Ororo huffed out a breath, trying to remain calm. She wanted to let Jean's comment slide-- and she had, for the most part-- but it still bothered her. It was like a nagging sensation in the back of her mind. It was just another reminder that Ororo was no longer the person she once was. And it shouldn't have been a bad thing, but it felt like it was. She'd abandoned them. There was no other way to see it, but she'd abandoned her family.

"Why so down?" Scott asked. He didn't actively seek Ororo out; he'd been coming up from the gym when he spotted her curled up by the pool. "Hm?" He asked, dropping down beside her.

Ororo gave Scott a brief smile. "Nothing, really. Just thinking.

"I'm not entirely sure that answers my question?" Scott asked, breathing a laugh.

Ororo sighed. "I... Kind of had a run in with Jean. Didn't go well."

"How do you 'kind of' have a run in with someone?" Scott asked, twisting the top of his water bottle off.

Ororo kicked some water with her big toe. "We didn't exchange words and I won't bore you with the details, but she said something unsettling."

Scott took a pull of his water and waited. He'd noticed Jean's behavior but hadn't called her on it. Scott didn't want to make waves when he, himself, was bothered by Ororo's presence. He hated himself for it, but yeah-- he had questions. "What was it?"

"Well... She said I don't really know you guys anymore." Ororo paused, watching Scott's face. She suddenly started laughing, but it was a bit hysterical. She was daring him to contradict her, and when he didn't, Ororo quieted down and kicked more water, ashamed. Ashamed she laughed and ashamed she left. "Hm."

Scott swallowed his water. "Well... You have missed out."

"I didn't mean to."

Scott looked at Ororo for a long moment then squeezed her shoulder. If she wasn't going to accept her part in this mess, she wasn't ready to talk about it. "I'm gonna go hit the showers."

"Okay." Ororo smiled up at Scott, briefly admiring how handsome he was. He'd really grown into himself, she noted. "We'll talk later."

"I'd like that," Scott called over his shoulder. He jogged to the showers, giving a passing nod to Logan.

Ororo sighed, completely oblivious to the man beside her. Oblivious, that is, until he brushed his lips over her shoulder and slid a hand down her back.


Author's Note: sorry to cut it off here, but adding sexy times would mess up the flow.





You must login () to review.