Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay...umm don't hate me especially when you read this... :) think of the bigger picture
After having stood in the sterile white room for over 5 minutes, Ororo finally ‘spoke’ to her son first child,
“Oh James” she breathed while peering close trying not to affect the incubator that nested and supported her firstborn. She stared at his features again, only blinking after long intervals and rimming her fingers along the apparatus. His once mocha skin was now mottled with rose undertones and the strands of hair that appeared silver had now darkened , thickened and appeared more…wiry? She longed to see his eyes but she did not lament as she knew that it was possible now, not like before when his eyes appeared firmly and permanently shut…
No, she decided that she was not going to think about that anymore, there was no need, her baby was fine- well…better than before. He had been born about two months before his due date and so was clinically premature she reminded herself. She promised herself that she would be the best mother that this child could have- but no longer were her thoughts internal- she began.
“How will I explain this day to you…seeing that you will stay with me long enough” she whispered but there was a tone of humour under her voice. The weather witch smiled a watery smile as one tear slid down her cheek- the tear didn’t take residence on her face for long; she wiped it, almost as quick as it came.
“No, my son, I will no longer cry…there is no longer a reason to cry, is there? You are here, James. You stayed” she whispered again in awe, “…and I am ever grateful, my child”. She did not want to touch him but she walked around the other side of the incubator, with her face still bearing a small genuine smile, and resumed her position of hovering over it and leaning in to peer at James.
“I promise you that I will be the best mother that you could ever have” she told him this time, “…yes, I will scold you ...and… and reprimand you when the moment calls for something as such” she silently chuckled, “…but you will always know that I love you, that ‘we’ love you…oh James I love you so much”
This time Ororo allowed a stream of tears to come because they had come due to her happiness and not sorrow. She ran one hand through her hair, the action done out of relief. “…your father loves you…so much”. Ororo moved back this time and pondered her last revelation to her son. It was as if the realization had hit her and she put her hand to her chest. Logan DID love their son, he had already done so much, he was the one that urged Ororo to keep him...She let the guilt wash over her but returned back to her ponderings.
Logan loved their son and her. He looked after her when she was carrying little James in so many ways. Logan was right; her had bathed her and given her so many things when she was nesting their baby. A knowing smile crept on to Ororo’s face when she remembered the deeds that Logan had done in the prior months. Yes, he had done a lot, like massaging her feet…even if it was by force. She remembered how she came and slumped on her queen sized bed in her attic room and complained about how much she believed that her feet had swollen up. He was there for here, suddenly grabbling and tickling her feet until she gave up and allowed him to massage them with a smile on both their faces.
Her current smile slowly faded, she had pushed him away so much that now he responded with anger. When her doctor had asked them to come and see their child they were already midway in to a huge argument. Her doctor had to assist her off the bed as Logan had already walked out of the room. Her resentment for him then had caused her to tell him that she wanted time alone with her son firmly; he did not argue, only lifted up his arms in defeat and let her proceed. But she felt his glare. However, when she was looking at her son that she conceived with Logan, she could not feel anything other less than love, respect and affection for him. This moment was to be shared with James’ father. Ororo quickly gathered herself and whispered soothing and affectionate words to her son. She would now accept Logan’s love and give him back nothing less than that.
Logan stalked towards the waiting area in search for his team mates that had offered their support. He was truly grateful for their presence…even though he did not know it before. He intended on putting them out of their misery, he didn’t know how long it had been, but he knew that the others were none the wiser concerning James’ death and…resurrection? Rebirth? Awakening? Logan did not know what to call it.
He was more than happy that he had his son but unfortunately his face did not show this. His jaws were tight and his eyes sullen, his eyebrows were slightly creased together in a subconscious frown. ‘This should be the happiest moment of my life’ he scowled inwardly, “…it’s just her” he seethed this time externally. For these past months, he had done a lot for Ororo and he had intended to do a lot more for her also. Intended to. He would know give all his affection to his little James. He loved him. Yes, he would ‘set him straight’ if he ever crossed that line but yes, he loved him and always will. James’ mother on the other hand…
“Logan!” he heard a woman call out his name but due to the familiarity of her scent and tone of voice, he knew who she was
“Hey Red…where’re the rest of them?” he inquired realising that she was alone. Jean smiled a small smile, it was the first time in a very long time that Logan had called her a pet name of any sort. Logan had realised it too. He was grateful for Jean’s presence. She had played the supportive friend role in the past months leading up to James’ arrival and he had really appreciated it. Her clinginess and almost wanton behaviour with him prior to those months had turned him off considerably but now…she no longer showed these desperate traits. He studied her, she had removed her jackets and was now wearing a red shirt…that fit and revealed the right places and black jeans that reminded Logan for some reason how long her legs were. Her lips were now rubies to him and her green eyes, emeralds. Somehow, her red hair seemed more vibrant on her milky skin…
“I sent them home…I was on my way to get some coffee” she whispered answering him whilst staring in to his steel grey eyes and meeting his gaze that had just finish making a trip from her body, she cleared her throat and continued, “Rogue was saying something about how hospitals are not the best place for her, Kitty was struggling to stay awake…”
“…and Scooter?” Logan asked while coming closer to her and lowering his head.
“Scott…well I made him take the girls home. I assured them it would be fine…that James would be fine…I did not intend on lying, Logan…” she put a hand on his shoulder and replaced her small smile with a mask of concern. “…is he fine?”
Logan was close enough to Jean that now her perfume was all that invaded his nostrils; he took her hand from his shoulder and squeezed it.
“He’s…he’s good, Jeannie”
Jeannie? Jean only smiled again.
“I’m happy for you, Logan. I know that you are a lot of things…” she chuckled, “...but a good father happens to be one of them…I just know it” she said the last line in a whisper. Yes, Ororo was the lucky one she pondered as she examined Logan’s rugged masculine features. She looked up at his hair, those wiry ebony locks had been in her hand before, and those eyes had once only been for her also. Those lips…she had felt them against her own countless times. She only smiled with her eyes when she realised just how ‘lucky’ Ororo really was. Logan was roaming his eyes over her too. Their eyes stayed glued to one another and it had managed to bring back memories, memories that Logan had thought had died along time ago…and memories Jean thought that were just that, they both leaned in closer but just as quickly as they leaned in Jean jumped back when she saw a flash of ivory and sienna.
Ororo was stood about a meter away from the tableau that consisted of the father of her baby and her...best friend. She only managed these words.
“James…you…you can see him now”





You must login () to review.