“Wow, really?” Scott faced Ororo, his mouth in a grim line. “Don’t you think that’s a bit dramatic?” Scott threw a hand in the air. “I forgot, you’re all about dramatics these days.”

“Scott--”

“No. Save it. I’m not in the mood.” He turned on his heel. “I’ll tell Jean that you’re willing to talk. I’m sure she’s going to take up on your offer. She won’t appreciate your antics, but she’ll finally get an answer.” Scott shrugged nonchalantly. “As for me,” he stopped in the doorway, flicked his eyes over her, and turned the corner to leave the kitchen, “I don’t think I care.”

Ororo stood stock still for a moment.

Scott didn’t care.

Scott always cared.

To him, it was all assessment. How people would react, how they should react. He cared: Always. And maybe not in the emotional sense-- Scott wasn’t particularly good with emotions-- but he still cared about being in the know. She didn’t really want to admit her truth, but at the same time, she still wanted to. It would be a relief, even she had to admit that. And now he didn’t care.

It was wrong of Ororo, for her to want differently, but she kind of wished he still cared.

So she rationalized and told herself he was just angry. He would calm down and then try and work things out. It was his nature and that was how things always worked.

Yeah.

“Hey,” Logan whispered, flagging her over. Had he been watching the entire time? “I was passing through. Saw you there.”

Ororo forced a smile on her face. “You’re strange.”

Logan shrugged, not really impressed. “Heard worse.” He cocked his head towards the foyer. “Wanna get out of here? Just a minute,” he added quickly. “You look like you need a break.” He shook his keys and grinned conspiratorially.

Ororo nodded. “I do.”

Logan waited. “So?”

“I can’t go, Logan.”

“Why not? Nobody wants you here.” Logan held up two hands. “No offense.”

Ororo inhaled deeply, trying to remain calm. “I understand I messed things up--”

“Damn near got Jeannie to slap the hell out of you.” Logan smirked. “Wonder if that would’ve worked,” he mumbled.

“What?” hissed Ororo, stalking towards him.

Logan rolled his eyes. “You’re lookin’ for a fight. I’m not giving you one. I’m an olive branch, Ro.”

“Some olive branch.”

“Look, kiddo, you’re not winning me over by actin’--”

“How? You’re one good line away from--”

“What? I won’t suffer one bit if you stop being my friend.” It was bullshit, but whatever. To a certain extent, he was telling the truth. That was enough for him. “You, however, will. You’ll be stuck in this nice ass mansion with two people who have no intention of moving out. If anything, they’re probably thinking about kicking yer ass out. And trust me, they’ll try. I hear ‘em whispering at night.”

Ororo scoffed. “They wouldn’t.” She glanced over her shoulder.

Logan’s face fell flat. “You sure? Think yer winning them over with your ice queen routine?”

“Original,” she said.

Logan grunted. “I didn’t think there’d come a day when I’d see eye to eye with Scott, but today...”

Ororo felt a flare of panic. She wasn’t the type to beg-- her pride kept her from asking for help-- but she knew that now was not the time to deny anyone. She was about to be trapped in a house she didn’t really want with two people who couldn’t care less for her and a man who... Well, she just didn’t want to have an awkward situation with someone she’d slept with. Been there, done that.

“Logan, look,” she started. Putting her tongue to the roof of her mouth, she thought quickly. “I’m not trying to start a fight. I’m just having the worst few days of my life.” Logan cocked a brow. “Things are... stressful. But I don’t need you adding on to my stress. And,” she continued, cutting off Logan before he could begin speaking, “I don’t want to put any of my stress on you.” Logan blinked, thinking it over. “Could we please,” she threw out her arms, “go for a walk or...” She sighed. “I just need some fresh air.”

Scott found Jean around noon. He’d gone for a jog and found himself unwilling to come back home. Funny how that was. When he got inside, he found Ororo wasn’t there. And neither was Logan. It almost made sense; Scott was angry about it. But what did he expect?-- for her to actually stick this out and come clean like she should have the first few nights?

Ororo wasn’t the type to give up her secrets.

Anyways.

When Scott found Jean, he was actively looking for her; she was where he expected she’d be: In the lower levels, specifically the lab. He wanted to give Jean the news.

“Really?” Jean said, her voice emotionless. “Well, that’s good.” Scott didn’t know what to say. “We’ll finally have our answer. The big reveal.” She grunted, hefting a large box. “Could you-- thank you.” Scott put the box in the closet, waiting. She was acting strangely. Ororo seemed to have an effect. “How was your run?” It was disconcerting.

“Fine.”

“Good.” Jean sniffed, not from tears, but from dust. She wiped her palms on her jeans and clapped them together, just to make sure. Habits, she supposed. “I was thinking, Scott.”

“About?”

“What you said. How she’s different.” Scott nodded. Jean faced him. “She better give a damn good explanation. I’m done with this.”


AUTHOR'S NOTE: NEXT CHAPTER IS GONNA BE THE ANSWER AND AFTER THAT THREE CHAPTERS TO WRAP THIS PUPPY UP. I feel really bad that I was away for so long that I SWEAR TO YOU I WILL GET THE NEXT CHAPTER UP IN SEVENTY TWO HOURS.





You must login () to review.