The next day, Victor took the dogs out and started them on the trail. This was mainly to mask the fact that he was also a good tracker by scent, but he also knew that he could use the dogs to get the witch, while he got his brother, or the other way around. "Find 'em, boys," he told the dogs as they started to track down the fugitives.

FL

Logan woke up just before dawn so that he could go hunting. Making sure he didn't disturb Storm, he slowly slipped away from her, got dressed and headed out. He found Thunder grazing in a clearing, close enough so that he was near the den, but far enough to give the two humans their privacy. "You're really one smart horse," Logan said, patting him on the neck. "Now, do me a favor and make sure nothing happens to her, or I'll make you my dinner."

Thunder only bobbed his head and nickered. Logan shook his head, and headed off into the woods. About an hour later, he had caught a deer and started to cook the meat, after skinning its hide to use as a coat. "Logan..." Storm whispered sleepily, her eyes slowly opening, just as Logan was serving the meal.

"Hey, darlin'," he said, grabbing the plates, and placing them by her. "Made ya breakfast."

"Should I ask what it is?" Storm said suspiciously.

"Probably not," Logan said, "but I don't think you'll complain much since it would be your third day without food."

"True," Storm agreed, digging into her meal. When they were done, Logan saddled Thunder up, and helped Storm up behind him. The deer's hide was in the saddlebag, where Logan would turn it into a blanket for Storm later on; her clothes weren't as thick as his, and the night could get very cold.

After a few hours, they stopped by a creek where Storm could bathe, and Logan could work on the deer hide. When she was done, they both settled down for a rest. "How much farther do you think it is to the border?" Storm asked, as they playfully measured each other's hands with their own.

"A good three or four days," Logan said honestly. "A week at the most."

"Which means we're in danger for at least a week until we reach the border," Storm sighed sadly. "If you must bind me for show, just let me know when you do it."

"Let's just hope it doesn't come to that," Logan said, kissing her on the head. "I don't want to have to show you off as a slave; I want to show you off as my wife."

"Too bad this country doesn't let you," she said, returning the kiss on the lips.

"Who knows?" Logan said, standing up and helping Storm to her feet. "The law could change a hundred years or so."

"And people with extraordinary abilities will join in those ranks also," Storm said playfully.

"That may be going too far," Logan said as he helped Storm mount Thunder, and then joining her. "But, who knows? Maybe they will." Kicking the horse into a canter, they started off again, not stopping until night overcame them.

FL

By nightfall, Victor was having trouble keeping track of the two. Thanks to the rain, he was only able to pick up the faintest traces of them. Other places were stronger than others, indicating they had stopped for awhile. He had found the den by midnight, and was sick with envy when he realized his brother had claimed the slave. "So much for not fraternizing with the women," Victor grumbled as he traced the body imprints, knowing that the smaller one was the women's. He would've given anything to have had her with him one night.

He knew the dogs were tired, and decided to turn in for the night. He would start again early, hoping to catch them before the other slave catchers could even try. "Enjoy her while you can, Jimmy," Victor whispered as he fell into a dream about him doing what he wanted with the Witch.

FL

There was an old abandoned cabin that the couple came across. Since it was past nightfall, and they could hear the wolves, they decided to stay there for the night. They settled with a large fire in the family room, and sleeping on the cushions. Again, that night, Logan found it hard to fall asleep; he didn't know what it was, but something told him that they better hurry if they wanted to reach Canada and make 'Ro a free slave.

"Are you okay?" Storm asked, looking at him with the utmost concern.

"Just thinking, that's all," he said. He didn't want to worry her if he was just being paranoid.

Storm looked at him a little more closely, but decided to let him be, and drifted back to sleep. "Don't be up too late..."

Logan chuckled, kissing her lightly. "I won't, darlin'." He said, drifting into a fitful sleep.

Logan and Storm were in a small town to pick up some food, when, all of a sudden, Victor comes out of the blue. "Hello, Jimmy," he said menacingly. There was a scream right next to him, and Logan turned to see three other men grabbing Storm.

"Let her go!" he cried, shoving the men off of her. One of them already had her bound at the wrists, though, and he started to drag her away. He fought off the other two men, knocking them out, and started to chase after them. The other man had put her in an enclosed box, that they used for transporting prisoners. "Slave catchers," he said under his breath, as he jumped onto the back of the box and began punching a hole in it. "Hang on, Storm!" he cried, forcing himself to work harder and harder.

"Hope you had the time of your life with her, Jimmy," Victor taunted as he galloped up behind him. "'Cause she ain't goin' to be yours any longer."

"No!"

FL

"Logan," Storm said, shaking his shoulder. "Logan, wake up."

Logan awoke with a start. Storm looked into his eyes, to make sure he recognized her and wouldn't harm her. "What's wrong?" he said worried he had harmed her.

"You were lashing out in your sleep," Storm replied, reaching a hand to cup his face.

"I'm sorry, darlin,'" he said, kissing her gently. She returned the kiss, and was about to deepen it, when she noticed something with his hands. "Logan, look."

"What?" he asked as she grasped his hand. He saw three bone claws sticking out of his knuckles. He looked on his other hand, and saw the same thing. Then he quickly did an inspection of his wife-to-be.

"You didn't harm me," she said, kissing him gently. "If anything, you ruined the couch."

Logan laughed, and wrapped his arm around her. There was a slight twinge of pain as his claws went back into his knuckles. "I guess you weren't the only one with extraordinary powers," he said, kissing her neck.

"I guess not," she agreed, resting against his shoulder as sleep overtook her once again. Logan, however, began to worry; he wondered what else he could do, and if his brother could do something also. Eventually he fell back into a fitful sleep, vowing that he would do anything to protect Storm... even if it was from himself.





You must login () to review.