Author's Note: jeepers... this has taken some time to get out. sorry! I hate awkwardly timed updates and I go and do the same thing! if this is confusing I swear I'll fix it.


Another few days passed. Ororo was hardly speaking to Charles or Jean, but her calls to Logan became more frequent. She hated how needy she was becoming. In the back of her mind, Ororo knew she had no reason to worry; Logan said he wanted to be there for her not matter what. It was just... She was afraid she’d become too pushy. Too sad. She was afraid he’d leave her. And honestly, if Logan left her, Ororo wasn’t sure what she’d do.

She sat on the wooden rocking chair on her back porch, watching the sun set. For a while, her mind was focused and distracted. It was amazing, how vibrant the sky could get. When Ororo was a little girl, she would stop whatever she was doing to watch the sun sink into the earth. As a child, she truly believed the Earth stopped its rotation to watch the sunset. How could she not? It was always beautiful and never the same.

When she was eight, she had a specific memory of dragging Charles out onto the back porch on one particular afternoon. It was cold and she was missing her shoes, but she wrapped her tiny fingers around his and pulled him towards the snow covered clearing. He was busy and she was getting sick, but she climbed into his lap and snuggled her little body into his jacket. In perfect silence, they watched the sun go to bed.

When the sky stopped being blue and the violets were melding with the midnight blues, Charles kissed Ororo’s forehead and smiled. “And now it’s time for our bed, too.” Of course she would protest, but Charles would be insistent. He told her there was no more sun and that meant there was no other reason for her to be awake. With a pout, she looked her wide eyes up at Charles and frowned.

“I just want to spend time with you for a little longer.” would always be her response

Maybe one day she would catch her child saying the same thing to Logan.

“The sun has set, little one,” Charles said softly.

Ororo wasn’t surprised. She’d heard the door open and close, the wheels on his chair, and the metal gears whirring. “Just a while longer,” she said softly, moving from her perch to sit on his lap. She was no longer thirty pounds, but there wasn’t much time left for her to sit on his lap. Soon, she would be swollen with two people’s weight.

“A while longer,” Charles agreed, stroking Ororo’s hair. They sat in silence watching the inky blues overtake the violets and deep reds in the sky. The moon inched forward, not as bright as the sun, but noticeable all the same. Ororo buried her head in Charles’ lapels, breathing in the scent of old books. “What’s wrong, Ororo? You’ve been so sad lately.”

She started tearing up. Not because of what she had to say, but because he noticed. Because he cared. For how much longer, she didn’t know. But she had to let him know now. The sun had already set.





You must login () to review.