Two months.

Two goddamn, heart wrenching months.

That was how long Logan had to wait before he found an opening. And what an opening! It was everything he wished it would be: Loud, messy, damning, and on the news. And even better was how it involved another man making Logan’s affair look less original. Of course, it couldn’t immediately be tied back to Viper, but it definitely had hooks in her past.

Johann Schmidt, the head of a pharmaceutical company, made the big mistake of letting slip an anti-Semitic slur during an interview on national television. He didn’t know he was being recorded-- they were on “break.” When he said the word, it was during that layover news channels often had-- that break between “we’ll be back after this commercial break” and “cut.” Instead of holding his fake smile, he relaxed in his seat and started talking.

A rookie mistake for a veteran.

When it happened, people started questioning his employees if they knew about his racist tendencies. The ensuing investigation uncovered all sorts of scandals, particularly the human testing of his drugs. The drugs did horrible things to people; they caused cancer, infertility in men, fetal deformities of the facial kind, and polyps in the colon, stomach, and uterus. Schmidt’s response, of course, was to place the blame on other companies who had a stake in the testing.

The press had a field day.

Logan watched, so absorbed that he nearly forgot about Viper’s connection to Schmidt. Almost. stray article surfaced on the internet asking how Schmidt could’ve gotten away with his atrocious crimes against humanity for so long without being noticed. The author asked the most important question of all, the question the press had yet to ask: Why was Schmidt letting all the superfluous names go and not the name that not only okayed the testing but protected him for so long?

It’d been glaring Logan in the face for so long, just waiting to be discovered. No wonder Viper left her cushy life at HYDRA to marry a poor bar owner. Viper was a tactician, after all. She saw this coming and got out before she could go down.

Oh, Viper was clever, but not that clever. She was human, after all.

In the midst of all the chaos, Logan took a trip to HYDRA headquarters under the pretense of wanting to talk to Kraken, the founder of HYDRA. Kraken, who wasn’t expecting Logan’s intention, gladly saw him. But after ten minutes, Kraken knew he’d made a major mistake. Wanting to avoid to the press conference, Kraken gave Logan everything needed to get Viper to agree to a divorce so long as the information was never released. Logan agreed to burn the records after their divorce.

Logan had never been so happy to go home.


The day Logan showed Viper everything was probably the second happiest day of his life. He didn’t tell her off like he’d always imagined, instead he took extreme pleasure in watching her face fall as she signed the divorce papers with a shaking hand and tear filled eyes.

“You’ve finally gotten what you’ve always wanted,” she said, her voice wavering. She clicked the pen and handed it to Logan.

“Yup,” he said happily. Logan put the pen in his pocket; he wanted to save it as a memento.

“You’ll finally get to be with her.”

“Yup,” he repeated, this time giving her a confused look. Shit. She was really crying. “What’s wrong with you?”

Viper gave him a desperate smile behind her tears. “You care?” Viper wiped a tear from her eyes. “I’ve been waiting for twelve years to get you to care about me and it finally took until now.” Viper frowned infinitesimally. “I honestly only ever wanted us to be happy.”

“We never woulda been happy, Viper. I hate you.”

“Viper?” she asked. “That’s what you call me?” She didn’t know? Logan nodded slowly, damned confused now. Viper breathed a laugh. “Fitting, I guess.” Viper moved towards him, lacking all the maliciousness she once held over Logan’s head. She put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it once before pressing a kiss on his cheek. “I... hope you’re happy with her.”





You must login () to review.