Rubbing sleep from her eyes, Ororo felt a moment of disorient. She knew exactly where she was, and she hasn't had any alcohol, and yet she felt so confused. She sat up in her bed and palmed her forehead, trying to calm herself. There was a reason she never got overly emotional. When she did, she was like a storm, all over the place and a little scary.

She kicked off her covers, contemplating whether or not it was really worth it. She'd fucked things up-- no point in using nice language. Ororo sighed and began getting ready for her day.


Scott swallowed down his coffee, avoiding eye contact with everyone. If he spoke, he kept his sentences short and sweet and to the point. He wasn't a special case, no one was looking at anyone-- it seemed like everyone who lived in this house was good at avoiding things.

God damn Ororo. Why did she have to come back? Scott wondered.

And just like that, she walked down the stairs, beautiful and puffy eyed.

He hated her. For... Everything.

"Morning," she mumbled, more to herself than anyone.

Scott didn't bother looking up. Jean got up and walked away. And while Scott knew he was supposed to set up and follow his wife, he stayed put. He deserved some answers.

"G'Morning, darlin'," smiled Logan. "Sleep good?"

Ororo quirked a smile. "I sleep good, yes. Very good."

Logan grinned. "We're not in class, darlin'. We can use colloquial terms."

Ororo poured herself some coffee and sidled up beside Logan. "You can use 'colloquial' and not 'well.' You're a mystery, Logan." She took a sip of her coffee and smiled at him, making Scott absolutely sick.

"Same could be said for you," Scott chimed.

Ororo swallowed and put her cup down. "I assume you're talking about yesterday."

"What else could I be talking about, Ororo?" Scott bit. "You're acting psychotic--"

"If you want to talk to me, Scott, why don't you take some of that malice out of your voice. Lest I remind you of things best left unsaid," she hissed.

Logan looked between the two of them, feeling excited. Oh, he loved when Scott got taken down a peg. It was like Christmas: It happened only once a year and the gift was that red blush Scott got. That and the blessed silence. If he could, Logan would've rubbed his palms together.

This was gonna be good.

"Logan, do you mind giving me and Scott some room?"

"Yeah. Sure. This is the kitchen, and that's the hallway--"

"Are you being dense on purpose?" She teased, smiling. Ororo didn't want to be alone for what was about to go down. She bit her lower lip and took one of Logan's hands into hers. "Please. We need to be alone for a moment."

He didn't know why, but something in her voice tugged at his heart strings. Ororo was going through some real stuff, and Logan didn't want to make things harder for her, she'd done a good enough job of that on her own. "I'll go see if there's a bar that serves breakfast or something."

Ororo giggled, hating how girlish she sounded. "There aren't any bars that do that, Logan," Scott remarked.

"Do you just have to be a know-it-all this early in the morning, or are you really that much of a one-eyed prick?" Logan grumbled, walking away from the scene before Scott could fire back. With something lame, no doubt.

They waited until Logan was firmly out of sight. And while they should have checked for Jean's absence, they both knew she wasn't hanging around. Jean seemingly had an endless amount of patience and kindness, but whenever she was angry, it was like she was a completely different person. She was walled off and difficult; if there was going to be an apology, it would have to come from Ororo's end.

"What the hell is up with you, Ororo? The things you said to Jean last night, the things you said not too long ago... Yesterday evening at the pool?" God, his eyes still burned from the memory. "What--"

"I'm sorry for how I acted, but you know how things were when we were kids. You were over enough," Ororo started.

"Whenever I was over, I saw Charles treat you like a princess. I saw Jean treat you like a sister. You were practically a god to them, they worshipped you!" he said.

Ororo drew out a sigh. "Appearances are deceiving, Scott never trust your eyes."

"And what does that mean? That everything was a huge lie? You're being dramatic," he groaned, rubbing his hands down his face.

She blinked. "Fine then, Scott. I'm genuinely sorry for everything I said yesterday. I want to apologize to Jean but she's avoiding me. When she's ready to talk, I'll answer all her questions." Ororo gathered her cup and the breakfast she was preparing to eat. She dumped everything down the drain and faced Scott, a blank expression on her face. "Is that good for you? Even enough? Like the Ororo you know?"

Rolling his eyes, Scott folded his arms to his chest. "Really, Ororo, grow up."

"I did," she bit, facing him. "It's just that nobody seems to want to accept that. Not you, not Jean, not..." She breathed slowly through her nose, trying to stay calm. "I can never be free here."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Blah, I'm losing track of myself and I'm getting caught up in dumb stuff so if this feels rushed or confused, my deepest apologies. At any rate, hoped you enjoyed the allusions to their powers and such.





You must login () to review.