A day or two passed before Logan found himself back in Ororo’s room. It wasn’t planned, but for the better part of the day, he’d been feeling sullen. Logan knew the why without trying. It was three things, culminating into his shitty mood. For one, Logan hadn’t been laid in a month and a half-- coming close to sealing the deal with Ororo brought that sobering realization on. Two: Logan had a series of nightmares all last night, and while he’d been trying to shower away the sweat, a flashback hit. And third: He hadn’t been able to talk to Ro.

After THAT night, as he labeled it, she’d been distancing herself from him. Logan couldn’t blame her, but it didn’t mean he liked it. And while he didn’t have many friends, he knew they weren’t supposed to be awkward around each other. And he knew they were being awkward around each other because when he tried to pick up their teasing banter, she paled and came up with some obviously bullshit excuse to get away from him. It sucked. Really.

Logan tried talking to Jean about it without giving away too many details, but it proved useless. Jean claimed she just needed some “time alone.” She said Ororo was a complex woman who liked her solitude. As if hadn’t known that! There was a moment when he entertained the idea of talking to Chuck about it, but that was immediately dashed. That old man doted on Storm like a daughter and Logan could bet good money that Charles wouldn’t want to know about what almost happened in Logan’s bed.

So that brought him to her loft door. She was in there, he knew. After dinner, she opted against joining everyone in the game room-- it was movie night-- to “do some light reading in bed.” Beyond that, he could smell her in her room. Hear her, too. She was talking on the phone to someone she knew fairly well, judging by her light voice. Without hearing the other side of the conversation or even the name, Logan knew she was talking to Gambit.

Jealousy flared in his chest and he beat her door, demanding entrance.

“...One second.” Ororo lifted away from the phone. “Yes?” she called.

“It’s me, Ro!” He twisted the knob. “Let me in. We gotta talk.”

Ororo bit back a groan. “It’s open.” She turned back to the phone and sat up. “I’ll call you soon.”

“Yeah, petite? Y’ said that the last time.”

Chuckling, she shook her head. “This time will be different. And this friendship thing is a two way street. You have to call me, too, Remy!” she said, indignant. Logan walked to her bed and hunkered down, kicking off his boots. He crawled up to the headboard, then folded his arms behind his head, waiting. The conversation was over for the most part, even if she dragged it out, that much was evident. “I’ll call you. Bye,” she said sweetly.

When Remy said his goodbyes, Ororo looked over at Logan. The man was becoming too used to the layout of her room. Pinching the bridge of her nose to center her thoughts, she forced herself to not overreact. She knew why Logan was in her room and she supposed this showdown was evident. It was best to get it out of the way now then drag it out till later. “What book you reading?”

“Yellow Pages.”

Logan snorted. “Funny.” He glanced at her phone. “That Remy?”

His relaxed demeanor was confusing Ororo. “It was... Was there something you needed?”

“I can’t just want to be with my friend?” he asked, cornering her before stood a chance. Logan held her steady gaze, watching her slowly cave. There was no way to fight the well prepared unless you fought dirty. Logan fought dirty. He opened his arm, waiting for her to fill the empty space. She obliged him. When her head settled on his sternum, she sighed. “What?”

“Your chest is filled with metal,” she pouted.

Chuckling low in his throat, he rubbed her arm, pulling her flush against him. “Well, whaddya know?” He cracked his knuckles, making that sickening sound of metal scraping metal. “I am.” She punched him, snorting, then lowered her head back. A time passed with them lying like that, quiet, cuddling, and completely content. He missed being with her like this. The whole mansion was constantly buzzing, draining Logan. It didn’t take long for him to appreciate the genius behind Ororo’s greenhouse and her loft-- both were separate from the world.

Eventually, Ororo felt herself drifting off. It was too early to sleep so she elected to talk. “Logan?” she asked, her voice a decibel above a whisper.

“Yeah?” he asked, his chest rumbling. Had she not spoken, Logan probably would’ve fallen asleep. It would’ve fine with him-- he needed sleep.

“Do you ever get tired?”

He knew she wasn’t talking in literal terms. His slow beating heart felt like it was breaking for her. Poor Ro, she cared too much. “All the time, darlin’. All the time.”

Ororo brought a graceful hand up to his chest and traced patterns into his skin, her mind a million miles away. “When you get tired, do you go to your cabin?” she asked.

Logan captured her hand and pressed a kiss to the palm absentmindedly, then laid it on his chest. “Sometimes. Other times I just go.” He smiled. “You wanna see my cabin?” Thinking it over for a second or two, she nodded wordlessly. “Then I’ll have to take you.” Because he needed to get away just as badly as she did, he was grateful for her response. After a moment, he licked his lips. “But other times, I just travel. Been places you wouldn’t believe.”

Ororo propped her head up on his chest, her eyes trained on him. For a moment, Logan was fixed by how beautiful she was. Tucking a few strands of her flowing white mane behind her ear, he thought about her parents, and how thankful he was for their existence, no matter how brief it was. He’d heard parents say their greatest contribution to society, and their greatest achievement, were their kids. How true this statement was when applied to Ororo. She was one of a kind and among the best of them easily.

“Let me ask you a question, Ro.” She made a sound of agreement, then waited. “If I never loved Red, would you have been with me?” Her whole body tensed and Logan regretted his question. They were having a perfectly good moment, but in true Logan fashion, he ruined it. “You don’t have ta answer if yer--”

“Yes.”

The Beast reared his head, ready to acquiesce her should she be ready. Flaring his nostrils, he couldn’t find the scent of arousal, but certainly interest. It was a good enough sign for him. “Weren’t you the one getting into a huff about sex getting in the way of our friendship?” he joked.

“I was. But I’m a woman, Logan. I have needs that have been largely ignored,” she said bluntly. Cocking her head to regard him, Ororo sat up, running her hands down his chest. “You are an attractive man, Logan. I’ve heard of your prowess in bed and have wondered what it would be like to be with you.” She leaned forward, her white hair making a curtain around them. Gently cupping his cheek and running her thumb over his lower lip, “I would have slept with you and worried about the consequences later,” she purred in his ear. Logan nipped her thumb, causing a smile to break out on her face. “Easy now.”

“Tease.”

“Who said I was teasing?” she asked, her voice noticeably huskier. With a chuckle, she rose from the bed.

Sitting up, Logan followed her movements. “Where ya going, Ro?” It wasn’t necessary; she was heading for her terrace-- anyone with eyes could see that. She pushed the doors open and looked out at a sun fading into the horizon.

“I thought I might enjoy some cloud dancing.” She gripped the edge and sighed, slumping her shoulders and resting her forearms against the brick. It was impossible, though. She had the will, and even the way, but the kids were still awake. And Logan was feeling needy. Her lips twisted into a smirk at the implication. “Alas, I cannot.”

He joined her, nodding. “The kids’ll be asleep soon enough.” Copying her stance, he looked out at the horizon, watching the sun sink back. When he was infatuated with Jean, sunrise and sunset became even more romantic. The streaks of red were like her hair; foolishly, he thought the sun less amazing than a woman he could never have. Logan supposed reality gave better perspective than an illusion, but he wasn’t poetic or nothing. An idea struck him. “Ya could be nekkid in Canada all the time.”

Ororo let out a bark of laughter. “What?”

“You heard me, kid. There ain’t a whole lot of people near my cabin. ‘Sides, I keep the place booby trapped.” He looked at her and waited for her reply.

“You keep your cabin booby trapped?” she asked, her snowy brows furrowed in confusion.

The look was so heartbreakingly cute, but her naiveté was even cuter. Poor Ro, trusting everyone when nobody deserved trust so inherently. Even Storm with all her grace didn’t get Logan’s good faith until he started talking to her, and there were even limits there. Although, Logan had to admit that if she kept doing whatever it was that she was doing, she could become his right hand woman. “Yer really asking that question?” He cocked an eyebrow.

Oh. “Right. I had a... moment.” She folded her arms under her chest. “It would be nice to be--”

“Butt ass naked?” he interrupted, a smirk on his face. She punched his arm. “God, y’ hit like a girl,” he teased, rubbing the spot.

“Would you like me to really hit you?” she tested, charging her fist with electricity until it cackled.

Smirking at her display, he put his hands up in defeat. “Pass.” He leaned back against the ledge and crossed his arms to his burly chest. “Since we’ve finished our playful banter, why don’t ya answer the question, Storm?”





You must login () to review.