Ororo forced her smile. This was becoming all too frustrating and she wasn’t sure when it would end. “...Just moved here and I think he’s great,” Jean finished. She blocked Ororo from the door and chewed her lower lip. “I know you’re not excited--”

“No kidding, Jean. You know I hate when you set me up on dates: We literally never match. Who was the last guy... Kurt?”

“Hey, Kurt liked you. And you guys are friends!” she argued.

“Yes, both things are true but my point still stands.” Ororo palmed her face. The girl was helpful to a fault, and the fault was how it became annoying so quickly. Some people pushed and Jean was a pusher. It was all done from love but sometimes Ororo wished Jean loved her less. Or would listen better! “I’m just not in the mood for this.”

Jean squeezed Ororo’s wrist, getting Ororo’s attention back. Ororo peeked through her fingers; Jean gave her a kind look. “I wasn’t planning on doing this. Honest. I know you hate blind dates, but I’m doing this not only for the guy, but Scott as well.” Jean glanced over her shoulder, finger waved at her husband, then looked back. “I hate to say this, but Scott doesn’t have a many friends. And I think I know why.”

Ororo dropped her hand to her hip, unsure of what to say. “We work long hours, Jean...”

“You work long hours yet you still have friends,” Jean pointed out. She looked down. “I think it’s because Scott can be a dick sometimes.” She missed Ororo sucking her lip into her mouth to keep from laughing. “I feel horrible saying that, but he’s just very... focused. And it comes across poorly at times.”

Ororo struggled with the smile on her face. Jean could be described in many ways, but dishonest wasn’t one of them. She was always usually very upfront about things, though she always tried to soften the blow. It was sweet, but this was way too hilarious. “But how do I fit into this?” Ororo asked, refocusing.

“Well, I asked Scott to hang out with Hank, but he claimed he was ‘busy’ with ‘work,’” Jean said, making air quotes, “and I got tired of it. He needs more friends. He can’t just text us-- I’m his wife and you’re my best friend.”

“I can still be friends with Scott,” Ororo laughed.

“I mean, yeah. You have to!” She put up her hands, her wedding band catching light. “He’s got maybe three friends. If you stopped texting him, barbecues and hangouts would become really awkward. So, I thought... Maybe if I set you up with Hank, it wouldn’t be so hard to get Scott to click. And look,” Jean turned around, “they’re laughing.”

Ororo watched Scott laugh with her date. She knew Jean was making up an excuse, but there was undeniable truth to what was said. Ororo felt guilted into more trouble than she wanted. “Buy me alcohol and I’ll be nice.”

“Yes, of course!” Jean threw her arms around Ororo and squeezed. “Thanks, Roro. This means a lot.”

“Yeah, whatever. Be thankful it’s bad luck to deny pregnant women.” Ororo opened the door to the diner and stepped inside. Scott and the mystery man had been waiting just inside. “Hey, Scott. Hello... Hank?”

“Well, Henry, but Hank works just as well.” He stuck out his hand and Ororo marveled at how hirsute he was. He shook her hand, the grip firm and his hand warm. “Your name is very interesting. Do you mind my asking its origin?”

“It’s African. I’m not entirely sure from which country.” Ororo took her hand from his and looked past him. “So where are we sitting? Do you know?” she asked Scott.

Scott pointed his thumbs over his shoulder. “Yeah; right this way.”


The date went well, something that shocked Ororo. Hank was a genius and his intellect really impressed Ororo. Their dinner was only supposed to be an hour, but it somehow dragged on for two and a trip to get ice cream in a very particular part of town. (Jean claimed cravings.) She just couldn’t stop talking to Hank, and when he spoke, she was even more loath to leave. He was just so... interesting. Scott and Hank exchanged numbers when Jean claimed she felt sick. Ororo believed it, but a part of her knew Jean was lying to get Hank some one-on-one time.

“This was fun,” Hank said in the middle of their conversation. He poked his spoon into his ice cream and looked up at Ororo. “You’re very intelligent, Ororo. I don’t understand why you’re a grey suit.”

Ororo grinned. “You say it like it’s a bad thing.” Hank put his hands up in defense and Ororo tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “I know politicos aren’t always respected. Most people think we’re just trying to crush the little guy, but I got into politics to help the little guy.”

“Really?” Hank put his spoon down. “How does that work?”

“Well,” she began, “everyone needs a helping hand. A platform. I am that platform.”

Hank smirked. “How noble. A modern day knight.”

“Hey!” Ororo poked him with her spoon and feigned indignation. “My armor is far more fashionable.” She giggled and brushed her bangs out of the way. She reminded herself to get a trim this week. In the back of her mind, she became acutely aware that some jerk kid was staring at her hair. “But I do think my work is noble.”

“Ah, yes,” Hank agreed. “Fighting off the press with legal jargon and confusing questions. Have you blamed any unrelated party recently?”

“You know those meddlesome hippies are always to blame for tax hikes.” Ororo’s phone buzzed and she quickly grabbed at it. She looked at Hank, repentant. “Habit.” Hank nodded, unbothered. It was Jean, asking if they had made out yet. Ororo rolled her eyes. She swore that redhead was still thirteen at heart. She saw the time and her eyes bulged. “Wow, it’s late.”

Hank looked at his watch. “Huh. It is. Time flies when you’re having fun.” He glanced at her nervously and Ororo couldn’t help but feel a little flattered.

“It does.” She rose. “Come on. I’ll walk you to your car.”

Hank put a hand to his chest and swooned. “A knight, indeed,” he said, his voice in a falsetto. Ororo laughed and gently shoved him. That nagging only got more persistent. She turned her head and glared, but the kid was looking at his friends. The little punk.

When they got to his sedan, they were faced with that awkward pause. She wasn’t sure how to proceed and Hank was beginning to chatter on nervously. She wondered if he was going to bone up the courage to ask her out again, or was she going to have to come out with it. “This was fun, Ororo,” Hank finally concluded.

“I couldn’t agree more,” she said softly.

“Maybe we could... do it again sometime.” Ororo sucked in a deep breath. “As friends?” he quickly covered, disappointment in his tone.

“Hank,” she started, putting a hand on his forearm, “this won’t make much sense, but I recently did something very stupid and it left me really... annoyed. It wasn’t anything too dramatic, but I’m not really in the mood for dating just yet.”

“Oh.” He thought it over. “Am I allowed to ask who was the moron who ruined it for me?”

Ororo should’ve been offended, but the way Hank said it made her smile. And she was just so relieved she could finally tell someone. She wanted to tell Marie, but now that Logan would be working with the mayor, there could be a conflict of interest. And Jean and Scott were always going to stay far removed from the situation. Her pride kept her from telling any of her other friends.

“I signed up on a dating website and it was just a horrible experience. I won't name names.” How could she? The world was getting way too small and she didn't know if Hank knew Logan.

Hank’s eyes widened. “I know what you mean.”

“Really?” asked Ororo, excited. “What happened?”

“My date turned out to be the exact opposite of who she said she was,” Hank huffed. He eyed her. “It’s a common occurrence and I shouldn’t have been so shocked, but it still really hurt. So I understand if you’re a little... jaded.” He gave her a confident look. “I don’t mind waiting. Especially not for you.”

Ororo tinkered a laugh and hugged Hank, doing away with any unfamiliarities. “Jean gave you my number so you’d better call.” She hoisted her purse higher on her shoulder and stepped away. “Have a great night, Hank.”

“You don’t want me walking you to your car?” he suddenly asked.

Ororo waved him off. “I’m a knight, remember?” She pointed at the full parking lot. “And I’m right there. No big deal.” She turned on her heel and began walking. She turned back around when she felt him staring. “Night!” she waved, feeling much better.

She wasn’t alone. Someone else had been duped by someone else. It was a relief. She opened her purse and took out her keys. Maybe she would tell Marie. It was a relief letting someone know, but the burden was still there. Maybe talking about it more would help her move on. But then again, she didn’t want to sound whiny. She shrugged. Life was too short to not vent every now and then.

She could feel Hank still staring so she turned around and waved.

He’d already pulled off.

For a moment, Ororo literally froze. If someone was watching her, chances were that they’d stay away. Not everyone who looked actually approached Ororo, and she was used to getting stares. Her brown skin and white hair drew attention no matter where she went. She was instantly reminded of that punk kid in the ice cream shop and relaxed. The teen was maybe a buck twenty soaking wet.

Chuckling to herself, she continued walking towards her car. The staring was still there, but now that Ororo had an idea of who her adversary was, she was much more relaxed. When he actually stepped out from behind a lamp post, she was surprised, but not panicking.

“Hey,” he started. Ororo gave him a condescending look, and kept walking. This little boy could not have been serious!

And then she heard his footsteps. “Hey, lady, I’m talking to you!” Ororo continued on, a little anxious, but her car was maybe fifty feet away. “Hey!”

“I know you hear my friend talking to you.”

Ororo swallowed and stopped. This was escalating quickly and she knew that if she didn’t address the stupid kids, it would only get worse. Survival class always said to fight back, so fight back she would. “I’m not deaf. I heard you. I didn’t respond because I don’t talk to little kids.” She glanced at her wrist watch. “Don’t you kids have curfews?”

“I don’t know, grandma, do I?” asked the first kid nastily.

“Grandma,” Ororo repeated. “You’re talking about my hair, aren’t you? Clever. Must’ve taken more brain cells than you have. I’ll get going now-- to help give your mind a rest?” she turned again, only to bump into the second kid. How did he move so quietly?

“You’re way too fit to be someone’s grandma. And that purse ain’t something most grandmas would have.” He reached for it; Ororo pulled it away. The first kid, now standing behind her, grabbed it. Ororo stumbled, and the second laughed. “Easy! We don’t want her falling. She might break her hip!”

“That’s it!” Ororo snarled. She slammed her foot down on the first kid’s inner step, then threw her elbow into his stomach. By the time the second kid reacted, the first kid was doubled over and groaning. She curled her hand into a fist and cracked it against the second kid’s nose. Blood began gushing out and Ororo suddenly felt grateful for those extra hours at the gym.

The first kid grabbed Ororo’s hair and yanked hard. She let out a yell, then reached back to scratch at the hand. Her heart pounded faster when the second kid held his nose and reached into his pocket, a wild look in his eyes. Ororo kicked out, hitting him in the groin, then struggled with the first kid.

A second loud crack brought the first kid down.

Ororo held her head, looking up at her helper.

“You alright?”

“Yeah,” Ororo huffed, her hands on her knees. She touched her head and groaned. “He ripped some of my hair out.”

“That’s what you’re concerned about?” asked Logan. “You were nearly mugged.” He gently took her shoulder and placed another on her waist, helping her stand upright.

“I had it under control.” Her head throbbed and her fist felt bruised. “You little cretins!” she shouted at their retreating forms. “‘I’ll remember your faces!” Logan chuckled, his hand still on her waist. She looked at it as though it was offending her. “What’re you even doing here? Stalking me?”

“This was pure chance,” he said, not at all bothered. He stepped back and began picking up the little miscellaneous items that fell from her purse. She owned a lot of pens. He was instantly reminded of their meeting, but he was already thinking about bringing it up. “Not like Monday.”

“No, not all,” she said huffed. She thanked him and quickly put her pens away. “Speaking of which, I think it would be nice to... get things straightened out.”

“Yeah, yeah.” He cleared his throat. “I acted like an ass on our date and I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable, but I did. And I won’t try and make up excuses, but I do want you to know I’m sorry.” He looked at Ororo, waiting.

She narrowed her eyes, assessing him. It was a decent apology-- not perfect, but decent. And anyways, she just wanted to get home and pass out. This night went from being bad, to great, to terrible. Being around Logan for more than twenty seconds of her own free will was exhausting. “Okay.” She turned on her heel and began closing the distance between herself and her car.

“Okay?” Logan repeated, his voice exasperated. “You don’t forgive me?”

“Why is it important that I do? I’m more than capable of acting professionally around you,” she called over her shoulder. Logan grabbed her elbow and adrenaline made her slap him. She gasped and clapped her hands over her mouth, freaked. “Oh, Logan! I’m so sorry! I was just--”

“Okay,” he interrupted, holding his red jaw and glaring at her.

Her apology died at his words. She slacked her jaw and raised a brow. “Wow. Okay, then,” she mocked. She turned around to start walking, then turned around again. “No, you know what: I’m not sorry. You grabbed me after I got into a fight with muggers. I’m not guilty.”

Logan gave her a wild look. “What the hell is wrong with you? Why’re you so goddamn difficult?” he snarled. He stepped back. “I’m trying to be nice but you are not making this any easier. You’re the same bitch I met at that coffee shop.”

“I’m glad to hear it! Why would I waste my precious time on someone so hotheaded and disgusting?”

“Hotheaded? You’re the one yelling at me in a fucking parking lot!” Logan shook his head once and threw his hands up. “I don’t fight with women,” he said, his voice calmer.

“I’d call you a sexist but that would almost be too generous a term for you,” she snarled. She turned again and walked towards her car. When he continued following her, she turned back around. “Quit. Following. Me.”

“You’re parked next to me,” he snarled. “And even with a body and face like yours, your attitude is just about the biggest boner killer I’ve ever come across.” He reached into his pocket and grabbed his keys. “No wonder you were on that site.”

Ororo narrowed her eyes and faced him. “What?” She hated that he said it; she was already embarrassed that she was on it herself.

Logan leaned in close. “No normal man would wanna spend longer than ten seconds in your company.”

“You were on it, too, short stop,” she bit. “I guess that says something about you.”

“Short stop?” Logan scoffed. “My height didn’t stop you from messaging me.”

“It’s called a mistake. Look it up.”

“I have and your picture and cheesy biography is right there with it!” he shouted. He caught her wrist before it connected with his cheek a second time. He spun her around and slammed her back against his truck door. Her knees buckled, giving him the advantage of being able to tower over her. “I don’t fight women, but I damn sure won’t let myself get hit for telling the truth.”

“Fuck you,” she spat.

He flicked his eyes over her face. “Yeah, you wanted to.” He heard her breathing hitch and he traced his thumb over her wrist. He slid his eyes over her body and felt regret that wouldn’t go further. He stepped back and smirked. Just because he hadn’t been dating didn’t mean he stopped having sex; Remy and Piotr just assumed. And even if he had been “out of commission” for a while, he would still be able to tell when a woman was aroused.

Ororo Munroe was definitely aroused. Her pupils were dilated, her eyelashes fluttered. But the kiss she planted on him was a pretty clear sign as well.

It was a little shocking, but apparently she was full of surprises.

His hands slid down her waist, to settle on the curve of her backside. He pressed his front forward and she made a small noise in the back of her throat. Her arms wrapped around his neck, pulling him in closer. When he broke away to get some kind of answer, she latched onto his throat, sucking hard. He groaned, squeezing her. They were an unlikely pair, and he hated her guts, but she knew what he liked. His cock swelled in his pants.

She moved from his neck, planting kisses along his jawline. Logan reached down and hooked her leg over his thigh. He wasn’t sure where this was going, or why this was even happening, but he’d be damned if he stopped it. “Christ, darlin,” he groaned. He put a hand on her hip and another on her butt, guiding her to grind against him. When she did, it was almost too perfect. He needed to get some control over the situation.

He caught her mouth and heard her moan into the kiss. The arms around his neck tightened and she began rocking faster, as though searching for her own release. The thought drove Logan crazy and he pressed her against the doorframe even more firmly than before. His erection strained against his zipper. He really didn’t give a damn if they had sex outside, he was so ready.

He didn’t, but apparently a couple nearby did. “Hey! Get a room!” they shouted. There were several laughs and Logan was thankful he wasn’t fourteen anymore.

Ororo stopped immediately. She pushed him away and looked at him wide eyed. And dammit, but she looked really cute flustered. “Oh, no,” she said softly.

“Hey,” Logan said calmly, touching her wrist. “Ororo--”

“No, stop.” She jerked her arm away. “Uh, God, this is bad.” She grabbed her keys quickly and opened her car door. Logan, who for some inexplicable reason, kept calling after her, trying to get her to stay. Instead, she quickly pulled out of the parking lot, making Logan feel weird. Like he’d failed. Like he’d lost something.

He forced himself to shrug it off.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry it's a little longer, but I write these on the fly and this is what my inspiration was going with. Also! WHO LOVES WHEN WOMEN FIGHT BACK? (note the use of helper and not savior because I'm sick of reading about dudes "saving.") Sorry for the cliffhanger, but you'll find out what happens in like 24 hours.





You must login () to review.