"I'm a weather witch," she whispered.

"What?" Logan asked.

"Logan!" William called, followed by Victor and John. Logan gently grasped her by the wrists, pretending to hold her prisoner. Ororo started to struggle when she felt the pressure increase on her wrists, but one look in his eye told her to trust him. "I see you caught the runaway."

"Runaway?" Logan asked, pretending to look shocked.

"Yup," Victor agreed with a nod. "While I was trying to punish her, there was a loud clap of thunder, and she knocked me over the head. How she got out of the chains is anyone's guess, since I still had the key on me."

"Why were you trying to punish her, Vic?" John asked. "Last I checked, she was just helping us out with the horses. Thunder got a little agitated, and she was able to calm him. If it weren't for her, his stall would be demolished right now."

"She didn't go out with permission," Victor answered.

"I think the Boss would let that one slide, just this once," Logan said, looking at Stryker.

"I normally wouldn't but under the circumstances, I'll let it be this once. However, she won't have food or water for one day since she tried to run." With that, he turned and left. Victor snickered and followed the boss, while John helped Logan with the prisoner- if only for looks, there really wasn't a need.

Logan reached his bedroom and sighed as he sat back down. He wasn't sure what it was that was making him feel this way toward the slave. He typically didn't care about them, but this one... he didn't know, somehow she made him want her. He knew the rules about the black women and white men- usually, it was a master forcing himself upon a slave- and he was nothing like those men. He felt a great protection toward her, and wanted to make her feel safe and secure; not afraid like Victor was trying to do to her. He sighed and lied back, he was probably just too tired.

FL

"So you're a weather witch?" Logan asked the next morning as Ororo led Thunder around the corral where they could train in private.

"I guess," Ororo shrugged. "Some even said that I was a Goddess, but if Goddess's are immortal, then why am I a slave now?"

"Good question, darlin'," Logan said, signaling that they should stop. He went to go get the saddle, and placed it closer to the horse, who tensed.

"Easy, boy," Ororo soothed, "it's just a saddle, it's not going to harm you." She led him closer to the fence, and Logan got out of the way. Thunder sniffed at the saddle, then jerked his head back as if the saddle had punched him. Ororo couldn't help but laugh. "Go on, boy, try it again, it's harmless." Thunder sniffed at it again, this time, giving it an actual try. It wasn't long before he was sniffing into the saddle bag to see what kind of goodies he could find.

"What's the next step 'Ro?" Logan asked.

"Maybe some..." Ororo trailed off as if she had just remembered something, looking toward the main house.

"What is it, darlin'?" Logan asked.

"I'm not allowed to eat or drink," she said a little sorrowfully.

Logan realized that he had remembered the boss' exact words last night also, and felt guilty for not sticking up for her. "I'm not really hungry, anyway," he said suddenly; bringing Ororo out of her thoughts. "I'm sorry I didn't stick up for ya last night; maybe the boss wouldn't've punished ya if I had mentioned that you were just trying to hide from Victor instead of trying to run."

"It's alright, Logan," Ororo replied. "He's your boss, and my Master."

Thunder nudged Ororo's shoulder, as if asking what was wrong. She smiled and rubbed his forehead. "I love how horses can sense your emotions; you can't hide anything from them."

"Really?" Logan asked, trying to hide his current feeling for the woman next to him.

"Yup, but they're great at keeping secrets," she replied, kissing the horses nose.

Logan relaxed a bit, then returned to the business at hand. "So, what's the next step with him?"

"You'll see," she said, trailing her hands down the horses mane, past the withers, and onto the back. Then she slowly put pressure on Thunder's back. The horse's ears started to flick back and forth, but nothing happened. "Can you give me a boost?"

Logan knelt down next to her, and helped her on the horse. However, the moment she sat down, the horse went crazy. He reared and Ororo fell off, landing on her side. As Thunder galloped off, John went after him. Logan hurried over to Ororo's side. "'Ro," he said, gently shaking her shoulder. She looked up at him in a daze. "Are you alright, darlin'?"

"I-I think so," Ororo replied, holding her head as Logan steadied her.

"I'll take you back to the bunker, " Logan said, taking her arm and guiding her back to her living quarters. The bunker was empty when the reached it, since all the others were either in the main house or in the fields, which made Logan feel a little more comfortable. When they reached her bed, Logan noticed that she had a scratch just above her left eyebrow. "Wait here."

After a minute, he found a bowl, and filled it with cold water. He returned to Ororo, and started to clean the wound a bit. "You might have a concussion, so you should rest for awhile."

"Okay," Ororo said with a weak smile. Logan could tell she had a headache.

"I should probably help John out," Logan said when he was done. "So you just stay here and rest. By the way, can I call you Storm?"

"Sure," Storm chuckled.

When Logan came back to the stables, he saw John with Thunder. "How is he?"

"A little spooked, but I think he'll be fine," John replied. "How's the girl?"

"Probably has a concussion," Logan replied. "She's restin' for now."

"That's good," John replied, coming out of the stall. "I'm gonna turn in early."

"'Night, John," Logan said. He leaned over the door and watched the horse. "You should realize that she's harmless," he told the horse. "So, next time, don't rear when she's trying to get on ya."

With that he left the stables. Just before he reached the path to the house, though, he heard a loud scream... coming from the direction of the hole.





You must login () to review.