Author's Note: I haven't sent these to my beta because I'm getting really lazy (sorry Marbles!) so forgive any mistakes. Also- I'm speeding up the timelines to get the story rolling. I left hints about the changes but if you're confused I'll fix these. Sorry for this being late!


Logan decided to stay late in his trailer, getting some paperwork done. He found that working with the mayor and the city meant more paperwork than he was used to. It wasn’t anything difficult-- he had to write up his day, what was done, how much what cost, and sign his name-- but it was so tedious. He yawned, looking at the little wall clock. It was only six. He groaned, rubbing his neck to work out the tension.

“This is ridiculous,” he muttered, reading over his report. He looked at the stack of papers on his desk and vaguely wondered what he was doing with his life. How in the hell could someone go into a field of work they genuinely enjoy and still hate it so much? He looked around his trailer, feeling cooped. He wanted to go for a walk... Hell, even a drive would do!- just so long as he got out of the stupid trailer. But he was stuck until he finished. He needed a distraction.

His hand was dialing the mayor’s office before he realized it.

“Hello, you’ve reached the mayor’s office. Unfortunately he’s out now, can I take a message?” answered a southern voice.

“Uh, hey. This is Logan--”

“Oh, hey, sug. How’re you?” she asked, her voice pepping up. “Remy told me about the other night. Proud of you. Ororo would eat you alive if you didn’t try to respect.”

Logan felt nervous. He’d hadn’t told Remy about the sex, but he was positive the swamp rat knew. Logan switched the phone from one ear to the other. “Right. Glad to hear Remy’s putting my personal shit out there,” he joked, hoping to distract the conversation. “Anyways, is she in? I need to talk to her.”

“Yeah, she works late almost every night. You’d think you’d know that by now,” she hummed. Remy definitely said something. Logan was gonna choke the bastard. “Gimme a moment.”

After a brief pause, there was a click on the other line. “Munroe speaking,” she said automatically.

“Uh, hey, darlin.” Logan grabbed at some of the papers on his desk, ready to deliver his lines. “I had something to ask you.”

“I would imagine so,” she said sardonically. “What’s your question?”

“Just some numbers I wanted to let you know about.”

She sighed. “If you really want to go over numbers, ask Scott. He’s better at it than I am.”

“You told me you worked in the treasury department,” Logan reminded. One random conversation, Logan got her to reveal a little about her past as a politico. It wasn’t interesting, but Logan made sure to remember. “So?”

She sighed again. He imaged she looked at her wristwatch and put down whatever ball point pen she was holding. Christ, he was getting weird. He was remembering her mannerism. He rationalized it-- they’d been getting lunches together more often. Ever since Logan became her technical employee, he made sure to be nice to his technical boss. Yeah. It was just to make sure his job was always secured.

“I’m not... What’s the problem, Logan? I’m busy and I don’t have time for this,” she said hurriedly, her voice tinged with annoyance.

“I just wanna make sure you’re paying the right amount for all the material. I wanted to get a second opinion--”

“A second opinion?” she scoffed. She blew out air. “You’re in charge of this, Logan. I can give you the number of my friend down there-- Kitty Pryde; she’s great with numbers-- but I do not have the time nor the patience for this--”

“Long day?” Logan asked.

“Yes, and you’re making it longer. I’m trying to field a press storm so this isn’t exactly helping.” There was the soft sound of ruffling paper. “I’ve got her number. Do you have a pen?”

“Why don’t you give it to me in person?” asked Logan. “I’ll take you to dinner.”

“Logan, I am really--”

“My treat,” he added. “Don’t make me ask twice.”




Ororo traced the rim of her wine glass, chattering endlessly about the day she had. Logan paid attention and asked questions whenever she paused to chew. A part of him was genuinely interested-- she had a job that required nerves of steel and it was fascinating-- but the other half wanted to ask about her interests. Logan hated how he didn’t know what to do when she was involved.

Women who could catch him on his toes were always trouble, and she was definitely trouble. Hell, their first few meetings Logan couldn’t decide whether he wanted to fight her or fuck her. Since doing both he just wanted to know her.

“Anyways,” she sighed, “I’ll figure something out.” She stabbed her fork into her pasta and looked at him, smiling. “How was your day?”

Damn, she looked breath taking in the low light. He sat straighter. He needed to get his shit together because he wasn’t a big romantic. “Just as shitty as yours. Well, not as shitty, but definitely worth crap.” He wrapped noodles around his fork and grimaced. “I actually don’t wanna talk about work. Reminds me I still have a stack of paperwork to do.”

“Amen,” she mumbled, raising her wine glass. Logan smirked, tapping his glass of water against her glass. “What do you wanna talk about?” she mocked, using the same intonations as him.

He rolled his eyes. “Stop. You’re not an actress, so quit tryin’ to be one.”

“I’ve never acted a day in my life,” she argued. “And I think I’ve got you spot on. I’ve been practicing.”

“You’ve been practicing,” he deadpanned.

“And I think it was close. I should’ve added more grunts and growls. Would’ve sounded exactly like you.” She winked at him, tossing silver hair over her shoulder.

Before Logan could make a proper retort, someone called her name. Logan looked up and saw a hairy man with bright blue eyes practically bound towards her.

“Hank?” She rose, opening her arms. “How are you? What’re you doing here?” she asked. She wrapped her arms around his body, shooting Logan a strained look.

He squeezed her then moved in for a kiss. Ororo quickly turned, giving him her cheek. When he pulled away, he was still smiling. “I came to pick up a quick dinner.” He lifted his plastic bag for emphasis, then noticed Logan. “Hello there.”

“I’m Logan--”

“This is Logan. From work.” She stepped aside and motioned for him to stand. He did obediently, though it felt weird. “He works on the construction project.”

“Ah, you’re the man fixing the schools.” Hank extended his large hand. “It’s a genuine pleasure to meet you. Especially since you and Ororo seem... close.” He shook Logan’s hand, tightening the grip. “Is this a friendly dinner? You’ve barely touched your food, Ororo, my dear.” He looked at her. “Maybe you’re unwell. You are drinking and you know how that makes you.”

Ororo narrowed her eyes at him. “Logan is just a friend from work.”

Logan’s face stayed flat.





You must login () to review.