’Ro…I can only tell ya that…You’re a selfish, vindictive b-”
“Oh…I see you have learnt new vocabulary…now learn to leave me alone” she almost spat it at him.
“Ya know what, ‘Ro! I’ve done my…”
Logan stopped speaking as the door was slowly pushed open and their doctor came in to the room.
Doctor Clark saw the almost combat like position that Logan had taken and Ororo vulnerable form in the bed.
“Miss Monroe?...”
Ororo sighed and nodded as if telling him that she was alright, another lie that she had managed to squeeze in without speaking.
Doctor Clark came towards the nervous mother in the hospital bed and gently touched her shoulder.

“Your baby…would you like to see him now?”


Chapter End Notes:
:) hope you enjoyed, review review!



You must login () to review.