Author's Note: This is gonna bounce from viewpoint to viewpoint... if it gets confusing, leave me a SPECIFIC message about where the confusion is and I'll fix it. Also, this one is gonna be a tad over dramatic but I was like "whatever; who HASN'T watched a soap opera with their grandma?"
__________________________________________________________
Sunday passed too slowly for everyone. Ororo spent all of Sunday doing her damnedest to forget about what she’d done and how much she missed him. Logan spent his Sunday sobering up to the sound of Viper shouting at him for everything; it didn’t compare to the ache of not being able to call Ororo. Remy spent his Sunday being pissed that shit ran downhill.

Marie spent her Sunday thinking.

She decided that she was not truly angry at Remy, but all her anger was directed to Ororo. How her friend could do something like that, she knew not. But what Marie did know was that it dragged up all those suppressed feelings she had as a child. Her mother was a prostitute; she’d busted up more than a few marriages and put countless through the ropes. Knowing Ororo was sleeping with a married man just made Marie... Sick.

How long had Ororo been sleeping with Logan? A while, based on what Remy said. That made things worse.

And that bitch! She had the audacity to warn Marie of Remy when she was opening her legs to man she had no business being with.

It was decided. On Monday, Marie was going to confront Ororo and let her know what was up. All things done in the dark had to come to light.



It was during lunch break that the fall out happened.

Marie went to refill her cup of coffee when she heard giggling in the teacher’s lounge. When she walked in, she was half expecting to join in on the fun when she saw Ororo. Ali, Kitty, and Jean were standing around Ororo, yucking it up, not knowing how much of a harlot Ororo really was. While Marie had planned on talking to Ororo about it civilly after work, now was just a good a time as any.

Marie approached Ororo, a smile on her face. “Hello, Jean, Kitty, Ali.” She dumped her cold coffee into the sink and faced Ororo. The brown woman looked... sad. Her eyes were still slightly red and puffy. Well, Marie wasn’t about to be affected. “Ororo.”

“Hello, Marie,” she said softly. “How are you?”

“Not too good. Ah saw Remy Saturday. We got into a fight.”

“Oh, you poor thing,” Jean, the school nurse, sighed. “What happened?”

“Someone came to his door at four in the mornin’, crying an’ drunk,” she said, her eyes never straying from Ororo’s blue. If she wasn’t mistaken, a look of worry flashed in Ororo’s eyes.

“An ex? That’s awkward,” Ali, the music teacher, said.

“No, not an ex. It was Logan. Logan Howlett.”

“The school’s benefactor?” Kitty asked.

Ororo shot Marie a pleading look, but Marie carried on. “Yeah, he got into a fight with someone.”

“Wait... He got into a fight with his wife?” asked Kitty.

Oh, Kitty. She was always so perceptive. Marie supposed that was one of the perks of being a genius. “No. That’s what made it even stranger. He got into a fight with his mistress.”

“Oh, no,” Jean said, covering her mouth.

“Yep. She left him and broke his damn heart.” Marie watched Ororo’s knuckles whiten over as she gripped her mug tighter.

“Wait... Why would you and Remy get into a fight if Logan was the one having problems?” asked Kitty, curious.

“Oh, because he was sleeping with Ororo,” Marie declared. “We got into a damn fight because Remy was keepin’ Logan and this harlot’s affair a goddamn secret!”

Ororo swallowed hard. “Ororo,” Jean said, turning to her best friend, “is- is that true?” Ororo looked at Jean, but was unable to answer. Her eyes were beginning to burn; she was so tired of crying but she knew she wouldn’t be able to stop herself from crying should Jean keep talking. “Were you really having an-an affair with Mr. Howlett?” she whispered.

“Jean--”

“Oh, shut up!” Marie hissed. “Don’t you even think about cryin’. I bet yah weren’t crying when you and Logan were carryin’ on. So scandalous. An’ ta think you were the one giving Jean the shoulder ta cry on when Scott was cheatin’ on her!-- no offense,” Marie added, putting up her palms. “She’s a hypocrite.”

Jean suddenly gave a mirthless laugh. “No, that’s not possible.” She shook her head, her long, red ponytail shaking. “You wouldn’t. You just wouldn’t--”

“You better believe it, Jean. Logan said her name. Remy said her name.”

Ororo reached out to Jean. “It’s not what you think--”

“Jean!” gasped Kitty. Jean had just thrown her coffee in Ororo’s face, ruining Ororo’s beautiful sky blue, silk henley and white pencil skirt. The coffee trickled down into Ororo’s tan pumps. Jean took one last look at Ororo before rushing off. Kitty squeezed Ororo’s shoulders before turning away. “I hope you’re happy,” she hissed at Marie as she shouldered past the southern belle.

“Yah’re mad at me when this here slut is openin’ her legs for married men!”

“You could’ve had more tact!” snapped Ali. “Come on, Ororo,” she said softly, guiding her coffee covered friend to the bathroom. Ali ushered Ororo inside the bathroom and locked the door. She sat Ororo on the toilet after letting the seat down and started grabbing paper towels to dab at the mess Jean-- and really Marie-- had made. Ororo was crying, her tears fat and her cries stuttering.

“She’s right,” Ororo said, letting Ali clean her. “I’m a slut. A harlot. A- a hypocrite.”

Ali shushed her and continued cleaning her. “You’ve made a mess.” When she was done, Ali stood and leaned against the porcelain sink and looked down at Ororo. There were so many questions running through her mind-- some of them tawdry and some of them curious-- but only one seemed appropriate. “Did you really leave him?” Ali asked. It wasn’t the question she wanted to ask, but it would answer a lot of things, like if she’d really had an affair with Logan.

“I did,” she whispered. “It was the hardest thing I’ve had to do since my divorce with T’Challa.” Saying his name didn’t hurt anymore. It hadn’t since she had Logan, and now he was gone.

“Why?” Ali asked, squatting before Ororo once more. “Why?”

Ororo looked at Ali, her eyes glassy and mooning. "I... I was trying to do the right thing." She gave a crazed laugh. "Look at the good it did me," she murmured. "I'm wet, friendless, and alone." Again.





You must login () to review.