She sat back down at their table and smiled. “So what--” Her phone buzzed and she grabbed at it. She read the message and bit back a smile. Finally, some good news. She quickly responded, but halfway through her message, she got another text. She didn’t stop the smile spreading on her face. It took more than a little effort to put her phone down and stop texting.

“Good news?”

Ororo smiled sheepishly. “Yes. Sorry,” she tried. She picked up her fork and stabbed it into her food. “So what--” Her phone buzzed again. She looked up, a little repentant, but she couldn’t ignore the text. She sent a message quickly, saying she was at dinner, but would call later. She put her phone down. Two seconds later, she got another text. And while she didn’t pick up her phone, she pressed the home button to read the screen.

“I ask how your day is going, but it still obviously is.”

Ororo thinned her lips. “Oh, come on, Hank; I apologized.”

Hank wiped his mouth with his napkin. “Oh, you certainly did,” he muttered. He threw his napkin on the table and continued eating.

Ororo sat back, her jaw a little slack. “I know I was being rude, but it was important.”

“Really?” he asked, dryly. “What was so important?”

“Marie told me Logan--” Hank rolled his eyes. “--finished building today. Really, Hank? You’re getting mad about who I’m friends with?”

“You’re friends with him now?” Hank asked, his voice hushed. He looked around and exhaled. “We should get going or we’ll miss the show.” He picked up his plastic tray and stood, waiting. “We can talk about this later.”

Ororo stared up at him, wanting to get into a fight, but not in public. She wasn’t a fan of childish games and Hank was acting childishly. They’d only been dating a few months and already he was acting like they were married. It was unusual, too. Hank was always very calm, very understanding, and open. She wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but she had to nip this in the bud. She rose and followed him outside.

The second the door closed behind them, Ororo grabbed at Hank’s elbow. “Hey,” she started. He turned and faced her. “What was that about?” she asked.

“I said--”

“I heard what you said, Hank. That’s why I’m asking about it.” She folded her arms to her chest. “What’s wrong with me being friends with Logan?”

Hank huffed a breath. “There isn’t anything wrong with you being friends with other men-- don’t think this is what this is about,” he said, motioning between them.

“But,” she said, knowing something was about to come.

“I don’t feel comfortable knowing you two have,” he flicked his eyes nervously, “a past. And you’re working with him.” He leaned in. “Don’t you think your relationship is just a little... Inappropriate?”

Ororo rolled her eyes. “We aren’t acting inappropriately. We went from hating each others guts to working together. There’s nothing wrong with being friendly with the people you work with--”

“There is, Ororo, and you’re just obtuse.” Hank took a calming breath. “We should hurry before we miss the show.”

It was childish, but the conversation they were having also felt childish, so she pouted her lips and frowned. “I don’t want to go.”

“Fine, then,” Hank said quickly. “Don’t.”

While she recovered quickly, she still felt a little hurt. “Good. I didn’t want to--”

Hank turned and began walking to his car. “Great,” he called over his shoulder.

Ororo huffed a breath and began walking in the opposite direction. She was aimless as she walked, but she knew her city like the back of her hand and didn’t feel like she’d get lost. Two turned corners and three blocks down she’d pass Jean’s workplace and if she took a sharp left and walked two more blocks, she’d be visiting Kurt at his fancy church. But she felt like doing neither so she continued walking.

Ororo didn’t know what to make of their... Argument? It didn’t get heated and yet they ended up mad at each other. And what was Hank really trying to get at? That she still had lingering feelings or something? How impossible! There were days when she still hated him for being a huge pig. She wasn’t in kindergarten-- she was capable of liking someone without being mean to them in the first place.

She stopped walking. “I don’t like him like that!” she exclaimed.

“Yeah, right,” yelled back a passing stranger. Ororo shot them a glare as they turned to their friends, giggling.

Ororo huffed a breath and took two more steps before she realized Hank was her ride home. She groaned and palmed her forehead. Just great.

She reached into her pocket for her phone. Jean was nearby.



They sat in relative silence, letting Jean’s favorite song roll over them. Jean tapped her thumbs happily against the steering wheel, humming along. Her red hair swished in time to the beat even though her low hums sounded terrible. Ororo smiled a little, reminded of the fact that Jean wanted to sing lullabies to her baby. The poor kid’s ears would suffer.

“If you’re thinking about the fact that I’m the best singer ever, just know I agree,” Jean smirked.

Ororo rolled her eyes. “As if.”

Jean pulled into the tight parking spot and smiled at Ororo. “So weren’t you supposed to be on a date?” Ororo cringed. “Come on, Ororo. You could’ve called a taxi--”

“You’re free--”

“Or taken the subway or bus or walked,” Jean continued, ignoring Ororo. “But you called me. So I guess you guys got into a fight? What about?”

Ororo bit her lip, trying to figure out how much she wanted to reveal. “Well... We got into a fight over my friendship with another man.”

Jean groaned. “I hate when Scott pulls that crap.” She patted Ororo’s knee. “I understand completely.” She narrowed her eyes when Ororo looked away too quickly. “Come on. Really?” She laughed. “You dog!”

“How can you laugh about this?” Ororo cried. “He really thinks I like someone else.”

“Sorry, but you’re always so squeaky clean. It’s just funny.” Jean sighed and grinned. “You don’t, right?”

“I don’t think I like your smile...”

“Because you wouldn’t have gotten into an argument like this if you didn’t.” Jean cocked a brow, waiting.

“I really don’t like your smile,” Ororo repeated. “Nothing has happened. You know I’d never cheat. I’m just pissed Hank thinks I would.” Jean nodded, her smile gone at the serious comment. Ororo opened the car door and stepped out. “Thanks for giving me a lift--”

“Any time.”

Ororo smiled and waved her best friend off, and headed inside. The second she closed the door behind herself, she got a text.

Mind if we meet for drinks? I wanna celebrate the job finally being done.-- Logan.

Ororo rolled her eyes; he had perfect timing.

She tapped out a text, letting him know she’d just gotten home.

He responded, saying he wouldn’t mind having drinks at her place.



Logan jogged up the steps of her townhouse, admiring the quiet neighborhood. Before he raised his fist to knock on her door, he told himself that this wasn’t serious and she was in a relationship. He nearly shook himself: What the hell was he thinking? They were friends; his dick could stay in his pants without being reminded. He was a human being, not an animal. She was with someone and they were friends so that was the end of that.

He was doing it again! He heaved a sigh and knocked roughly on her door. She answered quickly, looking frantic. “Hey, it’s cold out here.”

“Hello to you, too, Logan.” She stepped aside. “Come in.”

“I said ‘hey.’” Logan shrugged out of his jacket and draped it over her couch. He held out his gift-- bourbon in a brown bag. She smiled at him and took it. “You have a nice place,” he mused.

“Thanks,” she said. Motioning around her townhouse, “Make yourself at home,” she encouraged. She moved to her kitchen and grabbed two glasses. Logan sat himself on her couch, rubbing his chin. “Ice?” she asked.

“I’m good,” he said. He looked over at her. “You’re not gonna ask how excited I am?”

“I assumed you would just come out with it.” She winked at him and walked over to her couch, the two glasses in hand, as well as the bottle. She tossed her silvery hair over her shoulder and poured him a glass. “Do you want me to ask?”

“I’m certainly not gonna beg you,” he joked. His eyes were trained on her, watching her hair fall over her shoulder and cover her face. He reached over and tucked it behind her ear. Before she could say anything else, he jerked his hand back. “But it would be nice.”

“It would, wouldn’t it?” she smirked.

“Geez, Ro, are we talking about the same thing here?” he said brusquely.

She snapped up straight, glaring at him. “You can’t be serious!” She scoffed. “You and Hank!” She furiously waved her hand. “He implied the same thing.”

“I was joking, but Christ.” He took his drink. He wouldn’t put it past her to take the thing and chuck it. “You... uh... wanna talk about it? That-- I mean. You and... Hank,” he forced out, feeling awkward. He didn’t come over here to be blamed for something that hadn’t happened.

She flopped onto the couch and shook her head. “Sorry. I just wanted to get that out. I’m so pissed he feels that way. He actually thinks you and I have a history.” She rolled her eyes again. “We’ve just started being friends. The fact that we’ve had sex doesn’t mean we have lingering feelings. I mean, come on! We’ve got so little in common.”

“Yeah, but we’re soul mates,” he joked half heartedly.

Ororo chuckled. “Right.” She picked up her glass and raised it in the air. “No more sad stuff. Here’s to your recent success.”

“Cheers.”


There was a faint buzzing in his head and Logan wondered why his pillow smelled like vanilla soap. He rolled his head, groaning. He didn’t want to wake up. He was comfortable. His pillow adjusted, pressing itself into his face. Logan dimly wondered why that was, but he still wrapped his arms around it and held it down. “Stop moving, Ro.”

“You’re heavy,” she muttered, her voice thick and lazy from sleep. Logan huffed a breath and squeezed her tighter. Oh, that’s right. He’d passed out at Ororo’s house. He shifted to make her comfortable; she rubbed his back in thanks. “Thanks,” she mumbled.

He hummed his agreement, fighting the realization. It was too early to feel regretful.

The sentiment wasn't shared with Ororo.

She stared up at her ceiling, her mind hazy from waking up. Something was weird about this... Why was she always involving herself with a man she swore she hated? This man was the reason she and Hank were fighting.

Oh, no... Hank. What would he think about this? Ororo huffed a breath. Well, who cared what that man thought? Hank assumed the worst about her and Logan even after she was completely honest.

"Go back to sleep, Ro. Too early for whatever hell you're about to raise."

Ororo hated herself for it, but she smiled. "Who said I was going to raise hell?" she asked, her voice still sleepy. Logan clicked his tongue and rolled his head on her stomach to get a better look at her. He cocked a brow, forcing her hand. "Fine," she sighed. "But don't think I'm mad at you--"

"I rarely do. I always assume you're mad at yerself."

"Oh, do you now?" she purred, smoothing his hair down.

Logan shrugged. "Have for a while." Logan caught her hand and squeezed it. "I always assumed you got mad at me cuz you can't decide whether you wanna be with me," he released her hand and began sliding his calloused palms under her shirt, "or keep denying it."

Ororo stared at him, trying to figure out if he was being the cruelest man alive, but the way his touch felt... She bit her lip and sat up quickly, accidentally catching his chin on her knee. "Don't be weird," she said hurriedly.

"I'm not," he grumbled, rubbing his chin. "Ro, what--"

"Hank and I are serious."

"I didn't say you weren't?" Logan smiled. "Well, shit. I was teasin' you earlier. Couldn't you tell?" He got up and slid his hands around her waist, his hands once again finding their way under her shirt. He kissed her shoulder, listening to her shaky sigh. "I guess I know you better than I thought."

"Apparently not," she snipped, stepping away and slapping his hands. "Stop. You're getting way too friendly--"

"That's how you treat your friends?" Logan fell back on her couch. "Not sure how I feel about this development. Guess we're not friends." He grinned, much to Ororo's chagrin.

She soured her face at him, wanting so badly to wipe that smug grin off his face.

"Don't be angry. I'll buy you breakfast. At that spot you like?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "The vegan place?"

Logan wanted to roll his eyes. He hated how the food there tasted, but he hated seeing her look all worried. He had to remind himself: This wasn't his girl. "Sure."



Hank sat across from Scott, sipping his coffee slowly. "I just don't understand. We used to be so close."

"You guys are still close," Scott replied. "Every couple fights. Jean and I?-- well, we fight all the time. It's not a big deal. In fact, it's good to air out frustrations. Or so Jean tells me." Scott grinned at Hank from across the table. "What was it about?"

"Logan."

"Huh." Scott couldn't think of anything else to say. "So why--"

"They," Hank cleared his throat. "I'm not one to gossip."

"No. No, you're not." Scott swallowed, suddenly very interested. He tempered his reaction by swallowing another gulp of coffee.

"She and Logan... They once were... close."

"Oh. Oh!" Scott looked away, grimacing. But she was so tall! And while he was dedicated to Jean-- Ororo was undeniably attractive; few men were worthy of her, and Logan wasn't one of them. "I'm sure it was a one time thing," he said, trying to not sound like he was fishing.

Hank ran his hand through his hair. This was difficult for him. All his relationships seemed to get fucked up a major way. What was wrong with him? Wasn't he worthy of commitment? He'd done his best to be good to Ororo, and it seemed like she didn't want to do the same. "The worst part is that they used to hate each other."

"They knew each other before they were together?"

Hank nodded. "She met him on an online dating site. She told me." Hank swallowed some coffee, knowing he was being an ass. He was giving away more than he should have, but he couldn't stop. He was pissed. Retribution was needed. "I guess they've been keeping in contact."

Scott swallowed again, unsure of what to say to that. There was no way Ororo was so desperate as to meet someone online. That was just so dangerous. Anyone could've been there-- she could've met a potential stalker! But apparently, she just met someone who would barely qualify. Their working together didn't exactly constitute as stalking, did it?

Oh, no. They knew each other.

"Hank, we hired him for the contracting job."

Hank looked at his friend, suddenly regretting everything he'd just said. His heart seized up; he could do without a sex scandal while he was still dating the poor woman.

Well, he assumed he was dating the poor woman.

"Scott--"

"I know what you're thinking, and I agree. We're already under scrutiny, but I will have to talk to her about this. And the mayor." He thinned his lips in an awkward smile. "I won't mention your name. I promise."





You must login () to review.