Author's Note: This is the chapter that kicks off Chapter 1 but I'm almost positive everyone gets how this story flows.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Marchesa, I just really love their clothes.
__________________________________________________________

“...After this, we should go get some sushi. I know this great place that stays open till two,” Yukio said, watching Ororo fix her lipstick in the bathroom mirror. Yukio hated that she couldn’t be more than a close friend to Ororo, especially after seeing her in that dress. It was a simple, white gown, form fitting and backless. It wasn't particularly sexy, Yukio figured, but wasn't there a saying about the woman making the dress?

“Sounds good, but after this, I just want to go home. My feet hurt,” Ororo said, kicking her heels. Her silver shoes were sexy but incredibly uncomfortable. All she wanted to do was go home, hop in her shower, and eat her cookie dough ice cream while simultaneously eating cold Thai leftovers. Mmm... Thai food. She’d been craving the spicy stuff.

Yukio rolled her eyes. “Fine, but we’ll go for sushi tomorrow. For lunch.”

Sushi for lunch... She couldn’t risk putting her baby in danger. “What if we went for brunch instead? My treat.”

“Well, when you say it like that,” grinned Yukio. She looked at Ororo and grunted. “You done yet?” Ororo wiped lipstick from her teeth. “It’s just gonna get licked off. It’s a waste.”

Ororo chuckled. “Just because you don’t care about your appearance doesn’t mean I don’t care about mine.” Yukio muttered something under her breath and Ororo caught the tail end of it. She bursted out laughing and held her stomach as she laughed. “Calm down, Yukio, I’m almost--”

“--Did yah’ll see her dress? Oh mah God!” Marie said, looking back at an unseen friend. “I’ll be a minute. Just gotta fix my hair.”

Ororo tensed as she watched Marie walk in. She avoided eye contact with Marie. They had yet to patch up their differences, but Ororo was tired of cowering when Marie walked in. The hatred Ororo once had for Marie was gone, now there was just feelings of longing. Ororo missed her friend, but she wasn’t about to go crawling back to Marie. Not after she caused the rift between Ororo and Jean. Instead, Ororo held her head slightly higher and continued checking for lipstick on her teeth.

“Marie,” Yukio acknowledged flatly.

“Yukio,” Marie returned just as flatly. “Ororo; you look nahce.”

“Thank you,” Ororo said tersely. Capping her lipstick and putting it into her clutch purse, she turned to Yukio. “I’m done. Let’s go.”

“Finally,” Yukio groaned dramatically. Ororo smirked. “You think it’s funny but you really were taking forever--”

“Ororo,” Marie called.

Ororo looked back, her face indifferent. “Yes, Marie? Something you’d like to say?”

Marie, for a moment, looked repentant. Ororo held her breath, waiting to hear it. She just as though Marie owed her an apology; adults did not go off half cocked and embarrassing each other like that. After an awkward, pregnant pause, Marie spoke up. “You look really pretty.”

Ororo wanted to scream and cuss Marie out, but she said thank you and walked off. She was, after all, better than public embarrassment, name calling, and throwing coffee in people's faces. “God, I hate that bitch,” Yukio whispered. “After what she did to you.”

“I did it to myself,” Ororo whispered back. “But thank you.” Her eyes met Logan’s; he discreetly motioned for her to meet him outside. “If you’d excuse me.”

“O’course.”

Logan followed Ororo’s long form, his pants becoming tighter. God, she looked so sexy in that dress. How dare she do that to him?- dress like Viper’s antipode and look so sexy while doing it. When they were alone he was gonna show her just how... bothered... that dress made him. But first they had business to attend to, the trick being how to act like they were just chatting each other up. Logan joined her out on the balcony, a shot of whiskey in hand.

“You look handsome,” she said softly, tucking a loose strand of white hair back. She’d put her hair in a braided chignon, but the wind was doing its best in messing it up. Logan really did look handsome. The suit fit the hard planes of his body and left her wanting to tear it off his body.

“Eh. I feel goofy,” he said, raising his arms, “but thank you. High praise comin’ from you.” Logan put his whiskey on the ledge. “You look gorgeous, darlin’.”

“Thank you,” she blushed. Ororo took a second to look at him before turning away. She rested her elbows on the ledge and looked out at the city. New York was always so beautiful at night. “So we both look our best tonight,” she said absentmindedly.

Logan hummed his agreement while swishing his whiskey around in the glass. He took a second to look out at the city, taking in the lights and how noisy it was. He wanted to be alone with her in quiet, but this wasn’t so bad. “So did you get the pictures?” he asked excitedly and quietly.

Ororo grinned and opened her clutch purse. She wasn’t just keeping her cosmetics and keys in the thing. Ororo slowly pulled out a black and white photo of their baby and handed it to Logan. He snatched the photo and just gazed at it in awe.

In a sea of black was a little grey form. Logan had never seen something so beautiful... Well, he had-- his or her mother was an absolute stunner-- but this was different. That little blob was a little piece of him in her. His heart did a strange swoop to his gut and he just felt warm. They were parents and he was looking at photographic proof. Logan wanted to drop to his knees and kiss her still flat stomach, but he couldn’t. He had to wait.

“So beautiful, Ro,” he said, his voice dreamy and cherishing. He rested his cheek in his palm and smiled stupidly at the picture, oblivious to the noise in New York. The world suddenly left quieter and much nicer. “Just... fuckin’ perfect.”

“Only you would curse when looking at a sonogram,” Ororo joked.

Logan laughed. “I’m sure I’m not the first dad in the world to say their kid is fuckin’ perfect.” Dad. Oh, he liked that word. It felt nice. “Did you get extras?” he asked suddenly. She nodded. “Good.” He took out his wallet and put the picture away, safe from where Viper might get it. When he got home, though, he was framing it. He turned back to Ororo, serious. “What’d the doctor say?”

“She said I’m fine. Two months along. She gave me some vitamins and said I should up my protein intake.”

“Good,” he agreed. He was nervous about that. While he was positive she’d get enough calcium and vitamins, he wasn’t sure she’d get enough protein what with her vegetarian diet. “She say if you needed to gain weight?”

“She said my weight is fine so far but I should expect to put on at least twenty pounds.”

“Any foods you should avoid?” he drilled, his arms crossed over his chest.

“The usuals: raw meats, certain fish, unwashed veggies, certain milks and cheeses...”

“I’m not worried about the meat and fish but you better wash those vegetables. Wash ‘em twice. The same goes for your fruits. And don’t you dare go out and drink caffeine. I’ll buy you a truck load of tea, but don’t you dare drink a coffee or soda.” Ororo tried to fight her laughter but failed. “I’m serious, woman! Don’t--”

“Serious about what, dearest?” asked Viper, walking out onto the balcony. Ororo fell silent, their reality coming back as she watched Viper but her hand in the crook of Logan’s elbow. Logan quickly shot her an apologetic look. “Serious about what?”

“Nothin’ ya need ta concern yourself with, Ophelia,” Logan said, anger laced in his words.

“Hm,” she said dismissively. Turning to face Ororo, Ophelia smiled. “So what’s your name? And I love your dress, by the way. White’s so... chic.”

Ororo looked at Viper’s black Marchesa gown. It looked expensive and fresh off the runway. Ororo wondered if she killed the model who wore it... “Ororo,” Ororo said, “Ororo Munroe.”

“Ororo Munroe,” Viper said slowly, trying it out. “How exotic. It must be African. What’s it mean?”

Ororo gave a tired sigh. “It is. It means beauty.”

Ophelia hummed. “How fitting.” She turned to Logan. “Wouldn’t you agree, Logan? She’s incredibly beautiful.”

“Yes,” he agreed, his voice... Nervous? “She is.”

“Are you married?” Viper asked suddenly.

“Divorced,” Ororo said, unsure as to why she said that.

“How sad. Any man would be lucky to have you. But I guess not everyone can be so happily married as Logan and I,” she said. Viper looked at her husband and gave a contemptuous smile. “Despite our bumps in the road.” After an awkward pause, Ophelia turned back to Ororo. “We should be getting back to the party. People to meet,” she explained brightly.

“Right,” Ororo said, annoyed at Viper’s existence and Logan’s obedience. Ororo turned back to the ledge and watched the city lights, annoyed.

“It was nice meeting you, Ororo,” Viper said as she walked back to the glass doors. When Logan held the door open for Viper, she paused. “Oh, and Ororo?” Ororo looked back, but out of courtesy and not respect. “A bit of advice: You should try looking in different places for a man. There are no good men in bars, but you look too...” Viper flicked her eyes over Ororo’s form, “mature to be hanging in bars.” They both glanced at a tense Logan. “But I sympathize with you if you’ve tried; the good ones are all taken.”





You must login () to review.