Don't you dare look out your window, darling,

Everything's on fire

The war outside our door keeps raging on

Hold on to this lullaby

Even when the music's gone

Gone

Storm hung out with Jean Grey- aka, the Phoenix and Storm's closest friend, who was more like a sister to her than anything else- for most of the day a few days later. Jean was ecstatic that Storm was finally able to hang out with her and began a long story about what was going on at the school, her relationship with Scott, etc. "So, how have things been going between you and T'Challa?" She suddenly asked.

Storm looked up in surprise, but then sighed and shook her head. She couldn't lie to Jean. "Not very good, Jean."

"Oh?" Jean inquired.

Storm looked away, tucking some hair behind her ear. "It-it's hard to talk about..."

do you mind if I look into your mind? Jean asked telepathically.

There was a slight hesitation, bit then Storm shook her head. No.

the tingly sensation she felt a moment later confirmed that Jean was gently probing her mind. Storm made sure to keep herself calm and relaxed, the slightest hint of negative emotion could cause the slightest hint of static and give Jean one heck of a headache.

For Jean, though, she would've preferred anything else than what she was seeing right then. It all came to her in small flashes, but those flashes were enough to give her the gist of what was going on. She saw T'Challa throw Storminside a room, and Sabretooth attack her right after; Storm being whipped by someone as the Panther watched; the worst part of it was when he forced himself on Storm- doing anything but raping her, since she wasn't struggling or resisting in any way- which was probably out of fear for being whipped again, and maybe because she still had feelings for the guy. There was a look of disgust on her face, but she did well to hide it from T'Challa and pretend to enjoy herself.

Jean had enough of what she saw, and escaped Storm's mind with a sigh of relief and disgust. "Storm, why didn't you call me? Or even Sue for that matter?"

"T'Challa wouldn't let me contact any of you, or I risk another beating," Storm whispered. She took a sip of her drink and looked away. Feeling very uncomfortable under Jean's gaze.

"Storm come back to the mansion with me. We can protect you there."

Storm shook her head. "I can't. He'll have someone posted there to take me back to him."

"And you think staying with Logan is your best option?" Jean asked pointedly. Storm had a sneaking suspicion that she knew about the incident from a few days ago With Sabretooth.

Logan moved us to a hotel, but he thinks that we should be able to go back to his apartment within the next day or two."

"Us?" Jean inquired.

"Not like that, Jean."

"Whatever you say, Storm."

SaS

Storm flipped on the news after reaching the hotel as she sat on the queen sized bed. Logan had insisted that he take the couch and she the bed, so she obliged him, since she knew arguing with him was pointless. The news report talked about the latest arson attacks on buildings close to the Avengers Tower, Baxter Building, and one was even hit in Westchester.

Logan walked into the room a few minutes later. "Hey, Storm," he called.

"Hey," she replied, sighing as she flipped off the television. "How was the mission?"

"Wasn't needed today, though Fury did have me monitoring some of the young students that are potentials. How's business on your end?"

"I filed for divorce just before I met up with Jean," she said, hoping to keep the tension she felt out of her voice.

Logan sensed it immediately, though. "Somethin' wrong?" He asked, walking over to her.

Storm sighed. "These buildings that have been targeted for arson...I can't help but think that it's for me." She shuddered and Logan placed a comforting arm around her. "It's going to be okay, 'Ro. I'll be with you every step of the way."

SaS

After Logan brought Storm back to the apartment at the end of the week, he took her out to a nice dinner. "You didn't have to do that," Storm said as they walked back to the apartment. "You've already spent too much on me when it came to room service."

"You're worth every cent, 'Ro," he said, placing his arm around her shoulders. He sensed the tension in her muscles, but knew that it wasn't him causing it. "Worried about the divorce settlement?"

Storm nodded. "A little. I don't care about the money, but I'm worried about how he's going to handle it."

Logan looked at her and sighed. "Probably not very well; but, he'll have to deal with me first, if be plans on laying a single hand on you."

Storm gave him a small smile, and he kissed her on the head. Over the past couple week, he knew something inside of him had changed. It was a good warm feeling that he'd never felt before- or at least he thought he hadn't- and he strangely welcomed it. the need to protect Storm grew everyday, including the need to protect her from himself, should the need arise. He longed to see her happy. it wasn't long until he realized that he wanted to see her happy with him. But he dismissed the thought before it completed itself. He was beyond worthy of a woman like this. Once the divorce was final, she could have a go at anyone, and he would just be a memory to her.

They entered the apartment building, and he thought about possibly leaving her here for awhile- but then thought better of it. He wouldn't be able to live with himself. After she said goodnight, she went to her room and Logan went out for a walk, making sure that the door was locked. He needed to clear his head.

After about an hour of debating, Logan came up with the decision to let Storm decide if she had feelings for him or not. If she did, he would let things unfold between them and see where it went; if not, he's keep his mouth shut. The smell of smoke brought him out of his thoughts, and he looked up in horror as he saw the floor he lived on on fire. He was about to race up there when somone knocked him over the head.

SaS

Storm awoke to the sound of sirens and walked to the window. She could only see the building in front of her was on fire, but she could sense that that the buildings on all sides of the apartment were also on fire.

her eyes flashed white as she conjured a storm to help with putting out the fires, but she was interrupted when she smelled smoke. She turned to see it seeping in through the bottom crack in the door. She reached for the knob, gasping as it burned her , but still grasped it and tried to move the door, but it wouldn't budge. She then went for the window, but it was sealed shut. "Logan!" She called through the door several times, coughing up a storm as she continued to inhale smoke. She once again tries to use her powers to break the window open, but it was difficult to concentrate since she was coughing so much. It wasn't long before she felt light-headed dans soon passed out.

The door was smashed open, and someone picked up the Goddess, and escaped out the freshly broken window.

A/N: Who is it?





You must login () to review.